Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NYC Firefighters Protest Ground Zero Book

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:39:03 -0500

In NYC there are several things you don't mess with:

-"The Boys" Their last name usually ends in a vowel and they are on O.C.C.B's  "Top 10 List"

- Private Sanitation & Restaurant Linen Companies (Owned by those mentioned above)

- FDNY (Da Bravest)

- NYPD (Da Finest)

When the Bravest found one of their brothers they did give more care and attention to the
remains. Remember they (NYPD & EMS also)  ran to danger and not away they deserve it.

If  FDNY can get the All Mighty Rudy Giuliani to conced to their demands
(http://www.lifesaving.com/firefighters/attack/messages/90.html) the publisher does not
have a snowball's chance in Hell to survive this mess. I hope North Point Publishing has
tough skin. Losing money on the book is the least of their worries..........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 25, 10:42 PM EST
NYC Firefighters Protest Ground Zero Book
By CHAKA FERGUSON

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Firefighters on Tuesday demanded that the National Book Critics Circle
withdraw the nomination of a book that accuses fire department members of disrespecting
human remains and looting ground zero after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

More than 100 protesters rallied outside the New School - where the critics will announce
the winners Wednesday - holding signs reading "Lies, Lies, Lies" and "It's fiction, not
facts."

"It should be up for a fantasy award," former fire Chief Daniel Nigro said of "American
Ground: Unbuilding the World Trade Center." The book is one of five finalists for the book
critics award in the general nonfiction category.
The book, by William Langewiesche, has infuriated New York firefighters and others because
it includes a passage relating the discovery of dozens of new jeans from the Gap - still
tagged, folded and stacked - inside the cab of a fire truck pulled from the World Trade
Center rubble.

Sarah Gold, an editor for Publishers Weekly and member of the NBCC board, said the awards
committee had heard the protesters' complaints but would not withdraw the book.

"American Ground" also raises the issue of whether bodies recovered at the site were
treated differently based on whether they were firefighters.

Fire Department of New York Chaplain Christopher Kennan, who worked at ground zero, said
all remains were prayed over, placed on stretchers, draped in American flags and escorted
out of the ruins with an honor guard.

The book is published by North Point Press. The publisher has defended it, saying it was
vigorously fact-checked

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GROUND_ZERO_BOOK?SITE=ORSAL&SECTION=HOME
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/