Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] charter update?

From: "Lipford, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:24:17 -0600

I think the charter should be updated to support cellular specific
extensions.

Mark A. Lipford
Manager, Wireless Industry Standards - Data
Sprint PCS
8001 College Blvd.; Suite 210
Overland Park, KS  66210
(913) 664-8335 (office)
(913) 664-8440 (fax)
(913) 226-9060 (PCS)

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberts Phil-QA3445 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MOBILE-IP] charter update?

Greetings gentlepeople,

    We've got 4 presentations lined up at the Adelaide meeting on various
proposals for handoff.  This together with the fact that several of our
current drafts are motivated by 3G data support indicates to Raj and me that
there continues to be some interest in the group in supporting cellular
specific extensions to mobile-ip.  The charter doesn't specify a strong
support of these activities.  The current wording is "The WG moving forward
will focus on deployment issues in Mobile IP and provide appropriate
protocol solutions to address known deficiencies and shortcomings. For
example, the wireless/cellular industry is considering using Mobile IP as
one technique for IP mobility for wireless data. The working group will
endeavor to gain an understanding of data service in cellular systems such
as GPRS, UMTS, CDMA2000, and interact with other standards bodies that are
trying to adopt and deploy Mobile IP WG protocols in these contexts."
So I'd like to find out whether there is interest in the group to extending
the charter for specific support of cellular systems.  If there is general
support I'll propose some wording.  One obvious work item would be to submit
a draft to the IESG for support of fast handover.

Comments?
Phil

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 05:55:32 -0800

All,

I find it difficult to justify NOT updating the draft to include cellular
specific extensions. As many of you know, Mobile IP has been in RFC form for
quite some time now, and until the cellular folks decided to adopt it, we
really didn't have much deployment. If cellular is the killer Mobile IP
service, then we should do what we can to help make Mobile IP successful.

PatC