Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cox proposes faster funding for responders

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:45:56 -0400

Cox proposes faster funding for  responders

BY Dibya Sarkar
Oct. 14, 2003

Rep. Christopher Cox (R-Calif.), chairman of the House Select Committee on
Homeland Security, last week introduced a bill that would streamline and expedite
what critics describe as a cumbersome process for getting homeland security funds
to first responders.

H.R. 3266 -- also called the Faster and Smarter Funding For First Responders Act
-- essentially would reduce a 12-step grant, reducing the process to two steps. It
would allow states and regions to apply for grants, which would be awarded based
on the greatest threat to an area rather than a population-based formula.

More than a month ago, Cox and other government officials and homeland security
experts complained that the grant process was fragmented and the formulas were
"complicated and eccentric" because they were built for political needs.

"Thus the grant formula for fighting fires now serves double duty for homeland
security," he told a Senate Judiciary subcommittee Sept. 3. "But this and other
such formulas have nothing to do with objective measurements of the relative risk
of terrorist attacks.  Inserting intelligence into the equation for our emergency
responders is where [Congress] can and should exert its influence."

Cox's bill doesn't touch federal grants -- which are specifically identified in
the bill -- existing prior to Sept. 11, 2001, that already help local law
enforcement, firefighters, ports, emergency medical services or public health
missions. It does affect homeland security grant programs after that date.

Under the bill, funds could be used for buying new or upgrading existing equipment
and training
on it, as well as training and exercises related to prevention and emergency
preparedness. Funds
cannot be used to construct buildings. The Homeland Security Department's Office
of State and
Local Coordination would administer the funds.

Applicants would have to provide information on how the money would be used,
beneficiaries,
applicable mutual aid agreements, descriptions of the threat posed and a statement
explaining
why the grant would not be a traditional first responder mission.

Recipients, who would have to match 25 percent of the funds received, must pass 80
percent of
the funds to local governments, first responders and other local groups specified
in the application within 45 days of receipt.

The bill creates an advisory council that will advise Homeland Security officials
whether a
federal standard is needed for any particular first responder equipment or
training. It also
proposes to modify the color-coded Homeland Security Advisory System so warnings
can be
issued in specific geographical areas based on intelligence on the specific threat
conditions.

In late September, Rep. Jim Turner (D-Texas), ranking member on the House Select
Committee on Homeland Security, proposed H.R. 3158, a bill called the Preparing
America to
Respond Effectively Act of 2003. The proposed legislation would determine first
responder
needs and base future funding on those priorities, revise the color coded threat
system, provide
interoperable communications for first responders, and require equipment and
training standards
be established.
http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/1013/web-cox-10-14-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/