Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Airwaves up for sale needed for Homeland Security

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:51:02 -0500

Airwaves up for sale needed for Homeland
Securityry.asp?s=1637520&ClientType=Print Printer Friendly Version

Airwaves up for sale needed for Homeland Security

New London -- The U.S. Coast Guard has it's hands full protecting America's
shoreline and the loss of some radio airwaves is not making their job any
easier.

Bill O'Boyle of Morran Shipping says that since Sept. 11th, shipping agents like
him are responsible for much more critical information for Homeland Security
purposes.

For years, the Coast Guard has been trying to improve the way information about
ships gets to government agencies and shipping agents who need it. One
improvement calls for the expansion of Automatic Identification Systems (AIS).
This updated system would automatically track ships and the system would contain
critical information about what is on those ships.

In 1998, the FCC sold the maritime frequency that would be used for AIS to
Maritel, a New Orleans based company, for $6.8 million. Coast Guard officials
objected to the original sale and now Maritel says the federal government can
buy back the frequency for $20 million.

A spokesperson for the Coast Guard said "the use of these marine frequencies is
critical to vessel traffic safety and homeland security."

The spokesperson added that the Coast Guard has been working closely with
Maritel Inc. in an attempt to resolve the issue and regrets not being able to
work out a resolution as of yet.

A lot of the ship to shore communication that happens currently is via e mail,
O'Boyle says getting back the frequencies may be costly but more efficient.

See Video:
Airwaves up for sale needed for Homeland Security

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=1637520
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/