Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile data now "mainstream"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:21:52 -0400

Found at: http://www.in-sourced.com/article/articleprint/1629/-1/1/

Mobile data now "mainstream"

With 54% of In-Stat/MDR’s Consumer Mobility Study respondents currently
using one or more wireless data services, the high-tech market research
firm believes wireless data in the US has made it to prime time. SMS
appears to be the leader among mobile data services used by survey
respondents, however, Internet access services, ringtones, and mobile
games all had strong showings.

With 54% of In-Stat/MDR’s Consumer Mobility Study respondents currently
using one or more wireless data services, the high-tech market research
firm believes wireless data in the US has made it to prime time. In
addition, other results from the firm’s survey demonstrate very few
notable differences between basic demographic characteristics of
wireless data users and those of non-data users, indicating that mobile
data usage is now a mainstream phenomenon across multiple demographic
groups.

Rather than demographics themselves, the key distinctions between users
and non-users lie in the value that the subscribers offer to wireless
carriers and handset makers. "Mobile data subscribers offer significant
value to wireless carriers, content/application developers, and handset
makers," reports Clint Wheelock, Director of In-Stat/MDR’s wireless
group. "In-Stat/MDR finds that wireless data customers use 42% more
voice minutes than non-data users, in addition to spending an average of
19% more on their total wireless bill each month and 64% more on their
current handset."

In-Stat/MDR has also found that:

SMS appears to be the leader among mobile data services used by survey
respondents, however, Internet access services,
ringtones, and mobile games all had strong showings.

The national wireless carriers are on a relatively even plane with
respect to wireless data adoption. According to survey results,
Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Cingular Wireless, and Sprint PCS are
evenly represented both among mobile data subscribers and non-data
users.

T-Mobile and Nextel show strength with a relatively higher take rate of
data services among their customers.
Responses indicate a greater-than-average adoption of wireless data
usage among ethnic minorities, particularly Asian
Americans and Hispanic Americans.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/