Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless exits possible for U.S. Visit

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:22:30 -0500

Wireless exits possible for U.S. Visit
Source: Newsbytes
Publication date: 2004-02-19

The Homeland Security Department is considering wireless technology for
the exit phase of the U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator
Technology program, a senior DHS official said today.

“We are looking at a wireless device to run the watch list” at exit
points, said Shonnie Lyons, Increment One manager for U.S. Visit. He
spoke at a lunch meeting sponsored by the Association for Federal
Information Resources Management.
DHS already is operating two exit kiosk pilots, one at

Baltimore-Washington International Airport and the other at a cruise
line port in Miami.
“One of the issues, we know, is that people won’t stop by” to use the
kiosk, Lyons said. For example, some travelers leaving the country
wouldn’t understand signs directing them to the exit kiosk.

“We are looking to a mobile device to be used at the [airport] gate or
security” checkpoint, Lyons said. “Once we select the preferred option,
we will deploy it in the December [2004] to January time frame over a
period of four to six months.”
Unisys Corp. now operates the exit kiosk pilots under its contract with
the Transportation Security Administration, but responsibility might
shift to the integrator chosen this summer for U.S. Visit, officials
said.

Other officials at the AFFIRM meeting said U.S. Visit is identifying
about three travelers on watch lists each day at airports and sea ports
nationwide. In contrast, during a pilot at John F. Kennedy International
Airport in New York last year, the system tagged about 10 travelers
daily.  James Jeffers, project manager for the U.S. Visit Coordination
Desk, said officials believe the bad guys have gotten the word that U.S.
Visit will catch them.

“We are trying to convince our oversight bodies that the reduction in
hits is not a systems problem,” U.S. Visit CIO Scott Hastings said.

Reported By Washington Technology,
http://www.washingtontechnology.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/