Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Trunking industry holds off on investment plans

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:21:46 -0500

Trunking industry holds off on investment plans

Story Filed: Monday, February 17, 2003 4:04 PM EST

MEXICO CITY, Feb 17, 2003 (El Universal/Corporate Mexico by Internet Securities, Inc. via
COMTEX) -- The trunking
industry has restricted its investment plans because the federal government has not freed
up a great part of the spectrum on
which they offer their services, said Gustavo Cantú, vice president of business
development at Nextel Mexico. Of the
spectrum for these radio-communications services, just 26.9% is occupied and the rest is
untouched. "The spectrum is an
essential and limited resource and the majority of the 800 MHz band is in the government's
cellar, while there are companies
that are open to using it and paying the debt to the Treasury and thus bring services to
more people," he said.Nextel, one of
the five principal telecom companies in the country, has had to by concessions to expand
its operations. To date, it has
acquired the spectrum from 20 concessionaires, Cantú said. The company made a proposal to
the government for a direct
assignation of the required spectrum, as established by the concession titles of trunking
operators, after the companies that have
appealed desist in these cases and once the Transport and Communications Secretariat (SCT)
modifies the titles to eliminate
the right to the spectrum.

http://library.northernlight.com/FE20030217400000105.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/