Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile phone jammer dropped by parachute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:41:28 -0400

Mobile phone jammer dropped by parachute

The US military is developing a cellular style jamming system that can be dropped
into a conflict zone by parachute.  WolfPack, a project of the Defense Advanced
Research Projects Agency, has an objective to create a system that will deny an
adversary use of its communications while not interfering with friendly military
and commercial radio communications.

Most electronic systems are located onboard large, expensive aircraft that have to
be hundreds of miles from the areas they survey, according to Preston Marshall,
WolfPack program manager. However, in looking at commercial technology such as
cell phones, Marshall said they realized there was a need to create a small,
low-cost device that could be placed in the enemies' backyard to both monitor and
knock out their communications.
With six-inch tall cylinder devices, the WolfPack program may be the answer. "Each
device is very small – about 4 inches wide. Each weighs about 6 pounds," he added.

While proximity to the target is a plus, so is the fact that the system can be
placed without ground troops being in the area. The cylinders may be launched or
even air-dropped with small parachutes into an area. To ensure adequate coverage,
a cylinder would be placed each square kilometer.

"The idea is to litter the battlefield with these small objects," said Marshall.
"Once a cylinder hits the ground, it checks itself out," the program manager
explained. "If everything is working properly, the fins will erect and make the
device stand up. An inflatable antenna goes up and it generates a radio signal.
They form a network. Wolf networks find other wolf networks and eventually find a
path back to the command center."

The devices' strength is in their collective use, noted Marshall. "Each WolfPack
is very small, but collectively they gang up on the signal." Troops may also carry
the devices with them. Referred to as "six-pack in a backpack," Marshall said this
will assist troops in setting up defensive perimeters and monitoring areas.

Each device, which runs on battery, should last approximately two months. When
possible, devices can be recovered and reused. The cost of each is estimated at
$10,000.

"It's a robust system and much less expensive than operating an aircraft several
hundred miles away," said Marshall. Officials hope to test a prototype in 18
months.

Posted to the site on 18-Aug-03
 http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9530.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/