Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phone Tower on County Agenda

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:36:54 -0400

Cell Phone Tower on County Agenda
Source: Topeka Capital Journal
Publication date: 2004-07-22
Arrival time: 2004-07-23

By Tim Hrenchir

THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Shawnee County commissioners plan today to consider allowing the
construction of a proposed cell phone tower.
They also are expected to express a desire not to raise tax rates in
next year's budget.

The commission will meet at 9 a.m. in chambers at the Shawnee County
Courthouse, 200 S.E. 7th.

Items to be considered include a resolution declaring a county policy
that requires commissioners within the extent possible to adopt a 2005
county budget that doesn't increase property taxes from the amount
levied in the 2004 budget. The only exceptions would involve increased
property valuation, new improvements to real property and property that
has changed use. The resolution adds that commissioners may need to
raise property taxes for 2005 to provide adequate funding for the
community's health, welfare and safety.

Commissioners also will consider whether they should allow a cell phone
tower to go up in northeast Shawnee County near two private airfields,
including one that was the scene last year of a fatal plane crash.

Commissioners had postponed action July 20 on the matter until today
after initially considering the proposed construction of the Nextel
Communications tower one-quarter mile east and one-quarter mile north of
N.E. 46th and Kincaid Road. The tower would be 194 feet tall, including
a 14-foot antenna.

The tower would be 1.4 miles southeast of the Buena Terra Airport, which
is just northwest of N.E. 62nd and Shaffer Road and 1.2 miles
south/southwest of western Jefferson County's Black Hawk Airport.

Col. Mike O'Toole, commander of the 190th Air Refueling Wing of the
Kansas Air National Guard, died last August in a crash while trying to
fly out of the Buena Terra airstrip.

Barry Beagle, the county's planning director, said county officials have
discussed for six months whether to let Nextel put up the tower on
property owned by Robert and Linda Davis, 2640 N.E. 46th.

Brian Smith, a Topeka attorney representing Nextel, said the proposed
tower would complement a separate, 300-foot tower that will go up near
N.W. 54th and Button Road. He said construction of towers at both
locations would enable Nextel to provide blanket service to northern
Shawnee County.

Tim Hrenchir can be reached
at (785) 295-1184
or [email-masked].
Publication date: 2004-07-22
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnnmoney/Story.nsp?story_id=54420690&ID=cnnmoney&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/