Subject: [NEXTEL-1] State radio emergency system needed

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:18:33 -0500

Published Thursday, February 19, 2004
State radio emergency system needed

Last modified at 1:01 a.m. on Thursday, February 19, 2004

It just doesn't make any sense. Two law enforcement agencies such as the
Nebraska State Patrol and a sheriff's department are searching for a
killer.  But because they have different radio systems, they can't
communicate with each other. When a deputy comes upon the suspect, he is
unable to communicate directly with a nearby trooper for backup.

Or a bus with dozens of passengers rolls over on Interstate 80.
Ambulance crews from several towns respond, but without a common radio
frequency they are unable to communicate with each other. The rescue
effort is hampered by the lack of coordination.

Both of those examples have happened, and could happen again at any
time, in Nebraska. Unfortunately, that could have tragic consequences
leading to the death of an officer or accident victim. It's a situation
that must be corrected.

The Statewide Communications Alliance of Nebraska (SCAN) is working to
do that. SCAN's plan is to implement a statewide, interoperable,
wireless communication network for public safety. It would enable
responders from different agencies to work together during a crisis.

Unfortunately, the plan is expensive, estimated to cost from $60 million
to $75 million or more, and funding is hard to come by. Two options
discussed are a 50 cent surcharge on residential electric bills and $2
per month on other electricity users or federal funding from Homeland
Security funds and other grants.

In our view, the Homeland Security funds and grants are the best
option.  Communication will play an important role in combating any
terrorist attack and a new network seems like a proper use for the
funds.
Unfortunately, Lt. Gov. Dave Heineman said there wasn't enough support
from cities and counties to use $15 million of Homeland Security funds
for the radio system. Localities were more interested in using funds for
local radio projects, which could eventually also help a statewide
system.

A statewide emergency communications system is definitely needed. To
make it a reality, there must be some give from all sides.
Municipalities should allow some Homeland Security funds to be used for
the system and more federal grants should be sought. Then the state's
residents will feel better about contributing to it too, through the
electricity surcharge.

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/021904/opi_edit19.shtml
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/