Subject: [MOBILE-IP] some queries on <draft-zhong-mobile-ip-mpls-01.txt>

From: Prem Shankar Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:43:49 -0700

Hi,

   I have some questions on the draft <draft-zhong-mobile-ip-mpls-01.txt>.
   Though it proposes some interesting schemes to imbibe MPLS techniques
   in Mobile IP, to enhance data efficiency (packet header compression
   techniques), expedite data forwarding and to use of CRLSPs for QoS
   requirements, but I feel, it doesn't fully address some of the issues.

   * This draft doesn't address the cases when the route optimization
     techniques are employed. What if they are employed? Can the LSPs
     could be established directly from CN to FA or from CN to MN? What
     if CN is not MPLS capable? What if MN itself is MPLS capable?
     [not fully sure whether these questions need to be handled within
      this draft or some other work on MPLS].

   * How the packets in transit are going to be handled during handoff?
     Can a "short lived" LSP be provisioned between the old FA and the
     new FA. The new FA could be the HA itself. If such data driven
     LSPs are provisioned, what are going to be their implications on
     the scalability of the soln.?

   Besides this, in section 2.4, there seems to be a typo - It says
   "HA strips off the label and sends the packet to IP layer". Instead of
   HA, it should have been FA.

   Looking for the responses!!!

Thanks.
Prem