Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] handover

From: "Hesham Soliman (EPA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:01:24 +1000

Hi,

> Now I am not proposing that Mobile IP support movement detection using
> signal
> strength, or any other method. What I am proposing is that the existing
> link
> layers do this, and trigger events in Mobile IP when they do. This way, we
> can
> keep Mobile IP layer-2 unaware. Perhaps the API mentioned earlier would
> state
> what events Mobile IP expects to receive, and would be a good start.
>
> PatC
>
        I fully agree with you here. We can keep MIP generic and independant
of the underlying link layer and it will always work as long as the link
layer is aware that MIP is running above it and can assist its operation by
(for example) carrying some of the L3 messages or providing some information
about the link status.
        Having said that, I believe this WG should continue to try to
improve the "IP layer" handoff performance, and while doing that we can put
some requirements on lower layers that will choose MIP for their mobility
management.

        Cheers,
        Hesham