Subject: Interaction between MPLS and optical switching

From: Florian-Daniel Otel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:28:12 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Sirs,

[I'm a newbie to the MPLS and optical switching fields so please
excuse any blatant misconceptions that I'm sure have sliped in :). 
Corrections are highly appreciated.]

While starting to catch up with relevant documents, if I understand
correctly:   
	-The main advantage of using MPLS over existing IP 
classifcation/forwarding technologies is that MPLS allows explicit
non-shortest path routing (i.e. traffic engineering).
	-The optical switching architecture is designed to work as an
overlay model w/ `classic` IP technologies.

In this case  doesn't the ability to use the underlying (optical
routing mechanisms) be a work around the traditional shortest-path
based IP routing mechanisms thus aleviating the need for MPLS (i.e. in 
the same way ATM VCs are used nowdays) ?

Can someone point me to some relevant documents that put the two
technologies in perspective ? I'm very intrested in any work
pertaining to MPLS-enabled networks on a optically switched
infrastructure. 

Many, many thanks

Florian-Daniel Otel