Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel's "Homeland Interoperabilty System" Goes Down Across 3 States.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:40:03 -0400

Timmy What Happened?

You call this a "Homeland Interoperabilty System"?

Have you ever heard of redundancy?

Huh? What? Not in the Budget?

Ohh.!!!..I will tell the First Responders That-

This is ridiculous! Step-up or Step off!
=================================================================================
Nextel's "Homeland Interoperabilty System" Goes Down Across 3 States.

July 30, 7:10 p.m.

Montgomery, AL - If you were wondering Wednesday why your cell phone wasn't
working, you weren't alone. The entire Nextel network went down causing lots of
hassles for lots of customers.

Ryan Wales, for example, works for a commercial flooring company in Montgomery. He
noticed a problem with his company's cell phones around 10:30 a.m. "I was actually
using it and it went out," he says.

So Ryan switched to a land-line. When he called Nextel, he found out he wasn't the
only one. Thousands of Nextel customers in a 3-state region were without service
for most of the business day. The company blames one of its fiber optic partners.
Here's the problem. Your cell phone sends a signal to a nearby cell phone tower.
But because a fiber optic network was down, those towers couldn't send it on to
Nextel's switching station in Pensacola. The company that owns the fiber optic
network, U.S. Carrier, says it is a very rare problem.

But even one day without cell service can be a big waste of time. For Ryan, it
meant not being able to communicate with his installers in the field. "Because we
couldn't talk to them about a shipment coming in, we had to drive all the way out
to the site," he explains. And while that didn't translate into a huge financial
loss, in the business world, any loss of time is a loss of productivity. "You
don't get as much accomplished when you're driving back and forth," Ryan says.

Lots of people driving back and forth on Alabama roads were affected. Even if you
don't use Nextel, you would have had trouble calling people who do. Company
officials told WSFA the problem was repaired by the end of the day.
Cingular Wireless also experienced some network problems Wednesday, but for a
shorter amount of time. And those problems have also been repaired.
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/