Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola's Zander Promotes Wireless Broadband, Push-To-Talk

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:39:35 -0500

Motorola's Zander Promotes Wireless Broadband,  Push-To-Talk
February 24, 2004 (10:58 a.m. EST)
By John Walko , CommsDesign.com

Cannes, France -- Ed Zander, Motorola Inc.'s new chairman and CEO,
promoted the
technical advantages of the company's high-speed downlink packet access
(HSDPA) technology as a means of expanding Motorola's role in the
European
wireless infrastructure sector.

During a briefing Tuesday (Feb. 24) at the 3GSM World Congress here,
Motorola
demonstrated what it said is a commercially ready mobile broadband
product being
evaluated by most of the continent's top network operators.

The demonstration is working at over 5Mbit/s and can provide sixteen 384
Kbit/s
channels for transmitting high- definition TV and good quality streaming
video over a
3G mobile network.

Ricky Watts, solutions marketing director for Motorola's Global Telecom
Solutions
Sector, told CommsDesign.com, "Because of the huge bandwidth it offers
for new
applications and services, almost all European operators are keenly
interested in
our HSDPA technology. On our 3G platforms, this promises to be
relatively simple
software upgrade for operators, unlike some other approaches being
followed."

However, Watts agreed it is early for HSDPA as handsets capable of
capturing these
high speeds will not start appearing until a least the middle of next
year.

Alternative broadband wireless companies such as Flarion, with its Flash
OFDM
technology, are also targeting the same operators and users with what is
seen as a
better approach to high-speed data over cellular.

According to Joe Barrett, director of marketing at Flarion in Europe and
the Middle
East, "Most major European operators are keenly interested in our radio
routers and
PC cards, and we anticipate at least one will announce a trial in the
near future."

Flarion is demonstrating its system's capabilities here.

In the U.S., Nextel Communications is already conducting trials of a
wireless
broadband service in the Raleigh-Durham , N.C., area using Flarion's
Flash OFDM
technology.

Motorola's Zander also said the company invented and has been supplying
another
networking technology that is attracting push-to-talk (PTT) technology.
Zander hinted
that many of the infrastructure and handset suppliers who are jumping on
the PTT
bandwagon, such as Siemens, Nokia and Ericsson, may have a ways to go to

match Motorola's solution.

At the show, Motorola announced it has licensed its IP standards based
cellular PTT
client software to several third party GPRS/GSM and UMTS handset
manufacturers
and software developers. The list includes Metrowerks and Magic 4.

Earlier this month, Motorola launched several handsets that can use the
PTT
system.

Zander also repeated the commitment made by Motorola executives here
last year
"to come back strongly in Europe for handsets. We are doing it. For
instance, we
have a great market share already here for UMTS phones."

The company also revealed that its has started delivering a trial Wi-Fi
system to the
Vatican's security services that will give it access to the police
security network
through Wi-Fi-enabled PDAs and laptops.

Motorola is providing the radio network, including wireless LAN access
points and
cards, the core network including routers, and the cabling.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040224S0003
--

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/