Subject: [NEXTEL-1] T-Mobile and Lucent Technologies to Jointly Launch 3G UMTS Pilot Project

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:47:03 -0500

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Jan2003/4747.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

T-Mobile
and Lucent Technologies to Jointly Launch 3G UMTS Pilot Project

21st
January 2003

Lucent
Technologies and T-Mobile launched a joint pilot project to evaluate
secure high-speed data services using third-generation (3G) Universal
Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) technology.

Inset
is Carlos Mira, President Mobility Europe, Lucent Technologies and who
is quoted below.

The
pilot, which will involve enterprises in the Nuremberg region, will
demonstrate how business customers can benefit from secure, high-speed
data mobile services and integrated end- to-end enterprise applications.

This pilot network
will leverage experience and expertise gained from the development of
the Lucent UMTS network at its facility in Nuremberg.

Under the agreement,
Lucent will supply T-Mobile with its Secure Mobile Data Solutions for
Enterprises (SMDSe) offer, a pre-integrated package of hardware and
software designed to enable business customers to use their laptop PCs
or PDAs to access -- from any location -- all the applications they
normally use with the same level of security and performance they typically
experience in their office.

A key component
of this end-to-end solution is the 3GlobeTrotter™ UMTS wireless
modem PCMCIA card -- jointly developed by Lucent and Option -- which
supports high-speed data connections on laptops, PDAs and other mobile
devices. Late last year, Lucent and Option completed the first data
calls using the 3GlobeTrotter cards at Lucent's labs in Nuremberg, where
substantial development work on the cards has been done.

Lucent's SMDSe offer
also incorporates software tools that enable an enterprise user to quickly
and easily activate high-speed mobile data services, and solutions to
support seamless roaming from the 3G UMTS network to wireless local
area networks.

"Lucent's solution
offers us an ideal opportunity to further extend and enhance our present
offer for business customers," said Thomas Heilen, manager of product
management for T-Mobile. "Already today our customers can easily
access their data via the GlobeTrotter™ wireless modem PCMCIA
card for GPRS. Using 3G UMTS and WLAN will help them do their work while
on the move more easily, quickly and efficiently."

Also included in
the pilot network is Lucent's UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network
(UTRAN) -- comprised of the Flexent® OneBTS™ base station
and Flexent Radio Network Controller - as well as Lucent's core packet
switching network offer, including the Super Distributed Home Location
Register, a Bell Labs Research innovation that manages customer information
for both voice and 3G data services.

"The commercial
deployment of secure high-speed mobile data services will help T-Mobile
offer a range of new capabilities to their enterprise customers,"
said Carlos Mira, president of Lucent Mobility Solutions in Europe.
"T-Mobile continues to be a leader in the introduction of cutting-edge
wireless services in Europe and we are pleased to be able to help them
deliver a truly compelling 3G service to their business subscribers."

Over the past two
years, Lucent has sponsored in-depth studies that revealed significant
pent-up demand for secure, high-speed mobile data access among European
businesses, and also identified the key features that business users
demand from such services. These studies showed that third-generation
(3G) mobile operators will be in an ideal position to take advantage
of the new revenue opportunity high-speed mobile data represents, particularly
in the business market, which is characterised by high subscriber loyalty
and a willingness to pay for premium services.

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

StarHub
Goes Straight to 3G WCDMA

StarHub
stands by its announcement that it is our belief that Singapore would
benefit most by allowing mobile operators here to make their own decisions
about when and how to implement 3G services.

Datang,
Philips and Samsung Form 3G TD-SCDMA Joint Venture

Royal
Philips Electronics and Samsung Electronics Co. (Q.SSE) of South Korea
said they had formed a joint venture with a Beijing-based company to support
China's homegrown third-generation, or 3G, mobile technology.

3G
Operation Costs Reduced For Orange

The
network enhancements will support increases in the volume of voice, video,
and data traffic and significantly reduce operational costs as Orange
rolls out its third-generation (3G) service offerings.

Adult
Material To Lead 3G Take Up

Pornography
is likely to be among the main uses that will drive demand in the early
days of ultra-fast mobile phones, the chief executive of porn empire Private
Media Group said Monday.

T-Mobile
and Lucent Technologies to Jointly Launch 3G UMTS Pilot Project

Lucent
Technologies and T-Mobile launched a joint pilot project to evaluate secure
high-speed data services using third-generation (3G) Universal Mobile
Telecommunications System (UMTS) technology.

Teleca
integrates 3’s 3G Operations Support Systems

Teleca
announced that it has been selected by 3 to install, integrate and customise
parts of its Operations Support Systems in Sweden.

Hutchison
3G to Use Cramer for Network Inventory in Sweden

Cramer
Systems today announced that 3, the European 3G leader backed by Hutchison,
will use Cramer's award-winning network inventory solution for 3's Swedish
network.

Austrian
Wireless Games Liven Up

handy
games, one of the leading german software developers, is now supplying
the austrian mobile entertainment market with games as well. customers
of sms.at and mobilkom.at can access an extensive portfolio of exciting
mobile phone games.

KTF
May Not Be Ready With 3G WCDMA Launch

KTF
reported that they would need to review a plan to launch its 3G WCDMA
network which is currently scheduled for full scale launch in June this
year. It has been indicated that may be delayed.

TM
Cellular Awaits Decision From MMC On 3G

Telekom
Malaysia's cellular network operator, TM Cellular Sdn Bhd, which provides
the TMTOUCH service, is awaiting decision from the Malaysian Communications
and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) on the third generation (3G) spectrum.

H3G
Sees 30,000 handsets Distributed Mid-Feb

Hutchison Whampoa Ltd's H3G third generation mobile unit intends to distribute
30,000 terminals to shops from mid-February for the launch of services,
said an H3G spokesman.

3G
FOMA Handset Offering Video Clip e-Mailing

NTT
DoCoMo announced that the N2051 3G handset, which offers extended stand-by
time and the ability to e-mail video clips, will go on sale January 23,
2003.

Finnish
Ice Hockey Goes Wireless

Sonera
and the Finnish ice hockey league (SM-liiga) have jointly created a mobile
service by which hockey fans receive real-time information on their mobile
phones about the events and scores from all SM-liiga rinks. The service
is available immediately.

SR
Telecom Adds 3G Technology To Portfolio

SR
Telecom acquisition that positions it to capitalize on identified opportunities
for fixed applications in its core customer base. The product does not
require additional development prior to its first commercial sale and
SR Telecom intends to commercialize the product through its existing global
sales network.

Japan's
KDDI to Establish Wireless Affiliate in Guangzhou, China

The
new company, to be established in January through KDDI's 100%owned subsidiary,
KDDI Hong Kong, will be called KDDI Guangzhou Corporation (KDDI Guangzhou).

New
LG 3G CDMA 2000 1xEV-DO Phone

LG
introduced its cutting-edge IMT-2000 color mobile phone ‘HX2’,
featured with powerful built-in digital camera function to Korean Market.
HX2 embedded 300,000 pixel (VGA grade) camera to support serial photographing
and video filming.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.