Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Apple Delivers AirPort Extreme 802.11g Wireless Networking

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 02:51:26 -0500

Apple Delivers AirPort Extreme 802.11g Wireless Networking

Five Times the Data Rate, Wireless Bridging & USB Printer Sharing

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Apple(R) (Nasdaq: AAPL) today announced AirPort(R) Extreme, the next
generation of Wi-Fi wireless networking technology based on the new ultra-fast
802.11g standard. With speeds up to 54 Mbps, AirPort Extreme delivers almost
five times the data rate of today's 802.11b based products, yet is fully
compatible with the millions of 802.11b Wi-Fi devices around the world.
Starting at just $199 (US), the new AirPort Extreme Base Stations offer 54
Mbps data rates for up to 50 users, wireless bridging to extend the range
beyond just one base station, and USB printer sharing to allow multiple users
to wirelessly share USB printers connected directly to the base station*.
"Apple was the first computer company to ship products based on 802.11b
when it launched AirPort in 1999, kick-starting the entire Wi-Fi wireless
revolution," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Today we're doing it again by
launching AirPort Extreme, the next generation of wireless products based on
802.11g that runs at 54 Mbps, yet is fully compatible with the millions of
802.11b Wi-Fi devices and Hot Spots around the world."
AirPort Extreme, based on the new 802.11g wireless standard, operates at
up to 54 Mbps -- up to five times faster than current Wi-Fi technology.
AirPort Extreme works with the installed base of 802.11b devices, including
public Hot Spots and Wi-Fi certified 802.11b Windows solutions. AirPort
Extreme continues to be the only wireless solution to support dial-up access
to America Online and is also compatible with Cisco's LEAP security**. With up
to 50 users per base station, AirPort Extreme supports many more users than
typical base stations.
AirPort Extreme provides the flexibility and power to service home, school
and institutional networking needs. In addition to increased speed, both of
the AirPort Extreme Base Stations offer new features such as a USB port for
low-cost wireless USB printer sharing and a second 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port
for connections to fast LANs and DSL or cable modems. Education campuses and
other institutions can take advantage of new features such as a software
placement utility for optimal base station location, a software power control
that lets administrators adjust the wireless network range to fit a specific
area and optional range-extending omni-directional and directional antennas.
A new wireless bridging feature lets customers easily and inexpensively
extend the range of a wired network by allowing one AirPort Extreme Base
Station on a LAN to "bridge" with up to four additional AirPort Extreme Base
Stations, eliminating the need to pull additional cables underground and into
buildings.
With Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar" and built-in support for 802.11g, it's
never been easier to go wireless. AirPort Extreme with Apple's Rendezvous(TM)
technology enables iChat among networked Macs and can also be used to
automatically discover and deploy other Rendezvous-enabled devices on the
network, such as printers, without complicated set up. AirPort Extreme offers
the latest security features including built-in Firewall and 128-bit
encryption. The new smaller and faster AirPort Extreme Card is designed
specifically for the internal card slot found in Apple's new PowerBook(R) G4
notebooks also announced today.

Pricing & Availability
Available now through the Apple Store(R) (http://www.apple.com), at Apple's
retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers, the AirPort Extreme solution
includes the AirPort Extreme Card for a suggested retail price of $99 (US) and
the AirPort Extreme Base Station for a suggested retail price of $199 (US).
The AirPort Extreme Base Station with a built-in 56K V.90 hardware modem and
additional port for connecting a range-extending antenna has a suggested
retail price of $249 (US).
Apple offers special prices on Macintosh computers for education customers
through the Apple Store for Education at http://www.apple.com/education/store or by
calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL. To download
the latest Apple education price lists, go to
http://www.apple.com/education/pricelists.

*Based on IEEE 802.11g draft specification. Data rates greater than 11
Mbps require an AirPort Extreme Base Station, an AirPort Extreme Card, and an
AirPort Extreme-ready computer. To achieve maximum speed of 54 Mbps, all users
must use AirPort Extreme Cards. Actual speed will vary based on range,
connection rate and other factors. Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS
X v10.2.3 or later and a compatible printer.
**Compatible with AOL 5.0 or later in the U.S. only.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple
II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple
is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students,
educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its
innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, AirPort, Rendezvous,
PowerBook and Apple Store are either registered trademarks or trademarks of
Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-07-2003/0001867524&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/