Subject: [Mobike] Protocol Action: 'IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming Protocol (MOBIKE)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:17:42 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming Protocol (MOBIKE) '
   <draft-ietf-mobike-protocol-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobike-protocol-08.txt

Technical Summary

  This document describes MOBIKE, a mobility and multihoming extension
  to Internet Key Exchange (IKEv2).  This protocol allows hosts to
  update the IP addresses associated with IKEv2 and tunnel mode IPsec
  Security Associations.  A mobile VPN client could use MOBIKE to keep
  the connection with the VPN gateway active while moving from one
  address to another.  Similarly, a multihomed host could use MOBIKE to
  move the traffic to a different interface if, for instance, the one
  currently being used stops working.

Working Group Summary

  The document has been presented at several IETF WG meetings and been
  discussed extensively on the MOBIKE WG mail list.  The document has
  been reviewed by a number of experts from different areas.  The WG
  Last Call resulted in a fairly large number of issues, which indicates
  that many people took the time to review the document.  Comment
  resolution resulted in few (maybe just one) changes that affects the
  on-the-wire protocol.  All WG Last Call issues are addressed in the
  current version of the document.  An issue tracker was used by the WG
  during design and protocol specification.  There is consensus in the
  MOBIKE WG to publish this document as a proposed standard.

Protocol Quality

  The basic concepts in MOBIKE are very straightforward.  The hardest
  parts of the protocol involve the co-existence with IKEv2 NAT-
  Traversal features and the use of the IKEv2 communication channel for
  dynamically changing messages and addresses.  Also, MOBIKE is only a
  part of an overall solution.  For example, MOBIKE relies on the IP
  layer to detect when this node gets a new IP address.

  Contributors and reviewers include experts in IPsec, mobility, NAT
  traversal, and IKEv2 implementation.

  No known implementations exist at this time.

  MOBIKE is currently being referenced from one other IETF WG and one
  external SDO.

  This specification is part of the early RFC Editor copy editing
  experiment, and it has already gone through basic editing phase prior
  to WG Last Call.  The specification authors used XML2RFC, which was a
  requirement for taking part in the experiment.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike