Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 3G handset can receive TV programs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:43:47 -0400

3G handset can receive TV programs

NEC Corporation announced yesterday that it has developed the working prototype of
mobile phone which is
equipped with the receiver of terrestrial digital TV broadcasting. In Japan,
terrestrial digital TV broadcasting service
will commence from December 2003 in major metropolitan areas of Tokyo, Nagoya and
Osaka districts. After few
years, it is scheduled to offer the programmes specifically targeted for portable
terminals including mobile phones as
part of the terrestrial digital TV programmes. With the availability of the
service, mobile phone can receive not only
the digital TV programmes, but also further attractive programmes with effective
combinations of TV broadcasting
and mobile communications, integrating services such as image, voice/sounds, data
and mobile internet
applications / services and content.

The prototype has been realized by employing portable antenna for digital TV
broadcasting, UHF tuner, OFDM
(Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) decoding LSI developed by NEC on a
W-CDMA mobile phone. The
OFDM decoding LSI "PD 61530" has been developed by NEC Electronics Inc. in
November 2002, which is the first in
the industry. With this LSI, low-power consumption and ultra-small package has
been realized.

"NEC is also leading digital TV broadcasting infrastructure systems vendor so this
prototype is the integrated
product of NEC's competences and know-how in mobile, digital TV broadcasting and
electron device field,." said
Yoshiharu Tamura, General Manager of NEC's Mobile Terminals Division.

NEC will further enhance the prototype improving its capability such as better
receiver devices, lower-power
consumption, and also develop characteristic digital TV/mobile internet integrated
service applications, and detailed
functions on mobile phone.

NEC will demonstrate the prototype at "Telecom 2003" held from Oct 4th 2003 at
Geneva, Switzerland.

www.cellularnews.com

Posted to the site on 18-Jul-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/