Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Considers Revisions For EAS System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:41:46 -0400

Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2004 FCC Considers Revisions For EAS System The
commission today kicked off a proceeding to examine the effectiveness of
its Emergency Alert System and is seeking public comment on whether
changes should be made to the system. One of the changes under
consideration is requiring broadcasters to allow state and local
emergency managers to enact EAS alerts that would override all
programming at radio and TV stations, much like the mandatory national
alert system the president can use in cases of national emergency.
Currently, broadcasters can voluntarily allow local emergency staff that
kind of access, but in this morning's monthly FCC meeting, Jim Daley
from the FCC Enforcement Bureau's Homeland Security office said a new
rule is under consideration due to the local nature of emergency
situations. "Today, the likely emergencies that would generate a
national message are much more likely to begin as local events, for
which immediate local warnings and response is essential," he said. "The
permissive nature of EAS on the state and local level, however, has
resulted in differing applications of EAS as an effective component of
public alert compliance. We seek comment on whether the FCC should adopt
rules to require broadcasters to make their facilities available to
local emergency managers." The notice also considers whether EAS
requirements should be expanded to digital radio and television and
possibly even wireless communications.

http://radioandrecords.com/Newsroom/2004_08_04/fccconsiders.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/