Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DARPA funds radio research

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:23:50 -0500

DARPA funds radio research
BY Matthew French
Feb. 11, 2004

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency today announced it has
begun its first phase of the Connectionless Network program, designed to
develop and field technologies to provide high-efficiency, low-power
radio communications.
The results, according to DARPA officials, are critical to developing
data transmission schemes that require very small amounts of power to
send meaningful bits of information on the battlefield.

DARPA awarded seven contracts totaling about $4 million to different
companies for participating in the program. Each contract is worth less
than $1 million.

The techniques and technologies include increasing the percentage of
data bits relative to total packet bits, lowering the power used by
radios to deliver these data bits and exploiting the fundamental
broadcast nature of radios to achieve multicasting.

The following contractors are participating:

BAE Systems Advanced Technology Inc., Washington, D.C. (contract value:
$891,483).
BBNT Solutions LLC, Cambridge, Mass. ($851,427).
GE Global Research, Niskayuna, N.Y. ($802,113).
General Dynamics Decision Systems, Scottsdale, Ariz. ($199,955).
HRL Laboratories LLC, Malibu, Calif. ($859,846).
Raytheon Co., Falls Church, Va. ($798,848).
Wescomm LLC, Ann Arbor, Mich. ($192,884).

During the program's initial 12-month phase, contractors will study
innovative technologies with a focus on "radical thinking, not simply
engineering solutions," according to a DARPA release.

The program plans follow-on phases and will solicit future industry
participation based on the successful completion of this first effort.

"As much of the world is shifting to an IP-centric approach for
communicating data digitally, we
realize the inherit inefficiencies that the IP headers create for
sending small amounts of data,"
said Preston Marshall, Connectionless Networks program manager, in a
statement
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0209/web-darpa-02-11-04.asp
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/