Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New 2-way radios better than FRS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:20:06 -0400

Posted 3/24/2004 4:32 PM

New 2-way radios better than FRS

By Ric Manning, The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

The Family Radio Service looked like a great idea when the first FRS
radios appeared several years ago.

New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter talks on a 2-way radio at spring
training in Tampa, Fla.

By David Kadlubowski, AP

The radios are a cross between a walkie-talkie and citizens band radio.
They allow individuals to communicate with each other over a public
channel using a small, handheld radio.

But the radios turned out to be too popular and too limited. At some
locations, such as amusement parks, the FRS channels are so loaded with
chatter there's no room for you.

The big cell phone networks now offer a walkie-talkie option that can
reach someone almost anywhere in the country. But that requires
upgrading your phone and paying a monthly fee. Even then, you can't talk
to friends if you have service from Verizon and they're on Sprint or
Nextel.

As an alternative, check out the new models of handheld radios that use
General Mobile Radio Service frequencies.
The Federal Communications Commission issues renewable five-year
licenses for GMRS radios. The cost is $75 (wireless.fcc.gov).

GMRS radios transmit with more power than FRS radios (up to 5 watts,
compared with half a watt) and have a range of up to seven miles in
optimal conditions, such as between two boats on a lake.

One example of the new GMRS radios is the Motorola Talkabout T7100
Two-Way Radio ($110 for two).
The T7100 is larger and heavier than most FRS radios, so it's more
suited to being worn on a belt than put in a pocket.
Much of the weight comes from the unit's rechargeable battery. The
rechargeable battery can be replaced by four AA batteries.

The radios broadcast on all 22 GMRS frequencies and can be fine-tuned to
use 38 privacy codes. A "Priority Scan" helps users quickly find a clear
channel.

In a test, the radios provided clear sound in the city, but faded out at
about four or five miles.

Other new handheld radios from Motorola offer additional features, such
as MP3 music, solar power and text messaging:

• Talkabout T5MP3 ($79 each) is a small two-way radio that uses both FRS
and GMRS channels. It has 64MB of internal memory that can be used to
store and play MP3 music files. The radio can be worn on a Velcro
armband or lanyard and will automatically mute the music when it detects
an incoming message.

• Talkabout T5SOL ($80 per pair) has a "Solar Boost" feature that
permits users to use their radios longer outdoors by drawing on energy
from the sun. The boost feature does not replace standard direct-current
recharging but gives the radio a longer life if it's used in sunny
conditions.

• Talkabout T5GAM ($40 each) is a radio that includes a small display
screen and four built-in games. The device is designed for family use to
keep children entertained and in touch.

• Talkabout T5SMS ($99 per pair) combines a two-way radio with instant
text messaging. The radio has a full keyboard that allows two users to
send short, private messages to each other.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/products/2004-03-24-2way-radios_x.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG