Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EFJohnson Selected to Provide Communications Equipment to the City of Phoenix, Arizona

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:02:03 -0400

EFJohnson Selected to Provide Communications Equipment to the City of Phoenix, Arizona

Washington, DC – May 19, 2003 -- EFJ, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI) announced that its
EFJohnson Company subsidiary has been selected to provide 800 MHZ software programmable
5100 series portable and 5300 series mobile radios to the City of Phoenix, Arizona.
EFJohnson is one of three companies included in this award which has an initial term of
two years with an option for three additional years and a total value of $45.6 Million.

“We are pleased to be a part of the team that is bringing state-of-the-art communication
equipment to the City of Phoenix,” said Michael E. Jalbert, EFJ, Inc. chairman and chief
executive officer. “As a result of the collaboration between EFJohnson and the customer,
we are able to provide equipment and support a system that will offer a high-level of
protection to the residents of Phoenix.”

“EFJohnson is extremely gratified to have been selected for this award by the City of
Phoenix, and we look forward to providing quality solutions for their communications
needs” said Denny Blaine, executive vice president of sales & marketing for EFJohnson.

Celebrating its 80th anniversary in 2003, the EFJohnson Company (EFJohnson) provides
digital Project 25-compliant interoperable wireless communications systems solutions for
federal, state and local agencies involved with homeland security and public safety.
EFJohnson was one of the first developers of wireless communications products to be fully
compliant with federal government interoperability specifications. The company designs,
manufactures and markets conventional and trunked radio systems, land mobile radio
repeaters and mobile and portable radios. EFJohnson, headquartered in Waseca, Minnesota,
is a wholly owned subsidiary of EFJ, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI). For more
information, visit www.efjohnson.com.

EFJ, Inc., (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI) is the holding company of industry-leading wireless
telecommunications equipment and solutions businesses. EFJ, Inc. is home to the EFJohnson
Company, one of the first developers of Project 25 mobile communications products
compliant with federal government interoperability standards, and Transcrypt
International, a world leader in secure voice communication solutions. 2003 marks the 80th
anniversary of EFJohnson and the 25th anniversary of Transcrypt International. Stable and
profitable, with headquarters in Washington, D.C., EFJ, Inc. has a proven leadership team
in place with decades of experience in telecommunications and government sales. EFJohnson
and Transcrypt International are wholly owned subsidiaries of EFJ, Inc. For more
information, visit www.efji.com.

Certain matters discussed in this press release constitute forward-looking statements
within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These
forward-looking statements relate to, among other matters, the Company’s continued
development of Project 25 products and infrastructure equipment, customer demand for the
Company’s products, including its digital interoperable and SMARTNET® / SmartZone®
wireless communications solutions, and the Company’s future financial performance and
position. These forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties
that could cause the actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from
those expressed, suggested or implied by the forward-looking statements due to a number of
risk factors including, but not limited to, the level of demand for the Company’s products
and services, dependence on continued funding of governmental agency programs, and other
risks detailed in the Company’s reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission,
including its Annual Report on Form 10K for the year ended December 31, 2002.

http://www.efjohnson.com/News/News_Detail.asp?ArticleID=154

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/