Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Communications Named Official Wireless Service Provider of Democratic National Convention

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:54:26 -0400

Nextel Communications Named Official Wireless Service Provider of
Democratic National Convention
Thursday July 1, 5:53 pm ET

Democrats Let Freedom Ring in Beantown Using Nextel
Technology

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 1, 2004--Paul Revere may not have had to
ride all the way to Lexington if he had a Nextel phone. But
conventioneers in Boston this July will not have the same problem. The
Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) and Boston 2004, Inc.,
the host committee for the 2004 Democratic National Convention, today
announced Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) as the
Official Wireless Service Provider of the 2004 Democratic National
Convention and host committee.

"Without question, this Convention
will be the most technologically
advanced in the history of the
Democratic Party," said Rod
O'Connor, CEO of the DNCC.
"We're pleased to have the
expertise and latest technology from
Nextel as a critical part of our
nominating celebration this
summer."

"Boston has long been a center of
technological innovation in wireless
communication and networking
services," said Julie Burns,
executive director of Boston 2004,
Inc. "Nextel has a long history of
partnering with the city of Boston
and as a strong supporter of Boston 2004, Inc.,
so this is a natural fit. Nextel will continue playing
an integral role ensuring that this convention is a great success for
our city."

As the Official Wireless Service Provider, Nextel has committed various
communication products and services to the DNCC and to Boston 2004,
including: wireless phones equipped with Nextel Direct Connect®, the
instant long-range digital walkie-talkie service; RIM BlackBerry®
devices with Nextel cellular, Direct Connect, wireless Internet and
email capabilities; and iM1100 PCMCIA wireless modem cards, which will
allow a direct connection to the Internet (no ISP required) or dial-up
access to a phone line.  Convention organizers will have use of Nextel's
wireless data network, cellular phone service and Direct Connect
functionality, which will allow instant communication on-site, as well
as with other Nextel users anywhere in the United States. Nextel will
also offer on-site services and superior wireless coverage for
delegates, the media, and others in attendance.

"Nextel is delighted to partner with the DNCC and Boston 2004, Inc. by
providing state of the art communications in Boston this summer.
Convention organizers and participants will communicate safely and
reliably during the convention and the significant enhancements to our
network will improve Nextel's service in greater Boston for years to
come," said Bob Johnson, senior vice president of Field Operations for
Nextel.

To ensure seamless communication among the various agencies involved in
Convention planning and security, Nextel is working with organizers and
public safety officials to meet their unique needs for wireless
coverage, capacity and interoperability.  Nextel has enhanced its entire
Boston network to increase system coverage and capacity and boosted
wireless coverage at the Fleet Center, Logan Airport, numerous hotels,
and other key locations throughout the city.

Nextel will also deploy specialized vehicles for satellite cellular
coverage in and around the Boston area to provide support and redundancy
for everyday communications, as well as in the event of a communications
emergency. The Nextel network is well prepared for the increased system
demand expected from the 35,000 delegates, media, and visitors who will
attend the convention.

About DNCC
The Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) is the official
organizing arm of the Democratic National Committee in charge of
planning the party's convention every 4 years. From July 26-29, the
Democratic Party will assemble in Boston, MA, for the 44th Democratic
National Convention to present to the country the Democratic
presidential and vice presidential nominees.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040701/15773_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/