Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DEVON POLICE RADIO FEARS TO BE AIRED AT CONFERENCE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:55:30 -0400

DEVON POLICE RADIO FEARS TO BE  AIRED AT CONFERENCE

BY ANDREW MOSLEY
HEALTH CORRESPONDENT

12:00 - 13 May 2003
Devon police officers' fears over a new emergency communications system
are to be highlighted at a national conference today. Steve Pearce,
chairman of the Devon and Cornwall branch of the Police Federation, which
represents hundreds of rank and file officers, says more research is needed
before the new Tetra system is introduced.

The police constable, who is in Blackpool for the federation's annual
three-day conference starting today, said: "Our roll-out of masts has been
delayed until the spring of 2005 because of the anti-mast campaign, so we
do have a comfort zone.

"My concern, and that of the federation, is for the health of officers across
Devon and Cornwall and that is the stance we are taking."

The Police Federation says some officers elsewhere in the country have
reported headaches and nausea after using radios linked to the Tetra
system. It believes its members are being used as guinea pigs.

"We are calling for further research and closer monitoring of officers using
the system," said Mr Pearce.

"Devon and Cornwall Police Federation has been at the forefront of raising
concerns over health risks in Tetra."

Plans to introduce the Tetra radio masts in Devon were last year put on ice
until 2005 because of the strength of public opinion.

Airwave, the company responsible for installing the new mobile phone
transmitters, confirmed the delay was due to the number of petitions against
its planning applications, mainly on health grounds.

Campaigners welcome the delay because it will enable them to gather more
objections.

Devon and Cornwall police would have been one of the first forces to use the
new Tetra system, but are now likely to be among the last.

The Echo's Shock Waves campaign has highlighted many of the public
protests against the Tetra masts, including:

Plans for a mast in Casely Woods, Lustleigh, which the Dartmoor National
Park Authority refused on the grounds of visual impact;

An application for a Tetra mast at Moretonhampstead Fire Station, which
was withdrawn by communications firm mmO2 (UK) Ltd, after the fire
service said it did not want the masts on its land - Devon Fire Authority later
banned masts and aerials from its stations;

Firm mm02 being asked to submit new plans for an alternative site for a
45ft-high mast alongside the new A30 at Gittisham, near Honiton;

Residents in Pennsylvania currently fighting an application to install
additional equipment on a police mast.
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=101955&command=displayContent&sourceNode=99871&contentPK=5551658

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/