Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ultimate mobility

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:43:55 -0400

http://www.nwfusion.com/buzz/2003/0929mobile.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<A href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=top;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=013949?">
<IMG src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=top;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=013949?" border="0" width="468" height="60"></A>

Research centers:

Applications

Convergence

LANs

Net/Systems Mgmt

NOSes

Outsourcing

Routers/Switches

Security

Storage

WAN Services

Web/E-business

Wireless/Mobile

All channels
Enterprise nets
Service providers
SMB nets
News
Reviews
Opinion
Newsletters

Advanced
search

Help | Site map

<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=search;sz=100x32;tile=2;ord=013949?">
<IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=search;sz=100x32;tile=2;ord=013949?" border="0" height="32" width="100"></A>

Daily News

Vendor News

Newsletter Archives

This Week in print

Tests/reviews

Buyer's guides

White papers

Special Reports

Product Central

Webcasts

Columnists

Forums

Weblogs

Network World Store

•

VeriSign suspends controversial service

•

Cisco fits IP call system to branches

•

Security suit against Microsoft could turn huge

•

SGI compares Linux, Unix source code

•

Cisco warns its WLAN security can be cracked

All of today's news

Ultimate mobility

Wi-Fi is the rage today, but the real mobile story lies in the convergence of multiple network types, application persistence
and multi-modal devices.
By Terry Sweeney
Network World, 09/29/03

From MAN and LAN to WLAN

Mobilize those apps

Recipe for clunky devices?

The converged mobile future

What to ask wireless vendors

You wake up and, after sufficient amounts of caffeine, turn on your mobile network device of choice. Five e-mails grace your
in-box, three of them urgent. A quick glance at your workgroup buddy list reveals your boss is already in the office, but
the icon next to her name indicates she doesn't want calls. Your calendaring application shows a customer meeting at 9 a.m.,
so you tap the "Today" icon and an alert goes out to your staff and colleagues that you'll be out of the office till late
morning.

Later, arriving for your appointment, you finish a voice mail to a friend about basketball tickets. Your mobile device, detecting
your rights on the customer's Wi-Fi network, seamlessly moves the call from the your cellular network to the wireless LAN.
You don't get dinged for the roaming, thanks to the chip-level authentication your mobile device uses and the corporate roaming
agreement. When your meeting starts, your mobile device knows not to ring audibly, although color-coded instant messages might
pop up.

Advertisement:

<A href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=imu;sz=336x280;tile=4;ord=013949?">
<IMG src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=imu;sz=336x280;tile=4;ord=013949?" border="0" width="336" height="280"></A>

Cool, yes. Feasible, no. You've got all the pieces at your disposal and can use some in combination today, but the applications,
the devices and the network infrastructure are not yet agile enough to support such a connected user. Such convergence is
at least three years away, analysts and users estimate.

As George Surdu, director of IT infrastructure for Ford Motor in Detroit, says: "We've got it all - Wi-Fi, bar-code scanners,
cell phones, PDAs - but it's tough plugging it all together."

From MAN and LAN to WLAN

Disparate wireless networks likely will come together before convergence at the application and device levels.

In today's wireless WAN world, AT&T Wireless and Cingular could support roaming between their networks, which rely on Time
Division Multiple Access (TDMA) technology. But they couldn't offer roaming between their networks and the Code Division Multiple
Access (CDMA)-based network of either Sprint PCS or Verizon Wireless. The TDMA and CDMA systems send and receive information differently.
But as silicon changes and multi-mode phones become available - already happening in Europe and expected stateside next year
- users will be able to roam between TDMA and CDMA networks worldwide. Carrier adoption of the International Telecommunication
Union 3G digital cellular technology also will facilitate such roaming. Besides being able to handle TDMA and CDMA interfaces, 3G
networks can carry data at speeds ranging from 128K to 2M bit/sec. U.S. carriers are expected to begin 3G rollouts next year.

Cellular providers, ever keen to exploit a revenue opportunity in an otherwise flat commodity market, also now are focusing
outside their traditional WAN purview. Most are trying to figure out how to get into the Wi-Fi hot-spot business so their
users will be able to tap the cellular network for voice calls and high-speed hot-spot access to corporate resources or the
Internet. IEEE 802.11-based hot spots offer access at rates of 11M or 54M bit/sec, depending on what version of the wireless
Ethernet standard is supported.

"We view 3G and Wi-Fi as complementary," says Bill Stone, executive director of technology development for Verizon Wireless.
To that end, the carrier in August said it would work with hot-spot builder Wayport to provide Verizon users with access to hundreds of hot spots nationwide. Sprint PCS cut a similar deal with Wayport and Airpath Wireless for 2,100 hot spots by year-end.

Hot spots might work well for itinerant users, but they will remain as access points for fixed data applications. Those users cannot
expect to walk, or drive, out of hot-spot range and have the Wi-Fi provider hand off their e-mail sessions to their cellular
operators, for example. Neither the roaming nor the application persistence works.

For users, the application persistence seems to be the bigger of the two problems. Late last year, Sprint surveyed several of its users in healthcare, telemetry and transportation who said resoundingly that they need application
persistence, not seamless roaming. "Those who needed to be able to move between 3G and Wi-Fi were few and very far between,"
says Wes Dittmer, senior director of business development for Sprint PCS.

The IETF's proposed Mobile IP (MIP) specification (RFC 2002) goes toward solving these problems. MIP will let users roam by
giving them a fixed "home" IP address and a "care-of" address that changes at each point along their wireless trajectory.
And while it might not provide for wireless persistence single-handedly, MIP will go a long way toward enabling it. While
router vendors are working on their own versions, these will not likely be ready for deployment or widescale use for a few
years. Again, many security issues arise over the discovery, registry and tunneling of the care-of address.

Mobilize those apps

The persistence/roaming isn't holding back deployment of applications such as e-mail, instant messaging - with or without
presence - and Short Message Service (SMS) on wireless networks. Gartner says wireless messaging is today's fastest-growing enterprise wireless data application. The
research firm predicts that mobile SMS and instant messaging will become a regular part of mobile communications in the next
two years.

Other applications will move increasingly into the wireless realm, too. "For every vertical, there are two or three key applications
that are essential to running the business and would benefit from mobilization," says Dan MacDonald, head vice president of
Nokia Internet Communications. "Make it accessible and useable with small screens, and you've got a killer app."

Toward that end, Nokia in May acquired Eizel Technologies, whose software platform "mobilizes" applications for the wireless
environment, MacDonald says. Other efforts to make business applications suitable for use over mobile networks include Motorola's
Cellular Digital Packet Data standard that ported messaging and dispatch applications into the wireless realm.

The converged mobile future
Convergence of wireless network, application and device types has begun, but likely won’t produce fully persistent applications
for at least three years, according to Gartner.

2003

2004

2005

2006

2007

Technology

Wireless LAN

Wireless LAN

Multichannel access

Wireless LAN with VoIP

Wireless personal-area network

Application

Coverage extension

Messaging, corporate data

Multimodal information access

Converged voice services

Integrated enterprise architecture

Any presence-based application will require making signal availability more automated, says Dave Werezak, vice president of
marketing for Research in Motion. If users have to keep resetting availability and presence data, then as a practical matter
people won't use wireless applications. "But we can combine someone's location with presence and use data to say, 'If I'm
not at my desk or am in this meeting room, consider me unavailable,'" he says, explaining that General Packet Radio Service
(GPRS), a 3G cellular technique for sending short bursts of data such as e-mail and instant messages, might be one approach.

Because GPRS can be used on TDMA or CDMA networks, and presence is being built into handsets, "We could see it sooner rather
than later," perhaps within the next few years, he adds.

Having the operating system on the device, as opposed to using an appliance, should make presence more widely available and
convergent applications more real, says Mike Wehrs, director of technology and standards for Microsoft. The operating system
deals with the network, as it does for the location-based E911 services mandated for cellular networks, rather than the user,
he says. AT&T Wireless is demonstrating presence technology and is expected to offer a commercial service, although it hasn't
set a date.

Recipe for clunky devices?

Chips might get smaller, less expensive and more sophisticated, but users still need the right mobile tools. As one analyst
notes, convergence might help mobile users eliminate a PDA, cell phone, pager, laptop or PC card, but will never get them
down to one device. Voice telephony can be integrated into anything, but data needs a larger display and keyboard than many
mobile devices offer. Ask early users of the so-called wireless Web of a few years ago-they'll still likely gripe about slow
downloads and crummy graphics.

Questions for your wireless network operators, mobile device vendors and application software providers

•

How do you plan to merge wide-area cellular with local-area hot spots? Do you offer discounts and a single bill for roaming
between them?

•

Do you have the level of security we need integrated into your service/product, or will we have to layer it in on top ourselves?

•

Will your wireless security architecture leverage our existing enterprise security infrastructure, or will we need to deploy
yours or another vendor-/product-specific security infrastructure to support your wireless product/service?

•

What are your plans to support the emerging IEEE 802.11 wireless Ethernet standards such as “a” and “i”?

•

How well does your application deal with an intermittent network connection?

•

What can you do to ensure important business applications, such as CRM, are ready for wireless networking or converted for
easy use?

•

How do you measure user downtime, and what processes do you have in place to support six-sigma level of commitment?

•

Can you demonstrate the ability to protect handsets, call processing engines and gateways from security threats such as a
virus or denial-of-service attack?

•

What changes are you making at Level 1 support desks to handle the increased complexity around fault isolation on a converged
network?

•

What standard IP quality-of-service mechanisms have you deployed?

Multi-mode chips that will handle functions like least-cost routing are most likely to go into PDAs first and high-end mobile
phones, says Greg Collins, a director for Dell'Oro Group. "But frankly, we're not seeing a lot of integration on the chip
side between Wi-Fi, GSM and TDMA," he says.

GSM is TDMA-based and a widely used digital cellular standard everywhere but North America. At least right now vendors want
chips that combine DSL and Wi-Fi so they can provide landline and wireless connectivity from a single device, he adds.

Nokia's MacDonald is a bit more bullish, noting that the PC card is a transitional device. He says mobile phones with 3G,
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities will be available within the next two years. Bluetooth, originated several years ago by Ericsson, IBM, Intel,
Nokia and Toshiba, is a specification for so-called personal-area networks. Its signal has a short reach and enables connectivity
among different wireless device types and networks on a more dynamic and personal level, for instance as a user progresses
through a shopping mall. "It's only the early adopters who can stomach it right now to accomplish a lot of this," he adds.
"It has to get simpler for the adoption to take off."

Nokia and others are watching to see how users receive the Mio8380, a mobile phone that plays music, sends e-mail and takes
pictures. It's hardly revolutionary, but it is the first to use Microsoft's Smartphone 2002 operating system and Intel's PXA255
200-MHz processor. The phone will be available this fall in Europe for $600.

While the unit is more a consumer play, its ability to handle multiple applications of varying bandwidth requirements portends
good things for enterprise users looking for a richer all-in-one or more-in-one device. And as the debut of Microsoft and
Intel into the handset realm, it likely will force Ericsson, Motorola, Nokia and others to hasten their own convergence developments
for business users.

RIM's Werezak says the industry can combine as many technology types into silicon as it likes, but for each different radio
technology added to the chip, another antenna, code stack, software and electronics have to be added to the hardware.

"We anticipate a converged wireless handheld that would support WAN and Wi-Fi subscriptions, but it would be bigger, more
expensive and have a shorter battery life than the BlackBerry or any other existing mobile device," he cautions.

So while convergence of wireless networks, applications and devices is still a few years out, customers, vendors and service
providers all are focused on the potential.

Sweeney is a writer and editor in Los Angeles who has covered IT and networking for 20 years. He can reached at [email-masked].

Related Links
Wireless/mobile research center

Wireless/mobile forum - Discuss enterprise wireless issues.

Wireless research center

Latest wireless news, analysis and research links.

Network World on Wireless in the Enterprise

Sign up for our free e-mail newsletter.

Breaking wireless news

IBM combines transistors to speed wireless chips

09/30/03

In brief: Aruba switches on more money

09/29/03

Cingular GSM network downed

09/29/03

Wireless LAN throughput on the rise

09/26/03

Symbian touts DoCoMo deal as 'blessing' of OS

09/26/03

Connexion in-flight Internet adds Atlantic coverage

09/25/03

Microsoft creates unit for mobile content delivery

09/25/03

Oracle e-mail product gets BlackBerry support

09/24/03

IBM bolsters pervasive computing efforts

09/24/03

RIM's new device links up on the links

09/23/03

More news »

Wireless features and reviews

Is more bandwidth better?

09/29/03

By John Cox Network World Fusion, 09/29/03 The IEEE 802.11 working group has blessed creating a new 100M bit/sec WLAN standard, called 802.11n . That's good news. Isn't it? The idea is that more bandwidth for ...

Raising an RFID ruckus

09/29/03

Radio frequency identification tags might make supply chains infinitely more manageable, but the privacy flap needs settling first.

Ultimate mobility

09/29/03

Wi-Fi is the rage today, but the real mobile story lies in the convergence of multiple network types, application persistence and multi-modal devices.

Wireless LAN switches: Four new products brave our cutting-edge test

09/22/03

Aruba, Airespace top our exclusive performance-based test.

Intel and the wireless enterprise

09/15/03

By John Cox Network World Fusion, 09/15/03 Intel's view of wireless is its view of Ethernet: one more form of networking that puts more demand on Intel's bread-and-butter -- the microprocessor at the ...

More articles »

More from the IDG Enterprise Network

From Computerworld:

Cisco warns its WLAN security can be cracked
10/02/03

Taking business mobile, securely and cost-effectively
10/02/03

Palm introduces widescreen handheld
10/01/03

From InfoWorld:

Not rocket science
//

DemoMobile illuminates unwired future
//

DemoMobile: Pulling mobile workers into the enterprise flow
//

Apply for your free subscription to Network World. Click here. Or get Network World delivered in PDF each week.

Request a reprint or permission to use this article.

To top

Visit Network World Fusion’s PRODUCT CENTRAL

A resource for vendor product and technology information – PRODUCT CENTRAL on Network World Fusion hosts an extensive array
of information related to network technology vendors, their products and services. Found in PRODUCT CENTRAL are the most recent
white papers, case studies and testimonials. Here you can look for a specific product in our “Product Finder”, download the
most recent Network World Special Reports, find a list of webcasts you can view at your leisure and more. Check out Network World Fusion’s PRODUCT CENTRAL today!

Click here to Apply for a FREE Print Subscription to Network World.

Each week Network World delivers an extensive lineup of product, service and industry news, analysis, case studies, comparative
product reviews, product tests, buyers guides, expert opinion and management advice. Subscribe Today - It's FREE!

Click here to Renew your Free Print Subscription to Network World.

Already a subscriber? Keep your FREE issues coming week after week. Renew Today - It's FREE!

McAfee® Security
-
Visit us for best-of-breed network protection solutions.

Microsoft®
-
Try Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 free.

Microsoft®
-
Windows Server® 2003. Free Evaluation Kit.

IMlogic
-
Is Instant Messaging getting out of control in your organization? Free webinar on how to secure and manage your IM.

EMC’s ControlCenter 5.1.1
-
eWeek Labs tests and tells how this stacks up.

NetScout Systems, Inc
-
Optimize Your Network Performance GamePlan - Fall Technical Briefing Series

Avaya
-
GET FREE INSIGHT ON DEPLOYING IP TELEPHONY FROM THE LEADER - AVAYA.

Intel - WLAN Deployment Scenarios
-
Which wireless LAN technology is best for you? Find out at intel.com

Network Associates
-
Netasyst(tm) Network Analyzer Experience better network performance-free 15-day trial.

Lucent Technologies
-
Lucent Technologies - Learn how to get seamless enterprise mobility through the convergence of WiFi and 3G. FREE white paper.

IBM Corporation
-
Simplify storage with IBM TotalStorage Virtualization Family. Learn More

Covad
-
Take Covad’s T1 challenge. Free install, money-back 30-day guarantee.

EMC's ROI calculator
-
HOW MUCH COULD YOU SAVE with a networked storage solution? Calculate your savings.

Statscout
-
Highly scalable Network Monitoring Software - FREE Evaluations

Alterpoint
-
Network World Special Report: Practitioner’s Guide to configuration change management – download your free copy

Sun Microsystems
-
See how your company wins with the Sun Fire[tm] V480 server.

Belden
-
Better performance with Bonded-Pairs - FREE cable samples; FREE CD

3Com Corporation
-
Learn to successfully deploy multi-standard, future-proof wireless LAN at your company

AlterPoint
-
Get your FREE Tips and Tricks Guide to Network Configuration Management today!

Cisco Systems
-
THIS IS THE POWER OF THE NETWORK. now.

Winternals Defrag Manager
-
See how it automates your ROI: Free eval CD, ROI report

Contact us |
Terms of Service/Privacy |
How to Advertise

Reprints and links | Partnerships |
Subscribe to NW

About Network World, Inc.

Copyright, 1994-2003 Network World, Inc. All rights reserved.

<A href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=button;sz=160x90;tile=4;ord=013949?">
<IMG src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.nwf.corporate/wirelessmobile;abr=!ie;pos=button;sz=160x90;tile=4;ord=013949?" border="0" width="160" height="90"></A>

TAKE A QUICK SURVEY!

Take a quick survey on web application performance tools and enter to win $250.

Take quiz!