Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MDC Replacement and Cell phone Data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:44:57 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "TLNixon" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  MDC Replacement and Cell phone Data

  I am the Technical Services Officer for a midwest police department.

We are currently using approximately 45 Data 911 Mobile Data 
Computers and 800 mhz EDACS Trunked system for our data.

We just purchased some new Aether Pocket Blue handheld devices using 
AT&T Wireless Service. If this works well, we will consider looking 
to incorporate it for our MDC service as well.

It is time to plan to replace the aging Data 911 Pentium 233 MDC's.

Curious what other departments are using. We're considering laptops 
and wireless cards for them using the same system. The bandwidth and 
amount of data we can transfer would make a large improvement.

Is there anyone else here who is runs MDC's? If so, I am curious what 
your set-up involves, especially if you are using cellular 
technology. Please let me know how the cost offsets the capabilities 
gained.

Our department began using Motorola KDT mobile data terminals in the 
mid '80s, and switched in 1999 to the system we currently have, when 
Y2K concerns, and Motorola more or less abandoned support of the KDT 
program.

You can E-mail me off-list if you like at tlnixon @nospam yahoo.com.

Obviously remove the "nospam."

Thanks

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/