Subject: [NEXTEL-1] American Airlines relaxes cell-phone policies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:06:19 -0400

American Airlines relaxes cell-phone policies
By Mike Dano
June 27 12:12:00, 2003

American Airlines announced it will relax the long-held rules regarding mobile
phones on its aircraft, allowing passengers to use their wireless devices until
the aircraft doors are shut and then again shortly after landing, as the aircraft
is taxiing to the gate.

The new guidelines will be effective July 8.

American Airlines said it worked closely with the Federal Aviation Administration
to test the new guidelines on fleet types operated by American, American Eagle and
the AmericanConnection carriers Chautauqua Airlines, Corporate Airlines and Trans
States Airlines.

The changes to departing flights apply worldwide.

“We're pleased to be the first airline to offer this relaxed cell-phone policy. We
know how important it is for our customers to stay in touch with family, friends
and business associates while traveling,” said Dan Garton, American's executive
vice president for marketing. “Sometimes, customers have last-minute information
or other time-sensitive communications to share, and this extra phone time will be
a real benefit to them.”

The FAA announced earlier this week that it is working on a study regarding the
use of wireless devices on airlines. The administration will complete a short-term
assessment of existing technologies this November and finish a longer-term review
by October 2005.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14084

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/