Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Attacks Misinformation on Tetra Mobile Health Risks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:24:42 -0400

Motorola Attacks Misinformation on Tetra Mobile Health Risks

By Melanie Reynolds -- Electronics Weekly, 7/30/2003

Motorola has been attempting to refute claims about the health risks of the Tetra
digital radio system.

The company said it is difficult for the telecom industry to counteract what it
considers is misinformation and becomes an accepted truth when repeated often
enough.

"There's been a lot of misinformation that's come through," said Richard Bond,
Motorola's QA and EHS manager.

According to Motorola one of the most difficult stories to deal with has been the
result of a survey conducted in the U.K.'s Lancashire police force. This reported
that 176 people had suffered various symptoms, including headaches and skin
rashes, although it did not establish that Tetra was the cause.

"We as a supplier have found that very difficult to counteract because there's no
substance to it," Bond said. "There is no quantitative assessment, no medical
record, but '176 people' is constantly brought out."

Bond also said although the figures came out more than 18 months ago and many more
police are now using Tetra, the number of people with ill effects has not changed.

More recently the Isle of Man chose 1W handsets in its Tetra system because of
health concerns about the 3W handsets, which would have provided better coverage.

In response to police concerns there is now a $8 million (5 million English pound)
government study into the possible health effects of Airwave, the Tetra system the
police use. There will be a detailed health study and a 15-year monitoring
program.

"The Police Federation wanted to ensure that the health of officers was monitored
and the home office will be doing that," said a Federation spokeswoman. "It's what
we wanted and it's what we've got."

At present there is no scientific research that suggests Tetra has any detrimental
effect on health but a large number of research programs are ongoing.

"The question we're often asked is why are you still doing research?" Bond said.
"Well, obviously the research gets better, and we learn more and are more
confident about what we're saying."

Research is monitored by the World Health Organization and standards bodies around
the world are constantly reviewing and assessing it.

http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA314074&spacedesc=news

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/