Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fake tree versus fake power pole- Council members must decide which style of cell

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 03:23:23 -0400

Tri-Valley Herald

Article Last Updated: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 4:03:15 AM PST

Fake tree versus fake power pole- Council members must decide which
style of cell
By STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - PLEASANTON -- If you want to build a cell phone
antenna in Pleasanton, the chances of getting it approved may be better
if you promise to make it look like a tree.

At least that's what Verizon Wireless thought when it proposed building
a 60-foot-tall pole with six to nine panel antennas at a self-storage
facility at 3470 Boulder St. As it turns out, the company still has to
argue its case before the City Council.

Pleasanton, like many other cities, requires cell phone antennas to be
"stealthy" and to blend into their surroundings.

So instead of a type of antenna known as a monopole, Verizon proposed
building a "monopine" -- a big plastic tree with antennas in its
simulated branches.

Competitors Sprint PCS and Nextel Communications recently built a fake
tree for their antennas at 7315 Johnson Drive.

But in this instance, city officials said, a monopine would have stuck
out like a sore thumb. There aren't any big trees where Verizon wants to
put its antenna, next to a Pacific Gas & Electric Co. substation -- just
power poles.

The best way to make the antenna blend in with its surroundings, the
city said, was to make it look like a power pole -- right down to
reproducing the texture and brown color.

Which raises the question: Instead of building a fake power pole for the
panel antennas, why not put them on an existing power pole? It turns out
PG&E requires clearance between power lines and antennas, which would
have made a real power pole topped by cell phone antennas 75 feet tall.

So the company building the antenna for Verizon submitted a new plan for
a 60-foot monopole antenna, which the city approved on March 31.

But Verizon hasn't been able to start building the antenna. City
Council- woman Jennifer Hosterman appealed the decision so that other
design possibilities can be discussed. The City Council will decide
tonight whether to continue the process or let the antenna be
constructed as approved.

The Pleasanton City Council meets at 7 tonight in council chambers, 200
Old Bernal Ave., Pleasanton.

http://www.trivalleyherald.com/Stories/0,1413,86~10671~1402988,00.html#

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/