Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lufthansa Signs Deal to Offer In-Flight Internet Service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:32:49 -0400

Lufthansa Signs Deal to Offer In-Flight Internet Service

German airline Lufthansa has signed a deal to offer in-flight Internet access
on all of its long-haul fleet. Starting next year, Connexion by Boeing service
will be installed on about 80 Lufthansa jets. Lufthansa and Boeing tested the
service on flights between Washington, D.C. and Frankfurt, Germany. It was
offered for free. The value of the contract with Boeing was not announced, nor
was the price passengers would pay to use the in-flight Internet service.

=========================================================
Lufthansa to launch in-flight Wi-Fi service

By Bloomberg News

MUNICH, Germany — Deutsche Lufthansa signed a contract with Boeing that will
allow Europe's third-largest airline to offer
in-flight wireless Internet access on all of its intercontinental flights.

Lufthansa plans to equip its 80 Boeing 747-400 jets and its Airbus A340 and
A300 planes with the technology as well as to
"become the first airline company worldwide to introduce broadband Internet on
board its entire long-haul fleet," the Cologne,
Germany-based carrier said.

Boeing expects to have 150 planes equipped with wireless networks by the end
of 2004 and plans to charge $25 to $35 for
wireless access during international flights. The Wi-Fi networks use radio
waves to send data at high speeds. To hook up, a
user needs to be within about 500 feet of a so-called "hot spot" with a
computer equipped with a card to receive the radio
signal.

Lufthansa said it will offer a free portal with news, weather, stock-market
and destination-region data on planes equipped with
the technology. The portal will be continually updated by satellite during the
flight.

The airline tested the wireless technology on one plane on its
Frankfurt-Washington route between January and April.

Boeing satellite unit stole trade secrets, suit says

LOS ANGELES — Hughes Space & Communications, which is now owned by Boeing,
stole trade secrets from a fledgling
satellite company during discussions to form a business venture, according to
a lawsuit.

AssureSat claims it developed a "breakthrough invention" to quickly replace
broken commercial satellites. Hughes Space &
Communications took confidential information during talks to become
AssureSat's manufacturing partner, the suit filed in Los
Angeles Superior Court said.

Boeing spokesman Dan Beck said the company doesn't comment on pending
litigation.

— Bloomberg News

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134830929_boeingnet28.html

===================================================================================

Lufthansa offers broadband Internet on board of entire long-haul fleet

09:01  Wednesday May 28, 2003,
Telecom.paper

Passengers and the experts were equally enthusiastic about the practical test
this spring. Now Lufthansa is going one step further and will become the first
airline company worldwide to introduce broadband Internet on board its entire
long-haul fleet. Wolfgang Mayrhuber, Deputy Chairman of the Executive Board of
the Deutsche Lufthansa AG, and Scott Carson, President of Connexion by Boeing,
signed a corresponding agreement in Frankfurt. The contract calls for the
successive equipping of a total of around 80 Boeing 747-400 as well as Airbus
A340 and A330 long-haul aircraft from the beginning of next year.

'The Internet is being given wings and will enable the mobile business
traveller to make better use of his flying time', said Wolfgang Mayrhuber.
'Internet on board will open up new perspectives in future: from entertainment
to telemedicine.' Scott Carson added: 'Through this agreement, Lufthansa has
clearly taken a position of leadership within the aviation industry in recog!
nizing the added value that broadband connectivity can bring to its passengers
and to its airline operations,' said Connexion by Boeing President Scott
Carson. 'We salute them for their pioneering spirit and the vision we share
for enhancing the travel experience for their passengers and for creating new
value opportunities for their airline operations.'

Mayrhuber pointed out the great importance attached to technological
development by Lufthansa: 'Lufthansa was always a pioneer of technological
developments in aviation. In this connection, our focus is on the customers
and their needs. A will to innovate, customer-orientation and a high level of
quality will continue to be the key to our success in future. That is why even
in economically difficult times we are investing in the latest technology.'

As was the case during the trials of the Lufthansa FlyNet between January and
April, Lufthansa will also offer an exclusive free portal during normal
operations. It will provide co! mprehensive Lufthansa information as well as
news, weather, stock market and destination region data. This portal, which
will be permanently updated by satellite during the flight, simultaneously
represents a unique new marketing platform for partner companies of the
airline. In addition, passengers can surf in the Internet without hindrance or
set up a secure data connection via Virtual Private Network (VPN) to the
company's own Intranet or mail server. For the first time in aviation, FlyNet
will make the wireless access of conventional laptop computers and other
mobile terminals possible with the WLAN technology. In preparation for the
commercial service introduction, Connexion by Boeing and Lufthansa are working
on a host of payment options that will allow passengers to enjoy full access
to the Internet including the use of Miles and More bonus miles or payment of
a nominal service access fee.

At the same time, August W. Henningsen, Chairman of the Executive Board of
Lufthansa Technik AG, signed another agreement with Connexion by Boeing with
respect to the development work for the installation of the satellite
communication system. The principal element in this contract, is to support
Connexion by Boeing in the design and planning of the installation on the
long-haul aircraft of the Lufthansa fleet. Furthermore, Lufthansa Technik will
produce a corresponding installation kit with service bulletins and make it
available to Connexion by Boeing. Lufthansa will thereby, continue to be
actively involved in the design, modification and certification process.

Lufthansa Technik has already carried out the equipping of the first trial
aircraft worldwide, a Lufthansa Boeing 747-400, and had it certified according
to the regulations of the European Joint Aviation Authority (JAA). Thanks to
their extensive experience in the development of communication systems for VIP
and business travel aircraft, the Hamburg engineers made an important
contribution to the successful start of Lufthansa FlyNet.

 http://www.telecom.paper.nl/index.asp?location=http%3A//www.telecom.paper.nl/site/news_ta.asp%3Ftype%3Dabstract%26id%3D29655%26NR%3D992

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/