Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hanaro Telecom Initiates Field Trial in Korea with Flarion

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 15:18:20 -0500

Hanaro Telecom Initiates Field Trial in Korea with Flarion
Technologies' Wireless Broadband System
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2002-12-16

BEDMINSTER, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 16, 2002--

Field Trial with Leading Korean Broadband Internet Provider

Continues Flarion's Momentum in Korean Market

Flarion Technologies, the architect of the flash-OFDM(TM) wireless
broadband system for licensed wireless operators, and Hanaro Telecom
(KOSDAQ:33630, NASDAQ: HANA), one of Korea's leading high-speed
Internet and e-business companies, today announced that Hanaro Telecom
will conduct a field trial of Flarion's flash-OFDM(TM) wireless broadband
system.

Hanaro Telecom is seeking to develop a combined wireless and wireline
service with Flarion's broadband wireless system, which will support their
strategy of becoming the leader in next generation high-speed wireless
Internet technology. With this service, residential customers will be able to
use broadband Internet both inside and outside of their homes. The Korean
government is reviewing its policy for use of 2.3GHz frequency for broadband
wireless Internet and Hanaro Telecom is testing with Flarion in order to
support government policy and Korea's 2.3GHz wireless system
development.

"High-speed Internet in Korea has surpassed 10 million subscribers and the
market has become very competitive. Providers have begun giving up profits
to maintain their market share," said Yun-Sik Shin, CEO of Hanaro
Telecom. "Hanaro Telecom plans to create a new 2.3GHz wireless Internet
market that will achieve the same level of success we have had with ADSL."

With Flarion's flash-OFDM technology, users experience comparable
performance, security and bandwidth allocation as they would in an office on
a shared Local Area Network (LAN) environment, without making any
modifications to user settings, applications, protocols, content or devices.

"We are pleased to have the opportunity to work with Hanaro Telecom on
this trial of our flash-OFDM technology," said Ray Dolan, chairman and
CEO of Flarion Technologies. "Hanaro Telecom has become a leading
broadband Internet provider and now, they have the opportunity to become
one of the leading providers of high speed wireless Internet."

"With more than 10 million wired broadband connections, Korea is the world
leader and has defined the wired broadband market. And with almost a 70%
penetration rate for cellular service, the country values mobility," said
Sauk-Hun Song, senior analyst with Gartner. "With the right technology,
there will be a wireline-to-wireless conversion that will enable the same
broadband data user experience on a wireless network that is currently
available on a wired network. The technology needs to be based on the
Internet Protocol (IP), packet-switched, with broadband data rates and low
latency. If operators can deliver this type of user experience, then we will
see this conversion take place very quickly."

Beginning in April of 2003, Hanaro Telecom, in order to help set their
strategy for wireless Internet, will begin broadband wireless Internet service
testing of Flarion's flash-OFDM system. The deployment of 2.3 GHz
high-speed wireless Internet systems will require significant investment in
Internet infrastructure. However, Hanaro Telecom, which currently provides
local high-speed fixed line services, can leverage their existing IT
infrastructure and thereby avoid these high infrastructure investment costs.
The results of the trial testing will help set the technology standard for
2.3GHz and will also serve as a market validation tool to help reduce market
risk for operators.

The testing will confirm Flarion's wireless Internet performance, scalability,
link budget, performance in the frequency environment and transparent
delivery of enterprise and lifestyle applications over an end-to-end IP network
infrastructure. The trial will be conducted in the Ilsan area, utilizing the
2.3GHz frequency band and requiring only 1.25MHz of paired FDD
spectrum. Hanaro Telecom will deploy Flarion RadioRouter(TM) base
stations and utilize existing towers and backhaul infrastructure. In addition,
users will have Flarion's Wireless modems for their laptops and Personal
Digital Assistants (PDAs), so that they can experience broadband Internet
access, email, online gaming and all other IP applications.

About Hanaro Telecom

Founded September 23, 1997, Hanaro Telecom Inc. is one of Korea's
largest high-speed Internet service and local telecommunications providers.
The Company, which was established in 1997 and commenced commercial
operations on April 1, 1999, is the only competitive local exchange carrier in
Korea licensed to provide voice telephony services across its own last-mile
access network. It also provides broadband Internet access, multimedia
content and corporate data services bundled with voice telephone in an
integrated package. Hanaro deploys multiple broadband last mile access
technologies to ensure rapid rollout in high-density areas while preserving
access speeds and minimizing coverage overlaps as well as capital
expenditure. Hanaro listed on the NASDAQ through issuance of American
Depository Receipts (ADRs) on March 29, 2000. Its common shares are
listed on KOSDAQ. More information about Hanaro Telecom can be
accessed at www.hanaro.com.

About Flarion Technologies

Flarion Technologies is unwiring the Internet with its innovative
communications network technology. Flarion's flash-OFDM(TM) technology,
which originated in Bell Labs, enables licensed wireless operators to
profitably offer Internet Protocol (IP)-based broadband services. For wireless
operators, Flarion's technology has the lowest cost per broadband
subscriber as compared to any wireless system in the world. Flarion's
RadioRouter(TM) base station product easily overlays onto an operator's
existing network and radio spectrum, and provides a seamless routing
interface to the operator's existing IP network. Flarion's flash-OFDM-based
devices provide users wireless Internet access with a true broadband
experience. Flarion Technologies is based in Bedminster, New Jersey
(USA). The Company has been named as the #1 company on Unstrung's
"Top 25" and "Top 10 to Watch" by Red Herring Magazine. Investors include
Bessemer Venture Partners, Charles River Ventures, Cisco Systems,
Equitek Capital, New Venture Partners II LP, Nassau Capital, Pequot
Capital and SK Telecom. More information about Flarion can be accessed
at www.flarion.com.

Note to editors: Flarion, flash-OFDM, RadioRouter and PC 1000 are
trademarks of Flarion Technologies. Other trademarks and registered
trademarks referenced herein remain the property of their respective owners.

Publication date: 2002-12-16

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/