Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dean Swanson of Isle of Palms, S.C. Wins $25,000 in 2003 Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 00:05:26 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030202/22007_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome [Sign In]

To track stocks & more, Register

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications

Dean Swanson of Isle of Palms, S.C. Wins $25,000 in 2003 Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge
Sunday February 2, 8:53 pm ET

Nextel Donates $25,000 to Hockey Fights Cancer Through Donate a Phone Campaign

SUNRISE, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 2, 2003--
Dean Swanson, 62, of Isle of Palms, S.C. (outside of Charleston)
today attempted to score on Tampa Bay Lightning All-Star Goalie
Nikolai Khabibulin, but missed his chance at winning $250,000 in the
finals of the Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT

The shot took place on ice during the second intermission of the
2003 NHL All-Star Game presented by Nextel, and was the culmination of
a three-month, 11-market competition. Swanson was awarded $25,000 as a
consolation prize.

Swanson shot approximately 20 feet from the goal, but Khabibulin
quickly blocked his first shot. As a last minute surprise, Nextel gave
Swanson a second chance at the $250,000, but this time the goal was
three times the size. Khabibulin proved his All-Star talents and
blocked Swanson's second shot as well.

"I never thought that I had a chance of scoring on an All-Star
goalie like Nikolai, so I was just happy knowing I would get the
$25,000," said Swanson. "But, when they made the goal bigger, I
thought I might really have a chance. I'll still have fun with the
$25,000."

Before yesterday's semifinals, Swanson had never picked up a
hockey stick. But even with coaching tips from Hockey Hall of Famer
Phil Esposito, Swanson just did not have enough luck.

"Dean hit that second shot so fast that Nikolai never had a chance
to get out of the way even if he wanted to. I really wanted him to
take home that money," commented Esposito.

A 40-year veteran of radio and television journalism, his most
recent position before retirement was as news anchor for WCIV-TV in
Charleston. He was joined in Florida with his wife Margery.

Swanson earned the chance to shoot on Khabibulin today by winning
the semifinals competition that took place yesterday during the NHL
All-Star Weekend Block Party. Eleven semifinalists earned a trip to
NHL All-Star Weekend by winning a local shootout at one of their NHL
team's home games. Participating teams were: Buffalo Sabres, Colorado
Avalanche, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings,
Nashville Predators, New York Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose
Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Washington Capitals. Three other
semifinalists including Swanson won the trip to Florida through the
Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge contest on NHL.com.

"We thought giving Dean a second shot would have increased his
chances at the $250,000. I wish we could have awarded him the full
amount, but we're happy to send him home with at least $25,000," said
Michael Robichaud, director of sports and event marketing for Nextel
Communications. "We're also thrilled with the success of our
three-month Donate A Phone campaign to benefit Hockey Fights Cancer
that raised $25,000."

Donate A Phone to Benefit Hockey Fights Cancer

Throughout the Nextel/NHL All-Star Challenge program, Nextel urged
fans, through the Donate A Phone campaign, to bring in their old or no
longer used wireless phones to Nextel retailers and participating NHL
arenas, with proceeds benefiting Hockey Fights Cancer.

About Hockey Fights Cancer

Hockey Fights Cancer is a joint charitable initiative founded in
December 1998 by the National Hockey League and NHL Players'
Association and supported by NHL Member Clubs, NHL Alumni, the NHL
Officials' Association, Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers and
Equipment Managers, corporate marketing partners, broadcast partners
and fans throughout North America. Hockey Fights Cancer is committed
to raising money and awareness for hockey's most important fight. Over
the last five years, more than $5 million has been raised. Fans are
encouraged to join the fight by calling 1-800-540-6500 or logging on
to www.hockeyfightscancer.com.

NHL is a registered trademark and Hockey Fights Cancer is a
trademark of the National Hockey League. NHL and NHL team marks are
the property of the NHL and its teams. All Rights Reserved.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 197
of the top 200 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches, Nextel
and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S.
where approximately 240 million people live or work.

Contact:

Nextel
Media:
Diane Rainey
914/760-9246

Source:
Nextel Communications
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home? Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

See your credit improve online 24/7 with ClearCredit!

·

Make Your PC Faster in Just Five Minutes!

·

Trade as low as $9.95* per trade. Become a CyberTrader.

·

SBC Yahoo! Dial - Get 1st month free.

·

Rent DVDs - No Late Fees - Try it for FREE!

·

AT&T Wireless. Get a FREE Nokia 3360 and plans from $19.99!!

·

Sign up now and get 4 Free weeks of The Wall Street Journal

Related
Quote

NXTL

12.62

+0.47

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Nextel Communications Earnings Call scheduled for Thu, Feb 20 - CCBN (Fri Jan 31)

·

Nextel to Host Conference Call - Business Wire (Fri Jan 31)

·

[external] Phone stocks, Alcatel, XM advance - at CBS MarketWatch (Fri Jan 31)

·

Moody's revises Nextel Comms outlook to stable - Reuters (Fri Jan 31)

More...

·

By
industry:
Banking, Health care, Sports, Telecom

Top Stories

·

EM.TV, Valentine Ally Stick by Stalled Muppets Deal - Reuters (Mon Jan 27)

·

IBM Unveils Computing-Grid Products for Industries - Reuters (Mon Jan 27)

·

Former Kmart CEO May Face Legal Claims - Reuters (Sun Jan 26)

·

Slammer Worm Hits Korean Shares - Reuters (Mon Jan 27)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.