Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 1st Time- FCC PROPOSES TO FINE FOUR LICENSEES TOTAL OF $40,000 FORJOINTLY VIOLATING RF RADIATION LIMITS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:51:25 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
October 22, 2003      Suzanne Tetreault at (202) 418-7450

[email-masked]

FCC PROPOSES TO FINE FOUR LICENSEES TOTAL OF $40,000 FOR
JOINTLY VIOLATING RF RADIATION LIMITS

Washington, D.C. – Today, for the first time, the FCC proposed forfeitures against
four licensees for violating the radiofrequency radiation maximum permissible
exposure limits at a multi-user site where the power density level produced by
each individual licensee was within acceptable limits, but the cumulative effect
exceeded the limits established by the FCC.  The transmitters at issue are located
on Mt. Wilson, in Los Angeles, California.  The Commission proposed a forfeiture
of $10,000 for each station, for a total of $40,000.

FCC rules establish maximum permissible exposure (MPE) limits for radiofrequency
radiation (RFR) from FCC-regulated transmitters.  If these limits are exceeded due
to the cumulative RFR emissions of multiple transmitters, as at Mt. Wilson, then
all of the licensees whose transmitters produce power density levels exceeding 5%
of the power density exposure limit applicable to their particular transmitter
share responsibility for reducing RFR to permissible levels.

FCC agents inspecting the Mt. Wilson transmitter site determined that RFR levels
in a publicly accessible area, located approximately 100 feet from a U.S. Post
Office, exceeded the maximum permissible exposure limits by 60.5%.  Measurements
taken by the agents revealed that transmitters for four stations, KBIG-FM, KKBT,
KRTH-FM, and KWHY-TV, each were producing RFR power density levels at
significantly more than 5% of the public RFR MPE limits in this area.  In
addition, the agents found that the licensees of the four stations failed to take
adequate steps to prevent the public from accessing areas that exceeded the RFR
exposure limits.  Shortly after the violation was brought to the stations’
attention by the FCC, however, they took steps to limit public access to the area
where the radiofrequency radiation exceeded the maximum permissible exposure
limits.

The Commission issued Notices of Apparent Liability for $10,000 each to AMFM Radio
Licenses, L.L.C. (“AMFM”), licensee of FM radio station KBIG-FM; Radio One
Licenses, LLC (“Radio One”), licensee of FM radio station KKBT; Infinity
Broadcasting Operations, Inc. (“Infinity”), licensee of FM radio station KRTH-FM;
and Telemundo of Los Angeles License Corporation (“Telemundo”), licensee of TV
station KWHY-TV, all serving Los Angeles, California.

Action by the Commission on October 20, 2003, by Notice of Apparent Liability for
Forfeiture (FCC 03- 258).   Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps,
Martin and Adelstein.

– FCC –

Enforcement Bureau Contacts:  Suzanne Tetreault at (202) 418-7450 or Kathy Harvey
at
(202) 418-7514.
TTY:  1 (888) 835-5322

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-240190A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/