Subject: [mpls] RFC 6720 on The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) for the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6720

        Title:      The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism 
                    (GTSM) for the Label Distribution Protocol 
                    (LDP) 
        Author:     C. Pignataro, R. Asati
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 17823
        Updates:    RFC5036

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6720.txt

The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) describes a generalized
use of a packet's Time to Live (TTL) (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6) to
verify that the packet was sourced by a node on a connected link,
thereby protecting the router's IP control plane from CPU
utilization-based attacks.  This technique improves security and is
used by many protocols.  This document defines the GTSM use for the
Label Distribution Protocol (LDP).

This specification uses a bit reserved in RFC 5036 and therefore
updates RFC 5036.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC