Subject: [NEXTEL-1] House anti-spam bill to include wireless

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:25:48 -0400

House anti-spam bill to include wireless

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
July 10, 2003

WASHINGTON

When the House Commerce Committee takes up anti-spam legislation next week,
language will be included to combat wireless spam, Rep. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) told
RCR Wireless News following a hearing on spam Wednesday.

Rep. Billy Tauzin (R-La.), chairman, had hinted that the bill he co-sponsors with
Burr would combat the increasing problem of wireless spam.

“While the legislation goes a long way in addressing the existing spam problem,
the bill also seeks to cut off development of future spam problems—wireless spam,”
said Tauzin. “While wireless spam is not yet an issue garnering significant
attention in the United States, it has been a costly problem in Asia and Europe.
We hope to head off the problem before it threatens wireless communications here
at home.”

The confusion was that the bill as introduced does not deal with wireless spam,
but Burr confirmed that negotiations have now yielded a provision to combat
wireless spam. He did not know the final details, but said it would be included in
a new version of the bill expected to be considered by the House Commerce
Committee next week.

Such a provision should make another lawmaker, Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.),
ranking member of the House telecom subcommittee, happy. Twice during Wednesday's
hearing Markey said language was needed to include wireless.

“From a consumer's perspective, isn't this the time? Isn't this the place?” said
Markey. “It would really irritate people so much more if they ended up getting
spammed on their cell phone.”

Consumer advocates also welcome anti-wireless spam legislation.

“We should be working to kill wireless spam in all of its iterations,” said
Christopher Murray, legislative counsel for Consumers Union.

There is precedent for anti-wireless spam legislation. Rep. Rush Holt (D.N.J.)
introduced a bill earlier this year that would combat wireless spam.

The Burr/Tauzin bill is on a fast track to passage. It is competing with a bill
introduced by Reps. Heather Wilson (R-N.M.) and Gene Green (R-Texas). The
Wilson/Green bill is considered stronger by consumer advocates, but is not liked
by the business community because it allows for private rights of action and
class-action lawsuits to combat spam.

While Tauzin expressed hope that compromise between the two bills could be found,
Green was not as optimistic. The House has previously passed legislation closer to
the Wilson/Green bill.

“This committee is moving in the wrong direction,” said Rep. Bart Stupak
(D-Mich.), expressing a concern of many of the Democrats on the House Commerce
Committee.

The Senate Commerce Committee recently passed an anti-spam bill.

In one sign of the growing problem of wireless spam, Japan's NTT DoCoMo Inc. said
today it is taking additional measures to combat spam on its wireless network.
Offenders will either have their DoCoMo services temporarily or permanently
suspended, Japan's largest mobile operator said. 

Source: http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14241

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Bulldog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:53:55 -0000

How do I get them to call it the ENYO Act?

The clock is ticking...

When's the soonest this could pass?

Anyone wanna buy a vending machine? Cheap!
http://www.pimpfloyd.com/phpBB2/files/ramen_spam_vend.jpg

--- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> "While the legislation goes a long way in addressing the existing 
spam problem,
> the bill also seeks to cut off development of future spam problems—
wireless spam,"
> said Tauzin. "While wireless spam is not yet an issue garnering 
significant
> at home."
> "From a consumer's perspective, isn't this the time? Isn't this the 
place?" said
> Markey. "It would really irritate people so much more if they ended 
up getting
> spammed on their cell phone."
> 
> "We should be working to kill wireless spam in all of its 
iterations," said
> "This committee is moving in the wrong direction," said Rep. Bart 
Stupak

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->