Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Morggie- Brings the "BULL" to the Longhorn State- With the "Nextel Circus Rodeo" Smoke & Mirrors.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 16:58:48 -0400

Morggie- Brings the "BULL" to the Longhorn State- With the "Nextel Circus Rodeo" Smoke &
Mirrors.
Nextel: Public Safety Leaders Address Critical Homeland Security Communications Needs

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 1, 2003--

- Former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director and Former NYC Commissioner of
Emergency Management Stress Need for Interoperable Communications for First Responders -

- Texas Lieutenant Governor, Governor's Homeland Security Coordinator and Public Safety
Roundtable Also Address Interoperability -

Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL) today hosted a conference devoted to
interoperable communications at the Four Seasons Hotel in Austin, Texas.

This event highlighted the pressing advanced day-to-day and emergency communications needs
facing police, fire, emergency management and other public safety and health officials.
The event attracted approximately 150 homeland security, public safety and public health
officials from across the State of Texas.

The conference showcased interoperability - the idea that all public safety officials must
have the ability to connect with one another through reliable and secure communications
regardless of jurisdiction or department. Speakers included David Dewhurst, Texas
Lieutenant Governor; Jay Kimbrough, Texas Deputy Attorney General for Criminal Justice and
Governor's Homeland Security Coordinator; James Lee Witt, former Federal Emergency
Management Agency Director; Richard Sheirer, former New York City Emergency Management
Commissioner; and Morgan O'Brien, Nextel Vice Chairman.

Immediately following the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy over Texas in February, Nextel
dispatched its Emergency Response Team (ERT) to provide emergency communications
capabilities for the recovery operations. Assistance was requested by the Texas Division
of Emergency Management (DEM), National Disaster Medical System (NDMS), FEMA, and NASA,
all which needed expanded interoperable communications. Nextel provided handsets, service
and critical infrastructure support: cell sites on wheels (COWs), which extended wireless
communications coverage into remote recovery areas.

James Lee Witt, president of James Lee Witt Associates and former director of the Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), stressed that interoperable communications is
essential for today's emergency management professionals. "From the communications failure
during the Oklahoma City bombing to the ongoing need to communicate every day, our
nation's first responders need to be able to communicate during day-to-day operations and
in emergency situations. These tools are fundamental to keeping the American people safe."

Richard Sheirer, who served as New York City Commissioner of Emergency Management during
September 11th and after and who is now Senior Vice President of Giuliani Partners, LLC,
stated, "More than ever, major crisis-response efforts are multi-jurisdictional and
multi-functional. From the Space Shuttle Columbia recovery effort to the D.C.-area sniper
investigation, we are seeing a new level of collaboration and a greater need for a
coordinated response."

Sheirer noted, "On September 11th, we understood, even more, the importance of
interoperable communications. It was a chaotic scene at Ground Zero. Nextel's Direct
Connect provided us with an interoperable communications tool that enhanced our operations
on September 11th and during the days, weeks and months that followed."

Nextel Communications is hosting a series of interoperability conferences around the
country that are designed to educate consumers, government and public safety officials
about the capabilities of and demand for interoperability.
While addressing guests during the conference, Nextel Vice Chairman Morgan O'Brien said,
"It is a true honor to have those who have been on the front lines with us here to
reinforce and highlight our commitment to reliable, secure and interoperable
communications tools. We believe that the public sector deserves the best available
communications technology. We continue to enhance Nextel's unique technology to serve your
needs and give you world-class capabilities."

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading provider
of fully-integrated wireless voice and data communications services including Direct
Connect(R)- the long-range digital walkie-talkie feature; all-digital cellular service;
Nextel Online(R) wireless data solutions; and two-way messaging. Nextel and Nextel
Partners, Inc. have built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network covering 197
of the top 200 U.S. markets. Nextel and Nextel Partners' wireless voice and packet data
communications services are available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240 million
people live or work.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.050103/231215445&directory=/altavista&header_file=header.htm&footer_file=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/