Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel faces Pennsylvania lawsuit regarding fees

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:25:52 -0400

Nextel faces Pennsylvania lawsuit regarding fees
May 07 10:56:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—A Pennsylvania customer of Nextel Communications Inc. has filed a lawsuit in
the Pennsylvania Court of
Common Pleas against the mobile-phone carrier because Seth Lamb is mad about extra charges
that appear on his bill
for universal service, the telecommunications relay service and $1.55 for “federal
programs cost recovery.”

These charges “were not referred to by Nextel at the time of purchase of Nextel service
plans and are imposed
unilaterally by Nextel at its discretion,” said Lamb.

One of Lamb’s attorneys called it an outrage. “These companies advertise fixed prices for
bundles of minutes then add
charges that appear to be taxes to unsuspecting customers,” said Anthony J. Bolognese.

Nextel’s spokeswoman, Leigh Horner, said that as of Tuesday, Nextel had not been served
with the lawsuit and could
not comment.

Lamb’s other attorney, Richard Greenfield, told RCR Wireless News that Sprint PCS is next.
“We have been approached
by a Sprint customer,” said Greenfield.

On another related lawsuit, a scheduling conference is scheduled for Monday in the lawsuit
the state of Missouri has
filed against Nextel and Sprint PCS. The conference is expected to schedule a trial date
for the lawsuit, which also deals
with how charges are reflected on bills.

Finally, the state of Louisiana has joined in a rounding-up lawsuit against Cingular
Wireless L.L.C. “Defendants fail to
adequately disclose and explain to customers the fact that they are charging customers for
‘dead time’ or
non-communication time. ‘Dead time’ includes the time after a call has ended due to signal
failure or time after a called
party had terminated the call, but before the wireless subscriber pushes the ‘end button’
on their mobile unit,” reads the
complaint filed in federal court in Louisiana.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=8459

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/