Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. marshal might consider phoning home

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:24:34 -0400

U.S. marshal might consider phoning home 

10/14/03

Walkie-talkie
goes on walkabout 

The man's voice came over Portland's emergency radio airwaves on a recent morning,
interrupting the usual cacophony of calls about fires, fights, shoplifting and
traffic wrecks. 

"I found this radio. . . . You want it back?" 

He told dispatchers that he had picked up what looked like a walkie-talkie along
Interstate 5 near Lake Oswego. 

And yeah, they wanted it back. 

Carl Simpson, Portland's director of emergency communications, says the man found
a handheld radio belonging to a U.S. marshal. Maybe the federal cop forgot the
radio after setting it atop his car, Simpson theorized. 

"I was just relieved it wasn't my radio," he says. "I live around the corner from
where it was found." 

It was the third portable police radio to go missing around Portland in the past
month. The other two, lost by Portland and Tri-Met police officers, are still
missing and have been disabled remotely. 

Lost 9-1-1 radios can be a pain in the gear of local law enforcement, particularly
when someone uses one to call in fake crimes. 

"It's happened," Simpson says. "Once, we had the kid of a sheriff's deputy use his
dad's radio to do just that." 

As for the man who called in with the marshal's lost radio, dispatchers told him
to stay put, police were on the way to retrieve it. 

"Am I in trouble?" the man asked. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/portland_news/106613259734620.xml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/