Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The that it is conducting research to gain crucial insight into wireless operator requirements.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:46:50 -0400

The Software Defined Radio (SDR) Forum announced that it is conducting research to
gain crucial insight into wireless operator requirements.
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Oct2003/5900.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Software
Defined Radio (SDR) Forum

1st
October, 2003

The
Software Defined Radio (SDR) Forum announced that it is conducting research
to gain crucial insight into wireless operator requirements for future
base station architectures. It is anticipated that data collection and
interpretation of the results will be completed and formalized in a
report by early 2004.

The
research initiative -- believed to be the first of its kind in this
specific area -- is being coordinated by the Forum's recently created
Operator Market Requirements Study Group. To help facilitate the data
collection process, the Forum is conducting detailed questioning and
discussion sessions with operator representatives. In addition, the
Forum has created an in-depth questionnaire which is being administered
to operators throughout the world.

"We
are working hard to ensure that not only do we collect data from operators
representing all three ITU regions, but that we also include insight
from operators ranging in size -- large and small, regional and international,"
said Bo Piekarski, chair of the SDR Forum's Operator Market Requirements
Study Group. "Although we are in the early stages of this research,
operator response to our initiative has been positive."

The
first phase of the research initiative -- data collection from wireless
operators that are members of the Forum -- is complete. Phase two --
data collection from the rest of the operator community, will begin
in October. It is anticipated that results will be tallied and interpreted
by November, with a formal report and overview scheduled by early 2004.

The data collected to date reveals the type of insights, comments and
information the SDR Forum was interested in obtaining, explained Piekarski,
who is vice president of business development for TelASIC Communications
-- a developer of RF and analog mixed signal ICs for advanced wireless
applications.

"In
addition to collecting data on future base station architectures and
terminals, we also hope to demonstrate the impact these new architectures
may have on helping operators reduce costs, create new revenue opportunities,
and reduce future investment risks," said Piekarski. "And
judging from the initial data, we are heading in the right direction
to accomplish this."

Observations
based on the Forum's initial data collection from wireless operator
representatives who are members of the Forum include:

--
The majority responded that SDR has strategic importance to their organizations.

-- The majority see the need for an SDR-enabled handset. In fact, a
significant number of positive comments were made by operators in regard
to the role of SDR in handsets.

-- The majority believe that it would be beneficial to have the capability
to dynamically allocate capacity from 2G to 2.5G to 3G.

-- More than half are interested in a radio infrastructure that can
dynamically switch between air interfaces.

-- Half responded that the potential is high for deploying SDR in their
networks.

Numbering more
than 100 organizations, the SDR Forum's membership includes major commercial
wireless operators such as Cingular, NTT DoCoMo, Orange PCS, SK Telecom,
Sprint, Telfonica, and TeliaSonera.

NEC
e606 Phone Review
: Read
MORE

Free
3G Phones

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

New
Spec for 3G Base Stations

Ericsson,
Huawei, NEC, Nortel Networks and Siemens - the parties co-operating in the
CPRI (Common Public Radio Interface) industry initiative

Software
Defined Radio (SDR) Forum

The
Software Defined Radio (SDR) Forum announced that it is conducting research
to gain crucial insight into wireless operator requirements

KPN
Mobile Takes Lucent 3G

Lucent
Technologies announced that it has been awarded a multi-million dollar contract
with KPN Mobile to support the operator's 3G UMTS network.

3G
Football 500

Video
mobile network 3 today unveiled a new £15 a month price plan that
brings video mobile services ...

3G
CDMA2000 Dominates

3G
CDMA2000 subscribers generate significantly higher revenue - up to 50 percent
more - than 2G subscribers.

Real-time
Multi-player Gaming Over 3G

elata
and Synergenix, a leading developer of 2D and 3D gaming technology, have
partnered with Terraplay Systems to provide...

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.