Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Moves To Open More Spectrum For WISPs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:37:20 -0400

FCC Moves To Open More Spectrum For WISPs
BY MARK ROCKWELL
APRIL 15, 2004

WASHINGTON -- The FCC today moved closer to opening up new spectrum for
wireless broadband services aimed at rural areas.

In its monthly meeting, the commission voted to begin making rules for
wireless
broadband operation between 3650 MHz and 3700 MHz. The proposed rules
are
aimed at wireless Internet service providers (WISPs) looking to broaden
their
backhaul and access in "sparsely populated areas," according to the FCC.

The new rules would use unlicensed spectrum that's currently licensed
for fixed
satellite services, but any interference would be minimal. Any
unlicensed users
also would be required to use cognitive or "smart" radio technology that
further
prevents interference.

Ed Thomas, chief of the FCC's office of engineering and technology, said
the
additional unlicensed spectrum also was chosen to complement unlicensed
spectrum in 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. "Some radio manufacturers are making
devices
that could operate in all three bands," he said, broadening WISP
capabilities even
further in the future.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=04/15/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/