Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Charles Werner-Chair,IAFC Technology Advisory Group-On Motorola's technical Solution.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 17:47:50 -0400

FROM FIRE HOUSE.COM

CHARLES WERNER-Chair, IAFC Technology Advisory Group

"It appears that Motorola may have developed a new solution that can resolve the
interference issues that have arisen between public safety radio
systems and Nextel and other commercial wireless services."
====================================================

Updated: 05-09-2003 04:52:28 PM

Possible Solution To Wireless
Interference Made
............
CHARLES WERNER
Firehouse.com Contributor

May 6, 2003 - In a letter to the FCC referencing WT Docket No. 02-55,
Motorola has offered a technical solution to eliminate interference
caused by commercial wireless vendors. Motorola reported that they
have been actively working on potential technical solutions to the
problem.

The letter states, "Motorola believes that technical advances in receiver
design are commercially viable, will have limited impact on the cost of
portable public safety equipment and provide a real opportunity for
alleviating interference to public safety."

While Motorola acknowledges that it is still in the testing of this
technical solution that it does appear to be "promising" and plans to
deploy the receiver technology advancements by the end of 2003. This
announcement sent shockwaves through the public safety community.

Motorola's new solution involves the implementation of a switchable
attenuator "in a way that reduces interference in areas of sufficient
desired signal strength while ensuring that the attenuator does not
degrade the reliablility of public safety communications by activating
when the desired signal is too low."

Testing has been conducted in both the laboratory and in the field.
Motorola further states that increasing signal strength is another
essential element to the comprehensive solution to interference.

Motorola also states, "Because a technical solution can be focused on
areas where interference occurs or is likely, this approach avoids
widespread disruption to public safety operations."

While recognizing the serious need for a solution, Nextel worked with
public safety agencies developed a plan known as the "consensus
plan", which would reduce interference by rebanding and thereby
separating spectrum. Nextel had agreed to pay an estimated $850
million to help cover the public safety costs of the spectrum swap. There
were and still are many in the public safety community concerned that
the $850 million would not be enough to cover the full extent of
spectrum swap.

What does this mean to public safety agencies? It appears that
Motorola may have developed a new solution that can resolve the
interference issues that have arisen between public safety radio
systems and Nextel and other commercial wireless services. The
solution as described by Motorola, "can be made directly to the radio
receivers at a significantly lower cost than any of the other proposed
solutions." This does offer a very attractive and less disruptive solution
to many public safety agencies, especially those that are not
experiencing interference problems.

In a recent MSN Money Report, dated May 08, 2003 - The report stated,
"Motorola's submission yesterday to the FCC of an alternative to
Nextel's proposed spectrum swap will likely raise concerns about delays
in this action." This raises new questions related to the idea of the
spectrum swap proposal. A new discussion will have to take place
between the FCC, Nextel and all of the public safety agencies that have
been involved in the development of this plan.

For Motorola, this places a great deal of credibility on the line. If the
Motorola solution does not prove to be as effective as originally
thought, it may delay progress on the spectrum swap plan. Further
examination will be required to insure that the technical solution offered
by Motorola is viable and to determine if the solution alone will solve the
interference problem. On the other hand, if the solution is viable, it will
have a dramatic and positive effect on the public safety community. In
the interim, there is little doubt that this new and attractive proposal
will slow the forward momentum of the spectrum swap plan.

There is caution to putting all of the spectrum "eggs" in one basket.
While this technical solution may prove to effectively solve interference
issues on the portable receivers, it will not eliminate the problem of
spectrum limitations limiting many areas around the country. The
dilemma is whether or not to proceed (with or without delay) on a
parallel course. One very important aspect of the spectrum swap plan is
that it increases spectrum available for public safety to the tune of
approximately double the existing spectrum.

This also highlights the importance of the HERO Act and simultaneously
freeing up spectrum in the 700 MHz band for public safety which has
been reintroduced in Congress.

A comprehensive approach may be the best. First, continue on the path
to follow through with the spectrum swap plan. Second, aggressively
work toward testing and implementation of Motorola's technical
solution. Third, aggressively lobby Congress to pass the HERO Act to
dedicate new spectrum to public safety.

Charles Werner is Deputy Fire Chief for the Charlottesville, VA FD. He is
chair of the IAFC Technology Advisory Group.