Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Surrey Police to Become the First Force to Use the New MTH650

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:07:03 -0400

Surrey Police Chooses Motorola’s Newest TETRA Two-Way Radio
Surrey Police to Become the First Force to Use the New MTH650

BASINGSTOKE, England - 16 July 2003 - Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT), Commercial
Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) announces that Surrey Police is
the first force to confirm their order for Motorola’s latest TETRA (TErrestrial
Trunked RAdio) two-way radio, the MTH650, as part of Surrey Police’s migration to
the Airwave TETRA radio network in the UK.

The announcement is made just two months after Motorola privately unveiled the
MTH650 to customers at the BAPCO (British Association of Public Safety
Communications Officers) trade show.

The MTH650 radio was developed after 9 months of extensive consultation with UK
police forces. This consultative process with customers, which included direct
feedback from operational officers, has resulted in state-of-the- art
functionality relevant to police officers.

Designed with the Input of Users

Using existing terminals as benchmarks for performance and features, officers from
a number of forces have been involved in a series of discussions and evaluations
that identified areas for performance and design improvements. The MTH650 is a
“jointly developed” terminal as a result of close collaboration with users. One
feature to be derived from this is the combined talk-group and volume control. It
neatly integrates control of the two most frequently adjusted radio features and
simplifies radio operation for the user. Other features of the MTH650 enhance
performance, ease of use, officer safety and information security.

The MTH650, Chosen by Users

Surrey’s decision to choose the MTH650 was based on extensive user evaluation by
15 percent of their officers.  Whilst the performance of the terminal is vital,
the look and feel of the radio is equally important, and officers commented
favourably on a number of aspects of the terminal. Direct quotes from the
evaluation forms said that the terminal was “modern looking” and “it felt like a
very strong unit and was more comfortable to hold.” Other users commented on its
ease of use saying it had a “comfortable feel to the buttons” and was “small and
easy to use.”

Gordon Little of the Surrey Police Federation was pleased at the comprehensive
scale of the evaluation and the involvement of so many Federated officers. He
commented: “It is gratifying that the Force has decided to place the order for the
terminals in line with the findings of our officers.”

Gary Maughan, Motorola CGISS business director for public safety terminals added;
“The MTH650 demonstrates Motorola’s commitment to the UK police market. Combining
our knowledge of the Airwave system with operational needs has produced a radio
that officers can use with total confidence. I am delighted that the MTH650 will
continue our 20-year tradition as a radio supplier to the Surrey Police.”

About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in wireless, automotive and broadband
communications. Sales in 2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a global corporate
citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and pioneering important
innovations that make things smarter and life better, honoured traditions that
began when the company was founded 75 years ago this year. For more information,
please visit www.motorola.com .
About Motorola Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector
Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a
leading global provider of integrated radio communications and information
solutions, with 65 years of experience in meeting the mission-critical
requirements of public safety, public service, government and enterprise
customers. The sector offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet growing
public safety and security needs worldwide, including: interoperable two-way radio
communications solutions; command and control solutions; identification and
tracking solutions, information management for criminal justice and civil needs;
and physical security and monitoring solutions. In 2002, CGISS received the
Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for manufacturing, the nation’s premier
award for performance excellence and quality achievement. For more information,
please visit: www.motorola.com/cgiss .
About TETRA
TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA) is an open digital trunked radio standard
defined by the European Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to
meet the needs of the most demanding professional mobile radio users.
For more information, please visit:

Motorola TETRA: http://www.motorola.com/tetra
TETRA MoU: http://www.tetramou.com
Motorola Internet Media Centre: www.motorola.com/mediacenter
Photography is available at http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,3031_2485_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy No Snore & Get a Good Night's Sleep. Natural Oral Spray -- $24.95
(1 bottle, 1 month supply, with sweet almond oil, eucalyptus oil & more).
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2881&lp=h515.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2oMABA/nuYGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/