Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile infrastructure market shrank last year

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:23:55 -0500

Mobile infrastructure market shrank last year

02-17-03

According to Dell'Oro Group, in 2002 mobility infrastructure revenues declined 16% to
US$28.8 Billion, compared to 2001. This figure included GSM/GPRS/EDGE, TDMA, CDMA (all
variants) and WCDMA. In 4Q02, the market was up 15% compared to 3Q02 on seasonal strength.
Compared to 4Q01, however, the market in 4Q02 declined nearly 5%. These figures are
exclusive of service-related revenue which adds 25-30% to the overall market figure.

WCDMA, which more than doubled compared to 2001, was not able to offset declines in more
mature technologies as both GSM/GPRS/EDGE and CDMA declined in the mid-teens versus 2001.
In 2002, WCDMA comprised 6% of total mobility infrastructure revenue.

"Looking forward, we expect that mature technologies will continue to be under both price
pressure and capital spending cuts by network operators, and that the market will decline
by nearly 10% in 2003. Whilst we forecast that the WCDMA infrastructure market will grow
to nearly $4 Billion in 2003, these gains will be offset by further revenue declines in
the GSM- and CDMA-based infrastructure," says Greg Collins, Director at Dell'Oro Group.
"We do not expect the total market to return to growth until 2004."

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/