Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lucent's Antenna-Tuning Technology Could Help Its Bottom Line

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:03:43 -0500

I have been "Optimizing" antenna systems remotely since 1997 this is really nothing new
(maybe to Lucent)
This appears to be another version of the mildly accepted Metawave product called
Spotlight.

The problem with all the "Smart Antennas" and "Electrically Optimized Antennas " has
always been cost. Metawave discontinued their GSM version of Spotlight do to sagging
sales.

While carriers may save on opex once deployed Wall Street does not acknowledge the
incremental savings over the years. Wall Street is fixated on capex reduction from
carriers who have spent billions to build these networks. .Carriers have not made a huge
commitment to this technology Verizon, Sprint, Cingular and others have dabbled with the
technology but no one has sworn by it.

Carriers are going "On-Da-Cheap" (Ratchet Down Capex) when it comes to optimization
(Network Performance).  Optimization costs have been slashed, deployment processes have
been trimmed and staffing has been cut. Lucent is notorious for their overpriced "Niche"
products that have a limited audience. This coupled with the late introduction will
probably increase the long list of Lucent DUDs.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&articleId=CA216796&stt=001

==========================================================================
Lucent's Antenna-Tuning Technology Could Help Its Bottom Line

Ocelot, Lucent's technology that enables engineers to tune antennas remotely,
helped the company to win a $400 million contract from China Unicom. Verizon
Wireless in the U.S also uses the technology that works with networks other
than those built with Lucent equipment. The ability to tune antennas remotely
can save companies 10 percent and 20 percent in network deployment costs,
and can cut the time it takes to roll out networks. Ocelot competes with
products from Nokia, Ericsson, Marconi, Motorola and Schema. Another
product from Lucent, its NetInventory software, inventories network components
and analyzes how they are linked. The software analyzes equipment from any
vendor

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/