Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More bold statements likely during today's inauguration

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:49:16 -0500

More bold statements likely during today's inauguration

By LYNN OKAMOTO
Register Staff Writer
01/17/2003

Iowans can expect more talk about bold changes to boost the state's economy
when Gov. Tom Vilsack gives his inaugural address today.

Vilsack, a Democrat, will be sworn in to his second term in office at 9:30 a.m.
today at the Knapp Center, located at Drake University in Des Moines.

Republican and Democratic lawmakers say they expect Vilsack's speech to be
similar to the one given Tuesday to the Legislature.

"I think you're seeing a governor who is reframing the discussion, is changing it
away from traditional political discourse and talking about what this state ought to
be looking like 10, 20, 50 years down," said House Minority Leader Richard
Myers, an Iowa City Democrat.

Inaugural festivities kicked off Thursday night with a barbecue and barn dance at
the Iowa State Fairgrounds. Given the state of the economy, this year's events are
toned down from four years ago.

Travis Brock, communications director for the Vilsack-Pederson Inaugural
Committee, said in November that the festivities will probably cost less than
$400,000. That compares to the $500,000 spent for the three-day celebration in
1999.

Events will be paid for by donations from individuals and corporations. Brock
declined Thursday to be more specific. "I just don't feel comfortable giving an
accurate number," he said.

Calls to contributors revealed that donations for two days of events included:

* $25,000 from the Principal Financial Group.

* $50,000 from MidAmerican Energy.

* $7,500 worth of air time from Nextel Partners, which is providing Motorola
wireless phones and accessories for use by the governor, first lady and lieutenant
governor, as well as for inauguration staff to coordinate event logistics.

* $204 worth of pork burgers from the Iowa Pork Producers - 400 sandwiches
valued at 51 cents each.

* 1,000 deviled eggs from the Iowa Egg Council, valued at about $250.

Financial donations not used to cover the cost of the events will go to the Iowa
Foster and Adoptive Parents' Association in Ankeny for the KidSake Project, a
program that recruits adoptive families for children with special needs.

"By partnering with a charitable organization, it becomes an entity that is neither
part of state government nor a part of the political operations," Brock said. "It
avoids conflict of interests."

Four years ago, Vilsack's first inauguration benefitted Children and Families of
Iowa, which got about $170,000. However, many of the inaugural events are free
this year and are expected to raise less money.

Brock said the foster and adoptive parents group fit well with Vilsack and Lt.
Gov. Sally Pederson. Vilsack was adopted as a child, while Pederson is the
mother of a child with special needs.

http://www.dmregister.com/news/stories/c4780934/20251482.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/