Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A Trademark case with real consequences!!!

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:29:35 -0000

We can screw around with wireless trademarks, but when we start to 
mess with FOOTBALL, all hell will break loose!!!
--------------------------
Redskins' last stand?
Team's trademark protections at risk as 11-year court battle over 
its name comes to a head.
August 22, 2003: 4:36 PM EDT 

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Coming soon to the NFL -- the Washington 
Bureaucrats?

Or maybe the Washington Lobbyists?

Or the Wild Hogs, in honor of the city's true favorite sport -- 
grabbing for pork barrel dollars. 

...
 That's because there's a decent chance that the Redskins' name 
could soon go the way of leather football helmets and 200-pound 
linemen.

A case now in U.S. District Court in Washington could strip the team 
of its trademark protections. The federal Trademark Trial and Appeal 
Board has already ruled against the team's trademark protections, 
finding that the name "may disparage Native Americans and may bring 
them into contempt or disrepute."

It's that 1999 decision that the team is now fighting to overturn. 
Both sides are asking Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly for a quick pre-
trial decision, perhaps within weeks. 
...
see: 
http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/22/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz
/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/