Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO's Vinnie Plays "CYA"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:38:34 -0400

APCO's Vinnie Plays "CYA"

April 30, 2004

Dear Colleagues:

The FCC is close to reaching a decision on the 800 MHz Interference
Issue and is leaning towards support of the Consensus Plan.The APCO
International Board of Officers decided to support the Consensus Plan on
behalf of APCO International as they believe it is in the best interest
of public safety.

Our decision followed careful study, analysis, and consideration, based
upon and backed by the recommendations of the Spectrum Management
Committee, which consists of dedicated APCO International members from
across the country with extensive knowledge of radio system technology
and operations.We worked hard with members of the committee and others
to forge the Consensus Plan as the most effective and comprehensive
approach to resolve the serious interference problems facing the 800 MHz
band.We have also worked closely throughout the process with the
International Association of Chiefs of Police, International Association
of Fire Chiefs and other national public safety organizations.

The Consensus Plan is complex and has led some to raise reasonable
questions and concerns regarding various aspects of the plan.APCO
International has attempted to resolve those concerns through numerous
symposiums and seminars across the nation.In addition, APCO
International has pressed for improvements in the Consensus Plan and,
more importantly, in the rules to be adopted by the FCC.

As you may be aware, the South Carolina Chapter recently filed a letter
with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) stating its opposition
for the Consensus Plan, which is contradictory to the formal position
taken by this association.This letter can be found at
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6516089566.The
APCO International Board of Officers certainly support a Chapter’s
rights to express their own opinions, however a divided association has
no strength, not just on this issue, but on those to come in the
future.We have received much attention due to this letter and I thought
it best to inform you.

Respectfully,

Vinnie

Vincent R. Stile

President, APCO International

Director, SuffolkCounty (NY) Police Communications

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:43:56 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

>
> Our decision followed careful study, analysis, and consideration,
> based upon and backed by the recommendations of the Spectrum
> Management Committee, which consists of dedicated APCO International
> members from across the country with extensive knowledge of radio
> system technology and operations.
>
> He should have said "Except iDEN"
>