Subject: [mobile-ip] Mipv6 issue #221: may/MAY keywords in RR optimizations

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:33:15 +0200

Jim,

The words should indeed have been "MAY", not "may". I changed
this.

Jari
----

James Kempf wrote:

    I'm looking at the following text in draft 20:

    Given that the tokens are normally expected to be usable for
    MAX_TOKEN_LIFE seconds, the mobile node MAY use them beyond a single
    run of the return routability procedure until MAX_TOKEN_LIFE expires.
    After this the mobile node SHOULD NOT use the tokens.  A fast moving
    mobile node may reuse a recent home keygen token from a correspondent
                       ^^^
    node when moving to a new location, and just acquire a new care-of
    keygen token to show routability in the new location.

    While this does not save the number of round-trips due to the
    simultaneous processing of home and care-of return routability tests,
    there are fewer messages being exchanged, and a potentially long
    round-trip through the home agent is avoided.  Consequently, this
    optimization is often useful.  A mobile node that has multiple home
    addresses, may also use the same care-of keygen token for Binding
                     ^^^
    Updates concerning all of these addresses.

    I'm curious whether the indicated instances of may should be MAY?