Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Delivering Wireless Data Are Public Networks as Fast as They Claim?

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:26:09 -0400

Field Report 

Delivering Wireless Data  Are Public Networks  as Fast as They Claim? 

Thanks to the recent explosion of new technologies available from public
network service providers, communications decision-makers now face a
bewildering array of wireless data choices. Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T
are just a few of the carriers offering wireless data connectivity to
consumers and businesses alike. New technologies, such as Verizon's
EV-DO (Evolution Data Optimized) and AT&T's EDGE networks, claim to
deliver wireless data at speeds ranging from 100 Kpbs up to more than
500 Kpbs. But are these claims true?

Recently MobilePC magazine (April, 2004) examined the performance of
solutions now available from major carriers. The conclusion: many users
will not experience the speed they may have grown accustomed to in
802.11 "hot spot" solutions. For enterprise or public safety
organizations, where data communications support mission-critical
functions, performance and reliability will play a larger role in the
procurement decision than advertised data transmission rates.

Real-World Transmission Rates
Significantly Slower than Advertised Claims

Public carriers are making a variety of claims about data speed. For
example, Verizon Wireless advertises data rates as fast as 144 Kbps for
its current CDMA 1xRTT solution, with average speeds between 40 Kbps and
60 Kbps. The MobilePC test showed a much slower rate, with an overage
download speed of 37.7 Kbps. Tests of Sprint and AT&T also revealed
average rates in the 20-40 Kbps range despite claims of higher speeds. 

So, who's telling the truth? The answer is simple: While optimum data
speeds claimed by the wireless carriers are true, those reported speeds
do not reflect real-world conditions. Geographic coverage, interference
and obstacles, and the number of users on a network have an impact on
data speed. That's why organizations should not depend on optimum speeds
as a determining factor in their procurement decisions.

"While optimum speeds are impressive, the reality is that public
networks cannot deliver a consistent level of performance," says Ray
Pache, Dataradio Director of Sales. "Even with fluctuations in
performance, public networks are still faster than most private wireless
solutions. However, for the low-bandwidth data delivered in
mission-critical services from utilities, major enterprises, or public
safety organizations, consistency is more important than data rates."

Growth in Usage on
Shared Networks Limits Future Data Speeds
 
According to a corporate wireless/mobility survey conducted by the
Yankee Group, 37% of large U.S. businesses have tested or launched wide
area mobile data solutions, and an additional 28% are planning
initiatives over the next two years. This growth in usage will create
congestion. As a result, speed and reliability will fluctuate, and
average speeds will go down.

Congestion is already a well known issue for wireless voice users, and
as more businesses jump into public network services, congestion will
become an issue for data solutions as well. For new EV-DO networks,
distance and congestion will have an effect on data speed, particularly
as the new data-only technologies require dedicated bandwidth that can't
be shared with voice users.

Mission-Critical Services Weigh the Value of Data Speed

Regardless of the performance issues inherent in emerging public network
technologies, solutions from major carriers will still offer higher
speeds than those delivered through private networks. This increased
speed can enable a variety of high-bandwidth applications or simply
allow anywhere access to the Internet. Nevertheless, there is no
guaranteed coverage with public network solutions-a downside that makes
public networks a less-desirable choice for mission-critical services. 

Still stinging from the expense of being forced off public CDPD
networks, many organizations are opting for private wireless systems.
Others are exploring new ways to combine the best of both worlds. They
are using public systems for high-bandwidth non-critical functions while
keeping their mission-critical functions on a private wireless system. 

Regardless of new claims by public networks, private wireless systems
continue to offer an essential level of dependability that critical
services require, showing that real-world performance and dependability
still remain the key drivers of wireless procurement decisions.

Source: DataRadio e-newsletter 05/27/04

DATA SPEED : 
A BRIEF COMPARISON

Major Carriers Offering 
High-Speed Wireless Data Services:

AT&T, Cingular, Verizon Wireless, Sprint

Advertised Data Rates (Optimum): 100-300 Kpbs

Average Data Rates 
(Typical Conditions):  25-40 Kpbs

Compared to:

. Dial-up Landline Solutions:  56 Kbps

. Wireless 802.11g:  54 Kbps

. Cable Modem:  Up to 3.5 Mbps

. DSL: 384 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps

http://www.dataradio.com/t

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/