Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sprint Slams AT&T Wireless in Ad Campaign

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:40:30 -0400

Sprint Slams AT&T Wireless in Ad Campaign

Sprint is slamming AT&T Wireless in its new ad campaign in an effort to change its
image. The ads are running in national newspapers and will follow with TV spots,
saying that although some think AT&T is the "obvious choice" for businesses, it's
actually Sprint that has the better coverage and network.  Direct attack ads in
the wireless industry have been few and far between until now. It is expected that
more of this kind of advertising will take place as carriers meet the wireless
number portability requirement from the FCC in November.

=====================================================================================

Tuesday, July 15, 2003 · Last updated 1:29 p.m. PT
Sprint ad campaign attacks AT&T Wireless
By BRIAN BERGSTEIN

NEW YORK -- In a possible preview of more aggressive competition in the mobile
phone market, Sprint Corp.'s wireless division began an advertising campaign
Tuesday aimed solely at AT&T Wireless Services Inc.

The ads, running in national newspapers and due to be followed with TV spots,
claim that while "lots of businesses think AT&T Wireless is the obvious choice,"
Sprint offers a wider coverage area, clearer calls and faster data transfers to
phones and laptops. "We believe corporations ought to be thinking more about
Sprint as the innovative player and not just thinking about the older brand," said
Sprint PCS chief Len Lauer.

Although the wireless industry is hyper-competitive, direct attack ads have been
virtually nonexistent. Most providers have been trying to woo customers with lower
prices, flashy new phones or packages of communications services.
More of a free-for-all could result from the federal requirement, expected to take
effect Nov. 24, that mobile carriers let customers keep their phone numbers when
they change wireless providers.

Sprint executives said their campaign was not prompted by the numbering rule.  But
they acknowledged it will present an opportunity to lure businesses that have been
reluctant to hassle with changing employees' phone numbers. AT&T Wireless
spokesman Mark Siegel said his company, a spinoff of AT&T Corp., was unfazed. "We
are actually grateful that Sprint has done this," he said, "because it shows that
they recognize what business users have known for some time, that AT&T Wireless is
the clear leader."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/aptech_story.asp?category=1700&slug=Wireless%20Attack%20Ads

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges & refill kits at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5702
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YrYXfA/AyWGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/