Subject: FW: draft-ietf-mpls-lsr-mib-02.txt nits

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:01:50 -0000

Thanks, Tom.
 
That just about wraps it up from me.
 
I would have liked DiffServ to be there, but we can't expect you to wait for
every addition to the protocols.
 
Adrian
--
Adrian Farrel  mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Network Convergence Group
Data Connection Ltd., Chester, UK
http://www.datcon.co.uk/ <http://www.datcon.co.uk/> 
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 313440  Fax: +44 (0) 1244 312422

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:36:40 -0000

All,
There is some confusion about what an LSPID is.
This can be addressed with some suitable text in the MIB definitions.

I had assumed that the MIB fields for the LSR MIB and the LDP MIB were
referring to the two byte LSPID that can be combined with the source LSRID
to uniquely identify the LSP.

So, in CR-LDP, the LSP-ID TLV is
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0|0|      LSPID-TLV  (0x0821)  |      Length                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |       Reserved        |ActFlg |      Local CR-LSP ID          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       Ingress LSR Router ID                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
and the field we are talking about is CR-LSP ID

In RSVP, the Sender Template Object is
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                   IPv4 tunnel sender address                  |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |  MUST be zero                 |            LSP ID             |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
and the field we are talking about is LSP ID

In LDP, there is no concept of an LSPID.  The value in the MIB is an
arbitrary index.

This is your call, Tom.  If you are trying to include the full identifier of
the LSP to give it full uniqueness at this point then you need space for the
LSPID (two bytes) and one of 
- Ingress LSR Router ID (for CR-LDP) 4 bytes
- tunnel sender address (for RSVP) sizeof(IP_address)

Since RSVP technically has to handle IPv6, the largest size required is
2 + 16 = 18 (even I can do simple math!)

I guess this is what you were trying to cover when you set the max to 63
(and told me it allowed scope for an IPv6 address).  Sorry, I seem to have
led you astray.

Adrian
--
Adrian Farrel  mailto:[email-masked]
Network Convergence Group
Data Connection Ltd., Chester, UK
http://www.datcon.co.uk/
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 313440  Fax: +44 (0) 1244 312422