Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US cell phone costs fall

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:57:47 -0400

US cell phone costs fall

The cost of using a cell phone in the USA declined by nearly 2% in June, according
to Econ One, an economic research and consulting firm, which studies the cost of
wireless service. The Econ One Research wireless cost index, which measures the
average cost of wireless service in the top 25 US markets based on four typical
levels of use declined $0.70 in June - a 1.9% decline over the reported cost of
wireless service in May.
In addition to its regular wireless voice services survey, the company conducted a
pricing survey of data plans and other special features currently available in the
top 25 markets. The survey focused on the availability and pricing of features
such as text messaging, wireless web browsing, ring tones and graphics, games, and
mobile IP. A report entitled Anything But Talk on Your Wireless Phone summarizing
the results will be available late July.
In June the cost of voice services increased only in 1 of the top 25 markets and
declined in the remaining 24 markets. Cincinnati was the highest cost market in
June. Washington D.C. was second, followed by Kansas City, Phoenix and New York.
Sacramento was the lowest cost market, followed by San Francisco, Miami,
Cleveland, and Chicago.
The only cost increase in June occurred in Phoenix (0.7%). In that market, Verizon
eliminated certain competitively priced plans, which resulted in higher cost of
service in the 200 and 800 levels of use, while AT&T and T-mobile both lowered the
cost of their service in the 500 and 800 bucket respectively. The cost of service
declined the most in St.  Louis (-4.1%), Pittsburgh (-3.4%), Miami (-3.3%), and
Tampa, Houston and Dallas (-3.2%).

Posted to the site on 23-Jul-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Breakthrough Natural Health Specialties at VitaminBoost.com $20 to $40
Oral Sprays for Fast Results and Greater Absorption.
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2880
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3oMABA/muYGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/