Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wiretapping Push to Talk Easier Said than Done

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 01:03:23 -0400

Wiretapping Push to Talk Easier Said than Done

There may be another wrinkle in law enforcement’s ability to wiretap
wireless communications—push to
talk services. Verizon Wireless told the Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) this week that
wiretapping laws should one day apply to push-to-talk services. However,
currently the technology
Verizon Wireless uses for push-to-talk services cannot be wiretapped.
Law enforcement officials say that
Verizon Wireless, Sprint and Alltel all use technology that cannot be
wiretapped, and that Nextel is
currently the only wireless carrier capable of wiretapping push-to-talk
calls. CTIA emphasized that the
wireless industry remains committed to the deployment of surveillance
systems that fit law enforcement
needs. (Source: New York Times)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/