Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mayor keeping track of city on police radio

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:55:57 -0400

Mayor keeping track of city on police radio

By FRANK BOYETT, Gleaner staff
April 25, 2003

Mayor Henry Lackey, who has a lot of experience on the radio,
hasn't been talking much on the police radio that was recently
installed in his private van at city expense.

But he said he's been listening a lot.

The radio was installed by the city in mid-March, he said. "I think
I've only talked on the thing twice, and one of those was a radio
check."

The radio allows him to communicate on all radio frequencies
used by city workers -- including the Henderson Police
Department.

Police Chief Ed Brady confirmed that Lackey has not been talking
very much on his new radio.

"I've only heard him one time," Brady said. "He reported a
four-vehicle injury accident on Green Street.

"For him to have a radio the police chief has to write a letter.
That's for him to carry in his vehicle in case he gets stopped in
another community. Normally it would be illegal for him to have.
But I don't consider the mayor to be a civilian. He's an elected
official.

"There are other cities where the elected officials have (radios) in
their vehicles. I don't know the purpose. This isn't unique. It is
unusual, but it isn't unique."

It also appears to run counter to the philosophy behind the city
manager form of government, which Henderson has had for the
past four decades. Under that form of government, the city
manager has operational control over all aspects of city
government except for the city electric and water utilties. The
Henderson City Commission sets city policy -- and technically has
no power outside the commission meetings -- and the mayor is
merely the presiding officer of the commission.

Lackey is the first mayor to have such a radio since the city
manager form of government took effect at the first of 1966. He
said the radio is needed to keep abreast of city government.

"I think, if as mayor I'm going to be criticized for certain aspects
of the city, I need to be on top of what's happening," he said. "I
want to know what's going on. I think the taxpayers expect me
to.

"I don't see how anybody could be critical of that. I ran that by
all the city commissioners and they thought it was a good idea."

The radio is in the WSON van that Lackey drives as owner of the
radio station and was specially ordered for him.

"He had a particular radio he wanted, and it was not the type of
radio we had," Brady said.

City Manager Jeff Broughton said it is a 40-watt Motorola that
cost $652.

"When Henry came in (office) he requested that a radio be
provided to him, to monitor operations," Broughton said. "Chief
Brady and I talked about it. There was no legal reason why it
should be denied, so we honored his request and one was
provided."

Lackey said he has urged the city manager to also get such a
radio. At least one former city manager, current Commissioner
Russell Sights, had a two-way radio, but it was in a city-owned
vehicle.

"Russell was on it on a very limited basis," Brady said. "I never
heard him chatting on the radio or doing daily routine stuff. If
there was a manhole cover that was misplaced he might call
Public Works and call for a barrel to be placed there."

Brady also noted that he gave Lackey some guidelines on how to
use the radio, primarily that he should broadcast only in case of
an emergency.

"On routine information he should use his cell phone and dial into
the dispatch center just like any other citizen," Brady said.

http://www.myinky.com/ecp/gleaner_news/article/0,1626,ECP_4476_1913961,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/