Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fed-Ex Testing Commercial Wireless Technology in Package Delivery Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 02:32:02 -0400

Fed-Ex Testing Commercial Wireless Technology in Package Delivery Source: Fort
Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas)
Publication date: 2003-08-07

Aug. 7--IRVING, Texas--After years of using its own wireless network to
electronically connect delivery people, FedEx is relying on next-generation,
commercial wireless technology to pick up and drop off packages.

The shipping company is testing new hand-held computers, called PowerPads, for its
couriers that will enable them to provide customers with real-time information
about their packages by using AT&T's cellular network, said chief information
officer Rob Carter, who spent Wednesday showing off the PowerPads to workers at
the FedEx technology center in Irving.

"Because the world is becoming more global, we're spending more of our IT money on
trying to make international shipping as easy as possible," Carter said.
Those PowerPads also will have built-in wireless technology that will allow
couriers to automatically print bar code labels from a printer in the truck
without having to use a wire connection.

The PowerPads, which replace existing hand-helds that were originally developed in
1985, are now being tested in the Metroplex and will be distributed to all FedEx
couriers starting next year, Carter said.

The new hand-helds and ball point pens with built-in wireless technology are part
of FedEx's three-year plan to upgrade its technology to make it easier for
customers and employees, the company said. While most companies have cut spending
on information technology services, FedEx has maintained its $1.3 billion IT
budget, Carter said.
"We've continued to invest in the technology that matters the most for our
customers and workers," Carter said.

FedEx has about 230 employees at its technology center in Irving, which performs
software development for Fedex.com and the PowerPad, and also supports the
company's airline operations. The company also has 1,250 employees at two sorting
facilities in Fort Worth.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=40723970&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/