Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Turkish Police Find Weapons Cache in Uzans' Farm, Aksam Reports

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:37:11 -0500

Turkish Police Find Weapons Cache in Uzans' Farm, Aksam Reports

Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The Turkish police found a cache of weapons at a
farm house owned by the Uzan family, which owes Motorola Inc. and Nokia
Oyj $3 billion and the Turkish government $6 billion, Aksam daily
reported.

The police discovered 10 fully automatic assault rifles, including M-16s
used by the U.S. military, in a farm owned by Hakan and Cem Uzan, Aksam
reported, citing police officials. The police also found 25 handguns and
12,500 bullets in the farm located near Pamukova, a town three hours
east of Istanbul. Some of the guns didn't have legal licenses, the
report said.
Turkey's banking regulators seized control of 219 Uzan companies last
week in an effort to collect some of the money the family owes the
state. Cem Uzan, the eldest Uzan sibling who also leads an opposition
political party, has called the moves against his family an effort to
block his political ambitions.

Last week, Cem Uzan said he feared for his and his children's safety
because the government was using the police for its political aims
against him. He has increased personal security measures and will be
wearing a bulletproof vest during his political rallies in coming
months, Uzan said.
(Aksam 2-24, 1)

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=aAmwdVApKiRk&refer=europe

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/