Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia Introduces Smallest, High-Power WCDMA Base Station to U.S. Market

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:16:49 -0400

Nokia Introduces Smallest, High-Power WCDMA Base Station to U.S. Market

Nokia Boosts U.S. 3G Portfolio Designed to Support Both 1900 MHz, 850
MHz
Bands

ESPOO, Finland, July 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Nokia announced today
the newest addition to its portfolio of WCDMA base stations for the
U.S.  market, the Nokia MetroSite 50 BTS. It is the world's smallest
three-sector WCDMA base station whose size and high-power radio
frequency performance will offer flexible deployment options in large
and small coverage areas.  Because of its size, the Nokia MetroSite 50
BTS is a 'siteless' solution that can be installed anywhere, in any
environment - outdoors, indoors, on various surfaces, and in different
positions. This flexibility will yield up to 30 percent in site and
deployment cost savings and will enable operators to build a larger
footprint for revenue-generating WCDMA services, like videoconferencing,
audio and video streaming, and high-speed corporate services. In
addition, designed to follow a 'pay-as-you-evolve' structure, the Nokia
MetroSite 50 BTS, once installed, will have low operational expenses and
low power consumption.

"The Nokia MetroSite 50 BTS enhances our overall WCDMA portfolio
delivering the performance and capabilities of macro base stations in
micro size," said Mark Louison, senior vice president, North America,
Networks, Nokia. "We now have a base station for every type of site,
which affords operators, particularly in the United States, maximum
flexibility when they deploy WCDMA as an overlay architecture.

"U.S. carriers are moving forward with their plans to build and deploy
WCDMA networks across the nation, and we are ready to provide them with
the equipment and services, as well as intelligent functionalities for
GSM/EDGE and WCDMA interworking, they need to do so quickly,
efficiently, and cost-effectively," said Louison.

In addition to the Nokia MetroSite 50 BTS, Nokia's WCDMA BTS portfolio
is comprised of the Nokia UltraSite WCDMA BTS Supreme Indoor, Nokia
UltraSite WCDMA BTS Optima Compact Outdoor, and the Triple-mode Nokia
UltraSite EDGE BTS, which houses GSM, EDGE, and WCDMA technologies in
the same cabinet. All of these platforms are HSDPA-ready (high-speed
downlink packet access) and simultaneously support both WCDMA and HSDPA
traffic, enabling wireless operators the ability to provide simultaneous
voice and data sessions, delivering data at broadband speeds. The Nokia
WCDMA portfolio for the U.S.  market is designed to support both 1900
MHz and 850 MHz bands.  Nokia, a leader in the global WCDMA network
infrastructure market, introduced the Nokia MetroSite 50 BTS in mid-June
at Nokia's annual Nokia Connection event in Helsinki, Finland.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/07-19-2004/0002212474&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/