Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Optus PTT to cut into mobiles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:53:48 -0400

Chris Jenkins
JUNE 29, 2004

OPTUS will debut its walkie-talkie style push-to-talk mobile service,
Fast Talk, next month with per-day pricing, but expects uptake to lead
to a drop in standard mobile calls.

Unlike rival Telstra, which announced PTT pricing last week, Optus said
it expected PTT to eat into the number of standard mobile calls being
made by subscribers.

However, this would be offset by PTT calls remaining on the Optus
network, as no inter-carrier services were expected to be available
until next year.

"People will make less voice calls, but most intra-net voice calls are
very low-priced anyway," Optus mobiles chief Allen Lew said. "The
financial impact will be minimal."

Optus had delayed its PTT launch to ensure the availability of handsets
from Nokia and Motorola, and their compatibility with the network, Mr
Lew said.

Optus expected the service to be publicly available next month, he said.

Based on the experience of US carriers, up to 25 per cent of users in
targeted markets, including transport, logistics and construction, would
be using PTT within three years, along with around 20 per cent of home
users, Mr Lew said.
"We will start with business, as you do with most services, but we will
develop a skew towards consumers gradually," Mr Lew said.

Optus had yet to announce pricing for its Fast Talk service, but unlike
Telstra would not offer per-second charges, Mr Lew said.

All-you-can-eat pricing would make subscribers more confident about
using the service, he said.
However, it is understood the Optus billing system is unable to handle
per-second charges.

Lack of network interoperability would not be the same problem for PTT
as it was for MMS picture messaging, Mr Lew said. "Because it is
positioned as a group device, the ability to inter-operate has less
impact on determining the take up rate," he said.
The service would encourage families to have mobiles from the same
operator.

Optus would not sell prepaid Fast Talk in the near future because the
handsets were still too expensive, he said.
Initially, one handset each from Nokia and Motorola would be offered, he
said.

As no common PTT had yet been gazetted, Optus would run separate
Motorola and Nokia infrastructure in parallel, Mr Lew said.

A PTT over cellular (PoC) standard was expected to be available in the
first quarter of next year, and existing equipment would be upgraded to
comply with the standard.

Optus expected to be able to upgrade handsets "over the air".

Most competition in the mobile market was based on price, Mr Lew said.
"That's why we have launched innovations like this.
"One of the key points about competition is not only price, but the
introduction of new services. In Australia that has taken a back seat."
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,9983285%5E15320%5E%5Enbv%5E15306,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/