Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell phones could prevent cancer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:56:51 -0400

Cell phones could prevent cancer

The Japanese company, Macnica has shown off a UV light detector that is no bigger
than a grain of rice, at Tokyo's Embedded Systems Expo & Conference (ESEC). The UV
detector has been developed at the behest of an unknown cell phone manufacturer,
ostensibly to include a UV monitoring service in the handset. With rising concerns
about the risks of cancer from UV rays, not to mention the phones themselves, it
seems that the manufacturer is trying to make doubly sure they cannot be blamed
for rising cancer rates by trying to prevent sun burn as well.

The sensor is sensitive to a wavelength range of 270nm to 410nm (UV-A and UV-B
waves). Having almost no sensitivity to visible light, it does not work as a light
sensor - so cannot be used to automatically switch cameras in cell phones to
"night mode".
Macnica already has begun shipping samples of the UV sensor, which it believes is
the worlds smallest sensor that responds to UV-A and UV-B waves alone. Mass
production should begin by year end, according to the company.

Posted to the site on 16-Jul-03
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9287.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/