Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RA for new ESRC project - please circulate widely

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:26:31 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Steve Graham <[email-masked]>
Subject: RA for new ESRC project - please circulate widely

Apologies for Cross-Posting

RESEARCH POST ANNOUNCEMENT !!!
Research Associate, University of Durham, Department of Geography & University of
Newcastle, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape (Global Urban Research Unit -
GURU), UK.

Salary £18,265 - £27,339

UK Economic and Social Research Council 'E-Society' Project : 
"Multispeed Cities and the Logistics of Living in the Information Society"

18 months, full-time post : Commencing April 2003

Applications are invited for a full-time Research Associate to work with Dr Mike
Crang in Durham and Professor Stephen Graham in Newcastle on a Project
funded by the ESRC's new E-Society Programme
(see http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCContent/researchfunding/E-Society.asp).

The project will examine how the interactions of a variety of information and
 communications technologies or ICTs - 'phones, mobiles and the Internet -- work
the logistics of daily life. This will be done in both a relatively privileged and a
relatively disadvantaged neighbourhood within Newcastle upon Tyne. The aim of this
approach is to offer new insights into the effects of the 'digital divide' on the life
chances of communities and neighbourhoods within urban Britain. 

The project will use an innovative methodology combining qualitative methods and
time-use surveys in the two neighbourhoods. The study will focus in detail on how ICTs are
(or are not) being incorporated to mediate experience in four key
domains of everyday life (financial management, food shopping, training and
employment, and local collective action).

The post will be based in Durham or Newcastle (this is flexible).

Candidates should have a PhD and qualitative methods research training or
research experience in a relevant area of the social sciences (human geography,
anthropology, sociology, technology studies, media studies, urban studies).

The appointment will be made on a Research staff salary scale RA1A.

To discuss the post further please contact Mike Crang ([email-masked])
or Steve Graham ([email-masked])

To apply, send your CV, letter of application and the names and addresses of 2 referees to
Elizabeth Storey, GURU Secretary, at School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Claremont Tower, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU.

THE DEADLINE IS 26th FEBRYARY 2003

For more information, and a job and personal specification,  please see:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/vacancies/vacancy.phtml?ref=B302R

Please e-mail Elizabeth Storey at Elizabeth.Storey at [email-masked] for more
details about the project.

For more information on the two academic Departments see
http://www.apl.ncl.ac.uk/  and http://www.geography.dur.ac.uk/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Stephen Graham			   e-mail [email-masked]
Professor of Urban Technology      Telephone +44(0) 191 222 6808
School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
3rd Floor, Claremont Tower	    Fax +44(0) 191 222 8811 
University of Newcastle upon Tyne   Centre for Urban Technology     
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, U.K.    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/cut/ 

Surveillance and Society Web Journal 
http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/ 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/