Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Vic police communications system delayed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:47:40 -0400

New Vic police communications system delayed

May 19 2003

Lengthy delays in signing a contract for a new communications system for police was
putting the project at risk, Victoria's state opposition said yesterday.

Opposition police spokesman Kim Wells said the state government has botched a
multi-million dollar contract for a new communication system for Victoria Police which
would see mobile data terminals installed inside police cars.

Mr Wells said that the preferred tenderer for the project, Motorola, had threatened to
withdraw because of continuing delays.

"On December 2001, it was announced contracts would be signed in February 2002, now 15
months later still there has been no contracts signed," he said.

"The opposition knows, and we've been told, that the one remaining tender(er) has written
to the government and threatened to withdraw from the deal due to unacceptable delays."

The plan includes the installation of computer terminals in every police car to provide
automated dispatch as well as providing police with offenders' records, driver details and
registration information and intelligence data.

Mr Wells also said the delay would render the system out-of-date.

But a spokesman for the state government hit back at the claims saying they were
incorrect.

"Both Motorola and the state government have said negotiations are proceeding well," the
spokesman said.

"Motorola has confirmed they are not walking away from the project, which is one of the
best information systems for police."

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/19/1053196506384.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/