Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Death sentence for cell phone thieves

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:44:43 -0400

Death sentence for cell phone thieves

A Kenyan court has sentenced two men to death by hanging after they were found
guilty of stealing a mobile phone.  John King'ori Wachira, alias Manga, and John
Maina Mwangi, alias Blackie were found guilty last week of breaking into a home,
terrorizing the owner and stealing a mobile phone and about US$7 in cash. They
were armed with a toy pistol and some other crude weapons.

Following a tip off, local police raided the house where the suspects lived and
recovered the cell phone.
The magistrate said during sentencing that the law did not offer an alternative
sentence for violent robbery.
There hasn't been a death sentence carried out in Kenya since 1987 when 12 failed
coup leaders were hung.

The sentence could be commuted to live imprisonment, as the current Kenyan
president, Mwai Kibaki commuted 195 death sentences to life imprisonment following
his election victory last December.

Posted to the site on 18-Aug-03

 http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9531.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/