Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WiFi as Economic Development Tool

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:22:08 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: WiFi as Economic Development Tool

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-07-24-wireless-stlouis_x.htm

St. Louis to offer free wireless Internet network to lure business and 
residents downtown

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The city of St. Louis is setting up what could be the nation's 
largest, free, wireless Internet network in hopes of drawing techno-savvy 
businesses, tourists and residents to the downtown business district.
The city has teamed up with a local company, O2Connect, to offer the service in 
a 42-square-block area.

On Wednesday, a city crew mounted and activated the first of six antennae that 
will transmit an invisible, high-frequency radio signal that can be used to get 
online. The rest should be in place by month's end.

Civic boosters envision video-gamers playing in the parks, local and visiting 
business people checking e-mail in the streets, and Web-surfers lounging at 
sidewalk cafes.

"It's symbolic that we're really up-to-date downtown," said Jim Cloar, 
president and chief executive of the Downtown St. Louis Partnership, a 
nonprofit group that promotes economic development and urban living.

"And it gives us one more sales tool. We're just being more technologically 
proficient, being more customer-friendly and making downtown a better place to 
do business and a better place to visit, either as a conventioneer or just as a 
(tourist)," he said. "You won't have to worry about having the capability to 
stay in touch, either by e-mail or using the Web."

About 4.2 million people in North America are frequent users of such networks, 
and the number is expected to grow to more than 31 million in 2007, the city 
said.

Coffee houses and cafes commonly offer such networks, but they charge customers 
to log on. "It's fairly new technology. But it's been getting a lot of press 
lately, and people are starting to understand. People are getting more and more 
excited about it," said Tim O'Leary, president of O2Connect.

The small, 3-year-old company is donating $25,000 worth of equipment to set up 
the downtown hot spot.

In April, O2Connect built a much smaller, free network in the city's Central 
West End. Usage is increasing and O'Leary expects a similar quick uptake 
downtown.

City officials said the project should help St. Louis build a high-tech 
reputation — and business sector.

"The mayor's expectation is that we will make St. Louis a competitive global 
technology center," said Chris Dornfeld of the city. "It's a great challenge, 
but when you look at the breadth and density of technology in St. Louis, you 
can quickly realize it is achievable."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/