Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Industry blasts Bush efforts to promote FCC’s spectrum report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:06:04 -0400

Industry blasts Bush efforts to promote FCC’s spectrum report

by Jeffrey Silva
Oct. 02, 2003

WASHINGTON

The wireless industry and others have blasted Bush administration efforts to
globally promote concepts in a November 2002 report by the Federal Communications
Commission’s Spectrum Policy Task Force, a criticism that comes as a U.S.
delegation prepares to travel to Geneva later this month for an International
Telecommunication Union meeting on spectrum management methodologies.

“The policies recommended in the SPTF report have not been adopted by the FCC or
by the NTIA (National Telecommunications and Information Administration) and are
not formal policy,” stated the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association,
the Telecommunications Industry Association and the Satellite Industry Association
in a four-page letter to Bush administration officials.

“Unfortunately,” the trade groups said, “the manner in which this material is
presented could, in a worst case, lead to this material becoming part of the [ITU
Radiocommunication] director’s report to the WRC (World Radiocommunication
Conference),” said the three groups. 

Edmond Thomas, chief of the FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology, said the
spectrum task force report’s recommendations are regarded by Chairman Michael
Powell as the roadmap for wireless policy, and they form the foundation for
various rulemakings.

“OET is not pushing this,” said Thomas.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15324

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/