Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Private Mobile Cameras To Catch Speeding Drivers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:19:49 -0400

Private Mobile Cameras To Catch Speeding Drivers
 Contributed by mmasnick on Tues, Sept 30 2003

 Ever been happily driving along and seen some jerk cut you off or was driving
ridiculously fast around you
 (assuming, of course, that you're not the jerk) and wondered where were the
highway patrol was when they
 could actually do some good? Ever wished you could report the offender yourself?
Well, over in Ireland, they're
 considering a policy that would give private companies mobile cameras to place in
unmarked cars to record
 moving traffic violations and record the details so tickets can be sent and
points and fines assessed. In other
 words, we're getting beyond the police and stationary traffic cameras - and
putting traffic law enforcement into
 the hands of private individuals just driving around. Now, of course, take this
the next logical step. If you're
 going to offer such things to private companies, why not private individuals
directly? And, then, why bother
 equipping them with special cameras? Why not just build radar detectors into the
next generation of camera
 phones, and deputize everyone as a traffic cop? Yes, it's a bit of an
exaggeration, but is there a point where
 this goes too far? How do you protest being given a ticket when your accuser is
an anonymous driver
 somewhere else on the road?

=======================================================================
30/09/03

Secret mobile cameras will catch speeding drivers
By Michael O’Farrell

SPEEDING drivers could be caught by unmarked mobile cameras from next year under
new plans devised by the Department of Transport.

Private companies could be cracking down on offenders through the department's
plans for private mobile speed cameras.
According to Transport Minister Seamus Brennan, the way has now been cleared with
the Department of Justice for a tender to be put out for a private company to run
mobile speed cameras from unmarked vehicles.
Under the plan up to 60 vehicles would roam the streets taking footage of speeding
cars in a bid to significantly clamp down on speeding without overburdening Garda
resources.

Private companies would also be asked to provide and run more fixed cameras under
the deal.
Mr Brennan met with Justice Minister Michael McDowell last week to discuss the
details of the proposal and is now ready to proceed to tendering phase.

Speaking on RTÉ radio yesterday, Mr Brennan said the move would form an important
part of the points system, which has already seen 60,000 drivers receive penalty
points for driving offences.

"We have agreed in principle that we will put out to private contract the
operation of these," he said. A spokesman for the minister confirmed the tendering
process had been cleared to go ahead and should not take longer than three months
once initiated.

Mr Brennan also announced his intention to change many of the speed limits
currently in operation which are considered either too fast or too slow.

Confirming the limit on rural secondary roads was probably too high at 60mph while
other larger roadways were too slow, the minister said a draft plan on changing
the speed limits should be completed by the end of the week.

In relation to the controversial height restrictions of the Dublin Port Tunnel, Mr
Brennan indicated there may still be room for the tunnel ceiling to be modified to
facilitate super trucks.

"I'm having a last look at that before we put in the padding to the roof," he
said. "The advice to me is to leave it alone but before we close on it I have a
group having a final look at it." He added it would be possible to alter the
tunnel's height to that of the bridges on the M50.

Meanwhile a final decision on whether the LUAS can be raised on stilts to overpass
the troubled Red Cow roundabout is expected in a matter of weeks.

However, defending the LUAS, Mr Brennan said the much maligned light rail project
was still on budget and would be open on time by next summer.

"All in all I think we should including myself give Luas a break. It will be
jammed, there will be huge demand, it will be a very successful system," he said.

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/ireland/Full_Story/did-sg6uifvbKoMl2sg7OWirIStPSk.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/