Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WiMAX Forum Attracts New Members

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:26:33 -0400

WiMAX Forum Attracts New Members
BY SUSAN RUSH
APRIL 26, 2004

The WiMAX Forum has attracted some more service providers. With the
addition of BT, Qwest Communications, Reliance Telecom, France Telecom
and XO Communications to its membership roster, nearly a quarter of the
forum's membership is now made up of service providers.

The growing number of service providers joining the group will help the
WiMAX Forum achieve its goal of helping the industry provide broadband
on a "ubiquitous scale," said WiMAX Forum president Ron Resnick. The
organization also has formed a Service Provider Working Group, which is
designed to give carriers a chance to provide input on product and
spectrum requirements to ensure market needs are supported in WiMAX
technical documents.

WiMAX is seen as a last-mile alternative to DSL and cable modem access
and more specifically, as a means to create a wireless metropolitan area
network connecting Wi-Fi hot spots that use 802.11 technology. WiMAX
equipment is expected to have a 30-mile range and optimum data rates of
70 megabits per second.

The Forum is gearing up to begin certification and interoperability
testing later this year. The first WiMAX products are expected to debut
next year.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=04/26/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/