Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi to hit commercial viability in 2003

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:06:04 -0400

Wi-Fi to hit commercial viability in 2003
October 14 13:00:00, 2003

LONDON—This year represents a turning point for Wi-Fi technology, according to
recent research from Ovum.

During 2003, Wi-Fi has transitioned from being seen as a niche technology to a
commercial proposition for business and
consumer users. Wi-Fi initiatives from vendors like Cisco and Intel, as well as
wireless and wireline telecom operators,
provide evidence of this transition, according to Ovum.

Wi-Fi was met with some doubt during 2003, with naysayers questioning ROI
potential from hot-spot networks. Ovum
believes that as services mature and Wi-Fi devices are introduced in 2004, the
technology’s potential will be more clear.

Ovum expects further consolidation in the Wi-Fi infrastructure vendor space in
2004. The analyst firm also believes the
arrival of 802.11i for enhanced security and the 802.11e MAC enhancement for
multimedia will be crucial to the future
development of Wi-Fi.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15453

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/