Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC dismisses Powell resignation report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 02:57:39 -0400

FCC dismisses Powell resignation report

By Demetri Sevastopulo
in Washington
July 21 2003 19:00

The Federal Communications Commission on Monday moved to stop speculation in
Washington that Michael Powell, FCC chairman, is on the verge of retiring, along
with four top aides. "The rumours are without foundation," said a spokesman for Mr
Powell, who has led the FCC since January 2001.

The corridors of power in Washington have been whispering about Mr Powell's
departure since February, when the chairman suffered an embarrassing defeat over
telecoms deregulation at the hands of Kevin Martin, a fellow Republican FCC
commissioner. This week, Time magazine reported that Mr Powell had told senior
aides that he would leave the commission this fall.

While Mr Powell is denying any intention to step down, FCC and industry sources
say two of his four closest aides have begun looking for jobs. Mr Powell's media
ownership adviser also recently decided to resign, which was expected.

Mr Powell's office denied that the aides were joining the job market.
Mr Powell could have many reasons for wanting to leave the FCC, where the former
army officer has had a bumpy ride. He took command in early 2001 just as the
telecoms industry started to implode. Then came this year's stunning defeat, when
Mr Martin sided with the commission's two Democrats in allowing states to force
local telephone companies, such as Verizon Communications, to provide discounted
network access to such long-distance carriers as AT&T.

Last month, Mr Powell appeared to be back in charge when he led the successful FCC
vote to ease media ownership restrictions. But the decision has proved so
unpopular with lawmakers and consumer groups that Congress is now on the verge of
overturning some of those new rules.

Presidential politics could also be a factor. The White House has asked political
appointees in different branches of government to step aside now in order to avoid
election-year resignations in 2004.

In a March interview with the FT, Mr Powell expressed no intentions of moving from
his eighth floor FCC office. But the 40-year old chairman said he would be
interested in moving to the private sector at some point.

"I love leadership and I love public service. I've spent very little time in the
private sector but there are similar opportunities out there, which I have not
previously explored," Mr Powell said then "When I look back on my life I hope it
has a healthy mix of returning to the government, serving, going out and making
sure my family is not broke, and coming back."

http://search.ft.com/search/article.html?id=030722001037&query=fcc&vsc_appId=totalSearch&state=Form

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/