Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Village wants more say over antennas - Oak Leaves [02-04-04]

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:14:05 -0500

Village wants more say over antennas - Oak Leaves [02-04-04]

BY CHERI BENTRUP
STAFF WRITER

Oak Park trustees said they want a broad discussion about cellular
towers
and antennas in the village as they discussed, and ultimately approved,
installation of 12 cellular phone antennas on top of a condominium
building at
169 N. Grove Ave.

The board on Monday issued a special use permit to allow installation of
the
antennas. Trustees Robert Milstein and Galen Gockel voted against the
permit.

Health concerns of cellular towers and antennas prompted trustees to
consider
discussing the matter further at a study session.

"I have some concerns about this and think it would be good to have a
broader
policy discussion about it," Trustee David Pope said at Jan. 20 meeting.

Trustee Ray Johnson agreed that the board needs a broad discussion about

cellular equipment.

"I am all for a broader discussion and I think it will be beneficial for
the
community," ZBA member Steven Rouse told the board. He suggested a
separate zoning application for cellular equipment.

Village Attorney Ray Heise told trustees then that federal law prohibits

municipalities from regulating cellular towers.

Mike Bieniek, representing Nextel, told trustees the Grove Avenue
building is
the right height and location for Nextel's system. He said 2,739 Nextel
phones
are billed to Oak Park residential and business addresses, and 21,700
calls
are carried on Nextel's system through Oak Park.

Denying the application would be discriminating among cellular phone
providers, essentially controlling the local market, Bieniek said.

"You cannot do that," he added.

When voting Monday, Trustee Diana Carpenter said, "I think everyone at
this
table has a cell phone - yes."

http://archives.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/ppo-story/archives/localnews/2004/op/02-04-04-217370.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/