Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA Opposes Public Safety Spectrum "Plan Scam"

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:37:49 -0500

Who wants to bet that once Timmy Donahue ((Nextel's CEO) takes over as president of CTIA
that they will "Bow Down" and get on board with the "Plan Scam"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 11, 2003
CTIA Opposes Public Safety Spectrum Plan
By Roy Mark

The Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) filed comments with the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Monday opposing a "Joint Commentators" plan that
seeks to resolve public safety interference issues in the 800 MHz band.

Since 2000, a number of public safety agencies using the 800 MHz band have reported
interference problems related to commercial radio transmitter sites operated in most cases
by the wireless carrier Nextel.

Nextel responded to the complaints by filing a report with the FCC proposing a
reorganization of the current 800 MHz that would create two blocks of contiguous spectrum,
one for public safety uses and one for commercial use. Nextel pledged $500 million to help
public safety agencies relocate to the new allocations.

Since then, a number of companies and organizations, known as the Joint Commentators, have
signed off on the Nextel plan that the CTIA, the principal trade association of the
wireless industry, calls "dangerously flawed." The CTIA also says the plan creates an
unfair advantage for Nextel.

"This is an issue that demands swift resolution," said Tom Wheeler, president and CEO of
CTIA. "The Joint Commenters' plan is unnecessarily complex, extremely resource intensive
and will take nearly four years to complete. And, it will only reduce, not eliminate,
interference for the public safety community. This solution is neither swift nor sure, and
the FCC should not deceive itself into thinking that the so-called 'Consensus Plan' is the
answer to its problems."

CTIA claims there are more timely and less difficult solutions to the interference
problem, including providing a case-by-case review, providing immediate relief for
affected parties. The CTIA also recommends that, if necessary, the 800 MHz band be
restructured within that band to minimize interference.

Finally, according to the CTIA, the 700 MHz band, where 24 MHz of spectrum has already
been reserved for public safety, should be the long-term solution for public safety
communications.

http://dc.internet.com/news/article.php/1582531

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:24:44 EST

You got that one right Alan. Ill back your bet!