Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Finds A-GPS Glitch Fix

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:01:23 -0400

Motorola Finds A-GPS Glitch Fix 
By Susan Rush
July 22, 2004
news@2 direct

It turns out the global positioning satellite location (A-GPS) 
services glitch affecting some Motorola iDEN handsets was caused by 
an interface problem. Motorola says a fix has been found.

Earlier this week Motorola and Nextel Communications announced a 
glitch affecting eight Motorola iDEN phones -- being sold by Nextel -
- was discovered. While a fix was sought, Nextel disabled the A-GPS 
service on the Motorola i205, i305, i530, i710, i730, i733, i736 and 
i830 -- the i58 and i88 were not affected by the glitch.

Company engineers have discovered that the root cause of the problem 
stems from a communications problem between the handsets' interface 
and the software module supplied by SiRF Technology Holdings. In a 
joint statement, Motorola and SiRF said the software was functioning 
properly. "The software issue affecting A-GPS location services for 
the Motorola phones is in the interface between the SiRF software 
module and the Motorola handsets," the companies said. 

A fix has been found and the companies are currently testing it.

A-GPS services are used to download real-time weather updates and 
locate vehicle fleets.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=134678&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/