Subject: [NEXTEL-1] French trash Brits on wi-fi coverage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:37:27 -0400

French trash Brits on wi-fi coverage

Fee free wee-fee

By Mike Magee: Monday 19 May 2003, 10:46

ON OUR WAY TO Monaco last Thursday we flew out from Gatwick and
we were pleasantly surprised to see a sign from BAA telling us
customers that the airport was wi-fi ready.

Well, it's certainly true that our non-Centrino notebook detected an
Openzone connection. But the signal was so low that connecting to it
was impossible, however we roamed.

A colleague of ours, however, flew out from Terminal One, at Heathrow,
and he tells us that finding a wi-fi hotspot there was totally impossible,
despite claims.

Imagine his and my surprise then at finding not just one wi-fi hot spot in
the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco, but three. All free...

And when we flew back from Nice airport, how easy-peasy it was to find
not just a wi-fi hotspot, but a free one.

So it's with some disgruntlement that today we've had a press release
from BT Openzone saying its "new drive" in the UK could encompass
thousands of local broadband.

Think BT had better get a move on before it finds its patch disappears
completely.

This week a big pub chain in the UK threatens to make it easy to smurf
as you booze. Just don't spill your beer on your notebook, OK?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9550

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/