Subject: [NEXTEL-1] HOMELAND SECURITY POLICY COUNCIL HIGHLIGHTS FCC ACTIONS PROMOTING HOMELAND SECURITY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:45:39 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:   NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
August 4, 2004     Meribeth McCarrick 202-418-0654
[email-masked]
HOMELAND SECURITY POLICY COUNCIL HIGHLIGHTS FCC ACTIONS PROMOTING
HOMELAND SECURITY

Washington, DC – During the FCC’s monthly open meeting today, Linda
Blair, Deputy Chief of the Commission’s Homeland Security Policy
Council, gave an overview of FCC actions in support of homeland security
over the past year

Shortly after September 11, Chairman Powell made Homeland Security one
of the six pillars of the Commission’s Strategic Plan.  Since that time,
Homeland Security has been an area of significant focus for the
Commission.  Its Homeland Security goals are  to develop policies that
enhance the reliability and security of the industries it regulates and
ensure rapid recovery in the event of disruption, to help ensure
effective public safety communications, and to promote the evolution of
new technologies that support Homeland Security.
FCC actions over the past year promoting Homeland Security include:

Rulemakings Promoting Homeland Security:  The Commission has taken
action in numerous rulemaking proceedings that promise significant
benefits to first responders.  These actions include the adoption of
rules to: resolve interference in the 800 MHz band; enable new
applications in the 4.9 GHz band; and promote Intelligent Transportation
Systems.  In addition, the Commission has enhanced Homeland Security in
a number of other arenas, including, for example, rulemakings that
promote new technologies that support Homeland Security such as RF ID
tags, the Telecommunications Relay Service proceeding, where the FCC
addressed national security and emergency preparedness priorities for
individuals with hearing and speech disabilities, and actions involving
CALEA and Outage Reporting that were adopted today.

Federal Advisory Committees:  The Commission’s ongoing efforts with its
Media Security and Reliability Council and Network Reliability and
Interoperability Council have been critical in helping the FCC partner
with the industry.  Both Councils have recently been re-established with
new charters and continue efforts to maximize adoption of Best Practices
to ensure the security and reliability of telecommunications and media
networks
.
Partnerships With Other Organizations:  During the past year the FCC
very successfully partnered not only with the industries it regulates
but also with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other
federal, state, local, and tribal entities, and communities with special
needs.

Forums, workshops, and other partnered initiatives have been important
in achieving FCC Homeland Security goals.  For example, partnering with
the National Communications System, now a part of DHS, the FCC promoted
the telecommunications service priority program, especially for 911
center lines.  As a result, the number of 911 center lines with TSP
coverage has increased from 750 in 2002 to 3,750 as of May 2004.
Likewise, partnership initiatives with E911 stakeholders contributed to
a 300% increase in Phase II E911 deployment.
Homeland Security will continue as a focal point of the Commission’s
work as it  pushes ahead to ensure its regulations and policies promote
public safety interoperability, E911 implementation, network security
and reliability, and other vital Homeland Security goals.  The
Commission will also continue its active Homeland Security partnerships
and expansive Homeland Security outreach programs.

For more information on the Homeland Security initiatives at the FCC,
visit the Commission’s website at: http://www.fcc.gov/homeland/

- FCC -
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d041033t.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/