Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Georgia College & State University Secures Wireless Networks

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:56:37 -0500

Georgia College & State University Secures Wireless Network for
Entire Campus Plus Community 'Hot Spots' with Meetinghouse
Solution
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-01-07

PORTSMOUTH, N.H.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 7, 2003--Meetinghouse
Data Communications, Inc., a leading developer of network authentication
software for wired and wireless local-area networks, announced today that
Georgia College & State University (GC&SU) has deployed to all of its
wireless users copies of its AEGIS Client software product to provide 802.11
standards-based security for its Wireless LAN (WLAN). The innovative
WLAN deployment extends beyond the campus out to the surrounding
community with "hot spot" coverage at popular gathering places, making
strong security a must.

Network security on college campuses is a critical concern. In addition to
student grades and other records, the business side of the university must
be protected from unauthorized access. One of the things often heard when
discussing wireless network deployment is the threat of unauthorized
access. "War driving" - as it's been called. This is when hackers roam
around with wireless NIC cards looking for unprotected wireless networks.
Based on the IEEE 802.1x authentication standard, Meetinghouse's AEGIS
client/server software provides end-to-end user authentication in both
wireless and wired LANs and guards against war driving and other potential
attack methods.

"AEGIS uses several different authentication methods, including dynamic
re-keying of encryption keys," said Dr. Wolfgang, the CIO of GC&SU. Dr.
Wolfgang continued, "Because the encryption keys are not static, it is
much more difficult to crack than older static WEP encryption method. I'm
confident that GS&SU has a very secure wireless network, perhaps one of
the most secure wireless networks in the country."

GC&SU's success in securing the WLAN with Meetinghouse's AEGIS
software solution enabled deployment beyond the campus out to community
areas frequented by students, faculty and staff, such as a popular local
cafe, a community swimming pool, and other sites. The WLAN
infrastructure was extended by simply deploying and securing additional
wireless access points (WAPs).

"Meetinghouse is excited to be involved in helping to secure this very
innovative Wireless LAN," said Anthony Delli Colli. "The use of secured
community "hotspots" in the overall configuration shows real vision and
demonstrates how Wireless LAN technology can be leveraged to improve
the lives of college staff and students."

About Meetinghouse Data Communications, Inc.

Meetinghouse Data Communications, Inc. is a leading developer of
advanced network security and authentication products. Founded by
networking industry veteran, Dr. Paul Goransson, Meetinghouse has
developed security software for many leading global network equipment
manufacturers including: Nortel, Hewlett-Packard Company, Sprint, and
others. The company is known for its technical expertise, high-quality
products, and for being an outstanding business partner with the highest
ethical standards. The company is headquartered in Portsmouth, NH. For
additional information please visit the company website at
http://www.mtghouse.com or call 603-430-7710.

Publication date: 2003-01-07

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35695037&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/