Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Base Station CoOperation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:28:53 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/June2003/5512.htm
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Positive
Results for CDMA2000

20th
June 2003

Europe
: The CDMA Development Group (CDG) reported that operators who have
deployed CDMA2000 in North America are seeing positive results in network
performance, service differentiation and product availability.

Perry LaForge, executive
director of the CDG, said, "CDMA technology offers significant
advantages to operators in capacity, high-quality service, and a smooth
evolution to next-generation services. North American operators have
capitalized on these advantages and are now well-positioned to further
strengthen their leadership in the region."

With 64.5 million
subscribers in North America, CDMA is the dominant wireless technology.
In March 2003, more than half of the wireless users in the region accessed
services through CDMA networks. There are 36 CDMA operators in Canada
and the United States, 16 of which have deployed or are migrating to
CDMA2000(r).

CDMA2000 is the
only 3G technology commercial in North America and it is expanding rapidly.
It offers operators significant benefits, such as doubled capacity,
improved network performance and differentiation through high-speed
data services. Coupled with the fact that the migration to CDMA2000
is relatively easy and requires low capital investment, this motivated
operators to deploy it aggressively. They are already seeing positive
results after only 18 months of the first deployment in the region.

Sprint, which operates
the largest all-digital, all-CDMA Third-Generation (3G) wireless network
in the United States, launched its nationwide CDMA2000 1X network and
PCS Vision(sm), its advanced wireless data service, in the third quarter
2002 with roughly a $750 million investment in the network. Since the
launch, Sprint has reported significant network performance improvements
- 1.8 times gain in capacity, a 39 percent decline in dropped calls
and 11 percent improvement in blocked calls. Its high-speed data network
delivers average data speeds of 50 to 80 kbps and peak speeds up to
144 kbps.

Subscriber migration
to the CDMA2000 1X network is progressing rapidly. At the end of the
first quarter 2003, Sprint crossed a significant milestone by announcing
1.3 million PCS Vision customers, leading the industry in the use of
advanced data services. In addition, as of the end of the first quarter
2003, nearly 90 percent of handsets sold by Sprint were CDMA2000 1X
voice devices, 45 percent were also CDMA2000 1X data-capable and nearly
53 percent of Sprint's wireless customers are using CDMA2000 1X handsets.

Oliver Valente,
vice president of Technology Development for Sprint, said, "With
the high-speed packet data capabilities offered by CDMA2000 1X technology,
Sprint is able to further enhance and expand its comprehensive range
of PCS Vision applications, creating a more valuable wireless experience
for our customers."

CDMA2000 1X is the
perfect fit for Sprint's strategy as a service innovator. Through PCS
Vision, customers can take and receive pictures from select PCS Phones;
browse the Internet at speeds faster than most dial-up connections;
check personal and corporate email; watch clips and stream audio for
news and music; and download polyphonic, animated and voice ringers,
and full-color, graphically-rich games and screen savers. Sprint was
the first carrier in the U.S. to offer wireless, on-demand multimedia
and to offer a phone with a built-in camera. In addition, Sprint recently
introduced a camera phone for less than $100 after discounts.

Verizon Wireless
launched their CDMA2000 1X network in the first quarter 2002. Verizon
will reach 100 percent coverage by July. Nearly 20 percent of their
base have CDMA2000 1X handsets.

Migration to CDMA2000
was a critical part of the company strategy to strengthen its leadership
position in the U.S. market by offering high-quality data services while
significantly improving spectral efficiency to stay ahead of usage demands.

With the Express
Network(sm), Verizon Wireless is delivering data services to the enterprise
segment at average data rates of 60-80 kbps. The Express Network powers
a suite of services for businesses that encompass Internet/Intranet
access, personal information management, and e-mail solutions. Express
Network subscribers grew 39 percent from 1Q 2002 to 4Q 2002. The United
States' largest wireless carrier reported demand for data services is
growing with 1X data usage up 77 percent from 1Q 2002 to 4Q 2002. After
successful technical trials in 2002, Verizon Wireless has committed
to a 3Q 2003 deployment of CDMA2000 1xEV-DO in Washington, D.C. and
San Diego. CDMA2000 1xEV-DO is capable of delivering peak data rates
up to 2.4 Mbps, with average data speeds of 600-800 kbps.

"Providing
the nation's best wireless network is at the core of everything we do
and our relentless pursuit of excellence drives us to deploy the most
advanced wireless technologies available," said Dick Lynch, executive
vice president and chief technical officer for Verizon Wireless. "CDMA2000
has already played an integral part in our success and will continue
to provide a solid foundation as we continue to introduce quality, differentiated
services to our customers."

There were nearly
17 million CDMA2000 subscribers in North America by the end of first
quarter 2003 and the number is growing rapidly. With the technology's
extensive footprint, exciting applications, and more than 65 commercially
available devices, users have strong incentives to migrate to 3G.

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Chinese
Mobile Agreement For Teleca

Teleca
and Legend, the leading supplier of consumer electronics in China, have
signed an agreement covering licence of Teleca's Obigo mobile suite. Initially,
Legend will use Teleca's Browser solution in its G820 phone.

Mobile
Video Streaming In Singapore

The
new services are the first to be launched in Singapore and allow GPRS
customers to view content rich streaming video and listen to audio clips
on their handsets.

Positive
Results for CDMA2000

The
CDMA Development Group (CDG) reported that operators who have deployed
CDMA2000 in North America are seeing positive results in network performance,
service differentiation and product availability.

Base
Station 3G Co-operation

Ericsson,
Huawei, NEC, Nortel Networks and Siemens today announced the creation
of a new industry cooperation, CPRI - Common Public Radio Interface, aiming
to define a publicly available specification for the key internal interface
of radio base stations.

Next
Big Issue for European Mobile Operators

The
rising popularity of mobile phones is likely to force the next big issue
for European mobile operators: the economics of adding capacity to ease
traffic and congestion.

Lucent
CDMA2000 Contract

The
multi-million dollar framework agreement will increase SFERIA's ability
to offer enhanced voice and data services more efficiently and cost-effectively
to a wider range of business and residential customers over its code division
multiple access (CDMA) network.

Visit
3G Forum

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.