Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UTC, NTIA, and FCC Act to Monitor Potential Spectrum Interference

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:02:02 -0400

UTC, NTIA, and FCC Act to Monitor Potential Spectrum Interference

July 21, 2003

WASHINGTON

The United Telecom Council (UTC) signed a new Memorandum of Understanding
(MOU) last week with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to help
manage shared use of the 10 - 490 kHz band.

The MOU updates UTC's authority to establish a Power Line Carrier
Notification Activity which includes maintaining a transmission Power Line
Carrier Data Base (PLCDB) and an Authorized User Data Base (AUDB), which
will help manage the shared use of low frequencies used by both federal
government entities and utility power line carrier operations. Many
utilities use frequencies between 10 and 490 kHz around their power lines to
monitor the safety of their infrastructure. The PLCDB will contain
information for the identification and notification of potential
interference between Power Line Carrier facilities and U.S. Government
Authorized User facilities.

"UTC has been carrying on this function for well over a decade," said Jill
Lyon, Vice President and General Counsel for UTC. "However, we recently have
completly upgraded the data base; the revised MOU reflects new standards."

Utilities are required to submit information about the frequencies they use
to UTC, who maintains the information in the PLCDB. UTC notifies the federal
government about changes to utility frequencies and periodically reviews the
information against data from the federal government about federal use for
possible interference between federal and non-federal entities.

"UTC's Power Line Carrier Notification Activity is not well-known, but it
reflects our commitment to spectrum management and good working
relationships with the FCC and NTIA," said Bill Moroney, President and CEO
of UTC. "As national spectrum policy evolves, we look forward to other,
similar opportunities to promote efficient spectrum use among federal and
non-federal users."

Founded in 1948, UTC represents the telecommunications interests of electric
and gas utilities, water companies, gas pipelines and other critical
infrastructure entities, along with their technology partners. UTC is a
global federation of direct business members and affiliated trade
associations representing over 10,000 organizations serving all corners of
the world and virtually every community in North America. More information
is available at http://www.utc.org

http://www.utc.org/?cbr_v=dcb&nt=true&cbr_eid=17432&p=admin&ct=contentbrowser

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Toner for Your Printer or Fax at LaserTonerSuperstore.com-Save 55%!
We have your brand: HP, IBM, Canon, Xerox, Apple and many more for less!
http://www.LaserTonerSuperstore.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YmQqWC/qicGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/