Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Hotspots Hit 327% Growth in 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:23:57 -0500

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2003/4863.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Wireless
Hotspots Hit 327% Growth in 2002

11th
February 2003

Despite
the slowdown in the global economy, the demand for mobile connectivity
"anytime, anywhere" continued to accelerate and attracted
many new WLAN hotspot players, according to a new study from IDC. The
European hotspot market increased by 327% over the last year from 269
locations at the end of 2001 to around 1,150 locations at the end of
2002.

Inset
is Evelien Wiggers the analyst for this report who is quoted below.

In 2001 the deployment
of WLAN hotspots in Western Europe slowly took off. Except for the Nordic
region, where regulations were much more liberated, regulatory restrictions
in other parts of Europe initially hampered a successful rollout of
wireless public access services. When regulatory issues were changed
in 2002, a whole new range of hotspots were announced.

"In 2003 new
players will continue to enter the wireless LAN hotspot market. Not
only specialized WLAN companies will start deploying public services,
incumbent mobile operators and fixed operators are also expected to
combine WLAN services into their existing mobile offering," said
Evelien Wiggers, senior research analyst for IDC's European Telecommunications
and Networking research.

Throughout 2002
the number of hotspots grew dramatically — and so did the number
of operators. Most of these operators were greenfield players focusing
on their own region — very few operators offered their services
internationally and roaming possibilities were rare. The Western European
hotspot market is becoming increasingly fragmented and is very unclear
and complex for an end user. Although Telia Homerun operates 41% of
all the hotspots in Europe, it was difficult to get access to its network
when you were not in one of the Nordic countries. Also a Metronet subscriber
had to subscribe to another network when they wanted to access their
Internet outside Austria, even though Metronet rules the Austrian hotspot
market.

This
Press Release Sponsored by AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

3G
Rapid Expansion to Continue

he
CDMA industry continues to lead in 3G deployments, subscriber growth and
bringing advanced products and services to the market. 2002 saw tremendous
expansion of CDMA2000. 27 operators launched CDMA2000 networks, increasing
the number of commercial systems to 37 on five continents.

Alcatel
Partner with 3G / TD-CDMA Player

Alcatel
enhanced its leading role in next generation wireless broadband access
solutions, by announcing a strategic partnership with IPWireless, the
world's leading TD-CDMA (TDD) solutions company.

New
3G W-CDMA Programmable Baseband Processor

This
advanced W-CDMA programmable baseband processor fulfills emerging industry
demand by enabling terminal manufacturers to rapidly upgrade their existing
GSM/GPRS terminal designs to support multi-mode UMTS/GSM/GPRS.

3G
LAB Launches Trigenix 2.0 Mobile Interface

Trigenix
delivers a customised mobile interface that allows operators to deliver
a seamless and branded user experience driving up revenues by encouraging
their customers to connect to data services.

Mitsubishi
3G MOU

Radical
Horizon has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Mitsubishi
Electric to jointly work on the design of 3G test solutions that integrate
software defined radio (SDR) technology for the emulation of 3G networks.

4
Out Of 5 Wireless Phone Users Have Internet Access

Users
of mobile phone Internet services in Japan have exceeded 60 million people,
the Telecommunications Carriers Association announced on February 7 according
to its survey of mobile phone companies.

Wireless
Phone Receives Design Award

Cutting-edge
technology allied with top-class design – from now on, the new S-Class
mobile phone can proudly wear its laurels, in the shape of the Industrie
Forum (iF) Design Award 2003.

Wireless
Hotspots Hit 327% Growth in 2002

The
European hotspot market increased by 327% over the last year from 269
locations at the end of 2001 to around 1,150 locations at the end of 2002.

Professional
Images For 3G Phone Users

The
deal enables consumers to personalize their handsets with a wide variety
of premium images in categories that include animals, lifestyle imagery,
humorous characters, travel scenes and calendar-quality landscapes.

BenQ
3G Symbian OS Smartphones

BenQ
and Symbian Ltd announce that BenQ, a leading Taiwanese consumer electronics
manufacturer, has signed an agreement to license Symbian OS, the global
industry standard operating system for advanced mobile phones.

T-Mobile
Partnership On Wireless Game Services

T-Mobile
International and Nokia announced that they will co-develop innovative
mobile services globally for the Nokia N-Gage game deck. The new device
enables enriched interactive gaming by means of a wireless multiplayer
platform for both local and remote gaming.

3G
: UMTS Forum Has New Chairman

The
UMTS Forum has confirmed the election of Jean-Pierre Bienaimé,
Director of Group Technical Support at Orange, as its new Chairman, succeeding
Dr Bernd Eylert, who ends his four year term as Chairman of the Third
Generation mobile industry association.

3G
UMTS Licenses To Be Auctioned

I want more independent operators to enter the Norwegian mobile market.
Increased competition will give consumers better and cheaper mobile telephony
services, says Minister of Transport and Communications, Ms. Torild Skogsholm

Chinese
Govt to Distribute 3G Cell Phone Licenses

It
plans to approve licenses for TD-SCDMA, an original communications standard
developed in China, as well as the WCDMA (wide-band code division multiple
access) and cdma2000 standards now used in other countries.

CDMA
Wireless Base Station Order For China

Mitec
Telecom announced that it has received orders from a major network provider
to supply 800 MHz CDMA IS95 BTS micro base stations for supply to China
and South America. The value of the contract is estimated at CAN $8 million.

SK
Telecom May Delay 3G Roll-Out

SK
Telecom Chief Executive Officer Pyo Moon-soo ( inset ) said the company's
roll-out of third-generation (3G) mobile phone service is dependent on
the condition of the economy.

New
KDDI 3G BREW Handset

KDDI
Corp. and Okinawa Cellular introduce BREW, a new application platform
for mobile phones, for third-generation (CDMA2000 1x) handsets, which
offer high-speed data communications at speeds of up to 144 kbps.

3G
Myth Holding Back Smartphones

The
majority of UK corporate telecommunications infrastructure managers are
intent on delaying deployment of mobile data applications until 3G networks
are fully established, according to survey findings released today by
Intuwave, a leading developer of mobile middleware software and services.

$500
Million Chinese Contract for Wireless Video Phones

Calypso
Wireless announced it has signed a 3-year, $500 million contract with
China Telecom, a world class telecom carrier, for the delivery of Calypso's
cellular broadband video phones.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.