Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Shared-Ring protection (MSRP) mechanism for ring topology' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-shared-ring-protection-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:36:15 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Shared-Ring protection (MSRP) mechanism for ring topology'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-shared-ring-protection-06.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-shared-ring-protection/

Technical Summary

This document describes requirements, architecture and solutions for MPLS-TP
Shared Ring Protection (MSRP) in a ring topology for point-to-point (P2P) services. 
The MSRP mechanism is described to meet the ring protection requirements as
described in RFC 5654.  This document defines the Ring Protection Switch (RPS)
Protocol to be used for coordinating protection behavior of nodes on MPLS ring.

Working Group Summary

Support for the document in the working group is somewhat divided with a
fair number strongly supporting it and remaining participants not objecting to
it.  Progression in the working group since its adoption has been smooth.

Document Quality

There is at least one implementation. We have started an implementation
poll and will update the Write-Up once we have further information.
The review of the document has been both good and thorough.  In addition to
review by the authors and contributors through 10 revisions, the draft has been
reviewed by five non-authors, including the document shepherd.
The draft has been forwarded to ITU-T SG15 for review on several occasions (a
number of the authors and contributors are, or have been, active in SG15).  No
recent comments have been received (most ITU comments were handled prior
to adopting the draft as an MPLS Working Group Draft).

No further specialist reviews are necessary.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Eric Gray
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard