Subject: L3PID

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:18:27 -0400

Hi,

I have questions for the L3PID.

It is an identifier of the layer 3 protocol using this path, it might not be the
IP protocol only, right?
As I know, if it is IP protocol using this path, the L3PID is 0x0800.

Thanks,

Julia

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:15:11 -0400

Hong Liao wrote:
> It is an identifier of the layer 3 protocol using this path, it might
> not be the IP protocol only, right?

Correct.  According to section draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-06.txt,
in section 4.2.1, 4.2.2 and 4.2.3, it says:

	L3PID

	   an identifier of the layer 3 protocol using this path.
	   Standard Ethertype values are used.

So, any value that is valid as a an Ethernet L3PID is valid here as
well.  If you want to forward non-IP data through an MPLS tunnel, you
may do so - just provide the appropriate Ethertype ID in your label
request object.

> As I know, if it is IP protocol using this path, the L3PID is 0x0800.

-- David