Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Contractor Dies Atop Baseball Light Tower

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:53:01 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "msmith4tli" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Contractor Dies Atop Baseball Light Tower

Contractor Dies Atop Baseball Light Tower
(Johnstown-AP) July 24, 2003 — A contractor who was replacing lights 
on top of a 115-foot tower at a Johnstown baseball stadium died on 
the job. 
Officials from the Cambria County Coroner's office say they don't 
know why 72-year-old John Lill collapsed yesterday on top of a light 
standard at Point Stadium. The coroner's office will complete an 
autopsy today. 

Johnstown Recreation Director Cliff Kitner says Lill was replacing 
lights in preparation for a baseball tournament at the historic 
ballpark when he stopped responding to radio contact. 

Firefighters climbed the steel tower and found Lill unconscious. An 
official from the coroner's office pronounce Lill dead less than an 
hour later. 

Lill was a retired city electrician who was hired as a contractor. 

Last Updated: Jul 24, 2003

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy a Natural Pain Relief Spray & Spray Away Back & Joint Pain - $19.97
(1 bottle, 2 oz., Menthol, Aloe Vera, Eucalyptus Oil) at VitaminBoost.com
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jpZhzC/BoaGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:38:58 -0700

Geeze..... This is terrible news but what was a 72 year old guy doing on
a 115 foot tower anyway?

Wonder if the power was on so he could be sure the new bulbs were OK
too.

==============================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:43:52 -0400

I was going to ask the same question but I did not want a 2 page reprimand from the ARRP lurkers here...............

I think 72 maybe a little old to climb even a light tower.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:39:07 -0400

Unless the Mets were playing some exhibition game and the poor fella looked
out and realized Valentine was not in the dugout…seriously, this is a shame.

Todd Ellis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:51:33 -0400

I use to play baseball on Randall's Island anytime the lights went out we would
ask the guys at the Fire Acdamey to send over their 100ft ladder truck. Even the
"Gun-Ho"
Cops and Firefighters on the team were to afraid to climb the 75 ft towers.
Waitng for the Parks and Recreation to change the lights was a joke.....

Todd Ellis wrote:

> Unless the Mets were playing some exhibition game and the poor fella looked out
> and realized Valentine was not in the dugout…seriously, this is a shame.
>

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:56:17 -0700

As an AARP lurker myself, I still think it was an accident waiting to
happen. 

Of course I stll use hooks to climb telephone poles, but nothing over 90
ft anymore. Nor do I climb over 12 poles or towers a day. I respect my
limits.

===============================================

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I was going to ask the same question but I did not want a 2 page
> reprimand from the ARRP lurkers here...............
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:00:32 -0400

You are better than I am.......
Years ago I took a pole climbing / installing class my union gave in the Hamptons at "Bayberry Land" after I saw a guy fall from a 75ft pole (thank
God for air-bags) I have been a "Man-Lift" guy.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:07:09 -0400

It was always fun to watch the lineman school at my Georgia client's
training facility.tossing beach balls to each other from 40 feet up in order
to get them to trust their protective gear.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 5:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Contractor Dies Atop Baseball Light Tower

You are better than I am.......
Years ago I took a pole climbing / installing class my union gave in the
Hamptons at "Bayberry Land" after I saw a guy fall from a 75ft pole (thank
God for air-bags) I have been a "Man-Lift" guy.

> ft anymore. Nor do I climb over 12 poles or towers a day. I respect my

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT
click here
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17073678
02:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3050
4&media=atkins>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .