Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Boosts Moto

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:16:12 -0500

Nextel Boosts Moto
02.20.04

Nextel Communications Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTL - message board) has revealed
plans to aggressively expand its network over the next twelve months --
investment that will play into the hands of infrastructure vendor
Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT - message board).

The U.S. carrier has outlined its intention to increase capital
expenditure to $2.2 billion in 2004, 29 percent above analysts'
estimates of $1.7 billion.

Speaking on a conference call for its 2003 financial results, executive
VP and COO Tom Kelly told of the carrier’s plan to increase the number
of base-station cell sites (see Nextel Ups Revenue). “We will expand the
Nextel National Network and broaden our reach by adding an additional
2,200 coverage sites.”

Such growth is nearly triple the forecast of 865 new sites expected by
UBS analysts.

Nextel is the fifth largest carrier by subscriber base in the U.S.,
boasting 12.3 million customers, according to Ovum Ltd.. Motorola is the
sole equipment supplier for its commercial iDEN service, with the
network generating 20 percent of the vendor’s total annual revenue.

Lehman Brothers analyst Blake Bath describes the investment as “a
positive sign for the U.S.  wireless infrastructure market in general
and for Motorola in particular... We view this increase as a sign of
healthy demand and are encouraged that capex is moving higher.”

Nextel’s bullish plans cap a week to remember for Motorola. The network
injection follows a $307 million contract windfall from Indian carriers
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (BSNL), MTNL, and Tata Teleservices Ltd. (see
Moto Wins in India).
The deals include deployments of both GSM (Global System for Mobile
communications) and CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) networks.
According to Lehman Brothers, the wins will help Motorola generate $4.6
billion in sales from its infrastructure unit this year.

Shares in Motorola were up 0.16 percent at press time, valued at $17.57
apiece.
— Justin Springham, Senior Editor, Europe, Unstrung

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=47941
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/