Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Cellular IP for Private Network Access

From: Yingchun Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:42:51 -0600

It seems that Cellular IP has limitation for Private Network Access. During
private network access,
conflicted Mobile Node IP addresses may be assigned which will cause the failure
 of IP packet forwarding.
Tunneling Based Protocol for MicroMobility Management will not have the issue
since MN IP packets are wrapped.

Any comments?

--Yingchun.

---

From: Phil Karn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:38:02 -0800

>conflicted Mobile Node IP addresses may be assigned which will cause the failure

I don't know what this means. I do know from personal observation how
Sprint PCS's wireless web service is set up, though. PPP gives you an
address on network 10, and routes you through a bidirectional NAT in
Kansas City. I.e., the NAT assigns you a routable address and
translates between that and your network 10 address without any port
translation.

This forces you to run Mobile IP with tunneling in both directions if
you want to give your mobile computer a predictable routable address.

Is this what you had in mind?

Phil

---

From: Zoltan Richard Turanyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:50:28 +0100

> since MN IP packets are wrapped.

When two mobile hosts with private home addresses move into the same
network, possibly encapsulation is the only plausible way to prevent an
address clash. Tunneling can also be used in a Cellular IP network for
hosts that have private addresses. One advantage of Cellular IP is that
you have to use encapsulation only in such cases.

When you talk about "Tunneling Based Protocol for MicroMobility
Management" do you refer to a specific protocol or just tunneling based
approaches in general?

/Zoltan