Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Gets a Failing Grade

From: Cormier Chris-ACC125 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:23:30 -0500

I believe the emergency services business is about SLAs. I would like to see
the Nextel SLA that describes 99.999%. (I don't think you are going to find
it.) If a public safety agency is going to expect 5 nines without having it
in writing, there is your failure. It is not within Nextel infrastructure.
It is within the agency that is misunderstanding what they are buying.
Without more information, I would consider this frivolous.
-chris

;I thank you for voicing the truth about Nextel system unreliability.

;But what kind of idiots does Nextel take everyone else for?

;Nextel themselves has made system dependability and survivability during
;unusual events and emergencies 'their issue' and is now getting the
;special attention they deserve as a result.

;Only Nextel has focused so strongly to promote their services as
;suitable for public safety, first-responder, interoperability solutions.

;You KNOW Nextel is a vulnerable to power failures and breaks in central
;controller links as any other cellular company, BUT Nextel don't market
;their services that way. In fact one recent news release boasted Nextel
;was no longer dependent upon telco links, inferring some higher grade of
;dependability.
;But I may be wrong............
;Jack Daniel
;==================================== 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "lialarm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:12:03 -0000

I am the public safety industry and relied on NEXTEL. 
Just as a follow-up to "NEXTEL Gets a Failing Grade",  I was working 
in Northport NY today. The phone would not work at all although I had 
full signal indication. It would ring and there was no one there.  
Then I would get a voice mail indication. The direct connect would 
work. I called NEXTEL to in find out what was going on and the 
representative said that the engineers were working on the problem. I 
inquired why the NEXTELs  stopped working at 4PM on Thursday and my 
Verizon Cell phone  continued to work she said that NEXTEL phones 
can't roam!. I said why didn't NEXTEL have backup power for the 
system and she said NEXTEL phones can't roam!  Well now that Verizon 
has Push-to-Talk I guess I am on my way.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:38:45 EDT

Well, it's not necessarily true of ALL providers, unless you want to strictly 
limit your definition of "providers" to cellular, PCS and Nextel.

Some of our SMR clients that have public safety and utility customers have 
generators at their sites.  These companies are considered "providers", too, 
definitionally.

You could probably boil it down to this........ if you are a public safety or 
utility entity, and you are seeking to obtain service from another entity, or 
even be part of a co-op, be totally aware of what the network provides for, 
and doesn't provide for.

Alan T.

In a message dated 8/18/2003 5:36:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Alan:

You are right, it was not directed at you.

The point being, their phone worked for 3 hours or so after the main outage. 
What most "consumers" don't realize is that the EBTS sites are on a battery 
backup and that is only going to last for so long. The MSO has a generator, but 
again...that is going to only last for so long. The same is basically true of 
all providers. All providers were effected to some degree based upon a 
geographic location. From everything that I have been reading, these exact same 
stories are being told about ALL of the carriers.

Michael