Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Telstra pushes to talk

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:33:30 -0500

Telstra pushes to talk
Chris Jenkins
February 20, 2004
TELSTRA is set to trial walkie-talkie style push-to-talk over cellular
mobile phone services and plans to have a commercial service in place by
June.

Telstra's trials will begin in March, with the carrier saying it had a
number of business customers willing to take part. Trials will test new
servers and push to talk handsets.

Push-to-talk allows mobile phones to be used in a manner similar to
two-way radios, providing instant connection without the need to dial.
However, unlike two-way radio, users must pay for airtime. In the US,
where carriers Sprint and Verizon have both launched push to talk over
cellular (PoC), users pay a set fee per month for unlimited push-to-talk
calls.

US carrier Nextel has provided a similar service since the late 1980's,
based on Motorola's iDEN standard.
"Push-to-talk is often used by business customers in the logistics and
transport sectors to disseminate or communicate time critical
information quickly and efficiently," Telstra technology innovation
group managing director Ted Pretty said.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8740729%255E15306,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/