Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Delays in changing Nevada police communications system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:28:19 -0400

April 08, 2004

Delays in changing Nevada police communications system

By BRENDAN RILEY

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Nevada lawmakers were told Thursday that a
statewide police communications system changeover could take several
more months to complete.

Robert D. Chisel, assistant administration director for the state
Transportation Department, said the switch to the new 800-megahertz
system has been completed in the Reno-Sparks-Carson City area for the
Nevada Highway Patrol, but the change in the Las Vegas area and rural
counties has been delayed.

Chisel and other officials told the lawmakers' Interim Finance Committee
that engineering hassles and heavy user volume have slowed completion in
Clark County, encompassing Las Vegas.

NHP Chief Dave Hosmer said there's still a possibility of fines being
imposed by the Federal Communications Commission for unauthorized use of
150-megahertz frequencies. The federal agency told the patrol to get off
those frequencies because they were licensed to others.

But Hosmer said the old system has to remain in use until the new system
is working properly. He added the FCC understands "there is a public
safety issue."

"We have a problem here," said Assemblywoman Vonne Chowning, D-North Las
Vegas, adding that a flawed emergency communications system "can mean
the difference between life and death."

Assemblyman Bob Beers, R-Las Vegas, called the changeover expensive and
"odd." He said legislators had the impression the FCC was certain to
levy big fines unless the unauthorized frequency use was stopped
immediately.

Assemblyman John Carpenter, R-Elko, said that even when the new system
is running, he's not sure how well it will work in rural Nevada. "I hope
that I'm wrong but I don't think so," he said.

The state attorney general's office has decided no criminal charges will
result despite the improper spending of millions of dollars on the wrong
communications equipment for and use of the unauthorized frequencies by
the NHP.

A since-retired communications supervisor discovered the frequencies
weren't being used, and decided to use them and seek permission later.
Equipment to operate on the 150-megahertz frequencies was bought in
1996. Motorola built the system for $11 million.

Using these frequencies, the patrol's radio transmissions interfered
with the frequencies' licensed users such as railroads and emergency
units as far away as the San Francisco area for three years before the
FCC stepped in.

After being told by the FCC to get off the 150-megahertz frequencies,
the state spent $17 million to buy new radios and other equipment to
allow it to transfer to the 800-megahertz system.

--http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2004/apr/08/040810257.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/