Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Experimental Mobile Device Helps Blind "See" Objects

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 17:55:57 -0400

Experimental Mobile Device Helps Blind "See" Objects

Scientists at Gunma National College of Technology in Japan have developed a
device that when used with a mobile phone allows the visually impaired to
recognize objects. The device connects a computer with six vibration motors
that are attached to the user's forehead and back. Information about the user's
surrounding area obtained from the user's mobile phone equipped with a built-in
camera is conveyed to a remote viewer, that enters information about the area
into a computer. The information is then conveyed to the user through the
motors, which translate the data into Braille. In experiments with the device,
users could recognize objects placed in front of them.

====================================================

Researchers develop mobile 'eyes' for blind

Yomiuri Shimbun

Mobile phones will become the eyes of visually impaired people through a
device developed by scientists at Gunma National College of Technology,
The Yomiuri Shimbun has learned.

A research team led by Nobuyuki Sasaki has developed a device that
connects a computer with six vibration motors the size of a person's little
finger that are attached to the user's forehead and back. Information about
the user's surrounding area obtained from the user's mobile phone equipped
with a built-in camera is conveyed to a remote viewer, who enters
information about the area into a computer. The information is then
conveyed to the user through the motors, which translate the data into
braille.

An experiment involving five sight- and hearing-impaired people was
conducted Tuesday in Minato Ward, Tokyo. Using the device, the subjects
of the experiment were able to recognize objects such as a can of tea that
were placed in front of them.

However, according to the researchers, the device used for the experiment
needs to be greatly improved as it uses a wire to connect a computer to the
motors.

Sadao Hasegawa, a councillor of the Japan Braille Library, said he had high
expectations for the new device.

"Visually impaired people usually feel uneasy when they go to places where
they've never been to. But (the equipment) will be useful as a supportive
device," he said.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20030430wo71.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/