Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cash windfall following cell phone ban

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:37:43 -0400

Cash windfall following cell phone ban

The New York Post newspaper has reported that local police have issued driving
offence fines worth over US$3 million for driving while using a cell phone since
the state banned the practice. Over the first five months of this year, police
issued more than 29,000 citations, a police spokesman told The New York Post in
Sunday editions. The state banned driving while using a cellphone back in November
2001.

Tickets for motorists caught using a cell phone while driving without a handsfree
kit are US$100.

The cash-strapped city nearly tripled the amount of cell-phone summonses issued
over the same period last year. About 10,600 tickets were given to cell- phone
violators between January and May 2002.

"We've been a lot more aggressive in issuing quality-of-life summonses that affect
safety," Burnes said. "The mere act of talking on a cell phone takes attention
away and creates a safety hazard."

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9222.shtml

Posted to the site on 07-Jul-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/