Subject: [NEXTEL-1] National Governors Association Selects Nextel to Provide Wireless Communications for Annual Meeting

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:17:18 -0400

[July 16, 2004]

National Governors Association Selects Nextel to Provide Wireless
Communications for Annual Meeting Taking Place in Seattle
SEATTLE --(Business Wire)-- July 16, 2004 -- Wireless Leader in
Long-Range
Digital Walkie-Talkie Service to Ensure Instant Communications for
Security and
Operations Staff

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL) today announced that it will
provide wireless phones and a private radio console interoperability
solution for the National Governors Association's (NGA) 2004 annual
meeting in Seattle, July 17-19. Nextel's technology will provide instant
wireless communications among all operations staff, as well as the
security detail, which will include local public safety organizations
such as the Washington State Patrol.

"Nextel has provided wireless communications at this conference for the
past two years and they continue to deliver a technology that our staff
and security needs and that no other carrier can give us," said
Christine LaPaille of the NGA. "We depend on the instant digital
walkie-talkie service for efficient and reliable communications. It is
critical to the implementation of a successful conference."

For the conference, Nextel has committed phones equipped with cellular
phone service, text messaging and Direct Connect(R)--Nextel's unique
long-range digital walkie-talkie feature. In addition, Nextel will
provide a console interoperability solution that will allow public
safety private radio systems to communicate seamlessly with Nextel
handsets using Direct Connect. The previously incompatible radio handset
technologies that will be in use by the various public safety
organizations at the NGA conference will be linked by Nextel, helping to
provide added security for conference employees and attendees.
"The Washington State Patrol's mission for the National Governor's
Association Annual Meeting is to ensure a safe, secure and enjoyable
event for all attendees," explained Chief Lowell M. Porter. "In order to
fulfill this mission it is critical to have communications services that
are efficient and reliable. We are grateful for the support of Nextel in
helping us fulfill our mission."
"Nextel is thrilled to work with the NGA Conference in Seattle this
year," said Jeff Brennan, Nextel's area vice president for the Pacific
Northwest. "Our strong foundation in the Puget Sound area ensures that
our infrastructure is first rate and that we understand and can
anticipate the needs of the organizations involved. We are confident
that our technology and network capabilities will provide for safe and
dependable communications."

The NGA, which first met in 1908, supports the work of the governors by
providing a bipartisan forum to help shape and implement national policy
and to solve state problems. The NGA meeting typically includes
governors of nearly all 50 states plus U.S. commonwealths and
territories. In addition, about 1,200 representatives from business,
industry, cabinet officials, federal and local governments as well as
national and local journalists are expected to be in attendance.

Nextel is a market leader in providing instant wireless communication
designed to specifically address the critical communications needs of
government agencies, police, firefighters and other emergency workers in
times of emergencies or during preplanned events, such as the NGA Annual
Conference.
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Jul/1057301.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/