Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network Announces All Wireless Carriers Are Providing Location Technology

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:14:18 -0500

Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network Announces All Wireless Carriers Are
Providing Location Technology

Story Filed: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 7:00 AM EST

HOUSTON, Feb 11, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network
(GHC 9-1-1) in
Houston announces today that all six of the wireless (cellular) telephone companies within
its territory (Harris and Fort Bend
Counties) have implemented location technology as mandated by the Federal Communications
Commission for wireless 9-1-1
callers.

GHC 9-1-1 is the first 9-1-1 entity in a major metropolitan area in the United States with
all wireless carriers providing the
phone number and location information of wireless 9-1-1 callers.

"The need for location identification of wireless callers has been a top priority of GHC
9-1-1, and we are pleased to be making
this announcement today," said Laverne Hogan, executive director of the Network. "This
technology will greatly enhance the
ability of 9-1-1 call takers throughout the two-county area to assist citizens needing
emergency response."

Two different solutions for location technology have been implemented in the GHC 9-1-1
territory: (1) network-based
technology and (2) handset-based technology. The FCC provided wireless carriers with the
option of using either solution.

In the network solution, the location technology equipment is mounted on the wireless
carrier's cell towers. The following
wireless carriers are providing the network-based solution: AT&T Wireless, Cingular
Wireless, Verizon Wireless.

In the handset solution, the location technology is installed in wireless subscribers'
handsets. The following wireless carriers have
implemented the handset-based solution: Nextel, Sprint, and T-Mobile. This handset
technology is available with the
location-enabled wireless phones only. Subscribers should contact their wireless carrier
to determine if their phones are
location-capable, or if they need to upgrade their handsets.

GHC 9-1-1 has prepared for this wireless technology by upgrading the 9-1-1 equipment at
all of the 47 9-1-1 call centers
throughout Harris and Fort Bend Counties. The equipment is capable of receiving and
displaying wireless location data,
including the wireless phone number and the caller's location on a map.

"GHC 9-1-1 has worked diligently with all parties to provide this technology and is
pleased that the wireless carriers in its
territory understand the importance of this technology to public safety," said John
Melcher, deputy director, GHC 9-1-1.

It is important for all citizens to remember that although location technology has been
implemented, GHC 9-1-1 recommends
that callers continue to provide as much location information as possible, so that 9-1-1
call takers can better assist them. Under
the FCC regulations, wireless carriers are required to locate 9-1-1 callers within a
minimum 150 meters for handsets and within
300 meters for the network solution.

Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network is the largest 9-1-1 system in Texas, and
the third largest in the U.S. The
Network administers the 9-1-1 service for all 47 cities wholly or partially within Harris
and Fort Bend Counties and the
unincorporated areas of the Counties. Over 9,000 calls a day are made to the area's 9-1-1
system, with approximately 40%
and growing placed from wireless phones.

For more information on each wireless carrier and its implementation process you may
contact the following:

AT&T Wireless                      Sprint, PCS
Rochelle Cohen                     Genevieve Billy
908/696-4217 office                281/297-5663 office
973/615-8135 mobile                281/300-4177 mobile
[email-masked]           [email-masked]
Cingular Wireless                  T-Mobile
Kristie Cohen                      Kim Thompson
Public Relations                   Corporate Communications
713/553-2807 office                425/378-4074 office
713/301-3366 mobile                [email-masked]

[email-masked]

Nextel Communications              Verizon Wireless
John Duty                          Macy Bodenhamer
972/705-8385 office                713/219-8227 office
972/880-6187 mobile                713/248-9999 mobile
[email-masked]               [email-masked]

CONTACT:          Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network, Houston
Sonya Lopez, 713/625-9911 or 713/822-7631

URL:
http://www.businesswire.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/