Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush administration supports spectrum for unlicensed devices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:09:08 -0400

Bush administration supports spectrum for unlicensed devices

by Jeffrey Silva
Oct. 02, 2003

WASHINGTON

The Bush administration voiced support for making additional spectrum available
for unlicensed wireless devices and ensuring that commercial use of frequencies do
not disrupt Pentagon radar. 

“Today, we continue the Bush administration’s successful efforts to boost dynamic
new technologies like Wi-Fi while protecting critical government systems Americans
rely on every day,” said Michael Gallagher, acting head of the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration.

NTIA, which advises the White House on telecommunications matters, offered its
views on a Federal Communications Commission plan to devote 255 megahertz at 5 GHz
for unlicensed wireless broadband connectivity. 

NTIA said it is leading a government-industry team to develop guidelines that
would enable broadband wireless access systems to share spectrum with Department
of Defense radar.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15323

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/