Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile IP could liberate network-bound computers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:17:31 -0400

08/02/04; Vol. 23 No. 21

Mobile IP could liberate network-bound computers

By Jaob Jackson
GCN Staff

An emerging networking standard called Mobile IP could add a lot of
range to mobile computing.

Just as cell phone users can roam from one provider’s region to another
without adjusting their phones, Mobile IP would let users of mobile
computing devices move from network to network without reconfiguration.

This could prove invaluable to government agencies making greater use of
wireless networks. The small, lightweight, software-defined radios to be
developed under Cluster 5 of the Army’s Joint Tactical Radio System will
incorporate Mobile IP, according to Byron Tarver, director of
engineering for the communication network division of the C4 Systems
unit of General Dynamics Corp. of Falls Church, Va.

General Dynamics recently won a contract worth up to $1 billion to
develop the radios, which are to be used by military service members.
General Dynamics is also rumored to have won the pending $10 billion
Warfighter Information Network-Tactical contract to build a high-speed,
high-capacity infrastructure network. Wireless will be a crucial part of
this network, and General Dynamics plans to incorporate Mobile IP,
Tarver said.

“The military has a lot of mobile nodes that join different networks at
different times,” Tarver said. For instance, ships might be deployed to
a certain tactical area and must join a network for that theater of
operations. “The nodes come and go from different networks, and that
presented a tremendous problem technically from an IP standpoint.”

In traditional IP-based networks, each node—say a workstation—is
assigned a fixed Internet address, which is held by the routers sending
data to that workstation from other networks. While this approach works
well with computers that remain in one place, if a computer is moved to
another network—such as another LAN—its fixed Internet address is not
recognized by that network’s Internet gateway. Administrators must
manually update the network settings of both the client and the host
network’s own routers, switches and gateways.

Developed by a working group of the Internet Engineering Task Force,
Mobile IP eliminates this step by allowing individual nodes to join
different networks without reconfiguration.

Mobile IP assigns a second address to a mobile node, in addition to the
standard home network static address. The second address serves as a
send-in-care-of address. Each network with mobile clients will have a
home agent, a server that keeps track of where roaming clients are.

The home agent intercepts all the packets destined for a wandering
client and forwards them to the new destination, using the care-of
address. Likewise, each network that hosts outside clients will have a
foreign agent, a server that routes forwarded data to visiting clients.

Mobile IP would be valuable to pretty much every federal agency, said
Chris Josephs, director of homeland security for Cisco Systems Inc.

Cisco, like most network gear manufacturers, has added Mobile IP support
to its operating system software.

“You will get better productivity from people because you’re bringing
technology to the way people live rather than forcing people to live in
a way to use the technology for work,” Josephs said.

While integrators and hardware vendors introduce Mobile IP to government
agencies, standards bodies are trying to enhance the protocol for more
elaborate uses.

The IETF also is working on an extension to Mobile IP called Mobile
Ad-hoc Networks. Josephs said that Mobile Ad-hoc Networks are temporary
networks of multiple components that can be set up quickly, without
coordinating with the home networks. Such instant networks would be
particularly valuable for first responders who coordinate communication
at a disaster site.

An IETF working group is developing another concept called Mobile
Router. Whereas mobile IP allows one device to jump from one subnet to
another, mobile routing can transfer an entire set of addresses.

This technique could be quite handy for spacecraft, for instance, which
can hold a number of IP-enabled devices sending data back to their
terrestrial program managers. As a craft moves through space, it
switches data communications links from one ground station to another,
depending on which one is in view.

Mobile routing would allow all the craft’s components to communicate
with their home networks, no matter which ground station they use, said
Phil Paulsen, who works at the space communications office at NASA’s
Glenn Research Center in Cleveland.

“So now, instead of making and breaking a lot of individual threads, I
just have one. The router itself establishes the communication path,”
Paulsen said.

NASA tested the mobile routing concept in 2002 on a Coast Guard ship,
the Neah Bay, on Lake Erie [GCN, April 21, 2003]. Using a Cisco Mobile
Access Router with the mobile router code, NASA gave the ship’s network
Internet access and ran a number of Internet applications such as video
conferencing and IP telephony. Initial access came via a WiFi antenna.
As the ship moved out of WiFi range, the router sensed the loss of
connection and switched automatically to satellite communications.

“It was totally seamless. You had no idea that [the switchover]
happened,” Paulsen said.

http://gcn.com/23_21/news/26795-1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/