Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Call for Papers: MobiCom 2000

From: "Samir R. Das" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 0100 12:49:52 -0600

[Our apologies for any duplicate transmissions]

                   Announcement and Call for Papers

                             MobiCom 2000
             The Sixth Annual International Conference on
                   Mobile Computing and Networking

                          August 6-11, 2000
               Seaport Hotel at the World Trade Center
                     Boston, Massachusetts, USA

                      Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE
           In cooperation with ACM SIGCOMM and SIGMETRICS;
                     IEICE (Japan) and IFIP WG 6.3

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
         Visit http://www.research.telcordia.com/mobicom2000/
                   for the most up-to-date information
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

MobiCom 2000  is   the sixth of  an   annual  series  of international
conferences dedicated  to  addressing the  challenges  in wireless and
mobile computing, communications and networking.  By bringing together
researchers, practitioners,  and visionaries from  all over the world,
MobiCom  provides  an  environment where   ideas  flow  freely between
individuals instrumental in shaping the world of tomorrow.  MobiCom is
a highly   selective conference  where  the  quality of its  technical
program is  ensured by an outstanding technical  program committee.  A
number of social and technical events, such as  speeches by leaders in
the  field, panels  on  timely and controversial  issues, tutorials on
basic and advanced topics, and workshops focused on pressing issues of
the day, provide  ample  opportunities   for learning  and  exchanging
information between users, providers, and researchers.

MobiCom 2000 will  be held  at the  Seaport  Hotel at the  World Trade
Center, located on Boston's historic waterfront.

TECHNICAL PAPERS:
Technical   papers  describing original,  previously unpublished,  and
completed research, not currently  under review by another  conference
or journal, are solicited on the following topics:

    o  Applications and computing services supporting mobile users
    o  Architectures, protocols, and algorithms to cope with mobility,
       limited bandwidth, or intermittent connectivity
    o  Database and data management issues in mobile computing
    o  Performance of mobile/wireless networks and systems
    o  Security and privacy of mobile/wireless networks and systems
    o  Interaction between different layers of mobile/wireless systems
    o  Integration and interworking of wired and wireless networks
    o  Adaptive applications and systems for mobile environments
    o  Distributed-system aspects of mobile systems
    o  Operating system support for mobility
    o  Location-dependent applications
    o  Wireless multimedia systems
    o  Power management
    o  Mobile agents

All papers will be refereed by the program committee.  Accepted papers
will be published in the conference proceedings.  Papers of particular
merit will   be proposed for publication   in the ACM/Baltzer Wireless
Networks  (WINET) and    Mobile   Networks and   Applications  (MONET)
journals.

*** NOTE *** SPECIAL PAPERS FOR CHALLENGES SESSION:
MobiCom solicits  short  papers (8   pages max.)   that challenge  the
mobile  computing  community   with   new technologies  or   visionary
applications.  Such papers should provide stimulating ideas or visions
that  may  open  up exciting   avenues  of mobile computing  research.
Papers will be   reviewed and should  be  submitted using the   normal
procedure.   However,  the  papers  should  be  clearly  identified as
intended for the Challenges session.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
All paper submissions  will be handled electronically.  Authors should
prepare a  PostScript or  Portable  Document Format (PDF)   version of
their full paper.  Papers must meet the following restrictions:
   o No longer than 15 pages (8 pages for Challenges papers).
   o Fit properly on US Letter-sized paper (8.5x11 inches).
   o PostScript version 2 or later, or Portable Document Format (PDF).
   o Use only Computer Modern or  standard Adobe printer fonts  (i.e.,
     Courier, Times, Roman, or Helvetica). Other fonts may be used but
     must be included in the PostScript/PDF file.

All submitted  papers will  be judged  based on their  quality through
double-blind    reviewing,  where  the  identities of  the authors are
withheld  from  the  reviewers.  Authors' names must not appear in the
paper or in the PostScript/PDF file.

Exact   submission     procedures     will    be      available   from
http://www.research.telcordia.com/mobicom2000/ by December  17,  1999.
Please  direct  any questions  about  the submission   process  to the
Program  Co-Chairs,   Ramon   Caceres     ([email-masked]) and
J.J.   Garcia-Luna ([email-masked]).  Paper   submission deadline  is
February 18, 2000.

TUTORIALS:
Proposals  for tutorials are  solicited.  Evaluation of proposals will
be based on the  expertise and experience of  the instructors, and  on
the relevance  of the subject  matter.  Tutorial topics that encompass
the systems aspects  of mobile computing and/or  practical experiences
in building/deploying such    systems  are  of  particular   interest.
Potential  instructors are requested to  submit a tutorial proposal of
at  most 5  pages, including a  biographical  sketch, to the  Tutorial
Co-Chairs,  Venkat  Padmanabhan   ([email-masked])  and  Nigel
Davies ([email-masked]), by February 18, 2000.

PANELS:
Panels  are solicited   that  examine  innovative, controversial,   or
otherwise provocative issues of interest.   Panel proposals should not
exceed  3  pages, including  biographical   sketches of the panelists.
Potential   panel organizers should  send   the proposal to the Panels
Co-Chairs,   Pravin  Bhagwat ([email-masked])  and Andrew Campbell
([email-masked]), by Februray 21, 2000.

RESEARCH DEMOS:
Informal proposals for research demos  are solicited.  Proposals  will
be reviewed and  selection made based on value   to the community  and
interest   level for the conference.   Proposals   should not exceed 3
pages and should  include: the focus  area in mobility, such as mobile
networks, applications, interfaces  etc., the technologies involved in
the research,  specific  equipments to  be  used  for  the  demo, demo
layout, space  required to set  up the demo  and possible interactions
(interoperability) with other proposed demonstrations (e.g., Mobile IP
implementations).  Send proposals to  the Demo Chair:  Ronald Hutchins
([email-masked]).

BEST STUDENT PAPER AWARD:
Papers with a  student as a  primary author  will be considered  for a
cash award of $500 US Dollars for  the best student paper competition.
Student authors must clearly indicate  with their submission that they
would like to be considered for this award.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DATES:
       Paper submissions due:       February 18, 2000
       Notification of acceptance:     April 28, 2000
       Camera-ready version due:         May 26, 2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Send email to [email-masked] with any questions or
comments about the conference or  for more information.  This Call For
Papers   and other   MobiCom   2000  information  are   available from
http://www.research.telcordia.com/mobicom2000/.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

General Chair:
       Raymond Pickholtz, George Washington University

General Vice Chair:
       Sajal K. Das, University of Texas at Arlington

Program Co-Chairs:
       Ramon Caceres, AT&T Labs
       J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, University of California at Santa Cruz

Steering Committee Chair:
       Imrich Chlamtac, University of Texas at Dallas

Tutorials Co-Chairs:
       Nigel Davies, Lancaster University, UK
       (currently at Sony US Research Labs)
       Venkat Padmanabhan, Microsoft Research

Panels Co-Chairs:
       Pravin Bhagwat, IBM Watson Research
       Andrew Campbell, Columbia University

Research Demos Chair:
       Ronald Hutchins, Georgia Institute of Technology

Workshops Chair:
       Jason Redi, BBN Technologies

Local Arrangements Co-Chairs:
       Rajesh Krishnan, BBN Technologies
       John Zavgren, BBN Technologies

Publicity Co-Chairs:
       Kwang-Cheng Chen, National Taiwan University
       Samir R. Das, University of Texas at San Antonio
       Ashutosh Dutta, Telcordia Technologies

Registration Chair:
       Irene Katzela, University of Toronto

Finance Chair:
       David B. Johnson, Carnegie Mellon University

Industry Exhibits/Sponsorships Chair:
       Andrew Campbell, Columbia University

European Liaison:
       Adam Wolisz, Technical University, Berlin

Asia/Pacific Liaisons:
       K.-C. Chua, National University of Singapore
       Hiroyuki Morikawa, University of Tokyo, Japan

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

Arup Acharya                IBM Research
Ian Akyildiz                Georgia Tech
B. Badrinath                Rutgers University
Victor Bahl                 Microsoft Research
Mary Baker                  Stanford University
Hari Balakrishnan           MIT
Stefano Basagni             University of Texas at Dallas
Pravin Bhagwat              IBM Research
Vaduvur Bharghavan          University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Andrew Campbell             Columbia University
Scott Corson                University of Maryland
Sajal Das                   University of Texas at Arlington
Nigel Davies                Lancaster University (currently at Sony US)
Dan Duchamp                 AT&T Labs
Metin Feridun               IBM Research
Armando Fox                 Stanford University
Mario Gerla                 University of California, Los Angeles
Zygmunt Haas                Cornell University
Tomasz Imielinski           Rutgers University
Ravi Jain                   Telcordia
David Johnson               Carnegie Mellon University
Anthony Joseph              University of California, Berkeley
Tom LaPorta                 Lucent
Venkat Padmanabhan          Microsoft Research
Charles Perkins             Nokia Research Center
Chiara Petrioli             Politecnico di Milano
George Polyzos              University of California, San Diego
Ramesh Rao                  University of California, San Diego
Ram Ramanathan              BBN Technologies
Jason Redi                  BBN Technologies
Christopher Rose            Rutgers University
M. Satyanarayanan           Carnegie Mellon University
Srini Seshan                IBM Research
Adarshpal Sethi             University of Delaware
Martha Steenstrup           BBN Technologies
Roy Want                    Xerox PARC