Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Toshiba Sha-mail Wireless Phone

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:17:24 -0500

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2003/4816.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

New
Toshiba Sha-mail Wireless Phone

3rd
February 2003

J-PHONE
Co., Ltd. announced it will offer two new Sha-mail (picture messaging)
handsets, the J-T09 by Toshiba and the J-SH010 by Sharp, for sale after
the end of February 2003. Sha-mail is a service that enables users to
send pictures as e-mail attachments.

The J-T09 features
a 2.1-inch high-resolution poly-silicon TFT LCD, an embedded CCD mobile
camera and comes packed with photography, picture editing and Sha-mail
functions. In addition, users can read the full text of e-mails while
the handset is closed using its large, 1-inch sub-display. Those requiring
simple operation and large-size characters can be at ease using the
"Simple Mode 2" interface. Text entry has also been made easy
with the inclusion of "Mobile Rupo", which includes predictive
entry functions and AI character conversion.

The J-SH010 features
the mobile phone industry's largest 2.4-inch size "System LCD"
for unsurpassed high quality resolution and imaging. Those who enjoy
taking pictures will appreciate the J-SH010's highly sensitive built-in
CCD camera for VGA and QVGA photography and a wide range of features
have also been included to take advantage of the handset's QVGA display
capability. Other convenient functions include a bar code reader and
composer as well as a mobile light even brighter than those found in
previous models.

With the addition
of the J-T09 and J-SH010 to the J-PHONE lineup, there are now a total
of 25 Sha-mail handsets*, thereby bringing the pleasures of Sha-mail
to an even greater number of people.

Main Features of the J-T09 (Manufactured by Toshiba) 2.1-inch high-resolution
poly-silicon TFT LCD and embedded CCD mobile camera

Images and text are easy to view with the J-T09's 144 x 176 pixel, 65,536
color, large-size 2.1-inch high resolution poly-silicon TFT LCD. The
handset's 110,000 effective pixel CCD mobile camera excels at minimizing
camera shake and vividly brings out the detail of photography subjects.

Full range of features
for photography, picture editing and Sha-mail

The J-T09 brings even more enjoyment to Sha-mail by adding features
such as 4x digital zoom, a motor drive mode for taking 4 shots in succession,
camera settings for photo effects and editing functions like photo modification
and frame or text insertion options. Furthermore, the J-T08 comes with
a "One-touch Sha-mail" feature where after having taken a
photo, users can send it as an e-mail attachment just by pressing the
mail button. There are also other convenient Sha-mail functions such
as "travel photography mode" where location and time can be
inserted by pressing a button while taking a snap.

Large-size 1-inch
sub-display for reading e-mail while phone is closed

The back of the J-T09 features a large-size, approximately 1-inch 65,536
color sub-display capable of displaying the time and wallpaper while
on standby mode as well as the main text of incoming e-mails. If the
user enters caller settings, the sub-display can also display corresponding
images when there is an incoming call. In addition, the J-T09 comes
with other convenient functions like a kitchen timer and a stopwatch.

"Simple Mode
2": an easy-to-use interface with large characters

The J-T09 comes with "Simple Mode 2", an interface that limits
functions of the handset to only the essential ones, allowing people
new to mobile phones and elders to use their handsets worry-free. Reading
call notifications and function menus are made easy with a jumbo-size
font exclusive to the interface. In addition, up to two numbers can
be stored for dialing at one touch of a button.

"Mobile Rupo"
with word prediction and AI character conversion for easy text entry

The J-T09 uses the "Mobile Rupo" system for text entry. When
entering a character, users can choose from up to 10 options using the
predictive text function. The AI character conversion feature is context
sensitive and chooses the correct kanji (Chinese characters) for smooth
text entry. For convenient e-mail composition, the J-T09 comes with
a "personal dictionary" function that does intelligent kanji
conversions based on past e-mails for up to five different correspondents.

J-T09 Main Specifications Width x Height x Thickness Approx. 48 x 95
x 23mm (when folded, not including antenna protrusion)

Weight Approx. 105g

Continuous talk time/Continuous standby time Approx. 120 min./310 hrs.
(when folded)

Maximum no. of displayable characters (full size) 120 characters (12
characters by 10 lines)/81 characters (9 characters by 9 lines)/30 characters
(6 characters by 5 lines)

Mail storage capacity Up to 1000 mails

Ring tone voices 40

Java[TM] application storage capacity (maximum no.) Not available

Bilingual interface Available

Handset colors Metallic silver, pearl white, rose pink, midnight blue
(see photo)

Suggested retail
price (standard set): open price

The standard set consists of the mobile handset, a battery pack, rapid
charger and desktop cradle.

Availability

After late February 2003

This
Press Release Sponsored by AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

FCC
Realocates Spectrum For 3G Wireless

The
Federal Communications Commission has reallocated spectrum that can be
used to provide a variety of new wireless services, including advanced
wireless services (AWS), commonly referred to as “Third Generation”
or “IMT-2000.”

World's
Fastest CMOS DAC for 3G

The
price/performance point achieved enables the cost-effective realization
of high direct-IF multi-carrier systems for GSM, W-CDMA and UMTS,"
said Keith Horn, FMA's vice president of marketing.

3G
Will Justify Investment

UMTS
Forum Chairman Dr Bernd Eylert ( inset ) expressed confidence that Europe´s
investment in Third Generation mobile phone networks will be repaid by
widespread demand over the next ten years from customers for mobile Internet,
voice and data services.

Commission
to Hold Hearing on 3G

In
the frame of the public consultation on open platforms in digital TV and
3G running until 15 February, the Commission will hold a hearing on interoperability
and open platforms for digital television and 3G mobile communications.

Nokia
Confirms OMAPI 3G Usefulness

Nokia
acknowledges that the OMAPI standard initiative, announced by STMicroelectronics
and Texas Instruments in December 2002, is a significant and positive
step in building open mobile application processor interfaces, as well
as boosting growth in the mobile industry.

New
Sharp Sha-mail Wireless Phone

The
J-T09 features a 2.1-inch high-resolution poly-silicon TFT LCD, an embedded
CCD mobile camera and comes packed with photography, picture editing and
Sha-mail functions.

New
Toshiba Sha-mail Wireless Phone

The
J-SH010 features the mobile phone industry's largest 2.4-inch size "System
LCD" for unsurpassed high quality resolution and imaging. Those who
enjoy taking pictures will appreciate the J-SH010's highly sensitive built-in
CCD camera for VGA and QVGA photography

NEC's
Solutions for 3G Mobile Multimedia Services

n
a speech entitled "NEC's solutions for 3G Mobile Multimedia Services",
Mr Yoshiaki Ureshi, Assistant General Manager, International Mobile and
Wireless Systems Division, NEC Corporation, will comment on NEC's experiences
with technologies such as i-modeTM and 3G*, the transition to IP telephony,
and the role of key mobile internet solutions.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.