Subject: [NEXTEL-1] McCaw to launch wireless broadband service

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:09:30 -0400

McCaw to Unveil Wireless Broadband Service

Wed Jun 2, 2:16 AM ET  

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. mobile phone industry pioneer Craig McCaw 
is expected to announce on Wednesday the launch of a national 
wireless broadband service that would compete against other high-
speed Internet access services, The Wall Street Journal said. 

McCaw is expected to announce details of the strategy at the Wireless 
Communications Association International conference in Washington, 
the newspaper said. 

McCaw's company, Clearwire Inc., hopes to provide wireless Internet 
access to people in about 20 markets over the next year, Gerry 
Salemme, the executive vice president of Clearwire and a long time 
associate of McCaw's, told the Journal. 

Salemme was not immediately available to comment to Reuters. 

Clearwire is seeking to offer a national service that targets not 
only rural markets but large markets where other wired alternatives 
are available, the newspaper said. 

McCaw built the first national wireless telephone network and sold it 
to AT&T Corp. (NYSE:T - news) in the mid-1990s for $11.5 billion. He 
later founded telecom company XO Communications Inc. (OTC BB:XOCM.OB -
 news), which filed for bankruptcy protection in 2002. 

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5318020

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/