Subject: Flooding optimization ID

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 16:15:52 -0700

Folks,

  Speaking about OXC-based networks, link bundling, etc., the draft
  below may be interesting. I was submitted to the directories, but
  hasn't shown up so far.

  http://www.employees.org/~azinin/draft-ietf-zinin-flood-opt-00.txt

  Authors: Alex Zinin, Mike Shand.

  Abstract:

   The flooding algorithm is one of the most important parts of any link
   state routing protocol. It ensures that all routers within a link
   state domain converge on the same topological information within a
   finite period of time. To ensure reliability, typical implementations
   of the flooding algorithm send new information via all interfaces
   other than the one the new piece of information was received on. This
   redundancy is necessary to guarantee that flooding is performed
   reliably, but implies considerable overhead of utilized bandwidth and
   CPU time if neighboring routers are connected with more than one
   link.  This document describes a method that reduces this overhead.
-- 
Alex Zinin