Subject: [mobile-ip] Please read: Our last email storm, and you.

From: "Steven M. Glass" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:47:51 -0400

Distractions like Monday's instantaneously bring our productivity 
to a halt, so here  are some things to know.  It comes in two parts, 
first a reminder for if-and-when you want off the alias, and second for 
while you remain on the alias.

     How to unsubscribe:
     ------------------

     As a result of the viral-induced storm we received recently, there 
were many people who tried to unsubscribe incorrectly (if you don't 
think viruses/incorrectly-configured/inappropriately-protected mail 
clients cost us *all* money - think again; I've just finished digging 
out).  Most of these [incorrect] messages went to the WG alias, most of 
them with 'unsubscribe' in the header.  My presumption is people wanted 
to keep the junk out of their in-boxes, which is great, but only 
effective if people know how to manage their own subscription(s).

         To administer your address, send email to:

         [email-masked] (note this is NOT the 
alias address)

         to unsubscribe, the entire *body* of the email says: unsubscribe
         to subscribe, the entire *body* of the email says: subscribe

         Note that neither of these go in the *subject* of your email.

         If you send email to [email-masked], 
then no matter what you put in subject or body it sits in that queue 
until I can get to it.

         All this is detailed on our WG web-site: 
http://playground.sun.com/mobile-ip/instructions.html

     If you're remaining:
     -------------------

     If you're remaining on the alias, great, however I have a request 
or two.    Specific operating system rants aside, some mail clients are 
more susceptible to attack than others.  Most of us are using what 
we're "forced" to, but that doesn't mean there's nothing you can, and 
should do to prevent these things from happening.  Please consider the 
following:

     - Keep [email-masked] out of your address book.
           This is the first place many viruses look.

     - Use a virus checker/filter.
           If you "can't", ask what your server is using to protect you.

     - Disable any 'auto-run' features on your mail clients!
           Some people think it's cool to auto-run attachments.  It's 
not.

     - Try to get an idea for the vulnerability of the tools you use.
           This is hard to do.  A lot of education can yield only a gut-
           feeling, but if not your running blind, and so, then, are we.

     There are others, but I think these are the top 4 (though I'd only 
encourage other's to post educational material if they so desire).  The 
last one tries to be a catch-all, but that depends on you.

                              Cheers,
                                  Steven M. Glass
                                  [email-masked]