Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Job opening ...But why is a GROL still required?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:49:05 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Cobbeldick, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Job opening   ...But why is a GROL still required?

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments.  This was exactly the sort of
discussion I was hoping for!

My personal feelings on the FCC decision in the early 1980's to downgrade
holders of 1st & 2nd class licenses to GROL level was an injustice to the
holders of such licenses, after all the hard work they have invested in
obtaining the license.

(With the 'rush' to migrate most everything in the marine radio world to
digital and satellite, I wonder what the future holds for holders of the 1st
and 2nd class Radio Telegraph licenses?)

Getting back on topic, attempts have been made over the years by APCO,
NABER, PCIA and others for an industry certificate of competency.  And I
applaud their efforts.  But there exists no one single standards certificate
that is universally accepted since the demise of the 1st & 2nd Class FCC
Radiotelephone license.

Other trades/vocations have a 'Certificate of Competency", why not us?

We have a lot of young and bright people coming into this industry.  I see
them every day.  But without a single basic standard of training, nobody is
"singing off the same page" as far as technical qualifications. 

1- A Basic Technician Level Certificate (entry level)

2- A Master (or Senior) Technician Level Certificate

3- Endorsements for various specialized tasks over and above normal    
   land-mobile radio equipment:
     IE:   Microwave
           PCS/Cellular Equipment
           P25 Systems
           Etc.

4- A Continuing Education Program to keep everyone current with evolving  
   technology.

This could help the prospective employers know who has a basic level of
training and experience.  And it could help job candidates prove levels of
education and experience to employers.

Comments?

I promise I will get off my soapbox now.

Have a good weekend,
Mark C.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/