Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Andrew Corporation Participates in Successful Commercial Communications System Trial for Beijing Metro

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:51:13 -0400

Andrew Corporation Participates in Successful Commercial Communications System
Trial for Beijing Metro

Business Editors/High-Tech Writers

ORLAND PARK, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 17, 2003--Andrew Corporation
(NASDAQ:ANDW) announced that it contributed to the success of Beijing Metro's
commercial wireless-communication system trial by supplying RADIAX(R) radiating
'leaky' coaxial cable for the system's tunnel coverage.

Andrew customer Beijing Underground Space Communications Co. Ltd. (BUSC) oversaw
the trial project on behalf of the Beijing Metro. The purpose of the trial was to
extend wireless communications in the Metro along the line between Dong Zhi Men
and Liu Fang stations of the Beijing Light Rail (also known as Beijing Metro Line
13). One of the project's important tasks was the use of leaky coaxial cable to
provide wireless communications coverage throughout the approximately
1.5-kilometer long tunnel on the line. Andrew received the contract to supply the
leaky coaxial cable for the trial system in late 2002 and the system was
constructed and operational on in late January 2003.

"We are very happy that this trial system was put into operation on schedule so
that phone users can now have seamless service along the entire length of the line
between Dong Zhi Men and Liu Fang stations," said General Manager of BUSC, Mr. Ma
Jianmin. "We estimate that some 70,000 of our customers travel this line every
day. These rail commuters are now able to effectively access cell phone services
in the tunnel and stations, according to services offered by the operators. This
is a good and successful experiment of Beijing Metro's Commercial Mobile
Communication system; it's also a benchmark for the construction and upgrading of
other such systems in other lines of the Beijing Metro. We are satisfied with the
leaky cable product and the associated services that Andrew has provided."

Andrew products used in the trial communications system included over six
kilometers of RADIAX(R) RCT7-CPUS-2-RN coaxial cable plus connectors and
installation accessories, such as self-locking cable hangers. Andrew personnel
also supervised the installation and carried out the post installation field
tests. The system is currently giving Beijing Light Rail passengers seamless cell
phone communications provided by operators China Mobile and China Unicom, along
the line and within the tunnel.

With appropriate add-ons the 'leaky' cable system could easily be extended to
provide services such as FM, paging, PHS, UMTS/3G or WLAN. A separate Andrew
RADIAX-based radiating coaxial cable system is also used for Beijing Light Rail's
800 MHz TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) dispatch system.

For further information on Andrew RADIAX(R) RCT7 coaxial cable call the Andrew
Customer Support Center at 1-800-255-1479 and request bulletin number 10673.

RADIAX is a registered trademark of Andrew Corporation.

--30--AB/cg*

CONTACT: Andrew Corporation
Greta Brown, 708/349-5661
[email-masked]

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.061703/231685552&directory=/google&header_file=header.htm&footer_file=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/