Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Monday, May 26, 2003

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:34:38 -0400

FYI-

C L A S S   A C T I O N   R E P O R T E R

BRIDGESTONE CORPORATION: Institutes Recall of 42 Steeltex Tires
---------------------------------------------------------------
Bridgestone Corporation recalled 42 Steeltex radial tires for the same type
of defect that led to a massive recall of its
Wilderness tires, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA), Reuters English News Service
reports.

The NHTSA announced the recall of Steeltex tires manufactured between March
9 and March 15, 2003, because of potential tread separation defects that
"can possibly lead to a vehicle crash, resulting in serious injury or
death," it said on its Web site.
Bridgestone Firestone has advised NHTSA that all of the tires affected by
the recall have been removed from the field, the Web site said.

The voluntary recall came in the midst of a NHTSA review of whether 27.5
million Steeltex R4S, R4SII and A/T tires should be recalled tread
separation defects.  The agency is considering whether to reopen its
investigation of the tires at the behest
of Los Angeles attorney Joseph Lisoni, who filed a $3 billion proposed class
action last year accusing Bridgestone of
concealing defects in the heavy-duty tire.

The lawsuit claims the tire (R4S, R4S II, A/T), installed on 43 types of
vehicles such as pickups, vans and mobile homes, caused thousands of serious
accidents including fatalities.  NHTSA's decision on whether to reopen its
investigation of Steeltex tires is expected by May 27.

Bridgestone is still fighting rollover lawsuits in courts across the United
States stemming from tread separation in its Wilderness tires, which were
standard equipment on the Ford Motor Co. Explorer and other sport utility
vehicles.  About 20 million Wilderness tires were recalled, 14 million by
Ford and 6.5 million by Firestone.

An attorney for Bridgestone said the current recall of 42 Steeltex tires was
unrelated to the lawsuit, brought by Mr. Lisoni, over defects in the
heavy-duty tire, and would not affect it.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/