Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel hesitant to invest in telecommunications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:20:48 -0500

Nextel hesitant to invest in telecommunications

Story Filed: Monday, February 17, 2003 4:11 PM EST

MEXICO CITY, Feb 17, 2003 (Crónica/Corporate Mexico by Internet Securities, Inc. via
COMTEX) -- Nextel's vice
president for development has complained about the conditions of telecommunications in the
country, saying that Mexico is not
a good market for investment. Gustavo Cantú Durán said that the corresponding authorities
have not liberated cellular
frequencies and there is still judicial uncertainty in the sector. For these reasons, he
said, the investments will go to other
countries that have developed more apt conditions. Seven years ago, Nextel Mexico asked
the Transport and
Communications Secretariat (SCT) to sell or auction off cellular frequencies in order to
increase coverage and to facilitate the
introduction of digital services. Cantú stated that the company has received no response
from the Secretariat."This judicial
uncertainty is reversing the investments in the trunking sector," he said. Trunking is the
communication technology that permits a
large number of users to share a relatively small number of communication paths, or
trunks. Nextel seeks to get hold of the
800 MHz frequency because "there exists a great quantity of potential in this bandwidth
that the government has in its
possession and has not managed to release," said Cantú. In 2000, a scheduled auction of
this frequency was cancelled.Despite
Cantú's proclaimed frustration with Mexico, the company has invested more than US$1.50
billion in the country since 1998. In
2002, 60% of its global investment was made in Mexico. Last year, Nextel Mexico increased
its subscription base by 29% (to
reach 517,000 customers) and grossed a record US$142.4 million.

http://library.northernlight.com/FE20030217440000032.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/