Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phones in Hospitals

From: "Philip Macafee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:47:45 -0800

What is an in-building cell phone unit? The something-link listed below?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mabardy, Mark [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 11:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phones in Hospitals

My parents are elderly so none the less I make trips to the hospital when
they are in there and have been approached by staff to turn off my wireless
equipment, (which I now do) but the hospital has at least 2 cell sites on
the roof.  It doesn't make sense that if the hospital has a cell site on the
roof that my phone is going to cause more splatter on the patients equipment
then the equipment on the roof pushing out a lot more power than my phone.
However the hospital staff all have the in building cell phone units
(something link) and  what these units don't cause interference ?
Seems like it is an environment which more testing should be done to gain
more facts.  Can any one tell me why the staff's in building equipment won't
cause interference but mine will ?  BTW when I brought in my VHF portable
putting out 4.89 watts no one stopped me and said turn it off.
Is the issue only hand held cell phones ?  But radios putting out higher
power are exempt ?
Perhaps the notice on the hospital door needs to be rewritten to mean all
portable communication devices, including WiFi and radio equipment.
Perhaps the true reason (for turning off wireless equipment) is they don't
want interference but on the other hand they don't want distractions to
interfere with their operations.
I just find it amazing that my cell phone (to the hospital staff) is more of
a threat to the patients electronic equipment then my 2 way radio.  What
about my issued trunking radio ?   
Any thoughts ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Griffin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phones in Hospitals

I work in an Operating Room at my local hospital.  Our equipment manager
carries around with him a hospital issued cell phone, so vendors can call
him, as he is always never in his office.  It had a cover on it so i
couldn't get a look at who mafe it or a model #, but i kinda looked like
some of the older iden units.

> Fred Manhole wrote:

> I am wondering about the issue of cell phone safety  
>  inside of Hospitals and other medical facilities.
> Are their any wireless phone which do not interfere  
> with medical equipment (which I assume is the concern)
>
> Any help in clarifying this issue would be appreciated.  
> Thank You
>
> Fred Mahnke

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> . 

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor	

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243066.2784922.4151385.1927555/D=egroupweb/S=17073678
02:HM/A=1377501/R=0/*http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=b3089011320061
6000> 	
 
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243066.2784922.4151385.1927555/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1377501/rand=586280350> 	

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> . 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Mabardy, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:02:39 -0500

I want to say spectra-link but not sure.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mabardy, Mark [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 11:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phones in Hospitals

My parents are elderly so none the less I make trips to the hospital when they are in there and have been approached by staff to turn off my wireless equipment, (which I now do) but the hospital has at least 2 cell sites on the roof.  It doesn't make sense that if the hospital has a cell site on the roof that my phone is going to cause more splatter on the patients equipment then the equipment on the roof pushing out a lot more power than my phone.  However the hospital staff all have the in building cell phone units (something link) and  what these units don't cause interference ?
Seems like it is an environment which more testing should be done to gain more facts.  Can any one tell me why the staff's in building equipment won't cause interference but mine will ?  BTW when I brought in my VHF portable putting out 4.89 watts no one stopped me and said turn it off.
Is the issue only hand held cell phones ?  But radios putting out higher power are exempt ?
Perhaps the notice on the hospital door needs to be rewritten to mean all portable communication devices, including WiFi and radio equipment.
Perhaps the true reason (for turning off wireless equipment) is they don't want interference but on the other hand they don't want distractions to interfere with their operations.
I just find it amazing that my cell phone (to the hospital staff) is more of a threat to the patients electronic equipment then my 2 way radio.  What about my issued trunking radio ?   
Any thoughts ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Griffin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phones in Hospitals

I work in an Operating Room at my local hospital.  Our equipment manager carries around with him a hospital issued cell phone, so vendors can call him, as he is always never in his office.  It had a cover on it so i couldn't get a look at who mafe it or a model #, but i kinda looked like some of the older iden units.

> Any help in clarifying this issue would be appreciated.  

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service. 

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor	

ADVERTISEMENT
 <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243066.2784922.4151385.1927555/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/A=1377501/R=0/*http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=b30890113200616000> 	
  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243066.2784922.4151385.1927555/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1377501/rand=586280350> 	

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

---

From: "Erik H East" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:33:46 -0800

Was Link-?sys

>From: "Mabardy, Mark"

>Reply-To: [email-masked]

>To:

>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:02:39 -0500

>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.