Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hands On San Francisco Begins Countdown to Fifth Annual Day of Volunteerism on May 10th

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:48:41 -0500

April 03, 2003 11:00 AM  EST, Eastern US

Hands On San Francisco Begins Countdown to Fifth Annual Day of Volunteerism on May 10th

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 3, 2003--
  Largest daylong volunteer event expected to attract 1,500 and contribute 6,000 hours of
community service, benefiting more than 40 organizations in San Francisco

Hands On San Francisco (Hands On), a non-profit volunteer organization, announced today
that The Home Depot(R) has donated $20,000 to support activities for the fifth annual
Hands On San Francisco Day. The event will take place on Saturday, May 10 and is one of
San Francisco's largest annual citywide volunteer days.

Held each spring, Hands On San Francisco Day is a single day of community service that
brings together more than 1,500 people, including representatives of San Francisco
corporations, community leaders and individual teams of volunteers. This will be the
fourth consecutive year that Home Depot has supported the event. Last year, Home Depot
provided one of the largest volunteer groups, with more than 75 associates from local
stores -- with plans for a larger turnout this year.

"Home Depot and its area associates are committed to giving back to the communities we
serve," said Bruce Merino, West Coast Divisional President of Home Depot. "We are proud to
support this daylong celebration of volunteerism. In addition to our associate volunteers,
we are pleased to make a financial commitment that helps equip Hands On volunteers with
tools and resources to complete community projects."

Volunteers will paint schools, repair houses for low-income residents, refurbish parks and
playgrounds, plant trees and gardens, box groceries, and prepare meals for the needy.
Volunteer projects will take place throughout all 11 districts in San Francisco. This
single day of service is also Hands On's largest fundraiser, providing resources to help
the organization engage 4,500 volunteers throughout the year in completing more than 60
community projects each month.

More than 1,500 volunteers are expected to contribute 6,000 hours of community service
during Hands On San Francisco Day. At last year's event, more than 1,000 volunteers
completed 39 community service projects throughout San Francisco. Since Hands On San
Francisco Day has been in existence, 141 community programs have benefited, more than
200,000 dollars have been raised, and more than 15,000 hours of community service have
been completed over the past four years.

"Hands On is so pleased to have Home Depot's continued support of Hands On San Francisco
Day," said Jessica Russell, Executive Director, Hands On San Francisco. "Home Depot's
involvement over the past four years has played an integral role in helping us grow the
event, as well as supporting our expanding programs throughout the year. Hands On could
not make the impact we do on the San Francisco community without our key corporate
partners, like Home Depot."

Home Depot will be the honorary chair of the event, for the second consecutive year. Other
corporate sponsors of the event include Swinerton Builders, Nextel, Bank of America,
Plumtree Software, CT Corporation, Digitas, Visa, Deutsche Bank Securities, Starbucks,
KOIT Radio, Sports Basement, San Francisco Business Times, SF Weekly, Hewlett-Packard,
Wells Fargo, Charles Schwab, Web Laundry, and FowlerFlanagan Partners.

Hands On San Francisco Day is one example of how Hands On creates, manages and leads
volunteer projects that benefit hundreds of non-profit agencies in San Francisco by
mobilizing human resources to address unmet community needs. Hands On San Francisco Day
promotes a volunteer ethic and provides an opportunity for busy individuals, corporations
and nonprofits to join together for one day of service and complete much-needed projects
for the San Francisco community.

For more information on Hands On San Francisco Day 2003, including sponsorship details and
how to register as an individual volunteer for the event, go to www.hosf.org, email
[email-masked] or call 415/541-9616.

About Hands On San Francisco

Founded in 1994, Hands On San Francisco (Hands On) is a non-profit volunteer organization
dedicated to helping busy individuals make a positive impact on their community. Hands On
creates, manages and leads volunteer projects that benefit more than 150 San Francisco
agencies, including: the San Francisco Food Bank, Glide Memorial Church, Hamilton Family
Center, Ronald McDonald House, SF AIDS Foundation, and the San Francisco Department of
Recreation & Parks. Each month, Hands On coordinates and manages more than 60 community
service projects that engage more than 4,500 registered volunteers each year. All projects
are coordinated by a volunteer project coordinator and require no more than a few hours
commitment. Held each spring, Hands On San Francisco Day is a single day of service to the
City. In 2002, more than 1,000 volunteers completed 39 community service projects in the
11 districts of San Francisco, all in one day. Hands On also organizes and manages
projects for corporations that want to inspire their employees to public service, such as
Deutsche Bank, Gap, Inc., Macy's, Starbucks and Digitas. Hands On San Francisco is part of
CityCares -- an international alliance of more than 30 volunteer organizations working to
build community through service and civic engagement. For more information about Hands On
San Francisco, visit www.hosf.org.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=NEWS_VIEW_TYPE&newsId=20030403005178&newsLang=en&beanID=2133606841&viewID=news_view

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/