Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Strategies for States to Achieve Public Safety Wireless Interoperability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:02:44 -0400

©NGA Center for Best Practices, 444 North Capitol Street, Suite 267, Washington,
D.C. 20001 9/11/2003 1
Issue Brief

Contact: Erin Lee, 202/624-5392
Homeland Security and Technology Division

Strategies for States to Achieve Public Safety Wireless Interoperability

Summary

Popular television shows that feature computers in patrol cars, life-saving
technologies in rescue vehicles, and the latest state-of-the-art dispatch centers
may lead citizens to believe that first responders can and do effortlessly
communicate with each other on a regular basis. But the truth is many public
safety radio communication systems across this country lack interoperability, or
the ability to share voice and data, between and among agencies and jurisdictions.

The lack of interoperability is a serious, pressing public safety problem that
severely undermines the
capacities of law enforcement, firefighters, and other first responders to respond
to and manage emergency
situations. The tragic events of September 11, 2001, focused attention on the
urgent need for public safety and other agencies to communicate reliably and
effectively with each other when called upon in a crisis.

There are five challenges public officials must address to achieve
interoperability:

1. incompatible and aging communications equipment,
2. limited and fragmented funding,
3. limited and fragmented planning,
4. lack of coordination and cooperation, and
5. limited and fragmented radio spectrum.

Governors are critical in meeting these challenges. They can provide the
leadership to create statewide and
regional interoperability capacity for more effective public safety. To do this,
governors can employ the following strategies:

• institutionalize a governance structure that fosters collaborative planning
among local, state, and federal government agencies;

• encourage the development of flexible and open architecture and standards;

• support funding for public safety agencies that work to achieve interoperability
and reject agency budgets that do not include interoperable solutions; and

• support the efforts of the public safety community to work with the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) to allocate ample spectrum for public safety and
create contiguous bands for public safety spectrum.

This Issue Brief will provide a definition of interoperability, a discussion of
the challenges facing interoperable communications, and strategies governors can
employ to achieve interoperability in their states.

http://www.nga.org/cda/files/0903INTEROP.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/