Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Landmine clearance funded by mobile network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:52:35 -0500

Landmine clearance funded by mobile network

At a ceremony in Baštice, Oto Jungwirth, Director of the Croatian Mine Clearing
Center, handed over a certificate of completed mine clearing of the area "Islam
Grcki - Baštica" to Mladen Pejkovic, CTO and member of the Management Board of
the Croatian GSM network operator, VIPnet. The ceremony was attended by the
Prefect from Zadar Ivo Grbic and the Mayor from Benkovac Branko Kutija, who
received the certificate and extended the thanks on behalf of the inhabitants of
the Benkovac region for another significant part of Baštice being cleared from
mines.

End September 2003, VIPnet donated US$174,000 to the HCR to clear from mines the
agricultural land and water pumping site in Baštica in the vicinity of Benkovac.
Mine clearing started in December 2003, and by the end of January 2004 the
Company AKD Mungos had cleared 132,781 square meters of land from mines. 33
mines and explosive devices as well as 9 unexploded devices were found in the
cleared area.

Thanks to the joint efforts of the HCR and VIPnet, the area of Baštice has been
returned to the inhabitants of the Benkovac region for use after only four
months upon the grant of the donation and after 12 years.

In 2003, the Croatian Mine Clearing Center returned to the Zadar County 42.5
square meters of land, among which 37.9 upon inspection and 4.6 upon mine
clearing. From 1998 to end 2003, 36 persons were victims of mine incidents in
the Zadar County: 12 of them died and 14 suffered serious physical injuries. In
the same period 11 persons were victims of mines in the Municipality of
Benkovac: 5 of them died while three of them suffered serious physical injuries.

In cooperation with the HCR, VIPnet has been providing assistance for two
consecutive years already to clear from mines the agricultural land in Croatia.
In 2002, VIPnet donated one million kunas for mine clearing of the agricultural
land in the village of Nijemci in the vicinity of Vukovar.

Posted to the site on 16-Feb-04

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10629.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/