Subject: [NEXTEL-1] McCain intros USFA reauthorization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:14:34 -0400

McCain intros USFA reauthorization

Monday, June 09, 2003

CFSI

Washington, D.C. - On Friday, May 23rd, Senator John McCain (AZ) introduced S.
1152, the United States Fire Administration (USFA) Reauthorization Act of 2003.
The legislation authorizes appropriations for USFA through fiscal year 2006. The
act also reestablishes the position of United States Fire Administrator. The U.S.
Fire Administrator' s position was inadvertently eliminated when Congress passed
the Homeland Security Act (PL 107-296; sec. 1513). Senator McCain and other
congressional leaders, as well as Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, have
recently voiced support for reestablishing the position.

Upon introducing the legislation Senator McCain said, "Firefighting remains one of
the most dangerous professions in the Unites States. We rely on firefighters to
aid us in fires, accidents, and natural disasters. However, we have also witnessed
the role that firefighters play as the first responders on the scene of any
possible terrorist attack. It is important that we pass this legislation to ensure
that the federal government continues its appropriate role in helping our fire
services adapt to this new challenge."

The USFA Reauthorization Act is co-sponsored by Senator Ernest Hollings (SC) and
Senator John Breaux (LA). The legislation has been referred to the Senate
Committee of Commerce, Science, and Transportation. Senator McCain currently
chairs both the Senate Commerce Committee and the Congressional Fire Services
Caucus.

House Science Committee Holds Hearing on Need for Adequate Firefighter Staffing

On Wednesday, June 4th, Chairman Sherwood Boehlert (NY) convened a hearing of the
House Science Committee to discuss legislation that would provide for adequate
staffing of firefighters.  The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response
(SAFER) Firefighters Act (H.R. 1118) would help communities across America meet
minimum staffing standards for the fire services so they have adequate manpower to
protect against fires, acts of terrorism, and other hazards. The legislation
authorizes funding for the U.S. Fire Administration to award grants to State and
local governments to pay the salaries and benefits for new firefighters for three
years.

Testifying before the committee were Congressman Curt Weldon (PA), Congressman
Bill Pascrell (NJ), and Senator Chris Dodd (CT). A modified version of the SAFER
bill was recently incorporated into the Senate Defense Authorization bill, after
Senator Dodd introduced it as an amendment. A conference of House and Senate
members is currently meeting to discuss differences in the legislation, including
the inclusion of the SAFER Act. Congressman Boehlert noted he intends to work with
conferees and congressional leaders to ensure the SAFER Act is not only included,
but strengthened, in the final Defense Authorization legislation that is sent to
the President.

Testifying before the Science Committee, Congressman Weldon said, "The SAFER Act
is a necessary piece of legislation that will finally cure the personnel
shortfalls that are endangering our communities. My amendment to the Defense
Authorization bill will provide career and volunteer fire departments with what
they need most while addressing specific issues surrounding volunteer recruitment
and retention. At the same time this measure will prevent states from lowering
their previous levels of firefighter and EMS funding."

Also testifying before the Science Committee were Jim Shannon, President of the
National Fire Protection Association, Chief Michael Quill of the Auburn, New York
Fire Department, Chief Jeff Cash of the Cherryville, North Carolina Fire
Department, and Mr. Mike McNeill, 9th District Vice President of the International
Association of Fire Fighters.

Deborah Kay Corey Joins CFSI

Deborah Kay Corey has recently joined the staff of CFSI as the new Director of
Development.  Deborah comes to CFSI from the office of Congressman Greg Ganske.
Before she joined the Congressman's staff, she interned with the Small Business
Administration's Office of Advocacy.
Deborah moved to DC one year ago after receiving her Bachelor of the Arts in
English from Luther College in Decorah, IA. She is very excited to be apart of the
team at CFSI.

http://www.firetimes.com/story.asp?FragID=8474

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/