Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Medford, Oregon Deploys City-Wide Mobile Broadband Network From Meshnetworks

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:05:39 -0500

Medford, Oregon Deploys City-Wide Mobile Broadband Network From
Meshnetworks

MeshNetworks and Viasys Provide City
with Mobile Mesh Network for Homeland Security,
Public Safety, Public Works and Other Mobile City Workers

MAITLAND, FL
February 23, 2004

MeshNetworks, Inc., an industry leader in the development and
commercialization of mobile broadband networking solutions, announced
that
Medford, Oregon is currently deploying its MeshNetworks Enabled
Architecture
(MEAT) broadband solution to create the first mobile mesh network in
Oregon.
The 24 square mile municipal network will initially provide high-speed
data
communications to 100 city workers, including law enforcement, fire and
rescue, public works and building inspection agencies. City officials
forecast the system will quickly pay for itself by enabling gains in
personnel productivity. Systems integration, deployment, and project
management is provided by Viasys Services Inc., a MeshNetworks' Master
Value
Added Reseller.

"After looking at other wireless technologies, we found that
MeshNetworks'
system provided Medford with the interoperability, high speed data
rates,
and mobility needed to support our current and future law enforcement
applications," said Deputy Chief of Police Ron Norris. "This is an
example
of technology making a huge difference in the community, by improving
communications, efficiency, and safety for our officers - and the public
we
serve."

MeshNetworks' self-forming, self-healing wireless technology maximizes
network survivability, even in the face of natural disasters, physical
attacks and power outages. Patented technology creates a distributed web
of
connections across all devices in the network. In fact, every user acts
as
router/repeaters for every other user in the network. The result is a
robust
interconnected network that automatically routes around congestion,
failures
and line-of-sight obstacles.

The network will deliver DSL or cable modem-like data rates wirelessly
to
city workers, even while they are moving at highway speeds. Public
safety
and public works agencies will have anytime, anywhere access to mobile
voice, video, data and position location services. Unlike cellular
networks
that typically only offer high speed rates in the downstream (from the
tower
to user) direction, MeshNetworks delivers high data rates across both
the
upstream and downstream connections. This makes it quick and easy for
users
to send dashboard video, color photographs and large reports back to the
office or command center. Likewise, high-speed and always-on connections
enable users to instantly communicate with each other, the Internet and
other networks. Finally, MEA solutions support interoperability between
a
wide variety of devices, databases and interagency networks via
end-to-end
support for industry standard Internet Protocol (IP). The combination of
these unique capabilities is a survivable and high-performance wireless
system that meets the needs of mission critical mobile communications
networks.

"Medford required a secure, high-performance and cost-effective mobile
data
network for first responders and other municipal agencies. The city of
Medford elected to adopt MeshNetworks' technology after being
disappointed
with the low bandwidth capabilities being offered by cellular carriers,"
said Doug Townsend, Technology Services Director, City of Medford. "Due
to
its high data rates and innovative mesh architecture, our analysis shows
that the MEA system will pay for itself rapidly through increases in
personnel productivity."

Medford is working towards a regional approach to its Homeland Security
Preparedness and response to any hazard that threatens public safety.
Medford shared this vision and received support from local and county
governmental agencies, public safety first-responders, health care
providers, schools, and utilities to construct a county-wide
interoperable
wireless communications network. Medford is located in Jackson County,
which
covers more than 2,801 square miles and has a population of over
187,000.

"We are pleased to be working with Viasys to bring Medford a state-of
the-art solution to meet their mobile broadband needs," said Richard
Licursi, President and CEO of MeshNetworks. "Finding a reliable,
budget-friendly, high-speed mobile data system is a challenge in these
times
of tight fiscal resources. By deploying MeshNetworks' MEA technology,
Medford has proven that a forward thinking municipality can get both a
high-performance solution and a fast payback on their investment."

The Medford network closely follows last month's announcement by NexGen
City
of their 57 square mile deployment in the city of Garland, Texas. The
Garland network is the largest mobile mesh network in the world. NexGen
City
is a licensee and OEM of MeshNetworks' technology.

About Medford (See http://www.ci.medford.or.us/)
Medford, established in 1894, is currently the largest city in Southern
Oregon. With its population of 70,000, Medford is establishing itself as
a
premier regional trade center in the Pacific Northwest. Its public
safety
organizations, made up of 150 police and 75 fire personnel, have
established
themselves as some of the most forward thinking, technology aware
departments in the country.

About MeshNetworks (See http://www.meshnetworks.com)
MeshNetworks delivers innovative mobile broadband network solutions
based on
patented ad hoc networking technology. The Company's MeshNetworks
Enabled
Architecture (MEAT) technology provides wireless broadband connectivity
to
fixed, portable and mobile devices. Voice, video, data, telemetry and
position-location are supported to specifically meet the needs of
mission
critical communications networks and applications. MeshNetworks offers
these
solutions through OEMs, Systems Integrators, and Value Added Resellers.

About Viasys Services, Inc. (See http://www.viasyscorp.com/)
Viasys is a leading provider of infrastructure development and
maintenance
services for the transportation, power utility and telecommunication
industries. Viasys provides the design, installation and systems
integration
for MeshNetworks' wireless products, as well as the wired infrastructure
necessary to support it.

http://www.meshnetworks.com/pages/newsroom/press_releases/release_02_23_04.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/