Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: GSM security disabled in Russia

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:52:03 -0400

Marcel
Not sure whether article below has been posted at Nextel 1before?
Greg UK

http://cellular-news.com/story/9262.shtml :
================================================================ 

GSM security disabled in Russia 

The Azerbaijani newspaper, Baku Today has reported that the encryption used
in GSM handsets was deliberately disabled on Moscow's networks for 24
hours, at the request of the Communications Ministry. The Russian Interior
Ministry needed to monitor cell phone communications for its investigation
into the deadly suicide bombing at a rock concert in Moscow last week.
Under the order, officials say the encoding system was disabled for 24
hours, beginning at 9 P.M. Moscow time on July 8th.

The paper cited Interior Minister Boris Gryzlov as saying that
investigators have new information that will lead them to the organizer of
the suicide bombings that killed 14 people at the concert at Tushino
airfield. 

================================================================ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/