Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 'Nextel must stop offering mobile phone services'

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:55:54 -0000

Monday, June 9, 2003
'Nextel must stop offering mobile phone services'

THE House Committee on Transportation and Communication has ordered 
the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to prohibit Nextel 
Communications Philippines Inc., now known as Next Mobile, from 
offering mobile phone services, and stick to trunk radio operation.

In a statement, administration Congressman Prospero Nograles said that 
in a hearing on Wednesday, the transportation and communications 
committee chaired by. Rep. Jacinto Paras, noted that NTC officials 
have not enforced its own ruling that Nextel is not a mobile cellular 
operator. Thus, the congressmen said that Nextel has been deceiving 
the public when it advertises itself as a cellular phone service 
provider.

Nograles, together with Northern Samar Rep. Charlin Abayon has sought 
the investigation of Nextel following reports that the telecoms firm 
violated constitutional limits on foreign ownership.

"During the hearing, it was clear that even the NTC acknowledges the 
fact that Nextel cannot operate cellular mobile phone services because 
it is a trunk radio operator," Nograles said.

He said that Nextel's provisional authority from NTC is a "closed user 
group" to operate trunk radio alone and was not sanctioned as a mobile 
phone service provider.

Nextel International Inc., an American company that has invested in 
Nextel, owns at least 80 percent of the latter, Nograles claims, even 
as it appears on paper that it owns merely 38 percent.

Nograles said the House committee has decided to summon officers of 
the ACCRA Investments, one of the Filipino shareholders of Nextel, 
RCBC Trust Division Officials, Bureau of Immigration and the American 
incorporators of Nextel to explain their sides in the next hearing.

-- Sheryll B. Casanova

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2003/jun/09/business/20030609bus12
.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/