Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TIA Engages in Critical Infrastructure Security Activities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:41:06 -0400

TIA Engages in Critical Infrastructure Security Activities

Partnership for Critical Infrastructure Security (PCIS) http://www.pcis.org/  The
PCIS is a collaborative effort among participating “critical infrastructure
sector” industry representatives and government entities, initially established to
support cross-sector and interdependency issues among the sectors identified in
United States Presidential Decision Directive-63 (PDD-63)
http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd-63.htm . The PCIS supports the information
security, protection and assurance interests of the identified national critical
infrastructures and key assets that were defined in PDD-63 and recently expanded
with recent Executive Orders, the Homeland Security Act of 2002, and the
President’s National Strategyies for Homeland Security and Cybersecurity. Such
critical sectors include, among others, information technology and communications,
banking and finance, transportation, continuous energy supply, chemical, water and
food supply, and emergency services.
The mission of PCIS is to "coordinate cross-sector initiatives and complement
government and industry efforts to promote the assurance of reliable provision of
critical infrastructure services in the face of emerging risks to economic and
national security." In carrying out its mission, the PCIS provides a forum to
promote dialog between industry and government and among the sector coordinators
on reducing vulnerabilities, mitigating risks, identifying strategic objectives
and sharing sound information security practices.

Membership is comprised of companies and associations affiliated with identified
U.S. critical infrastructure sectors; risk management professionals, information
security professionals and other members of the business community that interact
with these sectors. In addition, federal, state and local government agency
representatives, members of Congress and their staff have participated in working
group discussions and partnership meetings.

PCIS supported industry sector input for the National Strategies for Cyberspace
and Homeland Security; and has worked on an "Effective Practices" compendium
focusing on efforts that can be taken by state and local and federal governments
and industry first responders.

TIA and PCIS

As noted, the PCIS is principally a collaborative effort among participating
critical sector coordinators. Each identified private sector coordinator,
including TIA, serves on the board of directors.
In February 1999, TIA, the United States Telecom Association (USTA) and the
Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) were selected by the
Department of Commerce to serve as Information and Communications (I&C) Sector
Coordinators under PDD 63. The Cellular Telecommunications and Internet
Association (CTIA) joined the other three sector coordinators to represent
wireless service providers. TIA, USTA, ITAA and CTIA work together with the
Department of Homeland Security, Department of Commerce and other organizations to
increase awareness of and protection of the nation's communications
infrastructure.

As an I&C Sector Coordinator, TIA has held a PCIS Board seat since PCIS was formed
and continues to participate and support this cross-sector collaborative effort.
In May 2002, the I&C Sector Coordinators submitted extensive critical
infrastructure protection input to the federal government’s ” National Strategy to
Secure Cyber Space”.

For further information regarding the PCIS, visit its Web site at
http://www.pcis.org.
For additional information regarding TIA's efforts related to homeland security
and critical infrastructure protection, visit
http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/cip/, or contact David Thompson at (703)
907-7749; email [email-masked].

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/