Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ericsson, Nokia and Siemens promote push-to-talk

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:58:08 -0500

Ericsson, Nokia and Siemens promote push-to-talk
17/02/2003

Ericsson, Nokia and Siemens are jointly defining
specifications for an open standard to encourage the
adoption of direct-call push-to-talk services over GPRS.

Push-to-talk service is a two-way form of communications
that allows users to engage in immediate communication
with one or more receivers, similar to Walkie Talkie -- simply
by pushing a button on their handsets. Users receiving the
transmission hear the sender's voice automatically without
having to answer the call. Business users like the fleet
management communication between taxi drivers and their
dispatcher is one concrete example of such a use case.
Consumers benefit from push to talk service in coordinating
recreational and social activities (for example, families
separated at an amusement park)

The technology uses the capabilities of the IP Multimedia
Subsystem (IMS). IP Multimedia System (IMS) is a technology
standardised by 3GPP, and adds the ability to deliver
integrated voice and data services over the IP-based packet
switched network.

Initial trials are expected to begin in the second half of 2003.

Ericsson, Nokia and Siemens are also inviting mobile
network operators and other manufacturers to join them in
creating an open, multi-vendor market for push-to-talk in the
GSM evolution path
(GSM/GPRS/EDGE/WCDMA) by developing products and
services based on this open standard.

 http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=14955
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/