Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US Unwired Hands Over Some Customers, Spectrum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:34:44 -0500

US Unwired Hands Over Some Customers, Spectrum
BY SUSAN RUSH
FEBRUARY 17, 2004

Its deal with AT&T Wireless is not the only news coming out of Cingular
Wireless.
The carrier has officially taken over 16,000 customers from US Unwired Inc.

The companies announced the $27.6 million deal at the end of October. The
all-cash deal gives Cingular access to 16,000 customers in Louisiana and
spectrum and operations in Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas. Specifically, Cingular
has taken over the Sprint PCS affiliate's cellular network in Lake Charles, La.,
as well as 10 MHz of its PCS spectrum in Alexandria and Shreveport, La.;
Longview and Paris, Texas; and Texarkana, Texas/Arkansas. Texarkana is the only
new market for Cingular.

To avoid service disruptions, Cingular began offering service to former US
Unwired on Feb. 7. As part of the deal, 50 US Unwired employees joined
Cingular's roster in Louisiana.

US Unwired had a busy last half of 2003. In July, the company filed a lawsuit
against Sprint claiming breach of fiduciary duty and fraud. At the end of last
week, a Louisiana judge ruled that Sprint's attempts to dismiss the case were
futile. The lawsuit is now gearing for a jury trial this fall. In December, the
company announced plans to sell 97 communications towers in Arkansas, Alabama,
Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana and Texas to AAT Communications Corp. for
roughly $10 million. At the time of that announcement, US Unwired said it
reached an agreement to sell its paging business as well.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=8&pubdate=02/17/04

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/