Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 3G Will Justify Investment

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:16:35 -0500

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2003/4824.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

3G
Will Justify Investment

3rd
February 2003

UMTS
Forum Chairman Dr Bernd Eylert ( inset ) expressed confidence that Europe´s
investment in Third Generation mobile phone networks will be repaid
by widespread demand over the next ten years from customers for mobile
Internet, voice and data services.

Speaking at the
"Mobile Services Showcase: The Driver For Mobile Business"
event - jointly hosted by BITKOM and the UMTS Forum at the Fraunhofer
Institute for Open Communication Systems in Berlin - Dr Eylert stated
that mobile customers in Europe are already on an evolutionary path
to UMTS.

"For the industry,
UMTS means more network capacity, more speed and a platform to offer
enriched capabilities. For end-users, however, it simply means exciting
new services. The growing success of services like picture messaging
in the Far East shows that customers´ mobile needs and expectations
are evolving. With UMTS, European operators can satisfy demand for data
services on the move from business users and consumers throughout the
next decade and beyond."

Addressing an audience
of government officials and mobile industry representatives - including
application developers from the computing, automotive, media, gaming,
location and financial services industries - Eylert predicted that UMTS
will drive growing revenues for operators in parallel with continued
demand for 2G and 2.5G networks.

"Operators
see 3G as part of a roadmap to more customers and a higher monthly spend
on voice and data services. While voice will continue to dominate usage
patterns for many years to come, 3G comes into its own as customers
demand high bandwidth services like videoconferencing, multiplayer gaming
and high-speed Internet access. This is where UMTS networks offer application
developers an advantage that 2G and even 2.5G cannot satisfy in the
long term."

This
Press Release Sponsored by AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

FCC
Realocates Spectrum For 3G Wireless

The
Federal Communications Commission has reallocated spectrum that can be
used to provide a variety of new wireless services, including advanced
wireless services (AWS), commonly referred to as “Third Generation”
or “IMT-2000.”

World's
Fastest CMOS DAC for 3G

The
price/performance point achieved enables the cost-effective realization
of high direct-IF multi-carrier systems for GSM, W-CDMA and UMTS,"
said Keith Horn, FMA's vice president of marketing.

3G
Will Justify Investment

UMTS
Forum Chairman Dr Bernd Eylert ( inset ) expressed confidence that Europe´s
investment in Third Generation mobile phone networks will be repaid by
widespread demand over the next ten years from customers for mobile Internet,
voice and data services.

Commission
to Hold Hearing on 3G

In
the frame of the public consultation on open platforms in digital TV and
3G running until 15 February, the Commission will hold a hearing on interoperability
and open platforms for digital television and 3G mobile communications.

Nokia
Confirms OMAPI 3G Usefulness

Nokia
acknowledges that the OMAPI standard initiative, announced by STMicroelectronics
and Texas Instruments in December 2002, is a significant and positive
step in building open mobile application processor interfaces, as well
as boosting growth in the mobile industry.

New
Sharp Sha-mail Wireless Phone

The
J-T09 features a 2.1-inch high-resolution poly-silicon TFT LCD, an embedded
CCD mobile camera and comes packed with photography, picture editing and
Sha-mail functions.

New
Toshiba Sha-mail Wireless Phone

The
J-SH010 features the mobile phone industry's largest 2.4-inch size "System
LCD" for unsurpassed high quality resolution and imaging. Those who
enjoy taking pictures will appreciate the J-SH010's highly sensitive built-in
CCD camera for VGA and QVGA photography

NEC's
Solutions for 3G Mobile Multimedia Services

n
a speech entitled "NEC's solutions for 3G Mobile Multimedia Services",
Mr Yoshiaki Ureshi, Assistant General Manager, International Mobile and
Wireless Systems Division, NEC Corporation, will comment on NEC's experiences
with technologies such as i-modeTM and 3G*, the transition to IP telephony,
and the role of key mobile internet solutions.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.