Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ARRL puts Virginia city on notice regarding BPL rollout

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:41:50 -0400

From: "ARRL Letter Mailing List"
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:24:52 -0400
Subject: The ARRL Letter, Vol 22, No 42

==============================

==>VIRGINIA BPL STARTUP SPARKS ARRL RESPONSE

The ARRL this week put officials in Manassas, Virginia, on notice that
the
League will act on behalf of its members to ensure full compliance with
FCC regulations when the city's Broadband over Power Line (BPL) system
starts up in a few months. The League was responding to media reports
that
Manassas--a Washington, DC, suburb--has approved plans for a citywide BPL
rollout. Manassas City Council reportedly voted unanimously October 16 to
grant a 10-year franchise to Prospect Street Broadband to expand a BPL
field trial and offer high-speed Internet service to the entire community
over municipal power lines. ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, on October 22
faxed Manassas Mayor Marvin L. Gillum to point out BPL's dark side--the
potential for RF interference from and to any BPL system.

"Your advisors no doubt have made the Council fully aware of the great
potential for radio interference from such a system," Sumner said. "In
particular, you are no doubt well aware that Title 47 CFR §15.5 requires
that no harmful interference is caused to any radiocommunication service,
and that the operator shall be required to cease operation upon
notification by a Federal Communications Commission representative that
the device is causing harmful interference." Sumner noted that the same
FCC Part 15 rule also provides no protection against interference from
the
operation of an authorized radio station.

"Tests conducted by ARRL technical personnel have shown that the system
planned to be deployed in Manassas causes harmful interference to the
Amateur Radio service," Sumner said. "We also have reason to believe that
the system will be susceptible to interference from normal amateur
station
operations."

An article in Potomac News.com touted the impending Manassas BPL rollout
as the first of its type in the US. Sumner said he was writing to alert
the City of Manassas "on behalf of its members who live in and use the
public thoroughfares of Manassas" that the ARRL "will ensure that there
is
full compliance with the FCC regulations" once the city's BPL system is
in
operation.

Prospect Street Broadband reportedly will offer the BPL service for
$29.95
a month. One estimate predicts the city stands to gain up to $4.5 million
over the 10-year life of the contract, due to be signed this week.

The Manassas BPL field trial is one of the smallest now under way and
involves fewer than a dozen homes and businesses. It was installed in an
area that has underground utility wiring and no Amateur Radio licensees
nearby.

BPL articles in major media have proliferated in recent weeks, many of
them painting the service in rosy hues and neglecting to point out the
potential for radio interference to and from BPL by other HF spectrum
occupants. An October 13 article in The Wall Street Journal, "A New
Outlet," by Walin Wong, quotes one trial user who calls the service
"fantastic." But Wong also notes that one "Achilles' heel" of BPL is that
serving rural areas would require installing costly repeaters every mile
or so along the power line. The article also deals with the reluctance on
the part of some electric utilities to embrace the technology.

Sumner also reacted to the WSJ article. In a letter to the editor not yet
published, he pointed out that BPL "amounts to sending a wideband radio
signal over unshielded wires that were not designed for the purpose" and
that do not work well for the 2 to 80 MHz signals common in BPL systems.
Instead, "they function as antennas," he said, and that can lead to
interference to radio services, including some involved with public
safety.

Sumner said potential broadband technology and delivery investors would
be
far better off considering fiber in densely populated areas and
adaptations of wireless LAN technology in rural areas.

Additional information on BPL and video clips from field trial sites are
on the ARRL "Power Line Communications (PLC) and Amateur Radio" page
<http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/>. To support the League's efforts
in the BPL fight, visit the ARRL's secure BPL Web site
<https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/bpl/>.

[NEXTEL-1 List members: Please copy any replies to posting list 
member Alan Dixon: [email-masked] <wpuc720[a]juno.com>]
==============================
The ARRL Letter is published Fridays, 50 times each year, 
by the American Radio Relay League
--225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111; 
tel 860-594-0200; fax 860-594-0259;
<http://www.arrl.org>. Jim Haynie, W5JBP, President.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in whole
or
in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be given
to
The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

==>Editorial questions or comments: Rick Lindquist, N1RL, <[email-masked]>

==>How to Get The ARRL Letter
The ARRL Letter is available to ARRL members free of charge directly from
ARRL HQ. To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your address for e-mail
delivery:
ARRL members first must register on the Members Only Web Site
<http://www.arrl.org/members/>.

The ARRL Letter also is available to all, free of charge, from these
sources:

* ARRLWeb <http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/>.
(NOTE: The ARRL Letter will be posted each 
Friday when it is distributed via e-mail.)

* The QTH.net listserver, thanks to volunteers from the Boston Amateur
Radio Club: Visit Mailing [email-masked]
<http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/letter-list>.
(NOTE: The ARRL cannot assist subscribers who 
receive The ARRL Letter via this listserver.)

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/