Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FTC seeks authority over telecommunications carriers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:02:14 -0400

FTC seeks authority over telecommunications carriers
June 12 13:48:00, 2003

WASHINGTON-The Federal Trade Commission wants to regulate telecommunications
companies, but current law enacted in 1938 won't allow it, so the commissioners
went to Congress on Wednesday and requested additional authority to regulate
telecom common carriers.

Currently, the Federal Communications Commission is the only federal agency with
jurisdiction over telecommunications carriers.

Members of the House Commerce Committee were split on the issue with the
Republican Chairman Billy Tauzin of Louisiana saying that "dual regulation is not
the answer" but Democratic Ranking Member John Dingell of Michigan said the FCC is
too cozy with the telecommunications industry.

FTC members took their proposals to both the House consumers' affairs subcommittee
and the Senate Commerce Committee in back-to-back hearings.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13881

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:12:17 -0400

We need it. The FCC is in bed with most carriers and associations. Paying for
trips for the FCC is just unacceptable.

Imagine being on trial for double homicide and you pay the Judge & Jury's expenses
to Las Vegas. While in LV you spend many hours with them.