Subject: [NEXTEL-1] $60 million Available For Radio Interoperability Projects

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:24:42 -0400

COPS Program Seeks Interoperability Projects

Grants are available for targeted jurisdictions to build regional
communications projects

By Darby Patterson, - June 16, 2003

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Community Oriented Policing program is not new. But, it
has taken on new relevance as first responders throughout America look to sharpen
their skills and acquire additional training.
It was launched in 1994 as new kind of policing effort that would engage the
community in public safety issues and to increase the number of sworn police
officers. Since then, according to Timothy Quinn, chief of staff for the U.S. 
Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, the COPS
program has funded 13,000 of the nation's approximately 18,000 law enforcement
agencies.  "The word is out," Quinn said. "Our funding comes through the budget
and appropriations process for each fiscal year. We then look at those
appropriations and fashion programs to get the money out."

Since 9-11, the resources offered through the COPS program have become
increasingly important. "The message of the COPS office is that many of the
strategies we use are also the strategies that will enhance homeland security,"
Quinn said.

At the same time, regional and collaborative projects have become increasingly
important. "This year the COPS office has been given $60 million to help with the
issue of interoperability," Quinn said, adding that FEMA has similar funds to
disperse. "In this project we are encouraging them [first responders] to reach out
to law enforcement partners in their area."

It is not every local jurisdiction, however, that will have a chance to apply for
funds.  "We will be sending out letters to 77 jurisdictions inviting them to
participate for funding of up to $6 million," Quinn explained. The cities that are
invited to apply will develop proposals that include regional collaboration that
foster interoperability. A board of experts will review the submissions and select
those that are feasible within the funding limits. Quinn said he expects the
invitations to be sent out within the next few weeks and awards to be made by the
end of September.

"It is mainly for voice communications," Quinn explained. "It's making sure people
can talk to each other, quite simply."

The COPS program has also developed a set of technology guidelines for local law
enforcement officials. Quinn said that resources vary in cities and counties.
Often, the technology "expert" in a small police or sheriff's department has won
his or her position by default -- being the sole individual with an interest in,
or knack for, technology.

"COPS has always been sensitive to that," Quinn said. "We try to keep the burden
as light as possible for our customers which are local law enforcement officers."
But, with the heightened demands of homeland security, technology has become a
necessary tool in the arsenal of even small policing agencies.

"We put together a guide for making technology purchases," Quinn explained.  "We
take them through the entire process -- how to develop specification and work with
a vendor. How to implement a system."
Quinn added that the guide does not recommend specific technologies or providers.
"I look at this as analogous to a Home Depot guide on how to build a deck in your
backyard," he said. The guide is available through the COPS Web site.

The program also provides free training for first responders and also for citizens
at COP's facilities. "There is no one who doesn't have a role to play in public
safety," Quinn said. "Everyone can make a contribution."

http://www.govtech.net/news/features/news_feature.phtml?docid=56508

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/