Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Anybody at V-Tech for the SDR Workshop?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 00:10:33 -0400

This looks like one of the best Symposium's of the year featuring all the hot
topics.

- SDR
- Power Control on the reverse link
- MIMO
- Comparative Study of Radio Channel Propagation Characteristics for 3G/4G.
- UWB
- Using Power Control to Improve Repeater Operation
=================================================================
SDR Workshop -

Symposium Highlights

On June 4-6, 2003, MPRG will host our Thirteenth Annual Symposium on Wireless
Personal Communications. Researchers and business leaders from around the world
will gather on the Virginia Tech campus to share their latest research, theories,
and techniques in wireless communications.

A major highlight of this year’s symposium, and a very valuable addition to the
program schedule, is a joint workshop sponsored by MPRG and the Software Defined
Radio (SDR) Forum. On Wednesday, June 4, MPRG and the SDR Forum will conduct a
workshop on advances in smart antennas for software radios. The workshop will kick
off Wednesday morning with a tutorial “Smart Antennas for Wireless Networks.” This
tutorial focuses on the fundamentals as well as the application of space-time
processing to 3G and 4G systems. Topics to be covered in this tutorial include: a
review of space-time signal processing techniques (adaptive beamforming and
multiple-input-multiple-output strategies) and their performance benefits; the
integration of space-time processing techniques into 3G and 4G wireless networks,
as well as implementation issues from a software radio perspective; and the
ramifications of smart antenna deployment to wireless networks. The Wednesday
afternoon technical session will feature keynote addresses by leading researchers
in the field, and a general session that will focus specifically on the latest
research trends in software radios, and the implementation of smart antennas into
software radios. The Thursday morning technical sessions will continue the focus
on research in smart antennas.

Handout material from the tutorial and a bound copy of papers presented during the
afternoon session will be available. Refreshment breaks will be provided for
Wednesday’s activities. Lunch will not be provided. However, attendees are
encouraged to dine at the conference center or visit one of the many cafes or
restaurants within walking distance of the center.

This workshop is a valuable addition to our program schedule and MPRG is extremely
grateful to the SDR Forum for their support in this collaborative effort. To learn
more about the SDR Forum including their mission, general meetings, and
membership, please visit their website at www.sdrforum.org.

Wednesday evening will be a time of relaxing and socializing with colleagues and
friends during the gourmet reception. Thursday morning will kick off the technical
presentations and poster sessions which will conclude early on Friday afternoon.
These presentations will feature technical papers presented in the areas of
multi-antenna systems and measurements, wireless networks, and physical layer
design. An expanded poster session including academic and industrial presentations
will allow one-on-one technical discussions of recent advances in the field of
wireless.

Following the technical sessions on Friday, the tutorial “Ultra Wideband
Communication Systems” will be presented. Ultra-wideband has recently gained a lot
of attention as a technique for high-data rate communications. This tutorial will
present the fundamentals of UWB communication systems. Included in the tutorial
will be the propagation characteristics of UWB, antennas for UWB transmission, the
impact of antenna design on system architecture, receiver design, the modulation
formats used, multiple access techniques, simulation of UWB systems, and the
impact of recent FCC rulings. Current players in UWB and the developing 802.14 PAN
standard will be briefly discussed.

As always, we look forward to the symposium party on Thursday evening. After the
conclusion of the technical sessions on Friday, MPRG will host an informal
laboratory Open House from 2:00-4:00 PM. So make plans to stay and tour the MPRG
labs and visit with the faculty, staff, and students. Our students will be looking
forward to sharing their research with you, and the faculty and staff will be
delighted to meet each of you personally.

Make your reservations early to be a part of this year’s symposium. We look
forward to hosting you at Virginia Tech this June!

2003 Wireless Personal Communications Symposium
PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Wednesday, June 4, 2003

7:00 AM - 2:00 PM Registration

8:00 AM - 12:00 PM SDR Forum/MPRG Workshop
Tutorial - “Smart Antennas for Wireless Networks”

9:00 AM – 12:00 PM MPRG Industrial Affiliate Board Meeting
(Closed session to board members. By invitation only)

1:00 PM - 4:00 PM SDR Forum/MPRG Workshop
General Session

6:00-9:00 PM Reception

Thursday, June 5, 2003

7:00-8:00 AM Breakfast Buffet in Commonwealth Dining Room
7:00-9:00 AM Registration

8:30 AM Introduction and Welcome: Donaldson Brown Auditorium
Dr. William H. Tranter, Director, MPRG

SESSION I – MULTI-ANTENNA SYSTEMS AND MEASUREMENTS
Session Chair: Dr. R. Michael Buehrer

8:40-9:00 AM Generalized Design Criteria for Space-Time Codes
Majid Fozunbal, Steven W. McLaughlin, and Ronald W. Schafer, USA

9:00-9:20 AM Performance Analysis for Indoor Wireless Systems Employing
Directional
Antennas Using a Ricean Fading Model
Alex Wong, Michael Neve, and Kevin Sowerby, NEW ZEALAND

9:20-9:40 AM MIMO Radio Channel Parameter Estimation Using the Initialization and
Search Improved SAGE (ISIS) Algorithm
Andreas Stucki, Patrik Jourdan, Bernard H. Fleury, Xuefeng Yin, and Klaus
G.Rohbrandt, SWITZERLAND

9:40-10:00 AM Soft-Input Soft-Output Tree-Search Equalization for MIMO Fading ISI
Channels
Xinde Hu and Heung-no Lee, USA

10:00-11:00 AM Refreshment Break/Poster Session/Exhibits

11:00-11:20 AM An Adaptive Multiple-In-Single-Out (MISO) Diversity Front End for a

CDMA Handset Receiver
Yingxue Li and Haim Harel, USA

11:20-11:40 AM A Closed-Form Power-Law Model Combining One or More Exponent-
Value Segments
Earl McCune, USA

11:40-12:00 Measurement of UWB Signal Interactions with the Human Body
Thad B. Welch and Randall L. Musselman, USA

12:00 -1:15 PM Lunch in Commonwealth Dining Room
Speaker: Mr. Tim Talty, General Motors Corporation

SESSION II – WIRELESS NETWORKS
Session Chair: Dr. Brian Woerner

1:30-1:50 PM ROP: A Network Model for Heterogeneous Sensor Network
Yong Ma, Siddharth Dalal, Majd Alwan, and James Aylor, USA

1:50-2:10 PM Performance of the IEEE 802.11a/b WLAN Standards for Fast-Moving
Network Platforms
Jack Burbank, USA

2:10-2:30 PM Wireless Ad-Hoc Network for Trades Tracking
Daniel Starin, USA

2:30-2:50 PM Cross-Layer Protocols Optimized for Real-Time Multimedia Services in
Energy-Constrained Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
William S. Hortos, USA

2:50-3:30 PM Refreshment Break/Poster Session/Exhibits

3:30-3:50 PM Modeling Power Control Using Game Theory for the Reverse Link in
CDMA Systems
Wiklom Teerapabkajorndet and Prashant Krishnamurthy, USA

3:50-4:10 PM Location Management Costs of Combined TrLA and Timer-Based Location
Registration Schemes
Pablo Garcia Escalle and Vicente Casares Giner, SPAIN

4:10-4:30 PM Using Power Control to Improve Repeater Operation
Kenneth R. Baker, USA

4:30-4:50 PM Wireless System Choices for Next Generation Telematics Systems
Vikas Kukshya, H.P. Hsu, and Timothy Talty, USA

6:00 PM Party Time!!
Friday, June 6, 2003

7:00-8:00 AM Breakfast Buffet in Commonwealth Dining Room
SESSION III – PHYSICAL LAYER DESIGN
Session Chair: Dr. William Tranter

8:30-8:50 AM Performance of a Correlation Receiver With a Feedback Equalizer in a
CDMA Based Wireless Local Loop Environment
A. Feistel, A. Ahrens, R. Rockmann, and K. Jaeckel, GERMANY

8:50-9:10 AM Performance Analysis of Different Ultra Wideband Modulation Schemes
in
the Presence of Multipath
Yasaman Bahreini and Maurice L. Schiff, USA

9:10-9:30 AM Improving the Intersubcarrier Interference Performance of Multitone
Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum via Complex Spreading
Virat Deepak and David W. Matolak, USA

9:30-9:50 AM A GPS Software Application for Embedding in Software Definable Radios

Alison Brown and Jerry Davis, USA

9:50 -10:30 AM Refreshment Break/Poster Session/Exhibits

10:30-10:50 AM Cooperative Diversity Using Distributed Turbo Codes
Bin Zhao and Matthew C. Valenti, USA

10:50-11:10 AM Implementing W-CDMA Receiver Structures on an Adaptive Computing
Platform
Ghobad Heidari and Sharad Sambhwani, USA

11:10-11:30 AM Simulation of an Adaptive Allocation Technique of a DFE Equalizer
Length
for SFN in the ATSC Standard
Estevan Marcelo Lopes, Sandro Adriano Fasolo, and Luciano Leonel Mendes,
BRAZIL

11:30 -12:30 PM Lunch in Commonwealth Dining Room

1:00-4:00 PM Tutorial – “Ultra Wideband Communication Systems”

2:00-4:00 PM MPRG Open House and Lab Tours

4:00 PM Conclusion
============================================================================
 MPRG/SDR Forum Smart Antennas Workshop
Final Program Schedule
Wednesday, June 4, 2003

8:40-11:10 AM Tutorial: “Smart Antennas for Wireless Networks”
Presenters: Drs. A. Annamalai, M. Buehrer, J. Reed, and B.
Woerner, MPRG, Virginia Tech

11:10-11:40 AM Keynote Address
“The Practical Imperative for Adaptive Antennas”
Mr. Marc Goldburg, ArrayComm, Inc.

11:40-1:10 Lunch (on your own)
Technical Presentations

1:10- 1:30 An Adaptive Array SDR Base Station for Commercial Cellular
Applications Michael Komara and Terry Williams, AirNet Communications Corp.

1:30-1:50 Angular Spectra Results for Office Environment
David Cheung, Cliff Prettie, and Jeng Lung, Intel Corporation

1:50-2:10 Beam Forming Algorithms for Smart Antennas
Kesh Bakhru, Cubic Defense Applications

2:10-2:30 Smart Antenna Multistage Interference Cancellation Using the
Second Order Affine Projection Algorithm
Hsin-Chin Liu and John F. Doherty, Penn State University

2:30-3:00 Refreshment Break

3:00-3:20 Multi-Carrier MIMO Communication Systems in a Rayleigh Faded
Environment with Imperfect Channel Estimates
Steve Gifford, John E. Kleider, and Scott Chuprun, General Dynamics

3:50-4:10 Smart Antennas for Consumer Wireless Applications
Michael Lynch and Bing Chiang, Tantivy Communications

4:10-4:30 Field Evaluation of Mobile Handset Receive Diversity Performance
in CDMA2000 IX and 1xEV-DO Networks
Gregory Breit, Fatih Ulupinar, and Mehmet Gurelli, Qualcomm, Inc.

4:30-4:50 Performance of Smart Antenna Base Station Implemented for
CDMA2000 1X
Seungwon Choi, Weon-cheol Lee, Seungheon Hyeon, Hwanseog Bahk,
Cheolhoon Lee, and Jeonghun Kim Hanyang University

4:50-5:10 Efficient Allocation of RF Transceiver Resources in Spatially
Adaptable Communication Networks
Brian Agee, Private Consultant
MPRG/SDR Forum Smart Antennas Workshop
Final Program Schedule
Poster Presentations

(Poster Session Starts at 6:00 PM in Reception Area)

Comparative Study of Radio Channel Propagation Characteristics for 3G/4G

Communication Systems
Chan-Byoung Chae, Changho Suh, and Marcos Katz, Samsung Electronics

Adaptive Antenna at the Cellular Mobile Handset for Reduced Deposition of Power in

Human Head

Rejesh Khanna, Thapar Institute of Engr., and Rajiv Saxena, Madhan Institute of
Tech.

Principles of a Software Radio System Based on Cluster of Workstations

Sujian Zhao, Ming Zhao, Xin Su, and Yan Yao, Tsinghua University

Architecture of a Software Radio System Based on Cluster of Workstations

Sujian Zhao, Xin Su, Ming Zhao, and Yan Yao, Tsinghua University

http://www.mprg.org/2003symposium/2003symposium.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/