Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Another Push Toward PTT

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 15:45:34 -0400

Another Push Toward PTT
BY SUE MAREK
MAY 1, 2003

A lot of attention has centered around wireless operators' not-so-secret desires to offer
a push-to-talk service similar to the one that propelled rival Nextel Communications'
successful Direct Connect service. That instant chat feature could appeal not only to
blue- and white-collar workers but also to teenagers accustomed to instant messaging via
the Internet and predisposed to chatting it up on cell phones.

Exactly how the early PTT handsets will look, feel and sound is not so well known.  Some
technologists say a dedicated PTT button isn't necessary, although it may make a lot of
sense in the real world. But a word of caution from some in the industry: If too much
thought goes into it, it could muck up the simplicity that push to talk offers. Says
Curtis Wick, director, testing and technical support for LG Infocomm: "In reality, push to
talk is a very basic and simple service … We need to keep it simple."

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA295475&spacedesc=Features&stt=000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/