Subject: [NEXTEL-1] In the Matter of GARMIN INTERNATIONAL, INC. Amendment of Sections 95.193(a) and 95.631(d) to Authorize Manufacture, Sale and Use of GPS Transmission Enhanced Family Radio Service Units

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:26:36 -0500

In the Matter of GARMIN INTERNATIONAL, INC. Amendment of Sections 95.193(a) and 95.631(d)
to Authorize
Amendment of Sections 95.193(a), 95.193(b), and
95.631(d) of the Commission’s Rules Governing
Permissible Communications in the Family Radio
Service

WT Docket No. 01-339
RM – 10070

I. INTRODUCTION
1. On December 20, 2001, we proposed to amend Sections 95.193(a), 95.193(b), and
95.631(d) of our Rules 1 to revise the scope of permissible communications and emission
types for Family
Radio Service (FRS) units.2 We initiated this proceeding in response to a petition filed
by Garmin
International, Inc. (Garmin), requesting that FRS units be allowed to transmit Global
Positioning System
(GPS) location information using emission type F2D 3 in a digital data burst of not more
than one second.4
For the reasons explained below, we are revising our FRS rules to modify the authorized
emission types
and permissible communications to allow a new and incidental use of the FRS. We believe
that
permitting the transmission of location information and text messages over FRS channels
will benefit the
public.

<SNIP>
VI. ORDERING CLAUSES

33. IT IS ORDERED that, pursuant to Sections 4(i), 4(j), and 303(r) of the Communications
Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. §§ 154(i), 154(j), and 303(r), that Sections 95.193(a),
95.193(b), and
95.631(d) of the Commission’s Rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 95.193(a), 95.193(b), and 95.631(d), ARE

AMENDED as set forth in the Appendix, effective thirty days after publication of the
Report and Order
in the Federal Register.

34. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the Commission’s Consumer and Governmental
Affairs Bureau, Reference Information Center, SHALL SEND a copy of this Report and Order,
including
the Final Regulatory Flexibility Certification, to the Chief Counsel for Advocacy of the
Small Business
Administration.

35. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that this proceeding IS TERMINATED.
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
Marlene H. Dortch
Secretary

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-26A1.pdf

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/