Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NTT Communications' IP Phone Network to be Linked to Cellphones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 04:21:22 -0400

NTT Communications' IP Phone Network to be Linked to Cellphones
Source: Jiji Press English News Service
Publication date: 2003-10-04

Tokyo, Oct. 4 (Jiji Press)--NTT Communications Corp. will allow its
Internet Protocol-based phone service subscribers to make calls to
cellphone users, and vice versa, starting in November at the earliest in a
bid to attract more subscribers.

The company's IP phone network will be connected with cellphone
networks of NTT DoCoMo Inc. , KDDI Corp. , Vodafone K.K., and the
TU- KA group.

NTT Communications, a unit of Japanese telecommunications giant
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. , is expected to charge dozens
of yen per minute for calls to cellphones from its IP phones.

At present, users of NTT Communications' IP phones can make free calls
to each other, and also to subscribers to services of Nifty Corp. and other
Internet access providers that are in tie-ups with NTT Communications.

But they cannot ring up users of KDDI's IP phone service and the Softbank
Corp. group's "BB Phone" service, as well as users of cellphones and
personal handy phone, or PHS, system handsets.

NTT Communications plans to make its IP phones accessible to PHS, in
addition to cellphones.

Moreover, the company will link its network to IP phones of its rivals in
December and on, including NTT East Corp., KDDI, PoweredCom Inc.,
and Fusion Communications Corp. Connection with BB Phone is not
planned at the moment.

Publication date: 2003-10-04

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=42315259&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AEquipment&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/