Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Judge Rules In Radiation Protection Case

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 02:01:02 -0400

Judge Rules In Radiation Protection Case

Comstar Communications has been barred from selling its WaveShield
protection patches by a federal court in California. The Federal Trade
Commission brought a complaint against the company, which claimed its
product, a shield that fits over mobile phone earpieces, could block up to 99% of
radiation and other electromagnetic energy emitted by mobile phones. The FTC
charged the company with making unsubstantiated scientific claims and argued
that the shields do not work as advertised. Major studies have found no harmful
effects from the use of cell phones. (Source: Dow Jones Newswire, AP)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1:39 PM PDT Thursday
FTC bars claims about cell phone 'shields'

Comstar Communications Inc., the now-closed West Sacramento company that marketed a device
it claimed could block
radiation emitted by mobile phones, was barred from making such claims in a settlement
with the Federal Trade Commission,
according to published reports.

Comstar advertised its WaveShield as 99 percent effective at blocking radiation from
phones. Some critics have raised concerns about adverse health effects from the emissions,
but research so far has found no harm.

The FTC sued Comstar and a Florida company over unsubstantiated scientific claims
associated with the shields, which fit over
phone earpieces, Reuters reported.

A federal judge in Sacramento reportedly approved an order last week barring the company
from making unsubstantiated
scientific claims.

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2003/05/05/daily32.html

========================================================================

Cos. Cell Phone Shield Claims Are Barred
Wed May 7, 4:23 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Two companies that sold small shields promoted as
protection from radiation emitted by cell phones have been barred from
making such claims, Federal Trade Commission officials said Wednesday.

The government is unlikely to collect any fines or consumer payments,
however, because the companies went out of business while the cases
were pending, said an agency lawyer, Serena Viswanathan.

FTC suits last charged the companies with making unsubstantiated
scientific claims about the shields that fit over cellular phone earpieces. The
government says the shields do not work as advertised and may cause
wireless (news - web sites) devices to emit even more energy.

Major studies have found no harmful effects of cell phones, but longer-term
research continues. Even if a danger is found, products that block only the
phone's earpiece are ineffective because the entire phone emits radiation,
the FTC says.

The FTC reached a settlement with Comstar Communications Inc. of West
Sacramento, Calif., which marketed the "WaveShield" as 99 percent
effective at blocking radiation. An order approved last week by the U.S.
District Court in Sacramento bars Comstar from making claims without
reliable scientific evidence. Calls to a lawyer representing Comstar were not
returned.

A federal judge in Florida issued a permanent injunction and a $726,874
default judgment last month against a Boca Raton, Fla., company. Stock
Value 1, later taken over by Meristar International, Inc., sold shields called
"SafeTShield" and "NoDanger." Company officials could not be reached for
comment.

On the Net:

Federal Trade Commission: http://www.ftc.gov/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030507/ap_on_hi_te/cell_phone_shields_2

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/