Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC enforcement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:14:45 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FCC enforcement

Good comments Rick and Blitz.

Too bad no one from the FCC or Congress pays any attention to the
Private Wireless Forum postings.

You didn't mention they tossed in the towel on controlling equipment
authorizations too.

There is a foreign manufacturer that is taking millions of dollars if
wireless hardware sales by abusing the new approval process. I've
complained and discussed this with people at OET several times and while
they seem to agree that the applications are puzzling they say the
applicant complied with the paperwork procedure and the worse they would
get is a notice to resubmit proper documentation.

Most people don't know about the new processes;
1. The FCC now allows privately owned, for-profit "Telecommunications
Certification Bodies" (TCB) to approve equipment certifications.  (47CFR
Part 2.960)

2. The FCC accepts the approvals made by a TCB without question,
allowing a 30 day window for someone to question the approval and put
the approval on suspension until resolved. After 30 days a protester has
to prove the documents filed were improper and the manufacturer can
correct the 'error' or contest the complaint. Naturally he keeps
shipping and profiting.

3. The system relies 100% upon the TCB to comply with the rules and we
know how easy it is for some corporations to intentionally 'error', the
reward for cheating being greater than the punishment.

4. But the loss of control and responsibility doesn't stop at the TCB.
The TCB can "sub-contract" the whole process to others as they see fit. 

5. Add to that the fact that TCB's may be in a foreign country!. As far
as I know there is only one foreign TCB at this time but the door is
open.

Next time you use the FCC's certification database, don't be surprised
that an equipment certification was files AND APPROVED on the same date.
That means a TCB approved it and the FCC rubber stamped it with no
scrutiny.

Bottom line: If you want a FCC equipment certification, find a
sub-contractor (they are all over the US) that will accept your phony
applications and documentation if you pay his fee and start peddling the
stuff.

Even if they revoke your certification you don't have to refund the
customers money, you can restart the process again next week and not 
miss one sale. 

Of course you can also do what I caught one importer doing; use a FCC
certification number for one product on a totally different one. Nobody
checks anyway and it'll get you past customs.

After complying with FCC rules for 50 years I'm wondering why bother
anymore, it just increases my costs and makes me less competitive to
importers.

FCC can't give up control, they already have!

Jack Daniel
===========================================

blitz wrote:
> 
> Ahh, youre coming to my view Rick.
> The FCC and radio in general has paralleled the education system down
> the drain.
> I at one time worried about my 1st Phone, and they dumbed it down,
> doing away with any ticket to run a TV station. Then they were free to
> hire clueless minorities for window dressing.
> > They did away with CB licensing, (and I applaud this) because the
> possibility of policing millions and millions of idiots with a radio
> is impossible. Period.
> 
> They finally did away with any need for a FCC certification in the
> Land mobile business, (yes save international circuits and aircraft)
> as a payoff to the big companies like batbreath so they could hire
> inferiors, at reduced wages. We all see where that got us.
> 
> They dumbed down everything they touched, and wheel out a loudmouth
> like Reily Hollingsworth to proclaim virtue and good behavior. Fluff
> and garbage. Too little too late. Only addressing the symptoms, not
> the cause.
> 
> I say, I'm sick of the scam. Radio has degenerated into chaos, and to
> put it bluntly, I'm gonna get mine. Screw them all.
> Start with the big ones, like batwing and radio schlack, bend them
> over and stick it to them....like they did us years ago. Every bastard
> operation like Nextel needs outed and raked over the coals. If the FCC
> wont do it, WE need to get as many people to drop them as we can.
> 
> I tell my friends in IT this all the time. They wonder where all the
> jobs went, I say look around, at large companies paying off
> politicians to bring in inferiors from foreign countries to take your
> jobs at half your wage.
> 
> The only way it works is to un-elect them, foreign trash cant vote and
> corporations cant vote, YOU and I vote, use it with care.
> 
> At 09:39 8/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> 
>      The FCC rules are sort of like the Burglar Alarm decals they
>      sell at Radio Shack, psychological police action rather than
>      actual enforcement.
> 
> 
> 
>      I remember being concerned about doing my job correctly
>      because I didn't want to lose my FCC First Class license.
> 
>      FCC response: do away with the license.
> 
> 
> 
>      I remember being a CB radio operator and not wanting to
>      violate the rules and lose my license.
> 
>      FCC response: do away with the license.
> 
> 
> 
>      I remember telling people I sold low power portable radios
>      to, be sure you fill out this application and get a license
>      so you will be legal.
> 
>      FCC response: do away with the license.
> 
> 
> 
>      I think if it were left to the FCC, Public carriers would
>      Police their own spectrum and chaos would police everything
>      else.
> 
> 
>      ==========================================
>      Henrik "Rik" Rasmussen

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:05:45 -0400

------- Original Message --------
   From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  FCC enforcement

Jack:

There's ways to get noticed by the Commission, and then there's WAYS to be noticed
by the Commission.  I had a client complain about a license paper mill that took
his money 15 months in advance, didn't renew his license, and then lost the
license.  This resulted in an STA and a new application post haste…

Gettysburg HATES that sort of thing.  I put together a complaint letter on behalf
of the client and sent it to Gettysburg.  I received a VERY nice e-mail from an
FCC employee whose title starts with the word "Chief", telling me that he had
fast-forwarded my letter to the people who needed to read it.  I was pleasantly
surprised, and boy was my client impressed!  I wish I had really done more to have
gotten the attaboy, but hey, it was free.

Mebbe it's the degree of irritation (or squeak) that the FCC folks start
exhibiting that gets the grease?

Todd Ellis

Raleigh, NC

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Daniel [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: FCC enforcement

I'd be more surprized if the FCC followed up on the flagrant violations
I have reported. Not  ONE  word back.

I know a Part 90 system right now that was offered and sold without FCC
cerification (not even in the process) and when they got a
'certification mill' certification using deceptive supporting
documentation after it was delivered, they installed and are are
operating on frequencies that the equipemnt was not certified for and
with power levels that are about 40 times the 'certified' level.

I'm not going to waste my time reporting it when experience shows
nothing will happen anyway.

Jack Daniel
==============================================

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->