Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sixty Percent of Enterprise Customers Want Wireless Wide-Area-Network

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:48:08 -0500

http://www.flarion.com/newsroom/flarion_01_13_03.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

print-friendly
version

Sixty Percent of
Enterprise Customers Want Wireless Wide-Area-Network Connectivity Solutions
to Provide a 'LAN-Like' Experience, According to latest Yankee Group
Report - January 13, 2003

Compatibility with corporate IP
networks, broadband speed and low latency are key requirements for wireless
access technology

BEDMINSTER, New Jersey, USA, (Jan. 13, 2003) - Flarion
Technologies, the architect of the 'IP friendly' flash-OFDM mobile broadband
system for mobile operators, today announced the key findings from the
Yankee Group report, "Bridging LANs with Wireless WANs: Overcoming
Technology Challenges for Wireless Data." The report, commissioned
by Flarion, found that an overwhelming 60 percent of corporate enterprise
customers would prefer to wait for the availability of a wireless WAN
technology that meets enterprise requirements for: network reliability,
speed, compatibility with existing LANs, security, device compatibility,
and ubiquity of coverage and network latency.

"The demand for wireless data within the enterprise
is already there, however market growth is currently being stifled by
technical barriers which include compatibility with existing LANs and
devices, security, ubiquity of coverage, and network latency,"
said Phil Marshall, director of Wireless research with The Yankee Group.
"Current wireless WAN networks are inherently unreliable, particularly
for IP (Internet Protocol) data largely because these existing cellular
air interfaces are adaptations of a transmission medium that has been
optimized over the years for circuit-switched voice services. For wireless
data to really take off, mobile operators and infrastructure vendors
need to make wireless more friendly to corporate networks.”

Key findings from the report found:

Currently, there are no commercial networks available
from licensed mobile operators that offer a LAN-like experience.

60 percent of respondents would prefer to wait
for the availability of a WWAN technology that meets their requirements,
rather than deploying an inadequate solution.

98 percent of respondents would recommend a LAN-like
WWAN technology to their management.

88 percent cite operational cost savings as being
a business benefit of this type of solution

42 percent anticipate new business and sales opportunities.

The report also identifies the key applications driving
the need for a wide area wireless provider. The leading wireless data
applications for enterprises include:

Remote access to specific corporate data or applications
(91%)

Wireless email and calendar access (80% and 63%)

Workforce automation (56%)

Browsing and Web services (44%)

Customer facing applications (43%)

Furthermore, the report found that in moving to an
all-packet switched transport infrastructure, wireless LAN to WAN, there
would be a 10-15 percent savings derived by corporate customers from
using a WWAN technology that requires minimal changes to existing LAN
environments.

"The Yankee report underlines the inherent demand
that exists for a next generation wireless solution that offers voice
and data over an all-packet switched network, end-to-end," said
Mike Gallagher, president, Flarion Technologies. "Today's circuit-based
wireless technologies were built to carry voice traffic, but do not
scale to the data demands of the enterprise for data."

With Flarion's IP friendly flash-OFDM technology,
mobile operators can seamlessly connect corporate LANs with a wireless
Wide Area Network with the speed and low packet latency that exceed
stringent corporate network requirements. This, along with large-scale
IP Quality of Service (QoS) control, enables mobile enterprise users
to experience comparable performance, security and bandwidth allocation
as they would in an office on a shared Local Area Network (LAN) environment,
without making any modifications to user settings, applications, protocols,
content or devices.

Key findings from the Yankee Report: "Bridging
LANs with Wireless WANs: Overcoming Technology Challenges for Wireless
Data," is available at www.flarion.com
and reference data from other mobile and wireless reports from The Yankee
Group can be found at www.yankeegroup.com

About Flarion Technologies

Flarion Technologies is mobilizing the Internet
with its innovative mobile communications network technology. Flarion's
flash-OFDM™ Flarion's technology, which originated in Bell Labs,
enables mobile operators to profitably offer Internet Protocol (IP)-based
broadband services. For mobile operators, Flarion’s technology has the
lowest cost per broadband subscriber as compared to any mobile system
in the world, using only 1.25MHz of paired spectrum (FDD). Flarion's
RadioRouter™ base station product easily overlays onto an operator's
existing network and radio spectrum, and provides a seamless routing
interface to the operator's existing IP network. Flarion’s flash-OFDM-based
devices provide users wireless Internet access with a true broadband
experience. Flarion Technologies is based in Bedminster, New Jersey
(USA). The Company has been named as the #1 company on Unstrung’s “Top
25” in and “Top 10 to Watch” by Red Herring Magazine in 2002. Investors
include Bessemer Venture Partners, Charles River Ventures, Cisco Systems,
Equitek Capital, New Venture Partners II LP, Nassau Capital, Pequot
Capital and SK Telecom. More information about Flarion can be accessed
at www.flarion.com