Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Alliance promotes Wi-Fi ZONE brand name for global service availability

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:48:45 -0500

Wi-Fi Alliance Announces 
Wi-Fi ZONE Global brand 
for Public Access Services

By Staff
Jan 10, 2003, 2:24pm

The Wi-Fi Alliance (http://www.wi-fialliance.org/OpenSection/index.asp) announced the
first phase of a global program to promote the availability of public access services
around the world. The primary goals of the program are to create a globally recognized
brand for public access services, set a minimum quality standard and to improve users'
ability to find Wi-Fi enabled locations. A new Web site for the Wi-Fi ZONE program
(http://www.wi-fizone.net/)  has been established to allow qualified providers who submit
their application by March 31, 2003, to sign up to the program at no cost through March
2004. The second phase of the program will be rolled out in the first quarter of 2003 and
will be open to users. This phase will include a Web site designed to locate Wi-Fi ZONEs
around the world.

"Wi-Fi continues to grow in popularity around the world. As a result, we have received
many requests to use the Wi-Fi logo as an indicator of public service availability. To
meet this demand, the Wi-Fi Alliance developed the Wi-Fi ZONE logo and program," said
Dennis Eaton, Chairman of the Wi-Fi Alliance. "Although this market holds great potential,
there are dozens of public access service brands around the world making it difficult for
people to identify where Wi-Fi public service is available. Our goal is to provide a
reliable indicator that will allow customers to identify service providers who are
committed to a common standard of quality. We also expect the Wi-Fi ZONE brand to be used
in conjunction with the local provider's brand - allowing the local brand to become even
better recognized. Looking down the road, we plan to increase the requirements for Wi-Fi
ZONE program participation as the market matures," continued Eaton.

The Wi-Fi Alliance is launching this program at this time because 2003 is shaping up to be
a year for significant growth of the Wi-Fi public access market with the entrance of
several large organizations. Adding to the growth of the market is a rapid pace of Wi-Fi
product sales and the increasing percentage of laptop computers that have Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
products built-in. 

http://www.wirelessarena.com/artman/publish/article_1117.shtml

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/