Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Criminal Offense--Technology Aids NYPD's Crime-Fighting Efforts"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:09:17 -0400

"Criminal Offense--Technology Aids NYPD's Crime-Fighting Efforts"
InformationWeek (04/05/04) P. G27; Marlin, Steven

Following 9/11, New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly hired
McKinsey & Co. to study what went wrong in
emergency response. The consulting firm found vulnerabilities in command
and control, intelligence, planning, and
communications, proposing a major overhaul that included a wireless
communications network. The New York City Police
Department, long at the lead in using technology to improve law
enforcement, is designing a command center filled with the
latest gadgets that will allow operators to view trouble spots
throughout the city in real time. A data warehouse will connect
the agency's intelligence, operations, and anti-terrorism divisions to
each other and other organizations. About 2,800 of the
city's 3,400 police cars have thus far been equipped with laptops,
allowing officers to receive details of a dispatch and enter
complaint forms though a wireless communications network. The city also
wants to equip officers with handheld computers
and digital cell phones with cameras. A Public Service Answering Center
will combine the city's now separate police, fire,
and emergency medical services dispatch centers.

 http://www.informationweek.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/