Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Real World Results of Life-Saving Technologies on Display at ITS America 2003, May 19-22

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:50:08 -0400

Intelligent Transportation Society of America

Vol. 13, No. 4, April 2003
FEATURE ARTICLE

Real World Results of Life-Saving Technologies on Display at ITS America 2003, May 19-22

The ITS Technology that helped save a police officer's life will be on display May
19-22 at ITS America's 13th Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, MN. The Public Safety
Pavilion will feature the police vehicle that crashed and automatically called for help,
along with other impressive exhibits highlighting valuable police and emergency
response vehicle technologies.

Greater Harris County Emergency
Communications Center (Houston, TX) will
exhibit a police vehicle equipped with
Automatic Crash Notification (ACN) that
helped save the life of the officer driving
when the vehicle was totaled in a crash. By
automatically contacting emergency service
providers upon impact, the ACN system
saved critical time, speeding aid to the
unconscious driver.

ACN aids rollover victim

When the crash occurred, the vehicle's prototype crash detection module
immediately established voice contact with the telematics service providers call
center which, noting that the driver was unconscious, contacted the Pasadena, TX
911 Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). Armed with special software, the
telematics provider's national call center was able to make this 911 call just as if it
was calling from a local Pasadena phone, thus avoiding the typical delays of having
to call a ten digit number and be routed through to the 911 center. Total time from
crash to 911 notification was less than 35 seconds.

The vehicle is part of a 500 police vehicle fleet
program equipped with the capability to send routing
information and accident notification directly to the
PSAP at the Greater Harris County Emergency
Communications Center in Houston, TX. Themed
"ITS: Real World, Real Results," this year's show is all
about showing such real world benefits of ITS. From
life-saving technologies to infrared non-contact
roadbed weather sensors, ITS America 2003 has
everything that makes transportation safer, faster, and
smarter.

For full exposition details, visit:
http://www.itsa.org/annualmeeting.html.

Telematics: Protecting Those Who Serve and Protect
Visteon Corporation, a leader in automotive
systems integration, will demonstrate how an
integrated, single command and control module
can improve police officer safety and efficiency.
Visteon's TACNET integrated solution makes
police vehicles safer by eliminating or moving
electronic devices from the passenger
compartment to the trunk, while providing touch
screen or voice activated access to as many as
five emergency response communications
devices, lights, siren, radar, patrol, video, and
AM/FM radio functions. All this electronic
equipment, centralized through an in-dash
control screen, also provides complete mobile
data functionality.

Visteon's TACNET system with control pod
and interoperable screen for voice-activation
of 5 radios, siren, and lights.

Designed with the cooperation of law enforcement agencies, TACNET can help
officers save lives by providing interoperability, a heads-up-display, and a
voice-controlled interface supported by an ergonomically designed control pod for
mission critical functions. This control pod is seat-level mounted and provides
intuitive fingertip control of siren, lights, emergency officer notification and radio
controls.

Tele Atlas, a worldwide leading provider of digital map databases and real-time
traveler information, will exhibit True Time Maps, which sets a new standard for
navigation, telematics and location-based services applications. It is the first product
available for these industries that offers a navigation map database directly linked
with nationwide (U.S.) dynamic content to deliver real-time route calculations and
enable dynamic rerouting.

In addition to driving information and navigation functionality, users can obtain
real-time reporting of traffic delays, accidents, speed, weather impact, construction
activities and special events. The Tele Atlas True Time Maps product solves one of
the biggest challenges for the navigation, telematics and location-based services
markets by providing, through a single source, information that consumers will use
every day.

The Lighter Side of Signs
AVVA Light Corporation will be launching an innovative new product at the
Minneapolis show, an illuminated street sign using LED Solid State Lighting
technology is the first of it's kind in the American market. The benefits of energy
efficiency illumination and no maintenance costs are just two of the key features of
this signage.
Providing illuminated street name and regulatory
signs, this solution use thermally managed 12V LED
technology. Illumination source is totally maintenance
free during their life expectancy of between 50,000 to
100,000 hours. The operating range is between
–22ºF to +140ºF (-30ºC to +60ºC). Complies with
AASHTO specifications of 150-mph winds. Standard
sizes are 12" to 96" long and 12.75" to 36" high.

AVVA's illuminated street sign.

Sensing Road Conditions
System Innovations introduces SurfaceWatch(tm), a non-contact roadbed sensor
using infrared technology. This new sensor determines if the pavement is wet/dry,
ice/snow covered, the temperature and whether chemicals are present.
SurfaceWatch(tm) replaces the embedded roadway sensors in the Road Weather
Information System (RWIS)/ITS Market.

Smile – You're on ITS Camera
A variety of cutting-edge video products for ITS will be on display at ITS America
2003, including standards-based IP-centric solutions, motion detection video,
control center signalization for stopped vehicles, and on-vehicle surveillance.

Core Tec Communications announces the VCX-2400 system, a complete
hardware-software package for transmitting video (CCTV) signals over IP networks.
Decoding and subsequent CCTV/ PC monitor viewing is provided by hardware
decoders or Core Tec's Video Watchdog software, which also features software
transcoding to Windows Media and Real Player formats.

Bosch will display its AutoTrack™ motion tracker, which goes beyond typical
motion detection.
AutoTrack monitors an area with a preset tour. Once motion is detected, the camera
automatically locks onto the subject, zooms in, and follows the subject anywhere
within the 360-degree camera coverage area. When connected to a recording
device, at the time motion is detected by AutoTrack, the recorder beings recording
uninterrupted video concentrating on where the movement has taken place.

GESPAC will announce Securbus™; a complete on-vehicle video surveillance
solution utilizing wavelet compression technology and GPS to stamp event location
and time. Combined with a dedicated base station for viewing, the rugged,
on-board Securbus video surveillance platform is ideally suited to help
transportation authorities and integrators add security through mobile surveillance.

Citilog will introduce a new product to its Video Detection product line: VisioPaD.
Designed and developed with Traffic Management Centers, the system addresses
the fact that traffic operator cannot address efficiently data provided by all the
cameras of their continuously expanding CCTV systems.

The Citilog VisioPaD is an Advanced Video Management System that automatically
signals any stopped vehicle in the field of view of Video Surveillance cameras.
VisioPaD operates on Pan-Tilt-Zoom cameras, does not require any setup or
calibration and is up and running in a minute thus proving "plug and detect"
equipment. Advanced Video Management or Active Video Surveillance then
consists in a system working in the background on all pictures while the operators
are focusing on other tasks and are ready to take over in case of incident signaled
by the system.

Baxall Ltd., the UK's leading manufacturer of CCTV, and Evolve Technology
Group, a specialist in integration of data, voice and video equipment, will be
displaying the much anticipated Destiny™-IP video-over-network solutions.

Designed around Internet Protocol, Destiny™-IP can be used to send full-motion,
real-time, digital quality video, together with sound and data, across any network that
supports IP. Products in the range include cameras, a keyboard, recorder and
codec and a range of software applications designed with single and multi user
systems in mind. In the case of the latter, the newly launched Destiny™ CCTV Plus
will be on display at the show, which allows for 16 channels to be viewed and
recorded simultaneously, along with a new Destiny™-API (Application Program
Interface). Destiny™-API allows users to put analog CCTV images onto a network,
without the need for a PC.
Baxall continues works closely with Evolve Technology Group, a platinum level
Baxall Video Network Integrator and Cisco Systems to produce what they claim to
be the most reliable and digitally applicable transportation solution to ever hit the
international market.

Infinova will introduce its new large-scale video matrix switching system, the
V2040. The V2040 is currently Infinova's most powerful matrix switcher. With the
ability to accommodate up to 1,024 video inputs by 128 video outputs, it's an ideal
solution for large security systems that still need room for growth.

Infinova's V2040 features a high density, modular architecture that allows for easy
installation, operation and expansion. It also provides Ethernet system control and
networking capabilities. Now multi-building applications can be controlled via an
Ethernet Network with improved hierarchy functions.

A WIM-Win Situation
METTLER TOLEDO announces the launch of its model 9430 Slow Speed
Weigh-in-Motion (WIM) system. This system allows vehicles to be weighed while
crossing a WIM scale at speeds up to 20 mph, automatically checking for weight
violations, and controling traffic lights or gates. Vehicle data is stored and
communicated to a remote PC, with multiple reporting options.

What're You Doing With My Vehicle? (Asset Management)
New Boundary Technologies will exhibit RADIEM, which gives transportation
companies a real-time, easy-to-implement, cost-effective way to monitor, predict,
control and react to existing or changing conditions on mobile or remote equipment.
Measure idle time, monitor cargo environments, download fault codes, reset
performance parameters, change passwords, even determine speed and location
with this comprehensive, Web-based solution.

Signaling Traffic Signals - Remotely
ENCOM announces the expansion of its
already popular Model 5100R Wireless
Rack Card radio to include the Model
5170 (RS232 version) and Model 5171
(FSK version) designed specifically to
fit inside the 170 Controller. This
replaces the internal modem thus
saving the cost of the modem, power
supply and Data cable. These new
Wireless Rack Card Radios along with
the ControlPAK™ software provide
unequaled wireless interconnect for any
type or model controller.

http://www.itsa.org/mn.nsf/0681b9290c7de1ee85256bf2000676c4/c1c488424c32f6d585256d0800583790?OpenDocument

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/