Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WiMAX Forum campaigns for global spectrum harmonization

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:25:52 -0400

WiMAX Forum campaigns for global spectrum harmonization

The WiMAX forum, trying to foster a regulatory environment favorable to
the global deployment of WiMAX Forum-certified systems, has established
a Regulatory Working Group (RWG) aimed at ensuring availability and
global harmonization of WiMAX-friendly spectrum worldwide. The RWG will
coordinate its efforts with those of the Forum's more than 100 members
in persuading regulators around the world. The uniform allocation of
spectrum is important in lowering equipment costs (radios are a major
cost component in developing WiMAX systems -- and radios must be
optimized for each of the major spectrum bands suitable for WiMAX
deployments). The WiMAX Forum says global harmonization can initially be
achieved in the following spectrum bands:

License-exempt 5 GHz: This band is free, allowing grassroots deployments
in underserved markets; the focus here will be on increasing European
use of this band.  Licensed 3.5 GHz: The focus here will be on
minimizing unnecessary technical requirements which hobble BWA usage
models.

Licensed 2.5 GHz: This band is already allocated in the U.S., Mexico,
Brazil, and several Southeast Asian countries; the effort here will be
to make this band available in other countries.

The Forum will also work to advance the allocation of licensed and
license-exempt spectrum in lower frequency bands such as the 700 MHz
frequency range.© 2004 FierceMarkets Inc •

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/