Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Weldon: Unify homeland funding control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:13:53 -0400

Weldon: Unify homeland funding control
BY Judi Hasson
June 30, 2003

PHILADELPHIA -- Power over the funding for homeland security is still spread among
more than a dozen congressional committees, and that's a mistake, according to
Rep. Curt Weldon (R-Pa.).

"Congress has to step up to the plate [and] develop a homeland security committee
with full jurisdiction over the dollars," said Weldon, vice chairman of the House
Armed Services Committee and a member of the Select Committee on Homeland
Security, which does not have the financial authority.

Still, Weldon said the Homeland Security Department has managed to thwart a number
of terrorist threats using its new capacities to share information and utilize
emerging technology.

He spoke today at the second annual Government Symposium on Information Sharing
and Homeland Security, sponsored by the Government Emerging Technology Alliance.

The House last week approved DHS' $29.4 billion budget for fiscal 2004, but many
Democrats and even some Republicans said more money is needed to secure the
nation.

However, Weldon warned that it is important that "we don't throw too much money at
the department. It's got to be methodical."

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0630/web-dhs-06-30-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/