Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police in Vanuatu to Benefit from New Radio Systems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:09:05 -0400

Police in Vanuatu to Benefit from New Radio Systems
By Anne-Marie Sarisets
Posted Thursday, October 16, 2003

Police in Vanuatu will be soon be making use of a new radio system installed in
some parts of the country such as Epi, Tongoa Police Post and Tanna Police
Station.
According to Lieutenant and current Force Communications Officer Rodney Spooner,
the new radio system, called Barrett Radio, has the capability to greatly upgrade
police communications in the islands. He said the Barett Radio will also be used
as a fax and telephone service that will hopfully be in use at the end of this
year.

Mr. Spooner went on to say that the radio will also be installed in police patrol
cars so police in the islands can directly keep in touch with the officer in
charge. He expects that he and his staff will be visiting Lakatoro and Lamap
police station in Malekula then to Santo, East and West Ambae and to the Banks in
the Torba Province.

"This new radio system will help us a lot in terms monitoring illegal fishing
boats, and also with this new system we will be able to let the ship know about
what we are talking about, even the position of the ship" said Lt. Spooner.

Spooner confirmes that the old HF radio system that will now be replaced by the
new Barrett Radio will be donated to the hospital in the islands that have agreed
to use it, and also those having problems with communication. he also emphasized
that over the last 12 months, extensive work has been carried out in Port-Vila on
the VHF radio network, and once the new work being carried out on the Port-Vila
Police Station is complete, the communications branch will install new VHF radios
and provide the station with a number of new portable radios as well.

According to Lt. Spooner, over the last three years the Australian Defence
Co-operation Program (DCP) has provided around 10 million vatu worth of
communications equipment to assist the Vanuatu Police Force (VPF) in their efforts
to maintain law and order throughout Vanuatu. For this reason, on behalf of the
Police Commissioner, he wishes to express his thanks to the DCP for their
assistance with providing the VPF with functional and secure communications
systems.

Lt. Spooner said the communications networks were previously established in the
early 1990's with assistance from the DCP, and since this time the VPF
communications branch and DCP advisors have maintained closed working relations.

He concluded that it is his hope that with all this new equipment the police will
take up the challenge and fully utilize the resources being provided to them,
especially in the islands.

http://www.news.vu/en/news/aid/868.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/