Subject: RE: RE: LDP/CR-LDP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:42:49 -0600

VPNs and QoS are created by edge routers and can be done in many ways,
some discusssed openly in IETF and others more vendor-specific.   Cisco
uses BGP-based RFC-2457 as a means to distribute VPN membership
information among the edge routers.  everst intent was to establish
virtual routers at the time IP interfaces are provisioned.   Cisco uses
RSVP to signal L2 paths to create specifc LSPs for the VPNs.  Everest
was planning to use ATM-SVCs, then evolve to LSPs and would be
indifferent to RSVP vs. CR-LDP.   QoS has many more options, most that
say to have a different LSP to the same edge-edge path for each QoS
class.  These can be set up using RSVP or CR-LDP.  Different vendors
have different approaches to QoS.  Our approach is the triggfers and
treatments model. We will initially map into different ATM SVCs with
travel p rofiles.   As we implement MPLS with LER, we would map
different classes into LSPs that have traffic profiles created using
CR-LDP or RSVP.   AS a transit LSR, we only woiuld need to support
whatever scheme the LERs implement, assuming they are compatible.   I
would not suppose that different vendors like Cisco or Nortel would have
similar apporaches to QoS or VPNs, where they can't even agree on
simpler things.

    -----Original Message-----
   From:       Gan, YickBeng /sg,its  
   Sent:       Tuesday, March 21, 2000 8:41 PM
   To:         [email-masked]
   Cc:         Gan, YickBeng /sg,its
   Subject:    FW: RE: LDP/CR-LDP
   
   Hi All
   
   I'm quite new to this. Does anybody know the answers to the below
   questions. 
   
   a)    Can CR-LDP support VPN and QoS ? How can this be done ?
      
   b) Will both protocols (i.e. BGP and OSPF) affect VPN and QoS using
      LDP/CR-LDP ? If yes, can I have the technical details.

   Thanks

   Regards
   Gan