Subject: [NEXTEL-1] $700,000 county radio ``interoperability'' system

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:23:38 -0400

Posted on Fri, Apr. 18, 2003

AFTER SANTANA ROW

The Santana Row fire last summer prompted the San Jose Fire Department to adopt a list of
policy changes and
equipment upgrades to improve response to fires. Here are some of the changes:

Firefighters won't have to ask on-scene commanders if they can be spared before filling
requests to check on possible
nearby blazes.

A new $700,000 county radio ``interoperability'' system will be online in September to
allow firefighters from San Jose
and other cities to talk to one another with equipment that uses different frequencies.

The department is doubling its supply of handheld ``handy-talkie'' radios so that by June
every firefighter will have one
and chief officers will have a spare they can give to out-of-town units sent to help.
Firefighters also will have three more
tactical channels, expanding their ability to communicate in the field.

By the end of the year, a computerized city program will be in place for tracking ``mutual
aid'' requests for help from
firefighters in nearby cities. That's currently done by hand.

Source: San Jose Fire Department

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/