Subject: RE: MPLS and IS-IS

From: David Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:56:20 -0500

Hi All,

I need to learn some basics of IS-IS. I checked amazon.com, cl.com (San Jose
Computer literature book store), bookpool.com and several other technology
bookstores. To my great surprise I couldn't find any book about IS-IS. I
couldn't find any tutorial or white paper about the IS-IS protocol on the
Internet either. All I can read is the 10 years old RFC 1142 and RFC 1195.

1. When IS-IS protocol is used to route IP packet only, what kind of lay 3
protocol the IS-IS routers use to communicate link state information (the
link state advertisements) and other protocol related information, IP or
CLNP? What is the encapsulation format of these packets. What the standard
specify and what people actually implement?  

2. Can someone recommend me a book, a white paper or some tutorials so I may
get started quicker.

Thanks for your help.
David

-----Original Message-----
From: HANSEN CHAN [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 7:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi all,

I have been hearing IS-IS is a better protocol to be used than OSPF in a
MPLS
network for TE application. Is that a fair statement? What are the technical
reasons?

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks,
Hansen

---

From: "Larry G. Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:17:29 -0400

> Internet either. All I can read is the 10 years old RFC 1142 and RFC 1195.

CCIE Professional Development: Routing TCP/IP Volume 1
Jeff Doyle 
ISBN 1-57870-041-8

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578700418/qid%3D961431340/002-4201853-0159269

-- 
Larry G. Moore
Global Crossing NCC
800-414-5028
[email-masked]