Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Approval pushes cell tower toward final vote

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:34:34 -0400

Approval pushes cell tower toward final vote

PAUL POST , The Saratogian
10/16/2003

GREENFIELD -- A firm's plan to build a cell tower off South Greenfield Road has
cleared a major hurdle, with the town Planning Board's acceptance of a final
environmental study for the project.

The board also has given the green light to plans for a nature center and day
camp.

Tower Ventures Inc. of Pittsfield, Mass., wants to build a 185-foot tower that it
says is needed to close a gap in cell coverage between Saratoga Springs and
Corinth.  Firms such as Cingular Wireless and Nextel have expressed interest in
putting antennae on the tower.

Neighbors have voiced extreme opposition, saying a tower will have a negative
visual effect that could devalue their homes and property.

After nearly two years of extensive debate, the Planning Board on Tuesday accepted
TVI's final environmental impact statement. The public now has 10 days to make
final comments and provide relevant arguments about why a tower should or
shouldn't be built.

The Planning Board is expected to make a final decision about the tower at its
next meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 28.
The structure is set to be built on the Duane Cornell property, off South
Greenfield Road.
Nature center OK'd

The board granted approval to a developer's plan to build a day camp and nature
center on 60 acres he owns off Greene Road.

Vincent Walsh wants to open a facility called Kawing Crow Awareness Center, where
children and adults can learn wilderness, outdoors and sustainable living skills.
The board granted approval for his project's first two phases, which include
construction of two buildings, sanitary facilities and a day-camp operation.

Residents have voiced concerns about increased traffic and a basic change in
neighborhood character. Walsh previously said at least 40 cars per day could visit
the site.

The board has restricted his operations to 15 participants and five staff members
at any given time. Also, it can only be open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Dake said this will give the town a chance to see what kind of impact the center
has before considering future expansions. Walsh's long-term plan includes
overnight camping.

As a condition of approval, Walsh must first obtain state Health Department
approval for a somewhat controversial sanitation facility that involves composting
human waste. This will be used instead of a regular sanitation system.

Dake said Walsh must submit DOH approvals to the town engineer before his center
can open.

http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10327156&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/