Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Have AT&T Broadband Internet? Your email address is about to change - again

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:48:11 -0500

AT&T to change e-mail address, again 

By Tomi Kilgore, 
CBS.MarketWatch.com

1:24 PM ET Jan. 11, 2003 
 
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) 

Get ready for another jolt if your e-mail address has "attbi.com" at the end.
 
Just as 1.9 million AT&T Broadband Internet users got comfortable with their new
addresses, they will have to change them again.

A little more than a year after the bankruptcy of ExciteAtHome forced users to change
their addresses to "@attbi.com" from "@home.com," users will have to suffer through
another change in the next few months to "@comcast.net."

During the switch from AtHome service to AT&T Broadband, widespread outages in service
were reported for up to a week as servers changed and customers' computers required new
configurations.

Comcast spokeswoman Sarah Eder said Saturday that its residential customers will start
receiving notice of the e-mail address change in the next few weeks. She said businesses
might have different agreements with AT&T Broadband that would preserve their e-mail
addresses.

Under the new ownership of Comcast (CMCSK: news, chart, profile), which completed its
purchase in November of cable operations from AT&T (T: news, chart, profile), subscribers
will have at least 60 days to use both their old and new addresses. San Francisco Bay Area
customers have just received the news via an article in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Eder said Comcast has a technical team working on the transition and is still determining
when various regions in the AT&T Broadband network will switch over. Eder stressed that
the company wants to make the transition as smooth as possible.

An AT&T Broadband customer-service representative on a help line confirmed the change
Saturday, but said details had not been distributed on dealing with inquiries.

AT&T Broadband, which is the division Comcast bought, does not own the rights to the AT&T
name and is making the domain-name switch to avoid a royalty problem, the Chronicle said.

In the Bay Area, AT&T Broadband customers have already received notice that they will have
to switch cable modems, though Eder said that is unrelated to the e-mail address change.
New units are to arrive in the mail, with several computer settings requiring a change.

Customers who put their new Internet modems in service by Feb. 28 will receive a $5
billing credit.

Tomi Kilgore is a reporter for CBS.MarketWatch.com in New York. Gary Olson of
MarketWatch's San Francisco bureau contributed to this report.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/