Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The New WiFi Gels With 4G

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 23:48:19 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2003/5398.htm
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

The
New WiFi Gels With 4G

21st
May 2003

US
: A more robust standard for high-speed broadband wireless delivery
to laptops and desktops will augment the burgeoning WiFi market beginning
in late 2004. The position of the 802.16a standard ( see below
for more details ) today parallels that of WLAN technology
in the late 1990’s, when the market finally grew as 802.11 price
vs. performance gains converted WLAN from a niche to mass market. In
the very near future, 802.16a will also achieve important price and
performance points, a new Visant Strategies study finds.

“Under the
current conditions, 802.16a could emulate 802.11’s rise several
years from now,” said study author Visant Strategies Senior Analyst
Andy Fuertes. “Many chip and equipment vendors ignored the chance
to get into the 802.11 market early and create market share due to market-size
limitations created by high equipment costs, a much smaller potential
audience and no need for all things Internet and Intranet yet. WiMAX
( see below for more details ) offers these technology companies
a fresh start.”

802.16a is considered
the next step beyond WiFi because it is optimized for broadband operation,
fixed and later mobile, in the wide area network. It already includes
numerous advances that are slated for introduction into the 802.11 standard,
such as quality of service, enhanced security, higher data rates, and
mesh and smart antenna technology allowing better utilization of the
spectrum.

The study, “
802.16/WiMAX Technologies: World Market Forecasts 2003-2008,”
finds WiMAX and WiFi complementary as the two technologies address different
segments of the market and are optimized for different tasks; local
vs. metropolitan area networking. Last mile access will be the first
application for 802.16a but mobility will follow via 802.16e. WiMAX
is considered a migration path to 4G, but more likely to be used by
holders of BWA spectrum rather than mobile carriers. 802.16a is also
expected to play a role in outdoor and private networks, the extension
of hot spots, and backhaul applications that lack line-of -sight

The opportunity
for 802.16a equipment is forecast to reach a value of approximately
$1 billion in 2008, the study finds, with growth accelerating late in
the period. The study provides global forecasts for 802.16a/e equipment
and chipset shipments and revenues as well as the technology’s
penetration in the overall global BWA market.

The purpose
of WiMAX is to promote deployment of broadband wireless access
networks by using a global standard and certifying interoperability
of products and technologies.

Principles:

WiMAX comprises of industry leaders who are committed to the open interoperability
of all products used for broadband wireless access.

Support IEEE 802.16 standard

Propose and promote access
profiles for ther IEEE 802.16 standard

Certify interoperability
levels both in network and the cell

Achieve global acceptance

Promote use of broadband
wireless access overall

Motivation:

WiMAX intends to foster a more competitive BWA marketplace by specifying
minimum air-interface performance between various vendors' products
and certifying products that meet those performance benchmarks

For network operators
this means interoperability between equipment vendors

For equipment vendors this means fewer product variants

For component vendors this means larger series

For end-users this means faster and cheaper access whcih is more widely
available

The IEEE
802.16 Air Interface Standard is truly a state-of-the-art specification
for fixed broadband wireless access systems employing a point-to-multipoint
(PMP) architecture. The initial version was developed with the goal
of meeting the requirements of a vast array of deployment scenarios
for BWA systems operating between 10 and 66 GHz. As a result, only a
subset of the functionality is needed for typical deployments directed
at specific markets. An amendment is almost finished to do the same
for systems operating between 2 and 11 GHz. Additionally, the IEEE process
stops short of providing conformance statements and test specifications.
In order to ensure interoperability between vendors competing in the
same market, the WiMAX technical working groups were created by the
leaders in IEEE 802.16 technology. The working groups address these
issues by developing system profiles and by producing PICS proforma,
Test Suite Structure and Test Purposes specifications and Abstract Test
Suite specifications according to the ISO/IEC 9464 series (equivalent
to ITU-T x.290 series) of conformance testing standards.

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Push-to-talk
First European Wireless Trial

Radiolinja
will be the first European mobile network operator to trial fastmobile's
new fastchat push-to-talk service that combines instant messaging, picture
messaging and radio phone-like voice messaging in one application.

Playboy
Comes To 3G

Playboy
Enterprises announced a global content deal has been signed to give 3
exclusive, multi-year rights to provide Playboy's print, online and broadcast
libraries to wireless customers in markets operated by Hutchison's 3G
Companies.

Ease-of-use
Primary Barrier to Wireless

Many
mobile users are still perplexed by complicated handset configuration
and service access. That's the message from SmartTrust, who suggests the
slower than expected uptake of data services, as reported by many of the
industry's analysts, is a result of poor user experiences.

The
New WiFi Gels With 4G

A
more robust standard for high-speed broadband wireless delivery to laptops
and desktops will augment the burgeoning WiFi market beginning in late
2004. The position of the 802.16a standard today parallels that of WLAN
technology

Erskine
Says o2 Gaining Mobile Momentum

mmO2
continued record-breaking growth for text messaging (SMS) - handling on
average more than 30 million messages per day - and other mobile data
services for the year ending 31 March 2003, it was announced today.

Innovation
To Drive Wireless Handset Market

Wireless
users are migrating toward feature-rich devices that incorporate color
screens, advanced data, and messaging applications, including navigation,
gaming, multimedia messaging, and instant messaging, among others.

3G
Home

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.