Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Army plans for satellites, knowledge site

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:07:42 -0400

Army plans for satellites, knowledge site
BY Frank Tiboni
Sept. 9, 2003

The Army is developing its defense plan for the future, and it will include
funding for a new commercial satellite communications program and Army Knowledge
Online (AKO), according to the service's top civilian information technology
official.
The service's 2005-2009 Program Objective Memorandum, due later this fall, will
budget for the new communications acquisition initiative because the Army buys
commercial satellite time ad hoc and warfighters increasingly need bandwidth. It
also includes a first-ever line item for the popular, 2-year-old AKO, said Dave
Borland, the Army's deputy chief information officer, speaking today at a Federal
Sources Inc. breakfast meeting. AKO is currently funded by money taken from other
areas.

"When requirements come along, we go find money," Borland said, adding that the
Army can better manage IT dollars by knowing where it spends them, he said.

The Army's 2005 tech budget is $5.7 billion, a 1.8 percent increase from its $5.6
billion in 2004. The Defense Department's 2005 tech budget is $28.2 billion, a 1.1
percent increase from its $27.9 billion in 2004, according to a Federal Sources
forecast.

Borland's Army memo admissions follow a departmentwide strategy in 2005 to better
communicate how it spends IT dollars. Under pressure to provide lawmakers with
better information on technology spending, the department will break its IT budget
into two categories: warfighting and business, Defense Department CIO John Stenbit
said in an Aug. 25 interview.

Department officials have a difficult time explaining and justifying how IT funds
are spent each year, according to a House Armed Services Committee report relea
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0908/web-army-09-09-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/