Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 802.11g plagued by interoperability problems

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:34:24 -0500

802.11g plagued by interoperability problems

Emerging Wi-Fi standard 802.11g faces accusations from equipment vendors that it could
cause interoperability
problems with different networks using equipment from different vendors. 802.11g is the
newest Wi-Fi standard
that promises both faster data speeds than 802.11b while offering full compatibility with
the aforementioned
standard. There are currently two concerns about 802.11g bothering vendors. First, 802.11g
users could "knock
off" existing 802.11b users when they enter a crowded 802.11b network. The other risk: all
of the upcoming
802.11g equipment may not work together. The IEEE has yet to codify the standards for
802.11g, but this has not
stopped vendors from preparing 802.11g equipment for release. This chaos could kill
802.11g's adoption,
especially if the standard poses a network usage risk to existing 802.11b subscribers. All
of the dirt on 802.11g's
problems are expected to be released when a report from the University of New Hampshire
Interoperability Lab
releases its results. The results, however, will not be released to the public.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/