Subject: [NEXTEL-1] T-Mobile Outpaces the Wireless Industry With Fastest Growth in Consumer Interest, Compete, Inc. Finds

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:17:19 -0500

T-Mobile Outpaces the Wireless Industry With Fastest Growth in Consumer Interest, Compete,
Inc. Finds
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-02-10

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 10, 2003--
Increasing Importance of Online Channel for New Subscriber Acquisition
Reinforced by Analysis of Wireless Carriers' Q4 Online Metrics
T-Mobile outpaced the rest of the wireless industry last quarter in the battle for online
consumer interest, posting the fastest mind share growth among major carriers, according
to new analysis from Compete, Inc. While still trailing AT&T Wireless, Verizon and
Cingular in overall share, growth in T-Mobile's share of online prospects jumped by 35
percent from October to December.

Compete's analysis revealed that approximately 8.3 million consumers evaluated service
offerings online across the big six wireless carriers in the U.S. in December 2002.
Compete evaluated consumer demand and preference among these "in-market" wireless
prospects to gain insights into the marketing strategies and acquisition performance of
the top wireless carriers.

"The sheer size and behavior of in-market wireless prospects during Q4 highlight the
strong role the online channel plays in customer acquisition for carriers," said Stephen
DiMarco, Compete's Vice President of Marketing and Client Services. "The online channel
was a key component of T-Mobile's industry-leading growth in Q4 - adding more than 1
million net new subscribers. We continue to see a compelling connection between consumer
interest and behavior online and actual subscriber acquisition."

The new Compete analysis also found that:
-- AT&T Wireless led the industry in share of online interest
among in-market wireless prospects at 40 percent. Verizon and
Cingular were the second and third-ranked carriers with 25
percent and 20 percent share, respectively. Based on its surge
in interest, T-Mobile matched interest in Sprint PCS,
attracting 15 percent of all in-market prospects. Nextel
captured the least interest at 10 percent.

-- A strong emphasis on promotions fueled AT&T Wireless's leading
share of interest and attracted distinct consumer segments. 73
percent of AT&T Wireless prospects in December evaluated one
of its promotional offerings - more than double the interest
levels generated at Nextel and Sprint PCS. AT&T Wireless
dominated interest among prospects over age 45 and prospects
with household income under $30,000, attracting over three
times the number of consumers in these segments than the
average of the five other carriers.

-- T-Mobile, in contrast, attracted a more focused prospect than
other carriers. 54 percent of T-Mobile's prospects evaluated a
service plan compared to the industry average of 32 percent.
In particular, interest in family plans, which grew moderately
for all carriers, surged for T-Mobile, as it posted over 100
percent growth in prospects evaluating its "FamilyTime" plan
from October to December.

-- T-Mobile also improved its competitive positioning over the
course of the quarter. While 57 percent of T-Mobile prospects
did not evaluate another carrier's offerings in October,
T-Mobile improved this important measure to 70 percent in
December.

"As the market share war continues among carriers in 2003, online consumer behavior of
in-market wireless prospects will serve as a reliable and leading indicator of who will be
the winners and losers," added DiMarco. "Our analysis shows that this group carefully
researches service plans, features and promotions online. Carriers have a substantial
opportunity to expand market share with the product messaging, packaging and promotional
tactics they use within the online channel."
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=36556292&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/