Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Security adviser warns of cyberthreats

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:19:17 -0400

Security adviser warns of cyberthreats
BY Judi Hasson
July 23, 2003

Officials must still figure out how to fully secure the nation's critical
infrastructure against cyber attacks, a top homeland security adviser said
Tuesday.

General John Gordon, retired lieutenant general from the U.S. Air Force,
presidential assistant and adviser to the Homeland Security Council, said attacks
over electronic networks might become a threat as great as weapons of mass
destruction.

"It's serious. It's real. It's upon us," Gordon told a meeting of the National
Infrastructure Advisory Council in Washington, D.C.  "What we really see in this
open world is the testing of cyber weapons everyday."

The council, which consists of a gathering of industry and government officials,
is expected to issue recommendations for tougher information security protections
in October. It is struggling to figure out how to protect both public and private
facilities and networks.

One of the council's toughest challenges is determining what should be disclosed
to private industry and the public and when it should do so, officials told the
council. A working group, led by executives from Symantec Corp. and Cisco Systems
Inc., said they are developing guidelines for government and industry.

Those disclosure guidelines should take national security needs into account, said
Robert Liscouski, assistant secretary for Infrastructure Protection at the
Homeland Security Department and a member of the council.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0721/web-secure-07-23-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy a Proven Natural Vitamin Formula for Good Male Prostate Health - $28.97
(1 bottle, 1 Mo. Supply, 90 tablets, 28 ingredients) from VitaminBoost.com
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2865&lp=prosta2.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XvZh0C/MoaGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/