Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Satellite players react to spectrum-sharing plan

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:00:35 -0400

Satellite players react to spectrum-sharing plan
By Emily Motsay
June 14 13:29:00, 2004

The two main players in the mobile satellite services market reacted
favorably to the Federal Communications Commission’s spectrum-sharing
plan announced last week.

The FCC approved a plan for Iridium Satellite L.L.C. to share 3.1 MHz of
spectrum in the 1.6 GHz band with Globalstar L.L.C. to meet increasing
demands for satellite voice and data services, according to Iridium.

“The FCC’s willingness to expand the spectrum available to Iridium
recognizes that our rapid and sustained growth has clearly outgrown our
original spectrum allocation,” said Carmen Lloyd, Iridium’s chief
executive officer.

Globalstar, which uses 1610 MHz to 1621.35 MHz for transmissions from
handsets to satellites and 2483.5 MHz to 2500 MHz for transmissions from
satellites to its handsets, meanwhile, was pleased it will retain all of
its allocated frequencies under the ruling.

“Naturally we are satisfied with the FCC’s decision and look forward to
continuing to bring Globalstar voice and data service to the tens of
thousands of businesses and individuals across North America that have
come to rely on our services,” said Tony Navarra, president of
Globalstar.

The FCC plans to examine whether future MSS sharing is feasible,
including possibly granting Iridium access to a further 2.25 megahertz
of spectrum. “Iridium looks forward to the continued recognition of the
critical role that this additional spectrum will play in meeting both
present and future demand for our customers,” said Iridium’s Lloyd.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18470

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/