Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Alliance Announces First Products Certified for Wi-Fi Protected Access Security

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:01:53 -0400

Wi-Fi Alliance Announces First Products Certified for Wi-Fi Protected Access Security

The Wi-Fi Alliance announced today that the first round of products has
successfully completed Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) interoperability testing.
The WPA specification replaced the existing wireless LAN security
specification, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). The WPA-certified products
include components and systems from Atheros, Broadcom, Cisco, Intel,
Intersil and Symbol Technologies. "With this first round of Wi-Fi Protected
Access product certifications, strong, standards-based interoperable security is
available for Wi-Fi networks," said Dennis Eaton, chairman of the Wi-Fi
Alliance. "This is the best interoperable security solution for today's enterprise
and home users. Businesses will find Wi-Fi Protected Access to be both
scalable and manageable. Consumers will find it easier to install while offering
an unprecedented level of security for their home network."

=================================================================================

Wi-Fi Alliance Certifies WPA
04.29.03

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- The Wi-Fi Alliance announced today that the first round of
products has successfully completed Wi-Fi Protected Access interoperability testing.
This eagerly anticipated security solution replaces the existing WLAN security
solution called Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP).

This is the third Wi-Fi® product certification developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance since the
program began in March of 2000. The previous two certifications were for products
based on the IEEE 802.11a and 802.11b standards. In addition, the Wi-Fi Alliance is
also developing a fourth certification testing program for IEEE 802.11g products. To
date, over 650 products from 120 companies have received Wi-Fi certification.

“With this first round of Wi-Fi Protected Access product certifications, strong,
standards-based interoperable security is available for Wi-Fi networks,” said Dennis
Eaton, Chairman of the Wi-Fi Alliance. “This is the best interoperable security
solution for today’s enterprise and home users. Businesses will find Wi-Fi Protected
Access to be both scalable and manageable. Consumers will find it easier to install
while offering an unprecedented level of security for their home network.”

“The first Wi-Fi Protected Access-enabled products will be available in May, and later
this year Wi-Fi Protected Access support will be required in selected Wi-Fi
CERTIFIED PC and PC peripheral products. We also anticipate that many vendors
with Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products on the market today will offer software upgrades to
their products. Users considering the purchase of a Wi-Fi product with Wi-Fi
Protected Access security can go to the Wi-Fi Alliance Web site and look at the
product’s capability label to determine if it has Wi-Fi Protected Access support,”
continued Eaton.

Wi-Fi Protected Access certification is identified by a new element on the capabilities
label and on the Wi-Fi Alliance Web site.

The following products have had their IEEE 802.11b component certified for Wi-Fi
Protected Access:

Atheros AR5BCB-00025A - AR5001X+ 802.11a/b/g CardBus Reference
Design Board
Atheros AR5BAP-00025A - AR5001AP 802.11a/b/g Access Point
Broadcom 802.11g Access Point Reference Design - BCM94306-GAP
Broadcom 802.11g CardBus Reference Design - BCM94306CB
Cisco Access Point AIR-AP1230B
Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B Mini-PCI Adapter
Intersil PRISM 2.5 Reference Design PCMCIA Card ISL37300P
Intersil PRISM Access Point Development Kit ISL36356A
Symbol Wireless Networker CompactFlash Wireless LAN Adapter Model
LA-4137

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=32041

===========================================================================================

Wi-Fi Alliance security standard gathers support
April 29 18:04:00, 2003

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.-Several companies have announced support for the new Wi-Fi Alliance
security standard known
as Wi-Fi Protected Access, which replaces Wired Equivalent Privacy.

WPA is the alliance's third product certification and part of its security roadmap.

The following companies have announced their 802.11b product components are certified for
WPA: Atheros with
802.11a/b/g access point, Broadcom with both 802.11g access point reference design and
cardbus reference design,
Cisco Systems Inc. access point, Intel Mini-PCI adapter, Intersil Prism access point
development kit and 2.5 reference
design PCMCIA card.

"This is the best interoperable security solution for today's enterprise and home users,"
said Dennis Eaton, chairman of
the Wi-Fi Alliance.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=8327

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/