Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Binding Cache entries per IPv6 address at Correspondent Node

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 07:38:16 -0800

Hello Mattias,

Some time ago, you sent the following e-mail:

> Hi,
>
> during testing at Connectathon 2000 I stumbled into the following
> problem:
>
> A CN/HA with more than one interface address may get independent BUs
> sent to it. The mobile node will consider them as different nodes and
> keep one BUL entry for each of them. Especially, it will use independent
> sets of sequence numbers, which in turn will cause the receiving CN/HA
> to get very confused (and not accept the BUs).
>
> This can happen to any host/router that has multiple interface addresses
> of the same scope as the home address, not only nodes with multiple
> interfaces.
>
> My suggestion is to keep a Binding Cache on a CN/HA for every interface
> address that's assigned, and to clear this out in the draft under
> "Conceptual structs". Currently you can read both do and don't out of
> the spec. It will be more complex, but it is the logical way to do it.

Here is what I have added to the Internet Draft, as you suggested:

 Binding Cache

         A cache, maintained by each IPv6 node, of bindings for other
         nodes.  A separate Binding Cache SHOULD be maintained by each
         IPv6 node for each of its IPv6 addresses.

                      ...........

                 The contents of all of a node's Binding Cache entries,
         for each of its IPv6 addresses, must be cleared when the node
         reboots.

In addition, I have changed several places where it seems to
read better to allow multiple Binding Caches (one per IPv6 address).

Does this fix the problem, without introducing any new problems?

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:12:09 +0100

Hi Charlie,

>          IPv6 node for each of its IPv6 addresses.
Perfect! I can't see a problem now. And there should be nothing on the
Mobile's side in the spec to update, such as the Binding Update or
Binding Update List.

/Mattias