Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Move Detection.

From: Gavin Button <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:31:33 +0100

Hi,

As the questions on this list are predominantly concerned with defining new
Mobile IP protocols, is it the right place for me to ask MobileIPv4
(RFC2002) implementation questions?

If not, could you please point me in the right direction. If so, heres my
question.........

From my undesrtanding, both of the Move Detection algorithms within RFC2000
IP Mobility Support rely on having to wait for the Lifetime of a previous
Registration to expire before an Agent Advertisement from another FA could
overide it. This could potentially leave a long gap before a change of
network was detected. Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Gavin Button

---

From: Linfeng Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:23:58 +0300

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Gavin Button wrote:

> From my understanding, both of the Move Detection algorithms within
RFC2000
> network was detected. Or am I missing something?

Even though the Lifetime field here for ICMP has no relation to the
"Registration Lifetime" field within the Mobility Agent Advertisement
Extension, I checked the ICMP Router Discovery Messages (RFC 1256) and it
says:

   The default advertising rate is once every 7 to 10 minutes, and the
   default lifetime is 30 minutes.

Can this be used as beacon? If not, can anyone point out what can be used
as beacon?

Thanks,

Linfeng Yang
                Helsinki University of Technology
                Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
                P.O.Box 9700, 02015 HUT, Finland
                Phone: +358 9 451 5250           Fax: +358 9 451 5351