Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Commission to consider cable tower

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:41:00 -0500

Posted on Thu, Feb. 12, 2004

Commission to consider cable tower

By SUKHJIT PUREWAL

[email-masked]

A proposal for an 80-foot wireless communications tower will be at the
center of a Marina Planning Commission hearing tonight.

Nextel Communications has proposed building a tower, disguised as a
tree, behind the former K mart building in the Marina Landing Shopping
Center at 158 Beach Road.

John Heiser, associate planner with the city, said Nextel needs the new
tower to deliver services to Marina residents.
Nextel Communications officials could not be reached Wednesday.

Although the proposed pole would be located within a clump of trees,
some residents fear the new pole would detract from the surrounding
view. And the city officials aren't happy that the proposed tower and
accompanying facilities shed would be within 55 feet of a residence on
Seaside Circle and close to the proposed library site in Locke-Paddon
Park.

When the matter was last before the commission and the City Council in
June 2001, city leaders suggested Nextel try to locate the tower among
the existing wireless communications poles nearby at 180 Beach Road.

Verizon and AT&T share a pole, while Sprint and Alpine PCS share a
second pole which is disguised as a pine tree.
According to a city report, a Nextel official claims that because of
frequency interference concerns, another pole can't be located within
the existing communications tower. The other problem for Nextel is
finding another property owner willing to lease property for a
communications pole, Heiser said. Right now, Nextel has assurances the
company can lease space for the tower.

The Sierra Club's Ventana chapter has given its approval for the city to
begin an environmental impact report for the tower to be built at the
158 Beach Road site.

The commission is not expected to make any decisions on the matter
tonight.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/local/7936430.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/