Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel awarded wireless priority service contract. - Wow nextel is now GSM! NOT :):)

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:10:45 -0400

Nextel awarded wireless priority service contract
By Jeffrey Silva
June 23 16:32:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—The National Communications System today said Nextel
Communications Inc. has been awarded a wireless priority service
contract. NCS, a unit of the Department of Homeland Security, said
Nextel should offer the service in initial markets this summer and
expects wireless priority service to be fully deployed across its
nationwide network by the end of the year. Terms of the deal were not
disclosed.

Nextel is the second national GSM wireless carrier to snag a government
WPS contract. T-Mobile USA Inc. has the other major contract.

Work is under way to develop a CDMA solution for wireless priority
service. CDMA technology is used by Verizon Wireless and Sprint PCS.

Wireless priority service provides authorized federal, state, and local
government leaders as well as key private-sector leaders and
decision-makers with the ability to have calls moved to the head of the
queue in an emergency.
WPS does not interfere or interrupt consumer wireless calls already in
progress, however.

“The addition of Nextel Communications to the WPS program puts the NCS a
major step closer to meeting the long-term objective of ensuring that
nationwide, ubiquitous, end-to-end communications are readily available
to key national security and emergency preparedness personnel during
times of emergency,” said John Graves, program director for the NCS’
Government Emergency Telecommunications Service and WPS. “The NCS is
working hard to ensure the nation’s emergency leaders and responders
have ready access to this critical service.”
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=607

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:26:59 -0400

If I had any lingering temptation to become a Nextel subscriber, this
killed it.

	Wireless PAS:  Get less.

-Alan Dixon
"The Washington Iconoclast"

> > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:10:45 -0400 [email-masked] 
> > writes:

Nextel awarded wireless Priority [Access] Service contract
By Jeffrey Silva
June 23 16:32:00, 2004

Nextel is the second national GSM wireless carrier to snag a government
WPS [sic] contract. T-Mobile USA Inc. has the other major contract.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18607

[* The correct official name/acronym for this 
feature is wireless Priority Access Service (PAS), 
per 47 CFR Part 20, et al.  -A.D.]

--

 
Yahoo! Groups Links