Subject: [NEXTEL-1] INTUG - Mobile Number Portability

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 10:49:53 -0500

http://www.intug.net/mnp/
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Mobile number portability

INTUG strongly supports mobile number portability. See our position paper on numbering.

For other issues on mobile telecommunications click
here.

Year

Countries

1997

Singapore

1998

United Kingdom

1999

Hong Kong SAR

2000

Spain,

2001

Australia, Denmark, Italy, Norway,

2002

2002

Belgium, Germany,

2003 actual

France,

2003 forecast

USA, Ireland,

2004 forecast

not known

Austria, Finland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal,

not available

New Zealand,
Canada,

European Union

From July 2003, the applicable directive will be the Universal Service
and Users' Rights Directive (2002/??/EC):

Article 30 - Number portability

1. Member States shall ensure that all subscribers of publicly available
telephone services, including mobile services, who so request can retain
their number(s) independently of the undertaking providing the service:

(a) in the case of geographic numbers, at a specific location; and

(b) in the case of non-geographic numbers, at any location.

This paragraph does not apply to the porting of numbers between networks
providing services at a fixed location and mobile networks.

2. National regulatory authorities shall ensure that pricing for interconnection
related to the provision of number portability is cost oriented and that
direct charges to subscribers, if any, do not act as a disincentive for the
use of these facilities.

3. National regulatory authorities shall not impose retail tariffs for
the porting of numbers in a manner that would distort competition, such
as by setting specific or common retail tariffs.

The relevant sections of the recitals are:

(40) Number portability is a key facilitator of consumer choice
and effective competition in a competitive telecommunications environment
such that end-users who so request should be able to retain their number(s)
on the public telephone network independently of the organisation providing
service. The provision of this facility between connections to the public
telephone network at fixed and non-fixed locations is not covered by this
Directive. However, Member States may apply provisions for porting numbers
between networks providing services at a fixed location and mobile networks

.

(41) The impact of number portability is considerably strengthened when
there is transparent tariff information, both for end-users who port their
numbers and also for end-users who call those who have ported their numbers.
National regulatory authorities should, where feasible,

facilitate appropriate tariff transparency as part of the implementation
of number portability.

(42) When ensuring that pricing for interconnection related to the provision
of number portability is cost-oriented, national regulatory authorities
may also take account of prices available in comparable markets.

European Commission

European Telecommunications Office - ETO

Report on Number Portability for Mobile Networks

http://www.eto.dk/numbering/R14-MNP.htm

European Telecommunications Standardisation Institute - ETSI

ETSI TR 101 118: "Network Aspects (NA); High Level Network Architecture
and Solutions to support Number Portability".

ETSI TR 101 119: "Network Aspects (NA); High level description of number
portability".

ETSI TR 101 122: "Network Aspects (NA); Numbering and addressing for Number
Portability".

ETSI TR 101 697: "Number Portability Task Force (NPTF); Guidance on choice
of network solutions for service provider portability for geographic and
non-geographic numbers".

ETSI TR 102 081: "Network Aspects (NA); Number Portability Task Force (NPTF);
Signalling requirements to support number portability".

ETSI EG 201 367: "Intelligent Network (IN); Number Portability Task Force
(NPTF); IN and Intelligence Support for Service Provider Number Portability".

GSM 03.66 V7.2.0 and 3GPP 23066-310

Austria

RTR - NRA

http://www.rtr.at/web.nsf/deutsch/Telekommunikation_Nummerierung_Nationale%20Nummern?OpenDocument

Belgium

To be available from 1/1/02

http://www.belgsm.com/journal/article2001/telecom180301.htm

BELTUG

en français http://www.beltug.be/pages/Pdfs/PortabiliteNMobiles.pdf

Vlaamse http://www.beltug.be/pages/Pdfs/Mobnroverdraagbaarheid.pdf

http://www.bipt.be/Actualites/Communications/25092002_N.htm

http://www.bipt.be/Actualites/Communications/25092002.htm

Denmark

8-2-2001 Executive Order on Full Number Portability

http://www.itst.dk/legislation/exec_1044_2000_numberportabili.htm  (no
longer works)

Telestyrelsen

http://www.itst.dk/

The operators have information on their sites in Danish.

Finland

Ficora - NRA

http://www.ficora.fi/englanti/tele/puhelinnumeron_siirrettavyys.htm

France

La portabilité des numéros mobiles

http://www.art-telecom.fr/dossiers/pnm/index-d.htm

Results of the consultations (in English) 10/2000

http://www.art-telecom.fr/publications/resportabili-gb.htm

Germany

Available from 1/1/02

http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/540.gsmbox

http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/archives/month_all_laws.2000.05.00.gsmbox

http://www.regtp.de/reg_tele/start/in_05-06-03-00-00_m/index.html

die Netzbetreiberportabilität im Mobilfunk (MNP)

http://www.regtp.de/reg_tele/start/in_05-06-03-12-00_m/fs.html

http://www.regtp.de/reg_tele/00340/3/index.html

Ireland

Consultation begun, should be available late-2002

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/pres141100.doc

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/pres260101.doc

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/pres150501a.doc

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2001/0515/odtr.html

Mobile Number Portability Committee

http://www.odtr.ie/industry/default.asp?s=4&navid=53&nid=100196

Italy

From 30/06/01

Delibera n. 12/01/CIR Disposizioni in tema di portabilità del numero
tra operatori del servizio di comunicazione mobile e personale (mobile
number  portability)

http://www.agcom.it/provv/d_12_01_CIR.htm

http://it.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/33583.gsmbox

Five operators come to an agreement on number portability (Number portability,
patto a cinque) Feb 22, 2002, La Stampa . Italian mobile phone operators
TIM, Omnitel, Wind, Blu and Ipse have reached an agreement on number portability,
which enables customers to....

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=25433174&i=470004&m=1&d=2330807

Italy's antitrust authority is urging the telecom regulator to impose number
portability on mobile operators saying that allowing users to switch operators
while keeping the same number would promote competition. (AFX)

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=65843675&i=444571&d=2171566

Luxembourg

ILR - NRA

http://www.etat.lu/ILR/content.html

Décision 00/36/ILT du 23 mai 2000, Portabilité de numéros
téléphoniques [fixed numbers only]

http://www.etat.lu/ILR/tele/decis/0036.html

Netherlands

Available

http://www.opta.nl/index2.asp?id=3

http://www.minvenw.nl/dgtp/indexeng.html

A strategic numbering review

http://www.minvenw.nl/dgtp/home/data/scriptgifs/964538418-1.pdf

Richtlijn rapportage nummerportabiliteit (Richtsnoer, 13 maart 2003)

http://www.opta.nl/download/richtlijn_np.pdf

Richtlijn rapportage nummerportabiliteit (OPTA, 2 juli 2001)

http://www.opta.nl/download/richt_rap_np_020701.pdf

Aanpassing beleidsregels nummerportabiliteit mobiele telefonie

http://www.opta.nl/download/aanpassing_beleidsregels_np.pdf

Portugal

Autoridade Nacional de Comunicações - NRA

http://www.anacom.pt/

Spain

Since 1/12/00

http://fr.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/22183.gsmbox

CMT - NRA

Numbering - see portabilidad

http://www.cmt.es/cmt/centro_info/numeracion/index.htm

Sweden

http://www.nada.kth.se/~sam/Telecom/numbering.html

http://www.pts.se/index_eng.asp?avdelning=hem_english&language=eng

United Kingdom

Since July 1998

http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications/1999/numbering/mnp1199.htm

Number Portability in the Mobile Telephony Market – July 1997

http://www.oftel.gov.uk/ind_info/numbering/noport.htm

Competition Commisison:

Telephone number portability: A report on a reference under section 13
of the Telecommunications Act 1984

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/reports/374telephone.htm

Norway

NPT - NRA

http://www.npt.no/servlet/page?_pageid=140&_dad=web&_schema=PORTAL30

According to a statement from NRA, mobile number portability had to be
be implemented by Nov. 1st 2001.

Switzerland

RS 784.101.112/1 Portabilité des numéros entre fournisseurs
de service de télécommunication

http://www.bakom.ch/imperia/md/content/francais/telecomdienste/18.pdf

Communiqué de presse OFCOM Portabilité des numéros
entre fournisseurs de services de télécommunication

http://www.bakom.ch/fr/medieninfo/medienmitteilungen/bakom/artikel/00513/index.html

European Telecommunications Network Operators - ETNO

Reflection Document "Comments on the ETO 2nd interim report on Number portability
for mobile networks"

http://www.etno.be/RD/RD112.html

ETNO Reflection Document "Comments on the ETO 1st interim report on Number
portability for mobile networks"

http://www.etno.be/RD/RD104I.html

Americas

Canada

THE SCOPE OF INTERIM LOCAL NUMBER PORTABILITY

One of the objectives of the Group was to define the scope of interim
local number portability ...

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/cisc/COMMITTE/R-docs/Report10.doc

Telecom Decision CRTC 99-12

Microcell - Application for Mandated Wireless Number Portability

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1999/DT99-12.HTM

WIRELESS’ PARTICIPATION IN AN INTERIM LNP ARRANGEMENT ISSUE What should
be the involvement of wireless service providers in an interim ...

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/cisc/COMMITTE/R-docs/Report09.doc

Telecom Order CRTC 99-5

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Orders/1999/O99-5.htm

Order CRTC 2000-143 / Ordonnance CRTC 2000-143

Local competition start-up and LNP costs established

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Orders/2000/O2000-143.htm

Roll-Out of Local Number Portability

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/cisc/eng/Portable.HTM

USA - Federal Communications Commission

2002 Biennial Regulatory Review; Staff Report; of the Wireless Telecommunications
Bureau

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-129A1.pdf

(d) Local Number Portability (LNP)

16. In 2002, the Commission adopted an order extending the wireless
LNP iimplementation deadline for a period of one year, until November 24,
2003, to allow adequate time to resolve all outstanding wireless LNP implementation
issues, including training personnel and other non-technical tasks, and
critically, public safety coordination. Further, the extension allows wireless
carriers to focus on the successful implementation of thousands-block number
pooling and will reduce the burdens and potential risks associated with
the simultaneous implementation of thousands-block number pooling and porting.
The Commission declined to forbear completely from applying the wireless
LNP rules because it determined that they are necessary to preserve consumer
choice and enhance competition among CMRS carriers and between the wireless
and wireline industries.

Verizon Wireless’s Petition for Partial Forbearance from the Commercial
Mobile Radio Services Number Portability Obligation, WT Docket No. 01-184,
Memorandum Opinion & Order, 17 FCC Rcd 14972 (2002).

FCC Addresses Number Portability Implementation Issue

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/1997/nrcc7060.html

USA - MNP

Large U.S. wireless companies are asking the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) to revoke a requirement that they allow customers to keep their phone
numbers when they change carriers. Under the current FCC rule, this local
number portability requirement must be met starting Nov. 24. The big carriers
say meeting the requirement would be expensive and technically complex.
Smaller U.S. carriers, who want to attract customers away from the bigger
companies, say that without number portability, it is easier for the big
companies to hold on to their customers. (Los Angeles Times)

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=65843675&i=449429&m=1&d=2200616

If number portability is ever required from U.S. wireless carriers, it
won't increase their churn rates over the long term but should lead to
more wireline numbers being switched for wireless services, telecom market
equity analysts at Goldman Sachs [GS] expect.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fct%2Fct02040206%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&SourceQueryZip=%28%28fon%29%3Cin%3Epublication%29%3Cand%3E%28bbn%2C%2Cecn%2Cgpnn%2Cfon%2Cis%2Csatn%2Cst%2Cvia%2Cwdn%2Cwin%2Cctw%29%3Cin%3Epublication&Collection=sites&Collection=archive&SortSpec=date+desc&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wdn.hts

Australia

From 25 September 2001

ACCC

http://www.accc.gov.au/telco/num_port.html

ACA

Report on technical options

http://www.sma.gov.au/number/portability/accmnp.htm

ACIF Code on MNP

http://www.acif.org.au/ACIF/files/C570_June01.pdf

According to Australia's government telecom regulator, 90,000 Australians
have switched cellular service providers after being given the ability to
keep the same phone number. Number portability was introduced in Australia
over two months ago. (FT)

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=65843675&i=424886&d=2063630

Hong Kong

Since 1/3/99

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/199902/23/0223084.htm

http://www.ofta.gov.hk/ca_bd/mnp.html

Japan

http://www.gii.co.jp/english/ov5531_mn_number_portability.html

New Zealand

Singapore

Since 1/4/97

IDA Determines Inter-Operator Number Portablity Charges

http://www.ida.gov.sg/website/IDAContent.nsf/14899db7846d2bcc482568360017c696/c1df37fe1924cc89c82568b300300ccc?OpenDocument

Number Portability in Singapore - The Technical Approach

http://www.ida.gov.sg/website/IDAContent.nsf/dd1521f1e79ecf3bc825682f0045a340/3e6cde56284ba2e9c825683a0010d4da/$FILE/Number+Portability_the+technical+approach.PDF

Methodology for Determining Fixed and Mobile Inter-operator Number Portability
Charges

http://www.ida.gov.sg/website/IDAContent.nsf/dd1521f1e79ecf3bc825682f0045a340/3e6cde56284ba2e9c825683a0010d4da/$FILE/Methodology+for+Determining+Number+Portability+Charges.PDF

Report on IDA's Determination of Fixed and Mobile Inter-operator Number
Portability Charges

http://www.ida.gov.sg/website/IDAContent.nsf/dd1521f1e79ecf3bc825682f0045a340/3e6cde56284ba2e9c825683a0010d4da/$FILE/IDA's+Determination+on+Number+Portability+Charges.pdf

Number Portability Working Group (NPWG)

http://www.ida.gov.sg/website/IDAContent.nsf/14899db7846d2bcc482568360017c696/9672aefed6f1be6e48256b370015f3b1?OpenDocument

Information from around the world: http://www.ported.com/world.htm

INTUG

Position paper Numbers
and Numbering [INTUG 2001/05]

Nick White speech "Users and numbers" at Numbering 2001 11 June
2001, Barbican, London. slides

Speech by
Executive Director on International mobile roaming charges at ITU 3G Licensing
Workshop 18-19 September, Geneva.

copyright © INTUG, 2003.

http://www.intug.net/mnp/

This pages is maintained by
the webmaster.

Last updated 25 March 2003.