Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Comments on Proactive HO

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:43:41 -0500

Pat,

Just a few observations on the proactive FA HO proposal:

1. You mention that an FA can determine if a MN can be better served
    by another FA using current location and movement patterns via
underlying
    link layer or radio protocols. Rather than trying to predict the best
possible
    FA that can serve the MN using movements patterns (it's quite hard) it
is
    probably better to have a list of possible FA candidates that could
serve
    the MN. In that case the FA can send a BU to all the possible FAs. A lot
    depends on how you engineer the network and if you consider every BTS
    to have an FA or a set of them to be served by an FA.

2. Karim's proposal of doing a registration with a new FA while connected to
the
    old FA seems to be much more reasonable than sending a binding update.
    You avoid having the GFA deal with a new Hand Off message which you
    propose.

3. The FA should not worry about determining if it has link layer
connectivity to
    a MN. So instead of the FA determining this and sending a HO request
with
    lifetime zero, it is better to have the new FA that is now serving the
MN send
    an equivalent message to the oFA to deregister the MN.

-Raj, Sha