Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Commission Seeks Comment On Rule Changes For The Emergency Alert System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:06:23 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 4, 2004       

Commission Seeks Comment On Rule Changes For The Emergency Alert System

Washington, D.C. 

The Commission today issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
(NPRM) concerning the Emergency Alert System (EAS), seeking
comment on how EAS can be improved to be a more effective
mechanism for warning the American public of an emergency.

The action stems in part from recommendations of the Media
Security and Reliability Council http://www.mediasecurity.org/
an FCC Advisory Committee, and the Partnership for Public Warning.
http://www.partnershipforpublicwarning.org/ppw/
  
The Commission has already begun – and will continue throughout
this proceeding – to coordinate carefully with the Department of
Homeland Security and its component, FEMA and the Department
of Commerce and its component, the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration’s National Weather Service.  These
Federal partners will be active participants in the proceeding.
In addition, the Commission seeks participation of state and local
emergency planning organizations as well as all communications
industries involved in alert and warning.
       
Action by the Commission, August 4, 2004, Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking in the Matter of Review of the Emergency Alert System.
(FCC 04-189).  Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps,
Martin, and Adelstein with separate statements issued by Chairman
Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein.

Enforcement Bureau Contacts:
Suzanne Tetreault at (202) 418-7450 and
James Dailey at (202) 418-1199 

EB Docket No. 04-296

-FCC-

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-250534A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/