Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Carrot & Stick: Nextel Ponies Up More Public-Safety Space

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:15:13 -0400

Carrot & Stick:  Nextel Ponies Up More Public-Safety Space

June 07, 2004  

Nextel Communications has upped the ante regarding the 
amount of spectrum it would contribute to the public-safety 
sector, should the FCC adopt the carrier’s Consensus Plan 
regarding rebanding at 800 MHz. 

During a meeting last week with Bryan Tramont, FCC 
Chairman Michael Powell’s chief of staff, Nextel Senior VP 
Robert Foosaner, himself a former Wireless Bureau chief, 
offered to “enhance the Consensus Plan by contributing an 
additional 2 megahertz of 800 MHz spectrum to public-safety 
systems. This would nearly double the amount of 800-MHz 
band spectrum Nextel would contribute to public safety under 
the Consensus Plan to a total of 4.5 megahertz -- a nearly 
50-percent increase over today's public-safety 800 MHz 
allocation of 10 megahertz.”

This extraordinary offer, perhaps the killer incentive that will 
move the process along to Nextel’s desired end of gaining 
replacement channels in the 1.9 GHz band, also includes 
interference protection and some provide 40 more 800 MHz 
public-safety communications channels in markets nationwide. 

There also are homeland-security implications. According to 
ex parte papers filed at the FCC, Nextel’s Government Affairs 
VP Larry Krevor wrote, “Nextel’s increased spectrum contribution 
to the Consensus Plan will help the commission respond to the 
many urgent calls to action on establishing interoperable 
communications across jurisdictions and agencies,” thus giving 
Tom Ridge at the Homeland Security Department an answer to
his interoperability plea. 

Commissioners continue to ponder the 800-MHz hot potato, 
and no date -- aside from “soon” -- has been assigned for a ruling.

 http://www.telecomweb.com/news/1086621670.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/