Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Officials mull paying for a statewide radio system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:10:38 -0400

Officials mull paying for a statewide radio system

LINCOLN (AP) — With many police and fire departments across the state unable to
communicate with each other via radio, there is little debate that Nebraska needs
to build a statewide communications system.

The problem is finding the $90 million to $100 million to put it together.
"That's going to be the challenge — how we can afford this in this financially
difficult time?" said Lt. Gov.
Dave Heineman.

The State Patrol and many other agencies built their radio systems more than 40
years ago.

Since then, better technology has been developed using different frequencies, but
not all departments have had radio upgrades. Thus, many departments cannot
communicate with each other.

In Madison County, for example, 19 public safety agencies use seven radio
frequencies.

Patrol Col. Tom Nesbitt said the radio problems are a safety hazard for troopers,
particularly the "dead spots" — where low-frequency radio waves used by older
systems fail to negotiate dips in terrain.

In such areas, Nesbitt said, troopers sometimes hesitate to stop suspects for fear
of being caught in a dangerous situation without access to help.

The patrol equips troopers with cellular phones and — in Omaha and Lincoln —
portable radios that are compatible with local police frequencies.

The communication void manifested itself on Aug. 13, when an inmate escaped from
two Saline County deputies who were returning him to the State Penitentiary from a
court appearance.

"We had Lincoln police, Saline County, the State Patrol and the Department of
Corrections — and nobody could talk to each other," Nesbitt said. "That could have
been a real serious situation."

State lawmakers passed a bill in 2002 that created a first-of-its-kind partnership
to buy the system.
The measure empowered the Nebraska Investment Finance Authority or other entity to
issue bonds to buy the system.
The cost of paying off the bonds would be split among the state and local police
agencies, based on how many radios they have.

Cities and counties would not have to participate in the system. While the state
would still have to pay part of the cost of the system, much of it would be
shifted to local taxpayers.

Nesbitt is heading a board appointed by Gov. Mike Johanns to figure out how to
build and pay for the system.
For their part, many cities and counties are struggling with tight budgets and
would be hard-pressed to find the money to pay for the system.

"We'd have to certainly see where it would hit the budget," said David Springer
interim city administrator for Grand Island.
Lynn Rex, executive director of the League of Nebraska Municipalities, said
building a new system is essential.
"Yes, localities are financially strapped, but ... public safety folks have to be
able to talk to each other," she said. "They just have to."

Heineman, Nebraska's director of homeland security, said the federal money
earmarked for homeland security could be used by cities and counties to buy
radios.

But under present rules, it could not be used to pay for the estimated $75 million
worth of communications towers needed to link the network.

Johanns has asked federal Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge to consider
allowing the state to use future homeland security money to help pay for the
towers.

"We're working hard to try to get the feds to agree to let us use that money,"
Nesbitt said.

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2003/10/16/news/news5.txt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/