Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Council tables request by Nextel for temporary tower

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:01:35 -0500

Council tables request by Nextel for temporary tower

By JOHN MCMULLAN/Item Staff Writer

The City Council on Tuesday tabled a request by Nextel Partners, Inc. to place a temporary

telecommunications pole behind a automobile dealership.

The request, to place a temporary creosote pole behind Dub Herring Ford Inc., was tabled
by the
council until March 18 so Nextel representatives could gather documentation.

Nextel representative David Cloud said his company is requesting a temporary use permit
for an
80-ft. pole, including attached antennas. the permit would be good until April 30.

The request was recommended for approval by the Picayune Planning Commission during its
Feb.
11 meeting.

Cloud said his company is hoping to eventually place a permanent tower on the site. He
told the
council he received approval from Herring to move the tower onto his property and said he
understands Herring will request in the future that the property where the tower will be
located be
rezoned from residential to commercial.

Councilman Leavern Guy said he does not want the council to get into a discriminatory suit
by
allowing one company to place a tower in the city and not another.

"We have a duty to this city when ordinances are passed to stay as close to that ordinance
as
possible," he said.

Cloud said his company wants the tower for its customers in the area.

"We are requesting this for the people of Picayune," he said. "We have customers here."

Mayor Greg Mitchell asked for a motion on the request, but did not receive a second.

In other business, the council:

-- Heard status reports on the Memorial Boulevard project, Stuart project and wetlands at
Friendship Park.

-- Approved the appointment of Hilbert Miller to the Cemetery Commission, James Schrock to
the
Library Commission, reappointed all existing members to one-year terms on the Contractor's
Board
and tabled dissolving the Veterans Memorial Commission.

-- Authorized the Community Development Authority director to apply for a Hometown
Mississippi
Retirement Marketing match grant and for the mayor to sign the application.

-- Authorized $2,291.11 in matching funds for the Hometown Mississippi Retirement
Marketing
match grant.

-- Authorized the mayor to sign the Certification for Compliance Agreement with the
Mississippi
Department of Transportation and the MDOT Aeronautics Division.

-- Approved a request for a home occupation license by Mark S. Hughes to operate a
computer
repair service at 2404 Hillsdale Rd.

-- Approved a request for a home occupation license by Irven Cousin Jr. to operate a
painting
business from his home at 1701 Adcox Rd. #1.

-- Approved a request for conditional use for property at 340 S. Haugh Ave. for a
single-family
dwelling to be built in a C-2 zone for Habitat for Humanity.

-- Approved a request by Richard Jones for conditional use for property at 1208 E. Canal
St. to
build a single-family dwelling after $2,775 is paid to cover all cleanup costs on the
property before a
building permit is issued.

-- Adjourned until 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20 for a workshop at City Hall.

 http://www.altavista.com/r?ck_sm=c0a8c215&ref=2001b0081&ci=4701&r=http%3A%2F%2Fc.moreover.com%2Fclick%2Fhere.pl%3Fz61356552%26z%3D161377

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG