Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Three, Two and The Rescue- FDNY Makes a "Rope Rescue". This is why they call them "Da-Bravest"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:52:00 -0400

Three, Two and The Rescue- FDNY Makes a "Rope Rescue". This is why they call
them "Da-Bravest".

FDNY Firefighters Save Seven in
Burning Residence With A Series of
Daring, Dangerous Rescues

ERIN CALABRESE
Courtesy of New York Post

June 13, 2004 -- Firefighters saved seven people from a Bronx inferno
last night with a series of daring and dangerous rescues, fire officials
said. The blaze broke out on the top floor of a three-story Bruckner
Boulevard building in Longwood just after 7 p.m., causing dozens of
firefighters to spring into action.

When the smoke-eaters arrived, they quickly realized that they were
facing a multifaceted rescue that included rushing into the building,
bringing people down on a ladder and scaling down ropes to pluck people
out of windows.
Maximo Vasquez, 53, was brought out of the building by a firefighter,
but his unidentified girlfriend had a much more harrowing experience.

A number of firefighters climbed onto the roof from an adjoining
building and lowered down Firefighter Pat McKenna of Rescue 3 and
another firefighter on ropes in order to grab the girlfriend and another
man and lower them to safety.
"It was very, very hairy," said Lt. Kevin Williams, who added that the
billowing smoke and intense heat almost caused the panicking woman to
jump out the window.

Firefighter Dennis Quinn of Ladder 42 used a ladder to pull three
children -- a 3-, 5- and 7-year-old -- and another woman out of a front
window.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=31632