Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Mum on Push-to-Talk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:44:15 -0400

Verizon Mum on Push-to-Talk
06.17.03

The industry is buzzing with rumors that Verizon Wireless could launch a
push-to-talk (PTT) service as early as next month, but the carrier itself is
remaining tight-lipped on the matter.

The chatter on Internet discussion forums is that the carrier is expected to
launch phones capable of supporting the walkie-talkie-like service from Motorola
Inc.  (NYSE: MOT - message board) soon. Indeed, the Nextel-1 group (free
subscription required) has found what appears to be an online demo of a Verizon
PTT version of the Motorola v60.

However, Verizon Wireless is determined to stay silent on the matter of PTT. "The
only thing we have to say about push-to-talk is that we're going to launch this
year," company spokeswoman Brenda Raney told Unstrung. "I'm not going to talk
about phones, services, or anything of that nature."

If Verizon did launch its PTT service next month it would likely be the first
major carrier in the U.S. outside of Nextel Communications Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTL -
message board) to offer the service to its customers. The success of Nextel's
Direct Connect PTT service is what has encouraged other major carriers in the U.S.
to scramble to offer the service (see Nextel's Nationwide Walkie-Talkie).

Carriers have experienced some technical problems in rolling out initial PTT
services on packet-based 2.5G networks (see Walking, Not Running, to PTT and
Ericsson: Pain-to-Talk?). However, most analysts expect to see some limited PTT
rollouts this year from the likes of AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (NYSE: AWE -
message board), Sprint PCS (NYSE: PCS - message board), and Verizon, with larger
implementations expected in 2004.
- Dan Jones, Senior Editor, Unstrung

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=35565
-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

home

|

message boards

|

register

|

resources

|

webinars

|

advertising info

|

archive

|

reports

|

white papers

|

about us

|

feedback

REGISTER for our new publication focused on putting 802.11 wireless LAN technology to work!

column

white papers

wireless gizmo

reports

Q & A

editorial calendar

unstrung 25

case studies

A WIRELESS INFRASTRUCTURE RESEARCH SERVICE

MAY, 2003

Wireless LAN Switches - The Market Makers

"Wireless LAN Switches - The Market Makers" examines the products and companies that are creating an exciting new wireless market.

Subscribe

user preferences

LIGHT READING

Networking the Telecom Industry

BYTE AND SWITCH

The storage networking site

BOARDWATCH

Analysis of telecom software, services, and strategy

LIGHT READING INSIDER

A Telecommunications Research Service

UNSTRUNG INSIDER

A Wireless Infrastructure Research Service

REGISTER for upcoming free Web seminars

PREVIOUS UNSTRUNG NEWS ANALYSIS

Verizon Mum on Push-to-Talk

06.17.03

The industry is buzzing with rumors that Verizon Wireless could launch a push-to-talk (PTT) service as early as next month, but the carrier itself is remaining tight-lipped on the matter.

The chatter on Internet discussion forums is that the carrier is expected to launch phones capable of supporting the walkie-talkie-like service from Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT - message board) soon. Indeed, the Nextel-1 group (free subscription required) has found what appears to be an online demo of a Verizon PTT version of the Motorola v60.

However, Verizon Wireless is determined to stay silent on the matter of PTT. "The only thing we have to say about push-to-talk is that we're going to launch this year," company spokeswoman Brenda Raney told Unstrung. "I'm not going to talk about phones, services, or anything of that nature."

If Verizon did launch its PTT service next month it would likely be the first major carrier in the U.S. outside of Nextel Communications Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTL - message board) to offer the service to its customers. The success of Nextel's Direct Connect PTT service is what has encouraged other major carriers in the U.S. to scramble to offer the service (see Nextel's Nationwide Walkie-Talkie).

Carriers have experienced some technical problems in rolling out initial PTT services on packet-based 2.5G networks (see Walking, Not Running, to PTT and Ericsson: Pain-to-Talk?). However, most analysts expect to see some limited PTT rollouts this year from the likes of AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (NYSE: AWE - message board), Sprint PCS (NYSE: PCS - message board), and Verizon, with larger implementations expected in 2004.

— Dan Jones, Senior Editor, Unstrung

printable format | email to a friend

Discuss this story...

Market data is Copyright © 1995-2002 Stockpoint and its data suppliers. All rights reserved.
Quotes are delayed at least 20 minutes. Quote data provided by S&P Comstock.

Copyright © 2000-2002 Light Reading, Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy Terms of Use Editorial Disclosure