Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Interference from Strobe Light

From: Bill McLain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:02:47 -0600

Klaus,
 
There are several in group that have experienced this kind of problem.  Some
fixes have worked while others haven't.   I am still having the same problem
after nearly 2 years of tries..  Tell us the specifics --make of strobes,
and any other details
 
bill
-----Original Message-----
From: Bender, Klaus [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 1:41 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Interference from Strobe Light

We have a client who is claiming that they are getting interference from a
strobe light on a tower. The strobe is used for FAA and flashes red. Has
anyone had any experience with this?
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Klaus Bender - Spectrum Management & RF Engineering
V:  (703) 558-2204 F: (703) 276-1169 M: (703) 887-1474
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor	

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243066.2826855.4185932.1927555/D=egroupweb/S=17073678
02:HM/A=1377501/R=0/*http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=b3089011320061
6000> 	
 
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243066.2826855.4185932.1927555/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1377501/rand=828655536> 	

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:15:33 -0500

Other important variables:

Proximity of the strobe light itself to the antenna(s) in question,
Is the strobe logic at the strobe or at the base of the tower,
If a logic cable (not just power) is run to the top, is it grounded,
Is the tower itself grounded well (per EIA-222-F),
Are the antennas grounded nearby,
What is the age of the tower, the strobe, and the antennas,
What band are the antennas operating on,
Are the feedlines grounded as per EIA-222-F and R56 (roughly top, bottom,
every 100 feet),
etc.

This happens, not the first time we've seen it.  The resolution can be
daunting from time to time.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Bill McLain [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 3:03 PM
  To: [email-masked]'
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Interference from Strobe Light

  Klaus,

  There are several in group that have experienced this kind of problem.
Some fixes have worked while others haven't.   I am still having the same
problem after nearly 2 years of tries..  Tell us the specifics --make of
strobes, and any other details

  bill
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Bender, Klaus [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 1:41 PM
    To: [email-masked]'
    Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Interference from Strobe Light

    We have a client who is claiming that they are getting interference from
a strobe light on a tower. The strobe is used for FAA and flashes red. Has
anyone had any experience with this?

    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "Bill Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:32:32 -0500

I forgot to mention that the kit from Honeywell for our Flashguard has a
piece of flexible metallic conduit that is placed over the last 20+ feet of
cable to the strobehead and is grounded to the cage for additional
shielding. They also include a capacitor to increase daytime brightness to
offset loss through the mesh of the cage.  I measured more than a 20 dB
improvement in the interference after installation.