Subject: [mobile-ip] about silent discard.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:08:42 +0300

Hi Jari,

About:
"
Also change the paragraph about the silent discard as follows:

    For packets carrying Binding Updates that fail to satisfy all of
    these tests for any reason other than insufficiency of the Sequence
    Number, registration type change, or expired nonce index values
    MUST be silently discarded.
"
If we consider the following scenario MN send a "buggy BU" with A bit equals 0.
we will have:
MN sends "buggy BU" to CN
CN silently discards "buggy BU"
MN sends packets with Home address option to CN
CN replies with a BE type 1
MN uses reverse tunneling (officially "may restart RR")

one could have think that CN could have answered a BA with status 128 to avoid slowing down the communication ...
But we can stick on the current paragraph, it was just a last attempt about the issue ;)
Or is my scenario not valid?

Nicolas

Note: if the bit A is set, we can consider the MN continues the communication to CN using reverse tunneling before receiving a  status<128 acknowledgment, so discarding the BU is "acceptable" ;)

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:28:12 +0300

> Or is my scenario not valid?

Your scenario is valid (even if not the one dealt with in issue #273).
But the text says "... fail to satisfy all of these tests for any reason
other than <list>". So its not for any other reason, its just the ones
listed in 9.5.1. Looking at it, its basically either (a) non-unicast
source address or (b) bad MAC or other security failure. In either
case, there are good reasons to not respond. In fact, in case (a) we
simply can not respond even if we wanted to!

Other errors that can happen are dealt with in later sections, e.g.
HA BU handling.

So I think what we have now for this is pretty much the right thing.

--Jari