Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Great Leap Forward for TD-SCDMA?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:38:38 -0400

Great Leap Forward for TD-SCDMA?

China's preferred third-generation (3G) standard, TD-SCDMA, got a new lease on
life with announcements of a large Siemens-Huawei joint venture of about $85
million in Chinese government funding for TD-SCDMA (Time Division Synchronous Code
Division Multiple Access) development, and of the pending launch of SCDMA — a
wireless local-loop system TD-SCDMA champion Datang Mobile Communications Co.
Ltd. says is related to TD-SCDMA. Beijing Xinwei, a company 35 percent owned by
Datang, announced it will manufacture SCDMA equipment.

On August 29, 2003, telecom equipment manufacturers Siemens and Huawei
Technologies Co. Ltd, announced a $100 million joint-venture to develop TD-SCDMA
radio equipment. Siemens has 51 percent ownership and Huawei 49 percent. According
to a Siemens spokesman, Siemens sees TD-SCDMA as able to play two roles: (1) a
complement to WCDMA in densely populated areas to provide higher data rates and
(2) a sole platform for an entire network.  The function it will play in China
depends entirely on which operator is issued a license to use the TDD (Time
Division Duplex) band. It is conceivable, for instance, that the government could
award an operator only TDD rights, in which case that operator would have no other
option than to deploy TD-SCDMA over its entire network if it is to offer 3G
services.

The announcement that Ministry of Information Industry, State Development and
Reform Commission, and Ministry of Science and Technology will provide R&D funds
for TD-SCDMA came out of an August 28 TD-SCDMA summit in Beijing.

Meanwhile, China's telecom operators are waiting for issuance of licenses for
third-generation mobile services, with technology-specific licenses expected to be
issued to each carrier. Several industry sources believe the licenses will not be
issued before the second quarter of 2004.

http://pulse.tiaonline.org/article.cfm?id=1849

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/