Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Offers New Wireless, Broadband Service In Triangle

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:43:47 -0400

Nextel Offers New Wireless, Broadband Service In Triangle
Company Plans To Target Other N.C. Areas

POSTED: 5:02 pm EDT April 16, 2004
UPDATED: 5:28 pm EDT April 16, 2004

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Fast Internet service is the norm for many homes and
offices in the Triangle, but there are limitations when you want to take
that service outside the home or office, until now.

Shannon Mosley is using Nextel's brand-new wireless broadband service to
help his new career in real estate. It allows Mosley to connect to the
Internet at the speed of cable without the cables -- something his clients
really appreciate.

"I can do home searches, e-mail them, follow up on my e-mail, send them
e-mails back and forth," he said.

A small card is installed into the laptop or for a personal computer, a
small modem can be installed. They both use an antenna to transmit a signal
to Nextel's towers.

"We took 129 cell sites that we had for voice service and put some new
technology in them that allows us to offer broadband wireless service," said
Mark Carney of Nextel.

Nextel tested the new technology in the Triangle and this week, the company
started accepting paying customers. It is only available in the Triangle.
Rival Verizon Wireless is rolling out a similar wireless broadband service,
but it is not available in the Triangle yet.

The wired cable and DSL service that many people already use at work and at
home is not available in some parts of North Carolina and those are the
people Nextel plans to target next.

"We also think some consumers who can't access cable or DSL because they're
not within the footpoint for cable or DSL would benefit from this wireless
service as well and unfortunately that's still quite a few people," Carney
said.

Right now, Nextel's wireless broadband service ranges from $34.99 to $74.99
a month, depending on the speed. There is also a one-time equipment fee of
$100 for the PC card or a modem. High-speed wired service through Time
Warner's Road Runner is $44.95 a month.

Reporter: Valonda Calloway
OnLine Producer: Kamal Wallace
Copyright 2004 by WRAL.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.