Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush to nominate Gallagher to lead NTIA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:49:43 -0400

Bush to nominate Gallagher to lead NTIA

by Jeffrey Silva
Aug. 22, 2003

WASHINGTON

President Bush said he intends to nominate Michael Gallagher to head the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration, a key policy unit the
administration wants to merge with other technology agencies.

Gallagher, previously an aide to former Rep. Rick White (R-Wash.) and a Verizon
Wireless lobbyist, currently serves as deputy chief of staff to Commerce Secretary
Donald Evans. Before that, Gallagher was deputy to former NTIA chief Nancy
Victory, who left her post last week.

“I believe Mike’s vast experience in telecommunications policy will serve the
department well, and I look forward to working with him on such critical issues as
the deployment of broadband and management of our nation’s airwaves,” said Evans.

In recent years, NTIA has been at the center of fierce battles over transferring
spectrum from the Pentagon to wireless carriers for third-generation services and
the commercialization of new technologies like ultra-wideband and Wi-Fi. Gallagher
played a key role in some of the negotiations leading to compromises on those
issues. But while he appears to have the respect of industry, Gallagher has failed
to win over some government spectrum managers who have fought to protect federal
radio systems from commercial wireless interference. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14799

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/