Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lake County, Illinois ON THE "PLAN"

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:38:55 -0500

Office of the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission
445 12 th Street S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20554

RE: WT DOCKET NO. 02-55

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Consensus Parties and the WTB:

As a member of APCO and Administrator of a Public Safety Radio System, I am appalled that
these i?Supplemental
Commentsla do not readdress the migration of Public Safety licensees. As you all know,
Public Safety
communications are vital to the health and welfare of citizens to which they serve. With
the war on terrorism being a
major concern of public welfare, I am concerned that a publicly planned disruption in
Public Safety communications
would open the door to those that wish to inflict terror in our communities. Please revise
the ihConsensus Planls to
include provisions that will not include a migration of Public Safety licensees.

I would suggest Public Safety maintain their current channel allocation and extend the
allocation to include the
lower portion of the 800 MHz band (806-824 / 851-869) for ioPublic Safety Onlyly and with
3MHz of ifGuard Bandl?
on each end of the block of channels. Nextel, private wireless, H-SMR, B/ILT and other
LMR™s systems interleaved
in that block of channels should be required to move above or below the guard band or move
to 700 or 900 MHz.
I™m sure Public Safety would not mind giving up the proposed 700 MHz allocation. This may
not be the best
solution to the interference problem but at least it does not require the migration of
Public Safety licensees.
I agree with the ihSupplemental Commentlm on stronger interference standards but I would
like it to include the
reinstatement of mandatory FCC certification for LMR radio technicians and engineers. This
would ensure that
transmitters and receivers are correctly maintained and designed to meet the new
standards.

Dont get me wrong, I extend my gratitude to the organizations of the Consensus Parties for
all their hard work on
the plan and in the resolution of the 800 MHz interference issue but I strongly feel that
a Migration
Reconsideration should be included in the plan for Public Safety.

Garry R. Gorr
Communications Administrator
Lake County, Illinois

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6513404784

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/