Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Eyes on Raleigh

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:45:01 -0400

As someone who is participating in the Nextel Raleigh/Durham test, I can say
that I am very impressed with the speed, coverage, ease of use, and
reliability so far.

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory
http://twowayradiodirectory.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:40:27 -0400

Tuesday, April 13, 2004 
Eyes on Raleigh
April 13, 2004 2:18pm
Wireless Review

To date, technologies such as flash-OFDM, S-CDMA and UMTS-TDD have 
not received much respect as 3G alternatives in the U.S. market. 
Certainly, it is no fault of the marketing departments at the three 
vendors that champion these solutions — Flarion Technologies, Navini 
Networks and IPWireless, respectively. Any carrier (or magazine 
reporter covering carriers) will tell you these companies have been 
energetic, to say the least, about stating their cases.

Still, while each solution has seen some limited commercial 
deployment outside the U.S., its has been difficult for them to get 
past the lab-testing phase inside the U.S. This probably has less to 
do with the commercial readiness of these technologies than it does 
with the fact that most U.S. carriers view their infrastructure 
technology choices as all-or-nothing religious commitments. They 
have made their choices, either CDMA2000 or GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and 
they're sticking to them.

But there is a shake-up underway, courtesy of Nextel Communications, 
the carrier that seems to specialize in shake-ups. Nextel is 
currently involved in a trial of Flarion's flash-OFDM solution in 
Raleigh, N.C. (There also have been rumors that Nextel is testing 
technology from at least one of the firms mentioned above).

While the Raleigh field-test sounds like just another technology 
trial of one of the forgotten broadband wireless technologies, it 
could be the big break these 3G alternatives have been waiting for. 
While not necessarily making a commitment for broad commercial 
deployment, Nextel also hasn't made any other decisions about its 3G 
evolution, so it has no previous religious commitments that would be 
violated.

Also, the carrier is testing a theoretical business model — the idea 
that it could deliver broadband for $20 or less per month, making 
the service an alternative to DSL and cable modems for home users.

So, Nextel is garnering not only the notice of its direct mobile 
competitors, but also the wary attention of telcos that have done 
little with broadband wireless thus far except dabble in tests while 
their potential vendors struggled to stay in business.

The next few months could determine what Nextel does with 3G, and 
will certainly determine whether other U.S. carriers give flash-
OFDM, S-CDMA or UMTS-TDD another look.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR200404132500.2.11_6c7e000bcabc69da

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: marcel_rf1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:07:15 -0000

This is why nextel is so desperate for the 1.9 Ghz spectrum. They
don't need 1.9 Ghz for iDEN they need it for data networks like 
Flarion. You don't need speed for voice.

Anyone who thinks Nextel is going to move iDEN to 1.9 ghz is a fool.
The capital efficiencies are 3x that of 800 mhz ESMR. Carriers 
are buying CDMA 1x Tri-Mode dual band handsets for $28. Nextel wants
to get in on the cheap pricing and a large selection of 
vendors to choose from.

As for  Flarion they are on Fire!  I must hand it to Timmy for
snatching this "Jewel" up.  Let's see how they do on roll out.

Timmy gets a "Dat-A-Boy"

--- In [email-masked], "Rik Rasmussen" <hrasmussen@n...>

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:25:18 -0400

Gee, who lives in the Raleigh area?  Oh yeah, me!

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 5:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Eyes on Raleigh

Tuesday, April 13, 2004 
Eyes on Raleigh
April 13, 2004 2:18pm
Wireless Review

vendors that champion these solutions - Flarion Technologies, Navini 

Also, the carrier is testing a theoretical business model - the idea 
that it could deliver broadband for $20 or less per month, making 
the service an alternative to DSL and cable modems for home users.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links