Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Burglar gets 1 to 3 years after crime overheard on radio

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:59:46 -0400

Burglar gets 1 to 3 years after crime overheard on radio

JIM KINNEY, The Saratogian April 26, 2003

BALLSTON SPA -- A Texas man caught burglarizing a medical office in Saratoga Springs after
he and his accused accomplice were overheard using walkie-talkie radios will likely be
sentenced to one to three years in state prison.

Bradley D. Farrell, 38, of 3233 Meadow Lake West, Dickinson, Texas, pleaded guilty Friday
to third-degree burglary, the Saratoga County District Attorney's Office said.

Farrell's accused accomplice, Brenda L. McPeak, 41, of Wentzville, Mo., was charged with
third-degree burglary. Charges against McPeak are still pending, the DA's office said
Friday.

Farrell admitted breaking into the Saratoga Care Patient Accounts office on Myrtle Street
Oct. 26, a Saturday, in an attempt to take the safe.

Police said at the time that McPeak was the lookout.

A resident called 911 after hearing McPeak and Farrell talk each other about the burglary
using walkie talkies. The resident at first thought he was listening to police on his
two-way Motorola. But then the resident heard Farrell tell McPeak that he was ''at the
safe'' and to ''throw (the crowbar) by the oak tree.''

A police officer later heard McPeak on the radio warning Farrell, according to a news
release issued in October. The officer called in other units and backtracked his route. As
the officer drove down Myrtle, the officer heard McPeak say, ''He's right out front! Get
out of there!''

That told police the exact location of the burglary. Police described McPeak and Farrell
as drifters. They were staying at a motel in Albany.

Prosecutors said restitution is also part of Farrell's sentence, but his attorney is
contesting the exact amount.

http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7834217&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=6