Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fans help get Yzerman's mural

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:48:40 -0500

Monday, February 24, 2003
Inside the Game
Fans help get Yzerman's mural
By Terry Foster / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- It tookweeks of behind-the-sceneshaggling between
Nextel, the Red Wings and Steve
Yzerman to work out details of the Yzerman mural
that is near completion on the Cadillac Towers building.
This is a well-deserved tribute to a man who has brought a lot to
Red Wings fans. But let's not lose sight that Red Wings fans got the
ball rolling. What began as casual conversation among Internet
Wings fans a year ago took shape with an aggressive petition drive
that netted 8,000 signatures the first week and 23,608 total.
This mural is as much a tribute to die-hard Wings fans as it is to
Yzerman. If it were left entirely up to Yzerman, this never would
have happened. Red Wings fans wanted to make sure Yzerman got
his props for nearly two decades of service and three Stanley Cup
championships.

"To tell you the truth, I never thought this would happen," said Chet
Potoczek, 30, of Wyandotte, who initiated the petition drive along
with a few other die-hards. "But I think it is great, though."
The mural was scheduled to go up in January, but the Wings and
Nextel wanted it to coincide with Yzerman's return to the ice. He
has missed the entire season following knee surgery but could
return this week.
"This just shows when you put your mind to something and want to
get it done badly enough, it can actually happen," Potoczek said.
Next move, please

Nice opening move by The Mooch.
Coach Steve Mariucci has everybody guessing now after his "slip
of the tongue" that the Lions were going to use the second pick of
the draft to select Michigan State wide receiver Charles Rogers. Of
course, Mariucci corrected himself by saying Lions wide receivers
coach Bobby Williams, most recently the Michigan State football
coach, would get a chance to coach his former pupil "if the Lions
take him in the draft."
That "slip" will cause telephones to ring off the hook as teams
inquire about the Lions' pick.
A vote for Rogers

There are some who believe it would be a mistake for Rogers to
play so close to his home in Saginaw because previous demons and
distractions might affect his game. I believe Rogers will take care
and has taken care of his business. Problems will find you, if they
are there, no matter where you play.
It will take time

If the Lions draft Rogers, they would have to put up with one
annoying part of his game -- the dropsies. Rogers dropped at least
a dozen footballs when there was no one around. He will fight this
demon for a year or two and then become one of the NFL's most
reliable receivers.

Remember who else had the dropsies early in his career? Herman
Moore, the Lions' career leader in catches, receiving yards and
touchdown receptions. He received a vision correction and then
was on his way.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/wings/0302/24/f02-92384.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/