Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Latest Pew Report

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:23:59 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Latest Pew Report

Note that Pew does provide data to researchers
http://www.pewinternet.org/datasets/index.asp

Latest report--

The Ever-Shifting Internet Population: 
A new look at Internet access and the digital divide
http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=88

Part 1: Who's Not Online
(Rural and Southern)

Disparities between rural inhabitants and others remain, while
suburbanites 
have moved ahead of their urban counterparts in Internet penetration. In
rural 
areas, less than half of Americans go online. Southerners are the least
likely 
of any geographic group to be online with 45% still not using the
Internet, 
closely followed by the Midwest with 44% offline. The Northeast has 41%
of its 
population offline and the West continues to lead in Internet
penetration – 
only 37% of Westerners do not use the Internet. 

Part 4: The Intentions of Non-Users
(Location)
Urban dwellers who do not use the Internet are more likely than rural
residents 
to say they think they will eventually go online. Forty-seven percent of 
urbanites not now online think they will go online some day, while a
third 
(33%) of those who live in rural areas say the same. Forty-one percent
of 
offline suburban inhabitants think they will go online. 

More Midwesterners and Southerners believe they will never use the
Internet. 
Close to 60% of offline inhabitants of both regions say they do not
think they 
will ever go online. This contrasts with Northeast and West regions
where about 
half of their offline residents don’t think they will ever use the
Internet.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nCdp4D/OC5FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/