Subject: [NEXTEL-1] House Government Reform to focus on WRC, spectrum issues

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:01:19 -0500

House Government Reform to focus on WRC, spectrum issues
By JEFFREY SILVA
February 18 13:59:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—A House Government Reform panel has plans to hold a hearing
March 16 on how U.S. policymakers
prepare and execute spectrum policy positions at World
Radiocommunication Conferences, the first of a series of
hearings in Congress’ investigation of spectrum management in this
country.

Rep. Christopher Shays (R-Conn.), chairman of the subcommittee on
national security, emerging threats and
international relations, will address WRC issues that also are at issue
in one of five spectrum probes being conducted by
the General Accounting Office. The House Government Reform Committee
requested the GAO reviews last June.

GAO, the official watchdog of Congress, has other investigations on the
National Telecommunications and Information
Administration’s relationship with the Interdepartment Radio Advisory
Committee; the role of federal advisory
committees that assist the Federal Communication Commission; public
safety radio interoperability; and the impact of
new technologies on spectrum management.

The House Government Reform Committee, chaired by Rep. Tom Davis
(R-Va.), plans another hearing in April on a broad
range of spectrum management issues.

This summer, in June or July, Rep. Adam Putnam’s (R-Fla.) subcommittee
on technology, information policy,
intergovernmental relations and the census, will hear from expert
witnesses on challenges hindering smooth wireless
communications among federal, state and local government agencies.

The House Government Reform’s spectrum management oversight is playing
out as the Bush administration separately
re-examines U.S. spectrum management in the United States, a subject of
increased controversy in recent years as a
result of high-profile spectrum fights between the wireless industry and
the Pentagon and growing demand for a finite
supply of frequencies. Recommendations flowing from the latter
initiative will be included in two reports delivered to
President Bush on May 29.

In addition to rethinking spectrum governance, U.S. policymakers have to
address how they plan to replenish the corps
of aging spectrum managers in government. An official at NTIA, a
Commerce Department arm that oversees federal
government spectrum and advises the president on telecom policy, said
the brain-drain issue likely will be addressed in
one of the reports to the president.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16951

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/