Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Clerk to robber: Get lost

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:01:57 -0500

PAWTUCKET -- What began as a robbery turned into a battle of the sexes Tuesday night.
When it ended, the score was: Women, one, men, zero.

Police wish they all turned out that way.

A patient thief took his place at the rear of the line at Brooks Maxi Drug, 727 East Ave.,
at 8 p.m. Tuesday, waiting until the clerk, a 34-year-old Pawtucket woman, served all the
other customers.

When his turn came, the man asked for a pack of cigarettes. When he got it, he told the
clerk: "I have a gun. If you want to see your kids again, give me the money in the
register."

That was not enough for the Pawtucket woman.

"Basically, she said ‘no,’" said Detective Commander John Whiting. "She demanded to see
the gun.

"He said that all women are crazy and walked out the door."

That robbery attempt was the latest in a series police believe are being committed by one
or two people in the south end of Pawtucket and Providence’s East Side.

As soon as police received the robbery report, Pawtucket detectives called Providence
detectives on the Nextel channel they share. Within minutes, Providence detectives were in
Pawtucket with pictures, police report.

"It appeared that our robber was the same person who has robbed stores in Providence
recently," Whiting said. "The store clerk identified him from the pictures Providence
detectives showed her."

That was not a surprise, police report. Providence has had a half-dozen robberies in the
past two weeks and Pawtucket has seen its share as well. The initial investigation has
convinced police on both sides of the city line that one or two arrests would break the
string.

"We’ve formed an ad-hoc task force with Providence to work on this," Whiting said. "We are
also calling detectives in all the surrounding communities to see if they have had similar
robberies."

In several cases, a thin man of medium height waits his turn in the store, verbally
threatens the clerk on duty with a weapon but does not display a weapon, and leaves
without calling attention to himself.

That description also fits the robber of the Credit Union Central Falls, 20 Dexter St., on
Friday.

The robber of the Cedar Street Shell Monday at 10 p.m. does not fit in this case. The
Cedar Street robber was a tall black man who flashed a pistol at the mechanics on duty. In
the Providence robberies and the robberies at Brooks and the credit union the robber was
described as a white man.

No one has been injured in any of the robberies.

Brooks also suffered no loss Tuesday, police report.

"After the clerk confronted him, he left without taking anything," Whiting said

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7038295&BRD=1713&PAG=461&dept_id=24491&rfi=6

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/