Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Emergency teams get new tech

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:41:25 -0400

Emergency teams get new tech
BY Sara Michael
July 24, 2003

Federal emergency workers in the field will get their own communications systems.
The Department of Health and Human Services is equipping vans of the Secretary's
Emergency Response Teams with laptop computers and satellite communications, said
KC Decker, a program analyst in the department's Office of the Assistant Secretary
for Public Health Emergency Preparedness.

"The footprint they would take to the locale would be very small," Decker said,
speaking at the GovSec conference in Washington.  "It would basically have all the
communications equipment you can carry."
The teams, which would be deployed in case of an emergency or terrorist attack,
would be able to use the devices in their vans to communicate with department
headquarters without interfering with other communications systems.
Decker said HHS' Response Technology Team is in the process of equipping these
vans, and it is unclear when they will be operational.

The teams are centrally-based groups of experts from agencies such as the National
Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Food and Drug
Administration. Each  team has about eight to 10 members, Decker said, and can be
deployed across the country within 24 to 48 hours of an incident. The concept is
part of the Federal Response Plan.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0721/web-hhs-07-24-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/