Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Environmentalists Angry Over Bird Inquiry

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:50:41 -0400

Environmentalists Angry Over Bird Inquiry
BY MARK ROCKWELL
AUGUST 20, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC took the next step today in determining what action it could
take to help wireless communications towers and migratory birds co-exist, but
environmentalists called the move a "stalling tactic" and threatened to file
additional lawsuits.

The commission issued a long-awaited formal Notice of Inquiry into complaints and
lawsuits from environmental groups that contend thousands of migrating birds are
dying each year in collisions with wireless communications towers. Groups like
Friends of the Earth and the Nature Conservancy have asked the FCC to suspend all
construction permits for wireless communications companies' towers along the Gulf
Coast and asked that existing structures be shut down for further environmental
investigation.
FCC Chairman Michael Powell said last May that the migratory bird/wireless
communications tower issue was one that needed to be addressed with hard facts.
Today's NOI asks for basic information from industry and concerned parties;
primarily detailed, hard evidence that such structures kill migrating
birds--including which structures may be more prone to collisions--and whether
weather conditions contribute to the collisions.

The agency also asks for information concerning ongoing research efforts into the
issue and comments from industry on what might minimize the adverse impact the
towers may have on the birds. A 90-day comment cycle was established.

PCIA reacted favorably to the NOI. "The NOI is consistent with our position that
called for a better understanding" of the relationship between avian mortality and
wireless towers, said Julie Koons, vice president of PCIA. She said more research
into the causes of avian mortality and wireless towers should affect any
additional FCC rules. She added, however, that the FCC's research should be pushed
beyond wireless towers to include other tall structures such as buildings.

Environmentalists, however, said the NOI did not address their concerns. "The
notice doesn't meet the National Environmental Protection Act, nor the Endangered
Species Act," says Norman Dean, executive director of the Friends of the Earth.
Dean said the FCC's NOI was a "stalling tactic" in dealing with the issue.
"Endangered species are dying. The Endangered Species Act requires immediate
consultation," he said. "Although we will file comments, we're also looking at our
legal options in response" to the NOI, he added.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=08/20/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/