Subject: Hop by hop driven LSP's

From: Abhijit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:42:09 +0530 (IST)

Hi all, 

In the hop by hop driven LSP establishment, if there are very large
number of prefix entries in the routing table, the label exchange for each
prefix will involve a lot of control overhead. Is there a way to reduce
this contol traffic? 

-abhijit

---

From: Alok Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:11:24 +0530 (IST)

Hi abhijeet,

> prefix will involve a lot of control overhead. Is there a way to reduce

I think each and every LSR in the MPLS domain has to bind and distribute
label for each prefix that appears in the roting table. 'control overhead' 
you are talking about is applicable to the number of sessions a LSR is
maintaining with the peer LSR's. Once the sessions are established,
and initial distribution of labels are done  the LSRs will need to
communicate only the changes and updates to peers. 

I don't really know whether there are any methods to reduce this control
traffic and even if we do something whether it will be healthy for
efficient working of MPLS.
regards,
alok