Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Northwest ; New Journal Will Cover Computer-Game Field

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:32:14 -0500

Northwest ; New Journal Will Cover Computer-Game Field
Source: Seattle Post - Intelligencer
Publication date: 2003-01-02
Arrival time: 2003-01-03

The ivory tower and the commercial field of computer-game programming are
about to come closer together.

The quarterly Journal of Game Development will debut next year. Like most
respected scientific journals, it will let outside researchers vet articles ahead
of time.

Its founders note that computer-game programmers regularly borrow from
fields such as physics and artificial intelligence, but serious research
specifically in game development is lacking outside companies such as
Microsoft and Nintendo.

That's starting to change as universities begin offering courses and
conducting game research, said David Pallai, president of Charles River
Media. His new journal is aimed at serving that emerging community.

Topics will include theories behind recent industry developments as well as
new technologies that affect game development.

Wireless stock sector fell 59.95% last year

Wireless communications was among the most declined sectors of the
stock market in 2002, falling 59.95 percent.

The decline was more than felt by two Washington companies. Western
Wireless Corp. stock dropped more than 81 percent, falling from $28.25 at
the start of the year to $5.30 at Tuesday's close. That was the worst
performance of any stock in the Harris Washington 100 index. Not far
behind were AT&T Wireless, down nearly 63 percent to $5.65, and
Nextel Partners, off 49 percent at $6.07.

The sector's performance was even worse than that of airlines, off 43
percent, or semiconductors, off almost 50 percent on the Dow Jones
86-sector list.

NATIONAL

HIV-test manufacturer takes over old steel mill

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Springing up on the site of a long-shuttered steel mill is
a high-tech manufacturer that will make a newly approved method for
detecting HIV more rapidly.

In November, OraSure announced federal approval of its OraQuick test,
which clinic operators say is a huge improvement over methods that require
people to wait several days.

"Some people don't come back for the regular test results, anywhere from
40 to 50 percent, depending on the neighborhood," said Dr. Beny Primm,
executive director of the Addiction Research and Treatment Corp., which
gives HIV tests at clinics and a mobile facility in New York City.

Results now take 20 minutes. OraQuick uses a blood drop rather than saliva
scraping, which had to be sent to a lab for analysis.

OraSure is expanding into a new 50,000-square-foot laboratory and
manufacturing facility in the shadow of rusting Bethlehem Steel furnaces.

Quick Hits is written by P-I reporters John Cook and Dan Richman. Send
comments to [email-masked]. This report includes information from
The Associated Press and Bloomberg News.

Publication date: 2003-01-02

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35602220&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/