Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dunmore Firefighter Who Used Borough's Tax ID To Buy Nextel Phones Now Reinstated

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:52:45 -0400

Dunmore Firefighter Who Used City's Tax ID To Buy Nextel Phones Now Reinstated

By Andrew M. Seder  06/20/2003

DUNMORE -- Suspended borough firefighter Dominick Rinaldi has been reinstated
pending a "proper investigation," but Dunmore City Council members made it clear
the matter is not over.

The reinstatement was made official during a three-minute special council meeting
Thursday night. Councilman Dick Sabatini made his motion "to rescind disciplinary
action against firefighter Rinaldi."

"I'd like to call for an immediate session or to have a special meeting on the
matter and at that time we should take appropriate disciplinary action if he is
found guilty," Mr. Sabatini said. "If he's found guilty, he may very well end up
with a punishment that fits the crime."

The motion was passed 6-0.

Mr. Rinaldi, 38, of Throop, has been on a 30-day unpaid suspension since June 11
when he was notified by letter that he was being disciplined for using the
borough's tax exemption identification number without permission. The number was
used to acquire 23 Nextel cell phones for use by Mr. Rinaldi, fellow firefighters,
Lackawanna Ambulance workers, friends and spouses. Two of the phones were used by
Councilman Paul Nardozzi, who said he had no knowledge that the borough's tax
number was used to acquire the phones.

Mr. Rinaldi commented in a call after the meeting Thursdsay that his reputation
has been damaged because of the decision to suspend him without getting his
account of the situation. He denies using the number without permission and said a
document signed by borough treasurer Ann Marie Tigue in June 2002 proves he did
not acquire it illegally.

An executive session has been scheduled for Tuesday night at 6:30, and council
invited Mr. Rinaldi, Ms. Tigue and others "integral to the situation," according
to solicitor Mark Conway.

Mr. Rinaldi said he is unsure whether he will attend the meeting but said the
matter will be discussed today with firefighter union attorney Tom Jennings.

"They want this to just go away," Mr. Rinaldi said. "That will not happen. I
promise you. I want an apology and I have not ruled out a civil lawsuit against
council. That's still being looked into. The union is furious with this situation.
And so am I."

 http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=8448832&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id=416046&rfi=6http://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=us&.src=ygrp&.done=http://groups.yahoo.com%2Fmygroups

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/