Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel’s spectrum coup comes as its dogged campaign to obtain additional frequencies through a plan to remedy 800 MHzpublic-safety interference appears to be losing ground and faces increased hostility from competing mobile-phone carriers.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:15:21 -0400

Nextel’s spectrum coup comes as its dogged campaign to obtain additional
frequencies through a plan to remedy 800 MHz
public-safety interference appears to be losing ground and faces increased
hostility from competing mobile-phone carriers.

===================================================================================

Nextel snags WorldCom spectrum
By Nextel snags WorldCom spectrum
July 01 12:57:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Nextel Communications Inc., desperately seeking spectrum, came out of
nowhere to win the auction of
bankrupt WorldCom Inc.’s wireless assets with a $144 million bid, more than
doubling the original offer by BellSouth Corp.
last month.

The results of last week’s auction were disclosed in a June 30 filing by WorldCom
with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the
Southern District of New York in Manhattan. Before the auction, insiders believed
competition for WorldCom’s wireless
assets would come largely from local and long-distance telephone companies that
need wireless Internet solutions for rural
areas. Nextel was not even mentioned as a possible bidder.

Nextel’s spectrum coup comes as its dogged campaign to obtain additional
frequencies through a plan to remedy 800 MHz
public-safety interference appears to be losing ground and faces increased
hostility from competing mobile-phone carriers.

A hearing is set for July 8, at which time U.S. Judge Arthur Gonzalez, who
presides over the WorldCom bankruptcy, will
consider final approval to name Nextel as the high bidder for WorldCom’s wireless
assets. Parties must file objections with the
court by Thursday.

The transfer of WorldCom’s fixed wireless licenses to Nextel is subject to
approval by the Federal Communications
Commission.

BellSouth Corp., which in May offered $65 million for WorldCom’s fixed wireless
properties, will be paid a $1.43 million
break-up fee.

“Nextel has made it its practice to seek addition spectrum at affordable prices
with a mind to provide additional flexibility [on
frequencies],” said Audrey Schaeffer, a Nextel spokeswoman.

In addition to the fixed-wireless licenses, which comprise about 200 megahertz and
can be deployed for mobile
communications under spectrum flexibility rules, Schaeffer said Nextel is
acquiring 19 antenna sites and various tower leases.

WorldCom and Nextel are not strangers. Before succumbing to an $11 billion
accounting scandal that has brought the Jackson,
Miss., long-distance giant to its knees and put its lucrative government contracts
in jeopardy, WorldCom in 1999 considered
purchasing Nextel because it—unlike other top telecom carriers—lacked a major
wireless play. WorldCom, however,
ultimately decided not to buy Nextel.

“Nextel has always been one of the savviest buyers of disparate spectrum,” said
Jim Wiesenberg, managing director of
Carmichael & Co. L.L.C., a merchant banking firm with offices in New York and
Phoenix.

Nextel became a national wireless powerhouse by combining slices of spectrum
bought from dispatch radio operators around
the country and building digital networks that enable the carrier to provide a mix
of cellular, walkie-talkie and data messaging
services.

Now other cellular operators, like No. 1 Verizon Wireless, are scrambling to add a
push-to-speak feature to their wireless
networks.

“WCA welcomes Nextel into the industry and its efforts to unlock the value of
spectrum going forward,” said Andrew Kreig,
president of the Wireless Communications Association International.

WCA, which represents fixed wireless firms, is lobbying to get the FCC to
reconfigure 2 GHz frequency bands—originally
allocated for wireless video service—to enable high-speed, broadband wireless
Internet connections.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14130

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:05:16 -0000

Guess who was the last user of this spectrum and towers???????

Here are some hints-

* NXTL made a $144 million bid

* BellSouth Corp., which in May offered $65 million

* BellSouth Corp. will be paid a $1.43 million break-up fee. 

* 200 megahertz of  mobile  spectrum 

* Nextel is acquiring 19 antenna sites and various tower leases. * 
NXTL made a $144 million bid

* BellSouth Corp., which in May offered $65 million

* BellSouth Corp. will be paid a $1.43 million break-up fee. 

* 200 megahertz of  mobile  spectrum 

* Nextel is acquiring 19 antenna sites and various tower leases. 

====================================================================================================================================================================> 
> bankrupt WorldCom Inc.'s wireless assets with a $144 million bid, 
more than