Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC proposes more unlicensed spectrum for wireless broadband

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:26:41 -0400

FCC proposes more unlicensed spectrum for wireless broadband
By Jeffrey Silva
April 15 13:30:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—Federal regulators today proposed setting aside more
unlicensed spectrum for wireless broadband operations, which could make
it easier for vendors to build devices that work across all Wi-Fi
frequencies and create new wireless Internet opportunities in rural
America.

The initiative, launched today by the Federal Communications Commission,
would reserve 50 megahertz in the 3.6 GHz band for unlicensed wireless
Internet operations. The proposal would allow transmissions at power
levels higher than currently permitted for Part 15 unlicensed devices.

About 100 satellite earth stations—mostly located on the East and West
Coasts—are licensed in the 3650 MHz band.  The FCC said wireless
Internet service providers could use cognitive technology to safeguard
against harmful interference to fixed satellite links.

Edmond Thomas, chief of the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology,
said manufacturers have indicated that with unlicensed frequencies
already residing above (5 GHz) and below (2.4 GHz) the 3.6 GHz band,
they can develop universal Wi-Fi products that work on all three
frequency bands.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17724
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/