Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush Administration to Order Spectrum Review

From: "Allen Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:23:55 -0000

This is very interesting.  They mention creating a trust fund from 
spectrum auctions that will pay to move government users off of 
desirable frequencies, who is really behind this?
Allen Smith
Track my cell phone in real time
http://www.gadgeteer.org

Bush Administration to Order Spectrum Review 
Thu June 5, 2003 06:33 AM ET 
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration on Thursday plans to 
order a top to bottom year-long review of how to make more efficient 
use of coveted airwaves by the government and the wireless industry 
for everything from mobile telephone service to military operations, 
a senior administration official said.
President Bush is expected to sign an executive memorandum that will 
direct the Commerce Department to undertake the review that will 
study ways to improve the management of the scarce resource that is 
used for commercial communications as well as the U.S. air traffic 
control system.

"The review is a recognition of how important spectrum has become, 
not only to the domestic economy but to military and homeland 
security efforts," said the senior administration official, declining 
further identification.

The commercial industry has an almost insatiable appetite for more 
airwaves, especially the mobile telephone companies that want to 
offer high-speed Internet access service. But they have faced stiff 
competition from the U.S. government, which recently has had a 
growing need for spectrum to meet new security and military needs

Congress is already considering one administration proposal for 
making more airwaves available to commercial users by creating a 
trust fund that would take proceeds from the auction of spectrum and 
using it to cover the costs of moving government operations to other 
airwaves

The Commerce Department plans to form one task force made up of the 
principle government users that would examine processes, procedures 
and policies for effective use of spectrum and make recommendations 
to Bush, the official said.

A second group will look at the use of airwaves by non-government 
entities and make recommendations for improvements as well, according 
to the official.

"The radio frequency spectrum is a vital and limited natural resource 
and is crucial to our economic growth and national security," 
Commerce Secretary Don Evans said in a statement obtained by Reuters.

The Commerce Department will likely seek the involvement of industry 
players as well as the Federal Communications Commission, which 
regulates the commercial wireless industry and is responsible for 
auctioning the airwave licenses to be used by the industry.

The recommendations developed will be presented in a report to the 
president in a year and the official said it could include proposals 
for legislative solutions as well.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:51:09 -0400

I sent an e-mail to a Congressional aid yesterday asking what impact this will
have on spectrum changes pending at the FCC.

He said this and other issues will be discussed on the Hill next Wednesday by the
Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet. He speculated that the FCC
will most likely delay any sweeping changes until the report is complete in a year
or so.

-- 
  		"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
		Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

		"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

		"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
 	   The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:33:10 -0700

Does anyone in charge consider the Nextel 800 MHz 'retuning' plan a
'sweeping spectrum change' ?
===========================================

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                        [Click Here!]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:37:58 -0400

I asked the same question the aid would not comment on the record.

---

From: "Paul J. Zawada" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:00:37 -0500

What about off the record?  It's not like NEXTEL-1 is the New York 
Times.... Ummm... Bad example..  Never Mind....   ;-)

--zawada

-- 
Paul J. Zawada, PE       | Principal Network Research Engineer
[email-masked]          | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 217 649 2233          | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:44:56 -0400

These guys only make "off the record" comments on the golf course and at informal
meetings. Hopefully I will see him at the JSA meeting at the Harvard club next
week I will grill him then. He is not a big techie but he is a good source for
info.

Where do you think NYT, WSJ,  MSNBC and others get their leads? Right here-

---

From: "Paul J. Zawada" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:13:26 -0500

>Where do you think NYT, WSJ,  MSNBC and others get their leads? Right here-

I thought the NYT just made stuff up when they needed a big story... 
( 
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/06/05/nytimes.resigns/index.html 
)

My previous message was an attempt at humor...

--zawada

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:23:51 -0400

I know-

I was just giving N-1 a shameless plug-

"Paul J. Zawada" wrote:

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:22:48 -0000

They do........but when they want the facts without the Candy Coating 
and the Butt Kissing rhetoric they turn here. 

(Excepts on the 1st Wednesday of the month when the Butt Kisses are 
allowed to Rant and CYA.)