Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola XTS 3500R Handi-Talkies

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 02:02:19 -0500

Motorola XTS 3500R Handi-Talkies - Last Saturday the Department replaced all old
Handi-Talkies with the new Motorola XTS 3500R. This union has insisted since March 2001,
that uniformed members must be involved with research, development and testing of any
communications equipment. We all know the results when the former administration bypassed
all testing and evaluation procedures when the radios were first introduced in February of
2001.

The handi-talkie project started up again in March 2002. This time we had assurances from
Commissioner Scoppetta and Chief Cassano that the uniformed force would take the lead in
testing and evaluation. The radios were field tested for 5 months in Staten Island and
significant changes were made including an emergency button that automatically activates
an audible beep and boosts the radio to 5 watts. The Department plans to replace the
remote microphone with a new microphone that will incorporate the emergency button and the
channel selection switch.

The command post radio is a major step toward solving hi-rise communication problems that
were not addressed in the original plan. It was no surprise to us that once again, a radio
was developed by one of our own members, Captain Mike Stein. The command post radio
operates at 45 watts and has performed exceptionally well in field tests throughout the
city. Those radios will initially be assigned to 13 battalion in hi-rise areas of
Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens with plans to place a command post radio in every
battalion. Chief Cassano also informed us that his plan also includes having a spare
battery assigned to each charger.

Last week the Department unexpectedly distributed Motorola XTVA Suitcase Radios to
selected battalions. This radio has not undergone the same rigorous testing procedures as
the Kenwood Post Radio. The Motorola Suitcase Radios were delivered without documentation,
without training, without a videotape and without instructions for use. These are the
conditions, which caused a two-year delay in the delivery of an improved and reliable
handi-talkie (HT) to our field units. The Department has recalled all the Motorola XTVA
Radios.

It is important for all officers to make immediate notifications through the chain of
command to document any problems you encounter. Please make sure you also send a copy to
the UFOA.

http://www.ufoa.org/prez/2003/gmm0203.html#one
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/