Subject: [NEXTEL-1] First Responders to Congress: New DC/NYC Terror Threat, 9/11 Report Show Need for Action Now on Interoperability Crisis

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:25:15 -0400

First Responders to Congress: New DC/NYC Terror Threat, 9/11 Report Show
Need for Action Now on Interoperability Crisis

Hearings Urged in Order to Meet Urgent Communication Needs of Police,
Firefighters and EMTs
WASHINGTON, Aug. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The firefighters, police officers and
concerned groups comprising the First Response Coalition
(http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org) today issued the following
letter to the chairs and ranking minority members of the U.S. House of
Representatives Government Reform Committee, and Select Committee on
Homeland Security and the U.S. Senate Governmental Affairs Committee:
August 5, 2004

Dear Sirs:

When the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) acted less than a month
ago (July 8, 2004) to place Nextel's bottom line ahead of the grave
"interoperability" crisis in police and firefighter communications that
was highlighted amidst the horrors of 9/11, the First Response Coalition
called on Congress to overrule the Commission's ill-advised decision.
Our recommendation was that Congress should earmark the proceeds from a
lawful spectrum sale to address the problem of "interoperability" --
that of police, firefighter, EMT, and other local emergency units to
communicate with each other and with local, state and federal agencies.

We continue to urge that Congress get involved in this situation.  In
fact, we believe that recent developments make an extremely powerful
case for immediate hearings on the interoperability crisis and the
overturning of the FCC/Nextel spectrum grab, which was carried out in
violation of the intent of Congress.  Consider these recent developments
that have unfolded since the FCC decision in July:

* HEIGHTENED TERROR ALERT.  This past Monday, Homeland Security Director
Tom Ridge elevated the threat level facing both Washington, D.C. and New
York City.  Not only are these the same metropolitan areas that were
scarred by the horrors of 9/11, but they also are the places where the
interoperability crisis in communications led needlessly to the deaths
of dozens or possibly even hundreds of first responders and citizens.
The fact that these same cities are living once again under a very real
terror threat -- and that the interoperability crisis remains unsolved
three years after 9/11 -- makes it imperative for Congress to get
involved in framing a resolution for the problem.  The best and most
affordable option available to federal lawmakers today:  Use legitimate
spectrum auction fees to address the interoperability problem once and
for all.  As an added benefit, this plan would address the
Nextel-created interference issue, as well.

* 9/11 COMMISSION REPORT RECOMMENDATIONS.  The Coalition directs your
attention to the 9/11 Commission Report (chapter 12, pages 397-398),
which includes the following passages:  "The attacks of September 11,
2001 overwhelmed the response capacity of most of the local
jurisdictions where the hijacked airliners crashed ... The inability to
communicate was a critical element at the World Trade Center, Pentagon,
and Somerset County, Pennsylvania, crash sites, where multiple agencies
and multiple jurisdictions responded.  The occurrence of this problem at
three very different sites is strong evidence that compatible and
adequate communications among public safety organizations at the local,
state, and federal levels remains an important problem."  We agree with
the 9/11 Commission that Congress needs to get involved directly in
addressing the spectrum allocation controversy and recommend specific
solutions.  We further support the related 9/11 Commission
recommendation:  "Federal funding of such (interagency communication)
units should be given high priority..."

The First Response Coalition has developed a white paper, "It's Time To
Talk: Achieving Interoperable Communications For America's First
Responders," which is available online at
http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org.  This report addresses the scope
of the communications interoperability problem, examines the reasons
public safety departments can't communicate, and the importance of
interoperability to first responders and the communities they protect.
It also explores the barriers to interoperability, including cost, lack
of coordinated planning, and scarcity of spectrum resources.  The paper
concludes with the First Response Coalition's plan to make public safety
communications interoperability a national priority and create a funding
mechanism that will allow first responders to obtain the communications
equipment and infrastructure they desperately need.  The First Response
Coalition believes that adequate funding for improving public safety
communication systems is the highest priority.  The Coalition advocates
a common-sense solution:  Congress requiring an auction for the
frequencies at 1.9 GHz, which the FCC is giving away for free, and to
then dedicate that money for public safety improvements.  The First
Response Coalition recognizes that low income, rural, and underserved
communities lack the resources to upgrade their technology.  It supports
an accelerated regional deployment schedule to ensure that all public
safety communications systems are interoperable by 2006, and that
low-interest loans and loan guarantees are made available to assist
underserved and economically-disadvantaged communities in obtaining the
newest communications technologies.  This is an agenda that Congress
should -- and must embrace -- as America experiences new terror threats
and also takes stock of the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission.
Please feel free to call upon the First Response Coalition to provide
testimony as you tackle the interoperability crisis and the interference
problem.  Not only does it make sense to address both problems at the
same time, but America's first responders and the people they serve will
thank you for doing so.

Yours,
Gene Stilp
Coordinator, First Response Coalition
Volunteer firefighter, EMT and vice president of the Dauphin-Middle
Paxton Fire Company #1, in Dauphin, Pennsylvania.

ABOUT THE FIRST RESPONSE COALITION
The First Response Coalition (http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org)
consists of citizens, individual first responders, and advocacy groups
who are particularly concerned about first responders having the best
possible communications capabilities.  The First Response Coalition
believes interoperability issues must be addressed by the FCC in any
plan that reorganizes spectrum and will disrupt public safety
communications systems across the country.
Since its launch in June 2004, the First Response Coalition has grown
rapidly to include the National Black Police Officers, the American
Legislative Exchange Council and the California Seniors Coalition.  In
addition to Stilp and William Fox, commissioner, Metropolitan Fire
Association, New York City, the Coalition's original members include the
Gray Panthers, the Black Chamber of Commerce and the American Corn
Growers.
SOURCE First Response Coalition, Washington, D.C.
Web Site: http://www.FirstResponseCoalition.org

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/08-05-2004/0002226290&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/