Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re:] Interstate calls, cell phones key issue in Giordano appeal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:31:28 -0500

As it happens, the outcome of this case will be of interest in the Europe
as well, particularly
with Roaming calls.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

RE:     [NEXTEL-1] Re:] Interstate calls, cell phones key issue in Giordano
appeal

I hope those involved in Criminal Law are watching this case. This is one
of the most
challenging criminal case the wireless industry has faced in a long time.
The debate over
if the federal government has jurisdiction to prosecute certain crimes
involving state-to-state wireline phone calls is nothing new, the twist
here is the calls
were made on the defendants Nextel cellphone.

Nextel's switch in White Plains N.Y. handles the majority of calls for NYC,
Westchester,
Connecticut and surrounding areas. The White Plains switched handled the
call made by the
defendant. The defendant unknowingly placed a local cellphone call that
traveled across
state lines and back to Connecticut.

If the defendant loses his argument in the 2nd U.S. Court of Appeals, the
U.S. Attorney
will now have another tool in their arsenal to combat crime. Combining this
ruling with the
RICO Act OC Perps will be falling left and right. Wireless carriers often
have switches
that cover several states. They are interconnected via T1's, DS3's, etc.
that can reach
even further since they are provided by others (Sprint, MCI, etc.)

Marcelrf wrote:

> Interstate calls, cell phones key issue in Giordano appeal
>
> Associated Press
> 02/02/2004
>
> HARTFORD — One of the most sordid trials in Connecticut history could
> turn on a rather mundane technical question: Is a local cell phone call
> really an interstate call?

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/