Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Regional Tech Competition

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:08:21 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Regional Tech Competition

Recent articles of interest regarding the development of Shanghai and Albany, 
New York as technopolies . . . .

Albany aims to steal Austin's tech success: New York's capital, once seen as a 
backwater, is suddenly a top contender for high-tech jobs

"New York's capital is laying plans to storm past Austin as a high-tech hot 
spot. Albany, a high-tech afterthought only a few years ago, suddenly is a bona 
fide contender for prized chip industry research jobs, like the ones that 
International Sematech, an Austin-based consortium, will bring to its new 
branch research center here."

http://www.austin360.com/auto_docs/epaper/editions/sunday/news_3.html

**************************************************************************

Chinese computer chips closing technical gap: China's rapid move into computer 
chips has global market implications

"China's marriage of high-tech products and low-cost labor undercuts 
competitors in California's Silicon Valley, Austin's Silicon Hills and Oregon's 
Sunset Corridor. Malaysia and Singapore tally tens of thousands of high-tech 
jobs lost to China. Even Mexico is losing some "maquiladoras" -- border 
factories -- to China."

http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/monday/business_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/