Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Keeping WiFi Private Proves Arduous Task

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:26:18 -0400

Keeping WiFi Private Proves Arduous Task
Source: Newsbytes
Publication date: 2003-07-27
Arrival time: 2003-07-28

Timothy Shey, creative director at Proteus, a Washington-based developer of
Internet programs, usually keeps his wireless Internet network at home unguarded,
so anyone with a wireless-equipped laptop can surf the Web from his connection
without a password. But Shey switches on security measures whenever he is doing
work from home to keep others from digitally looking over his shoulder.

"I don't think anybody is trying to crack my corporate accounts," he said.
"I just do it because it's a good habit to get into." Turning on his network's
security is not an entirely simple process -- it involves a few steps at his
computer and on the equipment that broadcasts the connection.

"It really is a pain to switch back and forth," he said.
Perhaps that is why many people who set up wireless networks do not bother. During
a recent business trip to New York, Shey dropped by a Starbucks Coffee shop that
offers wireless access to the Internet for a fee.  Shey was planning to pay for
his connection with his company's corporate account, but when he turned on his
laptop, it picked up three unprotected wireless networks within range. Given a
choice between paying or not paying, he took the free option for surfing the Web.
Why are there so many open networks? Many users have difficulty wading through the
technical instructions for protecting a network, so they simply choose the easiest
installation possible, one that does not turn on security features.

Computer industry analysts said companies typically do not sell wireless kits with
security measures already enabled because the features tend to work against ease
of use. Adding passwords and scrambling data so communications cannot be read by
snooping hackers can interfere with other computer safeguards, such as firewalls
or the secure virtual private networks used by many companies.

"If it's not easy to use no one's going to buy it," said Stephen Baker, an analyst
at NPD Group Inc. of Port Washington, N.Y. "The primary goal of the hardware guys
is to sell stuff."

Not all networks are left open out of ignorance or laziness. The founders of
Tangerine Unwired, a consultancy in Dupont Circle that develops security software
for wireless networks, set up a free wireless network for laptop users in downtown
Bethesda.
Eric Fidler, a co-founder of Tangerine Unwired, said he did it mainly because it
seemed like a cool idea, but it has also brought in some business.

"Our original intent was just to put it up as a public service, but it has
attracted a fair amount of attention," he said. He is working on putting up a free
wireless network in Dupont Circle.

Reported By TechNews.com, http://www.TechNews.com

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=40483070&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/