Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] GSME Code of Conduct

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:00:50 -0400

I had a wry smile at your thoughts and I can well see why you might think
its a mess.
Of course, we've had GSM since 1993, so we've got use to it....

There are many different monthly tariffs and Orange and others do give away
free minutes and offer various call package incentives. To say we had just
one
standard price, would be incorrect. For example, some packages have a
monthly
subscription rate of £14.99.  Mobile operator 3 (Hutchinson Orange) are
currently
offering £25.00 for 500 minutes per month. However, pre-pay users make up a
significant
number of subscribers in the UK - so certain types of incentives, like free
minutes, are
not relevant to certain types of pre-pay packages.

Virgin Mobile, a Virtual Mobile Operator, now offers 3p charge to send an
SMS texts
to another Virgin Mobile user.  Some call rates (dependent upon tariff
package) are
about 5p per minute. Due to regulation from OFTEL it is cheaper now to
phone a
mobile than a landline in certain instances. Businesses making  mobile
calls can be
charged less, dependent upon how the corporate user gets the call routed.

Coverage generally in the UK is good, not 100%, but very close to the top
marker.
Vodafone does offer reasonably good coverage.

I can't say that I am over impressed with 3's moving video lark. Moving
video may
have a novelty feel about it, but after two days you think well what else
is new. A prime
problem with this new 3 technology is that it only works well if the person
you are calling
has the same type of device. Also, the coverage for 3 is limited to certain
major cities.  
GPRS had this problem as well, I think. When 02 launched the viewable
wireless films, the
demos in the shops were excellent. Using it elsewhere though was reliant
upon GPRS services
being available in that location.

MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) picture messaging is becoming more
popular. MMS
again requires the called party to have the same type of handset devices to
view the content,
otherwise the called party has to visit a website to collect images.

GSM still rules. Most people just want to make calls and send text
messages. GSM really
hasn't been fully exploited yet and there is still room for new features.
Downloadable Ring
Tones have proven that point , and Skins (screen images) are nearly as
popular. 

For moving video and MMS,  I think everyone is waiting to see the charging
practices of the
mobile operators where these types of call traffic are made when roaming.

Greg UK

-------------Forwarded Message-----------------

From:   INTERNET:[email-masked],
INTERNET:[email-masked]
To:     [unknown], INTERNET:[email-masked]
        
Date:   19/08/103 14:02 PM

RE:     Re: [NEXTEL-1] GSME Code of Conduct

What a mess!

What are the per minute rates like over there in the UK do you guys get
buckets of minutes, Free Nights & weekends for
39.99 like we do? And what about roaming in the UK? How is VOD's Coverage

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:16:03 -0400

Thanks for the update.
Keep the info coming.....