Subject: Re: MPLS and IS-IS

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:08:56 -0400

> From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>

    >> I'd be interested in hearing someone compare the technical aspects of
    >> the *protocols*

    > Dave is actually discussing this at the upcoming NANOG.

Those not going to NANOG might be interested in seeing this online (and in
fact such an analysis would be a good thing to have as an online resource).
I know some NANOG material makes it online, but are there plans for Dave's
notes to be available?

	Noel

PS: Somwhere, covered by many layers of dust, I have at least two such
documents, one by Radia and one by me, dating from around the period of the
FSU IETF (whenever that was - probably '84 or so).

---

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

Urk, now I've got stage fright.  ;-)

I'll have a bunch of Powerpoint slides, most likely.  I'm sure that we
can come up with some way of making them available.

For what it's worth, the slant on my talk is going to be mostly from
an operational perspective ("Which protocol should I run?") so it will
be technical, but perhaps a little watered down relative to what a
scholarly treatise might contain.

--Dave

   Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:08:56 -0400
   From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
   Cc: [email-masked]
   Sender: [email-masked]
   Precedence: bulk

	   Noel

---

From: Lyman Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:54:05 -0400

>FSU IETF (whenever that was - probably '84 or so).

Noel,

Probably not '84, as the first IETF meeting took place in January 1986.

Radia's paper was published in IEEE Network (September 1991) - "A 
Comparison between Two Routing Protocols: OSPF and IS-IS."

The definitive comparison of OSPF and IS-IS, of course, is the 1991 
Interop debate between Radia and Milo Medin, which also featured Ross 
Callon and Dave Clark debating the merits, respectively, of 
"integrated" and "ships in the night" routing for the Internet.

Radia and Milo published their debate arguments in the October 1991 
number (5:10) of Ole Jacobsen's ConneXions - "The Great IGP Debate, 
Part I: IS-IS and Integrated Routing" by Radia, and "The Great IGP 
Debate, Part II: The Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) Routing 
Protocol" by Milo. I'm sure these are on the web somewhere.

- Lyman

---

From: "dave o'leary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:52:04 -0700

>    FSU IETF (whenever that was - probably '84 or so).

FSU was in 1990, one of the first ones I went to (and the first one hosted at
a SURAnet site after I started working there, so I really remember how bad
the connectivity was!).

There was also "the great IGP debate" between Milo and Radia (?) at
one of the early Interops, and they wrote accompanying pieces for
Connections, which might be on-line somewhere, or at least Ole
probably has electronic copies somewhere.

We're straying pretty far from the MPLS WG mailing list charter at
this point.

                                         dave