Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] IP over Bluetooth, Cellular Handoff to WLAN

From: Phil Neumiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:37:28 -0500

My personal feeling is that "something" like Bluetooth (i.e. not necessarily
Bluetooth, but probably) will steal 3G's thunder.  I have this sneaking
suspicion that most of the 3G-like traffic will be carried over WLANs and
PANs.  Now, to make this work nicely, as your use case describes below,
there is much work to do indeed.  Data is probably the easiest, i.e. non-
voice / non-video / non-real time data is easy since we can probably use
Mobile-IP out of the box with a few tweaks.  Another sticky point is that your
e-appliances you are carrying around are probably going to have to be both
IPv4 and IPv6 compatible, so in addition to discovering what's around you,
your device will need to decide on the IP version.  What happens when I
hand down to an IPv4 RAN that can't transport IPv6?  Do I just lose my
connection?  So some of the challenges I see are AAA and QoS with fast
Mobile-IP handovers for IPv4 and IPv6 so that streaming multi-media type
hand-ins and outs can occur with macro-cellular networks seamlessly.

MANET is not going address whether ppp is used as the link adaptation for
IPv4 and IPv6 over Bluetooth, although they will need to know about this.
I am thinking that ppp is probably not the right way to put IP over Bluetooth,
i.e. a more appropriate link layer adaptation could be done over L2CAP
directly rather than through that RFCOMM serial link emulator.

Jack Lang wrote:
> I also get confused with discovery protocols. How do I know what is the
> local WLAN, and what services are available on it?
>
> At the top level, I can see that when I get out of my car, walk across the
> carpark and into a building all sorts of complicated things should happen
> (twice) to my phone, my PDA, my laptop etc as they bind and re-bind to least
> cost and local services, register preferences with the  coffee machines,
> change dialing codes,  find the nearest printer, and so on. Yes I do know
> I'm confusing protocol and application layers, but the desired overall
> effect is the only way I can describe it at present.
>

---

From: "Lee, Jiwoong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:09:43 +0900

Hi, All

I think following terms are not explained in RFC2002 plus RFC2002bis.
Although they can be understood in the context of generic language,
they have to be technically defined clearly.

I suggest the next terminology as written by Georgios Karagiannis
in his open report 62-FCP NB 102 88 Uen, Ericsson.

Authentication
    The recipient of a message should be able to determine ho the actual
    (real) originator of the message is.

Authorisation
    Provide the ability to an organisation that owns and/or operates a
    network to decide who may attach to the network resources may be
    used by the attaching node.

Location Privacy
    Gives the ability to a sender of a message to control which, if any,
    receivers know the location of the sender's current physical attachment
    to the network. Location privacy is concerned with hiding the location
of
    an MN from CN's.

Best regards,

Jiwoong Lee
Hansol M.com, Korea

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:54:48 -0700

Hello Jiwoong,

I have read through your notes offering editorial improvements
to the documents, as well as many other notes regarding
RFC 2002bis.  I think that another revision is indicated
that takes into account your comments.  I will endeavor to
produce a revised document soon.

Regards,
Charlie P.