Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cubic Receives $6.2 Million Joint Tactical Radio System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:10:14 -0500

Cubic Receives $6.2 Million Joint Tactical Radio System
Waveform Development Contract
Company’s software will help the military communicate with public safety agencies

SAN DIEGO, Calif., January 14, 2003--Cubic Corporation (AMEX: CUB) has received
a $6.2 million cost-plus-incentive-fee contract from the U.S. Army’s
Communications-Electronics Command (CECOM) in support of the Joint Tactical
Radio System (JTRS) Joint Program Office (JPO) to help develop the JTRS. If
exercised, options would bring the total value to almost $14 million.

Under the 18-month contract, the Communications Business Unit of Cubic Defense
Applications will develop waveform software that will help all branches of the military
and multiple public agencies communicate with one another.

“The military has an interest in communicating with public safety radios for Homeland
Security and Defense reasons. This contract win is significant for Cubic in that it
makes us a participant in what is arguably one of the most important military
communications programs today,” said Gerald Dinkel, president and CEO of Cubic
Defense Applications (CDA).

The JTRS is a family of software definable tactical radios that provide commanders
with voice, data and video capability. The state-of-the art radios are based on a
common Software Communication Architecture (SCA) that ensures
interoperability–or compatibility–with current and future systems.

JTRS had its genesis in lessons learned from inter-service communication problems
in Grenada and during Operation Desert Storm. Troops were not able to
communicate with one another because the various radio equipment used by the
different services was not interoperable, or compatible, with each other.

Future JTRS compliant military radios will utilize SCA compliant hardware to run a
variety of software-based waveforms for the particular communications format a radio
is designed to use.

“This is a very strategic win for us in that it builds on our experience in what is known
as “software definable radio.” The software used for these radios can be likened to
the software applications that run on a personal computer. It’s the change in
waveform software that allows these radios to be reconfigurable and interoperable,
two key features the Joint Services consider essential for tactical radio
communications, network-centric capabilities and reduced life cycle costs,” said
Rick Lober, senior vice president of CDA’s communications segment.

Cubic’s software will be in compliance with the Association of Public Safety
Communications Officials (APCO)-25, established for the use of digital technology in
modern generation two-way radio communications.

JTRS goal is to migrate today’s legacy radio communications systems to systems
with standard open systems architecture. This migration will be implemented in
phases, balancing operational requirements, weapon system integration issues and
funding constraints.

Cubic Defense Applications, one of Cubic Corporation's two major segments,
produces instrumented air and ground combat training systems, battle command
training, studies and analysis, simulations and simulation support for U. S. and allied
military forces. The group also produces high technology avionics, data links and
communications products for government and commercial customers, and a wide
range of technical and logistics services. The corporation's other major segment,
Cubic Transportation Systems, designs and manufactures automatic fare collection
systems for public mass transit authorities. For more information about Cubic, see
the company's website at www.cubic.com.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/OdoN7C/oEZFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/