Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News & Analysis 4Mobility - 17 January 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:03:26 -0500

17 January 2003

By Barney L. Dewey <[email-masked]>

Today's Topics:

1. Is There Synergy Between Wide Area Wireless And 802.11a/b/g?
2. Wi-Fi Takes Off
3. People Will Pay For Entertainment
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is There Synergy Between Wide Area Wireless And Wi-Fi?

There should be and someday there probably will be synergy between wide area wireless and
802.11a/b/g. However, I believe it will be years before it happens. The technical hurdles
are significant. I find it difficult today to take a Wi-Fi equipped laptop between our
office and my home and have it work in both environments. The office has an Exchange
server so the computers must be configured for a "domain". My home is configured as a
"workgroup". To get Windows XP to deal with the two different environments--domain and
workgroup--and to get the IP settings--static in the office and dynamic at home--correct
is a major challenge. Security is different for the two Wi-Fi networks--that's not too
hard to get right. But what if we required a VPN connection in the office for Wi-Fi
access--like most enterprises? Another configuration nightmare.

When I add public Wi-Fi to the mix sometimes it works with my configuration for my office
and home, other times it doesn't. It seems to depend on the public network I try. Again,
IP configurations can be annoying obstacles in making this work.

Now let's add wide area wireless to the mix. I use Verizon's Express network with Sierra's
555 PC card. They work great but I need to have my laptop configured as a workgroup
computer and can only access the Internet, not our office LAN. That can probably be
accomplished with the right hardware and software.

What I really want is seamless roaming between all of these different environments. It
sounds like a tall order considering the computer configuration differences between
"workgroup" and "domain", IP configuration differences and different wireless security
settings.

BTW, I do want my computer at home to be configured as a "workgroup" computer. Windows XP
provides me with an easier to use interface that the rest of the family appreciates when
working in the workgroup mode.

I applaud Motorola, Proxim and Avaya in trying to take this problem on. If it can be
solved, then wireless LANs and wireless WANs will build synergy and wireless LANs will
help drive wide area wireless. Until these configuration problems are solved, I believe
most subscribers will stick with the configuration they use most often and will forgo
using multiple wireless networks.

The News [Image]

Phone Units Join in Effort for Seamless Wireless Net
By BARNABY J. FEDER, New York Times

Motorola, Proxim and Avaya are expected to announce ... that they will jointly develop
technology to allow wireless communications to jump between networks without interruption.
Analysts briefed on the plans said the partnership would face daunting technical hurdles,
including reconciling the different security levels and frequency levels in different
wireless networks. Most Wi-Fi networks have focused on transfer of e-mail messages and
other forms of data from laptop computers but the goal of the three companies is to offer
seamless transitions to cellphone users as well.

More @ http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/business/14MOTO.html
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wi-Fi Takes Off

It looks like in a few years we will have wireless LAN connections on many long flights.
My understanding is that it will be priced around $35 for unlimited use. Again, I feel
like I need to challenge the business model of public Wi-Fi. Sure a few will pay the
charge but I don't see enough paying to cover the costs. Most travelers I see on these
flights are trying to sleep a good portion of the time and look forward to a movie or two.
If domestic flights are added we might see more of an uptake. This will be interesting to
follow.

Doesn't all of the excitement around Wi-Fi business concepts remind you of the dot com
hysteria of a few years back? Wi-Fi is great but that doesn't mean there are a lot of good
business models for public access. What makes it great is its low cost for hardware and
free access in the home and office. Start charging for access and see how big this market
really is or isn't. How many dot coms got to charge?

The News [Image]

Lufthansa and Cisco Put Wi-Fi in the Plane
By Eric Griffith, Internet.com

Deutsche Lufthansa AG is currently doing passenger trials of in-flight Wi-Fi- and
Ethernet-based access to the Internet. Partnered with Boeing Company (Quote, Company Info)
and Cisco Systems (Quote, Company Info), the Lufthansa flight -- part of a project called
FlyNet -- will travel from Frankfurt, Germany to Washington D.C and back for the next
three months. The fixed Ethernet installed in some seats still turned out to be a massive
undertaking. According to Hindle it required over 550 kilograms (1474 pounds) worth of
additional wiring -- that's a lot of displaced passengers or luggage. Wireless solutions
would shave that weight. Lufthansa expects to put broadband in its entire intercontinental
fleet over the next two years.

More @ http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1570531
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People Will Pay For Entertainment

I am one of those that hate any ringing cell phone in any situation. They are very
annoying, especially when a song starts up in the middle of a conversation or meeting. I
won't use a cell phone unless it is on vibrate. Okay, now you know I am old. The following
story helps me understand that people will pay for entertainment and how good of a
business it is for anyone, including wireless operators, that can get a piece of it.
Entertainment is a great business model--how can we get Wi-Fi public networks to be an
important part of the entertainment chain?

The News [Image]

Ring-Tone Sales Near $1 Billion
By Bernhard Warner, European Internet Correspondent, Reuters

A new study released Wednesday by London-based Informa Media Group said that authors'
collection societies collected $71 million in royalties from ring-tone sales in 2002, up
58 percent from the previous year. Informa's senior analyst Simon Dyson said the royalties
figure -- which is typically 10 percent to 15 percent of the total sales from ring tones
-- would suggest that the overall market is over $700 million annually, and quite possibly
as high as $1 billion.

The proceeds are divided between operators, labels and the artists. Informa predicts the
segment will expand significantly, particularly as more handsets with stereophonic
playback hit the market.

More @ http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2048184
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/