Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA snubs Nextel with $3B, 2.1 GHz proposal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:27:14 -0400

CTIA snubs Nextel with $3B, 2.1 GHz proposal
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
April 30 13:25:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—Nextel Communications Inc. should deposit at least $3 billion
in a trust fund and receive spectrum in the
2.1 GHz band instead of the 1.9 GHz band in a plan to solve
public-safety interference in the 800 MHz band proposed
late Thursday by the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association.

“This compromise puts public safety first, and that’s the most important
thing. Public safety has been swinging in the
wind for too long. This proposal ends public-safety radio interference
in a prescribed period of time and makes sure the
costs of rebanding are completely covered. The plan is also legally
sustainable, doesn’t put any one company at an
advantage and gives Nextel the spectrum it had originally asked for,”
said CTIA President Steve Largent.
Nextel disagrees strongly with the word “compromise.”

“A compromise is one of which all of the parties come together, and we
were not involved,” said Lawrence Krevor, Nextel
vice president of government affairs.

CTIA long ago broke with Nextel on a solution to solve public-safety
interference in the 800 MHz band. It has
consistently called for a plan that would not involve rebanding the 800
MHz band. Known as the Balanced Approach
Plan, CTIA’S original proposal calls for timely resolution of
interference at the expense of the interferer, coupled with
technical rules, notification and coordination procedures to prevent new
interference.

Nextel said it was given less than 24 hours notice of a conference call
to vote on the new proposal and was not offered
a draft. It chose not to participate in the call.

In addition to setting up the $3 billion public-safety trust fund,
Nextel would receive permission to use spectrum in the
2.1 GHz band as the proposal moves forward rather than in one nationwide
10-megahertz license.

“Nextel and public safety would complete rebanding on a market-by-market
basis; upon certification of completion of
rebanding in each market, Nextel would receive a portion of the 2.1 GHz
spectrum in that market; upon completion of
rebanding nationally and meeting its obligation to provide $3 billion in
funding, Nextel would receive the remaining 2.1
GHz spectrum for each market,” said CTIA.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17935

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/