Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Seat-Finder, Helmet Cam Win Innovation Contest

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:56:47 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=01/15/03
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search Wireless Week

Entire Site
Articles
Web-Exclusive
Archives
Companies
Products
Directories
Events

Archive Map

Tips

|  Advertise  |  Archives  |  Events  |  Directories  |  Discussions  |  news@2direct®  |  Subscribe  |

You Are Here > Home > News@2 Direct

Issues

Newsletter

news@2direct® Archive

Tools / Services

Archives

Capitol Hill Contacts

Directories

Events

Glossary

Industry Research

Industry Stocks

In-Stat Store

International Data

Product/Web Showcase

Show Dailies

Webcasts

Wireless 101

Web Directories

Associations
Carriers
Education
Government
Publishing
Research/Consultants
Vendors

Inside Wireless

Advertise - Web

Editorial Planner

Print Subscription

Reprint Requests

Privacy Policy

Direct Marketing Lists

Wireless Seat-Finder, Helmet Cam Win Innovation Contest

By Wireless Week Staff
January 15, 2003

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

Single-page Format

Chris Castello accepts Super Bowl tickets
in recognition of his winning entry in Qualcomm's contest.

Susan Laun, VP of Human Resources for Qualcomm,
presents tickets to Dorian Mattrey.

Don't be surprised if someday you're able to see a pro
football game from the quarterback's perspective-while you're sitting in the
stadium.

A wireless helmet cam that would enable fans to use handheld devices for
viewing the action on the field was one of two winners announced today for
Qualcomm's 'Wireless Technology Touchdown' contest for San Diego-area high
schoolers.

The idea by Dorian Mattrey, a sophomore at La Jolla High School, proposed
development of technology enabling fans to use a wireless handheld to track the
location of the football and each player in real time, plus multiple game views,
statistics, replays and other info. 'The features would make the fan a part of
the action and the game,' says Mattrey, who won a $5,000 college scholarship
check, two tickets to the Jan. 26 Super Bowl at San Diego's Qualcomm Stadium and
a $10,000 donation to the math and science department of his school.

The other winner, Helix Charter High School sophomore Chris Castello,
submitted the idea of a handheld device to help with seat and facility location
in the stadium, with a window showing the location of seats, snack bars,
restrooms and other facilities. It also would feature wireless connectivity for
ordering directly from the concession stands, checking football statistics or
reading coaching strategies during the game.

'Upon arrival at the stadium, the first problem most people encounter is
finding their seats,' Castello says. 'With my invention, navigating the stadium
would be a breeze.'

<< Previous News@2 Article

News Briefs:

Nextel Partners has announced its time frame for offering
national coverage with its Direct Connect walkie-talkie feature, and it
mirrors that of its partner Nextel Communications. Nextel Partners first will
roll out availability in several mid-sized markets in Pennsylvania, Virginia,
Georgia and Florida, with a third quarter target for the second phase of the
rollout that will enable any Nextel customer Direct Connect with any other
Nextel customer anywhere on Nextel's networks nationwide.

Everybody's got their own ideas about what broadband wireless should look
like, and consulting firm TeleChoice is weighing in with its
vision. The firm says minimum bandwidth for portable and mobile wireless
offerings should be 384 kilobits per second downstream and 128 kbps upstream.
TeleChoice opines that currently offered mobile data services are not fast
enough to meet these parameters and contends that current 802.11 wireless LAN
technology has limitations to its viability as a carrier-class broadband
access platform.

Lufthansa German Airlines today launched a three-month
demonstration of the Connexion by Boeing broadband satellite
data system on its daily Frankfurt to Washington, D.C. flight. The service,
which Lufthansa has branded as FlyNet, enables laptop users to have free
access to the service during the trial, for applications such as Internet
access and e-mail.

Verizon Wireless has begun offering the
Snapfish Mobile photo-sharing application on its 'Get It Now'
service. Snapfish runs on the BlueFuel mobile application platform designed by
Summus.

Lucent Technologies has introduced modeling tools
intended to help enterprises quantify and characterize the benefits-such as
economic benefits and process efficiencies-of using 3G high-speed data
services in their business.

Nokia has won agreements worth about $70 million to
supply equipment and services for the next expansion of Beijing Mobile
Communications' GSM network.

Nortel Networks will supply its Univity Wireless Data
Network solutions to Taiwan's Asia Pacific Broadband
Wireless, as the major infrastructure supplier for the operator's new
CDMA2000 1XRTT network.

Cambridge Silicon Radio says its' BlueCore single chip
Bluetooth integrated circuit is being used by NEC for its
e606 3G videophone handsets being deployed for Hutchison's
next generation wireless networks.

Tellabs will supply its 8011 managed access system to
Swedish carrier Telia, as part of Telia's buildout of a third
generation wireless network.

Telefonica Moviles Espana has agreed to begin selling
Research In Motion's BlackBerry wireless data handhelds and
services to enterprise customers in Spain, beginning sometime this
quarter.

Ericsson Canada won renewal of its agreement to supply
network equipment for Rogers AT&T Wireless' national
voice and data network. The deal extends their existing agreement by three
years.

Wireless LAN solutions developer Bluesocket announced
agreements to ensure interoperability of its wireless gateways with service
providers Airpath Wireless, GRIC
Communications and iPASS.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=01%2F15%2F03;desc=Wednesday;sz=468x60;ord=3763693003349504?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=01%2F15%2F03;desc=Wednesday;sz=468x60;ord=3763693003349504?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=01%2F15%2F03;desc=Wednesday;sz=468x60;ord=3763693003349504?" border=0 width="468" height="60"></A></noscript>

Wireless Home

About Us

Advertise

FAQs

Contact Us

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its Terms and Conditions of Use
Privacy Policy