Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Stranded Atlantic rower uses satellite phone to call Mums for help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:56:35 -0400

Stranded cross-Atlantic rower phones Mum for help
30 July 2003

BOSTON

A Frenchman attempting to row across the Atlantic called his mother for help
as he sat atop his capsized boat in rough waters 160km off Cape Cod, the
head of the Ocean Rowing Society said today

Emmanuel Coindre, who set off for France from the coast of Massachusetts
last week, capsized early on Tuesday in inclement weather and used a satellite
phone to call for help as the boat took in water.

"After five hours (trying to right the boat) he phoned his mother in France
who called the French coast guard who called the US Coast Guard," executive
director of the London-based Ocean Rowing Society Kenneth Crutchlow, said.

The US Coast Guard rescued him yesterday and brought him ashore.

"We are recovering from hours of anguish since yesterday," the rower's
mother Sylviane Coindre, said in an e-mail to Reuters. "As parents we never
lost hope."

Coindre has crossed the Atlantic from east to west twice and last year
became one of only a handful to row across the ocean the other way.

"Last year he landed in a pretty bad storm," Crutchlow said. "Frankly he got
in just in time."

He completed the crossing in 87 days, failing to beat countryman Gerard
D'Aboville's record 72-day journey. He set out last week for another crack
at the record.

Plans to break the record this year and become the first to cross the
Atlantic alone three times seem lost as the row boat is now missing at sea.
Coindre spent Tuesday on a fishing vessel searching for his craft.

"It's very unlikely he will find it," Crutchlow said. "I'm not saying it's
impossible, but the only way they're going to find that boat is by sheer
luck."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2586289a12,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/