Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Southern Linc Now Offers Roaming in Over 90 Cities Across the U.S.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:37:04 -0400

Press Release
Source: SOUTHERN LINC

Southern Linc Now Offers Roaming in Over 90 Cities Across the U.S.
Monday June 2, 10:30 am ET

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 2, 2003--Southern LINC®, the wireless
communications service from Southern Company (NYSE: SO - News), announced today
that it has expanded the service area where customers can use cellular phone,
voice
mail and 1-way text messaging service by offering roaming in over 90 cities
outside of
the Southern LINC footprint.

Southern LINC's 127,000-square-mile coverage area includes Georgia, Alabama,
southeast Mississippi and northwest Florida. With the new roaming service,
customers
will have access to cellular phone service, voice mail and 1-way text messaging
while
roaming outside of the Southern LINC footprint.

"Customers who rely on communications for business will enjoy this added
convenience
when communicating with their customers and co-workers," said Bob Dawson,
president
and CEO of Southern LINC. "Customers' needs will now be met when business takes
them outside of the Southern LINC footprint and into cities all over the country."

Inside of the Southern LINC footprint, customers have access to fully integrated
digital
wireless services that include Instant LINC two-way radio, cellular phone, 1-way
and
2-way text messaging, wireless Internet and wireless data access and Java(TM) 2
Micro
Edition (J2ME)(TM) applications from a single handheld device. Southern LINC is
also
recognized by Motorola as the most reliable iDEN network in the world.

About Southern LINC:

Southern LINC, which stands for Long-range Integrated Network Communications,
covers 127,000 square miles in the Southeast, including major metro and rural
areas in
Alabama, Georgia, southeastern Mississippi and northwest Florida. Using Motorola's
iDEN® technology, Southern LINC combines multiple communication services into one
handset or installed device including Instant LINC(SM) two-way radio, phone
service,
1-way and 2-way text messaging, wireless Internet access and wireless data access.
Southern LINC is also recognized by Motorola as the most reliable iDEN network in
the
world. More information about Southern LINC can be obtained by calling
1-800-818-LINC (5462) or visiting the Southern LINC Web site at
www.southernlinc.com.

About Southern Company:

With 4 million customers and nearly 37,000 megawatts of generating capacity,
Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO - News) is the premier super-regional
energy company in the Southeast and a leading U.S. producer of electricity.
Southern
Company owns electric utilities in four states, a fast-growing competitive
generation
company, an energy services business and a competitive retail natural gas
business,
as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are
known for excellent customer service and high reliability. Southern Company has
been
named No. 1 on Fortune magazine's 2002 "America's Most Admired Companies" list in
the Electric and Gas Utility industry. Southern Company has more than 500,000
shareholders, making its common stock one of the most widely held in the United
States. Visit the Southern Company Web site at www.southerncompany.com.

Southern LINC and Instant LINC are salesmarks or registered trademarks of Southern
LINC. Motorola and iDEN are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola, Inc.
Java and J2ME are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in
the United States and other countries. All Rights Reserved.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030602/25147_1.html

Contact:

For Southern LINC, Atlanta
(Media)
John Moore, 404/262-3000 or 678/232-0270
[email-masked]
or
Gretchen Crawford, 678/443-1525 or
888/429-0990
[email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:45:12 -0400

I wonder why the delayed presser. This deal was inked months ago. Nextel had been
playing games with SoCo trying to avoid final implementation but I guess Soco
finally nailed Timmy down.

Now Soco has to play games with "Nextel Partners" to implement a similar
agreement. I'm sure Timmy has called John C. (Nextel Partners CEO) and told them
to give Bob Dawson the Run-A-Round. Nextel just hates the fact that Southernlinc
is one company they can never buy.