Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re:Linking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:04:26 -0400

------- Original Message --------
   From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  Linking

In a message dated 6/14/2003 6:42:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked]
writes:

> >Summary:  I don';t know of an effective way to link sites without a
> >switch.  I go to IWCE every year looking for this grail of
> affordable
> >LTR linking.  Maybe one day I'll find it.  And maybe she will be
> >beautiful, blind and own a liqour store.

You've hit on one of the primary reasons that the industry is in a not so great
state.  Often, customers don't actually need to access multiple sites (depending
on the part of the country) but they THINK that they do, and that image sells.
So, you're stuck with implementing expensive networking that few of your customers
actually need.

A number of our clients as implementing Passport, but others don't believe that
it's affordable enough for them.  So, some are also looking at combining networks
with some of their "friendly" competitors, in order to make for a larger network
and reduced implementation costs.  And some of our other clients are working with
ARINC (or others) and looking at implementing private iDEN networks at 800 or 900.

I would encourage the continued growth of these types of consortium amongst
operators.  It reduces overall networking costs, and often gives the ability to
offer advanced feature sets affordably, and makes the system more attractive to
larger fleets, which is where the potential customer base still remains for the
land mobile industry.

Alan T.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/