Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TV producer charged over taping incident

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:41:06 -0400

TV producer charged over taping incident 

Thursday, April 29, 2004
By Ken Kolker and Barton Deiters

The Grand Rapids Press 
A local TV station producer is facing a felony charge after allegedly
setting 
up a hidden video camera in his roommate's bedroom. 

Daniel Gallagher, 28, who has produced the Daybreak early morning news 
program at WOOD-TV (Channel 8) is to appear in Grand Rapids District
Court next week 
for a preliminary hearing on a charge of installing an eavesdropping
device, 
according to court records. 

"The defendant allegedly installed video and audio equipment over his 
roommate's bed in an attempt to disclose his promiscuity," police wrote
in court 
records. 

The alleged victim, who also worked at the station, discovered the
device 
last weekend and reported it to police. 

The men lived together in a fourth-floor apartment at Boardwalk
Apartments, 
an upscale development in an old factory at 940 Monroe Ave. NW. 

Adam Budnick, who is listed as a witness in court records, said
Gallagher 
allowed the alleged victim to live with him for about a fourth of the
rent. The 
two knew each other from college. 

"I told (the alleged victim), there's no free lunch," Budnick said.
"This guy 
wants something." 

Budnick said suspicion arose when Gallagher was aware of events in his 
roommate's life that they had not talked about. 

On Saturday, the alleged victim, 23, found a laundry hamper covering an
audio 
and video recording device in Gallagher's bedroom with wires leading to
duct 
work in the other bedroom, Budnick said. 

A video tape allegedly was brought to police. The apartment was searched
and 
numerous tapes of the roommate were found. 

Grand Rapids Police Lt. Paul Warwick said detectives were trying to
determine 
how long ago the device was installed. "It's been going on over the last
few 
weeks," he said. 

He said police seized some recordings. It wasn't known if any of the 
recordings were distributed. "Those are things that are being
investigated," Warwick 
said. 

Gallagher was arrested on Saturday, the same day his roommate called
police. 
He was released on a $5,000 cash-surety bond with the condition that he
"not 
possess any computer, camera or digital device capable of recording
fixed or 
moving images," court records show. 

If convicted, he faces up to two years in prison. He could not be
reached for 
comment. 

Gallagher, a Detroit native, moved to Grand Rapids four months ago for
the 
job at WOOD, according to court records. 

He was in charge of creating and putting together the Daybreak news
program, 
WOOD-TV news director Patti McGettigan said. 

She declined to say what action, if any, the station has taken regarding 
Gallagher. "The situation is under review," she said. "It's a personnel
matter." 

The station reported the story Wednesday on its noon broadcast. 

McGettigan said there was no indication Gallagher used equipment from
the 
station. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-14/1083250746293270.xml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/