Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GSM network to be housed in hurricane proof building

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:25:49 -0500

GSM network to be housed in hurricane proof building
17-Feb-03

Cable & Wireless in the Cayman Islands has commenced building a facility, able to
withstand earthquakes and Category 5 hurricanes, which will house the main components of
the new GSM cellular system, along with control systems for C&W's other services.

Designed by OBM team members Cindy O'Hara - Managing Director, and Craig Nixon and Jaron
Jackson - Architects, the modern, 38,000-square-foot One Technology Square will be the
most advanced commercial structure in the Cayman Islands. The new building will house the
highest level of technological equipment and data systems for Cable & Wireless' central
telephone exchange, Internet servers and cellular service.

Designed to withstand category five hurricanes, as well as 300 pounds of pressure per
square foot - tripling the standard Cayman office building requirements -telecommunication
service for the Cayman Islands will be well protected. Other innovative features include
ten-inch concrete walls, a state-of-the-art security system, a twenty-four-seven incident
control room, a sophisticated networking system, temperature and humidity monitors and
controls, and handicap accessibility. Bunkrooms are a vital design feature, providing
employees the opportunity to successfully manage and operate the control center from an
enclosed, secure space during a time of crisis. Kitchen and bathroom amenities will allow
employees to remain on site during inclement weather and perform vital operations for as
much as two weeks.

General Manager of Cable & Wireless, Mr. Timothy Adam, said Cable & Wireless' decision to
build this new facility demonstrates the company's strong and ongoing commitment to the
Cayman Islands and its confidence in the future. "Cable & Wireless has been an integral
and important part of Cayman's past and will continue to be a key part of Cayman's future.
Cable & Wireless is in a business that is very exposed to the risk of obsolescence, not
only of technical equipment and facilities, but even buildings. Obsolescence means that
from time to time we have to write-off assets that have not been fully depreciated; this
in turn impacts our profitability. To be successful, Cable & Wireless must continue to
invest in new infrastructure. However, we must be able to demonstrate to investors that
our revenues and our profits can sustain such risks and also yield good returns on their
investments."

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/