Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AOL Dumps The Wackberry for T-Mobile's Sidekick

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:00:36 -0400

AOL to stop Mobile Communicator service
By Mike Dano 
June 17 13:32:00, 2003

America Online Inc. said it will stop selling and supporting its Mobile
Communicator, which is based on Research In Motion Ltd.’s BlackBerry device.

According to AOL’s Internet site, the Mobile Communicator service will shut down
Aug. 1. On the site, AOL suggested its customers move to different devices,
including the T-Mobile USA Inc. Sidekick, a mobile phone, or a Palm- or Pocket
PC-based personal digital assistant. AOL was not immediately available for
comment.

“Your loyalty to AOL as a valued member is of the utmost importance to us, and we
hope to make your transition to a new wireless device as smooth and as easy as
possible,” the company said in its advisement to customers.

The move does not come as a total surprise; AOL seems to have met with little
success with its Mobile Communicator. In 2001, AOL drastically cut the price of
the device from about $300 to about $100, and rumors have long circulated that AOL
would discontinue the device.

That AOL is promoting the T-Mobile Sidekick also comes as little surprise. AOL
signed a deal with Sidekick maker Danger Inc. in March to offer its instant
messaging and e-mail services over the device.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13938

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/