Subject: [NEXTEL-1] OSHA targeting safety record of tower industry

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:27:09 -0400

OSHA head 
getting serious about tower safety

April 30, 2003

WASHINGTON

John Henshaw, head of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, has urged major
U.S. mobile phone operators and tower owners to hire only those construction firms that
have proven safety records and that follow federal guidelines. 

In an April 18 letter obtained by RCR Wireless News, Henshaw said industry cooperation is
needed to address “a serious problem in the communications tower industry” that has
claimed more than 150 lives over the past decade. 

The letter, while not a federal directive, is the most targeted statement to date by a
high-ranking OSHA official on tower safety and reflects a strategy shift insofar as
expanding the agency’s outreach effort. 

“I ask that you seriously consider contracting only with tower erection companies that
have excellent safety and health records and that you require in your contracts the
following: (1) the erector comply with all OSHA requirements, and (2) all contracts with
subcontractors contain the same provision,” Henshaw stated. “In addition, these contracts
should contain strong language regarding the importance of good safety and health
programs, employee training and education, and fall prevention and fall arrest systems.” 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=8329

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GwtQXA/XP.FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/