Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile phone controls TV's

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 12:42:56 -0400

Mobile phone controls TV's

Posted to the site on 09-May-03

NEC is using an infrared (IR) transceiver from Agilent Technologies in its new mobile
phone, that will also act as a
TV remote control in the house.

With the Agilent HSDL-3002's IR port, the NEC N504iS mobile phone provides cordless
communications functions
such as exchanging pictures with other handsets. In addition, the transceiver can also
control TVs and VCRs up to 6
meters (approximately 20 feet) away from the handset. A preinstalled application supports
remote control of Sony,
Sharp and Panasonic televisions. For other devices, users can download remote control data
configurations from an
NEC-operated i-mode site or, since the N504iS is a smart remote, it can record signals
from existing IR remotes to
control other entertainment devices and home appliances.

The NEC N504iS -- introduced by NTT DoCoMo in Japan in late November 2002 -- is equipped
with a 1.9-inch, 4,096
color STN (supertwist nematic) LCD and supports data transmission speeds up to 28.8 Kb/s.
Its 310,000-pixel
CMOS image sensor camera includes a "Access Reader" OCR function, which can capture
alphanumeric data such
as e-mail addresses, URLs and phone numbers on business cards.

"Today's mobile phones incorporate both IR ports and an incredible amount of data
processing capacity, which
means that the addition of the capability to record and transmit remote control signals is
easily added," said Kee
Hane Ngoh, operations manager of Agilent's Infrared Products Operation. "NEC's experience
shows other
manufacturers that they can increase the value of their products at very little additional
cost."

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/8830.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/