Subject: [NEXTEL-1] We are Scanner Scum!!!! Pop'Comm Homeland Security Columnist

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:23:00 -0500

They should have given the column to Alan D.!

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ken Windyka <[email-masked]>
Subject: We are Scanner Scum!!!! Pop'Comm  Homeland Security Columnist

Interesting article in March 2003 edtion "Popular Communications", Rich Arland "Homeland
Security" newly appointed columnist.

Arland make mention in his column about how the "Scanner-Scum" term was coined at one of
the annual Shortwave (SWL) Radio Winterfest (in PA) in the past.   He further goes on to
mention that a "true scanner scum was when one could produce a complete list of all
MacDonald's drive through frequenicies", and than states "Get a Life, already!!!"   
Furthermore Arland than changes the name to how to spot a "scanner head" a mile away...  
portable scanner on his belt.... portable frequency counter.....  back at house a minimum
of two scanning radios, one of these will have an excess of 500 channels & computer
controlled, ....  Arland additionally states this will be overkill.

Arland also tries to give professional advice on buying a scanner & seems to be
recommending some 15+ old scanner technology obtained from yard/garage sales, that won't
be able to receive any of the 800 mhz freqs or aviation band, and somehow tries to equate
that these newer scanners would only be needed in the NYC, Boston, other large metro
areas... Don't know about you folks but in the Springfield MA area over the last 3 years
or so we've seen 5 community police departments & one community fire department switch to
the 800 mhz band.  Also a very large precentage of the Massachusetts State Police radio
traffic is now on a trunked radio system.  My Homeland security personnel protection
method is to monitor any potential target's radio systems that's next to me at home and/or
while at work!!!  Seems like Pop Comm Homeland security columnist has missed the mark on
this one!!!  

I was quite surprised that "Popular Communications" would even allow such an inflammatory
comment against scannerists  to be published.  There seems to some full page & many other
ads from various scanner manufacturers, asw well as retail mail order businesses that
support that publication on a monthly basis -- wonder what those vendors will now think?

Too bad there's indication of  a "past" SWL Winterfest having this scanner bias.   
Personnally, to me monitoring/listening to everything out there can be exciting &
informative whether it be HF (SSB/AM), VHF, UHF, 800/900, etc, we really don't need to
label folks in a derogatory manner for what they spend their hobby time & discretionary
money doing!!!!, it's their business and some contribute there "finding" efforts to lists
such as this on a regular basis.  

Anyways take a look at the article and judge for yourself.

BTW Arland doesn't list a email address in his column so I would guess that the
[email-masked] would be the best alternative to express your opinion.

And remember we are all just "Scanner Scum"!!!

Ken Windyka
Springfield MA Monitoring Area

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/