Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel customers are lining up for a mass exodus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:32:13 -0400

Nextel customers are lining up for a mass exodus
Tech Update
July 17, 2003 6:42 PM PT

See our special report for more reader comments on the state of customer service.
In response to David Berlind's "Nextel blows customer moments of truth...again,"
Jack Estes writes:

I like the concept of a CCSO, but I'd offer that any properly run organization
should empower every employee to function as one.  I have had no less than 14
failed "moments of truth" with Nextel in the past 18 months. That's just with my
wireless phone service. My company has 177 other Nextel phones so I can only
imagine how many other incidents have occurred within just our account. It would
seem that Nextel's management believes that a differentiating technology engenders
more customer loyalty than even adequate customer service. I admit that I've
stayed with them only because of the walkie-talkie feature.  With Verizon and
SprintPCS preparing PTT on their networks, we are shackled no more.

Nextel's abysmal commitment to customer service has forced me to forego renewing
our contract. I am now simply waiting for number portability to become a reality
so I can move my organization to another provider. We pay slightly more each month
that we're not under contract, but the freedom to switch is well worth it. I
understand that Nextel simply serves as an example of the larger issue in your
piece--poor customer service. There are myriad other companies within every
vertical market with similar issues. I submit that a large part of the blame lies
with the consumer. We've become complacent in our quest for the latest technology,
willing to accept a gizmo without thought to the support behind it. When we buy a
new car, most of us would consider the quality of the warranty and the dealer's
service department. Why should a wireless phone be any different? They have come
to play such an integral part in our everyday business and personal lives. Large
organizations like Nextel can indeed deliver excellent service. After experiencing
IBM's customer service/repair processes firsthand, I know this to be true. I won't
let my company buy another brand of computer for that reason alone. Consumers are
even willing to pay a premium for good service so there's no reason not to
implement it.

With other carriers set to debut digital walkie-talkie functionality, and the
federal government set to legislate number portability, you can bet customers are
lining up for the mass exodus at Nextel. I'll be first in line.

Jack Estes Aegis Technology Partners, LLC Saint Louis, Missouri
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2914299,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/