Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Chip To Prevent Dropped Calls?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:04:03 -0500

New Chip To Prevent Dropped Calls?

Contributed by mmasnick on Fri, Feb 13 2004
A semiconductor firm, Andiglog, is saying that their chip can help reduce
dropped calls in mobile phones. They're a bit (too) secretive on how it works,
but the basic idea seems to be that by better calibrating things, they can they
can make sure that power isn't wasted in trying to retain the cellular signal.
As with most such claims, it probably makes sense to withhold judgment until
there's some evidence of how well it works.

==========================================================================

Temperature sensor firm looks for UK distribution deal David Manners

The curse of cut-offs in mobile phone conversations is being addressed by
Silicon Valley fabless semiconductor company Andigilog.
Andigilog is leveraging its expertise in temperature sensors to introduce, next
week, a range of silicon thermistors, called SiMISTOR, which have a degree of
accuracy of plus or minus one degree Celsius. A UK distribution deal is expected
to be signed in Q2 2004.
The way in which SiMISTOR can address the bane of dropped cell-phone calls was
expalined to EW by Andigilog CEO Bill Sheppard, at the Globalpress Summit 2004
in Monterey this week.

"A certain amount of power is needed to lock the signal", said Sheppard, "and as
the phone heats up during use it can lose the power required to sustain the
lock."

Asked how Andigilog achieves the accuracy of its SiMISTOR, Sheppard replied:
"It's a proprietary secret, all I can say is that we have a way to precision
calibrate the product during the manufacturing process, between the front-end
and back-end stages."
Andigilog claims its device reduces component count, increases battery life and
improves performance.  It is targetting mobile hand-sets and lap tops first but,
in the second half of the year, will be seeking design wins in automotive and
industrial applications.
Sheppard, who was at Intel before it won the IBM PC design win for the x86
architecture, reckons the market for SiMISTOR is: "The most exctinig silicon
opprotunity of the last two decades."

http://www.electronicsweekly.co.uk/issue/dailyview.asp?vpath=/articles/2004/02/13/daily05.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/