Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Jan. 21, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:55:47 -0500

The Tennessee Highway Patrol has disciplined three dispatchers who were involved in the
handling of that incident on New Year's Day which ended with officers shooting and killing
a family's dog during a high-risk traffic stop--you may recall seeing the in-car video of
the stop. All three dispatchers were required to attend crisis management training
(whatever that is), and one dispatcher was given a written reprimand. THP officials did
not comment on the actions, but documents they released showed some discrepancies between
information reported by a witness, and that provided by radio to troopers.

--------------------------
Odd press release from consultants Robbins-Gioia, LLC, who bragged that they provided "pro
bono" consulting services to the NYPD for, among other things, the selection of a
third-party program manager for the department's CAD project. The company said they,
"helped the NYPD set up interview parameters for the independent CAD program manager," and
developed a process to gauge candidates' technical and management skills and categorize
and down select candidates. They said, "Too often, decisions are based on personalities
and politics." Tell me this isn't so!

--------------------------
Software developer VisionAIR signed the Rapides Parish (La.) Communications District 911
for its VisionCAD software, which will coordinate dispatching incidents for 126,337
residents. 

--------------------------
Meanwhile, New World Systems signed the University of Delaware Police Department to a
contract for their Aegis/MSP public safety software, including CAD, records management,
E911, state/NCIC interfaces, field investigation, case management and UCR/IBR reporting.
It's the first CAD system for the PD, who were "punching complaint sheets and manually
writing critical information," according to UofD project manager Yvonne Simpson. The
department has47 officers, 17 security officers and 17 civilians to police 20,000 students
and faculty.

--------------------------
We've posted a job opening for a director of emergency communications.

--------------------------
Ingham County (Mich.) public safety officials had hoped their proposed $9.88 million radio
system would receive quick approval, but it's been stalled by the Board of Commissioners
for one reason--Tyco. You may know the company is parent to radio company M/A-Com. You may
also recall some recent questions about Tyco's accounting practices... and that's the
issue for the commissioners. "We have to look at the moral issues involved," said
commissioner Curtis Hertel Jr. "Tyco is in Bermuda to avoid paying U.S. taxes. Ingham
County should not reward companies that do not invest in the United States." By the way,
Motorola's bid was $417,000 less than M/A-Com's.

--------------------------
The Hound wishes "good luck" to dispatchers in the Canberra region of Australia, who are
suffering through some of the worst wildfires anywhere on the planet.

--------------------------
APCO has signed on with SpectrumWatch to allow Web submission of FCC Form 601
applications, which further streamlines the process of sending APCO the data needed for
frequency coordination. Public safety radio users simply register on-line with
SpectrumWatch. Surf:

http://www.apcointl.org/frequency/SpectrumWatch.html

--------------------------
In a previous edition we mentioned a situation in Aiken County...it's located in South
Carolina, not Georgia.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/