Subject: [NEXTEL-1] P&F On- FCC Alters 18 GHz Fixed Satellite Band Plan on- Second Reconsideration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:54:15 -0400

FCC Alters 18 GHz Fixed Satellite Band Plan on- Second Reconsideration

On further reconsideration of its order [20 CR 1252, 15 FCC Rcd 13430 (2000)]
allocating the 18 GHz frequency band on a co-primary basis to fixedsatellite
service and terrestrial fixed service users, the FCC alters the band plan to make
the fixed-satellite service (FSS) the sole primary spectrum allocation in the
18.3-18.58 GHz band, and to permit the blanket licensing of geostationary orbiting
(GSO) FSS facilities in the 18.3-18.58 GHz and 29.25-29.5 GHz bands.  The new plan
provides for an orderly migration and timely reimbursement of terrestrial fixed
service (FS) incumbents in the 18.3-18.58 GHz band.  The Commission concluded that
FSS and FS licensees had to be co-primary users of the spectrum; there was really
nowhere else for the FS users to go.  Its decision on reconsideration results from
the subsequent expansion of eligibility requirements, which enabled the vast
majority of FS operators in the band to access other spectrum. The Commission is
now “in a position to be able to agree with [petitioner] Hughes’ assertion that
the demand for advanced satellite broadband offerings supports exclusively
allocating a full 1000 megahertz for GSO FSS in the 18 GHz band.” The Commission
notes that it is “under no illusion” that relocation of existing Fixed Service
users (principally to spectrum in the Cable Relay Service allocations of the
12.7-13.2 GHz and 17.7-18.3 GHz bands) will be easy to accomplish. “On further
examination, however, we now recognize that the number and geographic
concentration of terrestrial FS operations permit GSO FSS licensees to operate
across large portions of the country without the immediate need to relocate
incumbent FS licensees,” the Commission declares. This limited rural deployment is
of particular importance, the Commission adds, “in view of the emphasis that
Hughes places on the ability of its proposed satellite system to serve rural
areas.” Moreover, relocation is not unavoidable; incumbent FS licensees may opt to
remain in the 18 GHz band on a secondary basis. FS licensees have ten years to
determine whether they want to relocate or coexist on a non-interfering basis with
primary FSS licensees.

Redesignation of the 17.7-19.7 GHz Frequency Band, Broadcast Satellite-Service Use
(Second Order on Reconsideration), FCC 02-317, 11/26/02.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/