Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sec. 309. - Application for license- The "Application Killer" for Nextel]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:55:47 -0400

Timmy,

Clean your bifocals.......

"It is crystal clear, spectrum used for wireless services should be sold
at competitive auction," said Travis Larson, a CTIA spokesman.

Sec. 309. - Application for license
(a) Considerations in granting application

Subject to the provisions of this section, the Commission shall
determine, in the case of
each application filed with it to which section 308 of this title
applies, whether the public
interest, convenience, and necessity will be served by the granting of
such application, and, if
the Commission, upon examination of such application and upon
consideration of such other
matters as the Commission may officially notice, shall find that public
interest, convenience,
and necessity would be served by the granting thereof, it shall grant
such application.

<SNIP>

(j) Use of competitive bidding
(1) General authority

If, consistent with the obligations described in paragraph (6)(E),
mutually exclusive applications are accepted for any initial license or
construction permit, then, except as provided in paragraph (2), the
Commission shall grant the license or permit to a qualified applicant
through a system of competitive bidding that meets the requirements of
this subsection.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/309.html