Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NextWave Prepares For Sale Of Six Licenses

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 04:23:14 -0400

NextWave Prepares For Sale Of Six Licenses 
By Mark Rockwell
June 7, 2004
news@2 direct

NextWave Telecom is looking to sell off its license rights to PCS 
spectrum in six markets across the nation as it hones its network 
holdings to handle wireless broadband. 

The company asked the court overseeing its bankruptcy proceedings 
for permission to auction off its FCC rights to 10 MHz licenses in 
New York; Denver; Portland, Ore.; Sarasota and Tampa, Fla.; and 
Tulsa, Okla. The company is shooting for a July 8 auction pending 
the approval of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District 
of New York, which oversees NextWave's case. The auction would be 
overseen and managed by the bankruptcy court, but any license rights 
sold at auction would be subject to the FCC's licensing procedures, 
said an FCC spokeswoman. 

The company, said NextWave Chairman and President Allen Salmasi in a 
statement, is focusing on the remaining "65 million POP wireless 
footprint" supported by the licenses it has for New York, Boston, 
Philadelphia, Washington-Baltimore, Detroit and Los Angeles. Exactly 
how it will use those remaining licenses will be outlined in a plan 
of reorganization that will be filed by the company at the court in 
July, according to Salmasi.

The six remaining markets present "an attractive opportunity to 
deploy a next-generation broadband wireless network that can provide 
high-speed data and VoIP services to a broad range of consumer and 
enterprise customers," Salmasi said. The company's Henderson, Nev., 
broadband trial, which uses fixed and mobility services, could be 
the framework on which the company builds the national network.

The company isn't relying on proceeds from the auction to set up its 
network, Salmasi said, and is moving forward with financing 
alternatives. "We will be providing for other financing in support 
of the plan since the closing of any sale resulting from the auction 
is likely to be delayed beyond confirmation, and in case a sale does 
not close," he added.
 
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=133777&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/