Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextels poor treatment of current customers...

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:24:58 -0000

"tnc010100" <tausha@a...> wrote:
Does anyone know why Nextel treats it current customers with such 
little respect.  I went to a Nextel store to purchase the i95cl and 
was told that they are only available to new customers and that the 
only way I could purchase one was to cancel my current account, which 
is already past the initial period, and activate a new account. I 
think this is crazy.  They tried to give me some stupid explanation 
that they only made a limited number oh these phones and want to 
offer them to new customers.  What about the customers who have 
alrady given nearly $2000 over the last 18 months? Guess they don't 
care as much about us since we are already paying them.  So this 
leaves the option of e-bay.  I currently have the i1000plus.  Can I 
buy a i95cl on e-bay and transfer the sim card from my phone?  Nay 
guidance would be most appreciated

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Bulldog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:34:43 -0000

Many iDENs on eBay do NOT come with a SIM Card.
You will be needing a Nextel SIM Card.

Also, you can unlock any iDEN phone be it b00st, telus, so. linc, etc.

www.enyo.net