Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Few carriers pushing "push to talk"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:49:10 -0400

Few carriers pushing "push to talk"

By Ben Charny 
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
June 23, 2003, 5:16 PM PT

Nextel Communications and two other carriers are expanding their services for a
cell phone walkie-talkie feature called push to talk--but a new study predicts a
turbulent next few months for the technology.

The survey, from industry watcher Telephia, found that a relatively low number--25
percent--of the 1,500 corporate executives surveyed said they expect to use push
to talk. The study also found that just 7 percent plan to make the technology
available within the next 18 months. The feature instantly connects phones rather
than taking the time to find a network connection and dial out.

The high initial cost for handsets capable of the feature plus less-than-adequate
security to guard calls from interception are major reasons for businesses'
reluctance, according to Telephia.

The survey comes just a few weeks before Verizon Wireless is expected to launch
the first of three new services that are similar to Nextel Communications'
DirectConnect and aimed at business clientele. Nextel so far is the only carrier
to offer such a service.

Sprint PCS, however, plans to offer a more friendly version for consumers later
this year, and the company expects that teenagers especially will go for the
service. AT&T Wireless said it will test a service next year.

Nextel has exclusively offered its walkie-talkie option in North America for more
than a decade. But its range has never been more than a few hundred miles at a
time. Nextel said that by Sept. 1 each of its DirectConnect subscribers will be
able to reach anyone in the continental United States.

http://news.com.com/2100-1039-1020210.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/