Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Supreme Court Rules For NextWave-Clears Way for Company to Complete Chapter 11 Reorganization

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:02:24 -0500

FYI-For thoese who don't know Nextwave has equipment deployed in 95 markets and licesses
for 96.
======================================================================================
NextWave Telecom Inc.
601 13 th St., N.W.
Suite 320 North Tower
Washington, D.C. 20005

For Immediate Release

January 27, 2003

Supreme Court Rules For NextWave Decision Ends Nearly Five Years of Litigation;

Clears Way for Company to Complete Chapter 11 Reorganization

Washington, D.C., January 27, 2003 – The United States Supreme Court announced
today that federal bankruptcy law protected NextWave Telecom Inc. from having its PCS
licenses cancelled by the Federal Communications Commission while the company was
successfully reorganizing its business affairs in Chapter 11 proceedings. The Court’s
decision, announced in an opinion filed by Justice Scalia, upholds a June 2001 ruling to
the same effect by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and
denies requests for reversal filed by the FCC and two of Next Wave’s wireless
competitors, Arctic Slope Regional Corporation and VoiceStream Communications
(Nos. 01-653, 01-657).

“We are extremely pleased with the decision because it clears the way for us to move
forward and complete our reorganization,” said Next Wave Chairman and CEO Allen
Salmasi. “This has been a difficult and arduous process for NextWave and its creditors
and shareholders, as well as for the government. Everyone will benefit from achieving
finality, putting the litigation behind us, and getting the licenses into use as quickly
as
possible to provide service to the public and help fuel econo mic recovery. We look
forward to a constructive working relationship with the FCC as those goals are finally
achieved.”

NextWave already has paid the government over $500 million for licenses on which the
company was the high bidder at FCC spectrum auctions. During the period 1999-2001,
NextWave submitted to the bankruptcy court overseeing its reorganization three fully
financed plans providing for complete payment of all the company’s debts, including all
spectrum payments to the government, but implementation of each of those plans was
deferred due to continued litigation. Using funds raised from private sources, the?2
company deployed an initial network of wireless facilities during 2001-2002 in all 95
markets in which it is licensed to provide service.

-- end --
About NextWave :
NextWave Telecom Inc. was formed in 1995 to provide high-speed wireless Internet access
and
voice communications services to consumer and business markets. For more information about

NextWave, visit our Web site at http://www.nextwavetel.com, or contact:
Michael Wack George Evanko
NextWave Telecom Inc. Hill & Knowlton

202-661-2083 or [email-masked] 202-944-3364or [email-masked]

 http://www.nextwavetel.com/news/frameset.asp?page=press_releases/pr_012703.pdf

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/