Subject: [NEXTEL-1] High availability built into next-generation emergency radio

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:28:15 -0500

High availability built into next-generation emergency radio

EFJ, Inc., a US-based provider of wireless communications systems 
for homeland security and public safety agencies, has announced
 that its EFJohnson subsidiary will integrate McObject's eXtremeDB 
high availability in-memory embedded database as part of upgrades 
to enhance fault-tolerance in its Netelligent Infrastructure Systems 
Project 25* Conventional two-way radio infrastructure for first
responders.
(http://www.mcobject.com)

eXtremeDB HA will help the system become more fail-safe by enabling 
distribution (replication) of central database information, so each
major 
system element has its own copy and is not dependent on links back to 
a single database server. Multiple, synchronised copies of McObject's 
embedded database will reside within embedded controllers in Netelligent 
base station repeaters and other key devices. 

"eXtremeDB's ultra-small footprint (less than 110K code size) allows its 
use within Netelligent hardware where RAM and CPU constraints ruled 
out the use of other embedded databases," according to Michael E. 
Jalbert, chairman and chief executive officer of EFJ, Inc. "eXtremeDB 
also stands out in terms of performance. Its streamlined design and 
in-memory deployment meet the near-zero-latency demands of real-time 
radio communications," Jalbert said. 

A critical requirement for a two-way radio system designed for public 
safety is reliability. Using a rugged, time-cognizant, two-phase commit 
protocol, eXtremeDB HA ensures that changes to a master database 
and identical standby databases succeed or fail together, enabling 
deployment of multiple fully synchronised eXtremeDB databases within 
the same hardware device or across multiple, widely-distributed systems. 
eXtremeDB's two-phase commit protocol facilitates instantaneous
fail-over, 
with zero replication-induced latency. 

* Project 25 (P25) is the Telecommunications Industry Association's 
(TIA) standard for digital two-way radio technology. P25 was originally 
created by the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials 
International (APCO) in cooperation with the National Association of 
State Telecommunications Directors (NASTD) and the US government 
to insure interoperability between Federal, State, and local public
safety 
agencies. 

 http://continuitycentral.com/news01053.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/