Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Question about cell phone numbers

From: "Brian Dobkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 17:39:47 -0400

I heard that some sort of law was passed saying that you could keep your cell phone number even if you switched to another provider. Is anybody familiar with this?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:32:23 -0400

Yes it is true-

It is called wireless portability aka local number portability (LNP) .  It will
allow you to keep the same phone number regardless of carrier.

This will bring you up to date.

Verizon Wireless Says FCC Must Address Critical Wireless

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK1.story&STORY=/www/story/06-06-2003/0001960843&EDATE=FRI+Jun+06+2003,+01:15+PM

Cell-number portability upheld
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6036179.htm

       Change cell carriers, keep your number 
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6037136.htm

From a reality perspective the impact of "Portability" will be minimal for the
first 12-18 months while consumers are educated on the benefits of portability.
Churn will rise slightly thereafter for all nationwide carriers, but will subside
after 24 months. Carriers will be driven to compete more on price to retain
business customers.

 Local wireless carriers (affiliates) will remain virtually unaffected (except
business customers) because most of their customers are coverage driven. Local
customers fear the new carrier's coverage will be less than their present service
and will remain loyal.

> Brian Dobkin wrote:
> 
> I heard that some sort of law was passed saying that you could keep your cell
> phone number even if you switched to another provider. Is anybody familiar with
> this?
> 
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> 
> 
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/