Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Intel's SDR Chip-Intel Develops New Radio-Free Chip

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:43:58 -0400

Intel Develops New Radio-Free Chip

Intel is in the process of developing a chip that would enable laptops to remain
connected to the Internet at all times, and a cell phone that would never lose
signal, no matter where the user is. The platform, known as "Radio Free Intel,"
will use software-defined radio technology to adjust to any transmission standard
in any environment. Intel would like to place the radio on all its chips, which
would ultimately allow thousands of devices to transmit signals to each other.
Intel says that there should not be an additional cost associated with placing the
radio on the chip.

============================================================================

Jul. 7, 2003. 01:00 AM

Intel enters race for
wireless' `Holy Grail'
Goal is devices that talk to a wide range of radio standards
Software may sniff

out frequencies, then adapt to them

ELLEN SHENG
DOW JONES NEWS

NEW YORK—Imagine a laptop that stays connected to the Internet no matter
where you are, or a cellphone that picks up crystal clear reception anywhere
people travel.

Intel Corp. is working on a chip that would allow such connectivity.

Wireless devices today are like computers that can run only one program: they
are hardwired to work in one standard only. Computers use Wi-Fi; cell phones
use CDMA, GSM or any other number of platforms; wireless headsets and
other devices use Bluetooth. Communication among various devices is
complicated and spotty. A single device to incorporate standards would be
bulky and expensive.

To solve this problem, Intel is using a technology called software-defined radio
to develop a platform smart enough to sniff out and adapt to the standards in
any given environment. The company wants to put one such radio on all its
chips, enabling virtually hundreds or thousands of devices to talk to one another.

Intel's idea, dubbed "Radio Free Intel," was put forth by chief technology officer

Patrick Gelsinger more than a year ago at the company's annual developer
forum. A leader among PC chip makers, Intel does not dominate the
communications market, which is more the domain of competing
microprocessor-maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc., Texas Instruments Inc.,
and Motorola Inc.

Intel has plenty of competition in the arena of software-defined radio. Texas
Instruments and Motorola aren't going to give up their toeholds easily and other
companies, such as Sandbridge, defence contractor General Dynamics Corp.,
and Analog Devices Inc., have been pursuing the technology for years.

But as a giant in the industry, Intel's interest in the technology is making a big

splash and will likely spur development.

Considered the Holy Grail of radio technology, software-defined radio is slowly
being deployed in military and commercial use. Widespread consumer use is
seen five to 10 years off.

Software-defined radio started in 1983 with the U.S. invasion of Grenada. At
that time, radios used by the various branches of the armed forces couldn't
communicate with one another. The story goes that a general had to resort to
using a payphone in order to talk to someone at another military unit.

To avoid more incidents like that, the military started looking into radio
technology that could adapt to different frequencies. Telecommunications
companies also became interested in the technology, initially as a way to
improve security. Now more are starting to see it as a platform to make devices
more flexible.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=d83bb37f74688643&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1057529409254&call_pageid=968350072197&col=969048863851

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:29:15 -0400

Now that Intel has entered the game we are going to see some rapid advancements in research, funding and implementation. A few years ago  Motorola's  3002 SDR unit was big bucks.  Now I see them
"on the cheap" and with better software than the 1st one I brought. Intel is going to make it look like an HT-220

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to $400 on all notebooks.
Get the notebook you want with all the features at a price you love. Price after rebates and savings
http://us.click.yahoo.com/gx2HjB/wwSGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->