Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Networks Operate Well Despite Blackout

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:56:20 -0400

I'm sure nextel will say the same thing-
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030814/lath143_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Verizon Communications

Verizon Networks Operate Well Despite Blackout
Thursday August 14, 7:44 pm ET

Company's Call Routing Centers Automatically Convert to Diesel Generators

NEW YORK, Aug. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon wireline and wireless networks
are operating well despite the loss of commercial power in several states
served by the company.
In all Verizon's service areas where commercial power was lost, the
company's hundreds of call-routing centers immediately converted to diesel
backups. Verizon's networks are designed to operate on backup electric power
when commercial power is lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Verizon's wireline network is performing normally while handling
heavier-than-normal call volumes in the Northeast. Enhanced 9-1-1 emergency
services are not affected.
Verizon Wireless's network also is fully operational, although customers
in the New York City and other impacted areas are asked to be patient if their
calls do not go through on the first attempt due to very heavy calling.
A Fortune 10 company, Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ - News) is one of the
world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon companies are
the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United
States, with 137.6 million access line equivalents and 34.6 million Verizon
Wireless customers. Verizon is the third largest long-distance carrier for
U.S. consumers, with 14.6 million long-distance lines, and the company is also
the largest directory publisher in the world, as measured by directory titles
and circulation. With approximately $67 billion in annual revenues and
221,000 employees, Verizon's global presence extends to the Americas, Europe
and Asia. For more information on Verizon, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches
and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at
Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To
receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for
customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.

Source:
Verizon Communications
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Get a FREE Mortgage REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!

·

Need money to pay off your bills?

·

Get a FREE Mortgage REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!

·

FXCM - 24-Hour, Commission Free Online Currency Trading

·

7 Stocks to Buy Now!

·

Refinancing? Search rates in your area. Free.

·

5 Must-Own Telecom Stocks - FREE Report!

·

#1 site for Credit: www.eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Home Equity Loans: Today's Rates, Free Quote

·

Save up to $500* in commissions with CyberTrader.

Related
Quote

VZ

35.75

+0.13

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

[external] Overload Causes Massive Outage - at TheStreet.com (7:43 pm)

·

UPDATE - Verizon, unions to return to federal bargaining - Reuters (7:34 pm)

·

[external] Most phone service OK after outages - at CBS MarketWatch (7:09 pm)

·

[external] Massive power outage strikes U.S. East Coast - at CBS MarketWatch (6:51 pm)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Power Outage Stuns Financial Markets - Reuters (7:20 pm)

·

Stocks Seen Lower Friday After Outage - Reuters (6:43 pm)

·

Dell Profit Climbs, Sees Sales Rising - Reuters (7:32 pm)

·

Goodyear: Friday Deadline for Labor Deal - Reuters (6:50 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 PR
Newswire.
All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution
of
PRNewswire content is expressly prohibited without
the prior written
consent of PRNewswire. PRNewswire shall not be liable
for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in
reliance thereon.