Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon criticizes Nextel’s Consensus Plan enhancements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:20:57 -0400

Verizon criticizes Nextel’s Consensus Plan enhancements
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
June 17 13:40:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—Verizon Wireless said late Wednesday that changes to the
Consensus Plan proposed by Nextel Communications Inc.

June 2 would only recreate the interference problem in the 800 MHz band
that it purports to solve.

“The additional spectrum does not solve the public-safety interference
problem. Instead, it recreates the very interference
conundrum this proceeding is attempting to resolve. Second, Nextel’s
claim that this new spectrum promotes public-safety
interoperability solutions is not credible. Interoperability requires
consistent spectrum and funding for systems, equipment and
software. Nextel’s new plan offers neither. Third, Nextel conceded that
the proposal would increase retuning costs. However, no new funding
would be provided,” said R. Michael Senkowski, outside counsel for
Verizon Wireless.

On June 2, Nextel offered 2 additional megahertz of spectrum in the 800
MHz band. This spectrum and the restricted use of 1
megahertz brings Nextel’s total financial commitment to $5.155 billion,
according to Nextel.

“Verizon Wireless’ credibility in this is ludicrous. We are the only
company that has worked with public safety to solve the problem, and to
say we are recreating the problem is ridiculous,” said Leigh Horner,
Nextel spokeswoman. “To suggest this isn’t good with public safety is
malarkey.”
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18528
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/