Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell phones causing car fires? (NOT)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:25:23 -0400

Not this old rumor again-
Don't belive Da-Hype!

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Steve Uhrig" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Cell phones causing car fires?

CELL PHONES IGNITING  <> VEHICLES --

Inasmuch as many people use cellular telephones and many of those 
people also refuel their automobiles themselves, staff being so 
difficult to obtain and retain nowadays, please be careful when 
refueling, especially when (but not only when) little ones are inside 
the vehicles.   

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents 
in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling 
operations.   

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during 
fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the 
gasoline pump.  

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when 
fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car. --  

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin 
as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang 
while they were fueling their car.  

You should know that Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes.  

(Reprinted from AFIO WIN -- Association of Former Intelligence 
Officers -- Weekly Intelligence Notes. Original source unknown. 
Accuracy of info unknown. Not verified by me.)  

Steve's comments -- I can see a mechanical shaker/motor igniting 
gasoline fumes, but only that. While cell phones are not I.S., I 
don't see much likelihood of a piezo ringer or oscillator or whatever 
they use causing problems. Would be interesting to learn if a 
mechanical ringer was installed and activated in these incidents.

========

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/