Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hey, talkies, Fastchat has new walkies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:57:12 -0400

Hey, talkies, Fastchat has new walkies

Jason Straziuso
Associated Press
Oct. 4, 2003 12:00 AM

PHILADELPHIA - Walkie-talkies with a
range that reaches halfway around the
world? That's what a new program for
cellphones promises; for the most
part, it delivers.

Fastchat software promised to deliver
instant communication with my friend
in Paris from my desk in Philadelphia,
but I was a bit skeptical when I
pressed the talk button.

After a short delay, my Parisian buddy
was talking back to me, although the
flow of the conversation was slightly
slower and more scratchy than with an
ordinary walkie-talkie.

Nextel and Motorola pioneered the use of cellphones as walkie-talkies
using a special "push to talk" button on the handset. The other major
wireless carriers now plan to introduce the increasingly popular service
for subscribers but only with other subscribers to the same cellphone
company.

With Fastchat, subscribers to different cellular companies in this
country and abroad can do so. They don't even need a phone equipped
with a special button because the service uses the regular buttons.

The software, made by Fastmobile Inc. of Chicago, automatically
downloads to your phone through a wireless transmission after you
sign up.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/1004gear04.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/