Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Microsoft Tunes In to Radio Frequency

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:45:00 -0400

Microsoft Tunes In to Radio Frequency

By Arif Mohamed
April 6, 2004

Microsoft has formed a new industry group to look at radio
frequency identification (RFID) technologies, with the aim of
driving its software further into the business supply chain.
The Microsoft RFID Council includes Accenture along with RFID
technology firms GlobeRanger, Intermec Technologies and
Provia Software. It will meet for the first time later this month.

The partners will produce products and services based on
Windows CE, SQL Server and BizTalk Server software, as well
as Visual Studio and Web Services Enhancements for Microsoft .NET.

RFID combines wireless technology and microchips to track
merchandise and streamline the supply chain.

"With RFID in the early stages of adoption, we are continuing to
expand and evolve our partner-driven strategy based on the needs
of the industry," said Javed Sikander, programme manager for
RFID strategy at Microsoft.

The company began a six-month RFID pilot in December 2003 to
develop and test RFID software for sale in 2005.

The pilot project, for Danish snack manufacturing company KiMs,
was designed to tag and track thousands of pallets from production
to third-party warehouses.

"RFID is the talk of the town," commented Cinzia Rinelli, senior
research analyst for IDC's European vertical markets group.

"Despite this, this technology is still at its early adoption and
trialling
phase in westen European retailing, with the exception of a few pioneers
-- 
including Tesco and Selfridges -- that decided to implement RFID
for supply-chain enhancements.

"It will take more than two years before retailers will start
implementing
in-store solutions like those that are already in place at Metro Future
Store in Germany."

Mark Roberti, editor of the RFID Journal, said of the Microsoft RFID
Council: "This is good news for the industry. Microsoft is obviously a
very important
vendor for most of the companies that are looking to deploy RFID
technologies.

"Microsoft is listening to its customers and working with partners to
build
a bridge between today's supply chains and future RFID-driven supply
chains.
That's what the industry needs and what end users want."

http://bpm-today.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Microsoft_Tunes_In_to_Radio_Frequency&story_id=23616&category=spcm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/