Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UCAPD implements new emergency plan

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:04:53 -0500

UCAPD implements new emergency plan
by James Knight and Diane Drilling

(Web published 1/29/2004)

The UCA Police Department is implementing a new 800-megahertz communications
system funded by the Homeland Security Grant.
The grant will be used to make communication easier for the UCAPD to communicate
with other police departments in the city and county.

The new system will enable the UCAPD to communicate with the city of Conway and
the Faulkner County Sheriff’s Department.
“The new communication system enhances the ability to communicate with
neighboring police units, which in turn helped with the Detco emergency,” Major
Glenn Stacks said.

Officials have distributed information around campus about what students should
do in case an emergency happens on campus.
“We have distributed thousands of (Emergency Procedure guides) in the resident
halls and other areas on campus,” Stacks said.
In case of an emergency, a variety of methods would be used, including Conway’s
emergency sirens, Channel 6 news and the UCA radio station to inform students of
emergencies.

Also if needed, Channels 4, 7 and 11 could be notified.

According to the General Evacuation Plan, building alarms will sound and/or
notification will be given from the UCA police, building administrator or other
emergency officials or personnel or campus officials. Upon sounding of the
alarm, all faculty, staff, students and visitors are to immediately evacuate the
building when instructed to do so.

Students should evacuate at least 300 feet from the building or as directed by
emergency personnel and should not return to emergency areas unless directed to
do so by the UCA police, building administrator or proper authorities.

“In case of emergency, students should stay clear of emergency personnel and
vehicles,” Lt.  Larone Lowe said. “In the Detco explosion, we did not know the
kind of chemicals involved, and so it’s unsafe for people to stop or slow down
and try to figure things out. This is not the time for a question-and-answer
session.”

All terminal and monitoring systems dispatch the Conway Fire and Police
Departments in case of a fire and/or emergency.
UCAPD is the first responder onsite. The monitoring systems are operated 24
hours, seven days a week.
All police officers are also certified in CPR and know how to work the automated
external defibrillator.
The AED is used for heart attack victims. All officers must be certified every
two years.

Six UCA officers responded to the Detco explosion Jan. 7 as a part of the Mutual
Aid Agreement signed in 2001 by Faulkner County police chiefs.

The three units helped shut down Interstate 40 Exit 129 to Dave Ward Drive and
relocated traffic in an effort to help Conway police.
“We were worried about if anyone was hurt, because we saw smoke and wanted to
see if we could do anything to help,” Sgt. John Merguie said.

http://echo.uca.edu/story.asp?ID=10457&SID=1

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/