Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications Subcommittee Chairman Outlines Legislative Priorities

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:25:59 -0500

Communications Subcommittee Chairman Outlines Legislative Priorities

Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.), incoming chairman of the Senate Communications
Subcommittee, on Wednesday introduced the "NextGenTen," the ten top
legislative priorities for the subcommittee of the Senate Commerce Committee.
The NextGenTen include curbing junk e-mail; spectrum reform, promoting a
universal nationwide E911 infrastructure; ICANN (Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers) reform; wireless privacy; online privacy;
establishing a U.S.-Asia Network to ensure that American technology products
can compete on a level playing field; broadband expensing; universal service
reform; and making the legislative process available to citizens via the Internet.

January 15, 2003
NextGenTen: Burns Outlines
Committee's Tech Priorities
By Roy Mark

Sen. Conrad Burns (R.-Mont.),
incoming chairman of the Senate
Communications Subcommittee, said
Wednesday his top priorities for the
108th Congress include bills to require
senders of unsolicited commercial
e-mail (spam) to include easy
"unsubscribe" options, spectrum
reform and mandating 911 as a
universal wireless emergency number.

Other issues on Burns' ambitious
agenda include broadband expensing,
ICANN reform, wireless privacy, online
privacy, universal service reform,
expanded and improved e-gov efforts
and promoting free trade between the
U.S. and Asia.

Burns, who is promoting the items as
the "NextGenTen," aims to
immediately tackle his top three
issues of spam, spectrum and E-911.
In the spring, items scheduled for
committee review will include ICANN
reform and wireless and online privacy
while Burns promises summer hearings
on broadband expensing, universal
service reform and a U.S.-Asia trade
network. The last item, expanding
e-gov services, is scheduled for the
fall.

"We are in an age where the Internet
and telecom industries are at a
crossroads," said Burns. "In this era of
consolidation, terrorism, and rapid
technological innovation, I intend to
use this chairmanship of the Senate
Communications Subcommittee to
provide greater security and to
shepherd much-needed reform for
consumers."

Burns added, "This is a robust agenda, but also very realistic. We are already well
underway in building a consensus within Committee that will lead to swift passage of
many of these priorities. I am confident America will see the Spam bill leave the Senate
before the summer."

In his Wednesday press conference, Burns outlined his priorities:

Spam. Burns said he would re-introduce in the Senate very shortly the Burns-Wyden
Can-Spam bill, which passed unanimously out of the Senate Commerce Committee last
May but didn't reach a floor vote. The bill requires senders of spam to make it easier for

consumers to "opt-out" and imposes harsh penalties on spammers who falsify information
to mask the origins of the sender.

Spectrum Reform. The senator said he is committed to moving away from the "failed
current auction model, which has resulted in numerous bankruptcies at companies and
failed promises for consumers." Burns will examine "potentially revolutionary ideas," such

as using a royalty based approach. He said will work on a draft bill as soon as the second

half of the GAO report is released at the end of this month dealing with the experiences
of other countries.

"Spectrum reform is long-overdue and I am eager to devote the initial months of my
chairmanship to the issue. In Europe we have witnessed how the system failed
consumers, and we must avoid implementing a similarly exploitative process in the United
States," said Burns.

E-911. Burns plans to work with the co-chair of the E-911 Caucus, Sen. Hillary Clinton
(D.-N.Y.), to promote a universal, nationwide public safety communications
infrastructure. The kickoff of the E-911 Caucus is scheduled for Feb. 24.

ICANN Reform. According to Burns, the issue "demands immediate oversight." He said
the "lack of accountability" of ICANN "poses serious problems for American national
security," citing the recent denial of service attack on nine of the 13 Internet root
servers in October. Also in Burns' target is whether the Commerce Department was within
its rights to grant such a huge responsibility to ICANN in the first place.

Wireless Privacy. Burns plans legislation to ban scanners being used to eavesdrop and
record conversations without a users' permission.

Online Privacy. The author of the first-ever comprehensive online privacy bill, Burns will

continue to support strong protections for consumers in the digital environment. He plans
to support the online privacy bill that passed out of the Commerce Committee last year
that adopts a "two-tiered" approach, requiring an opt-in consent for sensitive information

and opt-out for everything else. The bill also preempts inconsistent state laws or
regulations.

U.S.-Asia Network. The focus of the U.S.-Asia Network will be to make sure that
American technology products can compete on a level playing field in foreign markets.
Support will go to a Technology Neutrality Initiative, which will address the problem of
national government favoritism for domestic technologies.

A multi-lateral process will eliminate government policies that impair international
commerce and reduce consumer choice. Elimination of national government favoritism for
domestic technologies will promote mutual economic growth, increase trade and
investment, and expand consumer choice in the Asia-Pacific region.

Broadband Expensing. Burns' broadband bill creates a temporary tax incentive for
providers in the form of "expensing," allowing an immediate deduction of a capital
expenditure in the first year of service rather than depreciating that investment over
time. In the case of "current generation" broadband investments in rural and underserved
areas, the bill would allow 50 percent expensing of the investment, with the rest to be
depreciated according to normal depreciation schedules. When providers build out "next
generation" broadband networks, which are typically more expensive, the bill would
provide for 100 percent expensing.

Universal Service Reform. Burns said he will continue to firmly support a solvent and
stable Universal Service Fund that sustains consumers in rural America through the
availability of high-quality and affordable telecommunications service."

Digital Democracy. Burns plans provide for a coordinated effort to make the legislative
process available to citizens over the Internet through cybercasts and online documents.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/1570221

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/