Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Fix Radio System, Highway Troopers Demand"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:56:19 -0400

"Fix Radio System, Highway Troopers Demand"
Reno Gazette-Journal (06/09/04) P. 1A; Timko, Steve

Nevada Highway Patrol officers are demanding their management fix a new
radio system that has numerous dead spots where dispatch cannot be
reached. That endangers officers in case they need back-up, says
Troopers Union Board Member Rick McLellan. State officials acknowledge
difficulties and say the problems are being addressed. The radio vendor,
Massachusetts-based M/A-Com, had problems with deployments in Honolulu
and Pennsylvania, where officers there also demanded improved coverage.
In Honolulu, the Hawaii Organization of Police Officers launched an
advertising campaign that asked motorists to carry cell phones in case
officers' radios did not work; that effort led to fixes, according to
assistant Honolulu police chief Karl Godsey, who says coverage is now up
to the level stipulated by contract. But Alex Garcia of the officers'
organization notes that the radio project has more than doubled its
original budget, reaching about $43 million.
Pennsylvania legislators have also criticized the state administration
for allowing the M/A-Com project to top $400 million--it
was estimated to cost just $179 million in 1999--and fall years behind
in deployment. Even before dealing with M/A-Com,
the Nevada Highway Patrol had troubles with new radio projects, and was
forced to sideline a $14 million computer radio
system in 2000 because it violated FCC code. Reno deputy chief Jim Johns
says the new M/A-Com system is actually
working out great, and points out the new system allows contact with
dispatch from within buildings, as well as direct contact
with other emergency response agencies such as the fire department.
Officials also say the old system had dead spots, and
that officers should activate tone alerts that let them know when
contact has been lost. www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/
2004/06/08/72686.php

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/