Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mayors Measure Interoperable Communication Between Cities, Regions, States and the Federal Government

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 13:01:50 -0400

Mayors Measure Interoperable Communication Between Cities, Regions,
States and the Federal Government

Jun 29 2004
The U. S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) recently released its 2004
Interoperability Report, which measures the reliability and
effectiveness of communications systems between local city agencies and
federal, regional, state and other local entities in responding to
disasters.

The following statistics, included in the report, were gathered from 192
cities:

Story continued below advertisement

77 percent of the cities report interoperable capability across police
and fire departments and 74 percent report that they are interoperable
with neighboring city police and fire departments.

57 percent said that they do not have interoperable capability with the
state emergency management agency.

49 percent report that their city is not interoperable with the state
police.

80 percent of the cities say they do not have interoperable
communications with the Department of Homeland Security or the
Department of Justice.

86 percent of the cities report that they do not have interoperable
capability with the state transportation department and 94 percent do
not have interoperable capability between the rail facility, police and
emergency medical service.

75 percent of the cities indicate that different radio frequencies
hinder emergency communications between cities.

Cities with populations of 1 to 100,000 report a median interoperable
communications system age of 8 years.

Cities with a population of 100,001 to 400,000 report a median
communication system age of 11 years old.

Of cities between 400,001 and above, the median interoperable
communications system age is 7 years.

Cities under 100,000 report an average of $4.7 million is needed to
achieve full interoperability.

The average funding needed to achieve full interoperability for cities
of 100,001 to 400,000 is $5.4 million.

Cities over 400,001 report an average of $30 million is needed to
achieve full interoperability.
http://www.govtech.net/news/news.php?id=90664

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/