Subject: [MOBILE-IP] I-D ACTION:draft-kempf-cdma-appl-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 06:36:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IP Mobility and the CDMA Radio Access Network:
                          Applicability Statement for Soft Handoff
        Author(s)       : J. Kempf,  P. McCann, P. Roberts
        Filename        : draft-kempf-cdma-appl-00.txt
        Pages           : 12
        Date            : 03-May-00

Recently, there have been a variety of proposals submitted to the
Mobile IP Working Group and to other IETF working groups for IP
mobility solutions that seek to enhance or replace mobile IP. These
proposals, often characterized as micromobility or fast handoff, are
addressed primarily at the perceived need of multimedia sessions such
as video or voice over IP for faster handoff between radio base
stations, and are primarily directed at real time multimedia traffic
in 3rd generation cellular access networks. In this paper, we discuss
the design of CDMA radio access networks (RANs) and the applicability
of IP mobility to soft handoff in a CDMA RAN. We attempt to show that
given current IP routing algorithms and the constraints on a CDMA
RAN, IP mobility solutions have little, if any, role to play in
handoff within the RAN. In contrast, an IP mobility solution is
likely to play a big role in fast handoff between RANs, also called
hard handoff. While future developments in IP networking may change
this situation, IP mobility in CDMA networks currently seems to apply
only when the mobile node roams between RANs rather than between base
stations within a RAN.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kempf-cdma-appl-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-kempf-cdma-appl-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kempf-cdma-appl-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Jim Willkie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:15:07 -0700

>only when the mobile node roams between RANs rather than between base

Well great cheers to the authors!! Hopefully this paper and any potential
enusing discussions will quell any effort to use mobileIP for soft handoff
on CDMA networks....

Jim Willkie