Subject: [NEXTEL-1] OpenSky Network will Connect More Than 400 Personnel Along 336 Mile Aqueduct in Central and Southern Arizona

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:48:38 -0500

OpenSky Network will Connect More Than 400 Personnel Along 336 Mile
Aqueduct in Central and Southern
Arizona

Lowell, MA, January 6, 2004– M/A-COM, Inc., a business unit of Tyco
Electronics and a leading manufacturer of
critical radio systems deployed around the world, was awarded a $5
million contract to provide a digital wireless
communications system for the Central Arizona Project (CAP). M/A-COM
will implement its OpenSky solution, a
wireless private communications network based on Internet Protocol (IP)
technologies that will connect more than 400
Central Arizona Project personnel and provide direct interoperability
between CAP and emergency, municipal and
other utility agencies. The OpenSky technology also will allow Central
Arizona Project to host four conversations on
each of their existing radio channels, substantially improving system
capacity.

Central Arizona Project operates and maintains a 336 mile long aqueduct
that delivers water from the Colorado River
to central and southern Arizona, providing a renewable source of water
for residential, industrial and agricultural uses.
M/A-COM is deploying an 800 MHz OpenSky digital wireless network for
integrated voice and data connectivity along
the entire aqueduct and along roads in the region. A key safety element
of this digital wireless system is the
incorporation of GPS (Global Positioning System) into each mobile radio.

“The Central Arizona Project is the largest source of renewable water
supply across central and southern Arizona,”
said Bruce Wilcox, Electronics Department Manager of Central Arizona
Project. “Safeguarding this installation is
critical for the well being of the state because it impacts everything
from farming and irrigation to safe and clean
drinking water. M/A-COM offered a network solution that will easily
adapt to our current communications systems.
OpenSky’s TDMA technology will give CAP additional voice capacity and
data capability while improving coverage in
the more rural areas of our service area, helping to ensure the safety
of our employees and the public.”

Design and installation of the system has begun with full implementation
to be completed in the summer of 2004. In
addition to ground communications, M/A-COM’s OpenSky IP network will
provide interconnectivity with all of the
Project’s helicopters, which operate on conventional VHF channels. This
is accomplished with M/A-COM’s IP
gateways, which establish permanent and user-transparent links between
different radio systems.

“We are honored to have been awarded such an important and critical
project for the state of Arizona,” said Tom
Hoyne, Director, Utility Markets for M/A-COM, Inc. “Capacity and
interoperability were critical factors in CAP’s
decision criteria and M/A-COM was selected because our solution best met
those requirements. M/A-COM offered a
fully interoperable 800 MHz communications network that will enable CAP
personnel to tap into outside public safety
agencies and first responders in times of crisis.”

About the OpenSky Network
The OpenSky system is a wireless private network that enables efficient
voice and data communications between
municipal, utility and public safety departments. The technology behind
OpenSky – end-to-end Internet Protocol (IP)
and a time-division multiple access (TDMA) airlink – allows for multiple
features including:
• Digital and analog radio interoperability with systems of any type,
including those not part of the OpenSky network

• Enhanced data capability for quick exchange of data files, including
work orders and telemetry, with mobile and fixed
devices

• Efficient use of radio frequencies by allowing four simultaneous
conversations on each radio frequency channel

• Integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) tracking capability for
increased safety

• Remote software reconfiguration and easy upgrades

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/