Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tech soldiers to test WiFi warfare radios

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:39:56 -0400

Tech soldiers to test WiFi warfare radios
Chris Jenkins
June 22, 2004

THE army has marched its hi-tech Wundurra soldier combat system forward
another step, buying a battalion-sized batch of WiFi-powered radios for
evaluation.

The personal-role radio (PRR) units were sourced from telecommunications
giant Marconi through Sydney defence supplier Defcon Systems in an
agreement signed this month.

About 1000 of the radios have been purchased in a deal worth "between $1
million and $5 million", Defcon managing director Nick Stokes said.

Designed to be carried by individual soldiers, the units will be part of
the ongoing Wundurra test-bed program examining performance and
interoperability.

Other recent acquisitions for the program include night-vision goggles
and thermal weapons sights.
http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9915111%255E15321,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/