Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Clarity least someone values LIVES over the almighty dollar!

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:26:58 -0500

Clarity least someone values LIVES over the almighty dollar!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "mingya
Date: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:57 am
Subject: Re: NY CIO: Wireless network project award is daunting task

While bullish on NXTL I totally disagree with the concept that Public
Safety should rely on NXTL for communication. It could be one, but
it should not be sole-sourced nor should it only work one way. NXTL
is also unable to handle the rigid requirements of real public safety
situations.

Example: Ice Storm that ripped through N.C. NXTL was totally
useless, and towns using NXTL were sans comunique. Private radio
networks with proper contingency planning and ample preparation were
running fine. When electricity goes out, you need generators and
NXTL has none or a very puny one at only a few "important" sites. No
way they can pass a real Public Safety RFP without a major capex
consideration on making their system far more robust in all disaster
situations. The WTC was a pinpoint disaster and NXTL looked good
there as it has redundant system (cellular and radio). The radio
still worked.

Another point, during a disaster phone use spikes. (e.g LA Quake)
Public Agencies would not be able to communicate consistently as it
is on the same network. Without setting priorities and levels of the
service in the network, you gotta be nuts to go with NXTL for public
safety in your town.

For adding redundancy to a system or for cross-agency comms the idea
is fine. But real public safety, without a some major design
considerations would be a neighborhood/city I would rather not live
in.

IF they alter the business plan, add capex to go after these accounts
and make a prioritized/high available network, it certainly is an
interesting thought.

 "
Nextel Investor: wrote:
> Wouldn't it be great if they won the swap and figured out a way to
> take control of all of public safety's communication needs. Just
> dreaming, or am I?

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/