Subject: [mobile-ip] Win32 demo of Mobile IPv6 mobile node and correspondent node is available

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:36:24 -0700

ALL -

We've updated the Win32 port of our embedded systems' dual IP layer
(IPv4+IPv6) stack product to include support for Mobile IPv6 mobile node
and correspondent node, using Eager Cell Switching for mobile node
movement detection with a form of optimistic Duplicate Address Detection
for fast handovers (protocol latency < 50 milliseconds). This Win32
binary demo is available for download at the following URL:

http://www.elmic.com/TreckDemo-1.5.zip

All you need to run it is a MS-Windows PC, and also winpcap (we use
winpcap to directly access the Ethernet card, we bypass the Windows
stack). The readme.html file in TreckDemo-1.5.zip contains more
information, here is the excerpt about our Mobile IPv6 support in this
demo:

Both mobile node and correspondent node functionality are included in
this demo. The correspondent node functionality is enabled by default:
you can use the netstat tool to show active bindings by clicking the
"binding" button. The mobile node functionality is enabled by specifying
a home address in the "MN" field and then clicking the "Start" button to
the right of that field. The mobile node will then attempt to discover a
home agent for the specified home address, and if successful, then the
"HA" field will be filled in with the address of the home agent. Next,
the mobile node will try to register its home address with the home
agent. In this demo, we have not included any of our IPsec/IKE
functionality, although we have implemented full support for it in our
Mobile IPv6 product. So, when you use this demo to test Mobile IPv6, you
need to configure the home agent to allow the mobile node to register
without using IPsec/IKE. If the mobile node successfully registers its
home address, you will see the event "TM_6_MNBE_HA_REG_SUCCESS" logged.
Then, the mobile node will by default use its registered home address as
the source address of any communication it originates. This demo
application has the mobile node use Eager Cell Switching for movement
detection, which means that whenever the mobile node sees a Router
Advertisement from a new router, it assumes that a L3 handover has
occurred and will immediately switch to using that new router and update
its mobility bindings in the home agent and correspondent nodes with a
potentially new primary care-of address. Therefore, if you are testing
this demo's mobile node functionality with multiple IPv6 routers on a
link, this demo will execute frequent L3 handovers which will be
sub-optimal. Note that our APIs are very flexible, and allow you to use
other methods such as L2 triggers instead of Eager Cell Switching (by
default, Eager Cell Switching is disabled in our implementation and has
to be explicitly enabled by the user application, as it is in this demo
application).

Thanks.
- Ed Remmell
Elmic Systems USA, Inc.

Best of Show Winner, ESC 2003
Click on the link and take a look!
http://cmp.iconvention.com/escshowdaily/v33/index.cvn?ID=10183

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.497 / Virus Database: 296 - Release Date: 7/4/2003

---

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:54:12 -0700

Note that we updated the PKZIP file on our web site
http://www.elmic.com/TreckDemo-1.5.zip this morning to fix a couple of
very minor MN/CN issues (which you would probably never see), also to
fix a stability issue (the main reason for this email). So, if you are
using this demo application, please redownload it from the Elmic web
site. Also, I've noticed that with Windows XP Home Edition, sometimes
(not all the time - it appears to be dependent on what else is already
loaded into memory) it won't startup the very first time. This never
happens with Win 98 or Windows 2000, however. It is perplexing (I have
debugged it post-mortem, it gets an access violation somewhere in
MSVCRT.DLL), and it appears to be due to some interaction with winpcap
(since it always occurs when we make the call to winpcap to get the
Ethernet adapter's MAC address). Anyways, if it happens, no biggie, just
attempt to restart the demo application and it has always loaded and run
successfully for me the 2nd (and subsequent) times.

Thanks.
- Ed

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ed Remmell
> Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 2:36 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [mobile-ip] Win32 demo of Mobile IPv6 mobile node 
> and correspondent node is available
> 
> 
> ALL -
> 
> (IPv4+IPv6) stack product to include support for Mobile IPv6 
> mobile node and correspondent node, using Eager Cell 
> Switching for mobile node movement detection with a form of 
> optimistic Duplicate Address Detection for fast handovers 
> (protocol latency < 50 milliseconds). This Win32 binary demo 
> is available for download at the following URL:
> 
> All you need to run it is a MS-Windows PC, and also winpcap 
> (we use winpcap to directly access the Ethernet card, we 
> bypass the Windows stack). The readme.html file in 
> TreckDemo-1.5.zip contains more information, here is the 
> excerpt about our Mobile IPv6 support in this
> demo:
> 
> Both mobile node and correspondent node functionality are 
> included in this demo. The correspondent node functionality 
> is enabled by default: you can use the netstat tool to show 
> active bindings by clicking the "binding" button. The mobile 
> node functionality is enabled by specifying a home address in 
> the "MN" field and then clicking the "Start" button to the 
> right of that field. The mobile node will then attempt to 
> discover a home agent for the specified home address, and if 
> successful, then the "HA" field will be filled in with the 
> address of the home agent. Next, the mobile node will try to 
> register its home address with the home agent. In this demo, 
> we have not included any of our IPsec/IKE functionality, 
> although we have implemented full support for it in our 
> Mobile IPv6 product. So, when you use this demo to test 
> Mobile IPv6, you need to configure the home agent to allow 
> the mobile node to register without using IPsec/IKE. If the 
> mobile node successfully registers its home address, you will 
> see the event "TM_6_MNBE_HA_REG_SUCCESS" logged. Then, the 
> mobile node will by default use its registered home address 
> as the source address of any communication it originates. 
> This demo application has the mobile node use Eager Cell 
> Switching for movement detection, which means that whenever 
> the mobile node sees a Router Advertisement from a new 
> router, it assumes that a L3 handover has occurred and will 
> immediately switch to using that new router and update its 
> mobility bindings in the home agent and correspondent nodes 
> with a potentially new primary care-of address. Therefore, if 
> you are testing this demo's mobile node functionality with 
> multiple IPv6 routers on a link, this demo will execute 
> frequent L3 handovers which will be sub-optimal. Note that 
> our APIs are very flexible, and allow you to use other 
> methods such as L2 triggers instead of Eager Cell Switching 
> (by default, Eager Cell Switching is disabled in our 
> implementation and has to be explicitly enabled by the user 
> application, as it is in this demo application).
> 
> Thanks.
> - Ed Remmell
> Elmic Systems USA, Inc.
> 
> http://cmp.iconvention.com/escshowdaily/v33/in> dex.cvn?ID=10183
>  
> 
> ---
> Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.512 / Virus Database: 309 - Release Date: 8/19/2003