Subject: [NEXTEL-1] What's New @ IEEE in Communications, January 2003]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:44:13 -0500

WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE IN COMMUNICATIONS

VOLUME 4          NUMBER 1         JANUARY 2003

1. What's Right with Telecom? - An IEEE Spectrum Special Report
2. IEEE Communications Magazine Examines Advances in QoS
3. Despite Successes, Telemedicine's Future Clouded with Questions
4. U.S. Sees 70% Increase in High-Speed Internet Subscribers
5. IEEE Sets Standard for Communicating in Transportation Emergencies
6. IEEE Infocom Comes to San Francisco
7. New Service Provider Summit Added to OFC Conference Program
8. Be Recognized - Submit a Paper to IEEE ComSoc Journals and Magazines
9. IEEE Member Newspaper Publishes Online Exclusives in 2003
10. At Least 22,000 People Access IEL Each Hour of the Day
11. IEEE Delivers Information in New Ways for New Year
12. What Does The Future Hold for Three Major Telecom Technologies?

***************************************
SHOP THE IEEE ONLINE CATALOG & STORE
The Definitive Source for IEEE Products
<http://shop.ieee.org>
***************************************

1. WHAT'S RIGHT WITH TELECOM? - AN IEEE SPECTRUM SPECIAL REPORT
Everybody complains about telecom, but is anyone doing anything about it?
It turns out that enough new ideas may already be in the pipeline for
telecom to shed the effects of its broken business models and crippling
debt sooner than many think, according to IEEE Spectrum senior associate
editor Steven M. Cherry. "What's Right with Telecom" examines what looks
promising in the industry: Wi-Fi wireless local-area networks, new
cellphone services such as text messaging and sending photos, home
broadband connections, combination cellphone/PDAs and still higher-speed 3G
networks. Read more:
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jan03/solu.html>

And if you're looking for a complete picture of how telecom got into its
current unhealthy state, industry consultant Peter A. Bernstein spells it
out in an accompanying article, "What's Wrong with Telecom."
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jan03/comm.html>

2. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE EXAMINES ADVANCES IN QoS
Advances in quality of service (QoS) and network architectures to support
emerging multimedia applications are the focus of the January issue of IEEE
Communications Magazine. In this issue's guest editorial, the editors
explain there is a growing need for a technology that allows providers of
networks and services to interact with users seamlessly for the sale and
delivery of a wide range of services with guaranteed quality of service
(QoS). This issue presents five carefully selected, peer-reviewed papers.
The guest editorial is accessible to all readers at:
<http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/public/2003/jan/index.html>

IEEE Communications Society members can access all of the articles listed
at the above address. For information on joining the IEEE Communications
Society, visit <http://www.comsoc.org>

To add this publication to your IEEE membership, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/addnewservices>

3. DESPITE SUCCESSES, TELEMEDICINE'S FUTURE CLOUDED WITH QUESTIONS
Futurists foresee a time when patients will be able to talk to medical
experts far and wide over the Internet. But myriad legal and technical
challenges must be overcome before telemedicine gains a foothold in
mainstream medicine. Terry Costlow looks at how the Veterans Administration
and the nation's prisons are already taking advantage of distance medicine,
in the December issue of IEEE-USA Today's Engineer.
<http://www.todaysengineer.org/Dec02/telemedicine.htm>

4. U.S. SEES 70% INCREASE IN HIGH-SPEED INTERNET SUBSCRIBERS
Seventy percent more subscribers in the U.S. flocked to high-speed Internet
connections over the past year, according to the U.S. Federal
Communications Commission's biannual report. Due largely to the increasing
popularity of cable modems and DSL connections, the number of U.S.
broadband subscribers jumped to 16.2 million as of June 2002, up from 9.6
million a year earlier.
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-978172.html>

5. IEEE SETS STANDARD FOR COMMUNICATING IN TRANSPORTATION EMERGENCIES
When incident commanders lack vital information about the materials
involved in transportation emergencies, they typically turn to online
databases for the answers they need. A new IEEE standard, IEEE 1512.3 (TM),
"Standard for Hazardous Material Incident Management Message Sets for Use
by Emergency Management Centers," provides a common framework for these
communications.
The standard addresses data collection on hazardous and non-hazardous
substances from databases maintained by shippers, carriers, fleet and
freight management centers, and other parties. For more details, visit:
<http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/15123std.html>

This standard is now available from the IEEE Online Catalog & Store:
PDF: <http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=SS95018>
Softcover: <http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=SH95018>

6. IEEE INFOCOM COMES TO SAN FRANCISCO
The 22nd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications
Societies (Infocom) will be held 30 March to 3 April 2003 in San Francisco,
California, USA. The conference will bring researchers and practitioners of
every aspect of data communications and networks together to present the
most up-to-date results and achievements in the field. Infocom 2003 is held
in conjunction with the Workshop on High-Speed Networking 2003 and IEEE
OPENARCH events. For more information, visit:
<http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2003/>

IEEE sponsors more than 300 technical conferences and workshops each year,
highlighting the latest technological advances. Find events through
the IEEE ConferenceSearch Web site at:
<http://www.ieee.org/conferencesearch/>

NEW RELEASE: The proceedings of the 11th International Conference on
Computer Communications and Networks is now available from the IEEE Online
Catalog & Store. <http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=EX594>
***What's New Special - Use Code WNI for 15% Off - order instructions
below***

7. NEW SERVICE PROVIDER SUMMIT ADDED TO OFC CONFERENCE PROGRAM
A daylong program complementing the 2003 Optical Fiber Communications
Conference & Exhibit's exhibit and technical sessions will take place 26
March 2003 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The Service Provider Summit features
customized programming built around the questions and challenges facing
today's service providers. Program highlights include a keynote
presentation by Bill Smith, Chief Product Development and Technology
Officer, BellSouth Corp., and several panel discussions. To learn more
about the Summit and to take advantage of cost-saving advanced registration
rates, visit: <http://www.ofcconference.org/service_provider_summit.cfm>

8. BE RECOGNIZED - SUBMIT A PAPER TO IEEE COMSOC JOURNALS AND CONFERENCES
The IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) encourages telecommunications
professionals and students alike to submit papers to IEEE Journals and
Conferences. IEEE ComSoc sponsors publications, conferences, educational
programs, local activities, and technical committees that foster original
work in all aspects of communications science, engineering, and technology.
For a list of current submission opportunities and deadlines, visit
<http://www.comsoc.org/e-news/2002/dec/index.html#CFPS>

9. IEEE MEMBER NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES ONLINE EXCLUSIVES IN 2003
The Institute, the IEEE member newspaper, will publish 16 issues this year:
four print newspapers and 12 online-only editions. The first online-only
issue has just been published. Quarterly print issues will arrive in the
mail beginning with the March issue of IEEE Spectrum. New online editions
of The Institute will be published by the 7th of every month, and IEEE
members will receive an email alert when each issue has been posted.
Members who have not already received the alert may sign up for the service
by providing an email address at the "Update Your Address or Contact Info"
link at:
<http://www.ieee.org/membership>

Read the first online issue now at <http://www.ieee.org/theinstitute>

10. AT LEAST 22,000 PEOPLE ACCESS IEL EACH HOUR OF THE DAY
Each month, every hour, an average of at least 22,000 people worldwide
access the IEEE/IEE Electronic Library (IEL), the IEEE's flagship online
technical article collection. At peak hours, the average number of users
handedly surpasses 70,000. The peak hour of use is 1AM EST, reflecting
efforts of the IEEE to form university consortia in countries around the
world, making access to all IEEE and IEE journals, conference proceedings
and standards more affordable. To learn more about the IEEE/IEE Electronic
Library and how it can benefit your institution, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/products/onlinepubs/iel/iel.html>

IEEE members have exclusive full-search capabilities and may view abstracts
of all IEL content. To learn more about IEEE online technical information,
visit the IEEE Xplore website at:
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org>

11. IEEE DELIVERS INFORMATION IN NEW WAYS FOR NEW YEAR
In 2003, IEEE will deliver technical information to its members and
customers in several new ways. New collections available this month include
the IEEE Information Technology Library for institutions and the new option
available to IEEE members, the IEEE Member Digital Library. Also this
month, IEEE added select content published between 1950 and 1987 to the
IEEE Xplore online delivery platform, contributing about 85,000 documents
to the nearly 900,000 already available. And coming up in April, IEEE will
introduce the new IEEE Biomedical Engineering Library. To find out more
about these new IEEE Online collections, please visit the following sites:
IEEE Information Technology Library: <http://www.ieee.org/ieeeitel>
IEEE Member Digital Library: <http://www.ieee.org/ieeemdl>
IEEE Biomedical Engineering Library: <http://www.ieee.org/ieeebel>

12. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR THREE MAJOR TELECOM TECHNOLOGIES?
In "Understanding SONET/SDH and ATM Communications Networks for the Next
Millennium," a book from IEEE Press and John Wiley & Sons, noted author
Stamatios V. Kartalopoulos previews future trends of three major
technologies: SONET, SDH and ATM. This introductory text provides
practicing engineers, managers, and students with everything from an
overview through the latest developments for each of these technologies.
Learn more about this reference tool at:
<http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=PP5399>
***IEEE members receive a 15% discount on Wiley-IEEE Press titles***

***WHAT'S NEW SPECIAL - 15% OFF SELECT IEEE PRODUCTS LISTED IN THIS ISSUE!
***
As a thank you to WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE subscribers, our readers receive a
15-percent discount on the purchase of any of the specially noted books and
conference proceedings listed in this newsletter. When ordering from the
IEEE Online Catalog & Store, located at <http://shop.ieee.org>, include the
code WNI in the special instructions field at "final checkout." If ordering
by phone, provide the code WNI to your customer service representative.
Offer expires on 31 Dec. 2003.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/