Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: FAA enables GPS-based Wide Area Augmentation System for ATC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:41:23 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Maples, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: FAA enables GPS-based Wide Area Augmentation System for ATC

All: This raises a series of ugly questions:

1. How jamproof is GPS?  Has RAND or someone really looked to see how hard this
would be, particularly immediately around the approaches to a major airport?  I
can imagine a scenario on a foggy morning where numerous GPS jammers are placed
immediately around a busy airport like Dulles and 2-3 planes pile it in because
they are depending on GPS to help them get down.

2. How reliable is the system from a maintenance standpoint?  I know that this is
a DoD system, but it's a lot easier to build the system than it is to maintain it
(because Congress, who counts noses more than they count dollars, NEVER
automatically budgets for maintenance and operations of capital expenditures (e.g.
systems like GPS) that they approve).  That being the case, I hope it's a lot
harder than some of the stuff that is typically deployed.

3. How hardened is the system?  We are putting an increasing number of eggs
relative to navigational accuracy AND SYSTEM TIMING (e.g. a lot of RF-based
deployments) in this one basket.  How easy is it to take this system down with
ground-based lasers, ASAT weapons, etc.?  What's the backup plan if something like
this DOES happen?  What do we say to countries that start thinking that way?

4. How much credit do we (and our DoD) get around the world for deploying a tool
that everyone, everywhere, now makes use of???  Probably none, but I figured it's
a worthwhile question to ask.

Silly thought: Wonder if Clear Channel will take over ownership of GPS, like they
are reputed to be doing with WWV (snicker)?  Wonder what new "format change" they
would apply to it (double snicker)?  Maybe "No matter which way you go, here's
where you are!"??

Just some thoughts on a Sunday AM...

Dave Maples

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy 1, Get 1 FREE
Control Cravings & Hunger EZ! Fast Acting Natural Oral Spray - $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2866&lp=ezappetite3.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rJIe0D/99VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/