Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Louisiana Professional Engineering Exam:

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:45:07 -0400

Louisiana Professional Engineering Exam:

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
support a 10-pound possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on
blocks in your front yard?

a. 66 Ford Fairlane
b. 69 Chevrolet
c. Chevelle
d. 64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20
gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the
product?

4. A woodcutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density
of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres
in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweisers will it take
to cut the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a
field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet.  The
porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound
dogs will be killed?

7. A man in Ozone, Tennessee, owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a
hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the
children place a mobile home on the man's land?

8. A 20 ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep
grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic on
secondary roads, what are the chances that it will strike a vehicle that has a
muffler?

9. A coalmine operated a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The
mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd
shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

10. At a reduction in gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per generation,
how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by the interstate to breed a
country-western singer?

(From Louisiana Legionnaire-Spring 2003 edition.)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Paul J. Zawada" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:12:30 -0500

>Louisiana Professional Engineering Exam:

(I've seen this exam attributed to West Virginia... Note the 
reference to coal mines and steep grades...)

...

>gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to 

You are missing part 2 of this question:  Calculate the size of the 
adjacent hog farm required to mask the odor emanating from the still 
from ATF agents.

:-) :-)

--zawada