Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA joins coalition against Nextel's "Scam Plan"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:26:04 -0400

CTIA joins coalition against Nextel in 800 MHz band
By Heather Forsgren Weaver 
June 05 12:52:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The board of directors of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association on Wednesday voted to join a coalition that supports technical
solutions to solving the public-safety interference problem in the 800 MHz band. 

“The board voted to support the coalition filing on Wednesday. How and when that
will manifest itself has yet to be determined,” said CTIA spokesman Travis Larson. 

CTIA was noticeably absent from a filing made late last month that advocated a
technical solution to the public-safety interference problem. 

Apparently, Tim Donahue, president and chief executive officer of Nextel
Communications Inc., called for a vote on the coalition proposal. Donahue gave up
the gavel as chairman of the CTIA board at Wednesday’s meeting. 

Nextel supports a plan that would split the 800 MHz band into two parts—one for
cellularized systems and one for non-cellularized systems. The most controversial
aspect of the plan is that Nextel would receive 10 megahertz of spectrum in the
1.9 GHz band (1910-1915/1990-1995 MHz). 

The coalition proposal, which industry sources said was being led by CTIA, urged
the Federal Communications Commission to rely on best practices to solve the
interference problems where they occur. 

The coalition proposal is also supported by the United Telecom Council, which
represents utility communication systems. 

Also, the Private Wireless Coalition, which along with Nextel is supporting a
rebanding plan for the 800 MHz band, released a statement on Wednesday saying that
a technical solution should be seen as a complement, not a replacement for its
plan. 

“The PWC has endorsed the consensus plan because it offers a technical answer, a
funding mechanism and a detailed implementation roadmap that will permit the [FCC]
to reach its objectives,” said the PWC. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13763
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/