Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Longest Wi-Fi Connection Makes the Record Books

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 23:08:37 -0400

4/2003

Longest  Wi-Fi Connection Makes the Record Books

They have the world's tallest man and the world's largest
pancake; now Guinness World Records has officially
recognized the longest distance achieved using Wi-Fi
connectivity. The record-310 km-belongs to Alvarion and
The Swedish Space Corp. (SSC).

The link was made in late 2002 between a stratospheric
balloon that was launched from Esrange near the town of
Kiruna in northern Sweden and a base station located near Esrange. An Alvarion BreezeNET
DS.11 outdoor bridge unit aboard the balloon was connected to a high-power amplifier, a
camera and a server. Data, such as environmental conditions and weather patterns, was
collected and the information was sent back to Esrange via the BreezeNET unit, connected
to
a 2.4 meters dish antenna. The antenna was controlled by automatic tracking system using
GPS (global positioning system) technology.

Information received at the base station was then sent back to Esrange via an internal
network. The information between the balloon and the base station was transmitted over the

2.4 GHz spectrum. The weather balloon reached a maximum height of 29.7 km and drifted
steadily, touching down east of Sodankylä in the northern part of Finland. -Sue O'Keefe

http://www.telecommagazine.com/default.asp?journalid=3&func=departments&page=0304t25&year=2003&month=4&srchexpr=wi%2Dfi#hls1

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/