Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Conservation groups accuse cell phone towers of bird cull carnage

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:45:20 -0500

Conservation groups accuse cell phone towers of bird cull carnage

Three USA based conservation organizations have filed a formal petition with the telecoms
regulator, the FCC demanding that it immediately cease issuance of licenses for new
communication towers along the Gulf Coast. The petitioners, including American Bird
Conservancy, Forest Conservation Council and Friends of the Earth say no more towers
should be constructed until completion of an environmental impact statement, addressing
the alleged adverse effects of communications towers in the Gulf Coast region on migratory
birds.

The Gulf Coast, defined here as a 100-mile wide belt along the southern Gulf Coast from
Port Isabel, Texas to Tampa Bay, Florida, is a recognized critical stopover region for
neotropical migratory birds. The three organizations say that birds are drawn to the
lights atop the towers, particularly at night and during low cloud, circle in confusion,
dying by the thousand in collisions with the tower, its guy wires and related structures,
each other, or even the ground.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that as many as 40 million birds are killed
each year in these collisions nationwide.

The petition cites violations of the National Environmental Policy Act ("NEPA"),
Endangered Species Act ("ESA"), and Migratory Bird Treaty Act ("MBTA"). The groups are
seeking an order from FCC mandating preparation of environmental reviews on 5,797 towers
that were illegally authorized using a loophole in environmental regulations. Tower
companies are alleged have been allowed to build structures harmful to migratory birds
with no environmental documentation or public oversight. The petition calls for the
preparation of a comprehensive environmental impact statement ("EIS") on FCC's overall
licensing program in the Gulf Coast region, as well as proper implementation of public
participation procedures. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has already recognized the
need for a comprehensive EIS on the FCC's tower licensing program and has requested such a
document directly from the agency.

Gerald Winegrad, Vice President for Policy at American Bird Conservancy said, "The FCC and
the tower industry must address the environmental impact of these towers both individually
and on a cumulative basis. Builders of roads, pipelines, and other structures are held
accountable for the environmental consequences of their actions; builders of towers should
be no different."

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has produced guidelines for mitigating the impacts of
cell towers on migratory birds, yet none of the structures covered by the petition has
been constructed in a manner consistent with these measures.

Posted to the site on 21-Feb-03

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/