Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The President's Spectrum Policy Initiative- Fact Sheet on Recommendations to Improve Spectrum Management

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:49:56 -0400

The President's Spectrum Policy Initiative-
Fact Sheet on Recommendations to Improve Spectrum Management

Today the Department of Commerce (DOC) released two spectrum reports
with recommendations to develop a U.S. spectrum policy for the 21st
century. These reports arose out of an Executive Memorandum that the
President signed in June 2003, creating the Spectrum Policy Initiative,
chaired by DOC, to improve spectrum management policies and procedures:

Report 1: Recommendations of the Federal Government Spectrum Task Force

Report 2: Recommendations for Spectrum Use by State and Local
Governments and the Private Sector.

The Overall Importance of the Recommendations

Will foster economic growth; ensure our national and homeland security;
maintain U.S. global leadership in communications technology development
and services; and satisfy other vital U.S. needs in areas such as public
safety, scientific research, federal transportation infrastructure, and
law enforcement.

Support the President’s recent announcement that all Americans should
have universal, affordable access to broadband technology by 2007. Some
of the most promising new broadband technologies are wireless. By
expanding the amount of spectrum available for commercial uses, we will
increase high speed Internet access.

Build upon the recent successes of the Administration to implement new
technologies: Third Generation (3G) Wireless; Wireless Fidelity (WiFi);
and Ultrawideband (UWB).

Highlights of the Recommendations in the Two Reports

Encourage Innovation and New Technologies

Establish a Spectrum Sharing Innovation Test-Bed: Within two years, the

National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) of DOC
and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) should establish a pilot
program between federal and non- federal government users for sharing of
two equal bands of spectrum.

Identify and Analyze New Technologies: NTIA, working with the FCC and
research and development laboratories in the federal government and the
private sector, should improve approaches for assessing emerging
technologies and expanded services in a timely manner.

Increase Private Sector Input on Policy Issues: NTIA will establish a
Spectrum
Management Advisory Committee to provide top level input to formulate
positions and plans on such difficult policy issues as the transition to
Digital Television, universal and affordable broadband access, and
public safety interoperability.

Modernize the Spectrum Management System

Establish a National Strategic Spectrum Plan and Long-Range Spectrum
Planning: NTIA and the FCC should coordinate the development of a
National Strategic Spectrum plan. Federal government spectrum users
should biennially provide a strategic plan to be combined into the
National Strategic Plan. State, regional, and local government agencies
should establish similar long-range plans.

Establish Economic and Efficiency Incentives

Examine Spectrum Rights as Incentives: NTIA, in conjunction with the
FCC, should examine the possibility of modifying spectrum rights to
encourage the deployment of spectrally efficient technologies.

Expand Secondary Market Incentives: The FCC should consider expanding
the application of secondary markets across services.

Urge Congress to Pass Legislation: Congress should enact legislation to:
1) provide the FCC with permanent authority to conduct spectrum auctions
for licenses;

2) allow the FCC to collect fees for spectrum use; and 3) establish a
spectrum relocation fund to streamline the process for reimbursing
government spectrum users and facilitate their relocation to comparable
spectrum.

Ensure the Protection of Critical Government Spectrum Users and Services

Address Public Safety Issues: 1) DHS, in coordination with NTIA, the
FCC, regional, state and local governments, and the private sector,
should develop a comprehensive plan to address public safety spectrum
issues, including fragmentation, shortage, interference, and security;
and 2) NTIA should examine the feasibility of sharing spectrum among
public safety stakeholders and impleme nt one or more demonstration
programs to test sharing spectrum and infrastructure among them.
Facilitate Interoperability and Continuity of Government Communications
:

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), NTIA, and the Office of
Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) should coordinate with appropriate
federal agencies, to develop and implement a plan to address the
spectrum needs of federal, state, and local communication
interoperability and continuity of government operations in light of
terrorist threats, emergencies and day-to-day operations.

Establish a Policy and Plans Steering Group (PPSG): NTIA should
establish a
Policy and Plans Steering Group (PPSG), comprised of Assistant
Secretaries of federal government officials, to help resolve spectrum
policy disputes.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/reports/specpolini/factsheetspecpolini_06242004.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/