Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS BAR ASSOCIATION FOUNDATION CHARIMAN ROBERT E. LEE SCHOLARSHIP AND INTERNSHIP FUND

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:31:10 -0500

Foundation News

The Foundation is accepting applications for the Robert E. Lee Scholarship and Intership
Fund. Robert E. Lee Scholarship and Internship Fund Application here
Volunteer Services Committee

Join the Volunteer Services Committee at Martha's Table on Sundays, January 26, at 10:00
a.m. 2114 14th, NW (14th & U Streets).

Those interested in volunteering for McKenna's Wagon, mobile soup kitchen should contact
Tom Van Wazer - 202-736-8119. McKenna's Wagon departs from Martha's Table on Sunday late
afternoon and distributes meals at one or two locations in the city. Volunteer on January
26.

==============================================================================================================

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS BAR ASSOCIATION FOUNDATION CHARIMAN ROBERT E. LEE SCHOLARSHIP AND
INTERNSHIP FUND

The Federal Communications Bar Association Foundation, a non-profit charitable and
educational organization under Section
501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, was established in 1991.  The Foundation provides
FCBA members with a vehicle for volunteering with their colleagues to meet a variety of
community service needs.  More than 3,000 private and government lawyers, law
students and others interested in the field of communications law belong to the FCBA and
the Foundation.

The Foundation's mission is to:

(1) Support worthwhile communications-related and educational projects, as well as other
community service projects, particularly those
directed towards children and students, through financial contributions and through
volunteer services provided by Foundation members
and others.

(2) Foster greater public awareness and understanding of the development of communications
technology, resources and law.

Chairman Robert E. Lee Scholarship and Internship Fund

In 1993 the Foundation established a Scholarship and Internship Fund in memory of former
Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Chairman Robert E. Lee, who passed away in April 1993 after serving on the FCC for almost
thirty years. Chairman Lee served as a
Commissioner of the FCC for 28 years and was instrumental in the early development of
color television, among other contributions to
federal communications policy.

For the tenth consecutive year, the Federal Communications Bar Association Foundation will
award stipends to law students from its
Chairman Robert E. Lee Scholarship and Internship Fund.  In 2003, the Foundation will
award at least four $2,500 stipends to law
students employed as unpaid summer interns in positions with the FCC and other government
Agencies or entities with jurisdiction over
the communications industry (i.e., broadcasting, cable television, telephony, satellites
and information technology).

In addition, the Foundation will select one outstanding intern among the four chosen to
receive an additional stipend of $600 for the
summer, as the “Max Paglin Intern.”  Mr. Paglin was the former General Counsel and
Executive Director of the FCC, and the founder
of the Golden Jubilee Commission on Telecommunications, which compiled a definitive
legislative history of the Communications Act.

Requirements

Applicants will be selected on the basis of: (1) a demonstrated interest in the
communications field, (2) involvement in community
activities, (3) having secured or having pending, an unpaid summer position (internship)
in communications with government offices, and
(4) dependence on financial assistance in order to accept an unpaid internship in a
government agency involved in communications.
Applications for a Lee Fund scholarship should be submitted to Heidi M. Kurtz, FCBA
Foundation, 1020 19th Street, N.W.,
Suite 325, Washington, D.C. 20036, by March 21, 2003.  Winners will be notified by April
5, 2003.

                FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS BAR ASSOCIATION FOUNDATION
             APPLICATION FOR CHAIRMAN ROBERT E. LEE INTERNSHIP FUNDING
                       SUMMER 2003 (APPLICATIONS DUE MARCH 21, 2003)

Please type or print clearly and/or use additional paper.

Name:

Law School:

Mailing/school address:

Permanent address:

Phone:

Fax:

E-mail:

1. Are you in good academic standing?

2. Expected year of graduation and degree:

3. Anticipated internship position and status of internship application, including whether
you have a firm offer and, if
not, when you expect an offer.  Please note that you are responsible for securing the
internship.  This application is for
funding only.  We will consider candidates who have not received firm offers however, you
are responsible for notifying
the FCBA when you have received an offer.

4. Will your work involve communications law?  If so, please describe.

5. Will you be paid by the agency?

6. Anticipated number of weeks to be spent in this position (and approximate dates):

7. Please provide the name of a contact person at the office in which you will be working:

8. Are you currently receiving need-based financial aid from your school?

9. Would you be able to accept this internship without financial aid?

10. Do you expect to receive other grants for this internship?
If yes, please describe on a separate sheet, including anticipated amount of funding.

11. The FCBA Foundation expects to make grants of $2,500 for the summer for each funded
internship, as well as an
additional award of $600 to one outstanding intern.  If this amount is inadequate and
would affect your acceptance of
the internship, please explain on a separate sheet.

12. Using a separate sheet, please briefly describe your interest in communications and
your community activities.

Signature:  __________________________________   Date:  ____________

Please send the application no later than Friday, March 21, 2003 to:

Heidi M. Kurtz
Deputy Director
FCBA Foundation
1020 19th Street, N.W.
Suite 325
Washington, D.C.  20036
Phone:    (202) 293-4000
Fax:        (202) 293-4317
E-mail:               [email-masked]
Website: http://www.fcba.org

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/