Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Falling Prices Spur Wi-Fi Shipments in 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:51:40 -0500

Falling Prices Spur Wi-Fi Shipments in 2002

The year 2002 proved to be a stellar year for Wireless LAN volume growth, driven
by the increasingly cheap and reliable 802.11b technology, according to
In-Stat/MDR. The high-tech market research firm reports that when final figures
are available, business Wi-Fi hardware shipments are expected to rise 65
percent annually in 2002, to 11.6 million units and home shipments are expected
to increase by a very healthy 160 percent, to 6.8 million units. However, fast and
furiously falling prices for 802.11b equipment are expected to cause total market
revenues to grow by only 23 percent, from 1.8 billion in 2001 to $2.2 billion in
2002. "In 2002, security continued to be the most talked about issue on the
business side, while the Achilles heel of the home market remained multimedia
support," says Gemma Paulo, a Senior Analyst with In-Stat/MDR. "In the year
ahead, the continued growth and evolution of dual-mode 2.4/5GHz capable
equipment, Intel’s ability to push outs its Centrino mobile technology, the shift
toward 802.11g as the preferred 2.4 GHz WLAN technology, and the advent of
new enterprise infrastructure technology, will all shape the development of this
market."

---------------------------------

Wi-Fi market on an upswing
By Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
February 12, 2003, 10:46 AM PT

The market for wireless home networking products continues to climb, helped along by
falling
prices for Wi-Fi products, according to research firm In-Stat/MDR.

The volume of Wi-Fi products shipped to the business market is expected to jump 65
percent to 11.6 million units in 2002 compared with 2001, and the amount of products for
the home market is expected to increase by 160 percent to 6.8 million units. Market
revenue is anticipated to grow by only 23 percent, from $1.8 billion in 2001 to $2.2
billion
in 2002, due to decreasing prices for 802.11b products. According to In-Stat/MDR
analyst Gemma Paulo, data security on wireless networks is the most talked about topic
within business circles, while the Wi-Fi "Achilles heel" for consumers is the lack of
multimedia support.
http://news.com.com/2110-1033-984322.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/