Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Padcom Looks At First Responders' Radio Interoperability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 03:02:28 -0400

Padcom Looks At First Responders' Radio Interoperability

Aug 11, 2003

The Fremont, Calif., Police Department's dilemma over losing its CDPD
service may not be the toughest among the many public safety radio
interoperability problems across the United States, but its solution could
play a key role in solving some of the issues. Wireless data-routing
technology developer Padcom is helping the Fremont police with their CDPD
dilemma with a solution that could also help first responders across the
country exchange data wirelessly with each other without widespread
replacement of mobile devices and without mass movements to different
frequencies.

In addition to enabling seamless data service roaming between wireless local
and wide-area networks, Padcom says its TotalRoam technology can facilitate
wireless data interoperability between multiple agencies using different
networks.

http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/feature.htm

Padcom Introduces CDPD Transition Program for Customers Upgrading to GPRS
and CDMA Networks

Padcom's TotalRoam® Connect solution facilitates the phase out of CDPD
networks by establishing a seamless transition between wireless networks

Bethlehem, PA, August 6, 2003 - Padcom, Inc., a leading provider of mobile
virtual network (MVN) solutions for enterprises, today announced the
introduction of its CDPD Transition Program, enabling customers to
seamlessly move from a Cellular Digital Packet Data (CDPD) network to
alternate networks such as Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) 1xRTT,
General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), as well as private networks. With all
CDPD networks scheduled for phase-out, Padcom has created the CDPD
Transition Program to ease customer transition to new networks.

"The migration from CDPD is an important issue for many agencies," said Iain
Gillott, principal and founder, iGillottResearch, Inc. "Users and
administrators should look for software providers that foresee technological
advances in wireless communications and stay ahead of the pack to answer
industry demands before they arise. By addressing key issues in wireless
data communications such as security, seamless roaming and network
prioritization, Padcom can help agencies anticipate and meet tomorrow's
needs."

The CDPD Transition Program enables enterprises to more efficiently manage
the change in network infrastructures. Padcom's TotalRoam® Connect can be
implemented seamlessly into existing communication systems, allowing
enterprises to implement new network technologies without incurring a
variety of costs typically attributed to a network transition. The CDPD
Transition Program offers entry-level pricing to meet specific static IP
addressing and security needs while creating a platform that can grow with
an enterprise's need.

Enterprises moving to faster networks will have to address issues such as
how new networks will impact the applications and devices they currently
use, as well as how users will access these networks remotely. TotalRoam®
Connect addresses these issues by enabling customers to transparently manage
end-to-end wireless data communication, security and static IP addressing.
The software, which serves as the core for Padcom's CDPD Transition Program,
provides a single virtual private network (VPN) solution that provides
advanced encryption plus static IP addresses for Dynamic IP addressing
networks and Protocol Conversion for non-IP networks.

"The change in network infrastructures raises a number of questions for
enterprises that are using or evaluating the use of wireless data," said
Mark Ferguson, director of marketing at Padcom Inc. "The architecture of the
TotalRoam® platform allows enterprises to install the level of functionality
that meets their specific need while providing easy integration of
additional features as needs evolve. This approach to wireless data
management lets enterprises address their specific needs without forcing
them to purchase and install more functionality than they require. The
transparent architecture of TotalRoam® helps enterprises achieve a high
level of flexibility and control over their wireless data solution."

About TotalRoam®
TotalRoam® Connect is the entry-level product within the TotalRoam® suite of
products which include TotalRoam® Mobile Virtual Network (MVN) and
TotalRoam® Mobile Connectivity Suite (MCS). The three product levels bring
increasingly sophisticated wireless data management functionality to
enterprises. TotalRoam® Connect maintains static IP addressing while
TotalRoam® MVN provides seamless roaming between dissimilar wireless
networks. TotalRoam® MCS helps clients manage all aspects of wireless data
communication from security to the integration of multiple infrastructures
to the control over individual applications. TotalRoam® specifically enables
roaming by creating a mobile virtual network capable of supporting any
combination of RF, CDPD, GRPS and iDEN networks as well as CDMA 1xRTT and
802.11 hotspots. The MVN created by TotalRoam® MCS enables customers to
improve coverage and capacity for enterprises, enabling mobile workers to
focus on their job rather than worrying about when and how they should be
connected.

About Padcom
Padcom is a leading Mobile Virtual Network (MVN) provider for enterprises,
enabling wireless applications to work seamlessly across multiple networks.
Padcom's MVN enables clients to obtain a variety of functionality including
roaming between dissimilar networks, non-IP as well as IP, providing static
IP addressing for dynamic IP addressing networks and providing
administrative control over mobile devices and applications. TotalRoam® MCS
software helps clients overcome the shortcomings of wireless data
communication by bridging the gap between wireline and wireless data
communication, simplifying information flow and providing greater control
for IT departments.

http://www.padcomusa.com/releases/cdpd-trans.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/