Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Have AT&T Broadband Internet? Your email address is aboutto change - again

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:52:16 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "Robert F. Schlieman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Have AT&T Broadband Internet?  Your email address is aboutto change - again

Speaking of Number Portability.  We thought that would be a great way to 
keep continuity when our office moved , but it turns out that it costs 
for every call.  You almost might as well keep the original line and 
call forward each call.  Seems like just a gimmick with a fancy name to 
make more money for the telephone companies.  What we have been paying 
for all this time is a temporary charge to develop a number portability 
database system.  But when it comes to implementation, each inbound call 
is charged for rerouting from the old C.O. to the new C.O.    ... or so 
I am advised by our telecom  person.

Robert Schlieman

Richard E. Willimon wrote:

>I wonder how long before someone starts an initiative to bring about email
>portability...bound to happen...we already pay for phone number portability
>even thought it doesn't exist...I am sure this will be another added "tax
>for nothing" charge we will face in the coming years...
>
> Richard E. Willimon
>Communications & Electronics, Inc.
>
>
>AT&T to change e-mail address, again
>
>
>By Tomi Kilgore,
>CBS.MarketWatch.com
>
>1:24 PM ET Jan. 11, 2003
>
>SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW)
>
>Get ready for another jolt if your e-mail address has "attbi.com" at the
>end.
>
>Just as 1.9 million AT&T Broadband Internet users got comfortable with their
>new addresses, they will have to change them again.
>
>A little more than a year after the bankruptcy of ExciteAtHome forced users
>to change their addresses to "@attbi.com" from "@home.com," users will have
>to suffer through another change in the next few months to "@comcast.net."
>
>During the switch from AtHome service to AT&T Broadband, widespread outages
>in service were reported for up to a week as servers changed and customers'
>computers required new configurations.
>
>Comcast spokeswoman Sarah Eder said Saturday that its residential customers
>will start receiving notice of the e-mail address change in the next few
>weeks. She said businesses might have different agreements with AT&T
>Broadband that would preserve their e-mail addresses.
>
>Under the new ownership of Comcast (CMCSK: news, chart, profile), which
>completed its purchase in November of cable operations from AT&T (T: news,
>chart, profile), subscribers will have at least 60 days to use both their
>old and new addresses. San Francisco Bay Area customers have just received
>the news via an article in the San Francisco Chronicle.
>
>Eder said Comcast has a technical team working on the transition and is
>still determining when various regions in the AT&T Broadband network will
>switch over. Eder stressed that the company wants to make the transition as
>smooth as possible.
>
>An AT&T Broadband customer-service representative on a help line confirmed
>the change Saturday, but said details had not been distributed on dealing
>with inquiries.
>
>AT&T Broadband, which is the division Comcast bought, does not own the
>rights to the AT&T name and is making the domain-name switch to avoid a
>royalty problem, the Chronicle said.
>
>In the Bay Area, AT&T Broadband customers have already received notice that
>they will have to switch cable modems, though Eder said that is unrelated to
>the e-mail address change. New units are to arrive in the mail, with several
>computer settings requiring a change.
>
>Customers who put their new Internet modems in service by Feb. 28 will
>receive a $5 billing credit.
>
>Tomi Kilgore is a reporter for CBS.MarketWatch.com in New York. Gary Olson
>of MarketWatch's San Francisco bureau contributed to this report.
>
>http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/
>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/