Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Intel drags Centrino 802.11a, screaming into Q3

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 22:14:55 -0400

Intel drags Centrino 802.11a, screaming into Q3

Prepares for next-gen wi-fi system

By Mike Magee: Tuesday 06 May 2003, 09:46

AN EMBARRASSED HUGE chip firm called Intel was
unable to launch support for the 802.11a wi-fi standard when
it introduced its Centrino bundle earlier this year.

But roadmaps seen close to an Intel Swindon watering hole have
revealed it's now on target to include that support in the third quarter
of this year, with the introduction of its Pro Wireless 2100A platform
and its Sebring 4.2 software.

Support for 802.11b wireless networking using the mini-PCI
adaptor is already available, but its 2100A Mini PC adaptor will
support 802.11a at 5.15-5.35GHz only and 802.11b then.

However, this is just a precursor to what Intel is already calling the
Next Generation Intel Pro/Wireless platform, scheduled to ship with
its Dothan 90 nanometer shrink in the first quarter of next year.

So far Intel is being a little coy about the "next generation" chipset
that comes with the arrival of the Dothan/Pentium M shrink. Perhaps
it should be a little embarrassed that support for 802.11g, already
available from D-Link and Linksys, seem to be "hotcaking", while
Her Indoors is lagging behind on what's fast being adopted.

If notebook manufacturers use 802.11g, they stand losing valuable
marketing money that Intel is dishing out for firms that use the
Centrino name, but nevertheless, this seems to be what the market
is demanding right now.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9328

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/