Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Spectrum relocation sweeps through House

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:03:21 -0400

Spectrum relocation sweeps through House

by Jeffrey Silva
June 11, 2003

WASHINGTON

The House today overwhelmingly passed spectrum relocation legislation, a major
boost for industry efforts to secure military frequencies for third-generation
wireless systems.

“This is a big win for consumers and for government spectrum users. The
legislation ensures that sufficient airwaves will be available to support millions
of wireless users, who are increasing their use of wireless voice and adopting
wireless data at record speed. It also offers government incumbents, especially
the Department of Defense, the whole package—sufficient funding for relocation and
a clear plan for a smooth transition into alternative bands of spectrum,” said
Steven Berry, senior vice president of government affairs for the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association.

Bipartisan companion legislation has been introduced in the Senate. Sponsors
include Commerce Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), Sen. Byron Dorgan
(D-N.D.) and communications subcommittee Chairman Conrad Burns (R-Mont.). 

"Vitally needed spectrum is one step closer to being available for consumers as a
result of this vote in the House of Representatives," said Assistant Commerce
Secretary Nancy J. Victory. "I am pleased by the progress of this legislation, and
I look forward to working with the Senate on this critical tool that will
streamline and simplify the relocation process and thus speed the availability of
new spectrum for advanced wireless services."

Victory heads the National Telecommunications and Information Administration.

“This bill helps to make more spectrum available for commercial use, which greatly
facilitates the introduction of innovative wireless product offerings,” said
Matthew Flanigan, president of the Telecommunications Industry Association. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13865

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/