Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel's Public Safety Wireless Solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:59:43 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Nextel's Public Safety Wireless Solution 

Unless they have changed the system recently, a 'group' is limited to 25
users, that may not be a problem.

Getting the 26th unit into a group is a bigger challange.

Keep in mind, Nextel and cellular companies consider push-to-talk to be
usually a one-to-one connection, in other words a simplex speed dialing
option.

Can yout imagine having to look at a small dimly lit handset screen and
selecting each unit in a group one by one during an emergency like ALL
first responders have to deal with?

Like I've said before, anyone who would select a consumer grade,
for-profit sevice provider as a public safety communications service is
the same person who would buy wooden bullets because they superficially
look the same.
===================================================

Art Snapper wrote:
> 
> So what happens when the capacity of the nearby sites is exceeded by one or
> more members of your group? Is the message dropped? Not that circuit
> capacity would EVER be an issue during a major event or disaster!
> 
> Art Snapper

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/