Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobility Management for Large Private Wireless ATM Installations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:28:48 -0400

Todd M.,

Take a look at this document "Mobility Management for Large Private Wireless ATM
Installations" it makes some excellent points concerning ATM.

1. Introduction
The provision of high-end mobile multimedia services
(e.g., video-conference, video-on-demand, tele-presence)
for business environments has been lately an important
research area. The introduction of these services will
require technologies that efficiently combine broadband
data services with sufficiently guaranteed quality of
service (QoS), assured security and fair charging.

Moreover, the rapid growth of the cellular network market
necessitates the offering of these services in wireless and
mobile environments. The provision of these services is
currently pursued by both the “telecommunication world”
(i.e., GSM, UMTS, B-ISDN networks) and the “data
communication world" (i.e., IP networks, wireless LANs)
without having reached yet a standardized solution that
can satisfy all the requirements imposed by the users and
the services.

ATM was originally developed as the transport and
signaling technology to be used in B-ISDN networks.
Nowadays, it is clear that ATM can be used as the
transport technology for other networks as well (e.g., IP
traffic from real-time applications brings ATM to the
backbone, the UMTS access network is likely to be based
on ATM, AAL2 and AAL5). In other words, ATM can be
used as a beneficial transport technology and not
necessarily as the means for achieving only B-ISDN
services. ATM presents several advantages if used for the
provision of high-end mobile multimedia services. Firstly,
it can support QoS of real-time applications better than IP,
since IP is fundamentally "best effort" (even when
improved with protocols like RSVP). Many of the high -end
multimedia services are connection oriented by nature,
and thus very suitable to be run over a circuit switched
ATM network. Although ATM signaling presents
drawbacks when used for packet oriented services1, it is a
more mature technology for important issues such as
charging and security. Furthermore, ATM’s capability for
statistical multiplexing is a valuable characteristic for the
efficient use of network resources, especially in wireless
environments where the radio frequency spectrum is very
limited and multiplexing is required.
Laptop computers are suitable to be used as mobile
multimedia stations. The cost reduction of laptops has
augmented the requirements for the efficient use of
network resources since the users are able to communicate
through complex multimedia applications, even while they
are moving. Cellular mobile networks such as GSM, GPRS,
or UMTS can satisfy presently only a best effort QoS.
Furthermore, these networks will provide the individual
users with a bandwidth of less than a few hundred Kbps.
Adopting the ATM technology in mobile networks seems
promising, since several requirements can be efficiently
tackled. For this purpose, several new protocols have
been proposed for the management of mobile terminals in
wireless ATM installations. Mobility management mainly
refers to location management and handover protocols.
Location management includes all the required actions to
determine, whenever needed, the location of a Mobile
Terminal (MT) and route connections to it. More
specifically, location management consists of two
mechanisms. The first one is used for updating the
appropriate network components about the current
location of a MT, and is called location update. The
second one is executed by the network comp onents to
discover the exact location of a MT, and is called location
tracking. Based on this information the network
components can route the connections to the MT.
The handover protocol includes the required
functionality for switching the active connections of a MT
from one radio cell to another. In case of inter-switch
handovers (i.e., when a MT moves between the coverage
areas of two switches), an additional mechanism is
needed. This is used for selecting an appropriate switch,

Full document:

http://www.cnl.di.uoa.gr/publications/acmmc2r.pdf
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/