Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.S., Europe finally agree on GPS networks

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:31:34 -0400

U.S., Europe finally agree on GPS networks
By John Walko
CommsDesign.com
Jun 28, 2004

LONDON — A deal signed at the weekend summit between the U.S. and the
European Union clears the way for interoperability between the the
European Galileo global positioning system, which is still under
development, and the U.S. GPS network.

The U.S. has been holding out for over 18 months, seeking assurances
that Galileo would not interfere with the American GPS system, which is
controlled by the U.S. militay, and that the European network would have
the same accuracy.
The hard-fought agreement means that GPS handsets used worldwide will be
able to use both networks.
The Galileo navigation system is
based on 30 satellites and ground
stations and is scheduled to be fully
operational by 2008. However, with
an agreement now concluded, initial
launches are now planned for later
this year.

Earlier this month, the European
Commission (EC) launched a second
call for research proposals for the
satellite radio navigation project. The
development and deployment of the
network is expected to give a huge
boost to Europe's aerospace and
communications sectors, and give it
autonomy from the U.S.

A recent forecast by the EC suggested the market created by Galileo and
other GPS systems could create 100,000 jobs and generate annual revenues
of $10 billion.
http://www.commsdesign.com/news/market_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID="102332

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/