Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fixed Wireless Crowd Forms Interoperability Group

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:52:06 -0400

Just what we need another group (NOT)!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed Wireless Crowd Forms Interoperability Group
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
APRIL 8, 2003

Aiming to boost the still-developing market for metro-area broadband wireless
networks, a group of major fixed wireless equipment providers have joined in a
new venture to promote certification of equipment interoperability in that
market.

The so-called WiMAX group's membership includes chipmaker Intel; handset and
networks provider Nokia; Airspan Networks; Alvarion; Aperto Network; Ensemble
Communications; Fujitsu Microelectronics America; Proxim; Wi-LAN and the OFDM
Forum technology special interest group.

WiMAX members say their efforts could help jumpstart the world market for
broadband wireless equipment based on the IEEE 802.16a technical standard,
which covers 'last-mile' metropolitan area networks in the 2 GHz to 11 GHz
frequencies. Wireless MAN providers are looking at, among other things,
connectivity that links wireless local area networks such as 802.11x hot spots
to
the Internet, plus last-mile connectivity for cable and DSL networks.

The 802.16 standard supports data rates up to 70 megabits per second with up to
31 miles of linear service, without the need for a subscriber to have direct
line of
sight to the nearest base station.

'Wireless Internet service providers are deploying wireless broadband access in
more than 2,500 underserved markets in the United States by using proprietary
technology solutions,' states Margaret LaBrecque, WiMAX president. 'By employing

802.16 solutions, these service providers will increase system performance and
reliability while lowering their equipment costs and investment risks.'
WiMAX over the coming year plans to pick certification labs, develop conformance

testing and host interoperability events for 802.16 gear makers. Equipment
meeting the group's specs will be entitled to use the 'WiMAX Certified' label
following testing.

During a news conference, members of WiMAX said 802.16 base stations could be
used not only for last-mile access, but also to provide backhaul connectivity
for
so-called Wi-Fi hot spots in convention centers, hotels and other public places.

Although some of the WiMAX companies already have equipment based on
802.16, LaBrecque said it likely will be mid-2004 before products certified for
interoperability will be available. Interoperability is one of the main reasons
for
the new forum, she said, which ultimately will lead to lower prices paid by
potential
customers.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=04/08/03