Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE ratifies 802.16d

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:26:52 -0400

IEEE ratifies 802.16d

The IEEE has ratified 802.16-2004, or 802.16d, a wireless broadband
standard, paving the way for nailing down and ratifying WiMAX
specifications at a later date. This is important news, as WiMAX holds
the promise of alleviating broadband's last-mile problem, allowing
quicker proliferation of broadband-based services. The WiMAX Forum will
begin interoperability certification in early 2006. Companies such as
Alvarion already market pre-WiMAX products, and they have promised
customers free upgrades to the certified standard.

WiMAX has quite a way to go yet, but its progress contrasts favorably
with that of 802.20.  802.20 was designed for mobile devices, but WiMAX,
too, will include mobile features when 802.16e is completed, probably by
early 2006. Intel's support for 802.16 persuaded the market to line up
behind the technology, leading supporters of 802.20, such as Navini
Networks, to join the WiMAX Forum. WiMAX, though, will have to contend
with other wireless data competitors, especially power-line broadband
and EvDO.

More Info-
http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,78w8,8mf,jz6n,d2b0,lp64,96ow

http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,78w8,8mf,el60,5kkc,lp64,96ow

http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?s=69l,78w8,8mf,cfem,4p0c,lp64,96ow

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/