Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Operators look for 3G alternatives

From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:24:56 -0000

Operators look for 3G alternatives
June 9, 2002

Operators have realised existing 3G technologies do not address the 
complete market opportunity for mobile data services, and are 
actively seeking alternatives in the search to find a technology 
that will deliver on the promise of 3G for the enterprise market, 
according to U.S.-based Flarion Technologies.

Indeed, Ronny Haraldsvik senior directing of marketing strategy at 
Flarion says its "flash-OFDM technology will be commercially 
deployed by year-end. We've met all operators in Europe, and
they've spent a lot of time inspecting us, but they don't want to
overhang existing business plans, and they have to manage 
expectation carefully." But Haraldsvik predicts between eight to 
twelve operators in three continents will deploy Flash-OFDM, an all 
IP-based wide-area high-speed wireless data solution, by year-end.

Flarion's vice president EMEA Andrew Gilbert paints a picture in 
which two years ago operators showed no interest in alternative 3G 
technologies, telling vendors, "the 3G train had already left the 
station." Since then, the train has not only backed into the 
station – six months ago operators got off and began looking for 
other routes to mobile data heaven. Regarding Flash-OFDM, Gilbert 
says, "six months ago we were told by operators, `absolutely
we're interested in what you've got, let's talk.'"

Moreover, PCs will be routinely fitted with Flash-OFDM cards from 
next year, the company says. "We'll open the door for computing 
vendors to get into packet switched airlinks," says Haraldsvik, 
predicting success from the company's decision to license its
Flash-OFDM technology. Indeed, U.S. computing giant Cisco Systems is 
one of Flarion's shareholders. 

Right now, Flarion says operators worldwide are trialing its Flash-
OFDM technology, including Nextel, SK Telecom, Hanaro and KT. The 
company says operators are attracted to the highly reliable and 
efficient transmission of data applications in a completely IP-based 
environment that Flash-OFDM allows. The company estimates its packet 
switched radio solution can be deployed for between one-third and 
one-fifth of the cost of existing 3G technologies. 

"Big enterprise companies want to mobilize desktop data
experiences, but existing 2G and 3G networks are still essentially 
voice-oriented," says Haraldsvik. "The corporate data market is
huge and existing technologies can only marginally support current 
mobile data needs of large companies," Haraldsvik says. Gilbert 
cites research that indicates two thirds of enterprises would rather 
do nothing than wireless-enable their data needs than do it poorly 
to prove the need for alternatives to existing mobile data solutions.

But while there are at present significant regulatory hurdles to 
overcome – in Europe at least – Gilbert says the only
stipulation in 3G licenses regulators have yet to change (having 
already backtracked on time frames and network sharing) is the kind 
of 3G technology operators have to deploy. "Regulators are looking to
be more open to operators, and the regulatory environment will
change," says Gilbert, "and when an operators feels comfortable 
enough with alternative 3G technologies, they'll approach the 
regulator to allow it."
------------------------------
...between eight to twelve 
operators in three continents will deploy Flash-OFDM, an all IP-
based wide-area high-speed wireless data solution, by year-end.

Thats pretty impressive stuff. How many conventional handset mfg's 
do they have on board???

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/