Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New infrastructure suppliers can alleviate network congestion - report

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:39:30 -0500

New infrastructure suppliers can alleviate network congestion - report

A new Yankee Group report has suggested that solutions from new entrants can help
alleviate continuing performance problems, such as poor network coverage and dropped
calls, by delivering high-power amplifiers, superconductor devices, advanced antennae, and
various network-planning and optimization platforms.
"Even though operators spend significant sums on radio access network (RAN)
infrastructure, wireless networks continue to perform poorly. This creates opportunities
for new players to develop aftermarket performance-enhancing technologies," says Philip
Marshall, Yankee Group Wireless/Mobile Technologies director. "However, it is particularly
challenging for new entrants to create sales channels in the radio-frequency technology
market since established vendors generally use strong-arm tactics to protect their RAN
revenues and wireless operators are averse to the risks of unproven technologies. To be
successful, entrants must be cognizant of their market opportunities, the limitations and
value propositions for their solutions, the competitive landscape, operator pain-points
and the audiences likely to be most receptive to their technology."
Third-party providers of technologies such as high-power amplifiers and network
optimization tools have managed to penetrate the cellular industry. The major factors
influencing the relative success of these technologies include timing to meet market
demands, ease of implementation (plug-and-play) and the cost and inefficiencies relative
to traditional solutions. These factors also apply to other emerging aftermarket
technologies for enhancing radio-frequency performance.

Posted to the site on 25-Feb-03

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/