Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public & Safety and iDEN- Interconnect Call Model

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:11:32 -0400

Public & Safety and iDEN-  Interconnect Call Model

Interconnect Call Model

In most cases an interconnect call will place a greater load on the system.
Exchanges
tend to be longer and require more resources. A typical Interconnect call models
is
summarized in below.

 Sample Interconnect Call Model

Note :Call Models vary. Call Models depend on markets and marketing strategies.
The information provided is for example only.

Characteristic                                 Value

Percent Interconnect Traffic (Erlang) 50%

Call Arrival Rate (per Subscriber or Dispatcher per Busy Hour) 0.6

Mean Call Hold Time 132 sec.

Mean Call Handover Rate 4/minute

Traffic Intensity per Subscriber (Busy Hour) 0.022E

Mean Number of Servers Illuminated per Interconnect Call 1

Voice Activity Factor 0.35

Traffic Model Erlang B

GOS (Grade of Service) RF Blocking 1%