Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola says State of Colorado now interoperable]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:31:09 -0400

Colorado Gets Interoperable System

By Wireless Week Staff
April 18, 2003

Clearing one of the biggest hurdles when it comes to homeland
security, public safety agencies in Colorado finally have an
interoperable radio system.

Motorola announced today that the State of Colorado accepted the
third phase of its communications system, making direct
communications possible among public safety agencies across the
state. The state system is one of the largest Project 25-compliant
systems so far in the United States, according to Motorola.

Project 25 is the functional and technical standard for public
safety digital systems that ensures interoperability among state,
local and federal radio users. For more than a decade, public
safety officials and the mobile radio industry worked on the
development of Project 25. In the '90s, Ericsson challenged the
standards process, arguing for its flavor of technology vs. what
it considered Motorola's version. Ericsson ended up selling its
private radio business in 2000.

According to authorities, Colorado's system already is proving its
worth. During last month's blizzard-the second largest snowstorm
ever in the Denver metro area-agencies were able to communicate
with one another in real time, as well as with medical personnel
and snow removal crews. Radio usage soared from 80,000
transmissions daily to more than 240,000 during the blizzard,
authorities report.

The completed 800 MHz digital Motorola ASTRO SmartZone trunked
radio system will include 120, four-channel sites and five
upgraded dispatch centers with Motorola dispatch consoles to
manage communications around the state. Motorola mobile and
portable radios also will be used.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=117522&verticalid=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=&text=colorado+gets+interoperable+system

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ZKLNcC/pEZFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/