Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The City of Knoxville Reduces Cell Phone Waste by Nearly 600 Pounds

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:16:58 -0400

The City of Knoxville Reduces Cell Phone Waste by Nearly 600 Pounds

                   Five Hundred and Seventy Six Cell Phones
               Collected on City Wide Cell Phone Recycling Day

    KNOXVILLE, Tenn., June 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Hundreds of people turned out to
support Knoxville's first annual cell phone recycling day turning in over 500
phones that otherwise would have amounted to 576 pounds of landfill waste.
    The City of Knoxville in partnership with Knox County, The Knoxville
Recycling Coalition, BellSouth, WBIR-TV Channel 10 and Cingular Wireless
hosted this special event to raise consumer awareness about the benefits of
cell phone recycling, while giving everyone the opportunity to responsibly
dispose of their old phones.
    "We put a call out to the businesses and residents of Knoxville and they
responded with great enthusiasm.  We are very proud of everyone who
participated and the wonderful results we were able to achieve.  Knoxville
will be a cleaner, more beautiful city for it," said Mayor Victor Ashe.
    In addition to helping keep their city clean, residents that turned in
their old wireless phones for recycling received a free Nokia 3595 wireless
phone after rebate with new service activation from Cingular Wireless.  They
were also entered into a drawing for $150 for individual donors or $250 for
the non-profit organization that donated the largest number of phones.
    The winners were Joshua Buckley-Durst, $150, and Keep Knoxville Beautiful,
$250, for their donation of 37 phones.
    "People upgrade their phones several times a year to keep up with
technology, said Tom Salter, Executive Director of Keep Knoxville Beautiful.
"We were amazed at how many phones our friends and co-workers had lying
around, and we are glad we had the opportunity to help spread this important
message and put old phones to good use."
    In addition to achieving the goal of educating Knoxville residents about
the benefits of cell phone recycling and Cingular's ongoing recycling program,
the event also helped raise $2,290 in one week for Special Olympics.
    "To encourage recycling throughout the year Cingular will continue to
donate $5 to Special Olympics for any phone turned in at a Cingular retail or
kiosk location," said Dru Dempsey, General Manager for Cingular Wireless -
Knoxville, Tennessee.
    The city and county of Knoxville will also accept any phone any time for
recycling through Knoxville Recycle Coalition.

    About Cingular Wireless:
    Cingular Wireless, a joint venture between SBC Communications (NYSE: SBC)
and BellSouth (NYSE: BLS), serves more than 22 million voice and data
customers across the United States.  A leader in mobile voice and data
communications, Cingular is the only U.S. wireless carrier to offer Rollover,
the wireless plan that lets customers keep their unused monthly minutes.
Cingular provides cellular/PCS service in 43 of the top 50 markets nationwide,
and provides corporate e-mail and other advanced data services through its
GPRS and Mobitex packet data networks.  Details of the company are available
at http://www.cingular.com.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-25-2003/0001971529&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/