Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Florida Atlantic University researchers and students are revolutionizing the wireless phone industry.

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:47:09 -0400

Can you hear me now?
Published Saturday, June 26, 2004
by Nicol Jenkins

Florida Atlantic University researchers and students are revolutionizing
the wireless phone industry.

Funded by Motorola’s iDEN Subscriber Group in Plantation, FAU’s
Department of Computer Science and Engineering is designing and testing
new wireless phones and mobile devices under the direction of seven
faculty members.

The goal is to enhance engineering productivity to get the products to
the consumer in a more timely fashion, said Jamie Borras, corporate vice
president of Motorola and visionary behind the project, entitled, “One
Pass to Production.”

The project is also an ideal setting for graduate students to test their
knowledge. More than 50 students are currently involved in the
research.  Dr. Borko Furht, chair of the Computer Science and
Engineering Department, works with other faculty members and students to
implement techniques for development of mobile devices.  “These projects
provide a unique opportunity for faculty and graduate students in our
department,” said Furht.

“The objective of the project is to utilize revolutionary techniques and
tools to reduce product development cycle time of Motorola’s wireless
devices.  These challenging tasks allow both our faculty and students to
cope with real-time problems and to work on highly sophisticated and
important industrial research projects.”

Tomas Tezak, an undergraduate senior at FAU, works with other students
and faculty in the Center for System Integration Lab to develop the
methodology and enhance design productivity for Motorola cellular
phones.  “Through working with highly-experienced faculty at FAU and
Motorola staff, I have been able to gain the hands-on experience needed
for industry work and technologies,” he said.

Tezak visits the Motorola Corporate Office in Plantation twice a week to
see first hand how the company is run, and says he hopes to work there
after he graduates.

Motorola has already hired five of the graduating students full-time.
Carlos Krieghoff, a recent graduate of FAU, decided to continue his work
in the lab instead of venturing off into the real world.  “Motorola has
given us a great experience that only comes around once in a lifetime,
where we can work with cutting-edge technology, not found in books, and
learn from the pros,” said Krieghoff, who is working on reducing the
time for new cell products to come out on the market.  Pallavi Shurpali,
a graduate student majoring in Computer Engineering, just joined the
team in May, and will continue to receive more training from faculty
members.

“This has been a very technically enriching experience for me,” she
said.
“Given the opportunity I would love to work for Motorola in the future.”

It’s a win-win situation for Motorola and FAU, said Borras.  “We are
very happy with the results from the collaboration with FAU,” said
Borras. “It is positive for both entities, with FAU students applying
their examples from college to the real world and for Motorola, getting
support in revolutionizing the design process.”
http://www.bocaratonnews.com/index.php?src==news&prid=‡55&category==LOCAL%20NEWS

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/