Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Passenger-Carrying Spaceship Makes Desert Debut

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:01:23 -0400

Passenger-Carrying Spaceship Makes Desert Debut

Mon Apr 21, 8:44 AM ET

By Leonard David
Senior Space Writer, SPACE.com

story first posted 1 p.m., EDT, April 18, 2003

MOJAVE, Calif. -- What has been billed as the "First Private Manned
Space Program" and a new, never-seen spaceship, was unveiled today by
noted design wizard Burt Rutan and his company, Scaled Composites, Inc.

Aggressive work on a passenger-carrying sub-orbital craft has been active
and hidden from public view for two years.

Labeled as the SpaceShipOne Project, the unveiling took place here about
80 miles north of Los Angeles before a large crowd of journalists and invited
guests.

The company plans to use the craft to compete for the X Prize, a $10 million
cash prize that will be awarded to the first team
that successfully launches three people to an altitude of 62.5 miles (100
kilometers) returns the safely to Earth and then repeat that feat with the
same vehicle within two weeks

In a lengthy briefing for the media, Rutan declined to answer a number of
questions about technical specifications of the spacecraft, including its
weight. SpaceShipOne will be air launched from a twin turbojet research
aircraft with an 82-foot wingspan that was developed by Scaled Composites.
The first flight of that aircraft, called the White Knight, took place on Aug. 1,
2002.

Rutan said he could not estimate when he could make the first launch
attempt. He did say that before going for the X Prize qualifying altitude there
will several flight tests that begin with gradual expansion of the flight
envelope, captive carry and drop tests.

High-altitude launch

Over the last few years, considerable effort has been secretly underway at
the company's desert site. Experts at Scaled Composites are confident
they've designed a system that supports suborbital flight - drawing from
earlier aircraft design work, particularly the high-altitude Proteus vehicle.

From behind closed hangar doors their stealthy product was rolled out
today.

"The event is not about dreams, predictions or mockups," Rutan explained
in a pre-debut statement. "We will show actual flight hardware: an aircraft for
high-altitude airborne launch, a flight-ready manned spaceship, a new,
ground-tested rocket propulsion system and much more. This is not just the
development of another research aircraft, but a complete manned space
program with all its support elements," he said.

Rutan makes it clear that the unveiling is not a marketing event.

"We are not seeking funding and are not selling anything. We are in the
middle of an important research program…to see if manned space access
can be done by other than the expensive government programs," Rutan
explained.

Rutan said that after today, plans call for his group to go "back into hiding,"
to complete the flight tests and conduct the space flights.

Point and shoot

While details of the project are being revealed today, in past years some
aspects of the direction Rutan and his fellow rocketeers were headed were
openly discussed.

Using a derivative of Proteus, space-launch operations are made possible.
By changing out aircraft sections and configuring the vehicle to carry large
external payloads, both suborbital and orbital booster operations could be
carried out.

As example, in October of 2000, the Proteus set several world records
for performance in its weight class, one being flight up to 62,786 feet
toting a 2,200-pound (1,000-kilogram) payload.

Vehicles launched from Proteus could take advantage of a "point and
shoot" capability. This requires the carrier aircraft to be positioned to a
select attitude -- including vertical for suborbital sounding rockets and
astronaut flights -- before booster separation and ignition.

According to earlier thinking, this approach would allow lofting a
three-person single-stage fully reusable spaceship up to 112 miles (180
kilometers), giving those onboard some five minutes of microgravity. In
addition, two-stage expendable boosters could be lobbed skyward from
the aircraft, placing micro-satellite payloads of up to 80 pounds (36
kilograms) into low Earth orbit.

Initially, operating cost goals for the Proteus system, including booster,
were pegged at less than less than $50,000 per seat for astronauts and
$500,000 per launch for micro-satellites.

Hybrid rocket propulsion

Scaled Composites has been working with SpaceDev of Poway,
California to evaluate use of a hybrid rocket propulsion system for the
SpaceShipOne program.

Jim Benson, founding chairman and chief executive of SpaceDev, told
SPACE.com that hybrid rocket propulsion is a safe and low-cost
capability. Work on an advanced hybrid rocket motor has resulted in
successful test firings, he said.

Benson said the company's motor design is thought to be the largest of its
type in the world. It uses clean and inexpensive propellants, namely
Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas) and HTPB (tire rubber).

For sub-orbital manned vehicles, Benson said, hybrid is ideal, not only
for reaching the desired altitude, but due to propulsion system safety
features. They far outweigh the higher performance of dangerous liquid or
solid rocket motors, he said, which, unlike hybrids, can explode.

Hybrid rockets are non-explosive, and their responsiveness, affordability
and simplicity of operation make them ideal for high-reliability manned or
unmanned, orbital or sub-orbital applications, Benson said.

Eyes on the prize

One clear ambition of Rutan is to snag the X Prize purse of $10 million.
The competition is patterned from the more than 100 aviation prizes
offered in the early 20th Century. Those purses kick-started today's
$300 billion-dollar commercial air transport industry.

The most significant of these prizes was the Orteig Prize, won by Charles
Lindbergh for his 1927 flight from New York to Paris.

The goal of the St. Louis, Missouri-based X Prize Foundation is to make
space travel frequent and affordable for the general public.

Rutan would not disclose the cost of the project, but said it would
exceed the $10 million award for the winner of the X-Prize.
Rutan said the development program began three and half years ago.
With a few exceptions, he added, all of the SpaceShipOne hardware
unveiled at the rollout has been tested for use in space. One exception is
the rocket's actual flight nozzle.

Based on an earlier statement, Rutan has clearly been keeping his eyes
on the prize, not for monetary reasons, but for its power to inspire.

"It would not be an understatement to say that the X Prize has already
had an effect on me. I have never been as creative as I have been in the
past few months," Rutan explains on the X Prize web site.

"The X Prize competition, more than anything else on this Earth, has the
ability to help make private spaceflight and space tourism a reality. By
creating the X Prize, the St. Louis leaders have taken an important page
from aviation history and created an opportunity for a modern day Orteig
to step forward and open the door to a whole new industry," Rutan said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20030421/sc_space/passenger_carrying_spaceship_makes_desert_debut

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/