Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Patent Battle over BlackBerry Technology Heats Up

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:29:24 -0500

This is like fight over AMPS technology-----

Geeeezzzeeeeee!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patent Battle over BlackBerry Technology Heats Up

In another round in the dispute over patents related to BlackBerry wireless
messaging technology, Virginia-based NTP Inc. filed court documents alleging
that BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion (RIM) unfairly lobbied the U.S.
Patent and Trademark Office to reexamine five patents held by NTP. In a rare
occurrence, the Patent and Trademark Office said it would reexamine NTP's
five patents. The patents were key in a decision against RIM in the Federal
District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. A jury found that RIM had
infringed on NTP's patents. The judge in the case is scheduled on February 28
to hear arguments on whether damages against RIM should be tripled, and
whether NTP should be awarded a permanent injunction that would immediately
halt RIM's BlackBerry business. Separately, many BlackBerry users in the
U.S. experienced service outages on Thursday, February 13. A spokesman for
Cingular Wireless said there was a network interruption based on a database
error. Cingular and RIM worked together to correct the problem and service was
restored by 10:30 p.m. Cingular Wireless carries most U.S. BlackBerry traffic
on its Mobitex network.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/