Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Wireless Communications Solution Designed to Increase Officer Efficiency and Safety

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:01:29 -0400

Motorola Wireless Communications Solution Designed to Increase Officer Efficiency
and Safety

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., July 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The City of Tulsa' s
wireless data system is the first in the state of Oklahoma to incorporate a
fully integrated online report writing suite for its Police Department.  The
Motorola (NYSE: MOT) 800 MHz Private DataTAC 2.0.3 backbone covers 400 square
miles and provides both compression and encryption of system information.  The
city's new wireless data solution is part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of
integrated communications and information solutions designed to address
mission-critical public safety and security requirements worldwide.
The Tulsa Police Department's new reporting capabilities allow officers to
complete field interviews, incident reports and accident reports online.
According to George Smith, Systems Development and Support manager, for the
Tulsa Police Department, this new capability has significantly increased
officer and overall department efficiencies.

"Prior to the installation of this system, officers submitted reports
using traditional paper documents," said Smith.  "That cumbersome, timely
process has been completely transformed with the adoption of the new wireless
system.  Officer efficiency has increased both on the street and in the
office, freeing up time to do what they do best -- serve and protect our
citizens."

The $1.4 million wireless data system was incorporated into the city's
existing Motorola data radio network.  Featuring 450 Rocky II Plus laptops and
docking stations in police vehicles, Motorola's Wireless Network Gateway
software and vehicular radio modems (VRM660) provide the link to the city's
wireless infrastructure.  The system utilizes VisionTEK's Frontline(TM)
software, enabling Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), messaging, wants and
warrants inquiries, field interviews and incident and accident reporting
capabilities.  The Wants & Warrants module includes access to local, state and
federal databases.

Since formal acceptance, the Tulsa Fire Department also has joined the
system.  Other city departments and agencies will likely utilize the network
once funding is secured.

In addition to expediting the report writing process, Smith notes the
system has also saved time and department resources with regard to warrant
searches.

"Again, prior to implementing the wireless data system, warrant checks
were requested by officers over the radio with results also communicated via
radio," said Smith.  "However, when radio traffic was heavy, it was often
difficult to complete this procedure.  Now, officers have immediate access to
warrant information through the wireless infrastructure.  The mobile computer
has become an officer's most powerful public safety weapon.  And they don't
want to go to work without it."Due to the wealth of information available
through the system, Smith said officer safety has also been substantially
increased.

"The success of the Tulsa wireless data system and its online reporting
capabilities has paved the way for other cities to follow the same path," said
Laura Lozano, Motorola Systems Integration Management.  "Motorola looks
forward to assisting Tulsa with ongoing support as their system and its users
expand."

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK1.story&STORY=/www/story/07-21-2003/0001985563&EDATE=MON+Jul+21+2003,+09:02+AM

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/