Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WCA urges FCC to settle strongest-signal controversy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:39:39 -0400

WCA urges FCC to settle strongest-signal controversy
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
October 08 13:29:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The Wireless Consumers Alliance Oct. 3 asked the Federal Communications
Commission to confirm that its 911 strongest-signal rules require an analog phone
to connect to a base station within 17 seconds rather than just assign a voice
channel as manufacturers have claimed in ongoing litigation.

“The court referred these questions to the FCC to resolve a dispute between
plaintiffs and defendants in the litigation.  Defendants in the litigation assert
that under the rules, the only thing their handsets are required to accomplish
within 17 seconds is the assignment of a voice channel. Plaintiffs in the
litigation contend, on the other hand, that what must be accomplished within 17
seconds under the rules is not merely the assignment of a voice channel but rather
the receipt of the call at the base station and its delivery to the landline
carrier,” said WCA.

WCA requests the commission to issue a declaratory ruling responding to the
questions in the court’s referral by Dec. 3, the date of the next scheduled status
conference in the litigation.

WCA filed several lawsuits late last year claiming that none of the 33 phones it
tested met the FCC's 911 strongest-signal rules adopted in 1999. Earlier this
year, all of the cases were consolidated with the Chicago suit. In September,
Judge John Grady of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
said the FCC must make clear exactly what is meant by the 17-second rule. When WCA
said that referring the issue to the FCC would only delay the litigation, Grady
said he expected the commission could easily clarify its decision. When the
manufacturers did not ask the FCC to answer Grady’s question, WCA stepped in.

The FCC gave the carriers and their manufacturer partners several options on how
to implement its 1999 strongest-signal rules. Under one option, the phone must
inform the caller that a 911 call has been placed by both an audible message and a
message on the phone screen, and the phone must connect to the preferred carrier
within 17 seconds or switch to the non-preferred carrier. All phones with an
analog mode were required to comply with this rule as of Feb. 13, 2000.

The FCC’s view on the 17-second rule was thrown into doubt earlier this year when
Nokia Corp. entered into a consent decree, and documents were referenced that
seemed to give a different interpretation.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15393

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/