Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Reports-136 million mobile wireless telephone service subscriptions.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:55:23 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE				NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
June 12, 2003							Mike Balmoris at (202) 418-0253
Email: [email-masked]

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RELEASES DATA ON
LOCAL TELEPHONE COMPETITION

Customer Lines Reported by New Entrants Totaled 25 Million at End of 2002
Represents 13% of Total Access Lines

Washington, D.C. - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today released
summary statistics of its latest data on local telephone service competition in
the United States.  Telecommunications service providers file data on lines in
service to end-user customers and mobile wireless telephone subscribership twice a
year in the Commission's local competition and broadband data gathering program
(FCC Form 477).

Reporting of state-level data is mandatory for carriers with at least 10,000
switched access lines, or at least 10,000 mobile wireless telephone service
subscribers, in a state.  Statistics released today summarize FCC Form 477 filings
from qualifying providers as of March 1, 2003, and reflect data as of December 31,
2002.

Summary Statistics

· End-user customers obtained local telephone service by means of some 163 million
incumbent local exchange carrier (ILEC) switched access lines, 25 million
competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) switched access lines, and 136 million
mobile wireless telephone service subscriptions.

· Total CLEC end-user switched access lines increased by 14% during the second
half of 2002, from 21.6 million to 24.8 million lines.  By comparison, total CLEC
lines increased by 10% during the preceding six months, from 19.7 to 21.6 million
lines.  For the full year, CLEC end-user lines increased by 26%.

· About 13.2% of the 188 million total end-user switched access lines were
reported by CLECs, compared to 10.3% a year earlier.

· 58% of CLEC end-user switched access lines served residential and small business
customers, compared to 78% of ILEC lines.  CLECs reported 10.2% of total
residential and small business switched access lines, compared to 6.6% a year
earlier.

· During the second half of 2002, cable-telephony lines increased by 15% to 3.0
million lines, from 2.6 million.  The 3.0 million reported cable-telephony lines
constituted about 12% of switched access lines provided by CLECs and about 2% of
total switched access lines.

· CLECs reported providing about 19% (a decline from 43% in December 1999) of
their switched access lines by reselling the services of other carriers and about
55% (an increase from 24% in December 1999) by means of unbundled network element
(UNE) loops leased from other carriers.  The remainder of CLEC lines was provided
over local-loop facilities owned by the CLECs.

· ILECs reported providing about 37% more UNE loops with switching to other
carriers at the end of December 2002 than they reported six months earlier (10.2
million compared to 7.5 million) and about 5% more UNE loops without switching
(about 4.3 million compared to 4.1 million).

· At least one CLEC was serving local telephone service end-user customers in 69%
of the nation's zip codes at the end of December 2002, up from 62% a year
earlier.  About 94% of United States households reside in these zip codes.  CLECs
reported customers in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

As additional information becomes available, it will be routinely posted on the
Commission's Internet site.

The report is available for reference in the FCC's Reference Information Center,
Courtyard Level, 445 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC.  Copies may be purchased by
calling Qualex International at (202) 863-2893.  The report can also be downloaded
from the FCC-State Link Internet site at www.fcc.gov/wcb/stats.

- FCC -

Wireline Competition Bureau contacts:  Industry Analysis and Technology Division
at (202) 418-0940, TTY (202) 418-0484.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/