Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Altech wins R500m SAPS tender -Digital Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:33:47 -0500

Altech wins R500m SAPS tender -Digital Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA)

South African telecommunications, multi-media and information technology group
Altech's (ALT) subsidiary Alcom Systems has been awarded the South African
Police Service tender for the supply, delivery, installation, commissioning and
testing of a complete Digital Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA) communications
network system for Gauteng.
The contract, the largest radio communications contract ever awarded on the
African continent, is valued in excess of R500 million and will be allocated
over the three year period of the roll-out.

Alcom Systems, recently re-named Alcom Matomo, has a 30 year track record of
providing sophisticated integrated communications systems supplied by its
principal, Motorola, a world leader in the field of complex public safety radio
systems.

Last year Alcom Systems concluded a significant black empowerment deal which
involved the sale of 30% of its business to the Matomo ICT Group to form Alcom
Matomo.

In a statement released in Johannesburg, Altech CEO Craig Venter said he
applauded the South African Police Service (SAPS) and therefore the government's
decision to support a local company, as well as a "black empowered" company.

"The creation of employment, the development of skills and the promotion of
black empowerment will certainly benefit the overall South African economy," he
said.

However, he added, Alcom Matomo would never have been awarded the contract as a
local company had it not proved within the tender process that its sophisticated
technologies and capabilities were of the very best global standards.

"In awarding this tender to Alcom Matomo government has reinforced its
commitment to South African business and has sent yet another clear message that
local businesses should indeed fully embrace and support its empowerment
imperatives," said Venter.

He said he was confident that Alcom Matomo would fully meet the highest of
standards required by the contract. "The company recently successfully installed
a TETRA system for the City of Cape Town.

This multi-million rand project was the first TETRA public safety system in
Africa." Venter said the Motorola solution was also currently being deployed in
many countries, including a United Kingdom-wide system for the British police.
"Further proof of the technological excellence of this communications solution
is that Motorola was recently awarded the contract for the provision of a TETRA
system for the 2004 Olympic Games being held in Athens," he said.

"It's my belief that a single integrated communications system, such as the
digital TETRA system, is an imperative for all of South Africa's emergency
services," said Venter.

"The ability to communicate between the police, fire, ambulance and hospital
services is critical in times of major emergencies and disasters.

I believe this was aptly proved in the United Sates during the September 11
disaster when all emergency services and rescue operations were co-ordinated by
means of a single communications system.

I believe that if this had not been the case, many more lives would have been
lost."
The Executive Chairman of the Matomo Group, which has the 30% stake in Alcom
Matomo, Thozamile Botha, said the contract was the first of hopefully many more
for the partnership.

"This was the second major South African contract awarded for this advanced
digital communications technology and bodes well for a future where possibly
only one integrated communications system will be deployed to uplift emergency
service provision throughout South Africa."

He said the standardisation of private radio communication technology, using
TETRA, was critical to the future success of co-ordinated emergency services and
community safety throughout South Africa.

Botha added that he had always had the greatest of confidence in Alcom Matomo's
high level of engineering and integration strengths and that he was extremely
proud to be sharing in such a major contract together with the Altech group.

I-Net Bridge

http://www.bday.co.za/bday/content/direct/1,3523,1541656-6078-0,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/