Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. military expands radio-wave tracking

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:30:46 -0500

U.S. military expands radio-wave tracking
By Alorie Gilbert
Special to ZDNet News
February 13, 2003, 4:05 AM PT
URL: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-984459.html

The U.S. Department of Defense is expanding its use of an emerging technology that
combines radio waves and computer networks to track shipments of military supplies,
in what some consider the largest project of its kind.

The massive government agency, which runs the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force, has
recently
expanded a multimillion contract for so-called radio frequency identification (RFID)
technology,
according to one of the military's primary suppliers of RFID equipment.

RFID systems have been touted during the past several years as a potentially major advance
in the
field of logistics, giving people the means to track the movement and location of supplies
as well as
identify particular shipments. The way they work is by attaching special "tags" containing
microchips to
an object, such as a container of ammunition. The tag emits radio waves, transmitting a
unique
identification code that can be read by radio frequency scanning devices in an object's
vicinity.

People can place scanning devices in storage facilities or air bases to monitor the coming
and going
of tagged supplies and relay the information to computers that trace the path of each
object. Using a
personal computer attached to such a network, a person could determine the location of
their supplies.

Commercial use of the technology has been fairly limited because of the high cost of the
equipment
required, particularly the "tags" attached to supplies being tracked.

Broader adoption appears to be around the corner, however. Razor maker Gillette recently
purchased
500 million RFID tags that it's testing at Wal-Mart and U.K.-based Tesco stores. It's
using the
technology to set up "smart shelves" that can sense when Gillette stock on store shelves
are running
low and send alerts via networked computers to store managers.

The government's use of the technology, however, has advanced more quickly. The Department
of
Defense set up its RFID system, dubbed the Total Asset Visibility (TAV) network, eight
years ago after
fumbling the shipment of supplies to troops in the Gulf War, according to executives at
Savi
Technology, an RFID supplier to the agency based in Sunnyvale, Calif.

The military has already used the system to coordinate the shipment of supplies to troops
in Somalia
and the Balkans, said Fraser Jennings, senior director of industry relations at Savi. It's
possible that
the government is using the system to help ship supplies to troops now being deployed in
the Middle
East in preparation for a war with Iraq, Jennings said. A representative at the Department
of Defense
said that's indeed possible but wouldn't absolutely confirm it.

The TAV Network, which utilizes the Internet as part of its infrastructure, has helped the
military more
efficiently deliver supplies to troops and bases around the world, according to Savi and
the
Department of Defense. During the Gulf War, the government lost track of many supply
shipments,
leading to redundant deliveries and wasted resources, Jennings said.

Savi, a privately held company that makes RFID tags, readers and software, claims the TAV
network
is the largest RFID network in the world in terms of geographic scope. Under a $190
million contract
with Savi, the military has tagged more than 270,000 cargo containers and placed readers
in about 400
locations in 40 countries, including sea ports, military bases and rail yards in Asia,
Europe, the United
States and the Middle East, according to Savi.

"In terms of using RFID to track ocean-based shipments across multiple ports around the
world, the
TAV network is certainly the most extensive network," said Adrian Gonzalez, director of
logistics
research at information technology analyst firm ARC Advisory Group.

The Department of Defense recently signed a three-year contract with Savi valued at up to
$90 million
to grow and update the system, Savi announced this week. The company is also working to
sell its
RFID systems to commercial enterprises and ports, and is already conducting tests with
retail chain
Target, Jennings said.

It's ironic that the government is stepping onto the leading edge of RFID technology,
noted Savi
spokesman Mark Nelson, because it's typically businesses that lead the way in adopting
information
technology to become more efficient.

"RFID technology has hit a lot of failed science experiments in the commercial sector,"
said Nelson.
"The military has shown that, when used correctly, over time it provides tremendous value
and
operational benefits."

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/