Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Unintentional Cellular 9

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:43:44 -0500

http://www.wccca.com/unintentional_cellular_9.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Unintentional
Cellular 9-1-1 Calls - Are You Part of The Problem?

If you read the
FCC report released December 11, 2002 you will find out that 9-1-1 centers
around the United States are concerned about the number of unintentional 9-1-1
calls received from cell phones.  In Washington County, approximately 50%
of our cellular 9-1-1 calls are unintentional.  We hear everything from
people singing as they drive down the road, conversations that were not intended
for us to hear, and people unloading groceries.

This means that we are tying up a
Calltaker for up to two minutes while they attempt to determine if this is a
call for help.  If you are waiting in line for help with a true emergency,
that is a long time to wait.

Please deactivate any 9-1-1 auto-dial
feature that might be hidden behind the 9 or 1 buttons.  Do not program
9-1-1 into your one button dial feature on your phone or this could be you
needlessly tying up 9-1-1 lines.  USE YOUR
KEY LOCK FUNCTION TO STOP UNINTENTIONAL DIALING.  With this feature
activated you can still answer incoming calls.

On January 5, 2003, CBS's Sunday Morning
ran a story about a group of linguists who get together to rate new phrases that
came to life in the past year.  One of the phrases being considered for #1
was
Dialarrhea: unintentional calls made from cell phones.

More 9-1-1 calls from cell phones.

Doesn't know
how to use key lock

Where's your toes

Do
You Love Me

Kids
With Phone

Kid Singing With Radio
This is obviously a "butt or pocket" call.  You hear the beeps at the start
of the call.  This is caused by the movement of the person carrying the
phone causing the buttons to be hit.  COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE with use of the
key lock function.

Another
Kid Singing

Questions or comments?
[email-masked]

Last Update:
01/06/2003 07:51 AM