Subject: RE: LLC/SNAP encapsulation

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:58:26 -0800

Hi Francois,
 
I think since the default connection ( VPI=0, VCI=32 ) is used for LDP but
MAY also be used for any other non-Labeled packet (e.g. IPX),  then for
interoperability between different vendor products you MUST use LLC/SNAP. 
 
-Shahram

-----Original Message-----
From: Francois.Paillet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 9:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LLC/SNAP encapsulation

Hi, 

Excuse-me if a lot of e-mails have been written about this issue, 
but I've some doubts about the chapter 7 ("Use of VPI/VCIs") in the
draft-ietf-mpls-atm-02.txt (Is it the last version ? Its 
expiration date is October 1999). 
These doubts concern the encapsulation of non-labelled packets 
between ATM-LC interfaces, here are my questions: 

- Does LDP have to be carried on a VPI/VCI connection with LLC/SNAP
encapsulation ? Does the draft forbid to use a NULL-encapsulation 
connection to bear LDP ? 

- If yes, what's the reason ? If a LSR only supports IP protocol at 
layer 3 (no other protocol such as IPX, ...), it seems to be useless 
to add the LLC/SNAP encapsulation, doesn't it ? 

Thank in advance for your responses. 
Best regards, 

Francois Paillet. 

-- 
Francois PAILLET                                Ericsson (MET) 
Tel : 33 1 64 47 66 10                          19, avenue Carnot 
Fax : 33 1 64 47 50 33                          91348 Massy Cedex 
mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>          FRANCE