Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A Look At Verizon's Push-To-Talk Service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:01:03 -0400

A Look At Verizon's Push-To-Talk Service
Contributed by mmasnick on Thurs, Aug 28 2003

A good piece by Mike Langberg (
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/10913 ) looking at Verizon
Wireless's new push-to-talk offering, comparing it to Nextel's offering. It sounds
like it does some things better (having a "presence" list so you know who's
available) and some things worse (slower connect times). I also agree that the
pricing is way too high (though, that's no surprise with a wireless carrier
offering a new service). They want $20/month just for PTT and if you're contacting
groups instead of individuals it's got a per minute per user charge - which can
add up pretty quickly. While I can see how PTT would be nice to have, I think
carriers have misread the market, based on Nextel's success. Nextel focused on
businesses where PTT made perfect sense. Those people are willing to pay extra for
it. Verizon Wireless (and the other carriers) seem to think that just about anyone
values PTT the same way - which is simply not true. When taken to a general
audience, consumers won't be willing to pay nearly as much (and I won't even
bother discussing interoperability questions...).

www.techdirt.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/