Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Says Airports Can't Regulate Wi-Fi

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:44:43 -0400

FCC Says Airports Can't Regulate Wi-Fi

By Mike Masnick
 Fri June 25, 2004

The FCC has quickly stepped in to clear up some
confusion over who owned the airwaves around
an airport for setting up things like Wi-Fi networks.

There's been an ongoing battle (See
http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100722&ref=1563669)
between airports and their tenants (airlines and various retail shops)
concerning who "owns" the airwaves in the airport. The airports want
control over the airwaves, so they can set up a big Wi-Fi system, and
charge everyone to use it. The tenants want to be able to set up their
own Wi-Fi. While the airports suggest competing networks may cause
interference problems, most have suspected it was the economic issue
that was really driving them.

This could represent a larger issue, however. If the airports were found
to have the legal right to be the sole Wi-Fi provider, it's conceivable
that
an apartment building owner or an office building owner could do the
same sort of thing with their tenants -- forcing them to purchase their
way into a building-wide Wi-Fi system.

Luckily, the FCC has quickly stepped in and made it clear that only they
can regulate unlicensed wireless usage, meaning the tenants are free to
do what they want. They base this on the same ruling that allows anyone
in an apartment to set up a satellite TV or wireless broadband system
for
their house without having to first get permission from their landlord.
They do not want the landlord to be able to unfairly control the options
a
tenant has to access "basic services." While it may make the landlords
upset,
it's the proper ruling to continue to promote Wi-Fi usage in a
competitive
market.  

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100811&ref=1563669

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/003937.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/