Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fake Nextel Representatives Try To Scam Customers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:17:51 -0400

Fake Nextel Representatives Try To Scam Customers

Thursday, May 22, 2003

Beware of scam artists,
police warn as 3 cons arise

Flat tires, sausage sales and
fake phone calls at core of rip-offs

Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu police are warning the public about several scams reported over
the
past few weeks.

One scam took place near Aikahi in Windward Oahu and involved a female
suspect selling Portuguese sausages for an alleged fund-raiser. Police
said that
during one incident the suspect fled in a vehicle after giving an
elderly female
victim only two of the four sausages she had sold her.

Another scam involves a 40-year-old male suspect approaching people in
the
downtown area and asking to borrow $11.90 to fix a flat tire. The
suspect tells
the victim that he belongs to Hope Chapel Kaneohe and gives the name of
Kerry
Nakano, police said. Hope Chapel staff stated that other con artists
have
pretended to be members of their church and that they are not aware of
any
member by that name or description.

Police said a third scam was reported yesterday after a Nextel cellular
phone
user said a person called him and identified himself as being a Nextel
representative. The caller then asked the victim to confirm some
personal
information about himself. The victim refused. Police said there have
been several
cases reported involving false Nextel representatives.

Police advise anyone approached by someone claiming to represent a
fund-raising activity to ask for printed material about the project or
organization.

Anyone who feels they might have been victimized by a scam is asked to
call
CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *CRIME on a cellular phone.

Honolulu Police Department

http://starbulletin.com/2003/05/22/news/story13.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/