Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO criticizes NENA SWAT report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:04:12 -0500

APCO criticizes NENA SWAT report
February 10 13:42:00, 2004

WASHINGON—The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials
International today criticized a key report’s finding that
federal regulators relax a government mandate governing one form of mobile-phone
location-based 911 service.

APCO said it finds objectionable a recommendation in the report—issued by the
National Emergency Number Association and
Strategic Wireless Action Team—calling for the Federal Communications Commission
to liberalize a rule that requires wireless
carriers using handset-based enhanced 911 technology for Phase II compliance to
meet a 95 percent penetration threshold by the
end of 2005.

“Upon further review of the NENA SWAT report, APCO International strongly
disagrees with this recommendation,” the public safety
group said. “APCO believes that the public safety answering point’s ability to
locate callers using handsets is directly proportionate to
the degree to which old handsets are replaced by new models with location
capabilities.

Furthermore, it is the position of APCO that all carriers should be held
accountable to meet the current handset penetration
requirements and that the FCC should hold firm to these mandates.”

APCO previously indicated it disagreed with the NENA SWAT report’s
recommendations regarding wireless carrier cost recovery,
adding it was not prepared to endorse any specific coordination model at this
time.

“Why wouldn’t we hold the carriers accountable for making their handset
penetration requirements,” said Wanda McCarley, second
vice president of APCO. “Failure to do so would be an injustice not only to the
public and the PSAPs, but also to those carriers who
are currently meeting these requirements.”

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16862

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/