Subject: [mobile-ip] Using Mobile IPv6 over PPP links

From: Krishna Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:38:12 -0700

Hi,

Is there any work ongoing to support mobile ipv6 over PPP links ? I am
trying
to do this but am having problems during movement. When I move from the
HN to FN (disconnect the MN's serial cable from one network and reconnect
to another network), the device vanishes and I lose the home address. So
when I reconnect it to the FN, I get a new device and new foreign address,
but
since I don't have the home address any longer, movement fails.

I don't know if any discussions have taken place about supporting mobility
over PPP. Please let me know if anyone has any insight into this, or if
there is
any work related to this (in IETF or elsewhere).

Thanks,

- KK

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:18:26 +0300

> any work related to this (in IETF or elsewhere).

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Your implementation should be
able to remember its home address even across connectivity changes
in its interfaces. When you reconnect your PPP you get a new care-of
address, and then you do an end-to-end exchange with your home agent
to register your care-of address as the current location for the
home address.

--Jari

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:50:22 -0700

> > any work related to this (in IETF or elsewhere).

dont assign the home address to the ppp0 interface.
assigning the home address to a virtual interface 
would be a good idea.

Vijay