Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Number Portability

From: "po_ed2000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:40:09 -0000

I just received this from Nextel-- thought you would be interested.

" Wireless Local Number Portability, an initiative mandated by the 
FCC, is on schedule for implementation November 24, 2003.   What is 
WLNP?:    
   Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP) refers to the ability of 
wireless and wireline customers to change service providers without 
having to change their current cellular telephone number.   You may 
have heard it referred to as Wireless Number Portability.
  Nextel is offering a new service, Number Guard, free of charge to 
help you protect your number(s) from being taken to another carrier 
without your permission.  Adding Number Guard to the number(s) on 
your account will give you the peace of mind that no unauthorized 
changes are being made without your permission.  
	If you choose to add Number Guard to each of  the phone 
numbers on your account, this service will automatically be applied 
to new phone numbers you add to your account at a later date.
	Once you elect to add Number Guard to the phone number(s) on 
your account, a request from another carrier to take your phone number
(s) will not be executed until you directly contact Nextel and 
confirm that you want to take your phone number(s) to another carrier.
	For anyone not currently on Nextel's system that has been 
awaiting Number Portability, we can check their current number to see 
if it is eligible for portability now.  This will help minimize the 
turnaround time come November 24th. 
 Here is what you should do to add Number GuardSM to your account:
 
	1.  Call 1-866-967-9567 to add Number GuardSM to any or all 
of the phone numbers on your Nextel Account.
  	2.  Once you add Number GuardSM to all or some of the phone 
numbers on your account, requests by other carriers to take your 
phone number(s) will be rejected until you remove this service from 
your Nextel account.
 	3.  You can contact Nextel at any time, to remove this 
service from any or all of the phones numbers on your account.
 
 Your present Nextel sales associate is NOT authorized to add or 
remove Number GuardSM on your behalf.  The call must come from the 
authorized contact on your Nextel account.
 
 Please see the below attachments for more information.  If further 
assistance is needed please contact me and I will assist if possible
 
  <<Number Guard - It's your number protect it.pdf>> > >  <<Number 
Guard - Sept 2003 Bill Insert.pdf>> > >  <<Number Guard - Sept 2003 
Newletter.pdf>> 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:05:15 -0400

Thanks for sharing if anyone else has any such messages from our friends at Nextel
please pass them on.
Looks like users will be faced with more confusing acronyms and charges.
May I should start a business deciphering wireless phone bills.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:03:22 -0700

Yeah, like you can slam Nextel handsets like wireline carriers are
slammed.

This does leads to a great marketing scheme:

Send a instant message to Nextel users saying they are now eligibke for
a FREE, new handset.  Just call 800 - nnn-nnnn to claim your new phone.
(note the recipient pays the 'postage')

Of course they aren't calling Nextel, it's another anonymous 'customer
service center'.

To get the FREE phone tyeh caller just agrees to a one year service
agreement and $1.00 handling fee. The fee is just a way to get the
credit card info. Naturally the service contract is on another carrier.

And that's the way business gets done.

==========================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:16:36 -0400

Jack,

Did you know Nextel reduced their re-banding offer to $700M  from $850M?

To quote you ......."And that's the way business gets done."

---

From: "Neil Horden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:19:01 -0000

My guess is that you will be able to 'slam' any cellphone account
unless that entire industry takes action.
The Long Distance industry got a black eye over slamming.
It is good to see Nextel try to take a proactive stance.
Has anyone heard from any other carrier offereing Slam protection?
AT&T (the service I am on) has not anounced anything yet. 
Of coure the down side is any protection that the indstry puts into 
the system will slow down the transfer process, and tick off those 
who are honestly trying to transfer their number.
One step forward, two steps back.

--- In [email-masked], Jack Daniel <JackDaniel@R...> wrote:
> Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> > > awaiting Number Portability, we can check their current number 
to
> > see
> > Subscribe to Nextel-1: 
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1
> > Subscribe to Nextel2: 
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:28:43 -0400

So True-

Now that some have compiled a Public Cellular 411 / directory some pepole are
going to catch H*** once it is released. Carriers want to charge $2-$5 a month to
NOT be listed.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:34:17 -0400

So do you think they pulled the $150M?

I'm sure Larry or Foolsner are on the phone right now if it is a mistake.
Hi Guys!- Guys can you clarify BB's statement while you are at it. I understand
one trade mag plans to quote him.

Jack Daniel wrote:

> Actually I think $700 million has always been Nextel's upper limit on
> PUBLIC SAFETY rebanding support.
>
> They added $150 millon for private users only to calm down some private
> users that might be rebanded or tossed out of the band.
>
> The $850 million total for both usser grouos has been tossed around for
> several months and a lot of public safeyty people think the whole whole
> amount may be available to them.
>
> It would be nice to see Nextel correct this incorrect perception when it
> comes up in high visibility discussions and news releases.
>
> Jack Daniel
> ===========================================
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:50:01 -0700

> One step forward, two steps back.

Exactly. The companies taking the most pro-active stance are those that
have the most to loose.

Reports I read in a local newspaper are the winners in WNP will be Verizon
and (I believe) AT&T.

The big loosers will be T-Mobile and Sprint. Nextel will be in the middle,
IMHO.