Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Revised Nextel "SCAM PLAN" Moves "Private Wireless" Adjacent To Nextel Spectrum-

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:11:49 -0400

I can't wait to hear the assocaition(s) and the Lawyer that represents Private Wireless in the "Scam Plan"
proceedings explain this to their members and clients...........

[email-masked] wrote:

> Revised Nextel "SCAM PLAN" Moves "Private Wireless" Adjacent To Nextel Spectrum-
> Nextel to FCC: We'll Take the Legal Risk
> By Syndication
> June 11, 2004 2:39PM
>

SNIP~~~~~~~~

>
> However, O'Regan said the Nextel
> plan calls for a spectrum shuffle
> that would result in private wireless
> companies being adjacent to
> Nextel's frequencies in the newly
> contributed spectrum. In return, the
> private wireless groups would give 2
> MHz of their spectrum to public
> safety in a manner that would
> expand the new blocks ofcontiguous public-safety airwaves.

"When The Grass Is Cut The Snakes Will Show"

---

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:56:12 -0400

Revised Nextel "SCAM PLAN" Moves "Private Wireless" Adjacent To Nextel
Spectrum-
Nextel to FCC: We'll Take the Legal Risk
By Syndication
June 11, 2004 2:39PM

Nextel is planning to go forward with its controversial decision to move
its wireless operations to new frequencies. The company told the FCC it
will re-band at 800 MHz and 1.9 GHz.  Public-safety agencies will get
more 800 MHz spectrum under Nextel's proposal.

Nextel  Communications yesterday
provided more details to the FCC on
its revisions to the Consensus Plan
and included a commitment to
re-band at 800 MHz and 1.9 GHz,
despite an expected court challenge
to an award of 1.9 GHz replacement
spectrum.

"If the Consensus Plan is adopted,
we are prepared to move ahead
with re-banding immediate at 800
MHz and 1.9 GHz, even if there is
pending litigation," Nextel
spokesman Tim O'Regan said.

O'Regan noted that Nextel would obey any direct court order calling for
it to stop re-banding, which could be a possible outcome if some 800 MHz
operators decide to fight moving to new frequencies.  However, the
commitment could be significant to public-safety groups and the Bush
administration, both of which have feared that 800 MHz interference
would continue as the expected legal fight regarding replacement
spectrum is waged in a court battle that could take years.
Indeed, many analysts have cited that concern as a key reason for the
FCC's
consideration of granting Nextel replacement spectrum at 2.1 GHz in any
800 MHz
re-banding order. NewsFactorVerizon Wireless has said it would not
challenge an award
of 2.1 GHz airwaves -- a key part of a plan proposed by the Cellular
Telecommunications and Internet Association -- but would litigate an
award of 1.9 GHz spectrum, which it considers "beachfront property" for
the commercial wireless  industry.
Most of Nextel's 11-page filing was devoted to providing more details
regarding its enhanced Consensus Plan, which calls for Nextel to
contribute an additional 2 MHz of 800 MHz spectrum but would remove 4
MHz of 900 MHz airwaves from the deal.

Verizon Wireless had raised a
concern that the new 800 MHz
airwaves would put public-safety
groups on a band adjacent to
Nextel, creating a possible repeat of
the current interference situation.

expand the new blocks of
contiguous public-safety airwaves.

In addition to providing public safety with more 800 MHz spectrum, the
enhanced plan would allow private wireless groups to benefit from the
economies of scale created by a vendor community developing solutions
for Nextel's nationwide network, O'Regan said.

"This way, public safety gets more spectrum for their needs, and private
wireless has new opportunities for commercial development, particularly
for those providers that wanted to be closer to the cellular band, so
they could offer new technologies," O'Regan said.

Overall, Nextel values its enhanced Consensus Plan at $5.155 billion,
which includes $550 million to alter its system, $512 million to
relocate broadcasters from 35 MHz of spectrum at 1.9 GHz, $850 million
to pay the costs to relocate 800 MHz users and the contribution of 8.5
MHz of spectrum at 700 MHz and 800 MHz.

Verizon Wireless has said Nextel has overvalued its contributions and
undervalued the 1.9 GHz spectrum it is seeking, meaning the carrier
would receive a windfall if the FCC approves the Consensus Plan.

http://wireless.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Nextel-to-FCC--We-ll-Take-the-Legal-Risk&story_id=24841

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/