Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hackers Delight At CTIA-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:50:58 -0400

AirDefense identifies security risks and network invasions

ATLANTA, March 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Touted as the largest wireless
conference, CTIA attracted leading wireless vendors to the Georgia World
Congress Center March 22-26 providing a breeding ground for wireless
interactions, security risks and network invasions.  AirDefense Inc.,
the leader of 24x7 monitoring of wireless LANs, conducted a study of
wireless LAN (WLAN) activity on March 23 identifying wireless attacks,
security vulnerabilities and performance issues.

AirDefense studied WLAN traffic flow at the conference over the course
of four hours.  AirDefense then analyzed the behaviors and associations
that resulted.  AirDefense found the following operating infrastructure:

-- 216 access points
-- 24 Soft APs, laptops that function as access points
-- 609 user stations
-- 969 BlueTooth devices
-- 42 ad-hoc networks, associations between two wireless devices without
connection to an access point

AirDefense analyzed WLAN activities and identified usage patterns,
network bottlenecks and problematic stations and access points that
could jeopardize the enterprise wireless LAN. The data further
illustrated excessive access points on the same channel causing
interference and performance degradation.  The majority of wireless LAN
activity at the tradeshow, as identified by AirDefense, was Instant
Messaging, e-mailing and web browsing.  In spite of the visibility of
security issues, less than five percent of the conference attendees
connected to their corporate email accounts via a secure virtual private
network (VPN) and less than 10 percent used encryption.  "The amount of
insecure communications over the air was overwhelming," said AirDefense
Chief Security Officer Richard Rushing.  "Attendees rushing to check in
with the office between sessions do not realize the ease with which a
hacker can lift usernames, passwords and confidential information simply
by having the attendees' laptop or PDA connect with his rogue AP.  What
is more interesting is the data we collected was from a show where
people are supposed to be security conscious, proving that, even in a
well-trained world, security risks and theft will and do occur."

AirDefense research found numerous risks and threats including:

-- 25 identity theft attacks on the T-Mobile and Cisco sponsored Hotspot
whereby intruders were stealing the identity of unsecured users to
connect to the network without being charged

-- 246 network scans from tools such as Netstumbler and operating
systems like Windows XP

-- 126 user stations sending out unanswered probe requests

-- 45 specific scans to compromise Hotspot network

-- Six Denial of Service attacks

-- AirSnarf, a SoftAP setup utility impersonating the Hotspot that
steals usernames and passwords

-- 48 BlueSnarf, a tool to connect to an unsecured device to gain access
to restricted portions of data

-- 393 BlueJack attacks including the sending of "MyDOOM," "Your Cute"
and "You Have WON" viruses

"Sharing information such as this should alert companies to the need to
protect their wireless and ultimately wired side data," said Anil
Khatod, chief executive officer of AirDefense.  "With the industry's
only extensive solution for real-time wireless LAN monitoring, only
AirDefense could provide this level of insight into WLAN usage patterns
and security risks."
About AirDefense, Inc.

AirDefense is the thought leader and innovator of wireless LAN security
and operational support solutions. Founded in 2001, AirDefense pioneered
the concept of 24x7 monitoring of the airwaves and now provides the most
advanced solutions for rogue WLAN detection, policy enforcement,
intrusion protection and monitoring the health of wireless LANs. As a
key element of wireless LAN security, AirDefense complements wireless
VPNs, encryption and authentication.  Based on a secure appliance and
remote sensors, AirDefense solutions scale to support single offices,
corporate campuses or hundreds of locations. Blue chip companies and
government agencies rely upon AirDefense solutions to secure and manage
wireless LANs around the globe.  For more information, go to
http://www.airdefense.net .

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-30-2004/0002137470&EDATE=

SOURCE AirDefense Inc.
Web Site: http://www.airdefense.net

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/