Subject: [NEXTEL-1] High-tech device helps fight crime Cell phones give data, photo in Monroe

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:28:21 -0500

Article published February 25, 2003
High-tech device helps fight crime Cell phones give data, photo in Monroe

Monroe County sheriff’s detectives can access mug shots and jail records by the use of
their cellular telephones. (THE BLADE/LISA DUTTON)

By LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE
BLADE STAFF WRITER

MONROE - For technophiles it’s a significant step forward in putting law enforcement on
the cutting edge of information technology.

Detective John Plath just calls the latest gadget on his crime-fighting utility belt
"pretty cool."

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is one of only six law enforcement agencies nationwide
participating in a pilot project that seeks to make available nearly all the information
any officer would need via a tiny cellular phone.

Detective Plath and his colleague, Detective Dave Davison, have been equipped with
over-the-counter Nextel cell phones that have small color screens.

Using software developed by two firms, the two detectives can punch a few buttons on the
numeric keypad and instantly call up not only whether a subject has any warrants, but also
a picture of that person if he or she has been an overnight guest at the Monroe County
Jail.

Such detailed information normally would require a deputy to return to his work station or
to his cruiser if it is equipped with a laptop computer.

"When you’re out on the street, away from your car and access to your normal jail records,
it will be really useful," Detective Plath said.

Ronald White, a retired Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy, is the chief operating
officer of WireHound of Las Vegas which, along with ID Networks of Ashtabula, Ohio, is
running the test with Monroe County.

Mr. White said the software the two firms have developed that’s being tested by Detectives
Davison and Plath could revolutionize law enforcement by giving officers on the street the
tools and information they need at their fingertips.

"When I was an officer, I could have saved a whole lot of time if I would have been able
to identify people in the field," Mr. White said. "This is lifesaving technology we’re
doing."

When the tests are complete - some bugs are still being worked out, Mr. White said - the
technology will be marketed to law enforcement agencies across the country. Plans call for
a one-time activation fee of about $40 to program the phone, and then a $10 per unit per
month charge.

Doug Blenman II, project manager with ID Networks, said Monroe County was picked to
participate in the pilot project because the department is considered one of the most
technologically advanced in the state.

The Sheriff’s Office "already uses our booking system," Mr. Blenman said. "Their [booking]
photos pull through my software. It was a natural fit to deliver that information to
another medium, such as the phones."

He said his firm and WireHound have just begun to explore the infinite possibilities of
what types of information can be provided via cell phone to officers in the field.

The biggest roadblock so far, Mr. Blenman said, has been waiting for cell phone providers
to upgrade their networks, enabling them to transmit large amounts of data. Those upgrades
are planned over the next several years as part of the implementation of so-called "third
generation" cell phone technologies.

"There’s really no end to what can be done. The delivery of the data and the possibilities
once you become mobile with a phone become endless," Mr. Blenman said.

Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said though only two officers in the department
are participating in the 90-day trial, he already can see how useful such a device would
be to officers across the country.

"Probably the most useful function is the availability of accessing jail records and
photographs so that [officers] can readily access those files out in the field when
they’re looking for someone," Sheriff Crutchfield said.

If the cell phones have any drawback right now, it’s the fact that, so far at least, the
information available to deputies is coming only from the Sheriff’s Office itself and the
Law Enforcement Information Network, or LEIN. But that is likely to change if the pilot
program goes well, the Sheriff said.

"I’m sure that as this technology becomes more widely used, other agencies will also share
their data as well," Sheriff Crutchfield said.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20030225&Category=NEWS19&ArtNo=102250039&SectionCat=&Template=printpicart

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/