Subject: [mobile-ip] Question: draft-ietf-mobileip-vpn-problem-statement-req-01.txt

From: Torbjorn Hedqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:49:21 +0100

I've recently read the 
draft-ietf-mobileip-vpn-problem-statement-req-01.txt and have a question 
on section 4.4 "Registering via an FA".

Even if clients without co-located FA's are uncommon, (not sure if that 
statement is true), wouldn't the following scenario also be valid?

     ..Foreign Network..             .....VPN Domain..(Intranet).....
       .                 .             .                              .
       . +----+          .           +----+     +-------+  +-------+  .
       . |MNs |          .           | VPN|     | Router|  | VPN/HA|  .
       . |away|<====================>| GW |-----| 1..n  |->| 1..n  |  .
       . +----+          .   \       | FA |     +-------+  +-------+  .
       .                 .    \      +----+                           .
       ...................   IPsec     .        +-------+  +-------+  .
                                       .        |  CN   |  | MNs   |  .
                                       .        | 1..n  |  | home  |  .
                                       .        +-------+  +-------+  .
                                       .                              .
                                       ................................

Description:
If we on the other hand move the combined VPN GW and FA to the border of 
 the VPN Domain the scenario will also work fine and this is also 
analogous to deploying mobile-ip within a corporate intranet which is 
not physically disjoint. Since no additional functionality is required 
in the Foreign Network this solution may be of interest in the wireless 
'hot spots' or CDMA 2000 networks.

In this scenario one benefit would also be avoiding the (mip)tunnel in 
(IPsec)tunnel since the mip-tunnel is terminated in the VPN GW.

This scenario will however have the same problem regarding mobility as 
all the other scenarios described in the draft.

 -- 
Torbjörn Hedqvist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Routing Architecture Lab      Nortel Networks
ATI Strategic Protocols       St. Eriksgatan 115A
ESN   : 521-3532              SE-113 85 Stockholm
phone : IAC+46 8 5088-3532    Sweden
mobile: IAC+46 70 666-7832
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~