Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Aims To Put Flexibility Into Secondary Markets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:05:58 -0400

FCC Aims To Put Flexibility Into Secondary Markets 

By Mark Rockwell
October 8, 2003

WASHINGTON

The FCC issued a finalized text of its decision on wireless secondary markets on
its Web page yesterday to little fanfare, yet the impact of the new rules could be
immeasurable, commissioners say.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-113A1.doc

The commission's 200-page report and order on wireless secondary markets was
hailed by most of the FCC commissioners as a landmark for wireless regulation.
Although it voted on the issue last spring, it didn't issue final rules until
yesterday. 

The new rules will allow greater flexibility for spectrum holders by permitting
them to more easily lease their spectrum to others. The rules essentially
eliminate the FCC's prior approval for license transfer. The new regulations, says
FCC chairman Michael Powell, would allow license holders that want to serve only
the most densely populated areas to quickly and easily lease the balance of their
spectrum to others.

"I believe that adoption of today's report and order shepherds in a monumental
shift in spectrum policy in the United States," FCC commissioner Kathleen
Abernathy said in a prepared statement. "This item recognizes the importance of
creating a market-based approach to regulation by creating a secondary market for
spectrum."  

Dissent came from Commissioner Michael Copps, however. Although he
enthusiastically supported the ideas in the rules, he had a fundamental problem
with how licenses would transfer to secondary companies without intense scrutiny
by the commission.
 
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=127490&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/