Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Stealth wallpaper could keep WLANs secure

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:44:39 -0400

Stealth-Based Wallpaper Stops Wi-Fi Signals Dead

 Contributed by Mike Masnick on Friday, June 18 2004 @ 1:46pm

 One of the many issues companies bring up in explaining why they won't
install Wi-Fi wireless networks is the "bleeding"
 issue: the wireless "bleeds" beyond the walls of their building and out
into the parking lot, where some creative hackers
 might be able to get access. Well, if someone's got a problem, someone
else is likely to come along and solve it. British
 defense contractor BAE has taken some of that stealth bomber material
they had lying around and put it up on the walls
 and discovered it blocks Wi-Fi. In other words, companies could put up
this wallpaper and stop the Wi-Fi from bleeding
 out beyond the walls. Of course, I would imagine that stealth wallpaper
doesn't come cheap.

techdirt.com
=================================================================================================================================================

Story URL: http://networks.silicon.com/lans/0,39024663,39121501,00.htm

Stealth wallpaper could keep WLANs secure

Ron Coates
silicon.com

June 18, 2004

UK defence contractor BAE Systems has developed a stealth wallpaper to
beat electronic eavesdropping on company Wi-Fi networks.

The company has produced panels using the technology to produce a screen
that will prevent outsiders from listening in on companies' Wi-Fi
traffic but let other radio and mobile phone traffic get through.

The FSS (Frequency Selective Surface) panels are made in the same way as
printed circuit boards - layers of copper on Kapton polymer - and used
on stealth bombers and fighter jets. They come in two varieties:
passive, which is effectively permanent, and active, where various areas
can be switched on and off to enlarge or limit the area of the network.

The panels are 50 to100 microns thick and can be applied to most
surfaces including glass. A company spokesman claimed that they also
helped reduce "noise" in buildings where a number of companies operate
their own separate LANs.
BAE Systems developed the new material with £145,000 of funding from the
Radiocommunications Agency, which is now part of Ofcom. BAE says the
material is cheap and it will be developing it commercially through
BAE's corporate venture subsidiary.

There is no timescale for its commercial availability.
Copyright © 2003 CNET Networks, Inc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/