Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IBM to Provide Wi-Fi Access to B&G Clubs of America

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:11:54 -0400

IBM to Provide Wi-Fi Access to B&G Clubs of America

In a recent deal between software giant, IBM, and the Boys and Girls Clubs (B&G)
of America, IBM is set to offer nearly 600 WLAN's to the nationwide-based
organization. Additionally, IBM plans to equip B&G with 6,400 laptop computers
containing wireless access cards.
Girls and Boys (and their Toys)
============================================================================================================
IBM strikes wireless deal with B&G Clubs of America

IBM will provide some 600 wireless LANs in Boys and Girls
Clubs of America facilities across the US, as well as 6,400
IBM PCs equipped with wireless cards. Because many of
these centers don't have tech support staff on hand, the
PC's will come loaded with easy to operate drive imaging software,
allowing Club employees to roll back a "clean" desktop image 
with minimal headaches. While many organizations (IBM included)
donate technology to the Boys and Girls Club of America, 
this InfoWorld article makes it clear that this is a paid contract.

Posted 06-23 16:56

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/29580

=============================================================================================================

IBM puts Wi-Fi in Boys and Girls Clubs
Networks will work with clubs' desktop computers

By Joris Evers, IDG News Service June 18, 2003

SAN FRANCISCO - IBM is installing wireless LANs in more than 600 Boys and Girls
Clubs of America facilities across the U.S., one of its largest deployments of the
802.11b wireless networking technology so far, IBM said Wednesday. Instead of
stringing wires in the clubhouses, many of which only had one computer for
Internet access or none at all, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America decided to go
wireless, said Pal Normark, client manager at IBM.

"To hardwire a lot of these facilities would be a tremendous cost, so the wireless
capability fit their need nicely," he said.

IBM, of Armonk, New York, is using Linksys Group gear at the clubs. Linksys was
recently acquired by networking giant Cisco Systems. The wireless networks are
connected to a high-speed Internet connection.

The setup may be atypical, because the clubs are using desktop computers on the
wireless network instead of laptops. The IBM contract also includes the delivery
of 6,400 IBM desktop PCs with wireless cards, IBM said.
The PCs come with a custom software image installed, and are configured for the
wireless network and for the 

Hewlett-Packard printers that the Boys and Girls Clubs of America also ordered,
Normark said. Part of the software bundle is an easy restore feature that can
restore a PC to its last saved state in about 20 minutes.
"These Boys and Girl centers typically don't have IT experts on hand," Normark
said, explaining the need for simple troubleshooting options.

With headquarters in Atlanta, Boys and Girls Clubs of America has about 3,300
facilities across the U.S. and runs programs for kids aged between 6 and 18 years,
according to the Clubs' Web site. The organization receives many gifts from large
technology companies, including Microsoft and Intel. However, the agreement with
IBM was not a donation, IBM said.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/18/HNboysgirls_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/