Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Smooth handovers

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:03:38 -0700

Hello folks,

We have developed a framework architecture for smooth handovers
for IPv6.  In addition to the basic framework draft, we have designed
suboptions for three interesting features:
- header compression
- buffer management
- regional registration.

The framework draft is available at:
       http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/txt/smoothv6/smoothv6.txt

A specification for the header-compression feature handover is in:
       http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/txt/rohc/hc-ho-draft.txt

The buffer management suboption is specified in the following draft:
       http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/txt/mobilebuf/buffer6.txt

Regional registration also interacts with smooth handovers. Our
specification for the protocol and interactions is available at:
      http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/txt/regreg6/regreg6.txt

We think that this framework architecture works very well with IPv6,
but should also be considered in the upcoming discussion for managing
smooth handovers for IPv4.  The destination options and suboptions
defined for IPv6 could almost as well be fit into Mobile IPv4 extensions

following after the Previous Foreign Agent Notifiication extension.

Comments will be appreciated!

Regards,
Charlie P.