Subject: [NEXTEL-1] California Rail Tests Wi-Fi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:47:15 -0400

California Rail Tests Wi-Fi
Oct 16, 2003

California's Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority is conducting a three-month
trial of Wi-Fi service, using PointShot Wireless' technology, for Amtrak's
170-mile Capitol Corridor intercity train service. Amtrak's Capitol Corridor,
which operates between the Sierra foothills, Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco
and San Jose, Calif., is the first U.S. intercity rail operator to offer Wi-Fi as
a differentiated onboard service. It installed Ottawa, Ontario-based PointShot
Wireless' RailPoint Wi-Fi technology on one car to gauge demand for Wi-Fi,
establish operational parameters and determine the feasibility of expanding the
program. The Wi-Fi service debuted on Train 534 Wednesday, and will cycle through
other trains within the service.

Informal polling of passengers by Amtrak found that customers, many of whom are
technologically savvy, are eager to be more productive while in transit, leaving
more time for family and other interests when they arrive home. The first month of
the Wi-Fi pilot will be free, with usage charges for the remaining two months.
Amtrak's Capitol Corridor passengers need Wi-Fi-enabled laptops or PDAs to access
the service.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fct%2Fct10160304%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&Collection=archive&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wdn.hts

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/