Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A Joint OSP-OET White Paper on Unlicensed Devices and Their Regulatory Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:54:33 -0400

Unlicensed and Unshackled:

A Joint OSP-OET White Paper on Unlicensed Devices and Their Regulatory
Issues

May 2003

OSP Working Paper No. 39

Abstract

In this paper, we present a survey of the origins of unlicensed wireless
devices, their governing regulation, the current technological state of
the art, an overview of the market with information from publicly
available sources, and an analysis of the potential regulatory issues. 
Unlicensed wireless devices are permitted to emit radio frequency
energy, without specific authorization, registration, or grant of a
license.  Today, millions of unlicensed devices are already in operation
in a multitude of important uses for industry, medicine, government,
national defense, and in the homes.  The market for unlicensed wireless
communications devices is experiencing unprecedented growth into a
multi-billion dollar industry – quite striking in light of the severe
downturn in the U.S. telecommunications and technology sectors. 
Unlicensed devices advance the public interest, necessity, and
convenience for the American people by enabling applications not
possible with wires or that do not require the acquisition of spectrum
rights through the licensing process.  However, without a
forward-looking approach to policy reform addressing the fundamental
problem of interference and maintaining these low entry barriers to
spectrum, much of the benefit and promise of unlicensed devices may be
delayed, or unrealized.  We conclude that the effective policy reform
includes enabling more unlicensed spectrum and promulgating rules to
encourage technological and market-based solutions to optimize efficient
use and sharing of spectrum.  

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234741A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/