Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pima Community College, Tucson, Ariz., Expands Communications Capabilities with New Motorola Digital Radio System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:08:43 -0500

Pima Community College, Tucson, Ariz., Expands Communications Capabilities with
New Motorola Digital Radio System

Growing Coverage and Capabilities to Benefit Student and Officer Safety

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. Jan. 14, 2003 – Pima Community College in Tucson, Arizona, recently
accepted its newly installed 800 MHz conventional ASTRO® digital radio communications
system, greatly enhancing coverage in a 210-square-mile, multi-campus area. The Pima
College
system is part of Motorola’s (NYSE:MOT) extensive portfolio of integrated communications
and
information solutions to address mission-critical public safety and security requirements
worldwide.

The Pima College Police Department made the decision to upgrade its previous radio
communications system in early 2001 to improve in-building coverage and to accommodate the

continued expansion of Pima College’s satellite campuses throughout the Tucson
metropolitan
area.

“The old system’s in-building coverage capabilities were extremely limited and
unreliable,” said
Sgt. Terry Smart, Pima College Department of Public Safety. “Upgrading our communications
system became paramount to ensure student and officer safety and to meet the demands of
campus expansion.”

The new Pima Community College system replaces a single radio frequency (RF) system using
only one transmitter site. The upgraded system delivers improved radio coverage and
clearer voice
communications utilizing 800 MHz digital technology in a six-site simulcast configuration.
In
addition, the system incorporates two Gold Elite™ Console positions. Additional
communications
capacity is provided at all six locations for added flexibility for event interoperability
with
surrounding public safety agencies, emergency and backup communications. As Pima
Community College expands to enhance service to its community, the new radio system is
also
scalable to meet the needs of the users.

“The new digital communications system greatly enhances our coverage capabilities,
transmission clarity and tracking requirements,” said Sgt. Smart. “Migrating to the new
system
was extremely smooth and our in-building coverage has improved dramatically. We are very
pleased with the end result.”

The Pima College digital communications system is based upon the Project 25 series of
communications standards, which has been adopted by federal, state, and local governmental

entities throughout the United States. Worldwide, there are more than 500 Project 25
systems in
daily use.

Currently, the Pima Community College utilizes Motorola’s ASTRO® XTS3000™ portable radios
and ASTRO® SPECTRA® mobile radios.

“The new radio communications system deployed at Pima Community College will enhance
communications capabilities across a rapidly expanding coverage area,” said Phil Dobosz
Motorola Communications and Electronics, Inc. vice president, Western Division Systems
Integration and Field Service. “Motorola will continue to work closely with the college to
ensure
the system provides a foundation for interoperable digital communications in the Tucson
metropolitan area.”

About Motorola’s Safety and Security Solutions
Motorola is a leading provider of integrated communications and information solutions with
65
years of experience in meeting the mission-critical requirements of public safety, public
service,
government and enterprise customers worldwide. The company’s extensive public safety and
security portfolio includes: interoperable two-way radio communications solutions with
encrypted
security capabilities; command and control equipment and software applications, including
computer-aided dispatch, 9-1-1 and 3-1-1 systems and automated records management
systems; identification and tracking solutions, including palm/fingerprint and
photo-imaging
systems, as well as comprehensive information management capabilities for criminal justice
and
civil needs; and physical security and monitoring solutions, including remote monitoring
and
diagnostics.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2267_1850_23,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/