Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Township gives Collings Lakes squad deadline for records

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:02:02 -0500

February 4, 2003

Township gives Collings Lakes squad deadline for records

By ALAN RAPPEPORT Staff Writer, (609) 272-7219

BUENA VISTA TOWNSHIP - The Collings Lakes rescue squad was granted
one more extension to provide the committee with financial records before a
decision will be made to decide if they will receive additional financial
assistance from the township.

The squad has until 4 p.m. Wednesday to produce complete account
statements for three bank accounts, Nextel phone bills, and any other bills from
last year and this year that illustrate money paid or owed. A decision regarding
the request for additional funds will be made at a special closed-door meeting at
7 p.m. Thursday.

"If it's not all here then it's a refusal of the squad to turn over this information,
and that will be considered with whatever action they decide to take, if they
decide to take action," said Joe Gindhart, township solicitor. "No ifs, ands or
buts."

The squad asked for financial assistance three months ago, but the committee
has since sought its financial records to determine whether to increase the
annual $20,000 donation they already provide.

"The auditor can't make decisions unless he has all the records," an apparently
frustrated Gindhart said. "Do they have the money to continue operating? It is a
public safety concern."

Despite five letters and an ultimatum to provide the records, they remain
incomplete, Mayor Chuck Chiarello said last week.

Questions regarding the squad's alleged attempt to sell a new ambulance, and
excessive spending on cell phones and walkie-talkies concerned the
committee.

Chiarello said that the meetings regarding the matter were resolved to be held
behind closed doors because the issue represented the potentially legal matter
that could possibly lead to litigation against the squad.

"The township contributes 50 percent of their operating budget and can't get a
response to know that the money is being spent properly," Gindhart said.

A representative from the squad said she understood that no excuses would be
accepted for any documents missing this time.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/atlantic/020403BVT.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/