Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell and Competition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:22:17 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Robert Schwaninger <[email-masked]>
Subject: Powell and Competition

Anyone who honestly believes that Powell (or Kennard or Hundt) was
motivated
to encourage competition, rather than relying on regulation, is
employing a
different definition of competition.  Competition comes from a free
marketplace that rewards innovation, marketing, and upward growth of
agile
companies.  It does not mean competition as defined by auction receipts,
entrenched interests, and inertia.  Competition does not promote
consolidation of markets and opportunity.  Competition does not support
bundling and price acceleration without justification in those areas
where
alternative carriers do not exist.  Competition is not augmented by
rulings
which attempt to exempt the telecommunications marketplace from
application
of antitrust laws.  And competition should not be restricted to include
only
those entities who are represented by X number of lobbyist per billion
in
earnings.  Finally, speaking as someone who knows a little about radio,
competition should not be allowed to employ harmful interference as a
means
to gain a competitive advantage.
 
The author is fully misguided in his overview of Chairman Powell. 
Although
Chairman Powell appeared to "get it" before, isolation in the rarified
atmosphere of the Chairman's office wherein one is only called upon to
look
at the global/industrial impact of one's decisions tends to reduce a
person's ability to see the trees, in favor of the "competing" paper
companies.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/