Subject: [mobile-ip] checking changes for issue #267

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:48:26 -0700

Jari -

> CP 267 Adopted  Yes  22     Additional editorial issues from Ed,
> Bryan, Greg

I have verified that everything reported in issue #267 has been fixed in the
latest MIPv6 draft.

Note that it is actually very important that the CN not route optimize the
HoT message, otherwise L3 move processing would never work (if the CN route
optimized the HoT, it would send it directly to the MN's old CoA, but the MN
has just done a L3 move and is no longer on the old link to receive the
HoT). I really like the new requirements text in section 6.1 "Mobility
Header" that addresses this and similar issues:
"  Mobility Header messages MUST NOT be sent with a type 2 routing
   header, except as described in Section 9.5.4 for Binding
   Acknowledgement.  Mobility Header messages also MUST NOT be used with
   a Home Address destination option, except as described in Section
   11.7.1 and Section 11.7.2 for Binding Update.  Binding Cache
   information (when present) for the destination MUST NOT be used in
   sending Mobility Header messages.  That is, Mobility Header messages
   bypass the Binding Cache check described in Section 9.3.2 which is
   normally performed for all packets.  This applies even for message
   sent to or from a correspondent node which is itself a mobile node."

I will continue looking at other issues starting with the older ones (when I
can find time). The rest of today may be bad, because we are still trying to
do a beta release of our MN stuff, but tomorrow will probably be good.

Thanks.
- Ed