Subject: [NEXTEL-1] United States Magistrate, Sends Unlicensed Raio Operator to Jail-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:49:30 -0400

RAYON SHERWIN “JUNIOR” PAYNE SENTENCED TO PRISON FOR UNLICENSED RADIO OPERATION

Washington, D.C. - Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced that, in
the United States Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division, United States Magistrate,
Honorable David A. Baker sentenced Rayon Sherwin “Junior” Payne to 9 months imprisonment,
followed by one year supervised release during which time he must perform 50 hours of
community service.  Payne was charged with multiple counts of operating an unlicensed FM
radio facility, in violation of Title 47, United States Code, Section 301.  He pleaded
guilty to two of the counts before Magistrate Judge Baker.

 The conditions of supervised release stipulate that Payne must not violate any Federal,
State or Local laws, including Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.
The case was prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s Office, Middle District of
Florida, Orlando Division.

The conviction and subsequent sentencing is the result of an investigation that began in
February of 1999.  The Commission’s Tampa Florida Office received complaints from
residents and broadcasters in the Orlando, Florida area of interference to the reception
of licensed broadcast stations in the area. Payne pled guilty to two counts of unlicensed
radio operation and agreed to forfeit all equipment used in connection with the unlicensed
operation in February of 2003.

The operation of an unlicensed broadcast station is a violation of Section 301 of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended.  Operators of unlicensed stations may be subject
to civil monetary penalties of up to $11,000 per single violation or per day of a
continuing violation not to exceed $87,500 for continuing violations.  In addition,
unlicensed operators may be subject to criminal sanctions, including a maximum $100,000
fine and up to one year imprisonment for a first offense.

- FCC -

Enforcement Bureau Contact: Lisa M. Fowlkes at (202) 418-7450 / TTY 1(888) 835-5322
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-234292A1.doc
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/