Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO-Use of Collected 9-1-1 funds for purposes other than 9-1-1

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:06:02 -0500

Position Statement
Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials – International, Inc.
APCO

Use of Collected 9-1-1 funds for purposes other than 9-1-1

There are nearly 40 states in the U.S. that currently collect a surcharge for E9-1-1 from
wireless phone customers.  APCO has learned that some state and local government public
utility and other like agencies that collect these fees, are not releasing all or part of
these funds to the local public safety answering points (PSAP’s) for the use of location
service for wireless phones.  Some governmental agencies have funds well into the millions
of dollars that have been collected but not distributed while others have diverted the
funds to general usage or to address budget gap issues.  There are, however, some states
that have in place, very proactive collection and distribution methods, where the enabling
legislation is quite specific on how the funds can be expended i.e., only for       9-1-1.

In order to comply with FCC rules cited in FCC Docket 94-102, PSAP’s must be able to
receive location information (ANI/ALI) from wireless phones by December 31, 2005.  PSAP’s
readiness is critical. The ability to   receive and process location information is
essential in order to identify and locate wireless phone calls to 9-1-1.  Many PSAPs
require these very funds in order to    accept and process   Automatic Number
Identification and Automatic Location Information (ANI/ALI) from wireless phones. In many
locals   funds have been appropriated for this service collected but not distributed for
the implementation of location services for 9-1-1.

By proclamation and resolution of its Board of Officers, APCO encourages all states and
local governments that collect funds for the purposes of wireless E9-1-1, to use those
funds for the express purpose of PSAP readiness for wireless E9-1-1.  If any funds are
found to be in surplus of the amount needed for initial readiness, funds should be
reserved for future upgrades and enhancements of the emergency telephone system. PSAPs
must be able to receive and process location and call back information from wireless phone
devices.  Any use of such funds other than for this purpose is not supported by APCO and
are in contrast to good sound public safety policy.  APCO believes that the public is at
risk in those situations whereby funds are collected, yet used for purposes other than
PSAP needs for 9-1-1.  Furthermore, APCO believes that consumers are being misled by state
and local government organizations that use 911 funds for other purposes. This must not be
permitted to continue. THE PUBLIC’S SAFETY IS AT RISK.

Adopted by: APCO Board of Officers
  February 7, 2003

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/