Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WHY YOUR CABLE BILL IS SOARING

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:48:19 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Neil J. Lehto" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WHY YOUR CABLE BILL IS SOARING

WHY YOUR CABLE BILL IS SOARING
This is not from David Letterman's home office in DeKalb, but here's the
Top Ten reasons cable bills are higher or, as BW calls them, the ten
secrets the cable industry would like you not to know. 

1) Higher programming costs and spending on infrastructure to provide
digital service
are bulking up bills. 

2) If cable concerns faced more competition, bills
would be lower. 

3) If you want all the bells and whistles, buy as many
services as you can from one company. 

4) Cable operators know you watch only about 15 of the hundreds of
channels you receive. 
But if they let you pick and choose the channels you want, it would mess
up their whole
business model. 

5) If people could pick and choose only the channels they
want, all those less popular channels likely would go out of business. 

6) You can get just a premium channel without paying for dozens of other
channels. 

7) If you don't go digital, you can save a lot of money. 

8) To make digital cable worth the extra money, you may want to get a
digital
video recorder (DVR). 

9) To really save money, skip cable, and buy your favorite shows at
retail on DVD. 

10) [This isn't really a reason, but, perhaps, a remedy] Want to
complain? 
Contact your "local franchising authority," or LFA. 

This is the governmental body that negotiates with the
cable outfit to provide local service. Each month you pay a fee to this
agency, which shows up as a line on your bill, so feel free to contact
them
if you're unhappy with service. The phone number should be on the back
of
your bill. You may also want to contact a congressional representative. 
With consumers increasingly feeling gouged by high cable bills, you
might
find a willing ear from local politicians.

[SOURCE: BusinessWeek, AUTHOR: Amey Stone]
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/apr2004/nf20040426_7542_db016.h
tm

_________________________________________
Contact Information 

Neil J. Lehto
4035 Inverness Lane
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
[email-masked] 

1 248 851-4276 (phone)
1 248 851-4276 (fax)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/