Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Let The Scam Begin!-NextNet Wireless and iMAX Ink Deal to Deliver Broadband Wireless Mobile Services in the Philippines

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:40:30 -0500

April 02, 2003 06:01 AM  EST, Eastern US

NextNet Wireless and iMAX Ink Deal to Deliver Broadband Wireless Mobile Services in the
Philippines

MINNEAPOLIS & MANILA, Philippines--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 2, 2003--
  Next Mobile (formerly Nextel Philippines) Will Manage iMAX Deployment Targeting 77
Million Residents Nationwide and 4 Million Filipino Americans Through Bundled Services

NextNet Wireless, the industry's most widely deployed provider of non line-of-sight (NLOS)
broadband wireless access systems, and Internet Service Provider iMAX Communications, Inc.
announced today that they have signed a contract to deliver NLOS broadband wireless
services in the Philippines using NextNet's Expedience(TM) system. iMAX will commence
broadband wireless service in the summer of 2003, targeting 5 million of the 12 million
business and residential subscribers in metropolitan Manila -- one of the most densely
populated cities in the world. Next Mobile will provide the required infrastructure and
key personnel to implement and manage the iMAX network build out. iMAX plans to partner
with local ISPs to expand broadband wireless service to cover 77 million Filipinos
nationwide, or 98% of the population of the Philippines.

"We see a huge potential for broadband wireless services in the Philippines," stated Mel
Velarde, President and CEO of iMAX and concurrent President and CEO of Next Mobile. "We
teamed up with NextNet because their OFDM-based NLOS system is the right platform for a
mobile data play. NextNet is uniquely situated to help us reach our objective of
delivering future 4G mobile voice, video and data services. We are extremely energized by
the proven success of the NextNet NLOS business model, and we look forward to launching
service in Manila and expanding nationwide," Velarde added.

"It is a pleasure to work with the iMAX team," stated Guy Kelnhofer, NextNet CEO. "It is a
great honor to win the confidence of a service provider who is targeting nationwide
deployment. The synergy of iMAX and Next Mobile provides us with a unique advantage of
time-to-market capabilities. We are extremely pleased that our carrier-of-carriers
business model has been selected, once again, to provide broadband wireless coverage for
millions of subscribers in one of the world's most densely populated nations," Kelnhofer
added.

NextNet's Expedience(TM) NLOS broadband wireless system is an IP-based network that
supports mobile delivery of broadband applications. Today, this broadband mobility is
being employed at speeds of over 100 kilometers per hour in Mexico City, the most densely
populated city in the world.

The Expedience system is currently deployed in cities throughout Asia, Africa, North and
South America, and Central and Latin America. NextNet provides wireless carriers with
proven superiority in the critical areas of coverage, capacity and capital cost, allowing
for rapid penetration into the untapped business and residential markets. The company's
flexible OFDM-based platform delivers consistent broadband speeds across NLOS cell
radiuses of up to 30 km, using indoor, plug-and-play (self-installable) subscriber units,
as well as convenient outdoor (bracket-mount) NLOS subscriber units.

About NextNet(R) Wireless, Inc.

NextNet Wireless is the industry's most widely deployed provider of non-line-of-sight
(NLOS) plug-and-play broadband wireless access systems. NextNet's OFDM-based
Expedience(TM) system provides telecommunications carriers with turnkey solutions for
rapid, low-cost deployment of high-speed, two-way voice and data services over the "last
mile" of the communications network. The Expedience system is deployed in over 20 markets
globally, including the world's largest NLOS plug-and-play deployment in Mexico, covering
70 million potential business and residential subscribers nationwide.

NextNet is the recipient of seven industry technical awards for delivering NLOS service to
under-served urban, suburban and rural markets. NextNet's primary investors include
DCM-Doll Capital Management, Enterasys (NYSE:ETS) (formerly Cabletron Systems), Green
Ventures, JAFCO Ventures, Star Ventures and others. Contact: Barbara Heine, Director,
Marketing Communications; [email-masked]; Tel: 952-967-1116; Fax: 952-929-4080
or visit www.nextnetwireless.com.

About iMAX Communications, Inc.

iMAX is a Filipino corporation duly registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission
on 28 January 2002. As a duly registered value added service provider, it is licensed to
engage in, conduct, and carry on the business of internet and telecommunication, providing
domestic and international message delivery of value-added network services as agent of a
duly enfranchised telecommunications/broadcasting service provider, and buying and
selling, servicing, importing and exporting telecommunications equipment, accessories and
parts. It is engaged in the business of providing end-to-end wireless Internet access to
business, schools, and residential customers. Contact: Justinian Adviento,
[email-masked] or [email-masked]; Tel: 632-786-2000 ext.4124 or
visit www.nextel.com.ph

About Next Mobile, Inc. (formerly Nextel Communications Philippines, Inc.)

Next Mobile, founded in 1987, is a consortium made up of a global team of techno
entrepreneurs. The company provides wireless data services to 35,000 subscribers across
the Philippines, including radio paging systems, personal communications network, trunked
radio systems, cellular mobile telephone systems, etc. Next Mobile has a network of 140
base stations and has a footprint covering Metro Manila and Southern Luzon from Pampanga
to Batangas, the main commercial areas of the country. Future plans include expansion into
all commercially important areas in the country, beginning with the major southern cities
of Cebu and Davao. Next Mobile, Inc. works closely with various business partners as well
as its major supplier Motorola on product development and evolution of new services
especially wireless data applications that will propel the company to continue providing
superior telecommunications services to its chosen markets. The company's primary
objective is to be the preferred provider of communications solutions to business,
particularly industries and vertical segments where it has been able to penetrate
successfully (as an alternative provider). These industries include the wholesale and
retail trade, construction, transportation, manufacturing, and government services. The
Company also sees a secondary target market in high-end/upscale individuals. Next Mobile,
Inc. plans to introduce wireless broadband mobile services in the Philippines in the
summer of 2003.

Contacts

 NextNet Wireless, Minneapolis
Barbara Heine, 952/967-1116
[email-masked]
Fax: 952/929-4080

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=NEWS_VIEW_TYPE&newsId=20030402005149&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/