Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nation's First City-Wide WiFi Network Completed, Blankets Grand Haven, Mich., End-to-End with High-Speed Internet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:15:46 -0400

For Immediate Release
Media Contact :
Glen-Eric Nelson
Walker Sands Communications
847-549-1677
[email-masked]

Nation's First City-Wide WiFi Network Completed, Blankets Grand Haven,
Mich., End-to-End with High-Speed Internet Services
First 'Hot City' Provides Anytime, Anywhere Internet Access to All,
Including Boaters

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. - July 29, 2004 - Heralding in a new era of city-wide
WiFi Internet access, Grand Haven, Mich., Mayor Roger Bergman today
announced the completion and full operation of the nation's first
city-wide WiFi broadband network. Othercities have announced intent to
build similar networks or have announced partial deployments; in
contrast, the Grand Haven implementation, by Ottawa Wireless Inc., is
the first full and complete city-wide WiFi deployment in the country."As
the first WiFi city in America, Grand Haven has truly lived up to its
name in the Internet era, as we now allow anyone anywhere to connect to
the Internet and roam the city and waterways in a completely secure
computing environment," Mayor Bergman said.  "The city-wide WiFi service
provided by Ottawa Wireless is already enhancing the quality of life for
residents and tourists and enabling the city to provide new services."

Developed and managed by Ottawa Wireless, a leading provider of wireless
Internet access solutions to business and local government, the system
uses several hundred WiFi (802.11a, b, g) radios strategically located
upon the city infrastructure to blanket its six square miles and provide
coverage 15 miles into Lake Michigan. WiFi, for wireless fidelity, is a
technology that gives users the freedom to receive and transmit data
over the Internet at high speeds from anywhere within the broadcast
signal range. Voice over IP (VOIP) Internet-based phone service is also
available on the new network.  The city-wide WiFi service, which began
commercial operation on a smaller scale in the fall of 2003, represents
a technology first for Ottawa Wireless, which also is developing many
other community-wide WiFi "hot cities" across the Midwest.  "While a few
other cities have announced their intent to build similar networks,
Grand Haven is the first to provide access across the entire city
limits, making it America's first 'hot city,'" said Ottawa Wireless CEO
Tyler van Houwelingen, a former Intel engineer and McKinsey & Company
technology consultant.

"Grand Haven demonstrates how the public and private sectors can work
together to provide an entire city and everyone within its limits with
more affordable, easy-to-access Internet service," he added. "This is a
proud moment for Grand Haven, and the benefits of anytime-anywhere
Internet access are being enjoyed by every facet of our town, from
tourists, boaters, and residents to businesses and municipal agencies.
Already with more than 300 customers, this WiFi service is having a
dramatic impact on the way people work, play and communicate around
town. Its benefits are many, as it enables new public security services,
attracts businesses, boosts tourism, and supports education."

Grand Haven, population 12,000, has more than 2 million visitors each
year. Some hotels and marinas subsidize the wireless service, offering
it free to guests. A local real estate agent views home listings and
prices while touring properties with clients. A local web designer has
relocated his office to his boat for the summer. Other current customers
include the city administration, large and small businesses, and
restaurants. Local public safety agencies and the hospital are in the
process of connecting to the network.  In addition to fixed/mobile
high-speed Internet access, Ottawa Wireless provides advanced services,
such as point-to-point dedicated VPN connections, remote wireless video
surveillance, and high-speed access for boaters up to 15 miles offshore
and at speeds of up to 55 miles per hour. City-wide mobile WiFi VoIP
telephone calling is currently in beta testing with full launch expected
in the next few months. Monthly prices for always-on broadband Internet
starts at $19.99 for 256 kbps, and unlimited mobile VoIP calling is
$29.99. Connections up to 1 Mbps and per-day pricing options are also
available.

Building the First City-Wide WiFi Network
Ottawa Wireless overcame many technology, right-of-way, and
line-of-sight challenges to build the pioneering network across this
picturesque town of waterways, tall trees and rolling hills. Ottawa
Wireless partners include Azulstar Networks, Custos Mobile, The City of
Grand Haven, Grand Haven Board of Light & Power, LogiSense Corp., Ottawa
Electric, Proxim Corp., Telib S.L. and Winncom Technologies. Proxim, a
leading provider of wireless equipment, provided the network radios,
which include Proxim ORiNOCO AP-4000 tri-band access points and the
Proxim Tsunami MP.11a point-to-multipoint wireless backhaul system.
Proxim, a leading provider of wireless equipment, provided the network
radios, which include Proxim ORiNOCO AP-4000 tri-band access points and
the Proxim Tsunami MP.11a point-to-multipoint wireless backhaul system.
According to Chris Jones, Proxim senior vice president of worldwide
sales and marketing, “The Ottawa Wireless network is a great example of
how to effectively provide last-mile broadband access to a community.
Not only can it be offered less expensively thanDSL and cable, it is
also fully mobile and can be rolled out with extreme speed. We have been
delighted to participate with a dynamic company like Ottawa Wireless and
are excited to continue working with them as they grow their network.”

About Ottawa Wireless

Ottawa Wireless, based in Grand Haven, Mich., is a leading provider of
wireless Internet access and services to consumers, businesses and local
government agencies. With the most public WiFi locations deployed
throughout the Midwest, Ottawa Wireless uses open spectrum wireless
Internet for data, voice and video applications. The firm is recognized
as a pioneer in the public deployment of WiFi and WiMAX technologies.
Additional information about Ottawa Wireless is available at
www.ottawawireless.com.

# # #

WiMAX is a registered trademark of the WiMAX Forum. All other trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/