Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MOGUL FACING TAP RAP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:39:19 -0400

MOGUL FACING TAP RAP 

By KIERAN CROWLEY  NY Post
         
April 23, 2004 -- 

A wealthy real-estate mogul has been arrested and charged with
wiretapping - 
for allegedly bugging his estranged wife's phone calls at their Long
Island 
mansion. Mark Laffey, 34, was arrested Wednesday and charged with
criminal 
eavesdropping for allegedly rigging a hidden tape recorder to record
wife Maureen's 
phone calls at their Oyster Bay estate. 

Maureen Laffey, 35, called police after she uncovered the hidden
recorder 
inside her bedroom closet, said Nassau Detective Lt. Steven Skrynecki. 

"This is a domestic situation. They are involved in a divorce," said 
Skrynecki.

"We have reason to believe that the husband was taping conversations
between 
the wife and other people.

" Skrynecki said detectives recovered "an audio recording device" from
the 
bedroom. 

"The charge is that he was eavesdropping on telephonic conversations," 
Skrynecki said.        

Mark Laffey, the chief operating officer of Century 21 Laffey Associates
Fine 
Homes, spent the night in jail and was arraigned on the charge yesterday 
morning at Nassau County 1st District Court in Hempstead. 

A prosecutor asked the judge to issue an order of protection to keep
Mark 
away from his wife - even though they both still live in the same home. 

Defense lawyer Dominic Barbara objected, saying his client had never
been 
arrested before and had no history of violence. 

Barbara said his client was not guilty. 

"I'm not suggesting he did tap the phone," Barbara said in court. "How
do you 
know he put the recorder there?" 

The judge did not issue an order of protection, and he set Laffey free
on his 
own recognizance. 

"My client categorically denies that he was taping any phone calls,"
Barbara 
said after the court appearance. 

A lawyer for Mrs. Laffey declined to comment on the arrest. 

Mark is charged with a felony and faces up to four years behind bars if 
convicted. 

Mrs. Laffey filed for divorce last year. The couple are also battling
for 
custody of their 7-year-old daughter. 

Mark's firm, which sells in Queens and on Long Island, "is one of the 
fastest-growing real estate companies in the country," according to
company 
promotional material. He has been a real-estate broker for 14 years. 

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/19431.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/