Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MSS Decision A Split For Consumers

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:16:25 -0500

CTIA: 
MSS Decision A Split For Consumers 

By Wireless Week Staff
January 31, 2003
news@2 direct  

The FCC's decision to allow mobile satellite service providers to use some of their
spectrum to offer terrestrial wireless service sparked criticism from one segment of the
wireless industry and praise from another. The commission's actions ignited a little bit
of both from CTIA.

Mobile satellite service providers didn't have to pay for their spectrum at auction as
terrestrial providers have done, creating a rift in the wireless industry between
satellite-based providers and land-based carriers. Plus, MSS providers that actually have
launched services have yet to prove they are commercially viable. 

CTIA expressed its disappointment with the FCC's decision and said it likely will file for
reconsideration, noting that other legal challenges could be raised as well. But CTIA
praised the commission for its decision to reallocate 30 MHz of MSS spectrum to other
uses. 

'This is a split decision for consumers,' stated Tom Wheeler, president and CEO of CTIA.
'Consumers should welcome the FCC's decision to take spectrum away from satellite
licensees who could not even make it over the first hurdle of deploying their satellites.'

However, he cautioned, 'the FCC's decision to give failing satellite companies new
technical rights is a gigantic giveaway that will cost taxpayers billions of dollars.'

Commissioner Michael Copps dissented in part, noting that MSS licensees did not pay for
spectrum 
licenses and suggested an MSS usage fee. Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein expressed his
concern that the decision should not allow a satellite system with an ancillary
terrestrial component to evolve into a terrestrial system with an ancillary mobile
satellite component; he underscored his commitment to ensuring that licensees fully comply
with so-called gating restrictions.

The FCC said 30 megahertz of spectrum from the 2 GHz MSS will be allocated to fixed and
mobile services; the commission is seeking comment on potential uses of an additional 15
megahertz of spectrum.

The FCC also announced measures intended to help mitigate interference concerns, which
were raised in several CTIA filings in recent weeks. CTIA says it will review those
constraints to ensure they adequately protect PCS customers from interference.  

Meanwhile, Mobile Satellite Ventures can't wait to get into the terrestrial game. The
company issued a statement saying it expects to build a terrestrial component to its
current satellite system shortly. The 
next-generation system is scheduled to be in service in 2005.

'We look forward to bringing transparent wireless connectivity to our current customers,
as well as a whole new customer base,' stated Gary Parsons, MSV's chairman and CEO.
 
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=112372&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/