Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel-1 On Instant Talk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:10:18 -0400

May 2003

WHITE PAPER

How the public safety sector’s communication needs can be served by public mobile
networks.

Preface

This white paper describes how public mobile networks, specifically GSM and its
evolution into 3G access, can be used to meet the communication demands of
different agencies in the public safety sector. Such networks, using the latest
technologies, will become a future-proof, technically and economically viable
alternative to dedicated networks.

This white paper is intended to inform government bodies, various agencies,
regulators and network operators about these possibilities and to outline
Ericsson’s intentions.

Introduction

Agencies, such as police, fire brigades, ambulance services and so on have
traditionally used dedicated systems to handle their communication needs. In many
countries this has resulted in a number of incompatible systems meeting only the
demands of each separate agency.

Today the overall demands on these agencies are very different to what they were
just a few years ago: key requirements today are co-ordinated operations with
efficient sharing of information between agencies, as well as access to new data
and databases, such as images, maps, and geographical, building and infrastructure
information. These demands call for common information and communication systems
with a high degree of flexibility for integration and information sharing with the
digital information databases being developed in all parts of society.

When governments are planning to upgrade services for the public safety sector,
two options exist:

• The traditional solution, to build one or more stand-alone networks that serve
one or more of the public safety authorities

• A solution where the required services are implemented in the public mobile
networks safely and with back-up systems.

This white paper will describe how the public safety sector’s special needs for
co-ordination and security can be met using public mobile networks. The proposed
business arrangement is to provide these services via a special service provider
or virtual operator. This follows the national and international standards for
emergency call handling/ dispatch for 112/911/999 services.
Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson 2003 www.ericsson.com/products

The tremendous build-out of GSM and 3G public mobile networks around the world -
with nationwide coverage, international roaming and complete functionality for
voice, messaging, data and imaging - gives the public safety sector a new option
when considering how to upgrade its communication systems. The public mobile
networks will be further enhanced by adding 3G capabilities to existing networks.
This will give much higher data speeds, allowing introduction of new services such
as fast data transmission and video telephony.

One example illustrates the capabilities of existing GSM networks: the US
government, as a result of the events of September 11, 2001, requested that
priority functionality for public safety users be available in public mobile
networks. Based on these requests, operators and vendors have together specified,
demonstrated and implemented priority for public safety users in GSM networks in
the US.

The outline of this white paper

This white paper describes the functionality of existing GSM networks and the
increased functionality and capabilities that will be available with the
introduction of wideband access known as 3G, as applied towards the needs of
emergency services.
It describes how an already-standardized GSM functionality, known as ASCI
(Advanced Speech Call Item), can be used for public safety users. These functions
have been specified and implemented in specialized GSM networks, such as those
used by railway companies, but are generally not implemented in public mobile
networks.

This paper also proposes a business arrangement with a service provider taking on
the role as integrator between public safety agencies and as the interface to
mobile operators.

Finally, the white paper describes the advantages of public networks compared with
dedicated networks built for public safety users.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/