Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Minnesota 800 MHz Regional Radio System v. Fire Department of New York(FDNY)System.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:36:15 -0500

Get the facts about the Minnesota 800 MHz Regional Radio System

Recently, inaccurate comparisons have been made between the Minnesota Regional Radio
System and the system that was used by the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) on
September 11, 2001, saying that the systems were the same, and that the system in New York

was a “disaster.”

There are important facts you should know.
_ The Fire Department of New York was not using an 800 MHz radio system
on September 11.

FDNY will soon be using a new radio system which operates in the 450 MHz frequency
band. The system is a “conventional” system, unlike the new Minnesota system, which is
trunked. On September 11, 2001, however, they were still using their old equipment and
system.
The system being used was a VHF analog system, similar to those currently being used in
Minneapolis and Saint Paul, in which communications were radio-to-radio.

The Minnesota system is strong, reliable, and resistant to failure.

The Minnesota system is a trunked system. Rather than communications being sent
radio-to-radio, each radio sends signals to a nearby tower or receiver site, which then
rebroadcasts that transmission at higher power. The system is designed and built to have
redundancy so that the loss of any tower would not significantly impair communications.

The design incorporates several redundancy features – a triple loop digital microwave
system, two independent but overlapping control zones, redundant Zone Controllers,
redundant
Site Controllers, and multiple radio frequency channels at each site. Closely spaced
towers are
used to greatly improve radio reception inside buildings in densely built downtown areas.
This
means that system operation is not dependent on a single site being operational.

The system is already operational. Several participating agencies have been using radios
for test purposes, and some have even begun deploying radios to some of their users for
regular
business communications. The users have been pleased with the performance of the system
and
have found that it provides much better coverage and audio quality than their old radios.

The system is currently undergoing exhaustive testing and is performing well. It is
currently in the final stage of testing, which is expected to be completed in late Spring.
Shortly
after testing is complete, more users will begin migrating to the system.

http://www.metroradioboard.org/document/MNNY.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/