Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dual mode handset supports WCDMA and cdma2000 1x

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:27:14 -0500

Dual mode handset supports WCDMA and cdma2000 1x

South Korea's LG Electronics has introduced the world’s first DBDM (Dual Band Dual Mode)
phone for both CDMA and WCDMA modes. DBDM phone (Model: LG-K8100) comes with a 2.2-inch
and 260,000 color TFT-LCD screen and an embedded 300,000-pixel (VGA grade) camera, working
in both WCDMA and cdma2000 1x systems.

LG Electronics has already provided DBDM phones to KTICOM for a test run. There have been
concerns that a lack of development of DBDM phone would be in the way of launching WCDMA
services. However, it is now fully addressed with DBDM phone developed based on
single-mode phone technologies. What is more significant is that in South Korea, WCDMA
service areas can also receive cdma2000 1x services, laying groundwork for early WCDMA
service launch.

Mr. Seong-tae Kwon, a director (Vice President) of LG Electronics 3G Handsets Lab. said
“LG Electronics has already proved its advanced cellular phone technologies worldwide. For
example, Ericsson and other WCDMA handset makers selected our single mode WCDMA phone for
a system sync test. With the DBDM development, we aim to be a true leader of in the 3G
CDMA and WCDMA market at home and abroad.”

LG Electronics also plans to develop a “one chip solution” phone that needs only one chip
for DBDM function, while working on stabilizing dual system sync to meet the demand for
both test and commercial of WCDMA services in time.

 Posted to the site on 17-Feb-03

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/