Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ericsson Pushes Interoperable Push-to-Talk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:21:35 -0500

February 04, 2004

Ericsson Pushes Interoperable Push-to-Talk

By Mobile Pipeline News

Swedish telecommunications vendor Ericsson vowed Wednesday to make sure its
forthcoming push-to-talk (PTT) technology interoperates with PTT products from
other vendors.
Ericsson said in a statement that technologies like PTT can only become widely
adopted if they are interoperable.

"Interoperability is a prerequisite for rapid uptake of new services, and this
will help address that issue," Bo Bergstrom, Ericsson's vice president for
product strategy and portfolio management said in a statement.

Ericsson is preparing to deliver its Instant Talk PTT technology to phone
vendors including Sony Ericsson, of which Ericsson is a co-owner. The company
said it will test Instant Talk technology to ensure that it adheres to the
Push-to-talk over Cellular (PoC) interoperability standard that was approved by
a group of vendors last August.

It also said it will expand its program for verifying terminals using its
technology to include PTT. Instant Talk and the PoC standard are designed to
work on phones that use GSM-based technology, including GPRS, EDGE, WCDMA and
CDMA2000. Interoperability would mean that users of phones from different
vendors using different networks could still have PTT sessions.

http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=17601806

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/