Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Denies Powell Is Leaving.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:34:59 -0400

The FCC Denies Powell Is leaving.

Looks like another case of "Don't Belive The Hype"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FCC Denies Report That Chairman Powell To Resign In Fall

07/21/2003

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Communications Commission is
denying a report by Time magazine that Chairman Michael Powell
wants to leave this fall.

"The story is without foundation," said FCC spokesman David Fiske.
Powell "is planning a busy agenda for the fall," which includes a key
decision regarding the regulatory treatment of broadband services.

The Wall Street Journal on Friday reported that Powell denies rumors
that he will soon leave the commission.

The Time magazine report cited industry sources saying that Powell has
"told confidants he'd like to leave by fall and three of his four top staff
members are putting out job feelers." Fiske also strongly denied that
any of Powell's aides are leaving, with the exception of his mass-media
aide, Susan Eid, who recently left the commission.

But Eid had been planning to leave for some time, and Powell
persuaded her to stay until the FCC completed a proceeding
deregulating media ownership rules on June 2. That proceeding has
provoked considerable backlash in Congress and the public. An FCC
official close to Powell said the chairman has been weathering the
political storm surrounding the FCC's changes and hasn't been
demoralized by the backlash. While Powell isn't necessarily expected
to remain until his term ends in 2007 - or even beyond the 2004
election, the chairman has no immediate plans to leave, the official said.

Powell has been on the commission since 1997.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/