Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Networks switching to packet based architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 03:21:51 -0400

Networks switching to packet based architecture

In a survey of global wireline and wireless carriers, the Yankee Group found that almost
all were dedicated to
implementing packet-based architectures in their networks. The study was commissioned by
the International
Packet Communications Consortium (IPCC) to gain a better understanding of the acceptance
and implementation of
packet-based network architectures around the world. The Yankee Group surveyed 81 wireless
and wireline carriers
to determine the rate of next-gen network deployment and the amount of capital
expenditures they are dedicating to
packet-based technologies.

The study found that 73% of wireline service providers and 31% of wireless operators
surveyed had implemented or
were testing packet telephony in their networks. The highest percentages of carriers who
had either deployed or
were testing packet telephony solutions were in Eastern and Western Europe, with 80% and
92% respectively.
Other regions also view packet-based architectures as a necessary element of future
networks. Asia and Latin
America placed the highest importance on migrating to a packet-based architecture over the
next 12 to 24 months,
findings that were consistent between both wireline and wireless carriers.

"Our research indicates that the deployment of packet-based architectures in all types of
service provider networks
around the world has begun in earnest and will continue in an irreversible trend," said
Christin Flynn, Director,
Communications Network Infrastructure, Yankee Group.

The study, which was facilitated by the IPCC's Marketing Working Group, surveyed non-U.S.
wireline carriers and all
major wireless providers in the U.S. and overseas. The IPCC had previously sponsored a
study on U.S.-based
wireline service providers.

"The expansion of our research to highlight global wireline and wireless operators
reflects our interest in increasing
the participation of these service providers in the activities of the IPCC," said Michael
Khalilian, Chairman and
President of the IPCC. "This research will help ensure that our work going forward more
fully reflects the goals and
concerns of all types of service providers, operators and carriers around the world."

In addition to detailed questions about deployment and migration plans, the Yankee Group
asked these service
providers about such topics as, cost savings expectations, protocol issues, preferences
for single versus
multi-vendor solutions, participation in standards bodies, and target markets.

"Capital expenditure reduction was the chief criterion for selecting a packet-based
architecture vendor according to
wireline providers, whereas wireless carriers valued feature compatibility and reliability
most," said Berge Ayvazian,
Senior Research Fellow, Yankee Group.

Posted to the site on 14-May-0

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/