Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Walkie-talkie computer will use Microsoft's VoIP

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 03:50:24 -0400

Walkie-talkie computer will use Microsoft's VoIP
By Charles J. Murray, EE Times
Apr 11, 2003 (9:14 AM)

URL: http://www.commsdesign.com/story/OEG20030411S0039

PARK RIDGE, Ill. — Symbol Technologies Inc.(Holtsville, N.Y.)
said it will use the upcoming Windows CE.NET 4.2 core for future 
releases of its voice-over-IP (VoIP) products, including
a walkie-talkie-like mobile data terminal due
out later this year.

Symbol, a maker of mobile computing devices, is designing a 
data collection terminal that will incorporate a walkie-talkie 
that uses VoIP, instead of conventional RF-based walkie-talkie 
technology. The VoIP-based walkie-talkie would enable users to
broadcast messages and talk with co-workers across sprawling 
warehouses or retail environments.

Symbol engineers claim they are cutting costs and boosting performance
by using VoIP for the walkie-talkie.

"To collapse this down to a single converged device is not only 
a productivity aid, it's a way of controlling costs,"said Richard
 Watson, director of telephony product marketing for Symbol
Technologies (San Jose, Calif.).

Watson said conventional walkie-talkie technology would boost bulk
and add more components to the mobile computing device. The conventional
technology also offers limited numbers of channels that must be dialed in
manually, whereas the new device will offer over 250 "virtual channels."

The new device will employ a new Windows CE.NET-based VoIP solution
announced by Microsoft Corp. (Redmond, Wash.) on April 2. The Windows 
solution, which integrates voice communications into a variety of 
IP-based client devices,  includes a telephony user interface, 
VoIP application interface layer and enterprise infrastructure
integration services.

Microsoft said a large swath of device and equipment manufacturers are
developing VoIP devices using CE.NET, including Symbol, BCM Computers 
Co. Ltd., Casio Computer Co. Ltd.,Hitachi Ltd., NEC Infrontia Corp.,
Samsung Electronics and Tatung Co.

The company is also working with such silicon vendors as Advanced 
Micro Devices Inc., ARM Ltd., Broadcom Corp., Conexant Systems Inc.,
Intel Corp., MIPS Technologies, Inc. andTexas Instruments on
optimization of CPUs for VoIP devices running CE.NET.

Microsoft said that by forging the relationships with silicon
vendors,it has simplified and shortened the design
process for OEM engineers.

"It comes down to a question of how much of this work you want to do
yourself," said Scott Horn, Microsoft's director of marketing for 
the Embedded and Appliance Platform Group. "OEM engineers could 
work with silicon providers themselves, but we've already eliminated
that step for them."

Symbol plans to roll out a VoIP walkie-talkie device during this
quarter, and another device, which will leverage Microsoft's 
VoIP solution and its CE.NET 4.2 operating system, later
this year.

"Once there's a wireless LAN infrastructure in place, there's a lot of
benefit to being able to converge voice and
data into a single device," Watson said.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/