Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TIA Calls for Swift Senate Action on Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:26:02 -0400

TIA Calls for Swift Senate Action on Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act

On March 25, TIA sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
(R-Tenn.) and Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) urging their
assistance in enacting the Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act.Passage
of this legislation remains atop the
association’s list of policy priorities.

"The passage of this legislation is a must before the end of the 108th
Congress. It is key to the economic recovery of our sector and
represents a win-win situation for both industry and government," stated
TIA President Matthew J. Flanigan.
In its letter, TIA noted that the spectrum relocation fund that would be
established by the Act is of critical importance to the future use of
the radio spectrum and the wireless communications industry as a whole
because it will provide greater certainty in the market and accelerate
the innovation and introduction of new services. Equally significant is
that it will ensure the ability of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)
and other federal entities to continue achieving mission success.

The fundamental goal of this legislation is to ensure that eligible
federal entities, particularly DoD, operating in the spectrum bands
identified for reallocation to non-federal users, are properly
compensated for the costs associated with their relocation.
This legislation cleared the House Energy and Commerce Committee, passed
the full U.S. House of Representatives by a vote of 408 to 10, and was
reported favorably by the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and
Transportation almost a year ago.

TIA believes that forward-looking management of radio spectrum is
essential to the goal of making telecommunications services accessible
to the world's people and to ensuring that the public derives maximum
benefit from its use.  Radio spectrum is a finite resource that can
accommodate only a limited number of simultaneous users at one time.
This limitation requires careful planning and management in order to
maximize its value for public and private services. Sound spectrum
policies form the basis upon which companies make decisions regarding
investments in capital, technology and manufacturing, and, in turn, help
drive the demand for products and services.

http://pulse.tiaonline.org/article.cfm?id=1972
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/