Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Gives $500K+ To The DNC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:45:40 -0400

Posted on Sun, Jul. 25, 2004
Donors plan parties for political parties

The New York Times

WASHINGTON As the political conventions begin, corporate big spenders,
who have been restrained by new campaign finance laws, finally can cut
loose.

Raytheon, IBM and Fidelity Investments each gave at least $1 million to
the host committee for the Democratic National Convention in Boston,
according to a donor list. AT&T, Amgen and Nextel Communications each
gave at least $500,000.
In all, more than 150 donors have contributed more than $39.5 million
money they could not legally give to a political party or a candidate
under the new law but are permitted to donate to a convention.

Contributors are outdoing themselves to finance the conventions and
spend money on social events throughout Boston and New York, where the
Republican National Convention will be held starting Aug. 30.

The political parties can thank provisions in federal campaign finance
laws and congressional ethics rules that allow almost unlimited spending
at conventions and their attendant social events.

In Boston this week there will be a reception at Fenway Park before the
Red Sox play the Yankees, as well as boat cruises, golf outings,
concerts and late-night events in such locations as the trendy club
Saint, which features an all-red &ldquo;bordello room&rdquo; and beds
for patrons to lounge.

Lists circulating around Washington's K Street lobbying corridor trumpet
200 to 300 official and unofficial events from Saturday to Thursday.
Similar itineraries are being created for the Republican convention.

Depending on how much they have given, donors might get invitations to
choice events or wads of passes to the convention.
Many are throwing parties in the hope of mixing with lawmakers,
congressional staff members and other key decision makers, building
relationships in Washington that could be good for their businesses.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/news/politics/9236161.htm?1c

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/