Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Bluejacking -

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:14:35 -0400

The threat of Bluejacking -- the hijacking of nearby Bluetooth devices
-- is mostly hype, but at least a few advertisers
have found a "clever" use for it. No less a publication than The
Economist has reportedly sent unauthorized messages
via hijacked Bluetooth connections to attendees at an Asian business
summit. Some fear that if the practice, known as
"bluespamming," becomes widespread end-users will shy away from
Bluetooth altogether.

===============================================================================

Thought Bluejacking was just a passing fad for teenagers?

Think again. Advertisers -- including some respected brands -- are
picking up on it.
The Mobile Technology Weblog brings word that The Economist sent out ads
to people at an Asian business summit via bluejacking, following similar
messages at a Hong Kong rugby tournament and an advertising awards
ceremony. Russell rightly labels it "Bluespam".It's amazing to see a
company like The Economist send something like this out, when they'd
never consider advertising through e-mail or SMS spam, and it's not
likely that users will be amused by an unwanted, unwelcome intrusion on
their device, regardless of how hot a novelty it is, much like
location-based ads.It's intrusions like this that really threaten
Bluetooth, rather than any supposedly competing standard. Russell adds
that the necessary equipment isn't expensive, and once somebody has it,
it doesn't cost them anything to send out messages -- even "better" than
e-mail spam.
How long will it take advertisers to figure out that
interrupting people on their mobiles is not a good
way to advertise? People simply won't stand for it,
and carriers and handset manufacturers should take
the threat seriously -- otherwise they'll just shut off
SMS and Bluetooth all together.

http://www.thefeature.com/main

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Dave Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:23:38 -0400

> "bluespamming," becomes widespread end-users will shy away from

	I understand that the principle use so far of this technique is
not sending spam but sending solicitations for anonymous sexual
encounters to attractive members of the opposite sex one sees in public
areas like trains and waiting rooms ...  something called "toothing"... 

-- 
   Dave Emery N1PRE,  [email-masked]  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Bote Man" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:25:12 -0400

Well, then maybe I will market a line of toroidal ferrite shields that
prevent Bluetooth connections and call them "toothing rings".

Bote
F.E.C. milepost 339.3 
RailHam Net on I.R.L.P. reflector 9454 Sunday night 21:00 ET
http://members.trainorders.com/boteman/railhamnet.html
http://pages.prodigy.net/bote

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dave Emery [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, 22 July, 2004 15:24
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Bluejacking -
> 
> > -- is mostly hype, but at least a few advertisers have found a 
> > "clever" use for it. No less a publication than The Economist has 
> > reportedly sent unauthorized messages via hijacked Bluetooth 
> > connections to attendees at an Asian business summit. Some fear that 
> > if the practice, known as "bluespamming," becomes widespread end-users 
> > will shy away from Bluetooth altogether.
> 
> 	I understand that the principle use so far of this 
> technique is not sending spam but sending solicitations for 
> anonymous sexual encounters to attractive members of the 
> opposite sex one sees in public areas like trains and waiting 
> rooms ...  something called "toothing"... 
> 
> -- 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links