Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Flarion Gets More Funding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:17:16 -0400

Flarion Gets More Funding
BY BRAD SMITH
JULY 8, 2003

The venture capital arm of Germany's Deutsche Telekom, T-Mobile Venture Fund,
has made an undisclosed investment in the New Jersey wireless broadband
company Flarion Technologies Inc.

T-Mobile Venture's investment, together with earlier funding that reportedly
includes at least two wireless carriers, is enough to enable Flarion to
commercialize its flash-OFDM technology, according to Ronny Haraldsvik, the
company's senior director for marketing strategy.

Flarion's other investors include Korea wireless carrier SK Telecom. It and Nextel

Communications are among the operators testing Flarion's technology. Two
Korean fixed operators, Hanaro Telecom and KT, also have publicly announced
trials. Nextel reportedly is an investor, although that hasn't been publicly
acknowledged.

Haraldsvik says Flarion expects to announce trials with as many as 12 operators
by the end of the year, whom he said are interested in using flash-OFDM as a way
of providing wide-area high-speed wireless data and voice access either as a
complement or competition to 3G networks.

Although Flarion and T-Mobile Venture Fund didn't detail the level of investment,
the Financial Times said in a recent story that two unannounced operator-investors

had contributed $40 million. The newspaper identified one of the operators as
Nextel and the other as a European carrier, presumably Deutsche Telekom. The
investments gave Flarion a total of $100 million financing, the newspaper said.

'Our investment in Flarion provides us with a window on technology to what we
consider to be one of today's most exciting private wireless infrastructure
companies,' Axel Kolb, managing director of the T-Mobile Venture Fund, said in a
statement. 'We are investing in Flarion at a time where the company is poised to
make a difference in the wireless industry.'

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=07/08/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges at Myinks.com - Save 80%. Quality inkjet cartridges &
refill kits! FREE s/h on $50 orders to the US & Canada. Fast shipping.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hwZBYB/zoVGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/