Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell gives no hints on solving 800 MHz band interference

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:50:16 -0400

Powell gives no hints on solving 800 MHz band interference

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
Oct. 10, 2003 1:00 PM EST

WASHINGTON—If attendees at the Private Wireless Summit, sponsored by 
the Industrial Telecommunications Association, thought FCC Chairman 
Michael Powell would tip his hand as to how the Federal 
Communications Commission will solve the public-safety interference 
problem in the 800 MHz band, they were disappointed.
"Finding a workable solution is an absolute priority," said Powell, 
noting it was a complicated problem.

It was clear both during his remarks and speaking with reporters 
after that Powell had no intention of giving any clues as to which 
way the FCC is leaning in trying to solve the problem.

"You know how complicated this is. We are trying multiple variables 
and scenarios to try and understand what would happen, to try and 
understand what the consequences would be. At the end of the day, we 
will have to do what we think is best for the public. Nextel 
(Communications Inc.) and other companies will have to do what is 
best for them as private companies, but it is fair to say that we do 
take into account what we think the actions of various parties will 
be as a result of some of the judgements we make," said Powell.

Such guidance to the wireless industry as a whole would be helpful 
because signals coming from the chiefs of the Office of Engineering 
and Technology and the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau seem to 
differ, with OET on the technical side and the wireless bureau on 
the rebanding side.

While there are a variety of different options that could be used, 
there are two plans on the table.

ITA is one of the sponsors of the consensus plan. It would split the 
800 MHz band into two parts—one for cellularized systems and one for 
non-cellularized systems. It is also sponsored by Nextel, which 
would receive 10 megahertz of spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band and has 
offered to pay $850 million as part of the plan, and some public-
safety advocates.

The balanced-approach proposal, sponsored by the Cellular 
Telecommunications & Internet Association, and the United Telecom 
Council, calls for timely resolution of current interference at the 
expense of the interferer, coupled with technical rules, 
notification and coordination procedures to prevent new 
interference. 

Following Powell's appearance, a panel discussed the issue of 
interoperability where a theme emerged about the need for public-
safety agencies to cooperate before they can interoperate.

"One of the biggest challenges is the change to interoperability," 
said Lt. Eddie Reyes of the Alexandria, Va., Police Department. "Now 
we have to overcome the political obstacles and the stigmas. The 
police have never talked to the fire department, (and some have 
questioned) why they have to now." 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15428

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ArdFIC/hP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/