Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Volunteer Gets New 800 Mhz Prince William County Radio-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:39:18 -0400

Sheriff's Office takes to the sky
By Sarah L. Greenhalgh
04/22/2003

It caused quite a stir in Old Town.

The little green helicopter landed next to the
Verizon building off Lee Street on Monday
afternoon, drawing a crowd of gawkers.
Many of them were law enforcement officials
from the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office.

Their newest secret weapon was revealed.

Owned and piloted by Sheriff's Office
special auxiliary deputy Sgt. Kevin Rychilk,
this new addition is costing the residents of
Fauquier County exactly zero dollars.

"It's completely free," Sheriff Joe Higgs said,
admiring his new aerial vehicle. "It costs the taxpayers and the county nothing.
Kevin is donating his services to the department. It will be used to locate missing
children, Alzheimer's patients who have wandered off, and for mercy flights."

Rychilk, a former Prince William law enforcement officer, bought the $350,000
fuel-injected Robinson R44 Raven II for himself.

"I didn't buy it for the department," Rychilk said. "It's for me. Flying is a hobby of
mine."

Rychilk, who is a former motorcycle officer of seven years, is now president and
CEO of Security Associates LTD, a firm that specializes in electronic security. He
is also a certified instructor of criminal justice.

His work with the Sheriff's Office is strictly volunteer. A Prince William resident,
Rychilk recently moved closer to Fauquier to do more volunteer work for the
Sheriff's Office.

The cost of maintaining, insuring and fueling the helicopter is all on Rychilk.

"This helicopter is not going to be flying every day," Rychilk said. "It's for
emergency use only as a support system for the Sheriff's Office.

"We are there for missing people or as aerial support for a big event. We may do
some mercy flights, taking organs to hospitals or cancer patients to get special
treatments."

In addition, Rychilk said he would like to teach a few educational programs,
showing the helicopter and its role in law enforcement.

Eye in the sky

Currently, Fauquier County has to rely on Prince William's busy State Police
helicopter, which is not always readily available.

"We hope to be in the air and ready in about 20 minutes," Rychilk said.

The four-seater Robinson R44 flies at about 140 knots. It is a 2003 factory-made
model and has only about 80 hours on it.

Similar to the Robinson R22 trainer, this helicopter is faster and much easier to
handle.

"Robinson is one of the most reliable and safest of helicopters," Rychilk said.

Since the Robinson is an FAA-certified visual flight-only vehicle, Rychilk said he
will be in service as long as he can see to fly.

While it does not have the heat-seeking Flare System like the State Police,
Rychilk said he is equipping the helicopter with a large spotlight, and infrared
goggles for night searches.

The helicopter will also have both the regular radio system and the new 800-MHz
system, and will also have a Global Positioning System with a grid search mapping
capability.

Rychilk has been a pilot for about four years. He will be assisted on most flights by
certified instructor Jerry Reynolds, who is a 20-year veteran of the sport.

"Between the two of us we are bringing a lot of combined experience to the table,"
Rychilk said.

While his decision to invest in the helicopter was mostly to feed his hobby,
Rychilk's choice to loan his services to the Sheriff's Office was much more
personal.

"I have a great deal of respect for Joe Higgs," Rychilk said. "He is probably one of
the most respected sheriffs in the state. There are 660 square miles in this county.
We hope to help in whatever way we can."

http://www.zwire.com/site/tab2.cfm?newsid=7792667&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506066&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:13:45 -0400

Roger Dat-

john wilson wrote:

>     In my opinion he was made an auxillary deputy for the purpose of the Sheriff's
> Office having access to the helicopter and his flight services.  As an auxillary deputy
> he is a law enforcement agent of  the county.  Therefore not only is he, the aircraft
> owner,m legally liable for any negligent flight activities, the county also is at legal
> risk of a lawsuit for any such actions performed in his "official" capability.
> Helicopters have the guide slope of a brick.  This is a very risky decision by the
> county SO.
>
> Marcel wrote:
>
>> http://www.zwire.com/site/tab2.cfm?newsi
>> =7792667&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506066&rfi=6
>

---

From: "Bill Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:35:39 -0400

I'm not a pilot, but in the little aviation reading I have done, it seems
the Robinson's have an excellent safety and reliability record.  I think the
factory requires new owners to attend a factory training program before
delivery.

-----Original Message-----
 Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re:Volunteer Gets New 800 Mhz Prince William Conty
Radio-

    In my opinion he was made an auxillary deputy for the purpose of the
Sheriff's Office having access to the helicopter and his flight services.
As an auxillary deputy he is a law enforcement agent of  the county.
Therefore not only is he, the aircraft owner,m legally liable for any
negligent flight activities, the county also is at legal risk of a lawsuit
for any such actions performed in his "official" capability.  Helicopters
have the guide slope of a brick.  This is a very risky decision by the
county SO.