Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CISCO offers W-LAN handset with VoIP

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:32:41 -0400

Cisco to release WLAN mobile handset

April 28, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif.

Cisco has announced plans to introduce a wireless local area
network mobile handset later this year. While details of the exact
launch date and pricing are still to be confirmed, the device is
expected to be available in the United States before
it reaches the European market.

The phone, known as the Cisco Wireless Internet Protocol Phone
7920, operates with the infrastructure of the company's Aironet
series IEEE 802.11b compliant access points.

The handset will be aimed at corporate customers, allowing them to
facilitate mobile communications among employees without having to
connect to mobile networks. WLANs are an attractive proposition
for companies based on large campus-type sites. Vodafone Ireland
has just implemented a WLAN solution at its new headquarters in
Dublin.

Cisco said the first version of the 7920 will use the 802.11b WLAN
standard. However, subsequent versions are expected to be able to
connect to GSM networks.

"The easy-to-use Cisco 7920 provides employees in hospitals,
warehouses, retail stores, universities and other highly mobile
work environments with reliable access to IP communications
systems, anywhere in the workplace at anytime," said Cisco.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=8284

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/