Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EXHIBIT TO HIGHLIGHT WIRELESS INNOVATION-MAY 12

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 21:31:20 -0400

FCC News 5/5/03

MAY 12 EXHIBIT TO HIGHLIGHT WIRELESS INNOVATION

Demos Include Technology for 
Wireless Broadband, Personal 
Safety, Homeland Security, 
Healthcare 

Washington, DC

A real-time wireless tracking device uses a wrist watch, GPS, and the Internet to let
parents know where their children are at all times, to help keep track of elderly or ill
family members, and to enable a child to find a lost pet.  A chip inserted into the body
of a diabetes patient measures blood sugar levels throughout the day as the patient goes
about his normal daily routine and relays the results back to a remote location. 
Employees in a building or on a campus have the ultimate in freedom and mobility by
sharing voice and text messages over wireless-enabled networks.  

These are among the innovative new technologies made possible by recent advances in radio
communications and spectrum policy initiatives that will be demonstrated at a Wireless
Innovations Technology Showcase in Washington, DC on May 12, 2003. 

The Wireless Innovations exhibit is part of a two-day conference May 12-13, entitled
“Wireless Innovations: New Technologies and Evolving Policies,” sponsored by the U.S.
Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration
(NTIA), in cooperation with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S.
Department of State’s International Communications and Information Policy (CIP) group. 
The technology exhibit will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday, May 12.  A policy panel
discussion will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 13.  NTIA plans to
provide further information about panel topics and participants.   

The two-day event will be held at the U.S. Department of Commerce Lobby and Auditorium at
1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W. (entrance on 14th Street).  

FCC Chairman Michael Powell said, "The Wireless Innovations conference vividly illustrates
why I am so committed to spectrum reform.  If we are to truly serve the public interest,
we must have policies worthy of the innovation and entrepreneurship evidenced here. The
Commission in recent months has risen to this occasion by designating more spectrum for
licensed and unlicensed use, overhauling our service rules, and examining receiver
standards.  We will continue to pursue this agenda diligently in the months ahead armed
with the insights and information gained at the conference."  

Exhibitors include:

Wireless Networking:

--Aperto Networks Inc., Milpitas, CA
--Alvarion Inc., Carlsbad, CA
--IPWireless Inc., San Bruno, CA 
--Motorola Inc., Schaumburg, IL
--Roadstar Internet Inc., Bluemont, VA
--TeleCommunications Systems Inc., Annapolis, MD
--Terabeam Inc., Kirkland, WA
--Towerstream Inc., Waltham, MA
--Vocera Communications Inc., Cupertino, CA

Location and Identification:

--Columbia CRN, Columbia University, NY
--Wherify, Inc., Redwood Shores, CA  

Leading Edge:

--Agilent Technologies Inc., Palo Alto, CA
--Summitek Instruments Inc., Englewood, CO
--Vanu Inc., Cambridge, MA

Detailed information about the exhibitor demonstrations (subject to change) and company
contacts is available at http://www.fcc.gov/sptf.

The showcase and panel discussions will be open to the public and press on a first-come
first-serve basis and space is limited.  Due to security requirements, and to facilitate
entry to the Department of Commerce building, attendees must have photo identification
available and/or a U.S. government building pass, if applicable, and plan to arrive at
least one half our ahead of the panel sessions.  The events are physically accessible to
people with disabilities.

For further information contact:  Bill Lane, FCC Office of Strategic Planning, at 418-0767
or at [email-masked].

Or, Joe Gattuso, NTIA Office of Policy Analysis and Development, at 202-482-1880 or at
[email-masked].

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234117A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/