Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound 02-23-03

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:51:27 -0500

Dog Pound 02-23-03
------------------------------------
The City of Anchorage, Alaska will receive a $500,000 grant for  E- 911 Phase II
equipment. Deputy Police Chief Mark Mew expressed a realistic view on the unproved
technologies ability to pin point wireless callers, he understands that not all handsets
are E-911 Phase II capable and the solution will not be immediate. The $500,000 from the
Non-profit organization, "Public
Safety Foundation of America"  (Established in January of 2002 by the Association of
Public Safety Communications Officials
-APCO) receives funds from Nextel & others to assist PSAP's in Expediting E-911 and other
services. Public safety and
non-profit organizations in the USA are eligible for PSFA grants.

Story On Anchorage, Alaska's E-911

http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/2659570p-2701713c.html

PSFA On Grant Application Process:

http://www.psfa.us/application/PSFA_grants.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------
New York Police and Prosecutors say they must "Pick & Choose" which "Phone Dumps"  they
order due to the high charges
some carriers request. Carriers not only request a subpoena for access to phone records
but they also require reimbursement.
CALEA allows for the offset of certain expenses when Carriers are complying with law
enforcement requests. The Onondaga
County District Attorney's Office overspent its $25,000 budget to pay phone companies for
"Phone Dumps" they also
indicated they need to re-balance their books to make up for short falls according the
local media. Some carriers charge as
much $500 for a single dump.

For More on "Phone Dumps":

http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=1118209&nav=2aKDDuew

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In the Uniformed Fire Officers Association, Local 854 , I.A.F.F. , AFL-CIO President's
Report
UFOA speaks to the changes made to the Motorola XTS 3500R Handi-Talkies, which include:

-Emergency button that automatically activates an audible beep.

-RF Output Increased to 5 watts.

-New Speaker mic that will incorporate the emergency button and the channel selection
switch. (Not Yet Completed)

The new XTS 3500R's were field tested for 5 months in Staten Island prior to deployment.
UFOA also criticized FDNY for the lack of rigorous testing and documentation on the new
Motorola XTVA Suitcase Radio
aka "Post Radio".  The XTVA allows the portable to charge its battery in-vehicle while
sustaining the ability to transmit and
receive.  An optional radio frequency power amplifier (RFPA) will increase the output
power on  UHF. FDNY has recalled all
the Motorola XTVAFDNY is still evaluating the Kenwood "Post Radio" Radios.

More Info:

http://www.ufoa.org/prez/2003/gmm0203.html#one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillips, WI - The Phillips Common City Council approved  plans to investigate the
purchase of storm emergency sirens.
The current siren is over 30 years old and replacement parts are difficult to find.
Replacement cost is estimated at $26K+.
Location of the New Sirens have not been configured as of yet.

More Info:

http://www.phillipswi.com/placed/index.php?sect_rank=2&story_id=133073&refer_url=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

While some people think "Nextel" invented "Walkie-Talkies", two Students Tanya Marsh and
Travis Ryan from "Arcade
Fundamental Middle School" in the San Juan Unified School District, near Sacramento think
different, they created a web page
for their Research project on "Walkie-Talkie".  It's good to see Kids still realize the
difference between a real "Walkie-Talkie"
and a "Nextel". And NO "Nextel" is not the "Benchmark" for 2-way Radio Communications
comparisons. FYI-MONEY
Magazine named San Juan one of the top school districts in the nation.

 http://www.sanjuan.edu/schools/arcade/walkietalkierm.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearts go out to those who have recently lost love ones  in the two tragedies this week in
Chicago and Rode Island.
No words can express the pain they feel. It is clear some additional "NationWiide
Regulations" are required is needed to address "Crowd
Management" in places of public assembly. Over the years, incidents like those occurred
this week have been repeated.

Some similar past tragedies were:

Fatal Crush Occurred at City College New York  Jan, 1992
http://www.citycollege9.com/fatal.html

Building fire, Happylands Social Club, Bronx, N.Y., March 25, 1990
http://www.nypdnews.com/happylands.html

===================================================================================
News and Information from the Wireless World.
Copyright 2003, Dog Pound Media Group, DPMG.
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/