Subject: [NEXTEL-1] BOY'S PHONE DEFLECTS BULLET

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:44:49 -0400

BOY'S PHONE DEFLECTS BULLET

Author(s):    C. Kalimah Redd, Globe Correspondent Date: April 11,
2003 Page: B2 Section: Metro/Region

A 15-year-old youth was shot outside the Back Bay T station yesterday
morning but escaped more serious injury in part because a cellphone
attached to his waist band deflected one of the bullets, authorities said.
Police arrested a 17-year-old suspect, who had fled the scene to a nearby
day-care center where he tried to ditch his jacket and a gun.

Boston police arrested Alan Lewis of South Boston on the first floor of the
Ellis Memorial Day-care Center at Chandler and Berkeley streets. None of
the 50 children at the center, ages 3 to 5, were near the suspect at any
time, said the center's chief executive officer. Lewis was scheduled to be
arraigned today in Boston Municipal Court on charges of assault with intent
to murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of
ammunition, trespassing, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a
dwelling.

Police said the victim, whose name was not released because of his age,
was hospitalized. His injury, a gunshot wound above the hip, was not
considered life-threatening, authorities said.

MBTA Police Chief Joseph Carter said the victim, another unidentified
teenager, and the suspect were arguing on the corner of Clarendon Street
and Columbus Avenue, near the T station, about 9:30 a.m. The argument
escalated and Lewis pulled out a gun and shot at the two teenagers at least
three times, he said.

A bullet ricocheted off a brick wall behind the boys, striking a parked car.
A second struck the victim, and the third hit his cellphone, police said.

Carter said the second teenager was not injured and he and the injured
youth walked into the subway station and asked the toll collector for help.
Carter said T police officers, who were patrolling the station, quickly
radioed a description of the suspect to Boston police.

Minutes later, an employee at the day-care center called police about a
suspicious person in the building and officers soon had Lewis in custody.

Leo Delaney, the center's CEO, said the suspect walked into the first floor
of the building where parents drop off their children and asked to used a
telephone.

"He was just walking around looking for something," said Delaney. "We
noticed that he was not supposed to be there, so we called the police."

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=0FA5B3A65F1E046F&p_docnum=2

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/