Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Proposes Additional Spectrum for Unlicensed Use

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 02:14:03 -0400

FCC News
May 15th, 2003

FCC Proposes Additional Spectrum for Unlicensed Use 

Washington, DC

As part of its ongoing effort to promote more flexible, innovative, and market driven uses
of the radio spectrum, the FCC today proposed to make available for unlicensed use an
additional 255 megahertz of spectrum in the 5.470-5.725 GHz band.

In a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) approved today, the Commission proposed that
this spectrum be made available for use by unlicensed National Information Infrastructure
(U-NII) devices, including Radio Local Area Networks (RLANs), operating under Part 15 of
the FCC's rules.  This would increase the spectrum available for use by unlicensed devices
in the 5 GHz region of the spectrum by nearly 80% -- and, it represents a significant
increase in the spectrum available for unlicensed devices across the overall radio
spectrum.  The Commission also proposed additional technical requirements for U-NII
devices, including transition periods for implementation of these requirements.

The Commission stated that the increased capacity gained from access to this added
spectrum, coupled with the ease of deployment and operational flexibility provided by our
U-NII rules, will foster the development of a wide range of new and innovative unlicensed
devices and lead to further wireless broadband access and investment. The Commission also
noted that this action advances the policies set forth in the Spectrum Policy Task Force
Report issued last fall, which specifically recommended that additional spectrum be
provided for unlicensed use.  

This action responds to a petition for rulemaking filed by the Wireless Ethernet
Compatibility Alliance (WECA  now known as the WiFi Alliance).  In agreement with WECA,
the Commission recognized that this proposal aligns the frequency bands used by U-NII
devices with those in many other parts of the world, enabling more widespread use of the
same digital communications products and decreasing development costs for U.S.
manufacturers.

The Commission also proposed several allocations actions consistent with both the U.S.
WRC-03 position and an agreement reached by the U.S. Department of Defense, National Air
and Space Administration (NASA), the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA), and the FCC regarding the 5 GHz band.

Action by the Commission May 15, 2003, by Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in ET Docket No.
03-122, (FCC 03-110). Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and
Adelstein.  Separate statements issued by Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy,
Adelstein with joint statement issued by Commissioners Copps and Martin.

Office of Engineering and Technology contact:  Ahmed Lahjouji at (202) 418-2061

ET Docket No. 03-122

FCC http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234566A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/