Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tyler, Texas Police Department To Record Traffic Stops and Crimes in Progress; Department Plans Wireless Capability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:46:43 -0400

Tyler, Texas Police Department To Record Traffic Stops and Crimes in
Progress; Department Plans Wireless Capability

Tuesday, April 20 2004 @ 11:03 AM
Contributed by: ByteEnable

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/index.php?topic=embeddedhttp://www.linuxelectrons.com/index.php?topic=embeddedARMONK,
N.Y. & TYLER, Texas -- IBM has announced that it will equip the cruiser
fleet of the Tyler, Texas Police Department with a digital video system
that can allow officers to capture video of traffic stops and criminal
activity in progress. The system is expected to help serve as a powerful
weapon in the fight against crime and it could save the department about
$50,000 each year in labor, management and supply costs, according to
the police department.

Tyler also plans to add wireless capability to the system, enabling the
transmission of live video images from the cruisers to the police
department in near real time, according to Police Chief Gary Swindle.

Digital video is thought to be more effective than traditional police
car video systems, which are based on analog (videotape) technology.
Because analog systems must be activated manually by the police officer,
they often fail to capture images of crimes in progress. By contrast,
IBM's "in-car" digital video system continuously records images and
sound onto a 40 or 60 gigabyte hard drive. When the officer turns on his
overhead "pursuit" lights, the previous four minutes of video and audio
are saved and recording continues until the officer turns off the
system.

Installed in each of the department's 60 cruisers, the IBM in car
solution, using Coban Technologies' Video Mobile Data Terminal (VMDT),
will collect data via digital video cameras mounted in the cars as well
as from audio microphones worn by the police officers. The data will be
fed to ruggedized computer hard drives in the vehicles.

At the end of an officer's shift, he or she will remove the hard drive,
bring it into police headquarters, and upload any recorded images into a
central data repository capable of storing 4.35 terabytes of data -- the
equivalent of nearly one million full-length novels.

IBM can also equip the system with wireless capability to permit near
real-time transmission of video images and sound from the police
cruisers to police headquarters, using wireless "hotspots." Creating a
vital visual link between patrol officers and precinct personnel,
wireless transmission can help protect the safety of officers and
citizens as well as assist in the coordination of police efforts.

The IBM solution has other advantages:

Authentication enabled -- The system generates unique authentication
keys that help discourage tampering with video files.

Data aggregated -- Video images can be synchronized with other relevant
information, such as speed radar readings, Global Positioning System
data, vehicle telemetry, and lightbar (pursuit light) activity.

Chain of custody enabled -- At the start of a shift, an officer will
check out a hard drive from headquarters by scanning the barcode on the
disk into an on-site computer server. The officer will also enter his or
her ID number. The process is repeated at the end of the shift. The
system keeps a detailed log of hard drive custody.

Data retrieval improved -- Users can search massive video databases to
more quickly retrieve the precise video clip that's required, which can
help reduce management costs. Videos can be searched using combinations
of several possible criteria, including officer ID, date, type of
violation, location, and motorist information.

"Shelf life" extended -- Digital video images captured are DVD-or
VCD-quality. They are sharper than taped images and can theoretically be
stored for longer periods than traditional videotape, which tends to
deteriorate more quickly over time.

The repository uses Coban's Digital Video Management System (DVMS),
which is designed for flexibility and scalability to serve police
departments both large and small. The solution also includes IBM eServer
xSeries servers, IBM Linear Tape-Open storage, Tivoli Storage Manager
and IBM services and support.

"IBM's digital video system represents a revolution in video recording,
a tool for helping improve safety and a potential cost-saving device all
in one," said Chief Swindle. "It is a welcome addition to the
infrastructure that supports one of the most important jobs in the world
- the job of serving the public."

"One of IBM's key goals is providing customers with the technology that
helps them to sense and respond to dynamic changes - whatever they may
be," said Kent Blossom, director, IBM Safety & Security Services. "The
digital video solution demonstrates how that commitment translates in a
very powerful way to the realm of law enforcement."

Tyler, Texas has a population of more than 87,000 and covers 52.7 square
miles. The city is considered a manufacturing, health care, educational
and retail center of East Texas.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/