Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Camera phones outsell conventional digital cameras

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:22:49 -0400

Camera phones outsell conventional digital cameras

Strategy Analytics' latest report shows camera phones outsold digital still
cameras (DSC) worldwide, for the first time ever, in the first half of 2003. Neil
Mawston, Senior Analyst, Strategy Analytics' Global Wireless Practice, notes "25
million camera phones were shipped worldwide, compared with just 20 million
digital still cameras, in the first half of 2003. This is a milestone event, but
it is just the first step towards the industry goal of getting a camera phone in
every pocket."

David Kerr, VP, Global Wireless Practice, states, "The booming camera phone
market, a US$49 Billion global opportunity by the end of 2008, will open up new
battlegrounds for not just cell phone makers, but DSC, CMOS / CCD camera module,
memory, battery and display vendors, too."

The report also expects that 65 million camera phones will be sold worldwide in
2003, driven largely by frenzied growth in Japan and Korea. NEC and Panasonic were
the top two camera phone vendors worldwide, each with 15 percent market share in
the first half of 2003. Nokia followed in third with a 14 percent share.

In the near-term, camera phones are no serious threat to the consumer digital
still camera market. The picture quality differential between camera phones and
digital still cameras is too great to be a threat in 2004; and camera phones will
account for 13 percent of global handset sales in 2003. Security and privacy
concerns in the corporate market represent one potential problem for the
cameraphone market. However, the bigger challenge remains pushing camera phones to
mass market price points.

Posted to the site on 01-Oct-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9834.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/