Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Timmy Goes To Dayton

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:20:58 -0400

Timmy Goes To Dayton
Posted on Sat, Jul. 05, 2003

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Tim Donahue , president and CEO officer of Nextel, which
recently signed a 10-year agreement to sponsor what is now known as the Winston Cup series beginning in 2004, was on
hand for Saturday's drivers meeting at Daytona International Speedway.

NASCAR President Mike Helton introduced several Nextel representatives and when
Donahue was introduced, he was greeted by a standing ovation from those in attendance.

"We've never been in anything as big or as exciting as this sponsorship. We want
to make it a great time for the fans,for the teams, for the drivers, for the owners, for everyone involved," Donahue
said.

"No one understands the importance of relationships more than I do. This is a
partnership in the true sense of the word. We really want to enhance the relationship and do everything we can to take
the NASCAR sport you all started to the next level."

Donahue also thanked officials with R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. for their work
sponsoring the series since 1972.

"We are humbled by the opportunity and I think RJR has done a fabulous job over
the last 30-plus years, and we're going to work real hard to fill those very big shoes."

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/6241024.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:50:58 -0000

>>We want to make it a great time for the fans,for the teams, for 
>>the drivers, for the owners, for everyone involved

Total horse-hockey!!!

Nextel has told the team owners that they can't do deals with IBM 
and DELL, because they both have resell agreements with major 
wireless carriers. Its ridiculous, out of control.

Lets not forget that McDonalds now has a fledging 802.11 busines at 
some locations, now are they going to be EXCLUDED???

Nextel took the good-ole boys from Daytona on a hayride, NASCAR will 
live to regret this whole deal.

I said it before, but I want to set the record straight, "This 
NEXTEL-NASCAR deal will be remembered as the NEW-COKE deal of sports 
sponsorships!!!" You heard it hear first. Bookmark it.

The sooner NASCAR cancels this deal the better for all involved. 
Even for Nextel, because if the PLAN-SCAM is canceled, so is 
Nextel!!!

Didn't anybody tell these rednecks, "THIS IS HOW BUSINESS GETS 
DONE!!!"

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:11:34 -0400

NASCAR is going to get the shaft on this deal.

I spoke to one of the "Good -Ole Boys" who was down in Dayton. I must admit I
don't speak "Southern" but by the tone of his voice I can tell he was not happy.
He is a major player at the Atlanta Motor Speedway and  tried to ask Timmy some
questions after the meeting and was given the "Brush Off" Not once, Not twice, but
three separate times.

Timmy's flunkies  ran "Interference" to block any attempts to ask questions after
the meeting.  Timmy showed his NASCAR ignorance several times after the meeting
when he did not know some of the common terminology according to the Atlanta Motor
Speedway player.  The funny thing was the few people who had Nextel's could not
access the network durning the meeting, but afterwards everything worked fine.

Timmy has a few more trips planned and is working with Moto on getting the DEI
phone to market. "Junior's" phone should be 1st to market and should be a big
seller according to the Buzz at the meeting.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:25:38 -0000

> NASCAR is going to get the shaft on this deal.

Agree. 

At best it will be a black eye. At worst, well its just to awful to 
comtemplate. Seriously Nextel may have pulled a fast one, but they 
should be smart enough to know when its time to pull the plug. This 
deal will only last 1yr if that. NASCAR fans are like androids and 
if Nextel fscks with them and NASCAR, watch out it could get real 
ugly.

The idea that this whole thing could dissolve is going to be fun to 
watch.

> He is a major player at the Atlanta Motor Speedway

Hmmm, his first name wouldn't be Ed? and would his last name have 5 
letters?

> seller according to the Buzz at the meeting.

Oh yeah, the other drivers can't wait to get a JR/Nextel phone. 
ROFLMAO.

Seriously, has Nextel negotiated the royalty terms with Bud on the 
phone deal yet? Do they even know how everybody in NASCAR gets paid? 
That was one of the most interesting things to take place at the NYC 
presser, their was NO mention of Gordon or JR's main sponsors. Hmmm.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:34:08 -0400

> Hmmm, his first name wouldn't be Ed? and would his last name have 5

No not clark here is a hint..........

"Get up on that Wheel"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:06:47 -0400

Here  is another titbit of information shared with me......

Georgia Power (aka Southern Company, Owner of SouthernLinc) is a big sponser at the
Atlanta Motor Speedway and spends big bucks at the race track. Their position is
unknown at this time on this Nexthell mess.

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:29:02 -0000

> unknown at this time on this Nexthell mess.

What a complete quagmire.

I'll bet Nextel wants to deny them access to their race-suite, maybe 
they'll have forfeit the racetrack condo?

Yep, this deal is another "New Coke" fiasco.

Btw, the Women's World Cup was recently moved to America because of 
the SARS deal in China, and FIFA has demanded that the host stadiums 
have to coverup all the sponsors associated specifically with the 
stadium, because of conflicts with FIFA. Notwithstanding that the 
original "stadium" sponsors thought they had "iron-clad" deals that 
put their message out during "every" event.

After awhile the whole sponsorship game is just too much PITA!!! All 
this jockeying just to rip us off with $4 cokes and $7 beers. Aw, 
screw'm all, I'm going down the Piggly~Wiggly.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:43:10 -0400

> What a complete quagmire.

That is commonly called a Cluster#$%^ south of the Beltway

> they'll have forfeit the racetrack condo?

Haahaha-
The Condo's are real nice, only problem is you are in the middle of nowhere.

> put their message out during "every" event.

That is like Moto blaming SARS for their bad quarter-

> screw'm all, I'm going down the Piggly~Wiggly.

$4 Cokes???  Ha-Ha they were $6.50 (W/ lemon& a glass of ice) at the clubhouse
this weekend.

btw-Nextel has some new snazzy golf shirts. We did get a nice goody bag. I found
out the club picked up the tab for the day, since nextel gave them phones and free
service.
I was under the impression Nextel was paying out of their slush fund.