Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: First-in-the-nation"hot building"

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:52:35 -0400

Actually they may not have inhaled any controlled substances based on the math below.

Here is some "Reality" to the Capex spent by some companies........

"Verizon will sell only Proxim's Orinoco 802.11a and 802.11b access points and
cards. The cost of the gear and other services Verizon will offer will depend on the
size of the business and the installation work involved (a Boston real estate company
with 15 employees spent $2,600 on gear from Verizon)."

So.........the Boston real estate company with 15 employees spent $2,600.

A 34 story building can easily support an occupancy of 100 times that. Using Vz's simple
model we can conclude

$2,600 per 15 Employees X 100 = 1,500 Employees @ $260,000.00

1500 Employees ~ 34 Floors = Approx. 44 employees per floor (occupancy is probably higher)
~  $260,000.00 = $7647.00 per floor.

Remember the system most likely has  excess capacity so it hard to estimate the quantities
of  RP-TNC's used.

$9000 per floor is inline.

=====================================================================

Verizon offers 802.11 to small businesses

The trend of carriers offering 802.11 services to their customers continues, with
Verizon Communications’ announcement that it would target small businesses for
its 802.11 services. Since November Verizon has been selling wireless networking
equipment and installation know-how to businesses in the Boston area, emphasizing
business with fewer than 100 employees. The company liked the reception it got, and
is now planning to expand its offering nation wide. It will begin selling 802.11 gear
and services in seven Eastern seaboard states, including New York and New Jersey.
Verizon has a different model than those adopted by other carriers. AT&T Wireless,
T-Mobile USA (but also Verizon Wireless, the wireless arm of Verizon
Communications), aim their services to the mass market. Nextel Communications
targets large corporations (most of which already use Nextel Communications cell
phones). Verizon Communications believes small business offer an untapped niche,
and that they hold several advantages, chief among them is the fact that many small
businesses are located in rented space not designed well for wireless networking.

Verizon will sell only Proxim's Orinoco 802.11a and 802.11b access points and
cards. The cost of the gear and other services Verizon will offer will depend on the
size of the business and the installation work involved (a Boston real estate company
with 15 employees spent $2,600 on gear from Verizon).

www.80211report.com

Nigel Ballard wrote:

> A Vivato at $9K a throw is required for each floor remember.
>
> But still I've no idea who was smoking that much crack to blow $300K for
> just 34 floors.  Must have been a lot of gold plated RP-TNC's in use!
>
> Cheers Nigel
>
> Nigel Ballard
> [email-masked]
> www.joejava.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/