Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Utilities Not Using Outage As Spectrum Card

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:49:07 EDT

Well then you'd LOVE the Washington Post article on Aug. 17, 2003, which 
listed the amount of money that utilities have spent on lobbying, and on campaign 
contributions.  $260,177,255 on lobbying 1999-2002, $40,136,178 campaign 
contributions 1999-2002.  The article breaks down how much by whom.

Alan T.

In a message dated 8/19/2003 7:50:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Oppppps... 
I meant Re-Election Coffers 
I don't want the SS guys here getting the wrong idea! They are VERY 
sensitive...... 
[email-masked] wrote: 
They are the Nextel of the power industry, Political Clout (they recently 
held a 
Bush fund raiser that added $600,000.00 to 
his relocation coffers.),

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:03:50 -0400

The telecom guys are not far behind- See my post from 8/7/03
Titled: Communications Antes Up In 2004 Presidential Race
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/10135

<SNIP>
"President Bush-political contributions. The
most significant group of donors to his re-election effort are law firms, most of
them with ties to the telecom industry. Law firms accounted for more than $2
million to the Bush campaign between May 1, when the President formally
launched his re-election bid, and June 30. Computer- and Internet-related
businesses donated $310,000 to the President, and the entertainment industry
gave him $263,000.

John Edwards, the former trial lawyer, also did quite well with the legal
profession.
Lawyers and law firms donated $6.2 million to his campaign. The entertainment
industry has given him $128,000.

And it goes on! and this just in the last 90 days!

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Well then you'd LOVE the Washington Post article on Aug. 17, 2003, which listed
> the amount of money that utilities have spent on lobbying, and on campaign
> contributions 1999-2002.  The article breaks down how much by whom. Alan T.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:09:16 -0400

I heard a client tell me why they were working on 02-55 with a well-known
communications law firm in Washington.  One of the partner's daughters had
worked on the Bush campaign in some way, and thus the partner had claimed
access to Mike Powell.  Look, my mom worked on the campaign too and was
about 100 feet from George W. when he was sworn in and a signed picture of
George H. giving my mom a big hug, but does that give me access to the
Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission?  I hope not!

It burned me up to hear why the client was hoping to have some magical
access to the Commission because of the braggadocio of an overpaid legal
firm partner.  Not hitting on attorneys, but this blatant claim took my
breath away.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 1:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Utilities Not Using Outage As Spectrum Card

<SNIP> 
"President Bush-political contributions. The 
most significant group of donors to his re-election effort are law firms,
most of 
them with ties to the telecom industry. Law firms accounted for more than $2

gave him $263,000. 

John Edwards, the former trial lawyer, also did quite well with the legal
profession. 
Lawyers and law firms donated $6.2 million to his campaign. The
entertainment 
industry has given him $128,000. 

 Well then you'd LOVE the Washington Post article on Aug. 17, 2003, which
listed the amount of money that utilities have spent on lobbying, and on
campaign contributions.  $260,177,255 on lobbying 1999-2002, $40,136,178
campaign contributions 1999-2002.  The article breaks down how much by whom.
Alan T.