Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Amateur to Turn in Ticket in Police Radio Interference Case

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:28:14 -0400

Amateur to Turn in Ticket in Police Radio Interference Case

NEWINGTON, CT, Oct 13, 2003--The FCC says an Indiana amateur has agreed to
relinquish his Amateur Radio operator license for two years as a result of
allegations that
he interfered with local police department radio transmissions. FCC Special
Counsel
Riley Hollingsworth outlined the terms of the agreement in a September 23 letter
to
Technician licensee Justin L. Whaley, KC9DCP, of Columbia City. According to the
letter, the FCC notified Whaley last March that close-proximity direction finding
evidence indicated that the licensee had interfered with the operation of the
Columbia
City Police Department radio system early this year.

"In order to resolve this matter, you agreed to relinquish your amateur operator
license
for two years, agreed not to maintain an amateur station and agreed not to use any

amateur station," Hollingsworth wrote. He said that since Whaley shut down his
station
last March 28, the agreement--which Whaley has not yet signed--would remain in
effect
until March 28, 2005. Hollingsworth requested that Whaley sign the letter and
return it
along with his Amateur Radio license to the FCC's Gettysburg office.

The FCC meanwhile is seeking additional information from three licensees who
allegedly
used ham gear to transmit on police or emergency frequencies as well as from one
licensee who allegedly operated beyond his license privileges.

Hollingsworth wrote General-class licensee Tom L. Christman, KB2NAV, of Albany,
New York, on September 22 regarding a complaint from the Albany County Sheriff's
Department's Office of Professional Standards. The FCC asked Christman--a
sheriff's
department maintenance worker--to respond to allegations that he used his ham
radio
transceiver to make transmissions on sheriff's department frequencies last
December
"without a legitimate purpose."

The Albany County Sheriff's Department supplied the FCC with a copy of a
deposition Christman signed last December 23. In
it, he indicated that he had programmed his amateur handheld transceiver to
transmit and receive on the sheriff's radio
frequency since around the time he was employed some two and a half years earlier.
Christman conceded in his deposition that
he had transmitted on a sheriff's department frequency and that he was aware that
he "had violated some laws in doing so."

The sheriff's department has requested that the FCC suspend or revoke Christman's
amateur license.

Hollingsworth also wrote two North Carolina Technician-class amateurs--Daniel E.
Buchanan, KF4LNE, of Montreat, and
Joseph S. "Shannon" Hutchins, KG4SXD, of Swannanoa--concerning complaints from the
Black Mountain Police Department
alleging that both had transmitted on police frequencies last February. The
transmissions apparently were made using a
handheld transceiver while Buchanan and Hutchins were in the same vehicle.

Documents from the Asheville/Buncombe County District Attorney's Office assert
that the Black Mountain police channel had
experienced "numerous transmissions" earlier this year on a police frequency
(156.01 MHz) "including verbal profanity and
racial slurs." A police officer who questioned Buchanan and Hutchins said they
admitted transmitting on police frequencies.
They later voluntarily signed statements to that effect in which each blamed the
other for making the racial slur.

The District Attorney's Office statement said that one transmission last February
8, while police were attempting to respond to
an auto accident involving multiple injuries, "prevented officers from
communication with dispatch or each other." Buchanan and
Hutchins also may face state charges in the case.

Hollingsworth this month also heard from amateurs in the Los Angeles area that
some repeater owners are shutting down their
machines due to alleged ongoing interference from Jack Gerritsen, formerly KG6IRO.
The FCC Wireless Telecommunications
Bureau set aside Gerritsen's license in 2001 a few days after granting it after
learning that he'd been convicted the previous year
on state charges of interfering with Los Angeles Police Department radio
transmissions. His application remains pending.

Imprisoned, paroled and imprisoned again after breaking parole for allegedly
having and operating radio equipment without a
license, Gerritsen was released early due to jail overcrowding.

Hollingsworth said the FCC continues to work the case, but he expressed
frustration that Gerritsen was let out of prison again
with no conditions or restrictions "even regarding radio, which is what he was in
there for in the first place."

In August Hollingsworth warned Gerritsen to stop contacting the FCC's Office of
Administrative Law Judges concerning his
case. He said Gerritsen should expect to receive a Hearing Designation Order in
the case. At a hearing, Gerritsen would bear
the burden of proof in showing that he is qualified to be a Commission licensee.

In other matters, the FCC also asked Yuriy Ryabinin, KC2LLM, of Brooklyn, New
York, to respond to allegations that he
operated on frequencies not allowed under his Technician ticket. "The operation
involved numerous contests as well as Field
Day 2003 and the 2003 IARU HF World Championship," Hollingsworth said. "Such
operation raises serious questions
regarding your qualifications to be a Commission licensee."

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/10/13/100/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:49:30 -0400

Why can't we get Riley Hollingsworth (Da-Hammer) to solve the Nextel interference
issue. He will send Timmy and his cronies packing!

[email-masked] wrote:

> allegations that he interfered with local police department radio transmissions. FCC
> Special
> Counsel Riley Hollingsworth outlined the terms of the agreement in a September 23
> letter
> to Technician licensee Justin L