Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public-Safety Spectrum Issues Regain Momentum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 03:20:40 -0400

Wireless In Brief

Public-Safety Spectrum Issues Regain Momentum

Twenty-one months after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and it remains
growing season for legislative attempts to change U.S. policies
covering the allocation of radio spectrum for public safety
operators. Members of Congress recently introduced bills addressing
clearing 700 MHz spectrum for public safety's use and keeping
states' funds for wireless enhanced 911 programs where the funds
belong. And the House has overwhelmingly passed a measure aimed
at clearing up airwaves needed by government agencies or to be
made available for commercial purposes.

Momentum is growing, but the process likely needs much more time
to produce results. "Certainly the events of 9/11 have brought to
light problems that have existed long before that-about both
interoperability and not enough capacity for internal systems in
many areas," Robert Gurss, director of legal and government affairs
for the Association of Public Safety Communications
Officials-International told Communications Today sister
publication ells Wireless Data News.

http://www.TelecomWeb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/