Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Legislation Proposed to Fund E-911

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:30:44 -0400

New Legislation Proposed to Fund E-911

Two U.S. Senators, Hillary Clinton (D–NY) and Conrad Burns (R-MT), proposed
legislation to fund the updating of technology for E-911 services, which will
locate cell phone users who call 911. Active E-911 services are scarce, and it is
the hope that additional funding will support technology that allows emergency
call centers to pinpoint the exact location of a wireless caller. The National
Emergency Number Association reports that out of the current 6,121 call centers
only 10 percent of them are capable of locating a wireless caller. The
legislation, aimed at promoting updated E-911 services nationwide, would also make
available $500 million for deploying the technology. CTIA’s President and CEO Tom
Wheeler states, "This legislation injects a good dose of coordination and
accountability that has been lacking in the implementation of enhanced 9-1-1
services." (Source: ABC News, Washington Post, CTIA) -

======================================================================================

Funding Problems Slowing Enhanced 911 Rollout
By David Ho
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, June 12, 2003; 4:27 PM

WASHINGTON -- Lack of money from cash-strapped state and local governments is slowing the rollout of enhanced 911 service, lawmakers and public safety officials said Thursday.
The technology lets emergency operators locate cell phone users who need help, but only one in 10 emergency call centers has it, said John Melcher, president of the National Emergency Number Association. He said some states have diverted millions of dollars in E911 funds collected from consumers and used the money to plug budget shortfalls.
"If the fee is on the phone bill that says this is for 911, then by God that's what the money should be spent on," Melcher said. "Our lives, our property and our homeland security are at stake."
Melcher spoke at a news conference that brought together public safety workers, wireless industry officials and Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell.

Earlier Thursday, Sens. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., and Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.,
proposed legislation to provide $500 million in annual grants for updating 911 services and training emergency workers. States that divert funds intended for E911 would not qualify for the grants.

The National Governors Association did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the proposal. When someone dials 911 on a traditional phone, emergency operators can trace the call to a street address. But creating a system for locating cell phone users who call 911 has been a challenge for wireless companies, regulators and workers at the nation's 7,000 emergency dispatch centers.
The FCC set deadlines in 1996 for implementing E911 service. The regulations require wireless companies to respond to 911 center requests within six months by providing technology that can locate people by using phone networks or handsets that gather information from global positioning satellites.
Carriers that choose the handset option must have 95 percent of their customers' handsets using the technology by the end of 2005. Industry officials say they are largely meeting those deadlines.
The FCC has previously provided extensions to wireless carriers, but Powell said future requests for delays would be "a tough sell." The FCC said Thursday that Cingular Wireless agreed to pay the government $675,000 as part of a settlement ending an investigation into whether the company violated FCC rules for deploying E911.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A50910-2003Jun12?language=printer

====================================================================================

 CTIA Calls for Renewed Efforts on E9-1-1

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA)
today joined public safety advocates in calling on local and state governments,
local phone companies and regulators to pledge the necessary leadership and
cooperation to make enhanced 9-1-1 services available nationwide.

“E9-1-1 is like a three-legged stool – the wireless industry, the 9-1-1 agencies
and the local phone companies. Unless all three legs are strong, the stool can’t
carry its load,” said Tom Wheeler, President and CEO of CTIA. “Frankly, the
strongest leg on the stool right now is wireless.”

“Public safety communications have become a top national priority since September
11, and E9-1-1 is a vital piece of our personal and public security,” Wheeler
added. “Every wireless carrier has Phase I E9-1-1 data at its switch – and has for
a couple of years. Yet fewer than 40% of the American population has access to its
benefits.”

“The Bonnie and Clyde of public safety are those governors and state legislatures
who broke into the E9-1-1 bank and robbed the public of important safety
resources,” Wheeler added. “We need leadership and coordination at the state
level, to ensure that the fees wireless consumers are paying every month go where
they were intended.”

In 1996, CTIA, NENA and APCO initially jointly proposed to the FCC a two-phase
approach to E9-1-1, effectively launching the process. Despite numerous delays
caused by changing rules and regulations, the wireless industry has aggressively
pushed forward to assure consumers receive the safety benefits of enhanced 9-1-1
services:

· 100% of the wireless switches have Phase I capability – and have for a couple of
years.

· Less than 40% of Americans have access to its benefits of Phase I location
information, because their local wireline phone company doesn’t have the ability
to carry the information to the 9-1-1 agency, or the PSAP has not upgraded its
system to use the location information.

· Two national carriers can provide Phase II in every market, but the local PSAPs
cannot always receive and use the information.

· Network-based services cover 100% of wireless consumers. But, PSAPs serving 56%
of Americans still have not requested Phase II.

· Meanwhile, state and local governments required wireless carriers by law to
collect and remit almost $2 billion from consumers over the past three years.
Millions of these funds have been diverted for purposes other than deploying
E9-1-1.

To read the remarks of Tom Wheeler regarding Enhanced 911 for Wireless Phones,
click here

CTIA is the international association for the wireless telecommunications
industry, representing carriers, manufacturers and wireless Internet providers.
http://www.wow-com.com

http://www.wow-com.com/articles.cfm?ID=1249
====================================================================================

CTIA Praises Burns/Clinton E9-1-1 Legislation
June 12, 2003 WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association (CTIA) today praised comprehensive E9-1-1 legislation introduced today
by Senator Conrad Burns (R-MT) and Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY). The bill would
foster coordination at all levels, and through audits and other measures, ensure
that E9-1-1 funds are directed toward making enhanced 9-1-1 services available
nationwide.
“This legislation injects a good dose of coordination and accountability that has
been lacking in the implementation of enhanced 9-1-1 services,” said Tom Wheeler,
President and CEO of CTIA. “Senators Burns and Clinton have shown tremendous
leadership and expertise in crafting a comprehensive policy that will promote
cooperation, while at the same time clamp down on local and state governments who
are brazenly raiding E9-1-1 funds.”

“This legislation identifies E9-1-1 as one of the nation’s highest communications
priorities – and rightly so. Scarce resources should be devoted to public safety,
not regulatory mandates like number portability that put mere convenience over
protecting the public. We urge policy makers and regulators to focus on public
safety for all Americans, and to empower the wireless industry to do the same,”
Wheeler added.

“Enacting this bill would be a breakthrough to improved public safety,” Wheeler
added. “It provides a roadmap to better statewide coordination and better
cooperation among the local phone companies, wireless and public safety. And just
as important, it holds state and local governments responsible for directing
E9-1-1 funds toward upgrading and equipping E9-1-1 answering centers.”

Senators Burns and Clinton co-chair the Senate 9-1-1 Caucus. The wireless industry
commends the Senators for their dedication to improving the safety of all
Americans, by ensuring the timely development and deployment of E9-1-1 services.

CTIA is the international association for the wireless telecommunications
industry, representing carriers, manufacturers and wireless Internet providers.
http://www.wow-com.com

http://www.wow-com.com/news/press/body.cfm?record_id=1276

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/