Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re:800 MHz Consensus Plan "Scoreboard" as of 4/16/03]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:31:34 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2003 2:03:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> As I recall, you minimized the value of 'individual' comments in your
> first or second reply to this 'scoreboard' discussion. Have you had a
> change of heart?

A:  No Jack, not at all.  I just meant that a simple "vote" doesn't mean 
anything (see the Upper 200 decision, for example).  That's different than 
saying "don't file."  Making valid criticisms and suggestions to the FCC, 
whether individually, collectively, or corporatively, the FCC appreciates it 
and considers it.  In other words, it's not necessarily the quantity that 
counts, but the quality.  And, not every submission (in any proceeding) need 
to be some thorough technical and/or legal analysis.  Good business and 
practical comments are always good, too.  Thus, a knowledgeable person like 
yourself can raise appropriate issues and have them considered appropriately.

> 
> The REAL objective is to help the forum members get the fullest picture
> possible and make their OWN decisions how they will voice their personal
> position. It ain't perfect but it's better than the hyped up press
> releases we all get.

A:  I agree.  Hence why I post at all on this (or any other) forum, to 
provide as much education as possible, despite being told by some industry 
members that I'm wasting my time.  As you know, I've also worked to get 
industry-wide meetings at as many functions as possible, too, again for the 
same purpose.

> 
> They can post comments here, send comments to the FCC, write their
> senators and congresspersons, talk it up in their circles and
> associations, or just do nothing; it's their decision and no one else's. 
> 
> I would think supporters of the 'plan' would welcome this type of
> discussion. It provides them an opportunity to voice their position and
> to counter misconceptions.  

A:  Again, I agree (see above).  However, to the extent that one has a gripe 
(as we all do from time to time), one certainly MAY choose to do nothing, but 
making that voice heard to the decision making personnel (in whatever context 
that is, FCC, Congress, associations, etc.) enables that decision maker(s) to 
make a more informed (and hence better) decision.

> 
> But I may be wrong.........
> Jack Daniel