Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 802.11i

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:41:47 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Shreyas Pandit <[email-masked]>
Subject:802.11i

Server Pipeline features an interesting report on the security viability
of 802.11i. As most observers of the WLAN industry are aware, the
security 
features found in the original standard were woefully inadequate. To a 
certain degree, these deficiencies reflected the perception that
security 
services are normally implemented at layer 3 and above. 802.11i's
privacy 
services are built on top of AES, a strong encryption standard that
passes 
muster with even the most paranoid security administrators.

IEEE has approved a new wireless security protocol dubbed 802.11i,
intended to finally provide sufficient security for wireless connections
that users don't need to rely on alternate security layers. The new
specification works by using AES encryption in the transceiver itself,
encrypting data 
directly at the level just above the actual radio pulses themselves.
That 
makes it transparent for applications sending data through the radio, so 
legacy programs running on new 802.11i-compliant hardware will 
automatically get the benefits of the new protocol without the need for 
modification.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/13/1343220
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/25/1850201&tid=193
http://www.serverpipeline.com/22104763;jsessionid=UN4UWTUXY4LGSQSNDBCCKHQ
http://www.ieee.org/portal/index.jsp
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5075.html
http://www.80211info.com/
http://csrc.nist.gov/CryptoToolkit/aes/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/