Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Study: Consumers Want PTT, Photo Messaging, Not Bluegoof

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:02:54 -0400

Study: Consumers Want PTT, Photo Messaging, Not Bluegoof

AUGUST 29, 2003

Oh, if the wireless sector only had a crystal ball into what consumers want, what
an easy marketing campaign that would be. Well, since that isn't going to happen,
carriers and handset manufacturers must rely on industry research. The latest:

Consumers want push-to-talk and photo messaging features on their phones, one
study says.

In a survey of 1,300 wireless consumers, Zelos Group found that nearly 50 percent
will be looking for an integrated wireless camera on their next handset, while 45
percent of those interested in PTT said the service topped their list of desired
features.
Text messaging ranked high among respondents, as did mobile gaming, but only a
small group said they would be willing to fork over cash for game content.

At the time of the survey, Nextel Communications was the only carrier offering
PTT, and 40 percent of respondents who do not have Nextel as their carrier
expressed an interest in the service. Verizon has since launched a walkie-talkie
like service of its own. Sprint and AT&T Wireless are likely not far behind.
Although the PTT arena will get crowded, and quick, the research firm believes
full interoperability between networks is at least two years out.

"Successful carrier strategies will tap consumers' desires to add context to
communications, to make a social statement or to seek diversionary entertainment,"
said Seamus McAteer, senior analyst for Zelos Group.

Despite all the hype in the industry about Bluetooth technology and its
capabilities, consumers are still unaware of the technology, according to the
researchers. Study participants ranked Bluetooth last in a list of 10 features
they would look for on their next handset. "If Bluetooth is to enjoy wide appeal,
carriers and handset manufacturers must clearly articulate one or two useful
applications of the technology," McAteer said.

Wireless number portability is another hotbed discussion in the industry, but
among those surveyed, only 17 percent said they would switch if they could keep
their phone number - which is in line with industry churn rates, leading Zelos
analysts to believe that even if that 17 percent couldn't take their number with
them, they would switch anyway.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=08/29/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/