Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police Director says radio system is inadequate

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:55:00 -0400

Posted by: George Metaxas, 10/7/03,

Police Director says radio system is inadequate

As Memphis annexes more areas, police radios are
having a tougher time reaching towers, sometimes
putting officers in dangerous situations. The cost of
a radio upgrade is 18 million dollars. Several
councilmen say there might be a cheaper way.

There is no debate. Memphis Police need to
upgrade their radio systems. James Bolden, Police
Director said, "Our communications system is
inadequate and there is definitely a need for an
upgrade on it." The question is how much to pay
and who to hire to do the job. While police, fire and
finance officials have been working on an upgrade
plan for more than a year, they've been dealing
with only one company, Motorola. Several
councilmen say that's not the way they do business.

Mayor Herenton, along with city financial officers, say they're saving several
million dollars using Motorola, the company that built the original radio system.
Councilmen Jack Sammons and Joe Brown aren't so sure they're getting a deal. Brown
said, "You saying take this, do this and this is what you gonna do 'cause you seem
to be the master and we the slaves today."

Police and Fire officials say the delay only makes officers jobs more dangerous.
Those who watch finances say a delay could make a state of the art system more
expensive. "This system will position Memphis to move toward the national standard
in its public communications standard."

Councilmen want more info and price quotes, so they'll wait two more weeks to make
any decisions. At the same time, as the city talks about an upgrade, the sheriff's
department is trying to get a new system because their's is also falling apart.

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=1473107

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/