Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 802.11g enhancement war heats up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:54:29 -0400

802.11g enhancement war heats up

802.11g has not been in the market for long, but different vendors already compete
with each other to make it go faster. Netgear recently launched its Super-G chip,
claiming it could reach speeds of up to 108 Mbps. Now D-Link is bringing out a new
chip, based on an alternative standard, which it claims is as fast as Netgear's.
D-Link is more modest in its claim, however, saying that its DWL2000AP+ offers a
"practical" throughput of around 34 Mbps. D-Link says that this is the same
practical throughput one will get from Super-G.  Practical speeds are always
slower than theoretical speeds, so that the standard 802.11g, boasting 54 Mbps, in
reality delivers a throughput closer to 28 Mbps. Netgrear and D-Link are using
different technologies, neither of which specification is yet an accepted
standard.  Netgear is using the Atheros chipset, and it appears to use channel
bonding using multiple radio slots for transmission. D-Link uses the TI chipset,
which includes the PBCC modulation technology. Both standards only give the speed
boost when the access point and Wi-Fi card come from the same vendor. D-Link says
the TI scheme is better because it is more about compression of the data before it
hits the airwaves and does not preclude transmission of normal 802.11b data at the
same time as g+. It also has a heritage, as TI offered a similar speed boost to
802.11b, called b+. The IEEE’s 802.11 standards site does not make any explicit
reference to either method, so the market may well decide the winner. Prices are
not yet available, but g+ should add no more than $15 to $20 to the price of a
standard 802.11g base station.

- read more in Peter Judge's report
 http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,3o9b,8mf,hua,e9xq,lp64,96ow

- and on Negear's site
 http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,3o9b,8mf,5n37,lu9l,lp64,96ow

and D-Link's site

 http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,3o9b,8mf,8x4y,in25,lp64,96ow

- read John Cox's report on the IEEE's effort to increase WLAN throughput

 http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,3o9b,8mf,4kk,2tif,lp64,96ow

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/