Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IACP INFO

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:14:12 -0400

IACP INFO--BIWEEKLY E-MAIL NEWSLETTER
#84 June 18, 2003 

PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE
NEW CHIEF MENTORING: RAPID RESPONSE TEAM (RRT)
ANNUAL CONFERENCE
LEGISLATIVE
TRAINING 
CALENDAR
JOBS

PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE: The IACP Foundation

The ability of law enforcement executives to develop, oversee, and direct
innovative research and the implementation of innovative policing concepts has
often been hindered by limited resources and by the daily complexity of managing a
law enforcement agency. As a result, the strong desire of law enforcement leaders
to remain current with best practices and to introduce progressive methods in the
art and science of policing has often been challenged by fiscal and operational
realities.

In response to this need, the IACP Foundation was created to assist the law
enforcement community by locating, securing, and making available revenue and
resources to ensure that the information and materials needed to support today's
police chief are available and that the means to implement effective strategies
for increasing public safety are within reach. 

http://www.theiacp.org/documents/index.cfm?fuseaction=document&document_id=460

NEW CHIEF MENTORING: RAPID RESPONSE TEAM (RRT)

This is a new IACP Research Center project for smaller police agencies--those with
25 or fewer officers serving 25,000 or fewer population. 

Newly appointed or selected police chiefs in cities and towns across America face
substantial and complex challenges as they take on their new assignment. The
manner in which issues are successfully resolved or unsuccessfully negotiated is
carefully noted by decision-makers, citizens and agency employees. This initial
performance period sets the tone for the remainder of the chief's tenure-with a
strong start ensuring solid support for future actions, and a weak start ensuring
tepid support, or lack of support entirely. 

The underlying principal of the RRT project is rapid, on-site, expert support to
newly installed chiefs. Essentially a "SWAT" (special weapons and tactics)
approach where significant and expert resources are deployed in an emergency
fashion to meet the new chief's needs. The following project approach is
envisioned: 

48-hour RR approach: IACP will, when possible, dispatch a technical assistance
team to the requesting chief's department within 48 hours of that request. This
approach can be on-site or electronic, based upon need. 

Triage: RRT staff and mentors will be trained to look for immediate issues that
can be addressed while they are on site. 

100 day design- what must be accomplished: RRT staff and mentors will focus on a
'100 days' strategy with the new chief, selecting out a set of accomplishments
that if completed, will ensure a stable, productive and supportive environment for
the chief as he or she settles into their role. 

Using a "top ten" approach- most urgent issues first: RRT mentors will help the
new chief identify, prioritize and begin developing approaches to address the top
ten most urgent issues he or she will face in the first 12 months of their
administration. 

Use of mentor concept: A RRT mentor will be less directive, and much more Socratic
in approach, seeking to allow the chief to articulate his or her concerns, and
helping the chief then prioritize and think through solutions in a collaborative
environment.

Mentor Chiefs: The individuals who go on-site will be veteran chiefs (minimum ten
years leadership experience) of smaller departments, similar to the requesting
site in population served and number of sworn officers. The first group of mentor
chiefs will also be a project advisor in the IACP Smaller Department project. 

If you are interested in either the RRT technical assistance or in being a mentor,
contact Project Coordinator Elaine Deck: 800-843-4227 ext. 262 or
[email-masked] 

ANNUAL CONFERENCE

Get all the information you need about the annual conference:
http://theiacp02.expoexchange.com/

Register now for the IACP Annual Conference in Philadelphia, PA:
https://secure.matrixgroup.net/theiacp.org/conference/annual/registration/index.cfm

LEGISLATIVE

Capitol Report: Vol 2 No 12 (6/13/03)

* Subcommittee Approves Homeland Security Funding
* Subcommittee Approves Victims' Rights Amendment
* NTSB Urges Ban on Cell Phones by New Drivers
* Under the Dome
* Committee Approves ONDCP Reauthorization Bill
* Ridge Discusses Concerns With Threat Alert System
http://www.theiacp.org/documents/pdfs/CapitolReport/ACF487D.pdf

TRAINING 

July 2003
(shows start dates)

07/07/2003 Police/Medical Investigation of Death (Miami, FL) 
07/09/2003 Internal Affairs: Legal and Operational Issues (Everett, WA) 
07/14/2003 Advanced Internal Affairs: Proactive Steps for Corruption Prevention
(Everett, WA) 
07/14/2003 Excellence in the FTO Program (Minneapolis, MN) 
07/16/2003 Criminal Investigative Techniques II (Sandy, UT) 
07/17/2003 Managing the Internal Affairs Unit (Everett, WA) 
07/21/2003 Ethical Standards in Police Service (Las Vegas, NV) 
07/24/2003 Advanced Grant Writing and Management (St Louis, MO) 
07/28/2003 SWAT Supervision and Management (Richland, WA) 
07/28/2003 Organizing and Managing Small Agency and Area SWAT (Centerville, OH) 
07/30/2003 Multi-Agency Incident Management for Law Enforcement (Lake Zurich, IL) 
07/30/2003 Critical Incident Management (Edgewater, CO) 
07/30/2003 Value-Centered Leadership: A Workshop on Ethics, Values and Integrity
(Buffalo Grove, IL) 
07/31/2003 Managing the New Breed: Generation X in Law Enforcement (Springdale,
AR) 

http://www.theiacp.org/Training/Courses/index.cfm

See printable version of training organized by month:
http://www.theiacp.org/Training/2003monthlytrainingcalendar.pdf

CALENDAR

June 28 University and College Police Section Mid-Year Meeting
July 11 - July 13 9th Annual DRE Section's Training Conference on Impaired Driving
July 27 - July 29 3rd South American Executive Policing Conference, Belo
Horizonte, Brazil
July 28-30 Local Response to Terrorism: Lessons Learned from the 9-11 Pentagon
Attack
August 15 - August 16 Financial Review Committee
August 15 - August 16 IACP Board of Officers
August 15 - August 16 IACP Executive Committee
August 25 - August 26 Conference on Assessment Centers and Selection Issues
September 23 - September 25 NIJ Technologies for Public Safety in Critical
Incident Response Conference and Exhibition
October 19 - October 20 State and Provincial Police (S&P) Annual Meeting
October 20 Financial Review Committee
October 20 - October 25 IACP Board of Officers
October 21 - October 25 110th Annual IACP Conference: Law Enforcement Education
and Technology Exposition (Philadelphia, PA)
October 24 Executive Committee
http://www.theiacp.org/calendar/

JOBS

Looking for a position, or want to post an opening at your agency? Do it all on
the IACP Website's Jobs page--for free!

Recent job postings include the following--but check the website for more,
non-chief positions:

* Chief Information Officer, Los Angeles, CA
* Chief of Police, Clarendon Hills, IL
* Chief of Police, Waynesboro, VA
* Communications Manager, Green Bay, WI
* Police Chief, Champaign, IL
* Police Chief, Eugene, OR
* Police Chief, Rindge, NH

Many more are listed on the website.

Check out the new date range on the job posting feature!
http://www.theiacp.org/jobs/jobsindex.cfm

Remember: You can submit job listings for free!
http://www.theiacp.org/jobs/jobsindex.cfm?fuseaction=job_input

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/