Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia, Samsung agree on push to talk license -Push-to-talk technology will debut in several Samsung mobile phones this year

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:35:55 -0500

Nokia, Samsung agree on push to talk license -Push-to-talk technology
will debut in several Samsung mobile phones this year

By John Blau, IDG News Service February 24, 2004

South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. has agreed to license
push-to-talk technology from Nokia Corp. in several mobile phones slated
for launch in 2004 and 2005, the companies said Monday at the 3GSM World
Congress in Cannes, France.Numerous mobile phone companies in Europe and
Asia plan to launch push-to-talk services this year, following the
success of the walkie talkie-type service pioneered by Nextel
Communications Inc. in the U.S.

With push-to-talk, customers can use their mobile phones like
walkie-talkies to communicate with a selected group or individual with
the push of a single button.

Nokia, which has already introduced two push-to-talk enabled mobile
phones, plans to include the feature in all of its GPRS (General Packet
Radio Service) and WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiplex Access)
handsets beginning in 2005.
The company expects push-to-talk to be a standard feature of mobile
phones similar to text messaging in the near future, said Tapio Heikkilä
[cq], director of business development at Nokia's network division

Under the deal announced in Cannes, Nokia will provide Samsung -- a
rival handset manufacturer -- with its push-to-talk technology as well
as interoperability testing.

Nokia's technology is based on an open specification that will provide a
smooth migration path to a push-to-talk standard expected to be approved
in August by the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) standards body, according to
the Espoo, Finland, manufacturer. More than 30 operators from around the
world are currently testing its technology, it said.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/24/HNnokiasamsung_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/