Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AbsoluteEncrypt secures mobile data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:37:58 -0400

AbsoluteEncrypt secures mobile data
 Product review
BY Michelle Speir
July 14, 2003

When mobile notebook users access files or e-mail residing on an agency's network,
security can be provided via access controls and encrypted virtual private
networks.
But what secures the data that is stored on the notebook's hard drive? For
sensitive data, it is clear passwords aren't enough, especially when mobile
workers are connected to public networks.

That's why Absolute Software Corp. has introduced AbsoluteEncrypt, a centrally
managed security solution that protects desktop data on notebooks and PCs
operating from remote locations such as satellite or home offices.

The product allows administrators to create one or more encrypted virtual volumes
on a hard drive so users can save sensitive files to them. In fact, the files
remain encrypted while users work with them because opening a file does not
decrypt it.  Therefore, data is secure in the event of a power outage or complete
system failure.

The encryption process is transparent to users, who can work with the encrypted
volume — which appears as a new Microsoft Corp.  Windows drive letter — just like
any other drive on the system.

AbsoluteEncrypt offers high levels of customization and impressive ease of
management through its browser-based administrative interface, the Absolute
Console. The console, incidentally, can simultaneously manage all products made by
Absolute Software.
Thanks to its client/server architecture, the product is easy to deploy and
includes features such as real-time alerts that can help enforce compliance.

We tested AbsoluteEncrypt as a software service deployed over the Internet, but
the product can be distributed as enterprise software across the corporate
network.
The client is a small application called the Computrace Agent that resides on the
hard drive of host machines. The agent uses an IP or telephone connection to
automatically contact Absolute's central server, the Monitoring Center, at regular
intervals such as once a day, making enterprisewide management possible. When an
administrator configures AbsoluteEncrypt settings, the changes are distributed
across all client machines during the next call.Communications between the agent
and the Monitoring Center are initiated at the client and are encrypted.

We loved the Absolute Console's user-friendly interface. All options are grouped
into sections, such as administrative tools and encryption settings that are
collapsible to reduce on-screen clutter. Lists of devices and other information
are quite detailed.
Administrators begin by creating groups and then assigning a template of
configuration options, called an instance, to each group. Multiple instances can
be created and saved in a list within the console, although only one instance can
be active on a device at a time. For each instance, administrators choose
encryption settings and alerts. They can also view lists of devices and groups.

The encryption settings form the heart of the software. The four encryption
algorithms, which are available at key strengths ranging from 40 to 448 bits,
depending on the algorithm, include: Blowfish, Rijndael, Twofish and Triple Data
Encryption Standard.
Administrators can require a separate password for authentication to the encrypted
volume, or they can set a single sign-on option that authenticates users
automatically via their Windows network credentials.

The ability to send alerts to administrators makes this product dynamic. The alert
list is extensive and can enforce user compliance. For example, one alert lets
administrators know when folders have been moved to the encrypted volume. Alerts
can also be triggered when installation is complete, when users become locked out,
when passwords are reset or when licenses are about to expire.

In some cases it would be impractical to send an alert every time a certain event
takes place, so the software allows you to define the number of occurrences you'd
like to ignore before an alert is sent.

Agencies concerned about unprotected mobile desktop data should consider using
AbsoluteEncrypt. It offers dynamic, centrally managed encryption protection in a
user-friendly, flexible and affordable package.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0714/tec-encrpyt-07-14-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/