Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC, Powell To Step Up Roles In 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 18:46:47 -0500

FCC, Powell To Step Up Roles In 2003

It's no secret that Federal Communications Commission
Chairman Michael Powell would like to see more consolidation in the
telecom industry. It's also no secret that the commission took a
passive approach in 2002 when it came to issuing rulings on
hot-button issues like line sharing and open access. Though
Powell's position hasn't changed, the commission is showing signs
of being more aggressive this year in tackling such problems.

One reason for the agency's re-ignited enthusiasm might be that it
is now back to a five-member commission with the recent addition
of Commissioner Jonathan Steven Adelstein. Another reason might
be that the FCC fast approaching a number of its own rulemaking
deadlines.

Adelstein's presence will probably have little impact on slowing the
Republican-dominated FCC's push to loosen government regulation.
The real battle for this commission will be whether Powell can
continue to convince Commissioners Kathleen Abernathy and Kevin
Martin to follow his lead.

Look for the battles to get hotter as we get closer to the kickoff of
the upcoming presidential election campaign.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/