Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City candidates sketch their top issues

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 19:09:16 -0400

City candidates sketch their top issues
Source: "Daily Herald; Arlington Heights, Ill."
Publication date: 2003-03-27
Arrival time: 2003-04-03

The Daily Herald sent questionnaires to each of the candidates in contested
Warrenville City Council races.

In Ward 1, Stuart N. Aschauer is challenging incumbent James McGuire for
a 4-year term. In Ward 4, Clare L. Barry and George M. Safford are vying for
a 4-year term.

Here are their edited responses.

Q. Why are you running for this office, whether for re-election or election the
first time? Is there a particular issue that motivates you? If so, what?

Stuart N. Aschauer: Ward 1 was changed by redistricting last year and is
now the largest and most diverse ward in both housing and business
property. Ward 1 also has the largest amount of undeveloped property in the
city, from Cantera to the Route 59 corridor south of Continental Drive.

Promoting continued growth at Cantera, along with proactive policies to
enhance growth along Route 59 are my priorities. Developing our expanded
sales tax to fund city needs long term, keeping taxes low, can be
accomplished while protecting adjacent residential properties. Fiscal policy
is a concern.

Warrenville has bonds with interest rates of 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 percent while
the prime rate is under 2 percent. Methods of refinance should also be a
priority. As a past council member and successful business owner, I am
willing and capable of changing things to a positive way.

James McGuire: Did not respond.

Clare L. Barry: I am running for alderman of Ward 4 in the city of Warrenville
because I will bring a diversity of opinion and background to the council. The
particular issue that motivates me is to improve the tax base in Warrenville
with a broad range of business opportunities.

George M. Safford: I've worked behind the scenes in Warrenville for the past
five or six years. Most of my involvement has focused on building stronger
organizations: Chamber of Commerce, land-use planning, long-term future
articulation, etc.

The most common stumbling block is lack of clear understanding of role,
function and priority. The city council has struggled with these issues as
well over the past many years. I want to make a difference on the council by
bringing a planning discipline to our considerations.

Once a community articulates and defines its long-term vision, priorities
become much easier to manage for the good of the entire community.

Q. If you are an incumbent, describe your main contributions. Tell us of any
important initiatives you've led. If you are not an incumbent, tell us what
contributions you would make. Describe any shortcomings in the current
governing unit that you would help remedy and explain how.

Aschauer: As a past council member with a construction background, I
made recommendations on construction of the new city hall to minimize
maintenance costs long-term.

I was a member of the WDIP Water Committee considering Lake Michigan
water for Warrenville. The decision reached was to upgrade our existing
system, providing a long-term, safe supply of water for Warrenville, along
with some of the lowest rates in the Metropolitan Area.

I supported increased funding to improve equipment and efficiency in the
department. Good equipment also promotes safety. I recommended using
revenue from an antennae site request from Nextel to fund department
radio/phones to improve communication at no new taxpayer expense.

I live in the heart of Ward 1, my business is also located in the ward. I have
the ability and desire to give the taxpayer the best value for their tax dollar.

McGuire: Did not respond.

Barry: Our current alderman in Ward 4 resides in the Maple Hill subdivision,
which is not in the tax district for school, park or fire. He regularly abstains

from voting on these issues.

I feel that the alderman for Ward 4 should be aware of what is best for the
residents of Ward 4 and vote on the issue even if they do not reside in the
taxing district. My opponent also resides in Maple Hill and I am afraid he will
also feel the same as our current alderman.

Safford: I've been a professional strategic planner for over 20 years,
specifically in non-profit organizations (credit unions). And I've shared my
skills with other volunteer groups, charities and church groups over the
years.

I'd like to help the city council acquire a strategic focus, and a planning
mind-set that will help them make decisions faster and better with more
community understanding. Developing a community consensus on its
long-range vision will help governing boards prioritize their energy and
resources appropriately.

Publication date: 2003-03-27
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=37839616&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/