Subject: Re: [mpls] review of draft-zheng-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth

From: "Kamran Raza (skraza)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:56:10 +0000

I've reviewed the draft draft-zheng-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth mainly from
LDP point of view and here is the summary of my review:

1. Draft Proposal: 

The draft describes a mechanism to secure the LDP Hello messages using
some hashing algorithms. While this draft covers both the basic (link) and
extended (tgt) hellos, its main beneficiary is tgt-hellos.

2. Protocol correctness:

a- The document has lot more details on crypto area than LDP side of
things.
b- In some text, I found bit inconsistent/incorrect use of LDP adjacency
and session terms - e.g. "Periodic Hello messages are sent to keep the LDP
sessions alive."
c- The new TLV is defined with U/F bits as 0/0. Since this is an extension
to base spec, this TLV should be defined as U/F as 1/0, IMO.
d- increasing sequence number in subsequent Hellos: some text needed on
seq number wrapping.
e- the procedures for hashing etc are well defined, but I believe that LDP
procedures need more info + clarifications (e.g on mismatch scenarios,
capable/incapable scenario)
f- The description on Authentication key was not entirely clear to me.

3. Summary of review:

a- is document coherent?
Good details on crypto area, less on LDP side. Suggest to cut down some
details in crypto, and add some more details in LDP sections

b. is it useful? 
Yes.

c. is it likely to be actually useful in operational networks?
I think so.

d. is technically sound ?
Need minor work/clarification.

e. is ready to be considered for WG adoption ?
I believe that we may need one more revision of the doc to address above
comments, and then it should be ready for WG adoption call.

[ I can sync up with authors on my comments to help them understand
  Things which were not clear to me and/or needed some re-work]

Rgds,
--Kamran

On 12-06-15 3:44 AM, "Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Kamran,
>
>can you review draft-zheng-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth as part of the
>process to adopt the document as a working group document.
>
>/Loa