Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Wireless Data Usage?

From: lisa zheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:06:59 -0400

Hi all,

Is it safe to say most of the wireless data usage today and in the near future, follows the server-client model with mobile user being the client who initiate most of the connections? If so, can anybody provide me some pointers to support this? Also is there any statistics about the session duration vs. user mobility out on the web?

Thank you in advance.

Rong

______________________________________________
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

---

From: Brijesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:49:45 -0400

> Is it safe to say most of the wireless data usage today and
> in the near future, follows the server-client model with
> mobile user being the client who initiate most of the
> connections?

Lisa,

Generally true, because a device has to first register with the
network to tell that it is there. Note, a few caveats here - most
wireless data devices (that is its wireless transmitter) are put in
the "sleep mode" after a period of inactivity to increase battery
life. When the network  gets a message, it "wakes" the device. Email
delivery to a wireless data device works typically in this way.
Telemetry applications may work either way (you poll devices or a
device is programmed to send report periodically.).

> If so, can anybody provide me some pointers to
> support this? Also is there any statistics about the session
> duration vs. user mobility out on the web?

Don't have any reference right away.

Cheers,

--brijesh
Ennovate Networks Inc.

---

From: "Lee, Jiwoong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:35:04 +0900

Some vendor's solutions provide automatic mobile ip registration
after booting up.

In this way, connections initiated by another node in the public internet
can be established with the mobile node, even tough the end user
does not labor for mobile ip registration start.

By the way, a leaf node s also apt to be a client in wired communications,
and there seems more terminals than routers in the world.

Jiwoong Lee
M.com