Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Jan 17, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:17:40 -0500

U.S. Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) announced his top priorities for
the upcoming legislative session, and they include E911 as one of
his "centerpiece" tasks. Burns chairs the Senate Communications
Subcommittee, which has lots of power over communications-related
issues. During a press conference, Burns mentioned 10 items that
he called his "NexGenTen Tech Agenda." He said that spam, spectrum
and E911 would take center stage before the summer, while other
issues will include broadband, wireless privacy, universal
service, and "digital democracy."

--------------------------
The California Chapter of NENA has begun a battle to change the
hearts and minds of the state's 911 agency over how local agencies
are reimbursed for 911 expenses--and they seem to be rounding up
support from public safety-related companies and other advocacy
groups. The battle was sparked by the proposed transfer of $51
million from the 911 fund to the California Highway Patrol, which,
in the group's words, "would result in an implosion to the 9-1-1
System in California." In a letter to the state 911 agency, the
group said in rather dramatic fashion:

"If this travesty of the State 9-1-1 System is allowed to proceed
unopposed, the inevitable fact is that in 2004 when a California
resident dials 9-1-1 in a life or death emergency, the only
response they will get is a recorded voice saying, 'The number you
have dialed is no longer in service.'"

--------------------------
OK, so it's not as exciting as Phase II--but it's just as
mandatory, according to the FCC. Jabco Corp. now has a
software-based program to help monitor your radio tower lighting,
power, temperature, etc., which you may now be monitoring via a
commercial service. The Windows-based software provides alarms and
complete logging, as well as notification via phone or pager as
required. Surf:

http://www.alarmsoft.com

--------------------------
Software developer Valor Systems has been named a Microsoft
Solutions Partner. According to a company press release, "This
represents a major move for Microsoft, which is now clearly
entering the business of public safety software via business
partners." Valor said the deal highlights, "the quality of
ValorCADÔ dispatch software for police and fire departments." Bill
Rendina, president and CEO of Valor, explained, "Our consistency
with Microsoft style guides, databases, and development tools
creates a reliable product which is easy to learn for anyone with
experience on Microsoft applications."

------------------------------------------------------------------
------
U.S. Senators Ernest Hollings (D-SC) and John Edwards (D-NC) are
pushing legislation to extend the current Emergency Alerting
System to include--get this!--automatically turning on TVs and
other devices to alert citizens of emergencies. The bill would
require the Commerce Department to develop new technologies to
issue warnings based on the National Weather Service system, which
is decoded by EAS equipment at broadcast and cable stations.
"There are a lot of folks in this country who have no idea what
they are supposed to do if an attack occurs," said Edwards. The
Hound says...let'em dial 911 like they do now.

--------------------------
The Hound thanks Robert in Erie County (NY), who clarified the
earlier blurb about their new radio system. Naturally, the $16,000
mentioned probably bought consulting services from RCC
Consultants--not the radio system itself. The complete 800 MHz,
digital, trunked system with in-building coverage, mobile and
portable radios, UHF paging and links to lots of PSAPs, will total
out at about $35-50 million.

================================================
Send us your news to [email-masked] or fax (510)
558-3109

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/