Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Two N.Y. companies settle charges they pushed cell phone shields with false claims

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:14:47 -0400

Two N.Y. companies settle  charges they pushed cell phone shields with false
claims 

Wednesday, August 6, 2003   
 
WASHINGTON (AP) 

Two companies settled charges they made false and misleading claims about their
cell phone radiation shields,
the government said Wednesday. 

As part of its settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, one of the companies,
Rhino International Inc., 
(http://www.rhinointl.com/products/mcs_catalog.asp) agreed to pay $342,665 to
consumers who purchased 
its "WaveScrambler" patch, the government said. 

Both Rhino, based in Sag Harbor, N.Y., and Safety Cell Inc. of New York City are
required by separate settlements to have adequate scientific evidence to back
future claims about their products, the FTC said. 

Neither company could be reached immediately for comment. 

Both companies marketed shields touted as protecting cell phone users from
radiation, the government said. 

Rhino said its WaveScrambler could block 99 percent of electromagnetic waves
emitted by cellular phones and
cordless phones, the FTC charged. Safety Cell said its "WaveGuard" blocked most of
the electromagnetic energy
emitted from cell phones. (See http://www.junkscience.com/news2/wavegd.htm)

The FTC won suits earlier this year against two companies it accused of similarly
misleading statements about
their cell phone shields. Stock Value 1 Inc. of Boca Raton, Fla., and Comstar
Communications Inc. of West Sacramento, Calif., were barred from making such
claims. 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=news&start=0&num=1&q=http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--cellphoneshields0806aug06,0,4186497.story%3Fcoll%3Dny-ap-regional-wire

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/