Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Blackout Hits Parts of Eastern U.S., Canada

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:58:53 -0400

We interupt the "Concensus" chatter-

===============================================
Blackout Hits Parts of Eastern U.S., Canada

Time: 1 minute ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A massive power outage swept across swaths of
the eastern United States and Canada on Thursday, leaving sections of New
York City, Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto without electricity, witnesses said.

Subways in New York came to a complete halt, and power was out at all
three of the New York area's major airports. Commuter train service also
came to a halt, and cellular telephone service was disrupted.

CNN reported a fire at a Con Edison power plant in Manhattan.

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Forked River, New Jersey was not
functioning, according to people familiar with the plant's operation.

A spokesman for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said they did
not know the reason for the power outages, but said the department was
looking into it.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Richard E. Willimon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:44:50 -0400

anyone know if nextel has experienced any interruptions in service? wonder
if this affected the public safety sector they have been courting?

R.Willimon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 4:59 PM
To: [email-masked]; WFHSG
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Blackout Hits Parts of Eastern U.S., Canada

Time: 1 minute ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A massive power outage swept across swaths of
the eastern United States and Canada on Thursday, leaving sections of New
York City, Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto without electricity, witnesses
said.