Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Dealer Burns-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:16:38 -0400

WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP)--A fire sparked by a downed electrical
wire consumed five buildings at an industrial complex and forced some
families to flee their homes.

Firefighters from eight communities in Rhode Island and Massachusetts
were working throughout the night Thursday to contain the fire, which
covered two acres. At least two firefighters were taken to the hospital
to be treated for dehydration. No major injuries were reported.

The estimated 50 to 60 employees working in the ACS Industries
building, where the fire began at about 6 p.m. Thursday, evacuated
safely. State Fire Marshal Irving J. Owens said the building had a
working sprinkler system which helped them get out unharmed.

State and local officials said they expect firefighters will be working to
extinguish the blaze throughout the day Friday. The fire was under
control just before midnight Thursday.

Helping fuel the flames were 25,000 to 27,000 gallons of fuel oil in a
tank in one of the buildings, according to Woonsocket Fire Chief
Henry Renaud. One of the burning buildings also contained 25,000 to
50,000 pounds of cotton that was feeding the fire.

About two dozen families were evacuated from a street adjacent to the
buildings, and others were told they could choose to leave.

Renaud said it appears the fire started when a transformer exploded,
sending a power line into a fence adjacent to the mill complex.

The electrified fence ignited the ACS Industries building in at least two
places, he said. Narragansett Electric spokeswoman Amy Atwood said
the company will investigate the fire.

The blaze spread to buildings housing Florence Dye and a Nextel
phone dealer http://www.zwire.com/local/Z/Zwire1710/zwire/images/PT0627_W106.jpg

Embers from the fire landed on the roof of an apartment building a
quarter mile away, but caused only minor damage, Renaud said.
Another house closer to mill complex also was hit by embers.

Temporary housing at area motels was being arranged Thursday night
for those evacuated.

The state Department of Environmental Management reported to the
scene Thursday, but officials said they don't believe the chemicals
stored in the mill buildings were producing toxic smoke.

There were small explosions in the buildings due to the bursting of tanks
containing chemicals and oil, Renaud said.

Dark smoke from the fire was visible miles from the blaze, and the flames were so
hot at times that
firefighters had to move their trucks back from the site.

Updated June 27, 2003 2:18 a.m.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Smith, William E. (US-BKTN-Telecom)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:37:53 -0400

It was not our power line that allegedly started this fire. It must have
been some other electric company :-)
Actually, we have a large substation that feeds most of Woonsocket very
close to that building, not to mention 115 KV lines that go right past
it. The system dispatchers were a little nervous about it.

That building is not in the finest of neighborhoods. I can only imagine
the clientele this dealer had. We were warned about going to the
substation after dark, to watch out lest we be relieved of our wallets
and trucks, and possibly our lives. Fortunately the shop I'm working out
of now is in a much safer area. No bullet holes in the building for at
least a year...

Oh, usual disclaimer, I love my job. These are  MY opinions, not those
of my most benevolent employer. Thank you.

To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Dealer Burns-

WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP)--A fire sparked by a downed electrical wire
consumed five buildings at an industrial complex and forced some
families to flee their homes.

The electrified fence ignited the ACS Industries building in at least
two places, he said. Narragansett Electric spokeswoman Amy Atwood said
the company will investigate the fire.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential to National Grid and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the National Grid USA Enterprise Support Center on 508-389-3375 or 315-428-6360.