Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US police migrating to GPRS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:31:17 -0400

US police migrating to GPRS

Padcom, a provider of mobile virtual network (MVN) solutions has announced that
the City of Fremont Police
Department has used its TotalRoam software to establish a seamless migration path
from their Cellular Digital
Packet Data (CDPD) network to a new GPRS network. The software upgrade provides
the department with the static
IP addressing needed to meet public safety application requirements while
maintaining the ability to seamlessly
roam between dissimilar networks. The software integrates easily with systems and
applications already in use.

At present the City of Fremont Police Department uses TotalRoam to create a mobile
virtual network that allows
mobile units to roam seamlessly between their current wide-area networks (GPRS and
CDPD) and 802.11b WLAN
"hotspots" deployed across the city, facilitating information sharing, providing
access to critical applications and
enabling high-speed data transfers. The Fremont PD decided to implement the new
network in advance of the actual
end of support for the CDPD network to take advantage of the improved speed
offered through the GPRS network,
and to prepare their mobile fleet for the absence of CDPD. A standard upgrade to
the TotalRoam Gateway server
allowed the Fremont PD IT administrators to equip the first cruiser on June 11,
2003. The first phase of cruiser
deployments is now complete and by the end of August 2003 they plan to equip an
additional 80 cruisers with the
technology, integrating their databases and current applications with the new GPRS
network.

"Due to discontinued support of our CDPD network by the carriers, the department
needed a fast and easy solution
to transition to a GPRS network," said Pam Lutzinger, Information Systems Manager,
City of Fremont Police
Department. "Padcom's technology made the switch to GPRS very easy and we look
forward to migrating the rest of
the fleet to the GPRS network. TotalRoam(R) already addresses critical department
requirements such as
encryption regulations and the need for seamless roaming between networks. The
fact that the static IP addressing
was integrated into the TotalRoam(R) solution made the migration process simple
and seamless."

A number of police agencies and mobile workers across the USA are currently
dealing with changes in wireless
communications, specifically the phase out of CDPD networks. In addition to the
City of Fremont, four more Padcom
customers are currently using TotalRoam to manage similar CDPD to GPRS migrations.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9475.shtml

Posted to the site on 08-Aug-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/