Subject: Proposal for structuring control plane work in the Routing area

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:01:23 -0400

Goal: divide the work in a way that
• gets the overall control plane architecture defined so that the existing
functions performed by MPLS are covered, but also the hot new functions like
– restoration, link characterization, disjoint path computation, etc.
	are done in a way that is generic across layer 1/2 technologies.
• home for application of MPLS to protocols other than IP
• keeps MPLS focused on existing protocol work and MPLS-specific methods of
accomplishing the functions of the control plane architecture
• gets IPO focused on optical-specific issues, such as encapsulation, MIBS,
and the applica-tion of control plane functions to optical networks
More...
• focuses TE on
–  the operational aspects of how to do traffic engineering,
– the requirements on the control plane architecture and the protocols, and
– the emerging requirements for coordinated traffic engineering across
service provider boundaries.
Proposal
• we initiate a group in the Routing Area to undertake to document the
control plane architecture, stating with the existing MPLS architecture
document plus the proposed extensions in the areas of restoration, link
management, and routing as a starting point.
– The initial specific milestone is single architecure RFC for the Layer
2.5/3 control plane for core networks.
– The current routing AD's would co-chair this WG.
• Work effort will also consider application of MPLS to protocols other than
IP
For Routing Area Meeting
Worster	draft-worster-mpls-in-ip-00.txt
 Rekhter	draft-rekhter-mpls-over-gre-00.txt
 Sharma	draft-makam-mpls-recovery-frmwrk-01.txt
 Mo		draft-mo-mpls-protection-00.txt
 Martini	draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-01.txt
 Malis		draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-00.txt
 Kankkunen	draft-kankkunen-vompls-fw-01.txt

• This obviously need lots of work and has many un-answered questions, but
that's our proposed starting point.