Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MORE: Flarion is on FIRE~~RBC: Nextel’s broadband network is faster than other wireless technologies]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:01:34 -0400

RBC: Nextel's broardband network is faster than other wireless 
technologies

by Dan Meyer
April 16, 2004 1:13 PM EST

Nextel Communications Inc.'s decision earlier this week to expand 
its wireless broadband network trial in the Raleigh, N.C., market 
may have proven well founded as network testing conducted by RBC 
Capital Markets indicated Flarion Technologies' Flash-OFDM based 
technology is providing data speeds nearly three times faster than 
CDMA2000 1x EV-DO networks and equal to wireline-based broadband 
offerings.

RBC noted its testing produced average network speeds of around 950 
kilobits per second and speeds in excess of 1 megabit per second 40 
percent of the time at five locations in the network's trial 
markets. The speeds were triple the 329 kbps average throughput 
similar testing produced using Verizon Wireless' EV-DO network, 
approximately nine times faster than the 111 kbps produced using 
AT&T Wireless Services Inc.'s EDGE network and the 101 kbps using 
Sprint PCS' 1x-based network.

RBC's testing also produced average network latency of 45 
milliseconds, which it said was comparable to the 10 to 30 
milliseconds produced by digital subscriber line or cable modem 
broadband connections and superior to the 300- to 600-millisecond 
latency produced by EV-DO, EDGE and 1x networks.

"While many questions remain as to the commercial viability of 
wireless broadband service and the cost, scope and timeline of a 
potential buildout, we view our tests as tentative confirmation of 
[Nextel's] potential to offer vastly superior bandwidth/latency 
performance vs. other wireless technologies and on par with cable-
modem and Wi-Fi performance," RBC noted in its report.

Nextel noted last week that it has no plans to expand the Flarion 
trial beyond its recently expanded footprint. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17740

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/