Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FBI 'DROWNING' IN INFO FROM BUGS, WIRETAPS

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:42:15 -0500

<http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm>

The Drudge Report

VOICES INSIDE THEIR HEADS: FBI 'DROWNING' IN INFO FROM BUGS, WIRETAPS
 Tue Feb 24 2004 08:48:10 ET

 Thanks to the bundle of anti-terrorism measures known as the USA
Patriot
Act, the FBI is conducting a "record amount" of electronic surveillance,
including the use of wiretaps and bugs, CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY reports
on
Tuesday.

 But the bureau can't keep up with all the information pouring in from
those and other sources, CQ's Justin Rood reports.

 "We have a record amount of collection going on," said FBI spokesman Ed
Cogswell in a telephone interview.

 The Justice Department's 2005 budget justification for the bureau backs
Cogswell up.

 "Electronic Surveillance (ELSUR) collection volumes are expected to
continue an upward trend for months and years ahead," the justification
for
the FBI reads.

 The document says the increases are the result of "statutory easements
to
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) authority (USA Patriot
Act), a
shift of FBI investigative resources to counterterrorism and
counterintelligence programs heavily dependant [sic] upon ELSUR
collection,
and incremental growth in available ELSUR line capacity."

 Electronic Surveillance - ELSUR - refers to telephone wiretaps, hidden
microphones, cameras placed in private areas, and other forms of
surreptitious interception of oral, written or electronic communication.

 The 2001 Patriot Act (PL 107-56) included provisions making it easier
for
the FBI to obtain permission to spy on individuals as a part of
counterterrorism investigations.

 "All systems are go," said Steven Aftergood, director of the Project on
Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/