Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon, Nextel Continue 800 MHz Feud

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:07:59 -0400

Verizon, Nextel Continue 800 MHz Feud
BY SUSAN RUSH
JUNE 10, 2004

The FCC may have put off any decision on what to do with in the jumbled
800 MHz band, but the move seems to have turned up the heat among
opponents who remain at odds on the issue. The latest: Nextel
Communications and Verizon Wireless continued to duke it out this week
in hopes of swaying the FCC to their point of view.

On Friday, Nextel offered up an additional two MHz of 800 MHz spectrum
to give to public safety. In a letter to the FCC, Nextel senior vice
president Robert Foosaner said the move would "nearly double the amount
of 800 MHz band spectrum Nextel would contribute to public safety under
the Consensus Plan to a total of 4.5 MHz -- a nearly 50 percent increase
over today's public safety 800 MHZ allocation of 10 MHz." Nextel
reinforced its latest proposal with another follow-up letter to the
commission yesterday.

Verizon Wireless vehemently opposed Nextel's latest proposal in a biting
letter of its own to the commission. "Nextel's new proposal is far more
beneficial to Nextel than public safety," the letter said. The letter
went on to say that Nextel's new proposal does nothing to ensure
sufficient and legally sustainable funding for solving the public safety
interference. "Nextel has not offered one additional cent to public
safety," it says.

Verizon contends that Nextel's plans will result in another $762 million
coming to the company, which is on top of a multi-million-dollar
windfall Verizon has said Nextel will benefit from if the so-called
Consensus Plan is adopted. Nextel has contested these claims.

Verizon Wireless supports a proposal by CTIA that would give Nextel
space at 2.1 GHz, not 1.9 GHz, and require Nextel to plunk down a $3
billion deposit for a trust fund for public safety licensees.
During remarks to reporters following the FCC's regular monthly meeting
today, Chairman Michael Powell had this to say about the pending 800 MHz
decision:

"Stay tuned. We're close." Powell refused to provide a timeframe for any
decision, however, saying he's learned from past experience that delays
in the proceeding are a regular occurrence.

http://www.prophecydesigns.net/Professional_Relaxation.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/