Subject: [NEXTEL-1] gcs markll vhf/uhf portable phone

From: "sick1man2002" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:47:12 -0000

i know this has nothing to do with nextel, but does with
phones. i was reading the popular communications magazine
dec 89 issue, telephones enroute, by tom kneitel k2aes.
it showed a vhf/uhf portable phone 150mhz 450mhz gcs 
non cellular phone puts out five watts of power sold
for just under $3,900 dollars and weighed 23 ounces.
has any of you ever seen or used one of these phones?
do you think this would a better phone than cell, 
the phone looks more like a two-way radio. 
the cost of that phone back then you had to be rich
to own or use one.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: michael Ackison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:51:37 -0800 (PST)

wow!!!!!!!!! never seen one of those phones befor

sick1man2002 <[email-masked]> wrote:i know this has nothing to do with nextel, but does with

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

   To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/
  
   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]
  
   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:39:48 -0500

Don't do it. These are "Gray Market" units for export only. Illegal in the USA.
You don't want "DA-Hammer" ( FCC Special Counsel for Amateur Radio Enforcement
Riley Hollingsworth).knocking at your door!

==========================================================

ARRL Asks FCC to Investigate Long-Range
Cordless Telephone Sales

NEWINGTON, CT, May 30, 2001--The
ARRL has asked the FCC to investigate and
"take appropriate action" against several
companies it alleges have been marketing
so-called "long-range cordless telephones" via
the Internet. The ARRL took the action in the
wake of numerous complaints from the
amateur community about sales of the
devices, some of which operate on VHF and
UHF frequencies allocated to the Amateur
Service.

"Because these devices operate on Amateur
bands and are capable of causing severe
interference to ongoing Amateur
communications, and because these devices
likely will not meet MPE [Maximum
Permissible Exposure] levels for RF
exposure, the matter is considered urgent,"
said the May 29 letter from ARRL General Counsel Chris Imlay, W3KD.

The letter was addressed to FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief David Solomon as well
as to
Raymond LaForge of the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology's Equipment
Authorization Division and to FCC Special Counsel for Amateur Radio Enforcement
Riley
Hollingsworth.

"ARRL has not been able to locate any FCC certification for these devices and,
based on the
advertised frequency bands and ranges, it is believed that none of these devices
could be
certificated, or legally marketed or sold, under FCC rules," Imlay wrote.

Imlay said the ARRL also is looking into the marketing of products such as
434-MHz video
surveillance equipment and other "apparently non-certificated devices" that use
amateur
frequencies but are being marketed in the US to non-amateurs.

ARRL Lab Supervisor Ed Hare, W1RFI, said he's received several reports
concerning
long-range cordless telephone devices advertised for sale on the Internet and
via auction sites
such as eBay. "One of the reports, from Bill Erhardt, K7MT, involved actual
harmful
interference to amateur communications," Hare said. Erhardt tracked the
telephone to a
neighbor's home. The neighbor told him he'd bought it on eBay.

Hare said he was glad to see the issue put into the FCC's hands. "All
intentional transmitting
devices that are marketed in the US must be FCC certificated, as described in
the FCC rules," he said. "At the advertised power levels
and frequencies, I do not believe that these phones could have been
certificated."

The ARRL was able to obtain one of the long-distance cordless telephones for
testing.
The device, manufactured in China, bears no FCC identification number or label.
The
ARRL technical staff determined that the device--an Optima 8810--operates at an
output power of greater than 3 W near 147 MHz. Other such phones are advertised
as
having ranges of up to 100 km operating at power levels of up to 35 W on VHF and

UHF. Some models use frequencies in the amateur 2-meter and 1.25-meter bands.

The ARRL offered to send the telephone device "and as much information as it can

obtain about the eBay seller" to the FCC. In his letter Imlay noted that the
vendor has
since disappeared from the auction site.

One of the companies selling the long-range cordless telephones had originally
indicated that one such device operated on 147 and 230 MHz. Apparently after it
heard
complaints from amateurs, the company altered its Web site listing to indicate
that the
phone operated at 249 and 375 MHz. The ARRL attached to its letter a copy of the

Web site of another seller that showed the same telephone as operating on 150
and
230 MHz. The League said some of the companies also may be selling similar
wireless
products that may operate on amateur or restricted bands.

Hare said some long-range devices are legally certificated to operate on the 900
MHz
or 2450 MHz Part 15 bands. "These legal devices are only an issue if they cause
actual
harmful interference to the Amateur Service," he said.

Hare requested reports of unlicensed devices causing actual harmful interference
to
Amateur Radio operation. Reports may be sent to [email-masked].

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2001/05/30/3/

========================================================

They have also interfered with Areonautical operations -

A0015/01 - ATTENTION INTERNATIONAL OPERATORS: INTERFERENCE IMPACTING AERO-
NAUTICAL AIR TRAFFIC
FREQUENCIES CAUSE BY ILLEGAL HIGH POWER CORDLESS TELEPHONES. THE MIAMI AIR ROUTE
TRAFFIC CONTROL
CENTER (ZMA ARTCC) HAS EXPER- IENCED RADIO FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE (RFI) ON
FREQUENCIES 134.2, 134.6
MHZ RESULTING FROM THE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF HIGH POWER CORDLESS TELEPHONES IN THE
BAHAMAS AND
ON FREQUENCY 133.85 MHZ FROM THE USE OF HIGH POWER CORDLESS TELEPHONES IN MIAMI.
THE CLEVELAND
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL CENTER ARTCC (ZOB) OPERATIONS WERE ALSO IMPACTED DUE TO RFI
ON FREQUENCY
134.65 MHZ, FROM THE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF HIGH POWER CORDLESS TELEPHONE LOCATED
IN HARRISON,
MICHIGAN. HIGH POWER CORDLESS TELEPHONES ARE BEING USED ILLEGALLY IN THE U.S.
AND THE BAHAMAS.
THESE PHONES CAN INTERFERE WITH THE FREQUENCIES USED FOR AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
WORLDWIDE AND CAN
POSE PROBLEMS TO ATC NAVIGATION AND COMMUNICATIONS. PART 1 OF 2 WIE UNTIL UFN

A0015/01 - THE FAA IS WORKING WITH OTHER GOVERNMENT AGENCIES WITHIN THE UNITED
STATES AND OTHER
COUNTRIES TO CURTAIL ILLEGAL USE OF THESE PHONES AND IS APPROACHING VENDORS TO
CEASE DISTRIBUTION
AND PRODUCTION OF UNITS THAT OPERATE IN OR CAUSE INTERFERENCE TO CRITICAL
AERONAUTICAL RADIO
SPECTRUM. USERS OPERATING ON THESE FREQUENCIES SHOULD BE AWARE THAT NAVIGATION
AND
COMMUNICATION COULD BE SEVERELY IMPACTED DUE TO RFI OF THESE HIGH POWER CORDLESS
TELEPHONES.
USERS OF AERONAUTICAL RADIO NAVIGATION AND COMMUNICATION SERVICES WHO EXPERIENCE
THIS TYPE OF
INTERFERENCE SHOULD REPORT ANY EVENT IMMEDIATELY TO THE AIR TRAFFIC FACILITY
PROVIDING AIR
TRAFFIC SER- VICES. IF THIS IMMEDIATE REPORT IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE USERS SHOULD
MAKE A REPORT TO THE
NEAREST AIR TRAFFIC FACILITY AT THE EARLIEST TIME POSSIBLE AFTER THE RFI EVENT.
PART 2 OF 2 WIE UNTIL
UFN

michael Ackison wrote:

> sick1man2002 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "sick1man2002" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:47:17 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
> i don't own one of those phones i just saw it listed in a old
popular communications magazine and the picture of it dated 1989
and wanted to see if any one seen one of them.
> Amateur Radio operation. Reports may be sent to rfi@a...
> 
> > sick1man2002 <sick1man2002@y...> wrote:
> >

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Ugly Person" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:24:36 -0500

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "sick1man2002" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 22:47
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] gcs markll vhf/uhf portable phone

> the cost of that phone back then you had to be rich

While I have never used one I am familiar with the IMTS (Improved Mobile
Telephone Service) phones. The older models you supposedly had to link
directly with the operator to make a call whereas the "newer" models allowed
for direct dialling. Only five watts? For a portable unit maybe but I'm
surprised that a mobile unit wouldn't have more output on it. The problem is
that these pre-date modern, and even primitive (1980's) cellular phone
systems and appear to be good only in one service area (thus the strong
signal). This meant no "hand-offs" to other cells an no dropped calls.  Each
area had its own channel, usually designated by two letters (for us it is
YJ, 152.63 Mhz.). Typically during my monitoring of these frequencies it
seems it was used exclusively by Bell Canada employees. Discussing it with
someone else at the time who used one at one point claimed that airtime was
50 cents (Canadian) per minute which killed any hopes that the ancient
technology would be cheaper.  So even now, you have to be rich to use one.

Also here in Canada iDEN technology is used by Telus Mobility rather than
Nextel. I don't have such a phone yet but I'm intrigued by them which is why
I read this email list.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links