Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Office of Engineering and Technology hosting Workshop on Cognitive Radio Technologies on May 19, 2003

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 18:50:21 -0400

May 16, 2003

The Office of Engineering and Technology hosting Workshop on Cognitive Radio Technologies
on
May 19, 2003

ET Docket No. 03-108

On May 19, 2003, the Office of Engineering and Technology will host a public workshop on
cognitive radio technologies in the Commission Meeting Room.  Convened by Commissioner
Jonathan Adelstein, this workshop will be held in the Commission Meeting Room at the
Commission's Headquarters, 445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, DC, from 9:30 am to 5:00
pm.  This workshop will further pursue certain issues discussed in the Spectrum Policy
Task Force Report, and will help lay the foundation for a Commission proceeding on these
technologies.

The workshop is intended as a highly interactive forum among technological experts and
potential users of such technologies to discuss the latest developments in this area.  The
goals of the workshop are: (1) to inform Commission staff and interested parties,
including various spectrum users, about the potential capabilities and state of
development of various cognitive radio technologies, in the short and long term, and (2)
to identify potential changes to the Commission's technical rules, policies, procedures,
or practices that could help facilitate the economic development of such technologies.  

Cognitive radio technologies can enable a radio device and its antenna to adapt its
spectrum use in response to its operating environment.  As set out in the Spectrum Policy
Task Force Report, they constitute one set of leading edge technologies that promise more
efficient use of spectrum.  Often taking advantage of the neglected "time" element
associated with spectrum availability, cognitive radio technology can provide a variety of
options for a radio device/antenna to identify spectrum available for use that would
otherwise be unused but classed as unavailable today.  Such technology exists today in a
variety of military applications. 

Audio/Video coverage of the meeting will be broadcast live over the Internet from the
FCC's Audio/Video Events web page at http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio   Comments and questions
can be sent to workshop panelists during the course of the workshop at 
[email-masked].

We request that interested parties wishing to submit comments on these topics at this
point in the process do so in ET Docket No. 03-108.  Written comments may be filed using
the Commission's Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) as an electronic file via the
Internet at http://www.fcc.gov/e-file/ecfs.html

---snip---

For further information please contact the Office of Engineering and Technology, Dr. Mike
Marcus, (202) 418-2418, email [email-masked], or James Miller, (202) 418-7351, TTY
(202) 418-2989, email [email-masked].

Source: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234600A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/