Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel Network Issues??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:53:06 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: Allen Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nextel Network Issues??

Lance,
I had the same problem with phones in Northern Virginia and Conneticut
yesterday from 9:15 to 9:45, but not on the west coast. I called Nextel and
of course they said there was no outage.  I asked about some kind of ping
utility and they said, as if reading from a script, that customers did not
need that kind of function.

We really need some kind of ping function to test what is going on.  Is
there any way, hack or whatever, to create and view ICMP packets in a Java
app?  Or is there a better number to call at Nextel to get the real story on
Network connectivity?

I just had a brainstorm.  With all these GPS and network enabled phones,
everyone could send their location in a packet to a common server that
displays the location and time it received the 'ping'  This way we would
have a real-time real world map of network status.  Thoughts anyone?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:09:26 -0000

> have a real-time real world map of network status.  Thoughts 
anyone?

This already exists. I've tested it. The folks behind it are 
finishing up some patents, even though they built it completely with 
open-source software. checkout www.opengis.org and its ilk.

Backstory:
I saw it at the CTIA. Rumor has it that sprint execs were going to 
launch LBS services in April, and apparently were quite surprised as 
to what this type of app would allow. ie. No value in being first.

Carriers are fluxmexed(sp?) as to how to deal with this and other 
apps that transfer TOOOOOO much control to subscribers and away from 
themselves. In other words they are pissed. But Charles Schumer is a 
very happy man. He's been want to do something like this for years 
and now he can claim a private market solution to one his dreams.

Don't be surprised if a bill is introduced around or after the WLNP 
date that will mandate the carriers CAN NOT block subscribers access 
to their own GPS/LBS data, and CAN NOT interfere with whomever a sub 
chooses to share his GPS/LBS data with. Ouch, carriers will really 
be nothing more than dumb pipes!!!

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:24:00 -0500

sparkie_rf wrote:

>Ouch, carriers will really be nothing more than dumb pipes!!!
>  
>
If the shoe fits ...

-rick

---

From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:08:50 -0000

> >Ouch, carriers will really be nothing more than dumb pipes!!!

I very much agree.

I just wish they'd shutup and stop their tales of woe.