Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mottley: Wireless security for cops - Wednesday 18, February-2004

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:13:52 -0500

Mottley: Wireless security for cops - Wednesday 18, February-2004
Nation News, Barbados

The Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF) is getting an ultra-modern,
state-of-the-art telecommunications system.
Yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister and Attorney-General Mia Mottley told
the Houseof Assembly that once installed, the force would have
sufficient equipment to allow every officer on duty to be supplied with
a two-way radio.

Above that, she said, the equipment would be so secure that persons with
criminal intent would no longer be able to simply walk into a store and
purchase equipment to eavesdrop on police communications.

She made the disclosure while leading debate on a bill to approve the
borrowing of more than US$13.5 million from the Bank of Nova Scotia for
the purchase of the equipment.

Mottley explained that while the force had benefited from substantial
improvements to the infrastructure of police stations over the past
decade, one of the most pressing needs remained the acquisition of a
modern system of telecommunications.
According to Mottley, in today’s challenging society it was “absolutely
essential” to ensure that especially in cases of emergency, officers
were able to make contact with their stations and colleagues, and in
casesof national emergency there was adequate communication between
stations, as well as between the force and other agencies.

This, the minister of Home Affairs added, was of critical importance
since the police force constituted the nerve centre for agencies
involved in general security andthe maintenance of law and order.

Mottley told colleagues during the pre-lunch sitting of the House, that
over the last 18 months, authorities had been working with international
telecommunications equipment supplier, Motorola Inc. to designthe
Barbados package.

That package will include 150 mobile radios for cars and jeeps, 750
handsets for police officers on the beat, 17 fixed-base stations to be
installed in police stations and mobile posts, four motor cycle radios
and two special sets to link police directly with Coast Guard vessels.

She said that with this level of acquisition it would not be necessary
to send an officer on duty without the means to remain in contact with
his colleagues and station.

“We believe this will improve the level of safety of every police
officer on duty, since he will have immediate access to back up when he
needs it,” Mottley added.

According to the Attorney-General, proposals were received from a number
of banks, but based on the advice of the Ministry of Finance, the
decision was taken to go with Scotiabank.

The US$13.5 million loan will be repaid in 17 half-yearly instalmentsof
$750 000 overnine-and-a-half years.
http://www.nationnews.com/StoryView.cfm?Record=47365&Section=LO

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/