Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Al-Jazeera Airs Purported bin Laden Tape

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:24:14 -0500

Tue, Feb 11, 2003

15:10 HRS

Middle East - AP

Al-Jazeera Airs Purported bin Laden Tape
7 minutes ago

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Al-Jazeera Arab satellite station
broadcast a new audio statement from Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)
on Tuesday in which he expresses solidarity with the Iraqi people.

Chief editor Ibrahim Hilal told The Associated Press the 16-minute tape
was a message to Iraqis to remain steadfast in the face of a potential
American attack.

Yasser Thabet, a broadcast editor at Al-Jazeera, said the tape appears to
be authentic because the television station got it through the same means
as previous bin Laden statements. He did not elaborate.

"When you listen to the tape, you can tell it's Osama bin Laden's voice,"
Thabet said.

Ahead of the broadcast, a headline at the bottom of the screen during
regular programming Tuesday night read, "Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden
calls on all Muslims to unite to defend the Iraqi people, in an audio message
Al-Jazeera will broadcast later."

Hilal said that on the tape, bin Laden urged Muslims not to cooperate with
the U.S against Iraq, saying any Muslim who cooperates with America
against another Muslim is an apostate.

He said the station was not sure it would air all of the tape, saying the
quality was not very good.

Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) told a Senate panel
Tuesday that what appears to be a new statement from Osama bin Laden
shows why the world needs to be concerned about Iraqi ties to terrorism.

Powell said he read a transcript of "what bin Laden — or who we believe to
be bin Laden" was to say on Al-Jazeera, "where once again he speaks to
the people of Iraq and talks about their struggle and how he is in partnership
with Iraq."

The last Bin Laden tape aired on Nov. 12 on Al-Jazeera. Bin Laden, in the
statement, promised new terrorist attacks.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=540&e=1&u=/ap/20030211/ap_on_re_mi_ea/bin_laden_tape

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/