Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ***NEWS FLASH*** Motorola Buys Softswitch, Push-to-Talk Developer Winphoria

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:00:44 -0400

Motorola Buys Softswitch, Push-to-Talk Developer Winphoria
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
APRIL 15, 2003

Consolidation in the wireless equipment sector took another step forward today
with Motorola's deal to acquire privately held Winphoria Networks, which has
developed a 'push-to-talk' technology similar to the flagship feature of
Motorola's iDEN platform.

The companies would not disclose terms of the buyout of three-year-old
Winphoria, although Motorola said it intended an all-cash purchase.

In announcing the deal Motorola focused on Winphoria's packet-based mobile
switching centers for wireless networks, which it plans to fold into its Global
Telecom Solutions Sector to augment its existing wireless network lineup. The
company, which has been a reseller of Winphoria soft switches since last August,
says Winphoria's soft-switch technology adds core functionality that Motorola
has lacked for some time in its infrastructure lineup.

'We believe soft-switch technology has the potential to impact the wireless
networking industry,' states Adrian Nemcek, executive vice president of Motorola
and president and CEO of the GTSS business unit. 'The acquisition of Winphoria -
and its more than 100 highly skilled associates - will strengthen GTSS' value
proposition by enabling us to offer operators an enhanced portfolio of network
systems in addition to recently announced offerings of network management
services and application and integration solutions.'

But Motorola's also getting Winphoria's skills in developing mobile network
applications, including push to talk for CDMA- and GSM-based networks. Winphoria
purportedly has been working with Sprint on a push-to-talk application for its
CDMA 1XRTT network, which would become a competitor to the distinctive Direct
Connect push to talk feature of Nextel Communications, which relies on Motorola
for its own iDEN network technology.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=04/15/03

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/