Subject: AIL - The MPLS Interoperability Lab Funded by UUNET

From: Bijan Jabbari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:19:39 -0500 (EST)

Dear Colleagues,

  On March 1, the Advanced Internet Laboratory (AIL) at George Mason
University (GMU) held its day-long technical meeting with its potential
sponsors in advance of its MPLS interoperability testing. The
participating companies were those who attended the December 1, 1999
sponsorship agreement meeting and consisted of major MPLS router vendors
and ISPs.

  The meeting included presentations and discussions of AIL's testing
methodology, detailed test plans and schedule. It is expected that AIL
will receive the MPLS capable equipment from its sponsors in the latter
part of March and begin the MPLS interoperability testing in early
April. The testing will be conducted on an on-going basis.

  The Advanced Internet Lab at GMU, Fairfax, VA (a suburb of Washington
DC) has been established and funded by a grant from UUNET
Technologies. Although the lab's objective is to establish a cohesive
program of research and possibly development on the Internet technology in
particular MPLS, the initial mission is to help foster the MPLS
interoperability among major router vendors, through the interoperability
testing. As you might know, in 1998, UUNET Technologies and GMU jointly
launched the first major MPLS Conference.

  For the past several months, AIL has been working with major vendors to
iron out the issues of intellectual property rights, non-disclosure
and confidentiality. As a result two documents have been prepared which
govern participation as sponsor of the Lab and a multilateral agreement
among all Lab participants.

  If your company is involved in MPLS service or product and you wish to
join this effort and become a sponsor of the lab, we will be pleased to
provide you with additional information.

  Regards,
  - Bijan

--------------------------------------
Bijan Jabbari, PhD
Advanced Internet Lab
George Mason University, Johnson Center, G10
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
Tel: +1 703.993.4705 (Direct)
Tel: +1 703.993.4700 (Assistant)
email: [email-masked]