Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Homeland Security Officials Selectively Raise Threat Level

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:31:59 -0400

Homeland Security Officials Selectively Raise Threat Level
By Samantha L. Quigley
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 1, 2004 -- Homeland Security officials have raised the
color- coded threat level to orange, or high, for parts of New York
City, northern New Jersey, and Washington, D.C.

In an afternoon press conference today Homeland Security Secretary Tom
Ridge cited "new and unusually specific information about where al Qaeda
would like to attack," as the reason for the elevation.

The elevation of the threat level specifically targets the
financial-service sectors of New York City, northern New Jersey and
Washington, D.C. The rest of the country remains at a yellow, or
elevated, state of alert.

By raising the threat level for these areas, protective resources can be
brought their highest capacity in and around the buildings that are
reportedly al Qaeda targets, Ridge said. Those specific targets are the
Citigroup buildings and the New York Stock Exchange in New York City,
Prudential Financial in northern New Jersey, and the International
Monetary Fund and World Bank facilities in Washington.

Ridge said actions to further strengthen security around the buildings
are already underway.  Additionally, Homeland Security officials are
working to get more information regarding any possible targets beyond
those named.

"Compared to previous threat reporting, these intelligence reports have
provided a level of detail that is very specific," Ridge said. "The
quality of this intelligence, based on multiple reporting streams in
multiple locations, is rarely seen and is alarming in both the amount
and specificity of the information."

He also said that though the threats, which indicate a physical attack
over a cyber attack, are specific in location, the time frame is not
firm beyond the period leading up to the national elections.

While Homeland Security experts are working with officials from the
White House, FBI, CIA and other federal agencies, Ridge said, the
governors and mayors of the affected areas also have been brought into
the loop.

Security measures are being tailored to each specific building with the
help of the executive leadership of the companies that own and operate
the buildings.

"Understandably, security measures at each facility will not be uniform
in nature, given the scope and scale of the building architecture,
access to and from roads, and other variables," Ridge said. "Certainly,
we will not broadcast our intentions to the enemy."

Buffer zones to secure building perimeters from unauthorized vehicles,
restricting access to underground parking, and tighter screening of
personnel entering and exiting the buildings are a few of the measures
being taken in light of the new information. Ridge said these measures,
seen and unseen, add layers of protection to an already vigorous
security effort across the country.
The secretary said the kind of information that led to the elevation of
the threat level comes from offensive intelligence and military
operations overseas and strong partnerships with world allies.

"The terrorists should know, in this country, this kind of information,
while startling, is not stifling," Ridge said. "Al Qaeda wants to
intimidate us and prevent us from enjoying our freedoms. And yet,
liberty has no greater protector than the collective will of the
American people. So, together let us take inspiration from this
strength, and use it to our utmost to keep our great nation safe and
free."

With many symbolic events and large gatherings -- including the
Democratic and Republican national conventions -- this summer, security
has been ramped up to unprecedented levels, officials have said.
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Aug2004/n08012004_2004080103.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/