Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Closing the (Interoperability) Communications Gap

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:50:16 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Closing the (Interoperability) Communications Gap

Mr. Flanigan's analysis seems to imply that communications interoperability can 
be achieved by following a "roadmap" to 700 MHz and P25. I don't know the 
author, but find the assertion to be dangerously simplistic when many folks are 
looking for "Holy Grails" and "Silver Bullets" to cure this problem.

While most of us who haunt this group know it isn't quite so simple, there are 
others who figure that if we just used one frequency band and one modulation 
scheme, our troubles would be solved.  Surely electronic homogeneity would be 
helpful, but it's neither a necessary, nor sufficient condition.

Until we're able to define interoperability functionally, rather than 
technologically, we're courting chimera. There are plenty of agencies on VHF FM 
who can't talk to each other today.

Define the functional requirements, first.  If electronic homogeneity is a cost-
effective component of getting from here to there, then sobeit. 700 MHz P25 is 
just one option.  

Communications interoperability requirements are a much greater and more 
complex matter than just technical specifications.

  Dan Hawkins

Quoting:
> Subject: Opinion: Closing the (Interoperability) Communications Gap
> 
> Closing the communication gap
> 
> By Matthew J. Flanigan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Natural Vitamins for Good Prostate & Male Health. $28.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2865&lp=prosta2.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/qJIe0D/89VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/