Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Walkie-talkie from Sylacauga to Seattle

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 13:42:33 -0400

Walkie-talkie from Sylacauga to Seattle
Ryan Mahoney   Staff

Beginning June 16, disembodied voices from as far away as Boston and San Francisco will be
heard throughout Birmingham workplaces, shops and homes.

That's the day Reston, Va.-based Nextel Communications Inc. will add Alabama, Georgia and
the South Carolina coast to its Nationwide Direct Connect network, which allows
subscribers to reach each other anywhere in the continental United States and Hawaii using
the company's signature digital two-way radio service.

Nextel's Alabama customers currently must use the cellular feature of their phones when
calling farther than Florida or Georgia. But by the end of summer, all 197 of the
company's markets will be Direct Connect-ed with one another, according to spokeswoman
Norma Tharp.

Some cities in New England and Southern California already are hooked up to the new
national network.

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2003/05/05/daily42.html?t=printable

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/