Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Airlines win Wi-Fi management battle with airports

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:32:16 -0400

Airlines win Wi-Fi management battle with airports
The FCC claims exclusive jurisdiction over the unlicensed Wi-Fi spectrum

News Story by Bob Brewin

JUNE 25, 2004 (COMPUTERWORLD) - Airlines won a key battle in their fight
with airports over control of the Wi-Fi spectrum yesterday when the
Federal Communications Commission ruled that it -- and not local
authorities -- has "exclusive jurisdiction" over the use of unlicensed
spectrum.

Airports such as Logan International in Boston, which is run by the
Massachusetts Port Authority, contended they had the right to manage
spectrum within their boundaries to eliminate interference. Massport and
Denver International Airport have installed shared-use Wi-Fi networks
offering paid public Internet access, as well as access for the
airlines. But the airport operators wanted to require the airlines to
pay to use the networks for wireless bag scans, check-in systems and
other applications.
The Massport wireless network went into operation just this week.

The Industrial Telecommunications Association, a McLean, Va.-based trade
group that represents airlines and other industries regarding spectrum
issues, saw the airports' efforts to control spectrum as a bottom-line
issue (see story). In a filing with the FCC in March, the ITA said the
"sole motivational goal" of those efforts "is to increase airport
revenue."

The ITA had asked the FCC to assert its authority over spectrum and to
"prohibit airport authorities from limiting or restricting tenants from
implementing and operating a wireless system." In its decision, the FCC
came down soundly on the side of airlines and other users of spectrum in
multi-tenant environments, which would include airports, hotels and
conference and convention centers.

The FCC said in its ruling that "we reaffirm that, under the
Communications Act, the FCC has exclusive authority to resolve matters
involving radio frequency interference when unlicensed devices are being
used, regardless of venue."
Laura Smith, ITA president and CEO, called the ruling "a big score for
our airline members." Until the decision came down, ITA member airlines
"had experienced a significant amount of difficulty" in deploying their
own wireless systems because of airport mandates that tenants pay to use
a shared wireless system.

Jenna Obluck, a spokeswoman for the United Air Lines Inc. division of
Elk Grove Township, Ill.-based UAL Corp., said the "the FCC has made the
right decision. United can now install Wi-Fi systems in our tenant
space, bag rooms, bag-claim areas and on the ramp without months of
negotiations and unnecessary costs."

Chuck Cannon, a spokesman for Denver International -- which is operated
by the city of Denver -- declined to comment on the FCC ruling because
its attorney believes "the matter is still in litigation."
Massport officials didn't return calls from Computerworld for comment.
http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2004/0,4814,94124,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/