Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CDMA 'Data-Only' grabs lead - report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:40:43 -0400

CDMA 'Data-Only' grabs lead - report

The latest CDMA technology demonstrates 3G wireless is here, enables operators to
launch money-making multimedia services, and meets end users' expectations. That is the primary
conclusion of the new report released by Datacomm Research Company.

"Our research shows the combination of CDMA2000 1x and EV-DO consistently delivers
a 3G wireless experience with services such as music and video on demand," said
Ira Brodsky, President of Datacomm Research and principal author of the report.
"But operators must bite the bullet and deploy EV-DO now to fully capitalize on
its time-to-market, cost, and performance advantages," he added.

The report also noted that EV-DO frees operators from the false dilemma of
charging data users for the equivalent voice resources consumed. Using dedicated
bandwidth, operators can develop mobile data as an independent business. EV-DO can
also compete against cable modem and DSL services -- particularly in unserved and
underserved locations. However, handset users are the primary market for EV-DO
services.

Datacomm says that CDMA2000 1xEV-DO has significant advantages over W-CDMA, the
dominant UMTS technology. EV-DO requires less clear spectrum to deploy, currently
delivers higher average and peak throughput, and is less expensive.

Finally, the success of CDMA 'data only' (EV-DO) will reduce future demand for
CDMA 'data-voice' (EV-DV). The latter will mainly be relegated to operators with
insufficient spectrum.

Posted to the site on 26-Jun-03

 http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9149.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/