Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Versus Private Networks: Which is Right for Your Wireless Data?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:48:20 -0400

Public Versus Private Networks: Which is Right for Your Wireless Data?

April 14, 2004

For any wireless communications decision-maker, the prospect of
implementing or upgrading a wireless data system means dealing
with what seems to be a highly complex and varied set of options.

Public network commercial carriers offer a rich array of features,
and private wireless network providers offer evolving technologies,
customized coverage, and guaranteed reliability. Finally, there is
the budgeting issue. How do you predict the returns of your wireless
system investment? How will it fit into the budget?

If questions like these keep you up at night, you're not alone.

According to Ray Pache, Director of Sales at wireless data solutions
provider, Dataradio, many decision-makers may at first feel overwhelmed
by the prospect of choosing between a public network and a private
wireless system. "Whether the decision is made in the IT department,
as is most commonplace today, or by an RF (radio) communications
person, there is a learning curve with the technology. If you're
weighing private wireless against public networks, start by examining
the rolewireless data will play in your organization."

The role that a public or private wireless data system plays in an
organization's operations should hinge on several key considerations.
Those considerations include budgeting and mission-critical impact,
coverage, and bandwidth needs.

Below is a short exploration of those issues, and how they may affect
your wireless data decision.

Consideration #1:
Mission Critical Operations (Public Safety, Utilities, Essential
Services)

A key determining factor in the public- versus private wireless network
decision is the nature of the operations being supported by the
communications system. Mission-critical operations have a different set
of
needs than non-essential operations. For many organizations, constant
data
connectivity is crucial. Police departments are a prime example. The
data
from a tag lookup may determine how an officer approaches a vehicle
that's
just been pulled over.

The availability of computer-aided dispatch can determine the speed with
which police and fire units arrive at a call. Finally, a utility cannot
afford to have remote SCADA monitoring functions go down, because the
loss
of communication may impact the performance of the utility
infrastructure.
For these mission-critical applications, interrupted coverage is not an
option, but the ability of public networks to deliver uninterrupted
coverage
is limited. There are no guarantees with a public system, and user
congestion can force essential services off the system during
emergencies
when they need their data the most.

While many public safety organizations have relied on public networks
such
as CDPD, as well as replacements for CDPD such as GPRS, CDMA, and 1xRTT
public network technologies, a private wireless network is the only
solution
that will deliver the mission-critical coverage the public safety
organization truly needs. For mission-critical operations that
frequently
transmit low-bandwidth data and require guaranteed connectivity, the
private
wireless network is gaining growing recognition as the essential choice.

Consideration #2:
Non-essential Operations (Services Dispatch, Remote Administration)

Many applications enabled by wireless data technology are excellent
tools
for optimizing efficiency, however, an organization could do without
them
for short periods of time if the system was to go down. These
non-critical
operations may include dispatch communications for service departments
or
remote administrative functions. Often, these operations require large
amounts of bandwidth, better accommodated by a public network, and have
fewer and less serious implications if the system fails (a possibility
with
the non-guaranteed coverage of public networks).

Consideration #3:
Location and Coverage

Location is a key consideration in the wireless network decision. Public
networks run by cellular companies now cover most large metropolitan
areas
of the U.S. Beyond these metropolitan areas, however, the lack of
coverage
by public systems may make the public vs. private decision an easy one
to
make.

"If you are a utility with SCADA transmission units spread over a large
geographic area, a public network may not allow you to reach into remote
locations," says Pache. "In many areas, private wireless may not just be
the
best option, it may be the only option. In other areas, public networks
provide excellent coverage for non-essential communications. If it can
deliver the communications that these organizations need at a lower cost
than implementing a private wireless infrastructure, a public network
solution is a good choice."

Consideration #4:
File Type, Speed, and Bandwidth

In places where public networks are available, they may offer the
coverage
users need and accommodate larger data types requiring high-speed
communication. This may include visual data or other large files. Public
networks provide a robust system and the ability to add users or
functionality without adding to infrastructure.

With evolving technology, private wireless systems can accommodate many
of
the types of data being transmitted over public safety and utility
systems,
including SCADA information or background and dispatching information on
police or fire calls. Public networks, however, deliver data at higher
speeds, and can handle considerably more of the communications required
for
daily administrative functions or other applications.

For organizations needing large bandwidth for some applications and
private
wireless reliability for others, experts may recommend a solution that
utilizes both types of networks. "In many situations, an organization
may
have a private wireless infrastructure already in place," says Pache.
"They
may opt to keep that system for critical applications and then rely on a
public network for non-essential functions that may require larger
bandwidth. This gives a company or municipal organization the best of
both
worlds."

Consideration #5:
Budget

Cost considerations may ultimately determine when and how an
organization
implements a wireless data solution. "However, preconceptions about cost
may
exist among potential adopters," says Pache. " For example, a private
wireless system does, in fact, require an infrastructure which does come
at
significant cost, but the continuing per-user costs of public networks
add
up. For a large organization with hundreds (or thousands) of users, that
cost may run into millions very quickly."

For municipal organizations that haven't been able to overcome the
up-front
budgeting hurdles for implementing a wireless system, these costs can be
spread out through an equipment leasing program. (See related article in
this issue, Leasing)

Wireless Data Options Fit the Needs of Your Organization

"There is a significant bright side to the daunting complexity of
wireless
data options out there," says Pache. "That is, you should be able to
find a
solution, including the bandwidth, the equipment, the expertise, and the
financing to fit your needs. There is very little reason to put off that
implementation or system upgrade, and there are knowledgeable people out
there who have it in their best interest to make sure you make the right
decision."

To learn more about wireless data solutions for utilities, public safety
organizations and more, visit http://www.dataradio.com

http://www.dataradio.com/article_privatevscommercial.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/