Subject: [NEXTEL-1] How Public Safety Gets DONE- The City Council expressed extreme dismay over failure by NEXTEL to complete the city’s police communications system.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:50:08 -0500

"How Public Safety Gets DONE"
"The City Council expressed extreme dismay over failure by NEXTEL to complete the city’s
police communications system."
City declines annexation of property
By Bob Sonderegger
The Angleton Times

Published October 29, 2003

Citing costs far in excess of gains, the Angleton City Council last week turned down a
request by nine residents along Anchor Road (County Road 44) for annexation.

The residents expressed a need for city water and sewer services in the petition for
annexation signed by nine residents.
City Administrator Michael Stoldt said the city declined the offer to annex based on
estimated cost.
"It would cost approximately $380,000 to provide the services," Stoldt said. "The city
just does not have the money to do that."

The city administrator noted in a memo to the Council that the issue of utilities in the
area had "apparently come to a head." The memo noted that the "line of mobile/manfuactured
homes, has apparently, according to residents, has been served with paperwork to upgrade
sewers and water wells.

City Council approved an agreement through the Texas Municipal League to pay what City
Attorney Keith Vaughn called a nuisance amount in a suit claiming false arrest. The
settlement amount was listed at $2,500.

The City Council expressed extreme dismay over failure by NEXTEL to complete the city’s
police communications system.
"We want to get what we contracted for and we want to get it in a timely manner," Stoldt
said.
"We have not paid in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 percent on the project and we will not
be making any payments until the project is completed.” Stoldt said the problem of
connection with state communications to get personal criminal and driving history as well
as information on vehicles had not been resolved.

Such information is currently transmitted over the airways. Police could also make reports
on computers in their vehicles rather than returning to the office to make the
reports."The purpose is to allow the officer to spend more time on the street," Stoldt
said. "When that happens, it will be a big improvement." Stoldt said little work appeared
to happen after Sgt.  D.T. "Skip" Allen and Police Chief David Ashburn gave a report on
progress at the Council’s September meeting.
Since the Oct. 21 discussion, he said there were significant signs of work being done.

With more speakers favoring a requested change in zoning to allow American Legion
activities to be conducted, the Council approved a zoning changed and special use permit.

The property is on a five-acre tract at 812 West Miller. The zoning change from R-4
residential to R-7 apartment residential allows the special use permit to be issued.

The zoning request, which was made by American Legion Post 835, did not zone the property
to a level where a liquor sales license could be issued. The council voted to approve
commercial zoning on property at Henderson Road and County Road 340.  The land is
approximately 300 feet south of FM 523.  Owned by Joe Galaznik, the property was recently
annexed into the city limits. Council also approved a personnel handbook for the city.
http://www.angletontimes.com/report.lasso?WCD=1106