Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RFID Coming To A Cell Phone Near You

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:56:06 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  RFID Coming To A Cell Phone Near You

At 06:28 AM 4/14/2004, Richard M. Smith wrote:
>Red Herring reports that Nokia has quietly launched last month the first 
>RFID-enabled cell phone.

Does Red Herring rate a debut at the CeBIT Fair as quiet?
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200403/938347_5.html
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1551764,00.asp
http://www.mobiledia.com/forum/topic10232.html
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1550108,00.asp

I understand the target market being mobile professionals... it's really 
just a (near) contactless way to read tags you've visibly identified, so
a 
small labor convenience and error-reduction hack.  But I could see this 
easily spilling into end-consumer applications.  The real tipping point
re 
end-consumer use would come if reader devices were cheap (e.g., embedded
in 
most PDAs, some phones, all lap-tops, say), were more than just "tap and 
read" (perhaps  being able to detect, if not read, a tag from at least a 
foot or so, so you'd know what to look for), and if tags were a few
pennies 
apiece, and could be bought by the batch in any Office Depot, or
Wal-Mart.

Ross

Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D., CISSP
Stapleton-gray & Associates, Inc.
http://www.stapleton-gray.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/