Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 800 MHz Plan Must Address Interference Issues Immediately

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:41:22 -0500

800 MHz Plan Must Address Interference Issues Immediately

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) last
night filed comments stating that, while the industry remains committed to resolving
interference issues in the 800 MHz band, CTIA “cannot support the proposal of the Joint
Commenters.”

“This is an issue that demands swift resolution,” said Tom Wheeler, President and CEO of
CTIA. “The Joint Commenters’ plan is unnecessarily complex, extremely resource intensive
and will take nearly four years to complete. And, it will only reduce, not eliminate,
interference for the public safety community. This solution is neither swift nor sure, and
the FCC should not deceive itself into thinking that the so-called “Consensus Plan” is the
answer to its problems.”

In its filing, CTIA raised a number of issues concerning the plan, describing it as
dangerously flawed. In particular, the plan:

· Relies on a risky installment payment mechanism to fund the proposed realignment, which
the Commission has correctly abandoned in other contexts;

· Creates an unfair advantage for some existing licensees within the 800 MHz band;

· Asks the Commission to violate Section 309 (j) of the Communications Act by giving
Nextel spectrum for terrestrial wireless services outside of auctions;

· Does not provide a timely solution to interference problems that need immediate
attention; and,

· Fails to provide an effective long-term solution to interference problems.

CTIA noted that other solutions are available, which are less difficult and more timely.
CTIA’s plan would focus on case-by-case mitigation, providing immediate relief for
affected parties. Second, CTIA suggests that, if necessary, the 800 MHz band be
restructured within that band to minimize interference. Finally, the 700 MHz band, where
24 MHz of spectrum has already been reserved for public safety, should be the long-term
solution for Public Safety communications.

The text of CTIA’s comments can be found at http://www.wow-com.com/industry/policy/legal/.

CTIA is the international association for the wireless telecommunications industry,
representing carriers, manufacturers and wireless Internet providers.
http://www.wow-com.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/