Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Pulver Report - April 30, 2004 Issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:29:30 -0400

THE PULVER REPORT(TM)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

 In this Issue:

 - Heard on the Net
 - Announcing the IP Communications MoU
 - The Success that was Spring VON 2004!
 - Cool new feature on Free World Dialup: The Talking Blog
 - pulver.com Partnering with Peer 1 Network
 - Going Supernova
 - The Tao of VoIP
 - We need QoS on Hotel Networks
 -`My Meeting with Orkut @ Google
 - My run-in with Jessica Simpson
 - Rock Revolutionary Wanted:
 - pulver.com 2004 Conference Calendar

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Heard on the Net: Regulation is in the Air; pulver events in May and
June

Spring 2004 VON was a personal tipping point with regard to the traction
of
our VON Conferences and, as I note below, it was by far our most
successful
event since the Spring 2000 VON (and in many ways it was even better).

On March 10 the FCC issued their IP NPRM, initial comments for which are
due
by the end of May.  In the meantime, the reply comment deadline for the
FBI's recent CALEA petition has now passed, and some of the comments
submitted make for highly interesting reading. Also, Senator Sununu
introduced his VoIP bill in the Senate and Congressman Pickering
submitted
his VoIP bill in the House.

The FCC recently ruled on the AT&T Petition and I am personally quite
pleased that the FCC has finally clarified the existing law pertaining
to
AT&T's use of the IP backbone. This decision will allow the Commission
to
move forward, empowering IP-enabled innovators and entrepreneurs and the
capital markets and thus hastening the realization of the promise of IP
communications. I am confident that the FCC will effectively shape the
policies -- both domestically and internationally that are needed to
foster the growth, capabilities and ubiquity of IP communications.

In Pennsylvania, the State Commission recently voted 5-0, "No Assertion
of
Jurisdiction/Monitoring Mode."

The US Senate had two committee meetings this week that focused on the
future of Communications. I had initially heard that they were planning
to
have three sessions, and I was hoping to testify in the third session,
but
now this has been delayed by a few weeks.

In Canada the CRTC recently issued a preliminary ruling stating that
that
existing Telco regulations should be applied to next-generation IP
Communication service providers. I expect that that this ruling will
change
once someone clearly explains that voice can be delivered separate from
transport, and that a continuation of legacy regulations is certain to
block
innovation in the Canadian telecommunications industry. As the CRTC VoIP
Hearing originally scheduled to take place May 19-20 was recently
rescheduled for September of this year, my hope is that we will be able
to
fully explore all of the related issues at VON Canada (May 18-20).

IP Communications is now being considered in Germany by the RegTP -- the
German Regulatory Authority for Telecommunications and Post - and it is
reasonable to hope that they will rule correctly on IP Communications.

I'm writing this issue of the Pulver Report in Nashville as I prepare to
take part in the Tennessee Regulatory Authority's VoIP Day.

Skype's co-founder and CEO, Niklas Zennstrom, will be making his first
public speaking engagement in North America at VON Canada 2004.

Today the "Early Bird" registration period ends for VON Europe 2004
(London,
June 7-10). <http://pulver.com/europe2004/register.html> Registration is
still open for VON Canada 2004, set to take place in Toronto May
18-20th.
<http://pulver.com/canada2004/register.html>  From June 21-23 we will
conduct our SIP Summit in Chicago <http://pulver.com/sipsummit> in
conjunction with Supercomm 2004, and this will be followed later that
same
week by Kevin Werbach's Supernova 2004 <http://pulver.com/supernova>.

These past few weeks have continued to be extremely busy for me at
pulver.com.  I try to blog on a daily basis
<http://192.246.69.231/jeff/personal/>, attempting to capture some of my
thoughts and detail on the various things I am working on.  As always,
your
feedback on my Pulver Report is sincerely appreciated.

    People on the Move
    ------------------

 - Jonathan Askin recently joined pulver.com as General Counsel.

 - John Butz recently joined the Comcast Corporation in Philadelphia.

   To be listed in a future "People on the Move" column, please
   email: [email-masked] to report a change in your position.
   Please refer to: "People on the Move" in the subject.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Announcing the IP Communications MoU

At Spring VON 2004 the initial meeting of the Internet Protocol
Memorandum
of Understanding (IP-MoU) took place. IP-MoU is an international
consortium of IP-based service and application providers who are intent
on
quickly realizing the promise of interconnecting ubiquitous IP
communications.

The purpose of the IP-MoU is to promote, adopt and implement common
principles designed to achieve three primary objectives:

1.      The interoperability, interconnection and ubiquity of
        IP-based service and applications.

2.      The establishment of processes that will ensure that
        IP-based services and applications comply with local, national
        and international laws and social objectives.

3.      To ensure that consumers worldwide are assured basic rights
        as users of IP communications.

For more information on IP-MoU, please visit our website at:
<http://www.ip-mou.org>.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 The Success that was Spring VON 2004!

In case you weren't fortunate to be in attendance or if you haven't
already heard, Spring VON 2004 was the best event pulver.com has yet
produced. With over 3,500 participants, the event in Santa Clara was our
second-largest on record. And the make-up of this audience was quite
remarkable as well, with people attending from over 30 countries
representing over 950 companies.

As recently as 2000 the mix of delegates at VON was about 70% vendors
versus 30% other (service providers, enterprise users, analysts, VCs,
etc.). Now, four years later, the service providers and enterprise users
alone outnumbered vendors at Spring VON 2004.  Also, a record number of
press people and analysts were on-hand to cover the event, while the
investment banking community also turned up in force to showcase the
VoIP
industry for their customers.

Spring 2004 VON was also special for many other reasons, not the least
of
which was the fact that AT&T, Level 3, and Microsoft all chose it as a
forum for major announcements.

For links to some of the extended press coverage, please visit:
<http://192.246.69.231/jeff/personal/archives/000687.html>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Cool new feature on Free World Dialup: The Talking Blog

Now, as if reading it wasn't pleasurable enough, you can actually listen
to the latest entries from my blog simply by dialing Free World Dialup
number 19020.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 pulver.com Partnering with Peer 1 Network

pulver.com and Peer 1 Network recently joined forces to launch the "VoIP
Acceleration Project."  This joint venture is designed to provide
assistance to start-up companies in the IP Communications industry
through
bandwidth and collocation subsidization.

My hope is that the VoIP Acceleration Project can provide a launching
pad
for VOIP entrepreneurs with the vision, but not necessarily the
financial
backing, to take VOIP to the masses.  Perhaps by identifying and
nurturing
some key start-ups focused on IP Communications we can help to further
revolutionize the way in which the world communicates.

For more information about our VOIP Acceleration Project, please visit
the
website at <http://pulver.com/colo>.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Going Supernova!

I am greatly anticipating Supernova 2004, which is taking place in Santa
Clara, CA on June 24-25. <http://pulver.com/supernova>

This promises to be the most blogged about event yet.

Supernova is a Kevin Werbach event (I'm his partner), and he offers it
for
the purpose of exploring the decentralization of communications,
software,
and media. It brings together 200+ influential executives,
technologists,
entrepreneurs, investors, and other thought leaders in a unique,
interactive
format.

>From a personal perspective, it was at Supernova 2003 that I finally made
the commitment to blog on a daily basis^Åand I've been doing so ever
since.

Included among the speakers at Supernova 2004 speakers are:

- Ray Ozzie (CEO, Groove Networks)
- Esther Dyson (Chairman, EDventure Holdings)
- Clay Shirky (Author and Consultant)
- Lawrence Lessig (Professor, Stanford Law School)
- Michael Gallagher (Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce)
- Mena Trott (Co-founder, Six Apart)
- Meg Hourihan (President, Kinja)
- Jeff Ganek (CEO, Neustar)
- Shawn Hardin (SVP, AOL Broadband)
- Joanna Rees Gallanter (Managing Partner, Venture Strategy Partners)
- Loc Le Meur (CEO, UBlog)

If you are wondering what is truly cool in technology and would like to
meet
the people who bring that coolness to the edge, don't miss Supernova.

Supernova 2004 is less than 8 weeks away, so now is the perfect time to
register. <http://pulver.com/supernova/register.html>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
  The Tao of VoIP

I enjoyed reading Tim McElligott's recent Back Office Beat column
entitled The Tao of VoIP.

 <http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/telephony/v/1162>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 We need QoS on Hotel Networks

Over the past few weeks I have TOO often found the quality of the
broadband
networks being sold to hotel guests to be quite poor^Åpoor enough, in
fact,
to go back to dial-up.

So much for the always-on, Broadband Revolution.

Earlier this month I spent some time in Scottsdale on a family vacation,
and
the broadband quality I received was sometimes fair sometimes.  This was
discouraging because just a year ago I stayed at the same hotel, and at
that
time the broadband connectivity was quite good.   Of course, chances are
that I had significantly more competition for the connection this year
than
I did when I was last in Scottsdale, but this is a hollow excuse at
best.
If my recent Scottsdale stay had been my first time experiencing
broadband
from a hotel I would have soon given up and tried to relax a little
after
all, I was supposed to be on vacation. ;-)

Seriously, though.  If conditions don't improve soon  or even if they do
--
I expect to see a dynamic added to the rating of hotels and/or resorts
that
grades the presence/quality of the available broadband access perhaps a
four-star scale, with an extra star thrown in if Wi-Fi is available in
the
hotel room?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 My Meeting with Orkut @ Google

While I was in Santa Clara for Spring 2004 VON I had the opportunity to
meet Orkut Buyukkokten -- the engineer credited with the development of
Orkut -- on the old SGI campus, which is now occupied by Google.

Having never visiting Google in the past, the entire experience felt
slightly surreal, and I really enjoyed the spirit of the place. I
especially enjoyed watching the streaming list of Google searches on
display inside the lobby of the building, finding it to have a
mesmerizing
effect quite similar to the one experienced by watching waves crash
against the beach or by staring at a burning log.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 My run-in with Jessica Simpson

While I was on vacation in Scottsdale, AZ, I had an interesting albeit
unique experience as a guest at resort.

Jessica Simpson was sitting poolside with a few friends relaxing and
taking in the sun. So, I took out my camera and took a few pictures.

After a few minutes, one of her friends asked me to stop taking pictures
and I did and I went to my hotel room.

Fifteen minutes later there was a knock on my door and it was Hotel
Security. The security person demanded for me to give him the film from
my
camera and I told him that I had no film. He ended up demanding that I
delete the photos from my camera - which I did.

I thought things like this only happened in novels, TV and in the
movies.

So much for not letting Jessica Simpson get in the way of my vacation.

<http://192.246.69.231/jeff/personal/archives/000702.html>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Rock Revolutionary Wanted:

  <from: http://pulverradio.com/job.html>

24/7 Internet Rock Radio Station seeks Full Time On-Site Manager of
Operations to coordinate intern staff from local university, voice
track, dj
selective live segments daily. You will also manage the automation
system,
playlist/scheduler, and schedule and manage music programming and input
of
traffic, advertising and promotions. Radio background is key as well as
sensitivity to broadcast best practices. Staff person will need to
process
and respond to input about sound, image, and music, be capable of
responding to focus group and research study information,
consumer/listen
feedback to adjust station image.

This is a Full-Time Fun position for a true music fan . but being
technically savvy is key in this complex, dynamic environment. You will
be
the voice of the station but you will also be its chief mechanic. You
must
be sensitive to needs and responsive to management staff and work with
consultants. Background in and love of music is essential. Energetic
self-starter, entrepreneur-style employee needed.

Please send the following information in confidence to [email-masked] :

- Air Check (link or mp3/wma/real files for review)
- Two Professional References in Broadcast Industry
- Resume (Microsoft WORD format or .PDF accepted)

Competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package will be provided.

pulverradio is located @ the pulver.com offices in Melville, NY.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
pulver.com 2004 Conference Calendar <http://pulver.com/conference>

 "Events for the Communications Industry" (tm)

 May 18-20     - VON Canada 2004, Toronto, Canada
                 <http://www.pulver.com/canada2004/>

 June 7-10     - VON Europe 2004, London, UK
                 Olympia Conference Centre
                  <http://pulver.com/europe2004>

 June 22-23    - SIP Summit 2004, Chicago, IL
                  (co-located at SUPERCOMM 2004)
                 <http://www.pulver.com/sipsummit/>

 June 24-25    - Supernova 2004, San Francisco, CA
                  <http://pulver.com/supernova>

 July 27-29    - 2004 VON Developers Conference
                 Vancouver, Canada
                  <http://pulver.com/developers>

 October
 18-21         - Fall 2004 VON Conference & Expo,
                 Hynes Convention Center,
                 Boston, MA

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/