Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC TO HOST TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION OF NEW ULTRA-WIDEBAND DEVICES

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:25:01 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
February 11, 2003    Lisa Gaisford (202) 418-7280

FCC TO HOST TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION OF NEW ULTRA-WIDEBAND DEVICES WITH APPLICATIONS FOR
PUBLIC SAFETY, BUSINESSES, AND CONSUMERS

The FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) will sponsor several technology
demonstrations of Ultra-wideband devices on February 13, 2003.  FCC Senior Staff will also
be available to the media at the beginning of the event to address regulatory actions
taken by the Commission in this area. The demo and media availability will begin at 9:30
a.m. in the Commission Meeting Room (TW-C305). The demo will be open to the public from
9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.  A brief description of the demonstrations is provided below.

XtremeSpectrum  (Contact: Diane Orr at 408-377-0308)

Communications System: This system demonstrates a wireless broadcast of two high
definition television (HDTV) streams to two separate large screen displays using
XtremeSpectrum's ultra-wideband chipset Trinity.  The multiple streams of video offer true
"wire-like" performance while co-existing with an 802.11b/a system, a microwave oven, a
cellular/PCS phone and a cordless phone-all in simultaneous operation during this
demonstration.

Time Domain Corporation (Contact: Beth Boone 256-428-6423)

 Thru-Wall Imaging System: Time Domain is demonstrating the capabilities of RadarVision,
its ultra wideband radar device that enables users to detect the movement of people behind
walls.  This hand-held unit, which incorporates Time Domain's PulsON chipset technology,
is lightweight and easy to operate, and provides a new level of situational intelligence
and awareness for law enforcement and public safety personnel.  Time Domain is also
previewing its next generation ultra wideband chipset, the PulsON 300, which will be
incorporated into consumer electronics and personal computing products to provide very
high bandwidth communications capabilities for short-range personal area networking (PAN)
applications.

Mala GeoScience (Contact: Matthew J. Wolf at 843-852-5021)

 Ground Penetrating Radar System:  The Easy Locator will be available for a “hands on”
demonstration to the FCC as well as presentations of a diverse line of other GPR
products.  The Easy Locator system has a dedicated “fish finder” type truly sunlight
readable monitor that is field rugged and easy to handle in the field. GPR systems like
the Easy Locator can accurately locate and determine depths to utilities of many types
including pipes, cables, conduit, and duct banks in soils favorable to the GPR method.

Geophysical Survey Systems, Inc. (Contacts: Dennis Johnson or Ben Cleary at 603-893-1109)

 Utility Detection System:  A demonstration of a GPR system used for detecting utilities
(metal or plastic) in real time. An added feature provides 3-D images of underground
pipes, voids, etc.

 Concrete Inspection System: A demonstration of a GPR system with high resolution used for
detecting objects in concrete in real time. An added feature provides 3-D images of rebar,
pipes (metal or plastic), voids, etc.

 Highway Inspection System: This highway system is installed in a van parked outside the
building. The highway system is able to operate at 60 mph to measure concrete and asphalt
thickness, base and sub-base thickness and to detect pipes and voids.

Sensors & Software Inc. (Contact: Dr. Peter Annan 905-624-8909)

 Ground Penetrating Radar: High resolution subsurface imaging will be demonstrated with
the Nogginplus 500 SmartCart.

Multispectral Solutions, Inc. (Contact: Robert Mulloy at 301-528-1745)

Radar System:  Originally developed as a collision avoidance sensor for DARPA’s Micro Air
Vehicle program, initial targeted markets include Homeland Defense, law enforcement, fire
and emergency rescue and manufacturers’ licensee applications.

Audio System:  Developed for robust performance in severe multipath (an advantage of UWB
technology for in-building and in-vehicle applications), this digital wireless audio
system is designed for CD-quality, wireless speaker and headphone applications.

Communications System:  This wireless UWB intercommunications system has been developed
for the U.S. Navy to reduce accidents and injuries by eliminating on-board cabling, thus
providing flight crews with unrestricted movement throughout the aircraft cabin.

Precision Location System:  An Ultra-wideband system for asset location and tracking will
be demonstrated.  Utilizing short pulse technology in the upper microwave bands (above 6
GHz), the system will demonstrate the ability to determine precision position using
micropowered tags having a 5 year battery life.

 Tagging System:  Developed for the U.S. Department of Transportation, this UWB tagging
system was originally designed to keep problem (e.g., suspended or revoked license)
drivers off the road.  The tag will demonstrate the ability to send data and imagery from
a low power tag to a remote receiver for vehicle and personnel identification.

- FCC -
 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-231137A1.doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/