Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Maryland County Launches $175M Communications Center

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:03:27 -0400

Updated: 07-23-2003 11:05:48 AM

Maryland County Launches $175M Communications Center

Firehouse.com News

Fire Dispatchers operate multiple screened work-stations.

Lt. Dallas Lipp demonstrates truck computer interface.

Montgomery County PIO

Montgomery County’s public safety emergency response and communications
capabilities were substantially enhanced this week following the County’s
switchover to a new 800 MHz public safety communications system that will
significantly improve homeland security.

“This new communication system moves us another step forward in our homeland
security efforts, and it gives our crime fighters and other emergency workers the
tools they need to work in the 21st century,” said Montgomery County Executive
Douglas M. Duncan. “I’d like to acknowledge the extraordinary work and dedication
of the police and fire/rescue personnel who were involved in the planning and
implementation of this project. Despite the considerable challenges of bringing a
system like this online, the end result of being able to communicate on a variety
of levels to and from the field is priceless.”

The new system is among the first in the country to fully integrate fire/rescue
and police radio and records management. Police cars and other public safety
vehicles are outfitted with state-of-the-art wireless communications systems that
will improve officer safety, increase productivity and reduce time-consuming
paperwork. The six major components of the new communications system include:

A new 9-1-1 system;

Computer-aided dispatch;

Automatic vehicle locator (to identify the location of all police and fire-rescue
units in the County);
A mobile data computer system (through a laptop in each public safety vehicle);
A computerized mapping system accessible from all public safety units; and
A new multi-channel 800 MHz radio system that provides wide coverage inside and
outside of all buildings and is interoperable with other public safety departments
in the region.

The system has been in development for the past seven years, during which time
considerable planning, procedural changes and training have been developed and
implemented. The $175 million communications system replaces a 30-year-old radio
system that no longer meets the County’s requirements for total coverage or
capacity. For the past few months, dispatchers have operated the old system and
components of the new system simultaneously in order to ensure a smooth
transition. Now that the new system is fully operational, the old system will be
replaced with equipment that mirrors the new system so that there is an efficient
backup system for emergencies.

The Mobile Data System component includes in-vehicle access to local, state and
national databases, as well as access to the computer aided dispatch (CAD) system,
mapping and automated vehicle location, and a new automated records management
system featuring in-vehicle field reporting. The new computers will provide users
with on-line capabilities to obtain and input data on numerous activities related
to law enforcement and public safety – including completing and filing reports
electronically from the field.

Among the many capabilities of the new system are access to street directions,
records of previous emergency incidents at a specific address, and listings of any
hazardous materials located on the premises. Police officers can obtain valuable
information on criminal and motor vehicle databases, such as the Maryland
Interagency Law Enforcement System (MILES) and the National Law Enforcement
Telecommunications System (NLETS).

The 800 MHz radio system penetrates buildings, enabling public safety personnel to
communicate efficiently from inside large structures. It also provides efficient
communication with public safety workers in neighboring jurisdictions – while
enabling the jurisdictions to maintain autonomous dispatch operations.

“This is a significant development for the residents of Montgomery County as well
as the public safety workers who serve them,” said County Council President
Michael L. Subin. “Our emergency response efforts can now be done more safely and
efficiently.” According to Fire Administrator Gordon Aoyagi, “This new system will
enhance firefighter safety through improved in-building radio coverage, reliable
transmissions, premise and address information and interoperability with other
mutual aid fire companies and public safety departments. The opportunities for
further cooperation and collaboration among the public safety departments will
improve the efficiency and effectiveness of fire and emergency medical services to
our citizens.”

“This technology improvement will enable those of us in service to the community
to be more effective at saving lives, deterring and preventing crime, and
improving the quality of our neighborhoods,” said Acting Police Chief William
O’Toole.

“We are redesigning the way we do business with this new communications system,
since this allows us instant access to information that is critical for our
deputies to have on the street,” said Sheriff Raymond M. Kight. “I commend the
County Executive and County Council for supporting this important public safety
project that will enable us to better serve the residents of Montgomery County.”

Art Wallenstein, director of the County’s Department of Correction and
Rehabilitation said, “Better communication enables us to better protect our
homeland. We are pleased with the new system and the tools it provides to help us
keep our community safe.”
As part of the communications system project, a 54,000-square-foot facility in
Gaithersburg has been leased and renovated to accommodate the police and fire
9-1-1 Emergency Communication Center, along with technology training and technical
support facilities. By fall, the building will also house the County’s new
Emergency Operations Center and Transportation Management Center.

 http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=15579