Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PUBLIC SAFETY FOUNDATION OF AMERICA AWARDS $2.4 MILLION TO EXPEDITE E-911 EMERGENCY SERVICES; ENHANCES PUBLIC SAFETY NET

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:47:50 -0500

PUBLIC SAFETY FOUNDATION OF AMERICA AWARDS $2.4 MILLION TO EXPEDITE E-911 EMERGENCY
SERVICES; ENHANCES PUBLIC SAFETY NET

Daytona Beach, FL, Feb. 18, 2003 – The Public Safety Foundation of America (PFSA) today
announced a series of grants to support and expedite the implementation of E-911
throughout the U.S. In this initial round of funding, nearly $2.4 million is being awarded
to 29 grantees in 20 states (list attached).

The PSFA was established in January 2002 by the Association of Public-Safety
Communications Officials International (APCO). The PSFA’s objective is to provide critical
funding and technical support to public safety answering points (PSAPs) and local
emergency response officials to enable the implementation of wireless E-911.
The nation’s wireless carriers currently are working to comply with a Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) mandate to implement E-911 wireless location technology by
the close of 2005. The PSFA’s efforts will assist in this undertaking and ensure that the
deadline is achieved. In the FCC’s highly publicized Dale Hatfield Report, E-911 was cited
as a critical component of homeland security.

In awarding the grants, the PSFA was guided by an Advisory Committee composed of public,
private and nonprofit organizations committed to enhancing public safety. Grants announced
today include $500,000 to the Anchorage (AK) Police Department, $267,000 to the North
Dakota Association of Counties, and $281,000 to the Lewis County (WA) Communications
Center Division. In some cases, the states are providing matching funds to complete the
PSAF-funded projects.

Wireless E-911 technology enables calls to 911 from mobile phones to be geographically
located, reducing response time. With the ever increasing number of emergency calls from
mobile phones, this technology facilitates the expedited delivery of public safety
services to citizens in each community.

"The implementation of E-911 technology will help save lives," said Thera Bradshaw, PSFA
Board President. "Our goal today in awarding these grants to state and local public safety
organizations is to ensure that this technology is in place as quickly as possible and is
available on a nationwide basis."
Public safety and non-profit organizations in the U.S. were eligible to apply for the
grants. The amount of the individual awards varies depending on local needs and the extent
to which the proposed project fit within the PSFA’s funding priorities. Those priorities
were as follows:

 Planning and Coordinating Proposals to determine how to best implement wireless 911
location technology for a single PSAP or a county, region or state.
 PSAP Equipment and Technology upgrades to make the PSAP capable of receiving and
utilizing information on wireless Phase II calls.
 Strategic Deployment Initiatives for programs designated at a high level to address
implementation challenges.
 Education Proposals to educate public safety agencies and other stakeholder groups about
the importance of implementing wireless location technologies.

"Given the tremendous budget constraints currently faced by our nation’s governors, these
grants from the PSFA will provide critical funding to make E-911 a reality in even the
smallest communities," said Thom Rubel, Director of State Information Technology Programs
for the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices. "Not only will we have a
stronger system of public safety but our nation’s families will have greater peace of
mind."
Funding for the PSFA is provided by a variety of sources, including donations from
corporations, APCO chapters and the Wireless E-911: PSAP Readiness Fund, a non-profit
organization established by Nextel Communications and dedicated to supporting the timely
implementation of wireless E-911. The PSFA will award three additional rounds of grants in
2003. Applications for the next round will be accepted through April 4, with award
decisions made by June 3. The PSFA Advisory Committee that administers the grants is
comprised of the following member organizations:

Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials International
International Association of Chiefs of Police
 International Association of Fire Chiefs
 National Association of Counties
 National Association of State EMS Directors
 National Emergency Number Association
 National Governors’ Association
National League of Cities
To obtain a grant application online, visit www.psfa.us.

About the Public Safety Foundation of America
The PSFA is a 501(c)(3) created to engender cooperation among public and private groups to
provide financial and technical support to the public safety communications community.
Website: www.psfa.usAbout the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials
International
APCO International is the oldest and largest public safety communications organization in
the world and is the only association that handles the entire operational scope of
emergency communications. APCO’s 16,000 members represent public safety agencies in all 50
states and the District of Columbia, the U.S. territories, and 34 other countries.
Website: www.apcointl.org

Grant Recipients

February 18, 2003
1. Alabama – $9,465 to the Elmore County E911
2. Alaska – $500,000 to the Anchorage Police Department
3. Arkansas – $43,700 to the Fulton County 911
4. Colorado – $150,000 to the Denver Police Department
5. District of Columbia – a total of $300,000 to two grantees: the International
City/County Management Association ($150,000) and Public Technology, Inc. ($150,000)
6. Florida – $20,000 to the Flagler County Board of County Commissioners
7. Georgia – a total of $79,000 to two grantees: the Rockdale County 911/EOC ($47,000) and
the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office E911 ($32,000)
8. Illinois – $50,000 to the Northwest Central 911 System
9. Minnesota – a total of $68,260 to four grantees: the Metropolitan 911 Board ($21,160);
the St. Louis Park Police Department ($18,600); the Cook County Sheriff’s Department
($18,500); and the Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office ($10,000)
10. Missouri – $25,350 to the Cooper County EMA/911
11. Montana – a total of $96,250 to two grantees: the State of Montana Department of
Administration ($50,000) and the Lewistown Police Department ($46,250)
12. Nebraska – $77,000 to the City of Lincoln
13. North Dakota – $267,000 to the North Dakota Association of Counties
14. Ohio – $5,489 to the Olmstead Township Police Department
15. Pennsylvania – a total of $80,100 to two grantees: the County of Erie 911 Center
($40,100) and the City of Philadelphia Police Department ($40,000)
16. South Dakota – $50,000 to the South Dakota Association of County Commissioners
17. Tennessee – $24,100 to the Cheatham County Emergency Communications District
18. Washington – a total of $320,000 for two grantees: the Lewis County Communications
Center Division ($281,000) and the Adams County Sheriff’s Office ($39,000)
19. Wisconsin – $55,000 to the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department
20. Wyoming – a total of $163,500 to two grantees: the City of Laramie Police Department
($55,000) and the Sheridan Police Department ($113,500)

http://www.apco911.org/about/pr/CongStatements/PSFArelease.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/