Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Survey on relationships between Americans and cell phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 04:12:25 -0500

Survey on relationships between Americans and cell phones
Relationships ... they're fodder for daytime soaps, romance novels, talk shows and now,
wireless phone owners. According to a recent national survey conducted by Siemens, most
Americans are in "relationships" with wireless phones, as 65% currently own them. But, are
they truly satisfied? Are their relationships full of passion and attraction? While more
than half of American wireless phone owners describe their relationship with their phones
as a mix of business and pleasure, 36% say it's strictly business. And, while 35% admit
they're constant companions with their mobile phones and can't live without them, about
20% say it's time to break up and find a new phone mate.

The Rules of Attraction

Attraction is vital when it comes to wireless phone relationships, and Americans are
looking for more than just a pretty face and a shining personality. When asked what
characteristics attracted them to their current phones, being high-maintenance is clearly
a turn-off. Overall, 66% say cost is the No. 1 trait. Ease of use came in second at 62%,
followed by functionality (59%). And, more than half of Americans say reputation is a key
element of attraction, with appearance and personality trailing at 37% and 20%,
respectively.

Battle of the Sexes

Men and women have differences of opinion regarding what they're looking for in a wireless
phone. Men are most attracted to their current phones because they offer a variety of
functions (65%), while women are most attracted by cost (72%). But, who says you can't
judge a book by its cover? Men are more smitten by the appearance of their phone compared
to women -- 42% of men versus 32% of women are attracted to their phone because of how it
looks.

Appearance and Personality

While people value characteristics beyond appearance, having "the look" and the
personality to boot are still somewhat important. One out of 10 wireless phone owners
describe their phone companions as sexy and sophisticated. But, a few people need help in
the looks and personality department -- 5% say their phones are dull and annoying or
unattractive and moody. Generally, baby boomers are having a rough time, as 55- to
64-year-olds are not as happy with their phones. Among this age group, the two most common
descriptions of their phone companions are plain and practical and dull and annoying,
while their younger counterparts' top two descriptions are plain and practical and cute
and friendly.

Love-Hate Relationship

As the saying goes, "You can't live with 'em, you can't live without 'em." Fifty-six% of
people admit their phone relationships mix business with pleasure, while 35% say they're
constant companions. On the flip side, 36% report their relationship is strictly business.
While people are certainly not afraid to "commit," nearly one out of five feels it's time
to break up. In fact, more women than men are dissatisfied with their phone and want to
call it quits.

After the Break-Up

When mending a broken heart after the break-up, finding new "love" is next on the agenda.
People who are seeking relationships with new wireless phones are looking for long-term
commitment, as 85% say they're hoping to find tough and dependable phones. Seventy-four%
are seeking a phone companion that is plain and practical, 34% want their new phone to be
cute and friendly, and 27% say sexy and sophisticated top their phone trait wish lists.

Posted to the site on 21-Jan-03

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/