Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Convergence

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:06:12 -0400

Convergence
By: John Patrick
Oct 16, 2003

Convergence as a technology concept has been around for decades. Many have
predicted the convergence of electronics and entertainment, of PC's and TV's, and
more recently of WiFi and cellular. All of these areas are in fact undergoing
various degrees of convergence but there is another area that many are not as
familiar with. It is called ENUM. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
issued a "request for comment" on ENUM (RFC 2916) in September 2000. Basically,
ENUM is a protocol that will make it possible to converge the Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN) and the Internet. In other words, a telephone number can
get you to a Web service -- telephone number in, URL out. The idea can be
extremely useful when you consider that most telephones are limited to twelve keys
on a keypad. Every try to enter your alphanumeric login ID and password to a web
site on a cell phone or Personal Digital Assistant? It is next to impossible! The
biggest impact of ENUM will probably be for Voice Over IP (VoIP). In fact, it
could be the tipping point. ENUM is a really big deal.

The ENUM protocol takes a complete international telephone number and "resolves"
it to a URL using a Domain Name System (DNS) architecture. DNS is what converts
www.whatever.com into a numeric address that gets you to the whatever Web site.
ENUM is sort of the reverse. The user puts a telephone numbers into the DNS and it
gets converted to a url and thereby provides access to a wide range of
applications -- based solely on a phone number. The most exciting application is a
streamlining of Voice over IP, in which telephone calls can be made over the
Internet. Imagine keying in a fax machine number on your Personal Digital
Assistant and a document from the PDA appearing on someone's fax machine or a call
to a Web service that locates someone and sends a message to their Instant
Messaging program if they are on-line or to their email inbox if they are not. The
possibilities are endless.

NeuStar, Inc., founded in 1996, is providing critical clearinghouse services to
enable communications networks to interoperate (converge). They are hoping to
become the industry's trusted neutral third party.  The heads of the Department of
Commerce's National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the Department of State's
International Communications and Information Policy expressed their support this
week for the idea of a private sector selection process to pick a company to begin
o provide ENUM services. This could enable ENUM to move from a theoretical idea to
the beginning of a very big and important thing.

Meanwhile, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), which specifies the
format, structure, and administrative hierarchy of telephone numbers, has come up
with E.164 which is an international telephone numbering plan . This is what will
be used in ENUM. A "fully qualified" E.164 number is designated by a country code,
an area or city code, and a phone number.

For example, a fully qualified E.164 number for the phone number 555-1234 in
Washington, DC (area code 202) in the United States (country code 1) would be
+1-202-555-1234. That telephone number is then translated into an Internet address
by removing the dashes and reversing the order of the digits. The domain
"e164.arpa" is appended to the end and so the end result of the translation is
4.3.2.1.5.5.5.2.0.2.1.e164.arpa. Simple enough, right? ENUM then issues a query on
4.3.2.1.5.5.5.2.0.2.1.e164.arpa and this in turn will lead to your bank or airline
or whatever Web service is represented by the phone number. It might also lead to
services which today go through traditional telephony networks including a voice
conversation over the Internet.

The reason for the reversed phone numbers (right to left) and dots is that that is
how DNS works. DNS was selected for use with ENUM because it's already there, it's
works, it's global, it scales, it's fast, and it's open. . When you type
www.ibm.com the first step in finding the numeric address of IBM is to look at the
.com domain, then to ibm, and then to the world wide web server. If you want to
take a deep dive on DNS structuring, take a look here. Fortunately, the user will
not have to do any of this manually. It will be done by the application (e.g., in
the web browser) or device (e.g., an Internet-enabled telephone) that supports
ENUM. The user simply dials a telephone number in the traditional manner.

There are many issues to be worked out and it will take time but the U.S.
government putting it's support behind the idea this week is an important step. We
used to call to order something. Today we type www.buyitnow.com. Tomorrow we might
be calling again -- but this time to a web server!

http://www.circleid.com/article/329_0_1_0_C/

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/