Subject: MPLS testing procedures

From: Cesar Olvera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:54:20 -0600

I am working in the MPLS at UNAM Research Group, a National Autonomous 
Universtity of Mexico (UNAM) Working Group formed to discuss issues 
related to MPLS.

Are there some testing procedures for both conformance and 
interoperability on MPLS?. 

Thanks

Cesar Olvera
Interoperability Lab Manager
Networks Subdirection, Telecommunications Direction
DGSCA-UNAM
MEXICO

---

From: [email-masked] (David Wilder)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:08:33 -0400 (EDT)

Cesar,

The best place to start would be at the UNH web site @ www.iol.unh.com.
They wrote MPLS interoperability test plans for LDP, CRLDP and RSVP.

In addition, I think it is time to look into forming an MPLS Test
sub-group like the one created under the ATM Forum.

Dave

---

From: Rob Blais <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:35:25 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Dave, but it's www.iol.unh.edu.  I'd be making a lot more money
if it were a .com.  :)

Our LDP interoperability test suite is about 85-90% complete and should
be on the website soon.  Others will follow for RSVP-TE, CR-LDP, BGP4-TE,
IS-IS-TE, and whatever else comes down the line, as we get them finished.
We've also started some preliminary work on conformance tests, but those
typically have to wait until there is a finished specification or at least
a stable RFC.  It's very difficult to demonstrate conformance to drafts that
change every few weeks. 

[soapbox]
We welcome any and all public comment and encourage all other testing
facilities to make their test suites available for public comment, as well.
As with standards, the only way to ensure that the tests are consistent
and complete is to make them open.  Our intent is to submit ours as
contributions to the MPLS Forum and any other applicable organization
once they are in a more stable and complete state. 
[/soapbox]

/rob

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Blais                  [email-masked]          "The Internet?
MPLS Consortium Manager    Phone: 603-862-4569       Is that thing
ATM Operations Manager     Fax:   603-862-4181       still around?"
UNH InterOperability Lab   http://www.iol.unh.edu/   -Homer Simpson

---

From: Rajiv Papneja <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Cesar,

  The Advanced Internet Lab (AIL) at George Mason University was
formed by an initial research grant from UUNET Technologies which
provided funding to undertake construction of this state-of-the-art
laboratory.  The laboratory provides an independent testing and
research facility for emerging and novel technology products. 
Currently, AIL encompasses activities related to multivendor
interoperability testing for implementation of advanced
features in MPLS and other IP technologies.  Also, it brings together
networking equipment suppliers, ISPs, and relevant entities to help
shape and propel this industry.

  AIL's comprehensive interoperability testing program is currently
focussed on MPLS and is developed from the "AIL MPLS core capability
set" derived from copious input from the industry.  The program includes
test plans for:
 
      1) Traffic Engineering over MPLS
      2) LDP
      3) RSVP-TE
      4) CR-LDP
      5) IS-IS (including TE extensions)
      6) OSPF  (including TE extensions)
      7) BGP-4/MPLS
      8) ATM-LSRs
      9) Other requirement driven specific tests.

  The test plans noted above are ready and documented, but because of
binding the test plans noted above are ready and documented, but because
of binding Non-Disclosure agreements with the sponsors of the lab, the
plans are not available for public review.  However, the precedent AIL
core capability set will be available on our homepage in the near future.

  Sponsors of the lab include major router vendors, ISPs and test
equipment manufacturers.

  For further information regarding the functioning and sponsorship of the
Advanced Internet Lab, please visit our web site at http://ail.gmu.edu/.  

  Regards

  Rajiv Papneja

> Networks Subdirection, Telecommunications Direction

********************************
Rajiv Papneja (GRA)
Advanced Internet Laboratory
George Mason University,
G10, Johnson Center,
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
Tel: 703.993.4700
email: [email-masked]
********************************