Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Follow-up: Nevada Highway Patrol Radio System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:01:38 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mirgon, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 11:35 PM

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

I need your help!

In the next couple of days the Nevada Legislature may be voting to allocate 
15 million dollars from the State Highway Fund to fund the move of Nevada 
Highway Patrol to the NDOT 800Mhz radio system and to shut down the NHP VHF 
system (which cost 14 million dollars and is newer than the NDOT system). 
There have been some issues with licensing of the NHP system. They have in 
fact been operating on unlicensed frequencies. Rich Sheldrew has convinced 
the Governors Office and much of the Legislature that the only option is to 
switch them to the NDOT system. He has stated that there are no frequencies 
in VHF. This is a lie. The Nevada APCO frequency coordinator has researched 
the issue and has found 54 frequencies in the Las Vegas area alone. This 
information was submitted to APCO national for confirmation. They did 
concur and sent a report to NHP. However, Rich Sheldrew has told them this 
is not correct and much of the Legislature and Governors Staff believe him.

How does this affect you? If NHP does change, your Sheriffs Offices will 
not be able to talk with NHP. Currently NHP can talk to 16 of the 17 
counties and the exception, Washoe, is funding an interconnect with their 
new system according to Rick Bareuther with the city of Sparks. This move 
would do much harm to inter operability state wide. As for the fire 
service. In my discussion with senior state staff the plan would be to move 
NDF to 800 Mhz also with the intent to get local jurisdiction to convert 
after that. When I explain the problem of talking with federal partners 
their answer is two radios. That is not an answer. This places our 
communities in danger during wildland season because it complicates our 
ability to talk and operate under ICS.

In addition, my other concern is the establishment of federal radio 
standards. As many of you have noticed in the grants there is very strong 
language to fund only APCO 25 equipment. I have been told that this will be 
a mandate. The NDOT system is not compatible and can not be upgraded to 
APCO 25. As you can see this creates a major problem.

I need your help in showing the Nevada Legislature and the Governors Office 
that there is strong support for VHF in the State of Nevada. I have 
attached the email address of the key legislatures and Governors Staff. 
Please send them an email showing your support for the NHP system and ask 
them to save the highway funds for the highways we so desperately need in 
the state. Simply highlight the email list below, cut/copy and past in the 
"To" line to send your email of support.

And yes, one more request. Pass this email on to anyone you know that would 
support this position and ask them to send and email in support of 
continuing the NHP system.

Thank You
_________________________________________
Richard A Mirgon
Director
Communications / Emergency Management / Animal Control
Douglas County, Minden, NV 89423
775-782-9990

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:51:36 -0700

What have ALL of these guys been smoking?

At 10:01 PM 5/14/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>6d3300.jpg
>6d3382.jpg
>Select Make and Model
>- Model -- Please Select a Make -
>Zip:
>6d33aa.jpg
>
>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the 
><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:24:46 -0700

> What have ALL of these guys been smoking?

While it may not seem like it, there are some level heads over the hill, 
and they are (now) aware of the high effluent levels associated with 
this story.

Don
(In the next state capital west of Carson City)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 02:25:32 -0400

Bill,

It gets better-

Don's & Jack's comments make it very clear

-------- Original Message --------
From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  NHP radio system may have to be scrapped

Chuck Niday wrote:
> I would have expected better from a state law enforcement agency, but
> I've seen it happen so many times that it's not surprizing.  What does
> the article mean when it says "and the FCC wants public agencies off the
> 150 megahertz radio band"?  I haven't seen or heard everything about this.
>

That appears to be "local politics."

There is some speculation "out here" that there may be a political
push under way to migrate the NHP system to 800, joining the rest of
the State on the DOT system.

The NV legislature seems to have a number of 'interesting' Legislative
actions pending, including a bill to create a homeland security
management committee that would have approval of all public
communications purchases, if I read the brief synopsis correctly.

Don
(Calif.)
======================================================

------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Can you believe this???? Nevada Hiway Patrol radio system may have to be
scrapped

This is a political/power struggle based problem that been festering for
years.

You should see some of Nevada's upcoming "Homeland Security" legislation
that forces everyone to buy one brand of equipment that is decided by a
political dominated review board.

==========================================

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 02:39:21 -0400

It is a shame when politics prevails over Public Safety.

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:11:40 -0700

> It is a shame when politics prevails over Public Safety.

Why, thank you for that, Marcel.

Don

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 06:59:42 -0400

You can't have "Public" Safety without politics.

When you spend PUBLIC money, you better have a political process overseeing
it, or you might as well lay out the book of blank checks for the
bureaucrats to play with.

Politics can be messy, but every alternative I know of is worse.

==========================================
Henrik "Rik" Rasmussen
Editor: Two Way Radio Directory:
The Two Way Radio Directory has links to hundreds of industry related web
pages.
The Directory Bookstore has a great selection of radio books at good
discounts.
Visit now at http://twowayradiodirectory.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->