Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: In building coverage: FCC Rule Violation..Answer From FCC!]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:59:22 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: In building coverage: FCC Rule Violation..Answer From FCC!

The FCC's short yet informative answer to the query.  

Jack - it has been crossposted to the other group already.

Mark

You are receiving this email in response to your inquiry to the FCC 
on 10/6/2003 12:39:56 PM.

Thank you for contacting the FCC.

47 CFR 90.219 and 47 CFR 22.283 both include the same term to 
identify who is eligible to utilize these devices, the licensee.

Dear FCC Representative,

I am in search of the clarification of the FCC rule stated above on 
the ability of a private, non-FCC licensed individual, to install a 
signal booster (aka Bi-Directional Amplifier) to amplify signals 
above 150 MHz (specificially 800 and 1.9 GHz) inside of a private 
building.  In my interpretation of the FCC rule as I tried to explain 
to an individual that the said installation of such a system can only 
be authorized and/or installed by a "licensee" holding a Part 90 or 
Part 22 license (or their authorized sub-contractor) and he , as a 
private individual" is not allowed to freely install such a system as 
he is not the "licensee".

This individual is under the impression that because the signal 
booster (BDA) is an un-regulated device he has the ability to install 
these units without the concurrence of the Cellular/PCS providers 
without their knowledge.  Of course we are at a blockage here as the 
manufacturers of these devices (specificially Andrew Corp.) have also 
advised him that he doesn't need any type of authorization to install 
such a device to amplify someone else's licensed channels.

For your convenience I have cut and pasted the rule along with my 
contact phone number below if you would like to speak directly with 
me.  

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Mark

FCC RULE deleted to shorten post.

Representative Number : TSR17

> > 
> > Jack Daniel
> > ================================================
> > 
> > Mark wrote:
> > > 
> > > While were on the topic, I'm having an interesting debate with 
an
> > > individual on another board.  He insists that a private 
individual
> > > can legally install a BDA (purchased from lets say Andrew) and
> > > install in a building to amplify the cell signal so his 
cellphone
> > > works.
> > > I have always been under the impression that although the FCC 
> doesn't
> > > regulate the installation of BDA's, you can't put one in to 
> amplify
> > > someone else's signal with or without their permission.  He 
states
> > > that he called Andrew and the FCC and received a thumbs up from 
> both
> > > of them as you don't need permission and its a free for all.  I
> > > looked thru Part 90 and didn't find anything concrete.  Anyone 
> have
> > > anything concrete of should I let it drop?
> > > 
> > > Thanks
> > > Mark
> > >

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/