Subject: New ID- SFMC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:55:23 -0400

I just wanted to let you know that a new ID has been posted, entitled 
Scored Fair Metric Calculation. The intent of the draft is to present 
unified homogeneous metrics to routing protocols which are based on sets 
of heterogeneous metrics. SFMC allows forwarding selection to be based on 
paths that support the best mix of best metrics. More detail follows. Note 
that although the ID talks to interoperation with OSPF, (in a section 
dedicated to that) that section will be extensively revised. 

The URL is 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-giacalone-scored-fair-metric-routing-00.txt

-Spence

Abstract

   This memo defines a modular metric calculation system termed Scored
   Fair Metric Calculation (SFMC). SFMC can be integrated with Link
   State and Distance Vector routing protocols and their extensions
   [1,4,5,6,7], enabling them to find network paths that support the
   highest possible number of best metrics across a network. SFMC makes
   it possible to support and mix large sets of heterogeneous network
   features and capabilities.

   SFMC solves many of the issues inherent in routing protocols that
   attempt to use complex sets of metrics by decoupling raw metric data
   from the input side of routing protocols. Unlike the past, SFMC
   regards all metrics all the time, while treating all metrics equally
   (by default).

   Additionally, the SFMC architecture provides a simple and flexible
   interface for extensive manipulation of path selection.

   Please send comments to [email-masked].