Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Congressional Hearing - Spectrum for First Responders]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:37:30 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [fr2] Congressional Hearing - Spectrum for First Responders

The Congressmen seemed to be very sharp. But no one could tell them how
much it would cost to put filters in existing radios to get rid of 800
Mhz interference.

The NEXTEL guy said that rebanding was the only solution and he was
immediately rebutted by a different testifier.

The NEXTEL guy also talked about $850M - "NEXTEL proposed to put the
dollars on the table to make that [rebanding] happen"

Someone said it will cost $50 per 800 radio to convert them to 700 Mhz.
But others seemed to indicate that 700 would be for hispeed data
mostly/only.

There was talk of using money from upcoming FCC auctions to fund public
safety equipment via a Trust Fund (slush fund).

I realized that there are 2 distinct processes underway in the TV
business - TV stations 63/64/68/69 are being cleared at 700 mhz for
public safety use. In addition, the VHF TV stations are being moved to
UHF.

The Michigan State TRS was designed for 97% mobile coverage and I think
they claimed that they have 95% coverage by using in car portables -
they didnt say if they used inside or outside of the car antennas.

There was a lot of talk about dead spots - but no talk about doubling.

The ham guy seemed to want to claim that hams are First Responders too.

Coordination conflicts with Canada were mentioned. The MI TRS guy said
he had no conflicts with Canada. (Obviously because Boondock County near
the border has few 800 users)

I think it was the FCC guy that said that digital TVs are in less than
1% of homes now

Overload and intermodulation are the biggest causes of 800 Mhz
interference per Mr ?Hall of the FCC

I will have to dig up the minutes of this meeting. Everyone should read
it.

They seem to be trying to fix a very technical problem without a lot of
technical expertise.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:33:55 EDT

> But others seemed to indicate that 700 would be for hispeed data

Umm........ I believe that the writer was a little confused.  I believe that 
the speaker was referring to retuning an 800 MHz radio to another 800 MHz 
channel.

Alan Tilles