Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Mulls Over 800 MHz Swap

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:36:50 -0000

FCC Mulls Over 800 MHz Swap
By Mark Rockwell
October 10, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC is still mulling over the complex 800 MHz 
spectrum swap, although it appears to be getting closer to a decision, 
according to FCC Chairman Michael Powell.

In a brief speech this morning before the Industrial 
Telecommunications Association's private wireless summit, Powell said 
the commission "was working to find a workable solution in the near 
future" on the 800 MHz proceeding that would move private wireless 
users, emergency service communications and wireless carrier spectrum 
around in a complicated exchange of spectrum. "It's one of our top 
priorities."

The FCC is rumored to be close to issuing a decision soon. In remarks 
to the press after the speech, Powell reiterated that the commission 
was working hard to come to conclusions on the issue, but he offered 
no timetable for doing so.

In his speech, Powell did set a loose timetable on issuing a couple of 
other proceedings that the commission is interested in discussing with 
the industry. He noted that the FCC would begin a fact-finding 
proceeding on cognitive radio technology and possible use of an 
additional 255 MHz in the 2 GHz band for unlicensed use by the end of 
the year.

An aide to Powell said the cognitive radio proceeding would open in 
December, while the additional spectrum proceeding would open in 
November.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=127555&ve
rticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/