Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ohio Valley 2-Way Radio Inc Lands $200K+ Public Safety Contract-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 04:24:33 -0400

Council OKs $209K for police station equipment
By VINCE LUECKE

Editor

TELL CITY — The Tell City Common Council approved purchases totaling
$209,725 for the city’s new police station last Monday, more than was
initially budgeted for the project.  The purchase package includes a new
100-foot-tall tower, 13 new antennas, computer screens, and consoles for
dispatchers.

The city had budgeted approximately $180,000 for the equipment, but
those preliminary figures were based on estimates nearly two years old,
Tell City Police Chief David Faulkenberg said. Earlier plans also called
for salvaging three of the existing antennas and other equipment now
atop the tower behind the old station. Considering the age of the
antennas and the expense of removing and then reinstalling equipment,
Faulkenberg recommended buying all-new units.

“When we look at equipment that’s already 25 years old, we have to ask
ourselves what are we really getting,” he said.  “We want good equipment
we’re not going to have to replace five or six years from now. We want
the most bang from our buck.”
Included in the quote from Ohio Valley 2-Way Radio Inc. of Owensboro,
Ky., are two new state-of-the-art consoles for dispatchers. The
station’s dispatch station is designed for two operators.

The consoles are made of sound-deadening materials and have motorized
work platforms that adjust in height. Faulkenberg said the feature will
allow dispatchers to adjust the height of their work station.

Using an expression recently used to describe reporters covering the war
in Iraq, Faulkenberg said dispatchers are “embedded at their work
stations for hours.” Helping boost their comfort level, he said, will be
extra important if the department eventually has dispatchers working
shifts up to 11 hours long instead of the current eight.

Asked by the council if some of the costs for the consoles could be
reduced, Ohio Valley 2-Way Radio’s Paul Bratcher said he could remove
the extra cost of the motorized lift from one of the consoles. Council
members, however, approved the entire purchase request after being told
by Bratcher that the consoles and other equipment should last at least
30 years.

Clerk-treasurer Barbara Ewing said the bulk of the purchase will be
financed through a lease-purchase agreement.
Helping cover some of the costs will be increased revenue from Perry
County. Commissioners approved a request for increase in funding (see
story this edition). Tell City provides county-wide dispatching for the
Perry County Sheriff’s Department and Perry County Emergency Medical
Services.

The council also agreed to take a new look at enforcing city trash
ordinances after learning some residents continue to harbor large
amounts of trash on their property. The city has the authority to cite
residents found in violation of ordinances, Mayor Bill Goffinet said.

If property owners or tenants don’t remove the trash, the city can
direct the street department to do the work, with the tenant or property
owner billed for the cost. Violators could also face hundreds of dollars
in fines.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/