Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. Military's UWB Plans Could Create

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:42:30 -0400

U.S. Military's UWB Plans Could Create
Problems for GPS-based Weapons

Oct 15, 2003

BOSTON--The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is scrutinizing the
issue of whether the U.S. military's plans to expand the use of ultra-wideband
(UWB) communications could pose an interference problem for Global Positioning
System signals, which provide "smart weapons" with the ability to pinpoint
targets. Jay E. Padgett, who studied UWB interference with narrow-band
technologies at DARPA contractor Telcordia Technologies, said DARPA will soon
release a study assessing the UWB interference risk. The agency is about to begin
demonstrating UWB uses as part of its NETEX (networking in extreme environments)
program, he told a panel at the MilCom 2003 conference here today.

The issue of interference between UWB and GPS bedeviled the Federal Communications
Commission for a number of years as it considered rules for the commercial use of
UWB, noted Steve K. Jones, senior electronics engineer at the FCC's OET/Laboratory
Division. He told the panel that after years of considering the issue, the agency
decided last year to severely limit the power of UWB devices that operate in the
960 MHz to 3100 MHz bands, which include the bands that GPS uses to send
positioning signals.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fst%2Fst10150302%2Ehtml&DocOffset=3&DocsFound=121&QueryZip=fcc&SourceQueryZip=%28%28%28%28ct%2Cba%2Cbm%2Cbbn%2Cecn%2Cfon%2Cis%2Csatn%2Cta%2Cvia%2Cwdn%2Cidtv%2Cst%2Ctpr%29%3Cin%3Epublication%29%3Cand%3E%28ba%2Cbbn%2Cbm%2Cct%2Cecn%2Cfon%2Cis%2Cidtv%2Csatn%2Cst%2Cta%2Ctpr%2Cvia%2Cwdn%29%3Cin%3Epublication%29+%3Cand%3E+%28date+%3E%3D+09%2F01%2F2003+%3Cand%3E+date+%3C%3D+10%2F16%2F2003%29%29&Collection=sites&Collection=archive&SortSpec=date+desc&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wrap.hts
"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/