Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Announce: Wifi Antenna Shootout Contest, 8/1/2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:08:13 -0400

The First Annual Defcon Wi-fi Shootout

Hosted by the Oklahoma City 2600 group

Wireless technology is becoming more and more prevalent, and many people
have experimented with transmitting wi-fi over large distances. The
Guinness World Book of Records distance for a wi-fi link is 310 
kilometers, and was set by the Swedish company Alvarion (full story
here:
http://www.newswireless.net/articles/030307-record.html). Amateurs have
been making antennas out of everything from Pringles cans to Primestar
dishes, and getting amazing results. Sound interesting? Read on!

CONTEST GOAL:

To see who can achieve the greatest wi-fi/802.11b connect distance 
between
the roof of the Alexis Park Hotel and the outlying areas of Las Vegas.

EVENT STAFF:

Dave Moore
Michele Moore
Anna Moore
Stefan Morris
Other volunteers

EVENT DETAILS: Basic Rules (please visit
http://home.earthlink.net/~wifi-shootout for more information and 
updates)

     * The contest will be open to Defcon attendees who agree to the
contest
rules. Contestants must register with and be accepted by contest staff 
in order to participate.

     * The contest begins Friday at noon, August 1, on the roof of the
Alexis Park Hotel.

     * How to Enter the Contest:

          Prior to Defcon:
           - Register via email ([email-masked]).
           - Register on the Defcon Chat forum.

           At Defcon:
           - Register at the DEF CON Info Booth before Friday 11:30 AM.
           - Register with contest staff -- during the contest -- on the
roof of the Alexis Park on Friday,
             August 1, at the transmission log times: 2:00 PM, 7:00 PM, 
or
11:00 PM.
           - Register with contest staff -- during the contest -- on the
             roof of the Alexis Park on Saturday, August 2, at the
beginning of the transmission log time which begins at 12 noon.

* Contest entry deadline is during the transmission log time which 
begins on Saturday at noon, August 2.

*  Entrants must make their physical Convention presence known to 
contest staff by the deadline. Exceptions may be made at the discretion
of 
contest staff.

     * 2.4 GHz, 802.11b equipment only. No "g," no "a."  No signal 
relaying.

     * A total of 48 entry slots are available, and will be allocated on 
a first-come, first-served basis.

     * Entries may be individuals or teams, with no limit on the number 
of members per team. However, each entry shall appoint only one person
to
officially interact with contest staff at any given time. One official
contact badge per entry will be issued by contest staff, and may be
exchanged between entry members as desired.

     * Entries may compete in a maximum of two competition categories.

     * Contestants shall provide their own transceiving equipment, which
must be capable of sending, receiving and displaying a specific text
message provided by contest staff. Contestants will be responsible for 
the proper operation of their equipment, and contest staff will bear no
responsibility for any liability arising from the operation of 
contestants' equipment.

     * Winners agree to openly disclose the technology used to achieve
connect distances.

     * Contestants agree to compete honestly, and may be summarily
disqualified at any time for behavior deemed inappropriate by contest
staff, i.e. intentionally logging false distances. No cheating, jamming 
or sabotage!

EVENT DETAILS: Competition Rules

Competition categories:

1. Stock/unmodified, with commercially made omnidirectional wi-fi 
antenna

2. Stock/unmodified, with commercially made directional wi-fi antenna

3. Homemade omnidirectional antenna

4. Homemade directional antenna

5. Enhanced power, (omni or directional) commercially made

6. Enhanced power, (omni or directional) homemade

Specified transmission log times will be provided by contest staff, and
will occur throughout the contest. Contestants must log their 
transmission distance entries with contest staff at those times. Planned
log times 
are:

Friday, August 1, at 2:00 PM, 7:00 PM, and 11:00 PM
Saturday, August 2, at 12:00 PM, 3:00 PM, and the final log time at 7 PM

     * After verifying two-way transmissions from contestants' equipment 
on the roof of the motel, transmission locations will be accepted, and
distances calculated at face value for log times, except for the final 
log time. Distances reported may be derived from GPS units, locating 
oneself on a map and determining latitude/longitude, or any other
approved source.

     * At the close of the last transmission log time, on-site 
transmission verification will be required in order to determine
category winners.
Contestants agree to provide, if necessary, transportation for contest
staff to and from remote sites in order to verify transmission 
distance, or fuel reimbursement if a contest staff vehicle is used.
Contestants also
agree to provide reimbursement for contest-related long-distance 
telephone calls if needed.

     * Award ceremonies hosted by Dark Tangent will be held Sunday, 
August 3, at which time category winners will be announced, and prizes
awarded.

HOW TO JOIN:

Send an email to [email-masked], or reply to this thread on
the Defcon Chat forum with the following information:

     * Entry name
     * Name of contact person for your entry
     * If you have a team, number of people on your team
     * What category(ies) you wish to enter (maximum 2)
     * Team website for us to link to, if any

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/