Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE certifies eight 802.11g products

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:12:02 -0400

IEEE certifies eight 802.11g products
By Sam Omatseye
July 08 13:01:00, 2003

The Wi-Fi Alliance said eight 802.11g products from six companies have received
certification from the Institute for
Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

The companies include Atheros Inc., Broadcom Corp., Intersil Corp., Melco Inc.,
Proxim Corp. and Texas Instruments Inc.
Both Intersil and Atheros said they have received certification for the trio of a,
b and g.

“Many companies and market segments have been waiting until products based on the
final IEEE 802.11g standard
amendment were certified for interoperability by the Wi-Fi Alliance,” said Frank
Hanzlik, managing director of the Alliance.
“The day has come.”

The products, which include four access points and four PC cards, were tested for
interoperability.

Atheros’ product is an adapter, Broadcom has a reference design, and Intersil
presented a PCMCIA adapter model as
well as an access point developer’s kit model. Melco received a nod for its
notebook adapter while Proxim got approval
for its access point. TI received approval for reference designs for both its
wireless LAN Cardbus and access point.

“Now that 802.11g is an official IEEE standard and the Wi-Fi Alliance has begun
its certification for guaranteed
interoperability, wireless customers can confidently adopt 802.11g products,” said
Joseph Byrne, principal analyst at
Gartner. “This is especially important for businesses deploying wireless equipment
from various manufacturers, since
products certified for 802.11g are guaranteed to be interoperable with all other
Wi-Fi-certified 802.11b equipment.”

G enhances the speed for b and will help operators with data deployment.

“As 802.11g replaces 802.11b as the mainstream wireless LAN standard, the Wi-Fi
seal of approval is the final vote of
confidence for customers considering g equipment,” said Jeff Thurmond, vice
president and general manager of
Broadcom’s home and wireless networking business.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14202

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health - $23.95
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MmkSQC/NTVGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/