Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bushfire inquiry highlights communication problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:34:52 -0500

Bushfire inquiry highlights communication problems

The 2001 ACT bushfire inquiry has heard clearer operational guidelines between
rural and urban fire brigades would have assisted firefighting efforts.

The inquiry is investigating the Christmas Eve fires that destroyed farmland on
the western fringe of Canberra.
In a document handed to the ACT Coroners Court, the head of the territory's
bushfire service, Peter Lucas-Smith, states there was confusion in the chain of
command.

He says questions arose during the fires about whether the bushfire service or
the fire brigade was in charge of directing urban fire brigade resources.

In the paper Mr Lucas-Smith also notes that people were unnecessarily in the
communications centre during the fires, which created distractions.

He also says communication difficulties arose between bushfire service fire
units and urban tankers.
He recommended fire brigade units always use VHF radio when working with
bushfire service units, which only have VHF equipment.
The inquiry continues today.

http://abc.net.au/news/australia/act/200401/s1034677.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/