Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Atheros Supports ``Jumpstart Broadband Act'';

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:58:58 -0500

Atheros Supports ``Jumpstart Broadband Act''; Senate Bill Advocates
Increasing Capacity of Advanced WLANs by Allocating Additional 255
MHz of Spectrum in the 5-GHz Band
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-01-17

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 17, 2003--Atheros
Communications, the leading developer of advanced wireless LAN (WLAN)
chipsets, today announced its full support of the Jumpstart Broadband Act
recently introduced by Senators George Allen (R-Va.) and Barbara Boxer
(D-Calif.). The bill addresses the nation's need for increased capacity and
scalability to support the rapidly growing wireless networking market and
various applications including computer networking, home video distribution,
public hot spot Internet access, and broadband services.

Wireless products based on the IEEE802.11b standard have become
increasingly popular worldwide. However, these products operate in the
2.4-GHz band, where there's only 83.5 MHz of unlicensed spectrum shared
by often incompatible wireless devices. In contrast, WLAN products based
on the more advanced IEEE802.11a standard today operate in the less
crowded 5-GHz band, which provides 325 MHz of spectrum. The new bill
calls for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to allocate an
additional 255 MHz of continuous spectrum in the 5-GHz band for
unlicensed wireless use, thus nearly doubling the available spectrum for
high-performance 5-GHz devices.

"By taking action now, Congress is showing that it understands the need for
scalability in ensuring the long-term growth of WLAN applications across
many types of devices," said Rich Redelfs, president and chief executive
officer of Atheros. "The proposed increase in available spectrum will
accelerate the trend towards eliminating wires by providing substantially
more non-interfering channels. Across the globe, the 5-GHz band is rapidly
being used for expanding in-building and outdoor broadband wireless
connectivity. We commend senators Allen and Boxer for their support of the
WLAN industry in ensuring the continued advancement of this important
technology."

802.11a products are now available in many countries throughout the world,
although operating in different parts of the 5-GHz band. The proposed
additional 255 MHz of spectrum for the U.S. (5.470-5.725 GHz) has already
been allocated in Europe for unlicensed applications. About one million
802.11a devices have already been sold, with the latest products having the
capability to automatically adjust to local-country regulations. Most of the
5-GHz unlicensed spectrum has been reserved worldwide for
high-performance devices, avoiding the interference found in the 2.4-GHz
band from microwave ovens, and low-performance cordless phones, baby
monitors and security systems.

The Jumpstart Broadband Act validates Atheros' belief that 5-GHz-based
WLAN technology in addition to legacy 2.4-GHz technology will be required
for the future of wireless communications across the globe.

For more details about the Jumpstart Broadband Act visit
http://www.techlawjournal.com/cong108/boxerallenwifi/20021119.asp.

About Atheros Communications, Inc.

Atheros Communications is the leading developer of networking
technologies for secure, high-performance wireless local area networks. The
Company is the only provider of a single 802.11-compliant chipset
supporting both the 2.4- and 5-GHz bands. In addition to the 2.4-GHz band,
this chipset operates from 4.9-5.9-GHz enabling connections in any country
with unlicensed spectrum in this range. As the industry innovator, Atheros is
driving transparent connections among electronic devices in the office, home
and on the road. Atheros technology is being used by many of the world's
leading wireless equipment manufacturers including Accton, Actiontec,
Acrowave Systems, AIRAYA, AirVast Technology, ALPS, Ambit, Askey,
ASUS, BenQ, Contec, CyberTAN, Dacom, Delta Networks, D-Link,
Gemtek, Gigabyte Technology, Global Sun Tech, ICOM, Intel, Intermec,
I-O Data, Linksys, NEC, NETGEAR, Philips, Proxim, Samsung, Senao,
SMC Networks, Sony, Symbol, TDK, TECOM, USI, W2 Networks,
Wistron NeWeb, Z-Com and others. For more information, visit
www.atheros.com or send email to [email-masked].

Atheros and the Atheros logo are registered trademarks of Atheros
Communications, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are
the property of their respective owners.

Publication date: 2003-01-17

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35967908&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/