Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Pitched as Time Saver

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:55:56 -0400

Wi-Fi Pitched as Time Saver

Some 250 Detroit area business and civic execs attended a seminar in Detroit put
on by Intel Corp. and 16 other companies, such as Cisco, Linksys, IBM and
Microsoft, designed to promote the virtues of 802.11 Wi-Fi service. The purpose of
the seminars was to convince corporations to buy laptops running Intel's new
Centrino technology.

============================================================
MIKE WENDLAND: Companies pitch wireless as way to save time, cash

June 27, 2003

BY MIKE WENDLAND
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Some 250 Detroit area business and civic execs were given a not-so-subtle sell
this week on why their outfits should go Wi-Fi.

They attended a seminar put on by Intel Corp. and 16 other companies like Cisco,
Linksys, IBM and Microsoft. The companies, of course, have a vested interest in
getting businesses to buy new laptop computers. 150 employees, says Intel, that
works out to something like $1 million in direct benefits over a three-year
period.

How are employees using wireless? For instant messaging with bosses and coworkers
over the corporate network, for instant research in the conference room or access
to files on the desktop from other parts of the office, and to respond immediately
to critical customer e-mail while in meetings.

The purpose of the seminars was to convince corporations to buy laptops running
Intel's new Centrino Wi-Fi system. With nearly two-thirds of all corporate
computers three or more years old, Intel pointed out that today's computers are
six times faster than 1999-era PCs and that in business, increased speed usually
means increased productivity.

The computer industry is clearly trying to jump-start sales. Almost 100 Detroit
companies sent representatives, including all of the big automobile companies and
suppliers as well as outfits like Kmart Corp., Syntel Inc. and Gemini Financial
Services.

State Senate passes anti-spam bill

Michigan's proposed anti-spam legislation is still moving speedily along.
This week the Senate unanimously passed SB 357, known as the Electronic Mail
Solicitation Act. It would allow Web users to list their e-mail address on a
do-not-spam list within the Department of Consumer and Industry Services.

In the House, a separate bill is heading for a vote as soon as next week. It would
require unsolicited e-mail ads to be identified by the insertion of "ADV:" in the
message header. The bill also prohibits the use of misleading or false information
in spam messages.
Expect the two bills to be combined, and then quickly signed into law by Gov.
Jennifer Granholm.

Federal legislation is also expected by the end of the year, though it's still
evolving in congressional committees.

But enforcing either bill will not be easy, with more and more spammers moving
their operations overseas and out of the reach of U.S. law.
200-mile wireless workout

I'm testing out some mobile wireless gear today and tomorrow on the 200-mile
national Bike Ride for the Family, which runs from Auburn Hills to Frankenmuth to
Port Huron to Troy.

Follow my progress on a special blog (www.mikesejournal.com/ride) as I use this
ride as a trial run for the big six-day Michigander bike ride in mid-July. I can
also be heard live from the road throughout the day Friday on WMUZ (103.5 FM).

http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend27_20030627.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
$50 - $100 gift card with digital cameras & camcorders $299 & up
Now you can have the digital camera or camcorder of your dreams, and a gift card to put towards a future purchase. Excludes select models.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/bHgiAD/FjRGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/