Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Base Station Scoops TETRA Association 'Most Innovative Solution' Award

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:42:35 -0500

Thursday 29 January 2004, 10:00 GMT
Thursday 29 January 2004

TECHNOLOGY
AWARD
BUSINESS
Motorola - CGISS, EMEA/MOTOROLA LTD

Motorola Base Station Scoops TETRA Association 'Most Innovative Solution' Award
COPENHAGEN, Denmark, January 29 /PRNewswire/ -- - Industry award confirms that
the small and power efficient base
station is changing the dynamics of TETRA deployment

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector
(CGISS) has won the annual TETRA
Association award for the 'Most Innovative TETRA Solution'. The award recognises
that the smart, ergonomic and
power-efficient Micro Base Transceiver Station (MBTS) is enabling TETRA
(TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) operators to swiftly
deploy reliable digital communication networks.

Helen Cheung, Manager, Dimetra Systems Marketing and Business Development at
Motorola, commented: "We are pleased
to have won the award. Motorola always endeavours to develop innovative
solutions to meet customer requirements, and the
MBTS was designed to meet the growing needs in the public safety market for
smaller cells and portable coverage. The MBTS supports the full range of
Motorola features including end-to-end encryption and is helping to accelerate
the TETRA roll-out across Europe".

Weighing just 70 kg, the MBTS is the industry's lightest dual-antenna, eight
channel TETRA base station. The light weight and small size of the MBTS means
faster and less obtrusive site installation which can help infrastructure
providers better address many of the usual barriers to site acquisitions, such
as planning permission.

The base station meets the growing need for reducing operating expenses through
greater power efficiency and lower maintenance costs. The MBTS is designed so
that warm air flows out from the top of the base station through a natural
convection chimney. With no need for fans or moving mechanical parts, the
station requires less maintenance and power.  Due to its small size, the MBTS,
which is enclosed in a cabinet, can easily be fitted into an outdoor enclosure
utilising an air-to-air temperature exchanger.
The MBTS base station transmits ten watts of power per carrier signal, which is
sufficient power for most TETRA base station sites. A duplexer in the base
station enables a duplexed transmit and receive function on the same antenna,
which further reduces the required number of antennas per site. The
energy-efficient design means that the maximum power needed to run a dual
antenna base station is only 330 watts. Consequently, it is possible to run the
MBTS from a main power supply, which means that no additional un-interruptible
power supply unit is needed.

About TETRA

TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA) is an open digital trunked radio standard
defined by the European Telecommunications
Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to meet the needs of the most demanding
professional mobile radio users.
Motorola has been awarded more than 117 TETRA contracts in more than 44
countries and is a founder member of the
TETRA Association

Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector

Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a
leading provider of integrated radio communications and information solutions,
with more than 65 years of experience in meeting the mission-critical
requirements of public safety, government and enterprise customers worldwide.
Winner of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for manufacturing, the
sector offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet growing public safety
and security needs, including: interoperable two-way radio communications
solutions; command and control solutions;
identification and tracking solutions; information management for criminal
justice and civil needs; and physical security and
monitoring solutions.

For more information please visit:
Motorola TETRA: www.motorola.com/tetra
TETRA MoU: www.tetramou.com
Motorola Internet Media Centre: www.motorola.com/mediacenter
Photography is available at:
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/list/0,,2-1,00.html

About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in wireless, broadband and
automotive communications technologies that help
make life smarter, safer, simpler, synchronised and fun. Sales in 2003 were
US$27.1 billion. Motorola creates innovative
technological solutions that benefit people at home, at work and on the move.
The company also is a progressive corporate
citizen dedicated to operating ethically, protecting the environment and
supporting the communities in which it does
business. For more information: www.motorola.com

About the TETRA MoU

The TETRA MoU Association (TETRA Memorandum of Understanding) was founded in
1994. In close co-operation with ETSI
(European Telecommunications Standards Institute) Project TETRA, it worked to
progress the adoption and knowledge of
TETRA, the only European digital open standard for trunked radio. With 325
contracts (1) now awarded in 55 countries
around the world, the original objective of the MoU has unquestionably been met.
Reflecting this global interest in TETRA, a
new meaning of the TETRA acronym was adopted in 1998 - TErrestrial Trunked
RAdio.
1. Contract analysis is based on data supplied by members as of September 2003

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/