Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DARPA Announces Release of New Next Generation Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:44:38 -0400

IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 14, 2004
DARPA Announces Release of New Next Generation Communications

Requests for Comment
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) recently released
a new set
of Request for Comment documents for its Next Generation (XG)
Communications program.
The XG program is developing technologies to enable dynamic access to
radio frequency
spectrum.

The technologies being developed under the XG program will provide a
mechanism for
enabling wireless communications systems to dynamically access
temporarily unused spectrum
resources without causing interference to existing legacy systems and
users. Key to the effort is
developing an overarching architecture and core set of communications
protocol behaviors that
enable a wide range of policy frameworks and radio implementations in
military and commercial
arenas. Due to the benefits of developing a common core set of
behaviors, the XG program has
initiated a public Request for Comment (RFC) process to enable
cooperation among the various
wireless industries and institutions.

The program released the two new RFCs, the second version of the XG
Vision RFC and
the first release of the XG Policy Language RFC, on June 10, 2004. The
XG Vision RFC
provides a description of the program’s overarching view of adaptive
spectrum communications.
The XG Policy Language RFC details the means for expressing spectrum
access rules in a
machine-readable format. These two recently released RFCs are added to
the previously
released XG Architectural Framework RFC. In the coming months, the
program will release the
XG Abstract Behavior RFC, which will detail radio behaviors required for
adaptive use of
spectrum resources.

“This is the next step in defining an XG standard for adaptive spectrum
access. The
policy language provides the ability to decouple policy and engineering
in the radio,” noted
Preston Marshall, DARPA’s XG program manager. “Where today’s radios are
designed to
comply with specific spectrum policies and cannot adapt to new
regulatory environments,
software-defined radios that implement the policy language can readily
adapt to policy changes
without redesign.”

All RFCs can be found at http://www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/XG/rfcs.htm.
Comments
are being sought by the program to ensure the widest possible adoption
of the technologies under
development. Please send comments to [email-masked].

-END-
Media with questions should contact Jan Walker, (703) 696-2404, or
[email-masked].
http://www.darpa.mil/body/NewsItems/pdf/xg_jun_04.pdf
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/