Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Appeals court affirms mobile-health decision

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:05:35 -0400

Appeals court affirms mobile-health decision
By JEFFREY SILVA
October 23 12:27:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Wednesday unanimously affirmed a
lower court’s dismissal of an $800 million brain-cancer suit against Motorola Inc.
and others.
The decision puts in further jeopardy nine pending brain cancer suits against the
mobile-phone industry in Baltimore federal court and likely will chill health
litigation generally.

The three-judge panel in Richmond, Va., ruled U.S. District Judge Catherine Blake
did not abuse her discretion in excluding expert testimony of Dr. Lennart Hardell,
a Swedish epidemiologist and star witness for the plaintiff. The appeals court
turned the case around in relatively quick fashion, having heard oral argument
less than a month ago.

In 2000, Christopher Newman, a Baltimore neurologist, filed suit against Motorola
Inc. and other telecom firms, claiming his brain cancer was caused by cell-phone
use. Newman was represented by the law firm of high-powered trial lawyer and
Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos.

Last fall, after extensive briefing and a five-day hearing on scientific evidence
in which industry lawyers raised doubts about Hardell’s methodology and relevancy
of his data, Blake ruled Hardell’s testimony did not meet the Supreme Court’s
standard for acceptability and jury consideration. The case was dismissed shortly
thereafter.

Blake is sitting on nine other brain cancer suits against the mobile-phone
industry in Baltimore federal court, awaiting a ruling in a separate
health-related appeal before the 4th Circuit that turns on jurisdiction.
In the latter case, also litigated by the Angelos law firm, Blake in March
dismissed five class action suits brought against industry for failure to inform
consumers about possible health risks from cell phones and not supplying them with
headsets to reduce their exposure to phone radiation.

“Today’s decision reaffirms that the finding of the district court in Newman v.
Motorola et al. that there is insufficient scientific evidence to support
allegations that wireless phones cause brain cancer,” said the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association.

John Angelos, a lawyer for Newman, declined to comment on the 4th Circuit
decision. “The opinion speaks for itself. We will need to speak to Dr. Newman
concerning any future activity in this case,” said Angelos.

“The courts have spoken, and again the message is loud and clear: These claims of
health risks from mobile phones have no basis in accepted science,” said Norm
Sandler, director of global strategic issues for Motorola. “Anyone pursuing such
claims at present or considering them in the future should take careful note".

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15619

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/