Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [justnetnews] ISTS Gap Analysis Project

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:01:16 -0500

**************************************************************

           Institute for Security Technology Studies
                      Gap Analysis Project
                                                
                       Request for Input

**************************************************************

The following is a request from Kevin O'Shea of the Institute
for Security Technology Studies at Dartmouth. For more
information, please contact Mr. O'Shea at:

Kevin O'Shea
Technical Analysis Group
Cyber Attack Investigative Tools: Gap Analysis Project
Institute for Security Technology Studies
45 Lyme Road
Hanover, NH 03755
[email-masked]
603-646-0700

--------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Kevin O'Shea and I am a researcher with the
Technical Analysis Group at the Institute for Security
Technology Studies at Dartmouth College. We are looking for
assistance from you and your organization in identifying
existing tools and technologies for investigating cyber
attacks for our Gap Analysis project.

The Institute for Security Technology Studies was created in
early 2000 with the mission to serve as a center for counter
terrorism technology research, development, and evaluation,
with a particular focus on cyber-security and critical
information infrastructure.

Additional information can be found at
http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu

The Technical Analysis Group is developing a research and
development agenda for law enforcement tools and technologies
for investigating cyber attacks. We recently finished the
first step of the project; a national Needs Assessment where
we asked law enforcement about the technological impediments
they face when responding to and investigating cyber attacks.
The findings have been published and can be downloaded at:
http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/TAG/lena.htm

We are now moving onto the next phase of the project, the Gap
Analysis, where we will gather and catalog the available
tools, and match them up against the perceived needs of the
cyber attack investigators. The results will illustrate where
additional research and development should be conducted.
Additional information regarding the Gap Analysis project can
be found at:

http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/TAG/gap_analysis.htm

Submit a Solution
-----------------

If you have developed or used a tool which assists in the
investigation of cyber attacks, we ask that you visit our
"Submit a Solution" page to provide a detailed description of
the functionality of the tool and which Law Enforcement
specific impediment(s) the tool addresses.

The "Submit a Solution" page can be found at the following
URL:

http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/TAG/subtool/register.htm

The Investigative Research for Infrastructure Assurance group
here at ISTS has initiated a project to examine training
programs for cyber attack investigators. Details on the
project and contact information on how to become involved can
be found at:

http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/IRIA/projects/d_letraining.htm

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you believe
would have information to contribute to the project. We thank
you for helping us with this national effort, and we look
forward to working together in the future.

Sincerely,

Kevin O'Shea

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/