Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Emergency alert system yields valuable lessons

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:25:31 -0500

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Emergency alert system yields valuable lessons
BY Brian Robinson
Feb. 23, 2004

Looking for trouble

Oregon's Regional Alliances for Infrastructure and Network Security
(RAINS) is an emergency alert system rather than a system for
cybersecurity alerts, but its chairman, Charles Jennings, believes there
are enough similarities that it offers some good lessons for those
building a national cybersecurity alert system, particularly from the
local perspective.

"The cyber world tends to be more heterogeneous than the emergency
management world," Jennings said. "Nevertheless, the range of systems
and requirements in both is equally broad. You need a level of alert
that is just right for a particular situation."
RAINS has been operating since August 2003 to link 911 centers with
public safety officials, schools, hospitals and others facilities in an
automated alert notification system. It has already processed thousands
of alerts.

One discovery early in the development process was that the idea of a
single network that could provide alerts "is an ivory-tower fallacy,"
Jennings said.

Instead, the system had to be able to communicate common information
while accommodating differences in the way participating agencies
operate and communicate internally.

To do this, RAINS uses the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP), which is an
open, nonproprietary data interchange format that can be mapped into a
wide range of information management and warning systems.

A base level of information relevant to all of the participants was
determined so they could be linked within the RAINS system.
"The baselines are such things as electricity, communications, the IP
[data network] layer, and then the applications and services that run on
top of that," Jennings said. "The cyberwarning system also needs to
understand that it should link back into these kinds of common systems."

Another lesson learned was that the whole development system leading to
those systems is a lot less predictable than people first expect,
Jennings said.

"You can't predict what it will be like. You need to do it and develop
the system along the way," he said. "And for that you need an
open-ended, highly flexible system."
http://www.fcw.com/supplements/homeland/2004/sup1/hom-programs3-02-23-04.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/