Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC ADOPTS RULE CHANGES FOR IMPROVED RADIO FREQUENCY IDENTIFICATION SYSTEMS TO FACILITATE HOMELAND SECURITY EFFORTS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:25:15 -0400

FCC ADOPTS RULE CHANGES FOR IMPROVED RADIO FREQUENCY IDENTIFICATION
SYSTEMS TO FACILITATE HOMELAND SECURITY EFFORTS

April 15, 2004

Washington, D.C. -

In an effort to increase homeland security and improve the efficiency
of commercial shipping operations, the Federal Communications
Commission today adopted a Third Report and Order (Order) that allows
for the operation of improved radio frequency identification (RFID)
systems for use in conjunction with commercial shipping containers.

This action is expected to result in lower shipping costs and improved
security at ports, rail yards and warehouses in commercial and
industrial settings by enabling the contents of containers to be rapidly
inventoried. These improvements will also help system users determine whether
tampering with their contents has occurred during shipping.

RFID systems use radio signals to identify items.  Uses of RFID include
electronic toll collection such as the E-Z Pass system and anti-theft
tags.
An RFID system consists of a tag mounted on the item to be identified
and
a device that receives information transmitted from the tag.

The Commission's rules permit RFID systems to be operated on a number
of frequency bands, subject to limitations on their maximum signal level
and
transmission duration.  These limitations constrain the range and
information
transfer rates of RFIDs.

The Order increases the maximum signal level permitted for RFID systems
operating in the 433.5-434.5 MHz band to facilitate more reliable
transmissions
with greater range than the rules previously allowed.  The 433 MHz band
is
available for unlicensed operation in many countries around the world,
thus
enabling manufactures to produce a single model of a device for use in
both
the United States and other countries.

The Order also increases the maximum permitted transmission duration for
these RFID systems from one second to 60 seconds, resulting in a
sixty-fold increase in the amount of data that can be transmitted, thus
facilitating the scanning of the contents of an entire shipping container.  To minimize
the risk of interference to authorized communication services, operation of RFID
systems with higher power and longer transmission duration is limited to
commercial shipping containers in commercial and industrial areas.

Action by the Commission April 15, 2004, by Third Report and Order
(FCC 04-98).

Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein.
Statement by Chairman Powell.

Office of Engineering and Technology contact:  Mr. Hugh L. Van Tuyl
(202) 418-7506, e-mail [email-masked]

ET Docket No. 01-278

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-246145A1.doc

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/