Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Phase II Technology Provides More Location Information For Wireless 9-1-1 Calls

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:31:45 -0500

Phase II Technology Provides More Location Information For Wireless 9-1-1 Calls

HOUSTON, Feb. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Cingular Wireless, in conjunction with
the Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network, today announced it has
launched the second and final phase of its enhanced 9-1-1 technology in Harris
and Fort Bend Counties.  This represents Cingular's initial deployment of
"Phase II" E9-1-1 service for wireless calls in the United States.
"Safety is one of the top reasons why people purchase a wireless phone,
and each day more than 140,000 emergency calls are placed to 9-1-1 operators
across the country from wireless phones," said Andy Shibley, vice president
and general manager, Cingular Wireless, West Region-South Texas.  "With the
launch of Phase II 9-1-1 service, we again are demonstrating our commitment to
public safety," he said.
Bringing enhanced 9-1-1 to wireless users has been a priority for carriers
and public safety agencies.  Cingular partnered with the Greater Harris County
Emergency Network on this Phase II service deployment, which provides
additional location information about wireless calls to 9-1-1 call takers.
"The residents of Harris and Fort Bend Counties should feel proud to know
that they live in a community where the 9-1-1 Emergency Network and Cingular
Wireless are committed to having the most up-to-date wireless technology for
emergency situations," said John Melcher, deputy director for the Harris
County 9-1-1 Emergency Network and president of the National Emergency Number
Association.  "We are proud to work with Cingular in bringing this service to
wireless users in the Houston area."
In 1996 the FCC mandated that wireless carriers transmit to public safety
answering points information that would help identify the location of 9-1-1
calls.  Under the first stage of the deployment, called Phase I, carriers had
to provide the call-back number of the wireless phone and the location of the
cell tower handling the call.  Cingular Wireless deployed Phase I 9-1-1
service with the Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Network in May 2000.
The FCC's Phase II mandate requires wireless carriers to provide
additional location information about the wireless caller.  Cingular began
working with the Greater Harris County Network last year to deploy Phase II
service.

Background
When a wireless 9-1-1 call is placed, the call taker at the 9-1-1 Public
Safety Answering Point (PSAP) does not have information about the location of
the caller unless enhanced 9-1-1 location technology has been deployed.  In
1996 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandated the implementation
and deployment of enhanced 9-1-1 service in two phases to enhance the ability
of PSAPs to locate wireless 9-1-1 callers.
Under Phase I, which was deployed in Houston in May 2000, 9-1-1 systems
provide the phone number of the wireless handset from which an emergency call
originates and the location of the cell tower carrying the call to the 9-1-1
operator.
Phase II requires additional location information (as mandated by the FCC)
for the 9-1-1 operator to use in emergency situations.
Cingular Wireless was the first wireless carrier to deploy Phase I
emergency service in Harris County.

About Cingular Wireless
Cingular Wireless, a joint venture between SBC Communications (NYSE: SBC)
and BellSouth (NYSE: BLS), serves more than 22 million voice and data
customers across the United States.  A leader in mobile voice and data
communications, Cingular is the only U.S. wireless carrier to offer Rollover,
the wireless plan that lets customers keep their unused monthly minutes.
Cingular provides cellular/PCS service in 43 of the top 50 markets nationwide,
and provides corporate e-mail and other advanced data services through its
GPRS and Mobitex packet data networks.  Cingular offers customers advanced
technologies in simple, cost-effective ways that permit them to tap the
creative potential of wireless through their own self-expression.  Details of
the company are available at http://www.cingular.com .

About Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network
Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network in Houston, Texas,
administers one of the most technologically advanced 9-1-1 systems in the
nation, and has participated in several proof-of-concept trials, including
wireless location and automatic crash notification.  Greater Harris County
9-1-1 Emergency Network is dedicated to providing its citizens with the finest
technology available for the citizens that it serves.  GHC 9-1-1 is the
largest 9-1-1 system in Texas and the third largest in the United States,
serving more than 4 million citizens in 2 counties and 48 cities, including
Houston.  More information about the Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency
Network is available at http://www.911.org .

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/