Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Mobile IP v4/6 and Micro-mobility schemes

From: opamps cybernetics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:55:49 EST

Hi,

As far as I know, Mobile IP v4/6 require HA, FA and the tunneling concepts.
How come this will make Cellular-IP and HAWAII out of spec?

If I got it correct, both Cellular and HAWAII have HA, FA and tunneling
concepts. They keep the same IP address for the MN and do not require global
broadcast of their "new" address (scalibility problems). Can any body
enlighten me why they are considered off-track?

Thank you in advance.

Opamps
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Tan Hock Lai Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:39:59 +0800

Hi,

Both Cellular IP and HAWAII are Micro-Mobility Management Protocol

From my understanding, IPv4 requires a FA to be located at the foreign
network. IPv6 doesn't require FA, thus the functionality of the FA is in
mobile node (Thus, the end point of the tunnel is the mobile node itself).

Mobile IP is designed to solve macro-mobility problem. Mobile IP faced a
problem when a user move frequently (from one network to another), this
action requires the mobile node to notify its HA of its new location even
for small movement.
To solve this problem, Cellular IP (similar concept to the Cellular System
) is developed. To the HA, the movement of the mobile node inside the
Cellular network is transparent.

Inside a Cellular IP network, no tunnelling is required. If a host sends a
messages addressed to a mobile node, it will arrive at the HA, HA then
tunnel the message to the Cellular Gateway (care-of-address for the mobile
node) where it will de-tunnel and route it to the mobile node's Base
Station and finally to the Mobile node.

I hope this will help you.

Regards
Paul Tan

-----Original Message-----
From:   opamps cybernetics [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:   Wednesday, August 16, 2000 4:56 AM
To:     [email-masked]
Subject:        [MOBILE-IP] Mobile IP v4/6 and Micro-mobility schemes

Hi,

As far as I know, Mobile IP v4/6 require HA, FA and the tunneling concepts.
How come this will make Cellular-IP and HAWAII out of spec?
If I got it correct, both Cellular and HAWAII have HA, FA and tunneling
concepts. They keep the same IP address for the MN and do not require
global broadcast of their "new" address (scalibility problems). Can any
body enlighten me why they are considered off-track?
Thank you in advance.
Opamps
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com