Subject: RE: MPLS for UDLR

From: eduard metz <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Nov 00 11:15:50 MET

Hi Robert,

interesting issue, since MPLS LSP are basically uni-directional I think this
should work (although I'm not really in to UDLR ...).

You may want to redirect your question to [email-masked], as it
concerns some implementation specific issues. You probably will get better
feedback on that list ...

cheers, Eduard

-----------------------

I am looking for ways to implement certain traffic engineering and QoS
features over satellite links using MPLS.

Does any router support Unidirectional Link Routing (UDLR) using MPLS as the
tunneling encapsulation? I have tried this with Cisco 7200 and 7500 series
boxes (with latest T-train IOS) without success. It seems that UDLR is able
to use only GRE tunnels. In my view, MPLS would be ideally suited to this
purpose because it is lightweight (only 4 bytes) and satellite bandwidth
tends to be scarce.

In general, I have had trouble getting MPLS TE tunnels to work when the
physical interfaces for send and receive are different. This may be more of
a problem with OSPF than with the tunnel mechansim itself. Any thoughts?

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

---

From: "Alexander Marhold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:28 +0100

As I have seen no other answers my assumption on that

LSP is unidirectional, but RSVP is not,
RSVP tries to send the PATH message using the ERO ( Path information ) in
the reverse direction. This fails on an UDLR.
For me it seems that RSVP would need additional information (maybe even an
extension)to successfully take care of that problem.

IMHO this is a general RSVP problem and thus maybe an issue for the
corresponding IETF WG's dealing with RSVP.

But maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on that

regards
Alexander

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of eduard
> metz
> Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 12:16 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: MPLS for UDLR
>
>
>
> Hi Robert,
>