Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel prepares international push-to-talk service

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 04:20:52 -0400

Wednesday, June 9, 2004 
Nextel prepares international push-to-talk service
June 9, 2004 1:01pm
BNamericas.com

Nextel, the Mexican unit of regional trunking operator NII Holdings 
(Nasdaq: NIHD), plans to extend its international push-to-talk 
service (PTT) to Mexico, according to local paper El Financiero.

Nextel launched its international direct connect (IDC) service in 
May for customers in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Peru and the US, 
which enables users to make long-distance calls on their cell phone 
using radio frequencies. 

According to Carlos Ortega, Nextel communications director, the 
upcoming Mexican launch is no more than four weeks away. Technical 
testing has been completed in Mexico and no problems are anticipated 
with the upcoming launch, he said. 

Nextel has not released pricing information for the service in 
Mexico. It currently offers its PTT in Peru for US$15 a month, but 
different types of plans and rates are expected. 

There has been increasing interest among regional mobile operators 
to enter the PTT market, which has traditionally been the territory 
of trunking operators like Nextel, the largest such company in 
Mexico. 

Nextel has asked regulatory authorities to establish rules to ensure 
fair competition in the segment. "Competition is welcome - we aren't 
afraid of it and important benefits will surely flow to the 
consumer. On the contrary, we are sure that we have the best 
position and experience to better the offers from mobile companies," 
Nextel VP Gustavo Cantú was quoted as saying. 

As of March of this year, Nextel had 703,000 customers, which 
represents about 3% of the Mexican mobile market. Since initiating 
operations in Mexico, the company has invested close to US$1.5bn and 
currently offers service in 25 cities.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR200406093200.1_c81800066bc0a8cd

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/