Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Toshiba shows 100 Mbps MIMO Wi-Fi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:16:17 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "jon baer" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Toshiba shows 100 Mbps MIMO Wi-Fi

Toshiba shows 100 Mbps MIMO Wi-Fi
Toshiba used the setting of the Geneva ITU Telecom World 2003 conference to
demonstrate what it described as a "low complexity" WLAN capable of
achieving data transfer rates of up to 100 Mbps -- nearly double that of the
802.11g and 802.11a standards. Toshiba's solution relies on MIMO (multiple
input, multiple output), which improves WLAN performance by using multiple
channels simultaneously through multiple antennae. Spatial multiplexing
schemes then reconstruct the data, while improved signal processing boosts
the network's range. Performance quality increases in proportion to the
number of antennae built into the system. MIMO uses OFDM, as does 802.11g.
Toshiba says it has extended MIMO in two ways: by improving the bandwidth it
offers over single-antenna systems, and by simplifying the underlying
hardware. The system uses a technique called pseudo-exhaustive state space
searching to reduce the complexity of the work a WLAN adaptor must do to
decode incoming radio signals. Toshiba is not the first to use MIMO
technology: U.S. chip-maker Airgo is already sampling chipsets which use a
dual-antenna MIMO rig to achieve rates of up to 108 Mbps, and Intel said it
was committed to include MIMO into its future WLAN products and push for the
inclusion of MIMO in 802.11n.

http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/rupertgoodwins/0,39020691,39117125,00.htm

http://www.theregister.com/content/69/33333.html

- jon

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/