Subject: [NEXTEL-1] verizon to launch PTT on Thursday

From: "havaloc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:43:36 -0000

No speculation this time:

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14696

Verizon Wireless' highly anticipated press-to-talk service is expected
to launch tomorrow with the carrier rolling out a nationwide offering
using the carrier's CDMA2000 1x packet network, Winphoria's PTT server
and initially a Motorola V60p handset. The service is expected to be
similar to Nextel Communications Inc.'s Direct Connect service, though
analysts have noted the Verizon Wireless service might not match
Nextel's sub-one-second setup time.

The Motorola handset, which is similar to the current V60 model except
for the addition of a speakerphone, vents molded into the sides of the
keypad and a rubberized press-to-talk button on the side of the
handset, is expected to sell for between $150 and $330, depending on
the length of contract. An additional handset from Samsung Corp. is
expected to be introduced shortly after the service is launched.

According to industry sources, Verizon Wireless' press-to-talk service
will allow users to register contacts via a special link from the
carrier's Web site, include a "presence" functionality for up to 150
people and 50 groups, and alert users when they miss cellular calls
when using the press-to-talk feature.

Verizon Wireless was expected to launch its walkie-talkie service at
the beginning of July but reportedly pulled the launch after Nextel
claimed it had patented the Push To Talk and PTT descriptions Verizon
Wireless planned to use for its service. Verizon Wireless set up a
Push to Talk Internet login page for testing of its service that used
the Push to Talk description for the service.

Verizon Wireless' relationship with Nextel further soured last month
when Verizon Wireless filed a lawsuit against Nextel claiming the
Reston, Va.-based carrier had illegally obtained a pair of
press-to-talk-enabled Verizon Wireless handsets and tested the service
using Verizon Wireless' network.

Sprint PCS is also expected to launch a press-to-talk service dubbed
Ready Link by the fourth quarter and reported last week that it had
entered final testing of the service with business clients. The
carrier said its service will include both a ruggedized "candy-bar"
style handset and a flip phone. 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:33:44 -0000

> No speculation this time:

Until it launches, its still speculation.

I did notice the article mentions "press-to-talk". Perhaps Sprint 
will use "mash-to-mumble".

PS. Has Nextel sent a cease and decease letter to SoLink over the 
PTT and push to talk trademarks?

PSS. About the change in NASCAR colors, I hope they do it, it will 
only reinforce my claim that the deal is the "new-coke" deals of 
sports-marketing.