Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Speaking of interoperability - The Viktor Mayer-Schönberger Report

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:09:30 -0500

------- Original Message --------
   From: John Powell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Speaking of interoperability - The Viktor Mayer-Schönberger Report

Unfortunately, the Viktor Mayer-Schönberger Report does not represent the quality one
would expect from such a prestigious organization as the JFK School of Government at
Harvard University.  Not only is some of the research flawed, but a number of his
assumptions, and thus conclusions, are in error.  One only need look at recent failures of
TETRA systems and, more importantly, their shared system providers in Europe, and
cancellation of contracts such as happened in Australia as evidence.

A group of us have prepared a detailed response to his report pointing out these problems,
though the response is not publicly available.  However, anyone who has followed Project
25 for a few years can identify most of these.

John Powell

At 09:28 PM 1/21/2003 -0800, Nick Ruark wrote:

> A good read on interoperability....
>
> Emergency Communications:
> The Quest for Interoperability in the US & Europe
> March, 2002