Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Remote-control plane tested to survey traffic, crops

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:55:14 -0500

Atlanta PD Could Have used This this Weekend-

Remote-control plane tested to survey traffic, crops
By DOUG BEIZER, The Virginian-Pilot
© February 8, 2003
Last updated: 11:56 PM

CHESAPEAKE -- The little yellow plane seen buzzing around Greenbrier Mall earlier this
week is no toy.

This 50-pound remote-control plane with a 12-foot wingspan might one day fly over highways
to study traffic or over farms to
monitor pests and plant diseases.

For now, GeoData Systems Inc. is testing the plane and its high-resolution video cameras
and multispectral sensors under a
U.S. Department of Transportation and NASA contract.

Despite a rough landing that included hitting a tree, the test flight went well, said
Ernest A. Carroll, president and CEO of the
Fairfax company. The crash caused about $2,000 worth of damage.

The tests are being performed in Chesapeake because of airspace restrictions placed on the
Washington, D.C., area after the
Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Carroll hopes to return to Chesapeake in a few weeks for more test flights.

``We think this technology is similar to where the Internet was in 1990,'' Carroll said.
``Hopefully, we'll be selling this product
by this time next year.''

The plane could be used by highway departments, construction companies and agricultural
operations.

The information collected is similar to what some satellites orbiting the planet collect.
But with the plane, the data's resolution is
3 inches to 1 foot, rather than the 30 to 100 feet most satellites are capable of
capturing, Carroll said.

And, the little yellow plane is much cheaper than satellites or manned airplanes.

``This vehicle is basically a very large model aircraft -- it's not a multimillion dollar
Air Force drone or anything like that,''
Carroll said.

Military drones like the Predator cost about $4 million just for the aircraft, Carroll
said. GeoData's system will cost between
$150,000 and $200,000 for the aircraft, ground station, onboard sensors, training and a
year of software support.

For Jim Etro's company Itri Corp., the small planes will fit right in with its work.

``We produce decision aids; basically our clients want a god's-eye view of their
enterprise, meaning the area and the
environment associated with it,'' Etro said.

The company plans to use the planes to monitor grapevines at a Northern Virginia vineyard.

``Before the naked eye would notice anything, this should detect the emergence of disease,
pests, or even the effects of
weather,'' Etro said.

Without the small planes, Itri Corp. was forced to use slow-moving manned planes like the
ones that pull advertising banners at
the Oceanfront.

``With the GeoData planes, you don't have all that overhead, like keeping the plane at the
airfield,'' Etro said.

The GeoData plane only needs about 50 feet of runway to get airborne using its 6.5
horsepower gas engine, Carroll said. It's
easy to fly and equipped with a parachute in case of problems.

Under the tests for the transportation department, GeoData is examining how well the plane
can monitor traffic speeds and
density. It is also checking nearby woods for gasoline or oil spills after car accidents.

Reach Doug Beizer at 222-5207 or [email-masked]

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/nw0208air.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/