Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Government Looks to Develop Wireless Technology Standards in Public Sector

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:37:46 -0400

Government Looks to Develop Wireless Technology Standards in Public Sector

The Communications Electronics Security Group, the Office of the e-Envoy and
the Office of Government Commerce are set to review a “standards-based
approach” for wireless technology in the public sector. According to the
e-government interoperability framework (e-GIF) released this week, the
government is looking to develop wireless technology standards that will
increase the use of wireless across the public sector, including updated
specifications for messaging and security and revised standards for information
access.

===================================================================

Wed 20 August 2003 04:56PM BST

Standards holding back wireless in government
Policy document looking to develop standards for public sector…

Existing guidance is holding back the use of wireless technology across the public
sector, according to a
policy document released this week.

The latest revision to the e-government interoperability framework (e-GIF) reveals
the government is
looking to develop standards that will increase the use of wireless technology
across the public sector.

The document said: "There is an increasing business requirement
for mobile computing within government to enable more flexible
working patterns. Existing guidance on the use of wireless
technology within government limits wide take-up outside certain
well defined situations."

The Communications Electronics Security Group, the Office of the
e-Envoy and the Office of Government Commerce will examine
the feasibility of a "standards based approach" for the public
sector.

Other changes in the latest version of e-GIF include updated
specifications for messaging and security and revised standards
for information access.

http://silicon.com/news/500022/1/5675.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/