Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ITS Public Safety

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:43:36 -0400

http://www.itspublicsafety.net/wireless_action.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

HOME

STAKEHOLDER

INPUT

CONTACT

WIRELESS

ENHANCED

9-1-1

EMERGENCY

MEDICAL

SERVICES

FIRE
&

RESCUE

LAW

ENFORCEMENT

ARTICLES
&

CASE STUDIES

ABOUT

Priority
Action

Plan

DOT
Secretarial Initiative

Technical
Assistance Program

NY
State Partnership

Background

Technical
and Operational

Issues

511
and 9-1-1

9-1-1
Fast Facts

Wireless
E 9-1-1 Links

DOT Wireless

E
9-1-1 Steering Council Releases Priority Action Plan

May 2003—The U.S. Department
of Transportation’s (DOT’s) Wireless E 9-1-1
Steering Council has forwarded a Priority
Action Plan to Secretary of Transportation Norman Y.
Mineta. Secretary Mineta convened the Wireless E 9-1-1
Steering Council
in April 2002 to develop an action plan to accelerate compliance
with the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC’s)
wireless E 9-1-1 mandates. The Plan outlines the six
most
urgent priorities:

Establish support for statewide
coordination of wireless E 9-1-1 technology, and identify
points of contact within each state for each of the stakeholders;

Help to convene stakeholders
in appropriate 9-1-1 regions in order to facilitate more
comprehensive, coordinated implementation of wireless location
technologies;

Examine cost recovery/funding
issues at the state level;

Initiate a knowledge transfer
and outreach program to educate Public Safety Answering
Points (PSAPs), wireless carriers, and the public about
wireless location issues;

Develop a coordinated deployment
strategy encompassing both rural and urban areas; and

Implement a model location program.

The National Steering Council is
chaired by National Association of State 9-1-1 Administrators
(NASNA) President Evelyn Bailey and includes leaders of the
telecommunications, public safety, and highway safety communities.

"The telecommunications industry
has told us that the establishment of a single statewide point
of contact would be particularly beneficial,” Bailey
said, “because of the difficulties they face in dealing
with literally thousands of separate PSAPs. NASNA intends
to assist states in coordinating implementation on a statewide
basis.”

While many states have adopted
wireless E 9-1-1 implementation and cost recovery approaches
emphasizing a single statewide point of coordination and facilitation,
approaches to statewide coordination vary widely. Several
states have not yet adopted any implementation approach.

“Time is of the essence,”
Bailey said, “not only because the FCC’s 2005
deadline for deployment of wireless E 9-1-1 Phase II is looming,
but also because increasing consumer reliance on wireless
phones is an increasing problem for public safety when we
can’t locate the caller in an emergency. As a symbol
of our commitment, the members of the Steering Council have
signed a letter of
intent binding ourselves to the actions outlined in the
Plan, to taking the lead within our communities, and to delivering
the results that Secretary Mineta asked us to deliver.”

In addition to NASNA, the Steering
Council includes representatives of the Alliance for Telecommunications
Industry Solutions/Emergency Services Interconnection Forum
(ATIS/ESIF); the American Heart Association (AHA) Office of
Public Advocacy; the American Association of State Highway
and Transportation Officials (AASHTO); the Association of
Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO); the Cellular
Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA); Inrado,
Inc.; the Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS
America); the Integrated Justice Information Systems Industry
Working Group; the International Association of Chiefs of
Police (IACP); the National Association of EMS Physicians,
the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC); the National
Association of Regulatory and Utility Commissioners (NARUC);
the National Association of State EMS Directors (NASMESD);
the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL); the
National Emergency Number Association (NENA); the National
Governors' Association (NGA); the U.S. Department of Transportation
(DOT); the Federal Communications Commission (FCC); Qualcomm;
and the United States Telecommunications Association (USTA).

Letter
to Secretary Mineta

Letter
of Intent

Priority
Action Plan

Summary
of Action Plan with Timeline

When
someone makes a call to 9-1-1, they expect to get help right
away. We cannot, and will not, accept a system where these
callers cannot be located..." Norman Y. Mineta, Secretary
of Transportation.

Full Text of Mineta
Speech

New
York State Wireless Enhanced 9-1-1 Implementation Guide

HTML,
PDF
1.74MB

New
York State Wireless Enhanced 9-1-1  Implementation Guide

HTML,
PDF
1.74MB

Intelligent
Transportation Systems Joint Program Office (HOIT)

U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, DC 20590, Toll-Free 866.367.7487

Privacy
& Disclaimer

ITS
Public Safety Home

Intelligent
Transportation Systems Home

Federal
Highway Administration Home

US
Department of Transportation Home