Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Vanu Demos Soft Radio PDA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:58:38 -0400

[email-masked] wrote

From:
 UNSTRUNG NEWS FEED
:http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=33718

> Vanu Demos Soft Radio PDA
> 05.14.03
>
> WASHINGTON -- Vanu, Inc. is demonstrating the first hand-held software radio
> device today at the "

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:52:15 -0400

WASHINGTON -- Vanu, Inc. is demonstrating the first hand-held software radio
device today at the "Wireless Innovations: New Technologies and Evolving Policies"
Showcase in Washington, DC. The event, hosted by the Commerce Department's
National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the FCC and the U.S.
Department of State's International Communications and Information Policy group,
brings together premier wireless technology demonstrations and facilitates policy
discussions about the state of technology and innovation in the wireless
telecommunications industry.

Vanu, Inc., selected by show organizers as a "leading edge" participant, is a
developer of software radios. Unlike traditional hardware radios, which are limited to
one specific type of communication service, software radios allow a single wireless
device to provide multiple services. This means one software radio can now support
a range of capabilities that previously required multiple hardware radios.

Featured among Vanu, Inc.'s demonstrations is the first hand-held software radio
using general purpose processors. "This device is the culmination of nine years of
software radio research, coupled with the advancements in processing power
promised by Moore's Law," says Dr. Vanu Bose, founder and CEO of Vanu, Inc.

The standard off-the-shelf Hewlett-Packard iPAQ, runs on a Xscale processor from
Intel and a Linux operating system. The radio transceiver operates from 100 MHz to
475 MHz and is housed in a standard iPAQ expansion pack. The iPAQ utilizes Vanu
Software Radio(TM) to implement all of the signal processing. The current
configuration of the device supports commercial analog FM radio service, including
Family Band Radio, as well as the public safety APCO 25 digital standard. Future
prototypes under development include operational capabilities of up to 900 MHz and
support for cellular and PCS standards such as TDMA and GSM.

Such a device has great appeal in the public safety community, where decentralized
purchasing decisions, legacy systems and advancements in technology have left
first responders unable to communicate with other agencies at an emergency
scene. A handheld software radio with the capability of operating among several
standards and frequencies alleviates the communications problems caused by
incompatible radio systems.

"Someday, most public safety radios will be software-based," said David Coursey,
executive editor of ZDNet AnchorDesk, an online technology newsletter. "Making the
best use of spectrum while improving compatibility and multi-agency connectivity are
problems that software radios seem best-suited to solve. Vanu, Inc. is way ahead of
this curve."

"I want this kind of technology for my own emergency communications work," added
Mr. Coursey, who also has nearly 20 years' experience working with emergency
services agencies.

In addition to the hand-held software radio, Vanu, Inc. is also demonstrating their
software radio GSM basestation and a multi-mode laptop system with the ability to
support multiple standards on a single system. The second day of the event
features a roundtable on Unlicensed Wireless Technologies. Dr. Bose is
participating as a panelist for the Spectrum Policy and Regulatory Issues
discussion, along with business leaders, policy makers and experts from industry,
government and academia.