Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lucent demonstratesThird-Generation Mobile Applications for Public Safety Sector

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:12:35 -0000

Lucent Technologies and Industry Leaders Demonstrate Third-
Generation Mobile Applications for Public Safety Sector
Monday August 11, 11:02 am ET  
Padcom's TotalRoam(R) Mobile Connectivity Suite, Lucent's 3G Mobile 
High-Speed Data Portfolio, and the Sierra Wireless AirCard(R) 
Integrated to Address Emergency Response and Law Enforcement Needs 

INDIANAPOLIS, Aug. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Lucent Technologies today 
announced it is demonstrating live third-generation (3G) mobile 
applications with several of the industry's leading companies at the 
Association of Public Safety Communications Officials' (APCO) 2003 
Conference & Symposium taking place this week at the Indianapolis 
Convention Center and RCA Dome. Lucent is collaborating with 
companies such as Padcom® and Sierra Wireless to highlight how 3G 
mobile high-speed data networks can be utilized by public safety 
personnel.
Law enforcement and public safety agents can access applications any 
time and any where via today's commercial, always-on 3G networks at 
speeds of up to 153 kilobits per second, which is up to eight times 
faster than CDPD (Cellular Digital Packet Data) networks that have 
traditionally been used. These 3G networks can be enhanced in the 
future to support super-fast data speeds of up to 2.4 Megabits per 
second.

"Because of its impressive speed, inherent security and ubiquitous 
coverage, 3G mobile high-speed data is the perfect solution for 
agencies that are looking to migrate their CDPD applications to a 
more advanced and versatile wireless platform," said Jeff Cortley, 
director of offer management, Lucent Technologies' Mobility 
Solutions Group. "The speed of 3G technology enables new 
applications that cannot be delivered by slower wireless data 
networks, and these enhancements can improve efficiency, speed up 
decision-making, and enable public safety personnel to spend more 
time on the road and less time at the agency location."

"One of the key requirements for public safety agencies as they 
transition from CDPD is maintaining static IP addressing 
functionality, which is necessary for establishing secure, always-on 
connections using various types of wireless networks and devices," 
said Mark Ferguson, director of marketing, Padcom, Inc. "Our static 
IP addressing capabilities will be integrated into Lucent's 3G 
mobile high-speed data portfolio -- making it possible for agencies 
to take full advantage of 3G technology, while maintaining support 
for the static IP address requirements of their existing and future 
applications."

see: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030811/nym025_2.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/