Subject: [NEXTEL-1] First test of unpaired 3G spectrum on paired basestation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:36:40 -0400

First test of unpaired 3G spectrum on paired basestation

IPWireless says that it has successfully completed the world's first
interoperability (IOT) and co-existence testing between UMTS TDD (TD-CDMA) and
UMTS FDD (WCDMA) networks at Nortel Networks wireless headquarters in Châteaufort
, France . The test, completed during a trial of the IPWireless TDD solution,
demonstrated that both FDD and TDD standards of 3G UMTS can co-exist in the same
cell site and interface together as one network solution.

The tests also showed the co-existence of both FDD and TDD Node Bs at the same
cell site without any interference or degradation of service using paired and
unpaired spectrum allocations.  These findings prove conclusively that mobile
network operators can safely offer the high-bandwidth low-latency services
available on a TDD network on the cell sites with existing or planned FDD
deployments.

The world's first IOT test integrated IPWireless' TDD Radio Access Network (RAN)
via the Iups interface (between RNC and SGSN) with Nortel Networks market leading
packet core solution, which is deployed by a number of major European operators.

IPWireless is supplying their 3GPP standards compliant UMTS TDD Mobile Broadband
technology equipment including Node Bs, Integrated Network Controllers and end
user PC cards (PCMCIAs).  Via the PC card, the IPWireless solution gives laptop
and PDA users mobile Internet access at speeds up to 1.5Mbps - faster than the
fixed line Broadband rates currently available.

 In a fully deployed network, broadband coverage is as ubiquitous as with today's
GSM networks.  This offers a multitude of new revenue streams for mobile network
operators and the services that business and residential users are demanding.

Posted to the site on 26-Jun-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9139.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/