Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Mr.Finder's Preference (James A. Kay, Jr) Market-Based Solutio...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:23:37 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2003 3:33:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> FCC would have auction proceeds to compensate
> affected 800 MHz licensees for cost of relocation
> Advantages over Consensus Proposal

The problem with this part of the Mr. Kay's presentation is that the FCC does 
not have the authority to do anything with auction proceeds other than place 
them in the general U.S. Treasury.  The FCC can't even use auction proceeds to 
pay for its own operations.  It would take Congressional action to change 
that.

Alan T.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:41:29 -0400

True Consular,

Kay's plan IS possible with some minor changes.........
His plan uses a similar funding mechanism to the "Public Safety Trust Fund" (you
can hear it all here: "Battle Of  The Plans On Capital Hill"
http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/ram/06112003telecom.ram ) proposed by
Congressmen Stupak and the "Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act", introduced
Commerce Committee Chairman McCain. Given the dialogue between OET & Congress I
expect Mr.Thomas  will be a major player.

Congressmen Engel, Fossella and Stupak now have Kay's plan on the table this gives
them another option for funding.  Now that that Mr.Thomas (OET) publicly disagreed
with Timmy's statement indicating the "Consensus Plan" is the only solution the
door is wide open.

[email-masked] wrote:

> pay for its own operations.  It would take Congressional action to change that.
>
> Alan T.