Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Navini dumps 802.20 mobile broadband for WiMax -Flarion is on FIRE~~~

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:50:07 -0400

Navini dumps 802.20 mobile broadband for WiMax
By Patrick Mannion

EE Times
Apr 15, 2004

MANHASSET, N.Y. — After years of disparaging the IEEE 802.16 standard
upon which the WiMax Forum is based, Navini Networks has opted to ditch
the competing 802.20 spec it previously backed and join WiMax. The move
comes a day after Flarion Technologies, a competitor and fellow 802.20
member, announced successful trials in North Carolina with Nextel.

Flarion's successful trials means little to Navini CEO Alastair
Westgarth, who said he is convinced that momentum is clearly behind
WiMax and not 802.20. "We had no interest in 802.16 until it started
work on 802.16e for mobile access, which addresses issues we had with
respect to the use of phased-array antennas and also line of sight," he
said.

According to Westgarth, 802.16 has made the most progress, adding that
"802.20 will have a hard time catching up."

Much of the momentum derives from a massive marketing campaign
instigated by Intel early last year. Intel sees WiMax as complementary
to Wi-Fi wireless LANs by providing a low-cost backhaul for hotspots.
For its part, 802.20 targeted mobile broadband applications that would
compete with 3G cellular.

However, the 802.16e version under development also addresses high-rate
mobile access, thereby making 802.20 potentially redundant. "The 802.16
and 802.20 groups will be having their next meeting simultaneously in
China in May [17-20] and I think it will be interesting to see what
happens to 802.20's membership then," said Westgarth, hinting at a
possible migration of members to 802.16e.

Navini already offers carriers a product line based on the ATIS, T1P1.4
standard — an adaptive beam-forming, portable non-line-of-sight
broadband solution similar to the functionality envisioned in 802.16e,
which is expected to be ratified by the IEEE later this year.

While that system uses a synchronous CDMA scheme, it will migrate to
802.16e's OFDM scheme in two stages, said Westgarth. The first will
involve switching software on its current FPGA/DSP-based systems to
accommodate as much of the standard as possible. "These we will call
'802.16 Lite' and although they won't have full-strength coding or
support as many carriers, they will connect to an 802.16 network," he
said. Future equipment will be fully compatible with 802.16 and will
start shipping in mid-2005.

Navini's differentiation will rest with its phased-array antenna and
performance in high-noise environments.

While Westgarth said Navini will not be abandoning 802.20 completely, he
added the only way the company would return is if, "there was a massive
migration to it, and I don't see that."

http://www.commsdesign.com/news/market_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18901712

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/