Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bubba Says:"I'll never call it Nextel Cup, never," -"It'll always and forever be Winston Cup until I die"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:29:12 -0400

Bubba Says:

"I'll never call it Nextel Cup, never," said Milton Wiley,attending Sunday's
Dodge/Save Mart 350 with
 his family from Bakersfield. "It'll always and forever be Winston Cup until I
die"

Hey Timmy- Some how I don't think Bubba will be "Direct Connecting" anyone one!

Timmy- "Can You Hear Bubba Now?"
==========================================================================================================
Dodge/Save Mart 350 notes: A series by any other
name ...

... doesn't sound as sweet as the good ol' Winston Cup to
some.

By Victor Contreras -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Monday, June 23, 2003

SONOMA -- Thirty-three years is hard to erase in just one news conference.

But that's what NASCAR fans were hit with when it was announced that Nextel
would become the title sponsor in 2004. The contract between tobacco company
R.J. Reynolds and the stock-car circuit ends after this season following a
successful and popular 33-year run.

Just don't expect die-hard
racing fans to accept a
newcomer into the family
business.

"I'll never call it Nextel Cup,
never," said Milton Wiley,
attending Sunday's
Dodge/Save Mart 350 with
his family from Bakersfield.
"It'll always and forever be
Winston Cup until I die."

NASCAR president Mike
Helton, who was in New
York on Thursday to
announce Nextel's
contract, says he
understands the fans'
frustrations.

"It is going to be hard to break away from the Winston Cup," Helton said. "But
the fans are pretty astute. They're quick studies, and Nextel will come on like
gangbusters. But none of us will ever forget the Winston Cup."

Food for thought -- So what do Winston Cup drivers eat before a big race? We go
directly to the team cooks and ask.

"Dale (Earnhardt Jr.) is a pretty simple guy," said Rick Hodges, cook for Dale
Earnhardt Inc. "He likes cheeseburgers and fries. He's also a big steak eater.
Steak and rice ... hold the potatoes."

Steve Covell, who cooks for Kenny Wallace, says his driver can't get enough
steak. "I put some special spices in there," Covell said. "We don't do a lot of
grease. We leave that for the cars."

The guy burning burgers outside the DeWalt trailer, who refused to identify
himself, said it wasn't his choice to cook for Matt Kenseth and his crew.

"Somebody's got to do it. I was just under the car, now I'm here elbow-deep in
burgers. What a life."

Supermarket deal -- Save Mart Supermarkets signed a multiyear agreement to
continue as title sponsor of the NASCAR race at Infineon Raceway, track officials
announced.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/6907551p-7857079c.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:04:51 -0700

Somebody tell Bubba he better get used to the idea Nextel (opps, NASCAR)
Racing is a slick east coast business enterprise now. He should have
been
in New York City to see the announcement. He isn't going to find any
grease
under the new people's fingernails or see them drinking beer in the pit
area (or anywhere else). Heck, they don't even drive themselves, they
have chauffeurs. 

Yep, it's all about big money and what Bubba thinks or says really
doesn't matter. They plan on replacing him with teenagers that like to
play video games on their Nextel phones during the races anyway.
And the closest Bubba will get to anyone in charge is to beg for that 
chauffeur's job, but Bubba would have to wear a suit and tie and that's 
probably not his style.

Can someone please call me on their Nextel phone and let me know where
there's some dirt track action this week end?

=======================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                        [Click Here!]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.