Subject: [NEXTEL-1] White House Unveils New Spectrum Initiative

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:29:53 -0400

WASHINGTON -- The White House announced today a new effort to "better
manage" the nation's spectrum in light of growing demands from the
private and government sector.

The new White House interagency Task Force, announced by the Commerce
Department’s National Telecommunications & Information
Administration -- the White House's spectrum policy group -- will be
made up of the Department of Defense, Transportation and Homeland Security,
the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration, according to NTIA.

Commerce Secretary Don Evans said the effort would be the first
comprehensive study of federal government radio spectrum policy in the
modern era and will build on previous administration efforts to
improve spectrum management.

The Task Force is slated to issue recommendations on management within
one year, including how DOD, Department of Transportation, Homeland
Security, FAA and NASA can better use spectrum

The Task Force also will hold a series of public meetings with private
industry, as well as state and local governments looking for ideas.

The announcement was met with initial praise from industry. "We
welcome the president's continued leadership in this important area,"
stated CTIA President and CEO Tom Wheeler. "The tools we have for
formulating spectrum policy are broken, and we look forward to working
with the task force under Secretary Evans' leadership to ensure this
national resource is fully utilized as a national safety and economic
growth asset."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/