Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Question about direct/talk-around channels on P25 trunked

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:37:02 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Brian Lea" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Re: Question about direct/talk-around channels on P25 trunked

 Radiopro1 (Sorry you didn't put your name - I'm sure by accident),This idea, is already a
reality on Motorola and MPT 1327/1343 trunked systems by using a "Smartbridge", an
Australian product used to bridge PMR systems into trunked systems for coverage in places
like tunnels or black spots where only a few of the services on the trunked system require
access in those areas.  For example we have in the vicinity of 45 different agencies on
our State run Motorola trunk system, which covers a vast majority of the States geographic
area.  Obviously there are some black spots here where coverage is required for primary
emergency services, but where other users don't require access (rather remote area).  As a
result three PMR channels have been installed (one for each service) which are "bridged"
back into the trunked system.  We also have numerous portable bridges, which are carried
on vehicles and can be moved to any location required to provide coverage to a black
spot.  The portable bridges are then switched on and bridged back into the trunked
network.  It's all very neat and I know it's being exported round the world.What I don't
know is if the smartbridges are compatible with digital voice systems, simply because I
don't think anyone has been tried yet.  The State run trunk system is a mixed mode system
(analogue and digital), but no digital user at this stage has had a requirement to use a
smartbridge.  having said this, the technology is already in place to bridge the analogue
PMR comms into the trunk system, so I can't see it would take too much effort to convert
it for use with digital systems.The website for smartbridge, which has a very good
technical overview of the system, unfortunately doesn't come to mind.  Plus of all things
I've just had this computer back from service so it doesn't have internet favourites on
it.  However the site should come straight up with a decent search engine like Google.
You could also try (off the top of my head) www.kareera.com.au.Brian LeaSydney Australia.

     -----Original Message-----
     From: radiopro1 [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: Monday, 28 April 2003 10:26 PM
     Subject: Re: Question about direct/talk-around channels on P25 trunked

     OR ---- (imagine a light bulb here)----- perhaps a fire vehicle could
     have a local repeater tuned to a local "emergency channel"
     (convenetional)designed for on site emergencies.  The firefighter out
     of contact on the primary system switches to the "emergency channel"
     which then translates his call into the trunked system which would
     then be heard and the on site command could switch over and speak to
     the caller.  Just a thought --- pay me a commission when you make it
     work.

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:40:01 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: rufnredy <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: Question about direct/talk-around channels on 

Hi all,

Guess I have been lurking for some time listening in to all the great 
information.  Just a quick intro and a point.  I am a radio consultant with 
a nationwide firm specializing in Public Safety communications systems.

As for the new building issue, one of the recommendations we make to our 
clients is to start the process to update local building codes and zoning 
codes.  The recommended updates include wording to the effect that when a 
new building is erected, the builder shall ensure that public safety radio 
communications inside the building is the same as that outside.  This may 
require the designer to plan for in-building solutions for large steel and 
glass structures depending on the size and construction.  It is much 
cheaper for them to build it to work from the start than for the 
municipality to have to pay for an after market in building repeater system 
later.  Also, we recommend tower regulations that protect microwave hops 
between public safety towers from being obstructed by new buildings.

Bottom line is, these recommendations should be made virtually everywhere 
to protect public safety radio systems.  The timing is perfect  when the 
municipality goes to their Supervisors/Commissioners/Aldermen for funding 
for a new radio system, they should add an "oh by the way" and make these 
recommendations to make sure all the money being spent will go the farthest 
... and protect a typically very large investment.

We have had good luck with these efforts and they certainly pay off in the 
long run.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/