Subject: [MOBILE-IP] MIPv6 (issue 13): Rate Limiting for Sending Binding Updates

From: Moter Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:55:33 +0800

Section 10.10 specifies a MN should use a value for the initial
retransmission timer that is at least 1.5 times longer than (RetransTimer *
DupAddrDetectTransmits), that is 1.5s for initial retransmission timer.  The
retransmission must use an exponential back-off process, in which the
timeout period is doubled upon each retransmission.  Therefore, for the
first time home registration, the sequence of retransmission timer will be
1.5s, 3s, 6s, 12s, 24s, ..., 256s.

However, section 10.11 specifies after sending MAX_FAST_UPDATES consecutive
BU to a particular node with the same CoA, the MN should reduce its rate of
sending BU, to the rate of SLOW_UPDATE_RATE per second.

It looks to me these 2 sections make a new but confusing requirment.  Assume
a MN sends BU for the first time home registration but somehow does not
receive BAck, the sequence of retransmission timer will be 1.5s, 3s, 6s,
12s, 10s, 10s, ....  Doesn't this look confusing? Or did I miss anything?

Appreciate any advice.

        Sincerely
        Moter Du

        ============================================================
        Moter Du                                  D410, Siemens STSL
        phone   +886 2 25186011
        Fax     +886 2 25053866
        mailto:[email-masked]
        ============================================================