Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Phone battery flames injure teen

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:52:35 -0400

Phone battery flames injure teen
July 4, 2004 3:35am
ZDWire Plus

A Kyocera Wireless 2325 cell phone caused "fist-size flames" that
injured a California teenager earlier this week, a fire investigator
said Friday.

Frank Huddleston, an investigator at the Ontario, Calif., fire
department, suspects the phone's battery, its original, is to blame for
the accident, which occurred Thursday morning. He stressed that the
exact cause is still to be determined.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSU) made aware of the
event, has yet to decide what to do, a spokesman for the group said.

Verizon Wireless, which sold the phone, is seeking out the California
girl's family to learn more, according to company spokeswoman Brenda
Boyd Raney. "Reports of this nature get the highest levels of attention
and follow-up," she said.
Phone maker Kyocera Wireless did not return calls seeking comment.

The incident is not the first time that a cell phone has either
overheated or exploded in the United States--and it's not the first
reported instance of a Kycera phone malfunctioning. All of the incidents
have raised concerns over the safety of a device jammed into pockets,
handbags or pressed against a person's face.

Late last month, Verizon Wireless recalled 50,000 cell phone batteries,
some of which may be counterfeit, after reports suggested that they may
cause minor fires and injuries. The TM-510 batteries, which carry the LG
Mobile Phones brand, don't have the circuitry normally installed to
prevent overcharging, according to CPSC.

In October 2003, Kyocera temporarily halted shipments of its KE413
Phantom phone after one sold by Cricket Wireless vented hot gasses,
scaring but not injuring a consumer in Omaha, Neb. Kyocera determined it
was an isolated problem and began selling the phone a week later.

In January, the CPSC issued its first-ever recall of cell phone
batteries, some 40,000 from Coslight International Group in Hong Kong.
The batteries were on four phones, all Kyocera Wireless models that
overheated. One person was slightly injured from the defect. The
batteries were also available from Verizon Wireless and Alltel.
Witnesses to the latest mishap said the 16-year-old girl had the phone
in her back pocket, when her phone let out a whoosh, bulged, then shot
out flames and smoke. She was treated for second-degree burns at an area
hospital and was released shortly afterwards.

Huddleston said there wasn't a stove or other source of flame nearby at
the time, and pre-July Fourth firework pranks have been ruled out.
Witnesses saw flames coming from the bottom of the phone, where vents
are installed to prevent overheating batteries from exploding. The
battery, once wafer-size, was "the shape of a sausage with one end
open," Huddleston said.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR200407023300.2_3b3e000c1eeecb34

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/