Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel calling in reserves to ensure cellphone ability

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:14:31 -0400

Posted on Sat, Apr. 03, 2004

Nextel calling in reserves to ensure cellphone ability

By Bobby White

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Nextel isn't taking any chances.

The Virginia-based telecom company is the title sponsor of NASCAR's
championship stock-car racing series, including Sunday's
Samsung/RadioShack 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. Simply put, when
spectators place calls on their Nextel phones, the call must go through.

To make sure, Nextel has carted out cell-tower trucks called NASCOW and
SuperCOWs -- for "cellular on wheels" -- to TMS. The COWs will extend
Nextel's calling capacity in the region.

"When we assumed sponsorship, one of the promises we made was to enhance
the ability of people to make calls while attending the races," Nextel
spokesman Mike Mooney said.

More than 200,000 people are expected to attend Sunday's race. With such
a vast concentration of potential cellphone users, call capacity could
be stretched to the limit for all providers.

Nextel isn't the only cell phone company gearing up for the race.

Verizon Wireless will also roll out a truck to help with added capacity.
In addition to its COW, the company is dispatching a crew of equipment
testers to fine-tune the company's network to handle the increased
capacity.

Verizon is the country's largest cellphone carrier. In the case of
Nextel -- a company that is at the tail end of the major wireless
service providers -- it would be embarrassing if their phone calls were
dropped or not connected during the race.

Mooney said Nextel will have one infield COW and three others working
outside the race. The four trucks, Mooney said, are the equivalent of
having 15 cell sites. Nextel will provide the enhanced service at all
Nextel Cup races.
Both Verizon's and Nextel's added capacities will serve only their
respective customers.

"Without this type of added capacity, no network is set up to handle the
large volume of calls that will be made during the race weekend," Mooney
said.

Bobby White, (817) 390-7616 [email-masked]

www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/motorsports/8347134.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/