Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Puerto Rico Gets PTT

From: marcel_rf1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:18:39 -0000

Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico awards Starent Networks 3G network 
contract
March 30, 2004

Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico has selected Starent Networks' next 
generation packet gateway as a key component in its Express Network 
deployment, a CDMA2000 1X high-speed data network.

The deployment of the Starent ST16 Intelligent Mobile Gateway will 
provide Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico with market leading throughput, 
simultaneous sessions, and call events per second that in turn offers 
their subscribers exceptional quality and reliability for an emerging 
data services market. The operator will deploy the ST16 as a Packet 
Data Serving Node (PDSN) and Home Agent (HA) to provision high-speed 
data services for corporate and individual subscribers. Services 
enabled by the network include: Internet browsing, Brew, Push to Talk 
(PTT), and Mobile IP (MIP) for VPNs and roaming partners.

"We are committed to delivering the best network with the best end-to-
end experience for our subscribers," said José Guzmán, director of 
wireless network operations for Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico. "With 
this focus, we set out to select the best network products available 
on the market. The Starent Networks solution clearly met our 
criteria." 

Enhanced Charging Service

The Starent ST16's ability to provision enhanced, differentiated 
billing schemes played a key role in Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico's 
selection of the platform for its network deployment. Through the 
enhanced charging service, Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico can bill for 
advanced services and features based on individual applications or 
service plans rather than the existing blanket charging model 
generally deployed in mobile networks. The carrier will be able to 
charge for services based on application type, content, destination, 
transactions, and many other criteria. The solution leverages Starent 
Networks deep packet inspection and statistics gathering capabilities 
along with elements of partner NetSpira's advanced charging offering. 

Subscribers will benefit from the enhanced charging capabilities in 
many ways, including: 

-- The carrier's ability to offer a wider variety of services, 

-- Only paying for services they want and only when they use them, 

-- Not paying for retransmitted information or failed transmission. 

"We are very excited to work with Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico with 
its focus on delivering new solutions quickly to the market," said 
Ashraf Dahod, president and CEO, Starent Networks Corporation. "The 
ability to deploy advanced data services and our enhanced charging 
service will increase their competitiveness and the quality of 
service to the subscriber."

Starent ST16 Intelligent Mobile Gateway

The Starent ST16 Intelligent Mobile Gateway has rapidly become the 
preferred next generation solution for mobile operators with CDMA-
based networks. Designed specifically for the mobile environment, the 
ST16 acts as the gateway between the wireless network and core IP 
network. The system offers enhanced mobility, multimedia service 
delivery, high capacity, superior accounting and billing, carrier-
class reliability and a clear migration to an all-IP network. 
Furthermore, the ST16 is unique in its ability to provision data, 
voice and integrated voice and data, moving the mobile network to a 
truly next generation architecture.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/