Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Communications is hiring.

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:53:51 -0000

Job Seekers Shouldn't Ignore Firms with High Layoffs, Experts Say
July 8, 2003 1:39pm

Jul. 8--IBM. Janus. Level 3. Even Qwest. They've made hundreds -- and in Qwest's case thousands -- of layoffs 
the last few years.

But they do have jobs.

Nationally, more than 25,000 telecommunications, computer and 
financial jobs are posted on job boards like Monster.com.
That illustrates one fact -- job seekers shouldn't write off the 
biggest losers in this economy, said John Challenger, president of 
Challenger Gray & Christmas, a Chicago outplacement firm.

His firm, for the first time, has compiled 71,000 job listings in the 
top 10 industries job seekers avoid, including transportation and 
industrial goods.

"There is some momentum that was nonexistent earlier," Challenger 
said. "These numbers do suggest that there are good possibilities in 
some of these fields hardest hit."

Challenger couldn't say whether hiring in these industries was 
actually increasing or whether the jobs represented normal turnover.
In Colorado, hundreds of jobs are open in industries known for 
cost-cutting and layoffs.

IBM posts 30 jobs on Monster.com. ING Financial Services lists 22. 
Janus has eight job openings. Boeing, Frontier Airlines, Merrill 
Lynch, Boeing and Nextel Communications are all hiring. Level 3 lists 
110 positions companywide on its website.

At most of these companies, the positions run from entry level 
customer service to sales, project management, engineering, analysis 
and other management level functions.

On Qwest's site, 205 jobs are open, but that's not much for a company 
of 50,000 people. Qwest spokesman Chris Hardman said the openings 
mostly account for turnover.

"We run our business based on customer demand," he said. "We have
been losing customer access lines." Spectra Logic of Boulder has 11 jobs
to fill and that's movement in a positive direction, said Troy
Bettinger, Spectra's chief talent scout.

"Definitely there's more going on now than a year ago," he said.
Bettinger and other recruiters have their own way of gauging a
turning  point in the job market.

"When you see recruiters being hired, you see companies hiring 
people," said Brian Ellis, president of the Colorado Technical 
Recruiters Network.

Companies across all industries, and especially in health care, are 
enlisting recruiters the last few months, he said.

"It was a slow start to the year but now it's becoming more and more 
obvious," he said. Recruiters are some of the first hires, then
sales, he said.

"Then you'll see (hiring of) the people who deliver what the 
salespeople are promising -- project managers, business analysts, 
programmers, database administrators," Ellis said.

Other signs point to more hiring in the months ahead, Challenger said.
In both May and June, U.S. employers reported fewer than 70,000 
layoffs, a sizable drop from previous months.

"That's the first time that's happened in two years," Challenger said.
Although the national unemployment rate jumped to 6.4 percent in
June, more people were employed in June than in May -- a good sign. The 
jobless rate climbed because more people, including May graduates and 
long-term unemployed workers, reported looking for a job.

Hiring is also up in communications, financial services and other 
nonmanufacturing industries, according to a June report by the 
Institute for Supply Management.

ISM's survey asks companies if they are increasing, maintaining or 
decreasing staff levels. Since February 2001, the only growth months were January 2003 and
June 2003, said ISM's Terri Tracey, vice president of technology.

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=printnews&doc_id=NR200307081
180.3_97a400111eeae6ee

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges at Myinks.com - Save 80%. Quality inkjet cartridges &
refill kits! FREE s/h on $50 orders to the US & Canada. Fast shipping.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hwZBYB/zoVGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/