Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Says Powell Isn't Leaving Soon- Yea, Yea, Yea- CYA

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:49:32 -0400

Date posted: 2004-07-02

FCC Says Powell Isn't Leaving Soon- Yea, Yea, Yea- CYA

The FCC is trying to dampen speculation that Chairman Michael Powell
plans to leave the agency after the November elections.

"The Los Angeles Times" ran a story quoting telecom lobbyists about
possible changes in the makeup of the commission depending on whether
the GOP retains the White House or if presumed Democratic presidential
nominee John Kerry wins the race.

Of Powell's plans, agency Spokesman David Fiske said to RW: "He's not
thinking about it. He has no plans to leave."

Powell has been a commissioner since 1997 and chairman since 2001.

There could be other changes in the new year. Commissioner Jonathan
Adelstein's term ended a year ago. Under the Communications Act, he
would need a recess appointment to stay beyond the end of the current
session of Congress. Members plan to adjourn in October. A group of
bipartisan senators has petitioned President Bush to grant the Democrat
another term in case Adelstein's re-appointment isn't approved before
Congress adjourns.

Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy's term ended this week, but she can stay
until the next session of Congress adjourns next year.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/one.php?id=2112

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/