Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Despite objections, town approves Nextel application

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 02:52:41 -0400

Despite objections, town approves Nextel application

By: Aaron D. Frechette May 15, 2003

Nextel is a sure thing

The Stanford Town Board last Thursday unanimously approved Nextel's application for a
special-use permit to co-locate on the proposed American Monopole cellular phone tower on
Willowbrook Road.

At last month's meeting, at the request of residents at the meeting, the board agreed to
leave the public comment period open for written comments for another month.

John and Paulette Perry, whose property abuts the property where the tower will be sited
on Willowbrook Road, were the only residents to express their objections in written form.
"They talked about the tower and the antennas being an eyesore. They said that some
science says they cause cancer," Town Supervisor Dave Tetor informed the board.

Nextel's application for co-location includes the addition of 12 small panel antennas and
a 240 square-foot equipment shelter. Town Attorney William Bogle advised the board that
the next step would be for the Town Board to approve the short-form Environmental
Assessment Form (EAF) stating that the proposal does not pose any negative environmental
impacts.

But John Perry, who was in attendance at the meeting, took issue with that. "How could
someone say it has no environmental effects?" he asked. Bogle replied that the EAF only
refers to Nextel's application. Paulette Perry argued with that. "It's an eyesore," she
said. "We've seen them with these additional antennas. They are horrendous. Would you like
to live next door to it?" Town Supervisor Dave Tetor replied, "No."

Deputy Supervsor Neal Johnsen reminded the Perrys that "the public hearing has been
closed."

The Town Board provided the Perrys with a federal court settlement permitting the
construction of the American Monopole tower.

"This has been going for a couple years now and we've been pretty patient," said John
Perry. "They don't listen," muttered Paulette Perry.

After negotiations with Seth Mandelbaum of Snyder and Synder, representing Nextel, the
board agreed that Nextel will have four months from the day American Monopole completes
its construction of the pole to start work. Nextel has 180 days from the commencement of
poll construction to bring service into effect.

Although the Perrys had already left the meeting, Tetor made a public statement about the
tower issue. "On behalf of the board, there's not much one can do. You can't please
everyone all the time. I wouldn't want a tower behind my house ... We're not against the
Perrys or anyone in that area. That's where the owner decided to place the tower."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=8010585&BRD=1706&PAG=461&dept_id=72001&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/