Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] peripheral concern...

From: Roberts Phil-QA3445 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:30:31 -0500

No, it's too far off topic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Theo PAGTZIS [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 12:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] peripheral concern...

Roberts Phil-QA3445 wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I think it's time to reign in this discussion.  We're pretty far
off
> topic of mobile ip.  Perhaps someone would like to create a cellular
> interest list, but designing cellular systems in general and the wide
range
> of topics associated with it are out of scope.
>
>

Not really that far....

Considering the small range of the WLAN base stations and the need for dense
population of Base stations for wireless (which is really the major card in
the
game called mobility), I think that one needs to consider the effects that
the
deployment of such population of base stations will have to humans. Besides
the
latter are consumers of the technology (effected by mobile ip) which if not
accepted, won't get far Mobile-IP either....

Positioning of the BS has a direct effect on the BS population per square
mile...but this is directly controlled by the effect it has on humans....(If
you feel threatened by the technology you may always avoid using it....so
practicing of mobile-IP gets another good delay which we could all do
_without_
...)

The density of the BS population affects directly the amount of cell
handoffs
(which is what mobile-IP _is_ currently concerned with) ....which leads me
to
believe that the health and safety effects on humans by the deployment of
BSs
controls implicitly cell radius and thus handoff rates....

Since at the moment Mobile-IP cannot overprovision for handoff rates...I
think
it would be wise to consider all influencing (albeit peripheral )
factors...before ignoring the issue...

Theo

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 10:54:44 -0700

> No, it's too far off topic.

All,

I am in the process of setting up a new mailing list, that can be used to
discuss cellular related issues, that are off-topic for this mailing list. The
mailing list will be [email-masked].

I am having some difficulty with sendmail at the moment, and will send a
notice to the mailing list when it is up and running.

Thanks,

PatC