Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Samsung Bans Camera Phones in Development Plants

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:34:45 -0400

How are they going to ban them when they make them at the same plants they are
trying to protect?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Bans Camera Phones in Development Plants
Samsung Electronics is continuing the ban of camera phones is its factories,
stating that unless the device has a plastic sticker that covers the lens; the use
of them will be restricted in its most sensitive plants. Included in the camera
phone ban are Samsung’s research and development centers and semiconductor labs.
Samsung fears that other companies could use own camera phones for spying
purposes.
=================================================================================
Friday July 4, 10:12 AM

Samsung Electronics Bans Camera Cellphones at Key Facilities
SEOUL, July 4 Asia Pulse - Amid mounting concern about
leaks of business secrets via mobile phones equipped with
cameras, Samsung Electronics Co. (KSE:05930) has decided
to forbid staff or visitors from carrying them freely into its
semiconductor, LCD and home appliance factories.

"We decided to ban camera mobile phones from
workplaces," a senior Samsung official said Friday. "The
prevailing opinion was that a leak of core technology would
deal a fatal blow to the company, even though some
expressed concern about privacy violations."

Late last month, Samsung security officials from Giheung,
Cheonan and Onyang made the decision to enforce the rule
from July 1. Given the need for a publicity campaign period,
however, they gave a two-week grace period.

Camera mobile phones will not be allowed inside the facilities except in cases of
special permission, when it will be mandatory to place a sticker on top of the
lens. If the sticker is removed before leaving the facility, camera owners will be
considered in violation of security.

Samsung's plant in Gumi, North Gyeongsang Province, will be excluded from the
strict measures because it produces camera mobile phones.

Opponents voiced concern that such a decision would have a negative impact on
sales of camera mobile phones as it came at a time when they are rapidly
increasing worldwide.
"Complaints came from Samsung workers who bought expensive camera mobile phones,"
a Samsung executive officer said. "But we had no choice but to do so to prevent
the leak of core technology."

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/030704/16/3cb42.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/