Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PPW says improve EAS

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:47:10 -0500

PPW says improve EAS
By Jeffrey Silva
February 09 12:45:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—A leading group today urged Homeland Security Secretary Tom
Ridge to take steps to improve the nation’s Emergency Alert System and
offered recommendations that include greater use of wireless
technologies.
“We know that timely and accurate public warnings to those at risk from
terrorism and other emergencies can save lives, reduce property losses
and speed economic recovery. We once had a strong civil defense program
that tested warning systems and educated the public. Unfortunately, with
the end of the Cold War we became complacent and paid little attention
to issues such as the Emergency Alert System,” said William Craig
Fugate, chairman of the Partnership for Public Warning and director of
the Florida division of emergency management.
PPW said, among other things, no significant effort has been made to
incorporate new technologies such as cell phones and pagers.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16830

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/