Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wideband to Narrowband Migration

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:29:57 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
   From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Wideband to Narrowband Migration

 Am I understanding this 2nd Report and Order correctly, that after 6 months from the date
that this is published in the Federal Register (which means, in about 7 to 8 months from
now, roughly), that the FCC will issue NO new licenses in the VHF highband or UHF band for
'wideband' systems (5 khz. deviation systems) and that they will issue NO modications to
'wideband' systems that would result in the present base station/repeater contours being
'expanded' (which, I would assume, means in ANY direction - so you wouldn't even be able
to move a base/repeater)?If I'm understanding this correctly, then this could have a VERY
big impact on public safety agencies that are still using older (and that doesn't
necessarily mean a lot older) radios that either won't do narrowband at all or won't do it
'well' (bad audio on narrowband, due to lack of compandoring).  Such agencies won't be
able to make changes in base/repeater locations or add new bases or repeaters without
possibly having to replace existing mobiles and portables as well.Am I understanding this
correctly, or have I slept through something here?   John Rayfield, Jr.   Rayfield
Communications, Inc.   Springfield, Missouri

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:25:11 -0600

> the FCC will issue NO new licenses in the VHF highband or UHF band for 
> 'wideband' systems (5 khz. deviation systems)

5 khz is wideband?! Or am I misunderstanding how deviation equates to 
bandwidth ?

-rick

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/