Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Adelstein: FCC considering 2.1 GHz band in public-safety interference issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:30:19 -0400

Adelstein: FCC considering 2.1 GHz band in public-safety interference
issue
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
April 29 13:18:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said Thursday the Federal
Communications Commission is
seriously considering the 2.1 GHz band as a way to minimize litigation
risk to any plan to solve public-safety interference
in the 800 MHz band.

Adelstein said any carrier, presumably referring to Nextel
Communications Inc., should be happy to get 10 megahertz of
nationwide spectrum in either the 2.1 GHz or 1.9 GHz bands. Adelstein
said he believes that any plan the FCC adopts
will be taken to court, however, it is best to take a few extra weeks to
explore alternatives to reduce litigation risk.
Nextel last week said giving it spectrum in the 2.1 GHz band instead of
the 1.9 GHz band to solve the 800 MHz
public-safety interference issue would take too long and would not
survive a legal challenge.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17911

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:11:01 -0400

Who does Nextel think is going to buy that reasoning? Come on Timmy you are
slipping.......

The truth is that Nextel wants to advantage of the capital efficiencies
offered in the 1.9 Ghz band. Manufactures have an abundance of "off-the-Shelf"
Handsets, Base Stations and other infrastructure ready to be deployed. In
addition nextel already has a 1.9 Ghz equipment running in Raleigh and more at
the warehouse.

In the 2.1Ghz band there is little to none "Off-The-Shelf" equipment
available. This requires manufactures re-tool their operations to produce
equipment in the 2.1Ghz band which translates to higher costs to Nextel.

The litigation liability is actually greater in the 1.9ghz band because it is
MORE desirable than the 2.1 Ghz band, because of the aforementioned reasons.

Either way carriers are going to show Timmy "How Business Gets DONE... in the
Court of Law".  At the end Timmy will walk away (Remember Nextwave- this is
Deja Vu) with his tail between his legs and leave Public Safety Blowing in the
Breeze.

[email-masked] wrote:

> <SNIP>