Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi train set to depart

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:08:40 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Wi-Fi train set to depart

Wi-Fi train set to depart; 
California company to test wireless system for riders

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/auto/epaper/editions/today/business_f3
843683517950ae10d0.html

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Monday, August 25, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The Wi-Fi train has reached the station. Commuters in and 
out of Silicon Valley will be the first in the United States to experience 
wireless Internet access while riding the rails. 

When Paris launched a similar experiment months ago, it prompted the question, 
why not in the United States, especially Silicon Valley? 

Now we have an answer: A three-month trial will begin in September for riders 
of Altamont Commuter Express, or ACE Rail. 

It's free during the trial; fees for later have yet to be determined

The rail line carries about 1,300 passengers a day on round trips between 
Stockton and San Jose. Most of them are aboard the train for at least one hour, 
and many are laptop-toting high-tech or business employees. 

Wi-Fi, a short-range radio technology that stands for wireless fidelity, is 
showing up in a growing number of public spaces, including cafes, McDonald's 
and Schlotzsky's restaurants, parks and airports. 

ACE Rail's Wi-Fi networks will get their Internet connections via satellite. 

PointShot Wireless, a Canadian company that is providing ACE with Wi-Fi 
equipment, said another California commuter rail line from the Sacramento 
suburbs to Oakland and San Jose plans a similar trial. 

PointShot has already set up a system for train riders between Montreal and 
Toronto. Virgin Trains also expects to announce Wi-Fi service plans for its 
London-area commuters later this year. 

"It's a tremendously ripe market," said Keith Waryas, an industry analyst with 
IDC. "It makes a lot of sense to have this network in motion."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/