Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC PROPOSES RULES FOR BROADBAND OVER POWER LINES TO PROMOTE BROADBAND SERVICE TO UNDERSERVED AREAS AND INCREASE COMPETITION

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:19:03 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE                                                                     News
Media Contact:
February 12,
2004
Lauren M. Van Wazer

(202) 418-0030

FCC PROPOSES RULES FOR BROADBAND OVER POWER LINES TO PROMOTE BROADBAND SERVICE
TO UNDERSERVED AREAS AND INCREASE COMPETITION

 Washington, DC - As part of its ongoing efforts to promote access to broadband
services for all Americans and to encourage new facilities-based broadband
platforms, the Federal Communications Commission today proposed changes to
certain technical rules that will foster broadband deployment using the
significantly untapped capabilities of the nation’s power grid, while
safeguarding existing services against harmful interference.

The Part 15 rule changes, proposed in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (Notice),
set forth procedures to measure the radiofrequency (RF) energy emitted by
equipment used to provide broadband service over power lines and establish
particularized interference mitigation requirements.  By facilitating access to
broadband over power lines (BPL), the Commission takes an important step toward
increasing the availability of broadband in rural and underserved areas because
power lines reach virtually every home and community in the country.  In areas
in which consumers already have broadband access, BPL enhances competition by
providing another broadband alternative.  These proposed changes will also
facilitate the ability of electric utilities to dynamically manage the power
grid itself, increasing network reliability.

Specifically, the Notice adopted by the Commission:

- proposes rules requiring BPL devices to employ adaptive interference
mitigation techniques to prevent harmful interference to existing users, such as
public safety and amateur radio operators.  These techniques would enable BPL
devices to cease operations altogether, dynamically reduce transmit power,
and/or avoid operating on specific frequencies to prevent harmful interference;

- proposes developing a public database that would include such information as
location, operational frequencies, and modulation type of BPL devices, which
will facilitate the resolution of interference issues in a timely fashion;

- seeks comment on specific RF measurement guidelines for BPL devices and other
carrier current systems.  These guidelines will ensure that emission
measurements for these systems are made in a consistent manner.  While the
Notice addresses RF measurement guidelines, it does not propose any changes to
existing applicable emission limits.

- more -
Notably, some electric utilities already use a lower speed version of BPL
technology to manage their internal networks.  Widespread deployment of BPL
devices will afford these same companies added benefits such as, remote power
outage notification, load management to reduce peak power usage, improved load
balancing, and remote meter reading capabilities.

 Action by the Commission, February 12, 2004, by Notice of Proposed Rule Making
(FCC 04-29).  Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Martin and Adelstein,
with Commissioner Copps approving in part and dissenting in part.  Separate
statements issued by Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin,
and Adelstein.

ET Docket No. 04-37

Office of Engineering Technology Contact: Anh T. Wride, 202-418-0577.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/