Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police cars get wireless Web access

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:16:02 -0400

Police cars get wireless Web access

June 29, 2003

LAKE IN THE HILLS

Police in Lake in the Hills can now surf the Web from their squad cars as they
cruise the streets.

"It's the same wireless Internet that could be used at home," said Officer Robert
Harper, the Police Department's supervisor of information services.

The 13 squad cars equipped for wireless Internet already had laptop computers. It
cost the department about $1,000 each for the radio modems that connect the
computers to the Internet. A local Internet company provides the service for free.

"Before, officers would have to come into the station to do that," Harper said.
"This way, they can stay out in the community."

The squad cars have been connected for about a month. Officers can read e-mail,
check crime statistics or look up a sexual offender's profile on the Illinois
State Police Web site. Officers are learning new ways to use the connection, he
said.

One officer took his monthly refresher course on laws and regulations from his
squad car, Harper said. "I think we're going to find more and more uses for this,"
he said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=chi-0306280370jun29&section=/printstory

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/