Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Article for the announcement [[email-masked]]]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:10:12 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ruben I Safir <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nycwireless] Fwd: [hangout] Article for the announcement 

On 2003.04.09 15:49 Ruben I Safir wrote:

New Free Software Tech Center in Brooklyn

NYLXS: New Yorks businest Free Software Non-profit, is at it again. This
April they are opening the areas first Free Software Tech and Education
Center in Brooklyn NY. In a huge facility on one of New Yorks largest
business districts, the NYLXS Free Software Education Center and
Internet Cafe is opening at Kings Games, a traditional computer gaming
Center which caters to players of Magic the Card Game.

A collaberative effort between Alex Shvartsman
http://66.150.119.242/cgi-bin/strategy/article.cgi?id=3980, and Ruben
Safir, this is something NYLXS has been trying to pull off for manyt
months.

Alex and Ruben met a few months ago, when Kings Games opened up and made
a confortable venue for working when he needed a change in scenerary
from his home office. Alex and Ruben quickly grew a friendship, and
before long, Kings Games was planning their first installfest in their
sizable space. A meeting of NY Fair Use was held there. And then only
good stuff started to happen.

Kings Games had a huge space on the second floor over looking Kings
Highway. A few months back, the building the gaming center was in was
brought by a bank. The bank didn't want a tenent above them, so they
offered Alex and his partners a new space, built to the specification.
Alex and Ruben were already discussing the posibility of creating an
education facility in the space. But the purchase by the bank and the
subsequent move opened up the possibilities.

Alex and Ruben planned the entire basement, easily over 80 feet by 50
feet in length, to be easily adapatable for an Free Software educational
facility and internet cafe. It was largely designed to their
specification. Life was looking good for both NYLXS, and Kings Games.

Next, the NYLXS board was informed of the plans. The Board, and the
President, Marco Scoffier, agreed to invent in 6 new computers, and to
give technical support to Kings Games. A hardware recycling program has
been started, and plans for both a subsidized and non-subsidized
educational program is beginning.

Ruben Safir said, "This is the best oppurtunity yet for the New York
City Free Software Community to really stretch it's wings and provide
unprecedented services for the community at large. Not only will it give
people a chance to hangout and collaberate, but it also has serious long
term possibilities as an incubator for Free Software Projects and
businesses. The room is huge, and completely wired. The Management at
Kings Games is the best. Alex is about the fairest minded individual
I've ever worked with. NYLXS members will be annpouncing hours when our
experts and members will be stationed in the facility to help new users
and others with Free Software issues and development. Overall, this is
the most exciting thing to come out of the New York City Free Software
community in a long time. It is going to be our ultimate asset"

Alex is also excited about the prospects for the project. Alex said, "We
are really happy to establish a hackers community here in Brooklyn (the
white hat hackers). The guys from NYLXS have amazing energy and
enthusiasm, and only good things come from that".

Initially, computer access is to be rented by the hour at $5 an hour for
non-NYLXS voting members. You can also bring your own laptop computer in
and plug into the network. The first open house meeting for this will be
on Monday, April 21st, and scheduling for support personel is being done
now. If interested in becoming involved, contact Marco Scoffier at
[email-masked], or any other member of NYLXS (http://www.nylxs.com).

____________________________
NYLXS: New Yorker Free Software Users Scene
Fair Use -
because it's either fair use or useless....
NYLXS is a trademark of NYLXS, Inc
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/