Subject: [mpls] draft-mirskies straddling three working groups

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:35:15 +0200

Folks,

We have three drafts from Greg, they overlap in some fashion between
our working groups. I think it would be good if we could agree on how
the work is divided between the wg's, or maybe if if we should keep the
drafts at one place.

The drafts are:

draft-mirsky-bfd-mpls-demand-01
BFD in Demand Mode over Point-to-Point MPLS LSP
	
draft-mirsky-mpls-p2mp-bfd-01
BFD for Multipoint Networks over Point-to-Multi-Point MPLS LSP
  	
draft-mirsky-spring-bfd-01
Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) in Segment Routing Networks 
Using MPLS Dataplane

I could can think of doing this in different ways, obviously (if we
want to progress the draft).

We could do:

draft-mirsky-bfd-mpls-demand-01 in bfd
draft-mirsky-mpls-p2mp-bfd-01 in mpls; and
draft-mirsky-spring-bfd-01 in spring

That would obviously require quite a bit of coordination.

We could also do all of the in one working group, and if we do that
I think MPLS is the the stuckee. If someone else want to pick up the
draft I would not have strong objections, as long as we make sure
we have enough coordination.

In the MPLS wg we appoint a document shepherd prior to MPLS-RT review
(part of the adoption process). The shepherd then run the entire process
of adopting the document (with support from the mpls chairs; and we
don't start the process until the shepherd is reasonably sure that the
adoption will take place.

If (big if) we decide to take all documents to MPLS, then I'd like to
have a shepherd from the other working groups for "their" documents.

Opinions, ideas?

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 15:45:21 +0200

Working Group,

The intent with this mail was to send it to the chairs of the three 
working groups, for coordination. However, if anyone on the mpls wg 
mailing list has an opinion, it is fine to send that to the chairs.

/Loa

--