Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC: May 12 Exhibit To Highlight Innovative Wireless Technologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:14:00 -0400

Please take a look at the three examples of "innovative  new 
technologies" in wireless, below.  Is there even one of these that
couldn't have been engineered five years ago?  Ten?  Fifteen??  Did I say
"engineered"?  I could just as well have said "assembled", as in
slapped-together.  I mean, this is hardly rocket science or anything of
that sort of sophistication.

Take the first example, below.  The only reason such an item hadn't been
produced many years ago is that there is not a substantial market for
such a gizmo.  In some cases of "all-in-one" products, pointless
regulations have prohibited some combinations of items.  In these cases,
remove some regulatory barriers that never should have been, and call
that innovation?  What have the Commissioners been smoking??

The fact that the Commission would not only promote such "innovative"
technology, but go ga-ga over it, simply manifests their collective
fundamental lack of knowledge in both the engineering and regulatory
history involved.  Pretty scary.

Alan Dixon
"The Washington Iconoclast"
Popular Communications

[Please copy replies to: [email-masked] <wpuc720[a]juno.com>]

--------------------------
From: "FCC Daily Digest"
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003
Daily Digest
Vol. 22 No. 90

 		NEWS RELEASES
----------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED: MAY 12 EXHIBIT TO HIGHLIGHT INNOVATIVE WIRELESS TECHNOLOGIES. 
[Excerpt:]
	<snip> 
FOR  IMMEDIATE  RELEASE  NEWS  MEDIA  CONTACTS  May  9,  2003  Robin 
Pence  (202)  418-  0505 
MAY  12  EXHIBIT  TO  HIGHLIGHT  INNOVATIVE  WIRELESS  TECHNOLOGIES 
Washington,  DC  -  Innovative  new  technologies  made  possible  by 
recent  advances  in  radio  communications  and  spectrum  policy 
initiatives  will  be  demonstrated  at  a  Wireless  Innovations
Technology  Showcase  in  Washington,  DC  on  May  12,  2003. 

 Some  examples  include:

~  Software  radio  technology  allows  a  single  hand-  held  device 
to  function  like  a  Swiss  Army  knife,  providing  an  all-in-one
wireless   tool  that  can  serve  as  a  cell  phone,  a traditional  FM
 radio,  or  even  as  a  public  safety  radio. 

~  Commercial  mobile  broadband  networking  technology  and  equipment 
enables  service  providers  to  offer  businesses  and  consumers  a 
personal,  fully  mobile  broadband  connection  that  offers  Wi-  Fi 
speeds  over  a  range  that  extends  for  miles  rather  then  yards. 
The end  result  is  the  ability  for  carriers  to  economically 
deploy  wide-  range  mobile  broadband  networks  that  not  only  cover
 every  coffee  shop  in  the  city,  but  the  entire  city. 

~  An  antenna  on  top  of  a  barn  or  silo  provides  wireless 
broadband  Internet  access  in  rural  areas  using  a  combination  of 
Wi-Fi  and  fixed  wireless  broadband  equipment. 

 The  Wireless  Innovations  exhibit  is  part  of  a  two-  day 
conference  May  12-  13,  entitled  "Wireless  Innovations:  New 
Technologies  and  Evolving  Policies,"  sponsored  by  the  U.S. 
Department  of  Commerce's  National  Telecommunications  and 
Information  Administration  (NTIA),  in  cooperation  with  the  Federal
 Communications  Commission  (FCC)  and  the  U.S.  Department  of 
State's  International  Communications  and  Information  Policy  (CIP) 
group.  The  technology  exhibit  will  run  from  10  a.m.  to  3  p.m. 
on  Monday,  May  12.  A  policy  panel  discussion  will  take  place 
from  9  a.m.  to  5  p.m.  on  Tuesday,  May  13.  NTIA  will  provide 
further  information  about  panel  topics  and  participants. 

 The  two-day  event  will  be  held  at  the  U.  S.  Department  of 
Commerce  Lobby  and  Auditorium  at  1401  Constitution  Avenue,  N.  W.
 (entrance  on  14th  Street). 

	<snip>

News Release. News Media Contact: Robin Pence at  (202)418-0505  OPP
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234302A1.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234302A1.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234302A1.txt> 

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/