Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Parents Turn to GPS Phones to Protect Kids

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:19:14 -0500

Parents Turn to GPS Phones to Protect Kids

By Sade Baderinwa
(New York-WABC, February 23, 2004) — We have a new kind of cell phone to
tell you about
-- but this is not just another electronic gadget. This one could save
the life of a child. Your
child.

A cell phone with a global positioning system, or GPS. A phone tracker
-- so that
parents can know where their kids are.

Here's Sade Baderinwa.

Child abduction -- it's something we all know is possible because of the
countless
horrific stories we hear from others. The most recent, the abduction of
11-year-old Carli
Brucia, who's kidnapping was caught on video.

Rich Callaghan, Father: "It's a scary world we're living in today."

Driven by worries about his own children's safety, Rich Callahan is
resorting to
surveillance technology once used to track soldiers and now being used
in cell phones.
It's called GPS for global positioning system, which allows someone to
find your exact
location. Rich bought the phone for his 16-year-old son, Bryan.

Fran Monks, Advantel Customer Center: "Anywhere at any time at all you
can
designate exactly where your child is within the country."

Fran Monks who sells the gps phones says parents are just learing about
the technology
available. Nextel is one of many company's that offers the service. They
have a program
called uLocate, and all you have to do is download the software and
establish an area
around your home or your childs school called a "geofence." Everytime
the kid leaves
either place, parents get an automatic email alerting them.

Karen Callaghan, Mother: "If there was ever an emergency situation where
he was
somewhere where he couldn't reach us, we at least have this option to
locate him."

For bryan, if he's ever in trouble, all he has to do with his Nextel GPS
phone is call 911.
Once the call is placed, his location can be identified.

Bryan Callaghan, Son: "Even if I was being abducted knowing o.K. I'm not
where i'm supposed to be, my parents will know
where I am."

Rich Callaghan: "It's just a comfort to me personally."

But some people argue the comfort is threatening privacy. The trucking
industry has already begun using this technology to
ensure drivers are where they say they are. It has helped with
productivity and cutting overtime.

Sade Baderinwa: "Do you feel this is a violation of your privacy or is
it a violation that's really worth it?"
Bryan Callaghan: "I think if it's abused then I that would be a
violation of privacy. Because then your parents don't really trust
you at all."

For Bryan's parents this is not an issue of trust but an issue of
safety. A tracking device that could potentially rescue him from
the unexpected.

Nextel GPS Service: uLocate

AT&T Wireless, 'Find Friends'

More information on young people and mobile phones and services:
www.mobileyouth.org

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_022304_gpsphones.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/