Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Public Safety Leaders Address Critical Arizona Homeland Security Communi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:46:05 -0400

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
foonboss
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications

Nextel: Public Safety Leaders Address Critical Arizona Homeland Security Communications Needs
Thursday June 5, 12:30 pm ET

Arizona Head of Emergency Management Frank Navarrete and Former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director James Lee Witt Address Interoperable Communications in Arizona

PHOENIX--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 5, 2003--
Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today is hosting a
conference at the Biltmore Resort in Phoenix devoted to improving
interoperable communications, overall public safety and homeland
security in Arizona.

The event focuses on the pressing advanced day-to-day and
emergency communications needs facing police, fire, emergency
management and other public safety and health officials. More than 150
homeland security, public safety and public health officials from
throughout the state of Arizona are in attendance.

The conference addresses interoperability - the idea that all
public safety officials must have the ability to easily and directly
connect with one another through reliable and secure communications
regardless of agency, jurisdiction or department.

Speakers include Frank Navarrete, Director of Arizona Division of
Emergency Management; James Lee Witt, President of James Lee Witt
Associates and former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director;
Frank Luntz, President, Watts-Luntz Communications; and Morgan
O'Brien, Nextel Vice Chairman.

Conference participants will reflect on the lessons learned from
last year's communications efforts related to fighting the largest
fire in Arizona's history. Nextel's interoperable communications
played a significant role in helping firefighters coordinate strategy
to fight the blaze that threatened to consume the town of Show Low.

Nextel contributed 180 phones to emergency workers fighting the
wildfire, including the U.S. Forest Service, Arizona Fire Management
Division, Gila (Arizona) County Sheriff's Department and the Forest
Service Law Enforcement Group. In addition, Nextel deployed three cell
sites on wheels (COWs) in Tonto National Forest to ensure seamless
service.

James Lee Witt, President of James Lee Witt Associates and former
Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), emphasized
that interoperable communications is one of the foundations for
keeping communities safe every day and during crises. "Effective
communications helped Arizona's firefighters successfully respond to
the wildfires last year. Our nation's first responders need to have
the tools to be able to communicate during day-to-day operations and
in emergency situations."

Today's event is one of a series of interoperability conferences
that Nextel is hosting around the country. These conferences are
designed to educate government and public safety officials about the
capabilities of and demand for interoperability.

Nextel Vice Chairman Morgan O'Brien noted, "It is a true honor to
have those who have been on the front lines with us here to reinforce
and highlight our commitment to reliable, secure and interoperable
communications tools. We believe that the public sector in Arizona
deserves the best available communications technology. We continue to
enhance Nextel's unique technology to serve your needs and give you
world-class capabilities."

About Nextel Communications

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully-integrated wireless voice and data
communications services including Direct Connect®- the long-range
digital walkie-talkie feature; all-digital cellular service; Nextel
Online® wireless data solutions; and two-way messaging.

Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. have built the largest guaranteed
all-digital wireless network covering 198 of the top 200 U.S. markets.
Nextel and Nextel Partners' wireless voice and packet data
communications services are available in areas of the U.S. where
approximately 240 million people live or work.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Phoenix
Media
Jennifer Weland, 925/279-2363
or
Leigh Horner, 919/465-3712
or
Investors
Paul Blalock, 703/433-4300

Source:
Nextel Communications
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

Stop Snoring Now - Sleep Better Tonight

·

Get a FREE Mortgage REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!

·

Wireless Video Surveillance

·

Save Big Time at 1800inkjets!

·

Save 80% on inkjet cartridges at Myinks.com

·

Best CEO? Best Practices? Search eLibrary.

·

Rent DVDs-Try FREE today!

·

Are your house payments too high? Refinance

Related
Quote

NXTL

15.07

-0.16

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

[external] Better Times Arrive for Sprint PCS - at TheStreet.com (1:26 pm)

·

[external] Would You Buy This Stock, Modelman? - at TheStreet.com (7:21 am)

·

[external] RBC connects with Sprint PCS; shares gain - at CBS MarketWatch (Wed Jun 4)

·

Nextel Makes History with Nationwide Direct Connect--The Longest Range Digital Walkie-Talkie - Business Wire (Mon Jun 2)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Government, Law, Networking, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Data Show Shaky U.S. Economic Recovery - Reuters (1:35 pm)

·

30-, 15-Year Mortgage Rates Set New Lows - Reuters (2:20 pm)

·

Blue-Chips Sag After Jobs Data, Earnings - Reuters (12:59 pm)

·

Euro Rises 2 Percent on Session Vs Dollar - Reuters (12:12 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Research
Reports
Expert insight at great prices

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.