Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Title : 58 -- THIS IS A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI)-Next Generation Low Profile Radio Equipment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:17:39 -0400

Agency : DHS - Border and Transportation Security
Office : Customs and Border Protection
Location : Procurement Division

Solicitation number : Reference-Number-EEEEE
Title : 58 -- Next Generation Low Profile Radio Equipment

58 -- Next Generation Low Profile Radio Equipment

General Information

Document Type: Sources Sought Notice
Solicitation Number: Reference-Number-EEEEE
Posted Date: Apr 05, 2004
Archive Date: May 08, 2004
Original Response Date: Apr 23, 2004
Current Response Date: Apr 23, 2004

Classification Code: 58 -- Communication, detection, & coherent
radiation equipment
Contracting Office Address

DHS - Border and Transportation Security, Customs and Border Protection,
Procurement Division, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Room 1310 NP,
Washington, DC, 20229
Description

THIS IS A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) AND NOT A REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
(RFP). The Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border
Protection is seeking sources that are capable of providing for a lower
profile version of Land Mobile Radios (LMR). Currently, The Department
of Homeland Security has cognizance over several LMR networks that are
national in extent and scope. These operate in the VHF range of 162 to
174 MHz. These systems function much like existing commercial cellular
phone service with repeaters mounted on towers, thus providing coverage
in a particular area. Each radio can communicate with other users’
radios either by way of the nearest repeater or directly with other
radios. A need exists for a compact, smaller volume, more covert version
of the existing LMRs in use. The current packaging completely reveals
the users’ identity as law enforcement and allows for no stealth. The
LMR appear similar to state and local police radios and is approximately
6.5" X 2.5" X 1.5" with an 8.5" monopole antenna attached. The radios
come in 2 variants: (1) mobile radios that are installed in automobiles
and (2) handheld portable radios. Repackaged solutions that appear like
a cell phone with approximately equivalent effective range performance
are desired. Any creative or innovative approaches to provide
communications via handheld devices will be considered. Internal
functions such as processing methods, schemes, etc. will be left to the
vendor’s discretion. Emphasis will be placed on external appearance and
equivalent functionality with the CBP existing radio
equipment/infrastructure. All designs and proposed strategies for
accomplishing this will be reviewed/evaluated. There is no bid package
or solicitation document associated with this announcement. The
requested information is for planning purposes and does not constitute a
commitment, implied or otherwise, that a procurement action will be
issued. No entitlement to payment of direct or indirect costs or charges
by the Government will arise as the result of the submission of the
contractor’s information. The Government shall not be liable for or
suffer from any consequential damages for proprietary information not
properly identified. Proprietary information will be safeguarded in
accordance with the applicable Government regulations. Firms who wish to
respond to this RFI shall provide a technical proposal/approach and a
cost estimate to the Contracting Officer via e-mail at
[email-masked]. The cost estimate is for budgetary/planning
purposes. Firms who wish to respond to this RFI should also include
their business size, CAGE Code, Dun and Bradstreet number, GSA Schedule,
should they possess one. Interested persons should contact Aaron H.
Ford, Contracting Officer Customs and Border Protection, 1300
Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20229.

Point of Contact

Aaron Ford, Contracting Officer, Phone 202-344-1404, Fax 202-344-1254,
Email [email-masked]
Place of Performance
Address: 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC
Postal Code: 20229
Country: USA
http://www1.eps.gov/servlet/Documents/R/303954

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/