Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IACP INFO Biweekly E-mail Newsletter #108 June 2, 2004

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:59:54 -0400

[International Association of Chiefs of Police]

[IACP][global leadership in policing]

IACP Home
About IACP
Membership
International                                                                       IACP INFO
Conferences                                                                BIWEEKLY E-MAIL NEWSLETTER
Leadership                                                                      #108 June 2, 2004
Calendar
Training                                                 Enjoy this edition of IACP Info, where you'll get vital
Links                                                    information on the latest developments of programs offered by
Jobs                                                     the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
Research
Center                                                   IACP MERCHANDISE
Foundation                                                       This spacious gym bag as room for everything, with
Resolutions                                                      lots of pockets to organize. Lightweight yet durable,
Publications                                                     it also features the IACP logo in a subtle medallion
Awards /                                                         block on the front pocket. For only $35, this bag will
Campaigns                                                        last longer than your spring resolution! For details,
Legislative                                               [Image]click: IACP Gym Bag
Activities                                                       Visit http:\\www.theiacpstore.org for this and other
Professional                                                     IACP logo items.
Assistance                                                       Or contact Toni, E Group Sales,
Divisions /                                                      [email-masked] (800) 859-3958 x117
Sections /
Committees
                                                         VOLUNTEERS IN POLICE SERVICE (VIPS)
                                                         Outstanding Achievement in Law Enforcement Volunteer Programs
                                                         Award
                                                         Applications due June 15, 2004.
                                                         The IACP and Science Applications International Corporation
                                                         (SAIC) will recognize excellence in leadership through the
                                                         implementation of an effective, high quality volunteer program
                                                         that integrates volunteers into overall organizational
                                                         operations and administration. The IACP Police Administration
                                                         Committee will select up to three winners. The award
                                                         presentation will be made at the Annual IACP Conference.
                                                         Click here for additional Award information or
                                                         Contact Vincent Talucci, [email-masked] or (800) THE-IACP
                                                         x804.

                                                         Educational Videos Available
                                                        * Introducing Volunteer Activities to Law Enforcement (12
                                                         minutes)
                                                         This video is designed to introduce the role of volunteers to
                                                         law enforcement personnel. It emphasizes the role volunteers
                                                         serve, which is to supplement, augment, and complement existing
                                                         sworn and civilian staff.
                                                        * Introducing Law Enforcement Volunteerism to the Community (13
                                                         minutes)
                                                         This video introduces the breadth and scope of volunteer
                                                         efforts in law enforcement agencies and the communities that
                                                         they serve.

                                                         To access either video, click here to view or
                                                         Contact Alissa Huntoon, [email-masked] or (800) THE-IACP
                                                         x812

                                                         Model Policy on Volunteers
                                                         In collaboration with the VIPS program, the National Law
                                                         Enforcement Policy Center has released a model policy on
                                                         volunteers. The model policy provides guidance to law
                                                         enforcement agencies on the administration and management of
                                                         volunteer programs.
                                                         Click here to view model policy in PDF format.
                                                         The VIPS Resources Center has more information about these and
                                                         other resources: http://www.policevolunteers.org/resources/

                                                         MEMBERSHIP
                                                         President's Membership Drive
                                                         Deadline: August 15, 2004.
                                                                 Make A Difference - and get you own IACP portable
                                                                 toolkit! Sponsor members during the 2004 President's
                                                                 Membership Drive. Qualified members who sponsor new
                                                                 IACP members during the drive will qualify to win
                                                          [Image]several prizes. The Grand Prize Winner sponsoring the
                                                                 most new members will win a cash prize of $500. For
                                                                 more information visit: President's Membership Drive
                                                                 or contact Christian Faulkner, [email-masked] at
                                                                 (800) THE-IACP x307.

                                                         EDUCATION
                                                         Leading from the Front: Weapons of Mass Destruction Awareness
                                                         for the Law Enforcement Executive
                                                         This two-day, tuition-free course is open to registrants from
                                                         agencies located within 250 miles from the training site. July
                                                         courses will be held in:

                                                         * Boston/Quincy, MA         July 13-14,
                                                                                     2004

                                                         * St. Paul/Bloomington, MN  July 20 -
                                                                                     21, 2004

                                                         * Lawrence, KS              July 27 -
                                                                                     28, 2004

                                                         Chiefs of police, public safety directors, and/or executive
                                                         level law enforcement personnel in command staff positions, or
                                                         who may be called upon to be incident commanders during a
                                                         Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) incident or in planning a
                                                         response to a WMD incident are invited to attend.
                                                         Click here for more information or
                                                         Contact Irene Romashkan, [email-masked] at (800) THE-IACP
                                                         x810

                                                         IACP Training Programs
                                                         Get a 10% discount on tuition when you prepay for an
                                                         IACP-sponsored training program 45 days (or more) in advance!
                                                         (starting dates are listed; some courses are for multiple
                                                         days).

                                                             DATE                  EVENT                   LOCATION
                                                          08/02/2004 Advanced Supervision Skills       Silver City, NM

                                                          08/02/2004 Effective Media Practices for the Alexandria, VA
                                                                     Law Enforcement

                                                          08/02/2004 SWAT II: Advanced Tactical and    Knoxville, TN
                                                                     Hostage Rescue Operations

                                                          08/02/2004 Value-Centered Leadership: A      Aurora, CO
                                                                     Workshop on Ethics

                                                          08/02/2004 Police Psychology Course          Buffalo Grove,
                                                                                                       IL

                                                          08/02/2004 Tactics,Techniques, Procedures of Homewood, IL
                                                                     Terrorists

                                                          08/05/2004 Managing the New Breed:           Allison Park, PA
                                                                     Generation X in Law Enforcement
                                                          08/09/2004 Managing Criminal Investigations  Minneapolis, MN
                                                          08/09/2004 Crisis Negotiations               Tucson, AZ

                                                          08/09/2004 Less-Lethal Force Options:        Morristown, NJ
                                                                     Concepts and Considerations

                                                          08/09/2004 Contemporary Patrol               Grayslake, IL
                                                                     Administration

                                                          08/09/2004 Multi-Agency Incident Management  Madison, WI
                                                                     for Law Enforcement

                                                         Click here to view more IACP training programs.
                                                         Click here for a printable version organized by month.

                                                         CONFERENCE
                                                                  Registration is now OPEN for the 111th Annual IACP
                                                                  Conference. It will be in Los Angeles, CA at the Los
                                                                  Angeles Convention Center on November 13-17, 2004.
                                                          [Image] Reserve your room(s) now for the best seats in the
                                                                  house for this exceptional annual event. Click here
                                                                  to go the conference site. Then click on "Attendees"
                                                                  in the upper left navigation bar and select "Attendee
                                                                  Registration" and "Hotels" on the left bar.

                                                         Annual Banquet
                                                         Tickets just released for the IACP Annual Banquet at the Westin
                                                         Bonaventure Hotel. Join us Wednesday, November 17, 6:00 p.m. -
                                                         11:00 p.m. for this black-tie-optional event (business suits
                                                         are appropriate) featuring the formal swearing-in ceremony of
                                                         the president and board of officers. Live entertainment follows
                                                         the meal and the official program. Tickets ($45) are available
                                                         and are limited. Contact Juanita Ward, [email-masked] or
                                                         (800) THE-IACP x380.
                                                         For information, select "Annual Banquet" link on left at
                                                         http://iacp.expoexchange.com/.

                                                         LEGISLATIVE
                                                         IACP Capitol Report, Vol. 3 No. 10 (5/21)
                                                         Inside This Issue:
                                                        * DoJ / FBI / DHS / IACP Endorse National Criminal Intelligence
                                                         Sharing Plan
                                                        * Around the States: 2004 Legislative Sessions
                                                        * Committee Approves Bill to Outlaw Video Voyeurism
                                                        * Judiciary Committee Approves Bill to Make Terrorism Hoaxes
                                                         Illegal
                                                        * House Committee Adopts Tougher Penalties for Identity Theft
                                                        * Senate Committee Begins Consideration of Anti-Gang Bill

                                                         Click here to download IACP Capitol Report, Vol. 3 No. 10
                                                         (5/21) in PDF
                                                         Contact Jennifer Boyter, [email-masked], or (800) THE-IACP
                                                         x226.

                                                         If you would like to have the IACP Capitol Report emailed you
                                                         as soon as it published, send an email to
                                                         [email-masked]. Your email address will
                                                         automatically be added to the subscriber list.

                                                         IACP DIVISIONS
                                                         International Policing Division
                                                         Seeking Candidates for Vice Chair. As a member of the Board of
                                                         Officers for the International Policing Division, the Vice
                                                         Chair performs the duties of the International Vice President
                                                         and General Chair of the International Policing Division, in
                                                         the absence of the International Vice President. The Division
                                                         Vice Chair will ascend to the position of International Vice
                                                         President upon the conclusion of the incumbent's term. Please
                                                         submit candidates' Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Resumes through
                                                         the appropriate member of the International Policing Division
                                                         Steering Committee by June 15, 2004. The selection will be made
                                                         at the Annual IACP Conference.
                                                         Click here for more information or Contact Birgit Maier,
                                                         [email-masked] or (800) THE-IACP x339.

                                                         JOBS
                                                         Featured listings on the jobs page on the Police Chief Magazine
                                                         online:
                                                        * Police Chief - City of Newport News, VA
                                                        * Police Chief - City of Alcoa, TN - Deadline: June 11, 2004
                                                        * Police Chief - City of Lewiston, ID - Deadline: June 4, 2004
                                                        * Police Chief - City of Peoria, IL - Deadline: June 15, 2004
                                                        * Police Chief - Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX

                                                         Click here for to visit Police Chief Magazine Jobs

                                                         Current listings on the jobs page of the IACP website:
                                                         Recent job postings include the following-and check the website
                                                         for more positions:

                                                          Date                  Course Title             Location
                                                          Police Chief          Conyers, GA              08/31/2004
                                                          Chief of Police       Delaware, OH             07/09/2004
                                                          Chief of Police       Town of Kingston, MA     07/30/2004
                                                          Chief of Police       Rocky Mount, NC          07/15/2004
                                                          Chief of Police       Gillette, WY             06/30/2004
                                                          Director of Calibre
                                                          Press                 Carrollton, TX           06/30/2004
                                                          Director of Public
                                                          Safety                Selinsgrove, PA          06/18/2004
                                                          Police Chief          City of Buena Park, CA   06/04/2004

                                                          Police Chief          Janesville, Wisconsin,   06/25/2004
                                                                                WI
                                                          Police Chief          Gold Hill PD, OR         06/18/2004
                                                          Police Chief          City of Imperial, CA     July 9, 2004
                                                          Police Chief          Enumclaw, WA             06/21/2004

                                                          Police Chief          City of Killeen, Texas,  06/15/2004
                                                                                TX
                                                          Director - DPS        City of Rio Rancho, NM   07/16/2004
                                                          Assistant Chief of
                                                          Police                Independence, KS         06/22/2004
                                                          Public Safety DirectorGrants Pass, OR          06/04/2004
                                                          Senior IT Specialist  Rockville, MD            06/21/2004

                                                         Many more are listed on the website at
                                                         http://www.theiacp.org/jobs/jobsindex.cfm
                                                         Remember: You can submit job listings for free!
                                                         Visit
                                                         http://www.theiacp.org/jobs/jobsindex.cfm?fuseaction=job_input
                                                         CALENDAR
                                                          June 6 -10, 2004    Environmental Crimes Committee
                                                          June 7 - 9, 2004    2004 DRE Conference
                                                          June 7 - 8, 2004    Vehicle Theft Committee Mid-Year Meeting
                                                          June 9 - 12, 2004   Highway Safety Committee Mid-Year Meeting

                                                          June 28, 2004       University and College Police Section Mid
                                                                              Year meeting and lunch
                                                          September 12 - 14,  The 4th South American Executive Policing
                                                          2004                Conference

                                                          November 13 - 17,   111th Annual IACP Conference: Law
                                                          2004                Enforcement Education and Technology
                                                                              Exposition (Los Angeles, CA)

                                                         NON-MEMBER? SUBSCRIBE TO IACP INFO
                                                         All IACP members who have provided their email address
                                                         automatically receive IACP Info biweekly (unless they have
                                                         requested otherwise). If you are not an IACP member, but would
                                                         like to receive IACP Info, just enter your email address and
                                                         mark "subscribe" on our subscription page at
                                                         http://www.theiacp.org/pubinfo/iacpinfo.htm.

  515 North Washington St, Alexandria, VA USA 22314
  phone: 703.836.6767 or 1.800.THE IACP fax:
  703.836.4543

   1.