Subject: [MOBILE-IP] RFC2002 - Registration Request

From: Gavin Button <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:17:23 +0100

Hi,

I am currently reading RFC 2002 IP Mobility Support (October 1996) and have
a couple of  questions with regards to the FA forwarding Registration
Requests to the HA (section 3.7.2.2).

- How does the FA know what to set the Destination MAC Address to when
forwarding to the HA, as all it receives in the Registration Request is the
HA IP address?

- Should it leave the Source MAC Address as the MHs, or set it to its own
MAC Address?

Thanks in Advance,

Gavin Button

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:08:41 -0700

Hello Gavin,

As a general rule, a Registration Request sent by the foreign agent
to the home agent follows the same MAC addressing rules as would
any other packet sent by the foreign agent to the home agent.

> forwarding to the HA, as all it receives in the Registration Request is the

By using either its default router or by using ARP if the HA is on the
same subnet as one of the FA's network interfaces.

> - Should it leave the Source MAC Address as the MHs, or set it to its own

The foreign agent should set its own MAC address as the source MAC address.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Gavin Button <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:43:24 +0100

Thanks again for the reply.

Am I right in assuming that if the default router is used by a FA for
forwarding a Registration request, that ARP will still be required for
getting the MAC address as this will not be in the routing table?

Thanks

Gavin

-----Original Message-----
From: IP Routing for Wireless/Mobile Hosts (mobile-ip)
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Charles E.
Perkins
Sent: 16 August 2000 15:09
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] RFC2002 - Registration Request

Hello Gavin,

Regards,
Charlie P.