Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Govt. prepares PCS, trunking auctions - Mexico

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 04:01:29 -0500

Govt. prepares PCS, trunking auctions - Mexico

Monday, March 29, 2004 17:26 (GMT-0400)

Mexico's government will auction spectrum in the 800MHz and 1900MHz
bands this year, for mobile PCS and radio trunking services,
respectively, local press reported, quoting communications
undersecretary Jorge Alvarez.

The two spectrum sales will be accompanied by a satellite concession as
well as three telecoms
tenders, giving the government a total of six projects to manage before
year-end.

The government's plan is to launch the processes in April and conclude
them in December, Alvarez was quoted as saying.
The concessions and tenders together are expected to yield a combined
investment of 800mn pesos (about US$75mn), he said.

The satellite concession is for the 77 degrees east orbital position.
Mexico's government is eager to occupy the position after losing a
vacant position on the 105 degrees west orbit to New Skies, a Dutch
operator.

Hispasat, Intelsat, Dish Network, Nahuelsat and possibly PanAmSat are
expected to participate in the auction, Alvarez said.
Meanwhile, Alvarez said the PCS and radio trunking licenses are open to
all players, including Telcel and Nextel Mexico, the respective dominant
operators in each category.

Desperate for spectrum, Telcel recently signed a 16-year spectrum lease
contract from rival Unefon, paying US$268mn for the rights. Some had
suggested that as Mexico's largest owner of spectrum, Telcel might be
left out of the auction, but Alvarez ruled the operator would be allowed
to participate in the process.

The three telecoms tenders support the administration's e-Mexico
initiative, providing internet connectivity to thousands of community
information centers around the country, probably through very small
aperture terminals (VSATs), and public and private telephony to 2,639
poor locations around the country.

Mexico's public works and development bank Banobras will finance the
three tenders, according to Alvarez.
Meanwhile, the government will also promote connectivity through private
agreements with telecoms operators and internet service providers,
encouraging them to subsidize internet access for low-income and rural
community centers, Alvarez said.

BNamericas.com

http://www.bnamericas.com/story.xsql?id_noticia=277136&Tx_idioma=I&id_sector=2

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/