Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ham Radio "CC&R Bill" Reintroduced In Congress

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:06:36 -0500

Forwarded by: Alan <[email-masked]>
From: "ARRL Letter Mailing List"
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 18:24:09 -0500
Subject: The ARRL Letter, Vol 22, No 14
April 4, 2003

==>HAM RADIO "CC&R BILL" REINTRODUCED IN CONGRESS

Another Congressional attempt is under way to provide relief to amateurs
prevented by private deed covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs)
from installing outdoor antennas. Rep Steve Israel (D-NY) has again
introduced the "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act"
into the current session of Congress. The measure, designated HR 1478,
would require private land-use regulators such as homeowners'
associations
to "reasonably accommodate" Amateur Radio antennas consistent with the
PRB-1 limited federal preemption. PRB-1 now applies only to states and
municipalities.

In remarks introducing HR 1478, Israel said passage of his bill not only
would assist Amateur Radio operators but society as a whole. "Organized
Amateur Radio operators--or "hams"--regularly provide emergency
communication when regular communications channels are disrupted by
disaster," Israel pointed out. The growth of developed communities has
put
a growing number of hams under an "array of inconsistent regulations," he
said, that make it harder and harder--or altogether impossible--to erect
the necessary antennas.

"Not allowing hams the equipment they need could restrict communication
to
the local community in similar situations in the future." Israel said his
bill "seeks to ensure the continued viability of Amateur Radio through
consistent application of federal regulations."

The one-sentence measure is identical to the text of the CC&R bill that
was introduced in the last Congress: "For purposes of the Federal
Communications Commission's regulation relating to station antenna
structures in the Amateur Radio Service (47 CFR 97.15), any private land
use rules applicable to such structures shall be treated as a state or
local regulation and shall be subject to the same requirements and
limitations as a state or local regulation."

HR 1478 has bipartisan support. Leading the list of 13 initial cosponsors
for the measure are Reps Greg Walden, WB7OCE, (R-OR) and Mike Ross,
WD5DVR, (D-AR)--believed to be the only Amateur Radio licensees in
Congress. Joining them are representatives Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Roscoe
Bartlett (R-MD), Marion Berry (D-AR), Rick Boucher (D-VA), Jo Ann Davis
(R-VA), Ralph Hall (D-TX), Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), Michael McNulty
(D-NY), Dennis Moore (D-KS), Charles Taylor (R-NC) and Patrick Tiberi
(R-OH).

ARRL President Jim Haynie, W5JBP, said he was happy to see the bill back
before Congress. "Of course I am very pleased that Rep Israel has
reintroduced the bill," Haynie said. "The League can do the mechanics,
but
it is now up to our members to write their elected representative and
urge
support and ask that they cosponsor and support the bill." Haynie noted
that the League has recently ramped up its efforts to educate members of
Congress about Amateur Radio, but he said lawmakers respond best to
individual members.

HR 1478 has been assigned to the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Information about the bill and a sample letter to use when contacting
your
representative are available on the ARRL Web site
<http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/hr1478/>.

[Please copy replies to list poster: [email-masked] <n3hoe[a]juno.com>]

===========================================================
The ARRL Letter is published Fridays, 50 times each year, by the American
Radio Relay League--The National Association For Amateur Radio--225 Main
St, Newington, CT 06111; tel 860-594-0200; fax 860-594-0259;
<http://www.arrl.org>. Jim Haynie, W5JBP, President.
The ARRL Web site <http://www.arrl.org/> offers access to news, 
informative features and columns.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in whole
or
in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be given
to
The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

The ARRL Letter is available to all, free of charge, from these
sources:

* ARRLWeb <http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/>. (NOTE: The ARRL Letter will
be posted each Friday when it is distributed via e-mail.)

* The QTH.net listserver, thanks to volunteers from the Boston Amateur
Radio Club: Visit Mailing [email-masked]
<http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/letter-list>. (NOTE: The ARRL
cannot assist subscribers who receive The ARRL Letter via this
listserver.)

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/