Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NYPD Fits Fireguards on Crown Vics

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:35:04 -0500

NYPD Fits Fireguards on Crown Vics

............
Jamie Schram and Clemente Lisi
Courtesy of The New York Post

Updated: 01-07-2003 10:43:08 AM

The NYPD has stepped up efforts to prevent their Ford Crown Victoria patrol
cars from exploding in rear-end collisions by installing safety shields over the
car's gas tank, police officials said yesterday. The Police Department said it has
installed the safety device in dozens of cars and that all of its 1,439 cruisers will
be retrofitted with the shield.

The move comes a month after a New York state trooper was killed in Yonkers
when his parked cruiser burst into flames after it was rammed from behind by an
out-of-control SUV.

New York State Police said last week they would install the shield in all of their
Crown Victorias.

The car's safety has come under fire since 13 police officers have been killed
over the last 20 years nationwide following rear-end collisions.

Critics call the car a deathtrap because its gas tank is wedged between the trunk
and the rear axle - a flaw they say can lead to fires following a collision.

While most of the city's 11,412 yellow cabs are Crown Victorias, the Taxi and
Limousine Commission has reassured passengers there is no reason to be
"alarmed" about the car's safety.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/