Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TTSL To Bring Push-to-talk Tech To India

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:16:10 -0500

TTSL To Bring Push-to-talk Tech To India

MAMUNI DAS

NEW DELHI:  What was available in the US only and that too with just one
wireless carrier — Nextel Communications — till about a year ago, will soon come
to India. Welcome to push-to-talk (PTT) technology, which brings in the two-way
radio functionality to cellphones. With PTT, callers do not need to dial a phone
number. They just need to push a single button on the cellphone to connect to
another group of cellphones. The connection happens instantly as with
walkie-talkies.

Tata Teleservices Ltd plans to launch PTT technology based services under its
Tata Indicom brand. The company plans to make available PTT-enabled mobile
handsets from Motorola and Kyocera to start with. “We have already tested the
technology within the company. We would test-launch with around 10,000
PTT-enabled handsets in one of the Indian cities. With this, five-to-ten
cellular users can be connected simultaneously,” said a company official at the
Supercomm India. The company is displaying its PTT-enabled handsets at the
exhibition.

Tata group chairman Ratan Tata at the Tata Indicom stall at Supercomm India
exhibition in New Delhi on Wednesday -Photo by Raaj Dayal
PTT enables group calling, that is one person can talk simultaneously to a group
of people by pushing one button. PTT handsets have one extra button as compared
to other normal cellphone handsets. With this, while one person talks, other(s)
listen. The turns to speak are granted by pressing the push-to-talk key on a
first-come first-serve basis. PTT talks can be one-to-one or one-to-many.
Benefits of PTT include instant contact, time saving and relatively lesser
charges.

Nextel Communications began licensing the technology to handset makers and
wireless carriers in 2002. Another major wireless carrier in the US, Verizon
Wireless, joined Nextel Communications in the second-half of 2003 in rolling out
the cellphone walkie-talkie service.

Sprint PCS and AT&T Wireless are reportedly set to launch the service in North
America. This January, Orange also announced that it will launch a service
similar to US-based PTT, in ten countries this year, starting with the UK and
France in 2004 in second quarter, according to reports.

Handset vendors including Motorola, Ericsson and Nokia are looking forward to
next generation multimedia messaging service (MMS) enabled handsets which will
have a PTT button. Nokia launched its PTT phones in the US this November.

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=51905
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/