Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless / Cellular Short courses with CE at University of Pretoria

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:55:21 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Magdaleen Snyman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wireless / Cellular Short courses with CE at University of
         Pretoria

There are three courses on Wireless and Cellular Planning and
Optimisation to forward to:

Course                                   Dates           Cost    Presenter
Radio Network Planning                   6-9 July 2004   R4600   Magdaleen Snyman
3rd Generation Cellular Packet Data
Services based on GSM: EDGE              12-13 July 2004 R3400   Prof. JC Olivier
Microwave Link Planning                  24-25 January   R2050   Sunil Maharaj
                                         2005

For registration and enquiries, please contact:

Lani Booyens, CE at UP, Private Bag X41, Hatfield 0028

Tel: (012) 420-5051,Fax: (012) 362 5285E-mail: [email-masked]

                                   OR

Auriel Bayard, CE at UP, Private Bag X41, Hatfield 0028

Tel: (012) 420-4134,Fax: (012) 362 5285E-mail: [email-masked]

Here are some more details on the courses:

Radio Network Optimisation

  1. Cell Planning Overview.
  2. GSM radio part overview (including features)
  3. Optimisation – Improving network quality
       a. Defining Network Quality
       b. Overview of information available:

i.Counters/Statistics
ii.Mobile Measurement Data

iii.Drive Tests

iv.Traces

       c. The optimisation Cycle

i.The importance of link balance

ii.Choosing Neighbour lists

iii.Frequency Planning: principles and methods

  4. Trouble-shooting & Diagnostics.

i.Missing Neighbours &/ Measurement lists

ii.Swapped Sectors

iii.Congestion

iv.Set-up Failures

v.Handover failures

vi.Ping- pong handovers

vii.Interference

Practicum: Using Mobile Measurement Reports to improve network quality.

Magdaleen Snyman (M. Eng (Cum Laude) Pretoria 1995) is a senior lecturer
at the University of Pretoria. She has 8 years of experience in Radio
System Planning and Optimisation. At the CSIR (1995-1997) she was
involved in the development of a Radio Planning tool GisRap, the
re-planning of the SAPS’ network and antenna measurements. At MTN
(1997-2002) she managed the radio network optimisation functions and was
responsible for frequency planning and BSC-dimensioning. She presented 8
papers and two workshops on the topics of radio network optimisation;
frequency planning and self-configuring networks internationally.

3rd Generation Cellular Packet Data Services based on GSM: EDGE

You will understand and experiment using silmulator software on OCTAVE
(www.octave.org), key issues that will come into play when your GSM
network is upgraded to 3G EDGE:

1) Incremental reduncy in EDGE

2) Link adaptation in EDGE

3) 8PSK modulation is used in EDGE, you will understand the implecations
for channel equalisation

4) Use of a minimum phase prefilter - the key to equalising 8PSK in EDGE

5) You will understand the issues relating to transmission spectral
mask, adjacent channel interference and co-channel interference
mitigation

Course outline:

1. Introduction to the radio interface of EDGE.

2. The EDGE simulator in OCTAVE (similar to Matlab).

3. The minimum phase prefilter.

4. Low complexity 8PSK equalisation

5. Increamental redundancy using puncturing and retransmission

6. Adjacent channel and co-channel interference mitigation

Prof. J.C. Olivier was appointed as a Professor at the University of
Pretoria in June 2003. He was with Nikia Research Center in the United
States as a Principle Scientist in the Communications Laboratory since
1999 and with Bell Northern Research/ortel in Canada from 1995 to 1999.

Microwave Link Planning

Parabolic antenna characteristics

Passive repeaters

Diversity techniques in Microwave systems

Multi-link design and frequency planning.

Link planning & design.

ITU-R standards

Sunil Maharaj: Qualifications: BSc Eng, MSc Eng, MSc Operational
Telecomm (Merit), Dip. Proj Man. Experience: Worked as Microwave Design
Engineer. Responsible for design, development and implementation of
microwave sub-systems covering (1.5-18)GHz range. Ten years experience
in academia. Research interest is in Wireless communications employing
Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output (MIMO) Access Systems in next generation
networks.
   Magdaleen [email-masked]
LecturerTelecommunicationsUniversity of Pretoria+27 (0)12
420-42680834468014