Subject: [NEXTEL-1] China's CEC Intros New Wrist Phone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:35:59 -0400

China's CEC Intros New Wrist Phone

China's mobile subscribers may be willing to pay more than $1,100 for a small
wrist phone. Electronics conglomerate China Electronics Corporation (CEC)
released a the write phone, based on the CDMA 1x network technology. The
phone includes a tiny phone with a keypad, color screen and camera. It also
features voice dialing, voice recording, polyphonic ring tones and a world clock.
The F88 is being pre-sold by several Chinese web sites.
================================================================================
Story URL:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/emergingtech/0,39020357,39115686,00.htm

Chinese firm unveils mobile wristphone
Staff, CNETAsia
CNETAsia
August 13, 2003, 13:25 BST

A Chinese company has launched a tiny, pricey wristphone that packs in features
found in larger phones, such as a keypad,
colour screen and camera.

Government-run electronics conglomerate CEC (China Electronics Corporation) has
released the mobile phone, designed for
China's CDMA 1x network.

Several Chinese Web sites are currently taking orders for the F88. The retail
price of the device on cellular enthusiast Web site
139shop.com is $1,158 (£723).

The F88 measures just 38.3 x 76.7 x 17 cm, excluding wrist band, and comes with
voice dialling, four minutes of voice
recording, 16 polyphonic ring tones and a world clock. A small keypad has been
fitted to the wristband.

A wired earpiece is worn on the finger like a ring. To listen to the call, the
ring is held up to the ear. However, a more
conventional wireless infrared earphone or wired earpiece is also available.

There is a small 256-color STN colour display on the device, which also has a
removable 300,000 pixel camera that can rotate
180 degrees vertically.

The F88 is WAP-enabled and CEC claims a talk time of up to 120 minutes and a
stand-by time of up to 100 hours for the F88
with the 600mAh battery. The device weighs 100 grams with the battery.

Japanese mobile service provider and handset maker NTT DoCoMo released the world's
first wristwatch-phone, the
Wristomo, in March this year. It runs on the PHS (Personal Handyphone System)
communications standard, which is used only
in Japan.

Companies such as Motorola and Siemens have demonstrated prototype wristphones,
but have not sold them commercially.
While phones can be made even smaller than they already are, human interface
problems crop up with tiny phones, such as
how to dial with a tiny keypad and how to speak into the device.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/