Subject: Fatal Errors in LDP

From: Abhijit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:36:37 +0530 (IST)

Hi all,

In the LDP draft, following error codes are specified as Fatal Errors. 
(refer section 3.5.1.2)

Bad LDP Identifier
Bad Protocol Version
Bad PDU Length
Bad Message Length
Bad TLV Length
Malformed TLV value

An LSR receiving Notification message with above status codes is supposed
to cleanup the LDP session along with the learned FEC-LabelMappings.. as
explained in section 3.5.1

This could lead to session cleanup even if one message is malformed. Is it
not a bit harsh? Instead can it be so that a count of error notifications
for sessions be maintained and when the Fatal notifications reach that
count cleanup the session with the peer. Can an implementation choose to
do so? 

Thanks and regards.

-abhijit

---

From: Bob Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 07:28:18 -0500

Abhijit,

> count cleanup the session with the peer. Can an implementation choose to

The rationale for making these particular errors fatal is that when
one of them occurs there is something very seriously wrong and there
is no obvious way the LSR detecting the condition can recover.

Bob