Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Special Presentation by FCC Chairman Powell

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:28:11 -0400

APCO International's 69th
                                   Annual Conference & Exposition
                                        News & Current Events
          August 10-14, 2003 *  Indiana Convention Center & RCA Dome * Indianapolis, Indiana

 [Photograph of FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell]  Monday, August 11, 2003at 1:00pm
                                                 Special Presentation by FCC Chairman Powell

Exciting News!Michael K. Powell, Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission will be giving a
special address to APCO International attendees during the FCC Regulatory Review Panel on Monday,
August 11, 2003at 1:00pm!

              REGISTER TODAY for APCO International's Annual Conference and Exposition.
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Powell was sworn in as a member of the Commission on November 3, 1997. He was designated Chairman
by President Bush on January 22, 2001 and also nominated by President William J. Clinton on July 31,
1997, and confirmed by the United States Senate on October 28, 1997.

In addition to his normal duties, Mr. Powell serves as the FCC's Defense Chairman and is responsible
for overseeing all National Security Emergency Preparedness functions for the Commission. He also
served as the FCC representative to the President's Council on Year 2000 Conversion which was
established by President Clinton on February 4, 1998, to address the Year 2000 computer problem.

Mr. Powell previously served as the Chief of Staff of the Antitrust Division in the Department of
Justice. In that capacity, he advised the Assistant Attorney General on substantive antitrust matters,
including policy development, criminal and civil investigations and mergers. Prior to joining the
Antitrust Division, Mr. Powell was an associate in the Washington, D.C.office of the law firm of
O'Melveny & Myers LLP, where he focused on litigation and regulatory matters involving
telecommunications, antitrust and employment law. Mr. Powell graduated from
the GeorgetownUniversityLawCenterfollowing which he served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Harry
T. Edwards, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

Before attending law school, Mr. Powell served as a policy advisor to the Secretary of Defense on
matters involving the United States-Japan security relationship. Mr. Powell's experience also includes
military service as an armor officer in the United States Army. He spent the majority of his active
service with the 3/2 Armored Cavalry Regiment in Amberg, Germany, serving as a cavalry platoon leader
and troop executive officer. While on duty, Mr. Powell was seriously injured in a training accident
and, after spending a year in the hospital, was retired from service. Mr. Powell graduated in 1985
from the Collegeof Williamand Mary with a degree in Government.

Mr. Powell currently serves on the GeorgetownUniversityLawCenter’s Board of Visitors and the Board of
Directors of the United States Telecommunications Training Institute. He is also a 1999 Henry Crown
Fellow of The Aspen Institute.
Chairman Powell is married to Jane Knott Powell. They live with their two children, Jeffrey and Bryan,
in Fairfax Station, Virginia.
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the largest gathering of public safety communications officials from around the globe, APCO’s
Annual Conference & Exposition offers a forum unparalleled in professional, technological, and
educational opportunity. The strength and expertise of our membership provides a key climate for
information exchange, program & product visibility, training, and education. This is an event you
don’t want to miss! Our continued service since 1935 has fostered an in-depth understanding of public
safety communicators’ needs and has allowed us to create a solid vision for the future. Come race
through communications history with us, as we address today’s public safety communications' challenges
using the knowledge of our successes and experiences throughout the years. Connecting the Past and the
Present to Build a Vision for the future.

APCO International's Annual Conference and Exposition is the premier conference that provides
communications centers' professionals with invaluable information on the critical issues facing
operations today.  This year's Annual Conference & Exposition will be held in Indianapolis, Indiana on
August 10-14, 2003.
For more information about The 69th Annual  APCO International Conference & Exposition click on the
following links:

                        Program Highlights / Registration / Housing / Sponsors

If you have any questions about the program and how APCO has created it to help your agency, please
call us at 1.888.APCO.911 (888.272.6911).  Also, please review the latest additions to the program for
APCO International's Annual Conference and Exposition at its web site www.apco911.org/conferences.
         [Image] APCO International is the oldest and largest public safety communications
                 organization in the world and is the only association that handles the entire
                 operational scope of emergency communications. APCO’s 16,000 members represent
        public safety agencies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as U.S.
        territories and 34 other countries. For more information, visit www.apco911.org.