Subject: [NEXTEL-1] How's Nextel's youth-oriented Boost Mobile experiment going?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:51:39 -0500

How's Nextel's youth-oriented Boost Mobile experiment going?

Well, it's still only available in California and Nevada, but there are
indications that Boost is performing well, and that it may be expanded to the
rest of the country.

Reston-based Nextel (http://www.nextel.com) partnered with an Australian
marketing firm to launch the service as a non-traditional wireless offering
targeting the ever-popular 18-24 age group. Phones and pre-paid calling
plans are sold in places like surf shops, and aren't branded 'Nextel' — a way
to kind of trick whippersnappers into thinking they're getting some new, cool
wireless offering designed just for them.

Nextel's partnering with go2 Directory Services to add a location-based
directory service to Boost. For 20 cents, hip youngsters can use their Boost
phones to quickly locate nearby clubs, restaurants or movie theaters and
keep the party going.

Chris Campbell, an analyst for Sterling-based Current Analysis
(http://www.currentanalysis.com), writes that the new service may be overkill
for some.

"Youth prepaid users are less mobile by nature, tending to stay within their
home calling area," Campbell writes in a recent research report. "As a result,
Boost subscribers are in less need of location finding services, due to the fact
they already know what their home calling area has to offer."

But the fact that Nextel is lining up new partnerships for Boost, more than six
months after launching what was originally intended as a six-month trial, is a
"strong indication that the company has met its investors' expectations,"
Campbell writes, "and that the carrier will continue to offer service, with the
possibility of expanding past its two current markets — California and
Nevada."

http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2003/02/10/newscolumn9.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/