Subject: [NEXTEL-1] M/A-Com awarded system up-date contract from City of Ottawa Fire Dept]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:36:02 -0500

M/A-COM to Provide 
Critical Public Safety Communications 
to the Ottawa Fire Department

Canada's National Capital Adds the 
Fire Department to Their Existing EDACS
Radio System, Connecting All City Departments

LOWELL, Mass.
Feb. 11 , 2003

M/A-Com, Inc. a unit of Tyco Electronics and leading manufacturer 
of critical radio systems deployed around the world, was awarded a 
$2.75 million USD contract from the City of Ottawa to implement 
the Fire Department's new Console Dispatch System and to purchase
new radios. 

These new units will be added to the existing City of Ottawa-owned 
800 MHz EDACS (Enhanced Digital Access Communications System) trunked
radio system.  Already used by the City of Ottawa Police and all other City
Departments (including EMS), EDACS serves as the backbone of the city's radio
communications network and provides coverage of the city's 1000 square mile
geographical area.

"The Ottawa Police and the Public Works Department have used M/A-COM's
EDACS system for years with complete satisfaction," said Don McCallan,
Division Chief of Communications, Ottawa Fire Department.  "As a result, it
was a logical choice for us to deploy the same system for performance and
interoperability with other departments.  We are confident that M/A-COM's
EDACS system will provide the same reliable, effective communications that the
other departments have experienced."

The EDACS system provides users with a reliable and trusted solution for
critical communications and has the capabilities to support both current and
future public safety radio needs.  In selecting a radio network, the Ottawa
Fire Department desired a system that would not only enhance communications
for public safety, but one that would also connect with all citywide
departments.

The expanded M/A-COM trunked radio system will ensure mobile and portable
communications for police officers and firefighters, as well as other city
personnel who provide essential services to the public, such as street
maintenance and utility services.  The system will unite over 4000 users
within the citywide departments and will support portable, on-the-street
coverage for an area of the city's entire geographical area.  As part of the
agreement, M/A-COM will provide, assemble and integrate all of the project's
hardware and software as well as provide both user and administrator training.

"M/A-COM is looking forward to expanding the EDACS communications network
for the citizens and public safety community of Ottawa," said Bill Hall,
Account Manager, M/A-COM.  "With the addition of the fire department's system,
the expanded system will significantly improve communications between Ottawa's
city departments.  Moreover, citizens will see the maximum return on their
investment, as the foundation has been laid to meet their future needs."

About M/A-COM

M/A-COM, Inc., a business unit of Tyco Electronics, is a leading supplier
of critical communications systems and equipment for public safety, utility,
federal and select commercial markets.  Products range from the most advanced
IP-based voice and data networks to traditional wireless systems to offer
customers the highest levels of reliability, interoperability, scalability and
security.  M/A-COM is also a recognized leader in the design and manufacture
of radio frequency (RF), microwave and millimeter wave solutions for the
commercial wireless telecommunications, aerospace and defense industries.
Headquartered in Lowell, MA, M/A-COM has offices and manufacturing facilities
worldwide.  Information about M/A-COM can be found on the Web at 
http://www.macom.com or http://www.macom-wireless.com

http://www.tyco.com/news/view.jsp?newsID=520

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/