Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Recording Systems

From: "John Marcel (K1FDD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:41:56 -0000

Our Fire Department utilizes NexTels for administrative & some secure 
communications. However, they will not allow dispatch to have one 
because they do not want "operational" traffic on the NexTels and 
also becuase they do not have a means to record tranmissions from 
dispatch on it.

Obviously the operational issue is internal, but are there any 
systems that can tie the NexTel phone into an existing recording 
system.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John Marcel/K1FDD
Concord, NH Fire Dispatch

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:36:55 -0400

Apparently, you are only using the Direct Call, one to one feature.

There is no way to connect a recorder to another radio and have it record
those conversations.

If one of the units was a base unit connected to a console via a remote
adapter (made by Zetron) you could possibly record it with the console's
recording system.

Someone else here may have a clever idea that did not occur to me.

Rik Rasmussen
Communications Maintenance Adminstrator
City of Durham, NC

---

From: "Steve S. Bosshard \(NU5D\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:24:12 -0500

Years ago we placed a cassette recorder in an ambulance tied to a vehicular radio (VOX) - perhaps a recorder could be tied to the earphone jack - if they have such a thing - otherwise a mounted Nextel??? - don't know if they exist any longer.

ssb

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Rik Rasmussen 

   
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:28:24 -0700

John,

Using cellular radios, including Nextel, for public safety purposes is
NOT a good choice for dozens of reasons, including your requirement.

Even when one of the imitations of pubic safety push to talk services is
used, the differences are technically and operationally much different.

It is not as simple as connecting to to a handset speaker because there
is no version that allows you to monitor messages being sent to other
individual handsets. Even when push to talk 'groups' are used, you would
have to have a different handset programmed into each talk group to be
sure you recordered simulatneous group conversations.

Under mormal Nextel contracts, you would also increase everyone groups
talk time to the agencies monthly billing. (In Nextel groups, you get
charged even if you don't talk).

Also keep in mind several other cellular companies will providing push
to talk service soon and your agency may elect another less expensive
cellular company.

A large investment to accomodate the many limitaions of the current
Nextel serivice could turn out to be a waste of money.

Even the Nextel handsets you buy today may be obsoleted when Nextel
incorprates E-911 capabilities the FCC is forcing them to implement
soon.

Talk to your OWN independent technical consultant or engineer about
this.  

NEVER ever rely solely on what Nextel tells you, they have one and only
one objective: make as much money off of your agency anyway they can.
And that's to be expected of a profit making corporation.

Jack Daniel
=====================
   
John Marcel (K1FDD) wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:32:30 -0500

John Marcel? You mean we got another Marcel?

John - if the only concern for dispatch is that their conversations be 
recorded then attach a recorder to the dispatcher's handset. That will 
capture what the dispatcher says along with any replies. If the 
dispatcher's console is already being recorded then patch the iDEN phone 
into the console. Anythiing said or heard will be recorded. The dispatch 
Nextel handset shouldn't leave the dispatch area - obviously.

In a few years these handsets with have enough memory to record 
everything said - but that's another story.

-rick

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:46:38 -0000

The only way that I can see that it can be brought to a conventional 
resource is to utilize a product like the ACU1000, patch the NEXTEL 
group audio to the recorder that would be on one of the other ports.

Granted, it would be expensive but it could work although, like 
others have expressed on the board, its not a smart idea to utilize 
NEXTEL for ANY tatical communications.

Mark KS4VT
800 MHz Sys. Czar
PBC, FL

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:02:30 -0400

There is no GROUP audio. (talking real world here, not theoretical)

The conversations are Direct Connect one-to-one. A radio connected to the
ACU1000 would not hear the audio, and thus could not provide it to a
recorder.

When discussing Nextel, you have to think outside the box, way outside.

==========================================
Henrik "Rik" Rasmussen
Editor: Two Way Radio Directory:
The Two Way Radio Directory has links to hundreds of industry related web
pages.
The Directory Bookstore has a great selection of radio books at good
discounts.
Visit now at http://twowayradiodirectory.com/

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 7:47 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Recording Systems
>
>

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:45:27 -0000

Sure they can create a group transmission on a NEXTEL.  They just 
have to pay extra for all of the subscribers in the group.

Mark

--- In [email-masked], "Rik Rasmussen" <hrasmussen@n...> 
wrote:
> > From: Mark [mailto:KS4VT@a...]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:16:36 -0400

That is why I said "talking real world here, not theoretical" because the
group size is limited and the cost is prohibitive.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:41:43 -0400

Which phone are they using?

TSS makes slick interface for  i1000, i1000+, i2000, i500+, i550+, i700+ (they
prob have one for the newer phones) that records both sides of the conversation.
You have the option to even use an external Mic or ear bud.  It is built inside
Motorola's Audio Adapter. It looks very similar to this.

http://www.idenstore.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?V1=301432&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=34196&V5=30008592&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&V2=&V3=&V4=

The adapter is reasonable and has a jumper to match various impedances of voice
loggers. I have seen it used with a console mounted Teac recorder.

They also have a wireless bluetooth version built around moto bluetooth mic. It
also allows recording of both side of the conversation PTT/Interconnect.

TSS also has a stand alone iden receiver that would also work but I don't think it
will be available until Q4. Of course there  is Zetron, VLR  and others who make
adapters for the M370.

http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/BT_REMOTE_SPKR_MIC.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "kr4jx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:07:27 -0000

> Concord, NH Fire Dispatch
John,
Contact your local MSS or Nextel rep,
if your dispatch center uses motorola consoles then there is a 
mobile nextel that can interface with the console, the major 
drawback to this is,
the mobiles currently used do not allow cross-fleet operation.......
the audio is then recorded like any other radio attached to the 
console.
Don

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->