Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Man Is Shot for Cellphone on Busy Day of Mayhem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:39:47 -0400

Man Is Shot for Cellphone on Busy Day of Mayhem
By SHAILA K. DEWAN

Published: April 12, 2004

A man bicycling over the Williamsburg Bridge to work yesterday morning
was shot twice by a robber, in the leg and arm, when he resisted giving
up his cellphone, the police said. The man was one of 12 shooting
victims from Saturday afternoon to yesterday afternoon, an unusually
high number that included two homicides, details of which were not
released by the police.

The man, Marcin Muchalski, 26, said that just before 7 a.m. yesterday he
was slowly pedaling uphill from Manhattan, where he lives on the Lower
East Side, to Brooklyn, where he was covering for a friend who worked at
the Southside Lounge, a cafe and bar in Williamsburg. Near the middle of
the bridge, a man stepped into his path, brandished a gun and yelled at
him to stop.
Mr. Muchalski, who said he had woken up only 15 minutes earlier, tried
to argue with the man, showing him that his backpack contained only CD's
and notebooks. He offered the man his rusty mountain bike, but the man
quickly became fixated on Mr. Muchalski's cellphone, which he refused to
hand over, the police said.

"Hey man, I'm a hard-working guy, I don't make much money," Mr.
Muchalski said he told the man. He spoke to reporters from his bed at
Bellevue Hospital Center, where he was in stable condition yesterday.

Mr. Muchalski, a photographer, usually works at the Lotus Club on
Clinton Street, which has the same owners as the Southside Lounge. He
also works as a teaching assistant at the International Center of
Photography in Midtown.
Mr. Muchalski said the gun, a silver .38-caliber revolver, looked like a
toy, and he did not think the robber would shoot.
Even after the robber fired, hitting Mr. Muchalski in the leg, he still
did not believe it. "I didn't feel anything; I just kept arguing with
him," he said.

Apparently looking for cash, the man frisked Mr. Muchalski's front
pockets, hit him on the head with the gun and then, when the cellphone
was still not handed over, put the barrel to Mr. Muchalski's arm and
fired.

That time, Mr. Muchalski realized the robber was serious. Mr. Muchalski
turned and fled towards Brooklyn, with the gunman in pursuit.

Terrified that the man would shoot him in the back, Mr. Muchalski ran in
a frantic zigzag pattern, he said. "I thought it might be my last
moment," he said. The man chased him, but then turned back for the
bicycle. It had a flat tire, apparently hit by a ricocheting bullet, Mr.
Muchalski said the police told him.

The robber headed toward Manhattan. As Mr. Muchalski ran, he called 911
and gave the police a description of the robber: a tall black man in his
40's, missing his two front teeth.

A short time later, the police arrested Julius Griffin, 47, of Ozone
Park, Queens. Mr. Griffin was standing just a couple of blocks from the
bridge on Suffolk Street with the bicycle and the .38-caliber gun, the
police said.

The citywide rash of shootings began late Saturday afternoon and
blighted every borough.
At 5:48 p.m. in Bushwick, Brooklyn, a man in a Ford Explorer was shot
once in the right ear and died, the police said. The man, Calvin Harris,
36, had a .380-caliber gun in his lap when the police found him, they
said. The police said they did not know whether the gun belonged to the
victim or had been left by the killer.

About 12:45 a.m. yesterday in Bushwick, there was a second shooting
death, of a man who the police said had a record of arrests on burglary
and larceny charges. He, too, had been shot in the head. The police did
not release his name.

In many of the rest of the shootings, the police said, the victims did
not cooperate with investigators. Around 7:20 p.m. Saturday, a
27-year-old woman was shot in the leg in Queens Village. About 9:45
p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot in the ankle in the Eastchester section
of the Bronx. Forty minutes after midnight, a 20-year-old man in Staten
Island was shot in the right leg, and just 10 minutes later in the
Bronx, another 20-year-old man was shot in the finger, arm and thigh.

At 1:41 a.m. in Washington Heights, a 22-year-old man walked into
Columbia University Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the foot. In
Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, two men, 36 and 39, were shot in the calf
and thigh, respectively, by a third man, the police said. And at 2:45
a.m. in the South Bronx, a 15-year-old walked into Lincoln Hospital with
a graze wound to the head.

Just after noon yesterday in South Jamaica, Queens, a 24-year-old man
was shot in the leg. The police arrested Jermaine Folk, 18, in
connection with the shooting on charges of assault and attempted
robbery.

Counted to April 4, the number of shooting victims this year is down 7.4
percent over the same period last year, according to Police Department
statistics. This year, there have been an average of 3.3 victims a day.
The number of gun arrests is up slightly, to 1,063 from 1,044 over the
same period last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/12/nyregion/12rob.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:50:12 -0700

Geeze, this report sounds as bad as Iraq. 
Maybe we need a senate hearing to see who failed to prevent THESE
killings.

====================================================

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:57:32 -0400

No hearing necessary- Blame Rudy and Bloomberg

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:13:03 -0700

Maybe Bloomberg can hire Rudy as a consultant, if he can take a little
time away from doing Nextel promos. It'll cost a few mill but it's for
the "good of the citizens". 

======================================================

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:25:24 -0400

With all the money Rudy is making off of being "super Mayor" I thing Bloomberg
will be working for him soon..saying

"The Consensus Plan is the only LIE-ABLE solution to Public Safety"

 
Yahoo! Groups Links