Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E911 Concerns May Override LNP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:35:46 -0400

E911 Concerns May Override LNP

JUNE 5, 2003

WASHINGTON -- Yesterday's congressional hearing on enhanced 911 issues may
lead to a windfall for wireless carriers that are racing toward a deadline to
implement local number portability in their networks this fall, sources say.

The hearing, set up by House Telecommunications Subcommittee Chairman Fred
Upton, R-Mich, addressed the status of wireless E911 service implementation. At
the meeting, Upton officially called for the establishment of an E911 office
within
the Office of Homeland Security and a grant program for states and localities to
build systems.

He also hinted that he's concerned about wireless LNP implementation. 'I support
wireless LNP as a general proposition. However, I have concerns about its
implementation at a time when we are asking wireless carriers to make E911 their
top priority. E911 is a greater priority in my book, and we need to carefully
weigh
this balance,' Upton said in his opening statement at the hearing.

That concern may be linked to some upcoming legislation. One analyst said today
Upton plans to introduce legislation that could require LNP deadlines to wait
until
after wireless E911 network issues are settled. A spokesman for Upton referred
questions concerning such a bill to the Congressman's statement at the hearing.

Even if such a bill isn't introduced, E911 responders and those involved with the
safety technology are poised to get the message out that carriers can't implement
both E911 and LNP technology at the same time. In fact, E911 advocates are
contemplating aggressively voicing their concerns to Congress about LNP getting
in the way of a crucial safety issue, sources say. Such a move could be another
bump in the road for often-delayed LNP, say officials at E911-related companies.
'Safety always trumps' other issues, they say.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=06/05/03
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/