Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Kyocera resumes phone shipments, denies phone exploded

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:02:17 -0400

Kyocera resumes phone shipments, denies phone exploded
By Mike Dano
October 14 13:08:00, 2003

Kyocera Wireless Corp. resumed shipments of several phone models following the
company’s investigation into an incident of an apparent exploding phone.
“There was no explosion,” said Kyocera spokesman John Chier.

Chier said the incident was actually caused by a safety feature built into the
phone’s battery. Chier said the phone’s battery short circuited, causing heat and
pressure to build up inside of the battery. To prevent a “more serious failure,”
Chier said the battery “vented” the heat and pressure by expelling graphite dust.
The graphite dust might have led to reports of a smoky explosion, but Chier said
the release of graphite dust is a safety feature common to cell-phone batteries,
and the dust itself is harmless.
“This is a very unique incident,” Chier said. “We’re very confident in the safety
of the battery and the phone.”

Chier said Kyocera resumed shipments of its KE400/KX400 series mobile phones late
last week, following an extensive investigation into the incident. According to
Nebraska TV station WOWT 6 News, an area family purchased a Kyocera phone through
Cricket carrier Leap Wireless International, and it exploded without warning. None
of the family members was injured in the incident, which occurred the weekend of
Oct. 4.

Chier said Kyocera has been selling the type of battery involved in the incident
for two years, and the company is satisfied with its performance.
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15458

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:10:38 -0400

Ah .....the old "CYA" Check out this "Weasel Talk"

"To prevent a “more serious failure,”
Chier said the battery “vented” the heat and pressure by expelling graphite dust."

Expelled graphite dust? I would not want that expelling in my face!

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:18:44 -0400

This reminds me of a time when an employee of NEC in Shinagawa really
screwed up.  He bowed and then said. "Please accept.", which meant that he
was gonna stick me with the problem.  Culturally I had a dilemma, but
managed to get out of it - they took care of it.  The graphite duct story is
a "please accept" BS line.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 2:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Kyocera resumes phone shipments, denies phone
exploded

"To prevent a "more serious failure,"
Chier said the battery "vented" the heat and pressure by expelling graphite
dust."

[email-masked] wrote:

> phone's battery. Chier said the phone's battery short circuited, causing
heat and
> pressure to build up inside of the battery. To prevent a "more serious
failure,"
> Chier said the battery "vented" the heat and pressure by expelling
graphite dust.
> and the dust itself is harmless.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.4052765.5265175.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17073678
02:HM/A=1754452/R=0/SIG=11tueh86m/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=601783
24&partid=4052765> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.4052765.5265175.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1754452/rand=249933994> 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Service.

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:21:49 -0000

Yea ......."Please accept" Graphite in your face!

--- In [email-masked], "Todd Ellis" <tellis1@n...> wrote:
> From: Marcelrf@B... [mailto:Marcelrf@B...] 
graphite
> Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> > Chier said the incident was actually caused by a safety feature 
built into
> the
> > The graphite dust might have led to reports of a smoky explosion, 
but
> Chier said
> > the release of graphite dust is a safety feature common to 
cell-phone
> batteries,
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.4052765.5265175.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
073678
02:HM/A=1754452/R=0/SIG=11tueh86m/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=
601783
> 24&partid=4052765> click here
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.4052765.5265175.1261774/D=egr
oupmai

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->