Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] # Port

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:14:09 -0400

I was not aware of all the issues you mentioned, but now appreciate some of
the complexities
you were referring to. The devil is always in the detail.  Thanks for
putting me right.

We had a problem in UK with service provider locks, but so many users
kicked up a stink the locks
became optional. Locks aren't an issue now in the UK and still used by some
organisations as one
security measure to create some difficulty for those that attempt to
migrate a lost or stolen mobile.
The IMEI (handset serial number) is now being addressed appropriately by
the mobile network operators,
in accordance with the original design of GSM, following UK legislation
Mobile Telephone (Reprogramming)
Act 2002.

I think the US is going through a fascinating development stage at the
moment over wireless issues.
Some issues may not please end users but you do have so much potential over
there. We're also
learning alot from the US deployment of Wi-Fi/WLAN etc and hot spots. The
IEEE have put together some
excellent work for this wireless medium.

As we get to grips with implementation and security issues associated with
Wi-Fi etc, so I see the US getting to
grips with GSM usage and security related matters. Obviously you have many
more wireless choices over there,
than we do in the UK, but it will be interesting to see the US forum
discussions on GSM - how you deal with cloning
issues, complexity in device functionality compatibility, cell usage and
variable radio coverage at the boundary and
so on.

I shall read with the interest the fall out from the spectrum review -
seems to me the device manufacturers may
be hardest hit if their devices are not mutli-network compatible and mutli
functional.

Much appreciated you taking time to respond to my email.
Regards
Greg     

-------------Forwarded Message-----------------

From:   INTERNET:[email-masked],
INTERNET:[email-masked]
To:     [unknown], INTERNET:[email-masked]
        
Date:   10/06/103 13:25 PM

RE:     Re: [NEXTEL-1] # Port

Here in the USA (and prob in europe too) carriers have taken an extra
measure to ensure that customers stay loyal. Carriers have "locked" their
phones internally so critical carrier programing parameters are
inaccessible to the average user. Sprint's CDMA1900 Mhz phone will not work
on Verizon's 1900 CDMA network without the carrier unlock code and
sometimes software manipulation.. Sure WE know how to bypass this
minor inconvenience however the average customer is forced to purchase a
new phone.

This problem will certainly slow churn down since the customer will be
forced to purchase new equipment regardless of which carrier they switch
to. Carrier subsidies are decreasing everyday as they struggle to
maintain their precious ARPU. The cost to acquirer a new customer is also a
concern to carriers. I predict we will see "Switch For Free Keep Your
Number" commercials saturated with lines of disclaimers that
contain numerous restrictions as carriers try to profit from portability.

It will all come too soon. US adoption of new technologies has fallen way
below analyst predictions. A perfect example is "Bluegoof" ....remember it
was all the rage a few years ago? What happened? How many
people (non-techies)do you know have a bluegoof device?

 I had two .......they are now in my junk draw next to my Startac. Bluegoof
is just now being recognized by the average consumer. The question is how
long will
it be before it really takes off? Thousands of developers have spent big$$$
and time to develop short range communication devices on the saturated 2.4
ghz band just as Bush plans to release additional
unlicensed spectrum at perhaps greater bandwidth and longer range. So back
to the drawing board for Bluegoof guys.

So to make a long story short I agree portability is no biggie-

On the other hand Bush's Spectrum  review (and later reform) is going to
shake-up the industry.

Wireless- A Million Questions With Few Answers........

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:37:20 -0400

The bottom line is the carriers here are just simply OUT OF CONTROL!

Sprint, AT&T, Cingular and the rest are making their own rules, breaking laws and
running amuck. These guy break the law and enter into a consent decree and get a
slap on the wrist from the FCC.

The biggest travesty is E-911. It concerns me every time I hear a tragedy that
could have been avoided if E-911 phase II was implemented.

I worked on the Alpha & Beta roll outs on a PhaseII project and all I saw was
carriers stalling, whining, and generally BSing around. This was the least
important issue to them since it did not generate any revenue that they could call
profit. When they could not meet the dead lines what did they do? Get a wavier.
Some companies went as far as to offer money to a 3rd party if they received the
wavier from the FCC. This added additional indirect pressure to the FCC.

Carriers here get E-911 waivers so they can:

A) Stretch out their capital expenditures over a longer period of time.

B) Collect revenues prior to full implemetation. (who knows for how long
...lawsuits pending)

C) Beat suppliers down on price as more competitors appear.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG