Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police radios-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:11:18 -0400

Police radios
August 12, 2003
The Capital, Annapolis, Md.

WILLIAM SMALL

Regarding police radios and the investment the county is considering
making, despite the budgetary duress the taxpayers are suffering:

Problems continue with the 800-megahertz frequency band surrounding
the Federal Communication Commission's decision to license portable
phone providers on parts of this band, and Nextel Communication's
unresolved adjacent-channel interference, which the FCC has allowed
for three years running.

Many problems plaguing public safety communications stem from
Nextel's radio towers. The FCC seems unwilling to come down on
Nextel for its unwillingness to address limits on interference.
Furthermore, the FCC has trumped localities' attempts to enforce safety
within their boundaries by enacting laws to ban these phones. In other
words, the FCC is putting Nextel and its customers above the public's
safety.

Before we spend millions on a system that may not solve
communications problems (due to the FCC allowing encroachment into
public-safety bands by private companies) we should find some way to
address the encroachment. Nextel has no respect for law enforcement,
public safety, or providing the services it claims to offer to its customers.

Its phones also interfere with more than public safety. Mine interferes
with my monitor, keyboard, mouse and car stereo, among other things.

I'm holding on to my Nextel phone until November, when new laws will
enable me to keep my phone number as I change to another carrier.

http://www.capitalonline.com/cgi-bin/read/2003/08_12-13/OPN

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/