Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Interoperability Guaranteed Between Local and Backbone Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:15:51 -0400

Interoperability Guaranteed Between Local and Backbone Networks

By Bridget Mintz Testa

Corporate customers relieved that frame relay and, eventually, ATM, will work with
MPLS

30 July 2003—Suppose that your company, like United Parcel Service of America Inc.
(UPS, Atlanta, Ga.) and many other businesses, has a data network that represents
a lot of investment, knowledge, and expertise. Suppose, further, that your
company’s data network, like that of UPS, connects to and relies on a high-speed
backbone network to transmit information cross-country or around the world.
Although the two networks don’t speak the same language—that is, use the same
telecommunications protocols—that’s O.K., because the capability to translate
between the networks has long been established and works fine. Now suppose that
you hear that the backbone network’s protocol is going to be replaced by a whole
new one. With that news, you, or any business dependent on that backbone network,
would be concerned that your data network would still be able to speak seamlessly
with the new network protocol, whatever it is.

That’s why the demonstration of an interoperability standard between frame relay,
the most common corporate data network protocol, and multi-protocol label
switching (MPLS), the upstart backbone protocol, at the telecommunications
convention, SuperComm, in Atlanta, last June has businesses breathing easier.
Globally, businesses have installed a total of 12 million frame relay connections
and, in 2002, spent US $14.5 billion on frame relay services, according to
research firm Vertical Systems Group Inc. (Westwood, Mass.).

The interoperability announcement means that businesses won’t have to rip up their
reliable, secure, trusted frame relay data networks and spend lots of money to
replace them. What might seem like a rather obscure announcement has financial
repercussions of billions of dollars.  "People want to make sure they can keep
using frame relay for a long, long time," says Rosalyn Roseboro, program director
for switching and routing at research house RHK Inc. (South San Francisco,
Calif.).
As a protocol, frame relay is a bit slow, with a typical maximum transmission
speed of a T1 line (about 1.5 Mb/s). However, it is cheap, well known, highly
reliable, and very flexible. Corporate frame relay networks also have one
additional and unbeatable characteristic: they’re already built and paid for.
Including training and equipment, frame relay technology represents "a tremendous
12-year embedded investment of $20 billion worldwide," says Roger Ruby, chair of
an industry group called the Frame Relay Forumbefore it merged with the MPLS Forum
to create the MPLS and Frame Relay Alliance (Fremont, Calif.) in April.

But corporate networks don’t stand alone. Instead, they use dedicated lines that
stretch to the nearest telecommunications company node—a distance that may be less
than a mile to a few miles. Once corporate lines reach a telecom node, they
interface with the carrier’s high-speed backbone network. There, the data gets
carried by, but not necessarily converted into, the backbone network’s protocol.

There are many kinds of backbone networks, and they use different protocols. The
specifics for each network depend upon its purpose, when it was built, the state
of technology at the time, and many other factors. However, frame relay networks
commonly link up to backbone networks that use a protocol called asynchronous
transfer mode (ATM). ATM is common primarily because it was extensively deployed
in the mid-1990s as the sole broadband backbone technology capable of carrying
voice, data, and video. Interoperability between frame relay and ATM was
established in 1995, and the two have worked together ever since.

Despite that, ATM is not necessarily the perfect telecom mate for frame relay.
Both are packet-type technologies, but whereas frame relay uses a variable-length
data packet (a frame) of up to 4096 bytes, ATM uses a fixed-length data packet (a
cell) of 48 bytes (plus a 5-byte header).  "Whenever frame relay is carried over
ATM, it has to go through a segmentation process to split the frames into cells,
and then the frames have to be reassembled at the far end of the network,"
explains Andrew Malis, chairman and president of the MPLS and Frame RelayAlliance.

Segmentation, however, is not perfect. Not all cells are completely filled with
the frame’s data, so extra cells are produced, lengthening the message. In
addition, every one of the many ATM cells built from a single frame gets a new
header. These translation steps add overhead. "On average," Malis says, "there is
a 15–20 percent added overhead. This takes additional capacity in the network." To
send a 100-byte frame relay message, for instance, an ATM network must carry
115–120 bytes.
This is where MPLS comes in as a replacement for ATM. Like frame relay, MPLS uses
a variable-length data packet, eliminating the need to chop big frames up into
tiny cells. There’s no need to add headers, either. In effect, an MPLS network
need carry only 100 bytes to send a 100-byte frame relay message.

Besides the lower data overhead, MPLS has another advantage over ATM: it’s faster.
"The general opinion is that very high bit rates are harder to do on ATM than on
MPLS," says Rick Townsend, president of the ATM Forum and chair of the forum’s
technical committee. He adds that OC-192 (9.9 Gb/s ) is "about the transition
point where MPLS starts to look better than ATM." Currently, OC-192 is the top
speed for most optical fiber backbone networks, but OC-768 (40 Gb/s) is on its
way.
No matter how much better MPLS may be than ATM as a backbone technology, "MPLS
can’t replace ATM unless it can carry frame relay," says John Killeen, director of
global network services at UPS. And now it will. MPLS-frame relay interoperability
means that UPS and every other business with a frame network can keep it running
indefinitely.

The next step by the MPLS-Frame Relay Alliance will be to work with the ATM Forum
to establish interoperability standards between ATM and MPLS. That
interoperability is important because MPLS will be implemented over a period of
years. At first there will be islands of MPLS technology in a sea of ATM, and then
the reverse is expected. Ultimately, many in the industry believe that ATM will
vanish from the backbone completely.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/jul03/relay.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/