Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Industry Calls Nextel Decision 'Disappointing'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:29:19 -0400

=DJ   Wireless Industry Calls Nextel Decision 'Disappointing' 
(2004/07/08 1:49PM) 
 
   By Mark Wigfield 
   Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES 
 
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The wireless industry criticized 
as "disappointing" a plan adopted by regulators Thursday to end 
interference problems that Nextel Communications Inc.'s (NXTL) 
mobile phones cause with police and fire radio. 

A decision by the Federal Communications Commission to grant Nextel 
valuable new spectrum to resolve the problem "does a disservice to 
the American public and to the competitive wireless industry," said 
Steve Largent, president and chief executive of CTIA - The Wireless 
Association. 

"Giving up such valuable spectrum without a public auction means the 
U.S. Treasury is losing billions of dollars," Largent said. "Those 
funds could've been used to provide public safety with money to make 
much-needed improvements in the vital care it provides all of us." 

The FCC on Thursday adopted a plan that essentially costs Nextel 
$4.8 billion in relocation expenses for public safety radio and 
relinquished spectrum in return for getting valuable new spectrum in 
the 1.9 gigahertz band. Nextel must resolve the interference 
problems in three years. 

Largent said the plan takes too long to implement, isn't fair, and 
won't survive court challenges. Nextel is a member of the CTIA 
despite the group's opposition to the plan. 

(MORE) Dow Jones Newswires

July 08, 2004 13:49 ET (17:49 GMT)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/