Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Canada updates E911 regulations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 03:06:09 -0400

Canada updates E911 regulations

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated
its existing emergency service, 9-1-1 regulations for mobile phone carriers. In
this decision, the CRTC directs wireless service providers to provide wireless
Enhanced 911 (E911) service wherever E911 network access services are available.
Previously, unless it accepted the status and all of the obligations of a
competitive local exchange carrier, a wireless carrier had no regulatory
obligation to transmit emergency calls.
The CRTC has also ordered all wireless carriers to inform their new subscribers
about the emergency services they offer, and to periodically inform existing
customers of these services.  This is expected to improve awareness among
subscribers about the wireless emergency service features of their mobile
telephones. Wireless carriers are required to file plans with the CRTC in the next
90 days on how and when they will notify their subscribers.

In addition, in today's decision, the CRTC requires every wireless carrier to
provide toll-free telephone access to at least one of their operations centres 24
hours a day, seven days a week, in order to assist 9-1-1 operators seeking
subscriber information in emergency situations.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is an independent
public authority that regulates and supervises broadcasting and telecommunications
in Canada.

Posted to the site on 13-Aug-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/