Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Router

From: Jay J Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:16:54 -0500

Forgot to CC the mailing list...

As far as MIPV4 is concerned, there
is no hard requirement for such configuration in the specification.
However the H and F fields in the agent advertisement packet are separate
so it should be possible to support HA/FA configuration (in fact per
interface rather than per node).  Actually, the latest Cisco routers
support this configuration.

Hope this helps.

At 10:57 AM 2/19/2003 -0800, you wrote:

I have a question. Should a router behave as
Home agent or Foreign agent or can it be both at the same time(Home and
Foreign).

Regards,

---

From: "Orhan GAZI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:02:41 -0800

You mean, both H and F fields in the agent advertisement packet can be
made set at the same time, don't you?
 
Regards,
 
P.S. In the book written by Perkins (Mobile IP .. 2nd printing) in
Advertisement part at page 46, the 4th line from the last, is "Either
the F bit ot the H bit is required to be set in any agent advertisement
message", from this sentence I understand that either the H bit or F bit
must be set but not both at the same time. Am I correct?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jay J Lee
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Router

As far as MIPV4 is concerned, there is no hard requirement for such
configuration in the specification.  However the H and F fields in the
agent advertisement packet are separate so it should be possible to
support HA/FA configuration (in fact per interface rather than per
node).  Actually, the latest Cisco routers support this configuration.

Hope this helps.

 

I have a question. Should a router behave as Home agent or Foreign agent
or can it be both at the same time(Home and Foreign).

Regards,

---

From: Hans Sjostrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:42:41 +0100

There's nothing that prevents you from defining both HA and FA service 
on the same interface, and thus having both the H and F fields in the 
advertivements set. Not in any Mobile IP enabled router I've seen.

The sentence that you qouted says that you must have atleast one of HA 
or FA services defined on an link, else there won't be any agent 
advertisements sent at all.

Regards
/// Hasse

Orhan GAZI wrote:
> Advertisement part at page 46, the 4th line from the last, is ?Either 
> message, from this sentence I understand that either the H bit or F bit

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:32:01 -0800

Hello Orhan,

It is perfectly legitimate for both of the bits to be set, if the
mobility agent wants to perform both services.

Regards,
Charlie P.

PS.  All the roles in the Mobile IP specifications are mutually
       compatible.  So, for instance, a single node should be able
        to perform the actions of a home agent, foreign agent,
        mobile node, and (if doing route optimization for IPv4)
        correspondent node, as needed.

Orhan GAZI wrote:

> the F bit ot the H bit is required to be set in any agent 
> advertisement message", from this sentence I understand that either 
> the H bit or F bit must be set but not both at the same time. Am I 
> correct?
>
>  
>
>  
>
> I have a question. Should a router behave as Home agent or Foreign 
> agent or can it be both at the same time(Home and Foreign).
>
>  
>
> Regards,
>