Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [justnetnews] October 2, 2003 - NLECTC News Summary

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:42:27 -0400

NLECTC Law Enforcement & Corrections Technology News Summary
Thursday, October 2, 2003
***************************HEADLINES************************

"Cyber Cops Get Forensics Code" 

"Tapping Calls in Jail" 

"Cost to City for Security Camera Project Grows to $700,000" 

"Pushing the Envelope" 

"Read My Lips" 

"U.S. Readies Program To Track Visas" 

"Johns Hopkins APL Creates System To Detect Digital Video
Tampering" 

"Improving on DNA" 

"Pentagon Spy Office To Close" 

"We Are All Paparazzi Now" 

"Chiefs Want New Technology for Departments" 

"Toronto Police Service To Utilize Motorola Integrated
Identification System" 

"UK Government Tests Electronic Tagging" 

"Researchers Look for Ways To Protect Privacy of Electronic
Information" 

"Sweat Suits" 

"Computers Learn New ABCs" 

"LAPD Creates Risk Management System" 

"Central Ohio Agencies Implement Crime-Fighting Technology" 

"Ceramic Armor: The Bullet Stops Here" 

"SWAT Meets RoboCop" 

***************************ARTICLES*************************

"Cyber Cops Get Forensics Code" 
silicon.com (09/29/03) 

Britain's National Hi-Tech Crime Unit and the Association of
Chief Police Officers have developed new guidelines for
dealing with computer crime and electronic forensic
evidence. Police are instructed to change the evidence in
the main memory of a personal digital assistant as little as
possible. At crime scenes, officers are advised to switch
off the handset on mobile phones. The guidelines state that
law enforcement personnel should be solely involved in
sensitive investigations whenever possible, noting that
outside consulting witnesses are sometimes necessary. Former
Scotland Yard Computer Crime Squad officer Mark Morris notes
that police can unintentionally and easily damage the
chances for prosecution in a case by corrupting electronic
forensic data.
http://www.silicon.com/news/500007/1/6179.html

"Tapping Calls in Jail" 
New York Newsday (09/25/03) P. A6; Rayman, Graham 

The New York City Department of Correction wants the Board
of Correction to approve a plan that would allow correction
officers to monitor prisoners' phone calls without having to
secure a search warrant. Only legal calls and conversations
with investigative bodies would be excluded from the
program. However, lawyers and inmate advocates believe calls
to doctors, family members, and clergy should be private,
just like those made to attorneys. Legal Aid Society's
Prisoners' Rights Project director John Boston is also
concerned about the rights of the people being called. Given
that many area inmates are low-level offenders and search
warrants can be easily obtained, some experts believe the
program is an unnecessary waste of money. "There is no need
to adopt an over-reaching shotgun approach," remarks civil
rights attorney Norman Siegel. According to Department of
Correction representative Thomas Antenen, monitoring
programs, which aim to improve jail security, have been
implemented in a number of jurisdictions nationwide.
http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-nycall253468190sep25,0,7747961.story 

"Cost to City for Security Camera Project Grows to $700,000" 
Greenville News (SC) (09/29/03); Walton, E. Richard 

The city of Greenville, S.C., is using parking fees and
taxes on local businesses to help fund an anti-crime
initiative that will result in the installation of 101
security cameras throughout the city's downtown business
district. Authorities say that the cameras should help cut
down on automobile break-ins, purse snatching, and graffiti.
The cameras will record continuously so that police can view
the videotape when they believe a crime has been committed.
Some of the cameras have already been installed in the
city's parking garages and have helped catch people who
purposely broke the arms of parking toll booths so that they
would not have to pay a parking fee. All of the cameras are
expected to be in place by Oct. 10, just in time for the
start of the "Fall for Greenville" festival. The camera
initiative will cost the city $700,000, officials say.
Privacy advocates have criticized the camera project, but
some city residents appreciate the feeling of security that
the cameras provide. Resident Katherine Muller, who lived in
England for a year, says that security cameras are common in
Europe and help authorities there solve abductions, murders,
and other crimes.
http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/09/29/2003092915863.htm 

"Pushing the Envelope" 
Wall Street Journal (09/29/03) P. R6; Maher, Kris 

Michael Stapleton Associates is just one provider of bomb
detection and X-ray equipment for corporate mailrooms, but
the firm has seen its client base grow significantly since
the 2001 terrorist attacks. The company, which once supplied
bomb sniffing dogs and X-ray machines, now offers online
expertise from retired or active New York Police Department
bomb-squad technicians within 60 seconds or more. Also, the
anthrax mailings pointed out to corporations how vulnerable
their mailrooms were to attack leading to lost productivity
and possible loss of life. Financial services, insurance,
and pharmaceutical companies have improved their mailroom
security the most, opting for security assessments from
licensed firms, security equipment, and reconfigurations of
their mailrooms. Now mailroom workers must have ID badges,
wear gloves and smocks, and some have respirators at their
disposal in case of biological contamination. The terrorist
attacks and anthrax mailing have prompted the birth of
several new security firms that supply high-tech solutions
for biological agents, including ion beams to sanitize
medical supplies and food. http://online.wsj.com 

"Read My Lips" 
Wall Street Journal (09/29/03) P. R4; Hamilton, David P. 

Biometric identification techniques, which translate
fingerprints or iris patterns of eyes into electronic data,
are said to be the latest foolproof security technique for
corporations and the government. However, the expense of
scanners can be prohibitive for some companies, and the
number of false positives or errors can be causes for
concern. Unscrupulous people could easily lift fingerprints
from glasses and fool biometric scanners. Counterpane
Internet Security Inc.'s Bruce Schneier notes that once
biometric information is stolen, it is unlikely the true
owner will ever retrieve it. Experts also note that security
and privacy concerns also arise when security personnel
oversee databases of biometric information. A majority of
biometric scanners produce false positives in less than
perfect conditions, especially in public venues where
suspected terrorists could disguise themselves. However,
security experts point out that false identifications can
easily be remedied with further checks of separate
identification, including passports, drivers licenses, and
other data. http://online.wsj.com 

"U.S. Readies Program To Track Visas" 
Washington Post (09/29/03) P. E1; Reddy, Anitha 

In November, the Homeland Security Department intends to
release plans for the U.S. Visitor and Status Indication
Technology (U.S. VISIT) project, a system that seeks to keep
track of every foreign visa-holder in the United States. The
program, which analysts estimate will cost $3 billion to $10
billion, is designed to prevent criminals and terrorists
from securing visas. Three firms--Accenture, Computer
Sciences, and Lockheed Martin--will each organize a team of
companies to bid on the project. U.S. VISIT will involve
American consular officials fingerprinting and photographing
visa applicants in their home countries, and then checking
to see if they correlate with terrorist watch lists and
criminal databases; agents at border crossings
electronically scanning travelers' index fingers to verify
their purported identities; and a travel and visa database
automatically warning the government of visa expirations.
The system will scan only one out of five foreign travelers
to the United States, as most foreign visitors do not
require visas because they come from 27 nations determined
not to be a security risk. Experts warn that the system will
be unable to stop people who sneak past borders or
individuals sent by malevolent organizations with clean
histories. Other factors that may impede the deployment of
U.S. VISIT include difficulties in sharing information
across 19 separate networks and unwillingness on the part of
other governments to share their visitor files. "I think
it's safe to say for non-[Defense Department] programs this
is one of the largest efforts to integrate databases
together," notes Lockheed Martin's Dick Fogel. Civil rights
proponents are concerned that the system could be used to
monitor other groups besides foreign visitors and infringe
on Americans' privacy.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14287-2003Sep28.html 

"Johns Hopkins APL Creates System To Detect Digital Video
Tampering" 
JHU Applied Physics Laboratory (09/26/03) 

A Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
project for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service has yielded a
system that can detect attempts to alter digital video, a
breakthrough that could help allow reliable digital video to
be introduced as evidence in court cases. "Being able to
present a certifiable digital recording in court in support
of our investigative efforts will minimize court challenges
over the admissibility of such evidence," states Dennis
Jones of the Postal Inspection Service's Forensic and
Technical Services Division. Lead project engineer Nick
Beser says his team will build a working prototype of the
Digital Video Authenticator that can be plugged into a
commercial camcorder. The digital video captured by the
camcorder is concurrently written to digital tape and fed
into the authenticator, where it is split into individual
frames with three digital signatures--video, audio, and
camcorder/DVA control data--for each frame at the camcorder
frame rate. Distinct signatures for every frame are
generated through public-key cryptography, and APL project
manager Tom Duerr explains, "The keys, signature, and
original data are mathematically related in such a way that
if any one of the three is modified, the fact that a change
took place will be revealed in the verification process."
The system can detect added frames by their lack of a
signature, and altered original frames by discontinuities
between the signature and the new data. The signatures are
created with a private key that is deleted once the
recording is finished, while a public key is used for
confirmation and accountability is added via a second set of
keys that identify the postal inspector who made the
recording and are incorporated into a token that the
inspector uses to start taping; after the recording, the
signatures and signed public key are moved to a removable
repository and secured along with the original tape. The
authenticator can trigger an alert even if a single bit of a
120,000-byte video frame is altered.
http://www.jhuapl.edu/newscenter/pressreleases/2003/030926.htm 

"Improving on DNA" 
Arizona Republic (09/25/03) P. 1; Babcock, Brandon 

Improvements in technology have enabled the DNA lab of the
Mesa (Arizona) Police Department to eliminate suspects and
solve more cases. In July, the department's DNA unit helped
solve or contribute new clues to 14 cases, nearly triple its
average monthly rate. With advances in technology, DNA
analysts no longer need enough fluid to cover a fourth of a
dime to refine, duplicate, and detect its properties. DNA
analysts are now able to work with about one-fiftieth the
old amount of fluid, or just enough to cover the tip of a
pen, to use as evidence. "It used to be that if you had a
knife or something that was used, you were looking for the
victim on the blade," explains Gini Smart, head of the DNA
unit. "We're looking now for the suspect on the handle." The
DNA unit, like other local labs, uses the Combined DNA Index
System to update cases with State labs in Flagstaff, Tucson,
and Phoenix, and cross-reference samples from active
investigations in State and Federal databases. Crime lab
administrator Jon Kokanovich says matches result in
convictions, eliminations of suspects, and connections in
cases thought to be unrelated.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/mesa/articles/0925dnasuccessZ11.html 

"Pentagon Spy Office To Close" 
Associated Press (09/25/03) 

A joint congressional panel has elected to shut down the
Information Awareness Office of the Defense Advanced
Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which was developing the
controversial Terrorism Information Awareness (TIA) program.
TIA was a data-mining project designed to sift through
individuals' computerized transaction records to uncover
patterns that may indicate terrorist activity. Program
critics such as Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) called the
congressional decision a wise move. But although TIA itself
may be dead, the software tools under development could
still be used by other government agencies for the purpose
of gathering intelligence from foreigners both inside and
outside the United States, or from Americans stationed
abroad. The House and Senate negotiators also prohibited
DARPA from engaging in other TIA projects, including the
identification of people at a distance through the use of
radar or video images of their facial features or their
walk. TIA initiatives that DARPA is still permitted to
pursue include a project to accelerate bioterror attack
detection, development of software that can automatically
translate foreign documents and broadcasts, and creation of
wargaming software that can model terrorist attacks and
response strategies.
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,60588,00.html 

"We Are All Paparazzi Now" 
Salon.com (09/25/03); Mieszkowski, Katherine 

Publicly accessible webcams are proliferating throughout the
world more than 10,000 webcams according to a Carnegie
Mellon University survey this past September. Paul
Lancaster, an Arizona businessman who operates a publicly
accessible webcam focused on Heritage Square in Flagstaff,
Ariz., says webcams attract huge audiences because of
people's innate interest in watching others. The number of
publicly available webcams is dwarfed, however, by the
number of surveillance cameras deployed by private and
government entities nationwide--over 3 million cameras,
according to the Security Industry Association. Existing
wiretap laws make secretly recording public conversation
illegal, but no laws protect people's images recorded in
public places. But recently, a county sheriff in Phoenix,
Ariz., was ordered to stop webcasting images of female
inmates for commercial use via "jailcams." And
well-publicized facial recognition systems used by the Tampa
Police Department for the 2001 Super Bowl and in Boston's
Logan Airport have failed because of immature technology.
However, "The Transparent Society" author David Brin warns
that webcam technology will continue to improve at the pace
of Moore's Law, which states that computer processing power
doubles every 18 months. Although webcams inspire "Big
Brother" fears, some observers say a public, distributed
network of webcams could actually prevent government civil
liberty abuses. Electronic Privacy Information Center
executive director Marc Rotenberg says the real danger of
webcam networks, especially in the government sphere, is the
physical infrastructure, which cannot be removed as easily
as privacy-infringing legislation.
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/09/25/webcams/index.html 

"Chiefs Want New Technology for Departments" 
Worcester Telegram & Gazette (09/24/03) P. B1; Fortier, Bill 

Police and fire chiefs in the Auburn, Mass., area witnessed
the latest anti-terrorism technology Sept. 23 at L-3
Communication's Wolf Coach. While they stated they were
impressed with the work being conducted there--including the
upgrade of the State's Department of Fire Services incident
support division--the chiefs said that they were interested
in seeing more done to handle their daily and local
emergency challenges. Initiatives they wish to see include
communication improvements that would enable the chiefs to
speak with one another during emergencies via police
scanners instead of over the phone. Wolf Coach produces
emergency response equipment for law enforcement and public
safety groups; company executive vice president and director
of sales and marketing Richard F. Wolf noted that it would
cost around $200,000 to offer improved equipment for fire
officials to respond to emergencies. Auburn Police Chief
William E. Stone states that his town has made good use of
State-financed community policing grants that have paid for
boat and ATV patrols, among other initiatives. He hopes the
program's money will continue to be justly divided to small
area communities. Massachusetts Executive Secretary of
Public Safety Edward A. Flynn stressed that the state is
interested in offering the best equipment there is.
http://www.telegram.com 

"Toronto Police Service To Utilize Motorola Integrated
Identification System" 
PRNewswire (09/23/03) 

Motorola, Inc. has been awarded a contract to provide
Toronto Police Service with an integrated identification
network. The system, valued at approximately $3.1 million
USD, will include Motorola's Automated Fingerprint
Identification System (AFIS) and LiveScan technologies.
Motorola's Omnitrak AFIS/ Palmprint Identification System
will serve as the foundation for the system. Omnitrak
enables fast and accurate suspect identification, saving
agencies valuable time and resources. Omnitrak features
exceptional matching accuracy as well as continuous
automated operation. With the new system Toronto will be
able to seamlessly store, search, and match fingerprints and
palmprints. "We run a state-of-the-art identification
operation and therefore expect our technology to be leading
edge," says Ed Stewart, Director Toronto Police Service,
Forensic Identification Services. The system will also
feature Motorola's automated booking management system
designed to capture palmprints, slap impressions, and rolled
fingerprint images. Using the LSS 3000, Toronto will be able
to quickly and easily identify individuals via a rapid
fingerprint search against the Omnitrak AFIS database, as
well as other shared records repositories. In response to
increased law enforcement agency workloads, Motorola's
Omnitrak and LSS technologies allow system managers to
configure system operation by providing automated
(lights-out) processing of tenprints while highlighting only
a small percentage of tenprints that require manual
intervention. Lights-out processing saves agencies valuable
time and resources, helping agencies to solve more crimes in
less time. http://www.prnewswire.com 

"UK Government Tests Electronic Tagging" 
Electric News (09/22/03); Gleeson, Frances 

A British Member of Parliament and a number of prisoners
have agreed to test an electronic tagging system for
pedophiles, that uses electronic tags and Global Positioning
System (GPS) technology. Sky Guardian conceived the idea for
the system that includes a GPS device which attaches to the
ankle and connects wirelessly with a special mobile phone
that must be carried at all times by the wearer. The phone
is linked to a call center staffed by pedophile experts and
triggers an alarm if it becomes separated from the tagging
device. According to Sky Guardian, a wearer's location can
be pinpointed to within three meters by the system. Clive
Crosby, the company's managing director, says Sky Guardian
is negotiating with the U.K. government to launch a trial
that would involve between 100 and 500 pedophiles, with the
possibility of increasing that number to 5,000 child sex
offenders in two months. Sky Guardian wants to offer its
system to the Irish government, but Ireland's Minister for
Justice, Equality, and Law Reform, Michael McDowell, is
concerned about battery size and weight, signal
interference, costs, and location complexities relating to
the GPS system. Crosby noted that GPS works anywhere, with
the system storing information when its goes dead so it can
be downloaded later. In addition, GPS devices have shrunk
from the size of a football to the size of a cell phone.
http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9375842 

"Researchers Look for Ways To Protect Privacy of Electronic
Information" 
Stanford Report (09/30/03); Levy, Dawn 

Lawyers, technologists, policy proponents, and domain
specialists will collaborate in a National Science
Foundation (NSF) initiative the goal of which is to build an
infrastructure allowing sensitive personal data to be mined
by organizations while upholding individuals' privacy
rights, according to principal investigator Dan Boneh of
Stanford University. Yale University's Joan Feigenbaum
observes that government and business want to access more
information, while individuals desire the benefits of data
collection and analysis but not the drawbacks, such as
privacy infringement. "Use of transaction data and
surveillance data needs to be consistent with basic U.S.
constitutional structure and with basic social and business
norms," she explains. The project collaborators will meet
professionally and convene in workshops twice a year. They
also will consult with students and postdoctoral researchers
and work together on publications. Areas of concentration
for researchers include the development of tools that can
manage sensitive data in peer-to-peer networks, database
policy enforcement methodology, and next-generation
technology designed to deter identity theft, which Boneh
characterizes as "the fastest growing crime in the U.S. and
in the world." The NSF will allocate $12.5 million over 5
years to project participants Stanford, Yale, New York
University, the University of New Mexico, and the Stevens
Institute of Technology as part of the foundation's
Information Technology Research program. Also affiliated
with the project are the U.S. Secret Service, the Census
Bureau, IBM, Microsoft, the Department of Health and Human
Services, Citigroup, Hewlett-Packard, the Center for
Democracy and Technology, and the Electronic Privacy
Information Center.
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2003/october1/boneh-101.html 

"Sweat Suits" 
Police (09/03) Vol. 27, No. 9, P. 52; Douglas, Dave 

Requirements for the use of body armor varies from police
department to department, with some officers required to
wear it while on duty and others allowed to choose. Officers
who choose not to wear vests often complain that they are
too uncomfortable or hot, but manufacturers are trying to
make ballistic vests more comfortable while preserving their
protective capabilities. New advances in design and
chemistry are making it easier for manufacturers to find a
good balance between protection and comfort, and
combinations of fabrics and products in layers can provide
different kinds of protection. DuPont's Kevlar is the base
of the body armor business, and DuPont is still improving on
the substance thirty years after it was developed, asking
police departments for suggestions. Some ballistic fiber
makers have managed to laminate different weaves together
for better efficiency in flexibility, stopping power, and
blunt trauma mitigation. Teijin Twaron produces a laminated
aramid fiber product that uses Twaron microfilament fabrics
that are both strong and light and that can have a
fabric-like surface; Honeywell's Spectra fiber is also being
combined with other materials. Safariland's ZERO-G vest has
a shape that provides enhanced ballistic coverage and can
fit almost any body type. It offers greater movement and
Evaporative Cooling Zones to wick away moisture. Such
wicking technology is common, and is used by Under Armour in
its skin-tight under-vest shirt, while PACA Body Armor's
Armor Ice thermal management technology uses
temperature-seeking foam to keep users cooler.
http://www.policemag.com/t_cipick.cfm?rank=88965 

"Computers Learn New ABCs" 
Technology Review (09/03) Vol. 106, No. 7, P. 28; Erard,
Michael 

Linguists at the University of California at Berkeley are
working to encode almost 100 more scripts in the Unicode
Standard, which allows computers to render, process, and
send textual data in specific languages. The project "is an
effort to rectify an oft-overlooked aspect of the digital
divide: Many scripts used by languages of under five million
speakers in the world today are not represented in the
international standard," explains project leader Deborah
Anderson, who estimates that a decade will pass before the
initiative is complete. The more arcane writing systems,
such a N'Ko, Balinese, and Tifinagh, are not yet included in
the Unicode Standard, which has so far encoded 52 scripts.
The university is enlisting and financing linguists and
script users to help encode the 100 additional scripts.
These participants will ascertain the number of characters
contained in each script, develop fonts, and navigate
proposals through bureaucratic red tape. The Berkeley
project aims to make the Internet available all over the
world, but computer companies' support of the Unicode
Standard has diminished recently because users of unencoded
scripts comprise a very small market. Domain names can be
registered in these new scripts thanks to the efforts of the
World Wide Web Consortium. American national security
agencies' intelligence operations could also benefit from
the successful completion of the Unicode project, according
to National Virtual Translation Center director Everette
Jordan.
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/innovation10903.asp 

"LAPD Creates Risk Management System" 
Government Technology (09/03); Jones, Miriam 

The city of Los Angeles has agreed to develop a Training,
Evaluations, and Management System (TEAMS II) for the Los
Angeles Police Department (LAPD) under a consent decree with
the U.S. Department of Justice. The TEAMS II Development
Program includes Sierra Systems Group's Risk Management
Information System, which collects data from more than 12
LAPD operational systems and provides tools for analyzing
the resulting aggregated data, and the Use of Force System,
which uses advanced workflow technology to track all
occurrences of officer uses of force. TEAMS II is designed
to identify at-risk behavior and trigger early intervention
activities and notifications in order to promote best
policing practices.
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.phtml?channel=4&id=67620 

"Central Ohio Agencies Implement Crime-Fighting Technology" 
Government Technology (09/03); Jones, Miriam 

Grants provided through the Ohio Office of Criminal Justice
and the U.S. Department of Justice have allowed seven law
enforcement agencies in the State to begin using iLincs to
share information more efficiently across district lines.
The tool is a Web-based system that allows officers to
access and input information from stations, cruisers, mobile
phones, and personal data assistants. Officers will be able
to identify subjects, instantly issue reports on missing
persons, and use photos and fingerprints to enhance
interviews conducted in the field. The technology is offered
by the Armada Group, and supports visual and text-based
information transfers in real time, expediting
identification and response times to criminals and crimes.
The agencies adopting the technology include Dublin,
Grandview Heights, Powell, Westerville, Worthington, Upper
Arlington and the Ohio State University, which is funding
the program independently. "Effective technology plus timely
information equals officer safety," observes Westerville
Police Chief Michael Clancey. "This real-time informational
exchange between agencies also translates into safer
communities in central Ohio."
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.phtml?channel=&id=69814 

"Ceramic Armor: The Bullet Stops Here" 
Law Enforcement Technology (09/03) Vol. 30, No. 9, P. 126;
Brown, Dave 

Most officers who die in the line of duty are shot, and
according to FBI statistics from 1990 to 1999, 71 percent of
shooting deaths were due to handguns and 22 percent were due
to rifles and shotguns. Due to bulkiness, expense, and
weight of the product, few officers consider wearing "trauma
plate" inserts, even though the technology can significantly
reduce the chance of death in shooting incidents. The
Ceramic Protection Corporation's Ceramic Armor on Patrol
(CAP) program is developing a product dealing with these
issues. The CAP system is designed so officers can put the
trauma plates on in about 10 seconds, and it can protect
officers from most shoulder-fired weapons. The system is
molded to the human body, is one inch thick, and weighs
about 12 pounds. The system contains front and back ceramic
plates made of aluminum oxide or silicon carbide, and the
company ensures the design and manufacturing process is
correct by conducting numerous quality control checks
throughout the process. Misconceptions about the CAP system
are abundant, and a certified training course will clear up
any such myths about the product. Officers fear that the
system is prone to ricochets, but the product is designed to
absorb bullets. Officers are also prone to believe that the
system is broken after just one shot, but testers assert
that the vest can withstand up to six shots. Officers also
feel less protected against rifles, but testers ensure that
the product provides more protection from rifles than
traditional vests. Law enforcement departments believe
ceramic vests are expensive, but the CAP system costs less
than most traditional vests. http://www.law-enforcement.com 

"SWAT Meets RoboCop" 
Law Enforcement Technology (09/03) Vol. 30, No. 9, P. 120;
Page, Douglas 

The Law Enforcement/Corrections Tactical Uniform System
(LECTUS), which will use technology from the U.S. Army
Soldier Systems Center's National Protection Center, will
allow officers night vision capabilities, communication via
whispers, protection against bullets and other objects, a
view of scenes from remote team members, and protection from
noxious chemicals and smoke. LECTUS is stalled in the
development process due to lack of funding, but NASA and the
National Institute of Justice are supplying some funding for
the project, which is expected to be completed as early as
2005 if proper funding is secured. LECTUS is similar to gear
currently in combat field tests by soldiers in Afghanistan
and Iraq. Officers will communicate by whispering thanks to
a new technology that senses voice waves in the operator's
skull. The suit could also include a Global Positioning
Systems unit to provide precise location information, gel
sensors so that team leaders can monitor the physiology of
the team members, stab protection, a pistol holder, a
computer waist belt in order to operate a variety of custom
software, and highly protective boots and gloves.
http://www.law-enforcement.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/