Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NTIA FILES COMMENTS WITH FCC ON BROADBAND OVER POWER LINE SYSTEMS

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:12:48 -0400

NTIA New Release
June 4, 2004

For Immediate Release

Contact: Clyde Ensslin or

Ranjit de Silva

202-482-7002

NTIA FILES COMMENTS WITH FCC ON BROADBAND OVER POWER LINE SYSTEMS

Recommends Commission's Rulemaking proceed without delay

The Commerce Department's National Telecommunications and Information
Administration today filed comments with the Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) providing technical guidance for the responsible
deployment of broadband over power line (BPL)
systems and urging the Commission to complete its BPL rulemaking
proceeding
without delay.

Today's NTIA Comments in ET Docket No. 03-104, ET Docket No. 04-37:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fccfilings/2004/BPLComments_06042004.doc

On April 26, President Bush called for the establishment of technical
standards to make possible new broadband technologies such as the use of
high speed communications directly over power lines.  On April 27, NTIA
released a Phase One study that examined the potential interference to
federal government radio systems that could result from the deployment
of
BPL, and identified appropriate techniques that will mitigate this
interference. (Phase One Study:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fccfilings/2004/bpl/index.html)

 Today's comments build upon the results of NTIA's Phase One study by
providing technical analysis of the issues raised in the FCC's BPL
Notice
of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM).  NTIA's comments, together with the rules
proposed in the FCC's NPRM will reduce the risk of interference to
critical
federal radiocommunication systems, and provide a firm technical
foundation
for the responsible deployment of BPL.

"The cooperative efforts of the FCC and NTIA will contribute
significantly
toward fulfillment of the President's vision for universal affordable
broadband Internet access for all Americans by 2007," said Acting NTIA
Administrator Michael D. Gallagher.

NTIA's comments endorse the Commission's proposed field strength limits
and
provide recommendations for reducing the risk of interference to
authorized
radiocommunication systems. Specifically, NTIA recommends the use of
mandatory power control, adoption of limited coordination areas and
exclusion of critical frequency bands.  NTIA also made recommendations
regarding refinements to the FCC's proposed compliance measurement
procedures for BPL systems.

NTIA expects to complete its Phase Two study later this year. However,
in
order to quickly address issues that have an immediate impact on the
FCC's
rulemaking, the most significant issues considered in the comprehensive
Phase Two study are provided in a technical appendix of today's filing.
NTIA expects its Phase Two study to complement any conclusions reached
by
the Commission and, therefore, recommends that the Commission's
rulemaking
proceed without delay.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/press/2004/bpl_06042004.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/