Subject: IP vs ATM

From: "Constantine Protopapas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:33:01 +0200

I am writing a study comparing IP vs. ATM for QoS-enabled backbones. My
question concerns the bandwidth requirements of these 2 technologies. ATM's
minimum (in the sence that it can function as it is designed) bandwidth is
OC-3 (155 Mbps). However, it can also function at lower speeds (i know a
case where it is implemented over E1 links). What are the bandwidth
requirments of IP (and especially when MPLS is implemented) in order to
assure QoS over time-sensitive applications (i am especially interested in
voice).

Constantine Protopapas
Systems/Network Engineer
Applied Science
62 Karpenisioti Str.
GR 115 24 N. Filothei
Athens
GREECE
tel:             ++30-1-6998225 (office)
                 ++30-1-6801391 (home)
fax:            ++30-1-6998983
mobile:       ++30-97-7598043
e-mail:     [email-masked] (office)
               [email-masked] (home)