Subject: [NEXTEL-1] $100M MTA ANTI-TERROR PLAN IS ON TRACK

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:45:02 -0400

$100M MTA ANTI-TERROR PLAN IS ON TRACK

By CLEMENTE LISI

April 27, 2004 -- The MTA will spend $100 million to develop a security
program to
protect its sprawling transportation network from a terror attack,
officials said yesterday.

The agency has enlisted the help of four consulting firms that will
assess weaknesses
and implement long-term anti-terrorism measures designed to "address the
continued threat to the MTA's
transportation network."

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the consultants would
pinpoint structural vulnerabilities and could
recommend building additional command centers and installing new
surveillance cameras.

The funds are the first to be spent from a pool of $591 million awarded
to the MTA last year by the state and the
Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The feds, who contributed $142 million of the $591 million, set a 2006
deadline for a portion of the funds to be
used.

Even though details on how the MTA plans to spend the money remains a
closely guarded secret, the agency
has made numerous security enhancements since 9/11, including boosting
its police force from 521 officers in
2001 to 723 this year.

Other measures have included installing surveillance cameras in tunnels
that run under the East River and
placing sensors at stations that analyze air and sound a silent alarm in
the event of a biological or chemical
attack.

The city has also increased its police budget to beef up subway patrols.

The MTA's transportation network stretches out over a 5,000-square-mile
area that includes Long Island, upstate
New York and Connecticut.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/23358.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/