Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lucent rises on $5B Verizon deal

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:31:53 -0400

Lucent rises on $5B Verizon deal
By Sam Omatseye
July 13 12:49:00, 2004

Lucent Technologies Inc. reinforced its CDMA profile and its place in
the heart of Verizon Wireless with a whopping $5 billion
contract with the biggest wireless carrier in the United States.

The deal, which replaces its agreement in March 2001, jolted the
vendor’s stock upward by 3.85 percent to $3.51. The expired contract
also was valued at $5 billion. Both companies said the new agreement
includes the $525 million contract announced in March, which named
Lucent as a key supplier for Verizon’s BroadbandAccess high-speed data
network.
“With this agreement, Lucent will continue as Verizon Wireless’ primary
next-generation network infrastructure supplier,” said
both companies.

“For Lucent, it’s a tremendous opportunity,” remarked Michael Grossi,
principal at consulting firm Adventis. “For Verizon, it is
a necessary step. Verizon has historically prided itself on its quality
and reach of its networks.”
He said Lucent will see this as an opportunity to make inroads to
Sprint, which will announce a deal of the same scope.
He explained the deal provides a chance for Lucent to demonstrate their
equipment and engineering.

Under the deal, Lucent will supply equipment, software and services to
Verizon’s CDMA2000 1x EV-DO network.
The carrier believes the deal will enable it provide voice, data and
video services in the future while preserving its investments in
its existing network.

Verizon has launched its EV-DO services nationwide and has signed deals
with other vendors, including Nortel Networks Ltd.
EV-DO provides only data services, but it is backward compatible with
1x, which provides both voice and data.
“At Verizon Wireless, we’re focused on our growing customer base and
ensuring that they have the highest quality products
and services,” said Dick Lynch, executive vice president and chief
technical officer for Verizon Wireless. “Lucent has long been
a key supplier and has helped us provide our customers the most
satisfying wireless experience possible.”

Lucent said it provides the products and technology that will cover not
only wireless, but also optical and data networking
equipment. Verizon said it will also participate in the Lucent Market
Advantage Program, which will help the carrier in
providing such high-speed services as corporate Internet and intranet
access and downloading of video and PowerPoint files to
both enterprise and residential customers.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=821

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/