Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phone Saves Family Trapped in Blaze

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:46:30 -0400

Updated: 05-18-2003 01:37:08 PM

Cell Phone Saves Family Trapped in Blaze
............
JOANNA WALTERS
Reprinted with Permission, New York Post

May 18, 2003 -- A trapped mother and her three children made a frantic
cell-phone call to the Fire Department yesterday as flames engulfed
their Harlem apartment.

Martha Florez, 40, was caught in a bedroom on the 17th floor of 2971
Eighth Ave. with daughter Tiffany Montanez, 13, and sons John, 8, and
Jason Montanez, 7.

"The woman got on her cell phone and called the Fire Department," said
FDNY Deputy Chief Robert Busch.

"She said they were trapped and they could not get past [the flames]."

The family was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Neighbors described the children as high-spirited and playful.

According to Busch, the rescue was difficult because of a moving truck
and construction to the side of the building.

Fire officials said the blaze was started apparently by someone playing
with matches.

Additional reporting by Philip Messing
http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=10807&sectionId=46

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/