Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pirate DJ admits to illegal radio station

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:44:17 -0500

Shropshire Star, UK - Feb 9, 2004
Pirate DJ admits to illegal radio station

A 25-year-old Wellington man today admitted managing and
operating a sophisticated pirate radio station which broadcast to
more than 4,500 listeners using a transmitter on the Wrekin.

Simon Langley, of Haygate Drive, Wellington, ran Dimension FM for
more than two years operating from various makeshift studios
around Telford, the town's magistrates heard at a hearing today.

The station was taken off air in September last year after officers
from the Department of Trade and Industry raided Langley's home
and a studio based on farmland in Wellington.

Lester Maddrell, prosecuting for the DTI, said officers had tracked Mr
Langley, who went by the name of DJ Spangles, for two years.

He said: "To run a pirate radio station like this requires organisation
and management. Studio equipment has got to be obtained,
schedules have got to be arranged and people have to be organised
to provide records.

"Mr Langley has been identified as the person responsible for that
management."

He said covert surveillance cameras placed by inspectors at one of
the station's early studios at the Manor Heights tower block in
Hadley, during 2002, had recorded Langley putting up radio
equipment. He was later seen tampering with radio equipment on the
Wrekin.

He said officers who raided Langley's home had uncovered a host of
radio equipment, computers and records used by the station.

Alison Downes, for Langley, said: "This was an enterprise which
started in the bedroom and snowballed.

"There was never any interference with emergency service
transmissions, there was no interference with aircraft signals.

"This was a non-profit enterprise and the DJs paid to help cover the
costs.

"It was a community station that filled a niche in the Telford area and
attracted more than 4,500 listeners to its broadcasts.

"When it was taken off air there was public outrage from a lot of
young people who stayed off the streets at weekends to listen to
their local radio station."

The case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report to be prepared.
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/publish/article_12377.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/