Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UNLICENSED RADIO BROADCASTER GETS 18 MONTHS PROBATION

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:15:45 -0500

UNLICENSED RADIO BROADCASTER BENJAMIN LEROY CARTER, AKA MALIK
”COPAFEEL” ABDUL, SENTENCED TO 18 MONTHS PROBATION, 4 MONTHS OF
WHICH WILL BE SERVED AS HOME CONFINEMENT

Washington, D.C. - Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced that
on February 5, 2003, in the United States Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division,
United
States Magistrate, Honorable David A. Baker sentenced Benjamin Leroy Carter to 18 months
probation, 4 months of which will be served as home confinement. In addition, Carter is
required to
perform 50 hours of community service.

The conditions of probation stipulate that Carter must not violate any Federal, State or
Local laws, including Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended. The case
was
prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s Office, Middle District of Florida, Orlando
Division.
The conviction and subsequent sentencing is the result of an investigation that began in
February of 1999. The Commission’s Tampa Florida Office received complaints from residents

and broadcasters in the Orlando, Florida area of interference to the reception of licensed
radio
broadcast stations in the area. Carter pled guilty to seven counts of unlicensed radio
operation and
agreed to forfeit all equipment used in connection with the unlicensed operation in
November of
2002.

The operation of an unlicensed broadcast station is a violation of Section 301 of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended. Operators of unlicensed stations may be subject to

monetary penalties of up to $11,000 per violation. In addition, unlicensed operators may
be subject
to criminal sanctions, including fines and imprisonment.

- FCC -

Enforcement Bureau Contact: John Winston at (202) 418-7450 / TTY 1(888) 835-5322
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
February 10, 2003
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
John Winston (202) 418-7450

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-231068A1.pdf

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/