Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Jan. 29, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:08:20 -0500

The Hound is tracking down why the Eastside Communications Center in Bellevue (Wash.) was
victimized by the recent Internet worm, and had to resort to manual dispatching because
their computers were running so slow. Officials said dispatchers noticed a slowdown about
9:30 p.m., and that it became progressively worse until about 4 a.m., when techs
discovered the worm. The system went back on-line about noon. The worm affects only
computer servers linked to the Internet, and which are running Microsoft's SQL Server
database software that has not been updated with a security patch. Most CAD systems aren't
linked to the Internet, and so aren't vulnerable to the worm, so what's up here?
 
--------------------------
In an unrelated move, on Monday the Bellevue (Wash.) city council approved a $2.3 million
contract for a mobile data system from ARINC Inc. that will include automatic vehicle
location (AVL). Presumably it will include the worm patch.

--------------------------
New York state Congressman Anthony Weiner held a press conference to point out 500
wireless phone dead spots in New York City, and spotlight problems with the 911 network in
general. He says a significant number of 911 calls aren't being completed because of
network problems (yes, but are they emergencies?), and noted a Wireless Consumers Alliance
"scientific study" that determined 33 handsets models don't meet the FCC's technical rules
for handling 911 calls. Weiner added "The FCC's regulations themselves are outdated and
need revision," specifically referring to the lack of digital rules for handling 911
calls. "The good news is we know how to fix the problem," Weiner said, and called for
passage of the Cell Phone Service Disclosure Act, which, among other things, would require
carriers to disclose their dead spots.. 

--------------------------
NENA issued a press release applauding Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) for his continued
support of 911, after the senator released a list of his "Top 10" project for 2003... and
included 911 among them. 'We are delighted and excited with Sen. Burns leadership in
forming his NexGenTen agenda and all his efforts to further advance E9-1-1," said NENA
president John Melcher in the release. NENA noted that Burns co-chairs the E9-1-1 Caucus
with Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY).

--------------------------
Motorola has received the nod from Westmoreland County (Penn.) for a $12.46 million ASTRO
25 trunked radio system that will link public safety agencies in the county using 700 MHz
band frequencies. County public safety director Rich Matason called current communications
is "poor," with coverage no more than 40% to 60% of the 1,025 square-mile county, using
radio systems on three different bands. The system will include mobile data, and will be
interoperable with Montgomery County, Bucks County and the city of Philadelphia. The
system will eventually have 4,000 users, including 117 fire departments, 40 police
departments, 25 EMS agencies, 12 agencies in surrounding counties and all Westmoreland
County public service agencies. The 25-site, simulcast system will have 12 channels. 

--------------------------
Nine One One Inc. says it completed the installation and cutover of an E911 system at
Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia, one of several the company has handled on military
bases. 

--------------------------
Software developer VisionAIR has signed the city of Worthington (Ohio) for VisionCAD,
VisionRMS, VisionMOBILE, VisionFIRE, VisionEMS and VisionGEO, to handle operations by 34
police officers in a town of 14,125 residents.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/