Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EVENT Notice: NTIA Roundtable Discussion - VoIP - Feb 12, 2003]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:17:27 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Ohlson, Harlan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: EVENT Notice: NTIA Roundtable Discussion - VoIP - Feb 12, 2003

As discussed recently, this is closely involved with the issue of standards.

While the below article addresses Voip relating to PSTN & Internet, there
also is another area needing standardization.

That area is "P-25" Networking Standards.

As it is today there are many flavors of IP Mobile, Voip & techniques of
connecting P-25 Systems in a Network configuration.

Granted vendors will most likely favor an in house version. But, an
organization such as APCO could form a Project Committee
to develop a "Networking Standard" to go along with the P-25 radio
standards. This would decrease the need for interfacing between public
safety networks ( such as a required gateway).  Nationally, it could evolve
into a seamless Public Safety only type of network.

I feel that, with consideration of events in our country, this would most
assuredly be in our National Interest.

Very sincerely,

Harlan D. Ohlson / Comm. Sys. Manger / radio Operations / WSDOT

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/