Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News: Another delay in 3G Launch in UK by Hutchison 3G]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 11:46:33 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Syed Maqbool Hassan <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  News: Another delay in 3G Launch in UK by Hutchison 3G

3rd Month, 2003 For 3's 3G Launch in UK
 
1st January 2003 by Kevin Thomas of 3G
 
The UK press has reported that Hutchison 3G will not be launching 3G 
in the UK until March 2003. If this is correct, 3G.co.uk feels this 
is another kick in the teeth for 3G in Europe, which was hanging on 
for Hutchison to launch 3G and cheer up the industry.

The UK public will wait till at least March 2003 to have the NEC 
e606 3G Mobile ( with Video calling, Video messaging, Video 
download, Built-in camera and Media player ) in their pockets.

I know , the bulk of the UK public were not aware of the imminent 
launch of 3G and what it could do, but the majority of potential 
early adopters know and quite frankly would have expected the launch 
in 2002. Fair enough, a trial is underway in London to prove and 
iron-out hiccups within the network and handsets, yet Manx Telecom 
did this over 12 months ago on the Isle Of Man. For at least the 
last 12 months, Hutchison assured us that they would launch in 2002. 
Missing that launch, and delaying till 2003 makes me shudder and all 
I feel is bad WAP type vibes.

The fact that there are now some awesome GPRS phones - the Sharp GX1 
and GX10 spring to mind - means that GPRS is the only decent 
wireless phone choice for the UK public well into 2003. I wonder 
what aftershocks may present themselves ?

I have been reporting on 3G for nearly 3 years and personally I feel 
sad to hear this. In many respects this would not have come as such 
a shock had Hutchison 3G provided regular progress updates. It would 
be nice to think that Hutchison will issue a press release and 
confirm the actual position, the trial objectives, progress and 
hiccups, and the actual launch details e.g 3G coverage areas etc.

I had always wanted a 3G phone for Xmas 2002 but I ain't got one.

Source:
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Jan2003/4656.htm

Best regards
Syed Hassan

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/