Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Hit With New Class Action Consumer Lawsuit

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 23:30:53 -0400

Nextel Hit With New Class Action Consumer Lawsuit
Nextel Customer Commences Class Action Over Add-On Fees

May 6, 2003 3:26pm

PHILADELPHIA, May 6 /PRNewswire/ -- A Nextel cellular phone customer has commenced a class
action in the
Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas today arising out of Nextel's practice of adding to
customer bills a "Federal Programs Cost Recovery" fee of $1.55 per month as well as other
charges. The other charges attacked in the Complaint are identified as a "Federal TRS
Charge" and "Federal Universal Service Assessments."

The Class of Nextel customers is defined as "all persons who sustained damages as a result
of becoming subscribers to
Nextel Service Plans who were wrongfully charged [the above listed] assessments."

The Nextel customer, Seth Lamb, a Pennsylvania resident, claims that these charges "were
not referred to by Nextel at the
time of purchase of [Nextel] Service Plans and are imposed unilaterally by Nextel at its
discretion." The Complaint goes on to
claim that these charges "breach the terms of the service agreements" and the advertised
prices for Nextel Service Plans.

Richard D. Greenfield, a Royal Oak, Maryland lawyer specializing in the litigation of
consumer class actions stated that:
"Nextel practices are part of a new trend in the wireless telecommunications industry.
Vendors are adding these surprise
``jack-in-the-box' charges to customer bills which add substantial amounts over the life
of the contracts." Anthony J.
Bolognese, Co-Counsel for the plaintiff, said, "This is an outrage. These companies
advertise fixed prices for bundles of minutes then add charges that appear to be taxes to
unsuspecting customers."

Copies of the Complaint can be obtained by email request at [email-masked].

CONTACT: RICHARD D. GREENFIELD
(410) 745-4149
ANTHONY J. BOLOGNESE
(215) 814-6750

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=printnews&doc_id=NR200305061680.2_111600052ac87ad7

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/