Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SECOND REPORT AND ORDER AND SECOND FURTHER NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE MAKING

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:50:35 -0500

SECOND REPORT AND ORDER AND SECOND FURTHER NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE MAKING

Adopted:  February 12, 2003 
Released:  February 25, 2003

I. INTRODUCTION AND EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

1. In the Report and Order and Further Notice of Proposed Rule Making (“R&O” and “FNPRM”
respectively) in this proceeding,  the Commission, inter alia, sought comment on certain
proposals to promote new spectrum-efficient technology.  This Second Report and Order
(“2nd R&O”) addresses the comments and reply comments received with respect to promoting
new spectrum-efficient technologies as proposed in the FNPRM.  The Second Further Notice
of Proposed Rule Making (“2nd NPRM”) seeks comment on additional issues related to
promoting spectrum efficiency in the private land mobile radio services (PLMRS).
  
2. The major decisions in this 2nd R&O are as follows:

-- We prohibit any applications for new operations using 25 kHz channels, beginning six
months after publication of the 2nd R&O in the Federal Register.

-- We prohibit any modification applications that expand the authorized contour of an
existing station if the bandwidth for transmissions specified in the modification
application is greater than 12.5 kHz, beginning six months after publication of the 2nd
R&O in the Federal Register.

-- We prohibit the certification of any equipment capable of operating at one voice path
per 25 kHz of spectrum, i.e. equipment that includes a 25 kHz mode, beginning January 1,
2005.  

-- We prohibit the manufacture and importation of any 150-174 MHz and 421-512 MHz band
equipment that can operate on a 25 kHz bandwidth beginning January 1, 2008.·

-- We impose deadlines for migration to 12.5 kHz technology for PLMRS systems operating in
the 150-174 MHz and 421-512 MHz bands.  The deadlines are January 1, 2013 for non-public
safety systems and January 1, 2018 for public safety systems.  

3. In addition, the 2nd FNPRM seeks comment on whether the equipment certification
provision in the current rules is sufficient to promote migration to one voice path per
6.25 kHz bandwidth, or equivalent technology or whether migration to 6.25 kHz bandwidth or
equivalent technology should be mandatory.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-34A1.doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/