Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Consensus Plan On Spectrum Still Faces Opposition

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:48:41 -0500

Consensus Plan On Spectrum Still Faces Opposition

BY MARK ROCKWELL
JANUARY 15, 2003
WIRELESS WEEK

Washington— Details of Nextel Communications' revised plan to shift 800 MHz
spectrum users to other frequencies contains a pledge to commit $850 million to
the cause–a substantial jump in its original proposal of $500 million. And
opponents still aren't happy about it.

The revised 150-page plan, filed in mid-December at the FCC, was made publicly
available for the first time on its Web site in early January. Nextel, along with a
laundry list of 13 other public safety and industry organizations and companies,
filed the plan as the so-called consensus party plan to reorganize the jumbled
800 MHz spectrum.

But the plan still hasn't addressed the underlying necessity of moving 800 MHz
spectrum licensees, according to Jill Lyon, vice president and general counsel at
the United Telecom Council, a group that represents utilities and other critical
infrastructure companies. Utilities and other infrastructure groups are heavily
invested in private radio networks that are centered on the 800 MHz spectrum.
They are loathe to give up spectrum because, they say, they need all they can
get.

UTC, while acknowledging the Nextel plan is an attempt to answer UTC concerns,
remains skeptical. "The complexity of the plan is evident," Lyon says. "But why
does it need to be done that way?"

The plan is, indeed, a complex undertaking. Along with Nextel, co-planners
include the International Association of Chiefs of Police; the International
Association of Fire Chiefs; the National Sheriff's Association; the Association of
Public-Safety Communications Officials; the International Municipal Signal
Association; American Mobile; Telecommunications Association; the American
Petroleum, Personal Communications Industry Association, and the Taxicab,
Limousine and Paratransit Association, among others.

The newly filed plan provides further details on funding, timelines and mechanics
of shuffling users around to accommodate everyone more efficiently, says Nextel
and others. The plan also outlines how Nextel and 800 MHz incumbents would
relocate to 700, 800 and 900 MHz, as well as 1.9 GHz bands–where Nextel wants
to obtain licenses. The companies propose realigning the 800 MHz spectrum, for
instance, in two phases–clearing incumbents from channels 1-120 and moving
public safety systems to channels 1-120. A committee composed of private
wireless and public safety licensees and Nextel would oversee the relocation. The
"retuning" among incumbent public safety and private wireless licensees in the
band would take place over a 42-month period after the FCC's approval,
according to Nextel and the consensus party.

To cut down interference, the plan also separates land mobile spectrum into two
blocks: a 20 MHz contiguous channel block for public safety, private wireless and
SMR licensees and a 16 MHz contiguous channel block for commercial operators.

Nextel had said in December that it would pledge $850 million to the cause and
the revised plan was filed at the commission on Dec. 27. The new plan is up for
public comment until Feb. 3, according to an FCC spokeswoman. Reply
comments are due Feb. 18. In exchange for funding the moves, Nextel is
looking for the FCC to give it a 10 MHz block of spectrum at 1.9 GHz.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&articleid=CA270763&spacedesc=Departments&stt=000