Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Viruses Get Wi-Fi Operators' Attention

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:03:33 -0400

Viruses Get Wi-Fi Operators' Attention
Oct 06, 2003

Software providers and other telecom technology developers didn't let the recent
rash of computer virus episodes to pass without drawing attention to new or
existing anti-virus components of their offerings for wireless devices and
infrastructure. Wireless data network operators have good reason to pay more
attention to anti-virus products-the rapid growth in wirelessusage means that
network hackers and other sources of computer viruses have an equally rapid
growing number of points from which to launch their attempts at sabotage or
infiltration.

The University of California-Berkeley was recently forced to pay close attention
to how computer viruses can affect its "AirBears" Wi-Fi network. "When many of the
[virus-infected laptops] began trying to attack one another on the wireless
network, we basically saw a bottleneck," Chin recalls. "Wireless network
connectivity was poor at best, and in some cause it was unusable. At that point,
we really needed to do something or else AirBears was basically useless." The next
issue of Communications Today sister publication Wireless Data News, available
Wednesday, offers an in-depth look at how viruses are affecting wireless data
systems and what products and services are available to combat the problem.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fct%2Fct10060308%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&Collection=archive&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wdn.hts

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/