Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Rioplex Wireless Deploying World's Largest Next-Generation Wireless Broadband Network

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:28:08 -0500

Rioplex Wireless Deploying World's Largest Next-Generation Wireless Broadband Network

Navini Networks' Ripwave(TM) Wireless Broadband Available in Lower Rio Grande
Valley

RICHARDSON, Texas and MCALLEN, Texas, Jan. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Navini
Networks, Inc. and Rioplex Wireless, Ltd. today announced plans to deploy the
world's largest non-line-of-sight (NLOS) wireless broadband network to serve
customers in the lower Rio Grande Valley, an area covering much of South
Texas.  The deployment will be the first full coverage broadband service in
the area and will feature cells, NLOS performance over approximately
5,000 square miles.
Rioplex Wireless, Ltd. and systems integrator AnJen Global Broadband
(AnJen) selected Navini's 2.6 GHz MMDS Ripwave system for deployment offering
customers multi-megabit network speeds, a zero-install(TM) plug-and-play
modem, and untethered broadband access anywhere within the coverage area.  The
Rioplex offering will include broadband data services as well as voice-over-
IP.  The always-on system provides uninterrupted broadband access, yet is 50%
less expensive to deploy than current wired solutions such as cable and DSL,
due to its NLOS, zero-install proposition.  AnJen not only recommended the
Navini system, but also is performing the design, integration and support
services involved in building the network for Rioplex.
Rioplex Wireless will be offering high-speed data and voice services to
residential and small-to-medium sized commercial customers in the Rio Grande
Valley of South Texas, in Cameron, Willacy, Starr, and Hidalgo counties.
Rioplex plans to deploy at least 27 Ripwave base stations throughout the area
by the middle of next year, delivering high-speed Internet access to every
county in the Rio Grande Valley from Western Rio Grande City to South Padre
Island.
"Navini's system offers the best ratio of coverage area in our application
to deployment costs," said Othal E. Brand, president and CEO of Rioplex
Wireless.  "Our system requirements were particularly stringent, the system
provided a minimum of 90% indoor coverage of 8 miles, with the majority of the
broadband data speeds of 1.5 Mbps downstream and 768 Kbps upstream.  Navini's
technology, with its combination of range, speed, price and ease of deployment
met -- and in many cases exceeded -- our expectations.
"I have been talking about NLOS technology since 1997 and up until 2001
there were few investors outside the industry that could understand or believe
that this technology was coming," said Roberto H. Gonzalez, VP of Marketing
and co-founder of Rioplex Wireless, Ltd.  "Due to Navini's technology it is a
dream come true for me, when many in the past said it was a pie in the sky,"
Gonzalez added.
"The Rio Grande Valley is ripe for wireless broadband, as there are few
broadband choices for customers there today," stated Alastair Westgarth,
president and CEO of Navini Networks.  "Rioplex sees the value in that
underserved market and is aggressively deploying Navini's wireless broadband
system to capitalize on the incredible demand in the area."

About Navini Networks
Headquartered in Richardson, Texas, the heart of the Telecom Corridor,
Navini Networks offers patented wireless broadband technology that addresses
the world's need and desire for high-speed Internet access.  Navini was
founded by successful Silicon Valley entrepreneur Wu-Fu Chen and industry
expert Dr. Guanghan Xu, and provides nomadic, zero-install, non-line-of-sight
infrastructure to allow for anytime, anywhere Web access.  Navini Networks'
Ripwave(TM) products consist of a customer modem, base station, and element
management system (EMS) and run in the 2.4 GHz ISM and 2.5/2.6 GHz MMDS
spectrums.  Navini's solution results in a price/performance combination that
is superior to other broadband offerings in the marketplace.  To date, Navini
has received $66.5 million in funding from top-tier investors such as Austin
Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Sternhill Partners, and Granite Ventures.  For more
information on Navini, please visit http://www.navini.com .

About Rioplex Wireless
Rioplex Wireless, Ltd. is developing the worlds' largest non-line-of-sight
wireless high speed Internet service.  Rioplex brings cutting edge technology
and world-class professional industry recognition to the Rio Grande Valley.
Utilizing technology that allows for high speed Internet connections without
the need of a telephone line, a cable modem or in the majority of the cases an
outdoor antenna will permit Rioplex to provide these benefits to many
companies and households.  Rioplex Wireless, Ltd. is owned and operated by
long time residents of the Rio Grande Valley.

About AnJen Global Broadband
AnJen Global Broadband is a full service wireless consulting firm
specializing in wireless technologies providing high-speed Internet access and
toll quality voice including PSTN, switched VoIP and digital video.  AnJen is
a turn-key services company providing project management, vendor evaluation,
design, site acquisition, system integration, and construction services, in
addition to business analysis, billing systems, and network operation center
services.  AnJen Global Broadband is privately owned.

SOURCE Navini Networks, Inc.; Rioplex Wireless, Ltd.
Web Site: http://www.navini.com

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-08-2003/0001868113&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/