Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Politics Puts Nextel Agenda Ahead of Police, Firefighter Communication

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:26:27 -0400

Clueless fuddy-duddy dog Chairman Powell had better resign while he still
has a tail to tuck between his hind legs.  And he ought to beat a hasty
retreat while the getting is good, if indeed it isn't too late!  Then
again, Powell would look good in stripes.  Prison food would quickly
cause Powell to regain a slimmer appearance.

Chairman Powell is technologically illiterate, has no business acumen,
and doesn't even understand the "rewards" for dirty politics.

Alan Dixon
"The Washington Iconoclast"
<[email-masked]>

> > --- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:

Coalition: FCC's Approval of Nextel Spectrum Grab Fails Firefighters,
Police and Other Emergency First Responders

Politics Puts Nextel Agenda Ahead of Police, Firefighter Communication
Needs; First Response Coalition is Growing, Adds New Members

WASHINGTON, July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- The firefighters, police officers 
and concerned groups comprising the First Response Coalition 
(http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org) said today that the 
endorsement by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) of the 
Nextel spectrum grab "places politics ahead of the police and firefighter

communication crisis highlighted by 9/11."  The Coalition called on 
Congress through the GAO or the courts to overrule the FCC's 
ill-advised decision and dedicate funding for interoperability.

Gene Stilp, who is coordinator of the Coalition and a volunteer
firefighter, EMT and vice president of the Dauphin-Middle Paxton Fire
Company #1, in Dauphin, Pa., noted:  "This is a sad day for
firefighters, police officers and other emergency personnel across
America.  Since 9/11 this Administration has failed to provide funding
to solve interoperability problems.  Today's decision by the 
Commission continues to ignore this critical need.  They had a major 
opportunity here, but they ignored the needs of first responders in 
order to solve a political problem and to bailout Nextel. We call upon 
the courts and Congress to reverse the FCC's decision.  We urge 
them to adopt the first response plan, which will help solve the 
interoperability problem and the Nextel interference problem."

Stilp added: "The $2.5 billion letter of credit from Nextel pales in
comparison to the five to 10 billion dollars that would be raised 
from a legitimate auction of this spectrum.  This money could have 
been earmarked to make the interoperability problems in 
American cities and towns a thing of the past.  Now we have 
another list of promises, inadequate funding and additional years 
of delay.  To anyone who understands how thinly stretched the 
budgets of fire, police, and other emergency responders are today, 
this 'plan' is an extremely poor action that fails the public.  
Unfortunately, it is the American public that will pay the price 
here if the courts and Congress do not intervene to overrule 
the FCC."

COALITION EXPANDS
Since its launch in June, the First Response Coalition has grown 
rapidly in recent weeks to include the National Black Police 
Officers, the American Legislative Exchange Council and the 
California Seniors Coalition.  In addition to Stilp and William 
Fox, commissioner, Metropolitan Fire Association, New York 
City, the Coalition's original members include the Gray 
Panthers, and the Black Chamber of Commerce, and the 
American Corn Growers.

BACKGROUND ON THE COALITION PLAN

On June 24, 2004, the First Response Coalition held a news 
conference to oppose the Nextel spectrum grab and to release 
a white paper entitled "Safety Over Spectrum: A Plan for First 
Responder Communications."  The Coalition white paper outlined 
an alternate approach that puts the primary emphasis not on 
Nextel's commercial agenda, but, instead, on smoothing the way 
for police and firefighters struggling to address post-September 
11th demands to improve and coordinate emergency
communications.

The Coalition's white paper stated: "Today, and (as was) unfortunately 
evident on September 11th, the communications systems of public 
safety departments are not interoperable.  It is difficult, if not 
impossible, for different departments from different (or sometimes the 
same) jurisdictions to communicate because their systems and 
equipment cannot interact.  Resolution of this crisis must be swift, 
or the danger to our first responders and all Americans will continue 
to skyrocket.  As urgent and complicated as this problem is, the 
situation is exacerbated by the actions of Nextel Communications.  
Guised as an effort to help public safety departments eliminate 
interference problems in their communications systems, Nextel is 
waging a multi-million dollar campaign which is diverting attention 
and possible resources away from the real issue of communications 
interoperability."

As outlined late last month, the First Response Plan outlined by the
Coalition calls for:

* Holding Nextel responsible for all instances of interference it 
causes and ensuring the company works with local public safety 
departments to resolve the problems.

* Auctioning spectrum in the 1.9 GHz band and earmarking the proceeds
for upgrading first responder communications systems.

* Developing an accelerated regional deployment schedule to ensure 
that public safety communications systems are upgraded by 2006.

* Providing low-interest loans and guarantees to assist underserved 
and economically-disadvantaged communities in obtaining the newest
communications technologies.

* Establishing advisory panels to recommend solutions that adequate
address the disparate needs of America's diverse communities.

ABOUT THE COALITION
The First Response Coalition (http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org)
consists of citizens, individual first responders, and advocacy groups
who are particularly concerned about first responders having the best
possible communications capabilities.  The First Response Coalition
believes interoperability issues must be addressed by the FCC in any
plan that reorganizes spectrum and will disrupt public safety
communications systems across the country.

The First Response Coalition believes that adequate funding for 
improving public safety communication systems is the highest priority. 
It believes that a common-sense solution is for Congress to require 
an auction for the frequencies at 1.9 GHz, which the FCC is giving 
away for free, and to then dedicate that money for public safety 
improvements. The First Response Coalition recognizes that low 
income, rural, and underserved communities lack the resources to 
upgrade their technology. It supports an accelerated regional 
deployment schedule to ensure that all public safety communications 
systems are interoperable by 2006, and that low-interest loans and 
loan guarantees are made available to assist underserved and 
economically-disadvantaged communities in obtaining the
newest communications technologies.

SOURCE First Response Coalition, Washington, DC
Web Site: http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/07
-08-2004/0002207005&EDATE=

---

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:37:59 -0400

I think Timmy would look good in stripes also, plus Powell will need a
girlfriend.
Kenneth Lay & Martha will throw them a welcome home party!