Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Improving Public Safety Communications in the 800 MHz Band

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:09:37 -0400

June 27, 2003

Marlene Dortch, Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
445 Twelfth Street, S.W., Room TW A-325
Washington, DC   20554

Re: Ex Parte Notice . WT Docket No. 02-55

Improving Public Safety Communications in the 800 MHz Band

To the Secretary:

This is to provide notice that today, June 27, 2003, representatives of the United
Telecom Council (UTC), National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA),
American Public Power Association (APPA), Southern Company, and Exelon met with
Commissioner Abernathy and members of her staff concerning the above-referenced
docket.  The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the merits of the 800 MHz Users
Group Coalition Proposal filed with the FCC on May 29, 2003.

The 800 MHz User Coalition has developed a .Balanced Approach. proposal that
consists of three sections: a statement of principles; a set of specific
procedures for identifying and eliminating interference to incumbent users; and
suggested specific changes to the technical rules for the 806-824/851-869 MHz
frequency band to prevent future harmful interference to Public Safety and other
licensees operating in the band.  Among the strengths of the User Coalition
proposal is that it is a solution that is limited entirely within the 800 MHz band
which obviates the need for any 700 MHz, 900 MHz and 1.9 GHz spectrum swaps and
associated legal issues; it solves the interference and creates new opportunities
while impacting the fewest number of licensees. The companies participating in the
meeting are among the supporters of the 800 MHz User Coalition proposal, and
discussed their reasons for preferring a targeted and forward-looking outcome in
this proceeding.

This Notice is being filed pursuant to Section 1.1206 of the Commission's Rules
and Regulations, 47 C.F.R. § 1.1206.  If there are any questions concerning this
matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Jill M. Lyon
Vice President and General Counsel
Cc: Hon. Kathleen Q. Abernathy
 Jennifer Manner, Esq.

 http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514282803

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/