Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Government of Québec Selects Motorola Digital Radio System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:36:43 -0500

Government of Québec Selects Motorola Digital Radio System

Communications Upgrade Will Link All Government Agencies

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Jan. 27, 2003 – The Government of Québec has signed a $35 million (U.S.
currency) contract with Motorola (NYSE:MOT) for a new, state-of-the-art VHF ASTRO®25
Multicast communications system. The first of its kind in Canada, the system is part of
Motorola’s extensive portfolio of integrated communications and information solutions to
address mission-critical public safety and security requirements worldwide.

The area-wide system is slated for installation at the end of 2003, with final system
acceptance projected for year-end 2005. It will provide services to an estimated 10,000
mobile and portable two-way radios and use Motorola Centracom Elite™ dispatch consoles
housed in numerous dispatch locations.

Québec’s new system will provide coverage over 125,000 square miles and serve a population
of more than seven million people. All Québec government departments and public safety
agencies, including Sûreté du Québec (Provincial Police), will have access to the system.

“Interoperability is the overriding benefit of the new system,” said Rick Good, Motorola
Communications and Electronics, Inc. vice president. “Once the system is implemented and
online, all government and public safety agencies in Québec will have the ability to
communicate with each other and coordinate their responses to routine and emergency calls
more efficiently than ever before.”

The new system will also be capable of interfacing with Hydro-Québec’s Motorola SmartZone
system that was deployed in the mid-1990’s, thus, if ever required extending the system’s
communications reach.

“The Government of Québec and its public safety agencies will dramatically improve their
communications capability with Québec’s new ASTRO system,” said Good. “We look forward to
working with them to design and implement a communications solution that will deliver
immeasurable value to its users, as well as to the citizens it serves, well into the
future.”

About Motorola’s Safety and Security Solutions
Motorola is a leading provider of integrated communications and information solutions with
65 years of experience in meeting the mission-critical requirements of public safety,
public service, government and enterprise customers worldwide. The company’s extensive
public safety and security portfolio includes: interoperable two-way radio communications
solutions with encrypted security capabilities; command and control equipment and software
applications, including computer-aided dispatch, 9-1-1 and 3-1-1 systems and automated
records management systems; identification and tracking solutions, including
palm/fingerprint and photo-imaging systems, as well as comprehensive information
management capabilities for criminal justice and civil needs; and physical security and
monitoring solutions, including remote monitoring and diagnostics.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2299_1880_23,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/