Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Padcom & Panasonic Announce Static IP Solution, Lifting a Major Obstacle to Public Safety Adoption of Next Generation Wireless Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:38:52 -0400

October 22, 2003 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Padcom & Panasonic Announce Static IP Solution, Lifting a Major Obstacle to Public
Safety Adoption of Next Generation Wireless Networks

BETHLEHEM, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 22, 2003--
  Software Offer Gives Public Safety Agencies the Ability to Easily Migrate from
CDPD to New, Faster CDMA and GPRS Networks While Maintaining the Security and
Operational Consistency of Current Networks Which Use Static IP Addressing
 Padcom(R), Inc., an established leader in mobile data solutions for enterprises,
today announced as a service to help public safety agencies meet their changing
wireless network needs, Padcom's TotalRoam(R) Connect mobile data software will be
offered at no charge to law enforcement agencies transitioning from Cellular
Digital Packet Data (CDPD) networks to next-generation networks such as Code
Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). In
conjunction with Padcom's "Proud To Serve" program, geared to maximize network
effectiveness for public safety agencies, the "Proud to Serve" free static IP
offer provided by TotalRoam(R) Connect will help ease the transition from CDPD. By
managing the dynamic IP addressing used by both CDMA and GPRS, allowing agencies
to take advantage of benefits associated with next-generation networks and by
enabling customers to maintain the software and processes in which they have
already invested, the software reduces agency dependency on constraints set by
CDMA and GPRS networks that have not yet integrated static IP addressing.

Beginning November 17, 2003 Padcom(R) will introduce the "Proud to Serve" free
static IP offer through Panasonic, the leading provider of ruggedized portable
computers for professionals. Panasonic was chosen for this offer because of its
long-standing relationships and strong reputation within the public safety market.
Additionally, when the integrated wireless options of the Panasonic Toughbooks(R)
are combined with Padcom's TotalRoam(R) Connect software, an ideal comprehensive
mobile data platform is created for officers in the field, increasing productivity
and improving public safety.
"With this announcement, Padcom(R) is directly addressing one of the major
obstacles faced by public safety departments as they move from CDPD to other
public data networks", says Iain Gillott, principal and founder of
iGillottResearch, a market research consultancy focused on the wireless and mobile
industry. "Recent research on the public safety sector clearly shows that the
majority of departments consider the need for 128-bit encryption and static IP
addressing to be major requirements for their new networks".

Last year, carriers announced a phase-out of the analog CDPD networks, some of
which will take effect June 30, 2004. Important to note is that a great majority
of customers using the eight-year-old network are public safety agencies that rely
on CDPD to distribute data to officers on patrol. One obstacle to transition for
the typically tight-budgeted agency IT departments is that CDPD networks provide a
static IP address for each user. The CDMA1xRTT and GPRS networks that agencies are
typically transitioning to use dynamic IP addressing, rendering much of agencies'
software, hardware, and daily processes difficult, or impossible, to operate on
the new networks.

By incorporating TotalRoam(R) Connect into the Toughbook(R), Panasonic and
Padcom(R) can help public safety agencies reduce costs and increase officer
confidence levels during the transition from CDPD. In addition to providing access
to high speed networks and to software currently in use, TotalRoam'(R) Connect's
static IP addressing also allows agencies to push information to field officers in
real time and maintains access to NCIC and federal databases that require a
constant, trusted IP address.

"We see the Proud To Serve free static IP offer as a 'win-win' for everyone
involved," said Scott Stone, senior VP of marketing, sales and services, Padcom,
Inc. "Customers can take advantage of recently announced carrier free service
offers, plus enjoy the benefits of our free static IP software offer, allowing
them to preserve capital for mobile infrastructure enhancements like 802.11
build-outs and private RF upgrades. Program resellers can offer customers a
high-value solution at no charge, and carriers can fill a critical missing piece
for the success of their next-generation networks - without incurring any
expense."

Agencies that require enhanced information access and better bandwidth management
can later choose an easy and affordable upgrade to other TotalRoam(R) solution
packages that will enhance the utility of both the Panasonic Toughbook(R) and the
TotalRoam(R) software. The TotalRoam(R) upgrade builds on the Toughbook's(R)
capabilities, such as ruggedized, on-the-go access to information and embedded
wide-area network (WAN) and wireless local area network (WLAN) transceivers, by
providing roaming between multiple active networks. Officers in the field will be
able to effortlessly draw on the speed of WLANs with the access of WANs and even
make private RF networks a seamless part of their mobile virtual network. Also,
they can benefit from data interoperability between departments using different
communications technologies and database.
"We look forward to working with Padcom to develop solutions that will assist law
enforcement agencies improve emergency response times, protect first responders,
and take full advantage of all available resources," says Kevin Martin, Wireless
Business Development Manager for Panasonic Computer Solutions Company
.
Public safety agencies that would like to take advantage of the "Proud To Serve"
free static IP offer should contact Padcom(R) or Panasonic to locate a Panasonic
reseller for details.

 http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031022005135&newsLang=en