Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ubicom's New Repeater

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:21:52 -0500

Ubicom's New Repeater Functionality Will Enable Industry's First
Purely Wireless, Stand-Alone Repeaters
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-01-09

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 9, 2003--

WDS Functionality on Low-Cost, Stand-Alone Repeater Access Points

Will Enable the Broad Deployment of Wireless Networks

Ubicom(TM), Inc., a leading provider of wireless network processor and
software platforms for wireless networks and device connectivity, today
announced that it has added support for repeater functionality to its platform
and is working with large OEMs and ODMs to deliver the world's first
wireless, stand-alone repeater access points. The new functionality is
expected to reduce the cost of deploying a network by several orders of
magnitude. The technology is being demonstrated in a static display hosted
by the Wi-Fi Alliance, and a live display in a private meeting room, at the
Consumer Electronics Show (CES)(1). The show opens today in Las Vegas,
Nev.

Working closely with Agere, a leading provider of 802.11 chips, cards, and
modules, Ubicom has added support for the Wireless Distribution System
(WDS) to its IP2022 wireless network processor and software platform.
WDS functionality wirelessly extends the transmission distance of a signal,
bridging wireless clients to a main access point. As a result, users can
expand the coverage of their wireless network without having to pull costly
wiring, which can total as much as $1,000 per node. While some wireless
suppliers offer WDS support today, it is only available as an integrated
feature on expensive access points. Ubicom's platform delivers the
performance and reliability needed to enable the development of purely
wireless, stand-alone repeater access points, at less than half the cost of
competitive solutions. As a result, Ubicom is driving down the cost of
deploying a wireless LAN (WLAN), allowing a variety of applications such as
hotspots, airport and hotel networks, and networks within small and
mid-sized businesses (SMBs) to finally deliver widespread wireless network
connectivity.

"In order for WLANs to become pervasive, the industry needs solutions that
can extend wireless coverage at a reasonable cost," said Bulent Celebi,
president and CEO of Ubicom. "In cases where customers simply want to
extend the reach of the network, full-featured, high-end access points aren't
necessary. Stand-alone repeaters enable cost-effective anytime, anywhere
network access so that communications can finally become ubiquitous and
transparent."

High Performance, Reliable Repeater Capabilities

WDS support for the Ubicom(TM) IP2022 microprocessor and software
platform allows a repeater access point to act as a wireless bridge between
a main access point and multiple wireless clients. Ubicom's technology
allows users to specify up to six high-performance wireless links.
Benchmark tests show that repeater access points designed using
Ubicom's platform consistently outperform solutions from some of the
industry's leading wireless access point providers. For instance, TCP/IP
throughput is 1.40 Mbps between a client and an access point going over
two Ubicom repeaters (3 hops), compared to 1.33 Mbps for two access
points from another leading provider. The solution is compatible with
chipsets from Agere.

Stand-alone repeater solutions can also be implemented without the need
for wired blocks, such as Ethernet, reducing form factor and cost.
Technological breakthroughs from Ubicom ensure that this purely wireless
solution can be quickly and reliably upgraded. In addition, existing Ubicom
customers can add this capability to their access points with a simple
firmware upgrade.

About Ubicom's Platform

Ubicom's platform consists of a wireless network processor, called the
IP2022, and a custom operating system, specialized instruction set, and
networking stack software modules. The IP2022 employs a deterministic,
memory-to-memory architecture that processes packets directly in memory,
reducing instructions and memory size. All communications and control
functions are implemented in software. This unique Software SOC(TM)
methodology allows the processor to be programmed and reprogrammed to
support virtually any networking protocol. Ubicom's networking software also
offers OEMs a more than 20x reduction in memory size versus traditional
networking software, minimizing the need for costly external memory. The
result is an optimized platform that offers up to five times higher throughput,
at less than half the cost, using one-third the power in one-tenth the footprint
of competing technologies.

This total solution achieves a new level of design simplicity that not only
results in a lower-cost solution, but also increases overall system reliability
while accelerating the manufacturing process, since fewer components are
used than traditional designs. As a result, Ubicom's approach can
dramatically reduce product development time -- from one year to less than
12 weeks.

Pricing and Availability

WDS functionality has been added to Ubicom's IP2022 Advanced Wireless
Kit. Existing customers can upgrade to the new kit for no additional charge.
New customers can purchase the kit now for $9,995. Please visit Ubicom's
Web site at http://www.ubicom.com for more information about purchase
and upgrade options.

About Ubicom, Inc.

Ubicom, Inc. is making ubiquitous communications a reality, through
wireless network processor and software platforms that enable all electronic
devices to be connected to each other - securely, cost-effectively and
transparently. With headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., Ubicom also has
offices in Oregon, as well as the United Kingdom, Belgium, Taiwan and
Hong Kong. For more information, visit www.ubicom.com.

Note to Editors: Ubicom and Software SOC are trademarks of Ubicom, Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.

(1) A static technology display will take place in meeting room #34316, CES
Meeting Place, South Hall 4, Las Vegas Convention Center.

Publication date: 2003-01-09

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35753741&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/