Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NextWave Seeks Court's OK To Auction Six Licenses

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 02:24:57 -0400

NextWave Seeks Court's OK To Auction Six Licenses

Jun 09, 2004

Bankrupt wireless carrier NextWave, the controversial company that
managed to retain control of extremely valuable spectrum licenses
without actually paying for them, is pressing the bankruptcy court
overseeing its reorganization for permission to auction its rights to a
personal communications services (PCS) license in the 10 MHz band
located in part of New York City, as well PCS licenses in Denver,
Portland, Ore., Sarasota, Fla., Tampa, Fla., and Tulsa, Okla..

If the court grants the request, the auction could take place as early
as July 8. In the event someone objects to the requested auction plan, a
hearing on the matter would occur June 16 before the bankruptcy court in
White Plains, N.Y.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Jan. 27, 2003, ruled that NextWave could keep
billions of dollars worth of wireless licenses despite its failure to
meet payment obligations established by the FCC. As a result of that
ruling, NextWave is free to develop the wireless licenses itself or sell
them to the highest bidder.

When NextWave won the licenses in 1996, it agreed to pay the FCC $4.7
billion.  The would-be PCS provider made a single payment of $500
million. When it was unable to make additional payments, NextWave filed
for bankruptcy in 1998. The FCC then seized the licenses, and NextWave
took the matter to court.

In early 2001, the FCC re-auctioned the seized NextWave spectrum to a
number of different carriers, including AT&T Wireless, Verizon and
Cingular, raising about $16 billion in the process. As it turned out,
Verizon was the top bidder. It paid up to $9 billion. Last year, the FCC
finally agreed to return the deposits to the bidders.

The licenses NextWave wants to auction right now, while valuable, are
not necessarily critical to the company's strategic plans, NextWave
Chairman and CEO Allen Salmasi said in a prepared statement Monday (June
7). "Our recently approved global resolution agreement with the FCC
specifically contemplates that a few licenses, including four of the
licenses being auctioned, would be sold by the end of this year," he
said. "The auction advances that goal and lays the groundwork to file a
plan of reorganization in July that will describe the operational plan
for our remaining spectrum assets."

Assuming the auction goes forward, NextWave's 65 million
points-of-presence (POPs) footprint would still be the sixth largest in
the United States, even without the six PCS licenses the company wants
to auction off. The company wants to keep its business concentrated
primarily in the northeast. Its revised wireless footprint would include
six of the top 10 U.S. markets -- New York, Boston, Philadelphia,
Washington-Baltimore, Detroit, and Los Angeles.

Salmasi said the "super-regional footprint" NextWave wants to retain
provides the company with an "attractive opportunity" to deploy a
next-generation broadband wireless network that is capable of providing
high-speed data and Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) services to a
wide range of consumers and enterprise customers. "The results and
valuable experience gained from the broadband wireless trials we've been
conducting in Henderson, Nev., confirm the growing industry consensus
that broadband wireless is ready to provide fixed and mobility markets
with a solid value proposition," Salmasi said.

NextWave's reorganization plan purportedly will detail the company's
decisions about various operational opportunities now being considered,
including building out the company's markets and entering into joint
ventures and similar collaborative deployments with other carriers and
strategic partners, the carrier said in announcing its plans to auction
off the six PCS licenses.

"We intend to move our plan forward expeditiously," Salmasi said. "We
will be providing for other financing in support of the plan, since the
closing of any sale resulting from the auction is likely to be delayed
beyond confirmation, and in case a sale does not close. NextWave's plan
is intended to pay all of its remaining creditors in full, mostly
utilizing our existing cash reserve of over $450 million, and will allow
the company to reorganize before year-end with a very strong balance
sheet."

 http://www.telecomweb.com/index.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/