Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Feb. 6, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:57:34 -0500

Dog Pound
------------------------------------
York County, Va. York's Department of Fire & Life Safety Claims to be the 1st Department
to implement E-911 Phase II technology in the state. Nextel and other carriers claim they
are already deploying a E-911 Phase II solution. Many carriers have opted for a handset
based solution, however privacy advocates question the potential for misuse. A complete
report of the State of Virgina's E-911 Status can be downloaded here: 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/files/Virginia%20Wireless%20E-%20911%20Service%20Board.pdf

More On York's E-911 implementation.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/dp-44419sy0feb05.story

--------------------------
The IEEE History Center has a feature on Police Communications dating back to the early
1900's.
The system installed by Detroit's Police Department was only "One Way" initially but it
alerted officers to crimes in progress giving them an edge over the bad guys. Amateur
radio buffs also played a role in the development of the system as they rode around town
in the back of a Ford Model T. 

More info is available here:

http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/milestones_photos/one_way.html

--------------------------
The Uniformed Fire Officers Association, Local 854 , I.A.F.F. , AFL-CIO is informing it's
members that 
the FDNY Crown Victoria's will be retrofitted with "Safety Kits" issued by Ford. After
noting "Thirteen law enforcement officers have been killed nationwide in Crown Victorias
after rear end collisions." The department has 93 Crown Victorias and they estimate 5 kits
could be installed per day. UFOA has asked members to alert them if they respond in a
Crown Victoria that has not been retrofitted.

More Info:

http://www.ufoa.org/prez/2003/gmm0103.html#five

--------------------------
HUNTSVILLE, Ala.-The City of Des Moines has signed a deal with Intergraph to improve
response time and to manage critical data. Intergraph and its partner Intergraph Public
Safety (IPS), will sell the City of Des Moines  components for computer aided dispatch,
law enforcement records management, in addition to Mobile Devices. Siemens ResponseMaster™
(GPS Based AVL) will interface with the IPS system.

More Info:

http://www.intergraph.com/pubsafety/mainpages/siemens.htm

--------------------------
Apparently their is a major battle brewing between Industrial Telecommunications
Association ("ITA") and The United Telecom Council (“UTC”) concerning an issue before the
FCC "Amendment of Sections 90.20 and 90.175 of the WT Docket No. 02-285 Commissions Rules
for Frequency Co-ordination RM-10077 Of Public Safety Frequencies in the Private Land
Mobile Radio Below-470 MHz Band". In ITA's filing with the commission they urged the
Commission to expand competitive frequency coordination services in all public safety
(P/S) and industrial/business (I/B) radio pools to all FCC-certified P/S and I/B frequency
coordinators. UTC viewed this as an attack on their bread and butter (Frequency
corrdination for these bands) and fired off reply comments to the commission stating "UTC
does not believe competitive coordination among all coordinators in both the PS and IB
pools is appropriate at this time;". In a widely circulated memo titled "ITA Seeks Access
to Your Frequencies". In the memo UTC said: "ITA filed a petition with the FCC seeking
authority to coordinate former Power, Railroad and Auto Emergency frequencies. UTC
suggests that its members "Act quickly to defeat consideration of the petition through
submitting letters detailing your concerns to John Muleta, Chief of the Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau".  This is going to get interesting.

Read All About it: 

UTC Comments to the FCC

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=65\13403869

Comments from ITA to the FCC

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6513403758

Excerpts from the UTA memo and comments on the UTC, ITA issue.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/4579

--------------------------
Janesville WI. The Communications Center serves all of Rock County WI, consisting of a
population of over 150,000 people spanning an area of 720 square miles. The Center is an
accredited communications center accredited by CALEA, all of their telecommunicators are
trained by APCO certified and have basic EMD training. Their website indicates their are
several advancement opportunities for telecommunicators and encourages potential
applicants to contact Rock County Human Resources Office, Rock County Courthouse, 51 South
Main Street, Janesville, WI  53545 (608)757-5520

http://www.co.rock.wi.us/departments/CommCenter/photos.htm
 
================================================
News and information from the wireless world.
Copyright 2003, Dog Pound Media Group.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/