Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hello Timmy....."Can You Hear Me Now? FCC officials trapped in gondola use cell phones for help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:24:14 -0400

Hello Timmy....."Can You Hear Me Now?

FCC officials trapped in gondola use cell phones for help
August 21 12:54:00, 2003

ASPEN, Colo.—Two Federal Communications Commission officials put wireless
communications technology to use when
stormy weather trapped them in a gondola in Aspen during the Progress & Freedom
Foundation’s Aspen Summit
telecommunications conference this week, according to the Associated Press.

Unbeknownst to gondola operators, John Muleta, chief of the FCC’s Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau, and Robert
Pepper, adviser to FCC Chairman Michael Powell, were on their way down the
mountain when the gondola was shut
down due to inclement weather. The men used their cell phones to call 911, and
Muleta was able to direct authorities to
their location on the mountain. Ironically, enhanced 911 features were apparently
not in place.

“We were very glad that we had our cell pones with us. We were very glad there was
service there,” Muleta told the AP.
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14784

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/