Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lucent Technologies Awarded Department of Defense Contract to Rebuild and Modernize Iraqi Communications Systems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:01:39 -0400

Lucent Technologies Awarded Department of Defense Contract to Rebuild
and Modernize Iraqi Communications Systems

Lucent-Led Team to Provide Wide Range of Services to Restore
Communications and Information Technology Infrastructure Throughout Iraq

MURRAY HILL, N.J., March 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Lucent
Technologies (NYSE: LU) has been awarded a contract by the United States
Department of Defense to help rebuild, restore and modernize
communications systems in Iraq.  The contract currently has a value of
up to $75 million over two years, with the option of spanning a total of
five years.
As the prime contractor, Lucent will work under the direction of the
Program Management Office (PMO) of the Coalition Provisional Authority
as part of the overall Iraq Infrastructure Reconstruction program to
provide a full range of services in the restoration of the Iraqi
communications and information technology infrastructure nationwide.
The work includes design, construction, reconstruction, renovation,
restoration, implementation and systems integration with existing
systems and equipment, as well as operation and maintenance support.

Lucent recently completed installation of 13 switching, optical and
network management systems in and around Baghdad under a separate
subcontract to Bechtel.

"Lucent is committed to continuing to be a major part of the DOD, CPA
and Iraqi Ministry's activities to help not only rebuild, but also
significantly modernize Iraq's infrastructure and communications
capabilities," said Rick Miller, senior vice president of government
solutions for Lucent.  "Our track record of planning, designing,
building and operating large public and private networks backed by Bell
Labs -- along with our team members, CPA partners and Iraqi
subcontractors and suppliers -- will enable us to rapidly analyze and
implement communications solutions to benefit the Iraqi people." Team
members for the communications infrastructure project include CH2M HILL,
Englewood, Colo.; DynCorp International, a CSC Company, Irving, Texas;
Lockheed Martin Corporation, Bethesda, Md.; Booz Allen Hamilton, McLean,
Va.;
AT&T Government Solutions, Vienna, Va.  The team also will include small
businesses in the U.S. and Iraqi subcontractors and suppliers.  The
infrastructure work will focus on 12 communications and information
technology areas:

* CPA Enterprise System, Public Switch Telephone Network  (PSTN) and
Local

* Area Networks/Wide Area Networks  (LAN/WAN)

* Enterprise systems and applications

* Postal IT architecture and systems

* Wireless fidelity (WiFi) capabilities for the Iraqi Telephone and Post
Company (ITPC)

* CIO function - operations

* Public Safety Information Services Network Initial Operating
Capability (IOC).

* Commercial TV and radio: management and licensing

* Numbering scheme and Emergency-112 (911) Initiative

* Replacement of power systems and back-up generators

* Iraqi - ATC Communications/Operations

* Technical and management training for ITPC

* Emergency repairs to ITPC network
Work will begin under the contract immediately.
About Program Management Office

The Iraq Program Management Office (PMO), part of the Coalition
Provisional Authority, manages the $18.4 billion appropriated by the
U.S.  Congress to support the reconstruction of Iraqi infrastructure.
This office is responsible for all activities associated with program,
project, asset, construction and financial management of that portion of
the reconstruction effort undertaken by the U.S. The goal of PMO, and
the Prime contractors who are selected, is to maximize Iraqi
capabilities and to leave Iraq with the tools and processes to continue
the work begun under the Coalition Provisional Authority.

About Lucent Technologies

Lucent Technologies designs and delivers the systems, services and
software that drive next-generation communications networks.  Backed by
Bell Labs research and development, Lucent uses its strengths in
mobility, optical, software, data and voice networking technologies, as
well as services, to create new revenue-generating opportunities for its
customers, while enabling them to quickly deploy and better manage their
networks.  Lucent's customer base includes communications service
providers, governments and enterprises worldwide.  For more information
on Lucent Technologies, which has headquarters in Murray Hill, N.J.,
USA, visit http://www.lucent.com.

SOURCE Lucent Technologies
Web Site: http://www.lucent.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/