Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Flarion, Motorola set up DC wireless safety network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:09:23 -0500

Flarion, Motorola set up DC wireless safety network
Wednesday February 11, 11:59 pm ET
By Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Privately held Flarion Technologies
and Motorola Inc. (NYSE:MOT - News) on Thursday said they would set up
a high-speed wireless data network for safety personnel in the
Washington, D.C., area.

Bedminster, New Jersey-based Flarion, a spinoff of Lucent Technologies
Inc. (NYSE:LU - News), and Motorola said the network would allow
police, fire, transit and homeland security personnel to remain
connected to their networks at speeds peaking at more than 3 megabits
per second.

With average speeds of 1 to 2 megabits per second, Washington
officials said, the dedicated network would be far faster than current
wireless networks and even some wired broadband connections.

Flarion Chief Executive Ray Dolan said such emergency services
personnel would connect to the network, being built out in existing
radio towers, via modems that slip in to a laptop's PC card slot.

"The goal is ... for the district's first responders, regardless of
the agency, to move and at all times remain connected to the Internet
and the intranet," Dolan said.

Flarion uses a technology called Flash-OFDM, designed for high-speed
data. It competes with wireless voice and data standards like
high-speed versions of the CDMA standard developed by Qualcomm Inc.
(NasdaqNM:QCOM - News)

Verizon Wireless has a network in Washington using the "1x EV-DO"
version of the CDMA standard to deliver speeds up to 500 kilobits a
second.

Last week, Nextel Communications Inc. (NasdaqNM:NXTL - News) said it
would test a high-speed wireless service in North Carolina using
Flarion's technology.

"Really the power is bringing all the desktop tools out to the field,"
Chuck Jackson, a vice president for system operations with Motorola,
said of the D.C. service. Motorola is working on the network
installation and applications roll-out for the new program.

Peck said the first tower would be up and running by April, with the
tenth and last up by August. Among those initially expected to use the
network are the city's police and fire departments, with federal
agencies and departments from neighboring states expected to sign on
as well.

http://www.reuters.com/locales/newsArticle.jsp;:402b5c67:13773968f86f39ea?type=technologyNews&locale=en_IN&storyID=4341224

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/