Subject: RE: Consensus on compression - draft-ietf-mpls-hdr-comp-00.txt

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:39:47 -0700

Lou,

> [...]
> 
> PS The "-simple" approach is a totally new one.  This is 
> appropriate as 
> draft-ietf-mpls-hdr-comp- and the 2507/8 are "one-hop" based, while 
> "-simple" is multi-hop.

Hmmm.  I think there is plenty of work afoot that
leans toward treating an LSP as one hop.  Indeed,
part of the issue with your approach is the fact
that "one-hop" is a bit of a stretchy notion...

> [...]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:57:41 +0100

> that "one-hop" is a bit of a stretchy notion...
	[Harrison,N,Neil,INC1 X]  I have no question in my mind that an LSP
is '1-hop'.  This is an obvious client/server layer relationship.  In a more
strict architectural sense "a client layer link = server layer
trail".......this is indeed how one builds the topology of a client layer
network from a server layer.  This relationship recurses across all layers,
starting from the 'duct'.  Failure to appreciate (and adhere) to this
fundamental principle will cause all sorts of downstream problems....many of
which I have already observed cropping up in several areas such as DiffServ
and the notion of a single control-plane across all layers (but the details
are not for discussion here).