Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fort Wayne eyes improved fingerprint-collection system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:25:19 -0400

Fort Wayne eyes improved fingerprint-collection system

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - Police will be able to transfer fingerprint data from
patrol cars directly into department computers if city officials approve the
purchase of a wireless broadband system.
The system would allow investigators to transmit fingerprints from crime scenes
directly into the city's fingerprint system, allowing investigators to have
positive identification of suspects while evidence is still fresh, Fort Wayne
Police Chief Rusty York said.

Officers will be able to send and receive data by driving within 300 to 400 yards
of a police station, said Stan Adams of Indiana Data Center, the broadband
provider that would help create the system.
The ability to write reports from the field will also let officers spend more time
on patrol instead of returning to the police station to file paperwork.

The City Council is expected to consider an ordinance approving the project
Tuesday.
The project would be funded in part with a $318,000 grant from the federal
government. Remaining costs would be paid from the police department's budget.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2003-06-17-fingerprints_x.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/