Subject: Re: Route Exchange between CE and PE

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 01:47:43 -0800

Hi Rajesh,

The advertisements are done based on what is in the routing table. The
routes are inserted into the routing table by BGP. Sure you can think of
using RIP "shortcuts" and import/export routes by rip by itself but soon
you will see that to manage all of possible combinations of those
shortcuts will be just extremely messy form the implementation
perspecitve !!!

In fact what you proposing/asking about is implementation detail
internal to the box.

R.

> Rajesh Saluja wrote:
> 
> Robert Raszuk wrote:
> 
> > > Wayne wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am reading the RFC2547bis and came up with a question for route
> > > exchange between the CE and PE. Suppose there are 2 CEs belongs to
> > > different VRFs and connect to the same PE. RIP is used to exchange
> > > routing. Though there is 2 different VRFs in the PE, would the RIP
> > > process in it re-advertise the learned routes to the other CE in
> > > another VPN?
> >
> > Not really. RIP on PE-CE1 would be isolated by implementation with the
> > RIP PE-CE2. Re-advertising or inter-vrf importing is done via bgp based
> > on the ext comunities values.
> >
> >
> 
> In the above example, If these two VRFs have at least one common VPN,
> shouldn't RIP readvertise the routes learnt from one CE to other CE?
> 
> Thanks,
> Rajesh