Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Big Spenders Threaten Qualcomm

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:22:22 -0400

Big Spenders Threaten Qualcomm
By Scott Moritz
TheStreet.com Senior Writer

4/5/2004 6:52 AM EDT

URL: http://www.thestreet.com/tech/scottmoritz/10152164.html

Qualcomm (QCOM:Nasdaq) investors are busy dancing in the streets, but 
an emerging set of rival wireless technologies threatens to dampen 
the festivities. 

Having conquered nearly half the U.S. market and laid the groundwork 
for a repeat performance in China and India, Qualcomm has proven its 
many skeptics wrong. Its code division multiple access, or CDMA, 
wireless standard is sweeping the world in many forms, and it 
continues to win fans. Qualcomm's stock hit yet another two-year high 
Friday, rising $1.95 to close at $68.23. 

But instead of uncorking the champagne, industry observers are 
watching a new generation of technologies that could derail the 
Qualcomm locomotive. 

Competitors ranging from chip industry powerhouse Intel (INTC:Nasdaq) 
to closely held technology venture, Flarion, have been busy cooking 
up new systems that aim to deliver faster, cheaper mobile Net access. 
Industry analysts say these rival offerings, backed by deep-pocketed 
sponsors, could soon be eating away at Qualcomm's market dominance. 
Max and Flash

For starters, Intel and telecom equipment giants like Alcatel 
(ALA:NYSE) and Siemens (SI:NYSE) have been pushing ahead with a 
wireless broadband standard called 802.16e. This technology, more 
affectionately known as WiMax, picks up where WiFi left off, enabling 
laptop users to keep a fast connection while traveling. The link 
could also serve as a phone connection for voice-over-Internet-
protocol, or VoIP, calls. 

"The fact that Intel is involved with WiMax is not insignificant," 
says Nitin Shah, broadband wireless analyst with tech research and 
strategy shop RHK. 

Shah says the wireless industry is ripe for yet another phase of 
network investment. "All it takes is the right combination of 
spectrum, standards and scale," says Shah, adding that 
standardization of WiMax might be the "tipping point," since it would 
open the market to competing suppliers operating on a common 
platform. 

Another technology that has caught the industry's imagination is 
flash-orthogonal frequency division multiplexing, or Flash-OFDM. The 
idea was spawned in Lucent's (LU:NYSE) Bell Labs and spun off in a 
separate business called Flarion, based in Bedminster, N.J. 

Flarion, which has investments from Lucent and Cisco (CSCO:Nasdaq) 
among others, was recently chosen by Nextel (NXTL:Nasdaq) on a trial 
basis to test its fast mobile Internet connections in Raleigh, N.C. 
Notably, networking gearmaker Nortel (NT:NYSE) is helping with the 
installation and management of the Flarion equipment for the trial. 

While it's obviously too early to pick any winners, the long-range 
concerns coupled with more immediate doubts have some Qualcomm bulls 
starting to fear the company may be peaking. 
Spin Cycle

Reports last week of grumblings about steep royalty rates in South 
Korea helped renew concerns that Qualcomm's golden revenue stream may 
not go unchallenged forever. And even otherwise good news contained 
some ominous signs. There were reports late last month that demand 
for some of Qualcomm's chips has outpaced supply, which was 
interpreted in some circles as one of those top-of-the-cycle signs. 

On Thursday, Bank of America analyst Tim Long cut his Qualcomm rating 
to neutral. He cited, among other reasons, the growing popularity of 
enhanced data rates for global evolution, or EDGE, upgrades in 
Europe. Those allow stingy telcos to delay more costly investments in 
the 3G networking gear known as WCDMA. 

But owning patents to the fastest-growing wireless standard in the 
world gives Qualcomm a considerable safety margin. In fact, the 
company's massive shift -- from upstart proponent of the "other way" 
to heir apparent to the "only way " -- has been remarkable. 

After years of lobbying and virtual arm twisting, Qualcomm has been 
able to convince nearly every wireless telco that some variant of 
CDMA will be incorporated into 3G wireless upgrades. Still, as 
cellphones morph slowly into mini computers, the gear war doesn't end 
with 3G. 

Qualcomm has offered a fast data product called evolution data only, 
or EV-DO, which Verizon Wireless is using to outfit its network for 
Internet users. That's a key victory, because Verizon is the nation's 
largest cell-phone service. 

But industry observers point out that EV-DO has some faults. To 
handle data, EV-DO must rob the network of valuable voice capacity. 
And the service is expensive to boot. 

RHK's Shah estimates that EV-DO costs users between $1 and $3 for 
every megabit of information they receive or send. That compares with 
the 5 cents users are accustomed to paying with their in-home 
broadband connections. 

Flarion's solution, according to Nextel, would cost considerably 
less. 

Though Flarion is a closely held company, that hasn't stopped some 
Wall Street analysts from projecting the impact Flash-OFDM could have 
on equipment spending. 

Deutsche Bank analysts predict that of all the emerging fast mobile 
data technologies, Flarion's Flash addresses the largest market 
opportunity. By Deutsche Bank estimates, as much as $2.9 billion 
could be spent on Flash-OFDM gear over the next five years. That 
edges out Qualcomm's EV-DO, which could attract as much as $2.7 
billion in spending. Deutsche Bank has done underwriting for 
Qualcomm, and has no banking ties to Flarion. 

So there's still ample reason for Qualcomm investors to celebrate -- 
but they may not have exclusive rights to the VIP room.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/