Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RELM Wireless Announces Profit for Second Quarter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:22:39 -0400

RELM Wireless Announces Profit for Second Quarter

WEST MELBOURNE, Fla., Aug. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- RELM Wireless Corporation
(OTC Bulletin Board: RELM) today announced its operating results for the three and
six months ended June 30, 2003.  Revenue for the three months ended June 30, 2003
rose to $5.2 million, from $4.9 million for the same period last year.  Net income
for the three months ended June 30, 2003 was approximately $122,000, or $0.01 per
diluted share, up from $3,000, or $0.00 per diluted share for the same period last
year.

President and Chief Executive Officer David P. Storey said, "For the second
quarter, the improvement in revenues was driven by sales of new products,
including APCO Project 25-compliant digital products, such as the recently
introduced digital portable radio, the DPH, and sales of the RP Series analog
portable radios.

The increase in net income is a reflection of revenue growth combined with lower
product costs realized from strategic manufacturing relationships, as well as
reduced staffing and manufacturing support costs at the company's Florida
operations." Revenue for the six months ended June 30, 2003 was $8.8 million,
compared with $9.7 million for the same period last year, reflecting lighter
demand from our principal customers in federal and state government agencies
primarily during the first quarter.  Net loss for the six months ended June 30,
2003 narrowed to ($254,000), or ($0.03) per diluted share, compared with net loss
of ($1.0 million), or ($0.14) per diluted share for the same period last year. The
net loss for the first six months of the prior year included a non-recurring loss
of $0.9 million on notes receivable related to the 1997 sale of the Company's
former paper manufacturing subsidiary.  Mr. Storey commented, "We are continuing
to show solid operating improvements from prior quarters and last year, driven in
large part by new product revenues and lower costs.  Moreover, we successfully
achieved some important milestones during the second quarter.  Our new digital
APCO Project 25-compliant portable radio, the BK Radio-branded DPH, was recently
added to the U. S. Department of Interior contract.  The DPH was added to our
contract with the GSA earlier this year.  With the DPH and the RP Series portable
radios introduced earlier this year, combined with other new products slated for
introduction in coming months, we believe the company is well-positioned for
continued improvement."

For more than 55 years, RELM Wireless Corp. has manufactured and marketed two-way
FM business-band radios, as well as high-specification public safety mobile and
portable radios, repeaters and accessories, base station components, and
subsystems.  Revolutionary advances include new low-cost digital portable two-way
radios compliant with APCO Project 25 technical specifications.  Products are
manufactured and distributed worldwide under BK Radio, RELM, Uniden PRC and brand
names.  The company maintains its headquarters in West Melbourne, Florida and can
be contacted through its web site at http://www.relm.com or directly at
1-800-821-2900.

This press release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning
of the
Private Securities Litigation Reform Act Of 1995 and is subject to the safe-harbor
created by such act.  These forward-looking statements concern the Company's
operations, economic performance and financial condition and are based largely on
the Company's beliefs and expectations.  These statements involve known and
unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause the actual results,
performance or achievements of the Company, or industry results, to be materially
different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or
implied by such forward-looking statements.  Such factors and risks include, among
others, the following: the factors described in the Company's filings with the
Securities and Exchange Commission; general economic and business conditions;
changes in customer preferences; competition; changes in technology; changes in
business strategy; the indebtedness of the Company; quality of management,
business abilities and judgment of the Company's personnel; and the availability,
terms and deployment of capital.  Certain of these factors and risks, as well as
other risks and uncertainties are stated in more detail in the Company's Annual
Report on Form 10-K.  These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of
this press release, and the Company assumes no obligation to update the
forward-looking statements or to update the reasons why actual results could
differ from those projected in the forward-looking statements.

RELM WIRELESS CORPORATION

Condensed Consolidated Statements of Operations (In Thousands Except Per Share
Amounts)
Three Months Ended         Six Months Ended
(Unaudited)               (Unaudited)
6/30/2003    6/30/2002    6/30/2003    6/30/2002

Sales                      5,231        4,950        8,827        9,683

Costs & Expenses:
Cost Of Sales              3,466        3,412        5,985        6,789
SG&A                       1,546        1,460        2,912        2,870
Loss On Notes Receivable       0            0            0          900
Total Costs & Exp          5,012        4,872        8,897       10,559

Operating Income (Loss)      219           78          (70)        (876)

Other Income (Expense):
Interest Expense            (119)        (111)        (222)        (221)
Other Income (Expense)        22           36           38           84

Income (Loss) From
Operations                  122            3         (254)      (1,013)

Tax Expense (Benefit)          0            0            0            0

Net Income (Loss)           $122           $3        $(254)     $(1,013)

Earnings (Loss) per share - basic             $0.01          $--       $(0.03)
$ (0.14)

Earnings (Loss) per share - diluted           $0.01          $--       $(0.03)
$ (0.14)
Weighted Average Common
Shares Outstanding,
Basic                     8,565        8,327        8,559        6,989
Weighted Average Common
Shares Outstanding,
Diluted                   8,565        8,345        8,559        6,989

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-13-2003/0001999973&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO)
From: [email-masked]
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:11:57 -0400

Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO)

2003 Annual Conference
Monday

The annual conference kicked off with the announcement of this year's award
winners, a boisterous round of story-telling by Sam Donaldson, and a most-symbolic
appearance by FCC chair Michael Powell.

Vincent Stile was variously described as the group's president or acting vice
president in the conference brochure and when he was introduced to the 9 a.m.
opening session crowd.  Oddly, he made no mention of his temporary position or how
it came about-- APCO president Thera Bradshaw resigned last March for personal
reasons. Rather, he introduced special guests from the audience, including the
NENA board, FCC staffers, members of the Indianapolis police and fire departments,
his boss, and his wife.

Frequently joking about what the teleprompter was "making" him say to the
audience, Stile gave some conference session announcements, and then immediately
introduced Dean Dr.  James Wade of Jacksonville (Ala.) University for the
presentation of the first Bachelor's Degree candidate from APCO's Virtual
University. Maureen Jance graduated with a degree in emergency management within
three years instead of the normal four years, Wade said, calling it, "an
impressive feat" while working full-time. The University graduated its first
Associate Degree candidates last year.
Stile also presented a Presidential Award to Indiana state treasurer Tim Berry,
who has led the state in funding Phase II implementations. Stile noted that over
half the counties in Indiana have Phase II service for at least one wireless
carrier, and that Indiana is one of the national leaders in E911.

Stile then introduced Tim Jenkins, vice president and general manager of Intrado,
to present APCO's annual Telecommunicator of the Year award to Theresa Perkins
(left) of the Emergency Communications Department in Rochester (NY).
She has been a dispatcher since 1977, and was nominated by the center's director
for her, "unwavering dedication, her uncanny ability to communicate with the
caller who is dealing with the apparent imminent death of a loved one and the
impact her efforts have made on the chain of survival with successful results."
More specifically, she was cited for her handling of a cardiac arrest, and for a
choking call that both ended with saves.

The Line Supervisor of the Year award was presented by John Mengucco, vice
president of public safety and criminal justice at Lockheed, to Wendy Mann (left)
of the Gurnee (Ill.) 911 center. Her nomination praised her open-door policy for
dispatchers, taking on more work than required, and for her patience, knowledge
and thoroughness.

The Communications Center Director of the Year award was presented by Mengucco to
Cherie Curzon of the city of Riverside (Calif.) Public Safety Communications
Bureau. In her nomination, co-workers said she was instrumental in a recent
remodeling of the comm center, and worked to create a new 4-10 work schedule for
dispatchers. Curzon also takes very little credit for her work, the nomination
noted, preferring to nominate her employees for their hard work.

The Technician of the Year award was presented by Mengucco to John Wright, who
also works at Riverside's (Calif.) Public Safety Communications Bureau. Besides
handling the technical operations of a 3,000 radios, four sites, 911 gear,
consoles and a mobile data system, he also teaches radio operations at the police
academy. Oh, and he's missed only two days of work in 18 years!

Stile then introduced Jeff Robertson, president and CEO of CML Emergency Systems,
who in turn introduced ABC-TV correspondent and commentator Sam Donaldson-- who
strode on stage upon hearing his name, but long before Robertson was finished with
his extra-long introduction. Robertson claimed that Donaldson had once tossed a
match down the fuel filler of a pick-up truck when he was young, and that the
truck exploded.

Donaldson was animated and full of stores, recalling his days of covering the
White House back to the Reagan administration. His stories had no public safety
connection-- and he didn't try to make one, as conference speakers inevitably do.
Instead, he was the ultimate raconteur: his stories were amusing and usually
provided some insight into the subject of the story. He recalled meeting George W.
Bush briefly back in the old days, was skeptical of supply-side economics, said
that Jimmy Carter was no wimp. Oh, and as for tossing that match, Donald told the
crowd that it wasn't a match, and it wasn't a pick-up. Instead, Donaldson said, in
his youthful imagination he was, "tossing a hand grenade at a tank!"

When Donaldson finished, so was the opening session.

By the way, APCO made a major switch this year in the trade show hours: they held
the grand opening today at 5:30 p.m., and the exhibits were open until 8:30 p.m.
This years list of exhibitors totaled 321 booths.

Powell Speech

It has been promoted for weeks as a "special address" by FCC chair Michael Powell,
but his 25-minute remarks revealed little but continued support for public safety
at the Commission, and the date of the next meeting for the E911 Coordination
Initiative.  Nevertheless, it was a rare and symbolic appearance in front of a
public safety audience for the chairman, who is currently embattled in his support
over media ownership rules.

Powell began by praising the "extraordinary sacrifice and devotion of APCO’s
members." He said that, "Public service is both a heavy responsibility and a
sacred trust. Every day you put your lives on the line to make our homes more
secure, our streets safer and our communities more sound."

He said the FCC strives to fulfill the unique communications policy needs of first
responders. "Spectrum policy and homeland security are at the forefront of my
strategic plan for the Commission. Central to that plan is the implementation of
Enhanced 911 for wireless communications devices," Powell said. He recalled last
April's first meeting of the E911 Coordination Initiative, "but today I issue a
call to action for all the E911 stakeholders to build this era of cooperation into
a "New Era of Accomplishment.'"

Powell observed that, "Government cannot be a passive observer on E911-- instead
we must be an active participant. It is equally clear, however, that the FCC
cannot make E911 happen-- we need carriers, public safety, ILECs, equipment
vendors, and state and local governments to be full partners if the 'Era of
Cooperation' is to yield a lasting 'Era of Accomplishment.'"
He is energized by progress, Powell said, and added, "I have a number of key
announcements to make today about our future plans". But first he recalled the
accomplishments so far, including his recent visit to the Alexandria (Virg.)
police department comm center to witness first-hand how Phase II calls are
handled. The bottom line, Powell said, is that E911 works.
"We have also learned that our progress requires the use of an occasional stick,"
he said, pointing to several consent decrees reached with wireless carriers and
handset manufacturers during the past 15 months. He said that in addition to
"substantial fines," the carriers are now subject to binding deployment schedules
with automatic penalties if they fail to comply again.
Powell recounted the report the FCC commissioned from Dale Hatfield, which
identified some "regulatory ambiguities" that the Commission has tackled: set a
deployment schedule for small and mid-sized carriers clarified PSAP readiness
issues and established a certification process provided guidance on cost recovery
issues, and began a rulemaking on how the 911 rules should apply to technologies
such as Mobile Satellite Service, telematics services, and emerging voice services
and
devices Additionally, Powell said, the FCC staff prepared a report on
unintentional or harassing wireless 911 calls.
The Hatfield Report also identified the lack of coordination and information flow
between and among relevant stakeholders as a key issue, Powell said. In response,
he convened the FCC’s E911 Coordination Initiative that brought together
representatives from the federal government, the public safety community, wireless
carriers, local exchange carriers (LECs) and other interested stakeholders to
address ongoing implementation issues. such as Public Safety Answering Point
(PSAP) funding, wireless carrier implementation and prioritization, issues
relating to LECs, and the challenges faced by rural carriers.
"We think our efforts are starting to pay off," Powell told the APCO crowd of
about 600.  He noted that as of Aug. 1st, Phase II information is now being
provided by at least one wireless carrier in about 480 markets to more than 1,200
PSAPs, an increase of 50% over the prior quarter. For the six nationwide carriers,
over 65% of their markets deployed have come on line in the past six months, he
said, and every nationwide carrier using a handset-based approach is offering at
least one compliant handset. Both Sprint and Verizon offer their customers at
least ten Phase II handset models, and Sprint alone has sold over 11.6 million
such handsets.

In Indiana, Powell said, AT&T Wireless, Nextel, Sprint, and Verizon Wireless have
deployed Phase II in a number of areas including Indianapolis, Lake County,
Bloomington, and Terre Haute. "These are tremendous successes," Powell said, "and
our E911 deployment is broad-based and picking up rapidly."

Progress has been driven by the leadership of many individuals and organizations,
Powell said, including Senators Conrad Burns and Hillary Rodham Clinton, and
Representatives Anna Eshoo and John Shimkus. He cited members of APCO’s Project
Locate, who, "have worked tirelessly to offer PSAPs assistance with filing
requests for Phase II service and to open the lines of communication between PSAPs
and wireless carriers.

And while progress has been "impressive and sustained," Powell said, "We cannot
rest. There is still much to be done. And here is what we are going to do." The
first of his announcements was that the next session of the FCC’s E911
Coordination Initiative will take place on October 29 and 30, 2003. "At that
session, we will sound the call to action to our colleagues at the state level,"
Powell said. "There-- for the first time-- we will convene the E911 designees of
each of the State governors and U.S. territories.

Powell said the these leaders will provide a "key interface for E911 deployment
issues in the states and important points of contact for the vital public
education efforts that are essential to successful E911 deployment."
Powell drew the speech's only applause from the audience by saying, "Central to
this task will be building support for the idea that state funds set aside for
E911 deployment should be used for E911 deployment. Consumers have an expectation
that fees appearing on their bills for E911 will be used to further the deployment
of these life-saving technologies, and we must ensure that those expectations are
honored."

He said the second session of the Coordination Initiative would also tackle
current deployment issues, accuracy requirements and additional public education
efforts. Powell's second announcement was that the Commission will establish a
technical group to focus on 911 network architecture and technical standards
issues. He said that measuring and improving the accuracy of E911 location
information will be a key priority.  The group will be organized as a subcommittee
of the Network Reliability and Interoperability Council (NRIC), which will
continue to focus on homeland security issues under a new charter. He added that
Dale Hatfield has agreed to assist in all of these efforts.

Powell noted the work of the Emergency Services Interconnection Forum (ESIF) on
establishing methods for testing Phase II location accuracy, so they are
reproducible, consistent and valid. The final recommendations will be considered
by ESIF by the end of November, Powell said, and the FCC continues to monitor the
group's progress.

Powell then moved on to consumer outreach, noting that the public's knowledge
about Phase II plays a big role in its implementation. "It's my job-- and yours as
well-- to make sure that when consumers are at the kiosk at the mall, they don't
just ask about price, and how to download the latest tune from Britney Spears (his
prepared remarks used "Fifty Cent") as a ring tone. They also need to ask
carriers: "Do you provide E911 Phase II capability?" "How accurate is the E911
capability in this handset?" "What is your deployment schedule in my area?"

Powell noted that wireless is a highly competitive market, "and that enables every
consumer including you and me to vote with our respective checkbooks."
Furthermore, "Carriers that have invested substantial resources in deployment
schedules that are faster than their rivals should receive the benefits of that
investment. Not all carriers are created E911 equal-- and consumers have a right
to know."

But getting this technology deployed cannot be done by the carriers alone, Powell
pointed out. "Consumers also need to ask whether their state and local government
public safety answering points are Phase II capable. Again, if the answer is 'no'
we all need to ask 'why not?'"

He urged the public safety community to enlist consumers as allies in ensuring
that E911 deployment is properly funded and tended to in the political process at
all levels. "Once again, if this is a national priority-- and I believe it is--
then we should have a national dialogue about the responsibilities of each
stakeholder in making this work."

Spectrum Issues

Powell then turned to spectrum issues, saying, "First and foremost, public safety
needs reliable access to its existing spectrum resources, particularly at 800
MHz." He said the interference issues at 800 MHz are "very serious and complex."
In fact, "This may be one of the most challenging spectrum policy proceedings that
will come before this Commission."

He acknowledged receiving APCO's latest filing on the issue just last week, and
thanked all the submitting groups for their input. "Obviously you all are well
aware of the difficulties in reaching closure on how best to solve the 800 MHz
puzzle."
I think the collaborative efforts to find a solution to this problem have been
quite productive. I cannot tell you that we have yet resolved these issues; but I
can assure you that this proceeding is an absolute priority," Powell told the
crowd.
He mentioned the public safety allocation in the 700 MHz band, which is still
encumbered by TV broadcasters. "The Commission is also committed to speeding
public safety deployment in the 700 MHz band," Powell said.
The delay in the initial auction of the 700 MHz commercial bands has required
modification of the FCC’s original voluntary band clearing plan. But, "Congress is
exploring new options for moving this process forward," Powell said. In addition,
the FCC is tackling the challenge of the DTV transition to hasten the clearing of
the band. "Whatever the ultimate mechanism, rest assured that we understand the
need to make these frequencies available as soon as possible."

Powell explained, "But increasing spectrum efficiency isn't just about technology,
it's about people as well. We encourage the public safety community to develop
creative solutions promoting interoperability including strategic partnerships
between governmental and non-governmental users." He noted the recent allocation
of 50 MHz of spectrum available at 4.9 GHz. "In our decision," Powell said, "we
encourage public safety to develop partnerships with the critical infrastructure
community to provide secure communications."

In closing, Powell said the Commission looks forward to working with APCO on the
difficult challenges ahead. "These challenges are made easier, however, because we
share an absolute commitment to public service and advancing the public interest.
We share a commitment to homeland security and sound spectrum management. We share
a commitment to protecting our citizens when they need it most. With these common
values, we will also share in the success of solving these challenges for the
American people."

Powell was friendly after his speech-- he shook hands with APCO attendees outside
the meeting room for 10 minutes afterwards, chatted with them and took their
business cards.

Interoperability Check

In a panel session, APCO members learned about the various levels of
interoperability, and the benefits of them all.
First is simply swapping radios to allow other agencies to communicate on your
frequencies. This is a low-cost solution, but requires that you have a cache of
radios to
hand out when an emergency occurs. This solution is also fairly short-term

Another short-term, low-cost solution is using talk around channels to provide
inter-communications. The use of mutual aid channels also has similar pros and
cons.

Next on the interoperability list is using a console path gateway to route radio
transmissions from system to system. This alternative costs more, since it
requires system modification.

Next is system-specific roaming, which allows certain agencies to
inter-communicate only with certain agencies, based on the installation of a
device that routes communications among separate systems (ACU-1000 by JPS
Communications).
Lastly, standards-based systems allow complete interoperability among all users,
but require all radio systems to be built to the same standard. The Project 25
standard is used by public safety agencies, and provides this capability.

Richard Nowakowski from Chicago's Office of Emergency Communications explained
their use of the ACU-1000 mounted in a refurbished ambulance (Field Com) to link
up 19 local, state and federal agencies in the Chicago region. He also described
how they're testing a software-defined radio network to perform the same
inter-connection. The current Field Com unit is available to any participating
agency for help in handling a major or long-term incident.

Steve Souder from Montgomery County (Md.) described his region's standards-based
approach, using mainly Motorola built, Project 25 trunked radio systems in the 800
MHz band that were separately bid, built and operated by 50+ local jurisdictions,
but which can inter-communicate over a 400x150-mile swath centered on Washington
(DC). He noted two non-linked agencies: the DC Metro Police, and Prince Georges
County (Md.). By the way, he said the inter-connected systems were sparked by the
nation's first 800 MHz trunked public safety radio system at the Alexandria
(Virg.) police department.

Latest APCO Action

During a panel discussion with FCC staffers on various wireless and spectrum
issues, APCO's director of legal and government affairs Robert Gurss, told the
audience that on Monday APCO would file a Petition for Reconsideration with the
FCC on the issue deadlines for moving to 6.25 kHz channels.

Under the rules the FCC recently finalized, public safety agencies would have
until 2018 to make a complete switch from 25 kHz channel spacing to 6.25 kHz
spacing. There are also deadlines in 2004, 2008 and 2013 for radio manufacturers
and commercial radio users to transition to the narrow-band spacing.

According to Gurss, APCO will propose moving the public safety deadline up to 2013
(sooner), but moving the manufacturer deadlines back to the same year (later). The
FCC staff, including Michael Powell's senior legal counsel Brian Tramont, said
they looked forward to the APCO filing.

On the same issue, during the question and answer sessions, several audience
members noted that the FCC's rules didn't specify whether the move to 6.26 kHz was
limited to voice radio channels, and wondered how public safety agencies would
retain high-bandwidth data channels, which require a wider channel.

http://www.dispatchmonthly.com/apco2003/monday.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/