Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Largent confirms he is leading candidate for CTIA post

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:57:28 -0400

Largent confirms he is leading candidate for CTIA post
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
August 13 12:40:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Former U.S. Rep. Stephen Largent (R-Okla.) confirmed to RCR Wireless
News that he is the leading candidate to replace Thomas Wheeler, president and
chief executive officer of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association.
“I am a candidate,” said Largent Wednesday from Oklahoma. “I am in the hunt.”
Largent said that details are being worked out so that hopefully an announcement
can be made next week.“I am cautiously optimistic, but it is not put to bed, so I
would hate to get too out front,” said Largent.

Largent left Congress in early 2002 to run for governor of Oklahoma, losing to
Brad Henry (D). Largent now works as senior public policy consultant in the
government affairs practice group of the law firm of Wiley Rein & Fielding.

Even those not familiar with politics have probably heard of Largent. He was a
star wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League. He
was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame in 1995 after being selected as NFL Man of the
Year in 1988 and was a member of seven Pro Bowl teams.

In Congress, Largent was a member of the House telecommunications subcommittee,
but several industry sources were unable to point to any specific wireless or even
telecom legislation that he championed.

According to a Wiley Rein biography, Largent is a frequent motivational speaker.
He graduated from the University of Tulsa.

Other names to replace Wheeler that have surfaced recently include former Rep.
Rick White (R-Wash.) and former Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clark.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14685

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/