Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. Senate Rejects Additional Interoperability Funding.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:22:37 -0400

Updated: 07-23-2003 10:43:58 AM
U.S. Senate Rejects Additional Interoperability Funding.
Move to Add More Federal Responder Funding Defeated

The U.S. Senate rejected an amendment to the Homeland Security Appropriations bill
that would have provided an additional $729.5 million for the fire service.
The amendment, which was introduced by Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV), was defeated
50-43 Tuesday evening. The amendment would have needed a 60 percent (super)
majority to pass the Senate.

Byrd's staff could not immediately be reached for comment.
His legislation would have added a total of $1.75 billion to the $28.5 billion
under Senate consideration in the Fiscal Year 2004 Homeland Security
Appropriations bill.
The $729.5 million earmarked for the fire service would have added:

• $150 million to fully fund the FIRE Act at $900 million

• $250 million to high threat and high population density urban areas

• $250 million for Office for Domestic Preparedness formula grants; these are the
grants made to states based upon a population formula.

• $79.5 million for interoperable communications equipment

 http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=12&id=15546