Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hughes Network Systems Launches the Industry's First Satellite-based Wi-Fi Solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:18:52 -0400

Press Release

August 5, 2003

Hughes Network Systems  Launches the Industry's  First Satellite-based Wi-Fi
Solution

Wi-Fi Access will be provided
at leisure "hot spots" using
nationwide DIRECWAY® service

Germantown, Md., August 5, 2003

Hughes Network Systems (HNS), the world's leading provider of satellite broadband
solutions, which it markets under the DIRECWAY® brand, announced today that it is
offering a new Wi-Fi solution to leisure travelers for secure, easy-to-use,
wireless high-speed Internet access. Wi-Fi Access will initially be targeted at
the national RV park and resort market segment as a value-added service
opportunity by selected providers.

"HNS is addressing the increasing demand placed on RV park and resort owners to
provide Internet amenities and services that allow their customers to stay
connected through high-speed access. Wi-Fi Access, available through specialized
wireless service operators, provides RV park and resort owners with easy to
implement, value-added services that differentiate their locations from those of
others while building customer loyalty," said James Gandolfi, senior vice
president and general manager, HNS San Diego. "In addition, because our end-to-end
solution utilizes our nationwide DIRECWAY broadband satellite service, we're able
to provide pervasive coverage across the entire continental U.S., with several
tiers of service based on the preferences of each site and its customers."

Today, most RV travelers rely on a dial-up connection or dedicated modem found in
the common area of an RV park or resort for Internet access. Wi-Fi Access allows
RV travelers to connect directly to the Internet from the comfort and convenience
of their motor homes, using laptops or PDA's enabled with industry standard Wi-Fi®
capabilities.

Combining several HNS technologies, Wi-Fi Access offers a turn-key Wi-Fi hot spot
solution, including the ability for travelers to self-subscribe for the service at
participating RV parks and resorts. HNS has developed a robust, scalable back
office solution for service provisioning, customer management, and network
monitoring, which assures quality service and a satisfying user experience. The
complete system is supported by the HNS National Installation and Maintenance
Organization and Carrier Grade Network Operations Center.

For information on becoming a Wi-Fi Access provider, please call (888) HNS-WIFI /
(888) 467-9434 or email us at [email-masked].

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030805/dctu013_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/