Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel Press Release on 'PTT' trademark

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:29:32 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Nextel Press Release on 'PTT' trademark

In a message dated 6/20/2003 14:43:15 Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked]
writes:

> Speaking of Push to Talk, we would like to do a PTT technology session at ITA's
> next annual conference this October.  We are planning on asking Nextel and
> Verizon to participate.  Are there any others that you would like to hear from?
> Any suggestions or leads?

       Might I suggest that some consideration be given to the variances in PTT
technologies? As numerous members have pointed out, even Nextel's "Direct Connect"
generally fails to meet the general standard for true instantaneous dispatch and,
based on the technology overlays being used by the cellular and PCS carriers, it
appears their offerings will be even farther from the mark.
       My personal experience with Nextel has shown call setup times that range
from seconds to minutes! As real-time dispatch is generally defined as having a
call setup time not exceeding 500 mS, these results more accurately portray
Push-And-Wait.
       Many assume that this is merely the price one must endure when moving from
a standalone private station to a multisite, multichannel network however, this is
not true. At SmartLink are network call setup times are only 125 mS from the time
we decode a request for network access. Since we decode even slow speed trunking
like LTR in 350 mS or less, the total time for call setup from the instant of
request arrival remains well under the 500 mS benchmark.
       Both the Commission and the carriers would like us to believe that CMR
systems are an acceptable replacement for virtually all those currently utilizing
PLMR systems however, most of these systems suffer capacity problems while
frequently failing to cover the less urban areas of a users operating area.
Historically, these same systems have overloaded almost immediately when trouble
strikes and it remains to be seen whether the promised PAS offerings will deal
with this issue effectively or simply create another revenue stream for the
carrier.
       I guess the real question is whether one size really does fit all ... but
then, as Jack always says ... I could be wrong!

Bob Fay, Systems Engineer
SmartLink Radio Networks

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:45:12 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nextel Press Release on 'PTT' trademark

Perhaps what your members need more is a panel discussion of how modern
business practice includes abuse and avoidance of the intent of laws
others abide by. 

With an emphasis on the fact that integrity, loyalty, honesty and honor
have NO place in today's big business. 

The title for the session could be: The Way Predators Do Business.
Subtitle: Eat or be eaten.

We need to educate more businesses on how they too can become
'successful'.
There's no reason anymore for any company to 'play fair' by anyone
else's definitions. The use of any means to forward the corporation is
justifiable.
Violating law is just another calculated business risk, the penalty
often being less that the gain made operating illegally. You can promise
or allude to anything without having to perform through requiring
unacceptable terms or delaying. Alliances are temporary and in effect
only so long as you have control and benefit. 

Look's like it's time the whole industry to follow this new business
model.
It's successful and admired by the investment community.

But I could be wrong....
Jack Daniel
=====================================