Subject: RSVP vs LDP

From: "Tom Tang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:33:02 -0800

Hello :

    Being relatively new to this WG, I heard that the majority
 of MPLS delpoyments are going out with RSVP support.  Is there, or
 will there be a migration to using LDP in the future ?  If people 
 can forward me any pertinent past discussions on this topic, it'd be
 greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

 - Tom

Tom Tang
IP Unity
1575 McCandless Drive
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 957-1154 (w)
(408) 957-0823 (f)

---

From: Jeremy Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:13:00 +1100

Tom,

> greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

There is no dispute that LDP should be used as a label distribution
protocol for hop-by-hop routed MPLS.

Two alternatives label distribution protocols for explicitly-routed
MPLS and traffic engineering are RSVP+extensions and LDP+CR-LDP. 

There is no conflict between the use of RSVP+extensions for
traffic engineering, and the use of LDP for hop-by-hop routed MPLS;
they may be used simultaneously. So, RSVP users may use LDP without
migrating away from RSVP.

Regards,

Jeremy Lawrence