Subject: draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt (TE & QoS Methods for IP-,ATM-,& TDM-Based Multiservice Networks)

From: "Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), ALCOO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:05:47 -0400

PDF files (with figures) for draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt (TE & QoS
Methods for IP-,ATM-,& TDM-Based Multiservice Networks) can be located at:
http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/jerry/

The draft has quite a few additions compared to the 00 version, which
include
o in ANNEX 2 compare network performance with no-TE methods vs. various TE
methods 
o in ANNEX 2 provide more description of event-dependent (EDR) TE methods
(in support of the
   TE Framework Draft)
o added ANNEX 5 "Dynamic Traffic Routing" (DTR) to illustrate
   -  IP over optical (IPO) trends
   -  layer 1-3 routing/TE inter-relationships and interactions
   -  advantages of  DTR/IPO in terms of network performance, reliability,
and efficiency
o in ANNEX 6 "Capacity Management Methods" added more design comparisons 
   -  single-area flat network vs. multi-area 2-level hierarchical design
   -  fixed-transport-routing vs. dynamic-transport-routing design
   -  separate voice/ISDN design + separate data design vs. integrated
voice/ISDN & data design
o added Conclusions/Recommendations Sections to MAIN draft and ANNEXes to
highlight 
   the BCP recommendations suggested by the draft

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Jerry Ash
----------------------------------------------------
Gerald R. (Jerry) Ash
AT&T Labs
Middletown, NJ, USA
[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------

     To: IETF-Announce: ; 
     Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt 
     From: [email-masked] 
     Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:32:50 -0400 
     Reply-to: [email-masked] 
     Sender: [email-masked] 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Traffic Engineering & QoS Methods for IP-,ATM-,& 
                          TDMased Multiservice Networks
        Author(s)       : G. Ash
        Filename        : draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt
        Pages           : 10
        Date            : 07-Jul-00
        
The draft describes, analyzes, and recommends traffic engineering (TE)
methods which control a network's response to traffic demands and other
stimuli, such as link failures or node failures.  These TE methods include:
*traffic management through control of routing functions, which
include call routing (number/name translation to routing address),
connection routing, QoS resource management, routing table management, and
dynamic transport routing.
*capacity management through control of network design.
*TE operational requirements for traffic management and capacity
management, including forecasting, performance monitoring, and short-term
network adjustment.
These TE methods are recommended for application across network types based
on established practice and experience.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-te-qos-routing-01.txt".
        
NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.