Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] M/A-Com to provide 800 MHz IP-based OpenSky system toCentral Arizona Project

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:26:44 -0500

Did they ever make the Pennsylvania system work?

Rik Rasmussen
radios4sale Yahoo Group Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radios4sale/

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:11:06 -0500
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] M/A-Com to provide 800 MHz IP-based OpenSky system
toCentral Arizona Project

M/A-COM Wins $5 Million Contract
to Provide 800 MHz Interoperable
Communications System for the
Central Arizona Project

OpenSky Network will Connect More
Than 400 Personnel Along 336 Mile
Aqueduct in Central and Southern Arizona
Lowell, MA.
 January 6, 2004

M/A-COM, Inc., a business unit of Tyco Electronics and a leading
manufacturer of critical radio systems deployed around the world, was
awarded a $5 million contract to provide a digital wireless communications
system for the Central Arizona Project (CAP) (See
http://www.cap-az.com//index.cfm).

M/A-COM will implement its OpenSky solution, a wireless private
communications network based on Internet Protocol (IP) technologies that
will connect more than 400 Central Arizona Project personnel and provide
direct interoperability between CAP and emergency, municipal and other
utility agencies. The OpenSky technology also will allow Central Arizona
Project to host four conversations on each of their existing radio channels,
substantially improving system capacity.

Central Arizona Project operates and maintains a 336 mile long aqueduct that
delivers water from the Colorado River to central and southern Arizona,
providing a renewable source of water for residential, industrial and
agricultural uses. M/A-COM is deploying an 800 MHz OpenSky digital wireless
network for integrated voice and data connectivity along the entire aqueduct
and along roads in the region. A key safety element of this digital wireless
system is the incorporation of GPS (Global Positioning System) into each
mobile radio.

"The Central Arizona Project is the largest source of renewable water supply
across central and southern Arizona," said Bruce Wilcox, Electronics
Department Manager of Central Arizona Project. "Safeguarding this
installation is critical for the well being of the state because it impacts
everything from farming and irrigation to safe and clean drinking water.
M/A-COM offered a network solution that will easily adapt to our current
communications systems. OpenSky's TDMA technology will give CAP additional
voice capacity and data capability while improving coverage in the more
rural areas of our service area, helping to ensure the safety of our
employees and the public."

Design and installation of the system has begun with full implementation to
be completed in the summer of 2004. In addition to ground communications,
M/A-COM's OpenSky IP network will provide interconnectivity with all of the
Project's helicopters, which operate on conventional VHF channels. This is
accomplished with M/A-COM's IP gateways, which establish permanent and
user-transparent links between different radio systems.

"We are honored to have been awarded such an important and critical project
for the state of Arizona," said Tom Hoyne, Director, Utility Markets for
M/A-COM, Inc. Capacity and interoperability were critical factors in CAP's
decision criteria and M/A-COM was selected because our solution best met
those requirements. M/A-COM offered a fully interoperable 800 MHz
communications network that will enable CAP personnel to tap into outside
public safety agencies and first responders in times of crisis."

About the OpenSky Network

The OpenSky system is a wireless private network that enables efficient
voice and data communications between municipal, utility and public safety
departments. The technology behind OpenSky - end-to-end Internet Protocol
(IP) and a time-division multiple access (TDMA) airlink - allows for
multiple features including:

  a.. Digital and analog radio interoperability with systems of any type,
including those not part of the OpenSky network
  b.. Enhanced data capability for quick exchange of data files, including
work orders and telemetry, with mobile and fixed devices
  c.. Efficient use of radio frequencies by allowing four simultaneous
conversations on each radio frequency channel
  d.. Integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) tracking capability for
increased safety
  e.. Remote software reconfiguration and easy upgrades

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://mail2web.com/ .

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/