Subject: [NEXTEL-1] South Dakota Equipment Sales Rep Killed During Air Bag Demonstration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:55:40 -0400

Updated: 07-14-2003 09:10:48 AM

South Dakota Equipment Sales Rep Killed During Air Bag Demonstration
............ INEZ FORD

Firehouse.com News

An accident during a rescue air bag demonstration has caused the death of factory
representative, who was also a South Dakota volunteer firefighter. Nathan Hamro,
50, of Sioux Falls, was giving a demonstration that involved air bags lifting
heavy machinery and vehicles, to members of the Dell Rapids, Colton and Baltic
fire departments Thursday night when the accident happened, officials said. Hamro
worked for Heiman Brothers Company, a firefighting equipment distributor, in Sioux
Falls, KELO reported.

While Hamro was using "three airbags to lift a 90-ton loader," the weight shifted,
causing some type of failure, what some described as an "explosion." Hamro, who
was 5 to 10 feet away at the time, suffered massive head injuries when an airbag
was thrust into his upper body, Sgt. Preston Evans of the Minnehaha County
Sheriff's Department said.
Firefighters participating in the training demonstration of the newly acquired
airbags immediately rushed to Hamro's aid, but he was pronounced dead the
following morning at an area hospital.

Hamro was a volunteer firefighter with the Renner Fire Department.

Several of the approximately 30-40 firefighters present at the demonstration were
also treated for temporary hearing loss.
Minnehaha County and federal investigators spent Friday trying to figure out what
went wrong, KELO reported.
Minnehaha County Sheriff Mike Milstead told KELO, "It was an instantaneous event
where the air bags went out from underneath the vehicle. We don't know at this
point if they popped while they were under the vehicle or broke loose and flew. "
The building itself, the LG Everist Quarry in the east side of Dell Rapids, was
also damaged from the incident. The airbags rapidly propelled in the air, wrecking
the ceiling, and causing thousands of dollars in structural damage. Investigators
are continuing to look into the matter.

The company Hamro was working for, as well as the manufacturer of the air bags,
was not immediately available. An investigation into the accident was continuing.

====================================================================================

Updated: 07-20-2003 10:03:14 PM

Fatal South Dakota Air Bag Demo Under Investigation
............ INEZ FORD

Firehouse.com News

Officials are continuing to investigate the death of volunteer South Dakota
firefighter Nathan Hamro.
Hamro, 50, of Sioux Falls, was giving a demonstration July 11 that involved air
bags lifting heavy machinery and vehicles. During the demonstration, Hamro was
using three airbags to lift a large piece of construction equipment when the
weight shifted, causing what some described as an explosion.

Hamro, who was five to 10 feet away at the time, suffered massive head injuries
when an airbag was thrust into his upper body, according to Sgt. Preston Evans of
the Minnehaha County Sheriff's Department. Hamro was immediately rushed to an area
hospital, and was pronounced dead the following morning.

The Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Department and the Occupational Safety & Health
Administration (OSHA) are currently handling the investigation. Sgt. Marty
Letexier of the sheriff’s department told Firehouse.com that according to
preliminary evidence, “I do not believe that the equipment malfunctioned”. He also
stressed that it is still very early into the investigation, and more work will be
done before officials have any concrete answers.

Firehouse.com also contacted Res Q Tek, the manufacturer of the airbags Hamro was
demonstating. Vice President William R. Latta said, “Res Q Tek is sincerely sorry
to hear about the death of Firefighter Hamro. We went to South Dakota to speak to
officials in person. Res Q Tek is fully cooperating with investigators in this
matter”. Latta also told Firehouse.com that “Res Q Tek is considering launching
our own personal investigation into the matter”. Further details of the
investigation will be posted on Firehouse.com as they are made available.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=15417

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/