Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] "Hot-Spot" Deutsche Telekom shocks wireless world by applying to trademark term

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:32:17 -0400

Are you sure their first question wasn't "What's a resistor?"
Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 2:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] "Hot-Spot" Deutsche Telekom shocks wireless
world by applying to trademark term

It is getting ridiculous-

Remember the little sayings we used to recall values of resistor colors?
Maybe I should trademark this.......

Bad............ 0
Boys .......... 1
R****...........2
Our ............3
Young...........4
Girls...........5
But.............6
Violet..........7
Gives ..........8
Willingly..... .9

I repeated this to a group of new EE's interns the other day and
immediately drew fire from a few females &  males in the group. My Bat
Shield quickly
went up to deflected their verbal assault ( they said it was
"Sexist")........so I asked 2 females and a male to recite the color
codes.

I felt like I was at Radio Shack............. all I got was blank
stares.

Is this what a 100K education is producing today?

Jack Daniel wrote:

> OK, who's going to trademark "wireless" now?
>
> A few years ago I posted my idea of a servicemark for colors. Not the
> name of the color, the USE of the color itself. I'd chose 'green'.
>
> There would be a user fee for every controlled street intersection.
TV's
> without a license to use 'my' color wouldn't be very popular. I could
> own Green Bay if I actually wanted it. Ireland I'd take. I'd give a
> multi-user discount to the army. Being a socially conscious
corporation,
> I would donate all foliage to the people and use it's market value as
a
> tax write-off. Even the money used to pay me would also have to have a
> license.  And when I got tired of being the jolly green giant, I'd
sell
> out to Nextel and they could become the green eyed monster.
>
> ====================================================

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:20:45 -0400

Actually the first question was how do you identify the polarity of a resistor?
The women knew the boys laughed and said by the "Gold Band".

Now in the LAB they knew their stuff all were savvy on latest HP & General Dynamics stuff.

In real life................God help us.

---

From: "Paul J. Zawada" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:46:08 -0500

>  > Is this what a 100K education is producing today?

I've heard various politically correct mnemonic devices for this over 
the years, but I can never remember any of them... I always come back 
to the "Bad Boys..." saying my dad taught me when I became old enough 
to hear such things.  :-)

Don't forget the saying for the Western Electric (telco cable) color code:

Bell........Blue
Operators........Orange
Give.........Green
Better........Brown
Service........Slate (A real telecom person never refers to the color 
"slate" as grey!)

Why........White
Run.........Red
Backwards........Black
You'll........Yellow
Vomit........Violet

--zawada

-- 
Paul J. Zawada, PE       | Principal Network Research Engineer
[email-masked]          | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 217 649 2233          | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Toner for Your Printer or Fax at LaserTonerSuperstore.com-Save 55%!
We have your brand: HP, IBM, Canon, Xerox, Apple and many more for less!
http://www.LaserTonerSuperstore.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YmQqWC/qicGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->