Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC does wireless spectrum shuffle

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:17:03 -0400

FCC does wireless spectrum shuffle 

By Richard Shim 
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
May 16, 2003

The Federal Communications Commission is taking steps to make more efficient use of the
available wireless spectrum and open up more spectrum for communications.

The agency said it is responding to a dramatic increase in demand for wireless spectrum,
which has come about as a result of explosive growth in wireless communications
technologies and demand for services.

In its late Thursday announcement, the FCC said it's working to allow spectrum in the 5GHz
band to be leased for a variety of wireless radio services, such as cellular and
networking. It is also attempting to improve the process of transferring licenses. Most
parties with exclusive rights to assigned spectrum that they are not using or don't need
will be allowed to freely lease it to prospective users. 

The rules would apply to mobile or fixed services, including cellular, personal
communications services, specialized mobile radio, local multipoint distribution service,
fixed microwave and others. 

In a release, the agency referred to the rules as a "landmark step" in allowing the market
to take a more active role in using and developing wireless products and services. 

The FCC and political figures in Washington have been encouraging the development of
wireless technologies, looking at it as another means--along with cable and digital
subscriber line (DSL)--of delivering high-speed connectivity to the masses. Earlier this
year, Sens. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and George Allen, R-Va., proposed the Jumpstart
Broadband Act, which would allocate additional radio spectrum for unlicensed use by
wireless broadband devices. 

The senators are looking to encourage the development of wireless broadband technology and
create a mode of access that is less expensive and easier to install than existing
offerings. They believe such a technology would improve the use and distribution of
information, which could help produce more jobs, increase productivity, improve health
care delivery and make education more accessible in rural areas where broadband access is
tough to install. 

The bill proposes the use of an additional 255MHz of contiguous spectrum in the 5GHz band. 

In related news, the FCC proposed Friday to make spectrum available in the 5.470GHz to
5.725GHz band. The move would increase the amount of available spectrum for use in
unlicensed devices in the 5GHz band by 80 percent. 

http://rss.com.com/2100-1039_3-1003909.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/