Subject: RE: parameter QoS in mpls network

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:27:24 -0700

If you are talking about per-LSP BW reservation, I don't consider that an
MPLS QoS. This QoS is essentially either per-flow Intserv QoS, or
per-flow-signaled aggregate Diffserv QoS.

In other words MPLS signaling (RSVP-TE, CR-LDP) gives you the ability to
signal BW, but there are other protocol layers that provide the QoS, not
MPLS. In other words MPLS in orthogonal to QoS but it facilitates providing
QoS.

-Shahram

>-----Original Message-----
>From: From MountIsland With Love [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 11:05 AM
>To: Shahram Davari
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: parameter QoS in mpls network
>
>
>but what about committed access rate (car) or WFQ
>are there the parameter QoS in mpls???
>thanks
>
>                         --------------------------
>                          KEEP PATIENT AND SILENT
>                        TRUST YOURSELF IN EVERYTHING
>                       -------------------------------          
>                        
>                        Bandung Institut of Technology         
>                              
>                                 
>
>On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Shahram Davari wrote:
>
>> MPLS is a forwarding layer and is independent of QoS. So 
>there is no MPLS
>> QoS parameter. 
>> 
>> -Shahram
>> 
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >From: From MountIsland With Love [mailto:[email-masked]]
>> >Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 9:35 AM
>> >To: [email-masked]
>> >Subject: parameter QoS in mpls network
>> >
>> >
>> >Hei dear...
>> >can you tell me how many parameter of Quality of Service (QoS)
>> >in the mpls networks
>> >And where I can get the algorithm of the parameter QoS in mpls
>> >That's very important to me because right now I am studying the QoS 
>> >in mpls networks for my research
>> >
>> >thanks you
>> > 
>> >
>> >                         --------------------------
>> >                          KEEP PATIENT AND SILENT
>> >                        TRUST YOURSELF IN EVERYTHING
>> >                       -------------------------------          
>> >                        
>> >                        Bandung Institut of Technology         
>> >                              
>> >                                 
>> >
>> 
>

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:22:00 -0400

In message <[email-masked]
> MPLS. In other words MPLS in orthogonal to QoS but it facilitates providing

Shahram,

You are making very strong statements regarding features that you
claim that MPLS doesn't have.

MPLS TE, using draft-ietf-mpls-diff-ext-05.txt, provides a means to
signal traffic classifications that will later be applied on an MPLS
label and EXP basis to traffic.  The selection of PHB allows the
network operator to map aggregates of traffic identified by label and
EXP when classified as MPLS, into separate queues (for each BA, not
for each MPLS flow, unless a separate PSC value per flow is used).

At the ingress traffic can be classified by any means already defined
for IP (or whatever L3 is used, if not IP).  For IP this is expeced to
usually include DSCP, and may also include ingress interface or
ingress virtual interface.  In principle filters based on IP addresses
and port numbers or per microflow RSVP can be used on the ingress can
be used for classification, though classification at this fine a
granularity is expected to occur close to the edges of major networks
(if at all) and not in major backbones.

The traffic classification at ingress is used to select the tunnel
that provides the appropriate QoS.

The bandwidth reservation amounts allow such things as queue weights
to be set.  The aggregation of tunnels within tunnels allows the sum
of bandwidth within an outer tunnel to be reflected in the reservation
for the outer tunnel.

Although so far bandwidths on MPLS tunnels have been based on
configured values based on historic data, bandwidths could also be set
based on (filtered) measurements of traffic.

The statement that MPLS is orthogonal to QoS is simply not true.

Curtis

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:15:41 -0400

Curtis writes:

> <snip>

Curtis,

I can't understand why you have a problem with what Shahram says. As
you know, there are three distinct aspects relevant to QoS
provisioning:

1. Signaling for QoS (on per packet, or per traffic aggregate basis)
2. Packet queueing and Scheduling to Provide QoS (the services are
actually provided at the IS)
3. Provisioning paths capable of providing needed QoS ( a: Routing
with TE support + b: Path signaling)

MPLS only does part (b) of 3. Steps 1 and 2 are done by Diff-Serv
specs (though signaling of 1 is also re-mapped, and joined with 3(b)
in mpls diff-serv draft). I think that's what Shahram was saying.

Cheers,

--brijesh
Ennovate Networks Inc.