Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Voice over IP solution for mobile radio interoperability

From: Chuk Gleason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:58:42 -0400

FWIW, some very experienced two-way radio people have described this reaction, by the users themselves, to setting up a 
patch/link/"interoperation" between say Fire & Police:  

"Why am I hearing PD on my Fire channel??????!!!!!!!!!  I don't wanna talk to them!!!!!!!!"

"Why am I hearing Fire on my PD channel??!!!!???!?!??!?  I don't wanna talk to them!!!!"

And how about a poll for the group:  Those trunk systems that support Dynamic Regrouping, or similar:  How many times have you set it 
up in the past year?  Two years?  Ever??  What was the reaction of the users??

Chuk Gleason
Cary, NC
(call me the skunk at the garden party, or the guy who farts in church...)

6/2/04 4:27:53 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>________________________________________________________________________
>
>Message: 1
>   Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:57:45 -0400
>   From: Stephen Verbil <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Voice over IP solution for mobile radio interoperability
>
>Top posting seems appropriate here...
>
>This is another great idea that ignores the fact that:  differing departments 
>that need to talk to each other do not often have overlapping radio coverage 
>from both of their systems at the incident site, so this system of a central 
>server and associated clients at each department interfaced with their radio 
>systems does not solve the problem.  It brings up the same problems we have 
>always dealt with when trying to use console patching in the real world.
>
>Nice try, though....

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:11:01 -0400

Patches are only set up when specifically requested by command staff in the
field, and never on a primary dispatch channel. They know the patch is in
operation because they request it.

Patches are used frequently on our system and always properly established
and provide excellent capabilities. Recently, when the female biker went
over the bridge on I-40 we used a patch to connect a Life Flight helicopter
to Police units clearing the Landing Zone.

During the same event, we used a patch to connect UHF sheriff channel to 800
MHz OPS talkgroup to coordinate traffic control with PD and HP.

Meanwhile a permanent patch was connecting a County Fire talkgroup to a VHF
freq for VFDs.

Experienced two way radio people must have not been observing experienced
Public Safety Telecommunicators and providers.

Rik Rasmussen
Communications Maintenance Administrator
City of Durham, NC
919-560-4175 x 244
919-560-4400 fax

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chuk Gleason [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 9:59 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Voice over IP solution for mobile radio
> interoperability
>
>
> FWIW, some very experienced two-way radio people have described
> this reaction, by the users themselves, to setting up a
> And how about a poll for the group:  Those trunk systems that
> support Dynamic Regrouping, or similar:  How many times have you set it

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 00:37:17 -0400

Right now there are no less than (6) TRP-1000 set up at the G8 summit. ATF can
speak to the FBI, local PD can speak to either. Local FD can speak to another FD
in the county and so. There are numerous trunk systems set up for the G8 and
they ALL have some sort of patch via VoIP or hardwire. This is going to and
excellent test for the TRP-1000, initial testing has gone well.

On another the ATL PD maintains a permanent UHF/ 800 Mhz patch for their COMNET
program (http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=comnet). This allows business / private Security people to contact PD over the
air. They are currently patched to the "Homicide" talked group which get little
traffic. Patrol officers can access the talk group and speak directly to the
civilian. The programed has worked well for over 15 yrs.

In NYPD has a similar setup except the system is not directly linked to the
radio, however the desk SGT. has a PD & Civilian radio side-by- side so they can
relay info to the responding sector car. This has also help  many officers
Collar-Up over the years.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:07:13 -0400

From the Nextel-1 Archives-
---------------------------------------------------------------
From:  [email-masked]
Date:  Mon Oct 27, 2003  1:56 pm
Subject:  Project 54 Where Are You?

http://www.project54.unh.edu/

  http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/12963

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:08:32 -0500

>(call me the skunk at the garden party, or the guy who farts in church...)
Ah yes. The church pew ...

*groan*

-rick

 
Yahoo! Groups Links