Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Kalamazoo, MI Gazette- County sheriff, police will get better radios

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:24:05 -0400

The Kalamazoo, MI Gazette

County sheriff, police will get better radios

Wednesday, 16, 2004
[email-masked] 388-8557

Kalamazoo County leaders Tuesday approved a $1 million proposal to buy
new mobile and portable radios primarily for the Kalamazoo County
Sheriff's
Department.

Sheriff Mike Anderson was given the authority by the county Board of
Commissioners to sign a purchase agreement with Motorola to for the
800-megahertz equipment, which will replace the department's
155-megahertz system.

Radios will also be purchased for the county's Animal Services and
Enforcement Department and for the Parks and Recreation Department and
for some police agencies in Kalamazoo County.

County leaders a

County leaders also
approved an agreement with
the State of Michigan for use
of an 800-megahertz
radio-tower network.

The plan was approved
without opposition.
Commissioner Jeff Heppler,
chief of the Augusta Police
Department, abstained
because of his affiliation with
police units in the county that
will receive radios in the
deal.

The county will buy radios for Augusta, Galesburg, Richland,
Schoolcraft and Vicksburg and then allow the agencies to reimburse
the county over an eight-year period.

County Finance Director Bill Dundon said he is working on finance
plan that will likely include borrowing money to make the purchase.

Some county commissioners suggested giving the radios to the outlying
police agencies but dropped the idea after seeing the cost and
considering the precedent the move might set for other police agencies
in the county.

Commissioner Thomas Drabik asked if Portage could benefit from the
purchase of new radios.

"Portage has made it clear at this point they are not interested,"
County
Administrator Donald Gilmer said.

The purchase of radios for the county is part of larger plan to improve
the sheriff's department's communications. The department is also
considering locating its dispatch operations at the city of Kalamazoo's
Crosstown Center.

A proposal about that move is expected come back before the county
board in July.

2004 Kalamazoo.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-10/108739931654790.xml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/