Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 'Smart Gun' - Using VeriChip RFID Technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:40:40 -0400

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040413/135113_1.htmlVeriChip Corporation Enters
into a Memorandum of Understanding for Development of a Firearm's User
Authorization System - 'Smart Gun' - Using VeriChip RFID Technology

Tuesday April 13, 8:00 am ET

PALM BEACH, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 13, 2004--Applied Digital
Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSXD - News), an advanced technology
development company, announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary,
VeriChip Corporation, has entered into a memorandum of understanding
("MOU") with FN Manufacturing a leading gun manufacturer to develop a
first in the world of firearms. The team's objective is an integrated
User Authorization System for firearms using VeriChip RFID technology.

Located in Columbia, South Carolina, this firearms manufacturer produces
small arms for military and police forces, as well as the commercial
market. The company is engaged in R&D efforts to study and develop
various technologies (commonly referred to and understood in industry
and the private sector as "smart gun") that could limit the use of a gun
to one or more authorized or recognized users.

The purpose of the MOU is for VeriChip and FN Manufacturing to evaluate
the feasibility of developing a long term, strategic relationship to
design, manufacture and sell a "smart gun" incorporating VeriChip's RFID
technology. The team will investigate a variety of RFID tags including
Implant technology.

Keith Bolton Ph.D., President of VeriChip Corporation, commented "The
cooperative effort envisioned between our organizations is to apply
VeriChip technology and capabilities in concert with the developments of
our partner to ultimately realize a production worthy solution to the
issue of "smart gun" feasibility. Our combined resources provide one of
the most feasible approaches to this challenge given the current
knowledge base, legislative restrictions/requirements, technological
hurdles and market preferences."

About VeriChip(TM)

VeriChip is a miniaturized, radio frequency identification (RFID) device
that can be used in a variety of security, financial, emergency
identification and other applications. About the size of a grain of
rice, each VeriChip product contains a unique verification number and
will be available in several formats, some of which will be insertable
under the skin. The verification number is captured by briefly passing a
proprietary scanner over the VeriChip. A small amount of radio frequency
energy passes from the scanner energizing the dormant VeriChip, which
then emits a radio frequency signal transmitting the verification
number. In October 2002, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled
that VeriChip was not a regulated device with regard to its security,
financial, personal identification/safety applications but that
VeriChip's healthcare information applications are regulated by the FDA.
VeriChip Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Applied Digital
Solutions. For more information about VeriChip, visit www.adsx.com.

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:55:43 -0700

Does this mean the bad guys could stop the cops from firing back by
transmitting a radio signal that confuses or blocks the RFID device ?

Nahhh..... nobody would be stupid enough to not think of that.

====================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
>  http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040413/135113_1.htmlVeriChip Corporation
> Enters into a Memorandum of Understanding for Development of a
> Firearm's User Authorization System - 'Smart Gun' - Using VeriChip
> RFID Technology
> 
> Located in Columbia, South Carolina, this firearms manufacturer
> produces small arms for military and police forces, as well as the
> commercial market. The company is engaged in R&D efforts to study and
> develop various technologies (commonly referred to and understood in
> industry and the private sector as "smart gun") that could limit the
> use of a gun to one or more authorized or recognized users.
> 
> The purpose of the MOU is for VeriChip and FN Manufacturing to
> evaluate the feasibility of developing a long term, strategic
> relationship to design, manufacture and sell a "smart gun"
> incorporating VeriChip's RFID technology. The team will investigate a
> variety of RFID tags including Implant technology.
> 
> VeriChip technology and capabilities in concert with the developments
> of our partner to ultimately realize a production worthy solution to
> the issue of "smart gun" feasibility. Our combined resources provide
> one of the most feasible approaches to this challenge given the
> current knowledge base, legislative restrictions/requirements,
> technological hurdles and market preferences."
> 
> About VeriChip(TM)
> 
> VeriChip is a miniaturized, radio frequency identification (RFID)
> device that can be used in a variety of security, financial, emergency
> under the skin. The verification number is captured by briefly passing
> a proprietary scanner over the VeriChip. A small amount of radio
> frequency energy passes from the scanner energizing the dormant
> VeriChip, which then emits a radio frequency signal transmitting the
> verification number. In October 2002, the US Food and Drug
> Administration (FDA) ruled that VeriChip was not a regulated device
> with regard to its security, financial, personal identification/safety
> applications but that VeriChip's healthcare information applications
> are regulated by the FDA. VeriChip Corporation is a wholly owned
> subsidiary of Applied Digital Solutions. For more information about
> VeriChip, visit www.adsx.com.
> 
> --
>     "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
>   Note The New address
> Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1
> 
>   "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
> Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2
> 
>   "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
>      The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
> Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG
> 
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
>    * To visit your group on the web, go to:
>      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/
> 
>    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>      [email-masked]
> 
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>      Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:04:26 -0400

Yep, you got it!

 
Yahoo! Groups Links