Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Poll: Is APCO-25 an appropriate technology for Pu blic Safety?]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:39:42 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "Byron Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Re: Poll: Is APCO-25 an appropriate technology  for Public Safety?

Mr. Powell,
  Yes, interoperability, is one of the issues, clearly.  But the FCC or NTIA
doesn't care what your interoperability issues are per se.  That is a user
problem.  To the extent that P25 allows for greater contact among agencies,
it is a good thing I guess.  But again the Feds are looking at jamming as
many users into the space available.  That is a requirement that will not go
away and will become more of an issues as more users come on line.  So the
digital methodology is the only game in town and explains the complexity
over analog.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Filtering in the digital
domain is much more efficient and the parameters can me more tightly
controlled over their analog counterparts.  That is one reason we are here,
and the complexity is part of the equation that will not go away.  This is
good for us to discuss, and I am glad that we are.  But are there other
issues out there for you?

Byron L. Schmidt, DAFC, GS-11
Deputy State Director
CAP-USAF Liaison Office. Idaho
208-345-8263 - (Voice)
208-333-8247 - (FAX)
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/