Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Utilities Not Using Outage As Spectrum Card

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:19:07 -0400

Utilities Not Using Outage As Spectrum Card
BY MARK ROCKWELL
AUGUST 19, 2003

WASHINGTON -- Electrical utility lobbyists here don't see the massive power
outage in the Northeast as a trump card in their arguments for more spectrum for
utility companies' internal communications, in spite of increasing scrutiny of
communications systems' role in the blackout.

The United Telecom Council, which represents electric power, water, gas and
pipeline and other "critical infrastructure" entities, has been arguing for years
that
its members need more spectrum to expand increasingly complex internal
communications systems. The blackout that crippled the Northeast, Midwest and
parts of Canada is just the latest example of why utility companies need more
allocated spectrum, says Mark Gedris, spokesman for UTC.

Gedris says the government probably won't be see the event by itself as a reason
to allocate more spectrum to utility companies, even though President Bush has
said electric utilities' facilities are in dire need of modernization. It will,
however,
be yet another illustration of why utility companies need more spectrum.

Reportedly, the latest focus of the government's investigation into the possible
cause of last week's blackout is on communications lines and calls among the
utilities involved. The "hot lines" between utility companies used in times of
emergency were put in place in 1965.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=6&pubdate=08/19/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:19:54 EDT

Unfortunately, Todd, it happens all of the time, not just in the telecom 
field.  No knock on Wiley Rein, but it provides a good example.  Many former FCC 
staffers, including a former Chairman.  They know the people at the FCC, used 
to work for them, or used to be their bosses.  That gives them extraordinary 
access.  Further, when one of the partners is married to the head of 
NTIA........ well, you get the picture.  Again, this is but one example.  And, clients 
like to have that kind of clout when they can afford it.  I didn't work at the 
FCC, and I don't contribute to the Bush campaign, so I come at it as an 
outsider.  At the end of the day, I believe that the impact of being a former insider 
is definately helpful, but if you know your stuff and represent clients in a 
professional manner, the playing field is significantly leveled.  And then, if 
your CLIENT is one who is a contributor, then the playing field is totally 
leveled.  For that one reason alone (leveling the playing field), being part of 
an association is very valuable.

Alan T.

In a message dated 8/20/2003 9:06:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I heard a client tell me why they were working on 02-55 with a well-known 
> communications law firm in Washington.  One of the partner's daughters had 
> worked on the Bush campaign in some way, and thus the partner had claimed access 
> to Mike Powell.  Look, my mom worked on the campaign too and was about 100 
> feet from George W. when he was sworn in and a signed picture of George H. 
> giving my mom a big hug, but does that give me access to the Chairman of the 
> Federal Communications Commission?  I hope not!
> 
>   
> 
> It burned me up to hear why the client was hoping to have some magical 
> access to the Commission because of the braggadocio of an overpaid legal firm 
> partner.  Not hitting on attorneys, but this blatant claim took my breath away.
> 
>   
> 
> Todd Ellis
> 
>