Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola, Nextel 10-Year Relationship Could be Challenged

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:16:51 -0400

Motorola, Nextel 10-Year Relationship Could be Challenged

The exclusive relationship between Motorola and Nextel might be challenged by
a business decision that could place Motorola’s walkie-talkie like technology in
the hands of other carriers. Motorola is said to be developing a walkie-talkie
like
feature, similar to that of Nextel’s Direct Connect feature, which it could
possibly sell to Nextel’s competitors. Verizon Wireless, Sprint PCS, Alltel
Corp. and other carriers are among the interested parties in adding a
walkie-talkie like feature to their networks. Both Nextel and Motorola deny the
assumptions that the two may be distanced by the possibility of Motorola
supplying Nextel’s competitors with the technology. Nextel currently gets more
than 95 percent of its handsets from Motorola.

www.wow-com.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "havaloc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:18:26 -0000

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Nextel make some sort of arrangement with
Qualcomm to the exclusive licensee of Q-chat in the US market? 

This might signify a Nextel jump to CDMA, and its associated Q-Chat
technology.  

In terms of Motorola vs. Nextel, I wonder who got sick of who?

--- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> The exclusive relationship between Motorola and Nextel might be
challenged by ...snip...

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Natural Vitamins for Good Prostate & Male Health. $28.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2865&lp=prosta2.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/qJIe0D/89VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:37:59 -0000

> In terms of Motorola vs. Nextel, I wonder who got sick of who?

Unless the terms have been changed, MOT and NXTL will be doing 
business for a very long time. NXTL is obligated to give MOT the 
right of first refusal on at least 50% of all future CAPEX. 

But since MOT has sold off 25% of its NXTL stock, maybe this clause 
has been modified.

I forget the exact number, but NXTL is ~15% of MOT's business. So 
these two have a little lover's spat, but they'll make up 
eventually. I mean Nextel would be in a world of hurt if MOT didn't 
sell'm any iDen phones.

Marcel,
Have the SoCo boys pulled the plug on AMS and Taladega?
How will they ever race at night without any LIGHTS!!!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:22:46 -0400

> How will they ever race at night without any LIGHTS!!!

Nextel is "locked" in the Moto deal. Remember all the hot air Timmy was blowing when he promised a "Second Handset Vendor"?  Kyocera looked at the
terms and told Timmy "No Way!" Ericsson brought the iDEN (hardware ) division from LCC and has shared a lot of propriety information with other
vendors, and none are interested in pursing and hardware innovations.

It is a battle of the divisions at Moto right now. CGISS is trying to hold on to their profitable Public Safety customers and the GTSS people are not
lifting a finger to alleviate the interference.  So the problem is left up to a bunch of LMR people (outside of Moto) who have no true "Cellular"
experience and are trying to solve interference using ancient  2-Way radio methods.
Hey guys, get GTSS to fix it DUH!!!!!!!!

As far as Soco I don't know their status at AMS or Taladega, I have a guy from the AJC plugged in on that. His nephew races the "Midgets" and knows
the players in NASCAR (it is a Good-ole boy thing). The Soco guys lurking here keep a pretty low profile and any info will probably come through
normal channels.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->