Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell phone could warn of gas leaks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:08:36 -0400

Cell phone could warn of gas leaks

A mobile phone able to warn against fire, leakage of methane or other types of
toxic gas is the subject of a patent application that Marian Gavrila, a Romanian
settled in Canada, submitted to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
According to Gavrila, the phone includes a battery with sensors that provides
periodical information about quick temperature changes, the presence of smoke,
methane and carbon monoxide, which are compared by an internal device with
pre-established normal values.

The alarm-telephone will not be much more expensive than a common one, as a sensor
costs about 5-10 dollars and only the phone's software will be changed, Gavrila
explains.
In the future, the mobile phones might also include biosensors, which will warn
about the presence of bacteria, viruses, toxins, micro-organisms, radiations,
nuclear particles and explosive powder, says Gavrila. Such a project should also
take into account the high price of the biosensors of about 300 dollars. The
biosensors are currently in the test phase.

Posted to the site on 25-Jul-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9359.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/