Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Durability of XTS3000 vs. MT2000 portables:

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:53:42 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "Hodgson, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Durability of XTS3000 vs. MT2000 portables:

Patricia, in the North Carolina State Highway Patrol service we have over
700 XTS3000 Model III 800 MHz portables, ranging in age from mid-1997
through late 1999. We had about fifty radios in late 1998 that had some
front panel issues but since then no major problems. One person maintains
the entire fleet of XTS3000's while a staff of twenty maintains 1800 Syntor
9000/Maratrac/Orion/Midland mobiles and same number HT1000/other portables.
We have 500+ VHF Ht1000 (Jedi) portables that too have provided sterling
service. We do have about 150 MTS2000 800 MHz portables that have given good
service but we have seen some bad rf boards and controller boards in the MTS
series that we have NOT seen in the XTS. Overall for the 700+ XTS3000's we
probably spend $2000K per month on the units. We did purchase the extra two
year warranty but they have all expired now. We have been extremely pleased
with the ruggedness of the XTS3000 and are getting about two to three years
use out of the standard NICAD NTN8294 battery. The units all stay in
vehicular chargers and not desk chargers. In March, 2003 we will have 37
XTS3000's coming up on their six year anniversary and some have never had a
screw turned.

Hope that this helps.

Mike

Michael T. Hodgson
Telecommunications Engineer
NC Highway Patrol
1300 Blue Ridge Road
Raleigh, NC 27607

Phone	919-733-7956
Fax	919-733-7486
Email	[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

	-----Original Message-----
	Gibbons, Patricia [SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:

	For agencies that have adopted the XTS3000 or the MT2000
	portable radios, it would be appreciated if you can comment
	back to me regarding their durability in service. 

	For a variety of reasons, our Agency is looking at replacing
	600 existing SABER I and SABER II hand-held radios with 
	either the XTS3000 or the MT2000..

	Once concern (among two pages of other concerns) is
	frequency of repairs due to the durability (or lack of same)
	of these units .. 

	Any information that can be shared would be of benefit..

	Also comments received by end of business this Wednesday,
	January 29th, would also be helpful, and I'm wrapping up the
	final details on a study ...  

	<mailto:[email-masked]> 

	Thanx .. 

	Trish 

	--
	Patricia E. Gibbons
	Communications Services Manager
	City of San Jose - ITD/communications
	Main shop #: (408)277-5147
	FAX Line  #: (408)277-3374
	voicemail #: (408)277-4082
	ICQ#: 85583908

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/