Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nevada

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 22:17:07 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "BobC" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nevada

Jon, the repeaters are already in place because the Nv DOT has a 
microwave linked EADACS system up and running throughout the state.

I am unsure as to how well that system functions. I have heard 
reports from a few users that say the system is not useable when they 
need it and then some say its fine "most" places they go. I'm not 
privy to the actual number of dead spots.

I believe the NHP Smartzone VHF system has proven itself to be a 
good, highly accessible and reliable system. 

As far as interop goes, I would say that outside of Washoe County and 
N Las Vegas, eveyone else is already on vhf and able to easily 
communicate with the NHP using the radios already indtalled by those 
counties.

None but a very select few counties have the means and wherewithall 
to afford a new radio system for 800 mhz. Most likely, they wouldn't 
get the coverage they enjoy now in the canyons, shaded mountainsides 
etc without the state DOT deploying many new repeaters.

 "Radio Guy" 
<radioguy@p...> wrote:
> Yes, it's a big power struggle but an issue here that is being seen 
in other
> states is the claim by one manufacturer (who has no decent narrow 
band VHF
> solution) is that 800 needs the same number of sites as VHF!   You 
would
> think that a place like Nevada would be ideal for VHF due to all 
that open
> space between population centers.  Wonder just how many 800 sites 
would be
> needed, probably somewhere around 150, just for mobile coverage.
> 
> Politics.....
> 
> Jon

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/