Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FORMER FCC CHAIRMAN'S PLAN: BROADBAND IN EVERY HOME

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:13:46 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Neil Lehto" <[email-masked]>
Subject: FORMER FCC CHAIRMAN'S PLAN: BROADBAND IN EVERY HOME

Editor's Note: The only winner's here would be the 100s of
telecommunications lobbyist who would descend on the U.S. Congress and
White House and kill this dead as a door nail. 

Former FCC Chairman Reed Hundt proposed a plan Tuesday to speed up the
build-out of broadband Internet access, and he hopes that US taxpayers
will foot the bill directly. Speaking at the Supernova technology
conference in Washington, DC, Hundt suggested that high-speed Internet
is as crucial to economic development today as roadways were in the
previous century, justifying the investment. "There are some things you
should throw money at," he said. Hundt's plan, which he plans to detail
further in a forthcoming paper, would seek a subsidy from taxpayers
amounting to roughly $20 per household per month to invest in a
fiber-optic network that would bring 10-100 mBps into 100 million homes.
He estimates a $50 billion price tag for the effort, to be alleviated
immediately through an elimination of the universal service phone
subsidies, which would be unnecessary once voice was carried as data
over fiber lines.
SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News; AUTHOR: Dan Gillmor
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6263548.htm.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/