Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ericsson conducts the world's first IPv6 over 3G UMTS/WCDMA network demonstration

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 12:40:02 -0500

Ericsson Press Release
Ericsson conducts the world's first IPv6 over 3G UMTS/WCDMA network demonstration
Date: Friday, January 31 2003

An ambulance demonstration today showed vital medical data, voice and video using IPv6 and
seamlessly roaming over 2G and 3G systems as well as wireless LANs. As part of the
EU-project IPv6 Wireless Internet Initiative (6WINIT) it signifies an important step
towards the vision of mobile users being "Always Best Connected".

Three key technologies were brought together for the first time to show the usefulness of
seamless mobile services: next generation Internet (IPv6), 3G (UMTS/WCDMA) and
Multi-Access.

The medical emergency system, called Guardian Angel, can seamlessly move between different
types of access networks - whatever is the best available in a certain location. From a
hospital setting, doctors can observe the patient in the ambulance, check the heart rate
and blood pressure, using mobile networks such as GSM/GPRS or UMTS/WCDMA. Once the
ambulance reaches the hospital, the system can automatically switch over to an indoor WLAN
hot spot. Data flows can use separate network interfaces in parallel. For example, if the
WLAN does not have sufficient reliability, vital data transmissions could simultaneously
use a GSM/GPRS or UMTS/WCDMA channel.

The demonstration was a joint effort within the 6WINIT project consisting of University
Hospital at Tübingen, University of Stuttgart Computing Center, University of Bremen,
University College London and Ericsson. It took place at Ericsson's headquarters in
Stockholm in the presence of invited EU-officials as part of the Final Review of the EU
project.
Ericsson is shaping the future of Mobile and Broadband Internet communications through its
continuous technology leadership.  Providing innovative solutions in more than 140
countries, Ericsson is helping to create the most powerful communication companies in the
world.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Mats Thorén, Ericsson Corporate Communications
Phone: +46 70 346 54 36
E-mail: [email-masked]

About 6WINIT
The EU-project IPv6 Wireless Internet Initiative (6WINIT) is led
by University College London and was started in early 2001 with a powerful consortium
including carriers, suppliers, research organizations, hospitals and universities. 6WINIT
will validate the introduction of the new Mobile Wireless Internet in Europe, promoting
European operational testbeds to plan, build and demonstrate an end-to-end IPv6 enabled
mobile environment.
About IPv6

The tremendous growth of the Internet has made IPv4-addresses
become scarce. Devices for new services, such as interactive multi-media,
home area networks and surveillance systems for cars, ships,
aircraft and telemetry all need IP addresses in order to be "Always
connected

- Always online". This requires IPv6. In addition to the addressing issue IPv6 also
remedies some of the perceived problems of IPv4 including its lack of routing hierarchy,
lack of consistent security, lack of automatic configuration capabilities, and inefficient
routing support for mobile nodes.

- Ericsson was the first to make a commercial IPv6 router in 1995

- In October 2000, Ericsson was the first vendor to demonstrate the use of IPv6 in a GPRS
network in a co-operation with SmarTone of Hong-Kong and BT Wireless.

- In February 2001, at the GSM World Congress in Cannes, Ericsson demonstrated the Worlds
first Real-time Router with IPv4/v6 support for the Radio Access Network.

Ericsson is fully committed to introduce IPv6 in all its products
to provide End-to-End Seamless services. Ericsson has strongly
supported the standardization within 3GPP, which resulted in IPv6 becoming
mandatory for the support of IP multimedia services in 3GPP

R5.http://www.ericsson.com/press/20030131-142743.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/