Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Butterfield Ranch system to aid police, fire service

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 05:43:07 -0400

Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Butterfield Ranch system to aid police, fire service

By BLANCA E. SANCHEZ
STAFF WRITER

Sunday, April 20, 2003 -

CHINO HILLS — An 800 MHz public safety radio system is expected to be installed in
Butterfield Ranch to provide better coverage in that area.

The current system does not adequately meet emergency personnel requirements for radio
coverage and services there. "It's extremely important," said Sgt. T.A. Peters of the San
Bernardino County Sheriff's Department's Chino Hills station. "Our communication at the
south end of Chino Hills is very poor. We can't talk to dispatch through radio or the
computer. This will strengthen the signal so you can have better communication."

The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to award a $24,980
construction contract to Norco-based HCI Inc. for the Information Services Butterfield
Radio Site Installation.

The system will be installed at the Mystic Canyon water reservoir tank site owned by the
city. The new radio site will allow for better communication and response times by both
the Sheriff's Department and the Chino Valley Independent Fire District.

The southern portion of the city and the Prado Basin area have had an increased demand for
public safety services because more people have moved in, said Dave Seidel, chief of
network services for the county's Information Services Department.

Chief Paul Benson of the Chino Valley Independent Fire District was instrumental in the
project.

The district is currently using a temporary system, which is another frequency on the 800
MHz band for the station located in Butterfield Ranch. Although it improved the
communication, it does not cover the entire area and is only a temporary solution, Benson
said.

Benson said he is pleased to see the funding was granted and the project moving forward.

"I know we made a great deal of progress," Benson said. "This is going on three years that
we have been working to resolve this."

The radio system is expected to be in operation in June.

Seidel said the system will also benefit surrounding areas.

"With the growth being what it is, other areas in the general proximity will benefit,"
Seidel said. "It's not a real tall system, but will clearly benefit more than just the
housing community in Butterfield Ranch, but that was the focus."

Councilmen Ed Graham and Gary Larson said this has been a long-awaited project.

"It's unfortunate that it took so long," Graham said. "But I'm happy that they funded the
project."

Larson said this will serve an area with much needed coverage.

"It's going to hit the dead spots," Larson said. "The area in the canyon and Butterfield
Ranch is where the dead spots are."
http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~24398~1339288,00.html#

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/