Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Boss Launches Blog Aimed at High-Tech Industry

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:31:56 -0400

FCC Boss Launches Blog Aimed at High-Tech Industry

Fri Jul 9, 2004 

By Jeremy Pelofsky 
WASHINGTON 

(Reuters) 

U.S. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell has
started his own Web log, or blog, to reach out to the high-tech
community and bypass the scores of Washington lobbyists who typically
skulk around his office. 

Powell, who wants to avoid regulating new technologies like Web-based
telephone service for fear of stifling innovation, said he started the
blog to encourage the high-tech industry to get involved because its
past practice of flying under the radar to avoid regulations would no
longer work. 

"Regulated interests have about an 80-year head start on the
entrepreneurial tech community when it comes to informing regulators
what they want and need, but if anyone can make up for that, Silicon
Valley can," he said in his first blog comments posted Thursday morning. 

"I am looking forward to an open, transparent and meritocracy-based
communication -- attributes that bloggers are famous for!" Powell said,
adding he wanted to get out of "the Beltway Washington world where
lobbyists filter the techies." 

He specifically asked bloggers to send in their thoughts on the coming
transition to digital television and possibly using airwave frequencies
between television stations for new wireless services. 

But, in typical blogger fashion, replies covered subjects well beyond
his inquiry, including the FCC's recent crackdown on indecent antics on
radio and television. 

"Simple question for you: Why is Howard Stern's discussion of anal/oral
sex fineable, and Oprah's isn't?" asked one Tony Pierce. 

The FCC recently proposed fining stations that carried Stern's show that
included an explicit discussion of sex. The agency is also looking into
talk show host Oprah Winfrey's discussion about sex during her TV
program earlier this year. 

Regulations limit airing such talks to late-night hours. 

Others did stick to the subject, questioning Powell about getting
telephone companies to turn on unused fiber optic cable in order to cut
prices for high-speed Internet. Some chastised the FCC chief for
reaching out only to Silicon Valley. 

Andrew Schwartzman, a public interest lawyer who has crossed swords and
won a court battle initially halting Powell's attempts to relax media
ownership limits, also chided the chairman for not seeking input on
other issues. 

"I wish he would do the same outreach with the public interest
community," he told Reuters. Powell was criticized during the FCC's
review of media ownership limits for not holding many official forums
for public input on the rules. 

Powell attended some discussions but the agency held only one official
event. The FCC is now holding official hearings on how radio and
television stations are serving their local communities. 

FCC officials were not immediately available to comment on how often
Powell would be interacting on his blog. It can be found at
http://www.alwayson-network.com/ 

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=5633324

Check out http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=4830_0_3_0_C

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/