Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Need views on future of VHF & UHF,also trunking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:37:25 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: "Brockcom" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Need views on future of VHF & UHF,also trunking

Radio folks, I own a small 2-way sales and service shop.  We have a lot of
dissatisfied Nextel, etc. customers who come to us looking for regular repeater
service.  I'm sure it's happening all over the country.  In our area nearly all of
the UHF repeaters have been shut down and there is almost no UHF repeater service
available, trunked or otherwise.  And what little is available is located with all
the other TV, radio, paging, etc. systems and suffers from serious
intermod/interference problems.  We're thinking of setting up a tower or towers on
a different site and we would be doing some pretty heavy investing (for us it's
heavy anyway) in either a conventional or trunked UHF repeater system.  Sort of a
step back in technology where the cost of communicating is simpler and cheaper.  I
feel that the demand would be there for previous repeater users who are
dissatisfied, and also for brand new companies that want a simple way to
communicate with some roving employees.  HOWEVER, that's just my feeling.  Also,
our city of 400,000 continues to grow very rapidly. 

Some of my questions are:  Is there sufficient dissatisfaction out there (with
cost vs. performance) with the new communication technologies that people would go
back to repeaters?  Do you folks think that the industry will continue to make UHF
conventional/trunked radios and repeater equipment for the next 10, 15, 20 years? 
Or will the new technology (Nextel, cell phones, satellite phones/radios, etc.)
take over regardless of whether it's the most efficient thing for every customer? 
In other words, is it worth the investment I'm talking about?  There's a lot of
experience out there and lots of you folks keep your ears to the ground on
technology trends much more so than I ever could.  All opinions would be
appreciated.  Also, maybe some of you know of some articles along these lines
written by some industry gurus and can pass that along to me too.  Thanks in
advance to all who help.  -  John, Owner, Brock Communications

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/