Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CONNECT First Responders Act

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0400

CONNECT First Responders Act

Bill Summary 

Sponsor: Rep. Nita M. Lowey

The Connecting the Operations of National Networks of Emergency
Communications Technologies for First Responders Act of 2004—the CONNECT
First Responders Act—will significantly enhance the federal government’s
efforts to achieve communications interoperability nationwide by: 

(1) creating and fully authorizing the Office of Wireless Public Safety
Interoperable Communications within the Department of Homeland Security,
and giving this Office the authority and annual budget to work with
federal, state, local stakeholders to develop and implement a national
strategy to achieve interoperability; and 

(2) establishing a new grant program dedicated to achieving
communication interoperability nationwide. • Creation of the Department
Of Homeland Security Office of Wireless Public Safety Interoperable
Communications

The CONNECT First Responders Act addresses the disjointed Federal
approach to achieving interoperable communications by creating a single
organization in the Department of Homeland Security, with a robust
annual budget, to address and resolve interoperability issues: the
Office of Wireless Public Safety Interoperable Communications. Reporting
to the Under Secretary for Science and Technology, this new office will: 

(1) provide overall coordination with all Federal agencies that provide
funding, research, technology development, and other support for
interoperability; 

(2) encourage and facilitate the development of flexible and open
architectures and standards for short- and long-term solutions to
interoperability; 

(3) facilitate collaborative planning among, and provide technical
assistance to, Federal, state, and local public safety agencies; and 

(4) develop and implement a national strategy for achieving
communications interoperability. The bill authorizes $50 million for
fiscal year 2005 for the administration of this office, more than double
the amount requested by the Administration—government-wide—in fiscal
year 2005 ($22 million).

 • Authorization of Interoperable Communications Technology Grant
Program

The CONNECT First Responders Act recognizes that achieving nationwide
interoperability requires significant financial commitments at all
levels of government. Like the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program,
the bill authorizes the Secretary to make direct grants to local
governments and public safety agencies, and also authorizes grants to
state governments. All grant applicants must complete and submit an
interoperable communications plan that can address any aspect of the
communications system life cycle, including: planning, system design and
engineering; procurement and installation of equipment; operations and
maintenance of equipment; and testing and technology development. In
awarding grants, the Secretary shall consider, among other factors, the
location, risk, or vulnerability of critical infrastructure and key
national assets; the nature of the threat to the jurisdiction; and the
extent of partnerships established between local jurisdictions.
Recognizing that achieving interoperable communications is shared
responsibility among Federal, state, and local governments, the bill
institutes a 75 percent federal/25 percent state or local cost share for
the grant program, but also allows for in-kind matching of grant funds.
The bill authorizes $5 billion over five years (fiscal years 2005 –
2009) for the grant program, and escalates the authorization level each
year, in order to:

(1) facilitate the immediate acquisition of short-term communications
equipment to link existing communications infrastructures; and 

(2) initiate the development of comprehensive interoperable
communications plans prior to more extensive equipment purchases in the
latter years of the program.

http://www.house.gov/hsc/democrats/pdf/press/040519_summary.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/