Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SDR The Only Way Go- Cellular/PCS Leads and LMR Will follow.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:33:57 -0400

SDR The Only Way Go- Cellular/PCS Leads and LMR Will follow.
Software Radio GSM Network Trial Gets Under Way
BY SUSAN RUSH
OCTOBER 6, 2003

Looking to provide rural wireless carriers with a cheaper, more flexible network,
Vanu Inc. and Mid-Tex Cellular have deployed a trial of an all-software GSM base
station system.

For the trial, the companies have integrated Vanu's software radio technology with
Mid-Tex Cellular's 8,000-square-mile 800 MHz network. Unlike traditional GSM base
stations that are run by hardware radios, the trial is being conducted by using
software radio applications to run the network BTS and BSC. For the trial, the
network's BTS and BSC are each a Vanu Software Radio application running on HP
ProLiant servers. To round out the solutions are the ADC Digivance system and
TELOS Sonata SE softswitch.

The companies say the integrated solution will not only enable rural carriers to
deploy new services more cost-effectively, but will open up more roaming agreement
possibilities.

The test, which the companies say is the first of its kind to be deployed in a
commercial setting, is slated to run through the end of the year.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=6&pubdate=10/06/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/