Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sheriff's Office of Charles County, Maryland

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:29:48 -0400

Charles County Sheriff's Office Counts on XcelleNet and Vytek to Secure
Mobile Devices and Meet
Maryland State Compliance Mandate

Frontline Technology from XcelleNet and Vytek Mobilizes Paper-Based
Field
Information Report Process, Saves Officers Time and Securely Increases
Access
to Critical Information

ATLANTA, April 1 /PRNewswire/ -- XcelleNet, Inc., the leader in
management
solutions for the front lines of business, and Vytek, a global provider
of
innovative technology solutions, helped the Sheriff's Office of Charles
County, Maryland successfully deploy a frontline management solution to
replace a time consuming, paper-intensive Field Information Report
process.
Charles County's 250 officers in the field now electronically record
incident
report information at the scene using iPAQ Pocket PC devices. At the end
of a
shift, information on the device is electronically synched to a
centralized
database, replacing what was once an archive of 16,000 paper reports.
In 2002 the State of Maryland issued a mandate against racial profiling,

requiring all state law enforcement agencies to collect certain data at
all
traffic stops, including race, gender, location and time of incident. At
the
end of the year, each state law enforcement agency had to compile one
report
out of thousands of traffic tickets. This report was then submitted to
the
Maryland Justice Analysis Center for review. Before deploying the joint
XcelleNet and Vytek solution, the Charles County Sheriff's office
employed a
full-time administrator tasked with compiling and submitting this data
to the
state.

"The data traffic program we developed with XcelleNet and Vytek has
become
a model in the state of Maryland-we're frequently asked to speak about
it to
other departments," said Charles County Sheriff Frederick E. Davis. "You
can
just imagine how time consuming it was to hand search some 16,000 paper
documents to find the information the state requires us to report under
this
mandate.  The improvements in our process are so dramatic, I do not
think we
can even measure how much time we have saved by electronically capturing

data."

Security & Manageability on the Front Lines of Law Enforcement
In order to confidently issue each officer an iPAQ, officials had to
first
account for two primary concerns: security and manageability. First,
Charles
County needed the assurance that the devices would be secured to protect
the
privacy of the victim and the investigation proceedings.  They needed a
plan
to secure information if a device was lost or stolen. XcelleNet met this
need
by providing the ability to remotely lock down a stolen device or
completely
wipe it of information. Similarly, XcelleNet enables the Charles County
Sheriff's IT staff to restore information to a new replacement device or
a
device with a dead battery.

Second, the new mobile system had to be easy to use and maintain.
Officers
could not get bogged down by complex technology or complicated processes
to
keep their devices up-to-date with necessary applications and settings.
Each
time an officer docks an iPAQ at the end of the shift, information is
uploaded
to a centralized database. In addition, software updates are
automatically

pushed out to the device freeing the officers from the burden of
technical
maintenance.

"The Charles County Sheriff's Office system is a text book example of
the
benefits that can be achieved with the latest frontline management
solutions,"
said Joan Herbig, CEO of XcelleNet. "It engages workers to make them
more
effective, it enables managers to see what is going on in the field so
they
can make informed decisions and it drives consistent actions. This is
just one
example of how XcelleNet's technology has helped public safety
organizations
around the country increase their efficiency and empower officers with
information they need where and when they need it."

About Vytek Corporation

Headquartered in San Diego, California, Vytek is a global provider of
innovative technology solutions that empower our global Fortune 1000
customers
to access their information or content anywhere, anytime. These
solutions are
delivered through our senior consultants and experienced engineering
teams
providing business strategy and technology assessments, integrated
hardware
and software development, and most importantly, a single point of
accountability, all to enable pervasive computing. Vytek has offices in
nine
cities across the country and serves international customers as well.
For more
information, please visit http://www.vytek.com .

About XcelleNet

XcelleNet delivers success at the Point of Action. More than 2,500
companies worldwide use XcelleNet's frontline management solution to
keep
information and applications current wherever business takes place-in
retail
stores and branch offices, at customer sites, and in the field. With
XcelleNet
software solutions, business can see and direct its frontline
activities, IT
can manage any platform in the field from a browser, and end users can
enjoy
unparalleled reliability of the solutions on which they depend. To
deliver the
total solution, XcelleNet partners with global leaders such as
Microsoft, HP,
and Palm. XcelleNet's Afaria and RemoteWare products, along with its
consulting and education services, enable companies to manage the data,
applications and hardware that keep the front lines working. For more
information, including case studies on successful customers like
Novartis and
Blockbuster, visit http://www.xcellenet.com .

XcelleNet and Afaria are trademarks of XcelleNet, Inc. XcelleNet makes
no
claims of ownership to all other products and company names mentioned
herein
which may be the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective

owners.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/