Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Protocol Action: Mobile IP Challenge/Response Extensions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:16:19 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Mobile IP Challenge/Response
Extensions' <draft-ietf-mobileip-challenge-13.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IP Routing for
Wireless/Mobile Hosts Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary

 Mobile IP, as originally specified, defines an authentication
 extension (the Mobile-Foreign Authentication extension) by
 which a mobile node can authenticate itself to a foreign agent.
 Unfortunately, this extension does not provide ironclad replay
 protection, from the point of view of the foreign agent, and does
 not allow for the use of existing techniques (such as CHAP) for
 authenticating portable computer devices.  This specification,
 defines extensions for the Mobile IP Agent Advertisements and
 the Registration Request that allow a foreign agent to a use
 challenge/response mechanism to authenticate a mobile node that
 is roaming in it's serving area.

Working Group Summary
----------------------

Two WG last calls have been completed on this draft since October '99,
the most recent one in Jan 2000. The draft has undergone multiple
revisions based on the feedback received by the authors via the discussion
list and also at IETF46. WG members have not expressed any dissent about
this draft. The TIA 45.6 body has been very supportive of this draft as
this spec is a key component of the 3 wireless data architetcure put
forth by them.

Protocol Quality
----------------

The proposal in this I-D is the addition of three new extensions to
Mobile IP.
1. Mobile IP Agent Advertisement Challenge Extension
   - Part of Agent Advertisement
2. MN-FA Challenge Extension
   - Registration request from the MN to the FA
3. Generalized Mobile IP Authentication Extension
   - This spec specifies the MN-AAA Authentication subtype
     associated with the Generalized Auth extension.
     This is also included in the Reg request coming from the MN

Implementations of this I-D exist. The exact number is not known at this
time. Mobile IP implementations at Connectathon 2000 (1st week of March)
will be testing this feature. The results will be posted therefater.

This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Dave Oran.

Note to RFC Editor:

1) In Section 7 (Reserved SPIs for Mobile IP), please replace
         http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/mobileip-numbers.
    with
           http://www.iana.org/numbers.html

2) In Section 11 (IANA Considerations), please replace
         must be specified and approved by the Mobile IP working group
    with
         must be specified and approved by a designated expert.