Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tricom Announces Sale of Its Central American Trunking Assets

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:50:34 -0500

Tricom Announces Sale of Its Central American Trunking Assets

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic, Feb. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Tricom, S.A. (NYSE: TDR) today announced that it has sold its Central
American trunking assets to a group of Panamanian investors for a
purchase price of approximately $12.5 million payable in stages.
Estimated net proceeds, after transaction expenses and liabilities
directly related with Central America, will total approximately $9
million. Receipt of a portion of the expected net proceeds is contingent
on satisfaction of customary closing conditions including all necessary
regulatory approvals. The sale also supports the Company's drive to
increase operating efficiency and improve its competitive performance.
"The sale of our Central American assets is part of our continuing
strategy to maximize and grow the value of our core businesses," said
Carl Carlson, Tricom's Chief Executive Officer. "This transaction
advances our objectives of focusing our efforts and resources on areas
with the greatest potential for long-term growth and to improve our
overall competitiveness." Lehman Brothers advised the Company in the
sale, which has been approved by the Company's Board of Directors. The
investor group has assumed ownership of all of the Company's assets in
Central America, which include Tricom's digital trunking network in
Panama, as well as the Company's radio frequency rights in Guatemala and
El Salvador.

About TRICOM

Tricom, S.A. is a full service communications services provider in the
Dominican Republic. The Company offers local, long distance, mobile,
cable television and broadband data transmission and Internet services.
Through Tricom USA, the Company is one of the few Latin American-based
long-distance carriers that is licensed by the U.S. Federal
Communications Commission to own and operate switching facilities in the
United States. Through its subsidiary, TCN Dominicana, S.A., the Company
is the largest cable television operator in the Dominican Republic based
on its number of subscribers and homes passed.
For more information about Tricom, please visit http://www.tricom.net

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/