Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Latest 800 Interference Report NY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:21:23 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Brignola, Christopher J." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [800interference] Latest 800 Interference Report NY
To: <[email-masked]>

1. It appears that many jurisdictions are only entering one report covering all
(or all nextel/cellular) interference to their system.  They are not reporting
each individual incident or location of interference - as I believe APCO wanted.

2. Apparently Project 39 is now closed, should jurisdictions continue to report
interference incidents through the Project 39  page
(http://www.apco911.org/frequency/project_39/index.html) or is APCO going to keep
the combined list active as its own standalone issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Haraseth [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 10:48 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; 'Jeanne Kowalski'; 'Edwards, Sandy'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [800interference] Latest 800 Interference Report NY

Note:  an updated complete text file of all reports to date are located
at: http://www.apco911.org/frequency/project_39/downloads/combined.txt
The update including this entry may follow this original report by a day
or two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2003

Location City:....................... Town fo Colonie
       County:....................... Albany
        State:....................... NY

Agency Name:......................... Town of Colonie Public Safety

Type of service:..................... Police, Fire, EMS

Service coverage area:............... Town 56 square miles

Population estimate:................. 80,000

Is interference Annoying:............ Yes

Is interference Harmful:............  Yes

Type of PS System:................... Trunked

Band:................................     

Identified interference:............. Nextel

Interference been reported to:....... APCO  

Has interference been resolved:...... 
If, how:
This was reported a few months ago and has been resolved by NEXTEL
removing a frequency for one channel of their base station.  This was
causing intermod on our system.  Since the channel has been removed, we
have had no further complaints from this area of our Town.

Descriptive Narrative

Technical Contact Name:.............. Kevin Moore
Technical Contact Title:............. Communications Supervisor 
Agency:.............................. Town Of Colonie Police 
Email:............................... [email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:12:31 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Ron Haraseth" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Latest 800 Interference Report NY

This report was one of the rare ones that is a follow-up of an earlier
report.

Yes, APCO would have liked to have developed a more thorough
report/database that would have allowed monitoring, updates,
resolutions, status, etc. to better qualify every case and provide more
objective information.  P39 even pursued some firms to develop a
product.  However, that requires considerable resources.  There was only
one firm that provided any monetary support to Project 39 (RACOM of
Iowa) but there simply was no funding to reach that intended goal.

Project 39 has reached the basic goals from its original directives and
will shortly announce its termination.  APCO will still be closely
involved and simply absorb the technical review components of Project 39
into its ongoing Spectrum Committee (many P39 members are also Spectrum
Committee members).  Look for a formal news release/final report
shortly.

Regardless of the direction of the FCC action relating to 800 MHz
interference to public safety, there will be a significant need to
provide a better method of tracking and monitoring interference.  So
far, the only plan that has been proposed that addresses the situation
is the Consensus Plan through the work of a Rebanding Coordination
Committee (RCC).  While other plans address the need, they certainly do
not address the cost to provide the resource.

Until a better system can be created (and funded), APCO will continue to
provide the current online reporting tool.
(http://www.apco911.org/frequency/800interfere.html#interfere)

Ron