Subject: [mobile-ip] 2nd CFP: EURO-PAR 2003 - Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing

From: Karin Anna Hummel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:45:31 +0100

********************************************************************
  *                                                                *
  *                      2nd Call for Papers                       *
  *            (Submission Deadline: February 9, 2003)             *
  *                                                                *
  *                     Euro-Par 2003 - Topic 15                   *
  *                 Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing                *
  *                                                                *
  *                      Klagenfurt, Austria                       *
  *                      August 26-29, 2003                        *
  *                                                                *
  *              http://europar-itec.uni-klu.ac.at/                *
  *                                                                *
********************************************************************

  * Description

      The development of small and powerful computing devices and,
      simultaneously, of wireless, mobile communication systems
      offers a great variety of new applications, summarized under
      the name of Mobile Computing. The phenomenal growth of those
      mobile computing devices, together with current trends in
      embedded systems and software, real-time interaction and
      omnipresent wireless networking fertilises the formation of a
      Ubiquitous Computing landscape, in which digital environments
      are aware of the presence of users, sensitive, adaptive and
      responsive to the users needs, habits and emotions and
      ubiquitously accessible for the user via natural interaction.

      This topic solicits papers dealing with the following mobile
      and ubiquitous computing elements: mobility, ubiquity,
      awareness, intelligence, and natural interaction. Mobility
      addresses solutions that help to make time, geographic, media
      and service boundaries less and less important. Ubiquity
      refers to a situation in which we are surrounded by a
      multitude of interconnected embedded systems, which are
      (mostly) invisible and moved into the background of our
      surrounding (workplace, building, home, outdoor). Awareness
      refers to the ability of the system to recognise and localise
      objects as well as people and their intentions. Intelligence
      refers to the fact that the digital surrounding is able to
      adapt itself to the people that live in it, learn from their
      behaviour, and possibly recognise as well as show emotion.
      Natural interaction finally refers to advanced modalities like
      natural speech- and gesture recognition, as well as speech-
      synthesis, which will allow a much more human-like
      communication with the digital environment than is possible
      today.

      The aim of the topic is to bring together, at Euro-Par 2003,
      computer scientists an engineers in the areas of wireless
      networking, mobile computing, and ubiquitous computing in
      order to present and share their ideas about the design and
      analysis of ubiquitous computing environments and the
      challenges imposed by the applications of mobile and
      ubiquitous computing.

  * Focus

      Mobile/wireless computing infrastructure
      Communication in mobile networks
      Mobility and QoS management
      Ad-hoc and personal area networks
      Media access techniques and terminals
      Ubiquitous/pervasive computing software architectures
      Ubiquitous access and context computing
      Smart devices and smart spaces
      Intelligent environments
      Sensors and actuators
      Positioning/tracking/authentication systems and technologies
      Mobile/ubiquitous/wearable computing scenarios
      Location-dependent/personalized wireless applications
      User interfaces and interaction models

  * Chairs

      Global Chair
           Prof. Max MC<hlhC$user
           FG Telekooperation
           TU Darmstadt, Germany
           Email: [email-masked]

      Vice Chairs
           Prof. Azzedine Boukerche
           Department of Computer Sciences
           University of North Texas, USA
           Email: [email-masked]

           Karin Anna Hummel
           Institute for Computer Science and Business Informatics
           University of Vienna, Austria
           Email: [email-masked]

      Local Chair
           Prof. Alois Ferscha
           Institute for Practical Computer Science, Software Group
           Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
           Email: [email-masked]

  * Euro-Par Mission and Details

      Euro-Par is well established as the premier annual European
      conference on all aspects of parallel and distributed
      computing. The conference normally attracts more than 300
      participants coming from universities, research centres and
      industry. Euro-Par 2003 will represent major themes in the
      categories of hardware, software, algorithms and applications.

      In common with previous years, Euro-Par 2003 will be organized
      as a number of parallel sessions on 19 topics for which papers
      are solicited.

  * Submission Details

      All accepted papers will be available at the conference in the
      proceedings published by Springer-Verlag in the LNCS series.

  * Submission Key Dates

      Online submission site open: January 10, 2003
      Final date for submission: February 9, 2003
      Notification of acceptance: May 1, 2003
      Camera ready version: May 25, 2003

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
karin anna hummel

Institute for Computer Science and Business Informatics
University of Vienna

phone: +43 1 4277 38464       http://www.informatik.univie.ac.at
----------------------------------------------------------------