Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wave Industries Delivers First Bluetooth-Enabled 2.4 GHz Expandable Cordless Data Phone System for the Home

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:10:01 -0500

Wave Industries Delivers First Bluetooth-Enabled 2.4 GHz Expandable Cordless Data Phone
System for the Home
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-01-09

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 9, 2003--

Lets Consumers Simultaneously Talk on the Phone

and Wirelessly Connect to the Internet

With cordless phones now a standard fixture in most American homes -- 76
percent of U.S. households have them(1) -- tech-savvy consumers are
looking ahead to the industry's next innovation. Wave Industries Ltd., today
announces availability of the Olympia-branded CDP-24201, a 2.4 GHz
Bluetooth Cordless Data Phone (CDP) system for the home. The Olympia
2.4 GHz CDP is the first multi-handset, cordless phone to offer
simultaneous voice and data access that lets mobile devices - PDAs,
laptops and mobile phones - connect wirelessly at broadband speeds.

Wave Industries is also introducing a series of Bluetooth peripherals for use
with the CDP system, including the Olympia Bluetooth Headset, an
earpiece that can be used with the CDP or a Bluetooth-enabled mobile
phone to provide the freedom to talk hands-free in the home or car. Also new
is the Olympia Bluetooth USB Wireless Dongle, a USB peripheral used to
create a wireless connection between a computer -- including desktop
systems -- and the CDP phone, and the Olympia Bluetooth Flash Card and
PCMCIA Adaptor, a dual mode device that combines Compact Flash and
PCMCIA interfaces to let users create a wireless connection between a
PDA or a laptop computer and the CDP phone.

The CDP and accessories are being announced today at the Consumer
Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Booth #30213 Las Vegas
Convention Center South 3 & 4. The Olympia CDP-24201 was recognized
by CES, for its innovative design, as an honoree in the Telephones category
of the Innovations 2003 Design and Engineering Showcase.

The Olympia 2.4 GHz CDP lets consumers chat on the phone using a
Bluetooth headset while wirelessly surfing the Internet or accessing email
on a laptop anywhere in the home -- all from a single cordless data phone.
The Bluetooth v1.1 standard allows devices to connect wirelessly from an
average distance of 30 feet. To boost the range, the Olympia CDP uses
Class 1, a high-powered Bluetooth, to let users maintain a connection from
a range of more than 800 feet with a clear line of sight or up to 150 feet in a
home.

Users can expand the phone system with up to seven additional handsets --
all from a single phone line. Since only 28 percent of U.S. online households
connect to the Internet via a broadband connection today, according to a
November, 2002 Gartner Inc./Dataquest Inc. survey, consumers without
broadband access can still gain wireless connectivity via the 56K v.90 data
modem built into the CDP base, rather than needing access to a phone
jack. Furthermore, during the 28-month survey period, the rate of broadband
Internet use in the United States nearly tripled, resulting in a nine percent
average monthly growth rate.

"The CDP extends our family of cordless phones and incorporates the latest
innovations in wireless technology via Bluetooth to serve as gateway for
wireless home networking. Consumers can connect PCs, laptops and cell
phones to the CDP via the phone's base station to gain wireless, broadband
Internet access throughout the home. The CDP lets you simultaneously
access the Internet or email while talking on the phone -- all for the same
price as a standard two-line phone that doesn't include data access," said
Bruce Garfield, chief executive officer, Wave Industries Ltd. "The Olympia
brand represents 100 years of innovation and quality, and the CDP phone
system is another proof point in the company's history."

The Olympia CDP-24201 Phone System

The CDP-24201 is an expandable phone system, loaded with top-of-the-line
calling features users can access from multiple areas of their home or small
home office (SOHO). The feature-packed base station is a two-line phone
complete with an integrated 56K v.90 data modem, a speakerphone, and the
ability to interact with up to seven additional handsets. The phone uses a
2.4 GHz digital spread spectrum to let consumers add additional handsets
to the system without the need for a separate phone line or phone jacks for
each handset. Consumers can also store up to 100 of their most important
numbers in the phone base station for one-touch dialing -- even from the
handset.

Each handset can be used for voice or data. Handsets feature a deluxe,
graphical LCD screen and icon-driven menu for easy navigation, as well as a
speakerphone and a headset socket. Handsets can be personalized for
each individual user with programmable ring tones, the ability to select the
navigation language displayed -- English, German, French or Spanish,
personal phone books with storage for 40 additional numbers in each
handset and storage for 20 numbers in the missed call and redial memory.

The CDP also includes the Olympia Dataphone Manager software, which
provides a convenient way to organize phonebooks and configuration
settings on the handsets and base station. It also lets users synchronize
contacts stored in applications such as Microsoft Outlook with their CDP
phone. New features such as languages and ring tones will be available for
download from the Web site as they become available.

2.4 GHz Digital Spread Spectrum Phones

The Olympia CDP is the newest product in a growing family of
telecommunications products that already includes three 2.4 GHz
multi-handset, cordless phone systems for the home. Models include:

-- Olympia Cordless Phone -- OL2400: a 2.4 GHz single-line phone

priced at $79.95.

-- Olympia Cordless Phone With Digital Answering Machine --

OL2410: a 2.4 GHz single-line phone with built-in answering

machine priced at $99.95.

-- Olympia Cordless Phone -- OL2420: a handset used to expand the

Olympia cordless phone system, priced at $49.95. Add up to

three additional OL2420 units to OL2400 base unit with only a

single phone jack. The additional handsets can also be used to

conference or intercom with others on the system.

Pricing, Availability & System Requirements

The Olympia CDP-24201 and Bluetooth accessories will be available in
February 2003 priced at $199.95 for the base station and handset, and
$79.95 for each additional handset. The Olympia Bluetooth headset is
$129.95, the Olympia Bluetooth USB Wireless Dongle is $79.95 and the
Olympia Bluetooth PCMCIA Card is $99.95. The phone base station comes
with an AC adapter, USB cable and three AAA 700mAh NiMH batteries. For
sales information, call (866) 537-0384 toll free or via the Web at,
www.olympiaphones.com.

About Wave Industries Inc.

Wave Industries Ltd. is the U.S. arm of Olympia International Holdings Ltd.,
a leading developer of business and consumer technologies. Based in
Portland, Oregon, Wave Industries offers innovative, Olympia-branded audio
and telecommunications products. Wave Industries and Olympia
International Holdings are wholly owned subsidiaries of Elite Industrial
Holdings Ltd., based in Hong Kong.

(1) U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Information Administration, 2001

Residential Energy Consumption Survey.

Publication date: 2003-01-09

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35753734&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/