Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Radio Hacker Hits The Indianapolis 500

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 00:22:09 -0400

Radio Hacker Hits The  Indianapolis 500
================================

NOTEBOOK
Hornish leads for bit, then hits pits

By DAVE KOERNER
[email-masked]
The Courier-Journal

INDIANAPOLIS  Sam Hornish Jr. led yesterday's Indianapolis 500 for the
first time in his career but then quickly encountered problems, starting
in his own pit.

Hornish, in his first season with legendary team owner Roger Penske,
finished 26th after a crash on the 105th lap that also forced Greg Ray
and Darren Manning out of the race.

Hornish claimed the lead on the 50th lap and surrendered it to
polesitter Buddy Rice on lap 59.
However, shortly before the crash, Hornish's pit crew had difficulties
removing a vent hose. As a result, Hornish pitted again on laps 101 and
102. On the 101st lap, the car stalled, costing Hornish several
positions.
"We knew we had to have perfect execution in the pits," Penske said.
"We didn't want to take a chance with the vent."

This was the fifth Indy 500 for Hornish, who has won two IRL season
point championships.
"We had a really super-fast race car," Hornish said. "It was our first
time to lead here. We'll keep going back until we get it done."

Radio pirate finds way into Fisher's ear

As Sarah Fisher slowed with the rest of the field during an early
caution, an unfamiliar but encouraging voice in her radio earpiece
suggested she move up in the race.

The advice wasn't from her pit crew. It came from a man claiming to be a
fan.
"Somebody named Tom got on the radio and told me to get up front,"
Fisher said.

A radio pirate who intercepted Fisher's race radio frequency chatted
with her periodically throughout the five-minute caution, suggesting she
needed to pass a few cars in advance of approaching rain and a race
delay, she said.
"I was like, `Hey, man, could you please get off the radio?'" Fisher
said, laughing.
The man eventually complied.

The interruption was not as disruptive to Fisher as another radio
problem. Before the pirate latched onto her frequency, contact with her
pit crew was broken up by interference from the track's race broadcast,
she said. That problem continued off and on most of the day.

Fisher, the third woman ever to qualify for the 500, started 19th and
finished 21st.

Gordon starts fast but has to leave

Robby Gordon's attempt at a double ended as soon as the race was stopped
because of rain after only 28 laps.
It generally takes 90 minutes to two hours to dry the track, so Gordon
quickly climbed out of his car and headed to a helicopter, which took
him to Charlotte, N.C., where he finished 29th in last night's Coca-Cola
600 Nextel Cup race while completing just 88 laps.

Gordon had moved up from 18th to ninth on the first lap.

"That was pretty cool. Actually, I think it was more like 10 cars," he
said of the number he passed.  "But I had to give up a couple of spots
because I had to check up (let up on the throttle) to avoid a couple of
other cars."

Jacques Lazier replaced Gordon. The last time a relief driver
participated in the 500 was Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon, who spelled John
Mahler in 1977.
Race delayed twice

The race started at 2:09 p.m. EDT &mdash; more than two hours later than
scheduled &mdash; because of morning rains. Rain later forced a delay of
1 hour, 47 minutes.

It marked only the third time the race was restarted on the same day
after a rain delay.
The 1926 event temporarily was stopped because of rain on the 71st lap
and was ruled official when rain again halted the race on the 160th lap.

The 2001 race was red-flagged on the 155th lap because of rain. It was
resumed under caution after a delay of 16 minutes, 34 seconds.

Foyt's two cars make quick exits

The afternoon ended quickly for team owner A.J. Foyt's garage.
Foyt's grandson, Louisville native A.J. Foyt IV, was the first driver
out of the race, completing only 26 laps.
He crashed in the fourth turn on lap 10. However, his crew was able to
work on the car's suspension during the rain delay. But handling
problems never were sorted out.

"He just ran out of brains today," the elder Foyt said. "He's 20 years
old and is eager and wants to be up front."
Said A.J. Foyt IV, who started 21st and finished 33rd: "I'm just really
disappointed right now. I don't know what to say. It was real stupid."

Foyt's other car, driven by his son, Larry, crashed on the 56th lap and
finished 32nd.
"We missed the setup a little bit on the car," he said.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.

http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2004/05/31/E3-ibook0531-5714.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/