Subject: Use of Hello in RSVP-TE

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:04:42 -0500

I've got a question regarding the Hello processing from the RSVP-TE
draft.

When Hellos are being exchanged between neighbors, what happens to
normal refreshes?  Do they continue as before?  If so, then what's the
point to using Hello at all?

If the refresh interval is increased (perhaps to days), then what
mechanism is used to handle the possibility of a tear message that gets
lost?

-- David

---

From: Arthi Ayyangar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:24:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> point to using Hello at all?
***> Normal Path and Resv refreshes do continue as before. The point of
using Hello is to detect a node  failure so that a neighboring RSVP node
can react to that fialure quickly. In the absence of this, a node needs to
wait till the soft state times out to detect a failure.

Hello was never meant to supress normal refreshes if that's wht you are u
mean.

> mechanism is used to handle the possibility of a tear message that gets
****> If the loss is because of a node/link failure, using Hellos (which
are sent frequently) a node will detect the failure quickly and decalre a
neighbor to be down.
(If a PathTear is getting lost, I assume so is a Path)

-arthi