Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bush: Wireless A Key To Future Economy

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:54:30 -0400

Bush: Wireless A Key To Future Economy
BY MARK ROCKWELL
JUNE 25, 2004

WASHINGTON -- President George W. Bush yesterday pegged wireless
broadband
as one of the key future technologies that has the potential to push
broadband
services deep into rural areas of the country, spurring innovation and
ultimately,
the economy.

In a speech before an audience of hundreds of public officials --
including U.S.
Department of Commerce executives, acting National Telecommunications
and
Information Administration (NTIA) director Michael Gallagher, CTIA
President and
CEO Steve Largent and Wireless Communications Association International
President Andrew Kreig -- the president called for broadband to be
available
everywhere in the country by 2007.  Wireless broadband, along with
broadband via
powerline technology, will be a key to opening up remote and rural areas
to the
services, he said. "High-speed Internet connections are critical to the
economy,"
he said.

The president made his remarks after a tour of some broadband technology

demonstrations set up at the Commerce Department's headquarters. In his
speech following the tour, the president was enthusiastic about one
Wi-Fi
demonstration he had seen, as well as a medical imaging application. The
Wi-Fi
application involved an alert system that allows parents to receive a
picture via
their mobile phone when their child returns home. "Pretty imaginative,
isn't it?,"
he said.

Bush outlined his vision for national broadband capabilities through
wireline,
satellite, wireless and other technologies, adding that Internet access
shouldn't be
taxed -- backing legislation currently making its way through Congress.
He also
said cutting down on "burdensome" regulations would make the rollout
easier for
service providers. Wireline phone companies have faced regulatory
uncertainty in
the past few years, he said, as the FCC's phone company network leasing
rules
have made their way through a lengthy appeals cycle.

The president also noted that spectrum is "a limited resource" that
needs to be
"used wisely." He applauded the NTIA's efforts to synchronize the
federal
government's use of spectrum while returning some spectrum to the
commercial
market.

Bush made his remarks as the Commerce Department issued its report on
spectrum policy that once again urged close coordination between
government
and commercial use of spectrum. The report mirrored many of the FCC's
efforts to
coordinate spectrum use.

The report recommends setting up a joint test bed over the next two
years for
spectrum-sharing technologies. The test bed would use 20 MHz of
spectrum, 10
MHz for government and 10 MHz for commercial in an as-yet undetermined
slice
of spectrum. The test bed would help both government and commercial
concerns
develop technology that could share spectrum resources.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=06/25/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/