Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Takes To The Slopes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 02:37:52 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2003/5381.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Wi-Fi
Takes To The Slopes

19th
May 2003

Europe
: The world Nordic ski championship is a big event on a big mountain
in the Trentino region of Italy. TV coverage is the only way to bring
all the action to the public, and now TV coverage has been extended
to the mobile handsets of visitors to the championship. PacketVideo,
the world leader in mobilemedia software, has provided its streaming
video solution for mobile devices to power a new wireless WiFi service
offered during the Val di Fiemme World Nordic Sky Championship. The
service is part of a broader WI-Fi testing project owned by Telecom
Italia.

The Val di Fiemme
World Nordic Ski Championship is the first Telecom Italia event in which
a streaming video service has been offered via wireless devices (specifically
HP iPAQ pdas). Nordic skiing is very strong with the Northern Europe
audience, where Wi-Fi services and public hot spots are common. Recognizing
that many visiting Nordic ski fans are familiar with WiFi services,
the organizing committee of the championship accepted the pilot project
sponsored by Telecom Italia.

"The objective
we wanted to reach with this project was to make people understand how
it is possible to get high quality video and advanced information services
through a combination of Wi-Fi access and a small size device."
Said Sandro Pierdonati, Principal Consultant of HP, who managed the
project.

The service was
produced the Telecom Italia Service Center by an editorial group which
selected the most significant and spectacular moments of the event.
The video clips were then transmitted through a satellite channel, and
distributed to WiFi-equipped PDA through PacketVideo's pvServer(tm)
video streaming server. Every PDA used in the service also had PacketVideo's
pvPlayer(tm) installed, for viewing the highest quality video images.
The combination of HP equipment and PacketVideo software allowed users
to view the most exciting moments in download mode by accessing a dedicated
web portal.

"This pioneering
wireless video service shows that PacketVideo technology successfully
operates in a variety of mobile environments, including Wi-Fi, GPRS
or UMTS. The flexibility, scalability and adaptability of PacketVideo's
mobilemedia solution make it ideal for any market scenario being evaluated
by telecommunication service providers." said Patrick Parodi, Regional
Director, PacketVideo Europe.

Marco Gilardi -
Managing Director of Juniper Extensible Solutions, the local operator
collaborating on the project with HP and Telecom Italia, explains "Within
this project, iPaq PDAs with 11Mbps Wi-Fi PCMCIA cards were used to
access the service. Users of the system included journalists from all
over the world, members of FIS International Direction, (a RAI work
group in charge of producing the world wide TV signal ), members of
several evaluating groups including Oberstdorf/Allgäu 2005. Other
important groups, including those evaluating mobilemedia solutions for
Sapporo, Bormio 2005 and Torino 2006, have been able to directly check
the efficiency of the system."

"The project
has been a complete success," concluded Gilardi "At the end
of the Championship, the mayor of Cavalese, who had been part of the
Organization Committee, decided to keep the WiFi infrastructure at the
Congress Palace, utilizing the technology after the event."

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

O2
Launch GPRS Video Trial

Emblaze
Systems announced the launch of a trial for mobile video with O2, a leading
provider of mobile services to consumers and businesses in the UK.

Videoconferencing
Via Wi-Fi

Calypso
Wireless C1250i video cell phone is the first and only mobile phone capable
of using Wi-Fi to connect users to the Internet at blazing broadband speeds
of 11,000KB per second, enabling movie-quality, real-time video conferencing.

E-Plus
Takes 3,723 3G MobilCom Sites

Since
both MobilCom and E-Plus have concluded agreements with Nokia and Ericsson
to supply UMTS technology E-Plus is able to use the MobilCom infrastructure
components.

3G
Mobile Services Live In Russia

VimpelCom,
Russia's leading mobile operator, and Alcatel are demonstrating new 3G/UMTS
mobile applications and services live at the Svyaz-Expocomm trade fair.

GCF
Approval 3G Mobile Terminals

Anritsu
Corporation proudly announces that its ME7873A W-CDMA TRX Performance
Test System and MX785201A W-CDMA Protocol Test System have gained approval
of the Global Certification Forum (GCF)[*2] in Europe.

Yell
Wirelessly To XDAs

Under
the new agreement the Yell.com service will enable O2 users to search
for information on more than 1.7 million UK businesses. This facility
marks the first agreement of its kind for Yell.com.

Wi-Fi
Takes To The Slopes

PacketVideo,
the world leader in mobilemedia software, has provided its streaming video
solution for mobile devices to power a new wireless WiFi service.

UK
3G Market Escapes Regulation

Measures
to promote competition and reduce the price of calling a mobile phone
have been proposed today by Oftel.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.