Subject: [NEXTEL-1] United Way Uses Wireless to Bridge Digital Divide in Philly

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:03:11 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: United Way Uses Wireless to Bridge Digital Divide in Philly

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.phtml?channel=14&id=44082

United Way Uses Wireless to Bridge Digital Divide
By Tod Newcombe - March 2003

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The United Way is building a wireless high-speed Internet 
network in a pair of poor Philadelphia neighborhoods, according to the 
Associated Press.

The project, to be completed in April, will create two Internet "hot spots" in 
West Philadelphia that will allow anyone with the right equipment to tap into a 
broadband connection. The service will cost between $5 and $10 per month, less 
than what many people pay to dial up the Internet on a modem.
Only people with a computer and a wireless Internet adapter card will be able 
to get the signals, but the United Way plans to start giving away machines to 
area families this summer, the AP reported.

"The long-term plan is to have a wireless coverage blanket in neighborhoods 
where people probably couldn't afford the service on their own," Stephen 
Rockwell, director of technology outreach for the United Way of Southeastern 
Pennsylvania, told the AP.

The plan's purpose, he said, is to give some of the state's poorest residents 
the same easy access to information about jobs, daycare, education and 
government services that people in the middle class have long enjoyed. Similar 
efforts to connect the poor to the Internet are underway nationwide.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/