Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Will Wireless Feed Flying Fears?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 12:29:54 -0500

Will Wireless Feed Flying Fears?

By Elisa Batista

02:00 AM
Feb. 01, 2003

Here's a tidbit skittish Britannia Airways
(http://www.britanniaairways.com/) flyers may not want to read:

To save paper, Britannia has equipped every one of its cockpits
with IBM ThinkPad computers that have wireless connectivity to
receive regular updates from London's Luton Airport.

The laptops will eliminate approximately 40 pounds of paper safety
manuals the pilots must take with them on every flight. The
technology will also trim preparation time for the pilots because
it will automatically perform certain distance and time
calculations for them.
The airline appears to be at ease with the technology. But what
about passengers?

The Federal Aviation Administration has documented instances in
which laptop computers have interfered
(See http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41273,00.html) with
cockpit instruments. The FAA currently prohibits
the use of all portable electronic devices, including laptops and
CD players, during takeoff and landing on all flights.

But IBM says that the Civil Aviation Authority in Britain deemed
the ThinkPads safe.

"They did some testing and there was minimal interference," an IBM
spokeswoman said. "The updates would happen only when they landed
in the airport."

Bon voyage!

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,57509,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/