Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New York Attorney General Tells FCC To Make Nextel Pay More For Spectrum - WP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:17:55 -0400

New York Attorney General Tells FCC To Make Nextel Pay More For Spectrum
- WP
April 27, 2004 1:02am
Dow Jones Business News

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- New York state Attorney General Eliot L. Spitzer
urged the Federal Communications Commission to sharply increase the
amount Nextel Communications Inc. (NXTL) should pay for a swath of
higher-frequency spectrum it would get in exchange for moving its
airwaves to minimize radio interference with public safety
communications, The Washington Post reports in its Tuesday edition.

According to the Post, Spitzer said in a letter "Nextel must be required
to compensate the United States Treasury for the spectrum it receives in
the amount that would have been received at an auction of that
spectrum."

Verizon Wireless (VRZ.XX), a Nextel competitor that has come out against
the spectrum-swap plan, has offered to bid at least $5 billion for the
airwaves in an auction, the Post said. To date, Nextel has offered to
pay $850 million to offset the cost of moving the public-safety and
other private wireless companies groups to different spectrum.

Nextel spokeswoman Leigh Horner declined to comment on Spitzer's letter,
according to the Post.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR20040427460_7b180005a043af89

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/