Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MobileOne abandons Wi-Fi plan, focuses on 3G network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 00:33:55 -0400

MobileOne abandons Wi-Fi plan, focuses on 3G network

MobileOne, Singapore's second-largest mobile operator, has decided to shut down
its Wi-Fi service and instead concentrate on 3G. Disappointing Wi-Fi trials
earlier this year have led the company to decide to spend close to $150 million
over the next two years on the 3G network which is now being developed. The Wi-Fi
trials began in February and ran for about two months. "Our customers didn't like
the services," a company's spokesperson said. "It's not really mobile." MobileOne
will spend $75 million this year on 3G, and another $75 million next year to
complete island-wide coverage. The company plans to launch 3G trials in September
or October this year, followed by a commercial launch around the middle of next
year.

 www.fiercewireless.com

-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/