Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FAA selects General Dynamics for Next-Generation UHF Air Traffic Control Radios

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:00:04 -0500

FAA selects General Dynamics for Next-Generation UHF Air Traffic Control Radios
 For more information, please contact:
Fran Jacques
General Dynamics Decision Systems Public Affairs
[email-masked]
Pager: 888-274-6418

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jan. 6, 2003 — General Dynamics Decision Systems, a business unit of
General Dynamics, has been awarded a contract by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
to deliver up to 20,000 CM-300 series air traffic control radios over the next 10 years.
The minimum quantity under the contract is 1,000 radios valued at $5.8 million. The FAA
will use the new radios to communicate from enroute air traffic-control centers to
aircraft flying at cruising altitude as part of a modernized communications system for the
National Airspace System. The contract was awarded on Dec. 12, 2002, and has a potential
value of up to $119 million.
In comparison to existing radios, the new CM-300 radios use the radio spectrum more
efficiently and provide improved protection from interference from other radios nearby.
The CM-300 radios are an evolution of General Dynamics’ field-proven CM-200 series of
receivers and transmitters, which are used in other FAA control centers. General Dynamics
has delivered more than 20,000 CM-200 radios to the FAA over the past 10 years.
“The ability of the FAA to install the CM-300 and leave it running continuously for well
beyond 10 years before failure is the driving force behind our designs,” said John Cole, a
vice president and general manager with General Dynamics Decision Systems. “In addition,
the improved reliability of these new systems will help the FAA reduce its maintenance and
life cycle costs.”
General Dynamics Decision Systems, based in Scottsdale, Ariz., is a leader in
technologies, products and systems for information assurance, communication and
situational awareness for defense and industrial customers in the U.S. and abroad. In
addition to the Scottsdale headquarters, General Dynamics Decision Systems has facilities
in Huntsville, Ala., Orlando, Fla., and Columbia, Md., as well as other locations close to
customer centers of operation.
General Dynamics, headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, employs approximately 54,000
people and anticipates 2002 revenues of $14 billion. The company has leading market
positions in land and amphibious combat systems, mission-critical information systems and
technologies, shipbuilding and marine systems, and business aviation. More information
about the company can be found at www.generaldynamics.com.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/