Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless, Lucent Stage W-CDMA Trial

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:37:03 -0400

AT&T Wireless, Lucent Stage W-CDMA Trial
BY SUSAN RUSH
OCTOBER 13, 2003

AT&T Wireless and Lucent Technologies are exploring the benefits of 3G W-CDMA
through a network trial in Miami. The deal marks Lucent's first such trial in
North America.

"The deal is Lucent's first W-CMDA deployment in North America," Lucent spokesman
Kurt Steinert tells news@2. The trial is an opportunity for both companies to
explore what 3G W-CDMA can offer end users in terms of services, he says. The
network, which is slated to be operational in early or mid-2004, will offer
customers the ability to download video clips, receive e-mail on the go and locate
nearby services. From a business customer perspective, the network will give
employees high-speed wireless access to business applications and corporate
networks.

As part of the deal, Lucent is supplying an end-to-end 3G W-CDMA technology-based
wireless network that incorporates Lucent's Flexent OneBTS base stations and core
packet networking solution, which includes the Lucent softswitch and data
networking platforms from Cisco Systems.

Lucent also is supplying W-CDMA wireless PC modem cards to support high-speed data
connections on laptops, PDAs and a variety of other wireless devices. "As far as
we know, we are the only supplier with PC data cards that are being used in a
deployment," Steinert says. AT&T has yet to determine which cards it plans to use
during the commercial deployment, but Lucent has exclusive relationships with
Novatel and Option.

The number of cell sites was not revealed, but Steinert says once the service is
deployed commercially, the network is expected to cover the greater Miami area.
The network will operate in AT&T Wireless' 1900 MHz spectrum.

The companies have been working together on the trial for a couple of months,
completing a series of voice and data calls on the network a few weeks ago.

Although this is the first W-CDMA deal for Lucent in North America, AT&T Wireless
announced a similar trial with Ericsson late last year. At the time of the
announcement, the companies said the trial would cover a network consisting of
roughly 100 cell sites in the Dallas area. In December, AT&T Wireless and DoCoMo
made a pact calling for AT&T Wireless to launch services using W-CDMA in four U.S.
markets by the end of 2004.

In February 2002, AT&T Wireless and Ericsson completed a 3G W-CDMA voice call from
AT&T Wireless' Washington headquarters, the first of its kind in the United
States, according to the companies.
AT&T Wireless has said the W-CDMA networks will allow it to significantly increase

subscriber capacity, reduce networking costs and increase data speeds required for

delivering wireless broadband 3G services to consumers and enterprise customers
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=10/13/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/