Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel, NASCAR and Scanners- Watch Out Bearcat Fans!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:11:32 -0400

John Marcel wrote:

> NASCAR (& most racing now) uses predominantly UHF 450/460Mhz frequencies in Simplex mode. They utilize 1-2 radios in the cars and portables w/the crews. There are no repeaters I know of. A small number of crews use 800mhz.

Don't Forget Telemetry

>
>
>
> NexTel's probably won't work as said before because of the delay in transmissions and extensive frequency/repeater pairing required to handle "ALL" the functions required.

Don't  under estimate the a sneaky little @*&^%$. I'm sure they are working on a work around.

> 800Mhz trunking was tried a few years ago w/complete (and I mean 100%) failure. Simply put. Technology in voice communications is too advanced for the simple operation of simplex usage which is what's both easiest & most effective in race communications.
>
> John Marcel/K1FDD
> Concord, NH Fire Dispatch

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:19:39 -0400

One of the problems at Indy is radio range.  You would be surprised how high
up an unsupported pole can be erected for race weekend.  The problem is the
sheer size of the place; there's normally 450,000 people present during the
race in May, and it has a 4-hole golf course on the infield - as well as
half of the Formula 1 track.  Sometimes cars just don't make it back to the
pits and have to be relayed by spotters in the "Pagoda".  Maybe Nextel can
put a COW on rotor blades or hot air and hover over the track area??

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 7:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel, NASCAR and Scanners- Watch Out Bearcat Fans!

John Marcel wrote:

> NASCAR (& most racing now) uses predominantly UHF 450/460Mhz frequencies
in Simplex mode. They utilize 1-2 radios in the cars and portables w/the
crews. There are no repeaters I know of. A small number of crews use 800mhz.

Don't Forget Telemetry

>
>
>
> NexTel's probably won't work as said before because of the delay in
transmissions and extensive frequency/repeater pairing required to handle
"ALL" the functions required.

Don't  under estimate the a sneaky little @*&^%$. I'm sure they are working
on a work around.

> 800Mhz trunking was tried a few years ago w/complete (and I mean 100%)
failure. Simply put. Technology in voice communications is too advanced for
the simple operation of simplex usage which is what's both easiest & most
effective in race communications.

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:06:06 -0000

That combined with the antenna downtilt and ERP that NEXTEL runs its 
gonna give everyone a special kind of tan.

Mark

--- In [email-masked], "Todd Ellis" <tellis1@n...> wrote:
> From: Marcelrf@B... [mailto:Marcelrf@B...] 
> To: JMarcel66@A...