Subject: [NEXTEL-1] No More Losing Your Kid... Thanks To Bluetooth

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:48:09 -0400

No More Losing Your Kid... Thanks To Bluetooth

 Contributed by mmasnick on Fri, Apr 16 2004
There are a lot of stories about location based technologies and
services showing up these days, and many of them focus on the very
important task of not losing your kid. However, this one seems a bit odd
in that a Danish amusement park is getting set to offer
Bluetooth-enabled tagging of your kid. Bluetooth seems like a fairly
inefficient way of going about this, considering the overall range of
Bluetooth and the number of access points needed to make it work.
However, I guess, in such a limited space it could work, and probably
returns a fairly accurate reading.

www.techdirt.com
=================================================================================

Danes tag kids with Bluetooth
By Jan Libbenga

Published Friday 16th April 2004 15:15 GMT
Copenhagen's famous Tivoli Gardens opened its gates today for the Summer
season and, for the first time, mums and dads do not have to worry about
their kids getting lost in one of the world's oldest amusement parks.

Tivoli Gardens has introduced a Bluetooth surveillance system for
parents with small children. The Child Spotter Service is based on
Bluetooth wristbands developed by Danish company Bluetags and 63 access
points manufactured by another Danish outfit, Blip Systems.

Parents can buy a armlet for their child for DKK 20 (about $3). Should a
child wander off, they merely have to send a SMS requesting information
on the particular tag. Shortly thereafter they receive a message back
specifying the location of the child's nearest Bluetooth receiver. The
access points can pinpoint the location down to 20 metres.

Bluetags says it is equipping many amusement parks, zoos and shopping
centres in Denmark with the location system. One of Denmark’s largest
zoological gardens, Aalborg ZOO, was the first to adopt the system

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/16/bluetooth_tagging/
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/