Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IP Networking By Satellite With LinkStar

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:19:08 -0400

IP Networking By Satellite With LinkStar
Backgrounder
Comsat Laboratories

Rev. C 9/02 1 IP NETWORKING BACKGROUNDER
IP Networking by Satellite with LinkStar

IP changing the world and in a dramatic way. First developed for the US partment
of Defense (DoD) in the 1970s as a means to interconnect vernment computer
systems, the Internet Protocol has become the twork protocol of choice in the past
three years. The concept of interconnecting computers of all sizes has not only
revolutionized the world of data networking as we know it, but it has already
changed the way we communicate electronically, advertise products and services,
and conduct business using the Internet.

And in business applications, whether interconnecting clients to servers over
local area (LAN) or wide-area (WAN) networks, IP has emerged as the protocol of
choice as well. Even software/LAN manufactures that once supported only their own
proprietary LAN protocols now offer IP-based LAN networking. Clearly, IP and the
Internet will continue to dramatically influence how the world communicates over
the next 10 years.

Satellite Can Be The Best Choice For IP Networking

There are major challenges to providing reliable, cost effective and efficient
data communication for businesses. With the paradigm shift over the past five
years from centralized host computers to a network of distributed servers and
their clients, effective data networking has taken on whole new degrees of
importance and meaning. In many instances these new requirements can’t be met with
terrestrial communications. Sometimes there is no terrestrial network connecting
the required locations. In other instances expensive, budget-challenging,
dedicated lines are the only alternative. In still other instances there is a lack
of bandwidth or the necessary interconnecting topologies are not available. BIG
data volumes are in — and will continue to grow.

There is a huge amount of research and product development occurring globally in
IP and related protocols such as IP multicasting, RSVP reservation, reliable
transport and streaming protocols. Because of our many years of experience in
developing products for the DoD, ViaSat has been working in product development
for IP and other standard networking protocols well before the Internet became
popular.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/