Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Microsoft Cuts Spectrum Deal With Broadcasters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:23:37 -0400

Microsoft Cuts Spectrum Deal With Broadcasters

http://www.komotv.com/stories/25228.htm
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

NEWS / home

- home

- more news

- special reports

- buyer beware

- your money

- herb weisbaum

- sports

- ken schram

- people helper

- boeing news

- microsoft news

- search news

KOMO RADIO

- contests

- events

- mariners

- jobs

- people

KOMO TV

- schedule

- jobs

- people

WEATHER

TRAFFIC

HOTLINKS

HEALTHWATCH

ASK KOMO

EMAIL KOMO

NW AFTERNOON

SITE MAP

FEATURES

- in the garden

- sea-tac solutions

- for kids' sake

- eric's little heroes

- cooking with todd

- what's happening

- scholarship

Have A News Tip?

Email Us

or call

1-TV-TIPS-KOMO

press 1

Microsoft To Launch New Service For Smart Wristwatches

June 5, 2003

By KOMO Staff & News Services

Tools

Email This Story

Printer-friendly Version

REDMOND - If you don't have enough futuristic gadgets,
consider dusting off an old standby - a wristwatch.

Microsoft Corp. plans a new service to deliver weather, stock
quotes, instant messages and other data to customers via high-tech
wristwatches.

The service, called MSN Direct, will cost $9.95 a month with the
first month free or a year's service for $59 and be available in
more than 100 North American cities in the fall.

It's part of Microsoft's Smart Personal Object Technology
initiative, announced last year, in which devices can receive and
display information broadcast over a portion of the FM radio
spectrum.

Microsoft is working on the technology while watchmakers Fossil
and Suunto are developing the smart wristwatches, at varying
prices, with many in a mid-priced range of $150 to $300, said Chris
Schneider, SPOT program manager.

"Microsoft certainly knows technology," he said. "We don't
know fashion very well.

"The goal of the service is to provide people information in a
discreet and glance-able way" whether they are in a meeting, in a
car or in a restaurant, Schneider said. The technology will allow
people "to take advantage of the micromoments of their day."

He noted that it ties the idea of "time" to "timely
information" - such as traffic information at the end of the work
day or stock quotes after the stock market closes.

People can customize what information they want sent to their
watches by going to a Web site, Schneider said.

Microsoft has cut deals with broadcast companies including Clear
Channel Communications, Rogers Communications, Entercom
Communications and others to lease a slice of FM radio spectrum for
transmitting the data.

The company won't disclose how much it is spending on leasing
radio spectrum or offering the service.

It's still unclear how many people will want to buy the watch or
would prefer it to a Web-enabled wireless phone or personal digital
assistant.

The smart wristwatch will appeal to those who aren't as
technologically savvy and would prefer to receive information over
a device that they're already comfortable with, said Alex Slawsby,
analyst in mobile devices for IDC. He said even cell phones, which
seem fairly straightforward, can be frustrating to less
technologically sophisticated users of Web browsing, calendar or
instant-messaging services.

Still, the watch has its drawbacks. Because the watch only
receives data and can't send it, users won't be able to shoot back
instant messages, for example. Anyone wanting to be able to
interact with data or surf the Web should look at buying a personal
digital assistant or an advanced wireless phone, he said.

In addition, the service draws down the battery, meaning users
will need to recharge the batteries once every few days, Slawsby
said.

But the wristwatches are only the first step of more products
running on the SPOT platform, he added.

The next devices could be displays in cars, on refrigerators and
elsewhere to send key data depending on the location and the
customer's interest, Slawsby said.

For More Information:

Microsoft -- www.microsoft.com.

Email This Story |
Printer-friendly Version

Other Stories:

Neuheisel May Be Gone

Husky head football coach admits to gambling on college basketball over the past two years; NCAA investigating.

'I Wouldn't Really Want To See Him Leave'

The UW campus is buzzing about Coach Neuheisel's gambling admission.

House Passes State Budget

Washington lawmakers on Thursday sent Gov. Gary
Locke a new $23.1 billion state budget.

M's Mount Furious Comeback To Win 9th Straight

Cameron hits a 3-run homer in the 9th inning and Sasaki gets out of bases loaded jam to beat Phillies 5-4.

Green River Drowning

A party takes a tragic turn after a man celebrating his 30th birthday drowns in the Green River.

Financial Calculators Can Help

How important is the interest rate?
What will it take to pay off my loan?
Should I consolidate my debts? BECU's calculators can help you answer important financial questions.

More information

Some content on this site is enhanced with QuickTime Streaming Video and
Audio. It requires the use of the free QuickTime Player. If you see the audio icon

or the video icon , just click
to see and hear the material associated with that story.

Send comments and questions to:
[email-masked].

This site contains copyrighted material of Fisher Communications, Inc. (KOMO TV)
which may not be copied, distributed or re-used in any way without KOMO TV's prior written consent. KOMO TV trademarks are also subject
to legal protection and may not be used without KOMO TV's prior written consent. KOMO TV is not responsible for the content of third party
material provided to or linked with this site. Some of the material on this site contributed by the Associated Press.