Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VNP???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:20:49 -0400

bfay@s... wrote:

> However, as technologies for the public internet continue to evolve,
> legitimate business and industry groups find ways to employ the technology and
> also create overlay or physically (at least electronically) isolated networks
> dedicated to and optimized for their industry. To get what they need, they are
> willing to pay more. (VPN, IntraNets etc).

I certainly agree that John makes some excellent points in his
discuss. However, I do believe that we need to explore the highlighted passage. It

seems to me that in some cases users are paying more and not really getting what
they need.

Many industries really operate best in a one-to-many or group
environment rather than a one-to-one or Direct Connect (tm) environment yet have
been
maneuvered into the later in an attempt to control there communication costs
while paying far more than they did previously.

Though I am against over-regulation of any commodity, particularly
spectrum, as a systems engineer, I have always found that the best results are
achieved when systems evolve from the perspective of true enduser need rather
than some extremely loose interpretation of those needs.

It is possible to force a square peg into a round hole or vice versa
but I do not subscribe to the belief that this is an appropriate address. To do
so would be as ludicrous as the frequently heard assertion that public-safety
communications can and should be run on commercial systems. If there are
cases in which this could be done, I'm sure we'd all agree that they would be the
exception rather than the rule.

John points out that much of the technology we benefit from today came
out of experimentation and outright trial and error. This fact supports the
need for spectrum in which the technologies of tomorrow may be incubated,
defined and optimized.

He also points out that different industries have varying needs and
correctly implies that they may have willingness to pay for the attributes they
each perceive to be essential to meeting their needs. Due to differences in
infrastructure configuration and deployment I don't believe we currently have
the ability to field a one size fits all network that is capable of true
scalability from all perspectives including user cost.

Yes, it is true that you can do one-to-many group calling on Nextel's
system however, it is just as true that Nextel would prefer that you didn't
and achieves that preference through its pricing structure. One can argue that
they are legitimately providing all the communication paths they are charging
for however, under a different infrastructure configuration and deployment far
fewer communication network resources would be required thereby resulting in a
significantly lower cost.

My point is this, producing thousands of one size fits all hats
results in a much lower cost of goods sold and thus a more competitive user
pricing
structure. Producing a single, one size fits all, may result in a more
marketable platform but it does not necessarily result in a lower cost of goods
sold
or a more competitive user pricing structure.

I believe that both the government and our industry must do a better
job defining and addressing the true needs of the enduser and then provide both
the spectrum and technology required to address them ... then again, I could
be wrong.

Bob Fay, Systems Engineer
"http://www.smrlink.com/" SmartLink Radio Networks
Mail to: [email-masked]...

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/