Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications Today's Tale of the Tape

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:50:39 -0400

Communications Today's Tale of the Tape
July 30, 2003 5:34pm
Phillips Communication Today

Vol. 9 No. 138

This week, we take a closer look at a company that is pushing larger wireless
carriers in the U.S. through its popular push-to-talk services: Nextel
Communications Inc. For more in-depth competitive intelligence reports detailing
"who's who" and "what's what" in the telecom arena, visit TelecomWeb's new
"Company Profiles" section, the industry's most reliable source for updated
financial, executive, historical and news-related information. Check it out at
www.telecomweb.com/profiles/.

Company: Nextel Communications Inc.
Headquarters address: 2001 Edmund Halley Dr., Reston, VA 20191 Sales: $8.7 billion
in 2002 compared to $7.7 billion in 2001.

CT Breakdown: Nextel Communications is banking that its unique Direct Connect
feature will take it directly to the top of the wireless service food chain. The
Reston, Va.-based wireless service provider offers digital wireless service,
Nextel Direct Connect (it's long-range digital walkie-talkie service), wireless
data including e-mail and text messaging, and Nextel Online services, which
provide wireless access to the Internet, an organization's internal databases and
other applications. Nextel is the sixth-largest wireless operator in the U.S. with
more than 11 million customers. The company made a splash earlier this year by
agreeing to pay NASCAR an estimated $750 million for a 10- year title sponsorship
of its premier racing series.

Outlook: The challenges facing the company going forward include: reducing its
11.8 billion debt load, controlling costs and fending off competition from
carriers introducing similar push-to-talk services in the near future. The
positives for the company going forward include: a recently strengthened balance
sheet, a loyal subscriber base that covers several industries, no significant debt
maturities until 2007, enhanced product visibility due to its agreement with
NASCAR and a management staff committed to paying down debt.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR200307301675.6.1_2f9c0005347b1e74

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/