Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell highlights 911 at APCO convention

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:31:45 -0400

Powell highlights 911 at APCO convention
By HEATHER FORSGREN WEAVER
August 12 13:29:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—FCC Chairman Michael Powell invited all state officials responsible for
deploying wireless enhanced 911 to the Federal Communications Commission in late
October for the second part of the E911 Initiative, which was launched
in the spring.

“The FCC cannot make E911 happen—we need carriers, public safety, incumbent local
exchange carriers, equipment
vendors, and state and local governments to be full partners if the ‘era of
cooperation’ is to yield a lasting ‘era of
accomplishment,’ ” said Powell.

Powell appeared Aug. 11 at the annual conference of the Association of
Public-Safety Communications Officials in
Indianapolis.

Additionally, Powell sent a letter to all state E911 officials and announced the
creation of an E911 technical
subcommittee of the FCC’s Network Reliability and Interoperability Council. The
January meeting of the FCC’s Technical
Advisory Committee will shape the issues to be discussed by the NRIC subcommittee.

But even with all of these efforts, Powell told the APCO audience it is consumers
who can make the most difference.

“When consumers buy wireless phones, they shouldn’t just ask about the price. They
need to ask carriers, ‘Do you
provide E911 Phase II capability? How accurate is the E911 capability in this
handset? What is your deployment
schedule in my area?’ ” said Powell.

Powell has often linked E911 to homeland security in the wake of the Sept. 11,
2001, terrorist attacks, and he did so
again in Indianapolis. “Before and since Sept. 11, the FCC has developed policies
to secure our nation’s
telecommunications infrastructure and network reliability. Spectrum policy and
homeland security are at the forefront of
my strategic plan for the commission. Central to that plan is the implementation
of E911 for wireless communications
services,” he said.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14682

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/