Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VISTA CONTROLS REQUEST FOR A WAIVER OF PART 15 FOR AN ULTRA-WIDEBAND SYSTEM

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:28:18 -0400

PUBLIC NOTICE
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
1919 M STREET, N.W.
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20554 DA 03-2631

News media information 202/418-0500     Fax-On-Demand  202/418-2830     Internet:
http://www.fcc.gov    ftp.fcc.gov

 Released: August 11, 2003

 OFFICE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY DECLARES VISTA CONTROLS
REQUEST FOR A WAIVER OF PART 15 FOR AN ULTRA-WIDEBAND SYSTEM TO BE A
"PERMIT-BUT-DISCLOSE" PROCEEDING FOR EX PARTE PURPOSES

 On July 18, 2003, Vista Controls, a Curtiss-Wright Company, filed a request for
waiver of Sections 15.209, 15.511 and 15.521 of the Commission’s rules in order to
permit the authorization, importation and operation of its ultra-wideband (“UWB”)
surveillance system known as QUPID.

 The QUPID surveillance systems currently are employed by the U.S. Air Force and
by the Air National Guard to provide an advance warning of a potential intruder to
their sites.  The QUPID system operates around 2.3 GHz with a low, dithered pulse
repetition frequency.  Vista Controls seeks a waiver to operate at an average EIRP
emission level of -10 dBm/MHz and at a peak level of 40 dBm/50 MHz, indicating
that these levels are necessary to detect low cross section targets.  It states
that its system has been operating without interference to any aircraft, Global
Positioning System (“GPS”), cellular or other systems in the areas where QUPID
systems are currently deployed.  Vista Controls also seeks a waiver of Section
15.511(b) to permit its QUPID system to be operated at non-military sites
including nuclear and conventional power plants, airfield perimeters, petroleum
fields and processing facilities, reservoirs, and other sensitive resources.

 The Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) is reviewing the request and seeks
comments from interested parties.  OET has concluded that in order to develop a
complete record on the complex issues presented by this request, this proceeding
will be treated, for ex parte purposes, as a "permit-but-disclose" proceeding, in
accordance with Section 1.1200(a) of the Commission's rules, and is subject to the
requirements under Section 1.1206(b) of the rules.

 Interested parties filing comments on this petition are invited to do so no later
than September 10, 2003.  Parties filing replies may do so by September 25, 2003.

 The full text of the waiver request is available for inspection and copying
during normal business hours in Room CY-A257, 445 12th Street, SW, Washington,
D.C., and may also be purchased from the Commission's duplication contractor,
Qualex International, (202) 863-2893.

By the Chief, Office of Engineering and Technology
Office of Engineering and Technology contact:  John A. Reed at (202) 418-2455.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Low on Ink? Get 80% off inkjet cartridges & Free Shipping at 77Colors.com.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon, Compaq and more!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5981
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DmnqpB/IyhGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/