Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL ISSUES "WIRELESS E911 CALL TO ACTION"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:42:52 -0400

FCC CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL ISSUES  "WIRELESS E911 CALL TO ACTION"

Calls Upon Governors to Aid in Deployment

Urges Consumers to
Know the Facts on Deployment in Their Area

Washington, D.C.
August 11, 2003

FCC Chairman Michael Powell today issued a "call to action" to state
governors and state and local public safety officials to join the FCC in
ensuring that emergency call centers can identify the locations of people
making 911 emergency calls from wireless phones.

In a speech today before the Association of Public Safety Communication
Officials (APCO) International, Inc., Chairman Powell said, "We know that
wireless enhanced 911 technology works - and can save lives."

Powell said, "Government cannot be a passive observer in the roll-out of
E911, we must be an active participant."  Powell said that E911 progress
requires that "carriers, public safety officials, ILECS, equipment vendors
and state and local governments must be full partners with the FCC."

Powell also called on consumers to play a "central role" in demanding E911
services for their wireless phones. He said, "When consumers buy wireless
phones, they shouldn't just ask about the price. They need to ask carriers
'Do you provide E911 Phase II capability? How accurate is the E911
capability in this handset?  What is your deployment schedule in my area?"

Powell warned that the FCC will not hesitate to take strong enforcement
actions, including substantial fines and imposition of binding deployment
schedules, against wireless carriers who delay deployment of wireless E911
services to their customers without adequate justification.

Powell said he had invited gubernatorial and tribal Representatives to
attend a meeting of the FCC's E911 Coordination Initiative on October 29-30
in Washington "to tackle current deployment issues, accuracy requirements
and additional public education efforts."

Studies have shown that nearly a third of 911 calls today are from wireless
phone users. The FCC's Phase I E911 rules required wireless carriers, within
six months of a valid request from a public safety answering point - the 911
call center, to begin supplying to emergency dispatchers the telephone
number of a wireless 911 caller and the location of the cell site or base
station transmitting the call.

The Phase II E911 rules require wireless carriers, within six months of a
valid request by a PSAP, to begin providing more precise location
information to emergency dispatchers, specifically, the latitude and
longitude of the caller.  This information must meet FCC accuracy
standards - generally, it must be accurate to within 50-300 meters
(depending on the type of technology used).

Powell announced that the Commission is rolling out a wireless 911
nationwide public awareness campaign emphasizing wireless E911 coordination,
outreach, and education.  The Commission will intensify its efforts by
targeted, direct outreach to consumers and by closely coordinating with
state, local and tribal governments.

Powell also announced the establishment of a wireless E911 technical
subcommittee of the Commission's Network Reliability and Interoperability
Council (NRIC) that will focus on network architecture and technical
standards issues.  In addition, the January 2004 Technical Advisory
Committee meeting will be devoted to wireless E911 in an effort to shape the
issues to be studied by the NRIC.

Powell linked the importance of E911 to broad homeland security concerns. He
said, "Before and since September 11th, the commission has developed
policies to secure our nation's telecommunications infrastructure and
network reliability.  Spectrum policy and homeland security are at the
forefront of my strategic plan for the Commission.  Central to that plan is
the implementation of Enhanced 911 for wireless communications services.

FCC -

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-237525A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/