Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS Enabled Thuraya Phone Blows Surrender Attempt-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:28:28 -0400

Botched Saddam Deal?
U.S. Attack May Have Ended Surrender Attempt
By Brian Ross, Rhonda Schwartz and Jill Rackmill

B A G H D A D, Iraq, April 21

— Saddam Hussein's intelligence chief sought help last week to arrange some kind of a deal
between the United States and Saddam, leaders of the prominent Iraqi Dulaym Tribe told
ABCNEWS.

The tribe made contact with, among others, Bob Baer, a former CIA officer with whom they
had worked secretly in the past.
"They told me the chief of Iraqi intelligence was seeking to get in touch with the United
States and could I do anything about that," said Baer,
who is now an ABCNEWS consultant.

On April 11, Saddam's intelligence chief, Gen. Taher Haboush, showed up at the home of the
Dulaym Tribe's chief near the town of
Ar-Ramadi, purportedly on behalf of Saddam, to work out arrangements for a meeting. But
shortly after he arrived, tribal leaders said U.S.
forces bombed the home, killing the chief.

In addition to the chief, 17 members of his immediate family were also killed in what
tribe members call a botched surrender effort.
"We don't know who to trust," said Abdullah Hamid, the leader of the Dulaym Tribe. "We
don't trust them anymore."Satellite Phone Was Key

Tribe members suspect it was a Thuraya satellite phone, used by the general and their
chief, which led to the attack.

Because the phones give off precise location coordinates, U.S. forces have been tracking
top regime members through the use of their
Thuraya phones.

"There must have been somebody in the house using a Thuraya," said Baer, discussing the
incident with members of the tribe.
And according to Fahad Kaharbit, a nephew of the dead chief, they all use Thuraya phones
in this area.

"The problem is they mentioned a name on the list," said Baer. Kaharbit said the tribe was
trying to help the United States. "We tried to get them and us a big favor by surrendering
the president himself," he said.

Tribe members say Saddam's intermediary, Haboush, got away and it's not known whether U.S.
officials were aware of what he was trying
to arrange.

They believe Saddam was nearby when he sent his intelligence chief forward to try to make
a deal. Tribe members said they have no idea
where Saddam is now.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/World/iraq030421_missed_deal.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/