Subject: [NEXTEL-1] German Airport Pioneers Different Wi-Fi Access Model

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:22:30 -0400

German Airport Pioneers Different Wi-Fi Access Model

While Wi-Fi providers scramble for premium locations, and usage per
hotspot remains low, Munich International Airport is exploring a
different model. Flughafen Munchen GmbH, has deployed its own
network of Cisco Systems [Nasdaq: CSCO] Wi-Fi gear that allows
users to connect to their choice of ISP. Instead of having several
operators providing overlapping coverage, or forcing travelers to
use one exclusive provider, the airport will run its own portal.

The system will provide free access to local information -- flight
delays, etc. -- and feature a drop down window of participating
ISPs for users who want to go outside to the larger Internet. The
shared network idea is apparently picking up steam in Europe.
Three French mobile operators, Orange, Bouygues Telecom and
SFR are reportedly preparing to deploy a shared Wi-Fi network to
serve their respective customers.

http://www.TelecomWeb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/