Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. Bandwidth Price Trends in the 1990s

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:12:04 -0400

U.S. Bandwidth Price Trends in the 1990s

Douglas Galbi
Senior Economist

FCC

February 23, 2000

Note: This presentation reflects only the views of the author. This presentation
does not necessarily reflect the views of the Federal Communications Commission,
its Commissioners, or staff members other than the author.
What’s bandwidth?

1) Bandwidth is a widely and loosely used term. Bandwidth is used in discussions
of radio spectrum (“bandwidth auctions”), signal processing (“filter bandwidth”),
industry development (“the growth of broadband”), and in describing communications
capabilities (“How much bandwidth do you have?”).

2) For the purposes of this presentation, bandwidth is a measure of information
transmission capacity available to the user: “the size of the communications pipe.

”
3) Bandwidth in this sense depends on the established communications protocols and
management of the medium. “Raw bandwidth” or information-theoretic concepts of
bandwidth typically have little current economic relevance.

4) Bandwidth can be organized in many different ways. One conceptually simple
example is bandwidth defined between two points. Such bandwidth is known as
private lines, leased lines, or dedicated transport. Bandwidth associated with
voice service is usually called public switched services. Measuring bandwidth as
information transmission capacity available requires translating specific
communications services into this common measure.

5) In the 1990s, networks of point-to-point dedicated bandwidth has dominated
bandwidth in use. Focusing on underlying network facilities and relevant
end-points is important for a coherent, interpretable definition of bandwidth.

http://users.erols.com/dgalbi/telpol/bp2.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/