Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Wireless Looks To Fix E911 Glitch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:06:57 -0400

Verizon Wireless Looks To Fix E911 Glitch
BY SUSAN RUSH
JUNE 17, 2004

E911 is a hot issue with everyone from folks in the wireless sector to
the federal government, so when a glitch hits emergency calls, it
attracts attention. Verizon Wireless has been alerted to a "handful" of
calls that have hiccupped during 911 calls placed by some of its
subscribers.

The glitch has occurred when the caller location technology used by
Verizon Wireless attempts to communicate with GPS to determine a
caller's location. "The good news is, the calls remain fully connected,"
Verizon Wireless spokesman Jeffery Nelson tells news@2. "The issue is
with a handful customers, who are in a Phase II capable area and have a
GPS-enabled phone, that are in a location where it is difficult for the
phone to connect with the satellite," he says. The customers are
experiencing some voice-in and voice-out problems, which means the voice
blanks a few seconds to find the satellite, but it doesn't lose the
transmission. "No calls have been lost," Nelson says.

Verizon Wireless was notified of the problem a few weeks ago and has
assembled a team to fix the glitch. "We are in the final stages of
determining the fix with Qualcomm," Nelson says. "We are...making things
better."
Sprint reportedly had a similar problem recently and was able to render
a fix.
Earlier this year, presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.,
outlined a plan to
develop a national E911 network as part of his homeland defense package.
At the
time of the announcement, Kerry said that by the end of this year, half
of
emergency calls are expected to come from wireless phones

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=06/17/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/