Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NextWave, Cingular Close Spectrum Sale

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 04:44:17 -0400

NextWave, Cingular Close Spectrum Sale
BY SUSAN RUSH
APRIL 9, 2004

Well, it is official. Despite complaints from rivals, NextWave Telecom
and Cingular Wireless have closed their previously announced PCS license
sale. Cingular paid $1.4 billion in cash to snap up the spectrum.

In August 2003, Cingular announced plans to purchase the spectrum from
NextWave. The majority of the licenses cover markets where Cingular
already offers services -- of the 34 markets, Cingular already offers
service in all but seven. The potential customer base is 83 million.

In February, the companies cleared their final hurdle to the close of
the sale when the FCC approved the deal. The approval came despite a
complaint filed by Nextel Communications protesting an application
submitted by NextWave Telecom and Cingular Wireless to get approval for
a waiver to pay $170 million in interest for the 34 C and F block PCS
licenses. Nextel also argued that NextWave would pocket $700 million
from the sale. The FCC, however, said that ongoing litigation "to
recover for the public a portion of the value of the public spectrum
resource would only hinder the immediacy of our ability to recover such
value."

NextWave said the completed sale will help it move forward with its
reorganization while Cingular COO Ralph de la Vega said the closing also
is significant for Cingular. "This spectrum will greatly benefit our
customers, allowing us to deliver additional products and services,
expand coverage in key markets and better accommodate overall future
growth," he said.

Cingular is currently wrapped up in plans to purchase AT&T Wireless for
$41 billion. If the merger meets all regulatory approvals, the combined
company will operate as the largest wireless carrier in the United
States.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=04/09/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/