Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell phones could work in planes by next year

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:01:00 -0400

Cell phones could work in planes by next year

AirCell says that it has received notification from the United States Patent
Office that it has allowed a patent on an aircraft telecommunications technology
which will permit passengers to use their personal cell phones while an aircraft
is in-flight. The AirCell technology is a key step toward offering such a service
to the world's airlines.

The AirCell approach is dramatically less complex, lower cost, and more flexible
than any previously identified solution. Ken Jochim, vice president of engineering
and operations at AirCell provided further details, "AirCell's novel approach
dramatically reduces the size, weight, and cost of equipment required to provide
cellular service onboard an aircraft, as compared to earlier approaches referred
to as 'picocells' which involve putting the equivalent of a full terrestrial
cellular base station onboard the aircraft. The patented concepts allow all the
functionality provided to the cellular user in-flight to be controlled by the
network rather than the airborne station, simplifying the addition of features and
migration to future cellular technologies, and it also provides a novel way to
manage the radio frequency environment in the aircraft to prevent interference."

This marks an important milestone for the company, however, rigorous testing will
be required to satisfy the concerns relating to non-interference with terrestrial
cell phone systems and the aircraft's communication and navigation systems.
AirCell has entered into discussions with the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to ensure all requirements are
properly met.
Bill Peltola, AirCell's vice president of sales and marketing said, "With this
positive response to our patent application, AirCell is positioned to lead the
effort to offer airborne cellular services, using personal cell phones on
aircraft. Everything is in place for a successful rollout to the market: a
cost-effective technology is now available, passengers are demanding more
affordable voice and data communications, and the airlines are interested in
offering new value-added services."

The company estimates that it will install and demonstrate the new system aboard
an aircraft early in 2004 and have it certified aboard a commercial air transport
aircraft by mid-2004. Discussions are in process with several key airlines to
finalize plans for a trial program.

Jack Blumenstein, AirCell's chairman and CEO commented, "Over the past several
years, AirCell has been able to assemble an impressive collection of patents,
intellectual property, and cellular know-how. Those achievements are clearing the
way for us to bring about a new era in airborne telephony...convenience of using
your own phone, full voice and data features, and best of all — low cost. We think
the flying public is ready for such an innovative service."

The new patent is the latest addition to the AirCell portfolio of patents, several
of which are also international patents.  The technology contained in these
patents permits AirCell to reuse the cellular frequency band in an airborne
application, the only company in the world to be granted that distinction by the
FCC. In addition to the issued patents, the company has several U.S. and
international patents pending application.

Posted to the site on 15-Jul-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9280.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges & refill kits at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5702
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YrYXfA/AyWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/