Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tutorial on Feature Detection and Listen-Before-Talk Systems

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 23:35:51 -0500

2/12/03

Tutorial on Feature Detection and Listen-Before-Talk Systems

The FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology is sponsoring a tutorial on “Feature
Detection and Listen-Before-Talk Systems” on February 12, 2003 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00
noon in the Commission Meeting Room (TW-C305), 445 12th Street S.W., Washington, D.C.

Dr. John W. Betz, Director of Special Programs at the MITRE Corporation will present an
overview of feature detection and its possible application in unlicensed systems.  It has
been suggested that unlicensed transmitters seeking to share spectrum with digital
television could use such feature detectors to determine if a channel is being used,
supporting a “listen-before-talk” mode of spectrum sharing. Many digital modulations, such
as DTV, exhibit periodic statistics, also known as cyclostationarity. The periodic
statistics, or cyclostationary features, can sometimes be detected even when the
signal-to-noise ratio is lower than needed to demodulate the signal. This presentation
describes the theory and practice of cyclostationary feature detection. It outlines
relevant characteristics of cyclostationary processes, describes signal processing
approaches for detecting cyclostationarity, and provides performance results. Expressions
and numerical results are given for both optimal and suboptimal feature detectors, showing
detector integration times needed for reliable detection at different input
signal-to-noise ratios. In addition, robustness of these detectors to different real-world
effects is discussed.

http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/mt021203.ram (Video)

- Presentation on Feature Detection, Acrobat Format 11 MB

 http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/presentations/2003/021203/featuredetection.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/