Subject: FW: in-segment/out-segment status?

From: "Paul Tasillo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:28:23 -0400

Can someone expain the reasoning behind removing the admin/oper status from
the in-segment/out-segment tables in the recent draft of the "MPLS Label
Switch Router Management Information Base Using SMIv2"? It would seem that
with only status information in the XC table, the granilarity of LSP
control/managment very coarse. If you wanted to shut off a LSP between two
LSRs, you would set the appropriate XC table value to admin down, but if
anyother LSP shared this XC table entry then it would also be shut off. I
had thought (perhaps incorrectly) that people might want to know the hop by
hop status of LSP and that the status of a given LSP between two LSRs Ra and
Rb would depend on the oper/admin status of the out-segment table entry on
Ra and the in-segment table entry on Rb. Granted as a whole the LSP won't
function unless the XC table entries are also 'up', but hop-by-hop basis the
status seems dependant on the status information tied to the ends of the
segments (in/out).

Thanks in advance,

Paul Tasillo
Tivoli Systems

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:01:28 -0400

Hi Paul,

>Switch Router Management Information Base Using SMIv2"?

         These were removed primarily because of requests from
the WG during the two last call periods. The reasoning was that
they were not very useful.

         --Tom