Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [justnetnews] July 17, 2003 - NLECTC News Summary

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:03:17 -0400

NLECTC Law Enforcement & Corrections Technology News Summary
Thursday, July 17, 2003
                                                      
***************************HEADLINES************************

"Fargo Area Police Look to Nonlethal Weaponry" 

"National Briefing: Illinois: Cameras for High-Crime Areas" 

"Delta Police Investigations Go Digital" 

"Researchers "Privacy Appliance" Seeks to Harness Government
Snooping" 

"Software Searches for Truth in Voice Changes" 

"Crime Lab Brings Closure to Tough Cases" 

"Cybersecurity Laws Expected" 

"Chicago to Install Video Cameras in High-Crime Areas" 

"Handheld Bioterror Detectors in Works" 

"Taking Wide View on Security Grant to Police Helps Other
Departments" 

"Web Site Tracking Fraud at Midwest Banks" 

"Essex Gets Ready to Open New 'Mega-Jail'; Massive Lockup
Will be High-Tech" 

"Less-Lethal Weapons: Laser Sight's Dot Can End Standoff" 

"Revealing Pair of Eyes" 

"Researchers Keep an Eye on the Future of Security" 

"Tier Implementing IMATS Application for City of Richmond
Sheriff's Office" 

"To Help Turn Off Crime, Police are Logging On" 

"Software Can Investigate Suspicious Deaths" 

"Can We Learn to Share?" 

"High-Tech Systems Help Keep Tabs on the Accused" 

"ImageWare Systems Adds Data Sharing and Extends Facial
Recognition Capabilities at Clark County Detention Center" 

***************************ARTICLES*************************

"Fargo Area Police Look to Nonlethal Weaponry" 
Associated Press (07/15/03) 

The West Fargo Police (N.D.) Department has purchased six
Taser stun guns for $3,600, paid for by a grant and
donations, says Police Chief Arland Rasmussen. The weapons
allow officers to avoid physical clashes or having to
release pepper spray, which can produce long-lasting
irritation, he says. Taser International's director of
government affairs Steve Tuttle says the devices are safe
because the electrical current does not linger within a
person, and that people are typically injured if they fall
on top of an object. According to Rasmussen, all West Fargo
police officers who use Tasers are required to undergo a
shock by the stun gun, which police Detective Duane Sall
says feels like a bee sting and leaves an impression on the
skin.
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/30dayarchives/7-15-2003/sta04.html 

"National Briefing: Illinois: Cameras for High-Crime Areas" 
New York Times (07/15/03) P. A16 

Chicago police are preparing to deploy several $15,000
cameras to help cut down on crime and gang violence in the
worst areas of the city. Police will be able to control the
cameras from their squad cars via $7,000 control panels,
enabling them to zoom in on certain areas. The cameras are
expected to be installed on the south and west sides of the
city, though officials did not say how many cameras would be
deployed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/15/national/15BRFS3.html 

"Delta Police Investigations Go Digital" 
Vancouver Sun (07/14/03) P. B3; Gulyas, Maureen 

Delta, B.C, police have replaced the manual video and audio
systems in their interview rooms with a digital system from
U.S.-based Loronix Video Solutions. The new equipment brings
an end to the days when Delta police officers conducting
interviews had to load the tapes, flip switches, plug in
wires, turn on microphones, test the audio, and hope
everything went well, says Bruce Cousins, information and
technology manager for Delta. With the Loronix system all
they have to do is flip a switch and start the interview.
The police department uses the Loronix technology to
digitally record audio and video from cameras and
microphones placed inside the interview rooms at Ladner
headquarters, and the interviews and other documents can be
stored on a server until they are ready to be processed. The
digital system also allows police officers in different
locations to log onto the in-house network and monitor
interviews simultaneously. The Delta police department can
use the digital system to quickly share interviews with
other police agencies involved in joint investigations. What
is more, Delta police can use the Loronix technology to burn
a CD of an entire case, and hand a disc to Crown counsel and
defense lawyers, rather than boxes filled with 20,000 pages
of information and materials, explains Detective Sergeant
Lorne Pike. The Delta police department paid $25,000 for the
Loronix technology and also has added the digital equipment
in cell blocks. http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun 

"Researchers "Privacy Appliance" Seeks to Harness Government
Snooping" 
Associated Press (07/14/03); Fordahl, Matthew 

Privacy and security researcher Teresa Lunt is building the
privacy protection device that would supposedly filter out
sensitive information from government investigative queries.
Her work at the Palo Alto Research Center is funded by the
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for its
Terrorism Information Awareness (TIA) project. Lunt says
much of the debate about TIA is uninformed and that many
people mistakenly believe the government is going to pool
consumer data in a central database; according to what she
knows, Lunt says the TIA system would be a front-end
connecting to privately-owned databases of consumer records,
and that her privacy appliance would filter out personal
details while narrowing in on suspicious individuals.
Eventually, investigators would go to a judge for a special
court order to identify a limited number of suspect
individuals, and Lunt says it should be no more invasive for
most people than current marketing schemes. However,
Electronic Privacy Information Center general counsel David
Sobel worries that the judicial system is not designed to
handle the type of situation presented by TIA. A similar
privacy device and government investigative system is set
for testing this year that strips personal identifiers from
hospital records, allowing bioterrorism experts to quickly
confirm possible attacks. Investigators in that scenario,
however, are looking for general trends, unlike
anti-terrorism investigators that are trying to find the
isolated, tell-tale signs of an impending terrorist attack.
Proponents of TIA say that only such a system would have
been able to uncover the Sept. 11 attacks before they
occurred.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/editorial/6300152.htm 

"Software Searches for Truth in Voice Changes" 
Washington Post (07/12/03); McCarthy, Ellen 

Richard Parton created V to be the only U.S. distributor of
more advanced lie-detection technology developed by an
Israeli firm. The tool analyzes frequency disparities in a
person's voice based on factors such as high tension,
truthfulness, indecision, and excitement. The advantages
over traditional equipment is that recorded statements can
be analyzed and questioners do not need pre-determined
questions or to limit themselves to "yes" or "no" queries.
The law enforcement, homeland security, and insurance
industries will be among the clients targeted by V. Federal
government use would validate the technology to a greater
degree.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48907-2003Jul12.html 

"Crime Lab Brings Closure to Tough Cases" 
Los Angeles Times (07/11/03) P. 2-2; Blankstein, Andrew 

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's crime lab continues to
bring science and technology together that has enabled it to
crack tough cases, such as the 45-year-old murder of two El
Segundo police officers. Last winter, technicians at the
crime lab made a startling breakthrough by running the
fingerprints of 69-year-old South Carolina businessman
Gerald F. Mason through a FBI database and finding a match,
and then conducted firearm analysis and handwriting
evaluation. The strong evidence ultimately prompted a guilty
plea from Mason, who was sentenced to life in prison. July
represents the 75th anniversary of the crime lab, which was
initially located in the Hall of Justice, where two
employees processed firearms, fingerprints, and other
physical evidence. The crime lab moved to Main Street in the
1950s and 1960s, expanding into polygraphs, document and
handwriting identification, toxicology, breath, and video
analysis as technology continued to advance. Today, more
than 200 scientists, technicians, and administrative staff
members annually process 75,000 pieces of evidence,
including blood work, hair, and carpet fibers, at the
downtown lab on Beverly Boulevard, and other facilities are
located in Downey, West Covina, Lynwood, and Lancaster. An
increase in information in state and federal computer
databases of offenders' DNA and fingerprints, in addition to
ballistics information on firearms, has enabled detectives
to solve more cases, but movies and television dramas have
increased the public's imagination of what authorities can
do with technology. The Sheriff's Department will open a $96
million forensics crime lab on the campus of Cal State Los
Angeles in 2006.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-onthelaw11jul11,1,6073033.story 

"Cybersecurity Laws Expected" 
IDG News Service (07/11/03); Gross, Grant 

Rep. Adam Putnam (R-Fla.) told attendees at a recent forum
on e-government and cybersecurity that Congress will pass
legislation this year that outlines the standards businesses
should follow to fortify their cyber-defenses, but added
that it is too early to give specifics. Putnam, chairman of
the House Government Reform Committee's Subcommittee on
Technology, Information Policy, Intergovernmental Relations,
and the Census, commented that Capitol Hill's cyberattack
response strategy needs work, and acknowledged that many
members of Congress as well as the public are unaware of how
essential networked technology is to the critical
infrastructure of the United States. "We want to put
something out there that makes sense, that's balanced, that
accomplishes the same goals, without it being this headlong
rush to prove that we're doing something for our
constituents because we were asleep at the switch when there
was this digital Pearl Harbor," Putnam noted. He criticized
his colleagues and the Bush administration for prioritizing
physical threats over cyber-threats. Putnam also found fault
with the cybersecurity efforts of government agencies, which
suffer from problems stemming from staff and workplace
conflicts rather than technology, and said his subcommittee
will debate whether federal agencies outside the Defense
Department should comply with certain software security
regulations. The congressman's views were aired in response
to an inquiry from Entrust Technologies' Daniel Burton, who
was concerned with a "creeping aggregation of regulations"
such as 1996's Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act and 2002's Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Burton
expressed confidence after Putnam's presentation that his
subcommittee will shed further light on private-sector
cybersecurity regulations.
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111535,00.asp 

"Chicago to Install Video Cameras in High-Crime Areas" 
Associated Press (07/10/03); Le, Phuong 

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and Police Superintendent Terry
Hillard have announced the city's plans to install
surveillance cameras in certain high-crime "hot spots"
around the city. Installation of the video cameras, which
can rotate 360 degrees and have night vision and the ability
to zoom in on smaller objects, is part of Chicago's
Operation Disruption initiative, which seeks to reduce the
rate of drug dealing, gang violence, and other criminal
activity in the city. The footage captured on the cameras,
which can be monitored by police from remote locations at
all hours, can be used as evidence against criminals, and
officials hope that even the presence of cameras will deter
people from committing crimes. During the announcement,
Hillard pointed out that camera surveillance creates "a
visible crime deterrent," and Laura Nichols, a
representative for the International Association of Chiefs
of Police, says cameras have been proven to reduce crime in
some areas. Although they did not specify where or how many
video cameras would be installed, the officials said the
surveillance cameras would be in place within weeks.
http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1014783&t=Iowa+%2F+Illinois&c=24,1014783 

"Handheld Bioterror Detectors in Works" 
USA Today (07/10/03) P. 6D; Fackelmann, Kathleen 

New hand-held devices capable of detecting bioterrorism
agents such as anthrax, smallpox, and mustard gas could
become commercially available within the next five years,
according to market research firm In-Stat/MDR. At present,
police and other emergency responders have no choice but to
send potential bioterrorism samples to a lab, where it
normally takes at least 24 hours to determine the identity
of a given substance. The new hand-held devices, which are
in development at Cornell University and the Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute (RPI), would reduce this
identification period to just a one-hour wait. This
drastically reduced turnaround time means that the devices
would be ideally suited for use by police officers on city
streets to investigate suspicious powders or gasses. The
devices, which are palm-sized, are powered by a silicon chip
that runs a "polymerase chain reaction" (PCR) test that uses
DNA samples to identify microorganisms. Princeton University
researcher Robert Austin says that the PCR test is
incredibly reliable, meaning that the chances of an
inaccurate reading are quite slim. Researchers at RPI have
constructed a portable gas sensor that is capable of
identifying gasses by their electrical discharges, a
capability that could be applied to detecting sarin and
other deadly gasses.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-07-09-detectors_x.htm 

"Taking Wide View on Security Grant to Police Helps Other
Departments" 
Boston Globe (07/10/03) P. 1; Stewart, Rhonda 

The town of Newton, Mass., plans to purchase a Geographic
Information System (GIS) and fund other projects with a
$911,768 grant from the Executive Office of Public Safety,
which is expected to receive the grant from the Department
of Homeland Security within six weeks. Police Chief Jose
Cordero noted that the grant will not only enhance emergency
response and security in Newton, but also benefit the
surrounding region. GIS will allow quicker response to
emergencies by providing crucial data, such as how many
victims are at the scene. Officials say the grant will also
purchase equipment for chemical or biological attacks. The
nearby town of Waltham received roughly $70,000 to fund
emergency response systems and has requested another
$100,000 grant, according to Waltham Police Chief Edward
Drew. Newton and Waltham participate in METROFIRE with the
towns of Watertown, Needham, Wellesley, and Weston to
coordinate how their fire departments respond to
emergencies. http://www.boston.com/globe 

"Web Site Tracking Fraud at Midwest Banks" 
American Banker (07/10/03) P. 6; Jackson, Ben 

The Iowa Bankers Association, banking associations in 10
states, and law enforcement officials developed and
implemented an anti-crime Web site, which will compile
information, including document images and camera stills, to
provide to law enforcement officials in an effort to combat
fraud. According to the associations, banks in Iowa have
been hit by loan fraud more than check fraud, and fraud
losses rose 50 percent between 1996 and 2002. The Web site
will include information from banks in Iowa, Kansas,
Minnesota, Indiana, Missouri, and five other states, and
could be expanded to include data from credit unions in
those states as well.
http://www.americanbanker.com/article.html?id=20030709V8WENMGD&from=CommBank 

"Essex Gets Ready to Open New 'Mega-Jail'; Massive Lockup
Will be High-Tech" 
Associated Press (07/09/03) P. A4 

A new $416 million, 2,300-bed penitentiary in Essex County,
N.J., will be one of the nation's largest country
facilities, replacing two facilities that collectively house
approximately 2,500 convicts. The high-tech jail will be
operated from a computerized three-story control room. A
power plant, backup generators, and a connection to the
regional power grid will also be aspects of the jail. The
walls will be painted lavender, which is supposed to create
a more soothing atmosphere for both guards and inmates.
County executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo Jr. says that
efficiencies such as videoconferencing technology will lead
to savings of $5 million annually. The new construction is
the result of a lawsuit claiming that the old Civil War-era
facilities amounted to punitive conditions for people not
yet convicted of crime. http://www.ap.org 

"Less-Lethal Weapons: Laser Sight's Dot Can End Standoff" 
Denver Rocky Mountain News (07/09/03) P. 5A; Ensslin, John
C.; Gutierrez, Hector 

The Denver Police Department uses Taser stun guns in
situations that might otherwise warrant the use of more
lethal weapons. The department currently has 80 Tasers, and
has used them in 93 cases. Seven of the cases involved
persons brandishing a knife, and nine entailed using the
Tasers in close proximity as a stun gun. Police say that
some suspects yield to police officers after seeing the
Taser's laser sight focused on their body, revealing a red
dot. Cpl. Stan Palka says this is in contrast to many
suspects' reactions to guns, who believe that officers would
not shoot at them, and subsequently flee. Palka, who heads
the city's less-lethal weapons training, says the Tasers
have misfired nine times--the electric probes did not reach
the suspect. Police Chief Gerry Whitman says officers with
crisis intervention training are controlling dangerous
situations on a day-to-day basis by using their Tasers. But
he adds that officers must determine whether they have
enough time and distance to subdue the suspect, or if a case
calls for lethal force.
http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2096227,00.html 

"Revealing Pair of Eyes" 
ABCNews.com (07/08/03); Eng, Paul 

Lehigh University electrical and computer engineering
professor Rick Blum is among the scientists working on a
software system that would give soldiers and police officers
X-ray vision. The system makes use of two video cameras, one
of which is equipped with a millimeter-wave (MMW) sensor
that uses high-frequency radio waves to locate guns, knives,
and other weapons behind clothing, walls, and other objects.
This would eliminate the need for physical body searches.
According to Blum, the traditional digital camera helps
users identify the person they are viewing, while the MMW
image shows things hidden to the naked eye. Because MMW
sensors are costly, Blum is adjusting the software to
accommodate infrared sensors and backscatter radar.
Researchers must also consider the possibility that the
system will break unreasonable search and seizure laws,
especially since everyone who steps into its path would be
scanned.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/FutureTech/fusedimages030708.html 

"Researchers Keep an Eye on the Future of Security" 
Computer Weekly (07/08/03); Cushing, Karl 

Biometric security systems such as fingerprint and iris
scanners are currently a niche technology, but a team of
Kent University researchers expects to widen the acceptance
of such interfaces through the development of stronger and
more dependable tools. Iris scanners can be obtrusive and
difficult for users to interact with, while the accuracy of
fingerprint recognition systems can be reduced if the users'
fingers are dirty or worn. Impostors can thwart such devices
with a variety of techniques, including wearing
sophisticated contact lenses to fool iris scanners and
displaying photographs to biometric readers. "One of the key
problems is that there is no single biometric device that is
reliable and accurate enough for all applications, and not
everyone recognizes that," explains Mike Fairhurst of Kent
University's electronics department. His team has devised an
"intelligent processing framework" featuring software that
possesses centralized biometrics management in order to
select the biometrics mode best suited to the job at hand.
The system can also meld multiple forms together to boost
reliability and accuracy. The Intelligent Agent for
Multimodal Biometric Identification and Control (Iambic)
interface, which the Kent team is operating in collaboration
with Neusciences, uses a sensor- and microphone-outfitted
laptop as a client and a networked desktop PC as a server;
Iambic requires users to register up to three
biometrics--voice, fingerprint, and facial recognition--that
must be confirmed for each ensuing visit. During the
system's trial period, researchers discovered that users had
problems enrolling with the voice recognition mode, while
handicapped or injured users may also have difficulty. "A
lot of work needs to be done to improve the interface and
make it more intuitive," comments Fairhurst.
http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=123178&liArticleTypeID=20&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=13&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1 

"Tier Implementing IMATS Application for City of Richmond
Sheriff's Office" 
Business Wire (07/08/03) 

Tier Technologies, Inc. reports that it is implementing its
Inmate Management and Tracking System (IMATS) for the
Sheriff's Office of the City of Richmond, Virginia. The Iris
Recognition Positive Identification System SecurePass is a
module of the IMATS application that is designed to create
increased efficiencies and safety for the Sheriff's Office.
SecurePass, which has been installed as a pilot program in
Boston's Logan International Airport and is utilized in the
daily operations of multiple correctional facilities, uses
iris recognition biometrics to capture a high-resolution
digital photograph of an individual's iris for
identification purposes. The technology is non-intrusive -
the individual does not need to touch anything to use the
system. According to a study conducted by Britain's National
Physical Laboratory, iris recognition technology decisively
outperformed five other biometrics systems in accurately
matching individuals to an existing database. Tier's IMATS
application provides tools intended to ensure information is
complete, accurate, easily accessible and systematically
managed so that data can be disseminated to additional
Virginia agencies. Tier is customizing the IMATS application
to interface directly with the Commonwealth's Local Inmate
Data System (LIDS), to allow the Sheriff's Office to
transfer critical data with increased accuracy as well as
efficiency. "As the largest jail in the Commonwealth of
Virginia we are pleased to be working with Tier
Technologies. The installation of the IMATS application and
the SecurePass module will help the Sheriff's Office create
a safer, more efficient environment," stated Sheriff
Michelle B. Mitchell.
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.070803/231895584&directory=/google&header_file=header.htm&footer_file= 

"To Help Turn Off Crime, Police are Logging On" 
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (07/08/03) P. 1B; Jansen, Corissa 

Wisconsin police departments are using technology to improve
response times to local crimes. For instance, police in New
Berlin use the Internet to send pictures of crime suspects
and provide other important information related to a wide
range of cases to local homeowners and businesses. The
system helps keep the community more informed about local
criminal and police activities. A similar alert system used
by De Pere police led to the quick apprehension of a
burglary suspect when he attempted to cash a large number of
stolen coins. Police in the state also employ text messaging
to alert citizens to recent crimes and provide other law
enforcement-related information. More than 40 police
departments in the state are linked to the Citizen Observer
communications system, which enables departments to send
e-mail, cell phone, digital pager, or fax alerts. Citizens
in communities using the system can sign up to receive
alerts by accessing the Citizen Observer Web site,
www.citizenobserver.com. The system provides roughly 150
communities throughout the United States with the latest
crime information.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/jul03/153503.asp 

"Software Can Investigate Suspicious Deaths" 
New Scientist (07/07/03); Graham-Rowe, Duncan 

New software has been developed to help detectives by
prompting them to explore lines of inquiry besides the
obvious, helping them handle several different crime
scenarios at once. The software can help detectives
distinguish between deaths caused by murder and those caused
by accident, suicide, or natural causes, and includes a
knowledgebase of the different ways death can be caused and
related evidence and facts. Investigators can enter pieces
of evidence, and the software finds possible links and
formulates possible scenarios--and scales the scenarios by
probability. It considers all possible scenarios, without
relying on the programmer's knowledge, and uses a "truth
maintenance" program to examine causal relationships between
pieces of evidence and to determine whether the scenario in
question is possible. The software is still in prototype
form, and will probably be available to test on real cases
in two years or so. Director of Manchester Metropolitan
University's Forensic Research group David Holmes says such
a tool would be very helpful to law enforcement, but he
notes that using it could require feeding the system a
massive amount of data. Jeroen Keppens of Edinburgh's Joseph
Bell Center for Forensic Statistics and Legal Reasoning
recently told attendees at the International Conference on
Artificial Intelligence and Law at the University of
Edinburgh that miscarriages of justice could be avoided with
such a tool.
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993896 

"Can We Learn to Share?" 
Washington Technology (07/07/03) Vol. 18, No. 7, P. 1;
Welsh, William 

The multi-jurisdictional Capital Wireless Integrated Network
(CapWIN) project in the Washington, D.C., area is setting
the standard for such emergency response collaborations
elsewhere in the country. When finished with planned work,
10,000 first responders from 35 local, state, and federal
agencies will be able to communicate and access different
groups' electronic resources in an emergency. Those
involved, however, say the project is likely to expand and
is already garnering interest from other nearby agencies and
jurisdictions around the country. CapWIN's lead integrator,
IBM, is building the network with off-the-shelf components
and open standards such as the version of XML developed for
the public safety community. IBM Global Services public
sector safety and security director Kent Blossom explains
the approach aims to leverage groups' existing hardware and
infrastructure. When first-responders arrive on the scene,
they will have a shared platform for instant messaging and
file-sharing. icons will identify them in collaborative
sessions as either emergency medical workers, fire
department, or police. Blossom says the main challenge for
projects like CapWIN is not technical integration, but
facilitating collaboration, especially when sensitive
information such as criminal justice records is required.
Support for CapWIN, which was conceived in 2000 by a
consortium of government agencies, took off after the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks, which eased resistance to
information-sharing and funding. The project is funded by
the Justice Department's special interoperability initiative
for local law enforcement. CapWIN program director George
Ake says an incident in 1998 highlighted the need for a
collaborative response project when a suicide attempt on a
major bridge shut down traffic thoroughfares for about six
hours.
http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/18_7/cover-stories/21098-1.html 

"High-Tech Systems Help Keep Tabs on the Accused" 
Orlando Sentinel (07/07/03) P. B1; Jacobson, Susan 

Florida's Osceola County has been using AutoMon kiosks to
monitor criminals that are let out on bail and awaiting
trial. The kiosks currently use personal identification
numbers and fingerprints to verify that a person has checked
in, although if the county's contract is renewed the
upgraded kiosks will use hand-geometry biometric
identification. The county has also been using voice
recognition programs that randomly call criminals who are
under house arrest. The voice recognition programs are 97
percent effective, and require that the person recite a
number. If the program does not recognize the voice a fax is
sent to the police, who then send officers to follow up.
Over 300 people currently are using the kiosks, most of them
offenders who pose little risk to the community and
themselves. The new systems are being used in an effort to
reduce costs of detaining prisoners, and saving money
through manpower expended on meeting with offenders on bail.
Other regions have been less accepting of the new
technologies, saying that there is a greater likelihood of
the machines or devices making an error, such as the kiosks
not giving receipts, or the phone systems malfunctioning.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com 

"ImageWare Systems Adds Data Sharing and Extends Facial
Recognition Capabilities at Clark County Detention Center" 
PRNewswire (07/07/03) 

ImageWare Systems, Inc. reports it has received a purchase
order to provide the Clark County Detention Center in Las
Vegas with additional licenses of ImageWare's Face ID
application and develop a customized interface that will
allow the Center to access the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police
Department's (LVMPD) repository of criminal data and images.
"Our ability to connect to the LVMPD's database, coupled
with ImageWare's facial recognition software will
significantly expand the breadth of our investigative
capabilities," said Curtis Pellerin, programmer analyst for
the Clark County Detention Center. "We will now have access
to all of LVMPD's mugshots and booking information and will
be able to conduct facial recognition searches from their
data as well." Lori Rodriguez, president of ImageWare's Law
Enforcement Division, notes the "Clark County Detention
Center has been using ImageWare's facial recognition,
booking and investigative solutions since 2002 and we are
thrilled that they have elected to enhance their overall
investigative solution with ImageWare's data sharing
platform." ImageWare's Face ID application utilizes facial
recognition technology to search for and match facial
characteristics of a suspect against a police department's
Crime Capture System (CCS), an easy-to-use digital imaging
solution for automated capture, storage, and retrieval of
booking images and related information.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK3.story&STORY=/www/story/07-07-2003/0001977007&EDATE=MON+Jul+07+2003,+06:00+AM

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/