Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Federal tech agency reorganization proposed

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:30:25 -0500

Federal tech agency reorganization proposed
February 13 16:05:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Commerce Secretary Don Evans today announced major technology reorganization, a
shift that would
combine the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the Technology
Administration and the
International Trade Administration into one organization and effectively make Under
Secretary for Technology Phil Bond
the administration’s high-tech czar.

“Convergence is the business model in the digital economy—it should be the business model
in the federal government,”
said Evans. “This administration understands that our global marketplace has changed and
that telecom and technology
operate together, not separately. We need to adjust our thinking and adjust our structure
to keep pace with the world,
our economy and innovation.”

NTIA chief Nancy Victory, whose agency advises the White House on telecom policy and
manages federal government
spectrum, would report to Bond.

The proposed reorganization requires congressional approval.

Until recently, Bond had a dual role as head of the Technology Administration and chief of
staff to Evans. Bond still
serves on four committees of the President’s National Science and Technology Council, a
cabinet-level panel.

Bond was director of federal public policy for Hewlett-Packard Co. before joining the
Commerce Department in 2001.
From 1993 to 1998, Bond was chief of staff to Rep. Jennifer Dunn (R-Wash.) and prior to
that served as legislative liaison
for then-Defense Secretary Dick Cheney.
-- http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7136
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/