Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Another addition coming to RIR for next season

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:48:18 -0400

Another addition coming to RIR for next season

By:BRIAN J. FRENCH , Sports Writer  10/10/2003

RICHMOND - There's good news for those of you on the wait list for Nextel Cup
tickets at Richmond International Raceway. Not a lot, but NASCAR fans will take
what they can get.

The track announced plans to add more than 1,400 seats to the 3/4-mile track on
Thursday, boosting seating capacity to 107,097.

When the once-Winston Cup makes its first Richmond stop on May 15, it'll do so in
front of the biggest sports crowd in state history.

"It's good for the local economy," said track president Doug Fritz, who estimated
that RIR's three weekends generate around $200 million for the region per year.
"More people are staying, eating, filling up the gas tanks."

According to the track, every 1,000-seat addition creates more than $4.3 million
in economic impact.

The track has clearance by Henrico County to expand to 150,000 seats, but Fritz
said the infrastructure has to keep pace with any expansion plans.

Other announced improvements include a 55-acre parking lot north of the track, a
second spectator care center, added gravel roads to parking lots and the
renovation of the amphitheater.

The track has spent more than $40 million in the current round of renovations,
which includes repaving the track for next season's races.

"RIR is at the top of the (popularity lists)," Fritz said. "We've got something
truly unique, and we're proud of it."

RIR's two Nextel Cup races in 2004 are May 15 and Sept. 11, while the IRL event is
set for June 26.

* Brian J. French may be reached at 732-3456, ext. 269.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10299993&BRD=2271&PAG=461&dept_id=462945&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/