Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hughes targets RV parks with satellite/Wi-Fi technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:35:49 -0400

I guess Trialer Parks are next!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hughes targets RV parks with satellite/Wi-Fi technology
By SAM OMATSEYE
August 07 12:44:00, 2003

Satellite technology will bring Wi-Fi to recreational vehicle parks and resorts
across the continental United States, thanks to a solution from Hughes Networks
Systems.

The solution renders terrestrial networks irrelevant with a satellite-based Wi-Fi
solution. The company describes its product as an end-to-end solution from the
satellite in the sky down to the access point, according to Mahesh Bhave, vice
president of business development for HNS. It is the first satellite-enabled Wi-Fi
technology, he claimed.

“Today, most RV travelers rely on dial-up connections or dedicated modems found in
the common area of an RV park or resort for Internet access,” said HNS. “Wi-Fi
access allows RV travelers to connect directly to the Internet from the comfort
and convenience of their motor homes, using laptops or PDAs enabled with
industry-standard Wi-Fi capabilities.”

Any user with a wireless laptop can connect to an access point, and that links to
an HNS terminal that connects to the satellite via a dish. The satellite connects
the HNS Hub, which opens into the Internet. All the products are provided by HNS,
according to Bhave.

“We have a total-mile solution,” said Bhave, which includes transport, management
and access. He said HNS is targeting about 16,000 RV parks all over the United
States, and the services have already been deployed in a number of parks in
Southern California, especially in the San Diego area.
He said the company arrived at the solution by upgrading its satellite-based
backhaul system with access points and developing the back-end to support
subscriber management, quality of service, report regeneration and network
management. “We offer installation, provisioning and network management to quality of
service,” said Bhave.

HNS’ network operation center is in Washington D.C.
He lists four attributes that distinguish HNS products from what is available.
First, it is an end-to-end solution. It also covers the continental United States,
and the company installs and maintains the network. Finally, it complements other
Wi-Fi providers.

Bhave said the HNS solution does not provide any voice feature, which means its
product does not carry voice over Internet Protocol capabilities. Its solution
also is not connected to cellular networks yet, although HNS is currently looking
to partner with operators for roaming services, he said.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14617

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/