Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Bubbling Barry West On Radio Frequency planning to ol from Com...

From: Bill McLain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:52:17 -0500

In this case it was the local PD that found it as their mobile data was very
erratic when they were within a 10 block vicinity of the site--and yes it
was in the middle of the night that we got the first calls!!!  Oooops my
foot, as soon as we determined which channel it was, it didn't take 10
minutes from the time my email hit their operations managers desk, he called
and said "think we overlooked this one!!!!"  (sort of paraphrased to remove
my searing thoughts!
 
The weather machine is about to give us a dose of the bad stuff, just hope
it is only the rain and not those big things that go spinning through the
sky!

In our filing, I called it "Ooops" interference.  Extremely maddening,
particularly for systems with a lot of public safety users, as those are the
one's that discover the problem at 3 a.m. (shortly after Nextel has made the
system change) and the public safety users calls and wakes up the system
operator.

Alan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:25:18 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2003 11:53:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> But what a miserable state our attitudes about communications priorities
> have became to treat these 'oops' as an acceptable business practice.

Hope I didn't leave you with the impression that I considered "Ooops" to be 
an acceptable response from the company bringing up a channel for which they 
are not licensed.  It's not, and we haven't treated it that way.  Similarly, 
during the Upper 200 relocation process, there were local Nextel salesman telling 
our SMR client's customers that our client was "going out of business" (we 
even have it on tape).  Of course, having said that, it's nothing that I haven't 
seen SMR dealers do to each other over the years, either.  I remember the 
Dallas/Ft. Worth wars "fondly", in particular.

Alan