Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dave Maples/ Spectrum ownership ?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:57:25 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Cathy Sutter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Dave Maples/ Spectrum ownership ?

Dave, Since you invited replies regarding the future of spectrum,  here's my 2 cents
worth. As a long time SMR operator I've sat and watched throughout the last ten years all
the unbelievable avenues that were pursued  to obtain spectrum.  I especially enjoyed
watching the creative lawyers representing large carriers, venture groups, Paging
carriers, SMR's, PMRS, CMRS,  including all the UHF and VHF bands. I bet it's safe to say
there is not one of these spectrum"users"  that doesn't have a skeleton in their closet as
to how they really obtained the  " rights to their airwaves ". Unfortunately,  a trend
began that made it almost impossible to separate spectrum from the physical hardware that
entwined them.  Loans were made against spectrum (aside from Nextwave) and the hardware
was purchased.  In the earlier years.... it was just the opposite.  You made loans against
your hardware and the creative lawyers streamlined the spectrum from the FCC into your
lap.  Thousands of channels were absorbed throughout the country for legal fees,
coordination fees and licensing fees.  This was just another process that gave  "users"  a
justification that made them feel they  "owned " the spectrum. Now we can tie in Nextel
who swept across the country with millions of dollars  " buying " spectrum.  Even in their
simple minds ... and skeletons in their closets...one can't blame them for feeling they
own the 800 band. Next came the auctions.  As an auction participant and one who has paid
interest for the past 5 years in addition to the current balloons payments to the
FCC.....In my simple mind....sending that quarterly check sends a message to me that I am
buying something. If you pay for the spectrum,  derive a profit , you should own it.  If
your a government or state agency who uses spectrum to protect the people of the United
States and is non profit,  the answer is obvious. Unfortunately,  my simple analogy is not
a plug and play answer to what's going on in the industry today.  My simple mind will
leave it up to all the politicians, lawyers, engineers, trade associations, lobbyists, and
consultants.  Did I leave anyone out ? Cathy SutterPro-Tec Mobile Communications Inc.1641
North Pinal AveCasa Grande, Az 85222520-836-2025520-836-0198