Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ARRL Calls on White House to Withdraw Support for BPL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:49:33 -0400

ARRL Calls on White House to Withdraw Support for BPL

NEWINGTON, CT.

Apr 27, 2004

The ARRL has appealed to President George W. Bush to
withdraw his support for broadband over power line (BPL)
technology and focus his administration's attention on
"more suitable technologies" such as wireless broadband
access. The League also has issued a call for members to
support Haynie's request.

Bush, in an April 26 speech at the Minneapolis convention
of the American Association of Community Colleges,
advocated changing technical standards to encourage BPL
deployment in the US.

Speaking on behalf of ARRL's membership, President Jim
Haynie, W5JBP, told Bush that while the League supports
universal and affordable broadband access, BPL is the
wrong direction to take.

"Power lines were designed to transmit energy," Haynie said
in a fax to the White House. "They were not designed to
transmit broadband signals, which are, in fact, radio frequency
signals. The broadband signals radiate from power lines and
cause severe interference to radio reception."

Haynie said test sites throughout the US and elsewhere have
amply demonstrated BPL's potential to interfere. "You may
have been told otherwise; if so, you were misinformed," Haynie
said, directing the president's attention to the BPL page on the
ARRL Web site.

Full text:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/04/27/1/?nc=1

In its BPL Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) in ET Docket
04-37, the FCC has proposed amending its Part 15 rules to adopt
new requirements and measurement guidelines for so-called
"Access BPL" systems. The comment deadline is May 3; reply
comments are due by June 1.

The ARRL Web site provides an information package explaining
how members can contact the White House and members of
Congress to express their views on BPL deployment and why
they need to do so at http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/cta/

"Do it now!" Sumner urges in his call to arms. "We need thousands
of responses from all parts of the country, right away, if we are to
make an impression."

For additional information, visit the "Broadband Over Power Line
(BPL) and Amateur Radio" page on the ARRL Web site:
http://www.arrl.org/bpl/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/