Subject: Question on Non support of ERO Object.

From: Arumugam R <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:57:26 +0530

Hello,
In section 4.3.7 Non support of ERO in Rsvp-Lsp-Tunnel-07 draft, it is said 
that
An RSVP router that does not recognize the EXPLICIT_ROUTE object
   sends a PathErr with the error code "Unknown object class" toward the
   sender.  This causes the path setup to fail.  The sender should
   notify management that a LSP cannot be established and possibly take
   action to continue the reservation without the EXPLICIT_ROUTE or via
   a different explicit route.
My question is how the sender knows that the intermediate node does not 
support ERO object alone and support other TE objects such as RSVP-TE 
session, Label Request Object etc.
The sender once it receives "Unknown Object class", if my assumption is 
right it has to assume that the intermediate node supports only RSVP and 
not RSVP-TE. Hence it will try to establish a path via a different explicit 
route and not through the same intermediate node without an ERO, unless 
otherwise it is sure of the behavior of the node.
I think the statement underlined can be removed, else there is any specific 
purpose for keeping the above statement.
Any reply from authors.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Aru
------------------------------------------------------------------------  
--------
Arumugam R
Senior Software Engineer,
Future Software Ltd.
Chennai - 35
Phone-4330550 Ext-363
------------------------------------------------------------------------  
--------