Subject: [NEXTEL-1] No Need to Touch That Dial for Emergency Weather News

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:03:05 -0500

February 13, 2003

No Need to Touch That Dial for Emergency Weather News

By ERIC A. TAUB

When severe weather conditions or other natural disasters may be imminent, many Americans
rely on special radios that
automatically sound an alarm and speak an alert. That technology, which relies on a
service of the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration, will soon be available in a new version for televisions as
well.

Beginning this May, RCA will offer six Alert Guard television models, in 20-, 27-, and
32-inch screen sizes, that will double as
all-hazards alert systems. More information about the sets, which are expected to sell for
$299 to $1,000, will be available soon at www.rca.com.

The sets would interrupt the program to sound an alarm and either display or speak a
written or verbal warning of an impending
weather emergency, a missing-person broadcast, or a terrorist or military attack. The
NOAA's National Weather Service
decides which of more than 30 climatic emergencies should be broadcast; local governmental
agencies handle the other alerts.

If they wish, owners of the sets can hear a customizable audio alarm while they are
watching television or using a connected
VCR, DVD player or video game console. The alarm can also be set to work even if the set
is turned off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/13/technology/circuits/13noaa.html?pagewanted=print&position=top

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/