Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Subscribers to Reach 2 Billion by 2007

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:40:45 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/August2003/5709.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Wireless
Subscribers to Reach 2 Billion by 2007

7th
August 2003

The
next five years will see a dramatic slowing of worldwide cellular subscriber
growth, reports In-Stat/MDR. However, despite the fact that there has
been a lot of fuss about the "catastrophic slowdown" in subscriber
growth, there will be more than 931 million new subscribers over the
next five years. By 2007, the total worldwide wireless population will
exceed 2 billion subscribers.

A
recent report released by the high-tech market research firm finds that
while China, in the Eastern Asia region, continues to lead the world
in overall subscriber growth, the new percentage growth leaders are
found in Southern Asia and Southeast Asia. "It is rather remarkable
that the fastest numerically growing country, China, is trailing Africa,
Eastern Europe, and the Middle East in Compound Annual Growth Rate,"
said Ken Hyers, a senior analyst with In-Stat/MDR. "However, the
fact that Western Europe and Scandinavia bring up the rear, as they
did in previous 2002 to 2006 forecasts, should be no surprise."

In-Stat/MDR
has also found that:

-- Western Europe's growth virtually stops during In-Stat/MDR's 2002-2007
forecast period, with a CAGR of 1.2%. This can be expected, as the penetration
rate in 2007 will be 83.6%.

-- CDMA will continue to be the single most dominant airlink in the
United States throughout the forecast period. TDMA will be phased out,
in favor of GSM, and by the end of the forecast period, TDMA networks
will no longer be operational in the United States.

-- Analog will be completely phased out of Western Europe by 2004, and
does not expect CDMA to make any inroads in Western Europe. By the end
of the forecast period, Western European subscriber growth will have
reached near saturation levels, resulting in anemic subscriber growth.
UMTS subscriber growth will come at the expense of GSM.

-- In Europe, overall, GSM's overall market share will decline, from
99.1% in 2002 to 91.4% in 2007. In-Stat/MDR continues to believe that
UMTS will not achieve significant market share during this forecast
period.

-- Despite NTT DoCoMo's strong support for FOMA in Japan, the service
has been plagued with teething problems during rollout, and faces stiff
competition for KDDI's AU. NTT DoCoMo will not be able to leverage its
dominant Share-Of-Market (SOM) vis-a-vis FOMA to surpass AU before 2006.

-- Throughout In-Stat/MDR's forecast period, the annual subscriber growth
will average over 186 million.

The report, "Event
Horizon: Two Billion Mobile Subscribers by 2007. 2003 Subscriber Forecast"
(#IN0301117GW), contains worldwide subscriber forecasts from 2002 (actuals)
through 2007. The data is presented in multiple formats, including country-by-country
and region-by-region subscriber forecasts, and region-by-region airlink
forecasts. Major regions include Southern Asia, Southeast Asia, Southwest
Asia, Central Asia, Eastern Asia, Oceania, North America, Caribbean,
Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Middle East,
Far East and Africa. Airlink data includes Analog, CDMA, TDMA, GSM,
iDEN (United States only) and UMTS/WCDMA. Airlink data is presented
by region, and in some cases, by country.

Free
3G Phones

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Sampling
of the MSM6250 for WCDMA

The
MSM6250 chipset represents QUALCOMM's third WCDMA (UMTS) chipset, a single-chip
solution that includes all the advanced multimedia capabilities

Integrated
Wi-Fi / 3G Services

he
new Wi-Fi service, to be called FreedomLink(SM), will be available by the
end of 2006 in more than 6,000 hotels, airports, convention centers and
other venues throughout the SBC 13-state region.

Wireless
Subscribers to Reach 2 Billion by 2007

There
will be more than 931 million new subscribers over the next five years.
By 2007, the total worldwide wireless population will exceed 2 billion subscribers.

Hutchison
43,650 Subscribers For 3G

Hutchison
Chief Executive Kevin Russell said he was pleased to report ongoing growth
in Orange and a strong take-up of recently launched 3 services for video
calling, information and entertainment services.

WCDMA
3G Network For Sunrise

Nokia
has signed an agreement to supply sunrise's WCDMA 3G core network in Switzerland.
Deliveries have already commenced with Nokia providing the 3G core network

New
i-mode Slim Phone

NTT
DoCoMo announced that they will begin marketing the P505i on August 8, 2003.
At a trim 19.9 mm when folded, the new model is the slimmest in the 505i
series of enhanced i-mode 2G handsets.

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.