Subject: [MOBILE-IP] How does an FA know its GFA?

From: Cheng-Yin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:24:49 -0400

How does an FA know its GFA (or next level FA) in
draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-02.txt?

thanks,
cyl

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:45:45 -0700

In my implementation, it is statically configured. However, it would be
interesting to see a proposal that allows for the hierarchy to be dynamically
built.

PatC
---

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:04:02 -0700

Hello Cheng-Yin,

It doesn't say how to set up the interconnection between
FA and GFA in that draft.  We hoped this could be considered
separately, since it is a router discovery issue and not a
registration issue.  Do you think that manual configuration
is an acceptable answer for the purposes of discussion in
the regional registration draft?

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Cheng-Yin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 14:06:48 -0400

Hello Charlie,

> the regional registration draft?

i think it would be helpful if the draft discuss this and provide some
recommendations. In the longer term it would be nice if manual
configuration is not necessary.

thanks,
cyl

---

From: "Tom K. Weckström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:27:34 +0300

Hello folks,

> > > draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-02.txt?

There is one solution for a FA registration protocol in Jouni K.
Malinen's thesis I mentioned some time ago on this list. The protocol
is implemented in HUT Dynamics. The protocol still requires one
statically configured upper foreign agent IP address for each FA in
the hierarchy, but with the protocol, each foreign agent automatically
makes its NAI known to all the foreign agents above it in the
hierarchy. One shared secret is needed between all the foreign agents
to improve security (authentication and integrity). The protocol
enables the movement of FA's without the need to reconfiqure many FA's
manually.

Regards,
        Tom

--
        Tom Weckström           Dynamics group
                                Helsinki University of Technology
                                [email-masked]

http://www.cs.hut.fi/Research/Dynamics/