Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Companies Still Not Locking Up Wi-Fi Networks

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:42:58 -0400

Companies Still Not Locking Up Wi-Fi Networks

Contributed by Mike Masnick on Tuesday, June 8 2004 @ 6:19pm
After years of stories about problems with WiFi security, you would
think that corporate IT staff would realize that they need to properly
secure their WiFi networks. It doesn't take that much work to make it
pretty difficult for someone to break into a wireless network. However,
80% of networks at companies tested around the world apparently showed
no security. Many of the companies tested were large multi-national
companies and banks, and they were just as bad at not protecting their
networks. The numbers sound quite high, but if they're true, IT staffers
deserve to be fired. Still, I'm a bit skeptical of the numbers, since
they are from a "wireless security company" who has incentive to pump up
the numbers.

====================================================================================

Four-fifths of networks bleeding Wi-Fi data
By Robert Jaques [08-06-2004]

Most businesses routinely broadcast company information over the
airwaves

The vast majority of global business
networks are routinely suffering from
large-scale data loss and manipulation as
the advent of wireless technology makes
them vulnerable to malicious attack by
hackers, new research has claimed.
According to a report from global wireless
security company Red-M, most global
businesses are at risk because they have
not secured their wireless infrastructures.
The six-month study of 100 companies
across the globe, including large
multinational corporations covering a range
of industry sectors, found that 80 per cent of
corporate networks are accessible from
outside their buildings.

Two thirds of banks, 60 per cent of financial

services institutions and all education institutions leaked data, the
study claimed.  Karl W Feilder, chief executive at Red-M, said in a
statement: "Most businesses have not yet grasped the fact that once
there is any sort of wireless device on their premises - and today you
have to presume there is at least one device in your company - it acts
as a point of insecurity by broadcasting company information over the
airwaves.

"Sitting in your parking lot up to 300ft away from your building with a
laptop and an inexpensive piece of software, an outsider could easily
see the information being freely broadcast.  "They could receive network
traffic, and could wreak havoc by exposing confidential and sensitive
company information and manipulating data."

Feilder went on to warn that companies which had not installed any
wireless technology were also at risk because wireless is shipping in
devices from PDAs and mobile phones to notebook computers.

He pointed out that Intel's Centrino wireless capability was embedded in
42 per cent of notebook computers shipped last year, and will be in 90
per cent of notebooks shipped this year.  "Whether you're using that
wireless capability or not, every wireless notebook represents a clear
and present danger to the security of your computer network," warned
Feilder.  "Wireless technology cannot be tethered, measured or
controlled by traditional network security."
http://www.pcw.co.uk/News/1155700

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/