Subject: [NEXTEL-1] light crews could be responsible for determining inflight wireless device use

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:51:31 -0400

Flight crews could be responsible for determining inflight wireless
device use
By EMILY MOTSAY
April 15 13:31:00, 2004

Airline workers could be tasked with a new set of responsibilities as
wireless industry advancements make it possible to safely use portable
electronic devices like cell phones, while in flight.

Several wireless devices now offer “plane safe” or “flight” modes that
allow radio transmitters to be switched off, which would prohibit the
device from interfering with the plane’s radar, potentially allowing
travelers to access calendars, games and other content from cell phones
while in flight.

All of this could add up to confusion for flight crews, with regulators
like the U.K.’s Civil Aviation Authority determining it is up to
individual aircraft operators to determine which devices can and cannot
be used onboard their aircraft.

Today the CAA labels PEDs as either intentionally transmitting devices,
which transmit radio signals, or unintentionally transmitting devices,
which emit radio signals as a by-product. The use of unintentionally
transmitting devices has typically been allowed during non-critical
phases of flight.

Examples of intentionally transmitting PEDs include cell phones,
personal computer equipment with embedded or plug-in networking
capabilities, two-way pagers, satellite phones and two-way radios.
Unintentionally transmitting PEDs include personal computing equipment
without embedded or plug-in networking capabilities, cameras, radio
receivers, media players, electronic games and implanted medical
equipment.

A cell phone switched to “safe” mode could be included in the
unintentionally transmitting category and therefore could be used during
non-critical phases of flight. But allowing such devices to be used
likely will entail additional responsibilities for flight crews.

The CAA notes that crews must be able to distinguish whether a device is
operating in “safe” mode and whether that mode is actually preventing
the device from transmitting. “Phone signal detectors, either portable
or installed in the aircraft, have the potential to assist the cabin
crew in detection of device transmissions or operation of non-permitted
devices, and enable appropriate followup action,” reads a policy note
from the group.

The Federal Communications Commission, with support from the Federal
Aviation Administration, has banned the use of cell phones, along with
radios and televisions, while in flight “because its signals could
interfere with critical aircraft instruments,” according to the FAA’s
Web site.

Other PEDs, including laptop computers, handheld computer games, and
tape or CD players, which would qualify as unintentionally transmitting
under the CAA’s definition, can be used above 10,000 feet. The
restricted use of such devices, also recommended by the CAA, is also due
to concerns they could interfere with aircraft instrumentation.

A spokesperson from the FAA said that a non-transmitting cell phone,
like one switched to an “in flight” mode, would likely be classified in
the same category as other non-transmitting devices that can be used
during flight. He noted, however, that any regulation regarding such
devices would depend on FCC definitions.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17725
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/