Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FINAL AGENDA RELEASED FOR FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION AND DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY MEDIA FORUM, WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:34:50 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE NEWS MEDIA CONTACT
June 1, 2004 Meribeth McCarrick (202) 418-0654
[email-masked]

FINAL AGENDA RELEASED FOR FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION AND
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY MEDIA FORUM, WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2

Washington, D.C.  - The Federal Communications Commission and the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will co-sponsor a public forum on
Wednesday, June 2, to examine how the relationship between local media
and government can be strengthened to support local market operational
readiness to cope with terrorist attacks, natural disasters or other
similar occurrences.

The event will begin immediately following the meeting of the
Commission’s Media Security and Reliability Council (MSRC) which is
scheduled from 9:30 – 10:30 a.m., at the Federal Communications
Commission, in the Commission Meeting Room at 445 12th Street, S.W.,
Washington, D.C.  A final agenda for the media forum is attached.

The forum will address means of fostering coordination between local
government and media before an emergency occurs, media awareness of
service vulnerabilities, and plans for restoration of service to
community, including the special needs of disability communities.

Meeting Details:

The event is open to the public.  Seating will be made available on a
first come, first serve basis.  Real Audio and streaming video access to
the meeting will be available at http://www.fcc.gov/.

The meeting site is fully accessible to people using wheelchairs or
other mobility aids.  Meeting agendas will be provided in accessible
formats; sign language interpreters, open captioning, and assistive
listening devices will be provided on site.  Request other reasonable
accommodations for people with disabilities as early as possible; please
allow at least five days advance notice.  Include a description of the
accommodation you will need including as much detail as you can.  Also
include a way we can contact you if we need more information.  Last
minute requests will be accepted, but may be impossible to fill.  Send
an e-mail to: [email-masked] or call the Consumer & Governmental Affairs
Bureau at 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (tty).

-FCC-

Media Bureau contacts:   Barbara Kreisman (202) 418-1600
Susan Mort (202) 418-1043

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION AND
THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
MEDIA FORUM – WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2004
FINAL AGENDA

Opening Remarks:  FCC Chairman Michael Powell

Panel Sessions:

Panel I:  Case studies in emergency planning and coordination between
local media and government
Moderator:  Samuel Donaldson, ABC News

Panelists:
- Leon Harris, News Anchor, WJLA-TV
-  Susan Neely, Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, DHS
- David Barrett, CEO, Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc. and Media Security
and    Reliability Council Chair
- Topper Shutt, Chief Meteorologist, WUSA 9
- Steve Souder, Director, Montgomery County, Maryland,  911 Emergency
Communications Center

Panel II:  Building the lines of communication: fostering the local
government/media relationship
Moderator: Tom Fitzpatrick, Vice President, Giuliani Partners LLC

Panelists:
- Ann Arnold, Executive Director, Texas Association of Broadcasters
- Barbara Kreisman, Chief, Video Division, FCC and Designated Federal
Official, Media Security and Reliability Council
- Pat Roberts, President, Florida Association of Broadcasters, Inc.
- Brian J. Roehrkasse, Press Secretary, DHS

Panel III:  A checklist for preparedness: how media can best ensure they
are operationally ready when disaster strikes
- Moderator: Fred Young, Senior Vice President, News, Hearst-Argyle
Television, Inc.

Panelists:
- Ken Flechler, Vice President of Compliance and Safety, Comcast Corp.
- Glenn Reitmeier, Vice President, Technology, NBC Broadcast and
Network  Operations
- Richard Slenker, Executive Vice President, Technology and Operations,
The DIRECTV Group, Inc.

- FCC -

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/