Subject: [NEXTEL-1] St. John's U. Arms Freshmen With Wi-Fi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:46:16 -0400

St. John's U. Arms Freshmen With Wi-Fi
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
AUGUST 28, 2003

Gone are the days when all students needed to attend college were a slate and a
piece of chalk; nowadays freshmen are entering college with all the latest
technology and gadgets. St. John's University is making sure its new students are
armed and ready for Wi-Fi. Each incoming freshman will receive an IBM ThinkPad
notebook powered by Intel Centrino Mobile Technology. The notebooks will operate
on the university's new Cisco Aironet Wi-Fi WLAN from Cisco Systems Inc. The
campus-wide network includes 1,200 access points and supports data rates up to 11
Mbps. The network has the capability to be upgraded to handle data rates up to 54
Mbps.

The wireless network is designed to give students access in high-traffic areas,
such as the student center, cafeteria and main
campus quadrangle. Beyond surfing the Net and chatting with friends, students will
use the wireless network and the notebooks toaccess virtual classrooms. St. John's
officials estimate the $7 million investment will pay off down the road in
building cost savings of as much as $30 million.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=08/28/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/