Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EMF Health-effects Research

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:15:05 -0500

DNA damage in Molt-4 T- lymphoblastoid cells
exposed to cellular telephone radiofrequency
fields in vitro

Phillips JL, Ivaschuk O, Ishida-Jones T, Jones RA, Campbell-Beachler
M, Haggren W
Bioelectrochem. Bioenerg. 45:103-110, 1998

Molt-4 T-lymphoblastoid cells have been exposed to pulsed signals at cellular
telephone frequencies of 813.5625 MHz (iDEN signal) and 836.55 MHz
(TDMA signal). These studies were performed at low SAR (average = 2.4
and 24 microwatt/g for iDEN and 2.6 and 26 microwatt/g for TDMA) in
studies designed to look for athermal RF effects.

The alkaline comet, or single cell gel electrophoresis, assay was employed to
measure DNA single-strand breaks in cell cultures exposed to the
radiofrequency (RF) signal as compared to concurrent sham-exposed
cultures. Tail moment and comet extent were calculated as indicators of
DNA damage. Statistical differences in the distribution of values for tail
moment and comet extent between exposed and control cell cultures were
evaluated with the Kolmogorov-Smirnoff distribution test. Data points for all
experiments of each exposure condition were pooled and analyzed as single
groups.

It was found that:

1) exposure of cells to the iDEN signal at an SAR of 2.4 microwatt/g
for 2 h or 21 h significantly decreased DNA damage;
2) exposure of cells to the TDMA signal at an SAR of 2.6 microwatt/g
for 2 h and 21 h significantly decreased DNA damage;
3) exposure of cells to the iDEN signal at an SAR of 24 microwatt/g
for 2 h and 21 h significantly increased DNA damage;
4) exposure of cells to the TDMA signal at an SAR of 26 microwatt/g
for 2 h significantly decreased DNA damage.

The data indicate a need to study the effects of exposure to RF signals on
direct DNA damage and on the rate at which DNA damage is repaired.

http://www.electric-words.com/cell/abstracts/ph80069.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/