Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Orascom awards Motorola 40 million dollar Iraq contract

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:28:57 -0500

Title
:
Orascom awards Motorola 40 million dollar Iraq contract
By
:
Date
:
25 October 2003 2329 hrs (SST)
URL
:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world_business/view/54069/1/.html

CAIRO : Egypt's Orascom Telecom, holder of the mobile telephone license in Iraq,
said it had awarded US telecoms giant Motorola Inc. a 40-million-dollar contract
to provide network equipment.

Motorola will furnish transmission equipment and Global System for Mobile (GSM)
stations to install the cellular network "Irakna" in Baghdad and in the middle of
the country, Orascom Telecom CEO Naguib Sawires said Saturday.
The agreement lasts two years, the period of the GSM license obtained by Orascom
on October 6 from the ruling coalition in Iraq.

Sawires said 100,000 phone lines will be operational within two months, adding
that Irakna will create 2 million additional lines during the duration of the
contract.

Irakna is one of three regional networks that will form the first national Iraqi
mobile telephone network.
The other two will be installed by Asia Cell and Atheer Tel.

"We are content to participate in the development of a new Iraq, and we will do
our best to contribute to its propsperity," Sawires said.

The GSM license is one of the largest investment opportunities in the country
since the war's end, according to experts.
The US company MCI installed a small network covering a six kilometer (4 mile)
region around Baghdad's center for members of the US-British administration.

Iraq had no cellular network before the war.

- AFP

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/