Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Air Force seeks industry proposals for JTRS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:38:11 -0500

Air Force seeks industry proposals for JTRS
BY Frank Tiboni
Feb. 13, 2004

The Air Force has released its request for proposals for the airborne and
maritime versions of the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS), a spokeswoman
confirmed.

Air Force officials want companies' proposals by late April for the Airborne
Maritime-Fixed Station (AMF) radio. The service plans to award in May contracts
to two companies or industry teams to design the radio during what the service
calls the pre-system development and demonstration phase, an Air Force statement
stated.

A formal request was issued for industry Feb. 6, Air Force 2nd Lt. Martha
Petersante said.
On Nov. 24, 2003, the Air Force and the Navy agreed to combine their JTRS
programs. "Overwhelmingly, industry feedback was that there would be at least an
overlap, if not a redundancy, if the two programs were kept separate," said Air
Force Lt. Col. Maryann Watson, AMF JTRS program manager, in the statement.

The service planned to issue the requests for proposals for the program Jan. 19,
but that was delayed so potential vendors could discuss teaming arrangements
because of the merger with the Navy's JTRS project, the statement said.

"This is a larger program now due to the merger, and our priority is to maintain
our original promise to the warfighter that was established within the separate
programs, while enhancing interoperability overall," Watson said in the
statement.

Air Force officials expect to choose a prime contractor by summer 2005 to build
and test the AMF radio for system development and demonstration, the service
statement states.

Lockheed Martin Corp.'s Integrated Systems and Solutions business unit, located
in Gaithersburg, Md., leads an industry team that includes BAE Systems, General
Dynamics Corp., Raytheon Co. and a division of Northrop Grumman Corp., said Thad
Madden, a Lockheed Martin spokesman.

Boeing Co. and another division of Northrop Grumman also plan to lead industry
teams in pursuit of the AMF contract, according to an industry official.

The military owns more than 750,000 radios of 25 makes and models, many of which
cannot communicate with one another. Military officials hope the new systems
will decrease those numbers and increase radio functionality with one radio that
will operate across the spectrum, from 2 MHz to 2 GHz.

JTRS devices will be defined largely by software, which should make updates
easier for new applications and allow radio casings to be used more than once.

 http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0209/web-jtrs-02-13-04.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/