Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Sounding off as city radio goes digital

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 06:08:36 -0500

The system upgrade has been in the works for a while. The Tow Truck operator should have
calculated the cost of his new scanners/radios in his annual budget (like he has one).
This is just another capital expenditure that is part of the cost of "Doing Business".

The cost of the P-25/ CAI scanners will drop as competition increases. Remember  the cost
of the first "Trunking Scanner"? They were $200-$300 initially, now you can purchase one
off the Rat Shack devalue list for $49.95 or less
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanAtlanta/message/10816). Granted the new P-25/CAI
radios / scanners cost considerably more presently, however the economy of scale will
eventually weigh to benefit the end user.

Spending $800 for a used P-25/CAI radio is not so outrageous any more now compared to the
almost $700 for a new scanner. As more manufactures join the P-25/CAI market place I
predict used radio prices will drop below the cost for the new scanners.

The Town Watch group's coordination problem is easily solved, ATL, NYC and others have
similar groups in place.  Some ATL Businesses belong to "Watch Dog"  group called "Comnet"
(http://www.atlantapd.org/cpdocs/forging.htm) .

Comnet is the eyes and ears of APD. When APD completed it's move from 460 Mhz to 800 MHz
in 1995, APD installed a "Patch" from 460 Mhz to a 800 Mhz Talkgroup. Comnet members can
speak directly to officers via the patch. All APD 800 mhz radios have the capability to
speak to the Comnet members. The Talk group is monitored by a dispatcher who can intervene
if necessary.

So all this whining equates to the lack of advance planning.

[email-masked] wrote:

>  This Story has been sent to you by : [email-masked]
>
> Sounding off as city radio goes digital
> There's a new radio station in town, and it's causing some static, especially among
> wreck chasers. WPRW587, the city's new $52 million, 800-megahertz digital radio system,
> officially went on the air Monday, rendering old-style scanners just about useless and
> making eavesdropping on Philadelphia police- and fire-band chatter an expensive
> proposition.
> The full article will be available on the Web for a limited time:
> http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/5115754.htm
>
> (c) 2001 inquirer and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
>
>
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/