Subject: Difficulty about IPv4 Prefix in Explicit route Object in RSVP-TE

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:22:45 +0530 (IST)

This qeustion was asked by some person earlier but somehow i did not see
the answers in the mailing lists. If i have missed the answer then please
provide pointers to mail archives.

I wanted to know why the format of the IPv4 Prefix is that way:

 RSVP ERO subobject IPv4 address:-
 
 In RSVP-TE, the format of subobject 1: IPv4 address (4.4.1.1) is
 
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
           Type | Length | IPv4 address
-----------------------------------------------------------------
        IPv4 address | Prefix Length | Flags
------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Can somebody explain to me: What is the advantage to split the IPv4
address in two words? From the
implementation point of view, it should be much easy to put IPv4 address   
in a single word.

Thanx in advance

Pras

---

From: Guangzhi Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:17:15 -0500

Pras:

Thank you for your response. I asked this question several times. But no body
provides any answer yet. I want to know the answer. Is there any good reason
to design in this format ? Somebody please !!!

-- Guangzhi