Subject: Call For Papers: IEEE Network Magazine special issue on IP over F iber

From: "Ghani, Nasir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:58:25 -0700

http://www.comsoc.org/socstr/techcom/ntwrk/special/ip-over-fiber.html
Call For Papers 
IEEE Network Magazine
Special Issue on IP Over Fiber
Guest Editors:
Dr. Debanjan Saha, Tellium Optical Networks Systems, 2 Crescent Place,
Oceanport NJ 07757-0901
      Phone: (732) 923-4264, Fax: (732) 923-9804, Email: [email-masked]
Dr. Nasir Ghani, Sorrento Networks Inc., 9990 Mesa Rim Road, San Diego, CA
92121
     Phone: (858) 646-7192, Fax: (858) 558-3980, Email:
[email-masked]
Scope:
Recent advances in optical technologies have opened up a world of new
opportunities. Optical networks offer virtually unlimited bandwidth, a very
important ingredient for sustaining the organic and explosive growth of the
Internet. Massive deployment of optical networking gear is already underway
in long-haul networks. Falling component costs have also made metro and
access arena deployment prospects increasingly viable. In light of this new
technological trend "IP over Fiber" has become a topic of unprecedented
interest in academia and industry alike.
It is widely expected that the convergence of IP and Optical layers will be
the defining theme in the next phase of expansion of the Internet. The
emergence of the IP multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) framework as a
common control plane for data and optical layers is an early, but definitive
indication of that trend. This is clearly going to influence how future
network elements are designed, and how the networks are architected,
engineered and managed. A number of vendors are developing "hybrid" devices
that integrate IP and optical networking technologies in very innovative
ways. Various service providers are architecting their networks around these
new "convergent" network elements and planning for cost-effective migration
strategies from the current TDM-based infrastructures to the network of the
future. 
In order to gain a better understanding of this exciting new field of
telecommunications, this special issue of IEEE Network Magazine seeks to
survey, consolidate, and present the leading-edge research and engineering
work in the IP-over-fiber space. In particular, focused tutorial and survey
contributions are solicited on (but not restricted to) the following subject
categories: 
*	Multi-protocol Lambda Switching 
*	Traffic engineering across optical and data planes 
*	Constraint based lightpath routing 
*	IP routing protocol enhancements for lightpath routing 
*	Signaling protocols for lightpath provisioning 
*	IP centric restoration schemes for lightpaths 
*	Convergent network architectures, hybrid network elements 
*	IP centric service and network management solutions 
*	Migration and deployment scenarios/solutions 
*	Test-bed implementations, network trials, and related experimental
projects. 
Submission:
We plan to use electronic submission in either PostScript (.ps) or PDF file
formats. In order to submit a paper for consideration, authors should send
the following information to the guest editors via email ([email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> and [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>)
	Title, Abstract of the paper and list of authors. 
	Indicate which author is to serve as the primary correspondence
contact. 
	Please list affiliation, mailing address, phone/fax numbers, and
email address of the correspondence author. 
The correspondence author will then be provided with instructions to upload
the paper at a Website.
In order to ensure that the PostScript versions of the papers can be
printed, please use PostScript Version 2 or later. Also ensure that the
paper fits on "US Letter" size paper (8.5x11 inches). Reference only
Computer Modern or standard Adobe printer fonts (i.e., Courier, Times,
Roman, or Helvetica); other fonts may be used but must be included in the
PostScript file. 
Additional information including "Guidelines for authors" is available at
the IEEE Network Website:
<http://www.comsoc.org/socstr/techcom/ntwrk/authors.html>
Schedule: 
*	Paper Submission Deadline: November 15, 2000 
*	Feedback to Authors: February 15, 2001 
*	Final Manuscripts to Publisher: April 15, 2001 
*	Publication of Special Issue: July/August 2001