Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel in favor of Osiptel regulation of rates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:45:43 -0400

Nextel in favor of Osiptel regulation of rates
August 4, 2003

Mr. Miguel Rivera, president of Nextel Peru, says that his company is in favor of
having Osiptel (Organismo Supervisor de la
Inversion en Telecomunicaciones) regulate the rates for fixed phone to cell phone
service, a possibility which is being studied by
the regulatory organ. Mr. Rivera says that the company's position coincides with
the law which states that the telephone company's cost structures should be based
on costs.

Nextel believes that regulation by Osiptel would reduce the costs of the fixed
phone companies, allowing for increased competition and penetration and a greater
number of subscribers. This would be achieved because of the reduction in the cost
of the termination charges paid by the companies for the completion of each call.

Nextel del Peru ended the first half of the year with 141,000 subscribers, an
increase of 11,000 than at the same time in 2002.  The company's income in this
period was above US$40mil. It has invested US$32mil of the US$45mil earmarked in
its current 15-month investment plan, which began in September, 2002. These funds
have been directed to technological strengthening and expansion of the company's
coverage.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR20030804375.4_149800276a352b6b

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/