Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DOD decentralizes Wi-Fi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:51:36 -0400

Tuesday, April 27, 2004  DOD decentralizes Wi-Fi
BY Frank Tiboni
April 26, 2004

The Defense Department's new wireless fidelity policy seeks help from
many of its agencies to ensure their employees and contractors use
caution when operating wireless computer devices at military
installations.

The chief information officer and DOD's Office of Networks and
Information Integration (NI2) oversee and monitor the new Wi-Fi policy.
But the undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence, the Chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff, the U.S. Strategic Command, the Defense
Information Systems Agency and department staff officials all get roles
in the new policy.

It mandates that military and industry officials do not use wireless
devices to store, process and transmit classified information without
approval from the various agencies and department officials. Deputy
Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz issued the directive in an April 14
Defense Department directive titled, "Use of Commercial Wireless
Devices, Services, and Technologies in the Department of Defense Global
Information Grid."

Wireless devices include notebook computers with Internet or intranet
communications, personal digital assistants, cellular/personal
communications systems, portable electronic devices, audio and
video-recording machines, messaging and scanning devices and remote
sensors. They do not include Global Positioning System receivers,
receive-only pagers, hearing aids, pacemakers, personal life support
systems or other implanted medical devices, the directive said.

Wolfowitz explained the role of military agencies in enforcing the new
Wi-Fi policy:

NI2 and CIO: Oversee policy, monitor it and work with military agencies
to understand and enforce it.

Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence: Work with the Defense
Intelligence Agency, the Defense Security Service and the National
Security Agency to enforce the policy with employees and contractors
including regular inspections. NSA officials must also implement a
capability to assess risks and vulnerabilities with wireless devices.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: Coordinate, develop and implement
policy and procedures regarding operations between the services and
department agencies.

U.S. Strategic Command: Develop defensive measures to detect, deter and
defeat computer network attacks against military wireless systems.

DISA: Incorporate wireless communications considerations into military
information assurance efforts.

OSD Principal Staff Assistants: Ensure procurement of wireless
technologies include interoperability and security.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0426/web-wifi-04-26-04.asp

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/