Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Packet-based PTT is more efficient, analyst firm contends (Duh!)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:30:07 -0400

Packet-based PTT is more efficient, analyst firm contends
June 23 13:34:00, 2004

STOCKHOLM, Sweden—A new study says push-to-talk over packet-switched
networks is superior to push-to-talk over
circuit-switched networks. Carriers, meanwhile, have not ruled out
proprietary pre-standards solutions of either variety.

In its white paper, analyst firm Northstream said Push-to-talk over
Cellular over GPRS is at least five times more efficient than the
circuit-switched counterpart.

Circuit-switched networks can be six times more expensive, Northstream
said.

Nokia Corp. said it has produced pre-standard PoC offerings, which have
been accepted by a raft of carriers. Other big players like Motorola
Inc., Nortel Networks Ltd. and Siemens AG are committed to a different
protocol.

The study identifies the advantages of PoC as interoperability between
terminals and networks, interoperability between operators, native PoC
client support in terminals and synergies in terminals and networks with
other IMS-based service.

“We believe push to talk from a business perspective has a great
potential, and our studies show that it is feasible to implement it over
GPRS, and as packet radio networks evolve the service will improve even
further from an end-user point of view,” said Bo Astrom, technical
advisor at Northstream.
 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18604

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/