Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Siemens Study: Two-thirds of Americans Focus On Wireless Phone's Cost

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:25:14 -0500

Siemens Study: Two-thirds of Americans Focus On Wireless Phone's Cost
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
JANUARY 21, 2003

Wireless phone and networks maker Siemens says the cost of a wireless phone is
the top criterion Americans use when picking a handset.

A new survey by the company turns up a few no-brainer conclusions as well as
some insights into how men and women view their phones and service through
different lenses.

Siemens says 66 percent of survey respondents listed cost as the top trait that
attracted them to their phones, followed by ease of use (62 percent) and
functionality (59 percent). Brand reputation was named by more than half of
respondents, trailed by appearance (37 percent) and 'personality' (20 percent).

Preferences based on those qualities diverged sharply between men and women.
Some 72 percent of the women surveyed said price is the most attractive factor of
a phone, while 65 percent of men listed a phone's variety of functions as the most
important attribute. Only 32 percent of women were attracted to their phone
because of its looks, while 42 percent of men respondents listed looks as
important. Typical, eh?

There also were some demographic insights. Siemens says respondents aged
55-64 most commonly described their phones as 'plain and practical' and 'dull and
annoying.' Younger respondents' top two descriptions were 'plain and practical'
and 'cute and friendly.'

The margin of error in the November 2002 survey was plus or minus 4 percentage
points.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=01/21/03

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/