Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Cyberexperts and Engineers Wanted by FBI"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:45:22 -0400

"Cyberexperts and Engineers Wanted by FBI"
Wall Street Journal (04/06/04) P. B1; Fields, Gary

The Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have forced the Federal Bureau of
Investigations to get more serious about its computer
skills by increasing its IT hiring efforts and waiving some requirements
to lure more IT professionals. The FBI created the
Cyber Division two years ago as agency officials faced the pressing
issues of monitoring potential terrorists and neutralizing
the viruses and worms that plague cyberspace. Cybercrime now trails only
counterterrorism and counterintelligence in priority
for the FBI, which used the Cyber Division to bring all of its computer
experts under one command. The FBI is actively
recruiting people with backgrounds in computer science and electrical
engineering to fill its new jobs, and the downturn in the
IT industry has prompted some IT workers to leave the private sector for
government service. The FBI is now a presence at
high-tech job fairs and leading tech schools such as MIT and the
University of Illinois, says Keith Lourdeau, the Cyber
Division's deputy assistant director. Several agents at each of the
FBI's 56 field divisions work on cybercrime, but the larger
offices in New York and Los Angeles have dozens of cyber agents.
Moreover, local police officers and representatives from
other federal agencies participate in its 40 cybercrime task forces. The
extensive training of agents who work in the cyber unit
ranges from Cyber 101 to intense sessions provided by leading IT
companies. The FBI also now mandates 20 hours of
computer training, such as reading email headers and return addresses,
to all agent trainees. www.wsj.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/