Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ultra-Wideband: standards race nears end

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:00:26 -0500

Ultra-Wideband: standards race nears end

InSourced, UK - Feb 10, 2004

West Technology Research Solutions LLC, a market research firm focusing solely
on emerging
technologies, has released the new edition of their Ultrawideband market report
that includes an
in-depth analysis of the two groups vying for the IEEE UWB specification.

Ultra Wideband Ultra Wideband (UWB) devices can be used for precise measurement
of distances
or locations and for obtaining the images of objects buried under ground or
behind surfaces. UWB
devices can also be used for wireless communications, particularly for
short-range high-speed data
transmissions suitable for broadband access to the Internet.

"Our analysis demonstrates that the Multiband OFDM Alliance will likely win the
standards race in the IEEE 802.15.3a working group
because its main proponents have long planned for future integration of UWB into
cognitive radio architectures also preferred today
by the FCC," said Kirsten West, one of the principals of WTRS. "The opposing
group favoring direct-sequencing UWB (DS-CDMA),
led by Motorola, chose the short time-to-market solution that will enable them
to gain market share early in consumer electronics
applications, which explains the strong support from Japanese companies. The
DS-CDMA architecture in combination with a
Silicon/Germanium substrate is not today capable of integrating multiple radio
front ends. Not only is the Multiband OFDM
technology capable of this, it can also support the development of a
multi-protocol baseband architecture to support the utilization
of cognitive radio methodologies."

West maintains that in spite of these issues, market adoption of UWB will
proceed as previously forecast. WTRS estimates that,
given a 4% global GDP growth rate, annual shipments for Ultrawideband chipsets
into the communications segment alone will
exceed 63 million units by 2007.

Ultra Wideband radio is a revolutionary wireless technology for transmitting
digital data over a wide spectrum of frequency bands
with very low power. It can transmit data at very high rates (for wireless local
area network applications). Within the power limit
allowed under current FCC regulations, Ultra Wideband can not only carry huge
amounts of data over a short distance at very low
power, but also has the ability to carry signals through doors and other
obstacles that tend to reflect signals at more limited
bandwidths and a higher power. At higher power levels, UWB signals can travel to
significantly greater ranges. Instead of traditional
sine waves, ultra wideband radiobroadcasts digital pulses that are timed very
precisely on a signal across a very wide spectrum at
the same time. Transmitter and receiver must be coordinated to send and receive
pulses with an accuracy of trillionths of a second.
Ultra wideband can also be used for very high- resolution radars and precision
(sub-centimeter) radio location systems.

Intel has been working on UWB for some considerable time, along with many other
developers. But its history is much older than
some think. The first pulse based UWB radio was the Spark Gap radio. Spark Gap
radios were first developed by Guglielmo Marconi
in the late 1800’s and were used to transmit Morse code. Spark Gap technology
remained dominant until narrowband (continuous
wave) radios were proven to be better for voice communication in the early
1900’s. By 1924, Spark Gap radios were forbidden in
most applications due in part to their unregulated RF emissions that were
disruptive to narrowband, carrier based radios.
http://www.in-sourced.com/article/articleview/1298/1/1/

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/