Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Static on cop calls cleared: Nextel, DPD agree on radio overlap]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:20:34 -0400

Static on cop calls cleared
Nextel, DPD agree on radio overlap; official OK needed

By News Staff
August 29, 2003

Denver police and the cellular telephone service Nextel have agreed 
to get out of each other's way on the radio spectrum, but they need 
permission from the government first.

That was one of the conclusions of a conference Thursday on public 
safety and private telecommunications. The company and the 
department talked about how they can work together instead of 
blotting out each other's signals in certain parts of the city.

Both services operate in the 800 megahertz band, with some overlap.

That interference can black out police radios in areas that are far 
from the department's Mount Morrison transmitter and close to a cell 
phone tower.

The interference has not caused a major problem, but Denver police 
say they want to avoid the chance it will.

Nextel advocates moving all public safety communications to the 
lower end of the 800 Mhz band and cell phone signals to the upper 
range, with a buffer zone separating the two.

The Federal Communications Commission will take up the issue later 
this year. Steve Cooper, a Denver police division chief who oversees 
technology, said the FCC may look at how well Denver and Nextel work 
together to see if that kind of separation can be achieved 
nationwide.

But permission to make that move has not been granted yet.

Reprogramming the transmitter and the 6,000 radios used in the city 
would take some time, Cooper said but would be paid for with Nextel 
money.

Nationwide, that plan is criticized as far too costly to be 
practical.

While Denver's equipment can handle a reprogramming, other public 
safety agencies would need new equipment.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2218956,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Steve S. Bosshard \(NU5D\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:23:08 -0500

I hate to be picky, but isn't Nextel and Enhanced Specialized Mobile Radio Service provider
and the others, like AT&T Wiresless and so forth in the 870-890 thereabouts bands cellular
operators???

I don't want to see good neighborly cellular providers disparaged.

ssb