Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 911

From: "Gerald Arnone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:06:23 -0500

Oh boy, have posed a doosey of a quesiton.

Join the "nextel-1" group at Yahoo.  The skinny on provative or
controversial issues like rampant public safety interference, e-911, number
portability, can be had there.  There's 5x the members as this list and it's
loaded with (in alphabetic order): attorneys, dealers, developers,
engineers, Nextel Execs, SMR guys...

To answer your question: you need GPS enabled handset and the carriers and
public safety agencies need loads of backend software and hardware.
Interoperability is the issue.

The infrastructure does not exist to say: "He is near that tower" within any
reasonable amount of time.  So at present, you need human intervention.  If
you think of  big boxes at various parts of the city.  They're called CO's
(central offices).  All the 10-digit numbers, landline or otherwise, are
stored in those boxes.  That's "where" you are.  All the time.

The FCC is mandating the carriers to pinpoint within about 30 or maybe 50
yards.  As a wireless user, you have been paying for this every month for
perhaps a year.  The carriers are allowed to pre-coup the cost.  You pay for
it by way of some junk or otherwise buried cost in your bill.

The solution you seek will arrive at the tune of hundred of millions of
dollars.  You will no longer be required to communicate your last known
whereabouts or present condition when you call 911.  You won't have to say,
"I've fallen and I can't get up."  You won't even have to call.   They'll
always know where you are.

Does the govenment bear the sole responsibility of our peronal well-being
and survival?  Apparantly so.  ~  [email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 9:32 AM
Subject: [Nextel] Digest Number 530

>
> There are 2 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
>       1. questions
>            From: JEFFREY MICHAEL KENYON <[email-masked]>
>       2. Service Questions
>            From: "Josh F." <[email-masked]>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________________
> ________________________________________________________________________
>
> Message: 1
>    Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:09:43 -0400 (EDT)
>    From: JEFFREY MICHAEL KENYON <[email-masked]>
> Subject: questions
>
> Hi everyone.  I aam in Michigan and I just have a few questions about my
> serice, and possibly obtaining work with Nextel.  I'll go with my service
> questions first though.
> About two weeks ago when I was in Detroit I had the need to call 911.  I
> was a bit surprised when my call first went to the Michigan State Police
> and then when I gave them my location in Detroit they transferred my call
> on to Detroit PD.  Usually, when you call 911 in Detroit it goes to a call
> taker, but the person who took my call in Detroit sounded just like a
> radio dispatcher I have heard in Detroit  Since I gave my location they
> could have transferred me to that person's dispatch district, but I kind
> of doubt it, but could they have?  I'm also surprised as well, because a
> big push around here is to just route all the 911 calls from cell phones
> to the nearest 911 center.  Does anyone know where this is with Nextel in
> Michigan?  I was near the medical center when I had to make this call.
> I also am wondering where or how I could find work with Nextel in
> technical support or writing?  Any help would be great, and thanks in
> advance and have a great day.
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/