Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Sets New Spectrum Rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:21:53 -0400

FCC Sets New Spectrum Rules
BY MARK ROCKWELL
OCTOBER 16, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC today unveiled new rules for a long-awaited chunk of
wireless spectrum with a view to auctioning it off in the coming months. It also
has high hopes of making 90 MHz of "3G" spectrum, as well broadband wireless
services using GHz bandwidths, more easily available and workable for commercial
interests.

Commissioners agreed on new service rules for the 1710-1755 and 2110-2155 MHz
bands that would use flexible allocation and bidding procedures for the spectrum.
Although the auction dates for the spectrum apparently are still up in the air and
largely dependent on relocation of existing government users, the FCC is hoping
the new rules will set the stage for new voice, data and broadband services in the
near future.

The spectrum will be licensed by geographic area in a total of five blocks under
more flexible market-oriented rules, according to John Muleta, chief of the
commission's wireless bureau. The plan includes blocks suitable for a mixture of
license sizes and geographic areas. The licenses for the spectrum will run 15
years, with 10-year renewal terms. Licensees will be able to aggregate spectrum
and can partition and disaggregate their licenses.

The plan will "allow the marketplace, rather than the FCC, to determine what
services area ultimately offered," the commission said in a statement.

The additional spectrum and flexible licensing, says FCC Chairman Michael Powell,
will add momentum to companies such as Verizon Wireless and smaller provider Monet
Networks to use their infrastructure to support advancing applications like
Internet access.

He added that the new rules would maximize the flexibility of licensees to choose
what kinds of services they will offer. He said the plan also would group like
spectrum uses together, ensuring technically compatible operations stay close
together and minimize interference.

The rules won't have any impact until the spectrum is set up for auction, however,
and that may not happen for another year or even longer, according to Muleta.
Legislation that would fund existing government users' move from the spectrum is
tied up on Capitol Hill.

In another move toward pushing advanced wireless services out to the marketplace,
the FCC also approved the opening up of 70, 80 and 90 GHz spectrum bands for
advanced point-to-point wireless services and other applications. The spectrum is
used to transmit focused 'pencil beam' high-speed transmissions for applications
such as wide area networks and campus-type wireless broadband services. The FCC
used a non-exclusive licensing approach in its new rules that would be more
flexible for the localized applications.

There already is interest in the licenses from a number of smaller start-up
companies looking to provide wide area networks and point-to-point data services
using the technology. Wireless Communications Association President Andrew Kreig
said the move would "trigger an unprecedented wave of innovation in millimetere
wave technology."
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=10/16/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/