Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEWS FLASH! Nextel opertaes through Satellites- Wow!

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:44:44 -0500

Wow! Nextel operates through Satellites?
And they can still communicate in case of a Tower outage or Power Outage.
(as long as It does not exceed the sites batt life)
Gee.....Beam me up Scotty!

Boy is he going to get a surprise durning the next blackout!
(I wonder how many gensets they have New Castle, IN???)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Officers also received new Nextel cellular telephones that
also have the capabilities to operate more like a two-way
radio. Cronk said these phones operate through satellite
services allowing officers to communicate better and more
reliably in case of a power outage or tower outage. Three of
these phones also will be available at the 911 dispatch
center."

Good Guys' toys

By Franki Zile
STAFF REPORTER
[email-masked]

Resources and equipment were recently beefed up to help
several local law enforcement officers continue the battle
against crime.

A variety of new crime fighting tools has been issued to
Henry County sheriff's deputies and detectives in an effort
to better equip officers with high-powered weapons as well
as other items.

The equipment was purchased through federal and state
grant money secured specifically for purchasing updated
equipment, according to Sheriff Kim Cronk. Approximately
$10,000 was secured through a grant from the Indiana
Criminal Justice Institute. In addition, other grant funds
were combined to help pay for some of the equipment,
Cronk added.

Through this effort, each deputy and detective on the
sheriff's department has a new .223-caliber semi-automatic
rifle. This will be in addition to the departmental issued
handguns and shotguns officers currently have.

Cronk explained that often times, when officers respond
to emergency calls involving a suspect with a weapon, that
suspect is better armed than the officers. Therefore, the
decision was made to purchase the high-powered rifles.

Officers also received new Nextel cellular telephones that
also have the capabilities to operate more like a two-way
radio. Cronk said these phones operate through satellite
services allowing officers to communicate better and more
reliably in case of a power outage or tower outage. Three of
these phones also will be available at the 911 dispatch
center.

Cronk added that with the new phones, officers will be
able to communicate with one another without having to
rely on radio traffic that can be picked up through a basic
scanner. "Often when we go on drug raids and such, the
suspects have scanners and can hear us on our radios,"
Cronk explained.

Also included in the new equipment were digital cameras.
Each officer was issued a digital camera to use in their
regular duties, such as photographing accident and crime
scenes and evidence.

New stop sticks also were handed out to each officer to
carry in their patrol vehicle. These new stop sticks will be
used in case of a pursuit, if needed and applicable. The
stop sticks were purchased by the county prosecutor's
office through pretrial diversion fund money ó fees paid by
certain offenders for particular violations.

Cronk said all the equipment was paid for through grant
money or pretrial diversion funds and did not include tax
money. He added that officials also are looking at grant
funding to update the bullet proof vests which officers wear
while on duty.

"By writing these federal grants, we're able to supply this
equipment without using tax money," Cronk said. "We feel
that by distributing this equipment, we are able to enhance
the security for the community."

Article Comment Form

Please feel free to add your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the
Web site. Each submission must be approved by the
Web site editor, who may edit content for
appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for
any submission while the web site editor reviews and
approves it.

http://www.newcastlein.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=32&ArticleID=20378
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Bulldog <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:31:23 -0000

Can't blame the reporter or the carrier.  That's what attribution is 
for.  "According to Sheriff Cronk..."

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> fzile@t...
> http://www.newcastlein.com/Main.asp?
SectionID=1&SubSectionID=32&ArticleID=20378

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:54:37 -0500

And we can't blame the Sheriff because I'm sure some Nexthell salesperson told him that
nonsense.

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:22:56 -0500

They question assertions politicians make, why not sheriiffs? Is he a
journalist or a writer of press releases?

Now that he has been tipped that this guy is blowing smoke, will he follow
up?

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory
http://twowayradiodirectory.com/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:53:22 -0500

he may but not in print