Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's "Fly-Out-Friday" Continues-Center for Public Integrity Turns Up the Heat

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:30:27 -0400

FCC's "Fly-Out-Friday" Continues-Center for Public Integrity Turns Up
the Heat
Center for Public Integrity keeps up assault on FCC travel

By HEATHER FORSGREN WEAVER

April 07 12:37:00, 2004

WASHINGTON-The Center for Public Integrity criticized the Federal
Communications Commission for reducing but not eliminating
industry-sponsored travel.

"While travel by the highest-level FCC employees has all but ceased,
records obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request
show there have been plenty of industry-funded trips taken by
upper-level managers," said CPI Tuesday.
CPI said that industry-sponsored trips to the Consumer Electronics Show
went from 27 employees costing nearly $46,000 in 2003 to
five employees costing more than $6,000.

"The headline should have been, 'The FCC substantially reduces travel,'
" said David Fiske, chief of the FCC's Office of Media
Relations. "The chairman has followed through on his commitment to
eliminate travel by commissioners, bureau chiefs and decision
makers."

Late last month, FCC Chairman Michael Powell was asked again by House
appropriators to eliminate industry-sponsored travel for all
employees.

"I think our goal should be to get down to zero, with the exception
being again on a charitable institution," said Rep. Frank Wolf
(R-Va.), chairman of the House Appropriations commerce, state, justice
and the judiciary subcommittee.

CPI's examination showed that FCC Commissioners Michael Copps and Kevin
Martin and an adviser each took trips sponsored by
non-profit organizations.

Copps and an adviser went to Nigeria and South Africa on a trip paid for
by the U.S. Agency for International Development and
sponsored by Washington State University and the University of Maryland.

Martin and an adviser went to Boston for the fall conference of the
National Telecommunications Cooperative Association.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17606

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/