Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Service Announcement-GE, Verizon Wireless Collaborate on Community Outreach

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:29:34 -0400

I encourage all readers to dig in their closets and pull out those aniquated AMPS,
NAMPS,CDMA,TDMA and iDEN phones and donate them to this worthy cause. I personally
donate at least every other year to this or a similar cause. This is one common ground where
all carriers have united. The Coalition Against Rape and Abuse is not the only
organization that collects used phones, here are some other links:

http://wirelessrecycling.com/home/mod.asp

www.sprintpcs.com/projectconnect

www.wirelessfoundation.org/12give/where.cfm

www.verizonwireless.com/jsp/aboutus/community_service/hopeline_fact.jsp

www.collectivegood.com

www.fundingfactory.com

www.trashphone.com
==================================================================================

GE, Verizon Wireless Collaborate on Community Outreach

GE employees and retirees are teaming with Verizon Wireless to reach out to the
community in a nationwide cell phone donation program aimed at benefiting victims
of domestic violence. Collaborating with Verizon Wireless’ Hopeline initiative, GE
Elfun Volunteers are working to collect used cell phones that will be refurbished,
recycled or resold, with proceeds directed at non-profit agencies that will
purchase cell phones for domestic violence victims. Verizon’s project with GE is
part of its goal to encourage many other organizations to involve themselves in a
worthy cause.

====================================================================================='

July 15, 2003

Program donate cell phones to victims
of domestic abuse

By JOHANNA DUERR Staff Writer, (609) 463-6713

A Cape May County organization that helps victims of domestic abuse and sexual
assault received Monday 50 free cellular telephones programmed with two emergency
numbers to provide more protection to victims.

Verizon Wireless, as part of its community service program, donated the telephones
to the Coalition Against Rape and Abuse and set up several phone drives throughout
the county through which people can donate their old telephones.
"For some people, this is literally life and death," Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew
said at the press conference Monday, which was attended by Middle Township elected
officials, representatives from Verizon and representatives from C.A.R.A.
"As we had the press conference today, a woman got raped, a woman got beaten," he
said. The 50 telephones were reprogrammed for victims to call either 911 or
C.A.R.A. Verizon covers the airtime. The telephones "can be used as high tech
weapons against attackers," said Christine Baron, Philadelphia regional president
for Verizon Wireless.

According to Kristen Raring Bixby, executive director of C.A.R.A., the telephones
will be distributed based on need and will give victims the "extra resource they
need to feel safe in this community." Incidents of domestic violence are high in
Cape, Atlantic and Cumberland counties, said Van Drew. Last year in Cape May
County, 700 restraining orders were issued to victims.

Verizon started the Hopeline program in 1995, and since then it has collected more
than a million cellular telephones. According to Baron, when the program started,
people questioned why they didn't choose a cause that affected more people. But,
she said, domestic abuse is widespread, and is underdiscussed by the public and
underreported to police.
For each telephone that is collected in the county phone drive, Verizon will
donate one dollar to the organization, up to $1,500.
Drop off points are Van Drew's office at 21 North Main Street in Cape May Court
House, the Dennis, Lower and Middle township municipal buildings, the Ocean City
Library and the Cape May County Library. Collections will be through Sept.  15.
Telephones from any carrier are accepted with the battery and charger.

For more information on drop-off locations, call 522-6489.

To e-mail Johanna Duerr at The Press:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/cape/071503CELLPHONES.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/