Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SDR Forum to demo Java version of software specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:43:23 -0400

SDR Forum to demo Java version of software specification

Mobile Radio Technology
August 3, 2004

The SDR Forum’s public-safety special interest group (SIG) plans to
issue a request for information seeking specific ideas regarding how
software-defined radio technology can meet public-safety requirements.
Of specific interest are the requirements of the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security, as well as Project MESA, which is working to develop
international specifications for advanced mobile broadband
communications for public safety.

“We want vendors to tell us how software-defined radio technologies can
meet these requirements down the road,” said Fred Frantz, SDR Forum
member and director of law-enforcement communications for L3
Communications Government Services. For example, The SDR Forum hopes to
learn whether alternatives to CORBA that would still meet public-safety
requirements exist or could be developed.

“The military has invested a significant amount of money into an SCA
architecture that’s based on CORBA, but one of the open questions is to
what extent does that makes sense for public safety,” Frantz said.

He added that informal discussions thus far have yielded only “a lot of
opinions.”

“We’re hoping that the experts in the field will give us thoughtful
perspectives on this issue,” Frantz said. “Some of the capabilities
being developed might be more than what public safety needs and could be
quite costly, not just in terms of equipment costs but also operating
costs.”

Frantz said the RFI would be issued towards the end of August, and would
“most likely” remain open for 45 days. The SDR Forum hopes to release a
report based on the feedback “sometime in early 2005.”

© 2004, Primedia Business Magazines and Media, a PRIMEDIA company.
All rights reserved.
http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_sdr_forum_demo/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/