Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GSM's social impact -

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:06:58 -0500

GSM's social impact -

Global revenues attributable to GSM totalled US$277 billion in 2003
according to a newly published white paper from Deutsche Bank.  This
socio-economic study of the impact of GSM worldwide further forecasts
that GSM revenues will grow to half a trillion dollars in 2005.

The Deutsche Bank paper describes the evolution of mobile over the last
decade from a niche business to one of the largest and most important
industries in the world.

Beyond the basic financial boost provided by GSM to economies worldwide,
Gareth Jenkins, senior telecoms analyst at Deutsche Bank and lead author
of the report, highlights the impact GSM has had on real people's lives.
Perhaps the most far-reaching social consequences of GSM telephony have
been felt in emerging economies.

"The deployment of GSM has helped to bridge the digital divide and bring
modern telecommunications services to chronically under-served
communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America," said Jenkins.  The
report examines the impact that GSM can have in developing economies
through case studies on Nigeria and Afghanistan.

"It took telephone companies more than a century to install one billion
phone lines," said Rob Conway, CEO of the GSM Association and member of
its Board.  "GSM has connected its first billion users in just 12 years,
changing, improving and saving the lives of millions of people along the
way."

The billion GSM milestone is the central theme at this week's 3GSM World
Congress in Cannes where it is being celebrated by leading industry
players including the GSM Association, Alcatel, Ericsson, Motorola,
Nokia, Nortel Networks, Siemens, 3G Americas and the UMTS Forum.

"The key to the success of GSM is that its development was founded, from
the outset, on delivering a specific user benefit - international
roaming," stated Gareth Jenkins.  "International roaming demands an
open, future-proof standard to ensure interoperability while not
stifling competition or innovation among suppliers."

There are now more GSM mobile handsets in daily use than the total
number of personal computers and televisions combined.  Driven by GSM,
the number of mobile subscribers exceeded the number of fixed telephone
lines for the first time in 2003.  In the last twelve months alone, GSM
added nearly 198 million new users - more than the second placed mobile
technology (CDMA) had in its global customer base at the year-end.

"As we rapidly evolve towards a mobile wireless information society that
will bring about convergence of mobility and the internet, GSM is
continuing to play a crucial role in facilitating the smooth transition
to the next generation of mobile telecommunications services," concludes
Jenkins.

It is estimated that at least 85% of the world's next-generation
wireless customers will utilise the GSM family of technologies -
GSM/GPRS, EDGE and 3GSM - for both voice and data services.

"GSM's social and economic impact is unparalleled by any other form
of personal technology. The GSM family of second and third
generation mobile technologies also provides an exciting opportunity
for established and emerging economies with a strong track record in
software development to export innovative new applications to a global
marketplace." commented Jean-Pierre Bienaimé, Chairman, UMTS
Forum

Posted to the site on 25-Feb-04
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/