Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Homeland security money coming to northeast Georgia

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:30:12 -0400

Homeland security money coming to northeast Georgia
By Derreck Booth

GAINESVILLE - Homeland security money is
coming to Georgia, and a council in northeast
Georgia is working out a plan on how to spend
its portion.

The state is split up into eight Georgia
Emergency Management Agency areas. The government is using those
areas to split up money coming to the state. Hall and 23 other counties
make up Area 1, which is expected to get $764,000. The money is
assigned on a per capita basis. Area 1 is in the middle of the field with
the metro Atlanta area getting the biggest dollar amount.

Hall County fire Chief Mike Satterfield is Chairman of the All Hazard
Council for Area 1. The team of 25 people, ranging from firefighters to
elected officials, Tuesday identified 2 main areas of capabilities needed in
the area.

Satterfield said communication interoperability is one main need.

"Where one county can talk to another county, or one city can talk to
another city in regards to their public safety personnel," Satterfield said.

He said systems to make that possible cost between $200,000 and
$300,000 and that Area 1 might need two.

The second main need identified by the council is the ability to transport
hazardous materials response equipment and mass decontamination
equipment throughout the area.

"We would use those on a mutual aid basis in the event of a terrorism or
weapons of mass destruction event," Satterfield said.

The area has two operating HAZMAT teams. They are in Hall County
and Athens/Clarke County.

Satterfield said a budget request for the council is due May 23. After a
vote, the budget would be forwarded to the state before June 6 for
ratification. He said the state has promised a decision within 30 to 90
days after getting the council's spending plan.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfullstory.asp?ID=70908

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/