Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:37:21 -0500

Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as  Terrorists

Wednesday, April 2, 2003; 9:02 PM

By Lee Douglas

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - An Oregon anti-terrorism bill would jail street-blocking
protesters for
at least 25 years in a thinly veiled effort to discourage anti-war demonstrations, critics
say.

The bill has met strong opposition but lawmakers still expect a debate on the definition
of terrorism
and the value of free speech before a vote by the state senate judiciary committee, whose
Chairman, Republican Senator John Minnis, wrote the proposed legislation.

Dubbed Senate Bill 742, it identifies a terrorist as a person who "plans or participates
in an act that
is intended, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt" business, transportation,
schools,
government, or free assembly.

The bill's few public supporters say police need stronger laws to break up protests that
have created
havoc in cities like Portland, where thousands of people have marched and demonstrated
against
war in Iraq since last fall.

"We need some additional tools to control protests that shut down the city," said Lars
Larson, a
conservative radio talk show host who has aggressively stumped for the bill.

Larson said protesters should be protected by free speech laws, but not given free reign
to hold up
ambulances or frighten people out of their daily routines, adding that police and the
court system
could be trusted to see the difference.

"Right now a group of people can get together and go downtown and block a freeway," Larson
said.
"You need a tool to deal with that."

The bill contains automatic sentences of 25 years to life for the crime of terrorism.

Critics of the bill say its language is so vague it erodes basic freedoms in the name of
fighting
terrorism under an extremely broad definition.

"Under the original version (terrorism) meant essentially a food fight," said Andrea Meyer
of the
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which opposes the bill.

Police unions and minority groups also oppose the bill for fear it could have a chilling
effect on
relations between police and poor people, minorities, children and "vulnerable"
populations.

Legislators say the bill stands little chance of passage.

"I just don't think this bill is ever going to get out of committee," said Democratic
Senator Vicki
Walker, one of four members on the six-person panel who have said they oppose the
legislation.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:42:24 -0600

Marcel wrote:

>Dubbed Senate Bill 742, it identifies a terrorist as a person who "plans or participates in an act that is intended, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt" business, transportation,
>schools, government, or free assembly.
>  
>
If a politician introduces a bill whose purpose is to disrupt free 
assembly (of the demonstrators), does that make the politician a terrorist?

-rick

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:52:10 -0500

I propose a bill that would require all Politicians to  take a "reality" test twice a year.

Any politician suffering from delusions, lack of judgement or 50 "Other" symptoms will be sentenced to a term of 25 to Life-

 And NO they can't stay in office.............