Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More Re: Nevada Highway Patrol Radio System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:12:44 -0400

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Chad & Michelle Odegaard 
To: CVRC Reflector ; Nevada Ham Reflector ; Dick Creley KJ7UK 
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 10:06
Subject: [NvHam] Re: [CVRC] Nevada Highway Patrol Radio System

I am a Communications Supervisor for the Sheriff's Office in the Lovelock
area and we have a 800 Mhz DOT radio in our dispatch center. I can tell you
that this radio rarely ever works. Most of the time I cannot even get a good
enough signal to even key up the radio.

I can also tell you from my 6 years of experience as a dispatcher, I have
worked a lot of pursuits and having the ability to communicate with NHP has
helped tremendously during pursuits. During the pursuit of the mail box
bomber I was the lead dispatcher on this call and was able to communicate
with both our officers and NHP and even the FBI. Having the ability to
communicate with NHP from a sheriff's office standpoint I believe is very
crucial. I can also tell you that most rural agencies will not have the
money to build the interconnects like Washoe County is doing to communicate
with agencies on other bands.

Chad Odegaard, KD7JRL
Communications Supervisor
Pershing County Sheriff's Office

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/