Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sierra Hooks up the Mesquite Police with Data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:03:39 -0400

Sierra Hooks up the Mesquite Police with Data

The Mesquite, Texas, Police Department implemented Sierra Wireless’s MP GPRS 750,
a next generation mobile solution that helps improve officer safety and field
communication. The next generation wireless data solution was chosen specifically
for its unique security features, as well as its ability to provide faster access
to mission critical information while officers patrol a wide range of geographies.
The system wirelessly connects to the enhanced AT&T Wireless GSM(TM)/GPRS (Global
System for Mobile Communication/General Packet Radio.

=====================================================================================

JUNE 26, 2003 - 13:31 ET

Sierra Wireless Next Generation Technology Wirelessly
Connects a Texas Police Force

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--

Mesquite Police Department is the first police force in North
America to implement the MP GPRS 750, a next generation mobile
solution that helps improve officer safety and field
communication.

Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR - TSX: SW) announced today that the
Mesquite Police Department is the first police force in North
America to implement its next generation mobile product (MP) for
GSM/GPRS networks. Police officers in Mesquite, Texas will now
rely on the new Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) to
serve and protect its community while patrolling over 377 miles
of arterial and residential streets, and 20 miles of freeway. The
next generation wireless data solution was chosen specifically
for its unique security features, as well as its ability to
provide faster access to mission critical information while
officers patrol a wide range of geographies.

"The safety of our public and the officers that protect them
remains our number one priority," said Captain Robert Piccioni
for the Mesquite Police Department in Texas. "We receive over
110,000 service calls a year so our officers need a fast and
reliable mobile solution that helps them care for our community
as well as their safety. We specifically chose the strength of a
high speed wireless solution so our officers could work more
productively from their patrol cars and resume work faster on the
street. Combined with broader coverage and enhanced network
speed, our officers will receive instant access to vital
information which provides added protection in the field."

To tackle the ongoing challenges that police officers face, the
City of Mesquite will outfit its fleet of patrol cars with a
unique solution built for users that require an in-vehicle mobile
solution for extreme conditions and environments. The solution
combines new wireless technology from Sierra Wireless including
the MP GPRS 750, a next generation rugged wireless modem, with a
fully integrated dispatch and mapping application. The system
wirelessly connects to the enhanced AT&T Wireless GSM(TM)/GPRS
(Global System for Mobile Communication/General Packet Radio
Services) network, now operating in thousands of cities in the
United States with roaming services in 20 countries around the
world.

The new implementation will help officers in Mesquite, Texas
improve response time with fast wireless access to local and
national databases where they can review mug shots and file
reports quickly over the GSM/GPRS network. Officer safety is also
enhanced with the added protection of a Global Positioning System
(GPS) that provides accurate location reporting when engaged in
surveillance, ensuring officers can be monitored and assisted by
central headquarters at any time.

"The needs of our customers are paramount, and we want to ensure
they have all the tools required to implement a dependable and
affordable mobile solution," said Stacey Black, Vice President
for Government and Field Services for AT&T Wireless. "Our next
generation wireless customers will benefit from the faster
speeds, increased bandwidth, and expanded coverage that our
GSM/GPRS network provides. Combined with a strong working
relationship with Sierra Wireless, we can deliver compelling
solutions that give our public safety customers the peace of mind
they need in the field."

"For the past decade, law enforcement agencies have turned to
Sierra Wireless for compelling solutions that help save lives and
improve field productivity," said Jason Cohenour, Senior Vice
President, Worldwide Sales and Marketing for Sierra Wireless.
"Sierra Wireless's next generation MP will allow us to continue
this tradition by offering a faster wireless solution with
enhanced security features that is durable enough to withstand
the most extreme working environments. Officers in Mesquite,
Texas can now experience the full benefits of the new MP, which
is designed to help our public safety customers stay protected
and connected to the information they need the most."

The Sierra Wireless MP GRPS 750 operates in extreme temperatures
and meets US Military and SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
specifications for vibration, shock, and humidity. For more
information about the Sierra Wireless MP GPRS 750 now operating
on the AT&T Wireless GSM/GPRS network please visit
www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/mp750.asp. Or contact the
Sierra Wireless Sales Desk by calling 604-232-1488 or e-mail
[email-masked].

AT&T Wireless and Sierra Wireless are members of the
WirelessReady(R) Alliance, a program founded by Sierra Wireless
that unites wireless industry-leading members in the development
of complete and compelling wireless data solutions. For more
information about the WRA please visit www.wirelessready.org.

Note to editors:

To view and download images of the MP Series and other Sierra
Wireless products, please visit
www.sierrawireless.com/news/photos.html.

About Sierra Wireless

Sierra Wireless, Inc. is a global leader in delivering highly
differentiated wireless solutions. Sierra Wireless develops and
markets the AirCard(R), a wireless PC Card for portable
computers, OEM modules for embedded applications, and rugged
vehicle-mounted wireless systems. Sierra Wireless is the founding
member of the WirelessReady(R) Alliance, a partnership of
industry-leading hardware, software, and service companies
committed to the delivery of complete and compelling wireless
data solutions. For more information on Sierra Wireless, visit
its web site at www.sierrawireless.com.

"AirCard" and "WirelessReady" are registered trademarks of Sierra
Wireless, Inc. All other trademarks or service marks in this news
release are the trademarks or service marks of their respective
owners.

http://www2.ccnmatthews.com/scripts/ccn-release.pl?/current/0626082N.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/