Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Drafts on MIP:EMA co-existence.

From: "Alan O'Neill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:27:31 +0100

Hi Folks,

I enclose below details of a new draft which discusses our view of the
relationship of MIP to Edge Mobility Architecture which I am sure should
provoke some discussion, along with links to the updated EMA draft v02. The
former specifically includes a description of reverse hand-over, as well as
forward hand-over under control of either MN via the old link, or the
network, which are relevant to the hand-over discussions... Lots of
similarities with other work which I will summarise in separate mail.

The EMA-MIP draft unfortunately has a couple of bugs to ignore which crept
though in the rush to meet the deadline. These are that the AAA Data Options
(for transfer of policy / AAA parameters from old to new access routers
(FA's/CoRs) should be decoupled from the Binding Update and EMA Hand-over
Options (see draft-ietf-koodli-smoothv6-00 for related work), and the
problematic use of Home Address = CoA (for extending scope of the concept of
home from link to home EMA domain) which should be replaced by simply using
the Home address. We will send out an updated draft covering these in more
detail after the IETF.

Setting the hand-over discussion aside for now, in terms of follow-up
activity I'm very keen to see if the other micro-mobility folks would be
willing to jointly specify a common MIP:micro-mobility framework draft
covering signalling, address allocation, paging, MIP co-existence to try to
get some badly needed convergence for OBAST and the MIP wg. I believe the
aims should be to isolate the MN from the specific micro-mobility protocol
selected by the network operator (save specific option data), to support
incremental and partial deployment of micromobility, and ensure MIP and
micro-mobility can work seamlessly independent of the status of MN or
visited domain ?

In addition, I think we need to find the best way to support the general
need I think for the new access router to undertake hand-over processing for
MIP:micro-mobility in conjunction with the BU which is not addressed to the
new access router but the tunnel endpoint. Both MIP:EMA and
draft-ietf-koodli-smoothv6-00 address this in different ways.

Thanks,  Alan.

---------------------------------------------------------------
 New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : EMA Enhanced Mobile IPv6/IPv4
        Author(s)       : A. O'Neill, G. Tsirtsis, S. Corson
        Filename        : draft-oneill-ema-mip-00.txt
        Pages           : 42
        Date            : 18-Jul-00

It is well recognised by all micro and macro-mobility routing
protocols that Mobile IP (MIP) is likely to be used to support
inter-domain mobility. It is also widely accepted that Mobile IP
could be used as the basis for signalling between the mobile and the
micro-mobility domains for simplicity of the mobile terminal and
interoperability purposes. The Edge Mobility Architecture (EMA)
defines a generic IP hand-over model which operates in conjunction
with a Mobility Enhanced Routing (MER) protocol to provide large-
scale, intra-domain, IP address mobility. The aim of this document
is to describe the minimum MIP signalling requirements for EMA:MER,
and to propose additional changes necessary to [MIPv6] and [MIPv4]
for them to support EMA:MER. The document deals with mobiles moving
inside and between EMA:MER domains as well as coming and going
from/to non-EMA:MER domains, demonstrating EMA/MIP interoperability
and inter-domain hand-overs. The document also demonstrates the
benefits a mobile and an operator will see when a mobile host is
within an EMA domain.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-oneill-ema-mip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-oneill-ema-mip-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-oneill-ema-mip-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

draft-oneill-ema-mip-00.txt

-------------------------------------------

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Edge Mobility Architecture
        Author(s)       : A. O'Neill, G. Tsirtsis, S. Corson
        Filename        : draft-oneill-ema-02.txt
        Pages           : 32
        Date            : 19-Jul-00

This draft outlines a system  for domain-based routing and
addressing support in handling edge mobility such as encountered in
cellular systems and Internet roaming.  The system includes novel
features for IP session, address and localised host redirect route
management which promise significant scaling benefits compared to
other micro-mobility solutions. In addition, the system is closely
integrated with the Mobile IP architecture for both signalling and
data forwarding, so that a rich set of capabilities and Internet
Services are possible, and incremental deployment of EMA is possible
within and between AS's. The draft also suggests a specific protocol
based on TORA for the implementation of such an architecture. It
advocates the creation of a specific IETF working group to address
an overall architecture for edge mobility routing, specific
extensions to existing routing protocols to accomplish that
architecture, and extensions to existing Internet technologies such
as Mobile IP to support this architecture.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-oneill-ema-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-oneill-ema-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-oneill-ema-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

draft-oneill-ema-02.txt

---

From: Claude Castelluccia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:23:22 +0200

> micro-mobility can work seamlessly independent of the status of MN or

I am supporting  this idea!
This  was actually exactly the goal  of an Internet Draft that we presented
last year at the Oslo
IETF... (see http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/people/ccastel/draft.txt). The
idea was to define a
a commun  micro-mobility registration protocol that would be independent of the
different micro-mobility
protocols ...

I have attached the abstract of the draft to this email.

regards,

Claude.

  Abstract

   As the number of Mobile Nodes increases in the Internet, it becomes
   clear that a hierarchical mobility management protocol is necessary.
   The macro-mobility is the mobility between domains.  The micro-
   mobility is the mobility within one domain.  Several proposals that
   separate macro and micro-mobility has been proposed recently
   (CellularIP[4], HAWAII[3], HMIP[1],...).

   All these proposals agree that Mobile IP is suitable to handle
   macro-mobility (inter-domain mobility) but they all propose a
   different micro-mobility scheme. As a result, a Mobile Node won't be
   able to roam seamlessly if it does not understand the different
   micro-mobility management protocols of the domain that it visits.

   In this document, we present a framework that allows the deployment
   of various micro-mobility management protocols in different parts of
   the Internet while still providing connectivity to Mobile Nodes.

   We propose to decompose the Internet mobility management protocol
   into three components. The first one, the access protocol, specifies
   the registration procedures between the Mobile Node and the domain it
   is attached to. It is standard and unique. The second one, the
   micro-mobility protocol, manages local mobility and varies from one
   domain to another. The third one, the macro-mobility protocol,
   manages mobility across domains.  We suggest to use Mobile IP as the
   macro-mobility protocol.

   This Internet Draft first describes the architecture of the proposed
   framework. It then show how micro-Mobile IP and Cellular IP could be
   deployed within this framework.

--

----------------------------------------
Claude CASTELLUCCIA, INRIA Rhone-Alpes
ph:  +33 4.76.61.52.15 (fax: 52.52)
http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/