Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon, Sprint decline to confirm PTT launch rumors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:03:32 -0400

Verizon, Sprint decline to confirm PTT launch rumors
By Dan Meyer
June 27 12:38:00, 2003

By the time Nextel Communications Inc. completes rollout of its Nationwide Direct
Connect service in August, it is expected to have some competitors in the
push-to-speak space. A number of industry sources expect Verizon Wireless will
launch a similar service on its CDMA-based network as early as July with Sprint
PCS expected to follow.

Rumors of Verizon Wireless’ possible launch have been escalating as Web sites and
Internet message boards have been ripe with pictures of possible Verizon
Wireless-bound handsets from Motorola Inc. and Samsung Corp. that feature large
buttons on the side and reports that the carrier has already begun to train sales
staff on the new service.

Verizon Wireless spokeswoman Brenda Raney said the carrier does not have a comment
on the rumored July launch date and reiterated Verizon Wireless’ previous claim
that it will launch a push-to-speak service by the end of the year.

While Verizon Wireless is expected to be the first carrier to offer a competing
service to Nextel’s Direct Connect, Sprint PCS’ offering is beginning to garner
increased attention due to a company Web site that may hint to a possible service
name and pictures of Sprint PCS-labeled handsets.

The Web site, http://readylink.sprintpcs.com/ptt, is titled “PCS Ready Link” and
asks for users to enter a user ID and password. Speculation is that the Web site
is a precursor to the carrier’s push-to-speak offering and will allow users to
access advanced services.

A number of Web sites have also posted pictures of a ruggedized Sanyo handset
similar to the 4900 model that is currently available from Sprint PCS with a large
button on the side and Sprint’s name clearly visible on the front.  Speculation is
that the handset is currently being used by Sprint PCS for testing and that it
will be offered as a construction industry-targeted handset once the carrier's
push-to-speak service is launched.

Sprint PCS spokesman Dan Wilinsky would not comment on either the handset pictures
or the Ready Link Web site and said the company is currently testing push-to-speak
and expects beta trials to begin shortly.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14096

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/