Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Copps Calls For More Data In Wireless Competition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:33:34 -0400

FCC's Copps Calls For More Data In Wireless Competition Report

The Federal Communications Commission's latest wireless competition report shows
the industry still is the envy of the telecom world. However, the numbers could be
better or they could be worse--if the commission had access to all the data it
needs to reflect a comprehensively accurate study.

=======================================================================================

FCC's Copps Calls For More Data In Wireless
Competition Report

The Federal Communications Commission's latest wireless competition report shows
the industry still is the envy of the telecom world. However, the numbers could be
better or they could be worse--if the commission had access to all the data it
needs to reflect a comprehensively accurate study.

The report presented to the commissioners showed mobile data services are becoming
more prominent in U.S. competition. While data services generated 1 percent of the
industry's revenue during 2002, some 11.9 million, or 8 percent, of the country's
141.8 million mobile subscribers subscribed to some type of mobile Internet
service. In addition, 2.3 million consumers subscribed to mobile Internet services
on data-only devices at the end of 2002.

Last week, the commissioners didn't tell Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
officials to scrap their eighth wireless competition report (WT Docket 02-379) and
start over, but multiple members say they expect the FCC's data collection to grow
more robust. An April report by the General Accounting Office supports their
request, advising the FCC to include quality-of-service analysis in the wireless
competition report. More details also are needed on such questions as which areas
carriers actually cover within the markets they are licensed to serve.

"Without this basic information the commission cannot make conclusions on
competition that withstand scrutiny," Commissioner Michael Copps said. The
subscriber growth reported by the carriers' report is "good news," he added, "but
half of the country is still served by three or fewer competitors, and one quarter
of all U.S. counties have two or fewer competitors."
The Wireless Bureau got little help from the Notice of Inquiry it distributed,
asking carriers for marketplace information. "In other words, we asked industry to
help with more data, but industry said no," Copps observed.

Wireless Bureau Chief John Muleta tells Wireless Data News he hears the request
for more data loudly and clearly. Wireless providers, though, aren't anxious to
disclose marketplace data for the FCC report, and there are no requirements saying
they must. Carriers "find that burdensome and there's proprietary information
involved in it," Muleta says. "That's why I think they're reluctant to do that."

Copps also said he understands the bureau needs more money to expand its
data-collection capabilities significantly. More funding for market research will
be sought, but there also are many other budget items the FCC seeks from Congress.

"We can do it on our own by doing focus groups, surveys and all those kind of
things, and those are expensive," Muleta says. "We want to do research. There's no
lack of interest, it's just difficult to do it in the right scale and scope."

>>Michael Copps, 202/418-2000; John Muleta, 202/418-0600<<

http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/feature.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/