Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Appleton, Wis., Businesses to Offer Free Wireless Net Connection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:51:07 -0400

Appleton, Wis., Businesses to Offer Free Wireless Net Connection
Source: The Post-Crescent
Publication date: 2003-04-14
Arrival time: 2003-05-15

Apr. 14--WHAT: Wireless Networks, Athenet and City Center Plaza, 10
College Ave., are sponsoring free high-speed wireless Internet access in
the downtown building's foyer. Portable computers configured for wireless
communication have access via a router near the front entrance.

WHY IT'S IMPORTANT: Making wireless Internet access available for free
is a great way to inform area residents about the technology available
while also bringing more people to City Center, said Stu Gurnee of
Wireless Networks.

"These free access points are common in Europe and on the East and
West Coasts and we saw it as a way to let more people know about it,"
he said.

Athenet, which offers a paid wireless service to local subscribers, is
interested in getting the word out about the technology, said Steve
Kuckuk, Athenet's director of new business development.

"We really wanted to make wireless Internet more visible in the Fox Cities.
Anyone who has a wireless card in their laptop can now go to the mall on
their lunch hour or whatever and work," he said, adding that the majority of
new computers now come with built-in wireless cards.

HOW IT WORKS: Users access the Internet at a hot spot via radio
frequencies. An antenna on the wall helps connect the computers to the
network. Seating areas on all three floors receive a signal strong enough to
surf the Web or communicate via e-mail or Instant Messenger.

"Wireless is just as fast as broadband and is really the next wave. You
can do it without cable connections, which is important for some
businesses especially those who are leasing space and don't want to put
holes in the wall," Gurnee said. "That way when they move they can just
pick up their computers and go and not worry about the cables."

ON THE WEB

www.wirenets.com

www.Athenet.net
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=38805498&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/