Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak Adds More Noise to the 900 Mhz ISM Band.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:52:58 -0400

Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak Adds More Noise to the 900 Mhz ISM Band.

Wireless Location Tracking Next Project of Apple Co-Founder Apple Computer
co-founder Steve Wozniak is at it again; he founded start-up Wheels of Zeus Inc.
in January 2002 to create wireless technologies that would help people in everyday
life. The company announced its management team Monday as well as some details
about its products. Wheels of Zeus wants to create a wireless network with
location-monitoring tags and base stations in order to help consumers track pets,
children, belongings and other items. The network will be based on low-power,
long-range radio technology in the 900-MHz band and with GPS. It will license the
technology and reference designs to manufacturers that will sell devices for
around $200 to $250.  Products will be announced in the first half of 2004.
===========================================================================================

Apple Co-Founder to Form Locator Network
Mon Jul 21, 6:53 PM ET

By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Apple Computer Inc. co-founder Steve Wozniak is turning his
creative wheels again.
Make that his Wheels of Zeus Inc. — a Los Gatos, Calif., startup he founded in
January 2002 to develop wireless (news - web sites) technologies that would be
"helpful to people's everyday lives." The company, which has been working in
stealth mode, announced its management team Monday and unveiled a few product
details.

The company hopes to create a wireless network of location-monitoring tags and
base stations to help people keep track of pets, children, briefcases, or other
wayward things. The network will use a low-power, long-range radio technology —
the same 900-megahertz spectrum used on many cordless phones — along with global
positioning satellite technologies.
The company plans to license its technology and reference designs to consumer
electronics and other manufacturers, which will sell the devices for an estimated
$200 to $250, said Gina Clark, vice president of marketing and business
development.
Specific products will be announced in the first half of 2004.

Ordinarily, such news, especially one that lacks product details and already faces
competition in a crowded product market, might receive scant attention. But the
technology has captured increased interest because it is another brainchild of
Wozniak, who gained Silicon Valley legendary status as a technical wizard behind
the personal computer.

The startup's name is a play on his nickname Woz. Its wireless platform, called
wOzNet, capitalizes on his fame.
Despite the growing number of similar devices, such as GPS-based locators for pets
and Alzheimer's patients, company officials are confident the technology will find
a niche in the "mid-range" of wireless networks.

In a typical suburban setting, Clark said wOz-based location-monitoring devices
will have a radio range of up to two miles between base stations —between the
general one-building limit of relatively inexpensive radio-frequency
identification or RFID tags, and the larger, more expensive telecommunication
networks like those of cellular phones.

A more ambitious goal, however, is to develop a vast community network of base
stations, which would be connected to the Internet, allowing, for instance, a pet
owner to pick up his lost dog's device signal, and location, in a city miles away.

On the Net:
http://www.woz.com

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030721/ap_on_hi_te/wozniak_network_2

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/