Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Software-Defined Radio

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:50:47 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: John Linko <[email-masked]>
Subject: Software-Defined Radio

Very interesting story on CBS' "Sunday Morning" this morning:

"Correspondent Russ Mitchell takes us to meet Amar and Vanu Bose, father and
son inventors and entrepreneurs. Why is their last name vaguely familiar?
It's because Bose is one of America's premiere audio companies, and now Amar
Bose is one of America's wealthiest men. But can the legacy of both
inventiveness and entrepreneurial skill be passed on? In this case it seems
like it, as we meet Vanu Bose, who plans to revolutionize the way wireless
equipment is made. Father and son both reveal their aspirations and how
they've come to rely on each other."

Vanu Bose's company, Vanu Inc., has developed software platforms that
support conventional Land Mobile, analog cellular, APCO 25, and both analog
and digital TV waveforms. This is the first step in developing wireless
devices that can access any of these (and more) wireless technologies just
by changing or installing software. Pretty intriguing stuff from an
interoperability standpoint, if they can pull it off.

Lots more information, including technical papers etc., at the company's
website, http://www.vanu.com.

John MNN-009 N3RTS
Grand Junction CO

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:59:11 -0800

Nothing comes up at www.vanu.com for me. Anyone else get it to work as
of today (2/23 1pm PST).

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 9:51 AM
To: [email-masked]; WFHSG
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Software-Defined Radio

------- Original Message --------
From: John Linko <[email-masked]>
Subject: Software-Defined Radio

"Correspondent Russ Mitchell takes us to meet Amar and Vanu Bose, father
and son inventors and entrepreneurs. Why is their last name vaguely
familiar? It's because Bose is one of America's premiere audio
companies, and now Amar Bose is one of America's wealthiest men. But can
the legacy of both inventiveness and entrepreneurial skill be passed on?
In this case it seems like it, as we meet Vanu Bose, who plans to
revolutionize the way wireless equipment is made. Father and son both
reveal their aspirations and how they've come to rely on each other."

Vanu Bose's company, Vanu Inc., has developed software platforms that
support conventional Land Mobile, analog cellular, APCO 25, and both
analog and digital TV waveforms. This is the first step in developing
wireless devices that can access any of these (and more) wireless
technologies just by changing or installing software. Pretty intriguing
stuff from an interoperability standpoint, if they can pull it off.

John MNN-009 N3RTS
Grand Junction CO

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:06:44 -0500

It works for me using IE.

Are you using IE the website does not seem to like netscape.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:06:45 -0800

> Nothing comes up at www.vanu.com for me. Anyone else get it to work as

Working fine here (Sacramento, CA)

Don

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:07:58 -0800

> Are you using IE the website does not seem to like netscape.

And it's good with Netscape 7

Don

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:07:32 -0500

leave off the www

Rik Rasmussen
Stock Analyzer mailing list moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stockanalyzer/

> From: Dylan Bromby [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 3:59 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Software-Defined Radio
>
>

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:19:33 -0800

It's up now. I'm on IE 6.01 and NN 7.x. No idea why it wasn't avail at
the time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rik Rasmussen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 1:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Software-Defined Radio

leave off the www

Rik Rasmussen

> "Correspondent Russ Mitchell takes us to meet Amar and Vanu Bose,
> father and son inventors and entrepreneurs. Why is their last name 
> vaguely familiar? It's because Bose is one of America's premiere audio

> companies, and now Amar Bose is one of America's wealthiest men. But 
> can the legacy of both inventiveness and entrepreneurial skill be 
> passed on? In this case it seems like it, as we meet Vanu Bose, who 
> plans to revolutionize the way wireless equipment is made. Father and 
> son both reveal their aspirations and how they've come to rely on each

> other."
> technologies just by changing or installing software. Pretty 
> intriguing stuff from an interoperability standpoint, if they can pull

> it off.
>
> Lots more information, including technical papers etc., at the
> company's website, http://www.vanu.com.
>
> John MNN-009 N3RTS
> Grand Junction CO
>
>
>
>

---

From: "sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:58:57 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> From: John Linko <fllw_fan@H...>

Software Defined Radio - what a load of crap. 

It can do AMPS, BFD!!! AMPS is basically two-way AM radio, its 70 
yrs old for crying outloud.

Wake me up with it can do CDMA, which it can't, and which Qualcomm 
itself doesn't think will be possible for another 10 yrs. 

The only thing this article proves is the desperation of media 
companies to find something, anything, to print.

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:23:14 -0600

>Software Defined Radio - what a load of crap. 
Down sparkie!

-rick

;^P