Subject: RE: Address config for FMIPv6 (was Re: [mobile-ip] FMIPv6: FBUtr ansmission text)

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:44:29 -0400

Rajeev, 

Just a new (and final) angle I want to
highlight here because I didn't mention it 
in previous emails and we seem to forget this.

 > > Certainly allowing FMIPv6 to work in conjunction
 > > with these technologies is worthwhile, though.
 > >
 > 
 > This should be emphasized here. FMIPv6 is not
 > trying to incorporate all the alternatives to improving
 > DAD.

=> This is half right. I'm sure you'd agree that address
config is one of the key delays that need to be addressed
when attempting to improve MIPv6 handovers. 
So when there is an idea that reduces address config time
to zero in 99.999% of the cases then the logical thing to
do is to _consider_ it as a possible solution and analyse
the pros and cons here. This is not happening at all. 
Unfortunately, the reason you're giving above is twisting 
the point that is being made. Of course we're not trying
to solve all the DAD problems, but of course if there is
an existing way of doing that then it deserves analysis.

So to conclude, do you think there is some analysis
(theoritical or experimental) that can show that OptDAD
will not help FMIPv6 ? If there is, it would be very helpful
if you or someone else could share that with us.

Hesham

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:50:10 -0700

> if you or someone else could share that with us.

Again, what is proposed is re-using existing messages to
achieve the desired objective. Yes, FNA has been around :-)
I agree with Basavaraj, Greg and Youn-Hee Han that we should
proceed with the FMIPv6 mechanism while also allowing DAD
optimizations to work with FMIPv6.

Regarding your question above: I am not claiming that optDAD
or _any_ other DAD optimization scheme cannot help FMIPv6. I
am only saying that for FMIPv6 it is one of the things, something you
seem to agree.  FMIPv6 has proposed a method to handle NCoA
configuration. Can you prove that it is sub-optimal to OptDAD or
any other variant ?

-Rajeev