Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Details: KETV Tower Tumbles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:42:13 -0400

Details: KETV Tower Tumbles
Still No Word On Why Tower Fell
Shiloh Woolman, Managing Editor

POSTED: 12:15 p.m. CDT July 7, 2003
UPDATED: 5:25 p.m. CDT July 8, 2003

OMAHA, Neb. -- Crews returned to the site of Friday's KETV tower collapse at 72nd
and Crown Point Monday. They are hoping to determine what brought down the
1,200-foot tower and begin to assess how and when the station will be able to
rebuild.
The main broadcast tower for Channel 7 fell to the ground Friday at 11:09 p.m.
Neighbors reported hearing the guy wires snap, but they mistakenly thought the
noise was fireworks.

"All of a sudden I heard this noise like a jet and the tower just fell on top of
itself," said Tracy Oliver, a witness to the collapse.  "The lights went out as it
went down."
KETV was upgrading the tower with new HDTV technology. No one was hurt in the fall
and Channel 7 is still being broadcast from an auxiliary tower near the station at
27th and Douglas streets.

KVNO is not so lucky, however. The classical music station had an antenna on the
tower and it has no backup location. For the indefinite future, KVNO can be heard
on the Internet KVNO.

See tower pictures
http://www.theomahachannel.com/ketv7/2315531/detail.html

July 7, 2003: KETV Tower Topples
http://www.theomahachannel.com/station/2313255/detail.html'

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/