Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola, Nextel and Creditel Team Up to Launch New Point-of-Sale Solution for Businesses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:05:49 -0400

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030610/105116_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications

Motorola, Nextel and Creditel Team Up to Launch New Point-of-Sale Solution for Businesses
Tuesday June 10, 10:01 am ET

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., RESTON, Va. & LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June
10, 2003--

PowerSwipe(TM) Device and PowerPay(TM) Solutions Allow Businesses
On-the-Go to Process Credit Cards Securely From Their Mobile Phones

ADVERTISEMENT

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT - News), Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL - News) and Creditel(TM) today announced they are offering
Creditel's PowerSwipe device and its secure end-to-end payment
processing solution for use on Nextel's national packet data network.
The point-of-sale (POS) device will make it fast, easy and affordable
for mobile businesses including retailers, taxi drivers and delivery
personnel to securely process credit cards directly from the Java(TM)
technology-enabled Motorola i50sx, i55sr, i58sr, i85s and i88s
handsets for Nextel.

The PowerSwipe device utilizes Creditel's patent-pending advanced
digital "secure-at-the-swipe" encryption technology not available in
any other mobile or stationary POS device today. With the PowerPay(TM)
J2ME(TM) application software, transactions are authorized and
verified in seconds, and can support a fax or email transaction record
or print a standard receipt to a wireless printer.

"Before using the PowerSwipe, we had to tie up our phones,
technicians and customer service advisors waiting for card
authorization," said Seth Marrs, general manager of Stanley Steemer,
Los Angeles. "Now authorization takes seconds, our phone lines are
freed for customers, the likelihood of fraud is reduced and our
technicians are much more productive. Plus, it costs less because we
get charged a lower rate per transaction for using the device."

PowerSwipe has a sleek, rugged, form-fit design that easily
connects to the phone for enhanced, unobstructed use. Weighing only
3.1 ounces, it incorporates a magnetic stripe reader, infrared
printing port, and pass-through connector for charging the handset
battery in an easily integrated package.

"By using the PowerSwipe product, Nextel customers can turn their
phones into POS devices that can increase employee productivity and
customer satisfaction, help reduce processing and back-office costs
and help to stop fraud," said Ernie Cormier, vice president of
Business Solutions for Nextel. "This is another example of Nextel's
commitment to provide our customers in the retail and service
industries with Wireless Business Solutions that allow them to meet
the needs of their customers anywhere at anytime."

"Creditel's secure mobile payment solution complements Motorola's
strategy to provide customers with value-added applications that can
improve productivity and profitability for the end user while driving
subscriber satisfaction, growth and retention for Nextel and our
dealer partners," said Bill Delaney, Motorola Communications and
Electronics, Inc. vice president and business director for the
company's Radio Products and Services Division.

Chase Merchant Services, L.L.C. provides merchant processing
services for the PowerPay solution. "The ability for mobile businesses
to accept multiple payment methods provides customers with the options
they want and the solutions they need," said Drew Freeman, senior vice
president of Chase Merchant Services, L.L.C. "Creditel is leveraging
new technology to deliver secure solutions for today's mobile market
through the most commonly used business tool, the cell phone. By
promoting superior transaction processing services to mobile
businesses who have been waiting for this type of solution, Chase will
continue to be the leading provider of merchant processing services in
the industry."

"The marketing support and distribution network of Motorola,
coupled with Nextel's pervasiveness in the mobile enterprise
community, is critical in offering easy access to powerful business
tools mobile merchants need to conduct business easily, securely and
affordably wherever and whenever they need to," said Georges F. Elias,
chief executive officer of Creditel.

Motorola will distribute the Creditel POS solution in the United
States and Canada through its Motorola Authorized Two-Way Radio and
Reseller channels. Nextel will distribute it through its direct and
indirect sales channels.

About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT - News) is a global leader in providing
integrated communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in
2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a global corporate citizen
dedicated to ethical business practices and pioneering important
technologies that make things smarter and life better, honored
traditions that began when the company was founded 75 years ago this
year. For more information, please visit: www.motorola.com.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 198
of the top 200 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches, Nextel
and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S.
where approximately 240 million people live or work.

About Creditel

Creditel offers businesses of all sizes secure, affordable, fast
and easy-to-use wireless transaction solutions and an interactive
environment designed to immediately increase profitability and enhance
productivity. For more information on Creditel products and services,
please visit www.creditelcorp.com.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Media:
Scott Sloat, 703/433-4931
[email-masked]
or
Investors:
Paul Blalock, 703/433-4300
[email-masked]
or
Motorola:
Steve Gorecki, 847/538-0368
[email-masked]
or
Creditel:
Michael Cottrell, 310/820-1429
[email-masked]

Source:
Nextel Communications
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Refinance. Close in as little as 30 days

·

Know the basics of TORNADO SAFETY

·

Buying Inkjet Cartridges the Intelligent way...

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Best CEO? Best Practices? Search eLibrary.

·

Get a FREE Mortgage REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!

·

Rent all the DVDs you want - No Late Fees!

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

Wireless Video Surveillance

·

Save 80% on inkjet cartridges at Myinks.com

Related
Quote

NXTL

14.27

+0.19

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

InPlay: Nextel: Verizon PTT offering could arrive next month - Briefing.com (Mon Jun 9)

·

[external] Phone Companies Find Bundles of Joy - at BusinessWeek Online (Fri Jun 6)

·

[external] Better Times Arrive for Sprint PCS - at TheStreet.com (Thu Jun 5)

·

Nextel: Public Safety Leaders Address Critical Arizona Homeland Security Communications Needs - Business Wire (Thu Jun 5)

More...

·

By
industry:
Food/beverage, Household/consumer, Leisure/travel, Restaurant, Retail, Telecom, Textiles

Top Stories

·

ImClone's Waksal Could Get 7-Year Term - Reuters (9:20 am)

·

Stocks Open Bit Higher After Nokia News - Reuters (9:43 am)

·

Nokia: Sales Will Be Hit by Economy, SARS - Reuters (6:52 am)

·

L-3 Buys Bombardier Unit for $90 Million - Reuters (8:51 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.