Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 802.16a WMAN-compliant product

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:36:46 -0400

Redline Communications of Ontario, Canada will show the first 802.16a
WMAN-compliant product at this month's Geneva ITU Telecom World Conference. The
solution, dubbed AN-100, operates in 3.5 GHz and offers a throughput of 70 Mbps
with a range of up to 30 km. The product will work for point-to-point and
point-to-multipoint deployments, and is currently in trials with major carriers.
The IEEE approved the amendment to the 802.16 standard in January 2003 in order to
address non-line-of-sight (NLOS) requirements in outdoor broadband wireless
applications. 802.16a will likely boost WMANs just as 802.11b pushed WLANs. The
standard operates in the licensed and unlicensed frequencies between 2 GHz and 11
GHz using OFDM, which is also used by the 802.11a and 802.11g standards. 802.16a
has not yet been certified by the WiMax Forum, the industry association backing
the standard. The group is not expected to begin testing products until early next
year.

=======================================================================

October 07, 2003 10:48 AM US Eastern Timezone
CORRECTION FROM SOURCE: Redline Communications Debuts its IEEE 802.16a Compliant
Broadband
Wireless System

ITU TELECOM WORLD 2003

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 7, 2003--

Company to showcase its AN-100 system at ITU Telecom World 2003

Redline Communications, an innovative provider of next-generation broadband fixed
wireless equipment, today announced the AN-100, a fully compliant IEEE 802.16a(i)
broadband wireless system. Redline will showcase the AN-100 at the upcoming ITU
Telecom World Conference in Geneva. The product provides a compelling alternative
to existing technologies such as wireline (including leased lines, cable and DSL)
and first generation microwave equipment.

The new IEEE 802.16a standard was approved in January of this year. Similar to
Wi-Fi's success with the indoor wireless LAN standard, the new 802.16a standard
(under the auspices of WiMAX) is expected to facilitate the same success for
outdoor broadband wireless applications in terms of promoting interoperability,
multi-vendor choices and cost effective solutions.

"I am gratified to see that industry is investing in the creation of IEEE 802.16
WirelessMAN(i) products, just as it invested in the development of the standard,"
said Dr. Roger B. Marks, Chair of the IEEE 802.16 Working Group. "The real
beneficiaries will be the users, who will find more value and see more innovation
based on the interoperable platform."
Redline's AN-100 system is a high-speed wireless system based on an advanced form
of orthogonal frequency division
multiplexing (OFDM), combined with several novel technologies, to support robust
operations in partial and complete
non-line-of-sight deployment conditions. As a fully IEEE 802.16a compliant
high-performance multi-services platform, the AN-100
is configurable for either point-to-multipoint or point-to-point deployments and
is ideally suited to both backhaul and high capacity access applications. The
AN-100 will be available at 3.5 GHz, in the first quarter of next year, supporting
ranges beyond 80 km and delivering high speed data and real-time applications (due
to its low latency) including voice and video with industry leading spectral
efficiency of 5 bits/second/Hertz (e.g. 70 Mbps in a 14 MHz channel).

"Poised to be the first to introduce the IEEE 802.16a compliant system to market,
the AN-100 speeds up broadband deployments and enables service providers to
increase system performance and reliability while reducing their equipment costs,"
said Andy Fuertes, Senior Analyst Visant Strategies. "The AN-100 expands Redline's
role and secures their position as a technology leader in the Broadband Fixed
Wireless market."

Redline has successfully deployed the AN-100 in live trials, and has already
received advanced orders.
"In a recent visit to Redline's facilities, I was very impressed to the see the
AN-100 in action," said Michael Anderson, Chairman of the Part-15.org. "Redline is
already an industry leader in OFDM backhaul products, and it now looks like they
will do the same in 802.16a products." Anderson went on to say, "Seeing Redline's
AN-100 in operation was exhilarating. I'm extremely pleased and confident that the
industry will have such a great product in their inventory."

The ITU Telecom World event is taking place October 12 to October 18 Geneva,
Switzerland. Redline's booth is in the Canadian Pavilion - Hall 7, booth number 4.

About Redline Communications

Redline Communications Inc. is a privately held Canadian company located in the
Greater Toronto area, focusing on product innovations in the broadband fixed
wireless industry. Redline's products deliver a cost-effective wireless solution
for backhaul and infrastructure, used by access providers, enterprises, wireless
ISPs and more. The company has signed up more than 80 partners in 26 countries.
For more information about Redline's products and distribution channels, visit our
web site at www.redlinecommunications.com or call (905) 479-8344.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031007005521&newsLang=en