Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC ADOPTS THIRD GENERATION (“3G”) RULES MAKING 90 MHz OF SPECTRUM AVAILABLE FOR BROADBAND AND ADVANCED WIRELESS SERVICES

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:22:53 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE      NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
October 16, 2003 Chelsea Fallon at (202) 418-7991

FCC ADOPTS THIRD GENERATION (“3G”) RULES MAKING 90 MHz OF SPECTRUM AVAILABLE FOR
BROADBAND AND ADVANCED WIRELESS SERVICES

Washington, D.C. – In a Report and Order (Order) adopted today, the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) advanced its efforts to provide new and existing
wireless operators with additional spectrum resources and issued rules that will
enable wireless providers to offer an array of innovative products and services,
including wireless broadband Internet access.

Today’s action provided service rules for the 1710-1755 MHz and 2110-2155 MHz
spectrum bands.  As determined by the FCC in November 2002, these bands can be
used to offer a variety of new and advanced wireless services, including voice,
data, and broadband services – popularly referred to as Third Generation, or “3G,”
services – using high-speed fixed and mobile networks.

The rules adopted today include provisions for application procedures, licensing,
technical operations, and competitive bidding.  This spectrum will be licensed by
geographic areas under the FCC’s flexible, market-oriented Part 27 rules, and will
be assigned by competitive bidding.  In order to accommodate the needs of a
variety of providers, including large carriers as well as small and rural
providers, the band plan for this spectrum includes a mixture of license sizes and
geographic areas.

The 1710-1755 MHz and 2110-2155 MHz spectrum will be licensed on the following
basis:

Block Total MHz Pairings Geographic Area

A 20 1710-1720 and 2110-2120 MHz Economic Area (EA)
B  20 1720-1730 and 2120-2130 MHz Regional Economic Area Group (REAG)
C  10 1730-1735 and 2130-2135 MHz REAG
D  10 1735-1740 and 2135-2140 MHz Cellular Market Area (CMA)
E  30 1740-1755 and 2140-2155 MHz REAG
Maps of EAs, REAGs, and CMAs can be found on the FCC’s website at
http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/data/maps.html.

In the Order adopted today, the FCC issued several other licensing and technical
rules.  The licenses for these bands will have an initial 15-year term with
10-year renewal terms.  Licensees will be required to show that they have provided
substantial service by the end of the license term; however, no interim
construction requirements have been imposed.  Licensees will be able to aggregate
spectrum in these bands and will be able to partition and disaggregate their
licenses.  The licenses will be assigned via auction in the future.  Fifteen
percent bidding credits will apply for entities meeting the definition of small
business used in the broadband PCS auctions, while 25 percent bidding credits will
apply for very small businesses.  In this Order, potential licensees are provided
information on incumbents in these bands who will be covered by clearance and
reimbursement rules.  The Order also establishes rules to protect co-channel and
adjacent channel Government and non-Government operations from interference.

The licensing plan adopted today will allow the marketplace, rather than the FCC,
to determine what services are ultimately offered using this spectrum and what
technologies are deployed to provide such services.  This licensing framework will
also ensure that this spectrum is used efficiently and will foster the development
of new and innovative technologies for consumers.  The decision brings the FCC
closer to achieving its goal of widespread availability of broadband services.
The greater availability of broadband services stimulates economic activity,
increases productivity, and improves education.  The FCC believes these objectives
can best be met by implementing a market-based approach to licensing spectrum that
provides greater certainty, minimal regulatory intervention, and greater benefits
for consumers.

Action by the Commission, October 16, 2003, by Report and Order (FCC 03-251).
Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Martin, and Adelstein, with Commissioner
Copps approving in part and concurring in part.  Separate statements issued by
Chairman Powell, Commissioners Copps, Martin, and Adelstein.

FCC Contact:  Eli Johnson, (202) 418-1395, email: [email-masked].

WT Docket No. 02-353

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-240030A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/