Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Panel: Wi-Fi Needs Telco Boost

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 19:14:17 -0400

Wireless In Brief

Panel: Wi-Fi Needs Telco Boost

ATLANTA--Wi-Fi has its hotspots, but it'll take a big cash
investment from established carriers before the technology really
becomes hot and takes off, according to a panel discussion Monday
at SuperComm. "[The incumbent carriers'] participation in the
[Wi-Fi] market in a large capitalization will be critical to pushing it
forward," said Mark Wolinsky, co-founder and co-CEO of Spotnik
Mobile Inc. and one of five panelists speaking during a forum titled
"Everywhere Wi-Fi Access: Technology Solutions and Business
Models for Public WLAN Services."

Participants said many wireless operators are recognizing the
advantages of using public WLAN access to complement GPRS and
CDMA2000 1X wireless data devices. In response to this demand,
vendors are promoting solutions for one-bill integration of WLAN and
cellular/PCS services, the panel said. Other critical issues that have
to be addressed before Wi- Fi can take off, they said, include
addressing roaming issues and finding ways to reduce customer
churn. Wolinsky said it will take some time before Wi-Fi will make its
way to more rural areas.

"I think the rural markets will start to see some solutions, but they
will be more expensive than what is traditionally available in the
urban areas," Wolinsky told Communications Today. "The question
becomes is there a market there that supports this additional cost."
For more on wireless news at this year's SuperComm conference,
go to:
http://www.telecomweb.com/reports/supercomm2003/index.html.

-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/