Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Real-time traffic monitoring in Vienna

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:36:31 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Anthony Townsend <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Real-time traffic monitoring in Vienna

the "real-time" city seems to have arrived

i proposed a grassroots version of this idea using citizen-volunteers 
and GPS-enabled cell phones at the recent STELLA sustainable 
transportation meeting in Budapest... see 
http://urban.blogs.com/research/2004/06/stella_budapest.html for my 
presentation.

the idea would be that people who were willing to let themselves be 
used as "probes" would download special  software (to be developed) 
that would transmit their position to the central server. this would be 
anonymized using a one-way has algorithm and then the results would be 
plotted as in the Vienna example.

anyone want to help build it?

----

http://www.smartmobs.com/archives/003312.html

The city of Wien in Austria equipped most of its 500 taxis with GPS to 
get a realtime traffic jam status that people can check online. A 
color-coded map 
[http://www.wien.gv.at/verkehr/vema/verkehrslage/wienplan/index.htm]  
tells the realtime story.
http://www.wien.gv.at/verkehr/vema/verkehrslage/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/