Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Guangdong Unicom To Launch PTT Services In May?

From: marcel_rf1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:20:48 -0000

Guangdong Unicom To Launch PTT Services In May? 
March 30, 2004   
A report in Interfax suggests that Guangdong Unicom, which is a 
subsidiary of China Unicom, may officially launch Push-to-Talk (PTT) 
services at the end of May, 2004. 

China Unicom and China Mobile have been researching the potential of 
PTT wireless services, which enable mobile phones to form a 
connection without the necessity of a relay through a mobile network, 
making the service both less expensive than current mobile options 
and also requiring less electricity. 

Cheng Xiao, an official from Guangdong Unicom's General Business 
Office, told Interfax in an interview: "Of all the subsidiaries under 
both China Unicom and China Mobile, I think Guangdong Unicom will be 
the first operator domestically to provide PTT service. We will soon 
finish the public tendering we initiated this March to buy PTT 
solutions." Although Guangdong Unicom's tendering has attracted 
vendors such as Qualcomm, Vas Telecom Technology and Motorola, no 
results have yet been released. 

One obstacle in the way of PTT services in China is the issue of 
interoperability between different PTT enabled mobile phones, as 
different brands could not be compatible, even if on the same 
network. The Open Mobile Alliance is planning to release unified 
technology standards for PTT services worldwide, but these have yet 
to be implemented and, until such time interoperability will continue 
to be a problem. 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/