Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel in NYC on 9/11

From: "erhlp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:59:16 -0000

Nextel has been touting how well their system worked in NYC on 9/11, 
I was wondering if anyone out there knows first hand how the system 
worked.  I always like to find a second source of information to 
support or debunk someones claims!

Thank you,

E Rivera

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:38:10 -0400

We already "Debunked" that Timmy Lie......

-------- Original Message --------
From: "mark_valera <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Federal Govt and Nextel
To: [email-masked]
> Steve Hammond wrote:
>
> > No big surprise.  Nextel is advertising or selling their stuff as
"the only radio/phone system that worked in NY on 9/11".
> >
> > I heard this from one of the PS users that I know.  Don't know
how true the actual quote is but the user did hear that.

My $.02 on this one:
Dispatch **barely** worked that morning, well into Thursday
9/13, you would more often than not hear "bonk....bonk" then see
"User Not Available C0".  Another example of a situation where I
could **see** someone I needed to talk to on the other side of
the pile but couldn't speak to them.  To be honest, I wanted to
bury my r750 plus into the rubble at that moment.  During those
times, I really wished for some sort of Tetra-like DMO option, as
the other means of communication we had were very crowded.

And by the way, that r750 is NO match for a Saber!

---

From: "Bulldog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:13:12 -0000

I worked at Nextel on the now-infamous day.  It was widely recognized 
within the organization that DC (not necessarily cell) worked 
immpecably.

Nextel made the decision NOT to leverage that marketing angle 
immediately following the incident.  They felt it was in poor taste.  
Instead, they issued press releases outlining the pro-bono 
handsets/service they donated to various public safety agencies. ~ 
[email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Brian Dobkin \(FLA174\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:39:20 -0400

A frind of mine, who an FDNY EMT, said after 9/11 he will never use another
cell phone. He said that it is the only phone that worked for anybody he
talked to within the department. He preaches nextel's praises to everyone.