Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TETRA TRASHING TV, VIEWERS FEAR

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:33:08 -0500

TETRA TRASHING TV, VIEWERS FEAR

Isle of Wight County Press, UK - Feb 12, 2004

By Richard Wright
MEMBERS of the public who claim their TV and radio reception has been affected
by the Tetra mast in the middle of Ryde have been urged to contact the
communications watchdog Ofcom.

The fact that the mast was operating on the top of the Commodore Cinema in the
town centre was first flagged up by John Street resident Stephen Dickins, who
said after suffering annoying interference that he had to buy new digital
radios.
Now residents of a block of Medina Housing Association flats have complained
that their TV pictures have been affected.
Pauline Simon, who said she had no alternative but to resign from Ryde Community
Forum and move from the Star Street block by worry over its closeness to the
mast, said: "TV reception remains dreadful.
"It is not as important an issue to me as it is to other residents but despite
visits by specialists, they have been unable to put it right.
"They say they have put all manner of filters in but it has made no difference
and recently we had no TV for four days. That is not vital to me but it is
extremely important to elderly residents who have little else to do all day but
watch TV."
A spokesman for Ofcom said: "We would ask people who are experiencing problems
with their reception to contact us and we will supply them with a detailed
questionnaire to establish the cause.
"If we were to believe there was a problem with the Tetra mast, we would
establish what it was and what needed to be done to make sure the operator
complied with the law not to affect broadcasting on other frequencies."

The company which rescued Ryde's cinema from closure has warned that a misguided
boycott by filmgoers could threaten its future.
The managing director of Reeltime, which runs the Commodore, said it was not to
blame for the Tetra mast on the roof, which has sparked anger in the community
and the boycott threat.
In a letter to the Ryde Community Forum, Michael Vickers said: "We are tenants
and only lease the cinema part of the Commodore building - and that excludes the
area housing the communication aerials.
"We have no control whatsoever over the aerials and masts on the roof of the
cinema.
"A boycott could put the whole operation of the cinema at risk. We are only just
starting to recover from the impact the multiplex cinema in Newport made on the
admission levels in Ryde."

Campaigners left the leader of the IW Council in no doubt that they want words
translated into action and for the local authority to pull the plug on O2's Ryde
Tetra mast. Cllr Shirley Smart received a 1,700-signature petition collected by
Ryde residents in just three weeks and said Tetra would be on the agenda of next
month's meeting of the authority's select committee with responsibility for
public protection.

Full reports, plus further stories on this topic in the Friday, February 13,
edition of the County Press.

 http://www.iwcp.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1252&ArticleID=738599
12 February 2004

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/