Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Shirley Oracle, MA -Radio system dead spots compromise public safety

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:08:42 -0500

Shirley Oracle, MA - Radio system dead spots compromise public safety
By Jeanette Wade

Friday, February 06, 2004 - SHIRLEY -- The dead spots in town's public safety
radio system compromise safety, according to a police union representative and
Shirley officer.

"Without communication, if any of the other components break down like the
vehicle, they [police officers] are in trouble," said Joe Sanduli, lead attorney
for the Massachusetts Coalition of Police, at the selectmen's meeting Monday
night. "The process is: We receive an incoming phone call. We arrive at the
location. The communication is necessary on site to determine if the person has
a firearm, a warrant or other important pieces of information. If the police
needs additional help, they need to be able to request additional help.
"Officer Dale Prentiss was lying on the ground and was unable to reach dispatch
because his radio didn't work," Sanduli added. "God forbid that ever happens
again. But every day of the week, this is essential not only for the officers'
well being but for the citizens' well being. Of all the issues we concern
ourselves with as a union -- hours of work, wages -- there is nothing as
important as communication. We strongly urge you to support the chief's
well-thought-out proposal."

Officer Craig LaPrade provided selectmen with another example of failed radio
communications. "Dispatch notified us of a possible chimney fire at Bay Woods. I
was the first to arrive at the scene," he said. "I noticed heavy flames coming
out of the garage. Once I got out on [the] portable [radio], no one could hear
me.

"I was trying to rely to Officer Perry, but I couldn't get him, luckily Nextel
was on my side," LaPrade said. "At one time, the homeowner and his wife were
walking by, and they couldn't hear any two-way [radio communication]. One
vehicle involved was completely burned out. The gentleman had gasoline in there.
There was a situation if someone had got hurt, we wouldn't have been able to get
rescue on the scene."

Ambulance Director Mike Lowry added, "We can talk to the hospital in Boston, but
we can't talk to the dispatcher two miles away." The Ambulance Department has
offered financial support for an upgrade, "but not $33,000," he said.
Selectmen Chairman Ellen Doiron said, "Something that strikes me is we have been
inundated in the past year with homeland security. Has there been any thoughts
to that for funding support?"

Police Chief Paul Thibodeau said he has "been watching that for the past year,"
but hasn't "seen any grants for radio communications."

Doiron asked if "most of the officers" carried their own cell phones while on
the job. Thibodeau said most do.
Sanduli said that they "are their own personal phones" that the officers paid
for themselves. In addition, "the real problem is that they can be tapped." The
cell-phone reception is not consistent either, he added.
http://www.shirleyoracle.com/Stories/0,1413,111~5843~1939527,00.html#

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/