Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PUBLIC SAFETY FOUNDATION OF AMERICA AWARDS $3.1 MILLION

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:53:00 -0400

PUBLIC SAFETY FOUNDATION OF AMERICA AWARDS $3.1 MILLION

                      TO EXPEDITE E-911 EMERGENCY SERVICES;

                            ENHANCES PUBLIC SAFETY NET

The Public Safety Foundation of America (PFSA) will announce next week a series of
grants to support and expedite the implementation of E-911 throughout the U.S.In
this second round of funding, nearly $3.1 million is being awarded to 57 grantees
in 27 states (list attached).

The PSFA was established in January 2002 by the Association of Public-Safety
Communications Officials International (APCO).The PSFA’s objective is to provide
critical funding and technical support to public safety answering points (PSAPs)
and local emergency response officials to enable the implementation of wireless
E-911.

The grant announcement will include $500,000 to the Iowa Emergency Management
Division E-911 Program, $117,000 to the Garfield County (WA) E-911, $111,000 to
the Geauga County (OH) 911, and $105,000 to the Broken Arrow (OK) Police
Department.In some cases, the states are providing matching funds to complete the
PSFA-funded projects.

Funding for the PSFA is provided by a variety of sources, including donations from
corporations, APCO chapters and the Wireless E-911: PSAP Readiness Fund, a
non-profit organization established by Nextel Communications and dedicated to
supporting the timely implementation of wireless E-911.The PSFA will award two
additional rounds of grants in 2003.Applications for the next round will be
accepted through July 3.The PSFA Advisory Committee that administers the grants is
comprised of the following member organizations:

   + Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials International
   + International Association of Chiefs of Police
   + International Association of Fire Chiefs
   + National Association of Counties
   + National Association of State EMS Directors
   + National Emergency Number Association
   + National Governors’ Association
   + National League of Cities

Currently, the grant recipients have been notified of their award and have been
asked not to publicize this until the national press release has been sent, which
is scheduled for June 30, and until they have received the sample press releases
from the PSFA.The PSFA and APCO International are planning to celebrate the grant
awards through local press conferences with some of the grant recipients in the
upcoming months.

To obtain a grant pre-application online or for more information, visit
www.psfa.us.

                                 Grant Recipients

                                   June 30, 2003

  1. Arkansas – $23,049 to the Pike County Sheriffs Office

  2. Arizona – $55,889 to the Cottonwood Police Department; $55,940 to the Mohave
     County Sheriff’s Office; and $89,704 to the Tohono O’odham Nation

  3. California – $96,108 to the Santa Clara County Communications; and $20,000 to
     the Whittier Police Department

  4. Florida – $26,671 to the Jackson County E-911; $34,684 to the Glades County
     Sheriff’s Office; $68,985 to the Monroe County Emergency Communications
     Department; and $98,780 to the Martin County E-911

  5. Georgia – $62,145 to the Lumpkin County E-911; $4,000 to the Fannin County
     E-911; $17,500 to the City of Morrow Emergency Communications Department; and
     $63,350 to the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office E-911

  6. Iowa – $79,133 to the Warren County E-911 Joint Service Board; $500,000 to
     the Iowa Emergency Management Division E-911 Program; $33,212 to the Black
     Hawk Public Safety Consolidated Communications Center; $7,500 to the Mahaska
     County E-911 Center; and $56,200 to
     the Pottawattamie County 911/Communications Center

  7. Idaho – $59,938 to the Sandpoint Police Department; and $25,000 to the
     Southern Idaho Regional Communications Center

  8. Illinois – $30,000 to the Kankakee County 911

  9. Indiana – $14,000 to the Wells County 911 Bluffton Dispatch Center; and
     $32,064 to the Wayne County Emergency Communications Department

 10. Kentucky – $54,755 to the Boone County Public Safety Communications Center;
     $37,700 to the Hardin County E-911 Center; $22,250 to
     the Grant County Public Safety Communication Center; and $36,377 to
     the Campbell County Consolidated Dispatch Center

 11. Louisiana – $55,000 to the Washington Parish Communications District

 12. Michigan – $96,967 to the Van Buren County Sheriff’s Department

 13. Minnesota– $37,420 to the Waseca County Sheriff’s Office; and $6,825 to the
     Lake County Sheriff’s Department

 14. Missouri – $23,195 to the East Central Dispatch Center, Richmond Heights;
     $36,000 to the Columbia-Boone County Public Safety Joint Communications; and
     $16,850 to the Dallas County 9-1-1

 15. Mississippi - $17,200 to the Jefferson Davis County Board of Supervisors;
     $36,000 to the Neshoba County Emergency Management Agency

 16. Montana – $50,000 to the Gallatin County/City of Bozeman 911 Communications

 17. North Carolina – $39,497 to the Alexander County Communications

 18. Nevada – $68,315 to the Carson City Sheriff’s Department; and $44,805 to the
     Eureka County Sheriff’s Office

 19. New York – $30,250 to the Erie County Central Police Services; and $63,500 to
     the Nassau County Police Department

 20. Ohio – $42,000 to the Clermont County Department of Public Safety Services;
     $110,952 to the Geauga County 9-1-1; and $16,500 to the Miamisburg Police
     Department

 21. Oklahoma - $104,782 to the Broken Arrow Police Department

 22. Pennsylvania - $71,099 to the Pike County 911; $10,000 to the Lycoming County
     Department of Public Safety; and $13,333 to the Westmoreland County
     Department of Public Safety

 23. Utah - $19,650 to the Beaver County Sheriff’s Department; $91,364 to the
     Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office; and $80,051 to the 911 Public Safety
     Answering Point Provo City Communications

 24. Virginia - $17,000 to the Vinton Police Department

 25. Washington - $117,239 to the Garfield County E911

 26. Wisconsin - $28,000 to the St. Croix County Emergency Communications

 27. West Virginia - $43,200 to the Wood County Central Telecommunications Center