Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Upcoming hearings/events from the Committee on Technology in Government, New York City Council as of JUNE 6, 2004.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:52:24 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Upcoming hearings/events from the Committee on Technology in
         Government, New York City Council as of JUNE 6, 2004.
   Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:06:25 -0400
   From: Bruce Lai <[email-masked]>

Hello,

    I am reminding all of you of the upcoming hearings / events that the
Committee on Technology in Government is holding / co-sponsoring.  If
you can, please join us.  All events are open to the general public.  No
RSVP is necessary.

*****

    On Tuesday, June 8 at Noon on the steps of City Hall, the Speaker
and the Committee on Technology in Government will hold a press
conference to release the policy report "Expanding Digital Opportunity
in New York City Public Schools: Profiles of Innovators and Leaders Who
Make a Difference."  This policy report, sponsored by the Committee and
the Speaker, profiles 17 innovators and leaders in the field of
educational technology as well as lays out the need for a strategy and a
vision for using technology in the New York City public schools.  The
report also recommends 10 principles that should guide the development
of this strategy and vision.  PDF versions of the report will also be
posted on the City Council website on the day of the news conference.

    On Friday, June 11, from 10:30 AM to Noon at the studios of
Manhattan Neighborhood Network (7 West 59th Street, b/w 10th and 11th
Ave., Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chair Michael Powell will
be speaking with Council Member Gale Brewer, along with a representative
of the Mayor's office, on the topic of wireless broadband and its
importance for major urban cities.

*****

    On Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 10 AM, in the Committee Room, City
Hall, the Committee will hold an oversight hearing entitled "Oversight:
Delivering e911 Service Over Internet Telephony."  Confirmed witnesses
include the New York State Public Service Commission and Vonage, the
leading Internet Telephony provider in the country.

*****

    The following are other events that the Committee on Technology in
Government is involved in.  They might be of interest to you.

How Will Our Community Compete in the Broadband Economy?  Find out at
NYC “Digital Economic Development” Conference

    At the Intelligent Community Conference & Awards 2004, you will
learn how communities large and small, in the US and overseas, are
building prosperous economies on a Digital Age foundation of broadband
and information technology.  It takes strong, positive leadership from
the public sector and effective partnerships with forward thinking
businesses.  Speakers include:

   * James Balsillie, Chairman & Co-CEO, Research in Motion (Blackberry)
   * Gino Menchini, New York City’s Commissioner for Information
     Technology & Telecom
   * Michael Binder, Assistant Deputy Minister – Spectrum, Information
     Technologies and Telecommunications, Industry Canada
   * John Gilbert, Chief Operating Officer, Rudin Management
   * Lee Rainie, Director of the Pew Internet & American Life Project
   * Council Member Gale Brewer, Chair of the New York City Council’s
     Committee on Technology in Government
   * Sarah McCue, Senior Partner for ICT Partnerships at the World Bank

   Marriot Financial Center, New York City, June 10-11, 2004.
Information and registration at
http://www.intelligentcommunity.org/html/ICCA2004.html or call
1-212-825-0218 ext 11.

*****

    The New York City Council has an amazing new website!  Go to:
http://www.nyccouncil.info/.

    The Committee also has a web page now.

   * Go to:
     http://www.nyccouncil.info/issues/committee.cfm?committee_id=106&ltsbdkey=5121.

    All briefing papers from the current session are available.

*****

    I look forward to seeing you at one of our hearings.  Feel free to
forward this e-mail or post any of the above information.

    Again, sometime soon (probably in the next month or so), the New
York City Council will be running its Technology in Government list
serve (that is, this list that all of you are now on) through the "User
Preferences" section of its new website.  A user profile with your name
and email will be set up at
http://www.nyccouncil.info/tools/userpreferences.cfm.  A default
password of "circuit" will be assigned to your account, and
"Technology/Egovernment" will be checked off as one of your interests.
You will receive no other email from this service unless you opt in to
other topical list servers. At any time you may delete all of your
information through the "privacy policy" page available at the footer of
every page on www.nyccouncil.info. You may also reply to this email if
you do not wish to be added to the new Technology In Government list
serve system.

    Thank you.

Regards,
Bruce Lai ---