Subject: [NEXTEL-1] better phones

From: "strokeoluck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:02:53 -0000

Hi again everyone. I'm getting the sense that maybe I'm in the wrong 
forum...you guys seems to know a LOT more about Nextel than the 
average bear. I'm really seeking a simple answer: when will Nextel 
come out w/"better" phones. A friend of mine has some new Sprint 
phone that allows him to browse the internet, receive/send full e-
mail, take pictures (and e-mail them instantly), etc. all on a full 
color screen. Granted he paid $500 for the phone but this thing is 
awesome! I'm using the same i90 that's been around for years...and 
they're still selling it as one of their top models it would appear. 
I realize they have the Blackberry but from what I hear it sucks as 
a phone (who wants to have to plug an earpiece in anytime you want 
to talk?). When will Nextel be coming out w/these "next generation" 
phones and why haven't they done it to date? Do you think us 
businessmen are just stuffed shirts and we don't need these phones 
or is it because Motorola won't produce anything snazzier? Thanks.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:37:14 -0500

No, you are in the right place. Don't let our techno-babble intimidate you.
We encourage all types of questions from the simplistic to the complicated.
Ok, on to your question...... Yes

see:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/files/Falcon.zip

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/files/Nextel%20Falcon.ppt

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Sue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:12:40 -0500

I personally don't see why a phone needs a camera. I have an i95 and I can
send and recieve email and browse the web, and it has a color screen. I have
a digital camera to take pics with, an mp3 player to listen to music with,
and a GameBoy SP to play games on. I don't want them all crammed on to my
phone. It's been my experience that the more things a device is equipped to
do, the less a change it will do any of them well. I think Nextel's phones
are just fine.

SueNY

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:08:46 -0500

Good point Sue.

But some of us want all the "Bells and Whistles" all in one device. What I have
found out is the more features squeezed into a single device the more likely it
is to fail.

---

From: "Joseph Pederson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:13:31 -0600

If you have the correct software - some Motorola cameras ARE compatible
with the i95 
 
Joseph Pederson

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 7:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] better phones

I personally don't see why a phone needs a camera. I have an i95 and I
can
send and recieve email and browse the web, and it has a color screen. I
have
a digital camera to take pics with, an mp3 player to listen to music
with,
and a GameBoy SP to play games on. I don't want them all crammed on to
my
phone. It's been my experience that the more things a device is equipped
to
do, the less a change it will do any of them well. I think Nextel's
phones
are just fine.

SueNY
----- Original Message -----
From: "strokeoluck" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:02 PM
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] better phones

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor	

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243273.4089246.5300282.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707
367802:HM/A=1750744/R=0/SIG=1298iefud/*http://servedby.advertising.com/c
lick/site=552006/bnum=1067576546569874> Click to learn more... 	
 
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4089246.5300282.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=161170056> 	

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

---

From: Dave Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:29:20 -0700

>or is it because Motorola won't produce anything snazzier? Thanks.
Motorola's iDEN line is, at this point, mainly aimed at business users 
and contractors who want a phone that does it's job, rather then 
gimmicky toys like cameras.  Personally, I appreciate the simplicy, and 
the fact that they've concentrated on making a functional phone, rather 
then on gimmick.

As an example, where I live, TELUS runs PCS (CDMA) and Mike (iDEN) 
networks.  In my area, all the towers have both CDMA and iDEN 
transmitters in the same physical locations, and the competitors GSM 
towers are in almost the same physical locations.

When I had a couple friends over to install my help me pull coax and 
ethernet through the house, one of them was a cable-co employee (GSM 
phone) and was here to activate my cable modem, the other was a PCS 
phone user.

One of them started complaining about the same thing (He's an x-iDEN 
user too) and about how he can take a picture and email it to me and all 
that.  I said "okay, do it... Show me"  -- So he took the picture, tried 
to email it.  No reception on his imported PCS unit.  I complimented him 
on his excellent camera, but mentioned that I need a phone that actually 
works.  Next up, the other guy tried to call into the cable office to 
activate my cable modem on his GSM phone.  Same thing, no reception.  I 
let him borrow my i55sr, which has 3 bars of service, and he was able to 
call through just fine.

I said goodbye to my cable installer friend, and the PCS guy and I 
hopped onto the train to head downtown.  I made a point of using my 
cellphone on the train going through a tunnel, to show off how I don't 
lose the call.  Did the same when we got downtown and went 18 floors up 
in an elevator.  In both cases, his phone had no service.

Personally, I'm more then willing to pay good money for a phone that 
concentrates on being a phone, rather then having other toys built in.  
Don't get me wrong, toys are good, but RF performance and voice quality 
are paramount.

All that being said, I do have email, AIM, and wireless data services 
all activated on my phone, and I make good use of all three.  I love 
toys (just ask my girlfriend), I have a Palm, Axim, $100+ wireless 
mouse, two or three digital cameras, drive based MP3 player, a couple 
flash based MP3 player, eight or nine cell phones (One active account 
for myself, I swap the SIM around depending on which unit I feel like 
using), all the good stuff.  I appreciate gadgets, love 'em, but 
functionality has to come first.

-- 
Dave Warren,
 Email Address:  [email-masked]
 Cell: (403) 371-3470         Fax: (403) 371-3471
 Toll free: (888) 371-3470 Vonage: (817) 886-0860
 ICQ: 17848192  AIM: devilspgd  Yahoo!: devilspgd
 MSN/PASSPORT:   [email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ybSovB/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->