Subject: [NEXTEL-1] `Nascow' on its way to Dry Valley

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 05:47:56 -0400

`Nascow' on its way to Dry Valley

NASCAR's new sponsor, Nextel, will display itself prominently in
every imaginable place

04/18/04

MIKE BOLTON
News staff writer

For the unknowing, Talladega Superspeedway is not located in Talladega.
The behemoth of a race track is located in the hamlet of Dry Valley, a
sleepy little farming community where the need for cell phone service
typically is not of utmost importance.

On Talladega race weeks, though, Dry Valley awakens to become one of
Alabama's largest cities. Hundreds of thousands of people want to use
their cell phones during that time. Dry Valley area is not equipped to
handle such cell phone traffic.

What do you do, then, when
you are Nextel, the primary
sponsor of NASCAR's premier
series and a sponsor that
boasts of the merits of its cell
phone and walkie-talkie
service?

Well, you make sure your cell
phones work and you close
the door on others.

Nextel takes its "Nascow" - a
combination of "NASCAR"
and "Cell On Wheels" - to
each Nextel Cup Series race
where cell phone and
walkie-talkie service might be in question. The apparatus consists of
six
cell phone towers. Nextel's Supercows each have three cell phone towers.

"We'll bring our Nascow to the infield and we'll have two more Supercows

outside the track," said Crystal Carraway, NASCAR Nextel Cup Series
spokesperson. "It is of utmost importance to us that our customers will
be
able to communicate."

Talladega Superspeedway in years past has handled the problem of cell
phone service at the track on race weeks by leasing temporary cell phone

tower space to major cell phone companies. Nextel's contract with
NASCAR prohibits any competitor from being on the track premises.

Cell phone providers other than Nextel will not be allowed to erect
temporary towers on the speedway property, track spokesman Rick
Humphrey confirmed.

"I'm sure they have already secured property outside the track to erect
their towers," Humphrey said.

With Winston no longer a sponsor, fans at Talladega for next weekend's
Aaron's 499 will for the first time be bombarded with Nextel. The
communications company will display itself prominently in about every
direction a fan can look.

"Most visible will the `Nextel Experience,' a 6,400-square-foot
interactive
mobile exhibit," Carraway said.

The enclosed facility boasts six Nextel Cup car simulators that allow
fans
to "drive" around Talladega Superspeedway while a spotter communicates
with the driver via Nextel communications. Fans can also participate in
pit
crew demonstrations in which a crew works on a full-size Nextel Cup car
and they can view racing memorabilia.

Fans will also be able to see the latest in Nextel technology including
11
driver phones that have pictures of popular drivers on them.

Nextel service centers will be scattered all around the track Friday
through
Sunday.

"Fans can take their Nextel phones in for service and on-the-spot
repairs.
Most of the repairs will be free," Carraway said.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/108227984058180.xml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/