Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL BROADBAND TRIAL GOES PUBLIC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:04:45 -0400

NEXTEL BROADBAND TRIAL GOES PUBLIC

Dan O'Shea

Telephony, Apr 19, 2004

Nextel Communications has doubled the coverage area for a trial of
Flarion Technologies' broadband wireless solution it launched just two
months ago, while also announcing that it is beginning to sell service
to the general public in the coverage area under the brand Nextel
Wireless Broadband.

The trial uses Flarion's flash-orthogonal frequency division
multiplexing technology. The test area is now about 1300 square miles
and extends through Raleigh to Durham, Chapel Hill and other neighboring
communities in North Carolina. The expansion was based on the success of
trial measurements of network speed, performance and customer response,
according to Nextel. The carrier is touting typical downlink speeds of
up to 1.5 Mb/s, with burst rates of up to 3.0 Mb/s. Typical uplink
speeds are up to 375 kb/s, with burst rates of up to 750 kb/s.

The service also will begin to accept paying customers,” said a Nextel
spokesman. “It will be marketed to both individuals and business users.”

The service is available under four different monthly plans ranging from
$34.99 to $74.99. Also included is a one-time equipment fee for either a
PC card for laptop computers or a wireless modem for desktop computers —
the price for either is currently set at $100 during an early sign-up
program.

Previously, the service was available only to a Raleigh test group that
included local employees of Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks and IBM,
among others.

http://telephonyonline.com/ar/telecom_nextel_broadband_trial/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/