Subject: FW: MPLS and IS-IS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:47:59 -0500

David - 

Most large ISPs in the US use ISIS:

UUnet, C&W, Sprintlink, Qwest, Verio, Digex, Frontier, Broadwing.

It also seems like more and more european ISPs are starting to use ISIS:
EUnet, Ebone, Hermes, TeleDanMark, Renater (FT), Telia, Tele2, etc.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: David Wang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 12:36 PM
To: 'HANSEN CHAN'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi all,

IS-IS is defined to work with CLNP not for IP originally. Until today a lot
of SONET and telecommunication equipment vendors still use IS-IS to route
CLNP packets through the SONET Data communication channel(DCC) to carry
management information and there is a great pressure to change this to OSPF
and IP. I also know that UUNET runs IS-IS on their network. I never heard
any other networks run IS-IS. Seems I am wrong. My questions are.

1. You guys are talking about using IS-IS in a IP networks not in CLNP
networks. The IS-IS has been modified according to RFC 1195 (Use of OSI
IS-IS for Routing in TCP/IP and Dual Environments) or some other standard.
Is this correct? 

2.  Besides UUNET, which ISPs run IS-IS protocol? Can you name a few? or
what percentage of networks run IS-IS instead of OSPF?

Thanks
David

-----Original Message-----
From: HANSEN CHAN [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 7:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi all,

I have been hearing IS-IS is a better protocol to be used than OSPF in a
MPLS
network for TE application. Is that a fair statement? What are the technical
reasons?

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks,
Hansen

---

From: Yangguang Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:16:22 -0400

> EUnet, Ebone, Hermes, TeleDanMark, Renater (FT), Telia, Tele2, etc.

Do they "only" use IS-IS for IGP, or IS-IS and OSPF together?

Thanks,

Yangguang

---

From: Dave Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:24:36 +0000

We (frontier/gctr/gblx) use ISIS w/ wide tlvs for MPLS TE support.

-dave

-dave

---

From: Dorian Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:29:03 -0400

> Do they "only" use IS-IS for IGP, or IS-IS and OSPF together?

Most only use ISIS for IGP, but some use both. In cases that I've
seen where both is used, ISIS is used as backbone IGP, while OSPF
is used to refine next hop info from aggregation devices, most often
within a single POP.

-dorian