Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Timmy Dines In Chi-Town

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:23:05 -0500

Dillard's downfall was death penalty reform
Source: Chicago Sun - Times
Publication date: 2002-12-15
Arrival time: 2003-01-03

It's called playing hardball. It's a good bet state Sen. Kirk Dillard, who lost
his battle to succeed Senate President James "Pate" Philip by one vote,
was tanked for sponsoring Gov. Ryan's package of death penalty reforms.

*Fact: The charge against Dillard and for new Senate Minority Leader-elect
Frank Watson was led by state Sen. Ed Petka, who is known as "Electric
Ed" because he keeps a model of "Old Sparky," the electric chair, on his
desk. (Petka is a former Will County state's attorney.)

*Fact: The deciding vote against Dillard was by fellow DuPage County state
Sen. Peter Roskam, who was the sponsor of the GOP's watered down
death penalty reforms.

So now you know.

Maria, Maria . . .

Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas is verrrrrry serious about running for
the U.S. Senate. Hello, Carol . . . Carol Moseley- Braun.

The rain man . . .

What was Jerry Taft thinking?

Sneed was baffled when another newspaper quoted the WLS-Channel 7
weather guy out of context for shouting "Hey, Joe, pick me!" to his old boss,
Joe Ahern, during a gathering of TV execs the other night.

So here's what REALLY happened: Sun-Times TV columnist Robert Feder,
who was serving as moderator and grand inquisitor at the Chicago Television
Academy event, tried pressing the general managers on the panel to name
the one person they'd most like to steal from a competing station.

Ahern, who's been busy raiding talent for WBBM-Channel 2, repeatedly
refused to answer Feder's question. That's when Taft, standing in the back
of the packed room at Spago, yelled out his "Pick me!" line. The crowd
roared.

Said Ahern: "I'll get to you later!"

Retorted Emily Barr (Taft's current boss at Channel 7): "No, you won't!
Jerry's mine! All mine! Right, Jerry?"

Taft to WMAQ-Channel 5 boss Larry Wert: "Hello, Larry!"

Wert: "I love you, too, Jerry!"

Take note. Wert got the last word.

I spy . . .

Actor Jason Patric, who was once this/close to actress Julia Roberts, and
who is in town to promote his latest movie, "Narc" with Ray Liotta, stopped
in Tavern on Rush Wednesday evening. . . . Actor Adrien Brody dined at
Gibsons this week. . . . TNT analyst Mike Fratello dined at Tavern on Rush
with actor/director/ writer Harold "Animal House/Ghostbusters" Ramis. .. .
Nextel CEO Timmmy Donahue spotted dining at Phil Stefani's 437 Rush. . . .
Former Cub Gary Matthews and son Baltimore Oriole Gary Matthews Jr.
doing double duty at Tuscany on Taylor.

Tips & twaddle . . .

*Actress Jamie Lee Curtis, 44, who had the guts to display her flabby midriff
in a magazine, has been named one of Ms. magazine's "Women of the
Year."

*Actress Nicole Kidman, who reportedly will play actor Leonardo DiCaprio's
mother in the "Alexander the Great" film epic, may return to the London
stage. The Brit press claims she is in negotiations to star in Ibsen's "The
Lady from the Sea."

*Actress Gillian Anderson, who is appearing on the London stage, is
marrying a Brit, former Financial Times journalist Julian Ozanne, next
August in Italy.

Merry, merry . . .

Oh, ho ho ho. . . . Business exec Dick Klarchek, who tosses one posh
Xmas bash, went all out this year in order to showcase his new bride,
Michelle, whom he recently married in Rome. Spotted sprouting amidst the
bower of flowers were Anne and Ed Burke, Steve Lombardo, the Rev. John
Costello, Neil Bluhm, John Norcross and David Gilbert. Sadly missed was
Dick's close friend, the late, great Eppie "Ann Landers" Lederer, who held
court in Dick's baronial abode.

Sneedlings . . .

Retiring state Rep. Judy Erwin was just named senior veep at Res Publica
PR group. RP prez Guy Chipparoni is happy, happy, happy. . . .
Condolences to Kay Quinlan on the recent death of her beloved sister Mary
Concagh. . . . Condolences to Jahan Ara Hussain and Shaukat Ara
Aleemuddin on the recent death of their beloved brother Helal Ansari. . . .
Today's birthdays: Don Johnson, 53, and Tim Conway, 69. Monday's
birthdays: Liv Ullmann, 63; Steve Bochco, 59; Benjamin Bratt, 39, and
William Perry, 40.

Publication date: 2002-12-15

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35599744&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/