Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Official touts FCC's UWB work

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:41:57 -0400

Official touts FCC's UWB work

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
Aug. 21, 2003

WASHINGTON

Edmond Thomas, chief of the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology,
continued his cheerleading of ultra-wideband technologies Thursday when he
gave reporters a rare glimpse into the technical engineering side of his job
by taking them on a tour of the FCC's Engineering Lab.

A major theme of the tour was the work that engineers are doing with various
UWB devices. Thomas announced that the Federal Communications Commission is
now testing actual UWB devices. In the lab Thursday were real-life examples
of ground-penetrating radar devices.

During an outdoor demonstration, Thomas and other engineers showed reporters
that a handheld global positioning system satellite device did not
experience interference when placed directly in the path of the UWB device.
They contrasted this with the impact to the GPS receiver from a mobile TV
receiver that was recently taken off the market because it interfered with
GPS.

Thomas came to the FCC as the final battle for UWB authorization was being
waged in late 2001. Since the limited authorization was adopted in early
2002, he has consistently downplayed the concerns of the GPS community,
including some mobile-phone carriers.

Thursday's tour was another event in his campaign to prove that UWB has
great benefits and causes little harm.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14793

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/