Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E911 Bill Coming Soon

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:49:34 -0400

E911 Bill Coming Soon
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JULY 2, 2003

WASHINGTON -- Companion legislation to Senate legislation on E911 could come
from the House side as soon as next week, according to a source in the
Congressional Wireless Caucus.

Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill., is currently working to hammer out a bill in the House
of Representatives that would closely follow the Senate bill introduced in
mid-June
by Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., according to a
spokesman for the Wireless Caucus.

The Burns/Clinton effort seeks to both fund states in installing wireless
facilities
while penalizing them by withholding funds if the state government diverts
wireless E911 funds to other purposes.

The effort on the House side is looking into how to handle how the funds would be
distributed to the states-whether through the Department of Homeland Defense or
through the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, as well
as how the bill will address how smaller, rural wireless carriers would be
handled,
according to the spokesman.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=07/02/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/