Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Announces Settlement of Class Action Lawsuit Regarding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:05:58 -0400

Nextel Announces Settlement of Class Action Lawsuit Regarding
Federal Program Cost Recovery Fee
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-10-03

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 3, 2003--Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL), a leading provider of wireless communications services on the
largest all-digital wireless network in the country, today reached a settlement of
a class action lawsuit relating to Nextel's Federal Programs Cost Recovery Fee.
The lawsuit challenges the lawfulness and manner in which Nextel discloses details
about this fee to its customers to offset the costs associated with developing and
deploying Federal Communications Commission (FCC)-mandated programs.
Under the terms of the settlement, Nextel has agreed to continue to make certain
express statements in its billing, its advertising and when responding to
customers who inquire about the fee.

"We believe that our advertising and billing practices have been truthful and are
straightforward," said Patsy McSweeney, senior litigation counsel for Nextel, "and
this settlement validates our position that the fee is reasonable for us to
recover costs associated with costly government mandates."

The lawsuit concerns the manner in which Nextel discloses the terms of its Federal
Programs Cost Recovery Fee. The fee appears as a line-item on billing statements
and in Nextel advertising. The fee is to recover the significant costs of
implementing three important federal programs mandated by the FCC: Phase II
Enhanced 911, Telephone Number Pooling, and Wireless Number Portability.

The settlement announced today allows Nextel to continue these practices. Pending
preliminary approval by the court, notice will be sent to the eligible classes in
the suit regarding the proposed terms of the settlement. Then, a federal judge
will review the terms of the settlement and, if approved, the members of the class
will receive value in the form of minutes or other benefits, depending on which
class of impacted current, former or returning customers to which they belong.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=42289929&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/