Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public safety weighs in on 800 MHz plan

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:57:42 -0400

Public safety weighs in on 800 MHz plan

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
June 01, 2004

WASHINGTON

Public-safety advocates of the Consensus Plan to solve interference in
the 800 MHz band spoke by telephone with FCC Chairman Michael Powell May
27, expressing concern Nextel Communications Inc. will walk away from
any plan that includes 2.1 GHz as replacement spectrum.

“The public-safety associations reiterated their support for the
Consensus Plan and expressed grave concern that Federal Communications
Commission selection of replacement spectrum at 2.1 GHz would leave
public safety without a solution to the interference problem, as Nextel
has made it clear that it will not proceed with the 800 MHz realignment
under those circumstances. The public-safety association noted that, in
contrast, Nextel has indicated that it will fund and initiate the 800
MHz realignment process immediately upon FCC adoption of an order that
provides replacement spectrum at 1.9 GHz, despite anticipated litigation
by those attempting to overturn the decision,” said Robert Gurss,
director of legal and government affairs for the Association of
Public-safety Communications Officials.

The FCC is considering spectrum in either the 1.9 GHz or 2.1 GHz bands
as replacement spectrum for airwaves Nextel would give up as part of a
retuning plan for the 800 MHz band. Nextel prefers 1.9 GHz spectrum,
while Verizon Wireless and the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association advocate spectrum in the 2.1 GHz band.

The Consensus Plan would shuffle the 800 MHz band to eliminate the
current situation where public safety, private wireless, Nextel, other
SMRs and cellular carriers are intermingled. In exchange for giving up
spectrum in the 700 MHz, 800 MHz and 900 MHz bands and for paying to
retune public safety and private wireless, Nextel has asked for 10
megahertz in the 1.9 GHz band. Nextel; the Industrial Telecommunications
Association, which represents private-wireless interests; and some
public-safety advocacy groups support the Consensus Plan. Other
public-safety advocacy groups have expressed concern about the Consensus
Plan. 

Meanwhile, the Journal News of Westchester, N.Y., urged the FCC to
quickly make a decision in an editorial that ran Monday. In the same
editorial, the paper expressed support for legislation sponsored by Rep.
Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) to implement nationwide first-responder
interoperability within five years.

The Connecting the Operations of National Networks of Emergency
Communications Technologies (CONNECT) for First Responders Act of 2004
was introduced last month.

“It’s time to close the communications gap that left so many New York
firefighters and police without hope on Sept. 11. Interoperable
equipment will protect our first responders and, in turn, enable them to
better protect the public during emergencies. Congress must step up to
the plate and provide the vital resources and tools our first responders
need,” said Lowey.

The Connect for First Responders Act would create an Office of Wireless
Public Safety Interoperable Communications within the Department of
Homeland Security and establish a $5 billion grant program.

Lowey is also a co-sponsor of the Homeland Emergency Response Operations
Act, which would set a hard date for the return of analog TV spectrum.
Some of that spectrum—24 megahertz—has been allocated for public safety
with a portion dedicated to interoperable communications.

The House telecommunications subcommittee will hold a hearing tomorrow
on the status of the transition to digital TV. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18310

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/