Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEW YORK STATE 911 BOARD-NOTICE OF PROPOSED STANDARDS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:49:33 -0400

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/e911/e911.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

NEW YORK STATE 911 BOARD

INFORMATION NOTICE

NOTICE OF PROPOSED STANDARDS

The New York State 911 Board is established pursuant to County Law
§326. The Board is charged with assisting local governments, service
suppliers, wireless telephone service suppliers and appropriate state agencies
by facilitating the most efficient and effective routing of wireless 911 emergency
calls; developing minimum standards for public safety answering points; promoting
the exchange of information, including emerging technologies; and encouraging
the use of best practice standards among the public safety answering point
community. The Board is exempt from the requirements of the New York State
Administrative Procedure Act, but is required to publish its proposed and
final standards pursuant to the provisions of County Law §327. This Notice
is published pursuant to those provisions.

Proposed Minimum Standards Regarding Direct Dispatch of all Emergency
Services and Jurisdictional Protocols. Summary. At its meeting of March
10, 2003, the Board proposed these Minimum Standards, which establish rules
of practice for the dispatch of police and emergency units in response to
a wireless 911 call, and which establish a basic framework for the drafting
of protocols (agreements) by law enforcement agencies. Protocols set forth
procedures to ensure the best and most efficient coordination of manpower
and equipment to address emergencies identified through wireless 911 calls.
A Model Jurisdictional Protocol appears as Appendix A to the proposed Standards.
The public is invited to comment on these proposed Minimum Standards. The
last day for receipt of public comments will be May 12, 2003.

Further Information, Contacts: Written comments may be submitted
to Harry J. Willis, Esq., at the New York State Department of State, Office
of Counsel, 41 State Street, Suite 830, Albany NY 12231, fax: 518-473-9211,
phone: 518-474-6740.

The proposed Standards are as follows:

21 NYCRR Chapter LX

New York State 911 Board

Part 5200

Minimum Standards Regarding Direct Dispatch of All Emergency
Services

(Statutory Authority: County Law §328)

§5200.1. Purpose. Many emergencies require immediate response from an emergency
service provider, whether police, fire, or emergency medical service. This need
requires that 911 dispatch facilities must be able to dispatch any and all of
such providers to ensure the highest level of service and protection to the community.

§5200.2. “Direct dispatch” means that the public safety answering
point (PSAP) can, by encoding or toning, alert the responding agency without
having to relay or reroute calls unless the call originates outside the jurisdiction.
All PSAPs shall have the capability of direct dispatch as so defined.

§5200.3. A PSAP shall transfer all wireless 911 calls originating outside
its jurisdiction to the appropriate agencies pursuant to existing local practice.

Part 5250

Minimum Standards Regarding Jurisdictional Protocols

(Statutory Authority: County Law §328)

§5250.1. Purpose. All law enforcement agencies have a common goal of providing
the highest level of police protection to the communities they serve. Fulfilling
that goal requires the coordination and cooperation of all law enforcement agencies
at the local, county and state levels. In the interest of providing the highest
levels of law enforcement services and protection to the public, the Legislature
has therefore required the 911 Board to adopt minimum standards for jurisdictional
protocols.

§5250.2. A jurisdictional protocol is a written agreement entered into
by two or more law enforcement agencies setting forth procedures to ensure the
organized, coordinated, and prompt mobilization of personnel, equipment, services,
or facilities in order to achieve the fastest response to a 911 emergency.

§5250.3. Wireless 911 calls shall be routed pursuant to County Law §330.
The jurisdictional protocols utilized by the law enforcement agencies responding
to such calls shall, at a minimum, include or provide:

(a) a list of all participating law enforcement agencies;

(b) a method of providing for the dispatch of the closest police unit, which
may be via any of the following:

(1) AVL (CAD mapping);

(2) indirect polling (asking for any unit in the area);

(3) direct polling (determining the location of a unit by its number);

(c) a method of transferring calls to the proper agency or jurisdiction after
dispatching;

(d) that the methods provided for pursuant to subparagraphs b and c above
shall be used in the case of all 911 calls dispatched for service;

(e) that in all other respects, the Direct Dispatch Protocol developed by
the New York State 911 Board shall apply;

(f) that dispatch procedures shall be reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure
that the most efficient procedures are being used;

(g) that all investigative duties shall be conducted by the law enforcement
agency having ordinary investigative jurisdiction in any area, regardless of
initial response to an emergency, provided, that no law enforcement agency shall
be prohibited from requesting assistance from any other agency as may be provided
under current law or regulation; and

(h) a procedure for resolving all disputes among the parties relating to the
operation of the protocol, which may include referral of such disputes to a
body designated by agreement among the parties.

§5250.4. The 911 Board has approved as a model the jurisdictional protocol
titled “Memorandum of Understanding (Jurisdictional Protocol for Wireless
911 Call Services)”, which is attached hereto as Appendix A.

NEW YORK STATE 911 BOARD

MINIMUM STANDARDS REGARDING JURISDICTIONAL PROTOCOLS

APPENDIX A

MEMORANDUM of UNDERSTANDING

(JURISDICTIONAL PROTOCOL for WIRELESS 911 CALL SERVICES)

COUNTY of____________________COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

DISPATCH PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTS FOR POLICE SERVICES

NEAREST AVAILABLE UNIT CONCEPT

WHEREAS, the Legislative Body of the County of__________________(the “County”)
has established a County Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP); and

WHEREAS, the primary goal of the County PSAP Communications Center
is to provide call taking services for, and dispatch services to, all emergency
service providers in the County; and

WHEREAS, all emergency services are publicly supported, maintained, and operated
by public funding and through the election and appointment of officers and employees;
and

WHEREAS, the residents of the County deserve and expect the availability of
all public safety resources; and that such resources shall be provided in the
most expeditious manner; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, that the operation of the “nearest available unit concept”
as related to police dispatch procedures shall be as described below:

Section 1. PSAP Communications Center Operations. PSAP Operation Practices
Board.*

A. The PSAP Communications Center shall be under the direct control and supervision
of the E-911 Supervisor, reporting to the __________________________[Sheriff,
County Executive, or other supervisory official].

B. The County PSAP Operation Practices Board shall ensure compliance with
all sections of this agreement, thereby fostering mutual cooperation and effective
use of all police resources. The Operation Practices Board shall be appointed
by the County Legislative Body and shall consist of at least five (5) members,
one of whom shall be a member of the County Legislative Body, one of whom shall
represent the State Police, one of whom shall represent the County Sheriff,
one of whom shall represent a local police agency, and one of whom shall represent
a fire or emergency services agency. The procedures outlined in this document
may be reviewed at the request of any one principal whose agency is so represented
through this agreement but may only be altered by action of the Operation Practices
Board. All changes, additions, or deletions shall be made a part of and attached
to this document and shall bear the signature of each principal or designee.

C. The County Operation Practices Board shall meet as necessary for the purpose
of reviewing dispatch protocols, thereby ensuring the adoption of the most professional
and efficient procedures. The review should include call taking, information
routing during the dispatch process, command and control, and nearest available
car protocols. Agencies patrolling in areas of the county secured by multiple
police departments hereby agree to work continuously to improve coordinated
coverage of posts or sectors.

D. The agencies represented in this agreement recognize that the complexities
involved in multi-agency emergency dispatching will require continuous review
and improvement. On occasion, problems or concerns between agencies or disciplines
will occur. First and second line supervisors assigned to those agencies, departments,
or organizations experiencing those concerns shall work to resolve such issues
at their level. Should the issue rise to the level of Chief Law Enforcement
Executive and a resolution is not reached in satisfaction of all parties, the
issue shall be brought before the PSAP Operation Practices Board for its action.

Section 2. Dispatch Procedures.

A. The County PSAP Communications Center shall have the ability to cause the
dispatch of emergency service agencies whose jurisdiction is, in whole or in
part, within the County.

B. Dispatch procedures for requests for police services shall be in accordance
with applicable laws and policies.

C. The following dispatch procedures are applicable to all state, county,
and local law enforcement agencies operating within the County: All citizens
requesting the non-emergency services of a specific police agency shall be dispatched
through the County PSAP Communications Center to the requested agency’s
post car, unless otherwise directed by that agency due to its unavailability.
Walk-in requests for non-emergency services which involve the jurisdiction of
a particular police agency shall be treated as a request for that specific agency,
thus requiring referral of that request to the appropriate agency.

D. The County PSAP Communications Center shall adhere to the following dispatch
protocols regarding all requests for police services within the County:

1. All 911 and seven digit wireline and wireless calls for police services
in a city, town or village that is patrolled by a police department other
than the Sheriff’s Department or the New York State Police shall be
assigned to such city, town or village department unless the primary agency
in that jurisdiction instructs the PSAP Communications Center otherwise due
to the unavailability of that agency. This should not preclude any police
officer traveling through the jurisdiction or another police department from
responding to an emergency request and rendering assistance until the arrival
of the primary agency.

2. All 911 calls, seven digit emergency wireline and wireless calls for
police services in areas of the County served by multiple police agencies,
including walk-in complaints of an emergency nature, shall be dispatched through
the County PSAP Communications Center to the nearest available patrol regardless
of agency affiliation. However, such calls or walk-ins that are for complaints
occurring within cities, towns or villages with an on-duty police force shall
be referred to any of such city, town or village department as established
by local protocol.

3. The County PSAP Communications Center will dispatch all calls for police
service on a fixed frequency designated for that purpose.

E. The following investigative protocols shall guide all State, County,
and local police officers working under this agreement:

1. In all cities, towns and villages with a sworn police force, all investigations
within their jurisdiction will be conducted by that respective police department,
regardless of which agency may have arrived on the scene first. This does
not preclude the primary agency from requesting assistance in that or any
other investigation consistent with established local protocols.

2. Areas of the County patrolled by the New York State Police and/or the
Sheriff , the agency nearest a call for service will be responsible for all
investigations. Seven-digit “emergency” calls dispatched as “nearest
car” shall be turned over to the requested agency upon its arrival.

3. This memorandum of understanding in no way precludes any police agency
from requesting assistance from any other police agency.

Section 3. Effective Date.

The conditions and procedures outlined in this Memorandum of Understanding
shall be in full force and effect immediately upon execution of this agreement.

Section 4. Agreements.

Compliance with the terms and conditions of this Memorandum of Understanding
shall be effectuated by the signatures of the following:

[Agency], by

____________________________________ Date _______________________

[Agency], by

____________________________________ Date _______________________

[Agency], by

____________________________________ Date _______________________

[Agency], by

____________________________________ Date _______________________

* In lieu of an Operation Practices Board, the parties may include in the Memorandum
of Understanding a process by which disputes are resolved by designated supervisors,
culminating, if necessary, by a resolution by the chief officer of each of the
respective police agencies, and if no such resolution is made by such chief
officers, then by the appropriate county legislative committee.