Subject: [NEXTEL-1] North America Telemarketing Industry Takes FCC To Court Over 'Do Not Call'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:38:21 -0400

North America   Telemarketing Industry Takes FCC To Court Over 'Do Not Call'

Telemarketers expanded their legal challenge to the government's do-not-call list,
suing a second federal agency over the call-blocking service for consumers that
the industry says will devastate business and cost up to two million jobs. The
free government registry for blocking telephone sales pitches has grown to more
than 28 million numbers since it was opened on June 27, according to the Federal
Trade Commission (FTC), which operates the service. The FTC has predicted
registration to grow to 60 million numbers by next summer. The American
Teleservices Association, an industry group that sued the FTC in January to stop
the list, asked the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver to reject new
regulations set by FCC. The FCC added its authority to the list to close
regulatory loopholes and block calls from certain industries, including airlines,
banks and telephone companies. People who sign up this summer should see a
decrease in telemarketing calls after the FTC begins enforcing the list October 1.
The service will block about 80 percent of the calls, the FTC said. Reported by
The Wall Street Journal.  See www.fastNetworkNOW.com for additional details.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/