Subject: [NEXTEL-1] University of Georgia Students Go Wireless with Air2Web

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:21:31 -0400

University of Georgia Students Go Wireless with Air2Web
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2004-04-20

Students Go Beyond Wi-Fi to Develop Wireless Apps Available Any
Time, Any Where and From any Digital Wireless Phone

 Air2Web has joined with ExecuTrain, XcelleNet, Hewlett Packard and the
New Media Institute(NMI) at the University of Georgia to launch the
Mobile Media Consortium - an academic/industry partnership committed to
exploring the compelling uses of mobile media.  Students known as Mobile
Media Scholars will be using Air2Web's 2Notify solution to develop and
deploy wireless prototypes that improve quality of life. Some examples
include wireless applications which would be used to help increase the
use of public transportation, create healthier babies while driving down
the cost of healthcare, enhance a visitor's experience to a new town,
and improve a student's learning experience while sitting in a large
lecture hall.  "Improving people's lives is the killer app for mobile
media," according to Dr. Scott Shamp, the Director of the Mobile Media
Consortium. "The Mobile Media Consortium is dedicated to discovering the
ways that powerful wireless technology can have a positive impact on
people's quality of life."  "Air2Web is a longtime pioneer in the field
of wireless technology, and we have seen first hand the positive impact
mobility can have on one's work and quality of life," said Len Emmick,
VP for Air2Web. "The Mobile Media Consortium is solely dedicated to
exploring and developing wireless technology which will help people
improve their lives. Air2Web is honored to be a part of the Consortium
and to help further this very important goal."  The 2Notify solution
enables organizations to efficiently and cost-effectively broadcast news
and information to both wireless and wire line devices, including 100
percent of the digital cell phones and Web-enabled phones on the market.
2Notify also features a suite of permission-based tools to enable
organizations to conduct interactive voting/polling, deliver content and
promote products and services.  The Mobile Media Consortium will
showcase the 2Notify solution during its biannual mobile symposium, "Go
Mobile or Go Home" on Saturday, April 24. The event is free and open to
the public. 2Notify is powering a wireless, interactive survey during
the week leading up to the event which symposium registrants can
participate in. For more information see
http://www.nmi.uga.edu/gomobile.  Following the "Go Mobile or Go Home"
symposium, one of the country's most popular and nationally recognized
bicycle races, the Twilight Criterium, will commence in downtown Athens.
Using 2Notify, the Mobile Media Consortium will provide race fans with
free, up-to -the minute race results, delivered via SMS, to their cell
phones. To sign up for the free service, simply send a text message on
the day of the race to short code: 26161.  Using 2Notify to develop
their wireless prototypes, the Mobile Media Scholars will gain
invaluable experience working with wireless programming models, wide
area networks, and Short Message Service (SMS) applications.  The
scholars have already obtained a thorough knowledge of Wi-Fi, as well as
mobile applications utilizing PDAs, through their development of the
WAGZone, a wireless local area network in downtown Athens.  Implemented
in December 2002, the WAGZone offers UGA students and faculty members
using wireless PDAs and laptops access to WAGZone content and the
Internet.

 About 2Notify
 In addition to wirelessly enabling backend applications for companies
worldwide, the 2Notify solution has been successfully powering the
University of South Florida's MoBull Messenger application for the past
two years. MoBull is one of the country's first Mobile Coupon and
Information Services.  Air2Web's 2Notify solution has also powered over
250 wireless interactive events and processed millions of two-way SMS
messages. Cingular Wireless licensed Air2Web's 2Notify solution in
February 2003 to manage text-messaging applications to its 22 Million
subscribers for TV polling, surveys, contests, entertainment, and opt-in
promotional offers. Some of the Cingular interactive campaigns include
the MTV Wireless Video Music Awards (VMA) Trivia Contest, Charlie's
Angels': Full Throttle Wireless Sweepstakes, the NCAA Men's Basketball
Alerts service and TV polling Survey, and the NASCAR Polling Service.

 About Air2Web
 Air2Web's wireless technology mobilizes email, instant messaging
systems, corporate applications and multimedia content to employees and
consumers. Air2Web solutions generate new revenue streams through mobile
marketing and cost-saving productivity gains for both carriers and
enterprises., Air2Web powers wireless applications for blue-chip
companies such as UPS, ABN AMRO, CBS SportsLine, InterContinental Hotels
Group, and the Weather Channel. For more information see
www.air2web.com.

 About the New Media Institute
 NMI is dedicated to exploring the compelling uses for mobile media
technology and the creative, critical and commercial ideas that will
drive demand. Using commodity (off-the-shelf) technology, NMI is
developing real prototypes that real people can react to and evaluate.
Having already created a real-world test-bed called the Wireless Athens
Georgia Zone (WAGZone); NMI students have been developing systems and
products that utilize the WAGZone over the past year and a half. For
more info see: http://www.nmi.edu.
Publication date: 2004-04-20

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=50074751&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/