Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi devices should catch hot spots in 2 years

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:59:11 -0400

Wi-Fi devices should catch hot spots in 2 years
July 25 12:32:00, 2003

LONDON—The gap is widening between the number of Wi-Fi end-user devices and the
number of commercial Wi-Fi hot spots, but the devices should catch up within the
next two years, according to two new studies from Juniper Research.

“The imbalance that we see now will be damaging to the survival of some of the
weaker hot-spot providers and will no doubt continue to inhibit the
revenue-generation capability of the sector as a whole,” said Juniper’s Alan
Stewart. “We do believe, however, that a critical mass of devices will be reached
within a two-year timeframe. Our forecasts for the sector in the medium term
continues to be strong.”

Juniper believes 10,450 live commercial hot spots were in service at the end of
June 2003 and forecasts that number will jump to 40,650 by the end of 2003. The
group expects 41 million Wi-Fi chipset shipments by the end of this year and
predicts the commercial hot-spot sector will generate $1.3 billion by 2006.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14443

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/