Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Help from N.E. GA or SC

From: "Richard E. Willimon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:36:08 -0500

Yes,  there is another Ga. station located on a mountain in North Ga. and we
also have the seasonal delight of listening to their transmissions... This
usually lets me know of current band openings on VHF !!! We have also tried
using two antenna instead of the combiner route...and locating the Tx and Rx
antenna on a very large spread to decrease "interference" from adjacent
stations...

Questions usually arise as to whether or not the numerous agencies involved
should move to 800Mhz. I say sure if you can afford the difference between
20-40 thousand and 2-3 Million!!!

Happy New Year Everybody!

 Richard E. Willimon
Communications & Electronics, Inc.
www.2wayradio.com
800-238-1277 LaGrange Ga. Office (106 Swift Street)
706-882-7840 LaGrange Ga. Office
800-306-8054 PhenixCity Al. Office(1803 Crawford Road)
334-298-8962 PhenixCity Al.Office
706-845-0375 Home
888-475-5033 Southern LINC portable
888-399-3044 Southern LINC mobile
KE4YYO

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Blake Bowers [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 4:11 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Help from N.E. GA or SC

  Days gone by in TN, I could key up the Clingmans dome USFS repeater from
  the TEMA office in Nashville.  Just about full quieting on recieve.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: [email-masked]
    To: [email-masked]
    Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 2:38 PM
    Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Help from N.E. GA or SC

    I am with the Tennessee Highway Patrol and we also use 156.210 mhz for
many of our repeater inputs. I am 98% sure that the SO in GA is 100.0 Hz.
Our Repeater in Morgan County (near Brushy Mt. Prison) receives the GA SO
repeater VERY well!! When the Rpt. was put in service in 1985 it was set up
with a 100.0 hz receive tone which had to be changed by the former tech to
107.2hz. In 1996 we received problems with that tone from a police
department near Portsmouth, Ohio. I am now on 97.4hz and it is quiet.  This
repeater is controlled by 960 mhz microwave and I have the capability to go
carrier squelch (which I do many times)and I can hear the GA rpt very well.
    Hope this helps!

    >
    > From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
    > Date: 2002/12/31 Tue PM 02:23:21 EST
    > To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
    > Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Help from N.E. GA or SC
    >
    > -------- Original Message --------
    >    From: JLDavis
    > Subject:  Help from N.E. GA or SC
    >
    >
    > Greetings! Straight from the "You ain't gonna believe this..." stack
of stuff. Here in
    > Troup County / Lagrange along the GA / AL border our Sheriff's Dept
repeater is being
    > keyed up by Hart County S.O.  When I looked at the map on ScanAtlanta,
I couldn't believe
    > my eyes.  Troup is on the opposite edge of the state from Hart!  Talk
about skip!   We've
    > been hearing these guys but I could never hear the name of the agency.
Well, the other
    > day, loud and clear I heard a DNR calling Hart County. As I suspected,
Hart's repeater
    > output is 156.210 Mhz.  That is Troup's repeater input frequency.
Troup operates a PL tone
    > of 100-Hz. Can anyone that receives Hart County S.O. on 156.210-Mhz
please advise what PL
    > tone Hart is using????   Either Hart has the same PL tone or our
repeater's CTCSS is not
    > always remaining in the "ACTIVE" position. Thanks for any help you can
offer. Best
    > Regards,
    > Julian
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 09:02:31 -0500

...Or if you can even get the channels at 800!  We've run the numbers
comparing systems, and in one case, Motorola actually offered a 9-site
digital simulcast system at about 4x the cost of a comparable 4-site analog
system.  Ouch!

We have done a number of analyses regarding system operations for utilities
where they have the old PW channels - 153.71 is one that is very commonly
used.  I have clients that are licensed from 2,200 Watts ERP to 3,500 Watts
ERP on those channels.  They got them back in the late 60s, early 70s when
receivers were crap and you needed the power to reach those mobiles, no
matter what.  (Gee, the Commission thought a lot of critical infrastructure
back then, what happened??)  Channels were generally "clear" too.  Most are
still operating at about 1,300 Watts ERP using a Mot transmitter running 350
Watts or so to a DB224 antenna.  It is still too damn much power.  We have
two utilities in North Carolina within 300 miles of each other were on the
same channel with less power than this.  They both had a Charlie in a Truck
12, and these two guys got dispatched all over God's green acre.  We have a
client, also in NC, that regularly hears Puerto Rico on this channel, and no
doubt they hear him - 1,300 Watts ERP at 400 feet on high ground!  And on a
25 KHz channel.

These guys are trying to instruct workers when to physically touch
de-energized 115,000 Volt lines once the power transformers have been cut
off remotely.  The LAST thing you want is some guy in the middle of all this
asking dispatch about taking a coffee break from a couple hundred miles
away!!  And this isn't sporadic E or ducting or any enhanced atmospheric
condition, it happens all the time.

Interference?  Oh yes.  And it's amazing how critical infrastructure as an
entity was entirely disabled as a cohesive organization through the Nextel
fiasco.  I think the line I read in many responses was not to "kill a fly
with a hammer".

Todd Ellis

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Richard E. Willimon [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 10:36 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Help from N.E. GA or SC

  Yes,  there is another Ga. station located on a mountain in North Ga. and
we also have the seasonal delight of listening to their transmissions...
This usually lets me know of current band openings on VHF !!! We have also
tried using two antenna instead of the combiner route...and locating the Tx
and Rx antenna on a very large spread to decrease "interference" from
adjacent stations...

  Questions usually arise as to whether or not the numerous agencies
involved should move to 800Mhz. I say sure if you can afford the difference
between 20-40 thousand and 2-3 Million!!!

   Richard E. Willimon

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: [email-masked]
      To: [email-masked]
      Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 2:38 PM
      Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Help from N.E. GA or SC

of stuff. Here in
repeater is being
      > keyed up by Hart County S.O.  When I looked at the map on
ScanAtlanta, I couldn't believe
      > my eyes.  Troup is on the opposite edge of the state from Hart!
Talk about skip!   We've
      > been hearing these guys but I could never hear the name of the
agency.  Well, the other
      > day, loud and clear I heard a DNR calling Hart County. As I
suspected, Hart's repeater
Troup operates a PL tone
please advise what PL
repeater's CTCSS is not
      > always remaining in the "ACTIVE" position. Thanks for any help you
can offer. Best

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT