Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Digital Television and 3G

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:37:06 -0400

Digital Television and 3G
10th July 2003

Europe : The European Commission adopted
today, at the initiative of Commissioner Erkki
Liikanen responsible for Information Society and
Enterprise, a Communication on interoperability
of Information Society services. With the more
general aim of detecting the barriers to a wide
access to new technologies, this
Communication addresses the issue of
promoting open technological platforms for
third-generation mobile communications (3G)
and digital television, as requested by the
Barcelona Summit and the Seville Council.
These technologies could play a key role in
future in providing widespread access to the
Internet and to interactive services.
The Communication identifies follow-up
measures for Member States. It also
foresees in the long term a
“multi-platform environment” emerging
which will deliver advanced information
society services in a complementary way.

The guiding vision of an “Information Society for All” is to make electronic
services an every-day reality for all citizens, and to bring everyone
(administrations, businesses, citizens, homes and schools) into the digital age.

Erkki Liikanen, European Commissioner responsible for Enterprise and the
Information Society remarked: “we know that our digital communications platforms
like 3G and digital TV will be able in future to deliver virtually any electronic
and Information Society service. We also know that because not all platforms are
the same, the precise capabilities of each delivery platform will differ, and
individual consumers will use their services differently. To maximise the choice
for consumers and provide flexibility for the market, open platforms for digital
television and 3G mobile will be a key part of the commercial picture.”
In this Communication on interoperability of services, the European Commission
addresses “Barriers to widespread access to new IT services and applications of
the information society through open platforms in digital television and third
generation mobile communications”. The document analyses how providing services
over interconnected networks can involve the use of proprietary technology at the
interfaces between services and applications and therefore have an impact on
consumer choice.
The Commission identifies the voluntary moves on the part of industry to achieve
interoperability in 3G. It also presents the measures adopted in Community
legislation to foster interoperability in interactive digital TV services.

The Communication confirms that this area is evolving rapidly so it is important
to follow developments closely and that in future, digital television and 3G could
play a key role in providing widespread access to the internet and to interactive
services.
Challenges

With this Communication, the European Commission identifies several challenges to
the successful deployment of digital terrestrial television, including the
management of switchover from analogue to digital transmission, as well as the
creation of attractive interactive services and viable business models. Digital
satellite and cable television also need to maximise the range of services on
offer. It is too soon to predict whether the current levels of TV penetration
might be indicative of the potential for success of digital TV platforms for
delivering interactive services. Other factors, related to consumer trust, the
availability of desirable services and content, and a clear regulatory environment
in which companies operate, are needed for a successful information society for
all.

The Communication identifies follow-up measures both for Member States and the
Commission services in the areas of regulation, research, support for private
sector activities and measures to ensure access to the Information Society for the
disabled

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/July2003/5608.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Natural Vitamins for Good Prostate & Male Health. $28.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2865&lp=prosta2.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/qJIe0D/89VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/