Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TI Addresses All GSM/GPRS Handset and Smartphone Market Segments With Its Expanded Family of TCS Chipset Solutions

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 02:13:46 -0500

TI Addresses All GSM/GPRS Handset and Smartphone Market Segments With Its
Expanded Family of TCS Chipset Solutions

CANNES, France, Feb. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- With advanced hardware-
based security features -- a first in the wireless industry -- as well as
increased performance and reduced power consumption, four new GSM/GPRS chipset
solutions from Texas Instruments Incorporated (NYSE: TXN) (TI) build on the
market success of their predecessor chipsets to enable compelling new
multimedia applications on wireless mobile devices addressing all market
segments.  The latest additions to the TCS family of chipsets offer the
industry's first hardware-based security features, which provide protection
against viruses and promote secure m-commerce and financial transactions on
mobile devices.
"With the rapid growth of GPRS, having a variety of highly differentiated
feature-rich handsets is increasingly crucial to consumers and wireless
operators," said Rick Kornfeld, vice president and general manager for TI's
wireless chipset business.  "Wireless terminal manufacturers require chipsets
that are specifically tailored to high-growth market segments -- from voice-
centric communications to rich multimedia devices.  These newest additions to
TI's TCS chipset family are designed to meet these stringent performance,
power, and size targets, while simultaneously providing strong security
features."
The latest additions to TI's GSM/GPRS chipset family -- the TCS2600,
TCS2620, TCS2200, and TCS2010 -- address the broad spectrum of wireless market
segments, beginning with voice-centric handsets, including mid-range color
Java-phones and smartphones, and extending to high-performance wireless PDAs
and handsets.  With increased communications and computing performance, strong
hardware-based security, low power consumption and significant board space
savings from greater component-level integration, the new chipsets are capable
of supporting the next wave of applications, such as secure m-commerce,
multimedia games and entertainment, location-based services, streaming media,
accelerated Java processing, web browsing, enhanced 2D graphics and many
others.
Because the new chipsets have integrated more functions onto fewer chips,
the bill of materials (BOM) for a mobile device design will be significantly
lower, increasing the competitiveness of the device when it reaches the
marketplace, enabling wireless Internet access for the masses.

The TCS2600 and TCS2620 Chipset Solutions -- TI's Next-generation
Smartphone Platform
Specifically targeted at the rapidly growing market for GPRS smartphones,
the new TCS2600 and TCS2620 chipsets leverage TI's OMAP(TM) platform and
extend the capabilities of the TCS2500 chipset.  In addition, to support EDGE
network deployment and the accompanying high data rate services, both chipsets
will be upgradeable to meet the requirements of the EDGE standard.
The TCS2600 features the new OMAP730 smartphone processor, which
integrates TI's market-proven Class 12 GPRS modem with an ARM926 general-
purpose processing (GPP) core dedicated to applications processing.  With GPP
speeds up to 200 MHz, the OMAP730 has double the application processing
performance over the previous generation OMAP710 processor, and like all OMAP
processors, provides support for leading mobile operating systems including
Microsoft's Smartphone and Pocket PC Phone Edition, Symbian OS and Series 60,
Palm OS(R), and Linux(TM).  In addition, TI's OMAP Developer's Network ensures
a continuous stream of compelling applications for all OMAP processors.
The TCS2620 chipset includes the new OMAP732 smartphone processor, which
has all the OMAP730 device features plus up to 256 Mb of stacked mobile SDRAM,
further reducing the size of smartphones and PDAs and consuming less power
than traditional external memory configurations.  Please see
http://www.ti.com/omap73x for additional technical information on the OMAP730 and
OMAP732 processors.
Hardware security features make the TCS2600 and TCS2620 the industry's
most secure wireless chipset solutions.  Protection against viruses, as well
as security of personal information and proprietary software or creative
content stored on mobile devices, is ensured through features like secure
bootloader, true hardware random number generator (RNG), secure execution and
storage environment, and hardware accelerators for bulk encryption and one-way
hashing.  In addition, both chipsets are compatible with TI's security
library, which is made up of software security modules from leading third-
party vendors.
The three-chip TCS2600 and TCS2620 chipsets also feature the new TWL3016
analog baseband (ABB) processor and the TRF6151 direct conversion, quad-band
single-chip radio frequency (RF) transceiver.  The TWL3016 ABB has complete
power management and high-fidelity audio subsystem integrated on-chip while
the TRF6151's direct conversion technology integrates numerous external
filtering devices, VCO and voltage regulator, reducing a manufacturer's BOM by
approximately 30 percent from comparable RF devices using a super heterodyne
architecture.

The TCS2200 and TCS2010 -- Building on the TCS2100 for New Market Segments
The two other new chipsets, the TCS2200 and the TCS2010, are based on the
same architecture as TI's TCS2100, a market-proven Class 12 GSM/GPRS chipset
that has been widely adopted by major manufacturers of wireless handsets.
The TCS2200 is specifically designed to meet the requirements for mass-
market applications-rich GPRS handsets, with on-chip support for Java MIDP2.0,
MP3/AAC music, MIDI, WAP, MMS and EMS, and more.  With expanded memory
resources, extensive on-chip connectivity capabilities like USB and seamless
integration with TI's 0.13u BRF6100 Bluetooth single chip solution,
manufacturers can quickly implement new functionality while reducing BOM
costs.  In addition, the TCS2200 offers the same industry-leading hardware-
based security mechanisms featured in the TCS2600.
The three-chip TCS2200 chipset features the same analog baseband
processor, the TWL3016, and the single-chip, direct conversion RF transceiver,
the TRF6151, of the TCS2600 chipset.  The TBB2200 GSM/GPRS baseband modem
completes the chipset.
For high-volume voice-centric market segments, the three-chip TCS2010
chipset further reduces BOM costs while providing a complete platform for
Class 12 GSM/GPRS handsets.  Building upon TI's record in the market for low-
power wireless technology, the TCS2010 chipset incorporates power saving
innovations that double the stand-by time over devices using previous
generation techniques.
Because its baseband modem, the TBB2010, is pin-for-pin compatible with
other TCS chipsets, designs based on the TCS2010 chipset can be easily
upgraded to the TCS2100 chipset for a consistent product line strategy
addressing all market segments.  The software compatibility among TCS chipsets
also maximizes the efficient re-use of program and system code across multiple
lines of mobile devices.
The TCS2010 chipset includes TI's leading single-chip RF transceiver with
DC technology, the TRF6151.  The chipset's analog baseband processor, the
TWL3014, integrates all power management and analog baseband functions onto a
single chip, saving board space while reducing chip count and development
costs.
For wireless multimedia PDAs requiring best-in-class application
processing, the TCS2010 can be seamlessly paired with an OMAP application
processor, such as TI's recently announced OMAP161x series of processors.

Fully Supported TCS Reference Designs
All of the new TCS chipsets will be supported by a full array of
development tools as well as complete handset reference designs that can
reduce development times dramatically.  TCS reference designs are
manufacturing quality and include a complete BOM, board design and layout,
GSM/GPRS protocol stacks, integrated TCS Application Suite of embedded
software, and access to TI's worldwide customer support.

Availability
The expected availability of the TCS2600, TCS2620, TCS2200 and TCS2010
GSM/GPRS chipsets is as follows:

Sampling Quantities  Production Quantities
TCS2600             March 2003            October 2003
TCS2620             March 2003            October 2003
TCS2200             Now Available         July 2003
TCS2010             Now Available         Now Available

About TI's Wireless Terminals Business Unit
Building on more than 10 years of wireless experience, TI delivers the
engines for real-time wireless voice, data and multimedia.  TI offers handset
and PDA manufacturers the building blocks they need to bring high-performance,
power-efficient products to market -- including complete wireless terminal
chipsets and reference designs, OMAP(TM) application processors and a network
of systems integrators and software application developers.  In 2004, TI will
leverage its wireless systems expertise to introduce the world's first single-
chip cell phone solution.  For more information about TI's wireless portfolio
of complete antenna to applications solutions, please visit
http://www.ti.com/wireless .

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/