Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City OKs deal for radio service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:53:26 -0400

Serving historic Rowan County, North Carolina since 1905.
City OKs deal for radio service

By Erin Boyd, Salisbury Post

The Salisbury City Council authorized a contract with
Motorola Tuesday to install a 800 megahertz radio trunking
system.

The council approved the almost $2.8 million proposal for the system
last week.

"There has been a consensus of the council that this is a priority of the budget,"
John Sofley, city finance director, said during Tuesday's meeting.

The system provides for most of Salisbury's communication needs, including police,
fire
and many city departments, as well as those of other local government agencies,
state
employees, colleges and hospitals.

Tuesday's meeting was full of other approved items, and council members wasted no
time taking care of business. Councilman Bob Martin had to leave the meeting early
due
to a personal matter.

Mayor Susan Kluttz and Councilman Bill Burgin were out of town and not able to
attend
Tuesday's meeting.

Early in the meeting, the council approved a group development site plan for the
proposed Birkdale subdivision on the 1900 block of Faith Road. However, they
agreed
on a 100-lot development instead of the originally proposed 260.

The council made this change because the Engineering Division recommended the
number based on traffic flow estimates. Because Faith Road is currently the only
road
adjoining the planned neighborhood to other major roads, the council took the
suggestion.

"The subdivision will be phased in, and more entrances will be added after the
first
phase," said David Phillips, city development services specialist. "We are looking
for
alternative entrances."

The council also approved these items at Tuesday's meeting:

* Group development site plans for a Walgreens drug store to be located at 1906 W.
Innes St.

* Group development site plans for Fleming Heights, 32 apartment units for the
elderly,
to be located at 430 Lash Drive.

* A final subdivision plat for an Eckerd drug store to be located at 1605 E. Innes
St.

* A petition to close three alleys in the 200 block of East 15th Street and set a
public
hearing to discuss the matter on July 15.

* A permit closing Short Street from Bost Street to dead end for a neighborhood
event on
Saturday, July 5, from 2 p.m. until midnight.

* The closing of the 400 block of North Jackson Street as part of security for the
new
water treatment plant.

* A resolution authorizing the $64,444 purchase of a John Deere 410G backhoe for
the
Salisbury-Rowan Water Utility Department.

* A bond order authorizing the issuance of $13 million refunding bonds of the
city. The
order will refinance the city's debt at a lower rate. This may save the city up to
$70,000 a
year in debt payments on its water and sewer utility, said city manager Dave
Treme.

* A water and sewer extension for Forest Glen subdivision.

* A resolution requesting the N.C. Department of Transportation to transfer Holly
Avenue
from the state system to the city system.

* The $66,000 Salisbury Community Development Corp. purchase of land at the end of
West Council Street. The project will be funded by the city's Community
Development
Program.The land will be used for single-family houses for first-time home owners.

Council members also passed two budget ordinance amendments:

* One for the Parks and Recreation 2002-2003 budget in the amount of $6,870 to
appropriate various donations and grants.

* And one to the 2002-2003 city of Salisbury budget in the amount of $1 million to
appropriate lease revenues.

Because Kluttz and Burgin were out of town and unable to vote on these items,
there
must be a second reading for the ordinances. The council voted to recess and vote
again on the two amendments on Friday at noon.

During Tuesday's meeting, council members also listened to city department reports
on
the progress of the Highway 70 annexation area, which goes into effect June 30.

The council also recognized Salisbury Police Department Veteran Officer of the
Year,
Sgt. Jerry Green; Young Officer of the Year, Mike Rocklin and Employee of the
Year, Sgt.
Rory Collins. They also recognized Salisbury Fire Department Veteran Firefighter
of the
Year Battalion Chief Tom Murphy and Rookie Firefighter of the Year Fire Control
Specialist II, Lonnie Horne.

Contact Erin Boyd at 704-797-4273 or [email-masked].

http://salisburypost.townnews.com/articles/2003/06/18/news/18-city_council_meeting.txt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/