Subject: [mobile-ip] mobile authentication inconsistencies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:29:17 -0500

Hi everyone,

Following the discussions in this thread, regarding authentication
clarifications, I'm trying my hand at suggesting a few modifications.. Let
me know what you think,

ali

--------- RFC3012bis-04, section 3.2, bottom of page 6 ---------

"The Foreign Agent MUST NOT remove the MN-AAA Authentication Extension from
the Registration Request prior to the completion of the authentication
performed by the AAA infrastructure."

replace this sentence with:

"The Foreign Agent MUST NOT remove the MN-AAA Authentication Extension and
the FA-Challenge extension from the Registration Request when forwarding
the message to the Home Agent."

"Unless explicitly instructed by the AAA infrastructure to remove the
MN-AAA Authentication Extension and the FA-Challenge extension, the Foreign
Agent MUST NOT remove these extensions from the Registration Request when
forwarding the message to the Home Agent."

--------- RFC3012bis-04, section 6 ---------

Insert section 6.1:

6.1 Co-Located Mobile Node Processing

When the mobile is registering in co-located mode, depending on local
policy, it may randomly choose a challenge value, and compute the MN-AAA
authenticator. A mobile which does so, MUST include the challenge value it
chose in the FA-Challenge extension field and the MN-AAA authenticator it
calculated in the MN-AAA Authentication extension field of the mobile-ip
registration request it generates.

--------- RFC 3344, section 3.7.2.2, 11th line after the header ---------

" - It MUST process and remove any extensions following the Mobile-Home
Authentication Extension".

Replace this sentence with:

" - It MUST remove any extensions following the Mobile-Home Authentication
Extension, unless the specification for that extension explicitly states
otherwise".