Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL DIRECT CONNECT Commercial Confusing

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:43:23 -0500

NEXTEL DIRECT CONNECT Commercial Confusing
http://www.adweek.com/aw/creative/portfolio_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1805396
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script language="JavaScript1.1"
src="http://ads.vnuemedia.com/js.ng/params.richmedia=yes&site=adweek&adsize=120x240&PagePos=1&bust=5279137721">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ads.vnuemedia.com/click.ng/params.richmedia=yes&site=adweek&adsize=120x240&PagePos=1&bust=5279137721">
<img width="120" height="240" border="0"
src="http://ads.vnuemedia.com/image.ng/params.richmedia=yes&site=adweek&adsize=120x240&PagePos=1&bust=5279137721"/>
</a>
</noscript>

NEXTEL DIRECT CONNECT

January 28, 2003

By
Mark Dolliver

Since most TV viewers aren't especially eager to watch commercials, will they care to watch two spots at once? They may feel Nextel is asking them to do so with a series of split-screen vignettes that show its long-range digital walkie-talkie feature in action. In one spot, actress Kristin Davis is at the airport in Boston, where she's managed to get ticketed on an earlier-than-expected flight home to Los Angeles. The screen splits to show what would ensue with and without this Nextel feature. Bottom-screen Davis gets through to her boyfriend, who gladly consents to meet her at the airport in L.A., as we then see him doing. Top-screen Davis doesn't fare as well. Using an ordinary cell phone, she gets no answer. We next see her at the L.A. airport, struggling to extract her suitcase from the carousel and failing to get a cab. A voiceover sums up the action for us: "Life's good when you're Kristin Davis, but life's better when you're Kristin Davis and you have the cell phone with a walkie-talkie." Very likely so. But life's also better when you don't need to put effort into following a telecom commercial. In this age of multitasking, you're likely to be surfing the Internet or folding the laundry or doing your kid's math homework as you watch this spot. Under the circumstances, two story lines could easily be one more than you're going to grasp.

Agency

Mullen, Wenham, Mass.

Client

Nextel Communications, Reston, Va.

Chief creative officer

Edward Boches

Creative director

Jim Hagar

Art director

Jim O'Brien

Copywriter

David Register

Agency producer

Alyson Singer

Production company

Villains, Beverly Hills, Calif.

Director

Phil Joanou

Submissions to the Portfolio section should be in the form of proofs, slides, digital files or (for TV spots) videotape. For print, please list creative director, art director, copywriter and illustrator or photographer. For TV, please list creative director, art director, copywriter, agency producer, director and production company (and its location). Also, please list the break date. Preference will be given to the newest material. Materials cannot be returned. Send submissions to: Portfolio, c/o Adweek, 770 Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10003.

TRANSGLOBAL VACATIONS

UNIROYAL TIRES

NEXTEL DIRECT CONNECT

Subscribe l
Email Alerts & Newsletters l
Print Subscriber Access l
Advertising Opportunities l
Contact Us l
Site Map

<script language="JavaScript1.1"
src="http://ads.vnuemedia.com/js.ng/params.richmedia=yes&site=adweek&adsize=468x60&PagePos=3&bust=8452658326">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ads.vnuemedia.com/click.ng/params.richmedia=yes&site=adweek&adsize=468x60&PagePos=3&bust=8452658326">
<img width="468" height="60" border="0"
src="http://ads.vnuemedia.com/image.ng/params.richmedia=yes&site=adweek&adsize=468x60&PagePos=3&bust=8452658326"/>
</a>
</noscript>

©
2003 VNU eMedia Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms Of Use and Privacy
Policy.