Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Towers likely outside wireless district: Companies say Wayland's designated area would interfere with communication signals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:45:04 -0400

Towers likely outside wireless district: Companies say Wayland's designated area
would interfere with
communication signals

By Andrew Ravens / News Staff Writer
Sunday, June 29, 2003

WAYLAND -- In light of a recent judge's ruling against the town in Nextel's quest
to erect cellular towers, local officials are now trying to reach accommodations
with other companies.

Earlier this week, Selectman Brian O'Herlihy publicly aired results from a meeting
he had with cell phone representatives.
According to O'Herlihy, providers are still intent on placing wireless
communication facilities outside the special area the town has set aside for them.

Earlier this year, the Zoning Board of Appeals was ordered by the U.S.  District
Court to give Nextel a variance and site plan approval to install a cell phone
antenna on an Nstar transmission tower on Rte. 20.

O'Herlihy said one or more cell phone companies are eyeing a piece of land off
Boston Post Road called the Clock Store parcel. Locating there would give cell
phone companies better coverage between Wayland Center and the Wayland-Weston
border.

The Clock Store parcel, next to Luigi's restaurant on Rte. 20, is outside the
current wireless district, which lays by the landfill on the Sudbury border on
Rte. 20.

"I did my best to get them to relocate in the district," O'Herlihy told
selectmen.

Executive Secretary Jeff Ritter, Town Counsel Mark Lanza, Conservation
Administrator Brian Monahan and Town Planner Joe Laydon attended the June 5
meeting with representatives from AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Sprint and Eastern
Tower, a wireless tower leasing company.

"In support of their position that the wireless communications district was not a
viable alternative, they pointed out that AT&T, Sprint and Verizon (not in
attendance) were already located on a tower at the Sudbury landfill, which is
located a very short distance from the wireless communications district," said
O'Herlihy.

O'Herlihy said Cingular was also in the process of asking for permission to locate
on that same tower. AT&T, Cingular and Sprint were also planning on locating
antennas on a recently approved tower at the Weston Police Station on Rte. 20,
O'Herlihy said.

The cell phone companies argue installing antennas in Wayland's wireless district
might interfere with signals being emitted from existing and proposed facilities
at the Sudbury landfill, said O'Herlihy.

"Some of them seemed willing to re-examine the wireless communication district,"
said O'Herlihy. "But all of them reiterated it was unlikely that they would be
able to deal with the coverage requirement from a facility located within the
wireless communications district."

In a memo, O'Herlihy said he told cell phone companies that Wayland would defend
itself in court again.
During Monday's selectmen meeting, resident Diana Warren, familiar with the town's
history in cell phone matters, said residents opposed cell phone towers for
several reasons.

"There are health concerns and whether the towers were appropriate in
residentially zoned districts," said Warren. "They (towers) are ugly, towering
over neighborhoods. There are also concerns about property values, land use and
safety where children live and play nearby them."

Ed Collins, an attorney and Wayland resident, told selectmen the town should have
appealed the Nextel decision.
"The town rolled over and played dead," said Collins. "It's unfortunate the town
did not appeal the case. They (cell phone companies) realize they can locate where
they want. They can intimidate neighbors and towns. This was an appealable issue."

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/local_regional/wayl_celltowers06292003.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/