Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Basic Operators Want More Spectrum In 800 MHz Band

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:47:57 -0400

Front Page

Basic Operators Want More Spectrum In 800 MHz Band

MAMUNI DAS

New Delhi:   Basic telecom operators have asked the government to provide them 5 +
5 MHz additional spectrum in the 800 MHz band for provision of code division
multiple access (CDMA)-based wireless services. Currently, basic service operators
(BSOs) have been allocated 2.5 + 2.5 MHz of spectrum to start with. Additional
frequency allocation to BSOs is linked to the BSOs meeting their roll-out
obligations.  As per current license conditions, they can be allocated upto 5 + 5
MHz.

In a letter submitted to the Wireless Planning Commission (WPC) wing of DoT, the
Association of Basic Telecom Operators (ABTO) has claimed that a “minimum of 10 +
10 MHz spectrum per operator is required for the basic operators for efficient
spectrum management.” However, it may be pointed out that the global system for
mobile communications (GSM)-based cellular operators which have relatively more
evolved spectrum allocation plan are also not allocated 10 + 10 MHz spectrum in
bulk.

Additionally, BSOs have asked the government to delink Cor-DECT and CDMA spectrum
allocations. Currently, BSOs are allocated spectrum for Cor-DECT-based as well as
CDMA-based operators in separate spectrum bands. While CDMA is being used by basic
operators to provide both wireless and fixed wireless services, CorDECT is used to
provide fixed wireless terminals (FWTs) only. Currently, while considering the
total spectrum allocated to basic operators, government takes into account the
spectrum allocated in each of these bands.

ABTO has also asked the government to vacate 800 MHz band from non-CDMA users. The
Group of Ministers (GoM) had recently specified that the first lot of spectrum
will be vacated for both the CDMA and GSM bands within a month.

ABTO has also asked the government to earmark 30 + 30 MHz of additional spectrum
for CDMA operations in the 1900 MHz band. They pointed out that while the
government could consider earmark spectrum in the 1800 MHz band, CDMA vendors are
yet to develop network infrastructure or handsets that function in the 1800 MHz
band.

These demands have been put in forth a committee which was formed under the
chairmanship of member (technology) of DoT to look into the issue of efficient
usage of spectrum by BSOs.

URL: http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=44154

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=44154

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/