Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO APPLAUDS 9-1-1 LEGISLATION

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:43:49 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Robert Gurss
202.833.3800
[email-masked]

APCO APPLAUDS 9-1-1 LEGISLATION

October 2, 2003, Washington, DC -  The Association of Public-Safety
Communications Officials (APCO) International, Inc. is pleased that the
House Energy and Commerce Committee has approved HR 2898, the E9-1-1
Implementation Act of 2003.

"The bill will provide a critical source of funding to help state and local
governments implement technology to locate 9-1-1 emergency calls from
wireless telephones," APCO International President Vincent Stile said.

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations currently require
wireless telephone companies to implement technology to locate 9-1-1 calls.
However, state and local government emergency communications centers, known
as Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs), must also upgrade their
operations to receive and process that information.  Unfortunately, many
jurisdictions lack the resources to make those upgrades.

"The legislation moving through Congress would establish a modest, but
critical source of funding for this life saving technology," Stile said.

Importantly, such federal funds will not be available to states that divert
to other purposes 9-1-1 fees intended to support PSAP operations.

However, a letter from Theodore Kassinger, general counsel of the Department
of Commerce, and Rosalind Knapp, deputy general counsel of the Department of
Transportation noted the Administration's opposition to new grant money for
the purpose of the deployment of enhanced 9-1-1 (E9-1-1).

"We are disappointed that the Bush Administration has indicated its
opposition to this critical grant program," Stile said.

About APCO International
The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO)
International, Inc. is the world's oldest and largest not-for-profit
professional organization dedicated to the enhancement of public safety
communications.  With more than 16,000 members around the world, APCO
International exists to serve the people who manage, operate, maintain, and
supply the communications systems used to safeguard the lives and property
of citizens everywhere.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/