Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FEMA might pay for the equipment if the county's insurance policy won't.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:41:37 -0400

Insurance snafu delays replacement of 911 gear

FEMA might pay for the equipment if the county's insurance policy won't.
By STEPHEN SIFF

VINDICATOR TRUMBULL STAFF
WARREN — Trumbull County commissioners are preparing to borrow $800,000 to replace
flood-damaged 911 equipment that their insurance company has so far been reluctant
to cover.

United National Insurance Co. has so far offered only to refurbish the telephone
and radio equipment, a process that would cost $90,000, local officials say.

In the meantime, for the last three months 911 dispatchers have been using radios
that occasionally blink out and fry circuit boards, and phone lines that
mysteriously light up.

"There are a lot of times we lose communications," said Joe Consiglio,
Weathersfield Township police chief, at a meeting of police chiefs and 911 board
members. "It is a major concern. It keeps you up at night."

Commissioners say they still hope the insurance company will cover the cost of
replacing equipment, not just refurbishing it. Officials have been bickering with
the county's insurer for months over the issue, but until two weeks ago believed
that the equipment would be replaced, said 911 director Tim Gladis.
Considering suing

At the meeting Wednesday, commissioners said they are ready to just go out and buy
the equipment, and if necessary sue the insurance company to cover the bill.
As much as 75 percent of the county's out-of-pocket costs could be picked up by
the Federal Emergency Management Agency, officials say.

Commissioners say they will talk this week with a lawyer who deals with bond
issues, and could vote on the matter Wednesday. It would be at least 90 more days
before the equipment arrives and is put in service, said 911 director Tim Gladis.

The companies selling the equipment, Sprint and Motorola, both recommend
replacement, as did an assessor from the local offices of Gallagher Pipino Inc.,
which sold the county its policy. But a consultant sent by United National
Insurance Co. — a secondary insurer, who covers Gallagher Pipino from excess loss
— said the equipment can be fixed.

Gladis says he plans to complain to state regulatory agencies about the length of
time the insurance company has been taking and its reluctance to replace the
critical equipment.

"We see no urgency on their part," he said.
Controversial purchase

The decision to buy insurance from Gallagher Pipino in the first place was
controversial. In 2001, commissioners James Tsagaris and Joseph Angelo voted to
switch from to the company from CORSA, an insurance cooperative run by Ohio
counties.

A consultant hired by commissioners to analyze the deal recommended against the
switch. Commissioner Michael O'Brien voted against giving a one-year contract to
Gallagher in 2001, and voted against it again when it came up for renewal in 2002.

If the county had stayed with CORSA, it would have already received a check, he
said.

http://www.vindy.com/local_news/302061337468330.php

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/