Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola starts trials of GSM based Push-to-talk handsets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:26:23 -0400

Motorola starts trials of GSM based Push-to-talk handsets

Motorola has signed an agreement with Jordan's Fastlink to be the first in the
Europe, Middle East and Africa
(EMEA) region to pilot Motorola's GPRS based Push-To-Talk (PTT) solution.
Point-to-point PTT calls to individuals
and PTT group calls have been demonstrated successfully at Fastlink's facility in
Amman.

"Motorola's heritage in Push-To-Talk systems provides a strong foundation for
adding PTT to cellular technologies,"
said Margaret Rice-Jones, corporate vice president and general manager for
Motorola GTSS EMEA. "PTT can attract
customers and enhance revenues on an operator's existing GPRS network. It is one
of many new features in our
portfolio of end-to-end solutions."

Motorola has GPRS PTT trials and demonstrations with other wireless network
operators in EMEA scheduled
throughout the remainder of this year. Commercial launch of Motorola's GPRS PTT
solution is targeted for 2004.

"The ability to provide our customers with innovative new services like
Push-To-Talk is vital to ensure we retain our
market-leading position in Jordan," said Mohammad Saqer, CEO of Fastlink. "Mobile
usage in Jordan is predicted to
more than double in the next three years. PTT service will help our customers to
stay connected, informed and
efficient in this fast developing market."

Motorola's PTT solution works with both GPRS and CDMA 2000 1X networks. The
conversation exchange is
managed by half-duplex sessions that allow only one party to talk at one time.

Motorola's PTT server solution is based on the common platform for Motorola's IP
Multi Media Sub-System (IMS)
solution and supports the IP protocols that are part of Third Generation
Partnership Project (3GPP). The open
architecture of Motorola's GPRS PTT solution enables operators to use any
standards based GSM/GPRS
infrastructure equipment, and any mobile terminal equipped with Motorola's PTT
client.

Posted to the site on 28-Jul-03
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9370.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Toner for Your Printer or Fax at LaserTonerSuperstore.com-Save 55%!
We have your brand: HP, IBM, Canon, Xerox, Apple and many more for less!
http://www.LaserTonerSuperstore.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YmQqWC/qicGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:01:07 -0000

> and PTT group calls have been demonstrated successfully at 

Shouldn't PTT on gsm/gprs be a breeze compared to CDMA?

Its really just a change/speedup of the signaling protocol?

Why not go full-duplex?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->