Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel "Running Scared"-Responds To Spectrum, DOJ issues.

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:50:38 -0500

Nextel "Running Scared"-Responds To Spectrum, DOJ issues.ent
Thursday February 26, 6:46 pm ET

The Following May Be Attributed All or in Part to Nextel Communications
Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL)
RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 26, 2004-- It is unfortunate that the
wireless industry, and in particular Verizon Wireless and Cingular, has
persisted in an absolute and unrelenting effort to put its own
commercial interests above the critical needs of Public Safety's first
responders and the Americans they serve.

Contrary to Verizon Wireless's specious and unfounded claims, the
Consensus Plan is a carefully considered proposal that has been
developed by and represents the needs of the Public Safety licensees
that operate in the 800 MHz band, including police, fire, EMS and
others.

For more than two years, CTIA, including its Bell-monopoly affiliated
wireless members, have indulged in bullying tactics and spent millions
of dollars lobbying to derail the Consensus Plan. They have pursued this
agenda while offering no alternative to solve public safety radio
interference and steadfastly working to divert attention from their own
well-documented contributions to the problems of public safety
interference. The failure to address this issue puts lives in danger
every single day. So, why do they continue to fight?

Statements of Fact
These are the facts regarding the Consensus Plan:

The Consensus Plan is the only plan that comprehensively and permanently
solves interference.

It is the only plan that entails no cost to the Public Safety community
or the American taxpayer.

It is the only plan that provides additional, critically needed spectrum
for Public Safety.
These are the facts regarding Nextel and the Consensus Plan:

The Consensus Plan, according to estimates filed with the FCC by Dr.
Kostas Liopiros of the Sun Fire Group, will cost Nextel $4.6B as
follows:

Nextel has guaranteed by upfront cash and irrevocable letters of credit
to cover the costs associated with retuning Public Safety so that it can
operate free from interference, as well as all other costs associated
with retuning and clearing spectrum.
Nextel is contributing 10.5 MHz of spectrum that it has acquired since
its founding. Nextel was not a beneficiary in the FCC's initial free
spectrum allocations to the Regional Bell monopolies.

Nextel is contributing 2.5 MHz of spectrum at 800 MHz, where Public
Safety currently operates and most needs additional spectrum and
adjacent to 700 MHz spectrum that has been promised by Congress to
Public Safety once broadcast relocates.

Nextel is contributing an additional 8 MHZ of spectrum, 4 MHz each in
the 700 MHz and 900 MHz bands.

In return, Sun Fire Group estimates that Nextel will receive value of
$3.5B in the form of 10 MHz of spectrum located at 1.9GHz.
Misrepresentations by Verizon Wireless

Contrary to Verizon Wireless' flawed assessment that the 1.9 GHz
spectrum is valued at $7.2B, the highest bid ever for 10 MHz of spectrum
at 1.9 GHz was $3.3B in 1999, which was never paid. The highest amount
ever received by the FCC for 10 MHz of spectrum at 1.9 GHz was in fact
$1B.

In sum, with regard to the Consensus Plan, it would provide substantial
and ongoing societal benefits in protecting the lives of our Public
Safety officials and the communities they serve, far outweighing any
potential costs of the plan.
Verizon Wireless' Representations Regarding the Department of Justice
Nextel has confidence that we have conducted ourselves appropriately,
and we are responding fully to the Department of Justice's request for
information. As the smallest and the only independent national wireless
carrier, Nextel will continue to compete strongly, without apology for
providing the gold standard for walkie-talkie service in the United
States.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040226/265886_1.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/