Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile text hoax strikes Vodafone customers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 03:43:44 -0400

With each new communications medium comes the same gullible people.

Apparently, someone has taken the popular email hoax of "forward this to 10
people and you'll get some prize" and turned it into a text message for
users of Vodafone's service. Vodafone says to ignore it, and there's nothing
they can do about it. However, gullible customers are pissed off that they
had to spend $2 to send out all those text messages. My thoughts? If
gullible people have to spend money every time they fall for things like
this, maybe it'll force them to stop and think before they pass stuff on.
Next thing you know, they'll be blaming the phone company for the $35
million they didn't get from a Nigerian princess.
Contributed by [email-masked]

------------------------------------------
Mobile text hoax strikes Vodafone customers

09.08.2003

A mobile phone text message promising $20 credit if customers forward it to
10 people is a hoax, Vodafone says.

The company says there is nothing it can do about it and customers should
ignore the message.

But Vodafone customer Steve Dyhrberg, who has received five copies of the
message since Thursday, is angry the company has not told clients it is a
hoax. He says Vodafone is making money from it while its customers lose $2
for every 10 people they send it to.

Vodafone said the message had surfaced twice in six months. Customers who
had forwarded the message would not be reimbursed, as it was not a Vodafone
offer.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3517240&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/