Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cisco's security woes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:24:10 -0400

Cisco faced its second serious WLAN security threat last week when a
  network and security analyst released a tool which could effectively attack
  the company's proprietary Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol
  (LEAP) wireless authentication system. Cisco's initial reaction was that,
  despite the risks, the WLAN flaw was not worth fixing. Chris Bolinger,
  Cisco product marketing manager, said, "we knew this kind of attack was
  theoretically possible." This initial reaction notwithstanding, the company
  has just released an updated WLAN security protocol to address the problem.

  For more on Cisco's recent security problems:
  - see David Haskin's report
  - Sam Varghese's story
  - and Dan Jones' discussion
  - for more on Cisco's reaction, see Jim Rendon's report
  - for Cisco's just-released WLAN security protocol, see Bob Brewin's report

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                           .

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                          .

[Image][Image]