Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Awarded TETRA Contract That Covers the Longest Length of Rail Track in the World!

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:39:12 -0400

Motorola Awarded TETRA Contract That Covers the Longest Length of Rail Track in the World!

Taiwan Railway Administration Chose TETRA as the Ideal Solution for Railway Communications

TAIPEI, -- April 18, 2003 -- Motorola (NYSE:MOT), a global leader in providing integrated
communications solutions for the rail industry, has been awarded a multi-million contract
to
provide a Train Dispatch Radio System (TDRS), using Motorola's TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked
RAdio) integrated digital communications system, for Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA).
The
TETRA contract is part of a larger project awarded to Mercuries Data System Ltd (MSDL).

The system, which will be the largest TETRA railway network in Asia-Pacific, represents
yet
another achievement for Motorola's leadership and innovation as a global TETRA solutions
provider.

Motorola’s Commercial Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) will supply a
380-400
MHz TETRA digital radio communication system to cover 1100km of track and 201 train
stations.
The new TETRA system will effectively upgrade TRA’s existing analog communications by
providing enhanced voice and data capabilities across the entire rail network. The system
is
expected to be fully operational by end 2005.

“Motorola’s reputation for providing expert communications systems to the rail market and
its
track record of on-time delivery of its solutions makes it a first choice partner,” stated
Mr. Chang
Chia Ping, Public Business President, MDSL.

TETRA, which provides seamless roaming across the entire system, will enable calls to be
set up
anywhere in the network. This will ensure that TRA’s operational staff are contactable at
all time,
thus boosting the level of service and increasing public safety along the entire network,
including
all above-ground and underground train stations.

Another distinctive feature of the TETRA system is its superior audio clarity. Through the

reduction of voice transmission delays and the production of better voice quality and
clarity across
the network, operational staff will benefit from greater communication efficiency and a
reduced risk
of miscommunication.

“Our experience in the rail market has taught us that there are two main priorities.
Firstly, trains
must run on time and secondly, commuters need to reach their destinations safely. As
demands
on public transport grow, providing these basics becomes more of a challenge. With seventy
five
years of experience in telecommunications, Motorola can apply the best of its knowledge to
the
advantage of railway operators like TRA,” said Mr. Chew Guan Sing, General Manager, CGISS,

Motorola Taiwan.

In creating a total radio communications solution, Motorola’s TETRA system will be
integrated
with various subsystems.

A CAD System to support calling of trains by the Train Run Number (TRN), which is
dynamically
assigned based on time, route and destination.
A Train-borne Radio System to support interface to the Train Radio Control Panel, Train
Protection Radio System (TRPS) and other on-board equipment.

The importance of reliability, which goes with railway operations, is also taken into
account. If one
component fails, another immediately takes over as a backup function. Due to these
redundant
system components, high uptime of the system is guaranteed ensuring no disruption to
operations.

About Motorola
Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a leading
provider
of integrated radio communications and information solutions, with more than 65 years of
experience in meeting the mission-critical requirements of public safety, government and
enterprise customers worldwide. In 2002, CGISS received the Malcolm Baldrige National
Quality
Award, the United State's premier award for performance excellence and quality
achievement. For
more information, please visit: www.motorola.com/cgiss.

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated communications and
embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a global
corporate
citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and pioneering important technologies that
make
things smarter and life better for people, honored traditions that began when the company
was
founded 75 years ago this year. For more information, please visit: www.motorola.com.

About TETRA
TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA) is an open digital trunked radio standard defined by the

European Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to meet the needs of the most

demanding professional mobile radio users.

# # #

Media contact:
Sandy Quek
Motorola
65-64863247