Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Extends Build-Out Deadline For 900 MHz Band SMR Licensees]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:36:04 -0500

Todd-

------- Original Message --------
From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Subject: FCC Extends Build-Out Deadline For 900 MHz Band SMR Licensees

FCC Extends Build-Out Deadline For 900 MHz Band SMR Licensees

The FCC's Wireless Telecommunications Bureau has given Major Trading Area (MTA) licensees
in the 900 megahertz specialized mobile radio (SMR) service an additional 16 months to
build out their systems. The bureau was responding to requests filed by FCI 900, Inc., a
subsidiary of Nextel Communications, Inc., and Neoworld License Holdings, Inc.
Most of the 900 MHz SMR MTA licensees won their permits at an auction that ended in 1996
(TR, April 22, 1996), and their five-year construction deadline was Aug. 12. In the
memorandum opinion and order released today, the bureau decided to extend the deadline to
Dec. 31, 2002.

"We find that an extension will serve the public interest because it will allow the
introduction of innovative digital 900 MHz voice services, thus benefiting consumers and
promoting competition," the bureau said. Nextel, Neoworld, and other 900 MHz MTA licensees
have said they intend to deploy digital systems but that equipment wouldn't be available
to meet the current build-out deadline.

FCC rules require 900 MHz SMR MTA licensees to serve at least two-thirds of their
population within five years of obtaining their licenses, or to demonstrate that they are
providing "substantial service." In its order, the bureau rejected Neoworld's request to
issue a declaratory ruling that certain future action by the company would constitute the
provision of substantial service.

--
    "NEXTEL1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
Subscribe to Nextel1:  http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/NEXTEL1

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/