Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Garmin Wants To Send Data Over GMRS Freqs.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:20:15 -0400

The GMRS people will be jumping up and down to this one.........
But as normal the FCC will dismiss their ranting and approve Garmins request.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As previously reported by Alan D.

 DA 03-2666
Released:  August 18, 2003

WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON GARMIN INTERNATIONAL, INC.,
REQUEST FOR WAIVER TO AUTHORIZE GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE MOBILE UNITS CAPABLE
OF TRANSMITTING GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM INFORMATION

Comment Date:  September 17, 2003   Reply Comment Date:  October 2, 2003
On May 21, 2003, GARMIN International, Inc., (GARMIN) filed a request for waiver
of the Commission’s Rules  to permit the manufacture, sale, and use of General
Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) Rules to allow F2D emissions for the transmission of
Global Positioning System (GPS) location information, and user generated text
messages, by GARMIN’s GPS-enhanced GMRS mobile radios on “simplex” or non-repeater
GMRS channels.

GARMIN seeks the authority to manufacture and market inexpensive, handheld GMRS
mobile receivers capable of transmitting GPS location information on GMRS
frequencies.  Garmin proposes that the GPS enhancement to GMRS transmissions would
be subject to the following conditions and requirements that (a) transmission of
GPS location data is limited to GMRS mobile units that have integrated
(non-detachable) antennas; (b) that transmission of GPS location information is
limited to 462 MHz GMRS channels, as specified in sections 95.29(a) and (f), that
do not involve repeater operations; (c) that transmission of GPS location data be
limited to an authorized bandwidth of no more than 12.5 kHz; and (d) that
transmission of GPS location data in the GMRS be subject to the same conditions
for transmitting location data as in the Family Radio Service (FRS).   GARMIN
argues that allowing GMRS users to transmit their location will afford the public
increased safety and peace of mind.   On July 22, 2003, GARMIN filed a petition
for rulemaking to amend the Part 95 Rules to permit the manufacture, sale, and use
of GMRS rules to allow F2D emissions for the transmission of GPS location
information, and user generated text messages, on GPS-enhanced GMRS mobile radios
on “simplex” or non-repeater GMRS channels.

Interested parties may file comments on GARMIN’s Waiver Request on or before
September 17,  2003. Parties interested in submitting reply comments must do so on
or before October 2, 2003.  All comments should reference GARMIN’s Waiver Request,
including the DA number of this Public Notice, and should be filed with the Office
of the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission, 445 12th Street, S.W.,
TW-325, Washington, D.C. 20554.  A copy of each filing should be sent to:  (1)
Qualex International, Inc., Portals II, 445 12th Street, S.W., Room CY-B402,
Washington, D.C. 20554, (202) 863-2893; (2) Jeannie Benfaida, Federal
Communications Commission, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Public Safety and
Private Wireless Division, 445 12th Street, S.W., Room 4-C448, Washington, D.C.
20554; and (3) Maria Ringold, Federal Communications Commission, Consumer and
Governmental Affairs Bureau, Reference Information Center, 445 12th Street, S.W.
Room CY-B529, Washington, D.C. 20554.

The full text of the Waiver Request, comments and reply comments will be available
for inspection and duplications during regular business hours in the Reference
Information Center (RIC) of the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, Federal
Communications Commission, 445 12th Street, S.W., CY-A257, Washington, D.C.
20554.  Copies may also be purchased from the Commission’s duplicating contractor,
Qualex International, Portals II, 445 12th Street, S.W., Room CY-B402, Washington,
D.C. 20554, (202) 863-2893, facsimile (202) 863-2898, or via-e-mail
[email-masked]. For further information regarding the public reference file for
this Request, contact Maria Ringold, Chief, Wireless Branch, RIC, (202) 418-1355.

Unless otherwise provided, requests for waiver of the Commission's Rules are
subject to treatment by the Commission as restricted proceedings for ex parte
purposes under Section 1.1208 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. § 1.1208.
Because of the policy implications and potential impact of this proceeding on
persons not parties to the waiver request, we believe it would be in the public
interest to treat this case as a permit-but-disclose proceeding under the ex parte
rules, See 47 C.F.R. §§ 1.1200(a), 1.1206.  Therefore, subsequent to the release
of this Public Notice, ex parte presentations that are made with respect to the
issues involved in the subject Waiver Request will be allowed but must be
disclosed in accordance with the requirements of Section 1.1206(b) of the
Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. § 1.1206(b).

For further information, contact Jeannie Benfaida, of the Public Safety and
Private Wireless Division of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau at (202)
418-2313, TTY (202) 418-7233, or via e-mail to [email-masked].

 By the Chief, Public Safety and Private Wireless Division, Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau.
-FCC-

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2666A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/