Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Siemens Tests In-Flight 3G Wireless Service

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 21:02:20 -0400

Siemens Tests In-Flight 3G Wireless Service

Siemens is testing the ability of 3G wireless technology to provide voice, video
and data services aboard aircraft in-flight. The high-speed wireless service could
provide live video and still pictures from the cockpit to air traffic controllers on the
ground, as well as Web browsing, e-mail, voice and entertainment services for passengers.

==================================================================================

3G takes to the skies

The next generation of mobile phone technology is taking to the skies.

Technology firm Siemens has been running tests on the viability of airborne fast
networks, using third generation (3G) mobile technology.

It found that 3G could improve safety, security and air traffic management.

The technology has been tested on board a research aircraft at Boscombe
Down in Salisbury.

Live video of activities in the cockpit and cabin was transmitted to researchers
on the ground, with still photographs taken by a webcam.

A voice call was made while another passenger browsed the internet and
watched a video streamed from a server on the ground.

Black box

As well as offering passengers web and e-mail access, 3G on planes could
provide a valuable new channel for communications between pilot and air traffic
control staff.

Europe's skies have never been busier and the aviation industry is running
short of radio spectrum.

3G could offer an alternative line of communication as well as acting as a live
black box, eliminating the search for the equipment if the aircraft crashes.

The next stage will be to test the technology in a commercial airline on an
extended route.

Siemens predicts that 3G in planes will become standard in five years' time.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/technology/2991977.stm

Published: 2003/05/06 07:56:42

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/