Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Warns FCC To 'Not Be Fooled'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:21:06 -0400

Verizon Warns FCC To 'Not Be Fooled'
BY MARK ROCKWELL
AUGUST 14, 2003
NEWS@2 DIRECT

WASHINGTON -- Verizon Wireless blasted efforts by competitors today at the FCC
over what it called "anti-competitive" and "anti-consumer" efforts to delay local
number portability.

The company told the FCC "not to be fooled" by efforts by Alltel, AT&T Wireless,
Cingular, Nextel Communications and Sprint to create one-time porting fees,
restrict the times for porting telephone numbers, require customer termination
fees and demand payment of outstanding balances before releasing the customer's
numbers. The companies had filed joint comments with the FCC at the beginning of
August as the Wireless Communications Group, noting those porting limits could be
imposed if the Nov. 24 LNP implementation deadline remains. Those carriers said,
according to Verizon, porting restrictions could benefit consumers.

Since breaking with the majority of wireless carriers opposing LNP implementation
earlier this summer, Verizon has advocated that no special fees be placed on
consumers moving to another wireless carrier and taking their numbers with them.
"Now, on the verge of achieving wireless LNP, the commission faces a direct
challenge to it that, if not quickly and firmly rejected, will gut the
effectiveness of the mandate," said the filing.  The carriers' efforts "make it
clear that they will slow or block a customer's desire to change carriers and keep
the same numbers until the customer 'settles up' his account."
The company asked that the commission act by Sept. 1 to make it clear to wireless
service providers they cannot erect new barriers and 'hold their customers
hostage,' said the company.

Verizon broke from the majority of wireless carriers earlier this summer by saying
that it is moving decisively to implement LNP technology in its network, while
other large carriers have waged a behind-the-scenes battle to get a fifth delay in
the LNP deadline. Verizon has advocated that no special fees be placed on
consumers moving to another wireless carrier and taking their numbers with them.
Analysts have said Verizon Wireless stands to be one of the carriers that will
most benefit from LNP.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=124620&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/