Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NTIA Report Lays Groundwork for Responsible Deployment Of Broadband Over Power Lines (BPL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:58:38 -0400

NTIA Report Lays Groundwork for Responsible Deployment Of Broadband Over
Power Lines (BPL)

Answers President’s Call
for New Broadband Technology Standards

April 27, 2004

A report issued today by the Commerce Department's
National Telecommunications and Information Administration
(NTIA) examines the potential interference to federal radio
systems that could result from the deployment of broadband
over power lines (BPL).

The report concludes that “rigorous technical solutions” would
protect critical federal systems and enable BPL to realize its
promise as the “third broadband wire into the home.”

“Yesterday, President Bush called for ‘technical standards to
make possible new broadband technologies, such as the use
of high-speed communication directly over power lines’,” said
Acting NTIA Administrator Michael D. Gallagher. “Today, NTIA
is meeting that challenge by providing the technical foundation
for the responsible deployment of broadband over power lines.

BPL has the potential to turn every electrical outlet into a
broadband pipeline. Establishing responsible ground rules that
address radio frequency interference concerns is a critical
component of meeting that promise.”

There are 59,000 federal radio frequency assignments in the
affected bands of spectrum between 1.7 and 80 MHz. These
frequencies provide multiple services including: fixed, mobile,
radio astronomy, radar, and broadcasting. The NTIA report,
which analyzed 10 million measurements of BPL systems,
suggests mitigation techniques to protect these critical government
radio systems. Among the solutions proposed in the report are:
a notch solution for the most sensitive and severely impacted
systems; local registration of BPL frequency use; intelligent power
management; and the use of a Web-based interface for potentially
impacted parties.

NTIA will complete a Phase 2 study later this year that will assess
the potential interference risks due to aggregation and ionospheric
propagation of interfering signals from BPL systems; refine and apply
BPL deployment models; and evaluate the effectiveness of proposed
Part 15 measurement techniques.

NTIA filed its report with the FCC in connection with a proceeding
to amend the FCC’s Part 15 Rules to allow broadband to be deployed
over power lines.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/press/2004/bplrelease_04272004.htm

As previously Noted: The report is available on the NTIA Web site at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fccfilings/2004/bpl/index.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/