Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IRLP-Up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:56:52 -0400

Listen to IRLP Live and Commercial Free
                            http://live.irlp.net:8000/listen.pls

Waiting for reports from NY-

he aim of the Internet Radio Linking Project (IRLP) is to provide a simple and
easy system to link radio
 systems together using the Internet as the communications backbone.

 Similar linking options exist, but they use expensive leased telephone lines or
satellite equipment. It is not the
 goal of this project to compete, but to work along with other networks to improve
the technology and
 improve radio linking for all involved parties. The people who benefit most from
the IRLP are its users.

 The software and hardware requirements are minimal, and the cost to set up a node
is low. This brings the
 opportunity for smaller more remote locations, or small clubs, to experience
national linking without the large
 capital cost of a satellite node or leased line.

 We would also like to add that this project does not only cover the scope of
amateur radio, but also
 includes several commercial applications as well. A couple of commercial uses
include:

      Replacing leased lines used by national carrier companies.

      IRLP designed and implemented a central homed system for dispatch of
multiple vehicles
      across the province of British Columbia using internet links, mountain-top
repeaters, and
      remote base radios. The IRLP system was interfaced directly into an existing
console, and the
      dispatchers did not notice a difference in functionality.

      Town of Canmore Alberta replaced 911 dispatch circuits for Fire, police and
Ambulance between
      Calgary and Canmore using several IRLP nodes featuring embedded processors.
These single board
      computers run under Linux and have no moving parts.  The commercial IRLP
implementation handles
      voice and paging tones over the VoIP connections

      Replacing older technology paging equipment.

      IRLP designed and implemented a multi-cast voice paging network (4
transmitters) for a
      remote school district in British Columbia without the use of RF based links
between sites. This
      saved the school district thousands of dollars in RF gear and reduced the
operating cost of
      their paging system by 75%.

      Monitoring of remote areas for security reasons.

      Connecting people from remote offices together.

 Please have a look through our website

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/