Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Cellular IP for Private Network Access

From: "Lipford, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:28:46 -0600

Phil,

I will not get into a discussion of the validity of NDA related issues (see
person e-mail to you).  I will point out that if you are having issues
connecting your Linus machine to the Internet from our CDMA network you AND
you are doing it via the 3Com QNC technology there is a very simple
explanation why you are having trouble.  We currently DO NOT offer this
service.  The only services we offer using QNC is via the built-in
microbrowser.  We are working of developing a product that will allow direct
access to the Internet and are working to put the appropriate back-end
equipment into place.  Once we have the network ready for the service then
we will announce and launch the product.  So I would argue that your
description is not accurate.

Regards

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Phil Karn [mailto:[email-masked]]
                Sent:   Friday, January 07, 2000 2:33 AM
                To:     [email-masked]
                Subject:        Re: [MOBILE-IP] Cellular IP for Private
Network Access

                >Sprint PCS would ask that the design of our network not be
discussed over
                >ANY public mail list.  There are issues with NDA that we do
not want to have
                >remind these companies of.  Please stop this thread with
this email!

                My description of Sprint PCS's packet data service was based
totally
                on my personal observations using my personally-owned phone,
a data
                cable and a laptop running Linux. ANY Sprint PCS user who
knows how to
                use standard Linux/UNIX networking tools such as pppd,
netstat and
                traceroute can easily discern the very same information in a
few
                minutes. It can hardly be considered proprietary.

                If my description is no longer accurate, I would appreciate
any
                corrections you might make. I stopped using the service when
my first
                bill gave me sticker shock.

                Phil