Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless enters Wi-Fi arena with Wayport deal partners with Dell; reports Q4 results

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:39:52 -0500

AT&T Wireless enters Wi-Fi arena with Wayport deal partners with Dell; reports Q4 results

1/28/03

Hot spot provider Wayport yesterday announced a new partnership with AT&T Wireless that
will give the
carrier's subscribers access to the WISP's nationwide Wi-Fi network. AT&T Wireless
subscribers will not have
the option to add Wayport's service to their account for a set monthly fee. AT&T's
agreement with Wayport
indicates a change in the carrier's wireless data services strategy, which until now
revolved around
next-generation networks. This deal marks AT&T Wireless' formal entry into the Wi-Fi
arena. The carrier's
landline relative, AT&T, is involved in the creation of Cometa Networks, a start-up that
plans to build-out a
national Wi-Fi network and resell its network to existing and new WISPs. T-Mobile was the
first U.S. wireless
carrier to jump on the Wi-Fi bandwagon when it acquired bankrupt hot spot provider
Mobilestar. Wayport has
been busy with deals this week. The company also inked a marketing agreement with Intel
earlier this week.

AT&T Wireless also announced a partnership with Dell Computer that will bundle the
company's wireless wide
area service with the PC maker's new notebooks. Enterprise customers will be able to buy a
modem and software
from Dell and register through AT&T Wireless for wide-area GPRS network services. Dell now
offers access to
Wi-Fi networks in many of its notebooks. This is Dell's first deal with a wireless wide
area carrier.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/