Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC may extend RF safety guides

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:34:59 -0400

FCC may extend RF safety guides

June 30, 2003 1:25 PM EST

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission is considering extending the
reach of its radio-frequency radiation safety guidelines.

The FCC plan could require manufacturers of unlicensed wireless Internet devices
and mobile-phone accessories to meet the RF standard, which would entail testing
and consumer labeling by companies. The agency also proposed additional
responsibilities for licensed wireless carriers to protect workers in RF
environments.

The FCC said industry’s RF safety compliance record needs improvement.

“With regard to fixed transmitters, we have found in implementing our RF exposure
guidelines over the past several years that in some cases licensees have failed to
take note of the fact that they are responsible for compliance with both the
occupational/controlled limits, as well as the general population/uncontrolled
limits,” stated the FCC.

The agency’ RF proposal, which is subject to public comment, does not call for
changes to the RF standard itself.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14117

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/