Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: We are Scanner Scum!!!! Pop'Comm Homeland Security Columnist

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:21:45 -0500

The subtopic related by Rich Arland in Popular Communications magazine's
"Homeland Security" column regarding 'Scanner Scum', was largely
tongue-in-cheek.  In perusing the article, I would have thought this to
be obvious to all.  Rich is not slamming scanner users at all, when you
consider his own account of becoming more interested and involved with
VHF/UHF monitoring as the years have gone by.  What is regrettable is
that a group of snobby shortwave listeners (SWL's) allegedly coined the
term and fed a rift.  But, that is already history, said and done.

Rich did outline a rather obvious low-tech approach to scanning public
safety and public utilities comms.  To date however, I have observed that
despite the seemingly massive public safety migration toward trunked
systems, some perhaps 90 percent of the area of the country can be
effectively monitored with low-tech scanners.  This is due to a number of
factors, not the least of which is the very common practice of
non-trunked multicasting of trunked public safety systems on 'old'
VHF/UHF channels.  Also, one doesn't actually need a trunk-tracking
scanner to monitor FM trunked radio systems.  That, and we still have the
reality that not every rural Podunk burg and bailiwick is anxious to
spend millions (that they don't have) on whiz-bang trunked systems with
dozens of talk groups, for a town police fleet of maybe three cars.

Although I have never met Ken Windyka, I have had a fair amount of
communication with him, and I understand that Ken is very knowledgeable
on, and active in, public safety and emergency communications response
matters.  Mr. Windyka's observations are therefore not to be casually
dismissed.  I merely hope that not too many other readers got the same
impression about 'Scanner Scum' as did Ken.

Ken, if I don't forget to do so tomorrow, I will put you in e-mail
contact with Mr. Arland.

Kind regards,

Alan Dixon
Contributing Editor
Popular Communications

[Please copy replies to: [email-masked] <n3hoe[a]juno.com>]

--------- Original Messages ----------
From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
To: "NEXTEL-1" <[email-masked]>,
WFHSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:23:00 -0500
Subject: We are Scanner Scum!!!! Pop'Comm  Homeland Security Columnist

They should have given the column to Alan D.!

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ken Windyka <[email-masked]>
Subject: We are Scanner Scum!!!! Pop'Comm  Homeland Security Columnist

Interesting article in March 2003 edtion "Popular Communications", Rich
Arland "Homeland
Security" newly appointed columnist.

Arland make mention in his column about how the "Scanner-Scum" term was
coined at one of
the annual Shortwave (SWL) Radio Winterfest (in PA) in the past.   He
further goes on to
mention that a "true scanner scum was when one could produce a complete
list of all
MacDonald's drive through frequenicies", and than states "Get a Life,
already!!!"   
Furthermore Arland than changes the name to how to spot a "scanner head"
a mile away...  
portable scanner on his belt.... portable frequency counter.....  back at
house a minimum
of two scanning radios, one of these will have an excess of 500 channels
& computer
controlled, ....  Arland additionally states this will be overkill.

Arland also tries to give professional advice on buying a scanner & seems
to be
recommending some 15+ old scanner technology obtained from yard/garage
sales, that won't
be able to receive any of the 800 mhz freqs or aviation band, and somehow
tries to equate
that these newer scanners would only be needed in the NYC, Boston, other
large metro
areas... Don't know about you folks but in the Springfield MA area over
the last 3 years
or so we've seen 5 community police departments & one community fire
department switch to
the 800 mhz band.  Also a very large precentage of the Massachusetts
State Police radio
traffic is now on a trunked radio system.  My Homeland security personnel
protection
method is to monitor any potential target's radio systems that's next to
me at home and/or
while at work!!!  Seems like Pop Comm Homeland security columnist has
missed the mark on
this one!!!  

I was quite surprised that "Popular Communications" would even allow such
an inflammatory
comment against scannerists  to be published.  There seems to some full
page & many other
ads from various scanner manufacturers, asw well as retail mail order
businesses that
support that publication on a monthly basis -- wonder what those vendors
will now think?

Too bad there's indication of  a "past" SWL Winterfest having this
scanner bias.   
Personnally, to me monitoring/listening to everything out there can be
exciting &
informative whether it be HF (SSB/AM), VHF, UHF, 800/900, etc, we really
don't need to
label folks in a derogatory manner for what they spend their hobby time &
discretionary
money doing!!!!, it's their business and some contribute there "finding"
efforts to lists
such as this on a regular basis.  

Anyways take a look at the article and judge for yourself.

BTW Arland doesn't list a email address in his column so I would guess
that the
[email-masked] would be the best alternative to express your opinion.

And remember we are all just "Scanner Scum"!!!

Ken Windyka
Springfield MA Monitoring Area

--

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:37:44 -0500

Thanks for the explanation Alan!

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:29:19 -0600

Marcel wrote:

>>VHF/UHF monitoring as the years have gone by.
>>
I'm sure the next issue of P-C mag will clear this up.
-rick

---

From: "marcel_rf1 <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:38:26 -0000

Statistics have shown that controversy drives readership up in most 
cases. Creating a "Buzz" positive or negative is usually beneficial 
for the publisher & writer. The more people talk about it, the more 
people will tune in to see what is happening. 

People get tired of the "Ho-Hum" they want cutting edge, racy, 
controversial, issues to stimulate their thoughts and not put them to 
sleep.

> I'm sure the next issue of P-C mag will clear this up.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->