Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Moves Forward With Direct Connect (NOT ON TIME)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:10:10 -0400

Nextel Moves Forward With Direct Connect

BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
JULY 7, 2003

NEWS@2 DIRECT

Nextel Communications Inc.'s Direct Connect Push to Talk service will be available
in all of its markets across the United States this month-a month (NOT) ahead of
schedule as potential competitors press to introduce their own instant chat
services.

Nextel Communications and Nextel Partners said they'll roll out their Nationwide
Direct Connect service to 85 percent of their 12 million customers coast-to-coast
this month, instead of their previously-announced August timeline. The companies
touted the service as the 'first and only nationwide walkie-talkie to reach from
coast-to-coast of the continental United States and Hawaii, with calls connected
in less than one second.'
The announcement comes as wireless giant Verizon Wireless is about to launch a
similar service. Verizon late last month filed suit against Nextel claiming Nextel
illegally obtained a Verizon Wireless prototype PTT phone and began making test
calls on Verizon's as-yet unlaunched PTT network. Verizon hasn't said when it
plans to roll out the service, but analysts say it likely will be very soon and
that Nextel is feeling the pressure of competition in a market it had previously
had all to itself.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=07/07/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/