Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Home Network Interest Declining, Says Parks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:11:23 -0400

Broadband In Brief

Home Network Interest Declining, Says Parks

In a development that will likely offer a challenge to home networking vendors,
industry analysts Parks Associates suggest that rapid growth in the home network
market over the last two years is beginning to tap out the early adopter segment.
While the recent growth surge, driven largely by inexpensive, relatively easy to
use Wi-Fi equipment, has raised penetration of home networks to 11 percent of all
households in the United States, the percentage of broadband-equipped households
interested in getting a home network has fallen from 14.15 percent in 2001 to
barely over 9 percent now.
Parks principal analyst Michael Greeson argues that the market is running out of
early adopters and is still looking for the right way to sell home networking to
the market's next stage, early mass market consumers. To do so, he says, the
industry must, "analyze current consumer demand, as well as successful business
models, and communicate to the remaining majority of consumers the specific
applications that networks in the home -- whether wired or wireless -- make
possible."
For more on this story and other critical issues affecting the broadband industry,
see the latest edition of Communications Today's sister publication Broadband
Business Report. For details, visit
http://www.telecomweb.com/cgi/catalog/info?BBN. For the latest in breaking news
and industry developments concerning broadband, visit the Broadband Channel of
Telecom Web at http://www.telecomweb.com/broadband/feature.htm.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/