Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Good Housekeeping Selects Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect Walkie-talkie Service as Most Reliable for Emergency Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:34:07 -0400

Good Housekeeping Selects Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect Walkie-talkie Service
as Most Reliable for Emergency Communications.

Tuesday October 14, 9:21 am ET

Coast-to-coast Walkie-talkie Service Provides Instant Access When Seconds Count

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 14, 2003-- Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL - News) announced today that the Good Housekeeping Institute
recommends Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect(SM) walkie-talkie service for
instant communication in the event of an emergency.

After testing communications services from Nextel and two other wireless carriers,
Good Housekeeping Institute's engineers found Nationwide Direct Connect
walkie-talkie service made its connections the most often. The results were
published in the September issue of Good Housekeeping magazine.

"Our engineers were impressed Nationwide Direct Connect walkie-talkie service
functioned in several different areas, including a busy bus terminal and the
basement of a 12-story building in a dense section of New York City," said John
Kupsch, technical director, Good Housekeeping Institute.

"In an emergency, such as hurricanes, tornadoes or floods, split-seconds count and
being able to get right through is vital. For more than ten years, Nextel has
perfected a very secure, highly dependable, all-digital network. The Nationwide
Direct Connect walkie-talkie service allows anyone to immediately connect to
approximately 13 million other subscribers," said Mark Schweitzer, senior vice
president, marketing, Nextel.

Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect walkie-talkie service allows instant contact
across thousands of miles. In less than one second, Nextel subscribers can
communicate with approximately 13 million other subscribers of Nextel, Nextel
Partners and Nextel Mexico throughout the continental United States, Hawaii and
northern Baja California, Mexico.

About Good Housekeeping Institute

The Good Housekeeping magazine is an American icon of consumer protection and
quality assurance. Its research lab, the Good Housekeeping Institute, has been a
trusted source of consumer education and product evaluation since 1900. Within the
departments of engineering, chemistry, home care, food appliances, nutrition,
beauty and textiles, the Institute has dedicated teams of professionals whose
expertise covers a full range of consumer goods and services. The Institute's
findings are published in several popular features in the Good Housekeeping
magazine, including "Buyer's Guide," "Good Housekeeping Institute Reports,"
"Testing, Testing" and "Good Buy Awards."
About Nextel
Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading
provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has built the
largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country covering thousands
of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc.,
currently serve 293 of the top 300 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches,
Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S. where
approximately 243 million people live or work.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031014/145577_1.html

Contact:
Nextel Communications
Media Contact:
Aaron Radelet, 703-433-8246
or
Investor Contact:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:48:51 -0400

We can all rest assured now that Good House Keeping says Direct Connect is the most
reliable for Emergency Communications (NOT)!

I guess the massive P-25  system that INS  built was a waste of time??  This type of
advertisement is just plain scary.  Jane Consumer, Pete the Policeman and Frank The
Fireman will bet their lives on  a  system that does not even meet the old APCO 16
standards.  Good House Keeping should  be ashamed about making such an unsubstantiated
statement. Looks like they forgot about the recent blackout when Nextel lost hundreds
(if not thousands of sites) for over 24hrs. Most sites have NO GENERATORS!  Good House
Keeping is out of their element on this one.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:24:16 -0700

Nextel gets Good Housekeeping's approval as an 'emergency'
communications device.

I'm sure every public safety agency is duly impressed.

The girls at Aunt Millie's wednesday afternoon sewing circle is also
testing this service and an endorsement may be imminent.

===================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                        [Click Here!]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->