Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DHS wants public safety communications tech

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:03:20 -0400

DHS wants public safety communications tech
BY Judi Hasson
Oct. 23, 2003

The Homeland Security Department seeks ideas to develop technology that will allow
more than 44,000 public safety agencies nationwide communicate with each other in
an emergency.

In a request for information released this week, Safecom program officials said
they are looking for ways to create interoperable and wireless communications
networks for public safety officers that include state and local agencies and more
than 100 federal ones.  Safecom is working with federal communications officials
and public safety officials to develop better technologies for communications
systems. But in its call for information, it is now looking for help from both the
vendor and academic communities.

"Inadequate and unreliable wireless communications are serious issues plaguing
public safety," the RFI said. "In many instances, agencies lack the technology
necessary to perform their mission-critical duties. Such agencies are unable to
share critical voice or data information in routine day-to-day operations ... and
in large-scale events such as acts of terrorism and natural disasters."

Communication was a major problem for public safety officers when terrorists
attacked the Pentagon and World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, and first
responders could not get in touch with each other.
Safecom, a national public safety wireless interoperability initiative, is
designed to enhance communications among first responders. It is one of the 24
cross-agency e-government initiatives highlighted by the Bush administration and
became part of Homeland Security's Science and Technology Directorate earlier this
year.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/1020/web-safecom-10-23-03.asp

--
"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1
"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2
"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/