Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More Hot Spots Pop Up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:46:47 -0400

More Hot Spots Pop Up
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
AUGUST 7, 2003

In the United States, revenue generated from hot spots is expected to exceed $800
million by 2007, according to Parks Associates. And as evidenced by the barrage of
Wi-Fi rollout announcements in the last several weeks, everyone wants a piece of
Wi-Fi pie. The latest players making some inroads are Air-Q Wi-Fi Corp.  and Vicom
Inc.
Wi-Fi access provider Air-Q has started building out its first access system in
Baton Rouge, La. The company's first five hot spots are slated for completion at
the end of this month. The company plans to leverage the local cable operator's
local network for Internet access.When the Baton Rouge network is complete, it
will support roughly 100 hot spots throughout the city.

Vicom Inc. is relying on the coffee bean to brew up some business. The company has
inked a deal to deliver its high-speed wireless Internet access service to
Steaming Bean Coffee shops throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn., metro area.
Initial service will be available in 15 shops.

In the last couple of weeks, industry players Sprint, Verizon Wireless and SBC
Communications have all unveiled their Wi-Fi rollout plans. "The majority of early
adopters are business travelers, and they will be a major part of the market for
years to come," says Yuanzhe (Michael) Cai, a Parks Associates research analyst.
"For the market to move beyond road warriors, however, telecom carriers have to
bundle hot spots with their other communications services and provide continuous
support for the market," he says.

Yesterday, SBC announced it was rolling out Wi-Fi in public spots to support its
bundled broadband offering.

This year alone, hot spots revenue is predicted to reach $105 million, with a
compounded annual growth rate between 2003 and 2007 of 50 percent, says Parks in
its "Public Hot Spots' Moving Beyond Road Warriors" report.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=08/07/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:59:19 -0400

How could one tell if any service is offered in a area without having a
wireless card??

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:28:27 -0400

Many groups are mapping nodes all across the USA. I would search the groups below to see if it's in your area. The
other other is to do a "Look-See" and visually inspect for nodes (transceivers) but since most are smaller than a note
book they may be hard to find.  Where are you?

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/

http://www.wifimaps.com/

http://www.hotspotlist.com/

and of course you can check with T-mobile, Verizon and other wireless carriers websites.