Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Philippines To Get PTT

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:46:33 -0500

Philippines To Get PTT-
Philippines rural coverage to improve

Nokia and the Philippines GSM network, Smart Communications have signed a
contract worth approximately US$117 million for Nokia to supply GSM/EDGE and
next-generation equipment for Smart's network rollout in the Philippines.
Smart's network rollout is aimed at increasing GSM network capacity to meet
increasing demand in rural areas, in addition to enhancing multimedia services
over an EDGE network.

"The enhancements of Smart's network will enable us to offer more powerful and
user-friendly wireless services to our subscribers. This will also help us
expand our network to more remote areas and to foray into new technologies,"
said Rolando Peña, Smart's head for network services division.

Nokia has been working with Smart since 1998, providing comprehensive services
for the operator's GSM/GPRS/EDGE infrastructure over this period.

The agreement also covers trial networks of new service-enabling solutions like
Push-to-Talk over Cellular (PoC), Presence, and the IP Multimedia Subsystems
(IMS).

In 2003, Smart and Nokia worked together in introducing the ConnectSite solution
that has significantly improved rollout time frames and lowered installation
costs for base stations, allowing Smart to provide telecommunication services in
remote areas.

Posted to the site on 27-Jan-04

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10495.shtml

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/