Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pentagon asks for revocation of Iraqi cell-phone licenses

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:32:41 -0400

Pentagon asks for revocation of Iraqi cell-phone licenses
By Jeffrey Silva
June 23 13:50:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—The Pentagon has asked Coalition Provisional Authority head
L. Paul Bremer to revoke the three regional mobile-phone licenses in
Iraq, according to documents and e-mails obtained today by RCR Wireless
News.
The Department of Defense said action is necessary in light of an
investigation that found possible illegal activity and fraud in
connection with the three wireless operators and their alleged ties to a
former business associate of toppled Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

“Wholly aside from allegations of criminal wrongdoing, this memorandum
is to inform you that my investigation also uncovered a fraud on the
Ministry of Communications by Orascom, Atheer and AsiaCell,” said John
Shaw, DoD’s undersecretary for international technology security, in a
June 14 correspondence to Bremer.
Shaw said the matter has been referred to the FBI for further action.

It is unclear whether Bremer, attempting to engineer next week’s
handover of political sovereignty to a reconstituted Iraqi
government—will act on Shaw’s recommendation.

“To fail to act to revoke the licenses before June 30 will in effect
ratify the CPA role in the corruption of the process over the past year.
Prompt action to rescind the licenses, however, will send a clear
message to those who would use the transition to ensure the success of
similar nefarious schemes in other sectors,” said Shaw in a June 15
e-mail to Bremer.
A Bremer aide told Shaw the matter has been referred to the CPA general
counsel.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=606

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/