Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mauritania to improve GSM coverage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:08:25 -0400

Mauritania to improve GSM coverage

interWAVE Communications has won a US$1.8 million GSM contract with Mauritel
Mobiles in the northern African country of Mauritania. interWAVE is to supply a
turnkey GSM solution to connect four remote GSM network extensions to the capital
city, Nouakchott, via satellite. The four outlying municipalities include the city
of Zouerate, a major economic center anchored by the mining industry. interWAVE is
expected to replace a major wireless supplier in this region.

Ahmedou Ould Ahmed Sidi, technical director of Mauritel Mobiles, commented, "After
a careful review of the offerings of the communications infrastructure providers,
it became clear that interWAVE's solution offered the most convincing value
proposition -- the combination of a high level of capabilities at the most
affordable price. The ability to provide cost-effective local switching in all
four remote cities was critical to Mauritel Mobiles since it enables us to
significantly reduce our satellite backhaul costs. Additionally, it allows us to
meet the regulatory requirement of local interconnection to both the wireline and
our competitor's wireless networks in each of these cities. We are confident the
interWAVE solution will present immediate cost savings to Mauritel Mobiles and we
look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship."

interWAVE's turnkey solution for Mauritel Mobiles includes four remote GSM network
extensions including radio, switching, satellite compression and microwave
equipment. Each remote system is designed to interface with an Alcatel centralized
Intelligent Network (IN) prepaid system based in Nouakchott. interWAVE's GSM
solution, integrated with advanced satellite compression capabilities, is
anticipated to provide more than 50 percent satellite bandwidth savings compared
to competing GSM solutions.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/8964.shtml
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/