Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Accidental cell phone 911 calls tying up dispatchers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:15:07 -0400

False 911 Calls Tie Up Dispatching Lines

Cell phone users in Dyer County, Tenn., are encouraged to lock their keypads while
they are not using their cell phones. The county’s emergency dispatcher reports
there has been an overwhelming amount of false 911 calls originating from cell
phones. The calls are tying up dispatching lines, posing a major concern for
delays in answering a valid emergency call. Dyer County Sheriff Jeff Holt said,
"If you're carrying your phone in your pocket or purse we ask that you lock the
keypad so as not to tie up a dispatcher with an accidental call."
==================================================================================

Accidental cell phone 911 calls tying up dispatchers

07/07/03
BILL HILES

Sheriff Jeff Holt wants Dyer County cell phone users to be sure to lock their
keypads when the phones are not in use.
"We've been getting quite a few accidental 911 calls to our dispatchers," Holt
said. "They tie up our 911 line until we can get them cleared and could delay
answering a legitimate emergency call."

Holt said the problem stems from cell phones in purses or pockets inadvertently
signaling the 911 system.
"When keypads aren't locked and the '9' button is depressed it calls 911," he
said. "We usually get a call-back number displayed on our screens and are able to
call the person with the phone to remind them to lock their keypad."
Holt said the problem can be eliminated by cell phone users locking their keypads
when not using their phones.
"If you're carrying your phone in your pocket or purse we ask that you lock the
keypad so as not to tie up a dispatcher with an accidental call."

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/870/public/news472183.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/