Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Considers Changing Shortwave Rules

From: "Gregg Lengling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:55:50 -0500

The FCC released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to complete the
domestic implementation of frequency allocation decisions made in 2003 at
the World Radiocommunication Conference in Geneva (WRC-2003). The changes do
not affect TV broadcasting, but changes are proposed for the high frequency
(shortwave) broadcast bands. The FCC proposes to authorize single sideband
(SSB) and digital transmissions in the bands between 5900-26100 KHz that are
allocated to the high frequency broadcast (HFBC) service. Shortwave
broadcasters would be able to continue to transmit conventional analog DSB
(double sideband) signals if they desired. The FCC requested comment on
whether use of Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) should be required for digital
transmissions. The FCC noted that this is currently the only ITU-recommended
digital standard for use in the shortwave bands and standards are often
useful in mass media services such as broadcasting. The NPRM also proposes
allowing lower minimum power for SSB and digital transmission than the 50 kW
carrier power for conventional DSB operation. 

While the FCC NPRM would allow shortwave broadcasters to continue
transmitting DSB, it asked for comment on whether its rules should require
"the capability to offer digital modulation in all new HFBC transmitters put
into service after the effective date of the Report and Order in this
proceeding." 

For more information on the proposed changed for shortwave broadcasting and
other frequencies between 5900 KHz and 27.5 GHz, refer to the Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking FCC 04-74.

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI, Retired
Administrator http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org
K2/100 S#3075 KX1 S# 57
Politics is the art of appearing candid and completely open, while
concealing as much as possible.   -States: The Bene Gesserit View

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/