Subject: [mpls] MIB Dr. review of draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-mib-01

From: Joan Cucchiara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 21:20:28 -0500

Hello Authors,

This draft has come a long way since the previous version.  Thanks for that.

Please make sure the MIB compiles with smilint prior to MIB review as it is
difficult to review a
MIB Module that doesn't compile.

Also, please add compliance statements and conformance groups.

Comments below.
Thanks,
-Joan

output from smilint compiler:
------------------------------
While processing your request the following errors and/or warnings have
been found:

mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:76: [5] {date-year-2digits} warning: date
specification `2016092600Z' contains a two-digit year representing `1920'
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:76: [2] {date-month} date specification
`2016092600Z' contains an illegal month
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:76: [2] {date-hour} date specification `2016092600Z'
contains an illegal hour
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:76: [4] {date-in-past} warning: date specification
`2016092600Z' predates the SMI standard

Then after that was fixed, more errors:

mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:268: [2] {identifier-redefined} redefinition of
identifier `mplsLdpPeerCapabilityEntry'
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:254: [6] {previous-definition} info: previous
definition of `mplsLdpPeerCapabilityEntry'
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:268: [1] {internal-other} syntax error, unexpected
COLON_COLON_EQUAL, expecting OBJECT
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:271: [5] {internal-flushing} warning: flushing
recent incorrect declaration, see previous error(s)
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:279: [4] {hyphen-in-label} warning: named bit
`upstream-label-assignment' must not include a hyphen in SMIv2
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:283: [4] {hyphen-in-label} warning: named bit
`prot-lsr' must not include a hyphen in SMIv2
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:286: [4] {hyphen-in-label} warning: named bit
`node-prot' must not include a hyphen in SMIv2
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:386: [1] {internal-other} syntax error, unexpected
UPPERCASE_IDENTIFIER, expecting COLON_COLON_EQUAL
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:417: [5] {internal-flushing} warning: flushing
recent incorrect declaration, see previous error(s)
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:482: [2] {description-missing} description missing
in object definition
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:482: [1] {internal-other} syntax error, unexpected
MAX_ACCESS, expecting COLON_COLON_EQUAL
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:493: [5] {internal-flushing} warning: flushing
recent incorrect declaration, see previous error(s)
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:1060: [1] {internal-other} syntax error, unexpected
'}', expecting UPPERCASE_IDENTIFIER or LOWERCASE_IDENTIFIER or NUMBER
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:1060: [5] {internal-flushing} warning: flushing
recent incorrect declaration, see previous error(s)
mibs/MPLS-MLDP-STD-MIB:1061: [1] {internal-other} syntax error, unexpected
STATUS

General Comments (please check throughout document)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*) Need to get this to compile using smilint.

*) When other documents (RFCs or drafts) are mentioned, there should be a
reference notation given.  Please fix this throughout the draft.

*) Naming Conventions:  Please refer to RFC4181 (MIB guidelines).
Basically, the naming conventions used in this MIB Module do not follow
the recommended naming conventions (Appendix C).

Prefix should be used throughout for all objects/tables/entries etc.
So "mplsMldp" needs to be used consistently.

*) Think there are more AUGMENTS relationships between RFC3815 Tables and
Tables in this MIB Module
but they are not defined as AUGMENTS within the MIB Module but are
described as such within the
document sections.   Please make sure that the relationships between these
tables are clarified.
e.g.  mplsMldpPeerCapabilityTable and mplsLdpPeerTable

Section 2.

Remove the first paragraph.  Think this is understood.

   [[CREF1: The title and text for this section has been copied from the
   official boilerplate, and should not be modified unless the official
   boilerplate text from the OPS Area web site has changed.  See RFC4818
   section 3.1 for a discussion of the boilerplate section.]]

Section 4. Overview

*) Make sure the RFCs/drafts listed are referenced as being in the
References Section (probably the Normative References section).  Some of
them are, some of the are not.  Be consistent.

*) Not very helpful to list a bunch of documents and not specify which
features (i.e. specify the sections/sub-sections) appear in which
documents.
We already can see the list of documents in the References section so
unless features/sections/subsections from these docs are specified per
document, then don't see this as adding information.

*) Also, some out of date listings, so need to update these.
ietf-rtgwg-mofrr is an RFC as of 8/2015
ietf-mpls-mldp-node-protection is an RFC as of 1/2016

*) typo:  ...stats per per Interface

Section 6.2

   mplsMldpSessionStatsTable : This table contains the number of mLDP
   FECs received and advertised to particular LDP session.

s/to particular LDP session/ to a particular LDP session/

Section 7.

   There are ten scalars, listed below are defined for this MIB module.

*) above sentence is awkward.  Maybe something like:

The following scalars are defined in this MIB Module:

Section 8.1

*) s/from LDP peer/from an LDP peer/

Section 8.5

typo in section's title
s/Upstreaam/Upstream/

Section 8.6

s/gives the information/gives information/
s/about number/about the number of/  (2 occurrences)

s/received on particualr/received on a particular/

Please note:  will review the other sections once the MIB compiles and
compliance statements are added.

References Section:
*) Some references (drafts) out of date and RFCs are out of order
References.  Please update.

Other
*) Please remove Appendix A and Appendix B (and regenerate the Table of
Contents.)