Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FDA, Accenturelook at RFID for prescriptions

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:20:44 -0500

FDA, Accenturelook at RFID for prescriptions

02/19/04

By Brad Grimes,
Staff Writer

The Food and Drug Administration is eyeing
radio frequency identification technology (RFID) as a
means of tracking prescription drugs and preventing
the spread of counterfeit drugs, according to a report
issued yesterday.

The FDA said it expected RFID technology to be widespread in the
prescription drug supply chain within three years.

According to the report, Hamilton, Bermuda-based Accenture Ltd. will
lead "a
study of RFID involving manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers that
will
explore the use of RFID for tracking, tracing, recalls and theft of
selected
pharmaceuticals." Feasibility tests are set for this year.

"These technologies are becoming widely recognized as a powerful tool,"
said
Jamie Hintlian, a partner in Accenture's Health & Life Sciences
practice.
"The RFID initiative is groundbreaking in that it brings together
leading
companies across the pharmaceutical industry to not only design and
evaluate
ways to improve supply chain integrity and accuracy but, also to help
consumers receive authentic medicines."

Under the FDA's plan, pallets, cases or individual packages of
prescription
drugs would be assigned an electronic product code that would be stored
in
RFID tags. Those codes would act as an "electronic pedigree" that would
follow the products from manufacturer to pharmacist. Consumers would
then be
able to read the product's pedigree to ensure it was legitimate and
safe.

Accenture will explore ways that RFID tags can improve expiration date
management, lot and batch tracking, returns management processing,
shipping
and receiving accuracy and other areas of the prescription drug supply
chain.

"We plan to help participating companies accelerate the technology
learning
curve and to share our findings with the industry," said Lyle Ginsburg,
a
partner in Accenture's Products Operating Group.

The FDA report details several obstacles to the adoption of RFID. Among
them:

-- All stakeholders must embrace the technology in similar timeframes in
order to realize the full potential of RFID technology.

-- There needs to be standards and business rules for RFID adoption.

-- Technology providers must address database issues such as structure,
ownership, access and security.

-- There must be clarification of regulatory requirements pertaining to
the
use of RFID.

-- There needs to be a flexible RFID migration path that meets the needs
of
different stakeholders.

The FDA report describes various phased approaches to implementing RFID
technology, including starting with products identified as "high risk,"
and
combining RFID tags with two-dimensional bar codes.

"This report shows how to achieve modern, comprehensive security
protections
for our drug supply that can keep pace with the increasingly
sophisticated
threats we face," said FDA Commissioner Mark McClellan. "FDA will not
rest
until we have strong protections in each link in the drug supply chain."

http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/22784-1.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/