Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. Developing Device to Take Out Enemy Mobile Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 01:38:09 -0400

U.S. Developing Device to Take Out Enemy Mobile Communications

The U.S. Department of Defense announced the development of a weapon that
will cripple mobile phone communications. The device, codenamed "WolfPack"
takes out enemy mobile communications without hindering U.S. mobile
communications

===========================================================
US forces to target enemy mobiles with P2P
WLANs
By Tony Smith

Posted: 15/08/2003 at 11:22 GMT

The US military is developing a weapon based on peer-to-peer technology to take
out mobile phone communications, the US Department of Defence has revealed.
The system also has the capability to covertly monitor cellular traffic.
Codenamed 'WolfPack', the device is intended to prevent an enemy from using its
communications technologies, including cellular, without hindering US forces' own
communications systems.

WolfPack is a 6 x 4in cylinder weighing 6lbs, capable of being dropped by
parachute or fired into the target area as a missile payload. Each device zaps
mobile phone communications within a radius of half a kilometre.

"The idea is to litter the battlefield with these small objects," WolfPack
programme manager Preston Marshall in a statement.

The battery-powered device contains an inflatable antenna. Fins mounted inside the
cylinder extend from the device on touchdown to lift it into a vertical position.
Once in place and with the aerial up, each WolfPack until begins communicating
with any others it can detect.

Together, they quickly establish a network. Other networks in range can tie in
too, creating, if you will, an 'Internet' of WolfPack nodes, which ultimately
allows data from any single device to be routed across the network of networks to
the command centre.
Each cylinder can generate radio signal to disrupt cellular traffic, said
Marshall. "Each WolfPack is very small, but collectively they gang up on the
signal," he added.
Equally, the units can used to monitor enemy communications signals. Think of it
as a Napster for military intelligence - each device can share the signals it
picks up with all the others.

Units can stay powered for up to two months in the field, and can be later
collected and re-used. Each node costs around $10,000.  Together, they are
cheaper, less obtrusive and a much less obvious target for enemy intervention than
the aircraft-based systems used to jam or monitor communications at the moment.

WolfPack prototypes will be put to the test with in the next 18 months, the DoD
said.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/32361.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:30:11 -0400

Sounds like they plan to deploy a Nextel cell site into the enemy's
neighborhood.

Henrik "Rik" Rasmussen
Radios4sale mailing list manager
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radios4sale/

The Two Way Radio Directory has links to
hundreds of industry related web pages.
The Directory Bookstore has a great selection
of radio books at good discounts.
Visit now at http://twowayradiodirectory.com/

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 1:38 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. Developing Device to Take Out Enemy Mobile
> Communications
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:49:50 -0400

Add some BPL  and POW!

I deem the new technology "CHS" - Can't Hear S***

Can I get a trademark please-

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG