Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Alcatel launches PTT solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:34:06 -0400

Alcatel launches PTT solution
By Sam Omatseye
April 28 13:19:00, 2004

Alcatel Corp. has joined other big infrastructure players by launching
its push-to-talk application, an instant communication protocol that has
gained momentum during the past year.

Alcatel said it will integrate its product with its Internet Protocol
multimedia communication portfolio.
The announcement comes as industry is split over definitive standards
for PTT over Cellular, with Nokia Corp. pitted
against other players such as Siemens AG and L.M. Ericsson.

The French vendor said its application will harness the strengths of
instant messaging and short message services.
“Through the simple touch of a button, users can engage an instant voice
conversation with available users on their
contact list, in a similar way they do with the existing instant
messaging,” said the company. “They can talk to one or to
groups of people simultaneously or directly deposit a message into
recipients’ mailboxes, without having to call or to
speak to them.”

Alcatel said its PTT solution will work with its billing product known
as Alcatel Charging Proxy, which will allow end users
to manage numerous contacts and contact groups through a Web-based
interface and facilitate billing. Its PTT server will
run on Intel Xeon processor-based servers, which use the Linux operating
system.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17896

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/