Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Spies Magazine - The Spy in Your Pocket - Alan Simpson

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:27:03 -0500

http://www.spiesmag.com/spiesmag/pocket.htm
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Hosted by Alan Simpson

Back
to Main Menu

The Spy in Your Pocket

by Alan Simpson

Millions of businessmen around
the world go to meetings, listen to briefings, and travel around not realizing they have
one of the most efficient bugs eavesdropping on their conversations, and telling the world
who they are, where they are, and who else is with them.

This is not a microchip from the NSA, not even a bug to be found by
sweeping buttons and belt buckles. No this is the common cellphone, or digital mobile. In
many cases you need not even switch it on for it to be used as a bugging device. The
authorities can do that for you, and reconfigure the handset so you will never know it is
transmitting.

Few details emerge as to the extent of monitoring cellphones, only
when there have been problems, or when a high profile arrest is made. There was a series
of highly publicized mailbox pipe bombs that caused havoc across the United States, early
in 2002. In May it was learned that the prime suspect was Luke Helder, but the problem was
he had disappeared, and evaded capture by the police. He did make one mistake that cost
him his freedom. He turned on his cellphone. He did not need to call anyone for he had
just electronically told the network "my identity is… and I am here
at…." to access the network, and start the billing process.

The FBI were alerted by the phone company, and immediately called
the local police. Helders cellphone was acting like a beacon, and calling out for the
police to come and arrest him.

Major Rick Bradley of the Nevada Highway Patrol commented, "We
got a call from the FBI at approximately 3.20 p.m. that the cell phone had been activated
somewhere between Battle Mountain and Golconda. We started hitting Interstate 80"

This remote region would have been a perfect hiding place for Helder
had not the FBI been able to triangulate his position, using his cellphone as a beacon.

This triangulation is causing concerns for privacy advocates, for
not only can a cellphone be identified, monitored, but it can easily be tracked. The alibi
may be that the user was playing Poker downtown, but the cellphone trackers may prove
otherwise. And consider if the cellphone id’s of known associates are available to
law enforcement. They can tell where you were, and who was with you, or to be precise near
you.

An even more scary feature on many new digital devices is that the
software can be remotely programmed. This allows patches to be added to all the users
software on the network, without having subscribers come into a sales office and have
their handsets reprogrammed. It also allows multiple technical and operating features to
be changed, or added at the convenience of the user. But with convenience comes risk. Not
only can the real network operator change your cellphone, so can a technology savvy
interloper, armed with the right electronic equipment. This equipment is only available to
government agencies. The criminals of course been smarter than most government agencies
were probably the first to use it!

This raises serious concerns for businesses such as Banks, and high
tech development companies. If a cellphone can be remotely activated, either from the
legitimate network, or a pseudo network simulator, hidden in a briefcase nearby, then
cellphones can be switched on to monitor meetings. Today many large corporations, Banks,
and Financial Institutions require all cellphones to be switched off, left outside meeting
and conference rooms, and in many cases have their batteries removed for additional
security.

As more and more technical features are added to these mobile
wireless networks, the risks for eavesdropping, and tracking the users become easier. What
may seem a simple benefit for the public can be used for "Big Brother" tactics
by a intrusive government. In America the "911" feature is causing concern, for
this will give constantly updated locations of every cellphone. In Britain this has been
in place for several years and law enforcement were overjoyed at having the population
carrying voluntary beepers giving out their location. The loophole in the law that allows
this tracking is that listening to the conversations, the content of a telephone call,
needs a Court Order. But the monitoring of locations, and directions as the user travels
from cell to cell does not.

Drug dealers are well aware of these issues with their cellphones,
and routinely steal handsets from the unsuspecting public. They can then conduct
transactions, and move on to another number, on another stolen, or reprogrammed handset.
This use by drug dealers only becomes public when it hits the courts, usually after
someone screws up the process. Recently in Baltimore there was a court exchange between
Drug Enforcement , and Nextel, where Nextel computers shut off the stolen cellphones for
non-payment, and the DEA wanted them left on so they could monitor the drug dealers. Some
dealers became suspicious when their stolen phones were switched off, then on again, and
off again, and on again without paying a dime. So you haven’t paid any bills for six
months, and the generous phone company switches the phone back on. How kind!

As more and more devices are being connected to the wireless
network, users must beware that communications are far from secure. Even the algorithms
that supposedly protect the contents have been shown to be weak, and easily circumvented.
Anyone using wireless for computers needs to consider encrypting their files, and email.
Never send anything over wireless that is confidential, unless it has several layers of
strong encryption. The problem with that statement is of course that the all seeing US
Government will not let its businessmen abroad use such safeguards, insisting that they
use only export approved weak encryption.

In the meantime remember, especially on overseas visits, that
cellphone is a beacon telling the authorities who you are, where you are, who you are
meeting, and if they so desire, the contents of your conversations.