Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Launches Security Measures to Protect Emergency Services Radio Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:14:39 -0400

Motorola Launches Security Measures to Protect Emergency Services Radio
Communications
Police Service of Northern Ireland First to Benefit From Trial of High-level

TETRA Encryption

BASINGSTOKE, United Kingdom, July 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola, Inc.
(NYSE: MOT) Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) today
announced the introduction of a new range of security products for TETRA
(TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) digital radio systems that will further protect
emergency services' communications.  The new suite of software products, named
Dimetra SecureNet(TM), provides an important new level of protection against
criminal eavesdropping on communications, impersonating officers on the air and
deliberate clogging of radio systems at crucial times.  Motorola, which was the
first company to deploy TETRA encryption three years ago, have achieved another
milestone by being the first to have Class 3 encryption on trial with the Police
Service of Northern Ireland.  The Police Service of Northern Ireland, who already
have highly secure digital radio communications systems, have upgraded the
protection of their new TETRA communications to Class 3 encryption.  A
spokesperson at the Police Service of Northern Ireland explains: "Security of
communications is essential to our operations and this upgrade to our system which
is currently undergoing installation is part of a programme to give us the most
secure wide area police communications system in the British Isles."

In mainland Britain, 11 police forces using Motorola-supplied TETRA digital radio
communications systems operated by mmO2 Airwave are protected against
eavesdropping by encryption.  Analogue systems used by the remainder of the
emergency services in the UK, consisting of 40 police forces as well as all
ambulance and fire services, do not have the added protection of digital and
encrypted communication and remain vulnerable to eavesdropping via scanning
devices.
Increasingly, criminals are eavesdropping on emergency services to gain advance
warning of action against them, and it is difficult to keep major operations
secret if any of the forces involved are not using encrypted digital radio.  This
can have a major impact on police operations efficiency, as a UK police force
recently discovered when they changed to their new Airwave system and achieved an
immediate positive impact on their success in fighting drug-related crime.

Although ETSI Class 3 encryption has been available for test and demonstration
purposes for some time, Motorola is the first company to roll out ETSI Class 3
encryption in its Dimetra SecureNet system.  The Dimetra SecureNet system uses
embedded encryption measures to protect not just the transmission content, but
also user identities and signalling data.  This means that people using scanners
cannot eavesdrop or track users and cloned radios cannot be used for
misinformation.
Motorola CGISS is recognized as a market leader in digital private mobile radio
technology development and has been awarded more than 600 digital radio contracts
worldwide including more than 60 TETRA contracts in more than 30 countries.
Motorola also is recognized as a the worldwide leader in the supply and
implementation of secure radio systems for police communications with an installed
base in excess of 100,000 encrypted radios.  Today's announcement marks an
important advancement in Motorola's ongoing commitment to TETRA and, in
particular, to providing comprehensive secure solutions to the public safety
market.

About Motorola's Dimetra SecureNet Solution
Motorola offers several levels of security in its Dimetra SecureNet package:

Authentication

Motorola's Dimetra software uses Authentication Keys that perform a "handshake"
between infrastructure and terminals before any user is allowed on the system.
Anyone trying to use unauthenticated radio terminals or infrastructure will be
denied access, preventing imposters using cloned radios from creating
misinformation.
Motorola provides Over the Air Re-keying (OTAR) secure delivery of keys
automatically over the network from its Authentication Centre.  This means that
terminals do not need to be returned to the provider for key change, significantly
reducing management costs.

Encryption

Based on the ETSI Air Interface Encryption standard Class 3, individual, group and
direct TETRA transmissions are protected against eavesdropping.  Control channel
signalling is protected, which prevents Denial of Service attacks and traffic
analysis.

www.mot.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/