Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola and FID Collaborate to Bring Exciting Multimedia Features to New Cell Phones Via J2ME(TM) Technology

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:48:16 -0500

Motorola and FID Collaborate to Bring Exciting Multimedia Features to New Cell Phones Via
J2ME(TM) Technology

Vibrant multimedia showcases the newest phone's music
and color display capabilities

CHICAGO, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- First International Digital, Inc. (FID), a
leading digital multimedia software developer and Motorola, Inc., a global
communications giant, today announced the availability of multimedia
capabilities and content for its latest line of cell phones.  The offerings
demonstrate the power of Motorola's implementation of J2ME(TM) technology
across its handsets, in cooperation with innovative third party solutions such
as FID's patent-pending maxMIDI(TM) technology.
In China, Motorola launched its third type of CDMA (code division multiple
access) handset, the V730, with a color screen and a preloaded karaoke
application that enables the user to download songs from the Internet for
their personal enjoyment.  In North America, Motorola's iDEN division recently
launched the i95cl color phone through Nextel.
Both phones have the ability to download polyphonic ringtones and MIDI
music wirelessly.  To enhance these capabilities, FID supplies Motorola with
Java applications based on its patent-pending maxMIDI(TM) technology.  This
enables users to take full advantage of the phone's features by downloading
files that include MIDI audio along with synchronized pictures and lyrics.
Whether users are interested in Karaoke, or just relaxing with the latest
sounds, the maxMIDI(TM) technology provides the visuals along with rich
polyphonic MIDI music.
"maxMIDI(TM) transforms cell phones into portable multimedia jukeboxes
that can be loaded on demand.  Consumers can purchase and download new
selections over the air in just a few minutes," says Randy Cavaiani, Executive
Vice President at FID.
FID also provides authoring tools for content providers interested in
developing multimedia entertainment and education applications for the
portable device market.  Motorola and FID will cooperate to distribute these
tools to third party content developers, enabling them to create additional
content for users to enjoy on their Motorola handsets.  All developers can
access the tools, documentation, and support needed to create content for all
Motorola handsets through the Motorola Developer Program at
http://www.motorola.com/developer.
"Motorola continues to demonstrate innovation in mobile entertainment and
personalization with leading edge devices such as the V730 and the i95cl.
Through our partnership with FID, users can now experience rich multimedia on
demand through the combination of unique phone features and maxMIDI(TM)
technology," says Joe Coletta, Vice President for Applications and Solutions
at Motorola.  "We will continue to deliver on the promise of exciting enablers
such as J2ME(TM), work with leading application developers, and strengthen the
Motorola Developer Program.  As we do so, we continue building the momentum
and gravity around our solutions, engaging even more developers and users with
the aim of creating additional revenue opportunities for our carrier
customers."

About Motorola
Motorola is a global leader in providing integrated communications
solutions and embedded electronic solutions. Our Intelligence Everywhere(TM)
solutions include:
-- Software-enhanced wireless telephone and messaging, two-way radio
products and systems, as well as networking and Internet-access
products, for consumers, network operators, and commercial, government
and industrial customers.
-- End-to-end systems for the delivery of interactive digital video, voice
and high-speed data solutions for broadband operators.
-- Embedded semiconductor solutions for customers in wireless
communications, networking and transportation markets.
-- Integrated electronic systems for automotive, Telematics, industrial,
telecommunications, computing and portable energy systems markets.

About FID
FID, or First International Digital, Inc., (http://www.fidinc.com), headquartered
near Chicago, is a global multimedia company with nearly 100 patents in audio,
video, speech and communications technology.  The company is a leading
provider of multimedia software and hardware solutions, including the patented
MP3i(TM) and maxMIDI(TM) technologies and related hardware platforms such as
digital audio players and language learning devices.  FID licenses its
software technology to OEM's for creating rich media experiences for
entertainment and education applications.  First International Digital is
privately financed by a number of corporate investors including Motorola, Via
Technologies, and First International Computer.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-06-2003/0001866333&EDATE=

SOURCE First International Digital, Inc. (FID)
Web Site: http://www.fidinc.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/