Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless interoperability key to EM success

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:33:14 -0500

Wireless interoperability key to EM success
By Robert E. Lee, Jr., and Julio Murphy
Program Managers, Federal Public Safety Wireless Network

Emergency management is a team effort with response plans that rely on cooperation and
coordination among local, state and
federal agencies. For the team to be truly effective, public safety responders need to be
able to talk to each other by radio,
seamlessly and in real time.

This interoperability is critical for large-scale incidents (such as terrorist attacks)
and day-to-day public safety missions and
mutual-aid events, as well as natural disasters such as hurricanes, floods and forest
fires.

Nationwide Issue

Unfortunately, many areas across the country lack this basic capability. In fact, a Public
Safety Wireless Network (PSWN)
Program analysis shows that more than two-thirds of states do not have adequate
interoperable public safety wireless
communications systems. (See accompanying article on Virginia's interoperability efforts.)
These studies also show that
public safety officials across the nation have trouble communicating in operational
situations one-third of the time.

The PSWN Program is committed to assisting public safety agencies with their plans to
address and improve public safety
communications. Drawing on its expertise and experience in interoperable wireless
communications, the program links the public
safety community at all levels of government to improve communications capabilities
through technical and policy solutions.

Lessons Learned

The program's analysis of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack response has identified
a variety of factors that can contribute
to the success of communications during large-scale incident response:

Interoperable communications among the first responding agencies
Prior planning and existing mutual-aid agreements
Early establishment of an Incident Command System (ICS)

To enhance communications interoperability in responding to routine and major incidents,
emergency managers can take the
following steps:

Partner, partner, partner. Establish mutual-aid agreements and standard operating
procedures — not only among local
agencies, but also among state and federal public safety agencies.
Employ the ICS to enhance communications efforts in emergency response situations.
Conduct mass-casualty and disaster-response training drills to identify existing
capabilities and potential shortfalls.
Conduct a communications asset inventory to identify tools and their capabilities.
Support efforts in your state to establish regional and statewide communications systems
that can support interoperable
communications among multiple agencies.

Participate in a group focused on improving interoperability in your state (i.e., your
state's interoperability executive
committee).

Educate legislators in your state about the critical need for wireless interoperability
and about the specific need for adequate
spectrum and funding resources.

Attend a PSWN Program symposium to network with other officials and learn about best
practices for improving
interoperability from agencies around the country.

From: VDEM

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/