Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Last-minute amendment may hurt spectrum relocation bill

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:25:32 -0400

Last-minute amendment may hurt spectrum relocation bill

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
June 26, 2003 1:05 PM EST

WASHINGTON—The Senate Commerce Committee may have killed the wireless industry’s
hopes of gaining much-desired frequencies in the 1700 MHz band when it amended a
bill that would allow the Pentagon to be reimbursed for vacating the desired
frequencies. 

The amendment would allow a digital broadcast satellite licensee to offer a
wireless Internet solution to rural America. The company in question, Northpoint
Technologies, has been in a long-running battle to offer its service, which uses
both satellite and terrestrial technology to offer wireless broadband access. The
amendment passed by a 13-8 roll call vote and then the underlying bill, which many
had thought would pass the committee without controversy, was sent to the Senate
floor. 

In addition to the wireless industry’s opposition to Northpoint getting its
license outside the auction process, the Northpoint amendment to the Commercial
Spectrum Enhancement Act, could have far-reaching consequences. 

Sen. John McCain, chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, said the Bush
administration had sent him a letter indicating it would oppose the spectrum
relocation trust fund legislation if it had any amendments attached to it. 

Even if the wireless industry is successful in stripping the Northpoint provision
from the relocation trust fund bill, it will have to do battle with Senate
appropriators who believe this legislation is an attempt by the Office of
Management and Budget to get money allocated outside the appropriations process. 

Sen. Ted Stevens, chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, warned the
issue would resurface when the relocation trust fund bill is debated on the Senate
floor. Stevens wants spectrum relocation funds to go the Treasury instead of going
directly to the Pentagon.

Source: http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14083

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
$50 - $100 gift card with digital cameras & camcorders $299 & up
Now you can have the digital camera or camcorder of your dreams, and a gift card to put towards a future purchase. Excludes select models.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/bHgiAD/FjRGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/