Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: NHP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 01:47:01 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NHP

Cathy Sutter wrote:
> Let me ask a dumb question....Shouldn't Wayne Peterson ( Motorola acct. 
> rep ) who sold NHP the system....at least waited for a granted license 
> before "ordering and installing"  the system ? 

The FCC give 8 months from the time of license grant to get the system 
installed and on the air, unless the applicant requests a waiver through 
the slow growth process. My understanding is that it took more than two 
years to get the system up and running, and that much of it was funded 
with Federal grant moneys. Federal grants have specified performance 
periods within which the systems must be procured, installed, and the 
invoices paid.

While your concept might work for a small department (one or two 
channels, 70 mobiles / handhelds, etc.), I can tell you from experience 
that fielding a system the size of the NHP network (including new / 
upgraded microwave shots, site expansion, etc.) does not happen 
overnight, and even Motorola must schedule the work to meet the demands 
of the bean counters. Defining the concept, placing the order, and then 
going after the licensing happens all of the time.  In NHP's case, it 
appears only the preliminary portion (STAs) of the last step took place.

Don
California

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/