Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Muleta Says FCC Won't Budge On Wireless LNP Deadline

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:36:19 -0400

Muleta Says FCC Won't Budge On Wireless LNP Deadline
BY MARK ROCKWELL
APRIL 14, 2003

WASHINGTON -- On the eve of a U.S. Appeals Court hearing, the FCC's new
wireless bureau chief is holding fast to the FCC's hard line on local number
portability.

The U.S. Court of Appeals is set to hear the CTIA's appeal of the FCC's number
portability rules as they pertain to wireless carriers. Oral arguments in the
case will
happen tomorrow here. CTIA will contend that LNP rules for wireless carriers
aren't
applied in the same way as wireline LNP rules.

Wireline carriers aren't required to provide the same kind of on-demand
portability
to wireless carriers as is required for wireless carriers porting a wireline
number.

'We're firm on the Nov. 24th date,' says John Muleta, FCC wireless bureau chief
in
a briefing today with reporters. The date was set by the FCC as its deadline for

wireless carriers to have LNP set in their networks. Muleta said no carriers or
manufacturers have come forward to the FCC about concerns over the deadline
falling in prime holiday gift buying season-a time when wireless services,
phones
and other equipment are being marketed and bought heavily. Some in the
industry has voiced concerns that an imposition of complicated LNP capabilities
on
networks and notification of consumers of those capabilities might frighten off
holiday shoppers.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=04/14/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/