Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FROM BROWARD SHERIFF’S OFFICE- WARNING WHEN PURCHASING VONAGE BROADBAND PHONE SERVICE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:39:48 -0400

FYI-
=============================================================================

WARNING WHEN PURCHASING VONAGE BROADBAND PHONE SERVICE
THIS IS AN INTERNET BASED PHONE SERVICE OFFERED OVER YOUR TELEPHONE AND
CABLE PROVIDER’S BROADBAND LINES.

VERY IMPORTANT
LIFE, SAFETY & LIABILITY CONCERNS
MUST BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION
THE CITY OF WESTON AND THE BROWARD SHERIFF’S OFFICE
CAN TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TIMELINESS OF
PUBLIC SAFETY AND EMERGENCY RESPONSES TO RESIDENTS
OR BUSINESSES UTILIZING VONAGE PHONE SERVICE

9-1-1 type Emergency dialing capability – is NOT automatic. You must
request and successfully activate the 911 type dialing feature before
you can dial 911.

It is NOT traditional 9-1-1 access to emergency services. Vonage offers
a limited 911 TYPE service, which is NOT routed to the 911 dispatchers.
You will be routed to the general telephone number for the Public Safety
Answering Point (PSAP) or emergency service provider. Vonage requires
that you (the consumer) acknowledge that there may be a greater
possibility that the general telephone number will produce a busy signal
or will take longer to answer than traditional 911 dialing.

Vonage 911 dialing: Cannot transmit identification of the address that
you have listed: You must be able to state the nature of the emergency,
including location. Emergency personnel WILL NOT be able to find your
location if the call is unable to be completed, is dropped or is
disconnected or if you are unable to speak to tell them this
information. It may or may not allow for local emergency personnel to
identify your telephone number.

Outages will prevent all services, including access to 911 dialing: A
power outage, broadband service outage, or cable service outage
affecting your home or business, or a change in physical location of
your Vonage equipment will prevent you from being able to use Vonage’s
service, and will prevent you from being able to call 911.

Possibility of Network Congestion and/or Reduced Speed for Routing 911:
There is greater possibility of network congestion and/or reduced speed
in the routing of 911 communications utilizing Vonage equipment as
compared to traditional 911 dialing over traditional telephone networks.

Safety & Liability: If there is an emergency at your residence or
business and you are not there and have not instructed family,
babysitters, guests, the elderly, or employees how to activate the
Vonage system, you may be placing them in danger because of the
inability to contact emergency service. Vonage will not accept any
responsibility or liability for the inability to contact emergency
services and requires that you indemnify Vonage for any claims resulting
from your or any other person’s inability to dial 911 or to access
emergency service personnel using Vonage’s service.

For further information about the terms of Vonage’s service, please
visit the Vonage website that contains the terms of its Service
Agreement at www.vonage.com.
#24163

http://www.westonfl.org/commission_departments/Vonage%20Warning.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/