Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola's Push-To-Talk V400p

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:46:21 -0400

Motorola's Push-To-Talk V400p
Snapshot by Michael Oryl (editor) on Tuesday April 27, 2004.

Motorola V400p

The manufacturers are all telling us that Push-To-Talk (PTT) is going to
be the next big thing. It has been available in North America for a long
time on Nextel's network, but now we are seeing it on other types of
networks. Verizon and Sprint both have PTT offerings on their CDMA2000
1xRTT networks, for example, and now you are starting to see a bit of a
push in the GSM world.

Motorola, in conjunction with Siemens and Sony Ericsson, have devised a
"standard" for PTT over GSM, and have implemented it in their new V400p
handset. The V400p is much like the existing V400, except that it is a
bit thicker to accommodate the improved speakerphone and has some new
buttons. We were told that the final version of the V400p will also look
different, and we were actually shown V400p bodies with a soft-touch
black coating that were quite nice. We just weren't allowed to
photograph them....

The PTT system in the V400p units we tested was still pre-production,
but we did have a reasonably good experience with them when the signal
strength in the booth was good. While a bit slower to connect than the
Iden phones Motorola makes for Nextel, it was quite usable.

It remains to be seen how this will all shake out since Nokia is pushing
their own standard for PTT over GSM.
More live photos of the Motorola V400p from CeBIT 2004 are available on
the following pages.

Specifications for the Motorola V400p
Band Quadband GSM
Data GPRS
Size 89mm x 49mm x 28mm
Weight 148g
Battery Life 150 - 200 hours standby time
 240 - 480 minutes talk time
Main Display 65k color active matrix, 176x220 resolution
Sub-Display Blue backlit, 96x32 resolution
Camera 640x480 (VGA) resolution
Video No
Text Messaging MMS/EMS/SMS
Email Yes (POP/IMAP/SMTP)
Browser WAP v2.0
Bluetooth No
Infrared No
Java Yes (MIDP v2.0)
Polyphonics Yes (dual speakers)
Radio No
Memory 5MB available
Other Push-to-talk (PTT) over GPRS with dedicated PTT button, contact
list with presence capability, speakerphone, picture caller ID, MP3
ringtones.
Next >
Related Column: PTT over GSM

Pictures
http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=2&Id=706

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG