Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC proposes vanity fee hike

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:42:33 -0400

FCC proposes vanity fee hike
Source: QST
Publication date: 2003-06-01
Arrival time: 2003-06-11

The FCC has proposed increasing the regulatory fee to apply for, renew or
reinstate an Amateur Radio vanity call sign from $14.50 to $16.30 this fall.  The
Commission included the new fee in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM)
"Assessment and Collection of Regulatory Fees for Fiscal Year 2003" (MD 03-83),
released March 26.

"We estimate that 9800 applicants will apply for vanity call signs in FY2003," the
FCC said in its NPRM. That's up by 800 from FY2002. The agency expects to collect
revenues of nearly $160,000, an increase of almost $30,000 from FY2002.
If all goes as it has in the past, the FCC will adopt a Report and Order on the 

FY2003 fee schedule this summer, and the new fee will become effective sometime in
early September. Applicants for amateur vanity call signs will continue to pay the
$14.50 regulatory fee per call sign (per 10-year license term) until the FY2003
fee schedule goes into effect.

The FCC NPRM also seeks comments on its efforts to review, streamline and
modernize its fee assessment and collection processes and procedures.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/