Subject: MPLS - ATM interworking?

From: "Andrzej Czerczak" <Andrzej_Czerczak/[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:35:33 +0200

Hi,

I  have 2 simple questions:
Assume following (very probably) scenario:
-customer router is connected to DSLAM and then to ATM edge switch (VC part
of connection), and then through MPLS cloud (LSP part of connection) to
other customer site.

1) is it possible, acc. to current MPLS specs to provide to customer SLA
report using ATM traffic parameters descriptor? What can be other proposals
for SLA reporting for customer?
2) just to mention, what about congestion indication (L2) from MPLS -> ATM
direction, as one of the actions performed in MPLS net?

Thanks for your comments.
Andrzej

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:08:19 -0700

Andrzej,

> for SLA reporting for customer?

There are scalable way to guarantee the delivery of packets in the mpls
network (guaranteed bandwith tunnels) but I don't think that descring
them with ATM traffic parameters is compatible.

> direction, as one of the actions performed in MPLS net?

Have you read draft MPLS Support of Differentiated Services
draft-ietf-mpls-diff-ext-04.txt where we are proposing to use the ECN
(explicit congestion notification) on a per LSP basis using the EXP bits
in the shim header ? Currently this is the most attractive option, but I
am not aware of any implementation support this today.

R.

> Andrzej Czerczak wrote: