Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon launches Nextel-like service in Fla.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:19:45 -0400

1:39 AM EDT Friday

Verizon launches Nextel-like service in Fla.

Verizon Wireless has begun marketing in Florida the "walkie-talkie" type wireless
service long dominated by Nextel.
The Bedminster, N.J.-based wireless service provider says in Florida, the Verizon
Wireless Push to Talk service will run on the company's 23,000-square-mile
high-speed network. The network covers nearly 14 million of Florida's 15.5 million
residents.
The Push to Talk service will allow customers to connect directly, in seconds,
with other users by pressing a button on a capable handset, Verizon says.

Business or residential customers can set up and manage group-calling lists via a
Verizon Web site, the company says, without a call to customer service or a visit
to a Verizon retail location.

"Icons appear directly on the handset, indicating which users are available to
participate in a walkie-talkie call so the customer doesn't waste valuable time
attempting to identify which contact is available," the company explains.

The joint venture between Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE:
VOD) says the monthly fee for one of its plans that includes unlimited, one-to-one
walkie-talkie-like service ranges from $59.99 to $219.99.

Verizon says its Push to Talk service plans include nationwide calling, 3-way
calling, call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID and voice mail with message
waiting indicator.
Verizon has 11 retail stores in metro Orlando.
http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2003/08/11/daily48.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/