Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel disables Phase II E911 on some phones due to handset glitch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:45:20 -0400

Nextel disables Phase II E911 on some phones due to handset glitch
By Emily Motsay
July 21 12:42:00, 2004

A “software issue” is affecting assisted global positioning satellite
(A-GPS) location services for some Motorola Inc. phones sold by Nextel
Communications Inc., forcing the wireless carrier to temporarily disable
the transmission of A-GPS-enabled location information for E911 Phase II
location services for the handsets until a permanent fix is found.
Nextel said its Phase I 911 service, which transmits a caller’s callback
number and the nearest cell site to a public-safety answering point, is
still available.

The software glitch affects Motorola’s i205, i305, i710, i730, i736 and
i830 iDEN phones. Motorola and Nextel Communications Inc. engineers are
working to find the root cause and to create a permanent fix for the
problem, the companies said in a statement.

Meanwhile, A-GPS commercial location services capabilities, typically
used for locating fleets of vehicles or to download real-time weather
information, are fully functional on the Motorola i58 and i88 iDEN
devices, Motorola said. Applications including cellular calling
capabilities, Direct Connect, text messaging, short message service,
voice mail and caller ID are still in use on the affected phones.

Nextel said it will continue selling its current line of Motorola iDEN
phones, implementing updates as necessary.
SiRF Technology Holdings Inc. issued a statement saying its
SiRFstarIIe/LP chipset and SiRFstarII/IP core are incorporated in some
of the affected Motorola phones, but a spokesperson for SiRF said
Motorola and Nextel have yet to determine whether SiRF’s technology
played a role in the glitch.

“We just wanted to be really upfront about it,” Lori Evans said on
behalf of SiRF.
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18918

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/