Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Southern LINC is designating May as 'Wireless Safety Month'-Register to win a handset & car kit

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 17:49:55 -0400

Southern LINC is designating May as 'Wireless Safety Month' and will be
marking the occasion by sending safety tips for wireless users to its
customers and offering discounted headsets to encourage safety while
on the road.
=================================================================================
May is Wireless Safety Month at Southern LINC and we're giving away
an i58sr handset complete with car kit and installation. Register to win!

Register to win a handset & car kit

There are many potential distractions while driving, including maps, the radio or talking
on your wireless handset. Most safety recommendations are just good common sense. Your
first responsibility is to pay attention to the road, so next time you are driving please
follow these safety tips:

* Use a hands-free device that allows you to use your handset without holding it to your
ear. This frees up both hands for use
   on the steering wheel.

* Keep your calls short and informational; avoid intense or emotional conversations that
might distract you from your driving.

* Try to make all your calls before you head out on the road, but if you must dial out, do
it during a gas station or restaurant
   break or while stopped at a red light.

* Keep your handset in easy reach in the car, out of your purse or glove compartment.

* If your phone rings and youare unable to safely take the call, let it go to voice mail.

* If you must take a call, tell the caller that you are driving. Don't be afraid to end
the call if the weather gets bad or the traffic
   gets heavy.

* Pull over to a safe spot before looking up a phone number, taking notes, checking e-mail
or text messages.
* Use your handset to report serious emergencies on the road as well as reckless,
aggressive or drunken drivers. Dialing 9-1-1 is free from most wireless phones.

More than 140 million people in the United States are wireless phone customers, and law
enforcement agencies have long endorsed carrying a cell phone in the car for emergencies.
In fact, more than 120,000 emergency calls are made from wireless phones each day. There
is no doubt that wireless communications has helped increase peace of mind while
traveling. Next time you are on the road, make sure that driving safely is your top
priority!

http://www.southernlinc.com/safetymonth.asp