Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E911 Bill Moves Forward

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:09:36 -0400

E911 Bill Moves Forward
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JULY 17, 2003

WASHINGTON -- A bill that seeks to prevent states from diverting funds earmarked
for enhanced wireless 911 services was approved by the Senate Commerce Committee
this afternoon, and now awaits debate from the full Senate, marking a victory for
E911 advocates.

The Senate Commerce Committee approved the bill this morning and kept its primary
provisions intact. The bill originally was sponsored by Sen. Conrad Burns,
R-Mont., and Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., both members of the Senate E911 Caucus.

The bill designates a National Telecommunications and Information Administration
task force to facilitate coordination between federal, state and local
communications systems; designates $500 million per year in grant money for
planning, infrastructure improvement and equipment purchases; sets personnel
hiring and training through 50 percent matching grants to state, local and tribal
governments; calls for a twice yearly review of E911 fees, with states certifying
they're not diverting funds; and requires the FCC to report to Congress any states
diverting funds.

In a statement, Burns called the approval 'a huge win' for emergency service
providers. Clinton echoed the sentiment, calling today ' a great day' for first
responders and the public. Likewise, CTIA praised the bill. 'States have had their
hand in the E911 cookie jar, swiping millions of dollars paid by wireless
consumers. This bill should help get states on a diet of fiscal responsibility and
an exercise program of E911 implementation,' said Steve Berry, CTIA senior vice
president of government

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=07/17/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/