Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC AFFIRMS RULES TO AUTHORIZE THE DEPLOYMENT OF ULTRA-WIDEBAND TECHNOLOGY

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:31:41 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE     
February 13, 2003       

FCC AFFIRMS RULES TO AUTHORIZE THE DEPLOYMENT OF ULTRA-WIDEBAND TECHNOLOGY

Washington, D.C.

The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) adopted a Memorandum Opinion and Order that
largely reaffirmed the procedures adopted last year to authorize the unlicensed operations
of ultra-wideband (“UWB”) devices.  Minor changes were implemented to further facilitate
the operation of imaging devices.  These rule amendments respond to fourteen petitions for
reconsideration that were filed in response to the First Report and Order that established
the UWB standards.

On February 14, 2002, the Commission established regulations that permitted the marketing
and operation of certain types of new products incorporating ultra-wideband UWB
technology. UWB technology can be employed for a vast array of new applications that have
the potential to provide significant benefits for public safety, businesses and consumers.
Recent advances in UWB technology have resulted in its potential use for a variety of
applications such as radar imaging of objects buried under the ground or behind walls and
short-range, high-speed data transmissions.  

In general, the Commission did not make any significant changes to the existing UWB
technical parameters, indicating that it is reluctant to do so until it has gained more
experience with UWB devices.  The Commission also indicated that any major changes to the
rules for existing UWB product categories at this early stage would be disruptive to
current industry product development efforts.  Rather, it reviewed the requests from the
petitioners and granted those that will not increase the interference potential of UWB
devices.  The Commission denied those requests that sought further restrictions on UWB
operations.  
 
The Commission expressed its belief that the next 12 to 18 months should allow the
introduction of UWB devices under the recently adopted rules.  The Commission indicted
that it also intends to investigate the potential impact of UWB devices on various radio
services and would continue its review of the UWB standards to determine where additional
changes warrant consideration.

In response to the petitions, the Commission amended the rules to facilitate the operation
of through-wall imaging systems by law enforcement, emergency rescue and firefighter
personnel in emergency situations; eliminated the requirement that GPRs and wall imaging
systems operate with their ?10 dB bandwidths below 960 MHz or above 3.1 GHz; specified the
limitations on who may operate ground penetrating radar (GPR) systems and wall imaging
systems and for what purposes; eliminated the requirement for non-hand held GPRs to employ
a dead man switch; clarified the coordination requirements for imaging devices; and
clarified the rules regarding emissions produced by digital circuitry used by UWB
transmitters.  

The Commission also proposed additional new rules to address issues raised regarding the
operation of low pulse repetition frequency (PRF) UWB systems, including vehicular radars,
in the 3.1-10.6 GHz band; the operation of frequency hopping vehicular radars in the 22?29
GHz band as UWB devices; the establishment of new peak power limits for wideband Part 15
devices that do not operate as UWB devices; and the definition of a UWB device.

In a separate, but related action, the Commission denied an Application for Review of
Certification of a Time Domain Corporation UWB Transmitter requested by a coalition of
companies and associations.  The Time Domain device is a transmit-only radio to be used by
UWB application developers to evaluate UWB propagation and co-existence with other RF
devices.  The Commission found that the transmitter complies with all of the limits in the
Commission’s rules

Action by the Commission February 12, 2003, by Memorandum Opinion and Order and Further
Notice of Proposed Rule Making in ET 98-153 (FCC 03-33). Chairman Powell, Commissioners
Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein.  Chairman Powell and Commissioner Copps issuing
statements.

OET Contact: John Reed, Telephone: (202) 418-2455, E-mail: [email-masked]

ET Docket No. 98-153 

- FCC –

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-231197A3.doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/