Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Telecommunications Development Fund Investigation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:56:51 -0400

Telecommunications Development Fund Investigation 

Investigation criticizes telecom investment fund

by Jeffrey Silva
June 19, 2003 1:45 PM EST

WASHINGTON—A watchdog group said a quasi-governmental corporation set up to fund
small telecom start-ups spends nearly as much on executive salaries and overhead
as on investments in companies. 

The Center for Public Integrity said its investigation found the
Telecommunications Development Fund paid more than $7 million in executive
salaries and other expenses, while investing $9.4 million of seed money in
start-ups. 

TDF, championed by Rep. Edolphus Towns (D-N.Y.), was included in the 1996 telecom
act to jumpstart small communications firms in hopes of spurring innovation and
competition. Towns was angered by the watchdog group’s report. 

“He is still very proud of his association and the work he has done to create TDF,
and he feels the article is a gross mischaracterization of what he said and what
he feels about TDF,” said a Towns spokesman today. 

The CPI said FCC Chairman Michael Powell appointed himself to the board, which it
said raises questions about the appropriateness of having the nation’s top telecom
regulator in charge of a venture-capital fund in the same industry he regulates. 

“It’s not a conflict of interest,” said David Fiske, an FCC spokesman. Fiske said
TDF is subject to thorough oversight, noting the FCC and other government
officials associated with TDF are not involved in investment decisions. 

The TDF legislation reserves seats on the fund’s board of directors for officials
from the FCC, Small Business Administration and Treasury Department. Fiske said
Powell’s predecessor, William Kennard, also served on TDF’s board. Kennard is now
managing director of the Carlyle Group, an investment firm based here. 

Frank Howard, a TDF spokesman, said the CPI report is not balanced. He said TDF
management salaries comprise $720,000 of the total overhead expenses. “The salary
and bonus structure is well under venture capital norms,” said Howard. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13976

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/