Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Indeed it was compromised by a man in Alaska pointing out that our web computer had a little-used and non-patched vulnerabilit

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:31:19 -0500

http://www.defensivethinking.com/press/defthi-hacked.htm
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

MEDIA RELEASE

February
10, 2002

KEVIN MITNICK/DEFENSIVE
THINKING WEB SITE HACKED

Contact:

Alex Kasper

Defensive
Thinking

1100 Glendon Ave, 17th Floor

Los Angeles, CA 90024

(310) 689-7228
– Fax (310) 689-7272

[email-masked]

The
company web site of famed hacker Kevin Mitnick (www.defensivethinking.com) was
compromised early last week by a man in Alaska pointing out that the web system had a
little known vulnerability. A patch was applied within 2 hours of discovery.

The
compromised computer is a public system on a network separate from production
systems at Defensive Thinking. No customer information was released nor was in
danger of being compromised.

“From
the moment we launched we’ve seen a daily, consistent and significantly more
complex than average number of network vulnerability attacks coming from almost
every country.” said Mitnick

“I
suppose if you were a young hacker and wanted to prove your skills, this is the
place to go. It reminds me of the movie ‘The Gunfighter.’” he added.

Being
such a public target offers an unexpected benefit to customers of Defensive Thinking:
all attacks are investigated and cataloged giving the company a unique
perspective on current attack methods – many of which are unpublished and
unknown by system and software manufacturers.

- 30 -