Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Players-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:58:46 -0400

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Ftpr%2Ftpr06230304%2Ehtml&DocOffset=13&DocsFound=78&SourceQueryZip=%28%28tpr%29%3Cin%3Epublication%29%3Cand%3E%28ba%2Cbbn%2Cbm%2Cct%2Cecn%2Cfon%2Cis%2Cidtv%2Csatn%2Cst%2Cta%2Ctpr%2Cvia%2Cwdn%29%3Cin%3Epublication&Collection=sites&Collection=archive&SortSpec=&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wrap.hts

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/telecomweb.com/;ad=exc;sz=468x60;ptile=1;ord=<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->'><IMG
SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/telecomweb.com/;ad=exc;sz=468x60;ptile=1;ord=<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->' border=0
height="60" width="468"></A>

July 08, 2003

Advanced

Search

Search Help

Subscribe

Newsstand

Satellite Newsstand

Premium Services

Executive Q&A

Point of View

Company Profiles

Data Center

Catalog

Awards and Events

Special Reports

Research

Forum

Financial Center

Career

Center

Industry

Directory

RFP Center

Calendar

Editorial Calendar

Jun 23, 2003

Readers of this regular monthly feature may have already noticed a trend beginning to develop in TPR's "Top Telecom Lobbyists of the Month." It's not necessarily what
you know that gets you ahead in Washington. It's more a case of who you know - or at least who you knew.

Consider our picks for June:

Name

Affiliation

Significance

Robert Walker

Wexler & Walker 1317 F St. NW Washington,
DC 20004

Besides being the firm's chairman, Walker
is considered one the best political and policy strategists in Washington.
Respected political analyst Charles Cook ("The Cook Political Report")
has described him as "the best Republican tactician they've got." The
National Journal referred to him as the "father of the revolution that
led to the Republican victory in 1994." He lobbies for Comcast.

Anne Wexler

Wexler & Walker 1317 F St. NW Washington,
DC 20004

She founded the firm's predecessor, Wexler,
Reynolds, Fuller, Harrison, and Schule in 1981, after leaving the Carter
White House. In January 1998, Washingtonian magazine placed her among
the 10 most powerful lobbyists in Washington, saying, "Few Washington
lobbyists are more experienced, enduring, or skillful ... She is easily
the most influential female lobbyist in a world still dominated by men."
She lobbies for Comcast, and is also on the Comcast board.

Angela Jones

Baker & Hostetler 1050 Conn. Av. NW Washington,
DC 20036

She represents Motorola's interests in a
variety of issues before Congress and the FCC. Prior joining the firm,
she served as Legislative Counsel to Rep. Max Sandlin (D-Texas), a member
of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, and Committee
on Banking. In that capacity, she analyzed and monitored issues of the
House Committee on Judiciary, including Subcommittees on Courts and Intellectual
Property, Administrative and Commercial Law, Immigration Claims and Crime.

Edward Buckham

Alexander Stgy Gp 3000 K St. NW Washington,
DC 20007

He lobbies on behalf of AT&T and its interest
in broadband-related issues. The Alexander Strategy Group is chaired by
Buckham, who is former chief of staff to House Majority Whip Tom DeLay
(R-Texas).

Walter McCormick

US Telecom Assn. 1401 H Street, NW Washington,
DC 20005

Before taking the helm at USTA, he served
as CEO of the American Trucking Associations (ATA). He once served as
general counsel of the U.S. Department of Transportation under former
Secretary Andrew Card. He as general counsel of the Senate Commerce Committee
in the 99th Congress, and was Republican chief counsel and staff director
of the committee in the 100th , 101st , and 102nd Congresses

Rodney Smith

SBC Comm 1401 I St. NW Washington, DC 20005

He represents SBC on a range of issues,
including broadband, consumer privacy, "do not call" legislation, and
corporate accountability. Speaking Freely, a virtual "user's handbook"
about Washington lobbyists, quotes him: "We always prefer to give the
money directly to the guy, or the woman, that you're going to support.
You like to walk in, you like to give them the check, you like to look
in their eye and say 'I'm here to help you.' You always do."

Eric Eve

Verizon Comm 1300 I St. NW Washington, DC
20005

During the Clinton Administration, Eve served
as Special Assistant to the President for Political Affairs. He now advocates
for Verizon Communications on issues ranging from broadband deployment
to consumer privacy.

Larry O'Brien

The OB-C Group 1350 I St. NW Washington,
DC 20005

He lobbies on behalf of Deutsche Telekom.
In earlier days, O'Brien's firm represented minority investors who sought
to buy cable stations from Viacom. O'Brien vocally opposed a GOP version
of what was eventually to become the 1996 Telecom Act because it removed
tax breaks for companies that sold to minority businesses. His father
was Democratic National Committee chairman.

DeDe Lea

Viacom 1501 M St. NW Washington, DC 20005

Her advocacy issues include legislation
initiatives dealing with violence in television programming, media marketing,
homeland emergency response operations, auction reform and the FCC's media
ownership rules.

Advertisement

<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/telecomweb.com/;ad=exc;sz=125x600;ptile=2;ord=<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->'><IMG
SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/telecomweb.com/;ad=exc;sz=125x600;ptile=2;ord=<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->' border=0
height="600" width="125"></A>

TelecomWeb
Network

BILLING |BROADBAND | E-BUSINESS
| FIBER OPTICS | SATELLITE
| WIRELESS DATA

TelecomWeb Home | About Us
| Advertise | Subscribe
| Feedback

Copyright
© 2003 PBI Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole
or in part in any form or medium without express written permission
of PBI Media, LLC is prohibited.