Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ensuring Mobile Clients Comply with Security Policy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:29:55 -0400

Ensuring Mobile Clients Comply with Security Policy
April 12, 2004
By John Desmond

With published reports from Gartner Group stating that nearly two-thirds
of fresh and critical data is on employee laptops and desktops and not
on servers, a higher urgency is being placed on securing the data on
mobile computers.
At the same time, the mobile professional needs flexibility in order to
exploit the benefits of mobile computing, such as being able to tap into
one of the growing number of available Wi-Fi hot spots.

Mobile security products vendor Senforce attempts to address these
issues with Enterprise Mobile Security Manager 2.5 (EMSM 2.5), a
location-aware endpoint security product that adds more support for the
government market and improved wireless connectivity control among its
enhancements.

"Audit committees want to know if security policy is being enforced on
the clients," says Allan Thompson, president and CEO of Senforce.

The Senforce client software, with a footprint of 2Mb, will prevent a
machine from connecting to the network that is not authorized or up to
standard.

"Companies can set a policy to only allow employees to connect to
designated access points. And we explain the reason to the user that the
connection was not authorized," Thompson says.

EMSM 2.5 includes a FIPS 140-2 certified cryptographic module to protect
the confidentiality of security policies. It also supports compliance
with Department of Defense Wireless Directive DoDD 8100.2 for mobile
technology use in government agencies.

Other enhancements in the 2.5 release include: improved wireless
connectivity control for embedded WLAN NICs used in notebook PCs,
including those using Intel Centrino Mobile Technology. The product
determines if the WLAN use is authorized based on an organization's
policies. Security managers can activate or control WLAN adapters with
one mouse click.
Also, virtual bridging, a feature supported in Windows XP, allows
multiple network adapts in the same PC to pass network traffic between
each other in a way that can create security vulnerabilities. The 2.5
release can prevent this from occurring by disabling any adapters using
the virtual bridge.

The product is priced at $89 per client; the server component is
included. Annual maintenance is 20% of the purchase price. A company
buying 5,000 seats would pay $150,000 on average.

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/prodser/article.php/3339071

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/