Subject: [NEXTEL-1] COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE MARKUP" - Faster and Smarter Funding for First Responders Act of 2003"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 02:51:47 -0400

STATEMENT OF CONGRESSMAN JOHN D. DINGELL RANKING MEMBER
COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE

COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE MARKUP
to consider H.R. 3266, the "Faster and Smarter Funding for First
Responders Act of 2003"
and H.R. ____, the "Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization
Act"

June 3, 2004

H.R. 3266, the "Faster and Smarter Funding for First Responders Act of
2004," would reform the manner in
which the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issues grants to enhance
the ability of states, local
governments, and first responders to prevent, prepare for, mitigate, and
respond to acts of terrorism. The bill
directs the Secretary to establish essential capabilities that different
types of communities should obtain in
order to prepare for potential terrorist attacks and streamlines the
delivery of Federal grant assistance for first
responders to build these essential capabilities in a timely and
measurable fashion.

I commend you, Mr. Chairman, for moving this bill forward. I note that
you intend to offer an en bloc amendment
that will help clarify and coordinate the respective responsibilities
the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of
Homeland Security. I intend to support this amendment and I urge my
colleagues to do the same.
The other bill on our agenda is the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and
Reauthorization Act. The bill will
strengthen the ability of satellite companies to compete with cable
providers, and it will foster localism by
ensuring that growth in the satellite industry does not come at the
expense of local broadcasters. At the
Subcommittee markup of this bill, I expressed my support for this
bipartisan product, and I continue to support it
today.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

- 30 -

(Contact: Jodi Seth, 202-225-3641)

http://www.house.gov/commerce_democrats/press/108st110.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/