Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NY City Council Overrides Veto of Bill to Banning Cell Phones at Public Performances

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:28:28 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "Neil Lehto" <[email-masked]>
Subject: NY City Council Overrides Veto of Bill to Banning Cell Phones at Public
Performances

The New York City Council voted 38-5 to override Mayor Michael Bloomberg's
veto of a bill that would restrict the use of cell phones and audible pagers
at public performances such as concerts, movies and plays. It also restricts
their use at museums, libraries and galleries. The law permits cell phone
use during intermissions, in theater lobbies, at sporting events and in
emergencies. Violators face a $50 fine. "Wireless phones are a part of a
long list of potentially inconsiderate behavior, a list that includes
talking during performances, singing aloud - except when sanctioned -
unwrapping candy and cough drops and even attending a public performance
when suffering from a cough or allergy," said Tom Wheeler, president and
chief executive of CTIA. "No matter how laudable the goal, the city cannot
legislate courtesy and common sense." A similar law has been proposed in
Montgomery County, Maryland. (Source: AP, New York Times, Gazette
Newspapers, Maryland) - more info

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/