Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FAA studying airline use of wireless devices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:18:22 -0400

FAA studying airline use of wireless devices

June 25, 2003
 1:45 PM EST

WASHINGTON—The Federal Aviation Administration is working with a technical
advisory group to study interference issues and commercial implications associated
with the use of new wireless devices and other portable electronic gadgets on
airplanes.

RTCA, - http://www.rtca.org/ - previously known as the Radio Technical Commission
for Aeronautics, will complete a short-term assessment of existing technologies
this November and finish a longer-term review by October 2005. 

The Federal Communications Commission bans cell-phone use on airborne planes, a
restriction supported by the FAA. However, companies are anxious to give airline
passengers access to a new generation of wireless and high-tech products and
services—many of which emit radio frequency energy that could disrupt airplane
electronic systems.

 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14060

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/