Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The FCC Is Cracking Down On Tower Owners.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:51:11 -0400

Tower Dawgs,

Just an FYI-

The FCC is giving  tower owners 60 days to obtain the required FCC approvals for
their towers. WTB is reporting 400+ towers that are out of compliance as a result
of an audit. NIMA (National Imaging and Mapping Agency) conducted the audit. The
NIMA and the FCC are trying to co-ordinate databases. Those who don't comply will
be subject to fines.  This is a perfect opportunity for a Tower Company to add
some "Fill" work to their roster. I'm sure once someone gets on the job they will
find other violations such as signage, lighting, etc. The potential for some
significant $$$$ is great given the short period of time. I have attached the FCC
document for reference. Sending it as  friendly reminder should  jump start some
work.

 http://wireless.fcc.gov/antenna

Here are some key problems found-

* Structures  greater than or less than 200 feet tall, located near an airport and
failed the  glide slope calculation

* Not registered with the commission in its Antenna Structure Registration
database

* "Determination of No Hazard to Air Navigation" ( Federal Aviation Administration
)
And more...............

==========================================================

PUBLIC NOTICE
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th St., S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20554
News Media Information 202 / 418-0500
Internet: http://www.fcc.gov
TTY: 1-888-835-5322
DA 03-2411

July 23, 2003

Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Announces 60-Day Amnesty
for Structures Identified in Initial Quarterly Audit of Antenna Structures
The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) has initiated quarterly audits of
antenna structures
in cooperation with the National Imaging and Mapping Agency (NIMA). In the audit
process NIMA
adds to their obstruction database our Antenna Structure Registration (ASR)
database updates and
then provides back to the Commission a list of new communication tower sites from
their database
not found in our updates. The towers in this list may potentially require
registration with the
Commission. This exchange of quarterly database updates is intended to synchronize
the two
agencies’ databases.

In the initial audit of the two agency’s databases, WTB has identified 442
communications tower
sites that appear to be in violation of the Commission’s antenna structure
registration requirements
(47 CFR, Part 17). Under these Rules all antenna structures that may pose a hazard
to air navigation
– generally those more than 200 feet in overall height or those structures less
than 200 feet but
located near airports – must be studied by the Federal Aviation Administration
(FAA) and registered
with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). WTB has verified that these 442
tower sites
were either greater than 200 feet tall or were less than 200 feet tall, located
near an airport and failed
the glide slope calculation (TOWAIR). It has also been verified that these towers
have not been
registered with the Commission in the ASR database. A list of these tower sites is
located at
wireless.fcc.gov/antenna. The site will indicate by coordinates and general
location the towers which
may require registration.

Owners of antenna structures meeting the registration criteria must have an FAA
“Determination of
No Hazard to Air Navigation” before registering with the Commission. It is not
necessary to obtain a
new FAA clearance if a valid FAA clearance already exists for the structure. To
obtain FAA
clearance, an FAA Form 7460-1 must be completed and submitted to the regional
office serving the
state in which the antenna structure is located. This form and additional FAA
information is
available on the FAA’s Obstruction Evaluation / Airport Airspace Analysis
homepage,
http://www2.faa.gov/ats/ata/ata400/oeaaa.html. Because the FAA clearance process
may take 4 -6
weeks owners should allow sufficient time to secure a valid FAA study. Contact the
appropriate
FAA regional office with any questions about the FAA clearance process or the time
the FAA may
require issuing a clearance.

The Antenna Structure Registration program allows the FCC to fulfill its statutory
duty to require the
painting and lighting of antenna structures that may pose a hazard to air
navigation. We accomplish
this vital task by requiring owners of antenna structures that meet the criteria
for notification to the

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to register with the FCC. FCC registration
is attained by
filing FCC Form 854. The ASR on-line filing process and paper form is available on
the FCC’s
antenna structure homepage, wireless.fcc.gov/antenna.

The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau is offering a 60 day amnesty period to the
owners of
towers identified in this audit who may be in violation of the Commission’s
antenna structure
registration requirements. John Muleta, Chief of the Wireless Bureau, said “Public
safety is more
important than process. I want to give everyone notice of this new technique and
how we will use it
in the future.”

On the 61st day from the issuance of this public notice, those communications
tower sites that have
not been registered with the Commission will be forwarded to the Enforcement
Bureau for
investigation and appropriate enforcement action. Those tower owners who are
unable to complete
the FCC antenna structure registration process during this amnesty period due to
their need to obtain
an FAA determination need to inform the Commission in writing the tower location
and the status of
their registration process. This notification is to be addressed to the FCC
contact below.
WTB intends to analyze all future quarterly audit results, determine those
structures that appear to
require registration with the Commission and forward those tower sites to the
Enforcement Bureau so
that they may initiate appropriate enforcement action.

For additional information, contact Diane Leer of the Bureau’s Data Management
Division, Federal
Communications Commission, 1270 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325.
(717) 338-2568 or [email-masked].

Internet Resources

Antenna Structure Registration homepage: http://wireless.fcc.gov/antenna (provides
general ASR
information, links to on-line filing, ASR query functions and FRN registration)
FCC Forms Page: http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms (access to a downloadable copy
of the FCC
Form 854 (application for Antenna Structure Registration).
TOWAIR: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp TOWAIR will
assist you in
determining if registration is necessary. It will calculate whether an antenna
structure under 60.9
meters (200 feet) will penetrate the slope for nearby airports and thus require
FCC registration).
Note: This feature is also available via a link on the Antenna Homepage.
FAA’s Obstruction Evaluation/Airport Airspace Analysis Homepage:
http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/ata400/oeaaa.htm (access information and forms for
requesting an FAA
study of an antenna structure – which must be obtained before the FCC will issue a
registration)
FCC Technical Support Hotline: Call 202-414-1250 (TTY 202-414-1255), or send
e-mail to
[email-masked]. Contact the Technical Support Hotline with questions concerning
computer
access to ULS, FRNs, file uploads, or submitting attachments. The hotline is
available Monday-
Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Eastern Time (except federal holidays).

ULS Licensing Support and Forms Information: Call 1-888-CALLFCC (225-5322) and
select
option #2, or call 717-338-2888. Send e-mail to [email-masked]. Contact Licensing
Support with
questions about application purpose(s), FCC forms or schedules, or other
ULS-related licensing
matters. ULS Licensing Support is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.,
Eastern Time
(except federal holidays).

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2411A1.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/