Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Another US Spectrum Panel Launched

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:14:29 -0400

Wireless In Brief

Another US Spectrum Panel Launched

The U.S. government isn't saying it will attempt to find yet
undiscovered radio spectrum and allocate it to commercial wireless
services, but the White House is launching another task force to
study U.S. spectrum usage. In an Executive Order, President Bush
said U.S. spectrum policy "will: (a) foster economic growth; (b)
ensure our national and homeland security; (c) maintain U.S. global
leadership in communications technology development and
services; and (d) satisfy other vital U.S. needs in areas such as
public safety, scientific research, Federal transportation
infrastructure, and law enforcement."

The latest spectrum task force follows one that former President
Clinton created by Executive Order in October 2000, directing the
FCC and other federal agencies to develop a plan for allocating 3G
spectrum to U.S. carriers. It also follows the Spectrum Policy Task
Force launched in early 2002 by FCC Chairman Michael Powell. The
latest spectrum policy foray has Commerce Secretary Don Evans
naming members to "a high-level interagency" panel that will
recommend how government users can use spectrum more
efficiently. The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association doesn't mince words about its appreciation for
improving U.S. radio spectrum usage. ""The tools we have for
formulating spectrum policy are broken," said CTIA President and
CEO Tom Wheeler.

http://www.TelecomWeb.com
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/