Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Defense supports spectrum review, but stresses military needs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:17:38 -0400

Defense supports spectrum review, but stresses military needs

June 12, 2003 1:49 PM EST

WASHINGTON-The Department of Defense today said it supports the spectrum review
announced last week by the Bush administration, but stressed that military
wireless requirements are increasing in modern-day warfare. 

"The president's initiative successfully balances efforts to accelerate the
nation's economic growth with the need to ensure that national security and
public-safety interests are not compromised," the Pentagon stated. 

After the White House spectrum announcement last Thursday, the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association said it was assured the administration
action would not impact plans to transfer military spectrum to mobile-phone
carriers for third-generation wireless systems. 
But DoD today strongly hinted the 3G spectrum issue could still be in play. 

"The dependence of the Department of Defense on spectrum as a force multiplier and
enabler has been demonstrated recently in Bosnia, Afghanistan, and Iraq, where we
were able to execute successful military operations with smaller, leaner fighting
forces, limited casualties and limited collateral damage," said the Pentagon. "Our
dependence on spectrum has been growing at a rapid rate as we transform our
military into a network-centric force. We need to ensure that frequency spectrum
does not become a bottleneck in this transition." 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13882

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/