Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS-Enabled Cell Phones May Have Flaw When Dialing 911

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:35:21 -0400

KIROTV.com
GPS-Enabled Cell Phones May Have Flaw When Dialing 911

Wayne Havrelly KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator
UPDATED: 5:01 PM PDT June 7, 2004

There is a cell phone problem that could impact you the next time you
call 911.

Consumer Investigator Wayne Havrelly has discovered a new technology
designed to save lives is going through some growing pains that could
put you at risk.

We're talking about what are called GPS-enabled cell phones.
They connect with global
positioning satellites so 911
operators can pinpoint your exact
location.

But there's a problem. We've just
confirmed that sometimes those
911 operators can't understand
you because of this technology.

New global positioning satellite
technology now helps 911
operators map out exactly where
cell phone calls are coming from.

But our consumer investigation
discovered 911 operators can't
always hear what your saying
when you first call.

It just happened to Bruce Lane on
his new Verizon GPS phone.

"I was giving a report of a couple of disabled vehicles and the operator
kept saying 'Sir, you are cutting out. Could you hold on a moment?' I
kept trying and finally it went through," said Lane.
He says the operator couldn't understand him for 30 seconds.

Nine-one-one officials confirm this is a serious nationwide problem.
Many times emergency operators can't hear callers for up to 40 seconds.
Operators say voices cut out when the new phones are busy receiving
signals from GPS satellites overhead.
Apparently the GPS phones have trouble sending data from the GPS
satellites and your voice to the 911 operator at the same time.

"I could picture a situation where someone is coming at you with a knife
or something and you're trying to tell a 911 operator 'Hey, help me;
here I am,' and all they're getting is 'Hey uh-[digital noise]' until
the phone is finished squirting its GPS data," said Lane.

The head of King Counties 911 system tells me they are very concerned
about this. In fact some 911 callers have actually hung up in the middle
of emergencies because operators couldn't hear them.
It's not just Verizon Wireless that's struggling with this.

In fact, it's happening with all providers that use phones that transmit
data from GPS satellites.
The cell providers say they're working on the problem but until it is
solved, your 911 operator might not be able to hear your voice when you
make a call that someone's life could be depending on.

What's really important to remember here is that you need to stay on the
line.

Don't hang up just because the 911 operator can't hear you right away if
you can hear them the connection is fine.
It may take between 10 and 40 seconds before they can hear you.

On the positive side, thanks to this GPS technology they'll know exactly
where to send emergency crews without even asking.
http://www.kirotv.com/consumer/3392208/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/