Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC broadens broadband study

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:28:36 -0400

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2004/0405/web-fcc-04-09-04.asp

Tuesday, April 13, 2004
FCC broadens broadband study

BY  Diane Frank
April 9, 2004

The Federal Communications Commission wants to know the extent to which 
citizens across the country have access to the latest high-speed 
telecommunications technology.

The FCC plans to examine several issues not included in previous 
studies. One is the link between population density and technology 
deployment: Will installation of broadband telecommunications actually 
draw people and businesses to a geographic area?

Another new question is whether citizens and businesses are becoming 
increasingly dependant on commercial and government services that 
require broadband connectivity, such as videoconferencing.

The FCC has conducted three prior studies into the adoption of advanced 
telecommunications, as mandated by the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Many states hope to extend broadband connections to rural areas so they 
can provide telemedicine services where doctors and hospitals are 
spread thin. Meanwhile, law enforcement agencies are interested in 
using Internet-based networks for voice communications.

The new FCC study will look into those issues, as well as examining 
trends in other countries and how the speed of deployment in the United 
States affects the country's role in the global economy.

Comments can be filed through May 10 using the FCC's Electronic Comment 
Filing System or by paper. An electronic comment only needs to be 
submitted once, but paper filings must include an original and four 
copies.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/