Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel's 900

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:24:24 -0400

Marcel, Just a need to rant .
----- Original Message -----
From: Cathy Sutter
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 7:09 AMSubject: Nextel's 900
 How come Verizon and CTIA don't challenge the fact that Nextel has
never built out their 900MHz channels ?  Even after the lame ( pico cell
technology stall )  used to convince the FCC to grant another 18 month
waiver.....Nextel has still built nothing.  I have made several calls
researching this matter and to date the only systems using 900 are in
New York and El Paso.  These are just verbal verifications none that I
can verify are active.  Even so, two markets out of the whole US doesn't
even put a dent in the   "Substantial Service"  term documented in the
FCC rules.   The fact Nextel is willing to cough them up as trade in the
consensus plan was a red flag that nothing was ever built. Why doesn't
the FCC hold them accountable to the  build out rules like everyone
else?   The 900SMR construction rule is for   "EACH "  MTA throughout
the United States.  Nextel owns 95% of them for over 8 years now yet
nothing is even close to Substantial Service. It's just another example
of how the enforcement division looks the other direction when it comes
to Nextel.  Even the recent  900 auction of  licensee's who failed to
meet their five year construction date had to give the spectrum back.
Why didn't Nextel have to forfeit theirs ?    More shocking,  was
Nextel's blessing by the FCC to bid and dominate that particular auction
when   THEY   were the worst offenders of the 5 year build out rule.
You'd think the FCC would of checked that before allowing them to
bid....and then granting them more spectrum on top of the questionable
channels they currently own. One can only wonder what the FCC would of
done to me had I not met the 3, 5 and 10 year build out criteria for my
MTA here in Arizona ?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:59:47 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Nextel's 900

Robert and others:

Nextel has been operating on 900 MHz, digitally, for at least a year. 
One
of my concerns was newfound intermod at nearby colo sites, or at worst,
a
desense condition due to wide adjacent skirts.  (No, I don't mean loud,
chubby women in any way...)

I've met with several licensees, engineers, and senior Nextel management
on
this issue.  For the time being, no interference has been found. 
However,
as others relocate to "quiet" channels - those not built out, but
licensed
and prepared to be swapped - no one will really know what will happen. 
Yes,
it is a concern, but truly no one can predict who will get exactly what
channel and how close it may be frequency-wise or geographic-wise to
preexisting licensees.

Just my opinion...

Todd Ellis
Ellis Consulting LLC

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/