Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Poll: Is APCO-25 An Appropriate Technologyfor Public Safety?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:05:02 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: John Powell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Poll: Is APCO-25 An Appropriate Technologyfor Public Safety?

While Stan is correct that the major direction within NTIA was to 
narrowband for spectrum efficiency, NTIA was nonetheless very involved in 
Project 25 during this same period.  Within that forum, they were 
definitely promoting the interoperability benefits of a common 
standard.  From the federal agency user community perspective, they are 
looking at the narrowbanding mandate as an opportunity to finally resolve 
their interoperability problems.  The reason that so many federal agencies 
have standardized on Project 25 is to meet their interop requirements while 
at the same realizing the other benefits of P25, particularly in the area 
of trunking as many new fed trunking systems are being built, and many of 
these are multi-agency.

John Powell

At 06:48 AM 1/22/2003 -0700, Stan Friskney wrote:
>As an employee of a Federal agency I can say that NTIA never mandated that 
>we migrate toward P25.  We were never told what radio platform to use or 
>even that it be analog or digital.  The only mandate from NTIA was that we 
>go narrowband.  That would seem to imply that the Federal government's 
>main concern is spectrum efficiency, not interoperability.
>
>Stan

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/