Subject: [NEXTEL-1] How Intel blew it on wireless

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 22:29:32 -0400

How Intel blew it on wireless
David Coursey,
Executive Editor, AnchorDesk
Wednesday, May 7, 2003

Intel should never have added Wi-Fi to its Centrino chipset. Now is not the time, and
802.11b is not the protocol. Which is why I'm hard-pressed to recommend Centrino-based
machines unless you plan to replace the built-in wireless with an 802.11g PC Card when the
time comes.

I bring this up now because some of you may have read our recent coverage of the new
chipset and/or seen reviews of some of the new notebooks (such as the Toshiba Satellite
Pro M10-S405 or the Sony Electronics Vaio PCG-Z1) that use it and, as a result, may be
considering a Centrino purchase. My recommendation: Beware!

IF THIS MAKES ME (as some of you have accused) "anti-Intel," so be it. It wouldn't be the
first time that charge has been leveled at me. My best friend Rick, to whom I hardly ever
speak, works at Intel. The reason we don't talk as much as we used to has nothing to do
with his employment--at least that's what he says.

Rick has complained--though not terribly--that I'm always trashing the company he loves.
Actually, I love Intel too, but I hold them to a very high standard--a standard to which
(I believe) Intel wants to be held.

So when Intel decides to include wireless capabilities in its new chipset for mobile
computers, I want to see Intel do it right. And with Centrino I don't think it has.

Why? Because wireless standards aren't fully in place. We're at the beginning of a
transition from 802.11b, which runs at 11Mbps (if you're very, very lucky), to 802.11g,
which theoretically runs at 54Mbps but remains compatible with 802.11b. The 802.11a
standard, which is as speedy as 'g' but not downwardly compatible, seems to have missed
its window of opportunity.

By building 802.11b into all Centrino machines, Intel seems to have also built in
obsolescence. Sure, the Centrinos will be compatible with 802.11g--but they'll be slow,
second-class machines.

Now, there's more to Centrino than built-in wireless. It also has improved power
management and some other valuable features for road warriors. Nothing incredibly new, but
still welcome. I'm sure Intel is hoping Centrino will kick-start notebook sales, something
I'd welcome. And I admit that built-in wireless is very attractive, a key feature in
getting customers to buy in this economy.

Would you buy a notebook with built-in 802.11b networking? Sure, why not? 11Mbps is plenty
fast enough for me.
 Nope, I'd rather get 802.11g now--or wait for it.

DOES THE EXTRA SPEED you get with 802.11g really matter? In many cases, no. Consider the
case of a home network: Your Net connection speed is limited by your DSL or cable modem,
which typically runs at less than 2Mbps, often a lot less. Since 802.11b runs between 2
and 11Mbps, depending on conditions and locations, your wireless net won't constrain your
Internet connection speed.

In a business environment, you may have access to a much faster Internet connection. But
the amount of network bandwidth you can commandeer as a single user will be limited by a
variety of factors; the speed you experience will depend more on your company's network
infrastructure than on your wireless chipset.

Still, suppose you're doing video conferencing on your corporate network or someday expect
to stream video around your home. Or maybe you just move lots of really big files. In each
of these cases, your notebook's wireless hardware should be a significant gating factor.
(I say "should" because your mileage will vary based on other network factors.)

As wireless entertainment and video become commonplace over the next few years, the need
for wireless speed will only accelerate. The 802.11b that may be acceptable today will be
too slow someday soon. Given that 802.11g is sliding down in price, I expect that it's
what we'll all be buying in six months.

TO BE FAIR, I think Microsoft was remiss for bringing out a line of 802.11b wireless
hardware instead of using its stature (and buying power) to push 802.11g adoption. One
response to such criticism has been that the final 802.11g standard doesn't yet exist.
True enough. But when the standard does get ratified, it should be easy to make the
necessary software upgrades. The same situation existed in the early days of 802.11b and
didn't slow the adoption of that standard.

So just as Microsoft should have chosen 802.11g, I believe Intel should have built 802.11g
into Centrino (the way Apple built it into its latest PowerBooks) or simply waited until
the market adopted 802.11g. The 'g' standard provides enough speed for the foreseeable
future and assures that slow wireless won't hold users back.

It's not like the wireless industry--or users--really need Intel or Microsoft. Heck, Intel
has already been forced out of the wireless peripheral business. And Microsoft's
involvement raises issues regarding unfair competition.

So do I hate Intel and by extension Microsoft? Certainly not. Intel, along with Microsoft,
Apple, and perhaps a very few others are what I call "destiny companies," because what
they do will shape our collective technological destiny in very important ways. As a
result, they should live up to the very highest standards.

In the case of Intel's Centrino and, more generally, Intel and Microsoft's insistence on
pushing 802.11b when 802.11g is right around the corner, I don't think either company has.

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2913596,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/