Subject: [NEXTEL-1] About the CAUTION Project

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:20:16 -0400

Capacity Utilization in Cellular Networks of Present and Future Generation

About the CAUTION Project

Traffic congestion in cellular networks of 2nd and 3rd generation is a very hot
issue for mobile network operators. Unfortunately it has been proved that today's
infrastructures have failed to address this issue efficiently so far, a fact that
was dramatically demonstrated during critical situations, e.g. earthquakes, new
year’s eve, public events, etc. Mobile network operators received strong criticism
on their failure to address the communication needs of their users. Based on the
above mishap, our main concern is to come up with such innovative contributions
based on coordinated research efforts for a long-term prevention of similar cases.
Since even the on-going specifications issued by the telecom standardization
bodies seem not able to respond to exaggerated call requests - unpredicted by
statistic models - we regard this contribution as innovative enough to give rise
to long term technical benefits.

The main objective of CAUTION is to design and develop a novel, flexible, highly
efficient and scaleable system able to control the cellular network resources. The
project will initially perform an in-depth study of the cellular network mishaps
in congestion situations and specify the system requirements. Subsequently,
CAUTION will design additional management components to the existing cellular
network architectures, considering also the additional traffic that will be added
to the networks, due to the new data-technologies. Simulations and trials will be
performed for UMTS and GSM respectively. The CAUTION project will assist the
enhancement of cellular networks to result in more reliable and stable systems.

http://www.telecom.ntua.gr/caution/start.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/