Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Doesn't Buy Nextel's Lame Argument On Nextwave Licenses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:31:51 -0500

FCC Doesn't Buy Nextel's Lame Argument On Nextwave Licenses

FCC OKs NextWave license sale to Cingular
By HEATHER FORSGREN WEAVER
February 13 16:47:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission gave the green light for
bankrupt NextWave Telecom Inc. to sell spectrum in 34 markets to Cingular
Wireless L.L.C. for $1.4 billion.

“Obtaining FCC regulatory approval of our agreement with Cingular represents a
major step forward in our reorganization process.
The proceeds of the deal will enable us to satisfy a significant portion of our
obligations to the government and to other creditors.
The transaction strengthens NextWave’s capitalization and positions the company
to complete its reorganization,” said Allen Salmasi,
NextWave chief executive officer.

The FCC rejected an argument from Nextel Communications Inc. that Cingular did
not deserve to buy the licenses because it was not cooperating in trying to
solve 800 MHz band public-safety interference in Anne Arundel County, Md.

“We find that Cingular has the requisite character qualifications to acquire the
designated licenses.

First, the FCC has already reviewed Cingular’s conduct regarding interference in
the county and found no problem warranting the denial of applications or the
revocation of licenses.

Second, the FCC’s Wireless Telecommunications Bureau has found Cingular to be
qualified to acquire licenses numerous times prior and subsequent to the
initiation and resolution of the inquiry into interference issues in the county.

Third, Nextel provides no evidence that Cingular has made any misrepresentations
or acted with a lack of candor in any of the proceedings before the commission,
or has a pattern of willful violations of the Communications Act or the FCC’s
rules,” said the commission.

NextWave and Cingular announced the proposed sale last summer. Bankruptcy Judge
Adlai S. Hardin Jr. approved the sale last fall.
As part of their contract, Cingular will pay the FCC $714 million of $4.3
billion NextWave still owes the government for the licenses it
won at auction in 1997 and then were subject to a bankruptcy saga that was
finally settled last year by the U.S. Supreme Court.
The licenses will give Cingular spectrum in major markets including Los Angeles,
Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston,
Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Boston, San Diego and Baltimore. The licenses—some of
which are slices of the 30-megahertz licenses
won by NextWave in 1997—cover 83 million potential customers.

NextWave still holds the rights to spectrum in 81 markets.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16915

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG