Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Tries To Streamline Tower Process

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:12:42 -0400

FCC Tries To Streamline Tower Process
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JUNE 9, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC is making good on FCC Chairman Michael Powell's
promise to more closely examine wireless tower environmental issues.

Today the commission issued a notice of proposed rulemaking to look at ways to
make placing communications towers on tribal lands and other historic places
more efficient and effective for all involved.

This NPR follows Powell's statement back in May that one of the commission's
priorities in the coming months was to address long-overdue regulations on
environmental issues and wireless communications.

In its notice today, the FCC proposed two alternative sets of rules--one developed
by a joint wireless industry/Native American Tribe/government working group and
one put together by United South and Eastern Tribes. The efforts look at ways
tower constructors should 'engage tribes and Native Hawaiian organizations' in a
consultative process.

The commission also details procedures to ensure compliance with the National
Historic Preservation Act; techniques to look at potential effects, identify and
evaluate historic sites; ways to request work on protected sites; and other
procedures.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=06/09/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/