Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Judge Dismisses Motorola's Racketeering Claims against Uzan Family

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:33:23 -0400

Judge Dismisses Motorola's Racketeering Claims against Uzan Family

In response to a ruling last month by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the
2nd
Circuit in New York, U.S. District Court Judge Jed Rakoff dismissed,
without
prejudice, racketeering charges brought by Motorola against the Uzan
family,
owners of Turkish wireless company Telsim. Motorola alleges that the
Uzans
defrauded it and Nokia of almost $3 billion. The appeals court ruled
that the
racketeering charges were premature, and that Judge Rakoff needed to
reconsider whether his court had jurisdiction in the dispute. Judge
Rakoff's ruling
left open the possibility that the racketeering charges could be
reinstated.
According to Motorola, the judge's ruling also did not change the
court's
preliminary findings that Motorola and Nokia were the victims of a
massive
swindle. The Uzans are arguing that the case should be settled though
arbitration proceedings in Switzerland. But Judge Rakoff kept in place a

preliminary injunction preventing the Uzans from taking the dispute to
the Swiss
arbiters. (Source: Reuters, Chicago Tribune, Financial Times)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/