Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon To Rehire 1,100 Workers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:34:54 -0400

Verizon To Rehire 1,100 Workers

In a move to possibly pre-empt rulings similar to a labor grievance case it lost
this past week, Verizon Communications [NYSE: VZ] on Tuesday said it will rehire
1,100 laid-off workers in the Northeast. That number doesn't include the 2,300
layoffs an arbitrator told Verizon this past week that it must take back due to
the fact that they were improperly terminated.

Verizon spokesman Eric Rabe said the company doesn't agree with the prior ruling,
but that it has "voluntarily decided to no longer contest union grievances over
lay-offs in other states." "So we will rehire workers laid off in Pennsylvania,
New Jersey and New England as well," Rabe said. Similar to the 2,300 New York
workers, the 1,100 employees to be rehired in the other states will receive back
pay, minus the severance payments and unemployment benefits they received.

The move by Verizon is the latest in the company's negotiations with its unions
for a new contract covering 75,000 of its nearly 230,000 employees. Communications
Workers of America spokesman Jeff Miller told Communications Today on Tuesday that
Verizon "did the right thing." "There would have been a cloud of bad feeling, I
think, had [Verizon] continued to drag the issue out and continued to pursue other
arbitrations," Miller said. "The issue has been settled and they wisely decided to
not create further discord. We think it is a good step for them."

www.telecomweb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/