Subject: [MSEC] any overwhelming advantages of distributed key generation?

From: "QinKe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:06:06 +0800

Dear folks:

	I’d like to know, are there any overwhelming advantages of distributed key generation? In other words, is it necessary that all users can take part in key generation?
 	Thank you for your reply in advance!

　　　　　　　　QinKe
　　　　　　　　[email-masked]
　　　　　　　　　　2005-09-15
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: George Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:18:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

A distributed key generation algorithm is best suited for small-scale
groups that have nodes with enough computational resources for group
Diffie-Hellman key agreement and enough memory to store state information
about all of the group's members. There also has to be a trusted mechanism
to announce the membership join/leave events and the DH public keys.

In contrast, large-scale groups usually have a central trusted group key
server.

the answer to your question is really dependent on your secure multicast
application's requirements.

what is your application?

hth,
	George

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, QinKe wrote:

> Dear folks:
>
> 	I¡¯d like to know, are there any overwhelming advantages of distributed key generation? In other words, is it necessary that all users can take part in key generation?
> ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡QinKe
> ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡[email-masked]
> ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡2005-09-15
>

---

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:12:02 -0700

QinKe,

there are various goals that are worthwhile and which can be met with 
distributed key generation.  For example, the key generation algorithm 
can be designed so that its output is uniformly random as long as the 
random source used by at least one of the members is actually uniformly 
random (to defend against bad random sources).  Another goal is that no 
single member can "control" the key, that is, can uniquely determine 
what the key is.  People who work in this area can undoubtedly cite 
many more goals.

Of course, the benefits of distributed key distribution must be weighed 
against its disadvantages.  Many such schemes have a high complexity, 
and many have a high computational cost.

David

On Sep 15, 2005, at 6:06 AM, QinKe wrote:

> Dear folks:
>
> 	I’d like to know, are there any overwhelming advantages of 
> distributed key generation? In other words, is it necessary that all 
> users can take part in key generation?