Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verbal SMS is here

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:24:27 -0500

cooltech.iafrica.com
 TECH NEWS
 Verbal SMS is here
 Posted Wed, 04 Feb 2004

 A new, verbal way to send messages via the GSM network that
 does not require users to type in a SMS is here, Swedish-based
 telecommunications giant Ericsson has announced. And, like current
 text-based SMS's, it costs less than a cellphone call.

 "Even with all the communications choices we have, there are often
 times when a quick message has to be sent and a fast response is required
without
 the sender having to go through the hassle of writing an SMS or having a
drawn-out
 conversation," said Ericsson SA mobile systems manager Hendrik Bredenkamp.

 He said with Push to Talk (PTT) technology, existing cellular networks can be
used
 to send the equivalent of verbal SMS to multiple recipients, similar to that
used by
 internet chat rooms. PTT is a form of two-way communication that allows users
to
 communicate with one or more receivers via their mobile phones.

 In order to use verbal SMS, PTT users should register with their respective
 networks to be PTT-enabled, then set up a “buddy list” on their phones. Each
 contact that has their phone switched on is highlighted on this list to show
they are
 immediately available. Users can choose to mark themselves as unavailable when
in
 meetings or when they require privacy.

 On PTT-enabled handsets, the user simply selects the contact or a group to send
a
 message to, presses a button on the phone and talks, Ericsson added.

 The company felt the US regulations restricting PTT users to one network each
was
 an unattractive solution. Instant Talk, a PTT solution, has been designed with
 interoperability in mind and it ensures users from different cellular providers
can
 send and receive messages without network problems.

 "Unlike old walkie-talkies, Instant Talk users are not limited by the distance
from
 each other, but can be located anywhere on the planet, as long as they are in
range
 of a cellular provider that provides the service," Bredenkamp said.

 Instant Talk allows providers to add another value-added service to their
arsenal
 without requiring large investments in equipment and new technology.

 Bredenkamp said: "In Africa there is enormous potential for PTT technologies as

 many people cannot afford cellular calls and the illiteracy rate is high,
putting SMS
 out of reach of a large number of Africans."

 With Instant Talk, however, illiteracy is irrelevant as one simply has to talk
-- and it
 will cost less than a voice call, he added.

 Bredenkamp expected Africa to be Instant Talk services-enabled towards the end
of
 2004.

 I-Net Bridge

http://cooltech.iafrica.com/technews/300209.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/