Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Could This Be The End Of "Fly Out Friday?"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:14:43 -0400

Could This Be The End Of "Fly Out Friday?"
New legislation could curb FCC travel funded by industry
June 16 13:30:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Industry groups may no longer pay for Federal Communications Commission
officials to travel to attend conventions and conferences under a bill introduced
in the Senate late last week. The bill is part of legislation toreauthorize FCC
operations, introduced Friday by Sen. John McCain, (R-Ariz.) and Sen. Ernest
Hollings, (D.-S.C.). The Senate Commerce Committee is expected to consider the
legislation later this week. 

The bill follows a report from watchdog group The Center for Public Integrity,
which said the telecommunications and media industries have paid $2.8 million to
fund more than 2,500 trips by FCC officials since 1995. 

“The chairman believes the trips are valuable, and the bill may shift some of the
burden to taxpayers, but if Congress believes that’s a good thing, we're fine with
that,” FCC spokesman Richard Diamond told Reuters.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=13915

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/