Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ARINC Is Not Worried About Sharing PTT

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:57:50 -0400

It Started 70 Years Ago—ARINC Prepares Scouts for Amateur Radio "Field Day"

June 25, 2003

Annapolis, Maryland, USA—Want to talk to people around the world and join in the
fun? That’s exactly what the young men from Boy Scout Venture Crew 828 of
Timonium, MD will be doing this Saturday, June 28 starting at 1 p.m. and around
the clock until 1 p.m. Sunday afternoon at Thomas Point Park in Annapolis.

It’s Amateur Radio Field Day—the most popular event each year for the world’s ham
radio operators. Last year, the airwaves crackled as 34,000 hams worldwide made
1.4 million radio contacts. This year, Troop 828 and other "hams" around the world
will try to break that record while they acquaint the public with the capabilities
of amateur radio.

Field Day is a worldwide contest, and the troop receives a point for every call
they complete and log, hoping for a big score in the U.S. national contest. You’re
invited to come by—bring your family, friends, or just wander over by yourself.
The purpose of Field Day has been the same for nearly 70 years: to demonstrate the
ability of the amateur radio community to communicate in simulated emergencies
(think earthquake, hurricane, flood) and to develop skills needed for emergency
preparedness.

Support for the effort at Thomas Point Park comes from many members of the amateur
radio community in the Annapolis area, including four ARINC employees, Neil
Bloomberg, Bruce Becker, Rob Renoud, and Richard Gunzelman, the Scout Advisor of
Troop 828. The ARINC Radio Club traditionally operates its radio station, W3ZH,
for 24 hours at Thomas Point Park on Field Day and has worked with Troop 828 since
2002.

The Scouts of Troop 828 put their radio theory into practice, demonstrating
communications abilities belying their age. These amateurs know they could be
called on in a true emergency, something hundreds of radio amateurs face
unexpectedly every year. Learning to set up and operate under less than optimal
conditions is part of the preparation for their radio theory badges. This troop is
ready for the challenge.

The learning curve for an amateur license includes both communications rules and
etiquette. A big part of the adjustment is radio phonetics. Amateurs must know the
list of call-letter signs used for identification on the airwaves. If you hear
“Alpha,” substitute “A”—and now try to figure out the others. A book of radio
cartoons helps with memorization. If you ask nicely, several of the youngest
members can even tell you the letter “Y” becomes Yankee. Can we say that in the
home of Cal Ripken?

Boy Scout Venture Crew 828 of Timonium uses call sign KE3BSA. You don't need to be
a licensed Amateur radio operator to participate—you just need a willingness to
have fun. For more information, contact Neil Bloomberg, W3NTP, [email-masked], or
phone 410-266-4376. The ARINC Amateur Radio Club was launched 30 years ago, and
participates in Field Day as a way to share its passion for amateur radio.

ARINC Incorporated is the world leader in transportation communications and
systems engineering. The company develops and operates communications and
information processing systems and provides systems engineering and integration
solutions to five key industries: airports, aviation, defense, government, and
surface transportation. Founded to provide reliable and efficient radio
communications for the airlines, ARINC is headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland,
and operates key regional offices in London and Singapore, with over 3,000
employees worldwide. ARINC is ISO 9001 certified.

Contact:
Stephen E. Means
Vice President, Marketing & Sales
[email-masked]
410-266-4652

http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/