Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Airports opt for iris, facial ID technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:22:41 -0400

Airports opt for iris, facial ID technology
BY Jennifer Jones
June 23, 2003

Although fingerprint biometrics are the clear front-runner in the government's
race to secure the nation's borders, a quick scan of airports here and abroad
offers ready evidence that applications based on iris scanning and facial
recognition are also thriving.

 For instance, Charlotte/Douglas International Airport in North
Carolina is using a sizable iris-scanning application to secure the facilities of
the nation's 20th largest airport in terms of passengers.

About 4,500 transportation workers and airport employees are now enrolled in the
system, which was installed at minimal cost by EyeTicket Corp., a company eager to
prove the merits of iris scanning.

"It is just a little box that you look in," said airport director Jerry Orr. "It
is not intrusive, and almost immediately you are identified and your access is
captured."

About 1,500 employees per day perform this exercise at the airport's four
checkpoints, which are outfitted with EyeTicket's EyePass system.

"There is a broad range of people in the system. We have all categories of
employees, from vendors to contractors to airline employees" and Transportation
Security Administration employees, said Stewart Mann, EyeTicket's chief executive
officer. EyePass affords users the choice of storing data in central repositories
or as part of staff IDs. The company claims that in Charlotte, more than 400,000
transactions have taken place without any false matches or security breaches.

Meanwhile, Germany's Berlin International Airports, the authority for Schoenefeld,
Tegel and Tempelhof airports, chose Viisage Inc.'s facial recognition technology
over fingerprint imaging and iris scanning, mostly because decision- makers
considered it a small leap for employees to go from carrying IDs with photos to
having their faces scanned.

"The process of facial recognition in its 'manual' form is already known to
everybody, because of the everyday presentation of the staff card, which includes
the photograph, so [the] usual work routine is not disturbed," said Rolf
Castro-Vasquez, the airports' managing director of traffic.

Indeed, facial-recognition vendors promote user acceptance rates and often point
to the law enforcement stigma associated with fingerprints. "Facial recognition
has real value in that it is not intrusive, and having an image of their face
taken is something that people are very comfortable doing," said Bernard Bailey,
Viisage's president and chief executive officer.

The Berlin airports originally hired German facial-recognition company ZN Vision
Technologies AG, which Viisage is in the process of acquiring. ZN Vision developed
the Berlin system using its ZN-Face product, which uses graph-matching methodology
to mimic the way humans  process images of faces. ZN-Face examines 1,700 facial
features and is designed to recognize individuals regardless of variable
conditions such as environment or facial expression.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0623/cov-side4-06-23-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/