Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] draft-malinen-mobileip-regreg6-00.txt

From: "Hesham Soliman (EPA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:58:09 +1000

Hello Charlie,

I actually have a number of comments on the draft. I would say
it's attempting to solve a similar problem to what we did.
However, I disagree that it solves it the same way.

I will bring up the comments in a separate mail.

> This same idea can also be found in the I-D by Karim.
> Can you provide some clarification on this?

Similar ideas have been popping up with regularity for years.
Our goal is to find some solution that is not encumbered with
intellectual property, so it is perfectly natural that we would
work with ideas that have been around for years.  Isn't this
a good thing?

=> I really don't think that will be a problem. Our goal is to
provide the best technical solution. I am not a lawyer
and I can't make official statements on behalf of my company.
However, I can tell you that we (the authors) are not aware of
any IPR on this draft today. We put this statement in good faith
because we thought that there might be one later. So there is
clearly no hidden agendas or encumberences intended.

If there happens to be an IPR, I still don't believe there will
be a problem, everything will be in full conformance with IETF
rules on IPR's. This is not the first time this scenario occurs,
and a recent example has occured in the ROHC WG where no problems
had occurred.

I hope that when we discuss the different proposals we really
base our choices on the BEST technical solution.
If, after choosing this solution we find that there are
"non-technical" issues, I do not doubt that they will be solved quite
smoothly.

So far I haven't received any comments on our proposal, but
I'll be happy to discuss it with the memebers of the WG.

Hesham