Subject: [NEXTEL-1] adidas, Allstate Insurance, HP and Nextel Among Corporate Sponsors Supporting Inaugural Literacy Classic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:24:37 -0400

adidas, Allstate Insurance, HP and Nextel Among Corporate Sponsors Supporting
Inaugural Literacy Classic

Literacy Week Activities to Kick-Off Throughout Bay Area on August 18, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 20 corporate and
community organizations have signed on as sponsors and supporters of
Literacy Week and the highly anticipated Literacy Classic.  The 2003 Literacy
Classic activities kick-off on August 18, 2003, with a week-long series of
events promoting literacy and education.  Literacy Week activities will
feature a variety of events and special programs including team visits to
Bay Area libraries and children's hospitals, readings with Bay Area youth, and
a Multicultural Festival.
Literacy Week culminates on August 23 with the inaugural Literacy Classic.
The Literacy Classic marks the first NCAA football game of the 2003 season and
features the San Jose State University Spartans hosting the Grambling State
University Tigers at 3 p.m. Pacific time on August 23, 2003, at San Jose State
University's Spartan Stadium.  The game will be nationally televised on ESPN2
and will include a special half-time show featuring the world-renowned
Grambling Tiger Marching Band.
Official Sponsors for the 2003 Literacy Classic and Literacy Week
activities include:  adidas, Albertson's, Allstate Insurance, CityFlight,
Clear Channel, Dave & Buster's, ESO, ESPN, HP, KBLX, McDonalds, Nextel,
San Jose Mercury News, San Jose State University, Tager Group, United Way,
Unity Care and VIPlineup.com.  Supporting organizations include:  San Jose
Chamber of Commerce, San Jose Convention and Visitor's Bureau, and San Jose
Sports Authority.
"Allstate is thrilled to be one of the official sponsors of Literacy
Week," said Bob Daniels, corporate relations manager for California, Allstate
Insurance.  "This sponsorship strategically supplements our national marketing
efforts and underscores our commitment to supporting efforts that benefit the
communities we serve."
"HP is honored to sponsor Literacy Week and the inaugural Literacy
Classic," said Bess Stephens, vice president, HP Philanthropy and Education.
"Before we can bridge the digital divide or inspire the next generation of
inventors, students must be literate."
"We are pleased to welcome this distinguished list of companies and
organizations as an integral part of the Literacy Classic at a time when
strong brands such as adidas, Allstate, HP and Nextel are carefully selecting
their marketing opportunities," said Andre V. Chapman, co-chairman,
Literacy Classic Organization.  "The Literacy Classic provides our sponsors
with an excellent opportunity to reach a diverse audience and be associated
with a highly anticipated event that aims to leverage athletics to underscore
the importance of academics and literacy."
"As a global brand, the worldwide appeal of college football makes
sponsorship of the Literacy Classic a natural fit for adidas," said
Kevin Wulff, Director, Sports Marketing, adidas America.  "This sponsorship is
a logical extension of our strategy to align with elite sporting events of
interest to our target customer base."
Literacy Week and the Literacy Classic are expected to draw
65,000 attendees from out of state and throughout the Bay Area.
More information on the Literacy Classic is available at
http://www.literacyclassic.org.  Tickets are available through Ticketmaster or
through the San Jose State University athletics ticket office located at
Seventh and Alma in San Jose.

About the Literacy Classic
The Literacy Classic organizing committee is a non-profit entity, which
aims to raise literacy awareness and generate capital to fund regional
programs that support literacy and academic achievement.
For additional information, please call 408-971-0199 or visit
http://www.literacyclassic.org.

CONTACT:  media, Kelly Schwager of Tager Group, +1-408-354-1396, or
[email-masked], for Literacy Classic.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-11-2003/0001998785&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/