Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fifty-Five Students From Around the World to Attend Lucent Technologies' Sixth Annual Global Science Scholars Summit

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:36:44 -0400

Fifty-Five Students From Around the World to Attend Lucent Technologies'
Sixth Annual Global Science Scholars Summit

MURRAY HILL, N.J., July 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The sixth annual
Global Science Scholars Summit begins Friday, July 23, at Lucent
Technologies' headquarters in Murray Hill, N.J.  This year's 55 students
come from 14 countries outside the United States -- Brazil, Canada,
China, France, Germany, India, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland,
Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain and the United Kingdom -- and 12 U.S.
states.

Students were selected to receive the Lucent Global Science Scholars
award and attend the summit for their achievements in science and math.
Sponsored by the Lucent Technologies Foundation, the Global Science
Scholars program supports exceptional students who are planning to
pursue careers in information and communications technologies.
During the weeklong summit, students will interact with Bell Labs
scientists and researchers, tour laboratories, attend panel discussions
and participate in a cross-cultural event designed to learn more about
the scholars' diverse cultures.  Students will hear a presentation on
the world of nano-science from Horst Stormer, a Nobel Prize-winning
scientist.  Stormer shared the

1998 Nobel Prize in Physics for the discovery of the fractional quantum
Hall effect.

The scholars also will work alongside Bell Labs scientists conducting
research into areas including silicon micromachines, dense wavelength
division multiplexing, molecular beam epitaxy, plastic electronics,
biomimetics and large-scale data analysis.  Students will work
collaboratively with other multinational scholars on a research project
and based on their own observations, will prepare presentations that
outline their findings.  Among the honorees are students who have
participated in prestigious math and science competitions, graduated as
valedictorians of their class, received National Merit Scholarships,
have patents pending, have published papers and held leadership
positions on sports teams and in other clubs at their schools.  Many
scholars are also active volunteers in their communities.  "It is a
privilege for us to be able to recognize these students, who are among
some of the brightest young people in the world," said Chris Park,
president of the Lucent Foundation.  "It is an amazing opportunity for
these scholars to meet and work with other students from around the
world, learn from respected researchers and scientists, and spend a week
at Bell Labs, where innovation is an important part of our history and
continues each day.  This program encourages the next generation of
scientists, and that is essential to our future."

The Global Science Scholars competition is open to all U.S. high school
students, and to students at selected universities in 14 countries
outside the United States.  Scholars were selected by independent panels
of judges based on their potential for future contribution to the fields
of information and telecommunications technology, how well rounded they
are, as well as their overall academic achievement.  That includes their
grade point average, as well as their enrollment in honors, advanced
placement and college courses.  In addition to receiving an expense-paid
trip to the Summit, students receive a $5,000 award and are offered a
paid internship at a Lucent location in their home country, where
possible, in the year following their selection.

For a complete list of this year's scholars, please go to:
http://www.lucent.com/social/2004GSS.html.
About the Lucent Technologies Foundation
The Lucent Technologies Foundation is the charitable arm of Lucent
Technologies.  With a primary focus on education and youth development,
the Foundation supports programs in Lucent communities around the
globe.  For more information on the Lucent Foundation, visit its Web
site at: http://www.lucent.com/news/foundation/home.html.
About Lucent Technologies
Lucent Technologies designs and delivers the systems, services and
software that drive next-generation communications networks.  Backed by
Bell Labs research and development, Lucent uses its strengths in
mobility, optical, software, data and voice networking technologies, as
well as services, to create new revenue-generating opportunities for its
customers, while enabling them to quickly deploy and better manage their
networks.  Lucent's customer base includes communications service
providers, governments and enterprises worldwide.  For more information
on Lucent Technologies, which has headquarters in Murray Hill, N.J.,
USA, visit http://www.lucent.com.
About the Institute of International Education
The Institute of International Education (IIE), a New York-based
non-profit organization, manages the GSSP program in partnership with
the Lucent Technologies Foundation. IIE is the largest and most
experienced educational exchange organization in America. It administers
the Fulbright Fellowships for the U.S. Department of State, as well as
250 other programs for sponsors in the public and private sectors, and
provides information on study abroad through its Web site:
http://www.iie.org.

SOURCE Lucent Technologies
Web Site: http://www.lucent.com
http://www.lucent.com/news/foundation/home.html
http://www.iie.org

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/