Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CDPD End Date Documentation

From: "Timothy V. Peters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:26:20 -0700

Please pardon the cross-posting, but I can't remember where I read this
request.

Someone was looking for documentation that CDPD had one foot out the
door and the other on a banana peel.

From the July 2003 Mission Critical Communications (formerly known as
Radio Resource) magazine, Volume 18, No. 6, Page 72, quoted in its
entirety:

________________________________________________________
VERIZON TO DISCONTINUE CDPD SERVICE

Verizon Wireless announced it would cease operations of its CDPD network
at the end of 2005, moving its data users to its next-generation 1xRTT
network.  In October 2002, AT&T Wireless said it would discontinue its
CDPD service at the end of 2003.
________________________________________________________

I hope this is of some help.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:25:31 -0400

I think there is a great deal of mis-understanding here. Some people are under the
impression there is an FCC mandate to elimiante CDPD specifically . The mandate
was for "analog service compatibility requirement", however observing that the
mandate for analog services (“AMPS”) was beginning to cause inefficiencies for
some carriers, and that an indefinite retention of the analog requirement was not
warranted some carriers filed a LIMITED OPPOSITION TO PETITION FOR
RECONSIDERATION  under which carriers seek to modify the sunset date. (Re;
services, 17 FCC Rcd 18401 -"2002 “Part 22 Order”). The Commission adopted a
sunset date of five years from the effective date of the Part 22 Order (i.e. five
years after sixty days after the date of publication in the Federal Register) as
the end of the analog compatibility requirement. Publication occurred on December
17, 2002, Federal Register Volume 67, No. 242. Therefore the date of sunset is
February 15, 2008. In its Part 22 Order the Commission decided to end the analog
service compatibility requirement contained in Section 22.901 of its Rules. 47
C.F.R. §22.901.
=================================================================================

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

                    CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
                         COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 22--PUBLIC MOBILE SERVICES--Table of Contents

               Subpart H--Cellular Radiotelephone Service

Sec. 22.901  Cellular service requirements and limitations.

    Cellular system licensees must provide cellular mobile
radiotelephone service upon request to subscribers in good standing,
including roamers, as provided in Sec. 20.12 of this chapter. A cellular
system licensee may refuse or terminate service, however, subject to any
applicable state or local requirements for timely notification, to any
subscriber who operates a cellular telephone in an airborne aircraft in
violation of Sec. 22.925 or otherwise fails to cooperate with the
licensee in exercising operational control over mobile stations pursuant
to Sec. 22.927.
    (a) Service area information. Licensees must inform prospective
subscribers of the area in which reliable service can be expected.
    (b) Lack of capacity. If a licensee refuses a request for cellular
service because of a lack of system capacity, it must report that fact
to the FCC in writing, explaining how it plans to increase capacity.
    (c) Dispatch service. Cellular systems may provide dispatch service.
    (d) Alternative technologies and co-primary services. Licensees of
cellular systems may use alternative cellular technologies and/or
provide fixed services on a co-primary basis with their mobile
offerings, including personal communications services (as defined in
part 24 of this chapter) on the spectrum within their assigned channel
block. Cellular carriers that provide mobile services must make such
service available to subscribers whose mobile equipment conforms to the cellular
system
compatibility specification (see Sec. 22.933).

    (1) Licensees must perform or obtain an engineering analysis to
ensure that interference to the service of other cellular systems will
not result from the implementation of co-primary fixed services or
alternative cellular technologies.

    (2) Alternative technology and co-primary fixed services are exempt
from requirements for incidental communications services of Sec. 22.323,
the channeling requirements of Sec. 22.905, the modulation requirements
of Sec. 22.915, the wave polarization requirements of Sec. 22.367, the
compatibility specification in Sec. 22.933 and the emission limitations
of Secs. 22.357 and 22.917, except for emission limitations that apply
to emissions outside the assigned channel block.

[59 FR 59507, Nov. 17, 1994; 59 FR 64856, Dec. 16, 1994, as amended at
60 FR 15495, Mar. 24, 1995; 61 FR 38403, July 24, 1996; 61 FR 45356,
Aug. 29, 1996; 65 FR 49202, Aug. 11, 2000]

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: "Timothy V. Peters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:44:41 -0700

I don't think the impending disappearance of CDPD has anything to do with
ANY specific FCC mandate.  I think it has to do with the fact that
the service is not terribly commercially successful, and the carriers would
just like to do something more profitable with the spectrum.  The
citation I provided from the magazine doesn't say the FCC made 'em do it,
it just says that they intend to eliminate the service, and shows the dates.
Regardless of what some people might wanna think, CDPD is a service whose
days are numbered, and if you use AT&T, the number's getting pretty
small.

As far as misimpressions about FCC mandates, this wouldn't be the first.
There's a lot of otherwise reasonably smart public safety people who think
they have to rip out their perfectly functioning 150 or 450 MHz system
and replace it with a big bucks 700 or 800 MHz trunked thing 'cuz the FCC
sez so, right?

[email-masked] wrote:

I think there is a great deal of mis-understanding
here. Some people are under the impression there is an FCC mandate to elimiante
CDPD specifically . The mandate was for "analog service compatibility requirement",
however observing that the mandate for analog services (“AMPS”) was beginning
to cause inefficiencies for some carriers, and that an indefinite retention
of the analog requirement was not warranted some carriers filed a LIMITED
OPPOSITION TO PETITION FOR RECONSIDERATION  under which
carriers seek to modify the sunset date. (Re; services, 17 FCC Rcd 18401
-"2002 “Part 22 Order”). The Commission adopted a sunset date of five years
from the effective date of the Part 22 Order (i.e. five years after sixty
days after the date of publication in the Federal Register) as the end
of the analog compatibility requirement. Publication occurred on December
17, 2002, Federal Register Volume 67, No. 242. Therefore the date of sunset
is February 15, 2008. In its Part 22 Order the Commission decided to end
the analog service compatibility requirement contained in Section 22.901
of its Rules. 47 C.F.R. §22.901.

<Rules deleted for brevity>

Please pardon the cross-posting, but I can't remember
where I read this

request.

entirety:

network.  In October 2002, AT&T Wireless said it would discontinue
its

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:01:19 -0400

I agree  CDPD is on its way out. GPRS is now the replacemet air interface for some
Cellular/ PCS carriers. I was just highlighting where the confusion came from.
When people heard about the sunset of "analog service compatibility requirement"
they thought about CDPD.

As AWS and others have pointed out they were concerned about "inefficiencies" and
that is the driving factor. I have a half dozen articles also that speak in no
uncertain terms that CDPD is being phased out by CMRS.

You are right I have heard with my own ears from P/S administrators that they MUST
swicth from VHF to  800mhz.

"Timothy V. Peters" wrote:

> I don't think the impending disappearance of CDPD has anything to do with ANY
> specific FCC mandate.  I think it has to do with the fact that the service is
> not terribly commercially successful, and the carriers would just like to do
> something more profitable with the spectrum.  The citation I provided from the
> magazine doesn't say the FCC made 'em do it, it just says that they intend to
> eliminate the service, and shows the dates.  Regardless of what some people
> might wanna think, CDPD is a service whose days are numbered, and if you use
> AT&T, the number's getting pretty small.
>
> There's a lot of otherwise reasonably smart public safety people who think they
> have to rip out their perfectly functioning 150 or 450 MHz system and replace it
> with a big bucks 700 or 800 MHz trunked thing 'cuz the FCC sez so, right?
>
>> I think there is a great deal of mis-understanding here. Some people are under
>> the impression there is an FCC mandate to elimiante CDPD specifically . The
>> mandate was for "analog service compatibility requirement", however observing
>> that the mandate for analog services (“AMPS”) was beginning to cause
>> inefficiencies for some carriers, and that an indefinite retention of the
>> analog requirement was not warranted some carriers filed a LIMITED OPPOSITION
>> TO PETITION FOR RECONSIDERATION  under which carriers seek to modify the
>> sunset date. (Re; services, 17 FCC Rcd 18401 -"2002 “Part 22 Order”). The
>> Commission adopted a sunset date of five years from the effective date of the
>> Part 22 Order (i.e. five years after sixty days after the date of publication
>> in the Federal Register) as the end of the analog compatibility requirement.
>> Publication occurred on December 17, 2002, Federal Register Volume 67, No.
>> 242. Therefore the date of sunset is February 15, 2008. In its Part 22 Order
>> the Commission decided to end the analog service compatibility requirement
>> contained in Section 22.901 of its Rules. 47 C.F.R. §22.901.
>>