Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola awarded $7.5m TETRA contract

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:41:04 -0500

Motorola awarded $7.5m TETRA contract

Isle of Man Government chooses Motorola for new TETRA system

BASINGSTOKE, UK -- 10 February 2003 -- Motorola (NYSE:MOT) has been awarded a $7.5M
contract to supply a TETRA (TErestrial Trunked RAdio) digital radio network, TETRA
handsets
and Mobile Data Terminals for use by the Isle of Man Government.

The Isle of Man is a self-governing British Protectorate and although part of the British
Isles is not
part of the United Kingdom or the European Union.

The system will be in place and working by December 2003 and the Government expects to
have
up to 16 different user groups on the system, including all the Emergency Services and
other key
Government users such as transport, forestry and utilities. Additionally the system will
be used to
provide communications for the world famous TT motor cycling races. Over 1500 portable
handsets and mobiles have been purchased including the MTM700 and the MTH500. In order to
give the level of coverage required by the Emergency Services a total of 21 base station
sites will
be used.

The TETRA system completes the final stage of the Isle of Man Government’s Emergency
Services communications network. It will integrate with the new Emergency Services Joint
Control
Room project and is critical to its’ success. The Dimetra IP (Internet Protocol) system,
will be
used by the Control Room to securely communicate with police, fire and ambulance crews at
emergency situations from one central point via a command and control system. The network
has
the ability to carry both voice and data so essential information regarding the situation
can be
sent to emergency crews before they arrive at an incident.

Robert Williamson, Technical Director, Department of Home Affairs Communications Division
of
the Isle of Man Government commented: “Following the demise of our previously contracted
supplier, we carried out a rigorous tendering procedure for an alternative supplier for
our digital
radio system. One of the critical criteria in our evaluation process was the requirement
that the
chosen supplier could deliver what we required and be able to meet our demanding project
timescales. Although there was little difference in technological ability between the
products on
offer, the professionalism of the Motorola project team and Motorola’s history of timely
delivery
makes me confident that we have made the right choice. ”

Ian Heath, Account Director, Isle of Man, Motorola added: " We are delighted to be working
with
the Isle of Man to deliver our Dimetra IP secure, reliable and efficient communications
network.
We are very excited about sharing with the Isle of Man our vast experience of delivering
mission
critical communications solutions to Government customers.”

Speaking at the contract signing at Motorola’s state of the art test and integration
facility in
Berlin, The Honourable Philip Braidwood MHK Minister for Home Affairs commented, “The
implementation of the new TETRA system together with the parallel introduction of the
Emergency Services Joint Control Room are the cornerstones of the Isle of Man Government’s

strategic policy in respect of communications. I look forward to the successful completion
of
these projects.”

About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated communications and
embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2002 were $26.7 billion. Motorola is a global
corporate
citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and pioneering important technologies that
make
things smarter and life better for people, honoured traditions that began when the company
was
founded 75 years ago this year. For more information, please visit: www.motorola.com.

About Motorola CGISS
Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a leading
global
provider of integrated radio communications and information solutions, with 65 years of
experience
in meeting the mission-critical requirements of public safety, public service, government
and
enterprise customers. The sector offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet
growing public
safety and security needs worldwide, including: interoperable two-way radio communications

solutions; command and control solutions; identification and tracking solutions,
information
management for criminal justice and civil needs; and physical security and monitoring
solutions.
In 2002, CGISS received the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for manufacturing, the

nation’s premier award for performance excellence and quality achievement. For more
information,
please visit: www.motorola.com/cgiss.

For more information please visit:
* Motorola TETRA: www.motorola.com/tetra
* TETRA MoU: www.tetramou.com
* Motorola Internet Media Centre: www.motorola.com/mediacenter
* Photography is available at
www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/list/0,1099,44-1,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/