Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fairfax County Police Look to Metrocall Wireless to Improve Communications of Patrol Force

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 05:45:43 -0500

Fairfax County Police Look to Metrocall Wireless to Improve Communications of Patrol Force

Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-01-07

ALEXANDRIA, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 7, 2003--Metrocall Wireless,
Inc. (OTCBB:MTOHV), one of the nation's leading providers of wireless
messaging and data services, today announced that the Fairfax County,
VA, Police Department has ordered more than 600 additional alphanumeric
wireless devices for its patrol and administrative force.

This latest order was budgeted in an effort improve the efficiency of
communications amongst its widespread community policing force.

Together with previous Metrocall Wireless devices already in service, the
entire department, representing more than 1,400 law enforcement
professionals, will be connected via Metrocall Wireless services. During the
recent sniper shootings in the Washington, D.C. region, many of these
Metrocall Wireless devices were used by Fairfax County Police to alert and
mobilize the county's special units.

"As corporate citizens of this region, Metrocall Wireless is proud of its
long-standing relationship with the Fairfax County Police Department," said
Metrocall Wireless Chairman and CEO William L. Collins III. "The men and
women of the department do an outstanding job of providing security and
peace-of-mind to this community, and we look forward to supporting the
department's operations for many years to come with our wireless products
and services."

Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, Metrocall Wireless'
messaging capabilities were widely acclaimed by the emergency services
community as a flexible and reliable mode of communications. In the
aftermath of the attacks, landline and mobile phone communications were
overwhelmed and/or were rendered inoperable.

Wireless messaging devices performed reliably however, providing important
communications support to healthcare, search and rescue, as well as
security personnel responding to the events in New York City, NY and
Arlington, VA. As a result of the 9/11 events, many such government
agencies have enhanced their communications capabilities with messaging
services such as those provided by Metrocall Wireless.

The majority of the messaging services provided to the Fairfax County
Police are one-way word devices, which can receive messages via e-mail or
from other two-way messaging units. Large, segmented groups can also be
alerted quickly and discretely, which makes the wireless network a valuable
tool to police departments.

About Metrocall Wireless, Inc.

Metrocall Wireless, headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, is one of the
largest narrowband wireless data and messaging companies in the United
States, providing both products and services to approximately four million
business and individual subscribers. Metrocall Wireless was founded in
1965.

The company currently offers two-way interactive messaging, wireless
e-mail and Internet connectivity, cellular and digital PCS phones, as well as
one-way messaging services. Metrocall Wireless operates on multiple
nationwide, regional and local networks. Also, Metrocall Wireless offers
integrated resource management systems and communications solutions
for business and campus environments.

For more information on Metrocall Wireless please visit our Web site and
on-line store at www.Metrocall.com or call 800-800-2337.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35697638&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/