Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SDR Marches Forward-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:46:24 -0400

SDR Marches Forward-

PrismTech Delivers Middleware Solution for Digital Signal Processor -DSP-
Environments

Business Editors/High-Tech Writers

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 9, 2003--

OpenFusion e*ORB C-RT Edition now provides real-time, ultra low footprint embedded
CORBA Solution for JTRS Software Defined
Radio (SDR) designers on DSP platforms

PrismTech, a leading vendor of distributed software infrastructure, today
announced that the very small size of its new OpenFusion e*ORB C Edition (CE), and
especially OpenFusion e*ORB C-Real-Time (RT) Edition, now enables it to deliver a
minimum, real-time CORBA and POSIX compliant middleware solution to users of
Digital Signal Processor (DSP) environments such as Joint Tactical Radio System
(JTRS) Software Defined Radio (SDR) efforts.

SDR has been a key goal of the signal and communications industry as well as the
intelligence and defense community for some time now. SDRs provide control over a
variety of modulation techniques, wide-band or narrow band operation,
communications security functions and waveform requirements of current and
evolving standards over a broad frequency range. SDRs have a number of advantages
over traditional hardware radios, however interoperability has been a primary
issue particularly in the defense industry against their take-up. To address this
issue initiatives such as the U.S. Joint Tactical Radio Systems (JTRS) program
were started.

In addition to interoperability, SDR requirements for defense applications also
include the need for a competitively priced solution with minimal setup time and
low maintenance. These goals are now achievable by exploiting the
performance/power potential of modern DSP devices. By harnessing the benefits of
this new generation of DSP devices, users can build small, highly efficient
configurable low cost solutions with minimal frequency selective components.
It has been recognized by industry experts that if CORBA middleware can be placed
on a DSP then SDR developers can achieve a number of significant benefits
including:

--  Power consumption in battery-operated devices can be optimized as where tasks
run can now be re-balanced between the General Purpose Processor (GPP) and the
DSP.
--  Lower cost radios, as design time decisions that locked radio developers into
extremely costly design, implementation, and test cycles when re-balancing the
object distribution on the radio may now be done on the fly.
--  Fault Tolerant CORBA enables a more robust and resilient device capable of
operating in harsher and even more severe conditions.
--  The acceptance testing and hence delivery time of future SDR implementations
will be reduced due to the fact that it will be easier to reconfigure the device.

Traditional thinking would suggest that due to the nature of its highly restricted
environment it is not possible to run CORBA on a DSP and until now CORBA has only
ever been deployed in conventional GPP based environments.

OpenFusion e*ORB's unique modular micro-kernal architecture combined with the
realization of other advanced design goals such as a reduced code (and even data)
segment has enabled it to become the first ORB ported to a DSP environment. Its
footprint has been reduced over successive iterations and optimized to enable it
to function successfully on a DSP. Its minimal CPU instructions per KB of data
transmitted characteristic, now perfectly position it as the ideal candidate for
the new small form factor, low power, lightweight community of DSP devices such as
JTRS handhelds and 3G wireless cellphones. For example General Dynamics Digital
Modular Radio being used by the US Navy has the OpenFusion e*ORB core on an Analog
Devices' SHARC product running the LIBeRTy RTOS kernel.

"The new improved OpenFusion e*ORB C and C-RT Editions coupled with our
lightweight highly flexible and adaptive low footprint CORBA Services
implementations will enable any of our JTRS customers to now deliver radio
platforms that can be simultaneously SCA, CORBA and POSIX compliant without paying
a memory footprint, size/weight or power consumption penalty of any sort," said
Dr. Shahzad Aslam-Mir, Product Manager, PrismTech. "We are also working on
complementary tools to accelerate development of core frameworks and more
importantly waveforms over our CORBA platforms."
This DSP realization of CORBA also paves the way for other industries which use
DSP for pure signal processing or transducer elements to gain the same benefits of
lighter, cheaper products with reduced time to market e.g. medical imaging
(ultrasound), geological exploration equipment, robotics, machine vision, and
large scale systems employing multi-sensor data fusion (MSDF).

Further information on OpenFusion e*ORB for DSP's is available on PrismTech's
website at:

http://www.prismtechnologies.com/English/Products/CORBA/eORB/faqs
_eorb_dps.html

(Due to the length of this URL, it may be necessary to copy and paste this
hyperlink into your Internet browser's URL address field.)

Notes for Editors

About PrismTech

PrismTech develops and markets the OpenFusion range of distributed software
infrastructure products. OpenFusion provides leadership in advanced technology,
connectivity and cost of ownership for both Java and CORBA environments.
PrismTech's reputation for delivering high quality, reliable, scaleable and
performant software is reflected in our world-class customer base in the
telecommunications, defense and financial services markets. For additional
information about PrismTech, visit the web site at
http://www.prismtechnologies.com.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Natural Vitamins for Good Prostate & Male Health. $28.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2865&lp=prosta2.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/qJIe0D/89VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/