Subject: [MOBILE-IP] peripheral concern

From: Theo PAGTZIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:25:52 +0100

I do not know how much has concerned you but,

does anyone have any arguments about health and safety issues in
deploying such BSs ? Are there any issues involved with range extension
antennas that we would like to be aware of?

I am trying to convince people here about their safety but dunno where I
stand... (I know about inverse square.....)

Theo

---

From: Arthur Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:11:37 -0700

>stand... (I know about inverse square.....)

A place to start might be the United States FCC Office of Engineering and
Technology Bulletin 65:

"Evaluating Compliance with FCC Guidelines for Human Exposure
to Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields"

You can find it as PDF somewhere on the FCC website (www.fcc.gov).

OET 65 appears to be aimed primarily at "big wireless" installations, e.g.
the antenna farms that you will often find on prime site rooftops, rather
than small LAN/WAN things, but it is a place to start. It is based on
exposure recommendations by something called the National Council on
Radiation Protection and Measurements, by the IEEE, and by ANSI. It gives
references to those underlying recommendations.

This is one of those public health & safety policy issues where you will
find people firmly dug in on both sides, regardless of the facts. And there
will be perennial disagreement about the facts. Like so many of these
things, to make it totally go away would require proving a negative,
generally impossible.

You might also check with the US CTIA (Cellular Telecommunications Industry
Association). They initiated a real, scientific study several years ago,
stimulated by a personal injury tort that claimed handheld cell phones
cause cancer (woman had died of some sort of tumor in her head). They
enlisted some well respected medical research folks to do the study. As I
recall, the conclusion was generally favorable, but with a hint of
ambiguity about some obscure low-level effect. You should contact the CTIA.

   -- Best
   -- Arthur