Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MEDINA — Sometimes it pays to shop.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:49:22 -0500

Shopping results in better rates
By BRUCE F. GRIFFIN

Staff Writer

MEDINA — Sometimes it pays to shop.

As a result, the city stands to save more than $53,300 on its telephone bills
over a two-year period. City Finance Director Keith Dirham said he hopes to
get a line on additional savings by consolidating city hall Internet
connections.

The recommendations to dial the city into lower telephone rates resulted from
a local telecommunications services firm shopping the city's telephone bills
among different carriers.

The idea originated with Jerry Diehl, a project manager with Communication
Dynamics, based in Medina, and a former member of Mayor Jane Leaver's
budget advisory committee.

His firm also would give the city a break on the tab, said Diehl, who declined
to disclose a figure at this time. He did say the bill would be "under $10,000."

Normally, the bill would be half the money the city

saves on its phone bills, he explained.

"Part of this work we're chalking up as a contribution to Medina," Diehl said.

His firm's cost-reduction services summary covers long-distance and cell
phone rates.

By switching carriers from First Communication in Akron to Quest Ohio, the
city could take advantage of special rates negotiated by Ohio for
municipalities and schools, said Brad Boss-hard, Communication Dy-namics
president.

Over two years, the summary states, the city could save $14,0073.26 in
long-distance charges and $39,379.52 in cell phone use.

Diehl is recommending police and firefighters, who use Nextel and Alltel,
keep the services. Their contracts are separate from other city departments.

Consolidating Internet providers could save the city $500 to $800 a month,
Dirham said. City employees currently use a variety of services.

"We've been spending a good $750 a month on Internet," he said.

"We can save money by switching," Dirham said, "but there's a big
investment in the beginning" — $10,000 to $15,000 for hardware and new
computer software for combining Internet services.

City council would have to approve any changes.
http://www.medina-gazette.com/Articles.asp?num=57009091

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/