Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lowndes County, Ga. Gets New 800Mhz System-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 02:29:54 -0500

Lowndes County 911/Emergency Management Center.
Director Nick Lacey--

<Snip>

"Once the voice system is activated, all dispatch
communication will move to a 800 Mhz digitally encrypted
signal that will make conventional, analog scanners
obsolete, Lacey said. Scanner enthusiasts will need to wait
until the technology to scan digital transmissions is
commercially available."

Hmmm???? If his system is truly "encrypted" he will never need to worry about "Scanner
Enthusiasts". On the other hand if he is referring to P-25 he is too late.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
County hears E911 update

Valdosta Daily Times, GA - Mar 24, 2003

By Bill Roberts

VALDOSTA -- Lowndes County Commissioners heard
updates Monday on the county's Public Safety Radio
System as well as accreditation projects under way for the
Lowndes County 911/Emergency Management Center.

Director Nick Lacey told the Board he hoped the system
will be fully functional by May. The data component of the
system is already online with mobile data computers,
computer aided dispatch and criminal databases up and
running. The voice system awaits the construction of a
telecommunications tower in Naylor. Three other towers
around the county are already in place. The fourth is
needed to provide adequate coverage across the county.

Once the voice system is activated, all dispatch
communication will move to a 800 Mhz digitally encrypted
signal that will make conventional, analog scanners
obsolete, Lacey said. Scanner enthusiasts will need to wait
until the technology to scan digital transmissions is
commercially available.

The main advantage of shifting voice communications to
the digital towers is to allow secure, clear communication
around the area. The existing analog system has occasional
clarity issues and is subject to interruption during severe
weather.

The center is also pursuing accreditation from the
Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement
Agencies, which would make it only the second municipal
center in the state with such a designation. Cobb County is
the only Georgia county with a CALEA accredited 911
center.

Because the process is extremely difficult, few
communities attempt it. Only about 40 911 centers in the
nation hold CALEA accreditation. The center must show
compliance with 214 standards designed to gauge
effectiveness in management, operations and systems.

CALEA assessors will visit the center in early April and
will host a public meeting at 7 p.m. April 7 in the Lowndes
County Administration building to solicit public comment.

Lacey said the center is also pursuing "Storm Ready"
designation through the National Weather Service and the
Georgia Emergency Management Agency. The designation
looks at an agency's ability to provide local warning of
severe weather events as well as community preparedness.
The NWS also has "challenging criteria" for information
reception equipment and weather and water monitoring
equipment, Lacey wrote in a memorandum to the Board.

At Tuesday's regular meeting, Commissioners will consider
a petition to abandon parts of Spain Ferry and
Kinderlou-Clyattville roads in western Lowndes County.
The Langdale Company, which owns nearly all of the land
that runs along the two stretches of road, requested the
closings. If the petition is accepted, the Board will hold a
public hearing at a future meeting before voting on the
closure.

 http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/articles/2003/03/25/news/news03.txt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/