Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS Service Will Link Ocean-going Rower To Potential Rescuers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:26:22 -0400

GPS Service Will Link Ocean-going Rower To Potential Rescuers

Oct 15, 2003

A rower planning to travel across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans will be
tracked by Global Positioning System capabilities.

 Satamatics Ltd. http://www.satamatics.com/index1.htm a U.K. operator
of global satellite-based telematics information
services, is providing its location tracking system for Jim Shekhdar's
upcoming attempt to set a record by rowing solo across
both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

A veteran of several ocean rows, Shekhdar required a reliable tracking
system for his position to be regularly monitored on
shore. The tracking system also could alert authorities in an emergency. As
part of the effort, U.K. vendor Transas Telematics
will contribute its Fleet View Online Web-based charting and tracking
service http://www.fleetviewonline.com to allow online
access to Shekhdar's progress across 8,087 nautical miles of ocean. The
journey is scheduled to begin during the second
half of October and take Shekhdar eastward from New Zealand, via Cape Horn,
to Cape Town in South Africa.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fst%2Fst10150303%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&Collection=archive&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_satn.hts

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/