Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Furthers Commitment to Public Safety Sector with Introduction of Intrinsically Safe, Rugged Handset

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:45:51 -0400

I guess it is time for Timmy to pump up the stock again.

Nextel is late to market again the r750+FM was released by SouthernLinc some time ago.

http://www.southernlinc.com/r750.asp  (FM-intrinsically safe)

The odd thing it is missing from Moto's website ...could it be phased out in the USA
already?

A Engineer with Bellsouth in South America said they just started selling it recently.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030520/205140_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Nextel Furthers Commitment to Public Safety Sector with Introduction of Intrinsically Safe, Rugged Handset
Tuesday May 20, 10:00 am ET

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 20, 2003--Nextel Communications,
Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today announced the availability of an
intrinsically safe rugged handset, Motorola's r750plus FM Advanced
Feature Unit (AFU), designed to support the needs of Nextel customers
who require a rugged wireless handset that can withstand physically
demanding and hazardous environments, as well as provide multiple
communication services in a single device.

The r750plus FM AFU adheres to Military Standards 810 C/D/E for
resistance to dust, shock, vibration and rain, which makes it an ideal
choice for customers working in hazardous environments.

Comparable to Nextel's r750plus AFU, released in February 2003,
the FM unit also offers Emergency Group Connect initiation by using
the easy to find red button on top of the phone which provides
priority connect to Nextel network resources during times of heavy
congestion.

"Public safety and law enforcement professionals have long been at
the core of Nextel's customer base, and the r750plus phone models have
been instrumental in ensuring that Nextel continues to meet their
critical communication needs," said Leon Frazier, Nextel vice
president, public sector, enterprise markets. "The r750plus FM AFU
provides all of the instant, reliable, person-to-person communications
at the touch of a button, with the added enhancement of being
intrinsically safe."

The r750plus FM AFU also incorporates a wide variety of standard
Nextel capabilities including: Nextel Direct Connect, Digital
Cellular, Wireless Web, text and numeric messaging, VibraCall®
Alert, an integrated speakerphone, and predictive text entry. Remote
microphones with built-in push-to-talk capability designed
specifically for the r750plus FM AFU are also available.

Nextel's state-of-the-art push-to-talk technology currently allows
public safety officials to take their Direct Connect(TM) service with
them when they travel, giving them the ability to use the long-range
digital walkie-talkie feature in the areas to which they have
traveled.

Nationwide Direct Connect service will be available in the third
quarter of 2003, further extending public safety's reach and ability
to communicate in times of need.

Emergency Group Connect

This feature, which can only be initiated using the r750plus
handsets, allows users to have one-touch access to talkgroup members
by pressing the easy-to-find red button located at the top of the
handset. Once pressed, a unique tone will sound and "EMERGENCY" will
flash in the display of other r750plus users during the Emergency
Group Connect.

Talkgroup members using other Nextel handsets are capable of
receiving Emergency Group Connect and retain priority treatment for
the duration of the call.

The r750plus FM AFU provides standby times of 80 hours and talk
times of up to 312 minutes. The regular retail price of the phone is
$549.99 with promotional pricing at $449.99 with a 1-year promotional
agreement. The r750plus FM AFU is available nationwide through Nextel
direct sales representatives and indirect sales representatives, on
the web at www.nextel.com or by calling 1-800-NEXTEL9.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 198
of the top 200 U.S. markets.

Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service
is available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240
million people live or work.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc.
Media: Richard Pesce, 703/433-4927
Investors: Paul Blalock, 703/433-4300

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Summer?

·

#1 site for Credit: www.eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

Buying a home? Get approved for a loan first

·

Get a fresh start with ClearCredit

·

Get 30 commission-free trades at Ameritrade!

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Term Life Insurance - save up to 70% at Intelliquote.com

·

Most Dangerous Intersections in the U.S..

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

Related
Quote

NXTL

13.97

+0.32

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS INC FILES (8-K) Disclosing Financial Statements & Exhibits and Regulation FD Disclosure - EDGAR Online (8:06 am)

·

Nextel CEO to Provide Update at Lehman Brothers Global Wireless Conference - Business Wire (Mon May 19)

·

Nextel Commun Cut Bad Debt To $56 Mln From $93M In 1Q - Dow Jones Business News (Fri May 16)

·

[external] Equities rise; Tellabs; Level 3 shine - at CBS MarketWatch (Thu May 15)

More...

·

By
industry:
Aerospace/defense, Computer hardware, Computers, Government, Telecom

Top Stories

·

BOJ Buying Fear Leaves Dollar Lower - Reuters (9:54 am)

·

Stocks Rise at Open After Monday's Drop - Reuters (9:38 am)

·

Home Depot Profit Rises Amid New Products - Reuters (8:33 am)

·

A Tough Quarter for Department Stores - Reuters (9:23 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.