Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Solar-powered Big Brother is watching you

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:35:59 -0400

Contributed by mmasnick on Thurs, Aug 28 2003

This seems like a pretty smart use of a variety of technologies. Helping companies
put up surveillance cameras in hard to maintain places, Proxim and Hutton
Communications have developed a solar-powered WiFi-enabled surveillance camera
called the SolaCam. Since it uses WiFi, you don't have to worry about wiring it up
to a central server. Since it's solar powered they also don't need to worry about
getting power out to the camera either. Yet another "unexpected" use of WiFi that
makes a lot of sense.

www.tech.dirt.com
======================================================================================

Solar-powered Big Brother is watching you

By Robert Jaques [28-08-2003]
802.11 enables surveillance systems to be installed anywhere A solar-powered
wireless surveillance system that beams
video images from remote cameras back to a central server using Wi-Fi hit the
market yesterday. The system, dubbed
SolaCam, has been jointly developed by wireless firms Proxim and Hutton
Communications.

It combines Proxim's Tsunami MP.11 802.11-based point-to-multipoint wireless kit
with IP video cameras, and receives all its power requirements through solar
panels. "Customers with remote or hard-to-access assets, such as oil and gas
pipelines, bridges or rural properties, have not had an effective, economical
solution for protecting those assets," said Ron Ryan, senior vice president of
sales and marketing at Hutton, in a statement. The SolaCam package includes a
Tsunami MP.11 subscriber unit, a camera with weatherproof enclosure, a solar
panel, enhanced battery system, charge controller, integrated lightning
protection, an antenna and radio frequency cable.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/News/1143250

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/