Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC OPENS PROCEEDING TO STREAMLINE AND IMPROVE NETWORK OUTAGE REPORTING

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:11:38 -0500

For Immediate Release                     News Media Contact:
February 12, 2004                      Lauren M. Van Wazer
                 202-418-0030

FCC OPENS PROCEEDING TO STREAMLINE AND IMPROVE
NETWORK OUTAGE REPORTING

Washington, D.C. -  In recognition of the increasing substitutability of
different forms of two-way communications, and the Commission’s need for prompt
information about significant disruptions to those communications, the
Commission adopted a Notice today that proposes to require wireless, wireline,
cable, and satellite telecommunications providers to report information
electronically to the Commission about significant disruptions to their
communications systems.  For ease of reporting, the Commission proposed the use
of an electronic template that would be used by communications providers to
provide the requested information via the Internet.  Taken together, these
proposed actions would facilitate more reliable telecommunications throughout
the United States and promote Homeland Security.  This builds on the
telecommunications industry’s efforts to date to improve outage reporting.

The electronic template, which was derived from the Commission’s experience in
administering network outage reporting requirements for wireline telephone
companies, would simplify and improve the Commission’s reporting requirements.
As proposed, both wireless and satellite providers would be subject, for the
first time, to the Commission’s reporting requirements.  Currently, only
wireline and cable telephony communications providers are required to report.
The increasing use of cell phones and pagers, as well as the Nation’s growing
dependence on satellite communications as critical infrastructure, necessitated
these proposed changes to the Commission’s rules.

In addition, the Commission proposes to require network outage reports whenever
certain critical facilities are affected, including, for example, E911
facilities, airports, and nuclear power plants.  The Commission also proposed to
require network outage reports whenever especially critical transmission and
network control technologies are disrupted.

Action by the Commission, February 12, 2004 by Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
(FCC 04-30). Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin and
Adelstein, with separate statements issued by Chairman Powell, Commissioners
Abernathy, Martin and Adelstein.

ET Docket No. 04-35

Office of Engineering and Technology contact:  Kent Nilsson, 202-418-0845;
e-mail – [email-masked]

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-243862A1.doc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/