Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Delays in Spectrum Reform Hamper Wireless Growth in the U.S.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:23:43 -0500

Delays in Spectrum Reform Hamper Wireless Growth in the U.S.

The amount of spectrum available and the way it is regulated are slowing the
adoption of new wireless technologies in the U.S. Currently, the Federal
Communications Commission, the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration, the Department of Defense, and Congress all have
an interest in how spectrum is used. Current physical and technical limitations
crowd users into about one percent of the radio spectrum. In that one percent
are both licensed and unlicensed users. TV broadcasters and the military have
the largest licensed share, followed by wireless phone and data services with a
smaller share. Unlicensed spectrum is used by W-Fi networks, Bluetooth
short-range wireless technology, cordless phones, baby monitors and garage
door openers. More and more wireless technologies are being developed,
further crowding that one percent, raising concerns about interference,
especially in unlicensed spectrum bands. To gain more capacity, large
licensed users - TV broadcasters and the Pentagon - would have to give up or
share some of their spectrum - something both are reluctant to do. The
Pentagon says its need for spectrum will grow as its equipment becomes more
high tech. The broadcasters do not want to open up their spectrum because it
will reduce its value. The way that spectrum is overseen must change in light of
the speed with which technology is changing, industry observers say. But it is
a complex task that most say won't happen overnight.
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/