Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Testifies Before House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:33:43 -0400

Motorola Testifies Before House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the
Internet

Spectrum, Funding and Interoperability Key for Public Safety Communications

WASHINGTON, D.C, June 11, 2003 - Speaking before the US House of Representatives
Subcommittee on Telecommunications & the Internet, Greg Brown, President and CEO,
Motorola (NYSE:MOT) Commercial Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS),
said today Congress must act to deliver much needed spectrum and additional
funding to enable first responders to have full interoperability and improved
wireless communications to carry out their critical mission.

Today, Brown testified along with public safety and government officials and
communications leaders in an effort to emphasize the vital communications needs of
America’s public safety community.

According to Brown, “While technology exists to improve the quality of wireless
communications, public safety lacks the spectrum and funds to improve
communication as rapidly and completely as the public expects in a post-9-11
world.” 

Brown commended Subcommittee Chairman Fred Upton for making public safety
communications a national priority.

“Motorola looks forward to working with Chairman Upton and the committee to ensure
that the necessary spectrum, funding and full interoperability tools are in place
so that our nation’s heroic first responders can be better prepared to carry out
their critical mission. We owe them these needed resources.”

Brown testified that public safety first needs additional federal funding to buy
the radios and systems necessary to do its job, including improved
interoperability. Secondly, he said, public safety must have access to its 700MHz
spectrum nationwide by December 2006 to fully achieve interoperability and deploy
advanced data technology.

“Motorola supports the efforts of Congresswoman Jane Harman, and Congressman Curt
Weldon to work with the leadership of Chairman Billy Tauzin and Ranking Member
John Dingell to drive a solution to the digital television transition which will
clear the way for the 700 MHz band to be usable by public safety agencies by the
end of 2006,” Brown said. “Without setting a firm deadline, our nations first
responders are left in limbo and our citizens could be left less protected,” he
added.

The 700 MHz technologies offer a whole new level of mobile communications
capabilities, which is far beyond today’s voice and low speed data applications.
Brown cited examples of advanced high-speed data applications:

An officer or agent could transmit video of a potential bomb or biological weapon
and get real time counsel from an expert in another location. Local or state
police could instantly send or receive a photograph of a missing or abducted
child. Firefighters in the field could instantly access online building blue
prints, hydrant locations and hazardous material data.

“Additionally, a sustained, well funded and multi-year federal program is needed.
We certainly cannot afford the human costs associated with delaying achievement of
full interoperability,” Brown said.

Reflecting on the nation’s homeland security responsibilities, Brown urged that
Congress ensure that public safety officials can buy the communications tools they
need to protect the American public.

“It is important that the Congress assume and accept this critical mission,“ Brown
said. 

About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in wireless, automotive and broadband
communications. Sales in 2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a global corporate
citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and pioneering important
innovations that make things smarter and life better, honored traditions that
began when the company was founded 75 years ago this year. For more information,
please visit www.motorola.com

Motorola Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS)
Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a
leading provider of integrated radio communications and information solutions,
with more than 65 years of experience in meeting the mission-critical requirements
of public safety, government and enterprise customers worldwide. The sector offers
an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet growing public safety and security
needs, including: interoperable two-way radio communications solutions; command
and control solutions; identification and tracking solutions; information
management for criminal justice and civil needs; and physical security and
monitoring solutions. In 2002, CGISS received the Malcolm Baldrige National
Quality Award for manufacturing, the national premier award for performance
excellence and quality achievement.

Media Contact:
Steve Gorecki
Motorola
847-538-0368
[email-masked]

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2913_2376_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/