Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FanScan Service Delivers Real-Time Driver and Team Audio Listening Capability, Sharing Team Strategy Like No Other Sport Can and Putting Fans in the Middle of the Action

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:06:56 -0400

Nextel Launches Exclusive NASCAR Wireless
Service - Further Providing Fans
Unprecedented Immersion Into America's Most
Popular Racing Series
Thursday June 24, 3:00 pm ET

FanScan Service Delivers Real-Time Driver and Team Audio Listening
Capability, Sharing Team Strategy Like No Other
Sport Can and Putting Fans in the Middle of the Action

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 24, 2004-- Nextel Communications
Inc.  (NASDAQ:NXTL - News), the title sponsor of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup
Series(TM), announced today the launch of Nextel FanScan In-Car Audio -
an exclusive, first-of-its-kind wireless service that allows NASCAR fans
to listen on any Nextel® phone to live radio communications between
drivers and their teams during races. Now when fans are not at the track
on race day and from anywhere on Nextel's all-digital network, fans can
access thrilling firsthand accounts from drivers, crew chiefs, owners,
spotters and other team members. Fans can hear how cars are handling,
pit stop strategies, track conditions and celebratory banter throughout
the race to the checkered flag.  Nextel FanScan In-Car Audio is powered
by SportsCom and XSVoice.

"FanScan delivers fans with an
exclusive audio pit crew pass. Fans
can now virtually ride shot gun with
their favorite drivers from the comfort
and convenience of their living room
couch or wherever else they happen
to be on race day," said Mark
Schweitzer, senior vice president of
marketing for Nextel. "FanScan is the
latest example of how Nextel is
redefining the role of 'title sponsor' in
professional sports. Nextel's
affiliation with NASCAR is based
entirely on how we can leverage our
core competencies in wireless
communications to enhance the fan
experience. As a technology
company that always strives to offer
what is first, better and different, Nextel is uniquely positioned to
provide fans with unprecedented ways to go beyond being spectators,
immersing them in the entire experience so that they are part of the
action."

Fans will still use traditional short-range "scanners" exclusively at
the track, but when they can't attend a race, FanScan provides them with
a service that is similar in quality to a scanner but with a reach of
thousands of miles instead of hundreds of feet.  FanScan is the perfect
complement to tuning into NASCAR TV and radio coverage, providing a more
in-depth and interactive experience. No other sport allows fans to hear
the inside strategy of teams like FanScan offers. For example, pitching
or sideline coaches never share their discussions during games.

FanScan subscribers can choose to hear audio from nine featured driver
teams for every race. These nine featured teams may vary from week to
week. For example, for this weekend's race in Sonoma, these driver teams
will be featured:

#2 Rusty Wallace
#6 Mark Martin
#8 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
#12 Ryan Newman
#15 Michael Waltrip
#24 Jeff Gordon
#29 Kevin Harvick
#48 Jimmie Johnson
#88 Dale Jarrett

From the nine featured teams, FanScan subscribers can change which one
to hear throughout the race. They can also choose the "All-Scan" option,
which automatically scans conversations from the nine featured teams -
plus an additional 15 other top-driver teams. Listeners will hear the
car number of the team communication prior to listening to their actual
correspondence.

Nextel customers can sign up for FanScan via their computer at
www.nextel.com/fanscan or via their phone on the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup
Series(TM) section of Nextel Online®. They can subscribe for a
promotional price of $4.99 for a race and $9.99 for all the races in a
month.(1) The FanScan service is accessed solely as a phone call. Nextel
Online service is not required to subscribe or access the FanScan
service.

NASCAR fans can choose from a variety of motor-sport-themed products,
wireless services and applications from Nextel including:

NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series i736 mobile phones, which feature the number,
signature and unique design and colors of ten different drivers,

including Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, Jr.;

NASCAR.COM Mobile, a wireless website with NASCAR.COM news and NASCAR
NEXTEL Cup Series content;
NASCAR.COM Alerts, which automatically sends text messages with breaking
NASCAR news;
NASCAR.COM To Go, a JAVA(TM) application which provides NASCAR news,
driver information, qualifying and race results and a live leader board;

NASCAR-themed wallpapers and ring tones, which allow fans to customize
their mobile phones with race sights and sounds.
High-resolution images of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series i736 mobile
phones are available at
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=E69277. For more
information about NASCAR offerings from Nextel, visit
www.nextel.com/nextelcup.  (1)Charges do not include any applicable long
distance or per minute usage charges which apply.

About Nextel
Nextel Communications, a FORTUNE 200 company based in Reston, Va., is a
leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications services
and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the
country covering thousands of communities across the United States.
Today 95 percent of FORTUNE 500® companies are Nextel customers. Nextel
and Nextel Partners, Inc. currently serve 296 of the top 300 U.S.
markets where approximately 252 million people live or work.
About Nextel Partners

Nextel Partners, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTP - News), based in Kirkland, Wash.,
has exclusive rights to offer the same fully integrated, digital
wireless communications services offered by Nextel Communications
(Nextel) in mid-sized and rural markets in 31 states where approximately
53 million people reside. Nextel Partners and Nextel together offer the
largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country serving
296 of the top 300 U.S. markets. To learn more about Nextel Partners,
visit www.nextelpartners.com.

About SportsCom

SportsCom, Inc. is a leading developer of live event programming and
technology. The company, based in Atlanta, has spent a decade delivering
live racing audio to fans across the nation. SportsCom provides its
programming and technology to several partners, including Nextel
Communications, various broadcast and cable programming distributors,
and a number of Fortune 500 corporations.

About XSVoice

XSVoice is a wireless platform and application developer based in
Nashville, Tenn.  Through its proprietary SWInG (Streaming Wireless
Internet Gateway(TM)) platform, XSVoice enables mobile access to
virtually any type of live and on-demand streaming audio content. With
deep industry expertise, extensive partnerships, resources and proven
experience in creating mobile solutions, XSVoice can develop and deliver
informative and entertaining products and services for today's wireless
user.

Contact:
Nextel Communications Inc., Reston
Media Contacts:
Aaron Radelet, 703-433-8246
or
Mike Mooney, 704-632-7909
or
Joel Shadle, 703-433-4654
or
Investor Contact:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040624/245516_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:18:42 -0400

Hmm.........

I did not know Part 90 allowed you  to "Rebroadcast" audio on the SMR
band........
This opens up a world of possibilities!

 
Yahoo! Groups Links