Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel free to start interconnection tests

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 23:24:05 -0400

Nextel free to start interconnection tests
April 8, 2003 3:16pm

Chile's four mobile telecommunications operators have tacitly accepted an
obligation to allow interconnection testing with Nextel Chile, the local
division of regional trunking operator NII Holdings, local press reported.
The operators had until April 7 to ask the fair
trade agency FNE to overrule their
interconnection obligation, but none of them
filed any kind of appeal. The operators would
have been liable for a fine if they had not
accepted Nextel's right to run the tests.

Nextel already offers analog trunking service
to some 7,000 users in the regions covering
the capital Santiago and second largest port
Valparaiso, and plans to launch digital services
through subsidiaries Centennial and Multikom.

Digital trunking allows calls to be transferred to
other networks, assuming interconnection has
been agreed upon.

The company awaits a verdict on its appeal
against a November court ruling that cancelled
its right to a digital trunking concession. That ruling was the mobile
operators' last chance to attack Nextel's concession directly after their case
was rejected by the telecoms regulator Subtel, the comptroller and the antitrust
commission CRA.
NII Holdings - which also has operations in Argentina, Peru, Brazil and Mexico -
has invested US$30mn in Nextel Chile.

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=query_displaynews&q=NEXTEL&so=&dc=&ro=&ed=&sd=&s=1&boldtext=NEXTEL&sym=&doc_id=NR200304083200.1_3c47000464d7e2fc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/