Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Eric's Opinion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:21:08 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: Robert Schwaninger [email-masked]
Subject:  Eric's Opinion

In a thoughtful piece, Eric wrote:

"After all, transmitters are not required to have no unwanted

emissions, they just have to reduce the unwanted stuff by a certain

amount."

With all due respect to Eric, I disagree with this statement as an altruism of the
status of regulation and law.Indeed, the FCC sets out certain standards that must
be met to obtain equipment authorization, including bandwidth, masking, emissions
roll-off and suppression, etc.However, the FCC Rules are not read piecemeal and
represent something more than engineering specs. The admonition which is present
throughout the Telecom Act is that the production of unauthorized transmissions,
i.e. electrical energy outside the bandwidth which appears on the license, is
prohibited if and when such energy causes harmful interference to others' quiet
enjoyment of their licensed bandwidth.Thus, Eric's statement is correct, insofar
as the "unwanted stuff" is reduced by "a certain amount" that avoids the creation
of harmful interference.