Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Interference, Regulation and You

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:38:34 -0400

Interference, Regulation and You

Interference is a real concern for many broadband wireless 
carriers. It is an issue that promises to grow in importance — 
especially as more radios and devices seek air space in the 
unlicensed bands. 

What to do about interference — that’s a subject of debate. 

You can close your eyes and hope the Federal Government 
can help. On the licensed spectrum side of things, the Federal 
Communications Commission (FCC) has a government mandate 
to clear the air when disputes arise. For those using unlicensed 
spectrum, no such regulatory protections are afforded.

Some Solutions

One of the FCC efforts to help mitigate interference is called 
“interference temperature.” This concept presupposes that 
radios themselves will determine the level of interference in a 
given environment, and adjust accordingly. However, one 
shouldn’t assume that the interference temperature concept is 
helpful solely to operators in the unlicensed bands. 

Another way to deal with interference is through private 
cooperation. California’s NextWeb offers perhaps the best 
example. NextWeb and 10 or so other wireless operators in 
and around the San Francisco Bay Area have created a 
cooperative group called Broadband Access Network Coordination 
(BANC http://www.wbanc.com/). BANC functions as a neutral 
forum in which engineers coordinate spectrum management. 
It’s a better solution than anything to date coming out of Washington, 
especially related to the use of unlicensed frequencies. 

Private interests operating collectively and cooperatively represent 
the only course of action open to unlicensed operators. After all, 
if you’re an unlicensed wireless operator, you have no voice in 
Washington; no full-time (or even part-time) active lobbyist agitating 
on your behalf. At best, there’s a task force or two before the FCC, 
but that’s it.

WiMAX’s Efforts

Another private consortium is the WiMAX Forum for IEEE 802.16-
based equipment. WiMAX is a cooperative effort by member companies 
to certify the interoperability of wireless MAN equipment. It aims to 
fulfill the metro area network gap that is not being addressed by
cellular 
and Wi-Fi technologies.

WiMAX-certified equipment is frankly the surest way to support the 
business case of operators using fixed wireless in the licensed bands. 
However, here too, there is some debate.
http://www.shorecliffcommunications.com/magazine/volume.asp?Vol=D&story==401

Secondary Markets

In truth, the Feds did create a framework whereby unlicensed operators 
can gain relief from the plague of interference. It’s called the
secondary 
markets for licensed bands. 

Readers can find more details about secondary markets in the executive 
briefing on page 14 with Dean Johnson, president and CEO of First Avenue 
Networks. Instead of offering an unwieldy (and probably impractical) 
method of monitoring wireless frequencies with a network of sensors, 
the Feds made it easier and less costly to actually use the plethora of 
frequencies not in use. It’s called a marketplace. That’s for you, if
you’re 
an unlicensed operator.
http://www.shorecliffcommunications.com/magazine/volume.asp?Vol=D&story==403

Timothy M. Downs, Editor
t.downs @ scievents.com

Broadband Wireless Business Magazine
Vol. 5, No. 2 
March/April 2004 
http://www.shorecliffcommunications.com/magazine/volume.asp?Vol=D&story==399

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/