Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "This Week In Electrical History"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:54:03 -0400

"This Week In Electrical History"

30 June – 7 July 2003

30 June (1945) The basic design of the digital stored-program computer was
presented by John von Neumann in A First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC.

30 June (1948) Bell Labs announced the invention of the transistor.

1 July (1646) Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz, coinventor of the calculus, was born
on this date in Leipzig. He died on 14 Nov 1716.

1 July (1904) The path-breaking power station at Carville designed by Charles Merz
and William McClellan was opened by Lord Kelvin.

2 July (1896) Marconi filed his provisional specification of a patent for wireless
telegraphy; the complete specification was filed on 2 March 1897; the patent was
accepted on 2 July. The equivalent U.S. patent (No. 586,193) was granted Marconi
on 13 July 1897.

2 July (1923) A commissioning ceremony for the Naval Research Laboratory took
place.
2 July (2001) Two years ago the AbiorCor pump, the first artificial heart, was
implanted into a patient.

3 July (1846) The French government made the decision to begin replacing optical
telegraph lines with electrical ones.

3 July (1977) Raymond Damadian succeeded in making an MR image of the human
chest–the first human MR image.

4 July (1054) Chinese astronomers made the first observation of a supernova whose
remnants we now know as the Crab Nebula, perhaps the most intensely studied bright
nebula in the sky.

4 July (1919) An attempt was made to transmit President Woodrow Wilson's speech
given on board the U.S.S. George Washington; the pick-up was weak, so only nearby
ships could hear the President's words.

5 July(1951) Dr. William Shockley announced the invention of the junction
transistor in Murray Hill, NJ.

6 July(1851) Thomas Davenport, U.S. inventor of what is considered the first
commercially successful electric motor, died on this day. Born on 9 July 1802,
Davenport also built the first electric model railroad car.

7 July (1916) Thomas A. Edison became the head of the Naval Consulting Board, a
new civilian body created to advise the Navy on new inventions.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/