Subject: yet another revision of the charter

From: Vijay Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:06:43 -0800

Hi folks,

Here is another revision of the charter, based upon discussion at today's WG
meeting.  I have added the following objectives:
--
11. Specify standard protocols and procedures to enable header compression
across a single link as well as across an LSP.

12. Specify appropriate extensions to LDP and RSVP for authentication
of LSP originators.

13. Define requirements and standard protocols and procedures for policy
support in MPLS-based networks.  This work will be complementary to, and
will build upon, other policy-related work ongoing in the IETF.
--

We did not discuss milestones for the policy and authentication work.  Your
input on these would be appreciated.

Regards,
- Chairs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls) Charter

Problem Statement:

Label switching in conjunction with network layer routing has emerged
as an important new technology.  It is actively being applied to
applications such as traffic engineering and virtual private networks.
Among the problems this technology is expected to address are the
following:

1.  Greater flexibility in delivering routing services

Using labels to identify particular traffic which are to receive
special services, e.g. QoS.

Using labels to provide forwarding along an explicit path different
from the one constructed by destination-based forwarding.

2.  Scalability of network layer routing

Using labels as a means to aggregate forwarding information, while
working in the presence of routing hierarchies.

3.  Simplify integration of routers with cell switching based
technologies

a) making cell switches behave as peers to routers (thus reducing
the number of routing peers that a  router has to maintain),

b) by making information about physical topology available to
Network Layer routing procedures, and

c) by employing common addressing, routing, and management
procedures.

4.  Simplify integration of routers with time-division, wavelength
and spatial switching technologies

a) making time-division, wavelength and spatial switching devices
behave as peers to routers (thus reducing the number of routing peers
that a router has to maintain),

b) by making information about physical topology available to
Network Layer routing procedures, and

c) by employing common addressing, routing, and management
procedures.

High Level Requirements

1.  The solution should be general with respect to data link
technologies. Specific optimizations for particular media will be
considered.

2.  The solution must be compatible with existing internetwork
technologies and routing protocols.

3.  The solution should support a wide range of forwarding
granularities associated with a given label, from a single
application flow to a group of topologically related destinations.

4.  The solution should support operations, administration, and
maintenance facilities at least as extensive as those supported in
IP networks.

5.  The solution should provide stable routing.  The protocols defined
by MPLS must provide protocol mechanism(s) to either prevent the
formation of loops and/or contain the amount of (networking) resources
that could be consumed due to the presence of such loops.

6.  The solution should be very scalable.  Scalability issues will be
considered and analyzed.

Charter Statement:

The working group is responsible for standardizing a base technology
for using label switching in conjunction with network layer routing
and for the implementation of that technology over various link level
technologies, which may include Packet-over-Sonet, Frame Relay, ATM,
Ethernet (all forms, such as Gigabit Ethernet, etc.), Token Ring,...

This includes procedures and protocols for the distribution of labels
between routers, encapsulations, multicast considerations, and the use
of labels to support higher layer resource reservation and QoS
mechanisms.

The working group will extend the concept of label switching to encompass
time-division (e.g. SONET ADMs), wavelength (optical lambdas)
and spatial switching (e.g. incoming fiber to outgoing fiber).

Objectives:

1.  Specify standard protocol(s) for maintenance and distribution of
label binding information to support unicast destination-based
routing.

2.  Specify standard protocol(s) for maintenance and distribution of
label binding information to support multicast routing.

3.  Specify standard protocol(s) for maintenance and distribution of
label binding information to support hierarchy of routing knowledge
(e.g., complete segregation of intra and inter-domain routing).

4.  Specify standard protocol(s) for maintenance and distribution of
label binding information to support explicit paths in support of
applications such as Traffic Engineering.

5.  Specify standard protocols and procedures to support fast
MPLS-based recovery.

6.  Specify extensions to the protocols and procedures for
signaling and recovery to support time-division, wavelength and
spatial switching.

7.  Specify standard procedures of carrying label information over
various link level technologies.

8.  Define the support of Differentiated and Integrated Services,
including aggregated QoS, in an MPLS environment.

9.  Specify standard protocols and procedures to support operations,
administration, and maintenance facilities.

10. Specify a link management protocol for link provisioning and
fault isolation, to facilitate LSP recovery.

11. Specify standard protocols and procedures to enable header compression
across a single link as well as across an LSP.

12. Specify appropriate extensions to LDP and RSVP for authentication
of LSP originators.

13. Define requirements and standard protocols and procedures for policy
support in MPLS-based networks.  This work will be complementary to, and
will build upon, other policy-related work ongoing in the IETF.

Coordination:

The working group will coordinate its activities with other working
groups as appropriate.  For specific technologies, the WG will
cooperate with the appropriate standards bodies such as OIF, ITU-T,
ANSI, ODSI etc.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 00 - Produce a document which defines support of Differentiated
         Services (Diff-Serv) over Multi-Protocol Label Switching
         (MPLS) networks (Standards Track).

Aug 00 - Produce a document which defines operation with "classic" RSVP
         (i.e. non-TE RSVP) for unicast destinations. (Standards Track).

Aug 00 - Produce specifications for protocols and procedures that support
         fault recovery in an MPLS environment.

Dec 00 - Produce specifications for a MPLS control plane for time-division,
         wavelength and spatial switching (Standards Track).

Dec 00 - Produce specifications for a link management protocol for link
         provisioning and fault isolation (Standards Track).

Dec 00 - Produce specifications for header compression over LSPs

Dec 00 - Product specifications for header compression, including MPLS
         headers, over a link

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:07:22 +0300 (EEST)

> label binding information to support unicast destination-based

i guess the soft permanent lsps fit into this category?

-- juha

---

From: "David Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:56:28 -0500

A couple of queries about the new iems:

> Hi folks,
> Here is another revision of the charter, based upon discussion at
> today's WG meeting.  I have added the following objectives:
> --

> 12. Specify appropriate extensions to LDP and RSVP for authentication
In the case of RSVP, what, precisely, is missing? RSVP already has both
integrity objects for hop-by-hop authentication, and policy data objects
themselves containing integrity objects, for end-to-end authentication.

> will build upon, other policy-related work ongoing in the IETF.
This strikes me as both too nebulous and open-ended. What, precisely is
being proposed?

> --
> We did not discuss milestones for the policy and authentication
> work.  Your input on these would be appreciated.
> Regards,
> - Chairs