Subject: [MOBILE-IP] ipv4 fast handoff outcome

From: Roberts Philip-qa3445 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:10:42 -0500

Hi folks,

        The IPv4 fast handoff design team has finished its work.   The
output of the work is two drafts, Calhoun, et. al., and Soliman, et. al.
The latest versions of these drafts will be submitted as personal drafts in
the next couple of days.  We had hoped that a single draft could be produced
by the design team but this did not happen.  The task now is for the working
group to examine these drafts and choose one it wants to use as the working
group draft for fast handoff for IPv4.

        Based on experience with the discussions in the design team I want
to suggest some criteria for discussing these going forward.  First, the
drafts attempt to be access technology independent and we would like the
discussions not to adopt some specific access technology as an underpinning
for the draft.   Second, on the other hand, we must keep in mind that the
technique must work across specific underlying technologies.  So we must
walk a fine line between two possible errors: depending too much on a
particular technology across which the handoff proposal will work and
ignoring requirements of systems across which the handoff proposal will
work.

        So expect to see in the next day or two references to the new drafts
as they are submitted to the IETF and a discussion of the differences
between the two proposals.

        The chairs would like to thank the participants of the v4 design
team and in particular Pat Calhoun for leading the design team.

Phil