Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola and Nextel Joint Statement Regarding A-GPS Services

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:59:30 -0400

July 20, 2004

Motorola and Nextel Joint Statement Regarding A-GPS Services

PLANTATION, Fla. & RESTON, Va. --(Business Wire)-- July 20, 2004 --

Motorola Inc. (NYSE:MOT) and Nextel Communications Inc.  (NASDAQ:NXTL)
issued a statement today announcing they are aware of a software issue
affecting assisted global positioning satellite location (A-GPS)
services for the Motorola i205, i305, i530, i710, i730, i733, i736 and
i830 iDEN(R) phones. Engineers from Motorola and Nextel are working to
determine the root cause and design a permanent fix to remedy the
situation.

For customers using the Motorola i58 and i88 iDEN phones, the A-GPS
commercial location services capabilities are fully functional. A-GPS
utilizes a combination of satellite, network and software technology to
identify the approximate latitude and longitude of the wireless phone.
Nextel's customers use A-GPS for such purposes as locating fleets of
vehicles as they travel or downloading real time weather updates.
Additionally, Nextel's Motorola iDEN phones continue to be fully
operational with regard to other services -- cellular phone calls,
Nextel Direct Connect(R) calls, wireless data such as text messaging and
SMS, voice mail, Caller ID, etc.

Nextel's 911 service continues to be available throughout the country,
transmitting the caller's callback number and nearest cell site to those
Public Safety Answering Points - or 911 - call centers. Nextel has
temporarily disabled the transmission of the A-GPS enabled location
information for E911 Phase II location services until a permanent
solution to the software issue is available.

Nextel will continue selling its current line of Motorola iDEN phones
and will update any functionality as required to address this issue.

For further updates, please visit www.nextel.com/gpsupdates
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Jul/1058337.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/