Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Wis. Man Charged With High-Tech Stalking

From: "Bulldog <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 16:50:25 -0000

So where exactly is the stalking line drawn?  There's a few atty's 
here, right?

Is it because the device was installed unbeknownst to her that he got 
arrested?  Would the law preclude me from giving a spouse or 
significant other a NEXTEL i88 and tracking her via GPS?

With a PowerApps plan ($9/mo) and a 3rd Party Gateway fee ($10/mo.) 
this can be had.  Oh, yeah, you need a voice plan from N too...

But compared to the prices of a private eye or calling that 
show "Cheaters" this is a perfectly positioned solution to the person 
who fears their wife is philandering.

What see yee all?  ~Bulldog

--- In [email-masked], "Todd Ellis" <ellistr@b...> wrote:
> Well, a sad but true story from a few years ago.  I was heavily 
involved in
> APRS (ham location and messaging system), and had a couple of 
expensive
> cars.  I had heard a story about a guy who had his van stolen but 
was able
> to track it on APRS and called the cops to pick the guy up who 
stole it.  So
> I put a second station in my ex's car with her call on it.  She 
kept turning
> it off and I couldn't figure out why until she finally took off 
with her
> boyfriend.  So, this story isn't a new one...spousal tracking has 
been
> around for a while.
> 
> By the way, because of verifiable facts including the turning off 
of the
> tracking unit, I wound up with damn near everything.  That's the 
way the
> cookie crumbles...
> 
> The problem with OnStar is that it works similarly although you as 
the owner
> don't have access to the information being transmitted from the 
car.  That
> information is only transmitted occasionally on demand anyways.  I 
have been
> preaching telematics for a long time that there is a market out 
there for
> trackers that report into an application like findu.com for moms 
and dads to
> check on Missy and Junior's driving.
> 
> Try this:  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KA2ENE
> 
> This is a cool web-based system showing position.  There used to be 
CGI
> commands to issue speed, direction in degrees, etc.  However, this
> particular map shows an old friend of mine in Rochester...after the 
APRS
> station on the International Space Station (ISS) picked him up.  
ISS relayed
> the info back down to Earth and onto the Internet.  That's a two-way
> space-based terrestrial tracking system!  And what is so funny is 
that most
> OnStar customers think that's what THEY have...heheheheh!
> 
> Todd Ellis
> "Can you see me now?  Good."
>   -----Original Message-----
>   From: Bulldog <bulldog@e...> [mailto:bulldog@e...]
>   Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 10:28 PM
>   To: [email-masked]
>   Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Wis. Man Charged With High-Tech Stalking
> 
> 
>   Way cool application.  Reminds me of that cab company owner who 
used
>   a nextel to eavesdrop on his cabbies.  He turned the ringer off 
and
>   set auto-answer to listen in on the conversations in the taxi.  
Not
>   so easy to skim off the top with that application.
> 
>   If you could pick up a handful of receivers for say $20 a piece 
and
>   monitor all of them for $20 a month I think they'd really take 
off.
> 
>   At that price, I'd buy one for my kid, my dog, the cars, etc.  
Lots
>   of fun when prices dip as volume increases.
> 
> 
> 
>   --- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
>   >
>   > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
>   
tmpl=story2&cid=519&u=/ap/20021231/ap_on_re_us/brf_stalking_charges_1&
>   printer=1
> 
> 
>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>               ADVERTISEMENT
> 
> 
> 
> 
>   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of 
Service.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/