Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Samsung to launch Push to Talk handsets

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:40:30 -0500

Samsung to launch Push to Talk handsets

Nokia and Samsung have announced a cooperation agreement aimed at
bringing Push to talk over Cellular (PoC) technology to the mass market.
Based on the cooperation, Samsung plans to introduce push to talk in
several of its mobile terminal products during 2004 and 2005, utilizing
Nokia's PoC technology. Nokia provides Samsung with its push to talk
technology as well as interoperability testing and support. Nokia's push
to talk technology is based on open specification and offers a smooth
migration path to the upcoming OMA standard. Open specifications and
standards based solutions are the key to ensure interoperability and
mass market potential for push to talk.

"Nokia's leading push to talk technology offers us a competitive
platform for commercial push to talk terminal products", says Andrew
Park, Vice President, R&D, Samsung. "We are planning to introduce a
number of push to talk capable terminals during 2004 and 2005. We
believe that the open specifications supported by Nokia are the key to
success in bringing this exciting feature to our customers globally".

Nokia is also a member of the industry consortium that worked together
on the PoC requirements that were submitted to the Open Mobile Alliance
(OMA), where the actual standardization of PoC will take place, in
August 2003. In October 2003, Nokia launched its carrier grade push to
talk network products for early market entry. In November 2003, Nokia
launched the world's first push to talk GSM phone, the Nokia 5140. Nokia
has been trialling its push to talk technology with over 30 operators
globally.

"Leading operators worldwide have shown strong interest towards Push to
talk and this year we will see commercial services deployed across the
globe", says Kai Öistämö, Senior Vice President, Mobile Phones, Nokia.
"In the future, we expect push to talk to become a standard feature in
phones, just like short messaging is today".
During 2004, Nokia will introduce a full range of push to talk capable
GSM phones, including Symbian OS based smartphones. From 2005 onwards
push to talk will become available for all Nokia GPRS/WCDMA phones.

Posted to the site on 24-Feb-04

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10700.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/