Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push to Talk launched in Australia

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:03:08 -0400

Push to Talk launched in Australia

Australia's Telstra has commerically launched its Push To Talk service.
Telstra has been trialing the service with business customers such as
Becton, Accor Asia Pacific, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, and
Alpine Shire Council and the feedback received was positive,
particularly its ability to replace multiple communications devices with
a single handset.
Stuart Hinks IT Manager for Becton Ltd said the construction company had
been trialling Push To Talk on its building site in Melbourne and were
pleased with the service. "One of the major benefits of the system is
the ability to communicate with all staff either within a specific site
or the entire group at one time regardless of their location," Mr Hinks
said.

Mr Bergin said the communication channel stays open continuously, yet
users only pay for the time they hold down the button to speak, making
it cost effective for short bursts of conversation.

"To operate the service, customers require a specific Push To Talk
handset that also provides mobile phone services. The 'always-on'
virtual connection is available nationally through Telstra's GPRS mobile
network and is expected to be available to CDMA customers late this
year.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/11336.shtml

Posted to the site on 23rd June 2004

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/