Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: [WFHSG] DARPA hopes to give field radio networks a BLAST of speed

From: ohara <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:17:14 -0500

For those interested, attached is a intro/tutorial I threw together on MIMO.  
The animations help...

If you use it, please properly reference it.

Sean

Sean O'Hara
Research & Communications Engineer, 
Business Area Manager-Communications

Syracuse Research Corporation
Systems Technology Center
6225 Running Ridge Road
North Syracuse, NY 13212

315.452.8152 office
315.452.8180 fax
315.559.5632 mobile

[email-masked]
www.syrres.com

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:37:25 -0500

Sean,

Rant Mode On-

Nice presentation. Thanks for posting it, but it may go over the heads of many. I
pounded the table about MIMO last year and it went ZOOOOOM over the heads of many. I
hope your audience understands the advantages of MIMO better than the pre-madonnas I
addressed.

Have you seen the work  that UT and VT have done on  MIMO? They are making great
strides in the unlicensed band where interference runs ramped. They have adapted this
technology to various air interfaces with much success.

I see public safety adopting this technology to improve coverage in a harsh radio
environment. Using MIMO will allow public safety to reduce  power requirements while
maintaining the same level of coverage. The "Turn-Up-The-Power" mentality to overcome
interference is futile. MIMO will also help to reduce the noise floor. I know you are
aware of these advantages but I'm pointing this out for the benefit of others. .MIMO
will be an excellent topic for OET to jump on. They seem to have ignored this
technology in the public safety arena.

Radio diversity is a MUST if public safety intends on improving coverage and reducing
interference.  I wish public safety would adapt Cellular/ PCS technology at a faster
rate.  I'm tired of seeing antiquated technology being used in public safety. Can you
say 2:1  P-25?

Last year I posted a document on "Analysis and Modeling of Multiple-Input
Multiple-Output (MIMO) Radio Channel Based on Outdoor Measurements Conducted at 2.5GHz
for Fixed BWA Applications".( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/12907).

While this document addressed fixed applications, Nortel and Lucent have deployed this
technology in a mobile environment with great success. So-called "Smart Antennas"  use
a similar technology that has increased capacity and reduced drop calls. I know public
safety has a lot of smart guys like yourself involved, but it is time to open their
eyes.

Rant Mode Off-

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program already in
progress.................

Marcel-

 P.S. Please  forward my comments to the appropriate groups.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links