Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Next-Generation GPS Global positioning inches toward a makeover

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:02:57 -0400

Scientific American, Inc
Sept, 2003

Next-Generation GPS Global positioning inches toward a makeover
By Steven Ashley

Some 20 million people now regularly use Global Positioning System (GPS)
technology, relying on signals emitted by 24-plus U.S. NavStar satellites orbiting
the earth (20,000 kilometers up) at any one time. GPS geolocation proved
indispensable during the Afghan and Iraq wars. Every day shipping firms track
delivery trucks while backcountry trekkers pack handheld GPS units that guide them
through pathless wilderness.  Motorola, Nextel and other firms are building cell
phones fitted with GPS chipsets. One company is even designing a tiny, implantable
GPS sensor.

From some perspectives, there does not seem to be much room for
improvement in ubiquitous GPS. Yet in fits and starts, U.S. officials have
begun planning the next generation of satellite navigation technology,
known as GPS III (the current system is the second generation). The driving
forces are better accuracy and reliability, concern about more effective
signal-jamming techniques, alternative geolocation services, and new,
more sophisticated applications, such as intelligent highway and
traffic-safety systems....continued at Scientific American Digital

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa001&articleID=0009FD73-18F1-1F30-9AD380A84189F2D7

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/