Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Time to Enlist a 'National Guard' for IT?"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:47:53 -0400

"Time to Enlist a 'National Guard' for IT?"
Network World (03/29/04) Vol. 21, No. 13, P. 8; Greene, Tim

Military emergency management officials, speaking at the recent Norwich
University e-ProtectIT conference, said the United
States is not prepared to recover quickly should a major cyberterrorism
attack take place. They also say that such an attack
might require government mobilization of IT professionals. Retired Army
National Guard Maj. Gen. Jack D'Araujo suggested
the possibility of a cyber national guard to react to attacks, noting
that there is no existing official chain of command for such
an organization. D'Araujo says, "We're really plowing some new ground.
We flat-out aren't prepared to deal with it." Former
National Computer Security Center director Patrick Gallagher said that
IT community members do know what to do during
a cyberattack, but they lack leadership. Gallagher says that "we have
network groups who can and do talk to each other and
speak a similar language and have the same training. What we need is the
leadership to pull that together." Qovia vice
president Pierce Reid pointed out that since no cyberdisaster has yet
taken place, it is not known what will be required or
how fast damage can be fixed. The Cyber Security Early Warning Task
Force recently issued a report urging the creation of
an early-warning network and a CERT-run national crisis coordination
center to collect attack information and issue
warnings. Information-sharing systems already exist, but they do not
have official powers, D'Araujo said, and many
companies are reluctant to share information. Norwich CIO Phil Sussman,
who led a seminar on network security, says even
minor attacks "will shake confidence in the network itself with a series
of things people expected but are no longer there."
U.S. Marine Gen. Commendant Alfred Gray says IT professionals must get
"street-wise" and examine their systems the way
attackers do to look for cracks and seams in their operations.
www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0329 vermont.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/