Subject: [NEXTEL-1] QUALCOMM Demonstrates High-Speed Call Set-up With QChat(TM) Push-to-Talk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:36:40 -0400

QUALCOMM Demonstrates High-Speed Call Set-up With QChat(TM) Push-to-Talk

Technology

- QUALCOMM's QChat Provides Reliable Solution With
Less Than Two Second Initial Call Set-up -

SAN DIEGO, May 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
QUALCOMM Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code
Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today
announced
that the Company has successfully demonstrated push-to-talk (PTT)
initial call
set-up performance of less than two seconds over CDMA2000 infrastructure
and
handsets between dormant mobiles, with its QChat technology.  QUALCOMM's
QChat
solution uses voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) technologies to enable

ubiquitous, efficient and virtually instantaneous PTT functionality on
wireless devices based on CDMA2000 and other CDMA 3G networks.  Compared
to
other server-based solutions, QChat performs extremely fast call set-ups
while
minimizing use of the operator's radio resources.  Many competitive PTT
solutions trade radio spectrum assets for call set-up performance.
QChat is an end-to-end solution for the delivery of PTT-related services

and includes client software for wireless devices and a sophisticated
distributed server platform that provides scalable, highly available and

reliable services.
The QChat client is deployed as an application on QUALCOMM's Binary
Runtime Environment for Wireless(TM) (BREW(TM)) platform and is the only
PTT
functionality that offers dynamic, over-the-air upgrades of handset
software,
management of group membership by subscribers and ad hoc creation of
chat
groups.
The highly scalable QChat Application Server (QAS) enables a wireless
operator to efficiently deliver millions of PTT calls over a large
geographical area.  The QAS can be deployed in a distributed fashion,
taking advantage of regional dispatch calling patterns, while
maintaining
carrier-grade reliability and manageability.
"Wireless operators require a solution to address the challenges of
delivering a profitable push-to-talk service," said Dr. Paul E. Jacobs,
group
president, QUALCOMM Wireless & Internet Group.  "With a strong systems
approach, QChat will provide that level of performance and a rich set of

functionality for operator's push-to-talk customers."
QUALCOMM is continuing discussions with CDMA operators outside the
United
States regarding QChat and to date has signed memoranda of understanding

(MOUs) with two operators.  QUALCOMM expects to announce commercial
trials and
demonstrations of QChat in the second half of this year.

QUALCOMM Incorporated ( http://www.qualcomm.com ) is a leader in
developing and
delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and
services
based on the Company's CDMA digital technology.  Headquartered in San
Diego,
Calif., QUALCOMM is included in the S&P 500 Index and traded on The
Nasdaq
Stock Market(R) under the ticker symbol QCOM.

Except for the historical information contained herein, this news
release
contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and
uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design
and have
manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and
profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed and the
BREW
solution is adopted, change in economic conditions of the various
markets the
Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in
the
Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year
ended
September 30, 2002, and most recent Form 10-Q.

QUALCOMM is a registered trademark of QUALCOMM Incorporated.  BREW is a
trademark of QUALCOMM Incorporated.  All other trademarks are the
property of
their respective owners.

For further information please contact:  Michele Bakic, Internet
Services,
+1-858-651-4017, or fax, +1-858-845-1254, [email-masked] , or Emily
Gin,
Corporate Public Relations, +1-858-651-4084, or fax, +1-858-651-5873,
[email-masked] , or Julie Cunningham, Investor Relations,
+1-858-658-4224, or fax, +1-858-651-9303, [email-masked] , all
of
QUALCOMM Incorporated.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-22-2003/0001952029&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/