Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vanu, Mid-Tex deploy all-software base-station system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:57:07 -0400

Vanu, Mid-Tex deploy all-software base-station system

by Sam Omatseye
Oct. 06, 2003

In what they describe as the world’s first all-software
base station system, two companies believe they are
breaking new ground in second-generation access network
technology.

Vanu Inc. and Mid-Tex Cellular said they have completed a successful trial
deployment.

“This trial, the first of its kind, demonstrates the viability of a
software-defined radio base station solution and marks a significant milestone in
the effort to provide rural cellular operators with a more flexible,
cost-efficient wireless network,” said both companies.

The companies said the technology allows carriers to upgrade to new air interface
standards and deploy revenue-generating services. This avoids expensive network
hardware overlays, they said.

Rural carriers with second-generation systems, according to the companies, can
upgrade to third generation without huge capital investments.

“Future wireless networks that will simultaneously support combinations of AMPS,
TDMA, GSM/GPRS, EGDE, CDMA and 3G technologies will allow rural carriers to enter
into roaming agreements with multiple nationwide operators and support a myriad of
circuit switch, packet and multimedia services,” said the companies.

Vanu said its software radio technology has been integrated into Mid-Tex
Cellular’s 8,000-square-mile 800 MHz network at sites in DeLeon and Gorman, Texas.
Mid-Tex said it fielded the network with both base station transceivers and base
station controllers powered by Vanu software application running on Hewlett
Packard Proliant servers.

“Based on the portability of the software and its ability to run on
industry-standard servers, this flexible solution enables rural providers like
Mid-Tex Cellular to test new revenue-generating applications with subscribers, as
well as facilitate the carrier’s roaming agreements with nationwide operators such
as Cingular and AT&T Wireless,” said the companies.

“We took a chance on a leading-edge technology,” said Toney Prather, chief
executive officer of Mid-Tex, “and we are rewarded with the addition of a
feature-rich GSM system.” 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15344

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/