Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cars and Numbers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:03:11 -0400

Intelligent Transportation Systems

Cars and Numbers

As racing attracts thousands, ITS handles the demand on the street
Kansas City is home to the relatively new, prestigious Kansas Speedway, where tens
of thousands of fans converge to watch racing events. The use of a unified command
post bringing all stakeholders into one central location and the deployed ITS
equipment ensured that everyone involved knew what was happening on the roadways
surrounding the speedway and what cooperative actions were needed.

- Lisa R. Dumke

Kansas City is home to the relatively new, prestigious Kansas Speedway, where tens
of thousands of fans converge to watch racing events, including the NASCAR Winston
Cup race each fall. The 75,000-seat facility, 1.5-mile tri-oval track is just off
the busy I-70 and I-435 on the west side of Kansas City. Managing the
corresponding congestion efficiently and safely has become one of the Kansas
Highway Patrol (KHP) and the Kansas Department of Transportation's (KDOT) top
priorities.

Knowing the history of traffic management nightmares at other racetracks in their
inaugural years, the KHP and KDOT made it a goal to have the safest and most
efficient traffic management of any racetrack in the country. To that end, both
agencies made a firm commitment of personnel, equipment and financial resources to
ensure success.

With admirable foresight, the KHP, with assistance from KDOT, began planning
traffic control for speedway events several years ago, focusing on primary routes,
alternative routes, technology and signing. During this planning phase, the KHP
ensured they included all stakeholders, such as the Missouri State Patrol, KDOT,
Kansas Speedway and other local police departments. Based on the plan
requirements, the KHP and KDOT then conducted a scanning tour of available
technologies and were impressed by a self-contained portable traffic management
system (ADDCO's Smart Zone), which provides real-time information on traffic
conditions from sensors and surveillance cameras to operators, allowing them to
feed that information back to motorists on dynamic message signs on the same
platform.

For each of the three major events of the 2001 racing season, three of the
self-contained portable traffic management systems were utilized, along with 12
portable changeable message signs, four highway advisory radio (HAR) transmitters
and large quantities of standard traffic control items such as cones, barrels and
signs. All of the equipment was procured through an innovative and efficient
contracting relationship between KDOT, United Rentals Inc. and ADDCO: All of the
equipment was leased and operational staff was provided to the KHP and KDOT for
race weekends. In addition to the contracted staff, almost 100 personnel from the
KHP and KDOT performed traffic management activities during each race.

The right equipment
The Smart Zone integrates dynamic message signs, detection devices and
surveillance cameras on one fully portable, solar-powered platform. It
communicates using 2.4-GHz spread-spectrum radio, allowing full-motion video. From
live traffic images and complementary detection data, operators then send updated
traffic information to motorists in real-time.

The portable changeable message signs (PCMS) used on this project were ADDCO
DH1000 All LED Solar-powered signs. These signs feature a Solar Tilt and Rotate
(STAR) System, which allows the solar panels to be aimed independently of the sign
face. The STAR system allows the PCMS to capture solar energy more efficiently.

A total of four HAR units were used for the 2001 season to convey lengthy route
information to motorists two to three miles before the speedway exits. Two of the
HAR transmitters were permanent and two were portable.

One of the permanent transmitters belongs to the Missouri DOT to cover the eastern
approach to the speedway, and the other is operated by the Kansas Turnpike
Authority to cover the western approach. The two portable HAR units utilized are
the property of KDOT and manufactured by Highway Information Systems Inc. These
units have an effective range of two to five miles. The portable HAR units are
capable of being programmed and messages recorded remotely through the use of a
cellular modem. The permanent units were activated and messages recorded by
calling the operating agency and requesting that a message be broadcast.

The right location
The equipment was stationed strategically on the main routes leading to the
speedway and at critical entrance points. Three PCMS were placed on each leg of
the interstate system leading to the track. The signs were located at key decision
points for visitors to the speedway as well as non-race traffic so alternative
routes could be taken to avoid speedway traffic. All of the signs were within a
six-mile radius of the track. The Smart Zones were located at the three most
critical points for traffic approaching and entering the speedway--the primary
track entrance off  I-70, the north track entrance off I-435 and at the junction
of I-70 and I-435. The HAR units were located approximately six miles away from
the track on each leg of I-70 and I-435 leading to the facility.

A unified command post set up in a KDOT office two miles from the Kansas Speedway
controlled all of the equipment and personnel. The CCTV, through a spread-spectrum
transmission, was made available for viewing in real-time by all of the agencies
in the command post and proved an invaluable tool for moving traffic into and out
of the Kansas Speedway. Operators changed messages on the signs and HAR to inform
motorists of the current best routes through cellular modems.

The right results
There were three major race events scheduled for the 2001 racing season.

On June 6, the ARCA race attracted 45,000 fans. Although the KHP was aware that a
full-scale effort was not going to be necessary to manage the traffic for this
event, this event was used as a "dress rehearsal" for the larger events to come.
All of the ITS-related equipment was deployed and tested along with traffic
control equipment and personnel.

The second event of the season was a combination of a NASCAR Truck Series event on
Saturday and an Indy Racing League event on Sunday in early July. Both of these
races were sold out with 75,000 fans in attendance each day. All equipment and
personnel were deployed with modifications to the original traffic management plan
made based upon experience from the first race weekend in June.

The ultimate test of the system came on Sept. 29-30, 2001, when the NASCAR Busch
Series and Winston Cup Races attracted more than 100,000 fans each day. In
addition to the passenger vehicle traffic, recreational vehicles, park-and-ride
buses, concession trailers and race team trucks had to be accommodated.

During the weekend of Sept. 29-30, KDOT deployed traffic counting equipment to
monitor the time of day, location and volume of traffic on the various routes
leading to the speedway. The heaviest volumes occurred between 7:30 a.m. and 10:45
a.m. on the routes leading into the facility. Almost all of the race traffic had
entered the facility by 11:15 a.m., approximately one hour before the race start.

During the first race weekend in June 2001 with approximately 45,000 fans, no
significant delays were reported entering the facility due to traffic congestion.
Exiting the facility, some delay was encountered. At one location near the I-70
and Kansas Highway 7 interchange, traffic was backed up approximately two miles
with vehicles trying to access I-70. This was resolved through cooperation with
the local police department closing the interstate access and diverting traffic
south on K-32 highway. The closing of access to I-70 from this location was made
permanent for the remaining races.

During the second event of the season in July, no significant delays were reported
due to ingress and egress of vehicles. The video cameras were used effectively to
monitor backups and divert traffic on a real-time basis by sending messages to the
portable VMS informing drivers of alternative routes and by radioing troopers in
the field informing them when and where to divert traffic.

The most effective strategy used was the periodic opening and closing of the
freeway-to-freeway ramps on the southeast side of the speedway at the I-435 and
I-70 junction. As the ramp traffic backed up onto the mainline, the ramps were
closed and the mainline freeway traffic was diverted to the next exit. As queues
on the ramps diminished, traffic was once again allowed to use the ramps. This
strategy, which was used several times during the ingress of traffic, proved to be
extremely effective in ensuring even flow into all of the speedway entrances.

Traffic leaving the facility caused no significant delays except for two accidents
that took place on I-435 and on I-70 soon after the race was over. The most
serious of these was a rollover accident that required the closing of multiple
lanes. Traffic was cleared from the speedway within 21/2 hours.

At the third event of the season, the NASCAR weekend, traffic was expected to be
at its highest levels and suffer significant delays. The race started at 12 p.m.
Traffic began entering the facility at 6 a.m. and reached its peak at 8 a.m. The
longest queues observed were on I-70 westbound with vehicles backed up in the
right lane prior to the track entrance for approximately 11/2 miles. This traffic
was still moving relatively well at an estimated 15 to 20 mph, and the time
required to enter the speedway parking area from the back of the queue was
estimated to be 20 minutes. With more than an hour before the race started, all
roadways leading into the Kansas Speedway were at free-flow conditions, and no one
was late due to traffic delays.

After the race let out, which is considered the worst period for traffic
congestion at race facilities, the roadways leading away from the track were at
free-flow condition in a record 11/2 hours as opposed to the normal three- to
four-hour NASCAR event clearing time.

The traffic entering and exiting the Kansas Speedway during the 2001 racing season
experienced no significant delays and only two reported accidents.

This project was successful due to the cooperation and commitment shown by all of
the partners involved. Communications and information sharing is always the
critical challenge to an operation of this magnitude. The use of a unified command
post bringing all stakeholders into one central location and the deployed ITS
equipment ensured that everyone involved knew what was happening on the roadways
surrounding the speedway and what cooperative actions were needed. Motorists
benefited by a safe, relatively quick entry and exit into and out of the speedway.

KDOT has shared its approach with other speedways and agencies across the U.S.
Their goal continues to be safe, efficient travel for motorists, a universally
appealing goal leaving risky driving to the racers, not the fans.

Source: TM+E   October 2003   Vol: 8 Num: 4
 http://www.tmemag.com/tme/index.cfm?powergrid=rfah=|cfap=&CFID=3201868&CFTOKEN=90566415&jsessionid=80301442421066388868382&fuseaction=showArticle&appDirectory=tme&articleID=4531

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/