Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS Services in Works for Cell Phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:21:23 -0500

January 6, 2003
GPS Services in Works for Cell Phones

By  Carmen Nobel

Nextel Communications Inc. is working with a GPS company to bring driving directions and
tracking services to its mobile phones.

Location-based service company Televigation Inc. this week at the Consumer Electronics
Show in Las Vegas will launch TeleNav GPS for Nextel. The service provides voice-enabled,
turn-by-turn directions for phones that run on the Nextel network. The phones must be
equipped with Global Positioning System hardware as well as Java technology for the
software download. Java phones without GPS can be equipped with it using a connection kit
from Televigation.

The system works much like integrated systems in rental cars. A user enters the driving
destination into the phone through voice or keypad; the phone then delivers direction
instructions in real time, both graphically on the screen and verbally through the phone's
speaker, as the user drives. If the driver misses a turn, the system calculates a new
route. Nextel uses iDen phones from Motorola Inc., which work like walkie-talkies and
function as speakerphones by default.

The service, which costs $7 per month, is available now.

"We are providing the back-end operation while Nextel provides the platform to make it
available to their customers through their Java application Web site," said H.P. Jin, CEO
of Televigation, in Sunnyvale, Calif.

Within three months, Televigation and Nextel plan to launch an enterprise version of the
system, which lets IT managers or any other managers enter data into a mobile employee's
phone remotely. The enterprise version will also enable employers to track the location of
their employees' phones. "We want to help fleets increase their productivity," Jin said,
listing trucking and taxi companies as likely initial customers. But he added that the
service is appropriate for any typical business traveler because it resides on the phone
and not in the vehicle. That said, the phone must be in plain view—sitting on or near a
dashboard, for example—to work properly.

"GPS signals don't travel through metal [such as] car roofs, or masonry or heavy
vegetation," said Christopher Bell, chief technology officer of People2People Group Inc.,
in Boston, who travels with GPS hardware from Garmin International Inc. in his car. "My
GPS unit works great on the dashboard and very poorly if I hold it near my ear."

Companies such as Garmin, of Olathe, Kan., have been developing GPS systems for years,
using signals that the U.S. government sends out from a collection of 24 satellites.

But major wireless carriers have only recently begun to explore location-based services
for their own networks, mainly because the law requires it. A Federal Communications
Commission mandate called E911 (Enhanced 911) requires carriers to incorporate technology
that provides emergency workers with a way to track all 911 calls from wireless phones.

According to the initial directive rolled out in 1999, the carriers were supposed to have
finished the early stages of E911 implementations by now, but the FCC has been lenient
with the varying deadlines.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/