Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hamilton County Makes P-25 Digital Radios Available To Outsiders

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 02:21:29 -0400

Wednesday, July 16, 2003
Hamilton County Makes P-25 Digital Radios Available To Outsiders

New county system tunes out scanners

By David Eck

Enquirer contributor

COLERAIN TWP. - A new radio system going online this week is a boon for suburban
Hamilton County police and fire workers, who for years have complained that that
the old system was overloaded and lacked the capacity for police officers and
firefighters to talk to each other on the same radio. But the new system is
expected to make it harder for scanner enthusiasts, media and others to listen to
Hamilton County police calls.

The ra dio system carries police and fire dispatches, conversations between
officers at crime scenes, communications between firefighters and police officers,
and other public safety communications. The new Motorola 20-channel, 800-megahertz
ultra-high frequency digital trunked system will eliminate dead spots and provide
clarity even in buildings, officials say.
Previously, fire departments had been operating on a 40-year-old low-band system,
while the police departments were on a 460-megahertz very high-frequency analog
system that dated to the 1970s.

But officials say they are not planning to simulcast police traffic on the old
equipment, effectively shutting existing scanners out of the system. Most existing
scanners cannot monitor the system. All but a few police departments in suburban
Hamilton County are being moved to the new $30 million radio system today, and the
existing radio equipment is expected to go offline within a few days, said Greg
Wenz, operations director for the Hamilton County Communications Center. "At that
point we'll be pretty much fully installed on the new system," Wenz said. The
switch is not expected to affect Cincinnati police or suburban fire department
transmissions. The switch has local media outlets shelling out big bucks to stay
updated on police activity.
County officials are making radios available to media and other organizations who
need access to the system. The cost:
$2,500 to $3,700 per radio.

The radios will be modified in that the transmit function will be disabled, Wenz
said. "We have total control over who's on the system," Wenz said.  "(The radios)
have to be programmed. They have to be physically turned on in the system."
Several media outlets, including the Enquirer, are buying the radios in order to
cover the news. "As a television guy, if you have no video it's very difficult to
tell the story," said Bob Morford, news director at WCPO-TV. "If we can't arrive
in time to take pictures, it's very, very difficult to tell the story on our
medium." WCPO is spending about $10,000 to buy the radios, Morford said.
WLWT is buying one radio. "If we're in the dark, obviously so would the viewers,"
said Sally Macy, assistant news director at WLWT. "We'll be in good shape. A lot
of the news department can hear the scanners. I think it's unfortunate for the
main media outlets in the market. It's an unfortunate cost."

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/07/16/loc_scanners16.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/