Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TOM SUGRUE TO LEAVE FCC, JOHN MULETA TO BE NAMED BUREAU CHIEF

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:02:30 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 23, 2003

POWELL ANNOUNCES CHANGES IN
WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU;
TOM SUGRUE TO LEAVE FCC, JOHN MULETA TO BE NAMED BUREAU CHIEF

Washington, DC - FCC Chairman Michael Powell today announced that
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Chief Tom Sugrue will be
leaving the Commission this spring and that he intends to name
John Muleta as the new WTB Chief effective in early February.

Powell said, "It is with deep regret that I announce that Tom
Sugrue has decided to move on from his duties as Chief of the
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau.  Tom has made invaluable
contributions to the Commission during the past four years as
Bureau Chief.  He has played an integral role in crafting the
Commission's positions on spectrum policy and numerous other
complex issues involved in wireless telecommunications at a
critical juncture in the development of these services.  His
leadership has been instrumental in moving the bureau forward in
many ways that benefit the Commission, the industry, and the
American public.  Tom has served longer in this position than any
previous WTB Chief, and we will greatly miss him."

Powell said, "To take over this vital bureau chief position, I am
turning to industry veteran and former FCC official, John Muleta,
who will bring extensive experience  and leadership to the
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Commission at a critical
time."

Muleta is currently the President and CEO of Source 1 Technologies
LLC, a privately held systems integration firm based in
Washington, D.C. He is also a cofounder of OI Systems Inc., a
Washington-based managing consulting firm.  Muleta previously
served at the FCC from 1994-1998 where he held various positions
in the Common Carrier Bureau and the Office of Plans and Policy,
including Deputy Bureau Chief in the Common Carrier Bureau and
Chief of the Enforcement Division of that bureau.  After leaving
the FCC, Muleta worked at PSINet, Inc. from 1998-2000 where he
held the position of President for PSINet Ventures Inc. and, prior
to that, was President of PSINet's Global Facilities Division and
President of its India, Middle East and Africa Division.  He began
his career at GTE Corporation and later worked at Coopers &
Lybrand Consulting, LLC, before joining the Commission in 1994.

Muleta received his BS in Systems Engineering at the University of
Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Sciences in 1986 and
his MBA and JD from the University of Virginia Joint Degree
Program in 1993, where he received the Shermet Scholar Award for
outstanding scholarship.

Sugrue was appointed Chief of the Wireless Telecommunications
Bureau in December 1998.  He had been in private practice with the
firm of Halprin, Temple, Goodman & Sugrue.  Prior to that, he had
served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce at the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration, Department of
Commerce and served for six years in the FCC's Common Carrier
Bureau, including four years as Chief of that bureau's Policy and
Program Planning Division. He served as law clerk to Justice Paul
Reardon in the Supreme Court of Massachusetts. He earned a J.D.,
magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School, a Masters in Public
Policy from the Kennedy School of Harvard University and a B.S. in
physics, magna cum laude, from Boston College.

- FCC -

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-230510A1.doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/