Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: NEXTEL-1- I just had a brainstorm.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:01:26 -0400

Sparkie this one is for you too.
Very interesting.....

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mark Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NEXTEL-1- I just had a brainstorm.]

We also have such a Server - it is part of our
Asset-Tracking-and-Management-System (ATMS) (http://www.intGPS.com) We
maintain servers that are tracking mobile assets 24/7/365 worldwide on a
real-time basis.  You can monitor these assets in real-time by downloading
our software or can view the data from a demo fleet web page
(http://igt15.gpsgis.com/gpsserver/)  We make this server for demonstrations
and pilot programs, and allow users to send their own data (on prior
approval) to our Servers by e-mail, TCP/IP , or UDP.  If you are interested
in this to send data for your applications, contact IGTI, Inc. for more
information.

Technical Support
IGTI, Inc.

-------- Original Message --------
From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] I just had a brainstorm.

> I just had a brainstorm.  With all these GPS and network enabled
phones,
> everyone could send their location in a packet to a common server
that
> displays the location and time it received the 'ping'  This way we
would
> have a real-time real world map of network status.  Thoughts
anyone?

This already exists. I've tested it. The folks behind it are
finishing up some patents, even though they built it completely with
open-source software. checkout www.opengis.org and its ilk.

Backstory:
I saw it at the CTIA. Rumor has it that sprint execs were going to
launch LBS services in April, and apparently were quite surprised as
to what this type of app would allow. ie. No value in being first.

Carriers are fluxmexed(sp?) as to how to deal with this and other
apps that transfer TOOOOOO much control to subscribers and away from
themselves. In other words they are pissed. But Charles Schumer is a
very happy man. He's been want to do something like this for years
and now he can claim a private market solution to one his dreams.

Don't be surprised if a bill is introduced around or after the WLNP
date that will mandate the carriers CAN NOT block subscribers access
to their own GPS/LBS data, and CAN NOT interfere with whomever a sub
chooses to share his GPS/LBS data with. Ouch, carriers will really
be nothing more than dumb pipes!!!

--
                "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
                Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

                "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

                "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
           The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/