Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping for Pseudowire FECs Advertised over IPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-pw-lsp-ping-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 09:26:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping for Pseudowire FECs Advertised over
   IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-pw-lsp-ping-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-pw-lsp-ping/

Technical Summary

   Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping
   and traceroute mechanisms are commonly used to detect and isolate
   data plane failures in all MPLS LSPs including Pseudowire (PW) LSPs.
   The PW LSP Ping and traceroute elements, however, are not specified
   for IPv6 address usage.

   This document extends the PW LSP Ping and traceroute mechanisms so
   they can be used with IPv6 PWs, and updates RFC 4379.

Working Group Summary

   There is a general agreement in the MPLS WG that some of our 
   protocols need to be extended to meet requirements present in IPv6 
   networks. This is one of such extension to LSP Ping. 

   There is good support for the document in the MPLS WG.

   This document updates RFC 4379 that was developed in the MPLS WG
   and which covers LSPs and pseudowires. Nevertheless, this document
   was specifically drawn to the attention of the PWE3 WG to ensure cross-
   review.

Document Quality

   We know of several implementations or intents to implement this 
   draft. 

Personnel: 

   Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd. 
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.