Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dept of Homeland Security issues second warning on M/S Windows security flaw

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:15:17 -0400

Government issues second warning on Microsoft security flaw

July 31, 2003

LOS ANGELES

The Department of Homeland Security has issued an unprecedented second
warning to Internet users about a security flaw in Microsoft Corp. software
that could leave about 75 percent of the country's computers vulnerable to
hacker attacks.

The latest warning comes two weeks after Microsoft issued a bulletin
notifying computer users it had discovered a critical flaw in its most
common Windows operating systems, including its newest versions, Windows XP
and Windows Server 2003.

The flaw can let hackers use the Internet to seize control of users'
machines to steal files, read e-mails and launch wide-scale computer virus
and ``worm'' attacks that could seriously damage the Internet.

Microsoft has issued free software ``patches'' that users can download from
its Web site to fix the problem. But many users whose machines aren't
programmed to automatically download patches are often slow to get them -- 
in part because Microsoft issues them so frequently. Last year, Microsoft
issued about 70 such patches; so far this year, it has issued nearly 30.

The Department of Homeland Security warned a week ago that computer network
managers and others should immediately download and install the latest
patches. Its second warning on Wednesday reiterates the urgency.

Private Internet security companies also are warning corporate customers to
use the patches. Atlanta-based Internet Security Systems Inc. put out a
special warning when Microsoft announced the flaw on July 16, recommending
users also limit access to networks.

The government is particularly worried about the flaw because it could
potentially affect so many users. As many as 75 percent of all computers
connected to the Internet rely on the flawed versions of Microsoft's
software, Homeland Security spokesman David Wray said.

``The concern here is that ... this vulnerability exists on so many
different machines connected to the Internet,'' said Wray, adding that this
is the first time the Homeland Security Department has issued back-to-back
warnings about the same Internet threat.

If hackers exploit the latest flaw, they could cause as much damage as the
so-called Code Red virus two years ago, he said. That attack caused an
estimated $2 billion in damage, primarily to U.S. businesses and government.

``This one has some potentially very serious consequences if (warnings) go
unheeded,'' Wray said.

The vulnerabilities also come at a time when Internet monitors have noticed
an increase in hackers' ``scanning'' of computers to find ways to break into
networks, Wray said.

But perhaps most troubling for security officials is that specific computer
code that hackers can use to exploit the vulnerabilities and launch a
massive Internet attack has already been written and posted on hacker Web
sites -- essentially providing the weapon to any hacker who wants to use it.

The availability of the exploit code takes the software flaw ``a humongous
step closer to becoming a real virus'' attack, said Microsoft spokesman Sean
Sundwall.

Sundwall said Microsoft officials think the majority of affected
customers -- especially commercial and government users -- have already
downloaded patches. So have most home users of Windows XP who rely on
Microsoft's automatic update program to download and install patches. Those
who don't use the auto update program, he said, are at the most risk.

Users of Windows 98 or Windows ME aren't affected, Sundwall said.

Wray said there is no apparent connection between the increased hacker
activity and terrorism. He also said there's no apparent connection in the
increase in hacking activity to an annual hackers convention, called DefCon,
that starts Friday in Las Vegas.

 http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6429877.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/