Subject: [mobile-ip] HAO processing and Binding error

From: "Gaurav Puri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:12:11 +0530

hi,

Section 9.3.3 Sending Binding Error Messages of draft 22 says: -

"   A Binding Error message is sent directly to the address that appeared
  in the IPv6 Source Address field of the offending packet (before any
  modifications possibly performed as specified in Section 9.3.1).  If
  the Source Address field does not contain a unicast address, the
  Binding Error message MUST NOT be sent.

    The Home Address field in the Binding Error message MUST be copied
    from the Home Address field in the Home Address destination option of
    the offending packet, or set to the unspecified address if no such
    option appeared in the packet."

HAO is specified in DST options extention header. So HAO processing becomes
a part of IPV6 functionality.
 MH processing should be done after IPV6 processing i.e. MH receive
functionality should be called
only after IPV6 extentions headres have been processed(HAO has been
processed).

"Sending of Binding Error due to unknown MH type" this should ideally be
taken care in MH receive functionality.

Can u please clarify why it has been specified that BErr should be sent
before any modifications possibly
performed as specified in section 9.3.1?

Moreover AH and ESP headers are processed after DST header processing. i.e.
swapping will take place
much before SPD lookup. so lookup at HA should be based on MN's home
address which is present in the source address field as swapping has taken
place. Same is true at MN's end.

regards
  gaurav

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:28:29 +0300

> performed as specified in section 9.3.1?

The intention is to say that the BE should be sent to the source address,
as that address appeared in the packet before any modifications were
performed.

I see that you have read the text as if the whole processing should
happen before 9.3.1 processing.

I have slightly reformulated the text. Is this better:

"A Binding Error message is sent directly to the address that appeared
in the IPv6 Source Address field of the offending packet. If the
Source Address field does not contain a unicast address, the Binding
Error message MUST NOT be sent.

The Home Address field in the Binding Error message MUST be copied
from the Home Address field in the Home Address destination option
of the offending packet, or set to the unspecified address if no
such option appeared in the packet.

Note that the IPv6 Source Address and Home Address field values
discussed above are the values from the wire, i.e., before any
modifications possibly performed as specified in
Section 9.3.1."

--Jari