Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless Lands Priority Access Contract

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:20:56 -0400

AT&T Wireless Lands Priority Access Contract
BY SUSAN RUSH
JULY 27, 2004

AT&T Wireless has become the latest carrier to ink a contract with the
U.S.  government to provide wireless priority service (WSP) access to
security and emergency personnel. The carrier says its first WSP point
is the city of Boston, the host of the Democratic National Convention.

The National Communications System, which oversees the WSP program, has
awarded AT&T Wireless a contract that will span the carrier's nationwide
network.  The carrier says it will roll out WSP on a phase-in basis,
first in Boston and then follow in other cities covered by its network
in the future.

The WSP program is designed to give priority status to calls placed by
government authorized security and emergency responders during an
emergency. During those times, authorized callers will dial an access
code (*272) before placing a call.  These calls will be given priority
over newly placed calls, but will not interrupt calls already in
progress, AT&T Wireless says.
Giving emergency personnel and security officials priority access over
other wireless consumers has been an ever increasing issue in the
wireless sector.  Carriers were first put on the defensive following the
terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, and then again during the blackout
in the Northeast last summer.

T-Mobile was awarded the first WSP contract back in January 2003. Since
then, the
carrier has deployed WPS initial operating capability (IOC) services to
a majority
of its coverage areas around the country, according to the National
Communications System

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=07/27/04

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:22:16 +0000

But WHY? Isn't Nextel the only wireless carrier for the DNC convention? :-)

---

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:46:49 -0400

"Fools rush in ... "  First responders get screwed again.  Surely Todd
Beamer turns in his grave.

Alan Dixon
'The Industry Iconoclast'

*Wireless priority access service: "Get Less"

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:20:56 -0400 [email-masked] writes:
AT&T Wireless Lands Priority Access Contract
BY SUSAN RUSH
JULY 27, 2004

AT&T Wireless has become the latest carrier to ink a contract with the 
U.S.  government to provide wireless priority service (WSP) [sic] access
to 
security and emergency personnel. The carrier says its first WSP point 
is the city of Boston, the host of the Democratic National Convention.

The National Communications System, which oversees the WSP [sic] program,
has 
awarded AT&T Wireless a contract that will span the carrier's nationwide 
network.  The carrier says it will roll out WSP [sic] on a phase-in
basis, 
first in Boston and then follow in other cities covered by its network 
in the future.

The WSP [sic] program is designed to give priority status to calls placed
by 

T-Mobile was awarded the first WSP [sic] contract back in January 2003. 
Since then, the carrier has deployed WPS [sic] initial operating
capability 
(IOC) services to a majority of its coverage areas around the country, 
according to the National Communications System

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pub
date=07/27/04

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Smith, William E. (US-BKTN-Telecom)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:06:10 -0400

When all the homeland security priority access hype is gone, which
carrier will be the first to market at least a limited priority access
service to the public? I'm sure any rules against such a practice will
conveniently be ignored if the right carrier does it. Or am I just too
cynical? 

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Dixon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 10:47 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: AT&T Wireless Lands Priority Access Contract

Alan Dixon

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:20:56 -0400 [email-masked] writes: AT&T
Wireless Lands Priority Access Contract BY SUSAN RUSH JULY 27, 2004

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential to National Grid and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to this message and let the sender know.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links