Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fatal Chase - Digital Versus Analog

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:56:48 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  Fatal Chase - Digital Versus Analog

This article does not point out a "digital versus analog" issue at all.  It points out the
clasic lack of interoperability that has historically existed in public safety probably
since the time when some 1940's AM systems were changed to 1950's low band FM systems.  

Since the issue in this group is supposed to be related to Project 25, at least systems
that are migrating to digital (like some went from AM to FM and later systems migrated to
higher frequency bands)should have a common mode of digital interoperability. Instead of
trying to understand the only digital LMR public safety standard that exists in this
country, some people try to mount the soap box to decry moving from an older to an newer
technology, and then they interject things like this to support some private objective or
opinion.

All that Project 25 was intended to do was to establish a standard digital technology for
public safety interoperability.  It has succeeded in doing that.  Some people appear to
want to hang on to outdated and ineffieicnt technologies, and they also continue to read
in to Project 25 things that were never there.  

The world is not going to remain analog forever, and all public safety cannot be placed on
a common platform.  Let's get on with figuring out in an evolving digital world how to
have that common denominator for digital interoperability, and let's get on with figuring
out how to marry disparate analog and digital systems to each other to achieve whatever
level of interoperability the local conditions demand.

Don Pfohl
Project 25 Steering Committee

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/