Subject: [NEXTEL-1] indoor amplified TV antenna

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 21:40:28 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: "eric995us" <[email-masked]>
Subject: indoor amplified TV antenna

I just got finished tracking down another interferer to the local
cellular system.  It was a Phillips MANT-300 indoor amplified TV
antenna.  It was 7/8 of a mile from the cell site and was, on the cell
site antennas, -105dBm on 831.1 +/- MHz.  

We (my company) got him another antenna after telling him (verbally)
that we would like to have the old one.  When we went back to his
house, he took the new antenna and when I asked if I could have the
old one, he said "No, I'm going to use it at my trailer up north.  You
have my word I won't use the old one here." He thanked us and closed
the door, leaving us standing on his porch.

I was hoping to get the old unit and see what it was like inside and
see if I determine what exactly was happening to make it oscillate.  

Oh well.

I'm going to try to get the company legal dept to write a letter
thanking him for his cooperation in fixing the interference and
mentioning that the FCC has legal responsibility for finding these
things and if they were to find it, they would be a lot less pleasant
than us about wanting it....in other words, please don't use it....

The characteristics of this interference was a 50KHz or so wide FM
modulated signal with 120Hz hum on it.  The frequency was fairly
stable, only drifting around 100KHz or so.  Based on the signal levels
I measured adjacent to the device while it was powered up, I would say
the thing was doing as well as my signal generator when I get +10 to
+20dBm out of it.

Has anyone managed to get their hands on one of these and determined
the cause of their failure?  Is it a failure within the "antenna"
itself, a bad piece of coax between the "antenna" and the TV, or
signal leaking out of the TV, back into the "antenna"??????

Eric

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/