Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UPLC sets the record straight on BPL interference

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:10:40 -0400

UPLC Sets the Record Straight on BPL Interference

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 22, 2004

WASHINGTON

The FCC's proposals are appropriate; NTIA's recommendations
and ARRL's naysaying are misguided. The United Power Line
Council (UPLC) forcefully replied to concerns about harmful
interference from BPL in reply comments filed today, and urged
the FCC to move forward quickly to develop rules that will encourage
more development and deployment of BPL services to the public.

Specifically, UPLC expressed its concerns with findings and
recommendations by the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration (NTIA) that overstate the risk of
interference from BPL. NTIA's proposals would place undue
operating restrictions and impose arbitrary measurement
guidelines that threaten to delay the deployment of BPL or
preclude it altogether; however, the UPLC expressed its interest
in working with NTIA going forward. Moreover, UPLC did agree
with NTIA that BPL "has been studied to death already and the
FCC should adopt rules without further delay."

Link to full text of UPLC Comments:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6516214637

UPLC reminded the Commission that BPL is not just another broadband
access
platform, but one that enables applications in ways that other
technologies
do not by providing enhanced utility applications, home networking,
symmetric speeds, and low latency for a variety of services. Unique
applications will improve the efficiency and reliability of electric
service to utility customers as well as promote broadband competition
for
consumers, carriers and ISPs - saving lives, reducing electric
generation
costs, remedying the digital divide and conquering the DSL- cable
duopoly.

UPLC also commented on amateur radio opposition to the technology,
urging
the Commission to ignore "armchair amateurs that still use vacuum tube
transmitters" and listen to the reputable companies and entrepreneurs
who
are the real experts on BPL and who have overcome enormous technical
obstacles to make BPL a reality in the U.S. All the field trials over
the
years in various parts of the country have shown that the risk of
interference from BPL is extraordinarily low, because it produces only
minimal radio frequency energy at a few points in the system. Moreover,
these systems will incorporate adaptive interference mitigation
capabilities that will effectively remedy any interference that might
result to fixed and mobile operations in the High Frequency (HF) band
(1.7-80 MHz).

"BPL is an exciting technology with a promising future, but it's
dependent
on the FCC to develop rules that will encourage companies to deploy
systems, both for better electrical service and competitive broadband,"
stated Bill Moroney, President and CEO of UPLC. "If the goal of this
Administration is universal affordable broadband access by 2007, BPL is
the
best hope of achieving it."

Founded in 1948, UTC represents the telecommunications interests of
electric and gas utilities, water companies, gas pipelines and other
critical infrastructure entities, along with their technology partners.
UTC
is a global federation of direct business members and affiliated trade
associations representing over 10,000 organizations serving all corners
of
the world and virtually every community in North America. More
information
is available at http://www.utc.org.

The United Power Line Council (UPLC) is an independent operating unit of
the UTC. Utilities and their technology provider partners have joined to
form the UPLC in order to drive the development of broadband over power
line solutions in North America. The UPLC's efforts are focused in three
strategic areas: market awareness, regulatory and legislative advocacy,
and
technical operability. The UPLC is an evolution of UTC's Power Line
Telecom
Forum (PLTF) that was created in 1998 as the source for information and
advocacy in North America for this nascent industry. Additional
information
is available about UPLC at http://www.uplc.org.
# # #

For More Information, Contact Mary Alice Patterson, Media Relations
Assistant
1.202.833.6811 mary.patterson @ utc.org

http://www.uplc.utc.org/?cbr_v=dcb&nt=true&cbr_eid=25276&p=admin&ct=contentbrowser

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:25:36 -0400

UPLC obviously got tangled up in some power lines, tripped and bumped their head. Many of
the top Engineers, FCC officials, etc. are amateurs radio operators.  Not all of us use tube
radios. Some tube radios produce better audio than their transistor counter parts.

UPLC deserves a verbal "Smack Down" for this one.

"UPLC also commented on amateur radio opposition to the technology,
urging the Commission to ignore "armchair amateurs that still use vacuum tube
transmitters"and listen to the reputable companies and entrepreneurs
who are the real experts on BPL and who have overcome enormous technical
obstacles to make BPL a reality in the U.S."