Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Foolsner Pumps up The "SCAM PLAN"-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:13:58 -0400

Nextel offers more 800 MHz spectrum

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
June 07, 2004

WASHINGTON

Nextel Communications Inc. told the Federal Communications Commission’s
chief of staff June 2 that it would give up additional spectrum
resources in the 800 MHz band if the FCC awards it spectrum in the 1.9
GHz band as part of any plan to solve public-safety interference. 

“Nextel would nearly double the amount of spectrum at 800 MHz available
for public-safety communications. This additional spectrum will provide
40 more communications channels in markets throughout the country,” said
Leigh Horner, Nextel’s director of policy communications. 

There continues to be much speculation as to what Nextel will do to
sweeten the Consensus Plan and ward off its competitors’ objections to
it receiving 10 megahertz of spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band. Since
receiving a barrage of criticism, it has struck a deal with broadcasters
to pay for the relocation of the broadcast auxiliary service. 

Nextel’s offer to Bryant Tramont, FCC chief of staff, came less than a
week after public-safety advocates of the Consensus Plan to solve
interference in the 800 MHz band spoke by telephone with FCC Chairman
Michael Powell May 27 expressing concern Nextel will walk away from any
plan that includes 2.1 GHz as replacement spectrum. 

The offer of 2 additional megahertz and the restricted use of 1
megahertz of spectrum in the 800 MHz band brings Nextel’s total
financial commitment to $5.155 million, according to a filing made late
Friday at the FCC. 

“The additional 2 megahertz will provide 40 more 800 MHz public-safety
communications channels in markets throughout the nation. This
additional spectrum provides capacity for thousands of additional mobile
units in communities where public-safety systems face serious capacity
constraints. It also provides the essential spectrum access necessary to
create the interoperable communications networks essential for
public-safety officials to meet their expanded homeland-security
responsibilities,” said Lawrence Krevor, Nextel vice president of
government affairs. 

The FCC is considering spectrum in either the 1.9 GHz or 2.1 GHz bands
as replacement spectrum for airwaves Nextel would give up as part of a
retuning plan for the 800 MHz band. Nextel prefers 1.9 GHz spectrum,
while Verizon Wireless and the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association advocate spectrum in the 2.1 GHz band for Nextel. 

The FCC staff sent a proposal to the commissioners in March, and since
then, industry has been waiting for the final rules to come out, all the
while lobbying its various points of view. The FCC met in April and May
without discussing the issue, and the agenda for its meeting this
Thursday does not list the 800 MHz issue. According to Reuters, Tim
Donahue, Nextel’s chief executive officer, told an investment conference
in New York last week he hopes it will be on the July agenda.

From: http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18368

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/