Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE:Is MA/COM really P25 ??

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 03:56:47 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: John Powell <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Is MA/COM really P25 ???

 From what I've seen (and examined in product literature), the ACU-1000 or 
SmartLinks system will do exactly the same thing for a much lower price, 
though there are a few bells and whistles one might want that NetworkFirst 
provides (like usage reports).  All three have a computer-based user 
interface.  For that matter, a good console cross-patch provides the same 
functionality.

If you have not examined the ACU-1000, or its new miniature version 
supporting fewer radios, it is worth a look.  SmartLinks is also another 
product worth examining; it is a digital buss switch, and I'm told that the 
latest version will support end-to-end encryption.  All have their place, 
and all have the limitations of any crossband switch - coverage, spectrum 
inefficiency and no end-to-end encryption (well, maybe now).  I've talked 
to a number of smaller agencies who were interested in this solution until 
they found out that half of the capacity of their 2-channel system would be 
consumed the minute the patch was activated.  Again, a careful analysis 
needs to be done before any of these patch systems are chosen as a 
solution.  Also prepare your budget carefully, they are not as cheap as 
they may first appear, especially considering the details (cost of many 
control stations/mobiles, antennas, tower and facility engineering, backup 
power, a room to house the equipment and keep it cool, etc).  Ask the folks 
in Lakewood CO who love the switch but also know the actual costs to 
install and keep it running.

John Powell

At 07:57 AM 4/19/2003 -0700, Random Noise wrote:

><< snip >>
>
>
>What NetworkFirst allows is different types of
>communication systems to communicate.  Think of the
>following systems:
>
>Local VFD on VHF analog
>Local EMS on VHF narrowband
>Local Police on UHF analog
>County Sheriff on UHF P25 digital
>State law on 800 MHz EDACS
>Neighboring county sheriff on VHF P25 digital
>
>
>NetworkFirst will act as kind of a super patch that
>will allow any of these systems to communicate with
>each other (or all of them at once if you wish).
>Without something like NetworkFirst the deputy with
>the P25 UHF radio in his car isn't going to be able to
>talk to the state trooper who has an 800 MHz trunked
>radio.
>
>That is all that NetworkFirst aims to solve.  It does
>not improve, enhance or extend coverage areas of any
>of the systems.  It simply allows one system to
>communicate with another and provides a very nice
>control for doing that.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/