Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] $131 per month total health insurance

From: Bryan Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:03:43 -0700

How much commercial garbage can we expect to get on this list server?

[email-masked] on 10/10/2000 07:52:00 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Bryan Cook/Corporate/AirTouch)
Subject:  [MOBILE-IP] $131 per month total health insurance

---

From: Steven Glass - Solaris Software <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:50:54 -0400

> How much commercial garbage can we expect to get on this list server?

    I reached my breaking point a while ago, but what can you do?  Well, glad
I asked!  You can require the poster to be subscribed.  Yes, it'll be possible
for someone to {subscribe, spam, unsubscribe}, but since we *also* require
email confirmation (e.g. subscribe <email@addr> causes a "someone (probably
you) has requested this email address be added to <mip>" email to be generated
to <email@addr>, please reply with ########## to be added to <mip>) means:

        - the posting address must be reachable - no more spamming from
            unreply-able email addresses, which will likely make spammers
            feel more accountable, so they [likely] go away, and

        - no more spaming from the auto-spammers which (IMHO) will remove
              [somethine like / at least / whatever] 85% of the spam we see.

    Yes, it also means if you're subscribed as <[email-masked]> you can't post
from <[email-masked]> unless your mailer allows you to change from
and/or reply-to, and your ISP allows you to post (apparently) from a non-ISP
account.  Again, IMHO, I don't think that's a high price to pay to return to
mostly content on this list.

    Any chance we could [agree to] at least *try* this!?!

                              Cheers,
                                  Steve