Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Details On NYPD's Motorola SSE-5000

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 17:03:55 -0400

After a long Beta program NYPD has been slowly rolling out the SSE-5000
by Motorola. Originally approved lasted year by the FCC the SSE-5000
has made it's hands into some street cops. I recently had a chance to
examine one, it appears to work well and members seem to like it. The
ESU boss to whom I spoke to seemed to like the fact that it resembles
his Saber III and fits in the same case. The top display makes it easy
for officers to verify they are on the correct zone. He mentioned that
his Adam & Boy Car as well as the Truck are do to get a Convert-A-Com
kits.

The SSE5000 is an SP radio developed for the NYPD. It resembles a Model
I ASTRO Saber, in a grey case. The SSE5000 is a custom model line for
the NYPD, it is currently available to agencies eligible to purchase
goods through the NYC DCAS contract [this includes Nassau and
Westchester].  It is basically an XTS crammed into a Saber case.
The speaker grille is ruggedized, it has an 8-character bitmap top
display, the rocker switch on top is offset from the Saber, it has a
3-position
A-B-C switch for zone changes, and the emergency button is green.  The
radio operates 450-488 MHz, does up to 48 channels [16 ch. x 3
zones], runs up to 5 watts, is capable of FlashPort upgrades, operates
conventional only in analog or P-25 digital with or without encryption.
The unit is programmed with Windows CPS for XTS2500/5000 & SSE5000.

The Vertex radios [ will gradually be pulled from service and the SSE
will be the standard radio.  It is fully compatible on their
current 25 kHz system clear or encrypted and, of course, would be fully
capable of 12.5 kHz narrowband digital or analog.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------