Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 08.03.04 | Siemens new Blackberry handset; Writing mobile games on .NET

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 15:43:04 -0400

[Image]                                              August 3, 2004
                                                    Sign up for free:
                                               www.fiercedeveloper.com

                   This week's sponsor is Macromedia.

  NEWS

  2004 Mobile Game Conference: Sept. 9-10

  Mobile music video jukebox service in the U.K.

  New version of Crossfire development suite

  HANDSETS

  Siemens new Blackberry handset
  Motorola's A845 3G phone

  New Linux-based Smartphone for Motorola

  WORKBENCH

  Smartphone: Writing games on .NET

  J2ME: Introduction to Web services

  BREW: Sharing data between applications

   [Image]  Editor's Note: According to an article on MSMobile.com,
            Sun essentially killed "Redmond Decaf," a highly
  compatible J2ME MIDP 2.0 virtual machine for Pocket PC devices and
  Microsoft Smartphones because of disagreements over licensing terms.
  Since the virtual machine was based on reference implementations,
  Sun reportedly asked for $50,000 up front plus commissions on each
  unit, effectively ending a potentially amazing piece of software.
  The unsigned article, however, lacks credibility -- I'm not
  completely convinced Redmond Decaf even existed -- but it still
  raises an important question: Why is the burden of ensuring Java
  compatibility placed on individual application developers, rather
  than device manufacturers or virtual machine developers? The biggest
  obstacle to the widespread use of J2ME is compatibility, and
  application-centric industry initiatives such as JavaVerified are
  simply not enough. To quote blogger Russell Beattie: "Java? Right
  now it's write once, pray, and debug everywhere." - Eli

  Events:

  MAX - The 2004 Macromedia Conference - Nov 1-4, New Orleans

  Marketplace:

  Free white paper: The Well Executed Mobile Application

  Borland Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

  Free Technical Brief: Ease Troubleshooting & Protocol Testing in
  UMTS

  NEWS

  The 2004 Mobile Game Conference will be held in Austin, Texas, on
  September 9-10. Speakers include cellular carriers, handset
  manufacturers, and game developers. Advance registration is $145 for
  professionals and $110 for students. Press release

  3, the U.K. cellular carrier, and BMG have launched a mobile music
  video jukebox service. Subscribers can stream full-length music
  videos to their handsets for £1.50 each, or they can purchase an
  unlimited pass for £10 per month. Article

  AppForge has announced a new version of Crossfire, a multi-platform
  mobile development environment that targets hundreds of devices.
  Crossfire 5.1 now supports digital cameras in a variety of mobile
  devices and adds new features for Palm OS and Pocket PC development.
  Press release

  HANDSETS

  Siemens has launched the SK65, an enterprise Blackberry handset with
  a full swivel keyboard. The SK65 will ship in Europe, the Middle
  East, and Latin America in November. Siemens claims the SK65 is the
  first mobile phone to include full Blackberry functionality and
  integration with ERP systems like SAP. The phone also includes
  Bluetooth, SynchML, and 30MB of memory. Review

  Motorola's A845 is one of the first phones to support AT&T's
  high-speed 3G wireless. The phone is bulky and the interface is
  lacking, but the technology is amazing. Russell Beattie reviewed the
  phone after using it for a week and offers his impressions of 3G
  wireless use. Article

  Motorola also announced the A780, a Linux-based Smartphone that
  supports EDGE, Bluetooth, and Java. The handset also includes a 1.3
  MP camera. The Smartphone, which will be available worldwide in the
  fourth quarter of this year, will be the first Linux-based handset
  available to U.S. consumers. Article

  WORKBENCH

  Believe it or not, it's easy to develop Smartphone games on
  Microsoft .NET using C#. The two-part article explains how to handle
  dynamic graphics and user input. It also includes downloadable
  source code and project files. Part one, Part two

  IBM has posted an introductory article on J2ME Web services. Thanks
  to Java's Web Services API, developers can use device-based remote
  service invocation and XML parsing code without embedding it in
  their applications. Article

  BREW's IModule interface allows developers to synchronize data
  between applications. BREW doesn't support global variable, but it
  does support singletons, and the IModule interface is a specialized
  singleton designed for passing data between separate applications.
  Article

  TENSION BREAKER

  A German clothing maker has teamed up with Chip maker Infineon to
  create a men's jacket with a built-in keyboard and headphones,
  Bluetooth connectivity, and an MP3 player. Article

  Events                        * Post an Event Listing: Click here.
                                      * General ad info: Click here.

  MAX - The 2004 Macromedia Conference - Nov 1-4, New Orleans

  Join us at MAX, the 2004 Macromedia Conference, where you will see
  first-hand the momentum Flash is gaining within mobile phones and
  have an opportunity to be part of the ecosystem creating and
  delivering next generation mobile content. Click here to learn more
  about MAX 2004.

  Marketplace              * Post a Marketplace Listing: Click here.
                                      * General ad info: Click here.

  Free white paper: The Well Executed Mobile Application

  Here at Orange - a leading mobile operator with services in 21
  countries, and a 50m-plus worldwide customer base - we have
  commissioned an independent white paper, and offer it to you to
  download free of charge.

  Borland Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

  Borland Software Corporation is the leading provider of ALM
  solutions for the telecommunications industry, delivering products
  that accelerate the application development lifecycle, provide
  flexibility, and give companies the freedom to choose the solution
  appropriate for their situation. For more information and your free
  whitepaper, visit www.borland.com.

  Free Technical Brief: Ease Troubleshooting & Protocol Testing in
  UMTS

  Tektronix is offering a complimentary technical brief that offers
  hands-on, practical examples of protocol testing in UMTS Networks.
  Service troubleshooting, call tracing and similar tasks haven't
  diminished with the advent of UMTS. Tasks such as these have become
  more complex - even for engineers with many years of protocol
  testing experience in GSM Networks. Request your complimentary
  technical brief: "Protocol Analysis in UMTS Networks."

  FierceDeveloper is the weekly wireless developer report, a free
  weekly email newsletter that saves you time and boosts your
  success.

[Image][Image]