Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Schwarzenegger appts. NYC OEM Guy

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:10:11 -0500

Subject: Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Francis McCarton Deputy
Director of Office of Emergency Services
GAAS:79:04

    For Immediate
Release:
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

    Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Francis McCarton Deputy Director of
Office of Emergency Services

    Governor Schwarzenegger today announced the appointment of Francis
McCarton as deputy director of the Office of Emergency Services.

    "Frank brings with him a breadth of knowledge based on years of
experience and service in the field of emergency services," said
Governor Schwarzenegger.  "I am confident that he will be a tremendous
asset here and will help to ensure California's preparedness to respond
to any emergency."

    McCarton has over 13 years of experience working in emergency
prevention and response. He most recently served as the deputy
commissioner for public information for the New York City Mayor's Office
of Emergency Management.  In this capacity, he served as the agency's
chief spokesperson and was responsible for all media inquiries
concerning operations, programs, initiatives and activations of the
emergency operations center.  McCarton coordinated and participated in
all media inquiries regarding operations during the attacks on the World
Trade Center on September 11, 2001.  From 1997 to 2000 he served as the
public information officer for the New York City Fire Department. His
experience also includes service with the New York City Emergency
Medical Services and the New York City Fire Department.  McCarton began
his career as a volunteer firefighter and rescue captain in New York
City.

    "I am honored that Governor Schwarzenegger has asked me to use my
background and experience in emergency response to serve in his
administration," said McCarton.  "After serving the people of New York
in a time of need, I look forward to serving the people of California
and ensuring the protection of the residents of this state."

    McCarton, 35, earned an associate degree in Business Management from
Nassau Community College and also attended the National Fire Academy in
Emmitsburg, MD.  He is certified in coastal storm preparedness and
hazardous materials handling.  This position does not require Senate
confirmation and the salary is $101, 573. McCarton is a Republican from
New York.

    The Governor's Office of Emergency Services is responsible for
assuring and coordinating the state's readiness to respond to and
recover from natural, manmade, and war-caused emergencies, and for
assisting local governments in their emergency preparedness, response
and recovery efforts.