Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Mobile Networks

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:45:16 +0200

Dear working group members,

I have posted an internet draft entitled "Mobile Networks Support in
Mobile IPv6"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-00.txt

This draft addresses the problems of routing datagrams to nodes located
in an IPv6 mobile network. A MOBILE NETWORK is a network that  is
changing its point of attachment dynamically such as a network deployed
in an aircraft, a boat, or a car.

As the Mobile IPv6 specification says that the mobile node could be a
HOST or a ROUTER, this means that the specification does (implicitly)
consider Mobile Networks too: a router and all its attached nodes.

However, Mobile IPv6 has been developed with the focus of mobile HOSTS
and is unable to maintain communication between a Correspondent Node and
a host attached to the mobile router.  Our draft therefore discusses the
Mobile IPv6 ability to support mobile networks and proposes some
extensions to Mobile IPv6.

Basically, the mobile router that connects the mobile network to the
Internet performs Mobile-IPv6.  As any mobile node, it gets a care-of
address and registers it with its Home Agent. In addition, it sends its
care-of address to the Correspondent Nodes.   However, this is not
enough if a Correspondent Node wants to communicate with one of the node
located in the mobile network.     We therefore proposes extensions to
instruct the Home Agent and the Correspondent Node to use the care-of
address of the mobile router when they want to communicate with a node
located in the mobile network.  We use the term "Prefix scope binding
updates".

Please read the draft and tell us if you agree that Mobile IPv6 needs
extensions.  Then, any comment about our way to extend Mobile IPv6 is
welcome.

Thank you for your consideration,
Regards, Thierry.

--
* mailto:[email-masked]  Tel +33 (0) 4 76 61 52 69
* INRIA Rhone-Alpes Projet PLANETE       (fax 52 52)
* http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/pub/MobiNet/mobinet.html