Subject: Traceroute and MPLS

From: Chris Rapier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 16:40:03 -0400

At the risk of sounding like an idiot I was wondering if there has been
any thought on how to make traceroute work with mpls or add some path
tracing functionality to it. I ran across some old messages in various
archives but nothing that sounded really resolved. I've some ideas but I
wanted to find out what the current thinking on the subject is.

Thanks in advance

Chris Rapier
NLANR ES

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 16:54:22 -0400

Take a look at:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-01.txt

         The RRO object for RSVP also provides
some of the information you seek.

         --Tom

---

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 21:12:13 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Chris
> Rapier
> Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 4:40 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Traceroute and MPLS
>
>
> any thought on how to make traceroute work with mpls

See Section 2.4 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-07.txt.
Also see http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-01.txt.

or add some path
> tracing functionality to it.

Also see references to the RECORD_ROUTE object in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-05.txt.
(Especially Sections 2.2 and 4.4).

 I ran across some old messages in various