Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Amateur enforcement- Da Hammer!

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:22:24 -0000

Amateur enforcement
Source: QST
Publication date: 2003-06-01
Arrival time: 2003-06-11

FCC official requests weekly reports from Maine ham: The FCC's Boston 
office has requested a Maine amateur to submit weekly reports 
detailing some of his on-the-air activities. FCC Boston District 
Director Vincent F.  Kajunski wrote Glenn Baxter, K1MAN, on March 4. 
Kajunski said the FCC needed the information to determine if Baxter 
was operating in compliance with Part 97 and with rules regarding 
recording and broadcasting of telephone calls.

"Your Amateur Radio station is apparently being used for broadcasting 
various 'programs,' 'talk shows,' children's shows and programs
having nothing to do with Amateur Radio," Kajunski's letter asserted.
Kajunski also alleged that transmissions from Baxter's station "start 
and end erratically, are sometimes repetitive and abruptly end with
no identification as required by Commission rules." Such operation,
he said, indicates the transmissions " are not under the control of a 
licensed operator."

Kajunski told Baxter the weekly reports should-among other 
specifics-provide the name, address, telephone number and exact 
location of the control operator and the method of station control 
used when K1MAN transmits. He also requested dates, times and 
frequencies of broadcasts of telephone conversations; transmissions 
referencing the offer of a degree in electronics or an IARN 
(International Amateur Radio Network) credit card; transmissions 
referencing the IARN Web site; and transmissions soliciting donations 
of radio equipment or other items, including donations to "the Radio 
Peace Corps Foundation."

Kajunski further asked that Baxter provide information on the alleged 
transmission of an "apparently continuous 'CQ' loop that the FCC says 
aired at approximately 10-second intervals for more than two hours on 
February 3, 2003, on 20-meter SSB."

The FCC also seeks from K1MAN a list of dates, length of time and 
frequencies "during which your amateur station has operated since 
February 15, 2002, without you at the transmitter location. "If any, 
Kajunski asked for the name and address of the control operator, the 
location of the control operator and control point and the method of 
control used.

"Enhanced SSB" bandwidth "extremely inconsiderate," FCC says: The FCC 
has sent advisory notices to four enthusiasts of what's become known 
as "enhanced SSB"-the practice of engineering transmitted 
single-sideband audio to approach broadcast quality. Letters went out 
April 3 to amateurs in Illinois, Florida and New Jersey who are 
aficionados of enhanced SSB, also known as "extended bandwidth SSB."
"The Commission has received numerous complaints regarding the 
operation of your station," FCC Special Counsel Riley Hollingsworth 
wrote the four licensees on April 3. Hollingsworth said complaints to 
the FCC alleged that the bandwidths of the stations' enhanced SSB 
emissions were "wider than necessary and contrary to good engineering 
practice."

"Wideband overly-processed audio, especially when coupled with the 
high intermodulation levels of certain amplifiers, results in the use 
of bandwidths extremely inconsiderate of other operators," 
Hollingsworth said. Such transmissions may violate FCC rules and may  
be at odds with what Hollingsworth described as "the expectation that 
the Amateur Service be largely self regulated."

Occupying more bandwidth than necessary in a heavily used amateur 
band, Hollingsworth wrote, is contrary to the requirement that 
amateurs cooperate in using the frequencies allocated to them and
make the most effective use of the spectrum. Such "shortsightedness" 
on the part of those transmitting enhanced SSB signals not only could 
lead to ill will among operators but to petitions asking the FCC to 
establish  bandwidth limits for amateur emissions. The FCC imposes no 
specific bandwidth limits on various amateur modes, however.

Hollingsworth cited [sec]97.307(a) of the Amateur Service rules that 
requires the signal of an amateur station to not occupy "more 
bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emission type 
being transmitted, in accordance with good amateur practice." Some 
amateurs have complained that enhanced SSB signals can take up 8 kHz 
or more of spectrum, cause splatter and unnecessarily interfere with 
other stations.

Hollingsworth acknowledged that the FCC encourages amateurs to 
contribute to the advancement of the radio art, but he recommended 
that the enhanced SSBers do so in a way "that does not have a
negative impact on other amateur stations or their operations." He 
requested the four amateurs to "fully review the rules" and make sure 
their stations conform to them.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=39406343&ID
=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3ARegulations&
Publication date: 2003-06-01

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:30:39 -0400

The Maine Moron continuuuuuuuues.

This is a procedural effort to get Baxter's license.  If you don't believe
this guy is out of his mind, check out his webpages.  You too can get a
credit card through his fake radio club.!

I still think the Commission needs to receive a copy of a person's mental
fitness evaluation and an IQ test result prior to allowing anyone to take a
ham test.  It's getting just too silly for me.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: marcel_rf1 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 7:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Amateur enforcement- Da Hammer!

Amateur enforcement
Source: QST