Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] handover

From: "Hesham Soliman (EPA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:16:38 +1000

> I am a bear............
> But can be convinced to be a bull if I see the right technical arguments
        Well, I'll have a go ;)

> which I have not thus far.  It is an implementation issue.  And I doubt
> smart implementors will wait for the IETF process to standardize the
> bull stuff.
>
        That might be true in some cases (or for some L2s), but other L2s
solve the entire mobility problem without using MIP. If we want to see MIP
get deployed, lower layers need to know that MIP exists above them, and
that's a standardisation issue and cannot be done by smart implementers.
This is how I understand Phil's email when he said that it's a "bottom up
approach".

        We're talking about fast handoffs on the IP layer, we're not just
talking about movement detection. We need to minimise the necessary actions
on the IP layer during handoff. A good movement detection algorithm will
help but can't solve everything.

        I'll have to think of a different terminology because I'm not very
fond of bulls :)

        Hesham