Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Advisory Committee on Diversity for Communications in the Digital Age holds Inaugural Meeting]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:11:16 -0400

Advisory Committee on Diversity for Communications in the Digital Age holds
Inaugural Meeting

October 1, 2003

Washington, D.C.

Yesterday, the Advisory Committee on Diversity for Communications in the Digital
Age held its Inaugural Meeting at FCC headquarters.  The Committee was formed over
the summer by Chairman Michael Powell to assist the FCC in formulating new ways to
create opportunities for minorities and women in the communications sector. 

“The Advisory Committee has an historic opportunity to advance the cause of
minority participation in communications companies,” said Chairman Powell.  “The
Committee members are an extraordinarily accomplished group of leaders with a
proven commitment to minority advancement.  I encourage them to bring bold and
creative solutions to this age old issue.” 

 During the meeting, Julia Johnson, the Advisory Committee’s Chair, announced four
subcommittees: Financial Issues, Transactional Transparency and Related Outreach,
Career Advancement, and New Technologies.

-- The Financial Issues subcommittee will assess current practices regarding
access to capital, and will be chaired by Andrew Barrett, Managing Director,
Barrett Group, Inc. 

-- The Transactional Transparency and Related Outreach Subcommittee will assess
current practices of how potential investment opportunities in telecommunications
industries are identified and how that information is disseminated, and will be
chaired by Steve Hillard, President, CEO, Council Tree Communications. 

-- The Career Advancement Subcommittee will assess current executive training
programs and other career development programs that target minorities and women in
the telecommunications industries, and will be chaired Jenny Alonzo, President,
National Association for Multiethnicity In Communications. 

- The New Technologies Subcommittee will assess what ownership and career
advancement opportunities are available in the new and emerging technologies, and
will be chaired by Roscoe Young II, CEO, KMC Telecom.

The mission of the Federal Advisory Committee on Diversity in the Digital Age is
to provide guidance to the Commission on policies and practices that could
increase the diversity of ownership and could create opportunities for minorities
and women to advance to managerial positions in the communications sector as well
as other related sectors of the economy.  Specifically, the Committee will make
reports and recommendations concerning the need for any guidelines, incentives,
regulations or other policy approaches to promote diversity of participation in
the communications sector.  The Committee will also develop a description of best
practices within the communications sector for promoting diversity of
participation.

The next full committee meeting is scheduled for January 26, 2004.

FCC contacts:  Jane Mago or Maureen McLaughlin at (202) 418-2030. 

- FCC -

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-239398A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/