Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Telecom Update #436, June 7, 2004

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:48:03 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Angus TeleManagement Group" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Telecom Update #436, June 7, 2004
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
************************************************************
TELECOM UPDATE 
************************************************************
Number 436: June 7, 2004

Publication of Telecom Update is made possible by generous 
financial support from: 
** ALLSTREAM: www.allstream.com 
** BELL CANADA: www.bell.ca 
** CISCO SYSTEMS CANADA: www.cisco.com/ca 
** CYGCOM INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGIES: www.cygcom.com 
** GROUP TELECOM: www.360.net 
** JUNIPER NETWORKS: www.juniper.net 
** PRIMUS CANADA: www.primustel.ca 
** SPRINT CANADA: www.sprint.ca 
** TELUS: www.telus.com 

************************************************************

IN THIS ISSUE: 

** MTS Completes Allstream Acquisition
** Nortel: No News for Now
** Jean Monty Named Chair of Emergis 
** CRTC Releases Three-Year Plan
** Bell to Expand Service in Eastern Quebec
** ITU Calls Meeting on Spam
** ITU Telecom 2006 Moves to Hong Kong
** Rogers Offers "Ultra-Lite" Internet Access
** MCI Adds Business LD
** McCaw Plans Broadband Wireless in U.S.
** Former Symbol Execs Charged with Fraud
** Telehop Expands to Prairies
** What's Behind Telus's Bid for Fido

============================================================

MTS COMPLETES ALLSTREAM ACQUISITION: Manitoba Telecom Services completed
its acquisition of Allstream on Friday. All Allstream shares have been
exchanged for MTS shares and cash, and Allstream is being delisted from
the TSX and NASDAQ.

** Earlier in the week, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice dismissed
Bell Canada's application for an interim injunction blocking the deal.
Bell then said it would seek a permanent injunction and "substantial
damages" and told MTS that it will assert a claim for unjust enrichment
and an accounting.

** Bell Canada is suing Allstream for $150 million, accusing the carrier
of conspiracy and inducing MTS to breach its obligations to Bell.

** The Competition Bureau is reviewing the deal, but its investigation
may
take three years to complete.

NORTEL--NO NEWS FOR NOW: In a June 2 submission to the Ontario
Securities
Commission, Nortel Networks said "there is significant work yet to be
done" in its financial restatement process, and that its 2003 and 1Q
2004
results will not be available this month.

JEAN MONTY NAMED CHAIR OF EMERGIS: Out with the new, in with the old!
Former BCE CEO Jean Monty has been named chairperson of BCE Emergis. He
replaces current BCE CEO Michael Sabia, who recently sold BCE's 64%
stake
in the e-commerce company.

CRTC RELEASES THREE-YEAR PLAN: The CRTC has posted its schedule of
planned
activities and proceedings for April 2004 through March 2007. Plans for
2005 include telecom policy proceedings on:

** Wireless number portability
** Regulatory symmetry
** Forbearance for local service
** Implementation of a regulatory framework for VoIP 

www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/BACKGRND/plan2004.htm

BELL TO EXPAND SERVICE IN EASTERN QUEBEC: Starting in January 2005, Bell
Canada will offer local, long distance, and Internet service to
businesses
in Rimouski, Beauce, Baie-Comeau, and other centres in Telus (former
QuebecTel) territory in Eastern Quebec.

ITU CALLS MEETING ON SPAM: The International Telecommunication Union
will
hold a meeting in Geneva, July 7-9, on measures to counter spam. The
meeting is part of preparations for the World Summit on the Information
Society.

www.itu.int

ITU TELECOM 2006 MOVES TO HONG KONG: In a sharp break with tradition,
the
International Telecommunications Union has decided to move its next
flagship conference and exposition, Telecom World 2006, to Hong Kong. In
hotly competitive bidding, Hong Kong proposed costs 30%-50% below those
quoted by Geneva. Telecom 2003 had 911 exhibitors from 51 countries, and
over 14,000 daily visitors.

www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2004/14.html

ROGERS OFFERS "ULTRA-LITE" INTERNET ACCESS: Rogers Cable now offers a 64
Kbps (upload or download) Internet service in Ontario and New Brunswick
for $19.95 a month. (See Telecom Update #320)

MCI ADDS BUSINESS LD: MCI Canada (formerly UUNet) has launched Voice
Solutions, a suite of business long distance, toll-free, and
calling-card
services delivered over the phone network.

McCAW PLANS BROADBAND WIRELESS IN U.S.: Clearwire, a U.S. company owned
by
Craig McCaw, plans to launch wireless broadband Internet service in
Florida and Minnesota this summer. The network will use the same
technology that the Inukshuk/Allstream/NR joint venture has been
deploying
in Canada.

** McCaw owns NextNet, the company that makes the technology, and he
recently invested $50 million in Inukshuk's parent company, Microcell.

FORMER SYMBOL EXECS CHARGED WITH FRAUD: Seven former executives of
Symbol
Technologies, including the CEO and CFO, face criminal charges alleging
that they fraudulently inflated the company's reported revenues by $200
million between 1999 and 2002. Symbol itself faces a civil suit filed by
the SEC.

** New York-based Symbol is the leading developer of wireless IP phones
for 802.11 networks.

TELEHOP EXPANDS TO PRAIRIES: Telehop Communications has extended its
business and residential dial-around and direct-access long distance
service to Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

WHAT'S BEHIND TELUS'S BID FOR FIDO: Ian Angus says that by making a $1.1
billion takeover bid for Microcell, "Telus is trying to buy spectrum it
may not be allowed to keep, infrastructure and staff it doesn't need,
and
low-spending customers who may not stay." But there's a rational
explanation, and it's revealed in the June issue of Telemanagement,
available to subscribers now.

Also in this issue:

** Implementing enterprise mobile data applications 
** Does Canadian telecom policy need an overhaul?
** VON Canada: Is VoIP really nearing the takeoff point?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/