Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Wireless Kicks Nextel To The Curb And Becomes The Official Telecommunications Sponsor Of The Boston Marathon.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:08:29 -0500

Verizon Wireless Kicks Nextel To The Curb And Becomes The Official
Telecommunications Sponsor Of The Boston Marathon.
Nation's Leading Wireless Provider Aligns Itself With World's Oldest and Most
Prestigious Marathon Event
Verizon Supplies  Push to Talk Phones-

WOBURN, Mass., Feb. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless today announced that is
has signed on as the official telecommunications sponsor of the Boston Marathon.
The Boston Marathon, organized by the Boston Athletic Association, is the
world's oldest and most prestigious annual marathon.  "Verizon Wireless'
involvement with the Marathon is very well timed," said Guy Morse, Executive
Director of the Boston Athletic Association. "We're constantly increasing the
use of technology to ensure the safety and accuracy of our race, and this year,
we know we've selected a superior telecommunications partner."

While financial terms are not being disclosed, the three-year contract is
comprised of a monetary sponsorship and the donation of Push to Talk phones,
extra batteries, and accessories. Push to Talk from Verizon Wireless delivers a
'walkie-talkie' feature allowing customers to connect directly to other Verizon
Wireless Push to Talk users with a simple push of a button on a Push to Talk
capable handset.

In addition, Verizon Wireless is donating wireless air cards, which provide
high-speed wireless access to the Internet using Verizon Wireless'
NationalAccess network. Wireless access will ensure the real-time posting of
runner position and time at each marker along the marathon route.  Runners this
year will include Verizon Wireless New England Region President, Robert F.
Stott, who is running the Boston Marathon for the ninth time.  "The Boston
Marathon marks the start of spring in New England as it welcomes visitors from
around the world," said Stott. "As an avid runner, I actively train year-round
for the 'Bos,' but this year, the event is of greater importance as I'm not just
running for myself, but for a company I've been associated with for more than 37
years."
To ensure that the network is prepared for increased usage during the marathon,
Verizon Wireless' true life 'test guys' will test network coverage along the
marathon race route and throughout Boston and metro west. On race day, the
company's mobile "V-Team" will provide free wireless phone service for runners,
visitors and race fans, so that everyone stays connected for security, safety
and celebratory reasons.

Verizon Wireless will also participate in the annual Sports and Fitness Expo
being held at the World Trade Center Boston on April 17-18, 2004 from 9:00 -
6:00 p.m., but for those interested in checking out the newest available
wireless solutions, the company will host three tents along the race route on
Marathon Monday, April 19th.
About Boston Athletic Association

Established in 1887, the Boston Athletic Association has been the organizer of
the Boston Marathon since the race's inception in 1897. More than 20,000
official participants will run in the 108th Boston Marathon on Patriots' Day, a
holiday in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The B.A.A. is a non-profit
organization committed to promoting fitness through athletics throughout the
year.
About Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications.
The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 37.5
million customers.  Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint
venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD).
Find more information on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.

MEDIA CONTACTS:
J. Abra Degbor - VZW
781.481.1314

Jack Fleming - BAA
617.236.1652

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/