Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL - On Re: New Part 4 of the Commission’s Rules Concerning Disruptions to Communications

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:03:05 -0500

STATEMENT OF
CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL

Re: New Part 4 of the Commission’s Rules Concerning Disruptions to
Communications, Notice of Proposed Rule Making, ET Docket No. 04-35

 Our homeland security agenda begins with reliable telecommunications
infrastructure.  Today’s Notice would give us headlights on the road to
reliability.

 Numerous technological changes have occurred since the Commission
adopted its communications disruptions reporting requirements more than
ten years ago.  These changes have facilitated the rapid deployment of
new communications technologies and play an ever increasingly role in
providing important services to consumers, our military, and emergency
responders.

 Our outage reporting requirements have been directed primarily to the
telephone industry.  These reporting requirements have been successful
in permitting the causes of certain types of disruptions in telephone
networks to be identified and corrected. This, in turn, has permitted
organizations to develop "best practices" for use by carriers and
manufacturers in reducing the likelihood, and length, of network
outages.

 Today, we adopt an NPRM that proposes to streamline and apply our
disruption reporting to other communications providers including
wireless, cable, and satellite.  It is essential that they take into
account newly emerging forms of communications upon which we have become
so vitally dependent.  The timely provision of outage information by
multiple communications providers should provide sufficient information
to facilitate the prompt discovery of outage and reliability problems
that occur to communications networks.  In addition, such information
should further facilitate efforts by communications providers to
discover potential vulnerabilities in their systems.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-30A2.doc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/