Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC To Review Tower Construction Rules

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:20:49 -0400

FCC To Review Tower Construction Rules

BY MARK ROCKWELL
APRIL 10, 2003
NEWS@2 DIRECT

WASHINGTON -- An FCC official said yesterday the agency would take a close look
at rules concerning tower construction and migratory birds.
A senior legal official from the commission told  PCIA's tower training seminar
here that the FCC will examine the complex set of environmental and other rules
governing the construction of towers. Bryan Tramont, senior legal advisor to FCC
Chairman Michael Powell, said the FCC would focus on substantive scientific
evidence of avian mortality at tower sites, mainly from information from the
U.S.  Fish and Wildlife Service and the Environmental Protection Agency.

The FCC is under legal fire from wildlife and nature conservation groups to
retroactively review all wireless communications tower structures in thousands
of sites along, among other places, the Gulf Coast. The Friends of the Earth and
the American Bird Conservancy filed a challenge to the FCC's tower construction
rules in the U.S. Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia saying the FCC's
rules were resulting in the deaths of migratory birds attracted to the towers.
The groups want a review of all environmental impact statements, as well as a
halt of further construction approvals from the agency.

'This industry should be encouraged that the FCC is willing to work with us to
ensure that regulatory burdens do not hinder the deployment of critical wireless

networks,' says Jay Kitchen, PCIA president and chief executive

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=117038&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/