Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] AAA functionality

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:32:00 -0800

All,

I really don't see this as a requirement, since it is really an implementation
issue. isn't it?

PatC
>Hello,
>
>I bring in my vote for the grace period...
>
>
>N. Asokan wrote:
>>
>> I think whether to allow free time or not is ultimately a policy issue.
>> Seems to me that we shouldn't devise a mechanism that precludes that
>> policy.
>
>
>I agree with Asokan, Patrik and others, that allowing the grace period
>is a policy issue. Furthermore, we should not forbid such liberal
>policies with our protocol design!
>Telcos may not like the possibility of using their network even for
>short periods of time. However, telcos are certainly not the only ones
>providing wireless services in the future. As someone pointed out
>earlier, the pure Ip accessibility may even not be the ultimate source
>for cash flows. I hope every university lab or airport lobby bar will be
>able to set up its own wireless AP and start providing access to the
>Internet. As the number of access provider increases, the number of
>"inter-domain" handoffs may significantly increase. I really do not want
>to mandate _everyone_ to disable the grace period and thus end up in
>rediculous latencies and unbearable glitches in the connections.
>
>
>Best regards,
>                Tom
>
>
>--
>        Tom Weckström           [email-masked]
>        Otakaari 20 B 39        Helsinki University of Technology
>        02150 Espoo             Department of Computer Science

---

From: Tom Weckström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:50:44 +0200

Hello,

> I really don't see this as a requirement, since it is really an implementation

To me, implementation issue is not the same as a policy issue. Policy
based decision is more flexible.

I can see two extreme scenarios:

1. We leave the grace period issue entirely as an implementation choice
and  future implementations fail in interops or at least fail to provide
fast "session" initialization times e.g. for VoIP calls.

2. We require a possibility to allow the grace period with configuration
or policy management and the future implementations are more
configurable and allow faster access initialization.

I do not see any possible implementational problem with this idea of
allowing the grace period.

One can ask, why should we not require the possibility to allow the
grace period?

One can _also_ ask why should we. I say we should, because the Internet
access initialization would be faster that way and there would be one
item less to confuse the implementors.

Regards,
         Tom