Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: This is What P25 is really About

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:38:44 -0500

------ Original Message --------
   From: John Powell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: This is What P25 is really About

If you are in the business of fighting terrorists or drug dealers, or at the scene of an
incident where the media is broadcasting your every move to the bad guys, it is very
appealing.  If you need to get gate access codes to secure communities out to volunteer
firefighters who are responding to a life-threatening situation inside of those gates, the
residents of those communities think that secure communications is pretty important.
There was never a guarantee to our citizens that they be able to hear what happens on the
airwaves.  Nor is their a requirement that public safety not choose the best suited
technology to support their operations just so the public can hear what they are doing.
That said, responsible public safety officials will keep non-critical communications
unencrypted so that they are available to the public, but the public is responsible for
keeping up with the technology.  Thanks Uniden.

At 12:17 PM 1/21/2003 -0500, John Harlow wrote:

> What percentage of you found it appealing that P25 conversations weren't available to
> the general public (until now; thanks Uniden...) ?
>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/