Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Connects NASCAR Fans with Real-Time Race Action Displayed on Nextel Phones with PitCommand

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:26:28 -0400

Nextel Connects NASCAR Fans with Real-Time Race Action Displayed on
Nextel Phones with PitCommand

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 6, 2004--
Nextel Further Delivers on Promise to Enhance NASCAR Fan
Experience With Wireless Applications That Leverage Powerful Wireless
Technologies

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL) announced today a new NASCAR
content offering, PitCommand, a wireless Java(R) application that
delivers real-time race data in an exciting, full-color, visual display.
PitCommand is available as part of NASCAR.COM TO GO, which packages
NASCAR.COM's exclusive content in an easy-to-use service available on
Nextel phones. PitCommand creates a single view of all the critical race
elements - including speed, RPM, throttle/brake indicators, lap counts
and more - the same live information that crew chiefs receive at their
command stations, or "war wagons," at the pits. Images of PitCommand are
available at http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=4674428.

PitCommand, available first from Nextel, provides fans with a unique
look at their favorite drivers' position on the track, lap count and
time behind the leader. To offer this application, Nextel has partnered
with NASCAR.COM, the official site of NASCAR, Digital Orchid Inc., an
innovator in the development, management and distribution of branded
wireless applications, and Sportvision, a market leader in sports-media
technology. PitCommand uses in-car telemetry data that is provided six
times per second via Sportvision's proprietary Global Positioning System
(GPS) technology to track the position of the entire field of NASCAR
NEXTEL Cup Series(TM) drivers in real-time as they compete during a
race.
"Since before the season started, Nextel has been dedicated to
delivering greater excitement and enjoyment to NASCAR fans by leveraging
our wireless technology expertise to make fans part of the action," said
Mark Schweitzer, senior vice president of marketing for Nextel.
"PitCommand enhances the fan experience wherever they happen to be on
race day - at the track, at home or on the go - from the convenience of
their Nextel phone."
PitCommand presents a graphical version of the track on the screen of
the Nextel(R) phone, with icons representing each stockcar that are
synchronized with their relative speed and position. Fans can customize
their experience by selecting a virtual speedometer, odometer, gas and
brake pedals for any car they choose, plus driver profiles and current
standings.  NASCAR.COM's PitCommand mobile application is immediately
available for all upcoming NASCAR Nextel Cup Series races.
"Nextel is putting fans first by giving them access to NASCAR wherever
they go," said Drew Reifenberger, executive vice president of Turner
Sports Interactive Program Planning, Acquisitions and Interactive.
"Their desire to help raise the bar for live racing coverage is a great
fit for the immersive experience of our PitCommand product."
NASCAR.COM TO GO with PitCommand is available for several color,
Java-powered Nextel phones, including the recently-launched i830, which
is the smallest walkie-talkie-enabled handset ever; the i730, a sleek
feature-rich handset; and the i736 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and Driver
Series handsets. The NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series Phone displays a checkered
flag and an enlarged NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series logo. The ten NASCAR
NEXTEL Cup Series Driver Phones each feature the number and unique
design, colors and signature of a particular driver, including:
No. 2 Rusty Wallace
No. 6 Mark Martin
No. 8 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
No. 15 Michael Waltrip
No. 17 Matt Kenseth
No. 20 Tony Stewart -
- No. 24 Jeff Gordon
No. 48 Jimmie Johnson
No. 88 Dale Jarrett
No. 97 Kurt Busch

All i736 phones are preloaded with extensive content that is specially
designed for NASCAR fans. Images of the i736 handsets are available at
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=4569277.
In addition to PitCommand, NASCAR.COM TO GO provides access to NASCAR
news, schedules, standings, live leader boards and more as part of the
service. Other services available to Nextel subscribers include
NASCAR.COM Mobile, a wireless website with NASCAR news and NASCAR NEXTEL
Cup Series content, and NASCAR.COM Alerts, a wireless messaging alert
service that provides subscribers breaking news and event results.
NASCAR.COM TO GO with PitCommand is available to Nextel customers as
part of a bundled data package for $15.99 per month, or for $9.99 per
month when also subscribed to a Total Connect data plan and Nextel
Online(R) Web service.  Additionally, customers can enjoy a free
one-month trial of NASCAR.COM TO GO if activated before September 30,
2004. NASCAR.COM TO GO with PitCommand can be previewed and purchased at
www.nextel.com.
About Nextel
Nextel Communications, a FORTUNE 200 company based in Reston, Va., is a
leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications services
and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the
country covering thousands of communities across the United States.
Today 95 percent of FORTUNE 500(R) companies are Nextel customers.
Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. currently serve 296 of the top 300 U.S.
markets where approximately 252 million people live or work.
About NASCAR.COM
NASCAR.COM is produced by Turner Sports Interactive. The company
acquired all of NASCAR's interactive rights in October 2000 and became
the exclusive producer of NASCAR.COM in January 2001. NASCAR.COM is one
of the fastest growing sports sites on the Web, consistently ranking
among the top three sport sites on the Internet. In 2003, NASCAR.COM was
awarded an Emmy(R) by the National Television Academy for its TrackPass
with PitCommand application.
About Digital Orchid
San Diego-based Digital Orchid is in the business of building, managing
and distributing unique branded wireless applications for the mobile
industry. The company provides the leadership necessary to enable the
wireless industry to successfully make the transition from offering
traditional circuit switched voice services to advanced packet switched
data services. The company's systems integration approach to the
production and distribution of wireless online services eliminates the
barriers that have limited the adoption of wireless applications in the
past. Specifically, the company develops sophisticated suites of
applications, leverages carrier relationships, integrates various
technological components and uses the already established marketing
channels of large brands to create a unique experience for the mobile
user. In addition, the company enables new marketing and distribution
opportunities for both the carriers and the brands, thereby increasing
the number of subscribers who can access Digital Orchid solutions.
About Sportvision, Inc.
Sportvision, Inc. is the nation's premier innovator of sports and
entertainment products for fans, media and marketers. A privately held
corporation, Sportvision solutions have enhanced experiences for fans
and marketing partners of the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, NHL, PGA TOUR, LPGA
Tour, Major League Baseball, NCAA football and basketball, WTA, Major
League Soccer and other sporting events on-air and online. The company
has captured five Emmy Awards for its products, three for their
signature broadcast enhancements, the virtual yellow 1st and Ten(TM)
line and K Zone, and two for its pioneering advanced media work with
NASCAR. Sportvision can be found on the web at www.sportvision.com.

MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE:
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=4674428
CONTACT: Nextel Communications Inc., Reston
Nextel Media Contacts:
Joel Shadle, 703-433-4654 or
Becky Cox, 704-634-5899 or

Nextel Investor Contact:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300 or
Turner Media Contact:
Kelly Greene, 404-827-2067
SOURCE: Nextel Communications Inc.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/