Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lifespan of Public Safety Radios

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:11:27 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Lifespan of Public Safety Radios

The following new message has been posted on APCO Exchange Forum at 
<http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi>. 

*************************************************************************** 

  MESSAGE:  (#2131) Lifespan of Public Safety Radios 
            <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=2131> 
  AUTHOR:   Jason Swift 
  DATE:     Thursday, 23 October 2003, at 3:16 p.m. 

Hello, 
Just wondered if anyone knew where I might find a published standard for the 
lifespan of public safety radios? I know there's a standard for fire trucks 
and, our fire chief uses this to get new trucks. 
Thanks, 
Jason Swift 

***************************************************************************

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:39:42 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [APCO Exchange:] Re: Lifespan of Public Safety Radios

  MESSAGE:  (#2149) Re: Lifespan of Public Safety Radios 
            <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=2149> 
  AUTHOR:   Ralph Goetz 
  DATE:     Monday, 27 October 2003, at 10:01 a.m. 

  Reply To: (#2131) Lifespan of Public Safety Radios 
  Author:   Jason Swift 
  Date:     Thursday, 23 October 2003, at 3:16 p.m. 

Jason 
Good Morning 
Approx. 15 yrs. ago while trying to justify increasing the number of portable 
radios for the Capitol Police my Lt. (long ago retired) came up with a IRS 
ruling concerning this matter. Based on the fact that our portable radios 
where used 24/7 allegedly the IRS states that the lifespan was 3 yrs. With 
this information we started to increase the number of portables radios within 
the department. We also used maintenance records and found that the radios 
that were issued to one officer had less down time. In 98 we had two officers 
killed and one of the outcomes of the shooting was that every Capitol Police 
Officer was issued a portable radio. I hope this helps. 
Ralph 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ybSovB/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->