Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Fly Out Friday"??? The F.C.C. is overridden - "like locusts, really" said Mr. Lewis -

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:43:01 -0400

"Fly Out Friday"??? 

<Snip>

They network. They party. And they will tell you they are not influenced at all by
this wonderful treatment.
The F.C.C. is overridden - "like locusts, really" said Mr. Lewis -

<snip>

"This shows us just how close, how incestuous, the industry and its regulating
agency are," said Charles Lewis, the center's executive director.

<snip>
Can you say conflict of interest? Can you imagine how maybe - just maybe - the
interests of ordinary men and women, who don't have the money or the entree to
lobby the F.C.C. and entertain its staffers, could be overlooked? How about
trampled?

===============================================================================================================

June 5, 2003

Cozy With the F.C.C.
By BOB HERBERT

The latest government giveaway to big business came Monday when the Federal
Communications Commission eased a number of media ownership restrictions that had
been designed to enhance competition, foster independence and provide the public
with a wider variety of views and perspectives across the media landscape.

What we will get instead is a further consolidation of news and entertainment
outlets under the control of a handful of giant corporations. The assets and the
tremendous power of these media biggies were enhanced - and the interests of the
viewing, listening and reading public were eroded - by the controversial 3-to-2
vote of the F.C.C. commissioners.

This was, understandably, a big story. Not so widely covered was an interesting
and enlightening study by the Center for Public Integrity on the "cozy"
relationship between F.C.C. officials and the telecommunications and broadcasting
industries they are supposed to be regulating.

The center examined the travel records of F.C.C. employees and found that over the
last eight years, commissioners and staff members have taken 2,500 trips costing
$2.8 million that were "primarily" paid for by members of the telecommunications
and broadcast industries.

Can you say conflict of interest? Can you imagine how maybe - just maybe - the
interests of ordinary men and women, who don't have the money or the entree to
lobby the F.C.C. and entertain its staffers, could be overlooked? How about
trampled?

"This shows us just how close, how incestuous, the industry and its regulating
agency are," said Charles Lewis, the center's executive director.

According to the study:

"The top destination was Las Vegas, with 330 trips. Second was New Orleans, with
173 trips. And third was New York, with 102 trips." Other "popular" destinations
were London (98 trips), San Francisco, Palm Springs, Buenos Aires and Beijing.

I wish I could tell you this was unusual. But the fact is that many government
agencies accept millions of dollars annually from industries and other special
interests for trips to meetings, conferences, retreats, whatever. The government
beneficiaries of this largess are frequently wined and dined in luxurious
settings. 

They network. They party. And they will tell you they are not influenced at all by
this wonderful treatment.
The F.C.C. is overridden - "like locusts, really" said Mr. Lewis - by lobbyists
and top industry executives. Control of the nation's airwaves, which is the most
direct and effective way of controlling how we think and feel and vote and spend
our cash, is one of the great prizes America has to offer. Each opportunity to
grab additional control is seized upon ferociously by the big media honchos.

The Center for Public Integrity reported that there were more than 70 closed-door
meetings in recent months between F.C.C.  officials and representatives of the
nation's top broadcasters, including very powerful chief executives, to discuss
the relaxation of media ownership restrictions, the key issue that was voted on
Monday.
The two major groups that represented the public on this issue were Consumers
Union and the Media Access Project.

Representatives of those groups met just five times with F.C.C. officials.

A particularly revealing moment occurred Sunday, the day before the vote, on the
ABC program "This Week." During an interview with F.C.C. chairman, Michael Powell,
the moderator, George Stephanopoulos, noted that a survey of 500,000 comments on
the F.C.C. Web site showed that more than 97 percent "were opposed to the new
rules."

"Doesn't that make you wonder," Mr. Stephanopoulos asked, "whether you might be
misreading the public interest here?"

Mr. Powell said he didn't think so. He said the F.C.C. had "taken those comments
into deep consideration." He even said, "I think that they're valid."

Oh? "But unfortunately," said Mr. Powell, "as you can understand, most of the
comments are `I'm not for consolidation.' Well, Mike Powell is not for
consolidation either. But that is not the specific task we have before us." You
can understand that, can't you?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/