Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Terminology (was: [MOBILE-IP] charter update?)

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 12:38:35 -0800

Hi Pat,

>So, I would like to propose that we agree on some new terminology. I believe
>that we have: - Link Layer Mobility (Inter-BTS hand-off)
>- pick a name Mobility (inter-BSC hand-off)
>- Intra-Domain Mobility (Inter-MSC hand-off)
>- Inter-Domain Mobility (when the hand-off crosses a domain boundary)

I think this is a useful characterization, but I would be careful about
specifying in relation to physical elements in the current CDMA IS-95
networks.

The problem is that most RAN vendors do SDU/macrodiversity combining
at the BSC, but Lucent has a product that does it at the MSC. Hence,
specifying with relation to the physical location of the SDU/macrodiversity
function can be looked at as excluding the mapping of a particular
function to a particular physical implementation. I think
the relevent dividing line is where the macrodiversity combining is
occuring. It is that feature which determines whether mobile-IP
in its current form will work.

So I would say that the characterization should be:

Link Layer, or Micro, Mobility (currently) - multiple CDMA radio streams present
Macromobility - macrodiversity combining has been performed
...

                jak

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:20:24 -0800

Sigh.

Jim, my intention was not to get boggled down in cellular terminology, and
especially not in any particular vendor's implementation. If one
implementation doesn't respect the different levels below, then so be it. I am
trying to describe the various levels, assuming someone has created a truly
modular network.

That said, let's forget the cellular terminology, and rather concentrate on
the new terminology that we need to create.

PatC

> >that we have: - Link Layer Mobility (Inter-BTS hand-off) >- pick a name
> Mobility (inter-BSC hand-off) >- Intra-Domain Mobility (Inter-MSC hand-off)
> Link Layer, or Micro, Mobility (currently) - multiple CDMA radio streams
> present Macromobility - macrodiversity combining has been performed
> ...
>
>               jak
>