Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cingular Wireless to offer WackBerry

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:30:17 -0500

Cingular Wireless to offer BlackBerry

Cingular Wireless yesterday said it plans to offer Research in Motion's BlackBerry suite
of
handhelds and BlackBerry Enterprise Server v3.5 for enterprise email service. Cingular
will
be introducing its new Xpress Mail with BlackBerry service for its GSM/GPRS network on
February 17. Pricing options for the new Xpress Mail with BlackBerry service include a
$19.99 monthly service plan with 3MB of e-mail usage and a $39.99 monthly service plan
with unlimited email. Both are data add-on plans that can be bundled with any of
Cingular's standard GPRS rate plans.

BlackBerry gets in wireless sync

By Ben Charny
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
February 10, 2003, 2:26 PM PT

Research In Motion is adding wireless synchronization to its BlackBerry pagers, a
move that puts the company in step with key rival Good Technology.

Most BlackBerry pagers will be able to use a cellular connection to wirelessly synchronize
the
information on the devices with that on a corporate computer network, RIM announced
Monday. A representative for the company said BlackBerrys with the feature will be
available to
customers "soon"--perhaps within a number of weeks--but refused to specify a more exact
date.

RIM has been looking to broaden the number and types of devices that can use its software
and services in the face of increasing competition from the likes of Good and
Microsoft--with its
Smartphone software--and as it tries to increase growth amid a slowdown in corporate
spending.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company is focusing on the corporate market with its efforts.
RIM
makes the BlackBerry device and provides a corresponding service that allows owners to
update their contact lists and calendars and to send and receive e-mail while away from
the
office or home.

However, BlackBerry owners have not been able do this wirelessly, giving Good a big
advantage over RIM, as the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based rival already includes software that
allows
users to wirelessly synchronize data between its pagers and corporate servers. At the
moment, a BlackBerry must be tethered to a computer to do the same thing--but the new
feature is intended to change that.

"RIM's new GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) devices promise features that Good
Technology has had for over a year," said Andrea Cook Fleming, vice president of corporate

marketing at Good.

RIM also announced Monday that Cingular Wireless will begin selling a BlackBerry pager
that
works on its telephone network, which lets subscribers download e-mails at speeds of
between
20Kbps and 40Kbps.

Charles Nelson, president of Cingular's interactive division, said in a prepared statement
that
the new BlackBerry that it's selling will extend the company's "offerings to our
next-generation
network customers."

Cingular Wireless already sells BlackBerry and Good devices that use its Mobitex network,
which is about half as slow as the Xpress network.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-984050.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/