Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Expands Successful Broadband Trial to Include Paying Customers and Larger Coverage Area

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:46:59 -0400

Nextel Rolls out Broadband on "Leased" 1.9ghz spectrum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nextel Expands Successful Broadband Trial to Include Paying Customers
and Larger Coverage Area
Wednesday April 14, 10:09 am ET

Nextel's Trial in North Carolina's Research Triangle Offers
Unmatched Speeds and Convenient Bundled Services,
including E-mail, Online Disk Storage and Website Traffic

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 14, 2004-- Nextel Communications
Inc.  (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) announced today that the coverage area of its
wireless broadband trial, now branded as Nextel Wireless Broadband(SM)
service, has more than doubled since first launching in February 2004.
The coverage area is now approximately 1,300 square miles and extends to
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and other neighboring communities. This
expansion follows several initial success indicators from the trial,
including measuring network speed, performance and customer response.

The service will also begin accepting paying customers.
"The data speeds of the Nextel
Wireless Broadband service are
significantly faster than other
wireless broadband offerings," said
Scott Ellison, program director,
wireless and mobile
communications, IDC. "Much like
how wireless phones began
replacing landline phones once
performance became similar, we
expect much greater demand for
wireless broadband service now that
speeds are comparable to DSL and
cable broadband connections, with
the additional benefit of access
while on the go."

Nextel Wireless Broadband service is 50 times faster than dial-up
connections and is accessible via laptop and desktop computers as well
as PDAs. It offers typical downlink speeds of up to 1.5 megabits per
second (mbps) with burst rates of up to 3.0 mbps. Typical uplink speeds
are up to 375 kilobits per second (kbps) with burst rates of up to 750
kbps.

Nextel Wireless Broadband service is now commercially available at
affordable rates to any of the more than one million people who live or
work in the coverage area. It can be ordered online, via phone or at
local Nextel retail stores. A local marketing and advertising campaign
will begin this week to promote the service.

Nextel's wireless broadband trial is also unique because it offers
turn-key bundled ISP services in addition to access, including multiple
e-mail accounts (up to seven), online disk storage (up to 70 megabytes)
and website traffic (up to 300 megabytes per month). Additionally, it
offers public, private and static IP addresses.
High User Satisfaction

Until now, Nextel's wireless broadband trial was limited to a test group
that included local employees of Cisco Systems, Inc., Nortel Networks
and IBM among others. These users have provided very positive feedback
about the value of the service, including quality and performance.

"Nextel Wireless Broadband service is allowing me to be remote, be
productive and be highly accessible to my team and my clients. My job is
very demanding and requires 24-7 access to the Internet and to our
remote support infrastructure. Furthermore, many aspects of my job
require that I leave the office to increase my productivity. I can even
work from my favorite coffee shop with speeds comparable to a cable
modem," said Matt Brown, a Nextel Wireless Broadband service trial user
and director of enterprise integration and database operations,
MercuryMD, Inc.

"Nextel Wireless Broadband service follows me wherever I go with the
immediacy and speed that are critical for my work. For example, Nextel
Wireless Broadband service allowed me to instant message a six-megabyte
presentation directly from my car after I received an urgent request. I
parked on the side of the road in the midst of gridlock traffic, pulled
out my laptop and easily sent the presentation within minutes," said
David Stafford, a Nextel Broadband service trial user and IT analyst,
Cisco Systems.

Pricing and Availability

Nextel Wireless Broadband service is available in four different price
plans to meet users' varying needs such as speed, number of e-mail
accounts and amount of online disk storage. Costs(1) will include:

a monthly service fee (ranging from $34.99 to $74.99 depending on the
plan) and a one-time equipment fee, for either a PC card for laptop
computers or a wireless modem for desktop computers (specially priced at
$100 for early sign-up).
To sign up for the service or for more information including a map of
the coverage in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, visit
www.nextelbroadband.com. Nextel Wireless Broadband service can also be
ordered at 1-877-899-6354 or at local Nextel retail stores (locations
are listed on www.nextelbroadband.com).

Technology

Nextel Wireless Broadband service uses Flarion Technologies' FLASH-OFDM®
technology, which supplies highly secure broadband access in addition to
fast network speeds. This technology is Internet-protocol-friendly,
which offers the ability to easily connect to main databases and run
applications.

Nextel Wireless Broadband service also provides impressive latency
rates, which allow rapid multi-user exchanges. For example, it maximizes
the results of real-time applications such as multimedia conferencing
and online gaming.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040414/145531_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/