Subject: Need for RRO Object in the Error Mesg.

From: ARUMUGAM R <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:30:36 +0530

Hi,
This message is regarding to the need of RRO object in the PathErr message 
& ResvErr Mesg if the size of the RRO exceeds the Maximum MTU.
Is it not enough to send the error message alone to the Ingress of the 
tunnel to get it removed?
Is there any specific requirement for sending the RRO with the massage?
Whether the Ingress of the tunnel makes use of that RRO in the Error 
message?
If it didn't , isn't a overhead of adding the RRO?
Suppose if i receive a ErrorSpec with ErrorSpec Code as RRO Notify and if i 
didn't get a RRO with it?, do i drop the message or continue forwarding to 
the Ingress of the Tunnel.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Aru
------------------------------------------------------------------------  
--------
Arumugam R
Senior Software Engineer,
Future Software Pvt Ltd.
Chennai - 35
Fone-4330550 Extn-332
------------------------------------------------------------------------  
--------

---

From: Markus Jork <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:53:53 -0400

[email-masked] said:
> This message is regarding to the need of RRO object in the PathErr
> message  & ResvErr Mesg if the size of the RRO exceeds the Maximum
> MTU. Is it not enough to send the error message alone to the Ingress
> of the  tunnel to get it removed? 

I also don't see much value in including the RRO object in the
error message and think this requirement should be removed from
the spec.
In addition, this part of the spec conflicts with section 3 and
section 4.4 of the same spec (draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-05)
which say that an RRO is only included in Path and Resv messages.

Markus

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:41:20 -0400

> which say that an RRO is only included in Path and Resv messages.

Seems that a number of folks would like to see this disappear.  Does
anyone want to argue for keeping it?  If not I'll remove it from the
next rev (which will be out before the cut-off).

...George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824