Subject: [NEXTEL-1] California Utility Agency Approves 'Last Mile' Telecom Solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:54:56 -0400

California Utility Agency Approves 'Last Mile' Telecom Solution

SAN DIEGO, Oct. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- A decision issued yesterday by the California
Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) should make it cheaper and easier for
Californians to get broadband services.  The CPUC decision allows two major
utilities to install fiber-optic cable in their natural gas pipelines, making more
efficient broadband connections possible by using infrastructure already in place.

"This decision will help alleviate the nuisance and sometimes prohibitive costs
involved when urban streets are trenched to get fiber into buildings," said Mike
Clover, president of Sempra Fiber Links, the company that patented the
fiber-in-gas (FIG(SM)) technology.

"Although there are nearly 40 million miles of fiber-optic cable in the United
States, many people still cannot get access to broadband service," explained
Clover.  Getting fiber from outlying networks into buildings is generally known as
the 'last-mile' problem.  "Demand for broadband service in metropolitan areas is
growing rapidly," added Clover.  "Yet the traditional manner of digging up city
streets and sidewalks to get fiber in the ground has become a significant obstacle
-- enough so that we decided to tackle the problem with FIG."

The CPUC decision grants the requests of Southern California Gas Co. (The Gas
Company) and San Diego Gas & Electric Company (SDG&E) to place fiber-optic cable
in their gas distribution pipelines.  Since gas pipelines are located near most
homes and businesses, telecommunications and cable TV firms will have a new and
economical method to connect to potential customers in Southern California.
Natural gas companies have the option to lease space in their pipelines, thereby
creating a new revenue stream.  Sempra Fiber Links has patented its proprietary
FIG process that enables fiber-optic cable to be installed in working natural gas
lines in a way that does not disrupt gas service.  The cable is encased in a
polyethylene conduit that is inserted into the gas pipelines.  The conduit is the
same material used in natural gas distribution pipes all over the world.  Clover
said that the FIG process is quicker than traditional methods of installing fiber
because of its less invasive and less labor-intensive method.  It also uses
standard practices and procedures proven by gas utility companies for years.

"Because of the advantages, this technology has been certified for use by many of
the largest telecommunications carriers," said Charlie Christ, Sempra Fiber Links'
vice president, general manager of the Western region.  "We are looking at
opportunities throughout the state of California.  For example, The City of Long
Beach, which owns its gas company, Long Beach Energy, installed fiber-optic cable
in gas pipelines earlier this year to transmit and exchange data between city
facilities.

"Now that SoCalGas and SDG&E have been cleared to use FIG(SM) within their
systems, we look forward to many gas utilities in all areas of the United States
requesting to use this technology," said Christ.

Sempra Fiber Links, which operates under Sempra Energy Global Enterprises, the
umbrella for Sempra Energy's growth businesses, builds fiber-optic networks for
telecommunications companies by utilizing the distribution infrastructure of
natural gas utilities.

Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), based in San Diego, is a Fortune 500 energy services
holding company with 2002 revenues of $6 billion.  The Sempra Energy companies'
12,000 employees serve more than 9 million customers in the United States, Europe,
Canada, Mexico, South America and Asia.

Sempra Fiber Links is not the same company as the utilities SDG&E and SoCalGas,
and is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission.

For further information please contact Kitty Corbin Teora or Tom Murnane of Sempra
Fiber Links, +1-877-866-2066.
http://www.telecomweb.com/pressreleases/10-03-2003/0002029549.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/