Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NE Phone Networks Operating Normally (NOT)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:00:49 -0400

Like I said:

[email-masked] wrote:

> Verizon Networks Operate Well Despite Blackout  ..........I'm sure nextel will
> say the same thing-
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030814/lath143_1.html

1800 Hrs Nextel Reports Everything is OK>>>>

"Long-distance telephone companies AT&T Corp. T.N , MCI and Cable & Wireless Plc
CW.L , as well as wireless telephone company Nextel Communications Inc. NXTL.O
said their networks operated smoothly."

=====================================================================================

NE Phone Networks Operating Normally
Thu August 14, 2003 06:19 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Most local and wireless telephone networks throughout the
northeastern United States operated normally on Thursday afternoon despite a
massive power outage that swept from New York City to Toronto, telephone companies
said. Verizon Communications Inc. VZ.N , the dominant telephone company from Maine
to Virginia, said its telephone networks ran smoothly, but some calls were blocked
due to volume as people tried to call friends and family.
Cingular Wireless, the No. 2 U.S. wireless company, said some of its network sites
that send and receive wireless signals experienced isolated cell-site outages in
parts of New York, Ohio and Michigan.

Long-distance telephone companies AT&T Corp. T.N , MCI and Cable & Wireless Plc
CW.L , as well as wireless telephone company Nextel Communications Inc. NXTL.O
said their networks operated smoothly.
"The land line phones are working fine. There's congestion on the network as
people try calling each other," Verizon spokesman John Bonomo said.

"Each of the central offices have separate power sources and are operating
normally," he said.
The power outage left cities including New York, Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto
without electricity, disrupting service at airports, train stations, homes and
businesses.

The outage was caused by a failure at a Manhattan power plant that destabilized
the power grid as far as Canada, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
spokesman Bryan Lee said.

Verizon, the largest U.S. telephone company and the partial owner of No. 1
wireless company Verizon Wireless, said its local and wireless networks normally
run on batteries that are recharged by commercial power supplies. When commercial
power fails, generators kick in to refuel the batteries.  The generators can be
constantly refueled and support phone networks without interruption, Verizon said.

After the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington, D.C., Verizon
operated telephone networks in downtown Manhattan with generators for more than
six months, Verizon spokesman Eric Rabe said.

The Federal Communications Commission requires a report within 30 minutes if more
than 50,000 people are affected by a an outage by a local telephone company.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3281389

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/