Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GENERAL MOTORS: Faces Lawsuit Over "Piston Slap" in GM Engines

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:53:35 -0400

Wow I was going to buy a Denali XL last year......Glad I did not.

Cathy did you see this?

Marcel

GENERAL MOTORS: Faces Lawsuit Over "Piston Slap" in GM Engines
--------------------------------------------------------------
A class action complaint against General Motors Corporation was filed by the
law firm Green & Jigarjian LLP and the Oklahoma based firms of Federman &
Sherwood and Walker & Walker. The lawsuit, brought on behalf of purchasers
of 1999 through 2003 model GM vehicles with a 3.1, 3.4, 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 (LS1),
6.0, or 8.1 liter engine that exhibits a loud noise due to Piston Slap,
alleges that GM actively concealed the engine defect while continuing to
advertise, market, and warrant that GM engines are free from defects. Some
of the models that may have a Piston Slap defect are the:

(1) Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban;

(2) GM Denali and Yukon; and

(3) Cadillac Escalade and Pontiac TransAm.

"Piston Slap" is a loud knocking noise produced during and shortly after
engine start-up that is caused by the engine pistons knocking against the
cylinder walls as a result of excessive clearance between the piston and the
cylinder wall. Plaintiff alleges that when GM redesigned these engines in
1999, it did not correct its tolerance levels and this failure to reduce the
tolerances has resulted in the current problems with Piston Slap, causing
excessive engine wear, increased oil consumption, and poor fuel mileage.
Additionally, Piston Slap can cause a reduction in the resale value of their
vehicles.

Plaintiff further alleges that in at least four Technical Services Bulletins
(TSBs) released by GM in 2001, the company
indicates the reason why it failed to admit and fix the defect, namely the
replacement of the engine assembly or pistons does
not eliminate the noise, thus those affected by Piston Slap would require
the installation of new engines to remedy the
situation. Rather than fix the problem, however, GM has modified what it
considers "normal" engine noise and oil consumption levels, and thus refuses
to remedy the engine defect covered under GM warranties.

Based on GM's alleged unfair and unlawful conduct, Plaintiff seeks the
repair or replacement of the defective engines or
reimbursement for the cost of repair or replacement, the disgorgement of
profits unjustly earned by GM, and restitution
for the overcharge paid by consumers for their GM vehicles.

For more details, contact Monica Herman by Phone: (415) 477-6700 or by
E-mail: [email-masked] or visit the firm's Website:
http://www.classcounsel.com.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:00:55 -0400

Hopefully the '04 Pontiac GTO and the Caddy CTS-V aren't affected...both are
on my dream list!

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 12:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GENERAL MOTORS: Faces Lawsuit Over "Piston Slap" in GM
Engines

Cathy did you see this?

Marcel

6.0, or 8.1 liter engine 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links