Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Charlotte County, Fla.-Based International Air Ambulance Wins Nextel Award

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:31:55 -0400

Thursday, April 15, 2004 
Charlotte County, Fla.-Based International Air Ambulance Wins Nextel 
Award
April 15, 2004 5:30pm
Knight-Ridder / Tribune Business News

Apr. 14--Wayne Carr, whose international air ambulance service is 
based at the Charlotte County Airport, won first prize in the second 
annual Nextel Wireless Winners Contest, the communications company 
announced Monday.

Carr, president of Air Trek Inc., was among thousands of Nextel 
customers who entered the contest by describing how Nextel's 
wireless services helps them get things done, whether in their 
professional or personal lives. Carr's entry told how Air Trek uses 
wireless communication to coordinate flight schedules, medical crews 
and pilots and support personnel in the United States, Canada, 
Mexico, Europe, South America and the Caribbean. 

Carr remembered writing the entry on New Year's Eve while watching 
Dick Clark on television and waiting for the ball to drop at Times 
Square. Midnight was the deadline for entries, he recalled Tuesday.

"I wrote it 40 minutes before midnight," Carr recalled. "They 
thought I had the most unique use of international wireless 
technology."

For winning the competition, Carr received a $500 American Express 
Gift Cheque and a $500 credit on Air Trek's Nextel bill. Nextel 
awarded first through third prizes in six categories, with two other 
Florida residents -- Moises Pineda of Miami and Margaret Lewis of 
Melbourne -- earning runners-up awards.

Carr is the president and lead pilot of Air Trek Inc. and his 
brother Dana is vice president. Both men hold the highest pilot 
rating obtainable, the Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Wayne is 
responsible for overseeing daily aircraft operations and acts as 
liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, while Dana serves 
as director of operations, overseeing day-to-day medical 
coordination.

Air Trek has been based in the Charlotte County Airport since 1979. 
The company established a second hangar in Winchester, Va., last 
year. Planes out of the home base in Punta Gorda handle the central 
United States and South America, while planes out of Winchester 
cover Europe and the northeastern United States.

The company has 16 pilots on staff, Wayne said, and a full 
complement of nurses, paramedics, respiratory therapists and 
doctors. It has four jet aircraft -- two qualified for transatlantic 
flights, two for the Caribbean -- and a pair of twin engine prop 
planes.

As the Department of Defense's prime contractor for air ambulance 
services, Air Trek moves military patients, including those wounded 
in Iraq, after they arrive from overseas at Andrews Air Force Base 
in Maryland.

"We had three yesterday," Carr said Tuesday.

"We're the largest air ambulance provider in the country," said 
Carr, "and we're also the most credentialed air ambulance company in 
the country."

Air Trek is the oldest such service in Florida and one of the oldest 
in the United States. In 1998, it achieved accreditation from the 
Commission of Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems (CAMTS). It 
also received a Platinum Award from the Aviation Resource Group -- 
United States (ARGUS).

"We are the only long-range, fixed-wing transport provider in 
Southwest Florida to have CAMTS accreditation," Carr said. "It's the 
same accreditation the Mayo Clinic and the Shriners have for their 
flight programs."

Air Trek is dedicated to providing "24 hour, high quality, cost 
effective, domestic and international aeromedical transportation 
aboard advanced life support equipped jet and pressurized twin 
engine aircraft," according to the company's mission statement.

Carr said the successful business has provided the brothers a good 
income and allowed them to help others.

"We ask our clients to fill out questionnaires, and we've gotten 
back some of the most heart-warming responses you can imagine," said 
Carr. "Somebody told us we were the hand of God. I thought that was 
a bit over the top, but nice. We just try to do our job."

FYI

For additional information, visit the Air Trek Web site at 
www.medjets.com/ or e-mail [email-masked].

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=news&start=0&num=1&q=http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/8440333.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/