Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Fly out Fridays?"

From: "Laura Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:53:27 -0000

Marcel:

I'm sorry but I worked at the FCC for 8 years -- many of those as a 
supervisor -- and I am totally unfamiliar with this term.  Just to 
confirm that things hadn't changed in the last 5 years since I left 
the Commission, I checked with my husband who is the Acting Chief of 
his Division and he too is totally unfamiliar with this term -- and 
the circumstances you describe surrounding it.  

If staff at the FCC wish to leave early on a Friday afternoon -- they 
turn a leave slip to their supervisor.  Unless an emergency has 
arisen, the supervisor will grant that leave and the staffer will 
leave at the desired time. If a meeting has been scheduled for that 
afternoon the meeting will go on without the staffer unless, as I 
said before, an emergency arises and the staffer is needed. A meeting 
with representatives of Nextel at this juncture would not constitute 
an emergency.  (If the item were finished and under review by the 8th 
floor -- then you might have an emergency -- but not now.)

So, your statement is completely inaccurate -- people at the FCC DO 
NOT "sneak" out on Friday afternoons.  They schedule leave and, if 
they have leave to take, are granted that leave.  More importantly, 
many of them work long and hard hours with little compensation -- and 
stay late not only on Fridays but on every other day of the week as 
well.  

And, just to clear something up, the staff at the FCC are some of the 
most hard working and dedicated folks I have ever had the privilege 
of working with.  I have never heard an ill word or comment from the 
WTB team working on the 800 MHz proceeding, despite this being a 
complex, convoluted mess.  Make no mistake, Michael Wilhelm and his 
team are some of the most consummate professionals to ever work at 
the FCC -- so please do not imply, infer or intimate that the WTB 
team is unhappy or dissatisfied because of this proceeding and that 
they are complaining to you.  I do not know who you heard from, but 
the WTB team drafting this item are some of the best engineers and 
attorneys at the FCC and have always behaved as the professionals 
that they are.

Laura

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Sean O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:28:48 -0400

I agree with Laura's sentiments regarding the FCC.

Although I have often been driven to frustration by them, they are an
extremely dedicated and very overworked group of professionals.  They also
are always in a position where they are being pounded by multiple mutually
exclusive and opposing viewpoints.  In particular, I have the utmost respect
for Michael Wilhelm, who's credentials, capabilities and dedication have
served to the benefit of Public Safety for years.

Sean

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:23:48 -0400

Noted-