Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Alliance seeks consensus for broadband over powerline

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:36:10 -0400

Alliance seeks consensus for broadband over powerline
By John Walko
CommsDesign.com

Jul 20, 2004

LONDON
The HomePlug Powerline Alliance http://www.homeplug.com/index.asp is
seeking comments from industry over the specifications likely to be
required for delivering data at broadband speeds over powerlines.
http://www.caba.org/standard/homeppa.html

The specifications will build on the work that went into developing the
existing HomePlug standard for powerline communications.

The Alliance is also already finalizing its specification for HomePlug
AV, a high-speed networking technology designed specifically for digital
multimedia networks in the home.

Initial studies have already started for the so-called Broadband over
Powerline (BPL), and the alliance now wants more involvement from
service providers, network operators and technology developers to define
a specification.
For instance, the HomePlug Alliance has started working with other
industry organizations such as the IEEE, and committees have been
established to drive the BPL specification forward.

"Standards allowed the Internet to flourish," commented Earthlink's
Brian Wenger who is heading up the HomePlug BPL effort, "When no
standard exists, customers hesitate, and the market growth slows.  The
Alliance's efforts could potentially turn every power outlet in the
world into an Internet connection."

The HomePlug Powerline Alliance currently has about 50 members,
including Conexant, Intellon, Arkados, Cogency Semiconductor, Sharp,
Comcast, Earthlink, Panasonic and RadioShack.

http://www.commsdesign.com/news/market_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=23902342

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/