Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fiber-to-the-Home Council and Telecommunications-Report Shows Exciting New Applications for Consumers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:09:34 -0400

Todd E. This should intrest your--

Fiber-to-the-Home Council and Telecommunications
Industry Association Release Updated
Report Shows Exciting New Applications for Consumers

On September 29, the Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) Council and TIA released an update
of "U.S. Optical Fiber Communities," an ongoing list of communities that are
currently providing FTTH broadband services to customers. The updated list
includes 24 new communities, bringing the total to 94 communities in 26
states.(http://www.tiaonline.org/media/press_releases/uploads/FTTHCommlist2003.pdf
)U.S. Optical Fiber Communities, which was prepared by Render, Vanderslice &
Associates of Tulsa, Okla., was previously released in March 2003.

"FTTH technology has made major strides in the past year," said Mike DiMauro,
president of the FTTH Council. "We're seeing unprecedented RFP activity and
feasibility projects in the industry, providing momentum that should make 2004 a
banner year for FTTH projects."

"Increasingly, U.S. consumers and businesses are enjoying access to high-quality,
widespread and affordable broadband services," said TIA President Matthew J.
Flanigan. "This ongoing growth in FTTH communities provides an important
foundation for a 21st century communications network in the United States."

One of the most progressive FTTH communities is Provo, Utah, where city officials
are reviewing a plan to make FTTH services available to all the city's 32,000
homes and businesses by the end of 2005. Provo recently completed a FTTH pilot
program and is currently delivering voice, video and/or data services to
approximately 1,100 homes.

"The response has been fantastic," said Paul Venturella, telecom manager for
Provo. "People on the service are very pleased with it, and everybody else wants
to know how soon they can get it." Provo is using its FTTH network to deliver
innovative IP video-on-demand services — including elementary school musical
performances and graduation ceremonies, city council meetings, and local
university lectures — that have proved highly popular with subscribers.

According to Michael Render of Render, Vanderslice & Associates, interest in FTTH
is growing rapidly as the benefits of FTTH networks become more established.
"There are FTTH feasibility studies, pilot programs and construction projects
occurring all over the country — in communities like Fontana, Calif.; the UTOPIA
consortium in Utah; Macon, Mo.; and Lewiston and Auburn, Maine."

"In Fontana, we believe an advanced telecommunications infrastructure is a public
necessity that will deliver significant benefits to our citizens and businesses,"
said Jan McClintock, information systems manager for the city of Fontana, which
issued an RFP for a city-wide FTTH network in June 2003.
"FTTH technology is a great equalizer that will accelerate economic growth and
project a positive image of the community. This is the way of the future and we
are moving there today." View the "U.S. Optical Fiber Communities List"
About the Fiber-to-the-Home Council

The FTTH Council is a non-profit organization established in 2001 to educate the
public on the opportunities and benefits of fiber-to-the-home solutions.  FTTH
Council members represent all areas of broadband industries, including
telecommunications, computing, networking, system integration, engineering and
content-provider companies, as well as traditional telecommunications service
providers, utilities and municipalities. Communities and organizations interested
in exploring FTTH options can find information on the FTTH Council Web site at
http://www.ftthcouncil.org or by emailing [email-masked].

The FTTH Council has organized its second annual FTTH Conference & Expo, set for
New Orleans October 7-9. FTTH Conference & Expo 2003 is the only gathering of its
kind — dedicated to the advancement and deployment of fiber-to-the-home. For more
information, visit http://www.ftthconference.com.

http://www.tiaonline.org/media/press_releases/uploads/FTTHCommlist2003.pdf
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/