Subject: Difference between LSP and LSP tunnel?

From: d6942004 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:59:06 +0800

hi,

Can somebody tell me the differences between LSP and LSP tunnel?

I see the definition in "draft-ietf-mpls-arch-0.6txt".

1.
LSP tunnel example:

3.27.4. Hierarchy: LSP Tunnels within LSPs

   Consider a LSP <R1, R2, R3, R4>. Let us suppose that R1 receives
   unlabeled packet P, and pushes on its label stack the label to cause
   it to follow this path, and that this is in fact the Hop-by-hop path.

   However, let us further suppose that R2 and R3 are not directly
   connected, but are "neighbors" by virtue of being the endpoints of an

   LSP tunnel. So the actual sequence of LSRs traversed by P is <R1, R2,

   R21, R22, R23, R3, R4>.

   When P travels from R1 to R2, it will have a label stack of depth 1.
   R2, switching on the label, determines that P must enter the tunnel.
   R2 first replaces the Incoming label with a label that is meaningful
   to R3.  Then it pushes on a new label. This level 2 label has a value

   which is meaningful to R21. Switching is done on the level 2 label by

   R21, R22, R23. R23, which is the penultimate hop in the R2-R3 tunnel,

   pops the label stack before forwarding the packet to R3. When R3 sees

   packet P, P has only a level 1 label, having now exited the tunnel.
   Since R3 is the penultimate hop in P's level 1 LSP, it pops the label

   stack, and R4 receives P unlabeled.

but from the LSP definition

In other words, we can speak of the level m LSP for Packet P as the
   sequence of routers:

      1. which begins with an LSR (an "LSP Ingress") that pushes on a
         level m label,

      2. all of whose intermediate LSRs make their forwarding decision
         by label Switching on a level m label,

      3. which ends (at an "LSP Egress") when a forwarding decision is
         made by label Switching on a level m-k label, where k>0, or
         when a forwarding decision is made by "ordinary", non-MPLS
         forwarding procedures.

So my questions are

1. Is  <R2, R21, R22, R23, R3, R4>  a  LSP?
2. Is  <R1,R2, R21, R22, R23, R3, R4> a LSP tunnel?
3. Trsffic engineering works on LSP or LSP tunnel?