Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Unstrung - The world wide source for analysis of the global wireless economy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:40:12 -0400

After reading a trade magazine I received in the mail the other day that was
flooded with technical inaccuracies and misquotes, I thought I would mention an
online publication that I really like. I know most readers already know about
www.unstrung.com but for those who don't, Unstrung has numerous newsletters, white
papers and goodies (some require free subscription) on their website. Dan Jones,
Senior Editor, Unstrung gets the scoop on many stories before the rest of the
industry (and me too..... he broke the Nextel/Flarion story). 
We all know having that information "Edge" over your competitor translates to 
$$$$$. 

The great thing about unstrung is you can comment about an article and get a
response from Dan himself, and not some canned "Thank you for writing" message
from some BOT! Anyway, here is the link to Unstrung and some of the newsletters.

We are all in the Big WWW (Wonderful World of Wireless) together.

Marcel-

Dan's e-mail:

[email-masked]

Website:
http://www.unstrung.com/

Free 802.11 Newsletters
  REGISTER for our new
  publication focused on
  putting 802.11 wireless LAN
  technology to work!

http://www.unstrung.com/register.asp
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "meijin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:47:15 -0500

Marcel:

I agree totally about Unstrung. I subscribe to several of the free newsletters and they are great. Not only for the timely content, but also for the real gems that Dan often slips into the text that causes you to go back and re-read the same sentence 3 times to see if he really used the old "went over like a fart in church" phrase! A very fun read.

I once caught Dan on a technical slip in one of the articles and emailed him a nice note pointing it out and he was great about it. Did not get all bent out of shape about it like some do. I've never met him, but am looking forward to it at some point.

Just my .02

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:14:30 -0400

Mike,

DANGER THE FOLLOWING MAY BE DANGEROUS TO SOME EGOS-

Dan is part of the "New Breed" of online Journalists that use all of their
resources to get to the bottom of a story. Many Journalists can't take the truth 
when they are confronted. Dan is not one of them.

Back in the day journalists would harass the hell out of people and their 
associates on the phone and in person  until they broke down and gave
 intimate details of the story to the reporter.

Now a days Journalists confront people with evidence on the internet that just
won't go away. Two clicks of the mouse and they know the whole world will know
the story with or without their approval, so most give in and tell their side 
of the story.

The problem is there are too many JPJ's (Jurassic Park Journalists aka Prima
Donnas) masquerading as analysts, industry experts and other facsimiles. 
Many of them write long drawn out columns and newsletters with no meat 
just a lot of FLUFF to make the Non-Techies feel like they are reading 
a technical document. Some of them have never built, designed,  implemented
or managed any system or product. 

Their claim to fame is survival, when asked what did you do at XXXXXXXX for
23yrs, many say "I was the Special Projects Regional Market Analyst Supervisor" or
some other non-sense. If you are gonna walk the walk you have to talk the talk. 
They speak analog in a digital world and wonder why their popularity is falling.

The true knowledgeable writers have disappeared. from the print trades Bishop,
Schwaninger, Bradshaw, Keckler and others now only make rare appearances at
industry trade
shows and other events. They no longer speak publicly through the trades but now
occasionally from behind a keyboard. The famous By-lines are now gone or replaced
with generic 
equivalents. Therefore, we are left with a bunch of wannabe tech writers who don't
know SMR from RMS. 

This is why so many technical publications are failing. Now if you want more than
a 5-line blip on a breaking industry story event you must dig it up yourself
(or hang out here). It appears the days of in-depth technical reporting are gone. 
The only other option now is to pay $4995.00 for a 200 page "Competitive 
Market Analysis" that contains data collected six months ago.

Before anyone asks, I have no connection with Unstrung or any of their subsidies
and this was NOT a paid announcement.

Marcel-

> meijin wrote:
> 
> 
> Marcel:
> 
> I agree totally about Unstrung. I subscribe to several of the free newsletters
> and they are great. Not only for the timely content, but also for the real gems
> that Dan often slips into the text that causes you to go back and re-read the
> same sentence 3 times to see if he really used the old "went over like a fart in
> church" phrase! A very fun read.
> 
> I once caught Dan on a technical slip in one of the articles and emailed him a
> nice note pointing it out and he was great about it. Did not get all bent out of
> shape about it like some do. I've never met him, but am looking forward to it at
> some point.
> 
> Just my .02