Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Rain washes out Atlanta race

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:18:28 -0500

Rain washes out Atlanta race
Monte Dutton
Freedom News Service

Monte Dutton
Freedom News Service

HAMPTON, Ga. — Well, they got it started. The weather forecasts could hardly have
been less promising, but 39 laps of the MBNA 500 went off as scheduled before the
rain began to fall.

Once the rain started, however, it didn’t abate. NASCAR officials called the race
just before 6 p.m. on Sunday.
Although rain is also in the forecast for this morning, the race has been
rescheduled for an 11 a.m. start today.
The race will be resumed for the final 286 of 325 laps.The telecast has been
switched from network (NBC) to cable (TNT).

Wallace not making changes Despite a number of reports to the contrary, Rusty
Wallace said on Sunday that the job of crew chief Bill Wilburn is not endangered.

“He’s a great guy, and I think he’s done a great job for us,” said Wallace. “There
isn’t any change being considered.”
Recently Wallace has rallied a bit, putting him within range of a top-10 finish in
the Winston Cup points standings.

Plenty of room Denis McGlynn is the president of Dover International Speedway and
the CEO of the company that also owns several tracks – Nashville, Gateway (St.
Louis area) and Memphis, among them – seeking (soon to be) Nextel Cup events.
Not surprisingly, McGlynn told the St. Petersburg Times that he thinks there is
plenty of room for more races.

McGlynn envisions a day when NASCAR would host weekly midweek races in a
made-for-TV package similar to “Monday Night Football.” Such races would include
practice, qualifying and races on the same day.

“I don’t think it’s feasible, and based on the fact it’s not feasible, I don’t
think it will happen,” said Jack Roush in the same article. “I think the schedule
will be restricted or limited to the number of Sundays we can reasonably race in
North America, and that’s about 40.”
http://www.shelbystar.com/portal/ASP/article.asp?ID=7036

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vhSowB/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/