Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sun establishes java.com as leading consumer destination for Java technology content

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:04:40 -0400

Tuesday 14 October 2003, 17:02 GMT

Sun establishes java.com as leading consumer destination for Java technology
content

Santa Clara, California, October 14 /PRNewswire/ -- - New Sony pictures mobile
games highlight site's dramatic early success in showcasing wide range of content
to consumers;
- About 19 million users from 190 countries have initiated free Java software
download in 120 days

Sun Microsystems, Inc. , the creator and leading advocate of Java(TM) technology,
today announced that java.com has established itself as the leading consumer
destination for Java technology content, with a focus on mobile devices. Today
java.com is showcasing content including games and entertainment from companies
such as Sony Pictures Mobile, Sega, Sorrent (maker of FOX Sports(TM) Football and
FOX Sports(TM) Basketball) and personal productivity tools maker like the Piranha
Pricecheck product from mpowers LLC.

"We launched java.com to be the ultimate consumer resource for Java technology
consumers," said Ingrid Van Den Hoogen, senior director, Java and Software
Strategic Marketing, Sun Microsystems. "The tremendous success of the site is
clear and this is just the beginning. The new gaming content from Sony is a good
example of how java.com will continue to improve and expand to offer the most
compelling Java content available to every consumer, everywhere."

java.com provides consumers with a single place to find all the information they
need on Java technology. It is the only site in the industry where consumers can
download a free Java Runtime Environment for the desktop with support for
Solaris(TM) Operating System(OS), Windows, Linux and Mac desktops, and it is the
leading site dedicated to Java consumers. Third parties working with java.com have
quickly found it a very successful way to reach Java technology consumers.
"At Nextel we're very excited about our presence on java.com. By partnering with
Sun and leveraging Java technology, Nextel is able to deliver powerful business
applications that improve our customers' operational efficiency and drive
incremental revenue," said Ernie Cormier, vice president, Business Solutions,
Nextel Communications.

"We have received more hits for our FOX Sports(TM) Football game from java.com
than any other site on the Web," said Alex Galvagni, CTO of wireless game
developer and publisher Sorrent. "It is clear to us that java.com has fast become
the favourite site of Java technology consumers in search of the newest, most
compelling Java content."

"java.com provides us with an excellent vehicle with which to reach consumers with
our free Piranha Pricecheck product," said Michael Powers, principal, mpowers LLC.
"With a Java technology-powered phone and our award- winning Piranha Pricecheck,
consumers can view the entire Amazon.com catalogue to find the best deal fast."

"Tira Wireless' NHL(R) PowerShot(TM) Hockey is a prime example of the high
entertainment value of the mobile games and applications featured on java.com,"
said Chris Erickson, CEO of Tira Wireless. "The association between java.com and
consumer brands such as the NHL has been a great way to increase consumer
awareness of how Java-enabled mobile phones are changing the way people live, work
and play. The substantial increase in traffic to
http://www.nhlpowershothockey.com/ proves the value of this association."

Usage metrics offer a convincing indicator of the site's success, with 18.8
million users initiating the free Java software download since the site's launch
in June. Visitors to the site to date have come from over 190 different countries.

Following is a sampling of content available on the site. For a full list, please
visit the site at http://www.java.com/

- Sony Pictures Mobile's Charlie's Angels(R): Road Cyclone, JEOPARDY!(R) and xXx:
Triple Threat
- Cocoasoft's Battle for Titan
- UbiSoft's Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell(TM)
- Activision's Tony Hawk's ProSkater(TM) 4
- Mforma's Top Gun(TM) Air Combat
- mpowers LLC's Piranha Pricecheck
- Sega's Fantasy Zone
- Sorrent's FOX Sports(TM) Football and FOX Sports(TM) Basketball
- Tira Wireless's NHL(R) PowerShot(TM) Hockey

About Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Since its inception in 1982, a singular vision -- "The Network Is The
Computer(TM)" -- has propelled Sun Microsystems, Inc.  to its position as a
leading provider of industrial-strength hardware, software and services that make
the Net work. Sun can be found in more than 100 countries and on the World Wide
Web at http://sun.com/ .

NOTE: Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, Java and The Network Is The Computer
are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United
States and other countries.
All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Contact: Doron Aronson of Sun Microsystems, Inc., +1-408-276-6021, or
[email-masked]; or Tom Baker of CHEN PR, Inc., +1-781-466-8282, ext. 47, or
[email-masked], for Sun.
Web site: http://sun.com/

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=109960

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/