Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 99 channel radios (Open Sky Problems)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 05:06:10 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ramon <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: 99 channel radios

Ben:

I am curious about your "I am holding my breath" remark on Open Sky....
Do 
you have a similar map or any info on what has been made operational and 
what is still to be done ?

I am asking because last year I visited the very first Open Sky
deployment 
at OCTA (Orange County Transportation Authority), near LA and it
appeared 
that they were still not ready after many years with the project under
way. 
If I recall correctly, they were still using Motorola hand helds because 
the Open Sky units were not working they way they were expected, and the 
vehicle mounted units apparently were reported to have low selectivity 
parameters.

I had been a great enthusiast of Open Sky, the last time I met with Don 
Appleby, the program manager in PA was at the APCO show in Denver four 
years ago and he was delighted with the upcoming program at the time. I 
also know the folks who designed the system (almost neighbours) and have 
great respect for their technical team.

Regards,

Ramon Abelleyro
www.interopradio.com

At 07:09 PM 7/31/2004, you wrote:

>I work for the Pennsylvania DEP (env. regulatory agency/emergency response).
>We share a VHF Highband radio system with the Pennsylvania DCNR (State Parks,
>Forestry). My 99 channel Maratrac is nearly all filled up. The actual number
>of channels used for the different DCNR repeaters and simplex channels
>statewide is about 75-80. Then, we throw in a few NOAA weather channels, some
>state police channels, some various interagency channels (depending on
>location), some federal coordination channels, some marine band channels (for
>use around Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Erie). Some vehicles have 128 channel
>Syntors in them that have more state police dispatch channels programmed 
>in and
>then a bunch of blank channels.
>
>Of course, this will all change when the OpenSky system becomes fully
>operational (still holding my breath). Here's a visual overview of how the
>current system is set up for us:
>http://home.comcast.net/~benandchrisie/benspage/VHFradiomap.gif
>
>
>
>=====
>Ben R. - Norristown, PA
>http://www.jeffersonfireco.com
>http://home.comcast.net/~benandchrisie/
>
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/