Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Re charter review

From: Chern Nam Yap <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:34:26 +0100

Hi all

There has not been not much discussion about about agent discovery recently.
That is something i am quite puzzle when people are mentioning all sorts of fast handoff.

How could one discuss fast handoff without discussing how much delay does
agent discovery takes in place all sorts of environments.

Moreover, there is still an issues of how much overheads that agent discovery
will take up in the expensive air link.

Please give some real figures.
Hopefully someone would clear up these fundamental issues.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chern Nam Yap
Research Associate
Center for Mobile Communication Research
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
University of Sheffield
Regent Court
211 Portobello Street
Sheffield S1 4DP
United Kingdom
Tel:+44 (0) 114-222-3308
Fax:+44 (0) 114-222-8299
Web: www.mobile1.net
E-mail: [email-masked]
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:04:40 -0700

> agent discovery takes in place all sorts of environments.

Bingo! That is the point that Jim and I have been making all this time, and
the reason why we designed the pro-active FA I-D. It takes time for a mobile
to detect that it has moved (using traditional Agent Advertisements), not to
mention the latency added by the registration process (regardless of how far
the registration request has to be sent).

PatC