Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Gears Up For January PCS Auction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:05:28 -0400

FCC Gears Up For January PCS Auction
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JUNE 17, 2004

WASHINGTON -- The wheels are in motion at the FCC to set up a January
auction of 234 PCS licenses that probably will be met eagerly by
carriers.

A settlement in the long battle with NextWave Telecom over 155 of the
licenses concluded earlier this month, giving the commission free title
to that spectrum in 1.9 GHz in several major markets including Los
Angeles, San Diego, Seattle and Denver. The commission is methodically
moving to make that spectrum, along with additional 1.9 GHz spectrum it
has accrued, available. Besides the NextWave spectrum, 79 licenses for
smaller markets have come back to the FCC through defaults and
cancellations of bids that also will form a significant chunk of
capacity that will be sold, FCC officials say.

The process of setting up the auction usually takes about six months
from the time the commission says the capacity is ready for sale, one
FCC official says. All FCC commissioners have been notified that the
wireless bureau intends to auction the spectrum and the process should
culminate in January, the official says.

However, the auction, according to some carrier officials, might be
hobbled by the FCC's use of "designated entity" status for smaller
businesses that participate in the auction. The "DE" designation could
possibly shut some of the larger carriers out in favor of letting small
businesses in, they say.

Although carriers aren't saying much about their interest in the
spectrum for fear
of telegraphing their intentions to bid, most eagerly await the chance
to
participate. Verizon Wireless, for example, bought NextWave capacity in
the past,
only to have it taken back. The company has long maintained it's always
interested in more spectrum capacity

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=06/17/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/