Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GSM coverage to improve in Italian tunnels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:50:02 -0400

GSM coverage to improve in Italian tunnels

A cooperation agreement has been stipulated between Italy's TIM and RFI, the
company responsible for the infrastructure of the railway network, Group Ferrovie
dello Stato. The multi-year agreement will enable TIM, by means of the
installation of dedicated masts, to optimise the coverage of its own GSM network
and allow its customers to use their mobiles in tunnels (where RFI is installing
equipment to amplify the radio signal) and over the entire railway network.

The cooperation agreement, furthermore, provides for national roaming on the RFI's
GSM-R network (on December 2002, RFI was assigned a GSM-R mobile radio licence by
the Ministry of the Communications). The GSM-R architecture is similar to that of
the public GSM networks and with respect to which the GSM-R can be easily
interconnected.

Negotiations are also in progress with other mobile telephone operators.

RFI has simultaneously launched a project to extend (by 2006) the signal of the
GSM-R, the network exclusively dedicated to railway requirements, over the entire
7,500 km of the main lines and nodes, including tunnels, and on the about 800 km
of the new high-speed/ high-capacity lines (Milan-Naples and Turin-Venice
sections). By the end of the year the radio coverage in the tunnels between
Bologna and Naples will be completed.

With the installation of radio repeaters (in stations and along railway lines) the
GSM-R system, which transmits throughout the whole of Europe on the 900 MHz
frequency reserved to railway companies, will not only bring about an improved and
constant contact between travelling and fixed personnel (service communications
and emergency management), but also provide for the transmission of data and
information between technological and signalling systems by means of a single
interoperable communication standard for the various European railway operators.
From the perspective of the integration of European railway traffic, the new
system will facilitate cross-border operations for trains using the various
European railway networks.

The on-board instrumentation of Italian trains, thanks to a single European
protocol, will also be able to interpret data transmitted over foreign railway
networks.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9895.shtml

Posted to the site on 13-Oct-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/