Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Popular Mechanics Features Hop-On / Al-Queada A Sleeper Cells in the US

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:51:44 -0500

A story  should be hitting the wire (If it has not already) on how al Qaeda Sleeper Cells
in the US have been purchasing
"Disposable Cellphones" and signing up for free email accounts that are only used once.
The problem here is these phones are currently Non-E 911 Phase II compliant. The phones
now mask the buyers in two ways:

1) No identification require to purchase or activate the phone.

2) The callers exact location is now unidentifiable. (E-911 Phase I is still applicable)

Hop-On and others need to address these two issues immediately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Popular Mechanics Features Hop-On

IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Hop-On (OTC: HPON), the
leading developer of disposable and fully recyclable cell phones, today
announced that Popular Mechanics magazine is featuring Hop-On in its March
2003 issue.  In the technology article "Buried Beneath Computers," Hop-On's
disposable cell phone is described as "an inexpensive alternative that can be
reused, keeping it out of the world's landfills."  The article details how a
few computer and cell phone companies are attempting to provide
environmentally friendly technology and electronics solutions.
The story notes, "If you want a greener cellphone, consider Hop-On's
inexpensive offering, which is made with recycling in mind.  It's the size of
a deck of playing cards, and offers 60 minutes of talk time for a $40 flat
fee.  Additional time can be bought in 60-, 90- and 120-minute increments via
phone cards.  When you're done with the phone, you can return it to the
company for a $5 rebate, and Hop-On will break down the phone, refurbish it
and make it available to customers again.  Incidentally, the same is done with
'disposable' cameras."
Peter Michaels, Chairman and CEO of Hop-On, commented, "While technology
seems to advance at a faster and faster pace, we must all do our part to bring
environmentally friendly solutions to consumers.  From the start, our belief
at Hop-On has been that we can accomplish our objective of building a global
communications company while maintaining our commitment to the environment.
We have found that our partners readily share in this vision, which is helping
us in establishing strategic relationships at the manufacturer, carrier and
retail level."

About Hop-On
Hop-On (OTC: HPON) is the developer and marketer of the world's first
disposable, fully recyclable and contract free cell phone.  The Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) approved Hop-On for the world's first CDMA
disposable cell phone.  Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) is a digital
wireless technology that was pioneered and commercially developed by QUALCOMM.
Hop-On's CDMA phone is a digital, single mode cellular handset that operates
in the 800 MHz frequency band.  Hop-On's CDMA phones, which provide a
much-needed alternative to full service cellular contracts and prepaid calling
cards, are fully recyclable and will offer a rechargeable battery and the
capability to add on additional minutes.  For more information, visit
http://www.hop-on.com .

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:53:50 -0600

>1) No identification require to purchase or activate the phone.
Just like those calling cards you see everywhere. Oh wait - those 
payphones don't require you to identify yourself either - yep, we need 
to get rid of those too!

>2) The callers exact location is now unidentifiable. (E-911 Phase I is still applicable)
E911 Phase I does not give an exact location, more like, what - 50 
yards? They can still triangulate signal from several towers. Not *as* 
accurate as GPS but will put you on the caller's block.

-rick

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:34:49 -0500

See below:

> payphones don't require you to identify yourself either - yep, we need

But we know where they are located........
And they don't move.

> accurate as GPS but will put you on the caller's block.

I know.......That was why I noted that Phase I is available, but  the PSAP's only get the
location of the cellsite the phone is registered to.

Triangulation must be done at the switch. Have you ever tried to get Cingular to do
triangulation on the  Fly? Good luck!

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:40:15 -0600

Marcel wrote:

>See below:
>
>But we know where they are located........ And they don't move.
>
That's not true. One night at a costume party ... oh, wait, nevermind. 
No the payphone doesn't move - just the caller - and they can take their 
calling cards with them [ which ironically, makes them easier to track ] 
as they hop from payphone to courtesy phone (like the hotel lobby) to ...

Eliminating the disposable cell-phone isn't going to solve this one.

>location of the cellsite the phone is registered to.
Yeah, I munged that one - I meant Phase II (after reading your 
explanation of Phase I vs. II a few emails later) .. but Phase II isn't 
all that great and isn't likely to be improved upon.

>triangulation on the Fly? Good luck!
That's why we have you Marcel! The *real* issue with the Phase I vs. 
Phase II is the software at the switch. IF the switch were smart enough 
to manage triangulation data then it would not have to depend upon the 
E911 enabled cellphone. That and you've already thoroughly covered the 
idea of  a low power jamming device to prevent the phone's built-in GPS 
receiver from getting a signal lock enough to give coordinates.

It's swiss cheese out there - this is just one of the holes.

It's dinner time! A mushroom-swiss cheeseburger sounds good.

-rick

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:09:09 -0500

> Eliminating the disposable cell-phone isn't going to solve this one.

I'm not for elimination .....I'm for accountability,

> all that great and isn't likely to be improved upon.

It's all a Joke. My Nextel Hell is Phase II compatible but the PSAP's are not ready and who
knows when they will be!

> receiver from getting a signal lock enough to give coordinates.

There are a lot of techno issues involed here. I can rattle off a dozen without even thinking
hard. I use the new high technology on the hwy that pinpoints my location to within 1/4 of a
mile. And its free!

They are called Mile Markers!