Subject: [NEXTEL-1] re - Natl Task Force on Interoperability.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:11:55 -0500

------- Original Message --------
   From: Jim <[email-masked]>
Subject:  re - Natl Task Force on Interoperability.

Peter S.:

Thank you.  I have supported your outlook for quite some time.  I wish all those persons
involved in "Interoperability" & "Non-Interoperability" would read a report compiled last
Spring, by UNH.  It will show that the situations promulgated by the news media and a few
"individuals" is quite slanted, towards needless large expenditures of money.
Interoperability is not just the excited superficial purchase of new radios, it has been
and remains to be Planning, Procedure, Policy, Training, Practice.  Of which good and
reliable radio coverage is an integral part!  Not just shiny new techno-equipment.

This report, "Learning to Talk" was a result of The Atlas Project, part of "Justiceworks"
of the University of New Hampshire.  It is available on the Internet at:
<www.justiceworks.unh.edu/Research/B_B_Vol_5/justiceworkspub.pdf>
May I offer to all persons making decisions of migrating to digital radio or purchasing
multi-million dollar radio system, and even any radio system, read this entire report
FIRST!  Before they have to come to the realization that they were the victims of the
"carpet baggers"!  Then seek the help of those persons who have radio communications
"moxy" and not just academic credentials and/or gold embossed papers in frames!  Develop
your radio communications plan and policy, THEN purchase your radio system.
Jim
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 01:59 PM 2/21/03 -0500, you wrote:

> Quoting
>
> The public safety community has long heralded communications
> interoperability, but it received little national attention until the
> Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. In the aftermath, many New York City
> firefighters and police officers died because they couldn't speak to one
> another via their radios.
>
> --------------------------
>
> I would like to take strong exception to this comment. There were many
> reasons that people died that day. The lack of a NYPD person with a NYPD
> radio at the fire command post is one. Spending huge sums of money on
> "interoperability", while the problems due to dead spots and doubling go
> unaddressed, is foolhardy.
>
> Peter S