Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile phones to join war on crime

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:34:48 -0500

Mobile phones to join war on crime

By Pia Turunen

CANNES, France (CNN) --Mobile phones could soon become important tools in disaster
prevention and the fight against crime, industry experts are predicting.

Applications such as terrorist alert services, burglary prevention tools and
surveillance technology could become commonplace mobile technology within
the next few years.

Services such as the City Alert Texting System, which will alert people of any
possible bomb attack or disaster, are already in place in large European cities
such as London.

And most European tech providers cooperate with the police by giving out
location data in case of an emergency or detailing the call history of a suspected
criminal.

But experts at the world's largest mobile phone event 3GSM, in Cannes,
France, predicted the next step would be a rapid rise of commercial
applications aimed at individuals and families.

David Levin, CEO of Symbian, a joint tech venture between major mobile
handset makers said he has already witnessed a growing demand for security
devices.

"Some of the simplest applications are already out there, such as home watch
alerts by SMS. But I can see a rise in personal protection technology such as
child tracking and other surveillance applications utilising the camera phone
technologies," he said.

Many conference gurus see mobile phone becoming a "life tool" -- a device
which may include a type of sensing technology for monitoring the user's heart
beat.

As technology becomes cheaper, the mobile phone principle can be adopted as
part of the care routine of the elderly and children.

Personal protection devices may at first seem intrusive but acceptance will grow
as tech devices become essential part of people's lives, according to Robert
Wakeling, director of product strategy at mobile content specialist Magic4.

"Many parents today want to give their child a mobile phone so they can keep
an eye on them.

"There will be a rash of new technologies emerging such as tagging young
children's clothing with mobile chip to track their movements on the playground.
This may sound odd today, but could easily be an everyday reality in 10 years
time," he said.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/02/20/3gsm.cannes4/index.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/