Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Recommended Federal Grants Guidance - Public Safety Communications & Interoperability Grants

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:04:08 -0400

Recommended Federal Grants Guidance - Public Safety Communications &
Interoperability Grants
May 2004

I.  Introduction

One of the major issues facing the Emergency Services Sector is the
inability of emergency service workers including traditional “first
responders” to communicate with one another when the need arises.  These
emergency first responders have long been defined as the “first arriving
organized responders with the capability and mission to contain,
mitigate, and resolve the emergency at hand.”   Their effective and
efficient emergency response requires coordination, communication, and
sharing of vital information among numerous public safety agencies.  As
recognized in the National Strategy for the Physical Protection of
Critical Infrastructures and Key Assets, “most systems supporting
emergency response personnel, however, have been specifically developed
and implemented with respect to the unique needs of each agency.”   Such
specification without regard to the need for interoperability tends to
complicate the ability of those agencies to effectively communicate with
others in the future.  This fact is echoed by the public safety
community in the National Task Force on Interoperability’s report Why
Can’t We Talk?  Working Together To Bridge the Communications Gap To
Save Lives.

In line with the needs of public safety and the National Strategy cited
above, Federal Fiscal Year 2004 Appropriations make available grant
funding to improve the effectiveness of public safety communications
systems and to resolve interoperability issues.  By definition,
communications interoperability refers to the ability of public safety
agencies to talk across disciplines and jurisdictions via radio
communications systems- to exchange voice and/or data with one another
on demand, in real time, when needed, and as authorized.  The federal
program offices recognize that many law enforcement, fire service,
emergency medical service, and other emergency response personnel
currently lack effective and modern communication systems within their
respective organizations.  The programs support the need to improve
those systems so long as the improvement planning includes a vision for
improved interoperability with other agencies.

In an effort to coordinate the way in which funding is allocated and to
maximize the prospects for interoperable communications, some general
grant criteria has been developed in concert with representatives of the
public safety community.  What follows is an outline of who is eligible
for the grants, purposes for which grant funds can be used, and
eligibility specifications for applicants.

II.  Grant Criteria

II.A.  Who Should Be Involved with Public Safety Communications
Interoperability

Federal funds that are allocated for improving public safety
communications and interoperability should only be provided to public
safety agencies or organizations at the local, tribal, regional, or
state level.  This includes:

? Law Enforcement agencies
? Fire Service agencies
? Emergency Medical Service agencies
? An organization representing the aforementioned agencies

II.B.  Lifecycle of Public Safety Communications Projects

While applying for equipments grants, applications should capable of
addressing each of the following aspects within the lifecycle of public
safety communications:

? Planning for public safety communication systems
? Building public safety communication systems
? Upgrading/enhancing public safety communication systems and equipment
? Replacing public safety communication systems and equipment
? Maintaining public safety communication systems and equipment
? Training public safety staff on issues related to emergency response
communications
? Managing public safety communications projects

II.C.  Common Public Safety Communications Goals

Grants will be awarded to applicants that aim to achieve the following
goals identified and supported by the public safety community and each
grant making agency.

1.  Applicants should demonstrate how funds would be used to upgrade or
enhance "Mission Critical" networks with interoperable communications
equipment for everyday use to ensure the safety and well being of First
Responders and the public they serve.

2.  Applicants should provide a clear and demonstrated plan for
accomplishing improved interoperability between First Responders of
local, tribal, regional, and state public safety agencies, or other
partnering agencies or organizations from local, tribal, regional,
state, and federal jurisdictions; particularly in times of natural
disaster and major criminal or terrorist acts.

II.D.  Common Criteria for All Grant Applicants

In order to receive funding, the applicant must be able to convey an
understanding of the first responder needs and a clear path towards
interoperability.  Each grant application must explain how the proposed
project would fit into an overall effort to increase interoperability.
Even if the funding sought is only for a piece of an interoperability
endeavor (i.e., training for staff, procurement of new equipment), an
executive summary should be provided to illustrate to the funding agency
the broader context of the agency/jurisdiction’s interoperability
plans.  Such an explanation could include information on the governance
structure overseeing the effort; a communications system plan; a
deployment plan; an operations, maintenance, and training plan; and a
financial plan.

At a minimum, the applicant must:
? Define the vision, goals, and objectives of what the applicant is
ultimately trying to accomplish and how the proposed project would fit
into an overall effort to increase interoperability.
? Describe the specific problems or needs that are to be addressed.
? Identify any potential partners and their roles and staffing
requirements, and provide information on any existing agreements such as
a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or Mutual Response Agreement.
? Propose a detailed budget and timeline.
? Include an operational plan that addresses how the effort will be
funded now and in the future.

Section IV of this document provides a thorough list of questions that
applicants can use to help ensure that they have taken into account the
needs of public safety, potential partners, and considered short- and
long-term goals.

II.E.  Standards

When procuring equipment for communication system development and
expansion, a standards-based approach should be used to begin migration
to multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary interoperability.
Specifically, all new systems should be compatible with the
ANSI/TIA/EIAA-102 Phase 1 (Project 25 or P25) suite of standards.  This
recommendation is intended for government owned or leased land mobile
public safety radio equipment and its purpose is to make sure that such
equipment or systems are capable of interoperating with other public
safety land mobile equipment or systems. It is not intended to apply to
commercial services that offer other types of interoperability solutions
and does not exclude any application if it demonstrates that the system
or equipment being proposed will lead to enhanced interoperability. With
input from the user community, these standards have been developed to
allow for backward compatibility with existing digital and analog
systems and to provide for interoperability in future systems.  The FCC
has chosen the P25 suite of standards for voice and low-moderate speed
data interoperability in the new nationwide 700 MHz frequency band and
the Integrated Wireless Network (IWN) of the U.S. Justice and Treasury
Departments has chosen the Project 25 suite of standards for their new
radio equipment.  P25 has also been endorsed by the US Department of
Defense for new LMR (Land Mobile Radio) radio systems.

However, the first priority of federal funding for improving public
safety communications is to provide basic, operable communications
within a department with safety as the overriding consideration.
Funding requests by agencies to replace or add radio equipment to an
existing non- P25 system will be considered if there is an explanation
as to how their radio selection will allow for improving
interoperability or eventual migration to interoperable systems.  This
guidance does not preclude funding of non-Project 25 equipment when
there are compelling reasons for using other solutions. Absent these
compelling reasons, SAFECOM intends that Project 25 equipment will be
preferred for digital systems to which the standard applies.

II. F.  Governance

There needs to be consistent leadership and management to ensure that
the planning, equipment procurement, training, and funding are in place
when developing a public safety communications improvement or
interoperability project.  A common governing structure should improve
the policies, processes and procedures of any major project by enhancing
communication, coordination, and cooperation; establishing guidelines
and principles; and reducing any internal turf battles.  This group
should consist of local, tribal, state, and federal entities as well as
representatives from all pertinent public safety disciplines.
Frequently when multiple agencies/jurisdictions are involved, this
management is in the form of a governing body that makes decisions,
solicits funding, and oversees the implementation of an interoperability
initiative.

III. Criteria for Public Safety Communications Equipment Grants

Building, Upgrading, Enhancing, Replacing and Maintaining Public Safety
Communications Systems and Equipment
Public safety interoperable communication grants can be used to build,
upgrade, enhance or replace communications equipment. Communication
systems and equipment are expensive, and before a procurement decision
is made, there must be an assessment of the current communication system
and future needs.

The following questions provide guidance for fulfilling public safety
communications goals.

Has the applicant already completed a plan that illustrates the
agency’s/jurisdiction’s commitment to the aforementioned public safety
priorities?
? Please provide an executive summary that clearly illustrates how the
proposed effort will lead to enhanced public safety communications
interoperability.
? What type of multi-jurisdictional or multidisciplinary agreements does
the agency possess (i.e., MOUs, interstate compacts, mutual response
agreements)?

Has the applicant considered public safety’s operational needs of the
communications equipment?
? In what type of topography/terrain does the agency operate?
? In what types of structures does the agency need to communicate?
(i.e., tunnels, high-rise buildings)
? What methods of communication does the agency use? (i.e., email,
paging, cellular calls, portable radio communications)
? What is the process for dispatching calls?
? Is the communications center independently owned and operated by the
agency?  Does it serve several public safety agencies in the
jurisdiction?  Is it a multi-agency, multi-jurisdictional facility?
? Does the agency have the ability to patch across channels?  If so, how
many patches can be simultaneously set up?  Is a dispatcher required to
set up and break the patches down?
? What is the primary radio language used by the agency when
communicating with other agencies or organizations? (i.e., ‘plain’
English, code)
? What types of equipment can immediately be deployed to provide
short-term solutions for improved communications?

Has the applicant considered the system requirements to ensure
interoperability with systems used by other disciplines or other levels
of government?
? What type of equipment is currently used by the agency?
? Is there a regional, multi-jurisdictional, or statewide system in
place that requires interoperability in order to communicate with other
agencies?  If so, how do you plan on interoperating/connecting to that
system?
? Is the equipment compatible with the Project 25 suite of standards?
? For data-related systems, is the applicant using XML standards?
? How scalable is the system?  Can it be used locally between agencies
and jurisdictions, statewide, and at a multi-state or national level?
? What internal and external security requirements exist in the
architecture to secure information and maintain privacy levels for data
as required by law?
? Is the infrastructure shared with any other agency or organization?
Is it owned or leased?
? Does the agency use analog or digital radio systems or both?
? Is the system conventional or trunked?
? Which radio frequencies are used to communicate with other public
safety agencies?
? How many channels does the agency have solely designated for
communicating with other agencies?

IV. Supplemental Criteria for Public Safety Equipment Grants

Planning for, building, upgrading, enhancing, replacing, maintaining,
training staff, and managing projects for a public safety communications
system are arduous tasks that require both short- and long-term
strategies.  Whether it is the development of a technical plan, training
exercise, or system upgrade, any effort that ultimately leads to
improved interoperability must include participation from all of the
relevant agencies, jurisdictions, or other organizations that contribute
to an effective emergency response.

This participation is frequently exhibited through a governing structure
that improves the process of any major project by enhancing
communication, coordination, and cooperation; establishing guidelines
and principles; and reducing any internal turf battles.  This group
should consist of local, tribal, state, and federal entities as well as
representatives from all pertinent public safety disciplines.

Answers to the following questions will help provide the applicant with
a fuller vision of how its proposed project or effort will ultimately
improve interoperability.

IV.A.  Planning for public safety communication systems
There are two types of planning for public safety communications,
technical and governance. Technical planning for public safety
communications projects may include needs and requirements assessments,
developing the network architecture of a system, propagation studies,
and similar technical proposals.  Governance planning for public safety
interoperability projects may include development of needs assessments,
strategic plans, and financial plans.  Questions that an applicant for
communication systems planning funds should address are listed below.

The following questions will provide the grant making agencies with an
understanding of the applicants planning efforts.

Has the applicant considered the communication needs and requirements of
its public safety community?
With whom does the agency/jurisdiction need to communicate?
How does the agency/jurisdiction need to communicate?
What information needs to be exchanged?
When does the agency/jurisdiction need to communicate and exchange
information? (i.e., daily, weekly, infrequently)
Under what circumstances does the agency need to communicate? (i.e.,
frequently occurring emergencies, major crimes or incidents, large-scale
disasters)

Does the applicant plan to include nearby agencies/jurisdictions from
other disciplines, or other local, tribal, state or federal partners in
its planning effort?

Who are the stakeholders that need to be involved in the planning?
Which decision makers should be involved in planning?
What type of technical and field expertise will be needed to develop the
plan?
Will outside expertise be needed to develop this plan?
What are the roles and responsibilities of all agencies that are
involved? (Include a list of partnering agencies)
Are there any mutual response agreements in place?
What type of governing structure exists to improve the processes
involved in executing any planned project?

Does the potential plan taken into account both short- and long-term
goals?
What should be done in the first phase (most critical)?
How many phases will the plan require?
How much time is needed to accomplish the plan?
What are the technical solutions available to address the problem?
What funding is available to address the problem?
Grant funds (federal, state, local, private), General funds

IV.B.  Training public safety staff on issues related to emergency
response communications

In order for equipment to be used properly and effectively in emergency
situations, Emergency Service personnel must be trained through joint
exercises that afford them the ability to practice standard operating
procedures, become familiar with the equipment, and enhance their
capacity and preparedness to respond to all types of emergencies.
Eligible applicants should exhibit multidisciplinary and
multijurisdictional training in their overall public safety
communications plan.

Do the applicant’s training plans include exercises with other
agencies/jurisdictions?

Do the agency’s training plans include participation from all levels and
functions of emergency response?  (i.e., local, state, federal, fire,
law enforcement, emergency medical services)

How often will training take place?

Who will conduct the training?

Where will the training be held?  Will it be on-site or at a specified
training facility?

What maintenance efforts will exist to keep personnel up-to-date with
changes in procedure, equipment functions, or other relevant policies?

How will lessons-learned from training exercises be applied to
operational procedures?  Will there be post-exercise evaluations or
analyses?

IV.C. Managing public safety communications projects

There needs to be consistent leadership and management to ensure that
the planning, equipment procurement, training, and funding are in place
when developing a public safety communications improvement or
interoperability project.  Frequently when multiple
agencies/jurisdictions are involved, this management is in the form of a
governing body that makes decisions, solicits funding, and oversees the
implementation of an interoperability initiative.  Organizations that
govern such projects must be comprised of the relevant law enforcement,
fire, and emergency agencies in order to qualify for grant awards.

Is the communications project consistent with similar efforts in the
region?
? Does the applicant have agreements in place with other
agencies/jurisdictions that illustrate the cooperative and interoperable
approach to managing the communications improvement or interoperability
project?

Does the project have the support of the relevant governing body (local
or state authority)?
? What other funding sources has the applicant sought for the ongoing
administrative costs of program management?

V. Generic Examples of Linking Disparate Public Safety Communications
Systems

Applications may request funding for technologies not listed in Section
V, as long as applicants demonstrate how the technology selected clearly
improves multi-jurisdictional multi-disciplinary interoperability.

There are multiple approaches for linking disparate networks.
Descriptions of common technologies are provided below.

Although there are more robust solutions available today, repeaters
still provide improved interoperability for agencies needing to link
disparate systems.

? Cross band Repeaters retransmit signals input from one frequency band
to an output in a different frequency band.  Cross band repeaters range
from simple devices supporting frequency transfers across two bands
(e.g., ultra high frequency [UHF] and very high frequency [VHF]) to more
complex devices capable of bridging multiple frequency bands (e.g., UHF,
VHF Low Band, VHF High Band, and 800 MHz).

Numerous initiatives are already underway to implement short-term
integration technologies that provide a reasonable level of
interoperability among disparate networks.

Network-to-Network Gateways – provide radio interoperability during
missions requiring communications between diverse organizations using
different radios and different frequencies.  Network-to-network gateways
offer a standard way to link wireless infrastructures. Within minutes
after arriving on the scene of an incident, a portable gateway can be
quickly programmed to support the frequencies of participating agency
radios. Many of these solutions also allow disparate networks to share
data and provide a bridge to the public switched telephone network
(PSTN). Although gateways can be either fixed or mobile, this program
promotes the purchase of mobile, deployable devices.

Minimum specifications have been developed for instances where
network-to-network solutions are to be implemented.  Where such
interconnect devices are to be used, the following specifications should
be followed:

A.  OPERATING MODES
The device must be able to retransmit the audio of radios that operate
in different parts of the radio spectrum, use different modulation and
access techniques, and use analog or digital encoding. The audio shall
be distributed or switched throughout a shared audio distribution bus
where it can be presented to and shared amongst all or a selected subset
of radios interfaced to the device.

B.  CAPACITY
? The device must support a minimum of four LMR radios in different
operating modes.  The ability to support cellular phones and connection
to the public switched telephone network (PSTN) is desirable.

C.  POWER AND PHYSICAL
The device must be capable of being powered either from vehicular power,
battery power, or portable AC power sources.
The device must accommodate being rack mounted or standing alone in a
portable enclosure.  The device must be able to withstand shock and
vibration typically encountered in field operations activity.

The device must include documented cable specifications for audio
(speaker and microphone) and control (push-to-talk - PTT) in order to
interface with the basic audio and transmit controls for standard off
the shelf LMR radio manufacturers’ subscriber units that are typically
employed by public safety.

The device must have input mechanisms or modules that can support
balanced or unbalanced 2 or 4-wire circuits.
The device must have input mechanisms or modules that can transmit (TX)
Audio, receive (RX) Audio, PTT, and Carrier Operated Relay/Carrier
Operated Squelch (COR/COS) signaling.  Ability for supporting tone
remote control (TRC) and Voice Operated Transmit (VOX) signaling is
desirable. Some form of adjustable automatic gain control should be
provided for each device interface.

D. CONTROL AND ADMINISTRATION
? The device must provide local control to establish two or more talk
groups of the radios/phone interfaces that are provided.
? The device must provide adjustable audio/PTT delay to the radio
interfaces, in order to allow the supported radios and associated
infrastructure to reach full transmit power and to accommodate unknown
repeater operating parameters such as hang times and squelch trails.
? The device must be easily configurable with short set up times.

Similar to fixed network-to-network gateways, some consoles provide
similar support either manually or electronically.

? Console Interfaces (i.e., “patches”) route audio signals from one
console to another console, either by dispatcher intervention or by a
pre-wired configuration through the console electronics; thereby,
supporting direct connections between disparate systems.

Many states and regions have significant investments in large scale,
shared networks, briefly described below.  These networks offer a high
degree of interoperability within their geographic coverage areas and
can be linked to other networks through network-to-network gateways.
Some of these networks meet the ANSI/TIA/EIAA-102 Phase 1 (Project 25)
suite of standards.

Shared Networks - have common backbone infrastructures and interfaces.
These are often single vendor solutions covering large geographic areas
and/or commercial networks. The typical model calls for participating
jurisdictions to purchase subscriber radios compatible with the network,
and pay a monthly service fee.

 VI.  Resources

Additional information for applicants to use when constructing their
grant applications and for seeking additional funding sources can be
obtained at the following websites.

AGILE Program The AGILE Program within the Office of Science and
Technology at the National Institute of Justice has a mission to assist
state and local law enforcement agencies to effectively and efficiently
communicate with one another across agency and jurisdictional
boundaries.  It is dedicated to studying interoperability options and
making valuable information available to law enforcement, firefighters,
and emergency technicians across the country.
http://www.agileprogram.org/

Association of Public Safety Communications Officials – International,
Inc. (APCO) APCO is the world’s oldest and largest not-for-profit
professional organization dedicated to the enhancement of public safety
communications.
http://www.apcointl.org/

Bureau of Justice Assistance Local Law Enforcement Block Grants (LLEBG)
Funds from the LLEBG program may be used for procuring equipment,
technology, and other material directly related to basic law enforcement
functions.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) This site offers information
on federal disaster assistance and funding.
http://www.fema.gov/

Justice Technology Information Network (JUSTNET) The official web site
for the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center
system, JUSTNET lists many grants and funding sources in the Virtual
Library.  It also contains various publications on communications
interoperability issues.
http://www.justnet.org/

COPS Interoperable Communications Technology Program.  This grant
program, administered by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of
Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS), provides equipment funding
to law enforcement agencies to enhance multi-jurisdictional public
safety interoperable communications and information sharing across the
nation.  http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/

National Institute of Justice (NIJ) NIJ is the research and development
agency of the U.S. Department of Justice and is the only federal agency
solely dedicated to researching crime control and justice issues. This
page lists the most recent solicitations issued by NIJ.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/

National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC) NPSTC is a
federation of associations representing public safety
telecommunications.  NPSTC serves as a resource and advocate for public
safety telecommunications issues.
http://www.npstc.du.edu/

National Task Force on Interoperability (NTFI) Recognizing that
solutions to the national problem of public safety communications
interoperability could only be achieved through cooperation between all
levels of government, 18 national associations representing state and
local government and public safety officials formed a task force to
address this issue.  NTFI’s recommendations have been published in the
form of a brochure, guide, and supplemental resources.
http://www.agileprogram.org/ntfi/

National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) NTIA,
an agency of the Department of Commerce, works to spur innovation,
encourage competition, help create jobs, and provide consumers with more
choices and better quality telecommunications products and services at
lower prices.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/

Office for Domestic Preparedness (ODP) Equipment Grant Program The goal
of the ODP Equipment Grant Program is to provide funding to enhance the
capacity of state and local jurisdictions to respond to, and mitigate
the consequences of, incidents of domestic terrorism involving the use
of a Weapon of Mass Destruction (WMD). Communications equipment is
included on the authorized equipment purchase lists for these ODP
grants. http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/

Office of Justice Programs (OJP) Information Technology Initiatives The
OJP Information Technology Initiatives web site offers access to timely
and useful information on the information sharing process, initiatives,
and technological developments. The funding section of this site
provides information on both federal and private funding sources,
examples of innovative funding ideas, and tips on researching funding
legislation.
http://www.it.ojp.gov/

Office of National Drug Control Policy, Counterdrug Technology
Assessment Center (CTAC) Technology Transfer Program The CTAC Technology
Transfer Program assists state and local law enforcement agencies in
obtaining the necessary equipment and training for counterdrug
deployments and operations.
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/

SAFECOM Program SAFECOM was established as the federal umbrella program
to help local, tribal, state, and federal public safety agencies to
improve public safety response through more effective and efficient
interoperable wireless communications.  The SAFECOM website provides
additional SAFECOM documents.
http://www.safecomprogram.gov/

Technology Opportunities Program (TOP) The Technology Opportunities
Program (TOP) from the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration gives grants for model projects demonstrating innovative
uses of network technology.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/top/

U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) A cornerstone of the DHS
philosophy revolves around a commitment to partner closely with other
federal agencies, state and local governments, first responders, and law
enforcement entities to ensure the security of the United States.  Its
website explains hoe DHS and local governments can work
together.
http://www.dhs.gov/

U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) DOJ offers funding opportunities to
conduct research, to support law enforcement activities in state and
local jurisdictions, to provide training and technical assistance, and
to implement programs that improve the criminal justice system.

http://www.usdoj.gov/
U.S. Fire Administration Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program The
purpose of the program is to award one-year grants directly to fire
departments of a state to enhance their abilities with respect to fire
and fire-related hazards.
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/fire-service/grants/afgp/grants.shtm

http://www.safecomprogram.gov/admin/librarydocs13/SAFECOM_Grant_Guidance%20_5_11_04.DOC

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/