Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi phones are coming ...

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:53:11 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Jon Baer" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Wi-Fi phones are coming ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1045620856540647663.djm,00.html
(registration required)

-snip-
My college classmate Kevin Delaney writes from Cannes, Frances, for the Wall
Street Journal about the coming wave of cell phones that will work over
Wi-Fi networks all within about 12 months. Motorola Inc. expects to unveil a
cellphone by the end of next year....Texas Instruments Inc., which supplies
an estimated 50% of cellphone chips, says it is releasing at least two
cellphone reference designs...within the next few months that would allow
its manufacturer clients to make dual-mode devices. Chip makers Intel Corp.
and Philips Semiconductors are pushing forward along similar
paths....Meanwhile, Korea's Samsung Electronics Co. in December unveiled a
hand-held computer with built-in Wi-Fi and cellular capabilities that also
enables users to make voice calls....At the 3GSM World Congress here [in
Cannes] this week, Hewlett-Packard Co. is showing one of its iPaq hand-held
computers connected to a cellphone seamlessly switching back and forth from
Wi-Fi and cellular networks...Nokia Corp. also sells a dual Wi-Fi and
cellular card to be used in laptops....Nokia, Palm Inc., Telefon AB L.M.
Ericsson, and Qualcomm Inc. all say they are looking into Wi-Fi phones and
either don't have exact plans yet or won't reveal more until they announce
specific products.
-snip-

- Jon

--

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/