Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FBI Will Use Unique New Network, Sprint Peerless IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:38:14 -0500

FBI Will Use Unique New Network, Sprint Peerless IP

KANSAS CITY, MO USA 10/09/2002

HERNDON, Va., Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Sprint (NYSE: FON, PCS) announced today that
it has been awarded a new 36-month contract to provide secure IP Virtual Private
Network (VPN) services to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) sites across the
country to support the FBI's Digital Collection System Network (DCSNet).  The VPN
services will be delivered using the "government-grade" Sprint peerless IP
network, a unique national network that has no connectivity with the public
Internet.  The value of the contract was not disclosed.

"This contract for the FBI is another example of how important the physical
security features of Sprint's peerless IP network can be for certain types of
projects," said Tony D'Agata, vice president and general manager for Sprint's
Government Systems Division.  "This network allows Sprint to meet the performance
and security demands of government customers in a unique and differentiated way
versus our competitors.  We feel the solution will continue to have tremendous
appeal for agencies in the coming months." The FBI is one of a number of large
agencies to recently take advantage of this new service.   Sprint announced the
build out of this "government-grade" offering earlier this year and has seen
tremendous interest in the network from federal government agencies since the
network was completed this past summer.  The first to deploy a nationwide,
all-digital fiber-optic network, Sprint operates one of the world's few Tier-1 IP
networks.  This OC-192 backbone is implemented as a native IP platform as opposed
to a less efficient IP over ATM architecture used by many providers in the
industry.  The peerless IP network uses this same architecture and provides the
same industry leading performance without connectivity to the Internet.  Sprint
Government Systems Division ( http://www.sprint.com/gsd ) is based in Herndon,
Va., and offers the full range of Sprint product and service offerings for federal
and state government customers.

About Sprint

Sprint is a global integrated communications provider serving more than 26 million
customers in over 100 countries.  With approximately 70,000 employees worldwide
and nearly $27 billion in annual revenues, Sprint is widely recognized for
developing, engineering and deploying state-of-the-art network technologies,
including the United States' first nationwide all-digital, fiber-optic network and
an award-winning Tier 1 Internet backbone.  Sprint provides local communications
services in 39 states and the District of Columbia and operates the largest
100-percent digital, nationwide PCS wireless network in the United States. For
more information, visit http://www.sprint.com .

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/