Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News from ITA

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:59:31 -0400

Bearcom Launches Customer Service Initiative

Bearcom Group, Inc., has launched a new customer care program to expedite
service, repair and refurbishment
of two-way radios, cell phones and wireless devices.
FedEx Express will provide the shipping and materials for Bearcom to process
orders. “Wireless equipment is
the primary form of communication for many of our public safety, business,
government and education customers
and keeping their equipment in optimal operating condition is our goal with this
new program,” said Jerry
Denham, president of Bearcom. “Together with FedEx Express we have made the
pick-up, repair and delivery of
equipment easy.”

Motorola's Canopy to be Deployed for Rural Communications

Xtratyme Technologies, Inc., and Motorola, Inc., have announced they will
cooperatively deploy Motorola's
Canopy™ fixed wireless broadband network solution as part of Xtratyme's
Blueprint America Project linking
rural and underserved communities with affordable, high-speed Internet and data
services.
The Blueprint America Project was developed by Xtratyme in May 2000 to
accelerate the growth of highspeed
Internet availability in areas that have few or no high-speed data alternatives.
The project combines select
equipment and service providers and cooperatives to create broadband
communications networks in rural and
smaller communities. The select providers and cooperatives benefit by combining
resources, such as buying power
for bandwidth and by sharing financial-modeling tools and business strategies.

JPS Selected to Provide Interoperability for Nation’s Capital

Police in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area have implemented the JPS
Communications ACU-1000
and NXU-2 VoIP extension unit as a regional public safety interoperability
solution. The first host site is located
at the Alexandria, Virginia, Police Department. The first switch was originally
constructed as part of the National
Institute of Justice’s (NIJ) AGILE Program. The NIJ selected the Alexandria
Police Department to serve as an
operational test bed to test the ACU-1000 in a real world environment.
The JPS ACU-1000 was selected because it allows officers to communicate
regardless of whether they use
VHF, UHF or 800MHz radios or cellular and satellite phones.
“Disasters like the Oklahoma City bombing made interoperability a priority for
NIJ officials and law enforcement,”
said Lieutenant Roman Kaluta of the Alexandria Police Department and project
manager of the NIJ AGILE
communications operational test bed in Alexandria. “As a result, we began
testing this system in the laboratory. Based
on the success of those tests, we are now applying these tools in the field.”

Prison Selects Motorola System

The Mississippi Department of Corrections has selected Motorola's Offendertrak™
Corrections
Management System, integrated with AutoMon Corporation's Caseload Explorer, to
manage the offender population
throughout the state. The system, valued at $6.4 million, will be used by more
than 3,500 corrections
officials throughout the state to manage the incarceration and supervision of
approximately 21,000 inmates and
20,000 parolees and probationers.

Ramsden Joins Relm

Relm Wireless Corporation has hired Christopher Ramsden as vice president of
government sales. He will
head the government sales team with a focus on digital product development and
roll out. Ramsden's experience
includes serving as national sales manager and director of sales and marketing
with Kenwood Communications,
as well as holding the position of director of customer operations development
for BellSouth Cellular.

Motorola Logs 4Q Sales Increase

Motorola, Inc., has reported sales of $7.5 billion in the fourth quarter of 2002
and net earnings of $174 million, or $.08 per share, representing an increase in
sales of 3 percent from $7.3 billion in the year-ago quarter.

American Tower Sells Flash Technology

SPX Corporation’s Dielectric business has acquired Flash
Technology from American Tower Corporation. Flash Technology is involved in the
design, assembly, monitoring and service of aviation obstruction lighting
systems for the communications tower market.
Relm Wins Forestry Order

Black Hills National Forest has placed a purchase order with Relm Wireless
Corporation for nearly $900,000 in BK Radio equipment.

The order consists of 16 desktop base stations, 36 Project 25-compliant
analog/digital repeaters and more than 500 G Series portable and mobile radios.
Also included in the order is a quantity of DPH digital/analog portable radios
for delivery later this quarter.  All 155 national forests and 20 national
grasslands under the U.S. Forest Service umbrella will be migrating to Project
25-compliant communications, and the equipment purchased by the Black Hills
forest fits into the Forest Service digital migration plans because the G
Series radios are designed to be upgradeable to APCO Project 25 compliance
with a factory-installed retrofit. Relm also plans to introduce
a DPH trade-in offer for previous BK Radio models.

http://www.ita-relay.com/magazine/March2003/PW-M03-IndustryNews.pdf