Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications Antes Up In 2004 Presidential Race

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:29:27 -0400

Communications Antes Up In 2004 Presidential Race

Aug 06, 2003

It is TPR's practice to examine one congressional member each week, using
political donations made to that member by telecom-related entities as a way to
graphically illustrate his or her importance to the industry.

However, this week we decided to break from tradition and take a look at the
current crop of presidential hopefuls. As might be expected, most of them are
viewed as important figures by the communications industry.

President Bush currently leads the field in terms of political contributions. The
most significant group of donors to his re-election effort are law firms, most of
them with ties to the telecom industry. Law firms accounted for more than $2
million to the Bush campaign between May 1, when the President formally
launched his re-election bid, and June 30. Computer- and Internet-related
businesses donated $310,000 to the President, and the entertainment industry
gave him $263,000.

John Edwards, the former trial lawyer, also did quite well with the legal
profession.
Lawyers and law firms donated $6.2 million to his campaign. The entertainment
industry has given him $128,000.

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) has thus far raised the most money from the
entertainment industry - more than $310,000. Similar to Edwards, the largest
portion of Kerry's donations come from the legal profession. AOL Time Warner has
given Kerry $23,000. Viacom nearly matched that amount, giving Kerry $22,750,
AT&T has given him more than $19,000.

Howard Dean also appears to be a favorite of the entertainment industry, which
has thus far donated nearly $300,000 to his campaign. The rest of Dean's
campaign contributions appear to have little, if any, connection to the
communications industry.

Former House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt (D-Mo.) is getting the bulk of his
political contributions from law firms and lobbyists, which thus far have given
him
more than $1.3 million of the nearly $10 million he has raised. AOL Time Warner
is among Gephardt's top 20 corporate benefactors, giving his campaign $9,500
thus far.

Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) has raised much of his campaign funds from lawyer
and law firm donations. Of the more than $8 million in his campaign war chest,
about $1 million comes from lawyers and law firms - most of them representing
communications industry-related clients.

Lyndon Larouche, the perennial presidential wannabe, is largely being ignored by
American corporations. In fact, 97 percent of the $4.75 million he's raised came
from individual donors.

Sen. Bob Graham (D-Fla.) is getting much of his financial support from lawyers
and law firms - some $557,000 thus far. But the entertainment industry is also
tossing some money at Graham, giving him a little more than $24,000. Computer
and Internet-related interests have thus far given Graham $20,220.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) isn't doing that well with American businesses.
And why would he? During the late 1970s, as mayor of Cleveland, his propensity
for taking on business interests earned him the nickname "Dennis the Menace."
Even so, the entertainment industry appears to like him, donating more than
$25,000 to his campaign. Computer- and Internet-related businesses have given
him almost $16,000.

Carol Moseley Braun, the former Democratic senator from Illinois, is getting help
from the legal community. Lawyers and law firms have given her campaign nearly
$15,000 so far. The entertainment industry has given her $4,500, and lobbyists
have pitched in another $2,750.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, never one to shy away from controversy, is getting a little
help from the entertainment industry, which has given him $8,575. Law firms have
donated $3,135 to Sharpton. Computer- and Internet-related businesses have given
him $2,100.

What The Candidates Have Raised So Far

George W. Bush (R) $35,109,600
John Kerry (D) $16,028,266
John Edward (D) $11,936,277
Howard Dean (D) $10,545,457
Dick Gephardt (D) $9,750,802
Joe Lieberman (D) $8,151,575
Lyndon Larouche (D) $4,755,882
Bob Graham (D) $3,136,326
Dennis Kucinich (D) $1,718,354
Carol Moseley Braun (D) $217,109
Al Sharpton (D) $184,415

Source: FEC and The Center for Responsive Politics Note: All figures are based
on data released by the FEC June 30, 2003

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/