Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City of Portland Bureau of Emergency Communications Mobile Communications System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:23:09 -0400

RFI #102920
City of Portland Bureau of Emergency Communications Mobile
Communications System

April 2, 2004

Please Note: This is a request for information as part of the process
for acquiring a mobile communications center. The intent is to gather
information on what equipment is being offered by various manufacturers
and distributors, and use that information to help focus the
specifications and design for the eventual solicitation. This request
will not result in a contract or commitment to purchase, it is for
informational purposes only. A formal solicitation process will follow
at some point in the future.  Purpose: Provide critical secondary
communications platform for emergency call taking and dispatch
operations, to be employed when the BOEC or other regional
communications centers are disabled and/or uninhabitable due to natural
or manmade disaster or terrorist action.

Summary: The focus of this request is on an expandable trailer (up to
1,000 square feet) that would provide space and equipment for up to 20
work stations (10 call taking and 10 dispatch), along with limited space
for supervisory and other needed emergency personnel; depending on
availability of space within unit and workstation layout.  No provisions
need to be made for break area, command staff area, lavatory
facilities.  Purchase of trailer unit with custom workstations and
furnishings to accommodate equipment layout with pre-wiring from
workstations to central equipment rack units.  Looking for options which
will include internal and external sound proofing, internal sound
absorption, RF shielding, hardening of the external shell (bullet
proofing via Kevlar shielding in walls and ceiling), separation of HVAC
for workstation area and equipment area, individually controlled
workstation lighting, individually controlled air vent/fan (airlines
style) at each workstation, UPS power with battery backup.  Option for
access/egress points with fully enclosed awning of up to approximate
length of trailer and 20 foot width.

If expandable trailer, ensure external access to equipment areas for
maintenance, without trailer expansion via door access.
Delivery required prior to December 2004.

Initial Steps: Identify needed components for this project and estimate
cost of components, summing to total estimate cost of project.

Issues:
1. Comparisons are often made between this project and what are
considered similar police and fire projects for command centers. A 9-1-1
mobile communications center is much more complex than the mobile
command centers that have been created within the police and fire
communities.

2. As with police and fire command centers, 9-1-1 mobile communications
centers require heated/cooled space, and in addition require phone
equipment, radio equipment, cad access, GIS access or other systems used
in the 9-1-1 response process.

3. Police and Fire Command center personnel usually rely on cell phones
and portable radios, utilizing space for conference discussions with
white boards.

4. The project will need to be well defined and clear in specification
development.
The end product will not be easily or economically modified to changes
in layout.  So success will be very clearly related to the accuracy of
the design to final usage expectations.

Key Assumptions:

Mobile trailer is to have 20 call taking/dispatch work stations,
hardened install with easy activation.
Workstations are to be reasonably similar to current workstation set up.
For example:

full size keyboard. Multiple monitor flat screens used for space and
weight concerns.  Wireless connectivity should be considered for
headsets, keyboards etc. to reduce wiring clutter. Expect workstations
to use 42 inch to 45 inch of horizontal space per station.  Estimate
costs include charges for equipment delivery and set up. Does not yet
include ongoing support cost estimates, generator capacity monitored
externally, HVAC installed, sound absorption material or RF shielding..

Project phases:

Mobile trailer shell

Semi trailer, total interior space initial estimate is about 1000 sq ft.

Furniture and other furnishings equipment

Can be included in shell purchase specification or added by separate
vendor.

 Includes workstation modules for call taking dispatch stations, with 3
predetermined layout for CPU installation and flat screen locations,
along with radio and phone equipment.

Plan is to have workstations area furnishings included in vendor
purchase and installed as preparation for City Bureaus BTS (IT and
Comnet) and Qwest to install their components into the workstation area
as easily as possible.  Furnishing expectation will be clearly
communicated to vendors in bid process.  Presentation of 9-1-1 call
information, similar to operations floor. Gas plasma flat screen for
trailer. May be more than one screen, to hang at front and rear of
operator area, front and rear of interior of trailer space.

Radio Equipment

10 rack mounted gold elite consoles, feeding 10 workstations External
speaker option at each workstation, may be linked to computer speaker.
Foot pedal and headset at each station.  Equipment to be centrally
located, not at workstation.
Computer Equipment

Up to four 18 inch flat screens at each of the twenty

workstations.
Phone
CAD
GIS/BISNS
Radio
CAD system, will need CAD server to run CAD within the trailer.
Rack mounted CPUs to serve each of the twenty station.
Rack mounted in central location not at work station.
Phone system and equipment
E9-1-1 phone system utilizing a Norstar telephone switch.  Distributed
to ten of the twenty workstation (Call taking and supervisors.)

Equipment for supervisory and administrative staff:
Included in estimate of twenty total workstation.
All information is requested to be provided by April 30, 2004.
Please send information and direct questions to:

Gary W. Bevans
Principal Management Analyst
Bureau of Emergency Communications
P.O. Box 1927
Portland, Oregon 97207
Phone - 503-823-4602
Fax - 503-823-4630
email address is [email-masked]

http://cityofportland.ebidsystems.com/solicitations/102920-1-RFI-MobileCommunications.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/