Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush Administration Raises Terror Alert

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:47:17 -0500

Bush Administration Raises Terror Alert

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration Friday raised the national
terror alert from yellow to orange, the second-highest level in the color-coded
system. Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) cited an
"increased likelihood" that the al-Qaida terror network would attack
Americans, either at home or abroad.

Ashcroft said apartment buildings, hotels or other
"lightly secured targets" in the United States
could be vulnerable. The attorney general also
said terrorists might seek "economic targets,
including the transportation and energy sectors,
as well as symbolic targets and symbols of
American power."

He told a Justice Department (news - web sites)
news conference the decision was based on an
increase in intelligence pointing to a possible
attack by Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s
organization timed to coincide with the hajj, the
annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi
Arabia, Islam's holiest site. The holy period
begins Saturday and ends mid-February.

Tens of thousands of pilgrims are traveling during
the period before and after the five-day Hajj,
straining the ability of security officials to keep
track of militants who might use the occasion to
reposition themselves.

The change in the alert level will trigger a
government-wide increase in security
precautions.

"We are not recommending that events be canceled," nor should individuals
change their travel, work or recreational plans, Ashcroft said.

Even so, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge urged Americans "in the
days ahead, take some time to prepare for emergencies." As an example,
Ridge suggested that families devise plans for contacting one another if
separated by an emergency.

"Terrorist attacks can really take many forms," he said.

White House press secretary Ari Fleischer (news - web sites) said the
decision to raise the alert level was made after the president's daily CIA
(news - web sites) and FBI (news - web sites) briefings and upon the
recommendation of Ashcroft and Ridge. That recommendation was delivered
after the homeland security council spent over an hour poring over new
intelligence in the White House situation room.

When given the recommendation, Bush said, "I agree. Change the code,"
according to Fleischer.

The alert has been at code yellow, or "elevated," which is the middle of a
five-point scale of risk developed after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. It was last
raised to orange in September and stayed there for two weeks to coincide
with the first anniversary of the attacks. The highest alert level is red.

Ashcroft said there was a "sound basis" for the decision. However, he
declined to go beyond that.

"This decision for an increased threat condition designation is based on
specific intelligence received and analyzed by the full intelligence
community. This information has been corroborated by multiple intelligence
sources," Ashcroft said.

Other officials said U.S. preparation for a possible war with Iraq was also a
factor in the decision to raise the alert status.

"Since September the 11th, the U.S. intelligence community has indicated
that the al-Qaida terrorist network is still determined to attack innocent
Americans, both here and abroad," Ashcroft said.

He said the recent bombings of a nightclub in Bali, Indonesia, and of a
resort hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, "demonstrate the continued willingness of
al-Qaida to strike at peaceful, innocent civilians."

Ashcroft also said the global terror network could even try to mount a
chemical, biological or radiological attack.

Ridge said local and state law enforcement
agencies, the nation's governors, many
mayors and Congress had been informed in
the change in the alert status. "We're asking
all these leaders to increase their security and
vigilance wherever necessary," he said.

Ridge outlined the threat Friday morning in a
conference call with the nation's governors,
urging them to increase their security efforts
and discussing confidential security
precautions. He also plans to talk to
congressional leaders and to several dozen
business leaders who control critical infrastructure, which could include
electric power grids, dams or nuclear plants.

The public will likely see some changes, such as delays at some facilities
and events and some buildings will be harder to enter. Other precautions,
however, will be secret and go largely unnoticed by most people.

Examples cited by Fleischer included more random inspections of
baggage at airports, tighter scrutiny at U.S. orders and more checks of
cargo coming into U.S. ports.

Government officials have grown increasingly concerned about the
likelihood of terrorist attacks within the United States as intelligence
sources are reporting an increase in terrorist activity or "chatter." One
official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said this activity appeared to
be peaking and was rivaling that seen before the Sept. 11, 2001 terror
attacks.

Officials are increasingly worried that al-Qaida and other terrorist groups
might try to use chemical, biological or radiological weapons such as a
"dirty bomb" that spews radiation into the atmosphere over a relatively
confined area. There is no evidence, they say, that al-Qaida has acquired
nuclear weapons but there is ample proof that it was working with a
variety of harmful substances.

There is also concern that individual al-Qaida member or sympathizers
could attempt small-scale attacks, such as a shooting or suicide bombing.

The State Department on Thursday issued a worldwide caution to
Americans about a greater risk of terrorism, including "suicide operations,
assassinations or kidnappings" as well as use of chemical or biological
agents.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=544&e=1&u=/ap/20030207/ap_on_go_pr_wh/terror_alert

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/