Subject: API

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:33:10 +0530 (IST)

I  wanted to know whether just as there are drafts for RAPI (RSVP API)
is thereanything  like RSVP-TE API on which u can  have an application
running.
An application which will allow us to send commands like setting up of
LSPs etc.

Please let me know.

Bye

Pras

                     _____________________________                  
                   _ |ANANDPRASANNA GAITONDE     | _ 
                  / )|COMP. SCIENCE & AUTOMATION |( \
                 / / |D-7,IISc HOSTEL            | \ \
                / /  |INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE|  \ \
              _( (_  |BANGALORE-560012.          |  _) )_
              (((\ \>|_/->___________________<-\_|</ /)))
              (\\\\ \_/ /LAB Ph.(080)3092906  \ \_/ ////)
               \       /HOSTEL Ph.-            \       /  
                \    _/     (080)3092452        \_    /     
                /   /-----------------------------\   \                  
               /  Email Id-                            \ 
              /      [email-masked]         \
	     ---------------------------------------------
            -----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
		
*************************************************************************  
| | | | __ ___   _____     __ _    _ __ (_) ___ ___     __| | __ _ _   _
| |_| |/ _` \ \ / / _ \   / _` |  | '_ \| |/ __/ _ \   / _` |/ _` | | | |
|  _  | (_| |\ V /  __/  | (_| |  | | | | | (_|  __/  | (_| | (_| | |_| |
|_| |_|\__,_| \_/ \___|   \__,_|  |_| |_|_|\___\___|   \__,_|\__,_|\__, |
*************************************************************************

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 10:26:48 -0500

> An application which will allow us to send commands like setting up of

As far as I know, none of the drafts have even touched upon the concept
of running LSPs to the desktop.  Everything is router-to-router, where
such APIs are meaningless.

-- David

---

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 21:04:59 +0530 (IST)

Yes sir,

thats right.  Setting up of LSP is from router to router only. But lets
say that a person  is operating on a ingress router, and he wants to setup
an LSP to an egress router. Shouldnt there be a command line interface for
him to specify a command to setup an LSP. (This would mean we have to
think of enhancing the API of RSVP.

Please let me know

Thanx in advance

Pras

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 10:52:12 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>
> think of enhancing the API of RSVP.

The IETF never specifies APIs or user level command interfaces.  This
applies to all IETF standards work not just MPLS.  Please familiarize
yourself better with the IETF and the work of this WG before bothering
the WG further.

Curtis

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 10:58:32 -0500

Gaitonde Anandprasanna wrote:
> 
> thats right.  Setting up of LSP is from router to router only.

Then there's no need for an application-level API.  The interfaces that
the router already has for configuring everything else (command line,
SNMP, whatever) are sufficient.

> But lets say that a person  is operating on a ingress router, and he
> wants to setup an LSP to an egress router. Shouldnt there be a command
> line interface for him to specify a command to setup an LSP.

Every vendor has interfaces for setting up LSPs.  And these interfaces
are usually tied directly to the protocol implementations on the switch.

Since users will never be installing their own UI code into switches,
there's no need for a generalized API.  There is certainly no need for a
standardized cross-platform API.

If you are developing an MPLS suite and need a user interface, go invent
one.  If your company already has an established UI, then go add some
MPLS/RSVP commands to it.  If you think all switches from all vendors
should have identical user interfaces, keep on dreaming - it ain't never
gonna happen.

-- David

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:17:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> applies to all IETF standards work not just MPLS.

RFC 2025. RFC 2744. RFC 2853...

> Please familiarize

twit.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 09:23:59 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Ll
> RFC 2025. RFC 2744. RFC 2853...

Lloyd,

Security services has been an exception and an unwelcome exception to
some and there is one service location API.  As a rule the IETF wants
to stay out of APIs.  This has been discussed on the IETF list and at
the open pleniaries.

The transport and routing areas have explicitly stayed away from APIs.
For example, there is no IETF API for per microflow RSVP even though
this provides user services.  The sockets layer is also not
standardized for unicast or multicast.

Curtis