Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Morggie Hits The West Coast With The "Nextel Smoke & Mirrors Show"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:18:23 -0400

Morggie Hits The West Coast With The "Nextel Smoke & Mirrors Show" 

Now You Hear Me.......Now You Don't......... Someone Cut Sprint's Cable Again!
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030520/205705_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications

Public Safety Leaders Address Critical Homeland Security Communications Needs
Tuesday May 20, 1:42 pm ET

California Attorney General and Former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Stress Need for Interoperable Communications for First Responders

SACRAMENTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 20, 2003--
Governor's Office of Emergency Services Leaders Address Funding
Opportunities

Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today hosted a
conference devoted to interoperable communications at the Sheraton
Grand Hotel in Sacramento, California. This event highlighted the
pressing advanced day-to-day and emergency communications needs facing
police, fire, emergency management and other public safety and health
officials. The event attracted over 100 homeland security, public
safety and public health officials from Northern California.

ADVERTISEMENT

The conference showcased interoperability - the idea that all
public safety officials must have the ability to connect with one
another through reliable and secure communications regardless of
jurisdiction or department. Speakers included Bill Lockyer, Attorney
General, State of California; California Senator Chuck Poochigian,
Assistant Republican Leader and Chair of the Senate Republican Caucus;
James Lee Witt, President of James Lee Witt Associates, LLC and former
Federal Emergency Management Agency Director; Joey Phelps, Contract
Manager for the GSA Network Contract, General Services Administration;
Paul Jacks, Deputy Director, Governor's Office of Emergency Services;
and Morgan O'Brien, Nextel Vice Chairman.

Nextel has supported public safety and government organizations
across the United States for many years and continues to serve with
rapid, reliable and secure communications. Nextel was integral in
providing interoperable communications to the clean up efforts
following the tornados that ripped through Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri,
and Tennessee just days ago. Nextel continues to provide wireless
services and handsets to a variety of local, state and federal
agencies and organizations across the region. The handsets have
restored lines of communication and have provided links among the
emergency services responders, government leadership and those
individuals working to restore power and water services.

In February, immediately following the Space Shuttle Columbia
tragedy over Texas, Nextel dispatched its Emergency Response Team
(ERT) to provide emergency communications capabilities for the
recovery operations. Assistance was requested by the Texas Division of
Emergency Management (DEM), National Disaster Medical System (NDMS),
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and NASA, all which needed
expanded interoperable communications. Nextel provided handsets,
service and critical infrastructure support: cell sites on wheels
(COWs), which extended wireless communications coverage into remote
recovery areas.

James Lee Witt, president of James Lee Witt Associates and former
director of FEMA, stressed that interoperable communication is
essential for today's emergency management professionals. "From the
communications failure during the Northridge earthquake to the ongoing
need to communicate every day, our nation's first responders need to
be able to communicate during day-to-day operations and in emergency
situations. These tools are fundamental to keeping the American people
safe."

Nextel Communications is hosting a series of interoperability
conferences around the country that are designed to educate consumers,
government and public safety officials about the capabilities of and
demand for interoperability.

While addressing guests during the conference, Nextel Vice
Chairman Morgan O'Brien said, "It is a true honor to have those who
have been on the front lines with us here to reinforce and highlight
our commitment to reliable, secure and interoperable communications
tools. We believe that the public sector deserves the best available
communications technology. We continue to enhance Nextel's unique
technology to serve your needs and give you world-class capabilities."

About Nextel Communications

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully-integrated wireless voice and data
communications services including Direct Connect®- the long-range
digital walkie-talkie feature; all-digital cellular service; Nextel
Online® wireless data solutions; and two-way messaging. Nextel and
Nextel Partners, Inc. currently serve 198 of the top 200 U.S. markets.
Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners' wireless
voice and packet data communications services are available in areas
of the U.S. where approximately 240 million people live or work.

Contact:

Nextel Communications
Media
Jennifer Weland, 925/279-2363
Leigh Horner, 919/465-3712
or
Investors
Paul Blalock, 703/433-4300

Source:
Nextel Communications
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Under $5 Must-Own Stocks - FREE Report!

·

Get 30 commission-free trades at Ameritrade!

·

Are Your Kids Buckled in Properly?

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Refinance. Close in as little as 30 days

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Summer?

·

LendingTree - Let Banks Compete for You!

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

#1 site for Credit: www.eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

Related
Quote

NXTL

14.17

+0.52

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

UPDATE - Nextel sees solid future, stock climbs - Reuters (Tue May 20)

·

[external] BT pact lifts Nortel; phone stocks rise - at CBS MarketWatch (Tue May 20)

·

[external] Handful of Wireless Shares Rally - at TheStreet.com (Tue May 20)

·

[audio] Steve Harmon: NXTL up on CEO guidance; we say watch out for competition in push-to-talk [1.6 min] - ON24 (Tue May 20)

More...

·

By
industry:
Aerospace/defense, Computers, Government, Law, Networking, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Nikkei Ends Down on Forex - Reuters (2:12 am)

·

McDonald's, Tyson Fall on Mad Cow Worries - Reuters (Tue May 20)

·

Stocks Dip but HP-Led Rally May Follow - Reuters (Tue May 20)

·

HP's Quarterly Profit Tops Expectations - Reuters (Tue May 20)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.