Subject: [NEXTEL-1] JPS/Raytheon, RCC Consultants and Sonic Foundry Team up to Showcase Next-Generation of Homeland Security Solutions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:20:21 -0400

JPS/Raytheon, RCC Consultants and Sonic Foundry Team up to Showcase
Next-Generation of Homeland Security Solutions to Florida Law Enforcement
Officials

Business Editors/High-Tech Writers
Topical News: War On Terrorism

MADISON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 26, 2003--

Sonic Foundry's Mediasite Live Selected to Webcast Advanced Emergency Preparedness
Solution That Overcomes Current Obstacles to State's Public Safety and
Communications Issues

Sonic Foundry Inc. (NASDAQ:SOFO), a leading rich media solutions company,
JPS/Raytheon Communications (NYSE:RTN), a wholly owned subsidiary of defense
industry leader Raytheon and its partner, RCC Consultants, Inc., are teaming up to
deliver the latest in state-of-the-art emergency preparedness and communications
technology solutions to Florida Department of Law Enforcement Region IV, Domestic
Security Task Force officials this Friday, June 27.
JPS/Raytheon Communications and RCC Consultants will demonstrate a neutral host,
cost-effective, interoperability solution of dislike radio systems and
frequencies. Sonic Foundry's Mediasite Live(TM) will be used for real-time capture
and streaming of the live demonstration to law enforcement, public works and
public safety officers across the region and in other various parts of the
country. The demonstration will take place Friday, June 27, 2003, at the Port of
Tampa, Administration Building, Boardroom, at 11 a.m. Eastern Time and can be
viewed live at http://mslive.sonicfoundry.com/flhomelandsecuritytaskforce. The
Webcast also will be available for later on-demand viewing at the same link.
The Tampa Bay Region is particularly fitting for the demonstration as it has a
number of unique challenges to overcome, including multiple radio communications
systems, numerous federal, state and local jurisdictions, border issues and a
compact size that makes emergency disaster preparedness and response a necessary
regional requirement with far-reaching ramifications for public safety.
JPS/Raytheon and RCC will demonstrate a communications solution built on speed,
interoperability and reliable connectivity between independent communications
platforms so law enforcement, fire, EMS, public works, government officials and
military units can communicate seamlessly and efficiently in a crisis situation
within their existing infrastructure and at minimal cost.
"This is an important venue and opportunity to educate homeland security,
first-response officials on a new technology solution that can overcome current
communications barriers and deliver critical information quickly and effectively,"
explained Michael Hunter, President of RCC Consultants, Inc. "We took a process of
selecting the technology we would use to deliver this Webcast just as seriously,
and determined that Sonic Foundry's Mediasite Live was best suited to meet our
requirements as an easy, fast and high-quality Web communications solution."
Responding to dramatic growth in market demand from businesses, education
institutions and government agencies looking to communicate with speed and
convenience, Sonic Foundry developed Mediasite Live to remove the cost and
complexity issues of capturing and distributing online presentations. As a
complete system, it provides all the hardware and software needed to create,
deliver, and view high-quality, multimedia Web presentations without any special
preparation, costly production or complex authoring. Further, because there are no
streaming or seat-licensing fees, users can present as often as needed, to as many
people as needed, without incurring additional costs.

Communications Interoperability is Key for Fast Dissemination Of Information

The JPS/Raytheon RCC Consultants' solution includes an equipment rack with radios
from participating agencies and a computer that controls the interconnection. Its
communications center can select which radios need to interconnect and set up the
links upon request. In addition, outside directional antennas point to the other
agencies' repeater sites to pick up their signals to include omnidirectional
antennas for aircraft communications.

Anyone with authorized access can become part of the communications network. For
example, someone in Washington could participate and communicate with anyone.
Besides disaster communications, there could be federal as well as multiple local
law enforcement connections needed for communication during surveillance
operations that might extend over great distances. NASA recently used the
JPS/Raytheon technology during the space shuttle disaster operation and the U.S.
government employed the same technology to enhance communications during the
conflict in Iraq.

"The Web can be a powerful and broad-reaching channel for emergency management and
homeland security. However, until now the viability of most Web media systems for
rapid response have been limited by the time required to create or transform
content for use on the Internet," said Rimas Buinevicius, chairman and CEO, Sonic
Foundry. "Mediasite Live, on the other hand, is a real-time system that
practically eliminates those time-consuming processes and provides agencies with a
quick and efficient way to ensure their message gets out to first responders and
law enforcement officials to act on it rapidly or view it later on-demand."
For more information on the demonstration or to attend, contact Lawrence Gould at
800/442-4995.

About JPS Communications

JPS Communications (www.jps.com), a wholly owned subsidiary of Raytheon Company
(NYSE: RTN) and a Project 25 signatory, designs, manufactures and sells electronic
hardware and software products that enhance the effectiveness of communications
systems. The company's main product focus is radio interconnect products, which
facilitate communications between two-way radios (HF and VHF/UHF) and various
other devices, such as specialized radios, cellular, landline telephone, NEXTEL
and SATCOM. The company's products are designed for two broad segments of radio
communications users: customers who use high frequency (HF) radio systems and
customers who use Land Mobile Radio (LMR) communications systems. HF radio
equipment (for long distance communications) is used mainly by militaries and
government agencies, both foreign and domestic. LMR equipment (for short distance
communications) is used by federal and local government agencies, such as police
and fire departments, railroads and other commercial businesses, and militaries
worldwide.
JPS' products address an increasingly critical need in the public safety industry
for communications interoperability -- defined as the ability for two or more
parties (e.g., two different public safety agencies) to exchange information, when
and where needed, even when disparate communications systems are involved. JPS'
products enable interoperability in situations where agencies could not otherwise
communicate due to the incompatibility of their existing communications systems.
Applications for these systems are virtually unlimited, with a primary focus on
public safety and homeland defense capabilities.
JPS has continued to develop products in support of both the HF and LMR markets
and has about 25 major products in its catalog. The company's commitment to
continuous research and development is focused on supporting new applications and
adding features to its voter and interconnect product families. With superior
technology, product line expansion and increased market penetration, JPS has
established a solid customer base, including a wide variety of U.S. Government
Agencies, numerous OEM customers and a wide variety of military/commercial end
users.

About RCC

RCC Consultants, Inc. was incorporated in 1983 and is headquartered in Woodbridge,
New Jersey. RCC provides client-centered consulting, engineering, integration and
outsourcing services in the communications and information technology fields to
private and public sector clients. RCC is an industry leader in public safety
communications consulting. It is handling numerous large systems planning and
implementation projects for such diverse clients as the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania, Los Angeles County, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and
the Irish Garda (the national police force of Ireland).

About Sonic Foundry(R), Inc.

Founded in 1991, Sonic Foundry (NASDAQ: SOFO) is a leading provider of rich media
solutions for the enterprise. Its complete offering of tools, systems and services
provides a single source for creating, managing, analyzing and enhancing media for
government, business, and education. Sonic Foundry is based in Madison, Wis. For
more information about Sonic Foundry, visit the company's Web site at
www.sonicfoundry.com.

Certain statements contained in this news release regarding matters that are not
historical facts may be forward-looking statements. Because such forward-looking
statements include risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially
from those expressed in or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors
that could cause actual results to differ materially include, but are not limited
to, uncertainties pertaining to continued market acceptance for Sonic Foundry's
products, its ability to succeed in capturing significant revenues from media
services and/or systems, the effect of new competitors in its market, integration
of acquired business and other risk factors identified from time to time in its
filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

    --30--HG/dx*

CONTACT: For Sonic Foundry Inc.
Press Contact:
             Catapult PR-IR
Mary Bart, 303/581-7760, ext. 14
[email-masked]
or
Investor Contact:
Strategic Growth International, Inc.
             Richard Cooper/Rob Schatz, 516/829-7111
[email-masked]

 http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.062603/231775106&directory=/google&header_file=header.htm&footer_file=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/