Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 2 Children Safe After Carjacking- This is a perfect case to justify interoperability.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:03:28 -0400

I don't usually post "Car Jackings" but this one has radio related twist. Last
night Scan-dc (Wash, D.C.) enthusiasts were monitoring a "Car Jacking" (over the
air and via streaming audio) that went through many different jurisdictions.
Numerous aviation units were up as well as numerous police vehicles were in
pursuit. After a long chase they caught  the perp and recovered the two kids that
were in the backseat.

After the chase was one poster reported:

"Interesting to hear the chooper pilots say for 6 agencies that can't
talk to each other I think we did a pretty good job.
Jim< "

This is a perfect case to justify interoperability and I hope some does a case
study on this incident.

Another interesting point was one of the Scan-dc members offered a microcasstte of
the last few minutes of the chase on tape. The Wash Post  reported this in the
article below. This just gives some agencies fuel to boaster their claim for the
need of encrypted radios.

=========================================================================
2 Children Safe After Carjacking
By Petula Dvorak
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 16, 2003; Page B03

A high-speed car chase that streaked back and
forth across suburban Maryland last night ended
near Annapolis, where a carjacked
Mercedes-Benz carrying two frightened
Montgomery County toddlers was safely stopped
and the suspect was led away in handcuffs, police
said.

It began in Baltimore, where police spotted the
suspect in a stolen Infiniti on Interstate 95, said
Capt. John Fitzgerald, a Montgomery County
police spokesman.

The driver eluded Baltimore police, and about
8:30 p.m., after ditching the stolen car, he flagged
down a Montgomery County woman driving on
River Road, Fitzgerald said.

After the woman pulled over, he pulled her out of the black Mercedes-Benz SUV and
sped off with her 3-year-old boy and 18-month-old girl in the back seat,
Fitzgerald said. The man led police on a pursuit at up to 100 mph along highways
including the Capital Beltway, where at times dozens of police cars were following
the SUV.

Because the SUV had a communications and navigation system, police were able to
listen to what was going on inside the car and knew the children were safe,
Fitzgerald said.

As the suspect skirted one roadblock after another, police couldn't get too
aggressive because the children were in the SUV, said Lt. Bud Frank, a Maryland
State Police spokesman. They couldn't blow out his tires or force him off the
road. They hoped his fuel would run out.

The suspect was heading on Route 50 from Prince George's County toward Annapolis
when he made a U-turn and hit a roadblock near Route 301 and stopped, Frank said.
The man was being questioned by police last night. The children appeared uninjured
but were flown to Suburban Hospital, where they were reunited with their parents,
Fitzgerald said.
The hour-long drama was closely followed by police scanner buffs across the
region, who broadcast it through the Internet. An hour after the chase ended, one
person advertised audiotapes of the recorded chase for sale -- $15 apiece.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62450-2003Jul16.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:45:11 -0400

This story takes another turn-

knowlton wrote:

> as of 8:00pm edt scan mil/air audio feed has been pulled off the internet,after e-mails from montgomery co ,the maryland state police,the city of
> baltimore.
> as asked the feed has been remove. as for the 15$ i was not asking for it someone else was on this e-mail site. 2nd im removing my self from this
> list