Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Use in Presidential Primary Draws Positive Reviews

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:59:43 -0500

Wireless Use in Presidential Primary Draws Positive Reviews

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Feb. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Tens of thousands of
Virginia voters who went to the polls on February 10 voted on a new
touch screen electronic voting system.  Based on initial surveys, over
90% of voters using the WINvote touch screen system rated it either
"easy" or "very easy" to use.

Voter Beverly Knox from Richmond, VA stated that the WINvote was,
"Little old lady proof.  It was so easy!"  Caroline County Registrar
Roger Edwards said, "The voters in our county loved it, especially the
seniors."

The WINvote, made by Advanced Voting Solutions, is the first voting
technology to use secure wireless technology, known as WiFi.  The
wireless technology is used to quickly and securely load the ballots to
the voting terminals and open and close the polls on Election Day.

"Once again, we saw the value of using our secure wireless technology to
dramatically ease the burden on elections staff and poll workers on
Election Day," stated Bryan D. Finney, Government Relations Director for
AVS.  "Our encrypted wireless technology is a significant leap forward
for the elections industry.  This technology saves significant time and
county resources, while reducing the possibility of human error."

Kirk Showalter, the Registrar of Richmond, VA indicated her initial
reports from voters and poll workers were, "Very positive.  In fact, one
of our poll workers told us that the system 'knocked their socks off."
Maggie Luca, Registrar of Fairfax County, Virginia's largest
jurisdiction, stated, "I'm delighted.  Everything has really been
terrific!"   Fairfax County purchased the WINvote last year.

At 8.9 lbs, the WINvote is the lightest-weight touch screen voting
system certified for use in the United States.  The WINvote is designed
to allow blind voters and those with other physical disabilities to cast
a ballot independently.
Responding to questions about the security of wireless technology, Mr.
Finney of AVS stated, "Our wireless technology has multiple layers of
encryption and other proprietary security protections.  Importantly, the
wireless network is not used to transmit votes, has a limited range of a
few hundred feet and is only used for a few minutes at a time."
Finney then quoted a January 12th headline from USA Today, "The best
minds in technology have looked into the future and it has no wires."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/