Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Defense to test privacy training tool

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:21:39 -0400

Defense to test privacy training tool
BY Dan Caterinicchia
July 23, 2003

The Defense Department next week will begin testing a CD-ROM designed to outline
the guidelines that govern data collection and dissemination and teach
intelligence personnel how to comply with privacy statutes.

The 45-minute training program illustrates how defense intelligence personnel
should deal with potentially private information collected about U.S. citizens,
said George Lotz II, assistant to the secretary of defense for intelligence
oversight.

Training is the key to ensuring privacy guidelines are met, said
Lotz, speaking at a July 22 meeting of the Technology and Privacy
Advisory Committee. The committee is an external oversight board
established in February by DOD to ensure that the Terrorism
Information Awareness program moves forward with proper
regard for constitutional laws and existing privacy policies
"The safety net here is the user," he said. "The best protection
against violations is training personnel in defense intelligence oversight rules."

Originally called Total Information Awareness, TIA is designed to help national
security analysts track and stop terrorist attacks by spotting patterns in credit
card and travel records, biometric authentication technologies, intelligence data
and automated virtual data repositories. But the project, developed by the Defense
Advanced Research Projects Agency, is under heavy criticism by privacy advocates.

Lotz's office began reviewing the information awareness program last December
because of the public outcry. "To date, that review found no information that TIA
was being used to violate the rights of U.S. persons," Lotz said Tuesday.

The review will continue throughout the life of the program, Lotz said, adding
that his real involvement with it will come when and if the information awareness
software tools are used by defense intelligence agencies. Vahan Moushegian,
director of the privacy office for DOD, said high-level authority should be
received before collecting information using TIA.

"Only information that is minimally necessary to accomplish that mission [should
be collected], no more," Moushegian said, adding that a felony charge should be
the punishment for abusing the system.

Once officials approve use of the information awareness program, confidentiality
through audits — and penalties for abuse — should already be established,
Moushegian said.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0721/web-intel-07-23-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy No Snore & Get a Good Night's Sleep. Natural Oral Spray -- $24.95
(1 bottle, 1 month supply, with sweet almond oil, eucalyptus oil & more).
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2881&lp=h515.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2oMABA/nuYGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:34:40 -0400

Looks like someone at DOD is using "Brave New World" as their recipe.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 3:22 PM
To: WFHSG; [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Defense to test privacy training tool

The Defense Department next week will begin testing a CD-ROM designed to
outline
the guidelines that govern data collection and dissemination and teach
intelligence personnel how to comply with privacy statutes.

The 45-minute training program illustrates how defense intelligence
personnel
should deal with potentially private information collected about U.S.
citizens,
said George Lotz II, assistant to the secretary of defense for
intelligence
oversight.

against violations is training personnel in defense intelligence
oversight rules."

Originally called Total Information Awareness, TIA is designed to help
national
security analysts track and stop terrorist attacks by spotting patterns
in credit
card and travel records, biometric authentication technologies,
intelligence data
and automated virtual data repositories. But the project, developed by
the Defense
Advanced Research Projects Agency, is under heavy criticism by privacy
advocates.

Lotz's office began reviewing the information awareness program last
December
because of the public outcry. "To date, that review found no information
that TIA
was being used to violate the rights of U.S. persons," Lotz said
Tuesday.

The review will continue throughout the life of the program, Lotz said,
adding
that his real involvement with it will come when and if the information
awareness
software tools are used by defense intelligence agencies. Vahan
Moushegian,
director of the privacy office for DOD, said high-level authority should
be
received before collecting information using TIA.

"Only information that is minimally necessary to accomplish that mission
[should
be collected], no more," Moushegian said, adding that a felony charge
should be
the punishment for abusing the system.

Once officials approve use of the information awareness program,
confidentiality
through audits - and penalties for abuse - should already be
established,
Moushegian said.

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->