Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush's Spectrum Policy Initiative Scares Pentagon Insiders]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:43:35 -0400

Wireless In Brief

Bush's Spectrum Policy Initiative Scares Pentagon Insiders

A Bush White House initiative aimed at making sweeping reforms in
U.S. spectrum policy is generating significant concern among key
officials in the Defense Department. Late last week, President Bush
ordered the Department of Commerce to head up a two-year study
of current U.S. spectrum policy. The review will focus on how
spectrum is used by the government as well as private industry.
The administration made clear that it intends to use the results of
the review to formulate sweeping changes in spectrum policy. The
ultimate goal of the initiative is to make it easier for the wireless
industry to obtain much more of this valuable resource.

But Pentagon sources say the president's plan will likely result in
the Defense Department eventually having to surrender exclusive
ownership of spectrum used - or reserved for use - by the military.
In particular, U.S. Air Force officials - who spoke to
Communications Today's sister publication Telecom Policy Report
on condition that they not be named - are especially worried that
spectrum now being held in reserve for future weapons use may
have to be turned over to the private sector.

 http://www.telecomweb.com
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/