Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vocera shows new Trek communicator like device

From: marcel_rf1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:14:15 -0000

Vocera shows new Trek communicator like device 
Newsbrief by Michael Oryl (editor) on Friday April 02, 2004.

"Kirk to Spock, do you feel like going to McDonald's for lunch today?"

You never heard that line in Star Trek, I'm certain, but odds are you 
might hear it some time in the not so distant future. A company named 
Vocera Communications has developed a device that works essentially 
like a Star Trek communicator over a normal WiFi/WLAN network.

The 10.6cm x 3.5cm device can be clipped on to your shirt, and has a 
single access button on it. You simply press the call button, say the 
name of the person you want to speak to, and the device will access 
the Vocera server via your local WiFi network and connect you 
directly to the person. Assuming, of course, that they are within 
range of the network.

Perhaps even more interesting are the implications this could have 
for PTT networks. I see no reason why the Vocera system couldn't be 
connected to a GPRS based PTT (push-to-talk) network via the internet 
and extended to mobile phones. I could easily see this as being 
another service that the big networks could offer to try to lock in 
corporate customers.

You can read more about the device on Forbes.com, or you can go 
directly to the Vocera product page and check it out for yourself.

And no, this isn't an April Fools joke. It's for real.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Paul J Zawada <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:24:51 -0600

> And no, this isn't an April Fools joke. It's for real.

Or you can send email to an address posted on Vocera's web site to 
inquire about their product and get no response like I did...  The lack 
of response from these folks didn't give me warm fuzzies about the 
availability of their device...

--zawada

 
Yahoo! Groups Links