Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Official: Years to fix Nextel, public safety interference

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:32:49 -0400

July 12, 2004 9:35 PM PDT
Official: Years to fix Nextel, public safety interference
By: BRADLEY J. FIKES - Staff Writer

It will take years to solve wireless interference problems between San
Diego County's public safety agencies and cellular carrier Nextel Inc.,
even under the best of circumstances. That is the assessment from the
San Diego County Sheriff's Department, which is taking the lead in talks
with Nextel.

The Federal Communications Commission last week unanimously endorsed a
spectrum-swap proposal
to take away some of Nextel's spectrum in the 800 megahertz band and all
of it in the 700 mhz band,
where the interference takes place. All the public safety agencies in
the county operate in the 800 mhz
band. In return, Nextel will be compensated with spectrum in the 1900
mhz band. The proposal still
must be formally adopted,

Nextel is cooperating in plans to shift its wireless spectrum out of the
range used for public safety purposes, such as police and fire. But
negotiations are complicated by the county's closeness to Mexico, said
Chris Hinshaw, assistant manager for the sheriff's Wireless Services
Division.

Nextel's spectrum is layered next to frequencies used by the county's
207 public safety agencies.  Because the frequencies are so close,
Nextel's network can interfere with public safety networks in places.

Locally, interference has been an issue in certain parts of the city of
San Diego and in Encinitas, Hinshaw said. The interference problem is
nationwide, Hinshaw said, but it's worse in San Diego because the county
has control of just half the spectrum available in most jurisdictions.

Spectrum within 60 miles of the border is shared with Mexico, Hinshaw
said. That means a shifting of frequencies requires the Mexican
government's approval, making negotiations more complicated here than
elsewhere.

A Nextel spokesman said the company wouldn't comment for the present
beyond a statement it released after the proposal was endorsed by the
FCC. That statement cautiously praised the proposal, but said it didn't
contain enough details on Nextel's obligations. Other wireless carriers
opposed the plan as being too generous to Nextel. They said Nextel is
getting compensated for interference it caused, and that the spectrum
it's being given is more valuable than it deserves.

The FCC stated that the spectrum Nextel is getting is worth $4.8
billion, so Nextel would have to pay that amount. The cost can be paid
by Nextel helping public safety agencies adapt their equipment to new
spectrum, but Nextel has to pay the difference if those costs are less
than the $4.8 billion total.
Contact staff writer Bradley J. Fikes at (760) 739-6641 or
[email-masked].

© 1997-2004 North County Times - Lee Enterprises
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/07/13/business/news/20_36_587_12_04.txt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/