Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Task Force Says E911 Needs $10.4 Billion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:49:20 -0400

Task Force Says E911 Needs $10.4 Billion
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JUNE 30, 2003

WASHINGTON -- An independent task force studying the needs of emergency responders
and homeland security said an injection of $10.4 billion is needed for E911
services nationwide to be effective.

The study, done by the Council of Foreign Relations' Independent Task Force on
Emergency Responders, says federal, state and local expenditures for emergency
responders should be tripled over the next five years. The council is headed up by
former Sen. Warren Rudman and former White House terrorism and cybersecurity chief
Richard Clarke.

The National Emergency Number Association worked with the panel and endorsed its
study results. NENA officials have been leading a high-profile charge to get more
recognition of E911 funding problems in the last few months. The organization
pointed to the study as evidence of the continued under-funding of wireless E911
issues in the United States.

NENA also applauded recent Congressional efforts to plug E911 funding holes at the
state level. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont.,
introduced a bill last month that would prevent states from raiding E911
surcharges. And more E911 legislation could be in the works. According to Capital
Hill sources, companion legislation in the House of Representatives could be
introduced this week by Wireless Caucus member John Shimkus, R-Ill.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=6&pubdate=06/30/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/