Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 802.11g becomes official tomorrow

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:37:12 -0400

802.11g becomes official tomorrow

The final specifications for 802.11g will become official tomorrow. Many companies
did not wait for the standard's ratification and have already shipped products
based on a pre-ratification version of the technology. These products helped spur
802.11 sales in the first quarter. 

The final ratification will take place tomorrow in a meeting of the IEEE Standards
Board Review Committee. Today that group's Revision Subcommittee also signed off
on the standard. The 802 Executive Committee, which oversees all the
802/networking-related working groups, also signed off on 802.11g following an
email ballot last week. Between February, when the 802.11 Working Group signed of
on an 802.11g draft version, and the end of April, 802.11g was tweaked a bit in
response to various suggestions. 

In late April the standard reached its current version -- version 8.2. Companies
which have already distributed software revisions for their available 802.11g
products -- for example, Broadcom, which supplies chips from Buffalo Technologies,
Linksys, Netgear, and Apple - will be relieved, because the software covers the
8.2 draft, and the company is already using the 8.2 specifications in its driver
software.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/