Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Blackout Affects Critical Wireless Data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:07:57 -0400

Special Report:
Blackout Affects Critical Wireless Data

Systems for Police and Other First Responders

Last week, the major blackout that spread across the northeastern U.S. and Canada
wreaked havoc among public safety departments, governmental agencies, and other
first responders relying on public networks for data communications. According to
an August 15 statement by the United Telecom Council (UTC), “all commercial
wireless systems in affected areas were down within a short time after the
blackout, due to congestion and the lack of backup power to transmitting sites.”

Public Network Failure Leaves First Responders

Unable to Receive and Send Vital Data

In many cases, the congestion that affected the public networks left public safety
organizations that rely on them in the dark. “Our mobile data system became
unusable when the power went out,” says Captain Davies of the Jamestown, NY police
department. “We didn’t have access to the state data records system, and we had to
compensate by communicating more information over our voice system. We couldn’t do
a lot of the things we’re used to doing.”

For police, fire, and other first responder groups, data is an integral part of
daily operations. When a police officer responds to a call, a wireless data system
is used to gain background on that call, whether pulling up the police record of a
suspect, or checking a vehicle’s tag number against a state database. In many
cases, that same system is used to coordinate dispatch among multiple forces in
the field. “Without that system,” says Davies, “service is impacted. Anytime the
officers don’t have the ability to receive and send information on dangerous
persons, or data on vehicle info, our officers are at greater risk.”
In addition to police departments, various other governmental agencies, public
safety organizations and companies with field forces that utilize public networks
suffered from a lack of mobile data communications. Bill Moroney, President/CEO of
UTC said: “Our utilities in the affected areas predominantly use their own private
systems, but they encountered numerous frustrated public network users attempting
to respond to the emergency without proper connectivity. The reports we have
received were that initially the public networks were congested, making it
difficult or impossible to transmit mission critical data. Then, as the voice
demand subsided, the backup generation failed, partly as a result of the increased
demand without replenishable power sources.”

Private Data Networks “Worked Beautifully”

Throughout the Blackout

While a large number of first responders that relied on public networks lost
access to wireless data, a number of wireless data users kept their data up and
running. These organizations relied on private wireless networks. According Kevin
Youngblood of the York, Ontario Police, “Our investment in a private network and
redundant power systems paid off. The outage didn’t affect our system. There
wasn’t even a glitch.” For Youngblood, it was precisely this type of situation
that prompted his department to choose a private network solution. “When the
department looked into a public network for data communication,” says Youngblood,
“we asked to be guaranteed priority in an emergency. The public network providers
couldn’t deliver. That’s a big reason why we went with a private system.”

During the blackout, utilities had to focus on getting the power restored as
quickly as possible. To accomplish this, they had to coordinate deployment of
field forces across hundreds of square miles. Effective mobile data communication
was critical for locating and coordinating response vehicles, for submitting
reports on areas in need of assistance, and for keeping the voice systems from
becoming congested. “Restoring power in this type of scenario requires a great
deal of coordination. The switches have to be thrown on at precisely the same
moment to avoid latency problems,” says Bill Moroney of UTC. “Most utilities
anticipate this type of scenario and as a result, make sure their mission-critical
data is transmitted over a dedicated, private system. We’re being told by
utilities directly involved in the blackout that all private wireless
communications systems worked beautifully.”

Another private network delivered similar results for the Halton, Ontario Regional
Police Service. John Mackie, Halton’s acting manager in charge of technology and
system support, noted, “Our private system suffered no impact whatsoever. Our
voice and data systems work hand-in-hand with data playing an important part of
our 911 dispatch system. If the data stopped working, service would have been much
slower, resulting in a dramatic impact.” Like the York police, Halton adopted a
private network because of emergency concerns. “This discussion (about reliable
wireless data communications) started in part from the ice storm we experienced a
few years ago, as well as Y2K,” says Mackie. “We needed a way to stay connected in
an emergency situation. We wanted to control our own destiny. That’s why we
decided on a private wireless network.”
Crisis Underscores Case for Reliable Private Wireless Solutions

Last week’s outage is not the first time an emergency has impacted wireless
communications. According a report by industry expert Mike Moher of Space-Time DSP
Inc., “After the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma
City, the public was asked to stop using cellular phones because local response
teams were having difficulty communicating in cellular frequencies. As the voice
network became fully loaded … the throughput of the data network became nil.”
There are a multitude of other instances where network overload has resulted in
service downtime or slow transmission of data over public networks. From the 9/11
attacks in New York and Washington, to Hurricanes Hugo and Andrew, the history of
public wireless communications networks includes many instances of interrupted
service during critical emergency situations.
The varied experiences of private and public network users during this blackout
highlight the wisdom of controlling communications systems – voice and data – to
be able to respond appropriately in emergency situations. Certainly, some on
public systems, such as the Dutchess (NY) police department, maintained
connectivity across a public network. According to Dutchess’s Lieutenant Basher,
it was the redundant power system that kept his department up and running, and the
public network never failed. For other departments, like that of Jamestown, NY,
redundant power was no help as public wireless networks were simply too congested.

The blackout provided a valuable lesson in planning wireless communications. While
the physical effects of the blackout have been addressed and most systems are back
in operation, the example it sets points to the significant role private wireless
systems play with wireless data – a role that accentuates the need for
uninterrupted mission-critical communications during the very emergency situations
when they’re needed most.

For more information on Exclusive Private WirelessSM mobile data solutions for
utilities, public safety, and critical infrastructure providers, contact Andrew
Rein at 301-941-1109, or via email at [email-masked].

http://www.accessspectrum.com/4_11_16.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/