Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Forecasts a Brighter 2003 -but sales of the company's iDEN walkie-talkie phones were down

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:49:05 -0500

January 22, 2003
Motorola Forecasts a Brighter 2003

By  Carmen Nobel

Although Motorola Inc. expects sales to slow down in the first quarter after a relatively
successful holiday season, it is expecting 2003 to be a much better year than 2002.
The Schaumburg, Ill., company expects to see sales increases in its personal
communications systems segment; commercial, government and industrial solutions segment;
semiconductor segment; and integrated electronics systems segment, officials said in a
conference call on Wednesday.

Motorola will roll out several new phones in 2003, the majority of which will have color
screens and many will have integrated cameras, officials said.

For its commercial, government and industrial solutions segment, the company expects to
benefit from the United States' homeland security initiative as well as an expected
increase in the demand for two-way radios, officials said.

   The integrated electronic systems segment includes the unit that sells electronics for
automobiles, and Motorola is hoping to see an increase in the demand for telematics.

Sales declines are expected in the global telecom solutions and broadband communications
units. Officials said they expect wireless infrastructure industry revenue to decline 6
percent to 12 percent in 2003.

In general, 2002 was a tough year for Motorola, but not as bad as 2001.

On Tuesday, the company posted for the fourth quarter of 2002 a net profit of $174
million, or eight cents per share, compared with a loss of $1.2 billion, or 55 cents per
share, for the same quarter last year.

Sales of the company's CDMA (code division multiple access), TDMA (time division multiple
access) and GSM (global system for mobile communications) phones were up compared with a
year ago, but sales of the company's iDEN walkie-talkie phones were down. Officials blamed
this on inventory adjustments from Nextel Communications, the main carrier of iDEN phones.

For the full year, Motorola posted a $2.5 billion net loss, compared with the $3.9 billion
loss the company suffered in 2001.

 http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a=35997,00.asp

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/