Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bradenton, Fla.-Area Firm's Surveillance Gear Sent to Middle East

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:29:34 -0400

Bradenton, Fla.-Area Firm's Surveillance Gear Sent to Middle East
Source: The Bradenton Herald (Bradenton, Fla.)

Publication date: 2004-04-13

Arrival time: 2004-04-12

Apr. 13--Using its high-tech, computer-vision technology, Guardian
Solutions says it has developed the world's first portable wireless and
GPS-enabled video-surveillance system -- and the military is buying.

The product, called ThreatSTALKER, uses software already developed by
Guardian and implements it using multiple, portable tripod setups with
attached pan-tilt-zoom cameras, company officials said. Both the U.S.
Army and Marines will receive $500,000 worth of equipment from Guardian
this month. A single tripod ThreatSTALKER system costs $23,000.
In January, representatives from the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency, the research arm of the Department of Defense, met with Guardian
officials to learn about the various ways in which Guardian products
might be applied to security solutions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

ThreatSTALKER can automatically detect and track intruders -- whether
human, vehicle, or sea and air vessels -- at ranges greater than 700
meters within woods, grasslands, coastal and urban areas, and in
ever-changing environments such as various weather and lighting
conditions, the company said. Immediately upon detection, the real-time
video and location of the intruder is securely transmitted to a
monitoring station within a 2-kilometer range.

The technology is a spin-off of Guardian's first security software
application: GuardianWATCH. Software engineers have developed
cutting-edge, computer-vision technology -- artificial intelligence that
Guardian officials hope will revolutionize the security monitoring
industry.

Guardian Solutions is a 2-year-old security software company at 6311
Atrium Drive atop the Bank of America building in the Lakewood Ranch
Town Center.

ThreatSTALKER allows military or security teams to monitor an area
without physically being there, said Ret. U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Bill
Klein, Guardian's chairman. The mobile computer-monitoring unit provides
360-degree surveillance capabilities.
"It would be very, very useful to special operations and to our
Rangers," Klein said. "I believe this is the thing of the future."
In the past, security monitoring consisted primarily of recording
activity in sensitive locations, and when a security breach occurred,
law enforcement would go back and scour tapes to determine what
happened.

"Since 9-11, we've learned that we can't go back and look at history,"
said company President John Montelione. "Then it's too late. We have to
be able to detect threats in real time. This is a huge paradigm shift in
security, and we're just at the beginning of doing that."

In addition to military applications, the new portable hardware could be
used to protect expensive sea vessels or airplanes sitting overnight at
seaports and airports.

"It's cost effective and saves on manpower," said Susan Hubbard, a
software engineer and Guardian's product manager.
The next two or three fiscal quarters will tell the tale as to the
monetary success of Guardian's most-recent product launch, she said. The
company is always trying to "stay ahead of the curve" in terms of
research and development, Hubbard said, adding that more upgrades and
new product development will be coming.

To see more of The Bradenton Herald -- including its homes, jobs, cars
and other classified listings -- or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to

http://www.bradenton.com

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=49742157&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/