Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Using Mobile IPv6 over PPP links

From: "Suvidh Mathur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:57:26 +0530

Hi,
In case of address configured on virtual device, how would MN in home
be handled?
MN would be getting RA's on ppp0, and normal RA processing would create
an address based on the prefix contained in the RA on the ppp0 device.

Suvidh

Tuesday, 15 July, 2003 1:22 PM
To: Krishna Kumar <[email-masked]>
cc: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
[email-masked]
From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Using Mobile IPv6 over PPP links

> >
> > Is there any work ongoing to support mobile ipv6 over PPP links ? I am
> > trying
> > to do this but am having problems during movement. When I move from the
> > HN to FN (disconnect the MN's serial cable from one network and
reconnect
> > to another network), the device vanishes and I lose the home address.
So
> > when I reconnect it to the FN, I get a new device and new foreign
address,
> > but
> > since I don't have the home address any longer, movement fails.
> >
> > I don't know if any discussions have taken place about supporting
mobility
> > over PPP. Please let me know if anyone has any insight into this, or if
> > there is
> > any work related to this (in IETF or elsewhere).

dont assign the home address to the ppp0 interface.
assigning the home address to a virtual interface
would be a good idea.

Vijay

---

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:05:42 -0700

Suvidh & Bob -

If the MN never attaches to its home network, then this will never be an
issue. One popular recommendation for MIPv6 deployment is to have the
home network be some link (or virtual network, even) that the MN never
directly attaches to, then the MN never has to worry about what to do
when it returns home. Please refer to issue #295 with the following
comments from Greg O'Shea:

" I do think that the specification could have been simpler, although
 this is not a show stopper and once the initial base spec is 
 approved there may be efforts in this direction. I believe that home 
 nets and therefore home addresses should be virtual nets e.g. on a
 virtual IF on a HA. This means that random hosts cannot directly 
 attach to the net and interfere with address assignment. In turn this 
 means that HA need not run DAD before protecting a HoA, the HA need 
 not protect link-local addresses derived from HoA, NS code is simpler 
 and in some cases handoff latency is reduced by a second or two. This 
 idea was well received on the list but has been set aside as future 
 work."

Otherwise, you will have to detect the MN returning to home, in which
case you will have to unconfigure the MN's home address from the virtual
interface (so that it can be configured by PPP on ppp0). This obviously
would require hacks in IPv6 Prefix Discovery.

Thanks.
- Ed Remmell
Elmic Systems, USA
http://www.elmic.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Suvidh Mathur
> Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 1:27 AM
> To: Vijay Devarapalli
> Cc: [email-masked]
> In case of address configured on virtual device, how would MN 
> in home be handled? MN would be getting RA's on ppp0, and 
> normal RA processing would create an address based on the 
> prefix contained in the RA on the ppp0 device.
> 
> Suvidh
> 

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.497 / Virus Database: 296 - Release Date: 7/4/2003