Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ORIGIN OF HAM SPEAK - FACT, LEGENDS AND MYTHS???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:33:51 -0400

ORIGIN OF HAM SPEAK -  FACT, LEGENDS AND MYTHS???
                        Compiled By AC6V From The Internet and Other
Unreliable Sources

ORIGIN OF DX
DX is an early telephone term for distant exchange.  "This is correct.
In the 1960s I worked in many telephone
exchanges around the United Kingdom. On the old-fashioned switchboards
with plugs and cords, circuits coming in
from distant exchanges had a label marked "DX" above the jack socket.
The operator would plug into the circuit and
announce the name of her exchange, as confirmation to the distant
operator that she was through to the correct
destination. 73 de G3NYY"
It is also defined in Funk & Wagnall's as Distance.
The term DX appears in many math formulas as distance of x.

ORIGIN OF ELMER
Not many reports on this but had a report that early Army rifle
instructors were called "Elmers".
From Ken And Mary
I believe that the term "Elmer" is a fairly new one. It has only been
widely used for perhaps the last twenty years. I recall reading of it's
origin in QST or other ham magazine sometime no earlier than the late
'70s. It refers to a specific ham whose first name was Elmer, who was a
mentor of novices in a ham club somewhere in the USA.

I started studying for my Amateur Radio license in 1963, and "Elmer" was
in use then ... and, if I recall correctly (forgettery works quite fine
here) -- seems like that was the term used when I first expressed
interest, in the 50s, while in high school physic classes. 73, Mark --
AA6DX Far Northern California. Hammin' for 37 years...

From Norm K1AA " The term "Elmer" was invented in the early 1970s (1971,
I think) by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD
(now VA3ES). "Rod still holds W9BRD and his Canadian call is
VA3ZBB........I am fortunate to still receive his
entertaining letters.....we continue our friendship from 1941 when we
were both high speed operators at WAR 73
Norm K1AA

ORIGIN OF MAYDAY
Opinions From The Internet
Why do ships and aircraft in trouble use "mayday" as their call for
help? This comes from  the French word m'aidez -
meaning "help me" - and is pronounced "mayday." (Note: not  exactly....
it's pronounced "med-ay", but close enough)

ORIGIN OF PAN PAN (URGENCY DISTRESS CALL)
From the French word 'panne' --which roughly translates to breakdown. In
radio telephony, the word PAN is repeated three times pronouncing it as
the French word 'panne'.
F5NOD, Gil Gautier confirms "It's correct ! French "Panne" means
"breakdown" ... or "out of service" or "out of order".  When you have a
Car "Panne" you have to fixe it !! ;-) ..

ORIGIN OF DE
Opinions From The Internet
Does anyone know how and why the "de" is included whenever the first
name is used. ....as in "73 de Yab". I know "de" is Dutch for "the", but
maybe that has nothing to do with it.
Close...'de' is Spanish for 'from.' Ham shorthand. 73 from Yab. An
artifact of CW usage. All wrong, "de" comes from
the french!!!!!!! language and has the translation to "from"  and "of"
in the english language. -- odo

ORIGIN OF CQ
Opinions From The Internet Let's turn to page 4 of Baarslag's Famous Sea
Rescues (formerly titled: SOS To  The Rescue): "By 1904 a number of
ships in the trans-Atlantic trade were equipped  with wireless
telegraphy. The British operators were nearly all landline telegraphers
who had left railroad or post-office keys to go to sea in the newly
opened field.
They  brought along with them not only their Morse code but also many of
their telegraphic  abbreviations and signals. One was the general call -
CQ, which had been used to  attract attention of all operators along a
wire. It preceded the time signal in the morning  at 10 o'clock and also
all notices of general importance.
CQ went to sea and became a  general call to all ships." A couple
paragraphs later, "Early in 1904 the Marconi
Company, realizing the desirability  of some universal distress signal,
filled the need by issuing the following general
order:  ``It has been brought to our notice that the call `CQ' (All
Stations) while being satisfactory  for general purposes, does not
sufficiently express the urgency required in a signal of distress.
Therefore, on and after the 1st of February, 1904, the call to be given
by ships in distess,  or in any way requiring assistance, shall be
`CQD.' '' " To me, this implies that prior to 1 Feb 1904, some ship did
use CQ as a distress call, and possibly her calls for help didn't draw
the needed attention. (This was before the  twice-per-hour Silent
Periods were created - 600m was pure bedlam, and a CQ  would have gone
unheeded.)
For more radio history, visit your local research library. But please
don't make up "facts."  (Am I the only one who
believes that questions concerning radio history should be  included in
the amateur exams?) 73, Jeff KH2PZ / KH6
From The ARRL:
The telegraph call CQ was born on the English Telegraph nearly a century
ago as a signal meaning "All stations. A notification to all postal
telegraph offices to receive the message." Its meaning was close to the
present meanings of QNC and QST. Like many other telegraph terms which
originated on the landlines, CQ was brought over into radio and used as
a general call to all ships by the Marconi Company. Other companies used
KA until the London Convention of 1912, which adopted CQ as the
international general call or "attention" signal. CQ still means,
literally, "attention" but in amateur radio its meaning is perhaps more
accurately described by Thomas Raddell who compared it to yelling "Hey,
Mac!" down a drain pipe.
But why the letters CQ? From the French, sécurité, (safety or, as
intended here, pay attention) See:
The Ocean Liner Museum, R.M.S TITANIC = MGY & OTHER RADIO ARCANA

ORIGIN OF 33
The History and Proper Use of 33 "33", the signature used between YL's
is often mis-used and its origin tends to get lost. YLRL was organized
in 1939 and it was at this time that, through YLRL women amateur Radio
Operators seemed to find their niche. "YL" was adopted as a general term
denoting any licensed Amateur feminine operator, regardless of age or
marital status.
"33" was originated this same year by Clara, W2RUF - ex W8KYR- and
adopted by YLRL for exclusive YL use. It means "Love sealed with
friendship between one YL and another YL". With this background and
meaning, it is very understandable that "33" is not only exclusive with
YL's but is NEVER used in the plural. We sign "33", never 33"s.
Reprinted from YL Harmonics, Issue #2, 1980. Thanks to Lea AB5TY for the
reference. (Note also that 73 and 88 should NEVER be used in the plural
form. You would not say Best Regards's nor Hugs and Kisses's would you?)

ORIGIN OF 73
Via Louise Ramsey Moreau, W3WRE and Charles A. Wimer KC8EHA
The following is from Louise Ramsey Moreau, W3WRE: "The traditional
expression "73" goes right back to the
beginning of the landline telegraph days. It is found in some of the
earliest editions of the numerical codes, each with
a different  definition, but each with the same idea in mind - it
indicated that the end, or signature, was  coming up.
But there are no data to prove that any of these were used.
"The first authentic use of 73 is in the publication The National
Telegraphic Review and  Operators' Guide, first
published in April 1857. At that time, 73 meant "My love to you"!
Succeeding issues of this publication continued to
use this definition of the term. Curiously  enough, some of the other
numerals used then had the same definition as they have now,  but within
a short time, the use of 73 began to change. "In the National Telegraph
Convention, the numeral was changed from the Valentine-type  sentiment
to a vague sign of fraternalism. Here, 73 was a greeting, a friendly
"word" between  operators and it was so used on all wires.
"In 1859, the Western Union Company set up the standard "92 Code." A
list of numerals  from one to 92 was
compiled to indicate a series of prepared phrases for use by the
operators  on the wires. Here, in the 92 Code, 73
changes from a fraternal sign to a very flowery "accept  my
compliments,"which was in keeping with the florid
language of that era. "Over the years from 1859 to 1900, the many
manuals of telegraphy show variations of this
meaning. Dodge's The Telegraph Instructor shows it merely as
"compliments." The Twentieth  Century Manual of
Railways and Commercial Telegraphy defines it two ways, one listing as
"my compliments to you"; but in the glossary
of abbreviations it is merely "compliments."
Theodore A. Edison's Telegraphy Self-Taught shows a return of "accept my
compliments."  By 1908, however, a later edition of the Dodge Manual
gives us today's definition of  "best regards" with a backward look at
the oldermeaning in another part of the work  where it also lists it as
"compliments."
"Best regards" has remained ever since as the
"put-it-down-in-black-and-white" meaning  of 73 but it has acquired
overtones of much warmer meaning. Today, amateurs use it more  in the
manner that James Reid had intended that it be used - a "friendly word
between operators." I hope that this helps you in some way....
73, Charles A. Wimer Amateur Radio Call:  KC8EHA Assistant Emergency
Coordinator, Trumbull County (OH)
ARRL Official  Emergency Station (OH)

Somebody  wrote: Actually "73" was a term the old telegraph operators
would use back in the old west days.  It meant that they owned a
Winchester 1873 rifle (their most prized possession) and that  when they
died they would give it to the other operator. Hense '73' meant I will
will you  my 73 rifle. '73s' meant you had more than one rifles that you
would give to them (they  were a really good friend.).
Hello, It's a nice story, but it has no basis in fact. The actual source
of "73" and "88" was the list  of numerical abbreviations used by wire
telegraphers. These abbreviations were used in a  manner similar to Q
signals today.
Here's a partial list of number abbreviations:  1 – Wait 2 - Important
business 3 - What is the time? 6 - I am ready 7 -
Are you ready?  12 - Do you understand? 13 - I understand 14 - What is
the weather? 17 - Lightning here  19 - Form
19 train order (used by RR) 21 - Stop to eat 23 - All copy 24 - Repeat
this back  30 - No more, end 31 - Form 31 train
order (used by RR) 44 - Answer promptly by wire  73 - Best regards 88 -
Love and kisses 92 - Deliver promptly 134 - Who is at the key?
Note that American Morse was used by landline telegraphers. The signal
"30" in American  Morse is "..._. ____"
(zero is an extra long dash). This was corrupted into a single
character,  "..._._" which is usually thought of today as
SK or VA, with the space between letters removed. 73 (never plural!) de
Jim, N2EY
QRPers sometimes sign off with 72 indicating they may be a mite short on
power for a full 73!

Len Anderson retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person
Writes:
After 1844 (the year of the first commercial telegraph service in the
USA, Baltimore, MD to Washington, DC), the blazing speed of the early
electromechanical sounders made it necessary for commercial telegraphers
to to use abbreviations for standard phrases in telegrams. It gave
telegraphers a chance to send more telegrams during a workday, increase
their profits, etc., etc.
A whole bunch of different two-number sub-codes were invented and used.
Few survive to today since morse codes have survived only in amateur
radio.
One of the enduring sub-codes is "73" meaning "Best regards." Hams use
it on voice, as well. It has become traditional jargon.
Morse code did NOT begin as the character = <dot-dash group> but was
originally ALL numbers! Morse got a
financial and lab mentor in railroad heir Alfred Vail who is reported to
have suggested a change from the all-number
code to one where each letter, number, and common punctuation mark has a
unique dot-dash group. This latter
improvement, along with a way to increase the distance of a landline by
using a "relay" of an electromagnet whose
magnetically-coupled switch substituted for a telegrapher's key in an
unmanned telegraph line relay station. Up to
three such  "relays" could be used on a wired telegraph circuit. That
may or may not be the etymological origin of the
word "relay" as the  component we know today.

Jim, N2EY writes on a news group
In 1859, Western Union standardized on the "92 code" in which the
numbers from 1 to 92 were assigned meanings.
It was in this list that 73 got its present meaning. Later more numbers
were added. Here's a partial list:
1  Wait a moment
2  Important Business
3  What time is it?
4  Where shall I go ahead?
5  Have you business for me?
6  I am ready
7  Are you ready?
8  Close your key; circuit is busy
9  Close your key for priority business (Wire chief, dispatcher, etc)
10  Keep this circuit closed
12  Do you understand?
13  I understand
14  What is the weather?
15  For you and other to copy
17  Lightning here
18  What is the trouble?
19  Form 19 train order
21  Stop for a meal
22  Wire test
23  All copy
24  Repeat this back
25  Busy on another wire
26  Put on ground wire
27  Priority, very important
28  Do you get my writing?
29  Private, deliver in sealed envelope
30  No more (end)
31  Form 31 train order
32  I understand that I am to ...
33  Car report (Also, answer is paid for)
34  Message for all officers
35  You may use my signal to answer this
37  Diversion (Also, inform all interested)
39  Important, with priority on thru wire (Also, sleep-car report)
44  Answer promptly by wire
73  Best regards
88  Love and kisses
91  Superintendent's signal
92  Deliver promptly
93  Vice President and General Manager's signals
95  President's signal
134  Who is at the key?

"19" and "31" refer to train orders of two different types (absolute and
permissive). They were so well known that the terms "19 order" and "31
order" were still in railroad use in the 1970s, after the telegraph was
gone from railroad operations.
The Morse code used in US wire telegraphy was the "American" Morse code,
which shares some codes with the "Continental" code we still use today.
(The continent referred to in the name is Europe, and it became the
standard code for radio work early in the 20th century).
The abbreviation "es" for "and" derives from the American Morse
character "&" which was dit dididit. The prosign "SK" with the letters
run together derives from the American Morse "30", which was
didididahdit daaaaaaaah (extra long dah is zero in that code).
There are some urban legends about Winchester rifles and such, but they
do not stand up to historical fact.
73 de Jim, N2EY

PHILLIPS CODE
The Phillips code is a shorthand code of word abbreviations for the
telegraph first published in 1879 by Walter Phillips (b. 1846 - d. 1920)

The Phillips Code (part 1 of 3)
The Phillips Code (part 2 of 3)
The Phillips Code (part 3 0f 3)
Notes

ORIGIN OF FIST
The early spark transmitters showered the operator with sparks - so
Marconi's key lever was lengthened and the padded end was beaten with
the 'fist' of the operator to send dots and dashes.

ORIGIN OF Q, R, X, AND Z CODES
Subject: Z codes This article was recently submitted to the Telecomms
Heritage Group's journal (which I edit).
 Rather than just reprint the section on Z-codes and frustrate readers,
I attach the full text.  Hope this doesn't use up too much bandwidth!
Andy G8PTH ----------------

TELEGRAPHIC CODES OF MORSE AND MEN by Kenneth Brown G0PSW
The first line telegraph message is thought to have been sent from
Washington to Baltimore  in May 1844 by Samuel
Finley Breeze Morse, (1791-1872). He is said to have tapped out  the
message, "What hath God wrought?" using a code of interrupted signals
which he and his  associate Alfred Louis Vail, (1807-1859), had
developed some years earlier.
After this  momentous achievement and following the founding of Western
Union in 1856, coast to  coast telegraph
lines were quickly installed and it then became commercially possible
to  send and receive telegraphic traffic by line.
Since then and with an eye on faster speeds of transmissions and higher
accuracy, newspapers, railways and post offices made great use of the
telegraph to provide their customers with speedy, economic, personal and
commercial communication.
This also paved the way for transmitting traffic by radio from the late
1890s following successful experiments by Marconi. One way of speeding
the flow of traffic was to operate an agreed set of short codes to
replace  well-known sentences or phrases but at that time there was no
common national or international standard. The first of many conferences
to discuss and try to resolve this issue was held in the US in April
1857, culminating with the release of the National Telegraphic Review
and Operators' Guide.
This Guide makes the first authentic reference to the well-known
greeting 73; at that time meaning love and kisses.  'Later editions kept
this definition but, as time went by, the meaning of 73 changed from a
Valentine type of greeting to a vague sign of operators' fraternalism.
Western Union, in 1859, set up the Standard 92 Code. Replacing common
sentences and phrases with selected numbers between 1 and 92 the message
was telegraphed to a distant station. At the distant end the numbers
were decoded and a plain language version delivered to the recipient.
The definition of 73 changed yet again to a very flowery accept my
compliments. From 1859 to 1900 the many telegraphic manuals show
variations of this meaning. Each major telegraph and railway company had
its own distinctive telegraphic codes. Since there was no agreed
standard all were different and, as a consequence, there was much
confusion in communicating with different networks. During this time
there were even two alphabetical morse codes the American and
Continental  (European) versions. Although there were basic similarities
there were also some major differences.
This, combined with the multiplicity of telegraphic codes, caused
confusion and made communication with and
between US establishments particularly difficult. The US 1908 Dodge's
Manual gives today's definition of 73 best
regards. Other Dodge numbers were 88 love and kisses, 55 lots of success
and 99 get lost (probably unofficial). Also,
in 1908, the British Post Office, despairing of action to agree an
international code of  abbreviations, issued its own list of two letter
abbreviations intended for use between British  coast stations and
ships.
The list, published in the PMG's Instructions to Wireless Telegraphists,
included abbreviations RA to RZ and SA to SF. The next International
Radiotelegraphic Convention, held in London in July 1912, adopted and
extended the GPO abbreviations. Q was added as the first letter and so
the Q code was born. The new code now ran from QRA to QRZ and QSA to
QSX. On 1st July 1913 the Q code finally became an official
international information code, updated as changing circumstances
demanded to include new codes relating to such matters as aviation and
maritime. Some time later came the Z code, running in parallel with the
Q code.
This originated as a company code of Cable and Wireless with application
limited, in the main, to high speeds machine morse operating at speeds
of typically 120wpm. Widely used by many countries, including Germany,
the Q code and Z code continued in use throughout the war. After the war
high-speed morse became less widely used and was replaced by other forms
of traffic communication such as RTTY and facsimile. The Z code,
therefore, gradually went out of fashion and slowly disappeared.
Examples of the Z code include ZAA you are not observing circuit
discipline, ZAN we can receive absolutely nothing, ZST send slips twice,
ZAP acknowledge please and there were lots of others.
Operating during the 1930s and early 40s, at the same time as the Z and
Q codes, was the X code, then in use by
European military services as a wireless telegraphy code. This consisted
of the letter X followed by a number. For
example X34 meant your morse is bad, X50 your morse is good, X100
affirmative, X112 interrogative, X279 what is
the strength of my signal? X496/257 I am winding in my aerial prior to
landing/i have nothing further for you. The X
code continued in use with the forces until 1942 when, at the insistence
of the US military, it was replaced by the Q code.
However, the odd X code can still is heard from veteran telegraphists
even now but not very often. So the Q code
became the standard international military and civil telegraphic letter
code used in CW communication. (Sometimes,
incorrectly, even in R/T). Published as an operators' manual, there are
separate sections available to deal with
various areas of communication. Some less well known examples of the Q
code used by base stations of the British
Army included QAU followed by QHU,meaning I am waterlogged, I am about
to jettison fuel; AS5 generally followed!
Even less well known is QGG send the pony by the next train.
Widely used by radio amateurs operating CW, today's Q code has slightly
different meanings but is still very similar to the 1912 version. One of
the great benefits of using the Q code is the pleasure in being able to
communicate with overseas operators who may not be fluent in the English
language. In conclusion, it is sad fact there will be no successor to
the Q code; no longer is the morse code taught to Royal Navy. Data
stream transmissions have displaced morse and taken over everyday
communication such is the march of time. Acknowledgements: Grateful
thanks to Pat Hawker G3VA and Peter Broom G5DQ, for their  help and
advice.
More On R-Codes and S-Codes
R - Codes and S - Codes -- Pre-1912 Brevity Codes
Large List Of Q-Codes I
Large List Of Q-Codes II
Today's Amateur Radio Q-Codes
The Missing Q-Signals -- Just For Fun -- Like QLF

ORIGINS OF ROGER WILCO
Incidentally according to the “Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase
Origins” by William and  Mary Morris(Harper Collins, New York, 1977,
1988).  ROGER -- "in the meaning of 'Yes, O.K., I understand you -- is
voice code for the letter R.  It is part of the 'Able, Baker, Charlie'
code known and used by all radiophone operators in the  services in the
40's - 50's.
From the earliest days of wireless communication, the Morse code  letter
R (dit-dah-dit) has been used to indicate
'O.K. -- understood.' So 'Roger' was the  logical voice-phone
equivalent."  Also from “I Hear America Talking” by
Stuart Berg Flexner (Von Nostrand Reinhold Co.,  New York, 1976).“Roger!
A code word used by pilots to mean
‘your message received and  understood’ in response to radio
communications; later it came into general use to
mean ‘all right, OK.’ Roger was the radio communications morse code word
for the letter R, which in this case
represented the word ‘received.’ ‘Roger Wilco’ was the reply to ‘Roger’
from the original transmitter of the radio
message, meaning ‘I have received your message that you have received my
message and am signing off.” Wilco
implies "I will comply"
Then of course there is the "Roger Beep" (Di-Dah-Dit) which legend has
it was innovated by the Space Missions as
a quick way to "Roger it" No source for this "but have it on good
authority - by a guy who was there" hi hi. From the
DX Reflector Ok, I have heard and seen a half dozen explanations, now
here is one from one who has "Been there-
Done That". "Roger" in both military and government communications
definitely came out of the old cw days (and
yes I did send/receive cw messages at the beginning of my career). The
"R" was sent as a confirmation of receipt of a
message,or a portion of a message. "R" was used, not "QSL". In voice
communications , it thus became "Roger".
Even in front-line operations such as by forward observers (I did that
too). We used Roger and Negative You had to be completely confident in
what you were sending or receiving after all, it could , and often was,
life or death as to what got thru the communications lines.  I cringe
almost every time I hear any military movie communications.  WILCO
means: I will comply with your orders. OVER means I have finished my
transmissions and turn the channel over to you to transmit. CLEAR means
I am finished with this communication and am standing by on the
channel.  OUT means I have completed transmission and am completely
finished and closing this station or switching to another channel. So
you can see why I cringe with "Roger Wilco Over, Clear and Out" WHAT
DID  HE SAY????
Navy Pilots say the use of Roger Wilco is frowned on, use one or the
other as applicable.
In addition to "R" Roger, early CW use for "correct" was Morse "C", this
carried over to the phone circuits as "Charlie". This is still used by
Morse ops and can still be heard on some military voice circuits as in
"That's Charlie" or "That's a Charlie readback". Usually following a
readback of a message and meaning 'that is correct'.  One will also see
the occasional reference to FOXTROT messages as in the "DO NOT ANSWER"
also encountered on military circuits. This is also from the CW "F"
meaning 'do not answer'.

Reports - 5 by 5 and Loud and Clear
From an old Military Radio Telephone Procedure Manual (Circa 1953). In
all probability, these came from the
Q-Signals of yore where QRK was -- What is the readability of my signals
? Answer: The readability of your signals is
... (1 to 5). And QSA  -- What is the strength of my signals ? Answer
was: The strength of your signals is ... (1 to 5).
Report of Signal Strength
5 LOUD
Your signal is very strong.
4 GOOD
Your signal strength is good.
3 WEAK
Your signal strength is weak.
2 VERY WEAK
Your signal strength is very weak.
1 FADING
Your signal strength fades to such an extent
that continuous reception cannot be relied upon.
Report of readability
5 CLEAR
Excellent quality.
4 READABLE
Quality is satisfactory.
3 UNREADABLE
The quality of your transmission is so bad
that I cannot read you.
2 DISTORTED
Having trouble reading you because your
signal is distorted.
1 WITH INTERFERENCE
Trouble reading due to interference.

RADIO CHECK
What is my signal strength and readability,
i.e., how do you hear me?

ROGER
I have received your last transmission satisfactorily.
The omission of comment on signal strength and readability
is understood to mean that reception is loud and clear.
If reception is other than loud and clear it must be described
with the prowords from above

WHY LSB BELOW 9 MHz AND USB ABOVE
NOTICE
This subject is highly controversial. Many agree with the synopsis below
- others disagree- take it for what is worth.
You have to see the circuitry for early SSB transceivers to appreciate
this -- but the easy explanation is --  in the early days of SSB design,
one of the common SSB generating schemes used a 9 MHz carrier
oscillator/IF.  Anything below that freq was inverted (LSB) compared to
those freqs above it (USB). So there was no USB/LSB switch, it
automatically went to LSB for frequencies below 9MHz and vice versa. The
protocol has stayed with us to this very day. But you can operate USB at
7 MHz and below if you want and vice versa. Few do (or should) as it is
a gentlepersons agreement (not an FCC rule).
Another opinion from the internet. Once upon a time we had 9 Mcs carrier
generators for ssb.   We used surplus
ARC-5 aircraft transmitters as a VFO.  TWO MOST popular bands were 75
and 20.  Subtract 5 Mhz from 9 and there
was 75.  ADD 5 mhz to 9 and you had 20.  The side bands were
translated.  So there is the rest of the story why 75 was LSB and 20 was
USB in general!
Another opinion from the internet. The answer is not dependent on the
ARC-5.  The original rigs generated the
sideband signal at 9 MHz and either added 5 MHz to get 14 MHz or
subtracted 5 MHz to get 4 MHz.  The addition
process preserves the sideband (upper or lower) and the subtraction
process inverts it.  Since nearly all rigs
generated the 9 MHz signal as USB, we came to use USB when adding and
LSB when subtracting.  Many hams used
the ARC-5 as a VFO for the mixer, but *any* 5 MHz VFO would do.  ARC-5s
were cheap and easy but not required.
Someone else e-mailed me complete with intricate math and vehemently sed
that there is NO inversion or translation --- hmmm I sed after being
confused with the math.

This from Sweden
Dear Mr. Dinkins,
I have "stumbled" across your very interesting web-site, and noticed
that you have some discussion about the reason for the amateur radio use
of LSB below 10 MHz and USB above.(As you probably know, the relevant
Radio Regulations explicitly prescribes the USB mode for all other
regulated SSB users).
In the early days of SSB, the frequency translation scheme of
contemporary SSB and ISB exciters used a signal
processing IF in the "few" MHz range (a common amateur IF was 5.2 MHz,
and commercial IF's were 2 and 3.1
MHz) which was mixed with a variable injection frequency. You ended up
with a sideband inversion when the IF was
subtracted from the injection frequency. (Example: to obtain 3.8 MHz LSB
using 5.2 MHz USB IF and 9 MHz injection). When the IF is added to the
injection frequency no inversion occurs. (Example: to obtain 14.2 MHz
USB using 5.2 MHz USB IF and 9 MHz injection).
Commercial ISB exciters were often equipped with 4 independent sidebands
(often called the B2 or LLSB, B1 or LSB, A1 or USB and A2 or UUSB, their
relationships to the center frequency according to  CCIR Recommendation
348-2) each containing a telephone channel or a voice frequency
telegraph system.
When international HF circuits using SSB/ISB became commonplace, it
turned out that there frequently were incompatiblity between the mixing
schemes, so there was a genuine risk that the two ends of a circuit were
using different mixing conventions, ending up in mirror-image audio
frequencies and VFT channel numbering and keying polarities.
For that reason the CCIR adopted the Recommendation 249 in 1959, in
which a provision was prescribed for inverting the ISB channel
arrangement if the operating frequency was on either side on 10 MHz.
Progress in the design of  commercial receivers and exciters (for
example the Wadley loop that made IF's above the signal frequency range
practical) soon made this Recommendation obsolete, but it seems that the
radio amateur community still hang on to its provisions.
A good account of the reasoning behind the mixing schemes of that era
can be found in the first edition of  "Single Sideband Principles and
Circuits" and in the articles "Die fernbedienbare Nachrichtensendeanlage
Elmshorn" and "Fernbedienbarer Steuervorsatz fur Kurzwellen-
Nachrichtensender", both in the December 1962 edition of the
"Telefunken-Zeitung".

73/ Karl-Arne Markstrom SM0AOM
Senior Radio Engineer
Maritime Networks

And from Don WØPEA
Hi Rod, Here is the rest of the story........
Tony Vitale W2EWL who lived in Denille NJ wrote an article in CQ in the
early1950's entitled "Cheap and Easy
Sideband".  It was a 9 Mhz USB phasing generator tweaked for optimum
suppression on LSB and an ARC-5 used as
a 5 Mhz VFO.  It summed the 9 Mhz USB signal and 5 Mhz VFO to work on 20
meters.  Sum mixing does not invert
the USB signal.  It used difference mixing to work on 75 Meters, causing
the USB signal to be inverted to LSB.  At this time commercial SSB rigs
were virtually non existent.  Shortly after this article was published,
Wes Schaum & Joe Batchelor formed Central Electronics and utilized a
similar design to make the 10A, 10B, & 20A. The few hams using
"Ducktalk" had only the capability of USB on 20 meters and LSB on 75
meters.  Thus the convention was set.  When other rigs like the 10A,
10B, & 20A came along, they followed the precedent that had been set by
the "Cheap and Easy Sideband" article by Tony Vitale.  I met Tony in
1975 when I worked for Cessna. Tony retired in the late '70's and died
in the mid 80's.
I also met Russel Farnsworth in the 1968 when I lived in Champaign Ill.
but that is another story........ Don WØPEA

ORIGINS OF VOICE NUMBERS LIKE NINER
When voice communications were being used to supplement morse code
communications, the number five was being
confused with the number nine, especially under adverse receiving
conditions, so the military adapted a number system for voice which was:

zero one two tree fower fife six seven eight niner. Sometimes fiver was
used to force the intelligibility.
In the days of cord switchboards the operators would pronounce nine as
'niyen' for the same reason.
From other sources:Also from the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language:
zero wun too tree fower fife six seven ait
niner From the Atlantic City ITU convention of 1947 the recommended
number series for voice communications
Nada zero NAH-DAH-   ZAY-ROH
Una one OO-NAH-   WUN
Bisso two BEES-SOH-   TOO
Terra three TAY-RAH-   TREE
Karte four KAR-TAY-   FOWER
Panta five PAN-TAH-   FIVE
Soxi six SOK-SEE-   SIX
Sette seven SAY-TAY-   SEVEN
Okto eight OK-TOH-   AIT
Nove nine NO-VAY-   NINER

ORIGINS OF BOATANCHOR
THREE VERSIONS -- Opinions From The Internet.
Version I -- During World War II, Military Radio Techs used the term
BoatAnchor as they  struggled with the huge, heavy, electronic
equipments of the day -- full of transformers, tubes etc. Also the US
Navy frequently marked electronic gear with an anchor. After the war --
tons of  the equipment appeared on the surplus market and was dubbed
BoatAnchors due to the reasons above - one or both.
Version II -- After WWII a national magazine editor answered a query "As
what to do with an  outdated heavy, large,
surplus electronic instrument?" and answered "Tie a line to it and use
it as a BoatAnchor"
Version III To all those who expressed interest in the CQ magazine
reference to boatanchors,  I found it after only
an hour or two of skimming. And I also found that some of my
recollections were a bit hazy after all those years. The
original letter to the editor (not to the "Surplus Editor" as I
incorrectly recalled) appeared on page 16 of the October 1956 issue of
CQ and was as follows: Gentlemen: I recently acquired a "Signal Corps
Wireless Set. No. 19 MK II Transceiver." Are there  schematics or
conversion data for this rig? Any info will be appreciated. David J.
Wilke W3LSG Pottstown, Pennsylvania The editor replied: The only
conversion we seem to have on the files here at CQ calls for 100 feet of
1" Manila line, one end of which is to be tied securely around the MK II
Transceiver.
This then converts the unit into a fine anchor for a small boat. If any
readers have better conversions we will be glad
to hear about them. Ed. This letter apparently generated a lot of
interest and in the February 1957 issue of CQ there
was a follow-up from CQ's editor, another letter from W3LSG and several
pictures. If I find  the time I will scan them
and post links to them here.
The expression "boatanchor" may have originated earlier than 1956, as
Doug Hensley pointed out. I found no earlier
references in amateur radio than these CQ's, but there may be some.
However, there was no reason to call amateur
gear of that era "boatanchors" since almost all of it fit that
description. It wasn't till later when smaller, lighter gear
became popular that there was reason to categorize some gear as
boatanchors. And it is also interesting to me that a
word originally used to denote something of little value, useful only to
anchor a small boat, has taken on a more
affectionate meaning. We love our "boatanchors". Roger K6XQ

ORIGIN OF Gonset "Gooney Bird" From W6VR Bob Gonsett
Had the good fortune to talk with Paul Lieb, KH6HME, after the Gordon
West seminar on Hawaii to Western U.S.  propagation. Paul said he was
the one who named the Gonset Communicator the "Gooney Bird."  He said
the radio was very reliable, and the other reliable thing that came to
his mind at the time was the military C-47 (Gooney Bird) aircraft.  A
fascinating factoid.
Ed Note on C-47. Air force ID was C-47. DC-3 was commercial airliner and
Douglas ID.  Also known as the
SkyTrain. They served during WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam. Blaster
version was "Puff The Magic Dragon"
Gunship AC-47 URL:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8758/ac-47.html
In the Navy they were IDed as R4D. R for transport, 4 for the fourth
navy transport, and D for Douglas.   URL:
http://www.maam.org/r4d.html

ORIGIN OF THE PROSIGNS
From the 1969 ARRL "The Radio Amateur's Operating Manual" Many of the
expressions and procedure signals still in use in radiotelegraph had
their origins in the early days of the landline telegraph - long before
Marconi sent his letter "S" across the Atlantic. In sending formal
messages by CW, the first thing a beginner hears is "don't send
punctuation. Separate the parts of the address from each other with the
prosign AA." This is ironic, because in the American Morse Code the
sound didahdidah is a comma and was doubtless the origin of our prosign.

Originally, a correctly addressed letter was punctuated with commas
following the name and the street address, each of which was (and still
is) on a separate line although the commas have been dropped, even in
mail addresses on letters. The comma was transmitted by Morse operators
and thus, AA came to mean that the receiving operator should "drop down
one line" when sent after each part of the address and it is so defined
in the operating manuals of the time.
Our familiar prosign SK also had its origin in landline Morse. In the
Western Union company's "92 code" used even
before the American Civil War, the number 30 meant  "the end. No more".
It also meant "good night". It so happens
that in Landline Morse, 30 is sent didididahdit daaah,the zero being a
long dash. Run the 30 together and it has the
same sound as SK.     -Louise Ramsey Moreau W3WRE/WB6BBO
Where Did They Come From? The end-of-message signal, AR comes from the
American Morse letters FN, meaning 'finish'. SK, from the American Morse
30, meaning half-past the hour, the end of an operator's shift. ES, for
'and' from the American Morse symbol for '&', used extensively in
written English in earlier times. And when old-timers send a long dash
for 'zero', they are actually sending the correct American Morse symbol.
History casts a long shadow.
Procedural Signals (Prosigns) for Morse Code C Q - Calling any station
(does any ham *not* know this one?)  AR - over, end of message  K - go,
invite any station to transmit  KN - 'X' go only, invite a specific
station to transmit  BK - invite receiving station to transmit  R - all
received OK  AS - please stand by  SK - end of contact (sent before
call) CL - going off the air (clear)

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE B-BATTERY ????
A and B "batteries" were multi-cell sources for the early battery
radios  - where the A battery supplied the filament; and the B battery
supplied the B+ - or plate voltage. The A batteries ran anywhere from 2
to 6 volts; (5V being the most common filament voltage; you used a
rheostat to adjust as the battery ran down); 67 and 90 volts were most
common B batteries. These used a bunch of cells - series to stack up to
the B+ voltage; the A batteries were usually series (to give enough
voltage) & parallel to give enough current.
There were also C batteries - (not to be confused with C cells) - they
usually supplied some bias (negative) voltage for output stages, etc.
Back to the "Cells" There are - or were, A and B cells, (like AA, C & D
cells today) but they aren't commonly used anymore - but they did (some
do) exist.
Here are Cell Types and their approximate specs (Being "cells" they are
all 1.5V carbon): Type Size (Diam x Height)
Wt. (lb.) Ed Note dimensions are approximate -- see Vendor data sheets
for each manufacturer's specs. i.e Eveready
ALSO SEE Standard Cylindrical Battery Sizes  -- MANY MORE SIZES HERE
A - 5/8 x 1 7/8    .046
AA - 17/32 x 1 7/8    .033
AAA - 0.41 x 1.75"   9.7 grams
AAAA -  0.327 x 1.673"   6 grams
B - 3/4 x 2 1/8    .077
C - 15/16 x 1 13/16    .1
D - 1 1/4 x 2 1/4     .22
E - 1 1/4 x 2 7/8     .29
F - 1 1/4 x 3 7/16     .35 (commonly used in packs to make A batteries)
G - 1 1/4 x 4    .4     6 - 2 1/2 x 6 2    .2 is also still around, used
both in industry and by hobbyist (glow plugs in model
airplanes and cars gas engines). These are those tall cells with two
binding posts on top - one in the center - and one at the edge.
There were also BR, CD, FL, FL-1 -> FL-9, J, K, M, N (still are), NS, &
P cells.  best regards..  Randy Guttery
Also See Powering Your Antique Battery Radio

WHAT HAPPENED TO TV CHANNEL 1  ????
In 1945, the FCC decided to move the 42-50 Mcs Original FM Radio Band to
88-106 Mcs  (later 88-108 MHz).
Because FM broadcasting would be vacating 42-50 Mcs, TV Channel 1 was
moved down to 44-50 Mcs in the old FM
band.  The TV & FM Radio Allocations which went into effect on February
25, 1946 (mybd), were as follows:
New FM radio band:  88-106 Mcs
Channel 1  44 - 50 Mcs
Channel 2  54-60 Mcs
Channel 3  60-66 Mcs
Channel 4  66-72 Mcs
Channel 5  76-82 Mcs
Channel 6  82-88 Mcs
Channels 7-13 as presently assigned

Although several television stations were scheduled to move to to the
new Channel 1, no TV stations ever broadcast on 44 - 50 Mcs.
It could not be used immediately because it was necessary for all
existing FM stations to move out of the 42-50 Mcs spectrum to the 88-106
Mcs FM Band.
When all the FM stations finally did move, the FCC decided to
re-allocate 44 - 50 Mcs to other services.   Thus, Channel 1
disappeared. There was no renumbering of the remaining channels.
MORE HISTORY OF TV CHANNELS AND FM BROADCAST BANDS

ORIGIN OF HAM
Subject: Re: Why the term ---HAM---
From: Gary Coffman) wrote:

Where did the term HAM come from? When did it come to popular use? The
*real* explanation appears to be lost in
the mists of time. There are a number of theories. Some more plausible
than others. The one you'll likely hear the most is about "little
station HAM". It goes like this. In the early days of radio, the
government didn't assign call letters to amateurs. They just made up
their own. Supposedly, three students at Harvard named Hyman, Almay, and
Murray set up a station. They decided to use their initials as the call.
Thus we have the little station HAM.
When the Navy tried to grab control of all radio frequencies, these guys
are supposed to have testified before Congress, and the story of little
station HAM supposedly didn't leave a dry eye in the house. The press is
supposed to have picked up this story of little station HAM, and
amateurs have been known as hams ever since. Unfortunately for this
story, none of it checks out. A past president of the ARRL did extensive
research in an attempt to confirm this story.
There is nothing in the Congressional record about little station HAM.
There is nothing in contemporary press
records. And there is no record of a Hyman, Almay, or Murray at Harvard
at the time this supposedly happened. This
story first surfaced in an amateur publication in 1948, and doesn't seem
likely to die. But it appears to have no factual
basis.
Another story you may hear is that ham is the result of a Cockney
pronunciation of (h)amateur. But that is unlikely for two reasons.
First, the term was in use in America before there was substantial
amateur activity in Britain. And second, voice transmission wasn't used
by amateurs of the era, so how did a pronunciation get propagated by
Morse?
Another story you may hear is that it comes from a landline
telegrapher's insult. Many operators of the day came
from a landline background, and on the landlines a common insult was
that someone was "ham fisted" in his sending.
It is possible that commercial operators used this slang to refer to
amateurs and it caught on.
Certainly, the term LID came from landline telegrapher slang. (LID was a
reference to use of a tobacco can lid on the
sounder to aid a poor operator in copying Morse.) This one may be true.
It wouldn't be the first time that a group adopted a term originally
meant as an insult to serve as a slang term for themselves.
But the one I like best goes like this. This era was filled with pulp
magazines catering to the experimenter.
(Everyone at the end of the Victorian age apparently viewed himself as a
closet inventor or tinkerer.) One of these
magazines was called Home Amateur Mechanic, and it featured many simple
radio sets a person could build. It is
likely that when asked what kind of radio an operator was using, he
might send back RIG HR ES HAM, meaning that
it was one of the circuits shown in Home Amateur Mechanic magazine.
Since telegraphers tend to abbreviate everything, due to the low
throughput of Morse, this is plausible, and Home
Amateur Mechanic magazine certainly did exist in the correct era. So it
was those HAM radios which started the use
of ham in amateur radio. Gary Coffman KE4ZV

Another Version Of Ham is from the telegraph days where a poor operator
was said to be "Ham-Fisted". Then there is this one. It is a corruption
of "AM", which was a truncation of the word "amateur".

And Still another version -- possible connection with the acting
profession. The term "Hamming it up" is often used to describe amateur
acting performances.
ARRL VERSION OF ORIGIN OF HAM
BOTTOM LINE
ORIGIN OF THE TERM HAM HAS BEEN LOST IN THE MISTS OF TIME

ORIGIN OF LID
ORIGIN OF LID My granddad was a railroad telegrapher. He said that the
term lid came from operators who would
put the lid of a Prince Albert tobacco tin on the sounder so they could
copy the code easier. It was a practice that was
frowned on by operators who did not have to do this and it became the
slang used for bad operators. They would also
say that such an operator had a "tin ear". 73 Mark WA0DC

The best explaination I have heard was that if "lid" was not sent
properly in landline (American Morse) code, it
sounded like "dd": daaah, dit dit, dah dit dit. (daaah = long dash) It
was a basic test of a proficient operator. 73 JD,
ac6pv

I have also heard that LID came from the early days of land morse.. an
operator who could not send well put a LID
eg: slowed down the traffic J. Gold WB2AFS

From The Internet ---- Actually no, it isn't the lid, but it is the can
itself. The tobacco can was shaped similar to a
pocket flask but had a flip top metal lid on it. If you removed the lid
and stuck the can in between the sounder and the
reflecting box then it amplified the sound and gave it a little rounder
tone (removed some of the click). Some of the local old timers tell me
they would fill the tobacco can with sand. Varying the depth of the sand
changed the tone.

WHY DO HAMS ABBREVIATE EVERYTHING
Telegraphers and Morse Operators abbreviate extensively due to the low
throughput of Morse code, this has
carried over to the voice circuits as well. 73 OM's es YL's de AC6V

WHEN WAS AVC (Automatic Volume Control) INVENTED
Ted Coombes reports via the Internet -- I have established that Wheeler
of the Hazeltine Laboratories invented
AVC, and that the first radio to feature an AVC circuit was the Philco
Model 95, introduced in October 1929. Alan
Douglas, in the Philco section of Vol. 2 of "Radio Manufacturers of the
1920s" cites three authoritative articles on
this subject -- a Popular Radio magazine article in late 1929 or 1930
(sorry, don't have the cite at hand), and article in
the "Proceedings of the I.R.E.", and an article on the Philco 95 in the
December 1929 issue of Radio Broadcasting
magazine. Didn't have the Popular Radio or IRE source, but I did have
the issue of Radio Broadcasting. Wouldn't you
know it -- the pages with the Philco 95 article had been removed from my
copy sometime in the past 74 years.
Author Note: Philco is short for the Philadelphia Storage Battery
Company

When Did Single SideBand Appear in Radio ?
Here's a timeline:
1910 - G.A. Cambell (of AT&T) develops LC filters suitable for SSB in
the LF range.
1914 - G.R Eglund (of Western Electric) sketches geometric relationship
of carrier and sidebands.
1915 - J.R Carson (of Western Electric) describes mathematical
foundation of modulation and shows the theoretical advantages of SSB
suppressed carrier transmission.
1915 - Carson files for patent on SSB.
1917 - Experimental 3 channel SSB telephone carrier system installed
between Maumee Ohio and South Bend,
Indiana.
1918 - "Type A" SSB telephone carrier system installed between
Pittsburgh PA and Baltimore MD. Four channels
using LSB between 5 and 25 kHz. Type A was thefirst nonexperimental
commercial use of SSB, and eventually seven
Type A systems were installed, remaining in service until the 1940s
1923 - Experimental one-way LSB 60 kHz radio system demonstrated between
Rocky Point, L.I.,(New York), and London. Many of the components,
including tubes, for this system were developed by Western Electric.
1927 - Regular transatlantic telephone service using 60 kHz LSB put in
service.
Transmitting stations at Rocky Point and Rugby, England. Receiving
stations at Houlton, Maine and Cupar, Scotland.
A three-minute call cost $75.
1932 - Carsons's SSB patent granted (17 years after filing).
1933 - Robert Moore, W6DEI, puts an amateur station on 75 meter LSB.
This station was later described in detail in
R/9 magazine. It used LC filtering at 10 kHz to generate the SSB signal,
followed by conversion to 200 kHz and 3950
kHz.
1934 - Several amateur SSB stations are in the air using rigs similar
toW6DEI's

1939 - 68 kHz channel added to Rocky Point system
1946 - R.B. Dome describes "Wide Band Phase Shift Networks" in
Electronics magazine.
1947 - O. G. "Mike" Villard, W6QYT, puts Stanford University amateur
station W6YX on 75 meter LSB with a phasing type transmitter using an
audiophase shift network developed from the Dome article.  The term
"SSSC" (Single Sideband Suppressed Carrier) was frequently used in the
early days.  This brings us to the point where SSB began to become
common in amateur communications. Numerous homebrew transmitters and
receive adapters were described in the amateur literature, followed by
manufactured equipment.  Early SSB efforts all used separate receivers
and transmitters - thefirst SSB transceivers and matched-pair
receiver/transmitter sets for the amateur market did not appear until
the late 1950s (Cosmophone 35, Collins KWM-1 & KWM-2, Collins S-Line,
etc.).

SSB operation concentrated on 75 and 20 meters in the post-WW2 years
because:
- they were the most crowded 'phone allocations
- 40 had no 'phone band, and 15 wasn't a ham band, until the early
1950s.
The main reasons SSB was not more widely adopted by hams in the '30s
were cost and complexity.
In those years (late '40s-early '50s), QST had a regular column called
"On The Air With Single Sideband". There were "SSB Handbooks" for hams
put out by several publishers. And there were gripes that QST was
becoming "too technical" and that ARRL was "forcing SSB down hams'
throats".
The more things change...   73 de Jim, N2EY

ORIGIN OF ES = AND IN CW
es as a CW abbreviation for and apparently was derived from American
Morse which has a symbol for the ampersand
(&) which sounds almost exactly like dit dididit.

Origin Of HI HI
"hi hi" is the Morse equivalent of a laugh as in Morse  it sounds like
someone chuckling ("hehhehhehheh hehheh").
That is ditditditdit   dit dit  --- or dot dot dot dot    dot dot. You
really have to listen to it sent in Morse to appreciate
its laugh like sound. It is most commonly used in CW (Morse Code), but
has carried over to voice as well. Many CW
expressions have carried over to voice -- such as 73 (Best Regards) and
88 (love and Kisses), etc. The origin
probably dates back before radio to the telegraph days. And since Hams
used Morse long before voice became
practical-- the sound of the Morse characters HI HI  was used to
resemble a laugh sound. In some sense it is
equivalent of a smiley. It's onomatopoeic  -- that is the naming of a
thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound
associated with it (as buzz, hiss) The definitive answer might be found
in the "Dodge's The Telegraph Instructor
Manual" circa 1850 to 1900. However, I have never been able to find a
copy of this document. Wish I could as it
would help to see the transitions from telegraph to radio usage.So that
is my best guess -- based on what old time
telegraphers have told me

ORIGIN OF JURY-RIG
jury-rig is based on one word "jury" which is a nautical sense meaning
'makeshift; temporary' and one word "rig"
referring to a ship's sails and masts. The first known example of this
"jury" is the compound jury-mast, 'a temporary
mast put up to replace one that has been broken or lost', attested since
the early seventeenth century. A jury-rig,
then, is 'a temporary or makeshift rigging', and the verb is used
figuratively in the sense 'to assemble or arrange
hastily in a makeshift manner'. The origin of this word "jury" is not
certain, but some scholars identify it with iuwere,
a late Middle English word meaning 'help; aid', borrowed from the Old
French ajurie

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/