Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Voices Of Real Subscribers Tell OnStar Story In Radio Ad Campaign

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:12:40 -0400

What are they going to do when analog service is phased out like CDPD? Onstar is going
"Digital" this year on the 1900 & 850 Mhz bands. What happens to those existing
Non-Digital customers?? Can you say upgrade?  I wonder how many people will spend and
$500- $1000 to upgrade their units after making an initial $1,000 investment. This coupled
with low customer renewal rates around 42% points to tough times ahead for Onstar.

I can see it now............................................

1 Million cars with AMPS junk!

==================================================================================
FOR RELEASE: April 29, 2003

CONTACTS

Voices Of Real Subscribers Tell OnStar Story In Radio Ad Campaign

TROY, MI - OnStar's "real-world" advertising campaign uses true stories, in the
subscribers' own voices, to demonstrate the
benefits of OnStar's safety and security services.

The ad campaign and the need for marketing is the subject of the keynote speech by Tony
DiSalle, OnStar vice president of
Sales, Services and Marketing, at today's opening session of Telematics Update Detroit
2003 at Cobo Hall.

The new radio ads use the actual recording of a subscriber's call to an OnStar advisor in
critical on-road situations as well
as normal travel needs. OnStar has turned to radio for the major focus of its safety and
security advertising messages for
several reasons - it's effective, efficient, allows quick and lower-cost production, and
is typically heard in the vehicle, where
the service has the most impact. OnStar services include automatic air bag notification,
stolen vehicle location, remote door
unlock, emergency services and routing.

The 60-second audio format allows more time to explain the service than the typical
30-second TV spot, and compels the
listener to feel that emotional connection between a subscriber who might be in trouble on
the road and the OnStar advisor.
The actual recordings bring the added dimension of a real-life experience and capture the
urgency, excitement and
believability of the incident.

"One thing we've learned in our seven years of delivering these life-saving services is
that there's a special connection
between the OnStar subscriber and advisor, two human beings reaching out to each other in
a time of need, " said DiSalle.
"To be able to capture that moment and share this life changing experience allows everyone
to understand the importance
and real benefits of OnStar."

This campaign, created by Campbell-Ewald, is a natural progression from the award-winning
Batman ads of the previous
two years. Batman did yeoman's work increasing OnStar brand recognition for consumer-aided
awareness to an amazing
90 percent and unaided awareness to 60 percent. Now, through these real-life stories, the
OnStar radio ads demonstrate
how each service works. And new research shows that these radio ads stand out from other
commercials. About 95
percent of consumers say they feel the ads are believable and more than 70 percent of new
vehicle buyers indicate they're
more likely to consider OnStar services.

OnStar currently has 13 radio ads in rotation on a number of national radio networks
during drive time and top-rated
programming. On a schedule of every 30-45 days, OnStar plans to add five new ads, and drop
out five ads. And OnStar is
also airing a Spanish-language subscriber story ad in select major Hispanic markets.

This ongoing rotation will keep the campaign fresh and continue to reinforce the fact that
subscriber calls come into the
OnStar Center every day from throughout the United States. In fact, OnStar answers a broad
range of service requests every
day. On a monthly average (Dec. 2002-Feb. 2003), OnStar responds to approximately:

670 automatic air bag deployments
365 stolen vehicle reports
15,000 remote vehicle diagnostics requests
220,000 routing calls
27,000 remote door unlock requests
14,000 roadside assistance calls
6,000 emergency calls

Along with the radio campaign, OnStar will be running similar subscriber story-based print
ads in national women's
publications (including Family Fun, Working Mom, Better Homes & Gardens, Oprah) and
general titles (including Time,
Newsweek, U.S. News and World Report) as well as several travel publications. OnStar will
also have an ad presence on
the Web, revolving around search engine key words and previously owned-vehicle sites.
There will also be banners on the
online Wall Street Journal site. There are no plans for any TV ads at this time but future
possibilities are being explored.

Launched in the 4th quarter of 2002, the OnStar real-life stories ad campaign has seen an
immediate boost in many key
measures, including service comprehension, "value for the money," and renewal intent.

About OnStar

OnStar, available on a range of vehicles from seven auto manufacturers, is the nation's
leading provider of in-vehicle safety,
security and information services using the Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite
network and wireless technology.
OnStar services include automatic notification of air bag deployment, stolen vehicle
location, emergency services, roadside
assistance with location, remote door unlock, remote diagnostics, route support, OnStar
concierge and convenience
services. OnStar Personal Calling allows drivers to make and receive hands-free,
voice-activated phone calls through a
nationwide cellular network and access real-time traffic and weather reports, as well as
sports scores, stock quotes and
news. Additional information is available on the Web at www.onstar.com.

CONTACT(S):
Geri Lama, OnStar Communications
248-588-4950
[email-masked]

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/030429_onstar.html

see other Onstar video's here:

http://onstar.internetpressroom.com/videoaudio.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/