Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Sets Vote On Updating School Spectrum For Internet]

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:22:23 -0400

=DJ   FCC Sets Vote On Updating School Spectrum For Internet 
(2004/06/03 7:15PM) 
 
   By Mark Wigfield 
   Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES 
 
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The Federal Communications Commission is set 
to vote next Thursday on a plan that would reconfigure a long-
underused block of spectrum so it can accomodate wireless high-speed 
Internet services. 

Among the largest holders of the spectrum is Nextel Communications 
Inc. (NXTL), which told the FCC last fall that it had purchased 
extensive spectrum licenses from the former WorldCom. Wireless 
industry pioneer Craig McCaw has also been purchasing licenses in 
the band with an eye toward providing wireless broadband. 

There appears to be broad consensus about the FCC's plan to 
reconfigure the 190 megahertz of spectrum, an amount roughly 
equivalent to that set aside for mobile phone service. However, 120 
MHz of the spectrum was bequeathed decades ago to educational 
institutions for instructional video services, and a proposal by FCC 
staff to allow schools to sell the spectrum has been controversial. 

The business community, which is allowed to lease most of the school 
spectrum under current rules anyway, has largely stayed out of the 
debate. But most educational institutions filing comments with the 
FCC have opposed changing the rules to allow the spectrum sales, 
likening the idea to selling national parks. 

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., whose Senate Commerce Committee oversees 
the FCC, has also opposed allowing school spectrum sales. 

But the business and educational community alike are hopeful that 
reconfiguring the band will make the airwaves more useful. 
Currently, rules for use of the airwaves are rigid in order to 
protect educational video. 

Under the new plan, video and mobile data uses would be separated, 
and interference rules would be rewritten to accomodate the new 
uses. 

"Everyone feels it is coming together," says Andrew Kreig, head of 
the Wireless Communications Association. The trade association over 
the years has represented companies that have tried to use the 
airwaves for wireless television cable systems and fixed wireless 
broadband that have generally fallen far short of expectations or 
failed outright. 

FCC Chairman Michael Powell could still pull the item from next 
week's agenda if a majority for the item can't be reached on the 
five-member commission. Indeed, Powell has not yet made up his mind 
on the school spectrum sale, according to a person familiar with the 
matter. 

Democrat Michael Copps has voiced opposition to the school spectrum 
sale. 

However, Powell strongly backs the technical reorganization of the 
band to facilitate broadband. A staff proposal to reclaim some of 
the airwaves for sale to new entrants has been scuttled, according 
to the person knowledgeable about the matter. 

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR20040603460_3e8a00123edb623d

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/