Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [APCO Exchange:] Cost Sharing on 800 MHz Radio System]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:15:13 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [APCO Exchange:] Cost Sharing on 800 MHz Radio System
To: [email-masked]

The following new message has been posted on APCO Exchange Forum at 
<http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi>. 

*************************************************************************** 

  MESSAGE:  (#1676) Cost Sharing on 800 MHz Radio System 
            <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=1676> 
  AUTHOR:   Robert Bailey 
  DATE:     Thursday, 22 May 2003, at 5:02 p.m. 

I am looking to contact any 911 Commission or agency that is currently 
allowing other public safety agencies; federal, state, and local to use
excess 
capacity on an 800 MHz trunking system. If they are allowed to utilize
the 
system do they pay a portion of the cost to maintain the system and how
is the 
cost determined. My final quesiton is whether non-public safety agencies
ie; 
public works, water & sewer, streets & drainage, etc also allowed to
utilize 
the excess capacity and how is their cost determined. I would greatly 
appreciate copies of any existing policies, information on cost
allocations, 
or anything else you may have related to this type of project. If
sending 
documents or to contact off-line please use the following info. 

Robert G. Bailey Jr. ENP 
Harrison County Emergency Communications 
911 Coordinator 
15309-B Community Rd. 
Gulfport, MS 39503 

Ph: 228-831-0760 
Fx: 228-831-0762

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:34:37 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [APCO Exchange:] Re: Cost Sharing on 800 MHz Radio System
To: [email-masked]

  MESSAGE:  (#1682) Re: Cost Sharing on 800 MHz Radio System 
            <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=1682> 
  AUTHOR:   Alan Tilles 
  DATE:     Friday, 23 May 2003, at 9:42 a.m. 

  Reply To: (#1676) Cost Sharing on 800 MHz Radio System 
  Author:   Robert Bailey 
  Date:     Thursday, 22 May 2003, at 5:02 p.m. 

I see that you have received several responses on your question from the
PS 
side. With regard to sharing with non-PS users (including city or county 
utilities) the answer is highly dependent on your licensing. If, for
example, 
your frequencies are entirely from the Public Safety Pool, you will need
a 
waiver to let non-PS use the system, and then you can do your sharing
along 
the lines suggested by the other commenters. 

Similarly, if all of the channels are Business or Industrial/Land 
Transportation Pool frequencies, you'll need to obtain a waiver for the
PS 
users (for example, the waiver that we obtained for East River
Electrical 
Power Coop in S. Dakota). 

If, on the other hand, the channels come from the General Category, you
have 
several options: (1) converting the license to a non-profit cooperative
(FB7) 
(if you wish one licensee and responsible party); (2) a trunked
community 
repeater (FB4) (if you wish each of the parties to obtain their own
licenses); 
or (3) converting the license to an SMR license. Although typically not 
something that governmental entities are comfy with, this last option
gives 
you the most flexibility, although does have some downsides (i.e.
potential 
Universal Service contributions). 

If you need any additional information, we'd be happy to help. 

Alan S. Tilles, Esquire 
Shulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker, P.A. 
11921 Rockville Pike, Third Floor 
Rockville, Maryland 20852 
301-231-0930 
www.shulmanrogers.com