Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bar Code Scanner for iDEN Mobiles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:42:05 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/June2003/5489.htm
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Bar
Code Scanner for Mobiles

16th
June 2003

US
: Nextel Communications, Motorola and Symbol Technologies announced
the availability of the first bar code scanner attachment for mobile
phones. The Symbol PSM20i allows mobile workers to use their phones
to collect information wirelessly and in real time. This solution combines
the accuracy and reliability in laser-based bar code scanning with the
extensive voice, data and application capabilities of Nextel’s
Java™ technology-enabled phones from Motorola. Transformed by
Nextel’s wireless data network into a robust tool for mobile connectivity,
the Symbol PSM20i bar code scanner attachment provides workers with
the information and business support systems they need to operate efficiently.

The bar code scanning
attachment works seamlessly in conjunction with Nextel’s wireless
data service to provide field sales and service personnel with access
to and transmission of critical information at their point of activity.
In addition, it helps to reduce data entry errors and enables integrated
applications for specific industry or business use such as asset management,
mobile pick-up and delivery tracking, inventory fulfillment, sales force
automation, and supply chain and inventory management.

The compact, one-ounce
Symbol PSM20i bar code scanning attachment clips directly onto select
Motorola iDEN® phones for Nextel, including the i88s and the i58sr
— two handsets with on-board assisted global positioning system
(AGPS) capabilities. When the bar code scanner is attached, Nextel customers
simply use the Direct Connect® push-to-talk button, located on the
side of every Nextel handset from Motorola, to initiate an instant scan.

“The Symbol
PSM20i is less bulky than traditional bar code scanners, as well as
being fully integrated into our Java and iDEN platforms,” said
Ernie Cormier, vice president, Business Solutions, Nextel. “Thousands
of applications have been deployed across multiple industries. With
the Symbol PSM20i, we are mobilizing those applications to enable real-time
information delivery, accelerating return on investment, reducing costs,
and delivering real value to our customers.”

This multi-vendor
solution is a powerful example of Nextel’s Wireless Business Solutions
(WBS) initiative that combines applications, services, tools and the
support companies need to achieve high performance by delivering real-time
information to mobile decision makers at any location, enabling quick
response among workers in the field and streamlining operations through
faster exchange of information.

“Symbol’s
bar code technology solution complements our strategy to provide value-added
products that help to improve productivity and profitability for businesses,
and that easily integrate into a worker’s environment,”
said Peter Aloumanis, vice president and general manager, US Markets
Division, Motorola’s iDEN Subscriber Group.

By using the Symbol
PSM20i bar code scanning attachment, a Motorola iDEN phone becomes the
ultimate mobility tool. In a typical scenario, a service worker uses
the scanner-enabled phone to immediately scan the bar code on a needed
part, accesses the cellular network, uses the phone’s Java technology-based
application to identify a local depot with that part in stock, hits
the dial key to call the parts manager at the depot, and arranges for
quick courier delivery.

“The addition
of high performance, laser-based bar code scanning to Motorola’s
mobile phone platforms enables a broader array of businesses to enjoy
the productivity improvements possible with automated data capture technology,”
said Bob Sanders, vice president and general manager, Symbol Technologies
Scanner Products Division. “Providing mobility solutions for mission-critical
applications is Symbol’s forte, as demonstrated by the key piece
we are providing to this new solution.”

PSM20i users may
utilize third party or internally developed application software to
enable the functionality of the bar code scanner. For example, AirClic,
a Web-based software and services platform company, can provide the
software, client/server development platform, and/or application hosting
that allow for rapid deployment of mobile bar code scanning applications.
Applications for the product may include package tracking, time and
activity management, and parts and work ordering by field service personnel.

Features

Benefits

Snaps directly onto Motorola i85s, i55sr,

i50sx iDEN phones

Provides bar code data capture with plug-and-play convenience

Incorporates 1D bar code scanner

Fast, accurate, data capture reduces key entry errors

Designed to work with J2ME Java environment

Application flexibility limited only by your imagination

Developer's software tools are available, including a Java class library

Customize applications to your specific needs

Functional, lightweight

Easy to use and operate; fits easily into a pocket

PSM20i Specification
Highlights

Physical
Characteristics

Dimensions:

1.1 in. H x 5.0 in. L x 1.9 in. W/2.8 cm H x 12.7 cm L x 4.8 cm

Adds 1.1 in./2.8 cm to the length of the phone

Weight:

1.4 oz/39 g

Power:

Uses Motorola iDEN phone battery power

Only works with the Standard Motorola battery

Performance
Characteristics

Light Source:

650 nm laser diode

Nominal Working Distance:

1.5 in to 5.0 in./3.8 to 12.7 cm for all supported symbologies

Decode Capability:

UPC/EAN/JAN, Code 128, Code 39, ISBT 128, Interleaved 2 of 5

Minimum/Maximum Element Width:

5 to 30 mil/0.127 to 0.762 mm (scan range will depend upon density)

Application Development:

Software Developers Kit available in the Developers Zone

User Environment

Operating
Temperature:

32º to 104º F/0º C to 40º C

Storage Temperature:

-4º to -76º F/-20º to 60º C

Humidity:

0% to 95% noncondensing

Ambient Light Immunity:

Immune to normal artificial indoor and natural outdoor (direct sunlight)
lighting conditions

Regulatory

Laser Safety:

Laser Safety: CDRH Class II & IEC Class 1 laser safety approvals

Storage Temperature:

-4º to -76º F/-20º to 60º C

EMI / RFI:

FCC Class B to part 15

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Visit
3G Forum

Nokia
Ships 3GPP Compliant GSM/ WCDMA Mobiles

The
Nokia 6650 phone is expected to become available in Europe, Asia and Japan
as mobile operators roll out their 3G services.

NTT
DoCoMo to Expand FOMA 3G Service Areas

NTT
DoCoMo, Inc. and its eight regional subsidiaries announced today that
service area for its third-generation (3G) mobile phone will be expanded
to an additional 43 towns and villages in the Kanto-Koshinetsu region

Mobile
Phone with Color TV Function

Samsung
Electronics has introduced the TV Phone (model: SCH-X820) in Korea that
accesses color TV in real time over VHF/UHF channels (local stations KBS,
MBC, SBS and EBS).

Bar
Code Scanner for Mobiles

This
solution combines the accuracy and reliability in laser-based bar code
scanning with the extensive voice, data and application capabilities of
Nextel’s Java™ technology-enabled phones from Motorola.

Hutchison
3G Respond To Negative Rating

Standard
& Poor's (S&P) ratings action reflects their negative outlook
on the prospects of Hutchison Whampoa Limited's ("HWL") 3G businesses.

Agilent
Takes Chip For 3G Test Equipment

Xilinx
announced that Agilent Technologies, a global technology leader in communications,
utilized Xilinx devices in the development of its latest wireless manufacturing
test solution.

AppEngine
and 3G LAB’s Mobile Interface

This
enables operators to easily build rich communications applications that
combine presence, messaging and voice and deliver them via over-the-air
downloads to a subscriber’s mobile phone.

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.