Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Push Comes to Shove in PTT

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:41:31 -0400

Hmmm...  It seems to me that I have copyrighted the phrase "push-to-talk"
some years ago, likely numerous times.  So has every journalist who
writes about the radio communications industry.

Before the lawyers on this list pounce, let me say that I am well aware
of the substantial differences between copyrights and trademarks (as well
as patents.)  But in pure concept, within the hearts and minds of the
public, the industry, and perhaps even some jurists, intellectual
property is intellectual property, regardless of which statute or office
authorized the appropriate intellectual property registration.

Perhaps all of we journalists who have inadvertently or otherwise
registered "push-to-talk" under Title 17, should collectively or
individually bring to bear upon Nextel as a matter of principle,
regardless of whether we have the proverbial legal 'leg' upon which to
stand.

It's done regularly in the world of politics, I hasten to add; before the
attorneys here scream 'frivolous'.  Regardless of whether or not a given
case is won, or whether it is ever heard for that matter, a valid
political statement is often made.

Just something about which to muse...

Kind regards,

Alan Dixon
Contributing Editor
Popular Communications
<[email-masked]>

"Popular Communications is available at Barnes & Noble and other fine
book stores and newsstands."

[Please copy replies to: [email-masked] <wpuc720[a]juno.com>]

--- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
I agree-

Again- I urge all 2200+ Members  to vocalize their objections to 
Nextel's secondary PTT registration.

==================================================

Send Your Comments On Nextel's Push-To-Talk & PTT To Nextel's 
representatives, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Please cc:

investor.relations@n...

SUSAN.HAYASH@n...
(703)308-9110 Ext 104

Correspondent (Owner)
egray@f...

Edward W. Gray, Jr (Attorney of record)

EDWARD W. GRAY, JR
FITCH, EVEN, TABIN & FLANNERY
120 SOUTH LA SALLE ST.
SUITE 1600
CHICAGO IL 60603

http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html#email

http://www.uspto.gov/emergencyalerts/tmemailnotice.htm

> <pvs4@p... > wrote:
> This is totally ridiculous PTT and Push-To-Talk have been in 
> the radio industry dictionaries and vocabularies since the 
> advent of the two way radio.  These trademarks should be 
> challenged.  That would be like someone trademarking the 
> word car and banning all automobile manufactures from using
> the word or trademarking other common everyday use words 
> to prevent someone from using them.  Nextel should embrace 
> competition and focus on service so  that they can serve the 
>customer.  Who ever allowed Nextel to trademark these 
>phrases and words should have their mental faculties checked.
>
> Lindsay
>
> 
> > "In a move to safeguard its market position in advance of the 
> > new competition, Nextel earlier last month registered the 
> > trademarks "PTT" and "Push-to-Talk." The carrier also 
> > plans to launch nationwide PTT service in August.
> >

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:44:42 EDT

Please review to my earlier posts with regard to the fact that the 
Push-to-Talk is a secondary registration only, and therefore not entitled to protection 
as would a registration on the Primary Registration.  It's essentially a 
non-event which everyone (including and particularly Nextel) has blown into a big 
event.

Alan T.

In a message dated 7/2/2003 2:45:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> This is totally ridiculous PTT and Push-To-Talk have been in the radio
> industry dictionaries and vocabularies since the advent of the two way
> radio.  These trademarks should be challenged.  That would be like someone
> trademarking the word car and banning all automobile manufactures from using
> the word or trademarking other common everyday use words to prevent someone
> from using them.  Nextel should embrace competition and focus on service so
> that they can serve the customer.  Who ever allowed Nextel to trademark
> these phrases and words should have their mental faculties checked.
> 
> Lindsay
>