Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Cleanup of Mobile-IP milestones

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:51:00 -0800

co-chairs, AD and anyone else that cares,

I was on the WG web site, looking for some drafts, and for once I happen
to glance at the milestones. These milestones are really out of date, and
need to be updated.

Here is my proposal:

> Jul 96        Submit the IPv4 Mobile Host Protocol to the IESG as a Proposed
>               Standard.
Mark as done.

> Dec 96        Submit the IPv6 Mobile Host Protocol to the IESG as a Proposed
>               Standard.
Delete, since it is a duplicate entry.

> Mar 97        Review the WG charter and update as needed.
I assume that this task was completed, and therefore can be marked as done.

>Jun 99         Review the WG charter and update based on current needs and
>               focus.
See previous comment.

>Jun 99         Submit Internet-Draft for NAI support in Mobile IP to IESG for
>               consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Mark as done.

>Aug 99         Review the use of AAA in Mobile IP to support inter-domain and
>               intra-domain mobility and dynamic home agent assignment.
Is someone on the hook to get this done? Is this simply part of the AAA
requirements, and if so, then state it. It really isn't obvious. BTW, we missed
that deadline big time, let's pick another random completion date :)

>Dec 99         Submit draft on using AAA in Mobile IP for inter-domain and
>               intra-domain mobility as a proposed standard.
See previous comment.

>Dec 99         Submit draft capturing cellular requirements to IESG as an
>               Informational RFC.
I am not sure what this is. If we are talking about the joint Ericsson/Telia
draft, then this is GSM-specific, and does not take into account the TR45.6
work. In fact, the TR45.6 draft never actually became a WG work item. So we
have two choices, either 1) combine the GSM and CDMA draft, or 2) pick one
and cross our fingers. Option 1 is quite interesting, and is likely to
create a very tense political situation, but would be nonetheless entertaining
while 2) is useless (IMHO). The completion date also needs updating.

Oh, and it looks as if Raj's e-mail address needs updating on the web page
as well.

PatC

---

From: Eva Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 17:23:54 -0800

Hello Pat,

> while 2) is useless (IMHO).

Yes, this is about the Ericsson/Telia draft, and I don't consider it GSM-specific.
As a matter of fact, it lists general requirements on Mobile IP, not so much
cellular-specific, but requirements on Mobile IP as an access-independent
macro-mobility solution. As such, it is equally applicable to cdma2000.

If anyone wants to add requirements or aspects to the draft, I will be happy to
include them.

/Eva

Eva Gustafsson
Ericsson Inc.
1555 Adams Drive
Menlo Park, CA 94025
USA

+1 (510) 305-6107