Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ICANN adds IPv6 to root servers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:30:37 -0400

ICANN adds IPv6 to root servers

Thursday 22 July 2004

In response to the rapid growth in the use of the web, Icann (Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) announced it has added
next-generation IPv6 technology to its root DNS (domain name system)
servers, essentially enabling every person and every device to grab an
IP address.

The move has been prompted by growing concerns that today's system,
based on IPv4, could soon become overloaded and run out of domain
addresses.

IPv6 quadruples the size of the internet address field from 32-bits to
128-bits, resulting in the potential availability of trillions of
additional addresses.

These will give not only every human an address but also every mobile
phone, refrigerator, washing machine and device that could be imaginably
linked to the internet, according to Icann.

The TLDs (top level domains) of Japan and Korea (.jp and .kr) became the
first to support IPv6, with France expected to follow shortly.

Icann a global non-profit organisation responsible for co-ordinating the
Internet's naming and numbering systems.
John Blau writes for IDG News Service

http://www.computerweekly.com/

 http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996192

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/