Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Defense issues long-awaited wireless policy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:41:21 -0400

Defense issues long-awaited wireless policy
Source: Newsbytes
Publication date: 2004-04-19

The Defense Department has released its long-awaited wireless policy,
making it mandatory for all DOD personnel, contractors and even visitors
entering Defense facilities to encrypt unclassified information
transmitted wirelessly.
The policy, DOD 8100.2, comes nearly two years after DOD issued a
Pentagon wireless policy. The new policy, which supersedes the earlier
Pentagon policy, takes effect immediately. DOD officials had suggested
the policy was imminent for nearly three months.

“For data, strong authentication, nonrepudiation and personal
identification are required for access to DOD information systems in
accordance with published DOD policy and procedures,” said Paul
Wolfowitz, deputy secretary of Defense. “Identification and
authentication measures shall be implemented at both the device and
network level.”

The directive views wireless devices, services and technologies that are
integrated or connected to Defense networks as part of those networks.
Data encryption, at a minimum, must be implemented end-to-end over an
assured channel and must be validated against Federal Information
Processing Standards requirements under the Cryptographic Module
Validation Program.
The policy, released late Friday, will allow exceptions on a
case-by-case basis.

The new law prohibits the use of wireless devices for storing,
processing or transmitting classified information without “explicit
written approval of the cognizant designated approving authority. If
approved by the DAA, only assured channels employing National Security
Agency-approved encryption shall be used to transmit classified
information,” Wolfowitz noted in the directive.
Furthermore, cellular, PC, radio frequency and infrared wireless devices
are not allowed—without written approval—in areas where classified
information is discussed, electronically stored, processed or
transmitted.

Wolfowitz directed Defense agencies to screen for wireless devices
within their organizations by using active electromagnetic sensing to
detect and prevent unauthorized access of Defense systems.

Other parts of the directive require that:

Portable electronic devices that can connect directly to a DOD wired
network not be operated wirelessly while connected.
Antivirus software be used on wireless systems that transmit data.

Defense establish a wireless knowledge management process to promote
wireless expertise.
Reported By Washington Technology,

http://www.washingtontechnology.com

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=50001784&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/