Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon WAP service from low altitude aircraft?

From: John M <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:09:27 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

Can anybody tell me if cellular data service,
specifially Verizon's, can be used from a low altitude
aircraft (in the 1000-1500' range) within a metro
area?

Looking for a means to send quick data messages, via
WAP or SMS, from a helicopter/small plane back to
ground using existing networks.  Rate of around 1
message every 5 minutes or so.

What are the FCC/FAA rulings on this sort of thing?

Also, anyone have a contact name at Verizon that I
could bring this up to?

Thanks

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search
http://shopping.yahoo.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:00:06 -0000

> Also, anyone have a contact name at Verizon that I

This is totally ILLEGAL, and you could lose your FAA license for 
6mos if caught. 

Granted "if" is the keyword, but I wouldn't risk it because you will 
pay thru the nose on your flight insurance, "if" you are caught, for 
the rest of your GA flying career.

Cellphones ASSUME you are on the ground, and you have a near LOS  
relationship with one to ~three cellsites. This works very good. 
However once airborne, this key ASSUMPTION is out the window, and 
its possible for the signal of your phone to reach tens and tens of 
cellsites. (ie based on your altitude) This will totally overload 
and fsckup the algorithms for routing calls and mobileIP, on top of 
being a gross waste of system resources.

If you do this be very careful, because if you ever get caught 
you'll be in a world of hurt. Your carrier could bill the stuffing 
out of you for the extra network access you generate.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Dylan Bromby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:17:27 -0700

I know people who have used their mobile and their WAP browser while on
approach on commercial airliners...but I do not know at what altitude.

If that helps at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: John M [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 12:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon WAP service from low altitude aircraft?

Greetings,

Thanks

 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->