Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City cop cars go high-tech

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 04:07:34 -0400

City cop cars go high-tech
By BRIAN HAYNES Staff Writer

Annapolis police are taking high-tech on the road.

A new mobile computer system in patrol cars allows the city's finest to
check for stolen cars and wanted criminals at the touch of a button and
communicate without criminals eavesdropping on their conversations.

"There's no reason an officer shouldn't like (the computer) in the car,"
Officer Duane Daniels said. "It just makes your job easier."

The biggest advantage of the $330,000 Motorola system is that it allows
officers to check information on criminals, driver's licenses and vehicles
without involving dispatchers, who are often handling other calls and
requests, said Sgt. Brian Della, who oversees the project for the
department.

Without the computers, officers who want to check for an arrest warrant
must radio the dispatcher, relay the person's information and wait for the
dispatcher to check it and call back.

The process usually takes three to five minutes but can stretch longer,
depending on how busy the dispatcher is.

With the computers, the officer has the information in seconds.

"In situations where every second counts, this is an enormous benefit,"
Sgt. Della said.

The system, which runs on a secure wireless network, allows offi-
cers to check a variety of databases.

Sgt. Della said the system would have come in handy during the
Presidents Day snowstorm, because police had to tow a large number of
cars parked on emergency snow routes. Getting in touch with all of the
owners was an overwhelming task for the officers and dispatchers, he
said.

In the future, the computers will make that job a breeze, he said.

The system also allows dispatchers and officers to communicate with
text messages between computers. This feature will come in handy in a
number of situations, especially drug-dealing calls, because criminals can
intercept radio calls using a cheap scanner and leave the area before
police arrive, he said.

Other features include the ability to save documents, including the list of
people banned from Annapolis Housing Authority property and wanted
posters, on the computer for easy access.

Several other agencies around the state, including Prince George's and
Howard county police, use in-car computers, and the county plans to
put similar computers in its police cars.

City police activated their system about a month ago, and by the end of
this month will have 20 cars equipped with the computers.

They plan to add 10 more over the next couple of years before buying
laptop and handheld computers for detectives and foot patrol officers.

Officers must attend a brief training class before using the system, which
was paid for with grants, budgeted funds and money seized from drug
arrests.

Sgt. Della said the system gives officers the freedom to do more work
because they aren't burdening someone else.

Officer Daniels agreed.

"It makes you want to hustle more," he said.
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2003/04_11-25/TOP
---

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/