Subject: RE: MPLS and IS-IS

From: Irwin Lazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:44:37 -0600

See: 
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/osi_rout.htm for an
OSI primer.

and

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/113ed_cr/n
p1_c/1cisis.htm
for configuration information.

Also see my web site at http://www.itprc.com/ for more IP routing
information.

Irwin

-----Original Message-----
From: David Wang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 11:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi All,

I need to learn some basics of IS-IS. I checked amazon.com, cl.com (San Jose
Computer literature book store), bookpool.com and several other technology
bookstores. To my great surprise I couldn't find any book about IS-IS. I
couldn't find any tutorial or white paper about the IS-IS protocol on the
Internet either. All I can read is the 10 years old RFC 1142 and RFC 1195.

1. When IS-IS protocol is used to route IP packet only, what kind of lay 3
protocol the IS-IS routers use to communicate link state information (the
link state advertisements) and other protocol related information, IP or
CLNP? What is the encapsulation format of these packets. What the standard
specify and what people actually implement?  

2. Can someone recommend me a book, a white paper or some tutorials so I may
get started quicker.

Thanks for your help.
David

-----Original Message-----
From: HANSEN CHAN [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 7:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi all,

I have been hearing IS-IS is a better protocol to be used than OSPF in a
MPLS
network for TE application. Is that a fair statement? What are the technical
reasons?

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks,
Hansen

---

From: Chris Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:56:26 -0400

Hi-
Check out:

Perlman, Radia, "Interconnections Second Edition", Addison-Wesley, 2000

Retana, et al, "Advanced IP Network Design", Cisco Press, 1999

Cheers ...

>Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Chris Metz
Lead IP Architect
Solutions Integration
Service Provider Line of Business
Cisco Systems
email: [email-masked]
offic phone: 408-525-3275
home office: 914-241-0423
pager: 800-365-4578
Internal URL: http://wwwin-people.cisco.com/chmetz/chmetz.htm