Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DogPound- Jan 17, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:20:31 -0500

In a very quick action, the FCC has granted a request by the Cellular Telephone and
Internet Association (CTIA) to extend the time to submit comments on the additional 150
pages of material submitted in December in connection with the "Consensus Proposal" to
reduce interference in the 800 MHz band. But, saying that extensions are "not routinely
granted," the FCC was only partially helpful-- "We believe that a modest extension of
time--one week--may serve to compile a more complete record." You now have until Feb. 25.

--------------------------
The Indiana State Police have signed up NICE Systems to provide its Wordnet Series 3
logging recorders for 17 district office comm center. The recorders will have from 32 to
64 recording channels, replacing older reel-to-reel systems that made it difficult to
locate radio and telephone conversations. Two district offices actually had systems that
haven't been working at all. You'll recall that Wordnet allows searches on multiple
criteria, including time, channel, ANI and ALI.

--------------------------
Nextel's Web page now includes some language pointing toward future location services. At
one point on their customer pages, they display all sorts of advisories on privacy,
including:

"In the future, technology that allows Nextel to identify the geographic location of its
customers for emergency purposes also will allow us to offer a variety of new and
innovative commercial location services. Because these services will involve the
disclosure of location information, which is CPNI, Nextel will separately seek the consent
of subscribers to these services for such use of their CPNI. Nextel will not use any
customer's CPNI to market any services unrelated to the customer's current service
relationship with Nextel without the customer's consent."

Oh, just get Phase II!

--------------------------
Howdy! to Frank in England, who points out that the London Underground has a public safety
radio system that is being upgraded with fiber-optic links, but otherwise is "most times
reliable." He wonders how/why FDNY's radio system doesn't have the same features or
coverage. 

--------------------------
Aiken County (Geo.) officials have discliplined a dispatcher after a response delay to a
medical incident that ended with the death of a heart attack victim. County officials are
tight-lipped, but a local newspaper pried loose the records through a Freedom of
Information Act request, and learned that it took an ambulance 28 minutes to arrive, after
there were problems obtaining an accurate address and passing it along from the sheriff's
comm center to the EMS agency.

--------------------------
Pima Community College PD in Tucson (Ariz.) now has its Motorola, non-trunked, 800 MHz
ASTRO digital radio communications system working to cover its multi-campus operation over
210 square miles. The system improves upon the previous system's in-building coverage
using the 6-site simulcast system.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/