Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Conference call- Bubbling, Mumbling Barry West On The ...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:03:03 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2003 3:21:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Bubbling Barry West On The "Scam Plan" @ 35:37 Mins
> 
> Geezee ..........Why do the let him talk? He always mumbles!
> 
> Bubbling,  Mumbling Barry West is Mumbling something that sounds like if the 
> 1.9
> Ghz spectrum (as requested) is not in the "Scam Plan" deal then their is no
> Financing because the spectrum is part of their "Growth" strategy.
> 
> Barry does not sound too interested in particpaing in the 900 mhz auction.
> I may be wrong......
> Can someone else listen and translate his mumbling please.
> 

BW: We continue to work with the FCC on the 800 MHz retune.  We are 
encouraged that there seems to be a growing agreement that a retune is absolutely 
necessary.  Of course, with any process that involves the FCC, you're not really 
sure until the final result comes out.  But, there is a real issue to be 
resolved in terms of the interference, and the proposal that we've put forward with 
our Consensus partners is really the only viable option.  So, hopefully this 
will be resolved within the coming months.  We're hoping that it won't spill 
into next year but we're not sure, it could spill into the first quarter.

Q: Is there a sign that the Commission is considering the 800 MHz separately 
from the 1.9 GHz?

BW: It's not possible because in order for Nextel to make the contribution 
that we're talking about both in terms of spectrum and in terms of finances.  
We're basically exchanging one method of growing our business with new 
technologies, meaning the Upper 200 channels that we have which is contiguous, for the 
1.9.  So, these two have to be linked, otherwise you can't get a solution, 
that's our honest belief, and we think that we will get a result with the FCC, 
but we'll have to wait.

Q: And does the 900 MHz auction affect the Commission's thinking on this?

BW: We don't believe it affects it and in terms of whether we participate in 
auctions, as you will have seen from our acquisition of the MMDS spectrum, we 
are always looking at spectrum.  When you can achieve a purchase price of 
spectrum at a reasonable rate it's something that we'll always be interested in.  
We are not particularly focusing on that at this point in time.

(I left out the MMDS discussion, because you asked about 1.9 and 900)

Alan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:09:02 -0400

Alan,

I was looking for a translation VERBATIM (un-edited, word-for-word, literally) of
BB's comments below.. BB should be
happy that you cleaned up his jumbled & mumbled words. I italicized & bolded the
words you removed from his comments.

Maybe we are listening to different conference calls. Here is the one I
referenced.

http://web.servicebureau.net/conf/meta?i=1112407209&c=2343&m=was&u=/w_ccbn.xsl&date_ticker=10_16_2003_NXTL

======================================================================================

You heard-

  Q: Is there a sign that the Commission is considering the 800 MHz re tuning
separately from the 1.9 GHz issues?

  BW: It's not possible because in order for Nextel to make the contribution that
we're talking about both in terms of
  spectrum and in terms of finances.  We're basically exchanging one method of
growing our business with new technologies,
  meaning the Upper 200 channels that we have which is contiguous, for the 1.9.So,
these two have to be linked, otherwise you can't get a solution, that's our honest
belief, and we think that we will get a result with the FCC, but we'll have to
wait.

I heard-

BW: "Ah....It's  not possible because of  you know the way in order for Nextel to
to  make the contribution that we're
talking about both in terms of spectrum and in terms of finances ah, we have to
ah, we're basically  exchanging one method
of growing our business with new technologies, meaning the Upper 200 channels that
we have which is contiguous, for the
1.9".So, these two have to be linked, otherwise you can't get a solution, that's
our honest belief, and we think that we will get a result with the FCC, but we'll
have to wait.

[email-masked] wrote:

> BW: We continue to work with the FCC on the 800 MHz retune.  We are encouraged
> that there seems to be a growing agreement that a retune is absolutely
> resolved in terms of the interference, and the proposal that we've put forward
> with our Consensus partners is really the only viable option.  So, hopefully
> this will be resolved within the coming months.  We're hoping that it won't
> spill into next year but we're not sure, it could spill into the first quarter.
>
> BW: It's not possible because in order for Nextel to make the contribution that
> we're talking about both in terms of spectrum and in terms of finances.  We're
> basically exchanging one method of growing our business with new technologies,
> meaning the Upper 200 channels that we have which is contiguous, for the 1.9.
> So, these two have to be linked, otherwise you can't get a solution, that's our
> honest belief, and we think that we will get a result with the FCC, but we'll
> have to wait.
>
> spectrum at a reasonable rate it's something that we'll always be interested
> in.  We are not particularly focusing on that at this point in time.
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:32:41 -0400

Alan,

Now that we a resonable understanding (plus or minus a few ah & you knows) what
Barry said we can get to the content of his comments.  For discussion purposes we
will use your transcription.

meaning the Upper 200 channels that we have which is contiguous, for the 1.9. So,

Barry said Nextel is exchanging the Upper 200 contiguous channels for the 1.9 Ghz.

However doucments presented by the "consenus planners"  include additional
spectrum .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/2003- 02-55

<SNIP>

Following the Consensus Plan realignment, the
remaining Nextel-vacated spectrum in the non-cellularized block at 809-814/854-859

MHz will be available exclusively to public safety applicants for five years. By
reallocating Nextel’s 900 MHz Specialized Mobile Radio (“SMR”) channels for
Business/Land Transportation (“B/ILT”) and traditional SMR use and by providing a
2:1
spectrum incentive for 800 MHz B/ILT and high-site SMR licensees to relocate
voluntarily to the 900 MHz band, the Consensus Plan would clear as much as 2 MHz
of
additional 800 MHz spectrum for public safety use. In addition, the Consensus Plan

includes the reallocation of Nextel’s near-nationwide 4 MHz Guard Band licenses in
the
700 MHz band for public safety .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the 900 mhz & 700 Mhz spectrum now off the table?