Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] FMIPv6 protocol changes

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:55:20 +0200

> How could you have a protocol to properly support network controlled
> handover without having it interacting with FMIP operation? As soon as a
> MN considers handoff, it should be reminded that the PAR and NAR may not
> belong two same administrative control or access network type. Therefore
> the Fast handoff mechanism can not just be blind with regards to this
> consideration. So, a network controlled handover protocol should be
> tought at for being carried by FMIPv6 for instancce.
>

I don't understand your point.

The problem is, all the network controlled handover work for the past 3
years is based on pure speculation. Nobody has matched up the requirements
for a real, implemented network controlled L2 protocol against FMIP, like
Pete McCann did with 802.11, which is mobile controlled. Any inclusion of
network controlled handover in the FMIPv6 specification at this point will
continue to be pure speculation, and therefore subject to radical change or
even being dropped and re-invented when a real L2 protocol that does network
controlled handover comes along that needs IP handover support. None of the
network controlled L2 protocols (primarily cellular) currently need FMIP,
because they handle fast handover of IP in proprietary ways. So why not
simplify the protocol by dropping support for network controlled handover
until an L2 protocol comes along that can use it?

            jak