Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SENATE DEBATES NET ACCESS TAX

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:44:48 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Neil J. Lehto" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [municable] SENATE DEBATES NET ACCESS TAX

By a 74-11 vote, senators agreed to begin a process climaxing in a final
vote expected later this week over whether to renew a lapsed ban that
would
permanently prevent state and local governments from levying additional
taxes on dial-up, DSL (digital subscriber line), cable modem, wireless
or
satellite access to the Internet. This vote "will determine to some
extent
whether our e-mail, spam filters, Google searches, Web sites and instant
messages are singled out for discriminatory taxes," Sen. Ron Wyden
(D-OR)
said. "I cannot believe the Senate would subject e-mail, BlackBerrys, a
variety of technologies to discriminatory taxes." While senators were
making speeches in public, their aides were fiercely negotiating
potential
compromises in private. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is trying to broker a
deal
that would renew the tax moratorium for four years, instead of making it
permanent, and tweak the definitions so states could tax
voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) services. The House passed a bill
banning Internet taxation by voice vote in September.
[SOURCE: C-Net|News.com, AUTHOR: Declan McCullagh]
http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5200216.html?tag=cd.top

WSJ: 
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB108302929664394348,00.html?mod=todays_us
_page_one

WP: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44833-2004Apr26.html

nyt: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/27/politics/27INTE.html

_________________________________________
Contact Information 

Neil J. Lehto
4035 Inverness Lane
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
[email-masked] 

1 248 851-4276 (phone)
1 248 851-4276 (fax)

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/