Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL On BPL-

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:39:30 -0500

SEPARATE STATEMENT OF
CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL

Re: Carrier Current Systems, including Broadband over Power Line Systems
(ET Docket No. 03-104) & Amendment of Part 15 Regarding New Requirements
and Measurements for Access Broadband over Power Line  (ET Docket No.
04-37), Notice of Proposed Rule Making

Another broadband pipe is coming closer to reality.  Despite increasing
access to broadband services, significant areas of the country still
lack any type of broadband access or competition among broadband service
providers. The NPRM we adopt today takes an important step towards
promoting the deployment of a promising new technology – Broadband over
Power Line or BPL.  I have witnessed first-hand the potential of BPL to
provide a new platform for the deployment of high-speed access operating
under the Commission’s existing Part 15 rules.  Even today almost a
dozen companies are conducting field tests around the country.  BPL is
currently being studied and deployed in a number of these communities,
including in our own backyard in Manassas, Virginia.

Companies have struggled for years to make BPL a success and I am struck
by the recent advancements and hurdles that have been overcome to
provide enhanced services, more choices, and lower prices for our
Nation’s consumers.

BPL technology could also improve the provision and management of
electric power systems, homeland security, and protect vital elements of
our Nation’s critical infrastructure.  Moreover, BPL is being developed
worldwide, and encouraging the deployment of the technology in the U.S.
will promote continued U.S. leadership in broadband technology, and
bring important benefits to the American public.

I am confident that the proposals we adopt today balance the potential
benefits of BPL services and give careful consideration of the potential
interference from BPL operations by establishing new requirements that
will help minimize harmful interference that may occur and guidelines
for measurement of radio frequency (RF) emissions from carrier current
systems.

I am optimistic and welcome the day when every electrical outlet will
have the potential to offer high-speed broadband and a plethora of
high-tech applications to all Americans.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-243879A2.doc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/