Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel used Filipino lawyers, and dummies to circumvent the ownership laws of Filipino companies.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 04:09:58 -0400

NTC ordered to stop Nextel phone service

The House Committee on Transportation and Communication has ordered the National
Telecommunications Commission to prohibit Nextel Communications Philippines Inc.,
now known as Next Mobile, from offering mobile phone services and should stick to
trunk radio operation. 

Rep. Prospero Nograles chided NTC officials during the committee hearing for being
remiss in their obligation to enforce its own ruling that Nextel is not a mobile
cellular operator and look the other way as Nextel deceives the public into
advertising itself as a cellular phone service provider.

Nograles, together with Northern Samar Rep. Charlin Abayon has sought the
investigation of Nextel following reports that the telecoms firm committed
culpable violations on the constitutional limits on foreign ownership.

Nograles said Nextel's provisional authority from NTC is a "closed user group" to
operate trunk radio alone and was not in any way sanctioned as a mobile phone
service provider.

It was also revealed during the hearing that Nextel indeed used Filipino lawyers,
and dummies to circumvent the constitutional limits on foreign ownership of
Filipino companies.

Foreigners are only allowed to own 40 percent share when investing in a Filipino
corporation. "We found out during the hearing that funds used were American money
send through RCBC Trust Division to pay for the Filipino shares of Nextel
International Inc. dummies," Nograles pointed out.

Nextel International Inc. is purely an American company which has invested on
Nextel. On paper, NII stake on Next Mobile is only 38 percent but in fact owns at
least 80 percent of the company according to documents obtained by Nograles.

 Nograles said the Paras committee has decided to summon officers of the ACCRA
Investments, which is alleged one of the Filipino shareholders of Nextel, RCBC
Trust Division Officials, Bureau of Immigration and the American Incorporators of
Nextel to explain their sides in the next hearing.*

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2003/June/10/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/