Subject: [MOBILE-IP] new I-D

From: Eunsoo Shim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 02:36:31 -0500

Hi,

We have submitted a new I-D to the Mobile IP WG recently.

Title: Fast Handoff Using Neighbor Information
Authors: Eunsoo Shim, Richard D. Gitlin
File: draft-shim-mobileip-neighbor-00.txt

It is available at
http://www.ctr.columbia.edu/~eunsoo/paper/draft-shim-mobileip-neighbor-00.txt

We'd appreciate your comments on the drafts.
Thanks.

Eunsoo
PS) The following is the abstract of the draft.

Abstract 
    
   We propose a new fast handoff mechanism in wireless IP using 
   neighboring Foreign Agent information. Our proposal is based on the 
   policy of utilizing, or perhaps even wasting, wired bandwidth between 
   Foreign Agents, while minimizing rf (radio frequency) bandwidth 
   exchanges, in order that handoff latency is minimized. We minimize 
   the handoff latency by initiating data forwarding to the possible new 
   foreign agent candidates (i.e., the neighbor foreign agents) 
   immediately when the mobile node is about to start the link layer 
   handoff procedure. This proposal builds upon the Mobile IP handoff 
   procedure by adding a couple of additional message types. The handoff 
   mechanism is a unified procedure for inter- and intra-domain handoffs 
   and provides flexible choices to the network while maintaining 
   transparency to the mobile node. The neighbor learning process is a 
   distributed and dynamic mechanism.