Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The National Communications System (NCS)

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:00:20 -0400

The National Communications System (NCS)
http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/overview.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
Overview

The National Communications System (NCS), in its role of planning and preparing
for national security and emergency preparedness (NS/EP), has undertaken
a number of initiatives to provide communications to support all hazards
situations. One of these initiatives, developed through the combined efforts
of the 23 NCS member organizations, is the SHAred RESources (SHARES) High
Frequency (HF) Radio Program.

The purpose of SHARES is to provide a single, interagency emergency message
handling system by bringing together existing HF radio resources of Federal,
state and industry organizations when normal communications are destroyed
or unavailable for the transmission of national security and emergency preparedness
information. SHARES further implements Executive Order No. 12472, "Assignment
of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Telecommunications Functions,"
dated April 3, 1984.

As of June 2003, the SHARES network consists of 1101 HF radio stations,
representing 91 Federal, state, and industry resource contributors.
SHARES stations are located in every state and at 20 overseas locations.
One hundred ninety four emergency planning and response personnel also participate
in SHARES. Over 150 HF frequencies are earmarked for use in SHARES. The SHARES
Bulletin is published periodically to keep members updated on  program
activities. SHARES Bulletin 01-13 (June
01) has been distributed.  Previous editions of the bulletin, SHARES Bulletin 00-12  (April 00), SHARES Bulletin 99-11 (March 99), and SHARES Bulletin 98-10 (May 98) are also available electronically
in PDF format.

SHARES  provides the Federal community a forum for addressing issues
affecting HF radio interoperability. The SHARES HF Interoperability Working
Group (IWG) , established as a permanent standing committee under the NCS
Council of Representatives, is responsible for providing guidance and direction
for the SHARES radio network, and for fostering interoperability of Federal
HF radio systems through examination of regulatory, procedural, and technical
issues. The SHARES HF Interoperability
Working Group currently consists of 146 members, representing 106 separate
participating organizations.

Overall support for the SHARES HF Radio Program is the responsibility of
the Manager, National Communications System. The Chief, Operations Division,
Office of the Manager, NCS, is responsible for administering the SHARES program.
The Manager, National Coordinating Center
for Telecommunications, is responsible for day to day operations of SHARES.
Further information on SHARES may be obtained from the National Communications
System, Critical Infrastructure Protection Divsion(CIP Division), SHARES
HF Radio Program, Arlington, VA, 22204-2198 or [email-masked]'.

Thank you for your interest in SHARES. Back to Home