Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UPS Shows How Different Wireless Technologies Work Together

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:36:09 -0400

UPS Shows How Different Wireless Technologies Work Together

By Mike Masnick
Friday June 25, 2004 

In contrast to the constant stories about how different 
wireless technologies will either compete against each 
other or need to merge together 
UPS is showing how different wireless technologies 
can all work together. 

It's easy for some pundits to complain about the different 
wireless standards, and wonder why we need them all, but 
many really are targeted at different needs. They may overlap 
at the edges, but within their niche each standard is a useful 
solution.

Instead of committing to one wireless standard and trying to 
shove square pegs into round holes, UPS has been building 
and improving a wireless system that mixes Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 
and cellular connections, making use of the right wireless 
technology for the situation at hand. 

First announced a couple years ago, the package delivery 
company has designed a Bluetooth scanner that can be worn like 
a ring by workers in the various UPS warehouses. The scanner 
takes the info, passes it via Bluetooth to a Wi-Fi device on their 
waist, which updates UPS' database (and lets customers know 
almost immediately when their package has arrived at the center). 

UPS is expanding this new system to their drivers, who are receiving 
new portable devices that will include Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPRS and 
CDMA radios. The cellular connections are used to report data back 
following deliveries, while the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi can be used at 
certain customers to easily transmit data about what packages the 
driver has to pick up or deliver. On top of this, UPS expects to add 
GPS to both help the driver pinpoint the proper destination, and to 
better plan out routes and understand where a truck is at any 
particular time. While some drivers may get upset at feeling more 
"watched" than before, it's good to see UPS really trying to use the 
various wireless technologies in the ways they were intended and 
building a comprehensive solution that merges the various technologies.

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100810&ref=1563669

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100744&ref=1563669

http://news.com.com/UPS+cuts+the+cord/2100-1039_3-5247689.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/