Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola and Automation SolutionsTeam Up to Provide Cost-Effective Solutions for Data Collection and Delivery to Utilities

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 22:12:17 -0400

Motorola and Automation SolutionsTeam Up to Provide Cost-Effective Solutions for Data
Collection and Delivery to Utilities

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., May 5, 2003 - Motorola (NYSE:MOT) and Automation Solutions, Inc. today
announced an agreement to integrate their technologies to provide utility companies with
cost-effective
communications solutions for equipment monitoring and data collection. Under this teaming
agreement, Motorola will offer Automation Solutions' AutoSol Enterprise Server (AES)
communication
software on its DataTACTM and iDEN® private networks.

"By combining our companies' capabilities, utility customers will be able to use their
existing
automation products over a single secure, private network, which will increase
efficiencies and lower
operating costs," said Geno Viviano, Motorola Communications and Electronics Inc. Vice
President,
Special Markets Division.

"Our AES software can simultaneously and reliably communicate with utilities' remote
control and
measurement products for data acquisition and automated meter reading," said Doug Osburn,
CEO
and President, Automation Solutions, Inc. "When you couple the AES software with
Motorola's private
network, it provides one of the most flexible and economic solutions for data collection
and delivery
available today."

Automation Solutions' software will support Motorola's Private DataTAC, a user-owned
wireless data
communications network, or Motorola's iDEN® wireless IP network that combines voice,
telephone
interconnect, mobile data and fixed data on one network. AES software simultaneously
supports
SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) and AMR (Automated Meter Reading)
functions
from a single Microsoft Windows platform.

"This solution will enable utility companies to transfer their legacy communication
methods to our
Private DataTAC network with minimum disruption to their existing host systems, data
validation
systems and other related databases," noted Jim Hanson, Motorola Special Market's Wireless
Data
Solutions Manager. "Our customers will have reliable and secure access to their data
without incurring
costs associated with public service providers."

In addition, utility companies will be able to control their own private wireless
networks.

"This control is critical to business success because it offers customers the ability to
expand capacity
precisely when they need it in saturated zones without the need to wait for assistance
from their
wireless service provider," said Hanson.

Private DataTAC operates on 25 kHz or 12.5 kHz channels in the 800 and 900 MHz Private
Mobile
Radio frequency bands and uses Radio Data Link Access Protocol (RD-LAP) for high-speed
communication and quick dispatch response time within all types of mobile radio
environments. iDEN®
systems range from a large, statewide network to a small, single-site private system.

"We chose to team up with Motorola because of the company's long history of providing
reliable
communication systems," said Osburn. "Our communications software tool is only as good as
the
communication system on which it is being used, and we believe that Motorola's is the best
system to
serve utilities' needs."

"Our alliance with Automation Solutions is another example of how Motorola is working to
enhance and
expand the functionality of our utility customers' networks," said Viviano. "As the
ability to perform
existing and new applications over a single network expands, we will continue to explore
additional
alliances to service a wide range of industries."

About Automation Solutions, Inc.
Automation Solutions, Inc. (ASI) provides SCADA and AMR or EFM products and services on
multiple
levels to various industries. Primarily, a provider of SCADA and AMR software products.
The focus of
these products is within the SCADA and AMR applications market where systems must monitor
and
control geographically distributed assets. Our mission is to provide solutions to the most
complex and
troublesome issues facing industry today in regards to SCADA and AMR communication. Our
software
solutions have been continuously developed and enhanced based on our 15+ years as a system

integrator, a service on which our company was originally founded.

http://www.motorola.com/LMPS/pressreleases/page3044.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/