Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Introduces Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module to

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:25:43 -0400

Motorola Introduces Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module to
Maximize Bandwidth Utilization

Motorola Introduces Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module to Maximize
Bandwidth Utilization
Motorola's New Module for the BSR 64000 Enables Operators to Quickly and
Cost-Effectively Migrate to DOCSIS(R) 2.0 While Increasing the
Performance of DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 Cable Modems

HORSHAM, Pa., June 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Motorola, Inc.
(NYSE:MOT) today introduced the Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS
Module, a DOCSIS(R) 2.0-compliant solution for the Motorola Broadband
Services Router (BSR) 64000 that allows operators to aggressively and
cost-effectively adopt the DOCSIS 2.0 specification while improving the
performance of installed DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 cable modems.

The Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module features an innovative
extra (ninth) receiver for RF spectrum monitoring and analysis. This
extra receiver monitors performance on upstream ports without impacting
throughput, helping operators understand and mitigate the impact of the
various impairments present in their infrastructure.  Armed with this
knowledge, operators can more readily deploy DOCSIS 2.0-based services
to subscribers, while simultaneously improving throughput on legacy
modems.

The Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module occupies a single slot of
the BSR 64000 edge router/CMTS chassis and offers eight upstream and two
downstream ports with a tunable upconverter. It enables sophisticated
noise measurement, ingress noise cancellation, and noise avoidance
capabilities -- enabling operators to actually exceed the throughput and
performance of the DOCSIS 2.0 specification.

Motorola's new module leverages the ATDMA specification, adding value by
including sophisticated noise measurement and cancellation techniques
that work with all DOCSIS 1.x and 2.0 cable modems so operators can
increase throughput. Cable operators can improve the performance of
legacy modems while simultaneously deploying DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems to
deliver new value-added IP services and improved performance levels.

"For operators, the financial benefits of the Advanced Spectrum
Management CMTS Module are compelling," said Charles Dougherty, Motorola
vice president and general manager, network infrastructure solutions.
"Operators can now accelerate revenue from DOCSIS 2.0 services and
implement migration from DOCSIS 1.X at a pace that makes the most
economic sense because they gain the power to analyze and correct
impairments and improve throughput on these legacy modems."
The Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module is available immediately,
and operators with installed BSR 64000s can benefit from a smooth
migration path by replacing existing DOCSIS Modules with Motorola's new
module.
Motorola will demonstrate the Advanced Spectrum Management CMTS Module
at the SCTE Cable-Tec Expo (June 15-18, Orange County Convention Center,
Booth 2343).
About the Motorola BSR 64000

The Motorola BSR 64000's high-performance, high-density design -- based
on centralized routing and distributed forwarding -- provides the
benefits of simple configuration (single router appearance), scalable
performance (each additional line card brings an associated forwarding
engine) and low cost of entry (operators need only purchase the
forwarding power required). With its hardware-based packet processing,
the BSR 64000 can support large populations of modems and multiple
services.
About Motorola Broadband Communications Sector

The Motorola Broadband Communications Sector provides a scalable,
integrated end-to-end system for the delivery of broadband services that
keeps consumers informed, entertained and connected. Its technology
enables network operators and retailers to create and execute on new
business opportunities by providing innovative products and services to
the home. Customer-responsive design and manufacturing expertise further
contribute to the company's position as the world's leading supplier of
digital cable set-tops and cable modems. For more information about the
Motorola Broadband Communications Sector, visit
http://www.motorola.com/broadband .
About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in wireless, broadband and
automotive communications technologies that help make life smarter,
safer, simpler, synchronized and fun. Sales in 2003 were $27.1 billion.
Motorola creates innovative technological solutions that benefit people
at home, at work and on the move. The company also is a progressive
corporate citizen dedicated to operating ethically, protecting the
environment and supporting the communities in which it does business.
For more information, please visit http://www.motorola.com/ .

Web site:  http://www.motorola.com/broadband
http://www.motorola.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/