Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC’s Decision Against AT&T’s VoIP Garners 5-0 Vote, Raises More Questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:39:42 -0400

FCC’s Decision Against AT&T’s VoIP Garners 5-0 Vote, Raises More
Questions

 The FCC on Wednesday (April 21) was preparing to release its
long-awaited decision on AT&T’s petition
 seeking a declaratory ruling on its phone-to-phone Voice over Inter
Protocol (VoIP) service, sources tell
 TelecomWeb’s sister publication, Telecom Policy Report. As predicted by
TPR, the Commission has denied
 AT&T’s request, ruling that the carrier’s VoIP offering is, in fact,
subject to interstate access charges. And
 although the five commissioners voted to deny AT&T’s petition, at least
two of them - Michael Copps and
 Kevin Martin - are said to have serious reservations about the denial.

 Telecom Policy Report this week predicted that FCC Chairman Michael
Powell would be joined by
 Commissioners Kathleen Abernathy and Jonathan Adelstein in the majority
opinion against AT&T.
 Commissioners Martin and Copps reportedly were ready to cast dissenting
votes, but changed their minds in
 virtually the eleventh hour after reviewing a final draft of the order.
The decision will likely be released
 Wednesday at 4 p.m. (EDT), sources say.

 For more in-depth coverage of this still-developing story, don’t miss
next week’s edition of Telecom Policy
 Report, the industry’s leading source for behind-the-scenes
investigative business reporting, policy analysis
 and forecasting. Sign up now for a free four-week trial subscription to
TPR by going to
 http://www.telecomweb.com/cgi/catalog/trial?TPR.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/