Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Spectrum Coalition for Public Safety

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:04:54 -0400

An associate sent this to me tonight and asked me to post it. I have not done any
Dune Diligence on the "Spectrum Coalition for Public Safety" yet but I will post
what I find.
===========================================================================
Spectrum Coalition for Public Safety

About Public Safety High-Speed Wireless Data
In this era of Code Orange warnings, the capacity to rapidly deploy high-speed
wireless applications is absolutely essential in meeting the public safety and
homeland security needs of the nation and its capital.

High-speed wireless technologies provide critical public safety and homeland
security applications: chemical/biological alarms, remote video monitoring at
command sites, video information for officers on patrol, cross-jurisdictional
database messaging, and ambulance-hospital video links.

The Need for Public Safety Spectrum
Unfortunately, current networks or spectrum allocations do not provide sufficient
bandwidth to enable critical
high-speed next generation public safety technology. Significant network
improvements and spectrum
allocations are needed.

There is a solution to this problem &mdash; allocation by the FCC of at least 10
additional MHz of
spectrum in the 700 MHz range to be used specifically for public safety services.
However, the window of
opportunity for this solution is closing rapidly as the FCC currently plans the
auction of the remaining 700
MHz block of spectrum to the highest bidder (for commercial use).

The Spectrum Coalition for Public Safety
The Spectrum Coalition for Public Safety is a national coalition of cities,
states, and public safety
associations organized to secure additional spectrum in the 700 MHz range to
support critical public safety
wireless applications. This request for additional spectrum is consistent with the
recommendations
contained in the PSWAC report, dated September, 1996.

Spectrum Coalition fact sheet*

The Coalition is asking Congress to enact legislation and to
mandate the Federal Communications Commission to:

Stop the pending auctions of the upper portion of the 700
MHz band

Allocate 10 MHz (5 MHz paired) of spectrum in the 700 MHz
band to public safety and homeland security use
Mandate the broadcasters (who must already relocate) do so
by a date certain &mdash; December 31, 2006 or earlier
Promote the implementation of technologies that fully satisfy
the technical requirements

Coalition Members as of  May 2003:

City of San Diego
US Park Police
State of Delaware
Washington, DC
City of Phoenix
City of Denver
CapWin
Montgomery County,
MD

              http://octo.dc.gov/information/pdf/Spectrum_Fact_Sheet_062503.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/