Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City fire dept. gets federal grant

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:21:23 -0500

Coffeyville Journal, KS - Jan 30, 2004

City fire dept. gets federal grant

By:Allen Twitchell, Staff Writer January 29, 2004

Coffeyville firefighters will breathe a little easier (and safer) in the future
as the result of the latest grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland
Security.The local fire department was one of three in the state to receive
money as part of the 31st round in a series of grants issued on a weekly basis
to help bolster fire departments across the nation.Also gaining grant money in
Kansas were the Cherryvale Fire Department and Riley County Fire District No.
1.A good portion of the $45,297 awarded to Coffeyville will be used to install a
diesel exhaust removal system in the firehouse, said Fire Chief Greg Allen.

"Diesel exhaust is a proven carcinogen," Allen said today. "And, our garage is
so close to the living quarters that it creates a hazard for our firefighters
when the trucks are running. "This system will remove 98 percent of the diesel
exhaust from the air and let us meet NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)
codes." The money also will be used to purchase cardiovascular equipment and for
complete medical checkups and vaccinations for firefighters, Allen said.This is
the third large grant received by Coffeyville through the Department of Homeland
Security, said Allen, who applied for the money through the Federal Fire Act in
March.

Including several smaller grants, the total funding awarded is around $100,000,
Allen said.In Cherryvale, the money ($50,181) will be used to improve
communications, said Fire Chief Paul Newton. "We want to establish a better
working radio system for our department here, to be able to communicate with
mutual aid in a much better fashion," Newton said. "We have several area
departments that utilize different frequencies and different systems. "For
instance, we use VHF, but Coffeyville, the sheriff's office and the Cherryvale
Police Department all use UHF. We want to install equipment that will
incorporate VHF and UHF systems so there won't be a department in the area we
can't communicate with effectively." The latest round of grants, which total
$163,635 in Kansas, was announced Wednesday by U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback.The fund
distribution, which totals $750 million, is expected to continue through
September.

 http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10889963&BRD=1669&PAG=461&dept_id=156792&rfi=6

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/