Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Issues with draft-ietf-mobileip-3gwireless-ext-02 .txt

From: "Lipford, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 04:08:01 -0600

As one of the wireless carriers that are hoping to utilize this, and worked
to define out internal standards (TIA TR45.4 and 3GPP2 TSG-A), we are hoping
to utilize IETF "standards" in our deployment of our packet data services.

        ----------
        From:  Gopal Dommety [SMTP:[email-masked]]
        Sent:  Thursday, February 03, 2000 10:46 AM
        To:  [email-masked]
        Subject:  Re: [MOBILE-IP] Issues with
draft-ietf-mobileip-3gwireless-ext-02.txt

        Tony,

        > >         The new GRE draft talks about deprecating the Key field.
Would
        > > like  to know your thoughts  on having the key  field  in the
new GRE
        > > draft. This change will make the RP interface complient with the
new
        > > GRE draft/RFC.
        >
        > You should notice that while this field is deprecated, there is
nothing that says that
        > you can't continue to use it.  Your usage would simply be
compliant with the existing
        > RFCs, not with the proposed standard.

        I relized that we can use the key  field and be complient with
RFC1701
        but not with the  new proposed  standard.  The main motivation
behind
        this  email is to  see how we  can be complient  with the new
standard
        (Since RFC1701 is an informational RFC, some of the wireless
standards
        bodies would not like to reference it).

        Would appreciate if you give some insight into why the Key field was
        deprecated and what is needed to de-deprecate:) it?

        Regards,
        Gopal

        > Regards,
        > Tony