Subject: [NEXTEL-1] American Red Cross Reminds Americans Not to Forget Our Troops and Their Families

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:54:47 -0400

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030507/dcw013_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.; American Red Cross

American Red Cross Reminds Americans Not to Forget Our Troops and Their Families
Wednesday May 7, 8:31 am ET

In New Phase of Operation, Nextel Alliance Offers Simple Way for Public to Show Support

WASHINGTON, May 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Despite an end to major combat in Iraq,
the American Red Cross continues its support of U.S. troops and their
families. Hundreds of thousands of military service men and women continue to
be deployed under Operation Iraqi Freedom and will depend on American Red
Cross emergency communication services to keep them connected to their loved
ones back home. Today, the American Red Cross and Nextel Communications Inc.
(Nasdaq: NXTL - News) launched a nationwide DONATE A PHONE® campaign and customer
donation program to raise critical funds for the services the organization
provides to military members and their families.

ADVERTISEMENT

Through a worldwide communication network, the American Red Cross supports
our men and women in uniform by: facilitating emergency communication;
mobilizing and deploying Red Cross workers to live and work alongside troops;
reaching out to the "changing face" of the military, members of the National
Guard/Reserves and their families; and other social services. From the home
front to the frontlines, the Red Cross delivers emergency messages such as the
death of a loved one, a serious illness or the birth of a child. Since
January, demand for American Red Cross services has increased significantly.
The American Red Cross estimates it will need an additional $8 million over
the next several months to cover costs for emergency communication and other
vital services.
"The critical services we provide around the clock to members of the
military and their families are not driven by conflict, but by the number of
troops deployed," said Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red
Cross. "As long as U.S. troops are deployed -- combat or not -- there is a
need to keep them connected with loved ones back home. We thank Nextel for its
support of American Red Cross efforts."
The DONATE A PHONE® program is a simple way for Americans to support
military members and their families by donating their old wireless phones. The
Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) Wireless Foundation,
the philanthropic organization for the nation's wireless industry and the
creator of the DONATE A PHONE® program, estimates that approximately 30
million old wireless phones lay idle in American homes and businesses.
Americans can participate in the program by taking their old wireless
phones from any manufacturer to any one of Nextel's 400-plus retail stores.
After recycling and refurbishing the phones, Nextel will donate the net
proceeds of the resale value, which averages $1.50 for each phone collected,
to American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services, the arm of the
organization that supports service members and their families. In addition,
the public will have the opportunity to make tax-deductible cash donations to
the American Red Cross at Nextel stores.
Nextel Communications CEO Tim Donahue said, "We at Nextel, like so many
people around the nation, want to help the families whose loved ones are
serving our country overseas. This DONATE A PHONE® campaign is an easy way
for all of us to help keep military members connected to the home front."
The American Red Cross and Nextel officials kicked off the campaign this
morning during a ceremony on the front steps of the American Red Cross
National Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
On hand for the kickoff was Lily Livesay, wife of Army Sgt. Chris Livesay,
a member of the Army's Special Forces division injured in Afghanistan. The
American Red Cross assisted Sgt. and Mrs. Livesay by obtaining lodging for
Lily and provided both with emotional support and other essential items after
Sgt. Livesay was hospitalized at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington,
D.C., on April 11, 2003.
In addition, Evans and Morgan O'Brien, Vice Chairman and Founder of Nextel
Communications, offered remarks during the program.
The DONATE A PHONE® program is slated to continue through Dec. 31, 2003.
Local launches and events in major markets in the United States will take
place throughout the year. For more information on how you can help, please
visit www.nextel.com or www.redcross.org.
About Nextel
Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a
leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has
built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country
covering thousands of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel
Partners, Inc., currently serve 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets. Through
recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today
in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240 million people live or work. For
more information, please visit www.nextel.com.
About the American Red Cross
Governed by volunteers and supported by community donations, the American
Red Cross is a nationwide network of nearly 1,000 chapters and Blood Services
regions dedicated to saving lives and helping people prevent, prepare for and
respond to emergencies. Led by 1.2 million volunteers and 30,000 employees,
the Red Cross annually mobilizes relief to families affected by more than
67,000 disasters, trains almost 12 million people in lifesaving skills and
exchanges more than a million emergency messages for U.S. military service
personnel and their families. The Red Cross is the largest supplier of blood
and blood products to more than 3,000 hospitals across the nation and also
assists victims of international disasters and conflicts at locations
worldwide. More information about the American Red Cross can be found at
www.redcross.org.

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.; American Red Cross
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Buying a home? Get approved for a loan first

·

Get 30 commission-free trades at Ameritrade!

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

LendingTree - Let Banks Compete for You!

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

Pay for a new or used car with a Home Equity line of credit

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

Under $5 Must-Own Stocks - FREE Report!

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Spring?

Related
Quote

NXTL

14.21

-0.44

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Cox, Corning, Conexant Crunch Debt With Cash - RealCommentary from TheStreet.com (7:58 am)

·

[external] M&T Nests In Baltimore - at Forbes.com (Tue May 6)

·

Nextel to Promote Wireless Phone Manners as National Etiquette Week Kicks Off May 12 - Business Wire (Tue May 6)

·

Nextel downgraded by RBC Capital Mkts - Briefing.com (Tue May 6)

More...

·

By
industry:
Aerospace/defense, Health care, Medical/pharmaceutical, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks Near Unchanged; Fed, Cisco Weigh - Reuters (11:31 am)

·

Mortgage Demand Rebounds in Latest Week - Reuters (10:37 am)

·

Treasuries Extend Rally on Rate Cut Hopes - Reuters (9:43 am)

·

Infogrames Changes Name to Atari - Reuters (11:43 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 PR
Newswire.
All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution
of
PRNewswire content is expressly prohibited without
the prior written
consent of PRNewswire. PRNewswire shall not be liable
for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in
reliance thereon.