Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel hopes for final spectrum decision in July

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:22:05 -0400

Nextel hopes for final spectrum decision in July

NEW YORK, June 3
(Reuters)

06.03.04

Nextel Communications Inc. Chief Executive Tim Donahue
said on Thursday he hopes U.S. regulators will reach a final
decision by July on its proposal for solving interference
between its mobile network and public safety communication
systems.

Donahue said he hoped Nextel's talks with the Federal
Communications Commission would conclude by the end of
this month.

"I'm hoping to have it on the docket in July," he said of the
decision, at a New York investor conference organized by
investment firm Friedman Billings Ramsey.

Nextel has offered to pay $850 million to help move communications
for emergency workers such as police and firefighters to new
airwaves, but its plan has irked rivals as it would give Nextel valuable
airwaves.

Asked if the FCC has sought more money for this spectrum,
Donahue said, "That discussion hasn't come up."

Rival Verizon Wireless, has argued that Nextel should have to pay
more for spectrum it wants in the 1.9 Ghz airwaves. Verizon has also
said it would bid at least $5 billion for this spectrum if it were
auctioned
off publicly.

Donahue repeated his stance that alternative airwaves, such as the
2.1 Ghz band that the FCC is considering offering the company
instead of the 1.9 Ghz spectrum it wants, would be "unequivocally,
unquestionably" unacceptable.

"We're in discussions right now to make sure everybody has a fair
understanding," said Donahue, who noted that the 2.1 Ghz spectrum
would not be a fair trade for airwaves Nextel has offered.

Nextel has said it needs the 1.9 Ghz spectrum to develop high-speed
wireless services. It is testing high speed gear from a new Jersey
start-up Flarion.

Nextel shares closed up 2 cents to close at $23.25 on Nasdaq.

Copyright 2004, Reuters News Service
http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/06/03/rtr1394832.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/