Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Local School Kids and Nextel Partners Unveil Three-Story ``American Art Flag''

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 23:03:35 -0500

Local School Kids and Nextel Partners Unveil Three-Story ``American Art Flag''
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-02-13

MOBILE, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 13, 2003--

Banner is Largest Community Art Flag in Mobile

Just in time for Presidents' Day Feb. 17, and in celebration of the American
spirit, local wireless services provider Nextel Partners (Nasdaq:NXTP) today
officially unfurled a three-story "American Art Flag."

Mobile city commissioners and nearly 100 local school children joined in the
unfurling this morning at Government Plaza in downtown Mobile, which
began with a moment of silence in honor of the crew and families of the
space shuttle Columbia.

Designed to capture the spirit, pride and imagination of local residents, the
banner is the largest community art flag created by the hands of local kids.
The 25-foot tall by 33-foot wide flag was constructed from 686 squares of red
and white fabric hand painted by elementary school students from Old Shell
and Dunbar Magnet Schools. Each patriotic square depicts "What America
means to me" as seen through the eyes of the children involved in the
project.

Beginning last November, the children and their teachers donated more than
2,500 hours to the colorful banner, which later will be on display at the
Colonial Bel Air Mall in Mobile.

"It's an inspirational collage of feelings and creativity that is truly
remarkable," said Brad Bowen, general manager, Nextel Partners. "The art
flag is a great reminder of what it means individually -- and collectively -- to
be American."

"This art flag is a great symbol of the American spirit and a wonderful
contribution to our community," said Mobile Mayor Mike Dow. "I commend
the students and teachers who participated in this project and thank them
for sharing with us what America means to them."

The "American Art Flag" is the latest community service initiative launched
by Nextel Partners, which donates thousands of dollars through in-kind
contributions of wireless phones and service to local community groups,
events and nonprofits each year. Nextel Partners' local office is at 3101
International Dr., Bldg. 7, Ste. 777, in Mobile, where it employs 17 people.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=36648401&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/