Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia explosions caused by 3rd party batteries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:08:49 -0400

Nokia explosions caused by 3rd party batteries

Recently, in the Netherlands a battery used in a Nokia 7210 mobile phone exploded.
An investigation by Nokia experts has found that the battery involved in the
incident was not a Nokia battery. Over the past months, cases have been reported
of non-original mobile phone batteries exploding, causing damage to both batteries
and phones. In all the reported cases, the battery has been a non-original
battery. Nokia says that it offers its cooperation to authorities in taking legal
measures available against those who sell and distribute poor quality non-original
mobile phone enhancements compatible to Nokia products.

In general, the reported incidents are due to an internal short circuit. An
internal short circuit can be caused by careless design, an uncontrolled
production process or a combination of both. Original Nokia batteries and chargers
are designed and manufactured adhering to stringent safety and quality measures.
These include very strict requirements regarding the materials and insulation used
inside the batteries as well as continuous production control and intensive
product testing.

"Nokia invests a lot in research and development to constantly safeguard and
improve the quality and safety in Nokia products," said Juha Murtopuro, Director,
Mobile Enhancements Business Unit, Nokia Mobile Phones. "With the non-original
batteries we have been able to inspect, it appears that they did not fulfill the
safety and quality requirements comparable to those that Nokia applies to its
original batteries. Using inferior quality standards may lead to these types of
incidents occuring. The best way to prevent such incidents is to use only original
Nokia enhancements and to buy them from an authorized or other reputable dealer."

In response to the recent incidents, Nokia has intensified its enforcement
efforts. These include alerting its own distribution channels to the dangers of
counterfeit products (a non-original product that infringes Nokia's trademark),
requesting their assistance in identifying the source of such products and
prosecuting parties found to be distributing counterfeit products.

Furthermore, Nokia is increasing its cooperation with local customs and law
enforcement agencies. The cooperation will also include training to distinguish
between original and counterfeit products.

Posted to the site on 21-Oct-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9953.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/