Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Amplifiers Could Boost Signal Of Fire Radios

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:34:52 -0500

Amplifiers Could Boost Signal Of Fire Radios

Fri Feb 14, 1:44 PM ET
Orange County is spending millions of dollars to fix a problem that's leaving
radios used by firefighters and police officers silent.

The solution they've found could cost taxpayers a
lot of money, WESH NewsChannel 2 reported.

A WESH NewsChannel 2 investigation proved
police and fire radios don't always work in
buildings across Central Florida. Dead zones
were found at the University of Central Florida,
Florida Hospital-Orlando and Orlando Regional
Medical Center.

Three popular resorts also had problems: Marriott
World Center, Caribe Royal and Residence Inn
near SeaWorld. That can cause delays for
paramedics working to treat patients.

"That takes time in treating the patient because you have to leave the
patient's side, in some cases, to actually walk 10 to 15 feet away to talk to
the doctor," Orange County Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Barry Luke said.

Police and firefighters can't talk to each other when radio signals coming off
towers don't penetrate into a large building. Firefighters and Orlando's police
chief said radio troubles haven't caused any deaths, but the thought alone is
disturbing.

"An officer that's not in contact with the department is at risk, and we take it
very seriously." Chief Michael McCoy said.

Outgoing Mayor Glenda Hood told WESH NewsChannel 2 she had never
heard that police and fire radios sometimes go dead inside some of the
city's large buildings, but city staffers are now reviewing the problem.

"Since you brought it up ... it is something that is being looked at. We are
checking into the facts of how many instances have happened, and really
researching at this point because life safety and public safety in the city of
Orlando is top priority," communications representative Mary-Alicia Johnson
said.

"It's definitely a big issue," Rep. Ric Keller, R-Orlando, said.

Keller, the only Florida representative on the House homeland security
committee, said the government is paying attention.

"I think the need for additional radios and other homeland security
equipment has got to rank as one of our top two priorities," Keller said.

Solving the problem isn't easy.

"A single radio is not going to be the answer," Luke said.

That's because each building may require a different kind of radio. But there
is a more permanent solution.

It's a little amplifier that's been around for years. Orlando police installed one
at Fashion Square mall nine years ago because their radios didn't work. The
amplifiers have also been put in at the Mall of Millenia, Orange County's new
sheriff's headquarters, the county courthouse, and at the newly expanded
convention center.

The city of Orlando wants to put one of the amplifiers in tunnels under
Universal CityWalk.

"They're cost prohibitive ... they're expensive systems to install," Orlando
Fire Department Assistant Chief Bob Sorenson said.

The county has already spent $8 million fixing its radios, but amplifiers can
add up to even bigger bucks.

"It could end up being millions of dollars if we took an inventory. We've not
gotten that far," Orange County public safety communications manager
Marilyn Ward said.

Congress may now help pay for up to $1.3 billion to help police and fire
departments in Central Florida and across the nation buy new radios and
special amplifiers.

The city of Orlando and Orange County are also both studying whether to
require all new large buildings to have amplifiers installed at construction.

To comment on this story, send an e-mail to Jack Fink.

-- http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ibsys/20030214/lo_wesh/1494404

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/