Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VA. Governor (Early Nextel Investor) Mark Warner Presents Madeleine Albright and William Kennard (Nextel board of directors) to Address COVITS 2004

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:15:15 -0400

VA. Governor (Early Nextel Investor) Mark Warner Presents
Madeleine Albright and William Kennard ( Nextel board of directors ) to
Address COVITS 2004 Delegates; Technology Conference in Hampton Roads to
Showcase Virginia's Thought Leadership
April 9, 2004 9:00am

COVITS 2004 RICHMOND, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 9, 2004--Virginia
Secretary of Technology George Newstrom announced today that Dr.
Madeleine Albright, former U.S. Secretary of State, and William Kennard,
managing director of The Carlyle Group and former Chair of the Federal
Communications Commission, will speak at COVITS 2004, the Commonwealth
of Virginia's Information Technology Symposium, in Norfolk, Virginia
September 26 - 28.
"The Commonwealth of Virginia recognizes that the world is changing
rapidly, and that it must be at the forefront of continued change and
innovation," said Governor Warner.

"Governor Mark Warner and I are delighted that Dr. Albright and Mr.
Kennard have accepted our invitations," said Newstrom. "The event's
theme is 'Virginia - Portal to the Emerging Global Marketplace,' and our
program will examine the state of the Information Age from the
perspectives of nationally-recognized public figures, CEOs, and
representatives of public and private sector organizations. Madeleine
Albright will give our delegates invaluable insight into international
affairs and markets. And Bill Kennard, with his regulatory experience
and knowledge of the telecommunications and media sectors, will share
his thoughts on the future of the digital age."

Dr. Albright and Mr. Kennard join Tom Brokaw, broadcast pioneer and
anchor of the "NBC Nightly News" as headliners on the COVITS program.
Mr. Brokaw will speak on Sunday evening. Dr. Albright will deliver her
remarks, which will focus on international affairs, on Tuesday morning.
Mr. Kennard will focus on the telecommunications and media industries on
Tuesday afternoon.

"We invite those leaders at the forefront of change in business,
academia and government to join us at COVITS 2004, as we examine both
today's critical challenges and the 'art of the possible,'" Newstrom
concluded.

About COVITS

COVITS (the Commonwealth of Virginia's Information Technology Symposium)
annually brings together senior-level executives and thought leaders
from business, government and academia around the world to identify,
discuss and propose solutions to critical technology issues. The
conference, in its sixth year, is hosted by Virginia's Secretary of
Technology, George C. Newstrom, on behalf of Governor Mark R. Warner.

As the Commonwealth of Virginia continues one of the most sweeping
reforms of information technology in the nation, COVITS 2004 will gather
leaders from across the globe to examine the challenges of integrating
technology solutions. The City of Norfolk, rated by Money Magazine as
the "Best Big City in the South", home of the world's largest naval
facility and North American home to NATO, will provide an ideal backdrop
for COVITS 2004. For more information, call 703-442-9329 or visit
www.covits.org.

Biographies:

Madeleine Korbel Albright

Madeleine Korbel Albright served as the 64th Secretary of State of the
United States. She was the first female secretary of state and is the
highest-ranking woman in the history of the United States government.
Dr. Albright is the founder of The Albright Group LLC, a global strategy
firm and author of Madam Secretary: A Memoir.

Dr. Albright is the first Michael and Virginia Mortara Endowed
Distinguished Professor in the Practice of Diplomacy at the Georgetown
School of Foreign Service and the first Distinguished Scholar of the
William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan Business
School. She is the chairman of The National Democratic Institute for
International Affairs, chair of The PEW Global Attitudes Project and
president of the Truman Scholarship Foundation. She also serves on the
board of directors of the New York Stock Exchange.

As Secretary, Dr. Albright reinforced America's alliances, advocated
democracy and human rights, and promoted American trade and business,
labor, and environmental standards abroad.

William E. Kennard

William E. Kennard joined The Carlyle Group in May 2001 as a Managing
Director in the Global Telecommunications and Media Group. Before
joining The Carlyle Group, Mr. Kennard served as Chairman of the U.S.
Federal Communications Commission from November 1997 to January 2004.
Mr. Kennard presided over the FCC at an historic time. During his
tenure, he implemented policies that helped to create an explosion of
new wireless phones, brought the Internet to a majority of American
households, and made digital age technologies more available to schools,
libraries, low-income Americans and people with disabilities.

Mr. Kennard served as the FCC's General Counsel from December 1993 to
November 1997. Before serving in government, Mr. Kennard was a partner
and member of the Board of Directors of the law firm of Verner,
Liipfert, Bernhard, McPherson and Hand. He is a member of the board of
directors of Nextel Communications, The New York Times Company, and
Handspring, Inc.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR20040409290.2_b010001fef3082db

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Mike Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:46:06 -0400

I had a chat this AM with a gentlemean in Canada (East side) so DC to Canada
is working !!
Mike
Oxford GA

Anyone in Canada wants to try it feel free.
154*51*1692

 
Yahoo! Groups Links