Subject: [NEXTEL-1] States Combine To Fight Terrorism- Nextel Still Peddling Their Homeland Security Nonsense

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:04:18 -0400

States Combine To Fight Terrorism- Nextel Still Peddling Their Homeland Security
Nonsense
October 16, 2003
Channel 9 Eyewitness News

Siouxland is in the heart of the Midwest but that doesn't make the area immune
terrorism. Terrorism can strike anywhere at anytime. That's why the Siouxland area
is beefing up its homeland security.

South Dakota and Iowa would rather prevent terrorism than have to respond to it.
Which is why the states are working to open up the lines of communication in
Siouxland. Jean Parrish works for the Siouxland Community Health Center.. It's an
agency that provides health care to all Siouxlanders. It's one of the many
agencies that serve the Tri-State area by stretching services across state lines
and each year a meeting brings those agencies together.

Parrish stated, "The river separates three states so it's important that all three
of us get together and work together in medical care and emergency care."

Several Siouxland law enforcement and health care agencies shared ideas at the
Tri-State Homeland Security Summit. They came together to discuss ways to work
together on homeland security.

"This will give us an opportunity to meet with the local police officers, fire
departments, emergency services and hopefully collaborate with them to use our
mobile medical van to help come to emergency services," Parrish added.
In the case of an emergency, systems can become overloaded and calls can be
blocked, preventing the three states from communicating clearly. So folks are
working to get the three states on the same line of communication making this
area's security stronger.

Joe Gormally, Nextel Communications, added, "With one system, one back-up
redundant system, in providing that continuity, it enables those agencies to
communicate directly to one another without having to flop back and forth and
finding channels."
Two weeks ago the federal government gave Woodbury County a $6million dollar grant
to develop a communication system where agencies from all three states can talk on
the same radio.

Folks at the summit meeting think that grant will help accomplish their goal for
clear communication.
The leaders of homeland security for all three states say good communication in
Siouxland will help us all survive any attack.
http://www.kcautv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1485199&nav=1kglIZSZ

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/