Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel / School Districts

From: "Cathy Sutter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:54:13 -0700

Interesting article regarding Nextel and the Oakland School District.  

I encountered a similar situation with one of the school districts on my trunking system.  Gossip on the street was Nextel planted their own direct sales associates to blanket all school districts across the country giving free phones if a contract was signed.  Number of phones was no object therefore anyone even remotely tied to a school district received a free phone.  

I understand that that type of marketing worked well for many years in the old cellular days but still can't figure out how Nextel was pulling it off when districts were purchasing off a GSA contract.  

  Once the school districts discover the outrageous bills....the lucky recipients of the free phones are now required by their school district to enter into their own private contract with Nextel.   Can Nextel then do a  "double whammy subscriber" count ?  Is that  "new" subscriber count then shared with Wall St ?

Has anyone in the group seen the Nextel Nationwide GSA Contract?  Does it say a free phone is given and can a GSA contract be modified ?  

Cathy Sutter
Pro-Tec Mobile Communications Inc.
1641 North Pinal Ave
Casa Grande, AZ 85222
520-836-2025

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:25:03 -0400

Nextel has a whole sales team focused on "Educational Institutions" in reston. As
it was explained to me the problem is when Nextel changes its rates, plans or
federal charges. The people at Amdocs fail to properly segment the existing
"Special Deals" from the rest.
They get thrown into the pot with everyone else. And POOF  their bill is all S#$%^
up.

I don't know about free phones but it fits their MO.

GSA contracts??? Ha!  Free phones???

Nextel sales reps will sell off a PO# who's PO??? Who knows I posted a story about
that some time ago. The rep was out of control. At the end the school took a hit
the Rep got the cash and Nextel probably took a write off.

Subscriber counts?  I have heard 2 different methodologies by two different Wall
Street guys on this list.

Come on Cathy.......You know......

                            "How Business Gets Done"

Cathy Sutter wrote:

> Interesting article regarding Nextel and the Oakland School District. I
> encountered a similar situation with one of the school districts on my trunking
> system.  Gossip on the street was Nextel planted their own direct sales
> associates to blanket all school districts across the country giving free phones
> if a contract was signed.  Number of phones was no object therefore anyone even
> remotely tied to a school district received a free phone. I understand that that
> type of marketing worked well for many years in the old cellular days but still
> can't figure out how Nextel was pulling it off when districts were purchasing
> off a GSA contract.   Once the school districts discover the outrageous
> bills....the lucky recipients of the free phones are now required by their
> school district to enter into their own private contract with Nextel.   Can
> Nextel then do a  "double whammy subscriber" count ?  Is that  "new" subscriber
> count then shared with Wall St ? Has anyone in the group seen the Nextel
> Nationwide GSA Contract?  Does it say a free phone is given and can a GSA
> contract be modified ? Cathy SutterPro-Tec Mobile Communications Inc.1641 North
> Pinal AveCasa Grande, AZ 85222520-836-2025
>
>
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        ADVERTISEMENT
                         [Click Here!]

>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/