Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wiretap equipment gets Lottery official fired

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:45:54 -0400

Wiretap equipment gets Lottery official fired 

04/16/04

Mark Rollenhagen 
Plain Dealer Reporter

Ohio Lottery Director Dennis Kennedy was only kidding. 

Told last month that a technician was working on a better fingerprint
system, 
Kennedy quipped that the next thing the technician would want is
wiretapping 
equipment. 

To Kennedy's surprise, the Lottery's security director told him that the 
agency already had phone-tap equipment and had used it to secretly
record 
conversations on a phone at Lottery headquarters in Cleveland. 

The revelation sparked an internal investigation that led to the April 2 
firing of the Lottery's human resource director and a continuing
criminal probe by 
the State Highway Patrol. 

Details about how the wiretap became known to top Lottery officials and
why 
Human Resources Director Renee Bianchi asked for it in the first place
are 
contained in a security report that the Lottery released this week. 

Bianchi, 47, of Parma, had worked for the Lottery for 13 years. In a
letter 
to Bianchi, Kennedy said Bianchi was being terminated from her
$69,000-a-year 
post because of "dishonesty, insubordination" and other actions. 

She has denied any wrongdoing and is considering legal action against
the 
Lottery. 

In the report, Security Director Jack O'Donnell said Bianchi told him
she 
wanted to record calls because she believed a former Lottery worker had
made 
threats against members of the human resources staff. 

A human resources staff lawyer, who had told Bianchi it was OK to
monitor 
business conversations, told O'Donnell that Bianchi said she wanted to
tap the 
phone because she suspected a worker was providing "business
information" to the 
former worker. 

The report doesn't state what information the worker was suspected of 
providing, but Lottery officials said it dealt with personnel issues. 

O'Donnell said in the report that, until Kennedy joked about wiretap 
equipment last month, he had assumed Kennedy had signed off on secretly
recording 
telephone calls. 

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1082112923151430.xml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/