Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Memphis TN

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:22:57 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Glen Reid <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Memphis TN

Clearly, NO cell system, NO Nextel, NOR any "public" carrier type system is 
sufficiently robust to use for wide area  public safety interoperability.
Those systems will be overwhelmed during even the most minor emergency 
situation.  Additionally,  our agency operates only 9 miles from the center 
of Austin, TX.  Yet do to municipal ordinances, deed restrictions, and 
neighborhood opposition to tower sites and the hilly terrain, there are 
areas of no cell or Nextel coverage.  I have used both for business.

An a FRS type,second radio, Inter Op system might work fine in metro areas, 
for fire ground, and radio to radio situations.  But ,what do you do  in 
the wide open spaces of west Texas, where the interop requires miles and 
miles of coverage?

The short term solution for universal Inter Op is common channels where 
they are available, the longer range (Time) solutions require, standard 
technology (P25), infrastructure interconnection  to over come freq. band 
differences and eventually software defined radios.  A common public safety 
frequency range ( such as 700 MHz.) is really unlikely to meet the needs of 
large and populous states like Texas, etc.  We just have to much dirt to 
cover(over a quarter million square miles) and to much spectrum demand in 
the metro areas (Three of the ten largest US cities are in Texas... Dallas, 
Houston and San Antonio).

YMMV, literally.

Ok, now I will quit braggin'.  God bless Texas!

gr

At 11:33 AM 1/22/2003, Don Root wrote:
>John Harlow wrote:
> > I think a cheaper and more sensible alternative for interop would be
> > cell phones and bridge lines.  Infrastructure already in place.
>
>And ready to fail at the slightest sign of overload of a single cell site.
>Not to mention the lack of ability to talk "one to many."
>Or the need to keep one's hands free.
>Or the noise from all of the open mics.
>Or ...
>
>Don

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/