Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel "Diverts" Generators From New York To Detroit To Get Cellsites Up.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:27:29 -0400

Nextel "Diverts" Generators From New York To Detroit To Get Cellsites Up.

Divert? Who are they kidding? That is not a diversion that's a Mass Re-routing
Effort!

Timmy What happened?

What no presser? ............    "Nextel's Network Works Through
Black-Out".....(NOT)

Ok, Timmy Nextel fell flat on its face with this one! This proves Nextel is just
like any other CMRS.
Nextel is vulnerable.

Myself and 100 others here have been saying this for years!

So now what? Your Homeland Security buddies are asking tough questions and you
answer is "We had batteries"??? Time to call off the"Nextel-One Trick Pony Show"
and re-group.

How many Generator sets can you buy with your 43% raise?
==================================================================================

Power outage hits wireless networks
By Emily Motsay
August 15 13:47:00, 2003

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14727
Heavy call volumes on wireless networks frustrated end users and led cell sites,
operating on backup generators and batteries, to quickly falter during the massive
power outage that crippled the northeastern United States this week.

Given the situation, even the best system would have been unable to perform
optimally, said Michael Grossi, a principle analyst with Adventis Group, who
compared the massive blackout to a natural disaster.

Despite the fact that generators initially kept wireless facilities—including cell
sites, base stations and call centers—working, heavy call volumes led the networks
to reach capacity, which caused service to be blocked and calls to be dropped in
the areas affected by the blackout.

And according to Grossi, over-capacity quickly drained the backup power being
provided to cell sites. Wireless carriers are probably still struggling to
determine which sites are down and which are running low on backup power, Grossi
said, and visits to sites will likely be required to address the problem.

Verizon Wireless said its network remained fully operational, but conceded call
volumes up to four times the normal amount blocked some call attempts. Friday, the
company said: “Persistent callers were usually able to complete their calls.” The
company also said there may have been isolated service outages due to backup power
limitations at cell sites.
Sprint PCS and Nextel Communications Inc. said multiple sites were affected by the
outage, and Nextel said it was diverting power generators from New York, where
power was returning on Friday, to Detroit to combat the continuing outage there.
Canadian carrier Telus Mobility said its network was operational, but service
levels in Ontario were reduced and service would be inconsistent. “People should
be patient and use their phone’s signal strength indicators as a guide to whether
or not service is available in their area,” said Wade Oosterman, executive vice
president of sales and marketing at Telus.  “Calls in progress may also experience
interruption as, for example, people move from an area where power has been
restored to one where power is still out.”

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/