Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EFJohnson Signs Memorandum Of Understanding With SmartLink Radio Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:04:09 -0400

EFJohnson Signs Memorandum Of Understanding With SmartLink Radio Networks

Washington, DC – May 15, 2003-- EFJ, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI) today announced that
its EFJohnson subsidiary has signed a memorandum of understanding with SmartLink Radio
Networks, Inc. to explore the benefits of a strategic alliance. The MOU includes the
supply of EFJohnson radios to SmartLink and EFJohnson selling SmartLink’s interoperable
switch as an addition to its line of products for Homeland Security.

“This is the latest piece in our continued efforts to partner with third party companies
to improve offerings and opportunities within the public safety and public service
market,” said Michael Jalbert, EFJ, Inc. chairman and chief executive officer. “There are
numerous potential synergies between our companies and we are excited about the
possibilities.”

“SmartLink is pleased to have entered this stage of our relationship with EFJohnson,” said
Mark Hatten, chairman and chief executive officer of SmartLink. “The combined efforts of
our two companies can only serve to strengthen our commitment to and ability to serve the
needs of the Homeland Security community.”

Celebrating its 80th anniversary in 2003, the EFJohnson Company (EFJohnson) provides
digital Project 25-compliant interoperable wireless communications systems solutions for
federal, state and local agencies involved with homeland security and public safety.
EFJohnson was one of the first developers of wireless communications products to be fully
compliant with federal government interoperability specifications. The company designs,
manufactures and markets conventional and trunked radio systems, land mobile radio
repeaters and mobile and portable radios. EFJohnson, headquartered in Waseca, Minnesota,
is a wholly owned subsidiary of EFJ, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI). For more
information, visit www.efjohnson.com.

EFJ, Inc., (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI) is the holding company of industry-leading wireless
telecommunications equipment and solutions businesses. EFJ, Inc. is home to the EFJohnson
Company, one of the first developers of Project 25 mobile communications products
compliant with federal government interoperability standards, and Transcrypt
International, a world leader in secure voice communication solutions. 2003 marks the 80th
anniversary of EFJohnson and the 25th anniversary of Transcrypt International. Stable and
profitable, with headquarters in Washington, D.C., EFJ, Inc. has a proven leadership team
in place with decades of experience in telecommunications and government sales. EFJohnson
and Transcrypt International are wholly owned subsidiaries of EFJ, Inc. For more
information, visit www.efji.com.

SmartLink Radio Networks, Inc., a Connecticut corporation located in Wallingford, since
1991 has been supplying radio communication systems to industrial, commercial and
governmental entities worldwide. They provide radio systems technology that enables
real-time communications between disparate frequencies and protocols in both trunked and
conventional environments. SmartLink has an affordable, straightforward solution to
interoperability requirements that allows utilization of existing radios and
infrastructure. For more information, visit www.smrlink.com.

http://www.efjohnson.com/News/News_Detail.asp?ArticleID=153

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/