Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FEDERAL DISTRICT COURT ORDERS CIVIL JUDGMENT AGAINST RICHARD I. ROWLAND FOR UNLICENSED RADIO OPERATION

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:13:18 -0400

FEDERAL DISTRICT COURT ORDERS CIVIL JUDGMENT AGAINST RICHARD I. ROWLAND FOR
UNLICENSED RADIO OPERATION

Washington, D.C. - Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced
that, in the United States Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division, United
States District Judge, Honorable Gregory A. Presnell, granted judgment in favor of
the United States to collect a civil penalty against Defendant Richard I.
Rowland.  The court ordered judgment against Rowland in the amount of $10,000 plus
costs.

The judgment is the result of an investigation that began in May of 2000.  The
Commission’s Tampa, Florida Field Office received a complaint of an unlicensed
broadcast station operating in the Longwood, Florida area.  Commission agents
determined that Rowland operated an unlicensed radio station on the frequency 97.1
MHz from a Longwood, Florida address on numerous dates in the year 2000.
Rowland’s unlicensed radio operation led to the seizure by U.S. Marshals and
Commission agents of his radio station equipment in 2001.  In addition, the
Enforcement Bureau imposed a $10,000 monetary forfeiture on Rowland for multiple
violations of operating an unlicensed FM radio facility, in violation of Title 47,
United States Code, Section 301.  After Rowland refused to pay the forfeiture, the
Commission filed suit for collection through the United States Attorney in federal
district court.  The case was brought by the United States Attorney’s Office,
Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division.

The operation of an unlicensed broadcast station is a violation of Section 301 of
the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.  Operators of unlicensed stations may
be subject to civil monetary forfeitures of up to $11,000 per single violation or
per day of a continuing violation not to exceed $87,500 for continuing
violations.  In addition, unlicensed operators may be subject to criminal
sanctions, including a maximum $10,000 fine and up to one year imprisonment for a
first offense.

- FCC -

Enforcement Bureau Contact: Lisa M. Fowlkes at (202) 418-7450 / TTY 1(888)
835-5322

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/