Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Latest wireless networking standard nears

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:23:36 -0500

Latest wireless networking standard nears
By Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
February 14, 2003, 9:56 AM PT

The latest wireless networking specification is one step closer to becoming a standard
after an industry group announced Friday the approval of the specification's most
recent version.

Known as 802.11g, the specification increases the bandwidth of wireless networks from
11Mbps, under the 802.11b standard, to 54Mbps. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics

Engineers said Friday that a consensus had been reached to establish the latest version of
the
802.11g specification, version 6.1, as the standard to be used in the industry.

The specification must go through two more hoops before it becomes a standard, which
should
happen in June. The standard is expected to be published in July.

"The point was to give the industry a progress update on (802.11g) and to establish a
schedule
for when the standard would be finished," said Matt Shoemake, an IEEE representative.
"There
are still technical changes going on between draft versions."

By establishing a standard, companies that participate in creating it are basically given
a set of
rules for developing their products to ensure that products from many different companies
will
be able to interoperate with one another.

The market for 802.11b-based products has benefited from the process of establishing an
industry standard, with the number of products tripling in 2002 from the year before.
While
shipments jumped, average selling prices dropped significantly. Many expect 802.11g-based
products to become the premium product in the wireless networking market.

The group that helped to develop the 802.11g specification consists of well over 100
computer,
networking and software companies, as well as those from consultant organizations and
academic institutions.

There has been some concern in the wireless networking industry over the interoperability
of
currently available 802.11g-based products. The products are based on the draft versions
of the
802.11g specification and some have claimed that the draft versions have interoperability
problems with 802.11b-based products. The 802.11 specification is meant to be
backward-compatible with the 802.11b standard.

Industry groups, such as the IEEE and the Wi-Fi Alliance, had declined to comment on any
interoperability issues surrounding the 802.11g products in the past, but alluded to the
concerns Friday.

"The IEEE P802.11g draft had technical changes made to it at the January 2003 session, and

further changes are expected starting in March 2003 based on comments received from the
sponsor organization of IEEE 802.11," Brian Mathews, IEEE 802.11 publicity chair, said in
a
statement. He added, "The only sure way to guarantee compliance and avoid potential
interoperability problems is to wait for final ratification of 802.11g, which is highly
likely in June
2003."

The 802.11g specification was updated to version 6.1 in January and the IEEE is expected
to
update the draft to version 7.0 in March.

Shoemake added that the changes between versions 5.0 and 6.1 of the 802.11g specification
were significant enough that they were "noninteroperable."

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/