Subject: RE: Where in the World is FMIPv4? (Re: [mobile-ip] FMIPv6: FBU transmission text)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:34:24 -0500

>> I'm also curious as to whether maybe this draft should include a "MIPv4
>> consideration" section since a FMIPv4 draft is no longer in circulation
>(or is there?).
>>
>
>The authors of the FMIPv4 spec and the WG chairs have been in agreement for
>over a year that it should go to Experimental, but for some strange and
>unknown reason it keeps timing out, then being renewed by the editor, then
>timing out... But it never seems to make it into the IESG queue. Granted,
>nobody is particularly interested in deploying FMIPv4, but Experimental
>specs aren't intended for immediate deployment.

I am responsible for the current cause of this situation. I have not
been proactive in getting the draft to the ADs for approval. We
(chairs) have mentioned at a couple of IETF meetings now (in status
reports) that this I-D will progress on Experimental track. The plan
still holds good and I will get moving on it. Sorry about the delay.

>
>In any event, in no case should there be any MIPv4 considerations in the
>FMIPv6 spec, IMHO. It should just concern itself with MIPv6.

Completely agree.

>            jak

-Basavaraj

---

From: Bryan Hartwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:56:25 -0400

> >FMIPv6 spec, IMHO. It should just concern itself with MIPv6.

fair enough. I wasn't sure about the status of the other document so I was
concerned about the robustness of the WG.
... and there are SOME people interested in utilizing FMIPv4 (at least
experimentally) :)

Bryan Hartwell
Ryerson University