Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL WINS THE 2003 "WEASEL WORDING" AWARD- Nextel Backs Out Of Funding 9/11 & Veterans Memorial.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:24:17 -0500

NEXTEL WINS THE 2003 "WEASEL WORDING" AWARD

Nextel Backs Out Of Funding  9/11 & Veterans Memorial.

The agreement:
<SNIP>
Nextel pledged $100,000 for use of a portion of Veterans Park, said Dennis Champine, a
member of the Veterans Memorial Fund Committee.

The Set-up for the Fall:
<SNIP>
"There were preliminary discussions but no promises made," Nextel spokeswoman Arianne
Venuso said. "(The agreement) was all pending budget approvals and upper management's
approval."

Wining Weasel Wording Statement:
<SNIP>
"It was never Nextel's intent to make promises or commitments that would not be honored.
The discussions that took place at the veterans committee meeting were preliminary and
formed the basis for a potential agreement between the city and Nextel Communication,"
wrote Thomas McMahon, director of site development for Nextel's Midwest region."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, Yea  I know "It was a Mis-Communication"

Timmy you should be ashamed!  Denying the Veterans Memorial Committee the money the need
to complete their memorial project.

You spent how much to sponser the 9/11 TV production? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And how much did you give to the Washington Horse Show??? $$$$$$$

Let's not forget the $10,000.00 donation to the republican party diner ......You know the
one where Race Track and Gambling supporters were in attendance. $$$

Do the right thing for once give them the money and you get your
tower!............Geeezzzzzz

========================================================================================

Warren veterans memorial dealt a setback

By Norb Franz, Macomb Daily Staff Writer January 28, 2003

Warren's plan to publicly honor the nation's veterans with a new memorial have suffered a
financial blow, leaving the project in limbo.

Local veterans and city officials had hoped a memorial would be built in time for a formal
unveiling, fittingly, on Memorial Day.

Now, officials claim telecommunications firm Nextel has backed out of a $100,000
commitment to help fund the project, leaving construction uncertain.

"At a time such as this when our armed services might be called into battle, it is tragic
that an American company has turned its back on the sacrifices of our veterans," Mayor
Mark Steenbergh said.

"This is an example of positive corporate citizenship turning into corporate
back-stabbing."

But company representatives cited budget constraints amid the lagging economy for their
decision.

"There were preliminary discussions but no promises made," Nextel spokeswoman Arianne
Venuso said. "(The agreement) was all pending budget approvals and upper management's
approval."

Near an entrance at Warren City Hall, on Van Dyke near 12 Mile Road, stand three memorials
honoring local residents who died during World War II, the Korean War and in Vietnam.

A few years ago, Warren's Council Park -- at Campbell and Martin roads -- was renamed
Veterans Park, by the City Council. A fund-raising drive for a memorial honoring all
veterans was launched.

The Veterans Memorial Fund Committee later directed an engineering firm donating a portion
of its design work to scale back its initial project, estimated at $300,000. The revised
plan, worth approximately $134,000, includes a stone memorial honoring all men and women
who have served in the armed forces, three flagpoles, landscaping, lighting, brick paver
walkways and a granite marker honoring the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist
attacks.

Last August, a Nextel representative inquired about leasing property at the park to erect
a "transfer tower."

The council usually opposes private use of park property, but informally some members said
they would support it if proceeds from a recommended 5-year lease would be earmarked
specifically for the memorial.

Nextel pledged $100,000 for use of a portion of Veterans Park, said Dennis Champine, a
member of the Veterans Memorial Fund Committee.

"Now we are back to square one. It is a shame Nextel does not share our commitment to
honoring those who have fought to preserve our nation's freedom," said Champine, a former
Marine.

Mixed messages may have doomed the funding, said Nextel in a Jan. 8 letter to the city.

"It was never Nextel's intent to make promises or commitments that would not be honored.
The discussions that took place at the veterans committee meeting were preliminary and
formed the basis for a potential agreement between the city and Nextel Communication,"
wrote Thomas McMahon, director of site development for Nextel's Midwest region.

Thus far, the city has raised approximately $14,000 in private contributions.

The veterans committee will try to come up with a plan at its Feb. 4 meeting to find a
large contributor.

But Champine concedes unveiling of a statue on Memorial Day "may not be realistic."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6845928&BRD=988&PAG=461&dept_id=141265&rfi=6