Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Braile based cell phone to get speech interface

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 05:38:10 -0400

Braile based cell phone to get speech interface

Babel-Infovox has announced that ALVA, specialized in the development and
production of Braille displays and has successfully integrated and deployed
Babel’s PocketBabil Text-to-Speech engine into its new Mobile Phone Organizer 5500
(MPO 5500). Combining a GSM cell phone, organizer, and essential notetaker
functionality, the Mobile Phone Organizer (MPO) is the first personal wireless
device of its kind for visually impaired individuals. The MPO is a compact, easy
to carry all-in-one device for mobile situations that can be used to make phone
calls, send SMS messages, look up information and take notes. All functions
including menus, contact information, SMS messages, services, and system
information are made accessible in Braille and with speech.

ALVA has chosen Babel’s PocketBabil in US & UK English, French,
German, Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian for its low memory
requirements and accuracy.

Dr. R.G.F. Erens, Manager R&D of Alva B.V. comments: “We have selected Babel’s
PocketBabil for the MPO 5500 because of a its good quality-performance record.
Thereby a complete development toolkit and professional support is essential for a
smooth integration of PocketBabil in our application.” He continued “The state of
the art technology used in the MPO, Microsoft Windows CE 4.1 and Intel Xscale
processor was challenging for both ALVA R&D and Babel-Infovox R&D. Working closely
together, the integration and optimalisation of PocketBabil for our application
was achieved according to planning.”

PocketBabil is the embedded text-to-speech version of Babil, a high-quality
multi-lingual TTS synthesizer, based on Babel’s unique Multi Band Resynthesis
Overlap Add (MBROLA) concatenative algorithm. This patented technology is
available in 18 languages. PocketBabil can produce any utterance in a given voice
or language and features high segmental quality and fluidity of speech. It is a
software only system that requires very few hardware resources in terms of memory
and computational load. This TTS solution enables extremely fast development of
new voices and languages.

Posted to the site on 07-Oct-03
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9865.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/