Subject: [NEXTEL-1] China drops Wi-Fi challenge

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:17:35 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "jon baer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: China drops Wi-Fi challenge

http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-5197087.html?tag=nefd.top

-snip-
The Chinese government is expected to announce Wednesday that it is
backing
down from efforts to establish its own Wi-Fi security standard,
according to
sources.
Government officials had set June 1 as a deadline for gear makers to
include
its Wireless Authentication and Privacy Infrastructure (WAPI) standard
into
products sold in China. The specification would allow the government to
decrypt any communications by its citizens over wireless networks.
WAPI is not compatible with current Wi-Fi security standards. Enforcing
the
inclusion of WAPI into gear would have limited the number of
manufacturers
that could sell products in the Asian country, setting the stage for a
high-profile technology battle between China and the United States.
-snip-

- jon

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/