Subject: Re: IGPs for MPLS

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:48:34 -0700

Jen,

Non of the today's IGPs has been changed for MPLS even a bit. The only
changes which were done to link state IGPs were to extend OSPF & ISIS to
transport the traffic engineering related information for MPLS-TE
application.

If you are using other MPLS application then traffic eng. you can use
any IGP you like: link state or distance vector as the prefix based
labels are disctributed by LDP.

R.

> Jen Battle wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I am trying to figure out how the IGPs (IS-IS and OSPF) have been changed for MPLS.  I assume there have been extensions for these standards to make them more MPLS friendly but I am unable to find any documentation.
> 
> The IGPs seem to have a flat hierarchy which is contrary to the edge/core mentality of MPLS.  Has this been altered for MPLS?  How are these protocols actually run over MPLS networks?
> 
> Thanks,
> Jen
> [email-masked]

---

From: Jen Battle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:46:30 -0700

Hi,

Thanks,
Jen
[email-masked]