Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PointShot Wireless: Rail Commuters Want Wireless Internet-Survey

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:29:12 -0400

FOR:  POINTSHOT WIRELESS

JUNE 19, 2003 - 09:01 ET

PointShot Wireless: Rail Commuters Want Wireless Internet-Survey

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--A recent survey of metro Toronto rail commuters has revealed that
over 50% of respondents said that they would derive great benefit from wireless
Internet access if it was available during their daily train trips to and from
work.  Further, the survey revealed that 50% of respondents spend some portion of
their commuting time working on their lap top computers or PDAs.

These figures are far higher than estimates made before the survey was conducted
and provide valuable insight into the commuter rail marketplace.
Sponsored by PointShot Wireless and Intel Canada, the survey of GO Transit
commuters was undertaken on April 10th of this year.  As part of the process,
7,000 flyers were distributed inviting commuters to take part in the on-line
survey.  Of that total, 800 individuals responded and filled out the survey
questionnaire.

PointShot Wireless is an Ottawa based firm that has developed wireless fidelity
(WiFi) technology that allows commuters to have high-speed Internet access via
their lap top computer or PDA while in motion on a train.  The company also has
plans to develop related technology that will facilitate high-speed wireless
Internet connections in other mobile and difficult to reach places.

According to Shawn Griffin, President and CEO of PointShot Wireless, the survey
clearly illustrates that most commuters see great benefit in having wireless
access on the train.  "We were more than pleasantly surprised by the numbers. 
Almost 88% of these commuters are taking the train four to five days a week and
they obviously feel they can put this time to good use with high speed Internet
access. The ability to get their information while on the train in the morning
makes them more productive when they arrive at work. Having all their email done
at the end of the day when they step off the train means more time for their own
activities and their families."

High-speed wireless will allow passengers access to the Internet while in
transit.  Commuters who filled out the survey listed email, browsing the web and
accessing corporate intranets as the top three applications they would use if they
had wireless Internet access on the train.  The survey also found that 70% of
commuters spend more than an hour a day traveling to and from work.
Doug Cooper, Country Manager, Intel Canada is also impressed by the survey. "57%
of people in this survey have laptops, and over 30% have wireless networks at home
or at work. These are remarkable results and validate the lifestyle benefits
supported by Intel Centrino Mobile Technology. Canadians want increased high-speed
access to the Internet at times and places that coincide with their daily
professional routines - like the commute to work."

GO Transit is an interregional public transit system, established to link Toronto
with the surrounding regions of the Greater Toronto Area.  The system, one of the
largest in North America, includes seven lines, 35 train sets, 53 stations and
records over 45 million rides per year.

About PointShot Wireless
Founded in 2002, PointShot Wireless enables simple, seamless and complete wireless
solutions in locations that were previously unreachable by high-speed networks.
The company's SolutionPoint(TM) family of products represents a unique
architecture that bridges 802.11 networks to next-generation wireless, cellular
and satellite networks, delivering a host of business and user applications.  The
company is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada. The SolutionPoint(TM) family includes
products for rail and bus operators, remote locations and instant hotspots.

For more information and to request a copy of the survey results
visit: www.PointShotWireless.com
-30-

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
PointShot Wireless
Shawn Griffin
(613) 228-0435
[email-masked]
or
Shaun Markey
(613) 728-9951
[email-masked]

http://www2.ccnmatthews.com/scripts/ccn-release.pl?/current/0619021N.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/