Subject: [MOBILE-IP] FW: DATELINE EXTENSION: IPDPS-2001 Workshop on PDC Issues in WNMC

From: Ron Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:26:31 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Kwan-Wu Chin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 1:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DATELINE EXTENSION: IPDPS-2001 Workshop on PDC Issues in WNMC

------------------
Dear Collegues,

  Sorry if you received multiple copies of this
CFP.

Dateline Extended: ** 10th November 2000 **

Cheers
Kwan
Motorola Australia Research Centre (MARC)

------------------------------- CFP ------------------------------
                    1st  International Workshop on
                   Parallel and Distributed Computing
                     Issues in Wireless Networks and
                           Mobile Computing

IPDPS 2001 WORKSHOPS
April 23-27, 2001
Hyatt Regency
San Francisco Airport
*******************************************************************
General Chair
Sajal K. Das, The University of Texas at Arlington, USA

Program  Co-Chairs
Mohan J. Kumar, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
                and The University of Texas at  Arlington, USA
Paul Spirakis, Computer Technology Institute, Patras, Greece
*********************************************************************
Mobile computing has emerged as an important area of computing today as
we move to the next millennium. This has been made possible due to the
tremendous and continued growth of wireless communications and network
technology over the past decade, providing infrastructures for "anytime
anywhere" access to distributed computing systems and information
repositories. The mobility of users offers new challenges to seamless
connectivity in a distributed, heterogeneous network of wireline and
wireless components.  Several techniques and algorithms developed by the
parallel and distributed computing community can be applied to solve
typical  wireless networks and  mobile computing : routing, scheduling,
load balancing, cache coherence, information access, and QoS
provisioning problems. The objective of this workshop is to bring
together technologists and researchers of international reputation in
the areas of Parallel and Distributed Computing and Wireless Networks
and Mobile Computing in order to have a forum for  discussions, exchange
of ideas  and presentations.
Authors are invited to submit original unpublished manuscripts for for
this workshop. Accepted papers will be published in the proceedings of
the IPDPS workshops

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
* Processor Architectures for Mobile and Wearable Computers
* Wireless networks in grid computing applications
* Routing in adhoc networks
* Parallel and distributed techniques for solving problems in mobile
  computing
* Distributed techniques for QoS Provisioning in wireless networks
* Distributed caches in mobile computing environments
* Caching, prefetching, pushcaching and replication to enhance
  information access in wireless networks
* Distributed wireless sensor networks
* Routing and location independent information access
* Scheduling issues in mobile computing
* Parallel/distributed algorithms for mobile computing systems
* Distributed Wireless multimedia systems
* Active Networks

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Authors are invited to submit summaries of original unpublished research
to one opf the the Workshop Chairs.  All submissions will be reviewed by
referees. Summaries should not exceed ten  (10) single-spaced pages of
text using 12 point size type on 8.5 x 11 inch pages. References,
figures, tables, etc. may be included in addition to the ten  pages of
text. The summary should include an abstract of approximately 100
words.  The corresponding author is requested to include in a cover
letter: (1) complete postal address; (2) email address; (3) phone
number; and (4) fax number. Submissions may be by hard copy or by
email.  Electronic submissions are preferred and should be sent to
[email-masked] or [email-masked]. Authors should submit the
cover page in ASCII form followed by a PostScript (level 2) file and
make sure that it will print on a PostScript printer that uses 8.5 x 11
inch (US letter size) paper.  For hard copy submissions, authors should
submit seven (7) hard copies of their paper along with the cover letter
to Mohan Kumar or Paul Spirakis.
All  manuscripts  will be reviewed.  Manuscripts   must be received by
October 30, 2000.  Submissions received after the  due date or exceeding
the  length    limit may not  be    considered. Notification of review
decisions will be mailed by December 10, 2000. Camera-ready papers are
due January  15, 2001.  Proceedings will  be available at the
Conference.
*********************************************************************
IMPORTANT DATES:
November 10,  2000         Workshop Paper Due (Extended)
December 10,  2000         Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
January  15,  2001         Camera-Ready Paper Due
*********************************************************************
Workshop Program Co-Chairs
Mohan Kumar
School of Computer Science
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U 1987, Perth WA 1987
AUSTRALIA
Fax: +61 8 9266 2819
E-mail: [email-masked]

and

Paul Spirakis
Director and Senior Researcher
Computer Technology Institute
61 Riga Fereou Str., 26221 Patras, Greece
Patras, Greece
Fax: +30 61 993 973, +30 61 222086
E-mail: [email-masked]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Technical Program Committee
------------------------------

Maurizio Bonuccelli University of Pisa, Italy
Azzedine Boukerche, University of North Texas, USA
Luca Cardelli, Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK
Kwan-Wu Chin, Motorola Australia Research Centre
Kee Chaing Chua, National University of Singapore
Marco Conti, Italian National Research Council, Italy
Samir Das, University of Cincinatti, USA
Xiaohua Jia, City University of Hong Kong
Jan van Leeuwen University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
John Lui, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Marios Mavronicolas, University of Cyprus, Cyprus
Cristina Pinnotti, Italian National Research Council
Sotiris Nikoletseas Computer Technology Institute, Greece
Don Sannella  University of Edinburgh, Scotland
Mukesh Singhal, Ohio State University, USA
Nitin Vaidya, Texas A&M University, USA
Yongbing Zhang  University of Tsukuba, Japan
Martha Steenstrup, BBN Technologies, USA
Albert Zomaya, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Somprakash Bandopadhyay, PWC Global, Calcutta, India
Stefano Basagni, University of Texas at Dallas, USA

Steering Commitee (Under creation)
------------------------------
Victor Bahl, Microsoft, Seattle, USA
Kalyan Basu, Nortel Networks, Richardson, USA
Andrew Campbell, Columbia University, USA
Imrich Chlamtac, The University of Texas at Dallas
Sajal Das, The University of Texas at Arlington, USA

Publicity Co-Chairs:
------------------------------
Kwan-Wu Chin, Motorola Australia Research Centre
Sotiris Nikoletseas Computer Technology Institute

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:05:00 -0700

Hello Ron,

In this case, the cure has been far worse than the disease.
Now, I cannot tell who sent the e-mail, and I can't select
on that field.

Moreover, I would rather not have to read through:

> This  message  was  originally  submitted  by  [email-masked]  to
> the
> MOBILE-IP list at  STANDARDS.NORTELNETWORKS.COM. If you simply  forward it
> back
> to the  list, using a  mail command that  generates "Resent-" fields  (ask
> your
> local user  support or  consult the  documentation of your  mail program  if
> in
> doubt), it will be distributed and the explanations you are now reading will
> be
> removed automatically.  If on  the other  hand you  edit the  contributions
> you
> receive  into a  digest,  you  will have  to  remove  this paragraph
> manually.
> Finally, you should be able to contact  the author of this message by using
> the
> normal "reply" function of your mail program.
>
> ---------------- Message requiring your approval (154 lines)

before I get to read anything of actual interest.

I hope this can be fixed.  I don't love spam, but it's far better
than this alternative.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:12:24 -0700

There is unfortunately no real great solution to eliminating SPAM. On my
mailing lists, I restrict postings to people that are subscribed to the list.
Of course, the problem that we are seeing is that some people have subscribed
using their aliases (e.g. [email-masked], as opposed to
[email-masked]). Such people can no longer post, unless they change
their subscription parameters on the list.

So, I would propose the following:
1. Let messages bounce if the sender is not on the list. Do not forward such
e-mails to the list yourself (it is rather confusing). It is agravating for
the sender, but they'll get over it once they get their subscription changed.
2. Let the list members worry about changing their own subscription
information.

my 2 cents,

PatC