Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sprint launches PCS Data Link to replace CDPD network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:45:07 -0400

Sprint launches PCS Data Link to replace CDPD network

by Dan Meyer
Oct. 09, 2003

Sprint Corp. launched its PCS Data Link high-speed wireless connectivity solution,
which the company said was designed to provide mobile employees with secure,
remote access to critical corporate resources and replace current CDPD and private
radio networks. 

A number of carriers currently operating CDPD networks, including AT&T Wireless
Services Inc. and Verizon Wireless, have announced plans to shutter those networks
over the next several years in favor of next-generation network access. 

Sprint said the service uses a PCS Connection Card with a laptop computer or
personal digital assistant over Sprint PCS’ nationwide network and will provide
average data throughput of between 50 and 70 kilobits per second compared with the
approximately 10 kbps available through CDPD networks. 

The service will include two offerings including Sprint Frame Relay PVC, which
allows enterprises to connect their corporate networks and Sprint PCS’ network
using a Frame Relay Permanent Virtual Circuit leveraging Sprint’s Global Frame
Relay Network, or an IP-based Virtual Private Network that allows enterprises to
connect to Sprint PCS’ network through Sprint’s Tier 1 IP backbone or through
non-Sprint IP access. 

Sprint said it will offer special deals for current CDPD users designed to offset
the cost associated with migrating to its CDMA-based network, including service
credits and agreements with NetMotion Wireless and Padcom Inc. to offer free
client and server software for customers requiring 128-bit encryption or static IP
addressing. 

 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15395

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/