Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VoIP-enabled WLANsoffer cutting-edge benefits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:16:52 -0400

VoIP-enabled WLANsoffer cutting-edge benefits

Tue Jun 24, 8:00 AM ET

Jim Rendon,
SearchMobileComputing.com News Writer

NEW YORK -- As companies are starting to get their feet wet with voice over
Internet Protocol (VoIP) and, at the same time, setting up wireless local
area networks remains a pet project for many businesses, one presenter at
CeBit America 2003 made a strong case for merging the two.

Jason Johnson, director of the Wireless VoIP Consortium -
http://www.wirelessvoip.org/index.html - and a speaker last week at CeBit,
argued that that's why companies should consider adding voice to their Wi-Fi
networks. The two technologies are working their way into enterprises on a
similar timetable, and companies can gain both increased efficiency and cost
savings by deploying wireless VoIP systems.

Citing a study paid for by Cisco Systems Inc., Johnson said that the average
employee spends 40% of his time away from his desk. As a result, seven of
every 10 calls end up in voicemail, and employees then spend one and a half
hours per day leaving and returning voicemail messages.

Given those work patterns, Johnson said, it makes sense for employees to use
mobile phones in their offices. However, many companies do not forward calls
directly to mobile phones, and increased in-office mobile phone use can be
expensive.

If employees use wireless VoIP systems, they will have a single number for
all of their calls, he said. They can take their phones with them when they
move through the office, and even to remote hot spots, hotels and other
places where Wi-Fi networks exist. If an employee is calling the office,
these calls can be made at little additional cost.

With VoIP systems, presence awareness functionality can be integrated into
the voice applications. Not only can users know who is available before they
call, but presence awareness can also cut down on voicemail. Unlike wide
area network wireless air interface standards, the 802.11 standard is
global; the devices will work anywhere they can pick up a signal.

Michael Jablon, an independent consultant based in Stamford, Conn., and an
attendee at the show, said that, with a Wi-Fi VoIP phone using the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) standard, one could make Internet phone calls
anywhere in the world for a flat fee. That, he said, is a very compelling
application.

But this technology faces a number of hurdles. Wi-Fi security is still an
issue, even with the arrival of products that use the improved Wi-Fi
Protected Access (WPA) security protocol.

The largest roadblock is quality of service. Wi-Fi was not designed for
voice traffic, which is very sensitive to latency and jitter. Right now,
Jablon said, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) is
developing a new standard called 802.11e, which will give voice traffic
priority over data traffic.

Franklin Baitman, a partner with the Stevenson, Md.-based consultancy Nobska
Group LLC, said that many companies decide against deploying voice service
on top of their wireless LANs because they are not comfortable enough with
security and quality of service. But he added that large companies make the
opposite decision because they are more comfortable with Wi-Fi as a reliable
medium for voice data.

Source: http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/