Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lucent demos super-fast wireless data chip

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:42:50 -0500

Ok, We can't even get our EXISTING  PCS/ Cellular wireless networks past 60 Kps while
moving, now Lucent has developed a 24Mps chip.  Give me a break! No wonder they are
trading at a $1.69

Carriers can't even build a busines case for 2.4Mps systems. How are they going to get a
ROI on a 24Mps system when consumers are DoD (Deaf on Data).  2006 is just around the
cornner and consumer acceptace is years behing their deployment date.. Lucent/Bellabs
should go back and reinvent the rotary phone if they have that much time on their hands

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucent demos super-fast wireless data chip

Lucent Technologies announced a new wireless chip that allows handsets and other devices
to download
wireless data at speeds up to 10 times faster than anything commercially available.
Lucent's "turbo decoder" for
cell phones, developed by the company's Bell Labs and unveiled Tuesday, can translate
wireless voice and data
transmissions at speeds of up to 24Mbps. Currently, the fastest commercially transmitted
networks can send
data at up to 2.4Mbps. Lucent said it does not plan to make any network equipment using
this new technology
until 2006.
=========================================================================

Mobile Communications Chip from Lucent
Technologies' Bell Labs Decodes Data at up to
24 Megabits Per Second
Tuesday February 11, 9:30 am ET

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 11, 2003--Lucent Technologies (NYSE: LU
- News)

World's First Turbo Decoder Chip for HSDPA

UMTS Terminals Described Today at
the IEEE

International Solid State Circuits
Conference

Researchers from Lucent
Technologies' (NYSE: LU - News)
Bell Labs today revealed
architectural and performance
details of the world's first turbo
decoder chip for third-generation
(3G) wireless data terminals that
supports the evolving High Speed
Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA)
standard.

The Bell Labs-designed chip, which
will be licensed to manufacturers of wireless data terminals, is powerful enough to
handle data rates up to 24 Megabits per second (Mbps) - nearly ten times faster than
today's most advanced mobile networks. The chip was described during a presentation
at the International Solid State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) here by two of the Bell
Labs researchers who developed the chip.

HSDPA is an evolutionary enhancement to Universal Mobile Telecommunications
System (UMTS) spread-spectrum technology, also known as wideband code division
multiple access (W-CDMA). The chip is fast enough not only to support first-generation
HSDPA systems, which will offer transmission speeds between 5 and 10 Mbps, but also
future Multiple-Input/Multiple-Output (MIMO) HSDPA systems, which are expected to
achieve peak data rates up to 20 Mbps.

The chip achieves this extraordinary speed in part thanks to a unique implementation
of turbo codes -- powerful software programs that perform error correction by adding --
to each bit of data transmitted -- several redundant bits that help the decoder
reconstruct the original signal without errors at the receiving end. In addition, the chip

also can be reconfigured for different packet sizes and data rates on the fly, making it
compatible with the variable data rates arising from Adaptive Modulation and Coding
(AMC) -- a key capacity-enhancing feature of HSDPA.

A Bell Labs research team in Sydney, Australia, designed the turbo decoder - the same
team that last October announced the industry's first chip that incorporates Bell Labs
Layered Space Time (BLAST) MIMO technology for mobile communications. The
BLAST chip enables terminals to receive data at 19.2 Megabits per second (Mbps) in a
3G mobile network.

The design team chose a highly parallel architecture for the turbo decoder chip and
employed a new compression technique that enables it to operate at a low clock
frequency and yet still achieve high data rates. By operating at low clock frequencies,
the chip consumes very little power.

Dynamic power reduction techniques have also been incorporated that adjust the
amount of power the decoder consumes depending upon how and where the chip is
being used - for example, offering more power if a user is driving in a car than if he or
she is stationary in an office. This technique guarantees maximum performance while
creating less of a drain on the terminal's battery.

"Bell Labs is developing the high-performance, low-power communications components
that are needed to make HSDPA devices a commercial reality," said Ran Yan, vice
president of Wireless Research at Bell Labs. "Turbo codes enable error correction at
speeds close to the theoretical limit predicted by Information Theory. Our turbo
decoder chip, therefore, is nearly the fastest possible for mobile systems."

Lucent has played a major role in the definition of the UMTS/HSDPA standards through
its participation in the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). Lucent's turbo
decoder chip is available for license to manufacturers interested in building
UMTS/HSDPA-compliant terminals.

Additional technical details about the chip can be found in the researchers' recently
published paper, "A 24 Mbps Radix-4 LogMAP Turbo Decoder for 3GPP-HSDPA Mobile
Wireless," which is available at http://www.bell-labs.com/issccpaper/.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030211/112043_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/