Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Five Reasons Why Nextel's Wireless Broadband May Run Into Trouble

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:38:59 -0400

Five Reasons Why Nextel's Wireless Broadband May Run Into Trouble

Contributed by Mike Masnick on Thursday, April 15 2004 @ 1:54pm

Steve Stroh comes up with five reasons why Nextel's wireless broadband
offering may have trouble succeeding. While I agree with the overall
hurdles, I'm not convinced it's a problematic as Steve makes it out to
be. His first worry is the fact that this is branded as a trial - which
he's afraid will keep people away. That may be true, but I'm not sure
that really matters to Nextel at this point. It is a trial, and I'd bet
they're more interested in finding out how those who do sign up use it,
rather than how many people sign up. This is also easily (and obviously)
corrected once they get out of trial stage. The second hurdle is the
branding which includes "wireless," which Steve believes is implied by
Nextel. I actually disagree on this. I don't think that everyone
necessarily associates Nextel with wireless, and by including the
wireless in the advertising it's seen as a benefit of the service over
wired broadband. The third fear is that it's non-buzzword, non-standard
compliant. Again, this strikes me as a fear that will really only impact
those who are too focused on the wireless industry. We've been yelling
for a while for companies to stop focusing on buzzwords and jargon, and
this is a case where that might actually help them. His last two points,
though, I agree with entirely. They should focus more on how this can be
a replacement for wired broadband to the home, but it sounds like
they're just feeling out the market, and hopefully they'll get there.
His last point is that they should be advertising a VoIP solution
running over this wireless connection, and, indeed, that sounds like a
no-brainer. Still, this is also something that's easily changed, and I
imagine that they want to make sure that the basic wireless connectivity
really works before they start focusing in on value added services like
that.

www.techdirt.com
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/