Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: OSHA Puts ALL Licensees And Site Owners On Notice

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:03:54 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: Ron Haraseth <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: OSHA Puts ALL Licensees And Site Owners On Notice

-----Original Message-----
From: On Behalf Of WINS
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 12:34 AM
To: List Member
Subject: OSHA Puts ALL Licensees And Site Owners On Notice

May 2003 Newsletterwww.winsnet.com

 FCC STRENGTHENS RULES CONCERNING TRUTHFUL WRITTEN STATEMENTS SUBMITTED
TO
THE COMMISSION

Washington, D.C. - Today, the FCC announced that it has revised its
rules to
strengthen the requirements for the submission of truthful statements to
the
Commission. 

As amended, section 1.17 of the Commission's Rules prohibits written and
oral statements of fact that are intentionally incorrect or misleading
and
written statements of fact that are made without a reasonable basis for
believing that the statement is correct and not misleading. In requiring
that submitters of written statements in fact-based adjudications and
investigations have a reasonable basis to believe that what they say is
correct and not misleading, the Commission is imposing on the submitters
a
duty of due diligence, including the duty to take appropriate
affirmative
steps to determine the truthfulness of what is being submitted. 

The new rule is a clearer, more comprehensive, and more focused
articulation
of the standards for truthful statements than the old rule. The
Commission
also said that the new rule will enhance the effectiveness of its
enforcement efforts. 

Action by the Commission March 4, 2003, by Report and Order (FCC 03-45).
Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein. 

"OSHA Puts ALL Licensees And Site Owners On Notice" 

WASHINGTON-John Henshaw, head of the Occupational Safety and Health
Administration, has urged major U.S. mobile phone operators and tower
owners
to hire only those construction firms that have proven safety records
and
that follow federal guidelines. 

In an April 18 letter obtained by RCR Wireless News, Henshaw said
industry
cooperation is needed to address "a serious problem in the
communications
tower industry" that has claimed more than 150 lives over the past
decade. 

The letter, while not a federal directive, is the most targeted
statement to
date by a high-ranking OSHA official on tower safety and reflects a
strategy
shift insofar as expanding the agency's outreach effort. 

"I ask that you seriously consider contracting only with tower erection
companies that have excellent safety and health records and that you
require
in your contracts the following: (1) the erector comply with all OSHA
requirements, and (2) all contracts with subcontractors contain the same
provision," Henshaw stated. "In addition, these contracts should contain
strong language regarding the importance of good safety and health
programs,
employee training and education, and fall prevention and fall arrest
systems." 

OSHA Administrator John Henshaw asked communication tower owners and
providers to work with OSHA in reducing the high fatality rate of
workers in
the industry. Henshaw sent a personal letter last month to more than 50
owners and large tower contractors asking their support in recognizing
contractors with excellent safety and health records and also ensuring
that
contractors follow OSHA requirements.
http://www.osha.gov/as/opa/quicktakes/qt05152003.html#TOWERS

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/