Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SMMT urges Government to allocate 24GHz radio frequency for road safety equipment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:41:25 -0500

SMMT urges Government to allocate 24GHz radio frequency for road safety
equipment

11th Febuary 2004

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) is urging government to
allocate the 24GHz ultra-wide short wave radio frequency for use by motor
manufacturers as soon as possible. Sensors using 24GHz monitor a car's immediate
surroundings, detecting objects, pedestrians and cyclists, warning of potential
collisions and helping to prevent accidents.

Manufacturers in the UK and across Europe have already developed collision
warning systems that rely on 24GHz. However, their introduction has been delayed
by the Radio Communications Agency (RCA), which believes there are possible
interference issues with current users, including radio astronomers and short
wave radio enthusiasts.

The SMMT points out that US Federal bodies have already reviewed interference
and compatibility issues and given their approval for automotive radar use. SMMT
believes the same approval should be given in the UK by the RCA to promote the
swift introduction of these life saving technologies.

SMMT chief executive Christopher Macgowan commented, “The government's Road
Safety Strategy aims to cut road
accidents by 40% by 2010. Key to achieving this target is the significant
investment manufacturers have made in
developing active safety systems that prevent accidents happening. Collision
detection sensors that use 24GHz wavelength
are an important part
of the package.”

 http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/industry_news/news-540jc23921
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/