Subject: [NEXTEL-1] In-stat Survey Data Supports Push To Talk Trend

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:27:30 -0500

In-stat Survey Data Supports Push To Talk Trend
By Eric Lin, Fri Feb 20 23:15:00 GMT 2004

In a recent In-Stat/MDR survey, 50% of users who don't use Push To Talk
now were interested in the service.  In-Stat calls this type of response
tepid, but in light of other surveys, it's actually quite encouraging.

In-Stat/MDR surveyed mobile phone users in the US regarding Push To Talk
(PTT). Despite recent launches from from Verizon, Sprint and Alltel in
addition to long-standing users on Nextel, only 8% of the 239
respondents used PTT. Nextel has the fewest subscribers of the six major
carriers, and very few handsets on Sprint or Verizon are compatible with
their PTT services, so the number of current users is not that
surprising.More interesting are the responses from the other 92% of
respondents. out of the non-PTT users, 50% would consider using it.
In-Stat paints this as a lukewarm response, and suggests that other
carriers market PTT to subscribers other than business users since it
could be a challenge to compete with Nextel's dominance in the business
world.I am a Push To Talk sceptic, but I have a more positive
interpretation of these survey results than In-Stat's analysts. Last
week when we reported on a Strategy Analytics' survey, only 45% of those
surveyed wanted the most desired feature- driving directions. Getting
over 50% of users to express interest in any one feature then seems
quite a feat. Operators should be encouraged by this kind of response,
even though In-Stat calls it "tepid."In-Stat's suggestion that other
networks should target non-business users only feels half-right as well.
According to their own data, half of those who were interested in PTT
would use it for business. Even if there are markets for PTT other than
business users, there certainly are business users who would prefer to
use PTT on their own network rather than switching to Nextel. It seem
sensible to recommend that operators concentrate on business users
first, as they are most likely to subscribe to walkie-talkie services-
with the additional caveat that as with all other services, they would
be foolish to neglect personal users.

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100414&threshold=-1

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/