Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FEMA PILOTS NEW TRAINING COURSE TO HELP FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES OFFICIALS ENHANCE COORDINATION

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:10:59 -0400

FEMA PILOTS NEW TRAINING COURSE TO HELP FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES
OFFICIALS ENHANCE COORDINATION

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Department of Homeland Security’s Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today the offering
of a new two-week pilot course that provides partnership
opportunities for senior fire executives and their community
planning partners. The course is scheduled for August 23 through
Sept. 3, 2004, but interested students need to submit
applications by June 4, 2004.

“In this post-9/11 environment, it is important that all members
of the first responder and emergency management community work
together to determine risks and coordinate their responses,”
said Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for
Emergency Preparedness and Response. “This pilot course is
important as it provides a forum for partnership and local and
regional coordination centered on President Bush’s and the
Department of Homeland Security’s National Incident Management
System (NIMS).”

National Fire Program Specialists at the U.S. Fire
Administration developed the new course, “Partnering for Fire
Defense and Emergency Services Planning.” In addition to
coordination and strategy planning, the course will offer
information on interoperability, risk assessment, data
collection and analysis, and the interdependence of community
services and emergency services on a community. Targeted
students include local, regional and state fire and emergency
services officers who are responsible for data collection,
analysis and planning, as well as local, regional and state
community risk planners.

Students must complete the FEMA General Admissions application.
For complete course information, go to:
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/fire-service/nfa/courses/oncampus/nfa_pilot_off_P-507.shtm

On March 1, 2003, FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security. FEMA's continuing mission within the new
department is to lead the effort to prepare the nation for all
hazards and effectively manage federal response and recovery
efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates
proactive mitigation activities, trains first responders, and
manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire
Administration.