Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cold War scientist Ivan A. Getting, father of GPS, dies at 91

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:05:07 -0400

Cold War scientist Ivan A. Getting, father of GPS, dies at 91

ANDREW BRIDGES
Associated Press

Sat, Oct. 18, 2003

LOS ANGELES

Although Ivan A. Getting developed the global positioning satellite
system to keep track of enemy troop movements, the complicated linkage of
global transmitters and clocks has come to be embraced by everyone from
farmers to fishermen.

Indeed, the system had become so commonplace by the time of Getting's
death earlier this month that the scientist himself had a GPS antenna
installed on the roof of his home as a hobby.

"It was originally developed for military use, but it's extraordinary
how its application has spread all over," Getting told The San Diego
Union-Tribune in February after he and Bradford Parkinson of Stanford
University received the National Academy of Engineering's Draper Prize for
their work on the system. The award is engineering's equivalent of the Nobel
Prize.

"It's a passing of an era," Parkinson said Friday. "He spanned quite a
bit of the technical continuity of the country."

Getting died Oct. 11 of undisclosed causes at his Coronado home. He
was 91.

Throughout his career, Getting focused on the science and technology
of war. He worked on the anti-aircraft radar used in World War II to down
German V-1 cruise bombs lobbed at England and, later, on various ballistic
missile systems.

He also contributed to the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration's Gemini and Mercury space programs, as well as the
development of high-power chemical lasers.

In 1960 he co-founded the Aerospace Corp., the El Segundo-based
military research and development company, and ran it until his retirement
in 1977.

"He was a true patriot and he viewed the contribution that science and
technology could make to national defense as something that he could help
with and work on," said George Paulikas, Aerospace's retired executive vice
president.

Getting is best known, however, for envisioning the GPS, a system that
would use multiple satellite transmitters, coupled with extremely precise
clocks, to pinpoint with unparalleled accuracy locations anywhere on Earth.
The satellites that make up its backbone were launched in 1978.

Over the last 10 years, the system has been used by everyone from
fisherman to search crews working to recover fragments of the space shuttle
Columbia. It has steered smart bombs and hikers alike to their respective
destinations and helped farmers estimate crop yields.

Getting is generally considered the visionary behind GPS, and
Parkinson the architect who helped implement the system.

Born Jan. 18, 1912, in New York City and raised in Pittsburgh, Getting
was an Edison scholar at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and later
a Rhodes scholar at Oxford University, where he earned a doctorate in
astrophysics in 1935.

He worked at MIT on the microwave radar systems used to down 95
percent of the V-1 bombers flown against England during World War II, then
turned to teaching after the war. He left MIT to join Raytheon, where he
oversaw development of the Sparrow III and Hawk missile systems.

In the 1950s, he was a part of a Navy-sponsored panel that recommended
development of the submarine-based ballistic missile now known as the
Polaris.

He is survived by his wife, Helen, two sons and a daughter.

A memorial service is planned Sunday in Coronado.

AP researcher Susan James in New York contributed to this report.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-3276998,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/