Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Homeland Security Department Lacking in Wireless Security

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:22:19 -0400

Homeland Security Department Lacking in Wireless Security

The Department of Homeland Security's wireless communications networks
are not secure, according to a report from the department's Inspector
General. After a recent inspection, it was found that the department had
not established security measures to protect its wireless networks and
devices, therefore allowing the possibility of sensitive information
falling into the wrong hands. The report found no current procedure for
reporting and deactivating missing handheld devices, no firewalls
between wired and wireless networks, no checks for rogue devices and
wireless signals broadcasting beyond the perimeters of secure
facilities. The Inspector General made recommendations to the department
for improving wireless security.

===============================================================================

Report: Homeland Security vulnerable to wireless hackers
From Jeanne Meserve

CNN Washington Bureau
Thursday, July 1, 2004 Posted: 7:47 AM EDT (1147 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Although charged with making the nation more secure,
the Department of Homeland Security has not taken the steps needed to
secure its own wireless communications, according to a report from the
department's Inspector General.

Wireless messaging services played a critical role following the
September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. While cellular telephone service
was out, key personnel remained in contact using messaging services.

But wireless technology can facilitate unauthorized access to wired
networks and data through eavesdropping or theft. Those vulnerabilities
increase the need for strong security controls.

The Inspector General says the department has not established security
measures to protect its wireless networks and devices.
As such, the report concludes that Homeland Security cannot ensure that
its sensitive information about terrorist threats and security is not
being monitored, accessed, and misused.

A Homeland Security handbook, for instance, does not give instructions
on how to report and deactivate stolen handheld devices.

In some instances, security controls that have been instituted do not
provide adequate protection or were not implemented. The Inspector
General found instances in which there were no firewalls between wired
and wireless networks, or checks to see if rogue devices had been
introduced.

In some tests, investigators detected Homeland Security wireless signals
broadcasting beyond the perimeters of secure facilities.
"We detected wireless signals ... in the parking lot, on public roads
behind the facility, and in the surrounding residences," the report
says. "These wireless signals create security vulnerabilities such as
eavesdropping and denial of service attacks."
Investigators also detected wireless signals from surrounding residences
and businesses within some Homeland Security facilities.

"These signals can be used to monitor or gain access to DHS wireless
networks and sensitive data," the report says.
The Inspector General makes five recommendations for improving wireless
security in the department.
In a written response, the department said it has already taken steps to
implement the recommendations.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/06/30/security.gap/index.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/