Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] UMIP questions

From: Wang John-EZW001 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:03:54 -0500

Dear Opamps

Please see embedded answers marked by >>A:.

Best regards,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: opamps cybernetics [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 5:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MOBILE-IP] UMIP questions

Dear Gurus,

Some questions:

1) When location chain is established between the HA and the mobile node, is
every node in-between supposed to download from the Home Agent and keep a
copy of informations such as user profile, AAA etc?

>> A: It doesn't have to but if the operator wants it is possible. To keep a
copy of the information on these nodes will speed up the following
registrations, call connections and handoff processes associated with the
MN.

2) How does this help when the MN is idle and taken to a "new" foreign
network far away from the "old" foreign network? The new location chain may
have to be completely redrawn, right?

>> A: When a MN is roaming between Foreign domains, the location chain will
be updated, for example, from the Home root node LRn down to LR1 in the NEW
Foreign domain. A system performance is measured by statistics rather than
the worst case (e.g. ERLANG's model). Simulations and performance
evaluations showed that the overall performances such as delay, system
capacity etc., have been significantly improved over the traditional
solution. Hopefully, these will help in clarifying your concerns.

Thank you very much in advance...

Opamps

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Karann Chew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:00:16 +0100

Hi John,

I have another question regarding UMIP.

A MN in foreign network needs to setup a chain from home network to its
current LR, possibly through the gateway routers/LRs of the foreign and
home network.  Supposingly, the foreign and home network is connected
through Internet, then, how could the chain between them be setup?

To make my question clear... Refering to Figure 2 in
<draft-wang-mobileip-umip-00.txt>: the connection between the two LRs at
L4 could be the Internet.  How is the chain being setup between them?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
        Karann

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Karann Chew
Mobile Communications Research Group
Centre for Communication Systems Research
University of Surrey
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++