Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Wireless Adamant On Nextel "SCAM PLAN" Windfall

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:18:02 -0500

Verizon Wireless Adamant On Nextel  "SCAM PLAN" Windfall
BY MARK ROCKWELL
FEBRUARY 12, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Verizon Wireless, waving a new study it commissioned from Kane
Reece Associates Inc., reiterated its arguments to the FCC that Nextel would get
a $7.2 billion windfall if the Nextel-proposed 800 MHz spectrum swap is adopted
by the agency.
The study is the second done by Kane Reece for Verizon Wireless alleging Nextel
will get a substantial windfall under the plan. Last fall, Nextel challenged the
first Kane Reece study as inaccurate. Kane Reece's new study backs those initial
claims. Verizon Wireless sponsors a rival 800 MHz plan under consideration at
the commission.

"A portion of the windfall that Nextel would enjoy under the Consensus Plan can
be attributed to the 'new' spectrum that Nextel would receive at 1.9 GHz, and a
portion can be attributed to the improved (e.g. contiguous) spectrum in the 800
band." Kane Reece concludes that the improved spectrum that Nextel would receive
at 800 MHz would be worth an additional $2.3 billion to Nextel on top of what
the company's old spectrum would bring, says the current study.

Nextel's research done by Sun Fire Group last year, says Kane Reece, estimated
the "consensus plan" would leave Nextel with spectrum assets worth almost $1
billion less than the spectrum it now holds. Kane Reece called that estimate
"simply not credible."
"Sun Fire wrongly equates the value of the non-contiguous, encumbered spectrum
Nextel proposes to return with the contiguous, clear spectrum that it would
receive" in Nextel's proposal to swap spectrum with emergency service providers,
says Kane Reece.
The FCC is in the final stages of considering how it will handle the
re-assignment of 800 MHz spectrum between wireless providers and emergency
responders. An FCC commissioner Kathleen Abernathy said this week a decision
could come from the agency by the end of this quarter, after two years of
consideration.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=02/12/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/