Subject: [NEXTEL-1] T-Mobile increases 3G spectrum ownership

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:02:51 -0400

T-Mobile increases 3G spectrum ownership

Subject to approval from Austria’s Telekom Control Commission, T-Mobile
Austria will be acquiring a UMTS frequency package of 2 x 5 MHz from 3G
Mobile. This will give T-Mobile Austria UMTS frequencies of 2 x 15 MHz
in the paired range and 10 MHz in the unpaired range.

“This additional block of frequencies will ensure that we can provide
optimum quality UMTS network capacity to our more than two million
customers. This will allow us to offer the complete bandwidth in data
and multimedia applications,“ says Dr Georg Pölzl, CEO of T-Mobile
Austria.

In December 2003, Telefonica Moviles had transferred its share of 3G
Mobile, including frequency allocations, to Mobilkom Austria, thus
withdrawing from the Austrian market. Approval from the regulating
authorities for this move had conditions attached: one of the two blocks
of frequencies had to be handed over to a company which did not have
corporate links to Mobilkom and which could use the frequencies to
provide mobile communications services. T-Mobile Austria submitted its
offer and its bid was accepted. Commercial usage of these frequencies
will begin in 2005.
Currently, T-Mobile Austria offers UMTS network coverage of around 40%,
and is continually expanding its coverage. Pölzl continues:

“This new acquisition of frequencies is another milestone in the
expansion of the basis for our multimedia services. T-Mobile Austria
wants to provide its multimedia services via all technological platforms
(UMTS, GPRS, W-LAN), so that customers can use all applications at any
time and regardless of the type of technology.  We will soon be
launching our first specific services, such as a mobile jukebox which
will allow users to download current chart sounds on to their mobile
phones. New data tariffs are also already in the pipeline.”

Posted to the site on 05-Apr-04

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10970.shtml

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/