Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Southern LINC Introduces Affordable, Multi-Functional Motorola i710 Handset

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:00:31 -0400

June 30, 2004 09:01 AM US Eastern Timezone
Southern LINC Introduces Affordable, Multi-Functional Motorola i710
Handset

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 30, 2004--Southern LINC(R), the wireless
communications service from Southern Company (NYSE: SO), today announced
the availability of the Motorola i710 handset. The compact i710 is a
multi-functional, affordable option for customers who require a
full-featured handset.  "Weighing just over five ounces, the i710
manages to be both lightweight and compact while still housing an
impressive array of features," said Bob Dawson, president and CEO of
Southern LINC. "The i710 is the latest in an exciting new line of
handsets that are not only versatile, but also very affordable."
This new handset offers an expanded 600 entry contacts section, a
vibrant color screen, an animated icon-driven menu, customizable
profiles and GPS capabilities. Additionally, the i710 offers all of the
features associated with Motorola's iDEN(R) technology including Instant
LINC(SM) two-way radio, phone service, text messaging and data access.
The handset also comes pre-loaded with programs and games.  The Motorola
i710 weighs 5.06 ounces and measures 3.67 x 2.04 x 1.08 inches.

About Southern LINC

Southern LINC, which stands for Long-range Integrated Network
Communications, covers 127,000 square miles in the Southeast, including
major metro and rural areas in Alabama, Georgia, southeastern
Mississippi and northwest Florida. Using Motorola's iDEN(R) technology,
Southern LINC combines multiple communication services into one handset
or installed device including Instant LINC(SM) two-way radio, phone
service, text messaging, wireless Internet access and wireless data
access and Java(TM) 2 Micro Edition (J2ME)(TM) applications. More
information about Southern LINC can be obtained by calling
1-800-818-LINC (5462) or visiting the Southern LINC Web site at
www.southernlinc.com.

About Southern Company
With 4 million customers and nearly 39,000 megawatts of generating
capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is the premier
super-regional energy company in the Southeast and a leading U.S.
producer of electricity. Southern Company owns electric utilities in
four states, a growing competitive generation company, an energy
services business and a competitive retail natural gas business, as well
as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are
known for excellent customer service, high reliability and retail
electric prices that are 15 percent below the national average. Southern
Company has been named three consecutive years No. 1 on Fortune
magazine's "America's Most Admired Companies" list in the Electric and
Gas Utility industry. Southern Company has been ranked the nation's top
energy utility in the American Customer Satisfaction Index four years in
a row, and in the latest survey tied for the highest score among all
service industry companies. Southern Company has more than 500,000
shareholders, making its common stock one of the most widely held in the
United States. Visit the Southern Company Web site at
www.southerncompany.com.

 http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20040630005345&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view