Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Platinum cell phones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:47:32 -0400

Platinum cell phones

Cell phones containing platinum are likely to hit the market next year after an
announcement by Japan's DoCoMo that it will start shipping 3G phones that will use
fuel cells instead of batteries. Fuel cells require platinum as a major component
to enable them to generate energy. Platinum increases electrical conductivity in
PEM (proton exchange membrane) fuel cells. It is critical to fuel cell
commercialization and can alone command 10% to 20% of a fuel cell system's cost.
Accepting the U.S. Department of Energy's target for platinum use in fuel cell
vehicles - 0.2 grams per kilowatt - total platinum use by fuel cell systems could
bring an 8% to 12% increase to the world demand for platinum by 2013, according to
ABI projections.

With South Africa and Russia dominating world production of platinum,
industrialized nations who may seek to replace part of their fossil fuel
infrastructure with alternative energy sources may have to address issues of
dependence on platinum over the long term.

While mass market commercial fuel cell shipments remain elusive, the year 2004 may
prove to be the moment of truth. Both Toshiba and NEC reiterated their goals to
ship laptops powered by micro fuel cells in 2004, and Japanese wireless giant NTT
DoCoMo also surprised the market with its announcement to ship 3G handsets powered
by micro fuel cells. The market for micro fuel cells is expected to reach about
200 million units in 2011, according to research firm ABI.

Posted to the site on 30-Jul-03
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9397.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/