Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Women in Law Enforcement, Motorola Team to Name First Award Winner

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:07:51 PDT

Friday August 1, 11:00 am ET

Chief of University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department Receives Recognition from National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives

TEMPE, Ariz., Aug. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The National Association of
Women Law Enforcement Executives (NAWLEE) and Motorola (NYSE: MOT - News) announced
the recipient of their first "Woman Law Enforcement Executive of the Year"
Award. Susan Riseling, Chief of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Police
Department, is receiving the award today at the NAWLEE Annual Conference in
Tempe, Ariz

by NAWLEE and Motorola, the Woman Law Enforcement
Executive of the Year Award was established this year to recognize an
executive who has exhibited sustained extraordinary accomplishment,
demonstrating leadership, creativity and support of NAWLEE goals. These
include promoting the ideals and principles of women executives in law
enforcement; conducting training seminars to train and educate women
executives in law enforcement; and providing a forum for the exchange of
information about law enforcement.
"This award recognizes an individual who has distinguished herself in our
organization, her profession and her community," said Vicky Peltzer, President
of NAWLEE and Chief, University of Washington Police Department. "Chief
Riseling epitomizes our values and represents the best of who we are as women
and leaders."
Jackie Wasni, Motorola territory manager for its Commercial, Government
and Industrial Solutions Sector and representative of the company's Women's
Business Council Committee, joined Chief Peltzer in making the formal
presentation. Motorola's Women's Business Council Committee co-sponsored the
conference and worked with NAWLEE to establish the new honor.
"Motorola is proud to play a part in establishing this significant
leadership award for law enforcement executives," said Wasni. "As our first
award winner, Chief Riseling has set the bar high with her outstanding
accomplishments."
Since 1991, Chief Riseling has woven problem-solving policing and
community-oriented policing to form an effective approach in dealing with
University safety and crime issues. During her tenure, the organization has
gone through three strategic planning processes to improve services and
maintain relevancy to the community, which includes a student enrollment of
more than 41,000 in the state capital.
She has succeeded in building an organization that places a high regard on
the dignity and respect of those they serve. As a result, department
personnel are consistently rated by more than 90 percent of the people they
serve as very good or excellent (as reported in customer surveys sent to every
10th case number). Under her leadership, she secured funding from the
Chancellor to upgrade the department's computer system, training programs and
equipment. Chief Riseling is highly regarded by her peers at the University.
In fact, when the University mandated a budget cut across all departments, the
Police Department was considered so critical that instead of reducing its
budget, deans supported increased funding.
Chief Riseling is involved in a host of law enforcement activities on the
state and national level. Often called for her counsel on issues ranging from
legislation to terrorism, she has earned the respect of the Wisconsin
Legislature and Wisconsin's U.S. representatives.
An expert in date and acquaintance rape, she was featured on national
television during the Kennedy-Smith rape trial. Throughout the 1990s, she
developed and taught threat assessment and prevention strategies for workplace
violence.
Her staff is diverse, well trained, highly motivated and productive, and
many of her officers have been recognized on both the state and local level.
She addressed potential racial profiling issues at her department with a
series of programs that included training and building relationships between
her staff and the community.
For the past six years, Chief Riseling has led the University and College
Section of the world's largest police organization, the International
Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). The section is part of the Executive
Committee and is consulted on matters including terrorism, disaster
preparedness and training.
A founding member and past president of NAWLEE, she currently serves as
Chair of the Legislative committee and as a Mentor for women in mid-level
management positions and those new to senior management roles. In August,
Chief Riseling will be named President of the Wisconsin Chiefs of Police
Association.
"If Sue Riseling were to leave tomorrow, the public safety profession
would suffer a serious loss," wrote Dr. Gary Margolis, chief of Police
University of Vermont, on her nomination form. "She has left, and continues
to leave, a mark on the agency she leads, the associations she enjoys
relationships with, and the people that come into contact with her. As a
leader, as a woman, and as a police officer, Sue Riseling is a role model for
everyone whose life she touches."
The 2003 nominees included: Joyce Dawley, regional director, Orlando
Regional Operations Center, Florida Department of Law Enforcement; Teresa
Kettelkamp, deputy director, Illinois State Police; Marjorie Kolpa, Lt.
Colonel, Connecticut State Police (retired); Genny May, Captain, Commander of
General Gaming Section, Louisiana State Police; Jacqueline Seabrooks, Captain,
Santa Monica, California Police Department; and Mary Ann Viverette, chief of
Police, Gaithersburg, Maryland Police Department.
All nominated executives were evaluated against the following criteria:

Leading change to produce results that are important to the service
community
Building and maintaining a law enforcement/police workforce that is
diverse, well trained, highly motivated and productive
Achieving important program or organizational results
Managing the organization's human, financial, material and information
resources with acumen
Building coalitions by exhibiting an unusual level of cooperation and
effort, whether within the organization, community or other agencies

Candidates were nominated by others, who submitted a written abstract
describing how the candidate worked to promote quality in law enforcement.
The Selection Committee is comprised of members from the NAWLEE Board of
Directors.
"There were so many worthy nominees that the Selection Committee had a
difficult decision to make," said Peltzer. "All the women selected were top
performers who made exceptional contributions to the field of law
enforcement."
A crystal sculpture of a lioness will be presented to Chief Riseling today
at the ceremony. The lioness was chosen as the award's emblem to represent
"the grace, courage, determination and leadership of a female charged with
protection of her Pride," said Peltzer.
About NAWLEE
The National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives (NAWLEE) is
the first organization established to address the unique needs of women
holding senior management positions in law enforcement.
NAWLEE is a non-profit organization sponsored and administered directly by
law enforcement practitioners. Its mission is to serve and further the
interests of women executives and those who aspire to be executives in law
enforcement. For more information, please visit www.nawlee.com .
About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT - News) is a global leader in wireless, automotive and
broadband communications. Sales in 2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a
global corporate citizen dedicated to ethical business practices and
pioneering important innovations that make things smarter and life better,
honored traditions that began when the company was founded 75 years ago this
year. For more information, please visit www.motorola.com .
Motorola Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS)
Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS)
is a leading provider of integrated radio communications and information
solutions, with more than 65 years of experience in meeting the mission-
critical requirements of public safety, government and enterprise customers
worldwide. The sector offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet
growing public safety and security needs, including: interoperable two-way
radio communications solutions; command and control solutions; identification
and tracking solutions; information management for criminal justice and civil
needs; and physical security and monitoring solutions. In 2002, CGISS received
the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for manufacturing, the national
premier award for performance excellence and quality achievement.
Motorola and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the U.S. Patent &
Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of
their respective owners.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.