Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Revolution Will Be Sketched Out on Paper (Then Televised)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:35:32 -0400

July 23, 2004

Drazen Pantic used off-the-shelf, inexpensive hardware and software
combined with a community Wi-Fi network to broadcast to live television:
Citizen videobloggers take note. Pantic describes the system he used
(drawn as a simple schematic not much more complicated than the actual
installation) to perform a live, public-access television broadcast
managed by him and two colleagues. The topic? How they were doing what
they were doing, of course.

Pantic’s essay walks through the drop in price, increase in quality, and
proliferation of open-source tools and patent-free/license-free
standards that can allow practically anyone to produce streaming,
broadcast quality television or recorded digital video for later editing
and airing.

We established a wireless connection through a local, public WiFi
network maintained by the non-profit NYC Wireless, and broadcast from
that spot to a computer at MNN studios. The video and audio was captured
by the camcorder and fed into the laptop, where it was encoded as
MPEG4/AAC streams, then sent out as a unicast stream via the WiFi
connection. At MNN they played the stream through a scan converter —
which converts the stream on a computer into a video signal — then
broadcast it live on the air.

It’s not just a sign of things to come. It’s a sign that things have
changed.
Posted by Glenn Fleishman at July 23, 2004 10:51 AM
http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004027.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/