Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Clarification of Public Safety and Governmental Entity Licensee Notification Policy

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:46:53 -0400

Clarification of Public Safety and Governmental Entity Licensee
Notification Policy

DA 04-1875

June 25, 2004

On April 14, 2004, the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (Bureau)
announced that, effective April 16, 2004, it would send email notices to
Public Safety and Governmental Entity (GE) licensees at intervals of 90,
60, 30, and 10 days prior to the license expiration date. (1)  The
Bureau also announced that it would attempt to contact such licensees by
telephone one to nine days prior to the license expiration date, if they
had not filed a renewal application.

The Bureau notes that the notification policy is consistent with the
Commission’s core mandate to “promote safety of life and property” under
Section 1 of the Communications Act. (2)  Specifically, email
notifications to Public Safety and GE licensees (and telephonic
notification if needed) could prevent loss of operating authority and a
concomitant shutdown of Public Safety communication systems, which are
critical for the safety of life and property including Homeland
Security.

The notification policy applies to Public Safety licensees with licenses
designated with one of the following radio service codes: GF, GP, MW,
PA, PW, QM, SL, YF, YP, and YW. (3)  The policy applies to all GE
licensees, except radio service codes: AB, AI, AS, LP, LV, RP, TB, TI,
TP, TS, and TT, (4)  provided that their license in ULS is designated
"Government Entity." (5)  THE BUREAU ADVISES ALL LICENSEES THAT THE
NOTIFICATION POLICY DOES NOT APPLY TO LICENSEES OTHER THAN PUBLIC SAFETY
LICENSEES WITH LICENSES IN ONE OF THE ABOVE SPECIFIED RADIO SERVICE
CODES AND GE LICENSEES, SPECIFIED ABOVE.

The Bureau further advises all licensees that failure of the FCC to send
an email notice/make telephone contact (or send a letter to a licensee
90 days prior to expiration) will not excuse a licensee's failure to
file a renewal application. (6) 
  
In the Notification Policy Notice, the Bureau stated that no
notifications would be made for a license that does not have an email
address or telephone number entered for the license in the Universal
Licensing System (ULS).  The Bureau wishes to clarify that the absence
of a telephone number in ULS will not preclude email notifications,
provided that a valid email address is on file in ULS.  Similarly, the
Bureau will attempt telephone contact (as described above) absent an
email address in ULS, provided that a valid telephone number is on file
in ULS.  Licensees are encouraged to validate their administrative data
in ULS and file an update application if the information is incorrect.  

 For additional information or assistance, you may visit the web at
http://esupport.fcc.gov or e-mail questions to [email-masked]. You may
also call the FCC Support Center at (877) 480-3201 (TTY 202-414-1255)
and select Option #2) Forms or Licensing Assistance; Option #3)
Electronic Filing Assistance; or Option #9) for someone to direct your
call. Hours are from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through
Friday (except Federal holidays). To provide quality service and ensure
security, all telephone calls are recorded.

Notes:

1) See “Email Notifications Will Be Sent to Public Safety and
Governmental Entity Licensees 90, 60, 30, and 10 Days Prior to License
Expiration, Beginning April 16, 2004,” Public Notice, DA 04-1009 (rel.
Apr. 14, 2004) (Notification Policy Notice).  If a renewal application
for a license has been filed, no further notifications will be sent for
that license.  Id.  The Bureau also advised that notifications would be
sent on availability of a valid email address and that it would continue
to send letter notifications 90 days prior to license expiration.  Id.
 
2) 47 U.S.C. § 151. 

3) GF (Public Safety Ntl Plan, 821-824/866-869 MHz, Conv.); GP (Public
Safety/Spec Emerg, 806-821/851-866 MHz, Conv.); MW (Microwave Public
Safety Pool); PA (Public Safety 4940-4990 MHz Band); PW (Public Safety
Pool, Conventional); QM(Non-Nationwide Public Safety/Mutual Aid, 220
MHz); SL (Public Safety 700 MHz Band-State License); YF (Public Safety
Ntl Plan, 821-824/866-869 MHz, Trunked); YP (Public Safety/Spec Emerg,
806-821/851-866 MHz, Trunked); and YW (Public Safety Pool, Trunked).

4) AB (Aural Microwave Booster); AI (Aural Intercity Relay); AS (Aural
Studio Transmitter Link); LP (Broadcast Auxiliary Low Power); LV (Low
Power Wireless Assist Video Devices); RP (Broadcast Auxiliary Remote
Pickup); TB (TV Microwave Booster); 
TI (TV Intercity Relay); TP (TV Pickup); TS (TV Studio Transmitter
Link); and TT (TV Translator Relay).

5) Licensees indicate on FCC Form 601, 603, or 605, as appropriate,
whether they are a "Government Entity." 

6) See Amendment of Parts 0, 1, 12, 22, 24, 26, 27, 80, 87, 90, 95, 97,
and 101 of the Commission's Rules to Facilitate the Development and Use
of the Universal Licensing System in the Wireless Telecommunications
Services, Report and Order, 13 FCC Rcd 21027 (1998), 96 (“Our decision
to use this [90-day] reminder letter as a convenience to licensees does
not in any way absolve licensees from timely filing their renewal
applications.  Failure to file for license renewal before the end of the
license term will result in automatic cancellation of the license.”), 98
(“even if a licensee does not receive a renewal reminder notice, the
licensee still must timely file its renewal application . . .  not
receiving a renewal reminder notice does not excuse the licensee's
failure to seek a timely renewal.”) and 99 (“for the same reasons that
other licensees must file their renewal applications on time, so must
public safety licensees”).

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-1875A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/