Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Please help

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:47:04 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
   From: Anderson John-P29444 <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:Please help

 Public safety interference mitigation is an area I work on full time.  If you will tell
me what city you are talking about I will see if Motorola provided the system and, if so,
contact our local field office to find out the technical details of exactly what frequency
we are talking about, what types of problems, what kind of system it is, etc.While it is
easy to refer to problems generically as "the Nextel problem", I can assure you that
interference comes from many sources, including other wireless operators, overhead
electric transmission lines, radio and TV broadcasters and I am even trying to track down
a report on digital gas pumps causing some radios to stop working.  Many of these problems
require unique solutions based on local conditions, frequencies and such.

     -----Original Message-----
     From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 9:18 PM
     Subject: Re:Please help

     I subscribe to this list because, thanks, in part, to help from some of the
     people on this list, our neighborhood defeated a proposed Nextel tower in our
     neighborhood last year. I have some difficulty understanding what you all write,
     because much of it is over my head technically.

     Last year, we were able to defeat the Nextel proposal. This year, they came back
     and managed to get approval through Planning and Zoning and our City Council for
     a tower directly across the street from last year's proposed site. Existing
     ordinances obviously need updating badly, but this has not been done to my
     knowledge. Present requirements state the towers must be at least 5,000 feet
     apart. This one is now 3,000 feet from another tower.

     Two questions:

     1.Considering the fact this tower has been approved outside of existing
     requirements, is there anything that can be done to reverse this approval that
     anyone on this list is aware of?

     2. The last I recall, numerous cities were still experiencing multiple problems
     with cell tower interference and public safety equipment. Our city has had
     problems too, but no one seems to relate this to possible tower interference. Is
     there an improvement in this problem or does it still exist?

     3. Did I not read that New York City was considering not approving any
     additional towers until money was set aside to cover some of the problems?

     Thanks for any help you might provide.

     Cathie

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/