Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Snaps Up Winphoria

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:44:19 -0400

April 15, 2003
Motorola Snaps Up Winphoria
By boston.internet.com Staff

Plugging a hole in its network infrastrucutre line, wireless handset maker
Motorola (Quote, Company Info) is buying soft-switch maker Winphoria Networks.
The price was not disclosed.

After the deal closes, probably during the second quarter, Winphoria will be
folded into Motorola's Global Telecom Solutions Sector (GTSS) unit.

GTSS will be able to provide less expensive, yet more versatile, switching to
operators as they move to systems that support integrated voice, data and video
applications, Motorola said.

"(The move) benefits our carrier customers and prospects by helping them reduce
operating costs, and by offering them a software-driven switch that can be
easily upgraded and enhanced at lower cost," said Christopher B. Galvin,
Motorola's CEO.

Soft-switches can work with 2G and 3G networks simultaneously and require less
room, less power and can be deployed much more quickly than traditional legacy
circuit switches.

Last year, Motorola GTSS announced a equipment deal with Winphoria. Through that
relationship the first commercial trial of the Winphoria soft- switch, branded
the Motorola Soft-Switch (MSS) began in Asia. Customer trials are currently
underway.

"We see this combination as the ideal way to bring our pioneering technology to
the global marketplace," said Mike Champa, Winphoria's president and CEO.

Winphoria was founded in March 2000. The Tewksbury, Mass., firm is privately
held and venture-backed. About 100 Winphoria employees will join Motorola GTSS.

The acquisition follows Schaumburg, Ill.-based Motorola's pick up of Next Level
Communications.

http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/2191321

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/