Subject: New LDP Fault Tolerance Draft

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:46:58 +0100

We have just sent draft-brittain-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt for publication.

This draft merges the two approaches for LDP and CR-LDP fault tolerance that
were discussed at Adelaide, and replaces draft-farrel-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt and
draft-matthews-mpls-ldp-ibb-00.txt.  

For those of you who can't wait, the draft is also available for download
from http://www.datcon.co.uk/download/draft-brittain-mpls-ldp-ft-00.txt.

Discussion is very much welcomed.

The abstract of this draft is as follows: 

==========================
Abstract

   MPLS systems will be used in core networks where system downtime 
   must be kept to an absolute minimum.  Many MPLS LSRs may, therefore, 
   exploit Fault Tolerant (FT) hardware or software to provide 
   high-availability of the core networks.  
   
   The details of how FT is achieved for the various components of an FT 
   LSR, including LDP, CR-LDP, the switching hardware and TCP, are 
   implementation specific.  This document identifies issues in the 
   CR-LDP specification [2] and the LDP specification [4] that make it 
   difficult to implement an FT LSR using the current LDP and CR-LDP 
   protocols, and proposes enhancements to the LDP specification to ease 
   such FT LSR implementations.  
   
   The extensions described here are equally applicable to CR-LDP.

--
Adrian Farrel  mailto:[email-masked]
Network Convergence Group
Data Connection Ltd., Chester, UK
http://www.datcon.co.uk/
Tel: +44 (0) 1244 313440  Fax: +44 (0) 1244 312422