Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Joins WiMAX Forum as Principal Member

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:44:26 -0400

Motorola Joins WiMAX Forum™ as Principal Member

802.16 Products Scheduled for Availability in the first half of 2005

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., June 22, 2004 - Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT), a global
leader in wireless broadband access products,
announced today it has become the newest Principal Member of the WiMAX
Forum. As the newest member, Motorola brings
expertise in RF technology, mobility and mass-market consumer
electronics to WiMAX, which promotes and certifies compatibility
of wireless broadband products based on the IEEE 802.16 standards.

The announcement was made at SUPERCOMM 2004, (June 22-24. McCormick
Place, Chicago) where Motorola is showcasing its
wireless broadband solutions at Booth #13800.

With its Canopy™ wireless broadband product portfolio, Motorola has
quickly become a leading supplier in the license-exempt
segment, having deployed hundreds of wireless broadband scalable
networks in more than 85 countries. The Canopy product line is focused
on delivering wireless broadband at a low cost of ownership.

"This is an opportunity for Motorola to take a leadership role within
the WiMAX Forum by sharing its world-class wireless
expertise," said Padmasree Warrior, chief technology officer, Motorola.
"Motorola is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise
of wireless broadband and the ability to seamlessly move among
environments providing broadband coverage wherever needed.
We also have a tremendous amount of experience in building new
industries and bringing advanced products and solutions to our customers
on a timely basis."

"We are thrilled that Motorola is joining the WiMAX Forum," said WiMAX
Forum President Ron Resnick. "Motorola has always
been on the forefront of wireless communications and we look forward to
their support in our efforts to make wireless broadband
available anytime, anywhere."

Motorola wireless broadband products based on the 802.16 standard are
scheduled for availability in early 2005 and will initially
support the 3.5 GHz frequency bands worldwide.

"We are committed to making residential and personalized wireless
broadband service a profitable business for both existing operators and
new entrants," said Tony Kobrinetz, vice president and general manager
of the Motorola Canopy Wireless Broadband product group.
About WiMAX Forum™

The WiMAX Forum is an industry-led, non-profit corporation formed to
promote and certify the compatibility and interoperability
of broadband wireless products using the IEEE 802.16 and ETSI HiperMAN
wireless MAN specifications. The forum's goal is to
accelerate the introduction of these devices into the marketplace. WiMAX
Forum Certified™ products will be fully interoperable
and support Metropolitan Broadband Fixed and Portable Applications. For
more information about the WiMAX Forum and its
activities, please visit www.WiMAXForum.org.

About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in wireless, broadband and
automotive communications technologies that help
make life smarter, safer, simpler, synchronized and fun.  Sales in 2003
were US $27.1 billion.  Motorola creates innovative
technological solutions that benefit people at home, at work and on the
move.  The company also is a progressive corporate
citizen dedicated to operating ethically, protecting the environment and
supporting the communities in which it does business.
For more information: www.motorola.com.

# # #

Media Contacts:
Sue Moore
+1 (847) 576-5776
[email-masked]
Roderick Kelly
Kelly+LoDestro Global Relations
+1 (630) 761-0700 office
+1 (630) 650-6730 mobile
[email-masked]

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,4338_3710_23,00.html

More Info:

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,4342_3717_23,00.html