Subject: [NEXTEL-1] T-Mobile Invests in Flarion

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:48:24 -0000

FYI, I've been speculating about how the industry will turn its back 
on Qualcomm and their mis-deeds.

Forget about W-CDMA, CDMA2000, etc. they all suck.

The next big investor in Flarion will be a handset mfg.

Heres the release:
T-Mobile Invests in Flarion 
07.07.03

BONN, Germany -- The T-Mobile Venture Fund today announced that it 
is making an investment in Flarion Technologies, the architect of 
the `IP-friendly' flash-OFDM® wireless broadband system for data and 
voice services. Financial terms of the investment are not disclosed. 

"Our investment in Flarion provides us with a window on technology 
to what we consider to be one of today's most exciting private 
wireless infrastructure companies," said Axel Kolb, Managing 
Director of the T-Mobile Venture Fund. "The technology, the team and 
the investor basis are truly outstanding. We are investing in 
Flarion at a time where the company is poised to make a difference 
in the wireless industry." Flarion's mobile broadband system is 
currently deployed in operator trials on three continents and is 
ready for commercial production. 

"We are very proud of our relationship with the T-Mobile Venture 
Fund," said Ray Dolan, chairman and CEO with Flarion 
Technologies. "With the T-Mobile Venture Fund and the backing from 
our prestigious group of investors, Flarion will continue its 
momentum for market adoption around the world." 

With Flarion's IP friendly flash-OFDM technology, mobile operators 
can seamlessly connect corporate LANs with a wireless Wide Area 
Network with the speed and low packet latency that exceed stringent 
corporate network requirements. This, along with large-scale IP 
Quality of Service (QoS) control, enables mobile enterprise users to 
experience comparable performance, security and bandwidth allocation 
to what they would on their office Local Area Network (LAN) 
environment, without making any modifications to user settings, 
applications, protocols, content or devices. 
======
Now W-CDMA and CDMA2000 could be obsolete, bummer dude!

Is Timmy on the bat-phone? Where the fsck are my iDen/F-OFDM 
handsets???

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:06:49 -0400

Nice, T-mobile beats Timmy........

Have you seen any recent data? The last thing I saw was beta test Flarion did with
nextel but they on had a few sites to play with and there was no real system
loading.
The other issue is Flarion has yet to get FCC authorization from OET.
While only a formality, it is a key milestone.

The "inside scoop" is that Flarion has peeked the interest of the public safety
people. They would like to implement this on the new 4.9ghz band according to a
Flarion Engineer I met last month.  The Eng. echoed my concerns on  propagation
characteristics at 4.9Ghz.

With Nextel hogging all the good spectrum with any potential for broadband
deployment.
Flarion is sure to face some implementation challenges.

BTW- How much contiguous spectrum does T-mobile have?

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:01:13 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> Have you seen any recent data?
> 

Not personally, its very tightly controlled. However there was alot 
of activity/testing/DD in June and in pretty tough NYC conditions. I 
think I was dropping hints a couple of weeks ago.

> characteristics at 4.9Ghz.

And we wonder why Taxpayers are pissed. 4.9Ghz??? Thats just mad, 
man. I don't think it would even work.

> With Nextel hogging all the good spectrum with any potential for 
>broadband deployment.
 
I'm not sure what you mean here. Nextel wants a 10mhz block in the 
middle of the PCS/1900 block, that's currently marked as Unlicensed 
PCS. There's 20mhz of PCS currently marked PCS unlicensed and Nextel 
only wants half, how gracious!

But as I've stated many times over the past two years there is an 
OVERSUPPLY of spectrum in the mobile telephony market. Talk of 
scarce spectrum is a RUSE, its total bullshit. All heresay, no 
facts. For instance in NYC 40-50 of the PCS sits fallow.

> BTW- How much contiguous spectrum does T-mobile have?

Nextel and T-Mobile are really long lost cousins. 

John Stanton, the smartest guy in wireless, is the one who 
introduced Craig McCaw to the cellular business. He was a very key 
player at McCaw Cellular. After listening to one too many misguided 
tirades from the "Visionary", he said fsck this. Took his new wealth 
and created Western Wireless (WWCA) as a rural roaming play. Along 
the way WWCA picked up urban PCS blocks.

Stanton spunout the 1900mhz blocks in the form of an urban GSM 
carrier, as acquistion bait for a big european consolidator. And 
DeutscheTeleKom bit. eos.

T-Mobile has the least amount of spectrum of the 6 national 
carriers, but it has enought to compete. Especially in big cities 
like NYC and the southeast due to the rollup of PowerTel.

Now the obvious question is will T-Mobile and Nextel ever 
become "kissing" cousins?

More seriously, Marcel, you know I've been fairly steadfast in 
keeping Flarion alive in posts on this and other boards. DT is a 
major intl carrier, 2nd only to Vodafone.

Now follow this logic. Everybody is PISSED OFF at qualcomm, this 
includes the usual suspects from europe, plus the current CDMA2000 
crowd. The CDMA2000 crowd is pissed about the betrayal and the 
spector of direct competition with qualcomm, via 1) the Q-Chat 
alliance with Nextel, and who has NEVER SPENT A FRIGGIN DIME ON 
CDMA, and 2) the out-n-out greedy from qualcomm and its BREW 
platform.

The europeans have always disliked qualcomm, because they are the 
classic "ugly" americans, but now they are seeing first hand the 
consequences of going with qualcomm and W-CDMA route. The wireless 
business is too complex to worry about competition from a key 
supplier. Nobody trusts qualcomm, anymore!!!

The next big step for Flarion will be a handset deal, preferably 
with an Asian mfg.

Anyway you heard it here first on NEXTEL-1 !!!

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:24:58 -0400

> only wants half, how gracious!

I should have said TRYING to hog all the spectrum.

> facts. For instance in NYC 40-50 of the PCS sits fallow.

I have said the same- Eficently is the key!

> Anyway you heard it here first on NEXTEL-1 !!!

Thanks for the Tip-

Btw- What about the defense play with Northup?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->