Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Spectrum Policy Must Include Non-commercial, Critical Infrastructure Concerns

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:39:52 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 28, 2003

FCC's Spectrum Policy Must Include Non-commercial, Critical Infrastructure Concerns

WASHINGTON

The United Telecom Council (UTC) applauded the FCC's initiative in
rethinking its current spectrum policies. In comments on the FCC's
Spectrum Policy Task Force (SPTF) Report, UTC supported innovative
ideas and the breakdown of outdated regulatory barriers, but urged
policies that would increase spectrum availability for critical
infrastructure (CI) organizations. The increased demand for
spectrum that the SPTF report documents is causing congestion and
interference in bands that CI use for routine and emergency
communications. CI currently has no dedicated spectrum allotted
for its use.

Among the key issues: the different requirements inherent in
spectrum used for mission-critical systems, the implementation of
advanced, more efficient technology, and the alleviation of
interference in existing bands by the development of new
quantitative standards for interference. UTC urged codification
and enforcement of basic principles of accountability that require
licensees to fix the interference they cause.

"The SPTF report is only the first step in re-examining spectrum
management, but it's an important one," noted Jill Lyon, UTC Vice
President and General Counsel. "Those implementing new policy must
carry through on the recognition that 'one size doesn't fit all,'
and must allocate spectrum on other grounds than economics. That
includes to critical infrastructure, which can't provide basic
services to all Americans without reliable spectrum."

UTC's comments noted that utilities and other critical
infrastructure providers continue to examine and invest in new
technology, from digital wireless to unlicensed applications. They
are also interested in new regulatory models, especially those
that encourage spectrum sharing among compatible users, like CI,
public safety and some federal agencies.

Founded in 1948, UTC represents the telecommunications interests
of electric and gas utilities, water companies, gas pipelines and
other critical infrastructure entities, along with their
technology partners. UTC is a global federation of direct business
members and affiliated trade associations representing over 10,000
organizations serving all corners of the world and virtually every
community in North America.

#

For More Information, Contact
Mark Gedris
1.202.833.6809
[email-masked]

http://www.utc.org/index.v3page?a_v=ra&a_vh=false&a_mid=33871&p=26
6

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/