Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] FORMER FCC CHAIRMAN'S PLAN: BROADBAND IN EVERY HOME

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:27:18 -0400

The only good things I remember about Reed Hundt's tenure at the
Commission is that he finally got the telephone system changed out from
dial to touch-tone, and most of the professional staff were finally
equipped with mini-computers but maybe I'm remembering his predecessor.

Roger
_____________

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FORMER FCC CHAIRMAN'S PLAN: BROADBAND IN EVERY HOME

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Neil Lehto" <[email-masked]>
Subject: FORMER FCC CHAIRMAN'S PLAN: BROADBAND IN EVERY HOME

Editor's Note: The only winner's here would be the 100s of
telecommunications lobbyist who would descend on the U.S. Congress and
White House and kill this dead as a door nail. 

Former FCC Chairman Reed Hundt proposed a plan Tuesday to speed up the
build-out of broadband Internet access, and he hopes that US taxpayers
will foot the bill directly. Speaking at the Supernova technology
conference in Washington, DC, Hundt suggested that high-speed Internet
is as crucial to economic development today as roadways were in the
previous century, justifying the investment. "There are some things you
should throw money at," he said. Hundt's plan, which he plans to detail
further in a forthcoming paper, would seek a subsidy from taxpayers
amounting to roughly $20 per household per month to invest in a
fiber-optic network that would bring 10-100 mBps into 100 million homes.
He estimates a $50 billion price tag for the effort, to be alleviated
immediately through an elimination of the universal service phone
subsidies, which would be unnecessary once voice was carried as data
over fiber lines.
SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News; AUTHOR: Dan Gillmor
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6263548.htm.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Bulldog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:15:04 -0000

I agree.

Broadband internet access should be an inalienable right of every US 
citizen.  Like electricity or water, the net is equally important.

Seems beneficial to me. (And not cuz I run a non-porn net biz.)

~Dawg

--- In [email-masked], "Madden, Roger" <maddenr@p...> wrote:
> From: Marcelrf@B... [mailto:Marcelrf@B...] 
> From: "Neil Lehto" <nlehto@o...>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges & refill kits at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5702
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YrYXfA/AyWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->