Subject: Network Simulator 2 (ns-2) modules for MPLS and CBQ

From: Florian-Daniel Otel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:59:04 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello all,

I've seen some references to label switching (MPLS?) and CBQ modules for
ns-2. Anyone can give me a pointer to them ? I didn't find anything
after a  quick look at ns homepage (http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/ns.html)

Regrads,

Florian.

---

From: "Taner OKUMUS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 12:20:21 -0400

check out the following website:

http://raonet.com/mns/english.html

> after a  quick look at ns homepage
(http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/ns.html)
> Florian.
regards;
taner

---

From: Ming Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 14:21:44 -0700

www.wandl.com

---

From: MPLS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 17:43:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,
We are trying to simulate a workmodel for handling QoS requests.

In this respect, are there any publicly available traces for real time
call requests that request bandwidth at the ISPs. 

If not, is there some study that says what is a feasible 
distribution for the following:
1. b/w requirement of a QoS call 
2. QoS call request arrival rate
3. QoS call duration

Most of the reserach work has been done using uniform ditsribution
for b/w requirement, poisson for arrival rate, and exponential for call
duration.
How close to the real life scenario are these assumptions.

Thanks in advance,

Gargi Banerjee

---

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 08:56:19 -0400

> How close to the real life scenario are these assumptions.

  I'm not aware of a source of the data you are looking for however I'd
warn you against using any of the nice clean models like poisson etc.
You may be able to extrapolate from some existing ATM networks as a 
starting point.

  The rate that LSPs arrive, depart and how long they hold will depend
on the applications using them and we cannot easily predict what applications
will tend to do with them. Initially you will see REALLY long hold times
but these will come down in time as more and more uses for LSPs evolve.

  My gut feeling is that LSPs will eventually have behavior like data only
at a slower rate. I.e. chaotic, bursty etc.

  Cheers,

  Peter