Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC will offer free wireless Internet access at Portals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:34:27 -0400

FCC Goes WiFi

August 4, 2003                 

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced today that it would provide
free wireless Internet access to visitors at its Washington, D.C. office.

 “When you come to the FCC, leave the cords at home,” said FCC Chairman Michael K.
Powell. “We’re embracing the power of WiFi and the freedom and convenience of
wireless Internet access it gives to consumers.”

Last year, Powell directed his staff to take the steps needed to make the FCC one
of the first federal agencies to provide public WiFi access. Visitors bringing
their own hardware and software can use the service on the Twelfth Street,
Courtyard, and Eighth Floor levels of the headquarters located at 445 12th Street,
SW in Washington, D.C.

The system uses the 802.11a and 802.11b protocols, commonly referred to as WiFi. 
The Commission will be unable to provide technical support, and all transactions
using this service are the responsibility of the visitor.  At present, the FCC
will not request personal identifying information prior to allowing access to the
wireless network.  If requested by outside authorities, however, the FCC will
provide data from system audit logs to support external investigations of improper
Internet use.  

If there appears to be a system outage, please call (202) 418-WIFI.  

- FCC - 

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-237306A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/