Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Shelby Police Now Have Faster Access to Data on Suspects"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:45:01 -0500

Detroit News (02/03/04) P. 5C; Cardenas, Edward L.

"Shelby Police Now Have Faster Access to Data on Suspects"

Shelby Township's police department on Monday joined more than 140 other
agencies spread across six counties in southeast Michigan in getting connected
to the Courts and Law Enforcement Management Information System, which gives
officers real-time access to data about a suspect's criminal history and
outstanding warrants. In addition, the township has upgraded technology in squad
cards and police headquarters to allow officers to file reports and receive
information about calls they must respond to from their vehicles. "That keeps
our officers on the street where they are visible and, more importantly, closer
to those who call for help," explains Shelby Township Supervisor Ralph
Maccarone. Shelby's police department is now looking to upgrade its computer
system to spot trends by allowing officers to analyze data about crimes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shelby police now have faster access to
data on suspects
System should ease filing, dispatch
By Edward L. Cardenas / The Detroit News

SHELBY TOWNSHIP
— Residents in Shelby
Township can expect to
see more of their police
officers as the
department completes
technological upgrades
to its radio and dispatch
systems.
On Monday, the Police
Department got
connected to the Courts
and Law Enforcement
Management
Information System
(CLEMIS), which will
give officers immediate
access to information
about a suspect’s
criminal history and
outstanding warrants.
In addition to linking to
the network, Shelby
also has upgraded
technology in squad
cars and at police
headquarters to make it
easier for officers to file
reports and receive
information about calls
to which they must
respond.
“It will save valuable
time and will be aiding the officer on the street,” said Shelby Police Chief
Robert Leman, of the new system that replaces an outdated version. “The
officer’s job is information-driven, and this is going to enhance it.”

Shelby Township is the latest community to join the multiagency program that
started in Oakland County about 35 years ago. The entire system, with access to
crime databases, wireless data computers in police cars and computer-aided
dispatch, was to be fully operational Monday.

“I think it is great,” said Brent Fecteau, 56, a retired teacher who has lived
in Shelby Township for 25 years and believes this will help officers do their
jobs better. “If something goes wrong, they will be better able to be there.”

The upgraded system cost about $225,000, Leman said.  Shelby joins the 38 other
departments and public service agencies in Macomb County connected to the
information system and will use mobile computers in squad cars. There are more
than 140 agencies in six counties in southeast Michigan that use the system,
said Jamie Hess, a coordinator of the information system.  Before, officers
either had to write a report with pen and paper and submit it to their
supervisor or input the information on outdated equipment and take it to the
department to be downloaded.  Now, from the crime scene, officers can complete
their reports on an in-car computer and send it via a wireless connection to the
police station to have a supervisor review them. If it is approved, it can
immediately be downloaded to the department’s records bureau and CLEMIS.

“That keeps our officers on the street where they are visible and, more
importantly, closer to those who call for help,” said Shelby Township Supervisor
Ralph Maccarone.

Shelby also is on the cutting edge of technology by using a computer-aided
dispatch that automatically will assign officers to calls.  Sterling Heights has
had this information system for five months, and Chief Barnett Jones is finding
that police agencies are just beginning to scratch the surface of how technology
can be used to fight crime.  Jones wants to further upgrade his computer system
to spot trends by allowing an officer to take and analyze data about crimes in
the city and neighboring communities within 24 hours.  “We have long since known
that bad guys don’t stay in their own neighborhoods to commit crimes,” said
Jones, who would like to install a fiber-optic data transmission line to quickly
obtain information from the database in Pontiac.
Arlene Gillespie, 49, of Sterling Heights likes the idea of better police
technology, but she hopes the aim isn’t to profile a single group.  “I think
it’s a great idea, so long as they don’t pinpoint young kids,” she said.
You can reach Edward L. Cardenas at (586) 468-0529 or [email-masked].

http://www.detnews.com/2004/macomb/0402/07/c05-54254.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/