Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Coast Guard wants long-range ship tracking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:43:14 -0400

Coast Guard wants long-range ship tracking

BY Judi Hasson
Oct. 2, 2003

The U.S. Coast Guard hopes to develop a long-range system to track sea vessels
headed toward the United States.
As mandated by Congress in the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002, the
Coast Guard is looking for a few good technologies and systems that could identify
and track ships before they enter U.S. waters. In a request for information, the
Coast Guard said it seeks ideas from vendors about ways to track ships 96 hours in
advance of their arrival at a U.S. port, and get those vessels' data, cargo and
destinations.

Nat Heiner, the Coast Guard's chief knowledge officer, declined to say how much
the contract would be worth. But he said the plan is part of the overall
architecture for the Coast Guard, which is now part of the Homeland Security
Department.
"The stakes are very high," Heiner said at a luncheon on Oct. 2 sponsored by the
Industry Advisory Council.
While he declined to say how the Coast Guard is sharing information with other
parts of DHS, Heiner did say that "resources are being set aside to attack the
problem, and do so in a way that is joint."

The deadline for vendors to respond to the Coast Guard's request for tracking
systems is Nov.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0929/web-coast-10-02-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/