Subject: [NEXTEL-1] T-Mobile Details Priority Access Deal

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:23:04 -0500

T-Mobile Details Priority Access Deal
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
JANUARY 21, 2003

T-Mobile USA is outlining details of its new wireless priority service contract with the
government, indicating it has launched WPS in 15 markets east of the Mississippi
and will be launching further markets nationally in coming months.

Since May 2002, T-Mobile has been providing WPS capabilities in the Washington,
D.C., and New York City metro areas, giving public safety and national security
agencies priority access to wireless network capacity during emergencies.

T-Mobile says the National Communications System awarded it a nationwide WPS
contract, through the carrier's system integrator DynCorp.

Brenton C. Greene, deputy manager of the National Communications System,
says the agency hopes to have a full roster of major wireless carriers providing
full, nationwide WPS operating capacity by the end of this year.

Markets already up and running under T-Mobile include metro areas surrounding
Atlanta; Birmingham and Mobile, Ala.; Boston; Jacksonville and Miami, Fla.;
Louisville, Ky.; Memphis and Nashville, Tenn.; New Orleans; Norfolk and
Richmond, Va., and Philadelphia.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=01/21/03

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:41:27 -0500

This is a wakeup call for those who use or rely upon their wireless phone
service in the performance of emergency services, disaster mitigation, or
critical logistics support.  Unless you are one of the relatively few
upper level officials who qualify for wireless Priority Access Service
(PAS) through your state's PAS administrator, you may want to consider
whether you should be doing business with any wireless carrier who will
be providing PAS.

The sad irony is that, this, the very concept intended to promote
disaster communications, will likely prove to disrupt your own urgent
communications.  Additionally, always own or have access to alternative
primary or backup wireless service apart from CMRS networks.  Your state,
municipal, or agency dedicated two-way or SMR radio system should be
ready and operational.  Volunteer personnel should likewise be licensed
for and own or subscribe to GMRS or amateur repeater networks and/or
served agency dedicated dispatch radio systems.  Another alternative is
to subscribe to a non-wireline commercial community repeater or SMR
system.

Never rely entirely upon any commercial wireless telephone system for
critical or emergency services provision.  These consumer-grade
communications tools may not stand up to certain extraordinary demands of
public service professionals (absolutely including skilled, dedicated
volunteers) under widespread exigent conditions.

Alan Dixon
Contributing Editor
Popular Communications
Retired Senior Telecommunications Engineer
~20-Year Public Safety Veteran Officer

[Please copy all replies to: [email-masked] <n3hoe[a]juno.com>]

--------- Original Message ----------
From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>,
<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:23:04 -0500
Subject: T-Mobile Details Priority Access Deal

T-Mobile USA is outlining details of its new wireless priority service
contract with the
government, indicating it has launched WPS in 15 markets east of the
Mississippi
and will be launching further markets nationally in coming months.

Since May 2002, T-Mobile has been providing WPS capabilities in the
Washington,
D.C., and New York City metro areas, giving public safety and national
security
agencies priority access to wireless network capacity during emergencies.

T-Mobile says the National Communications System awarded it a nationwide
WPS
contract, through the carrier's system integrator DynCorp.

Brenton C. Greene, deputy manager of the National Communications System,
says the agency hopes to have a full roster of major wireless carriers
providing
full, nationwide WPS operating capacity by the end of this year.

Markets already up and running under T-Mobile include metro areas
surrounding
Atlanta; Birmingham and Mobile, Ala.; Boston; Jacksonville and Miami,
Fla.;
Louisville, Ky.; Memphis and Nashville, Tenn.; New Orleans; Norfolk and
Richmond, Va., and Philadelphia.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pub
date=01/21/03

--