Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] IPv6 Mobility draft comments

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 21:43:38 -0700

> This clearly gives the right for the CN to send to MN-HA whilst the MH
> assumes it won't, leading to repeated (but rate limited) sending of BU's to
> CN. This seems overly loose to me, and the MH shouldn't be guessing like
> this. Would it not be better if the CN sent something like a BR to trigger
> BU from MN ?

The CN doesn't know whether its peer is mobile or not.
So if you go the above path you are really saying that all IPv6 nodes
should (periodically? retransmit with exponential backoff?) send
BRs to all their communication peers.

> Given the discussion on the list wrt forwarding control, reverse tunnelling
> etc this would also enable CN to indicate it's policy directly, whilst
> giving the MN some opportunity to override this policy based on it's
> configured policy (from Home operator etc).

The CN might not have a policy.
Do you have an example of sensible CN policy?

The organization which runs the HA might have a policy.
And the owner of the MN might have a policy (not disclose
the location of the MN by sending BUs or Home Address Options to
CNs - or only to certain CNs).

  Erik

---

From: "Alan O'Neill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 16:54:51 +0100

Thanks Eric

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Erik Nordmark [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2000 2:14 PM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Cc:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Re: [MOBILE-IP] IPv6 Mobility draft comments
>
        [AWO]  Hmm - bad idea...   ?
> Do you have an example of sensible CN policy?
        [AWO]  Given the above probably not. Simply thinking that a CN may
WANT to go via a HA (CN may also be a roamer away from the corporate net, or
for CN processing load issues (although Charlie is pretty comfortable about
the latter). For the former I could imagine that the CN may be able to
access 'better' net services if it's packets are recognised (HA->MN outer
header src addr) in the net as being from a particular corporate (access
diff-serv aggregate, better bandwidth etc). How efficient do you think
classification will be on the Routing header (and the HAb option for that
matter) to match into corporate specific net resources for example ?