Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police lose bombing suspect in Tube chase

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:02:54 -0400

5/04/04 - London news section

Police lose bombing suspect in Tube chase
By Sabi Phagura, Evening Standard

A suspected suicide bomber escaped on the Tube because pursuing
officers lost radio contact underground, it has emerged.

Scotland Yard officers privately fear they cannot properly protect
civilians because police radios do not work on the network.

The man was followed after a tip-off that he was going to blow
himself up at a Burger King in Leicester Square.

Police managed to track him down as he entered a Tube station.

But they lost track of him and were unable to radio colleagues to
guard the exits at other stations.

The suspect, an Asian man, was eventually caught and turned out
not to be a suicide bomber.

But officers said that if the incident, last October, had been genuine
the consequences would have been catastrophic.

The radio problem was identified three years ago.

Police are told to wait for London Underground staff, who are
equipped with working handsets.

Richard Barnes, of the Metropolitan Police Authority, said: 'I've been
trying to get something done about this for years.

'I find the situation incredibly worrying.

'To have police officers deep underground where they cannot even
talk to each other at either end of the station is a major issue.

'This is part of the preparedness of London for a terrorist incident.

'The one thing you have got to have as a front-line rescue service is
a communication system that works.

'You have to be able to talk to each other, or you could be directing
more people into danger.'

Sir Ian Blair, the Met's Deputy Commissioner, has raised the issue with
David Blunkett but the Home Office argues that London Underground
should pay for the equipment. Tube bosses disagree.

Meanwhile, police have been given until tomorrow to question eight
men arrested in Britain over a suspected Al-Qaeda bomb plot.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/10090976?source=Evening%20Standard

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/