Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Violent Television Programming And Its Impact on Children

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:10:07 -0400

NOTICE OF INQUIRY

In the Matter of

Violent Television Programming 
And Its Impact on Children
MB Docket No. 04-261

Adopted: July 15, 2004
Released:  July 28, 2004

Comment Date:  September 15, 2004
Reply Comment Date:  October 15, 2004

I. INTRODUCTION

1. We initiate this Notice of Inquiry (“NOI”) to seek comment on issues
relating to the presentation of violent programming on television and
its impact on children. Violent television programming content has been
a matter of private and governmental concern and discussion from at
least the early 1950s. Congress’ response, in 1996, was adoption of
Section 551 of the Telecommunication Act 1996, which resulted in the
Commission’s implementation of the companion elements of the voluntary
television rating system  and associated “V-chip” technology in 1998.
More recently, the Commission has received continuing expressions of
Congressional concern with respect to violent programming. On March 5,
2004, thirty-nine members of the U.S. House of Representatives,
Committee on Energy and Commerce, requested the Commission to begin a
“Notice of Inquiry on the issue of excessively violent broadcast
television programming and its impact on children.” This proceeding is
designed to be responsive to these concerns and to update the record on
issues related to programmatic violence.
     
2. Through this proceeding we seek comment and information along the
following lines of inquiry. How much violent programming is there, and
what are the trends? What are the effects of viewing violent programming
on children and other segments of the population?  If particular
portrayals of violence are more likely to cause deleterious effects than
others, what specific kinds of programming should be the focus of any
further public policymaking in this area? Should any further public
policymaking address all violence or just excessive or gratuitous
violence, and how should that be defined? Are the ratings system and the
V-chip accomplishing their intended purpose, or are there additional
mechanisms that might be developed to control exposure to media
violence? Finally, are there legal constraints on either Congress or the
Commission to regulate violent programming?

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-175A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/