Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Approval of IEEE Standard 802.16™

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:38:06 -0500

Approval of IEEE Standard 802.16™
Sets Stage for Growth of
Metropolitan Area Networks Using
Fixed Broadband Wireless

Global Standard for 10 to 66 GHz Wireless Networks Fosters Economic
Alternative for "Last Mile" Access

Contact:
Roger Marks, (303) 497-3037, [email-masked]
Dean Chang, (408) 719-9977, [email-masked]
Karen McCabe (732) 562-3824, [email-masked]

PISCATAWAY, N.J., 6 Dec. 2001 The Standard Board of the Institute of
Electrical and Electronic Engineers Standards Association (IEEE-SA)
formally approved IEEE Standard 802.16™ ("Air Interface for Fixed
Broadband Wireless Access Systems") today. The approval sets the
stage for the widespread deployment of 10 to 66 GHz wireless
metropolitan area networks as an economical method of high-speed
"last-mile" connection to public networks.

The global IEEE 802.16™ WirelessMAN™ air interface standard is the
first broadband wireless access standard from an accredited standards
body. It will be published by January 2002. Until then, the approved draft
can be found in the IEEE catalog at
http://WirelessMAN.org/published.html.

"The new WirelessMAN™ standard is a groundbreaking development
that changes the landscape for providers and customers of high-speed
networks," said Roger Marks, Chair of the 802.16™ Working Group on
Broadband Wireless Access. "The standard makes highly efficient use
of bandwidth and supports voice, video and data applications with the
quality that customers demand."

The 802.16™ standard creates a platform on which to build a broadband
wireless industry using high-rate systems that install rapidly without
extensive metropolitan cable infrastructures. It was created in a
two-year, open-consensus process that involved hundreds of engineers
from the world's leading operators and vendors.

The standard enables interoperability among devices from multiple
manufacturers. It includes a medium access control layer (MAC) that
supports multiple physical layer specifications. The physical layer is
optimized for bands from 10 to 66 GHz. Extensions to the 2 to 11 GHz
bands are expected to be completed next summer in the Working
Group's 802.16a amendment.

The companion IEEE Standard 802.16™.2 ("IEEE Recommended
Practice for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Coexistence of
Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems") was published by IEEE in
September 2001. This document provides guidelines for system
deployment and is expected to be a valuable source of planning
information for operators wishing to deploy IEEE 802.16™ systems.

About the IEEE 802.16™ Working Group
The IEEE 802.16™ Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access has
178 members and 52 official observers. It operates via an open process
to develop accredited air interface standards and recommended
practices for the global development and deployment of fixed broadband
wireless access systems. It meets bimonthly and has a record of
rapidly reaching technical consensus. The Group's standards provide for
high-speed network access to homes and enterprises. For more
information on the IEEE 802.16™ Working Group, visit
http://WirelessMAN.org/.

The working group is a unit of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards
Committee, the premier transnational forum for wireless networking
standardization. The new IEEE 802.16™ standard joins the widely used
family of Ethernet and wireless networking standards developed by the
committee.

http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/80216app.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/