Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Frequency Issues Facing the FCC Technical Discussion LCC International

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:43:27 -0400

Frequency Issues Facing the FCC – Technical Discussion LCC International
July 17, 2003

Topics include : Frequency Bands with Issues, Focus on 800 MHz, Causes of
Interference, Interference mitigation Planning, Competing 800 MHz Plans, Implementing the “Consensus” Plan, Public Sector
Thoughts.

<SNIP>

Final Thoughts

Assuming a trend towards P25 “cellularization”, there remains the concern that
remaining interleaved H-SMR and B/ILT systems will experience interference from
Public Safety.??

The likelihood and severity of such problems is a complex problem to solve at this
point, however the following points and questions should be considered.

Duty cycle: Will the P25 systems have a duty cycle that promotes harmful
interference like CMRS does today? e.g. iDEN (always on, no DTX) and cellular
(busy hour activity)

Location: Tower sites generally have a less obstructed surrounding, increasing the
likelihood and severity of the "zone of destruction". The zone of destruction can
be up to 1/4 mile from the base station, typically less. How much general access
is available to such areas?

Target system: How is the target (interfered) system used? If the target system is
used in a highly mobile, will these short distances severely impact service?

Again, how much access will the users of the target system have to zone of
destruction areas?

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514286778