Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cingular swaps Michigan license for Dobson’s Maryland license

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:04:55 -0400

Cingular swaps Michigan license for Dobson’s Maryland license
By Dan Meyer
October 14 12:56:00, 2003

Cingular Wireless L.L.C. signed a definitive agreement with Dobson Communications
Corp. to exchange ownership of Cingular’s Northwest Michigan cellular property
with Dobson’s Eastern Shore of Maryland cellular property. In addition to the
property swap, Cingular said it will pay Dobson $23 million and transfer its
1-percent ownership interests in three cellular properties in Texas and Oklahoma
to Dobson, which is the majority owner of the markets.

The exchange involves Cingular’s Michigan RSA 5 cellular license, which Dobson
currently manages for Cingular and which covers 169,400 potential customers in
Cadillac, Manistee and Ludington, for Dobson’s Maryland RSA 2 cellular license
covering approximately 471,700 pops in Ocean City, Salisbury, Easton and
Cambridge. Dobson is expected to lose approximately 17,000 subscribers following
the swap. In addition, Cingular will transfer its minority ownership in Texas RSA
2 and Oklahoma RSAs 5 and 7 to Dobson.

“Maryland’s Eastern Shore is a key market for Cingular,” said Mark Feidler, chief
operating officer for Cingular. “This will enhance our service for existing
customers throughout the Maryland and [District of Columbia] markets, and make
Cingular available to an entirely new set of potential customers.”
Feidler added that the deal would also reduce Cingular’s roaming costs.

Dobson noted the deal would solidify its holdings in Michigan and bolster its
local service offerings.
“This transaction expands our Michigan footprint with an attractive market that is
adjacent to Michigan RSA 3, which we already own, and it should enable us to
enhance the profitability of our local service business,” said Everett Dobson,
chairman, chief executive officer and president of Dobson, which also owns
Michigan RSAs 1 and 10.

The carrier added that it does not expect the transaction, which is scheduled to
close during the first quarter of next year, to have a material impact on its
operating earnings or capital expenditure expectations for next year.

In connection with the transaction, both companies said they will assist one
another in building out GSM/GPRS technology in the Maryland RSA 2 and Michigan RSA
5 markets to go along with plans by both carriers to overlay their legacy TDMA
networks.
Dobson made similar market consolidation deals with AT&T Wireless Services Inc.
late last year, foregoing its California properties for cellular markets in
Alaska.
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15449

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:20:00 -0400

This what Nextel needs to do.....instead of trying to "Scam" everyone for channels.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->