Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tennessee Valley Authority Switches To Nextel To Avoid FCC "narrowband" mandate for Land Mobile Radio- (Poor Misguided Soles)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:22:10 -0400

Tennessee Valley Authority Switches To Nextel To  Avoid FCC "narrowband"
mandate for Land Mobile Radio- (Poor Misguided Soles).
Tennessee Valley Authority Selects Nextel for 10-Year Wireless Service
Agreement
Tuesday August 3, 10:00 am ET

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 3, 2004--Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL - News)
America's Largest Public Utility to Benefit from Instant, Interoperable
Communication Using Nextel Direct Connect®
Nextel to Implement Custom Wireless Networks at 15 TVA Power Facilities

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) and Nextel Partners
Inc.  (NASDAQ:NXTP - News) today announced a 10-year agreement with the
Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), the nation's largest public utility,
for wireless service at 15 TVA facilities in three states. Under the
agreement, Nextel will provide in-building wireless coverage and
enhanced outdoor site coverage to TVA fossil and nuclear plants,
facilitating communications among TVA workers, departments and plants.
To date, Nextel has successfully deployed Custom Network Solutions at
six of the 15 plants; upon completion, TVA will have activated more than
3,000 handsets on the Nextel network.

TVA selected Nextel's Custom Network Solutions group to replace its
legacy wireless communications systems in response to the FCC
"narrowband" mandate for Land Mobile Radio (LMR) 2-Way Radio Systems.
With Nextel, TVA gains the benefits of Nextel Nationwide Direct Connect®
- the digital walkie-talkie feature - and digital cellular coverage,
while also establishing a framework for rolling out
productivity-enhancing wireless data applications - all at a fraction of
the cost of updating and maintaining its numerous LMR systems. The
Nextel solution will enable interoperable communication between various
TVA departments across multiple states. This interoperability will also
allow TVA to have instant access to local fire and police contacts, as
well as many other government agencies throughout their service area.

According to Butch Musselman, Nextel's vice president, Utilities: "The
TVA agreement is a major milestone for Nextel in the utilities market
and another in a series of powerful proof points demonstrating the value
of Nextel wireless technology in the utilities space.  As utilities
nationwide look for solutions beyond buying, maintaining and operating
private land mobile radio systems, many are realizing that Nextel can
provide leading edge technology at a much lower total cost of
ownership."

Nextel began working with TVA in September 2002, deploying its Custom
Network Solutions at two pilot sites: the Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant
and the Kingston Fossil Plant. Based on the success of these
implementations, which underscored the reliability of the Nextel network
and high service levels delivered by the Nextel Custom Network Solutions
group, the companies agreed to expand the project to 13 additional
plants in Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama, resulting in the 10-year,
15-site agreement announced today.
Nextel's Custom Network Solutions group designs and deploys customized
wireless networks that bring the power, productivity and efficiency of
Nextel voice and data communications to every corner of a customer's
facility. For more information on Nextel CNS, please see:
www.nextel.com/cns.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040803/35552_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:12:59 -0400

Good catch Peter!

hithel woods wrote:

> TVA uses Federal freqs - 40 Mhz and 166 Mhz and 406
> Mhz etc - those are IRAC freqs not FCC freqs - perhaps
> they meant the "IRAC / NTIA / whatever its called now"
> mandate to narrowband. AFAIK - peter S
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links