Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Sues, Saying Nextel Spied

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:18:06 -0400

Verizon Sues, Saying Nextel Spied

06/27/2003 08:10 PM EDT

With increasing competition as the backdrop, Verizon Wireless is suing Nextel
(NXTL:Nasdaq - news - commentary - research - analysis), charging its rival with
industrial espionage.

In a suit filed Friday in federal District Court in Alexandria, Va., Verizon
alleges that Nextel obtained a prototype of a forthcoming phone, and then used it
to obtain "unauthorized access" to the Verizon network to check out its
walkie-talkie feature.
Verizon Wireless is expected to launch its own version of Nextel's popular "Direct
Connect" service, which lets cell-phone users connect via a two-way radio feature.

"Nextel's unauthorized testing of Verizon Wireless' prototype push to talk
handsets and network allowed Nextel to improperly obtain valuable, confidential,
and proprietary business information," the suit claims.

Nextel replied in a written statement saying:

"We are baffled by the claims made by Verizon Wireless. We are still in the
process of reviewing the filing, but we believe it is entirely without merit and
we will defend Nextel vigorously."

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech/billsnyder/10096999.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/