Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wideband TDD can cut the cost of 3G rollouts

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:43:05 -0500

Wideband TDD can cut the cost of 3G rollouts

InterDigital Communications has published the results of a 3G wireless economic and
performance study that it funded and was conducted with the U.S.-based research firm
Arthur D. Little (ADL). The joint, yearlong study found significant capital, operating and
total cost of ownership savings for operators that deploy Wideband TDD (WTDD) as part of a
complete WCDMA wireless solution. The study also determined that WTDD deployed in a single
5MHz unpaired band provided higher capacity for data-intensive applications like video,
internet access or multi-media messaging than FDD similarly deployed in two 5MHz paired
bands of wireless spectrum.

WTDD is WCDMA for the unpaired spectrum and is fully harmonized with FDD technology in the
paired spectrum.

Based on research conducted by the ITU, the UMTS Forum and other publicly available
industry analyses, the InterDigital/ADL study evaluated potential applications of WTDD in
urban and suburban area deployments. The deployment of WTDD was further evaluated from
three operational scenarios where fully mobile voice and data services, packet and circuit
switch connections are essential: wide area broadband coverage; capacity enhancement and
"hot zone" coverage for heavy mobile and nomadic traffic usage.

The joint study concluded that WTDD deployed for capacity enhancement can provide
approximately 50% savings for operators in projected network capital and operating costs
over a ten year period; and 25 to 35% savings in wide-area broadband data deployment
scenarios. An additional 15% cost savings over the same period of time can be achieved by
deploying WTDD in 10MHz of spectrum, rather than 5MHz.

"Today, operators are focused on maximizing the revenue opportunities in 3G while at the
same time reducing their costs. The only way that can happen is to maximize the spectrum
available to them," said Dr. Martyn Roetter, Vice President, Communications and
Information Technology at Arthur D. Little. "In comparing spectrum utilization for
asymmetric data applications, it became very clear that standards-based WTDD is a
technology path to accomplishing both objectives. It offers significant performance and
economic advantages over FDD in very critical deployments."

The study also found that WTDD deployed in a single, unpaired 5MHz band-utilizing
InterDigital's multi-user detectors (MUD) receivers and SmartRRMSM radio network
controller-could support over 70% more users per cell at 384 kbps data transmission than
10 MHz of FDD comparably deployed. Capacity improvements also were seen at data speeds of
64 and 144 kbps.

Posted to the site on 21-Feb-03
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/