Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The USA has "RailRoad Radio System" Germany Has GSM-R network infrastructure.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:00:07 -0400

GSM-R solution deployed in Germany

14th April 2003

Tertio’s Railway Services Management solution (RSM) developed for Germany's
national rail
network, Deutsche Bahn's new GSM-R network, has successfully gone-live enabling
the
German railway network to define and activate its range of GSM-R services.
Tertio’s solution is
supporting the nation-wide rollout of GSM-R, which is now in use on the high
speed track
Frankfurt-Cologne, with the overall 26,500km network (phase 1) rolling out by
the end of 2004.

GSM-R is a new standard for wireless rail telecommunications endorsed by the
International
Union of Railways (UIC) based on the tried and tested GSM communications
standard with
railway specific functionality designed to improve the safety and reliability of
railway operations.
Tertio’s RSM implementation for Deutsche Bahn (DB) is playing a significant role
in ensuring
the GSM-R network is up and running for the majority of the national rail
network by the end of
next year.

Tertio was selected by Deutsche Bahn due to its extensive proven experience in
the GSM
sector, in particular its Provident provisioning solution implemented at
T-Mobile U.K.

Tertio’s CEO, Nigel Clifford said, “It is very rewarding to see RSM up and
running. We feel
privileged to be a part of the dedicated GSM-R teams at DB and Nortel pioneering
the roll-out of
a new communication system which is going to make rail travel more reliable and
safer for us
all”.

RSM was developed by Tertio under subcontract from Nortel Networks who are the
prime
contractor for the supply of the GSM-R network infrastructure, RSM and other
operational
support systems

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/8691.shtml
=======================================================================================

GSM-R Goes Live

14th April 2003

Germany : Tertio’s Railway Services
Management solution (RSM) developed for
Deutsche Bahn AG's new GSM-R network, has
successfully gone-live enabling the German
state of the art railway network to define and
activate its range of GSM-R services. Tertio’s
unique to market solution is supporting the
nation-wide rollout of GSM-R, which is now in
use on the high speed track Frankfurt-Cologne,
with the overall 26,500km network (phase 1)
rolling out by the end of 2004.

Inset is Tertio’s CEO, Nigel Clifford who is
quoted below.

GSM-R is a new standard for wireless rail
telecommunications endorsed by the International Union of Railways (UIC) based
on the
tried and tested GSM communications standard with railway specific functionality

designed to improve the safety and reliability of railway operations. Tertio’s
RSM
implementation for Deutsche Bahn (DB) is playing a significant role in ensuring
the
GSM-R network is up and running for the majority of the national rail network by
the end
of next year.

One of the main benefits of RSM to DB is the ability to set up, provision and
manage
GSM-R services through a single easy to use interface delivering huge savings in
time,
resources and costs. GSM-R services currently being provisioned by RSM include:

• Location Dependent Addressing, which ensures that a short-code emergency call
is
routed to the nearest relevant railway staff e.g. a train driver can issue an
emergency
warning of danger on the track to all drivers and staff in the immediate
vicinity

• Functional related phone numbers, mean that a train’s functions (e.g. driver,
conductor) are assigned a number which remains the same irrespective of the
employee
working that day

• Definition and management of Group Call Areas, to assign railway employees to
a
specific group e.g. staff at a large railway station, or track staff in one
region. A
Voice-Broadcast function, "one to everyone", is used to deliver the message
simultaneously to all members of the group from one call.

Tertio was selected by Deutsche Bahn due to its extensive proven experience in
the
GSM sector, in particular its Provident provisioning solution implemented at
T-Mobile
U.K.

Tertio’s CEO, Nigel Clifford said, “It is very rewarding to see RSM up and
running. We
feel privileged to be a part of the dedicated GSM-R teams at DB and Nortel
pioneering
the roll-out of a new communication system which is going to make rail travel
more
reliable and safer for us all”.

RSM was developed by Tertio under subcontract from Nortel Networks GmbH who are
the prime contractor for the supply of the GSM-R network infrastructure, RSM and
other
operational support systems.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2003/5212.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/