Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pacific Mobile Emergency Radio System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:50:32 -0400

Pacific Mobile Emergency Radio System

Effective emergency communications is a key element in reducing the loss of life
in any crisis or incident. Department of Defense emergency services, and other
Federal and State agencies involved in public safety, are expected to initiate a
coordinated response, which utilizes resources in the most effective manner. In
order to accomplish this they must have access to a system that gives them the
ability to communicate quickly clearly and seamlessly. PACMERS is a program
initiative, directed by the United States Commander in Chief, Pacific (USCINCPAC),
which establishes a Land Mobile Radio (LMR) system in Hawaii and Alaska. The
systems being planned for installation in Hawaii and Alaska will allow emergency
medical service providers, fire and police to communicate through truly
interoperable radios.

The Pacific Mobile Emergency Radio System (PACMERS) will improve the capacity of
emergency first responders and decision-makers to communicate by building a fully
integrated interoperable radio system that meets the National Telecommunications
Information Agency (NTIA) mandate for narrow banding federal agencies. PACMERS
will also provide an APCO 25 compliant solution for migrating federal, state and
local government agencies.

The PACMERS program is vital to all federal, state and local agencies. In a number
of accidents and disasters -- including the recent Black Hawk helicopter crash in
Hawaii -- emergency personnel in Alaska and Hawaii will need enhanced
interoperable communications, in order to provide a rapid response. PACMERS is a
system borne out of a requirement to save lives.

PACMERS has two critical advantages:

The new radio-trunked system, coupled with interface options to the Emergency 911
system, is based on broadly accepted set of technical standards, known as the
"APCO Project 25 standards." The APCO --

Association of Public Safety Communications Officials International -- developed
the APCO Project 25 standards over many years in cooperation with federal, state
and local agencies precisely for the purpose of facilitating inter-operable
emergency communications.

The new systems are being installed by a sophisticated systems integrator, which
will provide the government with the most efficient and technologically advanced
solutions in the coming years, as the program progresses. This company is
Information Systems Support, Inc. (ISS) (http://www.iss-md.com), an information
technology solutions provider that has served the commercial and federal
technology markets for over a decade. ISS is an emerging 8(a) (small
disadvantaged) business that has grown to nearly $100 million in sales, largely in
the federal government. ISS has fielded a program team with members who posses
over 50 years of combined experience in managing telecommunications systems as
well as operational experience in aero medical evacuation and communications
support to contingency operations.

This publicly accessible Website is dedicated to the management and administration
of PACMERS and can be utilized by the interested public for background information
on how DoD and its commercial partners are enhancing public safety through
technology.

The intended purpose of the "registered users" portion of this website is to
provide participating DoD and non-DoD agencies a conduit for obtaining more
detailed information on the system, program goals, product information, procuring
subscriber equipment and tracking outstanding orders.

http://www.pacmers.com/about.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/