Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bandits have killed six people for their mobile phones, since Friday-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:16:07 -0400

Mobile phone deaths rock Somalia
By Mohamed Olad Hassan
BBC, Mogadishu

Bandits have killed six people for their mobile phones, since Friday, in the
Somali capital Mogadishu, which is already facing anarchy and ethnic fighting.
Most of the victims, including an 18-year-old man carrying the phones were
targeted and murdered around the main Bakara market.

Residents, and in particular businessmen, are living in fear as the bandit groups
are roamingthe city streets.

Osman Hassan Awale, a mobile phone seller in Bakara market, said that more than 25
mobile phones are robbed from their owners and brought to market vendors each day.
"The bandits target the mobile phone holders and kill them if they refuse to hand
them over," Mr Awale said. While security in Mogadishu worsens, thousands of
police from the Somali Transitional Government (TNG) are passively watching the
rampant insecurity because their power and movements are restricted by militia who
control the region.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3039274.stm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/