Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 4.9 GHz & Public Safety

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:44:59 -0500

February 6, 2003
Mr. Herbert Zeiler
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
Re: WT Docket 00-32

Dear Mr. Zeiler:

On January 15, Motorola met with you and other members of the Wireless Bureau staff to
present our technical and service rule recommendations for use of the 4.9 GHz Public
Safety
band. Based on further review, we believe it is appropriate to slightly modify our
technical
recommendations and are providing a revised version of the draft rules presented at the
January
15 meeting.

The attached update of these recommendations includes changes to the emission mask
definition,
the power control range, and the measurement methods for both the peak power of the
transmitter and the emission mask. The revised emission mask scales to transmit power
level,
allowing greater use of the spectrum at incident scenes where a moderate to large number
of first
responders are involved. As addressed in previous comments in this proceeding, Public
Safety
users may find it useful to deploy low power 4.9 GHz “Personal Area Network (PAN)” devices

to relay biometric data, video information, etc. to incident scene commanders. Such
devices are
likely to be lower in power but more concentrated than Fixed Hot spots or Vehicular Area
Networks (VANs). The modified mask recommendations attached are designed to allow greater
adjacent channel re-use in such situations where there may be a multitude of such devices
which
would all need to be accommodated in the Public Safety 4.9 GHz spectrum. It is especially
important with Broadband communications to help minimize adjacent channel spillover so the

spectrum can support as many Public Safety users a possible at an incident scene,
consistent with
operational requirements.

Pursuant to the Commission’s Rules, one copy of this notice is being filed electronically
with the
Secretary of the Commission. If you have any questions or need additional information
please
contact the undersigned at (202) 371-6953.
Sincerely,

/s/ Steve B. Sharkey A
Steve B. Sharkey
Director, Spectrum and Standards Strategy
Cc: Genevieve Augustin
Guy Benson
Jeanne Kowalski
Timothy Maguire
Gererdo Mejia
Scott Stone

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6513407762

Subpart Y – Regulations Governing the Licensing and Use of Frequencies in the 4940-4990
MHz Public Safety Band

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6513407763

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/