Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile Subscriber Numbers Exceed 1.5 Billion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:06:06 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/June2004/7947.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
FREE
3G Newsletter mailing list

Email:

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
Sponsored by SPIRENT

Anritsu

Free
Network Wall Poster from Catapult

Tertio
Free Demo

3G
Phone Store

Mobile
Subscriber Numbers Exceed 1.5 Billion

23rd June , 2004

Europe
: With subscriber numbers having passed the 1.5 billion mark in the
first week of June 2004, EMC forecasts that global net additions of
more than 240 million in both 2004 and 2005 will set the mobile industry
up to break through the 2 billion subscriber mark as soon as July
2006,? comments Kester Mann, Senior Research Analyst at EMC, sourcing
EMC?s latest Insight: Understanding Subscriber Growth in Key Global
Markets.

Driven by strong
growth in emerging markets, EMC forecasts that the 2 billion milestone
will be surpassed ahead of recent industry predictions. EMC expects
2.45 billion mobile subscriptions by the end of 2009.

Despite
long since reaching saturation point in Western Europe, the mobile
industry is still poised for sustained growth thanks to the enormous
potential of emerging markets such as China, India and Brazil. By
2009 there are forecast to be almost 550 million subscribers in China
alone, more than twice as many as in the second largest market, the
USA. India, currently the world's 13th largest market, is forecast
to quadruple in size to take third place with 117 million subscribers.
Boosted by the TDMA to GSM migration, Brazil is on track to hit 100
million subscribers in late 2008, up from just over 50 million currently.

"With a global
penetration rate of just 23%, there are still almost five billion
potential new mobile users worldwide and this represents a tremendous
opportunity for the industry," commented Mann. Continued subscriber
growth can be achieved by further widening the addressable market
for mobile services to include segments of the population that have
previously been unable to afford a mobile phone service or have lived
outside areas of mobile phone coverage, or both.

Largest five markets:
Dec 2003 (source: EMC)

Country Subscribers
(millions)

China 257.5

USA 157.3

Japan 79.8

Germany 62.3

Italy 55.5

Largest five markets: forecast Dec 2009 (source: EMC)

Country Subscribers
(millions)

China 547.3

USA 223.9

India 116.6

Brazil 106.1

Japan 103.2

Visit
3G's Own 3G Mobile Store

Home
ProZone
Subscribe
To Newsletter 3G
Forum

Free
3G Phones

US
Zone ASIAZone
EuroZone
UKZone

3G
Phone Zone 3
3G
New Launches

Latest
PRESS RELEASES

Mobile
Subscriber Numbers Exceed 1.5 Billion

3G
for New Zealand in 2004

2
New GSM Wireless Handsets for US

3G
Player Heads East

"M-Ager"
Mobile Report

LG
Mobile Phones Grabs Top Spot in the U.S.

3G
UMTS for Elisa

Sprint
Has 3G 1xEV-DO in Sights

3G
Licensed and Unlicensed Spectrum

Cingular
to Deliver 3G Wireless

2.5/3G
Service Monitoring Launched

MoU
for Developing 3G in China

Vodafone
Get 3G Support from Bechtel

Vodafone
live! Mobile Partnership in Belgium

Alaska
Does 3G 1xEV-DO

mLogic
3G for WAP 2.0 Mobile Entertainment Content

Ericsson
OEM Agreement for 3GPP Architecture

New
Panasonic GPRS / GSM Snapper Phone

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

All Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.