Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel and NASCAR together forever ???

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:05:47 -0400

Sparkie,

You got the names close enough for government work...
It's Family Radio Service and General Mobile Radio Service.
Both are in the 463-468 MHz range and FRS is interleaved with GMRS, on
offset frequencies.  GMRS is licensed and higher power limits, FRS
isn't.  

Handset-wise, it's probably more than a chip because of frequency
differences, but someone who is a current technology RF designer should
call that one.  FRS units sell for about $40/pair, so I guess the mfg.
cost is between $3 - $5 ea.  ---Interesting idea---

Roger
___________

-----Original Message-----
From: sparkie_rf [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel and NASCAR together forever ???

> OK, I missed FRMS acronym school last week. What does it stand for?

Well I probably messed it up. There are two consumer walkie-talkie 
bands, Family Radio Services, General Radio Services, or something 
close to those names.

When I've chatted with other carriers they say at least half the 
motivation for pursuing PTT comes from the handset mfgs to drive 
more sales and perhaps a faster upgrade cycle.

So it occured to me that they could just embed a chip or two and the 
new phones would really be walkie-talkie's in the FRMS or GMRS(or 
whatever the hell these bands are called) bands. Any thoughts? How 
difficult? Sprint and Version could've sold these phones without the 
expense of any basestation upgrades. They could've flooded the youth 
market with sub $100 phones, I mean most kids are not making long-
distance calls, they talk to their buddies. Get them off the real 
network!!! How many construction sites are outside the range of 
nextel's limited coverage? etc.

Heck with all the backyard populist clamouring for ever more amounts 
of UNLICENSED spectrum, the CTIA should be looking for ways grab 
some of the goodies for themselves, free of charge, of course!!!

Now back to the ROCK, you said the nextel/mot demo went fairly well. 
But what's interesting is how did it compare with the 
QCOM/Lucent/NEXTWAVE/Digial Orchard 1xEV-DO demo in Las Vegas this 
past March? I mean 60kps is interesting, but its nothing compared to 
EV-DO!!! Any word helps?

PS. Anybody interested in NASCAR, needs to follow the JaySki blog.
http://jayski.thatsracin.com - general scuttlebut(sp?)
http://jayski.thatsracin.com/pages/stories.htm - new daily stories

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/