Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL-1- I just had a brainstorm.]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:42:39 -0400

Sparkie this one is for you-

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jonathan Spinney <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: NEXTEL-1- I just had a brainstorm.]
To: [email-masked]

Hi there, 

Nice email to the IDENDEV group.  You may want to have a read of the
following article we published.  I think you hit the nail on the head.    

 <<Dumb Pipe.doc>> 

Jonathan E. Spinney
Industry Manager, 
Wireless Infrastructure & Location-based Services 
[email-masked]
(O) 909. 793-2853, ext. 1900
(M) 909. 234-1404
ESRI, Inc. 380 New York St.
Redlands, CA 92373 USA

-------- Original Message --------
From:	"sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:	[NEXTEL-1] I just had a brainstorm.

> I just had a brainstorm.  With all these GPS and network enabled
phones,
> everyone could send their location in a packet to a common server
that
> displays the location and time it received the 'ping'  This way we
would
> have a real-time real world map of network status.  Thoughts
anyone?
This already exists. I've tested it. The folks behind it are finishing up
some patents, even though they built it completely with open-source
software. checkout www.opengis.org and its ilk.
Backstory:
I saw it at the CTIA. Rumor has it that sprint execs were going to launch
LBS services in April, and apparently were quite surprised as to what this
type of app would allow. ie. No value in being first.
Carriers are fluxmexed(sp?) as to how to deal with this and other apps that
transfer TOOOOOO much control to subscribers and away from themselves. In
other words they are pissed. But Charles Schumer is a very happy man. He's
been want to do something like this for years and now he can claim a private
market solution to one his dreams.
Don't be surprised if a bill is introduced around or after the WLNP date
that will mandate the carriers CAN NOT block subscribers access to their own
GPS/LBS data, and CAN NOT interfere with whomever a sub chooses to share his
GPS/LBS data with. Ouch, carriers will really be nothing more than dumb
pipes!!!
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Richard E. Willimon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:38:59 -0400

Southern LINC has a flat rate plan for this...one rate...all you can
eat...they sell the pipe and the customer provides the application...for
example...gis mapping, multi overlay for utility type application's, water,
sewer, gas, etc...mapping online that inspector's need while in the field so
they don't have to go back in the office to get maps or blueprints...saves
the manager from having to justify another desk in the office...inspectors
can file construction permits at the job site and locate underground
utilities without having to go back to the office to get hard copies, etc...
most city/count entities have laptops for their inspector's but the
inspector's usually have to go back to the office to file
permits...utilizing their network online while in the field can save
countless man-hours....usually a govt entity that wants their inspectors to
be in the field and not in the office...

other applications are currently in use by many law enforcement agencies
using fingerprint and real time photos of perps and crime scenes...

southern's approach is "we sell you the pipe, you provide the data".... you
get access to your applications while out in the field...very
effective...Southern LINC has a team dedicatited to only this....they will
actually come to the customer's location and implement the data integration
software needed to access the system...one on one training is provided to
make sure the customer's staff understands how to access and use the
network...

..
 Richard E. Willimon
Communications & Electronics, Inc.
800-238-1277 LaGrange Ga. Office (106 Swift Street)
706-882-7840 LaGrange Ga. Office
800-306-8054 PhenixCity Al. Office(1803 Crawford Road)
334-298-8962 PhenixCity Al.Office
706-845-0375 Home
888-475-5033 Southern LINC portable
888-399-3044 Southern LINC mobile
KE4YYO

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jonathan Spinney <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: NEXTEL-1- I just had a brainstorm.]
To: [email-masked]

Hi there,

 <<Dumb Pipe.doc>>

Jonathan E. Spinney
Industry Manager,

-------- Original Message --------
From:	"sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:	[NEXTEL-1] I just had a brainstorm.

phones,
that
would
anyone?