Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Gets Patent Office OK For PTT Registration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:43:25 -0400

Nextel Gets Patent Office OK For PTT Registration

BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
JUNE 20, 2003

Nextel Communications Inc. is on a roll. Today the company announced the U.S. 
Patent and Trademark Office approved the registration of its trademark for its
'Push To Talk' service. Yesterday, the National Association for Stock Car Auto
Racing said Nextel would become the official title sponsor of its NASCAR national
series, replacing the long-time Winston Cup brand.

Nextel says the trademark application process began in January 2002 and addresses
a concept it pioneered for more than 10 years. Also known as Direct Connect, the
PTT service refers to the walkie talkie-like feature that allows users to talk to
others with the push of one button.

Other mobile operators plan to offer an instant chat type of service later this
year, but during a panel discussion at the CeBIT America trade show in New York
this week, it was clear operators' strategies differ. For example, a Verizon
Wireless representative said the company views it as a complement to the total
package offering, while a Sprint rep called it a 'critical application' for its
network.
Nextel shares were up about 2 percent today, trading at $17.66 at mid-day EST.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=06/20/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/