Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Warning: Emergency channel only for emergencies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:40:58 -0400

Warning: Emergency channel only for emergencies

Staff writer

In the same vein with emergencies, the Coast Guard is still trying to persuade
boaters to use Channel 16 as the international distress channel only -- a change
made about two years ago.

It used to be the international hailing and distress channel, said Petty Officer
Greg Goetz. That meant anyone looking for another boater could call out on Channel
16.

"You weren't allowed to converse, you just find him and go to whatever channel you
want," Goetz explained.
With the creation of Channel 9 a couple of years ago, authorities wanted to leave
Channel 16 for emergencies only. But the problem has been retraining boaters who
used the channel for everything for decades.

"If you're here on the weekend, it's nonstop and if someone's on there it ruins it
for everyone on this part of the lake," Goetz said, adding anyone in trouble could
have to wait minutes to get onto the channel.

Now, Coast Guard members routinely chase chatting boaters off Channel 16 to keep
it clear.
"We do, on a Saturday 10, 12 times a day or more," he said of the amount of
warnings issued. "It depends on the day and hour.

"But more and more are starting to use (Channel 9). ... They're getting better."
Originally published Tuesday, July 8, 2003

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/news/stories/20030708/localnews/612647.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:08:54 -0400

I think the Coast Guard hit the problem right on the head. Education is the key.
I use to have a VHF marine radio in my SUV(for marintine use) and one on the my boat.
Some people called the VHF radio a "CB" and ask  can they talk to truckers I found it amazing. After
giving them a 5 min tutorial they always ask  "Can I call the Coast Guard for a
"Radio Check"......Uggggggggh! I took the VHF radio out of the SUV and replaced it 
with a tri-band Hammy radio, I still get the same questions. 

If have a perfect way to keep boaters of the channel except for emergencies.
A while ago Gamin requested a wavier from the FCC to send data over an FRS
channel.  They got it.

The data  was received by another unit with an LCD screen and digital map with
their Lat/ Long. The map gave you and overview of the area and even show where you
were in relation to them.

http://www2.velocity.net/mcraford/Garmin/garmin.htm

If  the Lat/ Long and some sort of identifier was sent ever time a person
transmitted on channel 16 and they knew the could be easily identified, the
"Chit-Chat" would cease.
This could be touted as a safety feature. I bet the public would Ebrace his type
of unit.
Of course we have the  normal issues, FCC Wavier, Manufacture Standards,
Production, etc.

Just a thought.

Woody Glover wrote:

> As I understand it, this was a test by the Coast Guard in the North East,
> and it was not successful.  I believe that it was determined to leave
> channel 16 as-is, for hailing and emergency, with the idea that everyone
> monitors 16 (listening for "hails" from other boaters) and that they would
> therefore also hear a distress call as well.  If the boaters monitor channel
> 9 they would not be as likely to hear a distress call on channel 16.
>
> Woody Glover
> Daytona Beach
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 2:41 PM
> To: WFHSG; [email-masked]
> Subject: [WFHSG] Warning: Emergency channel only for emergencies
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health - $23.95
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MmkSQC/NTVGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->