Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Avis Car Renters Receive Turn-By-Turn Directions on Mobile Phone Using Motorola's VIAMOTO Location-Based Software Applications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:07:12 -0500

The "Never Lost" system found in many car rentals updates 3x as fast and provides a visual
reference map, with this system there is no visual guide. Never Lost is not dependent on
carrier service either. Good effort Moto.....
--------------------------------
Avis Car Renters Receive Turn-By-Turn Directions on Mobile Phone Using Motorola's VIAMOTO
Location-Based Software Applications

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. and PARSIPPANY, N.J., Feb. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Motorola, Inc. and Avis Rent A Car System, Inc. announced today that they have
engaged in a test market of the "Avis Assist" navigation service. For a daily
fee, Avis customers at the Dallas Fort Worth airport will now be able to rent
the phone-based navigation service that literally "talks you through"
directions to a destination, speaking street names and maneuvers along the
way.
"Avis Assist" is scheduled to expand to Dulles International Airport in
the Washington D.C. area in early March.
Developed by Motorola, "Avis Assist" is more practical than viewing a
foldout map.  "Avis Assist" enables Avis renters to receive spoken turn-by-
turn directions to their destinations on a GPS-enabled Motorola iDEN i88s
mobile handset, which is outfitted with a speakerphone.  The service is
continuously updated with map data and is integrated with point-of-interest
databases to provide users with the most accurate and up-to-date navigation
services possible.
Via speed dialing, the customer connects with the call center and provides
the Avis Advisor with a destination address or requests a directory search for
a point of interest in the area.  A route is then downloaded to the Avis
Assist unit, the Motorola iDEN handset, and turn-by-turn directions are
provided.
According to the Airports Council International, DFW was the sixth busiest
airport in the world in 2001 with over 55 million passengers.  DFW is also
home to one of the busiest Avis locations.
"We believe that the entire location-based services market will benefit
greatly with forward thinking enterprises like Avis," said Neal Campbell,
general manager of location services for Motorola's Personal Communications
Sector.  "Motorola's VIAMOTO suite of software is designed to work with our
customers goals of discovering new revenue generating services that meet the
needs of their consumers."
Scott Deaver, executive vice president of marketing for Avis, comments,
"Avis is committed to providing technologically advanced products that exceed
our customers' expectations.  Motorola and the other partners have developed a
portable navigation system that gives our customers a system they can enjoy in
whatever vehicle they choose to rent."
For the DFW market test, Motorola will provide its i88s GPS mobile phones
and VIAMOTO location software. TeleCel will provide fulfillment service for
the product.  Unity Call Center Group will provide call center services.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-26-2003/0001898451&EDATE=

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/