Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Italy Jamming Mobile Phone Cheaters

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:53:19 -0400

Italy Jamming Mobile Phone Cheaters

Contributed by Mike Masnick on Friday, June 18 2004 @ 10:09am

The FCC has made it clear that they don't want people jamming mobile
phone signals in the US (though, the government is
exempt from those rules). The FCC argues that jamming mobile phone
signals is theft of airwaves -- but, more importantly,
the dangers of someone missing an important call outweigh any benefit of
silence. Still, many other countries don't see it
that way, and mobile phone jamming systems are increasingly common in
places like theaters (and, even hotels). Now, a
school in Italy has decided that mobile phone based cheating is such a
big problem that they're installing phone jammers to
stamp out the possibility. Seems like a mighty big stick to pull out to
stop some cheating kids. Honestly, I'm still a big
confused how most students cheat with mobile phones. While phones are
clearly getting smaller and smaller, and kids are
quite good at punching in text messages without looking, they're still
fairly large objects compared to traditional cheat
sheets.

More info:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=5458976

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20040510/0124210.shtml

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20031208/0036234.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/