Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Trend: WiFi use in airports takes off

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:26:46 -0400

Trend: WiFi use in airports takes off

More and more airports are installing WiFi, and more and more people use
the service.  Framingham, Massachusetts-based research firm IDC says
that the number of hotspots-equipped U.S. airports will more than double
this year to 379 from 178 in 2003.  IDC predicts the number will nearly
triple to more than 1,000 by 2008, exceeding the pace of hotspot growth
at hotels, cafes, and restaurants. Another sign of growth: 19 of the top
50 U.S. airports are either offering WiFi in public terminals, or are in
the process of installing it; another 6 are accepting bids for the
service. Among airports offering WiFi are Logan International in Boston,
Dallas/Fort Worth International, Denver International, Detroit Metro, La
Guardia and Kennedy International in New York, Minneapolis/St. Paul
International, Newark Liberty International, Philadelphia International,
and San Francisco International. The number of public hotspots in the
U.S. already exceeds 10,000 and is likely to reach 65,000 by 2008.
Airport hotspots boast a much greater number of users per location than
elsewhere.

More and more airlines are beginning to offer WiFi services. Jet Blue
offers free WiFi to passengers in its terminals at Kennedy and at Long
Beach Airport in California. American, Delta, United, and US Airways
have arrangements with T-Mobile to offer WiFi in their airport lounges.
Northwest Airlines has begun to install WiFi at its domestic airport
lounges and charges $6.95 per day. Continental and Alaska Airlines both
offer the service free to airport lounge members.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/