Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Filings Offer 2 Cents And More On Spectrum Usage

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:33:27 -0500

Filings Offer 2 Cents And More On Spectrum Usage
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JANUARY 28, 2003

WASHINGTON-The scale of the FCC's job in tackling future spectrum issues was
starkly evident as the formal comment cycle on its Spectrum Policy Task Force
Report closed last night.

In total, 276 entities filed their thoughts on the report. The range of those filings
reflected the universe of spectrum users and as many different opinions on how
spectrum should be used. Filers included Lucent Technologies, the National
Association of Amateur Radio, the Radio Astronomy Lab at the University of
California at Berkley, the University of New Mexico's biology department, CTIA and
the National Association of Broadcasters, among others.

The FCC's comment cycle has been open since last fall, but last night saw a flurry
of filings from a variety of wireless companies and others. Lucent, for instance,
applauded the task force's recommendation of flexible spectrum and its
'suggestion that its carrier customers be afforded the maximum flexibility in the
use of their assigned spectrum.' It added, however, 'the commission should not
completely abandon its control over spectrum usage.' The company advocated the
FCC's stance on assigning like systems into 'spectrum neighborhoods' to avoid
interference.

Metrocall said the FCC should 'utilize market-oriented spectrum policies whenever
possible.' However, 'the commission must establish clear rights for incumbent
licensees and diligently enforce those rights.' Strict protection against interference
should be a basic tenet of FCC policy, said the company.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=01/28/03

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/