Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Harris Corporation Receives Final Certification of National Test Bed For FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) Program

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:45:47 -0400

Harris Corporation Receives Final Certification of National Test Bed For FAA
Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) Program

    MELBOURNE, Fla., July 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Harris Corporation
(NYSE: HRS) today announced that it has received final certification of its
FTI National Test Bed located at the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA)
William J. Hughes Technical Center in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  Harris, a
leading systems integrator of air traffic control communications systems and
weather data processing solutions for the FAA, was awarded the FTI program
last July.  FTI will improve telecommunications and operations functions at
more than 5,000 FAA facilities nationwide.

    "This is an important milestone in the FTI program," said John O'Sullivan,
FTI program vice president, Harris Government Communications Systems Division
(GCSD).  "The Test Bed is now fully installed and configured to support
transition to the initial services that will comprise the backbone of the FTI
network."

    The Test Bed will be used by Harris to conduct service integration
verification, ensuring that FTI operational interface and performance
requirements are met.  The FAA also will use the Test Bed to conduct the
operational and integration testing required prior to FTI deployment in the
field.

    Harris, acting as FTI systems integrator and prime contractor, is leading
a team of top telecommunications companies consisting of BellSouth
Corporation, Qwest Communications International, Inc., SBC Communications,
Inc., Sprint, and Verizon Communications.  In addition, Raytheon Technical
Services Company is performing on-site technical services and support for the
FAA's facilities nationwide.

    Under terms of the contract, the Harris FTI team will consolidate the
Leased Interfacility NAS Communications System, Data Multiplexing Network,
Bandwidth Manager, and the National Aviation Data Interchange Network into an
integrated telecommunications infrastructure. The team will replace more than
35,000 circuits, upgrade switching and routing services, improve network
monitoring and control, implement a state-of-the-art security system, and
provide network-engineering services.

    The FAA's William J. Hughes Technical Center provides integrated
engineering and research services for the development and support of a safe,
secure and efficient global aviation system.

    Harris GCSD, one of five divisions within Harris Corporation, conducts
advanced research studies, develops prototypes, and produces and supports
state-of-the-art, assured communications and information systems that solve
the mission-critical communications challenges of its military and government
customers, while serving as the technology base for the company's diverse
commercial businesses.  Harris Corporation, which also provides tactical
radio, broadcast, microwave, and network support products and systems, serves
customers in more than 150 countries.  Additional information about Harris
Corporation is available at http://www.harris.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/