Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Technological and Cost Advantages Create Demand for Surveillance And Reconnaissance Systems, Says Frost & Sullivan

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:35:22 -0400

Technological and Cost Advantages Create Demand for Surveillance And Reconnaissance
Systems, Says Frost & Sullivan

FROST & SULLIVAN LOGO
Frost & Sullivan logo. (PRNewsFoto)[TC]
SAN ANTONIO, TX USA 07/31/2001
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Modern surveillance and reconnaissance (SR)
systems that execute high-risk missions and transmit large amounts of data in real time
are phasing out manned systems.  The preference for surveillance and reconnaissance (SR)
systems and unmanned systems is largely attributable to their relative low cost and
ability to save valuable human resources.

New analysis from Frost & Sullivan

(http://www.aerospace-defense.frost.com ), World Airborne Surveillance and Reconnaissance
Systems Markets, reveals that this industry generated revenues totaling $4.6 billion in
2002.  Total market revenues are expected to reach $4.9 billion in 2008.

Governments are likely to invest in advanced platforms that have greater
intelligence-gathering capabilities.  Improvements in imagery and radio frequency systems
will help fulfill the need for sophisticated communication systems that collect, analyze,
document, and relay information in order to increase situational awareness.

"Technological advancements in SR are driven primarily by a need to provide
interoperability between equipment of multiple services," says Frost & Sullivan Research
Analyst Merl Fuchs.  "The continued restraint in global defense spending has forced the
downsizing of services." The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) with multiple sensors
and hovering vantage points can supply this deficit by lowering manned-aircraft sortie
rates as well as reducing outlay on support crew and associated training.
"UAVs also eliminate the risk to personnel by surveying areas contaminated by nuclear,
biological, or chemical attack," says Fuchs.  The incorporation of advanced
commercial-off-the-shelf technology has helped decrease component expenditures.  This is
causing surveillance and reconnaissance (SR) technology to proliferate from major platform
manufacturing nations into developing countries.  "You will find SR technology expanding
into developing countries even though they lack market volume, resources, and systems
integration capabilities," adds Fuchs.

Realignment and reorganization of defense budgets can help save on salaries and other
miscellaneous expenses associated with unmanned systems.  It also increases the
possibility that aircrews will be available for operational tasks since they will not
require as much peacetime training.  Frost & Sullivan will hold a conference call at 3:00
p.m. (EDT) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 to provide manufacturers, end-users and other
industry participants an overview of the World Airborne Surveillance and Reconnaissance
Systems Markets.

Those interested in participating in this call should send an email to Cynthia Cabral -
Media Relations Executive at [email-masked] .  Frost & Sullivan is a global leader in
strategic growth consulting.  This ongoing growth opportunity analysis is part of the
Defense & Security Monitor Service, which also includes market insights on World Unmanned
Aerial Vehicle Markets, and World Markets for Network and Data Encryptor Systems for
Government and Military Applications.  Frost & Sullivan also offers custom growth
consulting to a variety of national and international companies.  Executive summaries and
interviews are available to the press.

World Airborne Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems Markets

A371
Contact:
Cynthia Cabral
Media Relations Executive
P: 210.247.2440
F: 210.348.1003
E: [email-masked]
http://www.frost.com

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK3.story&STORY=/www/story/04-17-2003/0001928160&EDATE=THU+Apr+17+2003,+07:56+AM

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/