Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ITA Power Railroad Auto Coordinate Request.pdf

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:55:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Denton
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 8:32 AM
To: [email-masked]; NEXTEL-1@yahoogroups.
com; 220@Yahoogroups. Com
Subject: RE: [PWF] The real ITA story behind the UTC presser

Thanks for your thoughts Todd.  I have attached an Acrobat copy.
Jeremy W. Denton
Director, Government Affairs
Industrial Telecommunications
  Association, Inc. (ITA)
T:  703-528-5115
F:  703-524-1074
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 8:20 PM
To: PrivateWirelessForum@yahoogroups. com; NEXTEL-1@yahoogroups.
com; 220@Yahoogroups. Com
Subject: [PWF] The real ITA story behind the UTC presser

Wow.this is incredible.  Imagine this posting by UTC being real!
Then again, this is all just imagination.but it's what showed up
in my mailbox this afternoon.  Time to set the issue straight -
here goes.
I have personally read the ITA request to be allowed to coordinate
in the three exclusive coordination services being requested.  The
statement below by UTC is flat out wrong.
Specifically, "It no doubt seeks this authority to be able to load
its primarily business and commercial members onto your
frequencies".  Purely an opinion - or scare tactic?  I think a
better way to say it would have been that "perhaps ITA seeks this
authority.", where the term "no doubt" casts a disparaging light
on the filing, aside from indeed casting lots of doubt.
Well, no doubt, this is NOT what ITA stated in their pleading, nor
is it what they are asking to do.
We predict that ITA will be successful in this endeavor, and with
the support of a number of utilities.  Competition may be a very
good thing in this case; all of the coordination work ITA has done
for our clients has been accurate, complete, timely, and priced
economically.  Something else for thought - how many power
utilities have licenses on VHF-Hi PW frequencies with allowed ERPs
higher than 2,500 Watts?  Yes, that's two thousand, five hundred
Watts.
We are wondering why our friends at UTC would make these comments
in such a public arena, but when I know first-hand what the truth
is, the Eagle Scout in me compels me to say something.  The link
on ECFS should be posted shortly, unless Laura or Jeremy post the
Acrobat copy of the filing to the lists.

Todd R. Ellis

UTC's Press Release:

ITA Seeks Access to Your Frequencies

The Industrial Telecommunications Association (ITA) this week
filed a petition with the FCC seeking authority to coordinate
former Power, Railroad and Auto Emergency frequencies. These
frequencies currently require coordination or consent by the
former exclusive service coordinator -- UTC, AAR or AAA.

ITA claims to represent all of these industries, a highly
questionable statement. It no doubt seeks this authority to be
able to load its primarily business and commercial members onto
your frequencies. Action by the FCC in favor of the petition would
remove UTC's limited ability to keep utilities and other,
incompatible licensees separated as much as possible through
careful coordination, and to protect mission-critical systems to
the full extent permitted under the FCC's Rules.

The petition has just been filed -- the FCC has not yet requested
comment. However, UTC suggests that its members act quickly to
defeat consideration of the petition through submitting letters
detailing your concerns to John Muleta, Chief of the Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau.

The FCC,in consolidating several former radio services into the
Industrial/Business Pool, wisely exempted critical infrastructure
industries from the completely competitive I/B environment by
requiring that all applications for the former Power, Petroleum,
Railroad and Auto Emergency pool channels be submitted through, or
with the concurrence of, the former service coordinator (ITA
already contracts with API to coordinate Petroleum frequencies,
and apparently already gets whatever consents it needs). With
growing congestion on these frequencies, the need for careful
coordination, by coordinators with a thorough knowledge of their
industries, is more important than ever to protect vital systems
necessary to provide basic services to the public.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/