Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RT's for Taxi's?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:01:20 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Parag Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Subject:RT's for Taxi's?

Hi,

Does anybody know what's involved in tuning RT's that are used in Taxi's? e.g. 
for a Taxi to change from one despatch company to another they are required to 
tune their RT to a specific new frequency. 

I thought this would be a built in function, but it's not and also requires 
programming the RT's built in EPROM.

I can't find any information on Google, but would value any information, 
experience, etc.

Thanks,

Parag

Parag Bhatnagar [[email-masked]]
Postgraduate Student
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
School of Engineering, University of Auckland

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:09:40 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "radiosystemspro" <[email-masked]>
X-Originating-IP:12.225.243.250
Subject: Re: RT's for Taxi's?

Parag,

Typically, the following:

1- In the U.S., a license or other government authorization to 
transmit on a specific frequency or frequencies is required; (at
least in what we call the LMR or private radio service, where
taxis here operate) 

2) in the U.S. at least, a certificate of frequency coordination
from a government authorized frequency coordinator;

3) most modern two-way radios are programmable by a PC to
specific frequencies and PL's/DPL's. Normally this is done with
radio manufacturer specific software and radio-to-computer
interface cables. In the U.S., this procedure is supposedly done
only by authorized radio communications service techs, but that
requirement is often overlooked in actual practice.

4) To properly tune, align, and service any LMR radio, one should
employ a commercial communications service monitor as well as several
other pieces of test equipment - spectrum analizer, audio analizer,
'o' scope, and VSWR/watt meter are examples. It always helps to have 
a copy of the equipment service manual as well!

5) A knowledge of the particular operating requirements of the user
as specified by their license. Things like RF power levels, bandwidth
limitations, and emission types are things to be considered here. 
Also, the compatibility of the specific radio to work or operate on 
frequencies other than what it was originally set up for. 

There are numerous other little details involved, but hope this helps
answer your question.

RSP

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:24:53 -0400

Parag,

Get a copy of the manufacturer's instruction manual for the radio you
are trying to tune.  All the instructions, test equipment models, etc.
are there.

Roger "When all else fails, read the instructions" Madden

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 11:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RT's for Taxi's?

-------- Original Message --------

Hi,

Does anybody know what's involved in tuning RT's that are used in
Taxi's? e.g. 
for a Taxi to change from one despatch company to another they are
required to 
tune their RT to a specific new frequency. 

I thought this would be a built in function, but it's not and also
requires 
programming the RT's built in EPROM.

experience, etc.

Thanks,

Parag

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/