Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel and Public Safety

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:36:29 -0400

I betcha Motorola, like all savvy manufacturers, has iDEN intellectual
property rights tied up with so many patents all of us together probably
couldn't count them.  Why aren't there any alternate handset
manufacturers?  Because either Mot. won't release the IPR or the price
is too high for adequate return by alternative vendors like Uniden.  It
is, after all, a proprietary system.

Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 9:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel and Public Safety

-------- Original Message --------
   From: Robert Williams
Subject: ReNextel and Public Safety

Let's see, was it $32 million Nextel has promised as sponsorship to
NASCAR and I
believe they promised $850 million to help switch the public safety
agencies in
the 821 MHz band to a lower part of the 800 MHz spectrum to eliminate
the
interference problem, so what's next?  Where is all this money NEXTEL is
promising
coming from?  The big "M" maybe or could this be another Enron?  Either
way, what
they are doing with public safety bothers me.  Besides these are my and
your tax
dollars being spent just as a temporary "band aid" type solution.  I
deal with
five wireless vendors in my line of work and out of the five NEXTEL is
the most
expensive and offer the least amount of coverage.  However, I think
Verizon will
soon give all of the wireless carriers a run for their money because I
understand
they are getting ready to offer "Push-to-talk" on their system too.  Now
won't
that be interesting?

As far as scanning goes, yes it is frustrating to be listening to an
incident
involving police, sheriff, fire, EMS, etc. and hear someone say, "Call
me on the
SouthernLinc or NEXTEL."  Surely, if more and more agencies begin to
rely on iDEN
technology for public safety services, even if it is just for admin
traffic,
Uniden or someone will come out with a scanner capable of monitoring
this type of
system.  Don't you think?

Bob
Marietta, GA

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:41:23 -0400

"Madden, Roger" wrote:

> manufacturers?

>  Because either Mot. won't release the IPR or the price

The Lic rights are too high. A manufacture would need to sell 1.5 Million handsets
just to break even. According to a 2001 Kyocera Wireless Corp. report.

BTW did you get the data on the Hawaii data project?