Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DOD Wireless Directive-Compliant Security Enforcement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:45:40 -0400

DOD Wireless Directive Compliant Security Enforcement

DIRECTIVE
4.1.2. Encryption of unclassified data for transmission to and from
wireless
devices is required…

4.1.4. Measures shall be taken to mitigate denial of service attacks.
These
measures shall address not only threats from the outside, but potential
interference
from friendly sources.

4.3. Wireless technologies/devices used for storing, processing, and/or
transmitting information shall not be operated in areas where classified
information
is electronically stored, processed, or transmitted unless approved by
the
DAA in consultation with the CSA CTTA.

4.4. Pursuant to paragraph 4.1.2, DAAs shall ensure that Wireless
Personal
Area Network (WPAN) capability is removed or physically disabled from a
device unless FIPS PUB 140-2-validated cryptographic modules are
implemented (reference (g)).

4.7. PEDs that are connected directly to a DoD-wired network (e.g., via
a hot
synch connection to a workstation) shall not be permitted to operate
wirelessly
while directly connected.

4.8. Anti-virus software shall be used on wireless-capable PEDs and
workstations…
The network infrastructure shall update anti-virus software for all
applicable PEDs and their supporting desktops from a site maintained by
the
Defense Information Systems Agency.

5.6.2. Ensure that all new commercial wireless procurements comply with
this
Directive immediately…

5.6.5.1. Control wireless access to IS under their cognizance to ensure
that the
wireless systems (including external interfaces to commercial wireless
services)
do not introduce wireless vulnerabilities that undermine the assurance
of the
other interconnected systems.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/