Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ip-optical-framework-00.txt

From: Hummel Heinrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:13:17 +0200

Does this discussion (overlay-, peer-model and the reference to IP over
ATM)  really meet
the relation between knowledgable LSRs and not so knowledgable OXCs?

Also: I assume, both LSRs as well as OXCs have the same types of addresses:
IPv4 and maybe IPv6 addresses.
This is different compared with IP over ATM where we have to deal with IP
addresses versus AESAs.
If the talk is about overlay model, is it a model which uses (at least) a
label stack of 2 labels ?

Heinrich Hummel
Siemens AG

> _______________________________________________
> IP-Optical mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/ip-optical

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 22:24:07 -0400

In message <DB74A4E69C7CD311B740006008136E0706C7D4@MCHH213E>, Hummel Heinrich w
> label stack of 2 labels ?

Talk of overlay is mainly in the context of framework but it may also
be handy in time to market products which may not be the ultimate in
traffic engineering masterpeices but if they work will prove useful.

If the framework and the work that the MPLS WG undertakes provides an
easy migration, we'll probably be better off.

Either way having some reasonably precise terms should make it easier
to discuss the problems and proposed solutions.

Curtis