Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ottawa plans $500m security fix

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:18:51 -0400

Ottawa plans $500m security fix

Martin reacts to auditor-general's scathing critique: Emphasis on
passport control, fingerprint checks and bureaucratic co-operation

Robert Fife SoundoffSoundoff
National Post
Thursday, April 22, 2004

OTTAWA - The Liberal government will spend $500-million on a new
national security policy to close significant gaps in Canada's
intelligence and security apparatus, senior officials say.
The policy is to be presented to Cabinet today and unveiled next week.
The officials say it will promise improvements to maritime security,
passport control and Ottawa's fingerprinting program.

"It will outline an overall framework in terms of national security and
how to maintain and improve security. It will outline a number of new
initiatives, building upon initiatives that have been taken [since
September, 2001]," a senior official said yesterday.

Insiders hope the policy announcement will be interpreted as a goodwill
gesture to the security-conscious U.S. President, George W. Bush, whom
Paul Martin is to meet in Washington on April 30.

The security plan is also seen as an important vote-getter for the
Liberals as the Prime Minister prepares to call a June election. A
public opinion survey released yesterday shows a majority of Canadians
want Ottawa to bolster its spending on fighting terrorism and shoring up
defence.

Officials say the policy will address major deficiencies in inter-agency
co-operation recently identified by Sheila Fraser, the Auditor-General,
such as out-of-date terrorist watch lists, backlogs in missing passports
and chronic delays in the dissemination of crucial information to
Canada's intelligence and counterterrorism agencies.

Last month, Ms. Fraser concluded in a scathing report to Parliament that
Canada's "LiveScan" digital fingerprint identification system, which
cost $38.6-million, has been rendered virtually useless as the RCMP
lacks the technology to process the information electronically.

Ms. Fraser said the RCMP has to manually scan 3.3 million fingerprints
against a growing backlog, including prints of refugees. She also found
Transport Canada was routinely cut out of the security loop and its
investigators did not have access to criminal databases and the RCMP's
security intelligence.

Officials say the government will provide money for technology to allow
the RCMP to digitally process fingerprints to decrease the growing
backlog and to swiftly handle new requests for fingerprint analysis.

Transport Canada will also get access to the RCMP database.
The $500-million is part of a $605-million security contingency reserve
for the next five years of which $115-million will be spent this fiscal
year to bolster the country's national security establishment, including
improvements to maritime security.
The navy and coast guard will get funds to improve their communications
and inter-operability between various agencies and to allow more
frequent maritime surveillance operations.

Money will also be directed to the new Canadian Border Services Agency
-- which encompasses customs and border security -- for new customs
installations and security defences at border crossings.

Officials say Anne McLellan, the Public Safety Minister, also wants to
establish an integrated national security assessment centre that will
provide intelligence information to the Prime Minister's new national
security director, Robert Wright.

The new policy is expected to address the backlog of more than 4,000
lost or stolen passports that have not been recorded by the RCMP. The
Auditor-General found that it took 70 days before mislaid or stolen
passports are logged.

The government is expected to announce it will double-check the security
clearances of 4,500 airport employees who the Auditor-General said have
been granted security clearances even though they have "possible
criminal associations."

According to a public opinion survey conducted by POLLARA on behalf of
the Canadian Institute of International Affairs, 55% of Canadians want
Ottawa to boost spending on anti-terrorism and 54% favour an increased
defence budget.

The poll of 1,268 Canadians, conducted between March 29 and April 4,
also found Canadians are strong supporters of Canada's peacekeeping
efforts around the world. The results are considered accurate to within
2.7 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

In her March report, Ms. Fraser painted a dismal picture of Canada's
security establishment, in which agencies barely talk to each other,
priorities are muddled and bureaucratic red tape is endemic.

It was Ms. Fraser's first audit of the $7.7-billion of security measures
Canada put in place in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist
attacks. She found "significant gaps and errors" that needed to be
addressed urgently.

The report cited 48-day delays in responding to "red notices" from
Interpol, the international policing clearinghouse, and said Canadian
watch lists are missing about 8% of wanted terrorists. Ms. Fraser also
identified 16 active airport businesses with ties to bike gangs,
organized crime and drug trafficking.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=537bc229-a9dc-4d46-895b-d6507fb7ed28

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/