Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PulseLink offers way out of UWB standard impasse

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:11:36 -0400

------------------------------------------------------------------------

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  PulseLink offers way out of UWB standard impasse

  UWB technology company PulseLink says it has developed a common signaling
  protocol, which may well allow the reconciliation of the competing
  proposals for the UWB standard: the multiband approach advocated by the
  Intel-led MBOA Alliance and the direct sequence approach pushed by the
  Motorola-led group. Perhaps we should use the term "side-step" rather than
  "reconcile" because PulseLink's solution would allow any number of UWB
  standards to operate simultaneously if the different devices use an agreed
  low-speed signaling mode to negotiate. The FCC is showing interest in
  PulseLink's software-defined cognitive radio approach to the problem.

  For more on PulseLink's UWB solution:
  - see Peter judge's report
  - and this report
  - and Judge's more general discussion of UWB

  PLUS: Keyspan is shipping a new USB Server, which enables attached USB
  devices to be used and shared by client PCs on a LAN. In addition to
  printers, the USB Server supports other USB devices such as scanners and
  multifunction printers. The USB Server has an MSRP of $129. See details on
  the company's site.

  ALSO: Multispectral Solutions (MSSI) has been awarded a Phase II contract
  by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) under its
  Networking in Extreme Environments (NETEX) initiative. The contract is
  valued at more than $6.3 million and will include the development of a next
  generation wireless networking and communications capability for the
  Department of Defense using MSSI's patented UWB technology. See this
  release.
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                           .

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                          .

[Image][Image]