Subject: [NEXTEL-1] McCaw Leads NextNet Round of Funding; Existing Investors Team with McCaw for Broadband Wireless Market Expansion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:35:02 -0400

McCaw Leads NextNet Round of Funding; Existing Investors Team with McCaw for
Broadband Wireless Market Expansion
July 22, 2003 6:02am
Business Wire

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 22, 2003--NextNet Wireless, Inc. ("NextNet"),
the industry's most widely deployed provider of non-line-of-sight (NLOS) broadband
wireless access systems, announced today that it has raised an additional round of
funding that will allow the company to expand its markets, deployments, and
product offerings. COM Holdings, LLC, a private company controlled by Craig O.
McCaw, led the round, with existing NextNet investors DCM-Doll Capital Management,
Green Ventures, Globespan Capital Partners, Joseph Costello and others
participating. Terms and size of the funding round were not disclosed.

Regarded as a pioneer and leader in the wireless communications industry, McCaw
has been an active entrepreneur and investor for over 30 years. Through his
private investment company, McCaw is a significant shareholder in Nextel
Communications, Inc., ICO Global Communications (Holdings) Limited, and Nextel
Partners, Inc. In addition, McCaw has made investments in various venture stage
communications companies. McCaw previously served as Chairman and Chief Executive
Officer of McCaw Cellular Communications, Inc., which he built into the nation's
leading provider of cellular services in more than 100 U.S. cities, until the
company was sold to AT&T Corporation in August 1994.

"NextNet provides a compelling solution for the growing demand for broadband
communications. I am excited by the prospects, opportunities and challenges that
lie ahead for NextNet," stated McCaw. "NextNet will be a leading player in the
broadband wireless industry and we are pleased to publicly announce our investment
in NextNet," McCaw added.

"It is a great honor for each and every member of the NextNet team to announce
this round of funding. The addition of McCaw, a recognized industry leader, as an
investor is an excellent endorsement of NextNet, our products, our technology, and
our employees," stated NextNet President and CEO Guy J. Kelnhofer III. "On an
equally important note, the broad participation of our existing investors in this
funding round is another affirmation of our Company, our industry leadership, and
the opportunities we are working to realize in the future," Kelnhofer added.

Kelnhofer went on to say, "We continue to diligently execute on our business plan
with focused determination. We are thrilled with McCaw's participation, the
additional funding round, and NextNet's future prospects."

NextNet's Expedience™ NLOS broadband wireless system is an IP-based network that
supports delivery of all IP compatible broadband applications. These applications
include the delivery of both voice and data services such as IP telephony and
video streaming and conferencing. Expedience OFDM system products are available to
address the needs of SOHO, SME, and MDU broadband markets.

The Expedience system is currently deployed in cities throughout Asia, Africa,
North America, Latin America, Mexico and the Caribbean. NextNet provides wireless
carriers with proven superiority in the critical areas of coverage, capacity and
capital cost, allowing for rapid penetration into the untapped business and
residential markets. The company's flexible OFDM-based platform delivers
consistent broadband speeds across NLOS cell radiuses of up to 30 km, using
indoor, plug-and-play (self-installable) subscriber units, as well as convenient
outdoor (bracket-mount) NLOS subscriber units. The flexible Expedience base
station weighs just 16 kg, and mounts easily to a pole, tower, building rooftop or
standard indoor rack.

For more information on NextNet commercial installations in urban, suburban and
rural locations, please contact [email-masked]

About NextNet® Wireless, Inc.

NextNet Wireless is the industry's most widely deployed provider of
non-line-of-sight (NLOS) plug-and-play broadband wireless access systems.
NextNet's OFDM-based Expedience™ system provides telecommunications carriers with
turnkey solutions for rapid, low-cost deployment of high-speed, two-way voice and
data services over the "last mile" of the communications network. The Expedience
system is deployed in over 20 markets globally, including the world's largest NLOS
plug-and-play deployment in Mexico, covering 70 million potential business and
residential subscribers nationwide.

NextNet is the recipient of seven industry technical awards for delivering NLOS
service to under-served urban, suburban and rural markets. NextNet's primary
investors include Craig O. McCaw, DCM-Doll Capital Management, Enterasys
(NYSE:ETS) (formerly Cabletron Systems), Globespan Capital Partners, Star Ventures
and others. Contact: Barbara Heine, Director, Marketing Communications;
[email-masked]; Tel: 952-967-1116; Fax: 952-929-4080 or visit
www.nextnetwireless.com.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR20030722290.2_d511001ee89d439d

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nHYuCC/ca0FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/