Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: next future

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:42:50 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject:Re: next future

Maybe it doesn't seem to make sense now, but the rest of the industry is
repeatedly blind-sided by Nextel because they think 'out of the box' and
are more focused on their objectives than anyone else using these bands
including the FCC and public safety.

That doesn't mean you have to LIKE how they do business, but you should
always be alert to their unyielding aggressiveness. Wiser people than
any of us have said you need to know your competition better than
yourself to be a winner.

Why shouldn't they be prepared to capitalize on 900 MHz spectrum
holdings no matter which way the 800 re-banding proceeding goes?

FCC certification listing do not reveal pending approvals and some
manufacturers have filed and intentionally stalled the process at the
last step so they can have inventory and an immediately exercisable
marketing plan when the spectrum issues are settled. Additionally,
someone else can be the straw man and working on dual band iDEN handsets
as we guess under experimental or developmental approvals or off-shore.

Scenario 1: The rebanding plan crashes: Is Nextel more ready to act if
they have a product in the wings?

Scenario 2: The rebanding plan is implemented: How much effort would
Nextel have to make to be sure the 'new' 900 MHz licensees are allies
and work out a service exchange agreement with them? Is there one large
SMR that secretly wouldn't like to repeat the Nextel model themselves at
800 or 900 MHz?  Naturally, Nextel would construct complex and
convoluted financial arrangements that either returned a percentage of
the 900 MHz operators revenue and enabled transfer of the spectrum in
case of default. Maybe a no-lose deal for Nextel?

Again, nobody may like the methods and tactics used by Nextel but hat
has nothing to do with the reality of the results they get. 

Remember, nothing is unethical in business deals or unfulfilled 'almost'
promises and nothing is illegal until you are convicted and all appeals
have be used.

Now days 'fair play' is only evoked by the losers.

Until the industry starts understanding Nextel's business they will
continue to baffle conventional thinkers and upset those moralists that
can't comprehend the concept that ANYTHING is acceptable so long as it
benefits the corporation. 

But I maybe wrong........
Jack Daniel
===============================================

Mark wrote:
> 
> Why would NEXTEL even want to entertain deploying 900 MHz when their
> re-banding plan gives what they do have back to the FCC, or at least
> here in the states it does, to where they actually want 1.9 GHz.
> spectrum?
> 
> I did a small search for NEXTEL 900 MHz around here and couldn't find
> any active licenses and as I advised earler, the NEXTEL that I own
> isn't type accepted for 900 MHz. so even if they did deploy it I
> wouldn't be able to access it unit I purchased a new subscriber.
> 
> Mark
> 
> --- In [email-masked], Mark Krotz <mkrotz@q...>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > > until I returned a year later to find out own Tel-Aviv office
> > > being clobbered on our licensed 900MHZ test lab freqs.  Turns out
> the
> > > switch from the show was now directly across the street from us
> in the
> > > carrier's lab and still operating with it's transmitter site on
> that
> > > roof.  The carrier agreed to move it as it was never licensed for
> that
> > > particular location once the show ended.
> > >
> >
> >
> > I'm afraid this is an indicator of what us 900 users may see in the
> near
> > future.
> >
> >
> > M

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/