Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon-vs-Nextel REF: PTT

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:06:51 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Bob Moldashel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Verizon-vs-Nextel REF: PTT

<Sorry for the RANT....But this is a little long>

Wow, this should be interesting.....

Verizon wants to add walkie-talkie service.

Nextel has walkie-talkie service.

Nextel has 100% market share of walkie-talkie service.

Verizon wants to take a hunk of market share.

Nextel's stock would easily drop when this happens.

Verizon starts testing and gets ready to promote "Push-To-Talk" marketing plan.

Nextel files patent request on "Push-to-Talk" and "PTT". (Don't even start me on
this one!)

Verizon claims Nextel used their walkie-talkie system illegally for more than 500
minutes.

There are a limited number of test units purchased by Verizon from Motorola (and
Samsung I believe) for accessing the system.

Verizon claims test units are under their control but system was accessed by
Nextel.

Motorola makes Verizon handsets for PTT.

Motorola makes iDen handsets for Nextel. 

Motorola sold all their 800MHz. spectrum to Nextel. In exchange Nextel uses
Motorola to develop exclusive infrastructure.

(Now stop..I know what you're thinking....Don't jump to conclusions..... They
would never do that!  :-)

Lawyers get involved.

Verizon claims Nextel injured their position and "leaked" info after "testing"
their system to Wall Street to damage their release plans.

Verizon delays PTT release.

Wall Street feels Verizon has system problems and that is reason for bringing up
lawsuit and delaying release.

They're off to court. 

Stay tuned...........

Personally, I hope Verizon gets their system to KICK ASS as Nextel (and Motorola)
killed the 2-way industry in this and many other markets and forced alot of
companies to change to a rediculously overpriced walkie-talkie system and wind up
with alot of obsolete dispatch radio equipment. I know one customer that was stuck
with a $9K + lease on his Motorola trunking equipment when spectrum became
unavailable in his area.

Wall Street claims that the Verizon system has a 5 second call set-up time and a 2
second call latency. I say....THAT's GREAT! 

I can't think how many times during my day I try my Nextel, get the stupid
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound that tells me that my office, which has a base station
with an outdoor antenna and 5 bars of signal, or one of my guys 200' away with 5
bars of signal is NOT AVAILABLE. I either try a few more times until I get in or I
pick up my VERIZON cellphone and call them directly. I love it even more when the
Nextel unit says NO SERVICE on the walkie-talkie side but I can make phone calls!!
Wall Street needs to wake up.

The way I see it....Verizon gets their stuff to work with PTT service. Verizon
needs more spectrum for calls.Verizon deploys newly aquired Northcoast frequency
spectrum. More deployment work for everyone. New competition in the PTT field.
Federal government says competition is good for the consumer. Prices drop to
compete with churn. We all stand a chance to get new work and cheaper PTT service.

Works for me!      :-)

-B-

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health - $23.95
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MmkSQC/NTVGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/