Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] MIPv6 node location detection

From: Jarno Rajahalme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:16:02 +0300

John F. Leser wrote:
> - Then, whenever a MN receives an RA with the H bit set, it will know
> with certainty whether that RA came from the current home or foreign
> network, or from some new network, based on whether the prefix of the
> MN's home or current CO address is advertised in the RA. This way,
> movement onto a new link is detected as soon as any home agent on that
> link sends an advertisement.
>

What if the MN never receives a RA with the H bit set?
I hope you do not assume all links have home agents.

With regards,

        Jarno Rajahalme

---

From: "John F. Leser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:00:50 -0400

> What if the MN never receives a RA with the H bit set?

Then the mobile node falls back on some slower mode of movement
detection.

> I hope you do not assume all links have home agents.
Routers could be configured to fill this role while not accepting home
registrations by setting the H bit and inclunding a home agent information
option with 0 home agent lifetime (This is currently against spec, but
could be defined to mean 'I have complete prefix information but will not
serve as a home agent')  Or, perhapse it would be better/cleaner to define
another bit the RA to indicate that this router has the complete prefix
list.

>         Jarno Rajahalme

-------------------------------------------------------------------
John Leser                      UNH InterOperability Lab
IP/Routing Consortium Engineer  Morse Hall, 39 College Rd, Room 332
Tel: (603) 862-0090 (8-5 EST)   Durham, NH 03824-3525
Fax: (603) 862-1761             Web: www.iol.unh.edu
-------------------------------------------------------------------