Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TV amplified antennas

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:59:14 -0500

From:  Robert Schwaninger <[email-masked]>
Date:  Wed Jan 22, 2003  9:56 am
Subject:  TV amplified antennas

The FCC is sitting on several requests from UHF operators whose systems are suffering
interference from unintended oscillations within amplifiers used in association with
television antennas mounted in recreational vehicles and for local channel reception in
association with direct broadcast satellite systems.  The UHF operators want the FCC to
move against the manufacturer(s) and demand a recall based on their failing to produce
devices employing reasonable engineering practices in accord with Part 15 of the FCC
Rules.  Anyone got any additional information or war stories on this topic?  I want to
shore up the case.

 Robert Schwaninger

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:39:19 -0500

I posted my war story last summer. In short, Radio Shit Rabbit Ears with
built in amp shut down Charter Communications call dispatch center for  1
week during the peak of the summer. We located the problem 1/2 mile away in
a camper trailer that the owner have left  a camper at camp site for the
summer. As much as I wanted to leave the camper unplug I was afraid the
refrigerator would cause a real STINK. Had to wait for the owner to return
for the weekend to purchase his old ears.----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcel" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 2:59 PM
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TV amplified antennas

---

From: Stephen Verbil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:18:57 -0500

Robert:

In this month's issue of GPS World, a monthly magazine for the GPS industry 
and user community, a feature article detailed the complete jamming of GPS 
receivers at Moss Landing, California, a harbor within Monterrey Bay.  The 
culprits (there were three, but their interference appeared at different 
times) were all amplified television antennas for recreational vehicles (in 
this case, boats).  You can review the information (at least you can during 
January, I suspect the link will change in February) at this URL:

http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/

This was very strong, harmful interference which completely prevented GPS use 
by mariners in the area.  As you will see in the article, even with trained 
folks looking for the source(s), it took quite a while.  I wonder how many 
other harbors are experiencing similar problems, but have no one availbale 
who is technically atute enough to track down the culprits?

---Steve Verbil

On Thursday 23 January 2003 09:39 am, you wrote:

> > The FCC is sitting on several requests from UHF operators whose systems
>
> are suffering
>
> > interference from unintended oscillations within amplifiers used in
>
> association with
>
> > television antennas mounted in recreational vehicles and for local
> > channel
>
> reception in
>
> > association with direct broadcast satellite systems.  The UHF operators
>
> want the FCC to
>
> > move against the manufacturer(s) and demand a recall based on their
>
> failing to produce
>
> > devices employing reasonable engineering practices in accord with Part 15
>
> of the FCC
>
> > Rules.  Anyone got any additional information or war stories on this
>
> topic?  I want to
>
> > shore up the case.
> >
> >  Robert Schwaninger
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >