Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Help on way for 911- Two new antennas, and move for third

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:07:20 -0400

Help on way for 911

Two new antennas, and move for third

By WENDI HIMMELRIGHT Dispatch/Sunday News

The county is installing two additional 911 communication
antennas and relocating a third in an effort to eliminate
"dead spots," where emergency personnel cannot
communicate with dispatchers.

Emergency responders have complained for years about
the problem and about an antiquated 911 system in
general. In response, the county commissioners hired a
project manager and named a 19-member advisory
committee to oversee an upgrade of the system, expected
to cost $45 million.

The committee is looking for a new building to house the
911 center and Emergency Management Agency, trying to secure a radio
frequency that will allow all emergency responders to communicate with each
other, and is improving the existing system while the larger project is under
way.

The new radio sites and the relocation of another antenna are part of those
improvements, said Bob Fasick, the 911 project manager.

"It's work that really will dovetail quite nicely into the new building," he said.

Preferred site: County officials hope the new building will be the Columbia
Gas building on Smile Way in the York City Business and Industry Park.

Rob Boulware, spokesman for Columbia Gas, said the company has leased the
building for about five years. But the company needs less space because
organizational restructuring means more employees take their vehicles and
equipment home with them or work at other sites, he said.

Boulware said he doesn't know where Columbia Gas will relocate.

The county has received two appraisals on the property and is waiting for a
third, Fasick said. He would not say how much the building has been
appraised for, but preliminary budget figures show the county expects it will
cost $4.5 million to acquire the building and another $1.5 million to remodel it.

If the appraisals are within the county's budget, the county could start moving
into the new site by next spring. In the meantime, the county will erect
transmitters and receivers at two new sites -- the water tower at Eastern York
High School on Cool Creek Road in Wrightsville and on the water tower on
Greenwood Road in West Manchester Township.

Also the radio antenna at the Stewartstown borough office will be moved to a
Nextel facility on Route 24 (Barrens Road) in Stewartstown.

The county leases most of its tower sites for nominal fees.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/Stories/0,1413,138~10023~1488515,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/