Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel's Lawyers Call Congressional Inquiry Futile (Ha-Ha-Ha)

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:18:49 -0400

Nextel's Lawyers Call Congressional Inquiry Futile (Ha-Ha-Ha)
House probe on Nextel futile, says firm's lawyer
By LENIE LECTURA
TODAY Reporter

Next Mobile, formerly Nextel Philippines Communications Philippines Inc. (NCPI),
said the congressional inquiry into the buyout of the trunk radio network
operator is “futile” as the matter has been resolved years back.

“This matter has been resolved. Congress has been dragged into a personal fight
between Nextel former chief executive officer Antonio Urera and other former
executives of Nextel,” Nextel legal counsel Justinian Adviento said in a
statement.
As far as the new management of Next Mobile is concerned, Adviento said the
matter happened four years ago and this became the subject of court cases, as
well as threatened Congressional investigations. “Nothing came out of them
because the law is very clear on the issue,” he said.

Davao City Rep. Prospero Nograles and Northern Samar Rep. Harlin Abayon have
sought an inquiry on NCPI following reports that Filipino dummies were used in
order to get around with the Constitutional prohibition for foreign companies
and individuals to own more than 40 percent of any corporation or association
organized under Philippine laws.

Urera said in his sworn statement that Nextel International Inc. (NII), a purely
foreign firm, has taken full control of NCPI despite Constitutional limits on
foreign ownership of Filipino corporations.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/abs_news_body.asp?section=Business&oid=20499

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/