Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hamilton County, Ohio Goes Online with Next Phase of Motorola Public Safety Communications System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:04:38 -0400

Hamilton County, Ohio Goes Online with Next Phase of Motorola Public Safety
Communications System

More Than 2,000 Public Safety Users Linked in County and Neighboring Jurisdictions

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. - 16 July, 2003 - Hamilton County, Ohio, will go online today
with the second phase of its $30 million communications system from Motorola
(NYSE: MOT), and for the first time, make communications possible among all public
safety agencies in the county and in neighboring jurisdictions. The system is part
of Motorola's extensive portfolio of integrated communications and information
solutions to address mission-critical public safety and security requirements
worldwide.

Coming online during Phase II are more than 100 public safety agencies. Fire
department personnel began using Phase I of the system in 2002. By the end of
2004, the County will be interoperable with the City of Cincinnati, now in the
process of developing a $22.7 million, 10-site, 20-channel infrastructure for its
public safety communications.

"Interoperability between multiple jurisdictions is critical to Homeland
Security," said Greg Wenz, Operations Director, Hamilton County Department of
Communications. "All of our emergency responders will now be able to talk with
each other at the scene of an incident or large-scale event and confer with others
located in another part of the county. The interoperability can make a difference
that saves a life."

Hamilton County is located in the extreme southwest corner of Ohio, covering an
area of 414 square miles and a population of 845,268 people. "We have a hilly
terrain and three major rivers, which have resulted in many 'dead spots' in
coverage," said Wenz. "The coverage capabilities of our new system are
significantly enhanced and were a key factor in our purchase decision."
The technology replaces an aging system that had served Hamilton County since the
1940s.

System Will Enhance Day-to-Day Communications

More than 2,000 subscribers and 15 sites are on the Hamilton County system, which
includes most of the cities, villages and townships within Hamilton County, as
well as the Metropolitan Sewer District. Hamilton County users will also be able
to communicate with Clermont County, Warren County, Westchester Township, and the
state's Multi-Agency Radio Communications System (MARCS). The 800 MHz digital
ASTRO® SmartZone® 20-channel trunked radio system uses Motorola's latest APCO
Project 25 digital technology, the functional and technical standard for
public-safety digital systems that ensures users are able to communicate with each
other.

"This system will greatly enhance day-to-day emergency communications, and have
tremendous value when multiple agencies respond to major events or disasters,"
said Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune.

Individual system sites are connected by a digital microwave system. Dispatchers
will manage communications traffic from nine Motorola CENTRACOM Gold Elite™
consoles at the county's existing dispatch center.

The county purchased approximately 1,800 Motorola XTS 5000™ portable radios and
350 ASTRO® SPECTRA® Plus mobile radios for use by public-safety agencies. In
addition, a $1.6 million Motorola Premier CAD™ Computer-Aided Dispatch System will
be integrated into the system by early 2004. The technology helps call-takers and
dispatchers quickly and efficiently handle incident information, and will help the
county prepare for Phase II Wireless E9-1-1.

"The CAD system will provide us with much-needed functions such as mapping
capabilities and dispatching and tracking of individual fire units," said Wenz.

"Hamilton County has been a Motorola customer since 1949, and we are proud to
continue to serve the citizens of this county by providing technology that enables
the most efficient emergency response over its challenging topography," said Rich
Polulak, Motorola Communications and Electronics, Inc. vice president. "As
neighboring cities and counties come online in the future, the interoperability of
this new system will prove ever more valuable."

Attorney Generals Call Lawsuit Stricken Nextel Looking For Cash.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,3038_2491_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/