Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Kinser Park Will Not Open Early This Spring, Board Votes

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 13:57:25 -0500

Kinser Park Will Not Open Early This Spring, Board Votes
By: By AMY OVERBAY/Staff Writer
Source: The Greeneville Sun
01-31-2003

Kinser Park will not open early this year, as it did last year.

Park Manager Steve Dearstone told members of the Kinser Park Commission
Tuesday that the park will likely open on the first Friday in April.

Last year, the commission voted to open the park one week early, on Friday,
March 29, 2002, after requests from campers.

This year, campers have made the same requests, but Chairman Helen Horner
said some work at the park must be completed before the park’s season can
begin.

She mentioned that Dearstone needs to sow some grass at the park, but did
not elaborate on any other work that needs to be done. Horner noted that the
park is legally required to open before April 15.

Dearstone said he hopes to open the park on April 4 or 5. “We’ll see what
happens; see what we can do,” he said during the luncheon meeting at
Azaleas restaurant.

New Electrical Wiring

In other business, Dearstone reported that installation of new electrical wiring
at 51 campsites is now complete, “thanks to a lot of our campers.”

Some of the park’s seasonal campers have helped install the campground
wiring, saving $24,000 to $28,000 in labor costs, according to estimates made
during Tuesday’s meeting.

Kinser Park now has only six remaining campsites that do not have new
electrical wiring, Dearstone said.

He told commissioners that he would like to complete electrical installations at
those sites next year, if money is available.

Dearstone estimated that rewiring the six remaining sites would cost $700 to
$800. Kinser Park has a total of 157 campsites, which have been rewired
recently in phases.

Mobile Telephones

Horner welcomed Mayor Darrell Bryan, who was attending his first Kinser Park
Commission meeting since taking office in July 2002. The mayor apologized
for not joining the commission earlier in his term, noting that he has a busy
schedule of meetings. Dearstone asked Mayor Bryan about ways the park
could dump some old appliances and other debris at the Greeneville-Greene
County Landfill and Transfer Station. The mayor said he would go with
Dearstone to talk to Zip Wright, manager of the landfill and transfer station.

Meanwhile, Commissioner M.C. Rollins Jr., who also is a county
commissioner, said he would see if the county would provide a large container
to help with the dumping. Dearstone also said work on a new tool shed at the
park’s maintenance shop is scheduled to start next week.

The commission, at its November meeting, voted to allocate $1,500 to $1,700
to build the tool shed.

Dearstone told commissioners he would like to have two Nextel-brand phones,
which offer two-way radio options for the park.

He said the phones may cost the park an additional $10 or $11 a month.
Commissioner Fay Byrd said the convenience would outweigh the cost,
adding, “Overall, I think it will just save money.”

“And time,” Horner added.

The commissioners informally agreed that the new phones should be
purchased, but no vote was taken during the meeting.

Playground Equipment

The commission also discussed seeking grant funds for the purchase of new
playground equipment for the park.

Commission Glenn Cope noted that some of the playground equipment has
been at the park since 1972.

Horner suggested the commission seek grant funds from the Mary Gertrude K.
Fox Foundation, Niswonger Foundation or Fund for Greene County.

She and Cope both suggested that the commission develop a specific design
of what it needs for the park’s playgrounds.

Dearstone reported that 57 people are on the waiting list for campsites. He
said he already has booked 15 pavilion dates for company picnics and other
events.

“They’re starting early this year, so that’s a good sign,” Dearstone said of the
bookings.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/