Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Finland may let parents track teens via cell phones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:20:51 -0500

Finland may let parents track teens via cell phones

HELSINKI, Finland (Reuters) --Finland has proposed a new law that would 
let parents track the movements of their young children via mobile 
phone, even without their consent, in a move that could set an EU 
benchmark in privacy and handset use.

The proposal is part of new law on privacy in electronic communications 
and could still be changed in parliament hearings, although the Nordic 
country's coalition government accepted it unanimously this week.

Parliament will likely start discussing the proposal early in November, 
but state officials and politicians said it was too early to estimate 
when the law could be passed.

"Roughly similar legislation will be a reality in the European Union 
area in the near future," said Juhapekka Ristola, an official at the 
transport and communications ministry.

Setting an example

He said other countries may follow the example of Finland, home to the 
world's largest mobile phone maker Nokia, because the proposal is based 
on the EU's directive on privacy and electronic communications.

According to the draft, individuals aged 15 or older could only be 
tracked after giving their consent, but for children under 15 such 
consent could also be given by their parents or guardians.

In emergency situations people can still be tracked without their 
consent regardless of their age.

Most tech-savvy country

Finland's top two mobile operators, TeliaSonera and Elisa, currently 
offer positioning services which locate the phone user based on the 
mobile base station he or she is nearest to.

TeliaSonera says the positioning works from between 100 meters (yards) 
in congested areas to 20 km (12 miles) in less populated areas.

Finland is a world leader in mobile technology, and last February 
topped the World Economic Forum's list as the most tech-savvy country 
in the world.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/10/17/sprj.ws.track.teens.phone.reut/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/