Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC EXPOSED- PART 1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 14:36:57 -0400

FCC EXPOSED- PART 1

WASHINGTON, DC, May 22, 2003 – The three largest local phone companies control 83 percent of home
telephone lines. The top two long distance carriers control 67 percent of that market. The four
biggest cellular phone companies have 64 percent of the wireless market. The five largest cable
companies pipe programming to 74 percent of the cable subscribers nationwide.

Those findings come from the Center for Public Integrity’s unprecedented examination of the
telecommunications industry, the centerpiece of which is a first-of-its-kind, 65,000 record,
searchable database containing ownership information on virtually every radio station, television
station, cable television system and telephone company in America.

The database reveals that broadcasting and cable behemoths such as Viacom, Clear Channel and Comcast
already dominate many of the nation’s media markets, even as the Federal Communications Commission
moves to further relax media ownership rules at a meeting scheduled for June 2. To illustrate this
trend, the Center analyzed current media ownership in the hometowns of the five FCC
commissioners—though any American can get similar information from the database about his or her
hometown with a few simple key strokes.

The report also explores the close relationship between the FCC and the interests it regulates. FCC
officials have taken more than 2,500 trips paid for by companies and trade groups from the
telecommunications and broadcasting industries, and the agency increasingly relies on
industry-generated data to justify sweeping deregulation proposals.

This report, entitled “Well-Connected,” is the first phase of a three-year investigation of the
telecommunications industry. The full report and database can be found on the Center’s web site.

Media concentration

The ownership study uses the hometowns of the five commissioners as examples of how local ownership
of the media in the nation has dwindled since 1996 when the FCC most recently loosened its
regulations on media ownership.
The ownership study in the five cities reveals:

Of the 203 commercial radio stations in the five home towns, 48 are owned by four publicly traded,
out-of-state radio conglomerates. Twenty-seven of those are owned by radio giant Clear Channel
Communications.  The cable systems in the five communities are controlled by four companies. AOL
Time Warner owns systems in Charlotte, N.C., and Milwaukee; Birmingham’s system is owned by
Advance/Newhouse, which is also programmed by AOL Time Warner; Louisville’s system is owned by
Insight Communications Co., the nation’s ninth-largest cable company. Only the Rapid City system is
locally owned.

Of the 20 network affiliates in the five cities, 15 are owned by out-of-state companies, including
two each by News Corp. (Fox Entertainment Group) and Hearst-Argyle Television Inc. (a division of
Hearst Corp.).
Frequent FCC fliers—on industry’s nickle

The Center examined travel records of FCC employees and entered that information into a searchable
database, also accessible through the web site.

The report shows that FCC officials have taken 2,500 trips costing nearly $2.8 million over the past
eight years, most of it from the telecommunications and broadcast industries the agency regulates.
That was in addition to about $2 million a year in official travel funded by taxpayers. Among the
other findings:

FCC commissioners and agency staffers attended hundreds of conventions, conferences and other events
in locations all over the world, including Paris, Hong Kong and Rio de Janeiro staying in such
high-priced hotels as the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
The top destination was Las Vegas, with 330 trips. Second was New Orleans with 173 trips and third
was New York with 102 trips. Fourth on the list was London, which FCC officials visited 98 times.
Other popular destinations included Orlando, San Francisco, Miami, Anchorage, Palm Springs, Buenos
Aires and Beijing.  The biggest industry sponsor of the trips was the National Association of
Broadcasters, which paid $191,472 to bring 206 FCC officials to its events. NAB, which represents
radio and television stations nationwide, has lobbied aggressively in recent months to keep the
current FCC rules limiting media ownership in place.

Reliance on industry data

A third report came out of the Center’s data gathering efforts, which revealed a disturbing
dependence by the FCC on outside information providers.

The report finds that the FCC’s reliance on non-government private data is so ingrained that when
public interest groups asked for access to data underlying a series of media ownership reports last
fall, the FCC relented only after issuing a quasi-judicial “protective order” meant to keep the
information secret.

When the Center was constructing its database of media companies, researchers and reporters were
repeatedly referred by FCC staff to private companies for basic information on ownership, audience
reach and cable subscribers. Getting market share information, which is key when reviewing whether
broadcasters are within existing FCC limits, was all but impossible without going outside the
agency.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/