Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Palm to add Net phoning to Wi-Fi device

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:23:54 -0400

Sunday, June 01, 2003 

Palm to add Net phoning to Wi-Fi device 

The handheld maker is working with partners to add voice over IP and security
software to its Tungsten C device, which features built-in Wi-Fi. Handheld market
share leader Palm is teaming with software developers to make its Wi-Fi device
more attractive to consumers and businesses.

The Milpitas, Calif.-based company announced Thursday that it is joining with
several partners to make more services available on its Tungsten C handheld, which
comes with built-in Wi-Fi support. Palm is looking to add Net-phoning capabilities
to the Tungsten C as well as additional security and the ability to more easily
identify and use hot spots--areas where wireless Internet access is available
through Wi-Fi. 

 With the partnership, Palm joins others in the hardware business that are teaming
with software companies in an attempt to expand the usefulness of Wi-Fi. 

"We want to move beyond the ability to sync remotely," said Paul Osborne, a senior
product manager for Palm. "We're looking to expand the number of applications on
the device…we're taking advantage of what's available."

The Tungsten C is Palm's first handheld with Wi-Fi built in. The device also comes
with a 400MHz Intel XScale processor for handhelds, 64MB of memory, a built-in
keyboard and a transflective display with a resolution of 320 pixels by 320
pixels.

Palm is working with VL Inc. to make VLI's Gphone software available on the
Tungsten C starting in June. Using Gphone, Tungsten C owners will be able to use
Wi-Fi networks to make phone calls.

Palm is also working with Wayport and WiFinder to improve the consumer's ability
to find and access hot spots. Wayport is offering a 30-day free trial to its
service, which makes hot spot access available in areas such as hotels and
airports. WiFinder provides directories to more than 5,443 free public hot spots
in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

Palm also said it recognizes that security is a major concern for businesses
looking to install wireless networks and purchase devices that can access those
networks. It's working with Meetinghouse Data Communications to make its Aegis
wireless local area network software available on Tungsten C devices later this
summer. Aegis supports Cisco Systems' LEAP (Lightweight Extensible Authentication
Protocol), which requires the client and the access point to authenticate each
other in order to access the network. Additionally, a virtual private network
client is also supported to secure the transmission of data between a Tungsten C
and the network. 

In separate but related news, Palm said it has teamed with cellular carrier Orange
France to sell the Tungsten W in France starting this summer. The Tungsten W is a
combination phone, organizer and e-mail device and shares a similar design with
the Tungsten C. Instead of a Wi-Fi radio chip built in, though, it has a GSM/GPRS
(Global System for Mobile Communications/General Packet Radio Service) chip so it
can access cellular networks. 

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/cnet/stories/1011216.htm
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/