Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Long Beach Opens Internet Free-Access Zone

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:12:01 -0500

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/0106/web-beach-01-10-03.asp

City opens Internet free-access zone
BY Matt Caterinicchia 
Jan. 10, 2003 

Dial-up connections and Internet access fees are a thing of the past to 
visitors in Long Beach, Calif. Visitors to the downtown area can now connect to 
the Internet for free, courtesy of the city's new Downtown Wireless Internet 
District.

The new arrangement in Long Beach enables users in particular "hot zones" — 
such as downtown restaurants and coffee shops — to access the Internet free of 
charge.

Long Beach can provide the high-speed access at no charge thanks to a network 
with wireless access points provided by Intermec Technologies Corp. These 
access points provide a broadband connection to a centrally located switch at 
speeds up to 11 megabits/sec. An average dial-up connection runs at 54 
kilobits/sec.

All travelers need is a laptop computer and a wireless network card, said Lois 
Fenimore, senior communications specialist for Intermec. "Once the user opens 
the Internet browser, they are automatically directed to portal site for Long 
Beach's Pine Avenue Hot Zone. The users must then provide an e-mail address and 
are then able to surf the Web free of charge," she said.

According to Bruce Mayes, wireless zone project manager for the economic 
development bureau in Long Beach, users are limited to one hour. "That is more 
than enough time," he said. Users must also be in a four-block area of downtown 
Long Beach in order to gain access to the portal, he noted.

The majority of funding was provided by donations from vendors and sponsors. 
The city pays the annual $4,000 connection fee.

"The restaurateurs have given us very positive feedback," Mayes said. "We have 
received a lot of 'now that's very cool' kind of responses."

The free Internet access has been available since Nov. 15, 2002, and the 
scheduled public launch will be today. 

According to Mayes, this is just the beginning of a new concept of 
communication. "It is good to hear a few pieces of good news in the technology 
sector at the present time," he said.

Long Beach plans to offer similar Internet access at Long Beach Airport within 
30 to 45 days.

Caterinicchia is a reporting intern for Federal Computer Week.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/