Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Supercomm 2004 In Brief- (We are all here!)

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:00:22 -0400

Supercomm 2004 In Brief
BY SUSAN RUSH
JUNE 22, 2004

Day 1: The exhibit floor at Supercomm 2004 officially opens today in
Chicago.  Although the show's focus is on the communications and
networking sectors at large, plenty of wireless-related news it being
unveiled. Here's a glimpse...

Motorola is showcasing a new 900 MHz Canopy wireless broadband product
portfolio, which includes a pair of 900 MHz radio configurations. One
product will feature an external antenna that enables public and private
network operators to equip modules either with directional or
omni-directional antennas for specific network needs, while the other
product will sport an integrated version with a 60-degree antenna. Both
products are designed to provide a consistent 3.3 Mbps signaling rate
and can reach subscribers more than 40 miles away depending on
conditions.  Motorola also announced it has joined the WiMAX Forum.
Fabless semiconductor company Motia announced it has secured $12 million
in third round financing. Although the round was led by Prism Venture
Partners, part of the investment was contributed by the Intel
Communications Fund. The investment in Motia is the first WiMAX-related
investment the Intel Communications Fund has made. Motia develops smart
antenna technology that can be integrated into wireless system
providers' products.

Wireless broadband networking equipment provider SkyPilot Network is
using Atheros Communications' AR5002X chipset in its SkyPilot System.
The Atheros chipset, which is integrated into the SkyGateway,
SkyExtender and SkyConnector Indoor and Outdoor devices, delivers high
data transfer rates up to 54 Mbps and supports the latest wireless local
area network security standards. The SkyPilot System is designed to
increase coverage area and capacity while reducing the total cost,
according to the company.  U.S. Robotics has unveiled a new USB print
server and a variety of 802.11g 2.4GHz antennas. The USB print server is
designed to make it easier for small and medium-sized businesses to
network and share a USB printer by eliminating the need for an "always
on" dedicated PC for printing, the company says. Also on display is a
host of new networking accessories, including the USR5480 4 dBi Desktop,
the USR5481 5 dBi R-SMA antenna and the USR5482 9 dBi Patch antenna.

Sonus is demonstrating the capabilities of its voice over Wi-Fi Insignus
Softswitch. The softswitch, which features the ASX Access Server, now
supports voice services on Wi-Fi telephones, the company says.  Pronto
Networks has signed on a new distributor of its backoffice public Wi-Fi
solutions. Under the terms of the deal, Graybar will distribute Pronto's
complete line of public Wi-Fi products, including the turnkey Wi-Fi
appliance and carrier-grade Wi-Fi OSS software.  MapInfo is showcasing
its MarketNetPlanner, a Web-based network planning and demographic
analysis solution. MarketNetPlanner is designed for both wireless and
fixed networks. The product can assist telecom carriers in making
decisions about cell site selection, fixed wireless deployment, RF
propagation modeling, fiber network buildout, cable overbuild and signal
analysis.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=06/22/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/