Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ARINC- New Electronic Flight Bag Offers Wireless Data, Video Surveillance Options

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:56:52 -0400

ARINC- New Electronic Flight Bag Offers Wireless Data, Video
Surveillance Options
April 26, 2004

Annapolis, Maryland, USA—In a first for the aviation industry, ARINC
Incorporated has combined the versatility of a portable electronic
flight bag (EFB) with the data collection and information management
capabilities of a fully integrated avionics system. The ARINC
solution—eFlightDeckTM—is a removable Class II EFB that runs both
commercial flight software and custom flight applications on the flight
deck.

ARINC will demonstrate eFlightDeck at the

2004 meeting of the Regional Airline Association, April 26-29 in St.
Louis, MO.
Like portable Class I EFBs, eFlightDeck replaces bulky paper charts and
thick manuals with a digital document display. It can also run
Windows-based flight applications, map programs, and graphical weather.
But any similarity to other flight bags ends there.

eFlightDeck can also host weight-and-balance calculations, flight
checklists, and aircraft performance programs. As a Class II integrated
system, it collects, displays, and manages important data from the
aircraft&rsquo;s flight management computer. An optional Ethernet LAN
turns eFlightDeck into a flight bag on steroids—capable of hosting a
wide range of on-board devices from video cameras to 802.11x wireless. A
secure gatelink option from Avionica, Inc., supports data transfers at
the ramp and downloads of DFDAU data, using Avionica&rsquo;s
secureLinkTM and miniQARTM technology.

eFlightBag is designed to be used in its portable mode for maintenance
and pre-flight tasks, then returned to its docking station on the flight
deck for use in all stages of flight.

The compact eFlightDeck display offers today&rsquo;s highest legibility
under bright sun or night conditions, using industry-leading technology
from navAero, Inc. The ARINC touch-screen interface was designed by
pilots, for pilots, and offers easy fingertip operation without the
traditional EFB stylus.  A Windows® based operating shell runs any
commercial flight software, and multiple USB ports allow convenient
updating.

&ldquo;eFlightDeck revolutionizes the management of onboard information
with today&rsquo;s best in-class EFB technology, by hosting commercial
applications, custom applications, and integrated data applications on a
single platform said Ed Montgomery, ARINC Vice President, Aviation and
Air Traffic Services. &ldquo;It provides a new set of EFB tools to
enhance aircraft operations and safety, while enhancing the
operator&rsquo;s return on investment (ROI). Open architecture makes
eFlightDeck future-proof, able to meet the needs of any carrier today
while accommodating new requirements tomorrow

ARINC Incorporated is the world leader in transportation communications
and systems engineering. The company develops and operates
communications and information processing systems and provides systems
engineering and integration solutions to five key industries: airports,
aviation, defense, government, and surface transportation. Founded to
provide reliable and efficient radio communications for the airlines,
ARINC is headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland, and operates key regional
offices in London and Singapore, with over 3,000 employees worldwide.
ARINC is ISO 9001 certified.

Release: 04-55
Contact:
Stephen E. Means
Vice President, Marketing & Sales
[email-masked]
410-266-4652
http://www.arinc.com/news/2004/04-26b-04.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/