Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cubic's Tactical Common Data Link Excels in Recent Flight Tests; Demonstrates Interoperability with Existing Systems

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:27:32 -0400

June 22, 2004 11:14 AM US Eastern Timezone
Cubic's Tactical Common Data Link Excels in Recent Flight Tests;
Demonstrates Interoperability with Existing Systems

SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 22, 2004--Recent flight tests have
proved the high quality air-to-ground transmission capability and
interoperability of a new Tactical Common Data Link (TCDL) developed by
Cubic Corporation (AMEX:CUB). In three separate tests sponsored by
industry partners and government agencies, Cubic's digital data link was
used for multibeam communications, transmission of rocket telemetry
data, and real-time video streaming during a counterterrorism training
exercise.

"These important tests pave the way for increased use of Cubic's
high-performing and cost-effective data link system in defense and
homeland security markets," said Richard M. Lober, senior vice president
and general manager of Cubic's Communications Business Unit.

Cubic's TCDL received Joint Interoperability Test Command certification
two years ago. More recently, under a 2003 contract, the narrowband TCDL
technology has been leveraged in the Navy's wideband Communications Data
Link System (CDLS). So far, orders for the Navy CDLS program have
reached $54.7 million.  "These real-world tests, and the Department of
Defense's choice of our system for wideband requirements such as
communications with U-2 and SHARP reconnaissance pods, show that Cubic's
system meets DoD goals for an interoperable Common Data Link (CDL) and
TCDL system," Lober said.

The first of the three recent flight tests was conducted in March at ITT
Industries' Loop Canyon facility near Van Nuys, Calif.  A Cubic TCDL
aboard a Cubic Corporation aircraft linked with ITT's Multiple Link
Antenna System (MLAS), an electronically steered, phased-array multibeam
antenna located on a 6,000-foot mountain peak. ITT's MLAS enables
simultaneous, bi-directional links between the antenna and four sensor
aircraft.

"The success of the Loop Canyon flight test can be tied directly to a
'can do' Cubic approach to program support and a highly adaptable TCDL
equipment design. The integration of the Cubic TCDL communications
equipment with the ITT Gilfillan antenna has been an ideal match," said
Richard Jones, program manager for ITT Industries, Gilfillan Division.
On April 20, Cubic's TCDL participated in a joint test sponsored by
Lockheed Martin, the California Space Authority, and the U.S. Air Force.

Cubic's TCDL and a Lockheed Martin sensor payload flew aboard a CIRPAS
Pelican aircraft in a test of tracking and data transmission capability.
The Lockheed Martin sensors successfully tracked a Delta II rocket
launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, Calif., carrying
NASA's Gravity Probe B. Cubic's TCDL transferred telemetry data received
from the rocket to ground crews at the airbase. The test was part of the
Range Systems Transformation Laboratory (RSTL) program. This program is
a critical component in proving the mobile range concept and supports
evolving space launch requirements.

"We are pleased at how well the payload and instrumentation performed.
This was a critical step in providing a new generation of cost-effective
and extremely capable range technologies," said Ken Griese, Lockheed
Martin's RSTL program manager.
In a May test conducted at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, Cubic's TCDL
linked with ITT's MLAS phased-array antenna to stream high-speed video
across a Ku band data link. Representatives from the U.S. Air Force,
Marine Corps, Army, NASA, SAIC and the Naval Surface Warfare Center
(NAVSEA) Dahlgren Division also participated in the test, which was
sponsored by the Office of the Secretary of Defense's Advanced Concepts
Technology Demonstration (ACTD) program. Cubic's data link technology
was placed aboard an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) aircraft,
helicopter, truck and fixed ground station, and transmitted data about a
simulated terrorist event to the 1st Air Force's Joint Based
Expeditionary Connectivity Center (JBECC) and from there to State Police
cruisers, fire and rescue personnel, a Joint EOD team, and to legacy
man-portable military radios with the troops chasing the terrorists --
all in real time.  "The small size and weight of the Cubic TCDL was
crucial in allowing the integration of the radio with multiple pointing
phased-array antennas located on the ground and on fixed and rotary wing
platforms," said Ted Stanford, U.S. Army, Aviation Applied Technology
Directorate, Operational Manager for the ACTD.  Cubic's TCDL was
developed by the company's Communications Business Unit, part of Cubic
Defense Applications (CDA).  CDA provides realistic combat training
systems for military forces, as well as mission support services for
training and exercises, modeling and simulation, force modernization,
educational services, curriculum design and development, web-based
learning solutions, operations and maintenance and manufacturing
services. The group also supplies products and systems for C4ISR
(Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance
and Reconnaissance) applications, search and rescue avionics and radio
communications for military and civil markets. The corporation's other
major segment, Cubic Transportation Systems, designs and manufactures
automatic fare collection systems for public mass transit authorities.
For more information about Cubic, see the company's Web site at
www.cubic.com.
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040622005660&newsLang=en

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/