Subject: [Mobopts] RG Status, Meeting in Quebec City

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:37:56 -0700

Hello folks,

It's been a while.. I wanted to share with you a quick status update.

First, RFC 6252 (Media Independent Pre-authentication Framework) was
published. Congratulations to the authors and the RG! So, we have published
all the outstanding documents (5 RFCs in all).

Next, let me introduce Suresh Krishnan as the new co-chair of MobOpts.
Suresh is keen on providing the rejuvenation the RG can benefit from, and
will the lead the effort.

We have had some exchange on this. The thinking is to broaden the scope of
the mobility work, including (but not limited to) the following:

- Investigate new mobility mechanisms and architectures, publish them as
peer-reviewed publications.

- Investigate privacy in mobile networks, especially with IPv6

- Investigate mobile device policy management for functions such as network
discovery, congestion reporting and flow management

- provide a general forum for discussing mobility studies in a larger sense
such as vehicular networks, personal area networks, 4G performance studies,
testbed evaluations etc.

- provide a forum for discussing experimental testbeds, results and so
forth.

We would like to hear your thoughts.

We are on the agenda for the Quebec City IETF. Please let us know if you
would like to request a slot on any relevant topic. At this point, we are
open for any new relevant topics.

Regards, 

-Rajeev Koodli, Suresh Krishnan

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rajeev,

As for 

Does this item include dmm? 
As you know currently all dmm drafts are submitted to mext :-).

Regards,

Behcet

> _______________________________________________
> Mobopts  mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts
>

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:58:07 -0400

Hi Behcet,

> Does this item include dmm? 

dmm as in "operational considerations for the use of (ds)mip6 protocols 
unchanged in a distributed fashion", no. Otherwise, DMM as the concept 
of distributed mobility management is certainly fair game. The goal is 
to allow people to present alternative (read non-mip*) based mobility 
management schemes as well.

> As you know currently all dmm drafts are submitted to mext :-).

Right. And it will stay that way :-).

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:25:03 +0300

Hi,

> will the lead the effort.

welcome, Suresh!

> We would like to hear your thoughts.

This is a good plan for MOBOPTS to stay active and relevant. But it is also significantly broadening the charter compared to what we currently have. This is not an issue per se, but the IAB and myself will want to see substantial, continuous and relevant researcher participation in the RG, before approving a new charter. I hope that the meeting in Quebec will put us on the track for that to occur.

Thanks,
Lars