Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Syracuse cops go wireless

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:03:46 -0400

Syracuse cops go wireless
BY Dibya Sarkar
Aug. 26, 2003

The Syracuse, N.Y., Police Department is moving toward a wireless infrastructure
so officers and civilian employees have easier and quicker access to information.

Syracuse police began upgrading their laptops with wireless access cards and
installed access points in certain areas. The department is testing wireless thin
clients and planning to provide better wireless access for officers in patrol
cruisers.
Patrick Phelps, the department's information technology specialist, said so far
the investigations and records divisions are benefiting from the upgrades, which
began about a year ago. The department drifted toward a wireless infrastructure,
in part, because rewiring the building was expensive and labor-intensive,
especially because employees are constantly moving from one area to another,
Phelps said.

Wireless technology also makes investigators more efficient, he said. Previously,
investigators would interview witnesses in one room, walk to another to type their
statements, print them out and then review them with witnesses to ensure accuracy.
If the statements weren't correct, the investigators had to retype statements
before the witnesses could sign it. Now investigators take a laptop into the
interview room to type statements or access other information, saving time and
effort, Phelps said.
The department also received help from the National Law Enforcement and
Corrections Technology Center (NLECTC-Northeast), based in nearby Rome, N.Y. The
center, one of several Justice Department research groups that commercialize
military technology, extensively tested and recommended Florida-based Fortress
Technologies Inc.'s AirFortress devices to ensure secure and encrypted
transmission of sensitive data, Phelps said. The department uses AirFortress on
top of the Wireless Application Protocol, an industry standard for secure wireless
access.

At the police department's request, Fortress Technologies also teamed up with
TeleVideo Inc., based in San Jose, Calif., to develop a wireless thin client to
enhance data access in the department's common areas. Phelps said he would test it
in the next several weeks.

The city's long-term goal is to deploy high-bandwidth hot spots near its main
station and substations so officers can better access the department's intranet
for daily bulletins and other information. Phelps said this system would also help
the department move toward a paperless reporting system. The department is in the
midst of establishing two test areas.
Deploying the system around the city and upgrading the 100 computer-equipped
patrol cars will be expensive, Phelps said. The department will look for federal
grants to help install the system.

The police department has 486 officers and 88 civilian employees serving a
population of 164,000 in a 62-square-mile area.

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/0825/web-syr-08-26-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/