Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SmartServ & Wireless Retail Join Forces

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 02:45:18 -0500

SmartServ & Wireless Retail Join Forces To Enable Retailers To Sell & Activate
Wireless Data Services at Point of Sale

Simple, Cost-Effective Marketing Approach Offers Consumers Targeted
Application Bundles

STAMFORD, Conn. and SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Jan. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
The nation's wireless carriers now have a solution for offering wireless data
services directly to consumers at the point of sale through national retail
outlets.
SmartServ Online, Inc. (Nasdaq: SSOL) a wireless applications service
provider and Wireless Retail, Inc., one of the nation's largest retailers of
wireless phones and services, today announced that they will sell ... and
immediately activate ... wireless data application bundles for consumers at
retail point of sale (POS).
For the first time, Wireless Retail will enable national retailers to
offer their customers immediate access to compelling wireless data
applications, targeted to match their market demographics, in conjunction with
the sale of a wireless device and service plan.   A simple, efficient
operation, this program will be initially offered through Wireless Retails'
national network of "store-in-a-store" locations.  Simply put, consumers can
buy and activate pre-paid data cards that enable them to immediately download
content for their wireless phones.
"This dramatically changes the distribution model for wireless data
application sales and makes selling these applications and content similar to
selling voice service," said Chris Storbeck, vice president of product
development at Wireless Retail.  "Everyone benefits: carriers, retailers, and
consumers.  Carriers get more sell-through and incremental data revenue,
retailers get incremental sales through differentiation, and customers get to
experience the advantages of new 2.5G and 3G services."
SmartServ will help differentiate Wireless Retail's service offerings by
providing targeted wireless data application bundles customized for each of
its distribution channels.  The keys to successfully selling these bundles are
Wireless Retail's consultative sales approach and the Company's proprietary,
web-based POS system.  Wireless Retail's sales associates will increase
carrier ARPU by selling incremental data services, while the company's
advanced POS system will lower carrier acquisition costs for data subscribers.
"Wireless Retail's sophisticated POS system will enable us to activate
applications, compensate personnel and differentiate offerings of wireless
data services.  For retailers, this is an entirely new way to reach and sell
to wireless consumers ... right at the cash register," said David Dillard,
SmartServ's Vice President of Retail Distribution.  "It's a unique opportunity
to sell handsets and provide selectively bundled packages of wireless
applications to actively buying customers -- right at the time of purchase.
By targeting the needs of each retailer's specific market demographics, they
can provide their customers with a rewarding buying experience so that these
users fully maximize and enjoy their voice and data services.  This could lead
to a revolution in the way the industry markets and merchandises wireless
devices and applications because everyone benefits ... carriers, retailers and
consumers."
For customers interested in accessing business-oriented, lifestyle or
entertainment programs, Wireless Retail will offer pre-bundled data card
packages with relevant applications like the Mobile Fun-N-Games card for ring
tones, music and games. These tailored offerings meet consumer needs while
building partner revenue streams.  "Consumers have been looking for reasons to
buy new wireless phones other than for a color screen.  Salespeople have been
looking for reasons to sell new wireless phones other than a color screen,"
said Dan Chaffee, SmartServ's Vice President of Retail Marketing.  "With our
Mobile Fun-N-Games cards, retail salespeople can show and sell all the
benefits of new wireless phones and applications.  It helps clear the
confusion about new applications by simplifying the process," Chaffee added.

About Wireless Retail
Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Wireless Retail Inc. (WRI), is one of the nation's
top five retailers of wireless phones, service plans and other service-based
technology products, and a leading provider of outsourced retail sales
solutions in these categories.  Through its operations in some of the nation's
largest retailers, WRI has developed one of the country's largest sales and
distribution networks for wireless products and services.  Founded in 1994,
WRI pioneered the "store-in-a-store" model for wireless sales, while also
developing successful programs for consumer direct marketing.  WRI also
specializes in selling other service-based technology products such as
satellite TV and broadband. Visit us at http://www.wirelessretailinc.com .

About SmartServ
SmartServ (Nasdaq: SSOL) is a wireless applications service provider
offering applications, development and hosting services.  Today, SmartServ's
customer and distribution relationships exist across a network of wireless
carriers, strategic partners, and a major financial institution, including
Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Nextel, Motorola, QUALCOMM, TELUS Mobility
and Salomon Smith Barney.  We offer content branded by Forbes.com,
BusinessWeek Online, Dow Jones, The Wall Street Journal Online and S&P
Comstock.
SmartServ offers mobile data solutions that can generate additional
revenue, increase operating efficiency, and extend brand awareness for
wireless carriers, enterprises and content providers.  We offer standard and
custom-built applications designed for a vast array of wireless platforms and
devices.  Our applications can be delivered via Java(TM) 2 Platform, Micro
Edition (J2ME(TM)), QUALCOMM's Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless(TM)
(BREW(TM)) solution, WAP and SMS, as well as RIM Blackberry and Pocket PC
devices.  For more information, please visit http://www.SmartServ.com .

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/