Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NSF On -Programmable Wireless Networking

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:09:43 -0400

Research in Networking Technology and Systems (NeTS)

Program Solicitation
NSF 04-540

[National Science Foundation
Directorate for Computer and Information Science and
Engineering
Division of Computer & Network Systems

Focus Area 1: Programmable Wireless Networking

Wireless systems today are characterized by wasteful static spectrum
allocations, fixed radio functions, and limited network and systems
coordination. This has led to a proliferation of standards---such as
Wi-Fi/802.11, Bluetooth, 3G, 4G, CDMA, and GSM---which in turn has
encouraged stovepipe architectures and services and has discouraged
innovation and growth. Two urgent issues are the increasing interference
in unlicensed frequency bands and low overall spectrum utilization.

The Programmable Wireless Networking focus area will address these
issues
by supporting the creation of innovative wireless networking systems
based
on programmable radios: wireless, frequency-agile data communication
devices with rich control and monitoring interfaces. The objectives are
to

* Capitalize on advances in processing capabilities and radio technology
and on new developments in spectrum policy;

* Improve connectivity and make more effective use of shared spectrum
resources; and

* Enhance the wireless networks community by intermixing the networking,
radio, and policy communities, integrating education with research
through focused activities, and diversifying participation.

Programmable radio systems offer the opportunity to use dynamic spectrum
management techniques to help prevent interference, adapt to local and
current situations, provide greater quality of service, deploy networks
and create services rapidly, enhance interoperability, and in general
enable innovative and open network architectures through flexible and
dynamic connectivity. However, experimental research in innovative
wireless networking systems has been hindered by a lack of programmable
radio platforms. Such research is typically confined to commercially
available platforms that offer only limited flexibility and that are
insufficient to allow exploration of new approaches. This focus area
will facilitate experimental research by making programmable,
frequency-agile radios available to the research community and by
encouraging research into ways to use them effectively.

Programmable wireless networks will need to route messages through the
network and interoperate with the larger Internet, manage spectrum
resources dynamically, self-organize with a rapid initial configuration,
accommodate mobility, support a variety of network services, use
adaptation to ensure quality of service, and support multiple users and
domains. It is anticipated that this focus area will, within a few
years, result in multiple programmable wireless radio platforms,
prototypes of dynamic spectrum management systems, and prototypes of
wireless networks that exploit the capabilities of dynamic radios.
In order to realize this vision, the Programmable Wireless Networking
focus area seeks research proposals on the following topics:

* Dynamic Spectrum Management Architectures and Techniques. Research in
this area will develop spectrum management architectures and techniques
that exploit the capabilities of programmable wireless systems. These
architectures must be secure and robust, offer quality of service
capabilities, and provide for policy enforcement. They might be
broker-based, sensing-based, or follow other approaches.  Evaluation of
architectures and techniques is a necessary part of these efforts, and
it should include consideration for the relationship between the
architectures and possible spectrum policies.

* Topology Discovery and Optimization and Network Self-Configuration.

Projects will develop algorithms for topology discovery and optimization
in programmable wireless networks and protocols for subsequent network
configuration. By simultaneously using multiple spectrum regions,
frequency-agile radios offer the capability to construct more complex
topologies than have heretofore been possible with traditional radio or
wired networks. Proposed algorithms must determine what topologies are
possible and how to choose among them, and protocols must automatically
configure the network based upon the topology chosen. Research efforts
must include evaluation methods for the network architectures and
protocols.

* Routing and Topology Policies and Interactions. Routing and topology
policies designed for programmable wireless networks will be critical to
automating network use and configuration across multiple domains.
Interdomain routing is currently limited to static policies tuned to
particular sets of peers, and many mobile routing approaches make
implicit assumptions regarding administrative and security domains and
policies. Flexible wireless topologies imply more opportunities for
connectivity with a larger set of other nodes from different
administrative domains. Proposed research efforts will create policy
frameworks and flexible, automatic routing and topology algorithms and
protocols that provide for diverse policies. Proposed efforts will also
create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for inter-layer and
inter-plane awareness that can be used to implement interactions between
policy, network, and internetwork routing and topology.

* Programmable Radios for the Community. Projects will develop and
possibly disseminate the programmable, flexible radios needed for
experimentation and evaluation of algorithms and systems. These radios
must be agile in RF carrier frequency (e.g., from base band to 6 GHz)
flexible in bandwidth (e.g., several tens of MHz), and flexible in
waveform (e.g., A/D and D/A driven and generated/processed by
programmable DSP and/or FPGAs). The DoD's Joint Tactical Radio System
(JTRS) is an example of this type of radio. Projects may construct and
evaluate programmable radios, or they may create partnerships that
provide usable radios already developed through other government or
commercial activities. Individual projects funded in this area must make
available a non-trivial number of radio units (e.g., ten or more) as
well as APIs and documentation. The expectation is that these radios
will be used for experimentation by other researchers in the community.
These projects must provide milestones for delivery of versions of the
radio systems.

For further information, visit the focus area web site at
http://www.cise.nsf.gov/prowin/.  Proposals on other wireless networking
topics should be submitted to the general NeTS program rather than to
this focus area.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2004/nsf04540/nsf04540.txt
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/