Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PAS Description

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:43:28 -0400

NETWORK RELIABILITY AND INTEROPERABILITY COUNCIL VI
HOMELAND SECURITY
PUBLIC SAFETY
(FOCUS GROUP 1C)
FINAL REPORT
ISSUE 2, APRIL 2003

PAS-
Appendix J - Nextel PAS Description

Beginning in February 2003, Nextel Communications and its network affiliate Nextel
Partners (collectively, "Nextel") will offer the public safety community Dispatch
Priority Access Service ("Dispatch PAS") for the Nextel service dispatch
(push-to-talk) service - a voice service that, unlike cellular and other
Commercial Mobile Radio Services, is not interconnected to the Public Switched
Telephone Network ("PSTN").  This Dispatch PAS is available on the Nextel
nationwide Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN).  Dispatch PAS provides the
user higher queuing in times of network congestion, increasing the speed and
likelihood that Nextel Direct Connect® (one-to-one) and Group Connect
(one-to-many) calls will be completed.  

Nextel's Dispatch PAS provides for five levels of priority, based on the FCC Part
64 guidelines used by the NCS for GETS.  Since priority is set at the network
level, any handset (including legacy units) can be activated for the service
(which is subject to a flat-fee monthly charge).  The iDEN  technology provides
for protection from electronic eavesdropping on public safety communications, and
dispatch calls do not enter the PSTN but instead are switched solely within
Nextel's  iDEN network.  Nextel dispatch users today can reach any other
subscriber across wide-area local service areas, whether within their "home" area
or another local area while traveling throughout Nextel's nationwide network.  By
the end of 2003, priority dispatch will be available on a nationwide basis, so
that public safety users can dispatch colleagues anywhere in the country.  This
technology is also available from Motorola, the network infrastructure
manufacturer, for deployment by other iDEN carriers, although dispatch roaming
across competing carrier networks has not been implemented. Priority service is
not available at this time on interconnected calls over Nextel's iDEN network.  

With nationwide dispatch, the Nextel priority dispatch system will provide a
viable critical communications link during national, regional and local crises,
and provides for seamless interoperability that can be implemented as a lower cost
alternative to construction of new inter-agency private radio systems.  
 Appendix K - T Mobile PAS Description

T-Mobile USA has now been awarded the Nationwide Wireless Priority Service (WPS)
contract by the National Communications System (NCS), through its WPS integration
contractor DynCorp. Nationwide WPS is operational in a total of 15 metropolitan
areas in the Eastern United States, with additional markets to follow.  T-Mobile
has been providing WPS in the greater Washington, D.C. and New York City
metropolitan areas since May 2002   

WPS enables designated national security and emergency preparedness (NSEP)
personnel greatly improved capability to complete wireless calls during times of
emergencies or natural disaster when wireless networks are stressed and
overloaded.

When trying to make a call in times of emergency or natural disaster, WPS users
have the ability to queue at the top for the next available radio resource from
their closest base station in order to place their call, greatly enhancing their
ability to complete wireless calls during these critical times and assist the
situation. WPS is available only to designated leadership at all government
levels, national security, emergency responders, and private sector critical
infrastructure personnel, as approved by Federal Communications Commission Rules
and Requirements and the National Communications System (NCS). The NCS is the only
agency that can determine who gets WPS and assign the level (1 through 5) of
priority.

Additional details on the WPS program are available at: wps.ncs.gov or at 866
NCS-CALL.

About T-Mobile USA, Inc.

Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile USA, Inc. operates a nationwide GSM/GPRS voice
and high-speed data network that covers more than 210 million people. T-Mobile USA
is a member of the T-Mobile International group, the mobile telecommunications
subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom (NYSE: DT).  Additionally, T-Mobile operates the
largest carrier owned 802.11b 'Wi-Fi' network in the country, under the name
'T-Mobile HotSpot.'  T-Mobile is committed to providing the best value in wireless
service through its GET MORESM promise to provide customers with more minutes,
more features and more service than any other wireless provider.   For more
information, visit the company web site at www.t-mobile.com.

http://www.nric.org/fg/charter_vi/fg1/FG1C_Public_Safety_Report_v3_200304.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/