Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC expects to finish 5 GHz unlicensed rules by end of year

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:42:13 -0400

FCC expects to finish 5 GHz unlicensed rules by end of year
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
August 08 13:17:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission committed on Thursday to complete
rules for unlicensed use of the 5 GHz band by the end of the year.

The commitment was included in a World Radiocommunication Conference
Implementation plan agreed to by the FCC and the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration.

The recently concluded WRC allocated spectrum in the 5 GHz band for unlicensed
operations. The WRC allocation is more than the United States is proposing, but
restrictions were put in place to encourage indoor use.

“I am pleased that only weeks after the end of the conference itself, we have
developed a plan to move forward expeditiously and bring the benefits of the
WRC-03 result to commercial and government-spectrum users,” said FCC Chairman
Michael Powell.

“The success of the U.S. delegation to the WRC has paved the way for new
allocations of additional spectrum around the world,” said Nancy Victory,
assistant Commerce secretary for telecommunications and information. “Implementing
the recommended changes will stimulate our economy and will help us maintain the
global leadership position the U.S. has established in telecommunications and
technology.”

Powell, Victory and senior staffs from both agencies met for a regularly scheduled
coordination meeting. It was Victory’s last such meeting since she will be
departing the agency Aug. 15.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14636

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/