Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Athens 2004 Security To Get Last Minute Changeswf

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 05:55:49 -0400

Friday, August 22, 2003
Athens 2004 Security To Get Last Minute Changes

Posted 12:07 pm ET (GamesBids.com)
Scientific Applications International (SAIC), the U.S. company handling security
for the Athens 2004 Games, has been asked by the Greek government to make last
minute changes in procurement agreements, in an attempt to overcome worsening
delays in security preparations for the Games reports the Financial Times.

OTE, the Greek public telecoms operator, would take over responsibility for
installing a Tetra wireless communications network for the Greek police and
security services and Motorola, the U.S. telecoms supplier, would provide
equipment.
The Tetra network is due to be launched next April, so that 45,000 police and
security personnel would have adequate time for training.

According to the Financial Times the network would cover about 600 Olympic sites
in Attica, the region surrounding Athens, from sports venues and media centres to
port facilities. The Greek police, backed up by an international team of
intelligence and security advisers, would manage it. An OTE official said, “the
deadlines are uncomfortably near, but we can build on the existing network and
start training as we go”.

Meanwhile, gas masks will be provided for passengers in the Athens subway during
the Games, in case of an assassination attempt with chemical weapons, reports the
Athens-based newspaper To Wima.

About 24,000 gas masks will be purchased and each metro railroad car will have 175
masks. Also about 15 special devices will be purchased to detect chemical weapons
as part of increased security measures.

Herman Frazier, a top U.S. Olympic Committee official who will lead the U.S.
delegation at the 2004 Games is in Athens for a two-day inspection visit. He
thinks that preparations for the Games are on track.

Athens organizers are briefing Olympic committees from around 196 countries.
Frazier said each country will hold private talks with organizers concerning
security concerns raised by the U.S. delegation, which plans to bring its own
contingent of guards and anti-terrorism experts to the Games.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/