Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Live traffic videos coming to your mobile

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:40:10 -0400

Live traffic videos coming to your mobile

By CNET News.com Staff
August 8, 2003, 7:57 AM PT

Taiwan's Asia Pacific Broadband Wireless Communications (APBWA) on Friday launched

video-streaming service that allows customers to view real-time pictures of
traffic movement on
their handsets. APBWA has set up an initial network of 42 cameras at congested
areas in
Taiwan that will enable subscribers to watch real-time traffic videos on their
mobile phones,
using CDMA (code division multiple access) technology, the company said. Several
Asian
wireless carriers are introducing video services on their networks. But so far,
wireless
multimedia applications have been used primarily for entertainment.

"APBW is taking wireless video to a new level by addressing real customer needs,
such as
traffic monitoring," Dale Park, president of Thin Multimedia, a software company
based in
San Jose, Calif., said. In addition to traffic monitoring, the Taiwan company is
offering
services such as multiple categories of video-on-demand, video match-making and
video
mail.

http://news.com.com/2110-1039_3-5061530.html?tag=cdshrt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/