Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IDT to Deploy America's First Commercial WiFi Phone Service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:49:06 -0400

IDT to Deploy America's First Commercial WiFi Phone Service

Ironbound Section of Newark, New Jersey To Be First Area Covered

Newark, N.J., April 22, 2004 - IDT Corporation today announced plans to 
deploy the first commercial WiFi phone service in the US. IDT's WiFi 
phone service will allow users to bypass local phone companies and make 
domestic and international phone calls via a wireless connection to the 
internet. IDT plans to initially roll out the WiFi service in select 
areas of the Ironbound section of Newark, New Jersey. This initial 
deployment will provide research to help IDT develop the new service as 
it is rolled out in other areas. The new phone service will utilize 
Net2Phone's innovative Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) platform. 
IDT Corporation (NYSE: IDT, IDT. C), is a multinational carrier, 
telephone and technology company. In its April 5th issue, Fortune 
magazine placed IDT 746th in its ranking of America's top 1000 
companies. Based upon results from last quarter IDT has an annualized 
revenue rate of more than $2 billion.

  "IDT is opening up the next frontier in telecommunications," said 
Howard Jonas, Chairman of IDT Corp. "By combining WiFi wireless 
technology with IDT's global telecommunications network and retail 
distribution, Net2Phone's VoIP platform and the fixed wireless 
infrastructure of IDT Business Services (Winstar), IDT is providing 
residential consumers with a more affordable and flexible phone 
service."

WiFi phone customers will not need their own expensive broadband 
connection to access the service. IDT will provide wide area WiFi 
coverage in the targeted neighborhoods. Calls will be routed via 
Net2Phone's VoIP platform, and terminated by IDT's worldwide 
telecommunications network and infrastructure. IDT Business Services' 
(Winstar) fixed wireless network will provide backhaul services for the 
traffic. IDT is currently deploying its initial network and expects to 
begin service in Newark within 30-60 days.

"While many are still talking about WiFi phone service, IDT is making 
it a reality," said Jim Courter, IDT's CEO. "IDT is bringing the first 
commercial WiFi phone service into the marketplace. Not only have we 
found a profitable application for WiFi, but we're creating a new 
industry within telecommunications that can provide basic phone service 
for a fraction of the cost of traditional phone service."

IDT's network is being designed to be compatible with advances in 
wireless technology. IDT's WiFi customers will benefit from a seamless 
transition to WiMax service as that technology matures and becomes more 
widespread.

"Net2Phone pioneered VoIP," said Stephen Greenberg, CEO of Net2Phone. 
"Now, together with IDT, we are launching the next generation in 
telecom. With IDT's reach and infrastructure expertise and Net2Phone's 
innovative VoIP platform, we are well positioned to ride the burgeoning 
WiFi network explosion to offer consumers and businesses affordable 
telephony services."

"Companies like IDT have led the renaissance of Newark," said the 
Honorable Sharpe James, Mayor of the City of Newark. "Believe it or 
not, there are still people in America who cannot afford basic home 
phone service. Now IDT is using its technology to bridge the 
'telecommunications divide.' Because of IDT, Newark becomes the first 
city in America where affordable WiFi phone service will be 
commercially available."

http://www.mobic.com/news/publisher/view.do?id=2627

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/