Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: Tom Kelly Promoted to Nextel's Chief Operating Officer

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:07:19 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Donahue, Tim 
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 8:44 AM
Subject: Tom Kelly Promoted to Nextel's Chief Operating Officer
Importance: High

After an extensive five month, internal and external search for a new Chief
Operating Officer (COO), I am pleased to announce that Nextel has promoted
Tom Kelly to Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, effective
today. Tom joined Nextel in 1996 and his most recent position was EVP &
Chief Marketing Officer.  He has assisted me with many of the day to day
responsibilities of the COO at my request during this interim period and he
has excelled in the role. 

Tom has been a significant contributor to Nextel's success.  His many
achievements include defining and overseeing management of our seven
strategic pillars, the launch and management of our Boost initiative, and
development and oversight of our new company-wide Smart Growth initiative.
Tom is one of Nextel's chief architects who contributed significantly to the
development and implementation of the strategy which has positively impacted
the overall success of our company.  He has helped to aggressively build
this company into the premiere wireless communications provider to
businesses in the U.S., often playing pivotal behind-the-scenes roles in
driving us toward that success.  As you know, 2002 was a challenging year
for our industry.  But with top-notch leaders like Tom and dedicated
employees, Nextel thrived in 2002 beating investors' and analysts'
expectations. 

In his new role as COO, the following leaders will report to Tom:

*	Mark Angelino, SVP, Sales & Distribution  
*	Cathy Bradley, SVP, Business Transformation 
*	Pat Garner, SVP, Consumer 
*	Limond Grindstaff, SVP, Engineering Operations 
*	Atish Gude, VP,  Strategic Planning   
*	Dick LeFave, SVP, CIO 
*	Rick Orchard, SVP, Customer Care Operations 
*	Greg Santoro, VP, Internet & Wireless Services   
*	Mark Schweitzer, VP, Marketing

Elizabeth Brooks, VP, Corporate Communications will report to me, effective
immediately. 

Tom remarked at our National Kick-off meeting that we have three objectives
at Nextel: we strive to be first, to be better, and to be different.  On
behalf of the board of directors and senior leadership team, I have complete
confidence that, with Tom as our chief operating officer, we will continue
to meet and exceed these objectives in 2003.  

I am confident we have selected the best person for this critical leadership
role.  Please join me in congratulating Tom and wishing him great success in
his new role. 

Tim