Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Approves Nextel Public Safety Spectrum Swap Plan (2004/07/08 11:48AM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:53:24 -0400

=DJ   FCC Approves Nextel Public Safety Spectrum Swap Plan (2004/07/08
11:48AM)
By Mark Wigfield

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Regulators on Thursday granted Nextel
Communications Inc. (NXTL) valuable new wireless spectrum in return for
eliminating interference its mobile-phone service causes public safety
radio systems.
The plan grants Nextel a 10 megahertz swath of spectrum in the valuable
1.9 gigahertz range used by most mobile phone providers once it
eliminates the interference problem. The company must provide an
irrevocable letter of credit for $2.5 billion to ensure public safety
radio's problems are solved.

But the grant of the last large nationwide swath of spectrum in the
band, which is capable of handling voice and mobile data, all but
guarantees a legal challenge by Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest
provider.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/