Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush, Kerry Offer Ideas on Technology

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:22:42 -0400

Bush, Kerry Offer Ideas on Technology

Thu Jun 24, 9:37 PM ET  Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. - President Bush (news - web sites) and Democratic
rival John Kerry (news - web sites) offered ideas Thursday to push the
United States to the cutting edge on technology, with the hope of
securing crucial political support in Silicon Valley and other high-tech
regions.

Kerry, noting that the Internet was started with help from research in
his home state of Massachusetts, said the United States needs a
president who understands the needs of the high-tech industry.

"It's not a bubble; it is a breakthrough that will continue to lift our
economy and our lives," the senator told an audience in the heart of
Silicon Valley.

The Democratic challenger complained that the United States is losing
its technological edge because of "neglect and hostility" under Bush's
leadership, with the disappearance of 800,000 high-tech jobs and the
nation's drop from 4th to 10th in the percentage of people using
broadband. He said countries such as South Korea (news - web sites) and
Japan are now deploying networks that are 20-50 times faster than what
is available in the United States.

Bush stressed the importance of technology in improving the economy and
the lives of Americans in a speech at the Commerce Department (news -
web sites) where he repeated his goal of broadband access everywhere in
the United States by 2007.

"Broadband, or what they call high-speed Internet, is critical in making
our high-speed economy even more productive," said the president before
observing a demonstration in which Dr. Craig Sable, a pediatric
cardiologist, showed Bush the image of a child's heart while the patient
was at Children's National Medical Center a few miles away in
Washington, D.C.

The high-tech industry is a target of Republicans and Democrats. Leaders
of the industry tend to be socially progressive, especially in Silicon
Valley, but have a pro-business philosophy aligned more with
Republicans. The companies' executives and their employees have
contributed to both campaigns, and their votes could make a difference
in swing states such as Washington.

Kerry tried to make an appeal to the industry's fiscal concerns, vowing
to cut taxes for capital and research investments and increase federal
spending on scientific and technological research. He said his plan
could create more than 1.2 million jobs and be paid with $30 billion
raised by speeding the transition to digital television and auctioning
off the space created on broadcast airwaves.

He also got a boost from corporate icon Lee Iacocca, the former Chrsyler
Corp. chairman who gained a reputation as a champion of innovation
within the automotive industry. Iacocca announced his endorsement at
Kerry's speech, and told the crowd he was switching alliances after
cutting campaign ads for Bush in 2000.

"We forgive you!" shouted a Kerry supporter.

Iacocca said he has concluded that Kerry would create jobs and "be a
great commander in chief."

"The bottom line is simple, we need a new CEO and president," Iacocca
said.

Bush spokesman Steve Schmidt said the president has been endorsed by
heavy-hitters in the tech industry, including the heads of Dell, eBay,
Yahoo! and Cisco Systems.

The high-tech industry overall has historically divided its political
giving almost evenly between Democrats and Republicans, a trend that has
held even as the GOP has controlled Congress and the White House.

The industry association TechNet has Republican and Democratic branches
and holds fund-raisers for candidates on both sides of the aisle.
Microsoft employees combined are among both Kerry's and Bush's top
donors, though founder Bill Gates (news - web sites) gave $2,000 to Bush
only.

Bush and Kerry each have received more than $1 million from people who
work in the computerInternet industry, according to an analysis by the
nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

Both candidates count high-tech CEOs among their volunteer fund-raisers.
Microsoft chief financial officer John Connors and company attorney John
Kelly each have raised at least $100,000 for Bush; CEOs Wade Randlett of
Dashboard Technology and Michele Kraus of Digital Campaigns each
collected at least $100,000 for Kerry.

The Democrat promised to use tax incentives and other economic steps to
speed up the delivery of broadband service. He also promised to ensure
service for first responders by the end of 2006.

___
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&ncid=528&e=3&u=/ap/20040625/ap_on_el_pr/candidates_high_tech

On the Net:

Kerry campaign: http://www.johnkerry.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/