Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wired News- Dave Bayer ([email-masked])- On Motorola Pushes 'Push to Talk'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:46:00 -0500

Wired News-
Rants & Raves

Date: 02/11/2004 11:02 PM
Name: Dave Bayer ([email-masked])
Subject: Motorola Pushes 'Push to Talk'

I've long thought that calling any feature that connects two phones a continent
away a walkie-talkie is a scam; I've long feared that
Nextel has trademarked a technological lie ("Motorola Pushes 'Push to Talk',"
Feb. 11, 2004). My girlfriend is a phone geek for
AT&T, and claims the feature is a matter of degree, the speed at which an
in-network call can be switched, not a fundamentally new
technology. The phone can't be involved, unless you're talking about adding a
button for convenience -- you might as well be
discussing color. So I read your article with great interest, hoping it would
communicate to me some understanding of the technology.
Unfortunately, I learned nothing about how phones work, what "push to talk"
means, from the article. Does the author understand, or
did the author type in a press release? People read Wired News to learn.

http://www.wired.com/news/rants/0,2350,62267,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/