Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC MOVES TO ALLOW MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR CONSUMERS THROUGH VOICE SERVICES OVER THE INTERNET

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:14:27 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:   NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
February 12, 2004     Michael Balmoris at (202) 418-0253
       Email: [email-masked]

FCC MOVES TO ALLOW MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR CONSUMERS THROUGH VOICE SERVICES OVER
THE INTERNET

In Separate Action FCC Rules that Pulver.com’s Free World Dialup Service will
Remain Free of Burdensome Regulation

 Washington, DC – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today initiated a
major proceeding to examine opportunities that allow consumers greater choices
created by voice services provided over the Internet.  It is also designed to
provide a measure of regulatory stability to the communications marketplace and
to further promote the development of these Internet-based services.

 The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (Notice) adopted today recognizes not only
that Internet services should continue to be subject to minimal regulation, but
also that mechanisms to implement important social objectives, such as public
safety, emergency 911, law enforcement access, consumer protections and
disability access, may change as communications migrate to Internet-enabled
services.

 Internet enabled communications services are different from the public switched
telephone network (PSTN) services on which the country has relied for its
communications services for more than 100 years.  The advantages of these
communications services include lower cost of communications, more innovative
services and features, greater economic productivity and growth, expanded
network redundancy and resiliency, and enhanced consumer choice.

 In connection with this proceeding, the FCC announced today that it will
initiate a Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement (CALEA) rulemaking
proceeding to address the technical issues associated with law-enforcement
access to Internet-enabled services.  That proceeding will address the scope of
covered services, assign responsibility for compliance, and identify the wiretap
capabilities required.

--  more  --

 In addition to seeking comment on the appropriate regulatory treatment of
Internet services, today’s Notice asks broad questions covering a wide range of
services and applications to differentiate between Internet services and
traditional telephony services and to distinguish among different classes of
Internet services.  Specifically, the Notice asks which regulatory requirements
– for example, those relating to E911, disability accessibility, access charges,
and universal service – should be extended to different types of Internet
services.  The Notice also asks questions on the legal and regulatory framework
for each type of Internet service and the relevant jurisdictional considerations
for each category.

Separately, the FCC also adopted a Declaratory Ruling stating that pulver.com’s
Free World Dialup (FWD) offering should remain free of unnecessary regulation
(see attached news release).

- FCC -

Docket No.: WC 04-36

Action by the Commission, February 12, 2004, by Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
(FCC 04-28).  Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy and Martin; with
Commissioner Copps concurring and Commissioner Adelstein approving in part and
concurring in part.  Chairman Powell and Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin
and Adelstein issuing separate statements.

Wireline Competition Bureau Staff Contact:  Russ Hanser at 202-418-1580.

News about the Federal Communications Commission can also be found
on the Commission’s web site www.fcc.gov.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/