Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ready for Deployment: First Wideband Speech Codec for 3G CDMA2000 Networks

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:00:25 -0400

Ready for Deployment: First Wideband Speech Codec for 3G CDMA2000
Networks

NOKIA LOGO
Nokia logo. (PRNewsFoto)[AG]
IRVING, TX USA 01/30/2004

Nokia CDMA2000 Speech Codec Standard Fully Interoperable With WCDMA
Speech
Codec Standard, Enabling Efficient Multimedia Services Across Networks

SAN DIEGO, July 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The first CDMA2000 wideband
speech codec standard developed by 3GPP2/TIA is ready for large-scale
deployment.  Nokia's (NYSE: NOK) Variable-rate Multimode Wideband speech
codec (VMR-WB) has been comprehensively characterized and specified by
3GPP2, and is the first speech codec standard that is fully
interoperable with 3GPP/AMR-WB, the standard in GSM and WCDMA networks.

VMR-WB is the first 3GPP2 speech codec standard that enables both
multimode wideband and narrowband speech processing capability within
the same software package.  It offers voice quality that surpasses that
of today's wireless and wireline networks and is designed to deliver
high-level performance under severe channel error and background noise
conditions.  In addition to superior voice quality, the interoperability
between VMR-WB and AMR-WB standards is a significant leap toward global
compatibility of multimedia services across various cellular and
non-cellular networks.  The VMR-WB standard outperforms the existing
wireless and wireline codecs operating at the same data rates and can be
used in a variety of circuit-switched or packet-switched multimedia
applications including mobile-to-mobile conversational voice services,
voice over IP, and multimedia messaging and streaming services.

"Nokia is a recognized leader in GSM and WCDMA technologies, so the
success and deployment readiness of VMR-WB is a proof point of how we
are excelling in CDMA technologies, as well," said Adam Gould, vice
president of CDMA technology management and strategy for Nokia.
"Moreover, VMR-WB is an example of how important interoperability is as
third generation networks become more prevalent, and operators work to
improve quality of voice and revenue-generating applications to draw
customers to 3G, whether it be through CDMA2000 or WCDMA networks."

Nokia's VMR-WB speech codec was selected in April 2003 by 3GPP2 through
a highly competitive process.  The standardization of VMR-WB set the
record as the fastest technical effort of its kind in 3GPP2, initiated
and driven by Nokia.
The algorithmic specification of VMR-WB standard has been published by
3GPP2 and TIA as 3GPP2 C.S0052-0 v1.0 and TIA-1016, respectively, and
its software will be available through these organizations and Nokia.

About Nokia

Nokia is the world leader in mobile communications, driving the growth
and sustainability of the broader mobility industry.  Nokia is dedicated
to enhancing people's lives and productivity by providing easy-to-use
and innovative products like mobile phones, and solutions for imaging,
games, media, mobile network operators and businesses.  Nokia is a
broadly held company with listings on five major exchanges.
Contact:
Media Relations
Nokia Americas
972-894-4573
[email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/