Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wilton to buy radio system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:06:38 -0400

Wilton to buy radio system
By LEE HIGGINS
Special to The Hour

The Board of Selectmen has voted unanimously to award Motorola a $1,595,000
contract for the construction of a new radio communications system for town
emergency personnel. That decision followed months of negotiations between the
town and Motorola after the company submitted the lone bid for the project in June
at $1,938,621.

"The quote came in a little bit higher than we anticipated and Steve and Pete
(consultants) worked very hard with Motorola," said First Selectman Paul Hannah.
"This has been scrubbed." Town voters approved a $1.5 million bond issue for a new
system in the Fiscal Year 2003 budget. While the contract with Motorola is pegged
at nearly $1.6 million, additional costs, including $44,000 in consulting fees,
brings the total cost for the project to $1,728,000. Hannah said 2003 and 2004
capital improvement grants will fund the difference.  The new system is designed
to give police, fire, and EMS personnel on hip portable radio coverage guaranteed
95 percent of the time covering a significant portion of Wilton.
A radio committee headed by Hannah, which has included several consultants, Deputy
Fire Chief George Peters, Wilton Police Lt.  Robert Crosby, and Management Analyst
Joe Bonomo, held two years of meetings closed to the public to discuss the
system.  Consultants Steve Verbil of Verbil Communications and Pete Oliver of
Oliver Associates expressed confidence Tuesday the negotiations did not compromise
the system's quality. "We're satisfied that we've probably negotiated Motorola
down to the lowest possible amount for a system that will work," said Verbil.

Wilton police spokesman Capt. Ed Kulhawik said the current communications system
is "completely outdated" and the new system will improve car to portable radio
coverage, portable radio to portable radio coverage, and portable radio to
headquarters coverage, in addition to improving communications through walls of
buildings.  Hannah said the new system will give "Wilton an up-to-date emergency
communications system for our Police, Fire and EMS."

http://www.thehour.com/278981773280881.bsp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/