Subject: [NEXTEL-1] State system may be radio fix

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:42:42 -0500

State system may be radio fix

By Bob Holliday
Pantagraph Staff

BLOOMINGTON -- Another day, another possible fix for the
county's radio system.

McLean County officials learned Wednesday that a statewide
digital system developed for state police could be available by
August, several years earlier than expected.

"This makes it a viable option," said McLean County Board Vice
Chairman Matt Sorensen, who is in charge of a committee
studying how to solve problems with the emergency radio
system.

No one knows how much the statewide system would cost. The
800 MHz StarComm 21 is produced by Motorola.

Sheriff Dave Owens said he'll study the new option closely. He
needs an immediate solution and quick action because
deputies complain of persistent transmission problems with
the current E.F. Johnson 800 MHz system.

To cope, they carry cell phones and double up on patrols from 3
p.m. to 7 a.m.

The committee, which met Wednesday, will get together again
next Tuesday immediately after the county board's meeting.

Owens will discuss the StarComm option then.

The sheriff has suggested using an 800 MHz Clear Talk
system, which he's tested and found acceptable.

That system could cost as much as $500,000, and the county
has no money budgeted for it.

Motorola representative Dave Lander said the StarComm
system is supported by 186 towers across Illinois, and more
towers could be added.

"I'm optimistic that this could be a long-term solution for all the
agencies in the county," Sorensen said.

Bloomington and Normal went to their own 400 MHz systems
after they had problems with the E.F. Johnson system.

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/021303/new_20030213017.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/