Subject: [mpls] RFC 8256 on Requirements for Hitless MPLS Path Segment Monitoring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:49:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8256

        Title:      Requirements for Hitless MPLS Path 
                    Segment Monitoring 
        Author:     A. D'Alessandro, 
                    L. Andersson,
                    S. Ueno, 
                    K. Arai,
                    Y. Koike
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 34052 
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8256

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8256

One of the most important Operations, Administration, and Maintenance
(OAM) capabilities for transport-network operation is fault
localization.  An in-service, on-demand path segment monitoring
function of a transport path is indispensable, particularly when the
service monitoring function is activated only between endpoints.
However, the current segment monitoring approach defined for MPLS
(including the MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP)) in RFC 6371
"Operations, Administration, and Maintenance Framework for MPLS-Based
Transport Networks" has drawbacks.  This document provides an
analysis of the existing MPLS-TP OAM mechanisms for the path segment
monitoring and provides requirements to guide the development of new
OAM tools to support Hitless Path Segment Monitoring (HPSM).

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC