Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Virginia Launches Unpredecented- Multi-agency Communications System

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:12:59 -0400

Virginia Launches Unpredecented- Multi-agency Communications System

— Commonwealth and Motorola, Inc., Sign Contract for Statewide Agency
Radio System —

RICHMOND - Governor Mark R. Warner today announced that the Commonwealth
of Virginia and Motorola, Inc., have entered into a $329 million
contract to design, construct, and implement Virginia&rsquo;s most
comprehensive statewide multi-agency radio system. The ceremonial
signing of the contract took place July 16th at Virginia State Police
headquarters, in the presence of representatives from all 20 state
agencies involved in the state-of-the-art project.

&ldquo;Never before has Virginia embarked on such an aggressive and
monumental multi-agency project as this, said Governor Warner.
&ldquo;Upon completion, 20 state agencies and countless localities will
be linked by a cutting-age digital voice and data communications system.

The Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) is built on the foundation
of the recognized needs for a shared, statewide, public safety-grade
radio system that includes law enforcement mobile data, and facilitates
interoperability between state and local police communications systems
at the city or county level. STARS will replace the existing analog
communications system used by the Virginia State Police and other state
agencies with a VHF digital high-band trunked system that integrates
radio and wireless data communications.

STARS will include a transportable communication site designed to be
moved and placed into service anywhere within the Commonwealth so as to
provide state and local agencies with the additional capacity,
interoperability and support for disaster-recovery operations or special
events.

&ldquo;This project is another crucial step in our efforts to further
protect Virginians in times of disaster, whether natural or
terrorist-related,; said Governor Warner.  ;In our post 9-11 world, we
must invest in improving the effectiveness of direct communication among
all responding agencies.&rdquo;

The project will also incorporate a digital microwave network that will
equip STARS with the transport required for interconnecting land mobile
radio, mobile data, telephone, and alarm and control networks.

As detailed in the contract, Motorola will install approximately 130
land-mobile radio and microwave sites that will be strategically located
throughout the Commonwealth to ensure performance guarantees.  In
addition, Motorola will provide training, distribute the subscriber
equipment and prepare the &ldquo;end-users&rdquo; for a smooth
transition.

STARS is a sophisticated and powerful communications system, one built
on established communications standards, engineered to use available
spectrum efficiently, and designed with the flexibility to accommodate
emerging needs and technologies well into the future," said Greg Brown,
Motorola Executive Vice President, and president and CEO of the
corporation's Commercial Government and Industrial Solutions Sector.
"STARS reflects Motorola's acknowledged technological expertise,
considerable experience implementing systems of its significance and
magnitude, and our relationship with the state, one that provided a
special perspective on the communications needs of its many agencies.

Pursuant to Chapter 3, Title 42, of the Code of Virginia, the Virginia
State Police has been tasked with facilitating the creation and
implementation of the STARS project. A STARS Unit was established within
the State Police in 2000 in order to advance the statewide
system&rsquo;s concept and foundation.

&ldquo;For the Virginia State Police, STARS is not just about finally
replacing the Department&rsquo;s 27-year-old, antiquated communications
system,&rdquo; said Colonel W. Steve Flaherty, Virginia State Police
Superintendent. &ldquo;This is about saving lives. A trooper&rsquo;s
radio is his or her lifeline. When seconds count, so does efficient and
clear communication for the injured motorist, crime victim or wounded
trooper.&rdquo;

STARS membership currently includes the following Virginia state
agencies: Department of Alcohol Beverage Control; Department of
Aviation; Division of Capitol Police; Department of Conservation and
Recreation; Department of Corrections; Department of Emergency
Management; Department of Environmental Quality; Department of Fire
Programs;
Department of Forestry; Department of Game and Inland Fisheries;
Department of Health; Department of Juvenile Justice; Department of
Military Affairs;
Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy;
Department of Motor Vehicles; Department of Professional and
Occupational Regulation;
Department of State Police; Department of Transportation; Virginia
Information Technology Agency; and Virginia Marine Resources Commission.

STARS will also provide each city and county government at least one
interoperability connection to the system at no cost to the localities.

In 2004 the General Assembly through House Bill 106 approved $159.3
million in bonds to fund the STARS project for the next two years.

The first phase of the project will be operational in the Central
Virginia region by December 2005.  Installation will be completed in
seven phases across the Commonwealth, with the project&rsquo;s
culmination scheduled for September 2009.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Press_Policy/Releases/2004/Jul04/0716.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/