Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NPSPAC freq users need to wake up!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:43:34 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Cliff Bailey" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  NPSPAC freq users need to wake up!

Why is it that I have not read anywhere in this forum so far about 
the most major problem with moving NPSPAC frequency users lower in 
the 800 spectrum.  That is...your Smartnet 6809, Startsite 6809, and 
Smartzone 2.x and 3.x controllers cannot deal with 12.5 KHz spacing 
anywhere else except where it is today.  Neither can your mobiles and 
portables.  All of this hardware will need a major software rewrite 
to deal with it unless NPSPAC is NOT going to be based upon 12.5 KHz 
spacing?  I have not read anywhere in the consensus plan where NPSPAC 
would be regranted as 25 KHz channels lower in the band.  The amount 
of spectrum is no bigger than the current allocation.

  Motorola once stated that it would take manyears (and of course 
millions of untold $$) to rewrite the code for this.  It is tacitly 
funny that Nextel submitted an example to the FCC proceeding 02-55 on 
7/31/03 consisting of 40 pages which "demonstrated" the swinging of a 
NPSPAC system down in the band.  Their example uses standard channels 
and neither a mix of both does it show.  You cannot mix in one 
Smartnet system (a site for Smartzone) both offset and non-offset 
channels.  IF the new channel doesn't have a current existing channel 
number assigned to it that the controller recognizes, it WONT WORK!  
BUT, you bet your bottom dollar that because of coordination issues, 
you will need to have access to both.

Border issues....not only is San Diego messed up by the consensus 
plan but don't forget Yuma, Tucson, and other border states!  Nextel 
has no plan yet to speak of.  We have discussed this with them and 
they have not countered with a solution.

Cliff Bailey
Sr. Comm Network Engineer
Pinnacle West Capital Corp
Parent Co. of Arizona Public Service Co.
Phx, AZ

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:51:53 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: "Swift, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  NPSPAC freq users need to wake up!

I wonder if APCO knew about this little gotcha? This sounds like a pricey
proposition. It sure is good to be an EDACS user.  The more I hear about this, the
more I think my overly simplistic plan of sending radio techs out to tune up those
darned Iden stations is the best solution.  I apologize for being in smart alec
mode the day before a beautiful three day weekend.  
Regards,
Jason Swift
APCO Member