Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Former FCC Staffers Say Telecom Regulation Has Failed

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:18:52 -0400

Two former FCC staffers currently in the academic world said during a lecture
sponsored by Verizon Communications that the commission’s regulation of the
wireline sector and its management of wireless spectrum have been ineffective
dating back to the divestiture of AT&T in 1984. Gerald Faulhaber, previously the
FCC’s chief economist and now a public policy professor at the University of
Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, said FCC policies designed to force
“recalcitrant” monopolies into accepting competition and embracing innovation
had failed. Dave Farber, former chief technologist at the FCC and now a visiting
professor at Carnegie Mellon University, threw water on two hot markets that
many carriers are looking towards to gain a competitive edge - Web-based video
and Wi-Fi. \

www.fastNetworkNOW.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG