Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:12:37 -0500

1) California Plan Proposes Goals To Ease Some Of The Nation's Worst Traffic
Link to Associated Press story via The San Diego Union-Tribune (San Diego, California):
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20030120-0008-ca-2025traffic.html
Link to California Transportation Plan Web page:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tpp/offices/osp/ctp.htm

2) Caltrans Installs Wireless Surveillance
Video system may be just the beginning of a nationwide trend for such security measures.
Link to story in Government e-Business:
http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/0120/web-bay-01-21-03.asp

3) Some In Washington State Can Now Dial 511 For Weather, Road Conditions
Link to article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Seattle, Washington):
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/105128_trafficsystem21.shtml

4) Capital Metro Progressing In Digital Age
Austin area transit system is increasingly turning to high-tech tools to attract riders.
Link to column in the Austin American-Statesman (Austin, Texas):
http://www.austin360.com/aas/metro/daniel/

5) Government Awards First Cellular Priority Service Contract
Link to story in Government Computer News:
http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/20908-1.html
Link to story from CNET News.com:
http://news.com.com/2100-1033-981441.html
Link to news release from the National Communications System:
http://www.ncs.gov/n5_hp/Customer_Service/XAffairs/NewService/2003/2003-003.htm

6) US-Canada Security Brings Frustration To Both Sides Of Border
Link to article in The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts):
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/020/nation/US_Canada_security_brings_frustration_to_both_sides_of_border+.shtml

7) FHWA Office Of Operations - Highlights Of Activities Related To Systems Management &
Operations
Link to Federal Highway Administration document via the ICDN Newsletter:
http://www.nawgits.com/fhwa/SSOMFHWA_trb03.htm

) Canadian Airport To Roll Out Iris-Scan Kiosks In March
Link to story on Kiosk Marketplace.com:
http://www.kioskmarketplace.com/news_story.htm?i=14608

8) DC-Net Moves To The Front Of The Pack
A new communications system for emergency services in Washington, DC is described.
Link to article in Wireless Future:
http://www.wirelessfuturemagazine.com/dcnet.html  (free registration required)

9) Travel, Tourism & Recreation Groups Form Coalition
Five work together to serve the interests of the travel, tour and recreation industries in
the next round of TEA-21 reauthorization.
Link to article in Metro:
http://www.metro-magazine.com/t_newspick.cfm?id=9054971
Link to news release from the American Bus Association:
http://www.buses.org/pressroom/PROutput.cfm?PRID=208

10) Maine Bill Seeks Repeal Of Statute On Right Of Way At Crosswalks
Link to Associated Press story in the Kennebec Journal (Augusta, Maine):
http://www.centralmaine.com/statehouse/stories/030121pedestri.shtml
Link to bill "An Act to Protect Motor Vehicles From Dangerous Pedestrians":
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/billtexts/LD006301-1.asp

11) Wisconsin DOT Internet Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Online Research Library
Link to news release from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/news/news/2003general/opa-researchlibrary12.htm
Direct link to online research reports:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/library/research/resources/onlinereports.htm

12) Japanese Highways To Abolish High-Priced Toll Cards
Prepaid expressway cards will be eliminated in hopes of increasing use of electronic toll
tags.
Link to article in The Japan Times (Tokyo, Japan):
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20030122a2.htm

13) E-ZPass Lanes Speed Ahead
Link to article in The Times Herald-Record (Middletown, New York):
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2003/01/21/jrezpass.htm

14) New Hampshire Bill Would Give Toll Discounts To E-ZPass Users
Link to article in The Telegraph (Nashua, New Hampshire):
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=25&SubSectionID=378&ArticleID=72140
Direct link to bills 136 & 137:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2003/hb0136.html  (House Bill 136)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2003/hb0137.html  (House Bill 137)

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/