Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More on exploding Nokia battery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:30:09 -0400

With the recent news about Kyocera phone battery explodes
got this news feed about Nokia exploding battery, posted today
via another newsgroup.
Greg UK

================================================
* Second Nokia phone explodes!
 
A Dutchman's mobile phone exploded in his trouser pocket on Monday. 

It sounded like a scene from Mission: Impossible gone wrong -- a Dutchman's
cell
phone exploded in his trouser pocket on Monday.  The supermarket employee
could
count himself lucky that he only suffered burns on his leg. In August, a
woman got burns
on her face when her mobile exploded. 

Both incidents took place in the Netherlands, and involved Nokia phones. 

The Finnish company had blamed the first exploding mobile incident on the
fact
that the woman did not use an original Nokia battery in her phone. 

"In past cases in Europe of exploding phones, investigation showed that no
original batteries were used," a Nokia spokesman of Nokia's Dutch unit told
Reuters.

However, according to Consumentenbond, a Dutch consumer association, the
phone in this most recent explosion was a new one, with an original
battery. 

"Now they cannot say any longer that these are just incidents. This is the
second
time in a short period that a Nokia phone has exploded," Juliette Oolders,
of the
Dutch consumer watchdog, said. 

There have been concerns that the microwave radiation used in mobile
telephony
could harm users, but these latest incidents show that the damage can be
more dramatic. 

Posted 10 October 2003

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/