Subject: [NEXTEL-1] £2bn police radio 'out of date'

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:10:41 -0400

This is
LONDON
20/06/04 - Business section

£2bn police radio 'out of date'
Simon Fluendy and Peter Warren, Mail on Sunday

A MASSIVE scheme to replace police radio networks with hi-tech
handheld computers is turning into a multi-billion pound white
elephant thanks to a Government blunder.

The £2bn Airwave system, which was bought from mobile phones
group mmO2, is not delivering anywhere near what was anticipated,
say major police forces. But putting things right could add hundreds
of millions of pounds to the project.

Airwave was meant to deliver secure communications between
officers and controllers at 50 police forces. It was also supposed to
allow police on the ground to file reports and access databases on
the move.

But far from allowing rapid downloading of data, Airwave is operating
at less than a quarter of the speed of computer modems ten years
ago. That means it takes 12 seconds or more to download a
passport-size picture to one of the few terminals equipped to receive
them, according to the Police Information Technology Organisation.

MPs are already asking questions and the National Audit Office and
Public Accounts Committee are also understood to be about to launch
inquiries.

Though mmO2 is responsible for installing and managing the Airwave
system, the company is not believed to be in the line of fire. Rather,
it was the original specification that was at fault.

The Home Office admitted on Friday that forces were already having
to supplement the network with other equipment and radios were
being replaced as obsolete even though the system is not even
complete.

A secret report prepared by Northumbria Police Authority and
obtained by the Financial Mail on Sunday, says: 'It was originally
envisaged that Airwave would be the primary mechanism for carrying
mobile data, but the capacity for data is much lower than expected
and not suitable for all mobile services.'

The report is just one of many complaints from top officers and key
technicians on the project.

'Airwave is better than the old system for voice traffic - at least we
don't get interference from Dutch cabbies anymore,' said one police
source. 'But it is nothing like the brave new world we were hoping
for.'

Liberal Democrat MP Mark Oaten tabled a series of Parliamentary
questions last week about the project, demanding to know how much
costs were likely to rise and whether extra radio masts will be
needed.

There are 3,500 masts for Airwave, which have sparked health
concerns at the Police Federation and among nearby residents. Some
estimates say forces will have to double the number of masts to
ensure proper data coverage.

Oaten is especially concerned that if identity cards are introduced,
the need for police to move digital data will rocket and costs will
soar.

An mmO2 spokesman said: 'The Airwave system is delivering services
that customers have asked for. Forces are delighted to have a secure
and reliable communications system.'

Find this story at
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/business/articles/timid79575?version==1

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/