Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] MIPv6 node location detection

From: Jarno Rajahalme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:37:06 +0300

Francis Dupont [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:
>  - someone suggested in the list to use a name which can be updated
>    when the home prefix is renumbered (but not renamed :-). It is a
>    fine idea out of the scope of the mobile IPv6 draft.

NAI extensions seem to be in scope, at least for Mobile IPv4. What if the
domain portion (or part of) of the NAI could be resolved to the home
prefix(es)? The TTL of each RR could reflect the lifetime of the prefix, and
could also be zero.

> An open question is what to do with DHCPv6?
>

Are NAIs already integral part of DHCPv6?

With regards,
        Jarno Rajahalme

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:57:09 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   >    fine idea out of the scope of the mobile IPv6 draft.

   NAI extensions seem to be in scope, at least for Mobile IPv4.

=> do you propose to use the realm part of NAIs has the default name?
This seems a natural way to do this...

   What if the domain portion (or part of) of the NAI could be
   resolved to the home prefix(es)?

=> it can point to the anycast address(es) reserved for home agents
but this kind of convention should be specified in a new document
(one more in the stack waiting mobile IPv6 publication as PS :-).

   The TTL of each RR could reflect the lifetime of the prefix,
   and could also be zero.

=> I think we should keep the standard (ie. DNS) meaning of RR TTL.
There is no need to have a too complex (ie too smart) thing and
current resolvers don't give the TTL (they should IMHO).

=> not in the current specs but there is a discussion about client
identifier then NAIs should not be far. In fact this identifier
should be derived from the NAI (there is an identifier per link/interface)...
IMHO NAI should be merged with other identifiers, like this one or
the user_FQDN ID payload of IKE or Subject(Alt)Name in certificates.
Of course the central user of NAIs is AAA...

Regards

[email-masked]