Subject: [NEXTEL-1] HR 4386 IH- 9/11 Can You Hear Me Now Act

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 03:46:22 -0400

9/11 Can You Hear Me Now Act (Introduced in House)
HR 4386 IH
108th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 4386

To direct the Secretary of Homeland Security to procure the development
and provision of improved and up-to-date communications equipment for
the New York City Fire Department, including radios.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
May 18, 2004

Mrs. MALONEY (for herself, Mr. SHAYS, Mr. RANGEL, Mr. NADLER, and Mr.
MCNULTY) introduced the following
bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL
To direct the Secretary of Homeland Security to procure the development
and provision of improved and up-to-date communications equipment for
the New York City Fire Department, including radios.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
States of America in Congress
assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `9/11 Can You Hear Me Now Act'.
SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds the following:
(1) After two terrorist attacks it is time to fix the communications
system for the New York City Fire Department.

(2) During its response to the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center in
New York City, the New York City Fire Department's radios did not work
in the twin towers of the World Trade Center. The resulting lack of
communication complicated operations but did not result in the death of
any firefighter.

(3) Eight years later, on September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center was
attacked again and the fire department's radio system failed again.

(4) Soon before the collapse of TowerOne of the World Trade Center, fire
department officials tried in vain to radio firefighters to evacuate the
building.

(5) The firefighters' radio system failed the firefighters in Tower One
and as a result many were not able to receive this warning. The failure
of the radio system was largely responsible for the death of many of the
343 firefighters who died in the collapse of the World Trade Center twin
towers.

(6) Since September 11, 2001, the fire department has taken steps to
improve the communications system that failed them. However, many tall
buildings in New York City have not installed repeaters that are needed
to boost signals, and the signals are often lost in high-rise buildings
and underground.

(7) In August 2003, New York City experienced a blackout. During the
blackout the fire department's radio system was again found not to work
reliably during emergency situations or in high buildings.

(8) The dispatch system currently used by the New York City Fire
Department was acquired in the early 1970s and hampers the ability of
the department to fully communicate with its firefighters and provide
appropriate detailed information about the buildings and locations to
which they respond.

(9) Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, executive branch
officials have repeatedly warned that future terror attacks are not a
matter of if, but when. The Secretary of Homeland Security has
identified New York City as one of the main terrorist targets.

(10) With New York City remaining a top terrorist target, such
communications system should be a national priority.

(11) A new state-of-the-art communications system and upgrades to the
critical information dispatch system for the New York City Fire
Department should be--

(A) seamless from the receipt of a 911 call to the dispatch of the
firefighter; and

(B) interoperable with other public safety offices within the City of
New York.

SEC. 3. REQUIREMENT TO PROCURE COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM FOR NEW YORK CITY
FIRE DEPARTMENT.

(a) In General- The Secretary of Homeland Security shall, by not later
than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, procure
development and provision of a communications system for the New York
City Fire Department, including appropriate radios for the entire
department and upgrades to the critical information dispatch system of
the department.

(b) Requirements-

(1) Radios- Radios procured pursuant to this section must be capable of
operating in all locations, and under all conditions, in which
firefighters can reasonably be expected to work in responding to an
emergency in New York City.

(2) Supplemental communication device- Any communications system
procured pursuant to this section must include provision to each
firefighter of a supplemental radio communication device that--

(A) allows the firefighter to transmit audio and radio emergency
notification warning signals to other firefighters whenever the
firefighter is in distress and in immediate need of assistance; and

(B) has the capability to operate automatically in a passive mode by
transmitting audio and radio messages that will relay the firefighter's
identification and location if the firefighter--

(i) becomes incapacitated and motionless; and

(ii) is unable to physically transmit a call for help.

(3) Dispatch system- Upgrades to the critical information dispatch
system procured pursuant to this section must--

(A) allow the fire department to communicate with firefighters in all
locations, and under all conditions, in which firefighters can
reasonably be expected to work in responding to an emergency in New York
City;

(B) provide useful, detailed data concerning all likely terrorist target
locations in the City of New York; and

(C) be capable of providing to responding firefighters, instantaneously,
details about particular buildings and other locations to assist them in
making decisions about how to mitigate a terrorist attack and save lives
and property.

(c) Testing- Radios, any dispatch system upgrades, and supplemental
communication devices procured pursuant to this section must have been
tested to ensure they will operate in all locations and under all
conditions in which firefighters can reasonably be expected to work in
responding to an emergency in New York City.

(d) Coordination- In carrying out this section the Secretary shall
coordinate with the City of New York to ensure that the communications
system procured under this section is--

(1) compatible with the plans of the City of New York to upgrade its 911
system; and

(2) interoperable with other public safety communications systems.

(e) Progress Report- The Secretary shall submit to the Congress a report
on progress made in carrying out this section, on--

(1) February 26, 2005; and

(2) September 11, 2005.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:48:./temp/~c108xwbDcE::
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/