Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Metropolitan Radio Board Allows Public Access To Digital Trunk Radio System (Rec Only)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 06:21:53 -0400

Metropolitan Radio Board
Minneapolis, MN

We are a 17-member board, authorized by the Minnesota Legislature to plan,
construct, set
 policy for and oversee operation of a region-wide 800 MHz digital trunked public
safety radio
 system that meets the public safety needs of government and emergency medical
services
 agencies operating in the area

http://www.metroradioboard.org/

===============================================================================

5.0 Media Access 1 Section #
800 MHz Trunked Regional Public Safety Radio System
Standards, Protocols, Procedures
Document Section: 5.0 TOC Approval – Signature:
Sub-Section:
Procedure Title: Media Access
Date Established: 10-30-2001
Replaces Document Dated: MRB Approval - Signature:
Date Revised: 3-26-2002 04/05/02

1. Purpose or Objective

To establish a policy that will provide for news media and others to access
certain voice
communications over the regional 800MHz trunked digital public safety radio
system, until such
time scanners that are compatible with this radio system are available. The
communications that are
available for access shall be similar to those currently available via
conventional scanning methods.

2. Technical Background:

  Capabilities

The 800MHz trunked digital public safety radio system is expected to be
operational in 2002. The
system will provide enhanced communication and interoperability using
state-of-the-art technology
for public safety users such as police, fire, EMS, and public works agencies.

Constraints

Existing conventional scanners are not compatible with the 800 MHz trunked digital
radio system.
Some manufacturers are in the process of developing scanners that will work with
the system,
however they most likely will not be on the market before the first users populate
the 800 MHz
system.

Under the provisions of Standard 2.1b, talk groups are the property of the primary
agency that uses
them. Those agencies shall control access to those talk groups. Talk groups
MINSEF, ATAC 1-4,
PTAC 1-4, METTAC–A, METTAC–P, FIRE, MIMS, ITAC, ICALL, METEMRG, and
EMS/HEAR, which are used for interoperability between and among agencies, are
under the
purview of the Metropolitan Radio Board, who shall control access to those talk
groups. Fleetmaps
are also the property of the primary agency, who may release all, part, or none of
the fleetmap at
their discretion. The Metropolitan Radio Board shall control access to fleetmaps
used for the

5.0 Media Access 2 Section #

following interoperability channels: MINSEF, ATAC 1-4, PTAC 1-4, METTAC–A,
METTAC–P,
FIRE, MIMS, ITAC, ICALL, METEMRG, EMS/HEAR.
Users of scanning radios and other scanning equipment shall comply with all
Federal and Minnesota
Statutes and Rules regarding the use of scanning equipment.

3. Operational Context:

Members of the public and media who currently monitor public safety communications
can continue
to monitor the communications of agencies who move to the 800MHz trunked digital
system using a
radio programmed to scan selected talk groups in a receive-only mode.

4. Recommended Protocol/ Standard:

Those wishing to monitor communications may purchase a radio or radios that is/are
compatible
with the 800MHz trunked digital system. The radio(s) shall only be programmed by
programming staff authorized by the Metropolitan Radio Board. Before the radio(s)
is/are
programmed, users must complete a signed agreement to abide by standards regarding
use of the
equipment, determined by the Metropolitan Radio Board, including that the radio(s)
will be used
only for receiving communications and will not be reprogrammed except by
programmers
authorized by the Metropolitan Radio Board for this purpose. Violation of the
agreement shall
result in the user’s radio(s) being removed from the system.

5. Recommended Procedure:

Each agency using the 800 MHz trunked digital radio system shall submit to the
Metropolitan Radio
Board a list of the talk groups that shall be open for monitoring.

Persons or organizations wishing to operate a subscriber unit on the radio system
for purposes of
monitoring communications on the 800MHz trunked digital radio system shall
complete an
agreement with the Metropolitan Radio Board. The agreement shall include terms and
conditions
for the use of radios on the system, requirement of compliance with state and
federal law, and a list
of the talk groups to be monitored. These talk groups shall be among those that
owner agencies
have indicated may be monitored. Users may then purchase a radio or radios to be
used for scanning
purposes only. Violation of the agreement shall result in the user’s radio being
removed from the
system.

In the event that there is a dispute between an agency and an entity wishing to
monitor
communications as to which talk groups should be made available, either party may
request that the
Metropolitan Radio Board issue an advisory opinion on the dispute. The agency
owning the talk
groups shall maintain final authority regardless of the opinion of the Radio
Board.

5.0 Media Access 3 Section #

The purchase cost of radio equipment for monitoring is the responsibility of the
user. There will be
no fee charged for access to the system, however, users may be responsible for the
actual costs
associated with programming the radio to operate on the system. The Metropolitan
Radio Board
shall designate an entity or entities to perform the programming. The talk groups
programmed shall
be limited to those specified in the user agreement.

Radios will be programmed only with talk groups that have been authorized or
released for
monitoring by the respective agencies owning those talk groups. The talk groups
available will be
similar to dispatch channels currently available via conventional scanning. A talk
group used solely
for communications to the news media may be created.

6. Management

The staff of the Metropolitan Radio Board shall manage the agreement process and
maintain a list of
users of radios for scanning purposes and talk groups monitored. The Metropolitan
Radio Board
shall designate entities authorized to program radios. Billing users for the cost
of programming shall
be the responsibility of the programming entity. This policy shall be reviewed for
possible revision
or cancellation within two years of its adoption date.

http://www.metroradioboard.org/standards12-2002/5-0.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG