Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Radio Amateurs Are Among the UN WFP "Fast Intervention Team"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:28:56 -0400

While various commercial and political interests squabble over which
"wireless" technology to use in Iraq's reconstruction (at US taxpayer
expense, no doubt), this...

"Several radio amateurs...are among United Nations World Food Program
(WFP) "Fast Intervention Team" (FITTEST) personnel already in Iraq or
poised nearby and expected to be inside the war-ravaged country very
soon.  FITTEST is responsible for building technical infrastructure to
ensure WFP can move relief food supplies rapidly and safely... FITTEST
also has a mandate to install or build basic technical
networks...including such systems as VHF repeaters, satellite
communications and HF fixed and mobile stations. The team also will set
up radio rooms, rework administrative procedures, and assign call signs
for all...humanitarian-aid workers and non-governmental organizations 
(NGOs)..." ARRL

Kind regards,
Alan, N3HOE

[Please copy replies to: [email-masked] <wpuc720[a]juno.com>]

Full Text:
==>HAMS ABOUND ON UN WORLD FOOD PROGRAM'S IRAQ "FAST INTERVENTION TEAM"

Several radio amateurs--including some of the world's top operators--are
among United Nations World Food Program (WFP) "Fast Intervention Team"
(FITTEST) personnel already in Iraq or poised nearby and expected to be
inside the war-ravaged country very soon. FITTEST is responsible for
building technical infrastructure to ensure WFP can move relief food
supplies rapidly and safely. Any ham radio operations would be secondary
to the WFP's efforts in Iraq, however.

Peter Casier, ON6TT--who's expected in Baghdad as early as next
week--says
the WFP will have a critical role in the post-conflict era in Iraq "where
60 percent of the population is dependent on external food aid." In ham
radio circles, Casier may be better-known as a top contester and one the
operators of Afghanistan's YA5T after the US-led military action there in
2001.

Other YA5T alumni expected to soon be in Iraq as part of the WFP effort
include Robert Kasca, S53R--the last UN international staff person
evacuated from Iraq before the conflict--Mark Demeuleneere, ON4WW, and
Mats Persson, SM7PKK. Casier and Demeuleneere paired up at World
Radiosport Team Championship (WRTC) events in 2000 and 2002. Kasca was
director of competition for WRTC 2000. Casier says he, Kasca and Dane
Novarlic, S57CQ, were on the air from Iraq until just before the war
broke
out.

Casier reports that Diya Sayah, YI1DZ--one of the primary operators at
the
Baghdad Radio Club's YI1BGD and the WFP's Baghdad telecommunications
officer--is safe and well in Iraq.

FITTEST also has a mandate to install or build basic technical networks,
Casier said, including such systems as VHF repeaters, satellite
communications and HF fixed and mobile stations. The team also will set
up
radio rooms, rework administrative procedures, and assign call signs for
all UN humanitarian-aid workers and non-governmental organizations
(NGOs)--other international aid organizations.

Others ready to go include Ed Giorgadze, 4L4FN, who's in Turkey. Until
last November Giorgadze had operated from North Korea as P5/4L4FN while
on
a WFP assignment in Pyongyang. Patrick Pointu, F5ORF, and Mark Tell,
VK4KMT, among several other FITTEST team members who are radio amateurs.

The Daily DX <http://www.dailydx.com> reported this week that Willie 
Mohney, YI/KV4EB, has been operating daily on 15 meters at or around 
21.270 MHz, moving to 20 meters--perhaps around 14.255.

-----
The ARRL Letter is published Fridays, 50 times each year, by the American
Radio Relay League--The National Association For Amateur Radio--225 Main
St, Newington, CT 06111; tel 860-594-0200; fax 860-594-0259;
<http://www.arrl.org>. Jim Haynie, W5JBP, President.

The ARRL Letter offers a weekly e-mail digest of essential news of
interest to active amateurs. The ARRL Letter strives to be timely,
accurate, concise, and readable. Visit ARRLWeb <http://www.arrl.org> for
the latest news, updated as it happens.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in whole
or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be
given to The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

==>Editorial questions or comments: Rick Lindquist, N1RL, [email-masked]
==>ARRL News on the Web: <http://www.arrl.org>

==>How to Get The ARRL Letter
The ARRL Letter is available to all, free of charge, from these sources:

* ARRLWeb <http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/>. (NOTE: The ARRL Letter will
be posted each Friday when it is distributed via e-mail.)

* The QTH.net listserver, thanks to volunteers from the Boston Amateur
Radio Club: Visit Mailing [email-masked]
<http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/letter-list>. (NOTE: The ARRL
cannot assist subscribers who receive The ARRL Letter via this
listserver.)

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/