Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mass. State Police to roll out high-tech patrol cars

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:23:08 -0400

Mass. State Police to roll out high-tech patrol cars

06/06/03

By William Welsh,
Staff Writer

Four companies are sharing a four-year, $13 million contract to provide the
Massachusetts State Police with 2,000 mobile computers for patrol cars,
Hewlett-Packard Co. announced this week.

Other companies on the contract are Itronix, Spokane, Wash.; Public Safety Group
Inc., Winter Park, Fla.; and L&E Mobile Computers and Mounts Inc., Woodlands,
Texas.

Under the contract, HP will provide project management and integration; PSG will
provide message switching and application software; Itronix will provide wireless,
rugged laptop and tablet personal computers; and L&E will provide mounting
hardware, printers, antennas and installation service.

State troopers will be able to use the mobile computers to tap into multiple
databases, such as the state motor vehicle registry and the FBI crime database;
obtain information about outstanding warrants, driver's licenses and vehicle
registrations; and check stolen property records and gun registrations, HP said.

The project demonstrates that technology can place such information at the
fingertips of law enforcement personnel in the field, said Cathy Martin, director
of state and local government, HP Public Sector Organization.

"Ten years ago, technology was housed in the back room at the station house," she
said. "Now it's in the patrol car and out on the street, helping law enforcement
keep citizens safe."

http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/20944-1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/