Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Los Angeles Cell Phone Use Interferes with Emergency Services

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:22:41 -0400

Los Angeles Cell Phone Use Interferes with Emergency Services
Monday , April 26, 2004 11:46 ET

Apr 26, 2004 (Daily News - Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News via
COMTEX) -- Cell phone users have become so numerous in Los Angeles they
have crowded out police and firefighter services that use the same
bandwidth, creating a sweepstakes with potential life-and-death
consequences as public safety transmissions are drowned out by stronger
cellular phone signals.

The problem lies in the 800 MHz bandwidth, which is occupied by the Los
Angeles Police Department for data transfers, the Fire Department for
voice signals and a growing number of cellular phone users, particularly
those using Nextel Communications.

The airwave congestion isn't unique to Los Angeles. But in a city full
of cell phone users, and where hills and mountains already interfere
with emergency radio signals, experts and officials say the problem is
magnified.

"We can talk to dispatchers, but in areas where the Nextel interference
is significant, we are unable to hear the dispatcher clearly and in some
cases, not at all," fire Capt. Kevin Nida said.

"It probably happens many, many times, but we don't know how often it
happens. It's significant."

Police and firefighters say the problem is particularly vexing because
there's no way to distinguish between dispatch calls lost due to
cellular interference and those lost because of blockage by hills and
buildings, equipment malfunctions or sunspots.

Cellular interference emerged in the late 1990s as the Federal
Communications Commission allocated larger chunks of the 800 MHz
bandwidth -- long occupied by police and fire departments -- to cellular
companies. Although public and private users don't share frequencies,
the stronger cellular broadcasts often bleed over into the police and
fire channels.

In Los Angeles, where the chief cellular user of the 800 MHz bandwidth
is Nextel Communications, company spokesman Tim O'Regan said engineers
are working with local police and fire departments to reduce
interference.

"There's no way we can proactively find out where the interference is.
We need to hear from the source, which is the public safety agency, and
we'll work with them to correct any problems."

Nextel has proposed a broad reallocation of frequencies in the 800 MHz
bandwidth that would separate public safety channels from those used by
cell phone companies.

The company has offered $850 million to subsidize the cost of retuning
police and fire radios, although many public safety departments say the
costs would run into the billions.

O'Regan said Nextel would pay "100 percent" of the cost of retuning
local radios as part of its plan, which also grants the company new
bandwidth at no cost.

One brokerage firm estimates the value of the new bandwidth at $3
billion.

Nextel wants to disentangle its frequencies from police and fire
frequencies in the interest of public safety and uninterrupted cell
phone broadcasts. The new bandwidth is crucial to accomplishing those
goals.

"No one is at fault," O'Regan said. "Nextel is not at fault. We are
operating within the lawful confines of the FCC. The only way to solve
this problem is to reband."

The FCC, which ultimately must approve any solution, has ruled out any
federal funding to subsidize the cost of retuning local police and fire
radios, a spokeswoman said.

Los Angeles police and fire officials also don't want to get stuck with
the bill.

"The companies that are responsible for causing the interference should
be responsible for solving it," Nida said. "The taxpayers are going to
bear the brunt of either having delayed (emergency) response or having
to pay to retune our system."

The Fire Department's radio system cost $50 million while the LAPD's
cost $60 million, officials said. They could not estimate the cost of
retuning the radios.

Cellular interference is less of an issue for the LAPD, which broadcasts
voice calls on a different frequency. But the LAPD's data transmissions,
which include routine dispatch calls and information on suspects, go
over the 800 MHz bandwidth and often run into interference.

The interference is more of a nuisance for officers using portable
computers in their patrol cars than in life-and-death matters.
"It's not considered a lifeline," said Sgt. Kurt Miles of the LAPD's
radio tech unit. "If an officer can't run the call on the computer, he
can always call the dispatcher."

Miles and Jeffrey Jantz, commanding officer of the LAPD's Emergency
Command Control Communications System Division, said it's often
difficult to finger cellular signals as the culprit in dropped data
transmissions. Jantz said the FCC places the burden of proof on the
public safety agency to show that cell phone signals are at fault.
"When cell phone usage goes down, our problems go down," Miles said.
"You just die on Mother's Day because everyone is calling."

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, which serves unincorporated
areas and some cities such as Santa Clarita and Lancaster, hasn't
experienced interference because it broadcasts at different frequencies,
Lt. Jim Davis said.

Even at the Los Angeles Fire Department, which has a team of radio
technicians working part time on the interference issue, not everyone
believes cell phone signals block their broadcasts.

"We know there are problem spots -- elevators, canyons, some
high-rises," said Battalion Chief Ron Leydecker. "We've had no problem
with cell interference that we know of."

Nida has had firsthand experience with garbled and staticky dispatch
calls near Nextel antennas, which he said broadcast at twice the
intensity of Fire Department antennas. In one instance, the Fire
Department dispatched another engine after failing to reach his unit,
resulting in a delay in getting to the scene.

Cellular interference has spawned two rival solutions: the Nextel-backed
frequency reallocation dubbed the consensus plan and a proposal to force
cellular companies to eliminate interference at their own expense within
60 days of a police or fire agency pinpointing the problem.

The second proposal is supported by the Cellular Telecommunications and
Internet Association. The trade group argues that the Nextel plan would
take years to implement while its plan would solve problems within
weeks.

Nextel calls that a Band-Aid approach, saying the only permanent
solution is to separate the conflicting users. An FCC official who spoke
on condition of anonymity agreed and said the commission is eyeing a
long-term fix.

The official could not say when the FCC will formally decide on a plan.
Meanwhile, local police and firefighters are looking to Washington for
solutions, saying there's little they can do without federal
intervention.

"We don't have any teeth to stop Nextel from doing what they're doing,"
Nida said. "They're killing our system."
By James Nash

To see more of the Daily News, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to
http://www.dailynews.com.

http://www.knobias.com/individual/public/news.htm?eid=3.1.e0a65fc1b9dad3919abe2e621cac3ff6fa9c2afed4ab316d32461c137cd0211e 
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/