Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Communications is running into potentially deal-killing static.......VZ Opposes 2.1 GHZ Too!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:03:43 -0400

Nextel Communications is running into potentially
deal-killing static.Verizon Opposes 2.1 GHZ
Nextel's radio interference plan--a tough call

By Ben Charny 
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
http://news.com.com/2100-1039-5196027.html 

Story last modified April 20, 2004, 5:04 PM PDT 

A new proposal to end Nextel Communications' interference with police 
radios is running into potentially deal-killing static, according to 
a cell phone industry source. 

Originally, Nextel's "Consensus Plan" suggested moving all its phone 
calls out of the radio spectrum that was causing the problems. In 
exchange, Nextel would pay about $2 billion for new spectrum in a 
different area, 1.9 megahertz. That plan has raised hackles from 
competitors, including Verizon Communications, which says the 
spectrum is actually valued at $7.2 billion.

The source said the Federal Communications Commission, Nextel and 
Verizon Wireless have recently discussed the possibility that Nextel 
instead get spectrum in the 2.1-megahertz range. It's a patch of 
airwaves that's "far less controversial," the source said.

For decades, police in major metropolitan areas have found that 
Nextel's cell phone towers often interfered with their own 
communications. The company broadcasts its calls in various portions 
of the 800-megahertz range, which is dominated by law-enforcement 
communications equipment.

Nextel recently met with FCC officials to discuss the 2.1-megahertz 
alternative, according to FCC filings. The company is expected to 
file a report with the FCC about the 2.1 bandwidth as soon as 
Wednesday. The FCC is expected to rule on the matter by the end of 
the month.

A Nextel representative would not elaborate on the company's plans, 
saying Nextel doesn't "comment on any rumors coming out of the FCC."

The new plan, however, has one powerful detractor: Verizon Wireless, 
which along with Cingular Wireless is the loudest opponent of 
Nextel's plan. "We would not view 2.1 as any more saleable (than) 
1.9," a Verizon Wireless representative said. 

http://news.com.com/2100-1039-5196027.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/