Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Scanning NASCAR to change?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:00:16 -0400

Let the mis-information begin!

20,745 frequencies !

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Michael Martin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ScanAtlanta] Scanning NASCAR to change?

With as much money as Nextel is bribing, er, ah, contributing to the FCC
and
other government entities, I don't see where that could be much of a
problem.  Anyway, a Nextel would work just like a regular radio except
in
digital form.  They would have a "all call channel" like they do now and
they would just give the fans who have Nextel the code ID of it and they
could listen in.  Now, they would have to do a couple things.  Ensure
that
non-NASCAR teams cannot key up on it and most likely they would have to
set
up a temporary site in the infield (think about it, each team has a
minimum
of 15 radio's times 43 teams = 645 radios, plus another 50-100 for
NASCAR =
745 plus about 20,000 fans = 20,745 frequencies that would have to be
used.
Maybe another 15 sites?  For those of you who are not 100% familiar with
Nextel, it takes a separate frequency for EACH radio on a group call!).
Maybe simulcasting an a UHF frequency would make more sense.

/\/\|k.e

Michael B. Martin
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Alf Sauve" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 8:50 AM
Subject: Fw: Scanning NASCAR to change?

> Let's think this through.  They install some type of "nextel"
communications
> covering all aspect of the track, then they allow the fans to listen in.
> How?  Do you have to be a Nextel user?  Will they rent Nextel receivers?
> Will they let anybody in the country listen in?  Will you really be able
to
> "scan" or will you have to "dial" which team/operator you want to listen
> to?(like connecting to a listen-only conference call)  At what price?
Will
> it be "delayed"?
>
> Which brings up the interesting question.  Would this then not make them a
> "broadcaster"?  And would that be allowable by the FCC?
>
> Alf - W4ADS
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:26:13 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: Robert Williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Scanning NASCAR to change?

I don't think any of the race fans that use scanners to listen to the
drivers, their crews, etc. at the races have anything to worry about, at
least for a little while.  NEXTEL will have to get their act together
much better than what it is now in order for the racing teams to use
their system.  I was talking with a couple of public safety officials
from Henry
County about three weeks ago and they were telling me how they had
planned on using their NEXTEL phones and direct connect to communicate
with various command staff during the last race at Atlanta Motor
Speedway in Hampton.  They were telling me the NEXTEL System was
virtually useless because you couldn't get air time on due to the
extraordinary large number of people in the area of the raceway trying
to use the system.  To top it off, NEXTEL reportedly brought in two
portable sites, what they refer to as a Cell On Wheels (COW), to
"improve their system capabilities and capacity."  NOT!  Looks like they
miscalculated the number of users that would be on their system during
that time.  If NEXTEL maintains these types of service levels I'm sure
if the NASCAR folks switch to NEXTEL for communications it won't take
them long to switch back to the good old UHF conventional equipment.

Oh, and one other note about NEXTEL for those of you who might not
know.  Georgia District 3 EMS mandated that all ambulance service
providers and first responder agencies in Clayton, Cobb, Dekalb,
Douglas, Fulton, Gwinnett, Newton and Rockdale Counties be equipped with
a NEXTEL phone for interoperable two-way communications during a
disaster by May 1, 2003.  To my knowledge, just about every ambulance
service and fire department with first-responder/rescue vehicles in the
District III Region have acquired at least one NEXTEL phone which is
assigned to a command staff person to meet this "unfunded" mandate.  Oh
Lord, What is public safety communications in Georgia coming to?

Bob
Marietta, GA

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:59:27 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Mayson, John"
       :

> I attended a presentation by NEXTEL a few weeks ago and they are
> targeting public safety real hard, especially since they are offering the

Something I find a little frightening.  I know some PDs around here
augment their systems with Nextel.  But I wouldn't want my police, fire
fighters, etc. relying on them.

My corporate emergency response team uses them.  Nextel has been good
about addressesing dead spots, even installed repeaters inside our
building.  But we have missed or garbled calls just far too often.
Just last week a call went out about a chemical spill and no one
responded.  It turns out some of us did not get the call.  Sometimes when
I push the PTT button (Nextel copyrighted the term PTT, BTW) I get
nothing.  I have to press it a second or third time for the "chirp chirp
chirp" so I can start talking.  It's probably a total of five seconds, but
if I were a police officer getting shot at, it'd seem like eternity.

- --
John Mayson

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:45:30 -0000

-------- Original Message -------- 
From:"Mike Edwards"
Re:Scanning NASCAR to change?

I have been out of town for a week and unable to respond, I can only 
speak for Newton and Rockdale because I live there Rockdale has 100% 
coverage and Newton is at about 90%. There are differneces in the 
definition of "Coverage" when it comes to public safety
communications 
systems and commercial systems. 100% coverage in public safety 
ususally means it works in every building, basement, and rat hole 
anywhere in your jurisdiction, and commercial systems like Nextel
will claim 100% coverage if the handset will complete a call (even if 
you have to stop and stand outside your car to do it) I am well 
traveled in Newton county and haven't had to get out of the car yet.
I would love to see your updated coverage map, What was the source of 
this map? Possible to send me one??

Thanks
Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Williams
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: Scanning NASCAR to change?

I saw an updated coverage map for NEXTEL a few weeks back and I was 
totally shocked to see gaps where there was not coverage here in the 
metro Atlanta area.  District III EMS came down with the NEXTEL 
mandate that went into effect May 1 and three of the counties 
(Douglas, Newton and Rockdale) don't even have
NEXTEL