Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Google reveals high-profile users of data search machine

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:00:04 -0400

Aug. 12, 2003, 9:50PM
Google reveals high-profile users of data search machine

Reuters News Service
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Google, the No. 1 Web search company in the United States,
Tuesday identified numerous users of its machine that helps companies search their
own data in corporate networks and Web sites.

The company, seen by many in financial circles as an ideal candidate for an
initial public offering, said pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, the Army and the city
of San Diego are among the new paying users of Google's enterprise search
appliance, which is a hardware and software product.

Other customers include Xerox, Hitachi Data Systems, Nextel Communications,
Procter & Gamble, Discovery Communications, PBS.org, Cisco Systems and Boeing.
Privately held Google, based in Mountain View, Calif., launched the machine early
last year and had provided little information on customers or sales.

The company's long-awaited announcement of several high-profile search appliance
users "is public confirmation that they are in fact committed to the (enterprise)
space," said Jupiter Research analyst Matthew Berk.

On Tuesday, Google said hundreds of customers are using the machine. It also said
a growing customer base contributed to a 200 percent increase in sales of its
enterprise search appliance over the last year.

Google does not release revenue figures, but published reports have put the
company's revenues at $750 million to $1 billion this year.

Companies use the corporate search machine to find answers to customer questions
and to locate brochures and information needed to make sales, Google said.
While Google is best known for its Web search technology, industry sources said
the company reaps most of its revenues from search-related advertising services.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2044945

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/