Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A-GPS tester upgraded

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:33:05 -0500

A-GPS tester upgraded

Spirent Communications has announced an enhancement to its UMTS Location Test
System (ULTS) for the testing of GSM and WCDMA mobiles incorporating Assisted
GPS (A-GPS). Spirent's ULTS already allows operators and mobile manufacturers to
test fully the accuracy and reliability of A-GPS-equipped mobiles prior to
widespread commercial deployment. However, applicable industry standards for
A-GPS allow a wide range of implementation options, resulting in a very
significant potential for interoperability issues between mobiles and networks.

Now, Spirent's SMLC Emulator (SSE) has been added to the ULTS, enabling mobile
manufacturers to test fully the interoperability of their products' location
ability against the wide range of implementation possibilities. This enhancement
helps reduce the need for costly field trials and helps ensure reliable
operation in roaming scenarios prior to full deployment. The highly flexible SSE
will allow mobile manufacturers to test their devices over the full range of
location services message content and call flows that are likely to be
encountered in live networks.

"Operators hoping to launch profitable location-based services over 2.5G and 3G
networks clearly want to minimize any performance and interoperability issues
experienced by their subscribers," states Richard Catmur, wireless business
development director at Spirent Communications. "Ideally these problems need to
be caught before services and mobiles are deployed. With the new SSE, our ULTS
solution now makes it possible to identify both performance and interoperability
issues in the lab, helping to enable the success of next-generation services."

A Serving Mobile Location Centre (SMLC) is the key network element in A-GPS
implementation. The SMLC manages the processing associated with the location of
a mobile and in many cases makes the actual calculation of a mobile's location.
In order to detect interoperability problems caused by implementation
differences in SMLCs and mobiles, extensive lab tests using actual SMLCs and
expensive field trials are usually carried out. Now equipped with the new SSE,
the ULTS can emulate the function of a real-world SMLC in a lab environment.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10643.shtml
Posted to the site on 18-Feb-04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/