Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 220 – 222 MHz AUDIT

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:16:31 -0400

DA 03-1089
April 9, 2003

WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU ANNOUNCES AN AUDIT OF THE OPERATIONAL STATUS
OF CERTAIN 220 – 222 MHz BAND LICENSES
Licensees are Encouraged to Verify the Mailing Address for Each License Held and
to Register with the Commission Registration System (CORES)

The Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
(Bureau) will be conducting a license audit of the operational status of certain
site-specific licenses operating in the 220 – 222 MHz (220 MHz) band.   The
purpose of the audit is to promote intensive use of the radio spectrum by
updating and increasing the accuracy of the Commission’s licensing database for
the following services in the 220 MHz band:

? “QT” – Non-nationwide 5-channel trunked systems
? “QD” – Non-nationwide data
? “QO” – Non-nationwide other

Every licensee in these radio services must respond and certify that its
authorized station(s) has not discontinued operations for one year or more.   As
detailed below, the Bureau urges these licensees, prior to the start of this
audit, to verify the mailing address on record for each authorization held and
ensure they have registered with the Commission Registration System (CORES).

Note:  This audit does not affect geographic-area licenses granted following the
220 MHz auctions or 220 MHz licenses authorized for public safety, mutual aid,
or emergency medical services.

Preparing for the Audit

To prepare for the audit, the Bureau strongly encourages licensees in the QT,
QD, and QO radio services to verify the mailing address and other contact
information for each license held.  Licensees can verify the accuracy of the
Commission’s information by accessing the Universal Licensing System’s (ULS)
internet site at http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls and using the License Search
function.  If the information is incorrect, the licensee should use ULS to
electronically file an Administrative Update application.

Another important step a licensee should take to prepare for the audit is to
ensure that it has registered in CORES and received a FCC Registration Number
(FRN).  If a licensee has not already registered in CORES to receive its FRN,
and has not associated the FRN with its licenses, the Bureau strongly encourages
the licensee to do so by May 9, 2003.  To register in CORES and associate its
call signs with its FRN, a licensee should take the following steps:

? Access the ULS internet site at https://wireless.fcc.gov/uls
? Select Register, CORES/Call Sign
? Click on Register Now
? Provide all the information requested by CORES and print the page containing
the 10-digit FRN for future reference
? Click on FCC Universal Licensing System which takes the licensee back to ULS
to register the licensee’s call signs to its FRN
? Select Call Sign/ASR Number Registration
? Enter the FRN and password
? Follow the instructions to associate the call signs with the new FRN.

The Audit Process

During the week of May 12, 2003, the Bureau will send letters to all licensees
operating in the QT, QD, and QO radio services inquiring about the operational
status of each license held.  Each letter will include the call signs of the
licensee’s authorizations involved in this audit and will be directed to each
licensee at its address of record.  A licensee will receive only one audit
letter for all of its QT, QD, and QO authorizations if the licensee has, by May
9, 2003, verified the address is listed correctly in ULS, obtained its FRN, and
associated its call signs with the FRN.  If the licensee has not ensured the
address is correct in ULS, not obtained its FRN and has not associated its calls
signs with the FRN by May 9, 2003, the Bureau will attempt to include all of a
licensee’s call signs subject to this audit in one letter, but may issue more
than one letter for an entity due to slight variations in licensee name or
address in the Commission’s records.   If that is the case, the licensee must
respond to each letter sent by the Commission in order to account for all of its
call signs that are part of the audit.  If a licensee holds an authorization(s)
in any of these radio services and does not receive an audit letter, the
licensee may still be required to respond to the audit.  After the audit letters
have been mailed (scheduled for the week of May 12, 2003), licensees can use the
Audit Search at http://wireless.fcc.gov/licensing/audits/220  to determine if a
particular license is part of the audit.  If the Audit Search shows an audit
letter was mailed, the licensee is required to respond to the audit even though
the audit letter was not received.  For instructions on how to proceed in this
instance, call the Commission at 717-338-2888 or 888-CALLFCC (888-225-5322) and
select option #2.

A response to the audit letter is mandatory.  The Bureau’s process for
responding to the audit letter, via the internet, is intended to be quick, easy,
and convenient for licensees.  Specific instructions for responding to the
audit, including the internet site, will be included in the audit letter.  Each
licensee will be required to electronically submit its response(s) within thirty
(30) calendar days of the date on the audit letter.  Failure to provide a timely
response may result in the Commission presuming that the station has been
non-operational for more than one year, and thus the license may be presumed to
have automatically cancelled. Failure to provide a timely response may also
result in enforcement action, including monetary forfeiture, pursuant to Section
503(b)(1)(B) of the Communications Act  and Section 1.80(a)(2) of the
Commission’s Rules.

For assistance in registering with CORES and associating your call sign with the
FRN, call 717-338-2888 or 888-CALLFCC (888-225-5322) and select option 2.  For
additional information on the 220 MHz license audit, visit the 220 MHz audit web
site at http://wireless.fcc.gov/licensing/audits/220 or contact Denise Walter of
the Bureau’s Commercial Wireless Division at 202-418-0620 or
[email-masked].

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/