Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Driving Into The Next Gen

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:35:29 -0400

Driving Into The Next Gen
BY BRAD SMITH
AUGUST 1, 2003

Faced with the extinction of cellular digital packet data networks, police
departments across the country are arming themselves with 2.5G and 3G technologies
for their voice and data needs.

The 30-person Sulphur Springs Police Department in east Texas has been using
Sprint PCS' 1X network nearly a year now with Sierra Wireless AirCards in laptops
in patrol cars and the Handspring Treo for motorcycle officers. Nine patrol cars
and three motorcycle officers are equipped.

They use the laptops or Treos to access the state and federal crime information
center to check on driver's licenses, license plates, warrants, stolen cars and
other property. Coming soon: the ability for officers in the field to type out
their reports and transmit them to headquarters without having to return in
person.

Police in Mesquite, Texas, this summer became the first in the country to use a
new Sierra Wireless modem, the MP GPRS 750, on AT&T Wireless' GSM/GPRS network.
The system not only gives officers access to the state and national crime
databases, but to the court system and city and county records such as tax
documents.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA314149&spacedesc=Features&stt=000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/