Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Thank You Amateur Radio Operators

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:14:18 -0400

Thank You Amateur Radio Operator’s
By Johnnie Craig
July 4, 2004

Although I have no interest in Amateur Radio I have a great deal of
admiration for these selfless and dedicated persons. They finance their
own equipment and systems, accomplish untold amounts of voluntary aid,
donate time and money, and will offer assistance to any reasonable Fire,
Police, EMS, Child search, Heidi Search Center, or other need. Who among
us can make similar claims?
I was at least familiar with benefits we gain from their organization in
the 50’s and 60’s but was curios as to what they were doing today. I did
not have to check very far to find out they do even more for us today.
Although it is not common knowledge they frequently work directly with
Police departments offering additional Communications and large scale
Search Parties, for missing children, adults, and many other needs. Many
Police and Fire departments depend heavily on their voluntary assistance
allowing officers and fire fighters to concentrate on what they have
been trained to do. This lessens the necessary workload for Police and
Firemen and at the same time reduces cost and increases efficiency. They
have a proven communication web that in many cases will exceed the
response time of an emergency call to “911”.
In some areas they even provide loaner handheld radios to Officers and
responsible civilians for use in search parties, severe weather
conditions, and other emergencies that require a large number of persons
to be involved. This allows maximum communication (on Ham frequencies)
without overloading Police frequencies. They use numerous types and
styles of radio’s, frequencies, power outputs, and sophisticated
receivers most of which are readily available to them but not normally
available to Officers. They belong to organizations such as “Cellular on
Patrol”, “Heidi Search Center”, “COPS”, and others working and
communicating directly with Police Officers. Where Cellar Phones are
handy but it takes time to dial numbers, explain to operators why you
need to speak to an officer, and in some cases get busied out or just do
not work, Radios correspond directly and with no delay. With a proven
record of dependability and usefulness to Officers they have the
credibility to speak directly with Police Departments radically reducing
the communications delays and improving results. Although they derive
self-satisfaction and personal pride from their efforts they get very
little credit and are usually thought of as having a non-productive
hobby at best. Perhaps it is time we gave them the “Thank You” that they
have and continue to earn.

About the author Johnnie Craig: I recently finished a book about career
advise and am seeking a Publisher. Visit my web site:
http://jcraig.home.att.net or email: [email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/