Subject: [NEXTEL-1] What's New @ IEEE in Communications, May 2003

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 18:00:37 -0400

WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE IN COMMUNICATIONS

VOLUME 4          NUMBER 5         MAY 2003

An HTML version of this newsletter can be viewed on our online
archive at <http://www.ieee.org/products/whats-new/wncomm0503.htm>

1. IEEE Communications Magazine Examines Advances in Internet Technology
2. How China Throttles Web Access: An IEEE Spectrum Special Report
3. South Korea Embraces Broadband in a Big Way
4. IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference Comes to Boston
5. Tenth International Conference on Telecom Releases Proceedings
6. IEEE-SA Launches Web Site for European Standards Community
7. New Tools Enable Transition to IPv6 Enhanced Network Services
8. MIS and LAN Managers Resource Available from IEEE
9. Study: IEEE Journals Priced 42% Below Industry Average
10. Three Million Monthly Downloads: IEEE Reaches New Milestone
11. New Mortgage Services Offered Through IEEE Financial Advantage Program
12. Copyright Wars: IEEE Spectrum Reports
13. Engineering Careers Come in Four Varieties

*********************************
TRY A NEW IEEE SOCIETY
Dues now half price!
<http://www.ieee.org/addservices>
*********************************

1. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE EXAMINES ADVANCES IN INTERNET TECHNOLOGY
The May issue of IEEE Communications Magazine contains a special feature on
the advancements in Internet technology, continuing the magazine's Internet
Technology Series. This issue presents three carefully selected,
peer-reviewed papers on the topic, including: "Interdomain Traffic
Engineering with BGP;" "Dynamic RSVP Protocol;" and "Tandem-Free VoIP
Conferencing: A Bridge to Next-Generation Networks." The guest editorial is
accessible to all readers at:
<http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/public/2003/may/index.html>.

IEEE online subscribers can access these articles via IEEE Xplore at:
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?puNumber=35>

2. HOW CHINA THROTTLES INTERNET ACCESS: AN IEEE SPECTRUM SPECIAL REPORT
This month, IEEE Spectrum Online looks at Web access in China and discusses
the new technologies that the Chinese government is using to censor
material over the Internet. These technologies enable the Chinese
government to more effectively censor sensitive material and also to turn
up or down the level of control at any given time.
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/may03/chinaweb.html>

3. SOUTH KOREA EMBRACES BROADBAND IN A BIG WAY
More than fifty percent of homes with Internet access in South Korea now
have high-speed connections, according to recent CNET.com article.
According to the article, the South Korean government has worked with
telecom providers to develop the globe's leading Internet network and
turned the country into the model wired society. The result: many Koreans
have wholeheartedly embraced their broadband connections in a relatively
short period of time, as the Internet has been interwoven into all aspects
of their lives. Read more:
<http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-999695.html>

4. IEEE RADIO AND WIRELESS CONFERENCE COMES TO BOSTON
The IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference (RAWCON) will be held 10 to 13
August in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. IEEE RAWCON is a leading
interdisciplinary forum for the latest results in wireless technology,
highlighting the intersection of RF technology and wireless communication
system design, with a focus in wireless data systems. One recurring theme
is the impact of advances at the component level on performance at the
system level, and the impact of system-level requirements on
component-level design. To register, visit:
<http://rawcon.org/rawcon2003/confprofile.html>

IEEE sponsors more than 300 technical conferences and workshops each year,
highlighting the latest technological advances. Find events through
the IEEE ConferenceSearch Web site at
<http://www.ieee.org/conferencesearch/>

5. TENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON TELECOM RELEASES PROCEEDINGS
The proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Telecommunications
(ICT), held 23 February to 1 March 2003 in Tahiti, are now available from
the IEEE Online Catalog & Store. Topics covered include WDM, 3G, active
networks, mobile networks and much more. For more information, or to
purchase, visit:
<http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=EX628>
***What's New Special - Use Code WNI for 15% Off - order instructions
below***

6. IEEE-SA LAUNCHES WEB SITE FOR EUROPEAN STANDARDS COMMUNITY
The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) has launched StandardsEurope (TM),
a Web portal for its European standards community. The portal supports
those who want to learn about, participate in and access technical
standards, especially in the fields of IT, telecommunications, and power
and energy. It also serves the needs of IEEE-SA volunteers who help create
standards, as well as IEEE-SA members, customers and international
partners. Visit:
<http://www.standardseurope.net>

7. NEW TOOLS ENABLE TRANSITION TO IPv6 ENHANCED NETWORK SERVICES
Over the next two years, the telecom industry can expect a large increase
in the number of Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) deployments, according
to a recent article in Communications Systems Design. By utilizing new IPv6
transition software tools, communications system designers will be able to
benefit from the efficiencies of IPv6 to develop improved network services.
Read more:
<http://www.commsdesign.com/csdmag/sections/cover_story/OEG20030501S0010>

8. MIS AND LAN MANAGERS RESOURCE AVAILABLE FROM IEEE
In "The MIS and LAN Manager's Guide to Advanced Telecommunications," a book
from IEEE Press and John Wiley & Sons, the author examines the
technologies, devices, and equipment commonly used by telecommunications
carriers. Discussions include the basics of voice and data communications
as well as a wide range of telecommunications topics, particularly wide
area networks and digital networks focusing on client server LAN networks.
Major issues surrounding LAN interconnection are explained in
easy-to-understand language and numerous illustrations. To purchase or find
more information, visit:
<http://www.wiley.com/remtitleinternational.cgi?isbn=0769500994>
***IEEE members: Receive a 15% discount on any Wiley-IEEE Press titles. Use
code 18493 at checkout***

9. STUDY: IEEE JOURNALS PRICED 42% BELOW INDUSTRY AVERAGE
A new study finds that IEEE magazines, transactions, journals and letters
are priced significantly below those of other publishers. The annual IEEE
Journal Pricing Study looks at prices based on a statistically average
500-page journal. It shows that in 2002, the average institutional price of
an IEEE periodical was 42% less than the average list price of a
comparative electrical engineering or computer science publication. (IEEE
members receive additional discounts off of list prices of IEEE
periodicals.) These findings are in keeping with the IEEE non-profit
mission to publish quality material of scientific value at an affordable
price that ensures continued publication and fosters technological
innovation.

By joining an IEEE Society, IEEE members can choose a subscription to IEEE
journals and magazines at a special member rate that is a fraction of the
list price. IEEE publishes 120 journals in electrical engineering, computer
science and related technologies. For more information on IEEE member
subscriptions, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/addservices>

10. THREE MILLION MONTHLY DOWNLOADS: IEEE ONLINE USAGE REACHES NEW
MILESTONE
Usage of IEEE online technical information reached another new milestone
when more than 3.2 million article PDFs were downloaded by researchers
during the both of the first two months of this year. Users downloaded
3.238 million papers in January 2003, and 3.208 papers million in February.
This is more than double the number of downloads during the same two-month
period in 2002. The increase has been driven by new IEEE customers and
greater use of online articles by IEEE members. For information on
accessing IEEE papers online, visit:
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org>

11. NEW MORTGAGE SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH IEEE FINANCIAL ADVANTAGE PROGRAM
The IEEE Financial Advantage Program (FAP) now offers a new mortgage
program that provides competitive mortgage rates. This service is offered
to IEEE members at a discounted rate and includes a variety of loan
options, fast loan approval and professional guidance offered to each
member.  This program is being offered in conjunction with Wachovia
Corporate Mortgage Services and is available to all members inside the
United States. For more details this and other FAP services, go to:
<http://www.ieee.org/fap>

12. COPYRIGHT WARS: IEEE SPECTRUM REPORTS
A brave new world of digital entertainment awaits, but as IEEE Spectrum
magazine reports, this future risks being stalled by the lack of consensus
on digital copyright control. The consumer electronics industry wants
abundant content to be readily and cheaply available to drive the sale of
new products; the entertainment industry, meanwhile, wants fair
remuneration for the use of that content. These potentially contradictory
goals are leading to heated battles. Read more about the war:
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/may03/intro.html>

13. ENGINEERING CAREERS COME IN FOUR VARIETIES
During the last half-century, engineering career types have evolved from
lifelong corporate engineers to today's global engineers. In the latest
edition of IEEE-USA Today's Engineer, Vern Johnson writes that this has
created four varieties of modern engineers: the Corporate Engineer, the
Learning Engineer, the Contract Engineer and the Contract Engineer
Expanded. Many engineers today probably identify with the characteristics
of more than one type. Which combination fits you?
<http://www.todaysengineer.org/April03/variety.asp>

***WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE SPECIAL - 15% OFF SELECT IEEE PRODUCTS LISTED IN THIS
ISSUE!***
As a thank you to WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE subscribers, our readers receive a
15-percent discount on the purchase of any of the specially noted books and
conference proceedings listed in this newsletter. When ordering from the
IEEE Online Catalog & Store, located at <http://shop.ieee.org>, include the
code WNI in the special instructions field at "final checkout." If ordering
by phone, provide the code WNI to your customer service representative.
Offer expires on 31 Dec. 2003.

Terms & Conditions: Discount applicable only to items noted in this
newsletter and only to orders placed directly with the IEEE. Orders placed
through resellers are not eligible for the What's New 15% discount. Coupons
cannot be combined with any other offer. What's New 15% discount does not
apply to IEEE Press and John Wiley & Sons Inc. partnership titles, however,
IEEE members receive a 15% discount on Wiley-IEEE Press titles purchased at
the Wiley.com Web site.

**********************************************************************

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/