Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SpotCell devices amplify, extend scope of wireless coverage.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:11:31 -0400

Spotwave Boosts Indoor Wireless Signals

SpotCell devices amplify, extend scope of wireless coverage.

Rebecca Freed, PCWorld.com
Thursday, June 19, 2003

NEW YORK -- A suite of devices 
to keep wireless gadgets operating
even inside office buildings notorious
 for spotty coverage is being shown 
here at the CeBIT show.

Spotwave Wireless is first
targeting businesses whose staffers
are frequent users of cellular
phones, BlackBerry handhelds,
and other devices that transmit
and receive voice and data
signals--and who are both
accustomed to and often
frustrated by spotty reception
when inside the office building.

Devices Assist

Spotwave's SpotCell product suite includes a "donor unit" and "coverage unit"
intended to usher a wireless signal into a building and distribute it to work
areas where good reception is needed. The devices are compatible with all current
wireless phone technologies, including CDMA and GSM, and all service providers,
says Steve Adams, Spotwave's vice president of marketing.

Donor units are placed where they can receive a signal and then retransmit the
signal to coverage units via cable. Coverage units, which distribute the signal to
work areas, can cover up to 50,000 square feet, according to Spotwave. Customers
can add multiple coverage units to extend the signals to larger areas. The
coverage unit can be placed as far as 245 feet away from the donor unit.

The SpotCell technology can double the typical wireless coverage area inside an
office building. The SpotCell 200 operates in the 800-MHz frequency band, and the
SpotCell 210 operates in the 1900-MHz PCS frequency band, according to Spotwave.

Price, Options

Installation of one donor unit and one coverage unit should take less than an hour
and would cost about $3500, Adams says. It is simple enough for users to install
the system themselves, according to the company.
Spotwave is also working on products aimed at home users, to help them extend
their wireless LAN and cellular coverage, according to the company. Home versions
of the products are expected to become available by the end of 2003.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111233,00.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/