Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PSAPs Eligible For Priority Program

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:40:32 -0400

PSAPs Eligible For Priority Program
BY MARK ROCKWELL
APRIL 25, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC and Department of Homeland Defense's National
Communications System are trying to get the word out to E911 system operators
that they're eligible to participate in an emergency communications priority
restoration program.

The two organizations, along with the leading safety and emergency response
organizations, are hoping to ensure that public safety answering points are signed
up for the Telecommunications Service Priority program to get priority restoration
of their phone lines in 'the event of a national crisis or attack,' says the FCC.

The action comes, says the commission, after the NCS and FCC sent letters to the
organizations, relating the need for more 911 system operators to sign up for the
program. The commission and NCS say less than 10 percent of the nation's 7,500
911 call centers currently are participating in the TSP plan. The two say PSAP
administrators operating the 911 centers qualify 'readily' for inclusion in the
program as their services are essential to health and safety of U.S. citizens.

The National Emergency Numbering Association, the National Association of State
911 Administrators and the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials
International are joining in the program, according to the FCC.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/