Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel to offer Wi-Fi- Nextel to launch hybrid wireless service with RadioFrame Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:59:42 -0400

Nextel to offer Wi-Fi- Nextel to launch hybrid wireless service with RadioFrame
Networks

  August 18, 2003

 Nextel, in partnership with RadioFrame Networks, will launch this week a unique
hybrid wireless service that guarantees improved in-building signal strength for
both voice and data with the option to create a campuswide wireless LAN using the
same equipment.

 The integrated service will use Nextel’s iDEN network for wide area cellular
coverage and RadioFrame’s hybrid access points [APs], which give an IT department
the option of including seven different radio antennas in a single device by
adding “blades,” or cards the size of a cassette tape, to the AP, according to Jon
Pelson senior director of Custom Network Solutions at Nextel.
“Wi-Fi is everywhere the customer wants it. You can slide in different blades,
slide in an iDEN blade, a wireless LAN blade -- whatever you need. And if it is
802.11g, or ultra wideband, the access point can accommodate that, too” said
Pelson.

While there is no five 9s (99.999 percent uptime) designation for cellular
service, Pelson described the improvement in uptime for its service as “five bar
service,” referring to the highest measurement of signal strength found on most
cellular phones.
Access points, or more accurately base stations, from RadioFrame distributed
throughout a building include antennas connected to the iDEN network which are
responsible for the improved in-building signal strength, according to a
RadioFrame executive. “If you walk into a building today and you drop a call, what
you will get [using a RadioFrame AP] is a 100 percent improvement,” said Elliott
Hoole, senior director of technology development at RadioFrame.

Despite the integration of WLAN and WAN service in a single access point, there
are no immediate plans to offer what is often called seamless roaming between the
two networks, said Pelson. The technology certainly lends itself to that next
step, and Nextel is looking at the technology needed to create a seamless roaming
experience for its customers, but it is not on any Nextel product roadmap at this
time, he added. Nor is Nextel planning to offer the hybrid service to consumers,
although the carrier is also looking at that possibility.

However, one industry analyst believes that technology such as RadioFrame’s will
broaden the scope of the wireless footprint in the enterprise. “As coverage
improves, companies can seriously consider voice over IP. It’s a real positive,”
said Shiv Bakhshi, research manager for Mobile and Wi-Fi Infrastructure at IDC in
Framingham, Mass.
Nextel will also offer WLAN management software as well as the ability for Nextel
to remotely monitor the hardware and send alerts if a device needs to be replaced.

Pricing for the service is based on the number of Nextel handsets, length of the
subscriber service, type of voice and data Nextel service selected, and the number
of access points deployed.
The RadioFrame access points are compatible with wireless client cards tested for
compatibility by the Wi-Fi Alliance. The service is available now.

  http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/18/HNNextel_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/