Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Orange County Florida On 02-55

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:05:22 -0400

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATION DIVISION
Tom Sorley, Radio Services Supervisor
3511 Parkway Center Ct., Orlando, FL. 32808

(407) 521-4682Fax [email-masked]
(407) 836-2792 Office
Marlene H. Dortch
Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
RE:  Docket 02-55
Dear Ms. Dortch:

Orange County Public Safety Communications would like to express our support for
the
.Consensus Plan. filed by public safety organizations, private wireless
organizations, and Nextel, in the above-reference proceeding regarding
interference to 800 MHz public safety systems.

The Orange County 800 MHz radio system is a Motorola Smartzone, trunked radio
system.  There are eight (8) nodes on the Smartzone system.  The main node is the
Orange County twenty-eight (28) channel, eight (8)-site simulcast system.  The
other major node is the City of Orlando.s five (5) site, twenty-two (22) channel
simulcast system.  The other six (6) nodes are single site intelligent repeater
sites ranging from four (4) to ten (10) frequencies per site. There are just over
6,000 Orange County users on the system with approximately 16,000 active ID.s
system wide. The system supports 89 console positions located in seven (11)
different locations. The sheer number of active ID.s, number of frequencies, and
the number of user entities makes this one of the largest public safety Smartzone
radio systems in the country.

Managing such a large radio system in a rapidly growing urban area requires
constant monitoring of coverage as large buildings are being built in areas that
were cow pastures when the system was designed.  This daunting task is further
complicated by the fact that we are being interfered with on a daily basis.  The
worst part of this interference is that we do not know we are being interfered
with until a user complains. Since our users are public safety, first responders,
this is a dangerous situation.

We have reviewed the various proposals for addressing this interference problem
and
concluded that the consensus plan is the only one that truly solves the problem.
Although it will
require a large-scale reprogramming effort and reconfiguration for most systems,
the proactive
approach outlined in the consensus plan is the only one that solves the problem.
The .wait until
the problem surfaces. approach offered by other plans continues to jeopardize the
safety of first
responders.

Orange County strongly encourages the FCC to adopt the consensus plan and to do so

quickly.  With the current interference problems, it is only a matter time until a
first responder is
critically injured or killed because their radio failed to function when needed.
Respectfully submitted, Orange County Public Safety Communications

By:
Tom Sorley
Radio Services Supervisor
July 30, 2003

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6514288156

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/