Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Chicago- Local group's role crucial in telecom

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:25:02 -0400

Local group's role crucial in telecom
meeting here

June 21, 2004

BY MICHAEL KRAUSS

The titans of telecommunications converge on Chicago this morning for
Supercomm 2004, the world's top telecommunications trade show. Behind
the scenes, a little-known Chicago organization is playing a pivotal
role in this global event.
An estimated 30,000 technology professionals from around the world will
be here to learn about the latest industry trends, the newest
communications equipment and state-of-the-art services.

The roster of speakers includes: Ned Barnholt, CEO, Agilent
Technologies;
Serge Tchuruk, CEO, Alcatel; Ed Whitacre Jr., CEO, SBC Communications;
Michael Powell, chairman, Federal Communications Commission, and Don
Logan, chairman, Media and Communications Group, Time Warner.

Over 400 hands-on telco experts will share their knowledge at McCormick
Place podiums throughout the week.
Pulling together this industry expertise is the responsibility of the
not-for-profit International Engineering Consortium (IEC). Located at
549 W. Randolph, the IEC plans the programs and recruits the speakers
for this week's digital-age hoedown at McCormick Place.
"The IEC is tremendously important to the communications industry," says
Mike Quigley, senior executive vice president with $15 billion
Paris-based supplier Alcatel. "As an educational force in the industry,
IEC shapes the knowledge base and skills sets of our talent pool. They
influence the quality and innovative of our entire industry."
The IEC is a uniquely Chicago institution dedicated to technology
transfer and technical education. According to IEC Senior Director John
Janowiak, it was created in 1944 on the back page of an envelope in a
bar at the Chicago Hilton.  Motorola founder Paul Galvin, the leaders of
Western Electric and the heads of the top Midwestern universities
convened to create the IEC. The group's aim: to capitalize on the pace
of wartime electronics research to assure continued peacetime progress.
Sixty years later, the IEC has bloomed into a global organization that
provides technology education to over 400,000 engineering students,
professors and commercial workers around the world. The IEC forms a
network that links leaders in business and academia to assure tomorrow's
engineers have easy access to real-world research initiatives and
commercial applications.
IEC executives also played an important role stimulating Supercomm's
three-year return to Chicago. The show is jointly owned by the
Telecommunications Industry Association and the United States Telecom
Association.
If you're a Chicago taxi driver or a restaurant worker and business is
good this week; if the hotels are just a little fuller, and the shops on
Michigan Avenue seem to bustle just a bit more, remember to thank the
International Engineering Consortium.
Can we talk?
The Cook County Board approved a $12.8 million Phase 1 urban-area
security initiative that will improve first responders' ability to
communicate in an emergency.
The project was competitively bid and IBM will serve as the prime
contractor.  The initiative is funded as part of a $34 million grant the
county received from the Federal Department of Homeland Security's
Office of Domestic Preparedness.
The aim, according to Cook County CIO Catherine Maras O'Leary, is to put
in place "an interoperable mobile voice, video and data network for
first responders. The first responders -- fire, paramedics and police
--have to be able to talk together to coordinate activities."
In addition to integrating voice communication over a private wireless
network, O'Leary's program includes the addition of infrared video
cameras to remotely observe sensitive sites. A data component enables
first responders to use existing technology to access critical
information in an emergency. First responders will be able to access
records at the Centers for Disease Control, says Maras O'Leary.
She describes the effort as a "collaborative multi-county initiative
involving the city and suburban municipalities."
Bits & bytes
A speedy recovery to Maura O'Hara, executive director, Illinois Venture
Capital Association, following surgery. ... University of Chicago's
Robert Rosenberg reconvenes his Chicago Technology Forum highlighting
our region's medical device technology Friday at the Gleacher Center.
... B2B magazine Editor Ellis Booker appears at Thursday's B2B Marketing
Symposium organized by the Technology Executives Club.
Michael Krauss is a Chicago-based tech writer and consultant.

June 21, 2004

BY MICHAEL KRAUSS

The titans of telecommunications converge on Chicago this morning for
Supercomm 2004, the world's top telecommunications trade show. Behind
the scenes, a little-known Chicago organization is playing a pivotal
role in this global event.

An estimated 30,000 technology professionals from around the world will
be here to learn about the latest industry trends, the newest
communications equipment and state-of-the-art services.

The roster of speakers includes: Ned Barnholt, CEO, Agilent
Technologies;
Serge Tchuruk, CEO, Alcatel; Ed Whitacre Jr., CEO, SBC Communications;
Michael Powell, chairman, Federal Communications Commission, and Don
Logan, chairman, Media and Communications Group, Time Warner.

Over 400 hands-on telco experts will share their knowledge at McCormick
Place podiums throughout the week.
Pulling together this industry expertise is the responsibility of the
not-for-profit International Engineering Consortium (IEC). Located at
549 W. Randolph, the IEC plans the programs and recruits the speakers
for this week's digital-age hoedown at McCormick Place.

"The IEC is tremendously important to the communications industry," says
Mike Quigley, senior executive vice president with $15 billion
Paris-based supplier Alcatel. "As an educational force in the industry,
IEC shapes the knowledge base and skills sets of our talent pool. They
influence the quality and innovative of our entire industry."

The IEC is a uniquely Chicago institution dedicated to technology
transfer and technical education. According to IEC Senior Director John
Janowiak, it was created in 1944 on the back page of an envelope in a
bar at the Chicago Hilton.  Motorola founder Paul Galvin, the leaders of
Western Electric and the heads of the top Midwestern universities
convened to create the IEC. The group's aim: to capitalize on the pace
of wartime electronics research to assure continued peacetime progress.
Sixty years later, the IEC has bloomed into a global organization that
provides technology education to over 400,000 engineering students,
professors and commercial workers around the world. The IEC forms a
network that links leaders in business and academia to assure tomorrow's
engineers have easy access to real-world research initiatives and
commercial applications.

IEC executives also played an important role stimulating Supercomm's
three-year return to Chicago. The show is jointly owned by the
Telecommunications Industry Association and the United States Telecom
Association.
If you're a Chicago taxi driver or a restaurant worker and business is
good this week; if the hotels are just a little fuller, and the shops on
Michigan Avenue seem to bustle just a bit more, remember to thank the
International Engineering Consortium.
Can we talk?

The Cook County Board approved a $12.8 million Phase 1 urban-area
security initiative that will improve first responders' ability to
communicate in an emergency.

The project was competitively bid and IBM will serve as the prime
contractor.  The initiative is funded as part of a $34 million grant the
county received from the Federal Department of Homeland Security's
Office of Domestic Preparedness.
The aim, according to Cook County CIO Catherine Maras O'Leary, is to put
in place "an interoperable mobile voice, video and data network for
first responders. The first responders -- fire, paramedics and police
--have to be able to talk together to coordinate activities."

In addition to integrating voice communication over a private wireless
network, O'Leary's program includes the addition of infrared video
cameras to remotely observe sensitive sites. A data component enables
first responders to use existing technology to access critical
information in an emergency. First responders will be able to access
records at the Centers for Disease Control, says Maras O'Leary.

She describes the effort as a "collaborative multi-county initiative
involving the city and suburban municipalities."

Bits & bytes
A speedy recovery to Maura O'Hara, executive director, Illinois Venture
Capital Association, following surgery. ... University of Chicago's
Robert Rosenberg reconvenes his Chicago Technology Forum highlighting
our region's medical device technology Friday at the Gleacher Center.
... B2B magazine Editor Ellis Booker appears at Thursday's B2B Marketing
Symposium organized by the Technology Executives Club.

Michael Krauss is a Chicago-based tech writer and consultant.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/krauss/cst-fin-krauss21.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/