Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GNU Radio - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF).html

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:03:54 -0500

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

GNU Radio - The GNU Software Defined Radio

Copyright © 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Home |
Screen Shots |
Examples |

Future Directions |
Contributing |
Administration

Current Release Versions

Alpha Release

GNU Radio 0.6

7 Nov 2002

Core files, ATSC Tx & Rx!

Alpha Release

MC4020 0.6

10 Dec 2002

Optional PCI-DAS4020/12 driver

Introduction

GNU Radio is a collection of software that when combined with
minimal hardware, allows the construction of radios where the actual
waveforms transmitted and received are defined by software. What
this means is that it turns the digital modulation schemes used in
today's high performance wireless devices into software problems.

What is a Software Defined Radio?

Joe Mitola says, "A software radio is a radio whose channel modulation
waveforms are defined in software. That is, waveforms are generated as
sampled digital signals, converted from digital to analog via a wideband
DAC and then possibly upconverted from IF to RF. The receiver,
similarly, employs a wideband Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) that
captures all of the channels of the software radio node. The receiver
then extracts, downconverts and demodulates the channel waveform using
software on a general purpose processor."
[1]

For our purposes, on the receive side, the idea is to get a wide band
ADC as close to the antenna as is convenient, get the samples into something
we can program, and then grind on them in software.

Can you give me an example?

To get a better idea of what we're talking about, please see
the screen shots and examples. They range from playing a
sine wave out a speaker, a single channel FM receiver, a
display of the real time Fourier transform of the signals from
a high speed analog to digital converter, to an application that
receives two broadcast FM stations at the same time from the
same input.

Availability

The latest official alpha release is available for testing from

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/opensdr/gnuradio-0.6.tar.gz

In addition, the optional driver for the Measurement Computing
PCI-DAS4020/12 20 million sample/sec analog to digital card is available from

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/opensdr/mc4020-0.6.tar.gz

Anonymous CVS

For those who prefer their software on the bleeding edge,
the latest GNU Radio development sources are available via anonymous
CVS.

Use the following commands to check them out (just hit return
when you are prompted for the password):

$ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/gnuradio login
Password:
$ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/gnuradio co -P gnuradio

Be sure to use the -P option on your check out. This prunes
empty directories from the build tree.

Once you have the tree checked out, you can keep it up to date
by using cvs update.

You can browse the cvs archive live from the savannah repository with
the help of viewCVS.

If you want to mirror the entire GNU Radio cvs repository, we provide
an anonymous rsync server at rsync://subversions.gnu.org/cvs/. Please
contact [email-masked] if
you do publicly mirror the repository, so that we can list your name here.

Before using the CVS version of GNU Radio, you ought to have
installed recent versions of GNU Autoconf and Automake, then run
./reconf in the newly-created gnuradio
directory in order to regenerate the configure script and
Makefile.in files.

Resources

Online Documentation

You can read about various features that we hope to include in future versions of GNU Radio.

Mailing Lists

GNU Radio has three mailing lists hosted at gnu.org. Archives
of the discussion list are stored at http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/discuss-gnuradio/:

[email-masked] is for discussion of GNU Radio development,
porting to new platforms, ideas for the future, general GNU Radio usage
or problems. New alpha and stable releases are announced here. You
can subscribe or unsubscribe on the web with mailman, or
by sending an email to [email-masked] with subscribe as the subject
line. Volume is typically low.

[email-masked] is where the patches to the
gnuradio repository are posted for peer review before being commited
to CVS.

[email-masked]
is for reporting bugs, and to enable the developers to track
submitted bug reports. If you think you have found a bug in
gnuradio, please send as complete a report as possible to this
list. If we can't reproduce it, we can't fix it. Ideally, you
should include the text you get by running
config.guess, the text you see when you run
configure, and if you can, a patch made with
diff -u5 which fixes the problem.

Home |
Screen Shots |
Examples |

Future Directions |
Contributing |
Administration

Return to GNU's home page.

Please send FSF & GNU inquiries & questions to [email-masked].
There are also other ways to
contact the FSF.

Please send comments on these web pages to

[email-masked],
send other questions to [email-masked].

This article
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is
permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

$Date: 2002/12/10 09:40:05 $