Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel convinces majority of FCC to accept key points of Scam Plan

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:35:41 -0400

Nextel convinces majority of FCC to accept key points of Scam Plan
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
April 08 12:47:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—As of Thursday morning it appears that Nextel Communications
Inc. has been successful in convincing a majority of the Federal
Communications Commission that adopting key portions of its Consensus
Plan is the best way to solve public-safety interference in the 800 MHz
band.

FCC Chairman Michael Powell, through the FCC’s Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau, presented a plan to his fellow commissioners
March 9 with the hope of voting on it at the agency’s April 15 meeting.
All signals now indicate that at close of business Thursday, the
commission will announce that it will vote on its plan to solve the 800
MHz problem. The items would not be “sunshined” unless Powell was
certain that he had a majority, and indications are that FCC
Commissioners Kevin Martin and Michael Copps will vote with him.

The FCC will put the 800 MHz item on its April 15 agenda, but may pull
it before the meeting, said Brian Fontes, vice president of federal
relations for Cingular Wireless L.L.C.

“I predict it will be on the sunshine notice. I don’t know whether it
will be on the agenda,” Fontes told the New America Foundation seminar,
“Nextel’s Spectrum Windfall: Corporate Welfare or a Boon for Consumers
and First Responders?”
The FCC must list its agenda items at least one week in advance of a
meeting. Once an issue has been “sunshined,” outside lobbying must
cease. The commission can, and does on a regular basis, pull items from
the meeting agenda.

Fontes said there are too many questions that are just beginning to be
explored for the FCC to make a decision in eight days.
“I will predict that there will be controversies ad nauseum as far as
reimbursement,” said Fontes. “There are a host of questions that have
just begun to be explored.”

The FCC could vote on the item April 15 and then not release the actual
details until they have been fine-tuned during the standard editing
process. It took more than three months to release the controversial
ultra-wideband rules and more than six months to release the wireline
competition rules.

The FCC staff recommendation reportedly closely tracks with the
Consensus Plan developed by some public-safety advocacy groups,
private-wireless entities and Nextel. The staff recommendation would
require Nextel to pay perhaps billions more than the $850 million it
said it would pay as part of the rebanding agreement. Nextel would pay
all of the relocation costs plus the difference between that amount and
“fair-market value” of 10 megahertz of spectrum it seeks in the 1.9 GHz
band. This recommendation was delivered to the commissioners March 9.
The FCC hopes to vote on rules at its April 15 meeting, but Powell told
House appropriators late last month it might take a couple of months to
come to resolution.

The Consensus Plan would shuffle the 800 MHz band to eliminate the
current situation where public safety, private wireless, Nextel, other
SMRs and cellular carriers are intermingled. In exchange for giving up
spectrum in the 700 MHz, 800 MHz and 900 MHz bands and for paying to
retune public safety and private wireless, Nextel has asked for 10
megahertz in the 1.9 GHz band. The staff proposal reportedly does not
require Nextel to relinquish its 700 MHz and 900 MHz spectrum.
Thursday morning, Nextel’s spokeswoman, Leigh Horner, declined comment.

On the other side is the Balanced Approach Plan supported by the
Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association and the United
Telecom Council. The Balanced Approach Plan calls for timely resolution
of interference at the expense of the interferer, coupled with technical
rules, notification and coordination procedures to prevent new
interference.
A third idea was floated Wednesday by the New America Foundation.

The spectrum-relocation bill should be amended to include public safety
so that the FCC can auction spectrum at 1.9 GHz and use the proceeds for
the 800 MHz rebanding.

“The best solution is for Congress to add public safety to the
Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act,” said Michael Calabrese, vice
president of the New America Foundation.

Calabrese believes that the focus on homeland security in the wake of
Sept. 11 is “precisely the reason the FCC can turn to Congress and ask
them to add public safety” to the spectrum-relocation bill.

The wireless industry has worked for years to convince Congress to pass
a bill to allow the Pentagon to be reimbursed if it vacates the 1700 MHz
band, so it is not pleased with the prospect of such a controversial
issue being attached to it at this point.
“The Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act was negotiated among the
administration, the Department of Defense and the wireless industry, and
it is among the industry's highest priorities. Attaching the
controversial 800 MHz issue could delay passage of this carefully
crafted bill, which we hope to see on the president's desk soon,” said
Travis Larson, CTIA spokesman.

The spectrum-relocation bill has passed the House and the Senate
Commerce Committee but has been stalled over a non-related issue dealing
with digital broadcast satellite spectrum.

Fontes told RCR Wireless News following the New America event that
Calabrese’s proposal “was an interesting idea.”
At one point this week, the FCC was said to be considering a plan that
would allow Nextel to receive spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band after its
value is determined in an “auction-like mechanism,” but pro-auction
advocates, including New America, do not believe that goes far enough.

Another rejected idea would have given Nextel bidding credits for the
spectrum it would lose in the 800 MHz band and for paying all of the
rebanding costs to participate in the 1.9 GHz auction.

The FCC has said its main goal in the 800 MHz proceeding is to help
public safety, but J.H. Snider, New America senior research fellow,
argued that public safety would be better served by using commercially
available technologies rather than proprietary public-safety systems.

Calabrese said the New America Foundation invited both Nextel and the
Association of Public-safety Communications Officials to participate,
but both declined.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17630
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:31:21 -0400

J.H.,

 You should have said:

"public safety would be better served by INCORPORATING commercially
available technologies INTO THEIR  public-safety systems."

Public Safety still needs to be the driver on this bus but they MUST
catch-up on new technologies and deployment methodologies. It is taking
years for Public Safety to agree P-25 Phase II. Since the time this idea was
floated the telecom industry has gone through two generations.

Marcel

[email-masked] wrote:

> The FCC has said its main goal in the 800 MHz proceeding is to help public
> safety, but J.H. Snider, New America senior research fellow, argued that
> public safety would be better served by using commercially