Subject: [NEXTEL-1] OET Dismisses Safety Cast Experimental Authority App

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:49:48 -0400

Hath the NAB struck and smote this beast???  -A.D.

---------------------------------------------
From: "FCC Daily Digest"
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:07:13 -0400
Subject: Daily Digest  - 07/29/2003
Vol. 22 No. 144

---------------------------------------------

 Released:  07/29/2003.  OFFICE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY DISMISSES
SAFETY CAST CORPORATION APPLICATION FOR SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY FOR
EXPERIMENTAL RADIO STATION. (DA No.  03-2550).  OET
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2550A1.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2550A1.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2550A1.txt> 

---------------------------------------------
PUBLIC  NOTICE  FEDERAL  COMMUNICATIONS  COMMISSION  445  12th  STREET 
S.  W.  WASHINGTON,  D.  C.  20554  News  media  information  202/  418- 
0500  Fax-  On-  Demand  202/  418-  2830  Internet:  http://  www.  fcc.
 gov  ftp.  fcc.  gov 
 DA  03-  2550  Released:  July  29,  2003 
 OFFICE  OF  ENGINEERING  AND  TECHNOLOGY  DISMISSES  SAFETY  CAST 
CORPORATION  APPLICATION  FOR  SPECIAL  TEMPORARY  AUTHORITY  FOR 
EXPERIMENTAL  RADIO  STATION 
 File  No.  0183-  EX-  ST-  2003 

 On  April  18,  2003,  Safety  Cast  Corporation  filed  an  application
 for  Special  Temporary  Authority  (STA)  in  the  Experimental  Radio 
Service  (File  No.  0183-  EX-  ST-  2003).  By  its  experimentation, 
Safety  Cast  seeks  to  test  its  technology  that,  it  states,  uses 
“an  extremely  low  power,  non-commercial,  mobile  transmitter  that 
will  broadcast  ‘All  Hazard’  alerts,  Amber  Alerts,  and/  or 
emergency  ‘alert’  messages  from  authorized  public  entity  vehicles 
(Police,  Fire/  Rescue,  etc.).”  By  Public  Notice,  DA  03-  2109, 
released  June 30,  2003,  this  application  was  given  “permit- 
but-disclose”  status  under  the  Commission’s  ex  parte  rules,  47 
C.  F.  R.  §§  1.1200  et seq.,  and  comment  was  sought,  with 
initial  comments  due  July  30,  2003. 

 By  letter  dated  July  29,  2003,  the  Chief,  Office  of 
Engineering  and  Technology  (OET)  dismissed  the  Safety  Cast 
application without  prejudice  to  the  applicant’s  right  to  file  an
 application  (Form  309)  with  the  Media  Bureau  pursuant  to  Part 
74  of  the  Commission’s rules.  As  a  result,  comment  is  no  longer
 being  sought  on  this  application. 

 By  the  Chief,  Office  of  Engineering  and  Technology 
1---------------------------------------------

[Please copy replies to Alan Dixon, at: [email-masked]
<wpuc720[a]juno.com>]

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:40:58 -0400

Almost.  FCC policy requires that experimental licenses in broadcast be issued by Media Bureau. It may even be in the rules.  Whenever experimental applications are received for operation in regularly assigned frequency bands, OET coordinates with the operating bureau, be it WTB. Satellite or broadcast.

I haven't checked the supervisory structure of OET's Experimental Licensing Branch in the past week or so, but if Jim Bertle is still in charge, he comes to that post from Mass Media Bureau -- not that he is biased, but he might be personally cognizant of past policies in this area, and corporate memory is sometimes a scarce commodity at the FCC.

Roger
__________

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 11:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] OET Dismisses Safety Cast Experimental Authority App

 On  April  18,  2003,  Safety  Cast  Corporation  filed  an  application
 for  Special  Temporary  Authority  (STA)  in  the  Experimental  Radio 
Service  (File  No.  0183-  EX-  ST-  2003).  By  its  experimentation, 
Safety  Cast  seeks  to  test  its  technology  that,  it  states,  uses 
"an  extremely  low  power,  non-commercial,  mobile  transmitter  that 
will  broadcast  'All  Hazard'  alerts,  Amber  Alerts,  and/  or 
emergency  'alert'  messages  from  authorized  public  entity  vehicles 
(Police,  Fire/  Rescue,  etc.)."  By  Public  Notice,  DA  03-  2109, 
released  June 30,  2003,  this  application  was  given  "permit- 
but-disclose"  status  under  the  Commission's  ex  parte  rules,  47 
C.  F.  R.  §§  1.1200  et seq.,  and  comment  was  sought,  with 
initial  comments  due  July  30,  2003. 

 By  letter  dated  July  29,  2003,  the  Chief,  Office  of 
Engineering  and  Technology  (OET)  dismissed  the  Safety  Cast 
application without  prejudice  to  the  applicant's  right  to  file  an
 application  (Form  309)  with  the  Media  Bureau  pursuant  to  Part 
74  of  the  Commission's rules.  As  a  result,  comment  is  no  longer
 being  sought  on  this  application. 

1

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->