Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: [KD4RAA-K4JDR Rptrs] Progress Energy says interference not "harmful"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:42:23 -0400

Now they are using the Nextel excuse ......."do not constitute harmful
interference as 
defined by the FCC."

Next they will want to reband  "HF".

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: [KD4RAA-K4JDR Rptrs] Progress Energy says interference not
"harmful"

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Pearce KN4AQ [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:50 PM
To: n0bpl; Triangle Hams; TEARA Mailing List; KD4RAA Repeater Group
Subject: [KD4RAA-K4JDR Rptrs] Progress Energy says interference not
"harmful"

               Progress Energy says interference not "harmful"

On Tuesday, Progress Energy, the utility running BPL trials near
Raleigh, 
North Carolina, sent an e-mail to the FCC responding to complaints from 
area hams over interference from the system.

PEC's Len Anthony, an attorney in their regulatory affairs office, makes 
two main points:

1. the low level signals remaining in the "notched" 12 and 17 meter
bands, 
and weak but audible "fringe" carriers that remain in ham bands at the
edge 
of their BPL spectrum blocks, do not constitute harmful interference as 
defined by the FCC.

2. Mobiles can't claim harmful interference because it's short-lived as 
they drive by.

The story is documented on the ARRL web site at:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/04/22/2/?nc=1

The complete e-mail  from Progress Energy is copied below, as received, 
with misspellings and typos intact.

73,
Gary KN4AQ
ARRL PIO, NC
Editor, SERA Repeater Journal

=============================================

From: Anthony, Len
To: James. Burtle (FCC)
Subject: Progress Energy Carolinas BPL Trial
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004

PEC has met with representatives of the ham radio operators in the
Raleigh 
area.  Joint measurements of the impact of PEC's BPL system on ham radio 
transmissions in and around the two subdivisions where BPL service is 
offered were taken. These measurements occurred subsequent to PEC
modifying 
it BPL system to minimize interference with ham radio transmissions. 
These 
tests revealed a small level of interference at the fringes of certain 
frequencies.  Since that time, further modifications have been made to 
address this fringe interference.  It is PEC's position and
interpretation 
of the FCC's rules with regard to "harmful interference" that any 
interference that may still exist is not "harmful" as that term is
defined 
by the FCC's rules. This level of interference does not seriously
degrade 
ham radio operation or transmissions or cause repeated 
interruptions.  Importantly, since PEC can make modifications to
completely 
eliminate any interference with fixed ham operators, the!
  only impact of any kind upon ham operations is upon mobile 
operators.  Given that any inteference experienced by a mobile operator 
only occurs within close proximity to the BPL facilities, such
interference 
would be very short lived. Thus, PEC is not causing any harmful 
interference and is in full compliance with the FCC's Part 15 rules.

__________________________________________________________________________
        Gary Pearce KN4AQ        editor, SERA Repeater Journal
        Cary, NC                 www.sera.org
        919-380-9944             [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
         AOL/Yahoo Instant Messanger: KN4AQ
         (send e-mail to be put on my "buddy list")

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:44:30 -0500

>Next they will want to reband  "HF".
In related news, the FCC announced plans to implement the "Universal 
Spectrum Reallocation Act of 2004". This far-reaching plan will result 
in most consumers replacing their perfectly functioning electronic 
gadgets with equally functional equipment designed to operate under the 
new spectrum assignments. For example, X-ray machines will now be called 
Y-ray machines. The most noticeable change will be the shift in visible 
light from the sun. The sky will now be indigo instead of blue and the 
sun's hue will shift from yellow to bright orange.

-rick

 
Yahoo! Groups Links