Subject: [mobile-ip] new I-D on HA filtering

From: Nicolas Montavont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:54:32 +0200

Hi all,

We just submitted a new I-D on Home Agent Filtering for Mobile IPv6, 
available at

http://www-r2.u-strasbg.fr/~montavont/draft-montavont-mobileip-ha-filtering-v6-00.txt

It will be soon available in the IETF repertories.

This I-D proposes a solution for the MN to set filters on its home 
agent. Filters can be used to spread flows on different CoAs (and 
potentially several network interfaces), and to forbid the redirection 
of certain flows from the home agent.

Here is the abstract:

Mobile IPv6 allows a MN to receive incoming packets to its home address 
while it is away from its home network. In a heterogeneous environment, 
a MN may have multiple interfaces, each with different characteristics. 
While a MN is in a visited network, due to the performance of the 
interfaces or to the user preferences, the MN may want to forbid the 
redirection from its home agent of a kind of flow, or to indicate a 
target CoA for a kind of flow.
In this draft, we propose new mobility options that allow a MN to 
advertise filters to its home agent. A filter is associated with a CoA, 
in such a way that the MN can register several CoA and can register 
several filters for one CoA. A filter may indicate that a flow which map 
to a filter must be dropped or must be redirected to the indicated CoA.

Regards,
Nicolas

---

From: "Koojana Kuladinithi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:56:17 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

There are a lot of drafts related to multiple points of attachments and flow

distribution, especially for MIPv6.

Followings are the list of drafts, (that I am aware of)

MIPv4
-------

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nomad-mobileip-filters-03.txt.

MIPv6
-------
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-soliman-mobileip-flow-move-03.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wakikawa-mobileip-multiplecoa-

To be listed at the IETF repository.

http://www.comnets.uni-bremen.de/english/research/draft-nomadv6-mobileip-fi
lters-00.txt

http://www-r2.u-strasbg.fr/~montavont/draft-montavont-mobileip-ha-filtering-
v6-00.txt

Perhaps, we should initiate a discussion in mobile-ip or nemo WG to discuss 
about this topic.

Kind regards

Koojana

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Nicolas
Montavont
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2003 09:55
An: mobileip
Betreff: [mobile-ip] new I-D on HA filtering 

Hi all,

http://www-r2.u-strasbg.fr/~montavont/draft-montavont-mobileip-ha-filtering-
v6-00.txt

Here is the abstract:

Regards,
Nicolas

---

From: Nicolas Montavont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:51:41 +0200

Hi Koojana and all,

This is exatly our attend.

I would like to propose to the mobileip WG that we create a design team 
in order to work on multiple interfaces and multiple CoAs issues in MIPv6.

I think about writing a WG draft that regroups all ideas listed in each 
individual drafts:
    - draft-soliman-mobileip-flow-move-03.txt
    - draft-montavont-mobileip-ha-filtering-v6-00.txt
    - draft-nomadv6-mobileip-filters-00.txt
    - draft-wakikawa-mobileip-multiplecoa-01.txt
    - draft-montavont-mobileip-mmi-00.txt, obsoleted, but always 
available at 
http://www-r2.u-strasbg.fr/~montavont/draft-montavont-mobileip-mmi-00.txt

The common I-D should define:
    - How a multiple interfaces MN should use MIPv6: discuss how a MN 
may use MIPv6 when it has several interfaces/CoAs, several home 
addresses... without any change to MIPv6
    - Then describe extensions to MIPv6, in order to
        - perform multiple CoAs registration for the same home address
        - perform per-flow movement with any CNs based on the quintuplet 
identification of IPv6 flow label
        - perform packets filtering on HA (and CN ?)

Who agree with this idea ?

Nicolas Montavont - LSIIT

---

From: "Koojana Kuladinithi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:21:15 +0200

Hi all,

This seem like a good way to proceed, provided that others agree with this. 
Additionally, I think IPv4 drafts too should be considered in this manner.

Regards

Koojana

> Von: [email-masked] [mailto:owner-mobile-
> [email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Nicolas Montavont
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2003 15:52
> An: Koojana Kuladinithi; Soliman Hesham; 'Ryuji Wakikawa'; Thierry Ernst;
> Thomas Noel; mobileip; [email-masked]
> Betreff: Re: AW: [mobile-ip] new I-D on HA filtering
> 
> Hi Koojana and all,
>

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:29:36 +0900

> Additionally, I think IPv4 drafts too should be considered in this manner.

I disagree. It has been decided to split Mobile IP WG in v4 and v6, so
it's clearly a bad idea to consider both v4 and v6.

Thierry

---

From: "Koojana Kuladinithi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:51:02 +0200

Hi Thierry
What I meant was to discuss this issue for both versions, not in the same
list. But at the moment, only mobile-ip is acive (with some activity in
mip6). Once mip4 is active, we can transfer mip4 discussions to that list.

Regards

Koojana

> [email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Thierry Ernst
> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2003 10:30
> An: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [mobile-ip] new I-D on HA filtering
>

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:22:41 +0900

> mip6). Once mip4 is active, we can transfer mip4 discussions to that list.

Well, personally, anything related to v4 is overhead. And I tend to
think it's also the case for most of the other involved in this thread,
so separate group of people would definitely be involved.

Thierry

---

From: Thomas Noel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:33:12 +0200

>so separate group of people would definitely be involved.
Agree,

Thomas, Nicolas