Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CDMA consortium applies for Iraqi mobile license

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:21:14 -0400

CDMA consortium applies for Iraqi mobile license
By Jeffrey Silva
August 22 13:41:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Sources say a consortium with investors from Iraq, the United States,
South Korea and the United Kingdom has applied to construct U.S.-engineered CDMA
mobile-phone networks in Iraq, despite indications the U.S.-led Coalition
Provisional Authority and new telecom ministry may be leaning toward
European-based GSM because the technology is prevalent in the region and would
facilitate roaming.

The CDMA consortium is led by Liberty Mobile reportedly under the direction of
Irish businessman Declan Ganley, who has investments in several mobile systems in
Europe.

The deadline for submitting bids for the three regional mobile-phone licenses in
Iraq was yesterday.
Bahrain Telecommunications Co. and Turkcell said they filed applications to
construct GSM mobile-phone systems. Other consortia with operation experience in
and investment from the Middle East are in the competition for Iraqi wireless
permits as well, according to sources. The CPA has not said whether it will post a
list of candidates for the regional mobile licenses, which are expected to be
awarded in about two weeks.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14815

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/