Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PTT subject to CALEA rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0400

PTT subject to CALEA rules

Aug. 04, 2004

WASHINGTON

Push-to-talk services that use Internet protocol or
packet-mode architectures are subject to the digital
wiretap act, the Federal Communications Commission
ruled Wednesday. 

“In the companion declaratory ruling, we grant in part a
law enforcement request that clarifies that commercial
wireless PTT services are subject to CALEA regardless of
the technologies CMRS providers choose to apply in offering
them, “ said FCC Chairman Michael Powell. “Our support for
law enforcement is unwavering; it is our goal in this proceeding
to ensure that law enforcement agencies have all of the
electronic surveillance capabilities that CALEA authorizes to
combat crime and terrorism and support homeland security.” 

The declaratory ruling on PTT services came as the FCC
proposed rules to extend the Communications Assistance for
Law Enforcement Act to Internet protocol - or information - 
services. Law enforcement and industry have been in a tug-of-war
for several years regarding whether information services were
covered by CALEA. The FCC today said it tentatively concluded
that they were because many of these services substantially
replace regular wireline telephony services.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=19079

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/