Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola v60p in the warehouse, ready to go

From: "Smith, William E. (US-BKTN-Telecom)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:59:08 -0400

Well put Marcel. As an avid scanner geek I was caught up in the P25
hype. I have the handheld and a base/mobile unit and swap the digital
card between the two. Is it worth it? To me yes. To the average scanner
type? Not around here.

Is PTT worth it? To me and my coworkers, absolutely. It, when it works,
makes life much easier. Will we migrate from Nextel to Verizon when they
roll out? Not immediately. It is quite likely in the foreseeable future
due to the noticeably better footprint Verizon has. Am I hanging on
every tidbit of information on who has what product and when it will
ship?  Nope. I'm sure Verizon will make sure us subscribers know about
it when they are ready to light it up around here.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 10:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola v60p in the warehouse, ready to go

This reminds me of when the 1st P-25 (digital) scanner was introduced.
The Scanners guys almost had a Cow trying to figure out when it was
shipping, who had it, what it could and could not do. Once it rolled out
everyone went .......oh......oh......oh. and the excitement died. I'm
not saying that is the case with VZ's product, but 1/2 the excitement is
the Hype.

[email-masked] wrote:

> Geeezzzze,
>
> Where do people get this stuff? I don't blame you I'm glad you passed 
> it on but again I must say check your sources...........

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential to National Grid and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the National Grid USA Enterprise Support Center on 508-389-3375 or 315-428-6360.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:04:30 -0400

> card between the two. Is it worth it? To me yes. To the average scanner

Many years ago I would have been right behind you in line, however I found many public safety agencies have programs now so the average "Joe" and the "Media" can purchase radios and have them programed by the agency (or their designated rep). This is becoming more and more prevalent since many agencies are now
switching to P-25 and the media and consumers are screaming foul. The initial cost is higher but I don't find myself with a rack full of outdated scanners. I often became frustrated with the lack of quality receivers in most scanners. I often found myself installing filter after filter to reduce the intermod this
only made matters worse while trying to listen-up on simplex.  My BC-xxxxx was often deaf while my R-7000 squawked away, the only problem with the R-7000 is it is a "receiver" and not a scanner. Anyway I'm starting to whine and sound like Nextel at the FCC on a Fly-Out-Friday.

I will say the P-25 is an advancement for scanners users and  I applaud Uniden for being 1st to market. My only concern is Receiver sensitivity on 800mhz .6uv is just not acceptable .

> it when they are ready to light it up around here.

As with any new product their will be bugs but I can say VZ's R&D budget is 3X that of Nextel and the have a true LAB staffed with some major players in the business from Lucent, NASA, Aligent, Moto and others all working togther (on loan) not squabling and playing games like they do at Nextel's LAB in Reston.

As always don't belive the "HYPE"........

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "havaloc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:51:02 -0000

Some fact to go along with conjecture, although it isn't much.

http://www.vzwpushtotalk.com

--- In [email-masked], "Smith, William E. (US-BKTN-Telecom)"
 Am I hanging on

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges & refill kits at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5702
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YrYXfA/AyWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:31:36 -0700

Now we need JPS or Smartlink to make a Nextel - Verizon push to talk
interoperability patch. 

Someone will do this as other cellular provides bring push to talk on
line.

Of course Nextel will probably sue the first manufacturer instead of
being cooperative.

But I may be wrong........
Jack Daniel
=========================================

havaloc wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:27:36 -0000

Jack,

As you know Raytheon purchased JPS, Raytheon already has a deal with 
Nextel to use the i55sr and a symbol bar code scanner in their 
Emergency Patient Tracking System and a few other systems. The 
interoperability is in the works. It was discussed at the Raytheon 
System/Software Engineering Symposium/Nextel Marketing Meeting in 
April in Falls Church.

(imagine the EMS Tech places a bar code sticker on your head and 
scans you with a Nextel phone!)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:20:59 -0000

> http://www.vzwpushtotalk.com

I just did a whois on the domain name and it was registered on: 
Record created on 19-Mar-2003.

Things that make you go hmmmm, now when did Nextel get the trademark 
for "pushtotalk"???

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:37:25 -0400

Marcel:
 
Did you get my e-mail to the marcelrf addy or did the filter get me again?

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:51:23 -0700

I was aware of the acquisition but it seems the two groups are still
operating somewhat independent of each other. Without the JPS switch
there might not be a Furst Responder vehicle. ;-)

I'm pretty sure JPS and Smartlink already offer an interface for one
'cellphone', including Nextel, but what I'm referring to is;
PTT Interconnection between two different carriers in the same switch
box.
=====================================

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health. 1 month supply - $23.95
(1 bottle, 90 tablets, 400mg each with Magnesium & Vitamin D)
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mcIe3D/v9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:06:50 -0000

That is what I was referring too. They discussed Nextel's & Q-Chat, 
Winphoria ,Fastmobile interfaces. 

--- In [email-masked], Jack Daniel <JackDaniel@R...> wrote:
> > > Someone will do this as other cellular provides bring push to 
talk
> > on

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:46:27 -0000

Yea, everything is on autopilot I will check for it later.
I don't think I have added your new address yet.

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:05:27 -0000

Nextel's Push to Talk Trademark Approved
for Registration

06-20-03  11:08 AM EST  | RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS
WIRE)--Nextel(R) Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NXTL) today
announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office
approved the registration of its trademark for its Push To Talk(TM)
service. This is the culmination of an application process for Push To
Talk(TM) that began in January 2002. Push To Talk(TM) and its
sister mark, PTT(R), have for years denoted Nextel's signature
service, Nextel Direct Connect(R), an incredibly powerful, easy to
use, long-range digital walkie-talkie feature.

<SNIP>