Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AVIATION SECURITY-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:15:11 -0400

Highlights of GAO-04-728, a report to congressional requesters

June 2004

AVIATION SECURITY

Further Steps Needed to Strengthen the
Security of Commercial Airport
Perimeters and Access Controls

TSA has begun evaluating the security of airport perimeters and the
controls that limit access into secured airport areas. Specifically, TSA
is conducting compliance inspections and vulnerability assessments at
selected airports.  These evaluations—though not complete—have
identified perimeter and access control security concerns. While TSA
officials acknowledged that conducting these airport security
evaluations is essential to identifying additional perimeter and access
control security measures and prioritizing their implementation, the
agency has not determined how the results will be used to make
improvements to the entire commercial airport system.  TSA has helped
some airport operators enhance perimeter and access control security by
providing funds for security equipment, such as electronic surveillance
systems. TSA has also begun efforts to evaluate the effectiveness of
security-related technologies, such as biometric identification systems.
However, TSA has not begun to gather data on airport operators’
historical funding of security projects and current needs to aid the
agency in setting funding priorities. Nor has TSA developed a plan for
implementing new technologies or balancing the costs and effectiveness
of these technologies with the security needs of individual airport
operators and the commercial airport system as a whole.TSA has taken
some steps to reduce the potential security risks posed by airport
workers. However, TSA had elected not to fully address all related ATSA
requirements. In particular, TSA does not require fingerprint-based
criminal history checks and security awareness training for all airport
workers, as called for in ATSA. Further, TSA has not required airport
vendors to develop security programs, another ATSA requirement. TSA said
expanding these efforts would require a time-consuming rulemaking
process and impose additional costs on airport operators. Finally,
although not required by ATSA, TSA has not developed a plan detailing
when and how it intends to address these challenges.

http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d04728high.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/