Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Shamokin Twp. Supervisors Consider Paying Nextel For Free 911 Service-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:24:23 -0400

Shamokin Twp. Supervisors Consider Paying Nextel For Free 911 Service-

By Kimberly Long , Staff Writer
07/10/200

[email-masked]

STONINGTON — Supervisors will not undertake zoning in Shamokin Township, but they
said they will discuss the issue again when it is brought up by residents. After
discussing the possibility of instituting zoning, supervisors decided Wednesday
they would not pursue the issue further unless citizens pushed for it. Supervisors
planned on placing a questionnaire on November’s ballot regarding zoning, but
Solicitor Robert Muolo said such a question could not be added.

“There really is not a way to get it on the November ballot,” he said. Supervisor
Tom Carl said he pursued the issue after receiving telephone calls from residents
who were concerned about an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) park being located in Irish
Valley. Carl said he has no burning desire to enforce zoning.  Chairman Irv Reigle
said he attended a presentation years ago where he was told about zoning. Without
zoning, projects such as commercial hog farms could be undertaken without a
problem, he said.

Muolo said not having zoning could create more headaches in the future, but added
that most people only show interest when they have a specific problem. Carl said
if there are residents who are interested in zoning, they should form a committee
to conduct research on the matter so they can convince supervisors that it is
needed.

In other business, the supervisors, on a split vote, hired Proline of Hazleton to
paint lines on the roadways at the intersection of State Routes 487 and 61. Each
year, the township is required by Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
(PennDOT) to paint these lines. Carl said Proline will provide traffic control and
paint the lines for $2,600. The paint is guaranteed for three years. Carl said two
other townships in a local council of governments had work done by Proline. One
municipality is going on its fourth successful year with the company’s product,
while, in the other, the paint lasted three years.

Reigle said it would be much cheaper for the township to paint the lines itself.
Carl said the paint from last year is gone and if salaries and supplies were
figured into the cost, the difference is not that great. Muolo said if the
township does not have the lines painted, PennDOT could cut liquid fuels funding
to the township. He said there is also a liability for the township if someone can
prove they were injured in an automobile accident because he could not see the
road markings.

Carl made a motion to hire Proline, with Supervisor Jack Epler seconding the
motion. Reigle said he was not in favor of spending $2,600 for a three-year job.
Epler said the supervisors owe it to township residents to spend some money for
their safety.  The supervisors are considering purchasing cellular phones for the
township’s road crew. They discussed purchasing Nextel phones because of the
“walkie talkie” feature. Reigle said he spoke to someone in Bloomsburg about
purchasing phones to only call 911 in the event of an emergency. Phones would cost
$99 each, and the township would pay $10 for every 45 days of service. By
purchasing three phones, Reigle said the township would only spend about $250 a
year for service.
Kerry Yordy, enforcement officer, said he investigated a sewage runoff concern
from the state Department of Environmental Protection about a church. Yordy said
the Irish Valley United Methodist Church is roughly 1,000 yards from the creek,
but an investigation showed there is no sewage from there going into the creek.

Yordy said he also went to Clark’s Grove United Methodist Church and found new
pipes leading from the building to the creek. However, the pipes were only
carrying rain runoff, he said. Secretary Stephanie McKinney said the House of
Representatives Citizen’s Emergency Personal Protection Guide is available at the
municipal building if any residents are interested in obtaining a copy. The
supervisors reminded residents that bridge repair work began Wednesday on Irish
Valley Road, and there is a detour in effect while the work is conducted.

 http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9544318&BRD=2311&PAG=461&dept_id=482260&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/