Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Vienna Leads World Hotspot Ranking

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:44:36 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Anthony Townsend <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Vienna Leads World Hotspot Ranking

this is completely inaccurate.

the real Wi-Fi leaders of the world right now are Tokyo, Seoul, and 
Singapore... roughly in that order. In Asia, wireless carriers are 
rapidly rolling out urban hotspot networks that cost as little as $15 
US extra per month for unlimited use (for existing cellular customers). 
i believe there is a real potential for profit because of the 
combination of lots of early adopters of wireless data in all three 
countries, plus the fact that it takes far fewer hotspots to reach a 
large segment of the population.

compare this with Cometa, the new joint venture of IBM/ATT/Intel that 
is going to have to put up loads of Wi-Fi hotspots to service a 
suburban US population that already has unmetered broadband at home and 
at the office. stopping in at a cafe or park to check your email while 
walking home in Singapore or in a Tokyo subway station is one thing. 
pulling off the Interstate to do so is another thing altogether

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 09:43 PM, [email-masked] 
wrote:

> http://www.bwcs.com/marketing/index2.html
>
> Vienna Leads World Hotspot Ranking
>
> (14/01/2003, BWCS Staff) Vienna has emerged as an unexpected leader 
> has emerged
> in the world ranking of cities by W-LAN hotspots. The former capital 
> of the
> Austro-Hungarian empire currently has more W-LAN public access points 
> (136)
> than New York (115) San Francisco (102) and Chicago (82), according to 
> figures
> from Austrian WISP Metronet.
>
Anthony Townsend
Research Scientist
Taub Urban Research Center
New York University
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Dan Jones"
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:34:01 -0500

Yeah

Would be interesting to know exactly what the Austrian WISP Metronet (!)
counts as a public access hotspot. NYCWireless.net lists 130 nodes on
its New York City freenet map. Then there's T-Mobile in some Starbucks
in the city etc, etc. Hard to get an exact figure, but NYC definitely
has more than the 115 public access hotspots they claim. 

Dan Jones
Senior Editor, Unstrung

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 10:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Vienna Leads World Hotspot Ranking

-------- Original Message --------
From: Anthony Townsend <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Vienna Leads World Hotspot Ranking

Anthony Townsend
Research Scientist

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/