Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City council makes plans to purchase storm-emergency sirens

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:53:27 -0500

City council makes plans to purchase storm-emergency sirens

Chamber president discusses park improvements
Meredith Hueckman

THE-BEE

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 19th, 2003 01:21:00 PM

The Phillips Common Council made a motion to investigate the purchase of two new
storm-emergency sirens.

Council member Edward J. Lasee Jr. said that the current emergency siren is over 30-
years-old, and it is hard to obtain parts to fix it. Lasee said that he would like the
city to install two new sirens before the tornado season starts.

The council will look into new storm-emergency sirens manufactured by Motorola. Estimated
cost for both is $26,800.

There was talk about locating one new siren at the fire hall, and the other near the
airport.

Funding for the sirens could come from the sale of the former City Hall/Library Building.

The council will be looking into the purchase and if they choose to proceed, then they
will advertise for bids.

Chamber president discusses Elk Lake Park

Joe Wolf, president of the Phillips Area Chamber of Commerce, addressed Phillips Common
Council on four items.

Wolf reports that the chamber of commerce is shy $1,000 needed to fund porta-potties to be
used in Elk Lake Park, so they cannot guarantee the porta-potties for 2003.

Wolf reported on the cost of installing and pulling out the pontoon fishing pier on Elk
Lake. He asked for possible funding by the city; nothing was acted on.

Last year the chamber received $25,000 from the city to help fund projects such as
fireworks, porta-potties, fishing pier expenses, and other projects. It is a lump sum of
money that is mainly received through room tax. The council discussed possibly aiding the
chamber if further monetary funding is needed.

Wolf spoke on the possibility of transferring the responsibility of purchasing the
fireworks to the city of Phillips. The Phillips Fire Department is licensed to ignite the
fireworks.

The council discussed the issue of liability insurance for the fireworks shows. Mayor
Joseph Boho proposed that the city cover the fireworks under the city's insurance. This
would not cost very much because the city has an umbrella liability insurance policy.

Wolf also updated the council on the pavilion project proposed for Elk Lake Park..

In other business:

• Common council appointed attorneys from the law firm of Slaby, Deda, Marshall, Reinhard,
and Fuhr as the official attorneys for the city of Phillips.

• Discussed the city code related to junked vehicles. If a vehicle is inoperable and
parked within the Phillips city limits, then it should be covered or housed in a garage,
was the common consensus.

• The personnel-budget-finance committee will hold a special closed session meeting on
Feb. 18 at 7:00 p.m.

• The board of public works will hold a special meeting on Feb. 12 at 5 p.m.

• The council had a brief discussion of USDA funds available. These included the south
Argyle Avenue proposed project. The project involves reconstruction done on the road
including the sewer and water pipes.

• The council motioned that they will endorse construction of an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle)
trail system in Phillips if and when Price County develops a countywide system.

• The council tabled any action on the invoice presented by Marion DeLasky for sump pump
replacement. It was also motioned that the invoice stay where it was originally tabled in
the public works department.

• The easement language for the sale of the old city hall was accepted. City Attorney
Bruce Marshall put together language concerning deed restrictions for the sale of the
former Phillips City Hall. A city-owned water tower is located on the property, so
stipulations for property-ownership must allow the city to access the water tower.

The language assembled allows city workers to access the water tower in order to perform
maintenance and over flow pipe maintenance.

Also, the city must provide at least one week's notice to the property owners when the
city plans to do work on the water tower, except in an emergency.

Also, the city would be granted access to the water tower and access all of the way up to
the rear wall of the former city hall.

• The city discussed leasing space on the water tower for a tower link for cellular phone
service. The topic will be included in the next meeting's agenda and action may be voted
on by council members.

• The council moved to purchase a skid steer loader and have bid language reviewed by city
attorney Marshall. It is used to move materials such as snow and maneur.

• The council reviewed invoices presented for payment authority. The ambulance board
requested an increase in pay. They requested a 50 percent increase on some items and were
given half of that request. No further action will be made on the ambulance budget for
this year by the common council.

• Invoices were paid as they were written.

--http://www.phillipswi.com/placed/index.php?sect_rank=2&story_id=133073&refer_url=
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/