Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC approves 3G spectrum rules, allows fixed wireless Auction to be held next year

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:09:29 -0400

FCC approves 3G spectrum rules, allows fixed wireless Auction to be held next year

by JEFFREY SILVA
Oct. 16, 2003 1:51 PM EST

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission today approved flexible rules for
third-generation mobile-phone service in new spectrum obtained from the Pentagon
and voted to permit fixed wireless broadband operations in higher frequencies on a
commercials basis.

FCC officials said the actions—based on market incentives and service flexibility
in agency spectrum reform recommendations last year—will foster competition and
broadband deployment in the United States.

John Muleta, chief of the FCC Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, said the auction
of 3G licenses operating in the 1710-1755 MHz and 2110-2155 MHz bands will be held
next year. But he warned of potential delays due to snags in legislation designed
to reimburse the Department of Defense for moving defense radio systems off
spectrum reallocated to 3G and onto new frequencies. Under the bill, 3G auction
revenue will be deposited into a DoD relocation fund.

“This additional spectrum, matched with the flexibility provided by these new
service rules, will help carriers meet America's future wireless demands in all
their forms and variations,” said Thomas Wheeler, president of the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association.

The 3G rules allow wireless carriers to deploy different technologies and provide
for a mixture of license sizes so as to not lock out small and rural service
providers. Mobile-phone operators will have the freedom to buy and sell license
components. In addition, 3G licensees will have lengthy license terms (15 years)
and strong renewal expectancy.

The FCC declined to adopt ownership limits on 3G licenses, prompting criticism
from FCC Commissioner Michael Copps.

“Under the rules we adopt today, one company could apparently end up controlling
the entire [3G]band and in a city or a geographic region, leaving no [3G] spectrum
for competitors. That’s a result I don’t like,” said Copps.

The wireless Internet sector hailed the FCC ruling permitting commercial broadband
service in the 71-76 GHz, 81-86 GHz and 92-95 GHz bands.

‘The rules will trigger an unprecedented wave of innovation in millimeter wave
technology and will pave the way for the development of new, efficient broadband
service in a variety of markets—both private and government,” said Andrew Kreig,
president of the Wireless Communications Association.

Tom Wetmore, vice president of sales and marketing at Loea Corp., said the gigabit
spectrum paves the way for widespread use of the company’s “virtual fiber”
solution for high-speed wireless broadband communications.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15496

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/