Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel tells NASCAR "NO"!!!

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:36:29 -0000

This is how business WILL BE done!!!

excerpt:
 "NASCAR has been very supportive of us and went to Nextel on our 
behalf and explained to them how critical it is for us to continue 
this existing relationship with AT&T. And the reply back was 'no.' "

NASCAR officials confirmed AT&T's relationship with BAM Racing would 
not be allowed to change or expand beyond what it already enjoys 
with the team.

-----------------
New title sponsor Nextel nixes AT&T deal with BAM Racing

By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer
Posted on Fri, Jul. 11, 2003

JOLIET, Ill. - BAM Racing officials confirmed Friday NASCAR has 
informed them that AT&T will not be allowed to become a full-time 
primary sponsor of their No. 49 Dodges next season.

Cingular Wireless and Alltel, which sponsor the No. 31 Chevrolets of 
Robby Gordon and the No. 12 Dodges of Ryan Newman, respectively, 
were allowed to remain with their teams when Nextel signed a 10-year 
agreement last month to sponsor what is now the Winston Cup series 
beginning in 2004.

AT&T has been an associate with BAM all season and has been a 
primary sponsor on the car for several races. Despite the existing 
relationship, BAM will not be allowed to use AT&T as the primary 
sponsor in 2004.

"Nextel has blocked the ability of AT&T to become primary sponsor on 
a full-time basis next year. We've been informed of that," said BAM 
Racing's general manager, Gus Larkin.

"NASCAR has been very supportive of us and went to Nextel on our 
behalf and explained to them how critical it is for us to continue 
this existing relationship with AT&T. And the reply back was 'no.' "

NASCAR officials confirmed AT&T's relationship with BAM Racing would 
not be allowed to change or expand beyond what it already enjoys 
with the team.

Nextel officials could not be reached for comment.

Larkin said there were three points Nextel sought in order to allow 
AT&T to remain with the team: AT&T marketing personnel would not be 
allowed at tracks; AT&T would be restricted in what products they 
could offer; and the use of the AT&T globe logo would be restricted 
on the car.

Larkin said the third item was the main hang-up in the 
process. "Given those terms, it's hard to do anything on the race 
car," Larkin said.

Team co-owner Tony Morgenthau said he was confused over Nextel's 
reluctance to allow AT&T to remain as a primary sponsor.

"I find it exceedingly hard to believe that Nextel didn't do due 
diligence and realize AT&T didn't have a presence in the series. I 
don't think they really cared," he said.

Morgenthau said the loss of AT&T would be hard on the team, but he 
didn't think it would be a "death blow."

"We have some other prospects. We'll see how it all turns out," he 
said.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/