Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola will create a state radio network

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:36:10 -0400

Motorola will create a state radio network
Richmond Times-Dispatch Jul 17, 2004

Virginia public-safety agencies can't always talk to one another in an
emergency. The state took a step yesterday toward clearing the airwaves.

The state signed a $329 million contract with Motorola Inc. to design
and build a new communications network to be shared by 20 state
agencies, as well as by local public-safety and emergency workers across
Virginia.

The Statewide Agencies Radio System, known as STARS, has been under
conception for years, but the General Assembly approved $159.3 million
in bonds this year as a down payment on the network.

The money will pay for the first two years of the project, which will
begin operating in the Richmond region by the end of next year and
statewide by late 2009.

STARS will provide digital communications through a microwave system
that will connect radios, mobile computers, telephones, alarms and
criminal-information networks. Motorola will install about 130 mobile
radio and fixed microwave sites around the state and will train people
to use them.

"For the Virginia State Police, STARS is not just about finally
replacing the department's 27-year-old, antiquated communications
system," Superintendent W. Steve Flaherty said in a news release. "This
is about saving lives. A trooper's radio is his or her lifeline."
\http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031776733711&path=!news&s=1045855934842

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/