Subject: [NEXTEL-1] How Motorola Prepares to Support Local Private Communications Systems During Emergencies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 05:03:38 -0400

How Motorola Prepares to Support Local Private Communications Systems During
Emergencies
Motorola Prepares to Support Local Private Communications Systems as Hurricane
Isabel
Makes Landfall
Thursday September 18, 7:21 pm ET

Second Major Crisis to Hit Eastern Seaboard in Last 45 Days
Highlights Critical Role of Private Communications Networks

During Emergencies

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Sept. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- As Hurricane Isabel makes
landfall along the North Carolina coast today, Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT - News)
is proactively working to ensure its customers' private communications systems
remain fully operational in the event of power outages and storm damage. Over the
past several days, field support and product teams have been placed on high alert,
preparing to build and ship equipment and resources to customers, as well as
undertake facility repair and recovery as needed.

"We have all the necessary
resources in place to help
customers maintain the integrity of
their private communications
networks in what will be the second
major crisis to hit the Northeast in
the last two months," said Jim
Screeden, Motorola
Communications and Electronics,
Inc. Vice President, Systems
Integration Operations. "While no
major interruptions in service have
been reported this afternoon, we
stand ready to deploy all available
resources to support public safety
and first responder communications
systems in the event of power loss
or equipment storm damage."

In addition to staying in close contact with affected customers and suppliers,
Motorola has activated its Public Safety Emergency Ordering System. The system
allows for immediate equipment shipping and priority handling of all customer
requests. Already six equipment orders have been fulfilled and shipped to North
Carolina and Virginia.  Specifically, Motorola shipped 100 XTS 5000(TM) portable
radios to Charlotte for potential use by the North Carolina Highway Patrol, 17
MT2000(TM) radios to the Army National Guard in Hartford, Conn., and two
Quantar(TM) UHF base stations to the Dare County Sheriff in Raleigh, N.C. In
addition, the North Carolina Highway Patrol has offered to airlift Motorola
equipment and supplies to any agency needing immediate assistance.

Motorola's System Support Center, responsible for the 24-hour daily real- time
monitoring of more than 600 SmartZone® communications networks nationwide, offers
a special 800 number for customers to request and secure emergency resources.
Center systems also are used to dial into 911 and SmartNet(TM) networks
potentially affected by the hurricane hourly to assess system availability,
functionality and general operation. The Center continues to proactively notify
Motorola Maintenance customers of impending service interruptions due to the
weather or other breaking news.
Three Motorola mobile trunked communications systems stand ready to be deployed to
any city or county affected by Isabel to ensure critical public safety, utility
and government communications networks remain operational. Currently, a mobile,
five-channel 800 MHz trunked radio site located in Savannah, Ga., is being
programmed in conventional mode to support local mutual aid systems and will be
transported to Raleigh later today as a precautionary measure. Two others located
in Albany, N.Y., and Columbia, S.C., will also be deployed as required.

Motorola's proactive preparation for Isabel's arrival follows the company's
leadership in responding to other large-scale crisis situations in the past. For
example, Motorola deployed emergency communications systems, resources and support
to public safety agencies in the wake of Hurricane Andrew; the first bombing of
the World Trade Center in New York in 1993; the Branch Davidian stand-off in Waco,
Texas; Hurricane Georges; the San Diego, Calif., high school shootings; the
Oklahoma City federal building bombing; and the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks
in New York, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania.

"In an emergency, private communications networks remain one of the most powerful
tools public safety and government agencies have at their disposal to maintain the
safety and well-being of first responders and the citizens they protect," said
Screeden.  "The recent Northeast blackout further demonstrates the value of these
networks with many large customers, including the statewide Michigan Public Safety
Communications System (MPSCS) and New York City's Consolidated Edison, reporting
no system interruptions throughout the duration of the event."

Motorola will continue to monitor, support and protect the integrity of its
customers' communications networks as Hurricane Isabel diminishes in strength,
Screeden said.
"Despite reported power outages in Chesapeake, N.C., and Virginia Beach, Va., as
well as extensive flooding, our customers have maintained their communications
capabilities with no serious system issues reported," said Screeden.

For more information on Motorola's portfolio of communications systems and
solutions visit Motorola's website at www.motorola.com .

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030918/cgth071_1.html

Documenting Nextel's Network Performance
http://members.fortunecity.com/marcelrf/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/