Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Televigation

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:25:58 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-09-2003/0001869449&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Televigation Launches North America's First GPS Navigation Service for Wireless Phones

TeleNav(TM) Runs on Nextel's Java(TM) Technology-enabled Handsets to Offer
Turn-by-Turn GPS Navigation

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Televigation, the leader in wireless
motion-based technology, today announced the debut of TeleNav(TM), North
America's first location-based navigation service available on a wireless
phone. At a fraction of the cost of expensive Global Positioning System (GPS)
car navigation solutions, TeleNav(TM) subscribers now can use their Nextel
Java(TM) technology-enabled handset with GPS capabilities, as a navigation
system to direct them -- visually and audibly -- turn-by-turn to most
addresses or locations in the United States.
"With the launch of TeleNav(TM), GPS navigation and related services are
finally available at a reasonable cost," said Dr. HP Jin, president and chief
executive officer of Televigation. "Wireless phones are the perfect platform
for motion-based services. Nextel provided us with a rich platform to develop
and launch the TeleNav service. With the introduction of Nextel GPS-enabled
handsets, all a user needs is their Nextel wireless phone to use TeleNav."
To use TeleNav(TM), subscribers simply dial a toll-free number for the
TeleNav(TM) voice recognition system. The voice-recognition system asks the
user a series of questions that determines the destination address. Once the
address is registered, the user starts the application and TeleNav(TM) then
provides real-time, turn-by-turn directions based on the user's current
location.
Directions to the destination are audible via the speakerphone function
and displayed on the wireless phone's screen. The screen displays the turn
street name, turn arrow, and the real-time distance to the turn. If the user
makes a wrong turn or changes course, the system automatically re-routes the
user to the original destination. A magnetic windshield mount combined with
the Nextel speakerphone capability enables customers to use the voice
activated service in a more safe and convenient, hands-free mode.
TeleNav(TM) is currently priced at $7 per month for unlimited use and
users must subscribe to Nextel's PowerApps service to use TeleNav(TM). Nextel
currently has two Java technology-enabled phones that support this
application, the i88s and the i58sr. Nextel Java technology-enabled phones
that do not have an internal GPS require a TeleNav(TM) GPS Kit that includes a
GPS receiver, built-in phone charger, phone holder, earpiece, and travel case.

Services Demonstrated at CES
TeleNav will be demonstrated at CES 2003, January 9-12, 2003 at the
Televigation exhibit -- Booth 32230, located in South Halls 3 & 4 of the Las
Vegas Convention Center. For more information, visit http://www.telenav.net or
http://www.nextel.com .

About Televigation:
Televigation is the leading provider of technology enabling wireless
motion-based services, which are location-based services specifically designed
for the growing use of wireless devices in a mobile context. Motion-based
services focus on a wireless user's movement, because in a mobile world the
path of the user determines what information is relevant for the user.
Televigation's technology can deliver feature-rich motion-based services
over standard mobile phones and other wireless devices. In 2001, Televigation
was awarded "Best of Show" at Upside's 5th annual Showcase conference and
"Entrepreneur of the Year" by Frost & Sullivan. Televigation has been awarded
five patents in relevant core location-based technologies. For more
information, visit the company's web site at http://www.televigation.com .

SOURCE Televigation

Web Site: http://www.telenav.net http://www.nextel.com
http://www.televigation.com http://www.cesweb.org

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

More news from PR Newswire...

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.