Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Agriculture buys $1 million worth of EF Johnson IP radios

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:42:24 -0400

Agriculture buys $1 million worth of EF Johnson IP radios

05/14/03
By Joab Jackson,
Staff Writer
EFJ Inc., Lincoln, Neb., has announced two government contract wins totaling more than $1
million for its digital land mobile
radios.

The sales, which were won by the company’s EF Johnson division, represent a growing market
for radios that are
Internet-ready and meet emerging interoperability standards, said Jim Ridgell, vice
president of EF Johnson’s federal business
unit. From Palm Beach County, Fla., the company won a contract worth $485,000 to provide
land mobile radios for county
service vehicles and public transportation buses. The company will provide its 9800 series
Smartnet mobile radios as well as its
5300 series digital mobile radios. The 5300 series provides the capability of using
Internet protocol to send and receive voice
traffic.

From the Department of Agriculture, the company won a $580,000 contract to provide digital
radios to the agency’s
Washington buildings. The company will provide digital mobile 5300 series radios, as well
as voice-over-Internet protocol, or
VOIP, repeaters.

According to Ridgell, the Agriculture Department plans to integrate its land mobile radio
voice and data traffic into the agency’s
data network infrastructure.

The 5300 line of radios also comply with Project 25 standards, which have been established
by an industry consortium to
insure interoperability among different digital land mobile radios used in the public
safety community. More information on
Project 25 may be found at http://www.project25.org.

These are not the first Project 25-related government wins for the company. In January,
the company announced it had won a
$2 million subcontract from General Dynamics Corp., Falls Church, Va., to provide Series
5300 radios for use by an
unidentified federal agency.

Agriculture buys $1 million worth of EF Johnson IP radios