Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NASCAR official elaborates on AT&T-Nextel decision

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:24:17 -0400

Posted on Fri, Jul. 18, 2003

NASCAR official elaborates on AT&T-Nextel decision
By JIM UTTER

ThatsRacin.com Writer

LOUDON, N.H. - The future of AT&T's involvement in NASCAR
remains in question, although it appears BAM Racing has lost most
hope in securing the company as a primary sponsor for its No. 49
Dodges.

NASCAR chief operating officer George Pyne confirmed Friday that
NASCAR made the decision not to allow an expansion of AT&T's
sponsorship of BAM Racing in light of the sanctioning body's new
10-year deal with Nextel Communications to sponsor what is now
the Winston Cup series beginning in 2004.

AT&T's 1-800-CALL-ATT division, which has served as a primary
sponsor on BAM's No. 49 in several races this season, was among
the sponsors that would be allowed to continue in the sport under
a "grandfather clause," Pyne said.

However, NASCAR drew the line on any expansion of AT&T's
involvement, particularly the use of any logos that would promote
AT&T Wireless, a direct competitor of Nextel.

"It is part of our responsibility to look out for the interests for our
teams and our sponsors," Pyne said.

Audrey Schaefer, director of corporate communications for Nextel,
said NASCAR was the "final arbiter" for all sponsor decisions. She
said Nextel had no objection to AT&T's continued involvement in
the sport so long as it fell within the confines of Nextel's
agreement with NASCAR.

The use of AT&T's trademark "globe" logo has been the sticking
point on most of the discussions involving the possible full-time
sponsorship of BAM's team.

NASCAR has also had AT&T as an "official sponsor," but that
agreement concludes at the end of the season, Pyne said.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/6334417.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:21:03 -0000

> hope in securing the company as a primary sponsor for its No. 49

MARCEL, how dare you post such "old and erroreous(sp?)" 
information!!! (vbg)

Here's the real scoop:
Racing Notebook - Nextel officials say that AT&T sponsorship OK
By Mike Mulhern
Saturday, July 19, 2003

In the latest ATT-Nextel twist, Nextel officials, speaking for the 
first time, although very briefly, said they have no problem with 
ATT's sponsorship of Kenny Schrader and car owner Beth Ann 
Morgenthau and point to NASCAR for the current legal debate. And 
NASCAR officials, in a surprise, agreed. So NASCAR's stance this 
weekend is quite different from its stance last weekend, when Gus 
Larkin, the program manager for Morgenthau, said that NASCAR 
officials told him they were fighting for Morgenthau and trying to 
persuade Nextel to let ATT remain as sponsor. Yesterday, however, 
NASCAR confirmed that it, not Nextel, was pushing to limit ATT's 
involvement in Winston Cup racing.
-------
Seems that Nextel started to feel the heat and then asked NASCAR to 
play "Bad Cop".

The whole deal is stupid to begin with, what are Nextel and NASCAR 
going to do when McDonalds and/or Starbucks wants to get back into 
NASCAR???

PS. Breaking news - alert!!! The misguided SOBs over at Qualcomm 
have gotten off their rearends and created a nanocell 1xEV-DO 
basestation that will compete with 802.11 access points on price. 
Very interest, even if its 2 friggin years too late, and still lacks 
an upgrades RL. But this is Qualcomm(the next great monopolist), 
where talking about.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:51:03 -0000

> Racing Notebook - Nextel officials say that AT&T sponsorship OK

Timmy said it was the truth.....

He would not lie......right?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Jim Storms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:10:57 -0500

NEXTEL rears it's ugly head early: Nextel, although landing the deal for
millions of dollars as the new sponsor of NASCAR's premier division, has
already reared it ugly head by emphatically insisting that only Alltel and
Cingular could be grandfathered into the series as sponsors on 2 of the
cup teams.
http://www.teamracin.com/Articles/2003/GaryG720.htm