Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Radio Frequency Device Facility To Improve Firefighter Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:36:10 -0400

Governor Pataki Announces Florian Wireless to Create 350 Jobs
Radio Frequency Device Facility To Improve Firefighter Communications

Governor George E. Pataki today announced that Florian Wireless, Inc., a
Pennsylvania based company, will locate its state-of-the-art radio
frequency (RF) device design and manufacturing facility in Painted Post,
Steuben County. A total of 350 new jobs will be created, including 245
manufacturing positions with an average salary of more than $30,000.
The first devices Florian intends to produce will allow firefighters to
vastly improve communications while battling fires and in other
disasters. This technology will also be the first technology that will
allow the exact positioning of firefighters within a building, aiding in
the ability to find trapped firefighters.

"We are excited to have Florian Wireless, Inc. as our newest member of
the high-tech manufacturing community in New York State," Governor
Pataki said. "Attracted by our outstanding workforce and smart economic
policies, more and more science and technology-based companies like
Florian are making the intelligent choice to invest and expand here in
Upstate New York."

Senator John R. Kuhl, Jr., said, "The arrival of Florian Wireless is
exciting and significant as we continue to position our region for
success within the high-tech industry. It also reaffirms Governor
Pataki's commitment to make New York State a worldwide leader in an
industry that promises a future of economic opportunity and progress."

Assemblyman Jim Bacalles said, "I am elated that Florian Wireless has
chosen to locate in Steuben County. This is certainly welcome news and
will mean that our skilled workers will be rewarded with good jobs. The
success of the State's economic development initiatives, thanks to
Governor Pataki and Empire State Development Chairman Gargano, will be
predicated on announcements such as this. I couldn't be more pleased to
see the Empire Zone produce results."

Florian Wireless will invest an estimated $4,140,000 over four years to
turn the existing building into a state-of-the-art facility to
manufacture the sensitive devices. The company will lease approximately
42,000 square feet of space at 208 North Hamilton Street, Painted Post,
Steuben County.

Brian J. Valania, President and COO said, "I would like to thank the
Governor and Empire State Development first for their understanding of
the specific needs of start-ups, and for the assistance they have given
in getting us started here in Steuben County. There is a great tradition
of fiberoptic, optoelectronic and communications related R&D and
manufacturing here, specifically from Corning. We are pleased to
continue the tradition."

Dewitt T. Baker, Chairman, Steuben County Legislature, said, "We
certainly appreciate industry coming into Steuben County because in the
past we have lost many positions as far as employment is concerned. The
creation of 350 additional jobs will benefit Steuben County a great
deal."

Dr. Edward Franklin, Jr., Mayor, Village of Painted Post, said, "The
Village of Painted Post is delighted to be the home of Florian Wireless.
We appreciate Governor Pataki's business initiatives that will create
and retain jobs for New York State and will benefit all New Yorkers."

Thomas M. Tammaro, Supervisor, Town of Erwin, said, "We appreciate the
efforts of the Governor and the Empire State Development Corporation to
bring this opportunity to the village and town.  This new industry will
benefit not only our area, but Steuben County and the entire valley,
providing new employment opportunities for the well qualified workers
living here."
Empire State Development Chairman Charles A. Gargano said, "Florian
could have chosen to expand its operations at its current location in
Pennsylvania, but saw that New York State is the place to be for
high-tech companies. Thanks to the Governor's economic development
vision for Upstate New York, we were able to work with Florian Wireless
to help them get started right here."

Founded in August 2001, Florian Wireless will design and manufacture
radio frequency (RF) devices that can be used to aid fire-fighters, swat
teams and other EMS members, as well as the military, on rescue and
other missions.

This new device will allow Biometric (heart, breathing, BP) data as well
as the position of the firefighter within the structure to be sent
within moments of trouble to a command center. The technology is ultra
wideband (UWB), which was approved by the FCC for Firefighter and rescue
workers on February 14, 2002.

At a recent three-day Emergency Management meeting in New York City, EMS
and city officials mentioned the need for drastically improved
communications. These devices could have been helpful on September 11. A
major problem with the rescue efforts during that disaster was the
inability for the firefighters to communicate with each other and with
their command centers.

In consideration of its commitment to the New York State economy,
Florian Wireless, Inc. is eligible to apply for a $350,000 Capital Grant
from Empire State Development.

http://www.gorr.state.ny.us/gorr/07_20_02_empire_painted_post.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/