Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC to Stop Accepting Pre-December 2003 Form 605

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:31:16 -0400

--------- Forwarded Message ----------
From: "ARRL Web site"
To: Subscribed ARRL Members
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:31:46 -0400
Subject: ARLB010 FCC to Stop Accepting Pre-December 2003 Form 605
	<snip>

From ARRL Headquarters  
Newington CT  April 12, 2004
	<snip>

ARLB010 FCC to Stop Accepting Pre-December 2003 Form 605

Effective with Monday, May 3, receipts, the FCC's Wireless 
Telecommunications Bureau will dismiss any applications filed on an 
FCC Form 605 issued earlier than December 2003. Form 605, 
Quick-Form Application for Authorization in the Ship, Aircraft, 
Amateur, Restricted and Commercial Operator, and General Mobile 
Radio Service, is the hard-copy version of the [Ship, Aircraft, 
Restricted and Commercial Operator, General Mobile Radio Service 
and]* Amateur Service application. The change does not affect 
applicants filing on-line with the Universal Licensing System (ULS) at, 
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/, said the FCC, which is encouraging 
on-line filing

ARRL VEC Manager Bart Jahnke, W9JJ, says the Form 605 
announcement will affect the way ARRL has been making FCC 
Form 605 available. He says the League's widely distributed March 
2001 Form 605 in a three-sheet ivory/buff-colored package with 
perforated pages will become obsolete for applications the FCC 
receives on or after May 3.

In the wake of the FCC's unexpected announcement, the ARRL is
developing a replacement package that could require several more
pages. It hopes to have it ready in time for Hamvention May 14-16.

The FCC has been accepting both older and current Form 605
applications that included a line (Item 9a) for a Taxpayer
Identification Number, a Social Security number for an individual.
The FCC would then issue the applicant an FCC Registration Number
(FRN) without additional paperwork. All amateur [and other such] 
applicants must have and use an FRN when filing an application such 
as Form 605 with the FCC. Applicants attending VEC test sessions 
can still supply a Social Security number, which will result in automatic

Commission Registration System (CORES) registration.

All amateur [and other such applicants] must have and use an FRN 
when filing an application such as Form 605 with the FCC. Under the 
system going into effect in May, applicants not yet registered in CORES 
and filing on paper will need to file FCC Form 160, CORES Registration 
to obtain a FCC Registration Number (FRN). After the FCC has issued 
an FRN, applicants also might want to file FCC Form 606 to associate 
the FRN with an individual's license record(s) and call sign(s). CORES 
registration data and FCC license data are maintained in separate FCC 
databases.

The completed Form 160 goes to a unique Washington, DC, FCC 
address to obtain the applicant's FRN. Once the FCC issues an FRN 
to the applicant, this number must be used when filing FCC Form 605, 
which goes to the FCC's Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, office. The two 
forms may not be mailed to Gettysburg together. Applicants need to 
have obtained an FRN via Form 160 before they can file a Form 605.

ARRL recommends that all amateurs [and other licensees] file an 
on-line or paper Form 606 to associate their FRN with their license 
record(s) and call sign(s) in the FCC license database. Jahnke says 
the easiest way is to do this electronically via the ULS, and the 
process now is fairly straightforward.

The current edition of Form 605, dated December 2003, is available 
on the FCC forms page, http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/index.html.

For more information or assistance, contact the FCC Consumer Center, 
toll-free, 888-CALLFCC (888-225-5322) and select option 2, or via 
e-mail at, [email-masked].
NNNN
/EX

*[NOTE: I have inserted other relevant information, in brackets. -A.D.,
N3HOE]

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/