Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Southern LINC and Bytemobile Team to Enhance Mobile Data Experience

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:13:33 -0400

Southern LINC and Bytemobile Team to Enhance Mobile Data Experience

    Business Editors/High-Tech Writers

    ATLANTA & MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 19, 2003--

Bytemobile Optimization Services Node Enables Southern LINC iDEN Network to Deliver Faster
Speeds and a More Desirable Mobile Data Service to Customers

    Southern LINC, the wireless communications service from Southern Company (NYSE:SO),
and Bytemobile, the company dedicated to delivering pure, optimized access to network
operators, service providers and enterprises, today announced a new relationship to
enhance the mobile data experience. Southern LINC has deployed Bytemobile's Optimization
Services Node (OSN) in its iDEN network to enhance its mobile data service offerings.
Southern LINC business and government customers can now benefit from increased data speeds
and improved reliability when accessing any web-enabled content from PDAs and laptops.
    "This gives our customers the opportunity to become more efficient through faster
access to wireless data, " said Bob Dawson, president and CEO of Southern LINC. "By
teaming with Bytemobile, our customers are able to closely simulate desktop computing in a
wireless environment."
    Southern LINC selected Bytemobile's inline Web and email optimization solution
deploying a network-based OSN and end user client software. The standalone client delivers
optimization benefits with the most commonly used data protocols, including those
supported by Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes. As a result, customers can access e-mail
and other web-enabled data faster than before.
    "Wireless carriers like Southern LINC realize the need to deliver fast, reliable
mobile data solutions that help replicate the office environment for customers," stated
Steve Livingston, executive vice president of worldwide sales and marketing, Bytemobile.
"While compression and optimization are critical to enhancing the mobile customers'
experience, progressive carriers also need to leverage solutions that will provide a
platform from which to provision new services for mobile customers."
    "Understanding the need to evolve service offerings to meet the growing demand of
customers and leveraging the right technologies to meet these needs will help carriers
like Southern LINC maintain leadership positions and further differentiate themselves with
competitive offerings," Livingston added.
    The OSN employs Bytemobile's proprietary Macara(TM) Dynamic Optimization Technology,
which uses existing radio spectrum and infrastructure resources to offer expanded data
services and enhance customers' wireless data experience.

    About Southern LINC:

    Southern LINC, which stands for Long-range Integrated Network Communications, covers
127,000 square miles in the Southeast, including major metro and rural areas in Alabama,
Georgia, southeastern Mississippi and northwest Florida. Using Motorola's iDEN technology,
Southern LINC combines multiple communication services into one handset or installed
device including Instant LINC(SM) two-way radio, phone service, 1-way and 2-way text
messaging, wireless Internet access and wireless data access. Southern LINC is also
recognized by Motorola as the most reliable iDEN network in the world. More information
about Southern LINC can be obtained by calling 1-800-818-LINC (5462) or visiting the
Southern LINC Web site at www.southernlinc.com

    About Southern Company:

    With 4 million customers and nearly 37,000 megawatts of generating capacity,
Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is the premier super-regional energy company in
the Southeast and a leading U.S. producer of electricity. Southern Company owns electric
utilities in four states, a fast-growing competitive generation company, an energy
services business and a competitive retail natural gas business, as well as fiber optics
and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer
service and high reliability. Southern Company has been named No. 1 on Fortune magazine's
2002 "America's Most Admired Companies" list in the Electric and Gas Utility industry.
Southern Company has more than 500,000 shareholders, making its common stock one of the
most widely held in the United States. Visit the Southern Company Web site at
www.southerncompany.com.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.051903/231395186&directory=/altavista&header_file=header.htm&footer_file=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/