Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Kuwait Set For Third Network Competitor

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:21:12 -0400

Kuwait Set For Third Network Competitor
Jun 02, 2004

The two incumbent wireless carriers in Kuwait soon could see competition
from a third player, which would be 40-percent owned by the country's
pensioner institution, 40-percent owned by Kuwaiti citizens who manage
to buy company shares and 10-percent owned by a "strategic investor."
The idea still must be vetted by both Kuwait's parliament and by the
government.
A third carrier - which reportedly must focus on offering 3G services --
has been a long time coming. Mobile Telecom-munications Co. cut over in
1983, the same year the United States began offering cellular, and
National Mobile Telecom-munications Co. (Wataniya) started operations in
1999; both offer GSM voice and data services. The two serve nearly 2
million of Kuwait's 2.5 million inhabitants, two-thirds of whom are
non-Kuwaitis. Insiders say the country is ready to invest in a new,
high-tech carrier; the two incumbents are capitalized at more than $10
billion.

www.telecomweb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/