Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UTC Applauds Presidential, Commerce Spectrum Initiative

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:21:45 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 5, 2003 

UTC Applauds Presidential, Commerce Spectrum Initiative 

WASHINGTON

The United Telecom Council (UTC) applauds President Bush's launch of a Federal
government-wide Spectrum Policy Initiative through the Department of Commerce. UTC
welcomes an opportunity to discuss spectrum policy with government as the program
progresses, to help meet the President's goals for the Initiative. 

The President's Executive Memorandum calls for a comprehensive review of federal
spectrum management, with goals of fostering economic growth; ensuring national
and homeland security; maintaining U.S. global leadership in communications
technology development and services; and satisfying other U.S. needs in areas
including those of public safety. Commerce Secretary Don Evans has announced an
inter-agency Task Force to recommend ways to stimulate more efficient RF spectrum
use by government. He also has called for meetings with the private sector and
state and local governments for input to improve policies for overall spectrum
management. 

"UTC critical infrastructure members have extensive spectrum-based systems that
are vital both to emergency response efforts and to control of the nation's
electric, gas and water systems themselves," said UTC President & CEO Bill
Moroney. "New, more flexible spectrum management policy that enables better
efficiency through compatible systems and improved communications among all
emergency responders, including federal agencies, is an exciting prospect. UTC
looks forward to working with the Department of Commerce and NTIA in this
important work." 

UTC members have both emergency response and extensive Homeland Security
responsibilities. 

Founded in 1948, UTC represents the telecommunications interests of electric and
gas utilities, water companies, gas pipelines and other critical infrastructure
entities, along with their technology partners. UTC is a global federation of
direct business members and affiliated trade associations representing over 10,000
organizations serving all corners of the world and virtually every community in
North America. More information is available at www.utc.org. 
 
http://www.utc.org/?cbr_v=dcb&nt=true&cbr_eid=15988&p=admin&ct=contentbrowser

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/