Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Salem Observer, NH -Improving communication for fire fighters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:28:03 -0500

WINDHAM NEWS
Thursday, February 5, 2004
 Improving communication for fire fighters

 BY DARRELL HALEN >>>

 When a Windham fire truck is racing to an emergency, the
 siren and other noise from the truck makes it hard for the
 firefighters on board to hear radio communications.

 When Windham firefighters are using portable radios, they
 can&rsquo;t always communicate with their dispatcher.

 But a recently announced federal grant to Windham will soon
 help its fire department solve those dilemmas.

 &ldquo;(We&rsquo;re) pretty excited,&rdquo; said Fire Chief
 Don Messier. &ldquo;It will improve our
 communications.&rdquo;

 Messier said the $23,040 federal grant will provide 90 percent
 of the funding necessary to purchase four 4-person radio
 headsets and two mobile repeater systems. A town warrant
 article, on the March 9 ballot, asks voters to provide the
 town&rsquo;s $2,560 share, Messier said.

 The headsets will enable four firefighters to hear radio
 communications in the truck and allow them to communicate
 among themselves.

 The mobile repeat systems will boost the power of portable
 radios so that firefighters can speak to dispatchers.

 Messier, who applied for the grant last April, expects to
 receive the federal money next month.

 Windham&rsquo;s grant is part of $186,759 that will be
 awarded to six New Hampshire communities, Sen. John E.
 Sununu announced last week.

 &ldquo;This funding represents a commitment on the part of
 the Department of Homeland Security to providing local fire
 departments with the resources they need to perform their
 heroic duties day-in and day-out,&rdquo; Sununu said.

http://www.salemobserver.com/issues/2004/02/05/windham_01.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:43:41 -0500

Just as an FYI New Hampshire has recently been given a grant to outfit every piece of fire apparatus in the state w/digital capable (P-25) mobile and portable radios. Then eventually base radios and additional equipment. 

This is part of a State Police grant which earlier outfitted all NH communities w/digital capable equipment. This will allow "Complete Interoperability" between public safety agencies in New Hampshire. This is in addition to any other grants towns like Windham have received.

John Marcel/K1FDD
Concord, NH Fire Dispatch
NH Fire Academy Communications

 
Yahoo! Groups Links