Subject: [mobile-ip] Bar BoF announcement for IRTF WG l3m

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:10:32 -0500

Hello,

At the previous NSIIM BoF we also discussed the idea of starting an
IRTF WG dealing with IP mobility (specifically the Mobile IP protocol
variety). The intent is to develop a set of tools that can be used for
measuring the performance of the various types of optimization
proposals for Mobile IP protocols. In addition the WG would develop
simulation models that can be used to better understand the
performance gains of schemes such as Fast HO, Hierarchical mobility
and implications of schemes for optimizing address assignment,
frequency of router advertisements etc. 

We would like to have a Bar BoF at IETF57 to discuss the interest and
details of this work further. The proposal is as follows:
What: IP Mobility work in IRTF Bar BoF
When: Monday at 10 PM
Where: Its a bar Bof :) (TBA)

Further details about the BoF will be sent to the Mobile IP and
Seamoby lists. 

-Chairs

--------------------------------------------

The current charter is as follows:

Name of WG : l3m 

        The "Layer 3 Mobility" (l3m) RG is an open IRTF group.  It studies
        performance and architectural tradeoffs of optimizations and
        evolutionary changes to IP mobility. Even though the focus
        is on layer 3 mobility, knowledge of lower layers may be used
        if appropriate.

        The L3M RG addresses questions of an evolutionary nature.
        In particular, radically new architectures (e.g., based on the
        separation of identity and location) are outside the scope.

        The objective of the group is to enable the formation of a
        research community around the topic of internet Mobility similar
        to the TCP research community. That is, the objective is not only
        to carry out and publish results of analysis and simulations
        of different proposals, but to do so in such a fashion that
        allows a more direct comparison ("apples to apples") than is
        now possible. In order to accomplish this, the L3M group will
        strive to arrive at some common scenarios, parameters, tools
        and methodologies.

	The research group will also examine algorithms for automatic
	configuration of access routers with information of use to
	Mobile Nodes during fast handover.

	The Seamoby Working group is developing an Experimental
	protocol to distribute such information between routers and
	between the router and Mobile Node (Candidate Access Router
	Discovery, CARD),  but the actual algorithms for determining
	whether a particular access point, seen by a Mobile Node and
	reported to the access router, is within range of a handover
	from the router is not in scope. Neither is determining whether
	a particular access point is authorized to provide service and
	therefore a candidate for handover. These topics will be
	material for the research group. The goal of the research is to
	characterize the currently proposed approaches (learning based
	or server based) and any other approaches, and determine under
	which conditions a particular algorithm is a superior solution.
	These results will be returned to the IETF if and when
	standardization of CARD is requested.