Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E911 Service Lagging in New York State

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:45:28 -0500

E911 Service Lagging in New York State

Counties in New York are slowly introducing technology that gives location
information on calls to 911 emergency services from cell phones. According to an
March audit by the state comptroller's office, $162 million in fees have been
collected from phone users to establish cell phone location technology for
emergency calls statewide. According to the audit, the money was used for
other purposes. Now, the state has increased surcharges on wireless service
and more than a dozen counties have added surcharges in efforts to raise money
to deploy the technology. Monroe County is working to implement what the FCC
calls Phase I technology in which a cell phone caller's phone number and the
location of the nearest cell phone tower are sent to the emergency dispatch
center. Orleans, Livingston and Genesee counties are working on Phase II
technology that sends the caller's cell phone number and location information to
within a few hu ndred feet. Nextel customers in Cattaraugus County who have
Global Positioning System-capable cell phones can now be located by
emergency dispatchers to within a few hundred feet.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/