Subject: [NEXTEL-1] nycwiressless and alliance for downtown newyork

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:59:40 -0500

Now if they can figure out how not to get mugged for your laptop it would be great!

-------- Original Message --------
From: Kevin Mark <[email-masked]>
Subject: nycwiressless and alliance for downtown newyork

from newsday online:
Wireless Internet access coming to downtown
April 4, 2003, 4:36 AM EST
NEW YORK (AP) _ High-speed wireless Internet access is being planned for
activation in six parks and public spaces in Lower Manhattan in May. The
plan would increase the availability of wireless connections to the
Internet. Officials at the Alliance for Downtown New York said the
business improvement district will set up wireless access points called
Wi-Fi connections or "hot spots" in City Hall Park, the South Street
Seaport area and Bowling Green, The New York Times reported in Friday
editions. Wireless points will also be available in Vietnam Veterans
Plaza on Water Street; in Liberty Plaza, at Broadway and Liberty Street;
and in Rector Park in Battery Park City. In those places, people
carrying a properly equipped laptop computer or personal digital
assistant will have high-speed access to the Internet through a system
financed by the Alliance. The networks will bear similarity to a
wireless network in Bryant Park in Midtown. The Alliance operated an
experimental network at Bowling Green last year. It has lain dormant
since last fall, but will be activated again on May 1, the same day as
the other downtown networks. The system is being created by a company
named Emenity and will be one of the largest free wireless networks in
the nation, company officials said. Emenity is affiliated with NYC
Wireless, a non-profit group that encourages the activation of wireless
networks.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/