Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Taiwanese couple held in China for spying

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:55:41 -0500

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,235147,00.html

Taiwanese couple held in China for spying

BEIJING - China has detained a Taiwanese couple for spying, making them the
third in a string of espionage-related arrests on the mainland, state media
said yesterday.

Chang Hsu-min, 27, and his girlfriend Yu Shi-ping, 24, were arrested on Jan
13 for collecting missile intelligence in south-eastern Fujian province
which faces Taiwan, the Global Times reported.

The latest case came a month after the arrest of 24 other Taiwanese accused
by the Chinese of being agents, along with 19 mainlanders.

Chang and Yu, described as agents of the Taiwanese Military Intelligence
Bureau, were in Taiwan at the time of the December arrests. They were there
to report to their superiors, according to the paper.

Despite the increased danger, they were sent back to the mainland via Hong
Kong and were detained after just two days, it said.

'It's outrageous that the Taiwan intelligence service simply slipped them
into the opponent's pocket,' the paper commented. It published pictures of
the couple with their eyes blacked out.

News of the duo's detention followed reports in Taiwan media last week that
three other Taiwanese had been arrested in the mainland on suspicions of
spying on military installations, including Chinese missiles pointing in the
direction of Taiwan.

Reports have said the Chinese were able to track down the intelligence
operations after Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian gave the exact number of
missiles aimed at the island. -- AFP, Reuters

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/