Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Feds give $44 million for rural broadband

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:48:47 -0400

Feds give $44 million for rural broadband
BY Dibya Sarkar
Oct. 1, 2003

The Agriculture Department last week announced nearly $44 million in grants to
develop broadband Internet access, telemedicine services and distance-learning
opportunities in rural areas.

About $23.5 million will go to 57 distance-education projects, $11.3 million will
help 34 communities nationwide get high-speed Internet access, and $8.9 million
will fund 27 telemedicine projects.

The education projects will enable 556 schools to provide students with better
tools. About 190 medical service facilities will improve their services for
residents.
"Information technology is critical to rural Americans," said Thomas Dorr,
Agriculture's undersecretary for rural development, in a press release. "It
significantly improves the quality of their health care and their ability to
receive access to educational programs that prepare them for a competitive
future."

Under the broadband awards, communities in 20 states were selected based on their
lack of high-speed access for police and fire services, hospitals, libraries, and
schools. In return for the grants, communities will provide residents with
computer and Internet access.

The grants are not only designed to improve quality of life and information
access, but also help economic development.

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/0929/web-agri1-10-01-03.asp
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/