Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Radio firm may pull out after snub claim

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:20:39 -0400

Radio firm may pull out after snub claim
Tanya Giles
20oct03

AN international electronics company claims it is being snubbed by the Victorian
Government and has threatened
to take its business elsewhere. Tyco Electronics said it had been precluded from
submitting a proposal for a $264 million overhaul of Melbourne's emergency
services radio network, despite winning similar contracts in the United States.

In a letter of complaint to the Government and seen by the Herald Sun, Tyco
Electronics general manager David
Hammond said: "Although Tyco does substantial business and is a major employer in
Victoria, we are not welcome by the Government in this state."

The Bureau of Emergency Services Telecommunications has shortlisted three
companies for the Metropolitan
Mobile Radio project, a network to connect Victoria Police, Metropolitan Fire and
Emergency Services Board and
Metropolitan Ambulance Service.

The companies -- Motorola Australia, Telstra Corporation and TVNZ -- have until
the end of the month to submit
their detailed proposals.

Tyco Electronics Network business development manager Brian Irwin said the company
wanted to set up an assembly plant for radio systems in Melbourne to supply to the
Asia Pacific region.

Tyco would now consider setting up the plant in Brisbane or overseas. Mr Irwin
said this would mean a jobs loss for Victoria.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Justice said yesterday seven companies
provided expressions of interest
and all were judged on merit.

The spokeswoman said the four unsuccessful companies were invited for a debrief
with BEST, an offer which Tyco
Electronics did not respond to.

She said an independent audit found the process was fair and appropriate. Mr Irwin
said the company had no complaints about the bidding process, but the fact it had
been precluded. He found it difficult to believe the company's expression of
interest would not have complied with voluntary standards for public safety
digital radio.

Mr Irwin said its wholly owned subsidiary company M/A-COM was a participant with
the US-based body that set
the standards, the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials.

He could not understand why the company's bid was unsuccessful and claimed the
offer for a debriefing was set
for a time after the contract had been awarded.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,7608605%255E2862,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/