Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC establishes Office of Homeland Security

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:17:34 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE                                                                      
July 10,
2003                                                                                                  

FCC ESTABLISHES OFFICE OF
 HOMELAND SECURITY;
JAMES DAILEY NAMED DIRECTOR

Washington, D.C.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today announced the creation of an
Office of Homeland Security (Office) within the Enforcement Bureau.  The new
Office will provide consolidated support for the homeland security and emergency
preparedness responsibilities of the Commission and the Defense Commissioner
(currently, Chairman Powell), the agency’s Homeland Security Policy Council, and
the Chief, Enforcement Bureau.   James A. Dailey, a 31-year FCC veteran, has been
named Director of the Office.

In addition, the Office will be responsible for rulemaking proceedings relating to
the Emergency Alert System and will oversee operation of the Commission’s 24-hour
Communications and Crisis Management Center and its Emergency Operations Center,
functions that are currently handled in the Enforcement Bureau’s Technical and
Public Safety Division.

Prior to his appointment, Mr. Dailey served as Deputy Chief of the Enforcement
Bureau’s Technical and Public Safety Division and as Senior Advisor to the FCC’s
Homeland Security Policy Council.   He has served in various capacities within the
FCC, including Deputy Regional Director of the South Central Region.   Mr. Dailey,
who joined the FCC in 1972 as an Investigator in the FCC’s Norfolk, Virginia Field
Office, also served as District Director of the FCC’s Kansas City Field Office for
17 years. 
Mr. Dailey received a M.A. in Telecommunications Management from Webster
University, Kansas City, Missouri and a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the
State University in New York at Buffalo.  

Action by the Commission July 9, 2003, by Order (FCC 03-167).  

-FCC-

For additional information contact Linda Blair at (202) 418-7450.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-236436A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/