Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Transforming Rays Into Weapons"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:47:26 -0400

"Transforming Rays Into Weapons"
Tucson Citizen (Az.) (04/08/04) P. 1D; Cedillas, Romano

Raytheon has developed a new non-deadly weapon based on Active Denial
Technology (ADT), a form of directed energy.
The weapon was recently discussed by Wade W. Smith, deputy of Raytheon
Missile Systems' Directed Energy Weapons
division, at Photon Forum 2004 in Tucson, Ariz. The nonlethal version of
ADT works by sending a beam of intensified
electromagnetic energy that goes through the skin at a depth of less
than 1/64th of an inch and heats the skin's surface, says
the Department of Defense. The ensuing pain causes individuals to stop
before violence can escalate. The pain is nearly the
same as from touching a hot light bulb, but does not cause burning or
damage. The weapon could potentially be used to
restrain large crowds or to protect personnel from small weapons
discharge within a range of about a 1,000 meters. Smith
said field testing of the weapon will starting in May, but added that
beam control is still undergoing refinement. Such
non-deadly systems can be useful for peacekeeping, humanitarian, or
homeland defense purposes; an ADT weapon for
mounting on Humvees has already been developed, said Smith.

www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=business&story_id=040804d1_rtnweapons

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/