Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL MESS NOW UNTANGLED-The Miami Herald | 01/05/2003 | Action Line-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:58:33 -0500

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/columnists/action_line/4876511.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Click here to visit other RealCities sites

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=ribbon&pos=h1&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=banner&pos=top&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

Help Contact Us Site Index Archives Place an Ad Newspaper Subscriptions News by Email

Search

Search the Archives

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=button&pos=left1&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

News

Miami-Dade

Broward

Florida Keys

Florida

Nation

Americas

World

Obituaries

Politics

Education

Action Line

Lottery

Weird News

Photo Gallery

MAIN SECTIONS

»

News

»

Weather

»

Sports

»

Business

»

Arts & Entertainment

»

Living

»

Home

»

Health

»

Travel

»

Politics

»

Education

»

Opinion

»

Columnists

»

Broward

»

Corrections

»

Classifieds

Our Site Tools

Weather

Miami

60

41

Ft. Lauderdale

62

40

Local Events

Yellow Pages

Discussion Boards

Maps & Directions

Back to Home >
News >

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003

Action Line

Posted on Sun, Jan. 05, 2003

Action Line

NEXTEL MESS NOW UNTANGLED

Q. When Nextel, my cellphone service provider, called me in August offering to update my phone to a better model, I accepted and upgraded my wife's phone, too.

Not only did Nextel send me the wrong phones, I also found out that by accepting the upgrade, I was renewing my contract with Nextel for another two years.

So I decided to cancel the contract and return the unused phones.

Nextel promised to send return labels for the phones.

Instead, it sent me two more phones.

I've spent hours on the phone with Nextel trying to get this sorted out. It keeps promising to send the return labels. It never has, and it continues to send me bills. The latest one says that I owe $1,800.

I need your help.

Andy Langesfeld,

Miami

A. You got it. All the phones have been returned and the credits have been applied to your bill. You also got a ''courtesy credit'' of one month of free service.

We called Nextel. It should be an easy fix, we were told. It would send you an authorization to return the phones.

Then Nextel called you to say that it was authorizing the return of two phones -- instead of four phones.

That's when you realized that Nextel had sent you five -- not four -- phones.

We told Nextel. It investigated and agreed that, yes, you did have five phones. It then sent you authorizations for sending three boxes via FedEx back to Nextel.

We asked you to bring all five phones to The Herald. We looked at each one -- they were all in individual boxes, unused and the batteries were wrapped separately. We found three boxes for them and FedExed them from The Herald to Nextel.

Once they had been received and credited to your account, you went over your bill with a Nextel representative. You were satisfied that everything was now correct, and paid what was still owed.

AIRLINE SCREENINGS: WHAT CAN I PACK?

Q. I can't find answers to some of my questions on new airline screenings on the FAA website.

We're told to put shoes on the top of the things in the suitcase.

But my suitcase has two compartments, if the shoes are on top of one section, they'll be in the middle of the bag. Where do I put them?

We're told not to put food in suitcases, especially dense food like cheese.

I usually take several boxes of granola bars with me, and they're too much for my carry-on bag. Can I pack my granola bars?

We're told not to lock our suitcases. They say there's a method to deal with possible theft. What is it?

L.S.,

Coral Gables

A. The same thing that happens to most people who are caught stealing.

As far as your shoes are concerned, packing them on top is suggested, not mandatory.

If your bag is opened and your shoes are on the bottom, they will probably be taken out and examined. If they are on top, it makes the process easier.

It is not prohibited to pack food items in your luggage. The Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) simply recommends that you not pack them in checked baggage.

A TSA spokesman in Washington says some food products show false positives for dangerous items when scanned. If this happens, your bag will be opened. It will save time for you, and everyone, if you just carry on your food items.

There's also no prohibition on locking bags. But if it is necessary to open your bag, the lock will be cut off.

The TSA website explains that the agency soon will provide seals at the airport to secure bags. In the meantime, it suggests using cable ties.

If your bag is opened, a security tag will be placed on it and a notice stating it was opened and inspected will be placed in the bag as well.

For more information, visit the Transportation Safety Administration website, www.tsa.dot.gov, or call the TSA Consumer Response Center at 866-289-9673.

CONSUMER ALERT

HOW TO SOLVE TELEPHONE TROUBLES

Action Line knows you're having telephone problems. We hear from a lot of you who aren't happy with the service or the way you're treated. You need to let the folks in charge of regulating these companies know what you're experiencing.

• Complaints about your local telephone company or in-state issues should be directed to: Florida Public Service Commission, 2540 Shumard Oak Blvd., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0850; call 800-342-3552; or visit the website at www.psc.state.fl.us/ and click on ``File your utility complaint online.''

• Complaints about long-distance service should be made to: Federal Communications Commission, Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau, Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division, 445 12th St. SW, Washington, DC 20554; e-mail fccinfo@fccgov; via the website at www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html; by calling 888-CALL-FCC (888-225-5322), or via TTY 888-TELL-FCC (888-835-5322).

The FCC does not regulate contractual arrangements with cellular providers, but it does handle complaints about wireless service.

Complaint letters should include:

• Your name, address and the telephone number or numbers involved with your complaint.

• A telephone number where you can be reached during the business day.

• Specific information about your complaint, including the names of all of the companies that are involved with your complaint.

• Names and telephone numbers of the company representatives whom you contacted, the dates that you spoke with these representatives, and any other information that would help process your complaint.

• A copy of the bill(s) listing the disputed charges.

• The type of resolution you are seeking.

FLORIDA FACT

A TALE OF TWO CAPITALS

Ever wonder why the capital is way up at the top of the state instead of someplace more centrally located -- say, Orlando?

In 1821, when the United States acquired Florida from Spain, the provincial capitals were St. Augustine for East Florida and Pensacola for West Florida.

The southern peninsula was wilderness.

Tallahassee, approximately midway between Pensacola and St. Augustine, was chosen in 1823 to become the consolidated seat of government for the new Territory of Florida.

email this |

print this

Shopping & Services

Find a Job

Find a Car

Find a Home

Find an Apartment

Classifieds Ads

Shop Nearby

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=button&pos=right1&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=tower&pos=right2&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=button&pos=right3&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=button&pos=right4&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>

Help | Contact Us | Site Index | Archives | Place an Ad | Newspaper Subscriptions | News by Email

About Herald.com | About Realcities Network | Terms of Use | Press Center | Copyright

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krsouth&proptype=krd_vertical&webprop=miami&product=mld&subproduct=miamiherald&size=sponsor&pos=popup&c1=news&c2=columnists&c3=action_line&c4=none>
</SCRIPT>