Subject: FW: [NEXTEL-1] Firefighters Train for Rescues at Cell Phone Towers

From: "Mabardy, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:39:40 -0500

So as I understand the previous postings ref. the above subject, responding fire "engines" don't carry a set of $100.00 (or cheaper) long handled bolt cutters for cutting the shackle on standard Master Locks.  Instead their going to haul out the Hurst tool, cutting first the lock on the gate, then going over to the meter bank, cutting all padlocks (which btw the National Electric Code does not allow to be locked, but we all know that site security is lacking and that keeping the disconnect locked keeps the site up, which I personally agree with), then turning all the disconnects off, then force entry (if smoke is showing) attack line charged, open the door and fill the room with water on heavy fog pattern.  At this point (because emergency power-generator, battery, solar, mice power, what ever has the site load) all equipment in room is toast because if you spray water on powered up electronic equipment the boards are immediately fried, so now the fire is out, the electronics are dripping wet, the site owner is extremely 10-96 (mentally distraught), the site is down until equipment is replaced/reconfigured.
The Fire Department had better hope that they do not wipe out their own 800MHz digital trunking  prime site, taking down the entire Public Safety radio system for the jurisdiction that this occurred in, because if they did then I can assure you that they had better have kept that old analog radio, or better yet your radio administrator had the foresight to have some analog conventional repeaters placed (not in the same building) around the county/jurisdiction and the radios programmed to operate on.  If not then the OIC will not look very good.

Now in a properly designed radio room, there is installed a shunt trip breaker (which if installed correctly) in the main panel that the fire guys can easily see the RED mushroom switch on the wall and mash this button before water is squirted.

But oh well.  Now, why not put a shunt trip in one of those Fire Department key boxes, I'm sure everyone here has seen those "Kiddie" brand chromed key boxes with the red reflective strip on it and this should not be to hard to visualize) and come up with some sort of (not very obvious to joe q normal vandal/citizen) labeling, one for the key and one for the shunt trip? 
Just better be aware of a little common sense that should prevail before the order is given to squirt H20.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 18:05:41 -0500

"Mabardy, Mark" wrote:

> So as I understand the previous postings ref. the above subject, responding fire "engines" don't carry a set of $100.00 (or cheaper) long handled bolt cutters for cutting the shackle on standard Master Locks.

They may have a set of bolt cutters, but in 15 yrs I have never seen them use them. The tool of choice is the Hurst Tool or the Diamond Blade Saw. In NYC no one uses a "Standard Master Lock" (unless the want to get robbed)  they use heavy duty locks that are immune to some bolt cutters.

> Instead their going to haul out the Hurst tool, cutting first the lock on the gate, then going over to the meter bank, cutting all padlocks (which btw the National Electric Code does not allow to be locked, but we all know that site security is lacking and that keeping the disconnect locked keeps the site up, which I personally agree with), then turning all the disconnects off, then force entry (if smoke is showing) attack line charged, open the door and fill the room with water on heavy fog pattern.  At this point (because emergency power-generator, battery, solar, mice power, what ever has the site load) all equipment in room is toast because if you spray water on powered up electronic equipment the boards are immediately fried, so now the fire is out, the electronics are
> dripping wet, the site owner is extremely 10-96 (mentally distraught), the site is down until equipment is replaced/reconfigured.

> The Fire Department had better hope that they do not wipe out their own 800MHz digital trunking  prime site, taking down the entire Public Safety radio system for the jurisdiction that this occurre…

True- every agency should have a radio contingency plan. (2-way pagers, old radio system, cellphones)

> Now in a properly designed radio room, there is installed a shunt trip breaker (which if installed correctly) in the main panel that the fire guys can easily see the RED mushroom switch on the wall…

True but but at small sites they don't install the shunt trips or transfer switches.

> But oh well.  Now, why not put a shunt trip in one of those Fire Department key boxes, I'm sure everyone here has seen those "Kiddie" brand chromed key boxes with the red reflective strip on it and…

"Knox Box" is the answer.