Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Rural Wireless ISP Showcase rescheduled

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:51:08 -0400

UPDATE Rural Utilities Service of
Department of Agriculture
To Participate In FCC Rural
Wireless ISP Showcase
Event rescheduled for Thursday, September 18, 2003 Washington D.C. - The FCC today
(August 8, 2003) announced that the Rural Utilities Service of the U.S. Department
of Agriculture (http://www.usda.gov/rus/) will participate in the FCC Rural
Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) Showcase and Workshop in September and
will provide information on how rural WISPs can apply for a grant program for
start-up assistance. The FCC also said that the event will be held Thursday,
September 18, 2003, instead of September 17, 2003, as previously scheduled.  The
forum will begin at 9:30 AM and will be held in the meeting room at the FCC, 445
12th Street SW, Washington, D.C. Wireless ISPs have been sprouting up across rural
America providing high-speed Internet access using both licensed and unlicensed
spectrum.  Making use of grain silos, water towers, and pumping stations for tower
sites, WISPs are beginning to bring broadband service to previously unserved areas
and to provide new competition in rural areas that already have broadband
access. The Rural WISP Showcase will feature virtual tours of several WISPs,
discussions of technology, business plans, best practices, and lessons learned. In
addition, it will provide an opportunity for the Commission to learn what, if any,
regulatory barriers stand in the way of rural WISP deployment.  Presenters will be
service providers who are providing high-speed Internet service to their rural
customers and the emphasis will be on real world, practical questions and
solutions with the goal of encouraging and enabling new, innovative, and economic
approaches to providing rural broadband. For further information please contact
Robert Pepper, Chief, Policy Developmentemail: [email-masked]:
202-418-2030.
 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-237490A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Low on Ink? Get 80% off inkjet cartridges & Free Shipping at 77Colors.com.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon, Compaq and more!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5981
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DmnqpB/IyhGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/