Subject: RE: MPLS and IS-IS

From: David Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:36:08 -0500

Hi all,

IS-IS is defined to work with CLNP not for IP originally. Until today a lot
of SONET and telecommunication equipment vendors still use IS-IS to route
CLNP packets through the SONET Data communication channel(DCC) to carry
management information and there is a great pressure to change this to OSPF
and IP. I also know that UUNET runs IS-IS on their network. I never heard
any other networks run IS-IS. Seems I am wrong. My questions are.

1. You guys are talking about using IS-IS in a IP networks not in CLNP
networks. The IS-IS has been modified according to RFC 1195 (Use of OSI
IS-IS for Routing in TCP/IP and Dual Environments) or some other standard.
Is this correct? 

2.  Besides UUNET, which ISPs run IS-IS protocol? Can you name a few? or
what percentage of networks run IS-IS instead of OSPF?

Thanks
David

-----Original Message-----
From: HANSEN CHAN [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 7:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi all,

I have been hearing IS-IS is a better protocol to be used than OSPF in a
MPLS
network for TE application. Is that a fair statement? What are the technical
reasons?

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks,
Hansen

---

From: Andrew Partan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:40:51 -0400 (EDT)

> what percentage of networks run IS-IS instead of OSPF?

UUNET, Sprint, ICM, Digex, Verio, MIBH.  There are more.
	[email-masked] (Andrew Partan)

---

From: "Martin Picard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:31:49 -0400

----- Message d'origine -----
De : "David Wang" <[email-masked]>
À : "'HANSEN CHAN'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Envoyé : 17 mai, 2000 13:36
Objet : RE: MPLS and IS-IS

> what percentage of networks run IS-IS instead of OSPF?

GlobalCenter uses IS-IS as described here
http://www.americasnetwork.com/issues/99issues/991115/991115_traffic.htm