Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New radios face legacy, commercial hurdles-Interference Solution? True P-25 Interoperablity Not Far Away.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:08:04 -0400

New radios face legacy, commercial hurdles-Interference Solution?
Software Defined Receiver Manipulation May Be The Solution For Adjacent Channel
and OOBE  Interference. True P-25 Interoperablity Not Far Away.

BY Matthew French
Oct. 14, 2003

BOSTON -- The military's goal of software-programmable radios is closer than ever
to becoming reality, but the Defense Department needs to determine how they'll fit
with legacy systems and commercial standards, vendors involved in developing the
Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) said today.

JTRS uses software-defined radios that can search for available frequencies and
waveforms and adapt on the fly to ensure constant connectivity. The radios serve
as command and control devices, and can provide data communications and
situational awareness to users or anyone on the network.
Speaking today at the Milcom 2003 conference here, senior scientists and research
directors from four participating companies outlined the challenges ahead.

"There is still going to be significant overlap between JTRS and software-defined
radios, and legacy radios," said Peter Camana, director of advanced systems at
ViaSat Inc. "We must support both simultaneously, and then the deployment plan is
going to be very important. The logistics costs could double if we simply deploy
two radios (one JTRS and one legacy) at a time."

The first adopters of the technology will not only have to pay more for them, but
may not be able to take full advantage of the system's capabilities because it
will be so far ahead of legacy systems, Camana said.
"We can't overburden ourselves with a large infrastructure," he said, referring to
the commercial practice of developing an infrastructure and then populating it
with devices or nodes. "We can't build an infrastructure and then add on the end
units. In the military, the drive is to have everyone be a node on the net to
handle a dynamic battlefield."

JTRS is a new arena that is continually evolving, according to John Fidden, senior
scientist at Harris Corp. The path forward, he said, includes a dichotomy between
military and commercial standards.
"Since we're [mostly] adopting commercial standards, we are bringing into the JTRS
environment the vulnerabilities in those standards," Fidden said.

Those standards, he said, can be a double-edged sword because they constantly
evolve, and the pace of that change often determines success or failure. If the
evolution is too slow, the technology outpaces the standards; too fast, and the
technology cannot keep pace with them.

Planning the next-generation battle space will bring more challenges than ever due
in large part to the myriad technology available to Defense officials, said Dave
Lofquist, director of emerging systems at the Boeing Co.

Add to the mix a dynamic device such as JTRS, and a number of concerns will have
to be continuously monitored. Does the waveform or frequency interfere or conflict
with existing forms in the theater of operations? Are there too many technical
options for battlefield commanders?
"We are making the model work as we speak," said Jeff Bard, president of Space
Coast Communications in Melbourne, Fla. "It's an ongoing process and it's an
undefined model as of yet."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/