Subject: [MOBILE-IP] IP address allocation and NAI

From: Parag Panse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:05:59 -0600

Hi,
I have two questions regarding dynamic IP address allocation for a mobile
node.
1. The NAI extension draft allows the MN's home address to be zero. This
would imply that as a part of the registration process the HA would issue
the MN an IP address. My question is at what point in time should the HA
take action to free this allocated IP address? One indication to free up
this address is when the MN's registration timer at the HA expires. However
as a part of the (implicit) de-registration process when the MN moves from
FA to HA, the timer is killed. In such an event how is the HA to free up the
IP address.

A side question is that if DHCP is to be used at the HA for IP address
allocation then once DHCP server allocates the address, who manages the
timer for the DHCP request? Is it the HA or the MN?

2. The NAI extension draft talks about what should be done at the FA.
However when an MN (having zero home address) boots up in it's home network,
there is no registration reqest sent. How should it's address allocation be
done?

Regards...
-Parag