Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 05:15:05 -0500

The FCC is asking for comments on the supplemental material submitted by several
organizations as part of the "Consensus Plan" to reduce interference-- and reorganize--
the 800 MHz band. Check our Nextel page for the link:

http://www.911Dispatch.com/nextel/

--------------------------
The Hound doesn't notice many public safety violators among the FCC's crack-downs, but did
see Alpha Ambulance, Inc. of Puerto Rico being hit with a $10,000 fine for "operation of
radio transmission equipment without Commission authorization." The FCC received an
interference complaint from Puerto Rico's EMS office that pointed to 463.100/468.100 MHz,
used for emergency medical coordination. Finding no license, the FCC began to radio-locate
the signal...right to Alpha's offices. The company owner admitted using the frequencies,
and produced an expired license. The FCC nicked them $10,000, but the company claimed they
couldn't pay. The FCC examined their tax records, and then wrote, "We conclude that its
gross revenues are sufficient to enable it to pay a $10,000 forfeiture." Ouch!

--------------------------
Looking for interesting eBay items? Check this interesting patch and special 1984 Olympics
edition of a California Highway Patrol communications pin. Surf:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=752117632

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1985717332

--------------------------
More information about the ill-fated bids for Nebraska's state-wide radio system: the
M/A-Com bid proposed 60 sites to cover 77,227 square miles, which doesn't quite coincide
with other state-wide radio systems. States like Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and New Jersey
require one site for about every 350 square miles. Even Florida's system covers only 402
square miles per site. And M/A-Com's proposal? It's a whopping 1,287 square miles per
site. Using the other states' average, Nebraska would need 220 sites, instead of the 60
sites that M/A-Com proposed, and cost $60 million instead of the $31 million M/A-Com bid.
At least one group has called the M/A-Com figures "ludicrous."

--------------------------
Oh brother! The FCC is asking for comments on a waiver request filed by wireless carrier
Sprint Spectrum asking for a 6-month extension of the FCC's deadline for providing that
100% of its new digital handsets activated are location-capable by Dec. 31, 2002. And get
this! The FCC noted, "Sprint asserts that, in this economic market, location-capable
phones are at a competitive disadvantage because they are more expensive than
non-location-capable phones and because Sprint believes that it cannot advertise the
benefits of location-capable phones until more Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) can
process Phase II location data." Sprint aid it expects that 100% of the phones it sells to
distributors will be location-capable by March 31, 2003, but that it will take more time
for distributors to sell out their remaining non-location-capable inventory.

--------------------------
Pierre (SD) city commissioner Larry Weiss held a press conference to assure residents that
the city's public safety communications system is working properly--it was a "mechanical"
problem that caused problems, he said. Seems that two medical incidents couldn't be
dispatched to AMR by radio, because of an open microphone in what police chief Allen Aden
described as the private vehicle of an AMR staff member. Huh? The AMR crews were contacted
by telephone in both cases, but one of the two patients died, raising concerns. "There was
a radio issue. It has been corrected," he said Weiss. Since the incident, AMR has switched
from the frequency shared with the city's public works and emergency management agency,
and added time-out circuits to their mobile radios.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/