Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Farewell to handhelds GPS, Java, and push-to-talk give smart phones a clear edge over PDAs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 17:48:16 -0400

Reality Check

Farewell to handhelds GPS, Java, and push-to-talk give smart phones a clear
edge over PDAs

By Ephraim Schwartz May 23, 2003

 General Motors announced last week that it will partner with wireless carrier
Nextel to use Nextel’s Motorola cell phones with data capabilities to market a
field-force management application to its commercial truck fleet customers.
The announcement casts a shadow over the future of handheld devices in the
business marketplace.

 By selecting a cellular phone, GM in essence said no to Palm, HP, and
Microsoft.
IT departments should consider the reasoning behind GM’s decision before
recommending a handheld solution of their own.
GM representatives told me they believe the cell phone is nonthreatening, a
piece of hardware most people are comfortable using. GM’s first target market
of field-force operations has as its core a noncomputer-savvy workforce, and
the theory goes that these workers need a device that is easy to use. Believe
it or not, many white-collar workers also struggle with handheld operating
systems and would be grateful to be able to have a slimmed-down application
that responds to just a few presses of a keypad.

Nextel is certainly capturing a large piece of the so-called blue-collar
market with its built-in Direct Connect push-to-talk technology that
transforms a phone into a walkie-talkie on steroids.

But in addition to push-to-talk, the Nextel Motorola phones have a JVM (Java
Virtual Machine) that runs J2ME (Java 2 Platform Micro Edition) applications,
which can be downloaded and upgraded over the wireless network. In many
respects, leveraging Java on the client with J2EE app servers on the back end
makes handsets equal in capability to handhelds. In fact, handsets are already
encroaching on traditional handheld markets. For example, an application
exists for remote IT systems management called IC2 from Inciscent. Engineers
use PermitWorks to look up permit contracts in construction.

Ernie Cormeir, vice president of business solutions at Nextel in Reston, Va.,
tells me that there are Java clients for PeopleSoft and that Siebel CRM apps
run over Nextel’s iDEN wireless network.

The combination of GPS, Java, push-to-talk, and ease of use makes it hard not
to consider a handset over a handheld.
Minneapolis-based GearWorks, the field-force application software developer
selected by GM for its commercial fleet division offering also makes the same
field-force application, called etrace, for handhelds. However, Keith Lauver,
GearWorks CEO, obviously believes that Java-based business applications on
cell phones are the better choice.

“Until [handheld] device manufacturers present the right combination of
familiarity, features, and cost, we’ll continue to see a long and snowy winter
for handhelds,” Lauver said.

The auto industry has a lot of clout. GM is not only the biggest of the auto
makers; it is also not shy about preaching what it practices. GM’s CTO Tony
Scott is a regular attendee and speaker at major IT conferences. As IT
managers get a better sense of what they want to do with wireless and remote
access, they will be listening.
Certainly implementations of any application on any device will cause hassles
for IT. But I suggest that the case for handsets over handhelds is strong, and
there is no doubt why: A handheld costs more going in, adds another layer of
management, and requires additional support.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/05/23/21OPreality_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/