Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Florida neophytes warming to hockey

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 15:42:21 -0500

Florida neophytes warming to hockey

By ERIC FRANCIS -- Calgary Sun

SUNRISE, Fla. --  Dante Perez doesn't know if he shoots left or
right-handed, he can't name either of the NHL teams in bankruptcy
protection and he still seems to get mixed up with the fact Val not
Pavel -- is the only Bure on the Florida Panthers.

Yet, when spotted at yesterday's All-Star Block Party harassing
Harvey the Hound, the self-proclaimed "hockey nut" was admittedly
up to snuff on at least one important NHL development.

"That's the dog that had his tongue ripped right out of his mouth,"
said Perez, 42, wearing a Panthers jersey matching his son's.

"I never laughed so hard in my life. I'm glad he got it fixed in time to
come here."

Getting things fixed in time will be a huge topic of conversation
throughout an all-star weekend that will be dominated with talk of
increased financial instability and an ever-looming lockout.

Perhaps now, more than ever, it's blissfully ignorant hockey fans
like Perez who are exactly what the NHL needs most.

If so, there were plenty of them to cater to yesterday as the
eight-acre interactive fan festival in the parking lot of the Office
Depot Center officially opened with a flashy arrival of the Stanley
Cup held aloft by Larry Robinson.

"You go to these sort of events with good thoughts of the game so
the timing is good," said Robinson, a New Jersey Devils adviser
who lives in nearby Tampa Bay.

"There's no doubt they have to do something with ticket prices and
the salaries, otherwise how can teams survive? Yes, the state of
the game is (poor) but everything in general is down with the
economy and there aren't many liquid funds out there for people."

Candy-coating aside, the bulk of hockey fans finally realize the
league is heading towards a critical juncture.

However, that didn't seem to phase the 50 Hispanic youths aged
11-15 playing road hockey for the first time as part of the NHL's
"Hockey is for Everyone" program yesterday.

Marking the first time any of the boys and girls had ever even held
a hockey stick, their scrimmage, which was held among rows of
palm trees, was far from the type of organized ball hockey
Canadians grew up playing.

As a Canadian it was wonderful to see others so enthusiastic about
a sport we almost take for granted.

In their midst was Grant Fuhr, who is not only in town to help with
the league's diversity program but also to take another run at the
PGA Tour's qualifying school in Orlando next week.

"He's who?" asked one lady, who was told the man trying to run the
frantic contest was a future Hall of Famer.

"I've never heard of him."

There were similar responses in the trivia tent where none of the
handful of contestants could name the player nicknamed "The
Flower."

The bus driver hired to take visitors to the interactive celebration,
which is free to the public, said he'd never been to the Panthers'
rink since it was built at the corner of Panther Parkway and Red
Snapper Rd.

"I've never really thought about going," said Carter, suggesting
most in his culturally diverse state simply have too many better
things to do than watch hockey.

"Hockey was fun when you could throw mice on the ice, but not
now."

As kids climbed atop Zambonis, tested the speed of their shot,
laced up for an in-line skate, purchased memorabilia, read names
on NHL trophies and toyed with various mascots, Perez headed to
a Nextel sponsor's tent to make a free phone call.

"This is great," said Perez, walking towards two 20-ft. inflatable
hockey players.

"I've got to tell my brother to get down here."

Tell everyone you can Dante.

The game needs all the help it can get right now, whether you know
it or not.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/