Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MidCast Gives Mobile Market Watchers Real-Time Data

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:14:58 -0500

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20030401/bs_nf/21154
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

News Home - Yahoo! - Help

News
Finance
Sports
Entertainment

Welcome, marcel_rf1

Personalize News Home Page

-

Sign Out

Yahoo! News
Tue, Apr 01, 2003

Search

News StoriesNews PhotosAudio/VideoFull CoverageThe New York TimesThe Web

for

Advanced

News Front Page

Top Stories

War with Iraq

Business

Economy

Stock Markets

Earnings

Personal Finance

Industries

Commentary

Press Releases

World

Entertainment

Sports

Technology

Politics

Science

Health

Oddly Enough

Op/Ed

Lifestyle

Local

Comics

News Photos

Weather

Most Popular

Audio/Video

Full Coverage

Lottery

Crosswords

News for Kids

News Resources

Providers

·

Reuters

·

AP

·

AFP

·

Dow Jones

·

Forbes.com

·

BusinessWeek Online

·

USA TODAY

·

NewsFactor

·

SmartMoney.com

·

NPR

·

FT.com

·

Investor's Business Daily

Search News

Search:

News StoriesNews PhotosAudio/VideoFull CoverageNew York TimesAll of Yahoo!
for

Advanced

Business - NewsFactor

MidCast Gives Mobile Market Watchers Real-Time Data

1 hour, 9 minutes ago

Add Business - NewsFactor to My Yahoo!

Jay Wrolstad, Wireless.NewsFactor.com

It can be downright painful these days for traders and investors to
monitor the rise and fall of the stock market, but given that hope springs eternal,
there is no substitute for access to the latest information when
making financial decisions.

•

Road Warriors Can Pocket New Portable Printer

•

Microsoft Adopts 'Smart' Strategy

•

The Secret of Logitech's Success

Related Quotes

PALM

NXTL

MOT

SCH

DJIA

NASDAQ

^SPC

9.66
13.64
8.37
7.62
8051.65
1349.99
856.75

-0.329
+0.25
+0.11
+0.40
+59.52
+8.82
+8.58

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer

Quote Data provided by Reuters

Tax season to-do list:

1.

Sharpen pencils.

2.

Mark calendar.

3.

Panic.

Tax Season Coverage
from Yahoo! News

MidCast, a wireless financial-services application from HillCast
Technologies, puts that data in the palm of market watchers' hands, delivering
real-time streaming of stock quotes, charts and graphs to mobile phones and PDAs.

Information on the Move

A Java-based application,
MidCast provides stock price changes, volumes,
last-trade sizes, highs, lows, the day's open, the prior day's
close, the listed exchange of the last trade and the time the last trade
went through.

"Financial professionals can experience the same capabilities on their
mobile devices that, until now, have only been available on their
desktop," Charles Ikard, vice president of technology at HillCast, told
NewsFactor. "This is a carrier-grade financial application suite that
provides secure and continuous real-time information."

To access the information, customers select MidCast from a menu of
applications on their phones or PDAs. The MidCast software then makes a
request connection to the MidCast Server. Once a handshake has been
initiated and a stock quote is requested, updates for that stock are
automatically streamed to the application.

Pocket Portfolio

The software is in continuous contact with a MidCast server, which then
distributes financial data, including quotes, stock details, charts,
graphs and relevant news, to the device's display. A chosen stock is
stored in the handheld's memory, and if the customer requests a new
stock quote, it is added to the list and sent automatically upon each
new quote received from the market.

MidCast features a graphical interface with daily and historical
charts. Currently, it operates on about 100 devices, including Java-enabled phones, RIM (Research In Motion) handhelds and Palm (Nasdaq: PALM - news) and Pocket PC hardware. Wireless operator Nextel (Nasdaq: NXTL - news) offers the application on a
variety of phones it sells.

Customers can purchase the product at HillCast's Web site or from the company's resellers, including Handango, PalmGear and the Motorola (NYSE: MOT - news) iDEN Web outlet. The price ranges from a one-time fee of US$14.95 to $49.95, depending on the device being used.

Traders, Brokers, Carriers Targeted

HillCast has set its sights on investors, financial advisors and
brokers, and financial institutions, with separate products designed for
consumers and enterprise customers.

"The mobile financial market is the next big emerging market for mobile data applications," Ikard said. "Consumers are ready for real-time mobile data and are embracing the cultural shift brought about by
powerful devices and high-speed networks."

At the same time, financial institutions want to provide better access
to information, and carriers need to increase revenue per user and
recoup investments in data networks, he added.

One Step at a Time

There may indeed be an established market for real-time stock
information, said Yankee Group analyst Adam Zawel, but serious day traders most likely need more than can be delivered at this point by applications like MidCast.

"It is an incremental process," he told NewsFactor. "As we move from
five lines of text to color screens and improved data capabilities on
mobile devices, users can access more information, but it is still not
enough for day traders, most of whom are tied to their desks anyway."

Such brokers as Fidelity and Charles Schwab (NYSE: SCH - news) already offer wireless access to accounts and limited stock information to their customers, Zawel pointed out. "This application could help propel wireless devices
into the financial decision-making process, primarily among the millions
of investors out there."

Email Story

Post/Read Msgs

Print Story

Ratings:

Would you recommend this story?

Not at all

1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5

Highly

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
src="http://personal.news.yahoo.com/us/news/ratings/getavgrate.html?locale=us&prop=news&rateid=nf/20030401/21154&type=T&cat=620&ncid=&js=1">
</script>

Next Story:

AMD and Fujitsu Join Forces for Flash (NewsFactor)

More Business - Top Stories Stories

·

About 2,500 American Pilots to Lose Jobs

(AP)

·

European stocks rebound in bargain hunting
(AFP)

·

US Says South Korean Semiconductors Unfairly Subsidized
(Dow Jones)

·

Power in Your Lap
(Forbes.com)

·

OPEC's President: "No Shortage of Oil"
(BusinessWeek Online)

Weekly
Specials

ADVERTISEMENT

·

Fast Tax Refund! File online with TurboTax® For the WebSM

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Spring?

·

Home Equity Rates as Low as 4.0% - LendingTree.com

·

Refinance now even if you're a homeowners with bad credit. 185 offices

·

TRADE FREE for a MONTH!

·

Get a fresh start with ClearCredit

·

Save up to 70% on Life Insurance. Get Instant Quotes!

·

Eat your veggies...or go to geico.com

·

Rates stay low. Refinance and Save!

·

Access Your Work PC from Home and leave your Laptop Behind!

ADVERTISEMENT

Is
Someone Watching You?

Simplifying your life, one lid at a time!

A
floor lamp that spreads sunshine all over a room

How to make your car invisible to radar and laser!

High-tech
mosquito trap mimics a heartbeat to lure biting insects

Monsoon-like rain and winds? No problem!

Atomic
digital watches keep absolute time and date accuracy by tuning in to the
official time transmitter.

Get in the zone with the mattress topper that molds to your body¿s contours

Services

•

Daily Emails

•

Free News Alerts

Business Education

•

Online MBA programs

•

Bachelor Degrees in Business

from Yahoo! Education

Copyright © 2003 Triad Commerce Group, LLC.

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Ad Feedback