Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GSM-R continues to spread in Europe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:21:15 -0400

GSM-R continues to spread in Europe

Siemens says that it is to set up a national GSM-Railway (GSM-R) network for the
Finnish Rail Administration. The GSM-R solution will replace the existing analogue
radio systems with one digital infrastructure for voice and data exchange. Siemens
Mobile will deliver the first stage of the GSM-R network to the Pieksamaki-Lisalmi
line by the end of this year. The complete network will be ready by the end of
2006. The contract will cover 5,000 kilometers of rail track.

GSM-R is a communication system for traffic control, serving amongst others engine
drivers as well as personnel working on railroad works both along the rail network
and in railway stations. The system ensures a more secure and smooth flow of train
traffic. Within the scope of the order, Siemens mobile will install the entire
network infrastructure and will provide installation, support and maintenance
services for 15 years. Siemens mobile has already secured contracts with rail
companies in Sweden, Italy, the UK, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland and
Belgium for GSM-R networks.

GSM-R technology was developed in an EU-funded MORANE (Mobile Radio for Railways
Networks in Europe) project in which Siemens mobile has played a part since the
beginning.

 The project's goal is to develop a uniform digital radio system for European
railroad traffic. GSM-R is a platform for voice and data communications as well as
for traffic control system (ETCS, Electronic Train Control System). The system is
mainly based on the mobile communications standard GSM and it includes special
features developed for rail traffic.

 As they are closed networks, it is possible to build special applications needed
for the railroad environment. GSM-R is already in commercial use in several
European countries.

Posted to the site on 18-Jun-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/