Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sonim Joins PTT Club

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:28:06 -0500

Sonim Joins PTT Club
02.17.03

CANNES, France -- Sonim Technologies Inc., the leader in enabling today's wireless
data networks to deliver high-margin voice services, confirmed it's support for an
IMS-based standard for Push-To-Talk (PTT) announced by major industry leaders
this morning.

John Burns, president and CEO of Sonim said, "We are very pleased that industry
heavyweights including Ericsson, Nokia, and Siemens have confirmed their support
for an IMS based PTT solution. We set out three years ago to bring an IMS-compliant
service to market over GPRS, and today the industry has confirmed our approach.
Today's announcement of a PTT standard lays the groundwork for industry
collaboration and the ability to deliver an interoperable solution", said Burns.

For wireless users, PTT offers a new means of communicating with one or many
individuals at the push of a button on a wireless device. With Sonim-enabled PTT
services, users are able to view presence information of their friends and
colleagues, instantly connect in "walkie-talkie" mode with one or many of them, or
leave voice messages without calling.

"Despite being deployed commercially with no interoperability, limited range, and on
a limited set of devices, PTT is a multi-billion dollar service in North America. With
today's announcement, the worldwide GSM community has an interoperable and
scalable solution that can be deployed nationwide or even internationally from day
one," said Bob Plaschke, CFO and EVP of Marketing for Sonim. "Our mission has
always been to convince the industry that easy-to-use, high ARPU voice-based
messaging services like PTT could work on today's networks using industry
standards. Today's announcement ensures that operators can now immediately
rollout PTT with the Sonim Server, confident that the service will work across Nokia,
Siemens and other major handset manufacturers. Not only will this enable
operators to deliver new and compelling services like PTT, but they will also gain
invaluable experience with deploying SIP- and RTP-based services, making the
transition to 3G more of an evolution than a revolution."

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=28464

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/