Subject: [NEXTEL-1] County poised to pay Motorola $19.1 million for fire dispatch system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:14:07 -0400

Posted on Mon, Apr. 12, 2004

County poised to pay Motorola $19.1 million for fire dispatch system

BY DANIEL A. RICKER

[email-masked]

Miami-Dade County Manager George Burgess last week finalized a proposal
for a five-year $19.1 million deal with Motorola Inc. for a new radio
system
for the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department.

Burgess will ask the County Commission on Tuesday to waive the
competitive bid process for the contract.

The department's 28-year-old UHF analog system is ''difficult to
maintain
and is in need of replacement,'' Burgess said in a support memo to
county
commissioners.

Nearly a year ago, the commission directed the manager to immediately
begin the negotiations for
the purchase of a Motorola 450 MHZ Radio System.

The two-phase deal proposed by Burgess at first calls for the
stabilization of the existing system
by ``purchasing new parts and equipment.''

This will have ''an immediate impact on the safety of our
firefighters,'' wrote Burgess, and it is
expected to be completed by September.

The new system would be phased in if the county is able to get the
necessary licenses and
development permits.

County fire union leader Stan Hill has been a frequent critic of the
system, repeatedly demanding
that the commission address the problem.

He said in a telephone interview Friday with the Watchdog Report that
while he is happy with the
deal, it could not come soon enough because the existing system has been
``putting people at
risk every day.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/8410092.htm?1c
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/