Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'LDP Extensions to Support Maximally Redundant Trees' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-mrt-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:03:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LDP Extensions to Support Maximally Redundant Trees'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-mrt-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-mrt/

Technical Summary

The document specify an extensions to the Label Distribution
 Protocol (LDP) that support the creation of label-switched paths
 for Maximally Redundant Trees (MRT).  The most obvious use of MRT
 is for Fast-Resoute for IP/LDP uni- and multicast. This is 
 referred to as MRT-FRR.

 This document specifies the ability of LDP to advertise MRT 
 Capability and the associated behavior expected for LSRs (Label 
 Switching Routers) and LERs (Label Edge Routers) advertising the
 MRT Capability.

 MRT-FRR uses LDP multi-topology extensions and requires three
 different multi-topology IDs to be allocated from the MPLS MT-ID
 space.

Working Group Summary

The working group supported this document. The progress was a
bit slow, since we were waiting for other MRT documents in 
other working groups.

Document Quality

We are aware of two prototype implementations of this protocol 
specification. An implementation poll has been sent out to the 
working group, as soon as we have more information we will update
the shepherd write-up.
 
The document has been through the normal wg process, no other types
are necessary.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Loa Andersson
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard