Subject: Re: Reordering and MPLS?

From: Christian Kuhtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 00:11:31 -0500

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 11:47:22PM -0500, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
> I wasn't intending to mean anything specific by "flow", just "a stream of
> packets that the resource allocation treats as a group". So for "flows" in the
> above sentence, substitute "packets in different resource allocation
> groupings", or whatever similar phrase will keep you happy.

Regardless of the semantics, only traffic shaping (buffering) inside a class
will prevent you from reordering.  If you do as much as WFQ in a class, you get
reordering..

Cheers,
Chris

-- 
Christian Kuhtz                                     Architecture, BellSouth.net
<[email-masked]> -wk, <[email-masked]> -hm                       Atlanta, GA
                                                    "Speaking for myself only."

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 21:20:27 -0800

Christian

As long as you are doing WFQ between classes and the packets of the same flow belong
to the same class or they use AF with different DPs, then there is no chance of
reordering. And we don't care about the ordering of different flows. There are also
good references for how to preserve ordering in draft-ietf-ospf-omp-xx.txt (submit
latest number in place of xx).

Please also review the Diffserv WG documents on this topic.

Bora Akyol
Pluris, http://www.pluris.com