Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Senate OKs funds to fix NHP error

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:07:16 -0400

Senate OKs funds to fix NHP error

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CARSON CITY -- The Senate has unanimously approved a late-session
measure authorizing $16.5 million in spending to help fix a multimillion-dollar
foul-up in building a Nevada Highway Patrol communications system.

Senate Bill 499 appropriates most of the money from the state's highway
fund and $1.8 million from the general fund. The lawmakers' Interim Finance
Committee would have final say on how the money is spent, and some
money could also go toward other state agencies' radio systems, which may
face similar problems.

Senators put the legislation on the fast track: It was introduced Monday and
sent to the Assembly before the end of the week. The NHP could face big
Federal Communications Commission fines for operating a communications
system without proper federal licenses for three years.

The patrol spent $14 million on a contract with Motorola to build the
computer radio system to link troopers with each other, the dispatch center
and other law enforcement agencies. It was activated in 2000.

But no one ever applied to the FCC for licenses for the frequencies, and the
FCC is asking the patrol to get off those frequencies by June 9.

The error will force the highway patrol to switch to an old communications
system, and could mean the agency will have to start over to build a system
as fast and as capable as the one it will replace.

  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/