Subject: [mpls] RFC 6512 on Using Multipoint LDP When the Backbone Has No Route to the Root

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:53:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6512

        Title:      Using Multipoint LDP When the 
                    Backbone Has No Route to the 
                    Root 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands, E. Rosen,
                    M. Napierala, N. Leymann
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],      
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 24352
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-recurs-fec-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6512.txt

The control protocol used for constructing Point-to-Multipoint and
Multipoint-to-Multipoint Label Switched Paths ("MP LSPs") contains a
field that identifies the address of a "root node".  Intermediate
nodes are expected to be able to look up that address in their
routing tables.  However, this is not possible if the route to the root 
node is a BGP route and the intermediate nodes are part of a BGP-free 
core.  This document specifies procedures that enable an
MP LSP to be constructed through a BGP-free core.  In these
procedures, the root node address is temporarily replaced by an
address that is known to the intermediate nodes and is on the path to
the true root node.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC