Subject: Hop Count TLV

From: Maksymilian Milkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:01:47 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

this is Hop Count TLV encoding (from Internet Draft "LDP Specification
draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-11.txt):

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0|0| Hop Count (0x0103)  | Length 				   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | HC Value      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

HC Value is described as "1 octet unsigned integer hop count value". OK
Length field is not described and i have doubts whether it is needed -
-  HC field is always 1 octet long.
Am I wrong ?

Thanks in advance,
Maksymilian Milkowski

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:09:45 -0500

Maksymilian Milkowski,

    You're not exactly wrong.  But be aware of the
(expanded) meaning of _T_ype-_L_ength-_V_alue.
There are lots of  TLV types with well defined length
associated with the type.  None-the-less, it is very
much simpler to always include a length field.  Oh,
and by the way, don't get the length wrong.  :-)

--
Eric Gray