Subject: [mobile-ip] resolution for issue 192: "authz in SPD or MIPv6?"

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:16:22 +0100

This message proposes a resolution for issue 192:
MN-HA IPsec: "authorization in SPD or MIPv6?"

The chairs have seen that there has been much debate publicly
on the mailing list since October 28 (and privately even before
that).

After all that debate there are still doubts as to how
exactly the "authz in MIPv6" variation will work, and whether
it does have all the claimed advantages.

Given we must ship the document soon, we must make a decision
now. At this moment we believe the best course of action is to
defer (not annul) the debate by moving forward with the
current "authz in SPD" method. This has the following
advantages:

- It is known to work as it was tested during the
   recent ETSI bakeoff (no such testing has been done
   with the "authz in MIPv6" method).
- We do not impact the current text
   as it has been written with this method in mind.
- We do not eliminate the possibility of continuing to
   work on the "authz in MIPv6" method. This can (should)
   continue, but the specification may now proceed at leisure
   without encumbering the current MIPv6 schedule. If and when
   the "authz in MIPv6" method is fully specified, the WG
   can decide whether to add it as another possible HA-MN
   IPsec configuration solution, have it replace the
   current "authz in SPD" solution, etc.

Raj and Gabriel