Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon pulls a switch on subscribers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:24:04 -0400

A friend of mine here in Durham, NC just called me.

His wife has had a Verizon phone for many years. All Verizon wireless numbers have always been sold here as "Triangle wide local" numbers.

He has received a letter in the mail saying that now his wife's number will be considered a Raleigh number and callers in Durham will have to place a long distance call to reach her.

The NC PUC didn't even seem to be aware of this when he called them.

Verizon says to keep calls from Durham local to her phone which was bought in Durham, she will have to change numbers.

This is a good example of awful customer relations.

Rik Rasmussen

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://mail2web.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:48:48 -0700

Rik,

Sorry but I don't see this as poor customer relations.

Everyone will have to get used to 10 digit dialing as cellular number
portability begins coming on line. 

Some areas already have to dial 10 digit numbers to call next door even
on wired telephones.

Area codes are eventually going to be obsolete. And later we'll have 12
digit dialing as we run out of numbers for all our toys.

If we had adopted binary numbers (0-9 and a-f) we wouldn't need as many
digits in a cellphone number.

Too bad we don't have 16 toes and fingers, but maybe God didn't think we
would be stupid enough to count our thumbs and big toes too. Nothing in
nature is based on decades, just binary. (big grin)

============================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
> His wife has had a Verizon phone for many years. All Verizon wireless
> numbers have always been sold here as "Triangle wide local" numbers.
> 
> He has received a letter in the mail saying that now his wife's number
> will be considered a Raleigh number and callers in Durham will have to
> place a long distance call to reach her.
> 
> Verizon says to keep calls from Durham local to her phone which was
> bought in Durham, she will have to change numbers.
>