Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Monday, May 12, 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:30:28 -0400

Could a Settlement be in the works for Ford's "Police Interceptor"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
C L A S S   A C T I O N   R E P O R T E R

Monday, May 12, 2003

GENERAL MOTORS: Paid $495M To Settle Suits Over Pick-up Trucks
--------------------------------------------------------------
General Motors Corporation paid at least $495 million to settle a string of
lawsuits related to a line of pickup trucks that
critics claim were prone to explosion, The Los Angeles Times reports.

Citing a court document a federal judge late on Tuesday, the newspaper said
GM paid an average of $1.6 million to settle each case.  The document, which
General Motors fought to keep sealed, refers to settlements reached before
late 2000.

A representative of General Motors could not be reached early on Wednesday,
and the document did not turn up in an online search of court records. The
newspaper said the document was released by US District Judge Donald Molloy
in Missoula, Montana.

The Los Angeles Times, however, quoted General Motors spokesman Jay Cooney
as saying the release of the document "set a dangerous precedent" because it
could encourage defendants to fight cases in court rather than settle claims
on product
liability.

General Motors made more than 9 million C/K pickup trucks, which had fuel
tanks mounted outside the truck's protective frame, the newspaper said.  The
vehicles were built from the 1973 through 1987 model years. (Reuters)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/