Subject: [NEXTEL-1] As War Enters New Phase, American Red Cross Readies for

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:00:54 -0400

As War Enters New Phase, American Red Cross Readies for
Expanded Role; Agency Anticipates Need for Additional Financial
Support
Source: U.S. Newswire
Publication date: 2003-04-17

WASHINGTON, April 17 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The American Red Cross is asking for financial
support to cover the cost of Iraq conflict- related programs and services. Hundreds of Red
Cross workers and volunteers continue to assist military families and inter-agency
humanitarian aid programs already started in parts of Iraq. The organization anticipates
needing millions of dollars to support ongoing efforts.

The American Red Cross is assisting the men and women in the military and their families
in three primary ways:

-- Linking military personnel to their families back home through an extensive and
widespread emergency communications network;

-- Mobilizing and deploying trained workers with the troops into the Iraqi Freedom Theater
of Operations to provide emergency communication and other essential services; and

-- Reaching out to members of the National Guard/Reserves and their families with
information about American Red Cross services available to them.

Additionally, the American Red Cross is assisting its Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
partners by providing clean water, emergency relief supplies, medical assistance and
family reunification to those who have been affected. Although the distribution of
humanitarian aid to date has been limited, the Red Cross expects a growing number of
families to be caught in the grips of a long-lasting post-war crisis.

"At this very moment, we are actively providing assistance to men and women in the Armed
Forces and preparing with the ICRC to deliver relief services," said Marsha J. Evans,
President and CEO of the American Red Cross. "Because the work of the Red Cross will
continue well past the end of this conflict, we are asking for financial donations to help
us respond to the needs of families - both those without the basic comforts of their homes
in Iraq and those with loved ones on active duty."
Among the first financial supporters to help the American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency
Services (AFES) was the Lilly Endowment Inc., which gave $5 million to help with the
increased needs of the men and women serving in Iraq, but also the needs of the National
Guard and Reservists.  This funding will help support military members and their families
through emergency communication services - - such as a notification of birth of a child or
serious illness, access to financial assistance, deployment of Red Cross staff to areas of
conflict, counseling, veterans assistance and more.

"The historic generosity of the Lilly Endowment in times of disaster and tragedy, as well
as with the day-to-day services provided nationally and globally, makes an incredible
difference in the lives of so many in need," said Evans. "This compassionate gift will
allow us to continue keeping service men and women in contact with their loved ones, as
they leave to honor their commitment to serve."

Also setting the pace for corporate support and offering consumers a convenient way to
support troops through the Red Cross are Nextel Communications and Washington Mutual, Inc.

Through a unique program with Nextel Communications, Donate a Phone, consumers can donate
old wireless phones to be recycled and turned into funds to support the troops. Nextel
stores are also official customer donation sites for the Red Cross AFES nationwide.
Visitors to stores can make cash donations at the registers to support Red Cross services
to military families.

Washington Mutual's 2,500 locations are also collecting donations from the public for Red
Cross AFES services. In addition to a corporate gift, Washington Mutual will match the
first $10,000 donated to the American Red Cross by the general public. Washington Mutual
is also matching contributions made by its more than 50,000 employees nationwide.
Consumers may donate to the American Red Cross at any Washington Mutual financial center
or via the Internet at www.wamu.com.
To see a list of other supporters, visit www.redcross.org.

The U.S. Department of Defense has cautioned against collecting a large amount of goods
intended for military service personnel. They have suspended their own "Any Service
Member" and "Operation Dear Abby" services due to security and logistical concerns.
Because the public has been so generous with "quality of life" items, there are more than
enough goods currently in the distribution pipeline to last an estimated four months.
Contact your local Red Cross chapter for more information on the variety of other ways to
support those affected by the conflict.

The American Red Cross is not a government agency. We rely on the assistance of caring
supporters like you to deliver our critical services. You can support U.S. military
members and their families through the American Red Cross as we provide assistance and
comfort. Your gift will support the nationally coordinated Red Cross services provided to
military families across the country and to American service men and women located
throughout the world. Please make a financial donation to Armed Forces Emergency Services
by calling 1- 800-HELP NOW or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish). Contributions may be sent to the
American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services, P. O. Box 91820, Washington, DC
20090.  Internet users can make a secure online contribution by visiting www.redcross.org.

http://www.usnewswire.com
Publication date: 2003-04-17

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=38159404&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/