Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Recently Approved IEEE 802.15.4 Standard for ZigBee Applications Will be Showcased at

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:43:35 -0400

Motorola First to Demonstrate ZigBee 2.4 GHz Wireless Networking
Technology
Recently Approved IEEE 802.15.4 Standard for ZigBee Applications
Will be Showcased at

Alliance Open House in Germany

AUSTIN, Texas -- May 27, 2003 -- Motorola Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is now
delivering hardware and software samples to several development
partners in support of the draft IEEE (Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers) 802.15.4 Standard being driven by the ZigBee
Alliance -- an association of companies working together to enable
reliable, cost-effective, low-power, wirelessly networked,
monitoring and control products based on an open global standard.
The hardware and software will be demonstrated at the upcoming
ZigBee Alliance European Open House on June 3 in Berlin, Germany.

Engineering samples of the comprehensive, Standard-compliant
Motorola solution are expected to be available in November*.
The IEEE 802.15.4 Standard fills a void in the wireless networking
spectrum by empowering designers to create products with low cost,
very low power and highly flexible wireless networking capabilities.
Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector (SPS) has Promoter status
within the ZigBee Alliance and Driving Member status in the IEEE
802.15.4 Task Group.
Thousands of applications for products incorporating ZigBee
technology will soon exist in both the enterprise and home markets.
ZigBee-enabled products are engineered to allow businesses to
automate, control, and wirelessly connect their enterprise systems.
This technology provides an opportunity for a high return on
investment for the business user by enabling energy management,
predictive maintenance, logistics management, and automation and
control, all at a significantly lower cost than wired networks.

Consumers should benefit from ZigBee technology through the
interoperability of everyday devices, for the ultimate in wireless
freedom, ease of use, and a high level of security.  ZigBee-enabled
products in the home are expected to provide consumers with
simplified ways of interfacing with household appliances, toys and
game stations, PCs and peripherals -- as well as home systems for
security, lighting, and air conditioning.

“The ZigBee protocol addresses the needs of businesses and consumers
requiring a low power, highly configurable network standard,” said
Behrooz Abdi, vice president and general manager of Motorola’s Radio
Products Division. “Motorola sees an enormous potential for this
technology, and has been developing the silicon, hardware and
software to help fuel the market for 802.15.4.  We are excited and
eager to fulfill the vision of a networked future.”

The IEEE 802.15.4 Standard details the Physical Layer (PHY) and
Medium Access Control (MAC) specifications, and offers the building
blocks for different types of networking known as “star, mesh, and
cluster tree.” Network routing schemes are designed to ensure power
conservation, and low latency through guaranteed time slots.
Communication redundancy is a unique feature of the ZigBee network
layer, eliminating “single point of failure” in mesh networks.  Key
features of the PHY include energy and link-quality detection, and
clear channel assessment for improved coexistence with other
wireless networks. The MAC specifies automatic packet
acknowledgement, provides options for transmission in a range of
pre-selected time intervals, and supports 128-bit AES security. The
MAC and ZigBee application software is implemented in code-efficient
RAM/ROM devices.

Motorola’s comprehensive MAC/PHY 802.15.4 solution is designed to
support the global 2.4 GHz band at data rates of up to 250 kbps over
air. The PHY is enabled with a (radio frequency) RF transceiver data
modem. Motorola designers have incorporated a number of features to
allow flexibility for engineers incorporating ZigBee into their
products. An on-chip power management circuit can manage power
sources from 2.0 to 3.6V. The transceiver integrates a power
amplifier, a low noise amplifier (LNA) with filtering, and is
engineered to support multiple power-down states.  A standard serial
peripheral interface can connect with the host controller to send
and receive digitized data packets. MAC code is offered for use with
an extensive family of Motorola microcontrollers. A customer can
often add 802.15.4 wireless networking to existing applications
simply by adding the RF modem and porting the MAC code to embedded
controllers within their system.

About the ZigBee Alliance

ZigBee Technology: Wireless control that simply works. The ZigBee
Alliance is a rapidly growing, non-profit industry consortium of
leading semiconductor manufacturers, technology providers, OEMs, and
end-users worldwide. Membership is open to all through the ZigBee
Alliance web site.  For information and free registration for the
ZigBee Open House event, please visit the ZigBee Alliance web site
at www.zigbee.org.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2743_2228_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/