Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mr.Finder's Preference (James A. Kay, Jr) Market-Based Solution for Realigning Spectrum Use in the 800 MHz Band

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:06:15 -0400

ECONOMICS AND
TECHNOLOGY, INC.

Market-Based Solutions for Realigning
Spectrum Use in the 800 MHz Band
Lee L. Selwyn and Helen E. Golding
Economics and Technology, Inc.
Ex Parte Presentation on behalf of James A. Kay, Jr.

June 24-25, 2003

A Market-Based Relocation Process:

Step one: Identify public safety spectrum affected by interference

Step two: Establish “fair market value,” payable in bidding credits, of
licenses being encouraged to relocate

Step three: Auction off 10 MHz of nationwide spectrum at 1.9 GHz – Nextel
and other interested bidders would establish “market price” via
auction

Step four: Depending upon results of auction, interference would either be
largely resolved by relocation of Nextel to 1.9 GHz (if it wins
auction), or FCC would have auction proceeds to compensate
affected 800 MHz licensees for cost of relocation
Advantages over Consensus Proposal

• More consistent with overall direction of FCC’s spectrum policies:
Reduces reliance on “command and control”

• Value of 1.9 GHz spectrum over and above relocation costs offered
under Consensus proposal would be captured via public auction

• Commercial licensees in 800 MHz band would not be required to bear the
costs of an involuntary relocation

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514282391

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/