Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Technology Back Fire

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:45:55 -0400

Technology Back Fire
July 1, 2003 7:05:00 AM ET

WASHINGTON-- Verizon Wireless sued Nextel Communications on Friday, accusing the
smaller competitor of improperly obtaining confidential information about Verizon
Wireless's technology. The Federal Lawsuit involves prototype phones owned by
Verizon that use the popular "Push-To-Talk" (PTT) feature. The suit accuses Nextel
of violating the Federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and Federal Communications
Commission rules, as well as Virginia state laws.

The  phones allegedly used by Nextel Communications also employed a new location
technology used to locate callers in emergencies. The technology is normally
activated by the caller dialling 911 in an emergency. Sources are reporting the
phones allegedly used by Nextel were programed to send location information
constantly back to Verizon's switching center. This information was used to
pinpoint the location of the phones, missing since June 10. Verizon collected
additional data that will be used in the lawsuit against Nextel.

This information could make it more difficult for Nextel to defend itself against
the federal charges levied by Verizon. Verizon seeks an injunction barring Nextel
from using or disclosing the information it accessed, and an unspecified amount in
compensation and punitive damages.

Shares in Verizon fell 21 cents to $39.45 each in trading Monday on the New York
Stock Exchange. Nextel shares fell 42 cents to $18.07 each on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:59:51 -0400

I know some people in Reston are saying:

"Holy @#$#.........I thought we disabled that feature."  "Who's going to tell Timmy?"

Timmy "Can You Hear Me Now?" Ha-Ha-Ha!

[email-masked] wrote:

> Wireless's technology.