Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Prices Drop, But Hype Could Undermine Service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:37:22 -0400

Hi-Five Wi-Lie Hype? Nah this could not be!
=============================================================
Wi-Fi Prices Drop, But Hype Could Undermine Service

Prices for 802.11 chips and gear are dropping rapidly as the number of public WLAN
hotspots are rising, but the technology has yet to gain critical mass either for
consumers or carriers, according to executives at the annual Telecosm conference
in California. Average selling prices for Wi-Fi chips will be slashed in half to
USD 8 this year, USD 4 next year and as little as USD 2 in 2006, predicted Sky
Dayton, CEO of Boingo Wireless. In a discussion, Dayton estimated there are now
5,000 hotspots in the US, a number that must double in key areas such as airports,
hotels and conference centers to get Wi-Fi to critical mass. Intel president, Paul
Otellini reiterated Intel's support for 802.11 that were now integrated it in all
its Centrino notebook chip sets. We are jumping in front of the parade, said
Otellini. Reported by Internet Week.  See www.wirelessNOW.com for additional
details.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/