Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Shocking New Way To Enforce Good Mobile Manners

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:50:13 -0500

Shocking New Way To Enforce Good Mobile Manners

Researchers in the U.K. have designed prototype phones that would send a
shock to wireless consumers using their gadgets inappropriately. Other
designs include a phone that can interfere with another phone conversation and
a phone that requires users to play a loud tune before making a call. The
researcher who designed these phones claims they're not really meant to
generate revenue on the mobile phone market. Instead, they're supposed to
stimulate conversations about when and where wireless phone usage is
appropriate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shock tactics for anti-social mobile use
[A prototype mobile phone]
Anti-social mobile phone users could be punished with an electric shock if
prototypes from a design company go into production.

The increasing irritation of inappropriate or noisy conversations in public places
prompted design firm Ideo to come up with handsets that would encourage
people to be more tactful in their phone use.

The designs are not intended to make it on to the high street but rather to
prompt debate about the social impact of mobile phones.

Designs include a phone with two metal plates attached that could send an
increasing electric shock to people at the other end depending on how loudly
the caller is talking.

Trumpet phone

The catapult phone allows users to aim their own handsets at someone in the
vicinity and at the press of a button will launch a sound to disrupt their
conversation.

"They are intended to stimulate discussion about whether these phones are
any more ridiculous than what we put up with every day," Chief Designer
Graham Pullin told the BBC's Go Digital programme.

Perhaps the most extreme design is a mobile phone in the shape of a musical
instrument.

"It looks like a snake that has swallowed a mobile phone," explained Mr Pullin.

In order to make a call users have to stand up and play a rather gruesome
tune on their musical phone.

"It seems inconceivable that someone would stand up and play it in the middle
of a crowded restaurant so it is a good litmus test about where it is
appropriate to make a call," he said.

For those that do take account of other people when making a mobile call, the
designers came up with a quiet phone that allows users to have a silent
conversation.

Instead of speaking, people simply press a button to reply with an automated
'yes' or 'no' to the person on the other end of the phone.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/technology/2906135.stm

Published: 2003/04/01 10:46:06