Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Corbitt is a computer security specialist, hacking into wireless information systems at Atlanta's airport.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:20:56 -0500

Wireless Insecurity
Jan. 1, 2003

At check-in counters across America -- private information just floats through thin air
from computer to computer in the world of wireless technology.

But as a target for terrorists CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassmann reports that it's
potential is also unlimited.

Right outside Atlanta's airport, Bill Corbitt is poaching information – sensitive
information.

"Terrorism is information … you could cause some serious irreparable harm to people," he
says.

Corbitt is a computer security specialist, hacking into wireless information systems at
Atlanta's airport.

"Anything that an airline could be doing could be floating over that wire… they are
allowing someone to have direct access to
everything they are trying to protect," Corbitt tells Strassmann.

Everything America has tried to protect since Sept. 11.

Physical security is up -- but not technical security or wireless security.

Corbitt picks up four wireless networks that belong to FedEx -- networks Corbitt says are
"reasonably" secure.

Still, they are deemed possibly crackable by the computer expert.

According to Corbitt you can fool the system into "believing the bag is safe to travel…
believing the bag has an authorized person dropping it off."

A spokeswoman says FedEx is "comfortable" with its level of wireless security.

But Jalad Haidar, an aviation security expert, is not.

Haidar has directed security for airports from Beirut to Chicago.

"This is a new category that exists, and is a new emerging form of threat against civil
aviation," says Haidar.

And consider Corbitt's equipment which he describes as, "a 12 year-old kid as a hobby
could put it together."

It consists of a "Pringles" can for an antenna, hardware from Home Depot and, perhaps most
alarming, free software downloaded from the Internet.

And the world of wireless can open wide to anyone.

"I am just amazed at large corporations, Fortune 100 companies, government industry. Just
- it's out there. They are using it and the way they deploy it at times is questionable,"
Corbitt says.

No question, AirTran sees that threat.

"Everybody needs to take a hard look at this," says Rocky Wiggins, AirTran Chief
Information Officer.

The airline uses wireless technology throughout its systems -- guarded by tough
encryption.

"You always have to assume there is somebody out there working very hard to break in,"
says Wiggins.

Like somebody after information or somebody who could drive up, hack away, drive off
without a trace and in many cases, without much trouble.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/01/eveningnews/printable534947.shtml--

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:30:27 -0600

Marcel wrote:

>Wireless Insecurity
>Jan. 1, 2003
>
>Corbitt is a computer security specialist, hacking into wireless information systems at Atlanta's airport.
>
Translation: Corbitt has just demonstrated use of his laptop with 
wireless card and directional antenna to a clueless reporter. Sorry, but 
the hype-o-meter is bouncing on this one.

>Everything America has tried to protect since Sept. 11.
See what I mean? (Like no efforts of protection existed before that 
magic date).

-rick