Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Fraud Detection System Fails Again- Identity theft victim settles $10K Nextel phone bill

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:03:20 -0400

Nextel Fraud Detection System Fails Again-
Nextel Communications Inc. Billed a Fraudulent Account For 3 years.

Identity theft victim settles $10K Nextel phone bill
By Jason Lesher
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 17, 2004

When Jerry Dean, 32, of Latrobe, refinanced his mortgage last year, his
bank saw no problems with his credit rating.
He didn't have problems buying a new car in February, either.

Then on July 7, he received a call from a collection agency for Nextel
Communications Inc. seeking compensation for $10,836.18 in unpaid phone
bills rung up during the past three years.

Unbeknownst to Dean, he had a billing address somewhere in a Chicago
industrial district.
Latrobe police said someone apparently used Dean's personal information
and opened an account with Nextel on July 26, 2001.

The account was closed that December. Dean said a collection agency
lawyer told him that late notices had been sent to the Illinois address
since then, but no one contacted him -- and nothing showed up on his
credit report -- until just over a week ago.
"From what I understand from their fraud division, they were switching
their billing company, and it all just got lost in the shuffle," he
said.

Dean said the company quickly cleared his account when it became obvious
they were dealing with a case of identity theft. He did not find out how
the bill grew to more than $10,000.

He also hasn't been able to figure out how someone stole his identity,
but said the thief could have gotten all the information, even his
Social Security number, off the Internet.

He blamed the frequent use of Social Security numbers in banking,
insurance and other businesses for the spread of personal information.

Latrobe police are investigating his case, but Dean doesn't think they
have much chance of catching his alter ego.
"Whoever it was, they're probably long gone," he said. "They moved on to
someone else."

Jason Lesher can be reached at [email-masked] or (724) 834-1151.
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/westmoreland/s_203858.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/