Subject: Re: Policy Information Model for MPLS Traffic Engineering

From: Namita Sinha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

Is there going to at least be some discussion of this
issue at the mpls wg meeting in Pittsburgh?

I'm just concerned that if this work disappears into
the policy wg, we (i.e. the mpls wg) will not be
actively influencing this work and surely we need to
buy in to any information model for MPLS TE.

Thanks
Namita

------Original Message------
From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
To: Ritu Chadha <[email-masked]>
Sent: July 18, 2000 4:24:37 PM GMT
Subject: Re: Policy Information Model for MPLS Traffic Engineering

Ritu -

> George Swallow stated that policy and MPLS are two things
> that have a lot in common and therefore was worth working on.

There's a problem with sound bites.  I also said that I didn't think
the work belonged in MPLS.

> The consensus in the WG seemed to be that contributions in
> this area should be brought to the MPLS WG.

I didn't agree with this consensus because the request was too general
and thus overlaps with other work groups.  Though our revised charter
is still being worked out with the IESG, there will be no general
policy item in it.  If specific items are needed in RSVP, LDP and
CR-LDP to glue things together, these are appropriate.

Given that the MPLS agenda is tight, I would like both

draft-chadha-policy-mpls-te-00.txt
draft-isoyama-policy-mpls-info-model-00.txt

present only in the policy wg.

....George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
250 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824

-----------------------------------------------
FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:29:02 -0400

> buy in to any information model for MPLS TE.

If you're looking for a more focused group on this, I would suggest
starting with the TE WG.  Seems to me the requirements for policy
should be driven from the application side, not the base technology.  

...George