Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: UTC Submits "Balanced Approach" Plan to Counter "The Plan"

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:17:02 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: UTC Submits "Balanced Approach" Plan toCounter "Th...

>>> [email-masked] 04/09/03 05:47PM >>>
It's a huge problem.  Nextel files SO many applications for their build-outs,
there are always bound to be typos.  Often the coordinator catches it (and thus
you never know about it), but far too often it doesn't get caught.  But, if you
look at a recent 800 MHz non-Nextel decision from Las Vegas the other day, it
isn't only Nextel that makes a typo, it happens with many licensees.  Sometimes
the antenna registration system catches it, but not if it's a low site that
doesn't require clearance.

Prior to ULS, we often wound up with licenses with the wrong frequency, even
though the applicant typed the right one.  So, you see licenses for 856.1620
(for example), and sometimes the licensee doesn't notice (if there are muliple
channels).  We had LOTS of fun straightening those out!

Alan T.

In a message dated 4/9/2003 4:39:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

     One thing for sure, thing's aren't going to get better until NEXTEL
     reviews their licensing practices.

     For the second time this year we caught them licensing with incorrect
     coordinates allowing them to short-space (by less than 8 miles) and
     possibly begin operations on 15 existing public safety 800 MHz
     frequencies in the County.  (I say possibly because I didn't get a
     clear answer from NEXTEL if the site is on or not or if these channels
     were operational, but one of the agencies has been dealing with
     constant interference for the better part of 2 months.)  Now of course
     this was blamed on a typo and I probably agree, but heck one typo can
     have catastrophic consequences to the existing user.  Now this isn't
     the first site that NEXTEL has in this area and they should have some
     type of check (other than ITA who does nothing except collect NEXTELS
     money) to see if the coordinates and physical address are reasonably
     close.

     Now I know that this is a change in topic, but 3 times is the past 2
     years??  This is getting a little out of control and of course APCO
     was of no help when we contacted them the first time for their
     assistance.  I do need to add that  NEXTEL was apologetic and canceled
     the licenses in a reasonable amount of time and I commend them for it,
     but  should I have to check my licenses every 30 days for
     encroachment?  Somehow I don't think so.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/