Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Planning Commission OKs temporary tower for Nextel

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:13:08 -0500

February 12, 2003

Planning Commission OKs temporary tower for Nextel

By JOHN McMULLAN/Item Staff Writer

A debate over the installation of a telecommunications tower for Nextel Partners, Inc.
near
Alpine Road cleared a hurdle Tuesday night after the Picayune Planning Commission granted
a temporary use permit for the telecommunications company.

Commissioners voted 5-0 for a creosote pole tower to be placed on the partially abandoned
street. The tower cannot exceed 80 feet.

The commission granted a temporary use permit for Nextel Partners, Inc. to erect a
portable
tower on the partially abandoned street during its Jan. 14 meeting, one of two requests it

considered. The other was for a 190-ft lattice tower with a 5-ft. lightning rod and a
170.25-ft.
setback, which the commission denied because city ordinances permitted towers no higher
than 150 feet.

Erica Tucker-Lang with Crafton Communications told the commission during that meeting that

the temporary tower, or Cellular On Wheels, would be 80 feet in height and stay on the
site
until April 30.

The request was brought back before the commission after the City Council expressed
confusion over the request.

Zoning Administrator Johnny Lou Ingram said she talked with David Cloud with Nextel
Partners, who wanted the commission to consider using the temporary pole.

In other matters, the commission:

- Set Feb. 25 as the date for a public hearing concerning the rezoning of property located
at
Mississippi 43 North and Orleans Boulevard.

- Tabled a request by Anthony Davidson for a Home Occupation License at 710 Glenwood
St.

- Recommended the approval of a request by Mark S. Hughes for a Home Occupation
License to operate a computer repair service at 2404 Hillsdale St.

- Recommended the approval of a request by Irven Cousin Jr. for a Home Occupation
License to operate a house painting business at 1701 Adcox Road #1.

- Recommended the approval of a request by Glennis Neal Jr. and Habitat for Humanity for a

Conditional Use at the corner of Harris Street and South Haugh Avenue.

- Recommended the approval of a request by Richard Jones Jr. for a Conditional Use at
1208 E. Canal St. on the stipulation that the amount of the property cleanup be paid
before a
building permit is received.

- Approved the minutes of the Jan. 14 meeting.
http://www.picayuneitem.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2003/February/12-3384-02planning.txt

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/