Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Politics Puts Nextel Agenda Ahead of Police, Firefighter Communication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:54:48 -0400

Coalition: FCC's Approval of Nextel Spectrum Grab Fails Firefighters,
Police and Other Emergency First Responders

Politics Puts Nextel Agenda Ahead of Police, Firefighter Communication
Needs; First Response Coalition is Growing, Adds New Members

WASHINGTON, July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- The firefighters, police officers and
concerned groups comprising the First Response Coalition
(http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org) said today that the endorsement
by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) of the Nextel spectrum
grab "places politics ahead of the police and firefighter communication
crisis highlighted by 9/11."  The Coalition called on Congress through
the GAO or the courts to overrule the FCC's ill-advised decision and
dedicate funding for interoperability.

Gene Stilp, who is coordinator of the Coalition and a volunteer
firefighter, EMT and vice president of the Dauphin-Middle Paxton Fire
Company #1, in Dauphin, Pa., noted:  "This is a sad day for
firefighters, police officers and other emergency personnel across
America.  Since 9/11 this Administration has failed to provide funding
to solve interoperability problems.  Today's decision by the Commission
continues to ignore this critical need.  They had a major opportunity
here, but they ignored the needs of first responders in order to solve a
political problem and to bailout Nextel. We call upon the courts and
Congress to reverse the FCC's decision.  We urge them to adopt the first
response plan, which will help solve the interoperability problem and
the Nextel interference problem."

Stilp added: "The $2.5 billion letter of credit from Nextel pales in
comparison to the five to 10 billion dollars that would be raised from a
legitimate auction of this spectrum.  This money could have been
earmarked to make the interoperability problems in American cities and
towns a thing of the past.  Now we have another list of promises,
inadequate funding and additional years of delay.  To anyone who
understands how thinly stretched the budgets of fire, police, and other
emergency responders are today, this 'plan' is an extremely poor action
that fails the public.  Unfortunately, it is the American public that
will pay the price here if the courts and Congress do not intervene to
overrule the FCC."

COALITION EXPANDS
Since its launch in June, the First Response Coalition has grown rapidly
in recent weeks to include the National Black Police Officers, the
American Legislative Exchange Council and the California Seniors
Coalition.  In addition to Stilp and William Fox, commissioner,
Metropolitan Fire Association, New York City, the Coalition's original
members include the Gray Panthers, and the Black Chamber of Commerce,
and the American Corn Growers.

BACKGROUND ON THE COALITION PLAN

On June 24, 2004, the First Response Coalition held a news conference to
oppose the Nextel spectrum grab and to release a white paper entitled
"Safety Over Spectrum: A Plan for First Responder Communications."  The
Coalition white paper outlined an alternate approach that puts the
primary emphasis not on Nextel's commercial agenda, but, instead, on
smoothing the way for police and firefighters struggling to address
post-September 11th demands to improve and coordinate emergency
communications.

The Coalition's white paper stated: "Today, and (as was) unfortunately
evident on September 11th, the communications systems of public safety
departments are not interoperable.  It is difficult, if not impossible,
for different departments from different (or sometimes the same)
jurisdictions to communicate because their systems and equipment cannot
interact.  Resolution of this crisis must be swift, or the danger to our
first responders and all Americans will continue to skyrocket.  As
urgent and complicated as this problem is, the situation is exacerbated
by the actions of Nextel Communications.  Guised as an effort to help
public safety departments eliminate interference problems in their
communications systems, Nextel is waging a multi-million dollar campaign
which is diverting attention and possible resources away from the real
issue of communications interoperability."

As outlined late last month, the First Response Plan outlined by the
Coalition calls for:

* Holding Nextel responsible for all instances of interference it causes
and ensuring the company works with local public safety departments to
resolve the problems.

* Auctioning spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band and earmarking the proceeds
for upgrading first responder communications systems.

* Developing an accelerated regional deployment schedule to ensure that
public safety communications systems are upgraded by 2006.

* Providing low-interest loans and guarantees to assist underserved and
economically-disadvantaged communities in obtaining the newest
communications technologies.

* Establishing advisory panels to recommend solutions that adequate
address the disparate needs of America's diverse communities.

ABOUT THE COALITION
The First Response Coalition (http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org)
consists of citizens, individual first responders, and advocacy groups
who are particularly concerned about first responders having the best
possible communications capabilities.  The First Response Coalition
believes interoperability issues must be addressed by the FCC in any
plan that reorganizes spectrum and will disrupt public safety
communications systems across the country.

The First Response Coalition believes that adequate funding for
improving public safety communication systems is the highest priority.
It believes that a common-sense solution is for Congress to require an
auction for the frequencies at 1.9 GHz, which the FCC is giving away for
free, and to then dedicate that money for public safety improvements.
The First Response Coalition recognizes that low income, rural, and
underserved communities lack the resources to upgrade their technology.
It supports an accelerated regional deployment schedule to ensure that
all public safety communications systems are interoperable by 2006, and
that low-interest loans and loan guarantees are made available to assist
underserved and economically-disadvantaged communities in obtaining the
newest communications technologies.

SOURCE First Response Coalition, Washington, DC
Web Site: http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/07-08-2004/0002207005&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/