Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Industry Not Seeking WLNP Delay

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:57:30 -0500

Industry Not Seeking WLNP Delay

The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) said
yesterday it continues to lobby lawmakers to establish rules on
transferring landline telephone numbers to wireless telephones, but not
for a delay of the November 24 for wireless local number portability
(WLNP). Early yesterday, the Consumers Union accused the wireless
industry of seeking at least a 60-day delay through a legislative
maneuver in the Senate. Wireless carriers say they continue to ready for
wireless number portability on the current timeline.

=====================================================================================

Wireless industry denies seeking number move delay

Wednesday October 29, 8:12 PM EST
By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON, Oct 29 (Reuters) - The Cellular Telecommunications &
Internet Association, which represents the big U.S. wireless carriers,
denied on Wednesday it was trying to delay rules that would permit
consumers to switch carriers without giving up their telephone numbers.

Consumers Union earlier on Wednesday had accused the industry of seeking
a delay of the Nov. 24 deadline by at least 60 days through a
legislative maneuver in the U.S. Senate.

The Federal Communications Commission adopted rules that require the
carriers to offer wireless number portability in the top 100 markets and
analysts expect several million customers to switch almost immediately.

"CTIA is not lobbying for a delay in the November 24 deadline," said
Travis Larson, a spokesman for the trade group. He did say the
organization was lobbying lawmakers for rules on transferring landline
telephone numbers to wireless telephones, an issue the FCC is still
trying to resolve.

Some wireless carriers have tried to delay or kill number portability,
arguing that there is plenty of competition for subscribers already and
it was diverting funds that could be used to improve service.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia on Wednesday
denied a request by AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (AWE) and others to halt
the portability requirement.

Consumers Union said the industry wanted the delay attached to the bill
that doles out the budget for the FCC, a measure that is working its way
through the Senate. Though it was unclear if any senators would actually
offer the amendment.
"This move is particularly disingenuous of the companies who have
publicly told their customers they are prepared for November 24th while
they are privately negotiating eleventh-hour deals to stave off
competition," Consumers Union President and Chief Executive Jim Guest
said in a statement.

Several top lawmakers, including Sen. Ted Stevens who heads the Senate
Appropriations Committee, on Tuesday praised the FCC for sticking to the
Nov.  24 deadline so it was unclear whether there would be enough
support for a delay.
"He hasn't time to think about it," said Melanie Alvord, a spokeswoman
for Stevens.

The bill to fund the FCC as well as the Commerce, Justice and State
Departments could go to the Senate floor next week, though it could get
wrapped into a larger spending bill. The U.S. House of Representatives
would have to approve the measure.

A few carriers, like the biggest U.S. provider Verizon Wireless, have
embraced number portability after initially opposing the mandate. "The
government has spoken, the courts have spoken, and customers have spoken
loudly, let's get on with it," said Jeffrey Nelson, a spokesman for
Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon Communications (VZ) and
Vodafone Group Plc. (VOD)
http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt_top.jsp?cat=TOPBIZ&src=201&feed=reu&section=news&news_id=reu-n29385955&date=20031029&alias=/alias/money/cm/nw

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/