Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorolas Mission Critical IP Platform Offers Industrys Only Interoperable Project 25 Voice and Advanced Wireless Data Solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:58:31 -0400

Motorola’s Mission Critical IP™ Platform Offers Industry’s Only Interoperable
Project 25 Voice and Advanced Wireless Data Solution
Single Platform Provides Key Homeland Security Capabilities for
First Responders and Preventers

INDIANAPOLIS, — 12 Aug. 2003 — Today, Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) unveiled the
industry’s first solution that provides both Project 25 voice and advanced
wireless data communications using a single platform –

Mission Critical IP. The new voice and data platform will be demonstrated at this
year’s Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO) Conference,
running Aug. 11-14 at the Indiana Convention Center and RCA Dome.
Motorola’s Mission Critical IP platform is part of its extensive portfolio of
public safety and security solutions for mission-critical integrated
communications, information management, regional coordination and incident
command.

Mission Critical communications systems require high system reliability, open
standards and dedicated spectrum to guarantee communication paths are available
when public safety users need them. The Mission Critical IP platform is designed
to achieve this objective.

“First responders and preventers require access to mission-critical networks that
are reliable, available, interoperable and utilize regulated spectrum to address
local, statewide and Homeland Security communications needs,” said Chuck Jackson,
Motorola Communications and Electronics, Inc. (MCEI) vice president and director,
Motorola North America Group. “Mission Critical IP is the industry’s only
communications platform that couples Project 25 trunked voice and high-speed IP
data in one platform, enabling seamless interoperability for all public safety
agencies. Motorola is committed to expanding the capabilities of this powerful
platform to accommodate faster, more advanced voice and data solutions.”

Mission Critical IP Capabilities

In addition to supporting advanced Project 25 voice capabilities, the Mission
Critical IP platform enables multiple data applications to operate at varying data
rates across both wide and local areas. It helps optimal network performance and
allows users to move seamlessly across the coverage area without interruption to
their applications. Motorola’s Mission Critical IP platform accommodates ASTRO®
Integrated Voice and Data, as well as High Performance Data solutions. New
capabilities will continue to be built on the Mission Critical IP platform
including offerings in the 700 MHz wideband spectrum, as well as the 4.9 GHz
frequencies.

ASTRO 25 Integrated Voice and Data

Easily added to ASTRO 25 systems, this capability provides IP data capability and
utilizes existing base stations and radios within the ASTRO 25 system. It is an
ideal solution for simple database inquiry, text messaging and basic location
service applications.

High Performance Data

Mission Critical IP High Performance Data provides data rates up to 96 kbps over
25 kHz channels in the 700 MHz and 800 MHz bands. This increased bandwidth allows
agencies to implement a wide array of advanced applications, such as offender
database lookups, field reports, automatic vehicle location and computer aided
dispatch (CAD). Some components of the High Performance Data system will have the
ability to operate on 700 MHz wideband channels when they become available,
helping to ensure a future technology path.

700 MHz Wideband Data Solutions

As part of the public safety allocation in the 700 MHz band, the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) provided 12 MHz of spectrum dedicated to public
safety for Wideband data – an industry first. These data speeds allow
implementation of sophisticated wireless data applications such as video and
high-resolution imaging. Motorola tested and perfected this technology in its
“greenhouse” system, where data speeds up to 430 kbps were tested.

4.9 Licensed WLAN

WLAN technology has increased in popularity for providing broadband data access in
localized areas.  However, much of existing technology operates on unlicensed
spectrum resulting in potentially high levels of interference and security risk.
The FCC’s recent adoption of rules for 4.9 GHz band service represents a critical
step in fulfilling the public safety community’s need for mission-critical radio
spectrum.

A planned addition to Motorola’s Mission Critical IP platform, 4.9 GHz Mission
Critical WLAN solutions will enable users to access an Intranet or the Internet in
mobile “offices,” as well as real-time streaming video.  Broadband solutions will
also provide agencies with secure interoperable communications for managing
incident and disaster scenes on dedicated, licensed channels.

For more information on Motorola’s Mission Critical IP platform and applications,
visit their booth numbered
923 at the Indiana Convention Center and RCA Dome or visit Motorola’s website at
www.motorola.com

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,3149_2582_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/