Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bloomberg Plans Overhaul of Creaky 911 System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:08:39 -0400

April 13, 2004
Bloomberg Plans Overhaul of Creaky 911 System
By JIM DWYER and EDWARD WYATT

NYT

ne summer day in 1968, Mayor John V. Lindsay, declaring that he was at
"perhaps the most important event of my administration," picked up a
telephone at police headquarters and made a ceremonial call to a
three-digit number, 911. The call did not go through, so the mayor
dialed again. Then again. Finally, someone realized he was using an
inside phone line, and pushed a button. With that, the mayor managed to
complete the call, and officially launch the city's 911 line.

Last year, New Yorkers dialed 911 an average of 23 times every minute,
using a simple phone number now chiseled into public vocabulary, habit
and expectation. Yet the 911 operation that grew since Mr. Lindsay made
those first calls is less a seamless network of police, fire and
ambulance services than a brittle contraption - fragmented,
uncoordinated, and in parts, dangerously obsolete and vulnerable,
according to city and emergency response officials.

Now, with little attention, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has ordered a
major overhaul of 911 in hope of making it faster, smarter and safer.
New Yorkers have been paying telephone surcharges to improve 911 since
1992, but audits, legislative investigations and mayoral studies all
have come to the same conclusion: the city has little to show for the
money from those charges, which now totals $281 million.
Callers to 911 often must provide the same details twice, an exercise in
delay that can be followed by a deluge of rescuers, even when only a few
are needed. Sending too many people saps resources that may be needed
elsewhere, according to a mayoral task force, but no single person or
computer tracks all the help available in a neighborhood.

Police computers automatically display the addresses of 911 callers, an
unremarkable function in the digital age. Fire dispatchers, however,
cannot see that information. Strict divisions of turf among the
emergency agencies, dating to the 19th century, endure in the
incompatible dispatch systems of the 21st.

Not only do the emergency agencies have separate dispatchers using
different computers, but they also work in buildings miles apart. So
isolated are the dispatchers - geographically, technologically and
managerially - that they must, at times, dial 911 themselves to
communicate across agency lines.

"If the fire dispatchers need to contact the Police Department, they
actually have to dial back into 911," said Lawrence Knafo, first deputy
commissioner of the city's Department of Information Technology and
Telecommunications.

With each chamber of the 911 system that a call passes through, the
chances for failure multiply, the mayor's task force has found. The
structure creates risks that some or all of the system could shut down,
the officials say, as was the case last month, when callers from
Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island could not reach 911 for two hours.

Mr. Bloomberg plans to consolidate the city's eight dispatching
operations physically and virtually, bringing all the services into two
identical centers working on the same computer system. This is an
undertaking of vast technical complexity and political delicacy that
frustrated Mr. Bloomberg's immediate predecessor, Rudolph W. Giuliani,
who tried versions of it during his eight years in office.

Launching 911 may have been among the most important events of Mr.
Lindsay's administration; fixing it could prove one of the most
difficult of Mr. Bloomberg's.

"The world continues to get more complicated, but responding to
emergencies quickly and with the right resources still makes the
difference when lives are at risk," Mr. Bloomberg said through a
spokesman. "So whatever we can do to integrate and streamline our
dispatch systems will only protect the people of New York."

No one disputes that 911 is a rickety gateway, but it now handles
roughly 12 million calls a year. The system serves powerful forces on
both ends of the phone line: the people who dial in seeking help, and
the city's public safety agencies, which employ about 60,000 people.

"On its face, this is the most sensible idea," Fire Commissioner
Nicholas Scoppetta said. "It will centralize the services and give us
backup in case something happens."

A vocal critic of the approach, however, is David Rosenzweig, a veteran
fire dispatcher and the president of the dispatchers' 170-member union.
He contends that the plans will make matters worse and suggested that
the mayor wanted a ribbon-cutting on a public safety project before next
year's election.

"The system is not configured to provide firehouses with the information
that they get now," he said. "It most likely will increase the response
time and jeopardize lives."

That will not happen, said the commissioner of the Department of
Information Technology and Telecommunications, Gino P. Menchini, who is
overseeing the consolidation. "We're not going to introduce risks or
vulnerabilities," he said. "If David is saying this is a political
thing, I don't think he's right."

Mr. Menchini said he was conscious of the strengths and expertise on
which the current 911 operation rests, but that the shortcomings were
patent. He and his senior aide, Mr. Knafo, outlined the path a typical
call followed to report a heart attack.
At the main 911 center in downtown Brooklyn, a police operator asks the
location of the emergency, its nature and the name of the person
reporting it. The call is then transferred to the Emergency Medical
Service in another building. There, a second operator swaps badge
information with the first one, once again solicits basic information
from the caller, then tries to determine how serious the problem is. The
E.M.S. operator writes a computer message to an E.M.S. dispatcher, who
usually sends two ambulances, one staffed with a crew capable of
advanced life support techniques. (If the patient is not seriously ill,
the advanced crew can leave.)

In the meantime, a message from the original police operator prompts the
dispatch of a car with two officers. They can help gain entry to a home.

The E.M.S. operator also alerts the Fire Department, which often has
companies available for quick response. Each engine carries five
firefighters trained in emergency first aid. That would bring 11 people
from three agencies to the scene, Mr. Knafo said. And those 11 might be
joined by a police sergeant with a driver, an E.M.S. supervisor, or a
pair of officers from the police Emergency Service Unit. A volunteer
ambulance corps could also respond.

Although the Fire Department took control of the Emergency Medical
Service in 1996, the two agencies still work on different dispatch
computers. The Fire Department system was developed in the 1970's and
remains essentially unchanged; in 1999, the department aborted a planned
upgrade after investing seven years and at least $8 million, saying that
it had been unable to integrate its system with that of the E.M.S.

During the same time, the Police Department spent $13 million on a
computer-assisted dispatch system, but it, too, was never installed
after delays and disputes with its contractor. Another Police Department
plan, to build a duplicate 911 center, was promised by the Giuliani
administration but not delivered.

A 911 surtax on phone bills, which began in 1992 at 35 cents and
increased to $1 last year, has raised $281 million, according to a
senior analyst with the city's Independent Budget Office, Bernard
O'Brien. Of that, $115 million has been spent so far on 911-related
capital projects. Even so, New York, once a pioneer in 911, lags behind
Chicago, Houston, and Los Angeles in its technology.

Until 1996, the Chicago system closely resembled New York's, with
dispatchers based in three locations and unable to share information.
Now, all the dispatchers work in a 15,000-square-foot room on a common
computer system that can instantly display information in police cars
and fire trucks. The operation is run by one city agency rather than by
the individual uniformed services.

In New York, Mr. Bloomberg moved to unify the system when he realized
that the city's public safety agencies had each made separate proposals
to improve their dispatching systems, at costs that would reach into the
hundreds of millions of dollars, according to Mr. Menchini. He likened
the proposals to "paving the cow path," or simply building a new road
atop an old one, with no consideration of alternative routes. The new
investments would have fortified the isolation of the agencies for years
to come.

"The mayor was really troubled that there was no move into integration
and interoperability," Mr. Menchini said. "You have systems that reflect
the way things always have been done, not the one that might make sense
for the 21st century."
Yet Mr. Rosenzweig contends that the system's problems could be solved
for much less than what the city will spend, which he suggests will
approach $1 billion.

A spokesman for Mr. Bloomberg did not dispute the billion dollar
estimate, but said hard numbers were not available. In any case, Mr.
Menchini says, the proposals from the individual agencies, providing no
integration, are likely to cost the same or more than the new approach.

Last spring the mayor assigned Mr. Menchini, who oversaw the creation of
the city's 311 number for non-emergency calls, to broker a master plan.

Two events accelerated the work. The first was the August blackout,
which showed that uncoordinated efforts delayed response, especially
when calls overloaded 911, according to a report prepared for the mayor.
The second event was the loss of the 911 system to parts of the city on
March 26, when a Verizon technician mistakenly reprogrammed a telephone
exchange in Brooklyn. For about two hours, people calling 911 in
Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island were met with a busy signal.
Mr. Menchini said other vulnerabilities exist because of the route that
calls follow, from the two 911 centers operated by the Police Department
in Lower Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn, then back out to dispatchers
for each agency.

The fire dispatchers have bases in all five boroughs; E.M.S. has one in
downtown Brooklyn. As calls are routed between those points, they pass
through miles of cable and multiple switches, each a potential "point of
failure," Mr. Menchini said.
Mr. Rosenzweig argues that by dispersing the system so widely, the city
has backups in case disaster strikes in one area. The fire dispatch
centers are directly linked to street fire alarm boxes, and those worked
during the 911 failure. The only serious fire during those two hours was
reported through a street alarm box.

Under a consolidated 911 system, Mr. Menchini said, the city is likely
to preserve fire alarm boxes, and he says that the duplicate call center
will be in a secure facility, on a separate power grid, and with easy
access to mass transit for employees.
Some city officials see Mr. Rosenzweig's criticisms as reflecting his
concern that the favorable position his union members enjoy could be
jeopardized. Fire dispatchers work at bases in city parks, are the
highest paid, but get the fewest calls.

True, Mr. Rosenzweig says, but he notes that the Fire Department
provides the quickest response, arriving five minutes or less 97 percent
of the time, and that its dispatchers pass a stringent civil service
test. The E.M.S. dispatchers are emergency medical technicians who stay
on the phone and provide first aid instructions until help arrives. The
people with the highest work load - the operators who take the 911 calls
- work for the Police Department and are the lowest paid of the system
employees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/13/nyregion/13EMER.html?ei=5062&en=66e17e6b0d99b776&ex=1082433600&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/