Subject: [NEXTEL-1] al-Qaida Had Plans for More U.S. Attacks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:10:20 -0400

Updated: 10-12-2003 05:33:23 PM

al-Qaida Had Plans for More U.S. Attacks

JOHN J. LUMPKIN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Some of the al-Qaida operatives whose activities led to a U.S.
security warning last month have been captured, while others remain at large, U.S.
counterterrorism authorities say.

``We have received a lot of good information from these detainees over the past
several weeks and corroborated the fact there were active plans, ongoing, to
conduct another attack in the United States,'' said William H. Parrish, a top
intelligence official with the Homeland Security Department, during a recent
interview with The Associated Press.

``This attack as they indicated was probably going to be multiple attacks,
simultaneous,'' he said.

The al-Qaida member include some lieutenants operating in Saudi Arabia. Their
leader, Abu Bakr al-Azdi, turned himself in in June; his deputy was killed in a
recent shootout with Saudi forces.

``We also know there were also other members involved with this planning that are
still loose,'' Parrish said.

Parrish, the acting assistant secretary for information analysis at Homeland
Security, said the threat posed by this group remains one of the top domestic
terrorism concerns.

On Sept. 4, the department issued a warning to security personnel suggesting an
al-Qaida attack was in the works. It offered a number of potential threats; atop
the list were concerns terrorists would again hijack airplanes and use them as
weapons.

But the precise nature of the threat remains unclear. Enter Parrish, whose charge
is to turn vague, uncertain intelligence into coherent, useful warnings for
police, emergency workers and corporate security officials.

He now has about 60 intelligence analysts working for him _ a tiny shop compared
with operations at the CIA and FBI. His group also must find a role distinct from
the Terrorist Threat Integration Center, the new operation designed to share
information between the FBI, CIA and other agencies on terrorist plots.

All that would seem to leave little room for Parrish's operation, which is part of
the larger Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection Office at Homeland
Security. Indeed, many initially believed that Homeland Security would perform the
function eventually given to the threat center.

While working with state, local and corporate security personnel, Parrish also has
some authority to direct intelligence-gathering by the CIA and other agencies to
suit his needs.

For example, Homeland Security officials are pushing for U.S. interrogators to
press al-Qaida prisoners to find out if the organization has the know-how to pull
off the scenarios that members describe, he said.

If the prisoner talks of a plot to blow up a major suspension bridge, for example,
Parrish wants to find out if Osama bin Laden's training camps held classes on the
finer points of such bridge design.

``How many mechanical engineers does he have sitting on his bench?'' Parrish said.
``How many people does he have that know and understand where the structural
weaknesses are in a bridge to be able to affect them? What were those skill sets
that he taught in the training camps?''

Parrish also has customs and immigration officers work directly with intelligence
analysts to advise them on what sort of information would be useful to their
colleagues in the field.

Other intelligence agencies are providing Parrish's department with all the
information it asks for, he said. Critics castigated the CIA and FBI for failing
to share terrorism information before the Sept. 11 attacks.

But Parrish said he worries that complacency is setting in, particularly among
state and local authorities who have spent millions on security efforts and
overtime but seen no real effect, except for an absence of terrorism, which may or
may not be because of their efforts.

Like others, Parrish says he wonders why al-Qaida has not attacked inside the
United States yet.

``Al-Qaida has always been focused and committed to the spectacular attacks,''
Parrish said. ``The individual suicide bomber, although certainly within (bin
Laden's) grasp to be able to execute, may not fit into that strategy.''

But that could change, he warned.

``I think at some point, in time, like any organization, you go back and review
that strategy,'' he said.

 http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=1&id=20079

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/