Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push to Talk

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:26:24 -0400

FAQ Main

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

     Home | Search | Store Locator | Contact Us

      You are shopping in
      Durham, NC 27704
      Change Zip Code  Frequently Asked Questions
      Answers to FAQs
   Back to Main FAQs

            Push to Talk
            General Information

              1.. What is Push to Talk?
              2.. Which handsets are Push to Talk enabled?
              3.. Will Push to Talk work nationwide?
              4.. How do I set up my Push to Talk Individual and Group
contact lists?
              5.. What happens when I receive a regular voice call while
using Push to Talk?
              6.. What happens when I receive a Push to Talk call while on a
regular voice call?
              7.. Will I be able to set up "Groups"?
              8.. How many individuals can be included in a "Group"?
              9.. How many "Groups" can I establish?
              10.. How many Individual Contacts can I establish?
              11.. Will I be charged airtime for my Push to Talk calls?
              12.. Will my regular voice calls be interrupted when I receive
a Push to Talk alert?
              13.. If I call someone who is not in my contact list, how many
digits of the mobile telephone number do I enter to make a successful Push
to Talk call?
              14.. Do I need to have a special Push to Talk phone number?
              15.. What is an Alert Call?
              16.. What is a Barge Call?
              17.. What is a Contact?
              18.. What is a Contact List?
              19.. What is Floor Control?
              20.. What is a Group Call?
              21.. What are Group Contacts (a.k.a. Talk Groups)?
              22.. What is Ignoring an Alert?
              23.. What is Presence?
              24.. What is the Presence Icon?
              25.. What is a Private Call?
              26.. What is a Push to Talk Button?
              27.. How do you resond to an Alert?
              28.. What is Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP)?
              29.. What is Web Provisioning?

            General Information

              a.. What is Push to Talk?
              A Walkie-Talkie / 2-way Radio type service that provides
simple voice communication with the touch of a button. A Push to Talk
capable handset and subscription to Push to Talk is required for both the
originating and terminating parties.

              Back to top

              b.. Which handsets are Push to Talk enabled?
              There is currently one handset available, the Motorola v60p.
Other handsets will be available later.

              Back to top

              c.. Will Push to Talk work nationwide?
              Yes, you can connect directly with other Verizon Wireless Push
to Talk subscribers across the nationwide Verizon Wireless Express NetworkSM
service area.

              Back to top

              d.. How do I set up my Push to Talk Individual and Group
contact lists?
              You can manage your Individual and Group contact lists on the
Push to Talk Contact Management website. You can access this website from
the main Verizon Wireless Home page or you can go directly to Push to Talk
and follow the instructions.

              Back to top

              e.. What happens when I receive a regular voice call while
using Push to Talk?
              While you are using your Push to Talk service, you will not be
interrupted if another person tries to call you. Incoming regular voice
calls will go directly to your voice mail and will be in your call log. You
will not notice a change during your Push to Talk call.

              Back to top

              f.. What happens when I receive a Push to Talk call while on a
regular voice call?
              Your voice call will not be interrupted. You will not receive
any indicators that you missed a Push to Talk call. The person who tried to
call you using Push to Talk will receive a message indicating that you were
unavailable.

              Back to top

              g.. Will I be able to set up "Groups"?
              Yes, through the Push to Talk Contact Management website. You
can access this website through verizonwireless.com or by visiting Push to
Talk.

              Back to top

              h.. How many individuals can be included in a "Group"?
              If you signed up for the Unlimited Group Calling Promotion you
will be able to include up to 10 individuals in a Group. If you did not sign
up for the Group Calling Promotion you will be able to include up to 20
individuals in a Group.

              Back to top

              i.. How many "Groups" can I establish?
              You may establish up to 50 different Groups.

              Back to top

              j.. How many Individual Contacts can I establish?
              You may establish up to 150 different Individual Contacts.

              Back to top

              k.. Will I be charged airtime for my Push to Talk calls?
              Yes, your Push to Talk minutes will come out of your Push to
Talk allowance. Your anytime voice, mobile-to-mobile, and night & weekend
allowance minutes will not be affected. If you subscribed to Push to Talk
during the promotional period and received the Unlimited Group Calling
promotion your Group Calls will come out of your Unlimited Push to Talk
allowance minutes. If you did not sign up for the Unlimited Group Calls
promotion you will be charged for each minute per individual in your group
in accordance with your Calling Plan. You will not be charged for receiving
a Push to Talk call.

              Back to top

              l.. Will my regular voice calls be interrupted when I receive
a Push to Talk alert?
              No, your regular voice call will not be interrupted. The
person sending you the Push to Talk alert will receive a notice indicating
that you were unavailable. A person sending you the Push to Talk barge call
will receive a "call ended" message when you do not respond.

              Back to top

              m.. If I call someone who is not in my contact list, how many
digits of the mobile telephone number do I enter to make a successful Push
to Talk call?
              You should enter in the person's entire 10 digit mobile number
(the 3-digit area code and the 7-digit mobile number). If you add a 1 before
the area code, or only dial the 7 digits (forgetting the area code), the
call will not complete.

              Back to top

              n.. Do I need to have a special Push to Talk phone number?
              No, you will only need one Verizon Wireless mobile telephone
number. That one number will work for both your traditional voice calls and
your Push to Talk calls.

              Back to top

              o.. What is an Alert Call?
              The tactful method by which a user can contact another Push to
Talk recipient without barging-in and automatically speaking. The
recipient's handset plays an audible tone and displays a message indicating
someone wants to speak with them.

              Back to top

              p.. What is a Barge Call?
              The method by which someone receives a Push to Talk call by
hearing an audible tone immediately followed by the voice of the originator.

              Back to top

              q.. What is a Contact?
              Any one individual assigned by a Push to Talk user via the
Push to Talk website or (future development) directly through the handset.
Only other Push to Talk users may be added as contacts.

              Back to top

              r.. What is a Contact List?
              A directory located within the handset that includes all Push
to Talk contacts and groups that have been established by the user. Only
other Push to Talk contacts and groups appear in this directory.

              Back to top

              s.. What is Floor Control?
              The ability to gain access to speak while active in a push to
Talk session.

              Back to top

              t.. What is a Group Call?
              The ability for Push to Talk users to initiate or participate
on a call, simultaneously, with as many as 20 total participants. Group
contacts must be established via the Push to Talk website prior to
initiating a group call.

              Back to top

              u.. What are Group Contacts (a.k.a. Talk Groups)?
              Any distinct set of indivudal contacts combined to form a
unique unit with which the user may contact simultaneously. The user must
assign a different identifying name to each group. Only other established
Push to Talk contacts may be added to groups.

              Back to top

              v.. What is Ignoring an Alert?
              Users who are unable to reply to the originator of the alert
may disregard the request to speak by pressing the ignore soft key. The
originator's handset will display a message that the recipient is
unavailable.

              Back to top

              w.. What is Presence?
              The functionality that lets users know their Contacts are
available to receive Push to Talk calls.

              Back to top

              x.. What is the Presence Icon?
              The symbol next to the Contact name that indicates recipient's
availability.

              Back to top

              y.. What is a Private Call?
              A one-to-one call.

              Back to top

              z.. What is a Push to Talk Button?
              The large button located on the left side of the handset used
to initiate or respond to a Push to Talk call. Floor control (the ability to
speak) is received by depressing this button.

              Back to top

              aa.. How do you resond to an Alert?
              Users may reply to the originator of the alert simply by
pressing the Push to Talk button and speaking or by pressing the Answer
softkey and the Push to Talk button.

              Back to top

              ab.. What is Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP)?
              The technology for transmitting voice conversations over a
data network using the Internet Protocol.

              Back to top

              ac.. What is Web Provisioning?
              The ability for customers to create and manage their Contacts
and Talk Groups. The web address for customers to access this site is
www.vzwpushtotalk.com or it can be accessed via a link at
www.verizonwireless.com.

              Back to top

      Privacy | Legal Notices | Website Use | Customer Agreement | Customer
Information Overview | Return Policy
 © 2003 Verizon Wireless