Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Officials get hung up in spat over phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:15:16 -0500

Posted on Thu, Apr. 03, 2003

Officials get hung up in spat over phones

Chesco's coroner ordered portable phones and went public when commissioners wouldn't pay
for them.

By Kathleen Brady Shea
Inquirer Staff Writer

The kind of dispute between elected officials that usually stays quiet in Chester County
escalated yesterday when the
county coroner went public with his concerns about public safety communications, which in
turn raised questions
about the county's autopsy rate.

In an unusual move, Dr. Rodger Rothenberger issued a written statement detailing his
frustration that the county
commissioners had denied his office "essential emergency communication tools" -
specifically, Nextel portable phones.

The commissioners responded with annoyance that Rothenberger had chosen to publicize a
budget spat and
suggestions that he had flouted the county's procurement procedure.

"He has chosen to take his disagreement public, which is unlikely to improve his
position," Commissioners Chairman
Colin A. Hanna said.

The public nature of the dispute was unusual because, with the exception of Democratic
Commissioner Andrew E.
Dinniman, all the players are elected Republicans.

The autopsy issue came up after Rothenberger requested the Nextel phones, which can be
used as walkie-talkies, for
his department, Commissioner Karen L. Martynick said.

Among the papers Rothenberger submitted to justify the purchase was a 2002 coroner survey
that included figures
indicating the county's autopsy rate was substantially higher than in comparable counties.
That document raised
more concerns for the commissioners.

The survey said Chester County investigated 1,467 deaths in 2002, resulting in 331
autopsies. Montgomery County's
4,003 deaths produced 110 autopsies.

"Why would Chester County have twice as many autopsies as Montgomery County when Montco
has a higher
population?" Martynick asked.

Dinniman said the number of autopsies raised concerns about cost, as well as compassion.
"Autopsies are expensive
and should only be used as a last resort," Dinniman said. "And more importantly, you have
to remember that you're
dealing with someone's loved one."

Rothenberger, who also is regional vice president of the Southeastern Pennsylvania
Coroners' Association, said that
Chester County's numbers are not out of line and that his office follows strict state
guidelines for when autopsies are
warranted.

He said he told the commissioners that the numbers were informal tabulations and that the
county standards for
defining an investigation vary. "You're comparing apples and oranges [using survey
figures]; I told the commissioners
to get official numbers."

All three commissioners said they remain concerned about the numbers.

Rothenberger believes they should be concerned about the county's readiness to handle mass
casualties.

While the U.S. government is instructing him to have "Code Red preparedness," Rothenberger
said the commissioners
are telling him that they will not approve phone service that proved invaluable to
emergency agencies on Sept. 11.

Nextel phones are essential, Rothenberger said, because cell phones have proven unreliable
during major
emergencies, often responding with "system busy" during periods of high use.

The coroner said the Nextel phones are much more portable than walkie-talkies. In
addition, transmissions cannot be
overheard by outside parties.

Martynick said the deputy coroners had received cell phones; Rothenberger said his
employees had only pagers,
which didn't work well.

He said he felt so strongly about having the equipment that after the commissioners didn't
respond to his requests,
he ordered it himself.

"He came to us in a panic after the second month of bills that the controller wouldn't
pay," Martynick said. "Now he's
mad that he's out $1,400."

Martynick said the commissioners reminded Rothenberger that county contracts have to be
put out to bid, but they
agreed to pay the difference between Cingular cellular and Nextel service - about $200 a
month, Rothenberger said.

The coroner said he has received no reimbursement. He said his deputies have agreed to pay
their individual bills
from now on because "they are committed to doing their job better."

In the meantime, the commissioners said they would continue to review Rothenberger's
request, especially because
other county departments have expressed interest in Nextel phones.

“A lot of people would like to have Nextel because it’s fun,” Martynick said. “I’m yet to
be convinced that deputy
coroners need to talk to each other during an emergency, but if they do, we need to follow
the proper procedures."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/5544627.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/