Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 80211Planet - "Hotspotzz, HP Provide Wi-Fi at Sundance"

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:58:17 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Anthony Townsend <[email-masked]>
Subject: 80211Planet - "Hotspotzz, HP Provide Wi-Fi at Sundance"

Hotspotzz, HP Provide Wi-Fi at Sundance
  By  Eric Griffith

Movie people need Wi-Fi, too.

That's why Salt Lake City, UT-based Hotspotzz,    a division of IKANO 
Communications (the folks behind the Internet services at    the 2002 
Winter Olympic Games) will be making sure the wireless access is in    
place for the downtown denizens of Park City, UT in time for the annual 
Sundance Film Festival.

The annual festival of independent film makers hoping for a break, 
studios    looking to buy their films, and stars both big and unheard 
of, was founded by    actor/director Robert Redford. It is currently 
under way through January 26.    Access during the duration of the 
festival is free to all users with an 802.11b-enabled    laptop with 
DHCP turned on so the computer can receive an IP address automatically. 
    The SSID of the network is "hotspotzz" if the wireless card can't    
automatically detect it.

The company will have personal on hand at the areas of Main Street, 
Prospector    Square and Kimball Junction in Park City, where the 
access points are located,    to hand out flyers and help with access 
problems.

IKANO isn't the only company on hand providing Wi-Fi access -- in fact, 
they're    not even the officially sanctioned hotspot provider for the 
festival. Sundance    has a deal with HP Wireless Hot Spot    Zone, 
located in the Sundance House at the Kimball Art Center and the 
Sundance    Digital Center, both on Main Street. The HP network uses an 
SSID of "sundance"    and organizers recommend users implement DHCP to 
obtain an IP address. Once    connected, opening a Web browser will 
take you to HP's BBSM server splash page    which will lead out to the 
Internet. This service will also be free to attendees.

Last year, HP was also on hand at Sundance, providing 500 Jornada 
PocketPCs    to VIPs and staff with wireless Internet access; the 
network for 2002 was run    by FluxNetwork using Symbol Technologies    
(Quote, Company Info) equipment.

Back in August, IKANO bought out the WiFi Metro wireless ISP service 
owned    by former hotspot darling hereUare. WiFi Metro had 40 public 
access points in    San Francisco, Seattle, and Chicago and was known 
for areas called 'hotzones'    that would blanket entire city 
neighborhoods with an 802.11-based 'cloud' for    public access, areas 
that were used in part to launch the Hotspotzz brand.

Hotspotzz now runs over 110 wireless venues in the cities above as well 
as    Los Angeles, San Diego, and Boston.

The usual cost for accessing a Hotspotzz hotspot range from $2.95 per 
hour    (offered using a one time use scratch card, also available in 
4- and 24-hour    versions) to $19.95 per month for subscribers. 
Subscribers can also use Hotspotzz    dial-up service.

  January 17, 2003

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/