Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Homeland Security network starts

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:03:42 -0500

Homeland Security network starts
BY Diane Frank
Feb. 24, 2004

Today's launch of the Homeland Security Information Network represents
an important step for cooperation among federal, state and local
agencies, officials said.

The network expands the Joint Regional Information Exchange System
(JRIES), a network that many states have been developing with the
Defense Intelligence Agency for the last several years. By the end of
the year all 50 states, the top urban areas and the Homeland Security
Department will be connected through this secure network, said DHS
Secretary Tom Ridge.
Going from JRIES to the new network is "one of the most exciting things
that has happened, because we will have a direct link," said John Hager,
assistant to the governor of Virginia for commonwealth preparedness, one
of several state homeland security advisors at the launch.  "We've been
encouraging this for a while."

The new network should fit in well with the law enforcement information
sharing networks already in place throughout the states, such as the
Regional Information Sharing System, Hager said.

"This is another system that doesn't necessarily replace those systems,
but is complimentary," he said. "What matters to me with this concept of
intelligence sharing is the cooperation that's engendered by this
opportunity."

First responders can use the network for real-time collaboration, Ridge
said, speaking at the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Joint
Operations Center. "It is an important capability, but one that can be
expanded and improved," he said.
The network rollout has two phases. The first, to be finished by this
fall, will focus on connecting more than 300 state and local government
entities and more than 5,000 officials.  The second, scheduled for
completion by year's end, will collaborate on training and enhance the
network to handle classified information up to the secret level.

In the future, more cities, territories and other U.S. entities will be
included -- even the private sector, Ridge said. "It will be both user
friendly, and will be used by more of our friends," he said.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0223/web-hsin-02-24-04.asp

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/