Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Can You Hear Me Now?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:11:47 -0400

Can You Hear Me Now?
DSLreports.com
Posted 08-18 13:05
See: trouble wireless

Interference concerns 'priority' for FCC
BPL hasn't cornered the market on interference; reminds Project Consensus,
reporting that a growing number of public safety agencies can't conduct emergency
communications thanks to interference. Amateur radio hobbyists, who have been
complaining about interference coming from broadband powerline trials, are only
the latest entries in a battle over the nation's cluttered airwaves.
Nextel, one of the nations largest providers of wireless communications services,
has spent the last year facing off against public safety with the FCC acting a
referee.

Although Nextel is the largest single offender, other providers are involved; with
the endless bickering over the proper solution (and the price tags of said
solutions) failing to produce much in the way of results. Meanwhile, thanks to the
poorly managed and overpopulated airwaves, a growing number of police officers
can't call for backup says the Washington Post, and firefighters can't get
ambulance support.

FCC chief Michael Powell claims the problem is one of the commission's "highest
priorities", and is considering shuffling channels in the 800 megahertz band,
isolating wireless companies from public safety departments.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/31435

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/