Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Orange Expects 1M PTT Users

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:50:22 -0500

Orange Expects 1M PTT Users
01.19.04

LONDON -- Orange expects to attract one million users to its push to talk (PTT)
service in the 12 months following launch, a very ambitious target for a new
service. KPN Mobile and 3 in the UK set similar one million-subscriber targets
when they launched i-mode and 3G services respectively, which proved to be
overly optimistic.

After months of rumours and speculation that major European operators were
conducting PTT trials, Orange has finally announced plans to commercially launch
the first PTT offering over GSM in the UK and France in Q2 2004 and across eight
other markets by the end of 2004. The tide is definitely turnimg in favour of
PTT so far as its prospects in Europe are concerned.  According to Devine
Kofiloto, Principal Analyst at EMC and author of a recently published EMC
Insight: Push To Talk , ‘Endorsement by a major European operator is a
significant boost for the service and if Europe is to mirror developments in the
US market, we should expect Vodafone and T-Mobile to announce their own service
offerings in the coming months.’

Branded ‘Talk Now’, Orange’s service is currently being trialled by selected
business users, with technology provided by Kodiak networks using the Treo 600
handset. EMC expects further handsets based on Symbian and Microsoft operating
systems are expected to be added to the portfolio later in Q2 2004.

Today’s PTT market is limited and confined primarily to iDEN and CDMA networks
but already has over 12 million subscribers. Howeverin 2003 Nokia, Siemens and
Ericsson launched a joint initiative to define specifications to create an open
standard for PTT over Cellular (PoC), thus extending the capability to GSM/
EDGE. GSM subscribers accounted for 71 % of global mobile subscribers at the end
of September 2003.

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=46059
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/