Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 4.9 GHz Band

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:57:49 -0400

There is some out now but it has been very limited. The 1st firm date I have
seen  has been from MeshConnex.

MeshConnex will be available in the second quarter of 2004.

=============================================================================

MeshNetworks Demonstrates Prototype Multi-Hopping™ 4.9GHz Radio
High Performance MeshConnex™ Technology Increases Wireless Broadband Coverage and
Throughput for First Responders

MAITLAND, FL - April 26, 2004 - MeshNetworks, Inc., an industry leader in the
development and commercialization of mobile mesh networking solutions will be
demonstrating its multi-hopping network technology on 802.11a radios operating in
the 4.9 GHz spectrum. The FCC recently allocated this spectrum exclusively for
high data rate communities for public safety agencies.  These first ever
capabilities leverage the Company’s MeshConnex software development suite, which
adds high performance ad hoc networking features to industry standard radio
platforms. MeshConnex software is currently in beta test and can be seamlessly
integrated with standard 802.11a/b/g radios operating in 2.4, 4.9 and 5.8 GHz
frequency bands. General availability for MeshConnex is scheduled in the second
quarter of 2004.

The demonstration will show high resolution, full motion video hopping through
multiple radios. High quality video streams require high data rates and low
latency end-to-end connections. By turning every radio in the network into a
router/repeater for every other radio, MeshConnex greatly enhances the range and
end-to-end system throughput between devices, while introducing very little
latency.

In addition to video surveillance, MeshConnex-enhanced radios will allow public
safety agencies to implement both permanent city-wide and instant on-scene
tactical wireless networks for sending and receiving real-time data, mug shots,
GIS maps, medical files, building layouts and other bandwidth intensive
multimedia information.

MeshNetworks’ technology creates self-forming, self healing (ad hoc) broadband
networks that can operate with or without pre-deployed wireless infrastructure.
According to the project MESA web site: “The ability to create an ad hoc network
is particularly important for public safety personnel who are responding to
large-scale emergencies or natural or man-caused disasters.” Project MESA is an
international partnership created by ETSI and TIA who have agreed to co-operate
for the production of mobile broadband specifications for public safety.

“This first of its kind demonstration shows the power and flexibility of
combining MeshConnex and 4.9 GHz radio technologies to create a state-of the art
broadband solution for first responders,” said Peter Stanforth, CTO of
MeshNetworks. “Mesh networking minimizes the cost and complexity associated with
network backhaul and infrastructure equipment, as well as enabling the formation
of instant tactical networks at an incident. Given the demands facing public
safety and homeland security agencies today, we are committed to developing
technology that will help them better communicate in even the most challenging
situations. ”
MeshNetworks solutions leverage battlefield networking technology originally
developed for the US military under DARPA directed programs. As a result,
MeshConnex software contains important capabilities not found in competitive
solutions, including: ultra-fast route acquisition, dynamic bandwidth allocation
(fairness), real-time congestion management, QoS, assignable user priority and
proven scalability.

MeshConnex technology features a small code footprint that optimizes processing
resources. Its adaptive routing algorithm performs optimally for both large and
small-scale applications.

MeshNetworks will be performing demonstrations of its prototype multi-hopping 4.9
GHz radio in booth #434 at the ITS America 2004 Meeting and Exposition April 26 –
28 in San Antonio, TX.

[email-masked] wrote:

> The following new message has been posted on APCO Exchange Forum at
> <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi>.
>
> ***************************************************************************
>
>   MESSAGE:  (#2790) 4.9 GHz Band
>             <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=2790>
>   AUTHOR:   Michael Kiron
>   DATE:     Thursday, 29 April 2004, at 10:50 a.m.
>
> Does anyone have information as to when commercial off the shelf equipment is
> due to become available for use in the new 4.9 GHz public safety band?
>
> ***************************************************************************

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/