Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Wireless Networks Committee To Address Emergency Communications Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:45:39 -0400

New Wireless Networks Committee To Address Emergency Communications Issues

Washington, D.C.

October 1, 2003

 The E9-1-1 Institute (See thttp://www.e911institute.org/) oday announced
the formation of a broad based committee of industry and public safety
organizations to examine implementation, performance, and operational issues
related to wireless E9-1-1 systems. "The Wireless Networks Committee will
help the industry and policy makers address this critical public safety
issue," said Greg Rohde, executive director of the E9-1-1 Institute.

"There are many challenges facing wireless E9-1-1 implementation. The
Committee will play a key role in helping public safety officials, policy
makers, and industry overcome the obstacles," Rohde continued. Today, just
10% of the 911 calls made from wireless phones utilize E9-1-1 location
technology that allows public safety dispatchers to pinpoint the location of
a distressed caller.

Chaired by Mario Proietti, CEO of TechnoCom Corporation, the Wireless
Networks Committee will include industry and public safety leaders. "The
committee will bring together the people who are spearheading E9-1-1
implementation and help ensure that E9-1-1 stays on track," Proietti said.
"The large number of entities and technologies that must work in concert to
ensure that accurate and timely location information is reliably received by
our nation's emergency dispatchers makes the Wireless Networks Committee a
needed resource to ensure public safety."

"As an industry leader, Mario Proietti and TechnoCom bring a valuable
perspective," Rohde said. "The E9-1-1 Institute is fortunate to have Mr.
Proietti leading the effort to develop and recommend solutions for wireless
E9-1-1 deployment."

The Wireless Networks Committee will be a storehouse for educational
materials regarding wireless networks and E9-1-1 emergency communications.
The Committee will gather information on lessons learned from past
experiences, review current issues, and identify E9-1-1 best practices.

Specifically, the Wireless Networks Committee will examine:

-- The potential and limitations of E9-1-1 and location technology as it
relates to wireless networks.
-- Deployment and network interface challenges, including testing and
provisioning of E9-1-1 wireless systems.
-- Performance and operational issues related to wireless E9-1-1.
-- Challenges for rural and small wireless providers to deploy E9-1-1
systems.

About the E9-1-1 Institute

The E9-1-1 Institute is a not-for-profit organization created to support the
work of the Congressional E9-1-1 Caucus. The mission of the E9-1-1 Institute
is to promote public education and awareness of E9-1-1 and emergency
communications issues to advance solutions for improved E9-1-1 and emergency
communications. Gregory L. Rohde, former Administrator of the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) serves as the
Institute's executive director.

The Congressional E9-1-1 Caucus is co-chaired by Senators Conrad Burns
(R-MT) Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Representatives John Shimkus (R-IL) and
Anna Eshoo (D-CA).

For further information regarding the E9-1-1 Institute, please visit
http://www.e911institute.org or call 202-742-4273.

http://www.e911institute.org/pressRoom/100103.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/