Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UltraWideBand could hurt WLAN take-up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:02:38 -0400

UltraWideBand could hurt WLAN take-up

West Technology Research Solutions (WTRS), a market research firm focusing solely
on emerging technologies, has announced the availability of their newly updated
analysis that demonstrates that overall dominance of UWB in the high data rate
wireless market place is virtually inevitable.

"Despite its market potential, UWB product release into the market is and will
continue to be incremental, in direct relation to overcoming challenges from those
industries who are concerned with RF interference issues," said Kirsten West, one
of the principals of WTRS. "The throughput potential of UWB being one thousand
times greater than 802.11b, and its attribute of supporting a piconet of unlimited
size, has the very real potential to displace technologies in LANs, PANs, and
ultimately in WANs. A significant number of companies in the technology and
communication industry, notably cellular phone handset manufacturers, are fully
aware of UWB's immense commercial application, anticipating that UWB will create a
wealth of options that likely leave CDMA behind as no longer sufficient."

West estimates that, given a 4% global GDP growth rate, annual shipments for
Ultrawideband chipsets into the communications segment alone will exceed 63
million units by 2007. WTRS forecasts 3 scenarios that are dependent upon global
GDP growth projections. These reflect adoption potential in various markets while
taking into account the nascence of the technology market and its consequent
susceptibility to economic conditions.

11-Jul-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9264.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/