Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Battery informs cell phones of its lifespan

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:05:33 -0500

Battery informs cell phones of its lifespan

Posted to the site on 21-Feb-03

As levels of functionality in 2.5G and 3G mobile handsets and personal digital assistants
(PDAs) increase, an accurate account of remaining battery power is critical, especially
before an important wireless transaction. Texas Instruments has launched the industry's
first fully integrated battery fuel gauge for single-cell lithium-ion (Li-Ion) and
lithium-polymer (Li-Polymer) battery packs to calculate remaining battery capacity and
system run-time.

"As battery-powered consumer devices become more complicated and dynamic, designers of
those products will require the right intelligent hardware to provide accurate information
about the battery and system run-times to better manage available power," said Peter
Fundaro, worldwide marketing manager for TI's battery management products. "With today's
announcement, TI simplifies the design of a cost-effective accurate battery fuel gauge in
single cell applications by offering a solution that performs all the necessary
intelligent calculations on-chip, significantly reducing the amount of calculations
performed by the host-side microcontroller."

Unlike a standard battery monitor, the bqJunior battery fuel gauge incorporates an
on-board processor to calculate the remaining battery capacity and system run-time (time
to empty). The device measures the battery's charge and discharge currents to within one
percent error using an integrated low-offset voltage-to-frequency converter. A separate
analog-to- digital converter on the integrated circuit is used to measure battery voltage
and temperature. Using the measurement inputs, the bqJunior runs an algorithm to
accurately calculate remaining battery capacity and system run- time.

The fuel gauge operates directly from a single Li-Ion cell and operates at less than
100uA.
 --
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/