Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CELL PHONE BANS-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:26:16 -0500

Texas Legislature to Consider Cell Phone Ban

Bills have been introduced in the Texas Senate and House that would restrict
drivers' use of hand-held cell phones. The House bill, filed by Rep. Paul Moreno
(D-El Paso), calls for violators to face a ticket and a fine of up to $100. The
Senate bill, filed by Sen. Rodney Ellis (D-Houston), calls for a ticket and an
unspecified fine. The wireless industry says that education, not legislation, is the
better way to encourage safe driving, and that existing laws on inattentive driving
should be enforced.

Paramus, N.J. to Consider Ban on Drivers' Use of Hand-Held Cell Phones

Paramus, N.J. borough officials are scheduled to vote on Tuesday on a measure
to restrict the use of hand-held cell phones by drivers. Violators face a summons
and a fine of up to $250. If the measure is passed, Paramus would become the
fifth community in the state to restrict drivers' use of hand-held cell phones.
Legislation to restrict the practice statewide has passed the New Jersey Senate
and is up for debate in the Assembly.

Wyoming Lawmakers Vote Down Restrictions on Cell Phone Use by
Drivers

The Wyoming House Transportation and Highways Committee voted down a
proposal to restrict cell phone use by drivers. The lawmakers said that distracted
driving, not specifically cell phone use, is the problem, and that the proposed
legislation would not have solved it.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/