Subject: [NEXTEL-1] But how many radios can I install in it?

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:45:07 -0400

A mild diversion...here's a car I'd like to trade up to:  the new Cadillac
CTS-V.  For those who haven't heard about it.  It's the little Caddy you've
seen in the commercials with the Led Zep music in the background, except
5,000 limited copies of the 2004 model will have the Corvette LS6 motor.

New info from the Car & driver test!

"the engine produced a refined shriek that is far removed from the 
guttural roar it generates in a Corvette."

"...base will definitely be less than $50,000."

0 - 60: 4.7 seconds
Standing 1/4: 13.1 @ 109mph
400bhp and 390lb. ft. torque
3850 lb. curb weight
18 / 27 fuel EPA

Now...food for thought...anyone ever put a radio and antenna in a CTS
before??  I gotta believe the engine compartment is stuffed with the LS6...

Todd Ellis
Raleigh, NC

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:32:50 -0400

> "...base will definitely be less than $50,000."

Damn- The BMW M5 is 4.7 sec too.
But the price starts at  $85K

> Standing 1/4: 13.1 @ 109mph

M5 [email-masked]

> 400bhp and 390lb. ft. torque

M5-
394bph@6600 Rpm
369lb. ft. torque@3800 Rpm

> 3850 lb. curb weight

              Curb Weight, lb
                                     4024

> 18 / 27 fuel EPA

Gas prob the same-

Hot Car overall ....... M5 performence on a Caddy budget.

> before??  I gotta believe the engine compartment is stuffed with the LS6...

On my last couple of cars Bimmer & Jag I purchased the shop manuals on CD for $100 as a guide. ALLDATA is good
supplier.  Both times I ended up using covert antennas.
They mount inside the lower rear quarter panel. One for VHF/UHF and one for 800 MHZ. They are Unity gain and slightly
directional they are rated at 50 Watts and the VSWR is decent.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:22:20 -0400

For radios I went with 2 covertacoms ( VHF\UHF & 800 Mhz) mounted in the trunk under the rear deck.

They both have full display mics, So I ran the cables for the display mics to a storage compartment in the arm rest. I
mounted a 12 watt amplified Moto spk under the dash out of sight. I made a simple circuit with two pots to send both
audio feeds into one spk. Last month I added a FM modulator to the spk circuit so I can listen to radio traffic outside the 
car on a broadcast radio.

I'm sure a similar install will work with the Caddy.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:28:26 -0700

Wait for the new BMW 6 series.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] But how many radios can I install in it?

> They mount inside the lower rear quarter panel. One for VHF/UHF and one
for 800 MHZ. They are Unity gain and slightly

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:31:15 -0400

I heard, I heard but how much? $90K??

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:36:13 -0700

Not sure. I'll check around. As for the M5 you can find some good deals
lurking around - 60k for 2 year-old, low-mileage models. My next door
neighbor just picked one up.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:52:10 -0400

Never Mind the 6 Series profile and rear looks like a $20K Nissan Altima.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=389612&make_type_query=make%3DBMW&model_brand_query=model%3D6-Series&tree=BMW%206-Series

"Market launch in Germany is planned for the end of 2003 and the price not yet finally determined will be oriented to
the price level of the new BMW 7 Series."

Only 333 Bph  and 0-60  5.6 sec.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_BMW/doc_bmw0307151/cms/news/newsarticle.html

They took the 4.4L  7 series engine and jammed it in a 6

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:53:30 -0700

Here's some more info. It's the 645Ci:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030711-1.htm

Says pricing will be close to the 7. I'm assuming it won't be higher so
probably something in the neighborhood of high 60s to low 70s. I would bet
somewhere in the mid 60s or thereabouts.

I'm not a huge fan of the new designs. The 7 is being redesigned again
(thankfully). I have a '01 740iL sport currently so I'm hopeful they'll have
the design/iDrive mishaps ironed out in the next couple years.

Sorry for the off-topic thread here. I got sidetracked by the M5 post...one
of my favorite cars.

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:59:07 -0700

Agreed regarding the design. I've said from the start whoever's responsible
for the new models (rear in particular) should be sacked without hesitation.

By contrast Daimler-Chrysler is turning out some stunning work. Not just on
the MB line, but on domestics like the new Chrysler Crossfire. Chrysler has
really profited from the MB design team(s).

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] But how many radios can I install in it?

>
> "Market launch in Germany is planned for the end of 2003 and the price not
yet finally determined will be oriented to

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:58:48 -0000

Thanks a lot......

I'm not impressed....Are you?
I was expecting a Turbo aspirated engine, 450 bhp, 0-60 in 
the 4's, 500lbs Tourque, yada, yada......

( I know Shelby, Porsche...)

--- In [email-masked], "Dylan Bromby" <dylan@b...> wrote:
> From: <Marcelrf@B...>

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 05:09:56 -0000

Did you say they should be smacked? :) :)

They caught hell on the redesigned on the 745Li, I thought they 
learned from that. I guess not. 

Yea, Chrysler is looking good but I have a problem with them. The 
resale is just terrible. The "M" series was over $30K now they are 
dirt cheap.

They have profited from MB's team. Now if they can lower the 
price point and bring the value accross they might have a winner.

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:17:37 -0700

Not impressed. Just like with the 745/760 i/Li, the spy photos were much
more exciting with the 6.

I heard - from a BMW-related source - that some faction within the factory
was quite pleased with the new 7 because it looked like an Audi. To which my
brain immediately seized rendering me comment-less.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:33:33 -0400

> brain immediately seized rendering me comment-less.

You said they deserve a double smack?  What are they kidding? Audi ?? VW's cousin?
Pleazzzzzzzeee .

I really like the 90-95 M5, 300 bph, drilled rotors, Bilstein shocks, I would take that over a M5 (E39)  they are hard
to find.  A Manager at Nextel had a nice M6 but would not sell.  Look at this mint M6
(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/karen_obrien/BMWM6.htm ) All the LCC guys had M3's (Ho-Hum). Hey remember
the L7? I have not seen one in years

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 07:24:39 -0400

But we're talking around $45K for a car that can beat the M5 series, as
proven on the track.and American made.  Where's my magnetic flag, anyways.

"Quite proud of it's creation, Cadillac invited us to the 'Ring to 
try out it's BMW beater to be."

"This chassis competence is critical because the CTS-V gains speed 
ferociously."

"Those figures make the V-series quicker than a BMW M3 or M5."

"...lapped the Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 19 seconds in the V - a 
better time than either M-car can turn."

I dunno if I'll be able to afford a new one this year, but this car is a
dream.

Another interesting feature on the new Caddy XLR - totally keyless entry and
start.  The remote (RKE) is held by the driver, and when in close proximity
of the car, can enter/unlock and has a "starter button".  Yep.  No place to
put a key.  I laughed, yeah, it's cool use of RFID devices, but they also
had a notorious time with key locks on the column; $350 repair, and they
ALWAYS broke.just like the Mercedes.

Todd

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] But how many radios can I install in it?

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17073678
02:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124dqs3gk/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo
?YH=3656190&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=996740998> 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Service.