Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Goofs, Admits It (Imagine that!)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:18:04 -0400

From: "FCC Daily Digest"
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:50:23 -0400
Subject: Daily Digest - 07/03/2003
Vol. 22 No. 127  July 3, 2003

 AMATEUR RADIO STATION LICENSE OF RICHARD L. SMITH TO MODIFY THE CALL
SIGN OF AMATEUR STATION KC4USH.   Modified the Amateur Radio Station
license of Richard L. Smith by changing the call sign from KC4USH to
KG4UKV. Action by:  Chief, Public Safety and Private Wireless Division,
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. Adopted:  07/02/2003 by MO&O. (DA
No. 03-2183).  WTB
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2183A1.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2183A1.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2183A1.txt> 

-------------------------------
[TEXT: Sender not responsible for formatting errors. See Web link,
above.]

 Federal  Communications  Commission 
 Before  the  Federal  Communications  Commission 
 Washington,  D.  C.  20554 
 In  the  Matter  of 
 Amateur  Radio  Station  License  of  Richard  L.  Smith  to  Modify 
the 
 Call  Sign  of  Amateur  Station  KC4USH 

 )  ) 
 )  )  DA  03-  2183
 ) 

 File  No.  0000993298 

 MEMORANDUM  OPINION  AND  ORDER 
 Adopted:  July  2,  2003  Released:  July  3,  2003 
 By  the  Chief,  Public  Safety  and  Private  Wireless  Division, 
Wireless  Telecommunications  Bureau: 

 1.  On  August  31,  2002,  the  Licensing  and  Technical  Analysis 
Branch  (Branch)  of  the  Public  Safety  and  Private  Wireless 
Division  incorrectly  granted  the  captioned  application,  which 
requested  that  the  call  sign  KC4USH  be  assigned  to  the  Amateur 
Radio  Station  of  Richard  L.  Smith  (Smith)  as  a  vanity  call 
sign.  To  correct  this  error,  we  propose  to  modify  Smith’s 
amateur  radio  station  license  to  show  the  call  sign  KG4UKV, 
which  was  the  call  sign  assigned  to  Smith’s  amateur  station 
prior  to  the  grant  of  the  captioned  application. 

 2.  By  way  of  background,  we  note  that  all  amateur  station 
call  signs  from  the  call  sign  block  KC4USA  through  KC4USZ  have 
been  made  available  to  the  Department  of  the  Navy  for  the  use 
of  amateur  stations  at  U.  S.  Navy  Antarctic  stations.  1  Because
 Smith’s  present  call  sign,  KC4USH,  is  one  of  the  call  signs 
that  may  be  used  only  by  amateur  stations  in  the  Antarctic,  2 
the  Branch  should  not  have  granted  the  captioned  application.  To
 correct  this  error,  we  propose  to  exchange  KC4USH  with  the 
call  sign  previously  assigned  to  Smith’s  amateur  radio  station, 
(KG4UKV). 

 3.  We  believe  that  Section  316(  a)(  1)  of  the  Communications 
Act  of  1934,  as  amended  (the  Act),  provides  the  appropriate 
vehicle  for  resolving  this  matter.  3  Section  316(  a) permits  the
 Commission  to  modify  a  station  license  if  the  action  will 
promote  the  public  interest, 

	1  See  Letter  dated  July  21,  1959,  from  Secretary,  Federal 
Communications  Commission,  to  Dr.  T.  O.  Jones,  Office 
 of  Special  International  Programs,  National  Science  Foundation 
(NSF)  (making  available  to  NSF  the  call  sign  block  KC4AAA- 
KC4AAF  and  reciting  conditions  applicable  to  use  of  the  call 
sign  block  KC4USA-  KC4USZ  by  the  U.  S.  Navy.)
	2  See  Public  Notice  “FCC  Announces  Amateur  Station  Call  Sign 
Assignment  System”  Mimeo  No.  98607  (released  Mar.  30,  1978) 
(call  signs  not  assignable  to  amateur  stations  by  the  FCC: 
KC4AAA-  KC4AAF  and  KC4USA-KC4USZ) and 
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/amateur/callsigns/vanity/index.html#2 
(the  following  call  signs  are  not  available  for  assignment: 
KC4AAA-  KC4AAF  and  KC4USA-  KC4USZ.) 
	3  47  U.  S.  C.  §  316(  a)(  1). 

 1-------------------------------
 Federal  Communications  Commission  DA  03-  2183 
 2 

 convenience,  and  necessity.  4  In  this  connection,  we  note  that 
the  proposed  modification  would  serve  the  public  interest  by 
ensuring  that  the  call  sign  block  KC4USA-  KC4USZ  is  only  used 
to  identify  amateur  stations  that  are  located  at  U.  S.  Navy 
Antarctic  stations. 

 4.  In  accordance  with  Section  97.27(  b)  of  the  Commission’s 
Rules,  5  we  will  not  issue  a  modification  order  until  Smith 
has  received  notice  of  our  proposed  action  and  has  had  an 
opportunity  to  file  a  protest.  To  protest  the  modification, 
Smith  must,  within  thirty  days  of  the  release  date  of  this 
Memorandum  Opinion  and  Order,  submit  a  written  statement  with 
sufficient  evidence  to  show  that  the  modification  would  not  be 
in  the  public  interest.  The  protest  must  be  filed  with  the 
Office  of  the  Secretary,  Federal  Communications  Commission,  445 
Twelfth  Street,  S.  W.,  Room  TW-  A325,  Washington,  DC  20554.  6 
If  no  protest  is  filed,  Smith  will  have  waived  his  right  to 
protest  the  modification  and  will  be  deemed  to  have  consented 
to  the  modification. 

 5.  ACCORDINGLY,  IT  IS  PROPOSED,  pursuant  to  Sections  4(  i)  and
 316  of  the  Communications  Act  of  1934,  as  amended,  47  U.  S. 
C.  §§  154(  i),  316,  and  Sections  1.87  and  97.27  of  the 
Commission’s  Rules,  47  C.  F.  R.  §§  1.87,  97.27,  that  the 
Amateur  Radio  Station  license  of  Richard  L.  Smith  BE  MODIFIED 
by  changing  the  call  sign  from  KC4USH  to  KG4UKV. 

 6.  IT  IS  FURTHER  ORDERED  that  this  Memorandum  Opinion  and 
Order  shall  be  served  by  certified  mail,  return  receipt 
requested,  to  Richard  L.  Smith,  509  Homestead  Road,  Chesapeake, 
Virginia  23321. 

 7.  This  action  is  taken  under  delegated  authority  pursuant  to 
Sections  0.131  and  0.331  of  the  Commission’s  Rules,  47  C.  F. 
R.  §§  0.131,  0.331. 

 FEDERAL  COMMUNICATION  COMMISSION 

 D’wana  R.  Terry  Chief,  Pubic  Safety  and  Private  Wireless 
Division 
 Wireless  Telecommunications  Bureau 

	4  Id. 
	5  47  C.  F.  R.  §  97.27(  b). 
	6  The  address  for  FCC  locations  should  be  used  only  for 
documents  filed  by  United  States  Postal  Service  first-  class 
 mail,  Express  Mail,  and  Priority  Mail.  Hand-  delivered  or 
messenger-  delivered  documents  for  the  Commission's  Secretary  are 
accepted  only  at  our  new  location  at  236  Massachusetts  Avenue, 
N.  E.,  Suite  110,  Washington,  D.  C.  20002.  Other  messenger- 
delivered  documents,  including  documents  sent  by  overnight  mail 
(other  than  United  States  Postal  Service,  Express  Mail,  and 
Priority  Mail)  should  be  addressed  for  delivery  to  9300  East 
Hampton  Drive,  Capitol  Heights,  MD  20743.  See  FCC  Announces  a 
New  Filing  Location  for  Paper  Documents  and  a  New  Fax  Number 
for  General  Correspondence,  Public  Notice,  16  FCC  Rcd  22165 
(2001). 

2
-------------------------------

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:56:23 -0400

I know- Shocking!

[email-masked] wrote:

>  1-------------------------------

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->