Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola on 5 GHz Spectrum Allocation

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:22:22 -0500

Motorola Applauds U.S. 
Government’s Decision to Allocate 
More Spectrum for 5GHz Wireless Devices

Innovative Technologies Like Motorola Canopy™ to Benefit

Schaumburg, Ill. 

Feb. 3, 2003

Motorola strongly supports the agreement reached between the Executive Branch agencies of
the U.S. government on modifications to the U.S. position with respect to devices
permitted to operate in the 5 Gigahertz (GHz) band. This agreement reflects discussions
between industry, Department of Defense, National Telecommunications Information Agency,
Federal Communications Center and other government organizations. Leadership and support
by the Administration, particularly U.S. Secretary of Commerce Don Evens and his staff
were instrumental in achieving consensus that satisfies interests of both the Department
of Defense and industry.

Motorola’s Canopy™ technology is expected to be one of the beneficiaries of the U.S.
government’s decision to recommend the worldwide allocation of additional spectrum for
private use in the 5 GHz band, including the middle bands 5.4-5.7GHz. The Canopy fixed
wireless broadband technology was designed to provide cost-effective “last mile”
high-speed data access for business, residential, enterprise and private network
customers.

The Canopy portfolio includes 5.2 and 5.7GHz radio products; the government’s action now
expands that spectrum. “This additional spectrum will utilize some of Canopy’s best
features, including the fact that it is highly scaleable,” said Tom Freeburg, Motorola
corporate vice president and director of its Canopy technology. 

In praising the Administration in reaching this agreement, Michael Kennedy, Motorola
corporate vice president and director of Global Government Relations noted in particular
the work of Assistant Secretary of Commerce Nancy Victory and her deputy Michael
Gallagher. “It’s rewarding to see the Administration exerting leadership to drive a
spectrum management process benefiting all users and allowing the United States to provide
international leadership,” said Kennedy.

These newly available frequency bands are used by the U.S. Department of Defense. Upon
announcing the decision, Victory cited the government’s goal to stimulate the economy and
to preserve the leadership of the U.S. high-tech sector while continuing to ensure a
strong national defense.

“The corroboration between the government and the wireless industry will enhance the use
of the 5GHz spectrum and remove any lingering doubts that all kinds of wireless devices
really can co-exist. These include fixed wireless broadband products such as the Canopy
technology, as well as 802.11a wireless fidelity (WiFi) products and a host of emerging
solutions,” said Motorola’s Freeburg.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2319_1898_23,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/