Subject: [NEXTEL-1] National Hockey League Press Release

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:32:03 -0500

Posted : : January 27, 2003
Roy Named NHL Player of the Week
National Hockey League Press Release

New York, NY - Colorado's Patrick Roy, who became the first goaltender in NHL history to
reach the 1,000-game
milestone and also posted a 2-0-1 record with consecutive shutouts, a 0.32 goals-against
average and .971 save
percentage, has been named NHL Player of the Week for the period ending Sunday, Jan. 26.

Roy edged Atlanta Thrashers forwards Dany Heatley (five goals, one assist, +4 in three
games) and Vyacheslav
Kozlov (one goal, seven assists, +4 in three games), Washington Capitals defenseman Sergei
Gonchar (two
goals, six assists in four games) and Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Zac Bierk (3-1-0, 1.00
goals-against average)
for the award.

Roy began the week by playing his 1,000th regular-season game Jan. 20 in a 1-1 tie with
the Dallas Stars, the
latest in a series of milestones this season. On Oct. 24 at Phoenix, Roy made his 972nd
career appearance to
pass Terry Sawchuk as the NHL's all-time leader in games played by a goaltender. He passed
Sawchuk for the
League's all-time mark for minutes played by a goaltender (57,194) Nov. 15 at Dallas.

Roy completed the week by posting consecutive shutouts against the Columbus Blue Jackets
(5-0, Jan. 23) and
the Toronto Maple Leafs (3-0, Jan. 25). Roy increased his career shutout total to 63 and
tied Toronto's Ed
Belfour for 11th place on the all-time list.

Voted by fans as the Western Conference's starting goaltender for Sunday's NHL All-Star
Game presented by
Nextel (2:30 p.m., ET, ABC, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio), Roy will be making his 11th career
appearance, tying
Sawchuk for second place all-time among goaltenders. The leader is Glenn Hall, who played
in 13 All-Star
Games with Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis from 1955 through 1969.

Roy improved his season record to 15-11-10 with a 2.43 goals-against average and .909 save
percentage. He is
15 victories shy of reaching 30 for an NHL-record eighth consecutive season.
http://www.hockeytimes.com/nhl/colorado/leaguenews.cfm?ArticleID=01282003120237COL

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/