Subject: RE: LSP setup using RSVP-TE

From: "Sanford, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:01:57 -0500

There is a way for the ingress LER to know.  You need to implement ERO and
RRO.  Either way, you will get the RESV message or you should get an error
of a failed node.

Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: Vadlamani rao [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 11:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LSP setup using RSVP-TE

Hello,

What happens if the Path message using the RSVP-TE mechanism is lost in the
network ? Currently, if I understand correctly there is no way for the
ingress LSR (which initiates the LSP setup) to know about it, since the
refresh timer starts only after the RESV is received. If this is true, the
HELLO mechanism specified in the draft should have been mandatory to be
implemented and not optional. 

Could somebody clarify this ?

Thanks
Raovrn

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:23:20 -0500

"Sanford, Bill" wrote:
> 
> There is a way for the ingress LER to know.  You need to implement ERO
> and RRO.  Either way, you will get the RESV message or you should get
> an error of a failed node.

Why?

This assumes that an entire switch (or interface) has failed, and has
been down long enough for its neighbors to detect the failure (perhaps
via routing table changes).

Consider, however, a router that is heavily loaded and is running low on
memory.  Carrier on the link remains up.  Routing protocols may continue
updating each other.  Even RSVP Hello messages may continue exchaning
OK.  But the low-memory may result in some degree of packet loss.  If an
RSVP path message is received, and dropped due to lack of memory, how is
the previous-hop router going to detect this and generate an error?

The answer is that it won't.  But it shouldn't matter, because the
normal soft-state mechanism will refresh the state, hopefully
successfully on the next try.

-- David