Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Radio Interoperability/ Tactical Technologies- 2003 COUNTERDRUG RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT BLUEPRINT UPDATE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:59:32 -0400

From The White House-

Interoperability/ Tactical Technologies-

2003 COUNTERDRUG RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT BLUEPRINT UPDATE

Tactical Technologies

Tactical technology development efforts to support the law enforcement officer
performing daily operations include projects to improve knowledge management
through information sharing across networks, data mining, tracking and
surveillance, internet analysis, and communications interoperability capabilities.

The integration of real-time location and tracking systems with database records
of current and past criminal associations will give law enforcement new tools for
strategic and tactical planning and execution of drugrelated criminal
investigations. A scalable information tool, Crystal, is being developed in
conjunction with the Rockland County (NY) Narcotics Task Force to enable agencies
to organize and present criminal and case-related information with real-time
positional data from tracking and surveillance management systems. Users can
visually link suspected criminal activity under surveillance to a geographic /
historic positional background.

CTAC, in conjunction with DEA, also supports the development of a digital radio
system for use in an advanced body wire device. The digital radio features will
provide increased capabilities in terms of security (low probability of detection)
and intelligence gathering compared with earlier analog devices.
In addition, CTAC supports the development of low-cost handheld sensors to detect
cocaine methylbenzoate vapors.  These sensors are based on a combination of
sensitized metal ion luminescence and molecular imprinting. Molecularly imprinted
polymers are synthetic polymers designed to selectively bind to a certain
molecule. Optical fibers coated with ultraviolet LED’s then detect the binding of
the target molecule. Ten handheld units will be available for testing by the
spring of 2003.

Decoder technology is being developed to enable law enforcement agencies to
monitor mobile telephone communications across the various provider and vendor
technologies.  This technology should be available in early 2003.

A VHF tactical repeater technology is being developed with deployment planned for
spring 2003.
Wireless Communications

Interoperability

A statewide wireless communications interoperability architecture was designed for
Colorado in fiscal year 2001. This architecture facilitates communications across
the dissimilar and incompatible wireless networks of federal, state, and local
agencies within the state. Engineers from the U.S. Naval Space and Naval Warfare
Systems Center - San Diego (SPAWAR SSC-SD) evaluated two system configurations for
this architecture – one capable of interfacing up to 24 agencies for larger
operations and a second configuration designed for smaller operations involving
five or fewer agencies.

2003 COUNTERDRUG RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT BLUEPRINT UPDATE
The project had two phases:
??Phase I: Denver Metro. In the Denver metropolitan area, SSC-SD engineers
installed a fixed interoperable system that makes use of the existing radioantenna
area coverage of local area LEA participants. Portable interoperable systems were
also deployed for those drug task forces operating outside the range of the
existing towers.
Participating LEA resources were provided complete training on use of these
systems. This phase was completed and a major demonstration held during August
2001.

Phase II: Statewide Deployment. SSCSD

Engineers conducted surveys of radio spectrum coverage and an inventory of
existing infrastructure equipment for six selected locations throughout Colorado.
SSC-SD engineers then installed interoperable communications systems at a host
organization for each site and provided location-specific training to LEA
resources with responsibility for operating each system. CTAC worked with
participant LEAs to establish protocols and procedures for linking the deployed
systems to create a statewide communications interoperability capability.
Participant LEAs displayed this statewide capability to law enforcement officers
from across the country at a major demonstration held at Castle Rock, Colorado in
August 2002.  In fiscal year 2002, communications interoperability systems were
installed in six regions including Denver, Colorado Springs, Durango, Grand
Junction, Larimer County, and Pueblo. The installation of a seventh system has
begun in Steamboat Springs.

Full report-
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/policy/ctac03/ctac03.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/