Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Location trials a success

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:24:50 -0400

CPS (Cambridge Positioning Systems) has hailed its successful London trial of
Matrix high accuracy location technology for mobile phones on a major GSM network
as a big step towards commercial deployment. Extensive testing carried out in
recent weeks across London revealed both high accuracy performance and high yield
– the percentage of successful position requests.

The company trialled the technology over a 100 square kilometre area, measuring
accuracy and performance in a wide variety of environments, both indoors and
outdoors. Results, in line with previous testing in Cambridge , showed consistent
high accuracy and 100 per cent yield.
Matrix requires only software-enabled standard GSM handsets and a small number of
servers, enabling rapid deployment. In particular, no additional network equipment
is required. Costs are typically less than a dollar per handset - a fraction of
those associated with other location technologies - offering powerful
opportunities for operators seeking to provide new precision-based location
services.
CPS Chief Executive Chris Wade said: “Successful completion of this extensive
trial is an important stepping stone to further operator network trials in other
parts of the world. The Matrix triple play – high accuracy, high yield and low
cost – is hugely attractive to operators. By bringing operators together with our
technology and innovative high accuracy location applications from the developer
community, we are creating dynamic opportunities for new services and revenue
growth.”
Feedback in response to the results from within the European mobile community has
already been positive, with one leading operator commenting: “This is a powerful
demonstration of Matrix capabilities and presents operators with a compelling
technology solution for high accuracy.”
The London trial marks the final stage of Matrix product development before
commercial availability in summer 2003 for global trial deployment.
Matrix works by building a picture of network activity – drawing location
information from the timings of base station radio signals received by
software-enabled handsets. The Matrix technology uses mathematical algorithms
within a network server to provide precision location to either the handset user
or third parties such as the emergency services.

Posted to the site on 01-Jul-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9185.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/