Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New RCR Wireless Hall of Fame members

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:47:26 -0400

Gurian, Hatfield, Wheeler 
join wireless elite in Hall of Fame

May 12, 2003 
10:55 AM EST

DENVER

RCR Wireless News inducted three prominent wireless industry patriarchs into its fourth
annual Wireless Hall of Fame, created to honor those who have made significant
contributions to the past, present and future of the wireless telecommunications industry. 

This year, a panel of 15 judges, chosen from the industry at large, elected the following
innovators, listed in alphabetical order: 

Mal Gurian, former president of Oki Telecom's cellular telephone division, the first
company to receive Federal Communications Commission-type certification for a cellular
telephone. Gurian now heads up Mal Gurian Associates, which offers advisory services to
wireless industry players. 

Read:Gurian helped to shape cellular's formative years 

Dale Hatfield, former chief of the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology. Hatfield
has also served the industry as a policy-maker, a consultant and an academic and is the
author of the Hatfield Report, a report detailing issues pertaining to the deployment of
wireless enhanced 911 services, prepared on behalf of the FCC. 

Read: Hatfield: Fascinated with meshing tech and policy 

Tom Wheeler, credited with building the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association
into the $42 million wireless trade organization it is today. Wheeler will leave CTIA
after nearly 12 years of service later this year. 

Read:'Losing-not-an-option' Tom still fights for one last win 

"Once again, we have three wonderful inductees for the Wireless Hall of Fame," said John
Sudmeier, publisher of RCR Wireless News. "Each of these individuals has made enormous
contributions in making the wireless industry what it is today." 

Gurian, Hatfield and Wheeler join 15 other members of the RCR Wireless News Wireless Hall
of Fame: 

Edwin H. Armstrong, a pioneer in frequency modulation. 

Jai Bhagat, chairman and CEO of Air2Lan, who along with fellow inductee John Palmer, built
the nationwide paging industry with companies Mobile Communications Corp. of America and
Mtel. 

Thomas Carter, who invented the Carterfone, a coupler for radio communications that
attached to AT&T's network. This led to a major ruling that other companies could connect
to the AT&T network. 

Martin Cooper, chairman and CEO of ArrayComm Inc. During his tenure at Motorola Inc.,
Cooper invented the portable radio system that was incorporated into cellular. 

James Dwyer, most well-known for challenging the FCC in the 1970s to allow competition in
the wireless communications industry rather than giving all of the spectrum to incumbent
monopolies. 

Robert Galvin, chairman and/or president of Motorola from 1956-1990. 

Dr. Irwin Jacobs, founder, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm Inc. 

Fred M. Link, founder of Link Radio Corp., Radio Club of America president, 1968-1992, and
president emeritus until his death in 1998. 

Craig McCaw, founder of McCaw Cellular Communications Inc. McCaw also is chairman of
several wireless-related companies. 

William McGowen, founder of MCI Communications Corp. and chairman of the company until his
death in 1992. McGowen is credited with breaking up AT&T Corp. 

Morgan O'Brien, who founded what is now called Nextel Communications Inc., a viable
competitor to cellular using two-way radio frequencies. 

John Palmer, U.S. ambassador to Portugal, who was instrumental in building the nationwide
paging industry with companies MCCA and Mtel Corp. 

John Stupka, CEO of Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems, who also chaired the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association's technical committee during a critical time
when carriers and manufacturers began to implement standards. 

Andrew J. Viterbi, vice chairman and former chief technical officer of Qualcomm. 

Richard Wiley, the only person to serve as general counsel to the Federal Communications
Commission, an FCC commissioner and then FCC chairman under three presidents. He also has
built one of the most formidable communications law practices in Washington, D.C. 

This year's judges included: Michael Altschul of CTIA; Mark Crosby of Access Spectrum
L.L.C.; Frederick Day of the law partnership of Day & Cukier; John DeFeo of Incepta
Ventures L.L.C.; Joe Gallelli of The Gallelli Group Inc.; Thomas Gutierrez of Lukas, Nace,
Gutierrez & Sachs; Leonard Kolsky of Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs; Liz Maxfield of
Aeris.net; Don Nelson, formerly of U.S. Cellular; Herschel Shosteck of The Shosteck Group;
Richard Siber of Accenture; Laura Smith of ITA; Michael Deuel Sullivan of Wilkinson Barker
Knauer L.L.P.; John Sudmeier of RCR Wireless News; and Bob White of Pennington Consulting
Group.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13424

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/