Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ready to get SICK?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:21:38 -0500

Ready to get SICK?

Poor Doc- He does not have a clue......Just regurgitating the inaccurate information that
he was told.

"By utilizing Nextel wireless technology, we are able to send critical data instantly to a
secure web site that in turn provides on-scene emergency managers, dispatchers, and
hospitals immediate access to accurate information," noted Dr. Jeff Lowell, Chief of the
St. Louis MMRS. "EPTS provides an advanced level of communication between the scene and
treatment facilities that is not in place anywhere else in the country."

Rudy's Point Man had to chime in of course.......

The Spin Masters could not even get Richard Sheirer's former title correct........

He was "Director of the Mayor's Office of Emergency Management"

Former New York City Emergency Services Director Richard Sheirer said today, "On September
11, 2001, we learned the true importance of interoperable communications. It was a chaotic
scene at Ground Zero, but if it weren't for Nextel providing us with interoperable
communications tools, it might have been worse."

He should add- How was that Morggie? Do you have the check for Rudy & I ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Public Safety Leaders Address Critical Homeland Security Communications Needs
Tuesday February 25, 2:03 pm ET

- Former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director and Former New York City Emergency
Services Director Stress the Need for Interoperable Communications for First Responders -

ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 25, 2003-- - St. Louis Metropolitan Medical Response
System Highlighted as
Model for Interoperability -

Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today hosted a conference devoted to
interoperable communications at the Adam's Mark Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri.

This event highlighted the pressing advanced communications needs facing police, fire and
other public safety and health officials. The event attracted approximately 200 public
safety and public health officials from the greater St. Louis area.
The conference showcased interoperability - the idea that all public safety officials must
have the ability to connect with one another through reliable and secure communications
regardless of jurisdiction or department.

Speakers included Tim Daniel, director for the Missouri Office of Homeland Security; James
Lee Witt, former Federal Emergency Management Agency director; Richard Sheirer, former New
York City Emergency Services director; Dr. Jeff Lowell, chief of the St. Louis
Metropolitan Medical Response System; and Morgan O'Brien, Nextel vice chairman.
Locally, Nextel has teamed with the St. Louis Metropolitan Medical Response System (MMRS)
in developing a regional mass casualty incident response system - the Emergency Patient
Tracking System (EPTS) - to track injured persons from the field to area hospitals.

This first-of-its-kind state-of-the-art wireless triage system integrates critical
communications among area hospitals, health departments, local police and fire
departments, Missouri National Guard and Missouri State Emergency Management Agency in
times of need.

"By utilizing Nextel wireless technology, we are able to send critical data instantly to a
secure website that in turn provides on-scene emergency managers, dispatchers, and
hospitals immediate access to accurate information," noted Dr. Jeff Lowell, Chief of the
St. Louis MMRS. "EPTS provides an advanced level of communication between the scene and
treatment facilities that is not in place anywhere else in the country."

The conference's keynote speaker was Director for the Missouri Office of Homeland
Security, Tim Daniel. "Establishing reliable and secure communications at the incident
scene and providing for situational awareness between local, state and federal partners to
the response is our priority," said Daniel.

James Lee Witt, president of James Lee Witt Associates and former director of the Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), stressed that interoperable communications is
essential for today's public health and safety professionals. "From the communications
failure during the Oklahoma City bombing to something as simple as the recent snowstorm in
the Northeast, our nation's first responders need interoperable communications. These
tools are fundamental to keeping the American people safe."

Former New York City Emergency Services Director Richard Sheirer said today, "On September
11, 2001, we learned the true importance of interoperable communications. It was a chaotic
scene at Ground Zero, but if it weren't for Nextel providing us with interoperable
communications tools, it might have been worse."

Sheirer also pointed out the increased frequency of situations that demand
interoperability. "It seems that now, every major crisis-response effort that we see is
multi-jurisdictional and multi-functional," said Sheirer, who is now a senior vice
president with Giuliani Partners, LLC. "Can you imagine trying to investigate the sniper
case in Maryland without interoperable communications?"

Nextel Communications is hosting a series of interoperability conferences around the
country that are designed to educate consumers, government and public safety officials
about the capabilities of and demand for interoperability.
In welcoming guests to the conference, Nextel Vice Chairman Morgan O'Brien said, "It is a
true honor to have those who have been on the front lines with us here to reinforce and
highlight our commitment to reliable, secure, and interoperable communications tools."
About Nextel Communications
Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading provider
of fully-integrated wireless voice and data communications services including Direct
Connect®- the long-range digital walkie-talkie feature; all-digital cellular service;
Nextel Online® wireless data solutions; and two-way messaging.
Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. have built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network covering 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets. Nextel and Nextel Partners' wireless
voice and packet data communications services are available in areas of the U.S. where
approximately 240 million people live or work.
About EPTS
The EPTS is a joint effort by the St. Louis MMRS, Raytheon, The Miller Group, LaserBand
and Nextel Communications.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030225/255575_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:21:19 -0500

If Nextel loses their Push to talk advantage, and the 3G networks get rolled
out, how will Nextel compete?

If they do not get the contiguous spectrum they seek, are they doomed?

What once looked like an FCC that rubber stamped the boss's wishes now
appears to be willing to vote in descent. Will this affect the Nextel/APCO
spectrum give away plan?

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory
http://twowayradiodirectory.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:30:11 -0500

It's no longer an "If" but a "When". When they lose it the will be forced to compete on
price and speed. With an ARPU of $69.00 they will be one of the least competitive
carriers. The CDMA carriers will  surpass nextel's data speeds by years end. The industry
fails to realize the "High Speed" number Nextel is throwing around only applies to their
im1000 data card.
Most handsets still Dragggggssss along at 19.2kbps  (38 kbps if you are lucky on a rare
occasion to capture 2 time slots).

While everyone is doubting the PTT activities of other carriers they are making
significant progress. I have personally seen, touched, held and used one carrier's CDMA
based PTT equipped handsets. The handset utilizes an auxiliary button on the side that
defined in the radios flash (Previously shown here). A secondary method will utilize a
standard key pad.

The latency issue has been resolved. Using Nextel's and the CDMA PTT handset solution side
by side you will notice the increased clarity on the CDMA unit. Some of the extra Bells &
Whistles are:

* VOX on PTT

* Ability to Link PTT caller to jpg image.

* Ability to select Alert Tone via menu (or download your own)

* 260 Hrs standby time. (I could not kill the battery using just PTT)

* Still Camera adapter (will be integrated on next models).

* $300 price point (sure beats the $500 roll out price of the i95 now down to $199)

If they do not get the spectrum the stock will drop and the analysts will downgrade the
stock again.
Nextel has bribed many organizations with cash and influence. I predict many under the
table deals will fall apart if the
deal does not go through. A special a team of engineers has been assembled in S-Burg to
address equipment migration issues. There Jobs are at risk.

As far as APCO goes I would not be surprised if the cash from Nextel to the Public Safety
Foundation of America (PFSA) dried up as a result of the fall out.