Subject: [mpls] draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:11:25 -0400

Kireeti and I have received comments from Andy Malis and Paul Doolan
(off list) regarding draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding (MPLS Forwarding
Compliance and Performance Requirements).  The next draft iteration
will reflect these comments.

In addition it occurred to me that we need to mention in the draft
that the labels which are POPed at an LSP egress SHOULD NOT be
considered in the hash.  The reason for this is that a different path
could be taken if the prior hop changes, such as through reroute of a
PSC LSP carrying the prior hop, or FRR in a prior hop, or MPLS-TP
protection state change in a server layer carrying the prior hop.  The
downstream hop is only affected if UHP is in effect (generally
affecting only MPLS-TP).  The condition is "labels which are POPed at
an LSP egress", intentionally excluding labels POPed at a LSP PHP hop
from this rule.  This rule is a NOOP unless a non-MPLS-TP LSP uses UHP
for some reason.

Curtis

------- Forwarded Message

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 6.1 \(1498\))
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 17:30:37 -0700
References: <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [mpls] Fwd: New Version Notification for
	draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding-00.txt

Hi Folks,

I'd spoken on the issue of deep label stacks at the last IETF, and
there was interest from chip suppliers, vendors and service providers.
Curtis just submitted the draft; it goes beyond just deep label
stacks.  There are suggestions in the draft on aspects of implementing
MPLS forwarding, as well as questions to ask regarding an
implementation, and things to test.

Please read and comment to the list.

If you (that includes MPLS WG chairs and ADs) could also formulate
your thoughts on what type of doc (Info, BCP, PS) this should be, that
would be very helpful in moving this discussion forward.

Thanks,
Kireeti.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding-00.txt
> Date: October 8, 2012 16:49:08PDT
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
>
>
> A new version of I-D, draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding-00.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Curtis Villamizar and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Filename:        draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding
> Revision:        00
> Title:           MPLS Forwarding Compliance and Performance Requirements
> Creation date:   2012-10-08
> WG ID:           Individual Submission
> Number of pages: 17
> URL:       http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding-00.txt
> Status:    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding
> Htmlized:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-villamizar-mpls-forwarding-00
>
>
> Abstract:
>   This document provides guidelines for implementors regarding MPLS
>   forwarding and a basis for evaluations of forwarding implementations.
>   Guidelines cover basic MPLS forwarding, forwarding when a deep MPLS
>   label stack is encountered, MPLS UHP operations which require one or
>   more label POP plus a PUSH, guidelines for hashing an MPLS stack and
>   payload for multipath, and conformance and performance requirements
>   for recent pseudowire and MPLS standards.
>
>
>
>
> The IETF Secretariat
>