Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Intel to unveil UWB platform

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:21:50 -0500

Intel to unveil UWB platform
February 19 13:27:00, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO—Intel Corp. has announced plans to unveil a platform for
the ultra-wideband wireless technology and joined an initiative with
other players to promote a common USB standard.

The chip bellwether said it is working with members of the multiband
OFDM Alliance to develop a standard UWB radio platform, which will
consist of the radio layer and convergence layer.

MBOA disagrees with the Motorola-led single-band initiative in defining
a UWB standard.

“As the convergence of computing, communications and consumer
electronics becomes more prevalent in people’s lives, there is a need
for high-speed, interoperable wireless communications between devices
that also bring the benefits of volume economics to users,” said Pat
Gelsinger, Intel vice president and chief technology officer.
UWB enables data transmission between electronic devices within a short
range.

Intel said it has worked with other companies to form the Wireless USB
Promoter Group to advance standards for high-speed interconnects for
multimedia consumer electronics, PC peripherals and mobile devices. The
companies include Agere Systems Inc., Hewlett-Packard Co., Microsoft
Corp., NEC Corp., Philips Semiconductors and Samsung Electronics.
The spec will be based on UWB radio efforts of the OBOA and WiMedia
Alliance, said Intel.

“The promoter group has already begun defining the wireless USB
specification with a targeted bandwidth of 480 Mbps that maintains the
same usage and architecture as wired USB Mbps as a high-speed
host-to-device connection,” said Intel.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16972

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/