Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ericsson Receives Push-to-talk Patent for "Virtual CB" on cellular networks.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:43:10 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Ericsson Receives Push-to-talk Patent for "Virtual CB" on cellular
networks.

Verizon. Ericsson may sue you all. 
Investors may start jumping out windows when they hear about this.

You just gotta LOVE this description of cellular push-to-talk. This us a
REAL patent!

Does this mean Dirct Connect (tm) should be called "Cellular CB" or just
"CCB"?

============================================

United States Patent  6,477,366  
Valentine ,   et al.  November 5, 2002  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
System and method for virtual citizen's band radio in a cellular network 

Abstract
A telecommunications system and method is disclosed for creating
"virtual Citizen's Band (CB) radio channel groups" within a cellular
network. In a first embodiment, the virtual channel groups are built
within the Mobile Switching Center (MSC). Each mobile subscriber
participant is associated with the other mobile subscriber participants
in the MSC, using a transaction identifier and conference bridges. Each
group can be monitored, and each individual participants communication
link can be controlled independently to facilitate individual
disconnection. In a second embodiment, the virtual channel groups are
built directly over the air. Participating mobile subscribers within
range of each other can communicate directly with one another, using the
same forward and reverse traffic channels. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventors:  Valentine; Eric (Plano, TX); Alperovich; Vladimir (Dallas,
TX); Evanyk; Walt (Plano, TX)  
Assignee:  Ericsson Inc. (Research Triangle Park, NC)

(snip)------------

BACKGROUND OF THE PRESENT INVENTION 

The use of Citizen's Band (CB) radio has become ubiquitous since it
became popularized in the 1970s. While it is most commonly associated
with truckers, its attraction is more widespread because it has become
known as a medium for "communities of interest." Many people have
compared CB to a party line on the air. 

The radio technology for CB radio is basically push-to-talk," with
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations on power output.
However, these FCC power-regulations are often ignored by CB
aficionados. It is a trivial matter to connect power amplifiers to a CB
radio and effectively "jam" others from the channel, although this
practice violates FCC regulations. 
-- (snip)---

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/