Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Mediacenter - Press Releases

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 13:56:39 -0500

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2257_1840_23,00.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home -
About Motorola -
Products and Services -
Shop

Search

Overview

News Releases

Media Contacts

Executive Bios

Media Info

Graphix

Exploring Technology

Investors

Industry Analysts

Motorola@

“MotoMomentum” Builds as
Motorola Unveils First Wave of Mobile Handsets, Applications, and Experiences
for
2003

“HelloMoto”
Ushers In 2003 With Wireless Innovations in
Shanghai

Shanghai, China -- 9
January 2003 -- In an event steeped in symbolism celebrating 75 years of
Motorola’s technological innovation, 20 years since the company introduced
the world’s first commercial mobile phone, and its ongoing market-share
leadership in China – the world’s largest mobile handset market
– Motorola (NYSE: MOT) today unveiled its first 2003 additions to the
Motorola Personal Communications Sector’s mobile experience portfolio of
handsets, applications and accessories.

“Our new handsets build on the
tremendous successes of our 2002 introductions,” said
Tom Lynch,
president and chief executive officer Motorola PCS. “Today, there are
more than 1.2 billion mobile handset users – and there’s plenty of
opportunity for more growth through both new users and users who want to replace
or upgrade their handsets. We are focused on building momentum – on
winning across all price points by working with wireless operators to envision,
create and deliver “must-have” products and “gotta-do”
mobile experiences.”

Motorola’s
handsets, applications and accessories strategy moving through 2003 is
evolutionary and leverages the strength of the company’s 2002 offerings,
as well as reinvigorated “Moto” brand resonance with consumers
worldwide. Motorola’s eight new GSM mobile offerings unveiled in Shanghai
provide consumers advanced innovations in messaging (EMS and MMS),
Java™, GPRS, EDGE and UMTS/WCDMA, with brilliant
color screens and dynamic polyphonic speakers prominently featured throughout.
These products represent the first wave of mobile phones to be introduced by
Motorola in 2003 as the company continues to demonstrate its strength across
GSM, UMTS/WCDMA, CDMA and TDMA
technologies.

“We have a great portfolio
on which to build throughout 2003. Innovative and iconic designs such as the
Motorola V60i and V66i, the color-display equipped T720, and the entry-level
C330 series have great legs and tremendous staying power,” said Lynch.
“These existing offerings, combined with the new products we are unveiling
today, put Motorola in an excellent position to continue to fuel consumer demand
and drive profitable growth.”

Point,
Click, Capture – and Share
Taking and
sharing photos spontaneously is part of the fun behind Motorola's newest mobile
handsets. Complete with integrated cameras or optional camera accessories, new
Motorola mobile offerings allow consumers to capture and share moments with a
few clicks of a button. A consumer with the new Motorola E365 doesn't
have to miss sharing a friend’s night out with those who couldn’t
attend. The lightweight model E365 with embedded camera allows the consumer to
capture the fun on the spot, attach a voice-recorded message and share pictures
with their friends at home. No one should miss moments like these. And now, no
one has to.

Color is on display on the large
screens on Motorola's new line of mobile handsets, ideal for displaying photos,
creating custom photo screensavers or adding images to a visual caller-ID. The
large display capable of supporting up to 64,000 colors on the Motorola
V600 allows users to display their own virtual “brag book” full
of friends, family and special occasions wherever they are. Motorola V600 users
can snap headshots of their new contacts for use in the visual caller-ID*
meaning they'll know which "Bob" is really on the line. Consumers can use the
model V600’s advanced Bluetooth™ technology to also share these
photo memories quickly and easily.

Go to the
EDGE, Dive In, and Feel the G Force (3G, That
Is)
Throughout 2003 Motorola promises mobile
consumers will have a quick escape from those moments of microboredom, as the
latest gaming capabilities are integrated into new handsets such as the
Motorola T725 (EDGE – Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution) and
Motorola A835 (UMTS – Universal Mobile Telecommunications System).
Motorola’s leadership in wireless Java applications, and the
ever-expanding bandwidth of such infrastructure technologies as EDGE and UMTS,
enables new mobile handsets to have the speed and power to help consumers steal
a moment of fun with just a few touches of the keypad. Adding crystal clear
graphics, video capabilities, rich colors, and new movement and sound
technology, consumers will enjoy a gaming experience so close to reality that
they will feel as though they’re actually behind the wheel careening
through the twists and turns of the Grand
Prix.

Motorola’s Java applications
leadership ensures that consumers have the power to add new games and advanced
game levels to their handsets with easy over-the-air downloads. This technology
satisfies users' need to personalize their handset with specific games, while
simultaneously providing customers an additional revenue channel. The
combination of Java technology, advanced network speeds and large color displays
ensures that handsets such as the Motorola T725 and Motorola A835 will satisfy
the mobile gamers’
cravings.

Motorola’s mobile experience
for consumers is enhanced by the ever-increasing catalog of Java
technology-based mobile applications developed through Motorola’s newly
launched MotoCoder program for developers. MotoCoder is all about supporting
developers and promoting innovative open-standards application development. For
more information, please visit
www.motorola.com/developers/wireless.

Messaging
Madness
Each of the new handsets announced
today provide consumers either enhanced or multimedia messaging technology
– adding audio, graphic, text and imaging content to short messages. The
new Motorola V295 provides consumers the ability to take a picture with
the integrated camera, attach a personalized voice message and send it to family
and friends. Or if it’s a quick note that’s needed, the model
V295’s Instant Messaging (IM) feature provides a quick way to say hello
while on the go.

The variety of messaging
options continues with the new Motorola A388c, which adds color and new
technology to a Motorola China design-team form factor that is already a global
crowd-pleaser. The model A388c continues to deliver standard mobile phone
offerings with ease and adds worldwide** access to e-mail for up to five
different profiles, SMS (short-message service) to send quick notes, group SMS
for quiet conferences or IM (instant messaging) for fast chats. The large
touch-screen display capable of supporting 65,000 colors of the model A388c
makes messaging easy and fun for
all.

Digital and Physical
Makeover
Motorola has long recognized
consumers’ desire for personal expression, and the company’s design
strategy satisfies such desires by consistently taking personalization to new
levels. Now consumers can not only change the inside of their phone by
downloading wallpaper, ring tones and screen savers, but with the Motorola
C350 series consumers can change the outside too, selecting from different
shaped exterior housings for a new phone to hold on to every day. Users can
also shape their own sounds with the installed MotoMixer, creating instant
DJ’s able to download and remix MIDI ring tones with
ease.

The customization fun continues with the
Motorola E380, capable of downloading themes with packaged ringers,
images, lights and sounds – making your mobile an audio and visual mirror
of you. Activate the model E380’s funlights to light up your life when
friends call by assigning a personalized color for each. Lights combined with
the handset’s rich polyphonic speaker and shake-rattle-roll haptics
technology creates a heart-thumping, body-bumping, tongue-wagging experience for
kids of all ages.

Solutions for All Markets
and All Technologies
Motorola’s handsets,
applications and accessories strategy delivers solutions for all of the
world’s major technologies – GSM-GPRS (Global System for Mobile
Communications-Global Packet Radio Service), CDMA (Code Division Multiple
Access), CDMA1X, TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access), EDGE and UMTS. Motorola
is a global leader in both CDMA and UMTS. Motorola’s strength in CDMA and
CDMA1X solutions has fueled market growth in the Americas and ongoing market
leadership in China. And, looking to the future, Motorola is expected to be the
first of the world’s top two handset manufacturers to go commercial with
UMTS handsets, having developed the world’s de facto and factual first
dual-mode UMTS handset, the Motorola A830. When other handset manufacturers
backed away from TDMA, Motorola took the long view – a move that has paid
dividends with increased market share across all price points in Latin America,
placing Motorola in a strong position with consumers as operators migrate their
infrastructures to GSM or
CDMA.

Availability
The
Motorola A388c, C350 and V295 are expected to be available in the first half of
2003.  The Motorola V600, T725, E365, E380 and A835 are expected to be
available in the second half of 2003.

About
Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is an
international leader in providing integrated communications and embedded
electronic solutions. Sales in 2001 were $30.0 billion. Motorola is a global
corporate citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and pioneering
important technologies that make things smarter and life better for people.
These traditions are as important today as they were when the company was
founded 75 years ago this year.

For more
information, please
visit:
www.motorola.com
www.hellomoto.com

#
# #

Media
Contacts:
Leslie
Dance
Motorola
+1-847-668-0225
[email-masked]

Julie
Cordua
Motorola
Phone:
847-523-0015
[email-masked]

Eileen
Oldham
Motorola Media Intelligence
Center
+1-323-966-5619
[email-masked]

Broadcast
Media Video Footage Requests:
Please email
[email-masked]

For footage download via satellite, please use
the following information:

APTN European
Transmission
Wednesday, 8th Jan.
2003. 1515 – 1530 GMT or 1615 – 1630 CET
(MEZ)
European Coordinates – Wednesday,
8th Jan. 2003. 1615 – 1630 GMT or 1715 – 1730 CET (MEZ);
Eutelsat W2 TXP B1 DVB2; Downlink Frequency – 11022.17H; Encoding –
4:2:0; Symbol Rate – 5.6320; FEC: ¾
UK
Broadcasters only – BT Tower Local ends: AVCV
903
United States Transmission – Wednesday,
8th Jan. 2003. 1:00 – 1:30 PM ET; TEL 5/19 C Band, DL: 4080
Vertical and 3:00 – 3:15 PM ET; TEL 4/11 C Band; DL: 3920
Vertical.

Canadian
Transmission
Wednesday, 8th Jan.
2003. 11:30 – 11:45 AM ET (1130 or 1145 ET OR 1630-1645 GMT); ANIK E2
Transponder 8B; C Band; UL: 6245 Vertical; DL: 4020 Horizontal; Audios:
6.2&6.8 OR 2:30 – 2:45 PM ET (1430-1445 ET OR 1930-1945 GMT);
ANIK E2 Transponder 8B; C Band; UL: 6245 Vertical; DL: 4020 Horizontal; Audios:
6.2&6.8

Latin America
Transmission
Wednesday, 8th Jan.
2003. 1230 – 1300 PM ET (or 1730 – 1800 GMT); PAS 9 – 58
Degrees West; Transponder: 24C, Slot A; SA POWERVU / C (BAND); Symbol rate: 6.62
VIRTUAL CHANNEL 2; Audio: 6.2 & 6.8; D/L Freq. 4146.5 HORIZONTAL; Channel A
or CHANNEL 1. Second transmission, Wednesday, 8th Jan. 2003. 2:00
– 2:15 PM ET (or 1900 – 1915 GMT); INTELSTAT 806 – 319.5 WEST;
Transponder: 22B Channel 2 (CANAL 2); Compression: 9 MHZ; C (BAND) / NDS; Symbol
rate: 6.1113; Audio: CHANNEL 1 & CHANNEL 2 (CANAL 1 Y 2); D/L Freq. 3856.5
LHCP (left circular pole); Channel: 2

APTN
Asian Transmission
Thursday, 9th
Jan. 2003. 0800 – 0815 GMT

*Network,
subscription and SIM card or service provider dependent
feature.
** Operates in many major cities and
countries where GSM network coverage and roaming agreements are
present.

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are
registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office. All other product or service
names are the property of their respective owners. Java and all other Java-based
marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the
U.S. and other countries. (C) Motorola, Inc. 2003.

- Click here to download this document in word format.

© Copyright 1994-2003 Motorola, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Home |
Terms of Use |
Privacy Practices |
Contact Us