Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [justnetnews] July 3, 2003 - NLECTC News Summary

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:49:06 -0400

NLECTC Law Enforcement & Corrections Technology News Summary
Thursday, July 3, 2003

***************************HEADLINES************************

"Pentagon Project Could Keep Close Eye on Cities" 

"Cops' Use of Tasers is Scrutinized" 

"Pepper Spray Use Lowers Brutality, Injuries" 

"Computer Scientists' System Speeds Up Law Enforcement
Practices" 

"Computer Vision Links How Brain Recognizes Faces, Moods" 

"Ferries to Upgrade Security" 

"A Push From Homeland Security" 

"A Stunning Use of Force" 

"Cops Advance With Prints" 

"X-Ray Strips Away Security Worries" 

"Cops Armed With Mobile, Video Technology" 

"Floyd Co. Officers Practice Response to School Shootings" 

"VirTra Systems Announces Advanced Weapons-Tracking System" 

"By Fusing Images, Lehigh Professor Detects Concealed
Weapons" 

"Thermal-Imaging Tool to Aid Police" 

"Study Urges Upgrade of Dispatch Center" 

"Canada's Prison Guards Say High-Tech Drug Detection
Scanners at Some of the Country's Toughest Prisons are
Rarely Used" 

"Techno Cops Needed to Catch Cyber Criminals--Blunkett" 

"Re-Charged" 

"Fireworks Can Trip Airport Security" 

"New Law Requires Customer Notification of Data Theft" 

***************************ARTICLES*************************

"Pentagon Project Could Keep Close Eye on Cities" 
Philadelphia Inquirer (07/02/03) P. A2; Sniffen, Michael J. 

The Pentagon's Combat Zones That See (CTS) project aims to
safeguard U.S. troops and enhance battle tactics through a
combination of computers and surveillance cameras set up to
monitor and study each vehicle moving throughout foreign
urban areas. Scientists, law enforcement officers, and
privacy advocates note that the technology could also be
used to watch the movements of American citizens.
"Government would have a reasonably good idea of where
everyone is most of the time," warns GlobalSecurity.org
defense analyst John Pike. At the heart of the system is a
software program that can automatically identify vehicles
based on their size, shape, color, and license tag, and can
also recognize drivers and passengers by face; in addition,
the software can transmit alerts if a monitored vehicle's
tag is on a watch list, and sift through copious records to
locate and compare vehicles seen near the sites of terrorist
incidents. Jan Walker of the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency (DARPA) insists that CTS technology was not
designed with local law enforcement or homeland security in
mind, and employing it for any other purpose would require
sweeping alterations. Nevertheless, Steven Aftergood of the
Federation of American Scientists remarks, "One can easily
foresee pressure to adopt a similar approach to crime-ridden
areas of American cities or to the Super Bowl or any site
where crowds gather." New York deputy police commissioner
James Fyfe adds that police will be eager to adopt such
technologies. DARPA is planning to spend up to $12 million
to deploy CTS technology over four years: Phase one will
involve the installation of about 30 computer-connected
cameras in a fixed site to enhance troop protection; phase
two will set up at least 100 cameras to support military
operations, and incorporate software that analyzes video
footage to distinguish between routine and abnormal
activity.
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/nation/6214289.htm 

"Cops' Use of Tasers is Scrutinized" 
Miami Herald (06/29/03) P. 4; McNeal, Natalie P. 

Law enforcement officials in Miramar, Fla., are facing
increasing pressure to review the use of Tasers on suspects;
the scrutiny follows the use of a Taser on a 15-year-old
girl after a disruption on a school bus, which she claims
she was not a part of. Incidents such as this have caused
organizations such as Amnesty International to speak out in
favor of a more strict procedure for reviewing the use of
Tasers. Tasers deliver 50,000 volts of electricity that
briefly subdue a would-be attacker or suspect, and police
are authorized to use Tasers to stop a fleeing suspect,
arrest a suspect who is resisting, prevent unlawful force,
or avoid an attack by an animal. After use of a Taser, the
Miramar Police Department requires a submittal of a
"response to resistance" memo, which outlines why the Taser
was used. Human rights groups are pressing for in-depth
reviews of Taser use, such as those employed by the
Hollywood Police Department. The HPD requires that command
staff review the case, and the internal affairs department
also conducts an investigation and even has the authority to
call witnesses. The attorney for the 15-year-old girl argues
that the unnecessary use of Tasers, as in the case of his
client, hinders positive relationships between minorities
and law enforcement officials. After answering to the
criminal charges against her, the Taser victim is intending
to sue the police department for the alleged misconduct.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/6188804.htm

"Pepper Spray Use Lowers Brutality, Injuries" 
Salt Lake Tribune (06/29/03) P. C7; Broughton, Ashley 

Research conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice's
National Institute of Justice, released earlier this year,
indicates that pepper spray helps curb police brutality,
reduce injuries and complaints, and is an effective method
to subdue combative suspects. In addition, the study
determined that pepper spray is an unlikely contributor in
suspect deaths. Utah law enforcement officers receive
training in pepper spray use as part of the Police Corps
program, said Scott Stephenson, deputy director of the Utah
Police Corps. "They see that [spray] can, and a lot of other
times, it de-escalates the situation," he notes. "People
know about it. Half the time you pull it out, you don't have
to use it." However, the spray can affect people
differently. Suspects under the influence of drugs are
sometimes unaffected by the spray's burn. Suspects can also
continue fighting a minute or two before the spray's full
effects are felt. Nevertheless, police departments have
begun issuing taser guns, which are slightly more effective
than pepper spray, since the effect is felt immediately and
does not last as long as the pepper spray.
http://www.sltrib.com/2003/jun/06292003/utah/70923.asp 

"Computer Scientists' System Speeds Up Law Enforcement
Practices" 
Dateline Alabama (06/27/03); King, Lauren 

The Southwest Alabama Integrated Criminal Justice System
provides funding for the Law Enforcement Tactical System
(LETS), which researchers at the University of Alabama began
developing a year ago. The system allows law enforcement
personnel to search Internet databases for suspect
information, including any warrants or orders of protection,
by inputting suspect or vehicle data. Officers can use LETS
to verify a person's identify by accessing driver's license
photographs and records stored in online databases from
their vehicles. The system saves officers time by letting
them conduct database searches directly without contacting a
dispatcher, and voice command versions are planned for the
future. University of Alabama professor David Brown, who
participated in the project, said the university's
engineering and computer science students are involved in
the project but restricted from accessing the databases.
Researchers plan to introduce an updated version of LETS in
July and will expand the system's capability at a rate of
one database per month. The Alabama Office of Law
Enforcement Systems Integration and Standards, the
Department of Public Safety, and the Administrative Office
of Courts are also participating in the project.
http://www.datelinealabama.com/article/2003/06/27/4528_news_art.php3 

"Computer Vision Links How Brain Recognizes Faces, Moods" 
Newswise (07/01/03) 

Ohio State University researcher Aleix Martinez has
developed a computer model that could form the basis for
systems that identify authorized users facially via video
camera. The computer model is in turn based on a model
Martinez worked out on how the human brain can recognize
faces and emotional states: He determined that the brain
combines its knowledge of motion and shape to identify faces
and moods. Martinez took photos of a large group of
volunteers expressing four different emotional states; each
person was photographed multiple times under variable
lighting conditions and with accessories (sunglasses and the
like). Two groups of volunteers then viewed the photos--the
first group was tasked with discerning whether the photos
they were looking at depicted the same person with different
emotional expressions, while the second group was tested to
see if they could correctly identify moods. The results of
these tests--how fast the volunteers were able to correctly
ascertain faces and emotions--were compared to the computer
model, and Martinez discovered that there were close
correlations. Both the people and the computer model were
able to recognize faces and facial expressions that involved
little muscle movement faster, while faces and expressions
that involved a lot of movement took longer to identify.
Martinez and his associates plan to harness the test results
to design a machine with a computer vision system that can
recognize people without referring to a large image
database. "Ideally, we want a computer that can recognize
someone, even though there is only one picture of that
person on file, and it was taken at a different angle, in
different lighting, or they were wearing sunglasses,"
Martinez explains.
http://www.newswise.com/articles/2003/7/COMPVISN.OSU.html 

"Ferries to Upgrade Security" 
Edmonds Herald (WA) Online (06/30/03); Balta, Victor 

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) successfully pressured the Bush
administration to approve spending measures to help the
state equip its ferry facilities with security devices. The
$9 million package, part of an overall $22 million in port
security allocated to the state, will cover additional
security measures at five of the state's busiest ferry
terminals and on 18 boats. The Edmonds and Seattle ferry
terminals are on the list of possible recipients for
security upgrades, which would include audible alarms,
security cameras, and better lighting. Ferry officials are
also hoping to receive the new safety guidelines for
passenger ferries so that they can incorporate new security
measures with current passenger practices. Passengers have
said that increased security is a welcome development,
although a few have expressed concern over invasions of
privacy with the prolific use of surveillance cameras.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Coast Guard is expected to release new
regulations for passenger ferry security this week
http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/03/6/30/17125855.cfm 

"A Push From Homeland Security" 
New York Times (06/30/03) P. C3; Lohr, Steve 

Silicon Valley executives were heartened at a June 25
conference in Washington, D.C., by indications that the U.S.
government would call upon the private sector to furnish
software and hardware for cybersecurity and anti-terrorism
surveillance, data collection, and analysis. "We will take
the best and brightest ideas in the private sector and apply
them to homeland security," announced Paul Kurtz of the
White House Homeland Security Council. Technologies that
industry executives promoted for homeland security included
artificial intelligence, data-sifting software, iris
recognition, and digital-video surveillance equipment.
However, conference attendees expressed concern that both
the government and industry could lose sight of the need to
uphold personal privacy. George Washington University's
Lance J. Hoffman warned that the homeland security
initiative could channel all funding and research into
computer security, while the maintenance of personal privacy
would receive little attention. He suggested that the Human
Genome Research project, which includes an annual federal
allocation for a program focusing on the ethical and social
ramifications of genetic research, should be used as a
template if privacy and security are to be balanced. Former
deputy secretary of defense and current president of the
Center for Strategic and International Studies John J. Hamre
told conference attendees that technology alone would not be
able handle all security threats, and recommended that the
protocols for sharing information on the approximately
40,000 individuals on terrorist "watch lists" should be
clarified among federal agencies before federal, state, and
local computer systems are integrated.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/30/technology/30NECO.html 

"A Stunning Use of Force" 
Arizona Daily Sun (06/27/03); Hendricks, Larry 

Officers in the Flagstaff, Ariz., Police Department have
turned to several "less lethal" weapons for subduing violent
suspects who otherwise might require the use of deadly
force. The department uses the M26 Air Taser stun gun, the
SL-6, and the bean bag shotgun. Cpl. Matt Wright recently
used his M26 Taser to incapacitate a man who was wielding a
knife and a small ax, saying he wanted to kill himself.
Priced from $600 to $800, the M26 Taser features a laser to
help pinpoint the target and two electrodes that can be
discharged to 21 feet. When the electrodes become implanted
in the skin, they send a jolt of 26 watts (50,000 volts)
into the body. Wright was able to subdue the suspect even
though an electrode was partly implanted in a plastic card
rather than in the suspect's skin. According to Sgt. Mike
Terrin, Flagstaff police officers are required to assess
their actions based on a "continuum of force." This entails
rapidly shifting from more severe or less severe force
according to the circumstances at hand within split seconds,
says Sgt. Casey Simpson, who adds that officers on the field
have to rely on guidelines as well as the training they
received.
http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=68508 

"Cops Advance With Prints" 
Madison Capital Times (WI) (06/27/03) P. 12C; Elbow, Steven 

Police officers in Madison, Wis., have a new tool to help
ease the fingerprint backlog at the state Crime Lab, the
Automated Fingerprint Identification System. The new
computer system has two parts: A handheld device that allows
quick identification and records a suspect's fingerprint
electronically, and a system that gives investigators the
ability to check latent fingerprints that were left on cups,
walls, or other objects. While the program does not provide
a definitive match, its produces possible suspects that
might have otherwise gone unnoticed. The Madison Police
Department was able to finance the $80,000 system with a
federal grant, notes Police Chief Richard Williams. The new
program will allow officers to reduce office waiting time,
and help solve local crimes that are lower on the state's
priority list by giving the officers access to roughly 1
million sets of fingerprints. Michael Roberts of the
Department of Justice Division of Law Enforcement Services
reports that at least 25 U.S. states have deployed similar
systems.
http://www.madison.com/captimes/news/stories/51793.php 

"X-Ray Strips Away Security Worries" 
Australian IT (06/27/03) 

The body scanners currently in use at U.S. airports are
incapable of detecting plastic-based explosives or other
weapons made of plastic. To rectify this hole in the
screening process, the Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) is considering the use of "backscatter"
X-ray machines that can detect metals or plastics. These
machines, which are priced between $100,000 and $200,000
apiece, are somewhat controversial because they also produce
a revealing image of the human body. Susan Hallowell,
director of the TSA's security laboratory, recently
demonstrated a backscatter machine for the press. The
machine easily revealed the gun and bomb Hallowell had
strapped on under her clothing, but it also penetrated her
clothing to reveal a naked image of her body. Privacy
experts say that most of the general public will refuse to
have their bodies scanned in this manner. The TSA apparently
agrees, as it is attempting to find a technological solution
that will obscure the image of a person's body while still
allowing for the discovery of contraband. Several airports
are expected to conduct pilot programs of the technology
later this year.
http://australianit.news.com.au/common/print/0,7208,6658570%255E15306%255E%255Enbv,00.html

"Cops Armed With Mobile, Video Technology" 
Investor's Business Daily (06/26/03) P. A5; Tsuruoka, Doug 

Digital video and wireless technologies are helping police
change law enforcement, and many companies are developing
new police technology for the big new market. Digital Web
cams and data network-tapping devices can be used for tasks
such as checking license plates and screening suspects, and
they can fit in patrol cars. Technology is cheaper and
easier to use, and homeland security efforts by local and
federal government have gotten local police forces more
digital technology for DNA analysis, communications, and
criminal records. The Yakima, Wash., police force now has
digital video cameras in their cruisers that activate when
the pursuit lights go on, and they have wireless microphones
on their belts; images are stored on a removable hard drive
in the cruiser, and are uploaded into a storage unit at the
end of each shift, to be recalled if necessary on a PC. IBM,
which provided the technology, says that seven other police
units are testing the technology. Qualcomm supplied the
Super Bowl security with wireless phones that could handle
classified communications. Saginaw County, Mich., police
created their own system to issue "e-traffic" tickets,
thanks to a law-enforcement grant. Departments are also
working on sharing data from different networks.
http://www.investors.com 

"Floyd Co. Officers Practice Response to School Shootings" 
Louisville Courier Journal (KY) (06/26/03) P. 1B; Adams,
Harold J. 

Police officers in Floyd County, Ind., recently participated
in a training initiative to make them better able to handle
school shootings. They practiced the diamond formation, for
example, at the Prosser School of Technology in Floyd
County. The one-day session dubbed "Patrol Response to
Active Shooters in Schools and Public Buildings" was led by
Floyd County Lt. Frank Loop and trainer Scott Sams.
According to Sams, officers currently deal with school
shootings in a different manner compared to the 1999
Columbine High School shooting. Then, officers were
instructed to wait for the SWAT unit even if the shooting
inside the school was ongoing. But officers today are
expected to act immediately to "stop the suspect's deadly
behavior," says Loop. For example, if an armed suspect is
approaching the officers without a hostage, the officers
would refer to their training on the use of deadly force.
Officers should wait for a SWAT unit only if the suspect is
"contained and isolated," says Sams.
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2003/06/26in/met-front-cops0626-7514.html

"VirTra Systems Announces Advanced Weapons-Tracking System" 
PRNewswire (06/26/03) 

VirTra Systems, Inc. has announced an exclusive advanced
motion tracking system adapted to track weapons movement for
virtual reality, developed with a world leader in advanced
tracking solutions. This advanced tracking system will be
utilized in the company's previously announced IVR line of
virtual reality training systems. Developed jointly with
Qualisys Medical AB, the new tracking system allows trainees
to use untethered, "real" weapons, firing blanks, in
photorealistic judgmental use-of-force training scenarios
customized for military and law enforcement agencies to meet
their unique policies and procedures. The system utilizes
Qualisys' sensor and infrared technology to accurately
pinpoint, within 500 microns, the trainees' targets, and
allows the instructor to precisely evaluate the trainees'
shooting accuracy within the scenario. Recent demonstrations
of the new tracking system have been extremely positive.
"Unlike other systems that measure lasers on a 2D
flat-screen, this system monitors both trainees' head and
gun positions to extremely high accuracy in 360-degrees and
three-dimensions," stated Bob Ferris, VirTra Systems'
president. "The ability to record and replay the trainees'
exact session opens the door for both evaluation and
instructional possibilities for all judgmental use-of-force
applications.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-26-2003/0001972567&EDATE=

"By Fusing Images, Lehigh Professor Detects Concealed
Weapons" 
ScienceDaily (06/25/03) 

Lehigh University professor Rick Blum leads a group of
electrical and computer engineering graduate students in
developing image fusion technology that enables security or
military personnel to identify hidden weapons. Image fusion
combines a picture taken from an optical camera and a
millimeter-wave (MMW) camera to determine the presence of a
concealed weapon. MMW technology is able to provide an image
of weapons concealed underneath clothing, but provides no
image of the person. The research team has created superior
algorithms for image fusion based on the wavelet transform
domain, which provides a clear picture when fusing the two
images compared to conventional techniques. However, the
cost is prohibitive for most law enforcement applications
and Blum has made little progress in developing a cheaper
version using infrared sensors instead of MMW cameras. Blum
is interested in developing a wireless version of the
system, but requires more funding. The National Science
Foundation, the State of Pennsylvania, AT&T, the U.S. Army
Research Office, the Office of Naval Research, and the Air
Force Office of Scientific Research provided funding for the
research project.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030625090113.htm 

"Thermal-Imaging Tool to Aid Police" 
Dallas Morning News (06/25/03) P. 1Q; Bensman, Todd 

Thermal-imaging technology, which was used heavily by allied
forces during the war in Iraq, is now being used for an
increasingly broad number of applications across the United
States and in other parts of the world, especially among law
enforcement agencies. For instance, authorities in Florida
used the technology to locate survivors of an airplane
crash. And authorities in Hong Kong are using the technology
to detect people who are infected with the SARS virus. The
Flower Mound, Texas, police force is placing the technology
atop one of its squad cars to help officers see at night.
Officials hope that the technology-enhanced squad car will
enable police to identify burglars and other criminals,
teens violating curfew, and even stray pets. "This can be
our eyes at night," says Flower Mound Capt. Byron Lake. The
device being used in Flower Mound, which is produced by
Raytheon, is controlled by a joystick inside the squad car,
meaning that the device can swivel and scan entire areas
outside the car. The technology is so sensitive that it can
identify the glow of warm handprints on a wall or footprints
on the ground. http://www.dallasnews.com 

"Study Urges Upgrade of Dispatch Center" 
Wausau Daily Herald (Wisconsin) (06/24/03) P. 3A; Bock,
Jessica 

A recent study by a consultant at RW Management advises
Lincoln County, Wis., to spend roughly $1 million over the
next four years to upgrade its emergency-response equipment
and to provide more training for emergency dispatchers. The
four-month $30,000 study found that the county's emergency
dispatch center is lacking in several areas, including
technology, management, and organizational structure. The
report also discovered that dispatchers in the
communications center were providing callers with legal
advice and other unqualified opinions. Lincoln County
Sheriff Tom Koth expressed hope that the problems with
dispatchers could be resolved by relieving the Sheriff's
Department of the responsibility of supervising the
dispatchers. And that is an idea that county officials are
taking seriously. Currently, officials are talking about
transferring the supervising duties to the county's
Emergency Management Office. The study contends that
turnover among dispatchers could be mitigated by forcing job
applicants to take a general knowledge exam before being
hired and by giving them an exit questionnaire. The study
also advises the county to purchase a mapping program for
emergency calls. http://www.wausaudailyherald.com 

"Canada's Prison Guards Say High-Tech Drug Detection
Scanners at Some of the Country's Toughest Prisons are
Rarely Used" 
Canadian Press (06/23/03) 

Even though drugs have been considered a major problem in
Canadian prisons, correctional officers say budget concerns
are preventing the use the high-tech drug detection scanners
at some of the nation's toughest facilities. The officers'
union adds that this proves that Ottawa is not taking the
problem seriously. However, Corrections Department official
Michele Pilon-Santilli says the correctional officers have
the responsibility of keeping the prison safe and secure.
She also stated the correctional officers should be taking
their concerns to management.
http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/06/22/117488-cp.html 

"Techno Cops Needed to Catch Cyber Criminals--Blunkett" 
Register (UK) (06/05/03); Leyden, John 

U.K. Home Secretary David Blunkett says that police must
make use of cutting-edge technology to stay ahead of
criminals and stem serious and organized crime. He says that
the three main challenges for law enforcement agencies
include identifying emerging threats and new opportunities,
exploiting existing technology, and being prepared for new
developments in criminal behavior and terrorist activity.
"Developments in biotechnology, nanotechnology, and the
widespread use of computers all pose law enforcement threats
and opportunities," Blunkett explains. "The DNA and
fingerprint databases have become vital weapons in law
enforcement, making our communities safer by helping to put
thousands of repeat criminals behind bars." He mentions
improvements in "less-lethal" technologies and body armor,
and the use of technology to reduce bureaucracy for police
forces. Home Office statistics indicate that 38 percent of
crimes are detected where DNA has been entered into the
database, compared to 24 percent of all crimes.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/31422.html 

"Re-Charged" 
Police (06/03) Vol. 27, No. 6, P. 16; Griffith, David 

The new X26 stun gun from Taser International, priced at
$799, features a number of improvements over the older M26
Taser. Instead of relying on eight standard AA batteries for
power, the new Taser is outfitted with a lithium battery
available only from the company. The new laser gun is 60
percent smaller in size and weight compared to the previous
model, and also boasts a 5 percent increase in electro
muscular disruption (EMD), which causes muscle contractions.
The biggest change is the use of new technology to reduce
the voltage requirement from 26 watts to 5 watts. So-called
"shaped pulse" technology "opens the door [the barrier of
clothing and skin] and keeps it open for each free flow of
electrons," says Steve Tuttle, Taser's director of
government and law enforcement affairs. In addition, the
back of the stun gun features a display panel that indicates
how much battery power remains, how long a charge is being
applied to a subject, and how long the subject will be
debilitated. The X26's microchip also keeps track of its
warranty, showing how much time is left. Other improvements
include a holster, a more gun-like trigger, and an optional
cartridge receptacle that attaches to the handle, elongating
the grip. http://www.policemag.com/t_cipick.cfm?rank=88643 

"Fireworks Can Trip Airport Security" 
Associated Press (05/02/03) 

Some bomb-detecting airport security machines are sensitive
enough to detect trace amounts of fertilizer or other
potential explosives on baggage, skin, and clothing. With
the Fourth of July holiday approaching, federal officials
are advising Americans to be aware that trace amounts of
explosives from fireworks on their clothing, baggage, or
skin could set off alarms at airport security gates. Many
trace-explosive detection systems use hand-held wands to
knock loose particles from surface areas; these particles
are then scanned by countertop systems to see if they are
trace elements of explosives. Some of the systems are so
sensitive that they have detected fertilizer on golfers'
shoes and clubs, gunpowder residue on police officers who
have come from the firing range, and residue on heart
patients who take nitroglycerin tablets.
http://www.iht.com/articles/101422.html 

"New Law Requires Customer Notification of Data Theft" 
SiliconValley.com (05/01/03); Bazeley, Michael 

A new California law is now in effect requiring any company,
nonprofit organization, or government agency that even
suspects its network has been hacked to immediately inform
California-based customers that their personal data may have
been compromised. Adding weight to the law, which could
become a model for national policy, are several high-profile
network intrusions and Justice Department estimates that
identity thieves claim up to 700,000 victims a year.
Security experts report that many firms are struggling to
quickly fortify their security measures in order to avoid
lawsuits or damage to their reputations, while many other
companies are ignorant of the California law's existence.
The law extends to any companies that do business in
California, even if they are based elsewhere in the country,
and only firms that encrypt their customers' information are
exempt. Complying with the law will require businesses to
not only improve their hacker security, but beef up their
traffic-monitoring systems as well. "This might actually be
good by forcing companies to take the action they should be
taking," declares Hewlett-Packard chief security strategist
Ira Winkler. Consumer and privacy rights proponents laud the
legislation, arguing that it will enable consumers to
respond faster to threats of identity theft, while those who
do not know what to do in such situations will be able to
learn via public awareness programs. However, some companies
are concerned that publicizing electronic break-ins could
tarnish their image and shake customer confidence. Eugene
Spafford of Purdue University's Center for Education and
Research in Information Assurance and Security says that
some companies may collect less personal customer data in an
effort to lower their liability in case their networks are
breached.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/local/6209059.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/