Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: York County, SC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:19:54 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "j_multer" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: York County, SC

>>  http://www.heraldonline.com/local/story/3550280p-3152656c.html

>>  "York County's existing radio network is more than 50 years old 
and has not been upgraded since 1988. That means public safety 
officials have to be careful not to overlap signals with other 
emergency workers responding to different calls throughout the county.

While reports like the one in the Herald newspaper garner alot of 
attention, and help sway voters to support taxpayer spending for 
public safety communications, the reality of York County's situation 
is not so severe.

The only component of their public safety system that MAY be 50 years 
old is the low band fire communications system.  They have had 
opportunities to upgrade their system to high band on several 
occasions, including during the economic boom to the area during the 
90's, and have chosen to remain on low band ... despite all the 
surrounding S.C. counties and state forestry being on high band.

There are also low band allocations available, if they wished to 
expand the channel plan.  A couple of the departments in the county 
have acquired their own high band frequencies for tac and dispatch 
use, and the county seat - Rock Hill - moved to UHF.

Local and county law enforcement in York County uses high band, and, 
in my opinion, have better communications equipment than the 
surrounding S.C. counties using high band.

The bottom line, though, is that 800 MHz (or 700 MHz) public safety 
communications will likely blanket this region in the next 5-10 
years, and York County should move in that direction.  EOC Director 
Cotton Howell had the foresight to apply and acquire sufficient 800 
MHz frequencies for a countywide system a couple of years ago, under 
a slow growth license.

>>  Now, why would they have to pay monthly roaming fees ... 

Mike - Here's a link to the fee schedule used by the State of S.C. 
for access to the Palmetto 800 system:

http://www.state.sc.us/oir/rates/userpricing.htm

If I'm interpreting the schedule correctly, the "roaming" aspect has 
to do with those radio units able to use the phone interconnect 
feature.  If you were to connect through a site other than those 
setup for your basic phone service, there's a 45-cent-per-minute 
charge.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/