Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Scanning for Nextel private talk

From: "David Singleton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 22:21:31 -0000

I heard a rumor that there was a new radio shack scanner, that will 
receive the frequencies used for nextel private talk, is this true?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:25:52 -0700

>receive the frequencies used for nextel private talk, is this true?

Sure. There's already scanners that can receive Nextels frequencies.

But that doesn't mean you can hear anything. Heck, there's scanners that 
can receive the frequencies that are used for comms from Air Force 1 to the 
White House.

But you won't hear anything on them. :)

Evan

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:34:44 -0400

I have listened to radio and telephone traffic from Air Force One for years,
with my ICOM shortwave receiver.

Rik Rasmussen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Evan Platt [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 6:26 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Scanning for Nextel private talk
>
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:41:15 -0700

>with my ICOM shortwave receiver.

My bad. If they don't want you to hear it, you won't hear it. :)

Evan

---

From: David Singleton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:11:51 -0700

you will not hear anything because........?????
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Evan Platt 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 3:25 PM
  Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Scanning for Nextel private talk

  Evan 

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
             
                Select MakeAcuraAudiBMWCadillacChevroletChryslerDodgeFordGMCHondaInfinitiJaguarJeepLexusLincolnMazdaMercedes-BenzMitsubishiNissanPontiacPorscheToyotaVolkswagenVolvoOther 

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "Steve S. Bosshard \(NU5D\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:14:01 -0500

Heard AF1 call Gray Approach for landing on 118.0 - operator sounded a little nervous - Robert Gray Army Air Field is abt 25 miles from Temple and it is easy to hear both sides of the conversation.  Robert Gray is where Fort Hood Texas fixed wing craft operate, and now a joint use with the City of Killeen, Texas.

ssb

ps Icom R7100 - got yr IC-7800 on order yet?

  Rik Rasmussen

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 08:16:14 -0700

>you will not hear anything because........?????

It's digital.

Evan

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:16:30 -0400

I have seen a iden portable with a laptop cable hooked to it & the operator would see active customers in some type of code on his display operating on a site or cell. He then entered something like a ESN & other codes into his laptop  & we were able to listen to a conversation through the laptop speakers. He is a X ^^otorola iden employee who is a active ham. 

    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Evan Platt 
    To: [email-masked] 
    Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 3:25 PM
    Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Scanning for Nextel private talk

    Evan 

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
              ADVERTISEMENT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:57:41 -0400

David,

I highly doubt  Radio Shack will sell such a device for the consumer market.
Several companies sell receivers/ service monitors that allow you to
"receive" iDEN.

There are only 2 companies (that I know of) that produce equipment that allow
you to actually "Demodulate" (listen) to iDEN signal TSS & Motorola without
the use of a subscriber unit.

There are other units that depend on subscriber units to demodulate the
signal but they are limited. The TSS unit requires more infomation than the
Motorola unit however it is designed for vehicle operation. The last demo I
saw was 2yrs ago and they were working on a smaller version. The TSS unit was
designed for the CALEA people and the Moto  people use their unit for R&D.

---

From: Dave Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 01:13:57 -0400

> But you won't hear anything on them. :)

	There is a distinction.   Nextel and most (but not completely
all) of the AF-1 to WH links are DIGITAL in formats for which there is
no decoding equipment available to the general public (nor will there
ever be) that enables monitoring.   Thus a radio that tunes the
frequencies involved will not decode the traffic and likely just produce
an open squelch or data throb or buzz sound on any of the frequencies
involved.  But in both the AF-1 and the Nextel case, the frequencies
used can be tuned by at least many advanced scanners and the signals
detected but not decoded into anything useful.

	But - and this is an important but - no current Nextel traffic is
encrypted at all (excepting some data) and with the right equipment
and software it is theoretically possible to listen in if you are
close enough to see the signals.   Software and equipment to do this
for Nextel is available to professionals (for big $$$$$).  It will
never be available to the public because of the ECPA.

	Many of the digital AF-1 circuits are Fascinator or STU III or
KY-58 (Vinson) type I encrypted and almost certainly unbreakable without
the appropriate keys and COMSEC material - even by our most determined
adversaries and "friends".   Some others are just digital in the clear
like Nextel. Many travel via various satellites.

-- 
	Dave Emery N1PRE,  [email-masked]  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
PGP fingerprint 1024D/8074C7AB 094B E58B 4F74 00C2 D8A6 B987 FB7D F8BA 8074 C7AB

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->