Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel, SouthernLinc reach agreement for 800 MHz rebanding

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:13:02 -0400

Nextel, SouthernLinc reach agreement for 800 MHz rebanding

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
July 01, 2004 1:05 PM EST

WASHINGTON—Nextel Communications Inc. and SouthernLinc have reached 
an agreement that would change the channel allocations in the 
retuning of the 800 MHz band, putting Southern in the cellular band 
but leaving other non-Nextel economic area licensees in the non-
cellular band. 

"The 800 MHz channel plan for areas to be designated for cellular 
operations in the 800 MHz band will be different in the southeastern 
part of the United States from the rest of the country. The intent 
of this frequency plan is to accommodate the two large SMR operators 
with existing systems in this area, SouthernLinc and Nextel, and to 
allow both companies to continue their operations once the 800 MHz 
band is reorganized," reads a Realignment Plan for the Southeastern 
United States supplied by SouthernLinc. 

The agreement was reached in negotiations last Friday at the Federal 
Communications Commission and announced without much fanfare in 
letters filed at the FCC Wednesday. 

Nextel did not immediately return a request for comment. 

Preferred Communications Inc., a non-Nextel EA licensee critical of 
the rebanding plan, declined comment. 

The agreement calls for Nextel to pay for the labor costs associated 
with Southern's retuning but not for filter or handset replacements. 

There also appears to be a problem in the Atlanta area, according to 
the letters. "Nextel's subsequent analysis concludes that the non-
cellular channel block may not provide a sufficient number of 
channels in the Atlanta metropolitan area to accommodate a small 
number of non-Nextel, non-Southern incumbent licensees. Nextel notes 
that Southern is optimistic that all non-Nextel, non-Southern 
incumbents in Atlanta can be retuned within a non-cellular channel 
block ending at 813.5/858.5 MHz. Representatives of Nextel and 
Southern have considered various ways to apportion among them a 
possibly reduced cellular, low-site channel block or their 
respective positions within a proposed smaller block," wrote James 
Goldstein, Nextel senior attorney of government affairs. 

SouthernLinc has a different take on the Atlanta situation. 

"Even a cursory review indicates that the shortfall of channels may 
be as few as six channels. Another option to address Nextel's 
concern is to maintain SouthernLinc's 150-channel group in the 
Atlanta Area B starting at 858.5 MHz, and to the extent that during 
this rebanding process it becomes apparent that not all incumbents 
can be accommodated below 858.5 MHz, SouthernLinc would relinquish 
channels starting at 858.5 MHz to retune these incumbents and Nextel 
would provide SouthernLinc with replacement channels on a one-to-one 
basis starting above 862.25 MHz," said Christine Gill, 
SouthernLinc's outside counsel. "Reducing Southern's overall channel 
count in Atlanta Area B would ignore the compromises SouthernLinc 
made on channel count in other parts of its footprint which would 
not be an equitable result." 

As Nextel was seemingly solving its Southern problem, it continues 
to receive static courtesy of Verizon Communications Inc. Following 
up on a letter from William Barr, Verizon executive vice president 
and general counsel and former attorney general under the first 
President Bush, Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) asked the General 
Accounting Office to conduct an investigation into the FCC's 800 MHz 
plan and respond by close of business Friday. 

"I believe this proposal may run afoul of both the Anti-Deficiency 
Act and the Miscellaneous Receipts Act. As you know these statutes 
make it unlawful to disburse or divert money from the federal 
treasury without appropriation or authorization, thus vindicating 
the constitutional command that `no money shall be drawn from the 
treasury, but in consequence of appropriations made by law.' I ask 
that you review the proposal and render an opinion on the question 
whether the FCC's proposed spectrum giveaway is inconsistent with 
the ADA and MRA," said Lautenberg. 

Verizon is located in Lautenberg's state, and his letter was 
released by Verizon Wireless' media-relations office. 

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps said Wednesday that Monday's 
accusation by Verizon that the FCC would violate criminal laws if it 
awards Nextel spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band as part of the solution 
to the 800 MHz public-safety interference problem was another 
example of the "take no prisoners" mentality that seems to permeate 
Washington. 

Last week, RCR Wireless News reported that FCC Chairman Michael 
Powell proposed to his colleagues that replacement spectrum for 
solving the 800 MHz band public-safety interference problem come 
from 1.9 GHz spectrum. 

Nextel said Verizon's warning showed that it competes not in the 
marketplace but rather in Washington. 

"Verizon is showing its true colors—litigation and lobbying are how 
this company competes. Verizon is resorting to scare tactics because 
it is clear that the FCC has the full authority to adopt the 
Consensus Plan and solve the critical problem of public-safety radio 
interference. It is shameful that Verizon is so self-interested and 
anti-competitive that it would threaten FCC commissioners with 
personal criminal liability while the needs of public safety hang in 
the balance," said Leigh Emick Horner, Nextel director of policy 
communications. 

Barr told the FCC it should let Congress decide whether Nextel 
should get the 1.9 GHz spectrum. Last week, one of Verizon's 
supporters, Rep. Jim Nussle (R-Iowa), chairman of the House Budget 
Committee, introduced legislation that would prohibit such an 
action. 

"Nextel's demand that the FCC bypass the public-auction process and 
award it immensely valuable 1.9 GHz spectrum (worth at least $5 
billion) is injurious to the wireless industry and especially to 
Verizon. Given our special need for that spectrum and our 
demonstrated readiness to bid on it, we have told you that as 
between Nextel's proposal and the CTIA compromise by which 2.1 GHz 
spectrum would be sold to Nextel, we obviously would prefer the 
latter," said Barr. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=715

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 03:45:25 -0500

>but leaving other non-Nextel economic area licensees in the non-
Okay ... so Nextel and SoLink are moving up into AMPS cellular space? 
Sprint, Verizon, Cingular and ATT aren't interested in 800 mhz so no 
fuss from them. Motorola gets to sell new handsets. Interesting ... this 
may further the demise of good ole AMPS services.

Cheap shot: if Nextel and SoLink move into the cell band, does that mean 
they have to start acting like a "real" wireless carrier?

*ouch*

Seriously, does this look like the solution destined to replace the 
"Concensus Plan" ?

-rick

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:55:34 -0400

Not the AMPS space, the new "Nextel ""cellular band"" Space", between Public
Safety and AMPS.

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory
http://twowayradiodirectory.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Parrish [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 4:45 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel, SouthernLinc reach agreement for 800 MHz
> rebanding
>
>
> NEXTEL-1 wrote:
>

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:10:11 -0400

As defined by the "SCAM PLANNERS" and disputed by others.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:25:13 -0400

Right.

Nextel is to cellular

like

CB is to two way radio.

Rik Rasmussen
radios4sale Yahoo Group Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radios4sale/

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 12:10 PM

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:36:17 -0400

What is so amazing is last Tuesday a FCC staffer called nextel a "cellular
carrier" durning a conference call with other TRUE cellular/ PCS carriers. One
Exec said "EXCUSE ME?"......The Staffer quickly corrected himself.....and
apologized.

The brain washing even works at the FCC.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:42:07 -0400

If you repeat a lie often enough...........

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory

> Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 3:36 PM

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:00:28 -0500

>Not the AMPS space, the new "Nextel ""cellular band"" Space", between Public
Oh good grief! Yeah, that must be marketing speak.So now we have "iDEN" 
space.

-rick

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "argonnj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:40:59 -0000

Sounds like symantics to me.  Doesn't Nextel operate the same as cellular even though 
they don't operate on cellular channels?  And yes I know Nextel is considered SMR.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:04:08 -0400

> they don't operate on cellular channels?  And yes I know Nextel is considered SMR.

Not exactly the same . Not quite, celluar is goverened by rules  primarily under PART
22--PUBLIC MOBILE SERVICES and nextel is under Part 90.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links