Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ANNOUNCING THE FOURTH WORLDWIDE WARDRIVE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:48:32 -0400

ANNOUNCING THE FOURTH WORLDWIDE WARDRIVE
WWWD4
12-19 June, 2004

The WorldWide WarDrive is an effort by security professionals and
hobbyists 
to generate awareness of the need by individual users and companies to 
secure their access points. The goal of the WorldWide WarDrive (or WWWD)
is 
to provide a statistical analysis of the many access points that are 
currently deployed.

We feel that many end users are not aware that the factory or "default" 
settings on Access Points do not take any security measures into
account. 
By providing these statistics we hope that end users will become aware
of 
the need to take simple measures to secure their access points.

The WWWD provides a snapshot of the security posture of currently
deployed 
wireless access points throughout the world. During the Third WorldWide 
WarDrive, which took place in July 2003, over 88,000 unique access
points 
were discovered worldwide. The statistics compiled for the WWWD have
become 
the defacto standard for statistics used by many media outlets and
wireless 
security vendors to further generate public awareness of wireless
security 
issues.

The Fourth WorldWide WarDrive will take place 12-19 June 2004. The 
WorldWide WarDrive has teamed with the Wireless Geographic Logging
Engine 
(WiGLE) to provide real time maps and statistics as data from each area
is 
uploaded. This is a departure from past events where statistics and maps 
were compiled at the conclusion of the week long WWWD.

Also in conjunction with the announcement of the Fourth WorldWide
WarDrive, 
the Church Of WiFi is proud to announce that an updated version of 
WarKizNiz is available at www.michiganwireless.org/tools/WarKizNiz/
WarKizNiz accepts input from Kismet log files and converts them into 
NetStumbler .ns1 format.

Coordination of drives throughout the world is done at the WorldWide 
WarDrive Forums located at www.c2security.org/forums/wwwd/

As in the past, discussions pertaining to the WWWD can also be conducted
on 
the WarDriving mailing list
(mailsrv.dis.org/mailman/listinfo/wardriving).

New for WWWD4 is the creation of a mailing list devoted solely to
wireless 
security issues. To join this list, hosted by Michigan Wireless go to 
www.michiganwireless.org/lists.html.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/