Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Counting machines behind NAT :-(]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:59:50 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Jon Baer" <[email-masked]>
Subject:Counting machines behind NAT

This guy is not our friend, lol ...

http://www.research.att.com/~smb/

Just saw it on Slashdot ... here is a link to his paper which is an
interesting read ...

http://www.research.att.com/~smb/

-snip-
"Steve Bellovin of AT&T Labs Research has published a paper showing how to
remotely count the number of machines hiding behind a NAT box (in IMW 2002,
the Second Internet Measurement Workshop). Your friendly DSL or cable
broadband provider could implement this technique to enforce their
single-machine license clause. Bellovin explains how to change the NAT
software to defeat the measurement scheme, but the fix is complicated and
unlikely to appear in commercial home gateways anytime soon."
-snip-

- Jon

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/