Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE explores 60 GHz networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 08:09:09 -0400

From Design Engineering, 03 October 2003, in Communications
IEEE explores 60 GHz networks

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has formed an interest group
to explore the use of the 60 GHz band for wireless personal area networks (WPANs),
which generally have a range of 10 metres.

This little-used, 7 GHz-wide portion of the radio spectrum (as defined in FCC 47
CFR 15.255) avoids interference with nearly all electronic devices, given the high
attenuation of these wavelengths by walls and floors, and promises to allow more
WPANs to occupy the same building.

The IEEE 802.15.3 Millimeter Wave Interest Group (mmWIG) was formed in July 2003
as part of an effort to develop a millimetre-wave-based alternative physical layer
(PHY) for the IEEE high-rate WPAN standard, IEEE 802.15.3-2003.  Interest groups
are the first step in the creation of a standard.

The initial meeting of the IEEE mmWIG was held in Singapore in September. Future
meetings are scheduled for 9 to 14 November in Albuquerque, NM, USA, and January
12-16 in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

http://www.e4engineering.com/item.asp?id=50088&type=news

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/