Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Future wireless target: fixed broadband

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:03:16 -0400

Future wireless target: fixed broadband

by Vince Vittore

TelephonyOnline.com, Apr 15 2004

SAN FRANCISCO—If broadband wireless technologies are going to compete
effectively in the market, they must be measured against equivalent
services in the wired environment and not preceding wireless
technologies, according to Ali Tabassi, vice president of innovative
technologies at Nextel Communications.

Speaking this morning on a panel at RHK’s Startrax 2004 conference here,
Tabassi said Nextel is experimenting with numerous technologies,
including WiMax and some MMDS spectrum the carrier recently acquired
from WorldCom. However, instead of looking at either project as an
upgrade to existing wireless services, Nextel is benchmarking itself
against the wired world.

“If you looking to deliver broadband technology, you will be competing
with cable and DSL,” Tabassi said.
And in order for wireless broadband to compete effectively in the
$35-to-$50 range that cable and DSL services inhabit, vendors must bring
costs down on their equipment. In some early economic models, Tabassi
said, Nextel believes that wireless operators’ cost for delivering 1
Mb/s to the customer should be around $20.

“In order for us to deliver broadband and be in a competitive
environment, we need to be able to deliver that service at a cost of
$20,” he said.

Just as important is determining which services will delivered over that
link. Lucent Technologies has done a fair amount of early research and
determined that one of the first services people will pay for is
applications based around security, said Jeff Cortley, director of
mobility strategy and business development for Lucent.
“Lifestyle and concierge services are another,” he said.

http://telephonyonline.com/ar/telecom_future_wireless_target/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/