Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [CAP] PPW Launching CAP Users' Group

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:48:33 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Art Botterell <[email-masked]>
Subject: PPW Launching CAP Users' Group

Friends -

Now that we have an initial standard, there seems to be interest in 
having an open "users group" forum where folks doing actual 
implementations in the warning and notification area can discuss the 
nuts-and-bolts of applying interoperability standards.  The 
Partnership for Public Warning has taken the initiative to launch a 
"Uniform Standards for Alerting Working Group" (USA-WG) to support 
these efforts.

We'll be launching this effort with a conference call on Wednesday, 
June 16 at 1:30 PM Eastern time.  (See RSVP info below.)  We'll also 
be establishing a new email list... the registration page is 
<http://www.incident.com/mailman/listinfo/usa-wg>.  (I'll admit that 
the idea of rolling over to a new list has a bit to do with the 
volume of spam I have to filter out of this one.)

The agenda will be for the users to set, but in the near term I'd 
expect we'll be discussing three general kinds of issues:

   1) Infrastructure issues that affect a range of message types, 
including but not
   limited to CAP;

   2) Application-specific profiles for using CAP in specific 
circumstances (e.g., for
   EAS); and,

   3) Potential refinements and/or extensions to the CAP spec itself
that can be
   forwarded to the OASIS standards technical committee.

The focus of the USA-WG will be on real-world experience and actual 
applications.  I hope everyone actively involved in CAP-based 
development, whether a member of PPW or any other formal organization 
or not, will take part.

- Art

The formal announcement from PPW appears below:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Partnership for Public Warning

June 7, 2004

MEMORANDUM

FROM:	KEN ALLEN, Executive Director

SUBJECT:	CAP and Beyond -- Standards for Public Warning

The purpose of this memorandum is to invite you to participate in a 
new and important initiative to develop and promote standards for 
public alerting and warning. 

With the recent adoption of the Common Alerting Protocol, a major 
step was taken towards more effective public warning systems. 
However, more remains to be done.  First and foremost, it is 
important that CAP be promoted to the user community and its use 
encouraged.  Second, there will be technical and operational issues 
that will arise from the implementation of CAP that must be 
addressed.  Third, it is important to ensure that CAP is deployed in 
ways that are compatible with related standards activities such as 
the Consumer Electronics Association's "Public Alert" technical 
specification.  Fourth, attention must be paid to refining CAP and 
addressing other high priority issues that may require standards, 
such as common terminology.  These issues can and should be addressed 
through a collaborative process of stakeholders.

The Partnership for Public Warning's "Uniform Standards for Alerting 
(USA) Working Group" will support the implementation of 
standards-based warning architectures by providing an open and 
neutral forum in which industry, government and academe can discuss 
and develop solutions to any barriers to real-world use of alerting 
standards.

The goal of the USAWG is to promote and facilitate deployment of 
standards-based warning systems through an open process of discussion 
and collaboration. 

Specific activities of the USAWG are expected to include creation and 
maintenance of email discussion groups and archives, virtual and 
in-person meetings, and sharing of information and experiences with 
interested parties.  Other activities such as publications, 
interoperability trial events, educational activities, etc., will be 
undertaken as resources become available.

Participation in the USAWG is open to all interested parties, whether 
or not they are members of the Partnership for Public Warning.  Feel 
free to share this invitation with other interested persons and 
organizations.  Art Botterell, the initiator of the CAP development 
effort, has agreed to serve as the initial chair of this group.

The first conference call of the USAWG has been scheduled for 1:30 PM 
on Tuesday, June 16, 2004.  I urge you to participate in this call to 
help us craft the agenda and work plan for this important initiative.

Please let me know ([email-masked] or (703) 883-7620) if you will be 
joining us and so we can provide you with the phone number for the 
conference calls.  Thank you in advance for your attention to this 
matter.
--------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CAP-list mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.incident.com/mailman/listinfo/cap-list

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/