Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Multi-Tech MultiVOIP Voice over IP Gateway Frees Up Valuable T1 Bandwidth For Data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:17:18 -0400

Multi-Tech MultiVOIP Voice over IP Gateway Frees Up Valuable T1 Bandwidth For Data

GP Companies Gains Bandwidth Previously Dedicated to Traditional Voice Connections

MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- GP Companies, a world leader in dependable,
high performance pumps and pump accessories, is successfully utilizing
Multi-Tech's MultiVOIP Voice over IP gateway solution to free up T1 bandwidth
previously dedicated to traditional voice connections.  This bandwidth, now
available for data, has significantly increased the speed of their data network
that runs between the corporate and branch office.

The Challenge

GP Companies was in the process of installing a new Avaya phone system in their
branch office location, which is about three miles away from their corporate
headquarters in Mendota Heights, MN. They already had a dedicated T1 line
connecting the two offices and wanted to decrease the bandwidth they needed to run
voice over the T1 line so that they could free up more bandwidth for their data
network.
"We were looking to avoid the hassle and expense of having to install another T1
line between locations," explains Joe Igo, IT Manager at GP Companies. "What we
wanted was a dynamic bandwidth solution for our voice connections. MultiVOIP has
provided us with the answer."

The Solution

In the past, GP Companies had eight channels of their T1 line dedicated to their
voice connections. This meant that those lines were not available for data, even
when no one was using them.  With MultiVOIP, the lines are used only when a voice
call is being made between the sites. This frees up the bandwidth for data
packets, ultimately improving the speed and performance of their data network. In
addition, a MultiVOIP call requires only about one third of the bandwidth (17K
bps) as compared to a traditional dedicated channel for a voice call.

MultiVOIP is a point-to-point solution (one is required at each location) that
merges voice/fax from traditional telephones onto an IP network. It then utilizes
another MultiVOIP gateway at the remote end to separate the voice/fax from the
data network and sends it back to the receiving phone.
Implementation

At the corporate office, GP Companies connected an 8-port MultiVOIP gateway
directly to their Avaya Legend PBX via E&M. They utilized another 8-port MultiVOIP
gateway at the branch office and connected it directly to their Avaya Magix PBX
via E&M.

"Utilizing the new system is seamless to the users," said Igo. "Anyone utilizing
one of our 50 phones in the corporate office simply dials an extension to reach a
co-worker at our remote site. In fact, most users have no idea they are making a
Voice over IP call."

The MultiVOIP gateways are also able to pass-through the "message waiting light"
function utilized by the Avaya Legend PBX to administer centralized voice mail.
For example, if someone at the corporate site calls someone at the branch office,
and that person does not answer, the call is automatically routed back to the
corporate voice mail. After the voice message is left, the voice mail system calls
the Avaya Merlin Magix branch PBX and tells it which phone should be lit with the
message waiting light.

The Results

With MultiVOIP, GP Companies has experienced a noticeable increase in data network
speeds. "Our old voice system required a total of 448K in dedicated bandwidth (56K
per call multiplied by eight lines)," said Igo. "With MultiVOIP, we've been able
to reduce this to 136K (17K per call multiplied by eight lines), and that is only
used when all eight lines are running simultaneously."

GP Companies ultimately avoided adding another T1 line. With this saving alone,
MultiVOIP will pay for itself in less than a year.  "We are very happy with our
MultiVOIP solution," said Igo. "It has performed precisely as we had expected
providing us with enough bandwidth to meet our data networking needs and that was
our ultimate goal."

About GP Companies

Since 1986, GP Companies, located in Mendota Heights, MN, has worked closely with
its customers to develop dependable, high performance pumps and pump accessories
for high pressure cleaning, car wash, reverse osmosis/desalination, agricultural,
and industrial process applications. The company also distributes a line of
products for the floor cleaning industry.  Their mission is to be the best fluid
control device company world wide, providing their customers with superior and
innovative products, coupled with a level of service that exceeds customer
expectations.

About Multi-Tech

An ISO 9001:2000 certified global manufacturer of award-winning Internet, remote
access, and telephony products, Multi-Tech Systems provides end-to-end solutions
for small to medium-sized businesses. Multi-Tech's products are available through
a worldwide network of business partners (distributors, resellers, system
integrators, ISPs, and ISVs), or in embedded solutions from OEMs.
Privately held, Multi-Tech Systems has over 60 U.S. patents and numerous
international patents. The company's intellectual property portfolio includes
patents covering transmission of multiplexed voice, data and video packets used in
technologies such as Internet telephony, PC telephony, voice over IP or frame
relay, and DSVD modems. For additional information, contact Multi-Tech at
800/328-9717 or 763/785-3500, via fax at 763/785-9874 or browse the company's
World Wide Web home page at http://www.multitech.com/.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/