Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety Exercise Highlights Broadband Networking Solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:43:07 -0400

Public Safety Exercise Highlights Broadband Networking Solution

ABCs of Mobile Mesh Networking

By David Thompson

Author BIO --
David Thompson is the Vice President of Marketing for PacketHop, a
developer of mobile mesh networking solutions for homeland security,
based in Silicon Valley in California.  For more information, call
650.292.5005 or visit www.packethop.com.

Mobile Mesh Network:

 A self-organizing wireless communications network in which every mobile
device becomes a network router thereby enabling instant and survivable
connectivity with other devices in the mesh network. A mobile mesh
network does not require fixed network infrastructure, such as base
stations or access points, to provide communications between devices.
However, when fixed infrastructure is available, it becomes an
additional resource utilized by the mobile mesh network.

Mobile mesh networking was first used by the U.S. Department of Defense
for creating survivable, mission-critical networks in the battlefield,
where there was no fixed infrastructure or central servers and where
network failure meant loss of life. First responders
– police, fire, FBI and others – have similar requirements.

Mobile mesh software is loaded onto standard IP-radio equipped devices
like laptops, PDAs and tablets enabling a mobile broadband network to be
created instantly. The mobile mesh network can perform as a stand-alone
mesh network of mobile devices when no fixed infrastructure is
available, or it can interoperate with and utilize standard fixed
infrastructure (e.g. 802.11). As a result, mobile mesh networking
delivers mission-critical communications between public safety agencies
responding to any
incident.

Traditional hub-and-spoke networks require all data to be routed back to
an access point, and then to the central server, before it gets routed
to its destination – even if the destination is a mere few feet away. In
contrast, in a mobile mesh network, data transmission is optimized
because each device makes efficient use of all of the network resources
available for moving every type of broadband data: video, images, large
text files, etc.

A mobile mesh network effectively eliminates the possibility of a single
point of failure. As devices join the mesh, network resources and
bandwidth increase. And, a mobile mesh network can grow to support
thousands of first responders in a large-scale emergency.

Leveraging Wi-Fi/802.11 radios that are now standard in virtually every
mobile computing device, mobile mesh networking is the most commercially
viable and cost-effective solution for enabling secure, mobile,
interoperable and survivable broadband communications for homeland
security.

http://www.ita-relay.com/magazine/PW2004/June_July04/MobileMesh.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/