Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Prepare Bravest for worst - FDNY will train to cope with terror

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:17:08 -0400

Prepare Bravest for worst
FDNY will train to cope with terror

By FERNANDA SANTOS
DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU

Counterterrorism training will be the FDNY's top priority for the next
two years, according to a landmark plan prompted by the Sept. 11 attacks
and slated for release today.

Hundreds more firefighters and medics will be trained to handle
hazardous materials, a database of potential terrorist targets will be
created and the department will hold monthly terrorism training
exercises, according to the plan, obtained by the Daily News.

"I consider the strategic plan to be one of the most important documents
the FDNY has ever produced," Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta wrote
in the report, which builds on recommendations based on an outside
evaluation by McKinsey & Co. of the city's response to the World Trade
Center attacks.

The McKinsey report calls for hiring more women and minorities,
increasing support services for firefighters and their families after
traumatic events and a command center equipped to manage large-scale
incidents.
Among the recommendations:

Train 25 ladder companies and 25 medic crews to respond to chemical,
biological and nuclear attacks, bumping to roughly 1,000 the number of
FDNY workers capable of handling hazardous materials.
Create a database listing 150 potential terror targets citywide.

Conduct regular training sessions in conjunction with NYPD and Port
Authority cops, as well as workers from hospitals and utilities.

Deploy the newly formed family assistance unit during large-scale
emergencies to notify and counsel relatives and colleagues of
firefighters who are injured, missing or dead.

Expand mentoring programs that target minorities and women and maintain
contact with minorities who have passed firefighter exams but have not
yet been appointed.

Create an electronic backup system to record critical details of every
emergency to which the department responds.
Most of the training and new equipment will be paid for with federal
funds, the report says.

Originally published on March 29, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/178399p-155089c.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/