Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel in NYC on 9/11

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:04:27 EDT

I was in NYC that day and Direct Connect and the Phones worked great.  Nextel 
was the only way that we could conduct business for a few days, because we 
were to receive incoming calls and could not send calls out.  But out 
Nextel's worked like any other day.

26 World Series Championships 
New York Yankees

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:35:02 -0400

Were you in the effected area? Below 14th st west of 5th ave?

[email-masked] wrote:

> were to receive incoming calls and could not send calls out.  But out Nextel's
> worked like any other day.
>
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: "mark_valera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:12:27 -0000

I'm coming into this one a little late, but for those who are curious,
here is what I recall from that day:

0846 - Heading towards Manhattan from Queens after seeing the first
plane crash, I immediately went to DC a contact at FDNY HQ in downtown
Brooklyn.  Our conversations were approximately 90% successful.

0903 - Plane # 2 crashes.  DC'ing to people in Queens, Manhattan and
Brooklyn returns an approximate 75% success rate.  DC'ing from
Manhattan  to Brooklyn would occasionally give "Network Trouble,
Please Try Again 304" messages.

0915 - Grand Central Terminal Area - Attempted to reach my contact at
FDNY HQ at Metrotech.  The user was continually unavailable until he
DC's me.  When he does DC me, he comes in clearly until I get the
"bonk" cut off tone.  After that he is unreachable.  Other attempts to
DC from Manhattan to other outer boroughs were about as successful as
they normally would be.

10AM - Church & Chambers - Evacuation Time - Numerous "User
Unavailable" messages despite "full antenna strength bars".  Running
north, I run into one of the people I am trying to DC.  His handset
reads at full signal strength also.
This pattern would continue for the next three days or so. 
Occasionally DC would work wonderfully cross town, other times I'm
trying to get in touch with someone that I could see on the pile, but
we could not DC because of system activity, again the "Network
Trouble" error.  It's at this point we're really happy to have 5 watt
Sabers and numerous TAC channels.

In my humble opinion, I would say that DC was not a complete failure.
 It probably was better than any cellular phone service that morning.
 Does this mean that I would trust it unequivocally? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

In my earlier post, I was quoted as wishing for a TETRA like DMO mode.
 IDEN does have ISO, but that apparently only is enabled in the
relatively rare Advanced Feature Units.  It turns out my r750 isn't an
AFU, and Nextel doesn't actively promote the AFU's.  You would have to
go out of your way to get one.  Besides, how many of you would
**choose** to carry an r750 versus an i95cl?  Now, if  Moto's iDEN
group and/or Nextel adapt the MTP700 or the MTH500 TETRA handset for
iDEN use, we may have more takers.  In the mean time, it's the Saber
or Astro XTS for me!

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <Marcelrf@B...> wrote:
> JESNYY@a... wrote:
> >  I was in NYC that day and Direct Connect and the Phones worked great.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ZKLNcC/pEZFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/