Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell: Private Wireless Has Spectrum Options

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:16:27 -0400

Powell: Private Wireless Has Spectrum Options

Oct 13, 2003
WASHINGTON, D.C.

Private wireless operators must deal with spectrum restraints, but they're
not without some tools to better their bandwidth situations, Federal
Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell said here Friday. "The key
thing to remember is that secondary markets mean more rights to you as
licensees," Powell said at the Private Wireless Summit 2003.

He also said the commission will soon open a proceeding to make 255 MHz in
the 5 GHz band available for license-exempt use. However, during a panel
discussion later Friday, Mike Worthington, Motorola's corporate VP and
general manager of Global Safety and Security Solutions, expressed private
wireless operators' prevailing sentiment: "No, there's not enough spectrum."

On the topic of eliminating or reducing interference with public safety
radio operations, Powell didn't give a ringing endorsement to the solution
backed by Nextel Communications along with public safety and private
wireless groups, but opposed by the rest of the commercial wireless
industry. "My dear hope is to find a workable solution to the dilemma in the
very, very near future," Powell said in a 20-minute address.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fct%2Fct10130305%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&Collection=archive&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wdn.hts

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/