Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Scotland Votes For The Motorola MTH800 Terminal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:52:40 -0400

Scotland Votes For The Motorola MTH800 Terminal

Seven Scottish Police Forces Have Decided to Deploy Motorola's MTH800
Handset to Their Officers on the National Public Safety Network

LONDON, April 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola (NYSE:MOT) today
announces that seven Scottish Police Forces have made a joint decision
to choose the MTH800, Motorola's newest Airwave terminal, for their
officers to use on the new public safety communications network for
Scotland.

This decision is a milestone in terms of collaborative action for
Scottish Police Forces in the choice of terminal for their officer's
operational communications. Assistant Chief Constable Ricky Gray
commented: "The agreement across seven Scottish Police Forces to
purchase Motorola digital radio terminals represents not only a
significant collaborative procurement exercise but also a major
milestone in the successful implementation of the Airwave Service in
Scotland."

Each Force operates independently and faces a variety of policing
challenges unique to its particular region. This diversity includes
policing the densely populated urban environments of Strathclyde region,
protecting the Scottish parliament's seat of government in the Lothian
and Borders region as well as responding to the needs of geographically
remote communities by the Northern Constabulary whose territory extends
as far as the Shetland Islands.

Enhanced communication possibilities appreciated by users

The rugged flexibility and innovative features of Motorola's MTH800 with
its colour display and integral GPS were a hit with all of the Forces.
One of the early forces to go live will be Lothian and Borders. Chief
Inspector David Sturrock, was impressed by the capability that the
MTH800 offered for enhanced communications. He said, "The thorough
evaluation carried out by Lothian and Borders Police and the coordinated
approach by all the Scottish Forces has resulted in Motorola being
selected as our preferred supplier for hand- portable terminals. This is
a significant step forward in our ability to provide enhanced
communications for our staff and improve our service to the public."

Each Force will exploit the flexibility of the MTH800 to fit in with its
particular operational needs and work with Motorola to continue the
development of special features and applications. Gary Maughan,
Motorola's Director of Public Safety Terminal business in the UK said,
"We have been working closely with the Scottish Forces for two years,
sharing our ideas with all of them, taking their feedback and developing
our terminals' capabilities with the operational enhancements the forces
wanted. This joint decision in favour of the MTH800 is superb news."

Colour display has a variety of operational uses

The most recent demonstrations of the MTH800 to the Scottish Forces
included the display of images captured on a simple digital camera and
transmitted live to the terminal. The large, high definition colour
display on the MTH800 will in due course enable a wide range of image
types to be displayed with exceptional clarity, including mugshots,
incident views, digital maps or specialised graphics such as Force
logos. During the evaluations in Scotland, the colour display performed
extremely well in a variety of environments including the typical sodium
lighting of city centres.

Significant user functions have also been enhanced with colour.  The
battery level icon not only shows the state of charge left in the
battery graphically but it changes colour as well. A fully charged
battery is shown in green and, progressively, the icon will turn to red
when a pre-defined low battery state is reached. Superintendent Jim
Johnstone, for Strathclyde, Scotland's largest force, could see how the
MTH800 would contribute to providing a high quality of service delivery
by the police. He said, "Strathclyde Police are satisfied that the
Motorola MTH800 terminal best meets the communication needs of the Force
and will enable our staff to turn the anticipated business benefits of
the introduction of the Airwave digital communication service into a
high quality policing service to the people of Strathclyde."

Location performance was excellent in Northern latitudes

Operational possibilities are further enhanced with another of the
terminal's features - the integrated GPS receiver. An officer's location
can be accurately plotted by control room staff in order to get a better
idea of overall resource deployment. And, in conjunction with the
emergency button that sends a high priority call to the control room, an
officer's location can be pinpointed accurately in order to send backup
to the incident. The sensitivity of the GPS antenna produced excellent
performance in tests carried out in the challenging physical environment
of Glasgow's city centre. Because of the orbit paths, any GPS device
operating in northern latitudes will 'see' fewer satellites. In spite of
this, the location accuracy of the integral GPS was excellent.
'Best value package'

The decision in favour of the MTH800 brings with it a package of
commercial as well as technical benefits for all the Forces. Motorola's
approach is to bring together a variety of options for the customer
which recognise the individual needs of Forces and ensures the
after-sales support is highly attractive. The package of benefits looks
at a five year timescale and offers technical and commercial support
including a battery management service that will offer environmentally
acceptable battery trade-in and recycling.

This award of the portable terminal contract is the next chapter in a
long and successful history of support for public safety radio
communications in Scotland by Motorola. The seven Scottish Forces who
have collaborated on the decision for the MTH800 are Central Scotland
Police, Dumfries & Galloway Police, Fife Constabulary, Lothian & Borders
Police, Northern Constabulary, Strathclyde Police and Tayside Police.

The terminal will also be used by officers from the Scottish Drug
Enforcement Agency (SDEA) who will benefit from the terminal's
capability of fitting into an end-to-end encryption regime to offer high
levels of security for operational communications. Forces will be
going-live on the Airwave network over the next two years. When fully
operational, some seventeen thousand terminals could be in use across
Scotland.

The MTH800 Motorola TETRA handportable has proved to be a massive
success since its launch in late 2003. To date in 2004, eleven out of
the twelve Police Forces in the UK who have announced their handportable
decisions have chosen the Motorola MTH800. The product is available
worldwide to all markets that use TETRA and has been designed with the
global requirements of users in mind.  Motorola has been awarded more
than 130 TETRA contracts in more than 45 countries and is a founder
member of the TETRA Association.
About TETRA:
The Airwave service uses TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA), a new open
digital trunked radio standard which is defined by the European
Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to meet the needs of
the most demanding professional mobile radio users.
For more information visit:
  Motorola TETRA: www.motorola.com/tetra
  TETRA MoU: www.tetramou.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/