Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Salomon Smith Barney On Nextel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:26:39 -0500

<Snip>

Consensus Plan – Nextel submitted a "Consensus Plan", in August 2002, to realign the
spectrum in the 800 MHz Land Mobile Radio Band to principally 1) mitigate public
safety interference; and 2) increase the spectrum available for public safety use. The
revised plan (12/24/02) would create a 16 MHz contiguous block of spectrum for Nextel
in the 800 MHz band and calls for the FCC to swap Nextel’s remaining 700/900/800
spectrum position for a 5 MHz x 2 (i.e. 10 MHz in total) contiguous spectrum block in
the 1.9 MHz band. Under Nextel’s plan, the company would still need to contribute $850
million to relocate public safety over the relocation period, potentially reimburse some
entities for previous Microwave relocation activities, and absorb transition costs to
reconfigure its own 800 MHz spectrum position. We still believe it is too early to
determine whether or not Nextel will receive “clean spectrum” in the swap as the FCC
has yet to provide an indication on the issue. We would not be surprised to see additional

competitive proposals presented for the public safety swap before the end of the current
comment period. We believe a decision by the FCC will be reached in late-2Q or early
3Q and highlight that reply comments are due on February 25, 2003. The benefits are
clear to us - a contiguous swath of spectrum in the 800 MHz band that should provide
greater efficiencies over the long-term and possibly a clean amount of PCS spectrum on
which Nextel can leverage.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/