Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Re charter review

From: Theo PAGTZIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:40:10 +0100

"[email-masked]" wrote:

> > Hi all
> >
> > There has not been not much discussion about about agent discovery recently.
> > That is something i am quite puzzle when people are mentioning all sorts of
> > fast handoff.
> >
> > How could one discuss fast handoff without discussing how much delay does
> > agent discovery takes in place all sorts of environments.
>
> Bingo! That is the point that Jim and I have been making all this time, and
> the reason why we designed the pro-active FA I-D. It takes time for a mobile
> to detect that it has moved (using traditional Agent Advertisements), not to
> mention the latency added by the registration process (regardless of how far
> the registration request has to be sent).
>
> Pat

Ditto...It is the same issue that I have been pondering about in my work as well
as an old thread
spawn in the past about proactive vs. reactive handoffs

Theo

---

From: Eunsoo Shim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:25:28 -0400

I also agree that time to discover FA could be a significant part of
hand-off time.
Would Pat and Theo mind sending me any paper or documents describing your
work and proactive and reactive handoffs?
I'd appreciate any info about the issue.
Thanks.

Eunsoo

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:16:50 -0700

My proactive I-D is already available
draft-calhoun-mobileip-proactive-fa-01.txt. Note, however, that the fast
handoff design team is currently working on a solution at this time, and we
expect to have something available for the WG soon.

PatC

---

From: Eunsoo Shim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:06:51 -0400

PatC,

Unfortunately I could not find the draft in the mobile IP WG home page.
Would you mind sending me a copy or a pointer to the document?
Thanks.

Eunsoo

---

From: Eunsoo Shim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:09:33 -0400

PatC,

Also may I ask a couple of questions?
In reality or implementations, what is the time range of handoff using the
current mobile IP spec?
And what is the time range targeted at in the fast handoff design team?
Thanks.

Eunsoo