Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Whines To Mexico's Secretariat of Communications and Transportes (FCC)about the lack of spectrum.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:32:39 -0500

Nextel Whines To Mexico's Secretariat of Communications and Transportes
(FCC).
(Translated, somewhat)

 2003-02-17

-In the country the conditions necessary do not exist to increase the
investment in telecommunications, because the corresponding authorities
have not released frequencies and still there is legal uncertainty in
the sector, assured the vice-president development of businesses Nextel,
Gustavo Cantú Durán. For that reason, it said, the investments will go
away to other countries where they grant better conditions to them.

Seven years ago, it said, Nextel Mexico requested to the Secretariat of
Communications and Transportes (SCT) the liberation of frequencies (by
licitation or direct awarding) to extend its cover and to offer services
of digital technology.

legal uncertainty. Nevertheless, it added, no authority has given a
definitive answer them until the moment. legal uncertainty in the
phantoms is delaying the investments in the sector of trunking. It
indicated that holding of Nextel in the United States considers to
Mexico like one of the seats where it is possible more to be invested,
because example in 2002, more of 60% was destined to the country.

The company has invested more than thousand 500 million dollars in the
country from 1998. The band that looks for Nextel is the one of 800 Mhz,
because?existe a great amount of phantom in this band that the federal
government has in his salary and has reached to release. In 2000 it was
published and it suspended a licitation to release this frequency. The
last year, Nextel in Mexico obtained operative gains by 88,5 million
dollars, increased to 29% its base of subscribers when adding 517
thousands and reported a record EBIDTA (gains before the interest, of
the taxes, depreciation and the amortization) of 142,4 million of dólare

 http://www.cronica.com.mx/nota.php?idc=49784
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

En el país no existen las condiciones necesarias para aumentar la
inversión en
telecomunicaciones, porque las autoridades correspondientes no han
liberado
frecuencias y aún hay incertidumbre jurídica en el sector, aseguró el
vicepresidente de desarrollo de negocios de Nextel, Gustavo Cantú Durán.

Por ello, dijo, las inversiones se irán a otros países donde les
otorguen mejores
condiciones.

Hace siete años, dijo, Nextel México pidió a la Secretaría de
Comunicaciones y
Transportes (SCT) la liberación de frecuencias (por licitación o
adjudicación
directa) para ampliar su cobertura y brindar servicios de tecnología
digital.
incertidumbre jurídica. Sin embargo, añadió, ninguna autoridad les ha
dado una
respuesta definitiva hasta el momento. “Esta incertidumbre jurídica en
los
espectros está retrasando las inversiones en el sector de trunking”.

Señaló que la holding de Nextel en Estados Unidos considera a México
como
una de las plazas donde más se puede invertir, pues ejemplo en 2002, más
del
60% se destinó al país.

La empresa ha invertido más de mil 500 millones de dólares en el país
desde
1998.

La banda que busca Nextel es la de 800 Mhz, porque “existe una gran
cantidad
de espectro en esta banda que el gobierno federal tiene en su haber y no
ha
alcanzado a liberar”.

En 2000 se publicó y suspendió una licitación para liberar esta
frecuencia. El
año pasado, Nextel en México obtuvo ganancias operativas por 88.5
millones de
dólares, aumentó 29% su base de suscriptores al sumar 517 mil y reportó
un
récord EBIDTA (ganancias antes del interés, de los impuestos, de la
depreciación y de la amortización) de 142.4 millones de dólare

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/