Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon on Nextel's 'Scam Plan"- FAIR MARKET VALUE OF THE CERTAIN PORTIONS OF FCC LICENSED WIRELESS SPECTRUM PROPOSED FOR REALIGNMENT BY NEXTEL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:37:49 -0500

DETERMINATION OF THE
FAIR MARKET VALUE OF THE CERTAIN PORTIONS OF FCC LICENSED WIRELESS SPECTRUM
PROPOSED FOR REALIGNMENT BY NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
UNDER FCC WT DOCKET NO. 02-55
AS OF DECEMBER 31, 2002

Prepared for:
Verizon Wireless
Bedminster, New Jersey

822 South Avenue West
Westfield, NJ 07090-1460
Telephone 908.317.5757
Fax 908.317.4434
www.kanereece.com

October 23, 2003

Mr. Donald C. Brittingham
Director - Wireless/Spectrum Policy
Verizon Communications
1300 I Street NW
Suite 400W
Washington, DC 20005
Mr. John Bareham
Director - Business Development
Verizon Wireless
180 Washington Valley Road
Bedminster, NJ 07921

Dear Messrs. Brittingham & Bareham:

Kane Reece Associates, Inc. has completed an analysis and study of the fair market
value of the frequency spectrum associated with the December 2002 proposal by
Nextel Communications, Inc. ("Nextel") before the Federal Communications Commission
("FCC" or the "Commission") to modify its licenses in conjunction with a
realignment of the 800 MHz band. The specific proposal is under FCC WT Docket No. 02-55,
In the Matter of Improving Public Safety Communications in the 800 MHz Bank,
Consolidating the 900 MHz Industrial/Land Transportation and Business Pool Channels. 
(to be referred to as the "Nextel Proposal").

Nextel Communications has proposed to the Federal Communications Commission
("FCC") that it relinquish a substantial amount of its frequency spectrum in
return for other frequency spectrum. Nextel claims its proposal will make
additional spectrum available for public safety communications and reduce
interference to public safety communications.

The purpose of our analysis and appraisal will be for submission to the FCC in
support of the "Comments of Verizon Wireless to Supplemental Comments of the
Consensus Parties", dated February 10, 2003. This report will determine the fair
market value of the subject spectrum addressed in the Nextel Proposal. This is the
sole purpose of our report.

This report develops an estimate of the fair market value of the spectrum Nextel
proposes to give up and the value of the spectrum it proposes to acquire, and
concludes that the net financial gain to Nextel under its proposal would be $6.5
billion.  The following Executive Summary outlines our analysis and conclusions
found in our appraisal report.

Respectively Yours,

KANE REECE ASSOCIATES, INC.

More:
http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6515287448

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ybSovB/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/