Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Long sought police radios finally arrive in Westport

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:18:57 -0500

Barrington Times, RI - Jan 29, 2004

Long sought police radios finally arrive in Westport

WESTPORT - After two years of waiting, Westport police finally have a new radio
system. The department went online with a new ultra high frequency, or UHF,
system on Friday, Jan. 23. The radios were partly funded through a Homeland
Security grant.
The Westport police union has been complaining for some time about radios that
didn't function. In some cases, the radios didn't work at all in certain "dead"
spots in town. There was also growing concern after an officer inside a building
couldn't communicate with another officer who was right outside.

Officer Michael Silvia tries out his new police radio. PHOTO BY RICHARD W.
DIONNE JR.

Police Chief Keith Pelletier said, "The new radio system is a positive step in
providing a safer working environment for the officers."
The new radio system was financed both from the police budget using money set
aside the previous year, and Homeland Security grant money. The grant money was
distributed by the state Executive Office of Public Safety.

The department purchased portable radios for each full-time officer plus five
spare radios for part-time officers on work details. Over the long term, the
savings to the community from the grant money is estimated at $600 per portable
radio, police said.
The Westport police union began pushing for functioning radios before September
11, 2001, but after the terrorist attack, their argument gained more force.

Earlier in 2001, selectmen allowed the formation of a police radio advisory
committee. Selectman James Long, a strong advocate for improved radios, was on
the committee.

One issue to resolve was where to locate a new cell tower for the police
repeater system, which transmits radio communications between officers. The cell
tower at the Hampton Inn was considered inadequate. After reviewing prospective
new sites, the police radio committee recommended using Mr. Long's property on
Route 177. Mr. Long said police could locate the new cell tower there at no
cost.

Police said the property, now called the Coastal Corporate Park Site, is high
enough above sea level to provide good reception.
The cell tower went up not long ago and the police repeater is now affixed to
it. Mr. Long plans to lease other parts of the cell tower.
Chief Pelletier said that, along with the new repeater site, the radio reception
will be improved because the frequency range was changed to UHF. The chief said
the new 400 frequency range is free from interference and offers a better
transmitting source.
The town's old system shared a VHF frequency with the town of Warren, R.I.
Westport police also often overheard radio messages from a trucking company in
the Northeast.

The new system is compatible with the fire department's radio system, which
police said will make it easier for them to communicate with each other. The
functioning radios will make it easier for police to communicate quickly after
observing a crime or accident.
Sgt. Jeff Majewski of the police officers union said figuring out what the
police department needed and coming up with the money to pay for it took a huge
effort. "It took a lot of hard work on the part of several individuals and it
finally paid off," Sgt. Majewski said.
By Peggy Aulisio

[email-masked]

http://www.eastbayri.com/story/42303201209830.php

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/