Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NTIA To Be Eliminated-Victory Gets Bumped Down

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:20:36 -0500

Thursday, February 13, 2003

Commerce Department Announces Plan for
Modernization of Technology Agencies

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Don Evans announced today that he will
propose to modernize the structure for the Department’s formulation
of technology and telecommunications policy. The new structure will
combine the Technology Administration (TA), the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), and the
e-commerce policy functions of the International Trade
Administration (ITA) into one consolidated and well-coordinated
agency.

“Convergence is the business model in the digital economy – it should
be the business model in the federal government,” said Secretary
Evans. “This Administration understands that our global marketplace
has changed and that telecom and technology operate together, not
separately. We need to adjust our thinking and adjust our structure
to keep pace with the world, our economy and innovation.”

The Department of Commerce currently develops and implements
technology and telecommunications policy in three bureaus: the TA,
NTIA, and ITA. To complement the recent convergence in the private
sector of technology and communications companies, Secretary
Evans is proposing to reorganize Departmental personnel and
management to facilitate coordination in domestic and international
policy development for these increasingly inter-related sectors of the
economy.

“These changes make sense -- for the Department, for industry, and
for the American people,” said Deputy Secretary of Commerce Sam
Bodman, “and they support the President's focus on improving
management and policy coordination across government.”

“These organizational changes will institutionalize the effective and
productive working relationship that I have developed with TA under
the leadership of Under Secretary Phil Bond, and this also puts in
place a workable structure that will benefit our successors in the
years to come,” said Nancy J. Victory, Assistant Secretary for
Communications and Information and NTIA Administrator. “What
matters most is performance and results, and we believe these
organizational changes will help us accomplish our jobs and better
serve the American people.”

Under the new organizational structure being proposed, the Under
Secretary for Technology would oversee the new agency that would
focus on a range of issues including technical standards, spectrum
management, and technology and e-commerce policy issues.

“The synergy between technology and telecommunications is a global
reality,” added Under Secretary of Technology Phil Bond. “Bringing TA
together with the NTIA and a portion of ITA will enhance the
Administration’s focus on issues critical to our innovation economy
and America’s technological leadership. We look forward to working
with Congress on this proposal.”

The proposed changes will require Congressional approval.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/