Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: [KD4RAA-K4JDR Rptrs] NCVEC Files FCC Petition to End Code Tests

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:59:37 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ellison [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 7:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [KD4RAA-K4JDR Rptrs] NCVEC Files FCC Petition to End Code Tests

If you would like to know exactly what rule changes were proposed, see
the text below.

APPENDIX PROPOSED RULES 

Proposed changes to Part 97 of Chapter I of Title 47 of the Code of
Federal Regulations to delete references to the Morse code exam element.
Part 97, is amended as follows: 

PART 97 -- AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE 

1. Section 97.301 is amended by revising paragraph (e) to read as
follows. The frequency tables in Section 97.301(a), (b), (c), (d) and
(e) remain unchanged. 

97.301 Authorized frequency bands. 

The following transmitting frequency bands are available to an amateur
station located within 50 km of the Earth's surface, within the
specified ITU Region, and outside any area where the amateur service is
regulated by any authority other than the FCC. (d) ****** (e) For a
station having a control operator who has been granted an operator
license of Novice Class, Technician Class or Technician Plus Class: 

Wavelength ITU Region 1 ITU Region 2 ITU Region 3 Sharing requirements,
see  97.303 

HF MHz MHz MHz paragraph: 

80 m 3.675-3.725 3.675-3.725 3.675-3.725 (a) 40 m 7.050-7.075 7.10-7.15
7.050-7.075 (a) 15 m 21.10-21.20 21.10-21.20 21.10-21.20 10 m 28.1-28.5
28.1-28.5 28.1-28.5 

VHF MHz MHz MHz 1.25 m - - 222-225 - - (a) 

UHF MHz MHz MHz 23 cm 1270-1295 1270-1295 1270-1295 (h)(i) 

2. Section 97.307 is amended by deleting paragraph (f)(9) and revising
paragraph (f)(10) to read as follows. Previous  97.307(f)(10) is
renumbered to (f)(9). Paragraphs (f)(11) to (f)(13) are renumbered to
(f)(10) to (f)(12). 

 97.307 Emission standards. 

(f) The following standards and limitations apply to transmissions on
the frequencies specified in 97.305(c) of this part. (10) A station
having a control operator holding a Novice Class, Technician Class or
Technician Plus operator license may only transmit a CW emission using
the international Morse code or phone emissions J3E and R3E. 

3. Section 97.313 is amended by revising paragraph (c)(2) to read as
follows: 

97.313 Transmitter power standards. 

(b) ****** (c) No station may transmit with a transmitter power
exceeding 200 W PEP on: (1) ****** (2) The 28.1-28.5 MHz segment when
the control operator is a Novice Class operator, a Technician Class
operator or a Technician Plus Class; or (3) ****** 

4. Section 97.501 is amended by revising paragraph (a) and (b) to read
as follows. 

97.501 Qualifying for an amateur operator license. 

Each applicant must pass an examination for a new amateur operator
license grant and for each change in operator class. Each applicant for
the class of operator license grant specified below must pass, or
otherwise receive examination credit for, the following examination
elements: (a) Amateur Extra Class operator: Elements 2, 3, and 4; (b)
General Class operator: Elements 2, and 3; (c) ****** 

5. Section 97.503 is amended by deleting paragraph (a). 

97.503 Element standards. 

(b) ****** 

6. Section 97.505 is amended by revising paragraph (a)(1), (a)(2), and
(a)(3) to read as follows. Paragraphs (a)(5), (a)(7), and (a)(9) are
deleted. 

97.505 Element credit. 

(a) The administering VEs must give credit as specified below to an
examinee holding any of the following license grants or license
documents: (1) An unexpired (or expired but within the grace period for
renewal) FCC-granted Advanced Class operator license grant: Elements 2
and 3. (2) An unexpired (or expired but within the grace period for
renewal) FCC-granted General Class operator license grant: Elements 2
and 3. (3) An unexpired (or expired but within the grace period for
renewal) FCC-granted Technician Plus Class operator license grant:
Element 2 (4) ****** (6) ****** (8) ****** (b) ****** 

7. Section 97.507 is amended by revising paragraph (a), (a)(2), and (c)
to read as follows. Paragraph (d) is deleted. 

97.507 Preparing an examination. 

(a) Each written question set administered to an examinee must be
prepared by a VE holding an Amateur Extra Class operator license. A
written question set may also be prepared for the following elements by
a VE holding an operator license of the class indicated: (1) ****** (2)
Element 2: Advanced, General, or Technician (including Technician Plus)
Class operators. (b) ******* (c) Each written question set administered
to an examinee for an amateur operator license must be prepared, or
obtained from a supplier, by the administering VEs according to
instructions from the coordinating VEC. 

8. Section 97.509 is amended by revising paragraph (f) to read as
follows. Paragraph (g) is deleted. 

97.509 Administering VE requirements. 

(e) ****** (f) No examination that has been compromised shall be
administered to any examinee. The same question set may not be
re-administered to the same examinee. (h) ****** 

-Tim
---
Tim Ellison ( [email-masked] )
Integrated Technical Services ( http://www.itsco.com )

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Musten [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 3:47 PM
To: Kd4raa-Repeater Group

forwarded from Dennis Mason,

(also releated story de KF4MOK  http://www.wiavic.org.au/mcw/index.html
)

>Subject: [cq-l] NCVEC Files FCC Petition to End Code Tests
>Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:13:58 -0400
>
>From the CQ Newsroom:
>
>The National Council of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (NCVEC), the 
>umbrella group that writes the amateur radio licensing exams, today 
>filed a petition with the Federal Communications Commission to 
>eliminate Morse code testing for amateur radio licenses in the United 
>States and other FCC-administered areas.
>
>Citing the decision by the 2003 World Radiocommunication Conference to 
>make Morse testing optional on a country-by-country basis, the NCVEC 
>noted that the United Kingdom and Switzerland had already acted to end 
>Morse examinations; stated that the Morse exam continues to be a 
>barrier to "otherwise qualified individuals" who want to become hams; 
>that it is a burden to applicants and examiners alike, and that code 
>proficiency should not be used to determine who may operate voice. It 
>asked for the immediate elimination of the Element 1 (code) exam 
>requirement for any class of amateur license.
>
>The NCVEC petition also calls for the FCC to grant Novice HF privileges

>to current Technician Class licensees.
>
>The FCC has not yet given the proposal a rulemaking number, so it is 
>not yet possible to file comments. We will keep you posted when this
occurs.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050631
08:HM/A=1688501/R=0/SIG=11if1rb57/*http:/webevents.yahoo.com/universal/seabi
scuit/> 

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1688501/rand=840198019> 

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.