Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC, POWELL TO STEP UP ROLES IN 2003 -

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:27:35 -0500

FCC, POWELL TO STEP UP ROLES IN 2003 -
It's no secret that Federal Communications Commission Chairman
Michael Powell would like to see more consolidation in the
telecom industry. It's also no secret that the commission took
a passive approach in 2002 when it came to issuing rulings on
hot-button issues like line sharing and open access. Though
Powell's position hasn't changed, the commission is showing
signs of being more aggressive this year in tackling such
problems.

One reason for the agency's re-ignited enthusiasm might be that
it is now back to a five-member commission with the recent
addition of Commissioner Jonathan Steven Adelstein. Another
reason might be that the FCC fast approaching a number of its
own rulemaking deadlines.

Adelstein's presence will probably have little impact on
slowing the Republican-dominated FCC's push to loosen
government regulation. The real battle for this commission will
be whether Powell can continue to convince Commissioners
Kathleen Abernathy and Kevin Martin to follow his lead.

Look for the battles to get hotter as we get closer to the
kickoff of the upcoming presidential election campaign.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/