Subject: [NEXTEL-1] American Water Works Association On the "Scam Plan"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:08:50 -0400

American Water Works Association
June 30, 2003
Secretary, Marlene H. Dortch
Office of the Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th St., S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

RE: Ex Parte Notice

Improving Public Safety Communications in the 800 MHz Band and Consolidating the
900 MHz Industrial / Land Transportation and Business Pool Channels  (Proceeding
02-55)

Dear Secretary Dortch:

Attached  please  find  an  ex  parte  written  submission  in  the
above-referenced  docket.  The document originally was submitted to the Commission
on May 29, 2003, by the 800 MHz User Coalition.    The  800  MHz  User  Coalition
represents  a  broad  cross-section  of  users  of  the  800 MHz  band.  As
noted  in  the  May  29,  2003  filing,  additional  parties  were  expected  to
join  the Coalition.  The  American  Water  Works  Association  (AWWA),  a
technical  and  education association representing more than 4,700 drinking water
utilities, now joins the 800 MHz User Coalition in support of the alternative
proposal to the so-called ?Consensus Plan? currently being considered by the
Commission. Drinking water utilities are critical infrastructure entities with a
vital interest in the 800 MHz band.

The 800 MHz User Coalition?s proposal consists of three components:

1.  Statement of principles that provide a sound basis for action,

2.  Set of specific procedures for identifying and eliminating interference to
incumbent users, and

3.  Specific  changes  to  the  technical  rules  for  the  806-824/851-869  MHz
frequency band  to  prevent  future  harmful  interference  to  Public  Safety
and  other  licensees operating in the band.

This  proposal  is  both  a  proactive  approach  to  preventing  future
interference  and  an  effective
remedy to existing interference in the 800 MHz band.  It is also less expensive to
the band users
and less burdensome than the Consensus Plan. The 800 MHz User Coalition?s proposal
is also
preferable  to  other  options  now  before  the  Commission  on  this  matter
as  it  affords  a
practical solution to interference, and is equitable.  It neither imposes the
burden of re-banding
on users that are not causing interference, nor does it entail spectrum grants to
any one user.
Please contact me or Steve Via at (202) 628-8303 if you would like to discuss the
attached.

Best regards,

-- / signed 6/30/03 / --

Thomas W. Curtis

Deputy Executive Director

 http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514283199

Attachment A.
UTC Ex Parte Filing on behalf of the 800 MHz User Coalition
Regarding:
WT Docket No. 02-55
Improving Public Safety Communications in the 800 MHz Band
May 29, 2003

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514283200

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/