Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Question about use of digital.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:34:33 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Stephen Verbil <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Question about use of digital.

We've been over this a couple of times already.  You need to be careful that 
you're not comparing P25 with 25 kHz analog.  We haven't been able to get any 
channels in my region that were not 12.5 kHz for a while now; and under the 
FCC report and order that door closes for everyone at the end of this year...

Secondly, and probably more important, for those of us in urban and mixed 
urban-suburban environments, we are being asked to design for in-building 
coverage to the portable.  Especially given the low ERPs we are getting 
today, the only way to achieve that is by using simulcast.  Simulcast in the 
digital world is easier to achieve (than analog), and in small conventional 
systems (say, 3 or fewer channels) the landline connectivity is cheaper than 
that which I need for analog, and it is almost a wash in costs on the 
infrastructure side.  And, as I have said before, digital is literally the 
difference between working indoors and not working indoors.  Much of that can 
be laid at the feet of the robust FEC built into P25.

What kills us is the cost of subscriber units, which is simply the 
manufacturers trying to get back their development costs in a hurry.  I am 
not convinced (as another writer to this group is) that the reason they cost 
so much is because of the difficulty of manufacture.  

---Steve Verbil

On Friday 30 May 2003 04:24 am, you wrote:
> ________________________________________________________________________
>
> Message: 10
>    Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:10:24 -0700 (PDT)
>    From: Mark Hollingsworth <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Question about use of digital.
>
> From out field testing in Olympic National Park, never
> once has digital had more coverage. It may be quieter,
> but the analog ALWAYS has had the same or better
> coverage.
> Sometimes it is much better in analog, especially in
> heavy timber during rain. Others at the mountaintops,
> with huge multipath problems.
> P25 is very succeptable to multipath- I wish it were
> as good as modern cell phones, but it doesn't come
> close.
>
> mh
>
>
> --- Keith Gilbertson
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/