Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS, cell phone functions impacted

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:47:00 -0400

GPS, cell phone functions impacted
June 11,2004
Jannette Pippin
Freedom ENC

FORT MACON -- Boaters who normally rely on Global Positioning System
equipment for navigation will need to brush up on alternatives to use
while traveling North Carolina waters over the next 10 days.

GPS interference testing, conducted during a military exercise by the
Department of Defense, will make the signal unreliable and may affect
cell phone signals from about 50 to 60 miles off the coast of Cape
Hatteras as well as some waters off Florida, the U.S. Coast Guard
announced Thursday.

The disruptions will occur during scheduled times today through June 20.
The interruptions along the North Carolina coast will affect Albemarle
Sound, Pamlico Sound and the coastal area from Currituck Beach Light to
Cape Lookout as well as North Carolina's Intracoastal Waterway.

Due to the disruptions, the Coast Guard is urging all boaters to be
prepared for times when GPS may not work or may not be accurate.

"Everyone needs to study their charts and make sure they have
alternative navigation plans in place," said Lt. j.g. Ron Owens of the
Fort Macon Coast Guard station.

Mariners are also reminded that VHF radio is best for communication on
the water. Cell phone signals may also be interrupted during this
training, but even during normal conditions they should only be relied
on as backup communications, the Coast Guard said.

Personnel from Group Fort Macon are working to spread the word about the
GPS interference to local and visiting boaters, including the estimated
200 boats coming to Morehead City next week for the Big Rock Blue Marlin
Tournament.
Owens said tournament officials have been notified, and Coast Guard
representatives will be on hand at the captain's meeting to provide
information to the entrants.

While the disruptions could affect two of the tournament's fishing days,
Owens said the Big Rock's boat captains typically know the area and are
experienced navigators.

"They are not going to have a bunch of amateurs in the tournament. They
are professionals, and the Big Rock does a good job of educating its
captains," he said.

Owens said there is greater concern for the boaters who may not know the
local waters but will be in the area for a weekend visit or summer trip.

Owens said all boaters should wear life jackets and have proper safety
equipment and provisions such as food, water and a first-aid kit.
Boaters should also file a float plan with the marina they use or with
family members so that others know their location and when they intend
to return.

http://www.newbernsj.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=15811&Section=Local

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/