Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Fast Handoffs (fast-handoffs and proactive-FA)

From: "Karim El-Malki (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:36:55 +0200

Hello Pat and James

I have read your proactive-FA-01 draft. This new version
is quite different from v00 and now describes a similar
hierarchical mechanism to the Fast Handoffs presented
in Adelaide: draft-elmalki-soliman-hmipv4v6-00 (previously
presented in Oslo as draft-elmalki-mobileip-fast-handoffs-01).
This has undergone a few revisions and we think it is
now in quite a stable state. I haven't seen any comparison
or reference to it in your memo. Could you elaborate on the
differences? If my understanding is correct, your approach
requires a registration following L2 handoff (to a new FA)
before the MN can resume communication. We have tried to
avoid this added delay. Also, why did you choose to introduce
a new message between RFA and GFA when there is the
(Regional) Registration Request available? What is the
advantage? MIP transparency to the MN should be maintained
IMO. In our approach we have decided to maintain this and
no new messages are used.

Rgds,
Karim

P.S. The MIPv4 part of the draft presented in Adelaide has
just been resubmitted as: draft-elmalki-mobileip-fast-handoffs-02

---

From: jxli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:17:10 +0800

unsubscribe