Subject: [NEXTEL-1] First BPL Project Launched in Texas

From: NEXTEL-1
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:29:08 -0400

First BPL Project Launched in Texas
A pilot project to deliver broadband over power lines (BPL) is now under
way in three Texas communities, courtesy of Central Texas-based
Broadband Horizons. The project is important in that it further
demonstrates that existing infrastructure -- other than &ldquo;twisted
pair&rdquo; copper wire or coaxial cable -- can facilitate high-speed
connections to the Internet.
Texas is now one of a handful of states, including Virginia, Indiana and
Kentucky, that are experimenting with BPL. The Texas project is serving
the communities of Blanco, Burnet and Weimar. However, Broadband
Horizons said Wednesday (July 14) that it&rsquo;s preparing to launch
BPL in more than 50 additional Texas communities over the next few
years.
Internet connections using BPL technology work very much like those
provided by cable and DSL (wireline telephony). The difference is BPL
uses an existing power line, which is a wire that goes into virtually
every home in the nation. A high-speed connection to the Internet is
achieved simply by plugging a small modem into any outlet and then
plugging a computer into the modem. No other installation is required.
Advancement of this emerging technology is especially important for
rural and other under-served portions of the nation, places where
high-speed Internet access is often unavailable.
www.telecomweb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/