Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MARITEL ANNOUNCES FORMATION OF SPECTRUM DEVELOPMENT GROUP

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:05:13 -0400

APRIL 16, 2003
For Immediate Release

*****

MARITEL ANNOUNCES FORMATION OF SPECTRUM DEVELOPMENT GROUP

MariTEL, Incorporated, serving the marine industry’s communications needs for over thirty
years, today announced the formation of MariTEL Spectrum Development.  MariTEL holds radio
spectrum rights for up to nineteen 12.5 kHz VHF (157/162 MHz) contiguous channelized pairs
with a presence in 45 states covering 80% of the U.S. population.  Part of this spectrum
is being used for MariTEL’s marine communications business.  However, because MariTEL
intends to shift the focus of its core business from voice-centric to data-centric
services, MariTEL now has up to 5400 kHz of VHF spectrum available for other purposes.
MariTEL Spectrum Development will manage utilization of these frequencies.

“Given the overall shortage of radio frequencies across the U.S., particularly frequencies
capable of providing wide area coverage, MariTEL believes this spectrum could benefit a
variety of entities considering radio projects,” said Dan Smith, President and CEO of
MariTEL.  “For example, the FCC granted a waiver in February 2003 for the use of MariTEL
frequencies for a public safety project in the state of South Dakota where the wide area
coverage characteristics of VHF provided a significant reduction in capital costs as well
as operating expenses.”

MariTEL can tailor an arrangement based on specific needs – from outright purchase of the
spectrum, to a joint venture in which MariTEL manages communication services.  Further,
MariTEL has developed partnering arrangements with major radio equipment suppliers, such
as Motorola, Kenwood, Tait, Dataradio, ICOM, and IPMobileNet to ensure maximum
compatibility between this spectrum and the intended application.  MariTEL will coordinate
with these suppliers on frequency planning issues.

“The need for secure mobile communications has never been greater,” said Smith.  “MariTEL
stands ready to provide solutions to address this need.”

About MariTEL:  MariTEL, Inc., headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, owns licenses to VHF
spectrum in 45 states across the U.S.  MariTEL provides operator assisted ship-to-shore
voice communications to mariners via VHF radios through its coastal station radio
network.  MariTEL was founded in 1988, consolidating a number of small coastal station
network operators.  MariTEL’s legacy system consists of approximately 40 towers and covers
significant portions of the U.S. coast and inland navigable waterways.  MariTEL is
currently evaluating technologies for providing marine and land-mobile data services using
its VHF frequencies.

*****

For more information please contact Jason Smith at (678) 942-5622, [email-masked]

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/