Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Timmy Said: "In 2001 or early 2002 we'll have Direct Connect on a nationwide basis"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:16:01 -0400

Nextel's Nationwide direct connect has always been a moving target. Every just
believes what ever Nextel say's does any verify what these guys are saying??

<SNIP>
Chief Executive Tim Donahue said. ``We have the opportunity to go regional with
DirectConnect, meaning a sales manager in Boston can push the big button and talk
to a sales rep in Washington,'' he said at a Banc of America Securities conference
in San Francisco. ``That will happen in late 2000, and in 2001 or early 2002 we'll
have Direct Connect on a nationwide basis.''

========================================================================================

9/30/1999 11:33 PM
Nextel to Expand Walkie-Talkie Features Regionally, Nationally

Nextel to Expand Walkie-Talkie Features Regionally, Nationally San Francisco,
Sept. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Nextel Communications Inc., a national wireless-phone
service provider, will expand its DirectConnect walkie-talkie service so groups
can communicate regionally and nationally, Chief Executive Tim Donahue said. ``We
have the opportunity to go regional with DirectConnect, meaning a sales manager in
Boston can push the big button and talk to a sales rep in Washington,'' he said at
a Banc of America Securities conference in San Francisco. ``That will happen in
late 2000, and in 2001 or early 2002 we'll have Direct Connect on a nationwide
basis.''

Nextel is working with its Motorola Inc., which makes its phone handsets, to make
these new services possible, Donahue said. He described the opportunity as
``significant,'' but wasn't more specific.

Nextel has been adding white-collar companies to its traditional blue-and
gray-collar customer base, which now includes half of the Fortune 500, Donahue
said. These companies ``are finding huge applications for Nextel phones that they
can't get anywhere else,'' he said.

Nextel already has the highest average monthly revenue per user in the wireless
industry, at $74, and the lowest customer turnover, at 2 percent. The company
intends to push its customer turnover lower, Donahue said. ``My anticipation is
that we can reduce churn,'' he said.  Forty percent of customers who leave Nextel
do so voluntarily, and say they will return if the company improves its coverage
where they need to use their phone, Donahue said.

The company also is ``aggressively expanding'' its network, keeping its switching
technology six months ahead of demand and its radio-frequency technology four
months ahead of demand, he said.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/