Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ubicom Brings Enterprise-Level Security to Wireless Networks

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:34:24 -0500

Ubicom Brings Enterprise-Level Security to Wireless Networks at Half
the Cost of Competitive Solutions; Announces Availability of 802.1x
Secure Wireless Development Kit
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-01-09

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 9, 2003--Ubicom(TM),
Inc., a leading provider of wireless network processor and software platforms
for wireless networks and device connectivity, today announced it is
supporting 802.1x security on its IP2022 microprocessor and software
platform. The company introduced new evaluation and development kits with
802.1x support that enable OEMs and ODMs to bring enterprise-level
security to their 802.11b wireless network equipment at less than half the
cost of competing solutions. The technology is being demonstrated in a
static display hosted by the Wi-Fi Alliance, and a live display in a private
meeting room, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).(1) The show
opens today in Las Vegas, Nev.

"The industry has made great strides in ensuring secure wireless
communications, yet few have benefited due to the high-cost of wireless
network equipment," said Bulent Celebi, president and CEO of Ubicom, Inc.
"By enabling 802.1x on our powerful, low-cost wireless network processor
and software platform, we are allowing OEMs and ODMs to bring
enterprise-level security to their 802.11b equipment and finally making it
economically feasible for small and mid-sized businesses to implement
secure WLANs. We expect this development to fuel the rapid deployment of
wireless networks by the entire industry."

Support for 802.1x security is available today on wireless access points that
sell for approximately $250-500. Because Ubicom's wireless network
processor and software platform substantially lowers the bill of materials
(BOM) cost of wireless network equipment, the company expects access
points based on its platform to retail for less than half the cost of these
competitive solutions.

Ubicom's 802.1x Security Implementation

Ubicom has developed a new software module for its IP2022
microprocessor, called ipAuthenticator, that allows 802.1x to operate
natively on the Ubicom IP2022 processor. The platform enables an access
point to perform authentication pass-through for a Remote Authentication
Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) authentication server on an 802.11b network.
As a result, the network can rapidly identify and verify users to ensure
authorized network access. Ubicom's ipAuthenticator module supports all
methods of the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), including
EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS and EAP-MD5.

As with any Ubicom ipModule, customers can quickly add 802.1x security
to their design with the click of a button, using a unique Configuration Tool
that is only available for Ubicom's platform. The tool features a user-friendly
GUI that allows customers to pick and choose from a comprehensive
offering of networking features and functions, customizing their design with
any combination of Ubicom ipModules. After customers select their desired
features, the Configuration Tool automatically builds all of the necessary
code, and strips away unused code to conserve memory.

Support for Advanced Encryption Capabilities: WPA and 802.11i

Ubicom's 802.1x security solution is fully upgradeable to the 802.11i and
Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) standards currently in development. These
standards provide secure encryption capabilities for wireless networks. As a
beta partner to the industry's leading software providers, as well as wireless
chipset suppliers like Intersil, Ubicom is actively involved in the evolution of
these standards and will be among the first to support WPA and 802.11i on
its platform. Moreover, customers who purchase Ubicom's 802.1x solution
today will be able to upgrade to these standards free of charge when they
are finalized.

About Ubicom's Platform

Ubicom has substantially lowered the BOM cost for wireless devices and
networking equipment by taking a ground-up approach to the design of its
wireless network processor and software platform. The platform consists of
the IP2022 microprocessor and a custom operating system, specialized
instruction set, and networking stack software modules. The IP2022
employs a deterministic, memory-to-memory architecture that processes
packets directly in memory, reducing instructions and memory size. All
communications and control functions are implemented in software. This
unique Software SOC(TM) methodology allows the processor to be
programmed and reprogrammed to support virtually any networking protocol.

Ubicom's networking software also offers OEMs a more than 20x reduction
in memory size versus traditional networking software, minimizing the need
for costly external memory. The result is an optimized platform that offers up
to five times higher throughput, at less than half the cost, using one-third the
power in one-tenth the footprint of competing technologies. This total
solution achieves a new level of design simplicity that not only results in a
lower-cost solution, but also increases overall system reliability while
accelerating the manufacturing process, since fewer components are used
than traditional designs. As a result, Ubicom's approach can dramatically
reduce product development time -- from one year to less than 12 weeks.

Pricing and Availability

Ubicom's 802.1x solutions are available immediately from Ubicom.
Customers can purchase the Secure Wireless evaluation kit for $495 and
will receive an evaluation board, schematics and documentation for creating
a secure 802.11b access point. Ubicom is also offering a Secure Wireless
Development Kit for $9,995. The kit includes Ubicom's new 802.1x software
modules and works in conjunction with Ubicom's recently announced
Advanced Wireless Kit (AWK). The AWK includes all of the hardware and
software components needed to embed networking connectivity into
wireless and device networking products. It is also available immediately for
$9,995. Please visit Ubicom's Web site at http://www.ubicom.com for more
information about purchase and upgrade options.

About Ubicom, Inc.

Ubicom, Inc. is making ubiquitous communications a reality, through
wireless network processor and software platforms that enable all electronic
devices to be connected to each other -- securely, cost-effectively and
transparently. With headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., Ubicom also has
offices in Oregon, as well as the United Kingdom, Belgium, Taiwan and
Hong Kong. For more information, visit www.ubicom.com.

Note to Editors: Ubicom and Software SOC are trademarks of Ubicom, Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.

(1) A static technology display will take place in meeting room

#34316, CES Meeting Place, South Hall 4, Las Vegas Convention

Center.

Publication date: 2003-01-09
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35753745&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/