Subject: RE: MPLS stuff

From: "Banerjee, Gargi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:42:36 -0400

Hi,

The folllowing sites have useful information on MPLS:

1. http://www.mplsrc.com/
2. http://infonet.aist-nara.ac.jp/member/nori-d/mlr/

Also let me try to answer your question on RSVP and LDP. These are both
signaling approaches for setting up label switched paths or LSPs. 

1. RSVP is a soft-state receiver oriented approach. The original protocol
runs over UDP and could reserve resources for a session, along a path from
the receiver to the sender. This usually required session state to be stored
in each intermediate RSVP-capable router. 

Using RSVP as the signaling protocol for MPLS has the advantage that you can
take advantage of the reservation procedure in RSVP and extend it
[http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-06.t
xt] to work also as a label distribution protocol in MPLS.

2. LDP is only a label distribution protocol and has no reservation
functions. However CR-LDP is an extension to LDP
[http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-cr-ldp-04.txt] which
supports reservation of resources, explicit path signaling etc.

3. Thus functionality wise both CR-LDP and RSVP are quite similar-though in
operational aspects they may be very diffrent. 

4. Normally, you would choose one or the other as your signaling protocol in
MPLS.  

Hope this helps,
Gargi

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramanjaneyulu Y T [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 2:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS stuff

Hi,

  one more question. Is there any other source to find MPLS related
documents other than the following one.  

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mpls-charter.html

    If so please suggest URLs . 
                  Thanking you

                                         Regards
                                        Ramanjaneyulu Y.T. 
 
 " A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks
 out."
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 
Y.T.RAMANJANEYULU                        |   My other mail Ids:
E-70,INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE         |         [email-masked]
BANGALORE - 560012                       |         [email-masked]
PH: 0091 - 080 - 3092622 ( HOSTEL )      |
    0091 - 080 - 3092906 ( LAB )         |
                   visit my home page:www2.csa.iisc.ernet.in/~ytr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----