Subject: [NEXTEL-1] At the Second Meeting of the FCC’s Wireless E911 Coordination Initiative

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:38:27 -0500

Remarks of
Chairman Michael K. Powell
Federal Communications Commission
At the Second Meeting of the FCC’s Wireless E911 Coordination Initiative
October 29, 2003
(as prepared for delivery)

Welcome

I am pleased to be here today to welcome all of you to the second meeting of the
Commission’s Wireless E911 Coordination Initiative. This meeting celebrates a milestone in

E911 cooperation and a significant achievement: As a result of the joint initiative of the
FCC and
the National Governors’ Association, and the hard work of our respective staffs, we are
proud to
announce that every state, tribal organization, and United States’ territory has an E911
representative, designated by the Governor or leader of the tribal organization or
territory, as the
focal point for E911 deployment. Today, for the first time, the Commission is convening
these
state E911 designees. By joining hands in cooperation, we take steps forward towards
achievement.

The entire Commission is involved in the development and deployment of some aspect of
E911 wireless services. Leadership, of course, begins with my fellow Commissioners, all of

whom are deeply concerned about E911 deployment. I would like to thank Commissioners
Abernathy, Adelstein, and Martin who will be serving as moderators over the next two days,
and
Commission Copps, who also will be participating in other Coordination Initiative events.
I also would like to welcome NGA’s Executive Director, Ray Scheppach, who is joining
me here today. I want to thank him for his leadership at the State level in helping to
bring the

Governors’ designees here today. We really appreciate that.

Speaking of national leadership, I am honored to have here with me today Congressman
Gene Green, one of the principal co-sponsors of the pending E911 legislation and a
long-time
supporter of E911 roll-out. We will be joined shortly by Congressman Upton, the Chairman
of
the Telecommunications Subcommittee in the House, who will provide us with an update on
the
status of this important legislation. I thank both of them for taking the time away from
their busy
schedules to be with us. These men exemplify the strong leadership that the Congress is
providing on E911 issues, including coordination and funding, that are essential to
successful
deployment.

I would also like to thank the leaders of the E911 Caucus: Senators Burns and Clinton,
and Representatives Shimkus and Eshoo for their efforts. Their vision and vigorous voice
on the
Hill have led to current legislation. The Senate and House bills provide matching federal
grant
assistance for special projects to state governments, tribal organizations, local
governments, and
PSAPs, as well as accountability to citizens for proper use of funds collected in the name
of E911
deployment. The Caucus Members are scheduled to meet with state and tribal designees at
tomorrow’s session.

I would like to recognize the efforts of the other Federal agencies that have sent
representatives today, the Department of Homeland Security, the National
Telecommunications
and Information Administration in the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Department of
Transportation, and the Rural Utilities Service of the Department of Agriculture. All have
key
roles in the public safety arena of which E911 is a part. I would like to welcome Michael
Gallagher, the Acting Administrator of NTIA. I would also like to recognize Bob Johns from
the
U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Drew Dawson from the U.S. Department of
Transportation, and Ed Cameron from the Rural Utilities Service at the U.S. Department of
Agriculture.

And then there are my friends at NENA, APCO, and ESIF whose leadership in the public
safety community has been so instrumental in fostering cooperation and achieving
successful
deployment in many regions of the country.

I also see state E911 coordinators, whose voices have been heard advocating E911
deployment.

I also thank the LECs who play a pivotal role in deployment and the State PUC
representatives who have important regulatory roles to play.

And we must note the efforts of other stakeholders including the wireless carriers and
their associations, many of whom are represented today. We also appreciate location
technology
firms and other vendors who will discuss current deployment and emerging wireless
technology
issues.

The Commission appreciates the presence of all here today.

Our Common Goal

All of the stakeholders who have come here today are an essential connection in the
network needed to achieve full E911 deployment. We all share an extraordinary number of
common goals that provide a solid foundation for the work of the second meeting of the
Wireless
E911 Coordination Initiative.

• We all are committed to bringing the benefits of E911 technology to as many Americans
as possible as quickly as is practicable;

• We all recognize that such an effort requires extensive coordination and cooperation
among all of the parties – government, PSAPs, Carriers, ILECs, and the public;

• We all believe that resources for E911 should be deployed at all levels in such a way
that
every dollar spent is spent to save lives;

• We all believe that consumers need to know and understand what is possible from E911
and what to expect from their wireless phones; and

• We all believe that parties should not obstruct E911 deployment based on unnecessary
delay or procedural gamesmanship at the state or federal level.
The E911Coordination Initiative is just that: it is designed to initiate coordination
between and
among all the parties, so that our vision for full deployment may take root and grow.

The Role of E911 in the Commission’s Strategic Plan

Homeland Security is one of the pillars of my strategic plan for the Commission. This
Coordination Initiative is one example of how all parts of the Commission are working
together
on E911 deployment and its integration into the nation’s Homeland Security efforts. E911
wireless services are a central building block of the nation’s telecommunications
infrastructure,
which we are working with other agencies to strengthen and secure. In times of national
emergency, E911 wireless services are increasingly the channel through which the citizen’s
call
for help reaches the first link in the nation’s Homeland Security chain – the public
safety
answering point. From there, not only is the appropriate help deployed to the civilian in
need of
emergency assistance, but the alert describing the nature of the national security threat
is
channeled to the appropriate public safety, public health, telemedicine and other
emergency and
defense personnel.

This is a complex task, and one that requires thoughtful planning of spectrum use; policy
initiatives to develop and protect our nation’s telecommunications infrastructure;
vigilance and
innovative thinking about network security, reliability, and interoperability, and
cooperative
efforts across and among the many extraordinary array of agencies, as well as private and
public
safety stakeholders.

The Role of the Coordination Initiative in Achieving Full E911 Deployment
In 1994, the Commission first began work on bringing the same level of E911 wireless
services to the nation as is provided by wireline services. It was an ambitious goal,
particularly in
the absence of fully developed location technologies. Today, those technologies exist, and
we
face other challenges.

To understand fully what the new challenges were, the Commission asked Dale Hatfield
– a former Chief of our Office of Engineering and Technology – to identify the issues and
challenges associated with E911. Among the key roadblocks to full achievement identified
in the
Hatfield Report was the lack of coordination among all the stakeholders. In response to
that
insight, the Commission launched its this Initiative last April. At that meeting, I called
for a new
“Era of Cooperation” on E911. And later at the APCO International annual meeting, I issued
a
new challenge, calling on all the E911 stakeholders to build more than cooperation, but a
“New
Era of Accomplishment.” This Era of Accomplishment will be the springboard for E911 -- a
future in which we will indeed create the seamless, ubiquitous, reliable wireless
telecommunications networks and enhanced wireless 911 service that Congress envisioned in
the
E911 Act of 1999.

What Have We Accomplished Since the Last Coordination Initiative?
When I spoke to many of you at our first Coordination Initiative in April, I outlined the
significant progress we had made. At that time, 53% of the approximately 6,000 PSAPs were
receiving Phase I data. Today, approximately 60% of PSAPs across the country can locate a
caller by cell site.

With regard to Phase II, 20% of PSAPs are now receiving location information from at
least one carrier, a jump from the 5% deployment that existed just 7 months ago. At that
time,
Phase II had been implemented by at least one wireless carrier in 125 markets, such that
precise
location information was available to more than 300 PSAPs. I am pleased to report that
Phase II
deployment has jumped 300%. In just two quarters, we added an additional 355 markets
including 900 more PSAPs. There are now more than 1,200 PSAPs across the country that are
receiving Phase II data from at least one carrier. According to NENA’s analysis, four
states,
Rhode Island, Vermont, Connecticut, and Delaware, report they have implemented Phase II in

100% of their PSAPs. Substantial progress is being reported in other states as well. What
that
means is that in these areas, the PSAP can pinpoint the call for help to within
approximately 50 to
300 meters, a safety improvement that could save your life or the life of a loved one.

AT&T Wireless alone added Phase II at 3,266 cell sites, a 280% increase. At my last
report, every national carrier using a handset-based solution had at least one
location-capable
handset, but now Sprint and Verizon are offering customers a choice among at least 10
models
with built in A-GPS capability. Sprint alone has sold more than 11.6 million A-GPS
handsets
overall and fully half of those, 5.8 million, were sold within the last two quarters.
Sprint now
reports that 100 per cent of their new handsets are GPS capable.

These statistics represent good news for the safety of all Americans, and we should see
more progress in the next set of reports that will be released in November. But there is a
real risk
that this progress could stall. Nineteen states and the District of Columbia have not
deployed
Phase II to a single PSAP. And in 15 other states, the deployment rate is below 10%.
This is why we must all redouble our efforts so that every mobile phone user can be
quickly and accurately located in every region of our nation.

Since the last Coordination Initiative, the Commission also has taken additional steps to
increase knowledge about what wireless E911 can and cannot do today and to further the
FCC’s
role as an information clearinghouse. You will hear about the efforts of our Consumer and
Governmental Affairs Bureau to provide consumers with an advisory on wireless deployment
issues to help consumers make informed choices about their mobile phone services. In
addition,
the Commission established a technical group on 911 network architecture and technical
standards, issues that Dale Hatfield recognized as potentially problematic for E911. This
group
will be created as a technical subcommittee of the Commission’s Network Reliability and
Interoperability Council (NRIC).

We also have taken a number of steps to address the unique deployment issues facing
rural communities. The Commission has undertaken a number of rural initiatives, including
partnering with RUS, investigating whether spectrum policies have effectively served rural

jurisdictions. We also are discussing how further efforts can target deployment issues in
rural
America, through innovative means such as creative use of secondary markets, multiple
uses, and
deployment of broadband services.

In addition, the Commission has a proceeding underway to determine how best to revise
the scope of our enhanced 911 rules to clarify which technologies and services will be
required to
be capable of transmitting 911 information to PSAPs – specifically the obligation of
mobile
satellite services, telematics, multi-line telephone systems and other telephone related
services.

Significance of the Second Meeting of the E911 Wireless Coordination Initiative:

Transforming Cooperation into Measurable Achievements

This is a unique moment as the E911 designees gather here for the first time. It is up to
the designees to work together, in cooperation with all of the other stakeholders to
create the era
of achievement in E911 wireless services deployment. Today’s events are designed to
provide
designees with the additional resources to lead deployment efforts in their areas. Only
through
their leadership can we develop an accurate picture of the current state of E911
deployment.

Conclusion

This Initiative will close with a look ahead to the future of E911 wireless services. We
will exhibit some of the latest, most innovative technologies and their applications to
E911 and to
other public safety and homeland security issues.

As I close, I want to recognize the tremendous effort of the Wireless Telecommunications
Bureau and Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau staff in organizing this two-day
event. I
know that the Office of Engineering and Technology and the Office of Strategic Planning
and
Policy Analysis also have contributed, and I thank those offices, too.
Thank you.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-240493A1.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/