Subject: Statically provisioned MPLS

From: "Frank Butler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:15:42 PDT

All:

Of the working MPLS implementations out there, is there support for 
connecting using statically provisioned LSP's?  And with no routing 
protocols, but only static routes?

In other words, what is the minimum for a first phase implementation that 
would allow interoperability with other MPLS implementations?

Thanks,
Frank.
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:22:50 -0400

> would allow interoperability with other MPLS implementations?

  The simplest thing to implement that would actually interwork would probably
be to do CR-LDP with ATM labels, and only as a tandem device that processes
strict ER hops. 

  Above and beyond the message PDU code (which you can take from the NortelNetworks/mpls
web site), you have to write all of a few thousand lines of code to get it up and 
running and some of that you can probably steal from the Linux implementations.

  Obviously a similar approach can be taken with RSVP-TE starting from a public
domain implementation. 

  Cheers,

  Peter