Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] IPv6 Mobility Last Call Question

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 15:11:26 -0700

At 08:20 PM 5/7/00 +0100, Casati, Alessio (Alessio) wrote:
>I mean that when a roadwarrior is accessing the corporate net,
>all traffic to and from the Internet must traverse the corporate
>firewalls and use corporate proxies to make
>enforcement of corporate (security) policies possible.

seems quite a special case. Could be configured that way for those cases
where (a) it's a road warrior and (b) there is a policy that requires this
handling. Why impose packet-handling of the special case in the general
case where distributed processing would get better packet handling
characteristics?

In short, I understand that sometimes there is a corporation that figures
its employees cannot be trusted outside of its four walls, but I don't
understand why that should be a limit on the case I mentioned, or a limit
on a corporation that doesn't see its employees in that light.

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 17:04:50 -0700

> on a corporation that doesn't see its employees in that light.

Also, if the employees can't be trusted to this extent we can't solve
that with technology - it is a social problem that requires social solutions.
(Many companies make statements about the possible effects of violating
company security policies like connecting an externally accessible modem
to the desktop allowing people to break in etc)

  Erik