Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Always-on" Push to talk over Cellular (PoC)

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 19:58:17 -0400

Push to talk over Cellular (PoC)

New Direct Always-On Voice Service for GSM/GPRS Networks

Push to talk over Cellular introduces a new real-time direct one-to-one
and one-to-many voice communication service in the cellular network.
The principle of communication behind the service is simple - just push
to talk. Thanks to the 'always-on'1) connection, calls can be started to
both individuals and talk groups with just a push of a key. The call
connection is almost instantaneous and the receiver doesn't have to
answer the call.

Push to talk service users are typically engaged in some other activity
than a telephone call, and they listen to the group traffic during their
activity. A user can be contacted by the name, or he may occasionally
want to say something to the group. Half-duplex traffic is ideal for such
use cases. This simple, real-time direct communication serves the
diverse needs of both business users and private consumers ranging
from controlled team management to spontaneous sharing of
experiences. Among the many benefits of this solution over conventional
two-way radio systems are the attractive GSM phones and the simple
and fast creation of talk groups and group calls.

Push to talk service is a genuine differentiated voice service, because it
is not a substitute of any existing cellular services. It gives operators an
opportunity to develop their voice service offering without changing
conventional voice services.

The Push to talk service is an integral part of the IP Multimedia
communication portfolio envisioned by Nokia, and a part of the service
offering in IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS). It is based on half-duplex
Voice over IP (VoIP) technology over the 2nd generation GSM/GPRS
network. Thanks to the IP technology, the Push to talk service uses
cellular access and radio resources more efficiently than circuit-switched
cellular services, reserving network resources only for the duration of talk
spurts instead of for an entire call session.

Nokia believes that Push to talk service must be based on open
standards to enable multivendor environment and interoperability
between different terminals and services. Nokia has participated in an
industry initiative together with Ericsson and Siemens on the Push to talk
over Cellular solution and the solution will be open to other
manufacturers as well. This solution offers terminal manufacturers an
opportunity to implement the Push to talk facility across GSM mobile
phone categories, thus giving end-users more freedom to choose the
products that best meet their communication needs.

1) "Always-on" means that a subscriber has typically direct access to the service after
the subscription to it without additional measures (such as dial-up) provided that
cellular network supports the service, is available and is not overloaded.POC

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,5184,5764,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/