Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Credible Threat Announcement from Secretary Ridge

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:24:50 -0400

--------- Forwarded Message ----------
From: "Emergencyemail.ORG" <[email-masked]>
To: "Alan Dixon N3HOE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:59:28 -0400
Subject: Credible Threat Announcement from Secretary Ridge

Homeland Security Secretary Ridge 
makes credible threat announcement.

Click Here for complete transcript.
http://www.emergencyemail.org/homeland07082004.asp

*** JULY 8, 2004 ***

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said "credible" information
indicated that Al Qaeda wants to stage a "large-scale attack" in the
United States. 

COMPLETE transcript of Ridge's remarks as provided by the Department of
Homeland Security: 

Good morning. You have heard me and other senior administration officials
– the National Security Adviser, Director of the FBI and the Attorney
General -- discuss with the American people the increased risk of a
terrorist attack this summer. I wanted to take this opportunity to update
Americans on both the status of that threat, as well as the efforts of
law enforcement and homeland security professionals across the country,
under the President’s leadership, to increase security. 

Since September 11, 2001, we have had intelligence that al-Qaeda intends
to launch more attacks against the homeland. Credible reporting now
indicates that al Qaeda is moving forward with its plans to carry out a
large-scale attack in the United States in an effort to disrupt our
democratic process. Based on the attack in Madrid and recent
interdictions in England, Jordan and Italy, we know that they have the
capability to succeed and hold the mistaken belief that their attacks
will have an impact on America's resolve. We lack precise knowledge about
time, place and method of attack but, along with the CIA, FBI and other
agencies, we are actively working to gain that knowledge. 

A few weeks ago, I led a classified briefing on the threat for our
Nation’s governors in an effort to keep them apprised as we continue
through this period of heightened risk. Last night, I spoke with state
homeland security advisers, law enforcement leaders, and first
responders. 

While we are not raising the color-coded threat level today, we are
constantly reviewing threat reporting and strengthening the nation ’s
security. We have permanent protections in place today that did not exist
a year ago. These protections make it harder for terrorists to attack us.

As of today, we now have full nationwide connectivity to the Homeland
Security Operations Center -- a 24 hour a day, 7 days-a- week, nerve
center for homeland security information and incident management -- and
all 50 states through our Homeland Security Information Network…a goal
we’ve reached five months ahead of schedule. 

For the first time ever, this national operations center allows us to
receive information in real time, and turn that information into actions
that protect the homeland. It helps us to work even more closely with all
our Federal partners, sharing law enforcement and state and local
intelligence information about terrorists as never before. 

The most advanced technologies – including the newly created, internet
based Homeland Security Information Network – allow us to maintain up to
the minute information…to map that information against our critical
infrastructure and known threats…and then share it instantly with the
White House, all 50 states, more than 50 major urban areas, and thousands
of state and local agencies. 

And the reverse is true as well – information flows into the Homeland
Security Operations Center from our partners throughout the country. Many
of them are physically represented in the operations center, including
seats for 35 government agencies and local representatives such as the
New York and Los Angeles police departments. 

This is unprecedented communication and cooperation at the national,
state, and local levels. This new ability to receive and distribute
critical information allows us to make better decisions, more quickly,
and take action that will deter, detect, and defuse terrorist attacks. 

For instance, we will begin a new pilot program that utilizes technology
to track high-risk trucks on our Nation’s highways in all 50 states. And
our “Operation Respond” will provide homeland security and law
enforcement officials with the ability to quickly identify and track
locations of rail shipments across the country. 

We have also begun to deploy hundreds of handheld radiological detectors
– just the size of an average pager – for use by law enforcement officers
to help, for example, in locating and preventing the use of so-called
“dirty bombs”. Hundreds more are on their way so that these important
resources can be used around the country later this year. 

And we will be monitoring – via web-enabled perimeter cameras – chemical
facilities of greatest concern. The cameras will link to our Homeland
Security Operations Center – they provide one piece of the real-time data
I spoke about earlier – and more are due to come online by the end of the
year. 

In the coming months, the Nation will host high profile events, including
those associated with our democratic traditions. We are working very
closely with state and local officials in New York and Boston to ensure
the security of the Democratic and Republican national conventions. I
have designated these events National Special Security Events, making the
United States Secret Service the lead agency for identifying and
implementing protective efforts in these locations. I will soon travel to
those sites myself to review the security measures being implemented. 

In two weeks we will meet the with the security officials from the
professional and collegiate sports associations to determine how to
increase security for upcoming large sports events as well. We live in
serious times, and this is sobering information about those who wish to
do us harm. But every day we strengthen the security of our country, and
as a nation we are committed to the absolute protection of our citizens. 

Efforts each of you make to be vigilant – such as reporting suspicious
items or activities to authorities – do make a difference. Every citizen
using their common sense and eyes and ears can support our national
effort to stop the terrorists. 

Thank you for your continued resolve in the face of the ongoing threat of
terrorism. We must continue to work together – to ensure that the freedom
we just celebrated continues as the hallmark of this great nation. 

Thank you.

THE EMERGENCY EMAIL & WIRELESS NETWORK
http://www.emergencyemail.org/

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/