Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Could Get Boost From FCC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:31:29 -0400

Wi-Fi Could Get Boost From FCC
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JUNE 4, 2003

ATLANTA-Wireline carriers anxiously awaiting the FCC to issue the formal order
concerning unbundled network elements need not worry too much about the
contents, says at least one FCC commissioner. Wi-Fi makers may get an
inadvertent boost from it, say some industry watchers.

FCC Commissioner Kevin Martin told attendees at a Telecommunications Industry
Association event at Supercomm here that wireline carriers should expect 'no
significant variations' in the order-which should be released 'imminently.' TIA
holds its convention in conjunction with United States Telecom Association's
annual Supercomm trade show.

The FCC voted on the unbundling order in February, but didn't issue a formal
decision on it at the time. The vote dealt with how wireline carriers had to open
their network facilities to competitive carriers-including the extent to which
states
had a right to set wholesale rates for carriers operating within them.

Wireless carriers and wireless equipment makers are watching the developments
with some anxiety because the network element decision could affect the
implementation of some wireless Internet access networks and services operating
in unlicensed bands. Rural carriers, one of the primary markets for such systems,
may have a less expensive alternative to fiber to the home if they use rural Wi-Fi

systems, say some Wi-Fi system makers attending the trade show.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=06/04/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/