Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Navini WiMAX Surprise Clarified

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:16:20 -0400

April 23, 2004

Navini WiMAX Surprise Clarified

By Mobile Pipeline News

Navini Networks surprisingly abandoned plans last week to develop
equipment based on the still-unratified 802.20 standard and switched its
allegiance to another emerging standard, 802.16, also known as WiMAX. A
likely reason for the switch emerged Thursday as the company announced
an original equipment manufacturing (OEM) agreement to produce WiMAX
equipment for French telecom giant Alcatel.

Navini is a relatively new company that had been competing with other
new companies like Flarion Technologies in developing equipment for the
still-unratified 802.20 wireless broadband standard. While the
Texas-based company previously disparaged WiMAX, an emerging standard
that also is unratified, it claimed last week that WiMAX was now the
leading technology for creating wireless broadband that can span
metropolitan areas.

In its statement Thursday, Alcatel said it would distribute Navini's
base stations, element management systems, customer modems and PCMCIA
cards. Navini already sells a equipment based on the ATIS standard,
which is reportedly similar in functionality to future versions of
802.16.

The wireless broadband infrastructure industry is in its infancy, with
standards and vendors jostling for position. Flarion Technologies has
been involved in a high-visibility trial with U.S. wireless carrier
Nextel.
http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/19200015?_loopback=1

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/