Subject: [NEXTEL-1] University of Utah Study Targets Cell Phones, Alcohol, Driving

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:14:34 -0400

University of Utah Study Targets Cell Phones, Alcohol, Driving

University of Utah researchers conducted a study to determine the dangers that
distractions, such as cell phones and alcohol pose when driving. Results from the
study indicate that cell phones pose a greater distraction than driving drunk. The
study, which reviewed 41 test subjects on a multi-lane highway driving simulator,
found that when drivers were using cell phones, either hand held or hands free,
they were involved in more rear-end collisions than when they were legally drunk.
However, a Howard University study estimates that 2,600 auto crash deaths per year
can be attributed to cell phone usage, and 17,419 people died last year in
alcohol-related crashes. Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association
spokeswoman Kimberly Kuo, cites such numbers in disputing the Utah study's
conclusion that cell phones are as dangerous as drunk driving. "If you look at the
facts and not a simulator, you would not come to that conclusion," she said.
(Source: Mercury News)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/