Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lost? In danger? Alert by Satellite

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:32:35 -0400

Lost? In danger? Alert by Satellite
July 02, 2003

Personal locater beacons, a potential lifesaving technology, became
available Tuesday to millions of Americans. The beacon system became
operational in the 48 contiguous states, allowing lost hikers, campers and
others to be tracked in an emergency if they carry the devices.
The locater beacons have been available for years for mariners and aviators
and are widely used in Alaska.

People now will be able to obtain the beacons at outdoor sports and
electronic retail outlets across the country at prices of $300 to $500. If
lost or in some other danger they can activate the beacon to send a signal
by satellite that allows rescuers to find them.

Owners of the beacons are required by law to register them with the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (http://www.noaa.gov/) The
registration includes information such as the owner's name, address,
telephone number and the beacon's identification number. Once received, a
signal is checked against a registration database that contains information
about the person in distress.

Each beacon emits a signal that can be tracked by a worldwide satellite
search and rescue system when activated in an emergency. The signal is
picked up by satellites operated by NOAA.

"Personal Locator Beacons save lives," said NOAA Administrator Conrad C.
Lautenbacher. "Their availability presents a significant public safety
benefit for the millions of people in the United States who explore the
nation's wilderness every year."

The new beacons have advanced features including global positioning system
technology, which make it easier and quicker for NOAA satellites to pick up
distress signals and relay accurate locations to rescuers.

In the United States, alerts are routed to the Air Force Rescue Coordination
Center at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia. The center notifies the state
rescue agency, or state police in the area where the beacon had been
activated.

Worldwide, the beacons have led rescuers to more than 15,000 people since
1982.

http://wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/21845.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/