Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US Eavesdropping efforts leads to arrests

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:48:01 -0400

Subject: Eavesdropping by U.S. agency led to arrests of
terrorist suspects: report

LONDON- The arrests of nine terrorist suspects in Britain and
one in Canada last week began with a message intercepted by the
National Security Agency in the United States that appeared to
give instructions for an attack in the United Kingdom by
al-Qaida commanders in Pakistan, The Sunday Times reports. The
newspaper says the message was received by computers at the
NSA's electronic eavesdropping centre in Maryland, which
monitors millions of telephone calls and e-mails a day.

Police in Britain were alerted of the threat after the NSA
analysed the automatic translation of the communication that The
Sunday Times said was "thought to be between Britain and
Pakistan."

Once alerted, senior British police and intelligence officers,
including David Veness, head of special operations at Scotland
Yard, and Eliza Manningham-Buller, director general of MI5, set
up Operation Crevice, the code name for the international
anti-terrorist sweep.

Meanwhile in Canada, the RCMP arrested Momin Khawaja, 24, a
software developer in Ottawa, in an investigation they have
dubbed Project Awaken. He is the first Canadian charged under
the Anti-Terrorism Act and faces two counts for unspecified
offences between Nov. 10, 2003 and last Monday.

Published reports say the RCMP had Khawaja under surveillance
for more than a month at the request of British police. During a
recent visit to Britain he was shadowed by British undercover
police.

Investigators claim he had a "pivotal role" in the alleged plot,
as well as links to Saudi Arabian extremists, The Sunday Times
said.

But Khawaja's lawyer, Steven Greenberg, said Friday there has
been "no link established at this time" between the case and
allegations of the London bomb plot. Khawaja is slated for a
bail hearing Wednesday and will plead not guilty, Greenberg
added.

The Mounties have said legal and operational limitations prevent
them from releasing more information on the case.

Detectives from the National Crime Squad in Britain were
redeployed from dealing with organized crime to keep
surveillance on the suspects in Britain and the operation led to
the seizure last week of a half a tonne of ammonium nitrate
fertilizer, a chemical used to make home-made terrorist bombs,
in a storage garage near London's Heathrow Airport.

The newspaper said the original tip, picked up by NSA
satellites, was given high priority because it appeared to be
instructions for an attack passing between Al-Qaida commanders
in Pakistan and associates in Britain.

The sender was apparently in the circle around Abu Musab
al-Zarqawi, believed to be the mastermind of attacks in Baghdad
and Karbala last month in Iraq that killed 280 people during a
Muslim religious festival.

The link to Pakistan is also seen as significant because it
disproves a view that al-Qaida's command structure had been
broken up and scattered by the fall of the Taliban in
Afghanistan and arrests made around the world in the last 21
years of the war on terror, The Sunday Times said.

"We all thought there were cells operating in isolation and had
been told that the al-Qaida network had been destroyed from the
top when suddenly we find a chain of command leading back to
Pakistan," a senior Scotland Yard source is quoted as saying.

 http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=world_home&article

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/