Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless communication now is a necessity

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:07:47 -0500

Wireless communication now is a necessity
Source: Tribune Business Weekly
Publication date: 2003-02-03
Arrival time: 2003-02-17

As millions of cellular telecommunications users would sing of technology's
praises, they might turn the old Cat Stevens tune "Wild World," into
something like "Oh baby, baby it's a wireless world..."

And it's hard to get by "just upon a smile" most business days. With
deadlines and increased productivity demands, business users have
discovered that unplugging can afford advantages.

However, local trends have shown that the early days of wireless use for
"business" is no longer exclusive.

Throughout the past decade, cellular communications have blasted off.
Especially with the advent of digital technologies, wireless use is
transcending all boundaries: occupation, age, socioeconomic, geographic,
gender, race, creed, ethnicity, and so on.

This is not your grandfather's or even your father's cellular phone.

Sometimes referred to as "third generation," today's offerings include
compact flip-phone devices smaller than the palm of your hand, with merged
technologies like Internet access, laptop computers, digital cameras and
television screens.

"I've been in the wireless business since 1987 and the first phone I sold was
cumbersome, like in a suitcase, and it was $2,500! Only those at the top in
business could afford one," laughed Chris Stager, general manager for
Centennial Wireless.

"In the old days it was certainly a price issue and most potential users
would have been excluded ... but now, with wireless' value, features,
coverage and customer services, it is considered another necessary
business expense. And there are no typical customers any more; wireless
has evolved beyond 'business-only' to become a lifestyle requirement for
people from 18-to-80 plus," Stager observed.

According to the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA)
Web site, HYPERLINK "http://www.wowcom.com" www.wow-com.com, as
of Sunday afternoon, Jan. 12, there were 137,458,902 U.S. wireless
subscribers (see sidebar for more wireless Web sites ... ).

CTIA was founded in 1984 to become the voice of the wireless industry,
representing all elements of wireless communication, i.e., cellular, personal
communication services, enhanced specialized mobile radio, and mobile
satellite services.

This chorus of subscribers could vouch for the dizzying advances and
choices offered throughout the world of wireless. But specifically, CTIA
President and CEO Tom Wheeler said, "The new year is the time to make a
fresh start, but everyone needs the right tools to keep their resolutions ...
Wireless is evolving at warp speed and the 2003 crop of wireless devices
can do more than ever before. Wireless can help you get organized, stay
connected, pick up a new hobby, travel and juggle all the things you need to
get done..."

Here's an example of the so-called wireless revolution. Remember pagers?
Cellular Connection Manager Brandon Sharp smiled and said they are
"pretty much obsolete" with the introduction of text messaging technology.

"You can leave messages which appear on the phone screen, and you can
choose how your phone alerts you to it ... lights, beeps, vibrations, etc.
Digital technology has brought us so many features, and they are valuable
because they are convenient and affordable. The service provider plans
include many as standard, not just promotions ... like voice-mail; Caller I.D.;
call waiting and forwarding; three-way calling and detailed billing," said
Sharp while explaining a Verizon Wireless offering.

Sharp oversees the Cellular Connection store in Scottsdale Mall, one of 80
authorized agent locations across the Midwest for Verizon Wireless.

He stated also that not too long ago, the "business customer" was a major
focus but now 90 percent of his store sales are "retail." This includes
"soccer moms" wanting to be reached while on the road, elders wanting a
cell phone for safety and security reasons, and teenagers encouraged by
their parents to keep in touch.

"The trend is definitely the technology. Color display phones are really big,
digital cameras and Internet access follow. Most phones are geared to the
younger generation, 40 and under, with changeable faceplates and games.
And even though you have to be 18 to obtain a contract, many of our users
are younger. That's because parents come in and get a phone for family
members so they can reach each other through evening activities and such.
In this world, it's a way to feel more secure," observed Sharp, who has been
in the business nearly three years.

Vice President of Marketing and Domestic Licenses for Centennial Wireless
Laura Hughes echoed Sharp's views.

"I am of the generation that never would have imagined myself using a cell
phone, let alone all my friends and all their children using them!" she
laughed, as she sees and hears reports of the "big picture" on a weekly
basis.

"I'm impressed at what our focus groups have said and I'm amazed at the
change in our society. Wireless patterns have changed from business or
emergencies to supporting lifestyles. People are using wireless technology
to enhance their safety, security, time management and convenience. More
wireless carriers are bringing value to the marketplace, making way for
affordable choices ... and digital clarity has increased the value even
further," said Hughes.

Hughes stated business versus personal use has "flip-flopped" since she
joined the wireless industry 11 years ago. She surmised that wireless has
made the combined career and family goal of "having it all" more obtainable.

In an Increasingly mobile society, most people get the picture.

Broadening that vision is one of Nextel's current undertakings, according to
Doug Heiermann, manager of Clearcall. in downtown South Bend. They are
an authorized representative and service center for Nextel.

"We still have a major focus on our business customer. We have roiled out
our first phase in Direct Connect, (which will ultimately provide national
two-way, push-to-talk, radio access.) This technology is unique to us and
wasn't even available a year ago! This will completely change the business
outlook on this product ... Ultimately, we will have people communicating
5,000 miles from Boston to Los Angeles with just a push of a button. No
numbers to dial. And those with our cell technology will have access as
well," stated Heiermann.

He laughed and said the best way to envision this if you've never used or
seen today's two-way radios Is to remember back to kids using
"walkie-talkies."

"Many clients still refer to them as walkie-talkies. Except you can imagine
much further advanced! We're already offering the service locally but should
increase our home area with Phase I starting Feb 3. Phase II should be
complete by the third quarter. Depending on the area of the country, it's
coming in various stages and it's a breakthrough everyone has been waiting
for," said Heiermann.

In addition to lower costs and higher security, Heiermann said this offering
will especially appealing to businesses, but families will sign on as well.

"Think of all the internal business that must be kept secure but dispatchers,
managers, reps and repair persons have to stay in touch all day long.
General contractors have to access their subcontractors. Two-way radio is
great and we're looking to make it better with technology," he added.

Yet it's not as much about technology as keeping in touch with your people,
whether business or personal. Hughes shared this belief and quoted her
boss, Phil Mayberry, as saying, "People don't call a phone or a place, they
call a person."

And while Sharp said some of his customers are more concerned about
getting a "cool phone" at a cheap price, he'd like to advise consumers that
the service is more important than the hardware in this case.

Stager agreed and said no matter who is using whatever technology for what
reason, they must be honest with the product provider for the best possible
results.

"Value will be found with nearly every provider but not every provider will have
the same service. And if they're honest, everyone has dead spots ... While
we do a needs analysis, you need to tell us who you'll be calling and who'll
be calling you. Ask about our towers or how we handle any concerns ...
make sure you are not paying for features you don't need," he stressed.

When all's said and done in the "wild with choices" wireless world,
remember this parting word: As everyone's got a laundry list of features,
tailor the technology to suit yourself.

Back to Cat, "But if you wanna leave, take good care; I hope you have a lot
of nice things to wear..."
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=36718419&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/