Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO Discounts Their Interference Database-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:06:45 -0400

In APCO's latest filing to the FCC:

* APCO Discounts Their Interference Database

* APCO Contends Interference Is under Reported

* APCO Debates Motorola's Technical Solution

* APCO Confirms previously reported revisions
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/7726)
to Appendix "F" of the "Scam Plan".

More Details:
http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514156682
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:02:11 -0400

Here is an excerpt from the revisions to the "Scam Plan" Appendix "F".
=========================================================================================================

Determination of the Local Median

The purpose of this paper is to propose a method of measurement to determine the
value of a desired signal median value over a prescribed area.  The goal is to
determine if a user has provided a prescribed median signal level sufficient to be
guaranteed resolution by local interferers without any additional system changes
on the victim's part in the post refarming environment.

This is being discussed in the Consensus Group to the 800 MHz Rebanding NPRM FCC
02-55 and is located in Appendix F.  This test is the key to gaining true
consensus as to signal levels and who pays.

Thought process and Consensus member inputs:
· The simpler the test, the better the chance that it will be used.
· It has to have a scientific basis.
· Results should be repeatable (although they may change over longer periods of
  time)
· After measured data collection is completed the benchmark values can be
  determined by software evaluation of the captured data.
· Testing should cause minimal disruption of commercial services and be conducted
  during periods of normal to high traffic conditions.

To minimize the number of tests, a first test to determine if additional tests
will even be required will be conducted.  It will measure the RSSI (C+I+N).  If
victim radios operate (unmutes) in the local area being tested, then it can be
concluded that the value of C is greater than (I+N). A test tone or some audio
signal should be provided so that the receiver unmute is verified. Since the
maximum difference between C and (I+N) has to be large enough to allow the radio
to unmute, then the error in measuring the composite will be less than
approximately 2 dB .  Therefore if the ensemble median exceeds the target value by
2 dB then the criterion has been met.  However, if it doesn't meet the target,
then a second test of (I+N) may be conducted to permit a more accurate
determination of the local median value of the desired signal.  If the median
value of C is within 2 dB of the target a second (I+N) test may be optionally
performed to determine that the value of (I+N) hasn't changed during the testing.

This sequence of tests allows a preliminary determination of the median desired
signal level without requiring base transmit frequencies from being taken out of
service.  More exhaustive troubleshooting testing may require that the interfering
emitters be turned off.  This normally requires late night testing and may not be
appropriate as the interfering emitters may not be active due to reduced traffic
loading during late night testing.  The (I+N) testing can be done during normal
business hours, as only one channel needs to be taken out of service on the
victim's system.

=============================================================================================================