Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Alaska Land Mobile Radio

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:33:04 -0400

Alaska Land Mobile Radio FY2004 Request:
Reference No:
$680,000
37949
AP/AL: Appropriation Project Type: Construction
Category: Development

Location: Statewide Contact: Dan Spencer

Election District: Statewide Contact Phone: (907)465-5655
Estimated Project Dates: 07/01/2003 - 06/30/2006

Brief Summary and Statement of Need:

Funding will be used to continue the process of converting Federal, State, and
local emergency communications systems to technology that will provide for
interoperability (the ability of different agencies with different communications
systems to communicate across jurisdictions and with each other).

Funding: FY2004 FY2005 FY2006 FY2007 FY2008 FY2009 Total

Gen Fund $680,000 $680,000

Total: $680,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $680,000

State Match Required One-Time Project Phased - new Phased - underway On-Going
0% = Minimum State Match % Required Amendment Mental Health Bill
Operating & Maintenance Costs: Amount Staff
Total Operating Impact: 0 0
One-Time Startup Costs: 0
Additional Estimated Annual O&M: 0 0

Prior Funding History:
FY1998 $485,000 GF; FY2001 $850,000 ISF, $350,000 Federal; FY2002 $1,153,178 GF,
$539,900
ISF, $14,893,700 Federal

Project Description/Justification:

Alaska Land Mobile Radio Project

Communications is an important aspect of Homeland Defense, and land mobile radio
systems are the most essential component of communications. The inability to
effectively communicate between public safety responders at all levels of
government during day-to-day operations and responding to natural and man-made
disasters has been problematic over the years. The events of September 11th have
emphasized the immediate need for improvements in secure interoperable
communications among public safety first responders.

The federal, state and local public safety community in Alaska is currently using
a wide variety of aged (10-30 year old) unsecure radio communication systems,
which are the primary communications devices that support mutual aid and task
force/homeland defense missions. Each of these systems has been implemented
independently, use different manufacturers proprietary technology and different
portions of the radio frequency spectrum. The result is an inability to
communicate with one another when needed.

To address this problem, the Alaska Land Mobile Radio Project team has completed a
planning and system design phase of the ALMR project and is currently implementing
the Concept Demonstration phase of the project.  The Concept Demonstration Project
will implement a demonstration system to illustrate the increased benefits and new
interoperable capabilities of ALMR. The ALMR project team has developed functional
goals that will be met during the Concept Demonstration Project and are listed
below:

Total federal, state and local government public safety, first responder
interoperability in the Fairbanks area, ?
State of Alaska Capital Project Summary Department of Administration
Governor's FY04 Capital Budget Reference No: 37949

Wide area connectivity (seamless statewide secure interoperable communications for
first responders), ??Ted Stevens Airport and Municipality of Anchorage, first
responder interoperability with existing 800Mhz system, ??Command & control and
first responder connectivity and interoperability with statewide remote FAA sites
??through FAA backbone, Evaluation of APCO P25 standards based public safety
communications multiple vendor equipment, ??Connectivity to and secure
communications with DOT/Coast Guard maritime communications systems,
??Connectivity to DOT highway communications system for mobile data transmission
to expedite road ??maintenance in urban and rural Alaska and interoperable
communications for road maintenance personnel, Business model that will define a
fiscally sound path to implement and operate a fully deployed ALMR system ??across
the state by federal, state, and local government public safety entities, To meet
these goals critical equipment was purchased which includes a system controller
and related equipment for the build out of 5 sites. Concurrent to the Concept
Demonstration Project the DOD will be building out the first 9 northern region
sites of Phase 1 and also purchase a controller. Redundant controllers will ensure
future system redundancy, security and reliability.

Homeland Security Exercise Support, March 10-14, 2003:
In November 2002 the DoD requested that the ALMR Concept Demonstration system
support the communications needs of the Northern Edge training exercise in Valdez
on March 10-15, 2003. Approval was subsequently received from the ALMR Executive
Council and the ALMR State Steering Committee to proceed. The plan calls for the
relocation of existing Concept Demonstration equipment and collocating it with
existing equipment at the State of Alaska facilities in Valdez. The exercise will
involve the use of up to 300 radios, loaned to the project by the Department of
Justice, and will be issued to Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, State Trooper, Valdez
Police, Fire and EMS, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, Doyon, Valdez Community
Hospital and Marine Highways.

At the conclusion of the Concept Demonstration Project and completion of DOD
initial 9 site build out anticipated for the end of second quarter 2003, the
Fairbanks coverage area will have “a live” land mobile radio system operating that
will provide interoperable capabilities for public safety first responders
including the military. The Fairbanks area system will be showcased to gain
further support from the user communities and show increased benefits and
capabilities of the new equipment. Transition plans as well as operations and
maintenance plans are currently underway. Also costs of operation, existing site
preparation and implementation costs will be captured and used as a baseline
estimates for future project deployment.
The completion of the North Zone phase of the ALMR project has been estimated to
cost a total of $6.8 million for the following projects:

Site preparation upgrades for 34 north zone radio sites (Phase 1 – 8 sites, Phase
2 - 20 sites) ?
Installation and implementation of radio repeaters at these sites servicing the
highway from Fairbanks to Valdez and ?
Fairbanks to the Mat-Su Valley, where the south zone begins,

Program and systems implementation management,
Preparation of frequency applications and licensing fees,
Subscriber units for users in the northern region.

The State anticipates this will be funded on a 90% Federal, 10% State funding
ratio. The project has already received enough Federal Receipts authority from
past legislative appropriations. We continue to work with the Alaska delegation in
Washington D.C. to secure federal appropriations and/or grants, and expect to
receive additional federal grants over the next year. This request for $680,000
from the general fund is the amount expected to be needed for the state’s match.

State of Alaska Capital Project Summary Department of Administration
Governor's FY04 Capital Budget Reference No: 37949
3/4/03 3:34:44 PM

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/omb/04_OMB/budget/Admin/proj37949.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/