Subject: [mobile-ip] revocation of multiple bindings in reg-revok

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:24:38 -0400

Kuntal Chowdhury <[email-masked]> writes:

> Steven M. Glass wrote:
> > 
> >     The original document was quite small, defining a single message 
> > which applied to a single binding, but it evolved into what we have now 
> > by combining it with another draft, 'resource release', wanted by 3GPP2, 
> > as well as adding [more] functionality required by the 3GPP2 folks such 
> > as e.g. support for revocation of multiple bindings via a single message 
> > ('M' bit).
> > 

> FYI, 3GPP2 decided not to use revocation of multiple bindings with a single 
> message (batch revocation). We did not see the need for the complexity involved 
> in batch revocation. Therefore I would like to clear the misunderstanding that 
> you may have about 3GPP2's requirement.

> -Kuntal

Based on this (and a private) email thread, it's not at all clear to
me that anyone plans on using the functionality of "batch
revocation". There seems to have been some confusion about whether
3GPP2 needs this functionality. They apparently do not.

In the spirit of: it's good to simplify protocols and specifications,
and that we should not be including options and features of little
value, I'd like to ask whether anyone plans on using this
functionality.

If there is no use for it, I'd strongly urge the WG to remove it. One
can always put it in a separate document and advance it later. As it
is, implementation of this feature is optional anyway.

Thoughts?

Thomas