Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Home agent considerations for RFC 2794?

From: Henry Haverinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:31:43 +0300

Hi all,

RFC 2794 doesn't specify what the home agent should do if it fails
to assign a home address for a mobile node that has sent a Registration
Request with the Home Address field set to zero. This may occur for example
if the home agent obtains the home addresses with DHCP and the DHCP server
is down.

The home agent should probably reply with an error code, but which
code? Should we add this kind of home agent considerations to RFC 2794?

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Regards,
Henry

---

From: "Kent K. Leung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:58:19 -0700

> code? Should we add this kind of home agent considerations to RFC 2794?

Maybe code 134 'insufficient resource'?

-- Kent --

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:53:30 -0700

hmmm... somehow I missed this one in my inbox.

You bring up an interesting point. The draft doesn't quite specify how an
address should/could be allocated, but does allow provisions for it. Perhaps
in the next update (as it moves towards Draft Standard) we could cover this
case. I think that Kent's suggestion is a fine idea. Error 134 sounds
appropriate to me.

PatC