Subject: [NEXTEL-1] M/A-COM wins MBTA communications upgrade contract

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:40:50 -0400

M/A-COM, Inc. Awarded $25.7 Million
Radio Communications Contract From
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

One of the Nation's First Transportation Systems
 to Receive Significant Communications Upgrade,
Bolstering Voice and Data Communications
Between Personnel

LOWELL, Mass., July 9 /CNW/-- M/A-COM, Inc., a business
unit of Tyco Electronics and a leading manufacturer of critical radio systems
deployed around the world, today signed a $25.7 million contract with the
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) to install a new 800 MHz
voice and data communications system.  The M/A-COM system will dramatically
improve the MBTA's existing communications capabilities, providing MBTA riders
and personnel a more secure and efficient transportation system.

The M/A-COM system will link MBTA personnel, including Authority police,
bus and subway operators, as well as Authority supervisors, via one
interconnected, state-of-the-art system that will allow for two-way voice and
data communications.  This integrated system will improve the performance of
MBTA commuter vehicles, streamlining the transfer of system-wide information
and data regarding vehicle status, scheduling and passenger emergencies.  This
increased level of communication between MBTA personnel will keep passenger
vehicles running safer and more efficiently.

"Our radio system is the primary means of communication between vehicle
operators, dispatchers, supervisors and maintenance personnel," says MBTA
General Manager Michael H. Mulhern.  "This project will provide us with a
dependable, state-of-the-art radio system with improved coverage, more
channels and better transmission quality."

M/A-COM will provide a ProVoice 20-channel digital simulcast radio system,
mobile and portable radios as well as a sophisticated computer aided dispatch
and automatic vehicle location system.  The project includes engineering
design and implementation support, and M/A-COM will provide the MBTA with the
industry's leading wireless communications system for all voice and data
requirements.

"M/A-COM is extremely pleased to work with the MBTA, a vital organization
within the Massachusetts community, to provide an advanced  communications
system," says John Vaughan, vice president, M/A-COM.  "M/A-COM systems are the
most capable and complete communications systems available, used throughout
the country to offer transportation, municipal and public safety employees the
best in data transmission, voice transmission, and true communication
interoperability.  M/A-COM is proud to partner with the MBTA to complete this
important initiative, which will positively impact all commuters and visitors
within Boston and its many surrounding communities."
    
The MBTA system is slated for completion in 2004.

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/July2003/09/c0981.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health. 1 month supply - $23.95
(1 bottle, 90 tablets, 400mg each with Magnesium & Vitamin D)
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mcIe3D/v9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:48:23 -0000

I'm still waiting for MA/Com to install a real wide-area MA/Com 
system.  Seems they keep on selling wide area Pro-Voice systems but 
not Open Sky.  Are they having a probelm making it work?

BTW, anyone know how the Pennsylvania Open Sky System is coming 
along?  It has been really quiet up there and last I heard they 
cancelled all visists by outside agencies.

Mark

--- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> voice and data communications system.  
> 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:03:55 -0400

I have not checked on the PA job recently, last I checked it was over budget and late. I
expected this since it was their 1st opensky large scale deployment. M/A-COM made they
mistake by over "Over Hyping" the project when their parent company TYCO was faced
with so many problems and their divisions were going through restructuring.

Technically I remember reading a report that listed numerous technical problems
with "Opensky". Lets face it Opensky will have some bugs for many years to come as
they try to play catch-up with Moto. Their IP interoperability solution is a joke.

Public Safety has enough problems dealing with standard interfaces. IP-forget it!

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->