Subject: [MOBILE-IP] CFP HiPC2000

From: Gabriele Kotsis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:20:42 +0100

Special Session On High Performance Middleware

 7th International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC2000)
 December 17-20, 2000  -  Bangalore, India
 Deadline 19th April 2000

Session Chairs                  Important Dates
---------------                 ----------------
Shikharesh majumdar             May 1, 2000     Conference Paper Due
Systems and Computer Eng.       June 30, 2000   Notification of Acceptance
Carleton University,            August 15, 2000 Camera-Ready Paper Due
Ottawa, CANADA,
[email-masked]

Gabriele Kotsis
Institut fur Informatik und Wirtschaftsinformatik
University of Vienna
Vienna, AUSTRIA
[email-masked]

Heterogeneity is natural in distributed systems. Middleware provides
the necessary inter-operability and the communication infrastructure
required in such systems in which application components that are
implemented using diverse technology can communicate with one
another. The importance of the topic is reflected in the great deal of
research and development work performed in the area in both industry
and academia. The rapid growth in interest on the topic is reflected
in the existence of middleware conferences, special issues of journals
on the topic, the emergence of standards such as CORBA and DCOM as
well as the availability of a number of commercial products. Although
middleware provides inter-operability, if not designed carefully, it
can introduce a serious performance penalty. Achieving high
performance is crucial in telecommunication products, embedded
systems, and other performance demanding applications. The growing
interest in performance issues is reflected in recent papers on the
topic and a proposal for a standard on Real Time CORBA submitted to OMG.

Our objective is to provide an opportunity for researchers in this new
and exciting area to present and discuss their research on middleware
performance. The special session seeks original, unpublished papers
on all performance aspects of middleware for distributed applications
including case studies on the use of middleware technologies. The
topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

-- real-time middleware systems and support for QoS
-- performance issues in middleware for mobile systems
-- multimedia support for middleware
-- performance of protocols for middleware
-- high performance adaptive systems and reflective middleware
-- application of middleware technologies to performance demanding applications
-- performance characterization of middleware products
-- performance issues related to CORBA and DCOM
-- the impact of middleware architecture on system scalability
-- the performance implications of milddleware on java-based systems.

Papers will be reviewed and the selected papers will be included in
the conference proceedings to published by Springer Verlag.

Submission Guidelines:
----------------------

The paper must be clearly identified as submitted to the "High Performance
Middleware" session. Other submission guidelines are identical to the HiPC
guidelines. Papers are to be sent to the HiPC program Chair. The
guidelines are summarized here (for details, see www.hipc.org). The selected
papers will be printed in the conference proceedings.

Submit original research papers not to exceed 15 double-spaced pages
of text using 12-point size type on 8.5 x 11 inch pages. Figures and
Tables may use additional pages. Preferably send your paper as a
correct PostScript (level 2) file. Ensure the PostScript prints on
PostScript printers using 8.5x11 paper. In addition to the PostScript,
your Email must include, in ASCII form: title, author name(s),
abstract, postal address, e-mail address, and telephone and fax
numbers. Include "High Performance Middleware" in the ASCII header as well
as in the paper title page.

Send Electronic submissions to: [email-masked]

Alternatively send 6 hard copies (by mail, not fax) to the program chair:

Mateo Valero
Dept. de Arquitectura de Computadores
Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya
c/ Jordi Girona 1-3, Modulo D6
08034 Barcelona, SPAIN
Internet: [email-masked]