Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU ANNOUNCES STAFF APPOINTMENTS

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:01:42 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
July 6, 2004       Lauren K. Patrich at (202) 418-7944
Email: [email-masked]

FCC WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU
ANNOUNCES STAFF APPOINTMENTS
Washington, D.C. – Today, John B. Muleta, Chief of the Federal
Communications Commission’s Wireless Telecommunications Bureau,
announced several appointments in the Bureau’s Auctions and Spectrum
Access Division.
Bill Huber has been appointed Associate Division Chief and is
responsible for supervising the legal and policy work of the Division,
which includes issues relating to competitive bidding authority, rules,
and procedures; transitions of spectrum to new uses and relocation of
incumbents; designated entities; review and analysis of auction
applications; and auction payment obligations.  Prior to this
appointment, Mr. Huber served as an attorney in Bureau’s former Auctions
and Industry Analysis Division, where he was responsible for advising on
rulemaking and policy matters involving a range of spectrum access and
auctions-related policy issues, such as the spectrum recovery aspects of
the digital television transition, service rulemakings, competitive
bidding issues, and legislative matters.  Before joining the Commission
in 2000, Mr. Huber was an associate with the law firm of Wilkinson
Barker Knauer, LLP, where he specialized in regulatory and transactional
matters with a particular focus on wireless broadband services.  Mr.
Huber is a graduate of Princeton University and earned a J.D. cum laude
from the University of San Francisco School of Law.
Erik Salovaara has been appointed Deputy Associate Division Chief and is
responsible for assisting in the supervision of all work relating to the
legal and policy issues that arise in the implementation of the
Commission’s auction authority, including issues relating to auction
design.  Mr. Salovaara most recently served as an attorney in the
Division.  In that capacity, he worked on various legal issues arising
from the Commission's use of auctions to assign spectrum licenses,
including issues relating to potential combinatorial bidding.  Before
joining the Commission in 2001, he was a litigator with the law firm of
Ross, Dixon & Bell, LLP.  Mr. Salovaara is a graduate of the University
of Chicago Law School and Harvard College.
Brian Carter has been appointed Special Counsel in the new Division and
is responsible for specific projects to implement the Commission’s
competitive bidding authority, including work on the Commission’s
Advanced Wireless Services initiatives.  Mr. Carter rejoined the
Commission in 2002 as Special Counsel in the Bureau’s former Auctions
and Industry Analysis Division.  During his previous tour with the
Commission from 1994-1998, he served in several different positions,
including as a Legal Advisor to then FCC Commissioner Andrew Barrett and
as an Attorney Advisor in the Satellite Division of the FCC's
International Bureau.  Previously, he worked as the Director of Business
Development for PSINet India, Middle East and Africa and as the Director
of International Legal Affairs for WorldSpace Corporation, a global
satellite radio company.  He also was associated with the lawfirm of
Fisher Wayland, Cooper, Leader and Zaragoza.  A graduate of Eton College
in England, Mr. Carter received his Bachelor of Laws degree from The
University of Buckingham in England and a Master of Comparative Law
degree from The George Washington University National Law Center.
Rita Cookmeyer has been appointed Financial Policy Analyst.  In that
capacity, she deals with matters relating to auction payment
obligations, including withdrawal and default payments, unjust
enrichment, and the installment payment program.  Ms. Cookmeyer joined
the Commission in 1994 as an analyst in the Bureau, first in the former
Commercial Wireless Division, then in the former Auctions and Industry
Analysis Division.  Ms. Cookmeyer has been recognized by the Commission
through numerous awards including the Catherine Foster Public Service
Award.  Prior to joining the Commission, Ms. Cookmeyer worked for Cable
and Wireless Communications, Inc.  She is a Washington, DC-area native
and a graduate of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

-FCC-

News about the Federal Communications Commission can also be found
on the Commission’s web site www.fcc.gov.
 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-249252A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/