Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia launches PTT over cellular network products

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:06:29 -0500

Press Release

Nokia launches push-to-talk over cellular network products

October 28, 2003

At its annual customer Mobile Internet Conference in Nice, France, Nokia
has
launched two new products that enable GSM/GPRS operators to offer
push-to-talk, the "walkie-talkie" type of new voice service popular with
many user groups around the world.  The Nokia push-to-talk over cellular
(PoC) solution allows operators to use their existing GSM/GPRS networks
to
provide this attractive form of instant voice service over GSM, the
world's
most widely used cellular system.

The Nokia Push to Talk Call Processor handles PoC traffic, while the
Nokia
Push to Talk Register handles PoC subscriber data.  The two PoC products
can
be connected to existing multi-vendor GPRS networks. Commercial
deliveries
will start in the first quarter 2004.

As part of Nokia's PoC solution, the Nokia Push to Talk Register and
Nokia
Push to Talk Call Processor will support user features such as
one-to-one
and group push-to-talk, the ability to listen to multiple groups at same
time (scanning), dynamic group creation by users, and fleet management
facilities for corporate users, among others.

The products have been undergoing operator trials since June 2003, and
more
than 20 trials are currently underway in GSM-networks in Europe, Asia,
North
America and Latin America.  The Nokia PoC offering is
access-independent,
and deployments over other radio access technologies are to be expected.
The products are fully scalable and capable of supporting tens of
millions
of users in a single network.

The Nokia PoC solution uses the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) to
establish the IP session used for PoC communication.  SIP-enabled phones
for
push-to-talk will be available from Nokia during the first half of 2004.
The Nokia Push to Talk Call Processor and Register are part of Nokia's
IP
Multimedia Core offering.

"We have recognized push-to-talk as a hugely important service in many
markets, and we are working to give GPRS operators the means to break
into
this profitable business," says Petri Pöyhönen, Vice President & General
Manager, Nokia Networks.  "The Nokia PoC solution allows operators to
make
inroads into the push-to-talk market by cost-efficiently using their
existing GSM/GPRS networks.  Push-to-talk over cellular is a central
lead
service in Nokia's IP multimedia offering, giving our operator customers
an
immediate revenue opportunity on the road towards a complete IP
multimedia
service offering."

Push-to-talk service is a two-way form of communications that allows
users
to engage in immediate communication with one or more receivers, similar
to
walkie-talkie service -- simply by pushing a button on their handsets.
Users receiving the transmission hear the sender's voice automatically
without having to answer the call.  Fleet management communication
between
taxi drivers and their dispatcher is just one concrete example of such a
business use for push-to-talk.  Consumers benefit from push-to-talk
service
in coordinating recreational and social activities (for example,
families or
friends separated in a large ski resort or amusement park) representing
a
huge market potential for the services.  Previous implementations of
push-to-talk service in cellular networks have been based on proprietary
technology with limited interoperability.  By bringing this
functionality to
networks based on GSM, the world's most successful wireless technology
with
over 800 million users in more than 200 countries, Nokia is helping to
open
the market and fuel push-to-talk services with a truly global reach.

 http://press.nokia.com/PR/200310/922385_5.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/