Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Labell seeks help to replace console

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:12:12 -0400

Granite State News
October 23, 2003
Labell seeks help to replace console
By CHERYL McCARRISTON

WOLFEBORO — Police Chief Richard Labell met with the board of selectmen Oct. 15 to
seek their help in expediting the replacement of the dispatch console at the
Public Safety Building.  “It’s an emergency,” said Labell, who doesn’t want to
wait until March to get voter approval to expend the monies in the capital reserve
fund established to purchase a new console.  He said the dispatch console
represents a “huge safety issue, it’s very old.” He said that, since 2000, the
manufacturer of the console has stopped making any replacement parts.  Labell said
that, on Sunday, Sept. 21, at 9 p.m., after a dispatcher toned out the fire
department, the console “froze up and locked up all communications for three
hours.” During that time, the dispatcher was unable to dispatch to police cruisers
or to the fire department. Labell said police had to use a cell phones to receive
service calls.

A representative from Ossipee Electronics came in that night and reset a module
“that got stuck.” Labell said if that module breaks, it will render the console
“useless.” He added that since Jan. 1 this year, the police department has been
billed for a total of $746.75 by Ossipee Electronics to fix problems with the
console.  Labell said there are other problems with the console as well. The APB1
button, (All Points Bulletin), that transmits to police and fire concurrently, is
broken. In addition, the general transmission button for the police department is
broken and works only 10 percent of the time for the fire department. He said
dispatchers have to use the foot pedal, and “When that goes, that’s it, no more
replacement parts.” Labell told selectmen he received a price of $150,088 for a
two-person dispatch console, which he said, “is preparing for the future including
busy weekends and holidays.” He said the state has a contract with Motorola, which
eliminates the bid process. He has since learned, with the state discount, the new
Motorola console could be completely installed for $143,984. He added that a
different system, other than Motorola, would not be compatible with the
department’s police radios and portable radios.
Selectman Larry Keniston questioned why the Chief wanted a digital console, versus
analog.

“Increased radio frequency, power and clarity,” said Labell, “and security of the
radio.” Keniston said that, although the state was going the route of digital
communications, he heard there were a lot of problems with it.

Under the recommendation of former Police Chief Stan Stevens, the capital reserve
fund for a replacement dispatch console was established in 1998 and currently has
a balance of approximately $135,000.  “I agree we need to do something,” said
Selectman Paul Hatch.

Selectmen Chairman Shirley Ganem told Labell, “It’s a legal question whether the
town can utilize the funds in the capital reserve fund without getting voter
approval in March.

Budget Committee member John Burt asked what shape the police budget is in, and
Labell said it is “under budget by $54,000.” He added this is largely because
Police Sergeant Dean Rondeau is actively serving as an Army major in Iraq.

Burt said, “As a member of the budget committee, I fully support this.” There was
some discussion that the remainder of the funds to purchase the console could come
from the police budget.
Selectmen voted unanimously to direct Town Manager Paul Skowron to consult with
Town Attorney Mark Puffer and the state Department of Revenue Administration about
the legality of using the capital reserve funds prior to a vote in March. If that
is not possible, selectmen want information about holding a special town meeting
to expedite the purchase of a dispatch console.
http://www.granitestatenews.com/102303labell.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/