Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nussle Introduces Spectrum Accountability Act- Taxpayers should benefit from any deal

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:07:35 -0400

House Budget Committee
PRESS RELEASE
Contact: HBC Press Office -- 202-226-9844
June 25, 2004

Nussle Introduces Spectrum Accountability Act
Taxpayers should benefit from any deal

House Budget Committee Chairman Jim Nussle today introduced The Spectrum
Accountability Act.  The legislation supports the adherence to the sound
principles of spectrum auction management, particularly the use of
competitive bidding. This bill addresses the requirement for spectrum
auctions and the need for the efficient management of this finite
resource.

At present, there is a disagreement over the proper statutory
application of the Federal Communications Commission’s requirement to
conduct spectrum auctions. There are some who suggest that current
communications law is unclear as to when an auction is required.

This bill reaffirms the intent of Congress to use the auction process
and competitive bidding for the
grant of commercial spectrum, and clarifies when the auction requirement
is applicable

.
Congress has a duty to efficiently manage Federal resources. This duty
is the same whether the resource is actual taxpayer dollars or public
assets, such as electromagnetic spectrum, which are held by the
Government. While it is the Federal Communications Commission’s role to
handle the operational aspects of spectrum management, this function
must be carried out as prescribed by communications law.

Congress was quite clear that auctions and the competitive bidding
process provide the most efficient and appropriate means for spectrum
management, and this bill will dispel any remaining misconceptions on
the matter.

“The bottom line is that the public owns the airwaves, so taxpayers
should be the beneficiaries of any spectrum deals. The competitive
bidding process has already shown us that a fair market value is best
attained through the use of competitive bidding,” said Nussle.

http://budget.house.gov/062504pr.htm