Subject: Re: soft permanent lsps

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 15:08:15 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Juha Heinanen writes:
> Curtis Villamizar writes:
> 
>  > If the tunnel is truly transparent it appears as a single hop.  When
>  > the customer LSR at one end sends a RSVP path message, it puts the
>  > fixed label over the IP packet.  When it gets back a RESV message, it
>  > knows the label the other side wants to use.  When it uses the LSP
>  > that was set up using that PATH and RESV message it puts the fixed
>  > label over the one negotiated in the setup.
> 
> now you suddenly started assume that the customer routers exchange
> signaling messages between each other, which is a totally different ball
> game than what splsp i-d is all about.
> 
> -- juha

The customer can static route if they want.  

The point is that if they WANT to exchange information encapsulated as
CLNP, IP, IP/RSVP, or MPLS, they CAN do it because it will all work.
The label that gets traffic to go through the ISP is fixed.  The label
that indicates to the far end where the traffic came from is fixed and
is completely up to the customer.  The ISP is not involved in any of
this except to agree to get traffic that comes in with a specific
label to come out someplace else with one less label.

Curtis