Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Verizon Slams Nextel's "SCAM PLAN" Valuation Study.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:29:47 EST

First, the Commission is going to adopt a version of rebanding as part of its 
approach toward mitigating, if not eliminating interference to Public Safety 
and other systems in the 800 MHz band. Whether or not it is the Consensus 
Parties' Proposal or another approach, remains a matter of some debate.

Second, I believe you are correct in that if the FCC were to adopt the 
Consensus Parties' Proposal as written its Report & Order would be challenged in 
court by many of the entities participating in the rulemaking proceeding. And I 
believe challenged successfully by the General Category and Lower 80 Channels' 
EA licensees such as Southern, Preferred, Nevada Wireless, etc., who suffer 
the loss of one or both of the spectrum rights purchased by them in winning 
their authorizations while in every EA market Nextel, Nextel Partners and the 
licensees whose spectrum Nextel claims to "control" through purchase option and 
management agreements receive more MHz/Pops Equivalent, Clean and Clean and 
Contiguous Spectrum than they presently hold.  

Third, the Consensus Parties' estimate of the total relocation costs of their 
Proposal is billions of dollars short of a realistic figure. Actually, about 
$2.5 billion short, maybe a little more.  If Nextel decides that it cannot 
provide more funds, the movement(s) simply would stop with Public Safety 
relocated in some NPSPAC Regions but not in others.  The Consensus Parties never 
provide an answer to this problem. It's simply a problem. 

Oh well.

But then again I could be wrong.

P. Waugh