Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GSM Coverage Envelops the Americas

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:36:48 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/June2003/5544.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

GSM
Coverage Envelops the Americas

26th
June 2003

US
: 3G Americas reports GSM's significant progress in the Americas with
coverage expanding in nearly every country in the region and at a growth
rate of more than 60% from March 2002 to March 2003.

Based
on figures from EMC World Cellular Database, GSM represents the largest
percentage of growth of any wireless technology in the Americas. This
growth is significant not only due to the new deployments by GSM operators,
but also the GSM overlays by existing TDMA and CDMA operators. This
clearly demonstrates the ability of GSM to successfully compete in these
largely mature markets.

During this one-year
period, GSM customers in Latin America nearly doubled - resulting in
97% annual growth. GSM in the U.S. and Canada accounted for a 47% growth
rate. Globally, GSM added over 169 million customers, bringing the total
number of worldwide GSM subscribers to more than 833 million at the
end of first quarter 2003.

Chris Pearson, Executive
Vice President of 3G Americas commented, "Operators and their customers,
whether deploying newly licensed networks or migrating to 3G services,
continue to choose the GSM technology, making it the most rapidly expanding
wireless technology in the Americas. To date, GSM has been selected
for next-generation network overlays by 42 TDMA operators and one CDMA
operator in the region."

Pearson added, "Building
upon GSM's extensive global roaming footprint are more than 100 GSM
operators in the Americas. Rural, regional and national operators in
the region continue to choose GSM for the technical and business merits
that offer significant advantages over other technologies for migration
to 3G. We expect this momentum to continue as 3G EDGE networks are launched
by GSM operators starting in the next few months."

As one of the most
spectrally efficient 3G technologies, EDGE will support average data
rates of 80-130 Kbps and theoretical data throughput up to 473 Kbps,
and will build upon the GPRS packet-based wireless data platform. It
is expected that EDGE will be launched first by North American GSM operators
during the second half of 2003, with commitments by 16 operators in
the Americas representing 95 million customers. EDGE deployments in
Europe, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East have also been announced, making
EDGE a truly global 3G technology.

"Customers
continue to select GSM and GPRS throughout Latin America for its great
quality of service, roaming and wireless data services," remarked
Erasmo Rojas, Director of Latin America and the Caribbean for 3G Americas.
Rojas added, "The successful introduction of GSM is well documented
when you examine the experiences in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico
and the Caribbean."

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

J-PHONE
Movie Sha-mail Users Top 2 Million

-PHONE
announced that as of June 24, the number of subscribers to its video messaging
service known as Movie Sha-mail passed the 2 million mark.

GSM
Coverage Envelops the Americas

G
Americas reports GSM's significant progress in the Americas with coverage
expanding in nearly every country in the region and at a growth rate of
more than 60% from March 2002 to March 2003.

3G
Test Case Choice with ETSI Option

Through
the use of its newly launched ETSI TTCN adaptor, customers will gain the
ability to use 3GPP's ETSI originated test cases as part of their test
process.

Hutchison
and NTT 3G Agreement

It
is significant that NTT DoCoMo and Hutchison 3G, the world's leading operators
of W-CDMA-based 3G services, kick off their collaborative efforts for
the further development of 3G

i-mode
Comes To Italy

NTT
DoCoMo and Wind Telecomunicazioni S.p.A., Italy's number one provider
of integrated telecommunications services combining fixed-line, mobile
and Internet services, today announced that they have started a strategic
i-mode™ partnership in the Italian market.

Lucent
Lands 3G Contract

The
implementation will enable E-Plus to use their existing transport infrastructure
to efficiently manage the large increases in network traffic as customers
subscribe to new 3G UMTS services.

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.