Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Where's Harold?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:25:22 -0500

Where's Harold?

Gainesville, FL
I have been a continuous reader of Mobile Radio Technology for the past 18 years. The
recent change in the format of MRT has not gone unnoticed. The new format appears to
reflect less emphasis on technical issues. I particularly miss the series under the
heading “TECHNICALLY SPEAKING” authored by Harold Kinley.
It is my fond hope that this is a temporary lapse, which will be corrected in future
issues, so that I can again continue to look forward to receiving issues of MRT magazine.
William J. Kessler, P.E.
Kessler & Gehman Associates Inc.

McCarthy resplies:
I was disappointed when I arrived and learned that Harold Kinley no longer wrote the
column. We asked him if he would consider returning, but he has other plans.
Though it will be difficult to replace Kinley, we do hope to find the right writers to
bring you that type of information in the future.

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_nuts_bolts_lament/index.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:50:49 EST

To all, MRT When MRT asked Don Bishop to resign, the handwritting was on the 
wall ! The also dumped Mercy Contrares! MRT and athe publisher are  on the 
way out they have been dumping magazines and staff to save money. 

I THINK THEY ARE HEADED THE WAY OF COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE AND SOON WILL BE 
EXTINCT

We can only hope that some other publiser picks both Don and Mercy up and 
starts a new magazine.

Bruce Marcus CTO Marcus Comunications LLC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:56:07 EST

Actually, Bruce, while I won't comment on your some of your suppositions 
about the magazine (as I'm not in a position to know), I CAN tell you that 
MRT/IWCE representatives have expressed to me the exact OPPOSITE position 
with regard to the "dumping magazines and staff to save money," at least with 
regard to MRT.

Instead, what they expressed to me (I'm just reporting on the conversations, 
not asserting as to the truthfulness of the information therein) is that they 
are very aggressively seeking to expand the usefulness and value of the 
magazine, and they have (in their belief) brought in some extremely high 
class and capable talent, including Bill McCarthy and Amy Cosper.  In fact, 
some of you may remember Amy, as she used to work for Communications 
Magazine, and was personally trained by Elaine Baugh when she was Editor of 
that mag.

Actually, instead of making it look like they were retrenching, it sounded to 
me like they were trying to kill Radio Resource Magazine, which I write for.

Again, I'm just reporting, not asserting.

Personally, I found the Jim Thompson article in the January 2003 issue on 
802.11 to be extremely informative and well-written.

Alan Tilles

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:38:41 EST

Amen

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:19:25 EST

Well alan I have talked to Mercy and Don about the sujectr at length! Its not 
hersay. The Magazine does not produce enough technical sections that I think 
the Industry needs. I also think they are afraid to comment editorially on 
subject mater going on in the industry. But again thats my opnion. Lets have 
them prove me wrong we need print media that represents us well. Bruce 
Marcus-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:39:43 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2003 9:22:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Well alan I have talked to Mercy and Don about the sujectr at length! Its 
> not hersay. The Magazine does not produce enough technical sections that I 
> think the Industry needs. I also think they are afraid to comment 
> editorially on subject mater going on in the industry. But again thats my 
> opnion. Lets have them prove me wrong we need print media that represents 
> us well. Bruce Marcus- 
> 

I think that you're partially correct, that they're trying to expand to be 
more than just technical, but I believe that if you suggested a particular 
tech. topic that needed to be covered, they'd readily respond.  Further, I'm 
not under the impression that Harold was let go, so if there were another 
willing participant, I'd be surprised if MRT wouldn't be interested.

Of course, here's me talking contrary to the interests of the magazine that I 
actually write for (Radio Resource) in favor of a magazine that has 
repeatedly trashed me over the past four years..... but I did get the 
impression of sincerity from the MRT people, and we shouldn't forget that 
people that have been let go from jobs, for whatever reasons, might have 
cause to talk trash.  I'm not saying they do, but there's always two sides to 
the story.

On the "afraid to comment" part, I guess I haven't seen that from MRT, 
personally, but heck maybe I'll make you a reader of RR out of this!

Alan Tilles

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:12:20 EST

Alan, I read about 15 diffrent publications evry month some I skim, others I 
read in depth. Including the one you write for. By the wat some of my best 
info come frome Aviation Week!  Get ther resource issue it will nock your 
socks off!!

The other thing I forgot to mention is the article on Primemedia in the 
February 6, New York Times Business section. Where I got my info about there 
downsizing to reduce Debt. It talks about them seeling several magazines 
including Seventeen.

Anyway see you at IWCE and I will buy!  Thanks for being involved Bruce

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:57:42 EST

You buying?  WOW!  I'm going to have to work up my drinking muscles for the 
next month.  Last time you bought we were having drinks with Don B. and Debra 
Baker  before an AMTA meeting.  Remember what you said then?  <smile>

Didn't know about the NYT article.  Wonder whether they meant only certain 
mags at Primedia, or all of them, etc.

Besides, with Marcel's postings, who needs to read anything else {shameless 
Marcel plug}.  What he doesn't get to, Nick does {shameless Nick plug}.  And 
what they both miss, I write about for RR {shameless Tilles plug}.

Alan T.

In a message dated 2/14/2003 11:58:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> February 6, New York Times Business section. Where I got my info about 
> there downsizing to reduce Debt. It talks about them seeling several 
> magazines including Seventeen. 
>