Subject: TEWG framework updates / MPLS-TE drafts

From: Florian-Daniel Otel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 01:22:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Sirs,

Even though that (AFAIG) there is a new version of the framework
document pending to be released i want to ask about some references
that seem to become unvalid since draft-ietf-tewg-framework-00.txt:

   [Li-IGP] T. Li, G. Swallow, and D. Awduche, "IGP Requirements for
   Traffic Engineering with MPLS," Work in Progress, 1999

   [MATE] I. Widjaja and A. Elwalid, "MATE: MPLS Adaptive Traffic
   Engineering," Work in Progress, 1999.

There are a few others but about this two especially I'm wondering if
these two above survived in some form.

With kind regards,

Florian.

---

From: "Philip Matthews" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 07:47:19 -0400

A good site to check for internet-drafts related to MPLS is
    http://infonet.aist-nara.ac.jp/member/nori-d/mlr/
This site archives drafts going back the the beginings
of the MPLS WG, as well as related drafts.

Both of the drafts you are looking for are available there.

- Philip

---

From: Florian-Daniel Otel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:20:50 +0200 (MET DST)

> Both of the drafts you are looking for are available there.

Found the site in the mean time (that draft is also on Dan Awduche web 
site too) but thanks a lot. Also i was implictly asking  about the updated
version (i.e. draft-li-mpls-igp-te-01.txt). 

Anyway, that was not the main intention (and i appologize for not
making it clear from the first posting):  What I was primarily
intrested in  was about the  continuation of these drafts i.e. were they
dropped (if so why ? was there a discussion about this ? where ?
archives ?) , there was no interest in them,  there is an update
planned, they advanced on IETF track, etc. ?  

Thanks,

Florian.

---

From: "Philip Matthews" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:35:14 -0400

> planned, they advanced on IETF track, etc. ?

There are drafts that specify in detail the information to be carried
in OSPF and IS-IS for TE purposes. They can be found at the above
website.

The other questions about the drafts I will leave to the respective
authors.

- Philip

---

From: "Indra.Widjaja" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 20:29:04 -0400

Hi Florian:

As to the MATE draft, it's still incomplete and waiting for new results.
The most critical and difficult aspect of any adaptive load balancing
is to ensure the stability of the network and be simultaneously responsive.
It's not clear if adaptive load balancing (operating in a relatively short
time scale) in general is ready for prime time yet.

indra

---

From: Daniel Awduche <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 04:54:59 -0400

Regarding draft-li-mpls-igp-te-00.txt, this work was presented 
at the MPLS WG meeting in March, 1999 (44th IETF, Minneapolis, MN).

At that time, the TEWG did not exist, however discussions/negotiations
to establish it were already in progress.

The consensus at the MPLS WG meeting was that
draft-li-mpls-igp-te-00.txt rightly belongs to the TEWG, when 
the new WG becomes operational.

Essentially, draft-li-mpls-igp-te-00.txt ("IGP Requirements for
Traffic Engineering with MPLS") describes the 'functional
requirements' for a conventional IGP to support Traffic
Engineering. Two complementary drafts detail the protocol extensions
needed to address these functional requirements. These are (1)
D. Katz, D. Yeung, "Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF"
and (2) H. Smit and T. Li, "IS-IS extensions for Traffic
Engineering."

Implementations based on these specifications are currently shipping
are being deployed, even though the supporting documents are still in
draft form.

Back to the question, draft-li-mpls-igp-te-00.txt has expired 
and the -01- version does not exist, but we can certainly update 
and re-issue it if there's sufficient WG interest.

Cheers,
/Dan