Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sheriff's office wins upgrade to radio system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:37:15 -0400

Sheriff's office wins upgrade to radio system

By Michael Erskine
[email-masked]
October 14, 2003

Shelby County sheriff's deputies will soon be able to communicate with dispatchers
and officers in at least 90 percent of the areas they travel and patrol in the
county. 

The County Commission agreed Monday to a short-term solution costing up to
$850,000 to fix a communications system that does not work in as much as 43
percent of the county. 

The money will buy 150 new radios and will pay for the Sheriff's Department to tap
into two-way radio towers used by Memphis Police and Memphis Light, Gas and Water
Division officials. 

Officials are still working to overhaul completely the sheriff's communications
system at a cost of $13 million. 

"In two years we should have our new system completely online," Sheriff Mark
Luttrell said Monday. 

The department's current three-tower arrangement has left deputies toting radios
with static, no signal or broken communications in many areas of the county. 

Luttrell said the lack of an adequate system has put the lives of deputies at
risk. He said the department has been fortunate to avoid a tragedy. 

In other matters, the commission voted, 12-1, to re-appoint John Elkington to the
Center City Commission.

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_2345241,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/