Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Subject: Re: "Hot-Spot"

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:14:41 -0400

Unlicensed services in the USA don't require type acceptance, but then
neither do the licensed services any more.  Now, it's equipment
verification, certification or letter of conformity, depending on radio
service.  P90 devices are certificated.  I suspect P15 is letter of
conformity although I haven't bothered to check it.  Type approval
doesn't exist.

Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Parrish [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 4:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Subject: Re: "Hot-Spot"

tbm3518 wrote:

<<< The only way Big Brother can impose things like CALEA is through
the regulatory clout they have. If the carrier does not provide the
feature, they pull their license. Big Brother has a problem here when
they have no license to pull. It's a new ballgame now for Big Brother.
It's not "one if by land, two if by sea" anymore. 

Actually, Big Brother has one significant tool they can use to influence
the process of getting such a network off the ground. FCC type
acceptance - if you don't have that, you can't sell your product in the
US.

The cool thing about the type acceptance issue is that you could most
likely succeed in getting just the UWB module (the "air interface") type
accepted. Any additional components (like processor and protocol
software) would be able to inherit that type acceptance. I may be wrong
on this.

-rick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707
367802:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit
?page=1374-105951838331032> 

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=977674917> 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:58:00 -0700

Roger,
I'm sure you didn't mean if equipment is used in unlicensed operations
it doesn't need FCC approval (certification, registartion, exc.)

I know of one importer that has not gotten FCC approval on their
equipment because it is used in an application that doesn't require a
specific license. They operate on Part 90 frequencies and must be
certified according to my copy of the rules, no exceptions.

People get station authorizations confused with equipment approvals and
they are not the same thing.

Of course it is the user that loses when they get such bad advice.

But I my be wrong......
Jack Daniel
===========================================

Madden, Roger wrote:
> 
> Unlicensed services in the USA don?t require type acceptance, but then
> neither do the licensed services any more.  Now, it?s equipment
> verification, certification or letter of conformity, depending on
> radio service.  P90 devices are certificated.  I suspect P15 is letter
> of conformity although I haven?t bothered to check it.  Type approval
> doesn?t exist.
> 
> 
> 
> Roger
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Actually, Big Brother has one significant tool they can use to
> influence the process of getting such a network off the ground. FCC
> type acceptance - if you don't have that, you can't sell your product
> in the US.
> 
> likely succeed in getting just the UWB module (the "air interface")
> type accepted. Any additional components (like processor and protocol
> software) would be able to inherit that type acceptance. I may be
> wrong on this.
> 
> -rick
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
> 
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]
> 
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/