Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] SMR: A Tale Of Two Strategies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:04:56 EST

Marcel - I'm curious, when was this article written (it's not dated nor is 
there a copyright on the page).  It talks about Geotek as if it exists today, 
and discusses MCI's deal with Nextel "in February of last year."

I therefore assume that it's many years old.  If so, why the post?

More interesting, though, is that the writer has absolutely no clue about SMR 
service.  Besides claiming Morgan as an ex-FCC Commissioner (heck, he wasn't 
even Chief of the Private Radio Bureau), it explains the creation of SMR in a 
totally incorrect manner.  No wonder people are constantly confused.

Alan Tilles

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:27:13 -0500

Your observations are accurate I could not find a date either, however given some of the
statements contained within I would say it was written in the mid-late 90's.

Why the post?

While it is not 100% accurate (how many articles are now a days?) it does report the
evolution of Mirs (iDEN) and some of the problems Nextel had with the older 6:1 vocoder.
(An analyst was looking for some documented history on Nextel's vocoder.) It further
documents the collapse of Nextel's stock (which later help trigger a the class action
lawsuit against Nextel, that was  later settled out of court for $27,000,000.00)

As far as calling Morggie a commissioner the writer was obviously confused. Outside the
Bureau "Joe Consumer" has no idea what a "Bureau Chief" is. Being an industry insiders we
pick-up on these inaccuracies quickly. I saw a few other mistakes  concerning technology
descriptions but he made a diligent attempt to accurately report the facts.

The article also highlights the competitive arena in the 90's as Geotek struggled with its
technology. We all know the history behind Geotek and why it failed but others don't. The
article semi-accurately describes the FHMA technology which few know about or understands.

Considering some of the information contained in the article it qualified as a resource
for the Nextel-1 archives.

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Marcel - I'm curious, when was this article written (it's not dated nor is there a
> copyright on the page).  It talks about Geotek as if it exists today, and discusses
> MCI's deal with Nextel "in February of last year."
>
> More interesting, though, is that the writer has absolutely no clue about SMR service.
> Besides claiming Morgan as an ex-FCC Commissioner (heck, he wasn't even Chief of the
> Private Radio Bureau), it explains the creation of SMR in a totally incorrect manner.
> No wonder people are constantly confused.
>
> Alan Tilles
>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/