Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Subway cell phones to work to a T Port Authority works on wiring plan

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:31:35 -0500

Subway cell phones to work to a T Port Authority works on wiring plan
Friday, February 20, 2004

By Jan Ackerman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Port Authority's Downtown subway system is a bit of a black hole
when it comes to cell phone service.
It's a frustrating place for commuters, who when trying to make calls
from inside the tunnels get a "No Service" signal from their phones.

Henry Nutbrown, engineering-construction manager, said the authority is
working on a plan to install conduits and wiring in the subway tunnels
so that cell phones will work there.

Nutbrown said the technology would be similar to what the Pennsylvania
Department of Transportation used in the Fort Pitt and Squirrel Hill
tunnels.

"We have talked to a number of [wireless service] providers and are
working to come to an agreement on the money issues," Nutbrown said
yesterday at a committee meeting of the Port Authority board.

Nutbrown said the Port Authority also is attempting to reach agreements
with banks that would enable it to collect fees from them for the right
to install automated teller machines in the subway stations.

He said the authority still views the subway stations as ideal spots for
coffee shops, newsstands and flower shops. Right now, Cool Beans
operates a coffee shop at the Steel Plaza station, and the Port
Authority would like to get other businesses to locate in the
underground stations.

With the $363 million North Shore Connector project moving forward, the
Port Authority board will be asked to approve a resolution to continue
using Tri-Gold, a joint venture, to provide project management and
construction management services through March 2005. The contract
extension is not to exceed $3 million and the total paid to the firm
will not exceed $8.9 million.

The project will extend light rail service under the Allegheny River to
the North Shore. This would be the third extension in contracting
services for Tri-Gold, which has been working on the project for several
years.

Out on the light rail line in the South Hills, Nutbrown said, Stage II
improvements are moving forward.
He said a date hasn't been set for the opening of two new park-n-ride
lots along the Library line, the 286-space Lytle Road lot in Bethel Park
and the 430-space Simmons Park lot at the end of the line in South Park.

Nutbrown said electrical wiring has been upgraded at Washington
Junction, but electrical work still must be completed at the new
substation on Lytle Road so that two-car trains can start running on the
Library line for the first time.
Because of demand, the parking lots probably won't open until the line
can handle two-car trains.
Everything seems to be hinged on getting 28 new light rail vehicles into
service. The first vehicle is here and is undergoing testing and
modifications on the unused Drake Line.

The Port Authority expects a second vehicle to arrive next week. The
vehicles are being shipped from Spain and being assembled in Elmira,
N.Y. More than 20 other light rail vehicles are en route from Spain.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04051/275358.stm