Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bubbling Barry West On Radio Frequency planning tool from ComOpt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:10:56 -0400

Bubbling Barry West On Radio Frequency planning tool from ComOpt

June 24, 2003 03:55 PM US Eastern Timezone

ComOpt Enhances Frequency Planning Software for Cellular Networks; CellOpt AFP
Sets New Standards for Functionality, Scalability, and Ease of Use

ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 24, 2003--ComOpt AB, leading developer of
wireless network optimization applications, announced today the availability of
version 3.0 of CellOpt(R) AFP (Automatic Frequency Planning). First introduced by
ComOpt in 1997, CellOpt AFP has become a leading frequency planning tool employed
in more than 100 wireless markets in more than 30 countries. CellOpt AFP enables
cellular network operators to improve the quality of service without increasing
network infrastructure costs. Capable of handling even the most complex networks,
CellOpt AFP can be installed and fully implemented including training in less than
a week, all without consultants.
"We have been very pleased with the Radio Frequency planning tool from ComOpt,"
said Barry West, CTO at Nextel Communications. "By using CellOpt AFP, Nextel has
achieved significant capacity and quality improvement from our spectrum while at
the same time achieving lower levels of capital expenditure."

"CellOpt AFP 3.0 is unrivalled in its sophistication, scalability, and ease of
use. We believe this new generation of CellOpt AFP will become the de-facto
standard in frequency planning," stated Joachim Samuelsson, CEO of ComOpt.

CellOpt AFP 3.0

CellOpt AFP enables users to automate tedious frequency planning tasks, optimize
network quality, minimize network infrastructure investments, and reallocate
spectrum to accommodate data services and new technologies. While other approaches
can take a team of consultants months to prepare and verify, CellOpt AFP is able
to generate even complex plans in just hours, with greater precision and
reliability than other solutions. CellOpt AFP provides excellent support for daily
frequency management as well as network wide retunes in any frequency modulated
technology.

Version 3.0 improves usability, accuracy, and performance, while further reducing
the time to implementation of high-quality frequency plans. Specific enhancements
include:

-- New user interface with wizards that guide the user within the application.

-- Automatic input data analysis that prompts the user in case of any input
errors.

-- Exceptional data management for fast preparation of reports and optimization
process.

-- Improved priority structure of assignment rules and planning preferences.

-- Significant technology enhancements in both GSM and iDEN frequency planning.

-- Improved quality analysis with new drill down capability to analyze the data.

-- Interactive retune support for manual retuning.

About ComOpt AB

A specialist in wireless network planning and optimization since 1996, ComOpt
addresses the pressing need for a more efficient and reliable approach to the
tasks of frequency planning in the growing wireless network marketplace. During
the last year, ComOpt has increased revenue by more than 100 percent and has more
than doubled in size. The company's global office is located in Helsingborg,
Sweden, with its American headquarters in Arlington, Va. For more information,
visit www.comopt.com.

Contacts

 ComOpt AB, Helsingborg
Joachim Samuelsson, +46 42 38 99 00
[email-masked]
or
ComOpt Inc., Arlington
Vince D'Onofrio, 703/807-0900
[email-masked]
or
TopSpin Communications Inc.
Joe Waldygo, 480/632-5050 (Media)
[email-masked]

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20030624005758&headlineSearchConfigBO=1056366000000%201056535587000%20%20groupByDate%20%201%209999%20192546000000%20CellOpt%2BAFP%2B3.0%2B%20%20%20%20%20false%20false%20&newsLang=en&beanID=2133606841&viewID=news_view

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Paul J. Zawada" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:14:42 -0500

>the same time achieving lower levels of capital expenditure."

<rant>

So is this the reason why the fire up their base stations on channels 
they don't have licensed?  At the utility where I used to work, every 
couple of months we'd need to have a fox hunt to find the Nextel site 
that was operating illegally on one of our channels.   (I got to be 
pretty good at it, I could find an offending site with an IFR-1200, 
11-element yagi, and step attenuator in a couple hours or less.) 
Nextel would put one of their sites on the air on top of one of our 
channels, sometimes only a couple of miles from our location.    We'd 
call them up to tell them to turn it off and they'd say something 
like "sorry, we forgot to cross that channel off the list" or "sorry, 
one of our new engineers came from the cellular world and doesn't 
understand how our channels are licensed..."  I guess they can blame 
the planning software now...

</rant>

--zawada

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
$50 - $100 gift card with digital cameras & camcorders $299 & up
Now you can have the digital camera or camcorder of your dreams, and a gift card to put towards a future purchase. Excludes select models.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nUAHtC/mNRGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:17:39 -0400

NEXHELL motto. Who we cannot bribe or who we cannot fool we just do & see
what happens!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul J. Zawada" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Bubbling Barry West On Radio Frequency planning tool
from ComOpt