Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Distracted Driver Hits Jogger

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:20:05 -0400

Distracted Driver Hits Jogger

The California Highway Patrol said on Sunday that a van driver, leaning over to
pick up a cell phone, hit and killed a jogger who had been running in the bike
lane of the road. The incident has prompted the jogger's family to call for
statewide restrictions on the use of hand-held cell phone by drivers. By Dec.
31, 2006, the California Highway Patrol is to produce a definitive report on
accidents caused by districted drivers.

====================================================

Man Leaned Over To Pick Up Cell Phone
POSTED: 2:50 p.m. PDT April 14, 2003

BREA, Calif. -- A 71-year-old jogger was struck and killed by a van after the
driver took his eyes off the road to retrieve a dropped cellular telephone, the
California Highway Patrol said.

Van driver Brian Scott Lankford, 38, said he leaned over to pick up his cell
phone while driving south on Valencia Avenue on Saturday and he didn't notice he
had drifted into the bike lane where Burton was running, the CHP said.

Lankford stopped and called police on his cell phone. A CHP spokeswoman said the
crash was being investigated and Lankford wasn't cited.

Burton's relatives said legislation was needed to outlaw cell phone use while
driving.
"In New York state it's against the law to use a cell phone while driving," said
Edward Rumph, 69, a relative of Burton's widow. "We have to get some
legislation."

The CHP recently recommended to Gov. Gray Davis and the Legislature that the
state consider passing a law prohibiting drivers from using hand-held cell
phones, similar to one passed in New York and at least 22 countries.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2112137/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/