Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police squads get new computers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 04:49:49 -0400

10/03/03
Police squads get new computers
Arlington Heights, IL

The Buffalo Grove Police Department will upgrade its equipment with new computers
for its 20 squad cars.

The Village Board last week approved a $142,300 contract with Motorola/Chicago
Communications for 20 laptop computers with Pentium 4 processors and a modem.
The computers currently in the police cars are at least five years old and cannot
take full advantage of the features of which the software package is capable.

"Our current hardware does not support current and future operating systems," said
Police Chief Steve Balinski. In addition, the old equipment "was constantly
failing," he said. If the squad's computer is not working properly, the vehicle is
taken off the street. Without a data terminal, an officer cannot receive
information electronically about license plates, drivers licenses and a subject's
prior offenses, Balinski said.

The new equipment will "enhance the effectiveness and safety of our officers,"
Balinsky said. The mobile computers allow officers "to take reports on the street
and stay on the street," said Balinski, rather than returning to the station to
file a report.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/ppo-story/localnews/current/bg/10-02-03-nwsbrf.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/