Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel proposes 'stealth antenna' in Kalama Valley

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:38:02 -0400

Nextel proposes 'stealth antenna' in Kalama Valley

By Suzanne Roig

Advertiser East Honolulu Writer

Kalama Valley — In an effort to improve cellular phone coverage, Nextel
Communications wants to erect a fake 50-foot palm tree with 3 to 10 feet
of whip antennas on top at the corner of Kealahou Street and Hawai'i Kai
Drive.
The palm tree would be built in a fenced-in equipment shelter on Hawai'i
Kai Golf Course property.
It wasn't the company's first choice for a location.

Nextel had preferred sites at the shopping center or next to the
Honolulu Board of Water Supply reservoir tower, both in Kalama Valley,
but concerns about security and the future of the shopping center
blocked the company's efforts, said Pete Jaeger, Nextel technical
operations manager.

The company has installed similar antennas in other locations, such as
atop flagpoles in Mililani and in Hilo, Hawai'i, Jaeger said. The
company presented its plans, as it is required to do by the city, at the
Hawai'i Kai Neighborhood Board meeting last week. The board voted in
favor of the company's antenna plans, but there were not enough votes to
make it official.
"We always try to work with the community," Jaeger said. "Other carriers
have used stealth antennas. It's a common practice on the Mainland.
They're useful in certain neighborhoods."

Nextel still must submit an application for a conditional use permit to
the city before it can build the antenna.
Jane Dodson, who lives in Queen's Gate, said she didn't think that the
antenna would fly with the community and wanted to see pictures before
making her decision.

"I don't think it will be pleasing to the eye," Dodson said. "We don't
want an eyesore in the community."
Reach Suzanne Roig at [email-masked] or 395-8831.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Jul/06/ln/ln32a.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/