Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Information about Mobile IP firewall and QoS needed

From: "Liu, Changwen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:07:48 -0700

I am new to this email list and am trying to find information about existing
work/discussions on how to get Mobile IP (MIP) packets traversal through
firewalls. RFC 2344 and RFC 2356 address MIP packets traversal through
ingress filtering and Sun SKIP firewall. How about other firewalls? Are
there any work about MIP packets traversal through firewalls such as NAT,
RSIP, Proxy, etc?

Another thing I am interested in is to find out whether anyone has done any
work on QoS in the mobile IP environment using diff-serv and/or
int-serv/RSVP. It is one of the long term tasks for MIP WG. I like to avoid
any possible redundant work if there are already some in this area.

Any information is appreciated.

changwen

---

From: Foo Chun Choong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1971 16:44:52 +0730

Hi Changwen,

NUS has done some work on providing resource reservations for mobile hosts
in the Internet using Mobile IPv4 and RSVP. A prototype implementation of
our scheme can be obtained from our web site at
http://mip.ee.nus.edu.sg/v3.0beta

More information about the scheme can be obtained from:
http://mip.ee.nus.edu.sg/paper/slcchua.ps.gz
http://mip.ee.nus.edu.sg/paper/foo_mobqos_thesis_postscript.tar.gz

A similar approach was adopted by IRL in UCLA. More info about the UCLA
scheme can be obtained from the paper,
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~terzis/pubs/infocom99.ps.gz

As I recall, there were also prior Internet Drafts on use of DiffServ in a
Mobile IP environment, and also on issues regarding the integration of
RSVP and MIPv6.

> any possible redundant work if there are already some in this area.

Best regards,
Foo Chun Choong,
The NUS Mobile IP Project, http://mip.ee.nus.edu.sg
National University of Singapore