Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Although Many Who Don't Currently Own A Mobile Phone Feel They Don't Need One,

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 13:17:27 -0400

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
foonboss
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
AT&T Wireless; Harris Interactive

Although Many Who Don't Currently Own A Mobile Phone Feel They Don't Need One, Majority Wishes They Had One For Emergencies, When Running Late, When Lost Or Sitting In Traffic, Says National Survey
Wednesday May 7, 9:02 am ET

A Fifth Of Those Surveyed Are Likely To 'Get Connected' Within The Next 12 Months

REDMOND, Wash., May 7 /PRNewswire/ -- A recent poll by Harris
Interactive® for AT&T Wireless shows that while half (49%) of non-wireless
owners in the U.S. feel they don't need a mobile phone, a majority (61%) has
wished they had one for emergencies, when they were running late, when lost or
just sitting in traffic. Many Americans who currently do not own a mobile
phone (57%) also indicated they would likely feel safer or more secure if they
did own one. Of women surveyed, particularly, 63% indicated that having a
cell phone would offer them an added sense of security.
The first-ever 'Connecting the Other Half' study, which examined the
attitudes, opinions and emotions of American consumers who do not currently
own a mobile phone or service plan, revealed that there are real reasons why
many Americans do not own a mobile phone. Many may be excluded from
'connecting' primarily because of the cost of plans (22% say wireless phones
are too expensive).
When consumers were asked what held them back from purchasing a wireless
phone, the most commonly cited reasons were costs and issues pertaining to
contracts:

* Respondents stated they did not have a wireless phone because it was
too expensive (22%), they don't like wireless phones (12%), didn't
want to commit to a long-term contract (6%), the plans were too
confusing (4%), they didn't qualify for wireless service plan they
wanted (3%), or poor reception or coverage (1%).

* Of those who said they didn't qualify for traditional service plans,
the majority (71%) said they had poor or no credit history (18%).
Others said that the deposit was too expensive (12%) or their income
was not high enough (12%), or the coverage they wanted was not
available in their area (6%). [NOTE: These results are based on a
very small respondent sample base.]

The study also found that an overwhelming 76 percent of these non-wireless
owners would want a mobile phone in emergency situations: nearly 25 percent
said they would feel more confident and 14 percent more outgoing if they owned
a mobile phone.
Consumers repeatedly referenced the assurance they felt a wireless phone
would offer them or their children, and the diminished sense of personal
vulnerability it would afford. Sixty percent (60%) believed the best reason
to buy a wireless phone for a child, teenager or young adult was to help them
stay in touch with their parents. Demonstrating the desire to stay connected,
59% said that a wireless phone would add a measure of safety when given to a
child, teenager or young adult.
Some other key findings of the survey included:

* Respondents also strongly/somewhat agree that they would worry less
(40%), feel more confident (22%), or feel more outgoing (14%) if
they had a cell phone.

* One-in-five adults who currently do not own a wireless phone (20%)
said they are likely to purchase one in the next year.
Most of those would buy a wireless phone for themselves (91%) and
when buying for someone else, more would buy for a significant other
or spouse (14%) than would buy for a child (7%).

* When buying a cell phone for a child, more people are likely to
purchase for a college-age, 18-24 year-old, child (20%) than for a
pre-teen (5%) or teen (5%).

A quarter of those without wireless phones (25%) indicated interest in
purchasing a prepaid wireless plan. Other prepaid services that interested
consumers were prepaid gas (38%), meals (35%), movie tickets (30%), dry
cleaning (18%) and a Krispy Kreme donut (15%).
The study results were released in conjunction with the launch of AT&T
Wireless' new GoPhone®, the only national wireless service to provide
unlimited night and weekend calling, domestic long distance, and roaming --
all from AT&T Wireless' national service area--without a credit check or
long-term contract.
Methodology
The survey was conducted by telephone within the United States between
March 31 and April 14, 2003 among a nationwide cross section of 503 adults
(ages 18+) who do not currently own a wireless phone. In theory, with a
probability sample of this size, one can say with 95 percent certainty that
the results have a statistical precision of plus or minus 4.4 percentage
points of what they would be if the entire adult population had been polled
with complete accuracy.
About Harris Interactive®
Harris Interactive (www.harrisinteractive.com) is a worldwide market
research and consulting firm best known for The Harris Poll®, and for
pioneering the Internet method to conduct scientifically accurate market
research. Headquartered in Rochester, New York, U.S.A., Harris Interactive
combines proprietary methodologies and technology with expertise in
predictive, custom and strategic research. The Company conducts international
research through wholly owned subsidiaries -- London-based HI Europe
(www.hieurope.com) and Tokyo-based Harris Interactive Japan -- as well as
through the Harris Interactive Global Network of local market- and
opinion-research firms, and various U.S. offices. EOE M/F/D/V
About AT&T Wireless
AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE - News) is the second-largest wireless carrier, based on
revenues, in the United States. With 21.1 million subscribers as of March 31,
2003, and revenues of nearly $16.0 billion over the past 12 months, AT&T
Wireless delivers advanced high-quality mobile wireless communications
services, voice and data, to businesses and consumers, in the U.S. and
internationally. For more information, please visit us at
http://www.attwireless.com/.

Source:
AT&T Wireless; Harris Interactive
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Refinance. Close in as little as 30 days

·

Feel and Eat Great on Atkins. Click here for your FREE Profile!

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

Get 30 commission-free trades at Ameritrade!

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

Apply for a Bank of America home equity line of credit

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Spring?

·

How do you say, "$75 bonus"? Try "HSBC Checking."

Related
Quote

AWE

6.84

-0.26

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Reliance's mobile phones ring, but will anybody answer? - Reuters (1:31 am)

·

AT&T Wireless Continues Expanding GSM/GPRS Coverage Launches Next Generation Services in Former TeleCorp PCS Markets - PR Newswire (Tue May 6)

·

AT&T Wireless Expands Next Generation Service to Kentucky and Southern Indiana - PR Newswire (Tue May 6)

·

UPDATE - TDS posts first-quarter loss; revenue up 21 pct - Reuters (Mon May 5)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Tech Stocks Dip; Blue Chips Boosted - Reuters (12:57 pm)

·

GE Reiterates 2003 Earnings Forecast - Reuters (12:56 pm)

·

Deflation Boogeyman Haunts Fed - Reuters (1:01 pm)

·

Lawmaker Says Halliburton's Role Expanded in Iraq - Reuters (12:07 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 PR
Newswire.
All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution
of
PRNewswire content is expressly prohibited without
the prior written
consent of PRNewswire. PRNewswire shall not be liable
for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in
reliance thereon.