Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phone Users Talk More On Mobiles Than Home Phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:21:15 -0400

Wireless Subscribers in U.S. Use Cell Phones more than Home Phones, Study Says Wireless
telephone subscribers in the United States now spend, on average, more minutes talking on
their cell phones than they do on traditional landline phones, according to the Yankee
Group's latest quarterly Wireless/Mobile North American Carrier Tracker. Mobile phone use
has been growing rapidly--with the average U.S. subscriber logging 490 minutes of use
(MOU) per month--and surpassed residential landline use during fourth quarter of 2002.
The Yankee Group estimates average household landline voice usage of 1,250 minutes per
month. This is equivalent to 480 minutes per person each month, based on the U.S. Census
estimate of an average of 2.6 people per household.

"More than half of us who have cell phones use them as our primary device for
private voice communication," says Keith Mallinson, Yankee Group executive
vice president of wireless and mobile research. "There's a lot of talk about
people giving up their landli nes entirely--we estimate 10 percent of young urban
adults are doing so--but cord cutters currently only account for a small
percentage of the total population. This trend will increase when wireless
number portability (WNP) enables landline numbers to be ported to cell
phones. Until then, the big issue is the major migration of called minutes from
landlines to cell phones."

======================================================================================
Cell Phone Users Talk More On Mobiles Than Home Phones
Submitted by vlipset on Monday, April 28, 2003

Wireless telephone subscribers in the United States now  spend more time  talking on their
cellphones than they do on traditional landline phones, according to the Yankee Group.

The Boston-based research group's latest  report found that mobile  phone use has been
growing rapidly, with the average U.S.
subscriber logging 490 minutes of use per month, and surpassed residential landline use
during the fourth quarter of 2002. The Yankee Group estimates average household landline
voice usage of 1,250 minutes per month. This is equivalent to 480 minutes per person each
month, based on the U.S. Census estimate of an average of 2.6 people per house hold.
"More than half of us who have cellphones use them as our primary device for private voice
communication," said Keith Mallinson, Yankee Group executive vice president of wireless
and mobile research.

"There's a lot of talk about people giving up their landlines entirely -- we estimate 10
percent of young urban adults are doing so -- but cord cutters currently only account for
a small percentage of the total population. This trend will increase when wireless number
portability enables landline numbers to be ported to cellphones."

http://www.thinkmobile.com/News/00/66/12/

http://www.yankeegroup.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:54:41 -0000

Guilty as charged and it wasn't for my home alarm system requirement 
for copper I wouldn't have a wired phone either.

> landlines to cell phones."
======================================================================
================

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:37:23 -0400

I use a supervised Wells Fargo OFDM closed loop 5 Ghz (Licensed) wireless  system with
cell/PCS back up. I got sick of the Bell Boys  crossing my line at the local switch.

It's cheaper than copper $18 a month with full reporting. (2yr contract)