Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City Radio System Provides Better Communication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:20:14 -0400

05/19/03 - Nacogdoches
City Radio System Provides Better Communication

460 foot radio tower for the City of Nacogdoches

by Donna McCollum

Your safety depends tremendously on how well emergency response workers communicate with
dispatchers and other agencies.

A 460 foot radio tower is the key provision to better communication for police, fire and
public works departments in the City of Nacogdoches.

Chief Rusty Sanders said, "This is one small step into what the future is going to bring
us with this radio system."

He refers to the installation of digital VHF radio system.

It's increasing the services now provided by Nacogdoches protectors.

Lt. Darrell Trawick demonstrated an additional improvement. Police now receive information
over computers installed in squad cars.

"This system allows officers to do more on the street, more than they normally would,"
explained Trawick.

Digital, allows officers crisper signals from the car and on foot. The old analog system
put officers in danger when they hit dead spaces around town. Now the signals blanket the
city.

Motorola Sales Manager George Ebelt said, "We want to have the best, almost equal coverage
from a mobile and a portable because that's his only lifeline back to dispatch. It's
tremendous coverage on the county level when really only the city boundaries is what we
were attempting to cover."

So far Nacogdoches is the only East Texas city that has digital communications, but other
agencies will eventually join in.

In the meantime the sheriff's department, ambulance and volunteer firefighters remain on
analog.

Knowing this the city purchased a mixed mode system that allows the new digital radios to
communicate with analog radios that are now being used by other agencies.

Motorola Account Manager Lloyd Waugh said, "As long as they have the same frequencies that
they had before on their radios, the volunteer fire departments, their analog system off
their old radios will be able to go through this system and talk to the fire department in
the analog mode."

However, scanner listeners already know they can't hear city communications through their
analog scanners. Digital scanners are available through special order.

Ebelt complimented city leaders at a ribbon cutting ceremony. "You guys have made a
wonderful leap into technology that is going to be around in the forefront for a long
time. That applause the leaders of the city."

The digital radio system is the city's first 2002 capital improvement project to be
completed.

 http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=1285282&nav=2FH5FuVQ

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/