Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Conference call- Bubbling, Mumbling Barry West On The ...]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:34:57 -0400

Alan,

Now that we have a reasonable understanding (plus or minus a few ah & you knows)
what Barry said we can get to the content of his comments.  For discussion
purposes we will use your transcription.

  BW: It's not possible because in order for Nextel to make the contribution that
we're talking about both in terms of spectrum and in terms of finances.  We're
basically exchanging one method of growing our business with new technologies,
meaning the Upper 200 channels that we have which is contiguous, for the 1.9. So,
these two have to be linked, otherwise you can't get a solution, that's our honest
belief, and we think that we will get a result with the FCC, but we'll have to
wait.

Barry said Nextel is exchanging the Upper 200 contiguous channels for the 1.9 Ghz.

However documents presented by the "consensus planners"  include additional
spectrum .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/2003- 02-55

<SNIP>

Following the Consensus Plan realignment, the
remaining Nextel-vacated spectrum in the non-cellularized block at 809-814/854-859

MHz will be available exclusively to public safety applicants for five years. By
reallocating Nextel’s 900 MHz Specialized Mobile Radio (“SMR”) channels for
Business/Land Transportation (“B/ILT”) and traditional SMR use and by providing a
2:1
spectrum incentive for 800 MHz B/ILT and high-site SMR licensees to relocate
voluntarily to the 900 MHz band, the Consensus Plan would clear as much as 2 MHz
of
additional 800 MHz spectrum for public safety use. In addition, the Consensus Plan

includes the reallocation of Nextel’s near-nationwide 4 MHz Guard Band licenses in
the
700 MHz band for public safety .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the 900 mhz & 700 Mhz spectrum now off the table?