Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SCANA Teams with Padcom, XcelleNet for Wireless Data Management; Improves Service to Customers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:45:32 -0400

SCANA Teams with Padcom, XcelleNet for Wireless Data Management; Improves Service
to Customer

ATLANTA--Oct. 17, 2003--Padcom's TotalRoam Mobile Connectivity Suite
and XcelleNet's Afaria deliver all-in-one solution for utility field service
across
North and South Carolina

Padcom, Inc., an established leader in mobile virtual network solutions for
enterprises, and XcelleNet, Inc., the leading provider of management solutions for
the front lines of business, today announce that SCANA Corporation (NYSE:SCG) is
implementing a combined solution of Padcom's TotalRoam(R) Mobile Connectivity
Suite (MCS) and XcelleNet's Afaria.  Leveraging the combined strengths of these
products will create a comprehensive wireless data access and management solution
for SCANA's major energy subsidiaries, allowing it to support some 325
field-service technicians with real-time access to customer data and the
maintenance records for its complex energy network infrastructure.

The customers of SCANA subsidiaries South Carolina Electric & Gas (SCE&G) and PSNC
Energy depend on the electricity and natural gas that these companies provide. To
avoid unnecessary delays in restoring customers' service, company field
technicians must be able to evaluate the need for repairs, gather data regarding
installations and complete jobs - without having to leave the customer sites. The
TotalRoam/Afaria solution seamlessly supports field workers with always-on
connectivity and data management and synchronization, providing access to
important data as workers roam across disparate wireless networks, traveling
between rural and urban service areas.

To help avoid service interruptions, SCE&G and PSNC Energy must constantly perform
preventative maintenance on the vast amount of equipment located throughout its
service area. These tasks require a reliable, real-time exchange of specific
information about customers and equipment. The TotalRoam/Afaria solution ensures
that workers will have up-to-the-minute information by enabling seamless roaming
between public and private wide area networks and 802.11 hotspots. The solution
provides back-office benefits as well as frontline support. Field technicians are
able to facilitate information sharing, gain timely access to critical
applications and leverage high-speed data transfers with the unparalleled
reliability of a seamless solution tailored to their needs. Field service
management is able to view and direct all of its frontline activities and IT can
manage any platform in the field from a browser, reducing the overall management
costs associated with mobile communications.

"The growth in our business has made it imperative that our field employees have
immediate access to the information that will help them work more efficiently in
the field. This information will allow us to control repair times, lower costs,
and improve productivity," said Bill Lamprey, project coordinator, computer aided
dispatch of SCANA. "During site visits we made to existing joint customers of
Padcom and XcelleNet, we were excited to see that their comprehensive solution
delivers data and creates efficiency without adding layers of complexity for field
service technicians."

Lamprey continued, "These workers are repairing and maintaining a wide range of
sophisticated equipment - they need support tools that will work simply and
intuitively. We believe that the combination of Padcom and XcelleNet software
provides us with the simple-to-use, high quality solution for meeting our needs."

"Enterprises in the utility industry are finding that effective management of
mobile data devices and transparent access to critical information and
applications across multiple wireless networks are crucial to making field force
workers more productive," said Charles F. Cleary, CEO and president of Padcom,
Inc. "TotalRoam brings value to both the utilities and their customers by helping
them take advantage of next-generation networks that provide faster data transfers
and increased security, while maintaining the value of current investments in both
applications and infrastructure."

"XcelleNet is committed to helping enterprises break down the barriers to
successful mobile deployments," said Joan Herbig, CEO of XcelleNet.
"Organizations need to be assured that frontline workers have the information they
need to be engaged and productive, without having to deal with complex technology
in the field. We are excited that SCANA has chosen to include Afaria in this
solution and look forward to helping them provide the best in field service to the
customers that depend on the energy they provide."

About SCANA

SCANA Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Columbia, S.C., is a
registered holding company engaged, through subsidiaries, in regulated electric
and natural gas utility operations, telecommunications, and other diversified
energy-related businesses. The company serves 560,000 electric customers in South
Carolina and more than one million natural gas customers in North Carolina, South
Carolina, and Georgia.  Information about SCANA Corporation and its businesses is
available on the Company's Web site at www.scana.com.

About Padcom

Padcom is an established leader in providing mobile virtual network solutions to
enterprises, enabling wireless data and applications to work seamlessly across
multiple networks. Padcom's TotalRoam(R) platform helps clients benefit from
advanced wireless functionality such as static IP addressing for next-generation
networks with dynamic IP addressing, seamless roaming between dissimilar networks
(i.e., IP, non-IP, and wireline), and high-value administrative control over
mobile devices and applications. TotalRoam(R) MCS software helps clients overcome
the shortcomings of wireless data communication by bridging the gap between
wireline and wireless data communication, simplifying information flow, and
providing greater control for IT departments.

About TotalRoam(R)

Padcom's TotalRoam(R) MCS is a software platform that helps clients manage all
aspects of wireless data communication, from security to the integration of
multiple infrastructures to the control over individual applications. TotalRoam(R)
enables roaming by creating a mobile virtual network capable of supporting any
combination of RF, CDPD, GRPS, and iDEN networks, as well as CDMA 1xRTT, and
802.11 hotspots. The software helps users stay connected to departments' servers
and databases, while roaming between dissimilar networks. The mobile virtual
network created by TotalRoam(R) MCS enables clients to improve coverage and
capacity for enterprises, enabling mobile workers to focus on their job, free from
worrying about when and how they will remain connected. For more information,
visit Padcom's Web site at www.totalroam.com.

About XcelleNet

XcelleNet delivers success at the Point of Action. More than 2,500 companies
worldwide use XcelleNet's frontline management software solutions to achieve
success on their front lines, where critical customer-focused activities like
sales, field service and retail operations occur. XcelleNet increases worker
adoption of frontline solutions by ensuring they are simple to use and always
up-to-date, provides visibility to worker activities and experience, and drives
frontline action around processes and policies. To deliver solutions worldwide,
XcelleNet partners with global leaders such as Microsoft, HP, and Palm. For more
information, including case studies on successful customers like Novartis and
Blockbuster, visit www.xcellenet.com.

http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2003/oct/17/news4.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/