Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Contacts at NXTL

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:50:49 -0400

Hello everyone -

I received an offline request from a friend for help in regards to
contacting the right person at Nextel corporate.  This person and several
others were RIFed 3 weeks ago by the company.  In order for these people to
register for unemployment benefits, they need to receive documentation
showing the separation of employment and a specific date of termination of
employment.  These people have not received any documentation as of yet, and
need to apply.  No one seems to be able to assist them from their former
regional office.  Who should they contact, and how quickly can the company
help these people?  Some are even willing to work for Nextel in other
locations on the East Coast, and yet having to struggle through the RIF
problems.  I will forward any answers to these folks as they come to me.
Thanks in advance on their behalf. 

Todd R. Ellis

Operations Manager, Telecommunications Division

Booth & Associates, Inc.

A Utility Services Associates Company

1011 Schaub Drive

Raleigh, North Carolina 27606

Telephone: (919) 851-8770

Fax: (919) 859-5918

Cell: (919) 418-3358

Pager: (877) 205-9320

Pager Mail: [email-masked]

http://www.booth-assoc.com

Telecommunications, Substations and Relaying,

Transmission and Distribution, Financial Services,

System Planning, GIS/Mapping and Field Services