Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Announcing Proposed Withdrawal of Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) for the Data Encryption Standard (DES) and Request for Comments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:29:38 -0400

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
National Institute of Standards and Technology
[Docket No. 040602169–4169–01]

Announcing Proposed Withdrawal of Federal Information Processing
Standard (FIPS) for the Data Encryption Standard (DES) and Request for
Comments

AGENCY: National Institute of Standards
and Technology (NIST), Commerce.

ACTION: Notice; request for comments.
SUMMARY:

The Data Encryption Standard (DES), currently specified in Federal
Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 46–3, was evaluated pursuant to
its scheduled review. At the conclusion of this review, NIST determined
that the strength of the DES algorithm is no longer sufficient to
adequately protect Federal government information.  As a result, NIST
proposes to withdraw FIPS 46–3, and the associated FIPS 74 and FIPS 81.

Future use of DES by Federal agencies is to be permitted only as a
component function of the Triple Data Encryption Algorithm (TDEA). TDEA
may be used for the protection of Federal information; however, NIST
encourages agencies to implement the faster and stronger algorithm
specified by FIPS 197, Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) instead. NIST
proposes issuing TDEA implementation guidance as a NIST Recommendation
via its ‘‘Special Publication’’ series (rather than as a FIPS) as
Special Publication 800–67, Recommendation for Implementation of the
Triple Data Encryption Algorithm (TDEA).

DATES: Comments on the proposed withdrawal of DES must be received on or
before September 9, 2004.

Complete Federal Register Notice:

http://csrc.nist.gov/Federal-register/July26-2004-FR-DES-Notice.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/