Subject: [Mops] Implications of mass quarantine and video networking requirements

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:54:40 -0400

Some thoughts from the Streaming Video Alliance:

https://www.streamingvideoalliance.org/2020/03/16/forced-to-scale-advice-for-dealing-with-sudden-unexpected-and-probably-consistent-demand/

E.g., from Matt Stock:

> Matt Stock (Principal Architect, SMTS)
>
> A lot of the live event capacity is structured around large events 
> with many clients. Those kinds of streams will drop in number. I 
> believe we’re going to see a shift to many much smaller streams, 
> which by their nature will be somewhat less efficient. Quality will be 
> somewhat lower. Live linear, and news channels in particular, will 
> start to look like concert-type live events, with many people watching 
> live press conferences to get their information. Adjusting those 
> configurations proactively for higher scale and treating them like 
> live event channels should be considered.

Are there things we think MOPS should be looking at, long term, here?  
Capturing information about implications for current operational 
networks and standards?

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 15:25:43 -0500

Hi, Leslie,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:55 AM Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> A lot of the live event capacity is structured around large events with
> many clients. Those kinds of streams will drop in number. I believe we’re
> going to see a shift to many much smaller streams, which by their nature
> will be somewhat less efficient. Quality will be somewhat lower. Live
> linear, and news channels in particular, will start to look like
> concert-type live events, with many people watching live press conferences
> to get their information. Adjusting those configurations proactively for
> higher scale and treating them like live event channels should be
> considered.
>
> Capturing information about implications for current operational networks
> and standards?
>
Although we talked about it before CoViD-19 became A Thing, we did add
section 2.5 to
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mops-streaming-opcons-01#section-2.5 a
while back, which talked about unpredictable usage profiles.

ISTM that some of that's relevant, ISTM after looking at the SVA link you
posted that the new section in the MOPS document is pretty focused on
transport considerations, so taking a broader view might be helpful, and
ISTM that one of the questions worth thinking about is whether there's an
audience who would read a document with "Pandemic" in the title, so
producing a document with that focus might be a community service.

Thank you for bringing this up. However the chairs and working group might
choose to structure the work, I'd definitely contribute.

Best,

Spencer