Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Remarks of Jonathan S. Adelstein, Commissioner,Workshop on Cognitive Radio Technologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:35:44 -0400

Remarks of Jonathan S. Adelstein, Commissioner,Workshop on Cognitive Radio Technologies
Federal Communications Commission

Workshop on Cognitive Radio Technologies
Office of Engineering and Technology
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC

May 19, 2003

Let me welcome you again to the Workshop on Cognitive Radio Technologies.  Thank you for
taking the time to participate in today's discussion.  I appreciate the folks in OET
inviting me to help kick-off the event and the work of Jim Schlicting and Mike Marcus in
organizing the workshop.  While I've only been at the Commission for six months, I've been
really impressed with the professionalism and expertise of the OET staff - even though
Julie and Bruce couldn't help me fix the remote control on my office TV the other day! 
Seriously, it's been a real pleasure to work with Ed Thomas and his staff on the many key
technical issues we've already addressed this year.

As I've tried to make clear, I'm a big fan of wireless services.  I'm fascinated by
spectrum-based technologies, which are increasingly the real drivers of innovation in
telecom.  Today we're exploring the amazing possibilities that cognitive radio
technologies have to offer.  

Use of spectrum touches our lives in a lot of ways.  Whether calling for help with a flat
tire, staying in touch with our family, or helping with a problem at work, spectrum is the
medium we can use on the go to make our lives safer and more productive.  The incredible
progress we've made in wireless is also enhancing the security and prosperity of our
Nation.  

The cognitive radio technologies that are today's focus offer the potential for even more
innovation that can spur our nation's productivity and our citizens' safety.

Of the many challenges Congress has charged the Commission with, spectrum management is a
top priority.  I've set out an approach for spectrum policy in what I have called a
"Framework for Innovation."  In dealing with spectrum, I believe the Commission has a
responsibility to establish ground rules for issues such as interference and availability,
but applying the rules with a light touch.  In this area, fortunately, we can rely heavily
on technology, with engineering and innovation driving increased performance, increased
capacity, and more and better services for consumers.

New cognitive radio technologies can potentially play a key role in shaping our spectrum
use in the future.  These technologies can lead to the advent of smarter unlicensed
devices that make greater use of spectrum than possible today - without interfering with
licensed users.  Cognitive radios may also provide licensees with innovative ways to use
their current spectrum more efficiently, and to lease their spectrum on the secondary
market.  I saw some of these very technologies demonstrated last week at the summit at
NTIA, and am just amazed by their potential.

In the broader framework, cognitive radio technologies offer the promise of helping us
leave the world of command-and-control behind and create an environment where a framework
for innovation can leverage their potential benefits.  The potential of these technologies
to "do more with less" can help us make room to accommodate both more users and the newest
service offerings.

Cognitive radio technologies can also help address two critical points identified in the
recent Spectrum Policy Task Force Report with which I strongly agree.  First is the goal
of "increasing the public benefits derived from the use of radio spectrum," and, second,
the concern that "increasing demand for spectrum-based services and devices are straining
[our] longstanding and outmoded spectrum policies."

I commend Chairman Powell for his leadership in this area, and applaud the hard work of
Dr. Paul Kolodzy, Lauren Van Wazer, and the Task Force staff for helping identify spectrum
management areas ripe for reform.  This follow-on workshop is an excellent example of how
I think we should define and pursue our key spectrum policy goals.

With the right framework in place, we will continue to see exciting innovations increase
performance and capacity.  These will offer consumers more and better services, no matter
where they live.  The right kind of spectrum management policy promotes these developments
by pushing boundaries to accommodate new technologies and services.  As policy makers, we
always need to consider the latest technologies in managing the spectrum.  Of course,
that's a big part of why we're here today.

Again, welcome to today's workshop.  Please help us think through these critical public
policy issues so that we remain "cognitive" of them in the future.

And thank you for joining us this morning.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234658A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/