Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Connecting the Dots"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:48:15 -0400

"Connecting the Dots"
Police (04/04) Vol. 28, No. 4, P. 42; Diamond, Joe

Geographic information systems (GIS), the term used for creating,
updating, and analyzing digitized maps, are increasingly
being used by law enforcement agencies across the United States. At its
best, when integrated with Global Positioning
Systems, the tool can help track probationers and parolees wearing
electronic ankle bracelets and cross-reference their
locations with crime scenes or areas ordered off-limits. The method
gained prominence under former Mayor Giuliani in New
York City when the New York Police Department launced COMPSTAT, helping
to dramatically decrease crime in the city
by providing real-time intelligence to aid in rapid response. The
Lincoln, Neb., Police Department uses a similar system called
ACUDAT (Analyzing Crime Using Data About Trends) to provide officers the
ability to generate their own current maps
remotely through the department's intranet In 2002, Seminole County,
Fla., hired Veridian to track suspected offenders on a
pre-trial release with its "VeriTracks" GPS application that compares
their parolees movements with crime incident reports.
The tool tracks an individual's movements round the clock, allowing the
sheriff's office to access the system to compare with
crime scenes and providing e-mail alerts when a defendant was located
near a crime scene or entered a no-go area. The
Suffolk County, N.Y., Police Department and Hernando County, Fla.,
Sheriff's Office have implemented automatic vehicle
location systems to map the precise whereabouts of patrol cars to
maximize deployment efforts. The Duval County Sheriff's
Office in Florida, in partnership with Harris Corp., built a
three-dimensional model of a shopping and entertainment complex
in Jacksonville to construct a detailed electronic map of floor plans
that can be retrieved by law enforcement or emergency
personnel as needed.

www.policemag.com/t_cipick.cfm?rank =89679

--

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/