Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Center Line activates new dispatch center

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:01:45 -0400

Macomb Daily photo by David Dalton

Center Line Public Safety Director Tim Woelkers shows off some of the city's new dispatch
equipment.

When it comes to answering emergency calls and dispatching police officers and
firefighters, the city of Center Line has entered the 21st century.

Officials have proudly unveiled a new public safety dispatch center that puts the city on
par, or above, emergency communications in other area communities.

"We were working with '70s technology," said Public Safety Director Tim Woelkers, showing
new computers, monitors, radio equipment and the 911 system. "This allows us to increase
our ability to serve the public at a higher level."

Effective this week, all communications switched to the new equipment, and be linked to
computers inside patrol cars.

One notable feature of the new system is mapping. Vehicle "locators" will enable
dispatchers to pinpoint the location of every police vehicle or fire truck. Before,
officers had to radio a dispatcher when arriving at a scene, for example.

Mapping would inform firefighters of broken fire hydrants or the presence of hazardous
materials at a fire scene -- before they arrive.

A key improvement the new dispatch center will provide is the sharing of information with
47 other departments in southeast Michigan using the digital technology of the CLEMIS
system.

Center Line will also become fully compliant in handling incoming calls dialed from
cellular phones, Woelkers said.

Inside the dispatch room at the Public Safety Department, the two tables and equipment
that comprise each of the two new dispatch stations can be raised or lowered to suit
whether a dispatcher chooses to stand or sit while working.

Center Line applied three years ago for a federal grant for the new communications system.
That application was rejected, and forced the city to shelve plans to purchase new radios
and other dispatch equipment.

Officials re-submitted the request last spring. Last summer, the U.S. Department of
Justice awarded a $145,830 grant through the COPS MORE program to fund police technology.

The City Council approved $48,637 in matching funds required under terms of the grant.

The city also allocated $97,000 in capital improvement funds, and used more than $11,000
in proceeds from 911/wireless service fees, to have more than $302,000 available for the
project.

The final price is expected to be approximately $297,000.

"The need was there. It was a matter of funding," said Woelkers, hired in July 2001. "It
became apparent to me when I became director that one of our largest areas of need was the
communications section."

Sgt. Jerry Genna said the on-board computers inside scout cars puts more information at
officers' fingertips. The system allows officers on the streets now can run license plates
on their own, and type messages to on-duty officers in other communities who are logged
onto their vehicle's computer.
 http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7730625&BRD=988&PAG=461&dept_id=141265&rfi=6