Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Open Research Position: Performance Prediction of Distributed/Parallel Applications

From: Thomas Fahringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:48:49 +0100

The Institute for Software Science at the
University of Vienna is offering within a
long-term research project a

    ********************************************************
    ***  Research Position in Performance Prediction of  ***
    ***     Distributed and Parallel Applications        ***
    ********************************************************

Applicants should have knowledge in one or more of the
following areas:

        + distributed and parallel systems
        + programming skills
            + distributed programming (Java)
            + parallel programming (OpenMP, HPF, MPI, threads, ...)
        + performance modeling (analytical + symbolic + simulation)
        + simulation tools (discrete event simulation)

Position: Research position for a doctoral student or a post-doc.

Starting Date: April 10, 2000

Duration: 3 years

Project Summary:

   The position is offered as part of a long-term research project
   about performance-oriented application development for parallel
   and distributed systems.

   The main task of this position requires to develop a performance
   prediction tool for heterogeneous, object-oriented multi-threaded
   parallel and distributed applications exploiting both data and
   task parallelism. These applications are executed on clusters
   of SMPs or on heterogeneous workstation networks.
   Analytical performance prediction will be used to determine
   parameterized cost functions for small reusable components of a
   parallel/distributed application. Parameters in cost functions
   reflect the problem sizes of an application and the machine sizes
   of a target architecture. Simulation will be used to model
   highly dynamic behavior of applications and architectures, in
   particular, data exchange, synchronization, thread context-switches,
   etc. The performance prediction tool computes various performance
   parameters including estimated execution and communication times,
   synchronization overhead, memory locality, load balance, etc.

For more information, please contact

        Thomas Fahringer ([email-masked])

=======================================================================
Thomas Fahringer, Ph.D.             Tel: (office): +43 1 310 56 08 - 86
Associate Professor                 Tel: (sec):    +43 1 310 56 08 - 71
University of Vienna                Fax: +43 1 310 56 08 - 88
Institute for Software Science      E-mail: [email-masked]
Liechtensteinstr. 22                WWW: http://www.par.univie.ac.at
A-1090 Vienna, Austria