Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless: News Briefs

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:31:06 -0500

News Briefs:

Two major tech research and consulting firms are combining, continuing
the consolidation of that business sector. Forrester Research has a
definitive agreement to acquire Giga Information Group in an all-cash
deal, the companies say.

American Tower says it plans to raise about $400 million through a
private placement of senior subordinated notes and warrants to
purchase AmTower Class A common stock.

Service provider FairPoint Communications will work with broadband
wireless solution provider KeyOn Communications to provide
801.11b-based Internet access to about 20 rural U.S. markets where
FairPoint has local exchange affiliates. KeyOn uses a proprietary brand
of WLAN technology it says enables a carrier-class last mile solution,
rather than public 802.11-based 'hot spots.'

In-Stat/MDR forecasts that the market for home networks that are
managed by service providers such as cable companies, ILECs and
others will grow to more than 6 million customers by the end of 2006
from about 100,000 last year. In-Stat, which is owned by the same
company as Wireless Week, says a survey of Internet-connected
households showed 74.2 percent of respondents are more likely to buy
a home network if their service provider offered it to the for a fee.

Wi-Fi hot spot infrastructure provider Pronto Networks says it has gotten
an undisclosed amount of funding from Draper Fisher Jurvetson and
from the Intel Communications Fund. Pronto will use the money to
accelerate development of its flagship Hotspot Networking System and
to expand sales and marketing efforts.

The San Diego Telecom Council has tapped Windward Ventures partner
Martha Dennis as its new president, and selected four new vice
presidents: Jeffrey Belk, Qualcomm senior vice president of marketing;
Lindsey Burroughs, vice president and general manager for Cox
Business Services; Patti Lazard, director of business development for
KPMG; and Cathy Pucher, director of Americas wireless communications
sales for Texas Instruments.

Wireless chip developer Skyworks Solutions has unveiled its GSM/GPRS
900/1800 handset radio system, which combines all of the necessary
circuitry into a single-chip package that the company says is about
one-third the size of alternative solutions.

Cingular Wireless has begun offering an affinity product deal to
members of Union Privilege, the 13 million-strong member benefit arm
of the AFL-CIO. More than 60 labor unions participate in the program,
Cingular says.

EFJ says its EF Johnson subsidiary has received a $970,000 order for
Project 25 and Smartnet/SmartZone digital portable and mobile radios
from the Department of the Treasury, the first major order under a
contract the company won last September.
Lucent Technologies will begin integrating and reselling certain Cisco
Systems packet data and media gateway products under its own mobile
networking product lineup for mobile service providers.

Mobile content provider Moviso and applications developer Landmat
have agreed to jointly develop location-based services for the North
American market, to be available beginning next month. Apps include
DateTrak, a wireless matchmaking service; OpenHouse, a real estate
listing service; and TravelTrack, which enables operators to provide
location-based travel content to subscribers.

Samsung Electronics, Royal Philips Electronics and Datang Mobile
Communications Equipment have formed a joint venture to design and
license core TD-SCDMA chipsets and reference designs for mobile
terminals and end-user gear. The first commercial handsets using
TD-SCDMA technology developed for the China market are expected
next year.

Lucent Technologies and T-Mobile have launched a pilot project in the
Nuremberg, Germany, region to test high-speed data services using
UMTS technology.

Telus Mobility will begin offering Research In Motion's BlackBerry services
and devices to enterprise clients served by Telus' CDMA2000 1XRTT
network in Canada.

Equipment maker Somera Communications has begun offering turnkey
wireless backhaul solutions for national wireless carriers and the regional
Bell carriers.

Summus says it has a deal for China's Sinonext to act as its agent for
distributing Summus' BlueFuel wireless platform and applications in that
market.Siemens Study: Two-thirds of Americans Focus On Wireless Phone's Cost

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=01/21/03

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/