Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Virus-Like Internet Infection Spreading

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:13:52 -0400

Virus-Like Internet Infection Spreading
  
By TED BRIDIS, 
AP Technology Writer

Aug 11, 2003 

WASHINGTON

A virus-like infection that was the subject of urgent U.S. government and industry
warnings spread rapidly Monday across the Internet, causing computers to
mysteriously restart and coordinating an electronic attack against Microsoft Corp. 

Security experts said the infection, which exploits an unusually dangerous flaw in
Windows software, wasn't yet seriously disrupting Internet traffic but posed that
risk as it was expected to continue spreading quickly overnight. 

Researchers discovered it about 3 p.m. EDT, and reported tens of thousands of
infected computers inside universities, businesses and homes. 

"It seems to be taking off fairly quickly," said Johannes Ullrich of Boston, who
runs the D-Shield network of computer monitors. 

Infected computers were programmed to automatically launch an attack on a Web site
operated by Microsoft on Saturday. The site, windowsupdate.com, is used to deliver
repairing software patches to Microsoft customers to prevent against these types
of infections. 

Microsoft offers a free patch on the Web site to protect Windows users. 

The infection was quickly dubbed "LovSan" because of a love note left behind on
vulnerable computers: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!" Researchers also
discovered another message hidden inside the infection that appeared to taunt
Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates (news - web sites): "billy gates why do you make
this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!" 

Government and industry experts have anticipated such an outbreak since July 16,
when Microsoft acknowledged that the flaw affected nearly all versions of its
flagship Windows operating system software. 

"It's much too early to expect to see any (Internet slowdowns) whatsoever," said
Vincent Gullotto, a vice president at Network Associates Inc. "It really depends
on how much it spreads." 

The Microsoft flaw affects Windows technology used to share data files across
computer networks. It involves a category of vulnerabilities known as "buffer
overflows," which can trick software into accepting dangerous commands. 

On the Net: 

Network Associates: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100547.htm 

Symantec: www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html 

Microsoft warning: www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp 

Government warning: www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2003/Potential7302003.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Low on Ink? Get 80% off inkjet cartridges & Free Shipping at 77Colors.com.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon, Compaq and more!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5981
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DmnqpB/IyhGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/