Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Next Mobile partners with Nextel Philippines

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:52:48 -0500

Slick move by Nextel-

Nextel sells Philippine operation to Next Mobile (aka  Maxwealth Consultant Ltd) for $200
Million (on paper) because of ownership violation rules.

Nextel then takes the $200 Million (on paper) and Invests it back into Next Mobile.

Nextel squelches the ownership investigation in the Philippines (or does it), but what
about USDOJ?
USDOJ pledged to investigate Nextel based on the results from the Philippine ownership
investigation.

Nextel has their cake and eats it........well atl east for now
=======================================================================================
Next Mobile partners with Nextel Philippines

Publish Date: [Monday, January 20, 2003]

Nextel Philippines is off to a fresh start this year after Next Mobile, a consortium made
up of a global team of techno entrepreneurs with the vision of introducing wireless mobile
broadband services in the country, teams up with the local subsidiary of the
telecommunications company.

The Velarde group, the company behind Next Mobile, has partnered with Maxwealth Consultant
Ltd. to form the new consortium. With Maxwealth, Next Mobile boasts of a team of
highly-skilled techno entrepreneurs with vast experience and expertise in the wireless
communications industry.

"We see a huge potential for wireless mobile broadband in the Philippines. The cellular
phone indeed is a precursor to what the digital revolution intends to achieve-individual
and team productivity in motion. The key is to bet on a platform on which solution-based
services can be delivered to a very focused market segment" Next Mobile chairman Mel
Velarde said. Velarde, who currently sits as chief executive officer of Nextel, is
referring to its initial offering, the mobile Internet in your Ipaq, Palm Pilot or phone.
This will enable people to be connected to a network where Internet is available in a 24/7
basis, on an unlimited and fixed monthly rate basis.

Next Mobile will also introduce mobile broadband that will pave the way for a new world of
mobile applications fit for business. "This will allow users full connectivity to the
Internet and to their own corporate enterprise information system, allowing mobile and
remote users to fully interact with their network and utilize all the applications as if
they are connected by wire to their office LAN-whether for inventory control, data
gathering, remote sensing, on-line tracking, file sharing, lotus notes or Microsoft
Office/Outlook synchronization, sales force automation, or any business application on
their network or the Internet. These are part of a new phenomenon of which customer demand
will be of greater importance than for texting and voice calls; there’ll be a whole suite
of services along productivity enhancement and individual empowerment," Velarde added.

Nextel’s revolutionary iDEN technology, a digital infrastructure, is the most ideal
network platform; it can carry three times the number of voice calls that GSM does on any
frequency spectrum allocation. With data allocated in the network, Nextel’s iDEN is
actually superior to general packet radio services (GPRS). "The technology is
sophisticated and an efficient platform for packet data communications," Hugh McClung,
vice chairman for The Velarde group added. "With Nextel’s existing technology and
infrastructure, combined with the consortium’s management team, we believe this
substantial investment will benefit Filipinos in the coming years."

Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN) was first introduced by Motorola in 1994. It
brought to the market next generation wireless solutions designed of a variety of vertical
market mobile business applications. IDEN technology with its quadruple functionality
(two-way radio, phone, SMS and wireless IP-based packet data services) ideally serves the
needs of the "white collar" business community, organizations, families and professionals.
IDEN is fully digital and voice is carried as coded packet data.

Velarde added, "We teamed up with Nextel because its IDEN technology is the right platform
for a data play. Nextel, if properly positioned not to collide with Globe’s o Smart’s
voice and text services, will find its place in the data play, not texting. Key is to
provide highly, really highly, differentiated services to very focused market niches,
exploit iDEN’s superior technology and become profitable in the process. Nextel has
extremely loyal customers. The profile of their customers, which provides a $30 US dollar
ARPU (average revenue per user), creates a perfect fit with the targeted market segments
for our services. Thus, the symmetry of interests is obvious," he said. Next Mobile will
lead a restructuring of about $200 million that will allow Nextel Philippines to evolve
into a totally new company.

"We don’t see Smart and Globe as competitors. In fact, we benefit from their brave moves
to revolutionize mass communication through the cellular phone and texting. Because of
them and people’s unlimited aspirations, there are enormous opportunities for niche
players like ourselves. One has to be a niche player to survive. If we’re not, we’re dead
as the saying goes. All we need to do is keep our focus on the right customer, give a
compelling value proposition and deliver superb services to them, then our company will be
valued not far from that of Globe and Smart," Velarde said.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:00:51 -0500

Wait a minute.................

Back in November Nextel said:

>>>Regional digital trunking operator
NII Holdings expects to exit the Philippines within three months as part of its
post-Chapter 11 strategy to place exclusive focus on Latin America, NII VP and
CFO Byron Siliezar told BNamericas.<<<<<

Nextel- "How Business Gets Done" - Tell the Investors & the SEC anything.....then do what you
want!

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG