Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push-to-talk phones work well, but get used to no privacy

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:37:24 -0500

Originally published February 19, 2004
Push-to-talk phones work well, but get used to no privacy

I should start with a confession. I've been an old fogey who has
complained for years about "push-to-talk" service on cellular
telephones.  It's annoying to be privy to someone else's conversation
when you only hear one side of it. It's doubly annoying to hear the
other person answer.

So despite the fun I had playing with a couple of Sprint PCS's new
push-to-talk cellular telephones recently, I do believe that they should
come with rules that when broken will send the abuser to a nonlethal
electric chair or similar form of painful punishment.

If you don't know what push-to-talk is, you've probably heard it. Nextel
Communications has offered the service exclusively for years until
Sprint, Verizon Wireless and Alltel Corp. decided it was time to
participate. A cellular telephone with push-to-talk is like a hot-shot,
long- distance walkie-talkie. When you want to talk, you push a button
on the side of the telephone. When the other person wants to talk, he or
she does the same. Meanwhile, each of you is on speaker phone - so you
don't need to hold the phone to the side of your head.

Hence, the problems for everyone nearby who isn't part of the
conversation.
The Sprint PCS cellular telephones that I tested were the Sanyo RL2000
($250) and the RL2500 ($280), both first-rate cellular telephones. The
RL2000 is a rugged telephone with rubber grip sides. The RL2500 is a
clam shell telephone that was preferred by several of the women I showed
it to over the RL2000. Each telephone is geared up for Sprint's Ready
Link service and push-to-talk will work only with telephones with that
service.

Both cellular telephones worked well in a regular mode or in the Ready
Link mode. Sprint PCS charges an extra $15 a month on your regular
monthly cellular-telephone plan for the Ready Link service without
Internet Access (with access it's $20 extra). And I think it's well
worth the extra fee.

One problem I have with cellular telephones, besides the spotty service,
is that I can never figure out where to hold a cell phone so that I can
get the speaker to my ear. Each one I test is different - and I find
myself raising or lowering the cell to hear what the person on the other
end of the wireless line is saying.

You never have that problem with push-to-talk telephones because of the
speaker.
But there are some rules for when to use the telephone. You shouldn't
use it in theaters or restaurants or other public places where you will
disturb other patrons.

Information: 888-253-1315 or www.sprintpcs.com.
- Kevin E. Washington

http://www.baltimoresun.com/technology/custom/pluggedin/bal-pl.hot19feb19,0,621188.story?coll=bal-pe-pluggedin

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/