Subject: [NEXTEL-1] interWave Expects To Receive Contract In Iraq Quickly-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:45:15 -0400

interWave Expects To Receive Contract In Iraq Quickly-

Companies Prepare To Enter Iraq
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
JUNE 1, 2003

While critics questioned the wisdom of the government's contract with MCI,
formerly WorldCom, to build a mobile network in Iraq, many other companies
were relieved when the U.S. government and United Nations finally lifted
sanctions on Iraq.

One of those is interWave Communications International, a Silicon Valley-based
specialist in rapidly deploying commercial cellular networks in hard-to-reach
regions. Even though interWave doesn't have a contract yet to build a network in
Iraq, it expects to get one quickly. "We are excited about the opportunity," said
Bill Carlin, COO and senior vice president at interWave, shortly before last
month's U.N. vote.

Carlin says interWave's architecture is ideal for such set-ups because operators
can start small and add capacity as subscribers come on board. The company
boasts experience in areas as diverse as China and the Congo-dropping its
team of seasoned project managers and systems engineers into remote regions
of the world. "We have done everything from Somalia to Afghanistan," Carlin
says.

Initially, Iraq's systems likely will include GSM and wireless local loop.
However,
interWave has expanded its architecture for CDMA as well, so it could delve into
the CDMA space in regions where that technology makes sense.

The GSM vs. CDMA controversy arose once again when Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.,
sponsored a bill that would have required the U.S. government to deploy a
CDMA-based network in Iraq. CDMA technology vendor Qualcomm is based in his
district. The GSM Association, meanwhile, applauded the GSM contract to MCI.

interWave, which last month announced its intentions to open a sales, network
engineering and customer support office in Baghdad, will work with third-party
suppliers, satellite and microwave companies and others as part of its work in the
region.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA302478&spacedesc=Departments&stt=000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/