Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NTL deploys life-saving radio system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:25:55 -0400

NTL deploys life-saving radio system 

August 27 2003 

By Anthony Quinn

For the first time, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution's 224 lifeboat
stations in the UK and Ireland will have their own fully integrated mobile radio
system.  
 
The new technology will reduce crew call-out time and will also give crews that
ability to remotely control lifeboat station facilities. It will also provide
automatic integrity checks on paging, detailed information for lifeboat crews on
vessels in distress and multi-way access to paging system via telephone, portable
mobile radio (PMR) or data (PC). 

The unified system will replace a variety of differing systems that RNLI currently
uses and it add important new facilities that will help save more lives, RNLI
said. 

It was designed and built by NTL's Public Safety Group to specific requirements of the RNLI. The contract includes service
support for a 10-year period, and the entire network of installations will be
provided with 24-hour monitoring and daily testing by NTL's national service
centre at Emley Moor in Yorkshire. The value of the deal was not disclosed. 

"Our service is dependent on our volunteer crew members, and it is therefore vital
that they have complete confidence in any system we use," commented Michael
Vlasto, chief of operations for the RNLI. 

The National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck, later called
the RNLI, was founded by Sir William Hillary more than 175 years ago. Its
volunteer-crewed lifeboats have saved over 136,275 lives. Thirty-nine of the 231
lifeboat stations are in Ireland, and provide a 24-hour service covering search
and rescue requirements to 50 miles out from the coast of the United Kingdom and
the Republic of Ireland. 

http://www.rnli.org.uk/Home.asp

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9373064

http://www.ntl.com/locales/gb/en/broadcast/wireless-solutions/default.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/