Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE Standard Sets Communication Framework for Transportation Emergencies

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:27:05 -0400

IEEE Standard Sets Communication Framework for Transportation Emergencies
Sunday April 13, 7:34 pm ET

PISCATAWAY, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 13, 2003--A new standard from the
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE 1512.1, "Traffic
Incident
Management Message Sets for Use by Emergency Management Centers," creates a
flexible communication framework for transportation emergencies so everyone
involved
in managing them has a reliable and ongoing flow of information.

IEEE 1512.1 is designed to speed response time and reduce message duplication as

regards traffic flows, infrastructure and such traffic management assets as sand
trucks,
video cameras and personnel. It creates a uniform format for messages and data
frames and elements to aid emergency management centers, service providers and
planning bodies, as well as fleet and freight management centers and traffic and
transit
management centers.

"The need for clear two-way communications in transportation emergencies led us
to
develop this standard," says Ann Lorscheider, chair of the IEEE 1512.1 Working
Group
and Metrolina Regional Intelligent Transportation Systems Engineer at the North
Carolina Department of Transportation. "Data flowing among those involved in
managing emergencies must be easily understood.

"Unfortunately, confusion can arise as real-time data is exchanged between
incident
commanders and other sources concerning such areas as traffic conditions and
infrastructure cleanup, repair and replacement. This makes it much harder to
manage
incidents effectively. The new standard seeks to prevent this by providing for
consistent
information transfer to and from traffic management centers and other bodies."

IEEE P1512.1 is part of the family of standards built around IEEE 1512, "IEEE
Standard
for Common Incident Management Message Sets for Use by Emergency Management
Centers." These standards support efficient communications to enable the
management of accidents, planned roadway closures, disasters and other
transportation- related events.

IEEE 1512 standards are sponsored by the IEEE Standards Coordinating Committee
(SCC) for Intelligent Transportation System, SCC 32.

About the IEEE Standards Association

The IEEE Standards Association, a globally recognized standards-setting body,
develops consensus standards through an open process that brings diverse parts
of
an industry together. These standards set specifications and procedures to
ensure that
products and services are fit for their purpose and perform as intended. The
IEEE-SA
has a portfolio of more than 870 completed standards and more than 400 standards
in
development. Over 15,000 IEEE members worldwide belong to IEEE-SA and
voluntarily
participate in standards activities. For further information on IEEE-SA see:
http://www.standards.ieee.org/.

About the IEEE

The IEEE has more than 380,000 members in approximately 150 countries. Through
its
members, the organization is a leading authority on areas ranging from
aerospace,
computers and telecommunications to biomedicine, electric power and consumer
electronics. The IEEE produces nearly 30 percent of the world's literature in
electrical
and electronics engineering and in computer science. This nonprofit organization
also
sponsors or cosponsors more than 300 technical conferences each year. Additional

information about the IEEE can be found at http://www.ieee.org.

Contact:

IEEE P1512.1
Ann Lorscheider, +1/704-342-6814
[email-masked]
or
Karen McCabe, +1/732-562-3824
[email-masked]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030413/135010_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/