Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Stamford police concerned on radio signal's reliability

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:30:39 -0600

Stamford police concerned on radio signal's reliability

(Stamford-WTNH, Feb. 16, 2004 6:00 PM)

Out on the road a police officer's radio communication system can be
their only life line but problems with the equipment have police
officers in Stamford now concerned about their own safety.

Patrol officers say they are not only concerned about being out of
touch during routine calls, but being completely disconnected in a
dangerous situations.

This is an age old problem in the Stamford Police Department. It is
something the union has been complaining about for the last several
years. They claim that the radio gear is outdated and the number of
dead zones is actually increasing.

It is not just the radios in the car. This affects the handheld radios
the officers carry.

The union is Stamford began a survey in December and they say already
40 officers have come forward with cases where they were disconnected.
They say it isn't just a problem of calling for backup, but if they are
trying to receive a call to go out on an emergency, they cannot hear
that one either.

"Officers are at risk, as well as the public. You know if the radios
are not working properly it will put a little stain on the officer's
safety out there," says Officer Guy Potolicchio, VP Stamford Police
Union.

News Channel 8 called the police chief and the mayor of Stamford, but
were unable to get in contact with them due to the holiday.

In published reports, the police chief has acknowledged the problem and
said they are working to see if the problem can be fixed or if the
system needs to be replaced.

--

"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"

Note The New address

Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"

Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"

The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.

Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

<SCRIPT language='JavaScript1.1' SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.22;abr=!ie;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;click=http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cmaatmm/M=274551.4550177.5718621.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1077120840/A=1994230/R=1/*;ord=1077034440521481?">
</SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>
<A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cmaatmm/M=274551.4550177.5718621.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1077120840/A=1994230/R=2/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.22;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1077034440521481?">
<IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.22;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1077034440521481?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 ALT="Click Here">Click Here</A>
</NOSCRIPT>

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.