Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police Chief Becomes Better Connected

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:46:01 -0500

Police Chief Becomes Better Connected

By KEVIN KEARNEY

WAYMART -- Borough Council on Tuesday voted in favor of
purchasing a cellular phone for Police Chief Gary Pozza so he can be
directly linked to the communications center and other police departments.

The borough will enter into a $40-a-month contract with Nextel, with the
funds coming out of the police account.

Currently, Waymart's police force is one of the few in the area without
immediate access to a communication center and other departments,
Mayor John Rollison said.

When Pozza hears a message over the squad car radio, he has to drive to
the borough hall to get in contact with other agencies, but the cell phone
would alleviate the problem, the mayor said.

In other business:

Council Vice President Kelly White is seeking a position on the board of
the borough's Municipal Authority. White will have to step down from her
council position in December because she is a civil service employee. She
said she is seeking the new position in order to remain active in borough
politics.

If hired, White can hold both positions until resigning from council, said
council President Lillian Rollison.

Council voted to combine the deeds of two lots behind the old borough
hall on Belmont Street, where the new hall is expected to be built. The
land is less than one acre. It is not known when work will begin.

Councilwoman Jane Varcoe, the borough's emergency management
director, said that in the event of a natural disaster or terror attack, the
borough will place top priority on the protection of the water company
and the sewage treatment plant.

Varcoe recently attended a meeting of county emergency management
directors, who discussed ways in which municipalities can provide mutual
aid. All municipalities must have their emergency plans updated by June.

Council received a letter from Richard Garman, of Wayne Memorial
Hospital, thanking the borough for its efforts in keeping Waymart
Pharmacy open.

The Municipal Authority is temporarily located at the old jewelry store at
the corner of Center and South streets.

Borough Council meets at 7:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month at
the parsonage of the Calvary United Methodist Church on Belmont
Street, next to the church south of the intersection with South Street.

The Wayne Independent Honesdale, Pennsylvania.

http://www.altavista.com/r?ck_sm=5e60b17d&ref=2001b0081&ci=4701&r=http%3A%2F%2Fc.moreover.com%2Fclick%2Fhere.pl%3Fz59868435%26z%3D161377

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/