Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC TAKES ACTION TO PROMOTE BROADBAND DEPLOYMENT TO MULTIPLE DWELLING UNITS (MDUs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:07:30 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
August 4, 2004      Diane L. Griffin at (202) 418-7294
Email: [email-masked]

FCC TAKES ACTION TO PROMOTE BROADBAND DEPLOYMENT TO MULTIPLE DWELLING
UNITS (MDUs)

Rule Change Applies Fiber-to-the-Home Rules to Predominantly Residential
MDUs
Washington, DC – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today acted
to promote broadband deployment to consumers by providing the incumbent
local exchange carriers (LECs) additional incentives to invest in
broadband facilities to multiple dwelling units (MDUs).  The
Reconsideration Order (Order) adopted today concludes that the
fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) rules, which relieve the incumbent LECs from
certain unbundling obligations, will apply to MDUs that are
predominantly residential.  Millions of Americans currently live in
MDUs.  Today’s action will increase incentives for incumbent LECs to
deploy next generation facilities to these consumers and will ensure
that all Americans, not just those residing in single family homes, will
be able to reap the benefits of broadband technology.

In the Triennial Review Order released last year, the Commission
concluded that the broadband capabilities of fiber loops that extend to
a customer’s premises, also known as FTTH loops, would not be subject to
unbundling under section 251 of the Act.  Today’s action builds on the
broadband principles of the Triennial Review Order by further extending
the unbundling relief to fiber loops deployed to predominantly
residential MDUs.

The Order concludes that determining what constitutes a predominantly
residential MDU will be based on the dwelling’s predominant use.  For
example, a multi-level apartment building that houses retail stores such
as a drycleaner or a mini-mart would be predominantly residential, while
an office building that contains a floor of residential suites would
not. The Order further clarifies that a loop will be considered a FTTH
loop if it is deployed to the minimum point of entry of a predominantly
residential MDU, regardless of the ownership of the inside wiring.

- FCC -

Docket Nos.: CC 01-338, CC 96-98, CC 98-147
Action by the Commission, August 4, 2004, by Order on Reconsideration
(FCC 04-191).  Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy and Martin with
Commissioner Copps dissenting, and Commissioner Adelstein concurring in
part and dissenting in part.  Separate statements issued by Chairman
Powell and Commissioners Abernathy, Copps and Adelstein.
Wireline Competition Bureau Staff Contact:  Pamela Arluk at 202-418-1471

News about the Federal Communications Commission can also be found on
the Commission’s web site www.fcc.gov.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-250545A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/