Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cox Stands With First Responders And Calls for Improvements To Their Current Grant Funding Process

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:44:53 -0400

For Immediate Release
Thursday, October 16, 2003

Contact: Vince Sollitto
Liz Tobias

NEWS: Cox Stands With First Responders And Calls for Improvements To
Their Current Grant Funding Process

At a news conference today with Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX), Homeland
Security Vice Chairwoman Jennifer Dunn (R-WA), Subcommittee on Emergency
Preparedness and Response Chairman John Shadegg (R-AZ), and local first responders
from the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and DuPage County, Illinois, Homeland
Security Committee Chairman Christopher Cox (R-CA) called for swift action on his
legislation, H.R. 3266, “Faster and Smarter Funding for First Responders.” Cox
made the following statement:

“First Responders are the front lines of emergency response,” stated Cox. “They
protect us and are our heroes in times of crisis. I am honored to be here today
with representatives from our local police force, fire department, and emergency
medical technicians.”

“ H.R. 3266 fixes the current grant process for first responders. It requires the
Homeland Security Secretary to distribute grants based on the threat posed to the
state or region applying for the grant, reduces the 12-step application process to
two steps, and allows both States and regions to apply for grants.

“I introduced this bill because we can and must do better for our first
responders. The Department inherited an out-of-date grant program that is too
cumbersome and not appropriate for today’s needs. Funding for first responders is
getting trapped in the pipeline, and the funding is not getting to the right
places.

“According to a news article published last summer, in Massachusetts, the
Steamship Authority, which runs ferries to the resort island of Martha's Vineyard,
and one of the Vineyard's harbors were awarded $ 900,000 to upgrade port security.
Oak Bluffs harbormaster told the Vineyard Gazette newspaper: ‘Quite honestly, I
don't know what we're going to do, but you don't turn down grant money.’
“Our bill inserts common-sense into the equation, so that money goes where it is
needed most, first responders are prepared, and the American people are safer.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/