Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Rugged laptop arena perfect for Motorola

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:42:35 -0400

Rugged laptop arena perfect for  Motorola

BY Sara Michael
Sept. 29, 2003

Motorola Inc. is expanding its public safety scope beyond portable police
terminals.
The company, which for 30 years has been making wireless data communications
systems for law enforcement and emergency personnel, moved into the ruggedized
laptop arena a year ago with the introduction of the Mobile Laptop 800. The
company unveiled another ruggedized system, the ML900, in May.

Motorola's move into the ruggedized laptop market is the next logical step in
expanding the company's product line, said Steve Surwillo, portfolio manager for
mobile computers at Motorola.
"It was a natural extension," he said. "The packaging of those terminal type
products into a laptop was very easy."

Most companies rely on military standards to build their products, which include
specific tests for impacts, rain and dust, for example, but can also vary
substantially. Motorola created its own standards, however, which included a few
functionalities not included under military standards, such as a screen impact
test.

"There are standards, but they are fairly loose," Surwillo said. "We comply with
those and define them more tightly."

Military personnel typically use ruggedized laptops for base patrol and field
command, Surwillo said. Motorola's largest market is state and local law
enforcement, emergency responders, and utility and transportation personnel. Such
users rely on ruggedized laptops to operate in harsh environments and allow them
to communicate with one another.

Motorola's wireless data communication systems provide secure, wireless
communications from handheld devices and, most notably, terminals mounted in
police cruisers and emergency vehicles.
"Motorola has a very long history of wireless communications and computing," said
Max Peterson, vice president of federal sales for CDW Government Inc. "They
understand the requirements of that segment very well. Their step is a very
logical extension."

Motorola is no stranger to ruggedized laptops, having worked closely with other
manufacturers.  "We had worked with them and felt the market was demanding other
manufacturers," Surwillo said.
Peterson said Motorola offers unique features in ruggedized laptops, such as
durable screens and hinging. The products are also built for easy docking in
vehicles. He said although every vendor's products, such as those made by one of
the leading providers, Panasonic, have different features and capabilities,
Motorola has a strong product for public safety workers.

"Our goal is to put the right technology in the customers' hands to fit their
mission problem," Peterson said. "Motorola will perform better than the Panasonic
units and more appropriately in the area of public safety," within particular
customer requirements.

Tim Shea, a senior market analyst for Venture Development Corp., said Motorola has
increased its visibility in comparison to Panasonic and Itronix Inc., another
large manufacturer.  The company's knowledge of the field and strength in wireless
communications give it an advantage, he said.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0929/tec-rugged-09-29-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/