Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Defying the FCC, unlicensed radio station back on air

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:47:37 -0400

Defying the FCC, unlicensed radio station back on air 

8/24/2003 

BRATTLEBORO

With the flick of a few switches, the Ramones's ''We Want the Airwaves'' blasted
out across the 107.9 FM frequency and Radio Free Brattleboro returned to the local
airwaves. 

The unlicensed, all-volunteer station was shut down June 24 by agents from the
Federal Communications Commission after two complaints surfaced that their
frequency at 88.9 FM had interfered with a Massachusetts-based public radio
station. 

Organizers of the 10-watt station announced earlier this week that they would
return to the airwaves Friday with a petition signed by 2,000 residents as their
authority to broadcast in this community. 

''Yeah, Brattleboro, you have your airwaves back,'' announced station co-founder
David Long, the first on-air words spoken after the station's six-week absence. 

The FCC has been mum on what repercussions, if any, could come from the station's
move. FCC Chairman Michael Powell announced this week that the commission wants to
speed up the approval process for low-power community-based FM stations. 

Soon after Radio Free Brattleboro switched back on at 5 p.m. Friday, more than 20
of the station's more than 50 disk jockeys began filtering in and out of the
station's downtown studio, many of them eager to get their voices back on the air. 

''I think we are all happy to be back on the air, sharing the music we like,''
said one DJ who asked to be identified by his on-air name, ''DJ Big Brother.'' 

He said being able to play music that isn't commonly heard on commercial radio is
one of the appealing things about the station. 

Aside from being a community outlet for news, music, and commentary, Radio Free
Brattleboro also trains residents in the broadcast field, said Jennifer Claster,
who hosts ''Discophelia.'' 

''I always wanted to be a DJ,'' she said. ''And I like that we have an uncensored
forum here. It's here that the community can say whatever is on their mind.'' 

Organizers hope the FCC won't notice their return, or has decided there are more
pressing concerns than shutting down a small volunteer radio station. 

''I'm not sure if they are going to care,'' Roney Boyden said of the FCC. ''But
there is so much support for us in Brattleboro.''

http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/236/metro/Defying_the_FCC_unlicensed_radio_station_back_on_air+.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/