Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Service Monitors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:09:07 EST

Ed, Is correct the 2975 Does all he says it does. However you must understand 
it is in fact the Motorola service monitor. Motorola  would not license its 
propriitary proticols. Therfore the reason The GD Thing supported those 
protccols early. And at  the most ridiculous costs in the industry. Its a 
very good but overprce for the software add ons.

As far as ease of use field repairable NOTHING BEATS THE HP's We have one of 
most everthing and we have 10 of the HP8920s . We are buying of the GD Things 
to keep up with the Motrola protcols. PS I dont sell service monitors but i 
do rum seminars on test equipment and iwe tell it like it is. Bruce Marcus 
CTO  Marcus Communications LLC , N1XG

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:50:06 -0500

See below-

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Ed, Is correct the 2975 Does all he says it does. However you must understand it is in
> fact the Motorola service monitor. Motorola  would not license its propriitary
> proticols. Therfore the reason The GD Thing supported those protccols early. And at  the
> most ridiculous costs in the industry. Its a very good but overprce for the software add
> ons.

Yes- Anything with M on is $$$$. Sometimes you just gota pay the price.
In 1995 I got the 2660A for 25K for iDEN. Then the 2660B for 28.5K Now I use the 2660C
29.K

They once told me $2K for a Software Flash, I raised so much hell they did it for free.
A rep called me last week and asked if I was ready to up grade to the 2660D for $30K + . I
laughed and hung up since I don't use it as much as I did before. But Since they are the
only iDEN game in town I'm stuck.

The IFR was less than $25K (and better lease terms than Moto) and has all the bells and
whistles and is easier to operate.
It also goes to 2.7 Ghz so I can look at raw Bluetooth, Wi-Fi stuff.  The nice thing is
you can control it over a LAN or WAN, so the tech drops it at a site and you do all  your
testing from the office.

Yes- Moto has all the Crypto stuff but half the agencies that use it can't keep all their
radios loaded with the same key long enough to make it effective. Key management is
lacking. Bottom line is they are both good units, both have draw backs

>
>
> As far as ease of use field repairable NOTHING BEATS THE HP's We have one of most
> everthing and we have 10 of the HP8920s . We are buying of the GD Things to keep up with
> the Motrola protcols. PS I dont sell service monitors but i do rum seminars on test
> equipment and iwe tell it like it is. Bruce Marcus CTO  Marcus Communications LLC ,

HP is the way to go the 89XX is the only tool for Cellular & PCS, they don't mess around
with the 2-way stuff. It is as solid as a rock.

We had a couple a Cingular and Primeco (aka Verizon) they had all the options and was over
30K. I never had one break so I don't know about reparability.

Service monitors are like cars some people like Chevy some like Ford.