Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola gets license on tracking tech

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:31:53 -0500

Motorola gets license on tracking tech

By BRUCE MEYERSON
AP BUSINESS WRITER

Thursday, January 8, 2004

NEW YORK

Motorola Inc. is licensing wireless technology (See http://www.woz.com/)
from a startup led by Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak to develop
devices and services that can monitor the locations of people, pets or
important possessions.

The vague announcement, slated for release Thursday, does not call for the
development of any particular type of device or the addition of the
technology to specific products already made by Motorola such as cell
phones, pagers and walkie-talkies.

Still, the deal marks the first major technology endorsement for Wheels of
Zeus Inc., which hopes to parlay a combination of innovation and Wozniak's
cachet into success despite the existence of other devices that can track
the location of children, pets and Alzheimer's patients.

"We're trying to make new inroads and do something that has been done at
higher cost and bring it down to everyday prices," Wozniak said in an
interview with The Associated Press.

The wireless platform, dubbed "wOzNet" as a play on Wozniak's nickname, uses
a wireless tag that picks up signals from global positioning satellites,
then transmits that information up to several miles to a base station or
other receiving device using a low-power radio signal - the same spectrum
used by many cordless phones.

Motorola plans to use the technology within its home broadband division,
which makes cable TV boxes, modems and wireless networking products.

More specific product announcements could come later in 2004, both companies
said.

Potential product developments might include a standalone tracking device
and base station as well as integration within cell phones and other
portable devices, personal computers and future home networking systems.

Likewise, the wireless tracking is handled in different ways. One
possibility is direct communication between two devices.

"Let's say you're a parent, you have four kids, and as soon as they hit the
amusement park they run in four directions," said Vince Izzo, director of
business development in consumer solutions business for Motorola Broadband.
"You could set the thing to let you know if any of them is more than 50 feet
away from you."

Going a step further, if a parent wants to monitor an older child without
going to the amusement park, a cell phone company or the operators of the
park could track the child's location and transmit that information over the
Internet to a base station at home.

Wozniak said he personally prefers the notion of using a device and base
station designed specifically for tracking rather than incorporating the
technology in a cell phone and a home computer.

"I don't like the approach where the computer gets used for 10 different
things," he said. "If the thermostat is on the wall, leave it on the wall. I
don't like complicating your computer life."

He'd also rather have the tracking devices communicate directly rather than
through a service provider charging a fee. Between regular telephone
service, cellular, cable TV and Wi-Fi, "People are getting a little leery of
one more high-priced monthly service bill," Wozniak said.

Gina Clark, vice president of marketing and business development for Wheels
of Zeus, said the company continues to seek other partners in developing
uses for its technology, but that "our premier partner is clearly Motorola"
for consumer products.
\
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=news&start=0&num=1&q=http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-040108moto,1,1364685.story%3Fcoll%3Dchi-technology-hed

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/