Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NextWave Pursues Las Vegas MMDS Trial

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:15:08 -0400

NextWave Pursues Las Vegas MMDS Trial
BY MARK ROCKWELL
OCTOBER 1, 2003

WASHINGTON -- NextWave Telecom Inc. today asked a bankruptcy court judge for
permission to begin a broadband wireless technology trial in Las Vegas.

According to NextWave's filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern
District of New York, the trial will be the latest in a series of broadband
technology trials the company has been conducting since it retooled its original
plan of providing wireless voice-only services. The company says it also has
completed trials of other wireless data technologies, including EV-DO.

Now the company wants to work with IPWireless Inc. and acquire 24 MHz of spectrum
to test a multichannel multipoint distribution system in a Las Vegas trial.  With
its exploding population and good cross section of demographics, Las Vegas is
viewed as an optimal place to test mainstream demand for data services.

The company says implementing Wi-Fi and other hot spot wireless data technologies
isn't an appropriate or economically viable solution for wide geographic markets
like New York, Los Angeles or Las Vegas. Wi-Fi is more suited to highly localized
applications such in coffee shops, homes or offices.

If the court approves the request this month, NextWave says it would "fully
demonstrate technical and operational capabilities through the Las Vegas trial in
January 2004."

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=10/01/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/