Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC approves MSS frequency changes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:52:24 -0400

FCC approves MSS frequency changes

June 25, 2003 1:43 PM EST

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission approved frequency changes for
four mobile satellite service operators and said MSS licensees are making progress
toward meeting milestones, a development that could hurt mobile-phone industry
efforts to secure additional satellite spectrum for third-generation wireless
systems.

The FCC late Tuesday granted license modifications to Boeing Co., ICO Satellite
Services L.P., Celsat America Inc. and Iridium LLC.
In addition to dealing with harsh market conditions in their sector, MSS operators
have had to adjust business plans to FCC rulings in which licensees lost 30
megahertz of their 70 megahertz total allocation in the 2 GHz band but gained
approval to provide terrestrial cellular service.

The FCC said the four MSS licensees have met the first MSS milestone, requiring a
non-contingent satellite manufacturing contract. But to keep their licenses, MSS
have to meet other requirements, including a critical design review by July 17 and
satellite construction and launch during the next few years.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14059

Also See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/8718

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/