Subject: [NEXTEL-1] What's New @ IEEE in Communications, June 2003]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:12:29 -0400

IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE EXAMINES IP-ORIENTED NETWORK SCALABILITY
Following the extraordinary growth of the Internet and the resulting rapid
increase in the number of Internet nodes, network scalability has become a
crucial consideration for network managers, according to a feature in the
IEEE Communications Magazine. The June issue contains a special feature on
the scalability of IP-oriented networks and presents five carefully
selected, peer-reviewed papers on the topic, including:
- "Scalability and Quality of Service: A Trade-off?"
- "Forwarding State Scalability for Multicast Provisioning in IP Networks"
- "Proportional Differentiation: A Scalable QoS Approach"
- "Switched Optical Backbone for Cost-Effective Scalable Core IP Networks"

 IEEE ANNOUNCES NEW OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS & NETWORKING SUPPLEMENT
Beginning in the second half of 2003, the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in
Communications (J-SAC) will be supplemented each year by two or more issues
dedicated solely to the rapidly growing area of optical communications and
networking (OCN). The J-SAC OCN Series Editor, Vincent W.S. Chan, invites
authors to submit manuscripts for consideration. Each manuscript submission
will be reviewed by at least three experts and evaluated by an editorial
board dedicated to the optical communications and networking area. For
details (Adobe Acrobat Reader required):
<http://www.comsoc.org/headlines/pdf/OpComNet_cfp.pdf>

 BELFAST HOSTS IEEE MANAGEMENT OF MULTIMEDIA NETWORKS CONFERENCE
The IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Management of Multimedia Networks
and Services (MMNS) will hold its sixth annual meeting from 7 to 10
September 2003 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. MMNS deals with all aspects of
designing, developing and deploying networked multimedia systems and serves
as a forum for the dissemination of state-of-the-art research and
development results. The keynote speaker, Professor Ian Akyildiz of the
Georgia Institute of Technology, will present a vision of future
interplanetary network architectures. In addition, Professor Derek McAuley,
head of Intel's recently formed laboratory at Cambridge, UK, will describe
some of the new research being undertaken on global overlay networks and
applications. To register, visit:
<http://ee-server.ee.qub.ac.uk/dsp/mmns2003/>

More essential IEEE telecommunications conferences:
- 2003 IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference (RAWCON), 10 to 13 August,
Boston, MA USA <http://rawcon.org/>
- 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications, 21 to 24 September,
Penang, Malaysia <http://apcc2003.upm.edu.my/>
- IEEE/AFCEA Military Communications Conference (MILCOM 2003), 13 to 16
October, Boston, MA USA <http://www.milcom2003.org/>

 PROCEEDINGS OF NETWORK COMPUTING CONFERENCE RELEASED
The proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Network
Computing and Applications (NCA-03) are now available from the IEEE Online
Catalog & Store. Topics from April's conference include Web caching and
switching, broadcasting and multicasting, group communications, network
security, dependable network computing, performance modeling and QoS in
computer networks, and much more. For more information, or to purchase,
visit:
<http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=PR1938>

CABLE COMPANIES COMPETE FOR U.S. LOCAL PHONE MARKETS
The AOL Time Warner, Comcast and Cablevision cable systems have all begun
to launch local services across the U.S. that deliver voice services over
cable modem links as lower-priced alternatives to the regional Bell
operating companies (RBOCs). Time Warner Cable seems to be leading the
charge with the release of a voice-over-IP service to customers in
Portland, Maine. Could this be the start of the next big wave of industry
upheaval? Read on:
<http://news.com.com/2100-1037_3-1008962.html>

 HOW TO SELECT THE RIGHT WIRELESS BROADBAND SOLUTION
A recent article from CommsDesign.com discusses the various wireless
broadband options that are available for organizations and offers some
guidance to help engineers select the right solution for their particular
network. The article suggests solutions for home and hotspot networks,
short-range, high-capacity networks, wide-area outdoor coverage and other
network types.
<http://www.commsdesign.com/design_corner/OEG20030516S0030>

 IEEE TO CO-CHAIR EWEEK 2004
The IEEE and Fluor Corporation have been named as steering committee
co-chairs for the 2004 U.S. National Engineers Week (EWEEK), which will run
22 to 28 February. The IEEE, whose efforts are coordinated through
IEEE-USA, last chaired EWEEK in 1992, when it helped launch the annual
Future City Competition (FCC). The FCC challenges seventh- and eighth-grade
students to present their vision of a city of the future. Plans for 2004
include supporting expansion of FCC to three new U.S. cities, providing a
framework to enable FCC's future fundraising efforts, and also to leverage
the IEEE's projects relating to precollege education. Visit the EWEEK web
site at:
<http://www.eweek.org>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/