Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City Of Davis CA. Says: There are only two providers of public safety radio systems (Motorola and M/A-Comm).

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 07:44:05 -0400

What about EFJ, etc.? The Spec must be real tight.........
====================================================

Staff Report
April 21, 2003
TO: City Council

FROM: Rick Guidara, Information/Telecommunications Systems Manager

SUBJECT: Approval of an addendum to the existing consultant agreement with the
Macro Corporation to include the development of a RFP for a citywide Public Safety
Radio System (CIP # 8746)
Recommendation

Approve the attached resolution which authorizes the City Manager to execute the
change in scope (attachment 1) of the existing consultant agreement with Macro
Corporation (attachment 2). The change in scope allows the Macro Corporation to
work with city staff in preparing a bid packet for a citywide public safety radio
system vendor (CIP # 8746). The existing agreement with the Macro Corporation
outlines their role in developing technical specifications, but not a formal bid
packet.
Fiscal Impact

Monies have already been allocated from the radio CIP to fund the original
consultant agreement and this change will not require additional dollars (the
original agreement was not to exceed $100,000).

Background and Analysis

The City’s radio project team has been working with various consultants for more
than 3 years to determine the best radio system for the City of Davis (see the
project timeline on attachment 3). Originally, it appeared that only a Motorola
system would meet our needs and as alternatives to the Motorola system were being
explored another vendor was found that may have a similar system (M/A-Comm). The
city has since received proposals from both vendors. In analyzing the proposals it
became clear that we need to re-define our needs and have each vendor respond
specifically to them. The Macro consulting firm, who was hired through a formal
bid process in 2001 to help insure the Motorola system would meet our needs, has
sufficient expertise in developing bid packets.

Additional research indicates that there are only two providers of public safety
radio systems (Motorola and M/A-Comm) and we will receive similar proposals to
those already received – this formal bid process is a function of changing the
project from a sole-source to an open bid process.

It is estimated to take no more than 3 months to put together a bid packet at
which time another council report will be submitted requesting approval to
distribute the proposal packet to vendors for a formal response. After the
proposal “hits the street” we will allow 45 days for vendor responses and an
additional 2 months for staff and our consultant to review the proposals before
bringing a recommendation back to council. We are also looking into using the
State of California’s, Department of General Services, Telecommunications
Division, to help evaluate the proposals. Depending on the outcome of the selected
system, the City will have to complete differing levels of an environmental
review.

The public safety radio CIP was established in 1998 because of the awareness that
our radio systems are obsolete and no longer adequately meet the needs of Police
and Fire personnel. The primary problem is personnel on the scene of an incident
often times cannot communicate with other staff (city and other agency) at the
same incident, putting their, and the public’s, safety in jeopardy. Sometimes
public safety staff cannot even communicate back to the dispatch center.

More:
http://www.city.davis.ca.us/meetings/councilpackets/20030514/06j_Macro_Agreement_IS.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/