Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush calls for renewal of Patriot Act, wireless provisions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:01:21 -0400

Bush calls for renewal of Patriot Act, wireless provisions
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
April 19 13:27:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—President George W. Bush Saturday told the American people
that the Patriot Act needs to be renewed. He will travel this week to
Hershey, Pa., and Buffalo, N.Y., to deliver the same message.
Two provisions of the Patriot Act relate directly to wireless.

“To abandon the Patriot Act would deprive law enforcement and
intelligence officers of needed tools in the war on terror and
demonstrate willful blindness to a continuing threat,” said Bush in his
weekly radio address. “Every hour of the day, America depends

on the work of vigilant law enforcement and intelligence personnel.
These men and women have difficult and dangerous jobs—and they are
performing superbly. In their mission of security, they are joined by
members of the armed forces, who are taking the fight to our enemies
overseas. The American people are grateful to all who defend us, and we
will continue to give them every tool and resource they need to keep
America safe.”

The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools
Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 was passed in
the wake of Sept. 11. The Patriot Act is set to sunset next year and
civil-rights advocates have called for wholesale change to it. Many
Democrats applauded the president when during his State of the Union
speech he said it was sunsetting. Bush turned to his left, where the
applause was coming from, and sternly rebuked them saying the Patriot
Act was necessary for homeland security.

“Inside the United States, where the war began, we must continue to give
our homeland security and law enforcement personnel every tool they need
to defend us. And one of those essential tools is the Patriot Act, which
allows federal law enforcement to better share information, to track
terrorists, to disrupt their cells, and to seize their assets,” said
Bush in January. “Key provisions of the Patriot Act are set to expire
next year. The terrorist threat will not expire on that schedule. Our
law enforcement needs this vital legislation to protect our citizens.
You need to renew the Patriot Act.”

The Patriot Act allows for roving wiretaps—taps on a person, not a phone
number, so regardless of what device a person may be using or where in
the United States he may be using it, the wiretap subpoena is effective.

The second wireless provision allows law enforcement to use its own
equipment to conduct court-authorized surveillance.
As the debate regarding the Patriot Act heats up, law enforcement is
also asking the Federal Communications Commission to expand the scope of
the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act of 1994 to include
information services.
While many of the switches used by mobile-phone carriers have been
upgraded to comply with CALEA, there is ongoing disagreement about the
use of packet-mode communications such as text messaging. RCR Wireless
News was the sole media representative at a meeting more than a year ago
that highlighted the differences between the law-enforcement community
and the telecommunications industry regarding the implementation of
CALEA in packet-mode networks.
The disagreements have only increased and become more intense as use of
voice over Internet Protocol has increased.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17763

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/