Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Limo- "James Pull Over To That McDonalds I Need To Log In"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:41:12 -0400

Updated 8/26/2003 8:18 AM

Wi-Fi Limo- "James Pull Over To That McDonalds I Need To Log In"

Limo companies load up on high-tech
to compete

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

A technology war is brewing in the back
seats of the nation's limousines. To impress well-heeled clients —
from CEOs to hip-hop stars — top limo providers are loading cars
with gadgets ranging from DVD players to wireless Internet access
and satellite radio.

Limos are going high-tech with such
items as DVD players and Wi-Fi

Empire International/SecureCar
Worldwide

With wireless Internet, or Wi-Fi, becoming more commonplace in
top hotels, the limo industry is looking to keep up. Executive
customers "are flying in the front of the plane, staying at top-quality
hotels, and we have to give them a seamless experience," says
Tom Mazza, executive director of the National Limousine
Association. That means new tech features such as:

•Wi-Fi. Carey International is going to test technology-packed
Lincoln Town Cars in four cities. One version has Wi-Fi, satellite TV
and radio, a fax machine and beverage cooler. Rental rates will be
the same as for other sedans. The nation's largest limo operator
wants to find out which items are popular and which aren't,
President Devin Murphy says. The winners will be incorporated into
a VIP car expected to launch next year.

•DVD. Two bulletproof SUVs that Empire International rents through
its SecureCar Worldwide unit include a 9-inch video screen in front,
two 20-inch screens in back and a $25,000 sound system. They
have onboard touch-screen computers and wireless Internet —
besides being able to absorb point-blank AK-47 rounds. Each rents
for $250 an hour, almost five times the usual rate.

•Navigation systems. Dav El, another big limo provider, plans to
begin equipping cars soon with satellite navigation systems to help
travelers and drivers alike. It's also installing XM Satellite Radio,
which receives more than 100 stations, in the back seats of cars.

Some firms are hesitant to invest in back-seat gadgets until they are
sure they work and customers want them.

"Sometimes you can put too much in the vehicle," says President
Russ Cooke of BostonCoach, which is evaluating wireless Internet.
"You want to make sure it's thoroughly tested and not going to
disappoint anyone if it fails."

Other companies question whether executives will use the gadgets.
"Most of the time they are on the cell phone. They don't have time to
play games in the back of the car," says Nick Osmanovic of
1-800-Book-A-Limo.

But the industry could use a tech boost. About 15% of limo- and
car-service providers, mostly small firms, have gone out of
business since the Sept. 11 attacks because of weakened demand,
Mazza says.

He says technology won't allow firms to raise rates, but it will help to
keep them from being further depressed

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-08-25-limos_x.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/