Subject: [mobile-ip] 2nd Call for Papers: Pervasive 2004

From: karin anna hummel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:50:13 +0200

[our apologies in case you have received multiple copies.]

    *********************************************************************
    *                                                                   *
    *                       2nd Call for Papers                         *
    *                                                                   *
    *                     P E R V A S I V E   2004                      *
    *        2nd International Conference on Pervasive Computing        *
    *                                                                   *
    *    ! Papers & Tech-Notes Submission Deadline: November 7, 2003 !  *
    *                                                                   *
    *                      Linz / Vienna, Austria                       *
    *                        April 19-23, 2004                          *
    *                                                                   *
    *                   http://www.pervasive2004.org                    *
    *                                                                   *
    *********************************************************************

* Description

     A vast manifold of tiny, embedded and autonomous computing and
     communication systems have started to create and populate a
     pervasive and ubiquitous computing landscape, characterized by the
     autonomy of their programmed behavior, the dynamics and context-
     awareness of services and applications they offer, the ad-hoc
     interoperability of services and the different modes of user
     interaction upon those services. This is mostly due to technological
     progress like the maturing of wireless networking, exciting new
     information processing possibilities induced by novel microprocessor
     technologies, low power storage systems, smart material, and motor-,
     controller-, sensor- and actuator technologies. A future computing
     scenario is envisioned in which almost every object in our everyday
     environment will be equipped with embedded processors, wireless
     communication facilities and embedded software to perceive, perform
     and control a multitude of tasks and functions. Since many of these
     objects are already able to communicate and interact with global
     networks and with each other, the vision of context-aware "smart
     appliances" and "smart spaces" has already become a reality. Service
     provision is based on the ability of being aware of the presence of
     other objects or users, and systems can be designed in order to be
     sensitive, adaptive and responsive to their needs, habits and even
     emotions. With pervasive computing technology embodied into real
     world objects like furniture, clothing, crafts, rooms, etc., those
     artefacts also become the interface to "invisible" services and
     allow to mediate between the physical and digital (or virtual) world
     via natural interaction - away from desktop displays and keyboards.
     Novel interface concepts for situated interaction give rise for
     bringing the interaction with computers "back to the real world".

     All these observations pose serious challenges to the conceptual
     architectures of computing, and the related engineering disciplines
     in computer science. PERVASIVE 2004, the Second International
     Conference on Pervasive Computing, provides a premier venue to bring
     together researchers and practitioners working in all foundational
     and applied research areas of pervasive and ubiquitous computing. It
     will include presentations, workshops, tutorials and multimedia
     demonstrations on subjects like:

* Focus

     Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing Architectures
     Sensors and Actuators / Computational Perception
     "Smart" Appliances / Ambient Intelligence
     New Technologies / New Materials / Small Artefacts
     Displays / Vision / Mixed Reality Systems
     Spontaneous / Wireless / Mobile Communication
     Networked Embedded Systems
     Context Awareness / Autonomous Computing
     Coordination Models and Systems
     Middleware and Software Frameworks
     Interaction Models / Interaction Design
     User Interfaces (e.g. Situative/Tangible/Attentive)
     Emerging Industrial / Business Scenarios
     Social / Privacy / Security Issues

* Submissions

     Submissions to PERVASIVE 2004 are welcome in the categories Regular
     Papers and Tech-Notes, Doctoral Colloquium, Videos, and Tutorials
     and Workshops.

* Regular Papers and Tech-Notes

     Regular papers should present original, highly innovative,
     prospective and forward-looking research in one or more of the
     categories given above. Just like regular papers, tech-notes should
     present directing research, but in very focused and compact format.
     Tech-notes are not understood as short papers condensed into less
     page space, but are intended to present pointed results at a high
     level of technicality. Submissions in this category will be handled
     electronically and must be in PDF or PostScript file format. Regular
     papers must not exceed 18 pages (or approx. 10000 words, including
     text, figures and references), tech-notes must not exceed 5 pages
     (or approx. 2500 words) formatted single column, single-spaced in
     Springer LNCS style available at
     http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html. Accepted regular
     papers and tech-notes will be published in the conference
     proceedings. PERVASIVE 2004 will adopt a double-blind process for
     regular paper and tech-note review, where the identities of the
     authors are withheld from the reviewers and vice versa. Authors'
     names and their affiliations must not be revealed or mentioned
     anywhere in the paper or in the PDF or postscript file. Submitted
     papers and tech-notes must be original, unpublished work and not
     currently under review for any other conference or journal. Papers
     not following these guidelines will not be considered for the review
     process. To submit a paper or tech-note, please refer to the paper
     submission link (available from October 1st, 2003) at the conference
     website. Questions about the papers and tech-notes submission
     process should be directed to the Program Committee Chair
     (A. Ferscha, Univ. Linz) at [email-masked].

* Doctoral Colloquium

     The PERVASIVE 2004 doctoral colloquium, to be held right before the
     main conference during April 19-20 in Linz, Austria, invites PhD
     students and candidates to present, discuss and defend their
     work-in-progress or preliminary results in an international, agile
     and renowned audience of junior and senior researchers and
     developers in the pervasive computing field. Thesis position papers
     (5 pages or approx. 2500 words) are solicited relating a problem
     statement, methodological approach, potential for innovation and
     expected contribution to the international pervasive computing
     literature. Accepted submissions will be presented during the
     colloquium and will be included in the PERVASIVE 2004 adjunct
     proceedings. The PERVASIVE 2004 Doctoral Colloquium Certificate,
     signed by the international colloquium committee will be handed to
     the successful presenters. Further information can be obtained from
     the conference website or the Doctoral Colloquium Chair (G. Kotsis,
     Univ. Linz) at [email-masked].

* Videos

     Submissions are invited to present novel pervasive computing
     systems, devices or just designs, or demonstrate innovative styles
     of interaction or usability of those systems - in a lively format:
     as a video. Video clips should be no longer than 8 minutes and be
     accompanied by a 4 page (or approx. 2000 words) written summary. The
     author(s) of a video are expected to present a brief introduction at
     the conference, while all full videos will be presented during the
     PERVASIVE 2004 Video Night - a special event at a historic place in
     Vienna. Video papers will be published in the PERVASIVE 2004 adjunct
     proceedings, all video clips will be presented in the PERVASIVE 2004
     Video DVD. Further information can be obtained from the conference
     website or the Video Chair (H. HÃ¶rtner, Ars Electronica Center) at
     [email-masked].

* Tutorials and Workshops

     PERVASIVE 2004 tutorials will provide the dissemination of advanced
     concepts, technologies and skills to the participants. Tutorial
     submissions should focus on seminal and pioneering topics of
     pervasive computing or cover an outstanding new branch of pervasive
     computing research. Workshop sessions will provide inspiring and
     influencing discussion on pervasive computing topics. Each workshop
     aims at the sharing and consolidation of new research ideas and
     fosters future co-operations. Workshop proposals may be related to
     any topic of pervasive computing. Further information can be
     obtained from the conference website, the Tutorials Chair
     ([email-masked]) or the Workshops Chair
     ([email-masked]) respectively.

* Conference Chairs

     General Chair
       Friedemann Mattern (ETH Zurich, CH)

     Program Committee Chair
       Alois Ferscha (Univ. Linz, A)

     Publicity Co-chairs
       Karin Anna Hummel (Univ. Vienna, A)
       Rene Mayrhofer (Univ. Linz, A)

* Program Committee

     Gregory Abowd (GA Tech, USA)
     Michael Beigl (Univ. Karlsruhe, D)
     Mark Billinghurst (Univ. Washington, USA)
     David De Roure (Univ. Southampton, UK)
     Anind K. Dey (Intel Research, USA)
     Elgar Fleisch (Univ. St. Gallen, CH)
     Hans Werner Gellersen (Lancaster Univ., UK)
     Lars Erik Holmquist (Viktoria Institute, S)
     Horst Hoertner (Ars Electronica Center, A)
     Tim Kindberg (HP Labs, USA)
     Gerd Kortuem (Lancaster Univ., UK)
     Gabriele Kotsis (Univ. Linz, A)
     Antonio Krueger (Saarland Univ., D)
     Marc Langheinrich (ETH Zurich, CH)
     Max Muehlhaeuser (TU Darmstadt, D)
     Joe Paradiso (MIT Media Lab, USA)
     Tom Pfeifer (GMD-FOKUS, D)
     Jun Rekimoto (Sony, JP)
     Thomas Rist (DFKI, D)
     Tom Rodden (Nottingham University, UK)
     Anthony Savidis (ICS Forth, GR)
     Bernt Schiele (ETH Zurich, CH)
     Dieter Schmalstieg (TU Wien, A)
     Albrecht Schmidt (Univ. Munich, D)
     Vincent Stanford (NIST, USA)
     Thad Starner (Georgia Tech., USA)
     Adam Wolisz (TU  Berlin, D)
     Franco Zambonelli (Univ. Modena & R.E., I)
     Albert Zomaya (Univ. of Sydney, AU)

* Important Dates

     Papers & Tech-Notes
       Submission (firm!)                             November 7, 2003
       Notification of Acceptance                    December 20, 2003
       Camera Ready Copy                              February 9, 2004

    Workshops
       Submissions                                    December 1, 2003
       Notification of Acceptance                     December 8, 2003
       Workshop calls online (by the organizers)      December 15, 2003

     Videos/Tutorials
       Submissions                                    January 19, 2004
       Notification of Acceptance                    February 16, 2004
       Final Versions                                   March 15, 2004

     Doctoral Colloquium
       Submissions (firm!)                            January 12, 2004
       Nomination of Speakers                         February 9, 2004

     Conference Events
       Pre-conference Events (in Vienna)                April 20, 2004
       PERVASIVE 2004 Doctoral Colloquium (in Linz)  April 19-20, 2004
       Main Conference (in Vienna)                   April 21-23, 2004

* Additional Information

     For updated information about PERVASIVE 2004 please visit
     www.pervasive2004.org or send email to [email-masked].

     (For your planning: Note that CHI2004 will be held in Vienna,
     Austria, April 24-29, 2004 - right after PERVASIVE 2004.)