Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bump Hi-Five Wi-Hi Give Me X Evolutionary-Data Optimized aka 1XEV-DO

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:22:12 -0400

Now things are going to get interesting. Once more 1XEV-DO networks come up users
are going to realize they have been effectively "Tethered" to a short leash with
Wi-Fi. They are going to bundle up, opting for wide area data services offered by
their wireless carrier.  People are tired of  running around town looking for a
Star bucks to log on to short range non protected Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi will become the
"In-house" or "Corp." solution to those who must spend 8 hrs a day within the
confines of one location.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
New service extends wireless Net
BY Michael Hardy
July 22, 2003

Federal government employees and other mobile workers will soon be able to log
onto the Internet from virtually anywhere, thanks to a new offering that Verizon
Wireless and Qualcomm Inc.  will introduce this fall.

The Internet service will use technology similar to mobile phone infrastructure to
create a coverage area. Users within the coverage area can turn on a laptop
computer, mobile phone or other device and be connected immediately to the
Internet.

The companies are blanketing their first two markets, Washington, D.C., and San
Diego, with base stations needed for connection, said Jonas Neihardt, vice
president of federal government affairs for Qualcomm. "This whole area is going to
become a [wireless] 'hot spot' 60 miles wide," he said.

"High-speed connectivity should be something a user doesn't have to think about,
like making a phone call," said Jeffrey Belk, senior vice president of marketing
at Qualcomm.

Verizon and Qualcomm consider the federal government a likely prime buyer for the
product. If agencies are convinced the technology is secure, they will snap it up,
said Warren Suss, president of Suss Consulting in Jenkintown, Pa.

"Not only will it be attractive to the mobile worker, it will address some of the
work-from-home issues," Suss said. "If it really provides the functionality and
the security that agencies need, I think it will take off like a rocket."

But one federal employee said it might take time to convince government buyers.
Reluctance to take risks sometimes hinders agency employees, said the policy
official said. "It's frustrating for us on the policy side to see all these
innovative technologies and not have them available," he said.

Verizon has not set pricing or picked a name for the service. It is based on Code
Division Multiple Access (CDMA), a digital wireless technology developed by
Qualcomm that has been growing in use during the past several years. The Internet
technology is called 1X Evolutionary-Data Optimized, or 1XEV-DO, an early
manifestation of the much-hyped 3G, or third-generation wireless technologies.

Qualcomm and Verizon have started demonstrations and tests of the technology in
real-world applications, including a demonstration late last week for agency and
congressional staff members. In such settings, the service moves data at 200 to
800 kilobits/sec, comparable at the upper end to some landline broadband Internet
services.
By the time the wireless service starts in the fall -- the companies have not set
an exact date --Washington, D.C., and the near suburbs will be covered, company
officials said. Eventually, the District and the area extending several miles past
the Beltway in all directions will have access, Verizon officials said.

Wireless Internet users often worry that hackers can "sniff," or eavesdrop on
their data transmissions. The new service will use technologies such as
private-key encryption to protect data as it is transmitted, said Fran Filippelli,
a senior systems engineer for Verizon.

"CDMA is one of the most secure wireless technologies available to the public," he
said. "It would take quite an individual to sniff it."

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0721/web-wireless-07-22-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/