Subject: [mobile-ip] Seeking information on IPv6

From: "Mamta Debnath" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 04:30:07 -0400

Hi!
I have 2 questions w.r.t IPv6.

1)When the Mobile node changes location, does it inform the HA of his change in
location or does it inform only the Correspondent node?

2)If there are multiple access points(multiple base stations in case of a MN
currently sitting in overlapping cells), which base station does it choose? Is
it random? If not, what is the rule?

Please do reply,
Thanks and regards,
Mamta
--

---

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:02:56 -0700

> location or does it inform only the Correspondent node?

It first needs to update the HA of its new care-of address. Then, it needs
to update the bindings it has created in the correspondent nodes it is
communicating with to have the new care-of address.

> it random? If not, what is the rule?

Access points are at L2 and below (i.e. data-link layer and MAC layer under
IP). In many cases, the same IPv6 router is reachable through those
different access points. Mobile IPv6 operates at L3, with the exception of
L2 triggers that make it possible for L2 to communicate link and subnet
movement events to L3.

So, the selection of base station is independent of Mobile IPv6, it occurs
underneath L3.

Thanks.
- Ed Remmell
Elmic Systems, USA