Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US jaming tests could affect cellphones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:25:58 -0400

US jaming tests could affect cellphones
14th June 2004

The USA's Department of Defence is planning tests that could impact on
the ability of cell phones to communicate off the Atlantic coast near
North Carolina. The US Coastguard says that boaters will be unable to
rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment because of scheduled
disruptions from Friday, June 11 to Sunday, June 20 that will affect
mariners transiting the waters off North Carolina including Albemarle
Sound, Pamlico Sound and Coastal North Carolina from Currituck Beach
Light to Cape Lookout.

GPS interference-testing conducted during an exercise by the Department
of Defense will make the GPS signal unreliable from about 50 to 60 miles
off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. and approximately 80 miles between
Jacksonville and Melbourne, FL.

The Coast Guard fully supports the efforts of the Department of
Defense during this important exercise, said Rear Admiral Sally
Brice-O Hara, Commander of the Fifth Coast Guard District. But,
we must get the word out to impacted mariners so they can take
necessary precautions to keep themselves safe during this busy
boating season.

The coastguard says that mariners planning voyages using the Atlantic
Intracoastal Waterway (AIWW) should not rely on GPS nor cell phones from
June 11th to the 20th.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/