Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Schwaninger's expertise missed- Schwaninger and his staff, especially [Elaney] DiStefano, were probably the best thing that happened to a lot of two-way radio...

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:01:17 -0400

Spectrum reallocation long overdue

Mobile Radio Technology, Apr 1, 2003

Wills Point, TexasI enjoyed reading [Bill McCarthy's] editorial on some
potential problems of interference caused by home and
industry devices to critical security devices — including our national defense
systems.

The idea proposed to use spectrum with the television broadcast band is the best
choice, but let's get the spectrum for this and
other consumer rf products clear and stable for the long haul.

It is my belief that the FCC should now be migrating the lower 12 VHF television
channels to the UHF television band 14
through 59.

I will only make a short comment here that television UHF tuners in home
receivers have improved and off-the-air reception of
UHF television is good quality.

For the UHF television broadcaster, towers of adequate height and transmitters
of adequate power are readily available so that
the UHF broadcaster can cover his licensed service area.

How can the move be accomplished?

The FCC begins by migrating all VHF channel 2 television stations to available
and suitable UHF channels, this migration should
take no longer than 12 months, same with channel 3 and on up through 13.

Some broadcasters are going to protest, but it will all work out very well.

The five lower VHF channel operators are going to have viewers that immediately
enjoy the improved signal to noise of the UHF
signal.

The upper VHF 7 channel operators are not going to like this move, because they
already have about the best of the television
broadcast world, but they will have five to 12 years to get ready, and in
fairness to the lower 5 VHF operators, they (the upper
VHF 7) must move to UHF also.

Now then, back to consumers and WiFi. Each year, starting with the vacating of
VHF channel 2, 6 Mhz of spectrum will
become available.

In 12 years, 72 Mhz of spectrum will be open for use across the nation, all
kinds of wireless systems can operate and frequencies
used for the vital protection of our country will not be in jeopardy.

I understand that I have presented this in a very simplistic manner, but I did
not want to take up your time with complicated
technical issues.Michael L. JoynerR&M Communications

DbSpectra shares gratitude

Lewisville, TexasdbSpectra would like to thank MRT for the exposure we received
during this year's IWCE in Las Vegas.

MRT was instrumental in the attention we received at this year's show,
especially regarding our Combiners, Multicoupler, and
Antenna Switch products.

Due to the advertising we have done with MRT regarding our 800 MHz Control
Station Combiner and Deluxe Receiver
Multicoupler, we have experienced a great increase in the volume of requests for
quotes and sales on these products over the last
few months.

In addition to the advertising we run in MRT, MRT has downloaded information on
other products from our Web site and
debuted them in the “New Products” category — the latest being the “DBS-112AA
Dual Antenna Switch,” included in the
March 2003 edition. This resulted in some very good interest in this product
during the show and we expect our Antenna
Switching product line to benefit significantly.

Here at dbSpectra we take pride in creating unique RF products, we want to thank
the staff at MRT for always exploring
creative products and companies that incorporate fresh ideas and technologies.

Each month our engineers scramble to see who can grab our monthly copy of MRT
first, it is the publication we rely on to keep
us on top.

Thanks again MRT!
Ron FlowerSales directordbSpectra

Schwaninger's expertise missed

MilwaukeeBoth my wife and myself were regular readers of Robert Schwaninger's
articles in [Mobile Radio Technology
magazine]. My wife is not directly associated with our business, however, she
has met Schwaninger several times.

We were both very disappointed to read Schwaninger's last article, “Adieu, but
not goodbye.”

Schwaninger and his staff, especially [Elaney] DiStefano, were probably the best
thing that happened to a lot of two-way radio
and [specialized mobile radio] operators. With the assistance of Schwaninger,
many SMR operators were able to make the best
of a situation that looked very ominous for us, at best.

Although I have much respect for Nextel and the [Federal Communications
Commission], I suspect that neither party had our
best interests at heart. I realize that most of us paid for Schwaninger's
assistance (the American way), however both my wife and
myself - and many other SMR operators - feel it was some of the best money we
ever spent.

With the assistance we received we were able to comply with the mandates of the
FCC auction and still continue to function as a
UHF SMR operator. I suspect that if it were not for the assistance from
Schwaninger's office, things might have turned out
differently.

In addition to the excellent assistance from Schwaninger and his office, his
presentations and candor are very refreshing. He can
speak legalese with the best of them, and he also can communicate with SMR
operators on our level in our language.

We will very much miss his informative, colorful, to-the-point, no-holds-barred,
articles.

I could go into further detail, however, I need to limit what I mention in
writing for many reasons.

Our sincere, heartfelt thanks to Schwaninger and crew.Sal and Gayle
DragottaViking Communications

We also reserve the right to respond when appropriate.
http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_spectrum_reallocation_long/index.htm