Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Wins Contract for Over 30,000 Communication Terminals with the Metropolitan Police Service LONDON,

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:36:54 -0400

Motorola Wins Contract for Over 30,000 Communication Terminals with the
Metropolitan Police Service LONDON,

April 21/PRNewswire/ --
- London Joins Ten Other UK Police Forces in Choosing the Motorola
MTH800

Motorola (NYSE: MOT) today announced that the Metropolitan Police
Service has chosen its MTH800 terminal for its officers to use on the
nationwide TETRA communications network, Airwave. The Metropolitan
Service is Britain's largest policed force, with 31,637 officers
covering an area of 620 square miles and a population of 7.2 million.

Since it was launched in November 2003, the MTH800 has so far been
chosen by eleven out of twelve police forces that have awarded contracts
this year in the United Kingdom.

The Metropolitan Police Service, whose aim is to make London the safest
major city in the world, chose the MTH800 after extensive testing and
feedback from officers. Offering high levels of encryption, the MTH800
is reliable in all sorts of conditions. The Metropolitan Police will use
the new technologies implemented in the MTH800 to increase their
responsiveness and efficiency and to enhance officer safety.

Chief Superintendent Peter Goulding, Chair of the Selection Board, said:

"This announcement is really good news for all radio users in the Met.
The selection process involved police officers and police staff from
across the organisation covering operational, support and supply
departments. A lot of work has gone into the last 8 months with
manufacturers to develop and select our next generation of radios and
deliver them into service. The Met has worked with manufacturers to push
the technology boundaries for radios, ensuring that we can make the most
of digital services now and in the future."

The Metropolitan Police will use the flexibility of the MTH800 to meet
their unique operational needs. According to Gary Maughan, Motorola's
Director of Public Safety Terminal business in the UK, "We listened
closely to the Met's requirements and developed the MTH800 capabilities
to meet their specific operational needs. The Met's decision to purchase
the MTH800 is superb news and represents a dedicated team effort from
Motorola. To be able to announce The Met, Scottish forces, Kent, Norfolk
and Northamptonshire in one week is phenomenal and follows an extensive,
rigorous and very competitive tender process. We have learnt a lot
during this time including the art of listening more carefully to our
customers needs and we would like to thank the Met Police team for their
decision."

Colour display has a variety of operational uses

The most recent demonstrations of the MTH800 included the display of
images captured on a simple digital camera and transmitted live to the
terminal. The large, high definition colour display on the MTH800
enables a wide range of image types to be displayed with exceptional
clarity, including mug shots, incident views, digital maps or
specialised graphics such as Force logos. During Motorola evaluations
the colour display performed extremely well in a variety of environments
including the typical sodium lighting of city centres.

Additional features with safety in mind have been enhanced with colour.
The battery level icon not only shows the state of charge left in the
battery graphically but it changes colour as well. A fully charged
battery is shown in green and, progressively, the icon will turn to red
when a pre-defined low battery state is reached.

With security continuing to increase in importance, communication within
police forces is key. Officers will use the MTH800 to communicate with
each other and with the control room. As part of this, the Motorola
solution will create over 3,000 talk groups that will be aligned to the
Force's operational units, increasing information sharing and speeding
up communication within these groups. In addition, a function called 'My
Range' will allow individual officers to create their own talk groups to
share information - for example with officers who are on the beat in the
same area or who are working on the same incident as them.

Location performance

Operational possibilities for the future are further enhanced with
another of the terminal's features - the integrated GPS receiver. In the
future an officer's location could be accurately plotted by control room
staff in order to get a better idea of overall resource deployment. And,
in conjunction with the emergency button that sends a high priority call
to the control room, it will be possible to pinpoint an officer's
location accurately in order to send backup to the incident. The
sensitivity of the GPS antenna produced excellent performance and
location accuracy in tests carried out during recent trials.

Compatibility with future technology

The MTH800 has been designed to accept new software, in particular
Java-based applications. This will mean that as new applications are
developed, the software can be loaded on to the terminals, enabling
officers to take full advantage of the latest technology.

Easy-to-carry

The lightweight design of the MTH800 makes it an easy addition to the
existing equipment officers have to carry. It can be attached to an
officer's uniform or body armour in a variety of ways and the high
quality microphones enable the officer's voice to be heard, even when
speaking very quietly. The display on the terminal can be turned 180
degrees so that it can easily be read upside down if clipped to an
officer's shoulder.

Long battery life

The MTH800 has very low power consumption, creating a terminal with
exceptional battery power that outlasts the usual 'shift and a half'
expectation. This is particularly unusual for a terminal with a GPS
receiver - most of which consume a great deal of power.

About the Metropolitan Police

The Metropolitan Police Service has a worldwide reputation and has a
unique place in the history of policing. It is the largest of the police
services operating in Greater London. (The others include the City of
London Police, the British Transport Police and the Royal Parks
Constabulary.)

History and Statistics

Sir Robert Peel founded the Metropolitan Police Force in 1829. The
original establishment of 1,000 officers policed a seven-mile radius
from Charing Cross and a population of less than 2 million. Today, the
Metropolitan Police Service employs 30,235 officers, 11,966 police
staff, 493 traffic wardens and 1392 Police Community Support Officers
(PCSOs), and, since the realignment of police boundaries in April 2000,
it covers an area of 620 square miles and a population of 7.2 million.

About TETRA:

The Airwave service uses TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA), the open
digital trunked radio standard that is defined by the European
Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to meet the needs of
the most demanding professional mobile radio users.

For more information visit:

Motorola TETRA: http://www.motorola.com/tetra

TETRA MoU: http://www.tetramou.com

http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/pressreleases/1082546846-16888.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/