Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push Comes to Shove in PTT

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:04:50 -0400

www.instantmessagingplanet.com/wireless/article.php/2230761

Push Comes to Shove in PTT
By Christopher Saunders
July 2, 2003

In a spat that underscores the
tensions mounting around
next-generation voice messaging,
Verizon Wireless is charging that rival
Nextel Communications (Quote,
Company Info) is working illegally to
undermine its soon-to-be-launched,
presence-enabled Push-to-Talk (PTT)
service.

Last week, Verizon Wireless, the
nation's largest mobile carrier, charged
that Nextel had engaged in corporate
espionage -- specifically, that it stole
prototype technology and accessed
Verizon Wireless' mobile network -- in an effort to study its larger rival's upcoming PTT service. That service, slated for release sometime before the end of the year, will compete with Nextel's own wildly popular "Direct Connect" offering.
In a statement, Reston, Va.-based Nextel said it was "baffled" by Verizon Wireless' claims since it said it had "conducted itself properly with respect to the allegations."
The company also said it planned to fight the suit.

The lawsuit comes as Bedminster, N.J.-based Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon Communications (Quote, Company Info) and Vodafone PLC (Quote, Company Info), is poised to launch its own foray into PTT -- with additions that include a form of instant messaging-like "Buddy Lists."
Mobile phones sold with the capabilities would show a list of a user's friends and
colleagues, likely displaying icons to indicate the availability of each to receive instant voice messages. If users are on a call, are using the mobile Internet, or have their phone turned off, those states would be shown on the list. Users are able to update their Buddy Lists from the phone.
A Verizon Wireless spokesperson declined to provide further details about the service.
Other carriers, including Sprint (Quote, Company Info) and AT&T Wireless (Quote, Company Info) are also planning similar offerings.
Efforts by Verizon Wireless and the other large carriers seek to take a page out of Nextel's book, as the only U.S. operator with PTT service today. Due in large part to the feature, the carrier routinely sees higher average revenue per user than its rivals -- a fact that has contributed to the company stock price's 700-plus percent increase over the last year.
But Nextel lacks the phone-updated Buddy List and presence-detection features of its rivals -- a fact that is crucial to the newcomers' strategy. Industry experts say that the larger players' networks might not be able to match the nearly instantaneous speed of Nextel's Direct Connect feature -- which runs on a Motorola iDEN network.  Consequently, the newest slate of PTT carriers are wagering that by adding features already popular in instant messaging to the product, they'll be able to offset end-user dissatisfaction with their slower connect times.
In a move to safeguard its market position in advance of the new competition, Nextel earlier last month registered the trademarks "PTT" and "Push-to-Talk." The carrier also plans to launch nationwide PTT service in August.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:16:05 -0500

This is totally ridiculous PTT and Push-To-Talk have been in the radio
industry dictionaries and vocabularies since the advent of the two way
radio.  These trademarks should be challenged.  That would be like someone
trademarking the word car and banning all automobile manufactures from using
the word or trademarking other common everyday use words to prevent someone
from using them.  Nextel should embrace competition and focus on service so
that they can serve the customer.  Who ever allowed Nextel to trademark
these phrases and words should have their mental faculties checked.

Lindsay

> In a move to safeguard its market position in advance of the new
competition, Nextel earlier last month registered the trademarks "PTT" and
"Push-to-Talk." The carrier also plans to launch nationwide PTT service in
August.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:36:58 -0500

Typed Drawing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Word Mark PUSH TO TALK
Goods and Services IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Telecommunication
services, namely, providing voice, data, pictures, music and video via
wireless networks. FIRST USE: 20030418. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030418
IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Hardware and software for use in
communications networks, namely, Internet protocol and telecommunications
network transmitters, receivers, converters, and routers which allow the
user to send voice, data, pictures, music and video over wireless networks.
FIRST USE: 20030418. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030418

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 78103382
Filing Date January 17, 2002
Filed ITU FILED AS ITU
Supplemental Register Date April 22, 2003
Owner (APPLICANT) Nextel Communications Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 2001
Edmund Halley Drive Reston VIRGINIA 20191
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register SUPPLEMENTAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:57:22 -0400

I agree-

Again- I urge all 2200+ Members  to vocalize their objections to Nextel's
secondary PTT registration.

==================================================

Send Your Comments On Nextel's Push-To-Talk & PTT To Nextel's representatives,
U.S. Patent and
Trademark Office.

Please cc:

[email-masked]

[email-masked].
(703)308-9110 Ext 104

Correspondent (Owner)
[email-masked]

Edward W. Gray, Jr (Attorney of record)

EDWARD W. GRAY, JR
FITCH, EVEN, TABIN & FLANNERY
120 SOUTH LA SALLE ST.
SUITE 1600
CHICAGO IL 60603

http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html#email

http://www.uspto.gov/emergencyalerts/tmemailnotice.htm

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:24:26 -0500

Seriously someone should challenge Nextel, I mean if I were a microphone
manufacturer I would challenge the trade marks of PTT and Push-To-Talk.  If
infact Nextel did trademark both PTT and Push-To-Talk then I have violated
their trademark 4 times in this e-mail alone.  Who or should I say what
idiot would allow the trademarking of an industry standard used throughout
the communications industry world wide.

I doubt that all the communications equipment manufactures are going to
change all their publications, brochures, web sites, etc., etc. Just because
Nextel is scared of competition.

Lindsay

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 12:04 PM
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push Comes to Shove in PTT

> Verizon Wireless' mobile network -- in an effort to study its larger
rival's upcoming PTT service. That service, slated for release sometime
before the end of the year, will compete with Nextel's own wildly popular
"Direct Connect" offering.
> In a statement, Reston, Va.-based Nextel said it was "baffled" by Verizon
Wireless' claims since it said it had "conducted itself properly with
respect to the allegations."
> The lawsuit comes as Bedminster, N.J.-based Verizon Wireless, a joint
venture of Verizon Communications (Quote, Company Info) and Vodafone PLC
(Quote, Company Info), is poised to launch its own foray into PTT -- with
additions that include a form of instant messaging-like "Buddy Lists."
> colleagues, likely displaying icons to indicate the availability of each
to receive instant voice messages. If users are on a call, are using the
mobile Internet, or have their phone turned off, those states would be shown
on the list. Users are able to update their Buddy Lists from the phone.
> Other carriers, including Sprint (Quote, Company Info) and AT&T Wireless
(Quote, Company Info) are also planning similar offerings.
> Efforts by Verizon Wireless and the other large carriers seek to take a
page out of Nextel's book, as the only U.S. operator with PTT service today.
Due in large part to the feature, the carrier routinely sees higher average
revenue per user than its rivals -- a fact that has contributed to the
company stock price's 700-plus percent increase over the last year.
> But Nextel lacks the phone-updated Buddy List and presence-detection
features of its rivals -- a fact that is crucial to the newcomers' strategy.
Industry experts say that the larger players' networks might not be able to
match the nearly instantaneous speed of Nextel's Direct Connect feature --
which runs on a Motorola iDEN network.  Consequently, the newest slate of
PTT carriers are wagering that by adding features already popular in instant
messaging to the product, they'll be able to offset end-user dissatisfaction
with their slower connect times.

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:03:55 -0400

I will apply for the following Trademark " PUSH BUTTON FOR SERVICE" this way
every banks tellers window & McD's drive-up in the US will give me credit.
(just kidding)