Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US Skiers Go Wireless

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:07:36 -0500

US Skiers Go Wireless
10.28.03

OLYMPIC VALLEY, CA.

There's no longer a need for avid skiers and snowboarders to call in
sick to
catch a "powder day", nor any reason for them not to extend a vacation a
day
longer.

Exwire,  a wireless Internet service provider catering to underserved
markets, has installed the first wireless network of its kind at a US
ski resort, at Squaw Valley USA. This new network will enable visitors
to access the Internet from wireless (WiFi-enabled) laptops,
PDAs and cell phones -- from the top to the bottom of the resort.

Exwire network users can message, surf and check email, as well as look
up
the latest weather forecast, grooming reports, area activities and more
from
their PDA or laptop within any area Hotspot.

Future expansion of service will allow skiers (or parents with skiing
children) carrying a PDA to see others' locations at the resort, send
them
voice or text messages, get real-time ski area information (like lifts
reporting short lines), report emergencies, and - if users choose to
suffer
a pop up or two - receive happy hour or meal specials.

The wireless coverage area includes much of Squaw Valley USA's base area
and
will be expanded to many upper mountain lifts and facilities. By opening
day, skiers will be able to surf poolside at the facility at the top of
Squaw Valley known as "High Camp" (elevation 8'250).

To get access at any network location users simply log on by choosing
Exwire
's network in their Wi-Fi-enabled device and then launching their web
browser. Instructions then guide them through the payment process.

The wireless network at Squaw Valley USA will also help automate the
resort'
s operations and procedures. One likely application of the network is
ticket
scanning with wireless handhelds - so employees can move around and scan
tickets to keep the lines moving, improving customer service.

In addition to the new mountain services, many valley conference and
hotel
rooms will have wireless connectivity. Broadband is also available to
most
homes and businesses in the valley and Exwire offers unique plans for
owners
of 2nd or seasonal homes.

Exwire is the only broadband provider in Lake Tahoe to offers all home
and
business subscribers free roaming access at hot spot locations - a
program
it calls Community Connect. Exwire customers can easily access the
Internet
from several cafes, ski resorts and other convenient public locations
with
Wi-Fi 802.11 enabled devices.

Community Connect locations in Tahoe include the Tahoe Truckee Airport,
Tahoe Donner Ski Area, Wild Cherries Cafe and the Holiday Inn Express in
Truckee, Syd's Bagelry and Vicky's Cyber Café in Tahoe City. Internet
access
is available through the Exwire network for $2.50 per hour, $8 per day,
$23
per week, or $29 per month.

Exwire's wireless networks also provide broadband service to home and
business customers throughout other parts of North Lake Tahoe, including
neighborhoods in Tahoe City, Truckee, Northstar and Alpine Meadows.

 http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=42644

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/