Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UPS Makes Wireless Tracks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:57:20 -0400

UPS Makes Wireless Tracks
BRAD SMITH
OCTOBER 15, 2003

What better testimonial for wireless in the enterprise than the country's biggest
delivery company showing off its analog, digital, WLAN, Bluetooth and voice over
IP technologies? Step into UPS Worldport in Louisville, Ky., the main U.S. hub for
all overnight packages that flow through the company's system. Completed in 2002
at a cost of more than $1 billion, it is a hub of wireless technology.

UPS uses a combination of wireless technologies in its delivery chain. Right now
it is installing what it believes will be the world's largest WLAN, stitched
together with 12,000 access points around the globe. Plus, it is conducting trials
at 68 of its Chicago stores to provide Wi-Fi hot spot service for its customers.

That's not all. The company is moving away from proprietary, private radio schemes
because it feels it can gain added functionality at a lower cost with a
standards-based solution.
Now the package handler wants to combine GPRS and CDMA to give it the broadest
possible coverage nationwide. It's even mapped the entire country to determine
where each of the dominant technologies will work best.

"During the last eight or 10 years we decided to look ahead (on technology) and we
felt that wireless would be the compelling technology going forward," says John
Nallin, vice president of global network services for UPS.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA329135&spacedesc=Features&stt=000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/