Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Ahead of Schedule? Yea, Right Read this-" Nationwide Nextel Direct Connect service will be made available by the end of 2002."

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:15:32 -0400

Nextel Ahead of Schedule? Yea, Right Read this-" Nationwide Nextel Direct Connect
service will be made available by the end of 2002."

Nextel Announces Nationwide Direct Connect

RESTON, Va., Aug 6, 2001 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Nextel Communications, Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL) today announced plans to significantly expand the distinctive
Nextel Direct Connect(R) digital two-way radio service. The expanded services
will be phased in - starting in the third quarter of 2001 and culminating in
nationwide Nextel Direct Connect by the end of next year.

"Direct Connect is Nextel's hallmark among millions of business customers, and
it is now being expanded nationwide," said Jim Mooney, Nextel's Chief
Operating Officer. "Changes to our network capabilities and our new handsets
are expanding the depth and the breadth of Nextel's target markets. Nextel is
proud to announce these new initiatives aimed at increasing personal and
professional productivity."

Last month, Nextel introduced new and improved Nextel Direct Connect, which
allows any Nextel subscriber to instantly communicate with any other Nextel
subscriber in the same home calling area.

Home calling areas are large geographic regions, such as Nextel's Texas calling
area which includes the major markets and interstate highways connecting
Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Nextel
has already initiated this new and improved Nextel Direct Connect service in
New York, Florida, Atlanta, Ohio, Detroit, Baltimore/Washington, Texas, and
Philadelphia. All U.S. markets will have access to this service by the end of the
third quarter, 2001.

Next year, Nextel will introduce the ability for Nextel customers to travel
outside their home calling areas and still remain in constant contact through
the Nextel Direct Connect feature. Nationwide Nextel Direct Connect service
will be made available by the end of 2002.

"Nextel is a world leader in packet based voice networks with approximately 9
million handsets operating on the iDEN network today," said Barry West,
Nextel's Chief Technology Officer. "There's nothing like Direct Connect in the
marketplace today, nor do we anticipate a better instant communications
service to emerge any time soon. Working with Motorola, we have created the
next communications platform and we are poised to continue our leadership in
instant voice communications."

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=NXTL&script=460&layout=7&item_id=198041

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/