Subject: new NEXT ID posted

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:22:32 -0400

FYI, 

A new revision of the Network Engineering Extensions for OSPFv3 ID (which 
was presented in Pittsburgh) has been posted. The new revision makes a 
first attempt to address concerns presented at the meeting, including:

-Reducing network resource consumption 
-Preventing topological oscillations

Additionally, the new ID separates dynamic TLVs into a new LSA called the 
NEXT-Dynamic LSA, and modifies a few sub-level TLVs. 

The abstract follows. The URL for the new draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-giacalone-te-optical-next-01.txt

-Spence

Abstract

   This memo defines extensions to OSPFv3 [2] to provide support for
   Network Engineering. This set of extensions is termed Network
   Engineering eXTensions for OSPFv3, or NEXT. The term network
   engineering was chosen to impart NEXT's wide scope of functionality.

   NEXT enables OSPFv3 to discern and advertise holistic state and
   capability data. NEXT may be used to build and present complex "best
   network paths" to outside protocols such as CR-LDP and RSVP-TE.
   NEXT may also be used to support other (perhaps unforeseen) advanced
   topological and administrative processes.

   NEXT is specifically designed to support Traffic Engineering and
   Optical Routing while providing new features and functionality. Note
   that NEXT does not intend to alter native packet routing.

   Since NEXT inter-operates with OSPFv3, it is essentially network
   protocol independent. Therefore, when used with OSPFv3, NEXT can
   support advanced services without limiting networks to IPv4