Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC poised to make 800 MHz decision by year-end

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:39:09 -0400

FCC poised to make 800 MHz decision by year-end

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
Aug. 21, 2003

COLUMBIA, Md.

The engineers at the Federal Communications Commission have completed their
examination of various proposals to solve the interference problem experienced by
public-safety agencies in the 800 MHz band. And the FCC is still poised to make a
decision by the end of the year, said Edmond Thomas, chief of the FCC’s Office of
Engineering and Technology. 

Thomas would not rule out the consensus plan supported by Nextel Communications
Inc., private wireless entities and some in public safety. But he continued to
lean toward various technical solutions to the problem. He said the engineers have
evaluated the various solutions presented and understand the pros and cons of
each. 

While the basic examinations have been completed, Thomas expects continued
evaluations as policy choices are made regarding the best way to solve the
interference problem. 

He made his statements at a press conference held Thursday morning at the FCC’s
Engineering Lab. As part of the press conference, reporters were given a rare tour
of the lab, which was recently modernized after Michael Powell became chairman of
the FCC. Part of the tour involved showing how $300,000 worth of equipment can
make simulations of the various interference scenarios using 11 different
public-safety radios. 

Nextel supports a plan that would split the 800 MHz band into two parts—one for
cellularized systems and one for non-cellularized systems. The most controversial
aspect of the plan is that Nextel would receive 10 megahertz of spectrum in the
1.9 GHz band (1910-1915-1995 MHz). 

The alternative proposal supported by The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association and individual wireless carriers relies on best practices to solve
interference problems where they occur. 

Motorola Inc. also has devised a technical solution.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14790

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/