Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Low band threatened by power companies

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:42:36 -0400

Many counties in North Carolina have been using low band VHF radios that
operate between 30 MHz and 50 MHz for decades. In fact, this is the band
that the North Carolina Highway Patrol has used for decades also. Many of
the amateur radio bands used during disasters are also in this range.

Radio communications in this band and other low frequencies is now
threatened. The FCC is considering authorizing power utilities to use these
frequencies to send high speed internet service over power lines to their
customers.

The power lines would provide high speed internet service in areas not
currently served by cable or high speed phone lines, mostly rural areas.
These are often the same areas low band VHF has been popular due to its long
range capability.

CP&L is currently testing this technology in North Carolina.

Public Safety agencies in North Carolina and thoughout the United States
should be concerned. The national organization for amateur radio, ARRL, has
voiced strong opposition to this new interference to radio communications.
Their warning has been echoed by others.

I urge those who are licensed for low band VHF service to contact the FCC
and your congressional representatives to express your concern.

Much information on this subject can be found by doing a search on the
internet for "BPL", Broadband over Power Lines.

Rik Rasmussen
Communications Maintenance Administrator
City of Durham, NC
919-560-4175 x 244
919-560-4400 fax

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/