Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Toledo Blade, OH - Monroe Co. radio loan to be $3.3M

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:53:22 -0500

Toledo Blade, OH -

Article published Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Monroe Co. radio loan to be $3.3M

MONROE - Monroe County commissioners agreed last night to take out a $3.3
million loan to fund their portion of a new $9.3 million emergency radio system
that eventually will link the county’s firefighters, law enforcement officers,
and emergency medical personnel.

The county received a $6 million grant in September from the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security to replace its 50-year-old communications system. It has until
this September to spend the money on a new system or forfeit the grant.

Monroe County Central Dispatch officials previously decided to use the money to
move onto the 800-mhz radio system operated statewide by the Michigan State
Police.

The estimated $9.3 million cost will pay to construct the towers and dispatching
systems necessary for the transfer as well as provide more than 900 free radios
to emergency personnel and local governments across the county.

Some local government officials have voiced concern that they may not be able to
afford the ongoing maintenance costs and replacement costs of the new radio
units, some of which can cost more than $3,500.

The state imposes a $200-per-radio "microphone" fee that it uses to maintain the
system, and those fees will be paid beginning next year by local units of
government.

Last night, the board voted unanimously to borrow $3.3 million from LaSalle Bank
to be repaid over a five-year term at an annual interest rate of 3.3 percent.

County officials have indicated they intend to ask voters in August to levy a $3
monthly surcharge on each residential, commercial, and industrial phone line in
Monroe County. The proceeds of the levy would be used to repay the loan.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040128/NEWS17/101280082
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/