Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ITA Responds to Spectrum Policy Recommendations

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:39:04 -0500

ITA Responds to Spectrum Policy Recommendations

ITA has joined with the industry in filing the first round of
Comments on the FCC's spectrum
management policy recommendations contained in the Spectrum Policy
Task Force Report, released last fall.

The FCC's spectrum management recommendations include:

-- Move toward more flexible, market-oriented policies.

-- Transition away from the traditional "command and control"
policy model.

-- Adopt "exclusive use" and the "commons" models.

-- Improve spectrum efficiency.

-- Quantify and manage interference on a band-by-band basis.

ITA noted in its Comments that private wireless licensees need
protection under the command-and-control spectrum usage model that
is currently being used. Transitioning to a market-oriented
approach, such as the exclusive-use model, may not meet the needs
of internal business communications. ITA further stated that
licensees' rights and responsibilities need to
be clearly defined upfront for any market-based spectrum policies
to thrive.

ITA stressed the importance of interference avoidance for private
wireless operations over the concept of maximum efficiency, but
suggested that flexibility and secondary markets could play a role
for private wireless communications
under a command-and-control model.

To see a copy of the Spectrum Policy Task Force Report, visit the
following web site:  http://tinyurl.com/54yj

http://www.ita-relay.com/News/News-head19.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/