Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Martin County Sheriff Head Radio Tech Pleads Guilty To Radio Theft

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:14:20 -0400

Hmmmm???? I wonder what else is going on in Martin County?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

County Sheriff Head Radio Tech Pleads Guilty To Radio Theft
Ex-sheriff's employee pleads no contest

By Jill Taylor, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 9, 2003

STUART -- The former head of the Martin County Sheriff's Office radio
maintenance department pleaded no contest to grand theft and was sentenced
to probation in Martin Circuit Court Tuesday.

Arnold DeJesus, 47, of Port St. Lucie, said he is not guilty of the charges, but
the toll on his family and his finances was too much to continue challenging the
year-old case.

"I just couldn't take it anymore," DeJesus said after the court hearing. "It's
been the greatest law enforcement experience of my life. I know both sides
now."

Sheriff's investigators said an audit of DeJesus' department could not account
for $7,031 in radio and computer equipment, and he was charged with using
the department's account to buy items for his personal computer.

"He was in a position of public trust," said prosecutor Ted Roodhof in arguing
that DeJesus officially be found guilty of the charge.

Circuit Judge Robert Makemson decided to withhold any judgment of guilt,
allowing DeJesus to pursue other jobs with law enforcement or security
companies working on radio systems.

Defense attorney Lance Richard said there were documents to prove many of
the items the sheriff's office lists as stolen were actually still in use at the
department or had been thrown away as ruined or outdated.

And DeJesus said some of the items were his own property, bought with his
personal credit card, but for convenience's sake were delivered to the sheriff's
office rather than his home.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Sgt. Jenell Atlas said DeJesus had been warned about
keeping track of equipment and not making unauthorized purchases and was
fired after an audit showed discrepancies.

"Mr. DeJesus violated specific policy and direct orders from his superiors.
These policy violations helped to discover the thefts," she said.

DeJesus said he may be moving to the Orlando area but will have good
memories of most of his 17 years with the sheriff's office.

"I think a lot of this came about from a lot of misunderstanding," he said. "But I
have to move on."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/martin_stlucie_e339c991041830020086.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:08:07 -0000

It was a suprise to those of us that know Arnold and work in the SE 
Forida area.  

> Hmmmm???? I wonder what else is going on in Martin County?
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesd
ay/martin_stlucie_e339c991041830020086.html

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:24:27 -0400

So I have heard......................

Unfortunately this has opened up a can of worms others and now being looked at outside the
department.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG