Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NYC Plans Giant Safety Net

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:41:50 -0400

NYC Plans Giant Safety Net

By Glenn Fleishman
Special to Wi-Fi Networking News
Permanently archived item <http://wifinetnews.com/archives/003912.html>

[1] Computerworld reports that New York City will build a wireless
network to supports 10,000s of public-safety users at speeds of up 70
mph: Bids are expected next month. They'll start with a three-month
pilot project to test with multiple bidders, and then award a five-year
contract with the potential for two five-year renewals. 

The bid's spec apparently calls for two Mbps access and simultaneous
streaming for 1,000s of users. The first phase would support about 5,000
fire, police, and emergency medical personnel.

The full cost could be $500 million to $1 billion, but the city won't
confirm it. Mesh architecture is practically a necessity, the article
quotes experts as saying. Tropos says they could deploy such a network
with 600 of their access points in the 2.4 GHz band. More would be
needed to use the 4.9 GHz public-safety band. Lucent suggests that EvDo
running at 2.4 Mbps in the 1.9 GHz band would be an option as well.

URLs referenced:
[1]
<http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,93952,00.html?f=x68>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/