Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Strigl Blasts Wireless Directory Assistance

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:05:53 -0400

=====================================================================
Wireless Week
Breaking News Alert from news@2direct
June 21, 2004
=====================================================================

Strigl Blasts Wireless Directory Assistance
By Sue Marek

NEW YORK -- Similar to its dramatic reversal and support of wireless
local number portability one year ago, Verizon Wireless has decided to
take a pro-consumer stance on the prickly subject of wireless
directory assistance.

Speaking at the Yankee Group's 2004 Wireless Leadership Summit this
morning, Verizon CEO Denny Strigl said the carrier is vehemently
opposed to wireless directory assistance and will continue to protect
its customers' privacy by refusing to provide wireless phone numbers
to directory publishers. Instead, Strigl said the wireless industry
should continue its tradition of not publishing wireless phone numbers
and protecting subscribers from unwanted calls. "Customers view their
cell phones as one place where they have control," Strigl said. "Why
tear down the wall of privacy that is unique? We spent decades
building that wall."

Not only does Strigl not want to publish his customers' phone numbers,
he says the "opt-in" alternative that many wireless directory
proponents advocate as a way to make sure that the only numbers
published are those that are sanctioned by subscribers is not a
solution. That tact is considered disingenuous by consumers because
they believe it leads to being charged fees for choosing not to have
their phone number published, Strigl said.

Although Strigl called upon other wireless carriers to join Verizon's
stance, there is some indication that the company will use its
anti-wireless directory assistance stance as a differentiator. Strigl
said the company is changing its customers' contracts to include a
provision saying that it will not provide the customer's phone number
for publishing in a directory. "We are pushing something that the
customers don't want," Strigl said. "I think it's a dumb idea."

Besides taking an anti-directory assistance stance, Strigl also used
the Yankee Group forum to admonish legislators for their continued
taxing of wireless services. He said the wireless industry has been
successful in making wireless affordable and the current average
wireless consumer's bill includes about 14 percent that goes to
discriminatory taxes. "Using wireless as a way for states to generate
taxes is not a good idea," Strigl said.

Although many in the audience were hoping for more details on Verizon
Wireless' upcoming rollout of 1XEV-DO broadband service, Strigl would
only say that the company will have some major markets up and running
by the end of the summer, with one-third of its network 1XEV-DO
capable by year-end. He said the company also is looking at migrating
to EV-DV after it deploys EV-DO and indicated that some markets may
require EV-DV because of spectrum constraints; however, he added that
he doesn't expect that technology to be available for a few more
years.

Wireless Week
http://www.wirelessweek.com

The Wireless Authority

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/