Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Met Police Radios don't Work on Tube

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:20:32 -0400

2:08pm (UK)
Met Police Radios don't Work on Tube

By Louise Barnett, PA News

Tube passengers could be at risk because police radios do not work on
part of
the Underground, it emerged today.

The lack of radio communication could hamper rescue efforts in the event
of a
terrorist attack, warned Richard Barnes, deputy chair of the
Metropolitan Police
Authority.

Met officers’ radios do not work in London Underground stations which
have no
open-air section of track – about 22 in total.

London Ambulance Service also confirmed that its radios do not work on
the
Underground.

The Tube is patrolled by British Transport Police officers whose radios
do work
across the London Underground network. The Fire Service is also equipped
with
radios which work underground.

Mr Barnes said the gaps in communication posed a danger to emergency
services staff and Tube passengers.

“It is incredibly dangerous. How do you get people out if you can’t talk
to the
rescuers?” he said.

“It puts everybody at risk. How can we have part of a rescue service in
a
situation where we can’t talk to them to find out what is going wrong?
It is
beyond belief. It is irresponsible.”

Mr Barnes said discussions over who should foot the bill had prevented
an
integrated communications system being installed sooner.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police Service said its officers
carried out risk
assessments and informed their control room before going out of radio
contact.

They are accompanied by London Underground staff or loaned a radio
before
going into stations where their own equipment does not work.

“The provision of communications on the entire London Underground system
is
considered essential in the event of a terrorist incident or major
accident,
thereby allowing all the London-based emergency services effective
communications,” the statement said.

“Police Information Technology Organisation is taking the lead in this
and,
along with other stakeholders and commercial suppliers, is in
discussions with
central Government to secure a solution.”

A spokesman for London Underground said a £1.8 billion new
communications
network was currently being installed on the Tube. Discussions are
underway to
work out how Met officers’ radios could link into this new system.

He said British Transport Police had stepped up patrols on London
Underground
to protect the public, adding: “We are confident we are doing all we can
to
combat the threat from terrorism.”

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: “A project to establish a new

national digital radio system for ambulance services is underway.

“As part of the procurement process, we have stated our requirement to
be able
to communicate at London Underground stations. We expect to get access
to
the network in 2006.”

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2701545
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/