Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Berkshire Eagle, MA - Board approves cellular antenna Nextel eyes Great Barrington site

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:57:17 -0400

Berkshire Eagle
Berkshire Eagle, MA 
Board approves cellular antenna Nextel eyes Great Barrington site

By Ellen G. Lahr
Berkshire Eagle Staff
Wednesday, April 14, 2004 -

GREAT BARRINGTON -- The Selectmen voted unanimously on Monday night to
allow Nextel Communications to install a wireless antenna on the WSBS
radio tower on Stockbridge Road.

The board's 5-0 vote, which was expected, means Nextel is a step closer
to bridging a cellular telephone service gap between Stockbridge and the
Connecticut state line.

The hearing had been continued for a few months, until after a March
special town meeting that was called to consider a change in the town's
strict cellular bylaw regulations.

Regulation change needed

Under the old regulation's language, the Nextel request would have been
denied because the WSBS tower is in a flood plain.
"This applicant was patient, understanding and thorough in their
submission to the town," said Selectmen Chairman Douglas Stephenson
yesterday. "They responded to every question our consultant had and it
made the process go very smoothly."
Currently, only Cingular Wireless has antennas in town, on the roof of
Fairview Hospital. Verizon has a tower in Sheffield, but that service
generally does not extend into Great Barrington.

Verizon has filed a court appeal challenging a Zoning Board decision
denying permission to add antennas to the Fairview roof; that case is
pending.

Nextel recently also received permission from the Sheffield Selectmen to
install a communications tower on property off Route 7, and is working
on antenna projects in Stockbridge and further north.

The board took its vote following a presentation by Nextel
representative Tom Flynn, and a report by the town's hired consultant.
Nextel agreed to construct an on-site service building that will
resemble the WSBS radio building.
The WSBS tower has space for up to four more wireless antenna carriers.

"Hopefully, it's just the first of several applications we'll see for
that site," said Stephenson.

In other business Monday night, the Selectmen allowed restaurateurs
Christos and Athina Grigoropoulos to withdraw their special permit for a
restaurant at 30 Stockbridge Road.

Their lawyer, David Hellman, requested the withdrawal "without
prejudice," which means they may revive the application later.
The family owns a restaurant in Lee, and last year bought the Great
Barrington commercial property, which includes three apartments and now
space for a first-floor restaurant.

The board also held a discussion with the Planning Board regarding
several zoning proposals that will be presented to the annual town
meeting.

Included is a proposal for a new cellular communications overlay
district, which is being drafted by the Planning Board to replace the
older bylaw.

That zoning matter, and several others, will be the subject of a
Planning Board public hearing set for April 29.
The Selectmen also granted a beer and wine license to the Great
Barrington Fish and Game Club for Saturday, May 1.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~7516~2082431,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/