Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Location-Based Services on Motorola iDEN(R) Mobile Phones Keep Nextel Customers Connected, Productive and On Track

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:18:22 -0400

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030611/cgw019_1.html
--
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
broke_nxtl_invest
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Motorola, Inc.

Location-Based Services on Motorola iDEN(R) Mobile Phones Keep Nextel Customers Connected, Productive and On Track
Wednesday June 11, 10:00 am ET

Applications Transform Motorola's iDEN Mobile Phones Into Portable Navigation Systems

PLANTATION, Fla. and RESTON, Va., June 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT - News) and Nextel Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTL - News)
today announced several location-based services, ranging from voice-enabled
driving directions to asset tracking solutions, that can now turn Motorola's
GPS (global positioning satellite)-enabled iDEN® mobile phones into
sophisticated workforce management and navigational devices for Nextel
customers.

ADVERTISEMENT

"These location-based services leverage the Internet and GPS capabilities
of select Motorola iDEN phones, including the i58sr and i88s, to help
businesses and consumers stay productive, efficient, and where they want to
be," said Peter Aloumanis, vice president and general manager, U.S. Markets
Division, Motorola's iDEN Subscriber Group. "Whether it is a business that
needs to manage its mobile workforce or a consumer who is trying to navigate
an unfamiliar city, many users can benefit from these location-based
services."
"Location-based services further Nextel's continued efforts to bring value
to the business customer by enabling them to make better decisions and operate
their businesses more resourcefully," said Blair Kutrow, vice president,
product management, Nextel. "In many situations, the very first question a
dispatcher asks a driver on the road is 'Where are you?' -- location-based
applications eliminate the need for that question and improve efficiency."
Numerous developers, including specialists in specific industries, are
working with Motorola and Nextel to deploy their applications on the handsets.
Many of the solutions can be customized to meet the particular needs of a
business and work with existing enterprise systems.
Workforce management solutions
By equipping mobile workers with GPS technology-enabled Motorola phones
and customized software applications, enterprises can automate their workforce
management, monitor activity in the field, and potentially improve worker
productivity. Motorola offers a variety of powerful, low-cost services to help
minimize the manual tasks of managing mobile workforces. These location-based
solutions turn the phone into a mobile asset tracking system that can also
help to reduce downtime, enforce overtime policies, and report employee
locations in real time.
General Motors sees the value of these workforce management solutions
enough to use them as an incentive to drive commercial truck sales. GM is
currently offering their fleet vehicle customers etrace xt, an application
developed by Gearworks that runs on Motorola's GPS technology-enabled phones.
This application provides field workers with the ability to manage their job
schedules and receive information from headquarters; a web-based system that
allows dispatchers to quickly locate vehicles, track the entire fleet,
determine job status and communicate with workers; and reporting tools to
measure key worker performance metrics.
"By teaming up with Gearworks, Motorola and Nextel, we can deliver
valuable fleet management capabilities to our commercial customers, providing
them complete visibility to field operations so they can better measure and
utilize resources," said Tim Cavanaugh, marketing product manager, General
Motors Fleet and Commercial Operations. "We believe etrace xt will deliver
bottom line benefits to our customers, helping them capitalize on additional
revenue opportunities and reduce operating costs by increasing the
productivity and response times of their mobile workers."
Mobile navigation systems
Location based applications, like Motorola's VIAMOTO(TM), have been
developed to transform select Motorola mobile phones into portable navigation
devices, similar to built-in vehicle navigation systems.
Avis uses VIAMOTO at Dallas-Fort Worth and Washington-Dulles airports in
its Avis Assist navigation system to help car renters travel to their
destinations in a timely and efficient manner. After speaking to an Avis
Advisor to select a destination address, drivers receive audible alerts to
upcoming maneuvers, such as "prepare to turn right on Washington Street in 50
yards" through the speakerphone. If the driver gets off course, the phone's
GPS capabilities identify the driver's location and provide revised directions
from that location.
These and many other GPS applications are available for Nextel customers
with Motorola's GPS-enabled phones to download from their phone's menu, to
download wirelessly from www.idenupdate.com, or to order directly from the
application developers.
To learn more about some of the location applications available on
Motorola's iDEN phones for Nextel customers, stop by Nextel's booth (#930) or
Motorola's booth (#839) at JavaOne.
About iDEN and Motorola
Motorola's iDEN handsets combine the capabilities of a digital wireless
phone with "always on" Internet access, text pager, and two-way radio to
enable users to instantly communicate with one or hundreds of individuals at
the push of a button. For further information on iDEN handsets, visit
www.motorola.com/iden .
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT - News) is a global leader in wireless, automotive and
broadband communications. Sales in 2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a
global corporate citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and
pioneering important innovations that make things smarter and life better,
honored traditions that began when the company was founded 75 years ago this
year. For more information, please visit www.motorola.com.
About Nextel
Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a
leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has
built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country
covering thousands of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel
Partners, Inc., currently serve 198 of the top 200 U.S. markets. Through
recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today
in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240 million people live or work.
MOTOROLA and the stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent &
Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of their
respective owners.

Source:
Motorola, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Get Top Real Estate Agents to Buy a Home at ServiceMagic

·

Are your house payments too high? Refinance

·

It is a good idea to shop at 1800inkjets, don't you think?

·

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Best CEO? Best Practices? Search eLibrary.

·

Wireless Video Surveillance

·

Save 80% on inkjet cartridges at Myinks.com

·

Rent DVDs-Try FREE today!

·

Get a FREE Mortgage REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!

Related
Quotes

MOT
NXTL

8.42
14.52

-0.14
+0.44

News
News

View Detailed Quotes
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

[external] Texas Instruments shares drop on lowered outlook - at CBS MarketWatch (10:13 am)

·

Nextel, Motorola and Symbol Technologies Offer First Wireless Bar Code Scanner for Mobile Phones - Business Wire (10:02 am)

·

[video] United Technologies Expands [2.0 min] - at Forbes.com (10:00 am)

·

Energized Anew by Stock Talk - RealCommentary from TheStreet.com (9:43 am)

More...

·

By
industry:
Automobiles, Computer peripheral, Computers, Semiconductors, Telecom

Top Stories

·

U.S. Attorney Investigating Freddie Mac - Reuters (10:09 am)

·

Treasuries Up on Rate Cut Hopes - Reuters (9:39 am)

·

Cautious OPEC Holds Output, Calls Meeting - Reuters (9:54 am)

·

Stocks Open Lower, TI Weighs - Reuters (9:37 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 PR
Newswire.
All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution
of
PRNewswire content is expressly prohibited without
the prior written
consent of PRNewswire. PRNewswire shall not be liable
for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in
reliance thereon.