Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi phones make a splash

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:52:41 -0400

Wi-Fi phones make a splash
August 5, 2004

Takeaway:
Roaming between wireless local area networks and cellular services may
be closer--and pricier--than expected.

Stay on top of the latest tech news with our free IT News Digest
e-newsletter, delivered each weekday. Automatically sign up today!

By Ben Charny
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Cell phone makers plan to release so-called Wi-Fi phones ahead of
schedule, bringing new threats and opportunities to wireless carriers
and traditional phone service providers.
The highly anticipated hybrid phones let people make connections using a
local wireless Internet access point and seamlessly switch over to a
cell phone network whenever necessary. The net result is greater
flexibility in mobile communications as well as potential cost savings
gained by shifting call minutes that would otherwise count against a
cell phone plan onto the Internet.

New phones and handsets that promise to accomplish this feat are due
later this year from Motorola, Hewlett-Packard and NEC. Each is
different, but all combine into a single device three hot technologies
that are transforming the telecommunications industry: high-speed Wi-Fi
wireless networks, voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and wireless
broadband.
"If you go into any major carrier in North America or Europe today, they
are at the very least in the strategic planning phases of integrating
Wi-Fi and cellular into a package," said Novatel Wireless Vice President
Brad Weinert. "What's holding them back is the infrastructure to manage
this on a large scale. But the operators are certainly driving in this
direction quickly."

The marriage of short-range, high-speed Net access and cellular service
brings together two technologies that have sprung up side by side,
creating opportunities for both collaboration and competition. Cellular
carriers have spent billions of dollars to upgrade their systems for
high-speed data, or third-generation (3G), services. These offer wide
coverage that exceeds Wi-Fi's short range, but bandwidth tops out at
less than 500kbps (kilobits per second), and thus can't compare with
wireless LAN (local area network) technology that blazes at speeds up to
54mbps (megabits per second).

Combining the ability to use both kinds of networks on a single device
allows consumers to take advantage of the best each has to offer.

Hybrid handsets can use both data and voice applications, with most of
the attention focused on data until recently. But that's changing,
thanks to technology improvements for managing call transfers between
Wi-Fi and cell phone networks and the increasing popularity of VoIP on
corporate networks.

Early versions of Wi-Fi cell phones failed miserably because of the
enormous drain on the batteries--which must support two chipsets rather
than one--and because users were forced to manually switch between
networks. But at least one phone maker, Motorola, now claims to have
solved the automatic transfer problem. As a result, carriers are
promising some dizzying scenarios by Christmas. For instance, a customer
could start a call on an office Wi-Fi network, switch to a cell phone
network as he or she travels outside the office building, then conclude
the call on a home wireless network, all with no interruptions.

T-Mobile USA plans to offer a hybrid phone developed by Motorola, Avaya
and Proxim, designed to allow someone to use the same phone to carry on
the same conversation while traveling on the highway or sitting in an
office cubicle. Meanwhile, Sprint may soon opt to distribute one of the
phones. The company has already had some success selling a more
cumbersome service that doesn't automatically toggle and which was
created primarily for data transfer rather than voice sessions.

AT&T Wireless, Verizon Wireless and Sprint are also likely candidates.
They are reselling access to a 3,300 hot-spot wide network owned and
operated by Wayport. The hot-spot company two years ago signed roaming
agreements with cell phone service providers "just in anticipation" of
the debut of cell phones with Wi-Fi radios inside, said Wayport Vice
President Dan Lowden.

Although carriers could wind up losing some revenue if Wi-Fi users shift
a large number of minutes off their networks, some see the new phones as
an opportunity to cement the cell phone as a true replacement for
traditional wired phone service.

"I see an opportunity to attack the regional Bell operating companies,"
said Barry West, chief technology officer at Nextel Communications and
an early fan of such hybrid phones.
The handoff

Motorola, in cooperation with Proxim and Avaya, has developed one of the
most significant of the new hybrid phones. The phone, unlike those from
competitors, switches automatically between cellular and wireless
Internet networks.

While careful not to give up too many trade secrets, Chris White,
Motorola's director of business development, said network software helps
the cell phone sense when it's about to reach the end of Wi-Fi coverage.
While the call is still traveling through the Wi-Fi network, the phone
will register onto a cellular network, in essence creating a second
phone line for the call.
The phone has been in the works since last year, when Motorola struck a
deal to use chips from Texas Instruments designed for the purpose.

When the Wi-Fi signal degrades to a preset level, the call is bridged
onto the cell connection through means that Motorola declined to discuss
in detail.
The only thing a consumer will notice is the change in the quality of
the caller's voice--for the better if the phone is switching to a Wi-Fi
network and for the worse if it's hopping onto the cell phone network.

"What's happening here is we're setting up two different IP addresses
for the same call, and that's something that's never been done before,"
White said.
Pocketbook panic

The handsets will be expensive and marketed primarily toward business
customers, at least for now.
For instance, HP's 6315 iPaq, which switches between traditional
cellular and Wi-Fi networks, costs $500, and that's with a $100 discount
for signing a one-year contract with T-Mobile. The carrier will begin
selling the device around Aug. 26.

That price is likely to be too high for most cell phone users, who are
used to paying less than $50 for a color camera phone that might cost
carriers $300.
Plus, wireless broadband would cost consumers between $40 and $80 a
month, and unlimited access to a nationwide Wi-Fi hot-spot network would
add another $20 to $40 a month.
"There are a lot of cost barriers," a Sprint representative said. "There
aren't a lot of customers willing to pay what a carrier will be charging
for things like an automatic handoff between networks."

Motorola has said its new hybrid phone will be used primarily by
businesses. The handset maker chose to use the 802.11a Wi-Fi standard,
which is found almost exclusively in offices, rather than the more
widely used 802.11b or 802.11g standards.

"These phones are not in the consumer end of the business," Motorola's
White said.

It could take up to two years before carriers focus their Wi-Fi phone
efforts toward consumers, some experts believe.
"Most carriers haven't evolved the business model for consumers," said
Mack Weatherby, marketing alliances director at Avaya. "But there will
be more carriers selling to consumers."

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5298078.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/