Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA Weighs In On CALEA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:47:05 -0400

CTIA Weighs In On CALEA
BY MARK ROCKWELL
APRIL 13, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Law enforcement agencies are out of line in making their
most recent request for more leeway in monitoring data communications,
including wireless communications, CTIA said in a filing late yesterday
at the FCC.\
The filing was in response to a request last month by the Department of
Justice, FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration for quick extension
of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) to
cover the Internet, private networks and other forms of packet-based
data communications. The request, CTIA said, "not only requests a
declaratory ruling that all types of Internet access and other
broadband, packet-mode technologies are covered by CALEA, it also
proposes an implementation plan that would prevent the introduction of
innovative new technologies and services until the government has
approved their specifications." The group has said that Wi-Fi and other
wireless data communications systems could be affected by law
enforcement's request for expanded data communications monitoring
capabilities.

Perhaps of more immediate concern to carriers, however, is a fundamental
shift that's proposed in how any network monitoring capabilities would
be paid for. CTIA added that the law also would shift existing
traditional cost recovery rules from government's reimbursement of
carriers for the modifications to carriers and their customers.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=04/13/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/