Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PCTEL adds to Wi-Fi line with purchase of MAXRAD

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:36:18 -0500

PCTEL adds to Wi-Fi line with purchase of MAXRAD

January 6, 2004

BY HOWARD WOLINSKY
 Business Reporter

PCTEL, (See http://www.pctel.com/index.php) the Chicago wireless
communications technology company, has acquired MAXRAD,
(See http://www.maxrad.com/index.cgi)  a Hanover Park maker of antennas for
wireless systems, expanding its wireless product line.

"We're very excited about this acquisition," Chairman Martin Singer said of
the $20 million purchase. "This helps us expand in the wireless arena.
Everything we do now is wireless."

Singer said Monday there are no plans for layoffs at MAXRAD, which employs
about 90, most of them in Hanover Park. The acquisition doubles PCTEL's
staff. The new company has 115 employees in the Chicago area.

Steve Deppe, MAXRAD's president, will continue with PCTEL as a vice
president and general manager of the MAXRAD operation.

He said customers will benefit "from the enhanced synergies that come from
being part of a larger focused wireless organization."

Privately held MAXRAD is a major supplier of antennas to manufacturers of
wireless equipment, including Motor-ola's two-way radios for public safety
agencies, Cisco's routers, Trimble's Global Positioning System devices and
Proxim's Wi-Fi access points.

Germantown, Md.-based DTI, which PCTEL acquired last March, purchases MAXRAD
antennas for software-defined radios used by cellular phone companies to
test their systems and eliminate interference and by government agencies and
the military to find and block intruders on secure radio networks.

Singer noted MAXRAD has had significant growth in ant-ennas for Wi-Fi
devices, a major PCTEL focus.

He added that MAXRAD also was an attractive acquisition because "it has an
incredibly well-established distribution network, reaching markets of
interest to us," such as government agencies.

He said he expects the MAXRAD unit will generate about $20 million in sales
this year, adding to the $30 million estimated for the rest of PCTEL.

PCTEL last year exited the modem business to devote itself to emerging
wireless opportunities, especially Wi-Fi products.

PCTEL developed the Segue Roaming Client to help people using Wi-Fi to
seamlessly roam from one Wi-Fi network to another and to cellular networks.
Shares closed Monday at $11.06, up 36 cents, or 3.4 percent.

 http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-pctel06.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/