Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: [WFHSG] Lucent Technologies receives advanced mobile

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:36:34 -0500

We will see MIMO in a consumer device in Q3 of 04 or early Q1 of 05

[email-masked] wrote:

> Lucent Technologies receives advanced mobile
> network contract from DARPA
>
> FOR RELEASE MONDAY FEBRUARY 09, 2004
> Bell Labs' innovations to enhance the capabilities of the U.S.
> military's communications
>
> MURRAY HILL, N.J. - The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
> has selected Lucent Technologies (NYSE: LU) to receive a one-year, $11.5 million
> award to research, develop and demonstrate an ultra-high capacity, highly-secure
> communications system for DARPA's Mobile Networked Multiple-Input,
> Multiple-Output (MIMO)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:30:36 -0500

MURRAY HILL, N.J. - The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
has selected Lucent Technologies (NYSE: LU) to receive a one-year, $11.5 million
award to research, develop and demonstrate an ultra-high capacity, highly-secure
communications system for DARPA's Mobile Networked Multiple-Input,
Multiple-Output (MIMO) program, also known as MNM. MIMO is a communications
technique that uses multiple antennas to send and receive wireless signals at
ultra-high speeds.

Bell Labs will use MIMO technology called BLAST (Bell Labs Layered Space Time),
to develop the world's first tactical, continually moving and self-forming MIMO
mobile network called "Packet BLAST." Packet BLAST will provide immediate and
substantial enhancements to the military's communications including vastly
expanded capacity within defense radio frequency bands; much higher data rate
communications in non-line-of-sight environments like urban areas and forested
terrains; and improved stealth communications to avoid detection and jamming
attempts by adversaries.

Bell Labs' Government Communication Lab (GCL) has developed numerous innovative
techniques to make this network a reality including: advanced MIMO algorithms
for high spectral efficiency, which provides more network capacity; MIMO ad-hoc
networking protocols, which enable the network to self-form as troops and
vehicles constantly move; and the associated technology for realizing MIMO in a
multi-function software-defined radio, which eliminates the need to carry
multiple radios that require different protocols to communicate.

"Packet BLAST is a prime example of how Bell Labs innovations can materially
enhance the U.S. military's network-centric capabilities through advanced
tactical communications," said Mike Geller, director of Bell Labs' Government
Communications Laboratory.  "Once we've proven Packet BLAST's abilities in the
field, we hope to apply this work to other Department of Defense (DoD) programs
such as Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) and Future Combat Systems (FCS)."

The overall program goal is to deploy the first MIMO-based mobile ad hoc network
showing a 20 times increase in spectral efficiency.  In late Fall 2004, Lucent
will deploy the network using 20 sport utility vehicles at the Naval Air
Engineering Station in Lakehurst, N.J. These vehicles will be fully equipped
with mobile communications gear that incorporates the Packet BLAST solution.
The Packet BLAST mobile radios will be subjected to constantly changing urban
and rural environments, as well as stress-inducing capacity demands.
"This significant contract underscores the commitment of Lucent and Bell Labs to
provide government customers with differentiated, deployable solutions for
addressing and solving the enormously challenging situations they face today,"
said Rick Miller, senior vice president, Government Solutions for Lucent. "We'll
continue to leverage our next generation products, services and cutting edge
technologies to design, develop and deploy revolutionary communications systems
in support of the needs of our defense and other government customers."

Lucent Technologies is leading this program and has established a best-in-class
team with immense expertise and experience in delivering DoD communications
systems and solutions. The following key sub contractors are joining Lucent in
support of this project: Boeing, Anaheim, Calif.; Lockheed-Martin, Moorestown,
N.J. and Gaithersburg, Md.; Rockwell-Collins, Cedar Rapids, Iowa;
BBN Technologies, Cambridge, Mass.; Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken,
N.J.; and Stow Research LLC, Flanders, N.J.

How BLAST Works

BLAST, a technology invented at Bell Labs, essentially exploits a theoretical
concept that many researchers believed was impossible.  In most wireless
environments, radio signals do not travel directly from transmitter to receiver,
but are randomly scattered in transit before they reach the receiver. But Bell
Labs' scientists theorized, and then proved, that it is possible to use signal
scattering to enhance, rather than degrade, transmission accuracy. Furthermore,
the researchers proved that it is possible to have several transmissions occupy
the same frequency band, thus spectrum is used very efficiently and with greater
capacity than using single channels. In addition, the use of multiple antennas
increases the rate of transmission in proportion to the number of antennas used
to transmit the signal, without requiring increased power.

About Bell Labs and Lucent Technologies

Bell Labs is the leading source of new communications technologies. It has
generated more than 30,000 patents since 1925 and has played a pivotal role in
inventing or perfecting key communications technologies, including transistors,
digital networking and signal processing, lasers and fiber-optic communications
systems, communications satellites, cellular telephony, electronic switching of
calls, touch-tone dialing, and modems. Bell Labs scientists have received six
Nobel Prizes in Physics, nine U.S. National Medals of Science and eight U.S.
National Medals of Technology(. For more information about Bell Labs, visit its
Web site at http://www.bell-labs.com.

Lucent Technologies designs and delivers the systems, services and software that
drive next-generation communications networks.  Backed by Bell Labs research and
development, Lucent uses its strengths in mobility, optical, software, data and
voice networking technologies, as well as services, to create new
revenue-generating opportunities for its customers, while enabling them to
quickly deploy and better manage their networks. Lucent's customer base includes
communications service providers, governments and enterprises worldwide. For
more information on Lucent Technologies, which has headquarters in Murray Hill,
N.J., USA, visit http://www.lucent.com.

For more information, reporters may contact:
Adam Grossberg
Lucent Technologies
(908) 582-7474 (office)
(917) 907-1144 (mobile)
Email:[email-masked]

Denise Panyik-Dale
Lucent Technologies
(410) 290-5572 (office)
(410) 215-4716 (mobile
Email:[email-masked]

 
Yahoo! Groups Links