Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Senate Republican Hi-Tech Task Force Sets Policy Agenda

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:19:14 -0400

Senate Republican Hi-Tech Task Force Sets Policy Agenda

Jun 23, 2003

The Senate Republican High Tech Task Force (HTTF) has embarked on an ambitious
plan to craft legislative proposals designed to advance the nation's high-tech
industry - including its telecom component - and refuel interest and investment in
the sector. The group, lead by Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.), late last week unveiled
its technology policy agenda, a blueprint for planned legislative initiatives.

"The goal is to create legislation to make [the agenda items] happen." Ensign
spokesman Jack Finn told TPR. "The mission of the task force is to serve as
conduit for the high tech industry... to determine things that need to get done
...
and decide on good legislative proposals that will help make it happen,"
Even so, it remains unclear how soon any of the HTTF agenda items will
make it into proposed legislation.

"We're now tied up with the Medicare debate, and that's got the attention of
everyone right now. But, hopefully, you'll start seeing some of this make into
legislation before the end of this year," Finn said, adding that Ensign will take
lead in introducing legislation compatible with the task force's agenda.

The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) strongly endorsed the efforts of
the task force "for identifying in its agenda several issues that are key to
reviving the high tech sector and driving our economy forward in the years to
come," TIA President Matthew Flanigan told reporters last Friday.

Task force agenda items of particular interest to TIA include:
Deploying broadband technologies,
Spectrum policy reform,
Enhancing free trade,
Network and economic security,
Promoting education and technology, and
Modernizing the tax code.

'TIA believes that by focusing congressional efforts on these issues, "both
industry and government can create an environment that will encourage investment
and allow the innovative spirit of our sector to grow exponentially," Flanigan
said.

Besides Ensign, the HTTF membership includes Sens. George Allen (R-Va.), who was
last year's HTTF chairman; Bob Bennett (R-Utah); Wayne Allard (R-Colo.);

Sam Brownback (R- Kan.); Jim Bunning (R-Ky.); Conrad Burns (R-Mont.); Michael
Crapo (R-Idaho); Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R-Tex.); John Sununu (R-N.H.); and Gordon
Smith (R- Ore.).

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/