Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Robot Controlled By 3G Phone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:29:29 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2004/6954.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

Sasken

3G
Sponsored by Anritsu.

Go
To
3G Phone Store

NetTest.com

3G
Forum

Gadgets

Robot
Controlled By 3G Phone

20th April , 2004

ASIA
: UGS PLM Solutions, the product lifecycle management (PLM) subsidiary
of EDS (NYSE: EDS), today announced that SANYO Electric Co., Ltd.,
Japan's leading home appliance company, used UGS PLM Solutions' NX
portfolio to reduce development cycle of the latest version of the
"Banryu" (guard-dragon) utility robot by 50 percent.

SANYO
Electric's new Banryu was introduced in Japan on April 5. Using innovative
3D modeling technology within the NX portfolio, SANYO Electric was
able to reduce the design and development cycle of the new Banryu
to approximately five months -- half the time it took to design the
original Banryu, which was shipped in 2003.

The
original Banryu, developed jointly by SANYO Electric and Tmsuk, was
marketed by Tmsuk for use in the home. The new Banryu, exclusively
developed by SANYO Electric, is based on its predecessor but is targeted
to the business sector for use at events.

The
design of the new Banryu, with its multiple joints, required constant
interference checks by engineers. SANYO's industrial and mechanical
design teams used I-deas(R) NX Series to conduct complete interference
checks during the design phase. NX's ability to share 3D models and
conduct design changes simultaneously and seamlessly resulted in the
elimination of reworks.

"One
problem that occurred repeatedly with the previous Banryu was when
the robot raised its legs, it banged into unexpected places,"
said Mr. Nobuyuki Osumi, senior staff, Robot Business Unit of SANYO
Electric. "If we were using 2D CAD we would have had to rework
the design data five or six times in order to resolve this issue,
but thanks to NX's innovative 3D modeling, rework was reduced to almost
zero on the New Banryu."

"The
robot market is still in its infancy and there are no industry

standards or best practices, so no one knows yet what the best concept
is or what design is the right answer," commented Mr. Akira Toyoshima,
general manager, Robot Business Unit, Commercial Technology Headquarters
of SANYO Electric. "What is crucial is to put finished products
on the market as soon as possible and use the market feedback to improve
the next generation of products. Success depends on speed and NX's
ability to reduce time to market will become an indispensable tool
for us moving forward."

"SANYO
along with other leading consumer robot manufacturers depends on speed
to market and NX portfolio's innovative 3D modeling and collaboration
technology delivers that speed," said Haruyoshi Iida, senior
vice president of Japan Operations, UGS PLM Solutions. "The robot
industry, both consumer and commercial, is gaining more and more attention
in Japan and NX is being recognized as the leading product to deliver
a smooth transition from 2D to 3D environment in this hot market."

New
Banryu

Various improvements have been made to make Banryu a more human-friendly
robot including voice recognition and audio composition functions.
These improvements enable Banryu to communicate greetings and simple
introductions of products. The placement of LEDs on the face and back,
which illuminate when talking, help provide expressions. Banryu's
friendly appearance, long dragon-like neck and its ability to walk
and smoothly climb steps with its four legs are anticipated to draw
attention from audiences at events.

The
robot can be controlled remotely through the local area network (LAN)
using a personal digital assistant (PDA) or via a third generation
(3G) mobile phone using images from the integrated camera placed in
Banryu's head.

NX

NX provides a comprehensive portfolio of computer aided design, manufacturing
and engineering (CAM/CAM/CAE) software solutions for digital decision
making founded on a next-generation architecture and technologies
that uniquely address the driving business issues in product development.
NX allows clients to conceive, design, engineer and validate discretely
manufactured products -- and capture their product definitions --
in a fully digital
environment.

3G
Mediation Win

Narus,
Inc., announced it is expanding its focus into the mobile market through
new business with long-time customer and leading Japanese 3G operator
KDDI.

3G
Antenna Specialist Pans Out

UK-based
miniature antenna specialist, Sarantel, has responded to the growing demand
for its innovative GPS, WiFi and 3G products in the Asia/Pacific market
by appointing three new distributors.

Mobile
Data Users Now Representing the Mainstream

With
54% of In-Stat/MDR's Consumer Mobility Study respondents currently using
one or more wireless data services

Robot
Controlled By 3G Phone

The
robot can be controlled remotely through the local area network (LAN)
using a personal digital assistant (PDA) or via a third generation (3G)
mobile phone using images from the integrated camera placed in Banryu's
head.

Siemens
Extends EDGE Wireless Network

The
new contract encompasses the delivery of 170 EDGE base stations in the
area around Kuala Lumpur, in order to upgrade the GSM network in this
region

Hong
Kong Loses 3G Conference

The
Hong Kong government has been criticised for losing the world's second
largest third-generation (3G) mobile phone industry conference to Singapore

Part
3G Networks In Finland

To
speed up the introduction and to curtail the cost of implementing 3G in
Finland, it has been agreed that the 3G Operators can share their networks.

3
Takes 3G Nokia 7600 On-Board

3,
the UK's first video mobile network, today announced that the Nokia 7600
will be available in its retail outlets across the United Kingdom.

Dual
3G SIM / Smart Card

It
provides power and level shifting for 2.5G/3G wireless applications which
are required to interface with either a 1.8V or 3V subscriber identity
module (SIM) or Smart Card.

New
Sanyo Camera Phone for US

Sprint
and SANYO announce the introduction of Sprint’s tenth integrated
camera phone, the Sprint PCS Vision Picture Phone PM-8200 by SANYO.

5
Million CDMA Wireless Phones to India

GE
has supplied the super-high growth CDMA sector of emerging market India
with 5 million CDMA phones, and presently has a 50 percent market share.

No.
1 CDMA Wireless Phone in the World

According
to U.S. market researchers Strategic Analytics (SA) last year LGE sold
the world market 21.3 million CDMA phones for a 21.6 percent market share.

Ceva
for Samsung 3G Phones

CEVA,
Inc has licensed the CEVA-X1620 DSP core to power Samsung's next generation
3G multimedia handsets.

EDGE
Wireless To Delay 3G Equipment Sales

EDGE
will delay sales of next generation equipment in many parts of the world,
with several hundred thousand EDGE-enabled base stations deployed by 2009.

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

All Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics
and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Home
ProZone
Subscribe
To Newsletter 3G
Forum

Free
3G Phones

US
Zone ASIAZone
EuroZone
UKZone

3G
Phone Zone 3
3G
New Launches