Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Adelstein Reveals Wireless Spectrum Agenda

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:22:06 -0400

Adelstein Reveals Wireless Spectrum Agenda
BY SUE MAREK
APRIL 10, 2003

Louisville, Colo. -- In his first public address focusing on wireless
communications,
newly appointed FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein yesterday outlined his
'framework for innovation,' a plan he says 'combines industry with a light
regulatory touch' to provide the maximum support for wireless services.

Adelstein, who was the featured speaker at the Silicon Flatirons
Telecommunications Program at StorageTek Corp.'s headquarters just outside
Boulder, Colo., opened his speech by alluding to FCC Chairman Michael Powell's
visit to the same group last November, in which Powell unveiled his plans to
revamp the commission's 90-year-old spectrum policy. 'Boulder seems to be
where the commissioners show up to make their big wireless speeches. So here I
am.'

While Adelstein commended Chairman Powell and the Spectrum Policy Task Force
for undertaking what he calls a 'Herculean task' of revamping the existing
spectrum policy, he also said he doesn't agree with every aspect of the plan.
And
while he declined to point out specific areas of dissent, he did provide some
insight into what he believes should be the guiding principals of spectrum
policy.
Just as a greenhouse cultivates growth, Adelstein says, the commission should
foster innovation.

Taking a cue from the FCC's successes with handling new technologies such as
direct broadcast satellite, Wi-Fi and PCS, Adelstein says the FCC should support

technologies that operate in both licensed and unlicensed spectrum and 'not
assume that only unlicensed technologies are innovative.'

He also suggested that however the FCC make spectrum available, it should not
give up permanent property rights. The commission should always retain authority

and flexibility to regulate the rights of both licenses and users, Adelstein
said.

Likewise, he said that while the FCC needs to be mindful of harmful
interference,
the commission should be careful to not let a 'lot of frivolous claims' get in
the
way of its spectrum policy.

Adelstein promoted the idea of providing incentives to those that use their
spectrum efficiently and the imposing of a 'spectrum user fee' on those that do
not. He also suggested the FCC encourage a more robust and healthy secondary
market by accommodating new technologies.

On the buildout front, he suggested the FCC rethink its existing rules for
exclusive
services, saying that 'a 10-year build-out deadline is a lifetime' because it
undercuts the ability of others to get unused spectrum.

And while Adelstein admits that spectrum auctions may not be the perfect, he
says he doesn't believe they will go away anytime soon and in the meantime he
suggests the FCC take a closer look at some of its auction rules, specifically
those
used to determine bidding credits.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=04/10/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/