Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ad Review Craziness: Nextel Launches Review

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:35:50 -0500

Ad Review Craziness: Nextel Launches Review - AOL
Fires Gotham and Launches Review

AOL announced today they are dumping Gotham as their agency and will launch a review. Why?
Suprise, surprise, AOL just
hired a new EVP of marketing. If that's not the surest sign of a pending review, I don't
know what is.

Unlike the Nextel review, Gotham was not invited to participate in the pitch. Just as
well. Like I said below, the incumbent is
rarely the victor. But you know what? The timing couldn't be better on this one, Mullen.
Screw Nextel, go for the AOL
account.

[via AdWeek]

Steve Hall 1/10/2003 permanent link comment here

It's Official: Nextel Launches Ad Review

In typical advertising fashion, Nextel has launched an agency search just as incumbent
Mullen's new campaign is kicking off.
Seems as though the timing could have been better. Why is it that whenever a client wants
to reconsider their marketing
direction, the easy answer is a review? Why don't Nextel and Mullen work together and
jointly evaluate recent marketing
programs as they relate to current market conditions. That would seem to be a logical
first step. If the two had a good working
relationship, this could easily happen.

Interestingly, Nextel is saying that all is well with Mullen. So why is Nextel having this
review?. Why have a review if the
relationship and the business are fine? This whole thing is so obvious. Client's have a
reviews because they are not happy with
their current agency. All this talk from Nextel about things being fine with Mullen is
just cover. Obviously, Nextel is not happy.

Mullen will, of course, participate. Too much is at stake. However, unlike politics, the
incumbent rarely, if ever wins. It's always
an uphill battle.

Having said all that, I hope Mullen wins. Just to prove the whole thing was a waste of
time, effort, and money.

http://adrants.rantworks.com/archives/2003_01_01_archive.html#90169586

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/