Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Companies team up to Launch Descartes MobileLink(TM) Applications Across the Nextel Nationwide Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:16:43 -0400

Nextel And Descartes Bring Real-Time Dispatch
Solutions To Market To Improve Customers'
Communication And Visibility In The Field
Tuesday August 5, 8:31 am ET

RESTON, VIRGINIA and WATERLOO, ONTARIO--
Companies team up to Launch Descartes MobileLink(TM) Applications Across the
Nextel Nationwide Network

The Descartes Systems Group Inc., (Nasdaq:DSGX - News), (TSX:DSG - News), a
trusted provider of logistics solutions and Nextel Communications, Inc.
(Nasdaq:NXTL - News), a leading digital wireless provider, today announced that
they will offer customers two Descartes MobileLink(TM) applications,
MobileLink:Status(TM) and MobileLink:Frieght (TM), for real-time fleet management
and dispatch capabilities using Nextel's Java(TM) technology-enabled phones and
the Nextel Nationwide Network.

MobileLink:Status is a cost-efficient
solution for drivers to transmit
messages on arrivals, delays and
departures, and it enables
dispatchers to dynamically adjust
routes based on actual performance
and order changes.
MobileLink:Freight also allows
drivers to retrieve route itinerary,
and transmit and report key route
information and updates. In addition,
it is currently the only logistics
application that uses a wireless bar
code scanner attachment on Nextel
phones -- the Symbol PSM20i -- to
collect shipment-related data.

"The launch of Descartes' suite of MobileLink applications on Nextel's wireless
data network means that businesses are able to be more responsive to their
customers, anywhere and at anytime," said Ernie Cormier, Nextel's vice president,
Business Solutions. "Now companies are equipped with the mobile tools they need to
efficiently manage and improve their field operations with one seamless device."

"Recognizing the growing market opportunity for wireless logistics solutions,
Descartes sought to work with a wireless provider that was both well-established
and focused on customer value," said Manuel Pietra, chief executive officer and
president, Descartes Systems Group. "Nextel's dedicated sales force, solid
customer base and ability to provide the largest all-digital wireless network in
the United States, made them an ideal company to partner with. We look forward to
working with Nextel as we further extend the market reach for our real-time
logistics solutions."

Reflecting the range of integrated wireless dispatch and scheduling needs,
Descartes MobileLink applications help to improve and streamline operational
efficiencies through real-time data exchange with mobile workers in the field.
This suite of wireless applications is designed to seamlessly tie field-level
information directly into Descartes' routing and scheduling solutions. By keeping
the entire enterprise up to date on actual status, companies can be more
responsive to the fluid nature of deliveries. As a result, customer satisfaction
improves due to better visibility of deliveries.

The costs for the solutions include Nextel's voice and Total Connect rate plans.
An annual license fee and monthly subscription fees for the MobileLink
applications apply.  For more information about Nextel's service plans and pricing
visit www.nextel.com.
The alliance with Nextel complements Descartes' strengths in providing wireless
solutions for logistics. It is a powerful example of Nextel's Wireless Business
Solutions (WBS) initiative, which combines the applications, tools and support
that companies need to achieve high performance and deliver real-time information
to decision makers.
Nextel and Descartes will share more of their relationship at Descartes
Directions(TM), an annual forum designed to bring together members of the media,
industry analyst and financial communities, to be held on September 17, 2003 in
Boston, Massachusetts. This year, the forum focuses on harnessing real-time
technologies to achieve maximum performance in logistics. The Nextel presentation
at Descartes Directions will also be available via web cast at www.descartes.com.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading
provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has built the
largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country covering thousands
of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc.,
currently serve 293 of the top 300 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches,
Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S. where
approximately 241 million people live or work.

About Descartes
The Descartes Systems Group Inc. (Nasdaq:DSGX - News; TSX:DSG - News) is a
trusted provider of logistics solutions. In more than 60 countries Descartes'
leading
solutions drive operational efficiency and enhance customer responsiveness for
global
organizations. For more information, visit www.descartes.com

http://biz.yahoo.com/ccn/030805/430072722ea47a7bf2ef1546c864eb8b_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/