Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WiFi Security Survey - Alarm Bells

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:28:33 -0400

WiFi Security Survey - Alarm Bells
27th April , 2004

Europe : Despite recent media attention, European businesses are
continuing to invite cyber attacks from hackers and crackers by failing
to secure their wireless computer networks.

A survey conducted at Europe’s only dedicated WLAN exhibition held at
the Olympia in London, U.K. on April 6 and 7th 2004 found that 23% of
companies surveyed don’t even require their WLANs to be password
protected.
The survey was conducted by Orthus Ltd. a European information security
consultancy headquartered in London at the two day WLAN Event ( inset
above taken at the event ). Orthus personally interviewed over 450 CEOs,
MDs and IT, Finance and Security Directors representing hundreds of
European businesses attending the event.

The results of the survey were surprising considering the amount of
media attention recently given to the issue of wireless security and
indicate that businesses continue to neglect the security issues
associated with the deployment of WLANs despite the fact that the
networks are used to process and stored sensitive business information.
“Hacking is still a very real threat to wireless networks. It’s
imperative that businesses using them understand and address their
inherent security vulnerabilities and at a minimum enable the basic
manufacturer designed security features prior to deployment to serious
problems,” says Richard Hollis CEO and Managing Director of Orthus Ltd.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2004/6968.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/