Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Unefon admits sale talks

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:33:44 -0400

Friday, July 23, 2004 
Unefon admits sale talks
July 21, 2004 4:51pm
BNamericas.com

Mexican wireless telco Unefon is in talks with various companies for 
a possible sale, but no agreements have been reached, according to a 
statement filed by the company with Mexico's Bolsa de Valores.

Company directors indicated they had been in discussions with US-
based Nextel Communications, which already has operations in Mexico 
through its international holding company, NII Holdings. 

Directors told local Mexican paper El Norte they would sell the 
company if an adequate price were offered, though official 
negotiations have not yet taken place. 

"There are talks with Nextel but nothing official," said Peter 
Bauer, spokesman for Unefon's board president and majority 
stockholder Moisés Saba Masri. "Talks have intensified over the last 
three weeks with the launch of 'push to talk'." 

Unefon launched in June the walkie-talkie type service called 
RadioUnefon, which competes directly with a similar service offered 
by Nextel. Unefon holds frequencies offering provision of various 
services such as voice, data and video transmission. 

An analyst consulted by BNamericas who wished to remain anonymous 
agreed that Nextel would have a lot to gain by purchasing Unefon, as 
it would give the company a mobile business to complement its 
trunking business. 

Nextel representatives could not be reached for comment. 

Saba owns 46.5% of Unefon and Ricardo Salinas' TV Azteca (NYSE: TVA) 
owns another 46.5%. Salinas is currently under investigation for a 
controversial debt deal involving Unefon.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID==NR200407213200.1_bf1c000639c9ac46

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/