Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC and Industry Canada Sign Spectrum Sharing Arrangement for Wireless Communications Service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:59:23 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
July 25, 2003          Linda L. Haller  (202) 418-1408

FCC and Industry Canada Sign Spectrum Sharing Arrangement for Wireless
Communications Service

Washington D.C. --  In a continuing series of bilateral spectrum arrangements, the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Industry Canada have signed an Interim
Arrangement regarding the Wireless Communications Service (WCS) (WCS
Arrangement).   The WCS Arrangement will facilitate deployment of WCS systems near
the U.S.-Canada border, bringing a broad range of fixed, mobile and other
terrestrial wireless services to businesses and consumers such as video
distribution, programming, digital broadband and Internet services.

The WCS Arrangement sets forth the principles and mechanisms for spectrum sharing
by WCS licensees operating in the 2305-2320 MHz and 2345-2360 MHz bands near the
U.S.-Canada border.  In the United States, there are two WCS licensees for each of
the FCC-designated 52 Major Economic Areas as well as the 12 Regional Economic
Area Groups.  The Arrangement establishes criteria for determining the WCS
stations near the U.S.-Canadian border that require coordination and allows
cross-border licensees to conduct coordination in their respective service areas.

Specifically, the WCS Arrangement:

? requires WCS licensees to coordinate a WCS station if it is located at a
distance less than 120 km from the U.S./Canada border and if it produces at ground
level in the other country’s territory a power flux density (pfd) level greater
than -110 dB(W/m2) in any 1 MHz bandwidth;
? encourages WCS licensees to develop their own cross-border sharing agreements,
and states that when a joint agreement is reached, its terms will govern and that
other coordination provisions contained in the Arrangement need not be further
applied;
? requires WCS licensees located within 120 km of existing fixed microwave
stations previously authorized by either Administration to coordinate with
licensees of such fixed microwave stations if the WCS station would produce a pfd
exceeding -110 dB (W/m2) in any 1 MHz bandwidth at or beyond the border.

The WCS Arrangement, titled “Interim Arrangement Concerning the Use of the
Frequency Bands 2305 – 2320 MHz and 2345 -2360 MHz By Stations in the Wireless
Communications Service (WCS) Near the Canada/United States of America Border” is
part of a series of arrangements between the United States and Canada stemming
from a 1962 foundation agreement between the two countries regarding non-broadcast
services.   The full text of the WCS Arrangement is available at the International
Bureau Reference Room CY-A257, located on the Courtyard level of 445 12th St.
S.W.; from the FCC’s duplicating contractor, Qualex International at (202)
863-2893 and on the FCC International Bureau website at:
www.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree.

- FCC -
Contacts:  Moslem Sawez , Wireless Telecommunications Bureau at (202) 418-8211 or
Thomas Lucey, International Bureau at (202) 418-2161.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/