Subject: [NEXTEL-1] BREAKING NEWS: FBI Orders All U.S. Commercial Flights Searched]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:03:50 -0400

UPDATED: 12:42 p.m. EDT October 17, 2003
WASHINGTON -- The FBI is investigating discovery of three suspicious bags aboard
two commercial aircraft in the United States that contained box cutters and at
least one note questioning air safety, officials said Friday. 

Discovery of the bags late Thursay night has led to a government order that all
U.S. commercial flights be searched by security personnel within 24 hours,
according to a senior law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity. 
 
CONTACT INFORMATION
Report suspicious activity to the FBI.
Web Site
FBI Tips
Toll-Free Hot Line
(866) 483-5137 
The items were found in bags aboard two Southwest Air Lines planes that are now on
the ground in Houston and New Orleans, officials said. The bags were not found in
suitcases or other luggage, but officials declined to describe the bags further. 
In addition to the box cutters, the FBI found bleach and some form of clay. It was
not clear if there was more than one note. 
 
The 19 al-Qaida operatives who hijacked planes and crashed them on Sept. 11, 2001,
used box cutters as weapons. 
 
FBI spokeswoman Susan Whitson confirmed the existence of the investigation, which
she said is being handled by some of the FBI's 84 joint terrorism task forces and
the Department of Homeland Security. 
Al-Qaida and its affiliated terrorist groups have long had an interest in using
aircraft as weapons. The FBI and Homeland Security Department have issued numerous
warnings about possible tactics terrorists could use, including use of small
carry-on items such as cameras to blow up airplanes. 
 
Our Homeland Security Page
Preparedness Tips
Do You Have Contact Plan?
Would You Report Suspicious Activity?
Five Levels Of Alert System
Department Of Homeland Security
Red Cross Family Crisis Plan 
FEMA: Are You Ready? Ready.gov

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/