Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Train Engineer Crashes While Talking on Cellphone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:15:50 -0400

Cell phone cited in train crash

6/9/03

A report from the USA's National Transportation Safety Board concluded that the
engineer of a Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) coal train was distracted by
making a cell phone call when he was supposed to be stopping his train and caused
a head-on collision with a BNSF intermodal train, carrying hundreds of metal cargo
containers. The engineer of the intermodal train was killed in the collision after
he jumped from the train, but was hit by debris from the crash.

The Safety Board cited the probable cause in its report on a May 28, 2002
collision of an eastbound BNSF coal train and a westbound BNSF intermodal train
near Clarendon, Texas. Also noted in the probable cause was the train conductor's
failure to ensure that the engineer complied with track warrant restrictions.

Through its investigation the Safety Board determined that the coal train engineer
was talking on his cell phone when his train passed the stopping point indicated
in the track warrant. The Board concluded that the engineer's cell phone use
likely distracted him and he did not take proper note of the after-arrival
stipulation and therefore did not stop his train.

As a result the Board issued a recommendation to the Federal Railroad
Administration (FRA) to amend regulations to control the use of cell phones and
other personal wireless devices by railroad operators while on duty. "Safety is
the primary responsibility of any vehicle operator and this responsibility demands
the full and undivided attention of the person at the controls," said Chairman
Ellen Engleman when reading the Board's recommendation, "Issuing these
recommendations is not enough - implementation is the key."

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9015.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/