Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sheriff pleased with radio test

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:14:50 -0400

Thursday, October 23, 2003

Sheriff pleased with radio test

By Bob Holliday
Pantagraph staff

BLOOMINGTON -- A
demonstration of what could
be the emergency radio
system of the future has
impressed McLean County
Sheriff Dave Owens.

"I'm very optimistic that (the
StarCom 21 system) will
meet our needs," Owens
said Wednesday. He said the
system could improve safety
for both the public and police.

The system could replace one that sheriff's deputies and other
police agencies have criticized. That system, by E.F. Johnson,
was put into service about six years ago.

Complaints about poor reception with the 800-MHz Johnson
system got so bad that both Bloomington and Normal returned
to 400-MHz systems.

Owens' department will remain on the Johnson system until a
new one can be thoroughly tested.

The sheriff said he hopes the StarCom 21 system, being built
by Motorola, is ready for testing in the spring.

Wednesday's demonstration of the 800-MHz digital system was
done with only two towers -- one at Watterson Towers at Illinois
State University and the other at Moraine View State Park near
LeRoy.

Owens said he hopes towers at Congerville, Pontiac, Melvin
and Lincoln are active in time for spring testing.

"From what we saw today, there's no doubt in my mind that they
(Motorola) will be able to do it. They were close with only two
(tower) sites," Owens said.

Owens said he spent six hours visiting eight McLean County
towns during the demonstration.

McLean County has money to join the system because of a $2.2
million federal grant that will provide radios and pagers.

The McLean County Emergency Telephone System Board will
kick in $733,000 in matching money.

Contact Bob Holliday [email-masked]

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/102303/new_20031023035.shtml
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/