Subject: [NEXTEL-1] cellular-news for Tuesday 22nd April 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:15:16 -0400

Tuesday 22nd April 2003
   Alcatel picks up Shanghai contract
   10 million subscriber capacity

   Alcatel has been awarded a new contract by Shanghai Mobile, the Shanghai subsidiary of
 China Mobile, for a major expansion of its GSM/GPRS network. Th...

   GSM coverage to include Mount Everest summit
   What would Hillary and Tenzing say

   China Mobile is putting a GSM base station on Mount Everest. The move is to support a
 team sponsored by the Chinese internet portal, Sohu which will s...

   Belize network orders billing software
   Unified billing for multiple services

   MIND CTI has signed a contract with Intelco International Telecommunications, the new
 telecommunications operator in Belize, to provide a single billi...

   Nokia to produce clamshell handset - report
   Fills a gap in their product range

   Nokia is rumoured to be in talks with four Taiwanese outsource manufacturers about
 contracting them to manufacturer a range of clamshell phones. Di...

   Sony Ericsson claiming GSM royalties
   Easy way to bolster falling revenues

   The Korea Times has reported that Sony Ericsson, which inherited a swathe of GSM
 patents from its parent companies has begun chasing several So...

   Virgin Mobile passes half million mark in the USA
   Sign that MVNO's can work in America ?

   Virgin Mobile USA continues to grow at a fast pace since its national launch in late
 July 2002.  The MVNO says that it has reached 500,000 net subscri...