Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AP - "Phone Outage Hits Athens, Olympic Sites"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:31:51 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Anthony Townsend <[email-masked]>
Subject: AP - "Phone Outage Hits Athens, Olympic Sites"

as someone with a number of close Greek friends, i'll refrain from any 
nasty remarks here...

BTW, speaking of Olympics, be prepared this summer for a massive PR 
campaign from Samsung which is one of the largest sponsors of this 
year's games.

-------

Phone Outage Hits Athens, Olympic Sites

  Thu Jul 29, 2:55 PM ET

ATHENS, Greece -  Nearly 50,000 telephones at Olympic sites and parts 
of Athens went dead for more than 10 hours Thursday, officials said.

  The outage follows a July 12 electricity blackout across southern 
Greece that raised concern over the stability of public utility 
networks ahead of the Aug. 13-29 Games.

  The phones went down during attempts to upgrade the system, officials 
said.

  "Some 48,000 fixed-line phones stopped working during work to improve 
a telephone switching center," Christos Malapanis, an official at the 
Greek Telecommunications Organization, or OTE, told state-run NET 
television.

  Company officials told The Associated Press that sites affected 
included the Olympic Village, which opened last week, a media village, 
and four other games facilities. A back-up network kept about half the 
telephones working at the affected sites, the officials said.

  OTE and Greece's Public Power Corporation are both Olympic sponsors.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/