Subject: Use of the term "end-to-end"

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:28:25 -0400

I've observed in the MPLS meeting and on the mailing list that the words
"end-to-end" are frequently used with respect to various MPLS features and
mechanisms.

I would now like to ovserve that this usage is in conflict with the
conventional use of this term over many years in the Internet communty in
general, and the IETF in particular.

This leads to a number of misconceptions and a number of proposals that
attempt to apply MPLS as an "end-to-end" service or mechanism, which is not
IMHO appropriate.

Therefore I would like to plead that the MPLS comunity use the terms
"single-hop" and "LSP-endpoint-to-endpoint" as opposed to "hop-by-hop" and
"end-to-end" in drafts and RFCs on things like compression, VoIPoMPLS, etc.

Putting my lead BVDs on....

Dave.

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:37:27 -0400

LER-to-LER

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:56:35 -0700

"David R. Oran" wrote:
	[..]
> "end-to-end" in drafts and RFCs on things like compression, VoIPoMPLS, etc.

"edge to edge"

cheers,
gja

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:12:58 -0500

I'll observe that we went through a similar debate in diffserv and ended
up speaking, at least colloquially, of "edge-to-edge" to identify things
that happen between two edges of a diffserv domain, as opposed to between
two hosts.

  Brian