Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FLEXIBILITY GRANTED FOR MOBILE SATELLITE SERVICES

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:37:39 -0500

Federal Communications Commission

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 30, 2003

FLEXIBILITY GRANTED FOR MOBILE SATELLITE SERVICES

Washington, D.C.

The Commission has decided to permit certain mobile satellite services (MSS) providers in
three frequency bands to provide an ancillary terrestrial component (ATC) to their
satellite systems.  This new approach permits MSS licensees to integrate ancillary
terrestrial components into their MSS networks. Specifically, it allows MSS operators to
seek authority to integrate ATC into their networks for the purpose of enhancing their
ability to offer high-quality, affordable mobile services on land, in the air and over
oceans without using any additional spectrum resources beyond spectrum already allocated
and authorized by the Commission for MSS in these bands. 

The Commission’s Order is the culmination of a complex proceeding involving a Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking and petitions by outside parties in which the Commission sought and
received comment on various alternatives regarding terrestrial and satellite use of MSS
spectrum.  The decision covers three spectrum bands:  2GHz, Big LEO and L-band.      

The Commission concluded that technically it would be more efficient, feasible and
practical to permit MSS licensees to include a terrestrial component in their satellite
systems to serve  consumers, than to award terrestrial rights in the band to third
parties.  Its decision balances the traditional goals of effective and efficient use of
spectrum with preserving the optimal amount of spectrum for the provision of international
satellite services.  The Commission found that granting shared usage of the same MSS
frequency band to separate MSS and terrestrial operators would likely compromise the
effectiveness of both systems.  The Commission found that permitting MSS ATC in the manner
prescribed in the Order should:  (1) increase the efficiency of spectrum use through MSS
network integration and terrestrial reuse and permit better coverage in areas that MSS
providers could not otherwise serve; (2) provide additional communications that may
enhance public protection; and (3) provide new services in the markets served by MSS. 
Thus, it concluded that making ATC available to licensed MSS operators better serves the
public interest than the more limited and technically difficult prospect of attempting to
share the MSS spectrum and that grant of ATC, therefore, appears to best balance competing
public interest goals.   

The Commission’s authorization of ATC for these MSS bands is subject to conditions that
ensure the integrity of the underlying MSS offering and that these services will not
become a stand-alone terrestrial service.  Specifically, to include ATC in their satellite
systems, the MSS operators must:

· launch and operate their own satellite facilities; 
· provide substantial satellite service to the public;
· demonstrate compliance with geographic and temporal satellite coverage requirements; 
· demonstrate that the satellite system’s ATC will operate only within the licensee’s
“core” MSS spectrum; 
· limit ATC operations only to the satellite system’s authorized footprint;
· require that satellite licensees provide an integrated MSS and ATC service; for example
by making an affirmative showing that the MSS licenses uses a dual mode handset to provide
the proposed ATC service;
· not offer a terrestrial only service to consumers; 
· obtain handset certification for MSS ATC devices under the equipment authorization
process contained in Part 2 of the Commission’s rules.

No ATC operations would be permitted until an MSS licensee filed an application with the
FCC demonstrating compliance with these requirements.  Once the FCC grants an application,
terrestrial operations may commence.  These requirements are designed to ensure that MSS
operators whose systems include a terrestrial component will continue to provide a
substantially satellite service and that the terrestrial component is offered only on an
ancillary basis.  

The Commission also has adopted technical rules to mitigate the possibility of
interference.  In the 2 GHz band, the Commission adopted stringent out of band emissions
limitations to protect against the possibility of interference to adjacent services
including PCS.  In the L-band, the Commission limited the number of base stations that
could be deployed and a phase-in period of 18 months before the maximum number of stations
could be deployed to protect against the possibility of interference to Inmarsat. 

In the Big LEO band, the Commission adopted an Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking
comment on redistributing spectrum in the Big LEO band between two Big LEO licensees,
Iridium and Globalstar.  To expedite the decision-making process the Commission adopted a
short comment cycle, requiring comments to be filed within 30 days of publication in the
Federal Register and reply comments to be filed within 15 days thereafter.  The Commission
tentatively concluded that a rebalancing of the Big LEO band plan will serve the public
interest and stated its intention to proceed expeditiously.  The Commission noted that it
may be necessary and in the public interest to condition a grant of ATC authority that
would preserve a full range of options concerning the Big LEO band plan and that would
permit grant to Iridium of interim access to additional spectrum pending resolution of the
further notice. 

Action by the Commission January 29, 2003, by Report and Order and Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking (FCC 03-15).  Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Martin and Adelstein
with Commissioner Copps approving in part, dissenting in part and Chairman Powell,
Commissioners Abernathy, Copps and Adelstein issuing statements.

- FCC -

Contacts:  Robin Pence, 
Office of Media Relations (202-418-0505, 
[email-masked]); 

James Ball, International Bureau (202-418-0427, 
[email-masked]).
  
IB Docket No. 01-185; 02-364.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-230757A1.doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/