Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Determine radio grants by need, not by politics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:50:39 -0400

Opinion

Monday, June 2, 2003

Determine radio grants by need, not by politics

At times, politics seem to get in the way of good sense. Such
appears to be the case for counties seeking grant money for a
new emergency radio system.

McLean County is among counties seeking a federal grant for a
StarCom 21 system to replace an 800-MHz system that has
been inadequate since its installation, exposing police to
unnecessary danger because of two-way radio breakdowns.

McLean County Board Chairman Mike Sweeney has asked
members of the McLean County Mayors Association to send
letters in support of the county getting $2 million in federal
funding to buy a new $2.5 million radio system as part of a
statewide network being built by Motorola for Illinois State
Police.

Sweeney thinks McLean and St. Clair counties may have the
best shots at getting a grant to be the first county to join the
system. However, he cautioned that St. Clair might have an
edge because it is regarded as a Democratic county and
McLean County is predominantly Republican. Sweeney was
being realistic, knowing Illinois' Democratic governor will be
recommending just one jurisdiction for a federal demonstration
grant.

Grants for emergency equipment in particular should be based
on need, not politics. We don't know whether McLean or St. Clair
counties -- or some other county for that matter -- has a greater
need, but there should be criteria that could be weighted to
determine which county should be first in line for such grants.

Politics shouldn't play a role when the lives of police officers and
victims of violence are on the line.

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/060203/opi_20030602004.shtml
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/