Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Jan. 15, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:52:35 -0500

On the witness stand during the first day of testimony in a hearing for sniper suspect
John Malvo: Rockville (Md.) dispatcher Amy Lefkoff recounted the Nov. 15 telephone call
she fielded from a man claiming to be the sniper, and how she referred the man to the FBI
task force. A logging recorder tape of the call was played during the hearing in a Fairfax
County (Virg.) courtroom to determine if Malvo, 17 years-old, should be tried as an adult.
Nine other witnesses appeared on Tuesday, including the husband of one of the victims.

--------------------------
The Hound was dead wrong about APCO's position on ACN devices being routed directly to
PSAPs. The resolution adopted by their Board of Officers in December resolves:

"That APCO is not in favor of requiring direct connect from Automatic Crash Notification
(ACN) devices directly to Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP) through
legislative/regulatory mandates."

--------------------------
It's a hoot! During the FCC's recent open commission meeting, there were presentations by
senior agency officials about the agency's strategic plan and a comprehensive review of
FCC policies. The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB), which handles most of the
public safety issues, presented their 2002 accomplishments and their 2003 goals. In
general: WTB has 88 employees in the Public Safety & Private Wireless unit, they've
recovered over 33,000 frequencies through their spectrum audit, and they processed almost
600,000 license applications (224,000 new apps). It's a quick--and enlightening--read.
Download an Acrobat (pdf) version at:

http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/presentations/2003/011503/wtb.pdf

--------------------------
Some NENA news: They accepting for the volunteer position of 911 Center Operations
Liaison, who will chair the group's Operations Development Conference and work with the
NENA Executive Board, staff, and committee chairs to develop standards to be used in the
operation of 911 centers. According to NENA, the ideal candidate will have actual
experience in the operation of a 911 center, the ability to work with volunteer committees
and committee structure, be results oriented and able to work towards, and meet,
deadlines, and have the ability to communicate goals and do necessary follow up. The
deadline is Feb. 11, so send resumes to:

NENA 1st President Richard Taylor
[email-masked]
(252) 672-7580.

--------------------------
Meanwhile, the Emergency Telephone System Board (ETSB) of St. Clair County (Ill.) is
seeking a consultant for a professional services agreement to assist the 911 Coordinator,
"to refine and reissue an existing Computer Aided Dispatch RFP and to assist the
Coordinator in the review of all responses to the RFP." For a copy of the RFP, contact by
Feb. 11th:

Norman Forshee, 9-1-1 Coordinator
101 South 1st Street, Belleville, IL 62220
or (618) 277-7316, ext. 106
or [email-masked]

--------------------------
Metrocall Wireless Inc. has sold Fairfax County (Virg.) 600 additional alphanumeric
wireless devices for its patrol and administrative force, now equipping the entire
department. The company notes that the agency used its Metrocall devices extensively
during last year's sniper shootings. Most of the devices are one-way pagers, but some
personnel have two-way messaging capabilities.

--------------------------
Harry Marnell swears it won't be a full-time, year-long task, but the Hound doesn't
believe it-- he's posted the LAPD's new digital radio system channel and frequency
configuration, and is asking for updates from scannerists or others in-the-know. Surf:

http://members.cox.net/kma367/LAPDnew.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/