Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Virginia Broadband Report

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 12:49:37 -0500

http://www.technology.state.va.us/SecInfo/legReports/finalReportHJ163_021212.doc

Advancing affordable, high-bandwidth, electronic networks in rural Virginia
(156 Pages)
(The report documents the broadband deployment efforts of a number of small 
cities within Virginia)

Recommendations:

1)In accordance with the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Strategic Plan for 
Technology and the recommendation of the Virginia Rural Prosperity Commission , 
a “one stop” resource center should be established to assist rural communities 
through the process of infrastructure assessment, planning, and 
implementation.  As such, The Governor will seek legislative authority to 
designate one state agency, as determined by the Secretary of Technology, to 
serve as the central coordinating body for information and activities directly 
associated with the deployment of broadband telecommunications infrastructure.

2)Develop stronger links between existing telecommunications programs (COVAnet 
and Net.Work.Virginia) and local leadership.

3)Implement programs to encourage and facilitate greater participation in 
Federal Funding opportunities including the e-Rate and Rural Health Programs.

4)Provide adequate representation of Virginia’s IT interests at the Federal 
level.     

5)Significantly increase the availability of statewide telecommunications 
information.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/