Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Combination of binding update and home address option in mobile IPv6

From: NMM van der Vlugt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:50:17 +0100

Hi all,

The binding update and de home address option are separated in mobile
IPv6. But the handling of a binding update requires a home address
option.
I see some implementation difficulties here. When a node is processing
all options, it has to store the home address and the contents of the
binding update options somewhere. It's not possible to process the
binding update option immediate because its processing depends on the
data in the home address option. There is now also an extra error
situation possibe: packet with a binding update option and no home
address option.

I think that it's more efficient to combine these two options. Or am I
missing something here? It's possible to keep the definition of the home
address option the same. The data that's now in a binding update option
can be defined as a sub option of the home address option. This
sub-option indicates that this is a binding update. This makes the
processing of the "binding update option" more efficient. The binding
cache can be updated immediate when the node processes this option. This
setup also eleminates one possible error situation in the protocol.

Marco