Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Legislation Expected in 800 MHz Debate

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:27:39 -0400

Legislation Expected in 800 MHz Debate

The 800MHz debate rages on. To solve a public safety interference issue,
Nextel Communications has offered to spend $5.4 billion to reorganize
its spectrum in the 800 MHz band and turn over part to public safety
groups in return for spectrum in the 1.9-gigahertz band. Unfortunately,
Nextel's offer of $5.4 billion does not include any payment for the
1.9-gigahertz spectrum. The FCC would like to resolve this issue as
quickly as possible and are rumored to accept Nextel's proposal.
Congressman Jim Nussle, House Budget Committee Chairman, is expected to
introduce legislation forcing the FCC to transfer money raised from the
sale of the spectrum to the Treasury. CTIA- The Wireless Association and
wireless companies continue to fight this plan and have asked the FCC to
auction off the 1.9-gigahertz of spectrum or give Nextel less valuable
spectrum, comparable of the amount the company has offered to pay. The
FCC is expected to decide on this three-year debate in upcoming weeks.
(New York Times)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/