Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Study: Interoperability Issues Getting Worked Out

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:08:09 -0400

Study: Interoperability Issues Getting Worked Out
BY MARK ROCKWELL
APRIL 9, 2003

WASHINGTON -- Interoperability at wireless public safety networks in the states
has improved dramatically, according to a new study released today.

Based on an assessment of the ability of public safety officials to communicate
by
radio across different wireless systems on demand and in real time, the nation's

interoperability score improved from 40.82 on a scale of 100 in 2001, when the
first study was done, to 57.65 in 2003.

The report, called the State Interoperability Scorecard, was released by the
Public
Safety Wireless Network Program, a joint initiative by the Department of Justice

and Department of the Treasury. It is the second one done by PSWN on state
interoperability.

This year's study shows the environment for land mobile radio systems used by
police and firefighters is steadily improving, says Rick Murphy, PSWN program
manager at the Department of Homeland Security.

States' interoperable network experiences were graded on a three-point scale of
'developing,' 'established' or 'mature.' The grades were made using six key
areas, which include shared system development; coordination and partnerships,
funding, spectrum, standards and technology; and security.

This year's study said Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and South
Dakota moved from developing to established--joining Colorado, Delaware,
Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Utah in the same
category.

The District of Columbia, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, Washington and West
Virginia are in the 'new' category.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=04/09/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/