Subject: [NEXTEL-1] First-in-the-nation “hot building”

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 17:45:08 -0400

First-in-the-nation “hot building”

The America Plaza office building in San Diego is now offering its tenants and visitors
free wireless Internet access. SENTRE Partners, which owns the building, believes
their approach (they call it “hot building”) will give them a competitive edge over the
competition. 802.11 covers the building’s 34 floors and four underground levels. The
network will also support security cameras and voice-over Internet protocol systems.
It took two months to complete the project -- for which SENTRE received consulting
from Intel, Corning, and Cisco Systems -- at a cost of about $300,000: $130,000
for switches; $110,000 for fiber-optic cabling, pull boxes, and patch panels; $40,000
for installation; and $20,000 for wireless APs.

www.80211report.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:16:02 -0400

Actually there are quite a few property owners that are making significant investments to
provide their tenants with "In-building" wireless services for 802.11, PCS, Cellular and
other wireless services. (Even the FCC is paying their landlord at the "Portals"
for  "In-Building" wireless equipment they installed).

Mall owners are now being approached by wireless carriers and solution providers to
install BDA's (Bi-directional Amplifiers) and Microcellls for various wireless services,
including 802.11.

This trend will become the "Norm" very shortly.  I have seen a few business plans the have
a relatively quick ROI. Owners are building these costs into tenant leases off setting
their initial investments.

Owners should use caution when making unlicensed technology selection since it is
currently a moving target. Equipment should be software upgradable to keep pace with
emerging standards. I see a software definable 802.11xx network devices in the very near
future.  2 & 5Ghz dual band devices will become more common as 2 Ghz is "Saturated" with
spectrum pollution.

Jon Baer wrote:

> It sure would be interesting to hear what the project costs would have been
> with say a few Vivatos, Powerline, 3rd party options ... 300k is alot of
> dough for 34 floors ...
>
> - Jon
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Marcel" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 2:45 PM
> Subject: [nycwireless] First-in-the-nation"hot building"
>
> > First-in-the-nation "hot building"
> >
> > their approach (they call it "hot building") will give them a competitive
> edge over the
> > competition. 802.11 covers the building's 34 floors and four underground
> levels. The