Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cingular Makes Public Saftey Pitch-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:30:08 -0400

Cingular Makes Public Saftey Pitch-

Looks like Cingular wants some of the Public Safety money too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cingular Prepares Severe Weather Emergency Plans

The upcoming hurricane season is forecasted to have above normal levels of
activity and Cingular Wireless is prepared. As wireless devices become a
significant communications tool in threatening situations, Cingular’s Regional
Network Operations Center (RNOC) is committed to monitoring weather situations and
ensuring that its network is fully capable and its network administrators are in
contact with emergency officials. Cingular’s network has withstood the wrath of
Hurricane Andrew and other storms that ravaged the state of Florida. (Source:
PRNewsWire)

===========================================================

Cingular Wireless is Prepared When Severe Weather Hits; Above-Normal Hurricane
Activity Expected This Year

LAKE MARY, Fla., June 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Is your wireless company prepared
when severe weather hits?  Top hurricane experts from the National Hurricane
Center (NHC) have predicted that the 2003 Atlantic hurricane season will
likely have above-normal levels of activity.  Cingular Wireless customers can
rest assured knowing that their company is ready for Mother Nature's
challenges this hurricane season.  The company's advanced network is designed
to handle severe weather, as well as natural/manmade disasters
"Wireless devices have become a critical communications tool for staying
in touch with friends, colleagues and loved ones, especially during emergency
situations," said Dan Norman, vice-president and general manager, Cingular
Wireless - North Florida.  "Not only are ordinary citizens able to keep in
touch, but State of Florida emergency responders use Cingular Wireless as a
communications backbone during severe weather."

"Cingular Wireless has provided outstanding emergency cellular service to
the Florida National Guard during emergency operations for many years. Their
service is most notable because they make wireless service ready and available
24 hours a day and 7 days a week," said Colonel Eddie Morton Deputy Chief of
Staff, Information Management.  "Commanders and units, anywhere in the state
with about four hours notice -- can conduct a coordinated pick up of critical
cellular communication assets from Cingular Wireless.  This allows us to meet
the emergency demand for cellular communications whenever and wherever it is
required in the state," he said.

To prepare for impending severe weather, Cingular Wireless monitors local
weather situations, and its network team remains in constant contact with
local city and emergency officials.  Cingular also takes steps to ensure that
communities and emergency crews impacted by hurricanes can depend on their
wireless devices to keep in touch.

NHC officials recently advised residents in Atlantic and Gulf Coast states
to be prepared for the upcoming hurricane season, which runs June 1 through
November 30.  The outlook calls for the potential of 11 to 13 tropical storms,
with six to nine becoming hurricanes, and two to four classified as major
hurricanes.

How does Cingular prepare its network for hurricane season?

*  Cingular's Regional Network Operations Center (RNOC) monitors and
maintains its wireless network 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  The
monitoring system allows Cingular to assess and handle any emergency
situation within minutes.

*  Towers and switching centers are designed and built to withstand
hurricane-force winds.

*  As electrical outages are prevalent during storms, Cingular's cell
sites are backed up by high-capacity batteries and  emergency
generators, ensuring a secure source for power if needed.

*  Cingular has Cellular on Wheels (known as "COWs"), which are self-
contained mobile cell sites that can be towed or driven into an area to
provide extra call capacity or to restore communications following a
disaster.

*  Smaller than a "COW" are "COLTs" -- or Cellular on Light Trucks, which
are vehicles that can be driven wherever a mobile cell site is needed
and include two masts for microwave antennas.

*  Rounding out the network menagerie is a "RAT," a backup Remote Antenna
Trailer provides back-up antenna service if a tower is out of service.

"Cingular Wireless has nearly 20 years of experience in handling severe
weather and our network has been tested in the past by the numerous hurricanes
that have hit Florida," Norman says.  "During Hurricane Andrew, our wireless
network remained on air and has continued to perform well during Florida's
other hurricanes and storms since.   And equally important, our employees are
prepared to help customers before, during and after these occurrences."

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-03-2003/0001958657&EDATE=