Subject: [NEXTEL-1] COMMISSION TO HOST DISCUSSION OF EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS AND THE DISABILITY COMMUNITY

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:45:04 -0500

DA 04-543
February 25, 2004

COMMISSION TO HOST DISCUSSION OF EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS AND THE
DISABILITY COMMUNITY

Meeting to Be Held March 25 at FCC Headquarters

Washington, D.C. - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will
convene disability organizations, service providers, government agencies
and other stakeholders on March 25, 2004, for a day-long summit to
discuss “Emergency Communications and Homeland Security -- Working with
the Disability Community.”  The summit will focus on identifying
communications barriers faced by people with disabilities during
national emergencies or terrorist attacks and developing strategies for
resolving them where possible.

The summit fulfills one of the action items identified on the FCC’s
Homeland Security Action Plan, announced by FCC Chairman Michael K.
Powell on July 10, 2003.  Chairman Powell has been invited to address
summit attendees and highlight the importance of promoting access to
effective communications services by all Americans, particularly in
emergency situations.

The event is open to the public and will be held at FCC headquarters,
445 12th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. starting at 9:00 a.m. and ending
at 5:00 p.m.   Further details regarding this event will be announced in
the near future.

Open captioning will be provided for this event.  Other reasonable
accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon request.
Please include a description of the accommodation needed, providing as
much detail as you can, as well as contact information in case
additional information is needed.  Please make your request as early as
possible, and allow at least five days advance notice.  Last minute
requests will be accepted, but may be impossible to fulfill.  Please
send a request by e-mail to [email-masked], or call the Consumer &
Governmental Affairs Bureau:

For sign language interpreters, CART, and other reasonable
accommodations, 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (TTY);

For accessible format materials (Braille, large print, electronic files,
and audio format), 202-418-0531 (voice), 202-418-7365 (TTY).

Additional information concerning this meeting may be obtained from
Alice Elder, at (202) 418-2168 or [email-masked], Consumer &
Governmental Affairs Bureau, TTY 1-888-835-5322, or Janet Sievert, at
(202) 418-1362 or [email-masked], Consumer and Governmental
Affairs Bureau, TTY (202) 418-1398.

- FCC -
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-543A1.doc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/