Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DTV TRANSITION MOVING FORWARD: FCC SAYS MORE THAN 80% OF COMMERCIAL DTV STATIONS ARE ON THE AIR

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:25:45 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
October 16, 2003      Michelle Russo 202-418-2358

DTV TRANSITION MOVING FORWARD: FCC SAYS MORE THAN 80% OF COMMERCIAL DTV STATIONS
ARE ON THE AIR
Acts on Third Extension Requests for Few Remaining Broadcasters

Washington, D.C. - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today said the
transition to digital television is moving forward as 1,061 TV stations,
representing 81 percent of all commercial stations, are currently on the air with
a DTV signal. The FCC noted that broadcast stations have made significant progress
and that most of the remaining stations have made diligent efforts to broadcast a
DTV signal. Today, the FCC took action regarding 141 stations that filed a request
for a third extension. Of these, the FCC granted 104 stations with an additional
six months to begin broadcasting a digital signal. Seven stations were denied
extensions and issued letters of admonishment.
To further a nationwide system of DTV, the FCC adopted in 1997 an aggressive DTV
construction schedule. This required television stations affiliated with the ABC,
CBS, Fox, and NBC television networks to build DTV facilities in the ten largest
television markets by May 1, 1999.  Stations affiliated with these networks in
television markets ranked 11 through 30 were required to construct their DTV
facilities by November 1, 1999.  All other commercial stations were required to
construct their DTV facilities by May 1, 2002, and all noncommercial stations were
to have constructed their stations by May 1, 2003.

Stations requesting extensions of their DTV deadline are required to demonstrate
that failure to construct has been due to circumstances either unforeseeable or
beyond their control. Moreover, stations must show construction progress since the
grant of their last extension. Stations that fail to explain their inability to
meet their DTV construction obligation will be subject to the recently-adopted DTV
remedial measures including admonishment, forfeiture and reporting requirements.

The 104 stations that were granted a third extension demonstrated that their
request was warranted and showed progress on construction of their facilities
since the grant of their last extension. Examples of delays encountered by these
stations are construction delays; delays in equipment delivery; local tower siting
problems; the September 11th attack in New York; stations awaiting FCC action on
rulemakings or applications; and stations with financial problems.

- more -

Seven stations failed to adequately justify further extension of their DTV
deadline. The FCC admonished these stations and gave them six months to complete
construction of their DTV facilities or face financial sanctions.  During this six
month period, the stations will be subject to periodic reporting requirements to
ensure that construction is progressing. The seven stations are: WVUE in New
Orleans, LA; WICZ in Binghamton, NY; WKBW in Buffalo, NY; KMVU in Medford, OR;
WSJU in San Juan, Puerto Rico; WDWL in Bayamon, Puerto Rico; WJAR in Providence,
RI.

The remaining 30 stations are classified “satellite” stations, which are full
power terrestrial broadcast stations that are authorized to retransmit all or part
of the programming of a parent station that typically is commonly owned. The issue
of whether to permit satellites to turn in their digital authorization and “flash
cut” to DTV transmission at the end of the transition period is currently under
consideration, and thus the FCC today deferred the construction deadlines for
these stations until that issue is resolved.

Action by the Commission, October 16, 2003, by Order (FCC 03-250).  Chairman
Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein.

-FCC-

Media Bureau contact: Shaun Maher at 202-418-1600.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-240048A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/