Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FBI Will Investigate Secret Recording System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:29:20 -0500

FBI Will Investigate Secret Recording System

State Attorney General Opens Criminal Probe

POSTED: 6:05 p.m. EST February 14, 2003
UPDATED: 11:01 p.m. EST February 14, 2003

Federal agents will join the investigation into the secret taping system installed at the
Providence Public Safety Complex, News Channel 10's I-Team reported Friday.

The computer equipment recorded virtually every incoming and outgoing phone call at
the complex. Mayor David Cicilline has vowed to find out who installed the system and
hold them responsible.

It seems an answer should not be hard to find.

Former Secret Service agent John Enright, who's already reviewing Police Department
operations, said installation of a taping system leaves a trail.

"The equipment purchased and actual people installing that stuff, there would have to
be a paper trail of the purchase," Enright said.

Mayor David Cicilline has ordered an internal investigation, but U.S. Attorney Margaret
Curran said the federal government will also be investigating because it's possible
federal intercept laws may have been violated.

"I would expect agents of the FBI would be looking into this," she said.

Cicilline at first strongly implied that former Police Chief Urbano
Prignano Jr. might have ordered the secret taping system, but
Prignano vehemently denies any involvement. He left the
department before the taping system was installed.

Cicilline now says only that Prignano was chief when the
complex was being planned.

"Obviously, he wasn't the police chief when it was ultimately
installed in the building," Cicilline said.

But Prignano is still angry at Cicilline for bringing up his name. It's a grudge, the
former
chief said.

"He was a defense attorney and I used to put the bad guys away. And maybe he has a
grudge against me," Prignano said.

Cicilline said the issue isn't Prignano.

"The issue is holding the people responsible who had knowledge of this," Cicilline said.
"The issue is interceptions were made of police officers, of firefighters, of members of
municipal court, victims of crime surreptitiously recorded without their consent. That's
the issue.

Providence Police Chief Dean Esserman and representatives of the attorney general's
office met to discuss the investigation late Friday.

Attorney General Patrick Lynch confirmed in a statement that his department has
opened a criminal investigation.

"These allegations, if proved, would represent a complete violation of the public trust,"
Lynch said.

http://www.turnto10.com/news/1979396/detail.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/