Subject: [NEXTEL-1] States to test emergency info sharing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:36:54 -0400

States to test emergency info sharing
BY Randall Edwards
July 22, 2003

The Transportation Department is testing a pair of systems to improve electronic
communication among public safety and state transportation agencies.
Working with state governments in Utah and Washington, Transportation will carry
out two-year tests of Intelligent Transportation Systems for emergency services.
Government officials hope shared information and linked communications for police,
fire fighters and transportation agencies will speed up the dispatch of emergency
response vehicles, clear vehicle crashes faster and make accident scenes safer.

In Salt Lake City, the $1.25 million project -- federal funding provides 80
percent of that -- will link transportation management systems of the Utah
Transportation Department and computer-aided dispatch systems of the state's
Department of Public Safety.
The program will use automated vehicle location and digital mapping functions to
identify incidents.

Although the state departments have been working together for years, the federal
grant lets them expand their abilities and share the results with the rest of the
country, said John Njord, executive director of the Utah transportation agency.

A smaller federal grant to Washington -- 64 percent of a $462,194 program -- will
help pay for its effort to tie the Washington State Patrol's dispatch system into
the state transportation department's Internet-based system for sharing
information on accidents, weather conditions, traffic and other road situations.

Officials expect to complete the Utah and Washington projects in 2005.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0721/web-dot-07-22-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/