Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. Ambassador to World Radiocommunication Conference 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:40:44 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

February 5, 2003

U.S. Ambassador to World Radiocommunication Conference 2003

Washington, D.C. --  Yesterday the President announced his
intention to appoint Ms. Janice Obuchowski as the United States
Representative to the 2003 World Radiocommunication Conference
(WRC 2003), for which she will carry the rank of Ambassador.
Selecting Ms. Obuchowski for this important post is a major step
forward in strengthening United States leadership in the
international spectrum sphere as WRC 2003 approaches.

FCC Chairman Powell said "The President has selected an able,
seasoned leader to represent the United States at WRC-2003.
Increasing economic globalization coupled with technologies that
are not limited to national boundaries make international
negotiations a critical component of spectrum policy-making.  Ms.
Obuchowski's experience in government and the private sector, as
well as her extraordinary expertise, diplomacy and vision, ensure
that the U.S. delegation will be positioned to build international
consensus and shape policy outcomes that will affect a vast array
of U.S. spectrum users, including consumers, businesses and
federal, state and local governments.  I look forward to working
with her."

Under the auspices of the United Nations, WRCs are convened to
consider specific radiocommunication matters while ensuring
rational, equitable, efficient and economical use of the
radio-frequency spectrum.  WRC 2003 will take place in Geneva,
Switzerland June 9 - July 4, 2003.  For further information, see
the Commission's website:  www.fcc.gov/ib/wrc-03/.
-FCC-

International Bureau contact:  Chris Murphy 202-418-2373,
[email-masked].

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-230899A1.doc

Janice Obuchowski is an Annenberg Senior Fellow and President of
Freedom Technologies, Inc. She is the former Assistant Secretary f
or Communications and Information and Administrator of the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration in the
U.S. Department of Commerce, where she served as the principal
communications policy advisor to President George Bush. Before
joining NTIA, Obuchowski was the Executive Director of
International Affairs for NYNEX. Until 1987, she was the Senior
Advisor to FCC Chairman Mark Fowler. Other positions that she has
held with the FCC include Chief of the Common Carrier Bureau,
International Policy Division (1982-1983), Legal Assistant to the
Chief of the Common Carrier Bureau (1981-1982), supervising press
and congressional relationships during the deregulation of the
telephone industry. Obuchowski received her B.A. from Wellesley
College and her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center, where
she served as an editor of the Georgetown Law Journal.

http://www.annenberg.nwu.edu/fellows/janice.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/