Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Arundel begins cellular phone donation effort

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:00:09 -0500

Arundel begins cellular phone donation effort
National program aids domestic abuse victims

By Dan Harsha
Sun Staff
Originally published January 29, 2003

Anne Arundel County officials began participation yesterday in a national
program intended to collect unwanted wireless phones, refurbish them and
donate them to victims of domestic abuse.

The goal is to gather 300 wireless phones from nine collection centers
around the county through April 30. The effort is being jump-started by a
donation of 25 phones - complete with limited emergency service - from
Nextel Communications Inc. and Motorola Inc.

"Victims of domestic violence feel themselves in danger," said State's
Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee, who joined with Sheriff George F.
Johnson IV to announce participation in the Call to Protect program.
"Having a phone can help alleviate that danger and allow them to have a
normal life."

Weathersbee described a case his office prosecuted last week in which an
Annapolis resident used a wireless phone donated through another local
program to call 911 after being threatened by her boyfriend, against
whom she had court proceedings.

Call to Protect was established in 1996 by members of the Cellular
Telecommunications and Internet Association, Motorola and the Wireless
Foundation, the CTIA's corporate philanthropic wing.

"To date nationwide, we've placed 30,000 phones in the hands of
domestic violence victims," said Nick Sample, the Nextel area vice
president.

Donate a Phone, a companion program established by the Wireless
Foundation, Motorola and the National Coalition Against Domestic
Violence, refurbishes and sells unwanted wireless phones and uses the
proceeds to support victims of domestic violence and other charitable
activities.

Johnson said Anne Arundel County decided to take part in the Call to
Protect program because of the large number of domestic violence cases
handled each year. About 1,450 domestic violence incidents were
reported in 2001, the most recent year data is available, resulting in 1,165
arrests.

Weathersbee added that half of all homicides in the county are the result
of domestic violence, including six deaths last year.

In addition to the program announced yesterday, Anne Arundel County
residents have access to other national programs that use communications
technology to help domestic violence victims.

Verizon Wireless works with the Maryland Family Violence Council
through the HopeLine program to use the proceeds from the sale of used
wireless phones to purchase new handsets, which are given to victims of
domestic violence along with free airtime, according to Jodi Finkelstein,
director of the center.

While the program in Maryland started last summer, it has operated
nationwide since 1995, giving 4,000 phones to victims of domestic abuse.

The home security company ADT Security Services Inc. also sponsors a
program that places home security systems - along with panic alarms - in
the homes of domestic abuse victims in 160 communities across the
country, including Anne Arundel County.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/