Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ban urged on monitoring of rental car drivers

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:28:31 -0500

Ban urged on monitoring of rental car drivers

Christopher Hoffman, Register Staff January 29, 2003

HARTFORD — The state’s consumer affairs chief urged lawmakers Tuesday at a legislative
hearing to outlaw the use of satellite technology to fine rental car customers for moving
violations.

The bill is a reaction to Acme Rent-A-Car of New Haven’s practice of using Global
Positioning System equipment to charge customers $150 every time they drove faster than 79
miles an hour for more than two minutes.

The state Department of Consumer Protection last year ordered the company to stop and to
refund about $13,000 in fines collected under the policy. The company has appealed the
ruling to Superior Court.

"Having a car rental company, in essence, become a traffic cop is not what this
legislature wants," Consumer Protection Commissioner James T. Fleming said told the
General Law Committee. "What I’m asking the legislature to do is to put into statute to
make it clear that this is not the policy of this state."

Fleming said that the bill would provide a backstop for consumers if a judge overrules his
decision.

State Attorney General Richard Blumenthal also endorsed the proposed law, saying that
consumers needed protection against intrusive technology.

Acme’s lawyer, Max Brunswick of New Haven, called the legislation "stupid." Brunswick
strongly defended his client’s practice, saying it saved lives and reduced wear and tear
on rental vehicles.

"It doesn’t do anything unless you speed," said Brunswick, who didn’t attend Tuesday’s
hearing.

Brunswick warned that Blumenthal and Fleming could end up with blood on their hands if the
measure becomes law.

"Sooner or later, when they pass this law, innocent people are going to be killed on the
highway," Brunswick said.

The bill would prohibit rent-a-car companies from using GPS or similar technology to
assess fines for moving violations.

It would also ban the companies from selling or distributing any information about a
specific person obtained through GPS technology. Brunswick said that his client doesn’t
object to that part of the bill.

The proposed law goes on to recognize that car rental companies may use satellite
technology for certain purposes, such as finding a stolen vehicle.

Several Republican lawmakers, however, expressed sympathy for Acme’s position. State Rep.
Leonard C. Greene, R-Beacon Falls, said he believed that Acme owners had a right to charge
such a fee to prevent dangerous driving by customers.

"What is wrong with a company doing this?" Greene said. State Sen. David J. Cappiello,
R-Danbury, also appeared to question why companies couldn’t levy such charges.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6856275&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=31007&rfi=6

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Nitin J. Khanna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:34:32 -0500

Hello All,

I am looking for a database of RF related studies. One that shows the
amount of dB loss when a RF waves pass through various materials. I
would appreciate any help.
Please help

Thanks,
Nitin