Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Question

From: "ke4cgl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:36:51 -0400

I've been a Nextel user for almost two years.  I am no longer under
contract, and therefore free to move to another provider if I choose to do
so.    In previous years I've had service with AT&T, & Altel (formerly GTE
in this market) with generally satisfactory service.   I'm happy with my
Nextel service and have no desire to change providers.  However, I attempted
to change my plan the other day only to be told that it cannot be changed
without a one year contract.   For those of you who are dealers, or in the
know, is this true, and can it be bypassed?    While a one year contract
isn't that big of a deal, it's the principal of the thing that really
bothers me.   I've already served my time in the contract penalty box, and
I'd rather not return there if I can help it.  Can anyone help with this
issue?

Nick Gossman
St. Petersburg, Fl

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:20:47 -0400

Nick,

Verizon does the same thing. Any change to an existing contract triggers an
automatic 1yr extension. I don't know if you are trying to increase or decrease
your minutes but in light of declining Wall Street metrics, Nextel has finally
offered a more  flexible Plan. (See Below)

I would tell them you are going to take your  number and "Port" to another
carrier if they insist on another contract.
Or request an upgrade or other perk for resigning a contract. Put this all in
writing (so there is no confusion later) and email the regular customer service
address.

Also send an email to:

[email-masked] (Talking Head)

[email-masked] (VP, operations and customer service)

[email-masked] (Senior Vice President of Marketing)

I know, I know how many VP's do the have????

AND CC: your Attorney General(http://www.nextelsucks.org/ag.html ) to let him
know how unpleased you are with this pratice.

===================================================================================

Nextel tests flexible plans in some markets
Wednesday April 28, 8:24 pm ET

NEW YORK, April 28 (Reuters) - Nextel Communications Inc. (NasdaqNM:NXTL - News)
said on Wednesday it has begun testing a more flexible way of charging for its
mobile phone services with an aim to keep existing customers and attract new
subscribers.
Reston, Virginia-based Nextel is
letting customers who talk for more
time than allowed in their monthly
service plans, automatically upgrade
to a costlier plan with more minutes
-- in a small number of markets, Nextel spokeswoman Audrey Schaefer said.

This option means that talkative
customers would pay a set amount
extra if they go over the agreed
minutes and avoid the
unpredictability of expensive
per-minute charges that kick in
when subscribers talk for longer
than expected.

Bear Stearns analyst Philip Cusick said in a research note that the plan was in
line with efforts by other phone companies to raise revenue from recurring
rather than one-off charges.

Sprint Corp.'s (NYSE:FON - News) wireless business plans to make a
rate-structure change in a similar direction in the middle of May, Cusick said.

Sprint declined to comment on Wednesday. But the company said it would soon
introduce a new wireless offer when it reported its earnings last week.

In a similar spirit, Cingular Wireless, a venture of BellSouth (NYSE:BLS - News)
and SBC Communications (NYSE:SBC - News), lets customers carry over spare
minutes into the next month if they have not used up their minute allowance in a
given month.

Expansion of the Nextel plan to its entire network would depend on issues such
as customer popularity and the effect on revenue per user, Schaefer said.

Nextel's stock was down 27 cents or 1.1 percent at $24.76 in Nasdaq trading on
Wednesday.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links