Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: iDEN in Puerto Rico

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:00:04 EDT

Well, that's probably a little too detailed to most to digest.  Here's a 
summary:

1.  High Tech, a local SMR operator in PR, is the SMR A Block licensee.  
We've been told that they didn't realize when they were bidding that they were 
bidding on encumbered spectrum;

2.  Nextel is the SMR B Block licensee.  I'd love to tell you what their 
current plans are, cuz I wish I knew, but I don't (it seems to have changed a 
couple of times).

3.  North Sight, a local SMR operator in PR (and client of our's) is the C 
Block licensee.  North Sight also has a number of incumbent 800 MHz licenses, as 
well as a couple of 900 MHz SMR licenses.

4.  Preferred bought all but one of the General Category auction licenses.  
Preferred also bought a number of incumbent licensees that had obtained their 
licenses through application mills.

5.  Nextel bought the SMR "interleaved" auction licenses at 856-860 MHz.

6.  Communications & Industrial Electronics (also a client) is also a 
significant holder of incumbent SMR spectrum.

We would agree with the writer, that PR seems to represent a very attractive 
iDEN market, particularly if the reports that we've heard of poor cellular 
coverage are true.

Alan T.

In a message dated 10/23/2003 8:10:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
*****@*** wrote: 
Marcel, 
You seem to be extremely up-to-date with Nextel and its business.  Therefore, 
I have a question: 
Why is iDEN not yet developed in Puerto Rico?  Afterall, the Puerto Rico/U.S. 
Virgin Islands EA market is one of the largest in the nation. 
I would like to talk with you about this. 
Please reply. 
*********@*****

For BEA174 Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I suspect this will be a "Nextel Parters" coverage area. 
It appears most of Nextel's buildout dates are 
Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
  
At a glance looks like they players are........................... 
( the FCC sever was down at the time of your request so I used 
http://tk.com/wireless/smr/b174.shtml) 
I will call Reston tomorrow for some more info 
  
   High Tech Communications Services, Inc. 
CL 
L00000912 High Tech Communications Services, Inc. 
BEA174A0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               861.000-861.500  
816.000-816.500 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/01/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/01/2005 
  
Block B -  60 Channels 
WPOH416                                         06/17/1998   Expires  
06/17/2008 
L         NEXTEL LICENSE HOLDINGS 5, INC. 
CL        NEXTEL LICENSE HOLDINGS 5, INC. 
BEA174B0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               861.500-863.000  
816.500-818.000 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            06/17/2001   Complete 
06/13/2002 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            06/17/2003   Complete 
06/13/2002 
  
Block C - 120 Channels 
WPLM205                                         03/10/1998   Expires  
03/10/2008 
L         North Sight Communications, Inc. 
CL        SHULMAN, ROGERS, GANDAL, PORDY & ECKER, P.A. 
L00001557 North Sight Communications, Inc. 
BEA174C0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               863.000-866.000  
818.000-821.000 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/10/2001   Complete 
02/25/2002 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/10/2003   Complete 
02/25/2002 
  
Block D  - 25 Channels 
WPRQ948                                         12/20/2000   Expires  
12/20/2010 
L         Preferred Acquisitions, Inc. 
CL 
CL        Preferred Communication Systems, Inc. 
BEA174D0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               851.012-851.612  
806.012-806.612 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            12/20/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            12/20/2005 
  
Block DD - 25 Channels 
WPRQ954                                         12/20/2000   Expires  
12/20/2010 
L         Preferred Acquisitions, Inc. 
CL 
CL        Preferred Communication Systems, Inc. 
BEA174DD0 Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               851.637-852.237  
806.637-807.237 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            12/20/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            12/20/2005 
  
Block E  - 25 Channels 
WPRQ962                                         12/20/2000   Expires  
12/20/2010 
L         Preferred Acquisitions, Inc. 
CL 
CL        Preferred Communication Systems, Inc. 
BEA174E0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               852.262-852.862  
807.262-807.862 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            12/20/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            12/20/2005 
  
Block EE - 25 Channels 
WPRQ967                                         12/20/2000   Expires  
12/20/2010 
L         Preferred Acquisitions, Inc. 
CL 
CL        Preferred Communication Systems, Inc. 
BEA174EE0 Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               852.887-853.487  
807.887-808.487 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            12/20/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            12/20/2005 
  
Block F  - 25 Channels 
WPRQ972                                         12/20/2000   Expires  
12/20/2010 
L         Preferred Acquisitions, Inc. 
CL 
CL        Preferred Communication Systems, Inc. 
BEA174F0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               853.501-854.112  
808.512-809.112 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            12/20/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            12/20/2005 
  
Block FF - 25 Channels 
WPRQ760                                         12/20/2000   Expires  
12/20/2010 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174FF0 Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               854.137-854.737  
809.137-809.737 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            12/20/2003 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            12/20/2005 
  
Blocks G to V - 5 Channels Each 
WPSA564                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174G0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch201 Ch241 Ch281 Ch321 Ch341 
 856.000-856.025 857.000-857.025 858.000-858.025 859.000-859.025 
860.000-860.025 
 811.000-811.025 812.000-812.025 813.000-813.025 814.000-814.025 
815.000-815.025 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSA628                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174H0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch202 Ch242 Ch282 Ch322 Ch342 
 856.025-856.050 857.025-857.050 858.025-858.050 859.025-859.050 
860.025-860.050 
 811.025-811.050 812.025-812.050 813.025-813.050 814.025-814.050 
815.025-815.050 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSA691                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174I0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch203 Ch243 Ch283 Ch323 Ch343 
 856.050-856.075 857.050-857.075 858.050-858.075 859.050-859.075 860.050-
860.075 
 811.050-811.075 812.050-812.075 813.050-813.075 814.050-814.075 
815.050-815.075 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSA759                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174J0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch204 Ch244 Ch284 Ch324 Ch344 
 856.075-856.100 857.075-857.100 858.075-858.100 859.075-859.100 
860.075-860.100 
 811.075-811.100 812.075-812.100 813.075-813.100 814.075-814.100 
815.075-815.100 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSA821                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174K0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch205 Ch245 Ch285 Ch325 Ch345 
 856.100-856.125 857.100-857.125 858.100-858.125 859.100-859.125 
860.100-860.125 
 811.100-811.125 812.100-812.125 813.100-813.125 814.100-814.125 
815.100-815.125 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSA886                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174L0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch206 Ch246 Ch286 Ch326 Ch346 
 856.125-856.150 857.125-857.150 858.125-858.150 859.125-859.150 
860.125-860.150 
 811.125-811.150 812.125-812.150 813.125-813.150 814.125-814.150 
815.125-815.150 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSA954                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174M0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch207 Ch247 Ch287 Ch327 Ch347 
 856.150-856.175 857.150-857.175 858.150-858.175 859.150-859.175 
860.150-860.175 
 811.150-811.175 812.150-812.175 813.150-813.175 814.150-814.175 
815.150-815.175 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB224                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174N0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch208 Ch248 Ch288 Ch328 Ch348 
 856.175-856.200 857.175-857.200 858.175-858.200 859.175-859.200 
860.175-860.200 
 811.175-811.200 812.175-812.200 813.175-813.200 814.175-814.200 
815.175-815.200 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB294                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174O0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch221 Ch261 Ch301 Ch341 Ch361 
 856.500-856.525 857.500-857.525 858.500-858.525 859.500-859.525 
860.500-860.525 
 811.500-811.525 812.500-812.525 813.500-813.525 814.500-814.525 
815.500-815.525 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB364                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174P0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch222 Ch262 Ch302 Ch342 Ch362 
 856.525-856.550 857.525-857.550 858.525-858.550 859.525-859.550 
860.525-860.550 
 811.525-811.550 812.525-812.550 813.525-813.550 814.525-814.550 
815.525-815.550 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB432                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174Q0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch223 Ch263 Ch303 Ch343 Ch363 
 856.550-856.575 857.550-857.575 858.550-858.575 859.550-859.575 
860.550-860.575 
 811.550-811.575 812.550-812.575 813.550-813.575 814.550-814.575 
815.550-815.575 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB499                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174R0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch224 Ch264 Ch304 Ch344 Ch364 
 856.575-856.600 857.575-857.600 858.575-858.600 859.575-859.600 
860.575-860.600 
 811.575-811.600 812.575-812.600 813.575-813.600 814.575-814.600 
815.575-815.600 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB567                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174S0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch225 Ch265 Ch305 Ch345 Ch365 
 856.600-856.625 857.600-857.625 858.600-858.625 859.600-859.625 
860.600-860.625 
 811.600-811.625 812.600-812.625 813.600-813.625 814.600-814.625 
815.600-815.625 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB635                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174T0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch226 Ch266 Ch306 Ch346 Ch366 
 856.625-856.650 857.625-857.650 858.625-858.650 859.625-859.650 
860.625-860.650 
 811.625-811.650 812.625-812.650 813.625-813.650 814.625-814.650 
815.625-815.650 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB703                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174U0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl. 
I                                               Ch227 Ch267 Ch307 Ch347 Ch367 
 856.650-856.675 857.650-857.675 858.650-858.675 859.650-859.675 
860.650-860.675 
 811.650-811.675 812.650-812.675 813.650-813.675 814.650-814.675 
815.650-815.675 
          Buildout Coverage Date (1)            03/21/2004 
          Buildout Coverage Date (2)            03/21/2006 
WPSB773                                         03/21/2001   Expires  
03/21/2011 
L         Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
CL        Nextel Communications 
L00001014 Nextel License Holdings 5, Inc. dba Nextel Communications 
BEA174V0  Puerto Rico & Virgin Isl.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:25:07 -0400

Nextel Partners recently Announced Proposed Offering of $125 Million Convertible
Senior Notes. This is part of funding for additional buildout & operating expenses
(Not necessary for Puerto Rico).  Looks like they have sometime to finish their
buildout.

[email-masked] wrote:

> summary: 1.  High Tech, a local SMR operator in PR, is the SMR A Block
> licensee.  We've been told that they didn't realize when they were bidding that
> they were bidding on encumbered spectrum; 2.  Nextel is the SMR B Block
> licensee.  I'd love to tell you what their current plans are, cuz I wish I knew,
> but I don't (it seems to have changed a couple of times). 3.  North Sight, a
> local SMR operator in PR (and client of our's) is the C Block licensee.  North
> Sight also has a number of incumbent 800 MHz licenses, as well as a couple of
> 900 MHz SMR licenses. 4.  Preferred bought all but one of the General Category
> auction licenses.  Preferred also bought a number of incumbent licensees that
> had obtained their licenses through application mills. 5.  Nextel bought the SMR
> "interleaved" auction licenses at 856-860 MHz. 6.  Communications & Industrial
> Electronics (also a client) is also a significant holder of incumbent SMR
> spectrum. We would agree with the writer, that PR seems to represent a very
> attractive iDEN market, particularly if the reports that we've heard of poor
> cellular coverage are true. Alan T.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/