Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VZW says Consensus Plan would give Nextel $6.5B windfall

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:04:04 -0000

When NXTL officals were asked for a comment about VZW's comment, 
they responded, "Well, Duh!!! We would've never made an even-handed 
proposal. Thats not how business gets done. We make an outrageous 
offer and then concede 10% off the top. That way we always win!!!"

That was just my ad-libbing
----------------------
Verizon Wireless says Consensus Plan would give Nextel $6.5B windfall
mailto:[email-masked]
by HEATHER FORSGREN WEAVER
Oct. 28, 2003 1:10 PM EST

WASHINGTON—Verizon Wireless Monday said that if the Federal 
Communications Commission agrees to the Consensus Plan to solve the 
public-safety interference problem in the 800 MHz band, Nextel 
Communications Inc. will receive a $6.5 billion windfall.

"As detailed in the Kane Reece Associates Inc. study, while Nextel 
asserts that it will merely `swap' nearly equivalent amounts of 
spectrum, the value of the spectrum it would receive is radically 
greater than the value it will turn in. Just as two 10-room houses 
may be the same size but have very different values depending on how 
the houses are built and where they are located, the 16 megahertz of 
spectrum that Nextel would receive is far more valuable than the 16 
megahertz it would turn in," said John Scott, Verizon Wireless vice 
president and deputy general counsel. "The spectrum that Nextel 
would give up is seriously impaired, while the spectrum it proposes 
to get is not. … Kane Reece estimates that the fair market value of 
the spectrum that Nextel proposes it be granted is $8.45 billion, 
while the impaired spectrum it would give up is worth $1.26 billion. 
… The Consensus Plan represents a windfall to Nextel in the amount 
of $6.5 billion."

The Kane Reece study examined spectrum values as of December 2002, 
so the Westfield, N.J.-based firm said the value of the spectrum 
Nextel seeks could be worth even more.

Nextel did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The FCC has been struggling to find a way to solve the interference 
problem public safety is experiencing in the 800 MHz band. On the 
same day that Verizon made its filing, RCR Wireless News reported 
that FCC staff are readying a proposal that would give no more than 
six megahertz in the 1.9 GHz band to Nextel.

While there are a variety of different options that could be used, 
there are only two plans on the table.

The Consensus Plan would split the 800 MHz band into two parts—one 
for cellularized systems and one for non-cellularized systems. 
Nextel would give up spectrum in the 700 MHz and 900 MHz bands and 
pay for retuning in exchange for spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band. 
Nextel would pay up to $850 million to relocate public-safety and 
private-wireless licensees to other portions of the 800 MHz band.

The balanced-approach proposal, sponsored by the Cellular 
Telecommunications & Internet Association and the United Telecom 
Council, calls for timely resolution of interference at the expense 
of the interferer, coupled with technical rules, notification and 
coordination procedures to prevent new interference. 

see: http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15689

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:38:09 -0500

And BBW thinks this will be done in Q1-O4? Not hardly. This going to make Nextwave

scam look like a walk in the park. Nextel is going to get busted just like they
did with Nextwave
and then try to sweep it under the rug!

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ybSovB/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->