Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport Enhances Security with Wireless Notification System from Nextel and Emergin

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:02:19 -0500

Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport Enhances  Security
with Wireless Notification System from Nextel and Emergin

High-Tech Writers / Business Editors CINCINNATI, BOCA RATON, Fla. &
RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 24, 2004

Wireless Solution Significantly Improves Response Times at Airport's 911
Command Center

Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport, one of the nation's
fastest-growing air travel hubs, has increased emergency preparedness,
safety and security efforts through deployment of a wireless
notification system from Emergin and Nextel Communications
(NASDAQ:NXTL). The Emergin Notification System, which operates on any
Nextel digital wireless phone, incorporates two-way text messaging and
mobile e-mail. The Nextel service also includes Direct Connect(TM)
instant walkie-talkie technology, which enables users to connect in less
than one second.

The notification system increases prior response times and allows
dispatchers to communicate immediately in critical situations such as
aircraft emergencies and fires, and enables contact with the
Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) across the airport during
security breaches. The system also supports routine communication for
maintenance or snow removal, creating a more efficient environment for
travelers while streamlining operations for airport personnel and
reducing non-emergency traffic on the airport's private radio system.

"Our primary objective is maintaining a safe, efficient and pleasant
environment for the travelers who count on the Cincinnati-Northern
Kentucky Airport," said Donna Cooper, computer systems administrator for
the Airport Police Department. "This wireless message management system
is a critical part of ensuring that we meet our goals and operate at
optimum levels in emergencies and everyday scenarios alike. Response
times and coordination are a top priority and the speed of this product
is a tremendous asset."

The Emergin Notification System allows users to extend desktop computers
to send data to any wireless network or mobile devices - numeric pager,
alphanumeric pagers, mobile or landline phone, PDA, Pocket PC, LED sign,
e-mail and/or instant messaging computer. It seamlessly integrates with
the Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP operating systems.

"For public safety personnel at the airport, push-button response is
critical," said Lieutenant Kevin Murphy, Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky
Airport Police. "This system gives us the flexibility to move throughout
the property, while still staying connected to one another and to the
dispatch center through our Nextel phones. We have seen this system work
in situations of varying urgency, and it has proven itself each time."

About Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport

The Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport is the 23rd
largest airport in the world and serves as Delta Airlines' 2nd largest
hub, the DHL North America Hub, and Comair Airlines' Headquarters. In
2003, the airport was rated number one in the U.S. by the International
Air Transport Association (IATA). The facility contributes over $3.5
billion to the local economy annually and is directly responsible for
the creation of 65,000 local jobs.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=NXTL:US&sid=a6MmwealEbLs

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:29:55 -0500

Nextel Moves In On ARINC's Airport Territory- Private v. Commercial Wireless

Looks like Nextel has now targeted Airports for their service. In 2001 ARINC announced that they
were going to deploy iDEN networks at 50 (+) airports across the U.S. Nextel's appears to be
targeting the same audience.

~From Nextel:

"The notification system increases prior response times and allows
dispatchers to communicate immediately in critical situations such as
aircraft emergencies and fires, and enables contact with the
Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) across the airport during
security breaches. The system also supports routine communication for
maintenance or snow removal, creating a more efficient environment for
travelers while streamlining operations for airport personnel and
reducing non-emergency traffic on the airport's private radio system."

~From ARINC:

"The service supports all airports mission-critical voice dispatch
and data operations, including airline ground operations, airport
operations, security services, airport vendors, and service
companies such as car rentals and transportation systems. AviNet
installations are currently planned for more than 50 major
domestic and international airports."

Both systems are described for use in "CRITICAL" Missions / Situations. Motorola NEVER designed
iDEN for this purpose.
The Emergin Notification System is a software overlay compatible with both ARINC and Nextel's
systems.
The critical question here is which system is best suited for  Mission Critical Situations?

   * Nextel Commercial Network?

   * ARINC Private Network?

   * NEITHER?

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:10:02 -0800

I also seem to recall ARINC is a supporter of Nextel's concensus plan.

But I may be wrong.....
Jack Daniel
=================================

Marcelrf wrote:
> Looks like Nextel has now targeted Airports for their service. In 2001
> ARINC announced that they were going to deploy iDEN networks at 50 (+)
> airports across the U.S. Nextel's appears to be targeting the same
> audience.
> 
> ~From Nextel:
> 
> Both systems are described for use in "CRITICAL" Missions /
> Situations. Motorola NEVER designed iDEN for this purpose.
> The Emergin Notification System is a software overlay compatible with
> both ARINC and Nextel's systems.
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
>    * To visit your group on the web, go to:
>    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>      Service.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:14:44 -0500

Yep, they are~

 
Yahoo! Groups Links