Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Connection To An External Hard Drive

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:18:02 -0400

Wireless Connection To An External Hard Drive

Contributed by Mike Masnick on Monday, June 14 2004 @ 7:25pm

I have a fairly convoluted set of alternate backup systems that seems to
get more complex every time I have yet another catastrophic hard drive
failure (such as the latest, which occurred two weeks ago). Right now I
have two external USB hard drives, one Mirra backup server, and an
offsite service that scoops up data off of my computer every few hours
and stores it in some hidden location. The second USB hard drive is
because the latest hard drive failure (only a week after I had been told
the machine had been "fixed") happened while I was away and didn't have
access to the other USB hard drive that remained at home, or the Mirra
server which only accepts backups on the local network. The offsite
remote backup worked, but was slow and had limited space. So, I ended up
with another external hard drive to save whatever data I could get off
the old hard drive before it kicked it for good. When I got back home
and went back to my old crappy desktop (which is here for just these
circumstances) I discovered that the USB connections on this machine no
longer work - so I can't actually access the data saved on the hard
drive (though, I can access older data on the Mirra device).
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get data from the hard drive to the Mirra
device, so I'm basically stuck until I get my laptop back and it has a
working USB system. With that backdrop in mind, it's great that Maxtor
and Linksys are teaming up to offer a wireless way to connect to an
external hard drive. Basically, they've created a bridge that lets an
external hard drive connect directly to a wireless router (which, in
some ways, just mimics what the Mirra backup server is supposed to do,
though with fewer features). Either way, it looks like backup systems
are getting easier and easier, meaning no one has any excuse not to have
something set up these days. Of course, the next time my hard drive
fails, I'm sure I'll need to pick up one of these new systems.

www.techdirt.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/