Subject: Merging permitted in RSVP-05

From: "Abes, Andi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:56:48 -0500

In section 4.7 of rsvp-tunnel-05

          0x02  Merging permitted

                This flag permits transit routers to merge this session
                with other RSVP sessions for the purpose of reducing
                resource overhead on downstream transit routers, thereby
                providing better network scalability.

Later in that section:

   The support of merging is OPTIONAL.  A node may recognize the Merge
   Flag but may be unable to perform the requested operation.  In this
   case, the node SHOULD pass the information downstream unchanged.

These are the only 2 mentioning of this "session merge".

What merge are we talking about ?
How are the processing rules effected by the setting of the flag ?

TIA,
Andi.

---

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:53:07 -0500

> How are the processing rules effected by the setting of the flag ?

  I think this bit also had implications in one of the RSVP fast reroute
drafts can't remember the details right now...

  Cheers,

  Peter