Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CHAIRMAN POWELL AND ACTING ASSISTANT SECRETARY GALLAGHER MEET TO PLAN AND COORDINATE SPECTRUM POLICY

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:42:27 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                   News Media
Contact:
February 27, 2004                                        Lauren M. Van
Wazer (202) 418-0030

CHAIRMAN POWELL AND ACTING ASSISTANT SECRETARY GALLAGHER
MEET TO PLAN AND COORDINATE SPECTRUM POLICY

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Michael K. Powell and
Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and
Information Michael Gallagher today met formally to plan and coordinate
the efforts of the FCC and the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration (NTIA) on spectrum policy issues.  The
meeting included senior spectrum policy teams from both organizations.
Its purpose was to continue the coordinated efforts of the two agencies
on spectrum policy.  This meeting also fulfilled their joint statutory
obligations for spectrum allocation planning pursuant to 47 U.S.C.
Section 922.

FCC Chairman Powell said, “I am pleased that the FCC and NTIA, under its
new leadership team, are working closely on these increasingly important
and challenging issues.  This cooperation will better enable us to bring
the benefits of new and enhanced spectrum-based services to businesses
and consumers.  I look forward to working with Mike to achieve our
common goals.”

Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce Michael D. Gallagher said,
"Working with Chairman Powell and his fellow Commissioners, NTIA and the
FCC have delivered world-leading spectrum policy results for the
American people.  Cutting-edge spectrum policy means job creation,
economic leadership, and military strength.  Today's meeting laid the
foundation for the next round of spectrum successes."

The Communications Act assigns joint jurisdiction for spectrum
management to the FCC and the NTIA at the Department of Commerce.  The
FCC is responsible for non-Federal spectrum uses, e.g., broadcast,
commercial, public safety, and state and local government users, and
NTIA is responsible for Federal spectrum uses.

-FCC-
 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-244479A1.doc
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/