Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Surveillance Goes Mobile with New Venture by AIS and Nokia

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:53:51 -0400

Surveillance Goes Mobile with New Venture by AIS and Nokia
Source: Bangkok Post
Publication date: 2003-10-24
Arrival time: 2003-10-23

Oct. 24--In an age where personal security and protection of lives and assets is a
major concern, closed-circuit television cameras have become ubiquitous.

But "security" in the wireless age has a more fluid meaning. New technology makes
it possible for mobile phone users to have access to online surveillance wherever
they are.

Advanced Info Service (AIS) is offering the latest surveillance camera technology
for GSM-900 cellular phone users, as another step in the continuing spread of
household wireless services.

The GSM remoteCamera service is being offered in conjunction with Nokia, which is
providing its new security cameras exclusively for the country's largest cellular
operator.

Unlike a traditional closed-circuit TV monitor system, the GSM-based remote camera
can send images to a mobile phone screen while offering extra functionality, said
Artorn Techatantiwong, marketing manager of AIS.

As a result, he said, users can keep track of their personal property or family
members in any location where the camera is installed.

The camera is fitted with a SIM card and the system is capable of automatically
providing instant alerts after detecting a person passing through a restricted
area, with a multimedia messaging service that sends a picture to the user's
handset.
The system can also control the remote camera by zooming in on a conversation.
"This will enable users to know everything being heard and talked about," Mr
Artorn said.

Other advanced features allow for sending and receiving of pictures, and taking
photos at a specified time.
The remote camera, priced at 18,500 baht, includes the GSM SIM card plus a
499-baht monthly service fee for 100 messages received per month.

The camera is currently available at only six of the AIS Telewiz shops in Bangkok,
given its relatively high-end market positioning and sophisticated service
requirements.

Mr Artorn said the company expected 1,000 customers for the service during the
initial trial period following the commercial launch last week.

To see more of the Bangkok Post, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to
http://www.bangkokpost.com
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=42935684&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/