Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Africa GSM Market Growing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:27:15 -0400

Africa GSM Market Growing

A strengthening relationship between Somalia’s Nationlink Telecom and interWAVE is
improving the country’s GSM network. Nationlink recently placed an order for two
WAVEXchange II (WXC II) high-capacity GSM switches that will allow the mobile
phone operator to expand its GSM operations nationwide. The expansion of its GSM
network in other parts of the country follows a round of successes from deployment
in Nationlink’s southern markets. In other related news, North Africa is becoming
an increasingly hot market for GSM technology. Wireless researcher EMC says the
overall mobile users in the North African region grew 30 percent in 2002. An
additional 20 percent growth rate is expected in 2003.
GSM improves in Somalia
=====================================================================================

interWAVE has announced that Somalia's Nationlink Telecom, a GSM operator
affiliated with the Somali Telecom Group, has ordered two additional WAVEXchange
II (WXC II) high capacity GSM switches. Abdirizak Ido, president of Nationlink
Telecom, commented, "Four years ago we successfully deployed our initial starter
network in Somalia with interWAVE and we have been very pleased with the
reliability and scalability of the products, as well as the support that interWAVE
has provided in the intervening years.

With the addition of the leading-edge WAVEXchange II technology, Nationlink will
now transition into a nationwide full mobility GSM operator, and these two
additional WXC II switches will allow us to meet the growing demand for cellular
services in the Somali market. interWAVE has been an important technology partner
in our on-going development. We look forward to the market opportunities that lie
ahead with the knowledge that our technology needs can be met by interWAVE with
the most comprehensive radio and switching portfolio in the most cost-effective
manner in the industry."

The relationship between Nationlink and interWAVE commenced four years ago, when
Nationlink deployed a network in Somalia based on interWAVE's lower capacity GSM
switch, the WAVEXchange (WXC). Nationlink's success in the southern regions of the
country led to further orders from Galkom and STC, both sister companies of
Nationlink in the Somali market through the Somali Telecom Group organization.
Since then, interWAVE has shipped multiple expansion systems to these three
operators totaling over 39 radio sites in 11 different cities in Somalia,
including Mogadishu.

www.wow-com.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/