Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: The Register.htm

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:21:03 -0400

22 July 2003
  Updated: 12:23 GMT
The Register <http://www.theregister.co.uk/>
Wireless Operators in association with Vodafone
<http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/clk;5259419;7902102;h?http://www.vodafone.co.u
k/mobileconnect>

 Search The Register

Go!

Rackspace <http://www.rackspace.co.uk/>
Register Services
Register ISP <http://www.vcisp.net/>
Reg Jobsearch <http://194.203.155.78/minisites/theregister/jobsearch.asp>
Reg Merchandise <http://www.cashncarrion.co.uk/>
IT-minds bookstore <http://www.it-minds.com/zone.asp?item=076&affid=tre>
Sections
Front Page <http://www.theregiste>
Software <http://www.theregiste>
Enterprise Systems <http://www.theregister>
Servers <http://www.theregister>
Storage <http://www.theregister>
Personal Hardware <http://www.theregister>
Semiconductors <http://www.theregiste>
Internet <http://www.theregiste>
Security <http://www.theregister>
Virus News <http://www.theregister>
Business <http://www.theregiste>
Networks <http://www.theregiste>
Bootnotes <http://www.theregister>
This Week's Headlines <http://www.theregister>

Wireless - Operators <http://www.theregister>
Wireless and Mobile Devices <http://www.theregister>
Wireless - WLAN <http://www.theregister>
Wireless - 3G <http://www.theregister>
Broadband <http://www.theregister>
The Mac Channel <http://www.theregister>
Channel Flannel <http://www.theregister>
Small Business <http://www.theregister>
BOFH <http://www.theregister>
Letters <http://www.theregister>
Site News <http://www.theregister>
Contact us <http://www.theregister>

The Reg Newsletter
Enter your email address here for our daily news update.
Privacy Policy <http://www.theregister>

Get the Reg Screensaver.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/31/17656.html>

Join the Reg SETI group.
<http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&amp;id=14
5855>

Join Reg Cancerbusters. <http://www.theregister>
<http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/jump/theregister.co.uk/mobile;dcopt=ist;area=m
obile;pos=1;sz=468x60;tile=1;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;ord=100060?>

  _____

Unexpected GSM mobile phone network found in Baghdad
By John Lettice <mailto:[email-masked]>
Posted: 22/07/2003 at 12:16 GMT

A Reuters report so wacky we feel sure it must be true reports the
mysterious appearance of a mobile phone network
<http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3130
924>  in Baghdad yesterday. And it is erm, a GSM mobile phone network.

The company formerly known as WorldCom
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/30769.html>  currently runs a
network for the US military and related operations, but - at least until
yesterday - there was some confusion as to whether the jury was still out on
who was getting the gig, or whether at least one tender had been awarded.
Yesterday's weirdnesses would however tend to suggest that we have some kind
of done deal, and furthermore that it has been done with ungrateful
foreigners in defiance of the Qualcomm campaigning of frothing congressman
Darrell Issa. <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/29974.html>

Life is somewhat complicated if the foreigners turn out to be valued allies
and/or domiciled in local friendly countries it's important to keep onside.

Reuters reports that foreign registered GSM phones were receiving welcoming
text messages saying "MTC-Vodafone wishes you a pleasant stay in Kuwait,"
and that some users achieved brief service on Bahrain's Batelco. MTC already
operates in Basra, but the administration has plans for three licences
across Iraq. Or would that be two? Or maybe one? R

 Rackspace is the first Host to offer Red Hat Enterprise, exclusive special
offer click here! <http://www.theregister.co.uk/offers/hosting/linux.html>
 For unbeatable deals on HP COMPAQ Desktops click here!
<http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;5723931;3439904;n?http://ad.uk.doubleclick.ne
t/clk;5663561;8133623;j?http://www.hp.com/uk/offers/>
 For unbeatable deals on HP COMPAQ Laptops click here!
<http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;5723931;3439904;n?http://ad.uk.doubleclick.ne
t/clk;5663561;8133623;j?http://www.hp.com/uk/offers/>
 For unbeatable deals on HP COMPAQ Pocket PCs click here!
<http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;5723931;3439904;n?http://ad.uk.doubleclick.ne
t/clk;5663561;8133623;j?http://www.hp.com/uk/offers/>
 Not a wind-up - the amazing no-battery emergency phone charger at
Cash'n'Carrion
<http://www.cashncarrion.co.uk/?listPos=&op=catalogue-products-null&prodCate
goryID=17>
<http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/jump/theregister.co.uk/mobile;area=mobile;pos=
2;sz=160x600;tile=1;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;ord=100060?>

<http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/jump/theregister.co.uk/mobile;area=mobile;pos=
1;sz=120x90;tile=1;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;ord=100060?>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:23:11 -0400

I think they forgot the Iraqi government had previous GSM plans. The Iraqi
government took delivery of a Chinese /GSM  switch in 2000. They had problems due
to UN sanctions on the country. They started building 60 base stations covering
about a 70 mile with a capacity for 25,000. The other network is a GSM network
covering the city of As Suläymanïyah in Northern iraq, operated by Kurdish
separatists.

Todd Ellis wrote:

                   By John Lettice

A Reuters report so wacky we feel sure it must be true reports the mysterious
appearance of a mobile phone network in Baghdad yesterday. And it is erm,
a GSM mobile phone network.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/