Subject: [mpls] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3107bis-02: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 11:38:59 -0700

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3107bis-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3107bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The security considerations section should at least mention that none of the
tunnel methods provide encryption or authentication of those mentioned earlier
in the document (Section 4: LSP, IP, GRE, & UDP).  Although this isn't listed
as a discuss, I'd appreciate the comment being addressed with an update to the
text (1-2 sentences at most).  Thank you.

---

From: Eric C Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:12:35 -0400

I've modified the Security Considerations section (in the next rev, -03) 
to contain the following paragraph:

-----------

    If a particular tunnel encapsulation does not provide integrity and
    authentication, it is possible that a data packet's label stack can
    be modified, through error or malfeasance, while the packet is in
    flight.  This can result in misdelivery of the packet.  It should be
    noted that the tunnel encapsulation (MPLS) most commonly used in
    deployments of this specification does not provide integrity or
    authentication; neither do the other tunnel encapsulations mentioned
    in Section 4.
--------------

I think this addresses your comment.

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:15:01 -0400

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Eric C Rosen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I've modified the Security Considerations section (in the next rev, -03) to
> contain the following paragraph:
>
> -----------
>

Eric,

Thank you.  I think this is helpful text to explain the considerations.

Best regards,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen