Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sheriff Michael S. Carona called the 8000 MHz system "the crown jewel for communication in America.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:43:19 -0400

Sheriff Michael S. Carona called the 8000 MHz system "the crown jewel for communication
in America.

I hope he did not say 8000Mhz and this is just a Typo-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/orange/la-me-radio23apr23,1,3509165.story?coll=la%2Deditions%2Dorange

ORANGE COUNTY

County Emergency Radio Deemed Model for
Nation

From a Times Staff Writer

April 23, 2003

Orange County's emergency radio network, once called a threat to public safety, was
declared a model
for the country Tuesday in a ceremony that marked the end of the 20-year project to
integrate
communications among local law enforcement and public safety agencies. Sheriff Michael S.
Carona
called the 8000 MHz system "the crown jewel for communication in America." He was one of
three
keynote speakers at a ceremony that marked the symbolic end to the $95-million project,
among the most
controversial in county history.

Early failures included officers within the same agency being unable to communicate by
radio because transmissions were blocked by tall structures outside or by apartment walls
inside. Authorities admitted Tuesday that glitches still remain.

Joseph W. Robben, manager of the sheriff's communications division, acknowledged that
coverage needs to be improved in coastal areas and valleys. Two years ago, officials
received about 160 complaints each month about the system, but
Robben said complaints now average 10 per month. Carona and other law enforcement and
public safety
officials expressed satisfaction with the radio network, which is designed to last until
2025.

Robben said that a "substantial upgrade" is scheduled within 12 years as technology
improves. The system will be
expanded in the southern and eastern areas of Orange County, to handle expected population
growth in
the coming decades. The Board of Supervisors signed off on the completed radio network in
February
and authorized payment to Motorola, which engineered the system.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/