Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Proposed cell tower sparks debate

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 04:42:49 -0400

Proposed cell tower sparks debate

By Amy A. Winnemore, STAFF WRITER April 17, 2003

 NEWTOWN SQUARE - Discussion of a possible cell tower atop the Marple Newtown School
District owned Gauntlett Community Center, which would bring in $1,900 a month, sparked
intense debate Monday evening.

Michael Yanoff, attorney for Nextel Communica -tions, gave a presentation to the Newtown
Board of Supervisors Monday.

"Currently, we have a zoning application before the zoning board for the placement of an
antennae ray on the Gauntlett Center," said Yanoff.

The Gauntlett Center, on West Chester Pike in Newtown Square, is zoned R-3 residential
district. The school district has already signed a lease agreement with Nextel.

"I've heard there was significant concern on the board on the location of the antenna
ray," said Yanoff.

"Our goal tonight is to convince the township not to actively oppose this application."
In 1999, Omnipoint built a cell tower on top of the Newtown Towers Apartment on West
Chester Pike. The board, under the direction of township solicitor Bruce Irvine, fought
the applicant all the way to the Supreme Court. The township succeeded and the cell tower
was taken down.

"Then describe for us why it should be there. Before it was to be on the fire company,"
asked Newtown Supervisor Chairman John Custer.

Nextel Site Acquisition Specialist Adam Braillard, explained to the board reasons for the
location of cell towers.

"First I look for existing towers. If there are none, then I look for existing structures,
which are high enough. If they aren't high enough then we build a new tower, which I don't
like to do," said Braillard.

"In the immediate area, there aren't any existing towers. So in this case, we're in the
second tier."

Braillard explained that he approached the Marple Newtown School District about the plans,
and a lease agreement was signed. Structural plans were then designed.
But Yanoff made sure to point out that the lease agreement with the school district, must
get township approval before the cell tower is built.

Nextel Radio Frequency Engineer Ben Ramig explained that there is a gap in that area on
West Chester Pike, and that the 4-feet-tall and 6-inches-wide antennae would solve the
problem.

But Supervisor Pete DeLiberty, a board member when the Omnipoint case was thrown out,
expressed concern over possible health risks.

"I understand that there's no definitive proof as to whether there's a health problem with
regard to these towers, said DeLiberty. "But by no means is there proof that they're not
harmless.

"This is probably the most concentrated area of the township. There must be 650 kids at
St. Anastasia's School, kids at the Gauntlett Center, there are older folks in a nearby
apartment building."

But Supervisor H. Ross Lambert told DeLiberty that he, "absolutely doesn't understand
radio frequency energy."
And as for the Omnipoint case Lambert said that, "it's a disgrace that you even fought
that."

Currently, there are towers at SAP America on West Chester Pike and the Garrett-Williamson
Foundation on Bishop Hollow Road.

When resident Pat O'Donnell asked Yanoff how much the school district will be compensated
for leasing the space, Yanoff said he couldn't comment.

At the end of the discussion, Custer explained that the board would be looking toward
Irvine for guidance on the matter.
"It's an explosive issue," Custer said." We have to move very carefully, given the
history."

DeLiberty pointed out to the board that the Marple Board of Commissioners recently
approved a flagpole cell tower in a flagpole in the Broomall Shopping Center.

"Couldn't you use that and wouldn't it fill the gap?" asked DeLiberty.
But Braillard elucidated that the site is a, "Cingular Wireless flagpole. Those sites
aren't suited for our equipment.

"The school will provide a lot better coverage."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7748144&BRD=1725&PAG=461&dept_id=45529&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/