Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Emergency radio system Don't wait for the state

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:29:12 -0400

Emergency radio system Don't wait for the state

EDITORIALS

Tompkins County emergency services such as police, fire and ambulance today rely on
an ancient and increasingly unreliable radio system. It is almost 30 years old. There are
many spots in the county where police radios don't work and the old communications
system is plagued by equipment failures.

For several years, county officials have been actively designing a comprehensive
upgrade to this increasingly unreliable radio network. Cost estimates have exceeded
$10 million.

In an effort to save taxpayer dollars, Tompkins County officials contacted the state in
2002 to see if the two entities could share costs, tower sites and other components
since New York is in the process of building its own statewide emergency
communication system.

Unfortunately, the state's effort is far behind the county's, leaving local officials in a

"hurry up and wait" position. The county cannot proceed until the state firms up its
design and chooses a vendor because both systems must be compatible. Yet the delay
increases the chance of a major breakdown of local emergency communications.

"My fear is the longer we wait, the more jeopardy we could find ourselves in with the old
microwave system," said Lee Shurtleff, director of the county Department of Emergency
Response. Shurtleff noted Wednesday that there are "routine" radio failures and, due to
the system's age, parts are becoming more difficult to find.

It still makes good sense for the county to develop an upgraded emergency system with
the state. That bilateral effort would save money and ensure interoperability between
local and statewide emergency communications. Nonetheless, the risk of a local
emergency communications failure continues to grow.

New York state government is not known for its ability to move quickly on any issue.
The state is also facing a budget gap in the $11 billion range and the threat of funding
cuts in any program is very real. Under those circumstances, the county cannot wait
indefinitely.

County officials should set a reasonable deadline for the state to provide information
that
is needed to get the local emergency communications system upgrade moving again. If
the state does not move by such a deadline, the county owes it to its residents and
emergency services workers to go it alone, at least for the time being.

Fortunately, Shurtleff's department has designed an alternate plan. This plan would
serve as "an intermediate step that would stabilize the microwave system backbone and
provide a platform for future improvements," according to county legislator Barbara
Blanchard (D-Dist. 1). "If we are not able to strike a deal with the statewide network in
the next few months, we are going to have to look seriously at this proposal as a fall
back position."

Blanchard has it right. The county cannot wait forever, particularly when the issue is a
vital public service such as emergency communications.

Originally published Thursday, April 3, 2003

http://www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20030403/opinion/47555.html