Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E911 Takes Center Stage In D.C.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:09:17 -0400

E911 Takes Center Stage In D.C.
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JUNE 9, 2003

WASHINGTON -- It should be a busy week here for wireless E911 issues, as the
wireless industry and the government push for more coordination and oversight of
the technology's implementation.

Industry insiders say Representatives Anna Eshoo, D-Calif., and John Shimkus,
R.-Ill., will introduce a bill--possibly Wednesday--requiring states to use funds
designated for wireless E911 efforts directly on those efforts and not divert the
funds elsewhere. The funding mechanisms for wireless E911 in some states have
been used for almost anything but E911, and have become, in some instances, a
simple slush fund that some states dip into with impunity. According to those
close to its development, the new bill is aimed at a few state 'bad actors' that
divert the funds.

Additionally, at a press event here on Thursday, the National Emergency
Numbering Association is expected to release the results of its Strategic Wireless
Access Team's (SWAT) public policy recommendations concerning state
implementation of E911, as well as kick off a 'call to action' on wireless E911
issues at the federal, state and local level. FCC Chairman Michael Powell will
join NENA President John Melcher and other telecommunications industry executives
at the Thursday event.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=06/09/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/