Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DoD enlists RFID tags in procurement battle]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:20:25 -0400

DoD enlists RFID tags in procurement battle
By George Leopold, EE Times
October 23, 2003 (3:53 p.m. EST)
URL: http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20031023S0054 

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is adopting RFID technology to manage its vast 
inventory of supplies and materiel.

The Defense Department said Thursday (Oct. 23) its Radio Frequency 
Identification Policy is designed to help speed transactions with 
contractors while allowing the military to “realign resources and 
streamline business processes.” 

The procurement initiative will require contractors to begin using passive 
RFID tags on packaging by January 2005. Acknowledging the impact on the 
already Byzantine military procurement process, DoD said it is planning an 
RFID summit in February to address contractors' concerns. An implementation 
strategy is scheduled to be completed by next June. 

Exempt from the new policy, to industry's relief, are bulk items like sand, 
gravel and water. 

The adoption of RFID technology is part of an ongoing effort by the 
Pentagon's civilian leadership to transform the way the huge enterprise 
conducts business.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/