Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Power Amplifiers To Enhance 3G Mobile Phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:52:12 -0500

Power Amplifiers To Enhance 3G Mobile Phones

22nd January 2003

SiGe Semiconductor announced that it has signed
an agreement with IBM under which SiGe
Semiconductor will be granted assignments and
licenses to intellectual property associated with IBM
power amplifier products.

Inset is a product shot of SiGe's RangeCharger
Power Amplifier.

The complete portfolio includes seven devices in various stages of design, which SiGe
Semiconductor expects will enhance performance of 2G, 2.5G and 3G cellular
handsets.

Under a separate agreement with IBM, SiGe Semiconductor is acquiring
certain design and test equipment, to be housed at the company's new
facilities in the Boston, Massachusetts area. This, combined with a foundry
agreement with IBM, under which IBM will manufacture these power amplifier
devices for SiGe Semiconductor, will help enable the company to quickly bring
these new products to market.

The first three power amplifiers for 2G and 2.5G cellular handsets are
sampling to lead customers now, sold under SiGe Semiconductor's RangeCharger
brand. The roadmap includes GPRS and EDGE capable quad-band GSM power
amplifiers for 2.5G mobile handsets, as well as 4x4 matched CDMA power
amplifier modules for 2.5G and 3G mobile handsets.

"This agreement presents an ideal opportunity to expand our product line
and enter new markets where our core expertise in silicon germanium will
provide significant advantages to our customers," said Jim Derbyshire,
president and CEO, SiGe Semiconductor. "With the broadest selection of silicon
germanium power amplifiers on the market, we expect to quickly capture market
share, and secure our place among lead competitors."

Silicon germanium power amps present major advantages to cellular market
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SiGe Semiconductor's first products to sample include the SE5100 and
SE5101 for CDMA/AMPS handsets operating in the 824 to 849MHz frequency band;
and the SE5111 for CDMA/PCS handsets operating in the 1850 to 1910MHz band.
The new power amplifiers are based on a highly efficient silicon
germanium BiCMOS process that improves power efficiency, linearity and
integration. Using this process, the SE5100, SE5101 and SE5111 include bias
circuits that enable operation over broad dynamic range and guarantee
ruggedness under high voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) conditions. This is a
substantial advantage over gallium arsenide (GaAs) alternatives, which may
require more expensive power amplifier ICs and CMOS control ICs to achieve the
same levels of control and performance.
All three power amplifiers are available now. Supplied in a 4x4mm QFN,
the SE5100 is priced at US $0.75 in 10k unit quantities. The SE5101 and SE5111
are each supplied in a 6x6 mm low-profile matched module, priced at US $1.80
in 10k unit quantities. The devices will be featured at booth No. G16 in the
UK Pavilion at the 3GSM conference, February 17-21, 2003.

Silicon germanium ICs expected to gain higher profile in cellular market
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The total market for cellular power amplifiers used in 2G, 2.5G and 3G
phones is expected to represent a US $1.4 billion opportunity by 2005
(InStat/MDR). SiGe Semiconductor believes that silicon germanium based power
amplifiers will displace GaAs alternatives, as consumer pressures continue to
drive handset prices down. Since silicon germanium is based on conventional
high-volume VLSI processes, devices can be produced at higher yields and at a
fraction of the price of GaAs ICs.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Jan2003/4759.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/