Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pen Phone Breakdown

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 01:34:48 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/July2003/5590.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Pen
Phone Breakdown

7th
July 2003

ASIA
: Chinese handset makers possess growing capabilities to compete, both
in the Chinese domestic market, and in export markets elsewhere in the
world, according to results of a study of cellular phones released today
by Portelligent, Inc. The product design, IC content, and feature sets
of recent GSM handsets introduced in China demonstrate that Chinese
handset makers - sometimes working closely with firms in Korea and Taiwan
- are increasingly able to bring to market cellular phones that compare
favorably with the offerings of major international competitors.

"Having done
detailed 'product teardown' analyses of over 100 cell phones from around
the world in the last three years, we were favorably impressed by the
design of these Chinese products, and by the capabilities of the handset
makers behind them," according to David Carey, president of Portelligent.
"While still a step behind the major multinationals, Chinese handset
makers are rolling out competent products with very competitive manufacturing
costs. The rate of progress demonstrated by the Chinese producers and
their potential threat to the current pecking order in worldwide handset
market share should not be underestimated, particularly for the lower
to upper-middle tiers of the market."

Portelligent's study
report, Dragons at the Gates: A Survey and Analysis of GSM Handsets
in the Chinese Market (2003), provides analytical detail on 17 handsets
marketed in China by 11 domestic Chinese firms: Amoisonic, Ningbo Bird,
Capitel, Eastcom, Haier, Kejian, Konka, Legend, Panda, Soutec, and TCL.
These companies, which constitute the first tier of some 25 Chinese
handset makers that together hold over a 25-percent share in China,
compete with a dozen large multinational cell phone manufacturers in
the Chinese market.

The Portelligent
study recorded such system metrics as IC and electronic component counts,
total IC die area, and estimated semiconductor cost for each of the
target handsets. ICs were identified as to such parameters as maker,
part number, die function, and die and package measurements, permitting
analysis of which semiconductor makers and electronic component suppliers
are securing the most design wins in China. Among the findings of the
study:

While Chinese handset
makers all use ICs and components from North American and European device
makers in their phones, they often "mix and match" devices
in their designs, rather than using an entire chipset from one supplier.

On most system metrics, the 2G and 2.5G phones currently offered by
Chinese handset makers are comparable to those produced by the major
multinationals.

Fit and finish of the Chinese handsets are good. Product design is also
impressive. In at least one case - the Haier P5 Pen Phone, which combines
a GSM phone and a laser pointer in a stick-like form factor - a Chinese
maker has come forward with a novel design concept.

Market data strongly suggests that the Chinese handset market is entering
a "hyper-competitive" phase that will increase pressures on
both domestic makers and the multinationals.

Free
3G Phones

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Pen
Phone Breakdown

Chinese
handset makers possess growing capabilities to compete, both in the Chinese
domestic market, and in export markets elsewhere in the world,

Enhanced
GPS Mobile Chipset

NEC
announced that it has developed a new signal processing device and an
RF/IF down converter IC to enhance Global Positioning System

T-Mobile
Lines Up Video News

T-Mobile
is making MMS News, its multimedia information service portfolio, even
more attractive: Video News makes it possible for T-Mobile subscribers
to receive the latest news from politics, sport or entertainment in colour
video sequences

DDR
MCP Memory For 3G Phones

The
MCP solution eases the design challenges for 3G handset makers of delivering
high-resolution video and gaming features in a small form factor and low
power consumption.

New
3G Handset For Hutchison 3G

Distinctive
compact-style handset with a large screen ideal for viewing pictures and
video, and a 'Qwerty' keypad for easy messaging.

Hutchison
3G Publicity Stunt

3,
the new video mobile service, is working with Liberty X to find 10 talented
people from around the country to get to take part in the new Liberty
X video

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.