Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell: FCC ready to enforce LNP Nov. 24

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:10:49 -0400

Powell: FCC ready to enforce LNP Nov. 24

by Heather Forsgren Weaver

Oct. 01, 2003

WASHINGTON

Nov. 24 is the day for wireless local number portability, and carriers need to be
technically capable of porting numbers on that day, or they face enforcement
action, said FCC Chairman Michael Powell. 

The Federal Communications Commission will give the industry the guidance it says
it needs to successfully deploy WLNP, said Powell, noting the FCC has a duty to
give that guidance. He did not mention a timeframe for the guidance, however. 

Powell hinted that the guidance will include the amount of time it should take to
complete the porting of a number, and once that porting interval is established,
carriers will be expected to meet that timeframe. The wireline industry takes
three to four days to complete a port, while some in the wireless industry have
suggested an interval of 2.5 hours. 

Powell made his statements during a press breakfast where he said he was setting
his agenda and reiterated that he is not planning to retire. He called his agenda
the “out with the old and in with the new.” 

Wireless highlights of the agenda include spectrum for unlicensed services, a
broadcast flag for digital content and a resolution to the interference problem
public safety suffers in the 800 MHz band. 

“The 800 MHz issue is vital, and it is at the top of our list,” said Powell. Later
in response to a question, Powell seemed to back away from a straight rebanding
solution and said that both the FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology and the
FCC’s Wireless Telecommunications Bureau are working together to craft an answer
to the problem. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15300

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/