Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WolfPack Proves Strength in Numbers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:11:31 -0400

WolfPack Proves Strength in Numbers
By K.L. Vantran
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON

Aug. 14, 2003

Doing more with less (power) may seem unusual, but that's exactly what the
WolfPack program strives to accomplish.

WolfPack, a project of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, has an
objective to create a system that will deny an adversary use of its
communications while not interfering with friendly military and commercial
radio communications.

Most electronic systems are located onboard large, expensive aircraft that
have to be hundreds of miles from the areas they survey, according to
Preston Marshall, WolfPack program manager.

However, in looking at commercial technology such as cell phones, Marshall
said they realized there was a need to create a small, low-cost device that
could be placed in the enemies' backyard to both monitor and knock out their
communications.

With six-inch tall cylinder devices, the WolfPack program may be the answer.

"Each device is very small - about 4 inches wide. Each weighs about 6
pounds," he added.

While proximity to the target is a plus, so is the fact that the system can
be placed without ground troops being in the area.

The cylinders may be launched or even air-dropped with small parachutes into
an area. To ensure adequate coverage, a cylinder would be placed each square
kilometer.

"The idea is to litter the battlefield with these small objects," said
Marshall.

"Once a cylinder hits the ground, it checks itself out," the program manager
explained. "If everything is working properly, the fins will erect and make
the device stand up. An inflatable antenna goes up and it generates a radio
signal. They form a network. Wolf networks find other wolf networks and
eventually find a path back to the command center."

The devices' strength is in their collective use, noted Marshall.

"Each WolfPack is very small, but collectively they gang up on the signal."

Troops may also carry the devices with them. Referred to as "six-pack in a
backpack," Marshall said this will assist troops in setting up defensive
perimeters and monitoring areas.

Those who use WolfPack should need no added training.

"We're trying to leverage training people already have and make our system
look like (just) another sensor on the battlefield," Marshall said.

He noted that he and his staff are working with each service and its unique
needs. "They'll take what we've done and tailor it," he added.

Each device, which runs on battery, should last approximately two months.
When possible, devices can be recovered and reused. The cost of each is
estimated at $10,000.

"It's a robust system and much less expensive than operating an aircraft
several hundred miles away," said Marshall.

Officials hope to test a prototype in 18 months.
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Aug2003/n08142003_200308147.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/