Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] "Fly out Fridays?"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:57:11 EDT

In a message dated 6/4/2003 1:02:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> >but the WTB team drafting this item are some of the best engineers and 
> >attorneys at the FCC and have always behaved as the professionals 
> >that they are. 
>  
>  
> 
> Do you really believe that? 
> 
> 

Actually, I believe that, too.  In several meetings that I've had with John 
Muletta, I was incredibly impressed at how fast he came up to speed on issues, 
how he has been able to spot important engineering, legal and business issues, 
how he asked insightful, challenging and probing questions of everyone, and 
how he has come up with some original thinking on problems (and the clients 
that I have taken with me agree).  All too often FCC meetings consist of going to 
the meeting, telling the staff person what your position is, and they thank 
you and its over.  However, John is totally engaged.  I do not take this 
position because I believe in anyway that he has a favorable position to anything 
that I've presented (nor do I think that it is butt kissing), but rather because 
I've rarely been so challenged by an FCC employee in such a thorough, 
intelligent, professional and responsible manner.  While I was initially skeptical 
when his appointment was announced, I am now a fan (and hopefully will remain 
one, but the jury's out on that one).  Perhaps, instead of criticizing, you 
might go meet with the man.

I have been equally impressed with how Michael Wilhelm (presently in charge 
of drafting the item for the Wireless Bureau), whom I didn't really know well 
before this proceeding, really seems to understand the complex technical issues 
here.  When I had a couple of SMR operators who have significant experience 
with interference with him, I sat back and watched a terrific exchange of 
information.  Also, in the Wireless Bureau working on the item, is Tom Stanley, and 
engineer whom I have known and respected for many years.  A totally 
down-to-earth, open and helpful person, he's always had time for me or my staff to 
answer questions on a variety of topics over the years.  And, at OET, I've been a 
fan of Bruce Franca and Julius Knapp for many years.  I may disagree with 
decisions that get made in various proceedings by some of these people (and 
increasingly I do as I believe private wireless has been increasingly given the 
shaft over time), but I nevertheless respect them.

More importantly, by highlighting unfortunate actions by a couple of people 
in the organization, you paint the entire organization with a broad brush and 
denigrate everyone.  Your statement "Just as with any business there are going 
to be "Bad Apples", being  familiar with all prohibited practices that occur 
within the FCC is a task too big for FCC Legal Counsel , Acting Chiefs, 
Commissioners and even OIG," gives people the unfortunate impression that there is 
rampant "prohibited practices" at the FCC, when in fact its just like any other 
company which employs several hundred people.  There are good people, bad 
people, hard working people, lazy people, bright people, not so bright people, 
people trying to get ahead, people putting in their time, people that work a ton 
of uncompensated overtime, people that watch the clock, people that take work 
home, and people that take home things to work.  That doesn't make the FCC 
different, it makes them like every other business of this size.

My feelings and impressions do not come from having worked at the FCC, and 
therefore maybe owing some duty of loyalty in anyway, but rather from dealing 
with these people on issues for 20 years.  I'd lay down my life for some of the 
people that I've worked with in Gettysburg, yet there's other FCC staff people 
that I hope retire very soon.  For example, when the FCC changed it channel 
frequency centers in the Broadcast Auxillary Service about 15 years ago, I had 
no use for the FCC people that told me two years after the change because law 
that my client couldn't apply for the new frequencies because the computer 
software to issue the licenses hadn't been re-written yet (and I only pick that 
example because it was so long ago).  However, this is the exception, not the 
rule.

I recognize that this will in no way change your opinion (in fact, will 
probably have the opposite effect).  However, I am more concerned that people 
reading what you write may be misled about the Commission as a whole.

Alan Tilles

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:08:48 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Perhaps, instead of criticizing, you might go meet with the man.

You must have the wrong font on you PC.

Please show me where I criticized him?

I simply asked: "Do you really believe that?"

>
>
> I have been equally impressed with how Michael Wilhelm (presently in charge of
> drafting the item for the Wireless Bureau), whom I didn't really know well
> here.  When I had a couple of SMR operators who have significant experience with
> interference with him, I sat back and watched a terrific exchange of
> information.  Also, in the Wireless Bureau working on the item, is Tom Stanley,
> and engineer whom I have known and respected for many years.  A totally
> down-to-earth, open and helpful person, he's always had time for me or my staff
> to answer questions on a variety of topics over the years.  And, at OET, I've
> been a fan of Bruce Franca and Julius Knapp for many years.  I may disagree with

Do you work for Mullen also?

>
>
> More importantly, by highlighting unfortunate actions by a couple of people in
> the organization, you paint the entire organization with a broad brush and
> denigrate everyone.

"A couple of people?"  OIG has investigated more than  "A couple of people". I
have not painted with a "broad brush and denigrate everyone" if anyone thinks that
they are sadly mistaken. That's like saying everyone at Nextel is a crook, I have
quite a few associates at Nextel and think they are knowledgeable, bright and
honest.

> Your statement "Just as with any business there are going to be "Bad Apples",
> being  familiar with all prohibited practices that occur within the FCC is a
> task too big for FCC Legal Counsel , Acting Chiefs, Commissioners and even OIG,"
> gives people the unfortunate impression that there is rampant "prohibited
> practices" at the FCC, when in fact its just like any other company which
> employs several hundred people.

Where did I say  there were "rampant prohibited practices" at the FCC"??
Read what is in "Black & White" Consular.

> There are good people, bad people, hard working people, lazy people, bright
> people, not so bright people, people trying to get ahead, people putting in
> their time, people that work a ton of uncompensated overtime, people that watch
> the clock, people that take work home, and people that take home things to
> work.  That doesn't make the FCC different, it makes them like every other
> business of this size.
>

I Agree

> example because it was so long ago).  However, this is the exception, not the

 "I'd lay down my life for some of the people that I've worked with in
Gettysburg"-

You are in the wrong business-

>
>
> I recognize that this will in no way change your opinion (in fact, will probably
> have the opposite effect).

Which opinion is that?