Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Talk 1st -Get License Later

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:41:53 -0400

Talk 1st -Get License Later
New emergency channel
By Diane Simmonds

Thursday, 17 April 2003

Mudgee Guardian

9 Perry Street
PO Box 255
Mudgee
NSW
2850
[email-masked]
02 6372 1455

People in Mudgee region with an
emergency can now radio for help on the
UHF radio channel 5 repeater.

Mudgee VRA, SES, Rural Fire Service,
police, ambulance and the NSW Fire
Brigade have banded together to provide
constant monitoring of the emergency
channel 5 and channel 35.

Captain of the VRA, Garry Dollisson has
asked anyone currently using channel 5
or channel 35 to move to another
channel, from 9 to 30 or 39 to 40, or 1
to 4 simplex mode or 6 to 8 simplex
mode.

Captain Dollisson said channels 5 and 35 should be kept for
emergency assistance only.

"We have members around, monitoring the Mudgee Gulgong area,"
Captain Dollisson said.

"Members of the public can monitor as well, but if you do so,
remember to take as much information as you can to determine that
it is not a hoax call and report to the relevant authority."

Captain Dollisson said the idea of a common radio channel for
emergency services in the Mudgee Gulgong region came about with
the increase in UHF radio and was endorsed by the Local Emergency
Management Committee.

"A lot of hours have been put into the setting up in May last year,"
Captain Dollisson said.

"We had many volunteers doing radio testing, using a test repeater
to see how much coverage we would have.

"Since that date we have been applying for the appropriate licence
through the Australian Communications Authority."

Captain Dollisson said funding for the project has come from Mudgee
and Gulgong businesses and the Mudgee 000 committee.

"The radio and equipment was supplied by Mudgee Volunteer Rescue
Association and modifications and technical advice and assistance
through Andrew Paine of Singleton division of the Citizens Radio
Emergency Services Team," Captain Dollisson said.

Captain Dollisson said for UHF users to remember, channel 5 and
channel 35 are designated as emergency use only and non-urgent
use must be confined to other channels.

http://mudgee.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=emergency%20services&story_id=222398&y=2003&m=4

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/