Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MCI spoofs originating point codes to avoid tariffs.

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 05:41:39 -0500

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/27/business/27MCI.html

" The engineer said that he was 'sure that the originating point
codes were changed because that was critical to the deception.' "

"In the case of SBC, Texas customers were complaining that the caller
identification function on their telephones was not working because it
showed a local call when, in fact, the call was long distance.
Investigators said they believed that the phones were not
malfunctioning, but that the caller identification reflected that the
phone codes had been altered to disguise the origin of the call."

Here's an interesting twist: many states have laws making it illegal to
conceal the origin of a phone call. The intent of the law was to
prosecute abusive telemarketers, scam artists and also help the
carriers with toll fraud.

The disparity in tariffs, toll charges, and access fees makes yet
another arguement for the "Dumb pipe" business analogy.

-rick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.