Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Delegations debate outdoor unlicensed operations at WRC-03

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:54:18 -0400

Delegations debate outdoor unlicensed operations at WRC-03
By Jeffrey Silva
June 12 13:53:00, 2003

WASHINGTON-The head of the U.S. delegation to the World Radiocommunication
Conference today said that while there is support for a global 5 GHz allocation
for Wi-Fi technologies, differences exist among nations about whether unlicensed
operations in certain frequency bands should be allowed outdoors where
interference could be caused to satellite signals.

"There's a quite a close degree of consensus on that [spectrum allocation] issue,"
Ambassador Janice Obuchowski told reporters from Geneva this morning. But, she
added, "It's too soon to tell how that debate will unfold." The U.S.  supports
outdoor use of 5 GHz unlicensed devices.

Obuchowski said a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network is set up in the WRC-03 convention center.
"It was important that all delegates from around the world see that the technology
can deliver as promised," she said.

The Federal Communications Commission, with an eye toward WRC-03, has proposed
allocating 255 megahertz at 5 GHz for unlicensed wireless devices. In addition,
House and Senate lawmakers have sponsored bills to free more frequencies for Wi-Fi
and other license-exempt wireless services.

The Bush administration, through the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration, paved the way for the conference by settling a dispute between the
Department of Defense and the high-tech industry. In doing so, the U.S. delegation
can support a global 5 GHz allocation for Wi-Fi and other wireless broadband
technologies, while protecting military radar from interference.

Joining Obuchowski in Geneva for the press briefing were NTIA head Nancy Victory
and FCC members Kathleen Abernathy and Michael Copps. The FCC, NTIA, State
Department and other federal agencies developed U.S. policy positions for the
conference.

In addition to 5 GHz unlicensed spectrum, WRC-03 will consider earmarking radio
channels for a new generation of aeronautical broadband services for airline
passengers and ensuring continued spectrum access for U.S. government systems that
are vital for scientific exploration, public safety and national security.

WRC-03 is expected to reflect the emergence of regional voting blocs, as countries
formulate regional proposals and coalitions and seek to promote them through
regional telecommunications organizations.

"Given the myriad issues, we anticipate a complex conference, with attempts to
link issues-some in predictable ways and others in ways yet to be seen,"
Obuchowski said. "We have been working, and will continue to work, with all of the
delegations present at the conference." WRC-03 concludes early next month.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13883

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/