Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Packet Switched Broadcasts

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:45:48 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "James H. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Packet Switched Broadcasts

    To answer my own question, the term "multicasting" is used to refer to
transmitting information to multiple recipients using the Internet Protocol.
For wireless communications, both the Ethernet protocol in IEEE's 802.11
(Wi-Fi) and the IEEE 802.16 standard for metropolitan area networks support
multicasting.  A common application of broadcasting or multicasting is in
Wi-Fi networks in classrooms where the instructor sends the same information
to all students at once.
Also see, http://www.networkcomputing.com/718/718w1.html

Jim Johnston

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:47:16 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re: Packet Switched Broadcasts

> multicasting.

Internet streaming is generally conducted through one of two transmission methods: 1)
unicast; and 2) multicast.  The vast majority
of today's Internet streaming is conducted via unicast: a separate replication of
streaming data is sent to each unique user, even
though the content of the stream is identical.  For example, if fifty users are listening
to Beethoven.com, ten identical streams
are generated from its streaming server.  This is extremely wasteful of bandwidth on the
Internet.

Muticast transmissions transmit one data stream to an unlimited number of recipients.  So,
why hasn't the majority of the Internet
switched to Multicast?  Multicast requires the upgrade of routers, servers, and other
multicast compliant hardware.  Since the burst
of the "dot com" bubble, few streaming and ISP entities have taken the lead on the
deployment of multicast transmissions.

AOL, one of the largest, if not THE largest ISP, is not multicast enabled.  Until the
larger ISPs upgrade their networks, few
delivery services will offer their streams via multicast.  The same holds true for 3G
wireless services and the like.  Although, if
interest in 3G technology ramps up, the demand may be sufficient to bring everyone else on
board.

-Paul

-----------------------------------------
Paul B. Christensen, Esq.
LAW OFFICE of PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills Drive
Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802
Facsimile: (904) 379-7803
[email-masked]