Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel to Sponsor International Children's Games, Will Provide Phones with Direct Connect

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:42:53 -0400

Nextel to Sponsor International Children's Games, Will Provide Phones
with Direct Connect
 Walkie Talkie Service and Other Wireless Voice
 and Data Services
 Monday July 26, 2:00 pm ET

Works Closely With Organizers, Participants and Public Safety
Officials to Ensure Reliable, Safe and Secure Communications
Throughout the Event

CLEVELAND--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 26, 2004-- As thousands of children and
officials from around the world descend this week on Cleveland for the
International Children's Games and Cultural Festival, they will
experience first hand the power of instant communications as organizers
and participants rely on a wide array of wireless products and services
provided by Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News), a major
sponsor of the event.

"The games are the world's largest international multisport youth event,
and this year will bring 3,000 young athletes and their coaches from
around the world to live and compete in several different locations
throughout Northeast Ohio," said David Gilbert, president and CEO of The
Greater Cleveland Sports Commission. "With Nextel's help we will be able
to maintain constant communication at every site and with every
delegation, which is critical for the event to run smoothly and safely."

Nextel has committed various communication products and services to the
Games including: wireless phones equipped with Nextel Direct Connect®,
the instant long-range digital walkie-talkie service; RIM
BlackBerry®devices with Nextel cellular, Direct Connect, wireless
Internet and email capabilities.

To ensure seamless communication among the various agencies involved in
planning and security with the Games, Nextel is working with organizers
and public safety officials to meet their unique needs for wireless
coverage, capacity and interoperability. Over the past year Nextel has
enhanced its entire network throughout Northeast Ohio to increase system
coverage and capacity. The Nextel network is well prepared for the
increased system demand expected from the thousands of participants,
media, and visitors who will attend the Games.

"This event is an opportunity for Cleveland to build its reputation as
an international community, and Nextel is eager to help showcase the
region to the rest of the world.  This is a large undertaking that
requires organizers and participants to communicate quickly and
reliably. Also, recent enhancements to our network for this event will
improve Nextel's service in and around Cleveland for years to come,"
said Todd Weller, area vice president of sales for Nextel.

Organizers also will be able to utilize their Nextel® phones to make
wireless credit card transactions with several Creditel PowerSwipe
point-of-sale devices. Creditel donated the devices that offer secure
end-to-end payment processing that authorized and verifies credit card
transactions in seconds directly from a Nextel phone.

Nextel also will have a significant presence in the Plain Dealer
International Children's Games Festival Village. A NASCAR simulator car
will be on site for those visiting the Nextel display. McGruff the Crime
Dog will be at Nextel's booth at the Village during the Games and Nextel
will also offer fingerprinting and identification kits for children and
parents.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040726/265737_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/