Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NII Holding's Subsidiary Nextel Mexico Named Latin America's 'Mobile Operator of the Year' by Pyramid Research

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:34:30 -0400

NII Holding's Subsidiary Nextel Mexico Named Latin America's 'Mobile Operator of
the Year' by Pyramid Research

Friday October 10, 7:00 am ET

Award Recognizes Excellence in the Areas of Innovation, Leadership
And Financial Management
RESTON, Va., Oct. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- NII Holdings' (Nasdaq: NIHD - News)
largest subsidiary, Nextel Mexico, has been recognized by Pyramid Research as the
"Mobile Operator of the Year" in Latin America. Pyramid Research is a worldwide
communications industry research firm and consulting service provider.

Nextel Mexico was selected among industry players that included America Movil, Oi
Brazil, Digitel -TIM Venezuela and Digicel Caribbean for:

* Leadership in the corporate customer segment by providing innovative products
and services
* Expansion of service coverage to key markets

* Agreement with Nextel Communications to provide cross-border Direct Connect
service between Mexico and the United States

* Ability to increase its client base generating higher income and an improvement
in financial status during a year of evident economic recession

"We are extremely proud of our Nextel Mexico team and are honored to be the
recipients of Pyramid's first ever Mobile Operator of the Year award," said Steve
Shindler, Chairman and CEO of NII Holdings." This recognition is a result of our
company's profound commitment to provide our customers in Latin American
innovative communications solutions that enable them to perform business more
efficiently."

"We are pleased to be recognized by Pyramid Research for this award and it is a
tribute to the effort that Nextel Mexico has made to maintain the solid growth of
the company both at a national and regional level," expressed Peter Foyo,
President of Nextel Mexico. "We remain committed to continue providing
high-quality products and services that meet the markets growing communications
needs," he concluded.
This is the first "Mobile Operator of the Year award" granted by the research
firm. The award was created to commend the best practices in the region based on
the following criteria:
Innovation:  How effective the company was in terms of service, innovative
products, marketing activities and technology.

Market standing:  How the company was able to increase its market share,
visibility and power through strategic agreements or alliances that jointly
strengthened its position in the market.
Financial performance:  How the company was able to strengthen its financial
status, improve income, profitability, EBITDA (Income before taxes, depreciation
and amortization) and EBITDA margin.

For more information on the study methodology, or the other companies considered
for the five
award categories, visit www.pyramidresearch.com
About NII Holdings, Inc.

NII Holdings, Inc., a publicly held company based in Reston, Va., is a leading
provider of mobile communications for business customers in Latin America. NII
Holdings, Inc. has operations in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and Peru, offering a
fully integrated wireless communications tool with digital cellular service,
text/numeric paging, wireless Internet access and Nextel Direct Connect®, a
digital two-way radio feature. NII Holdings, Inc. trades on the NASDAQ market
under the symbol NIHD. Visit the Company's website at http://www.nii.com.

Nextel, the Nextel logo, Nextel Online, Nextel Business Networks and Nextel Direct
Connect are trademarks and/or service marks of Nextel Communications, Inc.

NII Holdings, Inc.
10700 Parkridge Blvd., Suite 600
Reston, Va.  20191
(703) 390-5100
http://www.nii.com

Contacts:
Investor Relations:
Tim Perrott
(703) 390-5113
[email-masked]

Media Relations:
Claudia E. Restrepo
(786) 251-7020
[email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/