Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Asked to Free More Spectrum for Public Safety Use

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:20:53 -0400

FCC Asked to Free More Spectrum for Public Safety Use

Northrop Grumman's information technology division is asking the U.S. Federal
Communications Commission to set aside 10 MHz of spectrum in the 700 MHz band
for use by the Department of Homeland Security and pubic safety agencies. The
700 MHz band is currently used by television broadcasters. According to
Northrop Grumman's wireless project manager, spectrum in the 700 MHz band is
"cleaner," can be used nationwide and can enable public safety agencies to use
high-capacity data, video and voice transmissions. Television broadcasters are
expected to oppose the Northrop Grumman proposal. The FCC declined to comment
on the issue.

===========================================================================
More U.S. Airwaves Sought
FCC Urged to Release Spectrum for Public-Safety Use

By Yuki Noguchi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 28, 2003; Page E05

A division of Northrop Grumman Corp. said yesterday that it is petitioning the
Federal Communications Commission to free up
more airwaves so that the Department of Homeland Security and public-safety
agencies can set up advanced wireless
communications systems.

Northrop Grumman's information technology division, based in Herndon, last
month asked the FCC to consider reallocating 10
megahertz of spectrum in the 700-megahertz frequency range for public-safety
use, so that those airwaves can be developed
for a more advanced network to handle high-speed Internet, video and voice
calls simultaneously.

Northrop is hoping to eventually profit from the federal government's
increasing appetite for a more sophisticated, faster way to
coordinate the communications between various branches of the government. FCC
officials declined to comment on the
proposal.

The spectrum that Northrop is requesting for government use is now used by
television broadcasters, although they are
expected to abandon it when they adopt newer digital technology. Eventually,
most of the spectrum in the 700 megahertz range
will be vacated and auctioned off; Northrop wants the additional spectrum to
go to the government without getting auctioned
off to commercial service providers.

"We're trying to create a playing field to put in wireless broadband," said
Royce Kincaid, Northrop's wireless project manager.
The physical properties of existing spectrum allocated for public-safety use
do not allow for really high-capacity transmissions,
which is important to secure borders, monitor customers and coordinate law
enforcement. The 700-megahertz band covers
more territory and can transmit within buildings, he said.

Several wireless-service operators are lobbying or planning to lobby the FCC
to free up spectrum for homeland security use --
all in the hopes that they will benefit from increased business with the
government, said Ronny Heraldsvik, director of marketing
for Flarion Technologies. The New Jersey firm developed the wireless
technology that Northrop is jointly marketing to the
government. The spectrum Northop is asking for is "cleaner" because it could
be made available nationally and is near the
existing public-safety spectrum, Heraldsvik said.

The Northrop proposal is likely to spark opposition from television
broadcasters, who don't have to give up the spectrum until
at least 2007. The National Association of Broadcasters said its members won't
be rushed off the airwaves.

"Once the transition to digital is complete, this issue goes away, because
broadcasters will not be using those channels," said
Dennis Wharton, a spokesman for the association. "We shouldn't lose sight of
the fact that during times of crisis, local
broadcasters provide breaking news and information to citizens better than any
other technology."

 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46287-2003May27.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/