Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Homeland Security First to Define Interoperability Requirements for Nation's First Responder Community

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:54:06 -0400

Homeland Security First to Define Interoperability Requirements for
Nation's First Responder Community
"Statement of Requirements" Outlines Future Public Safety Wireless
Communications and Interoperability
For Immediate Release
Press Office
Contact: 202-282-8010
April 26, 2004

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology
Directorate today announced the release of the first comprehensive
Statement of Requirements (SoR) document outlining future technology
requirements for public safety wireless communications and
interoperability.  The SoR can be found at www.safecomprogram.gov.

The SoR, developed under the SAFECOM Program, marks the first time the
50,000 public safety agencies have a document that defines future
requirements for communicating and sharing information -- as authorized,
when and where needed, and in a manner that allows for the most
effective use of that information.

"On behalf of Secretary Ridge, we are pleased that the Department has
undertaken this unprecedented step toward defining the nation's
interoperability challenges for the future," said Dr. Charles McQueary,
Under Secretary, Science and Technology.  "This approach not only
complements the grant guidance we have in place but also provides a
roadmap for our interoperability goals and brings government and public
safety officials together under a common mission."

The SoR provides the public safety community with a shared vision and
describes how first responders can use in-the-field information
resources more efficiently when responding to a variety of emergency
events.  The SoR's other purposes are to encourage the communications
industry to better align its research and development efforts with
public safety needs and to identify public safety operational issues
when discussions regarding laws and regulations take place.

"The Statement of Requirements is a critical document that will provide
first responders with the architectural framework for future
interoperable public safety communications," said Dr. David Boyd,
Director, SAFECOM.  "As we proceed, the needs of the user community will
help drive the development of various communications products that allow
the nation to begin to reach a functional level of interoperability."

The SoR was developed in coordination with the National Public Safety
Telecommunications Council, the National Institute of Standards and
Technology, and the Department of Justice's Advanced Generation of
Interoperability for Law Enforcement or AGILE Program.  The requirements
contain interoperability scenarios that range from law enforcement
traffic stops to large-scale cross jurisdictional responses describing
how technology can serve to enhance public safety in a variety of
situations.  The operational scenarios provide requirements that define
how technology should function in the field, drive technology interface
standards, define user's needs in the development of new technologies,
and provide a guide for research and development, testing, and
evaluation programs.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology
Directorate serves as the primary research and development arm of the
Department, utilizing our nation's scientific and technological
resources to provide federal, state and local officials with the
technology and capabilities to protect the homeland.  SAFECOM was
established in 2002 as part of the President's Management Agenda that
oversees all initiatives and projects pertaining to public safety
communications and interoperability.  It is the overarching umbrella
program within the Federal government to help local, tribal, State and
Federal public safety agencies improve public safety response through
more effective and efficient interoperable wireless communications.  For
more information about the SAFECOM Program, contact [email-masked] or
call 866-969-SAFE.

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?content=3513

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/