Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FDNY Takes It To The RIM-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:19:35 -0500

February 4, 2003

FDNY Chooses BlackBerry Wireless Platform and MX Software to Improve Communications

RIM and Consilient Technologies Extend BlackBerry To Novell® GroupWise Users

New York - Consilient Technologies, Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) and
the New York City Fire Department (FDNY), today announced that the FDNY has successfully
deployed RIM's BlackBerry™ wireless platform and Consilient's MX software to allow mobile
access to its Novell GroupWise email system.

The BlackBerry platform and customized Mail eXtension (MX) software have been piloted by
FDNY over a two-month period and BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds™ are now being rolled out
at FDNY headquarters.

"This past year, there has been a sense of urgency to implement secure, reliable, wireless
communication technology that enables us to easily get information to FDNY staff during
emergency situations," said Chief of Operations Sal Cassano.

MX software from Consilient Technologies is being used to create a link between the FDNY's
Novell® GroupWise email server and BlackBerry Enterprise Server, so that FDNY headquarters
can communicate securely with their mobile workforce using BlackBerry handhelds. The
BlackBerry platform is popular in government organizations because of its "always-on"
utility and advanced security including end-to-end (Triple DES) encryption, FIPS 140-1
certification and optional support for the S/MIME security standard.

The initial deployment of BlackBerry and MX is with the Office of the Fire Commissioner,
the Chief of Department and the Chief of Operations. Phase two of the FDNY deployment
involves a rollout to a broader user group at the headquarter's administrative level.

"The BlackBerry wireless platform has been chosen by thousands of government organizations
and companies because of its ability to improve communications and productivity amongst
teams without compromising the IT department's requirement for security, manageability and
ROI," said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Brand Management at Research In Motion. "With
BlackBerry and MX, organizations like the FDNY can stay connected to their GroupWise email
and keep their teams interacting effectively from the field."

"To get the FDNY up and running wirelessly, we used MX - Mail eXtension software that
builds on the existing BlackBerry platform and allows integration with the FDNY's Novell
GroupWise email system," said Trevor Adey, President of Consilient Technologies.
"Wirelessly extending in-house information systems to mobile workers on handheld
computers, is our core business and we are pleased to wirelessly enable the FDNY," Adey
added.

Attached Pic-
Don Stanton,
Assistant Commissioner, FDNY;
Trevor Adey,
President Consilient Technologies and
Sal Cassano,
Chief of Operations, FDNY

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Wayne Schulz <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:30:15 -0000

The low earpiece volume of the Blackberry 6510 and lack of 
speakerphone isn't going to win any friends at the FD.

Regards,

Wayne

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:59:49 -0500

Why do you think everyone calls it WACKBERRY?

It was rushed to market in order to capture market share and fulfil contractual
obligations. They were aware of potential problems durning Alpha testing (Short  Batt
life, Low audio, Poor rec) and at $500.00 it is a joke.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG