Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Delivers Secure, Fast and Efficient Data Access to Mobile Workers with a Mobile VPN Solution That Leverages IBM Software

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:49:44 -0400

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030521/215125_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.

Nextel Delivers Secure, Fast and Efficient Data Access to Mobile Workers with a Mobile VPN Solution That Leverages IBM Software
Wednesday May 21, 9:30 am ET

Solution is Part of the Nextel Alliance with IBM

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 21, 2003--Nextel Communications
Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News), a leading provider of fully integrated digital
wireless communications, today announced it is offering a new mobile
Virtual Private Network (VPN) solution that uses IBM (NYSE:IBM - News)
software to provide mobile workers a higher level of security, faster
response times and more efficient access to key enterprise data
anywhere on Nextel's all-digital packet data network.

ADVERTISEMENT

The IBM software, WebSphere Everyplace Connection Manager (WECM),
allows Nextel subscribers to utilize a standards-based VPN platform
that provides reliable, secure, high-speed connections to wirelessly
access mission-critical data.

WebSphere Everyplace Connection Manager helps corporate IT
departments streamline the systems they need to support corporate
customers by providing a consistent platform that offers network
optimization, end-to-end security and scalability which reduces costs
and improves user experience.

"WebSphere Everyplace Connection Manager offers enterprise
customers a middleware solution that is faster, better, less expensive
and simpler than what is currently available," said Ernie Cormier,
Nextel vice president for Business Solutions. "That is the centerpiece
of what Nextel's Wireless Business Solutions is about - improving the
productivity and efficiency of companies by bringing real-time
information to remote decision-makers. IBM WebSphere Everyplace
Connection Manager clearly does that."

"Customers extending their existing IT infrastructure running IBM
software across Nextel's national network can look forward to gaining
secure access to key information on-demand from virtually anyplace and
at anytime," said Adel Al-Saleh, general manager, IBM Wireless
e-Business Solutions. "Based on open industry standards across the IT
spectrum, the solution supports a framework to provide true
interoperability so customers can improve productivity, earn a rapid
return on investment and expand markets."

Enterprises using WebSphere Everyplace Connection Manager receive
the following benefits:

Network performance optimization - Data compression resulting in
up to two to three times faster response and lower data volumes over
the network, offering a better user experience and lowering network
costs.

High security - Strong end-to-end data encryption, including Data
Encryption Standard (DES), Triple DES, RC5, and Advanced Encryption
Standard, allowing a customer to extend applications to the mobile
user without compromising their security policies and data security.

Increased efficiency - Integrates data access so that applications
and data can be made available to mobile users, eliminating the need
for multiple solutions and gateways. WebSphere Everyplace Connection
Manager's administration tools are easy to use and allows
administrators to remotely manage and configure any number of
WebSphere Everyplace Connection Manager gateways from a central
location reducing management, administration and IT costs.

The Nextel Alliance with IBM is part of Nextel's Wireless Business
Solutions (WBS) platform that combines partnerships, applications,
services, tools and the support companies need to achieve high
performance by delivering real-time information to mobile decision
makers at any location, enabling quick response among workers in the
field and streamlining operations through faster exchange of
information.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 198
of the top 200 U.S. markets.

Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service
is available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240
million people live or work.

About IBM

IBM is the world's largest information technology company, with 80
years of leadership in helping businesses innovate. Drawing on
resources from across IBM and key business partners, IBM offers a wide
range of services, solutions and technologies that enable customers to
take full advantage of the on demand era. More information about IBM
can be found on the web at www.ibm.com.

Contact:

Nextel Communications Inc., Reston
Scott Sloat, 703/433-4931
[email-masked]

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

LendingTree - Let Banks Compete for You!

·

Order Phentermine, Viagra, Soma, Ambien. Free FedEx &
Gift!

·

Are Your Kids Buckled in Properly?

·

Wireless Video Surveillance

·

Are your house payments too high? Refinance

·

500 MB HOSTING + 15 Days FREE!!

·

FREE match to pre-screened HOME CONTRACTORS!

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Summer?

·

Get 30 commission-free trades at Ameritrade!

Related
Quote

NXTL

14.47

+0.30

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Nextel Communicates - Motley Fool (7:28 am)

·

UPDATE - Nextel sees solid future, stock climbs - Reuters (Tue May 20)

·

[external] BT pact lifts Nortel; phone stocks rise - at CBS MarketWatch (Tue May 20)

·

[external] Handful of Wireless Shares Rally - at TheStreet.com (Tue May 20)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computer hardware, Computers, Networking, Software, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Blue Chips Edge Up, Tech Stocks Slip - Reuters (4:28 pm)

·

Greenspan Says Fed to Watch Deflation - Reuters (6:12 pm)

·

Tobacco Stocks Up on Engle Case Reversal - Reuters (5:33 pm)

·

Canada Steps Up BSE Probe as World Shuns Its Beef - Reuters (6:46 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.