Subject: [NEXTEL-1] University of San Diego Extends Higher Education Across Campus Airwaves With 3Com Wireless Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:18:46 -0400

The University of San Diego has created a wireless LAN across its
180-acre campus using equipment and network management software
from 3Com. The company said the WLAN provides Internet and
on-campus access in 30 buildings for the school's 6,000 students and
850 faculty and staff.

=================================================================================
University of San Diego Extends Higher Education Across Campus Airwaves With 3Com
Wireless Network

Business Editors/Education Writers/High-Tech Writers

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 4, 2003--

Students, Faculty and Administrative Staff Gain Near Ubiquitous Access to Internet
and University's Online Resources

At University of San Diego (USD), the pursuit of academic excellence extends to
the technology used to support its 30 programs of study. That's why when USD
learned it could increase Internet and network access across its scenic 180-acre
campus via a wireless network from 3Com Corporation (Nasdaq: COMS), its decision
was academic.

Today, using 25 3Com(R) 11 Mbps Wireless LAN Access Points linked to 300 3Com
switches in 30 buildings and a 3Com network management solution, USD provides
wireless access to 6,000 students and 850 faculty and staff.

"Our 3Com wireless network greatly enriches the educational experience at USD by
stretching the learning environment across our entire campus," said Tina Wing,
network technician, USD. "The high-value wireless network is practical, easy to
maintain, and, with 3Com's management solution, provides an exceptional low total
cost of ownership."

Affixed to walls and ceilings in classrooms, administrative buildings and soon to
be installed in the campuses two libraries, the access points are dramatically
improving users' productivity. Students, faculty and administrators can now access
the Internet, check email or search online university resources from virtually any
location throughout USD's lush, ocean-side campus, including the campus coffee
house, cafeteria and courtyard. Students, for example, enjoy anywhere, anytime
access to USD's Copley Library, including its major bibliographic and information
databases from academic and public libraries worldwide.

Head-of-the-Class Functionality

USD "went wireless" to support the changing communications requirements, demands
and opportunities presented in today's educational environment, where students and
faculty are as likely to tote a laptop as a spiral-bound notebook. Recognizing the
cost advantages of extending campus-wide connectivity via a wireless LAN compared
to wired systems, the university chose 3Com Access Points over Apple's AirPort
system because of their proven performance as well as the ability of each access
point to support 256 simultaneous users.

Faculty in the School of Business Administration were the first to deploy 3Com
Access Points throughout their building. The university is budgeting to provide
wireless service to every building on campus. The 3Com 11Mbps Wireless LAN Access
Point 8000s extend wireless coverage up to 1,000 feet and deliver wireless
Ethernet links to 3Com SuperStack(R) 3 Switch 4400 switches stationed across the
campus. The Switch 4400s connect to USD's core network and support 15 departmental
virtual LANs (VLANs), simplifying the university's network administration.

3Com's Network Supervisor management application enables IT staff to easily map
and monitor the entire network, allowing them to view network events and isolate
network troubles.

"Our 3Com wireless solution is significantly enhancing the productivity of
University of San Diego students," said Wing. "Using 3Com systems, our students,
professors and staff have immediate access to the academic resources they need,
making our campus a cohesive community where learning can take place anywhere at
any time."

About 3Com

3Com is a tier-one provider of innovative, practical and high-value voice and data
networking products, services and solutions for enterprises of all sizes and
public sector organizations. For further information, please visit www.3com.com,
or the press site www.3com.com/pressbox.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.060403/231555302&directory=/google&header_file=header.htm&footer_file=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/