Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola expands centre in Penang

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:00:34 -0400

Motorola expands centre in Penang
BY SIOW YUEN CHING in Penang

MOTOROLA is expanding its Asia Design Centre in Penang and doubling the
number of design and development engineers to 500 this year.

The expansion of the centre is to support the transfer of technology to
Malaysia to produce competitive terrestrial trunked radio (TETRA) and
Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO) digital
communications products.

In an interview with StarBiz, its Commercial, Government and Industrial
Solutions Sector (CGISS) Asia-Pacific division research and development
(R&D) operations senior director Abdul Wahab Abdullah said: “This is a
big achievement for us in Malaysia to gain the trust and investments
from our US parent corporation to bring in the new technology and
doubling our R&D workforce.

“Ten years ago, we were designing radio for the Asian market,
but today we are proudly designing radio for the world market,”
he said, adding that they would also continue to progress up the
value chain to produce more new products to remain
competitive.

It was reported last October that Motorola Inc had invested
RM500mil in its operations in Penang, apart from the setting up
of a RM80mil customer solutions centre here.

Wahab said apart from hiring local talents to facilitate the
expansion, the company would also be seeking Malaysians
abroad to bring them back to the country.

“Our strength is in our people. Malaysian engineers are capable
of developing world-class telecommunications products,” he
said, adding that Motorola also planned to work with the Penang
Skills Development Centre (PSDC) to develop a broad base of R&D
engineers on the island to fulfil the needs of the industry.

“This is our community service to the people in Penang, being the first
R&D centre in Malaysia,” he said, adding that he hoped industries would
follow Motorola in enhancing the growth of their R&D activities to
maintain competitive edge.
According to Wahab, Motorola’s Malaysian engineers carry out all aspects
of digital radio design, starting with industrial designers and human
factor engineers developing new product concepts, designs and
prototypes.

Electrical and electronic engineers developed the desired circuitry for
these products using advanced microwave and digital simulation tools, he
added.

“Mechanical engineers are responsible for all the physical product
requirements while the software engineers develop the feature sets and
application integration for specialised customer requirements.

“The term R&D has always been used loosely by many people. R&D
operations should include the whole works of drawing up your own
architecture, own plans as well as working with customers to design the
products according to their needs,” said Wahab.

Motorola’s CGISS is a leading provider of integrated radio
communications and information solutions.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/4/21/business/7801756&sec=business

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/