Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Betting on IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:33:36 -0400

Betting on IP

By Donny Jackson

Mobile Radio Technology
April 1, 2004

In the public-safety arena, communications decisions traditionally
require tough choices: analog or digital; VHF or 800 MHz; voice or
data; and Vendor A or Vendor B, to name a few. The best decisions
often are reached after a healthy dose of compromise. Meanwhile,
poor decisions have resulted in networks that quickly became
obsolete and required replacement, costing millions of dollars.

M/A-COM hopes to change this anxiety-filled exercise with VIDA,
the company's latest offering that is designed to replace the "or"
portion of these choices with "and." Unveiled during last month's
IWCE show in Las Vegas, VIDA - voice, interoperability, data
and access - features an IP backbone that allows communications
between disparate legacy networks while providing a clean migration
path to the voice and data offerings of the future, according to John
Vaughan, M/A-COM's vice president and general manager.

VIDA Press Release:
http://www.macom-wireless.com/news/pressdetail.asp?id=65

"[With] the VIDA system . you can talk to anyone on any network,
regardless of type, network or manufacturer," Vaughan said. "And,
because it's based on IP, we're comfortable that VIDA is ready for
the next big thing, even though we don't know what that is."

Many would argue that the next big thing is voice over IP. But it's
nothing new for M/A-COM, the only vendor in the marketplace with
a public safety-grade VoIP solution, which it has offered since 1997
while attempting to dispel industry myths about the technology.

"One of the great misconceptions is that, if it's voice over IP, there
has to be latency," said Don Appleby, radio project manager for the
Pennsylvania governor's office of administration. "That's absolutely
not true."

Appleby should know, having spearheaded Pennsylvania's statewide radio
system based on M/A-COM's OpenSky technology http://www.opensky.com/
But Appleby understands the skepticism, which is what caused him to
send employees to M/A-COM in the late 1990s to see if the company's bid
the Pennsylvania project was just "smoke and mirrors" that looked better
on paper than it would in practice. M/A-COM got the contract after
proving
its system "was real," Appleby said.

Unlike many commercial flavors of VoIP, M/A-COM's offering is provided
over a private Intranet with dedicated routes for voice packets, which
also
receive the highest priority on the network. In addition, M/A-COM uses
compression techniques that reduce the size of voice packets by 80%,
minimizing the risk of a bottleneck on the system, he said.

"The latency for any of the systems we're talking about is equivalent
to the digitization in cell phones," Vaughan said.

M/A-COM's compression of voice packets also leaves more capacity for
data access, something most mobile-radio vendors don't even attempt on
their voice networks. The OpenSky solution always has included the
ability to access data at 19.2 kb/s, which compares favorably to the
CDPD
[cellular digital packet data] industry standard, Appleby said.

More importantly, the data access is provided on a dedicated network
that ensures greater availability than CDPD and upgraded GPRS offerings
from commercial carriers. It also means there is no need to pay a
third-party carrier for data access - which will save Oakland County,
Mich.,
$250,000 to $500,000 annually after it completes its OpenSky deployment
in spring 2005, according to Bob Daddow, Oakland County's assistant
deputy
executive for special projects.

"That's not just chump change," Daddow said.

In conjunction with the rollout of VIDA offerings, M/A-COM customers
will experience enhanced data speeds, Vaughan said. Standard data rates
will be 32 kb/s using existing cell sites with the same coverage area as
the voice network.

Further upgrades are available for high-speed (up to 100 kb/s), wideband
(between 100 kb/s and 400 kb/s) and broadband (greater than 1 Mb/s)
service offerings, Vaughan said. However, the ability to realize these
speeds
is based on proximity to a cell site. Because data rates decrease as
users
travel further away from a tower, additional nodes are needed to achieve
consistent data speeds throughout the network, Vaughan said.

Nevertheless, Bob Welch, RCC Consultants' vice president of business
development said the ability to provide high-speed data and
public-safety
voice - "No on else can come close" to M/A-COM's VoIP product, he
said - over the same network is a quantum leap forward.

"The VIDA approach is significant, because it is moving in the direction
of providing serious data speeds in a reasonable amount of time," Welch
said. "It's a whole new ballgame."

M/A-COM customers are not limited to accessing high-speed data via the
voice network. They also can access data via solutions such as Wi-Fi,
4.9 GHz or mesh networks, thanks to the heart of the M/A-COM system:
an IP backbone that includes internetworking and application server
layers designed specifically for public safety.

This infrastructure - available separately via an offering known as
NetworkFirst http://www.networkfirst.com/ - lets M/A-COM offer
customers unprecedented voice interoperability. Because even analog
signals
are transformed to digital packets, they can be routed anywhere.

As a result of the common IP backbone, an analog user in the VHF band
can
talk with someone on a Project 25-compliant digital radio operating at
800
MHz, without the need for temporary repeater patches that tend to
introduce
latency and sound degradation.

Not only does the IP backbone provide a foundation for interoperability,
it
changes the "one size fits all" philosophy that long has prevailed in
public-safety communications, Vaughan said.

"Right now, you can only have one frequency and one radio," he said.
"If you have a VIDA network, you can mix and match. . If you have a
network, we can use it."

This is a welcome notion to communications directors that currently have
to
weigh the financial impact of abandoning a functioning network in favor
of a
technology upgrade. For instance, a public-safety entity may want to
upgrade
to a digital 800 MHz system in urban areas for its advanced features and
in-building coverage, but this solution is extremely expensive if also
used
in
sparsely populated areas. With NetworkFirst, a VHF system can remain in
place in outlying areas, while resources can be concentrated to ensure
the
best possible urban coverage using the 800 MHz system, Appleby said.

This scenario is being played out in Oakland County, Daddow said. One
city in the county declined the OpenSky upgrade largely because it had
made
considerable investments in repeaters that provide excellent radio
coverage via its 420 MHz system, he said. With the IP backbone in place,
all the entities still can talk to one another on the network and the
option
to
upgrade to OpenSky remains in place for the future.

"The NetworkFirst concept gives you the opportunity to tie legacy
network
systems together, and it's transparent to the user," Welch said. "It
allows
you to make the transition to new technology in a way that's
cost-effective,
as opposed to buying a whole new system in one fell swoop."

Indeed, the economics of the VIDA system - which incorporates
NetworkFirst -
are compelling. In addition to utilizing existing infrastructure and
enabling high-
speed data access on the voice network, the solution is fueled by "the
power
of IP," Vaughan said.

All the hardware in the network is commercially available, such as
Cisco System routers and Sun Microsystems servers, enabling customers to
leverage advances in technology. And the value of this goes beyond the
savings
inherent in Moore's Law; Appleby said he has been able to find
remarkable
bargains for equipment in Web auctions.

"Sometimes, we're able to get relatively new equipment for pennies on
the dollar," Appleby said. "It's making a big difference. We're actually
under
budget for the project, which is unheard of."

Even without such dramatic savings, just having the ability to get parts
from
multiple vendors is a blessing - a lesson Daddow learned the hard way
after
a bad lightning strike in July 2000 damaged much of his proprietary
system.

"I was totally dependent on every single piece of equipment coming from
[Motorola]," Daddow said. "I was sweating for 30 days. . Even though the
system was only eight years old at the time, there were several parts
that
were out of production."

The advantages of being IP-based are not limited just to hardware.
Personnel always is an issue, and it's "absolutely" easier to find an IP
network
professional than an RF engineer, Daddow said. And the fact that
M/A-COM's
IP-based solutions are "as future-proof as you're going to get" makes
the
business and technology case even more compelling, according to Appleby.

"This package is worth more than the sum of its parts," he said. "What
this architecture does is free us from all the artificial constraints
that
we've all dealt with for years."

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_betting_ip/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/