Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Just When You Thought "The Vic" was down and out.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:15:18 -0500

Looks like a nice system but looks are not everything. Intresting that MA/COM teamed up
with Ford to produce this system.
Take a look at this picture  http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000558    of a "
Motorola" equiped vehicle. Ford sure made it look ugly.

BTW- Who did the wiring? A 3rd grader? http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000135
===============================================================
01/02/03

Maryland State Police Test High-Tech Police Car

A Maryland State Police sergeant is helping to test a seemingly ordinary Ford
Crown Victoria. But the car has been specially outfitted with a voice-activated
system that enables the officer to surf the Web, retrieve data, read e-mail, and
also control the car lights, siren, radio and radar. The car has a transparent
computer display mounted in the windshield that allows the officer to use the
system without taking his eyes off the road. The rest of the equipment is stored
in the trunk of the car. If the voice-activated system should fail, the officer can
use a back-up manual console mounted near the seat. Dearborn, Mich.-based
Visteon, built the system, called TACNET

TACNET Pictures:

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000562

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000561

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000560

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000559

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000558

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000135

 http://visteon.wieck.com/image_database/2PV_000021

.TACNET: Law Enforcement Vehicle Technology

http://www.visteon.com/technology/tacnet.shtml

Law enforcement departments require a better way to communicate and
access information from vehicles overburdened with electronic
communications devices.

Visteon's TACNET Law
Enforcement Vehicle Technology
integrates the multiple systems
used by law enforcement
departments into a single
command and control center. By
centralizing information displays
and reducing the amount of
electronic equipment in the
passenger compartment,
Visteon makes it easier for law
enforcement officers to manage
multiple electronic systems.

In addition to integrated hardware and software, Visteon provides TACNET
customers with a solution that addresses the specific needs of each customer
- from installation to training, service and support.

Features

Benefits

Integrated "command and
control" display

Improves officer safety
Reduces interior cabin clutter
Clears airbag path

Interoperable radio platform

Enables inter-agency
communications

Open architecture

Easy future expansion
Upgradeable software

Alliance of partners in law
enforcement electronics

Innovative, compatible system

Customer Care Program

Innovative, customer-focused
support and solutions

=========================================================
http://www.visteon.com/newsroom/press/2002/02story97.shtml

Team Of Industry Leaders Launch Technology To Improve Officer
Efficiency And Safety

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 7, 2002 - Visteon Corporation (NYSE:VC) aligned
with several industry-leading companies and law enforcement agencies to
launch TACNET™; Visteon's integrated solution for improving officer safety,
efficiency and communication. This fully integrated; forward-thinking system
was built upon active alliances with leaders in the law enforcement
electronics field, including Aether Systems, Federal Signal, M/A-Com, and
Padcom with cooperation of law enforcement agencies including Michigan
State Police, Boston Police Department and Maryland State Police.

"Together with our alliance partners we are delivering what our customers
want and need," said Pete Pestillo, Visteon's Chairman and Chief Executive
Officer. "We are working with leaders of the industry to remove clutter, provide
upgradability, and improve inter-agency communication allowing more efficient
emergency response helping save lives in emergency response situations."

TACNET can help officers save lives by providing interoperability, a
heads-up-display and a voice-controlled interface supported by an
ergonomically designed control pod for mission critical functions. This control
pod is seat-level mounted and provides intuitive fingertip control of siren,
lights, emergency officer notification and radio controls.

National independent studies revealed the need for an integrated system to
support law enforcement efforts. Visteon teamed up with Aether Systems,
Federal Signal, M/A-Com and Padcom to bring the single-solution command
and control system to market. Aether Systems worked with Visteon to
integrate Aether's flagship product PacketCluster® Patrol™ as a means of
providing additional command and control capability of the TACNET system.

Visteon Voice Technology™ combined with Aether's PacketCluster, allow
officers to perform voice-activated National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
queries via a voice control with the results projected directly to the Heads Up
Display (HUD). This integration results in enhanced officer safety, as they do
not have to take their eyes off the road or their hands off the steering wheel.
Today, over 60,000 law enforcement professionals are already taking
advantage of the power of Aether's PacketCluster software. Aether Systems
is the market leader in wireless and mobile public safety software.

Federal Signal's alliance with Visteon resulted in the integration of the audible
and visual warning systems such as lightbar and sirens as part of the overall
TACNET system. Federal Signal is the industry leader in Audible and Visual
Warning and related products for law enforcement vehicles.

M/A-COM's radio technology will enable integrated communications for
Visteon's TACNET system and provide a pathway to integrated voice and
data communications over IP networks. M/A-COM is the most experienced
provider of the technologically advanced voice and data IP networks for public
safety applications.

Padcom Inc.'s Wireless Data Connectivity Suite™ enables Visteon to provide
seamless and transparent wireless data communication as part of the
TACNET solution. Padcom's modular software platform enables officers using
the TACNET system to access important information without worrying about
which network is in coverage, improving both communication efficiency and
safety for officers. The Connectivity Suite also provides greater control for
network administrators and simplifies information flow for officers in the field,
helping TACNET achieve its goal of a fully integrated solution that makes
communication simpler and more efficient for officers. In addition to its
software, Padcom brings extensive wireless law enforcement technology
experience to its partnership with Visteon.

Other alliance companies include: Kustom Signal, Code 3, and Kenwood.
"It's this kind of teamwork that helped Visteon understand the growing;
complex needs of the law enforcement agencies and resulted in the
development of the TACNET system," Pestillo said.

Visteon Corporation is a leading full-service supplier that delivers
consumer-driven technology solutions to automotive manufacturers worldwide
and through multiple channels within the global automotive aftermarket.
Visteon has about 79,000 employees and a global delivery system of more
than 180 technical, manufacturing, sales and service facilities located in 25
countries.

Contact(s):
Media Inquiries:
Robin Pannecouk
313-755-9121
[email-masked]

Investor Inquiries:
Derek Fiebig
313-755-3699
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Paul J Zawada <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:04:09 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> Looks like a nice system but looks are not everything. Intresting 
> that MA/COM teamed up with Ford to produce this system.
> Take a look at this picture  
> of a "Motorola" equiped vehicle. Ford sure made it look ugly.
> 
> BTW- Who did the wiring? A 3rd grader? 

Well of course they did their best to make it look ugly; those two 
photos are the "BEFORE" pictures.  And if M/A Com is trying to prove 
how their technology is better, they are going to put an X9000 (or is 
that a Spectra A9?) in the "before" shot, not an Orion.

The real question is can they make this an open architecture so an 
agency can pick and chose the radios, siren packages, and mobile data 
solutions that work best for them.  (I'm guessing things like 
receiver selectivity or IM rejection are not high on the priority 
list for the folks selling one of these integrated solutions...)
The US land-mobile radio industry isn't exactly known for embracing 
open solutions.  So folks who want to buy this are likely to be stuck 
with the systems that M/A Com are pushing.   Are they supporting 
their Open Sky radio, the "Lynchburg" radios, or both?  What if an 
agency prefers Wheelen over Federal Signal?  What if they are on a 
Motorola trunked system?  I have a feeling that Gamber-Johnson, SDI, 
and their ilk don't have much to worry about for now...

Now if I could get my hands on one of those heads-up displays and 
hack it to control the low band Syntor X9000, high band Delta-S, and 
UHF Rangr I've got stored in my basement, that would be cool.  (Leave 
it to a ham to want to turn this in to a Frankenstein episode.  :-)  
Yeah, I know these radios are quickly becoming antiques, but man do 
they perform!  

--zawada