Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel calls on actors for new ads

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:07:48 -0500

THE PITCH Nextel calls on actors for new ads

By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff, 1/10/2003

Mullen of Wenham is breaking new ads for its biggest client,
Nextel Communications Inc., even as Nextel considers the
possibility of hiring a new ad agency.

The ads feature a diverse crop of celebrities. Gone is Dennis
Franz, star of ''NYPD Blue.'' In his place are Kristin Davis of
''Sex and the City,'' George Lopez of '' George Lopez,'' movie
star Rob Lowe, and Eric McCormack of ''Will & Grace.''

The ads focus on what Virginia-based Nextel sees as its key
difference. Unlike other wireless products, its cellphone has a
walkie-talkie feature. Subscribers can already use this feature
within large regional markets. Soon they'll be able to use it from
coast to coast.

With humor, the ads seek to demonstrate why this feature gives
Nextel subscribers an edge. The edge is this: When it's crunch
time and they can't immediately reach a business associate or a
loved one by cellphone, the walkie-talkie gives them a second
option that can save the day.

Nextel said its decision to ''evaluate'' its marketing strategies
is not a negative commentary on Mullen. During their seven-year
relationship, Nextel's annual revenues have exploded, from about
$333 million in 1996 to about $7.7 billion in 2001. During that
time, Nextel introduced products aimed at different customer
segments.

In that context, it made sense to hire a consultant to evaluate
its communications strategies, said Nextel vice president of
marketing Mark Schweitzer. A decision on the evaluation is
imminent. One possible outcome is to have an ad agency review and
hear pitches from other agencies.

''At this point, we couldn't say whether there will be review or
not,'' he said. ''If there was a review, we'd be anxious that
Mullen participate. We're very pleased with the work from
Mullen.''

According to Mullen chief creative officer Edward Boches, Mullen's
work is different from ads for other cellphone brands. Those ads
tend to fall into two categories. Either they're ''warm and
fuzzy'' and show emotional family moments or they focus on price,
he said. Nextel ads look to stand out from the clutter partly by
using celebrities in an unconventional way.

''Consumers love to see celebrities in advertising,'' Boches said.
''They just don't want to see them standing up and shilling a
product.'' So the new spots are scripted to show celebrities
playing themselves, ''even to the extent of showing them in
moments of embarrassment,'' he said.

The ads are shot in a split-screen format, partly to grab
attention and partly to show two story lines. In story A, the
celebrity has only a cellphone, and comical mishaps ensue. In
story B, the celebrity has a Nextel phone, and, thanks to its
walkie-talkie, all ends well.

In one spot, Lopez's daughter has borrowed his car, which he needs
to get to a business lunch. But when he calls her cellphone, he
gets voicemail. In story line A, he's out of luck and has to drive
her pink Volkswagen. The VW's ''boycrazy'' license plate subjects
him to the derision of other motorists. In story B, he and his
daughter quickly connect via walkie-talkie. His car is returned,
and he drives to lunch in a dignified manner.

A voice-over says: ''Life's good when you're George Lopez, but
life's better when you're George Lopez and you have the cellphone
with the walkie-talkie.''

The ads need to be unconventional because Nextel is heavily
outspent by rivals. Advertising Age recently measured Nextel's
expenditures on US ad spending at $103 million for the first half
of 2002. AT&T and Verizon each spent more than $500 million during
that period. The comparison isn't apples-to-apples because rivals
offer a variety of services, while Nextel focuses on wireless.

Viewers are unlikely to see the new Nextel ads on '' George Lopez
'' or ''Sex and the City.'' Nextel's target customer is most
likely to watch sports and business-news programs, and it's on
those kinds of shows that the ads will mostly air.

Chris Reidy can be reached at [email-masked].

This story ran on page C3 of the Boston Globe on 1/10/2003

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/010/business/Nextel_calls_on_actors_for_new_ads+.shtml

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/