Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Raising an RFID ruckus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:58:46 -0400

Raising an RFID ruckus

Radio frequency identification tags
might make supply chains infinitely
more manageable, but the privacy
flap needs settling first.
By Steve Ulfelder
Network World, 09/29/03

It was a rough summer for radio frequency identification, the heir to the
venerable bar code.
In July, privacy advocates crowed when Wal-Mart and Gillette canceled a
planned trial of "smart shelves," which inform the supply chain when (and
with what) they need to be restocked. "On June 6, I walked around and
wiggled the smart shelf [in a Brockton, Mass., Wal-Mart, where the test was
about to launch]. The next day, it was gone," proudly reports Katherine
Albrecht, executive director of one of those groups - Consumers Against
Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering (CASPIAN
http://www.nocards.org/).

A month later, CASPIAN called for a boycott of Gillette, darkly dubbing the
RFID transceivers embedded in razor-blade packaging "Gillette spy chips." A
Gillette spokesman dismisses the boycott, saying the company has no
intention of tracking individual customers and their purchases.

Gillette also denies that the privacy groups had any influence on the
decision to cancel the smart-shelf trial, as does Wal-Mart. They say the
companies opted instead to focus their attention farther up the supply
chain, at the palette and case levels. Clearly, though, groups such as
CASPIAN have had a sobering effect on these companies and other businesses
working to improve supply-chain management through RFID. And few industry
watchers doubt that privacy-group pressure will force companies to examine
the consumer-privacy ramifications of the technology and establish a code of
conduct. Public protest also may slow RFID adoption by cautious companies.

However, not all the summer buzz around RFID was negative. While CASPIAN was
making headlines with its Gillette boycott, Texas Instruments announced it
had developed a tiny (22 mm circumference) RFID chip sturdy enough to
survive the dry-cleaning process. And despite the smart-shelf volte-face
(whatever its cause), Wal-Mart instructed top supply-chain partners to be
RFID-ready at the case and pallet level (as opposed to the individual-item
level) by January 2005.

RFID at work

That's a lot of excitement for a technology that was born during World War
II and has been around in pretty much its present form for a decade. RFID
transfers data wirelessly between a minuscule transceiver and a transponder,
or "tag," that can be attached to just about anything - an item in a store,
a shipping container, even livestock. Without human intervention, the tag
and transponder can trigger actions, such as reordering from a supplier.
Already, RFID is used in airport luggage-routing systems and highway toll
collections.

For years, RFID's potential for dramatic supply-chain improvements has been
clear. Because it rides radio waves, RFID doesn't require line-of-sight
scanning as bar codes do (high-frequency RFID systems boast transmission
ranges up to 90 feet). The great promise of RFID is to offer more granular,
accurate information on product availability and to automate processes that
are performed manually today.

Those radio waves are what concern privacy advocates, who want assurance
that when a consumer buys a pack of Certs and slips them in her pocketbook,
she won't be surreptitiously tracked by the government, the store or
hackers.

Privacy is a recent concern; for years, cost held back RFID. The consensus
is that the price of an RFID tag must sink to a penny before the technology
is cost-effective at the grocery-store level (though it's already attractive
for higher-margin items such as clothing).

Nailing down the price of an RFID tag is impossible today. Mark Roberti,
editor of the online magazine RFID Journal (http://www.rfidjournal.com/),
says 40 cents to $1 is the going rate in the real world. But Bob Hower, a
partner at venture capital firm Advanced Technology Ventures who closely
follows RFID, believes Gillette paid as little as six cents apiece for the
500 million tags it purchased from Alien Technology in a heavily subsidized
deal meant to build market share in the nascent industry. Transportation
company DHL, which plans to track its packages with Philips Semiconductor
tags by late 2004, says it won't pay more than 20 cents each for the 1.5
billion tags it plans to use annually.

In any case, there's more to RFID than tagging every box of Bisquick.
Already, the ROI is attractive at the pallet and carton level - where
Wal-Mart is focusing. The Bentonville, Ark., company is committed to using
RFID in its distribution centers by 2005 with its top 100 suppliers, the
spokesman says, on each pallet and case. A year after that, the program will
encompass all Wal-Mart suppliers.

The reason is simple: Already legendary for its logistics processes,
Wal-Mart believes that jumping from bar codes to RFID "will be like going
from the telegraph to the Internet," the spokesman says. "We move a lot of
product," he adds (an understatement - Wal-Mart figures show that from
January to June 2002, 2.5 billion containers passed through its 108 U.S.
distribution centers), "and we think RFID will teach us a lot about the
daily ebb and flow."
He won't comment on when RFID will make it to Wal-Mart shelves, which is
what triggers the objections of privacy groups. CASPIAN's Albrecht says her
bottom line is, "You absolutely cannot put these [tags] in products
consumers are going to interact with."

Privacy first

Roberti says package-level RFID tags are a full decade away. In anticipation
of protests such as CASPIAN's, he has long urged businesses to enact RFID
privacy policies - and believes many corporations will do so in 2004. "This
industry is immature," he says. "Nobody had Internet policies in 1994.
Today, nobody's selling anything to consumers with RFID tags, so why would
they have an RFID privacy policy?"

As it turns out, pressure from consumer privacy groups might bring about a
win-win situation for RFID adopters; while they gradually implement the
technology with suppliers, they can form cogent RFID privacy policies.

Ulfelder is a freelance writer in Southborough, Mass. He can be reached at
[email-masked].

http://www.nwfusion.com/buzz/2003/0929rfid.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/