Subject: FYI: draft-bala-mpls-optical-uni-signaling-00.txt

From: Bala Rajagopalan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:46:57 -0400

The following draft has been submitted to internet-drafts.

Name: Signaling Requirements at the Optical UNI

URL: http://homepages.infoseek.com/~balarajagopalan/unidraft.txt

Abstract:

This draft considers the optical network service model referred
   to as the "domain services" model [1]. Under this model, the optical
   network provides a set of well-defined services to clients (IP and
   others). The signaling and routing interface between the client and
   optical networks is referred to as the User-Network Interface (UNI).
   This draft describes the services provided over the UNI, and the
   requirements on any signaling protocol used to invoke the services.

   This draft reflects ongoing work at the Optical Interworking Forum
   (OIF) and the Optical Domain Service Interconnect (ODSI) coalition
   on the optical UNI [2]. The relevance of this draft to the IETF is
   two-fold.  First, for the signaling portion of the optical UNI,
   extensions of two MPLS signaling protocols are presently under
   consideration in the OIF: RSVP with TE extensions and LDP. The
   objective of this draft is to guide the adaptation of these
   protocols for UNI signaling. Second, to harmonize the signaling of
   UNI originated lightpath requests and peer model lightpath
   establishment mechanisms [1], alignment between OIF, ODSI and IETF
   lightpath parameters and signaling functionality is desirable. This
   draft aims to serve this purpose. The content of this draft is
   expected to evolve as work progresses on the optical UNI.

--

Bala Rajagopalan
Tellium, Inc.
2 Crescent Place
P.O. Box 901
Oceanport, NJ 07757-0901
Tel: (732) 923-4237
Fax: (732) 923-9804
Email: [email-masked]