Subject: [MOBILE-IP] handover

From: Roberts Phil-QA3445 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:55:44 -0500

Hi folks,

Monday we reinitiated the discussion of fast handover support for
Mobile IP.  We proposed adding the following line to the charter: 'Develop
an access technology independent method for supporting low latency handover
between access points within a system or across systems.'

The intent of providing a smooth handoff solution at the network layer
is for obvious reasons : achieve seamless handoff between networks
(internetworks). Having a solution at the network layer does not
necessarily mean that it must be used when there is a more efficient
or optimal mechanism at a lower layer. Also the objective is to
provide a technology  or air interface independent solution (reason for
doing at the network layer).
So depending on whether a smooth handoff mechanism defined at the
network layer is applied in the micro-mobility environment or at a
more macro level, within the same technology or across different
technologies, inter/intra domains etc. may vary to a certain degree.

We've let the conversation run somewhat open loop in order to hear
what people have to say.  There hasn't been anything that sounds like
an objection to adding this to the charter so we're going to go ahead
and forward it to the ADs for approval.  We'll put a Dec 2000 date on
it.

We believe it's important to put some constraints for discussion and
submissions.  Although the context of developing fast handover for
cellular applications in particular may be all IP cellular networks or may
be
from the setting of some specific link layer technologies, the group is not
chartered to design all IP cellular networks or to specify interfaces to
specific link layers.  This is not to say that such work is not necessarily
needed, but that it is outside the scope of this working group.

Phil and Raj