Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pervasive Connectivity: Unlicensed Spectrum Presentations Available

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:11:57 -0400

From: Michael Calabrese <[email-masked]
Date: April 27, 2004 2:57:41 PM EDT
Subject: Pervasive Connectivity: Unlicensed Spectrum Presentations
Available

Dear Colleagues,

Based on the feedback we've received, the April 16th New America
Foundation conference, "Pervasive Connectivity: How Unlicensed
Spectrum Will Help the World Go Wireless," provided an excellent
overview of the wide variety of innovative applications and services
offered in the unlicensed spectrum bands.  In case you were unable to
attend, we've posted a number of the presentations from the event on
our website:

(http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=event&EveID=351)

Of particular interest is the video and presentation by Ed Thomas, the
FCC's Chief of the Office of Engineering and Technology, as he
announced two groundbreaking FCC proposed rulemakings which could make
our vision for universal and affordable high-speed broadband over
unlicensed spectrum a reality:

1) A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to allow unlicensed
operation at higher power levels (25 Watt EIRP) in the 3650-3700 MHz
Band.  This proceeding could greatly benefit rural communities with no
affordable access to broadband services. New wireless technologies,
such as WiMax, could use this spectrum for longer distance, last-mile
connections to the home, and for more affordable wireless backhaul
connections to the Internet backbone. The NPRM (ET Docket No. 04-151)
is available here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-100A1.pdf

2) Due out later this year, an NPRM proposing rules to allow
unlicensed operation in the unoccupied, "white space" channels of the
low-frequency TV broadcast bands.  As a follow-up to the 2002 Notice
of Inquiry (ET Docket No. 02-380), the Commission is exploring rules
to put this incredibly valuable spectrum to use as a primary protocol
for last-mile wireless Internet access.  These low-frequency bands
have the potential to greatly expand the reach and penetration of
WiFi-type services, should the rules for using broadcast TV white
space be consistent with existing Part-15 regulations for unlicensed
operations.  The FCC's NOI from 2002 provides a glimpse at the
Commission's direction

(http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-02-328A1.pdf)

and the New America Foundation et al. comments to this proceeding
detail how access to the broadcast bands are vital for unlicensed
wireless to reach its full potential:

http://www.newamerica.net/Download_Docs/pdfs/Pub_File_1212_1.pdf

Ed Thomas' Presentation:
"What is Happening at the FCC?" Adobe PDF:
http://www.newamerica.net/Download_Docs/pdfs/Doc_File_215_1.pdf
Link to Ed Thomas Presentation Video (Real Player, QuickTime, or
Windows Media) :

http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=event&EveID=365

Other Highlights from the Conference:

* The Public Release of the New America Foundation's "Cartoon Guide to
Federal Spectrum Policy" by J.H. Snider & Nigel Holmes
(http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&pubID=1555)

* Video presentations by Kevin Werbach, Supernova Group
(http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=event&EveID=364)
and William Lehr, MIT
(http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=event&EveID=366)

* A New, Spectrum Policy Program Working Paper (in Comment DRAFT form)
by MIT Economist, William Lehr, on the "Economic Case for Dedicated
Unlicensed Spectrum Below 3 GHz"
(http://www.newamerica.net/Download_Docs/pdfs/Pub_File_1548_1.pdf)

* A collection of "Unlicensed Wireless Broadband Profiles: Community,
Municipal and Commercial Success Stories,"
(http://www.newamerica.net/Download_Docs/pdfs/Pub_File_1547_1.pdf)

* A "Community Wireless Networks Fact Sheet" put together by FreePress
and the Champaign-Urbana Community Wireless Network
(http://www.freepress.net/wifi/wireless_practices.pdf)

These documents and others are all available on the conference home
page, http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=event&EveID=351 and on
the Spectrum Policy Program web site, www.spectrumpolicy.org.

We hope you find this to be useful.

Sincerely,

Michael Calabrese
Vice President and Director, Spectrum Policy Program

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG