Subject: [NEXTEL-1] United Defense Issues Final Stockholder Voting Results from 2004 Annual Meeting of Stockholders

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:02:00 -0400

April 14, 2004 05:29 PM US Eastern Timezone

United Defense Issues Final Stockholder Voting Results from 2004 Annual
Meeting of Stockholders

ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 14, 2004--United Defense
(NYSE:UDI) released today the final tabulation of stockholder
votes from its Annual Meeting of Stockholders held yesterday.

Owners of more than 95 percent of United Defense's outstanding common
stock were represented in person or by proxy at United Defense's annual
meeting. Voting results on the items of business follow:

Election of Directors

Each of the following nine nominees to the board of directors was
elected, to serve until their respective successors are elected and
qualified:

Frank C. Carlucci, age 73, became a director in December 1997. He is
currently Chairman Emeritus of The Carlyle Group. Prior to joining
Carlyle in 1989, Mr. Carlucci served as Secretary of Defense from
November 1987 to January 1989. He currently also serves as Chairman
of the Board for Neurogen Corporation.

Peter J. Clare, age 39, became a director in October 1997. Since 1999,
Mr. Clare has been a Managing Director with The Carlyle Group,
which he joined in 1992. He previously was with First City Capital, a
private investment group and also worked at Prudential-Bache.

William E. Conway, Jr., age 54, has been Chairman of the Board since
October 1997. He has been a Managing Director of The Carlyle
Group since August 1987. Mr. Conway was Senior Vice President and Chief
Financial Officer of MCI Communications Corporation from
1984 until 1987 and currently is Chairman of Nextel Communications, Inc.

C. Thomas Faulders, III, age 54, became a director in May 2003. He is
President and Chief Executive Officer of LCC International, Inc., a
supplier of infrastructure services to the wireless telecommunications
industry. Prior to joining LCC, Mr. Faulders served as Executive
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, as well as President of the
Integrated Supply Chain division of BDM International, Inc. from
March 1995 through March 1998.

Robert J. Natter, age 58, became a director in March 2004. Adm. Natter
is an independent consultant. He retired from the U.S. Navy in
December 2003 with the rank of Admiral, and served as Commander of the
U.S. Atlantic Fleet from 2000 to 2003 and Commander of the
U.S. Fleet Forces Command from 2001 to 2003.

J.H. Binford Peay, III, age 63, became a director in December 1997. He
retired from the U.S. Army in October 1997 with the rank of
General. Gen. Peay served as the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Central
Command from 1994 to 1997. He currently is Chairman of the
Allied Defense Group and Superintendent of the Virginia Military
Institute.

Thomas W. Rabaut, age 55, became President and Chief Executive Officer
in January 1994 and has been a director since October 1997.
Mr. Rabaut joined FMC Corporation in June 1977 and has worked in a
variety of executive and management positions prior to reaching
his current position.

Francis Raborn, age 60, became Vice President and Chief Financial
Officer in January 1994 and has been a director since December
1997. Prior to joining United Defense, Mr. Raborn served as FMC's
Defense Systems Group Controller in Santa Clara and in several other
financial positions within FMC.

John M. Shalikashvili, age 67, became a director in June 1998. Gen.
Shalikashvili is an independent consultant and Visiting Professor at
Stanford University. Prior to joining the board, he was the Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs of Staff for two terms from 1993 to 1997.

Approval of Incentive Award Plan

Stockholders approved of the amendment and restatement of our stock
option plan, renamed the Incentive Award Plan of United Defense
Industries, Inc. The plan was amended principally to increase by two
million shares the number of shares available for grant under the plan,
qualify the plan for certain IRS purposes, and broaden the range of
equity-based compensation arrangements available under the plan.
For more information about United Defense, please refer to our SEC Form
10-K report for the year ended December 31, 2003.

About United Defense

United Defense designs, develops and produces combat vehicles,
artillery, naval guns, missile launchers and precision munitions used
by the U.S. Department of Defense and allies worldwide and is America's
largest non-nuclear ship repair, modernization, conversion and
overhaul company. To learn more about United Defense Industries, Inc.,
visit http://www.uniteddefense.com.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040414005997&newsLang=en