Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ORDER EXTENDING TIME FOR FILING OF COMMENTS- Re:The 4.9 GHz Band Transferred from Federal Government Use

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:45:16 -0400

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of

The 4.9 GHz Band Transferred from Federal Government Use )

WT Docket No. 00-32

ORDER EXTENDING TIME FOR FILING OF COMMENTS

   Adopted:  August 27, 2003 Released:  August 28, 2003

By the Chief, Public Safety and Private Wireless Division, Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau:

1. On August 25, 2003, Motorola, Inc. (Motorola) filed a request for extension of
time (Request) in the captioned proceeding, asking that the current date set for
filing of oppositions to the petition for reconsideration filed by the National
Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC) be extended by thirty days, from
September 2, 2003 to October 2, 2003.  Public notice of the NPSTC reconsideration
petition, which was filed in response to the Commission’s Memorandum Opinion and
Order and Third Report and Order in the above-captioned proceeding,  was published
in the Federal Register on August 18, 2003.

2. It is the policy of the Commission that extensions of time are not routinely
granted.   Here, we note that many of the technical standards that are the subject
of the NPSTC petition were based on proposals suggested by Motorola.   Motorola
states in the Request that representatives of it and NPSTC have begun technical
discussions aimed at reaching a broader consensus that could facilitate an
expeditions resolution of this proceeding and promote rapid deployment of public
safety services in the 4.9 GHz band.   Motorola indicates that the key technical
representatives from NPSTC are scheduled to attend technical briefings at
Motorola’s headquarters on September 11, 2003.  The results of that meeting and
subsequent discussions could be reflected in filings if the Commission grants the
requested extension.   We believe that significant public interest benefits could
be realized by allowing the public safety community and interested equipment
vendors to continue ongoing discussions regarding deployment and development of
4.9 GHz band technologies in an effort to perhaps reach a consensus position.
Under these circumstances, we believe that grant of the extension of time that
Motorola seeks is warranted and affords interested parties the opportunity to
develop a more comprehensive and complete record regarding the issues presented in
NPSTC’s reconsideration petition. Therefore, we grant Motorola’s request, and
extend the date for submitting oppositions to October 2, 2003, and the date for
submitting replies to oppositions to October 14, 2003.

3. ACCORDINGLY, IT IS ORDERED that Motorola’s Request for Extension of Time IS
GRANTED to the extent expressed herein, and that the time for filing oppositions
IS EXTENDED until October 2, 2003, and the time for filing replies to oppositions
IS EXTENDED until October 14, 2003.  This action is taken under delegated
authority pursuant to Sections 0.131 and 0.331 of the Commission’s Rules, 47
C.F.R. §§ 0.131, 0.331.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

D’wana R. Terry
Chief, Public Safety and Private Wireless Division
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2750A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/