Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Few will take up number portability in the USA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:11:04 -0400

Few will take up number portability in the USA

Parks Associates has released data that challenges recent speculations that local
number portability (LNP) in the USA will trigger a mass exodus of subscribers to
different networks.  The data, drawn from its forthcoming report U.S. Mobile
Market Intelligence, indicates that LNP, which allows consumers to switch
providers while retaining their original phone number, will lead to only a
moderate number of defections.
"Over the last week, there have been claims that 25-30% of subscribers will switch
operators as soon as number portability is implemented," said John Barrett,
research analyst with Parks Associates.  "That is simply not realistic once you
look at markets where LNP has already been introduced, such as Australia, Hong
Kong, and the UK."
"In these markets, the number of people porting their number decreases with
overall penetration rates," Barrett said.  "In Hong Kong, where there are 94
mobile phones for every 100 people, 23% ported their number within the first
year.  In Australia and the U.K., where penetration is 64% and 68%, respectively,
only 4% and 6% have ported their numbers.  The U.S. has a relatively low
penetration rate (50%), suggesting that at most, 2-3% of subscribers will take
their number to another operator within the first year, nowhere near the 30%
figure being thrown out by some in the industry."

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9296.shtml

Posted to the site on 16-Jul-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health. 1 month supply - $23.95
(1 bottle, 90 tablets, 400mg each with Magnesium & Vitamin D)
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mcIe3D/v9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/