Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police, Firefighters to get new radio system

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:55:36 -0400

Police, Firefighters to get new radio system
By Glenn Thrush
Staff Writer

May 30, 2004, 6:29 PM EDT

The city is close to completing installation of a new radio transmission
system that will allow police and firefighters in subways to better
communicate with commanders on the surface, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said
Sunday.

The $90-million transmitter system, which has been in development for
several years, will be ready by the end of the summer, Bloomberg
predicted.

The city has been sharply criticized by families of firefighters killed
on Sept. 11, 2001, for failing to fix the Fire Department's balky and
inefficient radio system. Fire, police and Metropolitan Transportation
Authority officials have been working to develop the new network since
the late 1990s.

"Fire officers and police officers underground in the subway system will
be able for the first time to communicate ... so they can
coordinate and deploy resources," Bloomberg said Sunday at a Queens news
conference. "We're working on it as hard as we can. You want to make
sure it works."

The lack of reliable repeaters, devices that amplify and transmit weak
radio signals from front-line responders, is believed to have hampered
efforts to evacuate firefighters from the collapsing World Trade Center.

The city has also begun to test portable repeaters at some incidents and
is ordering new radios with more accessible emergency buttons to improve
the overall quality of emergency communications, city officials said.
Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/nyc-radio0531,0,2300733.story?coll=ny-nynews-headlines

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/