Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US 3G Spectrum Order Out

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:10:33 -0400

US 3G Spectrum Order Out
Oct 17, 2003

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday issued rules to enable wireless
providers to offer third-generation services, including wireless broadband
Internet access, in the 1710-1755 MHz and 2110-2155 MHz spectrum bands. But don't
hold your breath for those services to launch. As far as when those spectrum bands
will be available, the FCC on Thursday said only that "licenses will be assigned
via auction in the future." In the meantime, the 45 MHz in the 1710-1755 MHz bands
is used exclusively by the Department of Defense and other federal agencies, and
the 45 MHz in the 2110-2170 MHz bands is used by paging, fixed microwave and
mobile-satellite telecom operations. While the commission plans the auctions for
next year, it also acknowledges that until Congress enacts legislation to
reimburse the DOD for moving its radio systems to make room for commercial
services, the auctions could be delayed.

The commission includes provisions to make bandwidth available not only to large
and small companies, but also to mobile and fixed wireless service providers. Its
band plan for the spectrum swaths includes a mixture of license sizes and
geographic areas. The mixture includes 20 MHz licenses in the 1710-1720 and
2110-2120 MHz bands covering Economic Areas; and 10 MHz licenses in the 1735-1740
and 2135-2140 MHz bands covering Cellular Market Areas. Also, Regional Economic
Area Group licenses will be available in 20 MHz in the 1720-1730 and 2120-2130 MHz
bands, in 10 MHz in the 1730-1735 and 2130-2135 MHz bands and in 30 MHz in the
1740-1755 and 2140-2155 MHz bands.

The next issue, available Wednesday, of Communications Today sister publication
Wireless Data News will include an in-depth look at the FCC's 3G spectrum order.

http://search.pbimedia.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2Fdocuments%2Farchive%2Fct%2Fct10170304%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&Collection=archive&&ViewTemplate=new_tweb_view_wdn.hts

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/