Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Working Document Toward a PDNR on Harmonization of certain Frequencies for Protection of Public Property.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:45:31 -0400

Radiocommunication Study Group Fact Sheet

Task Group: WP-8A

Document No: US WP-8A/2(Rev.2)

Reference:

Resolution 646 (WRC-03)

Date: October 7, 2003

Document Title:  Working Document Toward a PDNR on Harmonization of certain
Frequencies for Protection of Public Property.

Author:  Don Jansky

         Diego Tebaldi

Phone: 202 467 6400
FAX:   202 296 6892
E-mail: [email-masked]

Phone:  781 251 4266
FAX:
E-mail: [email-masked]

Purpose/Objective:

The purpose of this contribution is to initiate a working document in the form of
a PDNR that addresses the harmonization of certain frequencies used for the
protection of public property (stolen vehicles recovery) in response to Resolution
646 (WRC-03).

Abstract:

The contribution provides a framework for a Recommendation on the harmonization of
certain spectrum used for radiocommunication systems employed in the protection of
public property.

US WP-8A/2(Rev.2)
October 7, 2003

WORKING DOCUMENT TOWARD A
PRELIMINARY DRAFT NEW RECOMMENDATION

Harmonization of Certain Frequencies for Public Property Protection Using Data
Communication
considering

a) that WRC-03 agreed Resolution [646], “Public Protection and Disaster Relief”;

b) that this Resolution states that “public radiocommunication refers to
radiocommunications used by responsible agencies and organizations dealing with
maintenance of law and order, protection of life and property and emergency
situations”;

c) that many administrations wish to promote interoperability and inter-working
between systems used for public protection and disaster relief both nationally and
for cross border operations in emergency situations and for disaster relief;

d) that national spectrum planning for public protection radiocommunications needs
to have regard for cooperation and bilateral consultation with other concerned
administrations, which should facilitate greater levels of spectrum harmonization;

e) that technologies exist and are being developed which facilitate through public
protection radiocommunications, the protection of property;

f) that  current public protection and disaster relief applications are mostly
narrow-band supporting voice and low data-rate applications, typically in channel
bandwidths of 25 kHz or less;

g) that the usefulness of public protection radiocommunication systems for the
protection of property have been and continue to be demonstrated using data
transmissions;

h) that an example of such frequency use is the radiocommunication system
described in Annex 1;

i) that in order to achieve spectrum harmonization, radiocommunication systems
using frequencies in ranges used in particular ITU regions will enable
administrations to benefit from harmonized frequencies while continuing to meet
national planning requirements;

j) that use of common frequencies within which radiocommunication equipment for
the protection of property can operate will ease the radiocommunication system
interoperability and/or inter-working, with mutual cooperation and consultation,
especially in national, regional and cross border protection of property
situations.
recognizing

a. That not all frequencies with a common frequency will be available within each
country;

b. that countries use a variety of frequency bands, technologies and applications
for the protection of property.

noting

a) that many administrations use the same frequencies for narrow-band protection
of property applications;

b) that such applications on these frequencies can provide good signal
availability over large coverage areas;

c) that it is desirable to identify frequencies on a regional basis, which will
permit spectrum harmonization and interoperability, particularly across, borders
to facilitate the protection of property;

d) that these property protection applications are achieved through data
transmissions.
recommends

1. that administrations should use regionally harmonized frequencies for public
telecommunication applications related to the protection of property (stolen
vehicle recovery);

2. that such frequencies be used for the implementation of radiocommunication
applications for the public protection of property;

3. that the frequencies in Annex 2 be used as a basis for the regional
harmonization of certain applications of public protection telecommunications used
for the protection of property (stolen vehicle recovery).

 ANNEX 1

Example System Providing
Public Property Protection

1.0 Introduction
This Annex provides a description of a system which provides for the recovery of
stolen/gone missing property. It provides a functional description of the system,
as well as it’s functioning. It also includes a description of the systems
radiocommunication characteristics.

2.0 General System Description

 The system consists of one central computer and one or more remote devices
located at radio transmitter sites. The computer communicates with each remote
device over a switched telephone line. No other means of communication is
provided. In addition, remote devices are installed into vehicles. They are
controlled by the transmission of the appropriate activation or deactivation code.

3.0 System Function

 This system carries out the following functions. A user informs a central
computer, via a local user interface, that a VLU with a specified activation and
reply code is to be activated, or deactivated. The central computer then informs
the set of remote devices, each of which transmits via radio a corresponding
control signal(s).
 The Operations Center may be operated either by the Distributor or by appropriate
authorities.
The system requires a database of equipped vehicles which have been activated. It
is strictly oriented toward individual transactions involving a single unit. Upon
completion of any transaction, it will log that transaction to its printer for
reference by the user.

The only permanent or long-term data the system requires is system configuration
information, such as the phone numbers of its various remote devices.

 The remote device is a computer controlled transmitter system. The remote device
receives commands from the computer center and transmits them.

4.0 Radio Communication Characteristics

The system interfaces with the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN), and other
radiocommunication equipment at remote device locations. It operates in the
frequency range 160-174 MHz in an allocation for Fixed and Mobile Services.
Transmissions take place in both the Fx and Mo Services.

5.0 Interoperability

 Through the use of systems such as this, operating on the same frequency the
property which is being protected through recovery can be easily utilized if the
property is in another country different from the one in which it was taken.
Harmonization of frequencies for this type of application is particularly useful
for interoperability between administrations.

 ANNEX 2

Harmonized Frequencies for
Public Property Protection Radiocommunication

 The frequencies below are for the harmonization of Radiocommunications systems
used for the Protection of Public Property:

Region 1

 Europe: One 12.5 kHz channel centered at 164.175 MHz;
   Consistent with ETSI 300 113

 Africa: One 25.0 kHz channel centered at 169.200 MHz

Region 2

   One 25.0 kHz channel centered at 173.075 MHz*

Region 3

   One 25.0 kHz channel centered at 163.475 MHz

*In the U.S. this frequency is used for vehicle recovery and location.

FS WP8A LoJack

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/