Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Doles Out Spectrum To Iridium

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:07:45 -0400

FCC Doles Out Spectrum To Iridium
BY SUSAN RUSH
JUNE 11, 2004

The FCC has granted 3.1 MHz of additional spectrum to Iridium Satellite.
The satellite voice and data service provider says the bump up in
spectrum was needed to meet increasing customer demand.

Before the FCC officially granted Iridium the right to operate in the
spectrum to meet its day-to-day business needs, the commission had said
the company could use the segment of the band on an "emergency basis."

"The FCC's willingness to expand the spectrum available to Iridium
recognizes that our rapid and sustained growth has clearly outgrown our
original spectrum allocation," Iridium CEO Carmen Lloyd said in a
statement.

Iridium believes the future looks bright for its satellite phone service
and is hopeful that the FCC will rule favorably on a request for an
additional 2.25 MHz of spectrum. The commission has issued a further
notice of proposed rulemaking to consider the matter.

In March, Iridium launched its Family First plan, a discount program
designed for its Crew Calling service subscribers. The Crew Calling
service enables ship or boat crew members to make calls while out at
sea. Family First offers a 35 percent discount for satellite phone calls
made on the first day of the month or on one of 10 designated 2004
holidays.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=06/11/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/