Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Virginia promotes homeland research

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:33:00 -0400

Virginia promotes homeland research
BY Dibya Sarkar
July 7, 2003

The Virginia Institute for Defense and Homeland Security launched a summit June 25
showcasing cutting-edge technology projects in development as a way to drive
research dollars to the commonwealth's universities. This was the first in what
many government, academic and business leaders are hoping will become an annual
event.

Addressing a well-attended meeting at the Ronald Reagan Building and International
Trade Center in Washington, D.C., Gov. Mark Warner, who officially formed the
university and research industry institute in early February, said he had
"extraordinarily high hopes" for it. "This is one of the most important
initiatives of this administration," he said.

The Secure Virginia Initiative Panel recommended creation of such a group last
fall. Soon after, the Virginia Research and Technology Advisory Commission, a
29-member panel created by Warner to advise him on research and technology
strategies, began developing plans for the institute.

"This is a three-legged stool we're working on," said state Technology Secretary
George Newstrom, referring to the
collaboration between the academic, business and government sectors. He, Secretary
of Education Belle Wheelan, Secretary of Commerce and Trade Michael Schewel, and
Assistant to the Governor for Commonwealth Preparedness John Hager guided the
development of the institute. The institute is a consortium of 14 member
universities, including the University of Virginia, the College of William and
Mary, and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

Warner said IDHS' efforts would ground the state in three areas: focused research,
collaboration among institutions of higher learning and advancing the state's
long-term economic strategies. He said there's a critical need to commercialize
homeland security research and development.

"We need to move the efforts from the lab into commercial applications as well as
community applications," Warner said.
Joe May, a member of the Virginia House of Delegates and head of its Science and
Technology Committee, said that to his knowledge, most states have tried some
version of such an institute, but never in such a unified manner as Virginia. He
said collaboration between the public, private and academic sectors up until this
point has been "virtually zero." It could also become a national model for other
states and the federal government, he added.

Researchers provided 20-minute overviews of their projects in such categories as
smart chips for detecting biochemical agents, intrusion-detection systems,
preparing biosecurity workers and first responders for a food-based terrorist
attack, and cognitive software-defined radios. Many are being funded by various
federal agencies, including the Defense Department.
For example, James Leathrum Jr., an associate professor of electrical and computer
engineering at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va., is working on a seaport
simulation project that studies the impact of a chemical or biological attack to
find weak points and then develop recovery strategies.

Warner said Virginia universities currently receive about $600 million in research
and development funds. He wants to increase that by $100 million by the end of his
administration and increase funding by up to $1 billion total in another seven to
eight years.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0707/pol-idhs-07-07-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges & refill kits at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5702
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YrYXfA/AyWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/