Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Gestapo Tactics In Boston- Boston Introduces Mobile Phone Ban

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:10:30 -0500

Confiscate??? Sounds like Gestapo Tactics
Someone Bumped their head on this one........

"The new rule would allow employees at such venues to confiscate wireless phones, pagers
and even PDAs if the devices make noise."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston Introduces Mobile Phone Ban

Boston Councilor John Tobin proposed a ban on wireless phones at places of
public performance. The new rule would allow employees at such venues to
confiscate wireless phones, pagers and even PDAs if the devices make noise.
Devices would eventually be returned, but patrons could face fines of up to $50.
Boston's mayor said yesterday that the idea has ''a lot of merit.'' The musical
director at the Boston Lyric Opera and a theater director there called the
measure "Draconian." The wireless industry, represented by CTIA, agreed. New
York City has already passed a similar ban. (Source: Boston
Globe, Associated Press)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Council Wants To Ban Cell Phones In Movies, Museums
Proponents Say Effort Goes Too Far

POSTED: 10:44 a.m. EST April 3, 2003
UPDATED: 10:45 a.m. EST April 3, 2003

BOSTON -- A group of Boston city councilors wants to outlaw cell phones in all "places of
public performance," including museums, theaters, movie houses and comedy shows.

"This is an increasing problem," Councilor John Tobin, who introduced a proposed ban at
Wednesday's council meeting, said of ringing cell phones, pagers and other electronic
devices.
"This will put the law in the hands of theater managers and owners."

However, Boston Lyric Opera conductor Stephen Lord said, "We don't need another law. We
need people to be reminded in a better way.

"I really believe that theaters are wimping out. Before we make the ushers policemen, we
should make them tougher hall monitors," said Lord, musical director for the opera for 12
years and conductor this week of Puccini's "La Rondine" at the Shubert Theatre.

Travis Larson, a spokesman for the Washington-based Cellular Telecommunications and
Internet Association, said efforts in Boston and elsewhere to regulate cell phone use
sometimes go too far.

"Coughing and unwrapping throat lozenges is disruptive, too, but it's not illegal," he
said.

Larson, who noted that the number of wireless customers in the United States broke the 100

million mark only three years ago, said putting more laws on the books in an attempt to
solve
the problem only will result in bloated bureaucracy with little hope of enforceability.

Under the proposed Boston ordinance, any employee would be authorized to confiscate cell
phones, pagers, even Palm Pilots when their electronic chirps and beeps go off during a
performance. Violators would get their phones back at the end of the show, but could face
a
$50 fine for each offense. New York City passed a similar ban last month.

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who along with the council would have to approve the ban,
said the idea has "a lot of merit."

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2087740/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/