Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ITU Workshop on Broadband

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:07:31 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: ITU Workshop on Broadband

Promoting Broadband

http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ni/promotebroadband/index.html
ITU New Initiatives Workshop on Promoting Broadband
April 9-11 2003, ITU Headquarters, Geneva 

As local and national governments prepare for the challenges of the information 
society, much interest has been generated by league tables that show who is 
doing well, and who is doing badly, on broadband Internet access. Although most 
existing users are residential consumers, broadband access is being touted as a 
way for governments to attract investment, ensure future economic prosperity 
and provide enhanced social welfare. But among developing countries, there is a 
fear that the huge investments necessary to establish wide-scale broadband 
access will open up a new digital divide. 

This workshop will examine the different strategies that have been followed by 
ITU Member States, at local and national levels, for promoting the deployment 
and use of broadband networks. The key research question is why some economies 
have been more successful than others and whether this success can be 
replicated?

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/