Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Local law enforcement agencies can use state police radio towers, Granholm orders

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:46:16 -0400

Saturday, April 19, 2003
Local law enforcement agencies can use state police radio towers, Granholm orders
By Associated Press

LANSING -- Gov. Jennifer
Granholm ordered Friday that local
authorities may mount their own
radio communications equipment on Michigan State Police towers
around the state.

The order instructs state department directors and agency heads to
permit any governmental public safety agency to install
communications equipment on the 181 towers designed for the
state police's Michigan Public Safety Communications System.
The system allows state police troopers and other governmental
officials to talk to each other from anywhere in the state.

Granholm said it's important that local law enforcement agencies be
able to communicate with other authorities and the Michigan State
Police.

"In these days when homeland security and emergency
management are among our country's first priorities, coordination,
cooperation and communication are key," Granholm said in a news
release. "Any action that helps our law enforcement agencies better
communicate across all jurisdictions helps protect Michigan
families."

Earlier this year, state police expressed concern that additional
communication equipment on towers may interfere with their
communication transmitted by the towers.

The state police's towers and communication system cost $234.2
million, of which $212.7 was financed through bonding, according
to an analysis by the House Republican Policy Office.

Granholm's order may make unnecessary legislation to permit local
law enforcement agencies to use the state police towers.
The bill would prohibit the Michigan State Police from denying
permission to install communication equipment if an analysis shows
it wouldn't impair the tower or the state police's equipment.

The state House approved the bill and the Senate was scheduled to
consider its own version when it returns to session next week.
Rep. John Pappageorge, R-Troy, sponsor of the House bill, said
he introduced the bill because it would save local law enforcement
agencies money by using the state police towers rather than building
their own.

The police towers bill is House Bill 4259 and Senate Bill 293.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0304/20/metro-141251.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/