Subject: [NEXTEL-1] wpuc720- On SDR & Part 15

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:14:52 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

Here are two basic and interrelated thoughts that likely concern all
involved here, upon which we may arrive at a consensus, at a minimum for
consideration within a mission statement.

These deal essentially with conserving our own extant spectrum. While
many parties here may have need for additional spectrum, none of we here
want to lose any bandwidth, overall, to which we are already privileged.
Briefly;

* Controlling any proliferation of unlicensed (Part 15) devices
operating or proposing to operate within existing licensed-use spectrum
held by many here. Shouldn't unlicensed devices and services have
dedicated bands where such operation is primary, and not merely
co-primary? Do any spectrum licensees here want unlicensed devices
occupying our spectrum? Likewise, do unlicensed device and service
vendors here really want their devices forced to operate as secondary or
tertiary allocations within licensed spectrum bands?

* The control of frequency-agile radio devices (sometimes considered
part and parcel of SDR - Software Defined Radio) that may encroach upon
licensed-use spectrum, again, held by many here. Frequency-agile devices
should likely be constrained within spectrum bands authorized for the
particular radio service in operation (i.e. Part 90 public safety, Part
90 PLMRS, Part 24 Personal Communications Service, Part 95 Personal Radio
Services,etc.) Specifically, does anyone really feel that the entire
spectrum should be a free-for-all with frequency-agile radio?

Thoughts, anyone?

Kind regards,
Alan Dixon

GMRS Licensee/System Operator
Engineering Consultant
Contributing Editor
Popular Communications
Public Safety Officer, Retired

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/