Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Anne Arundel Cuts Radio Budget

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 03:58:16 -0400

Anne Arundel Cuts Radio Budget

Maybe someone told them the "Scam Plan" will make up for their short
fall-
Hahhahahah!

======================================================
County trims funds for firehouse, radio system
$6.8 million saved to offset possible state funding cuts

By Ryan Davis
Sun Staff
Originally published May 25, 2003

In trimming the proposed county budget by $6.8 million, Anne Arundel's
top
officials agreed to scale back two public safety projects, amid a
variety of
minor cuts elsewhere in the budget.

The $895 million operating budget and $108.5 million capital budget are
the
county's spending plans for the next fiscal year, which begins July 1.
The
savings identified last week will be used as a cushion against
additional cuts
in state funding, which are expected in the coming weeks.

County Executive Janet S. Owens had proposed spending $420,000 next
fiscal year to buy land for a new Lake Shore Fire Station in Pasadena.
The
nearly 60-year-old station is owned by a volunteer fire company but also
is
used by career firefighters. Volunteers and the firefighters union agree
that
the building has problems, though they disagree about the severity of
the
problems.

The station sits in Councilman Ronald C. Dillon Jr.'s district. Dillon
said he
pushed to remove the money from the budget because the price tag for a
new station was more than $4.8 million. Dillon said the council wants to

delay construction until it can curtail the cost. Baltimore County has
built
stations for less than $2 million, he said.

In its place, the council and Owens agreed to spend $90,000 for repairs,

Dillon said. He added that he hopes a new station can be built by the
2006-2007 fiscal year.

The council and Owens also agreed to cut next year's spending on a new
public-safety communications system to $3.9 million. Owens had proposed
spending $5.1 million.

In past years, Owens' administration sought - and the council approved -

$15 million to upgrade the radio system that police and firefighters use
to
communicate. The system has several dead spots around the county where
radios don't work.

This year, the administration said the system had a more serious problem

than expected with cell phone interference and would require $20 million
in
additional fixes, including $5.1 million this year.

Dillon said the $1.2 million spending cut will not delay the project. He
said it
merely pushes back funding that wouldn't have been used until the
2004-2005 fiscal year.
http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/annearundel/bal-ar.cuts25may25,0,7348385.story?coll=bal-local-arundel

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
Subscribe to Nextel1:  http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

    "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2:  http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/