Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia's mobile Web services; Making J2ME apps portable

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:30:08 -0400

[Image]                                             July 13, 2004
                                                   Sign up for free:
                                              www.fiercedeveloper.com

   NEWS

   Nokia SOA framework

   NEC to block 3rd-party batteries

   Sharp to offer Symbian phones
   Tira, Sony partner to enhance games

   HANDSETS

   Sprint, Samsung push new camera phones
   Sendo X review
   Japanese WiFi handsets

   WORKBENCH

   J2ME: Making apps portable

   Futuremark: SPMark04 handset benchmarking

   J2ME: Mobile database comparison

   Symbian: Get your apps signed

    [Image] Editor's Note: Welcome to the first issue of
            FierceDeveloper! My name is Eli Dickinson and from now on
   you will receive FierceDeveloper from me every Tuesday. My goal as
   editor is to enrich your life and contribute to your success. Okay,
   I know that seems like a stretch -- but I do hope to help. So email
   me at [email-masked] and give me your feedback. I'd love
   to hear from you.

   In today's issue, I highlight one of the most overlooked stories
   from JavaOne: Nokia's new SOA framework. It's going to change the
   way you think about mobile Web services; be sure to check it out. -
   Eli

   Events:

   Agilent Advanced Network Analyzer Measurements eSeminar - July 13,
   11amPT

   Free Webinar: Developing Secure Wireless Applications - June 30

   Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training USA - July 24-29, Las Vegas

   Marketplace:

   Free white paper: The Well Executed Mobile Application

   Borland Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

   Free Technical Brief: Ease Troubleshooting & Protocol Testing in
   UMTS

   Jobs:

   Macromedia Mobile and Devices - UK based Solutions Engineer

   NEWS

   Nokia's announcement of a mobile Service-Oriented Architecture
   (SOA) framework didn't attract much attention at JavaOne, but it
   features some very cool technology. Nokia's solution allows
   asynchronous connections to service providers and lets mobile
   devices act as servers, potentially allowing for meshed
   peer-to-peer SOA networks. Article

   No more exploding handsets! NEC will use a high-speed encryption
   system to block counterfeit batteries from working in its phones
   and digital cameras. Third-party cell phone batteries have been
   accused of substandard construction and have allegedly started
   fires. Of course, blocking counterfeit batteries also ensures NEC a
   monopoly on replacement batteries for its products. NEC expects the
   technology to be in 50 million units by 2007. Article

   Sharp has decided to offer Symbian-based phones in the next year.
   Sharp President Masafumi Matsumoto said that cell phones featuring
   the Symbian OS are easier to sell internationally. Currently,
   international shipments make up just 30 percent of Sharp's sales.
   Blog post

   Tira Wireless has teamed up with Sony to create advanced mobile
   games. The two companies will use the Tira Jump platform to allow
   J2ME games to be easily ported to Sony Ericsson handsets. Article

   HANDSETS

   Sprint, Samsung push new camera phones

        Sprint has released a 1.3-megapixel camera phone. Personally,
        I think the picture phone phenomenon is overhyped, but it is
        impressive that a $149 phone takes better pictures than the
        $250 digital camera I bought a few years ago. Press Release

        Samsung has just released a 3-megapixel camera phone that is
        apparently only available in South Korea. Casio beat them to
        the punch, however, and last month released a 3-megapixel
        phone with digital zoom.  Article

   The Sendo X is a hot little handset. The Series 60-based smart
   phone has been in development for years, and it looks like the
   phone was worth the wait. Unlike some of the newer Nokia phones,
   Sendo doesn't target the X towards any particular niche, instead
   offering a feature-rich phone with a relatively attractive
   form-factor. This handset has slick, customizable software and
   stereo MP3 playback. It is easily one of the best Series 60 smart
   phones on the market. Review

   WiFi Handsets from Japan

        Rikei is now taking orders for what they claim is the first
        clamshell WiFi phone. The Rikei 98g costs Y50,000 (about
        $460), and the company expects to sell 30,000 of them. Press
        release

        DoCoMo has officially announced the NEC N900iL, a VoIP handset
        that works over WiFi or cellular packet networks. It also
        includes a megapixel camera and videophone functions. Blog
        post

   WORKBENCH

   Making J2ME apps portable is a major concern for developers. Far
   too many applications are targeted at a specific phone instead of a
   platform. DevX has a pretty good explanation of how to fix common
   J2ME portability errors. The bottom line, unsurprisingly, is to
   follow the specs and use good OOP practices, such as encapsulation.
   Article

   FutureMark is about to release SPMark 04, a comprehensive benchmark
   system for Symbian-based applications. SPMark tests battery life,
   graphics performance, disk access, and application performance of a
   handset and compares these functions with those of different
   models. Review

   Choosing a mobile Java database can be tough. InfoWorld recently
   reviewed two leading platforms, db4o 2.9 and PointBase Micro 5.0,
   in a head-to-head comparison. PointBase Micro, which supports Palm,
   RIM, Symbian, and Windows CE, edged out db4o, which supports JDK
   1.1 or better; but clearly the two platforms are aimed at different
   developers. Review

   Beginning this month, Symbian applications submitted for
   distribution through the Sony Ericsson and Nokia channels must be
   Symbian Signed. The signature ensures that the applications are
   compatible with all Symbian devices. Website

   TENSION BREAKER

   What happens when you combine an iPod, a Pocket PC, and some
   Romanian software? You get one step closer to the semi-utopian
   dream of an MP3-playing, file-swapping BluePod. Article

  Events                        * Post an Event Listing: Click here.
                                      * General ad info: Click here.

  Agilent Advanced Network Analyzer Measurements eSeminar - July 13,
  11am PT

  This presentation focuses on the components at three stages -
  amplification, frequency conversion & the "front-end" or filtering
  and signal routing. Learn critical measurements and tradeoffs at
  each stage, such as, s-parameters, frequency offset and more...
  Click here.

  Free Webinar: Developing Secure Wireless Applications - June 30

  Developing security features for wireless applications is
  challenging, often delaying projects and affecting application
  performance. Learn how to avoid pitfalls and develop security
  features for your mobile applications. Click here.

  Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training USA - July 24-29, Las Vegas

  World-renowned security experts reveal tomorrow's threats today.
  Free of vendor sales pitches, the Briefings are designed to be
  pragmatic regardless of your security environment. Featuring 30
  hands-on training courses, 10 conference tracks, 2000 delegates
  from 30 nations. Register by July 1 for big savings.
  www.blackhat.com

  Free white paper: The Well Executed Mobile Application

  Here at Orange - a leading mobile operator with services in 21
  countries, and a 50m-plus worldwide customer base - we have
  commissioned an independent white paper, and offer it to you to
  download free of charge.

  Borland Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

  Borland Software Corporation is the leading provider of ALM
  solutions for the telecommunications industry, delivering products
  that accelerate the application development lifecycle, provide
  flexibility, and give companies the freedom to choose the solution
  appropriate for their situation. For more information and your free
  whitepaper, visit www.borland.com.

  Free Technical Brief: Ease Troubleshooting & Protocol Testing in
  UMTS

  Tektronix is offering a complimentary technical brief that offers
  hands-on, practical examples of protocol testing in UMTS Networks.
  Service troubleshooting, call tracing and similar tasks haven't
  diminished with the advent of UMTS. Tasks such as these have become
  more complex - even for engineers with many years of protocol
  testing experience in GSM Networks. Request your complimentary
  technical brief: "Protocol Analysis in UMTS Networks."

  Marketplace              * Post a Marketplace Listing: Click here.
                                      * General ad info: Click here.

  Free white paper: The Well Executed Mobile Application

  Here at Orange - a leading mobile operator with services in 21
  countries, and a 50m-plus worldwide customer base - we have
  commissioned an independent white paper, and offer it to you to
  download free of charge.

  Borland Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

  Borland Software Corporation is the leading provider of ALM
  solutions for the telecommunications industry, delivering products
  that accelerate the application development lifecycle, provide
  flexibility, and give companies the freedom to choose the solution
  appropriate for their situation. For more information and your free
  whitepaper, visit www.borland.com.

  Free Technical Brief: Ease Troubleshooting & Protocol Testing in
  UMTS

  Tektronix is offering a complimentary technical brief that offers
  hands-on, practical examples of protocol testing in UMTS Networks.
  Service troubleshooting, call tracing and similar tasks haven't
  diminished with the advent of UMTS. Tasks such as these have become
  more complex - even for engineers with many years of protocol
  testing experience in GSM Networks. Request your complimentary
  technical brief: "Protocol Analysis in UMTS Networks."

  Jobs

  Macromedia Mobile and Devices - UK based Solutions Engineer

  Applicants should have 5+ yrs of exp in the mobile/ce/handset
  manufacturing industries with deep tech knowledge of Java, J2ME,
  Series 60 & Symbian. Must be competent in describing complex
  technical software/hardware architectures - to apply for this role
  please email your cv to [email-masked].

  FierceDeveloper is the weekly wireless developer report, a free
  weekly email newsletter that saves you time and boosts your
  success.

[Image][Image]