Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Senator Asks FCC To Improve Cellphone Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:18:08 -0400

Senator Asks FCC To Improve Cellphone Network

Senator Charles Schumer called on the FCC to help improve New York's
cellular-telephone system, which experienced widespread failures during the recent
blackout. In a letter to Michael K Powell, chairman of the FCC, Schumer urged the
commission to require all cellphone providers to have a system in place that would
push calls made by emergency personnel to the front of the cellphone call line.
Jim Gerace, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless, said the cellphone industry was
working with the government on an emergency priority system, but he added that
such a system is 'terribly complex and expensive to put in place'. Reported by The
Wall Street Journal.

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/