Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:00:33 -0500

1) Free Flight

A new system gives UPS pilots a view they've always wanted.  One day it might make
everyone's flight easier.

Link to article in Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0203/074.html

2) New Mass Pike Tunnel To Airport Passes Fire Test

Link to story in The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts):

http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/017/metro/New_Pike_tunnel_to_airport_passes_fire_inspection+.shtml

3) Puerto Rico Highway Authority To Invest $33 Million In Electronic Toll Collection

Link to story from Caribbean Business via the Puerto Rico Herald:

http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2003/vol7n03/CBHiwayAuthor-en.shtml

4) FCC: Open Up TV Waves To Wireless

The Federal Communications Commission is quietly considering opening the television
broadcast spectrum

for use by other wireless devices, including Wi-Fi products.

Link to story on CNET News.com:
http://news.com.com/2100-1033-981047.html

5) Ports Begin Using Secure-Container System

Link to Associated Press story via ABC News:

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030117_1004.html

6) Circle The Block, Cabby, My Show's On

Televisions, and ads, are coming to the back seats of New York City's yellow taxis.

Link to article in The New York Times (New York, New York):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/16/nyregion/16TAXI.html  (free registration required)

Link to editorial:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/17/opinion/17FRI4.html  (free registration required)

7) Electronic Intermodal Supply Chain Manifest - Freight Operational Test Evaluations
Final Report

Link to report from US Department of Transportation:

http://www.itsdocs.fhwa.dot.gov//JPODOCS/REPTS_TE//13769.html

8) FMCSA May Obtain GPS Data When Investigating Carriers, Not Drivers

Link to story in The Trucker:

http://www.thetrucker.com/stories/01_03/0117_gps.html

9) A Maritime Call For Help Is Better Made By Radio

Link to article in the Portsmouth Herald (Portsmouth, New Hampshire):

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/01172003/news/8060.htm

10) So, Where In The World Are You Boating?

Telematics system for boats monitors their mechanics and tracks them in case of emergency.

Link to story in the Midland Daily News (Midland, Michigan):

http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=2289&dept_id=472537&newsid=6725814&PAG=461&rfi=9

11) A Better Eye In The Sky For Newark Airport Controllers

Link to article in The Record (Hackensack, New Jersey):

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?level_3_id=5&page=6213161

12) Florida County Commissioner Says Give Away Free Toll Tags To Relieve Congestion

Link to article in the Palm Beach Post (West Palm Beach, Florida):

http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/friday/local_news_e37298251314b17f006b.html

13) I-81 Plan In Virginia Calls For Car Tolls

One proposal includes installing a broadband wireless communications system along the road
to provide traveler information and
traffic management.

Link to article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch (Richmond, Virginia):

http://www.timesdispatch.com/frontpage/MGB8ET2H1BD.html

Link to news release from STAR Solutions:

http://www.improve81.com/documents/011603STARRelease.pdf

14) Will Security Tie Us In Knots?

New security measures will burden logistics managers with added restrictions.

Link to article in Logistics Management:

http://www.manufacturing.net/lm/index.asp?layout=articleCurrentWeb&articleid=CA269265

15) January Issue Of Florida DOT Transportation News Online
 -  Action on the Highways - Special event planning needed for road closings for filming
(page 2)
 -  Safety the First Priority - Part of work zone safety includes providing information to
motorists (page 6)
 -  SIS Public Workshops Deemed a Success (page 11)
Link to newsletter from the Florida Department of Transportation:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/tnews/Jan2003TN.pdf

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/