Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push-to-talk over Cellular products announced

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:36:17 -0500

Push-to-talk over Cellular products announced

Nokia makes noise about PoC
By Tony Dennis: Tuesday 28 October 2003, 14:24

AS PART its strategy to enable GSM operators to compete against the
likes of Nextel - which employs Motorola's i-Den technology - Nokia has
just announced two infrastructure products which allow 'walkie-talkie'
conversations over GPRS.

Termed Push-to-talk over Cellular (PoC) solutions, the Nokia PoC Call
Processor handles the actual traffic, while the Nokia Poc Register
handles the subscriber data.

Naturally you're going to need a PoC compatible handset to take
advantage of this solution so Nokia plans to start selling handsets
which support the necessary Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) sometime
during Q1-Q2 2004.

Nokia didn't mention it specifically but back in February it promised -
along with Siemens and Ericsson - that it would base its PoC solution on
IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) as defined by the 3GPP.
Interestingly Nokia claims that the technology has been undergoing
trials since June and that 20 networks worldwide are already testing it.

Infrastructure vendors like Nokia need to get their skates on because
software based solutions from the likes of Sonim and Fastmobile are
already out there being deployed in commercial use. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12380

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/