Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Huge Blast Hits Area Around U.N. in Iraq

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:12:31 -0400

Huge Blast Hits Area Around U.N. in Iraq
2 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A huge explosion Tuesday rocked the area around the Canal Hotel in
northeast Baghdad. The building
houses United Nations (news - web sites) headquarters in the capital.

Residents about a mile away said their windows were blown out.

U.S. Black Hawk helicopters could be seen flying toward the scene of the
explosion. Black smoke
rose hundreds of feet into the air.

Witnesses said they saw dark smoke rising from the hotel itself. U.S. military
officials could not
confirm what had happened. United Nations weapons inspectors worked out of the
hotel during the
period before the war in Iraq (news - web sites) as the international community
sought, but failed to
find, Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s alleged weapons of mass destruction.

"My house shook like it did during the bombing at the start of the war," a
resident in the area around
the hotel said.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/