Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless priority access phones being returned due to budget woes

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:30:08 -0400

This is as bad as TSA staffing the Airports with new Security Gurads only to fire them six
months later.
=================================================================================
Wireless priority access phones being returned due to budget woes
May 07 13:21:00, 2003

ARLINGTON, Va.—Since the National Communications System no longer pays for wireless
priority access service, some
phones are being returned because agencies can no longer afford them, said the NCS’s Kathy
Blasco on Wednesday at
a meeting of the Telecommunications Service Priority System Oversight Committee.

States and localities are saying, “It’s this (wireless priority access) or we put gas in
the police cars,” said Blasco.

Wireless priority access service is an add-on available to certain specified entities.

Previously NCS paid the extra charges associated with WPS but due to funding cuts that is
no longer true, said Blasco.

Currently T-Mobile USA Inc. is the only WPS-available carrier. It will be a year before
Cingular Wireless L.L.C., AT&T
Wireless Services Inc. and Nextel Communications Inc. come on board. It will be at least
two years before the CDMA
technical glitches will be worked out allowing Verizon Wireless and Sprint PCS to offer
WPS.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/