Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] USATODAY.com - Mobile industry struggles in wireless Web endeavors

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:46:31 -0600

> The system operates in the 900-MHz band and was developed by Ericsson 
> many years ago.

And also the 800 band.

> Devices on the Cingular and Motient networks have a static address and 
> can be easily "found." There is no "roaming" and because the devices 
> are always on and listening to the network, users get the impression 
> that coverage is far better than it really is. Why is this?

The writer claims the lack of roaming is a feature. Unless Cingular 
users are allowed on a Motient network and vice-versa, then no, there is 
no "roaming". Either you're in-network or you aren't. As for the devices 
being easily found, I see no technical distinction between this and the 
text messaging capabilities of GSM and PCS networks.

> CDPD uses Cellular AMPS channels that are needed for the carriers 
> while the Cingular and Motient networks use channels that are not part 
> of the cellular band. 

The AMPS channels are practically surplus [ sshhh! Don't tell Congress 
or the FCC! ]. If you're a subscriber in the vicinity of a PCS or GSM 
network then you're not impacted by extra users down on the AMPS band.

> This means that CDPD would have to sacrifice some of its cellular 
> spectrum for upgrades but Cingular Interactive and Motient do not, and 
> the number of customers on these networks is still growing.

I'm really not sure why AT&T and others are phasing out CDPD. Is it a 
maintenance cost issue? There are some business decisions working here 
of which I'm not aware.

-rick

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/