Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IT Management: Security-Wi-Fi dangers must be tackled by the board

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:54:55 -0400

IT Management: Security-Wi-Fi dangers must be tackled by the board
by Bill Goodwin

Tuesday 27 April 2004

Senior directors now have no choice but to ensure that their businesses
address security vulnerabilities in their Wi-Fi-enabled PCs and laptops,
Capgemini will tell delegates at Infosecurity Europe this week.

Over the past year, businesses have bought tens of thousands of PCs with
Wi-Fi capabilities that have the potential to open holes in their
corporate defences, said Andy Mullholand, Capgemini's global chief
technology officer.

The introduction of corporate governance rules leaves directors with no
alternative but to take responsibility for Wi-Fi security.
"The genie is already out of the bottle. It is not just a case of asking
whether we should have a security strategy but of solving the problem
that you already have. It is not a case of wondering about return on
investment, but solving a real problem," said Mullholand.

Without adequate security, Wi-Fi networks can put sensitive data at risk
from hackers and leave networks exposed to viruses. But until now,
senior managers have failed to understand the impact that Wi-Fi could
have on their organisations, said Mullholand.

This will have to change if company directors are to stay within the
law. "Sarbanes-Oxley makes you responsible by name. Data protection
makes you responsible by role. We have actually seen a couple of CIOs
get themselves into hot water over the accuracy of data," said
Mullholand.

Infosecurity Europe takes place in London from 27-29 April
www.infosec.co.uk

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=130184&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=6&liChannelID=22&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/