Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell goes with 1.9 GHz as replacement spectrum for Nextel

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:51:53 -0400

Powell goes with 1.9 GHz as replacement spectrum for Nextel
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
June 24 13:17:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—FCC Chairman Michael Powell has sided with Nextel
Communications Inc. and has proposed to his colleagues that replacement
spectrum for solving the 800 MHz band public-safety interference problem
come from the 1.9 GHz band, sources confirmed Thursday.

While it remains unclear whether Powell has officially voted on an
item—a move that would start an internal clock to
finish deliberations—that may not be important because several people
believe the Federal Communications Commission
wants to issue a consensus document rather than a split decision. By
making public that the decision is 1.9 GHz, 1.9 GHz
most likely will be the final decision, although at least two
commissioners (in addition to Powell) have not officially voted.
Once the item is officially adopted, the FCC’s Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau will be asked to draft a final version, which
must also be signed off on before being released to the public, so a
final decision most likely will not be made until at least mid-summer.

Meanwhile, a new group calling itself the First Responders Coalition,
held a telephone press conference Thursday morning to say the 1.9 GHz
band should be auctioned and the proceeds dedicated to public-safety
communications.
The group would not detail how it is funded, and many of its arguments
are reminiscent of arguments made against the

Consensus Plan.

Also, the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association Wednesday
night said it has been again meeting with FCC officials to argue against
the Consensus Plan.

The Consensus Plan would shuffle the 800 MHz band to eliminate the
current situation where public safety, private wireless, Nextel, other
SMRs and cellular carriers are intermingled. In exchange for giving up
spectrum in the 700 MHz, 800 MHz and 900 MHz bands and for paying to
retune public safety and private wireless, Nextel has asked for 10
megahertz in the 1.9 GHz band. Nextel; the Industrial Telecommunications
Association, which represents private-wireless interests; and some
public-safety advocacy groups support the Consensus Plan. Other
public-safety advocacy groups have expressed concern about the Consensus
Plan.

The FCC staff sent a proposal to the commissioners in March, and since
then the wireless industry has been lobbying its various points of view.
The FCC met in April, May and June without discussing the issue.

Verizon Wireless and CTIA support a plan that would give Nextel
replacement spectrum in the 2.1 GHz band, require Nextel to set up a
third-party administrator for the reimbursement and allow Nextel to
receive its 2.1 GHz spectrum only as retuning occurs instead of all at
once.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=620

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/