Subject: [NEXTEL-1] City of Louisville and Jefferson County, Ky., Combine Public Safety Communications Systems

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:25:07 -0400

City of Louisville and Jefferson County, Ky., Combine Public Safety
Communications Systems
Police, fire and EMS personnel to be linked by one communications system

By Corey Mckenna - June 2004

Last year, the city of Louisville and Jefferson county merged, and the
Louisville City Police Department and the Jefferson County Police
Department became the Louisville Metro Police Department. Then, in April
of this year, the Louisville/Jefferson County Metro Government decided
to implement an integrated public-safety communication center.

There are two phases of the project. The initial phase will be to
resolve interoperability problems in radio communications and data
exchange among the city of Louisville and Jefferson county police, fire,
and emergency medical services (EMS) departments. PEC Solutions is
designing an interim solution to consolidate dispatch centers, implement
an interoperable radio network and enable mobile computing facilities to
serve the new departments.

The second phase of the project is the implementation of MetroSafe, a
fully unified dispatch center joining all public safety and
transportation personnel, first responders and emergency medical
agencies into a fully interoperable system.  Mayor Jerry Abramson
describes MetroSafe as a lasting infrastructure that will "know no
arbitrary boundaries between agencies and jurisdictions responding to
serious events involving major crimes, acts of terrorism or natural
disaster.  MetroSafe will allow all of our emergency responders --
including nine different dispatch centers -- to communicate seamlessly
and serve our hometown more effectively."

MetroSafe is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2006.
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.phtml?channel=4&id=90663

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/