Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FROM THE WHITE HOUSE- Broadband Rights-of-Way Memorandum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 06:53:09 -0400

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
April 26, 2004

Broadband Rights-of-Way Memorandum
Memorandum
April 26, 2004

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
SUBJECT: Improving Rights-of-Way Management Across Federal

Lands to Spur Greater Broadband Deployment

Broadband, also known as high-speed Internet access, has the potential
to bring new services and products
to American consumers and businesses, fostering innovation, investment,
and job-producing economic
growth. My Administration has long recognized the economic vitality that
can result from broadband
deployment and is working to create an environment to foster broadband
deployment. All Americans should
have affordable access to broadband technology by the year 2007.  A key
to widespread broadband deployment is ensuring that broadband providers
have timely and cost-effective access to rights-of-way so that they can
build out their networks across the Nation. These networks often need to
cross large areas of land owned or controlled by the Federal Government.
Thus, effective and efficient Federal rights-of-way policies and
practices are critical for promoting broadband deployment.
To ensure that the Federal Government's rights-of-way policies and
practices facilitate the aggressive
deployment of broadband networks, my Administration created a Federal
Rights-of-Way Working Group
composed of representatives from most of the major Federal agencies with
land management
responsibilities. The mission of the Working Group was to identify and
recommend changes in Federal
policies, procedures, regulations, and practices that would improve the
process of granting rights-of-way for
broadband communications networks on lands under Federal jurisdiction.

Based on information gathered from the communications industry, the
Federal agencies, state, local, and
tribal representatives, and other stakeholders, the Working Group has
produced a report entitled, "Improving
Rights-of-Way Management Across Federal Lands: A Roadmap for Greater
Broadband Deployment," which
sets forth specific recommendations in four main areas.

(1) Information Access and Collection -- to streamline and

standardize applications to reduce the administrative burden and costs
on broadband providers.
(2) Timely Process -- to speed Federal agencies' consideration of

rights-of-way applications.
(3) Fees -- to ensure that fees charged by Federal agencies are
reasonable and appropriate.
(4) Compliance -- to ensure that Federal agencies have the proper

tools to promote compliance with rights-of-way grants or permits.
These recommendations are designed to assist Federal agencies in
efficiently and effectively performing
their vital role as stewards of the public lands, while working
cooperatively with industry to spur broadband
deployment.

Therefore, I hereby direct the heads of executive departments and
agencies (agencies) to take appropriate
actions to implement the specific recommendations contained in the
report to the maximum extent practicable and as permitted by law.

In addition, agencies should review their existing policies and
procedures and identify any additional ways to
improve the process for granting rights-of-way for broadband
communications networks. Agencies should
report to me, through the Director of the Office of Management and
Budget, within 1 year of the date of this
memorandum on all actions taken. The agencies shall take these actions
using existing budget authority.
GEORGE W. BUSH

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/