Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] U.S. airlines, airports battle over Wi-Fi spectrum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:43:12 EDT

Rick - as the drafter of the Petition, and counsel to United, I can tell you 
that you are exactly correct, there is a "fair use" middle ground that United, 
and other airlines, would like to reach.  However, it's not strictly a money 
issue for the airlines, but rather also issues of how a system is implemented 
(signal-wise), reliability, security, etc.  Please read the entire Petition 
for those details.

Alan

In a message dated 6/23/2004 1:40:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Marcel wrote:

>United, a division of UAL has installed its own Wi-Fi networks to
>support bag-scanning operations at numerous airports, including
>its Chicago hub. But Mader said the carrier will have to use the
>Massport network under the mandate imposed on all airport tenants.
>That's not as cost-effective as United installing and operating its
>own network, Mader said.
>
>Platt said the UWES provides for better management of the wireless
>spectrum at the airport and "ensures Wi-Fi runs smoothly for all users." 
Platt declined to provide pricing details.
I *think* United and the other tenants could make a fair-use argument 
similar to court decision that allows tenants to erect a satellite dish 
or TV antenna. This is a bad precedent that could get worse. Imagine the 
airport authority charging a cell phone tax for persons taking or 
placing on airport property. That's pretty much what this is.

Of course it does not suprise me that *some* folks in airport management 
think they own the sky!

-rick