Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Witness Testimony Mr. Gary Grube, Motorola V.P. CGISS- On Interoperability Between Public Safety Communications Systems

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:55:41 -0400

Witness Testimony Mr. Gary Grube Corporate Vice President & CTO,
Commercial, Government & Industrial Solutions Motorola Inc. Protecting
Homeland Security: A Status Report on Interoperability Between Public
Safety Communications Systems

Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet

June 23, 2004
1:30 PM

Testimony
of
Mr. Gary Grube
Corporate Vice President & Chief Technology Officer
Commercial Government and Industrial Solutions Sector
Motorola
Before the US House of Representatives
Subcommittee on Telecommunications & the Internet
June 23, 2004

Good afternoon, Chairman Upton, Ranking Member Markey and Members of the
Subcommittee.
My name is Gary Grube, and I am the Chief Technology Officer of
Motorola’s business sector that serves state and local public safety and
Federal law enforcement customers.  I have worked with the 1st responder
community for nearly 25 years.
I want to express my appreciation to you, Mr. Chairman, for scheduling
this hearing to address such an important issue as improving
interoperability for our nation’s Police, Firefighters, Emergency
Medical Personnel and Federal agents. It is an honor to be here with you
today to discuss mission critical interoperable communications
capabilities.

I would be remiss if I did not thank you, Chairman Barton, and Ranking
Member Dingell for the excellent work you undertook earlier this month
in marking up the Select Committee on Homeland Security’s DHS
authorization bill.  It now addresses the need for the deployment of
communications equipment based on national voluntary consensus
standards.  As you know, a standard called “Project 25” is the open
standard that has been endorsed by every major law enforcement
organization in the country.  And, because it delivers true
interoperability, the FCC has set P25 as the interoperability standard
in the 700 MHz band.

This hearing also follows quite nicely the one you held on June 2nd on
the DTV transition.  You heard testimony from Mr. Ferree on the FCC’s
Media Bureau Plan to advance the DTV transition and thereby provide
needed spectrum to public safety by the start of 2009.  Motorola is
highly encouraged by this initiative.  At that hearing, the Committee
leadership sent a real message that change is afoot and that the
American public and their heroes can look forward to date certain
availability for spectrum for critical interoperable communications.
Chairman Barton’s powerful words and proposal resonated with us and the
public safety community, and we’d like to express our deep appreciation
for the positive direction he is setting for this debate.

I also want to thank the other Members of this Committee, notably
Congressmen Fossella, Stupak, and Engel who have been exploring ways to
usher in new 1st responder high-speed communications and to find
additional funding mechanisms to enable them.

Meeting these communications needs is critical to the safety and well
being of our first responders and the entire American public they
serve.  I am pleased to be with you today to support your efforts to
achieve our shared goal of meeting public safety’s communications needs.

I’d also like to note that it is good to be at the witness table with
David Boyd, who heads the SAFECOM program at the DHS.  Mr. Boyd works
very closely with State and local 1st responders and is very supportive
of their interoperable communications equipment needs.

Motorola is a leading provider of communications and information
solutions, with more than 65 years of experience in meeting the mission
critical needs of our public safety customers.  We offer an extensive
portfolio of solutions specifically designed to meet the rapidly
evolving safety and security needs of these customers.  Our solutions
include interoperable mission-critical radio systems based on the P25
public safety interoperability standard; command and control solutions;
identification and tracking solutions; information management for
criminal justice and civil needs; and physical security and monitoring
solutions.
In 2002, my business sector in Motorola received the Malcolm Baldrige
National Quality Award, the nation's premier award for performance
excellence and quality achievement.  We continually strive to translate
the quality processes upon which this award was based into high quality
and reliable communications systems for our public safety customers.
Motorola works very closely with our customers to help them implement
communications capabilities needed for both every day mission critical
needs and catastrophic events.

Public Safety Requires Dedicated Mission Critical Systems

Our partnership with the public safety community over the years has
taught us that first responders need systems designed specifically for
mission critical operations to get the job done.  As with most of the
Northeast and Midwest, the State of Michigan was confronted with a
large-scale emergency during the August 2003 blackout.  Despite the
failures experienced by various commercial carrier networks in Michigan
and surrounding states due to these power outages, Michigan’s nearly
12,000 public safety radios experienced no interruptions in
communications.  Police officers, firefighters and EMS providers worked
as a team in real time to serve the public.  Michigan had control over
its communications because it had created a statewide critical network
designed specifically for catastrophic situations and events, including
the disruption of normal power sources.  While many public safety
entities also use public carrier networks for less critical
communications, there is no substitute for mission critical systems when
the safety of first responders and the public they serve is at risk.

True Interoperability Requires a Sustained Focus

Ask any firefighter, police officer or EMS provider and they will tell
you that the ability to communicate reliably, instantly and securely is
one of the most critical factors in managing a crisis situation.  For
almost all first responders, a handheld radio device is their
communications lifeline – giving them the ability to communicate during
a crisis situation.  While the most visible part of the communications
system to first responders and the public, these handheld devices must
be supported by communications network infrastructure.  Together the
system of infrastructure and radios must be designed to provide the
necessary coverage, capacity, reliability and features required for
mission critical operations.  Yet, despite the Federal prioritization of
homeland security, a large number of first responder radio systems are
not yet truly interoperable and simply cannot talk to each other in a
crisis situation.  While public safety agencies are making progress on
improving communications capabilities and interoperability, much more
remains to be done.  This problem will not be solved overnight.  There
is no “quick fix” solution for true interoperability.   Providing true
interoperability for the nation’s first responders will require a
multi-year dedication and focus on the part of Congress, the public
safety community and industry.

There are four key foundation blocks to achieving improved public safety
communications capabilities and interoperability.  These are 1)
sufficient spectrum, 2) adequate funding, 3) use of standardized mission
critical technology, and 4) operational planning and practice.

I’ll address these briefly, and then in more detail.

Spectrum that could significantly improve interoperability of public
safety communications has been allocated but is not yet accessible in
most major markets.  Additional spectrum allocations are also needed.
The Administration and the Congress have begun to fund the various grant
programs administered by the Departments of Justice and Homeland
Security and to set interoperability as a high priority for these
funds.   However, the level of funding in general and the amounts set
aside for interoperable equipment purchases must be increased
significantly and sustained over multiple years to deliver on this goal.

Interoperability standards that meet public safety needs and are open to
all manufacturers have been established for voice and data communication
and for wideband services.  A broadband standards development initiative
is also underway.  Communications technology meeting the Project 25
(P25) voice and data interoperability standard developed by the public
safety community and industry is available from multiple equipment
vendors.  Wideband and broadband technologies capable of meeting public
safety’s increasing need for high speed data and imaging have been
developed and are being trialed.
Finally, Pubic safety users realize now, more than at any time in
history, the value of planning and practice among multiple agencies,
jurisdictions, and levels of government.

The remainder of my testimony addresses in more detail the four
foundation blocks and what Congress can do to help public safety improve
communications capabilities and interoperability.

REAL ACCESS TO MORE PUBLIC SAFETY SPECTRUM IS ESSENTIAL.

As discussed above, effective mission critical mobile and portable
communications systems are absolutely essential to public safety
operations.  Police officers, firefighters, emergency medical personnel
and their departments use mobile and portable communications to exchange
information that can help protect public safety officials and the
citizens they serve.  Traditionally, this information was mostly
exchanged by voice.  Increasingly, as public safety entities strive to
increase efficiency and effectiveness in today’s world, they also need
the capability to transmit and receive high performance data, still
images and video reliably.  Spectrum is the road upon which such
communications travel, and increased communications requirements lead to
the need for more spectrum.

Based on a thorough justification of need, Congress and the Federal
Communications Commission dedicated 24 MHz of spectrum in the 700 MHz
band to State and local public safety in 1997.  The FCC established
specific nationwide interoperability channels within this spectrum
allocation, as well as both narrowband and broadband channels to support
a variety of identified public safety communications requirements.

However, seven years later, incumbent television stations operating on
channels 62, 63, 64, 65, 67, 68 and 69 prevent public safety access to
this essential resource in most major urban areas where the demand for
more spectrum is the greatest.  The recent focus on increased
interoperability and Homeland Security make availability of this public
safety spectrum nationwide even more critical.

These channels are critical to public safety for two reasons:
(1)   Together, the new 700 MHz and current 800 MHz bands provide the
best opportunity to integrate interoperable communications.  The 700 MHz
band’s proximity to the 800 MHz band allows public safety agencies to
expand their current 800 MHz narrowband voice and data systems for
interoperability and regional coordination on an “intra” as well as
“inter” agency basis.  Equipment operating in these combined frequency
bands on the FCC endorsed Project 25 interoperability standard is
commercially available today.  The FCC has granted each state a license
to operate such narrowband communications in the 700 MHz band.
Localities throughout the country are actively engaged in spectrum
planning at 700 MHz, a prerequisite for obtaining their own FCC
licenses.   For example, after a yearlong review by the FCC, the
Southern California regional plan was recently approved, but TV
incumbency prevents actual use of the spectrum in much of that area.

(2)   700 MHz is the only dedicated spectrum allocation where public
safety can implement advanced mobile wide area systems that bring
high-speed access to databases, the intranet, imaging and video to first
responders out in the field.

This technology offers a whole new level of mobile communications
capabilities, which is far beyond today’s voice and low speed data
applications. For example:
a.     An officer or agent could transmit video of a potential bomb, or
biological weapon and get real time counsel from an expert in another
location.

b.     Local or state police could instantly send or receive a
photograph of a missing or abducted child.
c.      Crime scene investigators can transmit live video of footprints,
fingerprints and evidence to speed analysis and apprehension of
perpetrators.

d.     Firefighters can access building blueprints, hydrant locations
hazardous material data and other critical information.
e.     Paramedics can transmit live video of the patient to doctors at
the hospital that would help save lives.

Motorola previously conducted wideband trials together with public
safety entities in Pinellas County, Florida and the City of Chicago, and
we are currently participating in the District of Columbia’s broadband
trial.  As to the Chicago trial, we greatly appreciate Chairman Upton
leading a delegation of Committee Members, including Congressmen Bass,
Rush, and Terry to participate in a demonstration last year with the
Chicago Police Department.  We would like to encourage a similar
delegation to see the outstanding broadband trial that is being led by
Robert LeGrande on behalf of the DC Government.  We are proud to be
working with him on an innovative solution that will deliver powerful
applications to the frontline 1st preventers here in our Nation’s
Capitol.   All of these trials operate under experimental 700 MHz
licenses from the FCC. The capabilities demonstrated are the emerging
powerful multi-media applications that will bring public safety
communications into the Twenty-First Century.

Public safety users and industry finalized the wideband interoperability
standard, TIA902, through the Telecommunications Industry Association
(TIA).   Public safety has recommended that standard to the FCC for the
700 MHz wideband channels, and we are anxiously awaiting FCC action on
that request.  Right now, actual product development could proceed as
soon as we know with certainty that this spectrum will be available
nationwide to the public safety community.

Unfortunately, most metropolitan area public safety operations cannot
use this spectrum today, nor can they predict with any certainty when
they might have access to these frequencies because of incumbent TV
operations.  Therefore, public safety users in most cities cannot
deploy, or firm up plans for the actual deployment of, improved
interoperability and advanced capabilities that will improve their
effectiveness and safety.

Current law and policies set December 31, 2006 as the date for clearing
television from the band.  However, this is not a firm date.
Broadcasters do not have to clear the band until 85% of the households
in their service areas have the capability to receive digital TV, an
environment unlikely to be met in most markets by yearend 2006 under the
current rules.  Under current law, while TV incumbents are required to
vacate this spectrum at the end of 2006, they can receive an unlimited
extension of this deadline based on the state of the transition in their
particular market.  So, in reality, there is no “hard date” when the
transition will end and the spectrum will really be accessible to public
safety everywhere.  This is not the optimal situation for the public
safety community and those they serve.  We commend and encourage efforts
by this Subcommittee and the FCC to ensure that this spectrum is cleared
nationwide for public safety use no later than yearend 2006.

The reality is that 5% of this country’s TV stations are blocking
improved public safety communications for 84% of the population in the
largest cities, those over 200,000.  Of that 84%, more than two-thirds
have no access to the spectrum, while the remaining third have only
limited access.  When we look at all areas of the country, rural as well
as urban, 54% of our country’s population is totally blocked by this
relatively small number of TV stations from receiving any benefits of
public safety communications in this band.

In a hearing before this Subcommittee in June, 2003, Greg Brown of
Motorola testified about the need for access to the 700 MHz spectrum.
During that hearing, Subcommittee Members acknowledged this need, but
also discussed the potential impact on some TV operations of setting a
firm date for broadcasters to finally return their analog TV channels in
the 700 MHz band.
The concerns expressed at that hearing spurred us to perform a study to
determine the impact on the viewing public of clearing that spectrum.
That study “700 MHz TV Clearing and its Impact on TV Viewership” is
attached in its entirety.  As shown in this study, the potential harm to
the viewing public is limited.  And the benefit to public safety is
dramatic.

First, only 75 stations, equaling less than 5% of the more than 1500
U.S. TV stations, affect public safety’s availability of its
Congressionally mandated 700 MHz band frequencies.  Second, Motorola’s
analysis of independent television industry data shows that, on average,
only 14% of the TV households who have the option to view these stations
actually do so at all, and that of those viewing, 82% watch by cable.
This means that, on average, only 3% of the TV households within these
stations’ coverage areas actually tune to these stations over-the-air
sometime during an average week.

The Committee is also aware of an FCC plan that would complete the
analog to digital TV transition by January 1, 2009.  We applaud the FCC
for taking the leadership and initiative to move the debate toward a
successful conclusion.  While 2009 may be an appropriate date by which
all 1500 or more TV stations would complete the transition, the public
safety community has stated that its needs justify clearing the 5% of
stations blocking its 700 MHz band channels by 2007.  By yearend 2006,
public safety will have waited almost ten years to access this spectrum.

As noted above, very few TV households would notice any significant
impact of clearing this spectrum for public safety.  Those that do could
be provided with an inexpensive digital-to-analog over-the-air converter
box.  Motorola is a TV set-top box provider.  That business unit is
presently completing its analysis, and we expect to place on the record
at the FCC a sub-$100 estimate per unit for an over-the-air
digital-to-analog converter that would help to facilitate a Berlin
Model-type solution in the US.  We understand the Committee and the GAO
are already reviewing the actions undertaken in Berlin, Germany to
ensure a seamless and pain-free crisp analog to digital TV transition.
This was achieved through the provision of converter boxes to some TV
consumers who did not subscribe to cable or satellite service and
maintained an analog TV set.  We believe this is a positive step that
could provide a real path forward on how to solve the transition here in
the U.S.

Congressional action is required to ensure that TV incumbents return
this critically needed spectrum, without exceptions, by a firm date --
which should be no later than yearend 2006.

We urge the Committee not to be deterred from setting this goal because
it has been hard to achieve to date.  Rather, once it has been set, the
affected parties, including the public safety community, the FCC and
NTIA, the involved broadcasters and other affected parties, including
our company, should be called upon to devote our energies to making it
happen.
As you know, the 24 MHz of spectrum in the 700 MHz band is allocated for
State and local public safety use.   That spectrum, if cleared, would
only partially satisfy the spectrum need documented by the public safety
community.  No comparable spectrum exists for meeting the Homeland
Security requirements of Federal agencies or critical infrastructure
entities.  Such interoperability among State and local first responders,
Federal agencies and critical infrastructure entities will best be
achieved through the availability of comparable spectrum resources.
Therefore, we recommend that Congress consider meeting these additional
needs by reallocating the remaining 30 MHz of commercial spectrum in the
747-762 MHz and 777-792 MHz portions of the band which are presently
targeted for auction.  This spectrum should be reallocated as a Homeland
Security band to support State, local, Federal and critical
infrastructure (such a utilities and nuclear facilities) communications
needs.
We also note that a spectrum coalition headed by Mr. LeGrande, in the
District of Columbia Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO), has
requested that 10 MHz of additional spectrum at 700 MHz be designated
for broadband use.  Since that 10 MHz falls within the 30 MHz
recommended for reallocation here, we believe that request and
reallocation of the 30 MHz are complementary to one another.   Motorola
is quite pleased to be one of the partners with OCTO in trialling 700
MHz broadband systems and public safety applications.

As part of this reallocation, Congress should charter a committee of key
representatives from major public safety associations, Federal agencies
and critical infrastructure entities to determine how that additional 30
MHz of spectrum should be distributed among State, local, Federal and
critical infrastructure entities.

Should the government wish to pursue this important reallocation of
spectrum, anticipated auction revenue from these 30 MHz of spectrum
would no longer be available.  However, we believe substitute spectrum
that could provide potentially stronger auction receipts can be
identified to replace this anticipated revenue and could be used to
support a Berlin Model-type subsidy solution domestically.  Motorola
greatly appreciates this Committee’s continued policy thrust to find
ways to reinvest spectrum auction revenues in ways to advance technology
deployment and economic development, whether it is the Commercial
Spectrum Enhancement Act that this body passed last year and is under
active consideration in the Senate, or the Chairman’s proposal to use
auction revenue to help support the return of the analog TV frequencies
for other valuable services – including interoperability.

PROJECT 25 IS THE U.S. INTEROPERABILITY STANDARD FOR
MISSION CRITICAL OPERATIONS

In addition to spectrum access, standardized technology is critically
important to achieving interoperability.  Fortunately, the public safety
community and multiple manufacturers have partnered to develop a suite
of standards for interoperability known as Project 25.

Public safety users adopted the P25 standard in order to implement an
open standard that promotes interoperability and system migration, and
enables more competitive procurements for digital radio systems and
radios -- thereby eliminating dependence on one vendor for radios, even
after their systems have been installed.

P25 is actually a full suite of standards that, when built into
communications equipment, provides the basis for interoperable digital
radio voice and low-speed data communications among multiple public
safety users, departments and agencies.  These standards were developed
under the auspices of, and are published by, the Telecommunications
Industry Association (TIA), and accredited by the American National
Standards Institute (ANSI).  Public safety users led the development of
the standard and have the option to choose Project 25 products from
multiple vendors.

Unlike many other communications standards and technologies in the
broader wireless industry, the unique mission critical requirements of
public safety users drove the development of the P25 suite of standards.
High priority was given to public safety’s operational and tactical
requirements.  For reasons of cost effectiveness, the Project 25
standards permit a graceful migration path from aging analog to new
digital systems.  These standards promote improved spectral efficiency,
and, as intended, allow for multi-vendor equipment offerings. Radios
that meet the P25 standards incorporate backward compatibility with
conventional analog systems. Project 25 radios communicate in analog
mode to analog radios, and either digital or analog modes with other P25
radios.

Public safety users at all levels of government have embraced Project
25.  For example, P25 has received the endorsement of the National
Association of State Telecommunications Directors (NASTD), the
Association of Public Safety Communications Officials – International
(APCO), the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), the
International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC), the Major Cities Chiefs
(MCC), the National Sheriffs’ Association (NSA), and the Major County
Sheriffs’ Association (MCSA).

Project 25 has received broad support at the Federal level as well.
Based on public safety user recommendations, the FCC endorsed the
Project 25 suite of standards for voice and low-speed data
interoperability in the new nation-wide 700 MHz frequency band.  Every
700 MHz radio must include Project 25 compatibility defined by this
TIA/ANSI standard, and the FCC set P25 as the required mode of operation
on the 700 MHz interoperability channels.  The U.S. Department of
Defense mandated P25 for new land mobile radio systems.  The Department
of Homeland Security has also endorsed P25 as the preferred standard for
digitally trunked radio systems as part of its Federal grant guidance.

Interoperability Funding Should Be a National Priority

Full public safety communications interoperability within the decade
should be a national goal.  This is an ambitious goal, but a very worthy
and doable one.  Our nation has the necessary technology, the standards
and equipment.  After spectrum, what is lacking are the economic
resources to acquire the equipment and deploy the systems, particularly
at the state and local level, and we will not achieve this goal at the
present pace of system upgrades.  Instead, it will require a commitment
lead by determined champions.  Mr. Chairman, I urge this Committee to
assume this important role.

There are several reasons why the Federal government must take the
lead.  As we all know, homeland security is a Federal, State and local
responsibility, but national planning begins at the Federal level.  This
is one of the reasons why the Congress and the President created the new
Department of Homeland Security.

While we cannot predict future terrorist attacks, we must prepare for
the real possibility and threat.  Also, we do know that we will face
natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornados, wildfires, and
earthquakes and other threats such as hostage takings, hazardous
materials spills, and train wrecks.  Interoperable public safety
communications are critical to effective response in all these cases.

The states face a staggering $80 billion aggregated deficit in FY2004
alone, and this puts serious limits on their spending.  As a result,
they cannot be expected to accomplish this goal without substantial
Federal support. Accordingly, we need a well-funded, multi-year Federal
program that guarantees that this communication problem is fixed, once
and for all.
Consequently, we must work aggressively to increase the funds devoted to
interoperable communications now and until the job is done.  Nothing
should be allowed to delay or impede this funding effort.  In FY 2004,
approximately $4.4 billion was appropriated for Federal equipment grant
programs for State and local first responders.  However, wireless
communications is only one of a large number of allowed uses for these
funds.  Only about $85 million or 2% of the total was designated in the
legislation specifically for wireless communications enhancements.  We
would ask for your help to increase the sums designated for wireless
communications in light of the broad consensus that exists for improving
the status of wireless communications interoperability among government
entities.  If we are going to fix the interoperability problem we must
have a well-defined goal, a program to achieve that goal, and a way of
measuring programs that is visible to the Congress.
We certainly cannot afford the human costs associated with delaying
achievement of full interoperability.
Planning and Practice are also Essential for Interoperability

Planning for interoperability at the operational level is also a key
element of improving interoperability.   In situations where multiple
agencies and jurisdictions have planned operational procedures and
practiced that plan, interoperability has improved.  For example,
multiple agencies can decide in advance how best to organize
communications groups to support the various responders at an incident
scene.  Practice drills help public safety responders become familiar
with these procedures so they can be more easily implemented at an
actual emergency incident.

Planning and practice are supplements to, not substitutes for, adequate
spectrum, funding and technology.  All elements of the foundation need
to be in place to improve public safety mission critical
interoperability and capability.  While Congress has the greatest
influence over the interoperability building blocks of spectrum and
funding, public safety agencies are the focal point for planning and
practice.

Mr. Chairman, ensuring that our nation’s public safety officials have
the tools they need to protect our citizens in the years ahead is a
sound investment for the entire country.  We urge this Committee to
clear spectrum for public safety and to champion investments in
interoperability for all public safety radio users.  Motorola pledges
its support to our public safety customers and to this Committee to help
you make this happen.
Thank you.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/