Subject: [NEXTEL-1] State Fair Opens Wednesday

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:17:28 -0400

State Fair Opens Wednesday
By Roslyn Anderson
[email-masked]
Wednesday is the day that kids and many who are kids at heart have waited for all
year. At 5pm, the gates officially open to the 144th Mississippi State Fair.

Well into the night Tuesday, fair workers were getting ready for the big day.
The night before the start of the fair, the midway lights twinkled and fair
workers were busy assembling and testing all the rides.
Earlier in the day, engineer Michael Hupalo began conducting one of the hundreds
of necessary ride inspections.
He and his team will check everything from proper bolt usage to restraints and
weight and height requirements.
Hupalo says, "We inspect the rides and the attractions from the time they arrive
and they're still on the truck, while they're being assembled through a variety of
stages, and of course some are more complex than others, so they take more effort
and more time."

When everything is up and ready, fair goers will see five new rides on the
fairway.
Fair Commission executive director Mike Brinkley says, "We're trying to beautify
this fair."
Brinkley says families will find a new atmosphere.

"Every booth has got to be landscaped. Every booth for an eating area has got to
be fenced in. This is another safety feature where people don't go from one side
of the midway to the other. There will be benches for people to sit down on, big
umbrellas." And it will be safer for children in the event they get lost.

This year, Nextel will register children eight and under, issuing them armbands
with locator numbers. The child's name and their parent's name will also be
printed on the armband.

Brinkley says, "They call that number that's on that armband. That goes directly
to the Nextel booth. The Nextel booth is right by the sheriff's department. The
sheriff's department is dispatched by walkie talkies and goes to that child."
Brinkley says they are hoping to top last year's attendance of 583,000 guests.

Regular admission to the fair is $5. Children six and under get in free.
Wednesday, on opening day, admision is only $4.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1464369

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/