Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Expect 802.11 to Double Speed with MIMO Technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:33:49 -0400

Expect 802.11 to Double Speed with MIMO Technology

Wireless LAN products with MIMO (multiple in, multiple out) technology
are currently being shipped
by vendors such as SOHOware and Planex. Other companies like Askey and
Taiyo Yuden have this
same technology in the works. These MIMO products are expected to
deliver speeds twice as fast as
the current 802.11 products, and enable multiple data streams on a
single radio channel. Wireless
networks are expected to have speeds on par with those of the Ethernet
and be used for applications
such as voice-over-IP and streaming multimedia.

=================================================================================

Pre-Standard 802.11n Coming Soon

Mon Jun 14, 4:00 PM ET

Mobile Pipeline News

The first WLAN products using next-generation antenna technology have
started shipping and pre-standard 802.11n wireless LAN products will
ship later this year, a developer of wireless chipsets and software said
Monday.

Airgo Networks, which develops WLAN chipsets and software, said that
four of its OEM customers are developing WLAN products that use its True
MIMO multiple in, multiple out (MIMO) antenna technology. Those vendors
are SOHOware, Planex, Askey and Taiyo Yuden.

Of those vendors, SOHOware and Planex have just started shipping
products with MIMO technology. MIMO will be an intrinsic part of the
802.11n, which is not expected to be ratified by the IEEE until at least
late 2005. That standard will deliver Ethernet-like speeds over wireless
networks.

Airgo said its OEM customers will start shipping the first pre-standard
802.11n products later this year.

The 802.11n standard will provide theoretical data speeds equivalent to
wired Ethernet networks, which is about twice the speed of the current
generation of 802.11g products. MIMO enables multiple data streams on a
single radio channel, which results both in faster throughput and longer
range.

The forthcoming standard is expected to encourage use of wireless LANs
for applications such as voice-over-IP and streaming multimedia.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1293&e=10&u=/cmp/20040615/tc_cmp/21800197&sid=95573432

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/