Subject: [NEXTEL-1] iPass partners with StayOnline for Wi-Fi roaming

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:19:53 -0500

iPass partners with StayOnline for Wi-Fi roaming

iPass today announced a partnership with StayOnline that will let iPass users have access
to StayOnline's 850 hot spots located in more than 100 hotels across the country. iPass
sells network and Internet services to businesses and other providers. Wi-Fi roaming has
been big in the last few weeks. Last week, HP announced a partnership with Transat to
introduce Wi-Fi roaming services to GSM wide area carriers and hot spot operators. iPass
is also partnered with Intel to help Intel's enterprise clients gain secure access to
wireless data.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iPass checks into StayOnline's network

By Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
February 7, 2003, 3:53 PM PT

Customers of iPass' connectivity software will be able to access the Internet in hotels
using StayOnline's wireless networks.

Under an agreement to be announced Monday, iPass users will have access to StayOnline's
network so they can use their laptops to securely and wirelessly surf the Web, send and
receive corporate e-mail, and tap into their corporate networks from any of the hotels
supported
by StayOnline.

Based in Atlanta, StayOnline has more than 850 Wi-Fi access points in more than 100
hotels,
including chains such as Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, Marriott,
Renaissance and Sheraton. Wi-Fi, also known as 802.11b, is a technology that allows the
creation of wireless networks with a radius of around 300 feet.

Redwood Shores, Calif.-based iPass works with network service providers and adds its
virtual
network software to networks so they are secure enough for traveling workers to wirelessly

access data from their company's network. iPass sells network and Internet services to
businesses and other providers.

The agreement is an effort by both companies to keep business travelers connected at all
times. Other companies have made similar moves. Boeing's wireless technology subsidiary
Connexion by Boeing on Thursday said it's in the middle of introducing in-flight Internet
service.
Efforts by Intel to integrate Wi-Fi chips into its Centrino package also reflect the
growing
popularity of wireless networking.

Intel is an investor in iPass and late last year struck an agreement with iPass to
collaborate on
improving access of wireless networks used by the companies' business customers.

Companies have been looking for methods to provide services and become part of the
grassroots community supporting Wi-Fi "hot spots" popping up in cafes, hotels, airport
lounges
and neighborhoods. Hot spots are places where wireless Web access is available to the
public
for a fee. So far, it's largely been a fragmented group using equipment with various
methods of
authorizing customers and billing them for time on the networks. More and more companies,
such as iPass and Cometa Networks, have been targeting mobile professionals with their
specific services.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-983889.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/