Subject: [MSEC] elliptic-curve cryptography in MIKEY?

From: Euchner Martin ICN M SR 3 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:53:17 +0100

Dear experts,

MIKEY-05 and MIKEY-DHMAC-00 currently deploy classical RSA/Diffie-Hellman
asymmetric cryptographic operations but do not deploy ECC.

Nevertheless, it is well known that ECC yields significant performance
improvements with shorter key material while at the same time it is widely
believed that ECC preserves a comparable security level as least as good as
the "classical" mod p RSA/DH cryptography. The gains become particularly
attractive for long and very long primes (>= 1024 bit).

I believe that ECC techniques are particularly attractive in multimedia key
management protocols for secure real-time multimedia applications as under
scope of MIKEY.
Thus, I see gains in the MIKEY key management protocols when deploying ECC
techniques for digital signatures (MIKEY) and/or for DH operations (MIKEY,
~DHHMAC).

I would like to hear if there is interest and/or support for that and
whether it is considered worthwhile to enhance MIKEY protocols by ECC
techniques as an extension?

With kind regards

Martin Euchner.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Dipl.-Inf.                     Rapporteur Q.G/SG16
| Martin Euchner                 Phone: +49 89 722 55790
| Siemens AG.....................Fax  : +49 89 722 62366
| ICN M SR 3                     mailto:[email-masked]
|                                mailto:[email-masked]
| Hofmannstr. 51                 Intranet:
http://intranet.icn.siemens.de/marketing/cs27/topics/security/
| D-81359 Muenchen               Internet: http://www.siemens.de/
| __________________
| Germany     
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec