Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Department Of Justice Reports- $17.1B State and local aging infrastructure needs replacing (May 03)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 05:29:17 -0400

Department Of Justice Reports- $17.1B State and local aging infrastructure needs
replacing (May 03)

This extensive 38 page presentation outlines the proposed evaluation of current
LMR technology employed by law enforcement today.  This is a "Must Read" for P/S
Administrators and Decision makers. PSWN (Jim Downes) has interest in similar
testing (called First Article).

OFFICE OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY- AGILE Program Update

Because the National Institute of Justice does not have an operational
mission, it can serve as an honest broker for the state and local public
safety community through:

 The Facts-

Current First Responder Community

• 2,500,000 Public Safety First Responders in the U.S. Today

– 28,713 Fire and 6,034 EMS Departments (1)

• 960,000 firefighters

• 830,000 emergency personnel

– 15,221 Law Enforcement Agencies (2)

• 710,000 Law Enforcement Officers

Sources:
1 National Directory of Fire Chiefs and EMS Administrators
2 National Directory of Law Enforcement Administrators

Public Safety Communications today:

• $17.1B State and local aging infrastructure needs replacing
-(Avg. statewide $200M)

• Distributed governance

• Incompatible Equipment

• Relatively small (compared to commercial market), fragmented niche market

• Oligopoly – limited vendors

Standards
P-25 Testing

• Two types of Project 25 radio system tests

• Compliance testing
– Ensures systems comply with P-25 standards for
transmitter, receiver, and infrastructure
characteristics
– Needed for system planning

• Interoperability testing
– Demonstrates radio systems from different
vendors will interoperate
– Needed for operational assurance
P-25 Testing

• Most compliance tests can not be inferred
from interoperability tests

• A subset of the compliance tests may
provide enough information to allow system
planning and “good neighbor” results

http://www.iacptechnology.org/LEIM/2003Presentations/NIJPresentations/AGILEProgramUpdate.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Control Hunger EZ with fast acting oral EZ Appetite Suppressant Spray
from VitaminBoost.com. 1 Month Supply - 2oz., 80 sprays: $19.97.
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2866&lp=ezappetite3.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aSJFwB/XWXGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/