Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Commerce Secretary Hails Expansion Of Digital Freedom Initiative

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:43:52 -0500

Commerce Secretary Hails Expansion Of Digital Freedom Initiative

ACommerce Secretary Don Evans on Friday applauded the announcement by President
Bush at the APEC leaders meeting of the expansion of the Digital Freedom
Initiative (DFI) to Peru and Indonesia.
Evans launched the DFI in March 2003 at the White House. The goal of the DFI is to
promote economic growth by transferring the benefits of information and
communications technology (ICT) to entrepreneurs and small businesses in the
developing world. The approach is innovative and leverages the leadership of the
U.S. government, the creativity and resources of America’s leading companies, and
the vision and energy of entrepreneurs throughout the developing world.

“We have learned that technology is the fuel that drives entrepreneurism,” Evans
said in a prepared statement. “The DFI will help build greater opportunities for
growth around the world and provide a platform for U.S. technology companies to
engage in promising new markets. I commend the President for this expansion and
for promoting the DFI within the APEC region.”

The DFI is a public-private partnership that is led by the Commerce Department’s
Technology Administration (TA) and the USAID in collaboration with the Department
of State, Peace Corps and USA FreedomCorps. The DFI also is part of the global
White House initiative platform, Volunteers for Prosperity. Since March 2003, a
pilot program has been operating in Senegal. This effort has attracted the support
of over 40 U.S. private sector companies and organizations.

In Senegal, the DFI has developed a number of specific projects that enable more
effective and efficient financial services through ICT, improve the performance of

small and medium-sized enterprises through ICT, and support a pro-competitive
policy and regulatory environment.
http://www.telecomweb.com/news/st6.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ybSovB/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/