Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless takes up 25% of corporate telecom spending

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:34:23 -0400

Wireless takes up 25% of corporate telecom spending
By Emily Motsay
April 12 12:40:00, 2004

Wireless voice and data services now represent 25 percent of a typical
U.S. corporation’s telecom spending, according to
a new report from the Yankee Group.

However, unlike other telecom services, a whopping 48 percent of large
organizations do not have centrally managed
accounts for wireless voice services, according to Yankee.

“Corporate wireless purchasing is changing for a variety of reasons, and
the importance of centralizing this function is
increasing,” said Keith Mallinson, executive vice president of the
Yankee Group’s wireless and mobile research. “For
example, purchasing managers much recognize requirements specific to
locality and users. Verizon Wireless has worked
hard to point out that it has the best overall coverage in the land, and
Sprint PCS belabors the point that it has a
consistent all-digital network, but that does not mean that either is
best for everybody in every place.”

The analyst firm adds that personal expense claims for wireless service
make it difficult for companies to tally
expenditures.

“From the early days, cellular was a perk for the elite few who could
get their company to pay for it. Nowadays, it is more
for the masses so the prestige is less, but the corporate cost is
magnified with the large number of users,” explained
Mallinson. “Worse, the absence of accountability or of an effective
review of usage against rate plans suggests many
companies are overspending substantially.”

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17663

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/