Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bandwidth For Bucks At NextWave

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:49:20 -0400

Wireless In Brief

Bandwidth For Bucks At NextWave

NextWave Telecom could build a network across its footprint for
the sum that Cingular Wireless is reported to be willing to pay for
some of NextWave's bandwidth, but NextWave also could listen to
offers for more of its spectrum. Both Cingular and NextWave
declined to comment on reports that the companies are negotiating
a cash deal valued at $1.3 billion to $1.5 billion for roughly 20
percent of NextWave's licenses, which include 30 MHz in the 1900
MHz band in 96 markets covering most of the United States
including 83 of the top 100 markets. However, NextWave
acknowledges that it could leverage its spectrum holdings into cash
to fund building its network.

NextWave (Hawthorne, N.Y.) acquired its licenses by bidding nearly
$5 billion in a 1996 spectrum auction, but lost the properties in
1998 after it failed to make scheduled payments and filed for
Chapter 11 protection. However, the Supreme Court in January
decided that the Federal Communications Commission had no
authority to seize NextWave's spectrum licenses since it was in
bankruptcy reorganization. For more on NextWave's potential sale
of its spectrum and other hot topics in the wireless space, be sure
to read the next issue, available June 4, of PBI Media's Wireless
Data News newsletter. For subscription information, visit the
"newsstand" at http://www.TelecomWeb.com.

-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/