Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Public HotSpot: Union Square

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:32:53 -0400

WIRED MAGAZINE BRINGS FREE WIRELESS COMPUTER ACCESS
TO NYC’S UNION SQUARE PARK

Creates Wi-Fi ‘Hot Spot’ in Cooperation with Emenity
and Union Square Business Improvement District

NEW YORK, Aug. 13, 2003 – WIRED magazine has brought free wireless 
computer access to New York City’s popular Union Square Park by 
establishing a Wi-Fi “hot spot.”  This service enables park visitors to 
connect to the Internet wirelessly and without cost through 
Wi-Fi-enabled notebook computers or personal digital assistants (PDAs).

Working in cooperation with Emenity, Inc. – a leading provider of 
wireless access points – and the Union Square Business Improvement 
District, WIRED developed the network to make the service available to 
the public within one of the city’s most vibrant and highly trafficked 
parks and transportation hubs.  It is expected that Union Square Park’s 
free-access system will be by far the most popular among the city’s 
urban spaces.

WIRED magazine has been a leader in covering the Wi-Fi technology since 
its inception, making sponsorship of free access in Union Square Park a 
natural fit.  The park’s “unwiring,” accomplished with approval of the 
city’s Department of Parks and Recreation, follows the magazine’s 
in-depth, 64-page editorial exploration of Wi-Fi technology, titled 
UNWired, that was published in conjunction with the May 2003 issue.

Wi-Fi technology allows people to obtain high-speed, roaming Internet 
connections without wires.  The technology makes sense in an 
increasingly decentralized workplace and highly mobile world, enabling 
business travelers, sales professionals, students, tourists and the 
general public to log on to the Internet without having to find network 
plug-ins or other connected access points.  In the case of an open 
access “hot spot” – such as Union Square – the service is provided free 
of charge to the end user.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/