Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Issues with draft-ietf-mobileip-3gwireless-ext-02.txt (fwd)

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 07:22:31 -0800

Tony,

My understanding was that the Key field was deprecated due to a lack of
usage. Since we can now provide applications for the key field, can we
request that the IESG allow the field back in the proposed standard?

(btw, for what it's worth, PPTP also uses the key field).

PatC
>Gopal,
>
>
>>         This is regarding the new  GRE draft.  We are currently  using
>> the Key field (RFC1701) in an Interface referred to as RP that is used
>> in 3rd generation  wireless networks.  This  interface enables a large
>> part of the wireless network to  be IP based. This interface currently
>> uses the Key field of GRE.
>>
>>         The new GRE draft talks about deprecating the Key field. Would
>> like  to know your thoughts  on having the key  field  in the new GRE
>> draft. This change will make the RP interface complient with the new
>> GRE draft/RFC.
>
>You should notice that while this field is deprecated, there is nothing that
>says that
>you can't continue to use it.  Your usage would simply be compliant with the
>existing
>RFCs, not with the proposed standard.
>
>Regards,
>Tony