Subject: [mobile-ip] next base draft version

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:48:18 +0200

Hi,

It looks like all issues we have discussed have been resolved in
one way or the other (let me know if you think something was still
open).

Ed Remmell and I have been going through the list of modifications
and checking them against the issue resolutions. I made a number
of small corrections related to issues 228, 234, 241, 244, and
edited the spec according to issue 258 which had incorrectly been
marked as edited before. So it looks like the resolutions are
now in the spec in the correct way. But if you raised an issue,
do take a look at the latest draft on the web and see for yourself.

The main modifications are listed at the end of this e-mail. Or use
one of the URLs for a browsable list.

The intention is to submit draft 21 later today. My understanding
is that the draft will then be discussed by the IESG. And as you
remember, the related ha-ipsec draft is in version 03, and is
currently in IETF LC.

URLs:
   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/drafts/mobilev6.html#changes
   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/drafts/drafts.html
   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/MIPv6-Issues.html

Jari

Modifications in draft 21 vs. 20:

    o  The lifetime of a binding on a correspondent is now limited to the
       lifetime of the home registration, not the lifetime of the home
       address (tracked issue 261).

    o  This specification no longer requires site-local forwarding to be
       configurable (tracked issue 258).

    o  Infinite binding lifetimes have been removed (tracked issue 256).

    o  This specification now disallows the use of the Binding
       Authorization Data option in a home registration, and requires
       Binding Updates the home agent with such options to be dropped
       (tracked issue 255).

    o  The verification of Home Address Options without an existing
       Binding Cache entry has been clarified.  IPsec is now sufficient
       for this verification only in the case of the home agent and a
       home address which the home agent is willing to serve (tracked
       issue 253).

    o  Appendix B.6 now describes some potential Neighbor Discovery
       enhancements that may be relevant for Mobile IPv6 in the future
       (tracked issue 252).

    o  The Home Address Option rule has been clarified in Section 11.7.2.
       This rule deals with starting route optimization when a tunneled
       packet has been received (tracked issue 251).

    o  Binding Cache entries can now be created from non-error ICMP
       messages.  This allows Mobile IPv6 to be tested with ping, which
       uses ICMP echo messages (tracked issue 250).

    o  The support for protecting prefix discovery with IPsec has been
       made mandatory, but use is still a SHOULD (tracked issue 249).

    o  It is now required that L=0 registrations do not allow the home
       agent to derive any other address from the home address (tracked
       issue 248).

    o  Prefix fetching interval constants have now been defined (tracked
       issue 245).

    o  It is now required that mobile nodes must set both lifetime to
       zero and care-of address to the home address when de-registering
       (tracked issue 244).

    o  Requirements for security association and policy configuration for
       new home addresses received through prefix discovery have been
       specified (tracked issue 243).

    o  New Status code 1 has been added to Binding Acknowledgement
       (tracked issue 243).

    o  Mobile nodes are now required to initiate prefix discovery upon
       receiving Status code 1 in a Binding Acknowledgement (tracked
       issue 243).

    o  The set of addresses for which the home agent intercepts packets
       has been clarified (tracked issue 241).

    o  Both pros and cons of route optimization have been discussed in
       Section 8.2 (tracked issue 241).

    o  Checksum validation is now the first check performed for Mobility
       Header messages (tracked issue 241).

    o  Section 6.1 now correctly indicates that for some Mobility Header
       messages the number of options is zero or more, not one or more
       (tracked issue 241).

    o  The security implications of dynamic home agent address discovery
       have been updated (tracked issue 239).

    o  The specification no longer uses RFC 2119 keywords for describing
       when route optimization should be started, continued, or stopped
       (tracked issue 237).

    o  The requirements for configuration mechanisms for various Mobile
       IPv6 parts have been changed (tracked issue 236).

    o  A warning has been included about the use of Dynamic Home Agent
       Address Discovery with extremely long prefix lengths (tracked
       issue 235).

    o  The usage of the Alternate Care-of Address option has been
       clarified in Section 6.2.5 (tracked issue 234).

    o  The security considerations section now contains an analysis of
       the sufficiency of the length of the various cryptographic
       entities (tracked issue 233).

    o  The Home Agent (H) bit is now required to be set in some
       advertisement of a prefix before home addresses based on this
       prefix can be registered (tracked issues 231 and 246).

    o  The conditions for delaying Duplicate Address Detection have been
       rewritten (tracked issue 230).

    o  Text relating to keygen token handling in de-registrations has
       been clarified (tracked issue 229).

    o  IPsec protocol and mode requirements have now been stated as
       minimal requirements and no longer prevent the use of other
       protocols (AH) and modes (tracked issue 228).

    o  Processing rules for Binding Refresh Requests have been rewritten
       (tracked issue 227).

    o  Binding Error processing is now a MUST requirement (tracked issues
       190 and 225).

    o  The source address in proxy Neighbor Advertisements sent by the
       home agent has now been specified (tracked issue 223).

    o  RFC 2119 keywords are now used for describing the reuse of tokens
       in the return routability procedure (tracked issue 221).

    o  The alignment of the Binding Authorization Data option has changed
       (tracked issue 220).

    o  An editorial correction in the processing order of type 0 and type
       2 routing headers has changed the semantics (tracked issue 217).

    o  When returning home, the mobile node no longer targets the home
       agent's address in a Neighbor Solicitation that tries to find the
       link-layer address of the home agent.  Instead, it target's the
       mobile node's own address which the home agent is defending
       (tracked issue 218).

    o  A number of editorial modifications have been performed (tracked
       issues 234, 241, 242, 249, 261, 262, and 264).

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:35:00 +0200

Jari Arkko wrote:

> The intention is to submit draft 21 later today. 

Draft 21 has been posted. Before it appears in the
official directories, it is available on my web site.

The last modification that went into draft 21 was
a new editorial issue from Ed Remmell (#266). Thanks
Ed for your review...

Jari