Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Orange Launches World's Smallest Smartphone

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 04:07:03 -0400

Orange Launches World's Smallest Smartphone

Contributed by Derek Kerton on Tuesday, June 8 2004 @ 11:54am

France Telecom mobile arm, Orange, launched the SPV C500 on Tuesday. The
Microsoft OS-based smartphone is the smallest such phone released to
date. The phone is manufactured, as the previous SPV (Sound, Pictures,
Video) by HTC of Taiwan. But the more interesting part of the article is
where it describes that Orange will be demanding more customized phone
models from vendors starting later this year. Apparently, Orange already
has a list of 200 customizations that it requires in a handset, but most
of these are software-based. Going forward, they will demand
customizations in the plastics, and other hardware components. This will
reduce the brand equity of the Nokias of the worlds, and transfer it to
the carriers.  I discussed this growing trend last August. The net
result is that increasing business will go to contract manufacturers in
Asia, smartphone OS vendors will see increased opportunity in providing
their platform, and by and large consumers will see better terminals
sold cheaper, but they may find themselves more locked-in to their
carrier by carrier-specific handsets.

==================================================================
USA Today

Posted 6/8/2004 5:29 PM

Orange launches world's smallest
smartphone
By Lucas van Grinsven, Reuters

AMSTERDAM — France
Telecom-owned mobile operator Orange on Tuesday launched a new
smartphone that is one third smaller than its predecessor and said the
handset is the world's smallest that can handle computer applications.

More
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2004-06-08-small-smart-orange_x.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/