Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 27 MHz wireless keyboard

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:21:49 -0500

I am, and I do.  One clue is that I know how to spell "Pop'Comm".

We are not then necessarily thinking of Part 15 unlicensed operation, but
rather a Part 95-Subpart C licensed-by-rule device, as you had rightly
inferred in your original message below.

And you have come closest to describing what I imagine is this
manufacturer's "compelling reason" for choosing 27 MHz.  In reference to
Part 15 devices, you had said "I would guess that it doesn't even have to
be approved by the FCC...making it quicker, cheaper, and easier to
manufacture."  Not so under Part 15 rules, but quite right under Part
95-Subpart C regulations.  The Radio Control Radio Service (R/C) is "for
the operation of devices at remote locations" (§95.201), and permits "any
appropriate non-voice emission" (§95.631(b)).

The clincher may be here that the FCC requires no equipment certification
at all for R/C devices operating in the 27 MHz band (§§95.603(b),
95.209(2))!  For whatever reason, the FCC has left this gigantic loophole
in its Part 95 regulations.  The now obvious point is of course the fact
that the certification process can be expensive, and definitely delays
production startup.  Admittedly, there may be some conflict as to whether
the R/C service is totally appropriate for a wireless keyboard (§95.212).
 However, Part 95 equipment manufacturers have been severely bending the
rules with impunity in recent years, and what could facilitate
rule-bending better than having no certification requirements with which
to specifically comply?

Only the designers of the device in question here can tell us exactly
what their reasoning was in choosing the 27 MHz band, but the foregoing
is my own personal take on the matter.

Thanks to all who decided to take a stab at my question!
Kind regards, Alan Dixon - Pop'Comm

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:43:57 -0500 "Ugly Person" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 21:09
> Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 27 MHz wireless keyboard
> 
> Okay, who can take a guess as to the *most compelling* reason that 
> a manufacturer would choose the 27 MHz band over other available 
> frequency bands??
>
> Kind regards,
> Alan Dixon
> Popular Communications
> 

If you're really from PopComm then you already KNOW the answer.
My guess is that it is (in the USA) a "Part 15" device which makes it
immune
to licensing but probably limits what frequency bands it can use.
I never analyzed before returning my mouse if it uses AM or FM but I
think
back to some more primitive communications modes my wife and I have
attempted. One was a rock bottom priced TOY walkie talkie pair. Using the
combined resources of frequency counter and scanner I learned that not
only
was it cheap, but it used AM mode on the 49 Mhz band.  While I have only
skimmed Part 15 and don't remember the details as it doesn't really apply
here I would guess that it doesn't even have to be approved by the FCC,
etc.
making it quicker, cheaper, and easier to manufacture. Is it something
like
that?

	<snip>

--------- Original Message ---------
From: "Ugly Person" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:33:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 27 MHz wireless keyboard
	<snip>
I wondered that myself.  Mind you, while the good old fashioned CB radio
operates on 27 Mhz, it OFTEN uses alternate channels.
EG. the optical mice operating in that band that I've evaluated  function
BETWEEN channels:

3 & 4
7 & 8
11 & 12
15 & 16
19 & 20

Channel 23 is also noted for use on remote control devices.  But for the
most part, especially Microsoft and Logitech, it uses the above channel
ranges.
That doesn't mean there's no interference of course and you never know
whether or not someone else will start controlling your mouse
accidentally
or otherwise.
I knew nothing about this myself until recently when I bought a wireless
mouse. I had to return it because despite the bold claim on the box, I
didn't learn until I opened and tried using it that it was NOT compatible
with my pre-XP operating system.  So now I have an optical mouse with a
cord.  Reliable? Now I can't help but wonder even if I did get it working
at
first.

-- 

________________________________________________________________
The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:22:19 -0600

[email-masked] wrote:

>Admittedly, there may be some conflict as to whether
>the R/C service is totally appropriate for a wireless keyboard 
>
What could be more fitting of the term "remote control" than controlling 
your computer from a wireless keyboard?

The same R/C devices are often offered in 72 Mhz as well - does 72 MHz 
fall under the same rules as the 27 Mhz devices?

-rick

 
Yahoo! Groups Links