Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Realocates Spectrum For 3G Wireless

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:16:58 -0500

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2003/4826.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

FCC
Realocates Spectrum For 3G Wireless

3rd
February 2003

The
Federal Communications Commission has reallocated spectrum that can
be used to provide a variety of new wireless services, including advanced
wireless services (AWS), commonly referred to as “Third Generation”
or “IMT-2000.”

Inset
is FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell

The
Commission reallocated 30 megahertz of spectrum from the 2 GHz Mobile
Satellite Service (2 GHz MSS) to fixed and mobile services. The Commission
also sought comment on potential uses of an additional 15 megahertz
of spectrum previously identified for new wireless services and on increased
flexibility in the Unlicensed Personal Communications Service (UPCS)
band. These actions will facilitate more efficient use of existing spectrum
and enable an expanded array of innovative products and services for
consumers.

In
a Third Report and Order (“Order”), the Commission allocated
for fixed and mobile wireless services the 1990-2000 MHz, 2020-2025
MHz, and 2165-2180 MHz bands. The Commission concluded that 2 GHz MSS
– which is currently authorized to operate in the 1990-2025 MHz
and 2165-2200 MHz bands – can operate in less than the 70 megahertz
of spectrum it had previously been allocated. The Commission’s
action retains 40 megahertz of spectrum for 2 GHz MSS in the 2000-2020
MHz and 2180-2200 MHz bands. MSS providers are also operating elsewhere
below 3 GHz.

In
a Third Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (“Notice”) the FCC
sought further comment on use of the 1910-1920 MHz band. This band is
currently available for UPCS asynchronous (generally data) applications,
but at present is unused. This band – or a portion thereof –
could be paired with the 1990-2000 MHz band to support the development
of AWS, or could be used to support the relocation of other wireless
licensees. The Commission concluded that the 1920-1930 MHz band should
be retained for UPCS use and sought comment on whether it should provide
for additional flexibility in that band, as well as any additional spectrum
retained for UPCS use in the 1910-1920 MHz band. In the Notice, the
Commission also sought additional comment on potential uses for spectrum
in the 2155-2160/62 MHz band that is currently used by the Multipoint
Distribution Service (MDS), and the 2160-2165 MHz band identified for
emerging technology use. The Commission also sought comment on suitable
relocation spectrum for MDS licensees currently operating in the 2150-2160/62
MHz band, and asked what portions of the 2155-2180 MHz band could be
suitable for AWS use.

In a Second Memorandum Opinion and Order, the Commission denied a petition
for reconsideration seeking reallocation of the entire 2 GHz MSS band
for terrestrial wireless use.

Action
by the Commission on January 29, 2003, by Third Report and Order, Third
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, and Second Memorandum Opinion and Order
in ET Docket No. 00-258 (FCC 03-16). Chairman Powell, Commissioners
Abernathy, Martin, Adelstein with Commissioner Copps approving in part,
dissenting in part. Chairman Powell, Commissioners Copps and Adelstein
issuing statements.

This
Press Release Sponsored by AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

FCC
Realocates Spectrum For 3G Wireless

The
Federal Communications Commission has reallocated spectrum that can be
used to provide a variety of new wireless services, including advanced
wireless services (AWS), commonly referred to as “Third Generation”
or “IMT-2000.”

World's
Fastest CMOS DAC for 3G

The
price/performance point achieved enables the cost-effective realization
of high direct-IF multi-carrier systems for GSM, W-CDMA and UMTS,"
said Keith Horn, FMA's vice president of marketing.

3G
Will Justify Investment

UMTS
Forum Chairman Dr Bernd Eylert ( inset ) expressed confidence that Europe´s
investment in Third Generation mobile phone networks will be repaid by
widespread demand over the next ten years from customers for mobile Internet,
voice and data services.

Commission
to Hold Hearing on 3G

In
the frame of the public consultation on open platforms in digital TV and
3G running until 15 February, the Commission will hold a hearing on interoperability
and open platforms for digital television and 3G mobile communications.

Nokia
Confirms OMAPI 3G Usefulness

Nokia
acknowledges that the OMAPI standard initiative, announced by STMicroelectronics
and Texas Instruments in December 2002, is a significant and positive
step in building open mobile application processor interfaces, as well
as boosting growth in the mobile industry.

New
Sharp Sha-mail Wireless Phone

The
J-T09 features a 2.1-inch high-resolution poly-silicon TFT LCD, an embedded
CCD mobile camera and comes packed with photography, picture editing and
Sha-mail functions.

New
Toshiba Sha-mail Wireless Phone

The
J-SH010 features the mobile phone industry's largest 2.4-inch size "System
LCD" for unsurpassed high quality resolution and imaging. Those who
enjoy taking pictures will appreciate the J-SH010's highly sensitive built-in
CCD camera for VGA and QVGA photography

NEC's
Solutions for 3G Mobile Multimedia Services

n
a speech entitled "NEC's solutions for 3G Mobile Multimedia Services",
Mr Yoshiaki Ureshi, Assistant General Manager, International Mobile and
Wireless Systems Division, NEC Corporation, will comment on NEC's experiences
with technologies such as i-modeTM and 3G*, the transition to IP telephony,
and the role of key mobile internet solutions.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.