Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MoD chooses Nokia for its mobile security link

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:02:32 -0500

Borneo Bulletin, Brunei Darussalam - Feb 19, 2004
MoD chooses Nokia for its mobile security link
By Lyna Mohammad & James Kon

Guest of honour (C) witnesses Hj Harris Hj Omar and Lt Col Abidin
signing the contract on behalf of Arrisma and MoD respectively.

The radio communication network of Brunei's Ministry of Defence has
attained global standard with the official opening of the Nokia Tetra
system, marking the first professional mobile radio system for secure
communications in the country.
The system was officially launched yesterday by the Director of
Operations and Plan from the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Col (U) Hj
Zainal Hj Harun at the Officers Mess, Berakas Camp.

A signing of contract was held between MoD and Arrisma Engineering and
Technical Services (Nokia's Value Added Reseller).

It was inked by Lt Col Abidin Harris, Communication Information System
Staff Officer for MoD and Arrisma Managing Director, Hj Harris Hj Omar,
and witnessed by the chief guest.

The radio communication network of MoD in the country includes the fully
digital, highly scalable and reliable Nokia Tetra DXTip switching
platform, Nokia Tetra Base Stations for radio coverage, Tetra terminals
and the Nokia Dispatcher Solution for control rooms which are being
implemented by Nokia's Value Added Reseller Arrisma Engineering and
Technical Services in Brunei Darussalam.

Lt Col Hj Abidin Harris, in his welcoming speech, noted that the main
objective of the purchase of the system is to add the (communication)
effectiveness of relevant units such as Gurkha Reserve Units, Military
Police, Military Service Headquarters and individuals in MoD with plans
to widen the system in the future.

Tetra (which stands for Terrestrial Trunked Radio) has been defined and
approved by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI)
to be the only official European Standard for Digital Professional
Mobile Radio (PMR).
Accordingly, Tetra is a global standard for radio communication in the
same way that GSM is for mobile telephony.
A statement from Nokia Network Communication through the Business Wire
quoted Mikka Pokkinen, Nokia Marketing Director, as saying: "Our proven
and reliable Tetra system together with the latest Nokia THR880
handportables will provide the Ministry of Defence with an excellent
platform for radio communications for years to come."

He added that their strong market position as well as strong and
continuous investment in R&D makes Nokia a future-proof partner, and
also ensures further development of MoD's communications facilities as
Tetra evolves in the future.
The network also quoted an official from MoD stating their satisfaction
with both Arrisma Engineering and Nokia on the deployment of Tetra for
their strict security requirements, which is the strategic cornerstone
of their operations. The MoD is satisfied for having been provided with
a full turnkey solution.

Offering both the usual cellular services as well as professional radio
services such as group communication, field workforce management
services with dispatching and efficient date services, Tetra also
enhances the safety of classified information by using encryption of the
connection.

A purpose built technology offering major advantages over conventional
radio systems to public safety and security organisations, Tetra was
developed to meet the needs of the most demanding professional radio
users who need fast one-to-one and one-to-many radio communication using
voice and data in their daily work.
Public safety and security organisations such as police, fire and rescue
forces are typical users and Tetra fulfills needs of professional users,
replacing old analogue and proprietary radio communications systems that
no longer meet professional radio communication needs.

Arrisma Engineering is a locally owned company conducting supply,
designing, planning, installing, testing and servicing of
telecommunications and IT systems. In partnership with Nokia
Corporation, it is the only Nokia Tetra Value Added Reseller in the
country and with the turnkey capabilities, it is in the best position to
provide systems and support for various organisations in Brunei, quoted
the Nokia Networks Communications.

http://www.brunei-online.com/bb/fri/feb20h1.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/