Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless monitor extends to 802.11g networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:07:41 -0400

Wireless monitor extends to 802.11g networks
Source: Newsbytes
Publication date: 2003-10-03

Security monitors are scarce for the rapidly proliferating IEEE 801.11b wireless
networks, not to mention the newer a and g WiFi flavors. The AirDefense 3.5
security and monitoring system from AirDefense Inc. of Alpharetta, Ga., can
simultaneously monitor all three LAN types.

Its remote sensors look for suspicious activities by setting up parent-child
relationships between specified access points and WiFi clients at 2.4- and 5-GHz
frequencies. AirDefense consists of a dedicated server running proprietary
software plus a security policy or list of parameters that set off an alarm.

If a policy violation occurs, AirDefense Guard tries to reconfigure the access
point to the correct policy. An alarm sounds by default if the unit detects, for
example, an unfamiliar wireless client or a duplicated media access control
address.

Using the system, an administrator can actively manage WLAN access points. The
policy can specify no access outside normal hours and prevent users from
connecting to certain access points.

AirDefense maps an up-to-date graphical image of all wireless devices detected on
the network and their connection types. Its optional frame-capturing ability lets
it function as a packet analyzer for in-depth information about possible rogue
devices.
The GCN Lab will test the prowess of AirDefense 3.5 in a future issue.
Reported By GCN Daily Updates, http://www.gcn.com

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=42279768&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/