Subject: Further thoughts on the location of the LIB

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:05:56 -0000

All,

Having thought about this further, I quite like the access to the LIB in the
LSR MIB.  In particular, it is relatively easy to determine the output
interface and label from the input interface and label.

On the other hand, the LIB is firmly established in the LDP MIB which needs
to move forward.

There are two options here which don't force any immediate changes.

Firstly, there is good precedent for duplicating information in different
MIBs especially where those MIBs are likely to be implemented in separate
components of the system.  (For example the TSpec which is present in the TE
MIB and LSR MIB).

Secondly, if after both MIBs have been developed and implemented, it is
decided that the LIB is no longer appropriate in the LDP MIB it can be
obsoleted.  This is something that has happened in many MIBs in the past.

Adrian
--
Adrian Farrel  mailto:[email-masked]
Network Convergence Group
Data Connection Ltd., Chester, UK
http://www.datcon.co.uk/
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 313440  Fax: +44 (0) 1244 312422