Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CDMA 1X on 450 Mhz

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 08:06:55 -0400

CDMA450 trials underway in Russia

UralWestcom, a joint venture between Russian Telecommunications Development
Corporation (RTDC) and Ural Svyaz Inform, has begun a trial of advanced wireless
services delivery over the 450 MHz radio spectrum using CDMA2000 1X Wireless Data
Network technology from Nortel Networks.

The trial is being conducted in Yekaterinburg, whose nearly 1.5 million people
make it Russia's fourth largest city. Trial completion is expected in the fourth
quarter of 2003.
"This trial demonstrates our commitment to the 450 MHz market in Russia and
Eastern Europe, and is a significant part of Nortel Networks strategy to provide
cost-effective wireless data solutions for wireless operators," said Richard
Piasentin, president, Wireless Data Networks, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa),
Nortel Networks.

"CDMA 450 is gathering momentum and gaining attention from operators in Eastern
Europe and Asia, mainly because it is relatively inexpensive to deploy," said
Jason Chapman, principal analyst, Mobile Communications, Gartner. "The lower
450MHz frequency translates into less towers and base stations compared with
traditional 900 MHz GSM or 800 MHz CDMA systems. This would be particularly
pertinent when trying to cover vast regions such as Russia."

Nortel Networks infrastructure equipment being used in the trial includes CDMA
Metro Cell radio base stations (BTS), CDMA Base Station Controllers (BSCs), CDMA
mobility switching, Packet Data Serving Node (PDSN) products, and commercial
handsets.

CDMA 450 can double the geographical coverage provided by today's 800 MHz CDMA
technology, which can reduce capital outlays for operators by reducing the number
of cell sites needed to support mobile coverage areas. It can also reduce the need
for operators to purchase additional radio spectrum beyond initial 450 MHz
investments.

CDMA 450 is an established industry standard and has been approved by the Russian
government for use by operators of Nordic Mobile Telephone (NMT) analogue networks
seeking to migrate to third generation CDMA technology.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9851.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/