Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pop-Up Pariahs

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:53:22 -0400

I have been pounding the table on this one-

Co-Channel Interference on ISM band and Part 15 Devices.

Just wait until the band is saturated and the range is cut in half do to
increased noise floor.

Dan  just reinforces what is known to us "Techies" and not known to the general
public.

On a related note the FCC released an updated document entitled

"THE FCC’s ON-LINE TABLE OF FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS
47 C.F.R. § 2.106" Revised on March 10, 2003"

which has some minor changes regarding ISM & other bands.

www.fcc.gov
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pop-Up Pariahs
04.16.03

Here's yet another reason to hate those stupid little wireless video cameras
that are
constantly advertised via irritating pop-up ads on the Internet: Installing one
can
really mess up your 802.11b wireless LAN network.

The tiny cameras, which use the same 2.4GHz band as the 802.11b wireless LAN
specification, generate a lot of interference on such networks, according to
AirMagnet, which has developed handheld monitoring tools for WLAN networks that
can be used to root the godforsaken cameras out of corporate environments.

"They're the worst 2.4GHz noise generator out there," claims Dean Au, president
and
CEO of AirMagnet. "They have a signal-to-noise ratio of 40 percent… If you
install
one of those in your environment you're going to take the network down."

Of course, the cameras aren't by any means the only thing that can cause
interference on an 802.11b network. Cordless phones and microwave emissions
can both clog up the 2.4GHz band; and simply installing too many 802.11b access
points in one place can cause interference (see N+I: Congestion Problems? for
more on this).

But, while Unstrung can understand why a cordless phone or a microwave might be
useful, we frankly have no clue what anyone even uses those video cameras for.

— Dan Jones, Senior Editor, Unstrung

http://www.Unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=31438
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/