Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel's Anti-Fraud Billing System Fails Again!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:23:26 -0500

Posted on Sun, Jan. 18, 2004

AT YOUR SERVICE
Nextel's Anti-Fraud Billing System Fails Again!
Cell phone account suggests fraud
By ANGELA D. CURRY
Columnist

At Your Service: I received a letter from a
cellular company, which I have enclosed, stating
my contract was about to expire. I don't have an
account with this company. I called and was told
my name and Social Security number were in
their system. Supposedly, I have a two-way
Nextel phone and they told me the phone
number. They said it was a corporate account
and I needed to speak with Nextel directly to find out about the
account and to cancel.

I called Nextel's customer service and they asked for specific
information (which I didn't have) such as mailing address,
account number and the business name the account is under. My
next step was to visit the Nextel store at Oak Park Mall. I spoke
to a manager, who called another person from Loss and
Prevention. I was told I would receive a call from one of them,
which I never did.

I don't understand how someone can steal your Social Security
number and get away with this. What is the company's
responsibility? &mdash; M.K., Olathe

Dear M.K.: Most companies require identification before setting up an
account. However, if the account is set up through a corporate
account or over the phone, this may not be the case.

We sent queries to Nextel and Affordable Cellular Systems, the company
that first contacted you. We learned that because of your query, both
companies had launched a fraud investigation on this account.
Affordable Cellular, however, told us that you had never contacted it
directly and that it was unaware of your concerns until it got our letter.

It appears you have been a victim of fraud. Affordable Cellular Systems
and Nextel told us that it had sent you documentation of
&ldquo;nonresponsibility'' regarding this cellular account. Consumers
should be careful about giving out personal information. Your Social
Security number should not be requested except by an employer,
government agency, lender or credit bureau.

If that information falls into the wrong hands, it can be used by someone
to impersonate you and steal from your accounts or steal from others in
your name. Don't use your birth date, telephone number or other obvious
numbers that might fall into the wrong hands.

Send your request for help to At Your Service, The Kansas City Star, 1729
Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO 64108, or send e-mail to
[email-masked].

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:fOmDy8vLgbsJ:www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/business/personal_finance/7720849.htm+Cell+phone+account+suggests+fraud&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/