Subject: [NEXTEL-1] District of Columbia to Lead Nation in Public Safety Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:40:49 -0500

District of Columbia to Lead Nation in Public Safety Communications

Installing First of Its Kind Wireless Broadband Data
Network for Police, Fire Services

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The District of Columbia Office of the Chief
Technology Officer (OCTO) today announced the selection of Motorola and Flarion
Technologies to build a first in the nation public safety high-speed wireless
broadband data network.

"Our first responders give their all everyday; we owe them the best available
tools available to do the difficult job of keeping us all safe," said District
Chief Technology Officer Suzanne Peck.  "This is a major step towards delivering
critical information to police, fire, and emergency medical services workers
wherever they need it to safeguard our lives." The program includes
installation, testing, and operations of the network for a year.  The network
will use 10 transmission sites that provide citywide coverage for first
responders to access this new wireless public safety data network in the field.

"This network will enable significant new capabilities -- link hospitals and
ambulances with real-time video, download mug shots to officers in the field or
even convey the detection of a chemical weapons attack via wireless devices,"
said Peck.  She added "I'm pleased that we can now deliver broadband to our
first responders where it never before seemed possible.  The applications our
first responders have asked to support wirelessly are only the tip of the
iceberg.  Just as the Internet has matured into a powerful communications tool,
this network will serve as a catalyst for innovation." "Flarion is pleased to be
working with OCTO and Motorola in this very important technology initiative,"
said Ray Dolan, chairman and CEO of Flarion Technologies.  "Together, we will
deliver a broadband solution that is secure, spectrally-efficient and
affordable, providing our nation's first responders the tools they deserve."
The schedule is to have the initial installation completed by summer, and to
test the network for a period of one year following installation.

"Motorola is proud to be a part of this innovative broadband data network that
builds upon the success of the District's recent major upgrade to its public
safety wireless radio communications system," said Rich Baids, Motorola vice
president and general manager, Radio Systems Division.  "Motorola is pleased to
work together with OCTO and Flarion to deliver this cutting-edge high-speed data
solution that once again showcases the District's position as a national leader
in public safety communications.  This data network will serve as a model for
other public safety agencies."

Unfortunately, not all jurisdictions have the ability to install a broadband
network such as this due to the limited radio spectrum allocated to public
safety.  The District Government is a founding member of the Spectrum Coalition
for Public Safety, a national coalition of state and local governments formed to
secure nationwide spectrum in the 700 MHz band.  Peck added, "Our needs are not
unique.  Every first responder across the country requires access to
bandwidth-intensive applications anywhere.  Only Congress can allocate this
spectrum to our first responders.  If we miss this opportunity, public safety
communications will be hampered for decades to come."
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK3.story&STORY=/www/story/02-12-2004/0002108501&EDATE=THU+Feb+12+2004,+09:33+AM

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/